1.12/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

405 Trane Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I purchased two Brand new Trane 15 Seer Air Conditioning/Heat Pump Units, from a reputable HVAC Company, whom also installed the units. I was told Trane was the top of the line and worth paying more to have the best, peace of mind, 10 year warranty, etc. It's been less than two years and one of my units needs a new evaporator coil. The part is under warranty, but the labor is going to cost me $800!! The AC Guy told me that they don't make Trane Units like they used to. The parts aren't made by trane, they're either made in China or Mexico and Trane doesn't stand behind them. The AC Guy also told me that there are so many bad Coil's that they're on back order. I'm very disappointed in Trane products and don't recommend spending the extra money.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I purchased a Trane in 2011 (this my second purchase the first was in 2002). My paperwork indicates that there is 10 years on the compressor and parts. However, buried in the installer's guide is the fact that it only applies if registered within 60 days (which I did not do). If not registered it is only 5 years. My unit is installed on the roof, my question is why would I read through the installation guide. My installer who has been selling only Trane for over 15 years has tried to work with Trane to assist to no avail. I also spoke with Trane and all they would say is that the unit is out of warranty. I have serviced my unit 2 times each year since purchased. I would not buy another Trane as I think getting less than 10 years is unacceptable and not getting assistance from the company for a repeat customer is also not very good service.

Get expert buying tips about Air Conditioners delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

Bought a Trane 15 months and had several issues with the unit. We use LP for the heat, the company installed a natural gas unit. Unit quit cooling and the repair company said it was a leak in the evaporator coil. Price to repair $212.50. Unit cooled for a couple days and they came back out and said the condenser coil had a leak. Price to repair $999.00. This is the worst company and I recommend buying a Goodman over this crap. Called Trane and they did not want to do anything but offer some help on the 999.00 bill. STAY AWAY FROM TRANE!!!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

Purchased a Trane XV80 furnace and air unit in 2014. March 2017 blower motor overheated and locked up. Part under warranty but had to pay labor. January 2019 replacement blower burnt up, capacitors fried, caught on fire. Part under warranty but had to pay labor. This is a faulty product and Trane doesn't want to acknowledge it. I can't keep replacing new blowers every 2 years. I am looking into a class action lawsuit against Trane.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

We purchased a top of the line Trane 5 ton and a next step down 2.5 ton unit for our home. Dec 2016 and Jan 2019 the coil went. What I find extremely frustrating is that the part is covered just not the labor which I get until I found out it is a big job and costs $1600! First of all, the part should last more than 2 years for crying out loud and the labor is crazy to replace it. Total rip off. I had a junk Rheem when we build the house (not energy efficient but it lasted almost 15 years with NO problems!) Funny thing is my Mom also purchased a 5-ton a year ahead of me and her coil went in exactly 25 months as well. Buyer beware and get any extended warranty possible for labor. My confidence is shot. I have to hope I don't deal with this every 2 years.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trane?

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I am a extremely low income widow. I had to get a new heat and air unit 06/15. It has been repaired 12-15 times. I can't afford the cost of repairs for this LEMON. Trane won't even talk about replacing this piece of junk. I need HELP!!!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I have never experienced more issues with HVAC units in my life than with Trane. We purchased #2 4 ton H/P Condensers and V/S air handlers and 1 #2 ton condenser and a 2 ton air handler, all with media cabinets, retrofit to “existing electrical, freon lines and replaced as much ductwork as possible”. Paid over $37k in 7/2016. Since then, we have had mold from moisture leaks, condensers just “stop running”, now a “4 ton air handler” has an evaporator coil refrigerant leak!!! What??? I was under the impression that Trane is known for aluminum coils and they last for YEARS!!! Why is this costing me $1500??? I just paid over $800 less than 3 months ago for ductwork and Armour Flex due to leaks. Is this a faulty install job or a thin coil that Trane needs to cover the labor costs and refrigerant? Ridiculous.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I am done dealing with Trane. Turns out "Nothing can stop a Trane" except bad customer service. Purchased a packaged rooftop HVAC unit about a year ago. It suddenly stopped working. Inspection showed the fan shroud had not been installed correctly at the factory (missing a rivet) and in time it drop down, caught the fan and ripped it from the remaining anchors. Fan & motor also damaged.

Contact my installer who informed me that the shroud, fan & motor would be covered but not labor ($480) & the top cover (all bent up) because it is not a functional part of the unit (ignoring the fact it hold the fan assembly & shroud). So, add $800 to the cost of the unit. I contacted Trane myself & escalate the issue. They did not care, simply quoting the warranty. I gave up, did my best to bend the top back into place, bought a rivet gun, and fixed it myself in about two hours. This is the 4th Trane I have purchased in my remodel business. It is the last. Plenty of other options.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

Sooo I have a 2017 unit that has already needed a blower motor and now the defrost panel has went out. There is a month and a half backorder on a defrost panel so no heat for me and my family. Wow is all I can say.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I would not recommend a Trane to anyone that I know. Maybe someone that I didn't like I would though. After having to replace one unit upstairs and another unit now down stairs Trane is saying they will not cover anything under the 10 year coverage because we did not file a piece of paper registering the unit. This is crazy. I have never heard of a customer service also that was so rude and just didn't care about the person they were talking to. I won't name names but the 2 people I talked to basically told me to ** off in a nice way. Everything stops a Trane don't believe the commercials at all.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

The evaporator coil had to be replaced in 15 months. Now in 20 months the compressor has been replaced. On top of the labor costs to repair, there were service calls to diagnosis the problems. It's hard to recommend a Trane.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I bought a Trane system exactly 2 years ago. The coil is already leaking. Trane will cover parts, but I still have to pay up $1100 for labor. I thought I was buying a quality product and I expected at least 5 years of peace of mind. My first home was a Ryan home built out of some of the cheapest materials you can buy. I lived there for 10 years and never had an issue with the AC. The house I live in also had a cheap AC (where the new Trane system is now installed) and it didn't start giving me trouble after 12 years. And here I am with a brand new top of the line 'nothing stops a Trane' system and less than 2 years after installation I'm having to fork out money for repairs.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Bought a new house in June 2017 and saw that it had a Trane HVAC unit with a heat pump. I was thinking it would be like the Trane unit my dad bought 30 years ago that is still running, but it wasn't. AC worked fine from June till November when it started getting cold. Turned the heat on and the house actually got colder from the air coming out. Called the builder and filed a warranty claim. The HVAC installation company Carolina Comfort wanted to leave me without heat for 2 weeks. I called my realtor who got the builder involved and 5 days later they had the new valve to food it. Called the dealer and Trane telling them this was ridiculous and they needed to replace the unit since it was overheated from the bad valve. They said not going to happen.

Fast forward to December 2018, as it got cold again and I turn the heat on it worked for one day then blew cold air cooling our house instead of heating it before I shut it off. Called Carolina comfort again and they looked at it and said the compressor failed from running last year with a bad TXV. Called Trane again and they said it's fixed, that's all they are going to do. I explained that I am not comfortable with this unit being 0 for 2 in 18 months during heat season. They said it is what it is. Next time I'll buy a carrier Lenox or even a Goodman before I ever buy a Trane unit. And if I buy a house with a Trane unit already there, I'm going to get a warranty to plan on replacing that trash. Done with buying Trane.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I purchased a new A/C unit in September of 2018. I have only had the unit for 3 months. Within 3 months I have had to have the coils replaced twice, but that is not the reason for the bad review. The Trane air conditioners are EXTREMELY LOUD! I have to turn my T.V. volume up while the air handler is running. I recently turned on the heat. Each time the heat turns on the unit makes a very loud click. I was told by the repair guy that the clicking is the relay in the heater. I did not have any of these problems with my Carrier and Rheem units. It is very hard to get a good night's sleep with this loud Trane air conditioner. I feel like I wasted $5K!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I installed a Trane residential HVAC system in my home in 2012 and strongly encourage anyone looking to replace their home HVAC system to look anywhere else but at Trane. The system has broken down a number of times and recently the igniter switch has burned out three time in the past month. The installer cannot find the reason and now I am told that I have to replace a board with a cost in excess of $1,000. This is after replacing the igniter switch twice at a cost or $200 per switch. I called Trane and all they could tell me was that I am out of the warranty period. Clearly Trane does not stand behind their products. Pick another manufacturer and avoid Trane.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I recently moved into my custom built home. During the planning phase I requested TRANE equipment due to prior good experiences. Upon completion I had no idea that the TRANE equipment had to be registered 60 days after closing (I am sure it's stated in the fine print or piles of documents one receives when purchasing a new house). Minor mistake... WRONG! The difference is with a brand new home and brand new trane furnace/ac/coil equipment you lose 5-7 yrs of warranty on the equipment if you do not register in 60 days... NO EXCEPTIONS, NO OPTIONS, NO INTERMEDIARY SOLUTIONS. BASICALLY NO ONE THAT APPARENTLY REALLY CARES!

I strongly recommend using another company that is more transparent with their policies and has a real customer service department that is equipped to do the right thing when necessary! 10 year parts warranty if you register in 60 days! 5 & 3 year warranty if you don't... same new equipment, same new house but a rigid, ridiculous policy that none of their customer relations employees can even really defend. We've already had the furnace go down (23F outside) & now I learn about their policies & customer relations efforts. I'll never make this mistake again (Trane equipment).

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I bought a Trane AC/Furnace and compressor in April 2016. In October 2018, the evaporator coil was leaking and not cooling my Houston home. I called the dealer that installed the system. They came right out. Told me that the coil needed to be replaced. They had to put 4 containers of coolant in until they could replace it. Bill was about $350. Was told that part was under warranty but labor not covered. The labor would cost about $700. WHAT!!! Coils should not go out so soon! Clearly, it was defective and I should NOT have to pay to have it replaced. Would never recommend a TRANE to anyone. Not even an enemy.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

We had a Trane XL18 heat and air conditioning unit installed the end of October. Before the installers left they brought it to our attention that the air conditioning unit was louder than it should be. They checked with their boss and he told us we could either get a new compressor or a whole new unit. We opted for the new unit. Been waiting three weeks got back to the company who installed Trane and they told us Trane will only replace the compressor not the whole unit. I contacted Trane and they said they would fix it not replace it. Apparently Trane has poor quality control of the products leaving their factory. Think twice before you buy a Trane.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I am a HVAC service provider. I have a customer with a 3 yr old Trane unit under warranty. I ordered a replacement part under warranty. The part came in. I went to pick it up with the failed part at the local Trane supply in Chesterfield, Virginia and was told I still had to pay for a warranty part and would be reimburse later. They are fooling themselves if they believe that they have the best product and are engaging in false advertising when they say nothing can stop a Trane. The failure rate of their units are the worst in the industry.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

In late Feb or early March 2014 I had the unit installed new. I have had my unit serviced twice a year (spring & fall) since installation. March 2 2018 tech serviced unit and said TXV was bad and at the sum of $375 out of pocket I had it replaced. October 25 2018 I had my unit serviced and tech said TXV was gone out again. After discussion, tech said Byrum h/A service manager told him they would waive all repair fees except for Trane's warranty fee of $50. And I told him I wasn't paying for a warranty fee of a defective part or possibly improper installation. Within 5 min all charges were waive and everything was going to be replaced at no charge. Researching I found that an additive needed to be added to properly lubricate the TXV and keep it from sticking which is a major cause of failure.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Be careful in buying house that has a pre-existing Trane unit. Apparently if you don’t register as a new owner within 90 days of closing Trane will cut your warranty by more than 50%. When I contacted customer service, they blamed the previous owner for not informing us of the this requirement.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I recently built a home for my family in Miami, FL and decided to go with Trane as we were assured that while they were more expensive than the competition they are a better product and offer impeccable customer service. Nothing could be further from the truth. Our A/C system has broken down six (6) times since it was installed 9 months ago, the most recent one happening last Wednesday Sept 27, when the Air Handler motor and Harness simply died and need to be replaced by a new one.

We’ve been on the hunt for a new motor and not only can’t the local South Florida Distributor can’t seem to find one in the whole state, they need to request one from the factory, which can’t assure shipping of a new motor until Friday, October 5, this is more than 8 whole days after the A/C first broke down. We have gone ahead and gotten in touch with someone within Trane corporate for help expediting the shipment of the missing part and even with their involvement we haven’t been able to track down the part.

What’s worse is that there are several new, unsold A/C units similar to our waiting to be sold in Miami arase county and the manufacturer refuses to take the spare part from an unsold unit nor will they change the unit altogether, which I believe is warranted as my current one is obviously filthy since it died after only 9 months of use. In conclusion, don’t do business with this company. Not only will you end up spending a fortune for their product but their unit are faulty and if you ever needed a spare part, you can spend weeks without one.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

When we built our house 8 years ago, the builder insisted on installing a TRANE unit with the suggestion that they were a very reputable company with a good product. In the 8 years we've had it, we've had 4 service calls on this unit, the last one was today and the tech informed me that the cheap copper tubing was rusted through and the condenser was damaged, total cost of repair will run me over $ 2600 to replace the air handler, the coil and filter drier. This is utterly inexcusable. I've probably spent almost 1500 already on service calls and repairs on an 8 year old unit, pathetic.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

We purchased an American Standard/Trane HVAC unit in 2012 with a 5 year warranty. When they installed our furnace in 2012 they also installed the air conditioning coils but the outdoor unit was not installed until a year later. Therefore, the air conditioning coils were not in use until that time. Our AC failed less than 5 years later and the cause was the air conditioning coils. Not only were we without air conditioning during a record heat wave, we had to pay nearly 1200 in repairs. I have had a very bad experience with the Customer Escalation Department at Trane. They told me that even though the unit was clearly not in use for 5 years, they could not and would not provide any compensation for our costs. We chose American Standard because we thought we were purchasing from a good company who would stand behind their product. We were so wrong!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

We purchased an American Standard Gold (made by Trane with Trane customer service) HVAC system for our upstairs area in 2012. We did so based ratings and quality reviews. We had good Trane systems in our previous homes with no major issues. This current system experienced 8 breakdowns in the past six years with four this year alone. In nearly every case it was a different issue. I have paid more than $3000.00 in repairs in spite of having a 10 year parts warranty with the system. I have never had such failures of HVAC in any of the homes that I have owned over the past 40 years.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

Bought new furnace and quit working after 2 months - pipes froze due to 20 degrees cold. Igniter rod bad and technician replaced with new $15 different rod and works fine since. Tech said they had 2-3 other new Trane furnaces with same problem - Trane should have done a recall! Had $3000 in damage and Trane would not cover it!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

When we purchased Trane products three years ago, we did so because we believed in the quality of the product. We are extremely disappointed that they do not stand behind their product. Although they will send out a new part at no cost, they will not cover labor costs to replace a part that should not have failed in the first place. They do not even offer to pay a portion of the cost. When you make an expensive purchase, and you choose what you believe to be a quality company, you do not expect items to fail and if they do, you expect the company to take care of their customers. BEWARE!!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I recently found it necessary to replace my 20 year old central HVAC. I contacted a local HVAC contractor in Denver for the job. They replaced my system with new a Trane furnace and A/C system. After waiting in 90 degree heat for 10 days for the equipment to be delivered and another 2 days for installation, when they flipped the switch - nothing! After another day of troubleshooting they discovered that a circuit board was defective!

8 days later, the new circuit board arrived. That finally got the A/C working. After a few days I noticed that the fan noise was really loud, constantly. After another service call, they determined that the fan controller was defective, and oh by the way, the heating was not working. I'm sure it will take another 10 days to get a new controller. This is on a brand new, top of the line, $15k system. I strongly recommend that you consider another vendor for your HVAC. Trane clearly has quality control issues.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

We replaced our entire HVAC system in 2008 with a Trane heat pump and gas furnace. We got a 10 year warranty, which we used extensively. The warranty ran out in February of 2018 and I found out today that the blower motor has burn out, again. Previously the blower motor was replaced under warranty. Now it will cost $1,500 to replace the blower motor. I will never buy another Trane product and won't even buy from a HVAC company that sells Trane.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I usually don't write reviews, but I am so disappointed in my HVAC purchase I couldn't help myself. DO NOT BUY A TRANE PRODUCT!!! I've had Carrier before and it was a much superior product. My Trane has only lasted 2 years and now I need a new coil supposedly. Of course no warranty on labor so in addition to the 5K I spent 2 years ago, I am now about to drop another 700.00 for service and labor. If this is any indication of how well this unit is going to hold up, I will be buying another unit before this one is even 5 years old. Avoid the TRANE wreck!

Trane expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Dating back to 1910, Trane has a long history of innovation in the heating and cooling industry. One of their founders invented the convector radiator in 1923, and in 1938 the company introduced the industry’s first hermetic, centrifugal refrigeration machine. Today, homes and businesses alike rely on Trane’s proven track record as an innovative company that provides reliable, energy efficient heating and cooling year-round.

• Leader in green building technology: Trane custom designs green technology for businesses based on their building needs to ensure only the highest air quality for employees and their clients. Their systems are in some of the world’s finest and most popular buildings, including Toronto’s Skydome, Beijing’s World Trade Center complex and Washington D.C.’s Washington Monument.

• Leader in home air quality: Trane’s whole-house air filtration systems are proven to remove up to 99.8 percent of all air allergens and particles inside your home. In addition, the Trane website features a resource center for consumers to learn about air quality and figure out which products will benefit their particular situation.

• Specialization: Because they specialize in home air solutions, Trane is able to focus on the air solutions homes and businesses need. Their specialization has helped Trane achieve have over 1500 patents, making them a top innovator in the field of HVAC technology.

• Testing videos: Watch videos from the testing facility on the Trane website to see just how far the Trane Reliability Engineers are willing and able to take their products.

• Smart technology: Homeowners will appreciate the Nexia Home Intelligence when it’s connected with a Trane ComfortLink or ComfortLink II communicating control. This system allows homeowners to reduce their energy consumption by controlling their air conditioning systems remotely.

• Best for: those looking for a central air conditioning system who are also concerned about air quality.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs