Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes
1.30/5

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Old Republic Home Protection Reviews

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

I called them regarding our water heater not heating water, they sent out a plumber that afternoon & he said the water heater wasn’t working properly, yes I know this. So he said it’s the heating elements, ok so now what? He said he would change them out real quick, so after dragging our water hose into our home & draining the water heater, he changed them out, still no hot water, now a small amount of Luke warm for about 2 min. Ok he will be back tomorrow - why? So I phoned Old Republic again & told them what he said, so they called him & asked him what was the issue & he said he had no clue!

So old republic called me back within minutes & said they’re sending someone else, next day new plumber showed up & he said it was the heating elements & it couldn’t be repaired. So he informs me that our water heater wasn’t up to code, after he asked me how long had we owned our home & I informed him that his question had nothing to do with the water heater & I wasn’t sharing any info besides the water heater issue. So he tells me again the water heater wasn’t up to code & that he’d need to run all new lines & pipe, how much are we talking? He tells me it’s $1300 & old republic won’t cover but $600-$800 of it & I can pay him cash for the difference! So I tell him I’d need to discuss this w/ my husband & he leaves, he calls me 2.5 hrs later to see if we made a decision!!!

I call old republic the next morning (had to wait for them to receive the outcome from him), they tell me that they will cover labor & a new water heater but nothing else, okay we aren’t going to use the plumbers they’ve sent out & they said they could mail me a check to cover the labor & new water heater, okay let’s do that! I received the check within 6 days & we called a local plumber & he did the work of replacing our water heater & he told us that every was in code, which we already knew since we’d had a home inspection completed 12 months earlier! Old republic was great! No complaints this time. My dryer went out & I called old republic & was told it wasn’t covered, Okay well at least dryers aren’t over the top expensive.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

I have been working with 9 different home warranties as a contractor and also as a home owner before and I can state based on my experiences that Old Republic do all the effort to serve as better as possible the homeowners to address the different issues. I understand there are some frustrated homeowners who open a new home warranty and want next day to address the problem and also to replace appliances and AC units or even full bundle system of HVAC but as I can see ORHP do the best effort to do the repair or replacement in the best way.

I have been in the business with home warranties as a holder of 6 licenses in California state and I am happy to work with them and I can tell in the probably 500 customers we attend per year I know we resolve completely the problems in the best manner with 490. The other 10 were not covered because type of repair is not cover for the insurance... For example a customer calls because no power in the microwave but we found is an overload cause one simple 15 amps breaker is working the whole kitchen and it trips often. That's an overload and is a problem for no proper wiring and needs to add additional circuits.

Anyway I can talk what is the worst home warranty or evaluate each one also but my intention is talk in favour of a company who treats in the best way to the customers, do the best effort and try the best to all of them. I can state that as a contractor and I am still working with other home warranties but I can say with no doubt Old Republic is the best.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

I just purchased a house and have Old Republic home warranty protection. I had to call Old Republic due to issues with 1 of my tankless water heaters. They couldn't get someone out here for a few days so said I could call someone myself and they would reimburse me or wait a few days for them to send someone out. The plumber came out, "Diagnosed" the problem and installed the parts. I called Old Republic later the same day to let them know the issue was NOT fixed and they said they would send the plumber back out and I would not have to pay the service call fee because it's the same issue.

The plumbers now are saying I need to modify my gas line going to the water heater and it is not in code. Old Republic is covering to have this fixed but there are non-covered cost for the gas line outside the house. Old Republic has been going back and forth with plumbers on the non-covered cost and trying to figure out why it is so high. Got tired of waiting for the plumbers and told Old Republic we would take the pay out so we can fix it ourselves (The Plumbing Co they use is known around town for doing ** work). My only complaint is the amount of time it's taking to get the checks. It's been 2 weeks and still nothing.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

We received this product when we purchased the home and have had nothing but good results from their service and promptness. While they don't Replace everything with top of the line equipment, there is an option for us to upgrade if desired. They provide builder quality replacements. Which is what we had!

We have renewed and will continue to renew!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2019

It's amazing how nothing is covered that needs to be fixed. Do not get a false sense of security that your home issues are covered because in most cases, your policy is worded not to cover what you are probably going to need help with. Now I am aware there are different levels of plans but I was not made aware of that when I bought our house. First problem was the refrigerator was going out and when I called Old Republic for help..guess what, "Your refrigerator is not covered..so sorry." Next, we just had heavy rains and our roof is leaking in the kitchen. So I called for help and guess what. "So sorry. Your roof is not covered." Just saying, when you need help don't plan on Old Republic doing a thing for you. It's not covered. So sorry.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Old Republic Home Protection?

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

I had nothing but good things to say about OR before today. I have been Property Managing for 15 years and never had a negative comment about them until today. Thanks to a representative named Judy. Very rude, very short, seems like she's an unhappy person. That one experience with her put a bad taste in my mouth about OR. It's a shame because the company of itself is great but that darn Judy need to retire.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

Absolutely worthless. They will respond quickly and connect you with service providers but the contract has so many grey areas and questionable outs that they are able to never pay for meaningful repairs. Huge waste of money. Avoid. Borderline dishonest.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

I bought my home a few days ago, the A/C was working fine, then it quit. I did have a home inspection prior to closing on this house, the a/c unit passed. Last night it broke down. Called ORHP. They sent out a repairman. He did his job. Found out that it should not have passed inspection. They refuse to make or cover ANY repairs. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY. Buy a different home warranty. They are a scam. But they did say if I buy a new A/C, they would cover that one, really? They will cover a new unit with manufacturers warranty? Then why do I need them???

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

I called Old Republic because the dryer was not drying my clothes. The repairman said the vent was clogged and it was a building problem. The building manager said the dryers are ventless, there is no vent but the repairman was not knowledgeable about that. My dryer is still not working and I will have to call a repairman to properly clean the dryer. Old Republic still wants to charge me even though the problem was not fixed. I did not get to choose my repair person. I have alerted my real estate friends about Old Republic’s lack of good customer service. Do not recommend getting a warranty contract from Old Republic.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

On 5/20/2016, I put a claim to Old Republic Home Protection (home warranty) because we only had hot water for 30 seconds and then it went ice cold. ORHP sent J and M Services KC who could not resolve the problem, stating “shower valve needs replaced”. I tried telling the representative that it was a housewide issue, not just one shower. Our issue affected every shower as well as every sink faucet. The representative would only test the water for a couple of seconds, he refused to wait the 30 seconds that it took to turn cold. On 7/07/2016 ORHP sent a different company as the issue still had not been resolved. Once this representative showed, he noticed that the secondary water supply line had not been turned off all the way and was dripping inside the wall.

No one in the house had even been in that room since the last plumber was there because it was the storage room. The last person to touch the water supply line was J and M’s representative. This resulted in black mold covering approx. 1/3rd of our basement walls, which had to be removed (including the studs) and replaced, as well as the carpet/padding and all doors in that room. I filed a claim with insurance but of course J and M Services denied liability. Not only did he not fix the problem but he created another huge nightmare of a problem.

Old Republic Home Protection expert review by Michele Lerner

Old Republic Home Protection has been in business for more than 40 years. Founded in 1974 as Dependable Home Warranty, which provided services only in California, the company joined Old Republic International in 1982 and has been expanding the number of states it serves annually.

• Enhanced coverage: Unlike most home warranty companies, Old Republic covers repairs or replacements even if the problem is due to lack of maintenance, rust or an unknown pre-existing condition.

• Customer satisfaction: Old Republic conducts weekly random surveys of their customers to provide an additional check on their service providers.

• High coverage limits: Old Republic covers the repair or replacement of most items up to $1000 to $1500 per year; kitchen refrigerators are covered up to $2500.

• Delayed coverage: While the warranty program goes into effect immediately if it’s purchased during a real estate transaction, the coverage is delayed for 30 days after payment if a homeowner purchases it.

• Cancellation fee: While there’s no penalty for cancelling within the first 20 days, after that, customers will pay a 10% penalty in some states.

• Best for: home sellers, first-time homebuyers and real estate agents.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
      Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

Old Republic Home Protection Company Information