3.82/5

Quit paying for costly home repairs

Quit paying for costly home repairs

Troy-Bilt Reviews

Original review: April 28, 2019

I bought the Bronco version lawn tractor in 2013. Ran well for a while but never did give a smooth cut. Then last year (2018) it started smoking real bad upon start-up and running very rough until blades engaged and then engine would smooth out under that load. My mechanic replaced fuel filter, changed oil and filter, air filter, and fixed oil leak around drain plug. Runs better but still smokes really bad for about 5 minutes after starting. For comparison, I have a '97 Craftsman that still runs like a champ. Have owned this Craftsman, a Cub Cadet, a Murray, and the Troy-Bilt. Troy-Bilt worst one of the bunch by far, will not buy another.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I bought a Zero turn Mustang 34" last May. After 15 hours, it would not start, there was a part cracked in engine, had to be done during transport. Got that fixed told company, never offered me anything. Now I need belts, you can't find them anywhere. When I bought the mower, they never posted a warning saying no replacement parts available. This seems to me to be illegal. How do you sell new mowers and not offer replacement parts. Troy-Bilt is like the phony contractors that come to you after a storm, they take your money and leave. They should not be allowed to sell or operate in America. I thinking about getting a lawyer to see if they are liable.

Original review: April 21, 2019

Built to last 6 months or less. Last year I bought a Troy-Bilt lawn mower and pressure washer. Both have crapped out on me with less than 6 uses. They lasted one season barely. I stored them both indoors away from the elements. They never got rained on or anything. Checked the gas checked the oil can't get either one of these things to start.

Original review: April 1, 2019

Bought a riding mower AND a weed eater. Mower lasted 4 uses until it stopped starting. Took it to a repair shop, was told the carburetor went. Paid 200ish to get a new one and get it fixed. Weed eater lasted 3 uses. Pull string spinner broke, bought a Troy-Bilt drill bit that allows you start the weed eater with a power drill. The bit worked nicely 2 times, then the carburetor started leaking gas and wouldn't start. Bought a new carburetor and installed it. Go to start the weed eater with the drill then the bit broke and now spins both ways so it can't turn the motor.

When a company has to create a special drill bit to start their own weed eater because their pull string mechanism breaks after 10 pulls, you know they are a scam. They are aware of their products breaking. Instead of taking the time and money to develop a better pull string, they decide to create another trash product you will have to buy to attempt to keep using their other trash product. It's clear they are a scam and are fully aware their products break.

Original review: March 26, 2019

Bought at Lowe's. Name is misleading because a number of units are all built by MTD who owns the name. My 42" tractor mower performs okay. The mower deck is difficult to adjust on irregular landscapes to avoid scalping. Model 13WN77BS011 @ $1000 did not even have mountings for deck wheels.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Troy-Bilt?

Original review: March 18, 2019

I got the smallest riding mower in mower because I have a small yard but it was still too big. However, I used it but the switch to the engine under the seat kept disconnecting. I sent it in for repair to the main repair shop for Troy-Bilt. Four weeks later, I got it back and I used it for 5 weeks and it the same thing happened again so I got rid of it.

Original review: March 1, 2019

Tried to solve a problem with my Troy-Bilt Flex. Never got a response to my question, was only given a part number. Had the Flex repaired by an authorized dealer and Troy-Bilt never sent the reimbursement check they said they would send out. Their customer service is absolutely useless. If you are considering Troy-built, "DON'T". If you do, Don't say I didn't warn you!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

It only last two year. No help from Troy-Bilt or Lowe where I got it bad block. Do not buy Kohler. They just pass the buck. You will be without a mower and your money. Troy will not do anything. Do not buy a Troy. You will be sorry. Get a good lawn mower that will last more than two years.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

This leaf blower is one of the strongest on the consumer market in terms of amount of air it moves. It does a nice job. I have had it for about 2 years and use it mainly to blow leaves in the fall: probably 20 hours/year. Just tuned it up, but after a couple of hours or use the clear plastic on the blower nozzle cracked completely off, making it unusable. Could not find just the parts I need to replace, I need to buy a whole new assembly at a much high price. Poor design or manufacturing as the plastic should be able to withstand the force of the blower, for more than about 40 hours. The blower was not stored in sunlight or exposed to chemicals which could degrade plastic. Seems unacceptable.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I bought a Troy-Bilt riding mower this May 2018. It's fuel Injected, no carb issues. Motor runs well, but battery didn't last the season. Mower deck is the poorest designed and build ever in history. Troy-Bilt engineers are clearly dropouts, that are still drunk. It can't cut grass over an inch. It can't be adjusted over 1.5 inches, so if you want to mow every 2 days, then this is the mower for you. Mower deck drops down on its own, and scalps lawn in many places. My lawn looks like it got attacked by a Renegade Flowbee. Never again will I buy or even use a Troy-Bilt product.

Troy-Bilt Company Information