Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes
1.05/5

Quit paying for costly home repairs!

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Quit paying for costly home repairs!

716 Old Republic Home Protection Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 16, 2019

In early November of 2018 my dryer broke down. The individual that the service called to do the work was at my residence for several hours trying to figure out how to put on my belt to the dryer after waiting about a week. He called his own office and watched several videos on his phone to figure out how to do it. It was dark by the time he left after several hours at my residence. The repair man even admitted that the dryer did not sound right after he put on the belt. He also told me that the belt should last up to five years. I notified Old Republic immediately of the issue and they in one of the calls back they notified me that I can get another dryer, used, for additional price instead of fixing my dryer right the first time. The sound that the dryer was making continued until the belt snapped in early January of 2019. And I complained in writing as a result of that second $75 charge since they as I have indicated did not fix my dryer right the first time.

I called them twice and one of the time times was during my May of 2019 phone call I found out that Old Republic discontinued my year long warranty back in January because I refused to pay the $75 for the second visit due to improper service of fixing of dryer the first time. They had the nerve to try to renew services by mail for another year after I was informed of this. The charge then moved to $100 back in July when a collection agency was brought in. I only paid however $75 when I called customer service again on July 16, 2019. I believe due to only having six months of service, Old Republic owed me $245.00 because that is half of the $490 paid for original year long service and it should be noted that wait times are typically around an hour long over the phone. I eventually decided to pay out of concern for my credit history even though I have been unemployed for several months and I was unemployed in January.

I notified the California Better Business Bureau of my experience. There was no comment by the Old Republic's customer service regarding my information in informing the California Better Business Bureau of my experience. I originally got the year long plan because of my reality agent I worked with when I bought my home about 1 year ago. I have been disappointed by their wait time on the phone, wait time for bring someone over to fix the issue, their ability to have someone be able to fix the issue in question, honoring their previous warranted work, and demeanor of their customer service. I hope this review is helpful and would recommend shopping around for someone else. If you are going to move and get new home, let the realtor know and please compare with other experiences online.

Original review: July 12, 2019

Worst experience ever! Horrible - no care for the safety of their plan holders. Customer service sucks, plan sucks - if I could give less than one star I would! We had our AC go down early evening with elderly people here. House internal temp went up to 90 and I didn’t hear back from those worthless people until late afternoon the NEXT DAY!

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 4, 2019

The worst service I have ever experienced. I would never buy a warranty from Old Republic again. I had a leak in my water heater. They told me to turn it off and they will contact a plumber. In a nutshell, the plumber charged me $100 for him to take pictures. It took over a week before I got my new water heater installed. The plumbing company installed a generic, no name brand water heater with an old bent up pan. He used my personal towels to mop up water from the basement floor (rummaging through my dirty laundry nonetheless). He left a hell of a mess all over the floor and on the water heater. He used the top of my new washer as a tool box; scratching it up. He realigned my condensate line, knocking it out of slope for drainage and left water all over the floor when he left.

The floor drain wasn't draining as quickly as he wanted it to in order to drain the water heater, so without telling us, he augered it out. This caused a huge problem as he clogged the rest of the main drain that leads to the street sewer. I called the plumber numerous times, no return call. I then called Old Republic numerous times. They said that I would need to pay out of pocket because it was a holiday. But if I wanted to wait until tomorrow, they would see if they could get someone out to look at it. Meanwhile, I can't go to the restroom, take a shower, etc, or my basement / newly remodeled office will flood with sewage. This is horrible customer service. Do not purchase the warranty plan!!

Original review: June 30, 2019

Our air conditioning quit Friday June 28 evening and I placed a service call. Old Republic could not get a provider to commit on Friday evening and sent a response Saturday morning. They were still trying to locate a provider. They called me at 8 AM Saturday morning (June 29) offering to let me find my own out of network provider and they would reimburse me. I told them to keep the service open and I would try to get my own outside contractor and call them back when I had one. Within 10 minutes we had an appointment with On Time Experts Air Conditioning and they were out within two hours. On Time Experts diagnosed the problem of an old, leaking coil, some additional upgrades that were required as well as haul off of the old coil. Costs came out to ~$5,300.

Detailed information was sent to Old Republic and they said the costs were excessive and not in line and would not be reimbursed at that level but, they would pay $995 of the costs. What Old Republic failed to state is that they intentionally jacked up the total costs in order to deny reimbursement. By that I mean the On Time Experts stated the job would take 4-6 hours to take apart and reassemble the existing equipment but, Old Republic had them add in travel time which On Time Experts does not charge for.

The reimbursement is similar to going to a car dealership and purchasing a new car but, telling the dealer that your costs are lower than theirs and you will only pay them 20% of the price. Horrible service, horrible reimbursement, not worth the price of their policy. Had issues with Old Republic in the past on a prior house with air conditioning repair. Old Republic piecemeals the work and has inferior quality service. Even had one of their service providers try to sell me new equipment "off the books". Lesson learned and would not recommend Old Republic.

Original review: June 28, 2019

This is the first time in 20 yrs that I have used this company for a home warranty with an escrow and it will be the last. They rejected my clients claim on her washing machine. They are not following the information presented in the brochure. This is what I call consumer fraud. Be aware. I am going back to Fidelity National Home Warranty. Never have an issue with them. -5 stars.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Old Republic Home Protection?

Original review: June 23, 2019

They will deny your claim and when you confront them with documentation of how their reasoning is invalid they just find another reason. After going through this four times and three weeks with about 6 hours on the phone I gave up. This place is a total scam.

Original review: June 13, 2019

I placed a service request for a dryer, they get a hold of me 2 weeks later, saying that they have been trying to reach me, and that they need additional information from my appliance (I did not have any calls). When I called them they kept sending me to different departments and was kept on hold and hung up on. So after they get the information they need, they will probably wait another week before getting the part to repair the unit. They are not reliable, they do not care to keep their customers happy, and they do not communicate well. The customer service rep was rude and did not care about the fact that we have been without our appliance for the past 2 and a half weeks. So if you are a homeowner, and expect to have your appliances fixed promptly, do not pay this company a dime.

Original review: June 11, 2019

I wish I could give less than one star. My issue was that they sent a plumber to my property to unclog a drain (covered problem) but the plumber was not capable of performing the relatively basic plumbing task. He was at my house for approximately 10 minutes. So I had to call a different plumber the following day (not through Old Republic) and pay him to unclog the drain, which he was able to do in less than 15 minutes. Then I get a bill for $100 from Old Republic for the "service call" by the first plumber who couldn't fix my basic plumbing problem. It's pretty much a racket; send a technician out, technician states he's unable to make a basic repair, then charge a $100 service call fee. Easy money. Do not use this company. They are not trustworthy.

Original review: May 31, 2019

I am a realtor who would recommend my clients to purchase this warranty. I called in for my client to have their HVAC serviced and was denied. I felt tricked honestly. If you don’t answer the questions right they won’t hold up to their service. I asked to speak to the manager Stephanie and I’m still waiting for her to call me back. I will never promote this warranty company to my clients again.

Original review: May 24, 2019

Don't waste your money or your time. They send out overpriced technicians to review your claim and they do as little as possible to assist you in your troubles. I had three experiences with my plan while I had it in place (which I will not do again). The FIRST experience was when my pool pump stopped working (which we added the pool protection to the policy, mistake). They sent someone out and reported that they needed to replace the timer switch which apparently was faulty but once that was completed, the blower stopped functioning.

After coming out again, they informed me that I had an airline that needed to be replaced now and that the insurance company would be in contact with me about coverage. Of course the airline was not covered because it ran underground even though it was in conduit and would have been easy to replace. so they told me that they would have the vendor call me back with a "retail quote" to replace the airline. The vendor never called back. I called Old Republic again letting them know this and they apologized and said that the vendor would get back in touch with me, again, no call so I had to call another vendor to request a quote and of course pay for the service outside of my warranty. The SECOND experience I had involved my refrigerator which stopped cooling.

Again they sent a vendor out to replace a part, well after three days of no fridge, they replaced the part and the fridge started cooling too well. Half of the food in my fridge froze solid even on the lowest settings. I called back to report the problem, the vendor came back out and said that they didn't see any problems and just to keep the fridge as low as I could. I called back again and Old Republic decided to send out a different vendor. This vendor opened the fridge back up and found that when the original part was replaced, they forgot to hook up a connection which allowed the setting switches to actually work correctly. At least the second vendor figured it out.

The fridge was finally back to functioning after two weeks of dealing with problems. The THIRD and very last time I will even call Old Republic for a service call has been for my air conditioning unit. The unit is older but again if it is failing then I would expect that the insurance kick in for at least a portion of the repair. The vendor arrived and explained that the unit was low on freon and there was likely a leak somewhere. Also the outside condenser was using way too much amperage for the unit and getting very hot. They recommended replacing the outside condenser and because of the age of the unit the inside coil as well. He provided a quote and added freon to the system in order to allow it to cool temporarily.

Of course he told me that their quote would include a $1,000 discount for being a certified provider for Old Republic. Their quote was for $6,000 which I thought seemed high. I told him that we would think about it and get back with them. After looking around I found that their "discounted price" was still over $1,000 higher than the average price from other vendors. I decided to call Old Republic to explain the situation and request that they cover a portion of the replacement. Of course they said that since the system had not failed, they would not cover anything except for added freon.

Also, the vendor had explained that I would likely need to have the system replaced since the outside condenser was failing hence them providing me with a quote for full replacement. My policy was in its last 45 days and they clearly knew that. It was cheaper for them to just keep adding freon until the unhappy policy owner was no longer a problem for them to deal with. All they would have needed to do is offer a small discount to be applied to a vendor of my choosing and I would have been ok with the service.

I asked to speak with a manager on more than one occasion and the representative refused to escalate the situation. They refuse to offer any assistance to their clients if they can avoid it. Old Republic is a company whom I will never use again and I feel bad for the people who have been suckered into their policies and I feel even worse for the people who work for this company as all they hear on a daily basis is unhappy people who know that they have been scammed by another bad insurance program.

Original review: May 23, 2019

I’ve had many issues with this company. First I had my air serviced. They fixed the air. Now the heat automatically runs at a certain time every day and the only way to get it to go off is to run the air until it automatically cuts off. Next, I paid my service fee of $100 to a company that was dispatched to my home to fix my AC unit AGAIN and was receiving bills stating that the fee was not paid and I owed. Well if the fee wasn’t paid the agent wouldn’t have left. I would not purchase again.

Original review: May 18, 2019

The seller of the home I purchased bought this warranty for us during the sale of the house. I have called to get electrical fixed, heating fixed and now A/C fixed. Each time I've been told they have no service providers in my area. I live between Louisville, KY and Cincinnati, OH. They finally found a service provider for my A/C and he came out and did a diagnosis. He told them my A coil is leaking and the condenser also needs to be replaced due to it being on R-22 coolant. They originally approved it today 5/17/19 and called me back later the same day to say they were no longer going to let the service provider change the condenser. They then offered to let me take either a $500 check or myself pay over $2000 for the condenser unit. I didn't purchase this warranty but would never renew through these people and would advise anyone looking into them to stay away.

Original review: May 13, 2019

This company is a big scam and unfortunately people cannot come out of their contracts and get sucked into renewals. Their standard warranty covers nothing and you have to keep paying to cover your faucets, garage door or any other fixtures. Please invest this money in child's 529 rather than buying a warranty from ORHP. I hope this company goes bankrupt soon so people are not cheated anymore.

Original review: May 13, 2019

I can't give any lower than 1 star, as if I could, they would have zero. ORHP used to be one of the better home warranty companies, but no more. I have over 20 newly remodeled rental homes in 3 different states so I feel confident in my analysis of ORHP. This home in question is in the DFW area of Texas. With a population of over 6 million and hundreds of appliance repair places, you would think ORHP could find a repair company to repair a dryer that is only 2 years old, but obviously not. ORHP has failed to repair or replace a dryer in a timely manner. In December 2018 ORHP was notified of a defective dryer. Still to this date nearly 5 months later the dryer still has not been repaired. There has been one excuse after another and ORHP refuses to get the dryer repaired or replaced.

After 4 different repairmen, the 2nd of which came out but said he could not look at the dryer because Old Republic did not tell him to look at it (what??? seriously) the last repairman agreed with the 3rd repairman, that the motor needed to be replaced. This was a cost of over $400. I requested those funds to get a new dryer, but ORHP again refused. During a recorded conversation I expressed my concern over the qualifications of ORHP's selected repair personnel. I expressed concern that once this motor was put in the dryer, we may indeed have additional problems. Again, your company refused to listen to me, they instead became argumentative and decided to move ahead with the motor install.

I am not a fortune teller, but I have been down this road before. Exactly as I expressed concern over the qualifications of the repairman, after he put the motor in the dryer, it still does not work. The motor now runs but the drum scrapes very bad as it turns emitting a loud scraping metal noise. I am sure this constant rubbing and friction can cause a fire. Now I have a dryer that is a fire hazard and Old Republic still refuses to do anything to rectify this situation.

Original review: May 11, 2019

Just so others are aware, make sure you consider details of this company's service policies carefully before you invest in them. Twice they had an opportunity to reimburse genuine claims with our newly-purchased home. Twice they failed to reimburse anything. One was a roof leak the home inspector mis-diagnosed. The next was an aging water pipe that gave way. I called for a service request and OR sent a plumber out who arrived that same day. But the work was not reimbursed because the work estimate was not approved before the repair began. Since we had had no water already for a day and faced with several more days without water, I authorized the two-hour repair, thinking I would be quickly reimbursed. Bad idea. This company simply cannot handle emergencies. I would look for someone else with better service policies.

Original review: May 9, 2019

This company charges a lot of money for protection, I have used them for 2 years and every time I call about a problem there is always something they choose not to cover. I had a pipe leak behind my water heater. They only covered $108 (which I had to pay the $75 deductible) but they did not cover the contractor to remove the water heater or cut through the drywall to fix it.

If they don't cover that then how is the contractor supposed to fix the pipe. It was the same kind of situation when it came to my septic (Which I have to pay extra coverage for). And even when there is an emergency, they try to act like they will call someone out right away... and they DON'T. My whole kitchen flooded because they didn't call someone (and yes we turned off the water to the house but the water that was still in the pipes leaked everywhere and I doubt they are paying for any of that either.) Really look into them before purchasing. They cover very minimal protection. I am better off just putting the money I pay them into a savings account and paying out of pocket. They don't save you any money when there is a problem.

Original review: May 8, 2019

Beware when placing service calls with Old Republic. They charge you a $100 service fee EVEN IF THEY CAN'T FIX THE ISSUE OR IT'S NOT COVERED. The contractor will request $100 when he walks in the door because he knows people won't pay after they hear "Sorry can't fix it, or not covered". I honestly think this guy shows up knowing it's not covered just so he can collect $100. I even asked about this before the service appointment and the contractor's receptionist gave me the run-around, telling me I need to make sure I know what my warranty covers. So it's my problem if it's not covered and I have to fork over $100. This is how Old Republic contractors make regular money--- often doing nothing at all. Warranty seems like it doesn't cover much. Don't go into this thinking you're fully protected. You're better off NOT having this warranty. Private companies have quotes and problem identification for free, THIS DOES NOT.

Original review: May 8, 2019

We have new home warranty coverage for 1 year through Old Republic. It is supposed to cover ceiling fans. The plan cost $580. Any time a service call is requested, the homeowner must pay a $75 fee. I was told by a supervisor at Old Republic that the fee is returned to Old Republic. Our living room ceiling fan broke. I requested service through the insurance plan. They sent out a provider, that I paid a $75 fee to. He said, "Yes it is broken, but I can only replace it with this standard fan." This does not match the decor of the house and I did not want that fan. I said that I would pay the extra to have a fan that would match the decor.

I was told that I would have to contact the insurance and he left. (Also regarding the providers they use, they sent out a guy to check a ceiling fan WITHOUT a ladder. He asked to borrow mine.) I called the insurance and they stated that they would "cash me out" at a value of $100 and I would then be on my own to buy a fan and pay someone to install it. Since I already paid $75 to their provider to tell me it was broken (something I already knew), the total dollar amount for the replacement fan and its installation from the insurance would be $25. I would have been better off without the $580 expenditure for the insurance and just used it towards the fan.

Original review: May 4, 2019

This home warranty company is a joke. They always have "unusually long wait times" when you call so you sit on hold for an hour, their customer service representatives are rude and hang up on you, they send out HORRIBLE companies to work on your appliances and then blame you when things aren't fixed properly.

We have had to call them repeatedly over our dishwasher. The first person they sent out was absolutely horrible and didn't know a thing about dishwashers, the second guy they sent flooded our kitchen (Old Republic did NOTHING about this), the third recommended it be replaced. Old Republic replaced the dishwasher and not even 6 months later the dishwasher broke yet again. I didn't know it was under factory warranty so I called Old Republic, they took our $100 trade call fee only to tell us that it was under factory warranty. Now, a year later our dishwasher is broke yet again. Old Republic sent a technician out on Monday and we still haven't heard back about what is going to be done (Friday). This is only ONE of the problems we have had with them.

Another issue, we went almost two months without a refrigerator because they wanted to take their dear sweet time with everything, leading me to call multiple times without any progress. We have had many many more bad experiences with them and will not be renewing our warranty again. If you can find a better warranty company, I would advise anyone to take it because you will waste more time and money than it's worth using this company.

Original review: April 29, 2019

I recommend not purchasing a home warranty protection plan from this company. All they do is give you the run around and take your money and when you have an issue all they do is put a band-aid on it. We have had to use this company several times for issues with our home, each time they never want to replace anything EVER. They won't approve a replacement even if the service tech recommends it. They just want to repair it and in our case not even 24 hours later we still have a non working toilet that was advised to be replaced but NO.

To save their company money they made the plumber try to fix it and here we are once again thank to Old Republic on the losing end of this situation. I hate this company and will go with another home warranty service when my contract expires. We had issues with our hot water heater last year, same old song and dance. It cost us out of our pocket over $500 dollars to fix that when they could of replaced it for so much less. We had the same issues with a stove and a dishwasher. Never have they replaced anything. They are greedy **.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I recommend saving your money and not purchasing a home warranty through them. I had no choice as the seller purchased it and said, "Here you go!" I have issues with them not covering items, giving false information stating they did not hear from the contractor when in reality he said it needed to be repaired so they sent another contractor out who said everything was fine. A few months later that same contractor came out to do work and I asked him what happened last time, he said they are famous for doing these kinds of things so they do not have to cover items. I asked to speak to a manager and I got "nobody is available". Asked for a senior leader's number and was told "it is against company policy to give out that information". Last I checked this is a public company and I should never be refused a name/number, my policy helped keep this company in business. Save yourself the money, time and headache and do not deal with them!

Original review: April 19, 2019

New homeowner and 5 yr old Sub-Zero refrigerator came with the home. Purchased ultimate package. Contractor said he didn't want to drive all the way out to our area and wanted to fix it over the phone by walking us through it. He thought we couldn't find a simple reset button. We had actually already been trying the reset button but it doesn't work. The compressor is broken and needs to be replaced. Roof leak... Not covered. Window leak... Not covered. This is my second home and I will be mostly DIY on this one because it is 30 years old and additions are 15 years old. Don't waste your time. This insurance company is terrible.

Original review: April 15, 2019

A 2 year old fridge "covered" by our "home appliance warranty" that came with our home purchase was not covered. They read us the fine print that allows them to charge for their (overpriced, by the way) services. They explained we are covered if we had already had your appliances checked. Since we did not own the appliances when we bought the house, there was no way to do that of course.

In any case, this is all carefully hidden in the fine print, and they read that to you when you go to make a claim. They have plenty of people to read you the fine print when you ask for help on coverage, but they do not tell you when they are selling the service. I doubt they have ever paid out a claim. The people who deny your coverage are well trained in the fine print. Unless you have time to read every word, do not waste your time. If you DO read it, you will see what a scam this is. Professional Scammers.

Original review: April 10, 2019

This home warranty company is awful. I had a leaking recirculating pump in my garage and they had Jay's Plumbing come to my house to fix the problem. Jay's Plumbing told Old Republic that my pump was installed incorrectly so my warranty was voided. Jay's Plumbing has a very low rating and many unhappy customers and this is who is sent to my home from Old Republic. I hired my own plumber and paid over $500.00 to have this issue resolved. My plumber said my pump was original to my home and was over 15 years old and was not installed incorrectly. My plumber put this info on my invoice saying everything was installed correctly and the reason for the leak was just wear and tear and the age of the pump.

I disputed this with ORHP and sent photos and the invoice from my plumber. Not only did they deny this dispute but they are charging me $55.00 to pay for the service call from Jay's Plumbing. Not only did I have to pay all of that money out of my pocket I have to pay for a company that did nothing for me and gave ORHP false information. I will be looking for a new home warranty company and terminate my contract with ORHP. Stay away from this company!

Original review: April 9, 2019

I have used Choice Home Warranty in the past. I called for service and the technician came out at a time that fit my work schedule, as in, after 4:30 pm. I recently purchased a home and the warranty was with Old Republic. Never made a claim with them. Icemaker stopped working, made an online request for service and two different companies stated they do not work after hours. When I talked to the customer service rep, she told me they only work during normal business hours. What about the majority of customers who work Mon-Fri for a living. Will not renew and will tell everyone I know about this company and its poor service.

Original review: March 29, 2019

I bought a house with no prior knowledge of it. The previous homeowners had only been there a short time and really had no knowledge about anything in the home since everything had been there once they bought the house. I bought the home with the top line of coverage. I ended up having to call about the AC (it needed freon) and the refrigerator in the first 2 years. I was ok with the service although the trade call $ was about what I would have paid if I had just hired someone to do repairs. And the wait wasn't entirely unbearable.

I have renewed my coverage every year for those 'just in case' times. This is my 3rd year to renew. But, what just happened has me questioning why I'm using this company. I walked out into my garage the other morning while temperatures were in the 30's and heard what sounded like a faucet running. My water heater was pouring water out all over my garage. I turned off the water and called Old Home. I was told it would be 3 days before someone could come out. I called back and asked for another contractor to come. They ended up being able to send someone out pretty quickly. He walked into my garage, looked at the heater, pulled a number off of it and said "It's under warranty. I can't work on it," and left. I had no information about the warranty. Didn't even know it was under warranty and was stuck with a broken water heater and garage full of water.

I was billed $100 for this. Here's my issue- I called and asked why I was being billed when they didn't fix it. The rep said that it was under a different warranty and that they wouldn't work on anything with a warranty. I said I didn't even know it was under warranty (by the way I ended up hiring someone else to fix it because I couldn't get it repaired under warranty). But the rep said that I should have known and that there were numbers on the heater I could have used to check. I asked why the original person I called into didn't ask for those numbers so it could be checked before they sent out a repairman? The rep said homeowners should know about their warranties. I won't renew with them next year. I will pick another company.

Original review: March 26, 2019

I have have had different home warranties with each house we have owned through the years. This company is by far the worst of them all. I have called them twice and both time, IT'S NOT COVERED. The first issue, the plumber came out and it was determined the cause of leak was not normal wear and tear. As a result, we had to pay the bill ourselves. It was very irritating to find out after that this plumber was paid $200+ anyways by the warranty company. What a scam. They don't cover anything. It's unfortunate, we had no choice in which home warranty company was selected when we purchased our home.

Original review: March 22, 2019

We bought a home in 2018 and the homeowner provided a policy with this company. We have had a water softener and a water heater that broke which were covered by this so called policy. Both times the company gave us runarounds when we tried to collect. They finally covered a small portion of the water softener and denied any coverage for the heater. They try to wear you down and since you need the repair done, especially with a water heater, you tend to just go ahead and buy at retail prices. They are terrible to work with and I would never recommend them to anyone.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I purchased my house in July 2016, it came with a platinum protection plan through Old Republic. I renewed the plan in 2017 and 2018 for $750 each year plus $100 for each service call. My dishwasher broke down twice within a few months of each other so that was $200 that I had to pay out. My dishwasher broke down again for the third time along with my refrigerator, I called them to have someone sent out and after a month and a half they still didn’t send anybody out to fix my refrigerator, not only did I not have a refrigerator for a month and a half but everything in there spoiled.

I finally gave up and went to Home Depot and bought a new dishwasher and refrigerator for $3100. I did as cancellation online with Old Republic 5 months before it expired so hopefully they will do the right thing and refund me for the remaining 5 months. I now have a home warranty with another company that has much better ratings plus it is saving me $400 a year and the service calls are only $50.

Original review: March 12, 2019

Old Republic promises home protection but all they give you is the runaround. They find every way to avoid covering problems, shifting their excuse to avoid covering a repair until you just give up and hire someone at your own expense. This company is absolute trash. Their customer service is awful, too.

Old Republic Home Protection expert review by Michele Lerner

Old Republic Home Protection has been in business for more than 40 years. Founded in 1974 as Dependable Home Warranty, which provided services only in California, the company joined Old Republic International in 1982 and has been expanding the number of states it serves annually.

• Enhanced coverage: Unlike most home warranty companies, Old Republic covers repairs or replacements even if the problem is due to lack of maintenance, rust or an unknown pre-existing condition.

• Customer satisfaction: Old Republic conducts weekly random surveys of their customers to provide an additional check on their service providers.

• High coverage limits: Old Republic covers the repair or replacement of most items up to $1000 to $1500 per year; kitchen refrigerators are covered up to $2500.

• Delayed coverage: While the warranty program goes into effect immediately if it’s purchased during a real estate transaction, the coverage is delayed for 30 days after payment if a homeowner purchases it.

• Cancellation fee: While there’s no penalty for cancelling within the first 20 days, after that, customers will pay a 10% penalty in some states.

• Best for: home sellers, first-time homebuyers and real estate agents.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
      Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

Old Republic Home Protection Company Information