1.06/5
Based on 61 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

370 Trane Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 19, 2018

I purchased my home in May 2014 and had a Trane AC unit installed by a local company called Big Tex now Cool Atmosphere. The builder, Wilshire Homes, within the 1st year of install had the company come out to look at problems with the unit. I had a compressor replaced within the first year. They had to change the compressor in the unit and the TXV all between 2014-2015. I'm still not understanding how a compressor goes out on a new unit. In 2016 I have service done on this unit for various problems over 5 times. One of the main problems was the TXV again.

Fast forward to July 2018 my unit is not working. (Cool Atmosphere is no longer connected to Big Tex but same employees and owner.) My unit is not cooling. They come out and tell me it's the TXV so they replace it costing me $276 (labor). The unit stopped working 2 days later and the owner of Cool Atmosphere came out and cleaned the TXV and bypassed the pressure switch. I arrived home that night and found the unit was continuously running without reaching the temperature I preset on the thermostat. During the night the unit continued to run without cooling below 76 degrees. I turned the unit off so it did not freeze or break for running continuously. I woke to turn it back on the next morning and it began turning on and off every second again. Same problem. I am not sure why any parts on a new unit needed to be bypassed.

I contacted Trane as well as Cool Atmosphere. Trane sends a message to them informing them to put MJ-X Oil Additive in the compressor. They put the oil in the compressor then later telling me it's $175 for this oil additive because it's not covered under my warranty by Trane. This is a total rip off. I called Trane to find they did not cover the oil additive even though this is something that is needed for the unit to operate properly. This was also something that Trane just came out with because Cool Atmosphere was not aware the additive was needed in the compressor.

So as you can see I am out of money for these guys coming out multiple times to place bandages on my semi new unit that was installed in 2014. After looked at the other reviews it sounds as though Trane's 2014 units need a recall considering all the same part issue that have gone out during the first few years of ownership. This is not good customer service by either of these companies I have been dealing with. I would steer clear of either of these companies.

Original review: July 13, 2018

Purchased Trane HVAC system in September 2014. I live in Southern CA on the coast where air conditioning and heating is rarely needed except for unseasonal cold and hot days. Went to turn the AC on in July 2018 and it did not work. Ultimately determined that there was no refrigerant/coolant in the unit. Was also told that there have been ongoing issues with the Trane unit/components breaking. In my case it may be the coil component. At a cost of $550 the unit was refilled with refrigerant and a sealer with the hope that the sealer fixes any potential leaks. We will see. I would not expect a central air conditioning unit that is rarely used to break down after 3 seasons of use.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 6, 2018

We bought our Trane unit through Lowe's in 2014. In 2016 the compressor went out (which is supposed to last 10+ years). We had it replaced and in 2017 the compressor went out again. We had it replaced again and it is currently out for a 3rd time. We're now waiting for word back from Trane on what they will do, but they said it will most likely take "weeks" even though they have marked it urgent. We have no idea what to do at this point. We think we have a lemon unit or something else is wrong but Trane forces us weeks to wait it out. No big deal it's just 105 today!

Overall we've had 3 different Trane certified companies take a look and they all agree that it's a bad unit but cannot do anything unless Trane gives us the go ahead or we pay full price for a whole new unit. I repeat we bought our unit brand new in 2014! I cannot recommend Trane any less. If we cannot get this solved we will most likely be headed to small claims court.

Original review: July 4, 2018

I also am a Senior Citizen surviving on a fixed income and I must agree with all the reviews posted on Consumer Affairs. My Trane was installed in 2014 and have had 5 service calls in order to keep the Trane on track, I have zoned air and my other unit is a Ruud A/C installed about the same time. I have had no issues with the Ruud and not once had to have it serviced since installation. Consumers should think twice before investing their hard earned money in a Trane product. I was quickly brushed off by the Trane agents with no compensation for the inferior product. All I can say is stay away from buying Trane.

