Whirlpool Water Heaters

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Whirlpool Water Heaters Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whirlpool Water Heaters?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whirlpool?

Original review: April 2, 2016

Water heater purchased in 2011 and is already broken. Called the hotline and they were rude. Told me I need a $199 part. I read all the reviews and it seems that Whirlpool has made a bad name for themselves with the water heaters. They were not willing to work with me.

Original review: April 2, 2016

Installed this gas water heater in my attic and the Honeywell thermostat does not work. After talking to a handful of plumbing companies they said Whirlpool must have put out a bad batch of water heaters because they get three calls a day for Honeywell thermostats that don't work on Whirlpool water heaters. WTF Whirlpool??

Original review: March 23, 2016

In 2013, my husband purchased a Whirlpool Hot Water Heater model #E2F40RD045V 40 gal. from Lowe's in Vancouver, WA. On 12/12/15, had to call a plumber, the hot water heater was intermittent hot/cold. He flushed it, checked all power connections and changed the elements. On 3/18/16, NO hot water. Having a 6 year warranty, I called Whirlpool. They gave all kinds of excuses and told me to try a bunch of tests. By the time I got back to call them they were closed. I called them again on Monday 3/21/16 and said nothing worked and it had popped the breaker. They said change the elements. I told them I had just changed the elements 3 months before. I told them it was faulty wiring. They said the top element must be faulty. I gave up at that point and called the plumber. He came right out the next day.

I had purchased a Rheem hot water heater to install and asked him to check the Whirlpool hot water heater elements he installed before he removed it. That is when it was discovered that under the insulation around the bottom element it was all scorched from FAULTY wiring. I called Whirlpool again and told them I could send them a picture and they said don't bother and immediately gave me an RA to return the hot water heater to Lowe's. I told them I had already purchased another hot water heater and it was not a Whirlpool. I am going to request a refund.

Original review: March 7, 2016

I bought a Whirlpool water heater from Lowe's in the fall of 2009. For the first 4 years it worked fine. Since the spring of 2015, it started to stop working. I called the company, and they recommend their contractors to fix it. In less than a year, I had it repaired at least ten times. I spent more to repair it than I bought it. This water heater has a 10-year warranty on it. Per the company's recommendation, I replaced the thermocouple, clean it, have it regularly serviced. The technician told us we need to change the gas valve assembly. When I called, they sent a burner assembly.

When I called, they asked me about the exhaust pipe, whether it is go through the roof or go through the side of the house. I took several pictures of the exhaust system and sent to them. I called, one of the people on the company side said my exhaust was wrong, and need to be repaired by a HVAC company. I asked what is wrong? They don't tell me. I sent emails, and called to ask an answer, and got nothing. My impression is that they don't want to deal with the issues and simply want the consumer to get tired and replace the water heater. It really shows the total disregard of the interest of the consumers. This should not be the way people do business in the United States. When a big company has large numbers of lawyers, they can ignore the law. What a corrupt system!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2016

Do not buy this 50 gallon hot water tank. Mine was guaranteed for 12 years, and barely lasted six. No hot water on and off, on and off. Called Whirlpool, they will send me the three parts that typically go for $30.00 in the mail. Okay, they came and a plumber put them on for me. Then the tank did not work at all. Called Whirlpool back up, "okay, one of the parts must be defective. For another $30.00 we will send you the same parts, try them." Yep, pay the plumber another $90.00 to try the same three parts. Beware, they are the worst company ever. Did not stand behind their product, miserable customer service. And the end folks, ended up having to replace it, the plumber cost me another $900.00. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER WHIRLPOOL PRODUCT AGAIN...

