Whirlpool Washing Machines

Compare Washers and Dryers

Research top Washers and Dryers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Cabrio is our washer and dryer. Dryer had no issues in the last 7 years. Washer constantly throw UL or unbalanced error and stops. Rearranging clothes only works for another few minutes. First time under warranty, tech came and fixed it. Second time without warranty, I cleared some loose socks between the tub. Third time same problem. YouTube suggested to change the "springs" on four corners that hold the tub. $25 and problem fixed. Basically, if you are not an informed consumer you are screwed for $$ silly stuff.

Overall, I am happy with my Cabrio BUT we purchased a Whirlpool WTW7000DW0 "Cabrio" top loading washer w/ electronic touch panel in May 2016. We experienced water hammer from day one. I finally had enough yesterday and knowing that the plumbing could be suffering (15 year old condo), purchased 2 Sioux Chief MiniRester, Model 660-H arresters (Lowe's at $9.99 each) and had a plumber install them today. I could have but am nursing a fractured rib. Long story short, they work perfectly. There is NO indication elsewhere in the unit that water is even entering the tub unless you're standing right beside it.

I've been told that hammer problems exist in ALL high efficiency washers, all are prone to this problem. I was also told by a Whirlpool support person that the Cabrio is a Samsung design and the pulsing of supply water off and on, over and over is 'normal operation.' If I had been informed when purchasing that hammer is a common problem, I would have installed arresters from the get-go. At the very least, manufacturers should include arresters as a part of the sale; installers should make sure that every new installation includes arresters. All told, I am out just under $200.00 for 'new technology' that really could have been engineered out in the beginning.

Had a Kenmore - I was told it was made by Whirlpool. It did a much better job of preventing wrinkles on no-iron clothing. Also, I liked the dryer shelf for drying pillows, tennis shoes etc. I have been told there is a shelf for mine but has been backordered for months.

My front loader and matching dryer are 13 yrs old. Only problem was with the dryer. Heating element had to be replaced in its 11th year. Also, have to clean washer with bleach periodically. Have to keep the door and detergent drawer open when not in use.

I love my washer and dryer but am a little disappointed in a few areas. First, my washer stopped spinning normally after a few years, I forget exactly why. Then my clothes were too wet when it was done. My dryer then did not get my clothes dry in one cycle. Also, it was going to cost $500 to fix my washer which wasn't worth it. But Whirlpool did send us a new tub and all the parts for free. Thankfully my husband is handy and after finding a YouTube video, replaced it all and now it works again. My dryer still doesn't always dry everything all the way. I often have to do 2-3 cycles in the dryer to get my clothes dry. I thought there was supposed to be a sensor that would keep the dryer going until there was no more moisture. Maybe that is broken too.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whirlpool?

We have an old school Whirlpool Gold washer and dryer. They are over 7 years old and have performed flawlessly. Only issue has been surface rust but after 5 years and no impact on performance... just needed thicker paint finish.

I was so excited when my husband bought me this as a gift this past year as we are a family of 6 which means lots of laundry. The first few months I assumed it was operator error trying to learn how the new one worked. Well here we are months later googling why it makes my clothes dirtier coming out than they were going. It leaves black linty looking streaks on all my white clothes, both inside and out and leaves white linty looking streaks on my darks, also both inside and outside. It DOES NOT REMOVE PET HAIR AT ALL! If you purchase one, and have long haired pets that shed, expect to invest in some lint remover. I'm on my third type in an attempt to save me time. I will say OxiClean laundry detergent seems to be the only detergent that actually cleaned the clothes. Sadly, stores around here stopped selling.

And whatever you do, DO NOT USE LAUNDRY PODS. It DOES NOT DISSOLVE THE HOUSING AND LEAVES SLIMY RESIDUE ALL OVER YOUR CLOTHES. I believe this is due to the fact that despite the setting, it uses little no hot water. Which would be great if it actually cleaned your clothes. I could run my clothes under a faucet with no soap and they would cleaner than this pos. Bottom line. Don't waste your money and if you do keep your expectations very low!

I hate this machine. I stress whenever I have to do laundry. The worse machine I ever owned. Stay away from it. It is a total rip off... I wanted to replace my front loader machine with a top loader. Based on good reviews at the time I purchased the Cabrio. Nothing gets clean. The detergent stays on the clothes and unless I use the Bulk senor. Otherwise I get horrible white marks on all the dark clothes. I can't even get the marks off with a wet rag. So washing only a few items I have to use Bulk. The sound is so bad from the machine, my dog runs in the closet and shakes. I feel so bad for her. How can a popular name like Whirlpool make such an inferior product? They don't even stand behind it. Customer service stinks. Never will I buy a Whirlpool product again. Now, I am trying to save up to buy a new machine. Shame on you Whirlpool.

I bought the Cabrio Platinum Set approximately 3 yrs ago. These is the worst products I have bought ever. The dryer didn't dry properly since day 1 w/the energy saver setting. I have always had to run a time dry in order to get properly dried clothing. Sometimes things still come out damp. The washer well the washer as I said the WORST product EVER. Approximately 3 yrs old and it leaks all over my laundry room unless surrounded by towels to suck up the water. During the wash it has the worst smell ever. And while spinning it jumps around and is so loud, you can hear it all through my 3 story home. We have complained we have written, emailed, called and have been offered nothing. I can honestly say I will NEVER buy another Whirlpool product again ever.

The least they could do is stand by their product. For the price of this set it should have lasted much much longer. I had a Kenmore washer and dryer set that we bought it was not even top of the line I would say probably a cheaper model of theirs that lasted 10+ yrs we bought it brand new and my friend bought it when I changed to a front loader which by the way was one of the cheaper ones but was still better than this piece of **. It started breaking about 1 yr after we bought it. We have already fixed a few things but will not spend another dime on it. Now it's not even cleaning. I now have to buy yet another washer. From what I have read either Whirlpool needs to up their game or just go out of business.

While the washer is great, the reliability of the dryer is lacking. The timer has broken 3 times on ours in 3 years. Each time the cost of the switch is $75.00. Too much plastic on the shaft. If the plastic was removed, and the shaft was metal, it would be a definite improvement.

The dryer lint screen is located at the door base. This is placed incorrectly, in that if you have any lint on screen it attaches to wet clothes. The screen should be located at top of dryer for a less messy clean up process and away from your clothing.

I purchased a Cabrio Top Load Washer and Front Load Dryer four and a 1/2 years ago and have had nothing but trouble with them! The dryer needs to be run 2 cycles to get the clothes dry. In that time I have had a repairman come to the house 3 different times to look at the dryer, which cost me over $200. They have had to replace the belt and inner pulley and then the sensor harness. Recently when they came they tried replacing the coils. It continues to give me trouble drying the clothes and I am very dissatisfied with it. A few weeks ago the washer broke. I have had repairmen come to the house 4 different times. Multiple times there has been a problem with the spin and drain cycle. All of the water would not empty out. I would have to run the cycle again. They eventually replaced the actuator. I continued to have difficulties with the washer.

Then the machine got very loud when it would spin out sounding like a rocket was going to take off! The repairman came once again said it was the motor. When they returned with the parts and took the machine apart, the parts inside the machine had all corroded! The water had been leaking inside the machine, destroying it, and a black sticky buildup had formed! The machine was deemed unrepairable! I paid over $700 for each machine and am very upset about this. When I spoke to customer service they would not stand by their product because I didn't have the warranty anymore. After numerous phone calls I filed a complaint and gave a bad review of the support service and product that I received.

Weeks later they called me and offered to have me purchase another machine at half price! I had already bought another brand washing machine and I asked them to apply the amount toward what I had spent on the new one. They would not and insisted the only thing they could do would be to have me buy their washer at half price. I told them I lost faith in their product and didn't want another one. So, I would not recommend the Whirlpool Cabrio washer and dryer, or Whirlpool products since they will not stand by them! I have pictures to prove what happened to the washer!

Cabrio washer 2015 model - The worst washer in 40 years. Everytime I use it I ask myself "why did you buy this?" Sure it conserves the amount of water but I haven't noticed a nickel in savings because you have to wash the same load a couple of times. Since the days of cleaning in a stream clothes have been beaten to remove soil. How in god's name was I fooled into thinking this washer would actually clean our clothes. I put a folded tablecloth in it and when I emptied it the tablecloth was still folded. IF YOU NEED A CLOTHES WASHER TO ACTUALLY CLEAN CLOTHES, DON'T BUY THE KIND WITHOUT AN AGITATOR. (serial # C52242825)

I am old school & do not like the idea that I cannot open my machine without waiting until it slows to a stop before door will unlock. You do not know what level your water is unless opening door. You are not able to open door & see if you need more detergent. Water softener is the same -- do I need more/less, can't tell.

But, the washer performs well & clothes are clean, even dirty jeans/work clothes.

I bought a Whirlpool Dryer after reading an excellent review in Consumer Reports, despite it costing more than I wanted to spend. The first thing I noticed was a thump, thump, thump with every rotation of the drum. Then I realized that it took twice as long to dry my laundry as my 45 yr. old GE dryer, which only needed a belt, but which wasn't available anymore. I was disappointed in the Whirlpool's performance, but that was only the beginning. One night when the dryer was less than 3 months old, I was in bed for the night and I heard the familiar thump of the dryer running. I went downstairs and could not stop it as it did not respond to anything on the digital control panel. I finally unplugged it. I called Whirlpool and they sent a new control panel, but I had to pay the service man.

Not too long after that, the dryer heated up, but the drum would not turn. The serviceman said that it had come off track and he reset it. Shortly after, the door would not stay closed as the clamp that held it shut had fallen inside when I pushed the door closed. I replaced that. Then the drum continued to come disengaged because it was out-of-round. But, of course, the dryer was out of the 90 day warranty period too and a drum replacement would have cost more than the piece of junk was worth. So, I had it put back on for what I told myself would be the last time. Well, it was the last because the control panel went bonkers again and would go on by itself and only ran on one cycle if I plugged it in and unplugged it when it was done. I finally gave up and bought an inexpensive analog GE dryer which I never had any trouble with and dried the clothes in less time with less noise.

The Whirlpool repairman left today after replacing the burned out motor on my 5 yr old dishwasher bought in Feb 2012 and installed July 2012 as did not arrive from Quebec to Surrey BC until the end of June 2012. So the Finish dishwasher detergent was in the dishwasher as samples and coupons and recommended this Finish for use in the new dishwasher so I stupidly believed them and used it. Well last week my dishwasher stopped working after it started and turns out today the cause was from the Finish dishwasher detergent. I was told today after paying 393 dollars for the repairs. Not to use Finish anymore or I will have the same problem. To only use Cascade. So what is a person suppose to believe.

I had a Maytag for over 20 years with no repairs (I still have the Maytag I bought at the same time). However, my Whirlpool cannot compare with the Maytag. Washing sheets are a nightmare. I have to stop the machine when it is spilling out as it is going all over the room. My machine is about 2 years old and I am not certain how long it will last.

My dryer is over 40 years old and works fine but not a Whirlpool like my washer which is 12 years old. It is a front load and I don't like that at all. It doesn't wash that cleanly and often I have to rewash things. Would not buy another front loader!

This is the worst washing machine I have ever owned. I have had the Whirlpool Cabrio for less than three years, (4 people I use it for), and it is so loud when it is in the spin cycle, you think a jet airplane is taking off inside your house! Apparently the bearings go out of these machines when you use them! I called the company and all they want to do is sell me an extended warranty for over $300.00 for another year! Not doing that! I paid over $1,000.00 for this machine. I thought it would last a long time! Wrong! Please save your money and get a simple "old fashioned" one! I sure wish I had! Whirlpool doesn't care about their customers, or they would stand behind their products!

Completely disgusted and angry with Whirlpool! We own a Cabrio and just after 1.5 years of owning it the stupid washer has broke down. It won't spin or rinse or wash! Pretty sure it's the bearings as I have seen several people's complaint about this same issue! I contacted Whirlpool to only be told that they only offer 1-year warranty and after that the consumer is out of luck. They only stand behind their products for 1 year and after that it's on you! They refused to help me in any way including sending someone out to look at it! I'm very upset and will never buy another product of theirs! They need a class action lawsuit brought against them!

This is the worst washer ever. I purchased this washer (Whirlpool Cabrio Washer Top load) brand new in the box thinking it was a great price and a good deal. Worst choice ever. I have been so disappointed in this product. It is very noisy which is something I have learned to live with. It doesn't even get simple stains out. I have tried every load combination and change detergents and stain remover a couple of times. Most time I have to soak stains again and again and then wash several times and most times it simply doesn't clean clothes. It leaves detergent residue on dark clothes so of course I end up washing those again as well. The towels and sheets turn into mushrooms in the bottom of washer.

Everything works well, but it would be very helpful if Whirlpool would include a quick, simple waterproof instruction sheet on how to get best results focusing on the top two or three uses and some way to attach it to the machine.

I love the brand. I just do not care for the lock lid on all the new washers. I could do without it. I do not have kids to worry about getting hurt. I'm looking into finding a brand without a lock lid. I just replaced one before this one. For the lid breaking.

I purchased my washer about 1 month ago and I used daily. I went away for the weekend, and now it does not work. Washer will not wash, fill or spin, gives a LF error. All lines have been checked. I need to call service.

We purchased Whirlpool Cabrio Washer Model #WTW7300DW0 and Dryer in 2013 from Home Depot. The washer is the worst appliance we ever owned. It makes a horrific metal rubbing noise during agitation. The Whirlpool assigned repair service provider, after 2 trips and $300 has been unsuccessful in repairing the problem. Even after he called Whirlpool direct for assistance. Given that we used a Home Depot Gift Card for purchase, the repair expense is rapidly diminishing any benefit to keeping the machine. We'll not even consider purchasing Whirlpool again.

I am a working single man. I needed a used washer. I shopped the new washers but they were a lotta money. I seen many of them were without agitators. Well heck... who am I to judge the progress in technology?? So, going around to the used appliance store I run across this Whirlpool Cabrio. OK, Whirlpool meant quality my entire life. So, I bought it. MASSIVE MISTAKE!!! This POS is no washing machine. I don't know what it is, but it is NO washing machine! It is a machine that runs a very few gallons of water into a load of clothes and makes them wet, and that is about it!!

All I know is the federal government is dropping the ball on this situation BIG TIME!! To allow a company to foist off on consumers such a PILE OF JUNK!! The pile of crap is PURE junk as far as simply doing its job... washing clothes!! It is a DISGRACE of an American product, and I will NEVER buy anything made by Whirlpool the rest of my life!!

I took the device off the lid that tells it when the lid is closed, and just stuck it in its receptacle in the body... so I could raise the lid while it is running and watch this POS in action and try and figure out what the hell is going on. First big problem is it NEEDS an agitator!! Obviously Whirlpool had not figured out how to make the clothes circulate without one. Second is the water level (no matter what cycle setting) is obscenely LOW!! The clothes do not circulate AT ALL, and about 1/3 of them do not even get below water level for the entire cycle!! What I am forced to do is use a water hose and run a lot more water off into the tub just to get the clothes in the damn water!! And ever at that, the clothes still do not circulate AT ALL!! They just rub up against each other!! And I have to use twice as much soap than called for!!

I have the Duet series washer and dryer, stackable. I've owned them approximately 9 years and have had minimal problems. No problems at all with the dryer. I've had the drum replaced on the washer and it sounds like it may need replacing again soon. I did have an issue with a musty smell with the washer, but once I started using vinegar as the softening agent, these smells have disappeared!

I would not recommend this product at all, nor would I recommend the Whirlpool Company. This washer was over $1200.00. Within two weeks of purchase, I had to call a service repair company as I was immediately having issues with the washer not draining. Being a front loader, this machine required using the appropriate HE detergent. I followed the instructions, used the appropriate products and had nothing but continuous problems.

It is a (lemon), and very frustrating, as it does not seem repairable. No serviceman could give an appropriate reason as to why the washer would not drain, nor could they figure out why. It didn't matter the size of the laundry load or the type of items...towels, jeans, or silky delicates...the washer failed at turning from the wash cycle to the drain cycle. It also leaked because of the lack of draining, and began building up a mold film and odor even though I consistently wiped it dry and left the door opened when not in use. I received no assistance from Whirlpool and was given the runaround and told I must be doing something incorrectly.

I bought the WP Cabrio washer on 10-18-16 from Lowe's. It does not wash well, my dark clothing came out with white spots all over them even after I rewashed them x 3 and the lighter clothing you don't see the spots so you are wearing dirty clothes. Also, it is making a lot of noises while running. WP should pull this model off the market.

I purchased this front load with the so-called precision dispenser and within a month the stupid soap dispenser is not working as it should and instead fills up with water therefore I never really know when I am out of soap. So far they have tried to repair it twice and they ordered a part for it. Instead of saving soap and water every time they come to fix it they waste my soap and water and never mind the inconvenience of it all. Maybe I should I stayed with LG but nowadays they all suck! For $900 you would expect it to work for more than a month! A lemon. Do not buy!

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Whirlpool is generally considered the largest home appliance maker in the world. The company employs over a 100,000 employees, with many of them located right in the United States. The company also has a strong commitment to environmental and social causes.

• Large capacities for a variety of customers: Whirlpool washers feature large capacities, with a few washers offering more capacity than 4.3 cubic feet.
  • Corporate diversity: Whirlpool has a commitment to corporate diversity, and attempts to connect with groups like women, blacks and Asians through its various Whirlpool Action Networks.
  • Auto-dispensing feature: With select washers, consumers can fill their washer with enough detergent for 12 washes. From there, the Whirlpool washer will dispense the exact amount of detergent needed, saving time and conserving detergent.
  • Best for People who want a hassle-free washing experience, families and professionals.

Compare Washers and Dryers