Original review: July 3, 2018

4TTX6048J1000A Split Cooling System - We had both heat & air replaced July 6th 2016 at our house in South Carolina. The heat is a Gas system - we have no problem with that. However the Air Conditioning System mentioned above is the worst! Any weather temp of 90 & above it cannot keep temp set at what we have it set at on the thermostat! I contacted the company that did the install, they came out twice said it was our house & basically were not coming out again. The problem with that is, the old air system we had replaced did not have the problem! I contacted Trane's home office but did not get a reply as it stated I would.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trane?

Original review: June 27, 2018

Bought new AC furnace system bought Trane because reliable and unstoppable but turns out they are not, at least not mine. Problematic since day one and can’t get trained or repair guy to declare mine a lemon and give me a new unit so stuck repairing repairing repairing every season change always something new. Will never buy another Trane!

Original review: June 22, 2018

I am posting this due to unsatisfactory communication with Trane. I purchased a new system, had it installed by a certified licensed installer. Less than 1 year the system was leaking. Started with not cooling. Needed freon. Then few months later froze up and leaked water. Had a cracked pan and pipe. Was told this was covered for parts only. When the service company went to replace those parts, opened up unit and found a pinhole in the coils, This was the cause. Manufacturer defect. Contact Trane and was told only parts covered. Have been getting a runaround ever since. Warranty says only covered for parts not Services to repair. Units cost me plenty, and service has now cost additional 1400.00. Will never again buy anything from this company. THEY DO NOT STAND BY THEIR PRODUCTS. Go to any other company. NEVER NEVER Again!!! LEMONS. No quality control and they don't care.

Original review: June 22, 2018

Top of line Trane installed in 2006, 2 years later we started having to put out money on this POS. Every year something has malfunctioned, we have spent since then around 2000 - on this unit. The run capacitor keeps blowing.

Original review: June 20, 2018

If you're looking for HVAC equipment, you've probably heard the "Nothing runs like a Trane" commercials. Well, my experience with them differs a bit. Their slogan should be "Nothing RUINS like a TRANE"... ruins your reputation with your tenants, ruins your day, ruins your family's holiday, and ruins your bank account. My system, which SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN WARRANTY cost me almost $2000 to fix due to a defective A coil, and TRANE weaseled out of their warranty and stuck me with the bill.

If you're looking for HVAC equipment, do yourself a favor... don't believe Trane's advertising hype and choose a company that will truly stand behind their product. I contacted them through their website, explained what had happened, and a week later, got a machine-like call from a minimum-wage customer service agent who obviously couldn't care less if I ever bought another TRANE system and refused to even consider my warranty claim. Needless to say, I'll NEVER spend a dime with TRANE after this experience and I strongly suggest you heed my warning and avoid them like the plague.

Original review: June 19, 2018

Am extremely disappointed with Trane as a company and their products. I purchased a new system 8/2015 and made several attempts to register it and thought it was registered. I just learned from my dealer the registration did not go thru and I have to pay a lot of money to get a new coil for the inside part of the system. Purchased furnace and AC. Now 2.5 years later Trane says I have no warranty and I will have to pay all the expense. Even other types of junk has at least a year warranty on manufacturing defects. The coil has a hole in it. Which is obviously a manufacturing defect and Trane won't make it good. Product is not what it is advertised as. It's hard to stop a Trane?? Guess it would have to start first. I will never buy any other Trane products and will be sure no one in my family does either.

Original review: June 18, 2018

After spending over $16000 for two Trane A/C XL 20i units from Protocool Air Conditioning, 18 months later they said they made a mistake and billed me another $1000. In the first year, one unit stopped cooling and they could not find small leak. Even though it was under warranty, they just refilled it at different times, and I have had the problem every 4 months. I called a different dealer, and he found the leak and has to replace the COIL for another $800 for labor, which is no longer under warranty. Also, in this same period of time, the entire duct system filled up with water from condensation and cost me another $1800 to repair and replace. I have since learned this is a common problem with these units. Trane offers no service help at all. They are impossible with which to get in touch. They only send you to another dealer, which is hit or miss whether they know what they are doing.

I suggest you do not waste your money on these expensive units when a Ruud or Rheem unit for a quarter of the price will operate fine with less maintenance. My old Ruud lasted over 15 years with very little maintenance. I also suggest you do not deal with Protocool Air Conditioning in South Florida. I still feel they overcharged me and then gave bad repair service. If anyone would like to talk to me personally or see my Trane A/C units, I will be glad to talk to you before you waste your money.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Do not buy a Trane system. You’ll regret it! Trane’s 10 yrs warranty is a scam! Nothing stops a Trane from screwing their customers. We moved into our house on July 16, 2016. The builder put the unit under a commercial warranty on June 5th 2016. We almost immediately started putting all the units in the house under warranty including all the kitchen appliances and the dishwasher without an incident. When we attempted to warranty the Trane ac/heat pump online we ran into nothing but issues, timeout error, technical errors and the system not recognizing our serial numbers. We tried to call the warranty department but after about 4 hrs on hold and listening the most horrific on hold music, we gave up and mailed in the warranty. Almost two years later the blower motor (this is the unit we almost never use) went bad in the upstairs zone system.

We were shocked to hear our unit was still under the dealer’s commercial 5 year warranty. I called Trane’s warranty department and waited almost 4 hr for someone to pick up. They simply told me the serial numbers on our units were invalid and hung up. I tried to check myself with the same results. I tried the next day and the serial numbers came back valid. I re-registered the units in our name, but still only a 5yr. warranty. I tried calling the warranty department and waited 2.5 hrs. before hanging up. I believe Trane is purposely making it difficult to register the warranty by making their website un-reliable and short staffing the warranty department so they can advertise a 10 year warranty and not actually deliver.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Purchased an American Standard (owned by Trane) HVAC in spring 2017. In spring 2018, the AC was not cold. Technician diagnosed the problem: leaking indoor coil. He replaced and recharged it, then told me that the $545 for labor/refrigerant was NOT covered under warranty - only parts are. When he sensed my outrage, he explained he was "on my side" and told me to call Trane Customer Service. I did - case #**. They explained the warranty to me (as if I needed that), and I made it clear that it IS A JOKE. How can a company stand by their product when they are asking consumers to incur cost for THEIR MISTAKES! When the supervisor realized I was not going to stop complaining (no yelling, no cursing), she asked if there was anything else she could help me with, to which I answered "you have not helped me at all," and then she hung up on me as I began my next sentence... DO NOT BUY TRANE/AMERICAN STANDARD!!!

Original review: June 7, 2018

Bought our Trane in August and the following May the entire compressor needed replaced. The unit didn't even run all winter. The compressor was covered by the warranty but... After paying thousands of dollars for a brand new unit I then had to pay an additional $521 to replace the "refrigerant" that is not covered by the 1 year warranty! The refrigerant leaked out because of their faulty unit. What a joke. Don't buy a Trane! I know I never will again.

Original review: June 6, 2018

The firmware on my Trane Confort link XL 950 controller is out of date. Trane no longer has the update on their website. Called customer service and all they said was call the dealer. No help online for Trane customers. Last Trane I'll buy, times are changing, Ingersoll Rand isn't.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I purchased (using a dealer) a 16 SEER American Standard, because of the reviews and because is part of Trane. 6 to 7 months after installation I had the first problem. The installer filled up with refrigerant, thinking that the ports were not tighten enough. 2 months after this event, again no cool air. Refill again. Third time after 1 month (end of summer time) we decided to change the handler coil under warranty. New coils, same story 7 months after installation. Refill, and again 2 months later. Third refill we decided to replace the coils for the second time (Nov 2017) when is cooler here in south Florida.

This time we did a pressure test before replacing thinking it’s the lines (which were not replaced with the units). Pressure test the coils, lines, outside coils and compressor, and again the issue was the handler coil. He tested the lines under pressure (a bit higher than the recommended testing pressure) for 1 week, not 1 PSI drop on the lines and outside unit). Now, end of May 2018, again no cold air (the temp started to go up in South Florida). The AC tech is coming in the following days to check. If it’s the third time when the handler coils go bad, I’m going crazy. What quality do American Standard have? How can it be so bad? And in 2 years, each coil is as bad as the original. No improvement? How can they afford to give you 1 coil each year under warranty? I don’t recommend either Trane or American Standard, as both have thousand of bad reviews.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I have been trying to get a warranty coil through Trane since they are the company that could not keep up with the manufacturer of evaporator coils and it has been going on 2 months trying to get my warranty coil. I do this work for a living. This is unacceptable to not take care of your customers. I go into people's homes every day and am asked multiple times a day what kind of system I would recommend. Trane would never be recommended from me. I will tell everyone do not purchase Trane. By far the worst company to deal with and they do not stand behind their products.

Original review: May 23, 2018

If you want to buy expensive failure prone A/C and Heating equipment, buy Trane. I have replaced blower motors 2 weeks apart in package units, and now over $8000.00 for a compressor in a 4 year old unit. Trane hides behind a 1 year warranty. Expensive horrible junk. Buy Trane... Start saving for huge repairs.

Original review: May 17, 2018

We purchased a "Beach" model 3-ton Trane since we are subject to salt spray. 10 years & 6 months later (6 months out of warranty), the unit does look like a brand new unit, no visible rust or corrosion. The "Trane Stopped!!" The unit started re-cycling more often than it had early on and then started re-cycling immediately. The technician, a Trane distributor, who installed the unit initially, came out with a "snifter" and found the "Aluminum Coil" to have several holes. The salt air took the coil out! WOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED WITH COPPER!!! MY days of recommending a higher priced TRANE to friends or anyone are over!!! I called Trane Customer Service and they said they recorded my concerns and that was that! Oh Well, so long Trane!

Original review: May 6, 2018

2 years ago I bought a new Trane AC for my house in Florida which is only used for 6 months per year from my family. From beginning the unit was always dropping water much more than my old AC. The Trane dealer always tried to stop it but we must live with these problems. Now the dropping was so heavy that the water pan under the AC brokes by the weight of the water. After discussion with Trane the dealer changed last Friday the cooling coils with the result that now water runs twice time faster than before. At the moment I must clean the water pan all 3 hours. It is near a full time job. Normally we come from Germany to Florida for holidays. Now we come to control always a new AC. "It is not hard to stop a Trane (you can shut the power off), it is much more harder to live with a Trane". Trane seems to be a very poor company, the units seems not to be State of The Art. I cannot recommend this company.

Original review: May 3, 2018

I bought 2 Trane Air Conditioners about 7 months ago. Paid over $18,000.00 for them. One of them has died already. Plus Trane sent the wrong part. Then has refused to send the right one. I've been without air for a week now and they have lied to the installer over and over that it is on its way & will be there within 1/2 hour. Not true. Trane used to be a great Air Conditioner, but not now and I'm so very sorry I bought these!

Original review: May 1, 2018

I purchased my Trane XR August 2016. Two weeks ago my air stopped working. I called my AC guy and told him. He came over and looked and said, "I have bad news." He said it's the coil and the price is 1500 and the cost for me is 500. I spent $7,500 spending good money on a product that I believed in. After reading reviews and have no air for 8 days I am over it. I contacted Trane. They want receipts showing that I service this properly which I plan on doing. I want them to pay the $500 because to me this is disgusting. Anybody that's reading this you may want to look at other products besides a Trane. Read 392 complaints. It seems like everybody is having problems with Trane. Parts are made poorly.

Original review: April 27, 2018

I have seen several other negative reviews (on the Consumer Affairs page) regarding Trane products and would like to add mine. I am retired and live on pension/social security, so I expect something that costs that amount of money to last much longer and not have to be repaired that often. The highly advertised "You Can't Stop a Trane" commercials are a JOKE. I have kept maintenance agreements since the unit was installed in 2011. When the unit (Trane Heat Pump XL 15i) was 4 years old the technician found several leaks and the repair bill for this was pretty hefty. I will give Trane credit for this repair. They refunded me about half of the repair cost; however, there have been several other issues since then.

I have had installed a condensate drain trap and air scrubber to help things run more efficiently. Also, in February 2018 I had all new duct work installed... again, to help things run more efficiently. The unit would have been 7 years old in June. While the parts are under warranty, the labor costs are out of my pocket. In 2017 the motor went out. In March of 2018 the outside unit was frozen and not defrosting. They switched it to emergency heat (which did not come on). It was found to be a relay switch was stuck on the heater control board.

In April 2018 it was short cycling and the contractor was found to be extremely pitted and burnt. They came back to install the new contractor and the system continued to short cycle. The system would go into vacuum and cause it to go out on low pressure and immediately try to come back on which is what burned up the previous contractor over time. Technician said there was a blockage and he needed to replace TXVs and coils to fix the blockage and that may not be a 100% guarantee fix. After the company I use contacted a Trane distributor to check on a repair cost for this it was quoted it could range anywhere from $2500 - $3100. I received a call today (from my most recent complaints) that they could not help in any way because I did not install another Trane unit. Really, why would I want another Trane product??? I am on hold again to see who else may be able to help. Totally ridiculous.

Original review: April 26, 2018

My wife and I are both retired seniors trying to get by on our pensions. We bought this house new in 2012 expecting at least ten years of trouble free operation from all our new appliances and Trane HVAC system. We have our HVAC system checked annually to assure it is functioning properly. In March our system was five years and one month old and the controller on the motor failed and the whole motor had to be replaced for $870 including labor.

One month later, the AC stopped cooling and maintenance was required again. This time the evaporator coil was leaking and needed to be replaced at a cost of $1167. So on a unit barely five years old and just out of warranty, we had put over $2000 in repairs into it. Now, we have no confidence in Trane.products. We leave this house vacant six months of the year for a condo in NH and must have a reliable HVAC unit in our Florida house. If it fails while we are away, dangerous mold can form. A brand new unit is about $2000. If we have another failure the new unit will not be a Trane.

Original review: April 24, 2018

I installed a Trane system just a few years ago with one promotion from Lowe's store and was the biggest mistake I ever did in my home. I live in Miami where the AC is always on because of the hot weather. My system is less than 5 years old and already had to change the coil inside motor. And before that there is a malfunction that the fan inside the house never stop not even without thermostat. And all the tech get complain that Trane does thing very difficult to tech get part replaced with the guarantee. So when I change this system again I don't want to see nothing with the Trane infront of me. Please save a lot of pain. Buying another brand.

Original review: April 17, 2018

My unit is 4 yrs old & the condenser coil broke. It has cost me $1200 for Freon & repairs. Called service to explain and ask for help since my unit is so new. Well, I shouldn't have wasted my time. Woman in dept was actually rude! They will do nothing to help you and I am a senior and live in poverty but that meant nothing. Don't buy Trane based on their reputation because they don't live up to it!!!

Original review: April 9, 2018

I installed a Trane unit last spring so this is my first winter with it. I am using more therms and my heating cost has gone up. They changed out the thermostat 2 weeks ago and it hasn't made a difference. Temp is set at 73 and I am sitting here with a heavy sweatshirt on and cold. I live in NC so we don’t get extreme weather and trust me if the outside temp are in the high 60s I’m in summer clothes and my windows are open. I would not recommend Trane.

Original review: April 4, 2018

We replaced our aging Goodman (18+ years) air conditioner with a new Trane XR17 5 ton unit; in the process also changing the condenser, coils & furnace with Trane units. Our old unit was beginning to show its age with frequent breakdowns (but no compressor failure yet) so we decided to go with a installer recommended system. The units were installed by AC Advance of Houston, on February 3rd, 2018 - during winter. Total bill $8400. With the coming of summer in Houston, the air conditioner was switched on - and the ac compressor failed after just 1 week of usage, on 1st April 2018! Not quite what would be expected from a 'premium' brand like Trane.

Right now we are stuck in a limbo. I have requested that the ac be replaced by a new unit - since I consider that the unit was new enough when it failed that I should get a new one. The installer is willing to pick it up and install for free - if we can get one. The local distributor for Trane - Hunton Distribution - has shrugged it off by saying that at best we can get a compressor replacement. I have reached out to Trane's warranty replacement - and they are 'doing due diligence' and 'thorough review' of our 'request'. Meanwhile we are sweltering in the Houston heat and humidity while we wait for them to decide on our 'request'. I will update once I hear back from Trane.

Original review: March 29, 2018

We lost our service January of 2018, Trane has put us off for 2 months not responding or giving us go around on our system. It's a year-and-a-half old it broke down. They sent Parts. It still doesn't run. Their responses, "We'll keep sending the correct parts until it's fixed," but I have to pay the labor at each time is about $2,000 and labor charges. I told them they needed to send me a new system. They offered me a $400 credit towards a new system of $9,000. That's just the outdoor Handler. Talking to Mr. ** was like pulling teeth. Absolutely no compassion for the customer without heat during the winter months. Offered no assistance whatsoever, it was almost as if he was saving money out of his own pocket by turning us down.

The system should have been under warranty and they should have taken care of my problems. Instead I ended up finding a reputable company called Carrier who stands behind their customers and their customer support department and it's been recommended by almost every dealer that I've gone to. Even though they sell Trane they tell me Trane has the worst customer service. That tells you something right there when the dealers know how bad the customer service at Trane and they don't want to put their customers through it. Run run run! Save yourself the hassle of ever having to talk with them. They won't support you anyway!

Original review: March 26, 2018

In 2008 we purchased what we thought was a top of the line product offered by Trane. We replaced the air handler and the heat pump for the home with a new matched Trane system. At that time we had increased the seer rating of the new unit to 14 instead of the required 12 and felt good that for once we would be doing the right thing by spending a little extra to buy quality and save on further utility expense as well. Well let me tell ya. Here it is 10 yrs later, the evaporator coil in the air handler has just failed and is leaking freon. The cost to replace the coil is roughly $2800 bucks. I called Trane and they tell me that the air handler unit is only covered up to 5 yrs and that the heat pump coil and compressor outside are covered for 10. I asked if it was possible for them to policy the replacement cost for the evap coil and there was no reply other than to say the unit is only covered for 5 yrs.

Here's my issue... Why isn't the whole dang thing covered for 10 yrs and why is this expensive, quality piece of equipment even starting to fall apart at the 10 yr mark. I really do not feel like or have the money to replace the entire unit at this time and it most likely wouldn't be a Trane the next go around. I guess the money I thought I was saving for the first 10 yrs I am actually spending in the end. Very disappointed with the product and the Trane company values.

Trane expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Dating back to 1910, Trane has a long history of innovation in the heating and cooling industry. One of their founders invented the convector radiator in 1923, and in 1938 the company introduced the industry’s first hermetic, centrifugal refrigeration machine. Today, homes and businesses alike rely on Trane’s proven track record as an innovative company that provides reliable, energy efficient heating and cooling year-round.

• Leader in green building technology: Trane custom designs green technology for businesses based on their building needs to ensure only the highest air quality for employees and their clients. Their systems are in some of the world’s finest and most popular buildings, including Toronto’s Skydome, Beijing’s World Trade Center complex and Washington D.C.’s Washington Monument.

• Leader in home air quality: Trane’s whole-house air filtration systems are proven to remove up to 99.8 percent of all air allergens and particles inside your home. In addition, the Trane website features a resource center for consumers to learn about air quality and figure out which products will benefit their particular situation.

• Specialization: Because they specialize in home air solutions, Trane is able to focus on the air solutions homes and businesses need. Their specialization has helped Trane achieve have over 1500 patents, making them a top innovator in the field of HVAC technology.

• Testing videos: Watch videos from the testing facility on the Trane website to see just how far the Trane Reliability Engineers are willing and able to take their products.

• Smart technology: Homeowners will appreciate the Nexia Home Intelligence when it’s connected with a Trane ComfortLink or ComfortLink II communicating control. This system allows homeowners to reduce their energy consumption by controlling their air conditioning systems remotely.

• Best for: those looking for a central air conditioning system who are also concerned about air quality.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs