Find a Home Warranties partner

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

About Old Republic Home Protection

Old Republic Home Protection, formerly known as Dependable Home Warranty, offers one-year service contracts that cover home system and appliance repairs for the sellers and buyers of resale homes. The company offers multiple plans to fit every budget with optional add-ons available. Coverage is available in 27 states and Washington, D.C.

Find Home Warranties, Service Plans partners near you

Pros

• Customizable coverage
    • Educational resources
    • Clear pricing

Cons

• Not available in all states

Bottom Line

Old Republic Home Protection has easy-to-understand plans with transparent pricing. Its customizable coverage is convenient and flexible but only available in 27 states and Washington, D.C

Top Old Republic Home Protection Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

As a Realtor, I recommend this company to all my sellers and buyers. I maintain this warranty platinum edition on my personal home - renewing annually... I have saved $2700 in rep...

Verified

There are many home warranty companies in the marketplace and I highly recommend Old Republic for your home warranty company. They are easy to reach, quick in finding excellent se...

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

What is Old Republic Home Protection?

Old Republic Home Protection is a home warranty company that offers multiple plans and has a 24/7 service department that lets you make a claim when it's convenient for you.

Old Republic Home Protection offers service in 27 states and Washington, D.C., and its website has a map of the states it serves. Click on your state to view a brochure detailing Old Republic Home Protection’s coverage in your state in English and Spanish.

Old Republic Home Protection plans

Old Republic has three plans and numerous add-ons:

• Essential Coverage: This affordable plan from Old Republic Home Protection covers several major home systems (including heating, cooling, plumbing and electrical) and some appliances (excluding washer, dryer and kitchen refrigerator).
    • Standard Coverage: This plan from Old Republic Home Protection covers several major home systems (including heating, plumbing, and electrical) and most kitchen appliances (including dishwashers, trash compactors, kitchen exhaust fans, ranges, ovens, cooktops, built-in microwaves), as well as garage door openers and central vacuums. Air conditioning systems, washer, dryer, and kitchen refrigerator are included in Standard Coverage in some states.
    • Ultimate Protection: Ultimate Protection includes everything in the Standard Plan plus increased coverage for correcting code violations, haul away, permits, and more. It also includes enhanced system and appliance coverage.
    • Platinum Protection: Old Republic’s most comprehensive offering, the Platinum Protection plan, offers everything in the Standard and Ultimate plans and more, including higher limits and extended plumbing coverage.
    • Optional add-ons: You can customize your coverage with add-ons to take care of additional equipment, including your HVAC system, pool or roof.

Old Republic Home Protection’s contract term is usually 12 months, with 13-month and two-year plans available in some states. As of March 2021, Old Republic Home Protection provides home warranties during a real estate transaction — if interested, talk to your real estate agent.

Old Republic Home Protection coverage

Old Republic’s warranties cover the following home systems, appliances and specialty items.

Systems
    • Septic system
    • Well pump
    • Booster pump
    • Water softeners
    • Swimming pool and spa equipment
    • Solar hot water system
    • Solar pool/spa components
    • Free-standing ice maker
    • Standalone freezer

Old Republic cost

Old Republic Home Protection’s annual premiums start at $300 to $1,600 for condos and single-family homes up to 9,999 square feet and $400 to $1,900 for multiunit properties. Service fees range from $65 to $100 with an average of $75. We’ve broken down expected annual costs based on home type for Old Republic Home Protection plans in Texas below.

Home typeStandard CoverageUltimate CoveragePlatinum Coverage
    Condo/townhome/mobile home$355$465$695
    Single-family$405$510$615
    Duplex$600$750N/A
    Triplex$900$1,100N/A
    Fourplex$1,150$1,400N/A
    New construction$665$775N/A

Prices are current as of March 2021 and are subject to change. For more details, visit the Old Republic Home Protection website to see a map of where it operates. Click on your state to read a brochure that fully details plan coverage and costs.

Old Republic FAQ

Where is Old Republic available?
    Old Republic is available in Washington, D.C., and the following 27 states: Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington and Wyoming.
    Does Old Republic require a home inspection?
    No, you can get a home warranty from Old Republic without a home inspection.
    Can I cancel my Old Republic home warranty?
    Yes, you can cancel your Old Republic Home Protection home warranty. If you do, in most states you get a prorated refund, but you must also pay any service costs incurred and a processing fee.
    Does Old Republic have a service work guarantee?
    Yes. Old Republic guarantees service work for 30 days.

Is Old Republic worth it?

Old Republic Home Protection might be worth it if you’re buying or selling a home or looking for a home warranty to cover the systems and appliances in your current home. We like that the company has customizable coverage and educational resources on its website.

Old Republic Home Protection Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Old Republic Home Protection?

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

Our just purchased home developed a slab leak. I was super happy to find out that our realtor had included a home warrantee with our purchase. ORHP was quick to send out an in-network plumber but he did not wish to do the fix. I have a plumber that I've worked with before that has done good work so I asked and they approved him. I submitted the invoice June 21 and as of Oct 15, I'm still going back and forth (and every time I have to call it's 45-60 minutes on hold). Today I find out that they can't call the plumber to get the required verbal work report, the plumber has to call in on the same line that I call which means in order for me to get paid, the guy that's working his butt off 11 hours a day, 6 days a week has to take an hour on hold between 8-5 to submit a report so I can get paid. I wish I could give zero stars.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

If you are buying a new home and the seller offers this policy, ask for another carrier. The policy is worthless and if you have a claim, good luck getting the policy to cover the cost. I had a refrigerator problem. It was never fixed correctly and once the policy lapsed, Old Republic would not allow the service-provider to come back and fix properly. Instead, they wanted to argue with me about how I must understand that they have to run a business. What a scam!

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2021

Old Republic is the WORST company I have ever dealt with. Our A/C has been out since August 18th and I put in a service request that day. It is October 5th and we still have no A/C. When I call I get put on on hold for an hour. It took forever for them to decide what to do, then ordered a part. Part was shipped to service provider and it was the wrong part. It has been a month since that happened and they still have not sent the correct part. It is HOT in Alabama in August and September!! No A/C. I would never recommend this company and I will tell EVERY real estate agent I know to never recommend them again. Social media barrage is also about to commence. Unacceptable way to treat a customer. They also keep sending me emails trying to get me to renew. HAHAHAHA A HELL NO!!! Worst experience I have ever had with a company.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2021

My air-condition broke down almost one month. Old republic agent called me every week and gave me different information. First they told me AC has been ordered to wait at least 10 business day, then they called me stating the company who supposed to do the job. Their office closed and referred me to different company. Now they stating to contact York for warranty. York told me they don't have anything to do with it. This company is very bad and please do not buy warranty from them.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

This warranty was bundled in my home purchase, and so far it is demonstrating worthless value. My A/C went out during a heatwave shortly after moving in. While I have found warranties in the past from various sources so narrowly construed they are not worth the paper they are printed on. This is the case here. I called and was told:

1. There were no approved providers in my area.
      2. I would have to call an outside contractor with the first $500 preappoved.
      3. I would have to pay out of pocket and submit for reimbursement.

4. Even though I had to do step three anyway, I would have to get prior authorization for over $500.

All of this seems reasonable on the surface; however, it is not so simple. When something breaks, it is usually when you need it the most. Unfortunately, OHRP defines terms like customer service, timely manner in their own ways to justify a poor business model that is still leaning heavily on the pandemic (but only to their benefit) to deny claims.

My contractor came out, stated the A/C unit was beyond repair. I tried to get service on the phone to get authorization (while the contractor was there) and hung up after 20 minutes on hold. I called again and was told they needed to speak with the contractor. I asked if I could submit the work order by email and was told no. Flat out no information in writing. They would only accept verbal request. They would call the contractor and I could wait. I couldn’t wait for health reasons. I needed the repair done.

Since I was told I had to pay an outside contractor upfront irregardless of approvals, I had the work done and submitted my paperwork. Mind you, this company does nothing in writing (because they say it is all in the contract). They do not provide any claim forms detailing the info they need. This gives their agents a reason to be condescending if you actually get one. And they feel perfectly comfortable with their wait times (which could actually be avoided with better web services, but you know, pandemic). Have I gotten reimbursed at any level? No. Would I ever buy a warranty myself? No, and if you are going to, find a better company than this.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

We recently bought our home in Arizona, the 4 ton AC stopped working right away. We contacted Old Republic, after waiting on line for 40 minutes they sent out a repair service. The ac has had 4 or 5 problems, each time they charge us to come out. Repair service told us that the unit needed replacement not a "bandaid", each time the ac quit working just hours after the repair. The last repair was $6,000 and still no working AC. It has been 3 months without AC and we live in the Arizona desert. This is unacceptable! AC company recommended replacement but Old Republic prefers to fix 1 issue at a time, costing us hundreds of dollars in service calls. And the customer service is rude and sarcastic. Would not recommend Old Republic for home warranty service.

Original review: July 23, 2021

I called ORHP to report A/C problem. THEY SENT AN A/C guy who fixed something but it broke again that night. He recommended an electrician. The electrician replaced a circuit breaker. A/C broke again that night. I tried calling Old Republic Home Protection but no one would answer the phone. I called the A/C guy directly but I think ORHP should be better at customer service. After all that is their only service. They don’t actually fix your problems they just call someone else. Answering the phone is their primary responsibility. That is why I gave them a poor rating.

Original review: July 13, 2021

Our issue with our home began on June 17th. I put in the work order online, which was simple to do. We were contacted by OR about the issue and a plumber was dispatched to our home. After it was determined that this was an emergency, I contacted OR to make this a priority, meaning the plumber would come out in 24 hours instead of 5 days. OR neglected to send the paperwork right then, but the plumber was able to come out late, on a Friday. After the diagnosis, we still waited almost a week to find out what would be done. They needed us to approve our out of pocket costs, which I did the next day. However, they neglected to give this information to the plumber, so I had to call OR again to have them submit it, so we could get on the schedule for repair.

After waiting 2 more weeks, the plumber has arrived and in the process told us that they don't fix any sheetrock damage that has to be done. I called OR and the young lady I talked to was very rude. I needed to know if we would incur anymore out of pocket costs for that and who would be fixing it. Mind you, I don't know what to do about that, which is why I called. Her response was 'whoever you want to fix it.' Without going word for word into the conversation, she answered my question, all while overtalking me and hanging up in my face after. For these reasons, we will NOT use OR for our home warranty anymore.

Original review: June 30, 2021

Poor customer service. Every time you call, you get different answers to your questions. They would rather put a bandage on a problem with your components, charge you trade fees each call and it never gets fixed properly. I should have cancelled a long time ago. Don’t live and learn like I did. Save your monthly premium and pay to get things fixed properly!

Original review: June 29, 2021

Don't. Just don't! This is a huge waste of money. Takes hours to get them to answer to place a service call or for any reason that you need to contact them. Once you give all of the details to the person who answers, they then transfer you to another person and you have to repeat everything just to open a service call. Their online portal makes you think you can place requests there but after you enter all of the data it directs you to call anyway.

Let me give you some examples. They cover NOTHING that is pre-exisiting. 2 faucets went bad in the home I just purchased. The approved faucets used were cheap (not real chrome) quality and they would not even allow the plumber to replace the drain that came with the faucet in the same box. I am left with chrome fake faucets and bronze drains. A thermostat went bad on HVAC. They do not give you back the same high quality all digital model. Everything is replaced with low cost basic contractor grade. My realtor praised this company. What a joke. Must have been some kind of kickback.

Take a Home Warranty Quiz. Get matched with an Authorized Partner.

Old Republic Home Protection Company Information