Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

444 Trane Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

... Obviously describing one more time my personal experience with the hell named "TRANE" is moot point. Over the years I went through rebuilding half of the attic and closets, replacement at my own expense defective from the manufacturer parts, warranty which exists only in sales booklets, treatment by any, and I repeat it is not only customer service, it is culture within company to treat customers worse than stray animals, but it is not my point. The whole corporate culture reminded me of the drug dealers on the streets of Philly. - Get their foot in the door and milk the end user for the monies. Well, that's what I wanted to say today after another "conversation" regarding my TRANE heatpump today with Allentown office - they just hung up on me.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

Purchased mini-split heat pump (Model:130900289x) five years ago. Now broken, leaking Freon gas. Since the model was outsourced to a company that no longer is associated with Trane, no one can find my warranty and parts are no longer available. Solution: Purchase a new heat pump. What can stop a Trane? Outsourcing. Tony

Get expert buying tips about Air Conditioners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

Recently installed _new_ 3.5 ton AC/ Heat Pump by "reputable, professional, nationally certified and factory trained technicians with years of installation and service experience to get the job done right the first time" - end quote. Unit failed to maintain, leave alone lower temperatures in mild 80-85 F outside weather. In fact temperature climbing at the rate of 3 degrees in hour till sundown. Paid for service call by another, chosen by TRANE contractor to do Manual-J calculations (which never been done in the first place). According to the numbers in the report house require 5 ton unit, but TRANE flatly refuses to resolve the issue, nor provide any document substantiating the decision where the additional 21 000 BTU will be coming from.

... So called. Customer service is a joke. Bunch of semi-educated incompetent big-mouths from ghetto. So far I was unable to receive any explanation for the numbers received, nor any problem resolution. Reality of the modus operandi - take your monies and run, and screw the customer. (Case #**). Obviously, most of us here because of the issues with TRANE equipment, but still at some point shafting customers will backfire. Hopefully sooner, than later, so Gary Michel will feel the pain of each and every screwed customer, hopefully the same way as Enron top echelon did.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2019

I purchased a new air conditioner to replace a 18 year old one. They basically sold me a defective XL 15i. As soon as the tech started up the new unit I asked him why it shook so much. He said that is because Trane went to a 2 blade fan in it. I said that appears to be a stupid decision. For the next 3 years I had to keep tightening screws on it because it would squeak horribly and my neighbors would hear it. So I finally called the installers to have them check it out.

After taking it apart they noticed that the fan blade was bent! There is NO way it bent on its own underneath the cover so I know it was that way from the beginning. They said since I did not get the extended warranty it would cost 400 dollars to get a new blade. I said it was like that from the day they installed it. They did not care. I called trane and they said since I did not get the extended warranty it was not covered. I said, "Wait a minute, you sold me a defective air conditioner and you will not stand behind.." They said, "NO.." So I am done with trane. Had to replace my trane furnace a few years back, went with Lennox!!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2019

On February 3rd 2017 I purchased two Trane/American Standard AC units for my home. The original Ac units were Trane as well, and have had no issues at all with the old units, they were originally installed 20 years ago when the home was built. Being proactive, so I thought, and having such good service from the original units I purchased two new ones. Since then, last year I had to have the TXV Valves replaced in both units. This was a supposed known manufacturing defect by American Standard/Trane yet the units were still released to the public, this was explained to me by the Trane/American Standard representative over the phone that authorized the replacements of the valves on both units that were not cooling the home down at all.

This year I am now blessed with replacing a compressor on the 3 ton unit. At the end of last year I called the Trane customer service line complaining of an issue that one unit was louder than the other and using more electricity from the smaller unit than the larger. Reference number given me at the time from Trane was I believe **. Since then Trane never returned my phone call or Emailed me with regards to the issue. Every time I call Trane customer frustration line I get nothing but poor customer service, the consultants are trained to repel any relationship with regard to warranty claims or service, just try giving them a call 800-945-5884. It's ridiculous.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trane?

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

I had an old Goodman air conditioner that came with the house. I had it for 17 years and was still working. I upgraded to a Trane or at least I thought is as I was told that it was a good size for my home. The Trane broke 3 times in 3 weeks due to connection of the drain and I notice that this air doesn’t keep my room cold. I have to leave my door open and even like that it gets hot at certain times. My old one used to freeze me. I don’t recommend Trane. My nephew is looking for a new air and I mentioned to him what I have gone through and Trane is out for his home. I don’t recommend Trane. Thanks.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

I purchased a home in Cape Coral FL that has a brand new Trane unit. The blower went bad after only 1 months. The part is under warranty, but Trane refuses to pay for labor, which is $550. To make matters worse, Trane has no spare blower motors for 10-14 days. In Southwest Florida the temps are in the 90s. NO AIR CONDITIONER FOR 14 DAYS is unacceptable! Escalated the case to the Trane customer service department and they have no cares in the world. Cannot tell me when a part will be available or anything. I found "Something that can stop a Trane"....

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

I moved into my brand new home in May 2019, with a brand new Trane unit. By August 2019, my unit needed major repairs and I’ve been out of air conditioning for about 10 days now, at the hottest time of year. Heat was unbearable. Hotel room for 4 days, 4 technician visits, 1 new coil, 1 new compressor, hours of labor, thousands of dollars. Unit is useless after barely 90 days.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

The seller of our house put in a brand new Trane TAM7 with an XL18i just to sell the house. Less than a year into the house the unit developed a leak at the evaporator coil. Took several days in the middle of summer to get it fixed (labor/410a not included). Then within a couple months the "time delay fuse" blew twice in a row - the tech eventually replaced it with a similar rated automotive fuse. Now this summer the condenser coil went out and after getting that fixed the blower ECM has died. Over and over, the system keeps breaking in multiple places... Absolute piece of crap. A unit this expensive should last care free for years - not break down 4 times in the first 5 years.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

My home in SW Florida was built in 1967. Any HVAC system will have a challenge keeping up with the humidity and high temps here. My Trane AC system is 6 years old. It performs pretty well for the most part. I use cheap filters that allow the system breath and I replace them every month. Don’t waste money on expensive filters unless you have serious allergies. Thick filters make the AC work harder and will wear out the equipment.

General maintenance is easy and I am diligent about keeping the outside unit clean. I use a spray bottle with watered down Dawn dish soap and a garden hose. I regularly clear the drain pipe with my shop vac. I had a routine check-up recently from my home maintenance provider (HomeTech - I highly recommend) and asked the tech why cold air is blowing out of the crevices around the maintenance doors and bolts on my air handler. Plain and simple, it is a design flaw. He said he sees it all the time on Trane units.

I called Trane to find out if there was a replacement part for the casing or a recommended remedy. It was a runaround... All they would tell me is to call my dealer to evaluate the problem. That would cost me $119 for somebody to come out and say, “yep, there’s cold air leaking from the air handler into your garage. I'll call Trane and get back to you.”

Parts are covered, but there was no evidence of parts available. Please! My solution was Gorilla tape and bubble wrap to cut down the loss of cold air. It worked, but it really shouldn’t be so difficult to get a straight answer and a fair solution. I paid a lot of money for my AC system. I didn’t expect to be patching it myself.

There is a lot of room for improvement.

Trane expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Dating back to 1910, Trane has a long history of innovation in the heating and cooling industry. One of their founders invented the convector radiator in 1923, and in 1938 the company introduced the industry’s first hermetic, centrifugal refrigeration machine. Today, homes and businesses alike rely on Trane’s proven track record as an innovative company that provides reliable, energy efficient heating and cooling year-round.

• Leader in green building technology: Trane custom designs green technology for businesses based on their building needs to ensure only the highest air quality for employees and their clients. Their systems are in some of the world’s finest and most popular buildings, including Toronto’s Skydome, Beijing’s World Trade Center complex and Washington D.C.’s Washington Monument.

• Leader in home air quality: Trane’s whole-house air filtration systems are proven to remove up to 99.8 percent of all air allergens and particles inside your home. In addition, the Trane website features a resource center for consumers to learn about air quality and figure out which products will benefit their particular situation.

• Specialization: Because they specialize in home air solutions, Trane is able to focus on the air solutions homes and businesses need. Their specialization has helped Trane achieve have over 1500 patents, making them a top innovator in the field of HVAC technology.

• Testing videos: Watch videos from the testing facility on the Trane website to see just how far the Trane Reliability Engineers are willing and able to take their products.

• Smart technology: Homeowners will appreciate the Nexia Home Intelligence when it’s connected with a Trane ComfortLink or ComfortLink II communicating control. This system allows homeowners to reduce their energy consumption by controlling their air conditioning systems remotely.

• Best for: those looking for a central air conditioning system who are also concerned about air quality.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs