2.63/5

Last updated: Jan. 14, 2018

91 Frigidaire Air Conditioner Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Tina of Hickory, NC Verified Reviewer
Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

I bought a new construction home with this unit installed. Everything about the ductwork is correct, airflow is fine. This unit constantly breaks- refrigerant leaks. The first year, capacitor went out 2x. The next year, another capacitor replacement, leaking. Year three stopped cooling- noises coming from the unit when turning off- sounds like a dying elephant. 2 AC companies have looked at it. The warranty runs out next year and this LEMON is STILL BREAKING. We are Sick to death that we got STUCk with this horrible electric HVAC unit. I've pressed the AC companies to contact the manufacturer and both are dragging it out. One tried to make 2200 dollars unnecessarily off of me prior to diagnosing the unit. I called the original installer. He is trying to address the issues. The Unit BREAKS Constantly. I will NEVER buy an Frigidaire product. I'm writing the Better Business Bureau.

Patricia of Englewood, FL Verified Reviewer
Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

Five years ago we bought a Frigidaire air conditioning unit. Twice in 5 years the coil had to be replaced. The coils they use must be defective because not only have we had to replace ours but two of our neighbors had to do the same. The problem is besides the cost of replacement is the labor involved. It’s going to cost us over a $1000.00 for the repair. The cost of the original house call to diagnose the trouble and then the four hours of labor to replace the coil. I’m not sure why any A/C company would sell these units due to the rate of which they breakdown. But then if you think about it the A/C companies make a load of money replacing the coils.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Roseann of Pine Brook, NJ Verified Reviewer
Original review: July 8, 2017

My AC of 2 1/2 years starting blowing hot air. I called customer service, went through a series of trial and error and the gentleman said, "You will need service repair to come to your home." He checked the warranty and said it was fully covered and would be NO CHARGE. They made an appointment with Johnson Appliance in Hillside, NJ. Waited 2 weeks. Took the day off and then they don't show up! I call and an extremely rude and unprofessional woman said it was cancelled! When I firmly stated it was not she hung up on me! I called a Frigidaire again. They apologized and set me up with another service company and once again reiterated that it was under warranty and was NO CHARGE to me.

I have to wait another 8 days for an appointment and take another day off. Two days before my appointment someone from Frigidaire calls and say, "Oh sorry it's actually not covered"!! WHAT!? What kind of business are you running!? I speak to 2 separate people who say it is made two separate service calls. Then 3 weeks into this I get a random call it's not covered!? Is this for real? Is this customer service? The agreement at the time of complaint should be honored!! I spoke to a supervisor who was worthless!! I can now only warn other consumers to NEVER EVER buy Frigidaire products!! It's the worst!

Princetta of Westmont, IL Verified Reviewer
Original review: June 27, 2017

I am a renter. The apartments I have rented for the last 10 years have had old in wall units replaced with new Frigidaire units. The first apartment replaced a 20 year old air conditioner with a Frigidaire unit that lasted only two years. The landlords then replaced the unit again with another Frigidaire unit which again lasted only 2 years. At this point they were convinced it was something I was doing wrong and they refused to replace it again.. Of course, it must broken when I pressed the on switch. I moved to another apartment and the landlord replaced an old unit with a Frigidaire in wall unit (I begged them to buy a different unit). Again, the Frigidaire unit has lasted 2 years and now blows only hot air. The maintenance department says there is something wrong with the air compressor. All I know is I have had 3 Frigidaire in wall units and none of them has lasted over 2 years. Don't waste your money. Spend a little more and get a better brand.

Christopher of Saint James, NY Verified Reviewer
Original review: June 22, 2017

I have been dealing with Frigidaire/Electrolux for about a week to have my barely used 4 year old air conditioner (25,000 BTU model LRA257ST2) serviced. Nothing but jumping through hoops for their customer service department so far. Unit is under warranty and they seem to be trying to avoid honoring that warranty how ever possible.

Servicer came and did nothing, but now it seems I'm starting back at square 1 (if I am lucky, because not only did I need model and serial # to request service I am now told I need to provide an engineering code from the same tag located in 1 place on this machine... Right on the frame that sits against the wall). All just to try to schedule an appointment with a new servicer at my time and expense. I'm really just trying not to cave in and buy a new air conditioner as a matter of principle but until then I have to feel like I live in a sauna and there is no end in sight. I will not be purchasing from Frigidaire or Electrolux ever again because of this experience.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Frigidaire?

muayyad of Fremont, CA Verified Reviewer
Original review: June 19, 2017

I purchased a Frigidaire wall mounted air condition model FFTH1422Q2 in 2014. I paid close to $1000 to purchase and have it installed. I used it in 2015. I tried to use it the next year 2016 and the air condition blows warm air. I contacted Frigidaire 800 944-9044, the agent said it is possible the problem is with the compressor and Frigidaire does not make that part anymore. You are kidding me. One year and they no longer make the part. That must be a great part. One freaking year and now I have to replace it. IT WILL NOT BE WITH ANOTHER FRIGIDAIRE PRODUCT FOR SURE.

Loretta of Manchester, CT Verified Reviewer
Original review: May 22, 2017

We purchased a 5,000 BTU room A/C 2 years ago. Plugged it in this year and it would not work. Lowe's barely talked to us because we didn't buy the service warranty. Called a small appliance repair shop. We were told the A/C's manufactured these days are not made to last. They last for only 2-3 years and are made to be thrown away. Tried calling Frigidaire and was never able to get through to a human being. Not sure what our options are for cooling our home but I would not recommend Frigidaire.

Cheryl of Tucson, AZ Verified Reviewer
Original review: March 20, 2017

The room air conditioner didn't work out of the box. Though they will replace the unit, I'm out another $120.00 to have the bad unit taken out and replace with a unit that works. If the second unit is faulty I have to pay again. Frigidaire couldn't care less. Bad company.

Brandon of Cartersville, GA Verified Reviewer
Original review: Dec. 15, 2016

Its systems are super easy to maintain and clean. Very cold air is produced and it's very quiet compared to other products. It's also very affordable and space saving on certain units. It has been great overall. Product quiet and effective. Not much water waste either for those who don't like to waste. I enjoy it a lot after a hard day of hot work. Cool, sleek design on some products. They're very edgy and give a home or business that extra touch that makes it seem more modern and beautiful. It has never given me any trouble in almost 3 years. Best investment of my life. I just clean it externally and let it rest for a few hours a day. Other than that nothing needs to be done.

Leslie of Columbus, OH Verified Reviewer
Original review: Dec. 14, 2016

It works well and keeps the bedroom cold like I like it for next to no money extra on the bill. Turn it on for couple hours in the morning and evening and it's great. Works great on the upstairs bedroom better than any other we've had. Makes it cool. Used less than 5 hours a day. Used in peak season during the hottest part of the day. Not big and clunky like some other models. Does what it is supposed to do without being cumbersome or daunting or a sore thumb. Have had it for two years without a problem yet. Get you one for your house now. Really reliable!

Kim of North Brunswick, NJ Verified Reviewer
Original review: Dec. 13, 2016

Has made my summer very comfortable and relaxing without having to worry about the heat. The air conditioner runs cold and is an extremely great product. Will always stick with this brand. The performance of the air conditioner is extremely well. It has multiple settings to help improve a better experience for those hot summer days. It has a great look to it as well as being easy to use. White in color, multiple settings, easy to see buttons, clear writing as well as big buttons. I haven't had any problems with this product. It has been very reliable, the filter has stayed very clean throughout the summer without having to be cleaned or replaced. It turns on no problems and cools down a room extremely quickly.

Raymond of Woodstock, CT Verified Reviewer
Original review: Dec. 12, 2016

Got my money plus I have not had a mechanical issue in over six years. No freon problems. Runs great. No motor issues or electrical - just keeps working. I have another that has never had a problem for over ten years. Frigidaire builds a great school unit. You never need to worry about breakdowns or cooling problems. You get years of hassle free performance. Many of the co on the market just don't compare. Looks good. Fits well in my home. Nice color and overall look. Dials and digitals are well placed and lit. Easy to use and run. It is just a good looking addition to my home. When I picked my unit there were many options. I picked Frigidaire right away. I have not had any problems with my Frigidaire unit. It runs well and I have not had a problem with the motor or electrical in over six years. I have not lost or had to charge any Freon in the six plus years.

Kia of Boulder, CO Verified Reviewer
Original review: Dec. 11, 2016

Made in the USA. EFFICIENT and cost effective. This was my first and only air conditioning unit. Will not replace it until it dies. Paid $400 for it and it has been worth every penny. This air conditioning unit is loud by today's standards. However, performs its intended purpose (cooling) beautifully. Will definitely replace with a new Frigidaire unit when the time comes. Had had no parts, labor or service in 16 years. Still runs beautifully. Obviously well crafted and sturdy.

Drew of Coshocton, OH Verified Reviewer
Original review: Dec. 9, 2016

This product like its name has kept the air frigid and thus I have not lost high amounts of money in the summer due to having the windows and doors open. Has been a huge help over the summer. As the heat starts to rise I know I can be assured my home will be nice and cool. My Frigidaire air conditioner has a small compact appearance that doesn't make it stick out and is easily unnoticeable. This prevents it from ruining the decor of the house. My Frigidaire has never failed in its duty to keep my cool over the hot and dry summers and I have never had an issue with it in any way, shape or form.

Steve of Plainview, TX Verified Reviewer
Original review: Dec. 8, 2016

Would get another if we had a need for it - the main ac unit had to be replaced at a time when we were in need of change in housing so we got this till the new home was put in place. It worked well but would use it in a smaller room but we had to use it in a room much larger than the normal use, kept at a setting that kept us from getting too hot and did a great job. We were happy to have it and kept it for other uses in storage. We thank you for making it and keeping us cool at a time of need from overheating. When you go to buy a unit look at getting a unit that do more than you want so that in the future that unit will work in other places of your home or guest house, so that you do not have to get another unit.

Sheelah of Sherman Oaks, CA Verified Reviewer
Original review: Dec. 7, 2016

It worked really well and I am glad I made the investment. It is quick to respond to sudden temperature changes anytime of the day. I personally think it could not work any better than what it has for me. It is lasting very well with no signs of slowing down. Pretty good - I mean I can't complain about its performance because I have never had any kind of problem. I will not be in the market for another one for a long time; thanks to this one. It has not slowed down at all. It could look better than what it does right now but that does not matter to me in the least. I think the appearance is alright - all things considered I am satisfied with this product. It has worked so well and does not show any sign of slowing down. It is durable and really reliable. It will probably last more also so I am content with the product.

Tracy of Richmond, IN Verified Reviewer
Original review: Dec. 5, 2016

Made living in my home much more comfortable. Was a high quality and long lasting air conditioner. It was also a very good value for the comfort that it brought to my family. It made unbearable summers very bearable. The air conditioner was very well made and worked very well for many years with very little maintenance needed. My family was very pleased with the ability of the air conditioner to keep the area in the house comfortable in even the hottest months of the summer.

The air conditioner was a nice looking piece of equipment that did not distract from the aesthetics of the decor of my home. It was very easy on the eyes, quite attractive. I would recommend this air conditioner to everyone. The air conditioner was exceptionally high quality. It was very reliable with very little maintenance. It had no problems keeping the area of my home comfortable even in the hottest months of the summer for many years. Well worth every dime paid for it.

Nancy of Scottsdale, AZ Verified Reviewer
Original review: Dec. 4, 2016

It had an energy saving device which helped reduce my summer electric bills. It was easy to operate. The air conditioner produced cold air efficiently for over 20 years. It was very quiet. There was little vibration. The operation of the unit had energy efficiency. In 20 years I only had two service calls to have it repaired and one was simply a freon leak. It was a room air conditioner that fit into the wall. It fit securely and did not detract from the room decor. It came in decorator colors that were neutral so that it blended well with my living room decor. It was very non intrusive. This air conditioner operated efficiently for over 20 years. After I sold the house the new owners were still using it in the humid New England summers. Two service calls in all that time speaks volumes for its reliability.

Darlene of Buffalo, NY Verified Reviewer
Original review: Dec. 3, 2016

This air condition is really good, it is easy to install, works very well, program the temperature you want and let the cool air begin. A very good air conditioner, good warranty, and good price. We went from hot to comfortable all summer long. This product is very easy to use and really works well at keeping you cool with a digital temperature display. You always know you can rely on being cool, easy to use and does what it is meant to do - keep you cool and comfortable even on the hottest days!!

The appearance of this product is simple yet stylish and has all the modern technology you want such as digital and programmable displays, temperature settings, and easy to direct the cool air any direction you want. This product is very sturdy and reliable, it is built to last with reliable parts and components. My last one I purchased before I purchased this newer one worked for over 8 years with no problems, we replaced it because we wanted a newer style and energy saver.

Chris of Hackettstown, NJ Verified Reviewer
Original review: Dec. 2, 2016

Helpful in more ways than one, this brand was cost effective in all models, and the one I purchased worked better than I'd hope for. It was clearly superior to its competitors. Even ones with better reviews and a higher price. The cooling was quick and comfortable. On high settings it took about 5 minutes to get to the right temperature in a huge room. Air felt clean and clear at all times/not too loud either, but not completely silent. Looked somewhat mainstream but had unique elements. Very modern compared to generic brands. Others didn't have the quality look that my model gave off. I had the thing for over 4 years without a single issue. The reason I decided to get a different one came from a dog chewing the wire. The unit itself is perfect.

Micheal of Richland, WA Verified Reviewer
Original review: Dec. 1, 2016

The Frigidaire air conditioner is easy to use, has valuable settings for low or high fan, cools off rooms very fast. The air is very cold, and the unit is very quiet compared to most air conditioners. The Frigidaire air conditioner cools off the room very fast. It is a very durable and high-quality air conditioner that requires very little maintenance. It is much quiet than many of the air conditioners on the market today. The Frigidaire air conditioner is available in white or black, is not very big (can fit good in a corner of the house in somewhat small spaces). I have had our Frigidaire air conditioner for 5 years now, and it continues to perform like the first day I bought it. The air remains cold. It is very slightly noisier than when I bought it, but it's basically a small hum sound.

Beverly of Raymond, NH Verified Reviewer
Original review: Nov. 30, 2016

We had absolutely no problems mechanically at all with it. It was easy to operate and to shift the air in the direction needed. The price was reasonable. The air conditioner had a very clean look and looked good when put in the window to set things up for that nice cool air! It fit in the window easily and you can make adjustments to make it fit proper. We were pleased how it came out after we fit it in the window. It worked very well even on the hottest days. I can't complain because it kept a large room quite cool on the hottest days.

Bill of Clifton, NJ Verified Reviewer
Original review: Nov. 29, 2016

Not too expensive. Bought it over five years ago and it's still going strong. Definitely looking forward to buying me next one. Hopefully the one I have lasts. It cooled off my apartment within minutes. Couldn't have asked for a better product. It is a normal white air conditioner. Same color as most other in the market. The appearance is nothing out of the ordinary. It fits my window perfectly. Blasting out that cold air is what I want in an air conditioner. The remote device is not the greatest in distance.

Kate of Bellingham, MA Verified Reviewer
Original review: Nov. 28, 2016

This air conditioner definitely help me beat the heavy hot summers of New England! It's safe to say I'd never be able to sleep at night without an air conditioner - especially not in my condo! I was finally able to catch some well needed shuteye! Everything worked fine, as soon as it was all set up! My dad and I went over the instructions and did some tests to make sure it was all well, and it surely was. I feel more comfortable leaving my dog at home for a while, knowing he can be nice and cool despite the summer heat!! It looks like an air conditioner, though slightly more streamlined. Luckily it doesn't look anything like my grandparents' old air conditioners!! I've always felt fairly confident with my programming and was always able to leave it off or on and not come home to a frigid winter wonderland, or a sweltering swampy bog.

Stanton of Portland, OR Verified Reviewer
Original review: Nov. 27, 2016

My Frigidaire air conditioner was able to keep my home cool during hot weather with little trouble and was fairly energy efficient. It never broke down or experienced any malfunction until it was 15 or so years old. It was very efficient at keeping my house cool during hot weather and had a thermostat that allowed for fine adjustment for what temperature we wanted. The main component was a large metal box that housed a large fan. It was originally placed on the side of the house, where we camouflaged it behind a deck-patio. My Frigidaire air conditioner was very reliable, as I experienced no major problems with it for its lifetime of 15 years. It was only after 15 years did it become unreliable to use, mostly because it became worn out.

Patricia of Clearwater, FL Verified Reviewer
Original review: Nov. 26, 2016

All appliances are costly but I got my money's worth. It has stood up to 3 teenagers 4 adults and 4 grandchildren. I am pretty happy that it hasn't broken down or given me any problems in the years I have owned it. It has held up under great stress of a big family. It has really kept on going and going! It has kept me happy from having to buy another one. It looks like most any normal run of the mill fridge. Nothing special but it has endured much! Thank goodness it has really been a good buy. Could never complain! I could not be happier with its reliability!

Valerie of San Antonio, TX Verified Reviewer
Original review: Nov. 26, 2016

It lasted a long time. It kept me worry free knowing it wouldn't go out on my kids or me during the hot summer time. We still have it! It doesn't cool as well but works great in a small room. It cooled our living room fast! Our living room is a huge size and we were always in there. We would leave it on energy saver mode and get home to a fresh feeling living room in this Texas heat. It wasn't too big or bulky. It fit just right in our window. It was digital settings so you could tell exactly what temperature it was at. Very reliable! Plus our electricity bill would not skyrocket.

Allison of Terrell, TX Verified Reviewer
Original review: Nov. 25, 2016

Very valuable for a window unit. It kept most of the house cool and didn't raise the electric bill too much. Last a nice length of time. Has a temperature option to turn up or down. Has a auto feature. Very good brand. I really liked the performance since mine was in my bedroom window and living room. I never had to worry about getting too hot and has the auto switch off once it gets to a certain degree. Ours was silver and black with a remote switch to turn off or on and up and down. Easy access to clean the filter but filter doesn't show. Very reliable. We got ours at least seven years ago at our old house that didn't have central heat and air and we moved about a year ago and it lasted until then or probably even longer if we could have brought it with us.

Jerry of Buffalo, NY Verified Reviewer
Original review: Nov. 25, 2016

This air conditioner unit has worked very well. It cools a large area of my house. The air conditioner has several different settings and a remote which comes in handy. It isn't too loud. It has many settings for different needs, including energy saver, a timer, and a remote control. The air conditioner unit is attractive looking. It blends into my room. The buttons for the settings blend in somewhat and aren't overly noticeable. So far, it seems to be very reliable. I have had no issues at all with the performance of the unit.

Ronald of Erie, PA Verified Reviewer
Original review: Nov. 24, 2016

The value of the product was very good and it kept me cool enough to make it through hot days. I would recommend this item to anyone looking for a good air conditioner. The product performance of my air conditioner was great. It ran well and kept my place cool without running up my electric bill too much. The appearance of my air conditioner was a nice item to look at and it stayed clean of all dust and dirt for as long as I’ve had it. I would recommend to anyone. The reliability of the air conditioner held up great for the time I’ve had it and still runs as good as when I first bought it. I would buy another one if I needed to.

Frigidaire expert review by ConsumerAffairs

After manufacturing early versions of electric refrigerator in 1916, The Guardian Frigerator Company was bought and renamed Frigidaire by General Motors in 1918. Since then, Frigidaire has been a major innovator of home technology, including introducing the first color-matching appliances, the first home chest freezer and the first automatic ice dispenser. Today consumers appreciate Frigidaire’s focus on energy-efficiency and smart technology along with their versatile selection of air conditioners.

• Versatility: Frigidaire sells several different types of air conditioners, including window, wall, portable, ductless split, PTACs and central air conditioning units. With such a variety, Frigidaire has something for everyone.

• Easy to find: Frigidaire’s “dealer locator” option on their website makes it easy to find a retailer who sells Frigidaire in your area. You can also find a certified contractor to install your HVAC system through their website.

• Rebates: Frigidaire routinely offers rebates and promotions on all its products, including air conditioners. Make sure to check their website before you buy your air conditioner to see if your purchase qualifies for a special offer.

• Online product support and manuals: Don’t worry if you misplace your manual. Frigidaire’s website houses manuals for its products so you can quickly access the information you need. The website also has product support for troubleshooting and general questions.

• Free shipping: Customers who prefer to shop online will enjoy free shipping on purchases over $25. Purchases that are less than $25 enjoy flat-rate shipping.

• Best for: homeowners, apartment dwellers, senior citizens and business owners.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs