1.21/5
  • 1 star
Based on 102 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a home warranty company?
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 16, 2017

593 Old Republic Home Protection Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 16, 2017
I have used Old Republic for many years and in the past two months they have become so useless and clueless as a warranty company. They are a disaster.

I paid over $500 for their supposed "Ultimate Coverage" but the only thing here ultimate here is the insult of being told "oh that's not covered". Seems their list of things covered is growing smaller and smaller. Was told by one of their representatives my faucets in my bathroom are "covered" and my leaky shower too and wobbly kitchen faucet, after the plumber came out charged $65 and I get a phone call from Old Republic that Kohler isn't covered, even if it was not Kohler. The customer service is abysmal and lame as can be. I absolutely would NEVER recommend this horrible business due to their completely dishonest business dealings. Run, don't walk from these people. They are the worst!!!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

My clients called and Said I needed to quit using this company. I have used them for years. I write some up for right at a $1000.00. My clients this year are very unhappy with them. They used two different companies on one problem because it wasn't fixed. Part of the ceiling fell down and both companies said it was the other company's fault. It cost my people a lot of money.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

Policy was purchased by home seller who sold us a lemon. Leaks, missing pipes, dangerous wiring. Old Republic sends out THEIR subcontractors who charge 75 bucks to write down what you say to the operator at Old Republic. We had a leak from the sink to the fridge water line. “Not covered.” Old Leaking water heater: “Not Covered.” Faulty wiring: “Not covered.”

This week we discovered a broken pipe that leads to the garage for the clothes washer. They sent another grifter whom immediately began scheming on how to get the coverage in cash. He said he’d overestimate the problem and we could get the cash and pay him to fix the problem another way. EVERY company they send wants to pull some version of this scam. It’s now cost me $300 for these grifters to waste my time and piss me off. At least they’re nice when you call. GRIFTERS. DO NOT USE!!!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

I'm a Real Estate Broker and our office averages 60 - 75 agents so you would think they would pay attention to our service calls since they depend on our referrals but not so. I've had a service claim in for 9 days to repair a covered ceiling fan, 3 back up calls including one to their local rep who has always assured us she would get involved if any of our clients ever had service problems and still, no contact yet from any serviceman. I will be pulling all their fliers from my office today and will not be EVER referring Old Republic again.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

Stay very far away from this company!!! We needed our ice maker repaired and opened up a work order. After 3 days of not hearing from the repair company that had been assigned to the repair, I called and the secretary said she hadn't even opened the request up yet. We scheduled the service for two days later with no guarantee of arrival time. I took the day off of work, only to have her call midday to say they could now not fix this until Monday due to parts. Keep in mind they had never seen the appliance and had no idea what parts they even needed. I call back to Old Republic and they then assign someone else. After waiting another day and a wasted vacation day, I talked to them and they can come out in a few weeks.

I call back and get a third person assigned who cannot come out anytime soon. At that point they were out of options in the Tampa area. After multiple calls and speaking with a supervisor, I was told to find my own repair person and they would do an "out of network" for the service call but I would have to get it authorized in advance. I called Old Republic for the authorization, was immediately transferred to the department that handles this. I have now been on hold for 56 minutes and it is saying I have a 23-minute wait, which I find interesting since it told me 56 minutes ago that I had a 21-minute wait. They give you the option to "call" you back but I don't believe for a minute that will happen.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Old Republic Home Protection?

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

Bought this plan at closing on my home in March 2017. Was told plan covers listed appliances with $100 deductible at closing and policy was received some time later in the mail. Returned to Florida October 11. Garage door opener was not operating correctly. Opened but would not shut unless wall button was held. Called Old Republic at 1 800 972 5985 and explained situation. They said it was covered, but I would have to pay $100 to their contractor when he came to fix the opener. I asked if the $100 is all I would be required to pay to fix my door opener. They said yes. They had me contact A-1 Door Repair Services, Inc at 888 371 4300. To arrange the repair. They arrived in an unmarked vehicle and spent 10 minutes looking at the opener, then told me the circuit board was shorted out in one place, but he didn't have the parts to fix it with him and they would have to see if they could get the part. Then he asked me to pay the $100.

Before I paid I asked again, "Is this my total cost to get this fixed?" He said, "Yes." I said, "What if you can't get the part?" He said, "Then we will replace it." I said okay and paid with my credit card. (My brother witnessed both conversations when I asked about the $100 deductible.) The A-1 guy said his office would contact me the next morning to let me know how it will be fixed or replaced. No one called. So, I called them. I was told it would not be fixed because Old Republic denied the claim. I demanded my $100 back. They said, they didn't get the money, it went to Old Republic. I called them and they refused to fix the opener, because they said the door was out of balance and the failure was caused by a surge. I asked what that had to do with denying the claim. They said surges are not covered and referred me to some fine print in the policy. I said, "Then I want my $100 back so I can get it fixed."

They said it's not refundable because it's a service fee. I asked to speak with a supervisor, and she refused to let me speak to one, saying I had to file a written complaint. I said, "Both your representative and the A-1 contractor told me all I would have to pay to get my opener fixed was the $100, and now you are not fixing it and charging me $100 to tell me it's broken." She said, "We don't have to refund your money because it says in your policy, you must pay the "service charge" whether or not we fix the problem." She pointed me to more fine print. That was the first time I ever knew that was a part of the contract.

I asked for my $100 back and to cancel my policy and refund my money, because they are not paying claims. I asked, "What qualifications A-1 had to prove their analysis of the problem." She said, "They wrote it on their ticket." I said, "I would have my attorney contact them and file a complaint with the Florida Attorney General." She told me how to file my written complaint. And still refused to let me speak to a supervisor. I told her, "I can't wait for all this written correspondence to get my door fixed." She said, "Have a nice day."

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

Realtor paid for this Home protection plan as a housewarming gift when we purchased the home in June. She purchased their best plan which included A/C repair. Old Republic doesn't seem to have contractors that care. Called to have a leak in my shower valve fixed. Contractor turned the valve on full blast and flooded the wall. Then turned it on a second time. Told me that I had to remove the shower tile before he could work on it. The shower tile is part of about 100 sq/ft of bathroom tile.

A second contractor was supposed to come out and look at the problem. No show, no call. Got an ok to hire my own plumber. Was charged $833 which is thousands less than removing tile. ORHP charged me the $75 deductible and sent me $145. My second call was for my refrigerator which shut down. They sent a service order to Scott's Appliance repair in Salinas CA (don't use) who couldn't come out for 2 weeks. Called ORHP and they reassigned the job to Alpha Appliance Repair in Salinas (I do recommend) who came out the same day. Ordered parts and fixed the problem when the parts arrived.

Now my Dacor stove vent fan has stopped working so I called ORHP. They assigned the job to Scott's Appliance Repair so I asked then to reassign the job to another contractor. They said dispatch would have to reassign the job and they would call me. No Call back so I called them at the end of the day. No reassignment. I called Scott's to ask when they would be able to give me an appointment. Not for 10 days. I told them I saw smoke and was afraid I would have a fire. The lady said "Oh I just had a cancellation on the call before so we can come out on Thur. (in 2 days) and we will call you to let you know if it will be morning or afternoon."

It's Thursday with no call from Scott's as to what time they will be here. Scott's did not answer the phone and the Voicemail box is full. Stuck at home all day instead of half a day. Hope they show up. Note: Would have used Alpha Appliance Repair but they are not qualified to work on the Dacor stove. Tip: If you purchase ORHP, they only cover items that were working and then broke down. Items are not covered if they were not working when you purchased the home.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

Attempting to have our AC fixed. Called this weekend... first AC vendor is no longer in business. Called and got a second AC vendor. Second vendor is closed–for three weeks. So, now I get to call again and try another wonderful Old Republic vendor. Oh joy! BTW... When you request a new vendor you are delayed one more business day! By the rate we are going we will have AC by winter! For those of you that are looking for a brilliant business plan... please make note of this model... Take customer premium payments then hire vendors that are never available so you never have to pay out!!! Win for the company only. Fellow consumers do yourself a favor... save yourself the cash and frustration and pass on Old Republic.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

Called ORHP for a refrigerator repair. Temperature wasn’t right and turning dial wasn’t helping. Also had a small leak at the water & ice dispenser. 8/22/17 an appliance repair company came to repair. He said he knew exactly what the problem was. Thermostat was out and we were in luck, just happened to have one In his truck. He replaced it. He also turned The temp up 1/4 by in the fridge side. Not sure what he did to fix the leak in the water & ice dispenser. I was busy somewhere else in the house.

Later that evening we noticed our milk and other items in fridge were frozen. Tried to turn down the fridge temp but knobs wouldn’t turn very easy. Also had water in kitchen floor. Mopped up a few times. Called him the next morning and he told us he forgot to tell us to run a couple of gallons of water thru it due to there was air in the lines. We ran 12 large pitchers of water through. Still leaking. Called ORHP and asked for a different repair company since now we were having more problems than before we called. We pulled the fridge out and turned off the water to stop the puddles since it would be a few days before the other company could show up.

The other company came on Sept. 9th. Said the first company put in the wrong thermostat and also broke the line going to the filter. That is why it had the leak. They had to order parts. After a couple weeks of buying bags of ice and bottles of water, we called the repair company. Seems like they forgot to order the part. By now we have had to throw out some of the food due to not freezing in the freezer and freezing in the frig. On 10/6/17, we heard a loud banging noise coming out of the freezer. We noticed the freezer wasn’t freezing at all. Called the company and was told the parts would be in on Monday the 12th of Oct. By Saturday we had to throw out everything in the fridge & freezer.

Monday they showed up, tried to fix, had to go get another part. Put it in and it blew something else. Tried for awhile and came in and said it was unfixable. They would contact ORHP. We called ORHP Tuesday to check on and was given the runaround. It had to go to purchasing to calculate all the parts needed to repair it versus replacing it. I am so lost with as long as this has taken and everything that has happened~~~.

But as of Thursday night Oct. 12th, after making the first call on August 22nd, needless to say, we have nothing taken care of and got no return call from a supervisor today. Now we will just go buy a fridge and will have wasted the $575.00 we spent on the warranty. They outlasted us. ORHP 1 Homeowner 0. I do not recommend the frustration!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

As a Realtor, I recommend this company to all my sellers and buyers. I maintain this warranty platinum edition on my personal home - renewing annually. Since August of 2014 when I began coverage on my retirement home, I have saved $2700 in repairs (not including recent HVAC repairs). Most recently in July I had the HVAC compressor & evaporator replaced for $165. My neighbor had the same issue 5 months earlier and paid $3500 in repairs. I recommend the seller's warranty coverage on every listing which converts automatically converts to buyer's coverage at close of escrow. A trade fee call of $65 is all I pay toward each repair service. I wouldn't be without it.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

Save your money and do not get a home warranty through Old Republic. They are the absolute worst. I don't think I have ever been so dissatisfied with a company. They cover nothing! They ask you to diagnose the problem before sending someone out to your house. Hello! If I could tell you the problem and fix it myself, I wouldn't be calling for someone to fix it. We will not renew.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

Just relocated and moved into our newly purchased home. My wife and I had a few items on our repair "punch-list" that required a plumber and electrician. Once connected to the service agent, he began leading me down a path that I didn't like. I knew he was setting me up for something... He kept asking "When did that plug last work? When did the toilet not rock back-forth?" I advised I really don't know as I just moved in 2-weeks ago. He took great pleasure in DENYING every item as they do not cover pre-existing conditions. A huge waste of money for our sellers. SKIP Old Republic and just hire a good electrician/plumber.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

I purchased a small 900 square foot home in Dec. 2016. It's a single story in Las Vegas NV. The prior owners purchased this home warranty plan good for a year. The AC went out around 9/12/2017. I called Old Republic Home Warranty and they sent someone out. The person never came in the house. He looked at the compressor and said it was new. The house was 88 degrees at 6:00 PM. He put Freon in and closed up the very small AC. Overnight the house cooled down to 78. Worked one day then stopped. I called the contractor back told him it stopped working so he came back a couple days later.

This time he said that the compressor was installed incorrectly. He said the filter dryer was not changed out. He said he would notify Old Republic that it was installed wrong. He then proceeded to play around with the connector and it caught fire. By now I'm getting fed up so I told him to email me what parts need to be replaced and how much it will cost. I asked for him to email me because he was from another country and very hard to understand. He never emails anything to me but I get a call from good Old Republic Home Warranty telling me that since it was installed improperly that it wouldn't be covered at all.

I called another AC company to get a second opinion but they couldn't test the AC because the connector was burned out from the last repair guy. I'm now waiting to get a new connector so this other company can give me a 2nd opinion. This company is rude and worthless. The girl that called me to inform me that it wouldn't be covered had a very bad attitude. She might have been tired from maybe marching with BLM. She constantly interrupted me and said if I read the small print on pg. 8 I would see why they wouldn't cover it. I told her that since they weren't going to cover the AC then I wanted to cancel the warranty which the prior owners paid for and is now mine since I purchased the home. She said it had to be in writing and that I may or may not get a partial refund.

Let me tell you, this company isn't worth a stamp. For anybody thinking about a home warranty please look at all these negative reviews. I'm sure most companies like this one are rip offs just out to get your money. They work with their own vendors who make in my case $65.00 or more to show up at your house for a few minutes and usually find a reason to void your warranty. Glad it wasn't my $315.00. I will be doing more follow up on this when I get a new connector installed. Save your money so these crooks hopefully will go out of business.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

My husband and I got a home warranty from Old Republic when we purchased a new home, and from the get-go, the company has been extremely difficult to work with. Most recently, our dishwasher stopped working. We called Old Republic, and they sent someone to repair it. This repairman explained that the issue was with the breaker box, and he said an electrician would need to come to fix that. After more than a week or arguing with the company to send an electrician, someone finally came. He let us know that our entire breaker box really needed to be replaced, but he said Old Republic was much too cheap to do it, so he proceeded to replace only the single broken breaker.

The next day, our pool pump wouldn't work, so after arguing with Old Republic yet again, they sent someone to repair the pool pump. He informed us that it was the breaker box again. Apparently, the electrician who replaced the dishwasher breaker broke the pool pump breaker. Since he wasn't an electrician, he couldn't repair it. So we found ourselves again arguing with Old Republic to send another electrician. We paid the dishwasher repairman $75, the first electrician $75, the pool pump repairman $75, and now Old Republic wants us to pay the second electrician $75!!! All this and they won't even let the second electrician replace the breaker box - they are only clearing him to repair the breaker the other electrician broke!!! You can't make this stuff up!!! We plan to cancel our service with Old Republic and hire a reputable electrician to replace the breaker box. Old Republic is a terrible company with zero interest in serving its customers!!!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I recently had a problem with my HVAC system, which was covered under my home warranty. I have been a victim of the good old bait and switch by this unscrupulous company. After being told on the phone by the CSR what they would pay toward the repair, I received reimbursement that was 50 percent less than I had verbally been promised. When I questioned the discrepancy with management, I was told there was no record of this nor would I be provided a copy of the recorded phone conversation. Shame on you Old Republic. My only recourse... recounting my experience with every social media and consumer review platform that I can access, not to mention contacting the many real estate professionals with whom I work to warn them and their clients about this company. Inexcusable. I have learned a valuable lesson... get everything in writing and record every phone conversation!!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I have had Old Republic Home Warranty for over 4 years. At first they were very helpful and easy to deal with. Not sure what happened in this last year but their customer service is one of the worst I have ever experienced. Not only do you wait on hold for over 30 minutes every time you call, the employees seem to just read off a script and don't even listen to you! I had a service request into them for a leaking toilet at my rental. They sent out a technician that knew nothing about a toilet leak. I will not mention the name of the company. He managed to crack the tank on my toilet while tightening a bolt. So the leak was terrible now opposed to a tiny drip. So Old Republic sent out another company and the technician looked at the toilet and said, "well whatever the guy did before me, cracked your toilet by tightening the bolt at the bottom of the tank beyond its capacity."

Soooo then Old Republic calls me and states they don't cover "cracked" toilets. I tried several times, again on hold for 30 minutes or more each time I called, to explain that it wasn't cracked in the first place! The technician you sent out cracked on the initial so called repair! They would not listen nor did they care! I will never contract with them again. Needless to say my toilet was cracked and leaking due to the incompetent company THEY sent out, now they wouldn't cover that expense, I had to pay $325. for a new toilet install the next day since my tenant needed her toilet!

I called the following day and cancelled my contract that I renewed with them for the 4th year, only having 5 months in and asked for a reimbursement for the remaining 7 months. They said, "Oh yes we will send you $57.!" I paid $625. for the year and had 7 months left! That is some serious fuzzy math! I left more messages, only to have more people call me back that read the same script that I had heard every time before. They want you to get so frustrated that you just drop your dispute. DO NOT USE OLD REPUBLIC! THE WORST!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I had been calling the warrant company to send someone out to see what was wrong with my ac and they sent a company out that at first told me that the ac need cleaning so I did that and paid out of my pocket then the ac was still not cooling. I called the company - no answer. The warrant company called the company no answer. Then they finally answered and they went back out and said that it was totally something different wrong. It need antifreeze so they put that in. Gave it a few days and still not working. The same company came out and said that it was the coils this time and that it would go out soon.

Told the warrant company and they said have to wait until it go out. Okay cool. About week later the same company goes out there and tells the company that someone has been messing with the outside unit and it not wear and tear. So I tell the warrant people why would someone mess with the ac in Texas heat. They tell me that they will not be paying to replace the ac because someone messed with it. And didn't even listen to me but to the same company that didn't answer their calls at time and they even had to get the manager to email the ac company. Worst company and I had been with them for almost 14 years.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

I closed escrow on my home Sep 1st. I had a full inspection done. I made my walk thru the day the sellers moved out Aug 30th, all appliances were in working conditions. I used the dishwasher the day I moved in Sep 1st, did 3 or 4 loads and it was working fine. On Sep 2nd I notice that the floor next to the dishwasher was wet, I opened the dishwasher and I notice 3 to 4 inches of water sitting there. I decided to run another circle and still not filtering the water, I called Old Republic on Sep 3rd around 1145a MST.

I spoke to an agent called Jennifer who refused to give me a last name. I tried to explain what happens and She will cut me off with questions that I answer like "did you get an inspection done, when did you close escrow," without letting me explain exactly what happened. She told me that they won't take my order. When I asked why she replied that because the policy started on the first the dishwasher could be broken before it went in to effect. I explained that I used it several times the 1st and the second, she replied, "you never said that before." She didn't let me explained when I try to talk she just questioned. I asked for a supervisor, she told me that she was. Trained enough and didn't need one, I hung up and try to talk to someone else.

I got a guy named Alex this time, He let me talk and I explained my situation. He told me that Jennifer notated my account and that because of this he couldn't take the order, that next Tuesday he will call after he speaks to a manager and the manager listen to the call. I work in real estate for a Bank and I let Alex know that my realtor and clients will know what a horrible service they provide and will cancel the policy to go with another company. If this happen with a dishwasher I don't want to think what would it happen if the issue was my A.C. I'm very disappointed will not recommend Old Republic to anyone. They wouldn't even give me an order number.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

We got a home warranty because our broker insisted on it and got the seller to pay for it. I did my homework online and ORHP had BAD reviews, American Home Shield and some other companies had better reviews but it look a little too 4-5 star compared to other companies. Back to my topic ORHP. I've been with ORHP for almost 4 years now and I must say I'm satisfied. First of all guys you need to do your homework and read the fine print, what's covered and what's not, it HELPS A LOT when talking to a rep to make a warranty claims and working through. First let me say what all I've had claims since I bought the house. Within a few months our Gas cooker knob got stuck. Called ORHP. They sent someone, tried to fix it, couldn't fix it. They gave me a cashout offer that I took and got it replaced with a brand of my own choice and I decided to upgrade.

About a year into the house the garbage disposal broke, called ORHP. They sent someone to replace it. At first he got a really cheap replacement. THIS IS WHERE DOING YOUR HOMEWORK HELPS. The fine print in my contract (the whole contract is JUST 3 PAGES so yes PLEASE READ IT) said they will replace it with an equivalent model or superior model. I called ORHP and told the rep (very calmly, they are very polite if you're polite) that the contracts says, same, similar or better. Since my garage disposal was over 10 years old, but a premium brand they upgraded me to a premium model and had it replaced in a few days. YES, EVERYTHING TAKES A FEW DAYS, so please don't complain. Just build it into your plan and you'll be happier about it.

A few month later my garage door opener light stopped working. I happen to an engineer so I did a little checking and found one of the relays on the circuit board fried. Back to the contract, it said it will NOT cover Light Bulbs but it DOES cover circuit boards. Again I spoke to ORHP explained that the Circuit board is faulty AND NOT the bulb or the socket. A few minutes of conversation and they agreed to replace it. Same things as earlier, they got me a Contractor Model, I pointed out that I had a premium grade model installed, so they upgraded me to a the next level (this took some convincing but they agreed in the end). A year later the second garage door opener had a similar problem with the circuit board and they ended replacing it, this time with some conversation with a model better since the older model was no longer manufactured.

A few month later in winter my water boiler started leaking, called them up, they sent someone. Similar conversation, same model or better models, did my homework asked about the model numbers compared them and was happy they had picked a good model. Now I was hit with a charge of $600 for doing the work from my end. This really pissed me off at first and likely everyone I was in denial. Then my level head kicked in and I got into the economics of it and the contract.

The contract very cleared stated that they will NOT cover any modification required and code violations. With my house being 20+ years old and most of the equipment with it, yes it didn't adhere to modern code. My issue was with the fact that the contractor was charging me 3x-5x of what someone else would charge me for the same work. But if I decided not to go with him/her, then I had to cash out. The problem with cash out is that it barely covers the cost of the equipment. That's because ORHP has LOTS of buying power and HUGE discounts which we cannot get. So say they said the cashout value of my boiler was $600.

If I went to Lowe's it would cost me about $550-$600 to get a new one similar model. Then an installer would charge me another $800 to install it and the parts etc. With ORHP I had to pay $600 over what they were paying the contractors and I now understand why. They pay the contractors SO LITTLE money for the labor that the contractors only make money by charging you back for it. So they literally paid the contractor $200 for $800 worth of work. So contractor had to charge me the difference $600 to make up for it and they billed it under code violation (e.g. a air tank for $125 where it costs someone else $25). Now that's the trade off. You need to read your print. They were in the right, I have to pay for code violations and modifications but at the end you'll end up paying less than going outside.

Now my AC starting giving trouble and wasn't cooling. NOW I was worried, from everything I've read on these forums. I called them up. They sent someone, he came and said I had a leak my ancient evaporator coil. Same rigmarole, they would charge me $500 for the code violations and modifications. I did the math. To replace the R-22 in my system and a new coil (they gave me a Lennox, I had a carrier originally, again pleased, good quality), and get it all fixed would cost me about $1500-$1800 on the market.

I read the fine print, they covered everything they said they will cover. So the guy got paid $200 from them + $500 from me and they probably paid about $1000-$1100 for the R22 and equipment. I was IMPRESSED! They paid for the repair and I almost half didn't expect them to do it. Again I went through multiple rounds here, called in an expert for an alternative opinion etc. It took 2 weeks to get it all done, but it's peak summer and everyone's busy. But I MUST say they were responsive, even more than the contractors sometimes, answered all my 1000 questions and we all kept our cool.

Guys things take time, read the print, you WILL pay something out of pocket. READ YOUR AGREEMENT, I can't stress this enough. You will get more headway by referring to an agreement than by shouting at them. I know people have bad experiences but after 4 years I can positively say it's a mismatch of expectations. There are some VERY BAD home warranty companies out there what I've heard of from the technicians over the years but ORHP is among the best and I can vouch for it.

Three rules. 1. Thing take times, days to weeks depending up on the load, plan for it. They are helpful, if it's your only AC in the house they will prioritize it, if you have 3 they will tell you it'll take a few days. FYI they got my parts ordered in 2 days flat! 2. Expect to pay something, READ YOUR CONTRACT, negotiate with facts and be ready to pay something. The contracts will ding you, but you'll pay less in the end than going out on your own. Again read your contracts and your limits. I have seen very few limits in ORHP's contracts, whereas others that I've read are far more harsh. So do your homework. 3. Do your homework and read your contract. Do you have a reasonable conversation with ORHP. They are really nice and knowledgeable people, but if you shout they will cut you off. Have a decent conversation, they even helped me figure out how to negotiate with the contractors for non covered charges!

If you haven't heard it enough, here's one more time, read your contract and set your expectations. Then relax and enjoy! Thanks for reading all this and I hope it's been helpful. PS - One last thing, my BIGGEST complaint with ORHP is that they ONLY give a 30 day warranty on their products and work. They should give the standard 1 year. 30 days is just pathetic, often it takes more for trouble to crop up due to a bad install but then it's past 30 days and you need to pay another trade fee.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

STAY AWAY from Old Republic! 3 weeks after moving into our new home the AC stopped working. Old Republic sent out a repair company which didn't fix the problem until an entire week later. Having no AC in July in Florida led to health issues and mold problems within our new home. They wouldn't even supply us with a temporary window AC unit while waiting for parts. Now our oven isn't working and they won't fix the problem because the parts needed by their contractor can be obtained cheaper elsewhere. Therefore we now have to wait for at least 2 weeks to have this issue fixed!? Find another company for your home warranty. It really can't get worse than this one!!!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I've had three warranties with this company at the recommendation at the real estate agent. Worst advise ever. I will no longer use that agent. Old Republic will deny your claim and if you're lucky enough to fight enough to get them to do anything on your claim they send you to companies that go out of business after they do the work. But not before that company charges you a significant amount of money. They won't return calls!!!! I've left 8 messages in 2 days!!!!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2017

I have Old Republic for home warranty coverage. I don't plan on having them much longer. They don't honor their coverage. They drag their feet when a claim is submitted. They are happy to take your premium. But when you need them, they run for cover and deny everything. Do yourself a favor. Don't use them. Better to pay out of pocket yourself because you will end up doing so anyway. For the record, I had a plumbing issue that went denied.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

I ordered the Platinum plan in May of this year. The plan was $975.00 which includes pool repair. I made a service request on August 8th. A service tech didn't arrive at my house until August 12th. When he did arrive, he discovered that I need a new pool pump. He then said that it would take 14 days because the warranty company will only allow them to order through their vendors. I informed him that the delay would cause my pool to turn green from the excessive heat, and in 2 weeks, I would have to pay someone to empty my pool, refill and sanitize which would cost me approximately $500.00 in expenses. I then called a local pool supply company and they informed me that they had several pumps in stock.

When I shared that information with the service tech, he apologized and said he wasn't allowed to use any other vendor, even with the extenuating circumstances. I then called Old Republic and asked them if my pool person could replace the part. They authorized $325.00 to my pool person, and Old Republic authorized $600.00 to their service tech. BEWARE. This fiasco hasn't only caused me stress, over 8 hours of phone time, hours of waiting on hold with Old Republic (when you call, the average wait time to speak with someone in the service department is 35 minutes to an hour), but is also going to cost me money to have the pool drained, cleaned and sanitized!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

Don't waste your money or your time with this terrible company. After paying the first $100 service fee for my AC repair, which immediately needed the same thing repaired again, not only did I then have to pay another service fee, but they also decided that the repair wasn't a covered repair. This cost me another $500+ on top of all the service fees. And I paid that homeowner's warranty premium for what???

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

Home we purchased came with a one year plan. We called for three different items in first 9 months. They fixed one of these problems. They have loopholes for the big ticket items. We had a problem with the pool heater that had been working and obviously been there for years. The technician they send over says it's installed incorrectly, not covered, and here's an estimate for almost $4000.00. Old Republic Home Protection then sends us a $55.00 bill for the trade call. I can get a free heater estimate from any company. It was in the technician's best interest to say it was installed incorrectly. This is a scam, very shady!!!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

This company OLD REPUBLIC is a joke. Purchased home a few months ago. A/C went out and they refuse to cover. Saying the ducting was not the correct size which it was completely wrong. They said ducting airflow was 13" when it was 19". This is really poor company not recommended at all.

Original review: July 22, 2017

We had an AC guy come out that the inspector recommended for our new home. He said he needed to some repairs and would come back. The cost would be about $350.00. We called OR to use our home warranty instead for the first time. First company cancelled after 5 days of no AC so we had to wait another day for a second company. When the guy shuffled in he said the only problem was it needed more Freon. I was like, "That doesn't seem normal, I usually don't have to add Freon to my AC unit." His response was basically, ..."Oh, well. That will be $100.00." And you pay just to get them to leave. Where does the Freon go???

Original review: July 20, 2017

The compressor on our AC went out. Initially they said they would cover the claim but called back to say the manufacturer has a lifetime warranty on the compressor, so they would not cover it. The problem is, the manufacturer only covers the part - no labor, Freon or replacement vent required for repair. They said they won't cover any of that since it's related to the compressor, even if the manufacturer won't cover it. So I paid $595 for the plan, with a $100 service call fee to end up paying $900 out of pocket in repair labor and expenses. BEWARE if any of your covered appliances have a manufacturer's warranty on any part, and this part fails, you are stuck paying the entire repair bill yourself. Manufacturer's "warranty" is not always synonymous with "free repair." You are stuck paying labor and any related parts that need to be replaced in the process.

Old Republic Home Protection will do NOTHING to help you. It's a loophole that most people are not aware of, and you won't find this out until the unit fails. They won't help you contact the manufacturer and order the part either. You are on your own. Terrible company and you are better off putting that money in the bank each year and saving it for repairs yourself.

Original review: July 19, 2017

This company is a joke. Purchased home a few months ago. A/C went out and they refuse to cover. Saying animal urine ruined the unit and it's a pre existing condition. I don't have any pets. Scam scam scam.

Original review: July 19, 2017

This company sells a home warranty with vaguely worded coverage. Their home warranty plan lists that they will cover a refrigerator but they fail to distinguish between the many different types of refrigerators. Their competition is very specific in listing the different types of units including all designs and specifically covering all types as long as they are located in the kitchen. Old Republic and their competition specifically exclude "additional units" that are not in the kitchen. They are refusing coverage for my freezer because it's designed as 2 separate units but they will pay to replace an entire unit based on a broken freezer IF it is attached to the refrigerator even if the function of the refrigerator is not degraded.

The fact that they did not distinguish between the multiple types of refrigerators should mean that my unit is covered simply because they cover all other units that are not distinguished in their plan. Their customer service manager, Pam, hung up the phone on me today then they blocked me from being able to communicate with them on Facebook because I posted my question publicly. This was only done after they hung up on me for asking a question directly related to the reasoning they listed for denying my claim. All of this occurred after they attempted to deny my claim for a bogus reason that the internal thermal shell was not covered. It took me calling the manufacturer to find out that the internal thermal shell was simply the plastic inside the unit. That is not broken.

My freezer won't freeze and that is supposed to be the reason that people purchase these plans. I don't believe that Old Republic is acting in good faith and I believe that the intent and spirit of their plan never meant to exclude my freezer. I read the plan as excluding "additional" refrigerator or freezer and that makes sense. But this is not an additional unit. It's my only freezer and it's in my kitchen.

Old Republic Home Protection expert review by Michele Lerner

Old Republic Home Protection has been in business for more than 40 years. Founded in 1974 as Dependable Home Warranty, which provided services only in California, the company joined Old Republic International in 1982 and has been expanding the number of states it serves annually.

• Enhanced coverage: Unlike most home warranty companies, Old Republic covers repairs or replacements even if the problem is due to lack of maintenance, rust or an unknown pre-existing condition.

• Customer satisfaction: Old Republic conducts weekly random surveys of their customers to provide an additional check on their service providers.

• High coverage limits: Old Republic covers the repair or replacement of most items up to $1000 to $1500 per year; kitchen refrigerators are covered up to $2500.

• Delayed coverage: While the warranty program goes into effect immediately if it’s purchased during a real estate transaction, the coverage is delayed for 30 days after payment if a homeowner purchases it.

• Cancellation fee: While there’s no penalty for cancelling within the first 20 days, after that, customers will pay a 10% penalty in some states.

• Best for: home sellers, first-time homebuyers and real estate agents.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner

Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

Old Republic Home Protection Company Information