Select Home Warranty

Labor guarantee
$75 to $100
Service fee

About Select Home Warranty

Select Home Warranty offers three home warranty plans. You can choose to cover systems, appliances or both at a single-family home, rental property, manufactured home, mobile home or condo. Contracts are renewable each year, with discounts available for multiple-year coverage. Claims service from Select Home Warranty is available 24/7.

Pros & Cons

Pros
    • Three coverage options
    • Discounts available
    Cons
    • Not available nationwide

Over 10k reviews since 2013

Stars Rating

• 51%
    • 6%
    • 2%
    • 1%
    • 40%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Select Home Warranty?

1 featured review
      How do I know I can trust these reviews about Select Home Warranty?
      Customer ServiceClaims HandlingTech

Reviewed July 3, 2024

Select Home Warranty either cannot get a technician out to you or denies the claim. I have had the plan for several years (paid in full; which was a mistake). During the past few years, I have had five claims, which resulted in two technician no shows, two denials, and one resolution where I had to pay more than my contracted service fee for the repair. Customer Service staff is very polite and apologetic; however, they do not resolve the issues. They “will try to call the technician” when they do not show up for an appointment but usually, “cannot reach them.” Not surprising, I couldn’t either. You are then told they will get another technician; which doesn’t happen.

You are left waiting until you finally receive an email stating, your claim is still open and will be closed if Select do not hear from you to discuss the claim within five to seven days. Once you call, the process starts all over again. Then, at no fault of your own, the claim is closed and you still have not seen or heard from a technician or customer service. When you request to speak with management, you're told the manager will call within an hour, that doesn’t happen either. A big loss for what is supposed to give you security.

Profile pic of the author.
      Customer ServiceClaims HandlingCoverage

Reviewed July 2, 2024

Since March I have a claim that was described by the tech on site. Select changed his wording so they would not have to pay. Then I had a dishwasher claim and the tech explained the issue so Select has stated it will not pay for labor. Only parts. Now I have claim for my dishwasher and it has been 2 weeks and no has called me about anyone coming out to check it. I have read their contract and nowhere does it state labor is or not covered. The AC unit I can’t find anywhere in contract that the expansion valve is or not covered. I have called numerous times and was promised things like the labor would be covered for the washer. I have tried to cancel but they won’t cancel. Even the contract says I could. They can never speak English putting us in such a position that is not acceptable. DO NOT DO business with these crooks. STAY AWAY.

Claims HandlingCoverageTech

Reviewed July 2, 2024

Select Home Warranty does not cover most of the equipment nor emergency. The policy document is creatively written to avoid most of the costs when one submits a claim. The policy covers some electrical parts which are low cost and rest fix and equipment is to be paid by the customers. My neighbors and friends have better experience with American Shield Home Warranty OR I would prefer local contractors or direct support from suppliers such as PSEG.

Customer Service

Reviewed July 1, 2024

Very very upset!!!! I have called over and over and over again for my shower issue and all I get is runarounds. I’m not a basketball. I’m not satisfied with the customer service. I can’t even talk to a supervisor. They won’t do anything other than say they will "escalate". 2 weeks now. They keep saying they will escalate!!! Is this what I’m paying for? To just have to spend my time calling and calling and get no help?

Customer ServiceTech

Reviewed June 28, 2024

Poor customer service. They don't care for the customer and are all outsourced. They sent a roof contractor to my house that was afraid of heights and wouldn't get on the roof. Looked like he was on some kind of substance. That is the quality of the contractors they get for you. And they only give you bare minimum to replace many items. And be ready to wait 3-5 days for an HVAC Tech to come out if it fails in the summer. And you better have 3 years of "annual inspections" or you will get little to no reimbursement. READ ALL THE SMALL PRINT. You might break even if lucky but with lots of headache. Not recommended at all.

CoverageTechRefunds & Payouts

Reviewed June 27, 2024

I paid over $2000 for a home warranty with Select Home Warranty. My washer broke, they sent a tech out who tried to repair it. He came out several times and was not able to repair it due to parts no longer available. Select told me there was nothing they could do because the washer was too old and parts are no longer available. They said there was no value to it so I had to buy a new washing machine after 3 weeks of arguing with them about it. Then a year later my hvac broke and they said they would not replace it because it was a Freon issue and they don’t cover that. The motor also burned up and I have to pay out of pocket almost $7000 for a new hvac. This warranty is a joke and a waste of money.

Customer ServiceCoverageTechPunctuality & Speed

Reviewed June 25, 2024

Horrible service! I paid for a Platinum plan with additional options. When I called about a leak somewhere in my pool, without even a service visit I got an email saying it was determined that I had a leak in my equipment and I wasn't covered. The email then said "The next step would be to contact the technician assigned to complete the repair." but no information on who that was! Then it said "Should you have any questions please call 855-267-3532 prompt 5." Well there is no option to choose prompt 5! Okay, so I try to speak to a representative and there's a minimum 10 minute wait so I called later and the same message but I was given an option to keep my place in line and receive a call back. Well six hours later and no call back. The quality of service is shameful from no visit to wrong information to no return call!!!

Customer ServiceClaims HandlingSales & MarketingPrice

Reviewed June 25, 2024

Select Warranty is a scam. Don't be fooled by their ads. Our oven went out and the control panel was warped and hard to read. Plus the knobs popped off. They did not respond to our claim at first. Then told me they would not send out a serviceman and that I should hire my own but that I must get their approval before he could do any repairs. I filed my claim on May 17. After requesting more and more information, estimated cost of repair, diagnoses, and pictures, they denied my claim today June 25 - more than a month later. Again, don't waste your money or your time dealing with them. Their motto must be delay, delay, delay, then deny. I have filed previous claims and the response was equally completely unsatisfactory as well.

Coverage

Reviewed June 22, 2024

After speaking with the sales rep on the phone we decided to go with Select Home Warranty. The salesman promises the world only to have a lot of what they said to be more on the shady side. This is covered that is covered it can be replaced if broken. Only to find out it is not the whole truth. Buyer beware. A repair even has it limitations with this so-called warranty.

Customer ServiceSales & Marketing

Reviewed June 21, 2024

They refused to help me with a broken furnace and they refuse to help me with the broken microwave. Select Home Warranty it's a complete scam of fraud and corrupt. You can't understand the people on the phone and they give you the runaround. It is disgusting and appalling. They're so wicked.

Customer ServiceTechPunctuality & Speed

Reviewed June 21, 2024

Called to report a 5/20 Washer, Tech called and never showed up. Call #Warranty to let them know what happened. They reached out to Tech gave excuses rescheduled and the tech never showed. I called the warranty company again they wanted to contact the same company. I asked him for another company. They still did not refer me to another company and still gave me the same company I was willing to work with them and he still didn’t show up again! I called Select Home Warranty company again to let them know that the product was not fixed. The tech never came out. For the fourth time. Now it is three weeks later nothing has been done. The tech never showed up. The Warranty company was still saying the same thing to work with this company and they have no control over their service providers. They still didn’t give me another provider. They’re still wanted me to work with the same RC home maintenance company..

Customer service reps repeat the same information over and over again there’s somewhere in a foreign country. Now knows how to deal with real issues they are Following a script each time and repeating the same thing with no resolutions. This company has a rip off for $40 a month. Don’t waste your money go somewhere else. They don’t understand the process when a tech does not show up, they don’t have alternatives. They don’t know what to do. And there’s no results you just have no results. You just have a broken product and paying for nothing. Customer service rep says the same thing even the supervisors, no one is able to help you Properly. Everyone there Has the same script, absolutely terrible waste. Don’t waste your money. Find a home warranty company to work with.

Customer Service

Reviewed June 20, 2024

Would give a zero star if I could. Only stayed with this company 6 months. Had a minor repair and they were supposed to pay but didn’t. They have very bad customer service and they don’t do what they say.

Reviewed June 20, 2024

I have a Home Warranty of America plan. When I attempt to submit a claim on the phone I am left faced with automatic selections that do not have an option to contact a human. After several attempts the voice prompts became frustrating.

Claims HandlingCoverage

Reviewed June 20, 2024

I would leave zero stars if I could. Having SHW is like having no insurance at all. Every time I have a claim these guys find a way to slither out of it. Everyone I talk to is in India and I can barely understand them. Don't waste your money!

Customer ServiceClaims HandlingTechPriceRefunds & Payouts

Reviewed June 19, 2024

We purchased what we thought was an excellent home warranty for 5 years due to the great discount for multiple years. ($1655 for 5 yr). We had a claim for our refrigerator and we were told, "We will not replace it but give you $250 for a new one during the 2nd year of the warranty," we refused and bought a new refrigerator. The 3rd year this year our septic tank pump went out. After 48hrs Select sent a Contractor (nice guy but not a plumber) who is a licensed contractor for roofing not plumbing to come and take pictures of the septic pump. He came with his cellphone only with no tools or experience to remove the lid and pipes. He could not take the picture because he didn’t know how to remove the pipes to get to the pump.

Select did not contact us but we contacted them after 72hrs (the allotted time for a response from Select) just to be told that they are waiting for the pictures from the Contractor (Roofer) and he will come back to take pictures. We waited another 5 days and called Select about the matter in which they stated they are sending the vetted Contractor (Roofer) out again. We strongly refused and asked for a plumber to be sent out. Select strayed they are searching for a licensed technician. We called again the next day and Select is still searching for a licensed technician. We had a lengthy conversation and concluded we would cancel the contract since we were told that we would have to endure the same 5 day process for a new Contractor to come out. We were told by Select all the fees for the contract and there of course would be no refund of anything. The Customer Service Department went through all these discounts and so on to tell us they were the best warranty company in the business.

We did not have this kind of frustration and agony with American Home Shield Warranty Service who we used for many years. We work hard for our way of life and only want to be treated with respect and others to honor their contracts without these hidden or undisclosed terms, fees, processes. We are tired of the overpriced good and services with poor customer service and the quality rendered that is outsourced to people who can’t speak the English language clearly to understand what is being communicated to them and we as customers can’t understand what they are trying to communicate to us. We counted this contract as a loss and will not continue to pour money into these companies anymore. We are searching out the mom and pop businesses who still care about people and integrity.

I miss the days where companies cared about the integrity of the product, services and customer experience. I don’t mind paying for quality but I do mind companies who mislead customers in the terms, products and services offered pretending to offer something worthwhile while its total worth is worthless. May all of you who strive to achieve wealth and success by dishonest methods, standards and immoral practices not enjoy the gains you achieve.

Claims Handling

Reviewed June 19, 2024

Pathetic company policy and service. Don’t fall into their trap of “cheapest fee”.. with cheapest claim fee you get cheapest resolution. 1. For dishwasher fox they gave me 95$. With 65$ service fee that’s 30$??? 2. For Kitchenaid refrigerator fox they gave me 155$. So with 65$ service fee that's like getting 80$ for 5k$ fridge replacement??? How???

Tech

Reviewed June 18, 2024

I was lied to and they completely fraudulently misrepresented their terms. Stated can cancel at anytime and only terms of cancellation are days on plan minus $75.00 service fee. This was a lie. Can only cancel 30 days after purchase, and if any service fee is deducted. The service was horrific. Took about a month for a technician to come out. Worthy to not in this year alone there are over 1900 complaints filed by the better business bureau against Select Home Warranty. What I have learned for many their experience is select when something broke down they provided excuses to not fix the appliance. When I complained they stated the contract which is in direct opposition to what I was told by the salesperson in signing up. so anyone who complains is told the contract gives them permission to defraud the customer.

Customer ServiceRefunds & Payouts

Reviewed June 18, 2024

I had one issue which was my pool pump went out. They set me up with a company, but it would have been weeks before they could get the problem fixed. Weeks without a pump in the summer which also happened to be during my son's 5th birthday pool party would not work. Especially in Phoenix the pool would have turned green with algae by then.

I called the company that cleans my pool and they had the problem fixed within a couple days. Select Home Warranty refused to reimburse me anything for the pump. If you want to wait forever to get your A/C fixed in the summer, furnace in the winter etc., then maybe they might work for t you. The last home warranty I had at least offered to reimburse me for using another service if they could not do it in a timely manner. Not to mention customer service is extremely rude. Even when they called to try to get me to extend and I said no because I had a bad experience with them, they just hung up on me. Did not even ask me what happened or if there was anything they could do to make me stay. Clearly do not care about their customers.

TechSales & Marketing

Reviewed June 18, 2024

Biggest scam of a company. They don’t provide you with a technician that they are supposed to, they kept giving me a run around until I went ahead and got one myself, and after you get one and get the estimate approved by them, they tell you the serviced was not approved and they won’t pay. Please save your money and the hassle.

Reviewed June 17, 2024

A little part of My built in Wolf Microwave was broken, Select Home Warranty required me prove of replacement which is over 2k and send me a check of $95 instead of send someone to replace the part. Select Home warranty NEVER pay, this is my 3rd times making a claim and never get pay. They always have some ridiculous nonsense reason not to pay and people who answer the phone have super strong accent, I need them repeat many times in order for me to understand what they saying. I get stuck because I paid 7 year service in full. ***STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY***

Customer ServiceCoverageTech

Reviewed June 17, 2024

Stay far away from this company. They advertise as one of the best warranty in USA but it’s all fake. My hot water tank stopped working on 6/1/24. They told me they will send a technician out to look at it. A week go by and no one showed up then they told me I can go ahead and get my own technician. I called three company. They came out, give me an estimate. From $4100-4600 to replace both tanks. I sent them the estimate. And the end of the following day they send me email saying they will only cover $200.

Customer ServiceCoveragePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed June 17, 2024

I had a leak under my kitchen sink. I submitted a claim but it was on a Friday so it took until Monday to get a plumber out. They quickly saw the problem and left to get new washers. I received a call back from them saying Select would not cover their labor. I was left with open pipes and an unusable kitchen sink. I called Select and had to wait over 15 minutes to get a live person. She talked so fast and her English was not understandable. But I gleamed that they only cover the diagnosis and parts. Mind you I already paid the plumber $75. Now I have to pay $175 more just to be able to use my kitchen sink. What a rip off!! Would never recommend Select.

Profile pic of the author.

Reviewed June 16, 2024

After going through good reviews and recommendations, we opted for SELECT Home Warranty recently. However, it failed to deliver the expectations of timely response and attention for the AC repair Claim. It's almost 6+ weeks and we are still not getting proper resolution and ETA. Considering TEXAS heat, it is very difficult to manage during the hot summer days without AC. Being one of the largest Home warranty company SELECT is not able to get the part replacement and not able to provide timely updates.

Very disappointed and frustrated based on the current status and hoping that Sr leadership and Sales teams would be able to review this case on priority so as to expedite the resolution. Almost every other day we need to follow up and check the status of Claim since there is no update based on multiple follow up calls. I would not recommend this to other customers and also I would need to look for alternate options since it fails to deliver the expectations of a customer.

Claims HandlingTech

Reviewed June 15, 2024

I submit a claim on 5/21/24 about bathtub faucet broken. They sent a plumber with inactive CA License to me. I request a Licensed Plumber for safety reason. I didn't heard any information in a week. I had to call them, they said they will give me a response in 1-2 business day. Does that mean they don't have qualified plumber? Three weeks passed, my claim doesn't solved.

Customer ServiceClaims HandlingCoverageSales & Marketing

Reviewed June 14, 2024

This company is a scam and their plans are fraudulent. I paid for the top plan and when my air conditioning broke down, which was the capacitor and compressor which is covered in their plans. They keep denying coverage not to mention all calls, go to India. Not the United States. This company's Is bonkers and employees should be put in prison. My next step is to contact the Better Business Bureau and find out if they offer legal. So I can shoot them not only for the plan that I paid for but also.

Damages that have occurred due to living in Arizona. Where the temperature is now a 114° and the inside of my house is 101° and it's been that way for 30 days due to them denying my claim first, they asked for an estimate which I got them from a professional air conditioning company, then they denied that. I had to call back and then they ask for maintenance records which I gave them and they deny that this company is so disgusting. I am fed up and I wish this on no one. Do not use this company.

Customer ServiceClaims HandlingPunctuality & Speed

Reviewed June 14, 2024

Do not use. I did a great amount of research before choosing Select. Unfortunately, it seems they have stacked many false reviews that are misleading to their clients. I have multiple properties, all with their own Select Home Warranty profile. With each call I make across all property claims, they find reasons to dismiss my issues. My most recent issue is a claim from Feb that was approved for a $500 payment from Select. 5 months later, they kept escalating the case to get me the funds that were approved by them through the policy for the job completed and paid for. Your money is better spent somewhere else. Your time is even better spent on anything else. Do not take this path!

Price

Reviewed June 14, 2024

7-year-old refrigerator that originally cost $3500. They are only giving us $225 to replace the refrigerator or repair the ice maker. You have a $100 deductible and that is with their premium plan. So you pay $100 to the repair guy to find out the cost, you pay $50-100 to remove the fridge and they only give you $225. So at the end of the day you only get $25. If you read the fine print they only give you up to $500 to replace a lot of the appliances and that $500 depreciates for every year. But they don’t tell you that when you buy the plan. Even the repair guy said to avoid Select.

Claims HandlingTech

Reviewed June 13, 2024

Do not use this company. It's legal theft. They'll take your monthly fee but then when it's time to pay a claim, they don't pay. Everytime I tried to get a claim done thinking they'd change, same thing. Poor service. The technicians they send out are thieves too.

Customer ServiceClaims HandlingTech

Reviewed June 12, 2024

I have had Select for a few years now and every time I need to use my warranty it's like jumping through hoops. My air has been out since June 2nd, put in the claim on June 3rd, with no resolution,,, the technician came out on the 7th, went in the attic diagnosed and took pictures....do you know Select sent me an email asking for pictures. I said what pay the 75.00 Service Fee for if the the tech who dx it took pictures and did not send to them. I have called everyday 2- 3 times on some days, diff answer everytime. Bad Part About all this Is CONSUMERS are the ones Suffering when we need to get something done that we pay years and use but we have to it's a pain to get it done.

Claims Handling

Reviewed June 11, 2024

When I purchased the plan, I was told that all major appliances as well as the electrical and plumbing systems were covered. About 11 months after I purchased the plan, I filed a claim due to a crack in one of my drain pipes. The claim was denied.

Select Home Warranty Company Information