2. Homeowners

Frigidaire Air Conditioner
Shop on Appliances Connection
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.42/5

Frigidaire Air Conditioner Shop on Appliances Connection

Need help with your air conditioning?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Need help with your air conditioning?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Frigidaire Air Conditioner Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Frigidaire Air Conditioner?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Frigidaire?

Original review: Nov. 5, 2020

Purchased mobile home in 2019 with Frigidaire central air installed June of 2019. Unit not cooling and called for service. Company found a leaking compressor. Frigidaire claims a ten year parts warranty but if you are not the original purchaser on the AC unit the warranty goes to 5 years. Called about part and local distributor did not want go honor warranty. Another distributor would cover the part but has to be shipped and I have to pay for the shipping which is over 100 dollars. When it comes in to be installed I have to pay another 1300 dollars on top on the money already spent to diagnose the problem. So far have waited four days for the part and in the meantime it's been over 80 degrees here. My wife and I are both senior citizens on a fixed income. The repair person also told me that the units have a history on the coils rusting out. I called the manufacturer and they don’t care. I told them the only good use for the unit is a boat anchor.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

Bought a new home 3 years ago. Home was equipped with a heat pump. This unit is made by Frigidaire. Been in this home now for 3 years. The heat pump has failed every year so far. First an outside coil. Then another outside coil. The whole outside unit was replaced in January of 2018. Had unit serviced in fall of 2018 and it was low on freon (again) no leak was found? Unit worked until fall of 2019 then down again. Very low on freon again. This time was another service person as the installer didn't want to work on it anymore. This person found a small leak in the A coil (inside part). Just had that replaced at over $700.00. The part was under warranty but labor is not.

I have been in contact with Frigidaire and was basically told that's the way it goes. It has a warranty. This service person told me to save my money as I will be replacing the whole unit. Only a matter of when. He told me (as others have) that Frigidaire units are not reliable at all and always fail and end up being replaced. I can not believe equipment like this is allowed to be sold. This is our 4th home. The last one we lived in for 30 years with the same heat and air unit the whole time. Oh it needed to have repairs and service but that was over a 30 year span. We sold the home with that unit still doing a good job.

If Frigidaire units can't go a year without major failure how can I expect to be happy with this garbage. I am saving to put a new heat pump in my new house now. I urge you to stay away from Frigidaire and the people who insist they are good. I also invite the Frigidaire company to contact me and explain to me why after all this work and replaced parts my "new" heat pump of only 3 years old is such a piece of junk. What can they say to me (to anyone) who is unfortunate enough to own one of these units that can make us feel better, or happy with what we own (stuck with). So the invitation is put out to Frigidaire!

Get buying tips about Air Conditioners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 24, 2019

The unit is ONLY 2 months old and has lots of mold/mildew on the inside as you look through the vent. The backing is made of styrofoam! Cheap and not cleanable! Beware and do not purchase for the health of you and your family. Frigidaire will NOT do anything about this and proceeds to tell me to pay for a service provider to clean the unit at my cost!

Original review: July 20, 2019

Went to Best Buy at Gateway Mall Brooklyn NY to buy an air conditioner, ended up buying a brand new Frigidaire air conditioner 6000 btu, supposably cools off 250 sq ft. I got it for a bedroom less than 150 to 200 sq ft. The worst thing I ever spent my money on.. it does not cool off the room whatsoever. It’s not worth the money. It visually pretty and quite but it’s doesnt work! Only way you feel any cool air is by standing directly in front of the Air Conditioner. What a waste.

Original review: July 18, 2019

Purchased a 6000 BTU unit according to room spec from PC Richards. Cooling is poor, fan speed is weak and now the inside rattles. Noticed the inside is styrofoam. Disposing the unit as soon as possible.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I had bought a window unit for Frigidaire and after 1 month stop working. Call customer care at Walmart and called com CSR. Was closed on Friday evening. Need someone to call me at **. Thank you. Not reliable product. Very much upset when I had pay 303.00.

Original review: July 16, 2018

I had installed a new Frigidaire HVAC system in my home 11 years ago to the day. The Air Handler motor broke this last weekend, I called the company that installed it and found out it had a 10 year warranty. Well I thought that is nice, but OK. Then I got a call this morning that the replacement motor is $800 or 25% of the cost to install the entire system, which included a new outside unit, furnace, and air handler as well as the installation. I would recommend anyone NOT purchase a Frigidaire central air system, or at the very least don't purchase one with the defective variable speed option. There are many units and I saved $350 to purchase this unit over a Trane system. Don't I feel like an idiot now.

This company makes priority parts where you must purchase their overpriced replacement parts, and I have to wait two more days for the motor to be shipped in, with an outside temperature over 100 degrees each day. I can only hope that the president of Frigidaire has to sit in a house with no HVAC for a week in his home due to someone's stupidity. A motor is a motor and no product should have a specialty motor which GE, or some other motor company did not make to stop this price gouging, delay in repair and the obvious design flaw of this company. Frigidaire has just bought themselves a great advertiser for NOT PURCHASING A FRIGIDAIRE anything. This is one opinion I will not be keeping to myself.

Original review: July 4, 2018

Bought one (Portable air conditioner) originally due to health issues in carrying things (rotator cuff). It lasted 2 years then just stopped working. My daughter had the same one in storage in her cellar (heated) and has used it maybe a dozen times for a day. It now leaks water all over the carpet. Needless to say it will be the last of the Frigidaire products we ever buy. Junk.

Original review: June 30, 2018

Less than 3yrs old. Used 5 times and always stored in winter. Could pass for new. This year when I plugged it in, within seconds it stoped working. Customer service said it’s the display panel, parts not available and I need to buy new one. I have a 17 yr old GE manual a/c that still works beautifully. But this Frigidaire unit model FFRE08L3Q1 is totally and completely junk.

Original review: June 26, 2018

I have a room A/C I bought from Lowe's. I started having problems with unit and I contacted Lowe's on 5-15-18 and was advised that they had the record of my purchase and the unit was still under warranty and a repair order would be issued to Electrolux. I receive an email confirming the repair order had been issued and that repairs would be completed by 5-29-18. No one called or showed for repair, so I called Lowe's again and was advised that Frigidaire did not repair these units and they transferred me to Frigidaire to get a RA. Frigidaire advised me that they did not repair any a/c unit under 16,000 btus, and that my unit was not under warranty.

I explained to her that my product manual stated that the unit had a 7 year warranty. After an 1 1/2 hours on the phone. I was advised that the warranty could not be verified and there would be no repair or replacement. I called and talked to someone and explained the situation and we were able to verify that the unit was under warranty. All of a sudden then the story about no unit under 16,000 btus was replaced and not repaired changed. She told me would send repair company and advised me who would be coming. I advised her that the same company had came out to repair my other Frigidaire A/C and that they were unreliable and it took them over 3 weeks to do the repair. She said they were the only repairer in the area. I got a call from the servicer and was advised that the repair order listed the unit as out of warranty.

I told him that was incorrect and that I had my manual that stated the unit had a 7 year warranty and that I had already verified the warranty with Frigidaire. I called Frigidaire again and talked to representative again and explained issue and she called servicer. While I was on hold and he told her he was refusing to come out and repair unit. She told me of this and I told her I knew this guy was unreliable. She stated she would call another repair company and I told her I had been advised he we the only one in the area.

She advised me she had others and would call one. Later I got a call from same company and was advised they would service unit. The repairman came out and looked at unit and advised he needed to order parts and would return in 1-2 weeks for repair. 3 weeks later still no repair. The temp is 90+ here and I have been trying to get this a/c repaired for almost 6 weeks. This is beyond ridiculous. No warranty repair. All I have received is delay tactics and lies. There is no acceptable excuse that the unit was not repaired or replaced weeks ago.

Frigidaire author review by ConsumerAffairs

After manufacturing early versions of electric refrigerator in 1916, The Guardian Frigerator Company was bought and renamed Frigidaire by General Motors in 1918. Since then, Frigidaire has been a major innovator of home technology, including introducing the first color-matching appliances, the first home chest freezer and the first automatic ice dispenser. Today consumers appreciate Frigidaire’s focus on energy-efficiency and smart technology along with their versatile selection of air conditioners.

• Versatility: Frigidaire sells several different types of air conditioners, including window, wall, portable, ductless split, PTACs and central air conditioning units. With such a variety, Frigidaire has something for everyone.

• Easy to find: Frigidaire’s “dealer locator” option on their website makes it easy to find a retailer who sells Frigidaire in your area. You can also find a certified contractor to install your HVAC system through their website.

• Rebates: Frigidaire routinely offers rebates and promotions on all its products, including air conditioners. Make sure to check their website before you buy your air conditioner to see if your purchase qualifies for a special offer.

• Online product support and manuals: Don’t worry if you misplace your manual. Frigidaire’s website houses manuals for its products so you can quickly access the information you need. The website also has product support for troubleshooting and general questions.

• Free shipping: Customers who prefer to shop online will enjoy free shipping on purchases over $25. Purchases that are less than $25 enjoy flat-rate shipping.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team