Whirlpool Washing Machines

Compare Washers and Dryers

Research top Washers and Dryers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

If you are in the market for a new washing machine, steer clear of the Whirlpool Cabrio (or any Whirlpool for that matter). We have had issues with ours from the beginning. We had Whirlpool techs come out and were continually unable to fix the issues. Eventually they told them that it was not broken, even though one tech told us it definitely was. After four service calls they just stopped sending out techs and told us too bad. Now after less than two years it is leaking from the bottom. Yeah, Whirlpool, there's no problem with it. Save yourself the potential headache and get something else. Anything else.

Whirlpool Cabrio Platinum Washer - Worst purchase ever! Washer will NOT clean clothes. It leaves detergent residue on everything and I use liquid detergent. All of my husband’s dark police uniforms have grey powdery looking streaks on them after they come out of the machine. Does not matter how I load the clothes. The horrible results are the same. Even rewash and extra rinse, streaks are still there. This model, Cabrio Platinum was very expensive! Never buy a Whirlpool.

Purchased top loading Whirlpool Washer WTW5000DW0 10/12/2015 at Best Buy's, first no agitator machine for us. Two weeks later I call for repair service because of the noise from tub. Explained in other reviews as earthquake or jet engines. The machine is in the garage and can be heard through the walls into the house. Repair tells this is normal for the machine and it must be our first none agitator machine.

I then purchased a extended warranty policy through Whirlpool. 12/13/2016 machine no longer washing clothes. Call Whirlpool for service. Repair came out 01/17/2017 (a month later). Washer plate had to be replaced. The gear was completely shredded. Not in stock, waited 2 weeks to get repaired. Tension springs on outer tub replaced at same time. Was told the excessive grinding and bumping of the tub was not the reason for the gear shredding.

06/30/2017 same problem, I set a repair date 07/01/2017 between 8:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. No one shows and no call. I call Whirlpool and they are sorry and set the appointment the same day for before 5:00 p.m. No one shows our calls. I call back. Already closed. I call the next day. Sets a new date 07/05/2017, 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Same problem. I called back speak to a supervisor who says he'll get to problem and find out what's wrong. Sets a new date 07/08/2017 8:00 to 12:00 p.m. 07/07/2017 I get a call after 5:00 p.m. that the repairman is not available and can we reset for 07/13/2017. I hung up and called back the next day and spoke to a supervisor I had previously spoke with. He called an outside repair company that Whirlpool uses in this area.

New date 07/12/2017. Repairman shows and I explain the washer plate was loose again and I smelled metal burning. I had told my wife to continue to use the machine to wash the clothes. The repairman tells me I voided the warranty by doing this. I'm standing in the garage while he has his head in the machine trying to get the washer plate out. He shuts the lid and turns the machine on wash/spin says the machine is ok. We have an exchange of words and tell him I want to see the washer plate gears. He says he can't get the plate out now and I wasn't there for him to show it to me. This continued until he forced the plate off.

He called Tech Support to say I voided the warranty. He told them customer claims loud noises and banging. I asked to speak to Tech but he tells me they don't speak with the customer. I looked at the gears on the washer plate and the transmission. Both had metal shavings. He tells me he is going to do me a favor and replace both. It's supposed to take a week. Wait and see. I have asked for a replacement or money for the machine through Whirlpool. I was told there has to be at least 4 repair requests for the same problem and the repairman has to determine that there is a problem or that it's a lemon. I will not recommend or purchase another Whirlpool product.

I bought this washer because we are a family of 6 that washed a lot of laundry. I bought the extended warranty from Lowe's but not sure if this thing can even be fixed. The guy has been out twice. Replaced the control panel. I cannot wash more than 3 towels or it comes unbalanced and goes crazy. I need this fixed. I am so irritated. A recall needs to happen.

Bought the Duet front loader washer and dryer. Nothing but problems and repairs. When I decided to throw in the towel and buy new machines my repair man convinced me to buy Whirlpool again - Cabrio. Said they are amazing. Love them except the holes in my shirts. I bag my delicates but apparently I have to bag everything. So sorry I bought them. There was a day when you could count on Whirlpool. Replacing my crappy Whirlpool gold refrigerator right now too. Hoping LG will be better. Already replaced my Whirlpool dishwasher. Went to Maytag. This company has gone downhill. My mom had these appliances for 20 plus years - I spend thousands and can't get 5 years!!! Don't buy Whirlpool!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whirlpool?

Washer Whirlpool Cabrio - Needless to say now, spin rinse not working, dark spots in clothes, sound like a jet leaving the room and earthquake at maximum potential when working, all previous reviews more than summarize my problem with the washer. How can we do to take a class action against Whirlpool for the defective Cabrio wash and dryer they are selling. If anybody knows, please guide me the right way to start it.

We bought a new Whirlpool Cabrio washer and dryer in January of 2012. We were setting ourselves up for retirement in a couple of years. Worst mistake ever! It can't get clothes clean especially dark colors. I wash my blacks at least twice, sometimes as often as 4 times just to get the detergent streaks out- simply rinsing a second time doesn't do the job. I guess I should be grateful that we have not needed to call a repairman. This is so disappointing as our last Whirlpool washer and dryer were over 25 years old???

I did not purchase the washer (Cabrio Top Load Clothes Washer) but inherited it in a home sale. Never had a non agitator. I was excited for this new washer. After a week I knew why they left it! My clothes did not seem clean; stains were still on them, when I used the delicate cycle a pair of pants went in folded and came out folded!!! I also would have to redistribute the clothes every time I had a load that was larger than five pieces, because it would stop. I would actually have to take clothes out and spin what was remaining then put those in the dryer and put the other clothes back in and spin those again. I was told I needed to use OxiClean on top of my normal detergent in order to get my clothes clean. Never again will I purchase a Whirlpool. Just bought an LG; fingers crossed.

I purchased the Cabrio washer during the black Friday sale. The washer was a pretty slate gray. I loved the color and the fact it was a Whirlpool, which I thought meant quality. It was expensive but we were updating our appliances as our 10 year plus washer needed replacing. Big mistake. This washer is terrible. It keeps me stressed. There is not enough water to clean the clothes, my husband's white underwear is always dingy and dirty looking. The sheets are dirty and smells. I try putting bleach on whites before washing and the whites still come out with underarm stains. I tried all the recommendations to no avail. This machine is awful. This was a big financial mistake. As soon as I am able this machine is gone. Will go back to the agitator in the middle, and NOT a Whirlpool. I DO NOT recommend this machine unless you want something pretty because this is NOT a washing machine.

First washing bought after married was a Whirlpool. Wife's parents recommended. Bought a new Cabrio 5/17/15. Paid 998.58 at Lowes. Died 6/23/17. ASI fix is 853.08 plus 109.08 service call. Called Whirlpool too bad. Really garbage.

My husband and I purchased a new Maytag top load washing machine from Best Buy in May 2017. On June 19th, a month later, as I am washing, all of a sudden the machine dies down. I checked everything from the outlet, the plug to the circuit breaker, and nothing seemed to help get my washer to start up again. Unfortunately I had wet clothes inside and the lid is one of those that locks itself and it would not open. :( I called Whirlpool/Maytag to explain my situation and could not believe that they told me that they only have 1 authorized appliance repair dealer they work with in my area and that they didn't show any available appointments until 4 weeks from now? WHAT? Are you kidding me? I could not wait that long, especially since I had soaking wet clothes sitting inside the washer.

I asked if I called someone else myself and have it repaired sooner, would they reimburse me for the expenses. They refused to do that and told me I need to wait for their own authorized repair dealers. Talk about bad customer service here :( My husband called them back and asked to speak to a supervisor at Whirlpool and was told that it shouldn't have to be that long for us to wait for repair so why was I told that in the first place? The supervisor proceeded to tell my husband that we will get a call back in 5 days? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? 5 days just for someone to CALL us? And then have to wait longer to get our service done? No way!

We think that Whirlpool sold Best Buy a "lemon" and we are paying for it! Why can't they say that they will get in touch with Best Buy so they can deliver a new working machine and take this "lemon" back? We are not happy with their responses so we will be paying Best Buy a visit to see what else we can do. I already spent unnecessary money to go to a laundromat to wash clothes :( I would recommend that people stay away from Whirlpool products. We'll see if we can exchange ours for another brand.

Whirlpool Energy Efficient Top Loader - I re-wash at least 20% of all clothes because they have dark spots AFTER washing them, but NOT before! It is a moving target, wash out one dark mark; get another somewhere else. I bought great quality sheets that are permanently stained, because of this. No matter how you load this machine, anything with arms and legs gets entangled into a big knotted mess. It is difficult to separate them and time-consuming. This puts a lot of stress on the clothes, especially as the load spins. I also re-wash entire loads at least 4 loads because the clothes don't rinse properly. I bought a 5 yr. extended warranty and have had this "serviced" at least 4 times to no avail. THE PROBLEM IS IN THE DESIGN! I am POSITIVE of it. If you have these problems, as well, please contact me. I would love to investigate a class action suit. I am THAT mad.

We bought our washer (Whirlpool Cabrio) from a rent to own company about 2 years ago, and finally got it paid off. About a week ago, the lid started sticking when it was done washing. I went to open it last night to start some laundry, and it BROKE. Now there's a piece stuck in the bottom part of the lock, and the washer won't start. Anyone else have this issue?

Very unhappy with my top load washing machine. I use more water. Can wash fewer clothes and clothes do not come as clean as with my older Whirlpool. This machine needs a SERIOUS AGITATOR. Will not buy another Whirlpool.

I have had this machine for around 5 years and it has never worked right. I bought it under the assumption that it was an energy savior but has not saved at all. As a matter of fact, I have found that this machine actually uses more energy and water than any other machine I have ever owned. I have found myself, like many other review reports, trying every single cycle, manually operating it, and thinking I am doing something wrong. The difference is that many of the reviewers have repaired the machine multiple times. I've not taken this step because I thought it was all my "not knowing how to operate it well". I am SOOO glad these reviews are available! I am going shopping and trashing this inferior and deficient machine. Thank you all for following through with your reports! I HOPE I am NOT too late for the next person ready to make a decision to purchase this piece of trash.

I purchased a Whirlpool Duet washer and dryer set in 2008. The washer control panel lasted 3 years. Because I did not have an extended warranty, Whirlpool would not do anything to accommodate me, despite the exorbitant cost of this machine. I told them that I would never buy another Whirlpool product. It is now 2017, and I have not purchased any other product made by Whirlpool. I want to make sure that a company manufacturing expensive machines designed to break within only a few years of normal use, goes out of business. Spread the Word to everyone you know about Whirlpool's garbage machines. Maybe if enough consumers purchase products from other manufacturers, Whirlpool will get the message that they need to manufacture quality, long lasting machines. Try Speed Queen instead.

WFW95HEXW2 Washer - We owned a Whirlpool for 25 years and it was time to replace it. I didn't even look at another brand. From the beginning, it was nothing but issues. Three times we replaced the gasket. Then the computer board went this week. WHAT? The technician told me he would buy a new one that these were lemons. NEVER BUY A WHIRLPOOL EVER!!!

We purchased a front loading washer in 2014 with an extended five-year warranty. It was always fidgety but worked if it was reset by taking out the plug. However three weeks ago it stopped working completely. After two weeks and two service visits it started to work but leaked whenever water was in it. Whirlpool's service agents refused to believe it was leaking and refused to watch it cycle to show it was leaking. They said any water was due to drain overflow which cost me a 300 dollar plumber visit to tell me it was the washer and not any of our plumbing. They did say they would replace the fidgety computer and return in one to two weeks for that but not the leak.

Calling Whirlpool I was told to be patient and if the technician wanted they could at that time phone technical help to fix the leak if they decided to look at the leak. The people who ruined the machine have yet to return my calls. Beware of companies that do not stand behind their projects. I have so far missed three days of work waiting for the technicians and will likely miss many more. I could have made a profit throwing the washer out on the street and buying a new one. Customer support reads prepared statements and refuses to help. My last Whirlpool appliance of any kind.

I got the Cabrio Washer and Dryer set in December of 2015. By March of 2016, the heating element and dryer door latch had broken. Had to have those repaired. By June of 2016 and since, I've had several repairman out to the house trying to figure out what's wrong with my washer. 9 times out of 10, it will not spin the excess water out and the clothes are soaked. Sometimes it takes me an hour to get the washer to go through a spin cycle. Sometimes the washer won't go into a cycle at all, it just makes a horrible noise (like it's draining) and never does anything. It doesn't put out enough water in larger loads, so I've had to cut my load size in half. It won't work on half the cycle options on the screen, only working on bulky or heavy. Won't wash on normal or quick wash or any of the others. It will make that same horrible sound and do nothing.

Nobody can tell me what's wrong with the stupid washer and the repairman said he sees issues with Whirlpool all the time. He said save myself money and buy something else. But I remember a time when a washer and dryer would last for 20 years. What happened to quality products and craftsmanship. I am so tired of the new and fancy appliances that don't last and these companies that don't stand behind their products. Whirlpool you should be ashamed. I will never buy another one of your products. There should be a recall on these particular Cabrio units especially after all the horrible reviews I just read.

My wife and I purchased our Whirlpool Duet Model # WFW95HEDC 7/19/16. I put my first claim in on 12/19/16. We were sitting downstairs one night watching tv and all of a sudden a noise like the sound of a tractor trailer putting on its jake brake came roaring from upstairs. It was so loud that we both jumped. The machine would periodically vibrate violently while going thru its spin cycle. The frequency started to get closer and closer together.

Whirlpool had a technician come to our home. They came out 3 times and said that nothing was wrong. They said that it was vibrating because it was on a pedestal and upstairs on a non solid floor. They also blamed the loose water hose on the noise. SERIOUSLY??? After the 3rd visit, and a week before the 4th visit our machine started to leak. We paid $1,079.00 for this washer and we were having to take our laundry to a laundromat to wash it. The technician came out the 4th time and replaced a cracked drum. Apparently it vibrated so badly that the drum cracked.

So everything seemed ok, then WHALAH!!! We wash the clothes and go to move it to the dryer and it is dripping wet. Somehow after they replaced the drum the machine started to not spin the water from the clothes very well. Takes drying the clothes for 50min 2x to get them dry. I am now set to have the appliance company come out for a 5th time and still not corrected.

What's worse is that every time I contact Whirlpool they give me the same canned speech and want to set up another appointment with the appliance company. I am soon at the year mark with my manufacturer's warranty and still having issues. I think Whirlpool keeps kicking the can down the road without making good on correcting the issue so they can get past the year mark and make us take it up with Home Depot on our extended service plan. I feel bad for everyone out there who got screwed by this company.

After 48 years of marriage, I had never had a new, matching washer/dryer set. I had had several new washers, but only used dryers. These all were very good units and served me well for years. So I was excited to buy a new, matching set. I have never been soooo dissatisfied with anything in my life. As I have read from other reviews, the washer uses very little water, sometimes hardly enough to get the load of clothes wet, very little soap, and in my opinion, does hardly any agitating. I don't feel my clothes have ever appeared clean. The only ones that look clean were the ones that started out looking clean when I put them in. I know this is all an ecology thing, water saving, government guidelines, etc., but please give me my old washer back. It did enough agitation to get clothes clean. And the dryer usually will not get the jeans dry on the first attempt. I have tried various settings, and they just don't get dry.

In short, I HATE THIS WASHER/DRYER SET. I have heard others talk about the same thing. No one likes them, but we are stuck with them. Would like to have the government step in and see how dissatisfied everyone is with them and force Whirlpool to give us our money back, trash these units, and buy something that actually works. PLEASE, IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR WASHERS AND DRYERS, DON'T BUY THESE. I believe they are called Cabrio.

Everything I buy from this company breaks all the time. I purchased these brands hoping they were good but apparently not. Always have to get them serviced. Lately they did an exchange on my fridge. Hope it helps because after thousands of dollars of food in the garbage it better work. And the washer thought, "Oh I'm paying more. It will be good". At this point will cost me less to buy from another company. Buyers beware. Cause the company can't do nothing good for me so don't buy from them.

Yesterday I purchased this Whirlpool top load washer model WTW4816FW with agitator and we installed it at our vacation home and I started a small load to wash. Yikes, it made noises like a machine that is on its last legs. I knew from washing clothes for 40 years that this is NOT right. We, hubby and I waited and listened to this piece of junk to finish the cycle. Thank god I had set it for a short wash. We also videoed this contraption while it was grinding. I called Lowe's and politely told them I was returning it. Thankfully they never had a problem with us bringing it back. (This must happen often.) I go back to the appliance department and decide on a Maytag. I noticed that it looked like the junk we just returned.

I stood there and looked up the model number online and lo and behold there was a video of it doing exactly the same noise. It was virtually the same machine I just returned with just a name change. Needless to say we left the store washerless until I can research this further. I then found out that Whirlpool now owns Maytag. Thing is I just bought a front loader Maytag for my main home and it works good. It was a replacement for a Whirlpool without a agitator which worked well too. The YouTube videos seem to be washers with agitators doing this. I just wish I could post the video for all to hear. I guess we are all at the mercy of big companies who don't care if they make a good product as long as they can make it cheap.

Whirlpool Washer W10740628A - So disappointed! I have made adjustments for a year trying to get clean clothes from this machine. Compared to my previous machine which wore out, I now use more water because only deep water wash provides enough water; I always choose double rinse because if the machine does not clean, I do not trust it to rinse effectively either. I use more Tide than previously per wash; I use more Clorox than previously per wash. Everything from tea towels to heavily soiled jeans show stains and soils after washing. Instructions say not to spread the item in the washer but allow it to "stack on itself," so twisted and tangled wet clothes are the result. I try to soak and scrub all visible dirt before I start the machine now; additionally, I use a mop or plunger or my hands to thoroughly immerse the clothes in the washer, somewhat like my mother did in 1950's. What on earth is this about and what is the buyer supposed to do???

Cabrio Washer and dryer are about 3 years old. With washer a residue is left on clothes and require an extra rinse, sometimes 2. Also, clothes become unbalanced and I have to rearrange clothes, sometimes more than once. Washer doesn't go through rinse cycle on own, I have to manually make it rinse and spin. Both washer and dryer have rust on the tops and the writing is fading.

FRUSTRATION!!! It is unbelievable that even appliances have become DISPOSABLE! Where are the days of when our parents bought well made appliances that LASTED 20 years with NO problems??? There was satisfaction knowing that a purchase of an appliance was $$ well spent! These days it costs MORE to replace parts than IF you purchased a brand new machine! We purchased BRAND NEW Whirlpool Duet Sport Washer AND dryer in 2007. The washer has been repaired a total of "5" times and the dryer "3" times!!! IN A SPAN OF 10 YEARS! Are you serious?! With the $$ spent on warranties/ labor/ parts: WE could have purchased new appliances.

What is WRONG with this picture? IT IS ALL about making money on REPLACING PARTS/WARRANTIES/LABOR!!! Forget the consumer that is spending THEIR hard earned money to buy the appliances initially. Short of going to a laundromat, the consumer needs to purchase a washer & dryer. So I guess it is a vicious cycle of REPAIRS/REPAIRS AND MORE REPAIRS!!!

I purchased a Whirlpool Cabrio washing machine in October of 2016. This has to be the worst purchase ever. I agree with most of all complaints I have read. I am using more water, electricity and time to get one load half clean. How can this be efficient? The only problem I don't have is the noise; very quiet as if it goes to sleep. Seems to me the company has misrepresented this machine in its claim of being "high efficient, washing (cleaning) machine". I too say "Do Not Buy this Machine!"

The first washing machine I bought was a Cabrio. Started having problems right off. After the repair people had been there several times we finally got Whirlpool to replace the machine. We got another washing machine. We bought two warranties because it kept tearing up. Repair people said this time it would take $1500 to fix it so of course AIG said, "We will not pay this much". So I have a washing machine I have spent $1600 on and it leaves, greasy spots all over my clothes. So fed up with Whirlpool's trash!!

Purchased a Whirlpool Cabrio washer WTW5800BW0 September 2014. Two years and 8 months later it no longer works. Call Sears and Whirlpool and was basically told I should have purchased a warranty. Whirlpool tried to sell me an extended warranty for $495.00 which is about 80% of the original sale price of the washer. Was told it is my responsibility to care for the maintenance of my purchase. WOW. Way to stand by your product. So now it's my fault they sell a product that does not last longer than 3 years. So we tried option 2 - called a repairman. His response "save your money and buy a new washer". WOW. A repairman rather lose money than try and fix this washer. Save your money and pass on Whirlpool products.

We just received our brand new Whirlpool washer and dryer from Home Depot. The delivery person started the washer and started the dryer and promptly departed. My husband immediately put a load of laundry into the washer, and he noticed there was insufficient water levels to adequately wet the clothing. Approximately 3 tablespoons of warm water were added at intervals of approximately one minute each. The water level never rose above 3 inches at the bottom of the tub despite setting the washer on the heavily soiled setting. After the spin cycles he removed the extremely damp clothing and it appeared that the machine had not properly completed the spin cycle and drained an insufficient amount of water from the clothing.

He tried another load, and it appeared that the sensors were not working which regulate the water levels because most new machines use far less water. However this washer was defective. He then placed the clothes in the brand new Whirlpool dryer. The clothes ran for over five hours and never dried and the dryer never got hot. There was obviously something wrong with the thermostat. We are both disgusted and will never ever buy a Whirlpool product again. In addition because of the extremely poor response from Home Depot, we will never purchase an appliance from them again either. So sad that Made In America, which was on a sticker on the front of the machines, does it mean diddly squat these days.

Compare Washers and Dryers