2.43/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

521 Troy-Bilt Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 22, 2018

Bought a small Troy-Bilt riding mower because I have a smaller lawn. Working great but need to get use to the turning ratio... can't make quick turns because it can tip out over.

Original review: July 22, 2018

I had problems with this mower from the day I bought it. I have owned it approximately 5 years. It has very few hours on it because it has been in the shop more than it has been used.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: July 21, 2018

Same part has gone bad, twice, the right front knuckle for steering. But not too expensive. Easy to start. Comfortable seat. Easy to maintain, such as oil changes and fuel fill up.

Original review: July 20, 2018

The same steering parts wear out every year and must be replaced over and over. The parts are only available online and are difficult for most people to replace.

Original review: July 20, 2018

Do not buy Troy-Bilt mower especially at Lowe's. Problems with the idle and mower deck after 4 months of mowing. Lowe's will not honor warranty. I will not buy anything else made by Troy-Bilt or from Lowe's.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Troy-Bilt?

Original review: July 19, 2018

My 14 year old 24hp Huskee is no longer worth repair, so I bought a 19hp Troy-Bilt to mow about 2.5 acres. It does a great job, however I was disappointed to find I couldn't use any of my old attachments even though both frames were made by the same manufacturer (MTD).

Original review: July 19, 2018

I have had the mower for 13 years and it has given me great service with very little maintenance cost. I couldn't ask for much more. I have had to replace the belts several times and "service" the carburetor. I have kept the blades sharp by sharpening them several times during the summer and it was done very well!

Original review: July 18, 2018

I like the tight turning radius, but it will lock up if turned all the way, so a little extra muscle is needed to turn the front wheels back. It is a single blade deck. The engine does not rev very high like my lawn tractor... it's a put put. The shift knob on the front/rear/neutral lever wants to break off, and the key location is in an awkward place. It was least expensive rider for sale, but for a hundred bucks more, I should have got the lawn tractor.

Original review: July 18, 2018

We used our mower for 2 years without servicing and it performed well. We had to replace a belt in year 3. We really worked it hard on tall grass and over exposed tree roots. We mow 2.75 acres at least once a week for at least 7 months a year. It is very easy to steer and comfortable to ride. The gas cap seems to come off, even though it is ratcheted, after I have ridden the bumpy parts of the lot. We keep it stored in a shed where temperatures can get into the teens in the winter and 90's in the summer. We think our Troy-Bilt Zero Turn was a great purchase and think it will last us many years. We bought it in 2015.

Original review: July 17, 2018

The Troy-Bilt could be quieter but it does the job and is economical to run. I have replaced air filter once a year and changed the oil also. The model I have doesn't have an oil filter.

Original review: July 17, 2018

Great little mower for smaller yards. Saves me about 20 minutes per week. Compact, but does the job well. Troy-Bilt makes some quality products. Best bang for your buck!

Original review: July 16, 2018

My Troy-Bilt is what I would call a ok mower. It's nothing great but for the price I can't complain. I believe the mower is a lower end mower and it was built on the cheaper side. In high grass it performs better than other mowers that are in the same price range or mower class. It does the job but that's about it. Nothing spectacular. I do have a issue when turning wheel real hard. Seems like I have to pull real hard on steering wheel to stop the turn and get the steering wheel straight. Now for the cost I like how much the mower cost me new.

Original review: July 16, 2018

I have two Troy-Bilt Horse 46 in deck mowers. One I have used 2 years and a new one this year. Have had no problems so far with either one. However I have had a Husqvarna 46 inch which had a lot of problems during 2 year ownership bought in 2015. Had two hydro transmissions go bad. Also had problems with the 22 horse engine.

Original review: July 15, 2018

We purchased a Troy Bilt Mustang 60 XP Zero Turn Rider in July 2016. Late last summer of 2017 the lawn mower wasn't working properly so we brought it in for service. There was a piece of casting in the housing of the rear turn and this had to be rebuilt. It took 5 weeks to receive the parts from the factory. In order to cut our lawn, we had to rent a lawn mower at our own expense. Won't purchase another Troy-Bilt and won't recommend!!

Original review: July 15, 2018

I have had to change belt 5 times - deck is too low - cuts beautifully but I usually have to get rider repaired after second cut. My Troy-Bilt is approx 5 years old and used maybe 12 times.

Original review: July 15, 2018

I have owned my rider for 5 years. I have an acre and a half. It is durable. I have never had any problems. With yearly maintenance, it runs well, cuts great and starts every time.

Original review: July 14, 2018

Had my Mustang 50 for 2 years and nothing but headaches. Mower deck is cheap made. Spend the money for a better quality mower. You will be much happier in the long run.

Original review: July 14, 2018

I have had this lawnmower for about 10 years and never had any problems; the only things that have needed to be done is just regular maintenance and a new battery (only once in 10 years). Starts right up every time and does a great job.

Original review: July 13, 2018

We've only used it twice, but so far so good. It rides well, maneuvers well and cuts beautifully. So far we're very happy with our purchase. Lowe's had dropped the price and it was everything we needed.

Original review: July 13, 2018

I bought mine from a man that used it once chained to a pole on his deck. 8 years later I bought it. Put some work into it, it’s still going strong. That was in 6 years ago. Had to replace the deck last year.

Original review: July 12, 2018

First off, the weed eater (Troy-Bilt TB35 EC) has never operated correctly. I spend time and money getting it worked on at local shops and it still didn’t run right. I finally called tech support and the guys I spoke with were arrogant and absolutely no help. So in conclusion, I will never own anything made by Troy-Bilt or anything they’re affiliated with and will always recommend another brand over them.

Original review: July 12, 2018

I have a Troy-Bilt for like 5 years now. It has been a great experience and I barely have any problems with it. It starts right up every time and rides so smooth.

Original review: July 12, 2018

I have never had a bad day on this mower. It starts every time. Changing the v belt on the mower deck is a bit of a job but I have managed it. Also changed the blades twice. I think that is about normal for 10+ years.

Original review: July 5, 2018

Bought an expensive Troy-Bilt Super Bronco 54" riding mower for new house. Used it first season and it was great. The 2nd season belt slipped off. That was the end of the mower. Bought 2 new OEM Troy-Bilt belts. Replaced it according to the manual and Troy-Bilt online help and emails. Belt is NOT tight. Belt will NOT get tighter. Sent it to local repair shop, as there are not any official Troy-Bilt repair centers within 100 miles of me. $400 later and they couldn't fix it. 2nd season came and went. Now on 3rd season, which is not long, live in WNY Snowbelt, and still can't use mower. More contact with Troy-Bilt, cordial but not at all helpful. Pretty much only good until you need to replace your belt. Very dissatisfied and will NEVER purchase another Troy-Bilt product again. And if you google it, it appears to be a known issue/problem.

Original review: June 30, 2018

Purchased end of season 2017 for $1200 plus $75 to deliver from Lowe's. What a piece of crap. Belt that runs blades was stretched after 5 mows of 1 acre and the pully was bent. Replaced belt for another $35 and after one mow popped of pully! Never had this many problems with a new mower! Craft much better product but I was on a budget. Now I have to pay to get the pully fixed! Junk.

Original review: June 29, 2018

I bought my Troy-Bilt Pony Riding Lawn Mower 17.5 HP in 2008, I am in my 10th year using this mower and I have to say if I ever wear this thing out, I will definitely buy another Troy-Bilt Pony. I am very pleased with Troy-Bilt products, Oh I almost forgot I bought a Troy-Bilt small garden tiller and it's great too!

Original review: June 23, 2018

The carburetor on my Troy-Bilt push mower is junk, actually the whole mower is junk. I wish I would’ve known about this site before I purchased the mower. Lowe’s wouldn’t stand behind the product either. Please spend a little more money and get a better mower. HD has a better selection.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Bought new Elect. push button walk behind lawn mower self propelled. It started on 2nd try. But--engine Idle is RACING and LOUD. Called company. No way to set idle speed. Has self-propel (hand operated) Speed LEVER but you must hold down lever (hard grip it) & same time grip Metal run bar. Whole time of Mow! Try to hold speed lever HALF-way down for (medium speed) & metal bar WHOLE way down @ same time. As ENGINE runs so Fast & self propel too; it's tough to guide fast vibrating mower in a straight line - cutting row. You must use self propel lever... else it's like pushing DEAD WEIGHT if even only up a slight incline!

Mower came with BROKEN missing piece on plastic handle + both handle sides are coming Apart! Poor quality JUNK. Troy-Bilt customer service refuses to mail out replacement Part - unless a Repairman will VERIFY it's a mfg Defect... But Blaines guy can't Look @ mower for 7 weeks booked up even though Troy-Bilt has PHOTOS & HAD agreed it's a mfg defect. Now changed mind... Lowe's stores won't return as been 30 days. Screwed huh???

Original review: June 11, 2018

Bought a Troy-Bilt weed trimmer TB22EC in 2016... 7 months later (4 uses) it sprung a leak near the power start area. I lost my receipt but still tried to get service but they wouldn't... the problem has caused the trimmer not to work properly... now I'm left with 120 buck scrap metal. Don't buy Troy-Bilt unless you are a junk buyer.

Original review: June 8, 2018

In May 2017, I purchased a Troy-Bilt Bronco riding mower. From the start, the mower tried to cut out and go dead on me all the time because of the safety feature. I had to move the seat all the way up to reach the gas pedal and it affected the safety feature. A couple of weeks ago, I noticed the seat wasn't secure and kept moving. This week, I went to tighten the seat and noticed that there wasn't a way to tighten it any longer. Either the piece was broken or had come loose.

Since I had purchased the extended warranty, I called and was informed that the seat wasn't covered, only the engine and mechanical parts. The seat is considered a wear and tear item; so after only about 20 hours or less of use and holding a 140 lb. person, the puny seat gave out. I will never purchase another Troy-Bilt mower and the extended warranties aren't worth the paper they're written on. I'm fed up with paying a big price for cheap and inferior products. I wish I had kept my old Bolens mower and put some money into having it fixed. You live and learn!

Troy-Bilt Company Information