1.26/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Trane

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 8, 2017

323 Trane Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

Have a 2 unit heating, cooling system. Installed new in 2012 (cost about $15,000). Now 5 years old. Had tech check unit as it appeared to take longer to cool upstairs just last week. After $450 service call, added 3 lbs Freon, was told coil has leak. Was advised it is common deficiency with these 2012 Trane XR15 units. Good news. Coil is covered by warranty. Bad news is labor and cost to service unit again will be another $1200. After Googling have found very high number of similar issues with this company, Trane, and these units. My question is where is protection for the consumer when it is apparent there are expensive manufacturing defects associated with these units.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I'm writing this review in regards to Trane air conditioning and heating unit that we purchased in 2015. Just after having unit for six months we had to replace the compressor unit outside. I continue to make calls to the installers of this unit regarding the air-conditioner not cooling. After coming to our house six different times to service the air-conditioner and installing Freon in the unit multiple times. We were told our air-conditioner now require new evaporator coils. The cost would be $995. I then decided to get another opinion of what was wrong with our air conditioner.

Each person I had look at the unit had something different to tell me about what was wrong with it. I then decided to call the Trane manufacturer. They gave me a name of a Trane dealer teams. So I called them. They came out, told us that we needed to have the Expansion valve replaced. We did. That was $350, That didn't fix the unit so they had to do a complete unit inspection and have a trane support team tell them what was wrong with it. Now we need evaporator coils replaced. Now it's another $950. This air-conditioner is less than two years old and we've had nothing but problems. Trane Will not stand behind their product. Do not buy a Trane.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

On May 23, 2016 I had a Trane 3 Ton, 16 SEER Condenser & Air Handler installed at my residence. This system uses R410a. On July 25, 2016 the units were no longer cooling, so I went outside to see what was happening. When I looked into the condenser unit I saw that the top of the compressor was cherry red so I disconnected power and called the installer. He came the next day and put some oil in the lines stating it must be a bad TXV valve. So I asked him to get a new one and he said that would not be necessary the oil "did the job". It ran for the remainder of the summer.

On Aug 15th 2017 the compressor started banging, going on and off, and water was coming out of the emergency drip pan PVC line. So again, I called the installer and he said given what I said happened he will order new parts; compressor and TXV. WELL it is 4 weeks now and still no parts. Call the 800 number you say? I did 5 times, I have a reference number. I know them by first name. Their answer; "We understand you are upset." They can't get the parts, WILL NOT replace the units and will not give me my purchase price back. So what's a person to do? NEVER buy a TRANE - they continue to field defective units full well knowing they will break down in less than a year. And from I have read in this column, I am not that confident these replacement parts, should they ever arrive, are not going to be a permanent solution. It important to remember this system failed in less than 2 months of operation.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

I bought a new indoor and outdoor Trane system in May 2013 (after saving for one year with no a/c or heat in the house) thinking that I made a good choice. I really believed their manipulative slogan NOTHING STOPS A TRANE which it needs to changed to TRANE NEVER STARTS, I am such a fool for believing that. Shortly after we had it installed we started having problems. So far we spent $1250 in repair on this Trane product. Tried to contact Trane to get reimbursed for some of this expense and they offered one time goodwill gesture of $85.12 and at the end saying "hope you will trust our product in the future". I will never buy another Trane product. I have already stopped 2 people from buying a Trane product.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

This AC unit was purchased New in Oct, 2013 and has failed for different reasons every year since. First it was the expansion valve, then the capacitor and then the evaporator coil. The warranty does not cover the labor, refrigerant or materials. So far, I am out $2,400 and the unit has been out of service for over 14 days in 3 years. Customer Service at Trane, what a joke, said they weren't responsible as a manufacturer because there are too many variables controlled by the selling dealer and suggested I purchase an extended warranty! DONT BUY A TRANE XR13.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trane?

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

They replaced my compressor under warranty, then the replaced unit quit 10 months later. "Sorry Charlie, we already replaced it once." WHAT??? Yep, that was the answer. NEVER, NEVER BUY A TRANE UNIT...

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

Had a new Trane unit installed May 2016. Compressor has burned out. They will not pay for lost Freon or service charges to install a replacement. This is about $1000. Will not recommend or buy another Trane product.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

Trane unit cost $4,000 and is continuously breaking down. I bought this Trane home AC system 3 years ago. It stopped working last summer because the oil in the compressor was incorrect from the manufacturer based on the HVAC repair company I bought the unit from. They changed it out and it has worked this season until now. Out of nowhere the unit has frozen up and shut down. My last system was a Comfortmaker and lasted 28 years without any major breakdowns. Can someone tell me exactly what the problem is with TRANE equipment???

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

Purchased a 3 1/2 tn XR 13 heat pump 2-2014. Last week it stopped cooling. Contacted the installer. They found a leak where the coil was connected to the compressor. It was a failed solder connection. This repair cost $1200 mostly the cost of refrigerant R410a. Trane warranty excludes the cost of refrigerants. One disappointed consumer in South Carolina!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

Put in new unit 2014. Took two weeks plus to make it run, never has run cold. In first year the compressor, evaporator coil, expansion valve, and circuit board replaced. Next year it stopped again. The tech. came out and "fixed" it again. Still not cold. 2016 broke again, evacuated Freon. Put in weighed charge. Replaced some parts and left, still not cold. 2017 stopped working. Original company quit working or selling Trane. Called four companies to fix it. All four said no longer will work on this system because of no Trane support plus Trane techs do not know XV20i heat pumps. NEVER BUY TRANE!!!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

I purchased a "top of the line" XR 15 3 ton TRANE A/C in '09 at a cost of 4500.00 With a rebate from FPL for 495.00. I purchased a larger than needed, unit... so it didn't have to work as hard and because I didn't want to be doing this job again... in 4-5 years. COIL, being replaced today, 1100.00 dollars. Apparently, TRANE, are NO LONGER TOP OF THE LINE. LENNOX, have replaced them. SawGrass, who installed the unit don't do business with Trane anymore. Lots of companies have dropped them. Very sad. Astronomical costs, involved. Sorry, I never bought their products, to begin with. Maybe, I was lucky, reading the comments here... will not let anyone I know buy their products either.

Original review: July 29, 2017

I own a 2 ton central AC unit (XR-15). Within 4 1/2 years the AC coil sprung a leak. When I had the service fix it, the coil was covered but they didn't/don't pay for anyone to install the new part. To make matters worst, because of the leaky part, all the AC coolant leaked out, and that's not covered either. What a joke... I thought they were a great company. When I called to complain that agreed all the coolant leaked out due to the bad coil, but said they only cover the part, and the service and coolant is on me. Last time I buy a Trane!

Original review: July 20, 2017

I had a 4 ton Trane heat pump installed 2 seasons ago at my beach cottage. After only 2 seasons, my evaporator coil "rusted out" and caused a loss of freon. The part was under warranty so my repair bill was only $450. The grate which holds the fan motor has almost corroded to the point fan will not operate safely. When I complained, I was told I live in a high corrosion area which is the cause of my problem. The technician said he sees this problem frequently because the copper and aluminum is from China on the new models (my last unit operated in this same location for 11+ years). Trane needs to do better than this.

Original review: July 19, 2017

I purchased a Trane system less than 4 years ago and as of today I was informed my second replacement coils have a bad leak. Trane will cover the parts but not the labor which is $800 to $1000 dollars. What a joke this system has been. Trane knew they had bad coils but yet they still are using them. Now I will be replacing the coils for the third time on a less than 4 year old system. Please do not buy a Trane system. I am so sorry I did.

Original review: July 17, 2017

Purchased machine in 2010, Trane XR 15. Have had nothing but problems for 7 years. The first day after putting it in the machine, it flooded my garage. This is the seventh year machine out of Freon. AC man says everyone is having problems with that machine. Trane sold the name and the unit, on the inside is actually a Ingersoll Rand, complete fraud. All the parts are Ingersoll and the inside unit is a Trane, that is so unbelievably wrong. Will never buy a Trane again.

Original review: July 14, 2017

I paid USD 5500 and had a brand new Trane HVAC installed in 09/2012. In Jan 01/2017, it stopped heating, my installer said the Coil was leaking, then under 5 years manufacturer warranty, I paid 600 labor for a brand new coil replacement. Then last month in 06/2017, it stopped cooling again! The same installer found the coil leaking again! With 2 days, Freon dropped off to almost 0 level. Then under 5 years manufacturer warranty, I paid USD 430 to replace another brand new coil.

I called Trane and reported this issue after the 2nd coil failure, surprisingly the customer service guy named Alex offered me $67 to "help" me pay the repair. I was amused!!! $67 to help pay the fix?! I felt kind of he was trying to close the case using a small quick amount of money to zip my mouth. Honestly speaking, I am a busy single mom, don't have interest and time to make money in this way. I never thought of the reimbursement until one of CS reps mentioned it. More important, I just wanted an explanation and apology, cause we stayed in FL's coldest winter time without heating for a week, and suffered another hot week in FL summer without cooling, within 5 months apart!!! This was really frustrating! More frustrating is because this unit is TRANE, a 5500 bucks durable product!

After the explanation with Alex, he doubled the reimbursement to USD 114, then I mentioned the first time coil failure, he doubled the amount again!!! I was totally confused again! I asked what's their reimbursement standard. He said they didn't even have it! So I requested to talk to his supervisor. The lady named Sylvia ** called me back a couple of days later, and blamed me I didn't do maintenance job before. I had another leaking fix for this AC unit in 2014, paid 75 bucks to repair it. It might make sense so I decided to took the responsibility for the first Coil Leaking failure in Jan 2017.

However she still couldn't explain the second coil failure, continued to blame me it's my fault. She did not apologize, instead denied this is a defective product and argued the product had no problem, even after she talked to my installer, who has 30 years AC experience and addressed the defect issue. The lady was rude, lacked CS skills. She refused to give me an apology from the beginning, really made me concerned TRANE's customer service. I requested her supervisor's contact, she argued she had not, the letter if I wrote, would come to her any way! If I didn't agree on the offer, she would withdraw the offer and close my case!!! What a threatening CS rep!!! Anyway, I had no choice and accepted their USD 217 offer, however I would not trust TRANE, claimed to be the most RELIABLE AMERICAN product any more!!!

Original review: July 6, 2017

On October 15, 2008 I purchased an XC95 Comfortlink II furnace and an XL 18i air conditioning unit for $11,270. I specifically purchased a Trane because of the success that I had with the previous two Trane units. The first unit lasted over 20 years and the second 18 years with very little maintenance beyond the bi-yearly inspections and care. However, the unit I purchased in 2008 and have attempted to maintain has been a disaster. Within 2-3 days following installation it was necessary to call the dealer, who installed it, for repairs. A faulty part was identified and replaced. That was the beginning of a long and miserable trail of repair after repair. I requested a replacement unit shortly after installment when the squirrel cage fan came loose on the shaft and made a horrible racket. By Nov 2, 2012 a folder of 22 work orders had been generated and Trane would still not budge on accepting there was a problem.

After about 5-6 years the problems decreased and now in the 8th year they have reignited. Last month alone, I spent >$750 on the air conditioning unit and $238 on the furnace. I have faithfully had professional maintenance on the units in the spring and the fall. I have recently spoken to two separate Trane representatives and their responses were the same of stating "they are sorry that I have had such a bad experience but thanked me for my allegiance to Trane in buying the 3rd unit". They also stated it was too late for anything to be done. I am writing this review to warn consumers of Trane's lack of concern for the consumer and the poor quality of their product.

I was warned by a friend of Trane's poor quality and lack of concern but because of my previous experience, I did not listen. My Trane dealer has been wonderful over the years but he is also very frustrated by the lack of support/concern that Trane has for consumers. If you choose not to heed this warning, I highly recommend you purchase the 10 year warranty.

Original review: July 1, 2017

I just want to say as an Air Conditioning Contractor that after reading many of the reviews for several different brands that some (not all) of the reviews have more to do with the installing or servicing contractor than to do with the equipment itself. I've read reviews where the complaint was because they had to repair a unit that was within the warranty period and I understand their frustration but this is why you have someone check your system every year to find problems while it is under warranty. I see all too often where equipment is installed and then ignored and just expected to run forever with no maintenance costs.

I am sorry but that is not the case. You don't go buy a new car and then never change the oil or buy new tires and expect it to run for 15 years but that is what people want with their HVAC system and that is a misconception that we deal with daily. Modern air conditioners are built for efficiency not toughness. The Federal Government set efficiency guidelines that the manufacturers have to meet and still compete with the other manufacturers so the days of a unit just running and running with no problems are gone.

Modern A/C's in some cases use half the energy of the older tougher A/C's so the trade off for lower utility bills is now you need to have it maintained regularly and they have more failures. It is just a fact of life. We (contractors) sell our customers equipment that we think will do a good job but sometimes there are problems with that equipment. They had a bad batch of evaporator coils, they had electronics that were problematic. We don't know about these problems sometimes until years down the road but since we work on them daily we notice patterns and by then it is too late to do anything but fix it. When the Government changed the regulations on refrigerants then they opened up a new can of worms and unfortunately the homeowner is the person who has to pay for the lessons learned.

Original review: June 29, 2017

While redoing my old ac system with freon with a Trane unit and all new lines for more comfort and convenience as my old unit was 15 years old no problems but freon was hard to come by put in a Trane system. Thank god I got a warranty plan through the company that installed it. This trane as all the other reviews is junk. I have had to have service out for many different parts 20 times. No joke. I have paid nothing due to my service contract. This is the worst unit I have ever seen. If there was a lemon law for this unit it would have been gone 3 months after install. Do not buy this trane. Cannot even get out of the station. Junk. Stay away.

Original review: June 17, 2017

4TEE3F XL15i system - First of all I would like to say my last Trane I purchased at my last house new was running like a champ for over 13 years when we sold house to build this one. This Trane was installed and inspected by Martin Heat and Air of Taylorsville Ky October 2011. After house went hot and seen line froze up downstairs I turned it off to thaw then called and got someone out to get it going 12 hours later. All they did was fill it and asked me if I filled out paperwork for the warranty. That's when I first heard about filling out the paperwork to get full warranty.

The man who came was from Graybeal from Shelbyville Ky just to get me going because Martins were busy for days. The man looked up my information for me and said that I didn't fill out warranty. He also said, "I bet it's the A coils." So after spending 250 on freon fill up I started looking into this warranty thing and then call Martins. First thing I did was look at the homeowner's information packet. What a joke and a scam and I'm so pissed right now and feel I've been **. The front of the envelope doesn't say anything about time sensitive warranty info inside. Doesn't mention anything about warranty period! It shows one little sentence about if you register within 60 days your warranty will be lengthened.

Then I called Martins and the owner Dwight was very nice and felt bad about the deal and sent someone out to check system and find out what was going on. A coil multiple leaks. They put a sealant into system free of charge and told me how Trane isn't like it used to be and the warranty deal is totally wrong. So basically to fix it is almost as much to just get a new unit. It won't be Trane. Chinese copper and Chinese aluminum junk and they don't care. I'm totally for a class action lawsuit.

Original review: June 6, 2017

I had a 4 ton 16 SEER installed in the summer of 2013. It's been one problem after another since installation. I have not gotten cold air from the system since day one. My complaints seems to have fallen on deaf ears at the company who handle the installation and at Trane. Last year 2016 the main drain pan and fan motor was replaced. The parts were under warranty, but it cost $663.00 for labor. Now I'm told the evaporator coil which is under warranty is leaking and needs to be changed but labor and Freon will cost $1100.00. I regretted the day I spent thousands of dollars buying this piece of junk. Trane should not be allowed to sell these units until a drastic overhaul is done.

Original review: May 19, 2017

Great unit I must say in terms of home comfort. Bought in October 2015 and registered total unit online as required to receive full warranty. Thermostat went south in 18 months and Trane refused to cover it even though the thermostat carries a 5 year warranty. Why? Because the thermostat had to be registered separate from the entire unit. Am I the only idiot who did not know that the thermostat requires a separate registration from the rest of the unit. Btw. Trane required me to buy their thermostat.

I was never told by the Trane authorized installer of this requirement. To me, it is all part of the same unit. When I register a refrigerator, am I required to register the ice maker separately? $400 lesson learned. I am not normally a person who complains, but imo this is nuts. All I am trying to say is DON'T MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE AS I DID.

Original review: May 18, 2017

Purchased two Trane systems in 2007 and paid 11K$. Now one has to be replaced. Tech says coil is leaking and that it's unlikely it can be repaired. Tried contacting Trane over a week ago to find out if coil is still under 10 year warranty but no reply from Trane. Tech also says replacement coolant is no longer manufactured and that available replacement coil would require 2K$ worth of coolant. Available stock of coolant is hard to find and very expensive. Steer clear of this company. Apparently it is pretty easy to stop a Trane.

Original review: May 13, 2017

This is a Trane Model no. 4TWR5030G1000CA. Serial no. is 16075MFH4F. Unit installed May 2016. November 11 2016: Blown capacitor at six months' service. March 30 2017: Fan blade falls off at 10 month's service. May 8 2017: Motor fails just under one year's service. Clearly not the quality one would hope for in brand new durable goods. Questions: Why not specify an adequate capacitor at nominal extra cost? This is a $5,000 unit for a small house, why not design the fan with a 5-cent set screw or cotter pin to keep fan from detaching? 10-year warranty but we didn't expect so many repairs!

Original review: April 27, 2017

In 2010, I purchased a Trane XL 15i system for $8622. In 2014, my house was not cooling and it was discovered my copper coils were corroded with numerous pin holes and the unit was leaking Freon. The part was under warranty but the labor was $1100. The copper coils were replaced and at that time Trane paid me $650 towards the labor cost. I thought that would be the end of it. Currently in 2017, the copper coils corroded & leaked again. After several weeks of going back & forth with Trane's Escalation Dept., this time Trane offered me $520 for a labor cost of $1300. In addition they want me to sign a contract to release them of any & all responsibility from past and future copper coil leaks. They won't even give me any assurance this won't happen again.

I don't understand why the product has not been recalled or why there hasn't been a class action suit against Trane and Ingersoll Rand (the mfgr.). Something needs to be done. I cannot afford to pay out $800 every 3 years to keep my A/C unit running. No one should have to pay for a known defective part. I have had to pay out twice. I live in Phoenix and it's getting very hot. Is there anything I and others can do beside fill out a complaint? They should not be able to get away with this. Pls. help.

Original review: April 19, 2017

I installed a Trane Unit in 2009. I have a 10 year warranty. The first year was fine, after that I HAVE HAD TO KEEP FILLING IT WITH FREON. Not one AC company that came out could find the problem but one. However SOUTHERN COMFORT AC found that I had a cracked coil in both the Air Handler and AC Unit itself. So much for Trane. When I called them I spoke to ** and she stated that even though there is a 10 year warranty, they only fix units for the first 5 years... WOW. SO EVERYONE, how about a "Class Action" Suit against Trane for deceptive practices???

Original review: April 14, 2017

I figured after seeing all the negative reviews, I should comment about my experience with my Trane unit. We've had our Trane XR12 for 14 years and it runs easily 9-10 months out of the year here in FL. We've had to replace the fan, a capacitor (a few times), and get some other minor maintenance. The original compressor is still running strong. Overall, we've been very happy with it. We're just thinking about getting a new unit since it's almost 15 years old, and we don't want to be in a position where we NEED a new unit in the middle of the summer. The quality of the installation is just as important as the unit itself, so the unit failing could be the result of poor calculations (too big/too small). After reading these reviews, one would think Trane is terrible, and that's not the case - people who are happy just aren't motivated to come here and leave positive feedback.

Original review: April 13, 2017

After having over a hundred TRANE HVAC units installed by ZIRO and distributed by TERMO SERVIS, we had to replace all these rusted units (see attached photos) that were manufactured by Ingersoll Rand's Kolin, Czech Republic manufacturing facility. These TRANE units were examined by a court-appointed expert who concluded that the manufacturer Ingersoll Rand used inferior quality materials in the manufacturing process.

After only a total of less than 20 months of cooling activity, we had to replace completely over a hundred TRANE HVAC units due to corrosion. The most disappointing part of this entire process was that nobody from Ziro, Termo Servis, Trane nor Ingersoll Rand contacted us to find a solution to this serious problem. Even after receiving the report from the court-appointed expert, none of the above-mentioned companies (Ziro/Termo Servis/Trane/Ingersoll Rand) contacted us. Definitely zero quality and evidence that it doesn't take much to stop a TRANE.

Original review: April 12, 2017

Trane advertises a 10-year warranty on their products. "Nothing stops a Trane." Yet when my Trane system broke after 6 years I was told that my warranty was void on a technicality that I had no way of avoiding. I was informed I needed to transfer ownership of the system in their records to my name within 90 days of closing on my home. I had no way of knowing this. That is also beside the point. This is a loophole just to get Trane out of their warranty. Ownership being transferred should not and does not affect reliability or efficacy of their product. Yet when it breaks (as mine did) or reduces functionality they aren't responsible because of paperwork. Cars, electronics, homes, and other goods work where the warranty stands no matter the owner. This is bad business.

Original review: April 6, 2017

Purchased Trane AC in 2009. Worst choice ever. Both motors have blown within 8 years and neither is covered by warranty. Trane knows their product is garbage and that's why the short warranty. Never again. I've spent more money on this unit than on all of my AC units for the past 35 years combined. Never buy a Trane.

Trane expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Dating back to 1910, Trane has a long history of innovation in the heating and cooling industry. One of their founders invented the convector radiator in 1923, and in 1938 the company introduced the industry’s first hermetic, centrifugal refrigeration machine. Today, homes and businesses alike rely on Trane’s proven track record as an innovative company that provides reliable, energy efficient heating and cooling year-round.

• Leader in green building technology: Trane custom designs green technology for businesses based on their building needs to ensure only the highest air quality for employees and their clients. Their systems are in some of the world’s finest and most popular buildings, including Toronto’s Skydome, Beijing’s World Trade Center complex and Washington D.C.’s Washington Monument.
    • Leader in home air quality: Trane’s whole-house air filtration systems are proven to remove up to 99.8 percent of all air allergens and particles inside your home. In addition, the Trane website features a resource center for consumers to learn about air quality and figure out which products will benefit their particular situation.
    • Specialization: Because they specialize in home air solutions, Trane is able to focus on the air solutions homes and businesses need. Their specialization has helped Trane achieve have over 1500 patents, making them a top innovator in the field of HVAC technology.
    • Testing videos: Watch videos from the testing facility on the Trane website to see just how far the Trane Reliability Engineers are willing and able to take their products.
    • Smart technology: Homeowners will appreciate the Nexia Home Intelligence when it’s connected with a Trane ComfortLink or ComfortLink II communicating control. This system allows homeowners to reduce their energy consumption by controlling their air conditioning systems remotely.
    • Best for: those looking for a central air conditioning system who are also concerned about air quality.
    Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs