1.37/5
Based on 91 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a home warranty company?

Last updated: May 19, 2018

624 Old Republic Home Protection Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 19, 2018

We have held onto Old Republic coverage anticipating the day our pool equipment would finally break. Well, old age & wear and tear hit and lo and behold, Old Republic sent out a "technician" who couldn't even be bothered looking into our equipment far enough to see what the problem was. He gave a bogus cause and left. We called Old Republic and asked for another technician to be sent out which they refused. Needless to say, when you finally need a $2500 piece of equipment replaced, Old Republic refuses to honor their warranty. They just lost a customer who has faithfully spent over $1,200/year for 5 years in coverage fees as we won't renew our contract with them next month. Shame on you, Old Republic.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I've been with ORHP for the last 5 years. They were 5 star 5 years ago. Seems they've went down a star for each year I've been with them. Last 2 times I called they didn't have anyone for that in my area. "You can contract someone and we'll pay what we think they should charge." NAH. I'm done! I wouldn't suggest using ORHP to anyone.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 14, 2018

Dishonest, deceptive and don't care about the fact when comes to a large cost, they blame the customer and says, this is sequential and not covered by warranty. I talked to an agent who believes that I am a liar. Their service provider came to my property twice. First time they came and broke something and didn't tell me. When I found that out, I called them, they came and told this Old Republic that it's broken whereas they broke it at the first time. I told the agent that they came to my property twice and first time broke it, and the agent said they file shows they only came once. I still have two invoices/notes with two different dates from the service provider. He didn't believe. Then I asked him if I can talk to his supervisor. He said sure, the supervisor will give me a call. Nobody called me. Then I called them again. Talked to another person, wasted another 30 minutes, and no results. So poor service, don't recommend anyone to use this company.

Original review: May 14, 2018

This home warranty was provided when I purchased my house. The day after closing we moved in and found that the toilet leaked so I called just to be told that they would not cover it because we hadn't occupied the dwelling over 24 hours. 1 month later I called because the outside electric wasn't working. They said they wouldn't cover it. I screamed and yelled and threatened to sue them if my house burnt down. They sent someone out! 6 months later I called... today... And told them that the water spigot outside developed a leak and wouldn't stop running and they told me that they wouldn't cover it because it was outside. PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY. HORRIBLE.

I asked about canceling the contract. They told me it would be a 50.00 cancellation fee. And transferred me to a recording that told you the steps to take and then they would see if they could resolve the issue! Is my faucet supposed to run continuously until they "see if they can resolve the issue". BAD JUJU. Hope they go out of business. Treat people bad and be dishonest... KARMA... BAD BUSINESS.

Original review: May 11, 2018

They don't follow up with trade calls, they don't care about their clients. Most importantly, they RIP PEOPLE OFF. They take money for an estimate that would have been free. Stay clear of this company of all costs.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Old Republic Home Protection?

Original review: May 1, 2018

As a real estate agent I have referred many to ORHP over the years and have personally used them for my properties. However, it appears that the level of Edwin, **, a customer service representative is one that doesn't seem to match the ORHP that I know. He was short, impatient and became smart with me when I did not accept his answers today. Perhaps he needs to be retrained and moved to a back office department where he has no customer contact. I hope ORHP will look into his representation of the company and make a change. A company's reputation offline and online is very important to its growth. Buyers beware. This goes for all Home Warranty companies.

Original review: April 20, 2018

Got a homeowner’s warranty with this company when I bought my house, and ended up having a couple of claims. Each time, they treated me like a criminal, apparently believing that if they got a claim, the customer must be perpetrating some kind of fraud against them. The service levels were truly horrible, the process was painful, and as far as I can tell, their principal strategy is to collect the premium and then make it so terribly unpleasant to make a claim, that if you do it once you'll never do it again. Avoid this nightmare at all costs!!!

Original review: April 19, 2018

I had encountered a problem when ORHP denied a repaired on a covered air conditioner. I asked them to reconsider. They sent a second service provider. ORHP agreed to the repair after the second provider explained the problem to them. I am pleased they were objective and willing to listen. I would continue to recommend them.

Original review: April 18, 2018

We made one claim with Old Republic, and after our one and only year with them, they said they would not renew our policy, they gave no reason. One must wonder if it's because we had a claim, nothing else makes sense. We bought a house built in 1928, most things had been updated, but the AC units looked old so my realtor advised us to get a home warranty plan, realtor picked Old republic, not us. So when the AC unit, they paid out approximately, $3,600, new unit was about 14,000, so I think they got off pretty easy as is. But to give no reason, just not renew, what else could it be but the claim we made?

Original review: April 13, 2018

A home warranty plan was included with our home purchase. We bought up to include some items not covered by the basic plan. In July, when the temps were hovering around 105 degrees, Old Republic could not get a technician over for 10 days. TEN DAYS at 105 degrees? I don’t think so... I cancelled the appointment and we had it fixed the old fashioned way, we paid a professional technician what he was worth.

Recently, in fact the day before cooking a big family meal, our dishwasher stopped working and our range was having intermittent problems. A week later a technician could finally fit us in - miracle of miracles, he was the same technician who was scheduled to fix our A/C last year. I feel like they only have one tech, who is a jack of all trades. Two weeks passed and I called the tech to see what the status was. He had found the parts for the dishwasher but was having trouble with the range. He wouldn’t return until he had all the parts cause he didn’t want to make two trips... Several more days passed before ORHW called me to get some identifying information so they could order the parts which should come in within 24 hours. The next morning, they sent me an email stating the parts would be in 10-14 days from now. We won’t be renewing this policy.

Original review: April 12, 2018

Just called to order a new plan on my duplex. I have 4 policies with Old Republic and my husband is a realtor - I reached someone and when I said he was a realtor, the girl transferred me to another department... recording said wait 2 min., then 3 min., then 5min, etc. etc. I was on hold for 13 minutes. So... called back and the girl said to just hold a minute... well, I waited another 10 minutes and she came back on the line and was not friendly. I asked if there was a problem - she didn't answer but asked me what property I wanted to insure. I told her it was for a rental property and she said, "Can you hold a minute..." At this point, I said, "NO I WILL NOT HOLD AGAIN AND I WOULD PUT MY REVIEW ONLINE RIGHT NOW."

Original review: April 11, 2018

I dealt with Old Republic Home Warranty for my upstairs AC. It took a little bit to get the parts but it was wonderful. Monique out of the California office was tremendous. I would definitely recommend Old Republic.

Original review: April 3, 2018

For months we had been getting sick as a result from the air quality in our recently purchased home, hospital visits and urgent care visits. After having everything and anything outdated in the home that could have been the cause we narrowed it down to our 30 year old system, when we opened it the portion where the air was passing through was warped, destroyed by water damage, rotting, and rusting to the point where it is unusable. The minute we saw the conditions of it we shut of the electric to it. Good thing we had purchased the Ultimate Platinum Warranty... I couldn’t have been more disappointed with any service I have ever purchased.

The contractor they hired basically told me it had to be replaced, he sent pictures and a report to Old Republic - they said because it was not anything mechanical they couldn’t do anything about it. They told me to stop calling every time there’s something wrong with my unit - literally (I only called once. The second was a recall to the first service). I offered to send them my own pictures to make my case and they denied it. I don’t see how their own contractor recommended the homeowner to replace the unit and the warranty company would deny the advice of the same contractor they hired to repair it. Do not buy this warranty, I wish I’d read the reviews prior too, what I can see is more people have been dealt the same card. I wish I’d saved my $590 to use it towards the replacement of my unit. I will not be renewing my warranty and I’m happy I found this out the 1st year and not years from now.

Original review: March 28, 2018

We just bought a house with a 1-year home warranty. We had a faucet handle in a tub and a spray hose fitting in the kitchen break off (internal parts). The company refused to fix it saying that they were mishandled or broken before - which they don’t cover. I’d just like to know how a homeowner is supposed to know what’s broken beneath the surface when the warranty company seems to know all. The plumber they sent was many hours late and didn’t have time to fix the issues. And then we went for 2 weeks waiting for them “to get the parts”- only to be told finally that the plumber had deemed the damage to be due to mishandling. Don’t count on having any major repairs fixed with this company.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I find that the majority of the coverage is just really basic appliance coverage which is at the discretion of the company called out. We have placed 2 calls and neither covered due to the company deciding that the age of the appliance must have created a pre-existing condition. Upon renewal, Old Republic increased from $50 to $75 and the coverage appears to have gotten more stringent. We didn't renew yet they will constantly call and tell us we are eligible for review. We have sent emails to them asking to be taken off their call list however it still continues today.

Original review: March 19, 2018

They refused to pay for the price of the repairs to my heating unit. They paid a ridiculously low amount that wouldn’t even cover the amount of the parts let alone the labor involved in the repair. I researched the parts myself and they lowballed the parts and labor involved in the repair by an incredible amount. The labor and parts cost $650 and they covered $175. That’s complete horse crap. I hope they lose their business.

Original review: March 19, 2018

I have now dealt with this company for 2 years and it is always the same thing. Preexisting or the sellers must have done it and they don't cover anything done by another person to ANYTHING because they must have done it wrong. Did you know they also don't cover anything done by pets & pests and people and pre-existing. If you bought a home lived in before, don't get this warranty. It means absolutely nothing to them. Before you buy a home for one, get a really great home inspector. It may cost a bit but I guarantee you will be making the best decision for your long-term happiness. And if your realtor tells you that they got you a home warranty, say, "No thanks" and take the seller's money used out of my cost. This warranty will give you nothing but frustration and if you write them a bad review, you will start getting harassing phone calls like I did from a Ms ** from corporate whose message sounded like she was about to tear into me.

I'd love to play it for you since she left it on my answering machine. No illegalities about that. Think of a way I can post a voicemail and I'll do it. Home warranties are made for Real Estate agents to con you into a false feeling of security and you buy into it until your first repair. Mine happened the second week I lived in my house. Now they wished they didn't fix because they were defrauded to "on good faith". This was a good house. It was and is not so they have not fixed anything at all this year so my contract is up and they are gone. I will never fall for that line of nonsense again. Remembers, buyers agents get paid by seller, not you. I'm finding their loyalty questionable. Be careful!!

Original review: March 16, 2018

Want to give some advice to folks so they can learn from our experience. Our refrigerator went out and service call put in 2/12. As of today, we still don't have a refrigerator. I posted on their Facebook page and I got put in touch with a specific person, which I thought would help. But after repeated visits by a tech, swapping out part after part, Old Republic finally decided to go for replacement.

Except they're claiming that all the repair costs to this point are deducted from the coverage limits, and lower the amount they'll pay for replacement. (No option was given for them providing a replacement either). The offer they made is about a thousand dollars less than the cost of equivalent appliance, so now over a month after putting in the call, we have no fridge and not enough month to buy a replacement. At no point were we given an option for replacement, they wanted to go forward with the repairs or give us money to have repairs done ourselves. So take that experience as what you can expect if you decide to get service through ORHP.

Original review: March 15, 2018

Absolutely disgraceful company. They had no service providers within our area and then charge just to use an outside one and then refused to pay the cost of repairs until we paid them first. And then they would refund us what they felt was correct. Do not use this company at all costs.

Original review: March 14, 2018

Save your money. Old Republic doesn't pay for anything. If plastic components break and/ or missing they deny your claim. Too many clauses. Better off putting money toward a handyman or reputable service repair company. Customer Reps need better training on conflict resolution.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

I have had the handle on my built in microwave break three times. I have asked them to replace the item instead of doing a band aid repair that lasts about a year. They keep telling me if it can be repaired they will not replace it. Obviously after breaking three times in the same place it can't be successfully repaired. It needs to be replaced but I am unable to get them to do so. I'm feeling at this point that this home warranty is all a scam. I hope they prove me wrong by stepping up and replacing the microwave like they should have the first time. I did not have them send out a repair person this time so I do not have an order number. I couldn't see paying another service call fee only to have a band aid fix AGAIN.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

On December 22nd I contacted Old Republic Home Warranty to fix a dishwasher that had been experiencing issues. LA Appliance is assigned to fix dishwasher and arrive on the 27 and by the 30th they diagnosed the dishwasher as needing a new control panel. On January 3rd I was sent a text message from LA appliance saying that the parts were ordered but I was informed at a later date by Old Republic Home warranty that the parts were not ordered until the 4th or 5th. Not sure why there is a discrepancy there. At that point Old Republic/LA Appliance informed me a technician would arrive on January 23rd. LA Appliance determined that something else was wrong with the dishwasher after the brand new part ordered directly from the manufacturer in New Zealand was not solving the issue.

After speaking with Old Republic, I was informed that the wrong parts were ordered on the 23rd and another technician will be coming out. On 29th another LA Appliance company tech comes out but they are unable to get the dishwasher working with the parts. Then on Feb 2nd after speaking with Old Republic again to solve the issue because I never got a call back after the visit on the 29th, I was told “LA Appliance didn’t know what was wrong” by Old Republic reps and that the order would be transferred to City Appliance. February 6th City Appliance orders new parts for service. Feb 9th repair appointment is set with the same parts as before with LA Appliance. Appointment is rescheduled for the 13th, the company texts me and rescheduled for 14th. They no call, no show on the 14th on Valentines Day, I follow up and call and Thursday to speak with a supervisor, I never get a callback.

I call again on Friday to speak with a supervisor and then I call back again on Saturday the 17th. All City Appliance rescheduled twice and I was unable to work on the 13th, 14th and then the Friday before causing me to miss out on 3 days of work with nothing ever being done by the appliance company. Now Old Republic wants to send All City to come repair my dishwasher with the same parts that didn't work with LA City Appliance. I don't trust them to complete the job and they are doing this so they don't have to replace the dishwasher. Now they are forcing me to take a $637 payout in lieu of being unable to fix the dishwasher.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

In June--July, 2017 my husband and I and our pug dogs had the absolute worst experience we've ever had without air conditioning (and we live in the desert) during the hottest months of the year. Temperatures were over 110 degrees and we had to spend approximately $900 to stay in a motel because Old Republic could not properly fix our air conditioner in a timely fashion. We are seniors with health issues; it was extremely hard on us and our pug dogs cannot breathe in extreme temperatures. Old Republic does not reimburse for days spent in a hotel even though they tried to fix our A/C unit once and when it still wasn't fixed, they had to order "other parts" necessitating us to stay AGAIN in a motel. All together we were in a motel for about 8 days and nights. My husband works out of our home and was only able to work partial days due to the extreme heat.

We even tried using a "portable" A/C unit to cool off one small bedroom in our home, but to our dismay it DID NOT HELP lower the temperature. When I would call my Sales Rep. or her manager to ask if there was some way to expedite getting the parts to fix our A/C, I was told they were working as fast as they could. The funny thing is, when I would talk to the A/C company to ask when they ordered the parts and if they could be sent "overnight," the A/C company told me that Old Republic did not request an overnight delivery. I am canceling my coverage and have decided I will not get a home warranty again as there are too many "ifs," "ands" or "buts" in the contracts I've seen. There don't seem to be any home warranties that will pay a customer back if a hotel/motel is necessary due to them dragging their feet on fixing major necessities of life such as air conditioning when one lives in the desert.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

I am giving two stars because I did meet a very honest plumbing contractor through this company that I will use again in the future (privately paid, of course). Our real estate agent gave us a policy as a gift when we purchased our house, we should have canceled after a year because by then we knew the house pretty well. However, my husband renewed for several years, this company got a LOT of our money. When we eventually had issues with an intermittently non-draining dishwasher and toilets that were constantly running, I made a call for service. The plumber is one contractor, and the appliance guy is a different contractor, so the company got two trade fees. The plumber was great, he was very honest and told us his hands were tied and our toilet replacements would have to be the cheapest thing from Home Depot unless we wanted to upgrade and pay for it. The toilets we got were so lousy they would not even flush a mosquito. Horrible.

The plumber was apologetic, and came back on his own a time or two to adjust the cheap replacements in an effort to make them work better, but he acknowledged that the product that Old Republic supplied was simply inferior and cheap. He took a look at our dishwasher and said that it was so old that it would be unsanitary for us to use it, since we had let it sit idle for a year because of the intermittent draining problem, and that it needed to be replaced, but since he was not the appliance contractor he could not do the work. So the appliance guy came, a young kid who was rude and hastily put the dishwasher through abbreviated checks of all cycles. He did not see a duplication of the problem and said the dishwasher was fine. He did not even let it run an uninterrupted full wash cycle as we requested, so I feel we were ripped off for that trade fee.

I noted these concerns on the service receipt that I had to sign, which infuriated the rude appliance guy, but I never heard back from anybody. Tried to cancel the policy but was reminded that it is a 50.00 cancellation fee, so we waited out the couple of months remaining. Be advised that leaking hose bibs, leaking windows, any external plumbing is not covered, and also be aware that instead of using one contractor or plumber that could fix everything on your list, they will want to send out multiple "specialists", each requiring a trade fee that is no longer even competitive. Remember, their cheap toilets won't even flush a mosquito.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

We purchased a house in Aug of 2016 with a home warranty from Old Republic. In Dec. 2016 our hot water heater went out. We were told that they would not cover any of it since it was still under manufacturer warranty. (Everyone knows that manufacturer warranty never covers labor only parts). We covered the expense of the replacement ourselves after going round and round with the company and numerous faxes for continued paperwork that was already faxed but they could never seem to find.

I made several attempts to contact the hot water heater manufacturer and it took a year before I could actually get someone there to give me a straight answer and tell me the manufacturer's warranty wouldn't cover us since we weren't the original purchasers. I re-faxed all paperwork to Old Republic along with explanation of why they should have covered it. They told me they could cover the expense because we didn't have a current policy with them! At the time of the occurrence we did and they should be responsible for this repair.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

THEY ARE A HORRIBLE, UNETHICAL COMPANY WITH TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE. They have flat out refused to pay my claim for my pool equipment that went out, even though I paid extra to have it covered. Now, my furnace is out and costs over $4000 to replace. They are only offering to cover $712 of it. They give the Heating Company $365 of that for labor and the rest is spent on the crappiest, cheapest unit they can find. They instruct the call takers to treat the customer as poorly as they can. They will be all sweet when you need a call sent, but when it comes to getting your money for a bid, they make it very well known that they don't give a crap about any of your expectations and you can just go ** yourself. Save your money, don't work with them. Contractors are leaving them left and right. That's why they can't hang on to good contractors.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

We recently bought a house in Fairhope, AL. The previous owners supplied us with an Old Republic Home Warranty plan because they knew there were a few things in the house that were old and would need fixing. We have had a plumbing problem, a ceiling fan problem and a gutter problem which we contacted ORHP about and each time they would hem and haw and finally tell us the problem wasn't covered even though it states in the plan that some were covered. This is a pretty slimy company which specializes in smoke and mirror business practices in my opinion.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

Each time I call I am told there are no providers in my area and it is my responsibility to contract the help necessary. HOWEVER, when I do that no one meets their criteria, won't cover anything I have asked for AND I am expected to pay the full cost of everything that needs repair or is broken. Let me clarify that. THEY WON'T REPAIR ANYTHING EVEN IF IT'S A MATTER OF DAYS BEFORE IT COMPLETELY BREAKS DOWN. My furnace is the perfect example. What started out as a faulty fan (wasn't turning when necessary) and a leak on the outside heat pump which causes the pump to run for up to 10 minutes before ANY heat comes into the house and when it does it has to be set way above 75 just to get heat. After it starts working it never shuts off!

It's 15 degrees here and I would like my furnace/AC pump to work efficiently and properly. This is costing me a small fortune I cannot afford. Then there's the dishwasher that doesn't clean the dishes, the rinse solution runs out the door and onto the floor but because the dishwasher has not completely stopped working (in their opinion) they will do nothing. How about the garbage disposal? Ditto! Having to pay for these items myself before they will take care of anything is another burden. If I had that kind of money sitting around I wouldn't need insurance.

They say I live in a "rural community". I live 15 minutes east of Spokane, WA and that's why there are no providers available and apparently the ones I have contacted and who have spoke with Old Republic are "not acceptable". I have spread the word among the realtors and their staff that I am in contact with "stay away from this organization". To buyers and sellers "REFUSE" to pay for this so called service. Total and complete waste of time and money! I highly recommend you DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THEIR SUPPOSED "HOME PROTECTION".

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I used Old Republic three times last year. I followed their guidelines for requesting service. There was only one slight problem with making contact with the service rep. All the repairs were done in a timely manner and as per Old Republic's warranty. My only concern was the pipes to our new water heater were not covered. I have renewed with Old Republic and will continue to do so until there are major problems that I have read about from other reviewers. Hope that doesn't happen.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

There are many home warranty companies in the marketplace and I highly recommend Old Republic for your home warranty company. They are easy to reach, quick in finding excellent service folk, reasonably priced and always accessible. I have maintained my service contract for many years with this same company, BY CHOICE, and the service continues to be reliable and good. Have heard stories of other similar companies and not one seems to maintain the same standard of providers that I've experienced with Old Republic, and that's why I am taking the time to write this review.

Old Republic Home Protection expert review by Michele Lerner

Old Republic Home Protection has been in business for more than 40 years. Founded in 1974 as Dependable Home Warranty, which provided services only in California, the company joined Old Republic International in 1982 and has been expanding the number of states it serves annually.

• Enhanced coverage: Unlike most home warranty companies, Old Republic covers repairs or replacements even if the problem is due to lack of maintenance, rust or an unknown pre-existing condition.

• Customer satisfaction: Old Republic conducts weekly random surveys of their customers to provide an additional check on their service providers.

• High coverage limits: Old Republic covers the repair or replacement of most items up to $1000 to $1500 per year; kitchen refrigerators are covered up to $2500.

• Delayed coverage: While the warranty program goes into effect immediately if it’s purchased during a real estate transaction, the coverage is delayed for 30 days after payment if a homeowner purchases it.

• Cancellation fee: While there’s no penalty for cancelling within the first 20 days, after that, customers will pay a 10% penalty in some states.

• Best for: home sellers, first-time homebuyers and real estate agents.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
    Michele Lerner

Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

Old Republic Home Protection Company Information