Protect What Matters Most

2. Homeowners
  3. Home Warranties

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.35/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Old Republic Home Protection, formerly known as Dependable Home Warranty, offers one-year service contracts that cover home system and appliance repairs. The company has three plans with optional add-ons: Standard, Ultimate and Platinum. Coverage is only available in 24 states and Washington, D.C., though.

BOTTOM LINE

Old Republic Home Protection has easy-to-understand plans with transparent pricing. Its customizable coverage is convenient but only available in 24 states and Washington, D.C.

PROS

• Customizable coverage
    • Educational resources
    • Clear pricing

CONS

• Limited availability

Top Old Republic Home Protection Reviews

As a Realtor, I recommend this company to all my sellers and buyers. I maintain this warranty platinum edition on my personal home - renewing annually... I have saved $2700 in repairs... A trade fee call of $65 is all I pay toward each repair service. I wouldn't be without it.

There are many home warranty companies in the marketplace and I highly recommend Old Republic for your home warranty company. They are easy to reach, quick in finding excellent service folk, reasonably priced and always accessible.

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

What is Old Republic Home Protection?

Old Republic Home Protection is a home warranty company that offers three different plans has a 24/7 claims department that lets you make a claim anytime.

Old Republic doesn’t operate nationwide, but its website has a map of the states it services. Click on your state to read a brochure detailing Old Republic’s coverage in your state in English or Spanish.

Old Republic Home Protection plans

Old Republic has three plans and numerous add-ons:

• Standard Coverage: This basic plan from Old Republic partially covers several major home systems (including heating, cooling, plumbing and electrical) and some appliances (including dishwashers, trash compactors, kitchen exhaust fans, ranges, ovens, cooktops, built-in microwaves, garage door openers and central vacuums).
      • Ultimate Protection: Ultimate coverage includes everything in the Standard plan with the same or more thorough protection. It also includes additional systems and appliances.
      • Platinum Protection: Old Republic’s most comprehensive offering, the Platinum Protection plan, offers everything in the Standard and Ultimate plans and more, including higher limits and extended plumbing coverage.
      • Optional add-ons: You can customize your coverage with add-ons to take care of additional equipment, including your HVAC system, pool or roof.

Old Republic's most common contract length is 12 months. Plans have a 30-day waiting period between signing the contract and the start of coverage.

Old Republic Home Protection coverage

Old Republic’s warranties cover the following home systems, appliances and specialty items.

Systems
      • Septic systems
      • Well pumps
      • Pools and spas

Old Republic cost

Old Republic annual premiums range from $250 to $1,500, and repair service fees range from $55 to $100 with an average of $75. These costs depend on the size, condition and location of your home. We’ve broken down expected annual costs based on home type for Old Republic plans in Texas below:

Home typeStandard CoverageUltimate CoveragePlatinum Coverage
      Condo/townhome/mobile home$355$460$665
      Single-family$405$510$615
      Duplex$600$750N/A
      Triplex$900$1,100N/A
      Fourplex$1,150$1,400N/A
      New construction$665$775N/A

For more details on costs, visit the Old Republic website to see a map of where it operates. Click on your state to read a brochure that fully details plan costs.

Old Republic FAQ

Where is Old Republic available?
      Old Republic is available in Washington, D.C., and the following 24 states: Alabama, Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia and Washington.
      Does Old Republic require a home inspection?
      No, you can get a home warranty from Old Republic without a home inspection.
      Can I cancel my Old Republic home warranty?
      Yes, you can cancel your Old Republic home warranty. If you do, you get a prorated refund, but you also have to pay service costs and a $50 processing fee.
      Does Old Republic have a service work guarantee?
      Yes. Old Republic guarantees service work for 30 days.

Is Old Republic worth it?

Old Republic might be worth it if you’re looking for a home warranty to cover the systems and appliances in your home. We like that the company has customizable coverage and educational resources on its website. Just make sure you live in one of the states where Old Republic offers coverage.

Old Republic Home Protection Reviews

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

I’ve been using Old Republic for several years now. Apart from one provider who did not work out so well, although he did eventually get the job done, I have been impressed and very happy with Old Republic. This is especially true with the last problem I had which required some extensive work and Old Republic came through for me. I recommend them very highly.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

I called them regarding our water heater not heating water, they sent out a plumber that afternoon & he said the water heater wasn’t working properly, yes I know this. So he said it’s the heating elements, ok so now what? He said he would change them out real quick, so after dragging our water hose into our home & draining the water heater, he changed them out, still no hot water, now a small amount of Luke warm for about 2 min. Ok he will be back tomorrow - why? So I phoned Old Republic again & told them what he said, so they called him & asked him what was the issue & he said he had no clue!

So old republic called me back within minutes & said they’re sending someone else, next day new plumber showed up & he said it was the heating elements & it couldn’t be repaired. So he informs me that our water heater wasn’t up to code, after he asked me how long had we owned our home & I informed him that his question had nothing to do with the water heater & I wasn’t sharing any info besides the water heater issue. So he tells me again the water heater wasn’t up to code & that he’d need to run all new lines & pipe, how much are we talking? He tells me it’s $1300 & old republic won’t cover but $600-$800 of it & I can pay him cash for the difference! So I tell him I’d need to discuss this w/ my husband & he leaves, he calls me 2.5 hrs later to see if we made a decision!!!

I call old republic the next morning (had to wait for them to receive the outcome from him), they tell me that they will cover labor & a new water heater but nothing else, okay we aren’t going to use the plumbers they’ve sent out & they said they could mail me a check to cover the labor & new water heater, okay let’s do that! I received the check within 6 days & we called a local plumber & he did the work of replacing our water heater & he told us that every was in code, which we already knew since we’d had a home inspection completed 12 months earlier! Old republic was great! No complaints this time. My dryer went out & I called old republic & was told it wasn’t covered, Okay well at least dryers aren’t over the top expensive.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

I have been working with 9 different home warranties as a contractor and also as a home owner before and I can state based on my experiences that Old Republic do all the effort to serve as better as possible the homeowners to address the different issues. I understand there are some frustrated homeowners who open a new home warranty and want next day to address the problem and also to replace appliances and AC units or even full bundle system of HVAC but as I can see ORHP do the best effort to do the repair or replacement in the best way.

I have been in the business with home warranties as a holder of 6 licenses in California state and I am happy to work with them and I can tell in the probably 500 customers we attend per year I know we resolve completely the problems in the best manner with 490. The other 10 were not covered because type of repair is not cover for the insurance... For example a customer calls because no power in the microwave but we found is an overload cause one simple 15 amps breaker is working the whole kitchen and it trips often. That's an overload and is a problem for no proper wiring and needs to add additional circuits.

Anyway I can talk what is the worst home warranty or evaluate each one also but my intention is talk in favour of a company who treats in the best way to the customers, do the best effort and try the best to all of them. I can state that as a contractor and I am still working with other home warranties but I can say with no doubt Old Republic is the best.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

I just purchased a house and have Old Republic home warranty protection. I had to call Old Republic due to issues with 1 of my tankless water heaters. They couldn't get someone out here for a few days so said I could call someone myself and they would reimburse me or wait a few days for them to send someone out. The plumber came out, "Diagnosed" the problem and installed the parts. I called Old Republic later the same day to let them know the issue was NOT fixed and they said they would send the plumber back out and I would not have to pay the service call fee because it's the same issue.

The plumbers now are saying I need to modify my gas line going to the water heater and it is not in code. Old Republic is covering to have this fixed but there are non-covered cost for the gas line outside the house. Old Republic has been going back and forth with plumbers on the non-covered cost and trying to figure out why it is so high. Got tired of waiting for the plumbers and told Old Republic we would take the pay out so we can fix it ourselves (The Plumbing Co they use is known around town for doing ** work). My only complaint is the amount of time it's taking to get the checks. It's been 2 weeks and still nothing.

Original review: March 28, 2020

For the past two years I had been perfectly happy with ORHP, no issues, great price point, and had all repair requests approved and handled promptly. However, I can no longer leave a good review. During renewal, I learned how outdated and inflexible they are as a company. Two years ago, my Realtor signed me up for the first year free as a perk of buying a new home. I had no control over the plan I was given. Upon renewal a year later, I removed the refrigerator coverage which cost $75 as I knew I would be getting a new one that would come with 1-year warranty. When it came time for my 3rd renewal this past February, I tried to add the refrigerator back on and was told once something is removed it can NEVER be added back on.

Furthermore, I discovered that my washer/dryer were never added on the policy by my Realtor and I could also NEVER add these appliances on, not even at renewal. So basically, the plan is unchangeable from day one so the plan you get is the plan you keep until you die. How outdated this is! I have never heard of an insurance company denying additional coverage. It would be like never being allowed to get insurance on your new car because it was not insured when you signed up for the policy 10 years ago. Or denying someone maternity coverage because they did not add it on their insurance policy when they were born. OHRP was firm on this, no flexibility whatsoever. They would rather lose a customer than be flexible and allow me to add on the refrigerator and washer/dryer. I was trying to throw extra money at them, and they refused it so I took my business elsewhere who values the customer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Old Republic Home Protection?

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

I have a plumbing issue in my kitchen causing both sinks to be backed up. There is no one contracted with Old Republic in this area to fix the issue. I can find someone on my own, pay the entire bill and then wait to be reimbursed by Old Republic or I can wait for another 7 days for Old Republic to send someone to fix it. (An out of area contractor) I am a senior citizen on a fixed income. I can pay the service fees but not the entire bill. I, also, need to be able to use the kitchen sink. This is the second time I have called Old Republic this year requesting services that are covered under my plan just to be told that there are no providers to send. I have been a faithful customer for 10 years, but I think it’s time to take my money elsewhere. So disappointed.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2020

To sell my house, agents required I provide them with a work service history. Old Republic doesn't have anything online that I can print out... only the services requested in the past 90 days. When I called sales/customer service, they were perplexed at such a request. Their supervisor was unwilling to even send a statement to me indicating no services had been rendered since my contract. This demonstrates zero accountability.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2020

Old Republic Home Protection is a waste of money. Our HVAC broke down right after home purchase and they forced us to use their "contractor". They sent out an unqualified person who was not even able to legally do the work in our city. He tore the furnace out, took the money and ran. We had to purchase a 2nd furnace from a reputable contractor. No heat for a week when the temps were down to 20 degrees at night. Cost us thousands more than if we just hired a contractor on our own. Don't be fooled when a realtor tries to tell you you'll be covered with this insurance. This policy is a joke. If you call for help they give you the runaround and stall then try to give you a few hundred to go away. Not sure how they are still in business.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

I bought my house in mid November 2019; didn’t move in until mid December. I used the ac/heat the beginning of January and noticed an odd sound. I wasn’t told by the seller that he bought a house warranty and he didn’t disclose any issues. It cost me over two hundred dollars for a diagnostic. After finding out it’d cost over $1500 to repair, I called the real estate attorney who then said the seller had a house warranty. I called Old Republic and they refused to cover repair saying it was a pre existing condition and that it has to be in working condition! I then asked about maintenance for the garage door which is working but obviously needs to be checked because of scraping sounds. They claim pre existing condition...then contradicted herself when I asked exactly what was the point of the warranty if they refuse to fix anything. The seller paid over $600 and I’m now going to have to pay out of my pocket on a house I just bought.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

Worst company ever. Forced my family to go without heat for at minimum 5 weeks (still on going) in the middle of winter. Agreed to replace heat system had us sign contacts to agree to pay our portion. Then when it came time to replace the system they pulled coverage. They also work with the worst service techs in your area. Literally the worse companies. Almost killed are family by saying there were no issues when in reality there were several cracks in a heat exchanger. Do not purchase coverage from this company.

Old Republic Home Protection Company Information