3.9/5 (621 ratings)

About Troy-Bilt

Troy-Bilt Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Troy-Bilt?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Troy-Bilt?

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

Reliable and dependable lawnmower. It runs smooth and munch lawn as you mow your lawn. Therefore prevents you from having to rake cut grass and saves a lot of time and it's also returns to soil. It also operates well. As long as you keep up with engine oil and clean out filter at the end of day.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2021

We bought our Troy rider several years ago used, it had only been used a couple of times before being sold to us. The gentleman bought the Troy for his wife and she wasn’t interested! It has been a great mower for us but this past year, my husband has been using it to mow several properties, two that are an acre and one three acres. This is putting extraordinary wear and tear on the Troy mower. It’s handling it but I am concerned that it will start having issues in the very near future. The Troy mower does an outstanding job on our lawn. I like the Troy products and if I had the money would definitely buy one again!

Get buying tips about Riding Mower delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2021

Bought the mower in 2018. Still working great. But did have to replace the battery. Also had to repair two of the tires. Thinking the company could improve on the tires. I like the spin off oil filter, makes servicing much easier. The safety features really do the job. I once lost control while mowing over a slope. I slid off the seat and the engine shut down immediately. So glad this mower had these safety features. Great product. I would recommend to a friend.

Original review: July 31, 2021

Best mower for a Zero turn. I highly recommend this mower to anyone who is looking to buy one. We have the Mustang and we mow a few acres with this mower. All it needs is a radio, lights and a canopy and we are set for life. Thanks Troy-bilt for making an awesome mowing mustang-machine.

Original review: July 29, 2021

I use a Troy-Bilt riding mower for work and love it. The mower cuts better than any we have used in the past. The zero turn feature allows for easy maneuverability and cutting. Whenever there are any issues with it, the company readily sends out someone to repair it.

Original review: March 26, 2022

Needed new skids (shoes) for snowblower. Service department was very quick w/ the shipment. Excellent service. Right part every time!!! I will definitely keep ordering from them for all my needs. Good job.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2022

For the price it should be fully hydro. Doesn't cut in reverse, real pain. Front tires are small so they slip on modest inclines. Tiny battery is junk as mine is only nine months old and wont take a charge. Would definitely not recommend.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2022

Bought a Troy-Bilt Storm 2460 snowblower from Home Depot in December 2020. Used it twice during that winter for less than 2 hours. Worked well and started easily. Ran engine dry for storage as recommended. First big snow of 2022 on a Monday morning, went out to garage, gassed it up and tried to start. Spent 2 hours screwing with it and couldn't get it start. Could not smell any raw gas coming out of exhaust. Neighbors came over to help, sprayed ether into air intake, cranked, started, ran for about 3 seconds. Couldn't get engine started and running sustained. Tuesday morning called Troy-Bilt "tech support" spoke to a young lady named Taylor, she said to remove carburetor bowl and float and clean with carb cleaner. I asked her if doing that would void the 3 year warranty and she no because carburetor maintenance is part of "normal" maintenance and this type of problem was a common problem.

Found that all the fasteners are metric, used a 10mm socket and 1/4" drive ratchet to try remove bolt. Bolt wouldn't budge. Had to use a pipe on the ratchet to get sufficient leverage to break bolt loose. Finally removed bolt and carb bowl. Found metal shavings in the bottom of the bowl. Not good! Anyway, removed float and hosed everything down with GumOut, reinstalled float and tried to reinstall bowl. Could not get bolt to thread back in. Played with it for about 10 minutes, finally took bowl back out and tried threading bolt in without bowl. It threaded in for about last 2 threads on the bolt! Apparently, the pickup pipe where the bolt threads into was stripped out, hence the metal shavings. Called Troy-Bilt support back on Thursday morning, this time got a male support rep, gave him my case number and explained what I found.

He said that I had to buy a new carburetor! I asked why it wasn't covered under the warranty, his response "maybe if you would have taken a picture of the metal shavings in the bowl we could done something!" What a bunch of **! Asked how much a new carb was, he said $71 but he would give a discount. Oh, and the carb wouldn't ship until March 1st! Ordered it anyway. Real disappointed. After I got off the phone with Troy-Bilt immediately went online and found a company on eBay in Houston that had 4 carbs in stock for $40. Ordered one and it arrived yesterday. That will be this Saturday's project provided I can get the carb bolts out without stripping anything else out! Told this story to vendor I use for our club's Ag equipment and he basically told me the same story about a slightly different model Troy-Bilt snowblower he was trying to repair for a customer.

Apparently, the gorilla that assembles the carbs cross threads the steel bolts in the pot metal carb bodies and torques the bolts down so tight they don't leak. In case you're wondering, no, there was no Loctite on any of the bolts! Overall, extremely disappointed with the machine, quality of manufacturing and Troy-Bilt's failure to stand behind their products. Troy-Bilt was purchased by MTD here in Ohio and MTD was purchased by Stanley Black & Decker which are now owned by the Chinese. Used to think very highly of Troy-Bilt products, not any more. From what I have been reading it looks like I may be in store for a lot of headaches with this product! Caveat emptor!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2021

Bought Troy-Bilt back-pack Leaf in October, and was the best lawn maintenance product I ever had. Despite following all the instructions to the "t" (new gas, correct oil, right mixture,etc.), the 5th time I used it, the engine made a clunk and wouldn't start again. Menard's wouldn't replace it and told me I had to take it to an authorized Troy-Bilt service center.

I called them and was told they were going to charge me $50 to look at it (even under warranty) and I'd have to wait till Spring to bring it in. If it was a carburetor that was the problem, they'd fix it and refund the $50, but he said it sounded like a piston problem, and he said I HAD to have done something wrong, and so he warned me now that it wouldn't be covered under warranty. It would cost more to repair than it would to buy a new one, so my only real solution was to throw this one away and buy a new one. I posted this review on their website but it was rejected because "it did not meet all our website guidelines." Apparently, they allow ONLY 4 or 5 star reviews to artificially boost their false ratings.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2021

The original steering on both my unit and my neighbors failed after three seasons and also after only one season after mine was replaced. Across three years of trips to the service center we were advised by the local serviceman that he had half a dozen units in for the same problem every season. After multiple contacts with Troy they said and I quote "It's out of warranty, you will have to purchase parts and labor." Don't be misled by reviews written during or after only one season. Don't buy Troy.

Troy-Bilt author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Troy Bilt created an innovative rototiller design in 1937 and continues to create quality equipment.

• American built: Troy Bilt equipment is manufactured in the United States.

• Multi-speed: The multi-speed transmissions provide better control during the mowing process.

• Rear engine: Rear engine models offer a compact option for homeowners without a lot of equipment storage space.

• Steel frame: A steel frame adds to the strength and durability of the riding mowers.

• Financing: Troy Bilt offers financing for their riding mowers and equipment.

Troy-Bilt Company Information