Find a Home Warranties partner

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

About Old Republic Home Protection

Old Republic Home Protection, formerly known as Dependable Home Warranty, offers one-year service contracts that cover home system and appliance repairs for the sellers and buyers of resale homes. The company offers multiple plans to fit every budget with optional add-ons available. Coverage is available in 27 states and Washington, D.C.

Find Home Warranties, Service Plans partners near you

Pros

• Customizable coverage
    • Educational resources
    • Clear pricing

Cons

• Not available in all states

Bottom Line

Old Republic Home Protection has easy-to-understand plans with transparent pricing. Its customizable coverage is convenient and flexible but only available in 27 states and Washington, D.C

Top Old Republic Home Protection Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

As a Realtor, I recommend this company to all my sellers and buyers. I maintain this warranty platinum edition on my personal home - renewing annually... I have saved $2700 in rep...

Verified

There are many home warranty companies in the marketplace and I highly recommend Old Republic for your home warranty company. They are easy to reach, quick in finding excellent se...

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

What is Old Republic Home Protection?

Old Republic Home Protection is a home warranty company that offers multiple plans and has a 24/7 service department that lets you make a claim when it's convenient for you.

Old Republic Home Protection offers service in 27 states and Washington, D.C., and its website has a map of the states it serves. Click on your state to view a brochure detailing Old Republic Home Protection’s coverage in your state in English and Spanish.

Old Republic Home Protection plans

Old Republic has three plans and numerous add-ons:

• Essential Coverage: This affordable plan from Old Republic Home Protection covers several major home systems (including heating, cooling, plumbing and electrical) and some appliances (excluding washer, dryer and kitchen refrigerator).
    • Standard Coverage: This plan from Old Republic Home Protection covers several major home systems (including heating, plumbing, and electrical) and most kitchen appliances (including dishwashers, trash compactors, kitchen exhaust fans, ranges, ovens, cooktops, built-in microwaves), as well as garage door openers and central vacuums. Air conditioning systems, washer, dryer, and kitchen refrigerator are included in Standard Coverage in some states.
    • Ultimate Protection: Ultimate Protection includes everything in the Standard Plan plus increased coverage for correcting code violations, haul away, permits, and more. It also includes enhanced system and appliance coverage.
    • Platinum Protection: Old Republic’s most comprehensive offering, the Platinum Protection plan, offers everything in the Standard and Ultimate plans and more, including higher limits and extended plumbing coverage.
    • Optional add-ons: You can customize your coverage with add-ons to take care of additional equipment, including your HVAC system, pool or roof.

Old Republic Home Protection’s contract term is usually 12 months, with 13-month and two-year plans available in some states. As of March 2021, Old Republic Home Protection provides home warranties during a real estate transaction — if interested, talk to your real estate agent.

Old Republic Home Protection coverage

Old Republic’s warranties cover the following home systems, appliances and specialty items.

Systems
    • Septic system
    • Well pump
    • Booster pump
    • Water softeners
    • Swimming pool and spa equipment
    • Solar hot water system
    • Solar pool/spa components
    • Free-standing ice maker
    • Standalone freezer

Old Republic cost

Old Republic Home Protection’s annual premiums start at $300 to $1,600 for condos and single-family homes up to 9,999 square feet and $400 to $1,900 for multiunit properties. Service fees range from $65 to $100 with an average of $75. We’ve broken down expected annual costs based on home type for Old Republic Home Protection plans in Texas below.

Home typeStandard CoverageUltimate CoveragePlatinum Coverage
    Condo/townhome/mobile home$355$465$695
    Single-family$405$510$615
    Duplex$600$750N/A
    Triplex$900$1,100N/A
    Fourplex$1,150$1,400N/A
    New construction$665$775N/A

Prices are current as of March 2021 and are subject to change. For more details, visit the Old Republic Home Protection website to see a map of where it operates. Click on your state to read a brochure that fully details plan coverage and costs.

Old Republic FAQ

Where is Old Republic available?
    Old Republic is available in Washington, D.C., and the following 27 states: Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington and Wyoming.
    Does Old Republic require a home inspection?
    No, you can get a home warranty from Old Republic without a home inspection.
    Can I cancel my Old Republic home warranty?
    Yes, you can cancel your Old Republic Home Protection home warranty. If you do, in most states you get a prorated refund, but you must also pay any service costs incurred and a processing fee.
    Does Old Republic have a service work guarantee?
    Yes. Old Republic guarantees service work for 30 days.

Is Old Republic worth it?

Old Republic Home Protection might be worth it if you’re buying or selling a home or looking for a home warranty to cover the systems and appliances in your current home. We like that the company has customizable coverage and educational resources on its website.

Old Republic Home Protection Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Old Republic Home Protection?

Original review: July 23, 2021

I called ORHP to report A/C problem. THEY SENT AN A/C guy who fixed something but it broke again that night. He recommended an electrician. The electrician replaced a circuit breaker. A/C broke again that night. I tried calling Old Republic Home Protection but no one would answer the phone. I called the A/C guy directly but I think ORHP should be better at customer service. After all that is their only service. They don’t actually fix your problems they just call someone else. Answering the phone is their primary responsibility. That is why I gave them a poor rating.

Original review: July 13, 2021

Our issue with our home began on June 17th. I put in the work order online, which was simple to do. We were contacted by OR about the issue and a plumber was dispatched to our home. After it was determined that this was an emergency, I contacted OR to make this a priority, meaning the plumber would come out in 24 hours instead of 5 days. OR neglected to send the paperwork right then, but the plumber was able to come out late, on a Friday. After the diagnosis, we still waited almost a week to find out what would be done. They needed us to approve our out of pocket costs, which I did the next day. However, they neglected to give this information to the plumber, so I had to call OR again to have them submit it, so we could get on the schedule for repair.

After waiting 2 more weeks, the plumber has arrived and in the process told us that they don't fix any sheetrock damage that has to be done. I called OR and the young lady I talked to was very rude. I needed to know if we would incur anymore out of pocket costs for that and who would be fixing it. Mind you, I don't know what to do about that, which is why I called. Her response was 'whoever you want to fix it.' Without going word for word into the conversation, she answered my question, all while overtalking me and hanging up in my face after. For these reasons, we will NOT use OR for our home warranty anymore.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 30, 2021

Poor customer service. Every time you call, you get different answers to your questions. They would rather put a bandage on a problem with your components, charge you trade fees each call and it never gets fixed properly. I should have cancelled a long time ago. Don’t live and learn like I did. Save your monthly premium and pay to get things fixed properly!

Original review: June 29, 2021

Don't. Just don't! This is a huge waste of money. Takes hours to get them to answer to place a service call or for any reason that you need to contact them. Once you give all of the details to the person who answers, they then transfer you to another person and you have to repeat everything just to open a service call. Their online portal makes you think you can place requests there but after you enter all of the data it directs you to call anyway.

Let me give you some examples. They cover NOTHING that is pre-exisiting. 2 faucets went bad in the home I just purchased. The approved faucets used were cheap (not real chrome) quality and they would not even allow the plumber to replace the drain that came with the faucet in the same box. I am left with chrome fake faucets and bronze drains. A thermostat went bad on HVAC. They do not give you back the same high quality all digital model. Everything is replaced with low cost basic contractor grade. My realtor praised this company. What a joke. Must have been some kind of kickback.

Original review: June 26, 2021

Old Republic is just stealing customers money and I feel that nothing is being done about this matter. I am on the same boat with the rest of the customers. I am currently having issues with my HVAC. They sent an Eco Pro technician to diagnose my HVAC and charged me $95 for an on call fee, they also sent an invoice to Old Republic of the amount of $1245 est. and got denied because it was too much for the company to pay. I just don't understand the company's intent as an insurance or warranty company and to not do anything but collect customers money. I won't renew my warranty and going to setup an account to put money away to be able to cover my equipment around the house because I can't depend on this warranty company.

Original review: June 23, 2021

My air conditioning went out in the summer. They told me to get an estimate and then call the authorizations department to get the repair approved. I called the authorizations department and they would not answer the phone. You must navigate 15 minutes of automated phone systems then you go on hold forever. They won't answer the phone, they won't call you back. If you speak to a person they tell you they can't do anything until you talk to authorizations which is a dead-end. The next part of the process is for me to pay for the fix and them reimburse me. Something tells me they are not going to pay anything.

Original review: June 21, 2021

It took me 15 minutes to get through the ridiculous automated phone menu, just to be put on hold for over an hour. I'm still not sure any human beings work for this company. Why am I going through all this trouble? They wanted to repair my heating unit, that was already older than the expected life. We decide to replace the system. ORHP said they would PAY what they thought was a reasonable amount to make the repairs. GREAT! Except they haven't actually paid. In fact, they still want an itemized invoice...we don't have an invoice. It's being financed for 5 years. And they aren't paying what we actually bought, they are paying what they agreed to pay...someday. It's been over 3 months. Still on hold as I type...

Original review: May 28, 2021

First repair took 7 weeks, so no heat for all that time. They kept lying to me about status and slow rolling me. Now after needing a second repair, we're 2 weeks in and it's the same story. "Oh it should just be a few days. We're 'expediting' it." But I'm still without AC and the repair company says they don't know why and has no info from ORHP. ORHP apparently sat on this and did nothing for at least a week. Also, if you don't have a name or extension, expect to spend 20-30 minutes on hold waiting. If you leave a message because you can't get your representative, they just ignore it, so you have to call back anyhow.

Resolution response: May 25, 2021

Our geographically dedicated Account Executive has been very easy and helpful to communicate with via email. I am now expecting a refund on the extra $150 fee I should have never had to pay. Will update to 4 or 5 stars when I don't have to go through this ordeal to pay the correct amount of money for covered services. ORHP needs much better policing/training of their contractors and better transparency upfront toward their customers. Also, be able to answer the phone within 3 minutes or less, not 45.

Original review: May 24, 2021

I am sitting here right now as I write this with a representative from the garage door repair company at my home, sent by ORHP, who is here to fix a broken torsion spring above our garage door. I spent 45 minutes on hold last week to speak with a representative of ORHP who, when I finally was able to speak with someone, assured me that we were covered for torsion springs and it would not cost any more than the $100 deductible.

However, this gentleman is telling me they charge a $150 balancing fee on top of the $150 deductible – a total of $250. I had a company outside of the ORHP channel quote me $175 total. I however went with ORHP’s vendor, thinking I should save money by using the home warranty we are covered under... Yet here I am, out an extra $75 because I am using our home warranty company??? This makes no sense to me and the costs were NOT clearly communicated upfront. I asked numerous times and received no better answer than “$100.” IF you can even get through to a real person who works for ORHP, it will take 45 minutes and they will give you completely inaccurate information. SAVE YOUR TIME. SAVE YOUR MONEY. SCAM COMPANY.

Original review: April 13, 2021

Purchased a home and the sellers and our agent provided an Old Republic Home Warranty to make us feel comfortable with the purchase. 9 Days after the purchase the A/C quit working. Called, they sent a repairman the next day and lo and behold after 9 days of working fine they said it was pre existing and would not cover the repair. I would rather have the 1200.00 that was paid for this useless warranty to help with the replacement of the HVAC system. Their product is not worth the paper it is written on. They are a rip off from what I am reading. Looks like we will have to settle this through legal means. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THEIR HOME WARRANTY.

Take a Home Warranty Quiz. Get matched with an Authorized Partner.

Old Republic Home Protection Company Information