1.0/5 (39 ratings)

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

About Old Republic Home Protection

Old Republic Home Protection, formerly known as Dependable Home Warranty, offers one-year service contracts that cover home system and appliance repairs for the sellers and buyers of resale homes. The company offers multiple plans to fit every budget with optional add-ons available. Coverage is available in 27 states and Washington, D.C.

Find Home Warranties, Service Plans partners near you

Pros

• Customizable coverage
    • Educational resources
    • Clear pricing

Cons

• Not available in all states

Bottom Line

Old Republic Home Protection has easy-to-understand plans with transparent pricing. Its customizable coverage is convenient and flexible but only available in 27 states and Washington, D.C

Top Old Republic Home Protection Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

As a Realtor, I recommend this company to all my sellers and buyers. I maintain this warranty platinum edition on my personal home - renewing annually... I have saved $2700 in rep...

Verified

There are many home warranty companies in the marketplace and I highly recommend Old Republic for your home warranty company. They are easy to reach, quick in finding excellent se...

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

What is Old Republic Home Protection?

Old Republic Home Protection is a home warranty company that offers multiple plans and has a 24/7 service department that lets you make a claim when it's convenient for you.

Old Republic Home Protection offers service in 27 states and Washington, D.C., and its website has a map of the states it serves. Click on your state to view a brochure detailing Old Republic Home Protection’s coverage in your state in English and Spanish.

Old Republic Home Protection plans

Old Republic has three plans and numerous add-ons:

• Essential Coverage: This affordable plan from Old Republic Home Protection covers several major home systems (including heating, cooling, plumbing and electrical) and some appliances (excluding washer, dryer and kitchen refrigerator).
    • Standard Coverage: This plan from Old Republic Home Protection covers several major home systems (including heating, plumbing, and electrical) and most kitchen appliances (including dishwashers, trash compactors, kitchen exhaust fans, ranges, ovens, cooktops, built-in microwaves), as well as garage door openers and central vacuums. Air conditioning systems, washer, dryer, and kitchen refrigerator are included in Standard Coverage in some states.
    • Ultimate Protection: Ultimate Protection includes everything in the Standard Plan plus increased coverage for correcting code violations, haul away, permits, and more. It also includes enhanced system and appliance coverage.
    • Platinum Protection: Old Republic’s most comprehensive offering, the Platinum Protection plan, offers everything in the Standard and Ultimate plans and more, including higher limits and extended plumbing coverage.
    • Optional add-ons: You can customize your coverage with add-ons to take care of additional equipment, including your HVAC system, pool or roof.

Old Republic Home Protection’s contract term is usually 12 months, with 13-month and two-year plans available in some states. As of March 2021, Old Republic Home Protection provides home warranties during a real estate transaction — if interested, talk to your real estate agent.

Old Republic Home Protection coverage

Old Republic’s warranties cover the following home systems, appliances and specialty items.

Systems
    • Septic system
    • Well pump
    • Booster pump
    • Water softeners
    • Swimming pool and spa equipment
    • Solar hot water system
    • Solar pool/spa components
    • Free-standing ice maker
    • Standalone freezer

Old Republic cost

Old Republic Home Protection’s annual premiums start at $300 to $1,600 for condos and single-family homes up to 9,999 square feet and $400 to $1,900 for multiunit properties. Service fees range from $65 to $100 with an average of $75. We’ve broken down expected annual costs based on home type for Old Republic Home Protection plans in Texas below.

Home typeStandard CoverageUltimate CoveragePlatinum Coverage
    Condo/townhome/mobile home$355$465$695
    Single-family$405$510$615
    Duplex$600$750N/A
    Triplex$900$1,100N/A
    Fourplex$1,150$1,400N/A
    New construction$665$775N/A

Prices are current as of March 2021 and are subject to change. For more details, visit the Old Republic Home Protection website to see a map of where it operates. Click on your state to read a brochure that fully details plan coverage and costs.

Old Republic FAQ

Where is Old Republic available?
    Old Republic is available in Washington, D.C., and the following 27 states: Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington and Wyoming.
    Does Old Republic require a home inspection?
    No, you can get a home warranty from Old Republic without a home inspection.
    Can I cancel my Old Republic home warranty?
    Yes, you can cancel your Old Republic Home Protection home warranty. If you do, in most states you get a prorated refund, but you must also pay any service costs incurred and a processing fee.
    Does Old Republic have a service work guarantee?
    Yes. Old Republic guarantees service work for 30 days.

Is Old Republic worth it?

Old Republic Home Protection might be worth it if you’re buying or selling a home or looking for a home warranty to cover the systems and appliances in your current home. We like that the company has customizable coverage and educational resources on its website.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Old Republic Home Protection?

Original review: June 24, 2022

This company is by far the absolute worst company I have ever had the displeasure of working with. I have filed multiple requests to have my air conditioning fixed over the past 10 days and not one person they have dispatched has come out and fixed it. Every time I call in, I am on hold for over an hour. Then when I finally do get someone on the line, they tell me someone has been dispatched and will be with me soon. It has been 10 days and I don't have working AC in the middle of summer. I have 15 local contractors ready to come fix it right now. Allow me to hire my own contractor and pay the bill. This company and its 'service' are absolute garbage. The contractors they work with are terrible with little/no knowledge about their trade. I wouldn't recommend this company to my worst enemy.

Original review: May 18, 2022

I had to replace the water pressure regulator as it was faulty. A couple of service providers came but all of them were very unprofessional. They took days and days to respond. When you wanted to talk to plumbing dept. to check status, they never answer. Very frustrated. I have put the claim three weeks ago. Still work was not done?

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 11, 2022

I was given this warranty on the sale of my house. My suggestion would be to tell the seller or realtor to write you a check or take off the price of the warranty from the price of the house. They are not the absolute worst, biggest waste of time and the people that they have sent out to fix haven't fixed anything. The best they have done is makeshift work and my ac still has a leak, my toilet still runs and their customer service is an exercise in futility. Total waste of time and effort. Do not expect these people to do the right thing unless you go the extra mile. They are again and I can not state this any clearer the worst.

Original review: May 11, 2022

Before considering this company, try calling their Service Request authorization phone number. You’ll be on hold for an easy 45 minutes before someone picks up. After passing you along, each of not helpful and a little choppy, you’ll get nowhere. I wouldn’t recommend this company to anyone. Waste of time and money. I always thought a home warranty was paramount when purchasing a new home. You have peace of mind at closing, that’s it! If you need any after that, good luck.

Original review: April 26, 2022

Complete SCAM! DO NOT use Old Republic. They sent someone to my place to service the water heater for $75, who literally walked up to the water heater, take a peep and left. He said he will come back next time to fix, which never happened. I was then billed for nothing. I tried to call their customer service so many times but was never answered. Their customer service doesn't exist at all except for payments and renewal. Total mistake and a huge waste of money.

Original review: April 26, 2022

They send incompetent people and nitpick over details. Got better results using my own network of people. Example: plumber said my hot water issue needed a part, then never heard from anyone. But the bill kept coming. I hired my own plumber who merely made an adjustment (no part!) and it was done in minutes. And they have the worst customer service. Just try getting ahold of anyone on the phone - hours waiting.

Original review: April 22, 2022

We put in a service request for plumbing, the plumber came in next day, looked around and said they will contact us later. 1 week later we called the plumber service, no one answered, we left a voicemail. The next day ORHP said the service is now complete and we have to pay $75 service call. We called ORHP on (800)972-5985, waited for over 1 hour on the phone for someone to pick up, no one did. Worst customer service ever.

Original review: April 8, 2022

I moved to Florida and purchased an older home. Regret. On the advice of my Realtor, she suggested buying a home warranty and suggested this company. Told me how she bought one for her daughter and how great they were and her daughter had several things go and they were all fixed or replaced. My refrigerator was having a problem. We called and it cost $100 for service to come. He told us it was not repairable, that he would send a report. He never did send it until I threatened him with putting a stop payment on my check. Mind you, this is after calling this company many times, waiting sometimes more than an hour for a person to pick up. This was numerous times. The only time they answer quicker is when you call to report a problem. But to follow up, then you wait hours and hours. They tell you to go to the website which gives you no information other than to say pending.

So finally when the service guy sent the report after me threatening him, I call them up thinking, great, I am getting a new refrigerator. Nope. Oh, the part that broke is not covered under the warranty. What???? I mean, I bought it because obviously I know nothing about the house or appliances, how old they are. I have a rusty hole in the back of my refrigerator. I thought it covered if it breaks, we fix or replace, period! What a rip off. All these realtors around here push this crap.

I am going to file a complaint with BBB and send them a consumer protection letter, but it will probably be for nothing. I mean, they are selling a home warranty. Nobody told me I had to read what they cover or don't cover for every single possible thing that can go wrong in a house. I mean, that is ridiculous. I consider this false advertising and I also blame the Realtor. Now after spending money on the house and spending money on updating, now we have to spend probably $4k on a new fridge. I am so upset. Lesson learned the hard way, I guess, so I want to warn others. Stay away. Just buy a brand-new house.

Original review: April 6, 2022

I am predisposed to insure everything, but Do Not Use the OLD REPUBLIC HOME PROTECTION Company, Inc. Our experience with the first call after purchasing a $650.00 agreement 3 weeks ago was that when we tried to hook our new washer and dryer up and couldn't get the water to flow out of the valve, they kept us waiting on the phone for over 2 hours on hold to talk to the dispatcher. Then after finally getting the dispatcher (**) on the phone, she indicated the valve repair is not a covered expense - citing in small print the "washer box" is not covered.

The "washer box" is apparently a reference to those hot and cold water valves that you turn on and off when you connect or disconnect a new washing machine. Note: The fine print of what is NOT COVERED on our policy under plumbing is longer than the list of what is covered. So, not only do you need to be a plumber, or electrician or contractor to know what is really included in this expensive policy and what isn't, you should be prepared for disappointment after spending hours on the phone waiting for someone to tell you that you will have to go pay for this yourself.

We hired a plumber to come out and do the repair for us, for $350. Insurance companies that charge this much - $650 - should not have exclusions for valid home repairs. But I guess they have tallied all of the repairs that happen to new homeowners, and put in place an algorithm that lists the common issues as not covered. They always make their money, now I know why, terrible service, and terrible policies that protect the company, not the homeowner. I would cancel this policy, but my husband says we should keep it for something really important. So if we ever need to call again, I'll be sure to give myself a few hours to wait, and try to set my expectations very very low.

Original review: March 31, 2022

Bought a house. Turns out the Plumbing has major issues. Low water pressure, water heater non-functioning. Toliet that won't flush. Should be covered, right? Wrong? These guys are professionals at denying coverage. It's all a lie. These guys are frauds.

Take a Home Warranty Quiz. Get matched with an Authorized Partner.

Old Republic Home Protection Company Information