Troy-Bilt

Compare Riding Mowers

Research top Riding Mowers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I purchased from Lowe's last summer a Troy-Bilt riding mower. I bought this mower because Sears wanted 100.00 to deliver a new mower. I wish I had paid the 100.00. I am actually afraid to use this mower. It shakes and rattles. It's awful. Had to have it repaired. This week he balanced the blades and something about a pulley and he said you get what you pay for. I'm still afraid of it still shakes and rattles. My Craftsman lasted for years and had 2 repairs on it. I miss it. Won't buy anymore Troy-Bilt products.

I purchased a brand new Troy-Bilt mower in Feb. 2016 from Lowe's. In May 2017 the PTO (Power transmission) cable snapped. A month later the steering shaft gear failed. When I inspected it, it was completely shorn and the steering wheel just spins around. I'm very surprised and disappointed at the poor quality of the mower, especially since it is so new. Too bad since I like the way the mower cuts grass, but I would not recommend that anyone buy a Troy-Bilt mower.

Bought a Troy-Bilt 42" Zero Turn Mower from Lowe's in June of 2016. The main reason I bought it was salesman said it had a 3 year full warranty. In less than a year I had to put 2 sets of blades on it and then in May of 2017 the starter solenoid went out and the deck broke at the chute. I called Troy-Bilt and they sent me to local business to repair under warranty. When I took it in Troy-Bilt refused to honor the warranty on deck. I will not buy another Troy-Bilt product.

I bought a Troy-Bilt Bronco riding mower in 2009. It was the biggest piece of junk that I ever owned. It threw or burned up a drive belt or mower belt at least once a year. I had a 15 year old Craftsman mower that I never replaced a belt on. I honestly bought extra belts and springs for this mower since it was constantly having an issue. I would like to say that my issues were only limited to belt issues but I also had issues with wheel joints as well. Do not buy Troy-Bilt riding mowers from Lowe's. Trust me -- you will regret it. Spend an extra $1000 and buy a John Deere as 240 model. That's what I did.

Purchase the new home and July 4th 2016 decide to buy me a riding mower Bronco Troy-Bilt and also a push mower. It's been a total of 11 months now and both of them are broken down. The riding mower spews oil all over the place and thick white smoke. The push mower also spews thick white smoke. I have had these two items less than a year. Find it very difficult to find a repairman to do in-home service. I'm having difficulties finding my receipt so I can't get any help but I'm going to keep looking for this receipt if it's the last thing I do.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Troy-Bilt?

3 years ago I bought a Troy-Bilt lawn mower from Lowe's. Every year I have had to take it in for new fuel lines, carb and spark plugs. I have done everything they told me to do for storing it to the fuel lines. The damn thing still will not start. Troy-Bilt or Briggs and Stratton say there nothing they can do for me. I WILL NEVER BUY A TROY-BILT PRODUCT OR SOMETHING WITH A BRIGGS AND STRATTON ENGINE IN IT. THEY ARE ALL A BIG PIECE OF **. Do not buy them!!!

I had a Troy-Bilt trimmer which was pretty good. The battery no longer holds a charge so I went looking for a replacement. The battery was not only discontinued but Troy-Bilt has no replacement! Basically, the only way to replace the battery is to buy an entirely new unit! The service representatives at Troy-Bilt confirmed that as well. So, while I will buy a new trimmer, it will not be a Troy-Bilt. If they did that with one model, what is to stop that from being their normal process?

I took my power washer in to be repaired and told to call back in a week. I called back and was told it wasn't back yet but she would look into it. Then I get a callback and she tells me it would be another week and it was covered under warranty and back in another week. I call the next week and was told it still wasn't back and was not covered. How can one person tell you it is covered and the other it is not covered? But the kicker is they want $369 TO REPAIR IT AND THE MACHINE ONLY COST ME $300 NEW?

Purchases 2016 Troy-Bilt hydrostatic horse from Lowe's last May... had 34 days. Wouldn't move. Troy-Bilt did pay to have it picked up. Replaced drive belt. Cool. Now go out 2nd time this season. Mower made a funny sound but still was running. I cut off. Waited 20 minutes. Checked oil. Was full. So started up. Throttle half way and a heard a big clunk. Mower still was running. Cut off and looked under oil everywhere. Raised hood and a 6x6 piece of motor laying on deck. SMH. Problem now. When you call Troy-Bilt they send you to Kohler. Kohler sends you to dealer. Dealer says our hands are tied until warranty people. Meanwhile I said PEOPLE contact them. SMDH. Do runaround for over an hour. Finally Lowe's gets involved. Now waiting for 24 hrs for return call from warranty company. SMH. DO NOT BUY TROY-BILT. CRAPPY CUSTOMER SERVICE.

I purchased a brand new Troy-Bilt TB110 mower from a local dealer. Brought the mower home, open it up, read the setup instructions and proceeded to attempt to start it. Nothing. Checked the fuel line, checked the spark plug (good spark) and the intake. All seemed OK but the mower would not start. Returned the mower to the dealer and got another brand new TB110. Same exact problem!! It will not start no matter what I do. The product guarantees the mower will start in 2 pulls. I pulled 25 times off and on over an hour. There is no choke or throttle adjustment on this model because it is a 'ready start' foolproof system. Sadly I went online and found that this is a problem with Troy-Bilt mowers these days. Biggest piece of junk I have ever bought. It is going back to the store and I am buying a Husky.

Purchased a Troy-Bilt lawn trimmer last summer and it has been nothing but trouble. Hard to start, shut off in the middle of trimming (when it does start), three trips to the "certified service technician" and now it will not start again. Done with Troy-Bilt. A MONKEY WITH A CRAYON COULD DESIGN A BETTER TRIMMER. Thanks for nothing. I would have given less than one star, but your system won't let me.

Three years ago I purchased a 175 CC power sprayer from Lowe's and used it once. The next time I tried to use it but it wouldn't start. I spend $100 and have the carb rebuilt and use it once. Got it out again yesterday to wash the house again and it refuses to start. Junk - yes. I drain the fuel after each use and store it indoors.

Troy Bilt Horse XP riding mower - When cutting grass the lawn mower will run for about two rounds and then will sound like it is running out of gas and it will be full and then just cut itself off. Numerous parts have been replaced and this doing it. Has been like this for 2 years now and the mower isn't but 3 years old.

April of 2016 I bought a Troy-Bilt trimmer. After only 8 uses the head stopped turning. Took it in to a repair shop and was told the gears are worn out. There was no teeth left on them. Took it to Lowe's and got a replacement. Used it 3 times and put it up for winter. I followed the owner's guide for winter storage. Got it out for the first time this year and it will not stay running. It runs for a short time with the choke on, but as soon as you take the choke off, it dyes. I bought this piece of crap because of the reputation they had. Now I don't think it is worthy of setting on fire. BIGGEST waste of money I've ever had.

The steering shaft had to be replaced after one year of use and it's not repairable. The metal is walled out and welding will not hold to this cheap crap. The woman who bought it has very little funds and unfortunately bought it at a box store which do not sell equipment built for rural areas. Don't buy anything from a box store for your lawn if you live outside a city. Cheap disposable equipment I would not sell to a third world country much less Americans. Troy-Bilt products blow dead bears!

I bought two New Troy-Bilt mowers at the end of the summer in 2015, I have had nothing but trouble with them... The riding mower stays engage all the time or it won't engage at all. And now it runs on high because I can't get to go from fast to low. The push mower won't run at all, took it to the shop last summer and had it worked on and when I got it back it still wasn't running right and now it won't run at!!! It is a shame when you spend that kind of money on mowers that you can't even mow with. When you go buy something new you don't want to have something wrong with every time you try to mow!! I can't afford to have them fixed every time I need to mow!! And I can't afford to throw money away like that. So I got a new push mower I can only look and a riding mower that never runs right... Y'all's mowers are a piece of crap. That is how I feel about them!!!

First purchase... Out of the box and would not start. Took it back to Lowe's and after a laborious effort got another one. Amazingly, the engine started right off every time but on 3rd or 4th use one of the wheel locks (for adjusting the deck height) came loose and the deck was touching the ground on one side. After spending 2-3 hrs to fix, realized the deck got a little bent... The front cheaply-made plastic (apron) lost its shape and the whole machine does not move well.

Called Troy-Bilt customer support (located in Dallas, TX) - Rose had not any tech experience and her supervisor Amanda was super-defensive, interrupting me all the time... Just the wrong person to talk to. I will be taking the mower back to Lowe's and try to forget the whole nightmare. All in all, although the Honda engine seems very well built (strong, quite, efficient) the rest of the mower is just bad quality. Combining that with ugly customer service and you got me a lost customer FOREVER on any Troy-Bilt product.

Bought a Troy Bilt mower from Lowe's. Used it two times last season. Got it out for this season and it will not start. The couple times it did start, it would rev up and down and sounded horrible then would just die. Took it to Lowe's with my receipt (less than 10 months) and was told their policy was 30 days. How can you tell if a lawn mower is good in 30 days. Asked for an exchange to a nice model and would pay the difference. NOPE. It has to be repaired. Looked this particular model up online and saw it had hundreds of bad reviews. DO NOT BUY THIS PIECE OF CRAP! I will no longer shop at Lowe's or buy a Troy Bilt product.

I have a Troy-Bilt TB685EC, which came with the string loaded. I got it late summer last year, and used it a couple of times. Got it back out today and of course the string broke off inside the head. What a nightmare getting the tap head off! Once the string was removed, following the manual instructions explicitly, I struggled for more than 45 minutes to get the new string in. The manual stated to use 20 feet of 0.095 string. The spool would only accommodate about 12 feet, and it never did go all the way thru the housing like the manual says. So I threaded in from both sides, and that was an equal pain in the ass. Once that was accomplished, I was able to use the trimmer for about five minutes before the string broke off, inside the head again. I'm going back to Craftsman. The last craftsman I had lasted almost 15 years. This Troy-Bilt is a piece of crap!

On 3-24-17 my husband was backing our Troy-Bilt Zero Turn Rider XP Mustang out of our building. Suddenly he realized the whole back end was on fire! The zero turn is totalled and there was significant damage to the building. Thank God we had a fire extinguisher as the gas tank swelled and almost exploded. Thank God my husband was able to get off of the mower and it wasn't my 13 year old son. I filed a complaint with Troy-Bilt and was given an incident number. I was transferred to the next level of customer support but when I spoke to the guy he stated that seeing the mower was 5 years old it wasn't "their process" to handle and that I was out of luck. He could have cared less that my husband was almost killed and what could have happened he took no ownership in.

Not to mention, he spoke down to me as a female making a complaint. He was such a jerk to me on the phone that when I finally hung up - I was shaking. His name was Shaun with Tech Support. I rate Troy-Bilt customer service a zero. This was a serious incident and they took absolutely no ownership. A simple act of empathy would have went a long way however as a privately owned company their actions were cold.

For work purposes, for my crew I have bought 20ish Troy-Bilt 4 stroke weed eaters... due to crew issues some kind of failure was my thought. I did buy one for my personal use, plus all attachments... like all of them. Normally they have their issues here and there. I personally like the 4 strokes for the main purpose of not having to mix gas which can confuse some people.

I have never had a equipment failure that I didn't attribute to operator error until today... my personal 4-stroke weed eater decided to stall the pull start portion. This was after taking a trip to replace the gas line after sitting for a year. If 1 year is the life expectancy of the Troy-Bilt products, then this one lived up to standards. I guess I should respool the 15yr old McCulloch weed eater that still starts and runs, but I decided the Troy-Bilt 4-stroke was the better choice... didn't think they were a disposable brand. I really thought better of this brand. I guess unless you are ok buying new every year, should look to another brand.

I have bought five Troy-Bilt TB685 weed eaters over the past 6 years. My neighbor bought two on my word. He had to buy a new at about 18 months because of the pull start. I bought three two stokes and most recently 2 four strokes. Same as my neighbor. First one the pull start broke. Second one pull start broke. One of the two four strokes Lowe's replaced as a courtesy. The most recent is just over a year old and now the input shaft sheared off. Done with them.

I am sooo mad at your company. I bought a blower and it was the best hung you ever bought. First pull and never stalls. I bought the 4 stroke whipper snipper. After 2 months couldn't keep it running. Then starter broke. Took to get repaired and got told CIA more to fix than replace. Went back to store and got another. 1 month later won't start. Took to repair shop and they said waste of time, couldn't figure out what happened, doesn't work.

After throwing across the road and smashing to **, I now do not have a weed eater. I PLAN on stop losing the same amount of money I did buying my 2 pieces of shot advertising. How ** they are. I can't afford the keep buying these. Now the stupidest d store I bought your garbage from Masters is closed down. I am very disappointed and will do whatever it takes to make sure everyone be knows. Thanks for nothing Troybuilt.

Purchased a Troy-Bilt Rear Wheel Drive Lawnmower from Lowe's April 2016 for $369. By second use a loud metal noise was coming from deck. There were no twigs or branches caught in the blades. I brought it back to Lowe's, but they sent me to a Warranty dealer (90 day) for repair. After 4 weeks in the Repair shop could find nothing wrong with it. Noise continued. Lawnmower use about 6 times throughout summer. Noise continued but it kept cutting. In September the Start pull cord broke and unit would not start. It is now in the shop for repairs for which I will have to pay. Contacting a human at Troy-Bilt is impossible. Phone #'s keep referring you elsewhere. This Lawnmower is garbage and I will tell everyone I know this fact. Will never buy Troy-Bilt again for ANYTHING.

I bought a string trimmer and it lasted until the 3rd use. I took it into 3 different authorized service centers and they could not even get a call back from Troy Bilt for repair authorization. Bottom line I got screwed and wasted my money. At the same time I bought the string trimmer I also purchased a hand held blower that lasted 1 year. Same issue, not worth fixing and the warranty and extended warranty sold by the dealer are worthless.

I still have a Troy Bilt mower but when that goes which it will shortly I am sure I will never purchase a Troy-Bilt product again. Interesting two of the authorized service companies have stopped even trying to service these products. The stack of complaints that they both had and open tickets waiting for authorization to repair was in the 100's. Purchase and you will regret it.

2007 Big Red Horse GT. Best tractor that I have ever had!!! I have used this tractor every season (spring, summer and fall) on my 1 acre property since 2007 with only a few minor repairs (steering gear was replaced after 7 years and a few flat tires and batteries over the years which is to be expected - I have black locust trees with thorns and I finally bought a battery maintainer so the batteries should last longer). Solid frame and deck are practically indestructible. The Intek V-twin has great compression with no oil leaks anywhere and has plenty of power for any task from mowing heavy and tall grass to pulling lawn equipment.

I have long since lost the receipt and that is the reason for my review not having the "Verified Buyer" label. But trust me, Troy-Bilt tractors are a great value (I also own the 30 inch rear engine model). The key is to make sure that you perform the maintenance right and I think that is the reason why many people tend to have problems and then come here to complain.

The string trimmer engine developed a habit of dying and being impossible to restart without long cooling-off periods. I've owned it now for about 40 days. It has been in my hands 5 days and at the authorized repair shop 35 days. Don't buy anything called Troy-Bilt!!

2014 Mustang 50" RZTL50 Zero Turn Mower - Purchased new from Lowe's. 1st 60-days a defective engine cylinder oiler. After one year of operation, 3-failed spindle bearing assemblies, 4-sets blades so far. Troy said they only warranty wear parts for 30-days out the door. What a joke. Parts will wear out after 1st year of use and can cost as much as $500 or more. Furthermore, they don't have a lot of loyal dealers that want to work on them. So if you buy their product you're on your own as far as warranty... FYI, Lowe's doesn't carry any parts for it and looks like they may even drop them altogether. I will sell this one and buy a different brand next year.

After using the lawnmower three times it will not start! Was told the gas line was clogged and not under warranty. Called a dealer who I have worked with on other lawnmowers and he did fix it. Problem - misaligned valves and it cost me $73.00. I have contacted Briggs and Stratton and they are reviewing my claim. I see others are making the same complaint. I do expect the lawnmower to quit after another three times and at that point I try to return it to the place where I bought. From what others say about this motor it is only good for junk and they build it in the USA??? Also try calling them and put on hold for 15 min!

Daughter bought her father a 2015 Pony. He is 74 and push mower getting to be too much. From the second mow he has had nothing but trouble with it quitting in the middle of the mow, to blades. The most worthless company and products available. He has paid for and had Lowe's pick it up, take it to repair center, paid for their repairs, and paid to have it returned. Now the fourth mow of this season and it has quit again and will not start. DO NOT buy any Troy-Bilt product and don't attempt to get Troy-Bilt help. Everything is your fault, you did something wrong, etc.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Troy Bilt created an innovative rototiller design in 1937 and continues to create quality equipment.

• American built: Troy Bilt equipment is manufactured in the United States.
  • Multi-speed: The multi-speed transmissions provide better control during the mowing process.
  • Rear engine: Rear engine models offer a compact option for homeowners without a lot of equipment storage space.
  • Steel frame: A steel frame adds to the strength and durability of the riding mowers.
  • Financing: Troy Bilt offers financing for their riding mowers and equipment.
  • Best for Residential homeowners get a good combination of price and quality.

Compare Riding Mower