Whirlpool Washing Machines
1.24/5
Based on 161 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a washer and dryer?

Whirlpool Washing Machines

Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experience
    Dissatisfied with the experience
    Satisfied with the experience
    Happy with the experience
    Would recommend to a friend
    Last updated: Feb. 23, 2018

2266 Whirlpool Washing Machines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

I went from an HE front loader to an HE top loader (Whirlpool Cabrio WTW7000DW0) due to the risk of mildew with the front loader. I'm not the only one doing laundry and if someone else does it, it always seems that they shut the door when empty, contributing to moisture and mold that needed to be cleaned out of the gaskets. I am so unhappy with my top loader HE washer. When I stop the machine and look, I always see my laundry half covered with dingy water, sometimes part of it still dry at the top and it is disgusting. I frequently have to rewash loads due to detergent getting "trapped" in folds or pockets created that hold on to dirt and lint, even being careful with the detergent amount. I run the washer now every time with settings of "deep water, extra rinse, heavy load and presoak" with instructions, with settings taped to the top for others.

At almost 1 1/2 hours each load, we just can't keep up. The laundry still forms pockets and sheets form a giant tent over the entire load that has to be unraveled at the end of the cycle and wound so tight it had no chance of rinsing. I had to get a repair person out because it got out of balance and he had a small hand-held computer to enter a code to rebalance it. When we discussed the issues I was having, he was ready for everything I was doing wrong. He told me I can not wash blankets or large items (I thought I was buying large capacity with such an enormous drum). He told me they have "caught" people adding water with a bucket during cycles and that the washer software can tell them if people are trying to work around the system which voids the warranty.

Apparently, this is a common complaint he blames on the government wanting high efficiency so they make the numbers look good, sacrificing the ability of the washer to perform at what a consumer expects. I have never seen the water in my drum higher than a couple inches and the drum is HUGE, but never used to capacity. He told me his wife demanded they get a commercial washer because she was so angry about how poorly it cleaned. I feel so scammed and I wish I could have my old agitator back. $100 for the repair call, $150 for the code to be put in and I'm on warning that they will see if I try to add water, run out of balance or don't comply with any reason they can void the warranty by just checking the data the washer is collecting on us.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

We've had this Whirlpool 5000DW1 machine since June 2017. Never fills with enough water no matter what cycle you pick! Clothes come out with DRY areas on them! Obviously not clean. Who would design a washer that you put soap in and clothes right on top of that! Seriously, how ridiculous. I will forfeit the money spend on this junk if it's possible to find something built today that cleans clothes.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

Washer Dryer Cabrio: Dryer takes 90 minutes to dry rags, washer shakes uncontrollably. The worst product on the market. Do not buy this item under any circumstance. Over twenty minutes on hold with customer service.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

Whirlpool Cabrio Washer - A total waste of money. My clothes are never clean. The low water system is rubbish. It doesn't work! Check out my pictures below. That is the result of a 63 minutes wash cycle. Don't buy this piece of crap.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

I purchased this washer (Whirpool Cabrio Model #WTW8000DW) 10-25-17 from Best Buy & now it has no power to the panel at all. The power to the outlet is fine which I can plug a hair dryer in & the hair dryer works. Tried all the reset buttons & options with nothing on the panel working as well as unplugging. Still nothing. It is barely 4 months old & I am very dissatisfied for the amount of money I paid for a high efficiency top loading washer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whirlpool?

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

Less than 1 year ago, I bought a washer and dryer. From the beginning, we have had a water problem and the water only comes cold... no warm water in the normal cycle. They came 6 times to service the machine and they cannot fix it. They said there is nothing is wrong with the machine but it does not wash with warm water in the normal wash cycle. I advise not to buy this product anymore. It is under a warranty so they should fix it or replace it. I am sick and tired of talking to them. They said if we send the service guy then I have to pay for it which is not acceptable because it is under a warranty. If anyone is thinking about buying this product, I advise not to get it and waste money on it.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

The first Front load Whirlpool washer leaked. 5 repair techs visits. Wasted days. Finally located the leak, in the main basket. Replaced washer. Second washer the clothes come out smelling like a horse blanket. Mold. Clean the washer every month still mold. Plan on junking the washer a getting a new model. Never expected this much trouble and time on a basic appliance.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

The Whirlpool Cabrio HE top load WTW7300DW1 washer calls for very short 4 second bursts of hot water as it fills. It does this on ALL temperature cycles, even cold. This is because the minimum wash temp for cold is defined as 55º by Whirlpool and in the winter, cold water is well below that temperature. Hot is on for about 4 sec then off about same time. This causes the tankless water heater to keep coming on full blast and then the flame partially dies down only to come on full blast again in a few seconds. With no water flowing during the short periods it's not demanding hot water, the TWH heat exchanger gets stinking hot and the water boils, blowing about a quart of steaming hot water out the temperature and pressure relief valve and shutting the gas down for the water heater due to tripping the ECO cut-off.

I called the dealer, they'd never heard of this problem. I called Whirlpool, they too had never heard of this. They set up an appointment with Factory Authorized service. I spoke with the local repair service company telling them I wanted a seasoned tech familiar with tankless water heaters. He called before coming out. We talked over 20 minutes as he patiently listened to my description of what's going on. He had never heard of this before either but he totally agreed with my diagnosis of the incompatibility of the crazy way this washer demands hot water and the tankless water heater. He said there was no purpose in him coming out to look at the washer because it's operating as designed.

Whirlpool should know about this. I have tried contacting them not only on the phone, but also in a Chat with customer support. They say there is nothing they can do. I asked for a way to contact engineering department and was stonewalled saying there is no way they can do that. My choices are to get rid of the washer or buy a new water heater that would be compatible with this crazy washer. That is a very expensive option especially when the whole house tankless heater is otherwise working just fine. The washer is computer controlled. Just because a computer can be programmed to ask for repeated 4 second mini-bursts of hot water doesn't mean it's a smart thing to do. Whirlpool and the dealer should have advised me of this problem.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I can't even tell you how disappointed I am. This washer has destroyed my clothes and towels. I've tried to reach out to company but they want me to call for service. What would I call for? Washer works, it just makes holes in clothes, in towels. There are so many complaints about this. If anyone know how to begin a process like this, please let me know. Trust me, when I write a review about something, it's got to be either really good or really bad. I don't have time to write things like this.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

I agree with the person who said they would rate it no stars, because this washing machine model (Whirlpool Cabrio Model No. WTW8500DC4) does not deserve one. It truly does need to go back to the engineering department. This washing machine is a replacement for another Cabrio! Short story on the first one: Installed on February 2, 2017. October 5, 2017, machine would not go. Then began a series of waiting for repair people, parts, etc. I think it was a total of four trips -- the first one to inspect, three to install parts, the last one being where the repairman took the machine totally apart in the laundry room and was here for several hours. Still would not work. On November 29, 2017 (almost two months later!), Whirlpool had one delivered by JB Hunt. Well, that wasn't so short.

This complaint is on the replacement machine. Installed on November 29, 2017. On February 3, 2017, washer said it was done. Well, it wasn't! Clothes were sopping wet, had not been spun, and the fabric softener had not released meaning, I guess, that they had not been through the rinse cycle. It gets better! Tried to start it on a "short" wash, meaning not very dirty as that is the only way to shorten the cycle. The timer showed 40-something minutes, then went to 1:36 minutes, then to 1:42. Turned it off, unplugged, let sit 15-20 minutes. Plugged in, started it back up. It went crazy! Water was pouring in the machine, then I heard a noise, looked to see what it was -- it was water coming out the bottom of the machine. Husband turned off the water spigots, didn't stop the water. I unplugged the thing from the wall; water did stop.

Water was in the laundry room, the pantry, the kitchen! Thankfully I was standing there to see what it was doing or it could have been really bad. This time I took photos and video of this thing. Technician is coming Wednesday. We'll see, won't we? Do not want another Cabrio, but what do you do if, like most people with new washer/dryers, you want a matched set?

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

Cabrio washer broken lid, asked WP to fix warranty. They offered $250 off $500 Amana washer. Said just send me the new lid that would cost me $210. They said no. Asked if they would send me metal lid with hinges less than $100 they said no. Told them I was not going to spend more money with WP, my turn to say no. If you are wise don't buy WP products...

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

This machine needs to go back to the engineering dept. There are too many engineering defects to mention. My Cabrio washer and dryer was delivered October 11th of 2017. It is just my husband and myself so laundry was scarce. I have been unhappy with the washer since the beginning and just recently decided to try and solve the problem. I contacted Whirlpool first and was told these machines have great reviews and nothing is wrong with them. When I started describing the flaws, there was one excuse after another and the person from Whirlpool blew me off.

The flaws... all begin with not cleaning which is caused by design. The water level, even with the "deep water" setting, does not even cover the amount of clothes in a small load; the agitator is so small, there is no effect on agitating the clothes; even with using a SMALL amount of HD detergent, there is always soap residue on the clothes because of the lack of water; and last issue but not final is the load going off balance. The machine will walk all over and error codes according to the repairman need to be cleared so must call if it happened again. Well, the very next load it went off balance again. I did not call because I would have the repairman living with us and I am not willing to set up a bedroom for him or feed him. So, Whirlpool does not care if their product needs redesigning, they only care about selling their product and then the consumer is on their own.

Basically the same train of thought from Best Buy where we purchased the machines. Best Buy would be happy to sell me another laundry set... per the store manager but that is all he could do. Will I purchase from Best Buy again... I think you know the answer to that. If they cannot stand behind a product they sell, then they can keep everything they sell, no more money coming from my checkbook to them ever again. Someone, whether the manufacturer or the retailer, should be willing to stand behind their product. But, no one cares. Bottomline, do not believe the ratings on the Cabrio washer. This machine has design flaws that cannot be corrected.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

Where do I begin! LEAKS on floor! Gets stuck on cycles! Doesn't empty the fabric softener! Clothes are still dirty! The clothes come out soaked (not drained) of my favorite not wet at all! This washer was the worse purchase ever. I threw money away!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

I purchased both the Cabrio washer and dryer because my dryer stopped working, it was old, and I knew that soon the washer would too, and wanted to modernize my set -- it was my mom's old set. I was thrilled to get it delivered and should have had the delivery man from Lowe's take it right back, when he told me they had just come from picking up one from another lady who was thoroughly dissatisfied with hers.

Well, it didn't take too many washings for me to understand why that lady was upset! I really wish I had done the same thing! EVERY load of dark clothes have to be wiped off to get off the disgusting wet lint that's all over the clothes! That's been going on since DAY 1! In every load, the clothes do not get completely wet and I thought I had combated that issue by having a pitcher of water always available to pour onto the load, so the sensor will add more water... That doesn't work, I now see!!! I just noticed last night lots of wet lint was on my fabric shower curtain liner, and I was thoroughly upset! I just never feel as though anything I wash gets clean. I truly wish I had come across this site BEFORE I purchased my set, and I would never have done so. Is there ANYTHING that can be done for people who have purchased these horrible appliances?

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

I purchased a Whirlpool Cabrio washer model #wtw8200yw in August 2012. I just purchased a new washer today (Jan 2018) to replace it! We have had to replace the lid lock twice, then the cycle knob would only work on the normal cycle. Last week it started to sound like it was going to take off! Had a repairman come and the bearings went out in it, will cost almost $500 to fix! Not spending another dime on this junk! I purchased a new washer today (not a Whirlpool either!)

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

I purchased my Whirlpool Cabrio Platinum set from Lowe's. All seeming good until just before the warranty ended. The top load door would no longer stay open. I called and a repair tech came out and fixed it. Less than 30 days later it broke again same as before but this time when I called the repair people they said the warranty had expired. I said I had purchased the extended warranty and that the same problem happened within 30 days of their repair. To sum it up they said the repair was not covered under the extended warranty and it was $350 to fix. Lowe's was no help. Now the washer is leaking on my floor, spin sounds awful. Less than 5 years and need to replace. WORST PURCHASE EVER!!!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

Whirlpool Cabrio WTW8500DC0 - 2 months out of warranty, 14 months old. Motherboard fried. $300 if I do it myself. $550 to have it done. The unit was $780 on sale. Brand new piece of junk. Zero stars but that's not an option. Quite honestly, it doesn't clean very well and it doesn't rinse very well so we have to rinse twice to get the smell out if we use bleach. So what's the sense in buying a high efficiency washer? I work outdoors and we've had cheap washers in the past that clean much better and lasted many years.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

I bought a Whirlpool Cabrio 1.5 years ago and it has already died. Repairman need to replace the control board which had gone out. $450.00 to replace that piece, but could not guarantee that it would be the only problem. The motor or some other issue may have caused the board. This machine was purchased at Home Depot on sale and at $450.00 to repair would be approximately 70% of the original price. It will be cheaper to buy a new one rather than fix this one. We were not happy with this machine in the first place. It leaves the clothes stained with a white powder that never rinses off. The cycle time is very long, up to an hour to wash a load. The clothes are still very wet once the cycle is finished, which of course increases the drying time. I cannot recommend Whirlpool top loaders after my experience with this machine.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

Why do I have to select a star? This product deserves none. My experience with a brand new washer has been horrible. I purchased the washer/dryer Whirlpool set from Lowe's on 7/1/17. The washer does not agitate and it makes a zooming noise for hours, I have to eventually shut it off and take my clothes to the laundromat. Technicians have come out 4-5 times to “fix” it and replace parts and it is still not working. I called Whirlpool today again and they want to send a technician out again. I told them I can't keep missing work to wait for a technician which is costing me money. But they don’t care. They should be ashamed of selling these manufacturer defected products and then simply refuse to take them back. I wasted around $1700/set on their defected washer and I hope they make it last as they will not sell another product it depends on me purchasing it.

I am livid to see how cowardly these big corporations get away with treating the little guy so poorly. But, that is ok, I'm in tears right now as I lost my hard earn money and will now have to buy a new washer/dryer set as yours simply don’t work. You just want to continue doing patchwork instead of taking the appliance back and researching what you did wrong to avoid selling these defected products to consumers. Very unfortunate. So if you are reading this review, please don’t buy their products. And big stores like Lowe's and HD should stop selling this brand. I’m more angry at the way I’ve been treated by Whirlpool. Rita the resolution specialist made it sound like it's my fault the machine won't work. Here is their # 1800-253-1301. If you want to ask any questions about their repair warranty.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I bought my Whirlpool Cabrio Washing Machine in 2010. I hate it 100%. I have never used bleach in the machine. I use liquid detergent only. 2 things happen every day: #1: When I wash a load of colors, I take them out when complete and there is dry white powder like substance over the black clothes. It looks dirty but it just got washed. #2 About once a week, I will pull something out of the washer and there is a bleach spot on it. The last item that this happened to was a $200 sweater. It went in the garbage. This should never of happened with an $800 washing machine.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

Washing Machine 5000DW1 Top Loader: This machine was purchased in June 2017, from Home Depot and it has been nothing but problems. Whirlpool has not helped, the lid locks and unlocks when not in use!!! They said it was due to my outlet first, it needed a designated circuit with nothing sharing, (after 3 service calls) so we called in an electrician and had another outlet run, that shared nothing, it's still doing it. Service call today! Service tech called Whirlpool. they suggested putting it on extension cord and see if it still does it... Huh? What is their problem? They are going against all their installation manual says.

I am wishing I never spent money on this machine. I did like the machine, and it's Whirlpool itself that I don't like anymore, they have been ridiculous! Already had the main board replaced, the locking mechanism replaced, and paid for an electrician, and here I sit, I think more people may have the same problem, but if they have a laundry room they won't hear it locking and unlocking, mine in is my kitchen... We hear it!!! They tell me to unplug it, it may be a safety issue, really? So leave it here, just unplug it? Whirlpool is not at all a good company anymore!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I had one of the first Maytag Neptunes. Loved it to pieces but finally had a problem and my beloved repair guy said it was almost 20 years old so to give up and move on. Obviously, can't be without a washer for very long so grabbed this Whirlpool Cabrio Platinum Washer. One of the biggest disappointments ever! Clothes come out streaked and splotched, don't smell very fresh or clean even straight after having been washed, stains don't come out even with pre-treating, have to run everything on "heavy duty", whites are getting grayer by the week, and all-around horrid performance.

I'm ready to give up my Starbucks, start packing my lunches for a couple months, skip whatever treats I have to in order to get back to a quality machine that can actually WASH CLOTHES. I wondered exactly what it was or wasn't doing so I stood over it for half an hour. Initially, it loads up about a gallon of water and then spits it out over the rotating drum of clothes. Then it stops and spins that water out. I suspect the design logic was that it would force that gallon of water thru the clothes taking some dirt out with it. It repeats that stupid process several times. Then it finally gets a few inches of water in the bottom and the vestigial agitator tries to move it around.

I watched one hand towel lie on top like a dead weasel, never getting pulled down or pushed out or whatever it was supposed to do to get down among the other items and squish together. Life throws me everything from sick kids spewing body fluids to people coming home reeking of hydraulic and other industrial fluids. When I say clean I mean CLEAN. This piece of junk couldn't satisfactorily process half a dozen dust rags. Neptune, I'm coming back with my hat in my hand and a whole new appreciation!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I bought a Whirlpool top load washer. In less than a month it had to be serviced by their recommended service repair. It has never worked properly. It malfunctions almost everytime it is used and takes at least an hour to wash even a small load. At first I thought I may have acquired an odd lemon. After talking with several friends who had bought the same Whirlpool model I found we all had the same complaints. My old machine could wash a king size comforter in 36 minutes... that was energy efficient.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

We have had this Whirlpool Duet WFW9150 washer for 7 years, doing 2-4 loads a week. Overall we are quite satisfied with it. A few complaints: We are on a well, and so get the odd bit of crud in the water. The machine has filters on the inlet lines, but you must pull it out from the wall to get at them. The filters are hard to remove. If something goes wrong--power blip, or sensor something, you have to restart the cycle. There is no way to continue from where you left off. There are features I wish it had: Rinse with warm or hot water, a spin only cycle, And I'm in a hurry and it isn't very dirty cycle (Shortest cycle is almost 2 hours). Whirlpool doesn't have a service center for our area. If we need repair we need to take it into town. This is inconvenient.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

Bought this Whirlpool Cabrio washing machine 4 years ago not knowing it was a low level water washing machine. A man would have had to design this piece of crap. Not only does it not clean the clothes because the agitation on it is as slow as sloth. On top of that the clothes tie themselves in a knot when finished. If you don’t want the frustration of clothes washing, I would highly recommend you not buy this type, if you enjoy cussing then this machine is for you.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

The washer never uses enough water ever. The clothes are not clean and it sucks! The clothes are half dry when agitation is going. The bulky setting doesn't clean the clothes either. I've tried every detergent on the market to see if it would help. No different results. I paid a lot of money in 2015 for this washer and I've had bad experiences ever since. No change in my water bill since I have to usually wash clothes and towels twice. I want my money back so I can buy a better washer! I'm beyond aggravated! I have looked for my receipt but it's been awhile. I did get insurance on it. I bought it at Lowe's it should be on my card they scan.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017

1.0 out of 5. This is the absolute worst washer that I have ever owned. Do NOT fall for the top loader hype. The clothes do not get clean. Anything black constantly comes out with a white residue and whites are dingy. I've tried numerous detergents and used as little as a tablespoon and still get the same results. The company just insists that it's too much detergent or that I need to run the "clean cycle" after every 4-5 loads. The service guy that came out said this is the number 1 complaint with these washers and I've talked to plenty of friends that experience the same issue. The company would have you think this is the first time they have heard of it.

I have spent hours on the phone with whirlpool and Home Depot over the past year and neither accept responsibility or offer any solution other than some free cleaning tablets from Whirlpool and Home Depot offered $200 off the purchase of another washer. This was when the washer was only 6 months old. The only way around this is to rewash the clothes and a second cycle and to wash all loads on bulk load with an extra rinse. Yep. Great water savings there! Save yourself the headache and don't buy a top loader of any brand and I would never buy another appliance of any kind from Whirlpool and Home Depot because of their poor customer service in handling this common issue.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I purchased a washer 6 months ago and it was starting by itself so I called to get a technician out and it took them 3 days to tell me that they did not service in our area. Long story short I was out of a washer for 2 weeks talking back & forth with Whirlpool which was absolutely a nightmare. Kept me on hold forever and hung up on me several times so they didn't have to deal with the situation. Absolutely no customer service at all. When it came down to it they were going to issue me a new washing machine and I had to go to the store to get it and when I got to the store they told me I had a $415.00 credit to spend. That's less than what I had paid for the washing machine and then I am having to spend an extra $200.00 out of pocket to get another washing machine.

My warning to you is not to purchase any Whirlpool appliances unless you want to go thru pure hell. These people do not care about anyone after the product is sold. Their customer service sucks, their appliances suck and Whirlpool just sucks all the way around!! Worst experience I have ever had and I hope they never sell another appliance again!!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

Bought in 2009 brand new set washer and dryer together at Best Buy. The washing machine in 2011 started its never ending problems. I’ve paid for parts & labor for the door lock sensor mechanism multiple times where I learned to repair that myself even buying parts and installing on my own last time... Then a drain pump went bad. Replaced that. Now a code f51 sensor to a motor rotor not spinning issue. Horrible. All the money and time in this unreliable machine is so awful. This thing also isn’t that great when it works too. Goes unlevel way too much having to redistribute and restart cycles all the time... Wish it washed better for the price and all the trouble. It is the worst machine. Has to be! Everyone I know can’t believe the fight I’ve had through the years with this machine. The company doesn't help you. Costly headache Junk machine!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

I used the Whirlpool website contact form, and described an issue I have with the Cabrio washing machine. When the form is submitted, it states that the company will respond in three business days. Two weeks later, after no response, I submitted a second contact form. It has been five days, and I still have not received a response.

Whirlpool expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Whirlpool is generally considered the largest home appliance maker in the world. The company employs over a 100,000 employees, with many of them located right in the United States. The company also has a strong commitment to environmental and social causes.

• Large capacities for a variety of customers: Whirlpool washers feature large capacities, with a few washers offering more capacity than 4.3 cubic feet.

• Corporate diversity: Whirlpool has a commitment to corporate diversity, and attempts to connect with groups like women, blacks and Asians through its various Whirlpool Action Networks.

• Auto-dispensing feature: With select washers, consumers can fill their washer with enough detergent for 12 washes. From there, the Whirlpool washer will dispense the exact amount of detergent needed, saving time and conserving detergent.

• Best for: People who want a hassle-free washing experience, families and professionals.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

www.whirlpool.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use