Whirlpool Washing Machines
1.12/5

Need a washer and dryer?

Whirlpool Washing Machines

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

2366 Whirlpool Washing Machines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

So we purchased a Whirlpool Cabrio in August of 2017 and it broke down when it was still within factory warranty. Whirlpool covered the costs of the repairs but I dealt with it being down for over 6 weeks before getting fixed. I have a very large family of 11 children with 10 still living in the house so the wash machine runs nonstop. After spending $200 at the laundromat for a couple weeks I went out and bought another wash machine. Once the wash machine was repaired and I started getting some faith in it again I sold the other wash machine. Granted I’m still paying on the credit card that I purchased that wash machine with because I didn’t get enough out of it but I didn’t want to keep a spare wash machine around the house.

2 months later the Whirlpool wash machine breaks down again. This wash machine has had a new touch panel installed, control board, lid lock, and drain pump yet it still keeps breaking down and when I speak with Whirlpool I’m not getting any voice of concern. I don’t recommend ever purchasing Whirlpool wash machines and purchasing the extended warranty is nothing but a joke unless you are ok with it being broke down months at a time. Which in my lifestyle with the size of family I have this is ridiculous with the service I’m receiving.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

The machine was working good till the period of warranty that is of approximately two years. As soon as the warranty expired the machine started giving problems. We then called a person from their company to repair the machine which costed us 10000 rupees after which the person who repaired told us it's just like a new one and we would not face any difficulties for two years. But we are having problem again after 4 months and the new repairer says we need to pay more. 4000 rupees. We could have a bought a new one with so much money. It was really a bad experience. Please do not buy anything from this company.

Get expert buying tips about Washers and Dryers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

We bought a new Whirlpool washer/dryer 6 months ago. Dryer is ok, seems to take a long time to dry. Washer is horrible. It constantly goes off balance and shakes all over the floor. Once opened, the clothing may be a little off, but not enough to cause such commotion. SO FRUSTRATING! If we could afford to replace these, they would be out on the curb today!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I bought a new top loader Whirlpool washing machine. Water would not drain enough so that the clothes could be dried in the dryer. It does not have the thing in the middle that you put your clothes around. My clothes get tangled together all the time. A repair person came and said that I needed to load the clothes in a different way. Different from what the salesperson told me. Still tangled and still not dry enough to put in the dryer. I have to use the drain spin cycle every time!!! My dryer still takes 120 minutes to dry a load!!! Second repairman comes and tells me I need a new computer system and I will have to use the laundromat. A month later they tell me they cannot get the computer and will replace the machine which is still brand new. Bring new machine and my clothes still will no spin enough so that they are dry enough to put in the dryer!! So sick of this and will never buy another Whirlpool product again!!!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

The services and product (washing m-c) is not up to the mark. Customer care never respond you well. Lack of professionalism and don't know how to deal with customers. Please don't spend your hard earned money for 3rd class product or else you feel like cheat.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whirlpool?

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I will be happy to provide exact details soon but wanted to share I have had most of our clothes and household items-sheets, rugs, towels etc. ruined by this machine. And it is under warranty and Lowe's in Dallas, Texas where I purchased it has seen the evidence. I rolled in with a suitcase full of different examples of ruined items and some photos. The repair person Whirlpool sent out was nice but not willing to document clothes and said the machine is fine after a few diagnostics digital checks. He did not run a load of clothes! And it takes forever to set up. My wait was over 3 weeks. etc. Lowe's has been incredibly wonderful but states the warranty is Whirlpool's decision and all Lowe's needs is a RA (return authorization from Whirlpool) and Lowe's is happy for me to buy whatever ever washer I like and even are willing to give me a discount as they know how horribly Whirlpool has treated me.

The manager stayed on speaker phone with me for over an hour. My husband is a lawyer and I will further pursue this situation as Whirlpool hopes I will just drop it by March when my Whirlpool warranty runs out or give up from protocol internal exhaustion. As they have insulted me in every way... Even suggesting I sell the defective machine to someone else... And I said, "How in good faith and having a conscience could I do that?" Anyway after spending a lifetime it seems trying my best to get this resolved with a cauliflower ear from being on the phone for so many hours with their resolution leaders and specialists etc.

It is obvious I am about to have to go on social media and do everything I can to Save others from this time waster, Save their laundry, etc. and Did I mention at times it leaks a little bit of water out the front. As it was the least of my worries as I was showing nice tech my expensive ruined 900.00 ski pants, ruined shirts etc. I think the machine cost around a 1,000 to 1,200 so... Will get back to you for an update. I have a whole file folder on documentation now and it is not about the money or the fact I cannot wash clothes. It is down to principle... On my third top-level resolution leader in MI. -Jim- basically had me "read between the lines" that I was dealing with a Fortune 500 company and would never win.

He is underestimating the level of frustration and lengths I will go to not be taken advantage of as a woman, a career girl, a wife and a yoga teacher. I will be in Yoga warrior mode and this is disheartening as all I want to do is wash my clothes. Did I mention all my Lulu Lemon pants are ruined and I never put them in the dryer! Only delicate cold etc. Have them remain intact etc. really simple here but Whirlpool not standing by their warranties. And my whole home is outfitted with Jen-air, Kitchen-Aid, Maytag etc. which are all owned by the same company so I have been a very loyal customer who possibly just got a lemon. Or standards at the company have severely changed. More later on developments hopefully. Sad in Dallas.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Don't even consider a Cabrio top loading washer. Wastes your time, money and insults your intelligence. I never use the deep water cycle but boy the machine does! I've had loads that have taken hours to finish on the quick setting! Thanks Whirlpool.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

The Whirlpool Cabrio washer with medium load on bulk wash setting in sensing mode full water/detergent caught fire & filled house with smoke before able to shut down. After event was able to drain & hand ring out load. I will not be repairing washer - junk three strikes & out (2 earlier repairs). “Safety Hazard”!

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

We did our research and wanted to buy a new washer and dryer with a trusted brand that would last. Our previous washer and dryer (different brand) lasted almost 20 years. Our new Whirlpool Duet HE Front Load washer only lasted about 2 years. The washer started making a terribly loud noise when spinning. We had a repair guy come out to evaluate the problem and provide an estimate for repairs. He said the drum, bearings, and truing was all one unit and the repairs would cost more than the washer. The factory warranty is only a year. BIG disappointment in Whirlpool.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

Don’t ever buy Whirlpool smaller (apartment) size front loader washer and dryer - from Home Depot or anywhere else. Beware of rules in warranty plans. I am very dissatisfied with them. I have had several service calls.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

I bought a brand new Whirlpool washer and dryer. The Whirlpool Cabrio washer does not clean my clothes no matter what size load you have. I have tried every combination possible to get my clothes clean and 95% of the time there are clothes that don’t even get wet let alone clean! I have only owned this washer since July 22, 2018 and am now willing to give it away - that’s how upset and displeased I am with it! If you read reviews, stay away from this model - not good!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

We have had this washer for a little over three years. We are a family of 2 so it gets only light use. The agitator stopped working and the repair was going to be $370! The repair person suggested we contact the manufacturer but they refused to even pay a portion of the repair. Goodbye Whirlpool! And yes, it left white streaks on our clothes as well.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I am on my second Cabrio. The first one only lasted a few years, but I stayed with the Cabrio line because I didn't want to replace the dryer. That was my first mistake. The second Cabrio washer constantly leaves a white residue on dark clothing. I used an HE detergent, reduced the detergent and put the dark clothes through an extra rinse and still find residue that has to be scraped off. I called Whirlpool on Dec. 19th, 2018 to complain about this and was told there was no history reported of this kind of problem. Then I went on the ConsumerAffairs website to learn that many others have the same residue issue, among many other products. I will not ever purchase a Whirlpool machine of any kind again.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I purchased top load washer and dryer from Lowe's last week. When I was washing clothes the first time 12/4/18 (the day Lowe's delivered) I washed in quick wash setting, machine was showing me all stages of the wash on the progress lights. It took about one hour for one load. Today 12/11/18 I spoke to your customer service associates Trina regarding the issue with my top load washer wed4815ew1 serial m82572023. I was told a technician is schedule for repair tomorrow. I try to quick wash two loads, washer progress light only went to wash mode only.

I had to press start/pause, select drain and spin to remove excess water. I started 8:30 am and finish around 1 pm. I was waiting for the cycle to finish, twice all progress stages light went blank. I have no idea when it will be done. Machine made noise, not spinning, no water in it. The dryer wtw4816fw2 serial c84621285, I dry at energy prefer setting, when the clothes was dry, dryer continue without the buzzing signal to stop. I had to keep watch of the time and turn it off manually so it not energy efficient when I have to monitor when clothes will be dry.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Terrible wash machine. Some clothes come out having never even gotten wet. The spin cycle ties your clothes in knots so bad you have to machine dry them because the wrinkles are ridiculous. I’m all for saving water but if your clothes don’t get wet, how are they going to get clean? Also can’t do just a rinse and spin cycle. I would rate zero stars if I could. Don’t waste your money on this junk! Wish I could buy an old fashioned Maytag. Those washers were the best!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I bought what I thought was a great washing machine. It is a top loading Cabrio from Whirlpool. The machine leaves white residue on all my dark clothing. It is a disaster. I am following washing instructions exactly, using HE detergent, loading the right amount, I even tried using PODS. I tried different temperature water, different cycles of washing and spinning and the same thing happens. I had an old Maytag that broke that cleaned beautifully. This thing is a piece of garbage and I would love to send it back if they would let me. DO NOT BUY IT. I AM BEGGING YOU, YOU WILL BE VERY UPSET.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

Piece of crap! Approximately 18 months of aggravation. Clothes don’t come clean, leaves residue on them. Just absolutely the worst experience I have had in six plus decades of doing laundry. When next I get a washer...it won’t be a Whirlpool or anything made by the company. There should be recalls on these washers.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

I will keep this brief because many of our issues on our 18-month-old washer are in other reviews. The anger I feel towards Whirlpool Customer Service and the logic they use in providing repairs on a “goodwill” basis are unbelievable. After a Whirlpool certified appliance repair person diagnosed our fairly new washer as requiring the entire guts to be replaced... transmission, bucket, etc., we were told the repair bill would be over $1,300! Are you kidding me... the washer only cost in the mid $500 range, and now Whirlpool is going to do us a big favor and cover that outrageous bill!

I told the customer service supervisor to please give us a new washer and take away our broken washer and use it for parts (if there any good parts left in this miserable machine). His reply “that's not going to happen”. He used this phrase to us at least 20 times during our service call until I finally told him I thought his attitude was aggressive and demeaning. I refuse to be bullied by a major manufacturer for a substandard product.

I can only warn you when considering Whirlpool (and every major appliance in our two homes are Whirlpool) that you should use due diligence in your selection. We paid extra to upgrade all our Whirlpool appliances in our homes and I will never make that mistake again. And don’t get me started on the white film that covers my dark clothes. They say I use too much detergent... not true. I am not stupid and understand the HE requirement to cut way back on soap.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

The machine cleans clothes okay but constantly gets out of balance and sometimes it take all day to complete an entire cycle. It is very frustrating to rearrange clothes, restart the washer, and then wonder how many times it is going to take. It is especially time consuming to wash a large item like a bedspread, not to mention the waste of water. I can expect to reset at least 3 times. The machine is less than a year old. I think it is a design flaw or else I just have a lemon.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

This washing machine (Whirlpool Cabrio) is the worst piece of machinery I have ever purchased. We have had to make numerous expensive repairs and now it's broken again. Rather than pay $400.00 to repair it yet again we have decided to buy a new one. Definitely not a Whirlpool.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Would not give Whirlpool a star. Well what can I say about both the product and Whirlpool. The product arrive on the 12th October this year and failed within 32 days of arriving - drain pump and control panel. Bought from AO, who have been brilliant and reimbursed me £40 for the inconvenience. Whirlpool through Domestic and General visited on the 23rd November, 1 week after the appliance failed. Had to order replacement parts, not sure on the guarantee the replacement parts will not fail as well.

I was told it would be over a week for the parts to arrive, now told 2 weeks. Rang Whirlpool on the 26th November around 3pm. Was told by the help service from Peterborough Office he would recommend a replacement (told me a record of the recommendation would be put on my account) and would call back in 4 hours to confirm. Well as expected Whirlpool never got back, rang the next day, no record of the call and would not replace the machine. This is my first experience of a Whirlpool product and would not buy another one again. Once paid in full, will sell it and buy Samsung or Bosch but never Whirlpool. Poor product reliability, no confidence that the replacement part will not fail. Worst customer service, no feel. They do not value their customers. Customer does not come first. What a shame.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I have been buying Whirlpool appliances most of my married life. Our most recent washing purchase is the worst machine I ever owned. I have ruined more clothes, rugs, sheets and towels, etc. than I ever have in my 45 years of doing my own laundry. In fact, I do not EVER remember a washing machine destroying any of my articles. I just pulled 2 almost new rugs out of the washer only to find they have been destroyed! I am pretty sure it is the extremely fast spin cycle that is destroying my items. I know it can't be the agitator because it doesn't move fast enough to even clean the clothes. And the stupid load sensor is absolutely worthless! It does not dispense enough water to even cover the clothes let alone clean them. Go back to the old machines that did their job without destroying anything and actually cleaned the clothes with an amount of water that I chose. I ABSOLUTELY HATE this machine.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I have had my Cabrio set for two years only and the washer has a error code of F6 and E3... pretty much does not work properly and need to swap out main control board which is about 200-300 for the part. I’m very disappointed in this product for as much I have spent on it. My old school top loader lasted longer than this piece of junk! I believe the steam from the wash is going up into the control board and messing it all up! Water and electricity does not mix! Maybe they need to relook at their products. I want my money back!!!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Purchased this washer 5 months ago. Have had service 3 times as dark clothes come out with white residue. I have done everything possible to correct the problem. They recommended from cleaning the machine, using less detergent, minimizing the load, using extra rinse, deep water and still the clothes come out with the residue. And it takes way too long to wash a batch of clothes. This is a known problem with this model. Repair company recommended a replacement and Whirlpool insists that it is a usage problem. One thing they said Could be water is too cold, I live in Florida there is no cold water! Whirlpool refuses to replace it. DON'T BUY IT!!!

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I have purchased Whirlpool washing machine from A.K. Gandhi, Nagpur Vide. Invoice no. ** (JAYANT **-PURCHASER). Item detail - (LLP2187) WPL W/M STAINWASH DEEP CLEAN 65-GREY 10YMW 3110601162712159, Nagpur on 5th Sept 2016, since two days it was making noise, so I called service centre on 22nd Oct 2018 and he attended same, accordingly him gearbox has problem and needs to replace for which expenses would be around Rs. 6000. It's very surprised how can machine develop such big problems within two years of use. I have paid him Rs. 350 as service charge. Serviceman mobile no. **. You are requested to do needful and arrange to replace faulty part within early period as fault lies with company. How can company supply such machine, which develops problem within two years. This machine is in extended warranty period.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I have read most of the reviews and it seems like I have ALL those problems with my Whirlpool Cabrio, but I also need to add that there is rust around the bleach dispenser and I DON'T use bleach. The inside is also rusted, but it's not visible until you take a good look inside because it's under the white paint but it's all around the inside. So I had to stop using the machine because I now realize what was the cause of the damage done to some of our clothes. We all need to get our money back and have this washing machine picked up and thrown away!!!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

Purchased a Whirpool Cabrio washer. We bought this on sale at a Lowe's and paid half the original price. Get it delivered and set up no issues. After about a week of washing clothes, there is a God awful smell coming from the washer because the water does not drain completely! I have used refresh washer cleaner to try and get it to go away. Most of the time there is no smell, but about once every other week, the smell is so bad it permeates through my home and makes it smell of rotten garbage. I do not recommend this washer.

The cycle times jump around from the original time it tells you and the smell is just so bad. The little tray where you put liquid detergent doesn't even have a way to drain the detergent into the laundry properly and after every wash I have to dump the tray out because it stays filled with water where the water comes in and causes the detergent to rise out of the tiny hole on top. You might as well just add the detergent directly onto your clothes. I use an excellent brand of detergent that has top reviews and my clothes still don't come out smelling good from this washer. I have tried other detergents too to make sure it wasn't that one. I wish my hubby and I would've never paid for this thing and gone with a different one.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

I just purchased this washer Whirlpool Cabrio. I'm experiencing the worst with it because it seems to take forever for it to wash. I came to look at reviews to see if other people were having problems like me. My issue is when I put it on quick wash it seems to say 41min then to 56min then goes down again and up again. I feel like it's using more water as many times I hear it filling and washing. I didn't see anyone complain on that part but for the price it's a big headache and upsetting because I spent that much thinking you get what you pay but I rather have the old washer I had than this. If anyone has had this issue please let me know and was it an ongoing thing. Not sure if you can comment back to reviews but shame on them to see all these unhappy people and not trying to make things better for them. I wish I read reviews before getting it. Yes it looks good on the outside but is crap.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I bought the Whirlpool Cabrio washer and dryer combo with max load capacity for comforters. This is the biggest set of junk ever. Where to start? There are so many issues, starting with the fact that nothing comes clean, no matter if I even put one small item in it at a time! The fabric softener dispenser is a joke. It runs straight through into your unwashed clothes before the cycle even begins. The dryer never gets the clothes dry on the first cycle. I find that I will rewash the same load of laundry 2 or 3 times and still not be clean and then dry same load 2 or 3 times. I wish Whirlpool had these shoved up their **! Never again will I buy anything by Whirlpool!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I purchased a Whirlpool wash machine and dryer from Home Depot 3 years ago. From the outset we had problems with both units. Wash machine spin cycle does not work properly, and that causes a problem with getting clothes dry. Some soiled clothes will not clean properly and have to be hand washed. Dryer rarely works on one cycle, towels and bed sheets have to be run through a second cycle. These are NOT energy savers. Garbage product, I will never buy Whirlpool again.

Whirlpool expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Whirlpool is generally considered the largest home appliance maker in the world. The company employs over a 100,000 employees, with many of them located right in the United States. The company also has a strong commitment to environmental and social causes.

• Large capacities for a variety of customers: Whirlpool washers feature large capacities, with a few washers offering more capacity than 4.3 cubic feet.

• Corporate diversity: Whirlpool has a commitment to corporate diversity, and attempts to connect with groups like women, blacks and Asians through its various Whirlpool Action Networks.

• Auto-dispensing feature: With select washers, consumers can fill their washer with enough detergent for 12 washes. From there, the Whirlpool washer will dispense the exact amount of detergent needed, saving time and conserving detergent.

• Best for: People who want a hassle-free washing experience, families and professionals.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs