Roto-Rooter

Compare Bath & Plumbing Companies

Research top Bath & Plumbing Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Friend (Single female customer) called RR for estimate on dishwater/sinkerator drainage problem. Serviceman provided estimate of $485 labor and $130 parts (?? All parts come with new sinkerator) if customer bought sinkerator (Cost $75) to replace bad sinkerator which serviceman said would fix drainage problem. I installed sinkerator for friend in less than an hour and new sinkerator did not fix dishwater drainage problem. Turns out bad drainage motor in dishwasher ($450 to replace, installment included). So serviceman wanted to charge $615 to install a customer-bought sinkerator that took me less than an hour to install and didn't fix problem. Total cost of non-plumber friend to fix problem: $525 for new sinkerator and new dishwasher. Roto-Rooter is a SCAM! Be aware and get more than one estimate from 2 different companies!

Once the appropriate service member arrived, around 6:30 p.m., the required work (replacing one of the master bath sink faucets) was swiftly and professionally completed by Bruce, Tech #**. Unfortunately, our scheduled appointment was for between 8:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. The first service member arrived at 1:30 p.m. and promptly informed me that he could not complete the required repairs and another service representative would need to be called. I had to constantly call the dispatch personnel to get updates on when or if another service tech was coming.

Flush Master in tank was taking 1 hour to fill tank full. They came and scrapped a little hard water deposit off in 10 minutes and charged my senior parent $250.00. I will leave as many reviews as I can to warn others about their dishonesty. Better call another company. Service was last week. I am very upset about this.

Short and to the point... Took off work TWICE to wait for Roto-Rooter. The first time slot was noon-4. They called after 5 pm and they were sorry but behind and would be there soon. They NEVER showed up. Called about 9 pm and offered to come out. We declined. Was given a $75 off coupon for them not showing. We set up another appt for a few days later; this one was for 8am-noon. They called after 10 am and said they were running late. They NEVER SHOWED UP!!! We called to get a status check at 1:30. They said their tech was running behind. How are you "running behind" if you're already an hour and 30 minutes late??? The customer service rep was VERY RUDE. She needs guests relations training... actually, she should be taken off the phones. Anyway, NEVER going with them again. Such a waste of time... and a waste of effort.

DO NOT GET SCAMMED BY ROTO-ROOTER. Wife at home with kid while husband was at work. On Thursday morning the technician arrived on time, said he couldn't get his rod all the way to the house so he called his field supervisor with a camera. Supervisor, Greg **, arrived promptly, ran the camera, looked at the sewer line from inside the house and said our problem was a collapsed/broken pipe at the house, quoted $5300 to replace with new cleanout at broken pipe. He said they cleaned out the tree roots and we could use the shower and toilets but not flush down the toilet paper due to potential clog on broken pipe. We were charged $429 to clean out the line, but if signed contract they wouldn't charge for rodding. We opted to call three other plumbers for quotes and pay the clean out fee.

The first company came out that same night, ran the camera through and showed us the sewer still had roots and there is no broken pipe. We called Roto-Rooter first thing next morning, they sent out another plumber that evening who couldn't do anything without charging us $400+ because Thursday's rodding was a "no guarantee". On Saturday the company sent out the first technician with Greg ** to finish the job they started. He again tried to tell us that our problem was the broken pipe and not the roots. Needless to say he didn't do anything that day due disagreement. Said he wouldn't camera the line again without charging us $425.

Sunday/Monday we couldn't get a hold of anyone at Roto-Rooter, and no one returned our phone calls from local office and corporate. Monday the third and fourth plumbers came out and told us the roots are still clogging the sewer line, and we don't need to replace the pipe as it's not broken. Roto-Rooter management on Friday evening said we would have Greg's video emailed on to us on Saturday, Greg said we would have it on Monday. Still don't have a video from roto rooter showing a broken pipe.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Roto-Rooter?

Consumer Increased Rating!

Tech experienced and nice. Claim that quote free, however, before even looking would ask you to sign 269$ for assessment. I signed, but would recommend to decline and send them away. Their business practice is unfair and misleading, as once you allow them to assess for this amount likely you would take whatever price they offer. I would never use them again. They are very very much expensive. Beware.

Horrible, single women beware!!! This was June 2016, and I will never forget. The rude Snohomish county plumber made a big deal about some garbage in my well house. I don't have garbage pickup. Anyway, he said it would cost 1500! To replace a fitting. I got a second opinion it wasn't even the fitting. It ended costing me less than 300 from the other plumber. If I would have gone with Roto-rooter, I would have spent 1500! And not even fixed the problem!!!

Contacted Roto-Rooter because I saw so many ads. Thought they were reputable and fair. My mistake. I should have checked the reviews online. Problem: Clogged kitchen drain. Needed a snake to get in under the disposal. Should be a 15 mins job with the right tools. What happened: Called the Roto-Rooter 800 number. They were very polite but would not quote a price. Said the plumber will inspect and quote. That wasn't true. Because there was a price list for services. Plumber comes in on Fri afternoon. Takes a look and quotes $450 for the services. But will do it for $349 because he can give me a discount. Given that I have a party on Sat morning I decide to cough up the money. Ugh. I feel like I was robbed.

I had seen the local plumber quote $125 for the same job. Guy does a good job. Very nice service. Then he says if you give us a good review then they will run a lottery and may refund your service fee. That is just wrong! I wonder how many people will write a good review hoping to win the lottery while misleading other customer! Anyway, I am kicking myself for not comparing their prices with other vendors. Unclogging a drain is not rocket science. It should not cost 450 bucks. Hope you don't make the mistake I made!

******* Published on other site: https://fresno.craigslist.org/lbs/6006288450.html *****

Roto-Rooter charged Farmers Ins. over 4k to do some plumbing work at my sister's house. Then 378 dollars to my brother in law (a Disabled Vietnam Vet) to replace 3 water shut off valves, 15 dollars parts and 20 minutes labor. Clog not fixed, Roto-Rooter called back, could not clear clog, advised brother in law it was a 7 thousand dollar job to clear clog and charged him an additional 235 dollars for visit.

I called Aaron's pumbing who cleared clog within ten minutes at a cost of 75 dollars. I also had to remove and reinstal the three water shut off valves as Roto-Rooter technician failed to use teflon tape or plumbing Dough. Contacted manager Tom complaining who was willing to look at the 235 dollar visit but not the 378 shut off valve charge. Upon advising him I'd be forced to contact. The BBB, his reply was,"Call The President of the US if you want, I don't care". I had no idea my President works for Roto-Rooter. Purpose of this statement; Do not call your so called friendly neighborhood plumber (Roto-Rooter) for plumbing needs. Will rob you blind. My new name for them; ROB NO ROOTER.

I had a water leak at home. The water below the sink in the first floor had leaked and came down to the ceiling. I called to Roto-Rooter. They were supposed to tell there is a charge for visiting of $115 which I wasn't aware of. A guy stopped by at door, still said nothing about a charge, looked where the leak was. He didn't touch pipe, he said there was no issue. He mentioned that there could be something above the ceiling the water is leaking and left my home. I got an invoice for $115. When I talked to manager about the invoice over phone, he said that's their policy not to tell the charge of $115 upfront, but needs to be paid. This I think is unacceptable.

Serviceman arrived at residence and asked what problems I was experiencing. I stated bathroom and kitchen were backing up. He then quoted 250.00 and what method of payment I had for services. He unclogged bathroom and then said he couldn't clean the complete sewer line because of roots and showed me bathroom was now draining. He said he would bring invoice to me to pay and sign. I asked about kitchen and he stated it should be working. I said I wanted kitchen checked. He told me it was a separate charge and he had cleared sewer and kitchen should be working. He then checked kitchen sink and found it was clogged and unclogged drain line and charged 110.00 extra. I am disappointed with lack of clarity for charges and attention to services that were asked for.

We have a main line clog. We had a couple other plumbers look at it and let us know what needed to be done. The other plumbers were very busy and let us know that Roto-Rooter could probably get to it faster. So we called Roto-Rooter. They showed up said that they could not fix the problem because we do not have a main cleanout and that the toilet was not an option. Other plumbers explained that toilet may be an option and told us where a clean out could easily be cut.

Roto-Rooter guy says that he cannot do that and said we would need to wait until spring to dig a hole and cut a clean out. This would be about $3000.00. Then tells us that he needs to charge a $50 service fee. HE DID NOTHING. But then remembers that he drove and needs to charge a $60 travel fee. He drove 26 miles because we live in a small town. So I was charged $110.00 for nothing. My dad called after hearing this and asked about the plumber's credentials. Based on the response he doubts the plumber was licensed.

We called because our laundry room and garage were flooding. We had called 2 years ago with the same problem and spent a lot of money then. We paid 235 for the services (on Saturday) and we should have denied paying upfront this time because they did not have the camera to see what was causing it. It was an incomplete service. They then said they would call back on Monday to come out. I heard nothing all week and called the following Saturday. I should not have to hunt anyone down to finish a service we paid for. When I spoke with them on Saturday I was told I would get a call as soon as we hung up from someone who will come out that day. We hung up and I received no phone call all day.

I received a call on Sunday instead. They asked when they could come out. I told them Tuesday after 5. This was set up. Tuesday came and went without a call. Then we received a call Wednesday asking if they could come out Thursday. There was no explanation of why they did not show up or apology. At this point we said enough is enough.

I have been trying to get a hold of a manager since. I do not want the camera as it is now a month later. I want our money back for an incomplete service. It is ridiculous that I cannot speak to a manager and every time I call (which has at least been a dozen calls) I am told a manager will call me within the hour and every time I receive no call. We will never use Rotor-Rooter or recommend them to anyone. We felt that we were being very patient and understanding and now we are DONE. Finish a job you start and do not make appointments and not show up. This is the worst customer service we have ever experienced.

The technician was ok, installed the pump. But upon completion when he gave us the final total for work done, I was not happy. How are you gonna charge $505.00 for labor, when the parts costs 269.00, almost double for labor than what the part cost. I feel they should have told us the cost of labor before he started. I've had this work done before from a plumber and never paid this much. I will not use them again. Their labor cost are outrageous, I feel like I was robbed.

The service person was 3 hours late. I lost 4 hours of pay for leaving work. Upon his arrival and explaining the problem the trap plunger was stuck in the drain line, he explains that the only way to get the plunger out is to dig up the basement floor. At that point I told him to leave. I went to the local rental store and rented a snake for $80.00. It took less than thirty seconds to pull the plunger out of the sewer line. I can't believe that they are able to stay in business. They are totally untrained and not at all customer friendly.

I called Roto-Rooter on Sunday January 15, 2016 for a clogged drain line, as I was unable to drain the bathtub or flush the toilet. When I called I explained to them what the problem was and requested an estimated quote. The Roto-Rooter agent informed me that the technician would provide a quote after he assessed the issue. The technician arrived, assessed the problem and told me that he would snake the main drain from the street to the house for $265.00. I allowed him to proceed.

After snaking the drain for approximately one hour, he was unsuccessful in unclogging the drain. He told me that the drain pipe was probably collapsed due to overgrown roots, he also informed me that they would have to "hydro jet" the drain line to the street at a cost of approx $4800.00! He told me that they would return on Tuesday and run a camera in the drain pipe. The technicians arrived and inspected the pipe with the camera. The other technician confirmed that the city vent trap must be removed and hydro jetted, and provided an official Roto-Rooter quote (**) in the WHOPPING amount of $4,800.00!!

I thought this amount was exorbitant and decided to get a second opinion. I called another local rooter company and explained the situation, the company provided me with a quote over the phone of $65.00. The other local rooter company arrived and ran the snake to the house and to the street. The clog was cleared after 20 minutes of work. Please beware of this company, as they are known to overcharge customers and charge for unnecessary work, as the technicians are paid a commission on major unnecessary jobs!

I had a very bad experience with Roto Rooter. I had a leaking pipe in the ceiling. They came and fixed the leak. Then the problem started. They told me that since they fixed the leak, they had the service my heating system. Charging close to $6000.00. After they "serviced" my system, part of the house had no heat. I called them and they said it was the thermostat. They requested additional payment to install a thermostat. After I complained they installed the thermostat free of charge but still part of the house has no heat. I called them again now they said is the pump. Until now 4 months later my heating system is not working properly. Please avoid this Queens NY based company. Poor service, expensive and they don't know what they are doing.

Incompetent staff, exorbitant prices! The guys came yesterday, left the job unfinished, informed us not to use the water, toilets, bathrooms, could not find the problem. Bunch of incompetent staff, including the scheduler who could not respond to an emergency situation in 2 days. All they needed was to come with a plumber but they did not. We have to suffer the consequences.

We had Roto Rooter come to find out why our toilet wasn't flushing. A tech came out (he was late). He told us nothing was wrong, we needed a new toilet. We put one in and the problem still existed. We called them to come back. AGAIN they were late. The tech was there for three hours and had no idea what the problem was. He called three of his co workers and then called the Master Plumber of Roto Rooter. No one knew what the problem was. After he played around with our toilet he did something that caused our second bathroom from working. Leaving us with no plumbing!

They sent someone out with a camera. After using the camera they still couldn't figure it out but wanted to charge 5000 to dig and investigate and then charge to fix it!!! When we decided to get another plumber to see if they could find the problem, my husband requested the video of when they used the camera. They refused to give us the video which we paid for. They said we can watch the video, only in their office for 400.00! After telling people, it seems that when dealing with Roto Rooter lets a nightmare!! Use another plumber.

ROTO-ROOTER are top-class RIP-OFF artists. Charged $308.00 for sump that costs $128.41 retail. Their own wholesale price must be much lower. INV # ** of Jan 4, 2017. SERVICED BY DANIEL **. THIS IS MORE THAN A RIP-OFF. This is GREED UNLIMITED. Zoeller 53-0002, Model N53 Mighty-Mate Cast Iron Effluent Pump .3 HP, 115v, 1 Phase, Manual, 1-1/2 Inch Discharge, 9 ft. Cord $128.41.

Upon calling RotoRooter.com they call right back at my home in 30 minutes. Peter the tech very respectful. Explain everything step by step. A gentlemen. His tech #**. Don't find this kind of person these days. Knew his stuff. Told me not to worry, "Our team will take care of the mess." Thank you RotoRooter.com.

Guy came out, moved the toilet to put snake down to unblock pipe, when he could of done it from the outlet outside which I had to show him where it was. It was Dec 25, 2016, could of waited, cost me 513 dollars. I feel ripped off.

Called for water leak detect. The guy kept listening over the same area for an hour. Never went outside to listen for leaks in ground. $125.00 and did not find the leak. Totally incompetent and very unprofessional. Called American leak detection, the guy found the leak outside in 10 min.

We had one clogged toilet. We were given a ballpark range, totally off! This included their expensive product, 1 gallon of pipe shield. He actually poured it down our kitchen sink without asking and then charged us $57.73 for a gallon of this caustic fluid! He actually said it was grain based! We are very disappointed. Buyer beware and fingers crossed we can get back at least the money for a lie!

I had this company Roto-Rooter do 3 things, change a shut off valve on a toilet, tighten down the back of a toilet, and replace 4 small PVC pipes all connected together in a basement. It took 2 hours for all. This job cost me $800.00. I called the company back to complain about the price and a manager was supposed to call me back and never did. Never again with this company. Total rip-off!

Recent water main replacements in my area have resulted in debris blocking some pipes in my old house (109 years). There was also an old galvanized steel pipe from the meter that burst under the house; Roto-Rooter fixed that successfully but it was not cheap; a 2-foot pipe in less than 3 hours was $1275. A technician came out to survey the blocked pipe did a diligent analysis, charging me $254 for estimate of $16,000. There was no breakdown of labor of parts. A phone visit to his boss got it down to $13,000. This to go in the drywall And replace 2 risers? Am using another local plumber, far more civilized, for a ball park range 2,500-3,500. 'Nuff said.

When Roto Rooter arrived, I was not given an estimate immediately, but he asked me the problem. I said it was backing up in my kitchen sink, and now the dish washer is not draining. Okay, so he said he would go on the roof, asked me if the vent or trap was on the roof, I said yes, {he should have had an idea of this}. Well, the snake did not do it. Now he comes in and gives me an estimate of 1,865.50 for the job, He said he has to jet it out from the main water line. Asked if I knew where it was, I said no. By the way he had put a camera down, and had already dug up what he found out was an add-on line for the toilet in my garage. The snaking he had done nearly tore the roof up. Very noisy. So, now he finds the main line and jets it out. Yes, there was debris in the line. Yes he worked for 8.50 hours, but, I still cannot justify the amount I paid, since the bill was not itemized.

I made an appointment with Roto-Rooter several times on 11/29 2016 and they confirmed my appointment. I called back to confirm my appt with Roto-Rooter for the second time on the following day. I continued to confirm our appointment and they called me at my home phone. They made an appointment with my home at ** for 12 noon on November 30, 2016. They confirmed this appointment with me and said they will call me at 12 noon before they come to **. I called them at 1 pm same day, 11/30 2016. They said they will be at my home to fix the problem this day. They never came. I spoke to Thiomas and said "where are you." He said "I will be at your home in 30 minutes." I waited outside and for almost hours in the pouring rain.

I called them back - Roto-Rooter. A man said "what kind of heating system do you have?" I explain it again. He was extremely rude and his behavior was unacceptable. He was yelling at me on the phone. I told him to calm down. I waited outdoors till 6 pm in the rain with my 16 yr old son Cameron. I called back and a man named Elvis said they are not coming!!! What a terrible and horrific attitude he had as well. Very nasty and rude again!! What a terrible business. They should be shut down or fined. I am writing to the attorney general of Westchester NY as well not to mention every other bureau I can think of. I don't deserve this and I will not accept it. I was very clear and formal on the phone. There is no excuse to be harassed and talked down to as a consumer. I'M totally appalled.

We have a house my grandfather built in 1952. We were put on the sewer system in 1979 when it was finally available in our area. Back in 2003 I had a major drain backup due to tree roots penetrating the cast iron drain. I called Roto-Rooter to come out since that was the only company that could run a drain snake, the 350' needed to clear out the roots and the drain.

A week ago, 13 years later, the drain backed up again. Knowing how much money I spent back when I first had it done $350 I tried to do it myself. I was unsuccessful. I called Roto-Rooter out because they did a good job the first time even though I knew it was going to be expensive. The tech came on time and informed me it would cost $575! I was not happy but the guy was really nice and professional and living without hot showers and toilets that flush is just not an option. He ran a total of 135' and it seemed to fix the problem until Thanksgiving day when all the toilets stopped flushing and the shower and tubs were backed up with disgusting raw sewage. The original tech gave me a 6 month warranty so I called to have them send someone out to honor the warranty.

Finally about 2 hours later than scheduled a different tech showed up. He was a rude little Russian guy who was giving me the stink eye from the minute I approached him. I first told him this was a warranty visit, he just stood there outside my house staring at me for literally 2 minutes without saying a word. He finally said in his thick Russian accent he only had a 100' snake and that no one had a snake longer. Basically he was calling me a liar, I told him the only reason I called in the first place was because they used to be the only ones that could snake over 300'. He insisted no one has a snake longer than 100' in his company. It took me about 15 minutes of arguing with him almost me beating the crap out of him because I wasn't going to let him in my house and I wasn't going to pay another dime for him to waste my time.

I called dispatch and told them to send someone competent with a longer snake to do the job right. Dispatch said they would have another tech out the next morning between 9 am and 11. At noon the next guy came out on crutches with a helper. Again they only brought a 100' snake and told me no one has a longer on. Knowing this is total b.s. because I could rent a 200' snake from Home Depot, I started to see what was going on. They were trying to charge me a 2nd truck additional equipment charge of $200+. In other words, I spent $575 and got a warranty that absolutely useless since they will do everything they can to charge you additional money despite their warranty. I will never use them again.

I'm now tasked with digging up the 350' of drain line and installing clean outs every 50' so I can snake the line myself with the 50' snake I own (I'm a handyman by trade). Bottom line, call a real plumber if you need work done. It will always be expensive because plumber all make the big bucks but at least you won't be screwed by the bait and switch tactics this awful company uses to get in the door and avoid honoring their warranty. They are crooks plain and simple.

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. This is a review of the company Roto-Rooter and its dishonest and/or incompetent scheduling. The company rescheduled twice. I had an appointment scheduled 2 days in advance. They called 30 minutes before the plumber was scheduled to arrive to cancel. This happened TWICE! The first time this happened, they said "the plumber is on his way, just stuck in traffic," then called me 2 hours later to cancel. They may be cheaper than the competition but they are completely unreliable. I am not surprised that their rating on this ConsumerAffairs website is 1 star. I rarely give reviews online, good or bad. But in this case I felt it was necessary to warn consumers.

Roto-Rooter Company Profile