1.2/5 (55 ratings)

Find Home Warranties, Service Plans near you

About Old Republic Home Protection

Old Republic Home Protection, formerly known as Dependable Home Warranty, offers one-year service contracts that cover home system and appliance repairs for the sellers and buyers of resale homes. The company offers multiple plans to fit every budget with optional add-ons available. Coverage is available in 27 states and Washington, D.C.

Find Home Warranties, Service Plans near you

Pros

• Customizable coverage
    • Educational resources
    • Clear pricing

Cons

• Not available in all states

Bottom Line

Old Republic Home Protection has easy-to-understand plans with transparent pricing. Its customizable coverage is convenient and flexible but only available in 27 states and Washington, D.C

Top Old Republic Home Protection Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Old Republic Home Protection?

Verified

As a Realtor, I recommend this company to all my sellers and buyers. I maintain this warranty platinum edition on my personal home - renewing annually... I have saved $2700 in rep...

Verified

There are many home warranty companies in the marketplace and I highly recommend Old Republic for your home warranty company. They are easy to reach, quick in finding excellent se...

What is Old Republic Home Protection?

Old Republic Home Protection is a home warranty company that offers multiple plans and has a 24/7 service department that lets you make a claim when it's convenient for you.

Old Republic Home Protection offers service in 27 states and Washington, D.C., and its website has a map of the states it serves. Click on your state to view a brochure detailing Old Republic Home Protection’s coverage in your state in English and Spanish.

Old Republic Home Protection plans

Old Republic has three plans and numerous add-ons:

• Essential Coverage: This affordable plan from Old Republic Home Protection covers several major home systems (including heating, cooling, plumbing and electrical) and some appliances (excluding washer, dryer and kitchen refrigerator).
    • Standard Coverage: This plan from Old Republic Home Protection covers several major home systems (including heating, plumbing, and electrical) and most kitchen appliances (including dishwashers, trash compactors, kitchen exhaust fans, ranges, ovens, cooktops, built-in microwaves), as well as garage door openers and central vacuums. Air conditioning systems, washer, dryer, and kitchen refrigerator are included in Standard Coverage in some states.
    • Ultimate Protection: Ultimate Protection includes everything in the Standard Plan plus increased coverage for correcting code violations, haul away, permits, and more. It also includes enhanced system and appliance coverage.
    • Platinum Protection: Old Republic’s most comprehensive offering, the Platinum Protection plan, offers everything in the Standard and Ultimate plans and more, including higher limits and extended plumbing coverage.
    • Optional add-ons: You can customize your coverage with add-ons to take care of additional equipment, including your HVAC system, pool or roof.

Old Republic Home Protection’s contract term is usually 12 months, with 13-month and two-year plans available in some states. As of March 2021, Old Republic Home Protection provides home warranties during a real estate transaction — if interested, talk to your real estate agent.

Old Republic Home Protection coverage

Old Republic’s warranties cover the following home systems, appliances and specialty items.

Systems
    • Septic system
    • Well pump
    • Booster pump
    • Water softeners
    • Swimming pool and spa equipment
    • Solar hot water system
    • Solar pool/spa components
    • Free-standing ice maker
    • Standalone freezer

Old Republic cost

Old Republic Home Protection’s annual premiums start at $300 to $1,600 for condos and single-family homes up to 9,999 square feet and $400 to $1,900 for multiunit properties. Service fees range from $65 to $100 with an average of $75. We’ve broken down expected annual costs based on home type for Old Republic Home Protection plans in Texas below.

Home typeStandard CoverageUltimate CoveragePlatinum Coverage
    Condo/townhome/mobile home$355$465$695
    Single-family$405$510$615
    Duplex$600$750N/A
    Triplex$900$1,100N/A
    Fourplex$1,150$1,400N/A
    New construction$665$775N/A

Prices are current as of March 2021 and are subject to change. For more details, visit the Old Republic Home Protection website to see a map of where it operates. Click on your state to read a brochure that fully details plan coverage and costs.

Old Republic FAQ

Where is Old Republic available?
    Old Republic is available in Washington, D.C., and the following 27 states: Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington and Wyoming.
    Does Old Republic require a home inspection?
    No, you can get a home warranty from Old Republic without a home inspection.
    Can I cancel my Old Republic home warranty?
    Yes, you can cancel your Old Republic Home Protection home warranty. If you do, in most states you get a prorated refund, but you must also pay any service costs incurred and a processing fee.
    Does Old Republic have a service work guarantee?
    Yes. Old Republic guarantees service work for 30 days.

Is Old Republic worth it?

Old Republic Home Protection might be worth it if you’re buying or selling a home or looking for a home warranty to cover the systems and appliances in your current home. We like that the company has customizable coverage and educational resources on its website.

Old Republic Home Protection Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Old Republic Home Protection?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Jan. 28, 2023

This company is a scam. They charge you for the premium. They charge you for the trade call fees. And they hold no accountability for actually getting things done. Their contractors are worthless. They do not ever hold up their word. My downdraft stopped working. Their contractor has come once, I have called the contractor over 10 times, and Old republic over 5 times. How much time should a customer spend on calling them? On following up? Where is the professionalism? Total garbage. Save your money, and your time and mental peace.

Old Republic Home Protection response

Lokesh, I am very sorry you feel this way about our company. Our goal is to be People Helping People and if your experience was less than what you expected, we’d like to address that with you. I reached out via private message for more information. ~Aaron C.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Jan. 26, 2023

We have been without heat since end of December. I call constantly to seek update since as the customer service has relayed “many times” purchasing will complete order today. I’ve heard that since two weeks ago. Both our external and internal unit is dead. We even have a red tag on gas valve on internal system but yet ORHP still has not completed the purchase of our system. I’ve asked if it’s possible to escalate to get nothing to happen. This is beyond frustrating when your home can be impacted by frozen/busted pipes due to cold weather where we are but again no worries for ORHP.

I asked multiple times yesterday for confirmation on submission of order for the person there to say they completed the hold up because there was $15 not approved by us causing the hold up but it would be ordered. Once again I did not receive the email advising the parts/unit was ordered so looks like another weekend of no heat. Buyer beware when it’s something huge. No reason it’s gone on this long.

Old Republic Home Protection response

Anna, Thank you for your feedback. We understand your concern regarding this issue and hope to investigate the matter further. I have reached out to you via private message to resolve. ~Aaron C.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2023

I have had ORP for 17 years and I have not had one issue. It has to do with the contractors in your area. We have great ones! There was a contractor lying to them about additional service needed and they fired him immediately. I appreciate all of the services they have provided and the contractors they hire. That's where your folks in your state need to improve...hiring the best to do the work.

Over the years, I have had a new hot water heater, AC/Heat unit, condenser, dishwasher, electrical work, and making sure the right authorities are contacted to get my home up to code because it wasn't done when it was built in 1973. They have kept this old home running smoothing and the contractors have been honest. The best thing I can suggest you do, is hire your own contractor and get reimbursed. However, read your plan carefully before you do this. Thanks ORP!!

Old Republic Home Protection response

Thank you for taking the time to leave a thorough review. We look forward to serving you again in the future! ~Aaron C.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: Jan. 6, 2023

Attention! Do not give this company a penny, or use them in any way! Worst experience with a company in my lifetime and I’m not the only person whose experienced this with them. If they had negative reviews I would give it to them! This so-called home warranty came with the house when we purchased it and it’s garbage. Our dishwasher quit working and we called them over three months ago to have it repaired. Something that should’ve been an easy repair and over in a couple weeks has taken months.

A technician came over and looked at the appliance and decided it was a circuit board that was bad. After giving them all the information about the buttons on the appliance, they decided the circuitboard can’t be repaired and they would send us a check and in two weeks for a new one. But this never happened! After hearing nothing from them for three weeks, we decided to call them and see what was going on and they told us they decided they’re going to try to have the circuit board repaired after all. Even though they had our phone number and email they never decide to call us and tell us of the changes they decided on at our expense of course. So essentially we were mislead and lied too. So essentially what this company will do is diagnose the problem with your appliance, air conditioning ETC and then troubleshoot it replacing one item at a time until they hopefully fix it just so they don’t have to do the right thing and replace it.

In the meantime you're out of luck and whatever was broken is still broken while they play games with you. So now we’re back to square one with no end in sight. We asked to speak to a supervisor or get a call back on multiple occasions but nobody has called us back yet as other reviews have complained about because call backs and customer service is nonexistent. After looking at the complaints from the Better Business Bureau they have about 1036 against them already in only 2 years! And we’re filing also and there will be 1037!

Go to the Better Business Bureau and look up this company and read the reviews. Everybody is saying the same thing lack of customer service and they won’t fix anything or pay out. Their response to all the complaints is the same thing bunch of bull every time… just read them because it would be funny if it wasn’t people's lives and money we’re talking about. This company should be out of business.

But read the reviews and see what’s really going on with the company before you give them a penny. There’s even reviews on BBB reviews stating that employees have left the company because they’re garbage and a scam and don’t pay out. Do yourself a favor and go with somebody else because you’ll never see a dime or replacement from this company. They are essentially a scam they will take your money for the home warranty but never pay out afterwards

Old Republic Home Protection response

David, our intention is to provide the fastest, most efficient service possible. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you incurred. I have reached out to you via private message to resolve your concerns. ~Aaron C.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2023

I am with this company for five years, paying ~$500 every month, needed their services on the first year then after 4 years I called for Microwave issue Oct 2022, this call been back and forth for 4 months they dispatched a tech guy 3 times so far and of course charge me $85 on the first visit, they said that they offer me $270 toward buying a new microwave (it is actually 270-85=$185)or they will try to fix, I refused the money and asked them to honor their plan and fix it, every few weeks the come with a new story, parts lost in the mail, wrong item...

I bought a small microwave for our daily but the old one is connected to the fan to take the cooking smells out, and now the food odor is all around, couple times I asked to talk to a manager and the customer service refused and says my case does not need a manager. Finally someone claimed to be supervisor called and apologize for the delay without being able to put estimate for the repair, and he seems happy when he said we offered you money and you did not take it. I do not advice anyone to use this company and certainly I will not renew my plan with them

Old Republic Home Protection response

Zuhir, our intention is to provide the fastest, most efficient service possible. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you incurred. I have reached out to you via private message to resolve your concerns. ~Aaron C.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2022

Updated on 01/25/2023: I recently wrote a scathing review of Old Republic Home Protection Co. Unfortunately the agonizing saga continues. They finally agreed to replace my refrigerator but with a stainless steel one. When I asked if there weren't a matching fridge in white I was told by Purchasing that I could purchase one myself and be reimbursed up to their cost of $1014. So I now have a great new WHITE fridge from Best Buy, installed, demonstrated and with my old one hauled away. I have saved them almost $300 in the process.

Now I can't get Lindsey to call me back after three voicemails. She's the person who was assigned to help me after my review. Maybe she's not getting back to me or maybe she's out of the office, in which case no one is checking her voicemail. In either case, very unprofessional. Also... still no replacement cooktop, needed since before Thanksgiving. Not sure if the purchasing dept. is inept or lazy or both. They came up with something that won't match my four gas line stove which needed to be explained to them by Lindsey after I tried. They came back to her asking the size once again. Still no follow up on that either. Wondering whether I'll ever be reimbursed for the fridge or get a new stove. Sigh.

Original Review: Encouraged by reviews here by others, I'm writing my first one: An Old Republic diagnostician from TAC looked at my refrigerator and reported back to Old Republic that it was the drain pan. I didn't see how that could be responsible for the loud thud or leaking water and was told I could get a second opinion. The person from VOLT took the fridge apart in three places (non of which TAC did) and sent a report. I was then told they would need to verify that with another of their companies. So their 101 Repair person said he would submit that in a few days and I asked if he could do it quickly. He said my fridge would last for a while (well it started freezing my veggies) and he would get around to it.

I checked with Old Republic and no report. She said she couldn't reach the guy and would keep trying. When I asked what would happen if she couldn't reach him she said they would send someone else. When I objected she assured me she would reach him and be sure to contact me the next day. That didn't happen and it's now Saturday. This has taken weeks and I'm afraid my fridge is going to die. On another note, my cook top blew up and even though they agreed to replace that I've been without a stove since before Thanksgiving. Microwave cooking is challenging, getting old, and is expensive. I was told they were working on things from several days before my issue and it would still be a while before I receive an email with options to choose from. How do these companies stay in business?? (Well, except for Volt.)

Old Republic Home Protection response

Thank you for your comments, Marian. I am deeply concerned about the length of time this repair is taking and would like to help. I have reached out to you via private message and look forward to providing resolution. ~Aaron C.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2022

I purchased a home warranty through Old Republic at the end of 2021. During the following summer, my air conditioner broke and needed to be replaced. Old Republic said they were only cover half of the cost and charged me $3000 out of pocket and used the cheapest. I purchased a home warranty through old republic at the end of 2021. During the following summer, my air conditioner broke and needed to be replaced. Old Republic said they were only cover half of the cost and charged me $3000 out of pocket and used the worst contractors I have ever had to work with. With temperatures outside of 110°F. It took them two months to replace the air conditioner which later due to bad wiring would break again that with temperatures outside of 110°F. It took them two months to replace the air conditioner which later due to bad wiring would break again the following winter.

After that I had a pest control problem. I called old republic and told them I needed termite treatment. They assured me over the phone that I would be reimbursed and I received an email authorizing an independent out of network contractor to come in and treat the house as long as it was under $500. After said treatment, I emailed the paid invoice to them to which they said that treatment isn’t covered and I would not be getting reimbursed. So even with paying $650 for old republic's extensive warranty I ended up paying north of $4000 during the year for home maintenance.

Old Republic Home Protection response

Thank you for your review, Carson. We strive to provide service in excellence and sincerely apologize if that was not your experience. I have reached out to you via private message for further information, and look forward to assisting with your concerns. ~Aaron C.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2022

Called ORHP twice within the year of purchasing my new home. Both calls were regarding HVAC system, once for Air and second for the heat. Neither times were they able to fix the issue and gladly took my $75 service fee. Would definitely recommend not going with the Home serve protection.

Old Republic Home Protection response

Fermin, thank you for your feedback. We understand your concern regarding this issue and hope to investigate the matter further. I have reached out to you via private message for more information. ~Aaron C.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2022

I am usually not someone to leave a bad review but this whole experience has been awful. Where do I start - my plumbing issues or AC issues? I closed on my home September 16th and felt good about having a home warranty but boy was I wrong. First my bathroom flooded twice and so did my laundry room. When I tried to make a claim the first time my bathroom flooded they were not going to send someone out for 5 days. 5 days of not using the main bathroom!! I paid out of pocket (eventually reimbursed after my realtor got involved) for having plumbers come out to snake the pipes.

The third time we had a flood I tried to go through home warranty again because the expenses out of pocket were adding up. They sent someone to come take a look, these people literally showed up and I spoke to them for 5 minutes and they told me I needed hydrojetting and they do not offer it and left. That ended up being a $70 service fee call LOL so then I call ORHP and let them know I needed hydrojetting per the servicer they sent out. They told me they didn’t have anyone they could send so I could find someone on my own and they would reimburse. They made it almost impossible to actually reimburse and the poor worker from peaden was on the phone with them for an hour trying to explain the charges. It ended up being $2,000 and I only got reimbursed $1,200 - the service call charge! So I still ended up paying more out of pocket.

Now let’s talk about my AC. My Ac unit was too small and would not cool one side of my house (which has my living room, kitchen, laundry room, and office). I had 3 people come out for quotes and 1 of them was sent through ORHP. They all said the duct work was incorrect and the AC unit was too small and being overworked. The ORHP rep said she believes that this would be covered and to go ahead and submit a claim. I then had someone who worked directly in the HVAC department call me and tell me nothing would be covered. At this point I already had the claim and had someone being sent out to look at it. I had no choice but to move forward and get the duct work replaced and a new AC unit and now left completely broke and trying to figure out how to pay for everything with the mortgage and AC and plumbing issues that were unexpected.

My realtor again reached out and spoke to Nicole and explained the situation. Nicole called me and was so nice and said that she will look into all of this and will try to see if something can be done & get a reimbursement for the AC. I sent in all my invoices (it took me a minute to get them all) and now it’s been over a month and I have not heard back from her at all!!!! I’ve left countless of follow up phone calls and emails. I had someone on her team Todd’s assistant (after I reached out and tried to find someone to help me) contact me and let me know she sees my emails but she can’t help me because Nicole is the one working my file and she let me know Nicole is back in office and should be getting back to me soon. Well that’s been almost 2 weeks ago now.

I’m tired of being ignored this is a serious issue, I’m out over 14k and honestly wasn’t even expecting anything because that’s just my luck but I finally had a glimpse of hope when Nicole called me but the only thing I got was something else to let me down. So if anyone is reading this please do yourself a favor and do not waste the money paying for a home warranty because at the end of the day you will still pay for everything out of pocket so you’ll be out those expense + the home warranty expense. Oh PS they are still trying to send me an invoice for the service fee for the AC. So funny that no one can return my call but y’all are quick to send an invoice for something your servicer didn’t even repair. You will get your money when I get reimbursed or better yet the decency of a return phone call or email!

Old Republic Home Protection response

Thank you for your review, Jessica. At Old Republic, we know it is important to address service concerns and provide solutions. We will reach out to assist. ~Aaron C.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2022

After buying our first house, ORHP was recommended to us by our realtor. A month after the purchase, we realized our main sewer line was cracked and reached out to have a plumber come over. The in-network provider ORHP sent walked away immediately on us, pretending that (permitted) construction we were doing on the opposite side of the house was the reason for the crack, even though it was nowhere near the sewer line. As we were in a bit of a rush, we reached out to an out-of-network provider who came over and promptly fixed the problem.

From that point, it was a long struggle to get ORHP to cover the costs, with ORHP doing their best to stall until we give up, going as far as asking for the most ridiculous details like the amount of gaskets used (it was a cast iron sewer line that was several feet long, and labor was 70% of the cost, how are a handful gasket going to matter? I still wonder). Clearly the point was to run us - and our plumber - out of patience. But we held on. And eventually, after EIGHT MONTHS, dozens of calls, and hours spent listening to their awful wait music, they finally came through and covered a little bit over 50% of the total we paid. We decided to take the money since it was a take it or leave it offer.

We reached out to ORHP for another plumbing issue, this time with one of our toilets, the flange was broken, causing the toilet to rock. They tried to send the same plumbing company which I refused, then sent another in-network contractor who decided the flange was fine (without looking at it, some kind of plumber super power if you ask me) but the floor wasn't level and that was it. Thank you, $75 for doing nothing, cool job you got there.

Calling ORHP, they send yet another (third!) plumber, who immediately decides the flange is fine (again, without looking at it, it's either Superman-level vision or some kind of witchcraft) and that the problem is the floor, then walks away. Both times, I was charged the Trade Call Fee even though zero service was rendered. Again, I reach out to an out-of-network provider, who comes over, takes out the toilet (the BARE MINIMUM that the others should have done) and sure enough, the flange is old and corroded, one of the screws is completely broken, and after replacing the flange the toilet is fine.

Of course I was never refunded the two Trade Call Fees I paid for no service - even though the plan details do say that when service is denied, a TCF is not owed. See, the trick is that the plumbers did notify ORHP that they provided a service, which was literally to come over to our house and then walk away without doing anything else. So in ORHP's perspective, since they ensure that their in-network providers are the absolute worst in the business, service was rendered.

We used ORHP on two other occasions when the people they sent were (miraculously) good. We were mixed on renewing the service, knowing that their list of on-network plumbers was garbage, but thought that since they came around we'd renew the plan and would just avoid using ORHP for anything plumbing-related. Turns out that ORHP did not like that they had to do their job as they decided by themselves they did not want us to renew. Sore losers, imagine that. Avoid this company at all costs.

Old Republic Home Protection response

Benjamin, the situation you’ve described is concerning to me. We expect the independent Service Providers to provide a complete diagnosis. I have reached out to you via private message to get more information. Thank you for your comments. ~Aaron C.

Take a Home Warranty Quiz. Get matched with an Authorized Partner.

Old Republic Home Protection Company Information