2.63/5
Based on 117 reviews that contain star ratings

Haier Air Conditioner

Haier designs solutions to enhance consumers' enjoyment of home at every stage of life—from university to first apartment to all shapes of family living. Each solution champions intelligence, individuality and the human drive to create the perfect home, so that each interaction with the consumer is a new opportunity to bring ease and joy to everyday life.

121 Haier Air Conditioner Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I made an account just to review this piece of crap. Yellowed plastic, glued on parts fell off, had to cut the extension to make it fit, packaged upside down. Terrible instructions. Failed to work (continuously blew the room breaker although other ACs work fine). Just generally crappy looking, crappy assembly, crappy quality, crap everything. Ended up returning it but still a huge waste of my time and money and effort. Never buying Haier ever again.

Original review: July 21, 2018

Haier air conditioners not worth a penny. We bought one and it was the worst investment we ever spent money on. First it is very annoying to wake up in the morning and step in water on your carpet. In our RV we probably going to have to replace the floor because it's so much water did it leak and we also drained it all the time which was also very annoying not to mention awkward in the way the hose sticking and out of the window the heat coming off the back of the thing. These people I would just so love to tell you one thing who made these air conditioners stop making them and choose a new career path.

Get expert buying tips about Air Conditioners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 19, 2018

Portable Air Conditioner HPD10XCM - Purchased two years ago. Blows cool air excellent but only to 10 degs Fahrenheit below outside temperature. So if outside exceeds 85 F, unit becomes progressively less useful and useless at 90F because safety mechanism cuts out cooling compressor when unit at 80 F. Still, acceptable for Oregon where global warming summer heat waves not yet all too common, except for one nuisance problem: ALL THE COOL AIR blows to the right of the unit, none to the front. So, I have been placing unit 1/4 sidewise to work around problem rather than go thru hassle of returning HEAVY monster. I would like to be able to relocate the unit to a different room but it would have to face forward only. Are there baffles inside I could fix to redirect cool air forward instead of all towards Mecca or whatever is in the direction it seems fixated on?

Original review: July 12, 2018

I’ve bought an air conditioner (5000k with remote) on Walmart and it have signs that it had been dropped. Well I’ve ignored the cosmetic damage 'cause my house was too hot and installed it. After 5 minutes it stopped working. The package protects well the top and bottom but not the back, front and sides. They accepted the return and I’ve got the same one. Again the back was damaged and this one is working but makes a flapping noise.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I replaced Westinghouse and Norge 5000 BTU units (both over 40 yrs old) with Haier units (one regular, one electronic control). Prices were too good to pass up. One only worked 4 yrs. The other died the 3rd! When they worked they were fine... not too noisy… I think the new ones will be GE or LG not Haier.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Haier?

Original review: June 19, 2018

Both units have worked great. Just keep filters clean every week. Clean inside coils with toothbrush and just little water and outside of unit take care of it. It will last longer. Would recommend to everyone.

Original review: June 18, 2018

Bought 2 8000 BTU window units. AC are so loud, hate this. You would think paying hard earned money for these units they would be better than this. Just beware. They are loud, hard to hear a TV with the unit on, sure wish I could afford to get something different, but am stuck with this.

Original review: May 3, 2018

My husband and I bought a Haier 5000 BTU window A/C unit in 2016 which stop working one year later 2017. In 2017 we bought a Haier 12000 BTU window A/C unit. It worked great until yesterday 2018. We put the temperature on 61 degrees, but it feels like 80 degrees. This is sad that these units only last one year. I will never recommend this unit or buy another one. Because it has been a year I don't have my receipt. So that is money lost.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

Do not buy Haier products, their customer service sucks, they referred me to a local company for service, and they were unable to do so. They also added that Haier never paid them for work they DID in the past! They have offshore call centers that are useless (the USA reps were, ok). 4 calls, ** science, and a lack of any desire to assist the customer. The fan works great, hook-up is easy, but the air conditioner is useless!

Original review: July 24, 2017

Purchased window unit 6000 BTU a month ago, to save $ because I had an old GE unit 5000 BTU that wasn't an energy saver. However the Haier unit will not cool. It is set on 74 degrees runs nonstop and never cools the bedroom. Tried to return it to Walmart but without the box they won't take it back. Wishing I had never bought it now. Sold the old GE. What a waste of $190.00. I've tried everything to figure out whats wrong with it, just a BAD PRODUCT. Never buy one again that's for sure.

Original review: July 18, 2017

I purchased a Haier air conditioner that worked for approximately 5 minutes. After that it would exhaust cold air for 3-5 seconds and turn off. I called Haier the next day. They gave me a reference number and said someone would contact me within 48 hrs. I called again 3 days later. I spoke to Alex, the most arrogant and condescending person I have spoken to in customer service. He said that had to bring the unit from the Bronx to New Jersey for repair.

When I informed him that I am a senior citizen without a car. He told me I should have read the warranty before purchasing the product because the warranty clearly states that I must bring in the unit for repair. I asked him to show me where I could find this information. The warranty does not state this. He said that even though it does not state this, it is implied and it states this on his computer. Even though the air conditioner is less than 2 weeks old, he said I could not receive a refund. And if they cannot fix it, then they will let me know next steps.

Original review: July 4, 2017

Haier 5000 BTU window A/C unit was great when purchased a month ago. I checked the air when installed and was around 59 degrees coming out of it. After a month, the air coming out is 73 degrees. Taking it back and trying another one.

Original review: June 26, 2017

I am so disappointed with the 10,000 BTU Portable unit I bought for $284.99 last month! It sounds like a jet taking off when the "cool" mode is activated but not the regular fan. It is only cool if you sit within 5 ft and the temperature display never reads under 83 even when I set it for 75 and run it for hours. We had to arrange a ride and muscle to carry it for us and my box fan works better. So sad.

Original review: June 13, 2017

Every time I've used the floor model ac I've gotten sick, not cold sick, but dizzy and lightheaded and shaky. It got so bad that I had to go to the ER. It happened to my son and my roommate as well. My window ac does not have this effect on anyone. Wasted money and I will not be using it anymore.

Original review: June 6, 2017

I bought the air conditioner brand new 5000 BTU. After 3 weeks the high low switch wouldn't work and it wasn't Cooling. Trying to get through to customer service wasn't easy. You can't bring it back to the store. I only used it for 2 months and then I cleaned it, put it back in the box, taped it up and stored it in my heated basement all winter. I just took it out to use it and the motor is making so much noise. The bearings are out. I haven't even used this thing a couple months and it's just quality-wise this one was junk. When you spend a lot of money on an Appliance it should last a couple Summers when you only use it half the year anyway. Now I'm stuck with the hassle of either shipping this thing... Blah blah. It isn't worth it... I'm not going to let this thing take any more time of my life.

Original review: May 24, 2017

We bought split AC with model HAIER 13TFW3C on 08 Apr 2017 in Sonovision, Vijayawada, India. We got the problem during the installation time. As per the suggestion of Sonovision numbers we complaint to the Haier customer service. The Haier technicians addressed us after two days of our complaint and they convinced our parents when we asked us for us return. We got the problem again now and we complaint on Saturday on 20 May and your technician intimated he will come in 10 min and he addresses us after 3 days. And he said we have problem with blower in AC and he said we need to order for part replacement. We have function in our house and we said we need urgently... when we call, customer care, toll free or Veerabadra (MD) or any other they are saying we don't know anything. Can you please address us anyone as soon as possible. We are totally disappointed with your service, we are. Thanks.

Original review: May 19, 2017

Late last summer, at the end of the season, I purchased a Haier 5000 BTU window air conditioner. I purchased it in Delaware at a hhgregg store that is no longer open. I was very disappointed. This air conditioner didn't cool the room at all... My window fan does better job! The 10 cooling settings were a joke. Each number was the same... air blowing out. It was as if only the fan was working at every setting; there was no change in any of the settings. Fan, 1 to 10... All the same. I should have asked for a refund or an exchange but I live in NJ and I purchased it in Delaware to get a good deal. The joke was on me!

Original review: May 11, 2017

I purchased a Haier Digital 8000 BTU air conditioner in Dec 2016 from Walmart. The unit works and blows so poorly that it is often cooler outside than in. I checked the filter weekly and still have found it looking like the day it came out of the box, this is not normal. I wasted my money on this unit and will have to suffer with either sweating to death or sitting on top of it to feel the air.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2016

Cool, inexpensive. No air in my house but bought one for bedroom and it's beautiful. Especially when it's 100 out and no way of cooling off but to stay in my room. Good, cool, quiet, has a remote control. It does what it needs to do for a small room. Have it for 5 years and still kicking out cold air. Small but mighty. Good fit for a window. Think they should start making them in colors to match the room. Wish you could change the direction better. 5 plus years still going. Maybe not working as well as when I first got it but still pushing out cold air. Haven't had any problems with it.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2016

This Unit was purchased for 75% of recommended retail price. It ran efficiently all summer blowing cold consistently. It was far more energy efficient than the model I had previously. I noticed a savings on my electric bill versus previous years. Unit's design allowed it to fit comfortably into my window. I was able to easily install this unit with no help from anyone. It ran consistently throughout the summer and never had any problems whatsoever. The unit's design made it fit in well with the decor of my home. It was barely noticeable. A very modern looking machine. I was able to easily clean the filter due to the thoughtful design. This unit was well built and ran strong. I never had any doubt that it would be running when I got home from work. It came with a warranty from the store so I had zero concerns.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2016

Personally I can't sleep in an overly warm house, so I find it incredibly difficult to leave be without air conditioning. The unit we own has been reliable, but it's like a referee--you only notice when it doesn't do its job right. I haven't had many complaints about the performance. At times, I'd prefer it to cool more quickly, but that's impatience. It does tend to be a bit louder than other units I've owned. Meh describes it best. It sits in the corner of the yard and looks like an AC unit. Didn't buy it for aesthetics, so that's not a huge concern. I am reluctant to build any enclosure to disguise it though. The unit has worked regularly for several years. The control interface has been the least reliable part of the system, but that is much more easily replaced. We have not had to incur any repair costs at all.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2016

It has performed as expected since I have had it. It is also energy efficient, so it doesn't cost a lot of money to keep my home at a comfortable temperature. It has not malfunctioned since I have had it. It looks like any other air-conditioning unit that I have saw. I have not had any problems with it since I have owned it.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2016

I loved my air conditioner. It had a remote with it. The air was very cool. The price was reasonable. If you ever need questions answered or assistance, customer support is awesome. Very helpful. It worked well and I never had a problem with it. Nice clean lines and nice looks. It looked like a typical air conditioner but more up to date. I recommended for a few of my family members including my grandma. I gave my grandma my AC after moving into a new home.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2016

It did not last long, was not that cold, it would freeze up. I would have to shut it off to let the ice melt. It eventually stopped working after one summer. The performance was not good at all. It would not cool. I paid way too much to only get 1 summer out of it. I will never buy that brand again. I liked the way it was styled. It was very basic. It was not heavy at all. Very easy to clean the filter. It was very easy to install. It was not reliable. I had to turn it off and let it sit to let the ice melt that built up inside and on the front. At times it would shoot water out of the top. It had the right angle but I don't think it could drain the way it was suppose to.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2016

Price is reasonable, if you want a better AC unit you might have to pay a little more especially considering what size you are planning on buying. Worked great in big basement, nice cool air throughout basement. Easy to clean and isn't very noisy. Hope this helped everyone. The appearance of the unit just like any other one. The switches are easy to see and read. I've had the unit over 4 years with no issues. This brand is very reliable, and I would highly recommend this brand of AC units to other people.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2016

I bought it back when I was staying with my parents and it's crazy because 5 years later I am on my own in my own apartment and my air conditioner still works just as good as the day that I bought it. It can cool down a whole house in less than 30 minutes so therefore it's very energy efficient. I never had to worry about using my warranty since the day I bought it 5 years ago. It was the perfect size with great quality. Fits right into any size window with no problem and it's unique design helped it blend perfectly with the home decor. I have had five plus years now and not once have I had any problems. No broken buttons, no shortage or outage. Even works perfectly in bad weather conditions.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2016

I didn't pay a lot for it and wasn't expecting it to do a lot. It worked great. It kept most of my house cool. I would definitely purchase another one. It worked like expected. It was a small room window unit that I was expecting to cool off just the one room. It cooled off a few other rooms as well. It was small, and didn't take up a lot of space. Worked wonders during the hot and humid summer days.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2016

It is top quality and long lasting. Lots of good reviews on the internet so I made sure to check on there to see what past customers thought of the brand. So far so good. It's very well made and looks sleek. It works very well and I have not had any issues with it so far. It doesn't ever cut off or overheat either. It is awesome and I don't know why I didn't buy from this brand earlier. It's got a great appearance. It looks very modern and looks like it would last quite a while. It will be very useful for me and my family for a few more years. It is very reliable because it never broken down on me and it works powerfully to our comfort levels. It doesn't cause fires and it does exactly what it said it would do before I bought it at the store.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2016

When I come home from a long day of work sweating from the heat I can turn my air on and it gets cold immediately. It makes for a relaxing stress free night. It works great on the lowest level, makes my room super cold, easy on off switch and have had no problems with it. Blows great and the filter stays clear for the time I use it. Has a knob for the air flow level, on/off switch. High/low switch. Quick and simple and is small and easy to move and get into a window. Has a fan type thing on the top and front filter for easy removal. I've had it for a few years and it still works as well as the first day I got it. Gets super cold really fast and don't have to reboot it or anything and it stays cold. Isn't too loud either.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2016

It is the only unit and is able to cool the upstairs as well. It has been in use for over ten years and is still working well. It performs very well. It cools the house quickly and runs efficiently. It runs when needed and never breaks down. It has a long life. I would recommend and use this brand again. It has a good appearance. It is not too big for the area it is in. It has an attractive color. It is very reliable. It has lasted for quite some time and I've only had to do routine maintenance on it. I have not had to have it serviced or replaced any parts.

Haier expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Haier is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Haier Group. As a global company specializing in consumer electronics, Haier is recognized for their commitment to sustainability and community. They sell wall, ductless, PTAC and portable air conditioners.

• Serenity Series: The Serenity Series air conditioners are the quietest window air conditioners on the market, so you can sleep comfortably and soundly without battling distractions from a noisy window unit. Listen to a comparison between the Serenity Series and a standard air conditioner online.

• Easy extended warranty: Extend your warranty for an extra three months for free simply by registering your Haier product online. Along with a warranty extension, registering your product will give you more efficient servicing and exclusive access to Haier news.

• Info Hub: Haier’s online Info Hub is the best place to figure out which model of appliance you really need. The “how to choose” feature takes you through an interactive survey to figure out with air conditioning solution is best for your home and lifestyle.

• Online repair request and status update: Request repairs for your air conditioner online at any time. Select your preferred date and time along with any additional requirements. You will be contacted shortly with confirmation on your appointment and you can check your repair status anytime.

• International: Haier is a global company and has air conditioning systems available in North and South America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, Africa and the Middle East. So no matter where you are in the world, you can have access to a Haier air conditioning system.

• Best for: International users, homeowners and apartment dwellers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs