Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes
1.13/5

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

729 Old Republic Home Protection Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

Sent an sub-standard company to check my system (which cost me $100) and the company reported back that the system had cut wires and was missing parts, which was totally untrue! (It has since been checked by a REPUTABLE company.) Old Republic said therefore, there was no coverage and they could not help. They will not return phone calls to-date and have been dragging these situation out for weeks. It appears they will take all means possible not to pay a claim! This company should be avoided at all costs. Buying a home warranty from them is throwing your money away!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

I purchased a townhome that was covered by Old Republic and it had an additional coverage of plumbing. I called several times about the heat and the 2nd or 3rd time one of their vendors came out he said the heating system was wired wrong. Old Republic would not send anyone else out until I got the wiring fixed. I ended up having to have a whole new heating and air system along with new trunk lines. There went $8800. I had to have the stove replaced because it was a 30 year old system and no parts were available to fix it. They did send me a check of what it would cost to find a stove comparable to it so I made out good on that one.

Bought townhome in September and by February I was really sick with respiratory issues. Found out I had mold in my lungs so had house tested and it had black mold as well as several other kinds. They would not cover anything for this nor the repairs so that was about $15,000 to do the testing, the remediation, and the repairs. Then about 2 weeks ago my washer leaked and I went online on the Sunday it happened and complete a report. I never got anything back from them. I called them back on the following Tuesday and had to leave a message for someone to call me back. They never called. I finally called them today and she had no record of me calling or reporting it. Imagine that. I had to use my insurance company and pay $1,400 out of pocket. So I am out of pocket on this house by approx. $25,000 so i don't think a $760 annual renewal fee is worth it in my opinion. I will save that money for future repairs.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

I am a tenant in a property that has a home warranty through Old Republic. They did not like the quote from the first company that came out to replace the A/C coils in an old unit. They had the Landlord get another company to come out. It has been one week and the coils have still not arrived. The A/C company told me that they would not give him a date when they would arrive nor a tracking number. The landlord called and tried to get a tracking number and they were told they would not provide one. The original A/C company would have had them here next day with express service. No one wanted to pay for that. I am renting a house with no A/C in Bryan, Tx where the temperatures are exceeding 100 degrees and the internal temperature of the house has been as high as 94 degrees. Shame on the Warranty company and shame on the Landlord.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

This company makes you pay a whole lot of money and does not resolve your issues when you need it. Paid about $800 and when I needed repairs, they never resolved the issue. SCAMMERS! DO NOT PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM THEM!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

I just purchased a house and have Old Republic home warranty protection. I had to call Old Republic due to issues with 1 of my tankless water heaters. They couldn't get someone out here for a few days so said I could call someone myself and they would reimburse me or wait a few days for them to send someone out. The plumber came out, "Diagnosed" the problem and installed the parts. I called Old Republic later the same day to let them know the issue was NOT fixed and they said they would send the plumber back out and I would not have to pay the service call fee because it's the same issue.

The plumbers now are saying I need to modify my gas line going to the water heater and it is not in code. Old Republic is covering to have this fixed but there are non-covered cost for the gas line outside the house. Old Republic has been going back and forth with plumbers on the non-covered cost and trying to figure out why it is so high. Got tired of waiting for the plumbers and told Old Republic we would take the pay out so we can fix it ourselves (The Plumbing Co they use is known around town for doing ** work). My only complaint is the amount of time it's taking to get the checks. It's been 2 weeks and still nothing.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Old Republic Home Protection?

Original review: Aug. 17, 2019

I had a water heater leaking and it had to be replaced. They only paid $500 which left me with over $800 to pay. So what is the point? If you add up what I paid yearly for the warranty and what I paid out-of-pocket plus the trade fee, I pretty much bought myself a new water heater. Don’t waste your money. Just put some money in savings. Not worth it.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

I have no idea why a title company would even allow Old Republic home warranty as a warranty option. We have had 3 different ac companies out and 1 appliance company. In all cases Old Republic sends the worse reviewed companies in town. I ended up for both the ac and the appliance to find my own reputable companies to address my issues. I wish I would have read the reviews before ever going with Old Republic but I suspect they are all terrible.

Original review: May 28, 2019

So I bought a house 6 years ago, I diligently went through all of my options regarding companies and plans and determined I wanted the “medium plan” from ORH, unfortunately my real estate agent signed me up for the bottom of the line plan so things I wanted to be covered weren’t, and I didn’t notice until after the 30 day upgrade window. At the time they said I could upgrade when I renewed, but when I renewed “they change their policy.” I had pretty good service with them if you consider anytime I needed to have something fixed it took them about two weeks because they had to get the parts. Since I was only paying for the call it wasn’t that bad. But I was a little annoyed that my 40 yr old dishwasher “just fine” and that the only thing wrong with it was Florida’s hard water. I call BS so I had to replace it myself.

They screwed up and replaced my washing machine because the tech didn’t write down the model number? I would have given it to them... but they CHOSE to replace it! And it’s not my fault that the guys who fixed the fridge blew out the starter so it went from making noise to broke! Then this year (I now have mostly new appliances) they decided to not insure me! WTF? And they didn’t send me anything in the mail. They sent me ONE email 15 days before my policy expires! That is RIDICULOUS! The email got caught in my junk mail so I never got it. Seriously HORRIBLE business practices!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

Had problems with garage door. Called Old Republic. They would not cover somebody to come out because I did not put screws back in the case. Okay fine. I paid out of my own pocket. Problems again with garage door. Called back. They said they would not cover it because I did not send them a receipt from 3 years ago that prove that I paid out of my own pocket. Told them nobody told me to send a receipt. They said it was in the fine print on the brochure. Got hung up two times. Very rude customer service. Kept transferring me. Told them going to cancel. They told me put it in writing and send them a letter.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

RUN!! We recently purchased a home in Queen Creek AZ. Upon moving in, we discovered that the garbage disposal, sink and dishwasher failed to drain properly. While we have an inspection, the water wasn't run long enough and the dishwasher wasn't run long enough as well. I contacted this company to exercise my rights under the warranty. I explained to Keisha that it did appear that someone had attempted to repair it but it looked as though it was done incorrectly. She told me that if it looked like someone tampered with it, they do not cover it. REALLY??? Why am I at fault? I just moved in! Plus they charge you $75.00 to have someone come look at the problem. It's typical insurance. Pay the premium and they do anything they can to not honor their end of the bargain. RUN RUN RUN and do not fall into the same trap I just did.

Old Republic Home Protection expert review by Michele Lerner

Old Republic Home Protection has been in business for more than 40 years. Founded in 1974 as Dependable Home Warranty, which provided services only in California, the company joined Old Republic International in 1982 and has been expanding the number of states it serves annually.

• Enhanced coverage: Unlike most home warranty companies, Old Republic covers repairs or replacements even if the problem is due to lack of maintenance, rust or an unknown pre-existing condition.

• Customer satisfaction: Old Republic conducts weekly random surveys of their customers to provide an additional check on their service providers.

• High coverage limits: Old Republic covers the repair or replacement of most items up to $1000 to $1500 per year; kitchen refrigerators are covered up to $2500.

• Delayed coverage: While the warranty program goes into effect immediately if it’s purchased during a real estate transaction, the coverage is delayed for 30 days after payment if a homeowner purchases it.

• Cancellation fee: While there’s no penalty for cancelling within the first 20 days, after that, customers will pay a 10% penalty in some states.

• Best for: home sellers, first-time homebuyers and real estate agents.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
      Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

Old Republic Home Protection Company Information