Find a Home Warranties partner

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

About Old Republic Home Protection

Old Republic Home Protection, formerly known as Dependable Home Warranty, offers one-year service contracts that cover home system and appliance repairs for the sellers and buyers of resale homes. The company offers multiple plans to fit every budget with optional add-ons available. Coverage is available in 27 states and Washington, D.C.

Find Home Warranties, Service Plans partners near you

Pros

• Customizable coverage
    • Educational resources
    • Clear pricing

Cons

• Not available in all states

Bottom Line

Old Republic Home Protection has easy-to-understand plans with transparent pricing. Its customizable coverage is convenient and flexible but only available in 27 states and Washington, D.C

Top Old Republic Home Protection Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

As a Realtor, I recommend this company to all my sellers and buyers. I maintain this warranty platinum edition on my personal home - renewing annually... I have saved $2700 in rep...

Verified

There are many home warranty companies in the marketplace and I highly recommend Old Republic for your home warranty company. They are easy to reach, quick in finding excellent se...

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

What is Old Republic Home Protection?

Old Republic Home Protection is a home warranty company that offers multiple plans and has a 24/7 service department that lets you make a claim when it's convenient for you.

Old Republic Home Protection offers service in 27 states and Washington, D.C., and its website has a map of the states it serves. Click on your state to view a brochure detailing Old Republic Home Protection’s coverage in your state in English and Spanish.

Old Republic Home Protection plans

Old Republic has three plans and numerous add-ons:

• Essential Coverage: This affordable plan from Old Republic Home Protection covers several major home systems (including heating, cooling, plumbing and electrical) and some appliances (excluding washer, dryer and kitchen refrigerator).
    • Standard Coverage: This plan from Old Republic Home Protection covers several major home systems (including heating, plumbing, and electrical) and most kitchen appliances (including dishwashers, trash compactors, kitchen exhaust fans, ranges, ovens, cooktops, built-in microwaves), as well as garage door openers and central vacuums. Air conditioning systems, washer, dryer, and kitchen refrigerator are included in Standard Coverage in some states.
    • Ultimate Protection: Ultimate Protection includes everything in the Standard Plan plus increased coverage for correcting code violations, haul away, permits, and more. It also includes enhanced system and appliance coverage.
    • Platinum Protection: Old Republic’s most comprehensive offering, the Platinum Protection plan, offers everything in the Standard and Ultimate plans and more, including higher limits and extended plumbing coverage.
    • Optional add-ons: You can customize your coverage with add-ons to take care of additional equipment, including your HVAC system, pool or roof.

Old Republic Home Protection’s contract term is usually 12 months, with 13-month and two-year plans available in some states. As of March 2021, Old Republic Home Protection provides home warranties during a real estate transaction — if interested, talk to your real estate agent.

Old Republic Home Protection coverage

Old Republic’s warranties cover the following home systems, appliances and specialty items.

Systems
    • Septic system
    • Well pump
    • Booster pump
    • Water softeners
    • Swimming pool and spa equipment
    • Solar hot water system
    • Solar pool/spa components
    • Free-standing ice maker
    • Standalone freezer

Old Republic cost

Old Republic Home Protection’s annual premiums start at $300 to $1,600 for condos and single-family homes up to 9,999 square feet and $400 to $1,900 for multiunit properties. Service fees range from $65 to $100 with an average of $75. We’ve broken down expected annual costs based on home type for Old Republic Home Protection plans in Texas below.

Home typeStandard CoverageUltimate CoveragePlatinum Coverage
    Condo/townhome/mobile home$355$465$695
    Single-family$405$510$615
    Duplex$600$750N/A
    Triplex$900$1,100N/A
    Fourplex$1,150$1,400N/A
    New construction$665$775N/A

Prices are current as of March 2021 and are subject to change. For more details, visit the Old Republic Home Protection website to see a map of where it operates. Click on your state to read a brochure that fully details plan coverage and costs.

Old Republic FAQ

Where is Old Republic available?
    Old Republic is available in Washington, D.C., and the following 27 states: Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington and Wyoming.
    Does Old Republic require a home inspection?
    No, you can get a home warranty from Old Republic without a home inspection.
    Can I cancel my Old Republic home warranty?
    Yes, you can cancel your Old Republic Home Protection home warranty. If you do, in most states you get a prorated refund, but you must also pay any service costs incurred and a processing fee.
    Does Old Republic have a service work guarantee?
    Yes. Old Republic guarantees service work for 30 days.

Is Old Republic worth it?

Old Republic Home Protection might be worth it if you’re buying or selling a home or looking for a home warranty to cover the systems and appliances in your current home. We like that the company has customizable coverage and educational resources on its website.

Old Republic Home Protection Reviews

Original review: Jan. 14, 2022

STAY CLEAR OF THIS COMPANY! I never take the time for reviews, but this cannot go undisclosed! From the beginning I was given false information by a company representative which lead to false trade call fees. NO ONE will take ownership of the false info and conveniently, the original phone call recording is gone! Being unhappy, disputing fees or attempting to be refunded by a paid for policy is ALL impossible! You will NOT get your money back! Absolute HORRIBLE customer service! DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!!!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2022

It has taken me over 8 months and 3 complaints to the Better Business Bureau and one to the California Department of Insurance to get (not fully) reimbursed for repairs to a home spa. ORHP will lie to you over and over how they "lost the paperwork", or " lost your address" or just about any excuse they can think of to delay payment and infuriate you. I have never had a worse experience dealing with any insurance company. I have no idea how they stay in business.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2022

Run. Don't walk away from this company. They offer zero service and zero repairs. You come out better by simply paying for any issues yourself. I was out of heat for over 4 weeks with a baby in the house...they could have cared less.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2021

To start, let me be clear this is NOT about the independent contractor ORHP sent out. My problem is with ORHP's crazy procedures and inability to expedite anything. I Contacted ORHP for a repair to kitchen exhaust fan and dishwasher. It takes about a week but the independent contractor came out and could not repair the fan and had to order parts for the dishwasher. About a month and a half later, the parts and replacement arrives and the independent contractor comes out to complete the job. Everything done well on his end.

A day later the dishwasher stops working and ORHP has to send the contractor out again to look at it. It's dead and a new one has to be ordered. It takes about a few days for the independent contractor to file a report with ORHP, but once he does, they come back with a comparable product to be purchased. Of course, their email states that once it is ordered, it will arrive within 10 business days. So, a few days later I call ORHP to follow-up and make sure it has been ordered. Thankfully, it has, BUT (there's always a but), it isn't scheduled to arrive for another 34 business days!!!! Maybe it'll arrive earlier and I can contact the service provider to come out and install it. But I doubt it.

Look, I know it's the pandemic and supply chains are **, but this is ridiculous. Here's what pisses me off: 1) this company has poor customer service and simply won't tell you the status of your situation on their website or even send you an email with important updates - you have to make the call to them and hang on hold for nearly an hour; and 2) what they do send you misrepresents reality. So, it'll be over 3 months without a dishwasher when I likely could have just gone down to Home Depot, purchased the same damn dishwasher a week ago, had it delivered and installed today and saved myself another month and a half of frustration and high water bills.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2021

My realtor provided me with a free trade call coupon upon purchasing our home. I submitted it three times with the invoice, but they still deducted the fee. When I called about it, they said, "Sorry, use it on your next repair." EVERY time they still deducted it. Now my home warranty has expired, so I'm sure I'm out of luck on the $75. It's not a lot of money, but it's the principle. Will let everyone I know to NOT use them!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2021

We opened a claim mid September 2021 because of our single gas wall oven door wouldn't close properly. Orhp sent out a tech and said it's not repairable, so it will be replaced. Dan (purchasing) from Orhp sent me an email 9/29/2021, asking if I would like cash offer for 1k (including replacement and installation) or replacement of a GE Model#JGRP20WEJWW (Orhp selected this model and this is the only choice that they gave me). We decide to go with replacement because you can't get anything that's decent to be installed for 1k. Dan said the oven will be delivered in 2 weeks and we need to find a installer to install it, which is fine. Oven didn't show up in 2 weeks, so we called again (50+ mins wait time). They said it will be deliver the end of November 2021 (2 months). We waited, and it's now 11/30/2021, we called again today. Dan said it will be delivered December 2022. YES, 15 months of wait time for an oven replacement.

I called again (50+ mins) wait, they basically told me to just take the cash offer. The replacement they promised is GE single 24" gas wall oven, where can I get one for 1k? I told them to find me another replacement. They refused to assist me. The rep told me the cash 1k offer is my only option. I asked to speak with manager, she said she will put in the request and have a manager call me back. This is ridiculous, I had my policy for at least 10 years, now I think I need to find other better home warranty service.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2021

I had Old republic home warranty for years… Had a few repairs and it was fine. 2021 however a dishwasher in a rental died. I called Old Republic and it took them two months to get a replacement as mine was not fixable. The dishwasher I got was like a baby version to a normal one. It is 5 inches shorter and 5 inches narrower, so I had to have it custom installed. To my demise I noticed too late that none of my dinner plates fit it into the washer nor could I put in a pot or a pan because the inside is super super small. So eventually I will just toss it out and have it replaced with a normal size one… Needless to say I will never buy a home warranty again.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2021

We submitted a claim in September for our broken built-in Microwave. They sent out the first technician who ordered 2 rounds of parts - each set took more than a week to get in before he stated it could not be repaired and he would recommend replacement. ORHP did not like that so they sent a second technician. He ordered more parts - it still did not work. He stated he would recommend replacement. They ignored this and sent a THIRD technician who we have still not heard back from about scheduling a visit. almost 2 months later nothing has been fixed. The representative stated that none of the other repairmen were certified to work with our Microwave but the third one is so they will wait and see what he said. This warranty is a scam and a waste of time and money. They will literally string you along for months until your warranty runs out. Horrible way to run a business and a major source of frustration.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2021

Without a dishwasher for 3 months. First they sent a technician to see what was wrong and charged me $100 diagnosis fee. Service provider said that it needed a new switchboard, even I knew that it would not work because my dishwasher is an older model and discontinued. Switchboard took 5 weeks to arrive and service provider still couldn't fix it. Service provider made its money by ordering an expensive switchboard that would not work and labor, washed its hands and completed the service with the conclusion that dishwasher needs to be replaced.

ORHP never called back to communicate the next steps. I kept calling them to check on the status. Reps are nice and friendly but not helpful enough. Their hands are tied. The authorization department is the problem. Still waiting on them after 2 weeks to find a match to my broken dishwasher that is no longer manufactured. Supposedly they will send me the replacement options and I am still waiting. I will not renew my coverage policy with this insurance company. Not worth it. I could have gotten a dishwasher which would cost less than the premium I pay for this coverage and the stupid diagnosis fee.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2021

This company is borderline a scam company. We had fire damage to an appliance that was **covered** by the insurance policy. The insurance sent a technician out who confirmed the fire damage - they did not like that, so they sent a second technician out. The second technician stated that despite the fire damage, the appliance still turned on, based on which the insurance denied the claim. Imagine if you drove your car and it caught fire. You file a claim with the car insurance company, but they insist that the car still turns on and deny your claim. These people should be in jail.

Take a Home Warranty Quiz. Get matched with an Authorized Partner.

Old Republic Home Protection Company Information