1.18/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

388 Trane Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

We had a Trane XL18 heat and air conditioning unit installed the end of October. Before the installers left they brought it to our attention that the air conditioning unit was louder than it should be. They checked with their boss and he told us we could either get a new compressor or a whole new unit. We opted for the new unit. Been waiting three weeks got back to the company who installed Trane and they told us Trane will only replace the compressor not the whole unit. I contacted Trane and they said they would fix it not replace it. Apparently Trane has poor quality control of the products leaving their factory. Think twice before you buy a Trane.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I am a HVAC service provider. I have a customer with a 3 yr old Trane unit under warranty. I ordered a replacement part under warranty. The part came in. I went to pick it up with the failed part at the local Trane supply in Chesterfield, Virginia and was told I still had to pay for a warranty part and would be reimburse later. They are fooling themselves if they believe that they have the best product and are engaging in false advertising when they say nothing can stop a Trane. The failure rate of their units are the worst in the industry.

Get expert buying tips about Air Conditioners delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

In late Feb or early March 2014 I had the unit installed new. I have had my unit serviced twice a year (spring & fall) since installation. March 2 2018 tech serviced unit and said TXV was bad and at the sum of $375 out of pocket I had it replaced. October 25 2018 I had my unit serviced and tech said TXV was gone out again. After discussion, tech said Byrum h/A service manager told him they would waive all repair fees except for Trane's warranty fee of $50. And I told him I wasn't paying for a warranty fee of a defective part or possibly improper installation. Within 5 min all charges were waive and everything was going to be replaced at no charge. Researching I found that an additive needed to be added to properly lubricate the TXV and keep it from sticking which is a major cause of failure.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Be careful in buying house that has a pre-existing Trane unit. Apparently if you don’t register as a new owner within 90 days of closing Trane will cut your warranty by more than 50%. When I contacted customer service, they blamed the previous owner for not informing us of the this requirement.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I recently built a home for my family in Miami, FL and decided to go with Trane as we were assured that while they were more expensive than the competition they are a better product and offer impeccable customer service. Nothing could be further from the truth. Our A/C system has broken down six (6) times since it was installed 9 months ago, the most recent one happening last Wednesday Sept 27, when the Air Handler motor and Harness simply died and need to be replaced by a new one.

We’ve been on the hunt for a new motor and not only can’t the local South Florida Distributor can’t seem to find one in the whole state, they need to request one from the factory, which can’t assure shipping of a new motor until Friday, October 5, this is more than 8 whole days after the A/C first broke down. We have gone ahead and gotten in touch with someone within Trane corporate for help expediting the shipment of the missing part and even with their involvement we haven’t been able to track down the part.

What’s worse is that there are several new, unsold A/C units similar to our waiting to be sold in Miami arase county and the manufacturer refuses to take the spare part from an unsold unit nor will they change the unit altogether, which I believe is warranted as my current one is obviously filthy since it died after only 9 months of use. In conclusion, don’t do business with this company. Not only will you end up spending a fortune for their product but their unit are faulty and if you ever needed a spare part, you can spend weeks without one.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trane?

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

When we built our house 8 years ago, the builder insisted on installing a TRANE unit with the suggestion that they were a very reputable company with a good product. In the 8 years we've had it, we've had 4 service calls on this unit, the last one was today and the tech informed me that the cheap copper tubing was rusted through and the condenser was damaged, total cost of repair will run me over $ 2600 to replace the air handler, the coil and filter drier. This is utterly inexcusable. I've probably spent almost 1500 already on service calls and repairs on an 8 year old unit, pathetic.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

We purchased an American Standard/Trane HVAC unit in 2012 with a 5 year warranty. When they installed our furnace in 2012 they also installed the air conditioning coils but the outdoor unit was not installed until a year later. Therefore, the air conditioning coils were not in use until that time. Our AC failed less than 5 years later and the cause was the air conditioning coils. Not only were we without air conditioning during a record heat wave, we had to pay nearly 1200 in repairs. I have had a very bad experience with the Customer Escalation Department at Trane. They told me that even though the unit was clearly not in use for 5 years, they could not and would not provide any compensation for our costs. We chose American Standard because we thought we were purchasing from a good company who would stand behind their product. We were so wrong!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

We purchased an American Standard Gold (made by Trane with Trane customer service) HVAC system for our upstairs area in 2012. We did so based ratings and quality reviews. We had good Trane systems in our previous homes with no major issues. This current system experienced 8 breakdowns in the past six years with four this year alone. In nearly every case it was a different issue. I have paid more than $3000.00 in repairs in spite of having a 10 year parts warranty with the system. I have never had such failures of HVAC in any of the homes that I have owned over the past 40 years.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

Bought new furnace and quit working after 2 months - pipes froze due to 20 degrees cold. Igniter rod bad and technician replaced with new $15 different rod and works fine since. Tech said they had 2-3 other new Trane furnaces with same problem - Trane should have done a recall! Had $3000 in damage and Trane would not cover it!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

When we purchased Trane products three years ago, we did so because we believed in the quality of the product. We are extremely disappointed that they do not stand behind their product. Although they will send out a new part at no cost, they will not cover labor costs to replace a part that should not have failed in the first place. They do not even offer to pay a portion of the cost. When you make an expensive purchase, and you choose what you believe to be a quality company, you do not expect items to fail and if they do, you expect the company to take care of their customers. BEWARE!!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I recently found it necessary to replace my 20 year old central HVAC. I contacted a local HVAC contractor in Denver for the job. They replaced my system with new a Trane furnace and A/C system. After waiting in 90 degree heat for 10 days for the equipment to be delivered and another 2 days for installation, when they flipped the switch - nothing! After another day of troubleshooting they discovered that a circuit board was defective!

8 days later, the new circuit board arrived. That finally got the A/C working. After a few days I noticed that the fan noise was really loud, constantly. After another service call, they determined that the fan controller was defective, and oh by the way, the heating was not working. I'm sure it will take another 10 days to get a new controller. This is on a brand new, top of the line, $15k system. I strongly recommend that you consider another vendor for your HVAC. Trane clearly has quality control issues.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

We replaced our entire HVAC system in 2008 with a Trane heat pump and gas furnace. We got a 10 year warranty, which we used extensively. The warranty ran out in February of 2018 and I found out today that the blower motor has burn out, again. Previously the blower motor was replaced under warranty. Now it will cost $1,500 to replace the blower motor. I will never buy another Trane product and won't even buy from a HVAC company that sells Trane.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I usually don't write reviews, but I am so disappointed in my HVAC purchase I couldn't help myself. DO NOT BUY A TRANE PRODUCT!!! I've had Carrier before and it was a much superior product. My Trane has only lasted 2 years and now I need a new coil supposedly. Of course no warranty on labor so in addition to the 5K I spent 2 years ago, I am now about to drop another 700.00 for service and labor. If this is any indication of how well this unit is going to hold up, I will be buying another unit before this one is even 5 years old. Avoid the TRANE wreck!

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

Trane mini split: I have a 1.5 ton unit installed in my great room about 3 years ago and it's not been nothing but problems. I had it charged 3 times already, I've had water leaking down my walls every year since I've had it. The dealer didn't even know how to correct the leaking problem, so I figured it out myself. I've had to do this every year because it was not installed correctly, you have to have a 1/8 inch fall on the inside unit so it will drain properly. Takes about 2 hours to clean the unit and clean the fins on the squirrel cage. Messy job if you don't know what you're doing. Junk, very disappointed. Don't get one of these unless you like problems. Shame on Trane.

Updated on 08/10/2018: Just wrote a review within a week ago for the same problem I'm having today. The contractor and owner came and looked for leaks of Freon and could not find any. "This is about the 4th time we've been out here in 3 years," he stated and I said, "I believe you're right." He charged the unit with 2 pounds of Freon a week ago and now it's not working again. No cold air, he said it must be a factory defect. I said I would like to get something done. He stated something about the lemon law. Well, I agree. 5 times in 3 years, uncalled for. He said he was going to get a hold of the Trane representative. I'm still waiting on a response. 8/10/18, Tim, no cold air again.

Original review: July 30, 2018

We purchased our home Jan 7, 2016. Trane AC and Air handler was installed by previous owner. June of 2015. The system has had 3 service calls for leaks since we moved in, and just stopped cooling this month August 2018. The problem seems to be a small leak in the coil of the Air handler. Registration is void since it was not put in our name. The fee for this piece of junk coil replacement is $1400. Even after 3 hours on the phone and being through 3 different departments and a supervisor we have to pay for all repairs and parts. Don't believe Trane's joke of a warranty. We are seniors on fixed incomes. We live in Florida, going without AC is not an option. Shame on them for taking advantage of people.

Original review: July 27, 2018

Hard to stop a Trane? HARDLY!!! This unit came with my new house which was purchased in 2008. Within two years the blower unit went out during the summer. No worries. Just a 102 and to top it off there are no authorized dealers in El Paso Texas. Therefore, we waited 5 days for the part to show up to be installed. My Trane system again, 5 years later, decided that I didn't need my compressor when it was 105 in June. We waited another five days for the part to show up and be installed and had to replace all the Freon.

Flash forward to the present, on 7-26-2018 came home and found my sorry excuse for a A/C unit again was not blowing out cold air. Surprise, surprise, another compressor is needed along with all full charge of Freon. Trane should be completely ashamed of some of the products they produce. Goes without saying that it is completely unacceptable. STAY AWAY FROM TRANE... They stop when you need them the most in the hot Texas summer months.

Original review: July 26, 2018

Beware of Trane Air Conditioners. Never even consider a Trane Air Conditioner when replacing your central AC unit. They should change the name to "TRANE WRECK". I purchased a 5 ton Trane Wreck when I moved into my home 5 years ago. Since then I have spent more money on repairs and service on this junk box than the original cost of the unit and installation put together. Within 2 years even the compressor went out and had to be replaced. Trane covered the crappy parts but the labor charges are yours.

After many conversations with the Manufacture we were finally told to pay another $200 to have an evaluation survey which would get me nothing but a paper in our file in case there was another issue. The company that did the installation, America ProServe was so disgusted with the product that they no longer sell or service them, according to the Trane company. I'm offering this advice in hopes that no-one else gets the disappointment and discomfort that my family has endured including no AC Christmas day while entertaining guest. Caveat Emptor.

Original review: July 22, 2018

I purchased and had a Trane 5 Ton XV20i Heat Pump installed along with a Matching TAM-9 Air Handler during April of 2018 here in Florida, which was a replacement for a nearly 20 year old 4 ton Carrier System. I am amazed at what a great choice my Trane System has turned out to be and my electric bill savings are already racking up at no less than $100 per month and during the peak months of Summer, I actually have saved in excess of $150 per month on my June and July bills, the latter of which I just received.

Of course my old Carrier system may not have even been equivalent to a 10 Seer system, so obviously any new system would be an improvement, but the Trane XV20i has far exceeded my expectations and it actually appears I probably will recover the entire cost during the next 12 years just from my electric cost savings, not to mention any repair bills my old system may have cost me. With a 10 year Trane warranty on parts plus the 12 year warranty on the compressor, only time will tell for sure, but so far, I'm sure glad I chose the Trane XV20i.

I also have the latest fancy state of the art matching Trane Thermostat too, where I can easily monitor not only the weather via WiFi, but I can also control my thermostat from my cell phone too if I want to. True to everything I heard, this XV20i really does do a great job keeping the indoor temperature steady. Not only that, but I can even select my indoor humidity level target and sure enough, the XV20i will usually keep both the temperature and humidity exactly where I have them both set. Apparently with the variable speeds, the system can adjust accordingly to accommodate a temperature setting with the desired humidity level too.

I'm of the opinion, that over sizing a heat pump is not as much of a concern anymore with these variable speed systems and it's nice to have the extra capacity available for the peak heat months too! Heck I set the summer humidity target to just 45% (my old system humidity ranged between 55-60%) and my Trane system keeps it perfect. Maybe even too perfect -lol, because I just raised the target humidity to 55% just to monitor what difference that will make, since 55% is probably sufficient for my needs and it seems that I may soon rack up some more savings too, because the system won't have to work just to keep the humidity at 45% since I don't really even it that low. I have no affiliation with Trane but I am a bonafide happy Trane customer! The Trane 5 ton XV20i system is a big unit (both indoor and out) but still nice looking equipment and I can barely hear it running even when I try to listen!

Resolution response: Aug. 8, 2018

I would like to give my gracious thank you for Trane stepping in to resolve the issues I have had with my unit. They sent another company out to install and repair my unit. My hat goes off to the quality service I received from Service Wizard.
I will not remove my one star rating from Cool Atmosphere. Since my last post I was made aware of more unethical behavior by this company. This is not a place to air out personal issues. I will leave this as I paid $276 for a repair of my unit. My unit was never repaired by your company. I had to spend countless hours trying to get my unit repaired. My parts were under warranty still so your excuse is I paid for you to arrive at my house (3 times) and work on a unit you don’t know how to repair.

Steer clear of Cool Atmosphere (Leander Tx)

Original review: July 19, 2018

I purchased my home in May 2014 and had a Trane AC unit installed by a local company called Big Tex now Cool Atmosphere. The builder, Wilshire Homes, within the 1st year of install had the company come out to look at problems with the unit. I had a compressor replaced within the first year. They had to change the compressor in the unit and the TXV all between 2014-2015. I'm still not understanding how a compressor goes out on a new unit. In 2016 I have service done on this unit for various problems over 5 times. One of the main problems was the TXV again.

Fast forward to July 2018 my unit is not working. (Cool Atmosphere is no longer connected to Big Tex but same employees and owner.) My unit is not cooling. They come out and tell me it's the TXV so they replace it costing me $276 (labor). The unit stopped working 2 days later and the owner of Cool Atmosphere came out and cleaned the TXV and bypassed the pressure switch. I arrived home that night and found the unit was continuously running without reaching the temperature I preset on the thermostat. During the night the unit continued to run without cooling below 76 degrees. I turned the unit off so it did not freeze or break for running continuously. I woke to turn it back on the next morning and it began turning on and off every second again. Same problem. I am not sure why any parts on a new unit needed to be bypassed.

I contacted Trane as well as Cool Atmosphere. Trane sends a message to them informing them to put MJ-X Oil Additive in the compressor. They put the oil in the compressor then later telling me it's $175 for this oil additive because it's not covered under my warranty by Trane. This is a total rip off. I called Trane to find they did not cover the oil additive even though this is something that is needed for the unit to operate properly. This was also something that Trane just came out with because Cool Atmosphere was not aware the additive was needed in the compressor.

So as you can see I am out of money for these guys coming out multiple times to place bandages on my semi new unit that was installed in 2014. After looked at the other reviews it sounds as though Trane's 2014 units need a recall considering all the same part issue that have gone out during the first few years of ownership. This is not good customer service by either of these companies I have been dealing with. I would steer clear of either of these companies.

Original review: July 13, 2018

Purchased Trane HVAC system in September 2014. I live in Southern CA on the coast where air conditioning and heating is rarely needed except for unseasonal cold and hot days. Went to turn the AC on in July 2018 and it did not work. Ultimately determined that there was no refrigerant/coolant in the unit. Was also told that there have been ongoing issues with the Trane unit/components breaking. In my case it may be the coil component. At a cost of $550 the unit was refilled with refrigerant and a sealer with the hope that the sealer fixes any potential leaks. We will see. I would not expect a central air conditioning unit that is rarely used to break down after 3 seasons of use.

Updated on 09/29/2018: Two month update - the AC unit is not working again. The house is not cooling down. Grrr. I will update again after service/repair technician comes.

Original review: July 6, 2018

We bought our Trane unit through Lowe's in 2014. In 2016 the compressor went out (which is supposed to last 10+ years). We had it replaced and in 2017 the compressor went out again. We had it replaced again and it is currently out for a 3rd time. We're now waiting for word back from Trane on what they will do, but they said it will most likely take "weeks" even though they have marked it urgent. We have no idea what to do at this point. We think we have a lemon unit or something else is wrong but Trane forces us weeks to wait it out. No big deal it's just 105 today!

Overall we've had 3 different Trane certified companies take a look and they all agree that it's a bad unit but cannot do anything unless Trane gives us the go ahead or we pay full price for a whole new unit. I repeat we bought our unit brand new in 2014! I cannot recommend Trane any less. If we cannot get this solved we will most likely be headed to small claims court.

Original review: July 4, 2018

I also am a Senior Citizen surviving on a fixed income and I must agree with all the reviews posted on Consumer Affairs. My Trane was installed in 2014 and have had 5 service calls in order to keep the Trane on track, I have zoned air and my other unit is a Ruud A/C installed about the same time. I have had no issues with the Ruud and not once had to have it serviced since installation. Consumers should think twice before investing their hard earned money in a Trane product. I was quickly brushed off by the Trane agents with no compensation for the inferior product. All I can say is stay away from buying Trane.

Original review: July 3, 2018

4TTX6048J1000A Split Cooling System - We had both heat & air replaced July 6th 2016 at our house in South Carolina. The heat is a Gas system - we have no problem with that. However the Air Conditioning System mentioned above is the worst! Any weather temp of 90 & above it cannot keep temp set at what we have it set at on the thermostat! I contacted the company that did the install, they came out twice said it was our house & basically were not coming out again. The problem with that is, the old air system we had replaced did not have the problem! I contacted Trane's home office but did not get a reply as it stated I would.

Original review: June 27, 2018

Bought new AC furnace system bought Trane because reliable and unstoppable but turns out they are not, at least not mine. Problematic since day one and can’t get trained or repair guy to declare mine a lemon and give me a new unit so stuck repairing repairing repairing every season change always something new. Will never buy another Trane!

Original review: June 22, 2018

I am posting this due to unsatisfactory communication with Trane. I purchased a new system, had it installed by a certified licensed installer. Less than 1 year the system was leaking. Started with not cooling. Needed freon. Then few months later froze up and leaked water. Had a cracked pan and pipe. Was told this was covered for parts only. When the service company went to replace those parts, opened up unit and found a pinhole in the coils, This was the cause. Manufacturer defect. Contact Trane and was told only parts covered. Have been getting a runaround ever since. Warranty says only covered for parts not Services to repair. Units cost me plenty, and service has now cost additional 1400.00. Will never again buy anything from this company. THEY DO NOT STAND BY THEIR PRODUCTS. Go to any other company. NEVER NEVER Again!!! LEMONS. No quality control and they don't care.

Original review: June 22, 2018

Top of line Trane installed in 2006, 2 years later we started having to put out money on this POS. Every year something has malfunctioned, we have spent since then around 2000 - on this unit. The run capacitor keeps blowing.

Original review: June 20, 2018

If you're looking for HVAC equipment, you've probably heard the "Nothing runs like a Trane" commercials. Well, my experience with them differs a bit. Their slogan should be "Nothing RUINS like a TRANE"... ruins your reputation with your tenants, ruins your day, ruins your family's holiday, and ruins your bank account. My system, which SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN WARRANTY cost me almost $2000 to fix due to a defective A coil, and TRANE weaseled out of their warranty and stuck me with the bill.

If you're looking for HVAC equipment, do yourself a favor... don't believe Trane's advertising hype and choose a company that will truly stand behind their product. I contacted them through their website, explained what had happened, and a week later, got a machine-like call from a minimum-wage customer service agent who obviously couldn't care less if I ever bought another TRANE system and refused to even consider my warranty claim. Needless to say, I'll NEVER spend a dime with TRANE after this experience and I strongly suggest you heed my warning and avoid them like the plague.

Original review: June 19, 2018

Am extremely disappointed with Trane as a company and their products. I purchased a new system 8/2015 and made several attempts to register it and thought it was registered. I just learned from my dealer the registration did not go thru and I have to pay a lot of money to get a new coil for the inside part of the system. Purchased furnace and AC. Now 2.5 years later Trane says I have no warranty and I will have to pay all the expense. Even other types of junk has at least a year warranty on manufacturing defects. The coil has a hole in it. Which is obviously a manufacturing defect and Trane won't make it good. Product is not what it is advertised as. It's hard to stop a Trane?? Guess it would have to start first. I will never buy any other Trane products and will be sure no one in my family does either.

Original review: June 18, 2018

After spending over $16000 for two Trane A/C XL 20i units from Protocool Air Conditioning, 18 months later they said they made a mistake and billed me another $1000. In the first year, one unit stopped cooling and they could not find small leak. Even though it was under warranty, they just refilled it at different times, and I have had the problem every 4 months. I called a different dealer, and he found the leak and has to replace the COIL for another $800 for labor, which is no longer under warranty. Also, in this same period of time, the entire duct system filled up with water from condensation and cost me another $1800 to repair and replace. I have since learned this is a common problem with these units. Trane offers no service help at all. They are impossible with which to get in touch. They only send you to another dealer, which is hit or miss whether they know what they are doing.

I suggest you do not waste your money on these expensive units when a Ruud or Rheem unit for a quarter of the price will operate fine with less maintenance. My old Ruud lasted over 15 years with very little maintenance. I also suggest you do not deal with Protocool Air Conditioning in South Florida. I still feel they overcharged me and then gave bad repair service. If anyone would like to talk to me personally or see my Trane A/C units, I will be glad to talk to you before you waste your money.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Do not buy a Trane system. You’ll regret it! Trane’s 10 yrs warranty is a scam! Nothing stops a Trane from screwing their customers. We moved into our house on July 16, 2016. The builder put the unit under a commercial warranty on June 5th 2016. We almost immediately started putting all the units in the house under warranty including all the kitchen appliances and the dishwasher without an incident. When we attempted to warranty the Trane ac/heat pump online we ran into nothing but issues, timeout error, technical errors and the system not recognizing our serial numbers. We tried to call the warranty department but after about 4 hrs on hold and listening the most horrific on hold music, we gave up and mailed in the warranty. Almost two years later the blower motor (this is the unit we almost never use) went bad in the upstairs zone system.

We were shocked to hear our unit was still under the dealer’s commercial 5 year warranty. I called Trane’s warranty department and waited almost 4 hr for someone to pick up. They simply told me the serial numbers on our units were invalid and hung up. I tried to check myself with the same results. I tried the next day and the serial numbers came back valid. I re-registered the units in our name, but still only a 5yr. warranty. I tried calling the warranty department and waited 2.5 hrs. before hanging up. I believe Trane is purposely making it difficult to register the warranty by making their website un-reliable and short staffing the warranty department so they can advertise a 10 year warranty and not actually deliver.

Trane expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Dating back to 1910, Trane has a long history of innovation in the heating and cooling industry. One of their founders invented the convector radiator in 1923, and in 1938 the company introduced the industry’s first hermetic, centrifugal refrigeration machine. Today, homes and businesses alike rely on Trane’s proven track record as an innovative company that provides reliable, energy efficient heating and cooling year-round.

• Leader in green building technology: Trane custom designs green technology for businesses based on their building needs to ensure only the highest air quality for employees and their clients. Their systems are in some of the world’s finest and most popular buildings, including Toronto’s Skydome, Beijing’s World Trade Center complex and Washington D.C.’s Washington Monument.

• Leader in home air quality: Trane’s whole-house air filtration systems are proven to remove up to 99.8 percent of all air allergens and particles inside your home. In addition, the Trane website features a resource center for consumers to learn about air quality and figure out which products will benefit their particular situation.

• Specialization: Because they specialize in home air solutions, Trane is able to focus on the air solutions homes and businesses need. Their specialization has helped Trane achieve have over 1500 patents, making them a top innovator in the field of HVAC technology.

• Testing videos: Watch videos from the testing facility on the Trane website to see just how far the Trane Reliability Engineers are willing and able to take their products.

• Smart technology: Homeowners will appreciate the Nexia Home Intelligence when it’s connected with a Trane ComfortLink or ComfortLink II communicating control. This system allows homeowners to reduce their energy consumption by controlling their air conditioning systems remotely.

• Best for: those looking for a central air conditioning system who are also concerned about air quality.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs