Find a Water Heaters partner

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Whirlpool Water Heaters Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whirlpool Water Heaters?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whirlpool?

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Got a Whirlpool hot water heater 5 years ago has 9 year warranty. The threads on the nipple are rusted out and it’s leaking. It has rusted out so badly that it’s leaking. They are refusing to replace it saying it’s a plumbing issue even though the nipples that they installed are what’s leaking.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I purchased my water heater at Lowe's and had it installed professionally. I suspected something was not quite right on numerous occasions because the hot water recovery time seemed excessive. I finally called Whirlpool and they gave me the names and numbers of two companies that were on their list. The first asked for the model number and normal information and never called back. The second showed up spent five minutes charged me 78 dollars and said they could not get the part (gas valve) I needed. And if I could get it from Whirlpool they would charge me 250 to put it on. They also said Whirlpool made horrible water heaters and I should save myself the trouble and just replace it.

I have since heard from additional plumbers and the gas company to stay away from Whirlpool. I did have the water heater replaced. When they did it and they drained the old water heater it had so much sludge in it draining it was very difficult. The sludge is mystery since I have a softener in my home and it should have prevented that. The individual from that gas company said that was just one of the many issue others had experienced with these heaters.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

My gas hot water heater failed. The pilot went out and could not be relit. The Whirlpool water heater has a 12 year warranty and we are in year 5. Sears said they could not send anyone to repair it because there was no service in our area. We live 30 minutes from Dallas/Ft. Worth, Texas. They offered to replace it even though I had a plumber on standby, ready to replace it. They said they could not let me do that if they had one in stock. After waiting a week for the delivery, they called at 4:45 pm to claim that the delivery truck would not start. They would not put it on another truck or help in any way. Then they said it would be another week before they could deliver it.

All this time we are going without hot water, trying to cook, clean, take baths, do laundry etc. They had no sympathy and refused to provide compensation so I could proceed with installing a new water heater. I could have done this if I knew a check was in the mail but they refused to allow me to do this. This happened to me at another big box store years ago and they sent a check immediately.

The customer support in the hot water heater dept at Sears was terrible. If they can't send someone to repair and they can't provide a replacement within a few days, it is only reasonable to offer payment so that the customer and move forward with repairs. I will never buy another appliance from Sears after this nightmare. On December 4th I'm supposed to get the delayed hot water heater but if the truck doesn't start, who knows how long I will have to wait. I am reasonable and flexible but lack of hot water is something a customer should not have to wait two weeks to get resolved.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

Purchased my Whirlpool gas hot water heater. After 1 1/2 yrs, the blinking light shut off, called tech at Whirlpool, made me move hot water heater to outside. I moved it outside and when called back, I was then told to send 4 photos to prove that I moved it, in which I did that. He told me that still was not right... and still he would not help with "reset'. I live in my parents old home w/ water heater in bathroom for 50 yrs. No problem... it was vented thru ceiling to attic. Now it is outside, unlit, in a steel hub (as directed) and still not ok...

I have no hot water and have not for 4 weeks now... Whirlpool sucks... never buy their hot water heaters. Had to pay a serviceman $750 to move heater, run cold/hot water lines and gas line and it still does not work... with NO HELP from Whirlpool. Now I am in process of buying an electric hot water heater and have to pay an electrician to run a 220... I am on fixed income and this stinks... biggest regret... WHIRLPOOL.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Purchased gas water heater from Lowe's in 2012. Had no problems until July 2018. It's under warranty but have had to replace the control valve completely and the burner 5 times and it still is not fixed. Don't waste your money. Buy something else.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

They stink. Major issues with most all of these Whirlpool water heaters. I have had issues with 3 different units. I own properties and these are pure junk. Can't find parts and have to pay for shipping on warranty parts! 2 years old units junked, Ridiculous... never buy Whirlpool!

Original review: July 16, 2018

If I could give them zero stars I would. NEVER BUY A WHIRLPOOL GAS WATER HEATER! Our Whirlpool water heater Is 4 years old. Pilot light wont stay lit. A reputable plumber came out and said that the control knob is bad and to call Whirlpool to get part because it's still under warranty. So I call and get nothing but a hassle. They tried to tell me that it was installed in a room that the installation manual says it not to be in. (Background here. The house was built in 1960. It is on a cement slab and it's a prefab house.) The manual says "Do not install in bathrooms, bedrooms or any OCCUPIED room normally kept closed."

Now let me tell you where it is at. It is in a 5' by 3' boxed area with cement floor and walls to the ceiling with access doors to it and to the furnace which is also in this area. The access door to water heater is on the back side of a bedroom closet, access door to furnace is in a hall. So Whirlpool tells me that they cant give me the part Even if I pay for it due to some national fuel and gas code. They wont even tell me where I could buy the part... They said the only way they can help me is if I relocate the water heater or put in a ventless water heater.

Our water heater is vented thru the roof of house... It gets plenty of ventilation. They wouldnt let me talk to a supervisor to complain... So this is why I am on here writing this review. I might add this is not our first issue with Whirlpool. Had a brand new KitchenAid refrigerator with ice maker. The ice maker didn't work from first day. After 3 techs and 3 visits it still doesn't work. Then also the compressor went out. If you want a better product and want good customer service then dont buy Whirlpool.

Oh and one more thing. Our plumber also doesn't like Whirlpool. He said he had problems every time when he has to deal with them. He said it's to the point when someone calls for services and tells him it's a Whirlpool he just cringes. Now that's pretty bad. I just spent 4 almost 5 hours of my morning upset to the point of tears. With no results. Another note. I called my gas company. They said our water heater is in a safe place. If it wasnt they wouldnt be supplying gas to us. Live and learn. Done with Whirlpool.

Original review: June 29, 2018

Bought water heater from Lowe's in 2016. 4 days ago I came home to find water all over garage and a burnt smell coming from the water heater. Whirlpool's warranty department is absolutely horrible. I spent 3 days sending pictures of the water heater, circuit breakers and water on garage floor with cc sent to my husband's email account and mine. Each day I would telephone the warranty department and told that they never received pictures and they couldn't do anything until they received the pictures. I asked for a supervisor who wouldn't even come to the phone. Both my husband and myself received the pics and email just fine.

A representative said they have firewalls and things attached so that they can't receive attachments and downloads. So I sent directly from my phone and they still claimed they never received. They refused to give me contact phone numbers for supervisors. Out of frustration I called the Lowe's store where I purchased and a store representative spent 4 hours making phone calls trying to help. She was completely frustrated as well. I was told even though there is a 6 year warranty, I am to pay parts and labor and that the repair company for my area that Whirlpool utilizes doesn't even deal with Whirlpool parts so that whatever is needed would have to be ordered! I'm on day 4 of no hot water, this is absolutely ridiculous. I will NEVER buy another Whirlpool product! This product was installed by Lowe's and inspected by the state, not a DIY!

Original review: June 23, 2018

We have had a Whirlpool hot water heater for 6 years and 14 days. Note the 14 days. It has been nothing but trouble and we have called the company repeatedly for help. It finally stopped working altogether 14 days after the warranty ran out. Thank you Whirlpool for nothing! It had a filter on the bottom of the heater that constantly had to be cleaned which was next to impossible. We had to buy a special brush to try to reach it. My husband had to take it apart several times a year and clean it to keep it running. Whirlpool should have replaced it within the first year but instead offered many suggestions about cleaning and etc. so they would not have to replace. Today it is out of my house for good and I would advise anyone reading this to beware! Horrible product!!!

Original review: April 25, 2018

I bought the Whirlpool model e2h50rd045v electric water heater to replace my failing gas water heater on July 21, 2014, and had it installed a couple of weeks later after a little over 3 years of use. The water heater is still working with no issues or major problems. I'm happy with the decision to purchase this water heater.

Whirlpool Water Heaters Company Information