2. Homeowners

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Trane Reviews

Original review: June 4, 2020

Paid a large sum of money thinking I was getting the best. Four years and the compressor went out. Waited a week for a new one and that one lasted less than one week. Waiting for another compressor should be about 10 day wait. No a/c. It's 91 outside. Beware. Read the fine print. If you don't register your warranty you get a reduced one. Also yes I have to pay the labor charges.

Original review: May 29, 2020

In April of 2017 we bought a new Trane heat pump. In early December of 2017 we found out the reversing valve was defective and that was why we had no heat. We asked Trane to replace the unit because we felt it was defective from the factory and they refused. They covered the cost of the part but we had to pay $860 in service charges to have it installed.

In June of 2018 we spent another $220 having a fan capacitor replaced. We contacted Trane Consumer Relations and this time they offered to cover part of the labor charges with the condition that that would not be liable for any future charges arising from defects. We knew the equipment had a history of problems and turned down their offer.

Now in May of 2020 we are looking at another $800 in service charges to replace a defective and leaking cooling coil. Trane Consumer Relations has refused to help in any way. They told us to go through the service company we are using and have them go to the local distributor. In addition to refusing to do anything to help the supervisor in Consumer Relations was evasive when asked simple questions and refused to answer some questions.

Get buying tips about Air Conditioners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 29, 2020

Problem within warranty period- ac would not cool. Outside could losing freon. I have been without ac for 8 days and counting. Part may be available on Monday, 3 days from now. So disappointed in this company.

Original review: May 28, 2020

My first 3-Ton Trane 18XL system installed in December of 2004 lasted until May of 2018. I live on an island and so my condensers are exposed to harsh conditions, even so my old system never stopped until the condenser coil sprung a leak on a copper to aluminum factory swaged joint. I replaced the system with a new XL 18i condenser and a TAM9 air handler (AHU). This new AHU lasted from May 2018 to December 2018 having developed a leak on a factory welded u-joint.

My dealer in Miami was kind enough to provide a new coil under warranty but Trane would not pay for the shipping and wanted me to send back the defective coil back at my cost. The new AHU coil installed in late March 2018 and lasted until late May 2020 and failed the same way as the first. My dealer was swift in getting me a warranty replacement again but said Trane offered no comment about why the same failure happened. My dealer also noted several other failures of the same nature on AHU coils he supplied over the past year. This is very concerning to me as my previous Trane units seemed unstoppable. Now I think it is time for Trane to change its slogan to "Trane stops every year". I'll be looking for another brand if this one fails within the warranty period.

Original review: May 25, 2020

I purchased a Trane 4 Ton 20 SEER system in July 2014. I have spent about $5000 in labor for the following repairs: outside coil replacement, computer board replacement, compressor replacement, computer board replacement (second time). Last week the replacement outside coil was leaking freon. I decide to replace the system and cut my losses. In addition to the cost of repairing the system, I was without Air conditioning for an average of 8 days waiting for parts.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trane?

Original review: May 17, 2020

My first Trane unit lasted a little over 10 years but bought a new one back in 2017 which has been a constant drain on my wallet. The furnace part seems to be OK but the AC part is worthless. Even though it's still under warranty (parts only) am not sure if I am going to get it fixed. Installed a couple of window unit last year when it was broke down and am think about just using the very cheap window units all summer. Folks save your money and stay away from Trane.

Original review: May 17, 2020

We purchase this unit 3 years ago and we have already had to replace "air flow board" a little over a year later, then we just have to replace the coils due to leaking Freon. Purchased April 28, 2017 and early May this year already had two major replacements. Since 1973 we had two Lenox units and never had to do anything except freon.. I feel like we have a "Lemon" with this Trane unit and it should be replaced. The warranty has paid for the parts, but the labor, service call cost and materials we have had to pay out of pocket.. Close to $1000 we have had to pay due to the "coils and air flow control board" having to be replaced!!

Original review: April 21, 2020

Same issues as others. Paid $7000 for a new Trane system. Indoor coil failed 3 years later. Trane covered the cost of parts under warranty but I had to pay $1000 in labor. My previous Trane system lasted 33 years. Coil should not fail within 3 years, but Trane does not care. I see reports about Trane coil failures going back to 2016 and they still haven’t addressed the issue. Will not buy another Trane system.

Original review: April 13, 2020

I had a unit installed 4 1/2 years ago. I paid over 7k for the unit installed. Since that time I have required someone coming out at least every 6 months for a new issue. Each time having extra cost and fees associated. Last month 500 bucks for an issue, this month a coil needs replaced. Although the cost of the coil itself is covered by Trane's warrenty, the cost is still almost 1300 in charges for labor and coolant replacement. I would never purchase another Trane. Be sure and negotiate a warrenty which includes all associated labor and service charges in a purchase of an a/c when getting one and don't get a Trane.

Original review: April 13, 2020

Don’t buy Trane AC units! Read the rest of the reviews. Bad product. I purchased 9/9/2016. I have had service calls on 3 separate occasions, losing Freon and not cooling. Tech finds a leak at the coil in the AH. ($100) Don't buy the BS advertising, Trane is not a quality product, it is just the opposite. They produce an inferior product and charge you for top of the line. I would NEVER buy another Trane product! EVER!!! This $5170 unit has cost over $2500 due to bad factory installed coil joints!!!

Trane author review by ConsumerAffairs

Dating back to 1910, Trane has a long history of innovation in the heating and cooling industry. One of their founders invented the convector radiator in 1923, and in 1938 the company introduced the industry’s first hermetic, centrifugal refrigeration machine. Today, homes and businesses alike rely on Trane’s proven track record as an innovative company that provides reliable, energy efficient heating and cooling year-round.

• Leader in green building technology: Trane custom designs green technology for businesses based on their building needs to ensure only the highest air quality for employees and their clients. Their systems are in some of the world’s finest and most popular buildings, including Toronto’s Skydome, Beijing’s World Trade Center complex and Washington D.C.’s Washington Monument.

• Leader in home air quality: Trane’s whole-house air filtration systems are proven to remove up to 99.8 percent of all air allergens and particles inside your home. In addition, the Trane website features a resource center for consumers to learn about air quality and figure out which products will benefit their particular situation.

• Specialization: Because they specialize in home air solutions, Trane is able to focus on the air solutions homes and businesses need. Their specialization has helped Trane achieve have over 1500 patents, making them a top innovator in the field of HVAC technology.

• Testing videos: Watch videos from the testing facility on the Trane website to see just how far the Trane Reliability Engineers are willing and able to take their products.

• Smart technology: Homeowners will appreciate the Nexia Home Intelligence when it’s connected with a Trane ComfortLink or ComfortLink II communicating control. This system allows homeowners to reduce their energy consumption by controlling their air conditioning systems remotely.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team