Original review: Feb. 5, 2016

Having a Whirlpool gas water heater for less than 2 years and having a 6 year warranty one would think you are safe to believe this large company will treat you as well as you treated them when buying their product. Think again. No one is allowed or has the authority to issue credit for failed parts, you can't return the product to place of purchase, you are hung out to dry. Whirlpool, I will never buy nor recommend any product you create or sell. I will make it a point to anyone having a conversation about your products just how you're untrained, read by the manual uninformed technicians really are. I will explain just how over inflated your prices are for such cheap engineered to fail products are. Have a nice day.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2016

We purchased a Whirlpool Gas Water Heater (Model No. N40T61-343) from Lowe's in the Summer of 2013. 2.5 years later, the water heater goes out as of 01/19/2016. Therefore, I contacted the telephone number on the side of the water heater in order to restart the water heater. We followed the instructions by pushing in the pilot button, as well the ignition button. To no avail, the water heater did not restart. I called customer service on Thursday (01/21/2016) to speak with a representative. She said that we needed another Thermopile and a Gas Valve replacement. So, who is going to put it on? It would cost as much as getting a whole new water heater. Therefore, we are going to Menards to purchase the Richmond Gas Water Heater. We had a Richmond once before; and it lasted from 1999 or 2000, until 2013.

After reading all the reviews about this brand water heater (Whirlpool), no wonder people are complaining. Ladies and gentlemen, do yourselves a favor and not buy a Whirlpool Water Heater. The only thing that Whirlpool is good for is only their name. Their Water Heaters in particular are worthless pieces of junk. NEVER BUY A WHIRLPOOL GAS WATER HEATER AGAIN!!!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2016

11 months after purchasing my Whirlpool 40 Gal Gas Water Heater N40T61-343 I woke to cold water one morning and found the LED flashing 4 times - high temperature shutdown. Unable to find any reset I called Whirlpool and after a couple questions, was sent a replacement control unit. Happily it arrived 2 days later. I was told then that it was because I had residue in the tank. I had no idea how he determined that because none of his questions even touched on that. Anyway, I had hot water.

Nearly a year later now to the day and again I have no hot water. This time the pilot burns very weakly when I try to light it and then goes out. After three attempts I get 7 flashes on the LED - Gas Control Valve Failure, part of the same unit I replaced a year ago. Am calling tomorrow since it's too late to go through any tech support steps over the phone that I'm reading about on this site and seeing on Youtube. Honestly, I didn't replace the last heater because I had nothing better to do than replace parts on this one annually. No, I will not purchase another Whirlpool unit especially after reading all of the similar if not identical issues others are having.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2016

Purchased a gas hot water heater from Lowe's in October 2015. Installed the hot water tank and two months later started smelling a faint gas smell coming from around the Honeywell box. Called Whirlpool and they thought it was the gas valve and replaced part, but had to pay $30 for overnight shipping. Had plumber install new part and did not fix the issue. Called plumber back out and he found a small pin hole size leak behind pilot light. Patched the leak and still had a gas smell coming from around the Honeywell box.

Called Whirlpool back and after some back and forth was able to get hot water tank replaced, since it was only two months old and should not need any maintenance that soon. Replaced water heater with new tank and this tank has a gas smell coming from around the Honeywell box as well. We replaced all our lines and even had the fire department check out our gas lines. Could not find anything. I am still baffled as to why this tank has a gas smell coming from the Honeywell box. I can't seem to find anyone else having this issue. Whirlpool or Lowe's has not been any help. Ready to unhook it and buy another brand. Anyone have this issue?

Original review: Dec. 30, 2015

On Dec 18, 2015, my hot water heater located in my garage started spewing water out into my garage, driveway, and into the street. I called Lowe's, whom I purchased the water heater in Jan 2011, in which it was still under warranty. I was told to call (Whirlpool) 877 817 6750, the order was placed for a gas shut out valve after going through a check system. I was then given the names of two local preferred technicians to repair water heater, whom was not available. The representative from Whirlpool (American water heater) told me I can get the plumber of my choice, authorization number was given. I had to call the (Whirlpool) (American Water Heater) back and was told the part was ordered 2 times.

The first part will come on Dec 19, 2015 by UPS, and that the second part will come on Dec 21 by UPS, that a prepackaged label for return will be attached, and to tape the 2 boxes together to send back to the company--one box with the old part, and one box with the new. So, I sent the boxes to an address in Junction City, Tn. But I was not sent prepaid label, so I kept by word and spent $14. I will not be reimbursed according to American Water in which I followed their directions to a tee. So the walk away, the customer is always wrong, staff is not being trained the right way, and as a customer I am out of money and making adjustments to the way of customer service. No service. Just a waste of time, effort, and money.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2015

Purchased at Lowe's and within days of installation the water would heat up so hot that it would spit and spew out of kitchen sink (10' away) and be so hot you couldn't hold your hand under it. Returned to Lowes and they reluctantly replaced it. I should have bought a different brand but I felt confident that it was just a faulty thermostat. Second one did the same. Tested different settings and it seemed to work ok but a few days later it was scalding hot again. Tech support kept telling me that "water heaters are intended to be used or they are like a kettle of water sitting on a flame". I told them they were crazy to think a small pilot light could heat 40 gallons to scalding temp.

Guess what? I left the heater on the pilot setting and with 40 fresh cold gallons in it. I returned 24 hours later to find it scalding hot again. I got down and looked through the view window and I couldn't believe the size of the pilot light. It is the biggest pilot light I have ever seen. It blows like a mini blow torch! And there is no adjustment. This is a serious engineering flaw and extremely dangerous. This heater is at my father-in-law's house and he probably doesn't use 5 or 10 gallons a day but still, NO WATER HEATER SHOULD EVER HEAT WATER TO A SCALDING TEMPERATURE WITH ONLY A PILOT LIGHT!!!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2015

We purchased a Whirlpool water heater from Lowes in 2011. Everything was fine up until June 2015. We got the dreaded 4 flashes. We called for service to come out, that costed us around $300. December 23rd of 15 it goes out again. We called Whirlpool instead of a service company and the part was under warranty. We paid for overnight shipping but because of the holiday it was not guaranteed. We told them we are fine with Sat. delivery. In the meantime we had to cancel a holiday party scheduled at our house the 24th. We waited around all day Sat. for the part to show and nothing. We called Whirlpool to get the tracking number and we find out that the other service rep didn't mark our package for Sat. delivery. I am very close to just buying a new heater. I am trying to tell everyone I can about how horrible Whirlpool is. I feel sorry for any suckers that buy based on the name and don't do their research.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2015

On 12/27/2013 I bought a Whirlpool hot water heater from Lowe's Model NU50T122-403. On 12-13-2015 the pilot went out. When I called tech support on 12-14-2015 they gave number what were call centers or person who returned the calls. So I called a local plumber that I used before. He came out and told me that had to replace the pilot. On the 16th 2015 of Dec. that did not work and told us the heater needed to be replaced. The replacement will happen today I hope with little to no help from Whirlpool. I would advise you to do your homework before you buy a Whirlpool hot water heater.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2015

I bought a Whirlpool gas hot water heater in 2005. In the first 12 months I replaced either 4 or 5 thermocouples and a total of between 15 and 20 from the time I bought it in 2006 and 2012. Only 1 time did the company replace one of them. When I would call them the rep would say things like, "There may not be enough ventilation" or "Was it installed by a licensed technician?" The 1 time they did take care of a problem the technician they sent out said NOTHING was wrong with the ventilation or the way it was installed. Oh yea, Customer Service told me that they did me a FAVOR (exact word) when they did that.

In 2012 the hot water heater went out for good. The company would NOT do anything about it. I took it back to Lowe's where I got it and they replaced it for me since the manufacturer wouldn't. The new hot water heater went out after only 3 years. I turned the hot water on and it was not getting hot so I checked the hot water heater to see what was going in. I found the pilot was burning, but the burner was not burning. I turned the water heater off and and checked everything out. When I tried to relight the water heater, guess what? It will not light. I am now being told that this heater has NO warranty, this 3 year old heater. There is MORE but I won't go into that now. Just know this has been the WORST product and the WORST company I have ever had any dealings with, PERIOD!!!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2015

We purchased a Whirlpool elec. water heater Ee3z50rd055v for our home in 2003. About 2 years ago it began to not heat properly, it randomly coded upper/lower elements. I replaced them both and it continued to code. It would make clicking and popping sounds from control board. The control board was removed and we discovered some relay switches had come loose from board and soldered them back on. It continued to work fine for 2 years. This week it started over. This time I called whirlpool and spoke with a very polite and professional young man by the name of Michael. He asked me a handful of questions and promptly took care of my problem. Shipping new control board and covered shipping. We don't live in a perfect world, things happen. Whirlpool has provided the means to correct the problem. What is there to complain about.. Thank you whirlpool.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2015

We purchased this water heater (Whirlpool 50 gallon, 9-year warranty, Regular Electric Water Heater, Model Number ES50R92-45D) in July 2015 when Lowe's had a special financing offer. Doing other remodeling in the house, we didn't have it installed until the beginning of November. A local licensed plumber installed this for us and we haven't had a hot shower since. We have called Whirlpool at least five times. They've had us replace the elements, replace the electronic thermostat AND the regular thermostat, then they even had us call a warranty plumber they use to inspect the tank and authorize what needs to be done next. When he arrived, he said he hadn't ever even SEEN this model before.

Being fed-up with cold showers, I called Lowe's to see if we could just take the thing back to the store, but they said that since it was after the 90 days, I would have to get an authorization number from Whirlpool. I just spent another 20 minutes on the phone with Whirlpool explaining my situation and they said that they can't authorize the return of "a tank that can be repaired." I then asked if we didn't have a money back guarantee and the guy said, "Unfortunately NO." He then suggested I call the plumber they had recommended to come out and look at it again.

The guy was from Tampa and when he was here, he just wanted to get home since it was nearly 5 PM AND he's the one who said he had never seen this model before. What would be the point of calling him AGAIN??? When I buy a BRAND NEW product still in the box from a reputable store, I do NOT expect to have to troubleshoot and fix it. IT SHOULD WORK. Well, I have learned another valuable lesson from the school of hard knocks (and cold showers)...Always read the comments on a product before purchasing.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2015

We bought a new Whirlpool water heater Mdl# Nu40T121-403 Prd# 0733322 at Lowes in August of 2011. It quit working in Jan. 2011, had to get new flashing part, took 2 weeks and cost $10. Now, Nov. 2015 it broke down again. There is no light on the part we bought last year, and the pilot won't light at all. I really hate this water heater.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2015

In 2008, we purchased a Whirlpool Gas Water Heater from Lowe's. Three years later the tank started leaking (this water heater had a 6-year warranty). Per Whirlpool's instructions we were to return this one to Lowe's for a refund (in hindsight we should have taken the money & went elsewhere to purchase a better brand!). As our plumber was removing the leaking heater we went to Lowe's to purchase a new Whirlpool Water Heater upgrading to one with a 12-year warranty hoping that this one would last, it was advertised as the BEST one Lowe's sells! After our plumber swapped out the heaters we returned the leaking water heater for our refund (remember this one had a 6-year warranty & only lasted 3 years).

This past June (2015) our water heater stopped working, turns out the thermocouple went out which shuts the gas valve off. Called 5 plumbing companies in the Metro Phoenix area, not a single one would work on it! We researched the repair, called Whirlpool & was told that this water heater was out of warranty. Wait a minute! This one has a 12-year warranty & it is only 4 years old! Whirlpool told me that it is a replacement water heater so the warranty for this water heater is only 6 years (from the 2008 date of the purchase of the first water heater). It didn't matter that the replacement water heater was a different model & was more expensive than what was refunded to us. We replaced the thermocouple ourselves & got it going again. Last week it started leaking, called Whirlpool again got the runaround again, called a plumber who replaced it with a new Ruud for $1000.00 (Water heater + Labor).

We went back to Lowe's to try to get their help resolving this, the store manager said this was a Whirlpool warranty issue. We ended up taking the junk Whirlpool water heater to a recycling facility and getting $2.50 for it. Bottom LINE!! READ THE REVIEWS, THEY ARE TRUE!!! There was a class action lawsuit with a settlement of which I never received a notice for, I read about it online this summer, but it was too late to opt in.

Don't waste your money on Whirlpool water heaters, no one will repair them, Lowe's won't stand behind the products on their shelves, they get your money & hide behind the manufacturer & Whirlpool has very nice script to get you off of phone! Whirlpool used to be a trusted brand (do your research, I think they are the manufacturer for certain store brands! ). Our new Ruud water heater has a faster recovery than either of the Whirlpool's that we've had; the drain valve is brass, not plastic like the whirlpool, it is overall a much higher quality.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2015

We had Lowes install a Whirlpool model Nu40T121-403 natural gas water heater early October 2012. The temp controller went out in October of 2014. I replaced the controller myself at a cost of $30 for overnight UPS from the manufacturer, American Water Heater. The controller went out again almost exactly one year later and I again replaced it for the $30 shipping charge. In both instances the customer service person told me the malfunction was probably due to my not flushing the heater annually, causing a sediment buildup. The water to the heater not only flushed annually, but is filtered through a water softener and there was absolutely no evidence of sediment in the drain water or on the part of the control that is in the tank. Now it has stopped working a third time. I called Lowes about replacing it, but they only carry Whirlpool, so won't be buying a replacement from them.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2015

I have had this unit less than a year and started having pilot problems. I would just relight and ask family members to take shorter showers or not run the washing machine or dishwasher at the same time. I would have to relight the pilot 3-4 times a year and would just tolerate. Now the water heater fails on a daily basis. In the last four weeks, my wife would say "NO HOT WATER AGAIN." I am so tired of dealing with this, so last night, I called Whirlpool and associate was polite but gave me a lot of things that I should do (43 yrs a pipefitter). Before all was said and done, he is shipping me a new gas valve (at my expense) that I will gladly install to get rid of this problem. Will not EVER buy a hot water heater from Whirpool or Lowe's ever again. Whirpool should stick to washing machines!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2015

My contractor purchased a Whirlpool NU50T61-403 water heater at Lowe's. After several months the gas valve stopped working. Whirlpool sent a replacement gas valve which stopped working after a month. When I complained they offered to send another replacement, which I declined. They also offered to have it repaired by 2 firms which were very poorly rated on Yelp. Whirlpool stubbornly refused any other remedy. As I needed to resolve this right away because tenants were depending on having hot water. I replaced it with another hot water heater. In summary I wasted $570 for 9 months of use.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2015

I purchased for over a thousand dollars a whirlpool propane hot water tank. Three months later the safety heat thing that turns it off is defective yet I have to pay for shipping on this. Then again every three months. It's been a year and a half and the damn thing just blew up and almost took my house with it. I paid for a product that works not one that needs replaced yearly. But do they care? Nope. 2 weeks before someone can even look at it. I plan on reviewing until whirlpool isn't purchased by anyone again. This is a brand that was supposed to be quality, instead it's just a scam!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2015

Product number 0733318 Terrible water heater - Check valve went after 2 years. Replacement has to be shipped from TN. $30 to next day it or else I can take cold showers for a week. Warranty does not cover shipping or installation. My opinion, buy puts on WHR. Absolutely crappy product.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2015

My Brother-In-Law bought a Whirlpool Gas Water Heater from Lowe's last year. The Water Heater was still under warranty and would not stay lit. He called Whirlpool and they told him to send them a picture of where the water heater was installed (really? a picture). They told him he could not order the replacement part which was a Thermopile because he had to have a licensed person install it? Really? In your own home? My husband finally got Lowe's to order the part because Whirlpool's only help was for him to purchase a new water heater and Lowe's would give him 10% off a new one. Lowe's and Whirlpool have a monopoly on water heaters. Whirlpool is the only brand that Lowe's sells. So if you want your warranty to be good on a water heater DO NOT BUY WHIRLPOOL.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2015

First of all, Whirlpool is fully aware of the problems with water heaters and intentionally places requirements on the consumer until they give up. This info from a distributor. I bought 30 gal. gas water heater 7 months ago. Six days ago the pilot light went out. Went to Lowe's (purchased there) and bought a replacement. Wrong one. Returned to store and was told they don't stock repair parts, call factory. Monday called warranty number. They offers to send thermopile, it would arrive in 5 days.

I paid $30 for overnight. Plumber installed new part. Still doesn't work. Whirlpool says have the plumber call them they'll walk him through troubleshooting. I ask, "Who's paying the plumber?" They reply, "You are." Plumber calls Whirlpool. They tell him to clean the screen. He does. They tell him to disassemble the burner. I stop plumber. I ask Whirlpool, "What if it's not the burner?" They reply, "Then we'll troubleshoot something else."

Meanwhile I'm 5 days without hot water. I go to Lowe's where heater was purchased. The manager thought it funny I'm another victim. I ask, "Why doesn't Lowe's stock heater parts?" He says because Whirlpool doesn't let them carry parts. I'm beat. I surrender. Parts from Whirlpool would take another 5 days and there's no assurance it'll work. Lowe's refuses to assist.

I go to Sutherlands and buy a $450 Rheem on recommendation from plumber. Manager from Sutherlands hears my sad story and writes on receipt: "Any warranty failure and Sutherlands will replace water heater free." He signs his name on receipt. I pay plumber to swap out heaters. Anybody want a 7 month old Whirlpool water heater. Like new. Cheap! By the way... I originally went to a major appliance parts store asking for a thermocouple for a Whirlpool. The three guys at the counter started laughing "Hey we got another one looking for Whirlpool parts". They didn't have them either. Lesson learned.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2015

I completely forgot that I wrote a review on our Whirlpool hot water heater model FG1H5040T3 Nov in 2010 until I received an email telling me how many people read my post. Surprise, Surprise guess what we are having problems with again. You know how nice it is to have hot water anytime you need or want it. Well, not at my house. The hot water heater worked for about a year (I'm probably being nice with the time here). Here's our problem now, once the water heats up the pilot goes out. It will not stay on. I've noticed that if it's full the pilot light will not come on, so we have to run some water to be able to light it.

Well I called customer service, a waste of time. The guy told me that my heater's warranty expired last year and his suggestion is to go buy another heater. REALLY! All I wanted to do was order a part for it. He did send me an article with suggestion of things to check. Sorry, we already did everything in the article, another waste of time. It seems we are not the only ones (model #) with problems with Whirlpool. Whirlpool used to make good products but it's not anymore. I will NEVER buy another Whirlpool product again.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2015

40 gallon electric water heater in a condo unit I just bought does not work. Tech has been out twice and each time claims "problem with the electricity." Uh, huh. I just put in a new electric panel and had a master electrician with 20 years exp. go through the entire system in the house. Funny, but the ONLY thing that continues to not work is the Whirlpool electric water heater. It will not heat water.

Solution: First, I am going to enforce the warranty (lifetime for parts) and the "authorized" service's guarantee to come out again and again on the same initial service call fee until the entire thing is rebuilt from the ground up. Then, I am going to go buy a Rheem heater (recommended by my MASTER plumber), replace this piece of junk and then I will do what I HIGHLY recommend other do, sue. You can't sue Whirlpool but you CAN sue their authorized providers like Lowe's. You simply file against Lowe's (I like county court myself because I am familiar with courts- you might try small claims if you are not and/or are intimidated by the courts) and name Whirlpool as a "PROXY" defendant (where it says who you are suing, do it like this, "Lowe's, Whirlpool- get the full names of these companies by looking them up online) and any service companies that have "worked" on your heater.

You may not "win" in court because of the warranty on the things, but even if you don't win, you will cost Lowe's and Whirlpool a fortune (they have in-house lawyers, but not necessarily where you are, so they will have to send one to appear at LEAST twice in your jurisdiction- costs them a FORTUNE to do this). If more American consumers would do this on a consistent basis, then all of the shoddy ** these companies sell would stop being sold. I guarantee Lowe's will rethink carrying this brand after ONE such lawsuit (mine... maybe yours). It's time for American consumers to grow a pair.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2015

I call them. Lowe's gave me #. Spoke to man there at CS. He took care of me. I was a Lowe's within 30 mins. Gave them PO. Home within 45 mins. Whirlpool you the best in Johnson city TN. You're just like Lowe's. I pay for Whirlpool because you make it. Thanks for all you do. The best. #1.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2015

I purchased a Whirlpool 50 gallon gas hot water heater 3 years ago. I have 3 daughters all in school age. When my old one finally quit due to tank failure and out of warranty, I went to Lowe's and bought a 6 year warranty hot water heater costing around $600. Now I figured you get what you pay for RIGHT! WRONG! So about 2 years ago the pilot light started to just go out on occasion, a bit of an inconvenience but there was no default code warning me of any other issues. So typically we just relight it. I called Whirlpool to get help with this issue, but they wanted me to pay for a technician to diagnose the problem. Um isn't that what the warranty is for? I said don't bother. I'm not paying $150 for someone to tell me what I already know. I'll just keep relighting it myself.

So finally the pilot light goes out for the 100th time but this time I go to reignite it and BOOM! It sounded like a twelve gauge shot gun going off in my face! Then it flutters flames into the chimney of the hot water heater. Scared the crap out of me at first. But it finally stopped and run fine. Well I'm laying in bed a few nights later and woke up to a loud thumping noise, I go down stairs and it stops. The following day I'm in the kitchen and THUMP THUMP THUMP BURP BURP BURP. Run over to the hot water heater closet and there's the flames shooting out of the gas valve into the hot water heater then BOOM! It's out! The valve unit finally took a crap I guess.

I call Whirlpool again to get my warranty - this time it definitely needs to be replaced. So the guy tells me the parts are covered in the warranty but a technician needs to look at it first and the technician I'll have to pay.. Excuse me but what the ** did you just say? I have to pay for a technician to look at your failing part? No I don't think so! Just send me the part - I'll replace it myself. I'm a millwright electrician by trade. I specialize in power plants and refineries. I'm sure this little gas valve won't be a problem. I spoke with these idiots on a Friday and he said I could have it ground shipped for free and it should be here in 5-6 days or pay extra for quicker delivery. What the hell did he just say? I could pay extra for quicker delivery on Whirlpool's faulty part? ** whirlpool should be saying "We'll have the part overnight to you."

Now since it was a 3 day weekend there's no sense in me paying $40 to have it delivered 3 day because it still wouldn't arrive until close to the five day. So I just looked to see where my damn part is because it should've been here by now according to the guy on the phone. NOPE! It's set to be delivered in 5 more ** days. DON'T BUY A WHIRLPOOL PRODUCT. THEY DO NOT PRACTICE ETHICS.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2015

So I had a problem with the water heater after 2 years and had the sensor fix by my heating people. Now the water heater is 3 years old and started leaking from the top of the water heater. Called my heating people and they fix the pipe and coupling on top but he told me the water was still bubbling up at the top. He told me it could stop and 70% it would be ok. Went to check on it and it continues to leak so I called Whirlpool because it was still under warranty. They are the most horrible people to deal with.

First of all I told the guy it was leaking from the top but he asked me if it was leaking out of the side pipe. Didn't know what he was talking about and he kept sighing on the phone. If I knew about water heaters I wouldn't be calling them. After all the questions it came down to it was leaking where I told him at the top. He gave me a number and told me to take the water heater back to Lowe's and get a new one and then call them and they would move the warranty over to the new heater. Really???? We are not talking about clothes you want to bring back to a store.

Asked him how I should do this and he told me to call a heating contractor. So does he think that the heating contractor and going to run the water heater back for a new one??? In the end I just called my heating people and they are going to send somebody out to install a new heater. So much for Whirlpool's warranty. If this is under warranty and it is exclusive to Lowe's then they should be having Lowe's bring a new one and install it.

Whirlpool Water Heaters Company Information