Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

American Water Heater Reviews

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

Bought a home with a Polaris combination Water heater and in floor heat furnace. When the unit reached 17 yrs old it began to leak. I had it replaced with the identical unit. 1 yr later it began to leak, it took three weeks to get a replacement unit and had I not hired ABF freight to go to the manufacturer and pick it up it would have been 2 more weeks before they would deliver it. 1 yr later it is leaking again! Now they say they will not replace it. THESE UNITS ARE JUNK....RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

Bought a water heater from Lowe's with 10 yr warranty. The heater started malfunctioning after 2 years. Called American Water Heater since it is still under manufacturer warranty, but got the runaround and they did not honor their warranty. I also have extended warranty through Lowe's but they would not honor the extended warranty until the manufacturer warranty expires.

Get expert buying tips about Water Heaters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 9, 2019

Had water heater installed in 2012 and it has performed with excellence. Model #BFG6140T403NOV never had any issues. We are looking for a water heater for our farmhouse now and plan on getting one from this company.

Original review: April 2, 2019

We built new house in 2012. Within the first two weeks had to put an element in the thing and my builder took care of that. I should of had them put a new one in then. I installed three elements and two thermostats before realizing this thing had a 6 year warranty. So at 6 years years and 3 months no coverage. Now I am on my own. Nice. I truly liked the heater and the service it gave when it was not being repaired. Note to self... Never repair when it's under warranty. They will not take care of it afterward... Probably won't but this brand for my replacement. Thanks.

Original review: March 15, 2019

The worst experience with this company water heater. After 2 years of use needed replacement because of leakage. My plumber got new water heater by warranty from American and installed it. New water leaked the same day. Don't know what to do now. It cost me a fortune to purchase & install original heater plus

I paid now for labor again. Don't know what to do now. Which company electric heater should I purchase? Appreciate your opinion.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Water Heater?

Original review: March 1, 2019

I would give them zero stars if that was an option. Purchased a brand new American Water Heater on 12/19/18. By 2/19/19, it had already stopped working. When my plumber called to get the okay to replace valve & burner assembly, he was on hold for over 1 hour before they would give approval. He replaced the parts and by 2/28/19, the heater was again not functioning. Again he called to speak to a rep at American and was put on hold 3 times. He was on the phone over half an hour and was told we needed to replace burner and valve assembly AGAIN. If that didn't work, would need to replace vent. If that didn't work, they would finally send approval to replace unit.

After expressing my displeasure with this, I was told it's all they would do. This is the worst customer service ever! Their products only deserve to be in the local landfill dump. Luckily my wonderful plumber at William Frankel Plumbing replaced this terrible heater with a brand new Bradford White that so far is working perfectly. Thank goodness for a having a great plumber that stood by me and took care of me when this water heater company did nothing.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

We smelled a gas leak. CenterPoint Energy and the fire department came over to assess the situation. They found out that the safety valve on your water heater wasn’t working and was spewing out gas when the pilot light wasn’t on. Your safety valve made by “Unitrol” assembled in Mexico failed!!! My house was 30 minutes away from blowing up my kids, me and my friends. I will do anything I can to shut you down! How DARE you allow your water heaters to be so dangerous! I’m also a realtor and will make sure everyone knows this!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

My American Water Heater, E52-40H-045D Serial 9709122230 made in 1997 is now 21 years old. I just refinanced my house and had to get new insurance. They questioned the age of my water heater and I told them, "So what?" It looks like it's new, I have a timer that shuts it off for 10 hours at tonight, and it is in the garage. If it were to leak it would run down the driveway. I have not done one repair job on it, eg. new elements and don't plan to replace it until it stops working. Highly recommend buying one.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I have supplied the information requested for my leaking water heater. I was told a supervisor would call me back in 1-2 hours. After 5 hours I called again and was told that the supervisor had left for the day. So I am without hot water for another day and I am unable to take a shower. Representative told me there is no telephone number for their corporate office as the supervisor is the only one with the number.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

We built our home brand new and after 3.5 years our water heater started leaking. Plumber came out and said the water heater was rusted beyond repair. The plumber took it to the store it was purchased at and was replaced under warranty. The labor was out of pocket of course (no warranty for that) but I was happy for the warranty. Our new water heater started leaking buckets of water from the pressure valve 2.5 years later (February 2018). Plumber came out to look at it and said he would try replacing the pressure valve first, upon disassembling the pressure valve he noticed a lot of rust. Further inspection uncovered that the whole water heater was so rusted he didn’t think he would be able to put it back together!!!

I called American Water Heater and spoke with customer service and they informed me that the second water heater piggybacks the 6 year warranty of the original water heater thus making my warranty no good by only 2 months. Even though the second water heater states 6 year warranty on the label, that warranty is no good due to it already being a replacement. So 6 years and 2 months later I am on my 3rd water heater and guess what? IT'S NOT AN AMERICAN WATER HEATER THIS TIME!!! Anyone that reads this should be on notice that these water heaters are JUNK. Yes I said junk and after my 3rd water heater I looked at reviews and there are lots and lots of broken record stories just like mine and worse due to no warranty. I would not recommend this company or their products to anyone. BUYER BEWARE!!!

American Water Heater expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Headquartered in Johnson City, Tenn., American Water Heaters develops water heaters for the residential and commercial markets. Among their various Energy Star rated water heaters they offer solar electric systems that provide up to 70 percent of water heating energy from the sun.

• Types: American offers electric, gas, solar and tankless water heaters ranging from 30-gallons to 98-gallons. They also produce four new, high-efficiency water heaters including a heat-pump hybrid system.

• Sizing guides: Choosing the correct tank size is the first step in picking out a water heater. American provides consumers with sizing guides for residential and commercial water heaters based on the National Appliance Energy Conservation Act (NAECA) guidelines.

• Solar electric systems: American offers solar electric package systems. Consumers can choose from an 80-gallon or 120-gallon unit with direct or indirect solar booster tanks. Each system has a solar energy factor (SEF) of up to 10.1.

• High-efficiency products: Along with the efficient tankless systems, American has developed three new, high-efficiency water heaters. The high-efficiency gas water heater, the Polaris gas water heater and the electric heat-pump hybrid water heater all have controllable panels that can be set to various energy saving modes.

• Mobile app: The American Water Heaters app makes it easier for consumers to shop online for a water heater. By putting in a current unit’s brand and model number, the app will show consumers the closest matching American water heater.

• Best for: Consumers looking for energy efficient residential and commercial water heaters.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs