Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

429 Trane Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 12, 2019

This is the second time our Trane air conditioner broke. First time a simple fix, a switch. This time the motor failed. Trane will not cover the motor. Our Trane dealer can’t even get a motor to replace this one as it is on back order. What does that tell you. It has been 2 weeks and still the part is on back order. I will never buy another Trane unit. My recommendation to everyone is DO NOT buy one.

Original review: July 9, 2019

My wife and I bought a house a little more than a year ago with a 5 year old Trane TAM7, which at first was a major selling point. In the year we have had it the outside unit motor failed and the entire inside unit is currently being gutted and replace from a defective motherboard that seems to have affected all the other parts. Trane techs at the Trane supply in Orlando have repeatedly given false information on the unit's problem and false fixes that have cost us and our techs working on the almost 24 hours of repairs and it is still not fixed. It has been 6 days since our unit stopped working and Trane tells us now it will be another 5 days until another part can be delivered and ready. Trane has been unhelpful and inconsiderate of the emergency of not having air conditioning in Florida when the heat index is over 100 and have done nothing but promise results from its equipment and parts which are not being met.

This product is quoted as "reliable". I believe if the unit hasn't worked properly for more than 5 months at a time without an issue occurring and HVAC techs needing to come and repair the unit then it is not reliable and should not be marketed as such. We have 8 pets that live with us and being without a air conditioning unit in the central Florida area can have negative effects on their health or possibly be worse. I believe Trane is responsible and is being negligent to their products and consumers that ultimately suffer from this negligence that Trane is refusing to be accountable for.

Get expert buying tips about Air Conditioners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 9, 2019

We purchased a Trane Gas Furnace and AC in 2016 when we built our house. We just found out that our evaporator coil (2 years old) has been leaking and needs to be replaced. Trane is not honoring the fact that the coil is supposed to be under warranty because we did not register our unit (which we didn't know that we were supposed to crawl under the house to get the serial numbers). Trane is not standing by the fact that their parts are supposed to last more than a couple of years. It is very disappointing to read that Trane is a respected company yet they do not stand by their parts. I will never use Trane again.

Original review: July 4, 2019

My husband and I purchased a Trane air conditioner and furnace in 2009. Both came with 10 year warranties on parts. Since we have had both units, each has broken every 2-3 years. The air conditioner broke in June of 2012 on a 90 degree day. The furnace broke in November 2015 on a very cold Michigan winter. June 2017 rolls around more problems with the air conditioner. We are feeling a sense of complacency and BOOM, summer of 2019 and the air conditioner fails us on another 90 degree day. We consult their website and Trane sends their MOST incompetent technician. Moral to the story: Do not buy anything from Trane!

Original review: June 24, 2019

Trane XB14 Weathertron. I purchased a brand new Trane 3T-15 Seer Air Conditioning/Heat Pump Unit from a reputable company who recommended this unit and completed the install May 2011. I've been with this A/C company since I moved to Florida 18 years ago, so I trusted their recommendation. I was told Trane was the top of the line and worth paying more to have the best, peace of mind, 10 year warranty if registered within 60 days, etc. It's been nothing but a "costly" nightmare once the 5 year mark was reached and the 10 year warranty ended up NOT being what was sold to me. Even though the company has been good about some of the items that were supposed to be 10 years, they have haggled with me and TRANE over what is actually covered on the warranty and the period of time. CRAZY! CRAZY!

With this major purchase, you would expect to get more than 5 years out of a system without spending additional major $$$. The following are my repairs/replacements since May 2016 to date: EFC control board, capacitor, condenser coil (plus R410 to replace what was lost), another trip to fix a R410 leak as a result of when the condenser coil was replaced, replaced entire circuit board, new blower relay, and thermometer all within a 3 year period. Keep in mind, that not only do you pay for labor to install the warranted item, each visit is a service/diagnostics fee.

Today, my system runs constantly causing very high energy bills because the A/C simply can't keep up with the outside temps -- called for service and after diagnosing the units for 1.5 hours, they tell me they can't find anything wrong. The AC Guy told me that they just don't make Trane Units like they used to!! I'm very disappointed in Trane products, I wish I would have read these reviews before taking the recommendation of a company I trust, and certainly don't recommend purchasing a TRANE to anyone. Very Disappointed!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trane?

Original review: June 23, 2019

Trane used to be a good company until it was purchased by an acquisition merger company who now owns Trane, American Standard and Ingersoll Rand. Three companies that have been ruined by their parent company’s attempt to make a larger profit at the cost of the consumer. You still pay a premium but you know longer get a premium unit. YOU GET CRAP! They have sent their parts to be made in China and the quality control is awful. Their research and development might as will be nonexistent.

Three units and 49 attempted repairs. One unit 10 attempts the first year and Mitchell AC did not write anything up due to the warranty. He also did 7 more the next year without writing up anything. That was a mistake. As you can see I have 32 receipts only!! John ** the DALLAS service area supervisor was involved in all three units. He told Mitchell AC that the unit I purchased was the biggest piece of crap TRANE had ever made. They were never able to get the unit working properly and the communicator never worked. I had to keep my unit on emergency heat ever since I’ve had it as that’s the only way the heat would work. John said they would refund me but then reneged. The second unit Mitchell AC installed 7 the first year.

None was Mitchell AC fault and they tried hard to repair but units had manufacturing defects from the factory. Once they figured out that the one unit didn’t get seal correctly at the factory and moisture kept getting in and ruining components. Different company on the third one and same problem with seal and several other design flaws. If you want a unit with lots of problems then buy a TRANE WRECK. Remember you have been warned, run, don’t walk.

Original review: June 12, 2019

We bought our Trane AC system in 2014. Had problems in 2017. Called Trane. They basically said they don't cover replacing parts and they don't have their own Laborers. Basically you call Coolray or some other companies and you pay them full price and price for parts. Enemies are the only people I would recommend this company to????

Original review: June 7, 2019

After much research, we purchased a top of the line Trane XV20i. It was installed in January 2016 by a Trane “Comfort Specialist.” It has given us nothing but problems and there is no way to reach anyone at Trane that can assist once these problems arise.

Here is a list of the repairs/replacements we’ve made:
November 2017 blower motor replaced.
December 2017 evaporator coil replaced.
December 2017 circuit board replaced.
December 2017 thermostat replaced.
February 2018 thermostat replaced #3.

May 2019 evaporator coil replaced #3.

There is only one phone number to reach Trane and the people who answer are unable to assist you and you aren’t able to talk to supervisors or anyone in the “escalations Department.” I’ve spent hours on the phone trying to remedy this situation. In addition to hours and days spent waiting for repairmen and/or being without air conditioning in Florida and the high cost of repairs. Overall, it has been a very frustrating experience and I would strongly caution others against Trane products.

Resolution response: June 13, 2019

I would like to provide a very encouraging update. I met with the owner of the Heat & Air company who actually did the install. As of today I am a very satisfied customer, not necessarily of Trane Customer Service, but certainly the commitment on the part of this company to make it right. The biggest mistake I made was using the Trane Web Site and then thinking that Customer Relations actually meant helping the customer. The company the Trane Web Site recommended apparently was going to overcharge me.

Bottom line--I am actually sitting here almost ready to put a coat on for the first time in a long time--will change the setting!!! The heat was tested, and is now at 110 degrees. I also received a very detailed summary of the problems and resolution. Awesome!

Jim "bbrrrrrrrr" K.

Original review: June 4, 2019

I would implore, beg anyone reading this to never consider buying a Trane Air Conditioner or Furnace. After just getting off the phone with Trane "Lack Of" Customer Service, I want to make others aware. Suction King Valve was bad at install. Replaced the TXV. Suction Service Valve was bad 2 years later--needed to replace--no coolant.

I am honestly not sure what other problems may have existed from the beginning. Admittedly some of the problems may have been related to the install. I know I have basically had no air conditioning for three years--using two window units, and essentially limited, if any heat in the winter. I cannot keep paying $1339 every spring for 7 lbs of 410-A due to problems with Trane parts or equipment. Do not buy Trane!! (I plan to create a video and will plan to create a Web Site if available--"DONOTBUYTRANE.COM". Jim **

Original review: June 4, 2019

We installed the higher end Trane unit for a condo in South Carolina due to the heat and humidity. About 18 months later, we had to replace the coil. To add insult to injury, the technician did the 6 month inspection of the unit 2 DAYS before the coil went completely bad and did not see the refrigerant was basically gone at that point. As others have stated, dealers do not stock parts, they have to get them from warehouses that may not be located near the dealer. This was only the coil, something that should be READILY available. The cost was astronomical--even though under warranty, the labor cost was basically 10% of the original purchase price of the unit. I will NEVER purchase a Trane unit again.

Original review: May 31, 2019

We bought a Trane heat pump about 6 years ago based on dealer recommendations and advertisements. Within the first 3 years every part except the cover was replaced under warranty. Since then we spent about $200 every quarter on repairs. The piece of crap is now 6 years old and the quarterly repairs just keep getting higher. I will never buy another Trane. Based on my experience it is a total piece of crap that cost more than any other product I have ever owned. We replaced a Goodman that I thought was expensive. When we replace this piece of crap I'll buy another Goodman and gladly pay the repair bills. My personal advice DO NOT BUY A TRANE!!!

