Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Trane Reviews

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

I am a builder and have installed many Trane units over the last 10 years. I have had ok luck in the past although I had to replace a bad coil now and then that Trane or the installer would cover. They are refusing to take care of their customers these days and saying they only provide a 90 day warranty. Also I have learned from multiple installers around Texas that they are replacing these Trane coils everyday. They are clearly having internal quality control issues and are therefore refusing to take ownership. Plus dealing with their customer service is a joke. They repeatedly tell you that they do not provide warranty and tell you straight up they do not have what you sent them, even though you have the email to prove you sent it. Then they try to deflect the conversation to another department. My installer closed their doors and I had no support whatsoever from Trane.

They should be involved in a class action suit for the Thousands of coils that unsuspecting customers are having to pay out of pocket when Trane should be the one paying for it. What if your coil goes out in 13 months? One of my jobs was 10 months to failure, and it cost me $1,400 to repair. Do yourself a favor and find a better manufacturer, one that cares about their customer. San Antonio, Texas.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

New installation of furnace and heat pump/AC system installed in 2014. Heat pump compressor just went out Nov 2019. Part is warranted for 10 yrs, so that was covered, but labor was not. Expensive labor cost that is for sure. The installers who did the original installation commented that Trane had wiring issues with heat pumps late in 2014, and changed how it was connected at the unit. In fact this installer had trouble getting the replacement heat pump to function correctly, and had to call the Trane reps, and they walked him through the new method of wiring the pump. It was changed because it was causing the pump to cycle too often, and led to early failure. Hum...sounds like my pump. Installer said Trane will do nothing for you. I'm angry that Trane knew they needed to change the wiring schematic and did not notify existing installations about it. I feel they are responsible for this issue on my unit.

Get expert buying tips about Air Conditioners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2019

I bought my house in 2017. It has a Trane Air Conditioner. The 5 yr warranty expired on August 6, 2019. Less than 30 days later, August 30, 2019, a capacitor went out and cost me $220 to have replaced. About a week later my AC went out again. Hansen came out and determined that the EEV circuit board had gone bad and also the pressure transducer went bad. They replaced these part at a cost of $915.00. None of these parts are even serviceable. I called and talked to a supervisor to see if they might help me with some of the cost as a grace period and a courtesy. I called Trane and talked with a Supervisor. She told me that normally they don't do that but after I paid the bill call back and maybe they could help me. Well, I wrote them back with details and I never even received a response.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

I purchased a brand new ac unit 2 years ago and the coils went bad and so is the Compressor still under the warranty but I have to pay for the labor. Completely disappointing over the quality of the product Of TRANE. Is just a crappy product. Never thought that in 2 years I will have to change all this stuff.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

My Trane heat pump was so problematic that local technicians could not fix it so I filed a complaint with Trane customer service. After several months of waiting for a response from Trane and sending documentation of my problems they quit communication with me. I had to file a complaint with my state attorney general's office before they would again open communications with me. They told me to put in a new Trane heat pump and they would give me a $500 rebate after it was installed. I told them I would like one of their local factory tech's to take a look at my unit. They said no. This was one of the worst experiences i have ever had. I had the Trane unit replaced with a carrier unit at my expense. I will never again buy anything built by Trane. The only thing worse than the Trane heat pump was their customer service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trane?

Original review: Nov. 8, 2019

Don’t buy Trane AC units! Read the rest of the reviews. I purchased two new units 14 months ago and so far have paid $1500 in labor to replace bad condensers and valves! The parts are covered under warranty but labor only for one year!!!!! Bad product.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

All I wanted to know was whether a backup generator I was considering was compatible with my recently purchased TRANE HVAC system. Was told TRANE does not provide technical support for residential consumers.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

In April 2007 I purchased a Trane residential HVAC system for $8500 from Home Depot. The authorized Trane installer at that time was McCarthy Services. They installed the system and “completed” the install on April 9, 2007. I was given a certificate of warranty by McCarthy that covered from April 9, 2007 to April 9, 2017. Several months later I was looking for the inspection certificate from the county and found that there was not one in my paperwork. I contacted the county to get a copy. They did not find a record of a permit issued for the installation of my HVAC system.

I contacted McCarthy and informed them that they did not get a permit for the install and did not have a county inspection. McCarthy was issued a permit on May 13, 2008 and had the inspector come out. The install failed inspection. They made some changes to the system, and again it failed. Finally, on July 17, 2008, the install passed inspection by the county. On July 1, 2017, the AC failed. A tech looked at it and said the compressor had failed and needed to be replaced, and that the coil also needed to be replaced as the new compressors use a different kind of freon and are not compatible with that coil. The cost was to be $5975.

I called Trane and explained that the original installation did not pass inspection until July 17, 2008 so my 10-year warranty should go from July 17, 2008 to July 17, 2018 and this compressor/coil replacement should be covered by the warranty. They told me to take a hike. I paid for the install out of pocket and filed a complaint with Trane. The Trane customer service person said they could not do anything. I escalated it and that person basically told me to stick it.

I am a home inspector. We used to rate Trane and Carrier as two of the best HVAC systems. We typically tell our customers that any major appliance that is 10 years old could be ready for a replacement in the near future so they should start planning. I have seen AC units that are 20 years old still running fine. More and more we are hearing horror stories about Trane HVAC systems. I no longer recommend Trane to anyone and now suggest Carrier.

Trane seems to have abandoned their commitment to quality and their customer service sucks. I can attest to both. It seems that the one thing that can easily stop a Trane is a few years. So, I decided to file a suit against Trane in the hope that they would at least negotiate some partial payment to me for this replacement (which was a Trane only because if it was a Carrier I would have no chance at any reimbursement). I filed suit in small claims court in my county. I heard nothing from Trane and expected them to be a no-show on the day of court. Instead, they sent a hot-shot lawyer from Washington DC to fight me.

The case was moved to regular court and a trial date was set. I had to file a document called a Bill of Particulars stating my complaint. Their hot-shot lawyer filed a 10-page reply referencing a whole bunch of cases and provided 11 reasons why I should not get my money. I am certain that this has cost Trane more than the $5000 I was looking for. This attorney did not even ask me if I was willing to take some other amount to make me happy and drop the case. They are clearly really serious about not giving a crap about their customer. Please, don’t ever buy a Trane.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2019

In July 2014, I purchased a Trane 4 ton air conditioner and air handler. In July 2017, the coil developed a leak and I spent $1150 in labor cost to install new coil and $300 to replace refrigerant even though the coil was under warranty. In August 2019, the new coil also developed a leak. I had to pay $850 in labor to install my 3rd coil and $390 to replace refrigerant that leaked out. Replacing both coils under warranty cost me a total of $2690. My service technician from AA American Air Conditioning told me that this is a common problem with Trane coils.

I called Trane Customer Service and was immediately told that they would not compensate me for my expenses even though they are selling defective coils. Customer Service told me to have my service technician request a visit by a Trane field representative. He tried to do this but was told that the customer (me) has to contact Trane Customer Service to request a visit by a company field representative. I am in a Catch 22 situation and Trane is giving me the runaround. They clearly do not want to take responsibility for their defective coils and they have a “customer be damned” approach to customer service.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

My unit is just over 4 years old and I have had service calls on three separate occasions, losing Freon and not cooling. Finally a different tech finds a leak at the coil in the AH. Don't buy the BS advertising, Trane is not a quality product, it is just the opposite. They produce an inferior product and charge you for top of the line. I would NEVER buy another Trane product! EVER!!!

Trane expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Dating back to 1910, Trane has a long history of innovation in the heating and cooling industry. One of their founders invented the convector radiator in 1923, and in 1938 the company introduced the industry’s first hermetic, centrifugal refrigeration machine. Today, homes and businesses alike rely on Trane’s proven track record as an innovative company that provides reliable, energy efficient heating and cooling year-round.

• Leader in green building technology: Trane custom designs green technology for businesses based on their building needs to ensure only the highest air quality for employees and their clients. Their systems are in some of the world’s finest and most popular buildings, including Toronto’s Skydome, Beijing’s World Trade Center complex and Washington D.C.’s Washington Monument.

• Leader in home air quality: Trane’s whole-house air filtration systems are proven to remove up to 99.8 percent of all air allergens and particles inside your home. In addition, the Trane website features a resource center for consumers to learn about air quality and figure out which products will benefit their particular situation.

• Specialization: Because they specialize in home air solutions, Trane is able to focus on the air solutions homes and businesses need. Their specialization has helped Trane achieve have over 1500 patents, making them a top innovator in the field of HVAC technology.

• Testing videos: Watch videos from the testing facility on the Trane website to see just how far the Trane Reliability Engineers are willing and able to take their products.

• Smart technology: Homeowners will appreciate the Nexia Home Intelligence when it’s connected with a Trane ComfortLink or ComfortLink II communicating control. This system allows homeowners to reduce their energy consumption by controlling their air conditioning systems remotely.

• Best for: those looking for a central air conditioning system who are also concerned about air quality.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs