3.80/5

Quit paying for costly home repairs

Quit paying for costly home repairs

536 Troy-Bilt Consumer Reviews

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

Fuses have blow. Brakes do not work for any longer than a year, always need repair. Many new cables replacements. Forever need carb clean. Replace Transmissions now. This thing is only 5 years old. It is a big piece junk. Will not ever buy from Troy-Bilt again. A big money hole that is for sure.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

Bought a Troy-Bilt leaf blower at Canadian Tire. If the product doesn't work you have to return to a dealer you can't return to the store. My leaf blower worked for two minutes and stalled. Tried again stalled. Looked at the unit and there was oil leaking out. Phoned the warranty line and they sent me to a dealer. Got there and they said it was three weeks before they could look at it! Really rude about it too. He called Troy-Bilt a piece of garbage. Phoned the help line back. They got me a dealer that would look at it about a half an hour away. Took it there. He took it - said the fuel filter was installed wrong in the factory. Said he fixed it. Took it home. Still the same problem - leaking oil and stalls. Stay away from this company. They are a rip off.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

CHEAP: That best describes this Chinese-made 2,000.00 mistake. The mower chute broke at the Lowe's while their crew was loading it (also metal is so flimsy the back bent beneath the seat) and I had to re-attach the chute when I got it home. I use my tractor year round, and the cart that came with it had parts from two different carts (had to cobble it together). I haul wood from the pile to the back door all winter, so it doesn't get put away in fall. I noticed that (when started) it started running at higher and higher RPM's (couldn't decelerate it). I called Lowe's, waste of time, - and Kohler. The Kohler tech chuckled! 'Oh, that's the cheap Chinese Carburetors, they jamb-up if you don't drain the tank in the fall!' He recommended I turn it in for service, but when I tried was told it would be August before they could work on it (it was now May!) – OR - I could take it someplace else and pay to have it repaired (no reimbursement).

NO CHOICE - So I went out to my shed to start it/back it out, - it started, revved way-high (the Governor failed) and exploded! Parts flew out the back of the engine block and oil cascaded all over everything in the shed! I called just about every warranty place in the state and finally found one that could take it and fix it within a month. THAT'S when I got the surprise $180.00 bill (KOHLER put the Carb on the engine, but would not cover it. They charged me for that! And (in the end) it was 'Pay-up or you don't get your machine back!') My son took it out of the shed yesterday and - it's back doing the same thing again (but THIS TIME -NO WARRANTY). I will have to either replace the Carb with a better, U.S. built one I found on a Forum, or figure out a way to correct the butterfly shaft freeze -up on this one.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I am a disable vet so bought a Troy-Bilt Pony riding mower. Kept oil changed and filter changed. Still looks new. Was mowing and valves blew. Almost caught on fire. Called Troy-Bilt. They said, "Sorry we don't cover engine. It's a Briggs and Stratton. They only guarantee for 1 yr. We aren't responsible for engine". I asked if you have a contract with them for the engine then you should stand behind it. No they don't and don't care. Would never buy from them again. Engines within a yr start having problems buy John Deere at least. They care about all of their products. Poor customer service from Troy-Bilt. Takes your money and that's all.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

Picked this mower out for my parents and bought the same model for myself after my mower died! Within 2 years dad was complaining about front adjustment dropping down. Found front axle was not holding in place, plastic tabs had warped and axle settled to side causing one side of mower being quarter to half inch low and front height adjustment to fall out of place easily. I found front cover 731-11699 and front height adjustment plate 787-01818-0637 online, not through Troy-Bilt, but genuine parts for parents' mower.

After this I checked my own mower and found same problems! I called Troy-Bilt and they sent parts for price of shipping. Now both mowers are doing same thing, obvious manufacturers defect! Troy-Bilt will only do %15 percent off parts now, I can get them cheaper through mower parts online, but don't want to pay for cheap parts that will fail within next year or 2. Troy-Bilt was very unhelpful and aren't taking responsibility for bad part design, I will never buy Troy-Bilt again!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Troy-Bilt?

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

I bought this mower about 3 years ago. It was great for about a year. After that I had constant issues with it starting and running properly. I have cleaned the carb. Replaced may parts and have to do maintenance every time I want to use it. I will NEVER buy another. My push mower I bought 6 months ago popped yesterday and I think it may be the motor. I will tinker for a bit to see if I can get it going but will NOT buy another.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I bought the TB6044 XP trimmer in June 2018. Used it only maybe 10 times between June and today. I was happily using it in my garden and the engine just died less than 10 minutes into it. The pull string to start the engine just stopped working and it won't recoil back. I can't start the engine. Lowe's said the product is under 3 year warranty but they can't help me. I need to send it to a Troy-Bilt service. I am out here on my own.

P.s. I bought the same said trimmer 2 years ago. The first time this happened, I figured it's user error since I always have keep pulling the string many times before I can get the engine to start. So I bought another one this June and the same product broke in the same area. Shame on me for believing in your products. I'm stuck with a useless product. How did this product pass the QA process amazes me. I am disappointed. Very low quality product.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

Engine failure was not covered by warranty. Lowe's claimed lack of lubrication. Not true. It was lubricated per instructions in owner's manual. Engine was clearly defective. Lowe's unfairly refused to honor warranty.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

Was looking for a rider. Went to TSC, waited and waited AND FINALLY left. Decided to go to Farm Store, seen Troy-Bilt, was happy what we saw and decided to buy it then... thanks. The ladies there were very nice.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

About a year ago I purchased a Troy-Bilt weed eater. Several weeks ago I had to take it to a repair shop to have someone look at it. I was told that the cylinder or pistons (not sure which) had scratches on it and that it had low compression. The repairman stated that if he got it running again that it would just die for good after a few times of use. I use the recommended 2-cycle oil & gas treatment and have done nothing on my end to damage the unit. The repairman said that it was just normal wear and tear, and that it was nothing I did that broke it. After telling the repairman that it was still under warranty, he said good luck trying to get Troy-Bilt to replace it. He said that Troy-Bilt is a cheap machine and that they go out very easily. He also said that he had about 30 of them in the back that he was working on trying to repair.

I contacted the Troy-Bilt customer service about the warranty and they would not do anything for me. The rep said that the repairman stated on the invoice that it was normal wear and tear and that it voided the warranty. If the unit became damaged and it wasn't my fault, the only thing it could be was normal wear and tear. I WILL NEVER buy a Troy-Bilt again.

Troy-Bilt Company Information