1.0/5 (50 ratings)

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

View Plans

About Old Republic Home Protection

Old Republic Home Protection, formerly known as Dependable Home Warranty, offers one-year service contracts that cover home system and appliance repairs for the sellers and buyers of resale homes. The company offers multiple plans to fit every budget with optional add-ons available. Coverage is available in 27 states and Washington, D.C.

Find Home Warranties, Service Plans partners near you

Pros

• Customizable coverage
    • Educational resources
    • Clear pricing

Cons

• Not available in all states

Bottom Line

Old Republic Home Protection has easy-to-understand plans with transparent pricing. Its customizable coverage is convenient and flexible but only available in 27 states and Washington, D.C

Top Old Republic Home Protection Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

As a Realtor, I recommend this company to all my sellers and buyers. I maintain this warranty platinum edition on my personal home - renewing annually... I have saved $2700 in rep...

Verified

There are many home warranty companies in the marketplace and I highly recommend Old Republic for your home warranty company. They are easy to reach, quick in finding excellent se...

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

View Plans

What is Old Republic Home Protection?

Old Republic Home Protection is a home warranty company that offers multiple plans and has a 24/7 service department that lets you make a claim when it's convenient for you.

Old Republic Home Protection offers service in 27 states and Washington, D.C., and its website has a map of the states it serves. Click on your state to view a brochure detailing Old Republic Home Protection’s coverage in your state in English and Spanish.

Old Republic Home Protection plans

Old Republic has three plans and numerous add-ons:

• Essential Coverage: This affordable plan from Old Republic Home Protection covers several major home systems (including heating, cooling, plumbing and electrical) and some appliances (excluding washer, dryer and kitchen refrigerator).
    • Standard Coverage: This plan from Old Republic Home Protection covers several major home systems (including heating, plumbing, and electrical) and most kitchen appliances (including dishwashers, trash compactors, kitchen exhaust fans, ranges, ovens, cooktops, built-in microwaves), as well as garage door openers and central vacuums. Air conditioning systems, washer, dryer, and kitchen refrigerator are included in Standard Coverage in some states.
    • Ultimate Protection: Ultimate Protection includes everything in the Standard Plan plus increased coverage for correcting code violations, haul away, permits, and more. It also includes enhanced system and appliance coverage.
    • Platinum Protection: Old Republic’s most comprehensive offering, the Platinum Protection plan, offers everything in the Standard and Ultimate plans and more, including higher limits and extended plumbing coverage.
    • Optional add-ons: You can customize your coverage with add-ons to take care of additional equipment, including your HVAC system, pool or roof.

Old Republic Home Protection’s contract term is usually 12 months, with 13-month and two-year plans available in some states. As of March 2021, Old Republic Home Protection provides home warranties during a real estate transaction — if interested, talk to your real estate agent.

Old Republic Home Protection coverage

Old Republic’s warranties cover the following home systems, appliances and specialty items.

Systems
    • Septic system
    • Well pump
    • Booster pump
    • Water softeners
    • Swimming pool and spa equipment
    • Solar hot water system
    • Solar pool/spa components
    • Free-standing ice maker
    • Standalone freezer

Old Republic cost

Old Republic Home Protection’s annual premiums start at $300 to $1,600 for condos and single-family homes up to 9,999 square feet and $400 to $1,900 for multiunit properties. Service fees range from $65 to $100 with an average of $75. We’ve broken down expected annual costs based on home type for Old Republic Home Protection plans in Texas below.

Home typeStandard CoverageUltimate CoveragePlatinum Coverage
    Condo/townhome/mobile home$355$465$695
    Single-family$405$510$615
    Duplex$600$750N/A
    Triplex$900$1,100N/A
    Fourplex$1,150$1,400N/A
    New construction$665$775N/A

Prices are current as of March 2021 and are subject to change. For more details, visit the Old Republic Home Protection website to see a map of where it operates. Click on your state to read a brochure that fully details plan coverage and costs.

Old Republic FAQ

Where is Old Republic available?
    Old Republic is available in Washington, D.C., and the following 27 states: Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington and Wyoming.
    Does Old Republic require a home inspection?
    No, you can get a home warranty from Old Republic without a home inspection.
    Can I cancel my Old Republic home warranty?
    Yes, you can cancel your Old Republic Home Protection home warranty. If you do, in most states you get a prorated refund, but you must also pay any service costs incurred and a processing fee.
    Does Old Republic have a service work guarantee?
    Yes. Old Republic guarantees service work for 30 days.

Is Old Republic worth it?

Old Republic Home Protection might be worth it if you’re buying or selling a home or looking for a home warranty to cover the systems and appliances in your current home. We like that the company has customizable coverage and educational resources on its website.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Old Republic Home Protection?

Original review: Sept. 27, 2022

My HVAC was broken in August and I had to pay for a part that was not covered. In September I got it broken again and I had to replace another part that was not covered by the warranty but the unit still didn't work. I had to replace the third part that was also not covered by the warranty. So basically nothing was covered by the warranty I was paid for. Contractors that were sent to my house wanted cash with no invoice so I wouldn't even have what was replaced/fixed. The HVAC still didn't work so I had to find independent contractor to fix it. Please don't go with Old Republic Home Protection warranty, they will not cover your home.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

I am an active member and took home insurance when I got a new house in San Jose. Let me put it straight and save a few of your precious earned dimes; THIS IS A SCAM, DO NOT FALL FOR IT. I have been trying to get my HVAC UNIT fixed for the past three months, and all I have been doing is running back and forth, finding new contractors because network service providers are incompetent. I have the same issues with them for other electronics as well. PLEASE DO YOURSELF A FAVOR, DO NOT BUY THIS INSURANCE.

I am happy to answer any questions a new insurance buyer may have; I am planning to share my experience with the old title on a much larger scale so that I can save a few of you from this SCAM! THEY DON'T DESERVE A SINGLE STAR EVEN. They should be banned from being in service and return hard-earned money that we all have paid to them. I wish I could take legal action against them. And I guess what? I am on their most premium plan. I live in Willow Glen, SJ.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2022

ORHP authorized out of network repairs for 2 policies I have with them. I paid the contractors and submitted the paid invoices totally over $1100 to them. That started in July 2022. I’ve emailed at least 5 times, called and emailed management. I have yet to receive my reimbursement!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2022

This company should be allowed to continue to sell warranty in CA. Claims are always denied and still have to pay $75.00 each time you file a claim. Had Old Republic home warranty for a year. Got it when I bought my house. My stovetop needs to be replaced but Old Republic denied the claim saying they do not cover this model. Total joke. I have to now buy a stovetop out of pocket. Why have home warranty if you can not able to get coverage. Will switch warranty ASAP.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2022

I have been without an oven for 3 months and counting. A board was to be sent off and to be returned repaired in 5-7 days. Nothing has happened to date. I call daily and wait, like many others have said, for an hour to reach, for the most part, a pleasant but not helpful CSR. The CSR have no authority or information regarding a resolution. I was told multiple times that a manager would call me back. Never happened. I filed a BBB complaint, escalated to the corporate Old Republic office and still no oven and no follow-up. I did receive a call from a corporate manager, Ali, who assured me he would follow-up and call back. I have left Ali 3 messages and no call back.

I am truly at a loss at how this company stays in business. My warranty was given to me when we bought our home, I am sure they will be calling for a renewal in December. LOL. Bottom line, set your money on fire before entering into an agreement with Old Republic. I am beyond frustrated and going to buy a new oven since this company is absolutely useless. Thank goodness it was not my air conditioning. One of the most frustrating experiences I have EVER encountered.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2022

Worst possible service. There is no call back option for their authorization department, where the wait time is 1 hour every time I call. Staffs in authorization dept were so rude and even hung up the call, unable to answer questions. Really frustrated after waiting for 1 hour. And their plan finds every loophole to avoid services, like they don't do service if part is under manufacturer warranty. Definitely not recommended. I have placed service for Ac repair once month back and still waiting to get it fixed.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2022

Had an problem with my central a/c and was referred to use one of their HVAC contractors. Upon looking up the reviews on the contractor, all I found was scathing reviews showing how unhappy customers were with them. I requested using my own A/C contractor and had to wait for 'authorization' on a $1,000 job to replace the blower motor. After days of waiting on-hold for 1+ hours each time, the authorization came through for only $325. She said that is THEIR cost and would not pay a dime more. Such a scam. Looks as if I was being punished for not using their '1 star' HVAC contractor. So if you're looking for a Home Warranty company, skip Old Republic Home Protection. (Even if it's 'given' to you by a Realtor in the purchase of a home.)

Original review: Aug. 10, 2022

Misleading information from numerous ORP personnel led to confusion, frustration, and questionable financial responsibility. I purchased a seller's policy for coverage when my husband and I decided to sell our home (seller's policy #**). Our Realtor suggested the seller's policy, and we complied. We have now negotiated an offer, and the closing should occur within the next couple of months. However, shortly after putting our home up for sale, one of our A/C units failed. It had cooled the first-floor bedrooms (3) and a bathroom. Unfortunately, potential buyers often commented on how uncomfortably hot that side of the house was, and this aspect contributed negatively to their visits. Please examine your internal records to confirm when I called to place the service request, when a technician examined the unit, related events, and numerous telephone communications, all of which involved my being placed on hold for several hours.

I was told the additional ORP $70 A/C option would fully cover any necessary repairs or replacement. The ORP-assigned service provider charged me $100 for his initial visit, and then said we would have to pay $950 for a new unit. When I called ORP for clarification, one agent agreed that we should have no payment due; ORP would fully cover the new unit. In a subsequent series of telephone inquiries, I was told by several agents that we would owe $950, and then an agent said we would owe $1,643. Why did I receive such an array of answers to a simple question?

Finally, I still believe our seller's policy should have fully covered the repair and that no additional payment was due from us. Please review this situation and reply at your earliest convenience. The technician is scheduled to install the new unit on August 8. Thank you. ———— I believe I should receive a refund of $1,643, the price I paid for an A/C replacement that should have been covered under the optional A/C coverage I bought with a seller's policy on my home (seller's policy #**).

Original review: Aug. 2, 2022

Since visiting this website looking for reviews for ORHP aka Old Republic Home Protection, I am glad to report you're not alone re: a/c issues. Have been a satisfied user in the past until this summer when my a/c compressor gave up due to extreme heat early in July. Granted the unit was probably the original one when the house was built (1993) so it probably reached its lifetime. The service provider came on the same date I placed the request which was on a Saturday. I was surprised by that (still works so I thought). After verifying the issue he gave the option to go on a full a/c replacement (outside unit) which the max covered amount would be $ 3,500 and the rest $6k would have to be paid upon completion. Said no since not in position to put down this kind of money. He said it would request the parts for replacement but warned me that it would take up to a month due to parts shortage (well know issue across the board).

To make the long story short. My agent which is also a friend, made several excuses that he was attempting to contact "corporate" to get a service status, to no avail. Found out today he left the company! OHRP is overwhelmed with claims (particularly a/c related) and can't keep up with it. Also learned that ORHP also sources replacement parts themselves (makes sense since it has buying power). But all the above it's not an excuse to ignore clients and keep them in the dark. I suggest everyone with existing issues go to small claims court and their attorney's attention. I am sure Texas judges will side with us. They know how hot it is here!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2022

They put in a work order. You get charged 75 out of pocket for every work order. They pick the worse possible service providers. They come to your home and don’t know what’s wrong or say they can’t fix it. Waste of money.

Take a Home Warranty Quiz. Get matched with an Authorized Partner.

Old Republic Home Protection Company Information