Troy-Bilt

Compare Riding Mowers

Research top Riding Mowers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Troy Bilt Horse XP riding mower - When cutting grass the lawn mower will run for about two rounds and then will sound like it is running out of gas and it will be full and then just cut itself off. Numerous parts have been replaced and this doing it. Has been like this for 2 years now and the mower isn't but 3 years old.

April of 2016 I bought a Troy-Bilt trimmer. After only 8 uses the head stopped turning. Took it in to a repair shop and was told the gears are worn out. There was no teeth left on them. Took it to Lowe's and got a replacement. Used it 3 times and put it up for winter. I followed the owner's guide for winter storage. Got it out for the first time this year and it will not stay running. It runs for a short time with the choke on, but as soon as you take the choke off, it dyes. I bought this piece of crap because of the reputation they had. Now I don't think it is worthy of setting on fire. BIGGEST waste of money I've ever had.

The steering shaft had to be replaced after one year of use and it's not repairable. The metal is walled out and welding will not hold to this cheap crap. The woman who bought it has very little funds and unfortunately bought it at a box store which do not sell equipment built for rural areas. Don't buy anything from a box store for your lawn if you live outside a city. Cheap disposable equipment I would not sell to a third world country much less Americans. Troy-Bilt products blow dead bears!

I bought two New Troy-Bilt mowers at the end of the summer in 2015, I have had nothing but trouble with them... The riding mower stays engage all the time or it won't engage at all. And now it runs on high because I can't get to go from fast to low. The push mower won't run at all, took it to the shop last summer and had it worked on and when I got it back it still wasn't running right and now it won't run at!!! It is a shame when you spend that kind of money on mowers that you can't even mow with. When you go buy something new you don't want to have something wrong with every time you try to mow!! I can't afford to have them fixed every time I need to mow!! And I can't afford to throw money away like that. So I got a new push mower I can only look and a riding mower that never runs right... Y'all's mowers are a piece of crap. That is how I feel about them!!!

First purchase... Out of the box and would not start. Took it back to Lowe's and after a laborious effort got another one. Amazingly, the engine started right off every time but on 3rd or 4th use one of the wheel locks (for adjusting the deck height) came loose and the deck was touching the ground on one side. After spending 2-3 hrs to fix, realized the deck got a little bent... The front cheaply-made plastic (apron) lost its shape and the whole machine does not move well.

Called Troy-Bilt customer support (located in Dallas, TX) - Rose had not any tech experience and her supervisor Amanda was super-defensive, interrupting me all the time... Just the wrong person to talk to. I will be taking the mower back to Lowe's and try to forget the whole nightmare. All in all, although the Honda engine seems very well built (strong, quite, efficient) the rest of the mower is just bad quality. Combining that with ugly customer service and you got me a lost customer FOREVER on any Troy-Bilt product.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Troy-Bilt?

Bought a Troy Bilt mower from Lowe's. Used it two times last season. Got it out for this season and it will not start. The couple times it did start, it would rev up and down and sounded horrible then would just die. Took it to Lowe's with my receipt (less than 10 months) and was told their policy was 30 days. How can you tell if a lawn mower is good in 30 days. Asked for an exchange to a nice model and would pay the difference. NOPE. It has to be repaired. Looked this particular model up online and saw it had hundreds of bad reviews. DO NOT BUY THIS PIECE OF CRAP! I will no longer shop at Lowe's or buy a Troy Bilt product.

I have a Troy-Bilt TB685EC, which came with the string loaded. I got it late summer last year, and used it a couple of times. Got it back out today and of course the string broke off inside the head. What a nightmare getting the tap head off! Once the string was removed, following the manual instructions explicitly, I struggled for more than 45 minutes to get the new string in. The manual stated to use 20 feet of 0.095 string. The spool would only accommodate about 12 feet, and it never did go all the way thru the housing like the manual says. So I threaded in from both sides, and that was an equal pain in the ass. Once that was accomplished, I was able to use the trimmer for about five minutes before the string broke off, inside the head again. I'm going back to Craftsman. The last craftsman I had lasted almost 15 years. This Troy-Bilt is a piece of crap!

On 3-24-17 my husband was backing our Troy-Bilt Zero Turn Rider XP Mustang out of our building. Suddenly he realized the whole back end was on fire! The zero turn is totalled and there was significant damage to the building. Thank God we had a fire extinguisher as the gas tank swelled and almost exploded. Thank God my husband was able to get off of the mower and it wasn't my 13 year old son. I filed a complaint with Troy-Bilt and was given an incident number. I was transferred to the next level of customer support but when I spoke to the guy he stated that seeing the mower was 5 years old it wasn't "their process" to handle and that I was out of luck. He could have cared less that my husband was almost killed and what could have happened he took no ownership in.

Not to mention, he spoke down to me as a female making a complaint. He was such a jerk to me on the phone that when I finally hung up - I was shaking. His name was Shaun with Tech Support. I rate Troy-Bilt customer service a zero. This was a serious incident and they took absolutely no ownership. A simple act of empathy would have went a long way however as a privately owned company their actions were cold.

For work purposes, for my crew I have bought 20ish Troy-Bilt 4 stroke weed eaters... due to crew issues some kind of failure was my thought. I did buy one for my personal use, plus all attachments... like all of them. Normally they have their issues here and there. I personally like the 4 strokes for the main purpose of not having to mix gas which can confuse some people.

I have never had a equipment failure that I didn't attribute to operator error until today... my personal 4-stroke weed eater decided to stall the pull start portion. This was after taking a trip to replace the gas line after sitting for a year. If 1 year is the life expectancy of the Troy-Bilt products, then this one lived up to standards. I guess I should respool the 15yr old McCulloch weed eater that still starts and runs, but I decided the Troy-Bilt 4-stroke was the better choice... didn't think they were a disposable brand. I really thought better of this brand. I guess unless you are ok buying new every year, should look to another brand.

I have bought five Troy-Bilt TB685 weed eaters over the past 6 years. My neighbor bought two on my word. He had to buy a new at about 18 months because of the pull start. I bought three two stokes and most recently 2 four strokes. Same as my neighbor. First one the pull start broke. Second one pull start broke. One of the two four strokes Lowe's replaced as a courtesy. The most recent is just over a year old and now the input shaft sheared off. Done with them.

I am sooo mad at your company. I bought a blower and it was the best hung you ever bought. First pull and never stalls. I bought the 4 stroke whipper snipper. After 2 months couldn't keep it running. Then starter broke. Took to get repaired and got told CIA more to fix than replace. Went back to store and got another. 1 month later won't start. Took to repair shop and they said waste of time, couldn't figure out what happened, doesn't work.

After throwing across the road and smashing to **, I now do not have a weed eater. I PLAN on stop losing the same amount of money I did buying my 2 pieces of shot advertising. How ** they are. I can't afford the keep buying these. Now the stupidest d store I bought your garbage from Masters is closed down. I am very disappointed and will do whatever it takes to make sure everyone be knows. Thanks for nothing Troybuilt.

Purchased a Troy-Bilt Rear Wheel Drive Lawnmower from Lowe's April 2016 for $369. By second use a loud metal noise was coming from deck. There were no twigs or branches caught in the blades. I brought it back to Lowe's, but they sent me to a Warranty dealer (90 day) for repair. After 4 weeks in the Repair shop could find nothing wrong with it. Noise continued. Lawnmower use about 6 times throughout summer. Noise continued but it kept cutting. In September the Start pull cord broke and unit would not start. It is now in the shop for repairs for which I will have to pay. Contacting a human at Troy-Bilt is impossible. Phone #'s keep referring you elsewhere. This Lawnmower is garbage and I will tell everyone I know this fact. Will never buy Troy-Bilt again for ANYTHING.

I bought a string trimmer and it lasted until the 3rd use. I took it into 3 different authorized service centers and they could not even get a call back from Troy Bilt for repair authorization. Bottom line I got screwed and wasted my money. At the same time I bought the string trimmer I also purchased a hand held blower that lasted 1 year. Same issue, not worth fixing and the warranty and extended warranty sold by the dealer are worthless.

I still have a Troy Bilt mower but when that goes which it will shortly I am sure I will never purchase a Troy-Bilt product again. Interesting two of the authorized service companies have stopped even trying to service these products. The stack of complaints that they both had and open tickets waiting for authorization to repair was in the 100's. Purchase and you will regret it.

2007 Big Red Horse GT. Best tractor that I have ever had!!! I have used this tractor every season (spring, summer and fall) on my 1 acre property since 2007 with only a few minor repairs (steering gear was replaced after 7 years and a few flat tires and batteries over the years which is to be expected - I have black locust trees with thorns and I finally bought a battery maintainer so the batteries should last longer). Solid frame and deck are practically indestructible. The Intek V-twin has great compression with no oil leaks anywhere and has plenty of power for any task from mowing heavy and tall grass to pulling lawn equipment.

I have long since lost the receipt and that is the reason for my review not having the "Verified Buyer" label. But trust me, Troy-Bilt tractors are a great value (I also own the 30 inch rear engine model). The key is to make sure that you perform the maintenance right and I think that is the reason why many people tend to have problems and then come here to complain.

The string trimmer engine developed a habit of dying and being impossible to restart without long cooling-off periods. I've owned it now for about 40 days. It has been in my hands 5 days and at the authorized repair shop 35 days. Don't buy anything called Troy-Bilt!!

2014 Mustang 50" RZTL50 Zero Turn Mower - Purchased new from Lowe's. 1st 60-days a defective engine cylinder oiler. After one year of operation, 3-failed spindle bearing assemblies, 4-sets blades so far. Troy said they only warranty wear parts for 30-days out the door. What a joke. Parts will wear out after 1st year of use and can cost as much as $500 or more. Furthermore, they don't have a lot of loyal dealers that want to work on them. So if you buy their product you're on your own as far as warranty... FYI, Lowe's doesn't carry any parts for it and looks like they may even drop them altogether. I will sell this one and buy a different brand next year.

After using the lawnmower three times it will not start! Was told the gas line was clogged and not under warranty. Called a dealer who I have worked with on other lawnmowers and he did fix it. Problem - misaligned valves and it cost me $73.00. I have contacted Briggs and Stratton and they are reviewing my claim. I see others are making the same complaint. I do expect the lawnmower to quit after another three times and at that point I try to return it to the place where I bought. From what others say about this motor it is only good for junk and they build it in the USA??? Also try calling them and put on hold for 15 min!

Daughter bought her father a 2015 Pony. He is 74 and push mower getting to be too much. From the second mow he has had nothing but trouble with it quitting in the middle of the mow, to blades. The most worthless company and products available. He has paid for and had Lowe's pick it up, take it to repair center, paid for their repairs, and paid to have it returned. Now the fourth mow of this season and it has quit again and will not start. DO NOT buy any Troy-Bilt product and don't attempt to get Troy-Bilt help. Everything is your fault, you did something wrong, etc.

I have purchased my last Troy-Bilt lawn mower from Lowe's! My first mower was clunking and Lowe's traded it for another new one at only two weeks old. Now this one is used one season and oil is dripping out the air filter so that means the piston rings are shot and the warranty only good for 90 days! I am 67 years old and all my previous mowers lasted 8-10 years. The body rusted out but the engines were still great. These China made Troy-Bilt mowers are terrible!

Do not buy the Troy-Bilt TB6044 XP. The string bump head is almost impossible to restring. The main head is impossible to take off. You will have a heart attack trying to start the thing. I hope the design engineer got fired. Obviously the people at Troy-Bilt do not actually test the products they sell.

I purchased the TB280ES in May of this year and have approximately 10 hours on the mower. Two weeks ago the mower quit running about 10 minutes after starting. I tried to restart the engine and it ran for a few seconds and shut off. I've tried restarting the engine several times since but continue having the same outcome. I use only approved gasoline so that shouldn't be the issue. I've exceeded the return time frame and can't return the mower for replacement or repair. I did not buy an extended warranty. This is the second TB mower I've purchased with similar issues and it will be my last.

I purchased a Troy-Bilt lawnmower. It's a piece of garbage. I do not recommend anyone purchase one of these lawnmower. 2 months after I got it the machine needed repair. I discovered even though it was still being sold in the store the warranty on the engine expired 6 months after my purchase. Which is not revealed at purchase.

I purchased a self-propelled lawn mower in April 2015. I literally used it 3 times the whole summer. When I went to use it this year May 2016, it wouldn't crank. I called Briggs and Stratton and they referred me to a repair shop that told me it was a carburetor issue and wasn't covered under warranty. I paid $105.00 to have it replaced. I used the mower 1 time and when I went to used it again, it wouldn't crank. Called Briggs and Stratton back and they couldn't find my case # and told me the dealer I took it to wasn't one of their authorized dealers and referred me to another dealer. This is so frustrating. I will NEVER purchase another Troy-Bilt or anything with Briggs and Stratton's name on it. $299.99 for a piece of junk + $105.00 for repairs gone down the drain!!

$1000 Pony Lawn Tractor. 2 years replaces belt 2 times. Still falls off every mow. Battery shot have to jump-start with car then the new belt we just bought FROM TROY-BILT falls off again. Have to replace it and jump-start again. I had a self-propelled walk behind that I paid $25 bucks for at a yard sale and used 5 years, less work than the $1000 lawn Pony. Never again.

I bought one of your lawn tractors from Lowe's in the spring around April. I have used it maybe six or eight times since then. Yesterday August 16 the engine went out of it. It blew a hole right through the side of it. Lowe's will not fix it. So I have to find someone to look at it and fix it or at least try to fix it. That is around 30 miles away. And they want seventy five dollars to come pick it up. I paid 1300 dollars for this. It should at least last a few years. They asked who changed the oil, which I did. So I figure that means the warranty is no good. I waited for years to finally get a mower I really need and this is what I get. I should have bought a push mower. Thank you for wasting my money.

I am displeased with troy bilt mowers. I purchased my first one in the end of 2014. The first one came I was excited. It wasn't a week later I called them and they had to come get my mower and replace it with another one because the deck was falling apart. Thank goodness I bought the extended warranty. Cause it was another 3 weeks had deck issues with the second one... And again the game and got the mower and brought me a new one again. Finally I thought 3rd time a charm... wrong this one didn't last a yr and ban the spindle bearings froze and shears the bolts off the deck. Wow to my surprise it went flying almost killing my father where he was just sitting... thank god he just got up.

So now with extended warranty I called had them pick up and get repaired. Ah I took pick a also before they took it. Now they call me after 3 weeks and yard need mower bad and says, "Oh well it will cost you 698.00 to repair." They stated I ran over something and that 8 bolts sheared off and deck belt was busted. And spindle bearing was frozen but due to me. And oh let's not forget the blades that said was bent... and my fault when the funny thing was the blades wasn't and I had the blades at my home. So how can they say this when it was 4 bolts sheared off from one spindle on the deck due to bearings freezing up, the belt was in great shape and I had the blades.

I can't understand how a tech can make a call like that, stating I ran over something where it's impossible cause there was nothing there. I'm not happy nor will I purchase another troy bilt mower. I just want mine fixed when I did nothing wrong and I took care of it like you're suppose too. There is no grease fitting to grease bearings and my last mower lasted 8 yrs and never had a problem but it wasn't a troy either. Never have I seen bearing to put so fast in a riding mower. This really upsets me. Someone help me get some answers.

We bought a Troy-bilt power washer in about 2012, for just basic cleaning of the deck and house maintenance... We used a total of 3 times... We went to use it this year. Does not work... Properly maintained and stored it in the basement. This is the Troy-bilt XP 2600. It looks brand new!

I am writing this review to express my extreme dissatisfaction with the above product which I purchased at Lowe's earlier this summer. I have had Troy-Bilt equipment over the years and was generally pleased with their performance. However, this product was a disaster from the get go. First, it was always hard to start. The bump head that came with it was impossible to re-thread. A supplemental instruction sheet was of no help and, in fact, nonsensical and that it was obviously not designed to properly hold the line in place.

I replaced the head with another brand and it worked for a couple weeks even though the engine remained hard to start. Next, the lower shaft broke off at the lower hole just above the bumper head. I went to your website and could find no reference or parts list for a model TB635 EC, "Made in Mexico." I called your help line number and was told the model number for parts was in fact 41ADZ63C766. At this point I gave up figuring that the replacement cost for the lower shaft was probably not worth the cost, assuming I could even find the correct part number. I am not writing this review for a rebate, replacement, or any monetary gain. I am writing this to warn other potential customers of this inferior product.

I have bought three Troy-Bilt trimmers from Lowe's in three years! At almost $300 they won't run right and they will only exchange them if brought back within a few days... I thought it was something I was doing wrong, or it maybe was defected. So I thought you can't get two bad ones in a row. Well the next one got me through the rest of the summer but when I got it out in the spring it would run but didn't have enough power to cut trimmings around my sidewalk (SAD)!!! So stupid me said there is no way I could get three bad ones in a row. WRONG!!! Didn't make it through the summer... Used twice which was long enough Lowe's would not take it back. DON'T BUY TROY-BILT WEED EATERS!!!

In 1992 my husband bought a Troy-Bilt lawn mower. It lasted until 2013. It was fantastic. So when it stopped working I figured I would buy another Troy-Bilt. WORSE MISTAKE I EVER MADE. I bought a Troy-Bilt lawn mower 10/08/2013. I used it for the season of 2014. In 2015 it was at Lowe's repair place most of the summer. After I complained enough Lowe's finally gave me a loaner lawn mower. It is August 2016 and the mower won't start half of the time and if it does start as soon as you start to cut the lawn it stops.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Troy Bilt created an innovative rototiller design in 1937 and continues to create quality equipment.

• American built: Troy Bilt equipment is manufactured in the United States.
  • Multi-speed: The multi-speed transmissions provide better control during the mowing process.
  • Rear engine: Rear engine models offer a compact option for homeowners without a lot of equipment storage space.
  • Steel frame: A steel frame adds to the strength and durability of the riding mowers.
  • Financing: Troy Bilt offers financing for their riding mowers and equipment.
  • Best for Residential homeowners get a good combination of price and quality.

Compare Riding Mower