2. Homeowners
  3. Home Warranties

Compare brands
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.16/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Old Republic Home Protection, formerly known as Dependable Home Warranty, offers one-year service contracts that cover home system and appliance repairs. The company has three plans with optional add-ons: Standard, Ultimate and Platinum. Coverage is only available in 24 states and Washington, D.C., though.

BOTTOM LINE

Old Republic Home Protection has easy-to-understand plans with transparent pricing. Its customizable coverage is convenient but only available in 24 states and Washington, D.C.

PROS

• Customizable coverage
    • Educational resources
    • Clear pricing

CONS

• Limited availability

Top Old Republic Home Protection Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Old Republic Home Protection?

As a Realtor, I recommend this company to all my sellers and buyers. I maintain this warranty platinum edition on my personal home - renewing annually... I have saved $2700 in repairs... A trade fee call of $65 is all I pay toward each repair service. I wouldn't be without it.

There are many home warranty companies in the marketplace and I highly recommend Old Republic for your home warranty company. They are easy to reach, quick in finding excellent service folk, reasonably priced and always accessible.

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

What is Old Republic Home Protection?

Old Republic Home Protection is a home warranty company that offers three different plans has a 24/7 claims department that lets you make a claim anytime.

Old Republic doesn’t operate nationwide, but its website has a map of the states it services. Click on your state to read a brochure detailing Old Republic’s coverage in your state in English or Spanish.

Old Republic Home Protection plans

Old Republic has three plans and numerous add-ons:

• Standard Coverage: This basic plan from Old Republic partially covers several major home systems (including heating, cooling, plumbing and electrical) and some appliances (including dishwashers, trash compactors, kitchen exhaust fans, ranges, ovens, cooktops, built-in microwaves, garage door openers and central vacuums).
      • Ultimate Protection: Ultimate coverage includes everything in the Standard plan with the same or more thorough protection. It also includes additional systems and appliances.
      • Platinum Protection: Old Republic’s most comprehensive offering, the Platinum Protection plan, offers everything in the Standard and Ultimate plans and more, including higher limits and extended plumbing coverage.
      • Optional add-ons: You can customize your coverage with add-ons to take care of additional equipment, including your HVAC system, pool or roof.

Old Republic's most common contract length is 12 months. Plans have a 30-day waiting period between signing the contract and the start of coverage.

Old Republic Home Protection coverage

Old Republic’s warranties cover the following home systems, appliances and specialty items.

Systems
      • Septic systems
      • Well pumps
      • Pools and spas

Old Republic cost

Old Republic annual premiums range from $250 to $1,500, and repair service fees range from $55 to $100 with an average of $75. These costs depend on the size, condition and location of your home. We’ve broken down expected annual costs based on home type for Old Republic plans in Texas below:

Home typeStandard CoverageUltimate CoveragePlatinum Coverage
      Condo/townhome/mobile home$355$460$665
      Single-family$405$510$615
      Duplex$600$750N/A
      Triplex$900$1,100N/A
      Fourplex$1,150$1,400N/A
      New construction$665$775N/A

For more details on costs, visit the Old Republic website to see a map of where it operates. Click on your state to read a brochure that fully details plan costs.

Old Republic FAQ

Where is Old Republic available?
      Old Republic is available in Washington, D.C., and the following 24 states: Alabama, Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia and Washington.
      Does Old Republic require a home inspection?
      No, you can get a home warranty from Old Republic without a home inspection.
      Can I cancel my Old Republic home warranty?
      Yes, you can cancel your Old Republic home warranty. If you do, you get a prorated refund, but you also have to pay service costs and a $50 processing fee.
      Does Old Republic have a service work guarantee?
      Yes. Old Republic guarantees service work for 30 days.

Is Old Republic worth it?

Old Republic might be worth it if you’re looking for a home warranty to cover the systems and appliances in your home. We like that the company has customizable coverage and educational resources on its website. Just make sure you live in one of the states where Old Republic offers coverage.

Old Republic Home Protection Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Old Republic Home Protection?

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

My fridge broke recently and I called them and they sent out a tech that diagnosed it and confirmed that it needs a new compressor. He submitted request to get the parts from ORHP and they say that it will take them 20 business days to research part options and another 3 to 4 days to get the parts to the technician so he can come out and replace them. So it looks like I am going to be without a fridge for around 30 days. This is so so so unacceptable for a critical appliance like a fridge. What could possibly take a company that specializes in fixing / replacing parts 20 business days to research?do

Earlier this year my stove broke down and it was a similar issue, except the model was too old for them to replace the part. So they actually had a tech come back out and pull the control board out of the unit and send it for repair. Then about a month or so later they came out and fixed it. It was inconvenient, but at least I can live fine without a stove, fridge on the other hand is a critical appliance. My contract with them is almost up and I am taking my business elsewhere.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

As a Realtor, I was encouraged to give Old Republic a try. I purchased a Platinum level policy with Old Republic in August 2020. In September 2020 I requested Service for my oven and clothes dryer. The first contractor they matched me with would not accept a check or credit card for the service call. After some discussion with Old Republic, they sent another contractor who came and said he would need to order parts. Two months later, I still have a broken oven and a broken dryer. The contractor will not answer or respond to my calls. I was promised a repairman to fix my appliances between 8 AM and noon on 11/18/2020.

No one came. No one called. The repair service will not answer my calls and customer service from Old Republic has now decided to ignore me as well. Absolutely the worst of all home warranty services. STAY AWAY FROM THESE THIEVES!!! Any Realtor would be an absolute fool to recommend Old Republic to any of his/her clients. I cannot fully describe my level of disappointment with this disreputable company. Absolute frauds!

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

This company was unhelpful, frustrating to work with, and sends out incompetent technicians. I called them to look at a furnace issue and the tech they sent misdiagnosed it. I consulted with two other techs because the issue was very serious and ended up having to replace the furnace. The warranty company wouldn't pay anything b/c their tech said there wasn't a problem. Then I had a minor plumbing issue. The plumber they sent out quoted me $4K to fix a toilet leak, told the warranty company not to cover it, and then couldn't give me a quote to justify $4K to fix a toilet. I ended up firing this warranty company and they took most of my money (calling it pro-rated). They really cost me a lot of time and money. I don't think my realtor is ever going to recommend them again because this was completely useless.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

We purchased a home warranty when purchasing our home and 4 months later made a claim on the garage door opener. We were told it could take up to 48 hours for a repair man to come out even though our car was stuck inside the garage! After 48 hours we called the dispatch number and instead of helping us get a repair done or re-assigning the repair to another company they said we would need to call the company ourselves to see how soon they could come help us. Why would anyone spend the money for a home warranty that didn't insure your repairs would be taken care of. Do yourself a favor and do NOT use Old Republic, this type of customer service is unacceptable.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2020

After almost a full month without a working fridge while pregnant, ORHP's "resolution" was that they completely denied my claim after the part could not be repaired because it was water damaged. So we had to buy a new fridge. I'm completely furious with how much of my time they've wasted for this outcome–if I was going to have to buy a new fridge, I could have done that WEEKS ago. We've spent so much extra money on takeout while we waited.

I had to call my real estate agent and throw an absolute tantrum on social media just to get them to move my claim through their system, trying to order parts that were no longer made, trying to repair a part that was water damaged. I'll be letting all of my realtor friends know how terrible it is to have this company. Hire some more people. It's a recession. Obviously you're raking in the dough from not helping your actual customers. THANKS FOR NOTHING. Hope you can sleep at night for the terrible company that you are.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

Do not buy this warranty!! My built-in refrigerator water and ice dispenser was not working. A guy came after two weeks and told me that I have a plumbing problem and that I have to cut the kitchen floor open and run a new pipe or do it from the ceiling. I called my handyman who fixed it in 15 minutes and didn't even charge me for it!!

A few months later my washer stopped working. I called them and put in a request. Again two weeks later they sent someone who said it is not fixable. He said he'll report it right away and ORHP will contact me about replacing it. I didn't hear back from them for another week. I tried to call them today. The system put me though a voice machine that said, I cannot speak with anyone if a technician has already been to my home! The message said that I have to wait for them to call me back when they have information for me. I have been using public laundry places for three week, I remind you! I will then called back and pretended that I have a new service. That is THE ONLY way you can get someone to speak to. When he learned that I was called about a service that has already been placed he put me though the same voice machine again. I am about to buy a washer and never bother with this company again!

Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

I've had Old Republic for several years now. They've gotten consistently worse each year, and I will not be renewing. I put in a work order for a dishwasher repair on 7/23. It's 10/21 and they have not fixed or replaced it. Every time I contact them the time estimate until replacement gets longer and longer. At this point I'll likely not have a replacement (you know, what I pay them for each year) until 2021 (6 months after the original work order). The agents all give different answers and the supervisors are extremely rude. I have 7 months to find a better company....which shouldn't be difficult. Horrible experience.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2020

Purchase home this year 6/15. AC went out 2 weeks in. Had home warranty through Old Republic, gave them a call, they need policy number, took 2 months to get policy. Oh they didnt authorize the fixes.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2020

Terrible service at Old Republic Home Protection in San Ramon. I’ve used Old Republic Home Warranty ORHP for the last 10 years on several of my rental properties. I got a call from my tenant stating ORHP canceled the policy and decided not to renew. ORHP did not send notice to me via email, US mail or a phone call. I’ve been on an automatic monthly payment plan for 10 years with them. They decided not to renew without any notice whatsoever and when I ask them why they would do that to a customer that’s been with them for over 10 years she said that’s their policy, they’re not required to notify you that you’re losing coverage. It’s up to you to figure it out on your own. I’ve had other issues with ORHP bad service companies but I cannot believe their corporate office in San Ramon operates this way and continues to stay in business.

I decided to go on Yelp and give them a bad review to warn other home owners but Yelp is already full of negative reviews on this company. When I first started using them they were a really good company but now I consider them to be completely worthless crooks with terrible customer service. They said they are not an insurance company, they’re a warranty company so they are not required to follow the same regulations as an insurance company on notifying customers that they may not have coverage. I guess just common courtesy to a ten year customer is also not required. They cheat on their yelp reviews by responding with a concerned ladder. It takes over an hour to get a hold of the person that sent the letter and they are absolutely no help with no follow through and no desire to help the customer. They’re only trying to skew the results on Yelp in their favor without doing anything for the customer.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2020

Old Republic sent a plumber to fix water coming through my ceiling. The plumber they sent was TOTALLY incompetent. He poked 2 holes with my broom and left. The damage went from a few inches to over 8 feet by the time Old Republic got him back to fix the problem. I now have $4300 in verified damage (had contractor come and fix and restore), and Old Republic is only paying $150 for the 2 holes (regardless of size it is $100 for 1st and $50 for 2nd) and put in a damage claim to the plumber's insurance. That they are supposed to vet who they send to me, seems not to concern Old Republic. That they did not send someone out immediately for water leakage, does not concern Old Republic. That they are the reason I have this much damage, does not concern them. DO NOT USE OLD REPUBLIC!

Old Republic Home Protection Company Information