3.80/5

Quit paying for costly home repairs

Quit paying for costly home repairs

536 Troy-Bilt Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

We have had many problems with this riding mower since it was purchased. Today after using mower for a short time, turned mower off to go get a drink of water, came right back out to see the mower in flames. Quickly grabbed fire extinguisher to put it out. Had I not gone right back outside, it would have exploded as the gas tank is right next to motor. Or even worse it could have been back in the garage and would have burned down our home also. Mower is totally destroyed, be very careful if you have one and never never consider buying one! Very dangerous, could kill someone, burnt up quickly!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

Took back to Lowe's to have repaired, 2 weeks later still there. I was to pay $69 for someone to pick it up from the store although I had purchase a warranty. I paid someone else to repair since it would take at least 6 weeks. There was a loud clicking noise but it worked, used it all of 2018. Early part of spring took it in to be repaired, warranty had just ended about a week. Also I pulled cable and it popped into. Had to replace and was told noise was because the Ready Start was sticking and kept engaging while I was cutting grass.

Couple of days after I got the lawnmower back. Of course it started and cut off, this time carburetor had to be replaced. Don't use that often because it's so HOT. 11 August 2019 I was cutting grass and it cut off again. This time the Drive Handle has to be replaced. What NEXT? Only had the lawnmower 2 years. It's only used a couple times a year. I have a Craftsman real cheap for around 14 years, very old but it still works. This TB360 is trash, please don't waste your time or money. I have decided I always need a backup for this particular lawnmower. The place I purchased it from no longer stocks it. Wonder WHY?

Get expert buying tips about Riding Mower delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

Just the facts! I bought a 46” riding mower a yr ago. This is the middle of the second yr and it won’t go into gear. I bought a gas power blower the beginning of this yr, used it 3 times and won’t start. I’m paying now to have it fixed.

Original review: July 22, 2019

This is a second home I've owned in the last 3 years with my Troy-Bilt Super Bronco 50 in. Troy-Bilt recommended service center for me at both of our locations. In both instances, if service center was over 30 miles away. When your lawnmower is broke down and they have to come get it. It gets very expensive. When ordering parts from MTD Troy-Bilt. They're not in a big hurry getting them out to you. Troy-Bilt is not the name or machine I grew up with.

Original review: July 1, 2019

The chipper is too much load for the motor to start with a pull unless you are Hercules; have been unable to use. I can't chat with the company because they don't have a chat. Takes forever to wait to talk with somebody at the company because they "are experiencing an unusually heavy load of calls at this time" or words to that effect. I want to get rid of the unused chipper. W

A. **. Order # **, Dec. 2018.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Troy-Bilt?

Original review: May 27, 2019

I bought my mower from Canadian Tire, brought it home and got it ready to use. It ran for a couple uses then wouldnt start. Had to clean the carb and it's barely run ever since. I used the correct fuel. The worst purchase ever. Emailed Canadian Tire and got 0 response. I'm very disappointed, I've never had issues like this with any other mower or snowblower that I've owned.

Original review: May 25, 2019

I bought a brand new Troy-Bilt 46” riding mower from Lowe's. My experience started out after it was delivered and I had to send it back due to damage. Then another one came and was rusting, then another due to damage and reverse not working. Finally got one that worked or so I thought. Last year the powder coating started to lift up and peel off in sheets. BTTW covered the cost of a brand new lower body, and hood, and some bolt hardware. It was gone in service from July until this year 2019 of February. Got the mower out of my shed to mow on April 25th, and it just stopped working. Then I noticed a manufacturer defect in the new body, that was causing the battery cables to rub. Then it would start, then idle up and down and smoke out of the exhaust. Reverse would work without the safety button being turned on.

I called service advantage and BTTW. Spoke with Katrina ** at BTTW, she put in for a buyout on the mower due to it being repaired 3 times last year and the issues I have now. Then I get a call saying my service appt was canceled and I verbally abused them and they won’t work with me. Mind you I recorded every conversation as they knew and still wouldn’t give me a reason why. I called Service Advantage and they seen all the notes and case numbers, and that the request for a buyout was approved, then it stated I was verbally abusive, then while on the phone with Service Advantage another verbal abuse came up with me and I wasn’t even talking to BTTW. Then the claim was denied.

Out of the blue BTTW put in a request for service, but they didn’t want anything to do with me right??? I waited for a call and got one today, stating the service appt was cancelled again. So I called Service Advantage or Lowe's warranty, and I was told even though I still have a warranty they won’t help me and I’m on my own. Spend your money somewhere else. The mowers are junk, motors lock up from other reviews I’ve seen, electrical issues. They took my $2000 and basically told me to shove it and go against their own policy. So if I want it fixed I have to pay for everything out of pocket. They are liars, have excuses, and are the worst people to deal with.

You would be better off talking to a dog then have them do anything for you. I’m going to contact a lawyer regarding this as it’s in their policy for warranty. Even other brands have a lot of complaints yet my 1992 Craftsman 2 rider was a tank and I never had any issue with that. Minus me selling it for this larger piece of scrap I have in my shed. With the guidelines when you write a review it states it’s my opinion of the business. Well it’s not a opinion. It’s a fact. I wish I could post the videos I have of it shaking all over and blowing white and black smoke out of the exhaust and be able to let you people hear my conversations, on what I was told then a 180 was thrown and now I have nothing.

Original review: May 18, 2019

Got this weed eater last summer. Only used it about 4 times because it was so hard to start after the first initial startup. So if I used it I would not shut it off. Even when having to add trimmer line. After several blisters from pulling the starter cord. And much frustration, I put it in the basement and used my 15 year old Sthil. This season I thought "It's brand new I need to see if I can get it going." I put in new gas and a new spark plug. It still didn't seem to be firing. After more pulling and another blister it finally cranked. I was able to get it to crank 3 more times that day with much pulling and many thoughts of throwing this thing in the trash. Now after all that pulling on the cord the pull cord is hanging up like the spring is about to break. I noticed that Lowe's no longer carries Troy-Bilt products this year. Maybe if they hadn't of carried it last year I wouldn't own this worthless weed eater.

Original review: April 28, 2019

I bought the Bronco version lawn tractor in 2013. Ran well for a while but never did give a smooth cut. Then last year (2018) it started smoking real bad upon start-up and running very rough until blades engaged and then engine would smooth out under that load. My mechanic replaced fuel filter, changed oil and filter, air filter, and fixed oil leak around drain plug. Runs better but still smokes really bad for about 5 minutes after starting. For comparison, I have a '97 Craftsman that still runs like a champ. Have owned this Craftsman, a Cub Cadet, a Murray, and the Troy-Bilt. Troy-Bilt worst one of the bunch by far, will not buy another.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I bought a Zero turn Mustang 34" last May. After 15 hours, it would not start, there was a part cracked in engine, had to be done during transport. Got that fixed told company, never offered me anything. Now I need belts, you can't find them anywhere. When I bought the mower, they never posted a warning saying no replacement parts available. This seems to me to be illegal. How do you sell new mowers and not offer replacement parts. Troy-Bilt is like the phony contractors that come to you after a storm, they take your money and leave. They should not be allowed to sell or operate in America. I thinking about getting a lawyer to see if they are liable.

Troy-Bilt expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Troy Bilt created an innovative rototiller design in 1937 and continues to create quality equipment.

• American built: Troy Bilt equipment is manufactured in the United States.

• Multi-speed: The multi-speed transmissions provide better control during the mowing process.

• Rear engine: Rear engine models offer a compact option for homeowners without a lot of equipment storage space.

• Steel frame: A steel frame adds to the strength and durability of the riding mowers.

• Financing: Troy Bilt offers financing for their riding mowers and equipment.

• Best for: Residential homeowners get a good combination of price and quality.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs