1.33/5

Save on a Home Warranty

648 Old Republic Home Protection Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

AVOID THESE UTTER CLOWNS!!! You have been warned. I have a home warranty with them, I called to make a claim for the sump pump not working which is covered in the warranty. Even though the warranty was covering the seller for the last few weeks and me (the buyer) they said they won't cover it as the house closing was today BUT for $100 they would send someone out (during the times I'm at work) to look at it NOT fix it, just look at it to tell me if it's working or not... the pump is in a foot of water, pretty sure that means it not working.

I've just got off my 5 the call with this clown show of a company because they transferred me to the wrong place which hung up after a pointless automated recording. It is painfully obvious with everyone I've spoken to they do not care in the slightest about the customer, not even a little. They are totally useless and I WILL be changing companies. DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I took out a home warranty in 2016. Cost was $550 + $100 for limited roof repair. In 2017, my water heater developed a leak. I called on a Wednesday, was told a service person would contact me. Two days later, received an email stating I had to find my own plumber, they had no one in my area. Called a plumber, he came out and said it definitely needed replacing. Old Republic said they would get back with me within 3-4 business days. I told me no way, this heater could burst and cause horrible damage. Fought with them most of the day until they relented and agreed to replace it that Friday. I had to pay upfront and wait for reimbursement. Later that year, I received my renewal and my policy had increased by $100 a year and my service call increased by $25.

2018; was having A/C problems in June in South Louisiana. Temps in the triple digits. Was told again; service guy would contact me. Two days later, no one in my area. I called a service company. After a very detailed conversation between the A/C guy and ORHP, he submitted an estimate. The unit was almost 14 years old and needed to be replaced. I called every day for 1 week, then was told they did not cover those brands. I had to start all over and get quotes from another company with the 3 approved brands. New service guy. Same conversations. It took 2 full weeks before they finally approved a new A/C that was actually more expensive than one of the original quotes!

I spoke to a supervisor who actually claimed certain things were not covered in replacing the unit and when I questioned him, he replied, "Do you need me to read the policy to you?" I told him I had it right in front of me and it did NOT say these items weren't covered. Great customer relations, right??? I had to do all the legwork, pay for the unit myself and wait for reimbursement. I felt that I was being penalized for the fact that they don't have service people in my area. No surprise, I have just received an email saying they will not renew my policy. No problem, I had no intention of renewing with them anyway after the crappy experiences with them! I don't know if all home warranties operate this way, but I definitely would never recommend Old Republic!

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

Old Republic denied our claim for Septic Line. $2800 dollars. Every time I speak to them, they have a different excuse as to why it's not being covered. Our 2nd claim was filed for our Washing Machine. They sent a Vendor that was horrible, his wife that handles customers actually hung up on me after saying SHE was closing my claim that had been approved, and my co-pay deposited. I only went with Old Republic because they said they covered Septic tanks and lines. They do not. There is a cap of $500 dollars on the actual tank, not disclosed when purchasing the policy. There are also caps on all appliance, AC/HVAC systems, also not disclosed.

We purchased this home warranty in April of 2018. Our Septic line from our washing machine clogged and we discovered it needed replacing. When I purchased the home warranty, the "sales" person was misleading. They also did not send us a "Disclosure of Coverage" until August 28th, months after we had paid them, and AFTER they denied our claim. I'm contacting the BBB, but Old Republic is not an accredited member. What they tell you upfront, isn't the end result when you file a claim. The Vendors they use are less than subpar. I tried to Google the Washing machine repair company, and couldn't find them.

I'm in a dispute with this company and intend to file against them in court. As they are in another State, my husband said our only chance is a class action lawsuit, with others joining us. Obviously there are many other people that have had a poor experience with this company. Please contact me at ** if you would like to join me in fighting this company!!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

When we bought our house our agent used Old Republic as the warranty company. Upon moving in we found the outlet to a washer wasn’t functioning, and called to get it fixed. They originally denied the request, so we complained to our agent. She spoke to them, and the representative said she thought we were trying to scam them! Our agent went to bat for us, and for $75 they came out and fixed it.

The next thing to break was our HVAC. We have spent roughly $100 every two months to fix it, one time paying an additional roughly $600. By the way, they upped our service fee to $100 after we got our agent involved in our initial request. Each time the reason for a new service fee is it is outside the 30 day warranty period. I’m really not happy with them, and my neighbors aren’t either. Each time our outside unit breaks, it makes a racket, and we tell our neighbors we have Old Republic Home Warranty coverage each time.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

My husband and I just purchased and moved into our home. Within our first week, a crack appeared at the bottom of our toilet and was leaking water every time we flushed. We only have one bathroom. I called Old Republic and asked if we were covered, the rep said yes and I would be contacted by All Right Plumbing by the next business day and we would have to pay the 75 fee. Never got called. I called them the following week and left a voicemail, never returned my call. Called them again and finally got an appt the following week. The guy saw our toilet and said a bolt was overly tightened and that caused the crack. Got a call from Old Republic the next day saying our service request is denied because the crack was not due to natural wear and tear.

I call them back and the rep was useless, just re-read the report to me. I told them this problem is new, we literally just moved in, our house passed inspection, it obviously happened because the toilet is over tightened and were obviously using it, why the heck would it not be covered. On our contract under plumbing, there is nothing that says they won’t cover a crack or a leak. I asked to speak to a supervisor who again told me we were not covered because this crack is not due to natural wear and tear and they do not cover “faulty installations or repairs” even though we did not do this repair or was aware of it. I don’t know why we have this home warranty, it is completely useless. Do not use them!!! They will find any little thing to not service you and obviously their choice of service companies are not good.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Old Republic Home Protection?

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I recently closed on a house and Old Republic is company used for the home warranty. After I moved in I noticed the AC unit was not functioning properly. When I called in they asked me when was the last time it worked. I told them I don't know and I just moved in, because of this they refused to cover the service. The company also informed me that the warranty was still under the seller's policy. Which I only mention because they say they would only cover it if there was a last known timeframe in which it worked. You would think common sense would be that one of the two policies should cover the service charge. They did do me a favor, because I own several homes and was considering putting policies on them, but after this experience it would be smarter to take would I would have spent and just set it aside. What is the point in a home warranty and if they don't do what they're paid to do. This is a waste of money. DO NOT USE.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

My wife called for a service request for our garage door not working just after we got their coverage. They ask my wife, "How long has the garage door been broken?" My wife said she wasn’t sure, they then said, "Well we can fix it if the issue happen prior to the coverage be active." But the door stopped opening week after we got coverage. They are just after money. They will try to deny as many requests as possible. They are basically robbing people.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I called and reported a leaky faucet. They were quick to say I had a $75 trading fee and would be contacted by Allright Mechanical within 24 hours. When that did not happen, I left a message and continued to call until I reached them. Initially they were going to send a plumber in a week. When I complained that the water needed to be turned off to avoid other damages I was told I would be notified if a cancellation occurred. That happened the same day. A plumber arrived, pulled the downspout out and said it had calcification on it. This was not the leaky part. He did not take out a tool or inspect the faucet further. He said a follow-up appointment would occur and either the filter or entire faucet would be replaced and no additional service fee would occur. However, he had to collect the $75 fee to start the warranty process. He made notes on his phone and was gone within 10 minutes.

I called Old Republic in hopes of expediting the process and an hour later, I was told the faucet was not covered under my warranty, I needed to contact the manufacturer directly. If that was the case, I should have been told that information during my initial contact with Old Republic not 5 days later. Again, the plumber did not take out a tool or inspect the faucet where it was leaking. The water had been off for days! Do yourself a favor and don't buy this fake insurance. I paid $75 for absolutely nothing but frustration!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I called in and reported issues with 2 air conditioning units. Of course they were quick to say that I have a $75 trading fee, but they did not even hear (conveniently) that I have issues with 2 air conditioning units. They sent some loser company called MMAC the next week who refused to do both jobs because only one was reported... Now if I want to have the other air conditioner looked at (not even fixed), I have to pay another $75. Anyway I tried to call Old Republic while the mechanics were here but they were long gone and I was still on hold. So far over 1.5 hrs but still counting. Do yourself a favor and don't buy this insurance. You are better off just hiring someone on your own and pay out of pocket. It will save you a lot of headache and $75 for nothing!

Original review: July 31, 2018

We moved into a 8 year old house and purchased the home warranty. The washing machine went bad after 2 months. The company rep starts drilling us about providing the inspection report, were we aware if this was a known issues. I am thinking what the hell is going on here, is this the way a warranty company operates? Then 2 weeks later no contact from the independent contractor they assigned (he was on secret vacation hiding this info from ORHP), and I have to work through a supervisor. I scheduled a Sears repairman, because they could get a contractor to come, which seemed odd to me. This worked out, because I ultimately received a new washer. But, there was more to come.

The second issue I had was a vent pipe was leaking water from the attic. The questionable plumber "technician" looks at the leak and says that there was an issue with the plumbing design which he said was not proper, and that some of the claim may be disallowed. He wanted to charge $500 to run the drain through the basement cut out. I contacted ORHP and the REP stated that they agreed with this questionable plumber and would not cover anything. At this point, I wrote off ORHP and let the warranty expire. Note: I went to Lowe's, and spent $10 and fixed the leak myself, but was out the $100 visit from the "Idiot Plumber". There were several red flags with the "Plumber" provided and company Reps. It was pitiful. I did work with a supervisor on the first issue and felt that she resolved the washer issue in good faith. Otherwise, company reps are poorly trained to assist their customers and work on our behalf instead of an "Adversarial" position.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I have had this warranty for a year and a half. I just canceled it 'cause they have no one in my area to come and repair a broken water line. I drove 1 hour to a Home Depot. Got the part and fixed it myself. Why do we pay for something they can't supply when we pay for it then they make you go online to cancel and when I called three days later to see if it's been cancelled and my payment has been refunded they say it takes time. It sure don't take time for them to take their payments from our accounts. This is one warranty I would not recommend.

Original review: July 23, 2018

Me and my husband purchased our home 7 months ago. We purchased a home that was built in 1976, so it was important for us to have a home warranty. My mom is a real estate agent and had sold thousands of warranties with Old Republic. About 2 months ago we woke up one morning and our house was almost 80 degrees and not cooling off. We have a 6 month old baby (4 months old at the time), so we immediately called Old Republic to request that someone come and look at our AC Unit. It was a Saturday morning, and we were told no one could help us till Monday, even after informing them we had a 4 month old child living in our home. It took us almost a week to get anyone out to our home, and the first company they sent didn't even do HVAC. They were a handyman company.

Once we showed how frustrated we were they allowed us to have our own HVAC person come out. Fast forward, we have now had 3 different HVAC specialists at our home and 2 certified electricians. We have determined that our AC unit is pulling a lot more power than it should, which is causing it to trip our breaker. Old Republic just keeps trying to send out additional technicians every time we call. They won't give us a straight answer, and just keep telling us they have to send out a new person. We've had 5 different people out a total of 6 times, and they still want to keep sending out individuals. Despite the fact that they have been told if we replaced the unit it would stop tripping the breaker.

Old Republic refuses to do anything until someone can tell them what is making it do that. But no one can figure it out. Now we are so beyond frustrated, it's been almost 2 months, and we need this issue fixed before it causes additional issues. So we are now paying the $2500 to replace our unit, even though we have a home warranty in place. Not to mention every time I've called their company the people I talk to tell me I am wrong and I don't know what I'm talking about. They are rude, refuse to let me talk to a manager, and tell me I'm impossible to work with. I'm pretty sure letting 5 individuals come to my home over and over again is being pretty patient. I would NEVER recommend anyone ever use this company. I cannot believe the level of terrible customer service we have received.

Original review: July 21, 2018

Worst warranty company ever!! This is mine and my husband first home and the since we moved in the AC has been broken. So we called this worthless company. They send someone out they say it's the compressor. So 2 weeks later they get the part in and "fix" the AC. Well it wasn't cooling my house at all! So I call them again they send someone out again. He says it's running fine. We gotta give it time to get all the humidity out of the house before it cools... so I said, "Alright. How long?" He said a week to a week and a half. Well time went by and still wasn't working!

Called again and they say we will get you second opinion and since it was going on for a month we were a priority... Haha don't ever think priority for this company means **! We didn't get picked up until 4 days later than were contacted for another 3 days then I had to call him and tell him he needed to come because this was ridiculous! Well he comes tells us what is wrong.

Well it was another 2 weeks before I got annoyed and called this piece of crap warranty company to see what was happening and they say no one has given them the report. I flip ** and they say they will call me as soon as they find out what is going on. Guess what! They didn't call us back. Surprised not me! So I gave it 3 days and then called them. They tell me they wont do anything till we say we will pay 475 dollars to replace secondary damage!!!

By now this has been going on for 2 months! I have told them from the beginning this was not working. But due to their ignorance and not doing their job this is damaged and apparently that isn't their problem. So we are trying to understand why we have to pay for this right. Then she says, "Wait this happened because of the part that we fixed broke again? Well than we can't cover this at all." It was an improper repair so it isn't their problem anymore. How is that possible?? We didn't pick the morons who installed that part wrong??? You did! And let this go on so long that it a bigger problem now! But yeah you guys mess up and want nothing to do with it! Worst company ever! If you want to just be run around with ** and be told they ain't covering it then this is the company for you!

Original review: July 12, 2018

Called the company on Saturday, July 7, to tell them my a/c unit was not working. They said they would send out a technician on Monday to fix it. (It was 107° that weekend. Temps varying in Las Vegas from 105°-108° this week.) The technician arrived, spent about twenty minutes, and came back to tell me my a/c was broken and needed a new compressor. We had to call Old Republic, because the tech was "new" and didn't know to call in.

Old Republic told us they needed to order the part (?) and get it to the a/c company to install. It is now Thursday, SIX DAYS after the a/c broke, and still no appointment for repair in sight. It has been in the high 100s° all week. My family and pets are suffering. We already had to buy a $400 portable a/c unit and take the pets to a pet hotel. Already costing us $700+, for a job that could have, and should have been fixed in one day. Absolutely ridiculous. After this is resolved, I'm switching companies and never using this trash again!

Original review: July 6, 2018

I cannot say enough terrible things about this company. The only shower in my home was stopped up and I called them to send a technician out. 4 days later I had not heard from the technician and decided to call them on my own. The number they gave me did not work, so I looked up the company online (no reviews on Facebook, Yelp, etc) on my own and called to leave a voicemail. 3 days later I heard from them to schedule an appointment for a week later. Like I said- the only shower in my house wouldn't drain and I couldn't wait another week. They said if I called my own contractor I could call when they had a quote and be told the reimbursement. I did that, had a plumber at my house same day - they said they would only reimburse $150 of the $320 bill. But I needed the work done and accepted. Fast-forward to my check in the mail - for only $75.

I have been arguing with them for days on the phone with call backs just to have them tell me that the woman on the call should have told me the $75 trade call fee would be taken from the $150. They admitted fault but said verbatim "You are not going to get another $75 from Old Republic." Absolutely terrible customer service & a pack of liars. They look at the facts, know they are in the wrong and do not care about their paying customers. Their contractors are also very obviously bottom level unknown probably one-man companies. Look at the customer review ratings, terrible. You are better off not having any home insurance than having Old Republic.

Original review: July 3, 2018

First off, I want preface this by saying I NEVER write online reviews. This is literally the first online review I have written, and I am 31 years old and spend a lot of time on computers. However, I feel it is very important that people do not use this company and so here I am. My wife and I are first time homeowners, and when picking a home warranty, we referred to our real estate agent. She gave us a list of 10 warranties, and to our misfortune, we picked the standard plan from Old Republic Home Warranty without first checking the reviews.

About 2 months after buying our house, our AC breaks down. Instantly, we call Old Republic to get this fixed. They send a tech out (which costs 75 dollars), and the tech gives us a quote for 1300 to repair the evaporator coil. We ask for Old Republic to cover the cost. However, they state that because this unit is under warranty (PARTS ONLY), they will not cover a dime. I argue that they should cover labor.

They point out the fine print that they don't have to cover anything if an item is under warranty. What this effectively means is that NOTHING in our home is covered, as our house is less than 5 years old and every appliance is under warranty. We then went and got a second opinion on the fix. The hilarious thing is the next company we had come out did not require a service fee, and also quoted a price 250 less than the first one. So if we just hadn't bought the home warranty, we would have saved 75 dollars from the service fee! So our home warranty actually ended up costing us MORE to have while also not paying a dime for our services.

Luckily for us, we had an inspector warranty on our home through residential warranty services. They worked with us and paid 500 from what our final cost was (1100). The 500 was the max that their plan covered. Though the situation didn't end up being ideal, I am thankful that we had the AC go out when it did. If it had happened a month later, we would have been stuck paying full cost.

The other thing that I'd like to do is explain how to cancel service with Old Republic Home Warranty. There is literally nothing online on how to do this. If you call to cancel, they send you to an automated voice (apparently if you're planning to stop using them they won't even talk to you) that tells you how to cancel. So the list is below. 1) You must send a written email (no other way to cancel than email) to cancellation@orhp.com. 2) The email must have your name, plan number, property address, reason for leaving, and refund address. 3) They will then call you back later to try to 'retain' your business. Don't be a fool. Cancel your service. 4) You will get a refund that is pro-rated with a 50 dollar 'service fee'. We both know the fee is just one last kick in the balls. I wish anyone who uses this company luck in canceling their service. Run far, far away!

Original review: June 26, 2018

We have several properties with Old Republic Home Warranty and removing all and going with Choice Home Warranty. We have experience crap service. They say they cover certain items, but believe me if there is any way for this company not to pay and require the homeowner to pay they will. We have waited over a month for service after approved. No one from their vendors or Old Republic reps keep you up to date. If you don't call them, don't expect them to all you.

We had an ice maker their vendor not only assaulted me verbally for being upset about how long it took them to repair the ice maker, they damaged the line and made us pay and additional $100 service call which Old Republic had no choice, but to credit the fee back.

The ice maker took 45 days to be fixed. A/C issue - took 3 weeks and the system broke again a week later. Plumbers won't snake the line if access is on the roof and wanted to charge me $650 to add access line in the bathroom. This list goes on and on... After one year with them, their unsatisfactory customer service, poor vendors and workmanship and all the unnecessary hassles of feeling like their vendors just want more money... We are running for the hills. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND FIND ANOTHER HOME WARRANTY COMPANY!!!

Original review: June 21, 2018

We bought our home almost a year ago with a home warranty from Old Republic. We have had issues with our heat pump and air handler. We called Old Republic and their service guys couldn't fix it and we still got to pay their price. After several service calls from other heat and air people and 5 different fixes, we finally were advised to buy a new unit. None of this was covered since we didn't use their guys. I have written them a letter with copies of all the repairs and the new unit and am waiting to hear back.

Original review: June 20, 2018

I wish I had read previous reviews before I renewed my policy. Seller provided policy for our first year, and we actually used it twice, service was good. $600 was pretty steep, but we opted to renew because we have an older home. Called yesterday for broken AC. I was told I would receive a call from “local” service provided by next business day. The company that called today is based in NC, and the first available appointment was 6 days out. I should preface this by saying that it is 100 degrees in SC... And their response was “sorry, that’s all we have.” I should also point out that the person that called could not have cared less.

I called warranty company back, and they basically said “it’s summer and it’s busy”. Funny that I was able to find a local service provider on my own that came out TODAY, and total repair was less than the $100 that I would have had to pay ORHP service provider. ORHP also told me they would of course not cover expense because I went out of network. Bottom line: Save your money, definitely not the “premier service experience” that they promise.

Original review: June 15, 2018

This policy came with the house I bought 2 1/2 years ago. Being concerned specifically about the air conditioner unit, which never sounded quite right to me, I renewed the policy with the platinum A/C protection. I read the policy carefully. All parts of the A/C are covered even if they need to be replaced. The time came that the blower motor needed to be replaced. Sorry, not covered. It is under Maytag's manufacturer warranty. I have placed about 7 calls over the last 2 1/2 years. It typically takes 3-7 days to get someone to come out and look at the issue. They charge you $75 and tell you it is not covered - whether they actually do anything for you or not, they charge you $75. Faucets - not covered. Bathtub - not covered. Dishwasher - covered, but not really in this case. A/C - even with the added A/C coverage - not covered. This policy is useless. The only thing this company does well is take my money!!

Original review: June 11, 2018

I have an active service request for a malfunctioning range which was opened a month ago. This unit was serviced and the oven ignitor was replaced enabling the oven to turn on, but the problem persisted in that the oven would not stay on. The technician who originally worked on the unit said that if there continued to be problems that the control board would be the next to be replaced. I called to initiate that service request and the part was supposed to be put on order on 5/21/18.

Then, apparently, a week later it was decided by someone at ORHP that the work was no longer authorized because there was a manufacturer’s warranty active. Two points: 1. I spoke to Kenmore today and they have no record of a warranty on this unit or at my address. Whoever determined that there was a warranty is very much mistaken. 2. They claimed that the 100$ deductible for service was not refundable even though it was them who decided after the fact that my unit wasn't covered when they already had a service ticket in process which was partially but not entirely resolved. This 100$ was a per issue fee and they have decided that it is appropriate to keep this fee even though they also decided not to fix the issue. True to form they behave like an insurance company and I will need to fight to be made whole.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I received a "free" home warranty with ultimate protection and air conditioner coverage. What a joke! This company doesn't do anything except charge you $65.00 to send a technician out and then tell you whatever you've called about isn't covered. I am 0-4 with trying to get repairs covered under their plan. It's a complete racket and a waste of time and money.

Original review: June 8, 2018

We purchased our home about a year ago and received a seller purchased warranty. About two weeks ago we put in a service call for one of the two HVAC systems in the house. The local company technician arrived midday the following day and promptly diagnosed significant problems with the system. He put the initial call into Old Republic and by the end of the day we had a commitment for not a repair but a completely new system. The only cost to us were environmental disposal fees and the replacement of some prior work that had not been done to code. The representatives with whom we spoke at Old Republic were always professional and helpful. Our new system has been timely installed as promised and we could not be more pleased with the service. Coincidentally our renewal notice arrived this month as well and we will be staying with Old Republic. After this experience, we would highly recommend them.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Bought a house that came with an Old Republic Home Protection warranty. The same month that we were about to renew, we had an issue with our oven where it wouldn't heat at all. The stovetop worked, but the oven would not. Called ORHP to get a repair, was informed that it would be a $65 service fee payable to the technician that came out, and was told the company name that would be calling me to schedule a repair date. All of that went easy and professional. A few days later, the local repair company (Battle Born Heating and Cooling) contacted me about a service date... unfortunately it would be another week-and-a-half before they could get to me.

I figured we could go two weeks without an oven, so I made the appointment. Fast forward to our appointment and then a very nice technician spends about an hour on the oven and cannot precisely give me a reason for its failure because there is no wiring diagram on the oven. Not his fault, nor either of the companies. He would need to do some research and get back to me in the next week. TWO-AND-A-HALF WEEKS later, the company finally calls to schedule me an appointment to repair a faulty gas valve... and THIS appointment wouldn't be for another week. The technicians show up, make the repair, call it good and leave. A couple nights later night my wife was using the oven and when she went to take the food out she almost passed out from the combination of gas and heat that billowed from inside the oven.

It was a Sunday, so nobody was there to answer at Battle Born Heating and Cooling, so I called ORHP to get another company to do the repair, but I was told that since the first company started it, that is who needs to complete it. I complained that they take weeks, not hours or days to schedule an appointment, and was told by ORHP that there wasn't anything they can do about it. As of this writing, it will have been over a month-and-a-half that we have not had a workable oven, and it still is not fixed. ORHP customer service was decent, but their policies and the companies they choose to utilize in the Reno area leaves a lot to be desired. Our ORHP warranty ran out just the other day, but I will not be getting another home warranty with ORHP.

Original review: May 19, 2018

We have held onto Old Republic coverage anticipating the day our pool equipment would finally break. Well, old age & wear and tear hit and lo and behold, Old Republic sent out a "technician" who couldn't even be bothered looking into our equipment far enough to see what the problem was. He gave a bogus cause and left. We called Old Republic and asked for another technician to be sent out which they refused. Needless to say, when you finally need a $2500 piece of equipment replaced, Old Republic refuses to honor their warranty. They just lost a customer who has faithfully spent over $1,200/year for 5 years in coverage fees as we won't renew our contract with them next month. Shame on you, Old Republic.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I've been with ORHP for the last 5 years. They were 5 star 5 years ago. Seems they've went down a star for each year I've been with them. Last 2 times I called they didn't have anyone for that in my area. "You can contract someone and we'll pay what we think they should charge." NAH. I'm done! I wouldn't suggest using ORHP to anyone.

Original review: May 14, 2018

Dishonest, deceptive and don't care about the fact when comes to a large cost, they blame the customer and says, this is sequential and not covered by warranty. I talked to an agent who believes that I am a liar. Their service provider came to my property twice. First time they came and broke something and didn't tell me. When I found that out, I called them, they came and told this Old Republic that it's broken whereas they broke it at the first time. I told the agent that they came to my property twice and first time broke it, and the agent said they file shows they only came once. I still have two invoices/notes with two different dates from the service provider. He didn't believe. Then I asked him if I can talk to his supervisor. He said sure, the supervisor will give me a call. Nobody called me. Then I called them again. Talked to another person, wasted another 30 minutes, and no results. So poor service, don't recommend anyone to use this company.

Original review: May 14, 2018

This home warranty was provided when I purchased my house. The day after closing we moved in and found that the toilet leaked so I called just to be told that they would not cover it because we hadn't occupied the dwelling over 24 hours. 1 month later I called because the outside electric wasn't working. They said they wouldn't cover it. I screamed and yelled and threatened to sue them if my house burnt down. They sent someone out! 6 months later I called... today... And told them that the water spigot outside developed a leak and wouldn't stop running and they told me that they wouldn't cover it because it was outside. PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY. HORRIBLE.

I asked about canceling the contract. They told me it would be a 50.00 cancellation fee. And transferred me to a recording that told you the steps to take and then they would see if they could resolve the issue! Is my faucet supposed to run continuously until they "see if they can resolve the issue". BAD JUJU. Hope they go out of business. Treat people bad and be dishonest... KARMA... BAD BUSINESS.

Original review: May 11, 2018

They don't follow up with trade calls, they don't care about their clients. Most importantly, they RIP PEOPLE OFF. They take money for an estimate that would have been free. Stay clear of this company of all costs.

Original review: May 1, 2018

As a real estate agent I have referred many to ORHP over the years and have personally used them for my properties. However, it appears that the level of Edwin, **, a customer service representative is one that doesn't seem to match the ORHP that I know. He was short, impatient and became smart with me when I did not accept his answers today. Perhaps he needs to be retrained and moved to a back office department where he has no customer contact. I hope ORHP will look into his representation of the company and make a change. A company's reputation offline and online is very important to its growth. Buyers beware. This goes for all Home Warranty companies.

Old Republic Home Protection expert review by Michele Lerner

Old Republic Home Protection has been in business for more than 40 years. Founded in 1974 as Dependable Home Warranty, which provided services only in California, the company joined Old Republic International in 1982 and has been expanding the number of states it serves annually.

• Enhanced coverage: Unlike most home warranty companies, Old Republic covers repairs or replacements even if the problem is due to lack of maintenance, rust or an unknown pre-existing condition.

• Customer satisfaction: Old Republic conducts weekly random surveys of their customers to provide an additional check on their service providers.

• High coverage limits: Old Republic covers the repair or replacement of most items up to $1000 to $1500 per year; kitchen refrigerators are covered up to $2500.

• Delayed coverage: While the warranty program goes into effect immediately if it’s purchased during a real estate transaction, the coverage is delayed for 30 days after payment if a homeowner purchases it.

• Cancellation fee: While there’s no penalty for cancelling within the first 20 days, after that, customers will pay a 10% penalty in some states.

• Best for: home sellers, first-time homebuyers and real estate agents.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
    Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

Old Republic Home Protection Company Information