Save on Appliance Repairs

Save on Appliance Repairs

With the Best Home Warranty

Compare Quotes

2455 Whirlpool Washing Machines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 16, 2019

3/16/2019 washed a load of bed sheets, on the white clothes cycle, put the wash in at 9:21am. Left the house at 12:41pm. Wash still not finished! It was finished by the time I arrived back home, I was gone about 11/2 hrs. I have yet to complete a wash cycle in less than 1hr 15mins. I hate that I have no control over water level, that I have to put detergent in the bottom of the tub, and the damn lid locks! My clothes don't feel clean. Why does "big brother" get to decide how my wash should be done, when they don't pay my water or electric bills?

Original review: March 14, 2019

I bought the WTW4815EW0 Whirlpool washer. Worse machine ever! It’s take forever to wash a load, there’s no way it’s efficient when it takes twice as long to wash one load. It doesn’t sense the water level correctly, It's noisy, and after only having it 3 years it crashed on me. I refuse to waste money fixing the piece of junk and when I go to purchase a new one it won’t be a Whirlpool.

Get expert buying tips about Washers and Dryers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 8, 2019

We bought this Whirlpool washer dryer set last year and extended warranty. 7 weeks ago the washer stopped working. I have spent around 60 hours so far trying to get the washer fixed. Have talked to the repair shop as well customer care up and down the chain. 5 visits so far by technicians and still not fixed. Customer care people promise to call back w/update but never do. We were going to buy LG but bought this to give business to an American company. Now our patriotism is bearing fruit. Customer care blames AIG (service contractor) and Whirlpool say that they can’t manage AIG. At the end of our rope with constant trips to laundromats. Have no idea if it will ever be fixed. So frustrating to see the name of Whirlpool tarnished to this extent. Nobody seems to be in charge and everybody passes the buck. Whirlpool is a shameful example of a company that deserves to go out of business.

Original review: March 1, 2019

We purchased a stackable electric washer/dryer unit and received in October. Had issues from the start. Called Whirlpool in Dec 2018 and they sent out their contracted service company. Told us they were ordering parts. Never heard from anyone. Called service contractor and they said never received parts. Called January. WP told us that because it was a new model, they didn't have the parts. We asked them to replace the unit. WP called us and said they would replace the unit and it would arrive in late January. NO CALL. Called 2/22 and said, no similar units available. Ask them to upgrade me if there were units available. Said they would and the inventory of the upgraded unit was promising. Would get a call from delivery company for a 3/6 delivery and install.

3/2: Called because hadn't heard from anyone and called WP. Today Katrina ID # ** tells me they are making the new upgraded unit with an "anticipated delivery of MID MARCH." I just about flipped my lid. I asked for a supervisor of which she said she was a "SR support specialist." I asked that this be escalated and I get a call regarding status. She advised that she would inquire and call me back. Likely shouldn't hold my breath or try to call back because you are on hold for up to 1-2 hours. Just to clarify, have never had an issue with Whirlpool. Every appliance we have in our home is Whirlpool. I just can't believe this experience. I am going to the media on my next stop.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I bought a Whirlpool washing machine, model WTW4855HW, and was I ever shocked at how noisy it was. The wash cycle had a grinding noise that was just too much. After 2 loads I sent it back and didn't regret having to pay the restocking fee. I just couldn't believe that with all the technology we have today, that they couldn't build a quiet machine. I'm an engineer so I know there are methods through gearing, belts, soundproofing, etc, to produce a quiet machine. Remember the dishwasher of days gone by. You couldn't watch TV with the dishwasher going. Nowadays, you can stand in the kitchen and have a nice conversation with it running. The technology exists. As a matter of a fact, my old Maytag that finally went bad after 10 years was fairly quiet. So, if you don't have your washing machine in the garage or basement room where you can close the door, don't buy this machine! Bruce in Portland

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whirlpool?

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

Do not buy this washer. It does not get clothes clean. I use extra rinse (that negates the water savings) and still clothes comes out with stains on them. Some clothes are not even fully wet when removed after washings. I find myself soaking and pre-treating many items. White socks and undergarments are "grey" soon after buying. I always liked Whirlpool washer and dryer products, but this is a very poor product.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

Purchased new Whirlpool washer from builder - never worked. Serviced 4 times by Whirlpool - does not wash, does not sense, shakes like crazy. No resolution from Whirlpool - worst customer service experience.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

With the many selection to dry your clothes accordingly to your load, 9 times out of 10 all clothes are dry. I've used every cycle there is too often so that I could get a better trusted value. Also it removes more lint than any other brand that I could think of.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

It's supposed to be "energy efficient" yet it takes AT LEAST two times as long to get one load done, regardless of size or cycle preference! Now laundry takes all day! Literally! And why is there a lid lockout? Did someone accidentally fall in? If I drop something after I've pushed start, I have to wait until the machine unlocks the lid. Why? This seems counterproductive. It's a top loader!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Whirlpool has been a great brand of appliance for our families and we will continue to make Whirlpool our brand of choice for future purchases. We have bought many different brands in the past 3 decades but Whirlpool is our go to.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Whirlpool dryer and washers have the worst reliability, plus terrible customer service. Parts missing from factory install to faulty parts that constantly need to be replaced. Wasting precious time to meet with service repair people. Not worth it. Make products that are reliable and be accountable.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

This is the loudest washing machine I have ever had. Sounds like it is grinding. Called Whirlpool and said that is normal. Will never buy another one and will let everyone I know how noisy it is and not buy one.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I've had other brands of washers and dryers and I must say I always return to Whirlpool. They are well made and do what they are supposed to. Never had problems. My last set of Whirlpool was about 12 years old. Great product.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I bought a Whirlpool CABRIO washing machine. I was assured it would do large & bulky. I didn't realize that being so called energy efficient meant that it didn't put enough water in to get my clothes saturated! On large loads or bulky items when I put in my laundry detergent only to find out I had to try to wash them again. Parts of the clothes would still be unwashed & dry after going through a whole cycle! After washing the clothes that did get clean comes out looking like I took them to a stream and washed them on rocks. After taking care of my clothes so they didn't look as old as they were, they are now faded & old looking. I hate this washing machine!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I’ve had my washer and dryer for a long time and it has been okay and it’s time to update. It has had its up and down and I may get another just after a while they are outdated and better appliances come along. Smarter people are making smarter things.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

This Whirlpool Cabrio washing machine just does not do the job. It smells inside and does not get clothes clean, just normal everyday laundry. I usually have to put them through twice. It is supposed to be a water save, but I don't think it uses enough. I use minimal 'he' detergent, yet you can see detergent residue on the clothes after they are washed, I think because there is not enough water running through to rinse clothes very well.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

My Whirlpool washer and dryer are 19 yrs old and get the job done. But if I can find the money for new, I will replace them. I do worry about the lack of quality of new products and all the techy parts that I am told don't last with expensive repairs and push for extended warranties that don't really save money. Which brand do you recommend???

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

Purchased a Cabrio large capacity washer. It NEVER seemed to get the clothes clean enough, and after the sensors and bearings went bad within three years (out of warranty of course) I gladly kicked it to the curb. I bought a Samsung that has been great. I'd like to support USA made, but not when it is AWFUL.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

My dryer has to run twice to completely dry my clothes. I had it serviced still a problem. My washer has had some issues but repaired and working fine. I will never buy this name brand again. Not sure what I will buy next.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

The "new"? improved model with NO center agitator is the worst - clothes tangle badly and the load becomes very unbalanced, wobbly and noisy. How I got talked into this model by a Sears salespeople was a big mistake!!!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

I have a top loader Whirlpool and I love it. It cleans things really well. I do use oxi clean in it, so that maybe the difference. Gets lots of stains out. I have been able to put blankets in it and queen sized sheets.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

When you first get the washer it looks like it can get the job done. It's the brand name and you trust to get the best clean from the washer. After a couple of months I don't see them clean. It washes with a couple of shakes back and forth and when my clothes are ready they seem like they were dipped in water. Not clean. It has all these fancy buttons for all different types of cycles and loads and they all seem to wash the same. As a mother of 3 kids I want my kids to put on CLEAN clothes. Not clothes that look like they have just been dipped in the water with detergent. I feel a good on cleaning board and my hands do a lot more than these high priced washers.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

My washer and dryer have been a great experience. Doing laundry has never been my favorite chore but these energy efficient and state of the art machines live up to their advertising. One of the best things I like about the washer is the ability to set the run time for a future time. I do wish the dryer had something similar.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

Purchase at 2014 and still working and nowadays, they don't make refrigerators, washer or dryers to last more than 3 to 4 years. The quality of appliances, really such since the manufacturers are greedy. And after the 5 year Warranty expires, only Lowe's buys back the the appliances and Home Depot. Their Warranty specifies that you have to purchase from them to replacement of an appliances if purchased from them!??? Therefore I would not buy any appliance from them. A refrigerator, washer or dryer, you can take parts from each one and build a whole new appliance, which is very disappointing! TO ME THIS IS BAD BUSINESS FOR AMERICANS, not all people know this by experiencing this yourself and I let people know about my experiencing this myself, manufacturers should make products in The United States of America???

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

We have front loaders. Far, far less damaging to the clothing than a top loader with agitator, would never go back to top loader. That comes with a caveat though. There is a difference you may not realize between the two styles. With a front loader comes a little maintenance. You will need to clean the washer periodically. Most all the stores sell the cleaning tablets and no, not all cleaners are created equal. I will only use Affresh after testing most of them. With a front loader there is always some water in the bottom of the drum, even after the cycle ends and even when it looks empty. So if you wash real dirty or smelly things, you’ll want to run an empty cycle to rinse out that leftover water or run with cleaner.

In between wash days you’ll need to leave the door open so it doesn’t mold or mildew. The door gasket/seals will show mold and mildew and or you’ll get a mildew smell in your clothing. The only issues we’ve had with these units were the learning curve on front loaders in general and with the dryer we had the water valve for the steam function stick open (after 5 years) but it was due to calcium build up from our well water, not a issue with the machine itself.

The dryer lint screen could be better. It is vertical so as the lint builds up during a cycle it drops to the bottom and accumulated at the bottom falling off as you pull it out each time to clean it. The lint catches on a crazy amount of extrusions inside the lint trap which also makes it nearly impossible to get down in and effectively clean all the crap out. One last thing if you're changing from top to front loaders. Buy the peristalsis, they’re expensive but it’s a pain in the butt to get stuff out if you don’t have them. Overall we’ve been very happy with our Whirlpool front loaders and would confidently recommend them to you.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

We have purchased the middle of the line Whirlpool Duet series several times for own use as well as for our rentals. These things are beasts and we have hardly ever had any issues whatsoever with the 3 sets we have owned and used. I know things change from one production year to the next but the quality has been reliable with every set. Won't change brands unless reviews indicate they have declined big time in quality.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

The washing machine has been through 4 boots. The boot material is so flimsy, that they tear constantly causing water to leak out of the machine. There are times it is minimum water, and other times a lot of water.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

It goes off balance, frequently. It is moldy and stinky. I wipe it out, use a cleaner and leave the door open, but it still stinks. I am getting rid of it and buying a Speed Queen top loader. I am extremely disappointed in the front loader Whirlpool.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

Within two years I did have to replace the gasket on the washer. A wire behind the gasket caught on my load of clothes creating a mess and the whole thing had to be replaced. The washer is a side loader which I think does a better job of cleaning and uses less water, but if you have toddlers you will have to keep door closed and that cause mold and mildew buildup. Other than that I have had it for 12 years and both dryer and washer work well.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

Because the lid was not thoroughly covered, painted and sealed, it began to rust within first year. When I contacted Whirlpool about this - they were not only rude, but will not support quality issues with their products. They basically said they did not care and even acted like a consumer should expect such things! Actually said because it's subjected to high moisture levels. WRONG, I do NOT just expect rust. It only formed due to poor quality paint job and was not cured correctly. My Kenmore washer and dryer both, were 25 years old and had zero rust and still functioned when I replaced them with these Whirlpool. It's frustrating that there are no quality, American made products anymore.

Whirlpool expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Whirlpool is generally considered the largest home appliance maker in the world. The company employs over a 100,000 employees, with many of them located right in the United States. The company also has a strong commitment to environmental and social causes.

• Large capacities for a variety of customers: Whirlpool washers feature large capacities, with a few washers offering more capacity than 4.3 cubic feet.

• Corporate diversity: Whirlpool has a commitment to corporate diversity, and attempts to connect with groups like women, blacks and Asians through its various Whirlpool Action Networks.

• Auto-dispensing feature: With select washers, consumers can fill their washer with enough detergent for 12 washes. From there, the Whirlpool washer will dispense the exact amount of detergent needed, saving time and conserving detergent.

• Best for: People who want a hassle-free washing experience, families and professionals.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs