Find a Home Warranties partner

2. Homeowners
  3. Home Warranties

1.5/5 (47 ratings)

About Old Republic Home Protection

Old Republic Home Protection, formerly known as Dependable Home Warranty, offers one-year service contracts that cover home system and appliance repairs. The company has three plans with optional add-ons: Standard, Ultimate and Platinum. Coverage is only available in 24 states and Washington, D.C., though.

Find Home Warranties, Service Plans partners near you

Pros

• Customizable coverage
    • Educational resources
    • Clear pricing

Cons

• Limited availability

Bottom Line

Old Republic Home Protection has easy-to-understand plans with transparent pricing. Its customizable coverage is convenient but only available in 24 states and Washington, D.C.

Top Old Republic Home Protection Reviews

Verified

As a Realtor, I recommend this company to all my sellers and buyers. I maintain this warranty platinum edition on my personal home - renewing annually... I have saved $2700 in rep...

Verified

There are many home warranty companies in the marketplace and I highly recommend Old Republic for your home warranty company. They are easy to reach, quick in finding excellent se...

What is Old Republic Home Protection?

Old Republic Home Protection is a home warranty company that offers three different plans has a 24/7 claims department that lets you make a claim anytime.

Old Republic doesn’t operate nationwide, but its website has a map of the states it services. Click on your state to read a brochure detailing Old Republic’s coverage in your state in English or Spanish.

Old Republic Home Protection plans

Old Republic has three plans and numerous add-ons:

• Standard Coverage: This basic plan from Old Republic partially covers several major home systems (including heating, cooling, plumbing and electrical) and some appliances (including dishwashers, trash compactors, kitchen exhaust fans, ranges, ovens, cooktops, built-in microwaves, garage door openers and central vacuums).
    • Ultimate Protection: Ultimate coverage includes everything in the Standard plan with the same or more thorough protection. It also includes additional systems and appliances.
    • Platinum Protection: Old Republic’s most comprehensive offering, the Platinum Protection plan, offers everything in the Standard and Ultimate plans and more, including higher limits and extended plumbing coverage.
    • Optional add-ons: You can customize your coverage with add-ons to take care of additional equipment, including your HVAC system, pool or roof.

Old Republic's most common contract length is 12 months. Plans have a 30-day waiting period between signing the contract and the start of coverage.

Old Republic Home Protection coverage

Old Republic’s warranties cover the following home systems, appliances and specialty items.

Systems
    • Septic systems
    • Well pumps
    • Pools and spas

Old Republic cost

Old Republic annual premiums range from $250 to $1,500, and repair service fees range from $55 to $100 with an average of $75. These costs depend on the size, condition and location of your home. We’ve broken down expected annual costs based on home type for Old Republic plans in Texas below:

Home typeStandard CoverageUltimate CoveragePlatinum Coverage
    Condo/townhome/mobile home$355$460$665
    Single-family$405$510$615
    Duplex$600$750N/A
    Triplex$900$1,100N/A
    Fourplex$1,150$1,400N/A
    New construction$665$775N/A

For more details on costs, visit the Old Republic website to see a map of where it operates. Click on your state to read a brochure that fully details plan costs.

Old Republic FAQ

Where is Old Republic available?
    Old Republic is available in Washington, D.C., and the following 24 states: Alabama, Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia and Washington.
    Does Old Republic require a home inspection?
    No, you can get a home warranty from Old Republic without a home inspection.
    Can I cancel my Old Republic home warranty?
    Yes, you can cancel your Old Republic home warranty. If you do, you get a prorated refund, but you also have to pay service costs and a $50 processing fee.
    Does Old Republic have a service work guarantee?
    Yes. Old Republic guarantees service work for 30 days.

Is Old Republic worth it?

Old Republic might be worth it if you’re looking for a home warranty to cover the systems and appliances in your home. We like that the company has customizable coverage and educational resources on its website. Just make sure you live in one of the states where Old Republic offers coverage.

Old Republic Home Protection Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Old Republic Home Protection?

Original review: April 13, 2021

Purchased a home and the sellers and our agent provided an Old Republic Home Warranty to make us feel comfortable with the purchase. 9 Days after the purchase the A/C quit working. Called, they sent a repairman the next day and lo and behold after 9 days of working fine they said it was pre existing and would not cover the repair. I would rather have the 1200.00 that was paid for this useless warranty to help with the replacement of the HVAC system. Their product is not worth the paper it is written on. They are a rip off from what I am reading. Looks like we will have to settle this through legal means. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THEIR HOME WARRANTY.

Original review: April 2, 2021

We contacted Old Republic home warranty regarding a minor leak in our filter. They scheduled a service call (with co-pay). That service repairman replaced a part, but in the process broke something else. He said he will talk to warranty company to approve the entire thing, but then came back and said the warranty company is not improving anything including the original order. They then harassed my wife with phone calls to pay for the original replacement, and I am out another $1000 for the part they broke that they also couldn't get approved to warranty company.

Even worse, when we contacted Old Republic Home Warranty, they just say that we cannot do anything as the filter is not covered (which might also be untrue). Regardless, the call was scheduled by them and the person they sent was on their behalf. I would have appreciated a bit more understand and partnership, but the customer rep just hung up on us saying they cannot do anything.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 26, 2021

My refrigerator water dispenser and ice cube maker went out...Long story short I need a new refrigerator and you have to go thru so many challenges....It may be another 7 to 10 business days before the purchasing Dept reaches out!!!! They do not put their customers 1st....It’s basically how less they spend and more money you have to as a customer!!!!

Original review: March 24, 2021

If there was an option to give zero stars I would. We have been trying for over 4 months to get our refrigerator repaired. We had countless phone calls that I would wait on hold for over an hour only to be hung up on. It took over 2 months the first time to get broken parts sent to us. And then another month to get even more broken parts. They promised new parts would be sent, only to have refurbished parts sent. After everything is said and done and lots of time wasted, they offered us $417.84 to replace our refrigerator. It has been an absolute nightmare. A home warranty should give you peace of mind. They are incompetent at best. Don’t waste your money.

Original review: March 24, 2021

It has now been almost two months waiting to get my dishwasher fixed. Numerous phone calls and a visit from a technician and I still can't get the repair authorized. The dishwasher is 10 years old and has a broken control board the warranty company want the technician to write a report saying why the item is broken he said it is old and is broken due to wear and tear. The warranty is demanding a second opinion so here I am waiting for one of their technicians to see my old dishwasher. Today their technician cancelled an appointment for 1 pm at 12:45 pm! I have experience with other providers and know that warranties are complex but this has been ridiculous and frustrating. The next time a realtor offers me this as part of a transaction I am going to request a different company.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

This company is not about warranty, it is about how to screw people. They play games when time comes to pay. I was told I am getting reimbursed 100 percent of my 3000 repair while my entire family was down with Covid. Their vendor doesn’t show and no hot water in the house. I use. My own with three quotes and use cheapest one. Then they play good cop bad cop game and turn around to try to give me half. I have refused because I am going legal route. A I GOING TO TRY FOR CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT. Please join with yours.

Resolution response: March 4, 2021

Sarah A was extremely professional and helpful. She resolved our issue completely as of 3/3/2021.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2021

The contractor who has been trying to get authorization from Old Republic for 2 weeks called this company a "hoax". Their scheme involves asking the contractor unobtainable information only to deny the claim or "run the clock out". Attempting to contact the company takes hours and the customer service representatives take up to 3 days to return a call. Our heat has been out for weeks in the middle of winter. I've been on multiple platforms sharing my experience and my hope is that I can save at least one person from this sort of despair aggravation.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2021

The are among the most expensive one and you get the least satisfaction. I am more than happy to say I DID NOT renew my plan with them. For the item that need to be replaced they offer 5 months leading time while I see it can be delivered weekly (from all appliance seller). They ask if you want you can go with reimbursement that is really unfair.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2021

I have had an issue with my air conditioner and plumbing. According to the terms of my Home Warranty Policy, these issues were immediately submitted and acted upon by Old Republic Warranty.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2021

We got their home warranty when we bought the house. And even got additional coverage for up to 4 refrigerators because it is a big house. Then 1 refrigerator started having little frost and then leaking so we took it to the garage. Meanwhile the other refrigerator in the kitchen could not get its door closed. So we called this warranty company, and they sent Aall appliance repairing guy in. Their repairing person Eugene found the problem and said he just need to change the unit behind. He said he would come back but asked us to make sure to turn off the fridge and ice would be all thawed 48 hours before he came back. And he would check the other refrigerator more carefully at that time as well as he could not see the temperature difference this time and he is running for his next appointment.

We were all happy and thought both refrigerators would be fixed. But never expected got a call from a lady saying that the Old Republic has declined the obligations of fixing both refrigerators. When I asked for reasons, she said for the refrigerator in the garage, it was because the technician could not find anything wrong even though I told her that was not the case. And I told her I had and showed the technician the pictures when the refrigerator was frozen and leaking, She said I could hire another person by myself, if that person can find something is wrong with that refrigerator, then the home warranty company will reimburse me. Can you believe it? But the refrigerator is still leaking!

Then for the refrigerator in the kitchen, it will ALSO not be covered because they do not cover insulation problem. After more than 2 months, Old Republic also sent me a letter, saying the reason for it's not covered was because of the insulation problem. They would have fooled me if I did not hire my own appliance repairing company. They clearly told me it was just a thermometer (cost $68) that needs to be replaced so the refrigerator will not be frozen. And it HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE INSULATION. Just because insulation was one of the lines in their fine prints, they used that conveniently and effortlessly!!! What an awful insurance company! They almost fooled me trying to buy a new refrigerator!

If it's just 1 refrigerator, then I would probably think it's just an error. But they declined for both refrigerators without any evidence, even the tenant and I were both telling them the refrigerator was leaking for the other one, they just insisted it has no problem, all of us were just delusional... I have already reported them to BBB but still Stay away this company is the only advice I can give. You will be wasting your money and they will decline your claim with any excuse they can come up with!

Take a Home Warranty Quiz