Whirlpool Washing Machines
1.26/5
Based on 148 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a washer and dryer?

Whirlpool Washing Machines

Last updated: April 22, 2018

2294 Whirlpool Washing Machines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: April 22, 2018

I have purchased full automatic machine of Whirlpool on 15 April 2018. From that we are taking follow ups from their service center on installation and demo. But they are responding in worst way I have ever seen in my life. They don't even value the customer as whenever we call them again to know status for serviceman they had ask about to wait next two hours, then again next 2 hours. Through this way they had taken our whole day. I will recommend not to purchase any product of Whirlpool as they treat customer in worst way.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I have purchased a Whirlpool Washing Machine Mode W/P WM ROY 6212SD(31089) Sl.No.INF 153400517) GRAY/CHR TN 6.5 on 05.12.2015 with two years warranty on complete washing machine. The warranty period over on 04.12.2017. Exactly after over 3 months the machine start giving noise and we had been in touch Whirlpool and registered the complaint during last week of March 2018 and their local service center people visited, charged Rs.500/- service charge and informed that the machine to be taken to their service center to ascertain the complaint.

After over a week informed that the machine complaints of Tub Support, Seal, Bearing, Drive etc. and the estimate is Rs.5,900/- including transportation (hardly 6 kms). The machine cost was only Rs.16,900/- then. I am surprised to know that just after 3 months of expiration of warranty the machine went wrong and the cost or repair costs me Rs.5,900/- is very huge. I hope the concerned will examine this.

Get expert buying tips about Washers and Dryers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 18, 2018

This washer was expensive, platinum line. Clothes never smelled fresh and clean like they should. There is not enough water to cover and clean. After 4 years it started smelling dank and unpleasant even after cleaning cycle is run. Now I discover it has been leaking for quite a while. It will be 6 years old in July. The top won't stay up. This happened months ago. The part alone is 250.00 according to several sites. I just prop it up. Very displeased with this poorly constructed, expensive rip off!

Original review: April 15, 2018

I am in the process of replacing the bottom seal on my 6-year-old Whirlpool Cabrio (WTW5500XW2) washer. This will be the fourth major repair I have done on it. Fortunately, I can do the work myself and know how to find the best price on parts, but it is still discouraging that a lightly-used washer would have so many problems in such as short time. (It replaced a 20-year-old Maytag that finally rusted out.) Repairs to date: 1) replaced drain pump motor; 2) replaced lid switch; 3) removed basket twice to clean outer tub, due to mold and odors; 4) replaced suspension rods due to excessive spin vibration; 5) out of commission awaiting a new bottom seal. Total cost of parts (labor was on me) is well over $100.

Original review: April 15, 2018

Worst washing machine ever, I should’ve kept my 12-year-old washer that leaked, it worked better and actually washed my clothes... This washer, the Cabrio 5.3 leaves clothes DIRTY, can’t use fabric softener because it doesn’t wash it out even with the extra rinse and deep water wash, leaves white ** on everything!!! I have to wash everything TWICE! I hate this washer! I hate Whirlpool! Piece of **, I want my money back or I want a different washer that actually works as it should! Wasted money on this piece of **! BUYER BEWARE. DO NOT BUY!!! Bought from Best Buy and boy did they sell it to me, told me it was the best washer out and will save me money! SMH.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whirlpool?

Original review: April 11, 2018

Bought it less than 2 months ago. It doesn't wash. It doesn't spend. It works every 2-3 hours if I'm lucky. It's the worst product ever. It's not like it was refurbished. It was brand new. Smh. I thought it would save me money by buying a washer. Off to the laundromat I go. I do not recommend this product especially to someone who has a family and on a budget.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I bought this Whirlpool Cabrio Top Load Washing Machine in December and have hated it ever since. The energy efficiency this item claims means that you will spend a ridiculous amount of time waiting for your load to finish. My family hates this machine and I regularly have to hear about how long the load is taking because the timer adjusts continually. Put in a "QUICK" load and it said 38 minutes, came back in 30 and it said 24 minutes. It is so frustrating!!! We are afraid to put anything on a heavy soil setting or anything other than quick, because it can take 2-3 hours to complete. I have to schedule a day to wash my bedding and there isn't any convenience in doing a quick load. I am going to have to sell this one and purchase another washer. What a loss!! This machine has been a time and money waster! I will NEVER BUY WHIRLPOOL again!!! I bought this machine through Best Buy.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I bought this Cabrio Washing Machine just over a year ago and it never drained water when I was doing towels and bed sheets. Life got in the way, and I managed to run smaller loads in the regular settings. Now, the machine is just over a year old and it will not spin unless I put it on the rinse and spin issue. It takes well over 2 hours to wash a load of laundry. From looking at other reviews, this is a big problem. I would not recommend this washer to anyone. It cost a ton of money and was the worst washing machine I have ever used.

Original review: April 8, 2018

I absolutely hate this washing machine. When I bought it a couple of years ago I thought it would be great for large items... NOT! It leaves white residue on dark colors but the MOST important issue is going off balance. The lid stays locked and you have to start the cycle from the beginning... What a waste!!! Never again will I get a Whirlpool.

Original review: April 8, 2018

I am making my last payment on this junk ass washer and I can't wait to leave this one at the curb! Like the other reviewers...this machine leaves white deodorant on dark shirts, sheet sets either constantly off balance or parts of them still dry after wash cycle is finished! I changed detergents several times thinking that was the issue...but the bottom line is the "sell" of having no agitator and "water saving" features leave you with dirty clothes and off balance crazy shaking nonsense! DO NOT BUY THIS MACHINE!

Original review: April 5, 2018

I bought the Cabrio Whirlpool washer and dryer thinking Whirlpool was the best! Wrong! Worst washer and dryer ever! Washer doesn't get clothes clean! Leaves white residue on dark clothes! Can't put over two blankets in large tub because it gets off balanced! It won't spin water out of delicate clothes done on quick cycle! Doesn't put enough water in to wash anything! Dryer wrinkles clothes so bad I have to iron! Paid $1,200 each! So noisy you can't stay in the house when you are washing! So disappointed I will never buy Whirlpool again!!!

Original review: April 4, 2018

Purchased Whirlpool washing machine two years ago but transformed into junk within two years. Fraud company only searching ways to loot the money of the innocent customers and manufacturing such appliances which greasing mentally.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I purchased this monster in 2012 and after six years of enduring not enough water to actually wash the clothes for years, now the bearings have gone out making it sound like a jet engine is in my family room when it spins. After researching the bearing issue, I find it will cost $250 to $300 to have them replaced. It's also a common problem in this model even when the washer isn't at all worn out and old. That combined with the fact that my clothes don't smell clean and some blankets come out not even wet at all, I'm done. I won't ever buy a water efficient washer again. Churning the dirty underwear around with a few cups of water isn't acceptable. NOTE: The bearings left months after the extended warranty expired. Just like clockwork. I purchased a much cheaper - center agitator - washer with a "deep water" option available. It was half the price of this top of the line Whirlpool Cabrio Washer.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I too expected a whole lot more for the price I paid for Whirlpool WTW5000DW1 HE washer top load. Fuzz, grass, pet hair and food remain after washing. Had a repairman out to look at it. There is nothing wrong with it. He says they do not use much water to save money. Well, if I a have to wash everything at least twice am I saving money? Think. Will look into an old fashioned washboard next time. Frankly I think it is a scam. The HE Tide is more concentrated and my clothes do not come clean! Tried to get my money back from the company that sold it to me and I was told only if I were to buy the $900 Speed Queen. Someone’s making a lot of money from consumers who need washing machines.

Original review: March 30, 2018

I bought the Whirlpool Cabrio 5.3 cubic foot washing machine to replace a Samsung equivalent machine. I am so extremely disappointed with it. As a mother of nine (seven of them boys) I need a quality machine. Unfortunately this is not one. The clothes come out of the machine just as dirty as they went in. The pants still have dirt on the knees. I think a rinse in the sink would yield better results. I use the highest soil setting, warmest water fabric will allow, and exclusively Tide detergent. I only fill the tub with half a load (completely voiding the value of large capacity) and yet still have to run clothes through twice.

I really don’t have time for this. All the kids' clothes have to be inspected before drying. I wish I could go back in time and keep my Samsung which was recalled. I would rather take the risk of an exploding machine than deal with this one any longer. Unfortunately, after spending over $1000 on the washer (and buying the matching dryer) I’m stuck with this useless machine. I hope others don’t make the same mistake I did.

Original review: March 29, 2018

I have hated this Cabrio washer and dryer set since the day they were delivered brand new by Best Buy a couple of years ago. The washer does not clean well, often does not spin dry, and leaves some clothes dry after a full "wash" cycle!!! I have to wash small loads on the deep water cycle to even have a chance at cleaning the clothes. The clothes are so dreadfully compacted and tangled that it takes great effort to birth them out of the washer, unfurl them, shake them, and put them into the next torture machine- the dryer. It is as if Whirlpool intended to build a machine to twist clothing so tight that it requires a bodybuilder to untangle the clothing. Then the items are so incredibly crumpled that ironing has found its way back into my already busy life. Ironing is a massive challenge to the degree of wrinkles in the clothing. The slanted tops are icing on the cake. Can't even pull the clothes out of the dryer to the top of it because they slide right off. Cool.

Original review: March 27, 2018

Lu ** is a mgr. at Whirlpool customer service. Shame on you for the way you spoke to me. Then giving me a joke # to call... Karma sucks is all I'll say to you. I have to wait on the phone to speak to anyone is over 30 mins. Just to get pushed off to the side like I don't matter. I'm trying to get help to have mine looked at to pass the time for another Whirlpool to come to me! Mind you mine didn't last 4 yrs. Yes I was trying to buy another Whirlpool but after this sloppy customer service. You don't need this stress... Stressful enough that these washers don't last anymore. Ya GE AND MAYTAG ARE LOOKING BETTER AND BETTER.

Original review: March 25, 2018

I hate hate hate this Whirlpool Washer WTW5000DW1! To put it nicely. This is my first washer without traditional agitator and the sensing feature. I will never again buy a High Efficiency Washer with these features. It constantly gets stuck on sensing! We rearrange the load over and over and it still does not want to work. I have researched the online videos and this is a common problem. I wish I had researched prior to buying this type of machine.

Original review: March 22, 2018

Model CAE2745FQ0, Serial #C72680766 - Purchased this coin op clothes washer 2/2/2018 at Brandsmart, Deerfield Beach FL. Would not empty or spin correctly; 1st service call 2/28/2018. (Less than 30 days from purchase date). 3/21/2018 called Whirlpool again as same problem continues (as listed above). Washer is not being overloaded. Whirlpool repair visit scheduled again for 3/23/2018. This is the 2nd repair time since we purchased the washer on 2/28/2018.

Purchased the same model 2 years ago, and experienced repeated problems to the point where we got rid of that machine and purchased the most current model referenced here. We are looking for a full refund of the purchase price as it appears that this recently purchased machine is on its way to be a repeat performance of the 1st machine that we got rid of (that was purchased 2 years ago). Again, we want the full purchase price refunded, which is $900.88. This machine is not even 2 months old. Thank you.

Original review: March 16, 2018

I purchased a Whirlpool (Cabrio) Washer on March 1 2018. I previously had a Roper top loader with an agitator that was 22 years old. I used that washer for that many years and washed clothes 6 out of the 7 days of the week. Probably at least 20 loads a week. I never had a problem with it getting my clothes wet & clean. It never left them dirtier after washing them than they were before washing them. I am so disappointed in this washer!!! I can see it will not do any good to complain to Whirlpool because apparently they don't care about their customers. They think they're products are perfect when they are far from it.

I plainly told the associate I wash clothes every day. Really dirt clothes. (My son is a mechanic). I need a good washer. I can wash them by hand better than this washer does. I am very thankful I have not paid the full price for this washer yet. I will be calling them to come pick it up when my next payment is due. I will be going to one of the local consignment or thrift stores and purchasing myself an old timey top loader washer with an agitator for $100 or less. Whirlpool I had high hopes with this product and would have been buying a dryer to match soon but I believe I will stick to my Roper products or anything other than Whirlpool.

Original review: March 15, 2018

I purchased a washer and dryer set, the Cabrio Platinum Series WTW8500BRO, about 3 years ago. I had a UL code come up a year ago and the machine was serviced and all was back to normal. Then only 9 months later it started acting up again. This time it sounds like an airplane taking off and there is a black spatter leaking from underneath, also the lid lock stopped engaging. I started to look up the error code for the lid lock and while reviewing that issue it was an easy fix, however, the noise and black spatter issue led me to tons of horrible reviews about this product. It is a bearing/tub/shaft issue that is going to cost me $500 to fix.

First off I did not pay cash for this set, I rented it for 3 years and paid twice what it’s worth, around $4,000. Stupid on my part but I couldn’t afford it the other way. Weekly payments were easier. Now I am scared to fix this product because of all the reviews I’ve seen from other consumers. I haven’t had the other issues like dirty clothes, not enough water, high cycle times because they all start with a high number but after it configured the load the time shrinks, but this major issue about the bearings, they say I have to replace the entire tub assembly which is half the cost of the unit. So stupid and I cannot believe Whirlpool is getting away with this crap. Please please please inform me about any lawsuits. I will gladly participate in that. They should be held accountable for such a worthless piece of junk. Like I said I am now afraid to fix this machine because from what I’m reading, more than likely it will only last a short time.

Original review: March 11, 2018

Sounding like a broken record, this washer is such a disappointment! I had high hopes for this top loader and thought I did enough research. Bought a Cabrio in Oct 2016 and have never liked it. They will have you believe it’s your fault... the wrinkly clothes, the clothes not clean enough, the white marks over all your clothes... you can’t change your detergent or softener enough and change the amount enough... it will still be there. So disappointed??? Want my front loader back!

Original review: March 5, 2018

I purchased a Whirlpool Washing Machine in November, 2015 and today, I had a repair person out who said the bearing had ruptured and the washing machine cannot be repaired - 2 1/2 years later. Contacted Whirlpool Customer Service who would do nothing other than try to explain to me that I should have purchased an extended warranty as they could not stand behind the machine past the one year. Would not even offer sending a tech out on their dime to confirm what my repairman had said that this is a failed production process of these machines - it was nothing that I had done caused this issue. But yet they wanted to sell me another machine. It will be a cold day before I purchase another Whirlpool product.

I was shocked at the lack of customer service to assist with a situation that both the location I purchased it from and my own repair tech said that they are seeing so often with these machines. I would never purchase another item from Whirlpool again nor would I recommend any of their items. I will go to great lengths to give others the background on how Whirlpool will not stand behind their products, lack of customer service to resolve a situation or can work outside of what is given to them to correct a situation - this is not OK!

Original review: March 5, 2018

In 2015 door of top loading washer (Whirlpool Cabrio Washer) needed total replacement. Lucky I had an extended warranty. 2018 March, extended warranty expired and now have the exact same problem. Pretty crummy product if major part like a door has to be replaced every 3-4 years. We do not wash large items like blankets/quilts in this machine. That goes to a laundromat where there are oversized machines or to a dry cleaner. So the only reason for this breakage is a default in the lid assembly.

There is only one phone number for customer service, repair, parts etc. Put in my service call and filed a complaint at same time hoping for at least a small discount. Ha! $100 plus tax for service call- part price ranges from $150-230 plus tax. Whirlpool could tell me the part exists but would not say how long it takes to get it! Do NOT buy Whirlpool washer with top load lid that has glass window. Big problem is that Whirlpool now has Jenn-Air, KitchenAid, Maytag and Amana all under their umbrella.

Original review: March 4, 2018

Cabrio fabric washer and dryer sucks. I gave almost $500 for a piece of **. Doesn't get the clothes clean. Hell most of them don't even get wet. It's junk. Wouldn't have another one. Lowe's junk and the dryer ain't know better. It's always flashing check lint even when it's clean and you have to ** with it just to get it to start.

Original review: March 3, 2018

I'm on Whirlpool Cabrio washer top number 4. Well over $300.00 each, and washer doesn't work with a broken top. I sent a letter to Whirlpool telling them, NEVER again Whirlpool and my reason is the 4th top in 6 years. I received a form letter back... "apologizing for a delay in response" and, "we hope you enjoy the rest of your day", lol. They don't get my level of dissatisfaction or better just don't care. Never again Whirlpool.

If you search Cabrio Washer tops you can see thousands of dissatisfied customers... and still Whirlpool has the arrogance to say, "occasionally failures do occur", but "we can not explain." Really is your engineering that bad? A high school kid could figure out that the spring is to strong for the plastic housing and over time the plastic cracks. Really Whirlpool? A multi billion dollar company? Never again Whirlpool.

Original review: March 2, 2018

We have had zero problems. Machine is very quiet and does an excellent job. The many setting allow us to tailor the machine to what we need. We would definitely purchase this machine again and recommend to friends.

Original review: March 1, 2018

Beware to those who are in the market for a new washing machine. I am reviewing the product not the retailer. The lack of the agitator on the machine has left the consumer very agitated! I have called Whirlpool in the first year at least three times for them to come look at it and see the pictures of the clothes. It rips but the response basically is, “It can't be helped ma'am.” Here is what it does: When you do a load of shirts the sleeves tangle so much your clothes rip You can do approximately 3- towels or it won’t spin correctly. A load takes forever! Now I have been doing laundry for over 40 years so I know how to do a load and I have never been so disappointed in a product I could not return, why you ask because they say there is nothing wrong with the machine. Don't do it! So Whirlpool get a 0 star rating from me but I have to give it one for this review to move forward.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

I went from an HE front loader to an HE top loader (Whirlpool Cabrio WTW7000DW0) due to the risk of mildew with the front loader. I'm not the only one doing laundry and if someone else does it, it always seems that they shut the door when empty, contributing to moisture and mold that needed to be cleaned out of the gaskets. I am so unhappy with my top loader HE washer. When I stop the machine and look, I always see my laundry half covered with dingy water, sometimes part of it still dry at the top and it is disgusting. I frequently have to rewash loads due to detergent getting "trapped" in folds or pockets created that hold on to dirt and lint, even being careful with the detergent amount. I run the washer now every time with settings of "deep water, extra rinse, heavy load and presoak" with instructions, with settings taped to the top for others.

At almost 1 1/2 hours each load, we just can't keep up. The laundry still forms pockets and sheets form a giant tent over the entire load that has to be unraveled at the end of the cycle and wound so tight it had no chance of rinsing. I had to get a repair person out because it got out of balance and he had a small hand-held computer to enter a code to rebalance it. When we discussed the issues I was having, he was ready for everything I was doing wrong. He told me I can not wash blankets or large items (I thought I was buying large capacity with such an enormous drum). He told me they have "caught" people adding water with a bucket during cycles and that the washer software can tell them if people are trying to work around the system which voids the warranty.

Apparently, this is a common complaint he blames on the government wanting high efficiency so they make the numbers look good, sacrificing the ability of the washer to perform at what a consumer expects. I have never seen the water in my drum higher than a couple inches and the drum is HUGE, but never used to capacity. He told me his wife demanded they get a commercial washer because she was so angry about how poorly it cleaned. I feel so scammed and I wish I could have my old agitator back. $100 for the repair call, $150 for the code to be put in and I'm on warning that they will see if I try to add water, run out of balance or don't comply with any reason they can void the warranty by just checking the data the washer is collecting on us.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

We've had this Whirlpool 5000DW1 machine since June 2017. Never fills with enough water no matter what cycle you pick! Clothes come out with DRY areas on them! Obviously not clean. Who would design a washer that you put soap in and clothes right on top of that! Seriously, how ridiculous. I will forfeit the money spend on this junk if it's possible to find something built today that cleans clothes.

Whirlpool expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Whirlpool is generally considered the largest home appliance maker in the world. The company employs over a 100,000 employees, with many of them located right in the United States. The company also has a strong commitment to environmental and social causes.

• Large capacities for a variety of customers: Whirlpool washers feature large capacities, with a few washers offering more capacity than 4.3 cubic feet.

• Corporate diversity: Whirlpool has a commitment to corporate diversity, and attempts to connect with groups like women, blacks and Asians through its various Whirlpool Action Networks.

• Auto-dispensing feature: With select washers, consumers can fill their washer with enough detergent for 12 washes. From there, the Whirlpool washer will dispense the exact amount of detergent needed, saving time and conserving detergent.

• Best for: People who want a hassle-free washing experience, families and professionals.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs