2. Homeowners
  3. Riding Mowers

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.57/5

Troy-Bilt Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Troy-Bilt?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Troy-Bilt?

Original review: Sept. 6, 2020

I bought the Troy Built 42" riding mower/garden tractor in 2018. It cuts well, has held up to almost 3 seasons so far and with the exception of needing to buy a new battery after season 1 it has done what I expected it to do. This is only used for the front yard, because I bush hog most of the rest of the 10 acres we own.

Good:
    It cuts well if grass isn't terribly long.
    Starts right up.
    Has very good safety features.

Price was phenomenal.

Not so great:
    I realize it is a yard tractor, but if the turf tires even see a small drop of water it will get stuck.
    Fuel tank should be twice the current size so you can finish a decent sice yard on one tank.
    The engine probable needs an extra horse or two.

And finally, some of the safety items really need to be reconsidered i.e., why can't you mow in reverse gear?

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

I'm a woman and never had a riding lawn mower but as I get older because of the size of my yard, I knew I needed some help. I was a little afraid at first but it was not bad at all and easy to handle. Greatly grateful I made the choice for the purchase.

Get buying tips about Riding Mower delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

I ride this twice a week on my lawn and then my elderly neighbors. Perfect cut every time, with an excellent turn radius. Pros: cranks right up, easy to drop the deck while under power, light on the gas to slow down & responds to a heavy throttle when needed. Stores with ease and can add a battery tender with a pigtail to plug & play during the winter months. Wheels perfectly sized. Cuts grass! Priced right for its use. Cons: Not a mulcher, deck should be at a 4 during the summer months. Never drop the deck to #1. Not hydraulic and must be in forward gear when you drop the deck or it will stall in reverse. Does not have a hitch nor a plow connector.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

Troy Bilt is a well planned well built lawnmower. This lawn mower is tough and dependable. Each time I get out on my lawnmower and Cut my grass, it’s something you wanna look forward to. It’s easy to Craig and for two years now I’ve never had to do anything but change oil, put a little air in the tires and let her go!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2020

I like my Troy-Bilt because it is built stronger than cheaper models. Specifically the front components used to turn the wheels. It starts up easily and has a plug that makes changing the oil quicker and easier. There is still some aspects they could improve though. The seat springs are too firm for lighter people and the button used to keep the blade spinning when you go in reverse sometimes turns off on its own.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2021

I was gifted a brand new Bronco 42-inch, 19 HP riding lawnmower. Even with the seat all the way up, the pedals are impossible to reach. The pedals cannot be adjusted so this is basically USELESS for anyone of my size (I am 5'0" tall). I have had several brands of lawnmowers and this is the first one that is impossible to adjust pedals to meet my needs. This company should be required to put a height requirement on the lawnmower. You will see many reviews from others who have the same problem. Evidently someone must be at least 5'6" to use this mower. Shame on you, Troy-Bilt!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2020

I Owned a Troy-Bilt Bronco (2005) model. Used it for 15 years it. For all those years it work very well. Now, It was time for another one So I bought a 2019 Troy-Bilt Bronco. After one year I need some Major work done. Trying to secure a Authorized service center is a royal pain in the butt. Apparently no one knows how to fix these things. As a result of this will be my last Troy-Bilt anything. So check your service center location before you buy a Troy-Bilt Machine Of any kind.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2020

I have had this Troy-Bilt riding mower for a little over a year. In the spring before mowing season. I took the mower in to have it maintenance, oil changed, blades sharpened etc. in July the motor started smoking. Took it into the shop that maintenance it in the spring. Troy-Bilt is refusing to honor their warranty. I will recommend this company.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

It's an OK mower for the price... Cheaply made but fairly durable... Optional items like baggers are overpriced without a reduced price when purchased with mower. As noted, price makes them popular with home owners not wanting to make a major investment in lawn care.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

I can use my zero radius to mow my place and I keep the 2 lots beside me mowed just for curb appeal. They are vacant. It would be a 2 day job without my mower. I can do it and be done in half a day. I wouldn't take for my machine.

Troy-Bilt author review by ConsumerAffairs

Troy Bilt created an innovative rototiller design in 1937 and continues to create quality equipment.

• American built: Troy Bilt equipment is manufactured in the United States.

• Multi-speed: The multi-speed transmissions provide better control during the mowing process.

• Rear engine: Rear engine models offer a compact option for homeowners without a lot of equipment storage space.

• Steel frame: A steel frame adds to the strength and durability of the riding mowers.

• Financing: Troy Bilt offers financing for their riding mowers and equipment.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team