Old Republic Home Protection

Compare Home Warranties, Service Plans

Research top Home Warranties, Service Plans recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Knowing I was purchasing an older home I knew I wanted a complete home warranty so I had my realtor add one with all options for a cost of $1150.00. I made the bad assumption that spending that much would provide decent service, boy was I wrong. So my air conditioner stop working. I call Old Republic. They take info and tell me their repairman will contact me, so I wait. No contact from their repairman so I call them, no answer. I leave a message.

The next day I call Old Republic again and explain that no one has called. She responds with it's only been one day and that she is not in control of when the repairman calls me. I inform her that I live in Arizona and the temperature outside is 98 which means it's well over a hundred inside my home and I need someone out. She responds with "sorry not my problem. The repairman will be there when they get there". I could not believe my ears and immediately asked to speak to a manager who also had the exact same thing to say and no concern that it's over a hundred in my home. So another day and night of no A/C.

The next day the repairman calls and says he will be out later in the afternoon, so I cancel my plans to wait for him. 5 hours later he calls and says his van broke down and he won't be able to make it today or tomorrow because he isn't sure when he can get his van fixed and that I should call and get a new repairman. **! So I call Old Republic again and they say "we can give you a new repairman but you will go to the bottom of the wait list". I explain their repairman's van broke down and he can't come out. It's not me wanting a different repairman. I just want air! So once again she says "not my problem".

So this whole time this is suppose to be a "priority call" but that's bull. No faster than any other call. You are at their mercy to get out whenever they feel like it. So I get a new repairman, no call from him after waiting awhile so I call him and get voicemail. 4 days now and I'm still without A/C in Arizona. Do not use this company. They have horrible customer service!!!

On 02/16/2017 my plumbing was having issues without getting too personal. "It" spilled over and need attention right away. Recently purchasing my home, the prior owner purchase a home warranty with ORHP. I called to speak to Salan at ORHP on 02/17/2017. She told me that she was going to send out a request for plumbers to call me back. Being that it was a weekend it might be a little longer for them to get back to me.

I called back a couple of hrs since we didn't have working bathroom and sinks. She told me then I could get my own plumber but any work needed to be authorized. She also told me that they needed to do certain things first, ex. snake it out, hydrojet. I told her I was not a plumber but would make sure they talk to them first. We got a plumber to come out we talk to Salan once again. At this point I was thinking how could I keep getting the same person with the same bad attitude, which now after talking to others reps from this company I think it is a requirement.

I submit my receipt right away as of 03/16/0/17, had not heard anything from ORHP. I spoke to Tina today and she said that I had never called. When I told her that I not only called I wrote down the name of the person I spoke to but I had my phone records to provide I called she found the notes. All the calls that I called except the authorization info. When I ask to speak to a supervisor she told me my claim was denied as of today and there was nothing anyone can do. I ask to speak to supervisor anyways and she told me that they would have to call me back. I called again and spoke to Dorena and the same thing. I think this company is a fraud and they have a script to deny. How is it that I called in today and the claim was just denied today.

I would give the company less than one star if I could for the following reasons: I had coverage with ORHP for 7 years so essentially I paid around $5,600 total for coverage and this last year I've had a number of service calls that needed to be completed a total of 5 service calls. I paid $75.00 for each service call but found that 4 our of 5 they did not have a contractor to do the repairs. So what ORHP does is requests you to find a contact with a $100.00 limit on repair or a prior authorization is required and payment for the service is not guaranteed. You pay for the entire service out of pocket and then hope you get reimbursement.

I have a problem with this as it is ORHP responsibility to find a contractor and pay the difference of the copay, that is part of the purpose of the warranty. To put such a restriction the amount allowed to repaired and the entire process when placing this burden on me only additionally causes my tenants to have to wait a longer period of time to get something repaired. So they canceled my renewal for coverage this year so essentially you got my money and now are bailing out from further coverage. This show a real lack of integrity which would explain ORHP has 1.6 star of 5 rating. I wish I had done more research on this company as I never would have picked them because of the lack of integrity.

I had a gas pipe fail at a newly bought home about 2 weeks after purchasing my home. The sellers had signed up with Old Republic to be my 1-year home warranty. Having no experience with dealing with this home warranty company before, I searched their website and saw that gas line failures was a featured part of the warranty. I was even signed up for the "preferred ultimate protection" plan so I thought it all looked great. From looking at the website they seemed legit and all about taking care of its customers and getting things fixed like a home warranty company should. It came complete with testimonials telling how great others experiences were when needing a claim and how Old Republic understands that things will go wrong and they will fix it. I almost started to believe it myself.

From the moment they answered my call I spoke to what seemed like a "disqualifying agent" who listens to your claim and expertly looks for every niche, loophole and clause to separate Old Republic from every part of my problem and end the call as soon as possible. Every sentence was an attempt to close the claim and end it there. I believe that's how one gets the job there. They even have 3 more loopholes in waiting for you in case you prove them wrong and break out of one. It will be one "unfortunately we can't do that because of..." after another. I've never dealt with a company who gives such a consistent onslaught of "unfortunately we can't do that," than this company.

They ultimately told me they wouldn't fix my gas pipe because it was leading from the house to my detached garage 10 feet away to feed the dryer. They told me that it has to be "within the foundation of the home and not outside." I told them that the entire place is my home and therefore it's under the "home warranty." They just kept at it with the "unfortunately we can't..." talk until you finally get sick of hearing it. If you like this type of reasoning they spit at you, then by all means sign yourself up and try it yourself.

I am an honorably discharged Marine Infantry OIF Veteran who is happy to have finally purchased my first home after years of saving. I guess I was naive to have thought a home warranty company purchased for me called Old Republic was going to be stand up and reputable. They're just another "we can't do it" company.

This company stinks. 1) The result of a failed system is not what is best, but what is cheapest. My guess is they keep customers this way because you know their solution will fail sooner rather than later. 2) Their communication is sub par at best -- they do not explain the process when they actually agree to cover an expense. I receive a call that a washing machine is being delivered. Will they hook it up? No. Will they bring to the top floor where the washing machine is? No. Will they dispose of the old/non-repairable machine? No.

I call Old Republic again (this is my 10th call -- that is how bad their customer service is). "Oh, we send someone else out to install it." When will I hear from them? "7-10 business days." I was never told it was a 2 step process, that I would need to dispose of the old machine -- that would have been too customer friendly. 3) 6 weeks to have them authorized a new washing machine and that was only after I raised a stinking fit about how long it was taking. Advice: stay away from this company. Their specialty is HEADACHES.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Old Republic Home Protection?

Our water heater began leaking so we called the home warranty that was purchased when we bought our home last June. They sent out a technician who came out and told us our water heater needs to be replaced. However, somehow, someway, Old Republic charged us $395 as "our portion" to fix the water heater. This is the 2nd time we have had to deal with Old Republic Home Warranty and both time they found a way to NOT PAY for the charges or at least a portion of the charges. We've only had to call them twice and both times they did not hold up what they were supposed to do. Old Republic is a scam and I will NEVER, EVER purchase another policy through them and/or have a home warranty purchased on my behalf through them. Ridiculous.

In GA, where we moved from and in NC it is illegal to change out an outside heat pump without also installing its inside mate -- it is different in SC. You also won't get the 10-year manufacturer warranty unless you change both so Old Republic knows that they don't have to exchange both because only the outside unit is leaking and even though the inside unit is 17 years old and rusty -- they won't pay to exchange it. The technician thinks I should change out the inside unit also and said that he would if he was me and he seems like a reliable person so I will pay for the inside unit to be replaced. If I was in GA I would be out a couple of hundred bucks but in SC it will be 900 but I am still very thankful that OR is going to pay the other 3 thousand. I believe that they are much better than the mass of reviews leads you to believe. I will renew my insurance with them when it becomes due.

First of all it took a few telephone calls before I got any response from service providers; then it took almost a week before they showed up, then nothing happened. I had to contact ORHP to find out that nothing will be done. I don't understand how ORHP can have an A+ rating when they have a 91% Negative rating and almost 1000 complaints. As far as their home warranty it's the worst.

My real estate agent got it for us when we purchased our home. We've had two service providers out for our old hot water heater which needs to be replaced. Neither one told us anything but left a barely legible work order. Because they said the water heater works, we were told there is no repair or replacement unless there is complete failure. WHAT!?! So basically, this warranty is useless. Not to mention, I also received a bill for $65 for absolutely nothing but a guy looking at our water heater who told us we didn't have to pay because no work was done. If I had paid for this protection I would definitely be requesting a refund.

I have dealt with several Home Warranty companies and Old Republic is the worst one in the Kansas City area. They use junk 3rd party vendors... that either don't show up, don't respond for days, if they do show up they refuse to do the work, or they don't know how to do the work. They say they are told to say the warranty doesn't cover the repairs and you can spend weeks trying to get a repair made. They because their vendor doesn't show up when it is 5 below zero to fix a heater... They tell you can "hire" someone else, but after you send them all of the books of documentation they require... they send out what they say they will pay the owner back. It is pennies on the dollar... and never refund close to the cost the owner has incurred.

The vendors have said that since Old Republic pays them so little... it always goes to the bottom of the stack. It will be the last work they do!!! One of my owners was 6 weeks getting them to look at an AC leak, and had to send 3 different vendors out and the first 2 refused to do the repair. I have had one owner tell me that she is so frustrated with them that she refuses to even call them, because they either no showed, couldn't diagnose the problem, or always said it wasn't covered under the warranty.

I spent hours on the phone with different supervisors, they would tell me to call them back at a certain phone extension. When I would call back if you hit that extension it would automatically hang up. The customer service is the worst and when you call Janell ** the Old Republic rep in Kansas City... she acts shocked like she has never heard a complaint about Old Republic nor their vendors. I don't have time to go into all the issues that I have encountered with OLD REPUBLIC, BUT I REFUSE TO EVER ALLOW AN OLD REPUBLIC WARRANTY TO BE WRITTEN ON ANY HOUSE I SELL.

We realized the hot water in our new house has a brownish hue to it, and the water heater constantly makes a popping noise. These are symptoms of residue and buildup in a water heater, which needs to be cleaned out. Per ORHP, they will address issues (even if they are due to poor maintenance) for a new house where the issue wasn't caught during inspection.

So, we opened a ticket with ORHP. They sent a plumber who came over for 5 minutes to tell us that if there's hot water and no leaks, he can't do anything (never mind the fact that the water is brown). He told us that instead, we need to flush the water heater 6 times a day until the residue is gone. I guess they expect I'll just put the rest of my life on hold to take care of this water heater. Presumably to rub salt in the wound, ORHP then proceeded to charge us for the useless service call. Extremely disappointed. I will never recommend this company to anyone and I will be changing companies as soon as the current warranty period is up.

I have had two bad experiences with Old Republic. First, a plumber came, which was arranged for by Old Republic, to clear out a drain stoppage. The plumber looked under the sink and said that since they would have to take apart some piping to access the drain to snake it, they would have to charge me extra. I called Old Republic and they said something along the lines of, "well, if they have to take apart some pipes under the sink, we don't cover that and you (I) will have to pay the plumber extra for that". I checked closer and noted that there was in fact a capped end of a pipe which could be opened up to access the drain without undoing all the pipes under the sink. The plumber was able to do the job and not charge me extra. However, had I not taken the initiative to investigate on my own, Old Republic was more than happy to let the plumber charge me more.

On a second occasion, we had a toilet that was leaking at its base. Old Republic got a plumber to come out and fix it. The plumber moved the toilet back forcefully then left to make a phone call. He returned to say that Old Republic would not cover the service because the seat had been installed incorrectly. He explained that since there was a slight play (he could slightly move the seat (toilet) when he pushed and pulled on it), it meant that the installation had not been done correctly in the first place and thus it was not covered.

He then said I had to pay the $65 copayment in any event and then generously offered (according to him Old Republic had authorized the amount he offered) to do it for an additional $240.00 on top of the $65.00 for a total of $305. I told him thanks but no thanks and got our skilled handyman to come and do it for much less. I asked him if he had noted any problem with the original installation and he said it was just fine (it was toilet installed by the builder). So, Old Republic was just fine with having this plumber charge me a total of $305.00 for a 1 hour job (it took the handyman 50 minutes to do the job).

I contacted Old Republic (big mistake) to explain that the person I had do the work had told me that the initial installation was just fine and that wax seal frequently just fail on their own, which is what happened. Old Republic asked that the handyman call them and that they would consider what he had to say (to return my $65.00 copayment) if the repairman was certified. Well, you guessed it, I got nowhere because the repairman I used was not certified. Look elsewhere for a more customer friendly and caring provider.

ORHP was set up at closing in August 2016 by my realtor who told me they had had good results with ORHP. My experience has been the mirror image of the other dissatisfied customers on this page. Now I am paying a fortune to have my furnace fixed because it is one month before the manufacture's parts warranty expires. Note it is a "parts warranty" nothing more but ORHP takes the position that it, ORPH, is exempted under the policy because the unit has an existing "warranty". Such a scam--there needs to be a class action lawsuit filed against ORHP.

Wow, this home warranty is useless! We just moved into a home and the water heater went out. ORHP sent someone, we paid the person $65, and since there is a month remaining on the warranty (a warranty which does not replace the broken water heater, by the way), ORHP will not do anything. So now I can pay for a new hot water heater, which will then have a warranty--which will then NOT be covered by the ORHP warranty--Catch 22 anyone?

They do not clearly publicize this exception--in fact, the nice clean brochure says nothing about exceptions...of course, they have lawyers, so I am certain that it is printed somewhere. Fear not, awful people at ORHP, you are legally safe--if ethically corrupt! The worst thing is that the service on the phone was atrocious. I would have been pleased with even a modicum of human kindness or professionalism; instead, I think they hired someone and trained him to be as rude, unkind, argumentative, and unhelpful as possible. CUSTOMER SERVICE is not the strength of this company--and neither is providing a home warranty...so they will surely not get my business after this year is up.

My realtor gave me this warranty. I had them come for my shower because the temperature would not regulate. They sent plumbers who broke my master shower so that it did not work at all. When I called to have them pay they would not. They told me it was not covered after they sent the plumbers who broke it. Over $600 out of my pocket. When I called for them to be accountable they would not return my call. Don't use them if you expect to get anything done. Use another company.

They lie and tell you that you can use the policy same day that you buy it. Michael ** took my order and told me the policy starts that same day. That late afternoon there was water that started to come through our ceiling through one of our downstairs bathrooms. I called for services and they said they would not come out because it was on the same day. There was no leak or water at the time I called, but because it was the same day they would not come. They said Michael was wrong.

Now I just called about a completely different bathroom and they said they would not come out. Then Marisol in accounting stated that I had to send another cancellation letter, even though I had sent one. She also lied and said it did not say anything about cancelling. I told her to read me the email I sent and she stated she did not have it. I asked her then how she could tell me that I did not state I wanted to cancel. Then she said "no problem, we will cancel you". So they just lie whenever they feel like it.

Most frustrating trying to get service or any repair expenses covered. So far no success, not even worth the time to call them. We have stayed on several occasions with no heat in minus temperatures or no hot water, their technicians do not even bother to call once they get the work order. Total scam! I am going to forget they even exist!

I called to report I had a crack in the glass oven door. I asked if it was covered as I said I don't see any exclusion in the warranty. They said it was covered and sent out a repairman within the hour. The man wanted the $75 upfront but he would have to talk to Old Republic first. Then the story changed. It wasn't COVERED but I could just have home fix it for $160. I was OK with that until I just received a bill for the $75 for the service call from Old Republic for doing NOTHING BUT REJECTING MY CLAIM! I'm mad, I'm arguing with them on the phone! They say "READ YOUR CONTRACT" because even if they reject your claim and don't fix... You still owe them the fee!!! Stay away from this company! I think my next step is to report them to the Consumer Watch on TV!!! Waste of money!!!

We purchased an Old Republic Home Warranty as part of a residential real estate purchase in 2014 and renewed the contract in 2015. On November 22, 2016 our furnace was not working so we called Old Republic. This was 2 days before Thanksgiving. The first contractor called and said he was a one man operation and could not respond for several days and suggested we request reassignment to another contractor and request priority service due to young children in the home.

We called Old Republic with this request. The second contractor promised to be there Friday and said they did not have the priority request. They finally showed on Saturday, inspected the unit and sent their findings to Old Republic. This contractor made 3 additional trips, trying to fix one item at a time but without success. They abandoned our job by not showing up on Day 4, although they set an appointment with us.

Old Republic assigned Contractor #3 who assessed the problem and advised Old Republic. Old Republic responded that they found that we had a Manufacturer's Extended Warranty with American Standard/Trane which was still in effect. We did not know this as no one advised us of this during the property purchase. Old Republic said they could not respond since there was still Manufacturer's Warranty Coverage in place. We then ended up dealing directly with the manufacturer's local dealer/distributor who ultimately fixed our unit.

In our view, Old Republic's contractor selection leaves a lot to be desired and Old Republic's service does not meet minimum standards expected. When our coverage renews we will show more diligently and will be replacing Old Republic with a more highly rate company as there are many with better records than Old Republic.

First off, the customer service of the customer service was great. Although I was frustrated each time (5 times) they were professional. I called Old Republic because a month after I moved in my home my AC unit upstairs started to leaking. I called and they sent a technician out within 72 hours. I spoke with the technician and asked if he could call me when he was on his way because I was at work which was 10 minutes away. He called me and by the time I got to my home he claim he was already done. He claimed it was clogged and tried to charge me $100 for trade fee when my contract stated $75. He did not give me a receipt and claimed he would email it to me.

I never received my receipt (now going on 7 months or the report I asked for), but I did receive a phone call stating it would cost me 400 to replace the drip pan due to rust. He never took a look at it! He just repeated what I ask about the pan being rusted. I have a dog and would have had to put my dog outside had he entered my house. He lied! So they sent a second technician out. He said he would return with some blocks to raise my unit. Two week later I called to find out the status and they tell me he no longer work for them. So they sent a 3rd technician. This man went above and beyond and checked EVERYTHING. He did a superb job.

I called Old Republic again to get a receipt and report and was told I could get a report, but would send me the receipt. A month go by and I get a call from the rep to make sure the job was done. I explain everything I am typing now and she said she would send me a receipt and report via email. Like I said, six month later, nothing! I received a call today, but missed the call. I called them back, but to ask about my microwave to see if it was under warranty. The rep stated she could not access my records due to non payment of the trade fee! I was livid. I've been begging for a receipt, but now they tell me my account was cancelled because they had no proof I paid (I paid cash which is why I wanted a receipt in the first place).

Long story short, she found the notes where I paid. How do you cancel an account without first warning or notifying the customer??? I was told to call the technician to get my receipt and report, even though he initially told me he couldn't provide one. So I am back at square one. This all happened in Jul 9, 2016. It is now Jan 16, 2017 and I still don't have a receipt or report as to what was done to my AC unit. This whole situation has been a nightmare.

I've had this "warranty" for 3 years. I have made a total of 8 service calls & only 1 resulted in a service being completed that was covered by the policy. It took 4 different plumbers to finally fix a leak in my bathroom. All 4 charged me the $60 trip charge & then within 5 minutes - explained what was causing the leak & how it's not covered by the warranty. One charged me an additional $70 to change a toilet seal, another $49 to caulk the shower stall & the third charged me $55 to replace the cold water handle on the tub. The 4th guy was actually honest & repaired the leak. Because it was a slow leak & I painted the ceiling after every "fix"- it took months to determine that it was still leaking. Old Republic did NOTHING but send out another con man every time I called.

Bottom line - a $200 plumbing repair cost me $240 in trip charges, $211 in false charges plus the cost of my warranty. I would have saved more than $850 to have no warranty & just call a highly reviewed plumber. DO NOT buy a warranty from these con men. This is nothing but a scam to send out crooked contractors to rip you off. In the end, it will be CHEAPER & EASIER to simply call a service provider on your own.

Home insurance Customer service is horrible. They have bad attitude even if the customer is right. I had my AC go out on my home. I just bought this insurance, was the insurance that initially was assigned, we accepted it and discovered soon after that our AC was faulty after only living in our home for a month. We contacted Old Republic as they were our insurance co at the time. They sent out a company and the tech stated it was the thermostat and was going to put in a authorization request. It took two weeks for me to get the approval of a thermostat and that was with me calling them every day.

When the same tech came back he tried the very very non-comparable cheap thermostat and came to the conclusion he was wrong that it might be the wiring and he would have to come back since he did not have the particular cable. He had already put my nice thermostat I had he claimed was faulty in his truck. I had to ask for it. I called in because at that time the temps had peaked 105 in southern California. I mentioned I needed the repair to be done quicker. They booked me for 2 weeks out. The next technician that came stated it was not the thermostat but the main board on the unit in my attic. When he left my attic entrance was filthy and cracked. It took 2 and a half weeks to get the company to approve and schedule and appt.

I was already upset at the rudeness level Old Republic had given me over the phone. They decided to send over a third company with the new main board and that tech stated it would be good to go. A week went by and water started to come down from the filter area on to my then wood floor. They stated they would send someone over to check on it that took about a week.

At this point it had been about 2 or so months and still no AC. Heat was very bad indoors with kids at the house. It took 11 months to fix my AC. They sent over maybe one guy that was professional. The others had poor attitude so much so I neglected to have a specific contractor come back to my house. To top it off they sent me a trip charge after I already paid one trip charge. Their response to this was I was one day over the grace period of 30 days from when the tech came to my house.

DO NOT USE OLD REPUBLIC if they have them assigned to you by your realtor do not accept them. I believe that customer satisfaction is key to a successful company. I am surprised with all the negative reviews that this company is still in business.and values and this company as a whole hires contractors that claim to be senior level but are only guessing the true problem instead of really knowing what the true problem is.

This home warranty place Old Republic is the worst thing to ever purchase. They are a scam. No matter what goes wrong they always have excuse and say it was installed improperly or man-made incident. Are they a professional in home building? NO just in **, but at the end of the day they have the ruling on if they are going to replaces it or not. In the simplest words they use A excuse every time (not installed properly) no matter who says it was or wasn't but they are a giant waste of money and never replaced anything. They always have an excuse and the customer service is very rude Even (Gloria works out of the Sparks, Nevada Department). She is the rudest person. I've never been spoken to that way before. A very mean person. I don't know if you can call her a person.

If I could select less than one star I would. I requested service on 3 claims. I paid for a representative to come out each time. And all three claims were denied. The last claim was for a broken air conditioner. I told them it was blowing, but not cold air. The service rep came out, checked that it was blowing air, and then said it was not covered unless it was not blowing. I was then charged the service fee. I tried to avoid paying the service fee, indicating that he should not have come out when I had already let them know the problem, so they tried to send it to collections.

I begrudgingly paid the service fee, and immediately researched quality home protection programs and found one with a good rating. I fell into service with Old Republic through my realtor, who since has had an earful from me, as well as received a bad review. I am disgusted with this money grabbing corporation, who has taken my money and provided me no support for my broken household items. This company is a total sham.

We live in a smaller community (350,000), so repair companies are quick to respond and very personable... most know or have heard of local service providers. Word of mouth recommendations are common. Our microwave went out on a Thurs. Before we had Old Republic, I would have been able to get a repair person here the same day I called, next day at the latest. Now that I have Old Republic, they claim their repair providers will make contact the schedule the service call "within 24 hours in most cases". After 24 hours of no contact, I called the repair company and left a message, same the following day. No return call. I contacted Old Republic and was told they only had one other option and that company is located 2 hours away. I called them and the earliest they can come out is nearly 3 days from today. By the time I get someone here to determine the problem, a full week will have passed.

I do not recommend working with Old Republic if you live in a smaller community. It is impossible to get a list of service providers by area, which probably means their service provider list is small in smaller communities. At any rate, any company that won't disclose and give you the option of choice among service providers, isn't worth the time and money. Not happy at the lack of initiative to provide service.

Called Old Republic and initiated a service call for a commode leak. After 24 hours no response from a plumber in their network. Found a local plumber to do repair. The leak was in the plumbing below the commode. Presented repair estimate for repair. Old Republic would not pay for removing and replacing the commode. Repairs COULD NOT be performed without removing the commode. Cost me another $50 for removal and reinstalling commode.

This warranty is as close to a scam as you can imagine. As you've seen in other reviews, the process is very simple. You pay anywhere from $500 to several thousand dollars for your "warranty". You pay a $65 "co-pay" for any service call... which essentially means YOU PAY FOR THE SERVICE CALL. $65 isn't a co-pay. That's more than what it costs for a normal service call on your own. If they can't fix it, and need to replace any parts, ORHP will ALWAYS seem to come up with some excuse for denying coverage. If you read their fine print, you'll see they've indemnified themselves so deeply, they effectively don't have to provide service for anything that they ostensibly should. And by default, if you purchase their coverage, you waive your right to pursue any legal recourse... very clever on their part.

The warranty protection seems to be a shill, because if any issue you have will cost them money, they simply won't cover it. They will find some convoluted way to claim that your equipment failure is a result of "secondary damage", and is not covered. In our case, our old-as-dirt pool pump began leaking. Because of cavitation in the line, the pump heated up, began to warp, exacerbating the leaks, effectively rendering the pump non-functional. Pretty straightforward, right? It's an old pump and should be replaced! Wrong. The heat warping is considered "secondary damage" by ORHP, ignoring the fact that the FAILING pump caused the heat damage in the first place! Which is to say, they're claiming the symptom was the CAUSE. This is ridiculous. There wasn't a fire. Nobody held a magnifying glass to it. The thing was old and gave up the ghost.

Of course, when speaking to them over the phone, if you contest them or in any way press them to do their stated job, they get nasty and defensive. If you request a copy of the contractor's report on your property, they claim that it's confidential and you may not have access to it. If you call the contractor, they'll claim the same thing. When you ask how anyone can provide any oversight or accountability to make sure that everyone's operating in good faith, they get nasty and point you towards their "glowing" reviews... Well as you may have noticed, they get TERRIBLE reviews. When we checked the reviews of the pool contractor they sent to us, they had amazing reviews, except for a handful of 1-star reviews... and wouldn't you know it... they were ALL ORHP referrals. All having similar complaints. ORHP acting like slimy weasels avoiding responsibility at all costs.

This warranty coverage is a joke. In my mind, it's worthless. They apparently will not pay out on anything. Even if they were to pay out anything, their coverage limits are so low, you'll max out quickly and start paying out of pocket right out of the gates. Furthermore, in their fine print, they've covered their rears in regards to replacing old equipment... If you happen to buy a house with an old heater that isn't manufactured or sold anymore, you're out of luck. It's not their "responsibility" to upgrade you simply because your equivalent equipment doesn't exist anymore. A service call fee from them is $65. A service call fee from Leslie's is $29. You end up paying for ANYTHING that needs to get fixed or replaced anyway, so save your money. You're better off just hiring your own technicians, independently.

DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS WARRANTY. It's absolutely worthless. Save the $1K and use it towards repairs on your own. Good luck getting them to replace ANYTHING. We are advising our realtors to stop pushing this on our clients. We are very dissatisfied with this service and we feel like we got scammed into wasting our money on something that SOUNDS like a good idea, but is effectively worthless. Pay attention to all these negative reviews... there's a reason for them. Just like everyone else, the only reason I gave them one star is because there's no option to give negative stars. If you have this warranty, you should try to cancel your policy and get a prorated refund.

I suspect the Old Republic trains their employees to be rude. If you are not satisfied with their service or have further questions, they just tell you to shut up and live with it. They have shouted at me several times when I tried to find out more information about my services. Their goal is not to serve their customers, but to get your money and stop you from bothering them. It seriously affects my mood every time I called them, so I am almost afraid of calling them now. I think this might be what they want.

There was once a plumber came to my house, took a look at the things I have told them on phone, and told me he didn't have any time to fix anything for me on that day, because he had 10 more appointments lined up after 3 pm, although the woman who scheduled his visit told me she would not schedule anything else for him after my appointment, because I had many things to be repaired. The worst part was I had to pay $60 for that visit.

I called the Old Republic, and they just said they had no way of knowing what a plumber or any worker would do on any visit, so I just got to pay them every time. When I asked further why he had to look at the things I had told them on phone already, and if there is anything I could do in the future to prevent paying for someone without having them fix anything for me, the woman on the phone was like no, and yelled at me to stop asking her any other question. If you don't want to end up paying more than hiring someone yourself, and getting mentally abused, I strongly recommend not to use the Old Republic. They are the worst ever customer service. In fact, I don't know how they exist for so long.

Consumer Increased Rating!

When I first called ORHW representatives yesterday I was NOT happy with their response. They basically told me they had no one available to do repairs in my area. That I'd have to find someone on my own and go through 10 steps to line up the work and get it approved and I may or may not be reimbursed -- less the service fee! So I researched online and found a few numbers to call--- all of them closed that late at night. I called my realtor and told him these ORHP guys are bozos and to stop recommending them and I went online and wrote a low review! Then this morning before I could make a single call out to contractors, I received a call from Rob's Appliance repair, telling me ORHW had contacted him yesterday to do the repairs. He was here 10 minutes later, fixed my stove and I paid him the service fee. Not sure why there's a disconnect between the call center and actual service but THAT is how a home warranty is supposed to work.

Amy B Cody of Okc, OK on

Original Review

I bought my home in Nov and at the recommendation of realtor, got an Old Republic Home Protection plan included at closing. Less than one month later, the top burners of my electric stove stopped working overnight. After reading policy, determining the problem should be covered, I called ORHP and got a total run around. They're going to charge me $100 service fee for providing a contractor. But they don't have any contractors in the area. I'm to find one who can do the work for under $100 and send them the invoice along with $100 and they keep the overage.

If it's over $100, I'll have to call back to get it approved prior to getting the work done, then I am to pay contractor and send them the invoice and they'll reimburse all but $100. Why are they getting $100 for doing NOTHING? They couldn't even provide a list of people in the area. TOTAL RIP OFF. I'm letting my realtor know that these guys are hurting his reputation and he'd best stop recommending them.

My a/c unit quit the day before Thanksgiving. Called Old Republic to facilitate a repair. No service techs in their network would respond. Was told to find my own repair service and I would be reimbursed. Called a repair company to do the work. Got an authorization #. Paid the repair company their fee and then sent copy of invoice to Old Republic requesting payment. Got check today less a $75 trades call fee. My cost was $265 refund was $190. I found the contractor and made arrangements for the repair. Called Old Republic to advise that they owed me the $75 they had withheld. They did not provide a service repair co. I don't agree that I owe a trades call fee. Talked to Ruben at the old republic auth office. NOT HELPFUL.

I just recently bought a home in the Palm Springs area. I have put in several claims finding that things around the home are not working properly. Each and every claim Old Republic has found a reason why not to replace, repair or handle the claim. I have even had claims turned down and no repair person has come out at all. Each time I call them I am either left on hold or given the run around. I would never recommend this company to anyone...

Expert Review

Michele LernerMortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.    More about Michele→

Old Republic Home Protection has been in business for more than 40 years. Founded in 1974 as Dependable Home Warranty, which provided services only in California, the company joined Old Republic International in 1982 and has been expanding the number of states it serves annually.

• Enhanced coverage: Unlike most home warranty companies, Old Republic covers repairs or replacements even if the problem is due to lack of maintenance, rust or an unknown pre-existing condition.
  • Customer satisfaction: Old Republic conducts weekly random surveys of their customers to provide an additional check on their service providers.
  • High coverage limits: Old Republic covers the repair or replacement of most items up to $1000 to $1500 per year; kitchen refrigerators are covered up to $2500.
  • Delayed coverage: While the warranty program goes into effect immediately if it’s purchased during a real estate transaction, the coverage is delayed for 30 days after payment if a homeowner purchases it.
  • Cancellation fee: While there’s no penalty for cancelling within the first 20 days, after that, customers will pay a 10% penalty in some states.
  • Best for home sellers, first-time homebuyers and real estate agents.

Compare Home Warranties, Service Plans