Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

1718 Whirlpool Water Heaters Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 16, 2018

If I could give them zero stars I would. NEVER BUY A WHIRLPOOL GAS WATER HEATER! Our Whirlpool water heater Is 4 years old. Pilot light wont stay lit. A reputable plumber came out and said that the control knob is bad and to call Whirlpool to get part because it's still under warranty. So I call and get nothing but a hassle. They tried to tell me that it was installed in a room that the installation manual says it not to be in. (Background here. The house was built in 1960. It is on a cement slab and it's a prefab house.) The manual says "Do not install in bathrooms, bedrooms or any OCCUPIED room normally kept closed."

Now let me tell you where it is at. It is in a 5' by 3' boxed area with cement floor and walls to the ceiling with access doors to it and to the furnace which is also in this area. The access door to water heater is on the back side of a bedroom closet, access door to furnace is in a hall. So Whirlpool tells me that they cant give me the part Even if I pay for it due to some national fuel and gas code. They wont even tell me where I could buy the part... They said the only way they can help me is if I relocate the water heater or put in a ventless water heater.

Our water heater is vented thru the roof of house... It gets plenty of ventilation. They wouldnt let me talk to a supervisor to complain... So this is why I am on here writing this review. I might add this is not our first issue with Whirlpool. Had a brand new KitchenAid refrigerator with ice maker. The ice maker didn't work from first day. After 3 techs and 3 visits it still doesn't work. Then also the compressor went out. If you want a better product and want good customer service then dont buy Whirlpool.

Oh and one more thing. Our plumber also doesn't like Whirlpool. He said he had problems every time when he has to deal with them. He said it's to the point when someone calls for services and tells him it's a Whirlpool he just cringes. Now that's pretty bad. I just spent 4 almost 5 hours of my morning upset to the point of tears. With no results. Another note. I called my gas company. They said our water heater is in a safe place. If it wasnt they wouldnt be supplying gas to us. Live and learn. Done with Whirlpool.

Original review: June 29, 2018

Bought water heater from Lowe's in 2016. 4 days ago I came home to find water all over garage and a burnt smell coming from the water heater. Whirlpool's warranty department is absolutely horrible. I spent 3 days sending pictures of the water heater, circuit breakers and water on garage floor with cc sent to my husband's email account and mine. Each day I would telephone the warranty department and told that they never received pictures and they couldn't do anything until they received the pictures. I asked for a supervisor who wouldn't even come to the phone. Both my husband and myself received the pics and email just fine.

A representative said they have firewalls and things attached so that they can't receive attachments and downloads. So I sent directly from my phone and they still claimed they never received. They refused to give me contact phone numbers for supervisors. Out of frustration I called the Lowe's store where I purchased and a store representative spent 4 hours making phone calls trying to help. She was completely frustrated as well. I was told even though there is a 6 year warranty, I am to pay parts and labor and that the repair company for my area that Whirlpool utilizes doesn't even deal with Whirlpool parts so that whatever is needed would have to be ordered! I'm on day 4 of no hot water, this is absolutely ridiculous. I will NEVER buy another Whirlpool product! This product was installed by Lowe's and inspected by the state, not a DIY!

Original review: June 23, 2018

We have had a Whirlpool hot water heater for 6 years and 14 days. Note the 14 days. It has been nothing but trouble and we have called the company repeatedly for help. It finally stopped working altogether 14 days after the warranty ran out. Thank you Whirlpool for nothing! It had a filter on the bottom of the heater that constantly had to be cleaned which was next to impossible. We had to buy a special brush to try to reach it. My husband had to take it apart several times a year and clean it to keep it running. Whirlpool should have replaced it within the first year but instead offered many suggestions about cleaning and etc. so they would not have to replace. Today it is out of my house for good and I would advise anyone reading this to beware! Horrible product!!!

Original review: April 25, 2018

I bought the Whirlpool model e2h50rd045v electric water heater to replace my failing gas water heater on July 21, 2014, and had it installed a couple of weeks later after a little over 3 years of use. The water heater is still working with no issues or major problems. I'm happy with the decision to purchase this water heater.

Original review: April 10, 2018

Absolutely terrible product. Have had nothing but problems with it since I got it. After 4 months the pilot started going out every couple of days. Would have to vacuum the filter just to get it to light. They eventually sent me a screen to wrap around the bottom, that would only extend the interval to maybe a week instead of going out every few days. Now tonight it won't even relight! So tomorrow I'm buying another heater and throwing this piece of junk out, a waste of $750.00 for two years of headaches. Don't, trust me. Don't buy this garbage of a water heater. And like others I bought it a Lowe's, done with both of these stores!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whirlpool?

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

We bought the Whirlpool NU50T122-403 50 Gal water heater from Lowe’s and very disappointed that after 3 years it will cost more to repair it than replace it. The Whirlpool gas water heater and our Whirlpool refrigerator have been the worst purchases ever made. Whirlpool has been unreliable in our house and the repairs and downtime have been extraordinary. We have replaced with a Rheem from Home Depot.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

For the last 20 days, I have to light the water heater at least 2 to 3 times a day. Maintenance told me how annoying this energy efficient change has turned to be, more like a nightmare. Multiply by 164 units at different times. Absolutely hate it...

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

In 2012 we purchased a Whirlpool Nu40T61-403 water heater from Lowe’s that I installed due to us not being able to afford a plumber. I have since become a plumber. This morning while attempting to shower I noticed that the water was lukewarm with the shower valve turned all the way to hot. I got dressed and inspected the heater. I began to diagnose the problem. Pilot was out and Gas control valve signal light was off. Lit the pilot and it appeared to be functioning normally. My first thought was the thermopile had failed but seeing the pilot stayed lit this proved to not be the case. I was extremely relieved at that point. Turned the temperature control knob to high and the burner kicked on. At first it appeared to be functioning fine. But within about 20 seconds I began to hear detonations within the sealed combustion chamber.

I turned the gas control valve off and imminently called Whirlpool. Literally spent no time on hold. The very helpful CSR asked for the serial number on my heater. She then informed me my heater was under warranty. I requested a new gas control valve and thermopile and informed her I was a plumber and had diagnosed the problem or at least what I thought was the problem. She said no problem only that I would have to pay $30.00 for overnight shipping if I wanted it. They provide UPS ground free of charge. Not a big deal to me. Gave her my debit card information and received my confirmation number. Told her to have a nice day and that was that. Being the perfectionist I am I called my company’s water heater master and asked him for his opinion after ordering the parts. I told him the symptoms and he said that it could also be the burner assembly and that I should inspect that as well.

Upon pulling the burner assembly and inspecting it I noticed 2 quarter sized holes in the screen on top of the burner as well as the screen being heavily corroded. The point of the screen is to keep the gas contained within the burner assembly so it burns properly. So the problem was the burner assembly not the gas control valve.

I immediately called back Whirlpool to inform them I would like them to also send out the burner assembly. They told me the order for the gas control valve had already shipped and it would have to be two separate orders but that they would waive the $30.00 for the second package's overnight shipping. The packages will be here tomorrow by noon and although I have no hot water for the night being in the industry I know that these things happen and am grateful that Whirlpool is sending me $650.00+ worth of parts for free and not trying to fight me on it. Amazing customer service reps that fully honor warranty. No holding and waived the second package's fee.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

Installed a Whirlpool EcoSmart Electric Water Heater 5 years ago in my elderly Mother-in-law's home. About 3-4 times a year, I have to make a trip to her house to reset the electronic controller. Sometimes it's a daytime trip, sometimes at night. You never know when it's going to trip off. It's not an electric circuit/amperage issue, it's internal with the electronic circuit. There seems to have been a lot of complaints about these units since the beginning of the electronic controllers. I contacted Whirlpool the first time and the second time it failed. 5 years later, it's beginning to fail more often but Whirlpool does not seem to be interested.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Bought a Whirlpool water heater in 2013 from Lowe's. Model/Serial - N40S61-403; 1312T478726. It has a Honeywell thermostat control valve, model WV8840B1109 that is now defective after only 5 years. Pilot light went out once last year and had to get someone to repair and relight. It has gone out again, 11/5/17, won't stay lit, and valve is not letting enough gas through to keep the pilot light lit. Spoke with a plumber who said it would be more cost effective to replace entire water heater. He said problems with this water heater and control valve are very common. Not sure if Lowe's is even selling this unit anymore. My research has alerted me to the many problems with this unit. I have to believe that the manufacturer HAD to know about the issues and therefore is negligent. It looks as if there may be a class action lawsuit in the future. This is ridiculous!

Whirlpool Water Heaters Company Information