Protect What Matters Most

Compare Quotes
  2. Homeowners
  3. Home Warranties

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.41/5

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Old Republic Home Protection Reviews

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

I’ve been using Old Republic for several years now. Apart from one provider who did not work out so well, although he did eventually get the job done, I have been impressed and very happy with Old Republic. This is especially true with the last problem I had which required some extensive work and Old Republic came through for me. I recommend them very highly.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

I called them regarding our water heater not heating water, they sent out a plumber that afternoon & he said the water heater wasn’t working properly, yes I know this. So he said it’s the heating elements, ok so now what? He said he would change them out real quick, so after dragging our water hose into our home & draining the water heater, he changed them out, still no hot water, now a small amount of Luke warm for about 2 min. Ok he will be back tomorrow - why? So I phoned Old Republic again & told them what he said, so they called him & asked him what was the issue & he said he had no clue!

So old republic called me back within minutes & said they’re sending someone else, next day new plumber showed up & he said it was the heating elements & it couldn’t be repaired. So he informs me that our water heater wasn’t up to code, after he asked me how long had we owned our home & I informed him that his question had nothing to do with the water heater & I wasn’t sharing any info besides the water heater issue. So he tells me again the water heater wasn’t up to code & that he’d need to run all new lines & pipe, how much are we talking? He tells me it’s $1300 & old republic won’t cover but $600-$800 of it & I can pay him cash for the difference! So I tell him I’d need to discuss this w/ my husband & he leaves, he calls me 2.5 hrs later to see if we made a decision!!!

I call old republic the next morning (had to wait for them to receive the outcome from him), they tell me that they will cover labor & a new water heater but nothing else, okay we aren’t going to use the plumbers they’ve sent out & they said they could mail me a check to cover the labor & new water heater, okay let’s do that! I received the check within 6 days & we called a local plumber & he did the work of replacing our water heater & he told us that every was in code, which we already knew since we’d had a home inspection completed 12 months earlier! Old republic was great! No complaints this time. My dryer went out & I called old republic & was told it wasn’t covered, Okay well at least dryers aren’t over the top expensive.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

I have been working with 9 different home warranties as a contractor and also as a home owner before and I can state based on my experiences that Old Republic do all the effort to serve as better as possible the homeowners to address the different issues. I understand there are some frustrated homeowners who open a new home warranty and want next day to address the problem and also to replace appliances and AC units or even full bundle system of HVAC but as I can see ORHP do the best effort to do the repair or replacement in the best way.

I have been in the business with home warranties as a holder of 6 licenses in California state and I am happy to work with them and I can tell in the probably 500 customers we attend per year I know we resolve completely the problems in the best manner with 490. The other 10 were not covered because type of repair is not cover for the insurance... For example a customer calls because no power in the microwave but we found is an overload cause one simple 15 amps breaker is working the whole kitchen and it trips often. That's an overload and is a problem for no proper wiring and needs to add additional circuits.

Anyway I can talk what is the worst home warranty or evaluate each one also but my intention is talk in favour of a company who treats in the best way to the customers, do the best effort and try the best to all of them. I can state that as a contractor and I am still working with other home warranties but I can say with no doubt Old Republic is the best.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

I just purchased a house and have Old Republic home warranty protection. I had to call Old Republic due to issues with 1 of my tankless water heaters. They couldn't get someone out here for a few days so said I could call someone myself and they would reimburse me or wait a few days for them to send someone out. The plumber came out, "Diagnosed" the problem and installed the parts. I called Old Republic later the same day to let them know the issue was NOT fixed and they said they would send the plumber back out and I would not have to pay the service call fee because it's the same issue.

The plumbers now are saying I need to modify my gas line going to the water heater and it is not in code. Old Republic is covering to have this fixed but there are non-covered cost for the gas line outside the house. Old Republic has been going back and forth with plumbers on the non-covered cost and trying to figure out why it is so high. Got tired of waiting for the plumbers and told Old Republic we would take the pay out so we can fix it ourselves (The Plumbing Co they use is known around town for doing ** work). My only complaint is the amount of time it's taking to get the checks. It's been 2 weeks and still nothing.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

We received this product when we purchased the home and have had nothing but good results from their service and promptness. While they don't Replace everything with top of the line equipment, there is an option for us to upgrade if desired. They provide builder quality replacements. Which is what we had!

We have renewed and will continue to renew!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Old Republic Home Protection?

Original review: Jan. 5, 2020

We bought a home that came with an Old Republic Home Warranty. We had a few minor things happen with the house that they covered with no problem but when it came to our Wolf double oven we had to battle with them every step of the way. They sent out a repairman, who we later found out wasn't Wolf certified, that totally didn't know what he was doing. Unfortunately, we found out on Thanksgiving (while trying to cook the turkey) that the bottom oven would only heat to 181 degrees. We never use the bottom unit so it wasn't something we even thought to check until we actually had to use it. Plus, that wasn't the issue he came out to fix/and it had worked BEFORE he "repaired" the unit so it didn't even cross our minds to test it after he left.

We called Wolf to see what they could do for us--they said they wouldn't back anything that the repairman did because he wasn't certified by them. Okay. So we called Old Republic to see if they would cover the repair because it had only been 6 months since their repairman had been out. They said "No!" and said that we weren't covered anymore. We knew that already, cuz they sent us a notice that they weren't renewing our policy at the end of its term (no surprise there cuz we actually used it) but we reminded them it had been only 6 months since the repair was done and that most parts (high priced parts no less) have a year warranty on them. We also pointed out that Wolf would have covered/stood behind the parts IF they had sent out a certified Wolf repairman to install them. They said they didn't care, it wasn't their problem and that we should have known that the repairman wasn't certified.

Shame on us for trusting them to use certified Wolf repairmen to come into our home to repair our WOLF oven! Ugh. Wrapping this all up, and based on the reviews here, Old Republic is a horrible company. I would avoid them like the plague. If they can't even take it upon themselves to guarantee that the repairman that they send out are capable of doing the job/certified to do that job...they have no business being in this business. Seriously, folks, 1.5 stars should tell you all you need about this dud company. Do yourself a favor and find another company to insure you so you can avoid the hassles you'll face with this clown and pony show.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2020

Called to submit a request for service due to a smell in my laundry room. Service provider was sent out and said there is nothing he could do and we wouldn't be charged. Received a bill for service fee anyway.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

This home warranty is worth absolutely nothing for your home seller. DO NOT place this on your listing if you want to get any assistance with repairs as they will do their best to find a way NOT to cover ANY items! WORST WARRANTY EVER!!!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

I called about my water heater making a terrible racket. Called Old Republic Home, they asked a ton of questions, I explained exactly what was going on, and they said it should be covered. After paying for a technician to come out, he said that the water heater should definitely be replaced. When the technician called to get the repair approved by Old Republic Home, they changed their tune and said that the repair wasn't covered because "it is still producing hot water." Rather than simply asking that one simple question when I called the first time, and saving everybody's time, and my money, Old Republic Home feels the need to send a technician out there to verify that it isn't producing hot water. I'm so mad that I let my realtor talk me into paying for this pseudo coverage. Needless to say, I will not be renewing my "home warranty".

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

My pool pump motor is so loud the neighbors call me every day complaining. I called Old Republic a week ago and they sent someone out and he agreed it needed replacement however they will not replace “as it is still working”. Seriously?! I’m an active Realtor who uses Old Republic in my business - should say “used”.

Avoid expensive home repairs

Take our two-minute quiz to find the right home warranty for you.

Old Republic Home Protection expert review by Michele Lerner

Old Republic Home Protection has been in business for more than 40 years. Founded in 1974 as Dependable Home Warranty, which provided services only in California, the company joined Old Republic International in 1982 and has been expanding the number of states it serves annually.

• Enhanced coverage: Unlike most home warranty companies, Old Republic covers repairs or replacements even if the problem is due to lack of maintenance, rust or an unknown pre-existing condition.

• Customer satisfaction: Old Republic conducts weekly random surveys of their customers to provide an additional check on their service providers.

• High coverage limits: Old Republic covers the repair or replacement of most items up to $1000 to $1500 per year; kitchen refrigerators are covered up to $2500.

• Delayed coverage: While the warranty program goes into effect immediately if it’s purchased during a real estate transaction, the coverage is delayed for 30 days after payment if a homeowner purchases it.

• Cancellation fee: While there’s no penalty for cancelling within the first 20 days, after that, customers will pay a 10% penalty in some states.

• Best for: home sellers, first-time homebuyers and real estate agents.

by Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

Old Republic Home Protection Company Information