1.40/5
Based on 103 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

265 American Water Heater Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 24, 2018

I have supplied the information requested for my leaking water heater. I was told a supervisor would call me back in 1-2 hours. After 5 hours I called again and was told that the supervisor had left for the day. So I am without hot water for another day and I am unable to take a shower. Representative told me there is no telephone number for their corporate office as the supervisor is the only one with the number.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

We built our home brand new and after 3.5 years our water heater started leaking. Plumber came out and said the water heater was rusted beyond repair. The plumber took it to the store it was purchased at and was replaced under warranty. The labor was out of pocket of course (no warranty for that) but I was happy for the warranty. Our new water heater started leaking buckets of water from the pressure valve 2.5 years later (February 2018). Plumber came out to look at it and said he would try replacing the pressure valve first, upon disassembling the pressure valve he noticed a lot of rust. Further inspection uncovered that the whole water heater was so rusted he didn’t think he would be able to put it back together!!!

I called American Water Heater and spoke with customer service and they informed me that the second water heater piggybacks the 6 year warranty of the original water heater thus making my warranty no good by only 2 months. Even though the second water heater states 6 year warranty on the label, that warranty is no good due to it already being a replacement. So 6 years and 2 months later I am on my 3rd water heater and guess what? IT'S NOT AN AMERICAN WATER HEATER THIS TIME!!! Anyone that reads this should be on notice that these water heaters are JUNK. Yes I said junk and after my 3rd water heater I looked at reviews and there are lots and lots of broken record stories just like mine and worse due to no warranty. I would not recommend this company or their products to anyone. BUYER BEWARE!!!

Get expert buying tips about Water Heaters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

Do not buy a water heater from American Water Heater Company. We purchased our home in 2015,the water heater was updated as an upgrade by former home owners to sell the home better. We have been here now for 2.5 years, and our water heater needs replacing. But because we are not the original home owners, our fairly new, albeit crappy, hot water heater is not covered under warranty. So, now, we have to go buy a new one. Because who wouldn’t want to spend $800 replacing a major appliance less than 4 years after it was installed? I have two small children, so cold water isn’t really an option for more than a couple days. So we have to do it now. Bad warranty conditions, poor quality hot water heater. Will NOT be buying this brand as replacement. Side note, won’t be buying much for a while, since all our money will now be going to a hot water heater. Please, please, please do NOT support this company, for your own good.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

My wife had a PowerFlex water heater installed in April of 2008, before we were together. In September 2013, it began leaking from the bottom. They said to take it to Lowe's for a replacement as it was within the 6 year warranty period. The replacement I installed on October 20, 2013. The pressure relief valve started leaking in January 2017. I called for a replacement and was told it was out of the warranty period! What!

Yes, they claim that since there were 5 months left on the warranty period of the original unit, and this is a "replacement", and doesn't carry a 6 yr warranty! What BS! THIS IS A DIFFERENT HEATER, BRAND NEW OUT OF THE BOX! No biggie, I replaced the pressure relief valve myself. Meantime it starts leaking out the bottom in the same exact spot as the first one! MANUFACTURING DEFECT??? Anyway, they continue to not stand behind their "MADE IN USA" product! They should be put out of business! I filled a complaint with the NYS Attorney General last month, and today with the Johnson City Tennessee Better Business Bureau, and the Tennessee Attorney General! Don't have a thousand dollars for another tank! And this one's going to blow any day and ruin our finished basement. Lowe's doesn't even carry them anymore because of all of the issues! Go figure.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

Water Heater was purchased 6/28/14 at Lowe's. It broke the first time on 9/15/16. AWH shipped a new gas valve to us and I paid for shipping ($30) and paid for installation ($228). The unit broke again on 12/28/17 and again, AWH is shipping us a gas valve at our expense ($30) although the plumber asked them to also send a thermocouple to ensure we get all the necessary parts but they refused. We have already paid the plumber (who they authorized) $95 and will need to pay him more money to come after hours on Saturday to hopefully fix the unit. We won't know if they sent the right parts until he tries to fix it with the new gas valve.

When my husband called AWH on 12/28/17, the service customer rep hung up on him because she said she didn't have time to wait for him to open the water heater door to give her the serial number. He was standing at the door, about to open it. A broken unit less than 2.5 years after purchase is disappointing. A broken unit 15 months after the first repair is inexcusable and unacceptable!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Water Heater?

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

Had a plumber install my water heater incorrectly, called Rheem and they put me in contact with Carlos at American Water Heater. It is just a few days before Christmas and I was not even sure Carlos could look at my water heater, not to mention replace it. I was hoping he could at least look at it. Instead, he not only looked at it but replaced it, all the same day. Amazing! Would recommend American Water Heater in Miami to any and all friends. Awesome service, very professional, timely. If you have a problem with a water heater in Miami you should make one call, American Water Heater.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

Called customer service about my hot water heater which is under warranty. They said that the serial number is listed under someone else name. Had me email the Data Plate to an email address that kicked back as undelivered. Called again. Had to explain it all over. The person gave me another email address which work. The customer service person called and told me to call back. I did but had to explain it again to a third person because they could not connect me to the second person. That person wanted a copy of the purchase receipt. I told her that I just bought the house. After being on hold, she told me that a supervisor had to review it but could not tell me when. In the meanwhile I have no hot water!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

The water heater is manufactured by American Water Heater and sold under various names including Whirlpool. It was sold in Home Depot, Lowe's and lots of other places. 7 years ago it was installed. Nothing but problems. As other reviews said the flame keeps going out. They came out and kept fixing it. They replaced a part but that only worked for a short period. I understand that a company needs to make money but American Water Heater is just a crap product. Lowe's stopped carrying it last year. They want me to buy another hot water heater because it's 7 years old. That is just crazy.

For those people who put up a review a few weeks after you get it and say how great it is should realize that a product should work. After a while people start having problems and see that others are having the exact same problem. The people at American Water Heater were just plain nasty to me. $165 will get me a new part + shipping plus installation and they aren't sure it will work and if it does for how long.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

Envirotemp 40 gal natural gas water heater - 11 months old and will not stay lit. All but 1 tech the warranty people sent me too will come out. I have to pay upfront and then be reimbursed from the warranty. I am getting no help with the warranty people. It is still under warranty, it replaced a 15 year old water heater that I did nothing to. This is garbage, and to take advantage of the elderly like this, will never buy anything to do with this brand again. Terrible treatment.

Original review: July 24, 2017

Last week I purchased AWH hot water heater model PVG6240T50NVS and installed it according to their manual. However product has number of safety issues including exposed wire between the furnace and control unit at the bottom. The cover at the bottom does not shield the wiring and it appears their engineer have no clue about the consequences of the exposed wire next to the heat source. Their customer support/tech support has no clue of their product. I wonder if they have quality control engineer that inspects the product before shipping out. This company is worthless organization and should be reviewed for lack of safety issues related to their product.

Original review: July 20, 2017

I purchased a new Whirlpool gas hot water tank from Lowe's in 2015. The hot water tank worked great up until this month. The pilot light went out. I called the number on the hot water tank, and they sent a new thermopile for free, but I had to pay $30.00 to have it sent the next day. I paid a plumber to install the new unit. It worked for 3 weeks then went out again. I am having to relight the unit every day. I called American Water Heaters (manufacturer) about the issue. The tech and the supervisor both said it may be the gas line, but I would have to have a plumber come out to diagnose it. Another additional cost paid by me. I told her that I did not think it was fair to ask the consumer pay for a faulty unit or design on their part. Without going into a longer drawn out story... do not buy a unit from this company. Whirlpool slapped their name on it, but it is not worth the trouble.

Original review: June 11, 2017

I purchased two (2) gas American Water Heaters and installed them in a new home in March 2013. One heater failed in June 2016 after 3 years. The second hot water heater failed June 2017 after 4 years. The heaters are supposed to have a 6 year warranty. These hot water heaters have not been reliable. The company does not support the warranty of The Hot Water Heater.

Original review: May 24, 2017

Never, never, never buy a hot water heater from this company. We replaced an old tank with an American Water Heater product in 2013. It had a 6-year warranty. April 1, 2017 we discovered it was leaking. The water did significant damage which took $2,000 and 3 weeks to repair. But that was only the beginning of the nightmare. Since the tank was still under warranty, I contacted AWH and requested a new tank. They supplied one. It was installed on April 18, 2017. The pilot light will not remain lit! The very reputable service company I had install it has been back 10 TIMES in the past 36 DAYS to try to get this piece of junk to work. The gas line has been checked by the gas company. It's fine.

Every part in the tank that could be replaced has been replaced. Every possible venting issue has been investigated and corrected IN CONSULTATION with AWH, according to their own manual and with their "tech" support by phone. Still, the pilot light will not remain lit. We have had hot water at this house for 17 years with no problems at all. No venting issues blowing out the pilot light. The problem is not with our house. Suddenly, after installing this current hot water tank, nothing but problems and no consistent hot water. We have to check that the pilot is still lit every day, and it usually isn't, so we have to light it again and wait. This is a ridiculous state of affairs. Customer service is terrible.

The installation company techs have called AWH "tech" support countless times, most recently to request a replacement tank because they have done all they can, IN CONSULTATION with AWH to rectify the problem. When they were told, "No replacement", they suggested I call. I did and was told by Michael that I had to call another HVAC professional to come out and evaluate the venting situation, which, of course, I would have to pay for.

The installation company techs are HVAC professionals! So, I'm supposed to pay to have another HVAC person come out and tell me the exact same thing the current HVAC person has told me. (A big problem with customer service is you can't speak to the same person who helped you before. They refuse to transfer you, "I can't transfer you, but I can help you with that problem." So you have tell all the same information over and over and over again, even though, "I have all the notes on the account here." I spoke to Jessica, the install tech spoke to Crystal, I spoke to Michael - this is all on the same day within two hours! Nonsense!)

Then, after going around in circles, I asked Michael who I could send a letter of complaint to. He gave me a regular mailing address, no email, no name. When I requested a name, he told me it went directly to the VP. I asked for his/her name. He told me he couldn't tell me that because of privacy issues! Really?! Michael said it's just like all companies, you can't give out the names. I responded that my clients know my name because I stand behind what I do, and I want them to know who is responsible. Silence from Michael. Anyway, after googling, I found that the Senior VP & General Manager was Kevin J. Wheeler, but he's just been promoted to President & COO. According to the blurb about him, he has a "passionate interest in customer satisfaction." What a joke. No one who makes decisions at this company cares about customer satisfaction.

So, I'm left with no choice but to buy a new water heater (NOT American Water Heater brand) and pay for installation again! They will do nothing to compensate me for having to replace their only 4-year-old defective water heater in the first place, nor provide a replacement for the new one just installed that won't work. The upshot of all this is a $2.69 billion dollar company has no interest whatsoever in whether you are satisfied with their product or not. They could lose a customer a minute everyday and it wouldn't bother them a bit. There is no incentive other than common decency and good business practice that would make them care about you or your issue with their products. They absolutely don't care. Good luck to anyone who purchases an American Water Heater brand tank.

Original review: May 14, 2017

Bought the house in 1992. Had a 5 year old gas water heater. Had it replaced in 2004 because it developed a pin-hole leak next to discharge tube. Hey, 17 years was a long time! It didn't owe me anything. My gas service provider is KEYSPAN. They carried American Water Heaters brand with a 6-year warranty and did the new install. It's a 40 gallon tank, natural gas, model # FG6140S403NOV. Four of us live in house and use water on a normal level. This water heater is now getting towards the end of its life. Had it serviced today by my contracted (by KEYSPAN) service person from HOMESERVE. The technician changed the thermo-coupler and informed us that the unit is rusting within and is close to the end. He recommended a new one to be installed soon and to contact HomeServe to purchase it. Schedule the install. On May 15, I will be making the call.

So, here's my question: of all of the folks here who have complained about their water heaters, have any of you done any kind of regular maintenance on them yourselves? It's very simple: once, every three months, you drain 1 1/2 gallons of water from the heater. As you do this, you will see bits of rust or rusty colored water. This is caused by what is IN your water: Trace metals, and minerals. Keep the heater area clear and well ventilated. Vacuum around and under it. Keep it set to the proper temperature. And, for those who really don't know: Natural gas pipelines contain a minute amount of humidity. You will have rust and calcium build-up on the thermo-coupler. In time, it will stop working which is also a safety feature by stopping the flow of gas to the unit. It's telling you that it is time to replace me. This prevents a gas leak that may prove fatal.

I took the contract for service for peace of mind. They cover all of my utilities and will show up when I yell for help. They fix, and leave. I don't even have to sign anything. So, in 25 years, I have gone through one, and soon to be my second water heater. I have no complaints about American. I just stay on top of cleanliness and simple maintenance. It serves me very well.

Original review: April 12, 2017

Purchased Hot Water Heater via Lowe's and purchased the extended warranty. At six months in, AWH refused our claim on their one year manufacturer's warranty because our HWH is installed in a vented closet within our 1/2 bath on the our first floor. At no time during the purchase or installation, did Lowe's inform us that the warranty would be null and void. However - Lowe's insists that they will cover us during the initial one year + our five year extended warranty. Here we are 2 years in and it breaks again. Lowe's sends our service request to AWH and they refuse to service our unit (based on Lowe's extended warranty - Lowe's will pay them!) due to their void language in their booklet. THEY ARE RUDE, HORRIBLE, AND THE ABSOLUTE WORST COMPANY EVER! If zero stars was an option, I would select zero. One star is an insult to other one star companies. DO NOT BUY WHIRLPOOL PRODUCTS!!

Original review: April 6, 2017

I was researching hot water gas hot water tanks. I have a American PowerFlex in my house now installed by me in my closet. Believe it or not that was 20 years + and it is still working fine. No complaints. The noise of the fan is annoying. So since that time I built a attached garage and have added hot water heat with the boiler in the garage. I want to either move the PowerFlex hot water into the garage and hook the exhaust into the exhaust pipe in the boiler without the PowerFlex fan if that can be done? Or buy a new hot water tank because maybe I am on borrowed time with the old one? But American water heater I have had good 20 year service with won't continue on with that brand. Any suggestions?

Original review: Feb. 21, 2017

Our home warranty company chose the American hot water tank as a replacement for our old water heater, we had no part in selecting this poor quality product from this manufacturer. The heater did not produce hot water and it did not have enough hot water stored for more than 5-10 minutes of usage be it laundry, a shower, or hand washing dishes. Home warranty company did not respond when promised during the first six months of receiving American hot water heater. Yesterday, February 20, 2017, 6 months and 20 days after the American hot water tank was installed, the unit stopped working. There is power to it, it is not leaking, and resetting it did not resolve the problem. Home warranty company referred me to American Hot Water whom has a unusually high call volume every time I call, so I have been unable to reach them. Today is day two of trying to contact American Hot Water Heater.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2017

I own a small business, and purchased an American brand water heater. It stopped heating up water so I called tech support. They recommended a plumbing company. Took them THREE weeks of guessing and trying replacing different parts to finally give up and send a new unit. Now I have a bill of almost $3000. I could've bought 2 brand new water heaters!!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2016

We have a customer who purchased a model BFG61-50T40-3NOV S/N 1136T463465 3/13/2012. This is still covered under the 6 year warranty. Our tech called American and the tech knew exactly what the problem was and sent a new gas valve to replace. This is where the defect in workmanship occurs. The gas valve nipple is made of a thin plastic. The nipple had small traces of Teflon tape over the threaded portion of the valve. Upon removal of the valve the nipple broke off. Leaving the nipple stuck inside the water heater. The effort to remove the nipple were unsuccessful.

So here we are on Friday afternoon to try and get our customer with hot water over the weekend. We took the initiative to replace the water heater with same make & model, thus the customer was taking care of. I called American to seek a credit for the replacement tank. In good conscience I thought a manufacturer as big as American would issue a credit due to a manufacturer defect but to no avail. American's technical department said that I could beat on the broken part with a hammer and it would not harm the threaded portion of the tank where the nipple was stuck. I find that hard to believe. I would just like to seek a credit for replacement water heater.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2016

Model # BFG6240S403NOV. As soon as I called plumber about this water heater, he told me "let me guess. Thermostat issue right?" I have replaced three thermostat within last 4 years. Company is failed to provide after sales service for well known issue. Company is offering free parts but refuse to pay labor chargers which range from $150 to $250 per installation.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2016

I bought a 58 GAL Electric American Water Heater 6 YEAR in 2006 and it's still going strong. Best Water Heater I have ever had. I need to retrofit so I thought I'd put in a replacement because the heater is way past its shelf life even though it works as new. Current health makes me want to get it installed now so I don't have issues in the near future. I am searching for the same Heater that is NEW 2016. Best Water Heater Ever. I'm scared to get something made in China. All You people who are complaining must be doing so about a GAS Heater. BIG difference. Please be specific.

Original review: June 17, 2016

My husband and I have had nothing but problems working with this company. Their product is inferior. We have had more than 3 complaints with this water heater. Within 3 weeks of my husband passing away, we have had the control valve/thermostat fail, twice. The day of his memorial, my entire family had to go to neighbors to get hot showers. The using of "American" in their name is misleading and manipulative. I hope to spare other customers the utter pain and frustrating at dealing with this so-called company.

Original review: June 16, 2016

My water heater stopped producing hot water on 06/06/2016. On 06/16/2016, after several visits by my plumber, Big City Plumbing, my water heater was replaced by a new American Water Heater: model # g61-50T40 400 (the box indicated a new 6 year warranty...). I have a 6 year warranty on the old Water heater effective 01-18-2012. So, after 4 years the water heater had to be replaced. My issues are: Water heater had to be replaced after only 4 years. Per Melanie at American Water Heater Company: they only prorate my warranty on the new water heater by the remaining warranty on the original water heater. That implies that they do not have much faith in their product. I would not recommend this company for water heaters.

Original review: May 23, 2016

If I could rate the service of this company less than one star I would. This is the biggest crook of poo that I have EVER witnessed. We purchased our new hot water tank from Sears in Nov of 12 and have had nothing but issues since. The first one happened in Oct of 14 and every couple months since we've had something happen. Not every time do we call to talk to the warranty company because when we call in Oct of 15 (with another issue of it not staying lit) they gave us a 'how to light' manual and said, "When it goes out, try these things then call if there are still issues".

So anyway, every couple months we call and they tell us to take something apart and clean it then relight and we're good for a little bit but then the same stuff happens again. The last issue that occurred on 5.12.16. This is the one that has cost us the most. This time, we paid the contractor they send $169 to tell us they couldn't fix it and that we would be a WEEK without hot water. A WEEK, there is a 8-year-old boy living at my house and I would go a week as a 75-year-old women without hot water. This is ridiculous! As many times as we have had issues and yet again they are coming out to fix the same stuff that has been fixed before, we still are not permitted a new hot water tank. This is the worst warranty I've ever experienced in my life and I've seen some shady stuff. I will NEVER purchase another Whirlpool, especially if I know American Water Heater Company is attached in any way.

Original review: April 18, 2016

I bought a 75-gallon water heater from Lowe's made by American Water Heater. In June 2013, it broke and received a replacement unit under warranty through Lowe's at a price of $600. In April 2016, the new unit UBG62-75-T75-4NV started leaking again. I contacted a licensed plumber and diagnosed that the inner tank was ruptured and not repairable. I've reported American Water Heater and they issued a Return Authorization number after more than 10 phone calls, wasting a few hours each time of phone call. I went to Lowe's with the authorization number and the Lowe's needs to find out the replacement unit because the unit I have is no longer available. The manufacturer, John from American Water Heater, said the replacement unit is VG6275T100NV. Later Lowe's told me that the replacement unit VG6275T100NV is priced at $3700.

The Lowe's told me that I have to pay the difference of $600 and $3700; in other words, I have to pay $3100. Now all I am asking is to replace my water heater since it's supposed to be covered by 6-year warranty. Mine is less than 3 years. But then, I have to pay $3100 additionally after warranty coverage? What kind of warranty is it? There must be a fraud here. After two weeks of agonized talks with American Water Heater and Lowe's, I had to give up this battle and ask a local plumber to install a totally different brand water heater because I desperately need hot water. I can't believe this type of irrational business is still around in the greatest nation like America. Thanks for reading my horrible experience.

Original review: Feb. 29, 2016

Very little hot water. I have to rush thru my shower to be able to have enough hot water. And even then there isn't enough to do any extras such as shave legs/pits or to scrub brush my back or feet. I have to skip washing my hair to be able to fit anything else in. I called the company that installed the water heater and they told me that while using the hot water, cold water enters the tank, so there is less and less of it. What a bunch of hooey. I didn't have this problem with my old water heater that is the exact same size, in fact, I would take a leisurely shower and still be able to have another person shower immediately after me. This is a piece of junk! And to top it off, the jerks that installed it WAY overcharged me. I am going to have to replace this piece of costly junk. I don't need to stress over having enough hot water to get through my shower every morning; I have enough stress in my life without that.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2016

Purchased Envirotemp water heater from Lowe's on 11/22/2015. Seemed to work ok at first. Now as you're taking a shower within 5 minutes or less you have to turn the cold water down to get hot water. In a 15 minute shower, by the time you are finished you have to have the cold water turned all the way off to have hot water. The company keeps telling us that it is not their tank that is faulty, that it must be a water leak or faulty water faucet on our part.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2015

Well within the warranty period my water heater pilot would not stay light, hard to relight and went off again. Contacted warranty service. They sent instructions by email and wanted to refer me to local plumbers on their own list. I was able to relight the pilot only if the metal cover over the valve was not used. No parts sent although they would recommend the most likely part needed was an inexpensive thermo couple. None sent. I'm wondering now if running the heater without the plate across the valve (the only way it stayed on for months) is safe.

Now I'm 5 weeks past the 6 year parts warranty and can't get heater to work. I called, explained to first person then to 'manager' named Fernando. I should get some help considering this is a long standing problem they never helped me with while under the useless warranty. And that I felt now they're laughing at me even after telling them I have a special needs child who needs to be kept clean.

If you consider this product has no warranty protection really on their equipment other than 6 year inner tank 6 year parts. Well they're not even willing to send a $ 10 dollar part unless you pay a plumber's service call first. I believe the people manning the phones for this companies warranty work aren't helping the consumer and the boiler plate warranty is useless unless the tank springs a leak which is not the most likely failure. Reading other people's experience of poor service if the tank floods their home or that they complain of pilot light not staying on being a common problem (and mine also) suggests this company is laughing at their consumer's problems more than helping them resolve issues.

Resolution response: Dec. 31, 2015

Since writing this report, the company has come in and changed our hot water tank out for a new one. We are very thankful for them doing so but it shouldn't have been such a battle. Crossing our fingers all goes well with the new one.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2015

My husband and I built a new home and moved into it the end of August 2015. Right from the start there were issues with our hot water tank. It was leaking and it was trying to ignite about every 30 seconds. We immediately contacted the company who installed it (Jetco Mechanical) and they had several of their plumbers look at it when they came in to fix other infractions. In total they looked at it approx 4-6 different times, cleaned the filter a few times, could not figure out where the leak was and then left telling us that because of the construction going on outside we were going to have this issue until it stops. This did not seem right so we got hold of our builder and since then we have had the manufacturer rep plumbing company visit, Ye Olde Plumber.

During his two visits this plumber was able to fix the leak (this is 3 months after we moved in), he replaced all components in the tank but it still was not working properly. He then indicated that he was sent a notice by the manufacturer that was issued a while back that a specific type of filter needs to be installed to make it work. He said he would order this. He then bypassed something on the tank so that it would work and we would have hot water (Later the manufacturer told me that he had disengaged the pressure switch and this was safe practice) and left...

Two weeks later we heard nothing so I called Ye Olde Plumber... They would look into this. When we heard nothing again I decided to call the manufacturer direct. They indicated that they would look into this right away. He did what he said and we had another plumber from yet another company come and install this filter. (9 visits to date and lots of time taken off work for my husband and I). Unfortunately this filter that they added did not work and the plumber left saying that he could not fix it and left leaving us without hot water(this was on a friday).

I contacted the manufacturer right away and he said that he would send the plumber back that day but he never did show, We called our builder, Accropolis, right after this happened and he has not returned our call. We called the manufacturer and he will not return our call. We have called Jetco and they indicated that they cannot do anything. Every company that we have dealt with has told us that they cannot authorize a new hot water tank and puts the onus on one of the others... not sure where to go from here.

We really do not want to use any hot water tanks manufactured by this company anymore. They have shown their true colors and we believe their product to be poor quality and we have now experienced their horrible service. Would hate to go through issues with them again in the future. Details on the tank I am referring to: Model # PC 199-50-3NV. Product #: 0320039. Serial #: 1428T491590. See attached pictures.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2015

Ordered an anode rod for our hot water heater from AWH. Never received any confirmation or tracking number (but they were quick to charge the credit card). After several weeks, the rod still hadn't shown up. Called AWH, and they said "well, there was a problem with UPS" (blame someone else!) By that time, we couldn't use the hot water, so we had a plumber bring the part. AWH said they would refund the money (3X what the plumber charged!) to our credit card. After 5 weeks and no sign of a refund, we called AWH. They said they had sent the credit to the cc company the day after I cancelled and that the cc company would take 4-6 weeks to post it (blame someone else!). Called the cc company - they, of course, had no record of ever receiving any credit from American Water Heater. The credit card company is handling this refund now.

American Water Heater expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Headquartered in Johnson City, Tenn., American Water Heaters develops water heaters for the residential and commercial markets. Among their various Energy Star rated water heaters they offer solar electric systems that provide up to 70 percent of water heating energy from the sun.

• Types: American offers electric, gas, solar and tankless water heaters ranging from 30-gallons to 98-gallons. They also produce four new, high-efficiency water heaters including a heat-pump hybrid system.

• Sizing guides: Choosing the correct tank size is the first step in picking out a water heater. American provides consumers with sizing guides for residential and commercial water heaters based on the National Appliance Energy Conservation Act (NAECA) guidelines.

• Solar electric systems: American offers solar electric package systems. Consumers can choose from an 80-gallon or 120-gallon unit with direct or indirect solar booster tanks. Each system has a solar energy factor (SEF) of up to 10.1.

• High-efficiency products: Along with the efficient tankless systems, American has developed three new, high-efficiency water heaters. The high-efficiency gas water heater, the Polaris gas water heater and the electric heat-pump hybrid water heater all have controllable panels that can be set to various energy saving modes.

• Mobile app: The American Water Heaters app makes it easier for consumers to shop online for a water heater. By putting in a current unit’s brand and model number, the app will show consumers the closest matching American water heater.

• Best for: Consumers looking for energy efficient residential and commercial water heaters.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs