Roto-Rooter

Compare Bath & Plumbing Companies

Research top Bath & Plumbing Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I made an appointment with Roto-Rooter several times on 11/29 2016 and they confirmed my appointment. I called back to confirm my appt with Roto-Rooter for the second time on the following day. I continued to confirm our appointment and they called me at my home phone. They made an appointment with my home at ** for 12 noon on November 30, 2016. They confirmed this appointment with me and said they will call me at 12 noon before they come to **. I called them at 1 pm same day, 11/30 2016. They said they will be at my home to fix the problem this day. They never came. I spoke to Thiomas and said "where are you." He said "I will be at your home in 30 minutes." I waited outside and for almost hours in the pouring rain.

I called them back - Roto-Rooter. A man said "what kind of heating system do you have?" I explain it again. He was extremely rude and his behavior was unacceptable. He was yelling at me on the phone. I told him to calm down. I waited outdoors till 6 pm in the rain with my 16 yr old son Cameron. I called back and a man named Elvis said they are not coming!!! What a terrible and horrific attitude he had as well. Very nasty and rude again!! What a terrible business. They should be shut down or fined. I am writing to the attorney general of Westchester NY as well not to mention every other bureau I can think of. I don't deserve this and I will not accept it. I was very clear and formal on the phone. There is no excuse to be harassed and talked down to as a consumer. I'M totally appalled.

We have a house my grandfather built in 1952. We were put on the sewer system in 1979 when it was finally available in our area. Back in 2003 I had a major drain backup due to tree roots penetrating the cast iron drain. I called Roto-Rooter to come out since that was the only company that could run a drain snake, the 350' needed to clear out the roots and the drain.

A week ago, 13 years later, the drain backed up again. Knowing how much money I spent back when I first had it done $350 I tried to do it myself. I was unsuccessful. I called Roto-Rooter out because they did a good job the first time even though I knew it was going to be expensive. The tech came on time and informed me it would cost $575! I was not happy but the guy was really nice and professional and living without hot showers and toilets that flush is just not an option. He ran a total of 135' and it seemed to fix the problem until Thanksgiving day when all the toilets stopped flushing and the shower and tubs were backed up with disgusting raw sewage. The original tech gave me a 6 month warranty so I called to have them send someone out to honor the warranty.

Finally about 2 hours later than scheduled a different tech showed up. He was a rude little Russian guy who was giving me the stink eye from the minute I approached him. I first told him this was a warranty visit, he just stood there outside my house staring at me for literally 2 minutes without saying a word. He finally said in his thick Russian accent he only had a 100' snake and that no one had a snake longer. Basically he was calling me a liar, I told him the only reason I called in the first place was because they used to be the only ones that could snake over 300'. He insisted no one has a snake longer than 100' in his company. It took me about 15 minutes of arguing with him almost me beating the crap out of him because I wasn't going to let him in my house and I wasn't going to pay another dime for him to waste my time.

I called dispatch and told them to send someone competent with a longer snake to do the job right. Dispatch said they would have another tech out the next morning between 9 am and 11. At noon the next guy came out on crutches with a helper. Again they only brought a 100' snake and told me no one has a longer on. Knowing this is total b.s. because I could rent a 200' snake from Home Depot, I started to see what was going on. They were trying to charge me a 2nd truck additional equipment charge of $200+. In other words, I spent $575 and got a warranty that absolutely useless since they will do everything they can to charge you additional money despite their warranty. I will never use them again.

I'm now tasked with digging up the 350' of drain line and installing clean outs every 50' so I can snake the line myself with the 50' snake I own (I'm a handyman by trade). Bottom line, call a real plumber if you need work done. It will always be expensive because plumber all make the big bucks but at least you won't be screwed by the bait and switch tactics this awful company uses to get in the door and avoid honoring their warranty. They are crooks plain and simple.

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. This is a review of the company Roto-Rooter and its dishonest and/or incompetent scheduling. The company rescheduled twice. I had an appointment scheduled 2 days in advance. They called 30 minutes before the plumber was scheduled to arrive to cancel. This happened TWICE! The first time this happened, they said "the plumber is on his way, just stuck in traffic," then called me 2 hours later to cancel. They may be cheaper than the competition but they are completely unreliable. I am not surprised that their rating on this ConsumerAffairs website is 1 star. I rarely give reviews online, good or bad. But in this case I felt it was necessary to warn consumers.

My gas hot water tank stopped working. I called Roto-Rooter company. The lady was nice and offered 40 dollar free checkup on the tank by service man. When he showed up, looked at it, said my thermal coupler went bad. It won't stay light to start the burner under the tank. I didn't know exactly the work involve. He quoted me 286 dollars. I had a coupon for 20 dollars off from their website. He made me pay 276 dollars. The thermal coupler part cost 10 dollars and I Googled how to do it. I could've done it myself compared to like changing car oil yourself. I got ripped off. Hope someone reads this try another company or attempts it themselves from Youtube.

Not warned about $39 trip charge. Called about a problem drain from bathroom sink. Ad says an estimate is given first. Tech arrived promptly enough but his quote was almost $200. I declined. Got charged a trip fee even though I was never warned.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Roto-Rooter?

I had a sump pump issue. My sump pump light was on and water was coming up through my basement floors. I called Mr Rooter they said that they could not get to me until the next day. I waited and of course they were a hour or so later than what they told me. Some puny little guy came knocking on the door with small cuts on his hand. I open the door and showed him the problem. He was like whoa, whoa, what the? I looked at him kind of crazy. He proceeded to tell me that my sump pump was rigged and that it would cost me 1500 to fix. Me being desperate said, "Okay do you have a payment plan?" He said, "Yes but we have to run your credit and get you approved". Thank God it declined. I never needed my sub pump fixed. It just needed to be reset by pushing the button which turned the light off and caused all the water to go down. Mr Rooter you all should be ashamed of yourself. I am hoping you all are stopped and dealt with for your falsehood.

Basement shower drain was not draining. The first tech Roto-Rooter sent was totally incompetent and the drain was worse after he said it was unplugged. Charge was $318.00 for about 50 minutes of his working time. He gave me a warranty for the work. Next day: They sent out two techs to correct the problem. Of course there would be more charges for this work. They snaked the drain line and this did not fix the problem. Now we have to put a camera in the drain to see what is going on. Another charge. Finally they used water under pressure to dislodge the build up. They damaged my steps moving their equipment into the basement. The water hose used was dirty and black in color, which left black marks on my hardwood floors. They did not clean up after finishing the job. Two men for almost 3 hours. This is a total of less than 7 man hours. My total bill was $1,769.00. I have filed a complaint with the local company out of Livonia, Michigan.

This Roto-Rooter is scam! I am formal employee at this company who are based on commissions. They make technicians to go out and sell as much as they can to make money. The company is based on sewer repair which they make technicians to make big deal out of homeowners, especially those elderly people. I worked at this freaking company for 11 years and I was making 150k plus a year but after a injury I had I found out you are just a number.

Our sump pump started leaking so I called our local Roto-Rooter company, they responded quickly but send a plumber who had never replaced a sump pump. While a perfectly pleasant gentleman, the repair was beyond his skill set. After he left, the new motor kept running all night and into the next day. I opened the lid and the new pump looks like it is faulty as it is spewing water and does not appear to have a float to measure the volume of water in pit. Then I agreed to have their abatement people soak up the wet carpet and they asked for $1,000 for an area that if it was in a square would be 3x3. I agreed to have them vacuum up the wet carpet and for $500, they arrived 3 hours after promised, never called to explain and the technician spent 15 minutes and the carpet is still wet.

DO NOT USE THEM! After being quoted one price I was charged more than $100 more. I called and got the quote originally then confirmed the price when I called again to set up the appointment. When I called for an explanation I was told "it is what it is" and that somehow it was my fault for not understanding. Besides, it was probably someone new who gave me that price (twice somehow) and they didn't know any better (as if that is somehow my fault). Oh, and that baffle they broke, that was because it was old and decaying so have fun fixing that one on your own dime too. What a crap company with ZERO customer service. Use one of the local companies that won't screw you. If you do use them get everything in writing. Their word means nothing...

I had a problem with a leak under the kitchen sink. It was somewhat urgent and I called different places and Roto-Rooter responded in a timely manner. They gave me a time and were even earlier than the estimated time. Patrick ** showed up promptly. He diagnosed the problem, told me I need a new faucet and waited for me to go buy the faucet. When he started installing the new faucet he told me there was another problem with the hose from the main water supply. He took it upon himself to call the company and drive to the store for the needed part. In 30 minutes he finished the job. He was professional, honest, capable. If I have any issues in the future, I will call Roto-Rooter and specifically ask for Patrick.

Would not give me a ballpark quote and 15 minutes just snaked two drains and the bill was $289. And snaked so heavy that they knocked off the plaster in the ceiling downstairs directly under the sink. And then said it was not their fault... Very disappointed and will tell all of my neighbors and have it on my e-mail. Call a plumber, cheaper...

The person whom they sent out was angry, threatening, stupid, stinky, dirty & ** up my bathroom. My husband told him to get out & the guy said he was from ** El Salvador & ** people are afraid to fight where upon my husband beat the ** out of him. ** Roto-Rooter & ** El Salvador.

Not pleased with RR!! They replaced a connection from my copper waterline to the pvc coming from the road last year, and the connection has already failed. I dug it up myself to find water shooting out of the connection. They were not willing to offer me any kind of discount to come back out and fix it again even though a RR technician told me that the connection should not have failed so quickly. Honestly, I am not sure I would want them to come back even if they would do it for free because I do not trust the quality of their work!

Consumer Increased Rating!

Wrong Company.

Reginald of Crete, IL on

Original Review

Well we recently purchased a home. We knew that the yard flooded but since it had a sump pump in it we felt we could deal with the flooding for a day or less. Well as it goes the 2nd year in the home the interior sump pump went out and the yard wasn't draining so we assumed the backyard pump went out also. So we called Roto-Rooter. When they came they gave us an estimate of 1400.00 dollars. Trusting them we agreed to have the work done also the fact that our basement was flooding. So we had the work done.

A week later the backyard pump stopped working, I called for service and they sent someone out right away. Because I was working I had to verify the work after he had gone. The pump was working but I noticed that some of the screws were rusted. I found that to be strange so I called and asked how soon should the screws start to rust and I was told it depends on the water. I thought hmm. Not wanting to call them out in the respect that whatever they did they just got the existing pump to work and in fact never gave us a new one.

Two weeks later it stopped working again, again I called and someone came out. He stated this time that the pumps was sucking up rocks and the current pit was collapsing. I inspected the pit and could not determine it collapsing however it did seem to be old and at this point we wanted this problem to just go away. Since they had started the work we agreed to let them finish at an amazing 2900.00. In which we were coerced into getting a credit card from some people they work with. After all of this we felt pretty stupid. We believe that there was never a new pump installed in the first place. We also had a drain running from the neighbor's yard which they said they would disconnect. Being thoughtful this time I was able to be at home and follow up with work.

As the repairman started to finish the job I noticed that the drain pipe from the neighbor's yard was still intact and it was connected to the pump! I explained this should not be, the repairman said he had planned to dig it up and cut it. Now why would you do all this digging and not dig up everything at once? I then told him I needed to verify that he in fact did cut and disconnect the drain pipe. There were other questions about his work and he tried to explain himself but I felt he kept telling on his self. Like the first time we called him back out he installed another new pump. Now why would that be, and then that he was going to do more digging to cut the neighbors drain.

Finally I asked for a detailed invoice which he said he couldn't provide and that his supervisor would have to bring that out. I didn't sign for the job and am waiting to see what their next step will be. I wonder with all of the same complaints why there hasn't been a class action lawsuit? Because when I signed paperwork for the credit and asked for copies I was never given any.

On 07/03 I had a family 4th of July BBQ. Right before my family arrived we noticed our toilet in the downstairs basement was leaking water on the floor. I went ahead and called the company that I was referred to, however that company was closed so I googled and came upon Roto-Rooter. In desperate need I called them and they advised they was available to come out within an hour or two. I was thrilled (Worst mistake of my life). Anyway they came out within 2hrs as stated. The guy came and immediately advised that we cannot run the water or flush the toilet which was hard to do when you have people at your home but we obliged. He was there for at least 2hr or more and explained that it was a blade stuck in the pipe. After awhile he left and charged us over $500 to do absolutely do nothing. He then advised me that it will cover the back up again and call back if it happens.

As soon as he left the water leaked again and we just mopped the floor up and advised my guest not to use the basement bathroom. The next day they called me and advised that they was coming back (for what - not sure but since we was told that the cost covered the leak we agreed). At this point we think we are going to get this leak from the toilet fixed and that didn't happen. When they came they cleaned my bathroom and put some fans to dry it out. There was nothing to dry out because we already mopped up the water. For 2 days we had these fans and humidifiers going on our electricity to dry out NOTHING. Finally after 2 days they come back and that's when the nightmare really begin.

They cut out my newly renovated basement walls all of them saying they had to cause of the water damage. At this point I am highly upset because I literally just finished renovating my basement and to see all my walls gone, they ripped out all the new baseboards and my baseboard heating, They ripped out all the doors and now I am left with a gutted basement. At this point my husband was fed up and kicked them out. They advised that the insurance max was $5,000. We found out that our neighbor was having the exact same issue and problem all along with NOT in my house but in the street.

A month later they sent us a bill for $5900 for their work. Are you Freaking kidding me? They gutted my newly renovated basement for some freaking water that leaked on the floor and they have the nerve to charge me for gutting the whole basement and cleaning my bathroom. They clearly knew the max for the insurance was $5000 that is why they did all this damage to my home. I am reporting this right now to the Better Business Bureau because they are a scam company and people worst nightmare and they should not be in business. *** NEVER EVER CALL THIS COMPANY *** It will be your worst NIGHTMARE.

My almost 80 year old parents had a clogged sink that was backing up into their bathtub. Guy came out and unclogged the sink the first day for $242. Sink was fine. Told them his boss would have to come back the next day. The next day, the boss would not give them a quote and told them he would have to run a camera down the line. Charged them an additional $2,500 saying he "hydro blasted" the line - what a scam! They were there for less than 3 hours combined for the two different visits. That's approx. $914 an hour!!! These guys are crooks.

Had a clogged drain on the 4th of July. In desperate need of a plumber I contacted Roto-Rooter to unclog the drain due to they were the only ones who could come that day because it was a holiday. So we hired them to unclog the main drain because water was backing up onto the floor. They charged us $568 to do this.

They also told us it would back up again due to a broken rusty auger blade was stuck in the pipe, that turned out to be a lie because the problem was in the street because the neighbor had the same problem. Then they sent a water restoration company to clean up and dry up the water, and these guys came and destroyed my basement that I just had remodeled, so they put in an insurance claim. Charging 5,900 for doing absolutely nothing except people's home and the maximum the insurance pays is $5,000 for a sewer backup. I believe these are very unfair business practices and this company needs to be exposed because they are nothing but thieves.

I was extremely disappointed with the company this time around. I needed a flapper and a flusher replaced from the toilet. I asked the price over the phone several times, but they said they would only quote it in person. I was quoted $275 for the service when the plumber came into the house. Then, I called the company back to verify it and they said the cost was $350 for the service and that I was getting a fair discount. (Were they kidding me?) They must think the consumer are a bunch of fools to quote something that high! I checked on Home Depot and I could buy 2 brand new toilets for the price, plus extra replacing parts with this price tag. This is something simple that I could do it myself, but I had a spinal cord surgery and am unable to do it at the moment.

I just spoke with another plumber who said it takes no more than 5 minutes to do the job. What is wrong with these companies trying to steal money from a customer? I understand everyone needs to make money, but is it right and legal to overcharge a $300 an hour for this type of job? I will be calling the licensing board to check the consumer rights. What an absurd. I am in shock!

We had a leak in our bathroom shower a week ago. We had an appointment in the morning. They never showed up. We had to call them several times to which they stated, "You're the next call." By 9:00 p.m. still no service. Finally they called us to reschedule for Saturday. They got here and said, "Yes it is the same problem. But I didn't bring the part and the store that has is closed on the weekends". In actuality it's only on Sundays so he said, "We will return on Monday between 10:00 a.m. and noon." Well here we are past noon waiting and still no plumber, but they did say we were next in line.

Looked online and they were running $99 dollar special but I guess that not same price for a two family house. It's a bathroom sink. The worker said it was $129. He was there for all of ten minutes. I could have my arteries clear for less, final cost $180. Watch these guys. They are rip off artist. Never again. The guy that came was rude.

First of all, I have to give my information thrice in order for the dispatcher properly record it. The original dispatcher took down wrong address and then accidentally delete the information I gave. By far the most unprofessional company I've ever dealt with. Called to set up emergency service at my place shortly after 5 pm, was told they could get a technician out to me between 5:45-9:45 PM. I've waited for 2-3 hours and didn't get a call. Then finally I got a call from another dispatcher that their plumber get stuck in a customer and won't be able to come. It's common sense why customers are searching for 24x7 same day support. It's because they're desperately need help. If you guys need help on plumbing, I would not recommend this company. Please call Len The Plumber. They're more dependable than this Roto-Rooter.

My septic tank was overflowing into my basement on a Saturday so I called Roto-Rooter to come pump it out. I received a return call from a private number stating that they could get somebody to my house Sunday at the latest and that I would be receiving another call when somebody was on their way. Monday at 6 pm I still hadn't heard anything from them and had no contact information to follow up with whoever it was that I spoke to. I will never use this company and I will never recommend them after waiting by my phone for 3 days while my septic waste was continuing to back up into my basement. Terrible business practices...

I had a terrible experience with this company. Company is an expert at scamming their customers. They make promises they can't keep, saying that insurance will cover everything, and then send you a huge bill at the end. And if you don't pay, they will take you to court. I was absolutely disgusted by this scam. They took me to the court and even Judge could see that this is scam. They lost the case. Please, don't trust this company, don't call them and tell all of your family and friends to stay as far as possible away from this terrible, unreliable company. Even one (1) star is a lot for this company.

Roto-rooter came to my house. I was released from the hospital the same day. They told my wife before he started, that it would be $150 to the street or/and $150 to the house. Since I was bed-ridden, she to keep everyone about said both. He proceeded to the sewer to Roto-rooter the main drain towards the street. He still charged me $350.00 plus a drain cleaner for $40.00. Total bill $404.78. Now that I'm capable of seeing and walking I called Roto rooter for a chance to explain their pricing. She said Manager would call in 2 hours. It's been three days and no courtesy call. We have Cary Plumbing, Michael & Son's in our development of 1500 homes. I will be calling their offices for quotes on same work for a quote to everyone informed.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Resolved thanks to Eric. Satisfied with the result.

Brian of West Mifflin, PA on

Original Review

Toilet not repaired correctly. Sloppy craftsmanship. Confusing policy/fine print on how to have warrantied/guaranteed work corrected. Very, very poor customer service when finally talking to someone in the office. Voice mail messages are NEVER returned. Ever. And "KC" has a very poor attitude and does not know a thing about customer service. Good luck if you chose this company.

I called Roto-Rooter for a garbage disposal replacement at 11:30 A.M. They gave me a 4-hour window but never made it. Instead, they started calling me every two hours until 7:30 P.M. saying that they were running late and would see if they could free a plumber to come late at night. I was fed up and cancelled the appointment because they wasted my day and I could have easily had someone else do the job early that day. Looks like their good reviews come from friends and family members, not real consumers. Will never call them again!

I had someone from Roto-Rooter come over to my house to check the water leakage. He looks at the problem and gives his quote. I tell him I will get back after talking to my husband. He started forcing me to come with him to buy the equipment and let him complete the installation. He scared me as I was alone at home and he started yelling why am I screwing his time if I don't want him to complete the installation. Then I tell him to leave my house and he still kept yelling while leaving. I call Roto-Rooter to complain about him but they hang up on me twice. Please DO NOT get service from Roto Rooter! I never write reviews online but the experience which I had made me write this review so people can be aware of what these people do to their customers.

Called Roto-Rooter to clear my main line (plugged). They cleared it, charged me $300 and stamped on the bill is "31 Guarantee". 20 days later, the main line is plugged, so I called Roto-Rooter to come out again. They clear it and try to stick me with a bill for another $300. According to the idiot manager, the stuck main line was "abusive"... they found a lot of toilet paper in there. Well, not **. Of course there are a lot, the line is plugged. The guarantee isn't worth the paper is written on. Use a competitor... there are lots of competitors. I'll never use these tricksters again.

I called Roto-Rooter because I needed a line cleaned out that drains my washing machine and kitchen sink. When the technician got here, I explained what was happening and showed him where the line was, and where it ran outside of the house. He told me he could take care of the problem for $511. I was in shock. $511 for a simple job of cleaning out a line? He must of seen the look on my face, because he immediately dropped the price to $350. I still thought that was too expensive and told them that unless we can do this for less, I'm not doing it. Ultimately I let him leave. I felt that I would have been getting ripped off if I let them do the work. The whole thing had a sleazy feel to it.

Roto-Rooter Company Profile