Old Republic Home Protection

Compare Home Warranties, Service Plans

Research top Home Warranties, Service Plans recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

First of all it took a few telephone calls before I got any response from service providers; then it took almost a week before they showed up, then nothing happened. I had to contact ORHP to find out that nothing will be done. I don't understand how ORHP can have an A+ rating when they have a 91% Negative rating and almost 1000 complaints. As far as their home warranty it's the worst.

My real estate agent got it for us when we purchased our home. We've had two service providers out for our old hot water heater which needs to be replaced. Neither one told us anything but left a barely legible work order. Because they said the water heater works, we were told there is no repair or replacement unless there is complete failure. WHAT!?! So basically, this warranty is useless. Not to mention, I also received a bill for $65 for absolutely nothing but a guy looking at our water heater who told us we didn't have to pay because no work was done. If I had paid for this protection I would definitely be requesting a refund.

I have dealt with several Home Warranty companies and Old Republic is the worst one in the Kansas City area. They use junk 3rd party vendors... that either don't show up, don't respond for days, if they do show up they refuse to do the work, or they don't know how to do the work. They say they are told to say the warranty doesn't cover the repairs and you can spend weeks trying to get a repair made. They because their vendor doesn't show up when it is 5 below zero to fix a heater... They tell you can "hire" someone else, but after you send them all of the books of documentation they require... they send out what they say they will pay the owner back. It is pennies on the dollar... and never refund close to the cost the owner has incurred.

The vendors have said that since Old Republic pays them so little... it always goes to the bottom of the stack. It will be the last work they do!!! One of my owners was 6 weeks getting them to look at an AC leak, and had to send 3 different vendors out and the first 2 refused to do the repair. I have had one owner tell me that she is so frustrated with them that she refuses to even call them, because they either no showed, couldn't diagnose the problem, or always said it wasn't covered under the warranty.

I spent hours on the phone with different supervisors, they would tell me to call them back at a certain phone extension. When I would call back if you hit that extension it would automatically hang up. The customer service is the worst and when you call Janell ** the Old Republic rep in Kansas City... she acts shocked like she has never heard a complaint about Old Republic nor their vendors. I don't have time to go into all the issues that I have encountered with OLD REPUBLIC, BUT I REFUSE TO EVER ALLOW AN OLD REPUBLIC WARRANTY TO BE WRITTEN ON ANY HOUSE I SELL.

We realized the hot water in our new house has a brownish hue to it, and the water heater constantly makes a popping noise. These are symptoms of residue and buildup in a water heater, which needs to be cleaned out. Per ORHP, they will address issues (even if they are due to poor maintenance) for a new house where the issue wasn't caught during inspection.

So, we opened a ticket with ORHP. They sent a plumber who came over for 5 minutes to tell us that if there's hot water and no leaks, he can't do anything (never mind the fact that the water is brown). He told us that instead, we need to flush the water heater 6 times a day until the residue is gone. I guess they expect I'll just put the rest of my life on hold to take care of this water heater. Presumably to rub salt in the wound, ORHP then proceeded to charge us for the useless service call. Extremely disappointed. I will never recommend this company to anyone and I will be changing companies as soon as the current warranty period is up.

I have had two bad experiences with Old Republic. First, a plumber came, which was arranged for by Old Republic, to clear out a drain stoppage. The plumber looked under the sink and said that since they would have to take apart some piping to access the drain to snake it, they would have to charge me extra. I called Old Republic and they said something along the lines of, "well, if they have to take apart some pipes under the sink, we don't cover that and you (I) will have to pay the plumber extra for that". I checked closer and noted that there was in fact a capped end of a pipe which could be opened up to access the drain without undoing all the pipes under the sink. The plumber was able to do the job and not charge me extra. However, had I not taken the initiative to investigate on my own, Old Republic was more than happy to let the plumber charge me more.

On a second occasion, we had a toilet that was leaking at its base. Old Republic got a plumber to come out and fix it. The plumber moved the toilet back forcefully then left to make a phone call. He returned to say that Old Republic would not cover the service because the seat had been installed incorrectly. He explained that since there was a slight play (he could slightly move the seat (toilet) when he pushed and pulled on it), it meant that the installation had not been done correctly in the first place and thus it was not covered.

He then said I had to pay the $65 copayment in any event and then generously offered (according to him Old Republic had authorized the amount he offered) to do it for an additional $240.00 on top of the $65.00 for a total of $305. I told him thanks but no thanks and got our skilled handyman to come and do it for much less. I asked him if he had noted any problem with the original installation and he said it was just fine (it was toilet installed by the builder). So, Old Republic was just fine with having this plumber charge me a total of $305.00 for a 1 hour job (it took the handyman 50 minutes to do the job).

I contacted Old Republic (big mistake) to explain that the person I had do the work had told me that the initial installation was just fine and that wax seal frequently just fail on their own, which is what happened. Old Republic asked that the handyman call them and that they would consider what he had to say (to return my $65.00 copayment) if the repairman was certified. Well, you guessed it, I got nowhere because the repairman I used was not certified. Look elsewhere for a more customer friendly and caring provider.

ORHP was set up at closing in August 2016 by my realtor who told me they had had good results with ORHP. My experience has been the mirror image of the other dissatisfied customers on this page. Now I am paying a fortune to have my furnace fixed because it is one month before the manufacture's parts warranty expires. Note it is a "parts warranty" nothing more but ORHP takes the position that it, ORPH, is exempted under the policy because the unit has an existing "warranty". Such a scam--there needs to be a class action lawsuit filed against ORHP.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Old Republic Home Protection?

Wow, this home warranty is useless! We just moved into a home and the water heater went out. ORHP sent someone, we paid the person $65, and since there is a month remaining on the warranty (a warranty which does not replace the broken water heater, by the way), ORHP will not do anything. So now I can pay for a new hot water heater, which will then have a warranty--which will then NOT be covered by the ORHP warranty--Catch 22 anyone?

They do not clearly publicize this exception--in fact, the nice clean brochure says nothing about exceptions...of course, they have lawyers, so I am certain that it is printed somewhere. Fear not, awful people at ORHP, you are legally safe--if ethically corrupt! The worst thing is that the service on the phone was atrocious. I would have been pleased with even a modicum of human kindness or professionalism; instead, I think they hired someone and trained him to be as rude, unkind, argumentative, and unhelpful as possible. CUSTOMER SERVICE is not the strength of this company--and neither is providing a home warranty...so they will surely not get my business after this year is up.

My realtor gave me this warranty. I had them come for my shower because the temperature would not regulate. They sent plumbers who broke my master shower so that it did not work at all. When I called to have them pay they would not. They told me it was not covered after they sent the plumbers who broke it. Over $600 out of my pocket. When I called for them to be accountable they would not return my call. Don't use them if you expect to get anything done. Use another company.

They lie and tell you that you can use the policy same day that you buy it. Michael ** took my order and told me the policy starts that same day. That late afternoon there was water that started to come through our ceiling through one of our downstairs bathrooms. I called for services and they said they would not come out because it was on the same day. There was no leak or water at the time I called, but because it was the same day they would not come. They said Michael was wrong.

Now I just called about a completely different bathroom and they said they would not come out. Then Marisol in accounting stated that I had to send another cancellation letter, even though I had sent one. She also lied and said it did not say anything about cancelling. I told her to read me the email I sent and she stated she did not have it. I asked her then how she could tell me that I did not state I wanted to cancel. Then she said "no problem, we will cancel you". So they just lie whenever they feel like it.

Most frustrating trying to get service or any repair expenses covered. So far no success, not even worth the time to call them. We have stayed on several occasions with no heat in minus temperatures or no hot water, their technicians do not even bother to call once they get the work order. Total scam! I am going to forget they even exist!

I called to report I had a crack in the glass oven door. I asked if it was covered as I said I don't see any exclusion in the warranty. They said it was covered and sent out a repairman within the hour. The man wanted the $75 upfront but he would have to talk to Old Republic first. Then the story changed. It wasn't COVERED but I could just have home fix it for $160. I was OK with that until I just received a bill for the $75 for the service call from Old Republic for doing NOTHING BUT REJECTING MY CLAIM! I'm mad, I'm arguing with them on the phone! They say "READ YOUR CONTRACT" because even if they reject your claim and don't fix... You still owe them the fee!!! Stay away from this company! I think my next step is to report them to the Consumer Watch on TV!!! Waste of money!!!

We purchased an Old Republic Home Warranty as part of a residential real estate purchase in 2014 and renewed the contract in 2015. On November 22, 2016 our furnace was not working so we called Old Republic. This was 2 days before Thanksgiving. The first contractor called and said he was a one man operation and could not respond for several days and suggested we request reassignment to another contractor and request priority service due to young children in the home.

We called Old Republic with this request. The second contractor promised to be there Friday and said they did not have the priority request. They finally showed on Saturday, inspected the unit and sent their findings to Old Republic. This contractor made 3 additional trips, trying to fix one item at a time but without success. They abandoned our job by not showing up on Day 4, although they set an appointment with us.

Old Republic assigned Contractor #3 who assessed the problem and advised Old Republic. Old Republic responded that they found that we had a Manufacturer's Extended Warranty with American Standard/Trane which was still in effect. We did not know this as no one advised us of this during the property purchase. Old Republic said they could not respond since there was still Manufacturer's Warranty Coverage in place. We then ended up dealing directly with the manufacturer's local dealer/distributor who ultimately fixed our unit.

In our view, Old Republic's contractor selection leaves a lot to be desired and Old Republic's service does not meet minimum standards expected. When our coverage renews we will show more diligently and will be replacing Old Republic with a more highly rate company as there are many with better records than Old Republic.

First off, the customer service of the customer service was great. Although I was frustrated each time (5 times) they were professional. I called Old Republic because a month after I moved in my home my AC unit upstairs started to leaking. I called and they sent a technician out within 72 hours. I spoke with the technician and asked if he could call me when he was on his way because I was at work which was 10 minutes away. He called me and by the time I got to my home he claim he was already done. He claimed it was clogged and tried to charge me $100 for trade fee when my contract stated $75. He did not give me a receipt and claimed he would email it to me.

I never received my receipt (now going on 7 months or the report I asked for), but I did receive a phone call stating it would cost me 400 to replace the drip pan due to rust. He never took a look at it! He just repeated what I ask about the pan being rusted. I have a dog and would have had to put my dog outside had he entered my house. He lied! So they sent a second technician out. He said he would return with some blocks to raise my unit. Two week later I called to find out the status and they tell me he no longer work for them. So they sent a 3rd technician. This man went above and beyond and checked EVERYTHING. He did a superb job.

I called Old Republic again to get a receipt and report and was told I could get a report, but would send me the receipt. A month go by and I get a call from the rep to make sure the job was done. I explain everything I am typing now and she said she would send me a receipt and report via email. Like I said, six month later, nothing! I received a call today, but missed the call. I called them back, but to ask about my microwave to see if it was under warranty. The rep stated she could not access my records due to non payment of the trade fee! I was livid. I've been begging for a receipt, but now they tell me my account was cancelled because they had no proof I paid (I paid cash which is why I wanted a receipt in the first place).

Long story short, she found the notes where I paid. How do you cancel an account without first warning or notifying the customer??? I was told to call the technician to get my receipt and report, even though he initially told me he couldn't provide one. So I am back at square one. This all happened in Jul 9, 2016. It is now Jan 16, 2017 and I still don't have a receipt or report as to what was done to my AC unit. This whole situation has been a nightmare.

I've had this "warranty" for 3 years. I have made a total of 8 service calls & only 1 resulted in a service being completed that was covered by the policy. It took 4 different plumbers to finally fix a leak in my bathroom. All 4 charged me the $60 trip charge & then within 5 minutes - explained what was causing the leak & how it's not covered by the warranty. One charged me an additional $70 to change a toilet seal, another $49 to caulk the shower stall & the third charged me $55 to replace the cold water handle on the tub. The 4th guy was actually honest & repaired the leak. Because it was a slow leak & I painted the ceiling after every "fix"- it took months to determine that it was still leaking. Old Republic did NOTHING but send out another con man every time I called.

Bottom line - a $200 plumbing repair cost me $240 in trip charges, $211 in false charges plus the cost of my warranty. I would have saved more than $850 to have no warranty & just call a highly reviewed plumber. DO NOT buy a warranty from these con men. This is nothing but a scam to send out crooked contractors to rip you off. In the end, it will be CHEAPER & EASIER to simply call a service provider on your own.

Home insurance Customer service is horrible. They have bad attitude even if the customer is right. I had my AC go out on my home. I just bought this insurance, was the insurance that initially was assigned, we accepted it and discovered soon after that our AC was faulty after only living in our home for a month. We contacted Old Republic as they were our insurance co at the time. They sent out a company and the tech stated it was the thermostat and was going to put in a authorization request. It took two weeks for me to get the approval of a thermostat and that was with me calling them every day.

When the same tech came back he tried the very very non-comparable cheap thermostat and came to the conclusion he was wrong that it might be the wiring and he would have to come back since he did not have the particular cable. He had already put my nice thermostat I had he claimed was faulty in his truck. I had to ask for it. I called in because at that time the temps had peaked 105 in southern California. I mentioned I needed the repair to be done quicker. They booked me for 2 weeks out. The next technician that came stated it was not the thermostat but the main board on the unit in my attic. When he left my attic entrance was filthy and cracked. It took 2 and a half weeks to get the company to approve and schedule and appt.

I was already upset at the rudeness level Old Republic had given me over the phone. They decided to send over a third company with the new main board and that tech stated it would be good to go. A week went by and water started to come down from the filter area on to my then wood floor. They stated they would send someone over to check on it that took about a week.

At this point it had been about 2 or so months and still no AC. Heat was very bad indoors with kids at the house. It took 11 months to fix my AC. They sent over maybe one guy that was professional. The others had poor attitude so much so I neglected to have a specific contractor come back to my house. To top it off they sent me a trip charge after I already paid one trip charge. Their response to this was I was one day over the grace period of 30 days from when the tech came to my house.

DO NOT USE OLD REPUBLIC if they have them assigned to you by your realtor do not accept them. I believe that customer satisfaction is key to a successful company. I am surprised with all the negative reviews that this company is still in business.and values and this company as a whole hires contractors that claim to be senior level but are only guessing the true problem instead of really knowing what the true problem is.

This home warranty place Old Republic is the worst thing to ever purchase. They are a scam. No matter what goes wrong they always have excuse and say it was installed improperly or man-made incident. Are they a professional in home building? NO just in **, but at the end of the day they have the ruling on if they are going to replaces it or not. In the simplest words they use A excuse every time (not installed properly) no matter who says it was or wasn't but they are a giant waste of money and never replaced anything. They always have an excuse and the customer service is very rude Even (Gloria works out of the Sparks, Nevada Department). She is the rudest person. I've never been spoken to that way before. A very mean person. I don't know if you can call her a person.

If I could select less than one star I would. I requested service on 3 claims. I paid for a representative to come out each time. And all three claims were denied. The last claim was for a broken air conditioner. I told them it was blowing, but not cold air. The service rep came out, checked that it was blowing air, and then said it was not covered unless it was not blowing. I was then charged the service fee. I tried to avoid paying the service fee, indicating that he should not have come out when I had already let them know the problem, so they tried to send it to collections.

I begrudgingly paid the service fee, and immediately researched quality home protection programs and found one with a good rating. I fell into service with Old Republic through my realtor, who since has had an earful from me, as well as received a bad review. I am disgusted with this money grabbing corporation, who has taken my money and provided me no support for my broken household items. This company is a total sham.

We live in a smaller community (350,000), so repair companies are quick to respond and very personable... most know or have heard of local service providers. Word of mouth recommendations are common. Our microwave went out on a Thurs. Before we had Old Republic, I would have been able to get a repair person here the same day I called, next day at the latest. Now that I have Old Republic, they claim their repair providers will make contact the schedule the service call "within 24 hours in most cases". After 24 hours of no contact, I called the repair company and left a message, same the following day. No return call. I contacted Old Republic and was told they only had one other option and that company is located 2 hours away. I called them and the earliest they can come out is nearly 3 days from today. By the time I get someone here to determine the problem, a full week will have passed.

I do not recommend working with Old Republic if you live in a smaller community. It is impossible to get a list of service providers by area, which probably means their service provider list is small in smaller communities. At any rate, any company that won't disclose and give you the option of choice among service providers, isn't worth the time and money. Not happy at the lack of initiative to provide service.

Called Old Republic and initiated a service call for a commode leak. After 24 hours no response from a plumber in their network. Found a local plumber to do repair. The leak was in the plumbing below the commode. Presented repair estimate for repair. Old Republic would not pay for removing and replacing the commode. Repairs COULD NOT be performed without removing the commode. Cost me another $50 for removal and reinstalling commode.

This warranty is as close to a scam as you can imagine. As you've seen in other reviews, the process is very simple. You pay anywhere from $500 to several thousand dollars for your "warranty". You pay a $65 "co-pay" for any service call... which essentially means YOU PAY FOR THE SERVICE CALL. $65 isn't a co-pay. That's more than what it costs for a normal service call on your own. If they can't fix it, and need to replace any parts, ORHP will ALWAYS seem to come up with some excuse for denying coverage. If you read their fine print, you'll see they've indemnified themselves so deeply, they effectively don't have to provide service for anything that they ostensibly should. And by default, if you purchase their coverage, you waive your right to pursue any legal recourse... very clever on their part.

The warranty protection seems to be a shill, because if any issue you have will cost them money, they simply won't cover it. They will find some convoluted way to claim that your equipment failure is a result of "secondary damage", and is not covered. In our case, our old-as-dirt pool pump began leaking. Because of cavitation in the line, the pump heated up, began to warp, exacerbating the leaks, effectively rendering the pump non-functional. Pretty straightforward, right? It's an old pump and should be replaced! Wrong. The heat warping is considered "secondary damage" by ORHP, ignoring the fact that the FAILING pump caused the heat damage in the first place! Which is to say, they're claiming the symptom was the CAUSE. This is ridiculous. There wasn't a fire. Nobody held a magnifying glass to it. The thing was old and gave up the ghost.

Of course, when speaking to them over the phone, if you contest them or in any way press them to do their stated job, they get nasty and defensive. If you request a copy of the contractor's report on your property, they claim that it's confidential and you may not have access to it. If you call the contractor, they'll claim the same thing. When you ask how anyone can provide any oversight or accountability to make sure that everyone's operating in good faith, they get nasty and point you towards their "glowing" reviews... Well as you may have noticed, they get TERRIBLE reviews. When we checked the reviews of the pool contractor they sent to us, they had amazing reviews, except for a handful of 1-star reviews... and wouldn't you know it... they were ALL ORHP referrals. All having similar complaints. ORHP acting like slimy weasels avoiding responsibility at all costs.

This warranty coverage is a joke. In my mind, it's worthless. They apparently will not pay out on anything. Even if they were to pay out anything, their coverage limits are so low, you'll max out quickly and start paying out of pocket right out of the gates. Furthermore, in their fine print, they've covered their rears in regards to replacing old equipment... If you happen to buy a house with an old heater that isn't manufactured or sold anymore, you're out of luck. It's not their "responsibility" to upgrade you simply because your equivalent equipment doesn't exist anymore. A service call fee from them is $65. A service call fee from Leslie's is $29. You end up paying for ANYTHING that needs to get fixed or replaced anyway, so save your money. You're better off just hiring your own technicians, independently.

DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS WARRANTY. It's absolutely worthless. Save the $1K and use it towards repairs on your own. Good luck getting them to replace ANYTHING. We are advising our realtors to stop pushing this on our clients. We are very dissatisfied with this service and we feel like we got scammed into wasting our money on something that SOUNDS like a good idea, but is effectively worthless. Pay attention to all these negative reviews... there's a reason for them. Just like everyone else, the only reason I gave them one star is because there's no option to give negative stars. If you have this warranty, you should try to cancel your policy and get a prorated refund.

I suspect the Old Republic trains their employees to be rude. If you are not satisfied with their service or have further questions, they just tell you to shut up and live with it. They have shouted at me several times when I tried to find out more information about my services. Their goal is not to serve their customers, but to get your money and stop you from bothering them. It seriously affects my mood every time I called them, so I am almost afraid of calling them now. I think this might be what they want.

There was once a plumber came to my house, took a look at the things I have told them on phone, and told me he didn't have any time to fix anything for me on that day, because he had 10 more appointments lined up after 3 pm, although the woman who scheduled his visit told me she would not schedule anything else for him after my appointment, because I had many things to be repaired. The worst part was I had to pay $60 for that visit.

I called the Old Republic, and they just said they had no way of knowing what a plumber or any worker would do on any visit, so I just got to pay them every time. When I asked further why he had to look at the things I had told them on phone already, and if there is anything I could do in the future to prevent paying for someone without having them fix anything for me, the woman on the phone was like no, and yelled at me to stop asking her any other question. If you don't want to end up paying more than hiring someone yourself, and getting mentally abused, I strongly recommend not to use the Old Republic. They are the worst ever customer service. In fact, I don't know how they exist for so long.

Consumer Increased Rating!

When I first called ORHW representatives yesterday I was NOT happy with their response. They basically told me they had no one available to do repairs in my area. That I'd have to find someone on my own and go through 10 steps to line up the work and get it approved and I may or may not be reimbursed -- less the service fee! So I researched online and found a few numbers to call--- all of them closed that late at night. I called my realtor and told him these ORHP guys are bozos and to stop recommending them and I went online and wrote a low review! Then this morning before I could make a single call out to contractors, I received a call from Rob's Appliance repair, telling me ORHW had contacted him yesterday to do the repairs. He was here 10 minutes later, fixed my stove and I paid him the service fee. Not sure why there's a disconnect between the call center and actual service but THAT is how a home warranty is supposed to work.

Amy B Cody of Okc, OK on

Original Review

I bought my home in Nov and at the recommendation of realtor, got an Old Republic Home Protection plan included at closing. Less than one month later, the top burners of my electric stove stopped working overnight. After reading policy, determining the problem should be covered, I called ORHP and got a total run around. They're going to charge me $100 service fee for providing a contractor. But they don't have any contractors in the area. I'm to find one who can do the work for under $100 and send them the invoice along with $100 and they keep the overage.

If it's over $100, I'll have to call back to get it approved prior to getting the work done, then I am to pay contractor and send them the invoice and they'll reimburse all but $100. Why are they getting $100 for doing NOTHING? They couldn't even provide a list of people in the area. TOTAL RIP OFF. I'm letting my realtor know that these guys are hurting his reputation and he'd best stop recommending them.

My a/c unit quit the day before Thanksgiving. Called Old Republic to facilitate a repair. No service techs in their network would respond. Was told to find my own repair service and I would be reimbursed. Called a repair company to do the work. Got an authorization #. Paid the repair company their fee and then sent copy of invoice to Old Republic requesting payment. Got check today less a $75 trades call fee. My cost was $265 refund was $190. I found the contractor and made arrangements for the repair. Called Old Republic to advise that they owed me the $75 they had withheld. They did not provide a service repair co. I don't agree that I owe a trades call fee. Talked to Ruben at the old republic auth office. NOT HELPFUL.

I just recently bought a home in the Palm Springs area. I have put in several claims finding that things around the home are not working properly. Each and every claim Old Republic has found a reason why not to replace, repair or handle the claim. I have even had claims turned down and no repair person has come out at all. Each time I call them I am either left on hold or given the run around. I would never recommend this company to anyone...

Our refrigerator died two days before having a house full of guests at Thanksgiving. My wife had just finished shopping and immediately hit panic mode. I made the call to ORHP, expecting a nightmare. The service rep was super friendly. She searched and found a contractor who could come out that afternoon! What? I was not expecting that. The service technician was friendly and knowledgeable. He said he had to order a control board or something like that. In the meantime, I dumped the contents of our fridge into coolers with ice. The contractor returned the next morning with the needed part and our fridge was repaired. Start to finish, less than 24 hours. I was impressed.

I live in Florida and about a month after my family moved in our home we had a cold spell and had to use our heater. It worked for maybe 30 seconds before the Air Handler circuit breaker would pop. I was thankful that I remembered we got a home warranty and not to stress over it. I contacted ORHP the next day. They gave me a name of a contractor that would be coming out. After 2 missed appointments and taking time off work this contractor finally showed up. The technician walked in the door and looked at the circuit breaker and said it's the wrong size amperage. How did the previous owner heat the house???

I also told him the airflow coming from the vents is weak. He ignored me and said there was nothing wrong with them. (I wrote a negative review on yelp for them too.) The contractor said I could expect a call from ORHP and they would send an electrician out. After several days they still didn't contact me. I reached out to ORHP. Long story short they said they wouldn't cover it because it was installed wrong. No wonder why this company has a one star review. Their coverage is absolutely useless. I made the recommended my realtor to pick another company.

Old Republic sent a local repair company (a $100 deductible cost to me) to see the issue with my refrigerator which was covered by their policy. The repair company informed me they would not give me a new refrigerator but would order parts to repair. I understood if they could repair the refrigerator, it made business sense not to replace with a new one. Well 2 weeks later with no response I called Old Republic in California. They informed me one of the parts was back ordered. After two more weeks went by they said they would send another repair company who would take the parts out of the refrigerator and send them out for repair. At this time I again asked them to do the right thing and replace the refrigerator as they had no timeline when and how long before the part would be in.

Well the second repair company did not show up. Another phone call to Old Republic. They said they would buy me a small college dorm refrigerator and refund my $100 deductible. After approximately 6 weeks and still no working refrigerator and no repair part likely coming in the foreseeable future, I agreed to take a settlement of $425 which they said was the cost of the repair. I understand a repair is always better financially than replacing with a new appliance. But a reputable business company after a reasonable time should do the right thing for the consumer. Waiting more than 6 weeks without a refrigerator and no guarantee repair date they forced me into a settlement. A like replacement refrigerator was $2300.

My wife and I purchased a four-year-old property and as part of that transaction purchased an Old Republic Home Protection Plan. We have to date had need to call for service twice once regarding water pressure that could not be corrected and most recently regarding our water heater. The following is regarding the most recent call and should be a HUGE WATCH OUT for all new to nearly new homes. I called ORHP on Saturday morning when we first noticed the issue (no hot water). They dispatched the work order to a company that does not work on Saturday. I called ORHP to report the service availability and I was referred to a different provider. To my surprise, the second provider did not work on Saturday either. After a third call to ORHP, I was given approval to call an independent provider who came out immediately.

The technician "Radiant Plumbing" was timely, thorough, and professional as he determined that the "Gas Control Valve" was not functioning correctly and required replacement. We called ORHP with the assessment and discovered that "because the part that failed was COVERED BY A MANUFACTURERS WARRANTY... ORHP WOULD NOT COVER ANY CLAIM BEYOND THE INITIAL ASSESSMENT". After some research and many many calls to ORHP, they are committed to their statement of not covering anything that is covered by a mfg warranty.

This statement contradicts their website and the very answers to their FAQ's. Why would anyone that know this buy an Old Republic Home Protection Policy. I want to bring this awareness to everyone who buys a new or nearly new home to AVOID OLD REPUBLIC HOME PROTECTION as a home warranty source. DON'T DO IT!!! DEEPLY DISAPPOINTED IN CENTRAL TEXAS.

We recently purchase a home in North Myrtle Beach, SC. At the Seller's choosing the Seller purchased a home warranty plan for our benefit. Within days of closing on our home we found that the dishwasher would not drain and contacted ORHP. The agent told us that our plan had not been issued and the plan under which the seller purchased was not effective for our use at that time.

After much complaint on my part we were finally given a claim number. A few days later we were contacted by ORHP and told that they did not have an authorized service contractor in our area and we would have to find one on our own. We were also told that if ORHP approve of the work and written estimate that ORHP would reimburse us up to $60 for the service call. As it turned out the Seller's recent installation of a garbage disposable was what was causing our problem; hence, we were not covered.

Within a month we discovered that we had two roof leaks. Again, we contacted ORHP to submit a service request. Again, ORHP did not have an authorized service provider in our area and we would have to find one on our own. Lo and behold, same result. Our claim was denied because ORHP roof coverage does not cover flanges or flange pipe connectors. And, because the claim is not covered the service charge will not be reimbursed. Recently our new air handling unit stopped working. We will not contact ORHP. We are saving ourselves the time, the frustration and the extreme anger with this company.

Like many people we received a year of ORHW coverage when we purchased our home a year ago - and like many people we did NOT renew our warranty with Old Republic after the year expired. They seem to specialize in contracting the work out to individuals who will do shotty work or find a way to not do the work at all.

The first time we called it was for backed up pipes - they sent out a plumber who decided it was "probably roots" without scoping the pipes or anything... because he reported to ORHW that it was (again I quote) "probably pipes" they would not send out any other plumbers. Same thing happened with a 28 year old fridge that was leaking water - the appliance guy said we "could have mold because of it" and now of course we can't get a new fridge installed until we pay to prove we don't have a mold problem. If you have ORHW expect loopholes and contradictions with loads of frustration. Save yourself the sanity and the $$$ by going with a more reputable company.

The worst home insurance company I have ever dealt with. I had an issue with a microwave door. They denied the claim that it's not normal use issue (break). It's a 13-year microwave, what do they expect? IT'S PLASTIC. The customer service was very rude and spoke very demeaningly like I did something wrong spoke to supervisor Jason **, he was also very rude. I would never recommend this company. SAVE your money because when you'll need insurance they won't help.

Compare Home Warranties, Service Plans