Whirlpool Washing Machines
1.38/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution
Need a washer and dryer?
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Whirlpool Washing Machines

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 14, 2017

2232 Whirlpool Washing Machines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

My brand new Whirlpool washing machine has been nothing but trouble from the day we first used it. We are now reaching out to try to contact the warranty department. We've tried email and phone both and are having ZERO luck even getting a human to talk to about the problems. No response. Took forever to even find what we thought was accurate contact info. Lowe's doesn't stand behind it. Now Whirlpool has a crap warranty department. We were warned and should have never bought it to start with. It is a total waste of money.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017
When we bought our house the Matching set of Whirlpool Cabrio Platinums came with it as they were new. I decided to keep them and sell my LG Troms.

Absolutely the worst mistake was keeping these Whirlpools. Who in their right mind would consider a washer with no agitator a washing machine? The clothes just sit and do nothing. They don’t get clean at all. Its a complete pile of useless junk and the person or persons who engineered it shouldn’t even be in charge of designing birdhouses.

Whirlpool themselves should be ashamed to put out such a pile of garbage to the consumer. Our house came with all new Whirlpool appliances and we are going to replace them all and never give Whirlpool a look again. Whatever you do don’t fall for the shiny unit, slick salesmen. Because all you're going to get with Whirlpool's washer is all talk and zero action. Thanks for the not so clean clothes Whirlpool. The local laundry mat thanks you when I need to actually clean my clothes.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

Whirlpool's front load washers do not have easy access to the drain pump filter. The entire front of the machine including the door has to be taken off to access the filter. When putting washer back together the parts are cheap and screws break. Most companies that sell front load washers provide easy access to the drain pump filter. Buy one of those instead of a Whirlpool and you will save yourself a lot of time and hassle.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I have purchased 2 Whirlpool washers in the past 6 years. Both have been a huge disappointment in quality and dependability. The 2nd washer I bought May 8, 2015 had problems from the initial purchase. In just a little over 2 years I have had to replace the suspension rods, and now the transmission is broken. Both washers had transmission problems. I have bought my last Whirlpool products. I recommend persons considering buying a Whirlpool product check the reviews before you purchase! I cannot believe this company continues to survive.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

Purchased a Whirlpool Cabrio 4 years ago. It worked fine until last October when I had to call a Repair Service as all the Digital Controls would not work. It was the Digital Board had to be replaced at a cost of $ 315.00. That was October 2016 and in October of this year 2017 it started doing the same thing again. I call the Repair Service and they told me not to waste any more money on this machine as it is a piece of junk. I guess he was right as when I read all the bad reviews it got today, I realize I will be better off to buy another machine. It will not be a Whirlpool product. I purchased a Sears Kenmore Washer & Dryer back in 1995 and the washer lasted 20 years and I still have the dryer. This is what you refer to as a good product.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whirlpool?

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I purchased the Whirlpool Cabrio Washer thinking I was purchasing a quality product. Unfortunately it was one of the worst decision my wife and I have made. The bearings (lower) only last about 2 years. We purchased the extended warranty and the first time it was covered. The second set were not covered and now we will have to change them again. We will not ever purchase another Whirlpool product. I contacted them several times with no positive results. I still saved the last worn out bearings to show the CEO. The engineers do not have a very good idea to make the lower bearing last. Where I purchased the machine they told me after the first change that it would happen again and they were correct. If anyone needs to contact me about this product feel free. NEVER EVER BUY A WHIRLPOOL PRODUCT.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

Whirlpool top loader washing machine Model CAE2743BQ0 - Highly regret buying this washing machine. It was expensive and it doesn't actually wash clothes. Clothes come out with streaks of dirt and detergent since the machine barely has an agitator and what's worse it doesn't load enough water. I called Sears for repair three times and the technicians say that's the way this machine is. It's terrible! So frustrating. Since we were over the 30 day return period when we noticed the issue wasn't going away, Sears won't do anything. DO NOT BUY THIS MACHINE!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I purchased a top load Whirlpool washer from Lowe's 2-8-12. It got so it wouldn't rinse. When it came to that cycle, it just skipped it and went directly to spin. I don't know how long it was doing this before I caught it. A repairman came out said I would need the equivalent of a motherboard that would cost $330.00. Needless to say, couldn't afford that amount for repair. So I purchased a very nice used Amana for $100.00. I always thought Whirlpool was a top of the line product. This has changed my mind. If it won't last any longer than 5 years I don't want it. There are just the two of us and we are retired so the machine was not overused. I am so disappointed and angry about this.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

We purchased the Whirlpool Cabrio washer & dryer. The glass lid design is VERY POORLY constructed and should be replaced by Whirlpool. We paid over $200 the first time the lid broke and was told this is going to be a continuing problem. They were correct! We subsequently replaced the lid 2 additional times only to have the same break on the right hand side causing the lid to pop up. Something must be done and WHIRLPOOL need to care for their machinery. They should replace the lids or provide a major incentive for consumers to replace the washer. PLEASE DO SOMETHING!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I have been buying refurbished appliances and this one we bought it brand new. It's a great buy and it will last a while. It does a good job washing and the clothes come clean and almost dry to the touch.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

This is our second Cabrio w10550273a. The first one was just as bad as this one. It was replaced under an extended warranty we bought. This washer just like the last one constantly gives a UL code. Thought the washer and load are level.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

Bought this set for its basic functions. We don't need a lot of bells and whistles. The washer is rated as a water saver but it seems to use more water than our 10-year-old model. The only issue we had was with the electronics. Even though it has few features, it one day decided to not function at all. A call to support recommended just unplugging it for a few minutes so it could reset itself. For once this seemingly crazy idea worked and the unit has been normal ever since. I recommend buying from the outlet store as a scratch and dent. This saves lots of money and if the unit is not on display, who cares about the minor dent.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

I bought a washer from Lowe’s Home Improvement in September 2017, called a couple weeks after the purchase. They sent someone to repair machine. It is still not working. Called Lowe’s back. Was given an 800 number. Talked with someone at this number got nowhere. Was given another 800 number. I am waiting to find out what is going to be done. This is terrible customer service.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

I washed my expensive sheets in the washer on deep water... hot and filled up the bleach dispenser as instructed... My sheets came out splotched and ruined... I also keep getting lint on my clothes. This thing just doesn't clean. I'm so upset about my sheets. Please don't buy this thing. Also bought Whirlpool stove and paint was peeling off after 3 months. They wouldn't even help me. I'm so sorry I trusted Whirlpool.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

I have been having a problem when washing my jeans in the Whirlpool Cabrio that I have never had before with my old washer. When I wash my jeans, there are always a few pair, never the same ones, that have an odor like dirty dishrags on them. I always hang my jeans to dry so I do not think it is this. I have tried to add a freshener to the wash cycle, it does not work. I have tried to dry them in the dryer with a scented dryer sheet, it does not work. I am assuming after reading these past complaints from other consumers that it is not getting all of the clothes clean because of the lack of water. I always use the deep water cycle, but maybe it is not enough water as previously suggested. I have had an issue with blankets and other heavy items not getting clean and/or not even wet. Thoroughly disgusted with this appliance!! I love all of my Whirlpool kitchen appliances though!

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

I purchased my Cabrio Whirlpool washer five years ago. In the past two months I have had three service calls for repairs. I had water leaking out from underneath the machine which was the result of a failed drum seal. Now I get a ul message (there was one blouse being washed on delicate) and the washer is making a terrible "banging" sound. I don't think it is spinning. I have not been happy with this washer. My previous washer was 30 years old.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

I have never hated a washing machine as much as this. The clothes get tangled frequently, off balance, does not spin correctly and on and on. Don't buy a washer without an agitator. I thought that was something new and great. Not!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

This is about my Whirlpool washing machine that has abruptly stopped working. My Whirlpool washing machine was bought in 2013 and was running [absolutely] great until Tuesday October 3, 2017. I called customer service and they said it was out of warranty. My Whirlpool washing machine model number is: WTW48008Q0. Serial number is: C34923747.

I do not have the money to get this machine fixed. I am already a struggling mom, working hard to pay bills and I am already falling behind on most of them. I just had death in my family and now the machine dies - well there seems to be no end to all of this. I would really appreciate Whirlpool's help in getting my machine up and running again. I have been a loyal Whirlpool customer over the span of more than two decades. I am a Whirlpool fan. My past machines have lasted 12 plus years on upwards to 15 years each.

Let me share exactly what my washing machine is doing: I went to wash clothes as usual the other day; the machine filled up and stopped abruptly - that was it! It did not spin but instead emptied the water without washing the clothes and made some loud chitty chitty bang bang noises before it was all over. I unplugged it after wasting a lot more water thinking that it might just suddenly start working. It did not start working again, it just continued its non-working status.

My family has bought Whirlpool washing machines and dryers for years from Sears; we were totally satisfied with the products we purchased, however, this washing machine did not make the five year mark. I really do not know what is going on with the machine; what I do know is this - it stopped working and I would like to get it working again. Hopefully it is not defective by design. #WhirlpoolWasherDefectiveByDesign. I found Whirlpool washing machines to be very reliable and would love to continue my great relationship with Whirlpool.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I bought a Whirlpool Cabrio 2 years ago and until last week it was fine. We got an error message that said we had to call for service so we called a local whirlpool repairman. The repair guy told us it was the control panel and it was going to cost between $400 to $500. He also said that he works on a lot of whirlpool washers and this is the first time he saw a machine's control panel fail. He recommended that we call Whirlpool.

I called Whirlpool customer service and after waiting on the phone for 40 minutes I was quickly transferred to customer resolution and was told that since I hadn't purchased the extended warranty there was nothing that they could do for me. I kept asking her, "There is nothing that you can do to help me?" And the consistent answer was no. I will never buy another Whirlpool appliance. This has been so frustrating to have an appliance that looks brand new and won't work. The manufacturer won't even try to help with fixing the problem. Amazing AWFUL CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

We purchased our a model WTW7800XWO 7 years ago. Our lid kept falling down when loading and unloading. Very annoying. 3 years ago it failed to lock down which means the washer will not start. We learned to press down on the lid sides to get it to lock. Then it became loose where it connects to washer and we duct taped it to make it work. We put up for that for a year before having a repairman attach a new lid. 1 year later it did the same thing... And we put up with it hoping it wouldn't totally fail. Today it failed. Since the 1st repair cost 250.00 we decided that we will get a new washer rather than spend another 250.00. We will go with American made Speed Queen. We have had Whirlpool appliances since we were married 50 years ago.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

We purchased a Whirlpool Cabrio washer 6 years ago. This washer has been such a terrible appliance, I would not recommend that anyone buy one. The top of the washer has broken 2 times. Whirlpool will do nothing about it. It is a manufacturers defect where the glass pops out of the top and then breaks the frame it is in. We had it replaced last year and the new one is now broken - same problem. It also does not get clothes clean and the clothes get ruined because they become all entangled in one another. We will never purchase a Whirlpool appliance again. I did have a 5 year service contract on these appliances but once out of warranty - you are on your own.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

I have had our new Whirlpool Cabrio Washer for about a year. I absolutely hate it. I along with all the other people that is complaining about their Cabrio. I have found it to stain my clothes, not get them clean... Sometimes not even get part of them wet. I wash every load now no matter how small on the deep water option. I still have to add about 3 to 6 gals of water after it fills to try to help them get as clean as I possible can. I have stopped using fabric softener because I believe that is what may be leaving the stains on the clothes because it doesn't dilute it. Also you can't soak clothes in the washer long enough. I know it offers a presoak but when the clothes are not getting wet... That is not soaking. I tried to fill it up and raise the lid so it wouldn't wash until I was ready for it to wash but it automatically emptied the tub after a short time.

It is funny watching the clothes when washing... Even I could tell they were not going to be washed well. I thought who in the world developed this washer. Certainly no one that had ever really considered what women need to wash clothes on a daily basis. I would sell it but I don't think anyone would buy it. If there is a class action suit I would consider joining in. Whirlpool could not have spent much effort in checking this washer out. A lot of money down the drain. I did not buy the dryer because of the lint vent being on top of it. What a mess those make when you have to empty it. So I purchased a Maytag Bravos XL. Now that is a wonderful dryer! As one homemaker to another I suggest you check it out. Never had one I liked more.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

Whirlpool is not what it was before. I got this set with new house... They are very poor construction. They are not even close what I have before the LG. After 6 months I begin to have problems with the dryer... Technician come two time to fix the problems. Quality of washing is OK though... That going to be the last time I got Whirlpool products. For sure.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

My washing machine stopped working. I called customer service and got through to Tonya, in the Benton Harbor, Michigan call center. She was wonderful! Living is SW Florida, we're having a difficult time right now dealing with the aftermath of Irma. Tonya is an angel during this trying time! Thank you Whirlpool for have exceptional customer service reps! I'll continue to purchase your products as a result.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

Whirlpool Cabrio 8kg washing machine - Purchased this washing machine because of the size, water efficiency, no agitator. Have purchased Whirlpool products before and haven't had a problem but this washing machine is absolutely a piece of garbage. At first our water bill was hugely excessive so tested the machine and it was using 269 litres per wash when it was only supposed to use 98 litre as stated on the machine. When doing 2 washes a day you can imagine the water bill we had. Lint on washing, continually out of balance no matter how much was in the wash. Had it fixed under warranty then just out of warranty.

Water wouldn't turn off. Had to turn it on and off at the top lid. Could now be opened during washing cycle. Started turning itself on in the middle of the night and day. Had to unplug it to stop it, won't spin out clothes. Still sodden. After cycle finished with the lid open it would start to fill up with water again and going out of balance again. Had the appliance people out for the 4th time. Had to have the motherboard and a valve replaced. It's still leaving lint. Washing is not even getting wet so it can't possibly be cleaned. Contacted warranty people. They came out and said it is running as it should be but they advised us this is a common problem with this brand of washing machine. Personally I wish I could throw it away if I had another $900 to waste on another machine.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I bought it 3yrs ago, and it give us headache, only two weeks used and it stops working. We call their service center and have them check, findings is the motor not working and have to replace, we are asking them to replace it with new washing machine, but they only replace the motor, what we cannot accept is that they replace it with a surplus motor. Only two weeks used and they replace only surplus parts!!! Damn. What a bad experience... (The motor they put is noisy too)! After a year the spring hinge collapse and have to fix it again. And now my washing machine is like a helicopter when spinning, shaking and moving around our laundry area... I don't want to buy Whirlpool anymore.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

These machines are designed to clean your clothes by rubbing them together which they attempt to do in a minute amount of water. They destroy the fabric, pull the seam out of shape, wrinkle them beyond the point of wearable, do not get them clean and do not get all the detergent out. I have had clothes come out partially dry. They also do not dilute the fabric softener, leaving unremovable stains on your clothes. In addition, they take forever to do a load of clothes even without the extra rinse you need if you want any hope of getting the clothes rinsed.

The dryer is the slowest dryer I have ever had. The steam refresh that is supposed to get the hideous wrinkles out of your clothes does not put steam into the dryer. Instead, it sets the dryer to the highest heat so that those clothes you did not want on high heat are now getting it; then it shoots bursts, yes large bursts, of water on them. Your clothes come out a combination of still wrinkles and wet. If you hear of a class action suit, please contact me. These machines should be recalled.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I bought my Cabrio Platinum Washer and Dryer in 2013 (4 years old). About a month ago, it started sounding like an airplane was landing in the house while on spin cycle. I called a repairman and he said the bearings were going bad and it would be better to buy a new machine. When we pulled out the washer, there was grease all over the floor - apparently a seal started leaking and the bearings had no grease so they started burning up. I talked with Whirlpool, after all it was only 4 years old and a seal leaking and burning the bearings up wouldn't be from normal wear. They were not convinced and offered to give me a discount on a new one -- No Way! I went with another brand recommended by the repairman. The screws on the dryer door also came out and we had to replace them. So much for the Whirlpool brand and especially their top of the line machines. I will not buy another Whirlpool washer or dryer.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

Purchased 7/2015. LOVED it @ 1st being the key word. Notice grayish residue on clothing. Mainly on black. Towels discolored and lint on clothing. My kids were blaming dye in the detergent, & using Purex Crystals. I changed detergent to Armen hammer sensitive clear. Stopped using my beloved crystals. Wrong! Cleaned the rim @ the top of the agitator all the dirt & grime get ps trapped in the rims it helped some what. Additional problems occurred. From time to time started noticing unbalancing no matter the load size. Paint bubbling, peeling & rusting. The lid lock broken. Nightmare trying to get an appointment through Whirlpool. Referred to go to a dealer. Called Sears. Gave specific details what's wrong. Appointment 2 wks out.

Service arrived, he had no idea why he was there. No info given. Then he said he doesn't have the part. He ordered it and said it'll be sent to me approx 5 days. But won't be fix for another 3 wks. Same with 3 people from customer care. Informed this is not acceptable. Another problem now when unplugging it still stays on its hold electrical current. This can not be replaced until it's deemed it's broken & cant be fixed. They rather your home catch fire. They don't care about the inconvenience for 2 1/2 months. Look @ photos not plugged in but still on.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

We purchased the Cabrio washer and dryer set 2 years ago (7/22/15) from Lowes and have HATED them since day one. The first wash in the washing machine left clothes dirtier than when they went in. Our clothes have never gotten truly clean. The washer has a HUGE tub which is what I liked about it so I can wash my King sized comforters. What a joke that turned out to be. The comforters only get half wet even on the deep water setting. The machine even left dark stains on my light colored comforter and ruined it. Fast forward to 2 years later and the washing machine stops spinning and fills with water clear up to the top of the tub and won't drain. I had to put the machine on the rinse and spin option to get it to drain. Tried a different setting and it worked for a few months but started doing the same thing.

The washer seems to be unbalanced no matter what size load I do. I am thoroughly disgusted with this machine and wish I would have never purchased from Whirlpool. The dryer has always worked fine until recently (2 years after purchase). It quit drying the clothes and leaves everything twisted up and wrinkled, even if I take them out of the washer and shake them out before I put them in the dryer. Doesn't matter what setting I put it on, the result is the same. So now it seems as though BOTH of my machines only lasted 2 years. I'm not going to bother fixing them, these will be used as target practice. I will never buy another Whirlpool product again.

Whirlpool expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Whirlpool is generally considered the largest home appliance maker in the world. The company employs over a 100,000 employees, with many of them located right in the United States. The company also has a strong commitment to environmental and social causes.

• Large capacities for a variety of customers: Whirlpool washers feature large capacities, with a few washers offering more capacity than 4.3 cubic feet.

• Corporate diversity: Whirlpool has a commitment to corporate diversity, and attempts to connect with groups like women, blacks and Asians through its various Whirlpool Action Networks.

• Auto-dispensing feature: With select washers, consumers can fill their washer with enough detergent for 12 washes. From there, the Whirlpool washer will dispense the exact amount of detergent needed, saving time and conserving detergent.

• Best for: People who want a hassle-free washing experience, families and professionals.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs