Whirlpool Washing Machines
1.25/5
Based on 139 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a washer and dryer?

Whirlpool Washing Machines

2310 Whirlpool Washing Machines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 17, 2018

I purchased my Whirlpool Cabrio H2Low from Sears 6 years ago. After numerous problems with clothes not getting clean (soap spots, stain transfers, etc) I learned the only setting I could use that actually cleaned was "bulky" with an extra rinse (so much for the energy efficiency). My first major repair was in the first year. We've since had 3 more and the darn thing died again this morning. First the motherboard died and needed replacement, the drain pump failed, the door lock failed, and twice now it stopped spinning. At first I thought maybe I was just unlucky and bought a defective machine but repair sites are filled with reports of similar problems with these machines. I will never buy another Whirlpool product again.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I bought front-loader WFW8540FW1 in November 2017 from Lowe's. I keep having problems with the washer not turning on. I am waiting for the repairman to come. Had repair done in March, May, and now June. I have gotten new electronics for replacement from Whirlpool each time. Obviously something is defective. Is there a lemon law for washers? Hope so. Never buy Whirlpool Washer again!

Get expert buying tips about Washers and Dryers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I purchased a new Whirlpool 3.6-cu ft Top-Load Washer (White-On-White) Model #: WTW4800BQ from Lowe's on 11/1/14, which was only 3 ½ years ago. The washer began making noise during the spin cycle so we called for service. The technician claimed that the bearing pack needed to be replaced and the repair would cost $400. This amount is $20 higher than the amount I paid to purchase the washer. Because the warranty is only one year, I contacted Whirlpool today and spoke with a representative. The representative said they could repair it under the warranty. When I asked how to proceed, she then asked me if I had an extended warranty. When I replied that if I had an extended warranty, I would be using it. She declined any assistance. I now have to purchase a new washer after only 3 and ½ years. I own 10 rentals. I promise that none of them will ever include a Whirpool product again.

Original review: June 6, 2018

Bought this Whirlpool washer (WTW5000DW0) to save energy and water consumption. It has been awful from day 1. Clothes come out with detergent (white marks) all over them. Clothes aren’t spun out enough to dry them. It takes FOREVER for a load to finish, I can’t imagine that this is saving me anything on electric. Waste of money. Do not buy this!

Original review: May 28, 2018

Bought this model #WTW8500DC from Lowe's in 2015. Ever since had problems. Stopping in the middle, not starting, recently keeps running water, lid lock issues, had multiple service calls and multiple hardware changes, paid extra for extended warranty from Whirlpool hoping that within a year all problems would be gone after so many repairs. Boys I was wrong. After spending around $1200 between this machine and the extended warranty, three year later after the warranty expired now I am stuck with this non-functional piece of junk and looking for another washing machine. Would love to hear from Whirlpool if I stumbled upon a lemon, or three year is expected life of their $1000 plus machines.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whirlpool?

Original review: May 25, 2018

We bought the washer and dryer set almost three years ago. Great sales pitch! Energy saver, extra capacity, low water usage, Whirlpool name and I thought we were getting great quality! Three years later I am disgusted, disappointed and am junking the washer. The dryer has a new heating element that we proudly fixed ourselves after the repairmen told us that these were meant to be throwaways. We just thought he did not want to work on it. After watching several YouTube videos we had it apart and found the issue was a cracked heating element. We ordered a new one for 100$ and spent another 4 hours putting it back together. If we had to pay a repairmen to do all that the bill would have been the price of a cheap new one.

Fast forward three weeks and now the washer quit and it can be one of at least 15 problems. After reading all these reviews we have decided to toss it as junk. It took forever to was a load of clothes negating any energy saving! Whirlpool should be ashamed of themselves for ripping off all of us hardworking Americans selling us junk. At one time the Whirlpool name meant you could count on a quality product! If Whirlpool really wanted to do the right thing, they would stop selling these immediately and give customers a credit toward the purchase of new washers and dryers!

Original review: May 24, 2018

High end Whirlpool dual front loader washing machine model number WFW94HEXW2 died after 5+ years of less than moderate use. Used no more than once a week. Paid for a top end model. Had 2 mechanics look at it. Mechanically it is fine. The CCU is not working correctly and won't allow it to start. We replaced it, but to no avail. It is barely out of warranty at 5+ years old. Called Whirlpool and they said they would do nothing. Asked for a manager and she was rude to add insult to injury. Can't get to the serial number because the door is locked shut as part of the shutdown problem. Can't find original receipt so including a picture of the credit card purchase. Trying to contact retailer but so far have not heard back from them.

Original review: May 21, 2018

Just purchased Whirlpool top load large capacity washing machine with no agitator at Lowe’s three months ago. I sit at the kitchen table in my freshly washed exercise clothes and smell body odor. There were six exercise items in the load and supposedly enough soap. The load washed for 45 minutes last evening. Yard work clothes washed yesterday are not clean. I had to remove grass from the bottom of the tub. When I iron my smocks for work, since I work with animals, I pick pet hair off of them as I iron. Judging from other reviews, this torture won’t last long, before I need to replace this piece of junk. My last washer lasted 20 years. If it didn't leak water, it would still be running. Thanks Whirlpool, I guess the joke is on me!

Original review: May 17, 2018

I purchased my Whirlpool Cabrio washing machine a couple years ago at Lowe's. It sucks. First of all, my washer stinks all the time. It smells like sewer even after the cleaning cycle. My dark clothes come out with a white residue, and my whites come out with dirt on them that wasn't on them before washing... All this even after running an additional rinse cycle. How is this energy efficient? Not to mention, time efficient??? Crazy that once you buy something like this for this amount of money you're pretty much stuck with it... Isn't there a lemon law for appliances? This was so expensive and such piece of crap. I will never buy a Whirlpool washer ever again!

Original review: May 14, 2018

My Cabrio leaves my husband's jeans dirty. Never had this problem with my old Kenmore. I spray all his jeans with Shout before I wash them, but because there is so little water in the machine, even on the deep water setting, they still never look clean. Also, the machine is shredding his hankies and putting holes in my tee-shirts. This machine is a piece of crap!!

Original review: May 9, 2018

Whirlpool top loading piece of junk! I would give it a zero star review if I could! Do not buy this machine!!! I agree with many other reviews. It doesn’t get the clothes cleaned and now a completely doesn’t work. We reset it, we’ve had the service guy come in and replace a bunch of parts on it. It’s past its one year warranty and doesn’t work anymore. Piece of junk! Junk, junk, junk!!! Waste of money. Do you not buy the Whirlpool tub loading washing machine!

Original review: May 9, 2018

Purchased the 2015 Whirlpool Cabrio. Today 5-2018, the panel went completely out. When I called the store (Lowe's) they asked if I purchased the warranty. I responded no, she went on to say, “Well since you choose not to purchase the warranty you're stuck”. Even if I paid for the warranty a washer should not break down in less than 3 years. My previous washer lasted 18 years with no problems. We purchased this washer because of the larger load. It was one of the most expensive washers. It’s a piece of junk and the manufacturer will not stand by their horrible product. Please DO NOT buy! I will be filing a formal complaint.

Original review: May 8, 2018

I purchase newly Whirlpool washing machine but it was not working from the first day of my purchase. So many service Engineer came but nobody can solve the problem, so I suggest to all please don’t buy washing machine from Whirlpool. I am very disappointed from this company.

Original review: May 3, 2018

You Have Been Warned! Do Not Buy A Whirlpool. We bought this Whirlpool washer from Lowe's. It is a top loader without the agitator in it. The sales pitch was very good. One of the best washers on the market. It was less than 1 year old when it started getting out of balance. We would stop it and rearrange the clothes and start it back up. Over a few months it just got worse. Now, it will scare you when it gets out of balance. You can't set within 5' of it or it will run you over when it jumps, but you have to set close enough monitoring it or it will run out the door of the utility room after you. Now, I find out the Maytag has bought Whirlpool Corp. Not a good move for them. Whirlpool has mess it's own name up, why would Maytag want any part of it? I don't think I will trust Maytag anymore either for fear it may be a Whirlpool.

Original review: April 28, 2018

Bought a brand new front loader washing machine and the 1st, 2nd & 3rd year has to call for service for the same problem! Sent one repair guy to the house and banged on my machine the whole time because he was frustrated and had to report because he made my wife nervous. Never again Whirlpool!

Original review: April 28, 2018

I bought a Whirlpool washing machine from Home Depot 4 years ago. It immediately started to grow mold in the seal even though I wiped it clean after usage. I called a certified technician to replace the seal. As he was removing one screw on the lock the Washing machine shorted out essentially destroying the panel and rendering the machine broken. I called Whirlpool and told them that the machine was defective otherwise, why would it do that? My technician has worked on hundreds of machines and this is the first time this has happened. The two managers I talked to refused to help me because I didn't have an extended warranty.

It is true that I don't have an extended warranty but also, I had faith that Whirlpool had sold me a good product. There is no other explanation for the washing machine to do that other than it was defective. I asked the managers to send me replacement parts, but they refused to do that. The last machine I had was a Maytag that lasted 20 years and when I gave it away, it was still working. I expected no less from the Whirlpool I purchased at Home Depot.

Original review: April 22, 2018

I have purchased full automatic machine of Whirlpool on 15 April 2018. From that we are taking follow ups from their service center on installation and demo. But they are responding in worst way I have ever seen in my life. They don't even value the customer as whenever we call them again to know status for serviceman they had ask about to wait next two hours, then again next 2 hours. Through this way they had taken our whole day. I will recommend not to purchase any product of Whirlpool as they treat customer in worst way.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I have purchased a Whirlpool Washing Machine Mode W/P WM ROY 6212SD(31089) Sl.No.INF 153400517) GRAY/CHR TN 6.5 on 05.12.2015 with two years warranty on complete washing machine. The warranty period over on 04.12.2017. Exactly after over 3 months the machine start giving noise and we had been in touch Whirlpool and registered the complaint during last week of March 2018 and their local service center people visited, charged Rs.500/- service charge and informed that the machine to be taken to their service center to ascertain the complaint.

After over a week informed that the machine complaints of Tub Support, Seal, Bearing, Drive etc. and the estimate is Rs.5,900/- including transportation (hardly 6 kms). The machine cost was only Rs.16,900/- then. I am surprised to know that just after 3 months of expiration of warranty the machine went wrong and the cost or repair costs me Rs.5,900/- is very huge. I hope the concerned will examine this.

Original review: April 18, 2018

This washer was expensive, platinum line. Clothes never smelled fresh and clean like they should. There is not enough water to cover and clean. After 4 years it started smelling dank and unpleasant even after cleaning cycle is run. Now I discover it has been leaking for quite a while. It will be 6 years old in July. The top won't stay up. This happened months ago. The part alone is 250.00 according to several sites. I just prop it up. Very displeased with this poorly constructed, expensive rip off!

Original review: April 15, 2018

I am in the process of replacing the bottom seal on my 6-year-old Whirlpool Cabrio (WTW5500XW2) washer. This will be the fourth major repair I have done on it. Fortunately, I can do the work myself and know how to find the best price on parts, but it is still discouraging that a lightly-used washer would have so many problems in such as short time. (It replaced a 20-year-old Maytag that finally rusted out.) Repairs to date: 1) replaced drain pump motor; 2) replaced lid switch; 3) removed basket twice to clean outer tub, due to mold and odors; 4) replaced suspension rods due to excessive spin vibration; 5) out of commission awaiting a new bottom seal. Total cost of parts (labor was on me) is well over $100.

Original review: April 15, 2018

Worst washing machine ever, I should’ve kept my 12-year-old washer that leaked, it worked better and actually washed my clothes... This washer, the Cabrio 5.3 leaves clothes DIRTY, can’t use fabric softener because it doesn’t wash it out even with the extra rinse and deep water wash, leaves white ** on everything!!! I have to wash everything TWICE! I hate this washer! I hate Whirlpool! Piece of **, I want my money back or I want a different washer that actually works as it should! Wasted money on this piece of **! BUYER BEWARE. DO NOT BUY!!! Bought from Best Buy and boy did they sell it to me, told me it was the best washer out and will save me money! SMH.

Original review: April 11, 2018

Bought it less than 2 months ago. It doesn't wash. It doesn't spend. It works every 2-3 hours if I'm lucky. It's the worst product ever. It's not like it was refurbished. It was brand new. Smh. I thought it would save me money by buying a washer. Off to the laundromat I go. I do not recommend this product especially to someone who has a family and on a budget.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I bought this Whirlpool Cabrio Top Load Washing Machine in December and have hated it ever since. The energy efficiency this item claims means that you will spend a ridiculous amount of time waiting for your load to finish. My family hates this machine and I regularly have to hear about how long the load is taking because the timer adjusts continually. Put in a "QUICK" load and it said 38 minutes, came back in 30 and it said 24 minutes. It is so frustrating!!! We are afraid to put anything on a heavy soil setting or anything other than quick, because it can take 2-3 hours to complete. I have to schedule a day to wash my bedding and there isn't any convenience in doing a quick load. I am going to have to sell this one and purchase another washer. What a loss!! This machine has been a time and money waster! I will NEVER BUY WHIRLPOOL again!!! I bought this machine through Best Buy.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I bought this Cabrio Washing Machine just over a year ago and it never drained water when I was doing towels and bed sheets. Life got in the way, and I managed to run smaller loads in the regular settings. Now, the machine is just over a year old and it will not spin unless I put it on the rinse and spin issue. It takes well over 2 hours to wash a load of laundry. From looking at other reviews, this is a big problem. I would not recommend this washer to anyone. It cost a ton of money and was the worst washing machine I have ever used.

Original review: April 8, 2018

I absolutely hate this washing machine. When I bought it a couple of years ago I thought it would be great for large items... NOT! It leaves white residue on dark colors but the MOST important issue is going off balance. The lid stays locked and you have to start the cycle from the beginning... What a waste!!! Never again will I get a Whirlpool.

Original review: April 8, 2018

I am making my last payment on this junk ass washer and I can't wait to leave this one at the curb! Like the other reviewers...this machine leaves white deodorant on dark shirts, sheet sets either constantly off balance or parts of them still dry after wash cycle is finished! I changed detergents several times thinking that was the issue...but the bottom line is the "sell" of having no agitator and "water saving" features leave you with dirty clothes and off balance crazy shaking nonsense! DO NOT BUY THIS MACHINE!

Original review: April 5, 2018

I bought the Cabrio Whirlpool washer and dryer thinking Whirlpool was the best! Wrong! Worst washer and dryer ever! Washer doesn't get clothes clean! Leaves white residue on dark clothes! Can't put over two blankets in large tub because it gets off balanced! It won't spin water out of delicate clothes done on quick cycle! Doesn't put enough water in to wash anything! Dryer wrinkles clothes so bad I have to iron! Paid $1,200 each! So noisy you can't stay in the house when you are washing! So disappointed I will never buy Whirlpool again!!!

Original review: April 4, 2018

Purchased Whirlpool washing machine two years ago but transformed into junk within two years. Fraud company only searching ways to loot the money of the innocent customers and manufacturing such appliances which greasing mentally.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I purchased this monster in 2012 and after six years of enduring not enough water to actually wash the clothes for years, now the bearings have gone out making it sound like a jet engine is in my family room when it spins. After researching the bearing issue, I find it will cost $250 to $300 to have them replaced. It's also a common problem in this model even when the washer isn't at all worn out and old. That combined with the fact that my clothes don't smell clean and some blankets come out not even wet at all, I'm done. I won't ever buy a water efficient washer again. Churning the dirty underwear around with a few cups of water isn't acceptable. NOTE: The bearings left months after the extended warranty expired. Just like clockwork. I purchased a much cheaper - center agitator - washer with a "deep water" option available. It was half the price of this top of the line Whirlpool Cabrio Washer.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I too expected a whole lot more for the price I paid for Whirlpool WTW5000DW1 HE washer top load. Fuzz, grass, pet hair and food remain after washing. Had a repairman out to look at it. There is nothing wrong with it. He says they do not use much water to save money. Well, if I a have to wash everything at least twice am I saving money? Think. Will look into an old fashioned washboard next time. Frankly I think it is a scam. The HE Tide is more concentrated and my clothes do not come clean! Tried to get my money back from the company that sold it to me and I was told only if I were to buy the $900 Speed Queen. Someone’s making a lot of money from consumers who need washing machines.

Whirlpool expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Whirlpool is generally considered the largest home appliance maker in the world. The company employs over a 100,000 employees, with many of them located right in the United States. The company also has a strong commitment to environmental and social causes.

• Large capacities for a variety of customers: Whirlpool washers feature large capacities, with a few washers offering more capacity than 4.3 cubic feet.

• Corporate diversity: Whirlpool has a commitment to corporate diversity, and attempts to connect with groups like women, blacks and Asians through its various Whirlpool Action Networks.

• Auto-dispensing feature: With select washers, consumers can fill their washer with enough detergent for 12 washes. From there, the Whirlpool washer will dispense the exact amount of detergent needed, saving time and conserving detergent.

• Best for: People who want a hassle-free washing experience, families and professionals.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs