Whirlpool Washing Machines

Compare Washers and Dryers

Research top Washers and Dryers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

The Cabrio is the absolute worst washer that I've ever owned! No matter what combination of setting I use, my clothes come out dingy, all twisted and wrinkled, and full of lint and detergent residue (I use liquid detergent made specifically for HE washers). Every setting runs for over an hour. So much for high efficiency! What it saves on water it more than wastes on electricity!! More often than not, the entire load becomes enveloped in one of the items to create one huge ball. A t-shirt stretched to encompass the remaining clothes into a perfect sphere! When that happens, some of the laundry in the middle of the big ball is barely damp. The dryer is just as bad, even the towels come out wrinkled. How is that possible? And again, it takes over an hour to dry a load.

Whirlpool customer service is awful. When I called to complain, the agent began schooling me on how to wash clothes. I'm 66 years old, I've washed a few clothes in my lifetime and have always prided myself in my white whites and bright colors. I have a new house and the builder provided all the appliances. Based on my past negative experience with Whirlpool products and their customer service, I would not have purchased Whirlpool.

We purchased a new Whirlpool Cabrio Platinum W10405142B washer and dryer just over 3 years ago. We decided to go back to the top load as we were having so many issues with odor from our front load. We purchased the set at a Sears store in Timmins Ontario and we’re quite confident that we were getting an excellent product. From day 1 we have had issues with having to rewash our clothes. We have lint and white streaks on the clothes as if we were using powdered detergent and they are all tangled. We have always used HE liquid and at one point I switched to soap nuts to get rid of using chemicals. We have now changed to pods and still have issues. When the washer is spinning it is deafening. You can hear it outside for goodness sakes. It sounds like it is about to take off and fly.

The cycles are ridiculously long. For a quick cycle the other day and a very small load it took 72 minutes... how is that quick? When the wash is done my clothes are all tangled up and are stretching things out of shape. I am careful what goes in my washer and how large my load is. I know not to wash sheets or towels when I am not home as they will eventually be unbalanced and have Sat all day in the washer only to have another hour of washing when I get home. We are currently doing some work in our home and pulled out the washer. The floor has a rust circle from God knows what. I will attach a picture. The lid not longer closes. I have to hold it down until it locks and it still pops up a wee bit.

I do not understand why I am responsible for purchasing a new set when the product I bought should have lasted and not caused damage to my clothes or my flooring. How do we as consumers make the manufacturers responsible for things like this. If nothing else the appliances should be removed from my home by the Company and I should be reimbursed for damages and the cost of a new set. I will continue to look for my receipt as I keep everything and I am unsure what is meant by order #.

I purchased the Whirlpool Cabrio with the touch panel and top loader. The absolute worst. The machine leaves white marks all over dark clothes even when the extra rinse feature is used. I've tried multiple detergents, skipping fabric softener completely, using very little detergent, and even tried different water temperatures. Nothing works. And should one have to go through such extremes to not have white streaks left on dark clothes? Absolutely not especially for the money spent.

The machine wrinkles clothes like I have never see before. The dryer usually gets them out but not always. They are mangled after washing. Using the first or second spin speed helps reduce some but they are wetter going into the dryer that way. If I wash bed clothes, the tight fitting sheet that fits snugly around the mattress must be washed alone. If not, all the other items end up encased in it as if you've intentionally packed it that way to carry everything around. This leaves everything absolutely soaked. I have also had shirts come out with dry spots on them. How does a piece of clothing come out of a washer with more than one dry spot on it? And no I did not over pack the machine.

I have had no problems with the dryer. It does its job so no complaints on that. I would not recommend the Whirlpool Cabrio to my worst enemy. Complete waste of time, money, and water!!! Very disappointed and will never buy from this company again and will prevent anyone else from doing so the rest of my life. Did the company do zero testing on this machine before selling it? Because I see a lot of repetitive reviews. Or the company was well aware and did not care and just wanted to make money? Either way is unacceptable. Garbage!!!

This is the worst washer/dryer I have ever had. It is so damn loud that the neighbors can hear it. Water level is too low. Today the dial is making a buzzing sound. I have to re-rinse the clothes. It does not spin enough, have to re-spin again. What kind of energy saver is this, NONE. They said that's the way the machine is, loud, that's bull. No machine should be like that. I threw money away when I bought that piece of (you know what). Don't buy this machine. Consumer Affairs, you should pursue this product with Whirlpool and have them do something about it. They do absolutely NOTHING.

Read reviews on the same washer (Cabrio Whirlpool) that I had purchased in January 2017. I have the same problem everyone else has with it, not cleaning the clothes. It was such a disappointment. Had a Whirlpool front in loader for 15 years. Loved it! But the washing machine's without the agitator on it is a laugh. What person thought up that design. What a joke on the poor unknowing people that purchased one. I'm also upset at G&H Appliances for not standing by their products they sell. Found out that Lowe's has a 30 day satisfaction guarantee on what they sell. Not buying from Lowe's and buying a washer without on agitator on it. Was two big mistakes I made. I wanted to help out a small local business, but won't be doing that again. They sure are not worried about me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whirlpool?

I had a Whirlpool washer for three years that I bought at Sears and it started making a noise. I called Sears repair and they said it was the bearings. Would cost 600.00 dollars. The machine is still running making a noise are there more in a machine. I will never buy a Whirlpool product. I just lost my husband and I cannot find the bill but I am calling Sears tomorrow.

I am the unproud owner of, god help me, two small whirlpool front loaders (2 unit building) WFC7500VW0 and WFC7500VW0-1, manufactured in China. I invite anyone interested in purchasing a major appliance to read the following exchange with customer support. Friday afternoon, March 17, 2017 - My whirlpool washing machine stopped draining, and I called in an appliance repair company who found, running your diagnostics, that the door switch and the drain pump had failed. The repair was difficult, because corrosion prevented access to the parts to be replaced. After they replaced them and the same problems recurred, they now say the master board is the problem, and the total repair cost has risen to above the new price. This machine is 5 years old! What happened to Whirlpool quality? I guess what was most disturbing was the amount of corrosion. My old Whirpool lasted over 25 years!

"To protect our customers against the possibility of a defect in materials and/or workmanship, all of our new products include a manufacturer's warranty. This warranty states that we will repair or replace any part that proves to be defective within a specified period of time. It has been our experience that manufacturing defects generally appear within the warranty. However, outside of that warranty it is the consumer's responsibility to maintain the appliance and to provide for repairs, either by paying out of pocket or by continuous coverage by a service contract. After the washer is repaired you can certainly contact us and we can get you to the service plan department and they can go over the options with you." Well, no, if that's the best you've got, I think I'll get out of the Whirpool spin before I spend another $389 to replace the central board. I mean, I've already spent over $500 to replace parts that weren't the problem. Good money after bad.

After 12 months (warranty) the bearings had to be replaced, $300. 12 months later bearings needed replaced again for another $300... was told by the repairman not to waste my money. This would happen again in another 12 months. This is a issue with these washers. Opted to get something else. Very unhappy to only get a couple of years out of this machine. I have also had to wash some loads twice to get clean... unacceptable performance!!! Contacted Lowe's & Whirlpool to no avail of course. Never again!!

We purchased 6 six appliances for our home just over one year ago. The initial problem with the washing machine literally took ten home visit to resolve with the final solution being total replacement. Far too many days away from work. The laundry appliances have a loud beeping noise that goes off with the slightest contact, annoying and designed to be eliminated or muted. Today we discovered that the water filter in the fridge is single sourced at over $50 with shipping, which seems usurious at best. Will look elsewhere for the next house/purchase and NEVER buy from this company, including their other brands...Kitchenaid, Maytag, etc.

We purchased this washer and dryer new in 2011. Have repaired door to washer twice. New door's total cost $500.00 each time. Now it is cracked yet again and the dryer door has to be adjusted. The temp does not work right. Have to do minimum of 2 cycles for drying. Very unhappy. We may as well buy a new set of another make. Tired of the expensive repairs.

I have been a dedicated Whirlpool customer for 50 years. I purchased my new, Cabrio washer and dryer in 2011. The dryer works fine. The washer does not. It ties everything in knots. Most everything comes out in one large, wrinkled lump. When washing sheets, it wraps the whole load in a soaking wet, fitted sheet bubble. You cannot wash one item by itself, because it will become unbalanced and shutdown. I will say that I haven't had any repairs yet, but I have a feeling, it's only a matter of time. I have decided to buy a new washer, but it will not be a Whirlpool.

I am very unhappy with the Whirlpool Cabrio washing machine that I purchased. Dark clothing comes out with lint deposits that will not come off. I have to rewash them at least one more time and then it does not always come out. I don't know if it is because the water level is too low or that it has no lint filter but I will never purchase another Whirlpool product again.

I paid over $1,000.00 for a washer based upon previous experience with Whirlpool appliances. I am single, over 65, and use this machine infrequently, as compared to when I had children. The only thing Whirlpool is offering is another of their machines at a discounted price. I value principles more than dollars. I refuse to give them another $600+ as a reward for making junk which apparently should have been recalled. The part I need is not available any place I've found online. And it completely controls the power to the machine. You cannot open the door, you cannot turn it on. I had two service calls to discover this part is not available.

I have recently bought a Whirlpool Cabrio washer/dryer combo and I wish I had read your reviews before doing so. I spend quite an amount of time washing, re washing, rinsing dark clothes to end up washing them by hand as the washer leaves unsightly white streaks on them. I have tried switching from hot water to cold, using very little detergent, buying clear detergent, then organic detergent, extra rinsing, etc. to no avail. Very frustrated and disappointed. I would gladly join any class action to stop Whirlpool selling these useless but expensive washers.

Whirlpool Cabrio Washer WTW7340XW sounds like a small jet during spin cycle. The Whirlpool Cabrio Washers have a very well known and well documented problem with the tub bearings failing. Many many disgruntled owners have posted their complaints online, and there are many videos showing the issue on youtube. This issue is so prevalent that the manufacturer has created a tub bearing failure repair kit for $350. The repair is so expensive and labor intensive that many of the certified Whirlpool repair shops no longer work on the Cabrio washer stating that a better washer can be purchased for the cost of this repair.

That said, the manufacturer's customer service group denies that the Cabrio tub bearing failures is a common problem and are quick to state that Whirlpool holds no liability for this problem. Ramping the complaint up to a customer service supervisor is met with the same canned response. Regardless of the thousands of complaints Whirlpool is claiming that it is normal wear and tear for the tub bearings to fail. The manufacturer should recall the units for this manufacturing defect in the Cabrio design.

Another load of darks with white soap residue splattered across every item. Despite using a soap pod and setting to so-called "Deep Water" wash. Whirlpool top load WTW5000 is a terrible machine. As in other reviews, constant soap residue and clothes stretched and tangled into a compressed wad with deep wrinkles as you try and untangle them after the wash. Unable to dilute your soap and faking out the machine to get a bit more water are recurrent themes. Just ridiculous. There should be a class action suit for replacement. The customer service is useless and terrible - actually - there is probably nothing they can say and no answer or fix for this horrible machine.

WTW8800YWO Whirlpool Cabrio washer, 4 yrs old! Replaced!!! It's a poor quality washer -- the bearings go out. I purchased this washer and matching dryer at Lowe's following a house fire. I initially thought the water saver was a good feature. Unfortunately, my clothes were not clean and were covered with lint following each wash. I have had to replace the ring inside the washer due to shifting and causing water damage to the new flooring. I soon became disappointed with my purchase, but until the noise became so loud in the spin cycle and the repair exceeded the initial costs, I kept the washer. I am another consumer who would NEVER purchase nor recommend a Whirlpool W/D. The repairman said, "If you want a washer built to last, buy a Speed Queen!"

After 50+ years of doing laundry, I had to purchase my 3rd washer. I bought the new top loader without an agitator. I very quickly learned that it has no lint filter. My first load was towels and mats. The lint clogged up my tub and drain pouring water all over the floor. Since then it has ruined many of my clothes which are mostly sweaters and sweater-knits. Without a lint filter, it deposits the lint right back on the clothes where it stays forever unless I shave or pick it off, even though I've turned them inside-out. (Time consuming waste!) Even my socks have little balls of lint. It seems the only safe fabrics are new, smooth woven cottons, cotton-blends and slippery nylon providing there is no lace or brushed elastic.

Now to the no fabric-softener dispenser... The Downy ball simply doesn't work, and there's no other way to add it. Waiting to use dryer sheets is too late; the damage is done. My clothes are dingy. In my 50+ years of ownership, I have never had to purchase a separate product to wash my washer so that it doesn't stink... and it does. Why does it lock after starting? If I could afford to replace it, I would... but I can't.

This Whirlpool washing machine is incredibly annoying and slow in everything it does. First off when you press the START button it takes 2-3 minutes before it decides to do anything, like maybe add water (except click, click and more click). If you have pressed the start button and you want to stop it to add something... again you have to wait almost 2-3 minutes before the lock is released and you can open the door. I am at 2 hrs and 15 minutes as I write this on the "LIGHT WASH" cycle with extra rinse and it's still going. I have never seen anything like it. Can't imagine how long a "HEAVY CYCLE" takes. Cannot even try to measure the time. I put the load in and go to work and hope it's complete when I'm done 8 hrs later.

We had a Maytag for 15 years with no issues (other than a drain hose cracked and had to be replaced) and it was time for a new one with a move to a new place. The sales associate convinced us this was the best machine at the time... Well what a mistake that was. There are no complaints about the actual washing. Everything comes out clean but I suppose taking that long I can't imagine why it wouldn't. I certainly can't recommend a Whirlpool washer to a friend, because I dread the thought of doing laundry at this point.

The Whirlpool duet front loading washing machine came with our new house five years ago. That machine has destroyed multiple clothing items including very expensive sweaters and undergarments. It has destroyed biking shorts and just about anything of value. Even destroyed the bags fur delicate clothing. I have to get a repair guy out every year to replace the bellow too! It is terrible!!!

WTW6340WW0 - When washing clothes, on the last spin it stops and gives an UL error message. I make sure all the clothes are level and restart at that point but still the UL error message appears and water starts leaking from the underneath of the machine. We've reset the and unplug the machine but no difference. Please help on what else to do.

We purchased the pair a year ago and it's been nothing but headaches. First of all, half the clothes don't even get wet. They say it's high efficiency but I don't think there's any efficiency when it doesn't even wash them. Second, when it actually does wash them, it leaves detergent all over the clothes. Imagine your black dress pants with white bleach like streaks all over them. We called because we were under warranty and a repair man came out. Totally useless. He said because it's high efficiency, it's supposed to do that. Not clean my clothes?? Why would I have purchased a WASHING machine that doesn't clean clothes?? Is there some other use for it I'm unaware of?? He told us to try using deep water setting and extra rinse. So now we can wash 3 pair of socks at a time instead of one. Yippee.

Do NOT BUY THIS CABRIO WASHER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE. You'd be better off with a plastic bucket from the dollar store. If you get it as a gift, the person who bought it for you may secretly hate you. I wish we'd had the benefit of these reviews. Now we're out $1500. Will NEVER, EVER BUY A WHIRLPOOL PRODUCT AGAIN. Not only does it not work, they refuse to recall it or refund it. Off to the laundromat to WASH my clothes.

I bought a Whirlpool top loading washing machine with dryer on top, model # WGT4027EWo, last August, not even 3 months old and noticed the lint was not coming off the clothes. We tried cleaning out the washing machine with vinegar, wiping down the sides, using smaller loads and even used the gentle cycle. Nothing helped. We have had 2 different repair men out and they said there is nothing wrong with the washing machine and to put the clothes in the dryer and use fabric softener. I have never had to use fabric softener in my washing machine to get my clothes clean. When reaching out to customer service, I have spent over 2 hours and no satisfaction.

They state that the technicians say there is nothing wrong with the machine. I was told by both of the technicians that they removed the lint trap from this machine, but no one is taking responsibility. My whites have blue lint and my darks have white lint, so too strong an agitation, as suggested by one repairmen is completely wrong! What to do when you spend over $1,000 on a washer/dryer combo and they don't work correctly and Whirlpool doesn't stand behind their product? Honestly, I will never buy another product from this company, and I 60 y/o and never made a complaint before about a appliance in my life!!! I don't even think I can give them 1 star! DO NOT BUY WHIRLPOOL - CUSTOMER SERVICE IS HORRIBLE!!!

The Whirlpool HE H2Low Washer is the worst piece of crap I've ever wasted my money on! It leaves soap residue on all my dark clothes! DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY! Whirlpool should be ashamed of themselves for continue to sell these pieces of crap!

Where to begin? I bought Whirlpool Duet Front-Load Washing Machine about 11 months ago after my top load bearing went bad and start making a lot of noise after 8-9 years. 4 months ago (6 months from purchase) it started to act strange; washing machine will not unlock after a cycle, start throwing F3E1 error. That's when I first called their support service. Their service technicians are very nice actually. They seem to be local small appliance shop, contacted out by Whirlpool, from my guess. Initial visit was to inform me that I'm using WAY too much soap, while I was only using well below what was recommended by Whirlpool manual. RED FLAG #1. Technicians told me to stop using too much soap or start using POD. Also to flush my washing machine with 2 cups of white vinegar in hot cycle every few weeks. I've changed my soap to Tide POD and starting flushing my washing machine immediately after he left my house.

It was running OK, but I still saw F3E1 error at the end of every other cycle, until... thing went really bad one day, it simply stopped responding any command while clothes was still in the washing machine. I unplugged power cable and plug it back, it hums for 10 mins and in the end it was the same result. After several attempt, it finally unlocked itself, thus I could wash my clothes at my parents' house. This is when I called support service 2nd time. The same technician came and this time, I had video recording of everything. He could not dismiss this with simple "soap" theory, so he opens up the washing machine and tells me that it's due to bad control board. He proceeds to order new control board, which took a few weeks.

New technician comes back with new control board and installs, runs a few test command (not full cycle) and leaves. During this whole time, I'm left with no washing machine at home. Good thing I travel sometimes and laundry is done remotely sometimes. This repair didn't improve the situation much. I called them back for another appointment. Another technician comes back and tells me that Whirlpool sent back "BAD" control board. Now, I'm really suspecting their product is really piece of **. At least at this point, I was still happy with their service. He leaves my house claiming that they will order new control board and re-install.

A few days later, I receive a call from a lady, claiming that Whirlpool has instructed them to ask me to use different outlet, since they believe my outlet is causing issues. Now I'm really pissed. Coming from electrical engineering background, I know there's always any chance, but they should double check this with their own technicians. Anyways, I perform their recommendation, which I knew was a shot in the dark. During this whole ordeal, I'm working on a project that are out of state (CA). Not only do I have time to stay home for all these service visits, but I'm not even home to test my washing machine. During one of the holiday, I was able to take a few days off. This is when I decided to take different approach. I went to the retailer, whom I purchased my washing machine from. They were also nice, but there's so much they can do.

I called Whirlpool direct line to explain my situation, how unhappy I was, and to replace my washing machine. Their response was by the book: "We can only execute our warranty policy and replacement is not part of warranty." The representative specialist had enough nerve to ask me why I have not called back in several weeks and continue to repeat it as if it's my problem for not reporting back. I had spent 2 months of supports and 4 site visits, where I had to reschedule my work or take a day off, before travelling for projects after holiday seasons. This representative really took customer service to next level of hell.

In the end I'm without properly functioning washing machine for 4 months. I have to coordinate with my parents to use their washing machine when I'm back home. My advice, you should really think 3 times before buying Whirlpool washing machine or any other appliance. Also consider that you're on your own, when their product malfunctions, and you'll be sitting on dead appliances.

You cannot control anything on this machine. You cannot pre-fill to dilute detergent- you cannot choose temp because what you choose is changed by the machine (manual). You cannot choose your own combinations of temp, water volume, and timing. Once the ** thing starts you can't change anything, like the setting you wish to use. Do NOT BELIEVE THIS IS ENERGY EFFICIENT. There is a REASON that this machine has a 2nd rinse. It is because so little water is used that it does not allow soap, lint or dirt to have anywhere to go but back into your clothes. YOU have to trick it out to get enough water to actually get some loads truly wet. EVER! You stand there like an idiot opening and closing the lid just to get enough water to dilute the detergent. You can't pre fill and then add your detergent because, it needs to "sense" your clothes load. Won't fill with the lid open. You can't rinse the detergent cup out.

You only get to do what Whirlpool already knows about your needs. Oh & let's not forget the spin cycle. When you open the lid, large items like sheets will look like a pancake made from one of the sheets. However underneath will be a tangle of the rest of your wash worthy of a Gordian knot. You can yank your shoulders out trying to dislodge the clothes. Spin yes, I guess it did, I just didn't need permanent press wrinkles. And that's if you CAN actually open the lid. For some idiopathic reason the lid may be on lock. Good luck with that. Most often, you'll find no reason that you can discern like an unbalanced load or as the booklet suggests, you haven't figured out how to load a machine.

I hate the design of this so much that I called the company and they said that they would send a repair man out to see if it's working. What's he going to do? Run a couple of washes and say 'hey that's how they design these things'? They will not replace it. They do not stand behind their products. You are stuck with bad design period.

Describe Yourself: Frequent User. Service/Delivery: It came with a big dent in the dryer we bought with it. Installer dudes crossed the hot with the cold. Whirlpool will not stand behind the products they make & they make lots of the brand names. So they figure they can just do exactly what they want and you're screwed because even under warranty, they'll only fix the mess of engineering they designed in the first place. Bottom Line: No, I would not recommend this to a friend.

We are on our 3rd washer and second dryer in 10 years. Our latest replacement was purchased 3 months ago and is already broken and now we have been without a washer for a whole month. Not only do they have issues with the control panel and latch, but they smell. The dryer also had a control panel issue. Trying to get our units fixed presented even more problems and wrong parts would come in, with weeks going by without parts/service. Apologies and sympathies expressed on the phone are not enough. When you buy a matching set and only one breaks, you tend to replace the matching unit, which we regret and we went back and forth with our washer and dryer. I would never recommend a Whirlpool product after this. We finally got a replacement today and due to more poor communication on their end, they could not hook up. My new washer sits in the laundry room, and I hate it before I even get it hooked up.

My Cabrio washer is 6 years old & has performed poorly from day 1. It does not clean properly so I have to rewash or wash clothes on a longer cycle (so much for energy efficient), it sounds like a plane taking off and has actually startled visitors, and it mysteriously forms sheets, towels & blankets in the shape of spare tire. This is the worst washer I've ever bought.

Cabrio is our washer and dryer. Dryer had no issues in the last 7 years. Washer constantly throw UL or unbalanced error and stops. Rearranging clothes only works for another few minutes. First time under warranty, tech came and fixed it. Second time without warranty, I cleared some loose socks between the tub. Third time same problem. YouTube suggested to change the "springs" on four corners that hold the tub. $25 and problem fixed. Basically, if you are not an informed consumer you are screwed for $$ silly stuff.

Overall, I am happy with my Cabrio BUT we purchased a Whirlpool WTW7000DW0 "Cabrio" top loading washer w/ electronic touch panel in May 2016. We experienced water hammer from day one. I finally had enough yesterday and knowing that the plumbing could be suffering (15 year old condo), purchased 2 Sioux Chief MiniRester, Model 660-H arresters (Lowe's at $9.99 each) and had a plumber install them today. I could have but am nursing a fractured rib. Long story short, they work perfectly. There is NO indication elsewhere in the unit that water is even entering the tub unless you're standing right beside it.

I've been told that hammer problems exist in ALL high efficiency washers, all are prone to this problem. I was also told by a Whirlpool support person that the Cabrio is a Samsung design and the pulsing of supply water off and on, over and over is 'normal operation.' If I had been informed when purchasing that hammer is a common problem, I would have installed arresters from the get-go. At the very least, manufacturers should include arresters as a part of the sale; installers should make sure that every new installation includes arresters. All told, I am out just under $200.00 for 'new technology' that really could have been engineered out in the beginning.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Whirlpool is generally considered the largest home appliance maker in the world. The company employs over a 100,000 employees, with many of them located right in the United States. The company also has a strong commitment to environmental and social causes.

• Large capacities for a variety of customers: Whirlpool washers feature large capacities, with a few washers offering more capacity than 4.3 cubic feet.
  • Corporate diversity: Whirlpool has a commitment to corporate diversity, and attempts to connect with groups like women, blacks and Asians through its various Whirlpool Action Networks.
  • Auto-dispensing feature: With select washers, consumers can fill their washer with enough detergent for 12 washes. From there, the Whirlpool washer will dispense the exact amount of detergent needed, saving time and conserving detergent.
  • Best for People who want a hassle-free washing experience, families and professionals.

Compare Washers and Dryers