2. Homeowners

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

American Water Heater Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Water Heater?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Water Heater?

Original review: July 30, 2020

Absolutely horrible products. They fail (leaking tanks) every couple of years and when it comes time to stand behind their product, they do not. They blame the issue on something else like high water pressure...really? On a well? We are lucky to get to 50PSI...the water is filtered and softened...you really can't get better than that. Never again, Will switching to another brand.

Original review: July 9, 2020

After fighting tooth and nail to warranty a faulty heater for my customer I was told that with no one in our area distributing these heaters I had to eat the additional cost to replace something that should have been warrantied. The heater was not even 5 years and old and was leaking through the tank. The service was awful and as a Plumber not worth the time it took to sort out the problem for only a fraction of the cost of a new heater to replace it with. I know we refuse to treat our customers this way so I am baffled to see a company like this so comfortable with it.

Get buying tips about Water Heaters delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

Our water heater is 5 years old and has a issue with the airflow turning the pilot light out. I called the 1-800 number and customer service was very helpful, helped get my pilot light back on, and even had me send in photos of the unit to fix any issues to keep this from happening again. It can be rough taking cold showers but thankfully this company helped us not have to do that.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

Have a 30 gal, started leaking after about 4.5 to 5 years. Called, great at giving rma, but, needs a licensed plumber to exchange the unit, and have to find a place that sells them That would defy the use of having a warranty. The cost to have the plumber take it back, is not worth the hassle to just be gouged with purchase of a new one from a decent company that can simply just exchange it. Just go to the large chain store and get one. They just do not make them like they used to.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

Bought a home with a Polaris combination Water heater and in floor heat furnace. When the unit reached 17 yrs old it began to leak. I had it replaced with the identical unit. 1 yr later it began to leak, it took three weeks to get a replacement unit and had I not hired ABF freight to go to the manufacturer and pick it up it would have been 2 more weeks before they would deliver it. 1 yr later it is leaking again! Now they say they will not replace it. THESE UNITS ARE JUNK....RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

Bought a water heater from Lowe's with 10 yr warranty. The heater started malfunctioning after 2 years. Called American Water Heater since it is still under manufacturer warranty, but got the runaround and they did not honor their warranty. I also have extended warranty through Lowe's but they would not honor the extended warranty until the manufacturer warranty expires.

Original review: April 9, 2019

Had water heater installed in 2012 and it has performed with excellence. Model #BFG6140T403NOV never had any issues. We are looking for a water heater for our farmhouse now and plan on getting one from this company.

Original review: April 2, 2019

We built new house in 2012. Within the first two weeks had to put an element in the thing and my builder took care of that. I should of had them put a new one in then. I installed three elements and two thermostats before realizing this thing had a 6 year warranty. So at 6 years years and 3 months no coverage. Now I am on my own. Nice. I truly liked the heater and the service it gave when it was not being repaired. Note to self... Never repair when it's under warranty. They will not take care of it afterward... Probably won't but this brand for my replacement. Thanks.

Original review: March 15, 2019

The worst experience with this company water heater. After 2 years of use needed replacement because of leakage. My plumber got new water heater by warranty from American and installed it. New water leaked the same day. Don't know what to do now. It cost me a fortune to purchase & install original heater plus

I paid now for labor again. Don't know what to do now. Which company electric heater should I purchase? Appreciate your opinion.

Original review: March 1, 2019

I would give them zero stars if that was an option. Purchased a brand new American Water Heater on 12/19/18. By 2/19/19, it had already stopped working. When my plumber called to get the okay to replace valve & burner assembly, he was on hold for over 1 hour before they would give approval. He replaced the parts and by 2/28/19, the heater was again not functioning. Again he called to speak to a rep at American and was put on hold 3 times. He was on the phone over half an hour and was told we needed to replace burner and valve assembly AGAIN. If that didn't work, would need to replace vent. If that didn't work, they would finally send approval to replace unit.

After expressing my displeasure with this, I was told it's all they would do. This is the worst customer service ever! Their products only deserve to be in the local landfill dump. Luckily my wonderful plumber at William Frankel Plumbing replaced this terrible heater with a brand new Bradford White that so far is working perfectly. Thank goodness for a having a great plumber that stood by me and took care of me when this water heater company did nothing.

American Water Heater author review by ConsumerAffairs

Headquartered in Johnson City, Tenn., American Water Heaters develops water heaters for the residential and commercial markets. Among their various Energy Star rated water heaters they offer solar electric systems that provide up to 70 percent of water heating energy from the sun.

• Types: American offers electric, gas, solar and tankless water heaters ranging from 30-gallons to 98-gallons. They also produce four new, high-efficiency water heaters including a heat-pump hybrid system.

• Sizing guides: Choosing the correct tank size is the first step in picking out a water heater. American provides consumers with sizing guides for residential and commercial water heaters based on the National Appliance Energy Conservation Act (NAECA) guidelines.

• Solar electric systems: American offers solar electric package systems. Consumers can choose from an 80-gallon or 120-gallon unit with direct or indirect solar booster tanks. Each system has a solar energy factor (SEF) of up to 10.1.

• High-efficiency products: Along with the efficient tankless systems, American has developed three new, high-efficiency water heaters. The high-efficiency gas water heater, the Polaris gas water heater and the electric heat-pump hybrid water heater all have controllable panels that can be set to various energy saving modes.

• Mobile app: The American Water Heaters app makes it easier for consumers to shop online for a water heater. By putting in a current unit’s brand and model number, the app will show consumers the closest matching American water heater.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team