GE Air Conditioners

Compare Air Conditioners

Research top Air Conditioners recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Very well made product that is affordable. A brand that is very reliable. Does a great job. Worth the price. Easy to use and install. Recognizable brand for parts and servicing in needed. Puts forth the performance you expect and more. Very quiet compared to other models looked at at the time of buying the one we have. Variable settings to be able to adjust output as desired.

Most of these units are very standard. Not a lot of difference in outside appearances across the board. Made to be very generic in most cases. GE is a basic color and blends in with the surrounding room and walls very well. Doesn't stick out as offensive. Has stood up over time. Never had any issues with the performance or the use. Works every time its turned on. Never had any issues with the cord, the output, the controls or the motor.

I like the make of these air conditioners. They cool very well and save energy. I always have I set at 70 always. Does require a lot of cleaning of the filters. The performance is awesome. It cools very well in my house set at 70 degrees. I currently have three window units in my house. They save you a lot of energy. The only thing is the filters do dirty real quick if you're in a rural area. The appearance is good. It all depends on what you are looking for. Although it would be nice if they would start making the air conditioners in darker colors because white gets dirty too easily. The reliability of the air conditioner is awesome. Like I stated before it cools very well. I have three of them in my home and currently just use one to keep my home cool at 100 degrees outside so it's very reliable.

This product has brought great joy and comfort into my life and it is something I use nearly all year long. I have had my GE air conditioner for 3 years now and it still runs like brand new! I have never had any issues and it helps to improve my quality of life and gives me peace of mind. I feel so lucky that I was able to afford to out this in my home! GE products from my experience, have always been modern and up-to-date. It fits well in the space chosen and it has a very sleek and innovative feel and look. Overall, this product has not given me anything but complete satisfaction. I would recommend GE products to anyone and everyone that I know.

It worked well, fast, very nice brand, very efficient. Also didn't cost much to run. Keeps room cold for hours. Worth the money. Would purchase again. Cools rooms fast. Keeps them cool for hours. Doesn't cost too much to run. Very powerful, good brand. It was a nice, white unit. Perfect size, fits in window good. It wasn't too fancy but it looks nice. Very reliable, quiet too. Never gave us grief, always held up. I would definitely recommend this unit to people.

The unit was in line with others on the market. It worked well for many, many years. I would purchase another if I were in the market for a new a/c. It was fine. No major repairs were needed. We just needed to add Freon from time to time. It was energy efficient for the time. Plus it was not as noisy as some other units. It looked like an a/c unit. They generally are not the most attractive machines. There was some shrubbery around it which hid it and muffled noise. It kept us cool for many summers. It really was a good unit.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

This air conditioner has been such a valuable part of our daily life in the summer months here in Maine. We use it in our main rooms to keep cool and it works great. This air conditioner performs very well for our family. We have had it now for 3 seasons and it has not failed us yet. It cools our room very fast and then we are able to put it on fan mode to maintain the coolness. The appearance of this air conditioner is nice enough. It is white and is not too bulky. It fits in with our room decor and actually creates a nice accent to the furniture. This air conditioner is very reliable. It works whenever we need it to.

I have certainly gotten my money worth for the years it has lasted. I would buy another GE air conditioner without hesitation. It continues to run without a problem after many years so I believe I have gotten my money's worth and therefore received a good value in my purchase of GE air conditioner. I have owned this GE air conditioner for years without a maintenance or problem issue. Can't ask for much more regarding reliability.

GE air conditioners always kept our home cool and comfortable - the cost of running them was affordable and we felt like we got what we paid for. The performance of these air conditioners was always very satisfactory. We never had a problem with them and got many years of use from them. The air conditioning units were nice looking and fit into the room appearance just fine. Whether it was in the bedroom, kitchen or living room, the air conditioners did not distract from the rooms appearance. Every GE air conditioning unit that we have ever had was very reliable. We did not need any repairs on any of them during the time we had them.

The product that I have is very Energy efficient and extremely reliable. The product is very Low maintenance and extremely easy to use. We are very happy with our product and experience. This product works great and is very reliable. We never had to fix any part and it cools down the house greatly. We will and have recommended this product to friends and family. This product is very nice looking, it is not an eye sore and looks very nice sitting in our window. We have had many comments about how it fits perfectly and is not loud at all. This product has easy buttons and maintenance. It is pretty much self explanatory and the filter is extremely easy to clean out. It has a beautiful timer on it so we can set on/off times.

It's made life more comfortable for me and my family. We absolutely need our GE air conditioner during the summer when it's really hot. My family is grateful for a good working air conditioner that GE provides. This thing is a workhorse. We've had it for 9 years and it's still a solid performer. I would absolutely buy a GE air conditioner again if something were to ever happen to our current one. The appearance is about what you would expect for an air conditioner. I would recommend GE to my family members and friends. This is as reliable as it gets when it comes to an air conditioner.

Price varies on how powerful, large, or small you want the air conditioner to be but whatever you pay it's well worth the price if it entails a cooler home. They perform great and are long lasting. I haven't had any issues with my air conditioner and it's been quite a while since we purchased it. Appearance shouldn't be everything especially when it comes to ac's because physically they aren't appealing but it's the inside that matters such as the motor and such. They're very reliable. If they weren't I would assume that the company wouldn't produce other household products such as light bulb and other ac devices.

Even though I'm not in a southern state the heat bothers me immensely. Having my bedroom cool is necessary. The excessive heat makes me ill. This a.c. unit is a very small window unit, as my bedroom is very small. It worked very well the first year, but wasn't cooling as well the next year. Filter is clean, not sure why or if it can be recharged. No info available on that. Fit very nicely in a small window, without gaps in either side. Looks as nice as possible for a window unit. Not a whole lot of unit sticking outside the window, so it doesn't look ugly. Easy to install also. I've used it now for 4 years, it still works well enough.

It kept us very cool at night in a bedroom on the second floor. We were able to sleep very comfortably and sometimes we even used a light blanket. It worked very well in an extremely warm room upstairs and there was not even much of a jump in our electric bill. Each time we turned it on it did not take long to cool down our very large bedroom. It was a very modern looking unit and when the drapes were closed in the room that it was in you could not even tell that it was there (that is - when the GE air conditioning unit was shut off). Each and every time that we turned our unit on it would cool down our large bedroom very quickly. It was also a very quiet unit and even if my little baby granddaughter came to visit, it did not wake her.

Excellent. Worked fine. Loved it. It's easy to use, convenient, durable. We have has this air conditioner for over 3 years and still works amazing. Cools a room in minutes without any problems. Doesn't make a loud noise.

It was cheaper than a lot of brands and worked for more years. It wasn't the cheapest brand but it definitely had better quality than the cheapest brand. Stayed cool for 6 years before it needed to have more coolant put in it. After year six we moved though and left it for the next renters. It was a good air conditioner though. I liked the digital temperature and numbers on the air conditioner, and I certainly liked having the remote with it. The remote was very convenient. I never had a problem with the air conditioner until year six. It always worked just fine every time we turned it on and it blew cool air.

My mistake to buy in summer. Better price at the end of the year. Price matching helps. Shopping around is best idea. Gets nice and cold. Some days I need a blanket but it sure feels good on days when the temperature is so hot outside to come into the cold air. Normal color would be nice in color choices but takes up a small space. Is what you expect in a air conditioner. Doesn't stand out or too bulky. Works great and feels so good on really hot days. Stays at the temperature you select but sleep setting is nice for when you're not home.

My house was very small but very hot. They had cut down the only shade tree due to disease. That little window air conditioner cooled the whole house. I used it for 6 years. It was still going strong when I moved. I only paid $100 for it - so I got my money's worth out of it. The performance was awesome. Never stammered once. It was on 24-7 a lot. Sturdiest appliance I ever had. Were I ever in the position to need one again I would try and get one as close to that one as I could find. Nothing fancy just a little white box sitting in the window. I had a friend take plywood and build a frame around the air conditioner to keep the weather and heat out. Had to build a stand for it too. I never doubted its performance once. I could come home after being gone all day or even after being gone several days and I knew I could just turn it on. I would pack it away in the storage shed for months in the winter. Take it out in the summer, dust it off and plug it in.

GE products are worth what you pay for them. They are reliable and last a long time. I own several GE products. GE had the very best price on a hot water heater. I have had it several years. It was easy to install myself. I also have a GE wall oven and a GE air conditioner. I love them all. All my GE appliances do what they are expected to do. They do not ever seem to wear out or need much maintenance or expensive maintenance. The appliances look as good as any other modern appliances on the market today. They come in color and styles that match the decor of most homes. I have not had any problems with the GE products that I own. They have never needed repairs.

It was very nice and worked great and I didn't pay too much. The unit is still in my home today and it saves energy. We all love it and use it. It's really quiet and it's really not that big to where it takes a lot of space and it works real good - cools the whole house down quick and doesn't cost me much. It's about 2 by 4 and it's silver and when it's running you can't hear or see the fan moving and you really can't see the hoses that much. It is more than reliable. It's great and it's still like it's brand new. I don't think it will ever quit working but everything will eventually stop working one day. It just doesn't seem like this will.

Gosh, we had just moved to Florida in the middle of summer from NY. We didn't have an AC for about a month in our house because of the expenses from moving, and let me just say it was miserable. Once we got an AC it was lovely!! Helps to effectively cool the indoor temperature inside your home for a more relaxed and comfortable living environment. Energy saver feature Fan and compressor shut off temporarily when the room is cool enough, saving you time and money! Also easy to just install it yourself. ENERGY STAR 115-Volt is gray, it comes with a remote. It looks nice and not so bulky, you kind of just forget it's there. It has a nice design. It blows cold air so that's really the most important feature in my opinion.

The install was pretty easy and the unit fired up fine. It's a nice looking unit and quiet. The difference between the 3 fan speeds seems minimal. I tried to get a 12,000 BTU unit but they were out of stock. Hopefully for just working in the garage during the hot humid days of summer here in Raleigh, this unit will be fine.This is the best window air conditioner that I have ever used or have owned. The energy saver and auto feature keeps the living area of the house cool and comfortable. I am very happy with this purchase! Happy & cool! :)

It is a quality, affordable product that I would recommend to friend and family. I don't worry about it randomly breaking and having to replace it. I have peace of mind and that is a great feeling. The performance has been superior as I would expect from GE. They do not disappoint when it comes to performance and quality. My electric bill has not been excessive and my apartment remains perfectly cool. The appearance is not overly offensive. It is not too big but I do not believe this is a product you can make stylish or "sexy". It is utilitarian at best. So far so good, I have had my product for a few years with no issues.

I had a GE air conditioning, but after 2 years, compressor failed, button starting to get useless, and before compressor failure, buttons was stuck and kept turning on and off. I don't recommend this. I recommend Frigidaire air conditioning, it cools really good and has a life lasting too.

We just bought a brand new A/C unit yesterday. Last night, it worked very well in our small bedroom. Tonight, the fan is blowing cooler air than the air conditioner. Needless to say, it is going back to Home Depot. For $130, I expected much more than for it to work only one night.

After 1 year and a month the 8000btu model number AEL08LSL1 GE AC does not cool the room. GE support was useless. Home Depot was excellent and offered to exchange it. GE is terrible. I will never buy a GE product again. I actually wanted an LG AC but they were out of them and was forced to buy GE.

GE Window Air Conditioner Window Unit - I bought my unit about 2 years ago. It was wonderful for 2 seasons. This year I did every the trouble shooting book and their e-mail help center said to do without result. My problem is when I turn on unit, it is the same temperature as room. (88) I set it to desired temperature (72) and it immediately goes back to (88). I have read other dissatisfied reports and one on youtube that says the same thing about this product. This product should be discontinued and buyers should be reimbursed.

My dad uses this air conditioner at his office and so far it's still functional despite years of usage. The remote control does not work anymore, he tried having it fixed but was told it was a lost cause. It can cool the room during summer days and does not hum or buzz like similar-aged air conditioners but all its function keys do not respond anymore, except for the power button. Also, the temperature always reads 25 degrees although it feels much cooler after an hour of turning it on. So it gets a fairly good rating because it still works like an air conditioner even if most of the buttons you need to control its performance are already useless.

We have lived here at apartments on the 4th floor in Virginia for 6 years. It gets very hot in summer. Winter sometimes you need to use the AC. There is black mold in the units (2). Smells like horrible old urine. Black stuff blows out when you use them. Over time 6 years, it has made me sick with allergies, my heart is not doing right. Dizzy, weak. People that we rent from are doing their best to order 2 new AC's. This has been over a month. My health is at risk. Black mold can kill you. We need brand new AC's, or this is going to be reported to everyone in high authority.

There was a terrible smell coming from the side of our house and suddenly hordes (like 30 every day) were coming into our house. We figured an animal had died under my ferns, so my husband cut them down this weekend. The problem was neither ferns nor dead rodents but the non-draining GE air conditioner we had just bought. There was a pool of water on the bottom which had not drained and the flies were laying their eggs in it. The smell was like a dead body, and the color was deep brown. There were flies covering the unit. It was disgusting. I guess we're going to have to find something to suck the water out every so often.

History: Purchased at Sam's Club immediately after Gustav in 2008. Purchased extended warranty as well. First failure at age 3, 2011. Fan motor capacitor and main electronics control board failure. Warranty people said it would take 3 days just to find a repairman. I told them unacceptable. I am a former retired repair person.... Good thing for those skills. That is how I know what failed, because I repaired it! I did not use GE parts either. Quality is not there. The past few years we have been having freezing up issues. That usually means, needs cleaning and/or the fan motor is running too slow. So we pulled the unit and cleaned it well with chemical cleaner.

Here we are 2015, it has become very clear that the fan motor is failing under some kind of heat load. Unit freezes up, set for two hours, it runs again for a while. Tends to ironically freeze up early morning or late night. Makes no sense to me other than I know it is the motor. No need to grab the megohmmeter. When it is hopefully cooler, I will pull this thing and re-engineer the motor/fan system because I will not use GE here again. Come age 10, like most rotary compressors, I expect it will die. If not, I will run it into the ground and salvage the good generic parts from it. Looking at my a/c junk pile outside, has me looking at what can be put back in service as a back up unit/s from now on. That is because it is becoming more and more clear on this website, if you buy window units, you had better know how to fix and re-engineer them! Cheap stuff from China aka PRC.

Bought GE Window Air Conditioner summer of 2014 work just fine. Went to set it up for the 2015 summer & it's blowing warm air. You can't imagine how pissed I am! It's been two days now & it's still blowing warm air. I called GE customer service & was told my warranty was over with 2 weeks ago & there's nothing that can be done. So basically I'm out of money & stuck with a new air conditioner blowing hot air.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

General Electric is an internationally recognized leader in digital technologies. In addition to innovating, developing and selling technology around the world, GE has also provided billions of dollars in financing for other businesses to use for growth.  GE has air conditioning solutions for both homes and businesses.

• Wall and window air conditioners for home: GE sells both wall and window air conditioners for home use at reasonable prices. These are great for smaller homes, apartments and condominiums that don’t need a central air conditioning system.
  • Commercial air conditioners: GE’s Zoneline commercial air conditioners are great for hotels, hospitals, senior citizen communities and other businesses that would benefit from a single-room air conditioning solution.
  • Easy to find: Use the website’s handy “where to buy” feature to find a commercial or home air conditioner distributor in your area.
  • Warehouse: Perfect for consumers who aren’t concerned about getting the latest model of air conditioner or other appliance, GE’s online warehouse offers significant discounts on major appliances. They even include free delivery and hassle-free seven day returns.
  • Support videos: When reading instructions isn’t enough, watch how to fix common appliance issues with GE’s extensive library of support videos, all available online for free.
  • Best for Businesses, hospitals, hotels and homeowners who need a wall or window air conditioning unit.

Compare Air Conditioners