2. Homeowners
  3. Home Warranties

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.16/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Old Republic Home Protection, formerly known as Dependable Home Warranty, offers one-year service contracts that cover home system and appliance repairs. The company has three plans with optional add-ons: Standard, Ultimate and Platinum. Coverage is only available in 24 states and Washington, D.C., though.

BOTTOM LINE

Old Republic Home Protection has easy-to-understand plans with transparent pricing. Its customizable coverage is convenient but only available in 24 states and Washington, D.C.

PROS

• Customizable coverage
    • Educational resources
    • Clear pricing

CONS

• Limited availability

Top Old Republic Home Protection Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Old Republic Home Protection?

As a Realtor, I recommend this company to all my sellers and buyers. I maintain this warranty platinum edition on my personal home - renewing annually... I have saved $2700 in repairs... A trade fee call of $65 is all I pay toward each repair service. I wouldn't be without it.

There are many home warranty companies in the marketplace and I highly recommend Old Republic for your home warranty company. They are easy to reach, quick in finding excellent service folk, reasonably priced and always accessible.

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

What is Old Republic Home Protection?

Old Republic Home Protection is a home warranty company that offers three different plans has a 24/7 claims department that lets you make a claim anytime.

Old Republic doesn’t operate nationwide, but its website has a map of the states it services. Click on your state to read a brochure detailing Old Republic’s coverage in your state in English or Spanish.

Old Republic Home Protection plans

Old Republic has three plans and numerous add-ons:

• Standard Coverage: This basic plan from Old Republic partially covers several major home systems (including heating, cooling, plumbing and electrical) and some appliances (including dishwashers, trash compactors, kitchen exhaust fans, ranges, ovens, cooktops, built-in microwaves, garage door openers and central vacuums).
      • Ultimate Protection: Ultimate coverage includes everything in the Standard plan with the same or more thorough protection. It also includes additional systems and appliances.
      • Platinum Protection: Old Republic’s most comprehensive offering, the Platinum Protection plan, offers everything in the Standard and Ultimate plans and more, including higher limits and extended plumbing coverage.
      • Optional add-ons: You can customize your coverage with add-ons to take care of additional equipment, including your HVAC system, pool or roof.

Old Republic's most common contract length is 12 months. Plans have a 30-day waiting period between signing the contract and the start of coverage.

Old Republic Home Protection coverage

Old Republic’s warranties cover the following home systems, appliances and specialty items.

Systems
      • Septic systems
      • Well pumps
      • Pools and spas

Old Republic cost

Old Republic annual premiums range from $250 to $1,500, and repair service fees range from $55 to $100 with an average of $75. These costs depend on the size, condition and location of your home. We’ve broken down expected annual costs based on home type for Old Republic plans in Texas below:

Home typeStandard CoverageUltimate CoveragePlatinum Coverage
      Condo/townhome/mobile home$355$460$665
      Single-family$405$510$615
      Duplex$600$750N/A
      Triplex$900$1,100N/A
      Fourplex$1,150$1,400N/A
      New construction$665$775N/A

For more details on costs, visit the Old Republic website to see a map of where it operates. Click on your state to read a brochure that fully details plan costs.

Old Republic FAQ

Where is Old Republic available?
      Old Republic is available in Washington, D.C., and the following 24 states: Alabama, Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia and Washington.
      Does Old Republic require a home inspection?
      No, you can get a home warranty from Old Republic without a home inspection.
      Can I cancel my Old Republic home warranty?
      Yes, you can cancel your Old Republic home warranty. If you do, you get a prorated refund, but you also have to pay service costs and a $50 processing fee.
      Does Old Republic have a service work guarantee?
      Yes. Old Republic guarantees service work for 30 days.

Is Old Republic worth it?

Old Republic might be worth it if you’re looking for a home warranty to cover the systems and appliances in your home. We like that the company has customizable coverage and educational resources on its website. Just make sure you live in one of the states where Old Republic offers coverage.

Old Republic Home Protection Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Old Republic Home Protection?

Original review: Jan. 13, 2021

We got their home warranty when we bought the house. And even got additional coverage for up to 4 refrigerators because it is a big house. Then 1 refrigerator started having little frost and then leaking so we took it to the garage. Meanwhile the other refrigerator in the kitchen could not get its door closed. So we called this warranty company, and they sent Aall appliance repairing guy in. Their repairing person Eugene found the problem and said he just need to change the unit behind. He said he would come back but asked us to make sure to turn off the fridge and ice would be all thawed 48 hours before he came back. And he would check the other refrigerator more carefully at that time as well as he could not see the temperature difference this time and he is running for his next appointment.

We were all happy and thought both refrigerators would be fixed. But never expected got a call from a lady saying that the Old Republic has declined the obligations of fixing both refrigerators. When I asked for reasons, she said for the refrigerator in the garage, it was because the technician could not find anything wrong even though I told her that was not the case. And I told her I had and showed the technician the pictures when the refrigerator was frozen and leaking, She said I could hire another person by myself, if that person can find something is wrong with that refrigerator, then the home warranty company will reimburse me. Can you believe it? But the refrigerator is still leaking!

Then for the refrigerator in the kitchen, it will ALSO not be covered because they do not cover insulation problem. After more than 2 months, Old Republic also sent me a letter, saying the reason for it's not covered was because of the insulation problem. They would have fooled me if I did not hire my own appliance repairing company. They clearly told me it was just a thermometer (cost $68) that needs to be replaced so the refrigerator will not be frozen. And it HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE INSULATION. Just because insulation was one of the lines in their fine prints, they used that conveniently and effortlessly!!! What an awful insurance company! They almost fooled me trying to buy a new refrigerator!

If it's just 1 refrigerator, then I would probably think it's just an error. But they declined for both refrigerators without any evidence, even the tenant and I were both telling them the refrigerator was leaking for the other one, they just insisted it has no problem, all of us were just delusional... I have already reported them to BBB but still Stay away this company is the only advice I can give. You will be wasting your money and they will decline your claim with any excuse they can come up with!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

I am currently working with Old Republic Home to claim a water leak on water heater. It was determined by their services provided on Monday 3 pm that water heater need to replace. I was told the water heater will be install next day. It's still not done as of Wednesday. I spend over 6 hours try to get this problem resolved and even as of now, there still seems to be no solution. I am willing to hire my own guy to replace and get reimburse, Old republic only willing to reimburse $458 for labor and material. The cost of water heater is at least $700 already plus labor cost is $300. My tenant already has no hot water for over 4 days, if you don't care about of the business. You should stay away from the warranty business. You are messing with people's life. It's a nightmare to deal with them, before consumer chose then as your home warranty company, think again. You might as well not buy the home warranty and save the headache and frustration.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Resolution response: Dec. 2, 2020

So it is now December 2nd and they were able to resolve the issue, so all in all between getting the parts and getting the tech out here it was about three weeks. Updating the review to two stars because the tech is good and they got the parts in less than 20 days...

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

My fridge broke recently and I called them and they sent out a tech that diagnosed it and confirmed that it needs a new compressor. He submitted request to get the parts from ORHP and they say that it will take them 20 business days to research part options and another 3 to 4 days to get the parts to the technician so he can come out and replace them. So it looks like I am going to be without a fridge for around 30 days. This is so so so unacceptable for a critical appliance like a fridge. What could possibly take a company that specializes in fixing / replacing parts 20 business days to research?do

Earlier this year my stove broke down and it was a similar issue, except the model was too old for them to replace the part. So they actually had a tech come back out and pull the control board out of the unit and send it for repair. Then about a month or so later they came out and fixed it. It was inconvenient, but at least I can live fine without a stove, fridge on the other hand is a critical appliance. My contract with them is almost up and I am taking my business elsewhere.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

As a Realtor, I was encouraged to give Old Republic a try. I purchased a Platinum level policy with Old Republic in August 2020. In September 2020 I requested Service for my oven and clothes dryer. The first contractor they matched me with would not accept a check or credit card for the service call. After some discussion with Old Republic, they sent another contractor who came and said he would need to order parts. Two months later, I still have a broken oven and a broken dryer. The contractor will not answer or respond to my calls. I was promised a repairman to fix my appliances between 8 AM and noon on 11/18/2020.

No one came. No one called. The repair service will not answer my calls and customer service from Old Republic has now decided to ignore me as well. Absolutely the worst of all home warranty services. STAY AWAY FROM THESE THIEVES!!! Any Realtor would be an absolute fool to recommend Old Republic to any of his/her clients. I cannot fully describe my level of disappointment with this disreputable company. Absolute frauds!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

This company was unhelpful, frustrating to work with, and sends out incompetent technicians. I called them to look at a furnace issue and the tech they sent misdiagnosed it. I consulted with two other techs because the issue was very serious and ended up having to replace the furnace. The warranty company wouldn't pay anything b/c their tech said there wasn't a problem. Then I had a minor plumbing issue. The plumber they sent out quoted me $4K to fix a toilet leak, told the warranty company not to cover it, and then couldn't give me a quote to justify $4K to fix a toilet. I ended up firing this warranty company and they took most of my money (calling it pro-rated). They really cost me a lot of time and money. I don't think my realtor is ever going to recommend them again because this was completely useless.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

We purchased a home warranty when purchasing our home and 4 months later made a claim on the garage door opener. We were told it could take up to 48 hours for a repair man to come out even though our car was stuck inside the garage! After 48 hours we called the dispatch number and instead of helping us get a repair done or re-assigning the repair to another company they said we would need to call the company ourselves to see how soon they could come help us. Why would anyone spend the money for a home warranty that didn't insure your repairs would be taken care of. Do yourself a favor and do NOT use Old Republic, this type of customer service is unacceptable.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2020

After almost a full month without a working fridge while pregnant, ORHP's "resolution" was that they completely denied my claim after the part could not be repaired because it was water damaged. So we had to buy a new fridge. I'm completely furious with how much of my time they've wasted for this outcome–if I was going to have to buy a new fridge, I could have done that WEEKS ago. We've spent so much extra money on takeout while we waited.

I had to call my real estate agent and throw an absolute tantrum on social media just to get them to move my claim through their system, trying to order parts that were no longer made, trying to repair a part that was water damaged. I'll be letting all of my realtor friends know how terrible it is to have this company. Hire some more people. It's a recession. Obviously you're raking in the dough from not helping your actual customers. THANKS FOR NOTHING. Hope you can sleep at night for the terrible company that you are.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

Do not buy this warranty!! My built-in refrigerator water and ice dispenser was not working. A guy came after two weeks and told me that I have a plumbing problem and that I have to cut the kitchen floor open and run a new pipe or do it from the ceiling. I called my handyman who fixed it in 15 minutes and didn't even charge me for it!!

A few months later my washer stopped working. I called them and put in a request. Again two weeks later they sent someone who said it is not fixable. He said he'll report it right away and ORHP will contact me about replacing it. I didn't hear back from them for another week. I tried to call them today. The system put me though a voice machine that said, I cannot speak with anyone if a technician has already been to my home! The message said that I have to wait for them to call me back when they have information for me. I have been using public laundry places for three week, I remind you! I will then called back and pretended that I have a new service. That is THE ONLY way you can get someone to speak to. When he learned that I was called about a service that has already been placed he put me though the same voice machine again. I am about to buy a washer and never bother with this company again!

Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

I've had Old Republic for several years now. They've gotten consistently worse each year, and I will not be renewing. I put in a work order for a dishwasher repair on 7/23. It's 10/21 and they have not fixed or replaced it. Every time I contact them the time estimate until replacement gets longer and longer. At this point I'll likely not have a replacement (you know, what I pay them for each year) until 2021 (6 months after the original work order). The agents all give different answers and the supervisors are extremely rude. I have 7 months to find a better company....which shouldn't be difficult. Horrible experience.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2020

Purchase home this year 6/15. AC went out 2 weeks in. Had home warranty through Old Republic, gave them a call, they need policy number, took 2 months to get policy. Oh they didnt authorize the fixes.

Old Republic Home Protection Company Information