1.19/5

Save on Repairs with a Home Warranty

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

666 Old Republic Home Protection Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

Sales personnel did not disclose when purchasing plan many non-covered items yet they advertise when cold calling the product does cover all repairs. Never once was offered the Ultimate or Platinum protection which does cover all repairs. Told by sales personnel all repairs covered with plan I purchased. NOT TRUE!!! Plan I purchased and was lead to believe was the only option did not cover costly repairs for water heater (i.e. $1100 of the $1800 bill not covered). When I questioned Old Republic Home Protection Company about why repairs not covered was told I purchased standard Plan? Buyer Beware. This company does not disclose many fees also. I was told I could pay for the plan by making monthly payments. Not once was I told there was a $5.00 fee added every month to my bill. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. Save yourself grief, frustration, uncovered repair costs, and undisclosed fees.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

Waste of money & source of frustration. They only use low rated, unprofessional contractors that don't make servicing homes with this warranty a priority because they don't pay much. Forced to use this service by my landlord. Would never buy one and warn others it is not worth it. If anything happens to your home you'll experience delays in service & often times whatever is wrong is not covered under the warranty. But you will still have to pay the $75 to be told that.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I bought a house at the beginning of the year. I got Old Republic Home Protection. About 6 months down the road my a/c quit working so I called and they was going to send someone out to look at it. They had no one in my area that they even deal with. So they had to send a company about a hour away to come look at it. I paid my trade fee and he gave me a paper saying what was wrong. I contacted the home protection plan and they wanted me to pay almost $900 dollars out of pocket before they would send someone in to come fix my A/C. I called my realtor and she said she has sold this same policy for years and have never heard of anyone having to do that. She said I should only have to pay the trade fee. Come to find out the representative for Old Republic lied to me and my realtor and I would have to pay my trade fee and the almost $900 out of my own pocket.

They called me one day and told me the whole amount it was going to cost was roughly $2,200 dollars. So they are asking me to pay almost half of the whole bill (2,200). Now they are sending me the amount they will pay in the mail (1,100) so they don’t have to deal with me anymore. The representative pretty much told my realtor he could care less if she purchased his policy anymore. I have had nothing but trouble with this company. Awful. I wouldn’t even look anywhere near their policy and buy from a different company or cares about their customers and doesn’t lie just to sell a policy to maybe screw you over in the long run.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

Old Republic was atrocious on all levels. HVAC system failures, several attempts to fix it by HVAC company and an electrician. Since the problem was not easily diagnosed it took several attempts to fix the issue. The issue was never fixed, our 12 month package expired by the time the summer was over so the load on the unit lessened therefore no more failures. After expiration Old republic send us to a collection agency for a trade call fee. The frustrating thing is all necessary trade call fees were paid. Their policy is if you call in within 30 days of service to report the same issue then no additional trade call fee will be administered. A fictitious trade call fee and a collections agency is about to ruin my excellent credit. I will never use this company again and I am glad to hear that the agent I purchased my house with is not using them anymore either.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I requested a plumber come out for services needed. The company that was sent was unreliable, never got back to me like he said he would, told me he needed to order a part. Never heard from him again. Daryl the supervisor from Old Republic called to inform me that the plumber was going to make changes to the current system and it would cost me almost $ 700.00 out of pocket. I wanted a second opinion. Which the policy states I am entitled to have. Daryl told me he was denying that, because he did not think I was necessary. He does have the authority to do so. That is not the policy. I did have a second opinion 3 days later. The second company had it fixed with a hours with no out of pocket extra charge. Know your policy. Do not be bullied by someone that has no idea of company policy. Daryl read the rules and regulations policies, educate yourself!! You give the company a bad reputation.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Old Republic Home Protection?

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Worst experience ever. They are unreliable, not serious, talk down to customers, completely unprofessional and their policy is a real scam. If you file a claim with them, be ready to wait for months, to take multiple days off from work to "accommodate" their schedule, ready to cover fees which should have never been mentioned to begin with and deal with an ordeal for minor things. I wish I could turn back time and choose a completely different company. Even in communist countries, the customer service level is higher. They behave as if they are a monopoly, treat the customer with utmost disrespect and complicate your life. PLEASE, CHOOSE SOMEONE ELSE, BE SMARTER THAN I WAS.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

We have had different warranty companies with each house we have had. Old Republic is by far the worst. We have filed three different claims with them over the last three years. Anytime something urgent comes up, we end up having to go direct (and pay direct) to a service provider, because we can't get Old Republic to help out. Our most current claim is a good example of terrible service. Our heat went out last night. I called and filed an emergency claim over the phone at 4:45 AM. We have a newborn in the house, so no heat is a safety issue. I called back at 9:15 AM because I hadn't heard anything from them. They told me to wait, they would assign someone.

I called back one hour later and the representative told me there was no claim on file. Grr! I then got a provider assigned but was told he wouldn't reach out for at least four hours and didn't have to provide service for 24 hours. I checked the provider's website - no emergency service offered. I called back, a rude customer service person told me that they couldn't guarantee same day service. I asked if I could find someone and bill them, and without letting me finish, they transferred me.

I talked to the new person (now my fourth call and fifth representative). He told me I didn't call at 4:45 AM or at 9:15 AM (are you kidding me?!), that their system says the first time I called was at 10:15 AM. He says again that they can't guarantee same day service. He then implies that I just called for the first time but am trying to get an escalation. He assigns a new provider. I ask to talk with a supervisor and he says they will call me before end of business. SMH. When the call is over, I check the new provider's website. They don't offer weekend service. Great. So, I called someone in the area on my own to fix the heat. They are on the way. I hate Old Republic.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Superior Plumbing came to diagnosis and "fix" plumbing, but everything was denied, just because there was no furniture was in the house; everything was lumped as "pre-existing". I told them that we were redoing the floors, that we do use the faucets, toilets, etc but then things started to leak and break even though there were no beds in the home (since we are replacing all the carpet to get laminate flooring).

Now they want me to pay the trade call fee for a guy who came and just took pictures and labeled everything as "pre-existing." Where is the check and balances of them labeling everything and anything as pre-existing? You can't just lump everything together, then they don't even respond to your email appeals... but they can collect the trade call fee. Pure crap, pure scam. I will not be paying any trade call fee for them; they've already gotten the yearly premium amount so losing that $65 is still profit for them; STAY AWAY FROM THEM, TELL YOUR REALTORS TO STAY AWAY FROM THEM!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

THIS IS A SCAM! I am convinced they are working together with their contractors to scam you out of your money. Not only are you paying their yearly price, but each time something is wrong, they charge 75. On top of that, they don't fix the item because they say everything is "not wear and tear", as in, the homeowner is deliberately breaking all of their items. It's a waste of money!! Do not use!!!! There are plenty of good reputable companies out there.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

First you should know that the "deductible" is not a deductible. It is a trade call fee that you are charged whether they do anything or not. They get this just for showing up. Second, the contractors they use are incompetent. I have used the Old Republic Warranty 7 times in the last year and there is not one thing that actually got done. Literally not one of them actually fixed a problem. I always had to get my own people to do it and pay the usual price plus the trade call fee. For example, 3 different electricians and one plumber came out because I was being shocked in the shower.

They all left saying they couldn't find the problem. Well obviously I needed to fix this because I have a pacemaker and it was scary. So I had a local electrician come out and he fixed it in 30 minutes. I actually had a refrigerator repairman tell me that to fix it, he would have to pull the refrigerator out and he wasn't going to do that.

A plumber came to fix a leak in the bathroom and cut a hole in the drywall on the opposite side of the leak (in the hallway). But he couldn't find the leak. I called a neighborhood plumber and he found it inside the shower. He did not need to cut any holes. I called Old Republic so I could get my wall fixed and they said that it is not something they do. So I had to pay for that too. I have paid out of pocket for all items fixed in this house. Plus I paid trade call fees. Plus I paid for the original warranty. Save your $700 for the repairs when you need them.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

We purchased a home warranty 6 months ago. Our water heater went out 3 weeks ago. They still have not come out to fix it. We have been living without hot water for three solid weeks. When they do schedule a time to come out they do not show. They do not call to even communicate said they're going to be 3 4 5 hours late. The company they are using is an hour away for repairs. D P&M Services Inc. They are equally as bad no communication and do not schedule fast enough as they are the ones we have been waiting for 3 weeks to replace a simple water heater.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

They will try their hardest to get out of any repair. Truly a horrible company. It's just a big scam and anyone that works for them should be ashamed. They will ask you a bunch of leading questions to disqualify whatever claim you're trying to make.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

Do not purchase a home warranty plan from Old Republic! They take forever to approve even the smallest of repairs. Some of my linoleum floor is damaged because they took 3 WEEKS to approve fixing a drainage pan at the bottom of my A/C unit. I will not renew my warranty with them. They are horrible. They also kept having the same A/C company call me for repairs, when I specifically told them several times that I can only have repairs done on the weekends. What a horrible company.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

I am a real estate agent and will no longer be using Old Republic Home Warranty for any of my clients. I signed some clients up for Seller’s coverage and when my sellers called in for a potential repair, their claim was denied. During the Buyer’s inspection, there was concern regarding the furnace. When my client and I each called in separately, requesting service from ORHP, we were denied simply because my clients had not turned on their furnace since last spring. (Great loophole.)

We were in the month of August. Of course, no one turns on their furnace and even if my clients had, they would have assumed it to be in normal working condition. It was an inspector that brought the matter to our attention. As it turned out, my clients were able to find another company who inspected the furnace and no replacement or repairs were needed, however, this experience opened my eyes and I am grateful for that. I will no longer refer ORHP to any of my clients.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

They only take your money. If anything get broken, they will find the small fonts to not fix what you need. They charge a lot for an expensive home warranty but when needed anything they are running away from their responsibility.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

They sent an HVAC person to repair my fridge. The guy "ordered" the part on a Friday and said it was on its way. Monday, he said the part was en route; Tuesday, he said the part was stuck in SC because of Hurricane Florence; Wednesday, he had a medical procedure; Thursday, he actually attempted to order the part but it was on back order. Today, Monday, Old Republic has miraculously found the part and ordered it... after telling me the unit would be replaced on Friday. We are 10 days in.

It will be another 10 days before the part will come in, and more after that waiting on this "professional" to come back and actually repair the refrigerator. Old Republic offered NO help. We did everything required by them to get our refrigerator repaired but received nothing but a measly $300 to find someone else to do it. This is after we already paid $100 trade call fee, so we get $200 to repair/replace our refrigerator. With the amount we paid for the platinum protection plan, and the service fee, we could have purchased a new refrigerator.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

Avoid this company...awful customer service, employees absolutely HATE their jobs and you can tell by their attitudes and terrible lack of complying with their jobs. I have spoken to representatives, and even management who sound bored, unprofessional and downright miserable answering phone calls. 8 years is just far too long to put up with it- I am a very patient person. Enough. This company is TRASH.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I've had ORHP for almost 10 years... First few years were ok. Fees kept increasing year after year but we stayed, thinking as long as their service was fine, we'd give them a break. But their customer service just BOMBED. Grouchy receptionists, ridiculously unprofessional management. I still gave them the benefit of the doubt and asked to speak to UPPER management, thinking they'd care. Nope. Nobody who works for this company likes their job. They sound miserable, unprofessional, unhelpful, and downright "get me off this phone" bored. I made it clear that they were NOT doing me any favors by doing their job, but I am (was) a PAYING customer, paying THOUSANDS of dollars in exchange for services that were NOT being provided. The apathy and boredom was so absolutely incredulous. AVOID this company.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

AVOID THESE UTTER CLOWNS!!! You have been warned. I have a home warranty with them, I called to make a claim for the sump pump not working which is covered in the warranty. Even though the warranty was covering the seller for the last few weeks and me (the buyer) they said they won't cover it as the house closing was today BUT for $100 they would send someone out (during the times I'm at work) to look at it NOT fix it, just look at it to tell me if it's working or not... the pump is in a foot of water, pretty sure that means it not working.

I've just got off my 5 the call with this clown show of a company because they transferred me to the wrong place which hung up after a pointless automated recording. It is painfully obvious with everyone I've spoken to they do not care in the slightest about the customer, not even a little. They are totally useless and I WILL be changing companies. DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I took out a home warranty in 2016. Cost was $550 + $100 for limited roof repair. In 2017, my water heater developed a leak. I called on a Wednesday, was told a service person would contact me. Two days later, received an email stating I had to find my own plumber, they had no one in my area. Called a plumber, he came out and said it definitely needed replacing. Old Republic said they would get back with me within 3-4 business days. I told me no way, this heater could burst and cause horrible damage. Fought with them most of the day until they relented and agreed to replace it that Friday. I had to pay upfront and wait for reimbursement. Later that year, I received my renewal and my policy had increased by $100 a year and my service call increased by $25.

2018; was having A/C problems in June in South Louisiana. Temps in the triple digits. Was told again; service guy would contact me. Two days later, no one in my area. I called a service company. After a very detailed conversation between the A/C guy and ORHP, he submitted an estimate. The unit was almost 14 years old and needed to be replaced. I called every day for 1 week, then was told they did not cover those brands. I had to start all over and get quotes from another company with the 3 approved brands. New service guy. Same conversations. It took 2 full weeks before they finally approved a new A/C that was actually more expensive than one of the original quotes!

I spoke to a supervisor who actually claimed certain things were not covered in replacing the unit and when I questioned him, he replied, "Do you need me to read the policy to you?" I told him I had it right in front of me and it did NOT say these items weren't covered. Great customer relations, right??? I had to do all the legwork, pay for the unit myself and wait for reimbursement. I felt that I was being penalized for the fact that they don't have service people in my area. No surprise, I have just received an email saying they will not renew my policy. No problem, I had no intention of renewing with them anyway after the crappy experiences with them! I don't know if all home warranties operate this way, but I definitely would never recommend Old Republic!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

Old Republic denied our claim for Septic Line. $2800 dollars. Every time I speak to them, they have a different excuse as to why it's not being covered. Our 2nd claim was filed for our Washing Machine. They sent a Vendor that was horrible, his wife that handles customers actually hung up on me after saying SHE was closing my claim that had been approved, and my co-pay deposited. I only went with Old Republic because they said they covered Septic tanks and lines. They do not. There is a cap of $500 dollars on the actual tank, not disclosed when purchasing the policy. There are also caps on all appliance, AC/HVAC systems, also not disclosed.

We purchased this home warranty in April of 2018. Our Septic line from our washing machine clogged and we discovered it needed replacing. When I purchased the home warranty, the "sales" person was misleading. They also did not send us a "Disclosure of Coverage" until August 28th, months after we had paid them, and AFTER they denied our claim. I'm contacting the BBB, but Old Republic is not an accredited member. What they tell you upfront, isn't the end result when you file a claim. The Vendors they use are less than subpar. I tried to Google the Washing machine repair company, and couldn't find them.

I'm in a dispute with this company and intend to file against them in court. As they are in another State, my husband said our only chance is a class action lawsuit, with others joining us. Obviously there are many other people that have had a poor experience with this company. Please contact me at ** if you would like to join me in fighting this company!!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

When we bought our house our agent used Old Republic as the warranty company. Upon moving in we found the outlet to a washer wasn’t functioning, and called to get it fixed. They originally denied the request, so we complained to our agent. She spoke to them, and the representative said she thought we were trying to scam them! Our agent went to bat for us, and for $75 they came out and fixed it.

The next thing to break was our HVAC. We have spent roughly $100 every two months to fix it, one time paying an additional roughly $600. By the way, they upped our service fee to $100 after we got our agent involved in our initial request. Each time the reason for a new service fee is it is outside the 30 day warranty period. I’m really not happy with them, and my neighbors aren’t either. Each time our outside unit breaks, it makes a racket, and we tell our neighbors we have Old Republic Home Warranty coverage each time.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

My husband and I just purchased and moved into our home. Within our first week, a crack appeared at the bottom of our toilet and was leaking water every time we flushed. We only have one bathroom. I called Old Republic and asked if we were covered, the rep said yes and I would be contacted by All Right Plumbing by the next business day and we would have to pay the 75 fee. Never got called. I called them the following week and left a voicemail, never returned my call. Called them again and finally got an appt the following week. The guy saw our toilet and said a bolt was overly tightened and that caused the crack. Got a call from Old Republic the next day saying our service request is denied because the crack was not due to natural wear and tear.

I call them back and the rep was useless, just re-read the report to me. I told them this problem is new, we literally just moved in, our house passed inspection, it obviously happened because the toilet is over tightened and were obviously using it, why the heck would it not be covered. On our contract under plumbing, there is nothing that says they won’t cover a crack or a leak. I asked to speak to a supervisor who again told me we were not covered because this crack is not due to natural wear and tear and they do not cover “faulty installations or repairs” even though we did not do this repair or was aware of it. I don’t know why we have this home warranty, it is completely useless. Do not use them!!! They will find any little thing to not service you and obviously their choice of service companies are not good.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I recently closed on a house and Old Republic is company used for the home warranty. After I moved in I noticed the AC unit was not functioning properly. When I called in they asked me when was the last time it worked. I told them I don't know and I just moved in, because of this they refused to cover the service. The company also informed me that the warranty was still under the seller's policy. Which I only mention because they say they would only cover it if there was a last known timeframe in which it worked. You would think common sense would be that one of the two policies should cover the service charge. They did do me a favor, because I own several homes and was considering putting policies on them, but after this experience it would be smarter to take would I would have spent and just set it aside. What is the point in a home warranty and if they don't do what they're paid to do. This is a waste of money. DO NOT USE.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

My wife called for a service request for our garage door not working just after we got their coverage. They ask my wife, "How long has the garage door been broken?" My wife said she wasn’t sure, they then said, "Well we can fix it if the issue happen prior to the coverage be active." But the door stopped opening week after we got coverage. They are just after money. They will try to deny as many requests as possible. They are basically robbing people.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I called and reported a leaky faucet. They were quick to say I had a $75 trading fee and would be contacted by Allright Mechanical within 24 hours. When that did not happen, I left a message and continued to call until I reached them. Initially they were going to send a plumber in a week. When I complained that the water needed to be turned off to avoid other damages I was told I would be notified if a cancellation occurred. That happened the same day. A plumber arrived, pulled the downspout out and said it had calcification on it. This was not the leaky part. He did not take out a tool or inspect the faucet further. He said a follow-up appointment would occur and either the filter or entire faucet would be replaced and no additional service fee would occur. However, he had to collect the $75 fee to start the warranty process. He made notes on his phone and was gone within 10 minutes.

I called Old Republic in hopes of expediting the process and an hour later, I was told the faucet was not covered under my warranty, I needed to contact the manufacturer directly. If that was the case, I should have been told that information during my initial contact with Old Republic not 5 days later. Again, the plumber did not take out a tool or inspect the faucet where it was leaking. The water had been off for days! Do yourself a favor and don't buy this fake insurance. I paid $75 for absolutely nothing but frustration!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I called in and reported issues with 2 air conditioning units. Of course they were quick to say that I have a $75 trading fee, but they did not even hear (conveniently) that I have issues with 2 air conditioning units. They sent some loser company called MMAC the next week who refused to do both jobs because only one was reported... Now if I want to have the other air conditioner looked at (not even fixed), I have to pay another $75. Anyway I tried to call Old Republic while the mechanics were here but they were long gone and I was still on hold. So far over 1.5 hrs but still counting. Do yourself a favor and don't buy this insurance. You are better off just hiring someone on your own and pay out of pocket. It will save you a lot of headache and $75 for nothing!

Original review: July 31, 2018

We moved into a 8 year old house and purchased the home warranty. The washing machine went bad after 2 months. The company rep starts drilling us about providing the inspection report, were we aware if this was a known issues. I am thinking what the hell is going on here, is this the way a warranty company operates? Then 2 weeks later no contact from the independent contractor they assigned (he was on secret vacation hiding this info from ORHP), and I have to work through a supervisor. I scheduled a Sears repairman, because they could get a contractor to come, which seemed odd to me. This worked out, because I ultimately received a new washer. But, there was more to come.

The second issue I had was a vent pipe was leaking water from the attic. The questionable plumber "technician" looks at the leak and says that there was an issue with the plumbing design which he said was not proper, and that some of the claim may be disallowed. He wanted to charge $500 to run the drain through the basement cut out. I contacted ORHP and the REP stated that they agreed with this questionable plumber and would not cover anything. At this point, I wrote off ORHP and let the warranty expire. Note: I went to Lowe's, and spent $10 and fixed the leak myself, but was out the $100 visit from the "Idiot Plumber". There were several red flags with the "Plumber" provided and company Reps. It was pitiful. I did work with a supervisor on the first issue and felt that she resolved the washer issue in good faith. Otherwise, company reps are poorly trained to assist their customers and work on our behalf instead of an "Adversarial" position.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I have had this warranty for a year and a half. I just canceled it 'cause they have no one in my area to come and repair a broken water line. I drove 1 hour to a Home Depot. Got the part and fixed it myself. Why do we pay for something they can't supply when we pay for it then they make you go online to cancel and when I called three days later to see if it's been cancelled and my payment has been refunded they say it takes time. It sure don't take time for them to take their payments from our accounts. This is one warranty I would not recommend.

Original review: July 23, 2018

Me and my husband purchased our home 7 months ago. We purchased a home that was built in 1976, so it was important for us to have a home warranty. My mom is a real estate agent and had sold thousands of warranties with Old Republic. About 2 months ago we woke up one morning and our house was almost 80 degrees and not cooling off. We have a 6 month old baby (4 months old at the time), so we immediately called Old Republic to request that someone come and look at our AC Unit. It was a Saturday morning, and we were told no one could help us till Monday, even after informing them we had a 4 month old child living in our home. It took us almost a week to get anyone out to our home, and the first company they sent didn't even do HVAC. They were a handyman company.

Once we showed how frustrated we were they allowed us to have our own HVAC person come out. Fast forward, we have now had 3 different HVAC specialists at our home and 2 certified electricians. We have determined that our AC unit is pulling a lot more power than it should, which is causing it to trip our breaker. Old Republic just keeps trying to send out additional technicians every time we call. They won't give us a straight answer, and just keep telling us they have to send out a new person. We've had 5 different people out a total of 6 times, and they still want to keep sending out individuals. Despite the fact that they have been told if we replaced the unit it would stop tripping the breaker.

Old Republic refuses to do anything until someone can tell them what is making it do that. But no one can figure it out. Now we are so beyond frustrated, it's been almost 2 months, and we need this issue fixed before it causes additional issues. So we are now paying the $2500 to replace our unit, even though we have a home warranty in place. Not to mention every time I've called their company the people I talk to tell me I am wrong and I don't know what I'm talking about. They are rude, refuse to let me talk to a manager, and tell me I'm impossible to work with. I'm pretty sure letting 5 individuals come to my home over and over again is being pretty patient. I would NEVER recommend anyone ever use this company. I cannot believe the level of terrible customer service we have received.

Old Republic Home Protection expert review by Michele Lerner

Old Republic Home Protection has been in business for more than 40 years. Founded in 1974 as Dependable Home Warranty, which provided services only in California, the company joined Old Republic International in 1982 and has been expanding the number of states it serves annually.

• Enhanced coverage: Unlike most home warranty companies, Old Republic covers repairs or replacements even if the problem is due to lack of maintenance, rust or an unknown pre-existing condition.

• Customer satisfaction: Old Republic conducts weekly random surveys of their customers to provide an additional check on their service providers.

• High coverage limits: Old Republic covers the repair or replacement of most items up to $1000 to $1500 per year; kitchen refrigerators are covered up to $2500.

• Delayed coverage: While the warranty program goes into effect immediately if it’s purchased during a real estate transaction, the coverage is delayed for 30 days after payment if a homeowner purchases it.

• Cancellation fee: While there’s no penalty for cancelling within the first 20 days, after that, customers will pay a 10% penalty in some states.

• Best for: home sellers, first-time homebuyers and real estate agents.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
    Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

Old Republic Home Protection Company Information