1.40/5
Based on 69 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a home warranty company?

636 Old Republic Home Protection Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 21, 2018

Worst warranty company ever!! This is mine and my husband first home and the since we moved in the AC has been broken. So we called this worthless company. They send someone out they say it's the compressor. So 2 weeks later they get the part in and "fix" the AC. Well it wasn't cooling my house at all! So I call them again they send someone out again. He says it's running fine. We gotta give it time to get all the humidity out of the house before it cools... so I said, "Alright. How long?" He said a week to a week and a half. Well time went by and still wasn't working!

Called again and they say we will get you second opinion and since it was going on for a month we were a priority... Haha don't ever think priority for this company means **! We didn't get picked up until 4 days later than were contacted for another 3 days then I had to call him and tell him he needed to come because this was ridiculous! Well he comes tells us what is wrong.

Well it was another 2 weeks before I got annoyed and called this piece of crap warranty company to see what was happening and they say no one has given them the report. I flip ** and they say they will call me as soon as they find out what is going on. Guess what! They didn't call us back. Surprised not me! So I gave it 3 days and then called them. They tell me they wont do anything till we say we will pay 475 dollars to replace secondary damage!!!

By now this has been going on for 2 months! I have told them from the beginning this was not working. But due to their ignorance and not doing their job this is damaged and apparently that isn't their problem. So we are trying to understand why we have to pay for this right. Then she says, "Wait this happened because of the part that we fixed broke again? Well than we can't cover this at all." It was an improper repair so it isn't their problem anymore. How is that possible?? We didn't pick the morons who installed that part wrong??? You did! And let this go on so long that it a bigger problem now! But yeah you guys mess up and want nothing to do with it! Worst company ever! If you want to just be run around with ** and be told they ain't covering it then this is the company for you!

Original review: July 12, 2018

Called the company on Saturday, July 7, to tell them my a/c unit was not working. They said they would send out a technician on Monday to fix it. (It was 107° that weekend. Temps varying in Las Vegas from 105°-108° this week.) The technician arrived, spent about twenty minutes, and came back to tell me my a/c was broken and needed a new compressor. We had to call Old Republic, because the tech was "new" and didn't know to call in.

Old Republic told us they needed to order the part (?) and get it to the a/c company to install. It is now Thursday, SIX DAYS after the a/c broke, and still no appointment for repair in sight. It has been in the high 100s° all week. My family and pets are suffering. We already had to buy a $400 portable a/c unit and take the pets to a pet hotel. Already costing us $700+, for a job that could have, and should have been fixed in one day. Absolutely ridiculous. After this is resolved, I'm switching companies and never using this trash again!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: July 6, 2018

I cannot say enough terrible things about this company. The only shower in my home was stopped up and I called them to send a technician out. 4 days later I had not heard from the technician and decided to call them on my own. The number they gave me did not work, so I looked up the company online (no reviews on Facebook, Yelp, etc) on my own and called to leave a voicemail. 3 days later I heard from them to schedule an appointment for a week later. Like I said- the only shower in my house wouldn't drain and I couldn't wait another week. They said if I called my own contractor I could call when they had a quote and be told the reimbursement. I did that, had a plumber at my house same day - they said they would only reimburse $150 of the $320 bill. But I needed the work done and accepted. Fast-forward to my check in the mail - for only $75.

I have been arguing with them for days on the phone with call backs just to have them tell me that the woman on the call should have told me the $75 trade call fee would be taken from the $150. They admitted fault but said verbatim "You are not going to get another $75 from Old Republic." Absolutely terrible customer service & a pack of liars. They look at the facts, know they are in the wrong and do not care about their paying customers. Their contractors are also very obviously bottom level unknown probably one-man companies. Look at the customer review ratings, terrible. You are better off not having any home insurance than having Old Republic.

Original review: July 3, 2018

First off, I want preface this by saying I NEVER write online reviews. This is literally the first online review I have written, and I am 31 years old and spend a lot of time on computers. However, I feel it is very important that people do not use this company and so here I am. My wife and I are first time homeowners, and when picking a home warranty, we referred to our real estate agent. She gave us a list of 10 warranties, and to our misfortune, we picked the standard plan from Old Republic Home Warranty without first checking the reviews.

About 2 months after buying our house, our AC breaks down. Instantly, we call Old Republic to get this fixed. They send a tech out (which costs 75 dollars), and the tech gives us a quote for 1300 to repair the evaporator coil. We ask for Old Republic to cover the cost. However, they state that because this unit is under warranty (PARTS ONLY), they will not cover a dime. I argue that they should cover labor.

They point out the fine print that they don't have to cover anything if an item is under warranty. What this effectively means is that NOTHING in our home is covered, as our house is less than 5 years old and every appliance is under warranty. We then went and got a second opinion on the fix. The hilarious thing is the next company we had come out did not require a service fee, and also quoted a price 250 less than the first one. So if we just hadn't bought the home warranty, we would have saved 75 dollars from the service fee! So our home warranty actually ended up costing us MORE to have while also not paying a dime for our services.

Luckily for us, we had an inspector warranty on our home through residential warranty services. They worked with us and paid 500 from what our final cost was (1100). The 500 was the max that their plan covered. Though the situation didn't end up being ideal, I am thankful that we had the AC go out when it did. If it had happened a month later, we would have been stuck paying full cost.

The other thing that I'd like to do is explain how to cancel service with Old Republic Home Warranty. There is literally nothing online on how to do this. If you call to cancel, they send you to an automated voice (apparently if you're planning to stop using them they won't even talk to you) that tells you how to cancel. So the list is below. 1) You must send a written email (no other way to cancel than email) to cancellation@orhp.com. 2) The email must have your name, plan number, property address, reason for leaving, and refund address. 3) They will then call you back later to try to 'retain' your business. Don't be a fool. Cancel your service. 4) You will get a refund that is pro-rated with a 50 dollar 'service fee'. We both know the fee is just one last kick in the balls. I wish anyone who uses this company luck in canceling their service. Run far, far away!

Original review: June 26, 2018 We have several properties with Old Republic Home Warranty and removing all and going with Choice Home Warranty. We have experience crap service. They say they cover certain items, but believe me if there is any way for this company not to pay and require the homeowner to pay they will. We have waited over a month for service after approved. No one from their vendors or Old Republic reps keep you up to date. If you don't call them, don't expect them to all you.

We had an ice maker their vendor not only assaulted me verbally for being upset about how long it took them to repair the ice maker, they damaged the line and made us pay and additional $100 service call which Old Republic had no choice, but to credit the fee back.

The ice maker took 45 days to be fixed. A/C issue - took 3 weeks and the system broke again a week later. Plumbers won't snake the line if access is on the roof and wanted to charge me $650 to add access line in the bathroom. This list goes on and on... After one year with them, their unsatisfactory customer service, poor vendors and workmanship and all the unnecessary hassles of feeling like their vendors just want more money... We are running for the hills. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND FIND ANOTHER HOME WARRANTY COMPANY!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Old Republic Home Protection?

Original review: June 21, 2018

We bought our home almost a year ago with a home warranty from Old Republic. We have had issues with our heat pump and air handler. We called Old Republic and their service guys couldn't fix it and we still got to pay their price. After several service calls from other heat and air people and 5 different fixes, we finally were advised to buy a new unit. None of this was covered since we didn't use their guys. I have written them a letter with copies of all the repairs and the new unit and am waiting to hear back.

Original review: June 20, 2018

I wish I had read previous reviews before I renewed my policy. Seller provided policy for our first year, and we actually used it twice, service was good. $600 was pretty steep, but we opted to renew because we have an older home. Called yesterday for broken AC. I was told I would receive a call from “local” service provided by next business day. The company that called today is based in NC, and the first available appointment was 6 days out. I should preface this by saying that it is 100 degrees in SC... And their response was “sorry, that’s all we have.” I should also point out that the person that called could not have cared less.

I called warranty company back, and they basically said “it’s summer and it’s busy”. Funny that I was able to find a local service provider on my own that came out TODAY, and total repair was less than the $100 that I would have had to pay ORHP service provider. ORHP also told me they would of course not cover expense because I went out of network. Bottom line: Save your money, definitely not the “premier service experience” that they promise.

Original review: June 15, 2018

This policy came with the house I bought 2 1/2 years ago. Being concerned specifically about the air conditioner unit, which never sounded quite right to me, I renewed the policy with the platinum A/C protection. I read the policy carefully. All parts of the A/C are covered even if they need to be replaced. The time came that the blower motor needed to be replaced. Sorry, not covered. It is under Maytag's manufacturer warranty. I have placed about 7 calls over the last 2 1/2 years. It typically takes 3-7 days to get someone to come out and look at the issue. They charge you $75 and tell you it is not covered - whether they actually do anything for you or not, they charge you $75. Faucets - not covered. Bathtub - not covered. Dishwasher - covered, but not really in this case. A/C - even with the added A/C coverage - not covered. This policy is useless. The only thing this company does well is take my money!!

Original review: June 11, 2018

I have an active service request for a malfunctioning range which was opened a month ago. This unit was serviced and the oven ignitor was replaced enabling the oven to turn on, but the problem persisted in that the oven would not stay on. The technician who originally worked on the unit said that if there continued to be problems that the control board would be the next to be replaced. I called to initiate that service request and the part was supposed to be put on order on 5/21/18.

Then, apparently, a week later it was decided by someone at ORHP that the work was no longer authorized because there was a manufacturer’s warranty active. Two points: 1. I spoke to Kenmore today and they have no record of a warranty on this unit or at my address. Whoever determined that there was a warranty is very much mistaken. 2. They claimed that the 100$ deductible for service was not refundable even though it was them who decided after the fact that my unit wasn't covered when they already had a service ticket in process which was partially but not entirely resolved. This 100$ was a per issue fee and they have decided that it is appropriate to keep this fee even though they also decided not to fix the issue. True to form they behave like an insurance company and I will need to fight to be made whole.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I received a "free" home warranty with ultimate protection and air conditioner coverage. What a joke! This company doesn't do anything except charge you $65.00 to send a technician out and then tell you whatever you've called about isn't covered. I am 0-4 with trying to get repairs covered under their plan. It's a complete racket and a waste of time and money.

Original review: June 8, 2018

We purchased our home about a year ago and received a seller purchased warranty. About two weeks ago we put in a service call for one of the two HVAC systems in the house. The local company technician arrived midday the following day and promptly diagnosed significant problems with the system. He put the initial call into Old Republic and by the end of the day we had a commitment for not a repair but a completely new system. The only cost to us were environmental disposal fees and the replacement of some prior work that had not been done to code. The representatives with whom we spoke at Old Republic were always professional and helpful. Our new system has been timely installed as promised and we could not be more pleased with the service. Coincidentally our renewal notice arrived this month as well and we will be staying with Old Republic. After this experience, we would highly recommend them.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Bought a house that came with an Old Republic Home Protection warranty. The same month that we were about to renew, we had an issue with our oven where it wouldn't heat at all. The stovetop worked, but the oven would not. Called ORHP to get a repair, was informed that it would be a $65 service fee payable to the technician that came out, and was told the company name that would be calling me to schedule a repair date. All of that went easy and professional. A few days later, the local repair company (Battle Born Heating and Cooling) contacted me about a service date... unfortunately it would be another week-and-a-half before they could get to me.

I figured we could go two weeks without an oven, so I made the appointment. Fast forward to our appointment and then a very nice technician spends about an hour on the oven and cannot precisely give me a reason for its failure because there is no wiring diagram on the oven. Not his fault, nor either of the companies. He would need to do some research and get back to me in the next week. TWO-AND-A-HALF WEEKS later, the company finally calls to schedule me an appointment to repair a faulty gas valve... and THIS appointment wouldn't be for another week. The technicians show up, make the repair, call it good and leave. A couple nights later night my wife was using the oven and when she went to take the food out she almost passed out from the combination of gas and heat that billowed from inside the oven.

It was a Sunday, so nobody was there to answer at Battle Born Heating and Cooling, so I called ORHP to get another company to do the repair, but I was told that since the first company started it, that is who needs to complete it. I complained that they take weeks, not hours or days to schedule an appointment, and was told by ORHP that there wasn't anything they can do about it. As of this writing, it will have been over a month-and-a-half that we have not had a workable oven, and it still is not fixed. ORHP customer service was decent, but their policies and the companies they choose to utilize in the Reno area leaves a lot to be desired. Our ORHP warranty ran out just the other day, but I will not be getting another home warranty with ORHP.

Original review: May 19, 2018

We have held onto Old Republic coverage anticipating the day our pool equipment would finally break. Well, old age & wear and tear hit and lo and behold, Old Republic sent out a "technician" who couldn't even be bothered looking into our equipment far enough to see what the problem was. He gave a bogus cause and left. We called Old Republic and asked for another technician to be sent out which they refused. Needless to say, when you finally need a $2500 piece of equipment replaced, Old Republic refuses to honor their warranty. They just lost a customer who has faithfully spent over $1,200/year for 5 years in coverage fees as we won't renew our contract with them next month. Shame on you, Old Republic.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I've been with ORHP for the last 5 years. They were 5 star 5 years ago. Seems they've went down a star for each year I've been with them. Last 2 times I called they didn't have anyone for that in my area. "You can contract someone and we'll pay what we think they should charge." NAH. I'm done! I wouldn't suggest using ORHP to anyone.

Original review: May 14, 2018

Dishonest, deceptive and don't care about the fact when comes to a large cost, they blame the customer and says, this is sequential and not covered by warranty. I talked to an agent who believes that I am a liar. Their service provider came to my property twice. First time they came and broke something and didn't tell me. When I found that out, I called them, they came and told this Old Republic that it's broken whereas they broke it at the first time. I told the agent that they came to my property twice and first time broke it, and the agent said they file shows they only came once. I still have two invoices/notes with two different dates from the service provider. He didn't believe. Then I asked him if I can talk to his supervisor. He said sure, the supervisor will give me a call. Nobody called me. Then I called them again. Talked to another person, wasted another 30 minutes, and no results. So poor service, don't recommend anyone to use this company.

Original review: May 14, 2018

This home warranty was provided when I purchased my house. The day after closing we moved in and found that the toilet leaked so I called just to be told that they would not cover it because we hadn't occupied the dwelling over 24 hours. 1 month later I called because the outside electric wasn't working. They said they wouldn't cover it. I screamed and yelled and threatened to sue them if my house burnt down. They sent someone out! 6 months later I called... today... And told them that the water spigot outside developed a leak and wouldn't stop running and they told me that they wouldn't cover it because it was outside. PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY. HORRIBLE.

I asked about canceling the contract. They told me it would be a 50.00 cancellation fee. And transferred me to a recording that told you the steps to take and then they would see if they could resolve the issue! Is my faucet supposed to run continuously until they "see if they can resolve the issue". BAD JUJU. Hope they go out of business. Treat people bad and be dishonest... KARMA... BAD BUSINESS.

Original review: May 11, 2018

They don't follow up with trade calls, they don't care about their clients. Most importantly, they RIP PEOPLE OFF. They take money for an estimate that would have been free. Stay clear of this company of all costs.

Original review: May 1, 2018

As a real estate agent I have referred many to ORHP over the years and have personally used them for my properties. However, it appears that the level of Edwin, **, a customer service representative is one that doesn't seem to match the ORHP that I know. He was short, impatient and became smart with me when I did not accept his answers today. Perhaps he needs to be retrained and moved to a back office department where he has no customer contact. I hope ORHP will look into his representation of the company and make a change. A company's reputation offline and online is very important to its growth. Buyers beware. This goes for all Home Warranty companies.

Original review: April 20, 2018

Got a homeowner’s warranty with this company when I bought my house, and ended up having a couple of claims. Each time, they treated me like a criminal, apparently believing that if they got a claim, the customer must be perpetrating some kind of fraud against them. The service levels were truly horrible, the process was painful, and as far as I can tell, their principal strategy is to collect the premium and then make it so terribly unpleasant to make a claim, that if you do it once you'll never do it again. Avoid this nightmare at all costs!!!

Original review: April 19, 2018

I had encountered a problem when ORHP denied a repaired on a covered air conditioner. I asked them to reconsider. They sent a second service provider. ORHP agreed to the repair after the second provider explained the problem to them. I am pleased they were objective and willing to listen. I would continue to recommend them.

Original review: April 18, 2018

We made one claim with Old Republic, and after our one and only year with them, they said they would not renew our policy, they gave no reason. One must wonder if it's because we had a claim, nothing else makes sense. We bought a house built in 1928, most things had been updated, but the AC units looked old so my realtor advised us to get a home warranty plan, realtor picked Old republic, not us. So when the AC unit, they paid out approximately, $3,600, new unit was about 14,000, so I think they got off pretty easy as is. But to give no reason, just not renew, what else could it be but the claim we made?

Original review: April 13, 2018

A home warranty plan was included with our home purchase. We bought up to include some items not covered by the basic plan. In July, when the temps were hovering around 105 degrees, Old Republic could not get a technician over for 10 days. TEN DAYS at 105 degrees? I don’t think so... I cancelled the appointment and we had it fixed the old fashioned way, we paid a professional technician what he was worth.

Recently, in fact the day before cooking a big family meal, our dishwasher stopped working and our range was having intermittent problems. A week later a technician could finally fit us in - miracle of miracles, he was the same technician who was scheduled to fix our A/C last year. I feel like they only have one tech, who is a jack of all trades. Two weeks passed and I called the tech to see what the status was. He had found the parts for the dishwasher but was having trouble with the range. He wouldn’t return until he had all the parts cause he didn’t want to make two trips... Several more days passed before ORHW called me to get some identifying information so they could order the parts which should come in within 24 hours. The next morning, they sent me an email stating the parts would be in 10-14 days from now. We won’t be renewing this policy.

Original review: April 12, 2018

Just called to order a new plan on my duplex. I have 4 policies with Old Republic and my husband is a realtor - I reached someone and when I said he was a realtor, the girl transferred me to another department... recording said wait 2 min., then 3 min., then 5min, etc. etc. I was on hold for 13 minutes. So... called back and the girl said to just hold a minute... well, I waited another 10 minutes and she came back on the line and was not friendly. I asked if there was a problem - she didn't answer but asked me what property I wanted to insure. I told her it was for a rental property and she said, "Can you hold a minute..." At this point, I said, "NO I WILL NOT HOLD AGAIN AND I WOULD PUT MY REVIEW ONLINE RIGHT NOW."

Original review: April 11, 2018

I dealt with Old Republic Home Warranty for my upstairs AC. It took a little bit to get the parts but it was wonderful. Monique out of the California office was tremendous. I would definitely recommend Old Republic.

Original review: April 3, 2018

For months we had been getting sick as a result from the air quality in our recently purchased home, hospital visits and urgent care visits. After having everything and anything outdated in the home that could have been the cause we narrowed it down to our 30 year old system, when we opened it the portion where the air was passing through was warped, destroyed by water damage, rotting, and rusting to the point where it is unusable. The minute we saw the conditions of it we shut of the electric to it. Good thing we had purchased the Ultimate Platinum Warranty... I couldn’t have been more disappointed with any service I have ever purchased.

The contractor they hired basically told me it had to be replaced, he sent pictures and a report to Old Republic - they said because it was not anything mechanical they couldn’t do anything about it. They told me to stop calling every time there’s something wrong with my unit - literally (I only called once. The second was a recall to the first service). I offered to send them my own pictures to make my case and they denied it. I don’t see how their own contractor recommended the homeowner to replace the unit and the warranty company would deny the advice of the same contractor they hired to repair it. Do not buy this warranty, I wish I’d read the reviews prior too, what I can see is more people have been dealt the same card. I wish I’d saved my $590 to use it towards the replacement of my unit. I will not be renewing my warranty and I’m happy I found this out the 1st year and not years from now.

Original review: March 28, 2018

We just bought a house with a 1-year home warranty. We had a faucet handle in a tub and a spray hose fitting in the kitchen break off (internal parts). The company refused to fix it saying that they were mishandled or broken before - which they don’t cover. I’d just like to know how a homeowner is supposed to know what’s broken beneath the surface when the warranty company seems to know all. The plumber they sent was many hours late and didn’t have time to fix the issues. And then we went for 2 weeks waiting for them “to get the parts”- only to be told finally that the plumber had deemed the damage to be due to mishandling. Don’t count on having any major repairs fixed with this company.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I find that the majority of the coverage is just really basic appliance coverage which is at the discretion of the company called out. We have placed 2 calls and neither covered due to the company deciding that the age of the appliance must have created a pre-existing condition. Upon renewal, Old Republic increased from $50 to $75 and the coverage appears to have gotten more stringent. We didn't renew yet they will constantly call and tell us we are eligible for review. We have sent emails to them asking to be taken off their call list however it still continues today.

Original review: March 19, 2018

They refused to pay for the price of the repairs to my heating unit. They paid a ridiculously low amount that wouldn’t even cover the amount of the parts let alone the labor involved in the repair. I researched the parts myself and they lowballed the parts and labor involved in the repair by an incredible amount. The labor and parts cost $650 and they covered $175. That’s complete horse crap. I hope they lose their business.

Original review: March 19, 2018

I have now dealt with this company for 2 years and it is always the same thing. Preexisting or the sellers must have done it and they don't cover anything done by another person to ANYTHING because they must have done it wrong. Did you know they also don't cover anything done by pets & pests and people and pre-existing. If you bought a home lived in before, don't get this warranty. It means absolutely nothing to them. Before you buy a home for one, get a really great home inspector. It may cost a bit but I guarantee you will be making the best decision for your long-term happiness. And if your realtor tells you that they got you a home warranty, say, "No thanks" and take the seller's money used out of my cost. This warranty will give you nothing but frustration and if you write them a bad review, you will start getting harassing phone calls like I did from a Ms ** from corporate whose message sounded like she was about to tear into me.

I'd love to play it for you since she left it on my answering machine. No illegalities about that. Think of a way I can post a voicemail and I'll do it. Home warranties are made for Real Estate agents to con you into a false feeling of security and you buy into it until your first repair. Mine happened the second week I lived in my house. Now they wished they didn't fix because they were defrauded to "on good faith". This was a good house. It was and is not so they have not fixed anything at all this year so my contract is up and they are gone. I will never fall for that line of nonsense again. Remembers, buyers agents get paid by seller, not you. I'm finding their loyalty questionable. Be careful!!

Original review: March 16, 2018

Want to give some advice to folks so they can learn from our experience. Our refrigerator went out and service call put in 2/12. As of today, we still don't have a refrigerator. I posted on their Facebook page and I got put in touch with a specific person, which I thought would help. But after repeated visits by a tech, swapping out part after part, Old Republic finally decided to go for replacement.

Except they're claiming that all the repair costs to this point are deducted from the coverage limits, and lower the amount they'll pay for replacement. (No option was given for them providing a replacement either). The offer they made is about a thousand dollars less than the cost of equivalent appliance, so now over a month after putting in the call, we have no fridge and not enough month to buy a replacement. At no point were we given an option for replacement, they wanted to go forward with the repairs or give us money to have repairs done ourselves. So take that experience as what you can expect if you decide to get service through ORHP.

Old Republic Home Protection expert review by Michele Lerner

Old Republic Home Protection has been in business for more than 40 years. Founded in 1974 as Dependable Home Warranty, which provided services only in California, the company joined Old Republic International in 1982 and has been expanding the number of states it serves annually.

• Enhanced coverage: Unlike most home warranty companies, Old Republic covers repairs or replacements even if the problem is due to lack of maintenance, rust or an unknown pre-existing condition.

• Customer satisfaction: Old Republic conducts weekly random surveys of their customers to provide an additional check on their service providers.

• High coverage limits: Old Republic covers the repair or replacement of most items up to $1000 to $1500 per year; kitchen refrigerators are covered up to $2500.

• Delayed coverage: While the warranty program goes into effect immediately if it’s purchased during a real estate transaction, the coverage is delayed for 30 days after payment if a homeowner purchases it.

• Cancellation fee: While there’s no penalty for cancelling within the first 20 days, after that, customers will pay a 10% penalty in some states.

• Best for: home sellers, first-time homebuyers and real estate agents.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
    Michele Lerner

Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

Old Republic Home Protection Company Information