2. Homeowners
  3. Air Conditioners

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.71/5

Banner image

Need help with an HVAC system?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Banner image

Need help with an HVAC system?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Trane Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trane?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trane?

Original review: June 22, 2020

I had my unit installed about 1 year ago and it has been running like a champ ever since. I got a 5 ton heat pump with the 2 speed compressor that makes it more energy efficient. The package was installed by a local company that was a wonderful experience overall and it includes a 10 year parts and labor warranty. We need a reliable unit since it gets in the triple digits quite frequently in Las Vegas. It is hard to stop a Trane!

Original review: June 15, 2020

My home had a 35 year old Trane Heater. We had real high winds and top of exhaust blew off roof. HVAC company came out to replace and told me my system was so old needed to be replaced, it wasn’t as quiet as it should have been. Pilot light went out. Called another HVAC company who had same spill. Heater replaced and Now I know I was had. That 35 year old TRANE wasn’t as loud as the new unit, heated the house (2story) much faster AND my gas bill was MUCH less. I fell for the scam, thought I would have a more efficient unit for less money. The Trane is worth every penny and then some.

Get buying tips about Air Conditioners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 11, 2020

Even though I have had my current systems for only three years, I am very happy with Trane. The two units I have have been operating flawlessly for the entire time. The systems that were here when I purchased the house needed great deal of TLC for several years, even though they were only two years old when me bought the property. When my daughter in Massachusetts had an addition put on her house two years ago and asked my advice, I told her that both my personal research and my experience had convinced me to go with Trane.

Original review: June 10, 2020

We purchased this Trane about three years ago and very happy with it so far, it cools, almost too cool sometimes and I love the warmth in the winter. The installers put this on the roof so it is out of the way so no one will trip over it going around the house. I have had no issues with it at all. When this was put in the installers had to put in vents in the ceiling which makes a nice cool house, we only had floor vents before; we had a furnace and window coolers and this took care of both items. Because of this purchase we purchased new windows, nice additions to an old house.

Original review: March 20, 2020

I find it hard to read all these negative reviews about Trane. I am Canadian and sell and install Trane furnace's, A/C, Heat pumps and air handlers since 1991 with very little issues at all. I sell a 10 year parts and labour program with every piece of equipment just to make our customers more comfortable with the equipment and if it is required it protects them from any charges for 10 years. I am thinking that the installs that I am reading about are not done to manufacturer's specification which is very important to follow or the equipment will not work properly and or the installers are not properly trained or qualified. There are contractors here also that are not qualified and only care about getting your money, Trane will take away your dealership if you have continuous install problems.

I send my technicians to to training offered by Trane so that they are sure about what they are doing and to ask any questions that they have. Manufacturer's warranty is 5 years on parts for unregistered equipment and 10 years if you register it, I register all our equipment because homeowners will put it off then forget to do it. Some contractors will also charge you for parts that are under warranty and then collect the warranty part from Trane, so shame on you for not paying attention to your purchase.

I will always stand behind Trane equipment over any other brand. If I do have any problems with the equipment, parts are easily available and are covered under warranty with no issues. As for technical support sometimes it is hard to get through but I always get a reply from them and they are very helpful and solve any problems that we have. I encourage you to contact Trane and plead your case if your contractor will not help you. I will always go to bat for my customer and get what they deserve, a awesome piece of equipment, comfort and peace of mind.

Original review: March 2, 2021

Trane has a serious quality control issue. Think you are buying the best? Think again. I have Trane in 2 VRBO's and my own home. Out of 5 air handlers, the evaporator coil, the heart and soul of the unit, FAILED on 3 units and the blower motor on another. $1500 each to replace and Trane won't even talk about compensation for the labor. $1500 is just for the labor on EACH one. The coils can't be patched or soldered, it has to be replaced in an insanely tedious process.

TRANE what's wrong with you? You have serious quality control issues and you know it. Look at the BBB complaints! This is despicable. Stay away! My units are from 2018.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2021

Never any problem or issues since 2014. Quiet, works well, great contractor. Good experience. Replaced an older unit that was noisy and could not keep up. Liked my contractor, explained things well, worth the cost, recommend.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2021

In 2015 I purchased a Trane XL 20 heat pump system with variable speed air handler and heat pump. Installer moved out door unit from where the old unit was to a place that made installation easier. As it was summer and the unit was in cooling mode, the outdoor unit was much quieter that the old one. When the weather changed and the unit went into heat mode the outdoor unit became so loud that it could be heard throughout the house. I called the installer and they came out and assessed the unit and informed me that the noise was 'normal'. As the unit now sits outside my bedroom instead of the kitchen, it can be rather annoying if the weather is really cold and the unit is running at 100%.

After about 3 years I awoke one morning to an error on the thermostat and no A/C. Service man checked unit and said the wire tie holding a piece of foam insulation around one of the lines inside the outdoor unit to keep two copper lines from chafing, had rubbed a hole through one of the lines and caused the failure. He took pictures and noted it on the service report. I contacted TRANE, as to me, this was a factory flaw in the wire tie placement. TRANE requested documentation which I provided. They rejected the claim and I was out almost $1000.00 to repair the unit. As far as efficiency goes, the unit has lowered my over all electricity bill. Also the filters for the air handler state that they are 4 inch filters but in actuality they are 3.75 inch. As such filters purchased on the open market do not fit and requires one to buy them from a TRANE installer or dealer.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2020

The Trane mini split system was installed in my home in early 2018. The units began failing from the start. The installation company had to revisit the house a minimum of 15 separate days for error codes, low coolant, leaks, etc. Finally a Trane official representative visited the house. I was informed that the heat was inadequate due to my floor insulation. This was a major 4 head purchase that failed from the beginning.

Now that it has been an additional year there is no protection. The lines are unsightly and hang from the sides of the house awkwardly. The outdoor unit motor is loud and the indoor heads sound like airplanes when in use, whether heating or cooling. I have to shout at times to be heard in my own home. The generic remotes have extra buttons with no purpose and they make very little sense even when reviewing the paper instructions. Would Never purchase Trane again based on the unacceptable quality and the extremely poor customer service.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2020

We own a 5 year old Trane HVAC system that came with a 10 year warranty. It just required a $1400 repair which the repair technician indicated was a design flaw/manufacturer defect. I created a case with Trane requesting reimbursement and their response was a quite dismissive form letter denying any responsibility for their faulty system. Check out their Facebook page before purchasing a Trane product. It's FULL of similar complaints from other disgruntled consumers. I intend to file more formal complaints.

Trane author review by ConsumerAffairs

Dating back to 1910, Trane has a long history of innovation in the heating and cooling industry. One of their founders invented the convector radiator in 1923, and in 1938 the company introduced the industry’s first hermetic, centrifugal refrigeration machine. Today, homes and businesses alike rely on Trane’s proven track record as an innovative company that provides reliable, energy efficient heating and cooling year-round.

• Leader in green building technology: Trane custom designs green technology for businesses based on their building needs to ensure only the highest air quality for employees and their clients. Their systems are in some of the world’s finest and most popular buildings, including Toronto’s Skydome, Beijing’s World Trade Center complex and Washington D.C.’s Washington Monument.

• Leader in home air quality: Trane’s whole-house air filtration systems are proven to remove up to 99.8 percent of all air allergens and particles inside your home. In addition, the Trane website features a resource center for consumers to learn about air quality and figure out which products will benefit their particular situation.

• Specialization: Because they specialize in home air solutions, Trane is able to focus on the air solutions homes and businesses need. Their specialization has helped Trane achieve have over 1500 patents, making them a top innovator in the field of HVAC technology.

• Testing videos: Watch videos from the testing facility on the Trane website to see just how far the Trane Reliability Engineers are willing and able to take their products.

• Smart technology: Homeowners will appreciate the Nexia Home Intelligence when it’s connected with a Trane ComfortLink or ComfortLink II communicating control. This system allows homeowners to reduce their energy consumption by controlling their air conditioning systems remotely.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team