2.43/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

521 Troy-Bilt Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

It only last two year. No help from Troy-Bilt or Lowe where I got it bad block. Do not buy Kohler. They just pass the buck. You will be without a mower and your money. Troy will not do anything. Do not buy a Troy. You will be sorry. Get a good lawn mower that will last more than two years.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

This leaf blower is one of the strongest on the consumer market in terms of amount of air it moves. It does a nice job. I have had it for about 2 years and use it mainly to blow leaves in the fall: probably 20 hours/year. Just tuned it up, but after a couple of hours or use the clear plastic on the blower nozzle cracked completely off, making it unusable. Could not find just the parts I need to replace, I need to buy a whole new assembly at a much high price. Poor design or manufacturing as the plastic should be able to withstand the force of the blower, for more than about 40 hours. The blower was not stored in sunlight or exposed to chemicals which could degrade plastic. Seems unacceptable.

Get expert buying tips about Riding Mower delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I bought a Troy-Bilt riding mower this May 2018. It's fuel Injected, no carb issues. Motor runs well, but battery didn't last the season. Mower deck is the poorest designed and build ever in history. Troy-Bilt engineers are clearly dropouts, that are still drunk. It can't cut grass over an inch. It can't be adjusted over 1.5 inches, so if you want to mow every 2 days, then this is the mower for you. Mower deck drops down on its own, and scalps lawn in many places. My lawn looks like it got attacked by a Renegade Flowbee. Never again will I buy or even use a Troy-Bilt product.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I purchased this tractor in August 2016 from Troy-Bilt.com. There was a minor issue after one month. Troy-Bilt covered it completely. So, I couldn't use it for 2 months. Since, then worked very well until September 2018. The acceleration was lagging. So, called customer service, told them it's just a month out of warranty but lost 2 months during earlier repair. The 1st rep was not very helpful and said, I should get it inspected at authorized repair center and they would review based on nature of repair. So, I hired a local technician, who determined it's transmission failure. So, I called Troy-Bilt, this rep said, "It won't be covered." I called again, and got in touch with an amazing gentleman Rob, who said, since I lost 2 months of service during original warranty, they will cover this one time, if it's a manufacturing defect. In all fairness, I said ok and transported it to the nearest authorized repair center.

Just learned yesterday that Troy-Bilt changed the transmission and fixed the riding mower at no cost for me. This definitely shows their commitment and efforts should be commended. Also, I suggest that Troy-Bilt offer an extended warranty for an additional price like John Deere, Cub Cadet etc. do even on basic models. All in all, I had a great experience with Troy-Bilt and would strongly recommend them. If you think you have a genuine and fair concern and if a customer service rep is not helpful, please speak with manager. In my case, they were fair and will commend them for that.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I bought the Troy-Bilt TB 22/46 hydraulic lawn tractor in July 2011. Today is Nov. 19, 2018. Today the lawn tractor burnt to a crisp. I was mulching leaves when I shut the engine and emptied the leaf bags (also Troy-Bilt). I turned around to mount and start the lawn tractor and noticed a fire under the hood. I called the fire department. The fire department put the fire out but it had quickly burnt to a crisp. I called Troy-Bilt and explained what had happened and they offered me a 5 percent discount on my next equivalent lawn tractor.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Troy-Bilt?

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

Fuses have blow. Brakes do not work for any longer than a year, always need repair. Many new cables replacements. Forever need carb clean. Replace Transmissions now. This thing is only 5 years old. It is a big piece junk. Will not ever buy from Troy-Bilt again. A big money hole that is for sure.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

Bought a Troy-Bilt leaf blower at Canadian Tire. If the product doesn't work you have to return to a dealer you can't return to the store. My leaf blower worked for two minutes and stalled. Tried again stalled. Looked at the unit and there was oil leaking out. Phoned the warranty line and they sent me to a dealer. Got there and they said it was three weeks before they could look at it! Really rude about it too. He called Troy-Bilt a piece of garbage. Phoned the help line back. They got me a dealer that would look at it about a half an hour away. Took it there. He took it - said the fuel filter was installed wrong in the factory. Said he fixed it. Took it home. Still the same problem - leaking oil and stalls. Stay away from this company. They are a rip off.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

CHEAP: That best describes this Chinese-made 2,000.00 mistake. The mower chute broke at the Lowe's while their crew was loading it (also metal is so flimsy the back bent beneath the seat) and I had to re-attach the chute when I got it home. I use my tractor year round, and the cart that came with it had parts from two different carts (had to cobble it together). I haul wood from the pile to the back door all winter, so it doesn't get put away in fall. I noticed that (when started) it started running at higher and higher RPM's (couldn't decelerate it). I called Lowe's, waste of time, - and Kohler. The Kohler tech chuckled! 'Oh, that's the cheap Chinese Carburetors, they jamb-up if you don't drain the tank in the fall!' He recommended I turn it in for service, but when I tried was told it would be August before they could work on it (it was now May!) – OR - I could take it someplace else and pay to have it repaired (no reimbursement).

NO CHOICE - So I went out to my shed to start it/back it out, - it started, revved way-high (the Governor failed) and exploded! Parts flew out the back of the engine block and oil cascaded all over everything in the shed! I called just about every warranty place in the state and finally found one that could take it and fix it within a month. THAT'S when I got the surprise $180.00 bill (KOHLER put the Carb on the engine, but would not cover it. They charged me for that! And (in the end) it was 'Pay-up or you don't get your machine back!') My son took it out of the shed yesterday and - it's back doing the same thing again (but THIS TIME -NO WARRANTY). I will have to either replace the Carb with a better, U.S. built one I found on a Forum, or figure out a way to correct the butterfly shaft freeze -up on this one.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I am a disable vet so bought a Troy-Bilt Pony riding mower. Kept oil changed and filter changed. Still looks new. Was mowing and valves blew. Almost caught on fire. Called Troy-Bilt. They said, "Sorry we don't cover engine. It's a Briggs and Stratton. They only guarantee for 1 yr. We aren't responsible for engine". I asked if you have a contract with them for the engine then you should stand behind it. No they don't and don't care. Would never buy from them again. Engines within a yr start having problems buy John Deere at least. They care about all of their products. Poor customer service from Troy-Bilt. Takes your money and that's all.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

Picked this mower out for my parents and bought the same model for myself after my mower died! Within 2 years dad was complaining about front adjustment dropping down. Found front axle was not holding in place, plastic tabs had warped and axle settled to side causing one side of mower being quarter to half inch low and front height adjustment to fall out of place easily. I found front cover 731-11699 and front height adjustment plate 787-01818-0637 online, not through Troy-Bilt, but genuine parts for parents' mower.

After this I checked my own mower and found same problems! I called Troy-Bilt and they sent parts for price of shipping. Now both mowers are doing same thing, obvious manufacturers defect! Troy-Bilt will only do %15 percent off parts now, I can get them cheaper through mower parts online, but don't want to pay for cheap parts that will fail within next year or 2. Troy-Bilt was very unhelpful and aren't taking responsibility for bad part design, I will never buy Troy-Bilt again!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

I bought this mower about 3 years ago. It was great for about a year. After that I had constant issues with it starting and running properly. I have cleaned the carb. Replaced may parts and have to do maintenance every time I want to use it. I will NEVER buy another. My push mower I bought 6 months ago popped yesterday and I think it may be the motor. I will tinker for a bit to see if I can get it going but will NOT buy another.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I bought the TB6044 XP trimmer in June 2018. Used it only maybe 10 times between June and today. I was happily using it in my garden and the engine just died less than 10 minutes into it. The pull string to start the engine just stopped working and it won't recoil back. I can't start the engine. Lowe's said the product is under 3 year warranty but they can't help me. I need to send it to a Troy-Bilt service. I am out here on my own.

P.s. I bought the same said trimmer 2 years ago. The first time this happened, I figured it's user error since I always have keep pulling the string many times before I can get the engine to start. So I bought another one this June and the same product broke in the same area. Shame on me for believing in your products. I'm stuck with a useless product. How did this product pass the QA process amazes me. I am disappointed. Very low quality product.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

Engine failure was not covered by warranty. Lowe's claimed lack of lubrication. Not true. It was lubricated per instructions in owner's manual. Engine was clearly defective. Lowe's unfairly refused to honor warranty.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

Was looking for a rider. Went to TSC, waited and waited AND FINALLY left. Decided to go to Farm Store, seen Troy-Bilt, was happy what we saw and decided to buy it then... thanks. The ladies there were very nice.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

About a year ago I purchased a Troy-Bilt weed eater. Several weeks ago I had to take it to a repair shop to have someone look at it. I was told that the cylinder or pistons (not sure which) had scratches on it and that it had low compression. The repairman stated that if he got it running again that it would just die for good after a few times of use. I use the recommended 2-cycle oil & gas treatment and have done nothing on my end to damage the unit. The repairman said that it was just normal wear and tear, and that it was nothing I did that broke it. After telling the repairman that it was still under warranty, he said good luck trying to get Troy-Bilt to replace it. He said that Troy-Bilt is a cheap machine and that they go out very easily. He also said that he had about 30 of them in the back that he was working on trying to repair.

I contacted the Troy-Bilt customer service about the warranty and they would not do anything for me. The rep said that the repairman stated on the invoice that it was normal wear and tear and that it voided the warranty. If the unit became damaged and it wasn't my fault, the only thing it could be was normal wear and tear. I WILL NEVER buy a Troy-Bilt again.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

I have never regretted a purchase more in my life. Lawnmower can do's. Cut short dry grass. Lawnmower can't do's. Cut long grass. Cut damp grass. Cut grass within 3 days of rain. I have had to watch Youtube videos several times in order to take apart and fix. Very cheap parts under the sleek cover. Customer support is no help.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

I have bought a brand new Troy-Bilt riding lawn mower 3 years ago, and I have had problems after problems with it. I have called Troy-Bilt customer service, and I have tried to explain to them about the problems I have had with this mower, and they just keep giving me the runaround. This is my first Troy-Bilt riding lawnmower and my last one. I will never own another Troy-Bilt product.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I ordered a part for my Troy-Bilt Pony on a Saturday and asked that it be shipped NEXT DAY air. I was not told that they do not ship on the weekends, so I paid extra for no reason. When the part did not arrive by Monday, I made a call; they informed that they do not ship on the weekend, and that it had been sent that day. Two days later, I went thru the same thing; after their apology they re-ordered the part for me. It is now Saturday and I still have not part. THE PARTS DEPARTMENT IS SHAMEFUL and the department head should be REPLACED!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

This is about Model TB6044XP Trimmer is junk. I have had this Trimmer for 2 or 3 years and used it at the most 5 times. Because the rope pull starter will not engage to crank the motor. I have put new oil pan assembly and it done the same thing. The cogs that engage on the fan comes off and to replace them you have to buy the oil pan assembly. I would rate this product negative 10 if I could but it will only let me use one star.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

The mower is a 46" deck 19-HP bought at Lowe's. There is not enough deck height adjustment for most lawns in Florida. It is as high as it will go and is still too short. Blades do not overlap so you have to overlap your cutting pattern to compensate. Next mower will be a better quality one.

Original review: July 29, 2018

I purchased a Troy-BIlt 2,800 PSI pressure washer at Lowe's in July of 2017. It was used one time that year for about 2 hrs. Come fall, I ran the engine until it ran out of gas and disconnected all hoses and tilted the machine to empty any water in pump. Brought it in my heated basement over the winter and covered it with a canvas drop cloth. This spring, I got it out to use it and a couple of problems occurred. I gassed it up with fresh gas. Checked oil and brought it outside. I had one heck of a time getting it started. After finally getting it started, hooked everything up to it to use it.

At first it worked great. After about 10 minutes the pressure dropped drastically. I checked for kinked hoses and nothing. Then I saw water pouring out of the bottom of the machine. The CHEAP cast aluminium pump outlet started leaking like mad at the seam. I brought it back to Lowe's and they would not replace it. It has a 2 year warranty. Lowe's told me they would send it out to have it repaired. A week later I got a call from Lowe's telling me it would cost me $380.00 to have it repaired. I reminded them it had a 2 year warranty. They basically told me, "TOO BAD!" I will never buy another Troy-Bilt machine of any kind and will never do any more business with Lowe's.

Original review: July 27, 2018

I have a Troy-Bilt Pony, had it for 5 years, and mow a couple of acres. Never had a problem until I ran over a stump for the thousandth time. Had to have the deck leveled, cost $50.00. Other than that, change the oil once a year and put gas in the tank. I love that thing, it's just a workhorse!

Original review: July 27, 2018

My TB30 is very safe, starts every time, and is comfortable to operate. It mows evenly and needs only standard maintenance. I have owned it for 3 years and have had absolutely zero problems.

Original review: July 26, 2018

Runs a long time and don't need much maintenance. I believe it will lasts years. It's well built and has great durability. I would recommend this product to anyone and everyone I come across.

Original review: July 25, 2018

It is not the best mower in the world but it is good. I have had the mower for about 2 years and has done me well. The price was not bad at all. If I get another one, it would be the same.

Original review: July 25, 2018

This was my first new lawn tractor purchase. I'm very happy with this product. I lucked out to have gotten a free trailer with purchase. More + for me.

Original review: July 24, 2018

Cruddle wobbly and belt keeps coming off motor. Try to start it up then freezes then have to open up hood while sitting on it turning it with my hand to get it to turn over. Nice. Right now I know why they gave me free little wheelbarrow trailer. Have to keep sanding and painting spots on it from rusting. Had a Cub Cadet too. Another piece of junk and went in the garbage. I guess you do get what you pay for junk.

Original review: July 24, 2018

We purchased it used, it gave us 13 yrs with little maintenance. Our son loved it as a mud runner, when it rained. Yes, the mower deck was removed. But he loved that mower for several years after the mowing deck had seen its better days and was removed.

Original review: July 23, 2018

2013 model Troy-Bilt Pony. Had trouble with... mower deck, power and deck belts, battery, carb, muffler and overall durability. Had to replace many parts. I would NEVER buy a Troy-Bilt again!

Original review: July 23, 2018

Initially had a problem with the delivery. However, the manager took care of the delayed delivery and I was completely satisfied with the remedy. I was even able to upgrade to a 46" from a 42" and I was happy about that. The manager was very apologetic and willing to make the customer happy at all cost. I'm very satisfied with this purchase and I am glad I chose this particular establishment to deal with.

Troy-Bilt expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Troy Bilt created an innovative rototiller design in 1937 and continues to create quality equipment.

• American built: Troy Bilt equipment is manufactured in the United States.

• Multi-speed: The multi-speed transmissions provide better control during the mowing process.

• Rear engine: Rear engine models offer a compact option for homeowners without a lot of equipment storage space.

• Steel frame: A steel frame adds to the strength and durability of the riding mowers.

• Financing: Troy Bilt offers financing for their riding mowers and equipment.

• Best for: Residential homeowners get a good combination of price and quality.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs