1.07/5
Based on 50 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 17, 2018

352 Trane Consumer Reviews and Complaints

walter of Gwynn, NC Verified Reviewer
Original review: May 17, 2018

We purchased a "Beach" model 3-ton Trane since we are subject to salt spray. 10 years & 6 months later (6 months out of warranty), the unit does look like a brand new unit, no visible rust or corrosion. The "Trane Stopped!!" The unit started re-cycling more often than it had early on and then started re-cycling immediately. The technician, a Trane distributor, who installed the unit initially, came out with a "snifter" and found the "Aluminum Coil" to have several holes. The salt air took the coil out! WOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED WITH COPPER!!! MY days of recommending a higher priced TRANE to friends or anyone are over!!! I called Trane Customer Service and they said they recorded my concerns and that was that! Oh Well, so long Trane!

Hans of Port Charlotte, FL Verified Reviewer
Original review: May 6, 2018

2 years ago I bought a new Trane AC for my house in Florida which is only used for 6 months per year from my family. From beginning the unit was always dropping water much more than my old AC. The Trane dealer always tried to stop it but we must live with these problems. Now the dropping was so heavy that the water pan under the AC brokes by the weight of the water. After discussion with Trane the dealer changed last Friday the cooling coils with the result that now water runs twice time faster than before. At the moment I must clean the water pan all 3 hours. It is near a full time job. Normally we come from Germany to Florida for holidays. Now we come to control always a new AC. "It is not hard to stop a Trane (you can shut the power off), it is much more harder to live with a Trane". Trane seems to be a very poor company, the units seems not to be State of The Art. I cannot recommend this company.

Get expert buying tips about Air Conditioners delivered to your inbox.

L of Naples, FL Verified Reviewer
Original review: May 3, 2018

I bought 2 Trane Air Conditioners about 7 months ago. Paid over $18,000.00 for them. One of them has died already. Plus Trane sent the wrong part. Then has refused to send the right one. I've been without air for a week now and they have lied to the installer over and over that it is on its way & will be there within 1/2 hour. Not true. Trane used to be a great Air Conditioner, but not now and I'm so very sorry I bought these!

Nancy of Lehigh Acres, FL Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: May 1, 2018

I purchased my Trane XR August 2016. Two weeks ago my air stopped working. I called my AC guy and told him. He came over and looked and said, "I have bad news." He said it's the coil and the price is 1500 and the cost for me is 500. I spent $7,500 spending good money on a product that I believed in. After reading reviews and have no air for 8 days I am over it. I contacted Trane. They want receipts showing that I service this properly which I plan on doing. I want them to pay the $500 because to me this is disgusting. Anybody that's reading this you may want to look at other products besides a Trane. Read 392 complaints. It seems like everybody is having problems with Trane. Parts are made poorly.

Cindy of Chester, VA Verified Reviewer
Original review: April 27, 2018

I have seen several other negative reviews (on the Consumer Affairs page) regarding Trane products and would like to add mine. I am retired and live on pension/social security, so I expect something that costs that amount of money to last much longer and not have to be repaired that often. The highly advertised "You Can't Stop a Trane" commercials are a JOKE. I have kept maintenance agreements since the unit was installed in 2011. When the unit (Trane Heat Pump XL 15i) was 4 years old the technician found several leaks and the repair bill for this was pretty hefty. I will give Trane credit for this repair. They refunded me about half of the repair cost; however, there have been several other issues since then.

I have had installed a condensate drain trap and air scrubber to help things run more efficiently. Also, in February 2018 I had all new duct work installed... again, to help things run more efficiently. The unit would have been 7 years old in June. While the parts are under warranty, the labor costs are out of my pocket. In 2017 the motor went out. In March of 2018 the outside unit was frozen and not defrosting. They switched it to emergency heat (which did not come on). It was found to be a relay switch was stuck on the heater control board.

In April 2018 it was short cycling and the contractor was found to be extremely pitted and burnt. They came back to install the new contractor and the system continued to short cycle. The system would go into vacuum and cause it to go out on low pressure and immediately try to come back on which is what burned up the previous contractor over time. Technician said there was a blockage and he needed to replace TXVs and coils to fix the blockage and that may not be a 100% guarantee fix. After the company I use contacted a Trane distributor to check on a repair cost for this it was quoted it could range anywhere from $2500 - $3100. I received a call today (from my most recent complaints) that they could not help in any way because I did not install another Trane unit. Really, why would I want another Trane product??? I am on hold again to see who else may be able to help. Totally ridiculous.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trane?

Michael of Melbourne, FL Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: April 26, 2018

My wife and I are both retired seniors trying to get by on our pensions. We bought this house new in 2012 expecting at least ten years of trouble free operation from all our new appliances and Trane HVAC system. We have our HVAC system checked annually to assure it is functioning properly. In March our system was five years and one month old and the controller on the motor failed and the whole motor had to be replaced for $870 including labor.

One month later, the AC stopped cooling and maintenance was required again. This time the evaporator coil was leaking and needed to be replaced at a cost of $1167. So on a unit barely five years old and just out of warranty, we had put over $2000 in repairs into it. Now, we have no confidence in Trane.products. We leave this house vacant six months of the year for a condo in NH and must have a reliable HVAC unit in our Florida house. If it fails while we are away, dangerous mold can form. A brand new unit is about $2000. If we have another failure the new unit will not be a Trane.

Jose of Hialeah, FL Verified Reviewer
Original review: April 24, 2018

I installed a Trane system just a few years ago with one promotion from Lowe's store and was the biggest mistake I ever did in my home. I live in Miami where the AC is always on because of the hot weather. My system is less than 5 years old and already had to change the coil inside motor. And before that there is a malfunction that the fan inside the house never stop not even without thermostat. And all the tech get complain that Trane does thing very difficult to tech get part replaced with the guarantee. So when I change this system again I don't want to see nothing with the Trane infront of me. Please save a lot of pain. Buying another brand.

Diane of Clearwater, FL Verified Reviewer
Original review: April 17, 2018

My unit is 4 yrs old & the condenser coil broke. It has cost me $1200 for Freon & repairs. Called service to explain and ask for help since my unit is so new. Well, I shouldn't have wasted my time. Woman in dept was actually rude! They will do nothing to help you and I am a senior and live in poverty but that meant nothing. Don't buy Trane based on their reputation because they don't live up to it!!!

patricia of Clayton, NC Verified Reviewer
Original review: April 9, 2018

I installed a Trane unit last spring so this is my first winter with it. I am using more therms and my heating cost has gone up. They changed out the thermostat 2 weeks ago and it hasn't made a difference. Temp is set at 73 and I am sitting here with a heavy sweatshirt on and cold. I live in NC so we don’t get extreme weather and trust me if the outside temp are in the high 60s I’m in summer clothes and my windows are open. I would not recommend Trane.

Sanjay of Houston, TX Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: April 4, 2018

We replaced our aging Goodman (18+ years) air conditioner with a new Trane XR17 5 ton unit; in the process also changing the condenser, coils & furnace with Trane units. Our old unit was beginning to show its age with frequent breakdowns (but no compressor failure yet) so we decided to go with a installer recommended system. The units were installed by AC Advance of Houston, on February 3rd, 2018 - during winter. Total bill $8400. With the coming of summer in Houston, the air conditioner was switched on - and the ac compressor failed after just 1 week of usage, on 1st April 2018! Not quite what would be expected from a 'premium' brand like Trane.

Right now we are stuck in a limbo. I have requested that the ac be replaced by a new unit - since I consider that the unit was new enough when it failed that I should get a new one. The installer is willing to pick it up and install for free - if we can get one. The local distributor for Trane - Hunton Distribution - has shrugged it off by saying that at best we can get a compressor replacement. I have reached out to Trane's warranty replacement - and they are 'doing due diligence' and 'thorough review' of our 'request'. Meanwhile we are sweltering in the Houston heat and humidity while we wait for them to decide on our 'request'. I will update once I hear back from Trane.

Lourine of Sterling, VA Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: March 29, 2018

We lost our service January of 2018, Trane has put us off for 2 months not responding or giving us go around on our system. It's a year-and-a-half old it broke down. They sent Parts. It still doesn't run. Their responses, "We'll keep sending the correct parts until it's fixed," but I have to pay the labor at each time is about $2,000 and labor charges. I told them they needed to send me a new system. They offered me a $400 credit towards a new system of $9,000. That's just the outdoor Handler. Talking to Mr. ** was like pulling teeth. Absolutely no compassion for the customer without heat during the winter months. Offered no assistance whatsoever, it was almost as if he was saving money out of his own pocket by turning us down.

The system should have been under warranty and they should have taken care of my problems. Instead I ended up finding a reputable company called Carrier who stands behind their customers and their customer support department and it's been recommended by almost every dealer that I've gone to. Even though they sell Trane they tell me Trane has the worst customer service. That tells you something right there when the dealers know how bad the customer service at Trane and they don't want to put their customers through it. Run run run! Save yourself the hassle of ever having to talk with them. They won't support you anyway!

Michael of Myrtle Beach, SC Verified Reviewer
Original review: March 26, 2018

In 2008 we purchased what we thought was a top of the line product offered by Trane. We replaced the air handler and the heat pump for the home with a new matched Trane system. At that time we had increased the seer rating of the new unit to 14 instead of the required 12 and felt good that for once we would be doing the right thing by spending a little extra to buy quality and save on further utility expense as well. Well let me tell ya. Here it is 10 yrs later, the evaporator coil in the air handler has just failed and is leaking freon. The cost to replace the coil is roughly $2800 bucks. I called Trane and they tell me that the air handler unit is only covered up to 5 yrs and that the heat pump coil and compressor outside are covered for 10. I asked if it was possible for them to policy the replacement cost for the evap coil and there was no reply other than to say the unit is only covered for 5 yrs.

Here's my issue... Why isn't the whole dang thing covered for 10 yrs and why is this expensive, quality piece of equipment even starting to fall apart at the 10 yr mark. I really do not feel like or have the money to replace the entire unit at this time and it most likely wouldn't be a Trane the next go around. I guess the money I thought I was saving for the first 10 yrs I am actually spending in the end. Very disappointed with the product and the Trane company values.

Rod of Coral Springs, FL Verified Reviewer
Original review: March 21, 2018

I paid $5000 for Trane unit approximately 10 months ago and had it installed by Air Rescue of Pompano Beach. It is been nothing but problems since the installation. I have to say that Carlos Of Air Rescue has been diligent in coming to my house and replacing parts on attempting to continue with repairs. He’s been out here over 10 times the last 10 months and we still do not have the problem resolved. I suggested that Trane replace the entire unit and was told flat out no by Carlos that ain’t going to happen. Carlos is schedule again to come out tomorrow and replace the control board. However he now points out that that is not the only problem.

I now have a problem with my ductwork which he states he is not responsible for. I’m having trouble understanding what he is saying because he connected the outflow air and the return air and yet hot air is being sucked in on the return from my attic. I need Trane to step up and take care of and stand behind their product as well as their selected vendor. I need Air Rescue to complete the job properly they have been paid for from inception.

John of Ormond Beach, FL Verified Reviewer
Original review: March 13, 2018

Purchased an expensive Trane HVAC unit 3 1/2 years ago and have had to replace the coil twice. This last time the coil leaked and caused the panel doors to crack according to the technician. The coil is under warranty but the labor to replace this piece is not and neither is the cost of the panel doors nor the labor to install them. The total cost with labor is over $1000. Trane is not taking any responsibility for the panel doors. I am contacting the Attorney General of Florida with this problem because I have been told by people in the HVAC industry that Trane products have become substandard and break down often. I do not think that I should be responsible for paying when an inferior product is being sold.

Judy of Cincinnati, OH Verified Reviewer
Original review: March 8, 2018

We did a major remodel 2 years ago and decided to replace old A/C and heater before it died. Smaller unit in same house was done a few years earlier. Used same local installer, but had to go through our contractor as we weren't on site during construction. Was never told about purchasing and extended warranty--- in AZ, only use the heat for a few short months with no extreme cold. What a huge mistake. Heat died exactly 2 years after we moved in, condenser parts covered, but not labor. $950 out of pocket. So sorry we replaced unit with a very expensive TRANE model. Stay away!!

Reid of North Palm Beach, FL Verified Reviewer
Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

Trane used to be the top tier but AC installers I have dealt with have told me to stay away from them. They are using cheaper parts to maximize profit. I learned the hard way just recently. My 4T AC unit started leaking due to a cracked PLASTIC pan. Warranty only covers parts, not labor. The installer told me my particular unit, new in 2014, has pan cracking issues. They told me to contact Trane for labor reimbursement due to lemon product. Trane was very rude and said no way, regardless of this being a common issue. I had to eat the $300 labor charge due to Trane's poor choice of materials. They would not compensate any of the labor charge. There was a freon leak as well, another $200 in labor. Rheem is the way to go. My friends, family, and I are done with Trane in this lifetime.

fernando of Coral Gables, FL Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

4 years ago the Trane condenser burned out. The air handler was also replaced with similar units. They too burned out after one week. A third unit was installed and I was told they were units made in China...so now after 3 new units failing they installed a Rheem unit for the air handler and a Trane for the condenser. The condenser just burned out again, and I am told the same thing. Made in China...or Mexico?? Anyhow that is 4 units in 4 years...and my system is clean and all new.

Mabel of Miami, FL Verified Reviewer
Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

The Home Depot provider (ARS, a division of RotoRooter) has not repaired my unit because he alleges Trane is “punishing” them for not selling the brand after they went with plastic??? Bottom line is they have given me the runaround since December 12. My unit is under warranty and my worst fear is that one day my a/c has a problem. Heating in Miami is not needed too often although I had to purchase portable heaters for my birds when we had a few very cold days. I am very upset with ARS and with Home Depot and would like to know if what they say is true. I still doubt that a reputable company refuses to sell parts for one of its products which is just 5 years old. I was very happy with my unit until this happened.

L. B. of Mckinney, TX Verified Reviewer
Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Our unit is only 4 years old. We bought our house 1.5 years ago and had to have warranty work done almost as soon as we moved in, our out of pocket was $700. Now, the unit needs a compressor except Trane will not cover it since the warranty was not transferred from previous owner within 90 days. This is a $3000 job. Terrible customer service!!! Everyone was rude and passed me along to another number. Forget fixing this piece of junk! I'll be buying a new unit that actually works!

Joanna of Clearwater, FL Verified Reviewer
Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

2.5 ton HVAC unit defective coil - Unit was installed on May 24, 2014. One month beyond unit installation guarantee on parts and labor the unit quit cooling. The unit originally cost $4,500 and the installer BURGESS AIR CONDITIONING LOCATED IN CLEARWATER FLORIDA does not offer financing. Two years and one month later, we required service and the replacement of the coil which cost us $891. Time to repair unit by obtaining the coil took over 2 weeks. 90+ degree temperature over this period. The part was NOT EXPEDITED for delivery for our unit. Burgess or Trane would not take any action. Would you believe that Trane offered $109 for our inconvenience. Burgess told us where we could buy a portable unit until ours was fixed.

Kathy of Naples, FL Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I purchased a Trane heating and AC unit on Feb. 29, 2016. In August 2016, the evaporator coil went out, it was under warranty so it was replaced. Now less than 2 years later it's out again. My installer wants $590.00 to replace it. I said no and contacted Trane. They said they would pay $390.00 and I was responsible for the rest. This is not fair. After reading other consumer reports I see I'm not alone. This equipment is junk.

Harold of Dalton, GA Verified Reviewer
Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

Can we not sue Trane for selling us junk. My Trane AC unit is 2 years old now out of service warranty. Has stopped working 5 times in 2 years. I'm right now without heat. Why can't we sue for our money back. I paid 5300 for crap.

Liza of Charlottesville, VA Verified Reviewer
Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

Trane xl20i - Mine started failing at 6 years. Technician after technician told me how horrible they are. When I called the service manager at Albemarle Heating and Air, he denied everything his techs had said. If you are getting a 79 error code, it’s probably your motherboard rather than a pressure problem.

Linda of Mt. Holly, NC Verified Reviewer
Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

My Trane unit was put in back in 2010. One small part went out within 12 months. Did not get concerned because it was a small cost and covered under the warranty. Two weeks ago I noticed the fan motor was not running correctly. Called someone out and like the other reviews it was the coil leaking Freon. At first the repair was going to be 1600.00. Then jumped to 3000.00 because apparently Trane doesn't stand by their extended warranty. Told the guy I would not pay that to have it fixed. I paid 6300.00 for this unit and only had it for 7 years and 10 months. What a waste! Will never allow anything Trane to be put in my home again.

Douglas of Scottsdale, AZ Verified Reviewer
Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

I bought this house that had two XR14 4-1/2 ton Trane Split heat pumps that were installed in 2010. The first major issue was April 2017. The coil in the air handler corroded from dissimilar metal corrosion. $3000 later for a Trane Parent American Standard Air Handler. July 2017 same thing happened. The repair guy put in $400 worth of super seal to get us through so they would not have to replace the other air handler in the attic. Nov 2017 it died. $6500 for an American Standard split Heat pump replacement. Jan 2018 the original Trane Condensing unit GE ECM condensing fan motor failed is been warm so researching why Trane would use a variable speed motor in an application where the whole unit is a single speed and the condensing fan runs at single speed.

The main difference (Wholesale $600) vs a $150 + $10 capacitor connected to your T1 & T2 terminals. My AC guy said that the won't get a computer code when the fan fails again. I'm like DUHHHH! The compressor was running and the fan stopped. That's how I know it failed. Why would I need a computer to tell me the P.O.S. TRANE unit has failed. I am not expecting much better out of the American Standard. I am sure they are all made in the same place with different labels slapped on them. I know some of the cheaper brands do the same thing from a rental property where my 12 SEER unit ran for over 20 years. Doesn't Take much to stop a Trane but it sure takes an act of God to get the parts for them.

Richard of Creedmoor, NC Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I purchased a Trane heating and AC unit, in 2009, for my home due to having senior parents and not wanting the Heat/AC to go out during extreme weather. I believed the advertising that "Trane makes America's was the most reliable Heat/AC systems". In 2017 I started having issues with Freon leaking from the coil. $600.00.

In 2018 I was told I had to replace the coil and it would cost $2200.00. At first the service tech said it wasn't covered by the warranty, so I decided to call Trane's Customer Relations. They told me the coil was covered and they gave me a customer ID#, so I had the work done. After the work was completed the tech said they called Trane and was told that the coil was not covered. I called Trane's Customer Relations and they told me that if my unit was installed before May 1, 2009, then the coil was covered. I tracked down the paperwork and the unit was installed before May 1, 2009. I called Trane and informed them.

They then said the outer coil had a 10 year warranty, but the inner coil has a five year warranty, so now I had to find out which coil was replaced. It ended up being a circus and I just paid the $2200.00. The bottom line is; the unit should not have failed in the first place, warranty or not. Do not buy a product from Trane. If they would spend less on advertising and more on their product then the product would sell itself. I will say my repair tech did a great job.

Timothy of Casa Grande, AZ Verified Reviewer
Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I had a new Trane HVAC unit installed three years ago after having nothing but problems for years with the original unit that came with the new house I bought. When we turned on the heat this year nothing but cold air came out. The installer came out and tells me that the TXV unit is bad, has a clog, and a hole is in the freon line coming off the TXV. Total cost $1400 so far. When I talked to Trane they won't cover anything but replace the TXV which I have to pay to be installed. Due to it failing I have to pay for the Freon, and due to it blocking the line it caused a leak in the line, I have to pay for it to be repaired. TRANE claims to be the best there is, IT IS JUNK. Three years and a major failure of parts are not normal and as a consumer, I should not have to spend thousands of dollars to fix TRANE junk. STAY AWAY FROM TRANE, poor product and no customer service.

Peter of Margate, FL Verified Reviewer
Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

Bought a brand new unit 2-1/4 years ago. Selected an installer from Trane's own website. After 2-1/4 years of service the unit the condenser coil (aluminum) got a pin-hole leak. Installer wanted $2000.00 to fix it!!!! And THIS was under warranty! Trane offered to "help" by paying 15%. We went a different route and will NEVER EVER EVER EVER. Not for our homes or our commercial buildings NEVER EVER. I highly suggest you avoid Trane at all costs. They are trash. The 10 year parts warranty is useless since the part is of almost no value. The labor and the refrigerant is where all the costs are. AVOID!

bill of Brick, NJ Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

This Trane air cond 3 ton wasn't working the day my installer put it in the first year it was installed. Sept 2014 something with a valve and the wrong oil used in this units and Trane knew about this problem. Took over 6 weeks to repair. It was a nightmare. Even my installer didn't want to fix it. Took weeks for a part. They would not rush to help me, my wife and mother in law who had health issues. They were ** on the phone.

Now I have a bigger problem with the heat system once again. ** cost me 700 dollars out of my pocket this time. This unit only 3 years old. 200 for shipping, 500 for labor and still waiting for part November 11, 2017. O-rings in the heat exchanger are burnt out like the space shuttle Challenger in 1984. This causes the furnace to run hot and will not lit so now you're in the cold. Check it out on youtube. If you want to be hot in the summer, cold in the winter with a big repair bill Take my advice. Do not even think of buy a Trane AC or heating or whatever else there. Wish I knew beforehand.

Barbara of Pembroke Pines, FL Verified Reviewer
Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Purchased new Trane AC in Sept. 2015 for about $5000. Exactly 2 year later unit not cooling. Testing indicated leaking coils. Told unit was under warranty for parts but stunned that the labor to replace coils, initial test to determine problem and replace leaking Freon would be $1200! Nov. 1, 2017 now need a new fan motor since this one won’t shut off. Another labor charge. Where does this end? Most reviews on Trane say the same thing. It not fair nor realistic to put out this much money on a 2 yr old unit that has been consistently under a maintenance plan. One prior positive comment was about an OLD unit that had run well for years. That was our past experience but the current units are poorly made and Trane doesn’t care. See the pictures posted above by an independent review of defective Trane units. I won’t purchase once again and neither will our business. They are losing a commercial account because of this problem at home.

Trane expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Dating back to 1910, Trane has a long history of innovation in the heating and cooling industry. One of their founders invented the convector radiator in 1923, and in 1938 the company introduced the industry’s first hermetic, centrifugal refrigeration machine. Today, homes and businesses alike rely on Trane’s proven track record as an innovative company that provides reliable, energy efficient heating and cooling year-round.

• Leader in green building technology: Trane custom designs green technology for businesses based on their building needs to ensure only the highest air quality for employees and their clients. Their systems are in some of the world’s finest and most popular buildings, including Toronto’s Skydome, Beijing’s World Trade Center complex and Washington D.C.’s Washington Monument.

• Leader in home air quality: Trane’s whole-house air filtration systems are proven to remove up to 99.8 percent of all air allergens and particles inside your home. In addition, the Trane website features a resource center for consumers to learn about air quality and figure out which products will benefit their particular situation.

• Specialization: Because they specialize in home air solutions, Trane is able to focus on the air solutions homes and businesses need. Their specialization has helped Trane achieve have over 1500 patents, making them a top innovator in the field of HVAC technology.

• Testing videos: Watch videos from the testing facility on the Trane website to see just how far the Trane Reliability Engineers are willing and able to take their products.

• Smart technology: Homeowners will appreciate the Nexia Home Intelligence when it’s connected with a Trane ComfortLink or ComfortLink II communicating control. This system allows homeowners to reduce their energy consumption by controlling their air conditioning systems remotely.

• Best for: those looking for a central air conditioning system who are also concerned about air quality.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs