2. Homeowners
  3. Home Warranties

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.25/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Old Republic Home Protection, formerly known as Dependable Home Warranty, offers one-year service contracts that cover home system and appliance repairs. The company has three plans with optional add-ons: Standard, Ultimate and Platinum. Coverage is only available in 24 states and Washington, D.C., though.

BOTTOM LINE

Old Republic Home Protection has easy-to-understand plans with transparent pricing. Its customizable coverage is convenient but only available in 24 states and Washington, D.C.

PROS

• Customizable coverage
    • Educational resources
    • Clear pricing

CONS

• Limited availability

Top Old Republic Home Protection Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Old Republic Home Protection?

As a Realtor, I recommend this company to all my sellers and buyers. I maintain this warranty platinum edition on my personal home - renewing annually... I have saved $2700 in repairs... A trade fee call of $65 is all I pay toward each repair service. I wouldn't be without it.

There are many home warranty companies in the marketplace and I highly recommend Old Republic for your home warranty company. They are easy to reach, quick in finding excellent service folk, reasonably priced and always accessible.

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

What is Old Republic Home Protection?

Old Republic Home Protection is a home warranty company that offers three different plans has a 24/7 claims department that lets you make a claim anytime.

Old Republic doesn’t operate nationwide, but its website has a map of the states it services. Click on your state to read a brochure detailing Old Republic’s coverage in your state in English or Spanish.

Old Republic Home Protection plans

Old Republic has three plans and numerous add-ons:

• Standard Coverage: This basic plan from Old Republic partially covers several major home systems (including heating, cooling, plumbing and electrical) and some appliances (including dishwashers, trash compactors, kitchen exhaust fans, ranges, ovens, cooktops, built-in microwaves, garage door openers and central vacuums).
      • Ultimate Protection: Ultimate coverage includes everything in the Standard plan with the same or more thorough protection. It also includes additional systems and appliances.
      • Platinum Protection: Old Republic’s most comprehensive offering, the Platinum Protection plan, offers everything in the Standard and Ultimate plans and more, including higher limits and extended plumbing coverage.
      • Optional add-ons: You can customize your coverage with add-ons to take care of additional equipment, including your HVAC system, pool or roof.

Old Republic's most common contract length is 12 months. Plans have a 30-day waiting period between signing the contract and the start of coverage.

Old Republic Home Protection coverage

Old Republic’s warranties cover the following home systems, appliances and specialty items.

Systems
      • Septic systems
      • Well pumps
      • Pools and spas

Old Republic cost

Old Republic annual premiums range from $250 to $1,500, and repair service fees range from $55 to $100 with an average of $75. These costs depend on the size, condition and location of your home. We’ve broken down expected annual costs based on home type for Old Republic plans in Texas below:

Home typeStandard CoverageUltimate CoveragePlatinum Coverage
      Condo/townhome/mobile home$355$460$665
      Single-family$405$510$615
      Duplex$600$750N/A
      Triplex$900$1,100N/A
      Fourplex$1,150$1,400N/A
      New construction$665$775N/A

For more details on costs, visit the Old Republic website to see a map of where it operates. Click on your state to read a brochure that fully details plan costs.

Old Republic FAQ

Where is Old Republic available?
      Old Republic is available in Washington, D.C., and the following 24 states: Alabama, Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia and Washington.
      Does Old Republic require a home inspection?
      No, you can get a home warranty from Old Republic without a home inspection.
      Can I cancel my Old Republic home warranty?
      Yes, you can cancel your Old Republic home warranty. If you do, you get a prorated refund, but you also have to pay service costs and a $50 processing fee.
      Does Old Republic have a service work guarantee?
      Yes. Old Republic guarantees service work for 30 days.

Is Old Republic worth it?

Old Republic might be worth it if you’re looking for a home warranty to cover the systems and appliances in your home. We like that the company has customizable coverage and educational resources on its website. Just make sure you live in one of the states where Old Republic offers coverage.

Old Republic Home Protection Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Old Republic Home Protection?

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

I’ve been using Old Republic for several years now. Apart from one provider who did not work out so well, although he did eventually get the job done, I have been impressed and very happy with Old Republic. This is especially true with the last problem I had which required some extensive work and Old Republic came through for me. I recommend them very highly.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

I called them regarding our water heater not heating water, they sent out a plumber that afternoon & he said the water heater wasn’t working properly, yes I know this. So he said it’s the heating elements, ok so now what? He said he would change them out real quick, so after dragging our water hose into our home & draining the water heater, he changed them out, still no hot water, now a small amount of Luke warm for about 2 min. Ok he will be back tomorrow - why? So I phoned Old Republic again & told them what he said, so they called him & asked him what was the issue & he said he had no clue!

So old republic called me back within minutes & said they’re sending someone else, next day new plumber showed up & he said it was the heating elements & it couldn’t be repaired. So he informs me that our water heater wasn’t up to code, after he asked me how long had we owned our home & I informed him that his question had nothing to do with the water heater & I wasn’t sharing any info besides the water heater issue. So he tells me again the water heater wasn’t up to code & that he’d need to run all new lines & pipe, how much are we talking? He tells me it’s $1300 & old republic won’t cover but $600-$800 of it & I can pay him cash for the difference! So I tell him I’d need to discuss this w/ my husband & he leaves, he calls me 2.5 hrs later to see if we made a decision!!!

I call old republic the next morning (had to wait for them to receive the outcome from him), they tell me that they will cover labor & a new water heater but nothing else, okay we aren’t going to use the plumbers they’ve sent out & they said they could mail me a check to cover the labor & new water heater, okay let’s do that! I received the check within 6 days & we called a local plumber & he did the work of replacing our water heater & he told us that every was in code, which we already knew since we’d had a home inspection completed 12 months earlier! Old republic was great! No complaints this time. My dryer went out & I called old republic & was told it wasn’t covered, Okay well at least dryers aren’t over the top expensive.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

I have been working with 9 different home warranties as a contractor and also as a home owner before and I can state based on my experiences that Old Republic do all the effort to serve as better as possible the homeowners to address the different issues. I understand there are some frustrated homeowners who open a new home warranty and want next day to address the problem and also to replace appliances and AC units or even full bundle system of HVAC but as I can see ORHP do the best effort to do the repair or replacement in the best way.

I have been in the business with home warranties as a holder of 6 licenses in California state and I am happy to work with them and I can tell in the probably 500 customers we attend per year I know we resolve completely the problems in the best manner with 490. The other 10 were not covered because type of repair is not cover for the insurance... For example a customer calls because no power in the microwave but we found is an overload cause one simple 15 amps breaker is working the whole kitchen and it trips often. That's an overload and is a problem for no proper wiring and needs to add additional circuits.

Anyway I can talk what is the worst home warranty or evaluate each one also but my intention is talk in favour of a company who treats in the best way to the customers, do the best effort and try the best to all of them. I can state that as a contractor and I am still working with other home warranties but I can say with no doubt Old Republic is the best.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

I just purchased a house and have Old Republic home warranty protection. I had to call Old Republic due to issues with 1 of my tankless water heaters. They couldn't get someone out here for a few days so said I could call someone myself and they would reimburse me or wait a few days for them to send someone out. The plumber came out, "Diagnosed" the problem and installed the parts. I called Old Republic later the same day to let them know the issue was NOT fixed and they said they would send the plumber back out and I would not have to pay the service call fee because it's the same issue.

The plumbers now are saying I need to modify my gas line going to the water heater and it is not in code. Old Republic is covering to have this fixed but there are non-covered cost for the gas line outside the house. Old Republic has been going back and forth with plumbers on the non-covered cost and trying to figure out why it is so high. Got tired of waiting for the plumbers and told Old Republic we would take the pay out so we can fix it ourselves (The Plumbing Co they use is known around town for doing ** work). My only complaint is the amount of time it's taking to get the checks. It's been 2 weeks and still nothing.

Original review: June 29, 2020

0/5 stars. Our first experience 4 months ago with Old Republic was incredible. Our Samsung fridge went out and someone came out within a week to fix it. He fixed it that day and was very polite and professional. His Way Appliance service was awesome. Fast forward to June 12 when our fridge goes out again. Understandably, this is during a global pandemic, but this situation has been horrendous, unprofessional, and just plain rude. Our service tech from Service Care, Inc. came out 6 days after I placed my service request and overcharged me ($100 instead of $75). I questioned him because of the last time and the email specifically stating $75 service fee. He said it was the compressor and said he thinks ORHP would likely replace our fridge instead of having it fixed. Surprise, surprise! They didn’t and won’t. Even after our fridge has broken twice in less than 6 months.

A week later the service tech came to our house to put on the new compressor (so far it’s been Out 13 days) in our fridge. He’s almost done and he starts looking in the box and going out to his van and eventually tells me that there was a part missing- the starter replay. He tells me that it’s normally always in the box and sold with the compressor, but it wasn’t.. he stated they ordered the part, but it hadn’t come in, so they ordered it locally and they didn’t include that tiny $5 part. He tells me he can come back the next day or Monday to replace this part in 2 minutes. I tell him we were going out of town Friday and it would have to be Monday. I call ORHP because at this point my husband and I are livid! How can a professional not check to see if he had all the parts before driving 30 minutes to my house and working on my fridge for 3 hours? How could this take over 2 weeks to have our fridge fixed, Covid 19 or not.

The virus didn’t cause the incompetence of our service tech, Covid 19 didn’t cause my tech to be totally unprepared to complete the job. Covid 19 isn’t the reason why we’d had to spend 100s of dollars to eat out for the last 2 weeks. The customer service rep told me they would refund us the $25 and she would personally check in to see if our tech ordered the part and would call me back Friday. Friday rolls around and my husband and I are driving out of state when the service tech calls and says that the part isn’t available anywhere and they will have to order this $5 part (which I found on Amazon) from Samsung, and it wouldn’t be in until AFTER the 4th of July. He told me that he would try to call ORHP to see if they would just replace the fridge. Hours later we got a Call from ORHP saying that we could get that $25 extra that we were charged (I.e. screwed out of) back, but had no information of how or when that money was coming back to us.

My husband called Old Republic Home Warranty on Monday morning to try to get answers and try to get either our fridge fixed in a timely manner, a new fridge, or a refund for all the money we’ve spend on the plan and service fees- because a month without a fridge is totally absurd and outrageous. The customer service people he spoke to most had a total attitude, and when explaining we are very unsatisfied with ORHP AND Service Care, Inc. they were extremely unhelpful. He got a call back and he asked if we could get a new fridge or our money back and they said all they could do was try to expedite the process. He spoke to 4 different people, two were supervisors, two were not. They were rude, unhelpful, and unapologetic. At 11:04 I got an email from ORHP saying equipment was ordered.

The service company called me stating that the part was being overnighted by ORHP and it would be ANOTHER week before the service tech could come to fix it- even though he promised to come out Friday or today to fix it and it would “take only 2 minutes”. Simultaneously, my husband got a call from ORHP saying the same thing. How come this wasn’t done Friday when the service tech called ORHP? How come they didn’t care to offer us anything but a refund on the total service fee? How come we’ve sat in the phone for hours (including hours of being put on hold)? How come we’ve had this horrible experience that only the threat to cancel caused anyone to do anything about our situation besides acting somewhat apologetic? Because this company does not care about its customers.

Original review: June 28, 2020

My A/C went out after 2 years. Took me DAYS to get through. When I finally did, they said it's still under manufacturers warranty. But the part is the only thing covered. Labor and installation cost over $2400. ORHP would not cover. So I said I want to cancel. Then within an hour a supv called and said maybe they can pay part of it if I send the quote. I did and never heard back. Worst customer service and they do everything they can to not pay. Don't waste your money!!

Original review: June 16, 2020

I am a Home Warranty Plan holders from Old Republic Home Protection. I initiated my service request fro Air Conditioner not working on 06/08/2020 and was told to pay $100 or less (If it cost less). On 06/09 a technician came from Stewart Enterprises and tried to diagnose the problem and said that it is with the Zoning Board. I did not believed in this person as he had trouble diagnosing the problem. He was on the property for like 20 mins. After this I was contacted by Old Republic and was told that Zoning Board is not covered and was told that so they can get it replaced for $500. They told me that the service costed $65 and told me to pay $100 which is insane.

I decided to go with a company recommended by my friend and after diagnosis, they told me that the Zoning Board is working fine and detected the leak in the Copper Wire which needs to be fixed along with filing the coolant. I reopened the ticket by calling Old Republic Home Protection on 06/12/2020 as the Coolant and leaks are covered under the plan. But I did not hear from either ORHP or Service Provider since than despite calling them repeatedly.

On 06/15 /2020 Monday, I called ORHP and after a long wait, a representative told me that the service provider cannot complete the service as per information in her system and no one else is assigned to my request. After that, she placed me on hold for hours. I am still burning in my house for weeks now and no one is calling me. I will update the review in case as it will progress.

Original review: June 13, 2020

I have had this most HORRIBLE...experience with Old Republic Home Protection!!!! I just bought a condo which I got the Platinum home warranty. I have yet to receive a dime from them 3 months later. I live in a high rise/15 floor all glass floor to ceiling. Neither bedroom windows opens only balcony door. It started back in March when it got up in the low 90s. Went to turn on AC. Didn’t work. Called ORHP. For a contractor to enter my building you have to be Licensed & insured. Which makes sense. After several days giving me the runaround & contractor's name. None of them had license & insurance after my HOA office checked them out. So I had to find outside contractor.

My HVAC unit is in closet w/ hot water heater. So to get to drain & coil you basically have to be a HVAC contractor to take apart. He did. They approved. I paid contractor. They refused to reimburse stating maintenance. When a HVAC tech has to take a part. That was a 4 day process of no air & burning up. The AC worked a full day. Went out again. The contractor & myself called them several times, talked with several different people. Was on hold for over 3 hrs at a time. Also sent email to (Biggest joke ever) EasyAs123@ORHP.com. They stated they had NO record of calls or emails.

Finally got approval for broken part 3 weeks later. Keep in mind Atlanta heat, NO AC. We put new control panel in. It worked all of 18 hrs & AC went out again. Cause the panel is new/strong it starts to fry older parts. So another part went bad. Contractor & I keep trying to get someone AGAIN!!! Can’t get thru. Keep in mind ORHP will not let you have extension of rep to call back. When they leave a voice mail they never give a name just Hi this is Old Republic calling. We finally get thru after over a week. Get approval. Fix that.

After 1 day the safety water switch goes out. Flooding building. Main hall other units. No AC again. Keep in mind we are now June, mid summer Atlanta heat, no windows. Candles melting along with other stuff in house. Have 2 dogs. We are all put in a dangerous health risk. And damaging property cause they wouldn't approve replacement. Contractor & I both advise them of health risk emergency situation. My place was showing 92 degrees with blinds down. They waited days to call us back. Saying they approve replacement Stating that they wouldn’t even pay for 1/2 of replacing the HVAC unit. So it’s Mid June. This started Mid March. Still have not received a DIME from them. Even after they had given approval for other repairs. STAY far away from this company! Warranty is useless!!!!

Original review: May 24, 2020

One Saturday, we submitted an emergency service claim (yes, it was a true emergency by any definition) and finally received our service provider's information 5 hours later. In that same email, we were told that ORHP decided that the problem was not an emergency (?!) and that the provider would contact us during normal business hours to set up an appointment. If we wanted to contact the provider and arrange a faster (after-hours) time, we would have to pay extra. The only problem is that the provider they assigned us was permanently out of business and the phone number we were given was disconnected! I logged back into the system to see how to contact someone at ORHP over the weekend, which I learned is not possible.

The number on their website for "urgent requests" (800.972.5985) does not let you talk to a human being outside of normal business hours. I could only check the status of my service request. I even reached out to their Facebook page through private message and never received a reply. So, we were in a situation that was directly threatening my family's health (again, I made this clear in the request) and I had no way to communicate with ORHP or a service provider. We had no choice but to private pay and arrange for repairs ourselves. Fortunately, this warranty came with the house as part of the purchase agreement, so at least we didn't lose even more money by paying for the policy. However, we definitely won't be renewing next year.

Original review: May 18, 2020

Do not use this home warranty company. They did not help me in many ways. I had to find my own repair persons. I made multiple calls to ORH. NO RECORD of my calls when promises were made. I was verbally approved to have repairs done by one staff member, but the next one told me that the staff member made a mistake, and I will not be given reimbursement for the work I needed to be done and had done. Plumbing issue! Due to the pipe running on the outside of the house, umm, all plumbing has to run to the outside of your house, where else would it dump out. A main line blockage was thus not covered! And had I not taken care of the blockage in time and my house filled with sewage, apparently, they would not have covered that either!

Old Republic Home Protection Company Information