1.25/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution
Looking for a home warranty company?
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Old Republic Home Protection

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 13, 2017

585 Old Republic Home Protection Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

Called ORHP for a refrigerator repair. Temperature wasn’t right and turning dial wasn’t helping. Also had a small leak at the water & ice dispenser. 8/22/17 an appliance repair company came to repair. He said he knew exactly what the problem was. Thermostat was out and we were in luck, just happened to have one In his truck. He replaced it. He also turned The temp up 1/4 by in the fridge side. Not sure what he did to fix the leak in the water & ice dispenser. I was busy somewhere else in the house.

Later that evening we noticed our milk and other items in fridge were frozen. Tried to turn down the fridge temp but knobs wouldn’t turn very easy. Also had water in kitchen floor. Mopped up a few times. Called him the next morning and he told us he forgot to tell us to run a couple of gallons of water thru it due to there was air in the lines. We ran 12 large pitchers of water through. Still leaking. Called ORHP and asked for a different repair company since now we were having more problems than before we called. We pulled the fridge out and turned off the water to stop the puddles since it would be a few days before the other company could show up.

The other company came on Sept. 9th. Said the first company put in the wrong thermostat and also broke the line going to the filter. That is why it had the leak. They had to order parts. After a couple weeks of buying bags of ice and bottles of water, we called the repair company. Seems like they forgot to order the part. By now we have had to throw out some of the food due to not freezing in the freezer and freezing in the frig. On 10/6/17, we heard a loud banging noise coming out of the freezer. We noticed the freezer wasn’t freezing at all. Called the company and was told the parts would be in on Monday the 12th of Oct. By Saturday we had to throw out everything in the fridge & freezer.

Monday they showed up, tried to fix, had to go get another part. Put it in and it blew something else. Tried for awhile and came in and said it was unfixable. They would contact ORHP. We called ORHP Tuesday to check on and was given the runaround. It had to go to purchasing to calculate all the parts needed to repair it versus replacing it. I am so lost with as long as this has taken and everything that has happened~~~.

But as of Thursday night Oct. 12th, after making the first call on August 22nd, needless to say, we have nothing taken care of and got no return call from a supervisor today. Now we will just go buy a fridge and will have wasted the $575.00 we spent on the warranty. They outlasted us. ORHP 1 Homeowner 0. I do not recommend the frustration!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

As a Realtor, I recommend this company to all my sellers and buyers. I maintain this warranty platinum edition on my personal home - renewing annually. Since August of 2014 when I began coverage on my retirement home, I have saved $2700 in repairs (not including recent HVAC repairs). Most recently in July I had the HVAC compressor & evaporator replaced for $165. My neighbor had the same issue 5 months earlier and paid $3500 in repairs. I recommend the seller's warranty coverage on every listing which converts automatically converts to buyer's coverage at close of escrow. A trade fee call of $65 is all I pay toward each repair service. I wouldn't be without it.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

Save your money and do not get a home warranty through Old Republic. They are the absolute worst. I don't think I have ever been so dissatisfied with a company. They cover nothing! They ask you to diagnose the problem before sending someone out to your house. Hello! If I could tell you the problem and fix it myself, I wouldn't be calling for someone to fix it. We will not renew.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

Just relocated and moved into our newly purchased home. My wife and I had a few items on our repair "punch-list" that required a plumber and electrician. Once connected to the service agent, he began leading me down a path that I didn't like. I knew he was setting me up for something... He kept asking "When did that plug last work? When did the toilet not rock back-forth?" I advised I really don't know as I just moved in 2-weeks ago. He took great pleasure in DENYING every item as they do not cover pre-existing conditions. A huge waste of money for our sellers. SKIP Old Republic and just hire a good electrician/plumber.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

I purchased a small 900 square foot home in Dec. 2016. It's a single story in Las Vegas NV. The prior owners purchased this home warranty plan good for a year. The AC went out around 9/12/2017. I called Old Republic Home Warranty and they sent someone out. The person never came in the house. He looked at the compressor and said it was new. The house was 88 degrees at 6:00 PM. He put Freon in and closed up the very small AC. Overnight the house cooled down to 78. Worked one day then stopped. I called the contractor back told him it stopped working so he came back a couple days later.

This time he said that the compressor was installed incorrectly. He said the filter dryer was not changed out. He said he would notify Old Republic that it was installed wrong. He then proceeded to play around with the connector and it caught fire. By now I'm getting fed up so I told him to email me what parts need to be replaced and how much it will cost. I asked for him to email me because he was from another country and very hard to understand. He never emails anything to me but I get a call from good Old Republic Home Warranty telling me that since it was installed improperly that it wouldn't be covered at all.

I called another AC company to get a second opinion but they couldn't test the AC because the connector was burned out from the last repair guy. I'm now waiting to get a new connector so this other company can give me a 2nd opinion. This company is rude and worthless. The girl that called me to inform me that it wouldn't be covered had a very bad attitude. She might have been tired from maybe marching with BLM. She constantly interrupted me and said if I read the small print on pg. 8 I would see why they wouldn't cover it. I told her that since they weren't going to cover the AC then I wanted to cancel the warranty which the prior owners paid for and is now mine since I purchased the home. She said it had to be in writing and that I may or may not get a partial refund.

Let me tell you, this company isn't worth a stamp. For anybody thinking about a home warranty please look at all these negative reviews. I'm sure most companies like this one are rip offs just out to get your money. They work with their own vendors who make in my case $65.00 or more to show up at your house for a few minutes and usually find a reason to void your warranty. Glad it wasn't my $315.00. I will be doing more follow up on this when I get a new connector installed. Save your money so these crooks hopefully will go out of business.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Old Republic Home Protection?

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

My husband and I got a home warranty from Old Republic when we purchased a new home, and from the get-go, the company has been extremely difficult to work with. Most recently, our dishwasher stopped working. We called Old Republic, and they sent someone to repair it. This repairman explained that the issue was with the breaker box, and he said an electrician would need to come to fix that. After more than a week or arguing with the company to send an electrician, someone finally came. He let us know that our entire breaker box really needed to be replaced, but he said Old Republic was much too cheap to do it, so he proceeded to replace only the single broken breaker.

The next day, our pool pump wouldn't work, so after arguing with Old Republic yet again, they sent someone to repair the pool pump. He informed us that it was the breaker box again. Apparently, the electrician who replaced the dishwasher breaker broke the pool pump breaker. Since he wasn't an electrician, he couldn't repair it. So we found ourselves again arguing with Old Republic to send another electrician. We paid the dishwasher repairman $75, the first electrician $75, the pool pump repairman $75, and now Old Republic wants us to pay the second electrician $75!!! All this and they won't even let the second electrician replace the breaker box - they are only clearing him to repair the breaker the other electrician broke!!! You can't make this stuff up!!! We plan to cancel our service with Old Republic and hire a reputable electrician to replace the breaker box. Old Republic is a terrible company with zero interest in serving its customers!!!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I recently had a problem with my HVAC system, which was covered under my home warranty. I have been a victim of the good old bait and switch by this unscrupulous company. After being told on the phone by the CSR what they would pay toward the repair, I received reimbursement that was 50 percent less than I had verbally been promised. When I questioned the discrepancy with management, I was told there was no record of this nor would I be provided a copy of the recorded phone conversation. Shame on you Old Republic. My only recourse... recounting my experience with every social media and consumer review platform that I can access, not to mention contacting the many real estate professionals with whom I work to warn them and their clients about this company. Inexcusable. I have learned a valuable lesson... get everything in writing and record every phone conversation!!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I have had Old Republic Home Warranty for over 4 years. At first they were very helpful and easy to deal with. Not sure what happened in this last year but their customer service is one of the worst I have ever experienced. Not only do you wait on hold for over 30 minutes every time you call, the employees seem to just read off a script and don't even listen to you! I had a service request into them for a leaking toilet at my rental. They sent out a technician that knew nothing about a toilet leak. I will not mention the name of the company. He managed to crack the tank on my toilet while tightening a bolt. So the leak was terrible now opposed to a tiny drip. So Old Republic sent out another company and the technician looked at the toilet and said, "well whatever the guy did before me, cracked your toilet by tightening the bolt at the bottom of the tank beyond its capacity."

Soooo then Old Republic calls me and states they don't cover "cracked" toilets. I tried several times, again on hold for 30 minutes or more each time I called, to explain that it wasn't cracked in the first place! The technician you sent out cracked on the initial so called repair! They would not listen nor did they care! I will never contract with them again. Needless to say my toilet was cracked and leaking due to the incompetent company THEY sent out, now they wouldn't cover that expense, I had to pay $325. for a new toilet install the next day since my tenant needed her toilet!

I called the following day and cancelled my contract that I renewed with them for the 4th year, only having 5 months in and asked for a reimbursement for the remaining 7 months. They said, "Oh yes we will send you $57.!" I paid $625. for the year and had 7 months left! That is some serious fuzzy math! I left more messages, only to have more people call me back that read the same script that I had heard every time before. They want you to get so frustrated that you just drop your dispute. DO NOT USE OLD REPUBLIC! THE WORST!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I had been calling the warrant company to send someone out to see what was wrong with my ac and they sent a company out that at first told me that the ac need cleaning so I did that and paid out of my pocket then the ac was still not cooling. I called the company - no answer. The warrant company called the company no answer. Then they finally answered and they went back out and said that it was totally something different wrong. It need antifreeze so they put that in. Gave it a few days and still not working. The same company came out and said that it was the coils this time and that it would go out soon.

Told the warrant company and they said have to wait until it go out. Okay cool. About week later the same company goes out there and tells the company that someone has been messing with the outside unit and it not wear and tear. So I tell the warrant people why would someone mess with the ac in Texas heat. They tell me that they will not be paying to replace the ac because someone messed with it. And didn't even listen to me but to the same company that didn't answer their calls at time and they even had to get the manager to email the ac company. Worst company and I had been with them for almost 14 years.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

I closed escrow on my home Sep 1st. I had a full inspection done. I made my walk thru the day the sellers moved out Aug 30th, all appliances were in working conditions. I used the dishwasher the day I moved in Sep 1st, did 3 or 4 loads and it was working fine. On Sep 2nd I notice that the floor next to the dishwasher was wet, I opened the dishwasher and I notice 3 to 4 inches of water sitting there. I decided to run another circle and still not filtering the water, I called Old Republic on Sep 3rd around 1145a MST.

I spoke to an agent called Jennifer who refused to give me a last name. I tried to explain what happens and She will cut me off with questions that I answer like "did you get an inspection done, when did you close escrow," without letting me explain exactly what happened. She told me that they won't take my order. When I asked why she replied that because the policy started on the first the dishwasher could be broken before it went in to effect. I explained that I used it several times the 1st and the second, she replied, "you never said that before." She didn't let me explained when I try to talk she just questioned. I asked for a supervisor, she told me that she was. Trained enough and didn't need one, I hung up and try to talk to someone else.

I got a guy named Alex this time, He let me talk and I explained my situation. He told me that Jennifer notated my account and that because of this he couldn't take the order, that next Tuesday he will call after he speaks to a manager and the manager listen to the call. I work in real estate for a Bank and I let Alex know that my realtor and clients will know what a horrible service they provide and will cancel the policy to go with another company. If this happen with a dishwasher I don't want to think what would it happen if the issue was my A.C. I'm very disappointed will not recommend Old Republic to anyone. They wouldn't even give me an order number.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

We got a home warranty because our broker insisted on it and got the seller to pay for it. I did my homework online and ORHP had BAD reviews, American Home Shield and some other companies had better reviews but it look a little too 4-5 star compared to other companies. Back to my topic ORHP. I've been with ORHP for almost 4 years now and I must say I'm satisfied. First of all guys you need to do your homework and read the fine print, what's covered and what's not, it HELPS A LOT when talking to a rep to make a warranty claims and working through. First let me say what all I've had claims since I bought the house. Within a few months our Gas cooker knob got stuck. Called ORHP. They sent someone, tried to fix it, couldn't fix it. They gave me a cashout offer that I took and got it replaced with a brand of my own choice and I decided to upgrade.

About a year into the house the garbage disposal broke, called ORHP. They sent someone to replace it. At first he got a really cheap replacement. THIS IS WHERE DOING YOUR HOMEWORK HELPS. The fine print in my contract (the whole contract is JUST 3 PAGES so yes PLEASE READ IT) said they will replace it with an equivalent model or superior model. I called ORHP and told the rep (very calmly, they are very polite if you're polite) that the contracts says, same, similar or better. Since my garage disposal was over 10 years old, but a premium brand they upgraded me to a premium model and had it replaced in a few days. YES, EVERYTHING TAKES A FEW DAYS, so please don't complain. Just build it into your plan and you'll be happier about it.

A few month later my garage door opener light stopped working. I happen to an engineer so I did a little checking and found one of the relays on the circuit board fried. Back to the contract, it said it will NOT cover Light Bulbs but it DOES cover circuit boards. Again I spoke to ORHP explained that the Circuit board is faulty AND NOT the bulb or the socket. A few minutes of conversation and they agreed to replace it. Same things as earlier, they got me a Contractor Model, I pointed out that I had a premium grade model installed, so they upgraded me to a the next level (this took some convincing but they agreed in the end). A year later the second garage door opener had a similar problem with the circuit board and they ended replacing it, this time with some conversation with a model better since the older model was no longer manufactured.

A few month later in winter my water boiler started leaking, called them up, they sent someone. Similar conversation, same model or better models, did my homework asked about the model numbers compared them and was happy they had picked a good model. Now I was hit with a charge of $600 for doing the work from my end. This really pissed me off at first and likely everyone I was in denial. Then my level head kicked in and I got into the economics of it and the contract.

The contract very cleared stated that they will NOT cover any modification required and code violations. With my house being 20+ years old and most of the equipment with it, yes it didn't adhere to modern code. My issue was with the fact that the contractor was charging me 3x-5x of what someone else would charge me for the same work. But if I decided not to go with him/her, then I had to cash out. The problem with cash out is that it barely covers the cost of the equipment. That's because ORHP has LOTS of buying power and HUGE discounts which we cannot get. So say they said the cashout value of my boiler was $600.

If I went to Lowe's it would cost me about $550-$600 to get a new one similar model. Then an installer would charge me another $800 to install it and the parts etc. With ORHP I had to pay $600 over what they were paying the contractors and I now understand why. They pay the contractors SO LITTLE money for the labor that the contractors only make money by charging you back for it. So they literally paid the contractor $200 for $800 worth of work. So contractor had to charge me the difference $600 to make up for it and they billed it under code violation (e.g. a air tank for $125 where it costs someone else $25). Now that's the trade off. You need to read your print. They were in the right, I have to pay for code violations and modifications but at the end you'll end up paying less than going outside.

Now my AC starting giving trouble and wasn't cooling. NOW I was worried, from everything I've read on these forums. I called them up. They sent someone, he came and said I had a leak my ancient evaporator coil. Same rigmarole, they would charge me $500 for the code violations and modifications. I did the math. To replace the R-22 in my system and a new coil (they gave me a Lennox, I had a carrier originally, again pleased, good quality), and get it all fixed would cost me about $1500-$1800 on the market.

I read the fine print, they covered everything they said they will cover. So the guy got paid $200 from them + $500 from me and they probably paid about $1000-$1100 for the R22 and equipment. I was IMPRESSED! They paid for the repair and I almost half didn't expect them to do it. Again I went through multiple rounds here, called in an expert for an alternative opinion etc. It took 2 weeks to get it all done, but it's peak summer and everyone's busy. But I MUST say they were responsive, even more than the contractors sometimes, answered all my 1000 questions and we all kept our cool.

Guys things take time, read the print, you WILL pay something out of pocket. READ YOUR AGREEMENT, I can't stress this enough. You will get more headway by referring to an agreement than by shouting at them. I know people have bad experiences but after 4 years I can positively say it's a mismatch of expectations. There are some VERY BAD home warranty companies out there what I've heard of from the technicians over the years but ORHP is among the best and I can vouch for it.

