Based on 47 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experienceDissatisfied with the experienceSatisfied with the experienceHappy with the experienceWould recommend to a friend
Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: March 21, 2018

340 Trane Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Rod of Coral Springs, FL Verified Reviewer
Original review: March 21, 2018

I paid $5000 for Trane unit approximately 10 months ago and had it installed by Air Rescue of Pompano Beach. It is been nothing but problems since the installation. I have to say that Carlos Of Air Rescue has been diligent in coming to my house and replacing parts on attempting to continue with repairs. He’s been out here over 10 times the last 10 months and we still do not have the problem resolved. I suggested that Trane replace the entire unit and was told flat out no by Carlos that ain’t going to happen. Carlos is schedule again to come out tomorrow and replace the control board. However he now points out that that is not the only problem.

I now have a problem with my ductwork which he states he is not responsible for. I’m having trouble understanding what he is saying because he connected the outflow air and the return air and yet hot air is being sucked in on the return from my attic. I need Trane to step up and take care of and stand behind their product as well as their selected vendor. I need Air Rescue to complete the job properly they have been paid for from inception.

John of Ormond Beach, FL Verified Reviewer
Original review: March 13, 2018

Purchased an expensive Trane HVAC unit 3 1/2 years ago and have had to replace the coil twice. This last time the coil leaked and caused the panel doors to crack according to the technician. The coil is under warranty but the labor to replace this piece is not and neither is the cost of the panel doors nor the labor to install them. The total cost with labor is over $1000. Trane is not taking any responsibility for the panel doors. I am contacting the Attorney General of Florida with this problem because I have been told by people in the HVAC industry that Trane products have become substandard and break down often. I do not think that I should be responsible for paying when an inferior product is being sold.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Judy of Cincinnati, OH Verified Reviewer
Original review: March 8, 2018

We did a major remodel 2 years ago and decided to replace old A/C and heater before it died. Smaller unit in same house was done a few years earlier. Used same local installer, but had to go through our contractor as we weren't on site during construction. Was never told about purchasing and extended warranty--- in AZ, only use the heat for a few short months with no extreme cold. What a huge mistake. Heat died exactly 2 years after we moved in, condenser parts covered, but not labor. $950 out of pocket. So sorry we replaced unit with a very expensive TRANE model. Stay away!!

Reid of North Palm Beach, FL Verified Reviewer
Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

Trane used to be the top tier but AC installers I have dealt with have told me to stay away from them. They are using cheaper parts to maximize profit. I learned the hard way just recently. My 4T AC unit started leaking due to a cracked PLASTIC pan. Warranty only covers parts, not labor. The installer told me my particular unit, new in 2014, has pan cracking issues. They told me to contact Trane for labor reimbursement due to lemon product. Trane was very rude and said no way, regardless of this being a common issue. I had to eat the $300 labor charge due to Trane's poor choice of materials. They would not compensate any of the labor charge. There was a freon leak as well, another $200 in labor. Rheem is the way to go. My friends, family, and I are done with Trane in this lifetime.

fernando of Coral Gables, FL Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

4 years ago the Trane condenser burned out. The air handler was also replaced with similar units. They too burned out after one week. A third unit was installed and I was told they were units made in now after 3 new units failing they installed a Rheem unit for the air handler and a Trane for the condenser. The condenser just burned out again, and I am told the same thing. Made in China...or Mexico?? Anyhow that is 4 units in 4 years...and my system is clean and all new.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trane?

For more information about reviews on please visit our FAQ.

Mabel of Miami, FL Verified Reviewer
Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

The Home Depot provider (ARS, a division of RotoRooter) has not repaired my unit because he alleges Trane is “punishing” them for not selling the brand after they went with plastic??? Bottom line is they have given me the runaround since December 12. My unit is under warranty and my worst fear is that one day my a/c has a problem. Heating in Miami is not needed too often although I had to purchase portable heaters for my birds when we had a few very cold days. I am very upset with ARS and with Home Depot and would like to know if what they say is true. I still doubt that a reputable company refuses to sell parts for one of its products which is just 5 years old. I was very happy with my unit until this happened.

L. B. of Mckinney, TX Verified Reviewer
Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Our unit is only 4 years old. We bought our house 1.5 years ago and had to have warranty work done almost as soon as we moved in, our out of pocket was $700. Now, the unit needs a compressor except Trane will not cover it since the warranty was not transferred from previous owner within 90 days. This is a $3000 job. Terrible customer service!!! Everyone was rude and passed me along to another number. Forget fixing this piece of junk! I'll be buying a new unit that actually works!

Joanna of Clearwater, FL Verified Reviewer
Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

2.5 ton HVAC unit defective coil - Unit was installed on May 24, 2014. One month beyond unit installation guarantee on parts and labor the unit quit cooling. The unit originally cost $4,500 and the installer BURGESS AIR CONDITIONING LOCATED IN CLEARWATER FLORIDA does not offer financing. Two years and one month later, we required service and the replacement of the coil which cost us $891. Time to repair unit by obtaining the coil took over 2 weeks. 90+ degree temperature over this period. The part was NOT EXPEDITED for delivery for our unit. Burgess or Trane would not take any action. Would you believe that Trane offered $109 for our inconvenience. Burgess told us where we could buy a portable unit until ours was fixed.

Kathy of Naples, FL Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I purchased a Trane heating and AC unit on Feb. 29, 2016. In August 2016, the evaporator coil went out, it was under warranty so it was replaced. Now less than 2 years later it's out again. My installer wants $590.00 to replace it. I said no and contacted Trane. They said they would pay $390.00 and I was responsible for the rest. This is not fair. After reading other consumer reports I see I'm not alone. This equipment is junk.

Harold of Dalton, GA Verified Reviewer
Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

Can we not sue Trane for selling us junk. My Trane AC unit is 2 years old now out of service warranty. Has stopped working 5 times in 2 years. I'm right now without heat. Why can't we sue for our money back. I paid 5300 for crap.

Liza of Charlottesville, VA Verified Reviewer
Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

Trane xl20i - Mine started failing at 6 years. Technician after technician told me how horrible they are. When I called the service manager at Albemarle Heating and Air, he denied everything his techs had said. If you are getting a 79 error code, it’s probably your motherboard rather than a pressure problem.

Linda of Mt. Holly, NC Verified Reviewer
Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

My Trane unit was put in back in 2010. One small part went out within 12 months. Did not get concerned because it was a small cost and covered under the warranty. Two weeks ago I noticed the fan motor was not running correctly. Called someone out and like the other reviews it was the coil leaking Freon. At first the repair was going to be 1600.00. Then jumped to 3000.00 because apparently Trane doesn't stand by their extended warranty. Told the guy I would not pay that to have it fixed. I paid 6300.00 for this unit and only had it for 7 years and 10 months. What a waste! Will never allow anything Trane to be put in my home again.

Douglas of Scottsdale, AZ Verified Reviewer
Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

I bought this house that had two XR14 4-1/2 ton Trane Split heat pumps that were installed in 2010. The first major issue was April 2017. The coil in the air handler corroded from dissimilar metal corrosion. $3000 later for a Trane Parent American Standard Air Handler. July 2017 same thing happened. The repair guy put in $400 worth of super seal to get us through so they would not have to replace the other air handler in the attic. Nov 2017 it died. $6500 for an American Standard split Heat pump replacement. Jan 2018 the original Trane Condensing unit GE ECM condensing fan motor failed is been warm so researching why Trane would use a variable speed motor in an application where the whole unit is a single speed and the condensing fan runs at single speed.

The main difference (Wholesale $600) vs a $150 + $10 capacitor connected to your T1 & T2 terminals. My AC guy said that the won't get a computer code when the fan fails again. I'm like DUHHHH! The compressor was running and the fan stopped. That's how I know it failed. Why would I need a computer to tell me the P.O.S. TRANE unit has failed. I am not expecting much better out of the American Standard. I am sure they are all made in the same place with different labels slapped on them. I know some of the cheaper brands do the same thing from a rental property where my 12 SEER unit ran for over 20 years. Doesn't Take much to stop a Trane but it sure takes an act of God to get the parts for them.

Richard of Creedmoor, NC Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I purchased a Trane heating and AC unit, in 2009, for my home due to having senior parents and not wanting the Heat/AC to go out during extreme weather. I believed the advertising that "Trane makes America's was the most reliable Heat/AC systems". In 2017 I started having issues with Freon leaking from the coil. $600.00.

In 2018 I was told I had to replace the coil and it would cost $2200.00. At first the service tech said it wasn't covered by the warranty, so I decided to call Trane's Customer Relations. They told me the coil was covered and they gave me a customer ID#, so I had the work done. After the work was completed the tech said they called Trane and was told that the coil was not covered. I called Trane's Customer Relations and they told me that if my unit was installed before May 1, 2009, then the coil was covered. I tracked down the paperwork and the unit was installed before May 1, 2009. I called Trane and informed them.

They then said the outer coil had a 10 year warranty, but the inner coil has a five year warranty, so now I had to find out which coil was replaced. It ended up being a circus and I just paid the $2200.00. The bottom line is; the unit should not have failed in the first place, warranty or not. Do not buy a product from Trane. If they would spend less on advertising and more on their product then the product would sell itself. I will say my repair tech did a great job.

Timothy of Casa Grande, AZ Verified Reviewer
Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I had a new Trane HVAC unit installed three years ago after having nothing but problems for years with the original unit that came with the new house I bought. When we turned on the heat this year nothing but cold air came out. The installer came out and tells me that the TXV unit is bad, has a clog, and a hole is in the freon line coming off the TXV. Total cost $1400 so far. When I talked to Trane they won't cover anything but replace the TXV which I have to pay to be installed. Due to it failing I have to pay for the Freon, and due to it blocking the line it caused a leak in the line, I have to pay for it to be repaired. TRANE claims to be the best there is, IT IS JUNK. Three years and a major failure of parts are not normal and as a consumer, I should not have to spend thousands of dollars to fix TRANE junk. STAY AWAY FROM TRANE, poor product and no customer service.

Peter of Margate, FL Verified Reviewer
Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

Bought a brand new unit 2-1/4 years ago. Selected an installer from Trane's own website. After 2-1/4 years of service the unit the condenser coil (aluminum) got a pin-hole leak. Installer wanted $2000.00 to fix it!!!! And THIS was under warranty! Trane offered to "help" by paying 15%. We went a different route and will NEVER EVER EVER EVER. Not for our homes or our commercial buildings NEVER EVER. I highly suggest you avoid Trane at all costs. They are trash. The 10 year parts warranty is useless since the part is of almost no value. The labor and the refrigerant is where all the costs are. AVOID!

bill of Brick, NJ Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

This Trane air cond 3 ton wasn't working the day my installer put it in the first year it was installed. Sept 2014 something with a valve and the wrong oil used in this units and Trane knew about this problem. Took over 6 weeks to repair. It was a nightmare. Even my installer didn't want to fix it. Took weeks for a part. They would not rush to help me, my wife and mother in law who had health issues. They were ** on the phone.

Now I have a bigger problem with the heat system once again. ** cost me 700 dollars out of my pocket this time. This unit only 3 years old. 200 for shipping, 500 for labor and still waiting for part November 11, 2017. O-rings in the heat exchanger are burnt out like the space shuttle Challenger in 1984. This causes the furnace to run hot and will not lit so now you're in the cold. Check it out on youtube. If you want to be hot in the summer, cold in the winter with a big repair bill Take my advice. Do not even think of buy a Trane AC or heating or whatever else there. Wish I knew beforehand.

Barbara of Pembroke Pines, FL Verified Reviewer
Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Purchased new Trane AC in Sept. 2015 for about $5000. Exactly 2 year later unit not cooling. Testing indicated leaking coils. Told unit was under warranty for parts but stunned that the labor to replace coils, initial test to determine problem and replace leaking Freon would be $1200! Nov. 1, 2017 now need a new fan motor since this one won’t shut off. Another labor charge. Where does this end? Most reviews on Trane say the same thing. It not fair nor realistic to put out this much money on a 2 yr old unit that has been consistently under a maintenance plan. One prior positive comment was about an OLD unit that had run well for years. That was our past experience but the current units are poorly made and Trane doesn’t care. See the pictures posted above by an independent review of defective Trane units. I won’t purchase once again and neither will our business. They are losing a commercial account because of this problem at home.

charles of Fuquay Varina, NC Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

Have a 2 unit heating, cooling system. Installed new in 2012 (cost about $15,000). Now 5 years old. Had tech check unit as it appeared to take longer to cool upstairs just last week. After $450 service call, added 3 lbs Freon, was told coil has leak. Was advised it is common deficiency with these 2012 Trane XR15 units. Good news. Coil is covered by warranty. Bad news is labor and cost to service unit again will be another $1200. After Googling have found very high number of similar issues with this company, Trane, and these units. My question is where is protection for the consumer when it is apparent there are expensive manufacturing defects associated with these units.

Jackie of Galena Park, TX Verified Reviewer
Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I'm writing this review in regards to Trane air conditioning and heating unit that we purchased in 2015. Just after having unit for six months we had to replace the compressor unit outside. I continue to make calls to the installers of this unit regarding the air-conditioner not cooling. After coming to our house six different times to service the air-conditioner and installing Freon in the unit multiple times. We were told our air-conditioner now require new evaporator coils. The cost would be $995. I then decided to get another opinion of what was wrong with our air conditioner.

Each person I had look at the unit had something different to tell me about what was wrong with it. I then decided to call the Trane manufacturer. They gave me a name of a Trane dealer teams. So I called them. They came out, told us that we needed to have the Expansion valve replaced. We did. That was $350, That didn't fix the unit so they had to do a complete unit inspection and have a trane support team tell them what was wrong with it. Now we need evaporator coils replaced. Now it's another $950. This air-conditioner is less than two years old and we've had nothing but problems. Trane Will not stand behind their product. Do not buy a Trane.

Carmen of Toms River, NJ Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

On May 23, 2016 I had a Trane 3 Ton, 16 SEER Condenser & Air Handler installed at my residence. This system uses R410a. On July 25, 2016 the units were no longer cooling, so I went outside to see what was happening. When I looked into the condenser unit I saw that the top of the compressor was cherry red so I disconnected power and called the installer. He came the next day and put some oil in the lines stating it must be a bad TXV valve. So I asked him to get a new one and he said that would not be necessary the oil "did the job". It ran for the remainder of the summer.

On Aug 15th 2017 the compressor started banging, going on and off, and water was coming out of the emergency drip pan PVC line. So again, I called the installer and he said given what I said happened he will order new parts; compressor and TXV. WELL it is 4 weeks now and still no parts. Call the 800 number you say? I did 5 times, I have a reference number. I know them by first name. Their answer; "We understand you are upset." They can't get the parts, WILL NOT replace the units and will not give me my purchase price back. So what's a person to do? NEVER buy a TRANE - they continue to field defective units full well knowing they will break down in less than a year. And from I have read in this column, I am not that confident these replacement parts, should they ever arrive, are not going to be a permanent solution. It important to remember this system failed in less than 2 months of operation.

Lena of Winder, GA Verified Reviewer
Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

I bought a new indoor and outdoor Trane system in May 2013 (after saving for one year with no a/c or heat in the house) thinking that I made a good choice. I really believed their manipulative slogan NOTHING STOPS A TRANE which it needs to changed to TRANE NEVER STARTS, I am such a fool for believing that. Shortly after we had it installed we started having problems. So far we spent $1250 in repair on this Trane product. Tried to contact Trane to get reimbursed for some of this expense and they offered one time goodwill gesture of $85.12 and at the end saying "hope you will trust our product in the future". I will never buy another Trane product. I have already stopped 2 people from buying a Trane product.

Roger of Euless, TX Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

This AC unit was purchased New in Oct, 2013 and has failed for different reasons every year since. First it was the expansion valve, then the capacitor and then the evaporator coil. The warranty does not cover the labor, refrigerant or materials. So far, I am out $2,400 and the unit has been out of service for over 14 days in 3 years. Customer Service at Trane, what a joke, said they weren't responsible as a manufacturer because there are too many variables controlled by the selling dealer and suggested I purchase an extended warranty! DONT BUY A TRANE XR13.

Alan of Brunswick, OH Verified Reviewer
Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

They replaced my compressor under warranty, then the replaced unit quit 10 months later. "Sorry Charlie, we already replaced it once." WHAT??? Yep, that was the answer. NEVER, NEVER BUY A TRANE UNIT...

Royal of Spring, TX Verified Reviewer
Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

Had a new Trane unit installed May 2016. Compressor has burned out. They will not pay for lost Freon or service charges to install a replacement. This is about $1000. Will not recommend or buy another Trane product.

Richard of St Louis, MO Verified Reviewer
Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

Trane unit cost $4,000 and is continuously breaking down. I bought this Trane home AC system 3 years ago. It stopped working last summer because the oil in the compressor was incorrect from the manufacturer based on the HVAC repair company I bought the unit from. They changed it out and it has worked this season until now. Out of nowhere the unit has frozen up and shut down. My last system was a Comfortmaker and lasted 28 years without any major breakdowns. Can someone tell me exactly what the problem is with TRANE equipment???

JB of Jackson, SC Verified Reviewer
Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

Purchased a 3 1/2 tn XR 13 heat pump 2-2014. Last week it stopped cooling. Contacted the installer. They found a leak where the coil was connected to the compressor. It was a failed solder connection. This repair cost $1200 mostly the cost of refrigerant R410a. Trane warranty excludes the cost of refrigerants. One disappointed consumer in South Carolina!

Steven and Karen of P.O. Box 399, TX Verified Reviewer
Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

Put in new unit 2014. Took two weeks plus to make it run, never has run cold. In first year the compressor, evaporator coil, expansion valve, and circuit board replaced. Next year it stopped again. The tech. came out and "fixed" it again. Still not cold. 2016 broke again, evacuated Freon. Put in weighed charge. Replaced some parts and left, still not cold. 2017 stopped working. Original company quit working or selling Trane. Called four companies to fix it. All four said no longer will work on this system because of no Trane support plus Trane techs do not know XV20i heat pumps. NEVER BUY TRANE!!!

Angela of West Palm Beach, FL Verified Reviewer
Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

I purchased a "top of the line" XR 15 3 ton TRANE A/C in '09 at a cost of 4500.00 With a rebate from FPL for 495.00. I purchased a larger than needed, unit... so it didn't have to work as hard and because I didn't want to be doing this job again... in 4-5 years. COIL, being replaced today, 1100.00 dollars. Apparently, TRANE, are NO LONGER TOP OF THE LINE. LENNOX, have replaced them. SawGrass, who installed the unit don't do business with Trane anymore. Lots of companies have dropped them. Very sad. Astronomical costs, involved. Sorry, I never bought their products, to begin with. Maybe, I was lucky, reading the comments here... will not let anyone I know buy their products either.

David of Oceanside, NY Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: July 29, 2017

I own a 2 ton central AC unit (XR-15). Within 4 1/2 years the AC coil sprung a leak. When I had the service fix it, the coil was covered but they didn't/don't pay for anyone to install the new part. To make matters worst, because of the leaky part, all the AC coolant leaked out, and that's not covered either. What a joke... I thought they were a great company. When I called to complain that agreed all the coolant leaked out due to the bad coil, but said they only cover the part, and the service and coolant is on me. Last time I buy a Trane!

Trane expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Dating back to 1910, Trane has a long history of innovation in the heating and cooling industry. One of their founders invented the convector radiator in 1923, and in 1938 the company introduced the industry’s first hermetic, centrifugal refrigeration machine. Today, homes and businesses alike rely on Trane’s proven track record as an innovative company that provides reliable, energy efficient heating and cooling year-round.

• Leader in green building technology: Trane custom designs green technology for businesses based on their building needs to ensure only the highest air quality for employees and their clients. Their systems are in some of the world’s finest and most popular buildings, including Toronto’s Skydome, Beijing’s World Trade Center complex and Washington D.C.’s Washington Monument.

• Leader in home air quality: Trane’s whole-house air filtration systems are proven to remove up to 99.8 percent of all air allergens and particles inside your home. In addition, the Trane website features a resource center for consumers to learn about air quality and figure out which products will benefit their particular situation.

• Specialization: Because they specialize in home air solutions, Trane is able to focus on the air solutions homes and businesses need. Their specialization has helped Trane achieve have over 1500 patents, making them a top innovator in the field of HVAC technology.

• Testing videos: Watch videos from the testing facility on the Trane website to see just how far the Trane Reliability Engineers are willing and able to take their products.

• Smart technology: Homeowners will appreciate the Nexia Home Intelligence when it’s connected with a Trane ComfortLink or ComfortLink II communicating control. This system allows homeowners to reduce their energy consumption by controlling their air conditioning systems remotely.

• Best for: those looking for a central air conditioning system who are also concerned about air quality.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

Trane Company Information

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Let's talk

ConsumerAffairs ranks 562 on Inc. 5000 for 2017

Advertisements on this site are placed and controlled by outside advertising networks. does not evaluate or endorse the products and services advertised. See the FAQ for more information.

The information on our website is general in nature and is not intended as a substitute for competent legal advice. makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information herein provided and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from the use thereof.