2. Homeowners

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

American Water Heater Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Water Heater?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Water Heater?

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

Cannot get hold of them on phone. Been waiting for 2hrs. They just don't care! Tried calling again and again. No reply. Been trying for 3 days. My heater pressure relief valve is not working and I am leaking water.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

Bought water heater with warranty 2009 - heater leaked - they agreed to replace but no plumber would take their job - so they offer 419$ only - can't buy water heater for that price - do not buy heater from this company - useless customer service.

Get buying tips about Water Heaters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2020

I purchased a new house built by D.R. Horton. The house came with a preinstalled water heater. The water heater failed with internal leak exactly in less than three years. I called the American Water Heater Company and they agreed to provide a replacement water heater. They referred me to Northside Plumbing to get a similar water heater. Their supplier (Northside) is now asking $60 for the paper work and the original tag attached to the water heater. The total cost to get it installed, get the tag from the original heater (making two trips) and installation is more than getting a new water heater from a different manufacturer. Never purchase any product made by American Water Heater which is now owned by A.O. Smith.

Original review: July 30, 2020

Absolutely horrible products. They fail (leaking tanks) every couple of years and when it comes time to stand behind their product, they do not. They blame the issue on something else like high water pressure...really? On a well? We are lucky to get to 50PSI...the water is filtered and softened...you really can't get better than that. Never again, Will switching to another brand.

Original review: July 9, 2020

After fighting tooth and nail to warranty a faulty heater for my customer I was told that with no one in our area distributing these heaters I had to eat the additional cost to replace something that should have been warrantied. The heater was not even 5 years and old and was leaking through the tank. The service was awful and as a Plumber not worth the time it took to sort out the problem for only a fraction of the cost of a new heater to replace it with. I know we refuse to treat our customers this way so I am baffled to see a company like this so comfortable with it.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

Our water heater is 5 years old and has a issue with the airflow turning the pilot light out. I called the 1-800 number and customer service was very helpful, helped get my pilot light back on, and even had me send in photos of the unit to fix any issues to keep this from happening again. It can be rough taking cold showers but thankfully this company helped us not have to do that.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

Have a 30 gal, started leaking after about 4.5 to 5 years. Called, great at giving rma, but, needs a licensed plumber to exchange the unit, and have to find a place that sells them That would defy the use of having a warranty. The cost to have the plumber take it back, is not worth the hassle to just be gouged with purchase of a new one from a decent company that can simply just exchange it. Just go to the large chain store and get one. They just do not make them like they used to.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

Bought a home with a Polaris combination Water heater and in floor heat furnace. When the unit reached 17 yrs old it began to leak. I had it replaced with the identical unit. 1 yr later it began to leak, it took three weeks to get a replacement unit and had I not hired ABF freight to go to the manufacturer and pick it up it would have been 2 more weeks before they would deliver it. 1 yr later it is leaking again! Now they say they will not replace it. THESE UNITS ARE JUNK....RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

Bought a water heater from Lowe's with 10 yr warranty. The heater started malfunctioning after 2 years. Called American Water Heater since it is still under manufacturer warranty, but got the runaround and they did not honor their warranty. I also have extended warranty through Lowe's but they would not honor the extended warranty until the manufacturer warranty expires.

Original review: April 9, 2019

Had water heater installed in 2012 and it has performed with excellence. Model #BFG6140T403NOV never had any issues. We are looking for a water heater for our farmhouse now and plan on getting one from this company.

American Water Heater author review by ConsumerAffairs

Headquartered in Johnson City, Tenn., American Water Heaters develops water heaters for the residential and commercial markets. Among their various Energy Star rated water heaters they offer solar electric systems that provide up to 70 percent of water heating energy from the sun.

• Types: American offers electric, gas, solar and tankless water heaters ranging from 30-gallons to 98-gallons. They also produce four new, high-efficiency water heaters including a heat-pump hybrid system.

• Sizing guides: Choosing the correct tank size is the first step in picking out a water heater. American provides consumers with sizing guides for residential and commercial water heaters based on the National Appliance Energy Conservation Act (NAECA) guidelines.

• Solar electric systems: American offers solar electric package systems. Consumers can choose from an 80-gallon or 120-gallon unit with direct or indirect solar booster tanks. Each system has a solar energy factor (SEF) of up to 10.1.

• High-efficiency products: Along with the efficient tankless systems, American has developed three new, high-efficiency water heaters. The high-efficiency gas water heater, the Polaris gas water heater and the electric heat-pump hybrid water heater all have controllable panels that can be set to various energy saving modes.

• Mobile app: The American Water Heaters app makes it easier for consumers to shop online for a water heater. By putting in a current unit’s brand and model number, the app will show consumers the closest matching American water heater.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team