1.08/5

706 Old Republic Home Protection Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 23, 2019

I’ve had many issues with this company. First I had my air serviced. They fixed the air. Now the heat automatically runs at a certain time every day and the only way to get it to go off is to run the air until it automatically cuts off. Next, I paid my service fee of $100 to a company that was dispatched to my home to fix my AC unit AGAIN and was receiving bills stating that the fee was not paid and I owed. Well if the fee wasn’t paid the agent wouldn’t have left. I would not purchase again.

Original review: May 18, 2019

The seller of the home I purchased bought this warranty for us during the sale of the house. I have called to get electrical fixed, heating fixed and now A/C fixed. Each time I've been told they have no service providers in my area. I live between Louisville, KY and Cincinnati, OH. They finally found a service provider for my A/C and he came out and did a diagnosis. He told them my A coil is leaking and the condenser also needs to be replaced due to it being on R-22 coolant. They originally approved it today 5/17/19 and called me back later the same day to say they were no longer going to let the service provider change the condenser. They then offered to let me take either a $500 check or myself pay over $2000 for the condenser unit. I didn't purchase this warranty but would never renew through these people and would advise anyone looking into them to stay away.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 13, 2019

This company is a big scam and unfortunately people cannot come out of their contracts and get sucked into renewals. Their standard warranty covers nothing and you have to keep paying to cover your faucets, garage door or any other fixtures. Please invest this money in child's 529 rather than buying a warranty from ORHP. I hope this company goes bankrupt soon so people are not cheated anymore.

Original review: May 13, 2019

I can't give any lower than 1 star, as if I could, they would have zero. ORHP used to be one of the better home warranty companies, but no more. I have over 20 newly remodeled rental homes in 3 different states so I feel confident in my analysis of ORHP. This home in question is in the DFW area of Texas. With a population of over 6 million and hundreds of appliance repair places, you would think ORHP could find a repair company to repair a dryer that is only 2 years old, but obviously not. ORHP has failed to repair or replace a dryer in a timely manner. In December 2018 ORHP was notified of a defective dryer. Still to this date nearly 5 months later the dryer still has not been repaired. There has been one excuse after another and ORHP refuses to get the dryer repaired or replaced.

After 4 different repairmen, the 2nd of which came out but said he could not look at the dryer because Old Republic did not tell him to look at it (what??? seriously) the last repairman agreed with the 3rd repairman, that the motor needed to be replaced. This was a cost of over $400. I requested those funds to get a new dryer, but ORHP again refused. During a recorded conversation I expressed my concern over the qualifications of ORHP's selected repair personnel. I expressed concern that once this motor was put in the dryer, we may indeed have additional problems. Again, your company refused to listen to me, they instead became argumentative and decided to move ahead with the motor install.

I am not a fortune teller, but I have been down this road before. Exactly as I expressed concern over the qualifications of the repairman, after he put the motor in the dryer, it still does not work. The motor now runs but the drum scrapes very bad as it turns emitting a loud scraping metal noise. I am sure this constant rubbing and friction can cause a fire. Now I have a dryer that is a fire hazard and Old Republic still refuses to do anything to rectify this situation.

Original review: May 11, 2019

Just so others are aware, make sure you consider details of this company's service policies carefully before you invest in them. Twice they had an opportunity to reimburse genuine claims with our newly-purchased home. Twice they failed to reimburse anything. One was a roof leak the home inspector mis-diagnosed. The next was an aging water pipe that gave way. I called for a service request and OR sent a plumber out who arrived that same day. But the work was not reimbursed because the work estimate was not approved before the repair began. Since we had had no water already for a day and faced with several more days without water, I authorized the two-hour repair, thinking I would be quickly reimbursed. Bad idea. This company simply cannot handle emergencies. I would look for someone else with better service policies.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Old Republic Home Protection?

Original review: May 9, 2019

This company charges a lot of money for protection, I have used them for 2 years and every time I call about a problem there is always something they choose not to cover. I had a pipe leak behind my water heater. They only covered $108 (which I had to pay the $75 deductible) but they did not cover the contractor to remove the water heater or cut through the drywall to fix it.

If they don't cover that then how is the contractor supposed to fix the pipe. It was the same kind of situation when it came to my septic (Which I have to pay extra coverage for). And even when there is an emergency, they try to act like they will call someone out right away... and they DON'T. My whole kitchen flooded because they didn't call someone (and yes we turned off the water to the house but the water that was still in the pipes leaked everywhere and I doubt they are paying for any of that either.) Really look into them before purchasing. They cover very minimal protection. I am better off just putting the money I pay them into a savings account and paying out of pocket. They don't save you any money when there is a problem.

Original review: May 8, 2019

Beware when placing service calls with Old Republic. They charge you a $100 service fee EVEN IF THEY CAN'T FIX THE ISSUE OR IT'S NOT COVERED. The contractor will request $100 when he walks in the door because he knows people won't pay after they hear "Sorry can't fix it, or not covered". I honestly think this guy shows up knowing it's not covered just so he can collect $100. I even asked about this before the service appointment and the contractor's receptionist gave me the run-around, telling me I need to make sure I know what my warranty covers. So it's my problem if it's not covered and I have to fork over $100. This is how Old Republic contractors make regular money--- often doing nothing at all. Warranty seems like it doesn't cover much. Don't go into this thinking you're fully protected. You're better off NOT having this warranty. Private companies have quotes and problem identification for free, THIS DOES NOT.

Original review: May 8, 2019

We have new home warranty coverage for 1 year through Old Republic. It is supposed to cover ceiling fans. The plan cost $580. Any time a service call is requested, the homeowner must pay a $75 fee. I was told by a supervisor at Old Republic that the fee is returned to Old Republic. Our living room ceiling fan broke. I requested service through the insurance plan. They sent out a provider, that I paid a $75 fee to. He said, "Yes it is broken, but I can only replace it with this standard fan." This does not match the decor of the house and I did not want that fan. I said that I would pay the extra to have a fan that would match the decor.

I was told that I would have to contact the insurance and he left. (Also regarding the providers they use, they sent out a guy to check a ceiling fan WITHOUT a ladder. He asked to borrow mine.) I called the insurance and they stated that they would "cash me out" at a value of $100 and I would then be on my own to buy a fan and pay someone to install it. Since I already paid $75 to their provider to tell me it was broken (something I already knew), the total dollar amount for the replacement fan and its installation from the insurance would be $25. I would have been better off without the $580 expenditure for the insurance and just used it towards the fan.

Original review: May 4, 2019

This home warranty company is a joke. They always have "unusually long wait times" when you call so you sit on hold for an hour, their customer service representatives are rude and hang up on you, they send out HORRIBLE companies to work on your appliances and then blame you when things aren't fixed properly.

We have had to call them repeatedly over our dishwasher. The first person they sent out was absolutely horrible and didn't know a thing about dishwashers, the second guy they sent flooded our kitchen (Old Republic did NOTHING about this), the third recommended it be replaced. Old Republic replaced the dishwasher and not even 6 months later the dishwasher broke yet again. I didn't know it was under factory warranty so I called Old Republic, they took our $100 trade call fee only to tell us that it was under factory warranty. Now, a year later our dishwasher is broke yet again. Old Republic sent a technician out on Monday and we still haven't heard back about what is going to be done (Friday). This is only ONE of the problems we have had with them.

Another issue, we went almost two months without a refrigerator because they wanted to take their dear sweet time with everything, leading me to call multiple times without any progress. We have had many many more bad experiences with them and will not be renewing our warranty again. If you can find a better warranty company, I would advise anyone to take it because you will waste more time and money than it's worth using this company.

Original review: April 29, 2019

I recommend not purchasing a home warranty protection plan from this company. All they do is give you the run around and take your money and when you have an issue all they do is put a band-aid on it. We have had to use this company several times for issues with our home, each time they never want to replace anything EVER. They won't approve a replacement even if the service tech recommends it. They just want to repair it and in our case not even 24 hours later we still have a non working toilet that was advised to be replaced but NO.

To save their company money they made the plumber try to fix it and here we are once again thank to Old Republic on the losing end of this situation. I hate this company and will go with another home warranty service when my contract expires. We had issues with our hot water heater last year, same old song and dance. It cost us out of our pocket over $500 dollars to fix that when they could of replaced it for so much less. We had the same issues with a stove and a dishwasher. Never have they replaced anything. They are greedy **.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I recommend saving your money and not purchasing a home warranty through them. I had no choice as the seller purchased it and said, "Here you go!" I have issues with them not covering items, giving false information stating they did not hear from the contractor when in reality he said it needed to be repaired so they sent another contractor out who said everything was fine. A few months later that same contractor came out to do work and I asked him what happened last time, he said they are famous for doing these kinds of things so they do not have to cover items. I asked to speak to a manager and I got "nobody is available". Asked for a senior leader's number and was told "it is against company policy to give out that information". Last I checked this is a public company and I should never be refused a name/number, my policy helped keep this company in business. Save yourself the money, time and headache and do not deal with them!

Original review: April 19, 2019

New homeowner and 5 yr old Sub-Zero refrigerator came with the home. Purchased ultimate package. Contractor said he didn't want to drive all the way out to our area and wanted to fix it over the phone by walking us through it. He thought we couldn't find a simple reset button. We had actually already been trying the reset button but it doesn't work. The compressor is broken and needs to be replaced. Roof leak... Not covered. Window leak... Not covered. This is my second home and I will be mostly DIY on this one because it is 30 years old and additions are 15 years old. Don't waste your time. This insurance company is terrible.

Original review: April 15, 2019

A 2 year old fridge "covered" by our "home appliance warranty" that came with our home purchase was not covered. They read us the fine print that allows them to charge for their (overpriced, by the way) services. They explained we are covered if we had already had your appliances checked. Since we did not own the appliances when we bought the house, there was no way to do that of course.

In any case, this is all carefully hidden in the fine print, and they read that to you when you go to make a claim. They have plenty of people to read you the fine print when you ask for help on coverage, but they do not tell you when they are selling the service. I doubt they have ever paid out a claim. The people who deny your coverage are well trained in the fine print. Unless you have time to read every word, do not waste your time. If you DO read it, you will see what a scam this is. Professional Scammers.

Original review: April 10, 2019

This home warranty company is awful. I had a leaking recirculating pump in my garage and they had Jay's Plumbing come to my house to fix the problem. Jay's Plumbing told Old Republic that my pump was installed incorrectly so my warranty was voided. Jay's Plumbing has a very low rating and many unhappy customers and this is who is sent to my home from Old Republic. I hired my own plumber and paid over $500.00 to have this issue resolved. My plumber said my pump was original to my home and was over 15 years old and was not installed incorrectly. My plumber put this info on my invoice saying everything was installed correctly and the reason for the leak was just wear and tear and the age of the pump.

I disputed this with ORHP and sent photos and the invoice from my plumber. Not only did they deny this dispute but they are charging me $55.00 to pay for the service call from Jay's Plumbing. Not only did I have to pay all of that money out of my pocket I have to pay for a company that did nothing for me and gave ORHP false information. I will be looking for a new home warranty company and terminate my contract with ORHP. Stay away from this company!

Original review: April 9, 2019

I have used Choice Home Warranty in the past. I called for service and the technician came out at a time that fit my work schedule, as in, after 4:30 pm. I recently purchased a home and the warranty was with Old Republic. Never made a claim with them. Icemaker stopped working, made an online request for service and two different companies stated they do not work after hours. When I talked to the customer service rep, she told me they only work during normal business hours. What about the majority of customers who work Mon-Fri for a living. Will not renew and will tell everyone I know about this company and its poor service.

Original review: March 29, 2019

I bought a house with no prior knowledge of it. The previous homeowners had only been there a short time and really had no knowledge about anything in the home since everything had been there once they bought the house. I bought the home with the top line of coverage. I ended up having to call about the AC (it needed freon) and the refrigerator in the first 2 years. I was ok with the service although the trade call $ was about what I would have paid if I had just hired someone to do repairs. And the wait wasn't entirely unbearable.

I have renewed my coverage every year for those 'just in case' times. This is my 3rd year to renew. But, what just happened has me questioning why I'm using this company. I walked out into my garage the other morning while temperatures were in the 30's and heard what sounded like a faucet running. My water heater was pouring water out all over my garage. I turned off the water and called Old Home. I was told it would be 3 days before someone could come out. I called back and asked for another contractor to come. They ended up being able to send someone out pretty quickly. He walked into my garage, looked at the heater, pulled a number off of it and said "It's under warranty. I can't work on it," and left. I had no information about the warranty. Didn't even know it was under warranty and was stuck with a broken water heater and garage full of water.

I was billed $100 for this. Here's my issue- I called and asked why I was being billed when they didn't fix it. The rep said that it was under a different warranty and that they wouldn't work on anything with a warranty. I said I didn't even know it was under warranty (by the way I ended up hiring someone else to fix it because I couldn't get it repaired under warranty). But the rep said that I should have known and that there were numbers on the heater I could have used to check. I asked why the original person I called into didn't ask for those numbers so it could be checked before they sent out a repairman? The rep said homeowners should know about their warranties. I won't renew with them next year. I will pick another company.

Original review: March 26, 2019

I have have had different home warranties with each house we have owned through the years. This company is by far the worst of them all. I have called them twice and both time, IT'S NOT COVERED. The first issue, the plumber came out and it was determined the cause of leak was not normal wear and tear. As a result, we had to pay the bill ourselves. It was very irritating to find out after that this plumber was paid $200+ anyways by the warranty company. What a scam. They don't cover anything. It's unfortunate, we had no choice in which home warranty company was selected when we purchased our home.

Original review: March 22, 2019

We bought a home in 2018 and the homeowner provided a policy with this company. We have had a water softener and a water heater that broke which were covered by this so called policy. Both times the company gave us runarounds when we tried to collect. They finally covered a small portion of the water softener and denied any coverage for the heater. They try to wear you down and since you need the repair done, especially with a water heater, you tend to just go ahead and buy at retail prices. They are terrible to work with and I would never recommend them to anyone.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I purchased my house in July 2016, it came with a platinum protection plan through Old Republic. I renewed the plan in 2017 and 2018 for $750 each year plus $100 for each service call. My dishwasher broke down twice within a few months of each other so that was $200 that I had to pay out. My dishwasher broke down again for the third time along with my refrigerator, I called them to have someone sent out and after a month and a half they still didn’t send anybody out to fix my refrigerator, not only did I not have a refrigerator for a month and a half but everything in there spoiled.

I finally gave up and went to Home Depot and bought a new dishwasher and refrigerator for $3100. I did as cancellation online with Old Republic 5 months before it expired so hopefully they will do the right thing and refund me for the remaining 5 months. I now have a home warranty with another company that has much better ratings plus it is saving me $400 a year and the service calls are only $50.

Original review: March 12, 2019

Old Republic promises home protection but all they give you is the runaround. They find every way to avoid covering problems, shifting their excuse to avoid covering a repair until you just give up and hire someone at your own expense. This company is absolute trash. Their customer service is awful, too.

Original review: March 9, 2019

GOUGE, they will, was with company for several years, when you terminate, they screw you over with outlandish termination fees! Check this out before signing on with this trash company. Was with this device in good standing for four years, paid fees on time, they don't care, as soon as you move they charge you crazy termination fees.

Original review: March 7, 2019

Getting the runaround for over a month. Serviceman who was untruthful about ordering parts and coming back to install. Cashed our check and never showed up. The next man up never even answered his phone nor returned our messages. Worst than both are the call center agents instead of helping you they argue and pass you on to another agent. I will not recommend this company to my worst enemy. I am going to write a note to their ceo.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I've had Old Republic Home Protection for both homes I've owned and they have been great until this last interaction with my wife. I'm sharing this to help others when they decide which home warranty company to go with. Old Republic was great when our upstairs HVAC system went out, but we've had many issues with our refrigerator which started one year ago. The ice maker was leaking causing water to collect and drip outside on the wood floors. The repair person they sent was unprofessional and not qualified to work on our refrigerator. He was late because he had a "late night" and we woke him up when we called. He asked for a butter knife to pry the ice maker cover off and told my wife he needed to YouTube this because he's never worked on a refrigerator like this before.

He made her extremely uncomfortable to the point she called me and I had to leave work to come home. He broke one of the tabs to the ice maker and told her it would be fine and that the three left hold it just fine. I addressed that issue with him and then he told me he wasn't sure what the cause of the leak was, and that he was just going to order "parts" and see if that fixed it. Of course it did not and we asked for another repair person, who came out and also asked for a butter knife to inspect the ice maker. She left stating she needed to do some research and never called back.

After speaking with Old Republic she stated she could not fix it and recommended a specialist. Finally we had Mr. Appliance come out and start troubleshooting the issue, replaced the ice maker, but we still had issues from everything the first guy took apart. After a year of repairs, having our first child, and replacing the ice adapter that the first repairman did not reinstall our refrigerator is now working. We paid for the out of service repair person and we're waiting on the reimbursement check from Old Republic, just like the previous times.

When the check from Old Republic came it was short $100, so my wife called to find out why. She spoke with Melissa/Megan and was told it was not from the original claim and that they would only pay what their cost to repair was and that we should have communicated to them that the problem still wasn't fixed. They never called us to make sure it was completed and we had no more issues. We had a lot going on with having a baby and dealing with this issue but Melissa/Megan did not care. They were rude and extremely defensive when speaking to my wife.

My wife asked to speak to a manager and the next person on the phone did not give their title just said the exact same thing. Both were unwilling to show any type of customer service and did not care at all. My wife was left frustrated and in tears over the way Melissa/Megan spoke to her. This is a great example of not having your customer's back on a situation that started with the person your company sent to our house. This will most likely impact our decision to refer Old Republic to friends and renew our home warranty, all over $100 and just doing the right thing.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

We received this product when we purchased the home and have had nothing but good results from their service and promptness. While they don't Replace everything with top of the line equipment, there is an option for us to upgrade if desired. They provide builder quality replacements. Which is what we had!

We have renewed and will continue to renew!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

Service is terrible! Contractors that are provided are also terrible! Plumber came out to clear a line and did not finish the job. They are still trying to change me the service call fee. I had to hire a different plumber to do the job right. We also had an electrical issue. Electrician was rude and just did the minimum to complete the job. You would think they would want to make extra money. Would not recommend to anyone. Total waste of money!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

They don't even deserve 1 star... The absolute worst company I have ever dealt with. I have lived with sewage inside of my tub and shower... not able to bathe, use the toilet, wash dishes or wash clothes for 3 days. The house smelled of sewage. After approving an out of network plumber to fix the situation because theirs were not coming through, they had me choose a plumber of my own. They instructed me that if it was over $150.00 the plumber needed to call for approval.

When that was done the person that answered said it was denied because I could have waited for the following day for them to send one of their own. Now, please remember that they approved an out of network plumber because theirs were not coming through... Remember? They approved it. He was snickering like he was enjoying the whole situation... His name was Jimmie at ext. **. No last name, of course... He was argumentative and unhelpful. Whatever the plumber could do to solve the problem was not acceptable or covered. I even had a frog come in from my toilet. I paid the plumber on my own and they have never even called back to check if it was fixed. I would be ashamed to work for this company if that is the way they ask their employees to perform. They are worthless. Save your money.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

This company is terrible at returning calls, not good with follow ups, and will charge you for services not completed. Do your research and get a reliable insurance company because this one in not professional. While waiting for them to straighten out my previously charge I was put into collections on a bill that I received for a service that didn't repair anything from a man that showed up for five minutes and left. When I told them what happened, they called the company back and they no longer serviced my area...after one day. They had to start a new service call with a different company and again I was billed the deductible. When I called them about the service fee put into collections they told me they didn't have any data documented on the history of the first charge. Good news, I do and will waste their time in court proving how they have no idea what is going on in their own offices.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

My husband and I bought a new home, our very first home, had an inspection, everything was great, until 3 days into moving in and the furnace broke down. We called to file a claim since it was 12 degrees outside and 38 degrees inside my house, and I was afraid of my pipes freezing. I spoke with multiple agents and they were incredibly rude, denied my claim, saying it isn't their problem, even though this incident 100% falls within my warranty. They were actively looking for ways to make my day even worse. They refused to send out a serviceman since our claim was denied and refused to tell us why it was denied.

I got my realtor involved who called their district manager, who clarified that there is no reason our claim should have been denied, yet still did nothing to fix the problem. They still refused to send out a serviceman since the claim was originally denied. So there I was, literally freezing in my own home that I have been living in for 3 days, regretting ever even buying a home, all because of a bunch of terrible, useless, rude people at Old Republic.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

This has got to be the biggest scam going people. We brought a new townhome and all things were working fine upon move in and we even had the inspection done like most people. We decided to go with One Republic to safeguard our appliances etc. Never had a warranty company before so this was new to us. After weeks of living here some things stop working so I called One Republic. My god after a 1/2 hour of 3rd degree questions and let me tell you these questions were all over the place as they were trying to throw me off on the process. They never explained anything to you so you are flapping in the wind.

By the end of the call and confusing questions the rep tells me nothing is covered. I asked why. He had really no full explanation! I was like, "Really? How can this be? I paid a lot of money for the year." The rep tells me only that it seems to him that my refrigerator had problems when I moved in. I said, “No. Where the hell do you get that info from?” So BEWARE people. This is not a company you should go through as my experience was terrible and this company just wants to rip you off plain and simple. As a consumer advocate I have to say this company is on my consumer bad list.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

Worst warrant and customer service. They will not fix, they will never replace and they will scam you until the last penny. Do not purchase this so call “warranty” protection! Also the contractors will never take anything serious and are there only to collect the call out fee otherwise it will be weeks for your appliances to get worked on.

Old Republic Home Protection expert review by Michele Lerner

Old Republic Home Protection has been in business for more than 40 years. Founded in 1974 as Dependable Home Warranty, which provided services only in California, the company joined Old Republic International in 1982 and has been expanding the number of states it serves annually.

• Enhanced coverage: Unlike most home warranty companies, Old Republic covers repairs or replacements even if the problem is due to lack of maintenance, rust or an unknown pre-existing condition.

• Customer satisfaction: Old Republic conducts weekly random surveys of their customers to provide an additional check on their service providers.

• High coverage limits: Old Republic covers the repair or replacement of most items up to $1000 to $1500 per year; kitchen refrigerators are covered up to $2500.

• Delayed coverage: While the warranty program goes into effect immediately if it’s purchased during a real estate transaction, the coverage is delayed for 30 days after payment if a homeowner purchases it.

• Cancellation fee: While there’s no penalty for cancelling within the first 20 days, after that, customers will pay a 10% penalty in some states.

• Best for: home sellers, first-time homebuyers and real estate agents.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

Old Republic Home Protection Company Information