Original review: May 24, 2019

We installed an XL15 system in our home - heat pump, air handler, etc. near the end of 2011. 6 mos. after it was installed the fan motor on the air handler died. It took a week to obtain the replacement. Now, in May of 2019 we're dealing with the need for other parts for the air handler - a circuit board, valve, EVAP sensor and another sensor. Parts take much too long to be obtained. They say 3-5 business days, but we're already past 4 days and I don't expect to see them within 5. So, buyer beware that unless the part(s) you need are readily and locally available, you could have a problem. The risk is high and when we replace this system it will NOT be with a Trane system.

Original review: May 19, 2019

My disappointment is toward proprietary parts for replacement, which are several times as expensive as other brands for their replacement parts. Trane parts cost much more to replace; circuit board on outside unit, nearly $400; fan motor on outside unit nearly $1,300 plus labor to replace, compared to $150 for competitor's fan; reversing valve for outside unit nearly $800 plus over $400 labor. The slogan "hard to stop a Trane" applies only if you have unlimited resources for purchasing their expensive replacement parts for repairs, plus labor. The customer becomes "trapped" down the road with Trane's excessively expensive replacement parts.

Original review: May 16, 2019

Trane dealer installed a new Trane heat pump system in Summer 2016. I regret I did not read the reviews online. The system started having problems in winter 2018. Dealer checked it and said the heater in air handler was broken and needed replacement. Then defrost board and fan motor in heat pump were found broken. The condenser coil could also be leaking. I was shocked by all these major issues. Dealer just told me I was unlucky to get a bad system. I was asked to pay about $900 labor fee since only parts are under warranty. In addition, there could be other issues since testing could not be done without replacing the parts. So whole system is a junk.

I complained to dealer manager, then to Trane customer service, then escalated to supervisor. I sent them all the documents they asked for, but never heard from them. Whenever I called them, I was transferred many times and held for one hour, but nothing was done. I emailed them many times, but no reply. People working at Trane just don’t care. Do not buy Trane products, because you will regret.

Original review: May 13, 2019

I built a new house and wanted to pay for a quality airconditioner so I would not have any issues over the next decade. Put in a Trane. Unite broke the first spring and was covered under warranty. 15 months later, the compressor goes out on the same unit. Covered under warranty, but I have to pay over $800.00 for labor. Called trane and they don't care. It's their policy. 15 months or one summer season on the compressor. I would not pay extra for trane again.

Original review: May 3, 2019

I asked a simple question "Do your thermostats have batteries that I need to replace." I kept getting referred to a dealer. I asked for a manager. After 45 minutes I was cut off. I spoke with a lady called Jennifer and Ify. I was told that the manager was on other calls for 45 minutes. At the end I was told that they must end the call. The website does not have a user manual for their thermostats XL624.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I inherited a ComfortLink II thermostat when I bought my house. 4 months ago Trane was very helpful when I called about an error code. Now, I’d like to program and they are totally unhelpful. I have always been a Trane customer but will never again buy a Trane product. If a company’s only answer to someone looking for a manual or help with a question is to call your dealer, that’s a company I will avoid. One star is generous.

Original review: April 24, 2019

Unit operated problem free for first 23 months. Then needed service for bad fan capacitor ($189). Another 23 months later, thermostat lost its programing. $159 later I have a new thermostat. However, I learned that while there's a 10-year warranty on this equipment, I have to pay to "process" the part being returned to Trane PLUS the shipping. TOTAL BS. I still have to pay a trip charge and repair labor costs. Talk about NOT standing behind your workmanship. Any more problems, I'm reviewing again and going to 1-star.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Installed a brand new HVAC unit in 2013. In 2018 the outdoor line cracked twice not covered under warranty. $400 to fix. In 2019 the compressor went bad. Apparently you have to register both the unit and the compressor separately in order to get the 10-year warranty. Which in my opinion is a scam so that maybe you'll miss it and they can reduce the warranty to 5 years. At 5 years and 11 months $1,000 compressor went bad. No help from Trane at all. $1,900 bill this time, and only a one-year warranty on the new compressor. Buy another brand.

Original review: April 4, 2019

Put a new system in 10/2014, replaced inside coil 10/2016, now both inside and outside coils are bad 4/2019. I research prior to installing system. Absolute lies, the reviewers must be paid to give good reviews. $7000 for installation, $1000 for replacing each coil. Totaling regret this purchase. Another family member put in a Trane system, it only lasted 9 months before major repairs were required, more than $2000, that system was larger. So do NOT buy Trane, it is complete junk and reviews are lies.

Original review: March 20, 2019

Hello, I recently purchased a TRANE heat pump unit (September 2018) Model numbers: Heat pump - 4TWV8036A1000BB. Air Handler - TAM9AOB3OV31DAA. Tstat - TCONT85OAC52UA. The unit worked as described with no problems until about a month ago. Then it started to malfunction. I contacted the installing dealer and they came out to find that mice had moved into the control unit area of the heat pump and chewed through several wires which made the unit malfunction.

I have lived in this house for the past 12 years and never had an issue with mice in my old unit. I purchase a TRANE and after 6 months of use I have to pay out $200.00 in repair bills due to mice. I did some research online and found out that this is a major problem with the type of heat pump I have because for 1 it has a heating unit in the control area which draw mice in the winter to find a warm place to live and 2 it appears that no effort was made by the product engineers to seal those areas up or to even put the wires in an enclosed unit, I was also informed by the technicians that did the repairs that this is a major issue and they see mice doing damage to units all the time.

I am very disappointed in this product and wonder how much it is going to cost me down the road for repairs as I can't keep a daily watch on the unit and will not know if mice are chewing up the wires at any given time. I would suggest that TRANE take a better look at the design of the unit and come up with a way to better protect the control area and wires and if nothing else recommend that dealers who install the unit let the customer know that mice like the warm place in the unit and might chew it up costing major repairs and money to fix.

I would not recommend the TRANE heat pump to anyone because of this issue and will not purchase any type of TRANE product in the future. The other issue is with the thermostat - model 850. Seems that it has an issue with heat buildup in the display and causes the unit to display a higher temp than the set point. Had to have the installing dealer come out after the heating season started to adjust the calibration set point for the indoor temp to make the unit function showing the displayed temp and the actual room temp the same. This seems to me to be another design flaw which when I did some research online TRANE customers are having the same issues. Very disappointed in my purchase to say the least.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I bought a house with a one-year-old Trane XL15i and a ten-year warranty. Thank goodness the warranty was transferrable. The second year they had to top off the freon and make adjustments. The third year they replaced the evap coil. It was covered with pinhole leaks allowing all the refrigerant to leak out. The part was well over 1000 dollars and the tech was tight-lipped when I asked if he did a lot of them. The 5th year the evaporator coil unit failed AGAIN and I had to run on emergency (gas only) heat for a month. The tech told me that his company no longer sells Trane units. He recommended Bryant. My neighbor had the same unit and after replacing her compressor TWICE, she upgraded her unit to the XL18i. I am in the 7th year of my warranty. Without it, I would have likely put $4-5000 into this POS. The first time it fails outside of the warranty I am replacing it with something other than Trane.

Original review: March 8, 2019

We built a new home and installed a Trane propane HVAC unit because they are supposed to be better than others. Well, fast forward to December 2018. We have a 1 1/2 year old unit that is constantly breaking. First the pressure switch and board went out, then they replaced the igniters and a couple gas parts. Now another switch has went out and they replaced it. This unit has been broken continually since December 2018. Our installing company has been here sometimes on a daily basis, they have been wonderful through the whole process. Every time they fix something though, something else goes wrong.

This has been so bad that the Field Service Representative from Trane came to see if he could help fix it. That was two breaks ago! I have contacted Trane's customer service and they have blamed it on the installing company and said they did not know what they were doing. LOL. It was the Trane service representative that said what parts to replace and how to fix it. Trane has said they will give us parts and we are responsible for the rest. This unit is broken more than it is working. We want a new unit! I am with anyone who files a class action lawsuit over these inferior units.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I have a TRANE HVAC heat pump system, that is still in warranty, equipped with a Digital Thermostat. The digital thermostat is the piece of equipment that I am having an issue with. When I contacted TRANE's technical service department, a technician led me through several troubleshooting procedures. The technical support person, Brandon, then advised me that the thermostat was defective and needed to be replaced. I asked him for the part number so that I could relay that information to my Trane servicing dealer. Brandon advised me that my thermostat was no longer being manufactured and there wasn't a compatible replacement. I asked him what I was supposed to do, and he intimated that I may end up having to replace my entire HVAC system because there isn't a replacement thermostat. I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

I have placed several calls to 2 servicing Trane dealers in my area and the thermostat is indeed unavailable. I told the Trane Technical support person, that is like going out to start you car and discover the battery is dead, and a mechanic telling you that you that the battery can't be replaced and you'll have to buy a new car. This borders on consumer fraud. I have a call in to the consumer affairs department, but I'm not holding my breath waiting for a response.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I purchased two Brand new Trane 15 Seer Air Conditioning/Heat Pump Units, from a reputable HVAC Company, whom also installed the units. I was told Trane was the top of the line and worth paying more to have the best, peace of mind, 10 year warranty, etc. It's been less than two years and one of my units needs a new evaporator coil. The part is under warranty, but the labor is going to cost me $800!! The AC Guy told me that they don't make Trane Units like they used to. The parts aren't made by trane, they're either made in China or Mexico and Trane doesn't stand behind them. The AC Guy also told me that there are so many bad Coil's that they're on back order. I'm very disappointed in Trane products and don't recommend spending the extra money.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I purchased a Trane in 2011 (this my second purchase the first was in 2002). My paperwork indicates that there is 10 years on the compressor and parts. However, buried in the installer's guide is the fact that it only applies if registered within 60 days (which I did not do). If not registered it is only 5 years. My unit is installed on the roof, my question is why would I read through the installation guide. My installer who has been selling only Trane for over 15 years has tried to work with Trane to assist to no avail. I also spoke with Trane and all they would say is that the unit is out of warranty. I have serviced my unit 2 times each year since purchased. I would not buy another Trane as I think getting less than 10 years is unacceptable and not getting assistance from the company for a repeat customer is also not very good service.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

Bought a Trane 15 months and had several issues with the unit. We use LP for the heat, the company installed a natural gas unit. Unit quit cooling and the repair company said it was a leak in the evaporator coil. Price to repair $212.50. Unit cooled for a couple days and they came back out and said the condenser coil had a leak. Price to repair $999.00. This is the worst company and I recommend buying a Goodman over this crap. Called Trane and they did not want to do anything but offer some help on the 999.00 bill. STAY AWAY FROM TRANE!!!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

Purchased a Trane XV80 furnace and air unit in 2014. March 2017 blower motor overheated and locked up. Part under warranty but had to pay labor. January 2019 replacement blower burnt up, capacitors fried, caught on fire. Part under warranty but had to pay labor. This is a faulty product and Trane doesn't want to acknowledge it. I can't keep replacing new blowers every 2 years. I am looking into a class action lawsuit against Trane.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

We purchased a top of the line Trane 5 ton and a next step down 2.5 ton unit for our home. Dec 2016 and Jan 2019 the coil went. What I find extremely frustrating is that the part is covered just not the labor which I get until I found out it is a big job and costs $1600! First of all, the part should last more than 2 years for crying out loud and the labor is crazy to replace it. Total rip off. I had a junk Rheem when we build the house (not energy efficient but it lasted almost 15 years with NO problems!) Funny thing is my Mom also purchased a 5-ton a year ahead of me and her coil went in exactly 25 months as well. Buyer beware and get any extended warranty possible for labor. My confidence is shot. I have to hope I don't deal with this every 2 years.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I am a extremely low income widow. I had to get a new heat and air unit 06/15. It has been repaired 12-15 times. I can't afford the cost of repairs for this LEMON. Trane won't even talk about replacing this piece of junk. I need HELP!!!

Trane expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Dating back to 1910, Trane has a long history of innovation in the heating and cooling industry. One of their founders invented the convector radiator in 1923, and in 1938 the company introduced the industry’s first hermetic, centrifugal refrigeration machine. Today, homes and businesses alike rely on Trane’s proven track record as an innovative company that provides reliable, energy efficient heating and cooling year-round.

• Leader in green building technology: Trane custom designs green technology for businesses based on their building needs to ensure only the highest air quality for employees and their clients. Their systems are in some of the world’s finest and most popular buildings, including Toronto’s Skydome, Beijing’s World Trade Center complex and Washington D.C.’s Washington Monument.

• Leader in home air quality: Trane’s whole-house air filtration systems are proven to remove up to 99.8 percent of all air allergens and particles inside your home. In addition, the Trane website features a resource center for consumers to learn about air quality and figure out which products will benefit their particular situation.

• Specialization: Because they specialize in home air solutions, Trane is able to focus on the air solutions homes and businesses need. Their specialization has helped Trane achieve have over 1500 patents, making them a top innovator in the field of HVAC technology.

• Testing videos: Watch videos from the testing facility on the Trane website to see just how far the Trane Reliability Engineers are willing and able to take their products.

• Smart technology: Homeowners will appreciate the Nexia Home Intelligence when it’s connected with a Trane ComfortLink or ComfortLink II communicating control. This system allows homeowners to reduce their energy consumption by controlling their air conditioning systems remotely.

• Best for: those looking for a central air conditioning system who are also concerned about air quality.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs