Find an Air Conditioners partner

GE Air Conditioners

4.0/5 (116 ratings)
Find an Air Conditioners partner
Banner image

Need help with an HVAC system?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About GE Air Conditioners

GE appliances come with a traditional warranty, but the company also offers extended coverage with a Service Protection Advantage plan from Assurant, GE’s authorized provider of extended warranties. The plan covers parts and labor for appliance repairs for an extended period. Customers pick and choose which appliances or systems need to be covered.

Banner image

Need help with an HVAC system?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

GE Air Conditioners Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Air Conditioners?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Original review: Sept. 11, 2021

I would like everyone to know that GE appliances are not any good. They do not stand by their warranty. I bought a new GE air conditioner at Lowe's. It run good for about two weeks then it quit. The GE co will not do nothing. They won't make it up so buyers beware. Another family member has bought three AC units. All have torn up within 4 to 6 weeks. I will never purchase nothing GE sells.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2021

I purchased a GE Model ACH14AZW1 window a/c unit in 8/2020. We only have need of a/c maybe 8-10 times per year. The first season I used it maybe 8 times. It worked very well. I removed it from the window for the winter/spring and brought it back out in July 2021. It still looks brand new. I used it 2 times and the 3rd time of turning it on, it is beeping, blinking, and will not stay on for more than a few seconds. I went through the steps recommended to clean the filter (which was not really dirty) and to unplug for a few minutes.

I called customer service and they were happy to tell me that my unit was still under warranty but rather than send out a technician, they would be replacing the unit. I thought this was nice of them. They gave me another number to call to begin the process of getting my unit replaced. Here is where you learn the "process" is to email them a photo of your original receipt (in my case a credit card statement) along with a photo of the Model/Serial tag (must be removed from machine first), they will send you an "acknowledgement" via email and then they hard mail you a "Good Will Certificate" for the amount found on your proof of purchase.

Once you have the GWC, you go to the store and purchase another unit with your own money, then send them a copy of your new receipt along with the Good Will Certificate that you received in the mail. (by the way, make sure you follow all of the instructions on the Good Will Certificate) Then they will reimburse you in the form of a check, for the new unit you purchased. This part of the process will take 6-8 weeks. I do not know what the GWC instructions are as I do not have it yet, but, I bet it says I have to buy a GE unit!! Which I would not do if they simply reimbursed me because I am sure I will be right back here a year from now. I definitely would not recommend a GE A/C unit, but, I will get this one replaced just for principle sake.

Get buying tips about Air Conditioners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2020

I recently purchased an air conditioner/heater window unit for a room that I added onto my house. When the unit was installed, I turned the heat on and noticed that there was no heat coming out. I had someone to come look at the unit to make sure I had the settings right and he informed me that it was right but the unit wasn't blowing out heat. Take into consideration that I had the unit temperature setting to 86 degrees.

I contacted GE, they walked me through the steps to turn the heat on and nothing happened so a technician was scheduled to come look at the unit yesterday (12/16/20). When he came over, he looked at the unit and knew it wasn't blowing heat. He turned it up and checked the settings. He mentioned that he didn't know why GE sold those units because everyone complains about the heat not working. He informed me that for my room to be at room temperature, I would need to run that unit for 24 hours or more and it still won't be warm.

When I contacted GE again about the technician coming out, they informed me that the unit was not made to heat up a room. I asked why did they have the term air conditioner/heater on the label if it's not used for heat. It's pointless to have the term heat on the box and it's pointless to have a temperature thermostat on the unit if it's not warming. This is a faulty product with a mix of false advertisement.

One of the representatives from the consumer relations team offered to send another technician out and send me $50. That doesn't cut it when I paid over $500 for that unit and now I have to go purchase a fireplace. That room was added and it's beyond frustrating for my family to be in there with no heat. I plan on contacting the BBB and every consumer website that comes to mind. I spent too much money on this unit for the heat not to work. If that was the case, I would've just purchased an air conditioner unit and purchased a fireplace. I work too hard for my money to be played by a company like GE.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2020

Bought the unit on May 1st 2020 and had to return it on May 6th 2020 because it stopped working. The replacement unit was the same make and model and it worked 4 and a half months before it stopped working. Trying to get warranty service has been extremely difficult and frustrating. Page 17 of the user manual says that a postage paid box will be provided to return the defective unit and a new unit or refund will be provided. But when I FINALLY was able to get a customer support person on the phone I was told that I would have to purchase another unit, send them the receipt and then they would reimburse me with a check that was going to take 6 to 8 weeks before I would receive it. The next day I tried again to get in touch with customer support and was placed on hold. After about 15 minutes the automated system gave me an option to be called back which did not happen until the next day.

When I received the call I informed customer service that I was not able to afford another air-conditioning unit and that I would like to have a refund which I believe I was entitled to especially since the first two units that I received were both defective. Customer service then informed me that a refund was not an option even though it says on page 17 of the user manual that it is an option. September 18th my AC quit and I did not receive a replacement unit until September 28th. The average temperature where I live was 93° during that 10 day span. I would have gotten my money back within a week had I bought that air conditioner from Amazon or eBay. I am also out of pocket for two extra installs and the disposal of the defective AC unit. GE did not send a box to retrieve the defective unit and told me that I would have to dispose of it. Very unprofessional. They robbed me and didn’t even need a gun to do it.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

We are now in the process of returning our THIRD GE window unit in less than 2 months. All with the same exact problem. The compressor won't kick on and the display panel doesn't work. The unit thinks someone is constantly pushing the up button so it keeps setting itself to 86 degrees. ALL 3 Units have done this. This is no coincidence. GE just makes terrible window units. The first 2 were smaller 115 volts and the 3rd was a bigger 230 volt. Size, voltage, and cost obviously don't matter. And even if we opted to have the motherboard replaced to fix the problem, we couldn't because they are made in China and are all on backorder. Do Not waste your time or money with a GE window unit. We will be going with a different brand this time.

Original review: July 23, 2020

Bought GE air conditioner for my bedroom. Only Used it 4 months (June- Sept 2019) and didn’t use again until this June. After 2 weeks started making crazy noise and freezing up. Also shooting water out front. 2 days past warranty. Had to purchase another and it sure wasn’t a GE.

Original review: July 9, 2020

Worst period, window 8lb mauls. ac period. I have seen. Red filter light is on blinking, not way to reset, even after cleaning filter, WiFi connectivity isn't there- button will not light up nor is there any indication on Wifi that its is emitting. Temp controls are way off. If set for 78, temps range from 67-85. Can't uninstall it as I am disabled now. Am tempted to unbolt it, drop to outside and hold a media event, with 8lb mauls.

Original review: June 17, 2020

I've owned this GE smart air conditioner for maybe a month. Today the filter light was on. Soni took it out and rinsed it then put it back in. Light went out. Then 2hrs later it's all iced up. I had to turn it off because it was not cooling for one and it was making such loud noise I was afraid it was about to just blow up. This air conditioner was $400! I've had it a month! Now I gotta haul it out of the window and back down 2 flights of stairs and hope I can get it into my car. This this barely a month old wth????

Original review: May 28, 2020

I thought I was buying a better quality unit by going with a GE model. I am very disappointed in this product and the warranty. The unit simply will not turn on and work at all after only a month of use. When it did work, it worked well. All of a sudden it stopped working. Tried everything to remedy. Reset the plug, cleaned the filter which was not even dirty, did not run long enough to accumulate. Keyboard pad lit up completely every light was on. Then it just died. Will not turn on. So now trying to use the 1 year warranty it supposedly came with. Impossible!

I registered the unit online and when I call it says I have no account. Cant talk to a representative because was on hold forever and no one answered. No clear instructions on how to use warranty. No clear instructions on how to contact them to ask about warranty. Did call the number listed on the owner's manual and got nowhere. This the second window air conditioner I am dissatisfied with. I bought a small window unit years ago that worked but would freeze up constantly in the middle of the night. I live in Florida so very humid. I chalked this one up to it simply being an inexpensive unit that did work to some degree, however would never buy another one.

This latest one I thought I was buying a better model, and would have less issues. I was wrong, and now I cant seem to get anything done about it. So I guess i am just out my money, and now have to buy another AC unit to replace this Non Working GE unit. Which I can barely afford right now. I will never purchase another GE Window AC, or for that matter any GE product of any kind. Done and Done! Buyer Beware!!!!

Original review: May 23, 2020

Bought a General Electric window unit air conditioner (Model GE Air conditioner AER05LX L1) at the end of last summer when one of my old units conked out. As it was at the end of season and we had a cool snap, I waited on installing it until this year. After installing it (and two other units by a different manufacturer) it worked fine. Then we had a couple days of rain and lower temp where the unit was turned off. After the rain and when temp started to rise, I turned it back on only to have it literally spewing water out the unit into the room from the fan compartment. I removed the plate over the optional 'max drain' hole. Some water drained out. I turned the unit on again, and it still spewed water into the room. I'm talking needing a bath towel to sop it all up with.

Checked the drains, not clogged and water level down in the outside of the unit. This is in the inside compartment and it is not draining. Unit is mounted exactly the same way the other units are and they are working fine and no problems. Why there should be a massive amount of rainwater inside the inside fan compartment can only be a design flaw. Rain water should not be getting into the inside fan compartment.

GE Washing Machines author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

General Electric is an internationally recognized leader in digital technologies. In addition to innovating, developing and selling technology around the world, GE has also provided billions of dollars in financing for other businesses to use for growth. GE has air conditioning solutions for both homes and businesses.

• Wall and window air conditioners for home: GE sells both wall and window air conditioners for home use at reasonable prices. These are great for smaller homes, apartments and condominiums that don’t need a central air conditioning system.

• Commercial air conditioners: GE’s Zoneline commercial air conditioners are great for hotels, hospitals, senior citizen communities and other businesses that would benefit from a single-room air conditioning solution.

• Easy to find: Use the website’s handy “where to buy” feature to find a commercial or home air conditioner distributor in your area.

• Warehouse: Perfect for consumers who aren’t concerned about getting the latest model of air conditioner or other appliance, GE’s online warehouse offers significant discounts on major appliances. They even include free delivery and hassle-free seven-day returns.

• Support videos: When reading instructions isn’t enough, watch how to fix common appliance issues with GE’s extensive library of support videos, all available online for free.

GE Air Conditioners Company Information