Old Republic Home Protection

Compare Home Warranties, Service Plans

Research top Home Warranties, Service Plans recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I live in Florida and about a month after my family moved in our home we had a cold spell and had to use our heater. It worked for maybe 30 seconds before the Air Handler circuit breaker would pop. I was thankful that I remembered we got a home warranty and not to stress over it. I contacted ORHP the next day. They gave me a name of a contractor that would be coming out. After 2 missed appointments and taking time off work this contractor finally showed up. The technician walked in the door and looked at the circuit breaker and said it's the wrong size amperage. How did the previous owner heat the house???

I also told him the airflow coming from the vents is weak. He ignored me and said there was nothing wrong with them. (I wrote a negative review on yelp for them too.) The contractor said I could expect a call from ORHP and they would send an electrician out. After several days they still didn't contact me. I reached out to ORHP. Long story short they said they wouldn't cover it because it was installed wrong. No wonder why this company has a one star review. Their coverage is absolutely useless. I made the recommended my realtor to pick another company.

Old Republic sent a local repair company (a $100 deductible cost to me) to see the issue with my refrigerator which was covered by their policy. The repair company informed me they would not give me a new refrigerator but would order parts to repair. I understood if they could repair the refrigerator, it made business sense not to replace with a new one. Well 2 weeks later with no response I called Old Republic in California. They informed me one of the parts was back ordered. After two more weeks went by they said they would send another repair company who would take the parts out of the refrigerator and send them out for repair. At this time I again asked them to do the right thing and replace the refrigerator as they had no timeline when and how long before the part would be in.

Well the second repair company did not show up. Another phone call to Old Republic. They said they would buy me a small college dorm refrigerator and refund my $100 deductible. After approximately 6 weeks and still no working refrigerator and no repair part likely coming in the foreseeable future, I agreed to take a settlement of $425 which they said was the cost of the repair. I understand a repair is always better financially than replacing with a new appliance. But a reputable business company after a reasonable time should do the right thing for the consumer. Waiting more than 6 weeks without a refrigerator and no guarantee repair date they forced me into a settlement. A like replacement refrigerator was $2300.

My wife and I purchased a four-year-old property and as part of that transaction purchased an Old Republic Home Protection Plan. We have to date had need to call for service twice once regarding water pressure that could not be corrected and most recently regarding our water heater. The following is regarding the most recent call and should be a HUGE WATCH OUT for all new to nearly new homes. I called ORHP on Saturday morning when we first noticed the issue (no hot water). They dispatched the work order to a company that does not work on Saturday. I called ORHP to report the service availability and I was referred to a different provider. To my surprise, the second provider did not work on Saturday either. After a third call to ORHP, I was given approval to call an independent provider who came out immediately.

The technician "Radiant Plumbing" was timely, thorough, and professional as he determined that the "Gas Control Valve" was not functioning correctly and required replacement. We called ORHP with the assessment and discovered that "because the part that failed was COVERED BY A MANUFACTURERS WARRANTY... ORHP WOULD NOT COVER ANY CLAIM BEYOND THE INITIAL ASSESSMENT". After some research and many many calls to ORHP, they are committed to their statement of not covering anything that is covered by a mfg warranty.

This statement contradicts their website and the very answers to their FAQ's. Why would anyone that know this buy an Old Republic Home Protection Policy. I want to bring this awareness to everyone who buys a new or nearly new home to AVOID OLD REPUBLIC HOME PROTECTION as a home warranty source. DON'T DO IT!!! DEEPLY DISAPPOINTED IN CENTRAL TEXAS.

We recently purchase a home in North Myrtle Beach, SC. At the Seller's choosing the Seller purchased a home warranty plan for our benefit. Within days of closing on our home we found that the dishwasher would not drain and contacted ORHP. The agent told us that our plan had not been issued and the plan under which the seller purchased was not effective for our use at that time.

After much complaint on my part we were finally given a claim number. A few days later we were contacted by ORHP and told that they did not have an authorized service contractor in our area and we would have to find one on our own. We were also told that if ORHP approve of the work and written estimate that ORHP would reimburse us up to $60 for the service call. As it turned out the Seller's recent installation of a garbage disposable was what was causing our problem; hence, we were not covered.

Within a month we discovered that we had two roof leaks. Again, we contacted ORHP to submit a service request. Again, ORHP did not have an authorized service provider in our area and we would have to find one on our own. Lo and behold, same result. Our claim was denied because ORHP roof coverage does not cover flanges or flange pipe connectors. And, because the claim is not covered the service charge will not be reimbursed. Recently our new air handling unit stopped working. We will not contact ORHP. We are saving ourselves the time, the frustration and the extreme anger with this company.

Like many people we received a year of ORHW coverage when we purchased our home a year ago - and like many people we did NOT renew our warranty with Old Republic after the year expired. They seem to specialize in contracting the work out to individuals who will do shotty work or find a way to not do the work at all.

The first time we called it was for backed up pipes - they sent out a plumber who decided it was "probably roots" without scoping the pipes or anything... because he reported to ORHW that it was (again I quote) "probably pipes" they would not send out any other plumbers. Same thing happened with a 28 year old fridge that was leaking water - the appliance guy said we "could have mold because of it" and now of course we can't get a new fridge installed until we pay to prove we don't have a mold problem. If you have ORHW expect loopholes and contradictions with loads of frustration. Save yourself the sanity and the $$$ by going with a more reputable company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Old Republic Home Protection?

The worst home insurance company I have ever dealt with. I had an issue with a microwave door. They denied the claim that it's not normal use issue (break). It's a 13-year microwave, what do they expect? IT'S PLASTIC. The customer service was very rude and spoke very demeaningly like I did something wrong spoke to supervisor Jason **, he was also very rude. I would never recommend this company. SAVE your money because when you'll need insurance they won't help.

We have had ORHP for just barely one year. Our experience is as follows: We had a few issues - refrigerator died, kitchen outlet blew up, a leak in the 2nd floor shower requiring the seal on the glass door replaced, the sewer pipe from the house connecting to the one going to the road. The folks, that ORHP sends, do not necessarily have liability or insurance for their business - they do claim that they are licensed. They are not even members of Better Business Bureau so the homeowner can check. The folks that ORHP sends are very skilled in figuring out whether they should call the job "repair" or not. These folks diagnose the problem. For example - the electrician that came said it was NOT a repair. It was an installation issue he said and could repair it for $450.00. This was clearly NOT an installation issue. The kitchen has been functional since 2011. He did not even take the cover plate off to diagnose.

The sewer pipe was also diagnosed by the plumber as not a 'repair". But we had to get this done so we ended up paying $1700.00 from our pocket. The refrigerator repairman actually found the problem and replaced the circuit board but we had to call him twice in 30 days for the same problem to get it fixed - if you call them for a second time for the same problem, you get charged again for the visit. Sometimes people are out of town - people commute a lot nowadays and this 30-day rule is not realistic since sometimes the scheduled appt cannot be honored. The kitchen leak was not fixed by ORHP.

I am not sure you can get a person who actually is NOT trying to get business outside the "repair" domain. Each one who came except the refrigerator repairman said it was NOT a repair job and that ORHP would not pay them. In some cases like a leaks inside the house are covered ONLY if it is a "repair" job as diagnosed by an ORHP-chosen company/person. Sometimes you can get a handyman to do the job - and these handymen are very helpful and can recommend their plumber/electrician friends who are licensed who you could get to correct the problem. I find that it is more beneficial to get a maintenance contract with a reputable plumbing and HVAC company that can be a whole lot more reliable since you can ask for a specific person every time.

Your expenses for the maintenance contracts are just a little more than the money you will pay for a Homeowner's Warranty but a WHOLE lot more beneficial. We had in our other rental home - American Home Shield and when we bought our homes in South Brunswick (through the builder) and the home we live in (through the seller) and NONE of them were worth it. Jobs done were shoddily completed which we had to get redone later cause parts were poor quality, no clean up after the job was done etc. Homeowner's Warranty are not worthwhile since diagnosis depends on their people who are also trying to get more money by doing the job privately - HOW companies do not pay the the market rate one person said. All on All ORHP has been really a rip off - and this in my first year with ORHP through the seller/real estate agent.

In the purchase of my home I was sold a warranty from Old Republic Home Protection. I have been without a refrigerator for one week. According to them, the part is "on order". What-where is the part coming from? And the service I am receiving is terrible. No one bother to call us back and the tech they sent was not knowledgeable of how to repair a refrigerator. I have several names written down and they are all rude. At the end of the year this warranty will not be renewed. I am writing the Realtor's Association in Birmingham, they need to change companies, this one is a total rip off. Then I am told they would not replace the refrigerator - but give me the cost of the repair towards a new one. RIP OFF.

We wanted a home warranty when we bought our home, and unfortunately, this company was recommended to us. The first time they came out to look at our AC, they told us we needed a new unit then tried to sell us a 4 year old model for the cost of a brand new one. Luckily we didn't fall for it and they reluctantly fixed the problem. The next time we called because our thermostat stopped working. The guy they sent didn't bring any tools. He looked at the outside of the furnace and said he couldn't do anything because we needed a whole new furnace. He then went outside to look at our wiring to our AC. In his report, he said our unit wasn't working because our dogs chewed up all the wiring. This was a flat out lie.

When I asked Old Republic to send someone else out, they said they could only get one opinion. They would not do anything unless we paid thousands for a new furnace, wiring, and ducting. I cancelled the request, called another HVAC company on my own and had the problem fixed for less than $200. Our furnace works fine and did not need replaced. I would NOT waste my money on this company. All they want to do is rip you off. They send the worst, most unprofessional people to look at your house and they never want to fix anything. Again, don't waste your money or time.

We contacted old republic when our sink in the bathroom had a stoppage. They sent a plumber who said they could not access the plumbing without removing the pedestal sink. The plumber said he would have to call Old Republic to let them know about the sink removal. The plumber proceeded to walk outside to his car, got in and drove off. I got a call from Old Republic an hour later and they said that the plumber did not feel comfortable removing the sink to get to the plumbing. The customer service rep then contradicted himself and said that the removal wasn't covered and that's why the plumber wasn't going to remove it.

We would have to put in a new work order to have the plumber come back AFTER we removed the sink for the plumber! For them to access the plumbing we would have to remove the pedestal sink. We called a local rooter plumbing company and paid an extra $20 to have the rooter guy come in, not have to remove the sink and get the stoppage out. Peace of mind! Unfortunately, the servicing companies that Old Republic uses are absolutely awful.

This company is a full on scam. I have paid now three times, for three different people to come out and tell me my AC leaks. The first one said it was not covered, I had to pay AGAIN for another one to come out once I discovered my policy did have this coverage. The third one is saying it was an improper install so isn't covered. I paid to have my own HVAC person look at it. He said it is installed fine and that there is a leak. I will be paying to have it fixed, but first photographing everything to prove that it was not installed improperly. I will then take them to court. What a pain in the ass, but honestly, I am so angry at this scam of a company. What a joke.

My pool motor (for the cleaning & fountain) is no longer working. Old Republic sent out their tech (Pelican Bay) and the technician turned a screw driver a couple of time and proceeded to sit in his truck for 30 minutes. At that time he informed me the pop ups were broken and it was not my motor. I had my pool man look at the motor and YES the motor is broken. Go figure! When you purchase a policy for your home and are told if the pool breaks it will be covered is not the actual truth. Old Republic say this part is NOT covered under my plan. Well then what good is this... so far I have not found anything that is covered! What a scam. How does this continue to happen??? ** business and they should be shut down!!! Yes a disgruntled customer and will NEVER continue my coverage with them.

It cost me a $75, three trips from their repairman and over a month of waiting to come to the conclusion that they could not repair my dishwasher. They offered to put a black panel on a white dishwasher which I told them that was unacceptable so they offered to give me 225$. So if you do the math... $500 home warranty cost, $75 deductible, $575 total paid for home warranty = no dishwasher and a very unsatisfied customer. Plus their customer service reps talk over you and just repeat themselves. Don't waste your money with Old Republic.

When we signed up with Old Republic we were told that if any issue arise with our Water Heater, A/C, etc as long as it's not our fault, Old Republic will gladly send someone to fix it or replace it. Well, yesterday one of the electric wires of the water heater started to smoke. So, we unplugged it and called Old Republic thinking it should not be a problem, we are all covered!

The next thing we know they send us a plumber who does not even have a permit to work in our city and can get a huge fine for charging people for his work. So, this plumber tells us that we need to pay $700 for the code upgrade. How do you like that? We have 4 small children and not to have hot water is inconvenient. This is the reason why we even purchased home warranty: to avoid out of pocket expenses.

I called Old Republic for a plumber to come out to check on a guest bathroom shower/bath combo valve issue. They say valves are covered, but then gave me a song and dance about why my valves weren't covered. They are a lying company who does not back what is clearly written on the warranty we purchased. Once they get your money, case over. If you want to get screwed feel free to purchase a home warranty from these crooks!

We are 1st time buyer for a new home and we just moved right there and then. That night we found out that there's a leak that cause molds from the master bathroom through the kitchen ceiling. We right away called "Old Republic Home Warranty" and inquire about our plan which they will cover to fix the leak and they told us "Nothing to worry. It's all cover by our policy." They called the plumbing company to make appointment to fix the problem and they did fix the leak. Now 2 weeks later we called them and asked to repair the wall and the ceiling that they took and they told us at first they will cover the repair except for paint.

I spoke to the agent "Amber". My husband called them too and we found out that they will not cover all the repairs for the wall and ceiling. This is not fair. They took the wall and ceiling just to fixed the leak and now they're telling us they will not covering the repair to put it back. Now we tried to called our homeowners insurance and we will end up pay for the deductible of $2,500 for them to fix it. "Old Republic Home Warranty" is the worse home warranty ever. I will definitely not renew our plan for next year. I will report them to the government insurance commission for this. Guys if you're looking for home warranty please don't get this company "old republic home warranty". Hope this review will help you choose the right home warranty for your home.

We've found this to be a total rip-off. It's more of a repairs buying club than a real insurance company. We got this plan as part of the purchase of our vacation home. The seller provided it as a selling point. The pressure assist water pump went out Labor Day weekend making it difficult to use water so we called a reputable area plumber who was recommended independently by two other people we know in the area. We knew we had the policy, which we didn't have with us at the time, but assumed them to be a reputable "real" insurance company. We thought we'd just need to put in a claim. In fact, they refuse to even consider paying for it because they "had someone answering the phone on Labor Day."

You apparently have to call them ahead of time to beg them to fix your problem on their time schedule, using THEIR service people, the way they see fit, using whatever parts they see fit to use, etc. To them, it's not an emergency unless there is no water - not a single drop - coming into the home. We had 14 family members at the house over the July 4th holiday. Had it happened then, the process would have been to wait for this joke of an "insurance" company to get around to fixing it in their own sweet time or paying for everything ourselves. Needing a house to be fully functional at all times is not a concern to them. You'd also have to pay a fee - they call it a "Trade (Service) Call Fee" yourself. They conveniently leave the amount of that fee undefined.

My impression is that they will make getting service so difficult you give up and just pay for it yourself under any circumstances - and if that doesn't work they probably have agreements that allow them to pay servicemen only a portion of what they normally charge, then get a large fee from you to cover most of that. They just don't feel like an above board reputable "insurance" company. They seem to have clauses and excuses to get out of everything. "At our sole discretion..." "We have the sole right..." "We reserve the right..." None of those sentences end in anything that favors the consumer anywhere in their agreement. If you're going to buy a home and someone tries to sell it to you based on having an Old Republic Home Protection plan on the house, tell them it doesn't even have value as toilet paper.

I am a realtor and I rely upon home warranties to assure my clients that their home purchase will be covered and repairs will be made when things don't work within the first year of ownership. I ordered this home warranty policy for a client and discovered that the built in microwave was malfunctioning 3 days after move in. This appliance was working at the home inspection and was working to heat things in the first few days of occupancy, but when the F2 signal went on, the clients called for service.

When the repair was called in, the claims rep asked if it was working when the owners moved in and the owners said yes. The claim was referred to a service company (E&J Appliance repair) and the situation/problem code on the microwave was reported to the service company. They originally schedule to come out on Sept. 6, but realized they did not have the part, so they cancelled the service visit and got authorization to order the part. They finally got the part in 20 days later and were scheduled to install it. The repair company brought the part with them, but the technician had to report to the claims representative because the claim had been flagged because it was so close to the close date. The technician told the claims rep that the part had been failing for some time and the claims rep called it a pre-existing condition and refused to pay for the repair.

This is how Old Republic Home Protection gets out of doing repairs. An appliance breaks within the time frame of the policy, and they call it a pre-existing condition and refuse to honor the policy. And then to add insult to injury, they charge a $65 repair co-pay for a repair that is never done. This was an Ultimate Buyer's Plan with Star coverage added. The policy cost $475 and we cancelled the policy after the denial. For three weeks of coverage, they are only refunding $318. Thanks for nothing ORHP. Be assured I will never recommend this company to another of my clients. This is your job, to make sure new home purchasers are insured and covered from mechanical and system failures in a new home. You failed miserably at doing your job.

We got Old Republic when we bought our house so we renewed this year. In July when it was over 100 outside it took 11 days to get our unit repaired. Forward to this weekend: same unit not working again. Also when we went downstairs to check on it we found the hot water heater was leaking - this was Saturday. As of today Tuesday no has been out to fix either one. ORHW told us last night that we were not a priority since we have a unit downstairs. Hello kitchen, laundry etc is all upstairs. They need to come cook for me upstairs. I recommend a home warranty but I would not use this company again. As soon as our contract is up we will find another company.

The one year warranty came with the purchase of our home. At first we were satisfied with the service. We even got a brand new microwave when ours could not be fixed. Then, when our washing machine needed to be fixed it was not covered. What? I was told it was an add on to our contract and since we did not add it on it was not covered! $500 later for a new washer. At that time I was told I did NOT have an appliance package (fridge, etc). And of course NO pool coverage. WOW glad I got that one year free!

Then in the middle of summer (Las Vegas) our ac stopped working when it was 118 degrees! 12, yes 12 service visits later within a 6 month period, the ac still is not working properly. The techs kept band aiding the problems and have even lost cover screws to the unit. My husband went up on the roof to clean the coils (as instructed) and found cigarette butts all over my roof!!!

I called OR and made complaint after complaint about the so called repairs, the no call, no shows from the contractors, 4 different ac companies, the cigarette butts, lost screws, the time I had to take off work, and subsequently the basic disregard of all these things and more and guess what do they do? They cancel my renewal contract!! Haha. Really. Goes to show you, in my opinion there is some type of scam going either with the ac contractors or with the home warranty company. Either way stay away from OR. They say they will fix it or replace it. That's not what happened with me.

We had a drain backup in our garage for the washing machine. I called Old Republic on a Saturday and it was really quick and easy to set up a service call. They sent a confirmation email immediately after. I was a little concerned about the plumber they assigned to the job because they didn't have good reviews on Google. However, they called me later that night (Saturday) to schedule a time to come out. I wasn't expecting to hear from them until Monday. They got me in first thing Monday morning, were on time and did a good job.

We bought our home and got ORHP. We had an inspection and all was in working order. Got to our house and the toilet was leaking. They refused to fix since it was the day we closed. Don't answer any questions they ask you. Just keep saying it doesn't work properly. They are trying to find a way to not cover it.

I ended up with a 1-year home warranty through ORHP as part of the purchase of my home. In the past, any warranty claim I've ever had to file - whether for home or automobile - has been a fairly smooth process with a direct fix or replacement to bring my protected property back to its state before the claim. I have had to open a few claims since buying the home - mostly for appliances (they came with the house and the house is 11 years old) and also one for A/C repair. For the most part, ORHP was great when setting up the claim and getting a repair contractor out to do the work. I had to pay a few trade call fees at $100/each but when the repair would run nearly $500 or more, the trade call fee is great value.

However, my last claim has not gone well at all. Partially because of the company hired by ORHP to do the work and partially because of ORHP's cheap way of getting around appliance replacements. I have a stainless steel Whirlpool Gold Oven/Microwave combo wall unit that has been problematic (several trade calls to have repairs done). On the last repair, it was deemed necessary to just replace the whole unit. ORHP verified the replacement decision and gave me the option to either:

1. Take cash in lieu of repair - this sounded great until I noticed that they would be sending me a check for several hundred dollars less than what it would cost to replace the appliance. They would also no longer cover the work to install/replace/haul away if I took this option. 2. Get a replacement installed - sounds great until I read that they refuse to directly replace stainless steel units... they will only give me the choice of a black or white appliance (my kitchen is all stainless appliances, therefore this option is terrible).

Now they have me between a rock and a hard place. After speaking to them to try and just negotiate the actual replacement value (I told them I would cover the cost of labor/install/etc), they will not budge and frankly were a bit rude about the whole ordeal. I'm talking about a difference of maybe $300-$400; a significant chunk of change. They state that they get their values from their supplier network and that dollar values for replacements are not always on par with retail value (no kidding!). What a joke. I would look elsewhere for a home warranty - do not give these people your time, money, or effort.

I chose Old Republic Home Protection at the recommendation of my real estate agent when purchasing my (older) home. I have had several service calls during the past year. Positive one: Water heater - broke and leaked all over garage. Discovered Friday afternoon - was replaced by Saturday afternoon. Service provider was very friendly and professional. Even took care of a leaky faucet under the same service call. Small plumbing line modification was necessary and not included ($40.00).

Rest: Garbage Disposal - started smoking - motor burning hot to touch. Called in service - they showed no concern about potential fire hazard. Insisted on getting number to call service provider directly (on several other prior calls it generally took a day or two to hear from any service provider - if they called at all.). Explained the situation to service provider - dispatcher promised to explain situation to service manager to see if it was a true fire hazard and said they would call back. No callback as promised but appointment was scheduled for next day. Obviously my house did not burn down (I unplugged disposal and poured/ran bunch of water down it - smoke decreased and eventually it cooled down.). They replaced disposal and the service technician was nice.

Rest of my service calls were fairly useless (garage door opener and pool). Especially pool issues - never got promised callback from provider. Had to call OR back multiple times. Called service provider directly - would only schedule for the following day late in the afternoon if any time available (non urgent issue - due to work schedule I needed appointment to be scheduled several days in advance) - Requested new service provider - also difficult to schedule. When finally came out -main problem not covered (did fix minor issue). Promised a quote to fix main problem - never heard from them again.

Old Republic's service (when calling in) left a bad taste in my mouth. Also, a lot of their service providers are difficult to deal with and not very friendly. Decided to renew with another company - American Home Shield. I used them with my prior house years ago and was happy with their service. Same coverage (but with higher coverage limits) was also about $100.00 cheaper for the year. Service fee is $10/call more with the new company.

I had so many bad experiences with this company with my clients and with myself. I just got insured and the AC starting to not pass air to one of the rooms. Contacted the home protection, I paid my fees. The company was not satisfied the report. They order another opinion, same result. They still were happy about the diagnose, they had to pay. They requested a fourth and a fifth opinion so finally the last opinion said that it was the "design of the house" therefore they finally found a reason to deny coverage. The house is a normal 3 bed 3 bath home in the city of Montebello. There is nothing wrong with the design of the house. Yet Old Republic made me waste over two months to satisfy themselves and deny the coverage. I do not nor will ever recommend this company. They cover themselves only, NOT CONSUMERS!!! Previously, on my old house, they denied a leaking under the sink!!!

My box overheated last summer and I paid for their service to come out then the next day they decline the repair due to pre-existing condition. This company is a rip off! Buyer beware. Skip this company. My realtor refuses to refer them anymore!

Old Republic sent Absolute Heating and Cooling to re-work my inside unit and they refused to come out and complete the work which was to rehook the unit to the duct and Old Republic did nothing about it. I first called them on 8/14 and today is 8/27 and my duct has not been repaired yet. Air is going out of the duct into thin air. I have been cooling the outside and my electric bill has increased. I would not recommend Old Republic to anyone. Old Republic called another provider which as of today which has been 4 days has not gotten back with Old Republic to set up an appointment with me and tell Old Republic their fee to do my hook my duct to the inside A/C unit. I don't think customer service went over and beyond.

I've used Old Republic for three years. Each year we call about the HVAC unit. Each year some rumdum adds Freon. Called on Wednesday, never got a return call with contractor called Affordable 205-585-8099. Called Republic again Friday and asked for weekend service since it 100 degrees in Alabama and this is a second story unit and our second request. Republic doesn't know the hours of the contractors, won't provide OT, nor called the original contractor to find out when they are coming.

Got second contractor number, Cahaba HVAC 205-365-4687 who answered his phone and said he would call Saturday morning to let me know if he could get someone to our house. Yep still waiting to hear from that rumdum. I will probably never hear from another contractor nor will I ever receive an refund from Republic, but they will never see another penny from me and I will make sure that everyone I know is aware that Old Republic is the worst company, with the worst customer service and evidently contractors who can't get work any other way.

After setting up a tech visit using Old Republic, the tech was very helpful and wrote my diagnostic up for me to sign and he passed it along to Old Republic. Within 30 minutes they called and DENIED my claim. They stated that since there was something lodged in washer drain pipe (inside the unit) it was not covered under 'normal use'. How the heck am I suppose to know that there is something in there from the previous owner? That is why I call the experts and have my 'home warranty' cover the repair. Old Republic is clearly looking to gouge your money upon purchase of a home, only to deny the majority of their claims. This is evident by the long list of complaints. I would strongly advise not to use this company for your home warranty. Look elsewhere!

I am filing a complaint in hopes it will prevent someone else from having to go through with what I have been. I was told by an HVAC person to call in an emergency because my breaker to HVAC kept tripping and it could catch my house on fire. I have been fighting with them since. They kept sending "Fly by night" people out who did nothing but wrote on the ticket that they did. I watched them and they lied. After over 3 wks it was discovered by Early Services that the HVAC was leaking water. Since then ORHP have lied and lied to me. Every person that called changed everything that was going to happen. I am 80, live alone, have no air in over 100 degree rooms and nothing but little fans to try breathe. I have chronic back pain, wear a back brace and I can't get the HVAC in. They have told me for over 2 wks it was being shipped on a Monday and installed on Wed. Company called me last week and they have no HVAC to install. Another lie from ORHP.

I am worried sick. I will have a stroke in the severe heat in my home. I received a call again today but could not understand what she was saying and she said she would call me back BUT DIDN'T, as usual. I have filed complaints with Consumer Affairs and various other place but ORHP ignores them because their lies are working. I am now trying to get assistant for our new elder abuse law in AL and will soon have what I need to go after ORHP. I have numerous people who deal with ORHP who are also getting information and hopefully they will get rid of using their company when homes are sold. They shouldn't be allowed to even have a company. How sorry can they get when they don't care if heat kills a person as long as they can get the equipment needed cheaper. WORDS CAN'T EXPLAIN WHAT A SORRY COMPANY THEY ARE AND STILL GET AWAY WITH WHAT THEY ARE DOING TO PEOPLE.

Expert Review

Michele LernerMortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.    More about Michele→

Old Republic Home Protection has been in business for more than 40 years. Founded in 1974 as Dependable Home Warranty, which provided services only in California, the company joined Old Republic International in 1982 and has been expanding the number of states it serves annually.

• Enhanced coverage: Unlike most home warranty companies, Old Republic covers repairs or replacements even if the problem is due to lack of maintenance, rust or an unknown pre-existing condition.
  • Customer satisfaction: Old Republic conducts weekly random surveys of their customers to provide an additional check on their service providers.
  • High coverage limits: Old Republic covers the repair or replacement of most items up to $1000 to $1500 per year; kitchen refrigerators are covered up to $2500.
  • Delayed coverage: While the warranty program goes into effect immediately if it’s purchased during a real estate transaction, the coverage is delayed for 30 days after payment if a homeowner purchases it.
  • Cancellation fee: While there’s no penalty for cancelling within the first 20 days, after that, customers will pay a 10% penalty in some states.
  • Best for Home sellers, first-time homebuyers and real estate agents.

Compare Home Warranties, Service Plans