2. Homeowners
  3. Riding Mowers

3.9/5 (418 ratings)

About Troy-Bilt

Troy-Bilt Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Troy-Bilt?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Troy-Bilt?

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

Reliable and dependable lawnmower. It runs smooth and munch lawn as you mow your lawn. Therefore prevents you from having to rake cut grass and saves a lot of time and it's also returns to soil. It also operates well. As long as you keep up with engine oil and clean out filter at the end of day.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2021

We bought our Troy rider several years ago used, it had only been used a couple of times before being sold to us. The gentleman bought the Troy for his wife and she wasn’t interested! It has been a great mower for us but this past year, my husband has been using it to mow several properties, two that are an acre and one three acres. This is putting extraordinary wear and tear on the Troy mower. It’s handling it but I am concerned that it will start having issues in the very near future. The Troy mower does an outstanding job on our lawn. I like the Troy products and if I had the money would definitely buy one again!

Get buying tips about Riding Mower delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2021

Bought the mower in 2018. Still working great. But did have to replace the battery. Also had to repair two of the tires. Thinking the company could improve on the tires. I like the spin off oil filter, makes servicing much easier. The safety features really do the job. I once lost control while mowing over a slope. I slid off the seat and the engine shut down immediately. So glad this mower had these safety features. Great product. I would recommend to a friend.

Original review: July 31, 2021

Best mower for a Zero turn. I highly recommend this mower to anyone who is looking to buy one. We have the Mustang and we mow a few acres with this mower. All it needs is a radio, lights and a canopy and we are set for life. Thanks Troy-bilt for making an awesome mowing mustang-machine.

Original review: July 29, 2021

I use a Troy-Bilt riding mower for work and love it. The mower cuts better than any we have used in the past. The zero turn feature allows for easy maneuverability and cutting. Whenever there are any issues with it, the company readily sends out someone to repair it.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2021

The original steering on both my unit and my neighbors failed after three seasons and also after only one season after mine was replaced. Across three years of trips to the service center we were advised by the local serviceman that he had half a dozen units in for the same problem every season. After multiple contacts with Troy they said and I quote "It's out of warranty, you will have to purchase parts and labor." Don't be misled by reviews written during or after only one season. Don't buy Troy.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2021

When I first bought my home a few years ago I bought a number of Troy-Bilt products for the lawn. I want to go on record that "Troy-Bilt Lawns Products are Garbage" From the String Trimmer, the edger, tiller, to the Lawn Tractor, every single one is rubbish. By the way, the name Troy-Bilt, is misleading. They do not build one single product. They buy the cheapest equipment they can find and slap their label on it. Their support is worse than their products. I am going to try and offload my garbage Troy (didn't_) bilt lawn rubbish at my next garage sale, and use the funds to buy some real lawn equipment. I have found that of all things, Walmart's Black Max outperforms Troy-Bilt hands down at half the price. I replaced the Troy-Bilt string trimmer that failed as soon as it was out of warranty, with a Black Max and have never had a single problem. Bottom line, I wouldn't wish a Troy-Bilt product on my worst enemy.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2021

Do Not buy this product. Had my old Troy-Bilt 42in ride on mower for years and put hundreds of hours on it. Ran like a champ. Recently I blew the transmission so I decided it was time for a new one. Bought one of the Troy-Bilt website and took 6 weeks to get here. Did not work for even one mow. It would run for a few minutes then quit. Start again then quit. Called Troy-Bilt up and said once you put gas in the machine it is considered used and they cannot take it back. They suggested taking it to an authorized dealer which I did.

Apparently under the warranty from Troy-Bilt fuel issues are not covered. Which essentially makes the warranty useless and a nice little clause of not taking responsibility. So I had to pay out of pocket to fix a brand new mower. The governor spring was not working and the fuel filter and Carburetor were all clogged and a mess. Something that should never be the case. So after $1800 plus dollars for the new mower and repairs it will hopefully work. I also found out Troy-Bilt was sold and is a subsidiary of MTD. You can see the quality has deteriorated since this happened. Would not buy again, recommend, and fingers crossed the mower will actually work. Troy-Bilt's website would also not post my review because they said it did not meet their criteria.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2021

Built well, long lasting. I have a zero turn rider and it is awesome. Gets through high grass and cuts even. Each year the machine is serviced. I would buy the same machine in the future.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2021

This Troy-Bilt pony riding mower. Had to have something replaced every time it was used. As much in parts as we paid for it new. We replaced spindle bearings so many times the man at the part store knew me when I came in the door.

Troy-Bilt author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Troy Bilt created an innovative rototiller design in 1937 and continues to create quality equipment.

• American built: Troy Bilt equipment is manufactured in the United States.

• Multi-speed: The multi-speed transmissions provide better control during the mowing process.

• Rear engine: Rear engine models offer a compact option for homeowners without a lot of equipment storage space.

• Steel frame: A steel frame adds to the strength and durability of the riding mowers.

• Financing: Troy Bilt offers financing for their riding mowers and equipment.

Troy-Bilt Company Information