Whirlpool Washing Machines
1.27/5
Based on 130 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a washer and dryer?

Whirlpool Washing Machines

2326 Whirlpool Washing Machines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

We have just built a new home and have spent a ton of money on appliances. I so wish I had looked up the reviews on this Whirlpool Cabrio Washer before we bought it. It makes a very loud annoying sound through at least a third of the cycle (which I was just told by Whirlpool is the normal agitating sound). We have also had to have service out here twice in the first few months because some of the clothes come out dirty in areas that were folded over because of lack of water even on the high water setting. It also, ripped my favorite white blouse right in half. Trust me DON'T buy it, you will be sorry.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

My review merely echoes the other 1-star reviews I've read below, but I'm including it anyway. We bought the Whirlpool Cabrio from Lowe's in 2013. Two weeks ago, a mere five years after purchase and shortly after our warranty expired, it broke. It kept showing the UL code and took multiple cycles to wash the clothes. Unacceptable. We called the technician; he came out; told us it was the bearing that busted; and quoted us $800 to fix it (I noticed below another customer was quoted $400 for the same issue). We told the technician thanks but no thanks and purchased a $450 Samsung washer. Our family will never purchase any Whirlpool product again. From their customer service to the performance of their machines-- it's all very much lacking.

Get expert buying tips about Washers and Dryers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

My NEW Whirlpool top loader just stopped working. I bought it in June 2015. The extended warranty I purchased ended at the end of June of this year. Guess what happened a few weeks later? The thing died. Seems totally fishy! My parent's washing machine lasted 20 years. Why does this one die weeks after the warranty expired?

Original review: July 27, 2018

I purchased my Cabrio washer and dryer 4 years ago, my dryer doesn't dry completely, I have to do 2 to 3 cycles to dry. My washer has an f51 code and I have problems unlocking the lid and it takes 2 to 3 hours to wash. This is ridiculous and it causing my electric bill to spike. Is there a recall on the Cabrio?

Original review: July 24, 2018

Purchased a Whirlpool washer and dryer (WFW75HEFW0) in September 2017. Have had 4 service calls on washer for not completely washing clothes, leaving excess water after cycles complete, excessive wrinkling of clothes even on non wrinkle clothes, odor on some clothes due to incomplete water fill on some cycles. Factory position since there are no error codes washer is fine. Asked factory to exchange washer and upgrade model which we would pay difference. Denied. Looking for another brand and will seek legal assistance in the matter.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whirlpool?

Original review: July 22, 2018

Purchased a Whirlpool Cabrio Washer 5 years ago because our other washer died after coming home from vacation. It's just 2 people in this household so I don't do mountains of laundry. The other machine lasted 15 years so go figure. We purchased the Cabrio from Lowe's. Got the extended warranty but as it goes the machine fails when all warranties expires. Over the last couple of weeks this machine started to not complete a wash cycle. All lights go off except for spin light and machine stops.

Even asked the person in charge of washers and dryers at Lowe's about this who then told me to get an extension cord and plug it into a different outlet. Seriously! I have had to unplug the machine after it fails to complete cycle, wait 5 minutes or so, plug it back in, select rinse and spin, it fails again 13 minutes left in cycle, unplug again, plug it back in, select drain and spin, wait for it to MAYBE complete that cycle. Do not purchase this type of machine. Just for a technician to come look at it is $100 or more and to replace whatever circuit board is probably another $300 or more. Screw that! Going to find a good old fashion one if possible. Piece of junk. Not going to spend $700 or $1000 just to wash clothes for 2 people.

Original review: July 18, 2018

Whirlpool Cabrio Platinum washing machine: You won't believe this until you call a parts replacement place for tiny part. The plastic (or vinyl) lid hinge bearings are located at hinge corners of lid. Hinge pin passes through them, one on each side. Half the size of a penny, UNCONSCIONABLE greed at the price of $32-$33 dollars EACH when ordered from a parts place. IMHO, design by INTENTIONAL failure to fail after three or four years. As a result, the lid will not stay up on its own. Then you find out the horrible news which is an insult to intelligence. I'd have expected to pay maybe two or three dollars each, but NEVER the price they are demanding. They've got you and there is NOTHING you can do about it. At that rate, parts would run tens of thousands of dollars to replace the entire machine, part by part. These greedy clowns make car dealers look like reasonable people! The LAST Whirlpool machine of ANY kind we will EVER own!

Original review: July 16, 2018

We purchased this washer (Whirlpool Cambrio #WTW8000BWO) in December of 2014. It is now 3 1/2 years old and while the washer worked great 'til just recently, we now have to purchase a different one because this one will cost too much to repair. We did not get the extended warranty. I have since read that the Cambrio has had a lot of problems. Always check the long term owners and what they have to say about the item, would never have purchased this washer had I known what the problems were and that they even were having them they should have taken it off the market 'til they got the situation fixed.

Original review: July 16, 2018

I took the time to read the owner's manual, and then ran machine (washer wtw5000dw0). Using an affordable HE approved detergent (Xtra), I had no problems. If the washer doesn't fill or drain correctly, look up how to recalibrate it, was easy to do because I did that after transporting it. My clothes are cleaner, and I am using LESS detergent!

Original review: July 10, 2018

Two days after the one year warranty ran out on our front load washer it started making a terrible noise. Of course the Whirlpool warranty was no longer in effect. The good news I was sold an extended warranty from Nebraska Furniture Mart. Called the Service Provider and was told they will only service the washer if it is not working. After several more calls they scheduled a service call in 10 days.

We are a family of four, yes no washer is a problem. Finally the technician showed up and said the main bolt holding the drum assembly in place had broken off. He would have to order the bolt. It is now on backorder for 3 weeks. No washing machine for 4 people and now nearly a month is a pain. Not only did my calls to Whirlpool do nothing but the calls to the third party Warranty Company have been very frustrating. My call to the salesperson at NFM was very helpful, but didn’t help get our washer fixed. This is our second and last set of Whirlpool laundry pairs in less than four years.

Original review: July 8, 2018

This washing machine has been the worst machine I have ever owned - I have called Paddy's Market on several occasions to have a repairman come out and take a look at this machine, which they did - but the machine never got any better - it has never ever washed my clothes properly it's a piece of garbage - clothes come out dirtier than when they went in and sometimes come out dry. It's so busy trying to save water - it doesn't use hardly any - and forget doing bigger loads - I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER WHIRLPOOL product again.

Original review: July 6, 2018

Purchased a new Twin Thin washer & dryer combo when I first moved into my new apartment two-years ago since it was a good fit for the space that lies inside my patio. Nothing BUT problems from day one since it DESTROYS/EATS your delicate clothing. Repairmen in and out could find nothing wrong with it. The problem lies in the fact that the so-called gentle cycle agitates at the same rate as the other cycles, but stops so that the agitation time is shorter, but at the same time the agitation no matter if it's shorter is still too vigorous for delicates. Under contract, so keep having repairmen come at no cost to me other than a complete waste of money purchase inclusive of unwearable brand new RUINED clothing.

Called the company the other day & was told they could SELL me a different one, but they would probably not pay to have the "LEMON" removed. Also, suggested I wash my delicates in a mesh bag which is impossible to do when one has maxi dresses that tell you to wash on the delicate cycle. Mesh bags are made for small items - DUH!

Repairman came again today, and was kind enough to make call to them. Later found that their response to him was that I was putting too much into the washer. Like no way, Jose! Asked tech to forward e-mail to them advising that they were more than welcome to come film me when I wash because that was NOT the problem with it. Already knew Whirlpool had discontinued this washer/dryer combo, but THAT fact was never mentioned. A lot of sites online no longer even carry the parts for it. Found others with the same issues on various sites relating to this now discontinued model which is akin to a Purana fish with shark fins. E-mail sent to tech that was here today asking him to forward my e-mail to whomever he made contact with today via phone that unless the situation is remedied that I would have to take further action. Now awaiting response from the main man tech or whatever his position is at Whirlpool.

Bottom line is that it is a LEMON that has not only cost me money, but excessive amount of time to resolve this issue not to mention time spent online researching this, that and the other concerning this discontinued appliance. Warning to all out there - DO NOT BUY WHIRLPOOL - UNLESS YOU WANT A HASSLE and a lot of BS. Found they already have an extreme number of lawsuits against them during my online searches. So, ball is in their court at the present time. Will be calling them the end of the week once again in order to get this problem resolved unless I hear from them via e-mail.

Totally exhausted from it all. Word to the wise: DO NOT waste your money on Whirlpool appliances unless you want more problems than you already have. I have health problems which are exacerbated by stress, and believe me this has been one of the most stressful and one of the longest things to resolve (two years) brought on by their lack of admittance that this DISCONTINUED product is a real LEMON. BUYER BEWARE OF WHIRLPOOL - I rest my case.

Updated on 07/12/2018: Can't seem to find this model anywhere now. Not to mention the fact that I found it not only "eats" my delicate clothing, but is also ruining my towels, etc. and I use the regular wash cycle for these items. You can't find my model #WET4024EWO anywhere; looked like they put a similar one out with a slightly different model # in which the drum/agitator differs from mine. Now find I'm having difficulty finding that NEW stackable model on the WEB. Leaves me wondering if that one has also now been discontinued???

They have given me no resolution to my problem as of yet, and I'm totally EXHAUSTED from it all. Have high blood pressure, a heart condition, and can't even sleep right anymore due to their lack of cooperation to solve this on-going problem which is certainly not helping any of my medical conditions either. It's causing nothing but STRESS, STRESS, STRESS and more STRESS! Will be filing a complaint with "The Better Business Bureau" by next week if not resolved by this weekend (if I live that long).

Updated on 07/17/2018: In looking at this Washer/Dryer Combo Model # WET4024EW aka "LEMON" again today after noticing more clothes which now have holes in them after being washed on the gentle cycle with the highest water level possible, I noted the size of the agitator. Bottom line on this is that the agitator also appears TOO LARGE for the machine which also could also be another contributory factor to the destruction capabilities of this now discontinued model. Also, inspected towels today and found torn stitching & thread tearing in those also; appears EVERYTHING you wash in this machine gets destroyed. In researching further on their newer makes noticed that the agitator appears either much smaller or has been removed altogether. Hopefully this will serve to aid anyone out there who is thinking of buying this machine second hand from anyone out there that is attempting to sell it vs obtaining restitution from Whirlpool.

Original review: June 28, 2018

After just 22 months I need to shell out $300 for a new microprocessor. My Miele lasted for nine years. In the olden days washing machines could last for 15-20. Do not buy Whirlpool, from what I understand it's a dying company...

Original review: June 26, 2018

We purchased a Whirlpool washer model WTW7500 in November of 2017. I found the clothes were not getting clean and also noticed that even after a full wash some parts of the clothing or sheets had dry spots! I checked all connections and called for service. As soon as the serviceman saw the machine he said, “yes, that’s a problem with those machines”. "They are low water/water saving as per some American regulation and that’s what happens... you’re going to have to live with it." He also suggested running an extra rinse and using “deep water” function. I did this and it made very little difference except now a wash cycle for bedding is 104 minutes! Also, still had a big dry spot on my sheets!

When I called again to Whirlpool they scheduled another repairman for a second opinion, turned out to be the same person with the same answers... I called Whirlpool again and was informed that my washing machine is working as designed! I argued that a washing machine is designed to wash and clean clothes so this one does not do what it is designed for... I spoke to the supervisor, she was actually just rude, also said I not had 30 days to make a complaint and I was outside of that, when I asked to speak to her supervisor she said there was no one above her although she denied being the owner of Whirlpool! (That’s my little joke). Anyway wish someone had warned me prior to this purchase.

Original review: June 25, 2018

I had this washer (WTW7990XGO) 5 years and finally had to replace it. It started with the touchscreen. No matter how often it was calibrated it was very frustrating to get it to respond. It would start dinging and going thru all the cycles at random times. Then there was the error code for the door lock. The door lock wasn't the problem, the surround was slightly warped and the door wasn't catching. Warped I'm sure from having to literally climb into the machine to retrieve the clothes!

Then a few months later it was another error code - the machine wasn't draining fast enough. It didn't drain at all. We had to use a water hose to drain it. After the second time with that, I went and bought a new washer - different brand, dials - no touch screen, and it has an agitator. Unfortunately, I ran into other customers in the appliance department who were having the same issues from 2 other brands of electronic washers. We all went back to as old school as was available.

Original review: June 20, 2018

I bought this washing machine after having my Kenmore for 20 years. This washing machine is a nightmare. I have to wash my clothes 2 or 3 times, to get them clean. Everything has residue on them. Once a month, I do use a cleaning tablet, and between loads, I wipe the washer out too! This is the biggest piece of junk! Save your money. Buy an old school washing machine.

Original review: June 17, 2018

I purchased my Whirlpool Cabrio H2Low from Sears 6 years ago. After numerous problems with clothes not getting clean (soap spots, stain transfers, etc) I learned the only setting I could use that actually cleaned was "bulky" with an extra rinse (so much for the energy efficiency). My first major repair was in the first year. We've since had 3 more and the darn thing died again this morning. First the motherboard died and needed replacement, the drain pump failed, the door lock failed, and twice now it stopped spinning. At first I thought maybe I was just unlucky and bought a defective machine but repair sites are filled with reports of similar problems with these machines. I will never buy another Whirlpool product again.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I bought front-loader WFW8540FW1 in November 2017 from Lowe's. I keep having problems with the washer not turning on. I am waiting for the repairman to come. Had repair done in March, May, and now June. I have gotten new electronics for replacement from Whirlpool each time. Obviously something is defective. Is there a lemon law for washers? Hope so. Never buy Whirlpool Washer again!

Original review: June 7, 2018

I purchased a new Whirlpool 3.6-cu ft Top-Load Washer (White-On-White) Model #: WTW4800BQ from Lowe's on 11/1/14, which was only 3 ½ years ago. The washer began making noise during the spin cycle so we called for service. The technician claimed that the bearing pack needed to be replaced and the repair would cost $400. This amount is $20 higher than the amount I paid to purchase the washer. Because the warranty is only one year, I contacted Whirlpool today and spoke with a representative. The representative said they could repair it under the warranty. When I asked how to proceed, she then asked me if I had an extended warranty. When I replied that if I had an extended warranty, I would be using it. She declined any assistance. I now have to purchase a new washer after only 3 and ½ years. I own 10 rentals. I promise that none of them will ever include a Whirpool product again.

Original review: June 6, 2018

Bought this Whirlpool washer (WTW5000DW0) to save energy and water consumption. It has been awful from day 1. Clothes come out with detergent (white marks) all over them. Clothes aren’t spun out enough to dry them. It takes FOREVER for a load to finish, I can’t imagine that this is saving me anything on electric. Waste of money. Do not buy this!

Original review: May 28, 2018

Bought this model #WTW8500DC from Lowe's in 2015. Ever since had problems. Stopping in the middle, not starting, recently keeps running water, lid lock issues, had multiple service calls and multiple hardware changes, paid extra for extended warranty from Whirlpool hoping that within a year all problems would be gone after so many repairs. Boys I was wrong. After spending around $1200 between this machine and the extended warranty, three year later after the warranty expired now I am stuck with this non-functional piece of junk and looking for another washing machine. Would love to hear from Whirlpool if I stumbled upon a lemon, or three year is expected life of their $1000 plus machines.

Original review: May 25, 2018

We bought the washer and dryer set almost three years ago. Great sales pitch! Energy saver, extra capacity, low water usage, Whirlpool name and I thought we were getting great quality! Three years later I am disgusted, disappointed and am junking the washer. The dryer has a new heating element that we proudly fixed ourselves after the repairmen told us that these were meant to be throwaways. We just thought he did not want to work on it. After watching several YouTube videos we had it apart and found the issue was a cracked heating element. We ordered a new one for 100$ and spent another 4 hours putting it back together. If we had to pay a repairmen to do all that the bill would have been the price of a cheap new one.

Fast forward three weeks and now the washer quit and it can be one of at least 15 problems. After reading all these reviews we have decided to toss it as junk. It took forever to was a load of clothes negating any energy saving! Whirlpool should be ashamed of themselves for ripping off all of us hardworking Americans selling us junk. At one time the Whirlpool name meant you could count on a quality product! If Whirlpool really wanted to do the right thing, they would stop selling these immediately and give customers a credit toward the purchase of new washers and dryers!

Original review: May 24, 2018

High end Whirlpool dual front loader washing machine model number WFW94HEXW2 died after 5+ years of less than moderate use. Used no more than once a week. Paid for a top end model. Had 2 mechanics look at it. Mechanically it is fine. The CCU is not working correctly and won't allow it to start. We replaced it, but to no avail. It is barely out of warranty at 5+ years old. Called Whirlpool and they said they would do nothing. Asked for a manager and she was rude to add insult to injury. Can't get to the serial number because the door is locked shut as part of the shutdown problem. Can't find original receipt so including a picture of the credit card purchase. Trying to contact retailer but so far have not heard back from them.

Original review: May 21, 2018

Just purchased Whirlpool top load large capacity washing machine with no agitator at Lowe’s three months ago. I sit at the kitchen table in my freshly washed exercise clothes and smell body odor. There were six exercise items in the load and supposedly enough soap. The load washed for 45 minutes last evening. Yard work clothes washed yesterday are not clean. I had to remove grass from the bottom of the tub. When I iron my smocks for work, since I work with animals, I pick pet hair off of them as I iron. Judging from other reviews, this torture won’t last long, before I need to replace this piece of junk. My last washer lasted 20 years. If it didn't leak water, it would still be running. Thanks Whirlpool, I guess the joke is on me!

Original review: May 17, 2018

I purchased my Whirlpool Cabrio washing machine a couple years ago at Lowe's. It sucks. First of all, my washer stinks all the time. It smells like sewer even after the cleaning cycle. My dark clothes come out with a white residue, and my whites come out with dirt on them that wasn't on them before washing... All this even after running an additional rinse cycle. How is this energy efficient? Not to mention, time efficient??? Crazy that once you buy something like this for this amount of money you're pretty much stuck with it... Isn't there a lemon law for appliances? This was so expensive and such piece of crap. I will never buy a Whirlpool washer ever again!

Original review: May 14, 2018

My Cabrio leaves my husband's jeans dirty. Never had this problem with my old Kenmore. I spray all his jeans with Shout before I wash them, but because there is so little water in the machine, even on the deep water setting, they still never look clean. Also, the machine is shredding his hankies and putting holes in my tee-shirts. This machine is a piece of crap!!

Original review: May 9, 2018

Whirlpool top loading piece of junk! I would give it a zero star review if I could! Do not buy this machine!!! I agree with many other reviews. It doesn’t get the clothes cleaned and now a completely doesn’t work. We reset it, we’ve had the service guy come in and replace a bunch of parts on it. It’s past its one year warranty and doesn’t work anymore. Piece of junk! Junk, junk, junk!!! Waste of money. Do you not buy the Whirlpool tub loading washing machine!

Original review: May 9, 2018

Purchased the 2015 Whirlpool Cabrio. Today 5-2018, the panel went completely out. When I called the store (Lowe's) they asked if I purchased the warranty. I responded no, she went on to say, “Well since you choose not to purchase the warranty you're stuck”. Even if I paid for the warranty a washer should not break down in less than 3 years. My previous washer lasted 18 years with no problems. We purchased this washer because of the larger load. It was one of the most expensive washers. It’s a piece of junk and the manufacturer will not stand by their horrible product. Please DO NOT buy! I will be filing a formal complaint.

Original review: May 8, 2018

I purchase newly Whirlpool washing machine but it was not working from the first day of my purchase. So many service Engineer came but nobody can solve the problem, so I suggest to all please don’t buy washing machine from Whirlpool. I am very disappointed from this company.

Original review: May 3, 2018

You Have Been Warned! Do Not Buy A Whirlpool. We bought this Whirlpool washer from Lowe's. It is a top loader without the agitator in it. The sales pitch was very good. One of the best washers on the market. It was less than 1 year old when it started getting out of balance. We would stop it and rearrange the clothes and start it back up. Over a few months it just got worse. Now, it will scare you when it gets out of balance. You can't set within 5' of it or it will run you over when it jumps, but you have to set close enough monitoring it or it will run out the door of the utility room after you. Now, I find out the Maytag has bought Whirlpool Corp. Not a good move for them. Whirlpool has mess it's own name up, why would Maytag want any part of it? I don't think I will trust Maytag anymore either for fear it may be a Whirlpool.

Not sure about Whirlpool Washing Machines?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Washers and Dryers for you.

Whirlpool expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Whirlpool is generally considered the largest home appliance maker in the world. The company employs over a 100,000 employees, with many of them located right in the United States. The company also has a strong commitment to environmental and social causes.

• Large capacities for a variety of customers: Whirlpool washers feature large capacities, with a few washers offering more capacity than 4.3 cubic feet.

• Corporate diversity: Whirlpool has a commitment to corporate diversity, and attempts to connect with groups like women, blacks and Asians through its various Whirlpool Action Networks.

• Auto-dispensing feature: With select washers, consumers can fill their washer with enough detergent for 12 washes. From there, the Whirlpool washer will dispense the exact amount of detergent needed, saving time and conserving detergent.

• Best for: People who want a hassle-free washing experience, families and professionals.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

Benton Harbor
    MI
    www.whirlpool.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business