2. Homeowners
  3. Riding Mowers

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.79/5

Troy-Bilt Reviews

Original review: May 27, 2019

I bought my mower from Canadian Tire, brought it home and got it ready to use. It ran for a couple uses then wouldnt start. Had to clean the carb and it's barely run ever since. I used the correct fuel. The worst purchase ever. Emailed Canadian Tire and got 0 response. I'm very disappointed, I've never had issues like this with any other mower or snowblower that I've owned.

Original review: May 25, 2019

I bought a brand new Troy-Bilt 46” riding mower from Lowe's. My experience started out after it was delivered and I had to send it back due to damage. Then another one came and was rusting, then another due to damage and reverse not working. Finally got one that worked or so I thought. Last year the powder coating started to lift up and peel off in sheets. BTTW covered the cost of a brand new lower body, and hood, and some bolt hardware. It was gone in service from July until this year 2019 of February. Got the mower out of my shed to mow on April 25th, and it just stopped working. Then I noticed a manufacturer defect in the new body, that was causing the battery cables to rub. Then it would start, then idle up and down and smoke out of the exhaust. Reverse would work without the safety button being turned on.

I called service advantage and BTTW. Spoke with Katrina ** at BTTW, she put in for a buyout on the mower due to it being repaired 3 times last year and the issues I have now. Then I get a call saying my service appt was canceled and I verbally abused them and they won’t work with me. Mind you I recorded every conversation as they knew and still wouldn’t give me a reason why. I called Service Advantage and they seen all the notes and case numbers, and that the request for a buyout was approved, then it stated I was verbally abusive, then while on the phone with Service Advantage another verbal abuse came up with me and I wasn’t even talking to BTTW. Then the claim was denied.

Out of the blue BTTW put in a request for service, but they didn’t want anything to do with me right??? I waited for a call and got one today, stating the service appt was cancelled again. So I called Service Advantage or Lowe's warranty, and I was told even though I still have a warranty they won’t help me and I’m on my own. Spend your money somewhere else. The mowers are junk, motors lock up from other reviews I’ve seen, electrical issues. They took my $2000 and basically told me to shove it and go against their own policy. So if I want it fixed I have to pay for everything out of pocket. They are liars, have excuses, and are the worst people to deal with.

You would be better off talking to a dog then have them do anything for you. I’m going to contact a lawyer regarding this as it’s in their policy for warranty. Even other brands have a lot of complaints yet my 1992 Craftsman 2 rider was a tank and I never had any issue with that. Minus me selling it for this larger piece of scrap I have in my shed. With the guidelines when you write a review it states it’s my opinion of the business. Well it’s not a opinion. It’s a fact. I wish I could post the videos I have of it shaking all over and blowing white and black smoke out of the exhaust and be able to let you people hear my conversations, on what I was told then a 180 was thrown and now I have nothing.

Original review: May 18, 2019

Got this weed eater last summer. Only used it about 4 times because it was so hard to start after the first initial startup. So if I used it I would not shut it off. Even when having to add trimmer line. After several blisters from pulling the starter cord. And much frustration, I put it in the basement and used my 15 year old Sthil. This season I thought "It's brand new I need to see if I can get it going." I put in new gas and a new spark plug. It still didn't seem to be firing. After more pulling and another blister it finally cranked. I was able to get it to crank 3 more times that day with much pulling and many thoughts of throwing this thing in the trash. Now after all that pulling on the cord the pull cord is hanging up like the spring is about to break. I noticed that Lowe's no longer carries Troy-Bilt products this year. Maybe if they hadn't of carried it last year I wouldn't own this worthless weed eater.

Original review: April 28, 2019

I bought the Bronco version lawn tractor in 2013. Ran well for a while but never did give a smooth cut. Then last year (2018) it started smoking real bad upon start-up and running very rough until blades engaged and then engine would smooth out under that load. My mechanic replaced fuel filter, changed oil and filter, air filter, and fixed oil leak around drain plug. Runs better but still smokes really bad for about 5 minutes after starting. For comparison, I have a '97 Craftsman that still runs like a champ. Have owned this Craftsman, a Cub Cadet, a Murray, and the Troy-Bilt. Troy-Bilt worst one of the bunch by far, will not buy another.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I bought a Zero turn Mustang 34" last May. After 15 hours, it would not start, there was a part cracked in engine, had to be done during transport. Got that fixed told company, never offered me anything. Now I need belts, you can't find them anywhere. When I bought the mower, they never posted a warning saying no replacement parts available. This seems to me to be illegal. How do you sell new mowers and not offer replacement parts. Troy-Bilt is like the phony contractors that come to you after a storm, they take your money and leave. They should not be allowed to sell or operate in America. I thinking about getting a lawyer to see if they are liable.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Troy-Bilt?

Original review: April 21, 2019

Built to last 6 months or less. Last year I bought a Troy-Bilt lawn mower and pressure washer. Both have crapped out on me with less than 6 uses. They lasted one season barely. I stored them both indoors away from the elements. They never got rained on or anything. Checked the gas checked the oil can't get either one of these things to start.

Original review: April 1, 2019

Bought a riding mower AND a weed eater. Mower lasted 4 uses until it stopped starting. Took it to a repair shop, was told the carburetor went. Paid 200ish to get a new one and get it fixed. Weed eater lasted 3 uses. Pull string spinner broke, bought a Troy-Bilt drill bit that allows you start the weed eater with a power drill. The bit worked nicely 2 times, then the carburetor started leaking gas and wouldn't start. Bought a new carburetor and installed it. Go to start the weed eater with the drill then the bit broke and now spins both ways so it can't turn the motor.

When a company has to create a special drill bit to start their own weed eater because their pull string mechanism breaks after 10 pulls, you know they are a scam. They are aware of their products breaking. Instead of taking the time and money to develop a better pull string, they decide to create another trash product you will have to buy to attempt to keep using their other trash product. It's clear they are a scam and are fully aware their products break.

Original review: March 26, 2019

Bought at Lowe's. Name is misleading because a number of units are all built by MTD who owns the name. My 42" tractor mower performs okay. The mower deck is difficult to adjust on irregular landscapes to avoid scalping. Model 13WN77BS011 @ $1000 did not even have mountings for deck wheels.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I got the smallest riding mower in mower because I have a small yard but it was still too big. However, I used it but the switch to the engine under the seat kept disconnecting. I sent it in for repair to the main repair shop for Troy-Bilt. Four weeks later, I got it back and I used it for 5 weeks and it the same thing happened again so I got rid of it.

Original review: March 1, 2019

Tried to solve a problem with my Troy-Bilt Flex. Never got a response to my question, was only given a part number. Had the Flex repaired by an authorized dealer and Troy-Bilt never sent the reimbursement check they said they would send out. Their customer service is absolutely useless. If you are considering Troy-built, "DON'T". If you do, Don't say I didn't warn you!

Troy-Bilt Company Information