3.7/5 (201 ratings)
Find an Air Conditioners partner
Banner image

Need help with an HVAC system?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About Trane

Banner image

Need help with an HVAC system?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Trane Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trane?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trane?

Original review: June 24, 2022

We purchased home in 2016 and previous owner recently installed a new furnace and AC. In 2020 the AC motor broke and wasn't covered under "warranty" and had to replace the part. In 2022 during a heat wave our furnace motherboard short circuited and took out our brand new Nest thermostat. Trane was unavailable to inspect their equipment so we called a third party technician. It was determined the mother board short circuited and fried the entire unit. As the furnace is approximately 8 years old we called Trane again so they can make repairs under the warranty. Trane still would not send a technician nor would they honor any product warranty. Customer service rep said the unit is 8 years old and it's "time to get a new one". I will be getting a new unit as we have an infant in the house and cannot afford to play games with customer service. Our new unit will most certainly not be a Trane.

Original review: June 18, 2022

Last year I bought 5 Trane ac for my home includes 1 ton and 1.5 ton. In summer ac is not working anymore. For cooling, it may take time at least 5, 6 hours. I suggest no one buy Trane ac. Worst company ever.

Get buying tips about Air Conditioners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 16, 2022

We bought a brand new 16 SEER system from a Trane dealer in 2015. It wasn't installed properly. We 1st ended up with leaks into our ceiling. They replaced the faulty overflow switch but never tested it. Company fixed the ceiling. Things were fine then came winter. The heater wouldn't come on. We found they didn't turn the valve for the gas line on. We fixed that. Just the first year. 2nd year service wire burnt. They came out and put in a new heavier gauge wire. 3rd year the motor for the fan on the condenser unit failed. Rep said he could do it under warranty but it would take 2 weeks, offered to replace it with the exact same thing next day. We took the deal, we are in Texas.

2 years later a wire inside the unit burned. Cost us 130 bucks. Now again a burnt wire. Everything says it's the compressor causing too many amps and no one has done an amp draw. They want to keep milking it. I would not be surprised if the reduction in quality while hiding behind their slogan is on purpose to keep robbing buyers in a bid to drive the service industry which drives the part industry which drives manufacturing. 10 year warranty but the cost of a repair is as much as a new unit. It's absurd. Would not recommend. First ac not good experience.

Personally, I think this is all self dealing and in violation of good faith in business practice laws and needs to be investigated. There are far too many complaints about the same things around the same time frames for this to be a coincidence. Where is the attorney generals when we need them? Anyway, things are going to get worse. Stay away from electric vehicles and get away from tech the markets, medicine and law. I think they are sabotaging all these industries to a create a global socialized economy where everything is junk to fuel global markets staffed with inept low iq low brow staff to read scripts. Their flavor of Democracy is a failure. Our ancestors would be angry. And consumers and service providers, you're the problem too. You turn a blind eye in these markets because the ignorance fills the service industry coffers but in the end, when we enter stagflation everyone will pay because you thought it was cute to rob thy neighbor.

Original review: June 1, 2022

Under the influence of the technician of Logan Service, I decided to replace my old furnace and air conditioner with new ones. A Trane system was installed in my house on Feb. 4, 2020 (total cost $8200.00, I was told that was a discount price). Just two years after installation, the air conditioner has stopped working right now, and the labor warranty expired (one year). I will have to pay a very expensive trip fee ($109.00) for troubleshooting and then pay an expensive labor fee to repair it. Right now we felt very uncomfortable with no air-conditioner in my house in Columbus, Ohio. My experience is that Trane brand is low and unstable quality, but too expensive. I will not recommend it to anyone.

Original review: May 23, 2022

Purchased 2 new complete AC systems less than 4 years ago. Replaced both coils due to leaks. Labor cost is about $1000 per coil which not covered by warranty, and Trane customer service rep refused to even transfer my call to a manager. Worst company, garbage products combined with inept and ignorant customer service. DO NOT BUY TRANE, stay away at all cost, trashy products and do not honor or stand behind their products.

Original review: May 18, 2022

I have A/C unit Model XL1050 Installed in 2019. Enclosed is copies of all the emails back and forth regarding my warranty complaint. I have spent a total of $2,653.60 in repairs for condenser coil, blower failure, display replacement, and coil malfunction. I initially contacted Trane warranty on 4/28/2022. All my emails are enclosed. I was assigned to Sheena L. senior person for escalations. She asked me via email what resolution I was expecting and after I answered her via email, I never heard back from her. I had emailed her over 10 times and called multiple times but she was always busy and never returned any of my calls. She also closed the case.

Through my research I had discovered that a lot of the Trane A/C units are having the same issues with coil malfunctioning within 3 years. I also see that there may be a class settlement action for these issues. Furthermore I believe my unit is a lemon that should be covered under the lemon law. Customer service is a joke. NEVER BUY TRANE.

Original review: April 25, 2022

I enjoy my two variable speed Trane units. They are quiet and very efficient. After replacing old (23 years) units (also by Trane), I noticed that the electric bill dropped by $50-60 / month in summer time and $20-30 in wintertime. I live in Arizona and the electric bill in summer was $400+. Now it is less than $350. But the best feature is that when the AC unit starts there is no "boom" noise, when the unit starts. What you can hear is just a soft whisper when cool air starts breezing in. I installed one, and 2 years later another one - both Trane. I have two floors, each floor is regulated by one unit. One unit is already 5 years old, another is 2, I signed up for a maintenance service plan, so far no problems at all. Trane seems to be an expensive brand, but I spoke with installers and they say that it is worth the money. I would recommend it - at least to consider - when replacing a unit for a new one.

Original review: April 20, 2022

I purchased a Trane Heat Pump - Air Handler system 3 years ago. I replaced my unit with a brand-new Trane system in Feb 2019, 3 ton, model #4TWR4036G1000AA .. Today, Apr 19, 2022, I had to replace the compressor and associated parts because of a compressor failure. First of all, I would have never expected such a premature failure like this, though the warranty covers parts, the associated labor, refrigerant, etc was nearly $3000, a very large percentage of the new costs paid 3 years ago. Very disappointed with the poor reliability, will certainly impact my decisions in the future.

Original review: April 8, 2022

This is my second Trane system. 3 weeks ago my 4 year old 5 ton XV20 blew the compressor. This system is under a full factory warranty. I have placed 27 calls and 16 emails to Trane support just to find out where the compressor that was ordered by my service company is. To date, the level of customer service, care or concern is laughable. My home is unlivable. Topping out at 90 degrees yesterday. This is not a supply chain issue, they are selling brand new systems just like mine $14K. This is when a company decides that they are better than their customers. DO NOT BUY A TRANE SYSTEM UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2022

I just read 2 recent reviews that are my story!!! Omg! If someone wants to do a class action against Trane for this recurrent issue, I am in. The coil is defective and leaked coolant. The unit had been shutting down hard and sounded like it was going to explode. I also had a $500 electric bill. My HVAC company came out Saturday and put 10lbs!!! of Freon in a 14lb system. They had to order the warrantied coil. They informed me the labor and Freon would be around $1150!!!

The manager reduced the price to $850, and told me to call Trane as they knew Trane worked with residential owners. Well, if you got the rep I did, I have no idea how you get anything from them. Christina was no help. She kept telling me that Freon is from a 3rd party vendor. I don’t want Freon from Trane. She also said Trane is only responsible for the part, not the Freon one or labor. But if you just admitted responsibility for the functioning of the part that keeps coolant in, your part didn’t do what you said it is supposed to. So, I paid $10000 for the unit which we are in our last year paying for. I paid $200 for Freon from a previous HVAC visit suspecting a leak with dye and found nothing. Then, the $850 I am paying tomorrow, right before our next winter event in Texas, plus the increase in the electric bill last month and most likely this month.

When the tech came out Saturday at 9am, the system had gone into emergency heat on 14!!! occasions. So, I will be lucky if the electric bill is only $500 this next month. If your part fails that is responsible for keeping the coolant flowing through the unit, you are responsible Trane, for the cause and effect from that failed part which is you owing me and the others on this feed money for an obvious issue with the coil!

Trane author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Dating back to 1910, Trane has a long history of innovation in the heating and cooling industry. One of their founders invented the convector radiator in 1923, and in 1938 the company introduced the industry’s first hermetic, centrifugal refrigeration machine. Today, homes and businesses alike rely on Trane’s proven track record as an innovative company that provides reliable, energy efficient heating and cooling year-round.

• Leader in green building technology: Trane custom designs green technology for businesses based on their building needs to ensure only the highest air quality for employees and their clients. Their systems are in some of the world’s finest and most popular buildings, including Toronto’s Skydome, Beijing’s World Trade Center complex and Washington D.C.’s Washington Monument.

• Leader in home air quality: Trane’s whole-house air filtration systems are proven to remove up to 99.8 percent of all air allergens and particles inside your home. In addition, the Trane website features a resource center for consumers to learn about air quality and figure out which products will benefit their particular situation.

• Specialization: Because they specialize in home air solutions, Trane is able to focus on the air solutions homes and businesses need. Their specialization has helped Trane achieve have over 1500 patents, making them a top innovator in the field of HVAC technology.

• Testing videos: Watch videos from the testing facility on the Trane website to see just how far the Trane Reliability Engineers are willing and able to take their products.

• Smart technology: Homeowners will appreciate the Nexia Home Intelligence when it’s connected with a Trane ComfortLink or ComfortLink II communicating control. This system allows homeowners to reduce their energy consumption by controlling their air conditioning systems remotely.

Trane Company Information