Trane

Compare Air Conditioners

Research top Air Conditioners recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Do not buy a Trane AC unit. I bought one 4 years ago and it needs to be blown out every 2 months. Apparently, they put out a lot of gook causing the water to back up. My local company did nothing, so I contacted Trane and they have done nothing. Save yourself time and money and buy a better brand. There are several out there.

I have 4 units in my and have been happy with them for the most part. Installed all 4 units when remodeled 16 years ago. Have had to replace 1 compressor so far. I bought my units as I thought they were made in the USA. When time comes to replace again I will look for units made in USA. Hope they do not move to Mexico.

I had an XV20i heat pump installed with a Tam 8 air handler and the top of the line thermostat. This was a $12,000 purchase. The unit was installed two and a half years ago. I've had nothing but continual and still ongoing problems. My installing dealer went out of business so I've had to pay for labor during a time the labor should have been covered under warranty. To date I've paid $1,000 in labor charges since installation, not to mention the constant headaches with the unit being down. Trane did refund me approximately $280.00 in labor charges a few months back. However, when I was offered that amount I expressed my displeasure with the amount and was told "take it or leave it". When my dealer went out of business, I contacted Trane customer service asking what I should do and if there were any dealers in my area that knew how to work on these newer units. I was given a list of dealers (which I kept).

Every dealer I called on the list told me they didn't service my area. So I was on my own. I called a local Trane dealer out of the phone book. He was very honest and told me his company didn't service these type of units due to their complexity. He referred me to another dealer. I was told this dealer sells a lot of high-end equipment and they know what they’re doing. The dealer I was referred to has been to my house 4 times since April 2016, just as recent as 3 days ago.

As I'm writing this review my unit is down again. On their first service run I was told my outside unit need a software upgrade to 2.0 and a new personality module which I paid them to install. The unit ran fine during the summer, but now that it's cold problems have returned, and as I stated it is down again. This unit is clearly a LEMON. Since it obviously can't be repaired correctly, I want Trane to furnish me a new unit installed. I have a stack of work orders, which I previously submitted to Trane. Of course I have even more now.

Purchased the Trane furnace 6 years ago. This summer when I came in the house from outside my whole house was full of smoke. I ran around looking for the fire and found nothing. A month later last week exactly when it got cold I went to run my furnace and it didn't work. When I went down and opened the panel I could smell the same smoke I smelt that day and there was my circuit board all black and melted. When I called the company who installed it (Master's) they came out and said the board was under warranty but the labor was going to be $300. Sounds cheap. But NO ONE can tell me why it caught on fire. So I told Master's I wasn't going to pay them to put in another circuit board because it could have BURNED MY WHOLE HOUSE DOWN. Their response was "call Trane and let them deal with it."

So I called Trane and the first question they ask is did I have it professionally serviced every year. I replied no but had heater coils replaced under warranty after just 3 years. Now I sit here waiting on Trane to tell me what's up and where we go from here. But I already know their answer and I told them "don't even try and tell since I didn't have it serviced regularly it's my fault, because had you WARNED me that if I didn't have it professionally serviced IT MIGHT CATCH FIRE I would NEVER have bought it." So after just 6 years here I sit with no furnace and no resolution. Now every time I call Trane, they say "we're working on it and we'll call you back." They have no intention of fixing it.

So I called Master's back and said "go ahead and replace the board and I'll pay the $300 BUT IF THE FURNACE CATCHES FIRE and burns down my house I'm suing both Trane and you." The owner of Master's then says, "NO THANKS. WE'RE NOT EVEN INTERESTED IN COMING BACK TO SERVICE IT." I said, "Why are you worried it will catch fire?" I mean if it's safe what's the big deal? Both Trane and Master's heating and air are crooked and in this together to screw over the consumers knowing they GOT PROBLEMS they aren't telling their buyers about when the purchase is made. PLEASE FIND ANOTHER FURNACE MAKER AS both Trane and Master's could care less for our SAFETY and cares if we lose everything. Of course all they are going to say is THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE. So I ask if you have had a circuit board melt or catch fire please let me know. I know I am not the only one with this SERIOUS problem.

Purchased a home with a Trane XV90 furnace, furnace is 7 years old and out of warranty, product failed at 6 years, after the tech spent hours on the phone with Trane tech support he figured out the furnace needed a new main circuit board to the tune of $1200. We had the furnace repaired, everything was fine for 14 months, went to turn on the heat this year to find out no warm air, called the furnace guy to come out and he explained the main board had failed again. This was after spending 2 more hours on the phone with Trane tech support, we called Trane corporate only to find out the replacement board is only warranted for 12 months, and Trane tried to claim they don't warranty replacement parts, the 12 month warranty is from the dealer.

So, to cut an already long story short we now have to shell out another 1200 dollars to repair it again. I called Trane customer support and explained my situation, got a nice email response that said "SORRY, GOOD LUCK". It would have been far easier for Trane to do the right thing and either replace the clearly defective part or at a minimum offer a prorated reimbursement, but no they don't care! Do yourself a favor, don't buy a Trane furnace, they don't stand behind their products and if anything goes wrong the replacement parts only have a 12 month warranty from the dealer, Trane tried to argue with me that they don't warranty replacement parts. HIDING BEHIND THEIR DEALERS. So much to "Can't stop a Trane." Guess what? You can, and they don't care...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trane?

We built our home in 1/31.2011 - it's been 5 years and 9 months and for the last three months we have had to freon put in our unit due to a faulty coil in attic unit. We contacted Trane and their reps are robotic - no empathy or sympathy just curt and short. I started emailing to document the poor customer service and have several automated emails from them with no results. I emailed back 10.17.2016 to have my issue escalated only to get another email telling me if I haven't heard from escalation in a few days to email or call back. WTH - this is not customer service.

We were told to obtain two written estimates on diagnosis of issue and we did so. Both AC co's that came out diagnosed the same thing. They both told us our unit has a 10 year warranty however it does not cover labor. We have spent over $500 to get a diagnosis and freon to keep us cool. So, when we contact Trane, they said we never registered the product... Funny, I have copy of registration card sent in. Their level of service is unacceptable and we are still waiting for a response from them to resolve this issue. This is the 7th unit we have bought from Trane. However we will never buy from them again if we don't get a result by Monday, October 24, 2016. Very disappointed in Azle TX.

I purchased A Trane air-conditioner in good faith that this was an exceptional product 2 yrs ago. It has been repaired 2x in that 2 yrs, with this latest repair costing me just under $1000. Although the Customer Service personnel have been OK to deal with, am totally disappointed in this product, and will never recommend it to anyone looking for an air-conditioner, or considering this product.

I built my home in 3/2016. In 5/2016 when it started to get extremely hot the a/c quit working. I called the repair people who said that the wires were not hooked up to the unit and that is why it wasn't cooling. About a couple of weeks later the a/c stopped working again. Again we called major heating and air and they came out the next day and said Freon leaked out because the solenoid caps were not on tight. Again they should have checked that when they came to hook up the wires. Then two weeks or so after that it froze up and quit working again.

The same technician came out and said that there was a recall on the expansion valve that they supposedly knew about for months. He said he would come out the next day. Little did I know that would be several days later. When they came to replace the valve they then said that the compressor had frozen up. So being that this unit is only 6 months old I am very disappointed in the level of service that I have received from Trane and the major heating and air technicians. So have basically been without a/c for a good part of a hot hot summer. I have to say that if I ever have to replace my unit in its entirety I WILL NOT get another Trane unit.

Purchased our unit in 2011. Recently it has not been cooling well. Repair person says that the coils are rusted and it's been leaking refrigerant. It is still under warranty, so the part will be covered but the labor is expected to be $1,600 or more. Is there a class action suit going for this problem? Apparently, it is a common problem.

Built a new home in 2008 and had a TRANE HVAC installed. The AC coil leaked and was repaired within the first year. Now the unit is 8 yrs old and I am told that both the AC coil and the inside attic coil is leaking. Repairs will cost as much as installing a complete system, according to Smith's AC company. I'm now shopping for a more reliable brand. Hopefully with American made parts.

I had a new Trane air conditioner unit installed in the March of 2015. In August 2016 it stopped cooling and the coil in the air handler was leaking refrigerant. The cost to repair this was $1,200. Trane did replace the coil under the warranty, but they would not cover the repair cost. The supply company said they have seen several of their new units fail the same way as ours. The air conditioner stopped cooling again after only two days of operation. This appears to be a quality issue and is costing us consumers a lot of money and the reliability of Trane is NOT good.

My old unit lasted for over 20 years with no major issues, it was only replaced due to its lack of efficiency and cost of operation. Based on the over $10,000 this new unit has cost me so far, it would have been cheaper to keep the old unit, $10,000 would buy a lot of electricity. I am not happy and am ready to bite the bullet, cut my losses and replace the entire system with another system, but NOT Trane.

For our home we have purchased two Trane Air conditioners in last seven years. First one lasted only 5 years and I had replaced with another Trane Unit for upstairs bedrooms. It was big mistake. Second unit was installed on March 15, 2014. Annual maintenance contract was signed with installer. In last week of July 2015 AC compressor stop working. We have to sleep on the floor downstairs until new compressor was installed on August 3, 2015. July August are hottest months in Georgia. In April 2016, our air conditioner stop working again. Tech person diagnosed that indoor coil was leaking and it was replaced. Again in August 2016, compressor was stop working and we are without air conditioning in our upstairs bedroom for last 3 weeks. We are sleeping again downstairs floor for last 3 weeks.

Thank God downstairs Tempstar AC unit still working next to Trane AC Unit for last 35 years without any issues. Now that is manufacture quality which I do not find in Trane Units that I have dealt in last seven years. I have to pay $160.00 for diagnosis. When I contacted Trane customer service at 1 800 945 5884 two weeks about their defective product and ask for replacement unit, I got around. They keep losing my supporting documents and I have to resubmit 4 times on email provided. Finally after two weeks, escalation specialist Jennifer ** contacted me to advise that company policy does not allow to replace unit and I have to spend my own money for labor cost. When I insisted then she offered me $500.00 maximum to repair unit.

Any reasonable homeowner expect that their big investment in brand new AC unit would last only two years. Other brand name like my Tempstar still working after 35 years. My conclusion is based on my experience that Trane Units are manufactured poorly and lack quality control. Please do not buy Trane AC products, unless you want nightmare dealing with repair cost, discomfort and hassle with their customer service. The company does not stand by with its products.

I have had Trane for years. Had I known what the customer service department was like I would have never bought a Trane. If you have to just register your equipment you might be ok. However for the last 5 days customer has been a nightmare to deal with. Ingersoll Rand the parent company should be totally mortified how customer care is with homeowners of their products. You can not get anywhere with the customer care line. It takes 10 calls to learn to ask for option 4 and you think your getting a customer service specialist. They are paying people to just give you the run around. It makes Ingersoll Rand look so stupid.

Each time I talked to customer service they say, "Talk to the dealer." Many others comments have had the same issue. Dah! That is the issue. You need someone above the dealer to answer a Trane/American Standard question. Customer service is who should know the answers or give me to someone that does. They told me today they don't know the answer.

This is my issue #1. Dealer said, "I think you should install a Air Handler." Mind you I had a perfectly good gas heater. He felt the electric heat might help my flooring issue. He said the load test showed a 4 ton unit. That is what he installed. Knowing that I had a 5 ton compressor outside. He said, "You don't need 5 tons."

Few years later brings we to last week. Dealer #2 says we have a problem. The 4 ton Air Handler is NOT compatible with the new 5 ton compressor - we want to install. He says we need to do a load test. It showed like 4.8 to 5 tons. He also said the side return air doesn't have a filter under the Air Handler like it should. As many upset customers like myself are asking who trains these dealers? On top of that if I can't call customer to answer my technical question how can the dealer get a correct answer. I'm sitting here after crying and wanting to pull my hair with NO answers. Sitting with no downstairs air condition in the deep south with 90 degrees outside. Will I buy Trane again? Not likely.

I tried giving customer service all the information on the Air Handler and the Compressor to see if when it was installed if it was even compatible. No one at Trane can answer. How does one find out? I can assure you they can't answer you but they would answer you if the warranty was voided because of this. I called 4 times today alone.

I've been in the wine industry for over 20 years and have worked with process (Brine) chillers for the entire time. I'm a Winemaker, Viticulturist, and General Manager. I've had good success with Trane in the past so I purchased two 30 ton chillers for Orfila Vineyards in October of 2012. I bought two just in case one went down so I would have duplicity. It's good that I did get two because they are always breaking and at least I have one (usually) chilling our buildings and tanks. I spent over $60k on the new chillers by the time they were installed and started. I have spent over $20k in 4 years just to keep them running. Both computers were replaced, every sensor has been replaced at least once and some twice. They even said to my Mechanical guy when one sensor failed for the third time, "Oh they should have never sold you that type of sensor for this application."

It's their own company that sold us the part! We get a different Tech every time and when they come out, they all have a different take, excuse, or whatever about what's going wrong or why their hardware is failing. I don't think they even know what is really happening. I've several times seen them go through all the diagnostics and then they finally realize it's an open system. My mechanical guy told one of the managers here in San Diego that he would be hard pressed to recommend a Trane to his other customers because all the issues we've had and they said, "It doesn't matter; we don't need you." I get that they are big but with a budding beer and wine industry in San Diego you'd think they would take more pride or responsibility for their product. I'll probably buy a third chiller from someone else so that I can have even more of safety net for when the Trane chillers fail again.

We installed 2 new air conditioner units the end of January 2015. We paid over $12,000 for the new units and installation. In a service inspection performed June 2016 it was found one of the coils in one of the units was leaking refrigerant. The cost to repair this was $1028.32. Per Trane/American Standard even though the units were only 18 months old they would not cover the repair under warranty. The company that serviced them said they have seen several of their new units fail the same way as ours. I would not recommend their product to anyone at this point. They don't stand by their products.

Trane and their independent distributors are scamming the public. Trane did produce good reliable products for many years, however they are no longer dependable nor do they have any warranty, regardless of what is stated in the product literature. They will state that they will warranty the parts for 5-10 or more years but here's the catch. The Trane website states that they only supply equipment to dealers that undergo specific Trane installation and product training and the dealer must be “Trane certified” in order to sell and install their equipment. This is assumed to ensure that the Trane distributor/installer is properly trained and keep their "Trane comfort specialist" certification.

Once the equipment is installed it will typically fail soon after. You will attempt to call Trane but they will tell you to contact the installer or one of their dealers as they don't talk to the public. The distributor will most likely come to look at the problem and tell you there is a problem with the equipment and tell you to contact Trane for their part's warranty. Again Trane will tell you to contact the installer/dealer. Eventually the installer will tell you they have to charge you to repair the part which means there is no real warranty. If you are very persistent you may get to talk to a Trane representative and they may send someone out to look at the equipment and tell you it is an improper installation issue and there is nothing wrong with the equipment. The installing company will say it's the equipment and you will be stuck having to pay for the repair yourself.

You do not have to take my word for this, rather you can call five air conditioning companies and ask if they will sell and install Trane equipment. Nine out of ten will tell you they don't deal with Trane. Please note: Trane does not train anyone. They just state that they do and that only "Trane comfort specialists" are permitted to install their equipment. For you to fully understand the scam you need to talk to some trustworthy installation companies and ask the owner why they do not sell Trane equipment. If you find one that does sell Trane equipment ask them if they are Trane certified experts and they will say yes. Then once it is installed you will be in the endless loop and find out how the scam really works... and it works very well. Just wanted to share this as many people as possible so the scam is revealed and the public is aware.

Two-year-old unit and no part in Florida. We are suffering from a heat wave with high humidity. Worst season in living here for 15 years. We are told two-week wait for part! I have the temptation of biting the bullet and replacing the system totally. But what brand? Just from our experience with Trane and the installer it will not be a Trane system again. Will not throw good money after bad!

My issue started on November 18, 2015. I have had a non-functional heat pump for over 8 months now. Initially bought a new High Efficiency Furnace and Heat Pump from Gary at Southwest Heating. Very satisfied with install and workmanship. I did find out a work permit was not pulled, not sure if they are required in Elbert county, but most HVAC contractors will pull a permit regardless to cover their butts. Everything worked fine for a year and a half. Then we had a snow storm along with a power surge and my Heat Pump quit working.

Called Southwest for service and they sent a guy who told me the disconnect was bad so it was replaced. Once I found out it was more than the disconnect I called Southwest again and another tech came out. Told me my Heat Pump compressor was bad. He said he would start paperwork for warranty since the unit was 1-1/2 years old and still under Trane's warranty for 10 years. Paid for my service call and 3 weeks went by and no word. I called Southwest and lady answering did not know a thing and would get back with me... Really. She did get back and said she was sending out Mike the owner to give me a quote. Mike came and did not know thing, he asked if his company installed it, or he pretended not to know a thing. Anyways, he called his tech and confirmed with him the compressor was bad. What does Mike the owner do, he quotes me $8000 for a new compressor unit and does not want to talk warranty.

He tried calling the Trane Rep and said he had wrong number and would get back to me. One day went by no word, I call the office and talked with lady answering phones and she said I just missed him and he would call me in the morning. Never heard back from Mike the owner. Called another Trane authorized dealer (Parker Heating & Cooling) and had their techs come out. They spent hour and half diagnosing the Heat Pump and told me the compressor was fine, it is a circuit board. Cost of circuit board is $383, upon installation it was not the circuit board. The owner of that company did not want to talk about my 10 year Trane warranty and he quoted me $3000 just for the compressor and $4900 for the whole Heat Pump unit.

This owner flat out said that doing warranty work does not benefit his company's bottom line and could care less about the warranty. "Give me your credit card over the phone I will order and have it installed within a week." I said "no thank you." I contact Trane consumer affairs submitting a ticket. I was contact by a representative 3 weeks later and was told he had contact both companies I have been dealing with. SouthWest Heating is sticking to their lie that it was hit by lightning so it will not be covered by warranty. Parker Heating told the Trane rep they would provide a labor estimate and file the warranty paperwork. A week has gone by and no response from Trane.

There are wild fires in Colorado causing smoke and I am asthmatic and would really like to close my house up and run the AC, but I cannot, so there is a health issue now as well. It appears that Trane has done something around how they deal with warranty work with their Authorized Dealers which does not benefit the Trane Dealer. This approach puts the consumer in the middle taking the brunt of issues. Even though you have a 10 year warranty it not worth anything. Wish I would have not bought Trane, they used to be a good company along with product.

A new, complete American Standard "Allegiance 16" system was installed June, 2011. This system has the infamous 2 speed compressor which has been "redesigned" even though it has been declared "obsolete". Since then, every major component has been replaced under the bogus "10 year parts warranty" whereby the customer pays for all labor and all shipping of parts! My air conditioning season is 4 months, Mid May to Mid September. Since installation the air handler coil has been replaced due to poorest quality copper that American Standard could possibly obtain and use in their products that are manufactured in Mexico. The compressor has been replaced. This system has never started up at the beginning of the season. It has required 2 or 3 refrigerant recharges every season. This bogus warranty has cost me approximately $5000 in service calls, system recharges, parts shipping costs, etc.

In 5 years this system has not ever operated properly for more than 5 or 6 weeks. Replacing the compressor has taken 6 weeks just to find one as it is now deemed "obsolete". From the reviews I have read, American Standard/Trane does not respond to customer complaints. If they do not respond to my 11 page letter, they will respond to a class action lawsuit! I'll carry the ball. I am very angry. My email is **.

In the past year, had three heat pumps installed. In the process was emailing Trane (American Standard) to see about an extended labor warranty. No response at all! Go to their website, try to call, it keeps reverting to emails communication only. One of the units just installed 2 weeks ago sounds like it is coming apart. Had to google their phone #. Talked to customer service. They do not cover labor even within 30 days. So with that being said I will not be purchasing Trane (American Standard) units again. I think that their response to the matter is poor.

Bought a house and unit was 2 years old. Fan motor outside quit. 2 years later coil was leaking and fan motor inside went bad. Warranty did cover parts but sick of the hassles. Won't be replaced with a Trane!

Our residential central air conditioner a Trane XL1200 and XE90 furnace was installed back in 1996. It has been extremely reliable. The air conditioner is service checked once a year and has never failed once. The furnace has had the blower clutch go after about 13 years and start capacitor went after about 14 years. Very minor repairs with not one electrical or major mechanical failure on either. Getting a good contractor for installation is essential. We had the local Trane dealer do the install of which the bulk of their work is commercial installations. Not sure about the other reviewers but I recommend Trane to everybody for the reliability and efficiency.

XL18I AC system - Purchased and had the unit installed in Dec 2007 in a new house. The first year I went through a summer 2008 it did not cool properly. Had to configure the temp shutoff in the attic unit. The 3rd year 2010, had to replace the circuit board in the blower/condenser coil in the attic. The 5th year 2012 had to replace a relay on the blower/condenser unit in the attic. The 6th year 2013 the capacitor had to replaced in the outside unit. The 7th year 2014 the capacitor set had to be replaced again. The 8th year 2015 the condenser coils had to be replaced along with the expansion valve and refrigerant.

This year (the 9th) 2016 I have had to have service person in again. He originally replaced the switching valve and the expansion valve and it worked the weekend and then went out again. Service person came in and pulled the expansion valve and it was plugged with trash. Installed a filter drier and is still not cooling. This is the biggest POS I have ever owned in my life. Warranty is about to run out and I have had it. Labor and freon cost are killing me.

We purchased two brand new units for our home in Scottsdale, Az. Within two weeks of installation the larger of the two packaged a/c units responsible for cooling the largest part of our home is disabled due to faulty parts and a Freon leak. Trane has no parts to repair the unit. They will not replace the unit nor will they remove the parts needed for our unit from one sitting in inventory. The part we need cannot be available for at least 15 days. Trane seems to place the customer at the bottom of the list so will definitely not buy from them again.

8 years ago I purchased this top of the line unit that featured 2 compressors to insure twice the trouble. Over the years I have replaced the very part in the unit and air handler. The parts were covered, but not the labor. The compressors have been replaced 3 times, the starter 4 times. Now 8 years later I want to replace the unit, but not confident that others are much better. Very frustrating and time consuming. Thankfully I am retired!

We purchased a Trane XL18i high-efficiency heat pump back in the fall. We have had many issues with the unit since installation. It was initially not installed correctly and continues to not work properly. We thought Trane was a good product, but we are seriously questioning this. Now that the season has changed and we are using A/C for the first time, it does not work correctly. We spent thousands of dollars and NO ONE seems to be able to rectify the issues. We have been given our 3rd thermostat (I don't think there's anything wrong with the thermostats), and I'm really not so sure that there isn't a much bigger issue with the installation or unit itself.

We believe at this point that the entire installation needs to be checked, including all wiring that was done with it to find the problem and resolve it once and for all. The Trane dealer we used is useless, so we called the Trane 1-800 number and requested a field service rep be sent out. They refused and said that they didn't care about the issue, talk to the dealer. They really don't stand behind their product! We are obviously not alone with this experience, so couldn't we all band together for a class action lawsuit? Any attorney's reading this or does anyone know an attorney who would take this on? I am on board with this. We would love a refund at this point and have them take all the equipment back so we can go with another company. Wishful thinking.

We purchased a new Trane AC system. Not even a year old and the Blower motor is out. The Orangutan repairman says he will order a new one. 12 days later in record heat... 118 yesterday and just as hot today the part is now on "back order". He promised to find us a loaner portable AC unit until the part arrived... haven't seen that either. The customer service people are useless promising to return our calls with an eta on the blower. Don't get call backs. Bottom line - don't deal with Orangutan and don't buy a Trane!

XL15 2.5 ton with Variable Speed motor. Purchased barely 6 years old. Serviced twice a year. Had to replaced motor and copper evaporator coil (see pic). Coils started rusting after just 3 years. And YES, $900+ for labor. Emailed and letter sent to Trane - no response. So... you be the judge!

The issue: I bought Trane AC for my residence in 2013 (model 4TTB3036E1000AA). Just over 2 week ago, the air-conditioning became in effective so I called the installer, but I was told the installer had moved his shop out of Toronto. So, I contacted the Trane agent here in Mississauga, by the name of Comfort Air to come & have a look at the unit as it was still under the 5 year’s warranty. Contrary to their name they have caused me a lot of discomfort. The gentleman came & after checking told me that the Compressor had packed up. After a couple of days of back and forth on the model #, which they claimed initially, they couldn’t locate in their records (The model # etc. was noted by no other than their own rep, in fact he took picture of it & so did I, for my record).

Finally, after wasting another couple of days, they booked order for the replacement compressor under warranty. They took my credit card #, took written confirmation on the order from me, made me sign a clause that if I cancel the order they will charge me $800+HST for cancellation. Told me that the compressor installation work as per their technician will take 3-4 hour’s labour at $99/hr. +HST, Gas refill will be $60/lb and it will require about 3-4lbs. So that adds up to approximately $640 +HST (about $750 charge to the customer) even though it is under warranty? Although I thought it was very high charges, but since I was in such a helpless situation, I had to agree with it.

The sequence of events after the time the order was placed have been pathetic to say the least. We have been sweating throughout this period, having sleepless nights for over 2 weeks because of the heat, but apparently it is none of Trane & their agents' concern. I guess I’m to be blamed for choosing Trane & that is exactly what my family is saying to me now. The entire family is disturbed.

The sequence of events thereafter: After order placement on June 8, they confirmed that they do not have the part in stock, so it will be shipped from US & that it will take 5-10 working days. I was then told on my asking that they normally write 5-10 days as worse case but it normally comes within 5 working days. So, it was to arrive on or before last Wednesday, 15th June 2016. Unfortunately, it didn’t arrive on the date given to us. I wrote to them to inquire about the status, the same day & got a response back saying the unit will arrive on Friday, 17th June if not held up in Customs. Friday came & went but the compressor didn’t arrive.

I called up Comfort Air to check again Friday afternoon, giving them reference to their own letter two days ago. The lady (Carol) told me that it hadn’t arrived & that I should check on Monday. I asked them to give me a firm date that the unit will come & be installed as heat was really picking up & it was become unbearable for us. She said she cannot confirm. Later her Manager/Owner came online & said same thing in rather rude tone. When I protested on their whole attitude, he told me to go to some other agent. I'm stuck in an awkward situation, please advise & help me resolve the issue. Terrible, terrible experience.

We had a new Trane system installed in our new home 7 yrs ago by Eagle heat and air. The A/C has NEVER worked without them coming out to put coolant in it. They claim to have fixed a leak only to have to come back before the summer is over to work on the same problem! Each time taking a week or more to come out. They want us to pay them for their service on a unit that was a lemon from day one. NEVER BUY TRANE OR USE THIS COMPANY!

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Dating back to 1910, Trane has a long history of innovation in the heating and cooling industry. One of their founders invented the convector radiator in 1923, and in 1938 the company introduced the industry’s first hermetic, centrifugal refrigeration machine. Today, homes and businesses alike rely on Trane’s proven track record as an innovative company that provides reliable, energy efficient heating and cooling year-round.

• Leader in green building technology: Trane custom designs green technology for businesses based on their building needs to ensure only the highest air quality for employees and their clients. Their systems are in some of the world’s finest and most popular buildings, including Toronto’s Skydome, Beijing’s World Trade Center complex and Washington D.C.’s Washington Monument.
  • Leader in home air quality: Trane’s whole-house air filtration systems are proven to remove up to 99.8 percent of all air allergens and particles inside your home. In addition, the Trane website features a resource center for consumers to learn about air quality and figure out which products will benefit their particular situation.
  • Specialization: Because they specialize in home air solutions, Trane is able to focus on the air solutions homes and businesses need. Their specialization has helped Trane achieve have over 1500 patents, making them a top innovator in the field of HVAC technology.
  • Testing videos: Watch videos from the testing facility on the Trane website to see just how far the Trane Reliability Engineers are willing, and able, to take their products.
  • Smart technology: Homeowners will appreciate the Nexia Home Intelligence when it’s connected with a Trane ComfortLink or ComfortLink II communicating control. This system allows homeowners to reduce their energy consumption by controlling their air conditioning systems remotely.
  • Best for Those looking for a central air conditioning system who are also concerned about air quality.

Compare Air Conditioners