1.21/5
Based on 38 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

464 Troy-Bilt Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 13, 2018

Bought new Elect. push button walk behind lawn mower self propelled. It started on 2nd try. But--engine Idle is RACING and LOUD. Called company. No way to set idle speed. Has self-propel (hand operated) Speed LEVER but you must hold down lever (hard grip it) & same time grip Metal run bar. Whole time of Mow! Try to hold speed lever HALF-way down for (medium speed) & metal bar WHOLE way down @ same time. As ENGINE runs so Fast & self propel too; it's tough to guide fast vibrating mower in a straight line - cutting row. You must use self propel lever... else it's like pushing DEAD WEIGHT if even only up a slight incline!

Mower came with BROKEN missing piece on plastic handle + both handle sides are coming Apart! Poor quality JUNK. Troy-Bilt customer service refuses to mail out replacement Part - unless a Repairman will VERIFY it's a mfg Defect... But Blaines guy can't Look @ mower for 7 weeks booked up even though Troy-Bilt has PHOTOS & HAD agreed it's a mfg defect. Now changed mind... Lowe's stores won't return as been 30 days. Screwed huh???

Original review: June 11, 2018

Bought a Troy-Bilt weed trimmer TB22EC in 2016... 7 months later (4 uses) it sprung a leak near the power start area. I lost my receipt but still tried to get service but they wouldn't... the problem has caused the trimmer not to work properly... now I'm left with 120 buck scrap metal. Don't buy Troy-Bilt unless you are a junk buyer.

Get expert buying tips about Riding Mower delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 8, 2018

In May 2017, I purchased a Troy-Bilt Bronco riding mower. From the start, the mower tried to cut out and go dead on me all the time because of the safety feature. I had to move the seat all the way up to reach the gas pedal and it affected the safety feature. A couple of weeks ago, I noticed the seat wasn't secure and kept moving. This week, I went to tighten the seat and noticed that there wasn't a way to tighten it any longer. Either the piece was broken or had come loose.

Since I had purchased the extended warranty, I called and was informed that the seat wasn't covered, only the engine and mechanical parts. The seat is considered a wear and tear item; so after only about 20 hours or less of use and holding a 140 lb. person, the puny seat gave out. I will never purchase another Troy-Bilt mower and the extended warranties aren't worth the paper they're written on. I'm fed up with paying a big price for cheap and inferior products. I wish I had kept my old Bolens mower and put some money into having it fixed. You live and learn!

Original review: May 26, 2018

Bought a Troy-Bilt pressure washer in 2016. Used it once and it was fine. Pulled it out 2017 and it wouldn't start. Can't contact the company because they are only available Monday thru Friday 8 am to 5 pm which would be when we are at work. I might be wrong but I figure most individuals get their pressure washers, lawn mowers, etc out on the weekend when they are off. Fortunately, this is a common problem because there are numerous videos of individuals with the same problem. Finally got it work (remember this is only the second time we have used the machine). Got it out to use today (May 2018) and of course it won't start. I purchased this brand and model because it was "READY START" "Just pull for power". It still looks brand new (garage stored) and we can't afford to spend $$$ to get it fix. It should work. Don't waste your money and evidently your time. I will NEVER buy this brand again.

Original review: May 26, 2018

Followed the instructions on the enclosed Product Registration Sheet that came with my pressure washer... It clearly says, "register Product, and Choose from 2 Free Gifts." Following the instructions, to begin, go to Troybuilt.OnlineProductRegistration.com" I create an account, choose Production Pack as my free gift, and click continue. When, to my surprise, I get a message that says, "By registering your Troy-Bilt pressure washer online, you will be able to select a FREE GIFT. Sorry, the free gift is only available for pressure washers purchased March 2017 or after and generators do not qualify for the gift." Gift is only available for Pressure Washers Purchased after MARCH 2017... Well this is MAY of 2018. I need somebody, smarter than me, to explain the logic of this! I always thought that after means after! Also, there is no reference to this requirement or condition on the enclosed Product Registration sheet, enclosed!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Troy-Bilt?

Original review: May 24, 2018

I purchased a self propelled mower from F&F in April of 2017 for $339 it had a push start because I wanted something a bit easier. The first year it worked great, no issues with any part of it, but the 2nd season it didn't start. I hauled it into F&F and there was a load of mowers there already needing to be fixed, they said 5 weeks out! Mine being under warranty it was rushed a bit and I even called into Troy-Bilt because there was a "guarantee" stating if you need your lawn mowed, they would send someone out to do it. Well after about a week dealing with 2 people on that end, they claim that offer did not exist though I had a card stating it and even sent it as a picture to them. Ended up being on the end of the store who I bought it from but who was to know, it didn't state much on the card, but they didn't seem to know much either.

I got my mower back and like other comments, it was on me because they claimed it was the gas line and not covered though I used the correct gas. The man said most mowers in there were probably for the same thing since they changed the gas line to the new ones. So of course they remove that from the Warranty! I get it home and start and it about dies, something else is going wrong. So back in it goes and it was an issue with the man that fixed it, didn't put things back together properly and the gas leaked all over my garage, seal out of place.

Since getting it back the engine has been running high and low still is not sounding right. It cuts terrible and has a hard time throwing the grass in the bag, just doesn't seem to have enough power like it did the first year. Each time I mow I think I am not going to finish my lawn! I am putting it up for sale and getting something else, this is what I call a "1 yr lawnmower". You buy it cause it looks good but don't expect it to last more than 1 yr... I will probably take it back into service yet again but the problem is, unless they are actually mowing grass, they can't hear the engine and who has the time during peak season to be without a mower for weeks? It has power and seems fine sitting in their garage. I am but one person and to haul this thing in every other week is getting to be a hassle.

Original review: May 21, 2018

I purchased a 20 hp, riding mower in April 2017, I mowed three times this spring all ok, went to start it for the 4th mowing and it started and blew oil and gas out the exhaust. Since I purchased an extended 4 year warranty I called Lowe's for repair. They picked it up and sent it God knows where, I received a call from the repair center telling me it was my fault because I did not use Sta-bil in the gas so I would have to pay for the repairs totaling $316.00. I store all my gasoline equipment with Sta-bil over the winter months (golf cart, weed wacker, push mower, etc.) with no problem. They basically called me a liar!!! I will no longer purchase anything from Lowe's again and certainly not purchase anything the Troy-Bilt makes. Lowe's bumper to bumper warranty is a joke, money down the drain.

Original review: May 20, 2018

I purchased a self propelled Troy-Bilt mower from Lowe’s on 3/18/18 for $279. 2 months l’ve had it and it won’t start. I decided to check the reviews for clues as to why and I find this is a common problem with this brand. Many many complaints citing the same issue to no avail. I am sick over this as I don’t have $300 to just give away! I see that most others haven’t had any luck with exchanges & returns but I’m going to try. Not only will I never purchase this brand again but I will not do business with Lowe’s again either. They have to know this product/brand is defective.

Original review: May 17, 2018

Bought the Troy-Bilt push lawn mower. Paid over 300 for this piece of junk. Started right up out of the box. Used it 2 times. Can’t get it to start. No choke or primer bulb on the mower. Whose bright idea was that. Would never buy anything from them again. Garbage is what it is.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I purchased a Super Bronco tiller in 2017 right before garden season. Ran well. Finished, ran gas out of it, and stored it for winter. Took it out a few days ago to till and it starts and then cuts out or starts and sounds like it's going to shut off when it runs. I owned a Troy-Bilt about 20 years ago. Ran that tiller until it wouldn't start anymore, maybe 15 years. I purchased it directly from Troy-Bilt had it shipped to me. I purchased this at Lowe's and I would never but another Troy-Bilt again. They say that the big box stores sell cheap end but at 800 I don't expect things to be CHEAP. Called Troy-Bilt and they told me I was going to have to pay for the pickup and delivery of the tiller... I will never buy another product from Lowe's or Troy-Bilt again!

Original review: May 14, 2018

I purchased a mower for my husband as a birthday gift less than a year ago. He was about to mow the lawn with his brandy new mower that he was so excited to use and it would not start. He asked our neighbor for help. They tried everything with no avail. I purchased it at my local Lowe's so I called the Lowe's number on my mower and they told me to bring it in and they would send it out for repair. I did just that and when I got there they proceeded to tell me that if they sent it out for repair they would charge me as much as the mower cost so they told me to call Troy-Bilt direct which I then did. Troy-Bilt told me that I could send it for repairs locally but they would most likely also charge me. So less than a year old product has absolutely no guarantee at all. Very disappointed in this company and will most likely never purchase anything from this brand again. So everyone out there do your homework and beware.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I bought the Super Bronco to replace a Bronco I have had for 18 years. I brought it home, put the oil and gas in, it started first time. I started to till and the tiller just wanted to sit there and bog down. I saw the tines going counter to what my old one did. I cannot use this tiller. WHY IN THE WORLD would Troy-Bilt change what worked? They don't garden anyway! I took the tiller back and learned that all Troy-Bilt tillers are counter. I had high respect for Troy-Bilt tillers, but not anymore. I have talked to several people who had the same experience or had talked to a person that knew about the problem. You need to fix the problem and you would sell more tillers.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I bought a Troy-Bilt Grass trimmer 7-6-15. I have had the trimmer only 2.5 years, I started it 2 weeks ago, it ran about 15 seconds and froze, I pulled the starter rope and it would not move. I took it to Lowe's where I bought it and they told me the Warranty had run out, 2 years. So I called Troy-Bilt. While I was talking with the young lady I heard someone laughing, I was so upset that I hung up. I will never buy a Troy-Bilt again.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I saw an ad in Lowe's sale paper for a gas powered tiller (no oil mix) that seemed to be reasonably priced for a sale price... I purchased the tiller from Lowe's, brought it home, took it out of the box, followed the Troy Bilt instructions with the fuel and oil. I started the tiller, it idled okay. I went to the area where I wanted to use the tiller and began to till the ground. (It had rained earlier in the day so the ground was moist). The tiller bogged down in less than 10 seconds. I restarted the tiller and the same happened over and over. I took the tiller to my trusted small engine repairman. My repairman was unable to get the tiller to work properly. I placed this tiller at the curb with a sign hung on it which read "Free Headache." Over the years I have bought troy bilt products in the past with pretty much the same experience as the tiller, but this tiller experience takes the cake. PLEASE DON'T BUY TROY BILT PRODUCTS...

Original review: March 29, 2018

Troy-Bilt 2800 PSI GAS power washer - My husband bought one of these pretty power washers a year and a half ago. He also purchased a three year warranty at this time. We used the washer one time and the second time he wanted to use it, it would not start. He took it in to Lowe's and they sent it off to be fixed. When it came back, they said it was a spring, but Lowe's charge him $79.93 to fix it??? He used it a couple of more times and when he went to start it last Saturday to clean our drive, it would not start again. This washer has been used 3 times and won't start!! Now we have to take it back to Lowe's for them to send off again!!!

Original review: March 22, 2018

Seeing all the negative comments about Troy-Bilt products is disappointing. Because in 2005 I bought a Troy-Bilt 2-stage snow blower and have used it many times since. It always starts quickly and runs flawlessly. I am careful to run the gasoline out of it when snow has stopped falling, so the carburetor stays dry and clean for the off-winter months, then is ready to prime and go when winter snows return. Maybe Troy-Bilt has gone to the "dark" cheap side. Too bad.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

TROY BILT TB TB200 - DO NOT BUY THIS PIECE OF JUNK. My 80 yr old Dad purchased this mower 8 months ago. Used it one time put it up in November. Just took it out to use it. Added fresh fuel and will not start. No choke or throttle control and no Fuel shut-off valve. Only way to run carb empty is to drain tank and run it out. Stupid design. Don't care what they say. It's junk. With the crap fuel we have today you need a fuel shut-off valve. Took it back to Lowe's as it is under warranty. They said warranty covered by TB until extended warranty kicks in after one year. Called TB. They said if it's the carburetor or fuel line it's not covered. Do yourself a favor. DO NOT BUY THIS PIECE OF JUNK. For the same money there are much better units available.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

Troy-Bilt gasoline Pressure Washer SN #1023785176 six months old, will not start. Troy-Bilt refuses to honor the warranty and instead says I should contact Briggs & Stratton for a small engine repair manual. Despite the fact that the Product is clearly labeled Troy-Bilt, they say that it is a Briggs & Stratton product. I did not buy a Briggs & Stratton pressure washer, I bought a Troy-Bilt pressure washer.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

I beg everyone to please do not buy a Troy-Bilt pressure washer (2017) or any of their other product unless you want to be out of all of the money and time that you have invested. You get 90 days on all outdoor equipment at Lowe's hardware and then you have to go to the company which will basically screw you and tell you, "Sorry there's nothing we can do." If you don't believe me continue to read the rest of the consumer reports from all other innocent buyers of this product who have also been screwed...

I will make sure all social media sites are aware of this piece of junk into never purchase a piece of Troy-Bilt equipment. I will make sure my local newspaper is aware of this mess and to share this with anybody and everybody I know any local events that I attend. When walking into a department area selling this kind of equipment I'll let everybody know of my experience and anybody else that reads this I feel that you should do the same if Troy-Bilt has screwed you.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

I purchased a string trimmer and a leaf blower and both products did not perform as one would expect. The blower had no power and was difficult to start. Fortunately Lowe's took this back and returned my money in total. The blower had no power and did not have the power it stated it would. I purchased two string trimmers (one for me and my girlfriend) and both are hard to start. I bought electric starters for both and that helped but that only worked for a short time. The electric starters burnt out even though I followed the instructions to assist with the starting of the trimmer. I would never buy another Troy-Bilt product again.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

Purchased a Troy-Bilt weed eater in July, 2016. Used the thing approx 10 times, and each time I used it, it ran worse. Then early 2017, it would not run at all. Threw the thing away, and replaced it with a Husqvarna, which has run perfectly. Also purchased a Troy-Bilt Leaf blower TB430, early 2017, and had the same problem. The carburetors on these things are NOT adjustable, and are regulated by CARB standards, which apparently work, as these things cannot create pollution of any kind if they won't run. I will never purchase another Troy-Bilt product, as they are a complete waste of money, for only a few hours of run time. I would advise everyone else to follow suit.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

Troy-Bilt lawn Pony tractor 42" 17.5 HP - On Sunday 02/26/2017, I purchased this online from Lowe's with a 3-year extended warranty. On the following Thursday 03/02/2017 they delivered "A" mower. Wrong one. It was a used 15.5 HP and no reverse mowing with no manual. Right headlight bulb was missing. No cover on the air filter, which was filthy as was the engine. I started it and smoke went everywhere. Shut down. Started it again... Nothing. I went to Lowe's and complained. On Friday Lowe's picked up this wrong mower and left me the correct one. On Saturday I cut my lawn... No problem.

On Monday, the belt came off and jammed in the pulleys. Put it back on. Around end of May the blades stopped rotating while blowing leaves off driveway. Repair person picked it up and had to replace the cable that controlled the belt. It had broken. At the end of break in time I changed the oil. I check the oil before every start. On Saturday 07/22/2017 (a bad time of year), I was mowing and the engine started knocking loudly and died and would not restart. The engine had blown. The repair company is about a week and a half behind on repairs and told me it could be up to 3 weeks before I could get it back depending on the problem. I am very disappointed in Lowe's for delivering the wrong mower to begin with and with Troy-Bilt for the state of the tractor.

Troy-Bilt/Briggs and Stratton, after about 3 weeks approved the motor replacement. Then promptly changed their mind and disapproved. It took until the end of September (about 2 months) to get them to admit the cause was not me. They approved the installation of a new motor around 9/30/2017 but with the stipulation that it be a different type. I finally got my mower back with the new motor on October 10. A different type??? Tells me something about the original type installed. Hmmm.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I bought a Troy-Bilt leaf blower (TB35 EC Model Number 41 AS99MS766). Brought it home didn't start. Took it back to Lowe's. They told me to take it to C & K Repair shop. They told me the engine was blown till they ordered a small block for it. Still under warranty. Got it out 3 weeks later. Brought it home it didn't start so I took it to Midwest Power Equipment. They got ahold of Troy-Bilt. They said it was still under warranty. Took it back to Lowe's. The manager at Lowe's did not honor the warranty. Got a hold of Troy-Bilt. They said it's been too long, that the Warranty was no good so I'm sitting here with a brand new Troy-Bilt leaf blower With a blown engine that Troy-Bilt will not honor the Warranty. I talk to 3 supervisors at Troy-Bilt. They said there is nothing they can do. Call. Be careful when you buy Troy-Bilt products. Don't expect them to honor a warranty with it.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

WARNING Do not buy any of these products. I a trimmer from Lowe's. A: They have no parts for it but string. B: I used it 3 times, house kept. Pulled it out this year. Well new carburetor, new fuel build, it's a p.o.s! Warranty dept. Says warranty up. Like wtf. I BOUGHT extended. How about buy it back if you stand behind it! Husqvarna is way better and same money! Should have listened. What a headache Troy-Bilt products are! ANGRY IN CAROLINA.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

So I call about my mower breakdown after less than 2 months. I mention that my son has lawns to mow. He is 16 and mows 2-3 lawns a week (for $) in addition to ours. The customer service rep says, after consulting his superior, that in the last page of the warranty manual that no commercial use is covered. So I am wondering, when the box says it has a 2 year warranty, who reads the whole manual before buying the product? In fact, should I have opened every box on every mower and read every page of the manual before purchasing? I will not buy a Troy-Bilt mower again. They sounded cheap at the store, but I thought I should try it. Now I know they are cheap. Then I look up reviews on Troy-Bilt. In 430 something reviews, the average is a 1 star out of 5. Shame on me this time, but it won't happen again.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

Bronco Riding Mower (Bronco 17-HP Kohler 42) - Design has muffler up front, shrouding does not cover the entire muffler. A 6-inch gap on both sides of the 'hood' and the frame enables leaves and such to get blown in when mowing and immediately catches fire. Brand new mower, used 4 times. Troy-Bilt states "Don't mow over leaves", a pretty impractical thing.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

I bought a brand new 2010 Troy-Bilt riding lawn mower. After only a couple of years, seven to be exact the transmission is gone. Plus they told me the transmission are on back order. What does that tell you. I have replace numerous deck belts and blades on this mower. The cover to where grass blows out has been broken since year two. I cannot even found a replace cover. I will never ever buy another Troy-Bilt product again. That lawn mower should have lasted a lot longer than seven years.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

Well designed mower. Quick and maneuverable. Has feature that when enabled allows mowing in reverse, otherwise a rear moving operation disengages the blade. I have about 3 acres and it takes almost an hour to mow... Love the mower.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

Purchased a Troy-Bilt push mower brand new from Lowe's in Harrisburg PA. Had to return the mower immediately because of engine issues. Purchased extended warranty and then moved to Florida 2 months later and the mower goes out AGAIN! Lowe's in Florida insisted on sending the mower to the warranty company who said the blade which was bent which did not occur during one of the 2 mowings the mower was used for. Wants me to pay $389 to repair a $160 mower. Mower is returned to store and store offers a refund of the $25 warranty only. The brand new mower is sitting in the shed since it is a piece of crap. Will never buy another Troy-Bilt. I did complain to the Better Business Bureau about Lowe's though.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

I've bought 3 weed eaters in the last 7 years. All Troy-Bilt. Same thing keeps happening, won't start or just stops working. I have also bought a troy bilt power washer, 2 years later pump goes out. So now I ask, stop building this ** or build it to last longer than 2 years. I will never buy this ** junk ever again. I also hope everyone can read this.

Troy-Bilt expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Troy Bilt created an innovative rototiller design in 1937 and continues to create quality equipment.

• American built: Troy Bilt equipment is manufactured in the United States.

• Multi-speed: The multi-speed transmissions provide better control during the mowing process.

• Rear engine: Rear engine models offer a compact option for homeowners without a lot of equipment storage space.

• Steel frame: A steel frame adds to the strength and durability of the riding mowers.

• Financing: Troy Bilt offers financing for their riding mowers and equipment.

• Best for: Residential homeowners get a good combination of price and quality.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs