1.13/5

Save on Repairs with a Home Warranty

688 Old Republic Home Protection Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 12, 2019

I purchased my house in July 2016, it came with a platinum protection plan through Old Republic. I renewed the plan in 2017 and 2018 for $750 each year plus $100 for each service call. My dishwasher broke down twice within a few months of each other so that was $200 that I had to pay out. My dishwasher broke down again for the third time along with my refrigerator, I called them to have someone sent out and after a month and a half they still didn’t send anybody out to fix my refrigerator, not only did I not have a refrigerator for a month and a half but everything in there spoiled.

I finally gave up and went to Home Depot and bought a new dishwasher and refrigerator for $3100. I did as cancellation online with Old Republic 5 months before it expired so hopefully they will do the right thing and refund me for the remaining 5 months. I now have a home warranty with another company that has much better ratings plus it is saving me $400 a year and the service calls are only $50.

Original review: March 12, 2019

Old Republic promises home protection but all they give you is the runaround. They find every way to avoid covering problems, shifting their excuse to avoid covering a repair until you just give up and hire someone at your own expense. This company is absolute trash. Their customer service is awful, too.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 9, 2019

GOUGE, they will, was with company for several years, when you terminate, they screw you over with outlandish termination fees! Check this out before signing on with this trash company. Was with this device in good standing for four years, paid fees on time, they don't care, as soon as you move they charge you crazy termination fees.

Original review: March 7, 2019

Getting the runaround for over a month. Serviceman who was untruthful about ordering parts and coming back to install. Cashed our check and never showed up. The next man up never even answered his phone nor returned our messages. Worst than both are the call center agents instead of helping you they argue and pass you on to another agent. I will not recommend this company to my worst enemy. I am going to write a note to their ceo.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I've had Old Republic Home Protection for both homes I've owned and they have been great until this last interaction with my wife. I'm sharing this to help others when they decide which home warranty company to go with. Old Republic was great when our upstairs HVAC system went out, but we've had many issues with our refrigerator which started one year ago. The ice maker was leaking causing water to collect and drip outside on the wood floors. The repair person they sent was unprofessional and not qualified to work on our refrigerator. He was late because he had a "late night" and we woke him up when we called. He asked for a butter knife to pry the ice maker cover off and told my wife he needed to YouTube this because he's never worked on a refrigerator like this before.

He made her extremely uncomfortable to the point she called me and I had to leave work to come home. He broke one of the tabs to the ice maker and told her it would be fine and that the three left hold it just fine. I addressed that issue with him and then he told me he wasn't sure what the cause of the leak was, and that he was just going to order "parts" and see if that fixed it. Of course it did not and we asked for another repair person, who came out and also asked for a butter knife to inspect the ice maker. She left stating she needed to do some research and never called back.

After speaking with Old Republic she stated she could not fix it and recommended a specialist. Finally we had Mr. Appliance come out and start troubleshooting the issue, replaced the ice maker, but we still had issues from everything the first guy took apart. After a year of repairs, having our first child, and replacing the ice adapter that the first repairman did not reinstall our refrigerator is now working. We paid for the out of service repair person and we're waiting on the reimbursement check from Old Republic, just like the previous times.

When the check from Old Republic came it was short $100, so my wife called to find out why. She spoke with Melissa/Megan and was told it was not from the original claim and that they would only pay what their cost to repair was and that we should have communicated to them that the problem still wasn't fixed. They never called us to make sure it was completed and we had no more issues. We had a lot going on with having a baby and dealing with this issue but Melissa/Megan did not care. They were rude and extremely defensive when speaking to my wife.

My wife asked to speak to a manager and the next person on the phone did not give their title just said the exact same thing. Both were unwilling to show any type of customer service and did not care at all. My wife was left frustrated and in tears over the way Melissa/Megan spoke to her. This is a great example of not having your customer's back on a situation that started with the person your company sent to our house. This will most likely impact our decision to refer Old Republic to friends and renew our home warranty, all over $100 and just doing the right thing.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Old Republic Home Protection?

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

We received this product when we purchased the home and have had nothing but good results from their service and promptness. While they don't Replace everything with top of the line equipment, there is an option for us to upgrade if desired. They provide builder quality replacements. Which is what we had!

We have renewed and will continue to renew!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

Service is terrible! Contractors that are provided are also terrible! Plumber came out to clear a line and did not finish the job. They are still trying to change me the service call fee. I had to hire a different plumber to do the job right. We also had an electrical issue. Electrician was rude and just did the minimum to complete the job. You would think they would want to make extra money. Would not recommend to anyone. Total waste of money!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

They don't even deserve 1 star... The absolute worst company I have ever dealt with. I have lived with sewage inside of my tub and shower... not able to bathe, use the toilet, wash dishes or wash clothes for 3 days. The house smelled of sewage. After approving an out of network plumber to fix the situation because theirs were not coming through, they had me choose a plumber of my own. They instructed me that if it was over $150.00 the plumber needed to call for approval.

When that was done the person that answered said it was denied because I could have waited for the following day for them to send one of their own. Now, please remember that they approved an out of network plumber because theirs were not coming through... Remember? They approved it. He was snickering like he was enjoying the whole situation... His name was Jimmie at ext. **. No last name, of course... He was argumentative and unhelpful. Whatever the plumber could do to solve the problem was not acceptable or covered. I even had a frog come in from my toilet. I paid the plumber on my own and they have never even called back to check if it was fixed. I would be ashamed to work for this company if that is the way they ask their employees to perform. They are worthless. Save your money.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

This company is terrible at returning calls, not good with follow ups, and will charge you for services not completed. Do your research and get a reliable insurance company because this one in not professional. While waiting for them to straighten out my previously charge I was put into collections on a bill that I received for a service that didn't repair anything from a man that showed up for five minutes and left. When I told them what happened, they called the company back and they no longer serviced my area...after one day. They had to start a new service call with a different company and again I was billed the deductible. When I called them about the service fee put into collections they told me they didn't have any data documented on the history of the first charge. Good news, I do and will waste their time in court proving how they have no idea what is going on in their own offices.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

My husband and I bought a new home, our very first home, had an inspection, everything was great, until 3 days into moving in and the furnace broke down. We called to file a claim since it was 12 degrees outside and 38 degrees inside my house, and I was afraid of my pipes freezing. I spoke with multiple agents and they were incredibly rude, denied my claim, saying it isn't their problem, even though this incident 100% falls within my warranty. They were actively looking for ways to make my day even worse. They refused to send out a serviceman since our claim was denied and refused to tell us why it was denied.

I got my realtor involved who called their district manager, who clarified that there is no reason our claim should have been denied, yet still did nothing to fix the problem. They still refused to send out a serviceman since the claim was originally denied. So there I was, literally freezing in my own home that I have been living in for 3 days, regretting ever even buying a home, all because of a bunch of terrible, useless, rude people at Old Republic.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

This has got to be the biggest scam going people. We brought a new townhome and all things were working fine upon move in and we even had the inspection done like most people. We decided to go with One Republic to safeguard our appliances etc. Never had a warranty company before so this was new to us. After weeks of living here some things stop working so I called One Republic. My god after a 1/2 hour of 3rd degree questions and let me tell you these questions were all over the place as they were trying to throw me off on the process. They never explained anything to you so you are flapping in the wind.

By the end of the call and confusing questions the rep tells me nothing is covered. I asked why. He had really no full explanation! I was like, "Really? How can this be? I paid a lot of money for the year." The rep tells me only that it seems to him that my refrigerator had problems when I moved in. I said, “No. Where the hell do you get that info from?” So BEWARE people. This is not a company you should go through as my experience was terrible and this company just wants to rip you off plain and simple. As a consumer advocate I have to say this company is on my consumer bad list.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

Worst warrant and customer service. They will not fix, they will never replace and they will scam you until the last penny. Do not purchase this so call “warranty” protection! Also the contractors will never take anything serious and are there only to collect the call out fee otherwise it will be weeks for your appliances to get worked on.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I gave this one star because I could not proceed without it. Old Republic does not even deserve one star. We have a dishwasher that is 15-16 years old. We were initially set up with Old Republic by sellers for a year when we bought a condo in Las Vegas three years ago. We knew appliances were getting old and wanted to be protected so we decided to maintain the protection. Our dishwasher has not drained well since we have owned it. It has steadily gotten worse so we placed a claim. The repair company came looked at it and ordered a part. He returned a couple weeks later to put the part in and left. It did not fix the problem. He came back a third time and finally determined the dishwasher should be replaced.

Old Republic informed us immediately they wanted a second opinion. The second repair service came, tinkered with it and said it was all set and recommended we use a solution for maintenance. After he left, we immediately ran the dishwasher and it still did not drain. We immediately called Old Republic and they called the repair service to come back. We waited several days to get him back. In the meantime we got the solution that was recommended and ran it through as we had been instructed. It still didn't drain and double the water from the two washes sat in the dishwasher. The second repair service finally returned (which is the 5th visit between the two repair services), he worked on it for nearly 1.5 hours.

He finally determined it would not drain at all and said he would report it to Old Republic. The next day Old Republic told us the condition was caused by food and mold and that negated the warranty and they would not replace it. Neither repair service mentioned this issue and in fact they had assumed they fixed the issue when they left after their initial visits. We rinse all our dishes before they go in the washer. The dishwasher is just simply old. It is my opinion Old Republic looks for reasons to not to replace items. Don't be taken by them!

I noticed another poster mentioned trouble with their heating and Old Republic does not use 24 hour services to get repairs done. I can confirm that happened with us also last summer when our air conditioning quit and Las Vegas had record breaking heat for several days (115 degrees). Old Republic set us up with a service that had closed for the day. By the time the repair service contacted us the following day, we were told they would not be able to get here for another day. Heat was unbearable and we ended up going to a hotel until we could get the air fixed. Luckily it was an easy fix and they only needed to come once.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

We have had a warranty with Old Republic for three years, and never placed a claim. Two months ago, we submitted a claim with about our dishwasher, which does not pump out the water after use. A repair company was dispatched, worked to fix it, but after three separate visits determined the unit needed to be replaced. Within an hour of receiving this report, Old Republic dispatched a second company for a "second opinion."

After a second visit from this second company, they determined it needed to be replaced. Old Republic now states that it was a "maintenance issue" caused by food and mold, which neither of the repair companies said to us. (For what it is worth, we actually clean of dishes of food before washing them in the dishwasher). It is very clear that Old Republic will not honor their end of the warranty, even when recommended to do so by two separate companies. This is clearly a case of "buyer beware" - if you spend the money on a warranty from Old Republic, do not expect them to honor the warranty. As others have said in these reviews, they will always find an excuse.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I am extremely disappointed with the recent service I received. A few years back I ordered a service call for my refrigerator and figured since someone was already coming out, I included what appeared to be very small spot rust in the exterior portion on the liner where the microwave door is (I was concerned about safety). The tech that came out, fixed the refrigerator, and upon looking at the microwave assured me there was no safety issues and told me it was surface rust & most wiped right off.

Couple of years later, the microwave breaks down for a completed different reason... Nothing to do with the liner. OR offered a buyout that only covered a 1/4 of the cost. When I refused, they told me the microwave was not covered because the liner was not replaced when the claim was "denied" in 2015. They told me, hard line, I needed to replace the liner that was really never damaged. No one ever communicated that to me prior to this. Again, very disappointed. Had great service with them in the past, but it seems they chose to dodge their responsibilities on this one!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

Save your money and don’t bother paying for this service or using this service. The lack of understanding and no customer service deserves a 0 rating. My heating went out on a Friday night after work, the service providers don’t work after hours or on the weekend. Imagine that! So I would have had to wait til Monday to get an estimate and who knows how long to get a repair. This is a scam! The service was offered as part of buying a house, sounded good but it is a lie and they try to make it so difficult that you just wind up paying for the service. This business should be shut down!!!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

You're better off just going to Home Depot and buying what you need and saving yourself the $75 deductible. I had a huge leak in my roof over the garage so they approved the claim but was told to pay the contractor and I would be reimbursed. They sent me a pamphlet of what specifically is covered and what is excluded and apparently the garage is excluded even after they opened the claim number for the garage. But since I didn't personally buy the "protection" I can't know if what plan I'm getting is what the home seller even bought. Why would they approve it at first and have me have the contractor fill out their form if the garage isn't even covered in the first place.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

I have had the WORST experience ever since I started using Old Republic! I reached out to Old Republic on 11/15/2018 about my cooking appliances and as of today 12/15/2018 I'm still waiting on a replacement of my oven/stove and microwave!!! My family and I have been buying fast food for 1 month now. Today will make it a month we can't cook at home.

All they tell you is wait and a lady called Ross at the purchasing department was laughing at me. What kind of service is that? I'm not the kind of person to do this but I want everyone to know I would advise everyone to stay away!!! It's not cheap to keep buying food outside for a month and sad that our 15 month old hasn't had a home cooked meal for so long thanks to this company taking their time and not caring about my appliance replacements. Old Republic is apathetic and careless!!! I would never recommend Old Republic to anyone or business because they don't care about anyone but their money. WORST COMPANY TO DEAL WITH!! This is the first and last time signing with you all!!!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I just bought the house in May but when we moved in the air condition in one of my kid's room was not working and I called them to fix it. They came out and said "SORRY, BUT SOMETHING LIKE THIS IS A BIG JOB and we cannot cover it for you." They recommended to call the office and left. Next thing I rec the bill for $75. My refrigerator's door was not closed all the way and the ice maker was not making ice. They came and said "Sorry, this has to call the office for specialist about the manufacture, we cannot fix it right away." Next 2 weeks later I rec another $75 to come out and say that to me. I got so mad and called them to cancel my policy in September, 2018.

Now check this out. They charged $650/year from May, 2018 and I canceled in September. They refunded me back $61.50. What do you think their service now? They are part of the title company that my seller used. Therefore, I never want to deal with Old Republic Title Company anymore. Not only my family but I will tell every realtors and friends.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

7 AC outages and never fully repaired. Winter arrives and no heat. 4 service providers out and can't be repaired. Everything replaced (have to have heat) and now they're trying to deny any coverage or cash in lieu of since I installed entire new HVAC system. Will now have to hire attorney to get what is entitled to me under my warranty. DO NOT USE OLD REPUBLIC. They will deny deny deny and assume you won't pursue claim. They denied the wrong person!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Updated on 12/05/2018: I have repeatedly asked this executive for Old Republic for a contact to upper management to just be ignored continuously. They just lost a long time customer. They are the worst company I have ever dealt with in my entire life and I'm a business owner as well so I know what dealing with customers can be like and they don't handle customers properly at all.

Original Review: This is a ridiculous service. I have waited going on three weeks to get hot water. My breaker box is shorted out so we were told by electrician that we shouldn't install breaker due to risk of house fire and now it's been three weeks and still waiting. I would give Them a negative review rating if I could. They suck.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

DON'T use Old Republic Home Protection, they are cheating people! Their quality is bad, their service is bad. One star is too much! I purchased a new house in Arizona in 2017 and seller purchased Old Republic Home Protection for me at $555 for one year. Trade Call Fee is $65 each time. My refrigerator was broken. First time I called them their technician came to fix it and I paid $65 by check immediately. But It was broken within a month, they changed another repair company and fixed for me free of charge.

But after 1 month and a half, it was broken again. I called Old Republic Home Protection again and agreed because it is out of 1 month, I will pay $65 as long as they fix it. They sent one man, came to take a picture but said they cannot fix it and asked me to pay $65. Because they do not fix it, I refused to pay it. This man very clearly understand that he didn't do anything for me and he dare not to give me a repair paper to sign, then he left. I called Old Republic Home Protection again and they said another technician will come to fix it 4 days later. But 4 days later, nobody came to my house. And at that time is July, Arizona almost 110 degrees. All my stuffs in my refrigerator were deteriorated and had to throw into garbage. I cannot wait them to repair, I had to purchase a new refrigerator.

But Old Republic Home Protection sent me collection letter to ask me to pay $65. For the reason they didn't provide any service for me for the 3rd time, they may already know my refrigerator is too old to repair, but still sent a person but do nothing, the last time even did not show up, so I refused to pay $65 for this time. But Old Republic Home Protection said I am delay to pay and increased to $90 after 2 months. Consequently, DON'T use Old Republic Home Protection, they are cheating people! Their quality is bad, their service is bad. One star is too much!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

Sales personnel did not disclose when purchasing plan many non-covered items yet they advertise when cold calling the product does cover all repairs. Never once was offered the Ultimate or Platinum protection which does cover all repairs. Told by sales personnel all repairs covered with plan I purchased. NOT TRUE!!! Plan I purchased and was lead to believe was the only option did not cover costly repairs for water heater (i.e. $1100 of the $1800 bill not covered). When I questioned Old Republic Home Protection Company about why repairs not covered was told I purchased standard Plan? Buyer Beware. This company does not disclose many fees also. I was told I could pay for the plan by making monthly payments. Not once was I told there was a $5.00 fee added every month to my bill. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. Save yourself grief, frustration, uncovered repair costs, and undisclosed fees.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

Waste of money & source of frustration. They only use low rated, unprofessional contractors that don't make servicing homes with this warranty a priority because they don't pay much. Forced to use this service by my landlord. Would never buy one and warn others it is not worth it. If anything happens to your home you'll experience delays in service & often times whatever is wrong is not covered under the warranty. But you will still have to pay the $75 to be told that.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I bought a house at the beginning of the year. I got Old Republic Home Protection. About 6 months down the road my a/c quit working so I called and they was going to send someone out to look at it. They had no one in my area that they even deal with. So they had to send a company about a hour away to come look at it. I paid my trade fee and he gave me a paper saying what was wrong. I contacted the home protection plan and they wanted me to pay almost $900 dollars out of pocket before they would send someone in to come fix my A/C. I called my realtor and she said she has sold this same policy for years and have never heard of anyone having to do that. She said I should only have to pay the trade fee. Come to find out the representative for Old Republic lied to me and my realtor and I would have to pay my trade fee and the almost $900 out of my own pocket.

They called me one day and told me the whole amount it was going to cost was roughly $2,200 dollars. So they are asking me to pay almost half of the whole bill (2,200). Now they are sending me the amount they will pay in the mail (1,100) so they don’t have to deal with me anymore. The representative pretty much told my realtor he could care less if she purchased his policy anymore. I have had nothing but trouble with this company. Awful. I wouldn’t even look anywhere near their policy and buy from a different company or cares about their customers and doesn’t lie just to sell a policy to maybe screw you over in the long run.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

Old Republic was atrocious on all levels. HVAC system failures, several attempts to fix it by HVAC company and an electrician. Since the problem was not easily diagnosed it took several attempts to fix the issue. The issue was never fixed, our 12 month package expired by the time the summer was over so the load on the unit lessened therefore no more failures. After expiration Old republic send us to a collection agency for a trade call fee. The frustrating thing is all necessary trade call fees were paid. Their policy is if you call in within 30 days of service to report the same issue then no additional trade call fee will be administered. A fictitious trade call fee and a collections agency is about to ruin my excellent credit. I will never use this company again and I am glad to hear that the agent I purchased my house with is not using them anymore either.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I requested a plumber come out for services needed. The company that was sent was unreliable, never got back to me like he said he would, told me he needed to order a part. Never heard from him again. Daryl the supervisor from Old Republic called to inform me that the plumber was going to make changes to the current system and it would cost me almost $ 700.00 out of pocket. I wanted a second opinion. Which the policy states I am entitled to have. Daryl told me he was denying that, because he did not think I was necessary. He does have the authority to do so. That is not the policy. I did have a second opinion 3 days later. The second company had it fixed with a hours with no out of pocket extra charge. Know your policy. Do not be bullied by someone that has no idea of company policy. Daryl read the rules and regulations policies, educate yourself!! You give the company a bad reputation.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Worst experience ever. They are unreliable, not serious, talk down to customers, completely unprofessional and their policy is a real scam. If you file a claim with them, be ready to wait for months, to take multiple days off from work to "accommodate" their schedule, ready to cover fees which should have never been mentioned to begin with and deal with an ordeal for minor things. I wish I could turn back time and choose a completely different company. Even in communist countries, the customer service level is higher. They behave as if they are a monopoly, treat the customer with utmost disrespect and complicate your life. PLEASE, CHOOSE SOMEONE ELSE, BE SMARTER THAN I WAS.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

We have had different warranty companies with each house we have had. Old Republic is by far the worst. We have filed three different claims with them over the last three years. Anytime something urgent comes up, we end up having to go direct (and pay direct) to a service provider, because we can't get Old Republic to help out. Our most current claim is a good example of terrible service. Our heat went out last night. I called and filed an emergency claim over the phone at 4:45 AM. We have a newborn in the house, so no heat is a safety issue. I called back at 9:15 AM because I hadn't heard anything from them. They told me to wait, they would assign someone.

I called back one hour later and the representative told me there was no claim on file. Grr! I then got a provider assigned but was told he wouldn't reach out for at least four hours and didn't have to provide service for 24 hours. I checked the provider's website - no emergency service offered. I called back, a rude customer service person told me that they couldn't guarantee same day service. I asked if I could find someone and bill them, and without letting me finish, they transferred me.

I talked to the new person (now my fourth call and fifth representative). He told me I didn't call at 4:45 AM or at 9:15 AM (are you kidding me?!), that their system says the first time I called was at 10:15 AM. He says again that they can't guarantee same day service. He then implies that I just called for the first time but am trying to get an escalation. He assigns a new provider. I ask to talk with a supervisor and he says they will call me before end of business. SMH. When the call is over, I check the new provider's website. They don't offer weekend service. Great. So, I called someone in the area on my own to fix the heat. They are on the way. I hate Old Republic.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Superior Plumbing came to diagnosis and "fix" plumbing, but everything was denied, just because there was no furniture was in the house; everything was lumped as "pre-existing". I told them that we were redoing the floors, that we do use the faucets, toilets, etc but then things started to leak and break even though there were no beds in the home (since we are replacing all the carpet to get laminate flooring).

Now they want me to pay the trade call fee for a guy who came and just took pictures and labeled everything as "pre-existing." Where is the check and balances of them labeling everything and anything as pre-existing? You can't just lump everything together, then they don't even respond to your email appeals... but they can collect the trade call fee. Pure crap, pure scam. I will not be paying any trade call fee for them; they've already gotten the yearly premium amount so losing that $65 is still profit for them; STAY AWAY FROM THEM, TELL YOUR REALTORS TO STAY AWAY FROM THEM!

Old Republic Home Protection expert review by Michele Lerner

Old Republic Home Protection has been in business for more than 40 years. Founded in 1974 as Dependable Home Warranty, which provided services only in California, the company joined Old Republic International in 1982 and has been expanding the number of states it serves annually.

• Enhanced coverage: Unlike most home warranty companies, Old Republic covers repairs or replacements even if the problem is due to lack of maintenance, rust or an unknown pre-existing condition.

• Customer satisfaction: Old Republic conducts weekly random surveys of their customers to provide an additional check on their service providers.

• High coverage limits: Old Republic covers the repair or replacement of most items up to $1000 to $1500 per year; kitchen refrigerators are covered up to $2500.

• Delayed coverage: While the warranty program goes into effect immediately if it’s purchased during a real estate transaction, the coverage is delayed for 30 days after payment if a homeowner purchases it.

• Cancellation fee: While there’s no penalty for cancelling within the first 20 days, after that, customers will pay a 10% penalty in some states.

• Best for: home sellers, first-time homebuyers and real estate agents.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
    Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

Old Republic Home Protection Company Information