Three rules. 1. Thing take times, days to weeks depending up on the load, plan for it. They are helpful, if it's your only AC in the house they will prioritize it, if you have 3 they will tell you it'll take a few days. FYI they got my parts ordered in 2 days flat! 2. Expect to pay something, READ YOUR CONTRACT, negotiate with facts and be ready to pay something. The contracts will ding you, but you'll pay less in the end than going out on your own. Again read your contracts and your limits. I have seen very few limits in ORHP's contracts, whereas others that I've read are far more harsh. So do your homework. 3. Do your homework and read your contract. Do you have a reasonable conversation with ORHP. They are really nice and knowledgeable people, but if you shout they will cut you off. Have a decent conversation, they even helped me figure out how to negotiate with the contractors for non covered charges!

If you haven't heard it enough, here's one more time, read your contract and set your expectations. Then relax and enjoy! Thanks for reading all this and I hope it's been helpful. PS - One last thing, my BIGGEST complaint with ORHP is that they ONLY give a 30 day warranty on their products and work. They should give the standard 1 year. 30 days is just pathetic, often it takes more for trouble to crop up due to a bad install but then it's past 30 days and you need to pay another trade fee.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

STAY AWAY from Old Republic! 3 weeks after moving into our new home the AC stopped working. Old Republic sent out a repair company which didn't fix the problem until an entire week later. Having no AC in July in Florida led to health issues and mold problems within our new home. They wouldn't even supply us with a temporary window AC unit while waiting for parts. Now our oven isn't working and they won't fix the problem because the parts needed by their contractor can be obtained cheaper elsewhere. Therefore we now have to wait for at least 2 weeks to have this issue fixed!? Find another company for your home warranty. It really can't get worse than this one!!!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I've had three warranties with this company at the recommendation at the real estate agent. Worst advise ever. I will no longer use that agent. Old Republic will deny your claim and if you're lucky enough to fight enough to get them to do anything on your claim they send you to companies that go out of business after they do the work. But not before that company charges you a significant amount of money. They won't return calls!!!! I've left 8 messages in 2 days!!!!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2017

I have Old Republic for home warranty coverage. I don't plan on having them much longer. They don't honor their coverage. They drag their feet when a claim is submitted. They are happy to take your premium. But when you need them, they run for cover and deny everything. Do yourself a favor. Don't use them. Better to pay out of pocket yourself because you will end up doing so anyway. For the record, I had a plumbing issue that went denied.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

I ordered the Platinum plan in May of this year. The plan was $975.00 which includes pool repair. I made a service request on August 8th. A service tech didn't arrive at my house until August 12th. When he did arrive, he discovered that I need a new pool pump. He then said that it would take 14 days because the warranty company will only allow them to order through their vendors. I informed him that the delay would cause my pool to turn green from the excessive heat, and in 2 weeks, I would have to pay someone to empty my pool, refill and sanitize which would cost me approximately $500.00 in expenses. I then called a local pool supply company and they informed me that they had several pumps in stock.

When I shared that information with the service tech, he apologized and said he wasn't allowed to use any other vendor, even with the extenuating circumstances. I then called Old Republic and asked them if my pool person could replace the part. They authorized $325.00 to my pool person, and Old Republic authorized $600.00 to their service tech. BEWARE. This fiasco hasn't only caused me stress, over 8 hours of phone time, hours of waiting on hold with Old Republic (when you call, the average wait time to speak with someone in the service department is 35 minutes to an hour), but is also going to cost me money to have the pool drained, cleaned and sanitized!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

Don't waste your money or your time with this terrible company. After paying the first $100 service fee for my AC repair, which immediately needed the same thing repaired again, not only did I then have to pay another service fee, but they also decided that the repair wasn't a covered repair. This cost me another $500+ on top of all the service fees. And I paid that homeowner's warranty premium for what???

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

Home we purchased came with a one year plan. We called for three different items in first 9 months. They fixed one of these problems. They have loopholes for the big ticket items. We had a problem with the pool heater that had been working and obviously been there for years. The technician they send over says it's installed incorrectly, not covered, and here's an estimate for almost $4000.00. Old Republic Home Protection then sends us a $55.00 bill for the trade call. I can get a free heater estimate from any company. It was in the technician's best interest to say it was installed incorrectly. This is a scam, very shady!!!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

This company OLD REPUBLIC is a joke. Purchased home a few months ago. A/C went out and they refuse to cover. Saying the ducting was not the correct size which it was completely wrong. They said ducting airflow was 13" when it was 19". This is really poor company not recommended at all.

Original review: July 22, 2017

We had an AC guy come out that the inspector recommended for our new home. He said he needed to some repairs and would come back. The cost would be about $350.00. We called OR to use our home warranty instead for the first time. First company cancelled after 5 days of no AC so we had to wait another day for a second company. When the guy shuffled in he said the only problem was it needed more Freon. I was like, "That doesn't seem normal, I usually don't have to add Freon to my AC unit." His response was basically, ..."Oh, well. That will be $100.00." And you pay just to get them to leave. Where does the Freon go???

Original review: July 20, 2017

The compressor on our AC went out. Initially they said they would cover the claim but called back to say the manufacturer has a lifetime warranty on the compressor, so they would not cover it. The problem is, the manufacturer only covers the part - no labor, Freon or replacement vent required for repair. They said they won't cover any of that since it's related to the compressor, even if the manufacturer won't cover it. So I paid $595 for the plan, with a $100 service call fee to end up paying $900 out of pocket in repair labor and expenses. BEWARE if any of your covered appliances have a manufacturer's warranty on any part, and this part fails, you are stuck paying the entire repair bill yourself. Manufacturer's "warranty" is not always synonymous with "free repair." You are stuck paying labor and any related parts that need to be replaced in the process.

Old Republic Home Protection will do NOTHING to help you. It's a loophole that most people are not aware of, and you won't find this out until the unit fails. They won't help you contact the manufacturer and order the part either. You are on your own. Terrible company and you are better off putting that money in the bank each year and saving it for repairs yourself.

Original review: July 19, 2017

This company is a joke. Purchased home a few months ago. A/C went out and they refuse to cover. Saying animal urine ruined the unit and it's a pre existing condition. I don't have any pets. Scam scam scam.

Original review: July 19, 2017

This company sells a home warranty with vaguely worded coverage. Their home warranty plan lists that they will cover a refrigerator but they fail to distinguish between the many different types of refrigerators. Their competition is very specific in listing the different types of units including all designs and specifically covering all types as long as they are located in the kitchen. Old Republic and their competition specifically exclude "additional units" that are not in the kitchen. They are refusing coverage for my freezer because it's designed as 2 separate units but they will pay to replace an entire unit based on a broken freezer IF it is attached to the refrigerator even if the function of the refrigerator is not degraded.

The fact that they did not distinguish between the multiple types of refrigerators should mean that my unit is covered simply because they cover all other units that are not distinguished in their plan. Their customer service manager, Pam, hung up the phone on me today then they blocked me from being able to communicate with them on Facebook because I posted my question publicly. This was only done after they hung up on me for asking a question directly related to the reasoning they listed for denying my claim. All of this occurred after they attempted to deny my claim for a bogus reason that the internal thermal shell was not covered. It took me calling the manufacturer to find out that the internal thermal shell was simply the plastic inside the unit. That is not broken.

My freezer won't freeze and that is supposed to be the reason that people purchase these plans. I don't believe that Old Republic is acting in good faith and I believe that the intent and spirit of their plan never meant to exclude my freezer. I read the plan as excluding "additional" refrigerator or freezer and that makes sense. But this is not an additional unit. It's my only freezer and it's in my kitchen.

Original review: July 19, 2017

We purchased a warranty policy with the purchase of a home. After 30 days issues began to arise. We had trouble with the dishwasher, water softener and swimming pool. The company did send someone to repair the dishwasher, but after two services calls was unable to repair the unit. The unit needs to be replaced and the company will not provide a settlement for replacement and only wants to continue making repairs which are clearly unproductive. The water softener is not functioning and the swimming pool actuator for the filter system is in need of repair. The company claims neither of these are covered, although it is clearly stated in the policy that they are. I would not recommend purchasing a warranty policy from this company, they do not stand behind their product.

Original review: July 18, 2017

Terrible experience. Check recent complaints with the Better Business Bureau before buying this warranty. I made a service request for a pipe leak, weeks before my warranty renewal. No contractor was assigned. After a few days I received an email that said they would not renew my warranty and a call that they would cancel my service request if I did not call them. I called them and was told my service request had already been canceled. I made a new request with two weeks left on my contract. They sent me a Plumber who said I had a pipe leak, but he didn't repair slab leaks. I called and they sent another plumber High Priority Plumbing who would not give their price before the job to jackhammer the slab and repair it.

An ORHP rep told me don't pay The plumber. ORHP would bill me an extra $1250 over my $500 to do the job. NO OTHER TRADE FEES. Upon completion the plumber Justin of High Priority Plumbing demanded a check for $1265 and had me call ORHP. The ORHP rep said, "Pay the man and you will owe NO OTHER TRADE FEES." Two weeks later I received two trade call fee bills in the mail. I called ORHP and still I received a bill for one trade call fee. I called again and they said it was resolved. After one month the pipes burst in two places and the ORHP warranty was gone. The plumber Justin would not fix anything without more money, and ORHP sent me a collection letter for their trade call fee. Good luck.

Original review: July 18, 2017

Three months after I moved into my home, my refrigerator, which was less than 5 years old, stopped working. They sent a company out. The fan was replaced. It began working again. Okay. $100 out for the service, but fine. Five months later, the fridge stopped working again. Over the course of two weeks, two different techs replaced the motherboard, which didn't work, then broke the seal system to find that there was no refrigerant, put more in and resealed the fridge. Finally, this started it working again. For a week and a half.

Between the deductibles, replacing food, and work that had to be done to get the fridge accessible, I was out about $600. At this point, they sent out the previous tech, who looked at it and was like, "Well, the refrigerant is gone again, which has caused the compressor to die." Since the tech told them the refrigerant leak was unfixable, they finally agreed to replace it. I had by now rented a refrigerator, so that I wouldn't have to live without one for another two weeks or more. That and replacing food again brought me up to about $850.

They offered to give me the latest model of what I had--which, no thanks, it's clearly a crap fridge--or cash me out for "the remainder allowed on the fridge”. From this, I get that basically, they subtract what they spent trying to fix the fridge--despite me repeatedly trying to get them to just replace it as there was clearly something very wrong--from the sum total of replacing it. I took the cash out offer. After they'd confirmed all my information, they called me to say that they had made a mistake and that the cash offer was actually $70 less than what they'd told me. Since I had accepted their offer, I informed them that this was a breach of contract, but that I also knew that without hiring an attorney and spending a bunch of money, I wasn't going to get them to behave as they should.

The contact person grudgingly stated that they would look into getting the $70 paid on "goodwill" since "it was only $70”. And sure, it is. But I will have spent about $1000 on this situation since it started. Roughly about $600 of which was completely avoidable, so the $70 kind of matters to me. Basically ** customer service. They do not care about you, and good luck getting any actual value out of the warranty.

Original review: July 17, 2017

They would not find anyone to repair my LG refrigerator. Said that no one was in their system to repair in my area so I would have to do it and they would reimburse me for the expense. I wanted to help ORHP to save money and be as helpful as possible by getting LG warranty to pay as much as possible, if possible. I went through LG and finally got it repaired after 6 weeks. LG warranty only paid for parts which I had to pay just under 1K for labor. When I went to get reimbursed from ORHP they refused and told me that since the LG was cover under warranty that they did not have to reimburse me. They knew this all along and had plenty of opportunities to reveal this information. This was their plan from the start and a complete cover up. I could have just hired someone to fix it regardless of the cost and stuck it to them. I felt that was not the right thing to do. Unfortunately, ORHP is not honest, forthcoming and does not care about doing the right thing. If you have ORHP or considering them, then you should know this beforehand and now consider yourself, forewarned.

Original review: July 17, 2017

I bought a home warranty (Platinum Policy, their best) from this company when I bought my house. Two months later, I called them to replace a valve. Two teenagers showed up at my house and told me they can't do the job and left. After many many calls to the plumbing company who is in bed with Old Republic (Lakeview Plumbing), I was not getting anywhere. Then I started calling Old Republic. I was put on hold for almost an hour, then hung up on. After many experiences like this, I was told that they will not cover the job and hung up on me. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY. THEY TAKE YOUR MONEY, GIVE YOU THE BIGGEST RUN AROUND AND DO NOT HONOR THEIR CONTRACT. If they would allow me to give less than one star, I would. I may be out $700, but I am all over the internet telling people about my experience. I think it has cost them more than that in business.

Original review: July 15, 2017

This company has the worst customer service. Our Ac went out and it is near 100 degrees here. They never could schedule a technician. Apparently they subcontract all their tickets and have no actual technician that work for them. They could not come till 4 days later. UNACCEPTABLE! I have a baby and they had no compassion about the hot temperature for her. Their exact words, "Get a fan". Who says that to a customer? You pay for this contact and get NOTHING. Needless to say I had to schedule my own service company and now they refuse to pay for it. Not sure how this company is still in business after all the reviews I have read!

Original review: July 14, 2017

I contacted Old Republic in April 2017 about what appeared to be a water leak coming from my downstairs a/c air handler. They dispatched a shady, "Mom and Pop" company to come out and survey the situation. I paid $75 for them to come out (deductible). They diagnosed the situation as "faulty condensation pump, needs coil, needs freon". It was determined that these issues were covered, and they were supposed to come back out and fix it. They never came. I tried calling the contractor repeatedly, and never received an answer or reply. Two and a half months have gone by, the situation still is not fixed. Now, my upstairs A/C is not working correctly.

I called them back, only for them to say that they couldn't contact the contractor either and they were transferring my claim to another contractor. I asked when this would be done, because it's been two months. The rep rudely told me that "they would get to it when they got around to it," and that "I'm not the only person needing service". I asked to speak to a supervisor, which she refused to let me do. I was told I have two options: I can either wait until they get around to sending someone else out, or I can pay out of pocket and maybe they'll reimburse me. For being a supposedly reputable business, they sure don't act like one. My realtor chose this company. I did not.

Original review: July 12, 2017

New house purchase came with this "wonderful" warranty. What a joke. The AC quit after a month. Called to schedule a tech to look at it. Being in the height of summer it took 5 days to get the visit. Tech finds a leak but can't fix it right then because he has to wait for authorization. Well that took 5 more days and then only after I agree to pay $119 more for a "flush". It's a scam so far, with every service call requiring a $65 service fee. That's how they get you, forcing the payment of "extras" not covered to make up for the low entry cost of the plan.

Old Republic Home Protection expert review by Michele Lerner

Old Republic Home Protection has been in business for more than 40 years. Founded in 1974 as Dependable Home Warranty, which provided services only in California, the company joined Old Republic International in 1982 and has been expanding the number of states it serves annually.

• Enhanced coverage: Unlike most home warranty companies, Old Republic covers repairs or replacements even if the problem is due to lack of maintenance, rust or an unknown pre-existing condition.
    • Customer satisfaction: Old Republic conducts weekly random surveys of their customers to provide an additional check on their service providers.
    • High coverage limits: Old Republic covers the repair or replacement of most items up to $1000 to $1500 per year; kitchen refrigerators are covered up to $2500.
    • Delayed coverage: While the warranty program goes into effect immediately if it’s purchased during a real estate transaction, the coverage is delayed for 30 days after payment if a homeowner purchases it.
    • Cancellation fee: While there’s no penalty for cancelling within the first 20 days, after that, customers will pay a 10% penalty in some states.
    • Best for: home sellers, first-time homebuyers and real estate agents.
    Profile picture of Michele Lerner
    Michele Lerner

Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

Old Republic Home Protection Company Information