2.52/5
Based on 89 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

97 Frigidaire Air Conditioner Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 16, 2018

I had installed a new Frigidaire HVAC system in my home 11 years ago to the day. The Air Handler motor broke this last weekend, I called the company that installed it and found out it had a 10 year warranty. Well I thought that is nice, but OK. Then I got a call this morning that the replacement motor is $800 or 25% of the cost to install the entire system, which included a new outside unit, furnace, and air handler as well as the installation. I would recommend anyone NOT purchase a Frigidaire central air system, or at the very least don't purchase one with the defective variable speed option. There are many units and I saved $350 to purchase this unit over a Trane system. Don't I feel like an idiot now.

This company makes priority parts where you must purchase their overpriced replacement parts, and I have to wait two more days for the motor to be shipped in, with an outside temperature over 100 degrees each day. I can only hope that the president of Frigidaire has to sit in a house with no HVAC for a week in his home due to someone's stupidity. A motor is a motor and no product should have a specialty motor which GE, or some other motor company did not make to stop this price gouging, delay in repair and the obvious design flaw of this company. Frigidaire has just bought themselves a great advertiser for NOT PURCHASING A FRIGIDAIRE anything. This is one opinion I will not be keeping to myself.

Original review: July 4, 2018

Bought one (Portable air conditioner) originally due to health issues in carrying things (rotator cuff). It lasted 2 years then just stopped working. My daughter had the same one in storage in her cellar (heated) and has used it maybe a dozen times for a day. It now leaks water all over the carpet. Needless to say it will be the last of the Frigidaire products we ever buy. Junk.

Get expert buying tips about Air Conditioners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 30, 2018

Less than 3yrs old. Used 5 times and always stored in winter. Could pass for new. This year when I plugged it in, within seconds it stoped working. Customer service said it’s the display panel, parts not available and I need to buy new one. I have a 17 yr old GE manual a/c that still works beautifully. But this Frigidaire unit model FFRE08L3Q1 is totally and completely junk.

Original review: June 26, 2018

I have a room A/C I bought from Lowe's. I started having problems with unit and I contacted Lowe's on 5-15-18 and was advised that they had the record of my purchase and the unit was still under warranty and a repair order would be issued to Electrolux. I receive an email confirming the repair order had been issued and that repairs would be completed by 5-29-18. No one called or showed for repair, so I called Lowe's again and was advised that Frigidaire did not repair these units and they transferred me to Frigidaire to get a RA. Frigidaire advised me that they did not repair any a/c unit under 16,000 btus, and that my unit was not under warranty.

I explained to her that my product manual stated that the unit had a 7 year warranty. After an 1 1/2 hours on the phone. I was advised that the warranty could not be verified and there would be no repair or replacement. I called and talked to someone and explained the situation and we were able to verify that the unit was under warranty. All of a sudden then the story about no unit under 16,000 btus was replaced and not repaired changed. She told me would send repair company and advised me who would be coming. I advised her that the same company had came out to repair my other Frigidaire A/C and that they were unreliable and it took them over 3 weeks to do the repair. She said they were the only repairer in the area. I got a call from the servicer and was advised that the repair order listed the unit as out of warranty.

I told him that was incorrect and that I had my manual that stated the unit had a 7 year warranty and that I had already verified the warranty with Frigidaire. I called Frigidaire again and talked to representative again and explained issue and she called servicer. While I was on hold and he told her he was refusing to come out and repair unit. She told me of this and I told her I knew this guy was unreliable. She stated she would call another repair company and I told her I had been advised he we the only one in the area.

She advised me she had others and would call one. Later I got a call from same company and was advised they would service unit. The repairman came out and looked at unit and advised he needed to order parts and would return in 1-2 weeks for repair. 3 weeks later still no repair. The temp is 90+ here and I have been trying to get this a/c repaired for almost 6 weeks. This is beyond ridiculous. No warranty repair. All I have received is delay tactics and lies. There is no acceptable excuse that the unit was not repaired or replaced weeks ago.

Original review: June 25, 2018

Never... NEVER purchase a Frigidaire appliance (Frigidaire 15000 BTU window AC)! They are fine, as any other product also is Fine... UNTIL there is a problem with the product. If the buyer encounters some warranty service... God Bless You! Terrible, Terrible service! Ya get the runaround, no return phone calls from corporate supervisors. Had 7 total service calls, at my home, for a really inferior product... cannot get a replacement unit! STILL HAVE A NON WORKING WINDOW AC! One of the worst products and worst technical service I've ever encountered. Purchased from Frigidaire company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Frigidaire?

Original review: May 23, 2018

I bought a Frigidaire a/c window unit 18,500 but in 2013. Compressor will not come on when outside temp is 85 or higher. That's when I need it the most!!! No satisfaction yet from Frigidaire. Not to mention all the black mold that builds up every year. Seems quality has gone out the window and making more money is in!!!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

I bought a new construction home with this unit installed. Everything about the ductwork is correct, airflow is fine. This unit constantly breaks- refrigerant leaks. The first year, capacitor went out 2x. The next year, another capacitor replacement, leaking. Year three stopped cooling- noises coming from the unit when turning off- sounds like a dying elephant. 2 AC companies have looked at it. The warranty runs out next year and this LEMON is STILL BREAKING. We are Sick to death that we got STUCk with this horrible electric HVAC unit. I've pressed the AC companies to contact the manufacturer and both are dragging it out. One tried to make 2200 dollars unnecessarily off of me prior to diagnosing the unit. I called the original installer. He is trying to address the issues. The Unit BREAKS Constantly. I will NEVER buy an Frigidaire product. I'm writing the Better Business Bureau.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

Five years ago we bought a Frigidaire air conditioning unit. Twice in 5 years the coil had to be replaced. The coils they use must be defective because not only have we had to replace ours but two of our neighbors had to do the same. The problem is besides the cost of replacement is the labor involved. It’s going to cost us over a $1000.00 for the repair. The cost of the original house call to diagnose the trouble and then the four hours of labor to replace the coil. I’m not sure why any A/C company would sell these units due to the rate of which they breakdown. But then if you think about it the A/C companies make a load of money replacing the coils.

Original review: July 8, 2017

My AC of 2 1/2 years starting blowing hot air. I called customer service, went through a series of trial and error and the gentleman said, "You will need service repair to come to your home." He checked the warranty and said it was fully covered and would be NO CHARGE. They made an appointment with Johnson Appliance in Hillside, NJ. Waited 2 weeks. Took the day off and then they don't show up! I call and an extremely rude and unprofessional woman said it was cancelled! When I firmly stated it was not she hung up on me! I called a Frigidaire again. They apologized and set me up with another service company and once again reiterated that it was under warranty and was NO CHARGE to me.

I have to wait another 8 days for an appointment and take another day off. Two days before my appointment someone from Frigidaire calls and say, "Oh sorry it's actually not covered"!! WHAT!? What kind of business are you running!? I speak to 2 separate people who say it is made two separate service calls. Then 3 weeks into this I get a random call it's not covered!? Is this for real? Is this customer service? The agreement at the time of complaint should be honored!! I spoke to a supervisor who was worthless!! I can now only warn other consumers to NEVER EVER buy Frigidaire products!! It's the worst!

Original review: June 27, 2017

I am a renter. The apartments I have rented for the last 10 years have had old in wall units replaced with new Frigidaire units. The first apartment replaced a 20 year old air conditioner with a Frigidaire unit that lasted only two years. The landlords then replaced the unit again with another Frigidaire unit which again lasted only 2 years. At this point they were convinced it was something I was doing wrong and they refused to replace it again.. Of course, it must broken when I pressed the on switch. I moved to another apartment and the landlord replaced an old unit with a Frigidaire in wall unit (I begged them to buy a different unit). Again, the Frigidaire unit has lasted 2 years and now blows only hot air. The maintenance department says there is something wrong with the air compressor. All I know is I have had 3 Frigidaire in wall units and none of them has lasted over 2 years. Don't waste your money. Spend a little more and get a better brand.

Original review: June 22, 2017

I have been dealing with Frigidaire/Electrolux for about a week to have my barely used 4 year old air conditioner (25,000 BTU model LRA257ST2) serviced. Nothing but jumping through hoops for their customer service department so far. Unit is under warranty and they seem to be trying to avoid honoring that warranty how ever possible.

Servicer came and did nothing, but now it seems I'm starting back at square 1 (if I am lucky, because not only did I need model and serial # to request service I am now told I need to provide an engineering code from the same tag located in 1 place on this machine... Right on the frame that sits against the wall). All just to try to schedule an appointment with a new servicer at my time and expense. I'm really just trying not to cave in and buy a new air conditioner as a matter of principle but until then I have to feel like I live in a sauna and there is no end in sight. I will not be purchasing from Frigidaire or Electrolux ever again because of this experience.

Original review: June 19, 2017

I purchased a Frigidaire wall mounted air condition model FFTH1422Q2 in 2014. I paid close to $1000 to purchase and have it installed. I used it in 2015. I tried to use it the next year 2016 and the air condition blows warm air. I contacted Frigidaire 800 944-9044, the agent said it is possible the problem is with the compressor and Frigidaire does not make that part anymore. You are kidding me. One year and they no longer make the part. That must be a great part. One freaking year and now I have to replace it. IT WILL NOT BE WITH ANOTHER FRIGIDAIRE PRODUCT FOR SURE.

Original review: May 22, 2017

We purchased a 5,000 BTU room A/C 2 years ago. Plugged it in this year and it would not work. Lowe's barely talked to us because we didn't buy the service warranty. Called a small appliance repair shop. We were told the A/C's manufactured these days are not made to last. They last for only 2-3 years and are made to be thrown away. Tried calling Frigidaire and was never able to get through to a human being. Not sure what our options are for cooling our home but I would not recommend Frigidaire.

Original review: March 20, 2017

The room air conditioner didn't work out of the box. Though they will replace the unit, I'm out another $120.00 to have the bad unit taken out and replace with a unit that works. If the second unit is faulty I have to pay again. Frigidaire couldn't care less. Bad company.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2016

Its systems are super easy to maintain and clean. Very cold air is produced and it's very quiet compared to other products. It's also very affordable and space saving on certain units. It has been great overall. Product quiet and effective. Not much water waste either for those who don't like to waste. I enjoy it a lot after a hard day of hot work. Cool, sleek design on some products. They're very edgy and give a home or business that extra touch that makes it seem more modern and beautiful. It has never given me any trouble in almost 3 years. Best investment of my life. I just clean it externally and let it rest for a few hours a day. Other than that nothing needs to be done.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2016

It works well and keeps the bedroom cold like I like it for next to no money extra on the bill. Turn it on for couple hours in the morning and evening and it's great. Works great on the upstairs bedroom better than any other we've had. Makes it cool. Used less than 5 hours a day. Used in peak season during the hottest part of the day. Not big and clunky like some other models. Does what it is supposed to do without being cumbersome or daunting or a sore thumb. Have had it for two years without a problem yet. Get you one for your house now. Really reliable!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2016

Has made my summer very comfortable and relaxing without having to worry about the heat. The air conditioner runs cold and is an extremely great product. Will always stick with this brand. The performance of the air conditioner is extremely well. It has multiple settings to help improve a better experience for those hot summer days. It has a great look to it as well as being easy to use. White in color, multiple settings, easy to see buttons, clear writing as well as big buttons. I haven't had any problems with this product. It has been very reliable, the filter has stayed very clean throughout the summer without having to be cleaned or replaced. It turns on no problems and cools down a room extremely quickly.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2016

Got my money plus I have not had a mechanical issue in over six years. No freon problems. Runs great. No motor issues or electrical - just keeps working. I have another that has never had a problem for over ten years. Frigidaire builds a great school unit. You never need to worry about breakdowns or cooling problems. You get years of hassle free performance. Many of the co on the market just don't compare. Looks good. Fits well in my home. Nice color and overall look. Dials and digitals are well placed and lit. Easy to use and run. It is just a good looking addition to my home. When I picked my unit there were many options. I picked Frigidaire right away. I have not had any problems with my Frigidaire unit. It runs well and I have not had a problem with the motor or electrical in over six years. I have not lost or had to charge any Freon in the six plus years.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2016

Made in the USA. EFFICIENT and cost effective. This was my first and only air conditioning unit. Will not replace it until it dies. Paid $400 for it and it has been worth every penny. This air conditioning unit is loud by today's standards. However, performs its intended purpose (cooling) beautifully. Will definitely replace with a new Frigidaire unit when the time comes. Had had no parts, labor or service in 16 years. Still runs beautifully. Obviously well crafted and sturdy.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2016

This product like its name has kept the air frigid and thus I have not lost high amounts of money in the summer due to having the windows and doors open. Has been a huge help over the summer. As the heat starts to rise I know I can be assured my home will be nice and cool. My Frigidaire air conditioner has a small compact appearance that doesn't make it stick out and is easily unnoticeable. This prevents it from ruining the decor of the house. My Frigidaire has never failed in its duty to keep my cool over the hot and dry summers and I have never had an issue with it in any way, shape or form.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2016

Would get another if we had a need for it - the main ac unit had to be replaced at a time when we were in need of change in housing so we got this till the new home was put in place. It worked well but would use it in a smaller room but we had to use it in a room much larger than the normal use, kept at a setting that kept us from getting too hot and did a great job. We were happy to have it and kept it for other uses in storage. We thank you for making it and keeping us cool at a time of need from overheating. When you go to buy a unit look at getting a unit that do more than you want so that in the future that unit will work in other places of your home or guest house, so that you do not have to get another unit.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2016

It worked really well and I am glad I made the investment. It is quick to respond to sudden temperature changes anytime of the day. I personally think it could not work any better than what it has for me. It is lasting very well with no signs of slowing down. Pretty good - I mean I can't complain about its performance because I have never had any kind of problem. I will not be in the market for another one for a long time; thanks to this one. It has not slowed down at all. It could look better than what it does right now but that does not matter to me in the least. I think the appearance is alright - all things considered I am satisfied with this product. It has worked so well and does not show any sign of slowing down. It is durable and really reliable. It will probably last more also so I am content with the product.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2016

Made living in my home much more comfortable. Was a high quality and long lasting air conditioner. It was also a very good value for the comfort that it brought to my family. It made unbearable summers very bearable. The air conditioner was very well made and worked very well for many years with very little maintenance needed. My family was very pleased with the ability of the air conditioner to keep the area in the house comfortable in even the hottest months of the summer.

The air conditioner was a nice looking piece of equipment that did not distract from the aesthetics of the decor of my home. It was very easy on the eyes, quite attractive. I would recommend this air conditioner to everyone. The air conditioner was exceptionally high quality. It was very reliable with very little maintenance. It had no problems keeping the area of my home comfortable even in the hottest months of the summer for many years. Well worth every dime paid for it.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2016

It had an energy saving device which helped reduce my summer electric bills. It was easy to operate. The air conditioner produced cold air efficiently for over 20 years. It was very quiet. There was little vibration. The operation of the unit had energy efficiency. In 20 years I only had two service calls to have it repaired and one was simply a freon leak. It was a room air conditioner that fit into the wall. It fit securely and did not detract from the room decor. It came in decorator colors that were neutral so that it blended well with my living room decor. It was very non intrusive. This air conditioner operated efficiently for over 20 years. After I sold the house the new owners were still using it in the humid New England summers. Two service calls in all that time speaks volumes for its reliability.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2016

This air condition is really good, it is easy to install, works very well, program the temperature you want and let the cool air begin. A very good air conditioner, good warranty, and good price. We went from hot to comfortable all summer long. This product is very easy to use and really works well at keeping you cool with a digital temperature display. You always know you can rely on being cool, easy to use and does what it is meant to do - keep you cool and comfortable even on the hottest days!!

The appearance of this product is simple yet stylish and has all the modern technology you want such as digital and programmable displays, temperature settings, and easy to direct the cool air any direction you want. This product is very sturdy and reliable, it is built to last with reliable parts and components. My last one I purchased before I purchased this newer one worked for over 8 years with no problems, we replaced it because we wanted a newer style and energy saver.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2016

Helpful in more ways than one, this brand was cost effective in all models, and the one I purchased worked better than I'd hope for. It was clearly superior to its competitors. Even ones with better reviews and a higher price. The cooling was quick and comfortable. On high settings it took about 5 minutes to get to the right temperature in a huge room. Air felt clean and clear at all times/not too loud either, but not completely silent. Looked somewhat mainstream but had unique elements. Very modern compared to generic brands. Others didn't have the quality look that my model gave off. I had the thing for over 4 years without a single issue. The reason I decided to get a different one came from a dog chewing the wire. The unit itself is perfect.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2016

The Frigidaire air conditioner is easy to use, has valuable settings for low or high fan, cools off rooms very fast. The air is very cold, and the unit is very quiet compared to most air conditioners. The Frigidaire air conditioner cools off the room very fast. It is a very durable and high-quality air conditioner that requires very little maintenance. It is much quiet than many of the air conditioners on the market today. The Frigidaire air conditioner is available in white or black, is not very big (can fit good in a corner of the house in somewhat small spaces). I have had our Frigidaire air conditioner for 5 years now, and it continues to perform like the first day I bought it. The air remains cold. It is very slightly noisier than when I bought it, but it's basically a small hum sound.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2016

We had absolutely no problems mechanically at all with it. It was easy to operate and to shift the air in the direction needed. The price was reasonable. The air conditioner had a very clean look and looked good when put in the window to set things up for that nice cool air! It fit in the window easily and you can make adjustments to make it fit proper. We were pleased how it came out after we fit it in the window. It worked very well even on the hottest days. I can't complain because it kept a large room quite cool on the hottest days.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2016

Not too expensive. Bought it over five years ago and it's still going strong. Definitely looking forward to buying me next one. Hopefully the one I have lasts. It cooled off my apartment within minutes. Couldn't have asked for a better product. It is a normal white air conditioner. Same color as most other in the market. The appearance is nothing out of the ordinary. It fits my window perfectly. Blasting out that cold air is what I want in an air conditioner. The remote device is not the greatest in distance.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2016

This air conditioner definitely help me beat the heavy hot summers of New England! It's safe to say I'd never be able to sleep at night without an air conditioner - especially not in my condo! I was finally able to catch some well needed shuteye! Everything worked fine, as soon as it was all set up! My dad and I went over the instructions and did some tests to make sure it was all well, and it surely was. I feel more comfortable leaving my dog at home for a while, knowing he can be nice and cool despite the summer heat!! It looks like an air conditioner, though slightly more streamlined. Luckily it doesn't look anything like my grandparents' old air conditioners!! I've always felt fairly confident with my programming and was always able to leave it off or on and not come home to a frigid winter wonderland, or a sweltering swampy bog.

Frigidaire expert review by ConsumerAffairs

After manufacturing early versions of electric refrigerator in 1916, The Guardian Frigerator Company was bought and renamed Frigidaire by General Motors in 1918. Since then, Frigidaire has been a major innovator of home technology, including introducing the first color-matching appliances, the first home chest freezer and the first automatic ice dispenser. Today consumers appreciate Frigidaire’s focus on energy-efficiency and smart technology along with their versatile selection of air conditioners.

• Versatility: Frigidaire sells several different types of air conditioners, including window, wall, portable, ductless split, PTACs and central air conditioning units. With such a variety, Frigidaire has something for everyone.

• Easy to find: Frigidaire’s “dealer locator” option on their website makes it easy to find a retailer who sells Frigidaire in your area. You can also find a certified contractor to install your HVAC system through their website.

• Rebates: Frigidaire routinely offers rebates and promotions on all its products, including air conditioners. Make sure to check their website before you buy your air conditioner to see if your purchase qualifies for a special offer.

• Online product support and manuals: Don’t worry if you misplace your manual. Frigidaire’s website houses manuals for its products so you can quickly access the information you need. The website also has product support for troubleshooting and general questions.

• Free shipping: Customers who prefer to shop online will enjoy free shipping on purchases over $25. Purchases that are less than $25 enjoy flat-rate shipping.

• Best for: homeowners, apartment dwellers, senior citizens and business owners.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

Frigidaire Air Conditioner Company Information

Frigidaire
1918
www.frigidaire.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business