1.45/5
Based on 70 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

417 Roto-Rooter Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 15, 2018

When I called for appointment the hours they gave me was 8 to 12... At 11 I called. They said someone would be a here in a hour. 2:20 no show yet. Called at 4. Voiced my opinion. I would never ever recommend this Co. This co. to me is a scan and very unreliable no business ethics whatsoever. Was lucky enough to find a small family business plumbing company. Please if you read this review don't let this happen to you. 8 hours waiting for a plumber that never showed up.

Original review: June 9, 2018

My sump was making noise and I feared the motor was about to burn out or the pump was clogged. The specialist showed up took a cursory look at the pump in the front of the basement and announced "it was old and needed replacing." The pump is 18 months old. The pump in the rear of the basement was clogged with tissue and producing undue strain on the pump in the front of the basement. Had the specialist cleared the clog there would have been NO NEED to replace the fully functioning pump at a cost of $795.00. In short the rear pump needed attention and had I followed his recommendation I would have been out of $795 for no reason other than increasing Roto-Rooter's bottom line. Stay away from this company unless you have money you just want to give away.

Get expert buying tips about Online Bathroom Fixtures and Plumbing delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 5, 2018

My basement walk up drain was clogged. Roto-Rooter came the same day and cleaned it out at a charge of $599! Not weekend work. Not an emergency! No parts needed! Just a snake to clean the line. HomeAdvisor says price should be from $140-290. I submitted feedback to RR, but so far got no justification for their excessive costs... Not happy.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I contacted Roto-Rooter to repair/replace my hot water heater because the blinking light indicated a temperature system failure. The plumber/technician came out the next day, and after inspecting the heater, indicated the gas valve with temperature control would have to be replaced. He contacted the manufacturer and ordered the part at a cost of $264 (including a $50 overnight shipping fee). The plumber/technician returned the next day and installed the part—-at an additional cost of $475 (less a $50 coupon I happened to find). That sure seems like a lot for a job that was no more than 2 hours! The plumber/technician was great—courteous, friendly and prompt—-however, I will likely NOT contact Roto-Rooter for future plumbing repairs, nor will I recommend them.

Original review: May 22, 2018

Don’t waste your money, Awful, thieves and rip off company, they gave me a 4 hours window to come (which is a long time to get off work and wait for them and said they will call with a 20 minutes heads up but will be closer to 4 pm as I am their first to start for a technician (a non-licensed plumber) who will start at 4 pm, they called 4 pm and said the technician is on his way, 7 pm I am still waiting, 8 pm I called them, she said 13 minutes, no show for another hours, when he finally showed up he said he had started working at 6 pm and does not know why the dispatcher said he is on his way at 4. When I call talking to the dispatcher is just like talking to a wall, they have been taught a bunch of lies to tell every customer. They write nonsense on their invoices in order to void the warranty.

I used them 3 times, every time giving them the benefit of a doubt, same lying and cheating every time, they have done the same to quite few of my friends as well. The technicians are all on commission, (that is why they do not give you price ideas over the phone), when they show up they will try to sell you as much nonsense and price jack up as they have been trained. They will add many unnecessary items to the work that needed to be done. I realize they are in business to make money, but how about some honesty. Horrible company, DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Roto-Rooter?

Original review: May 22, 2018

Roto-Rooter charged me an obscene amount to just snake a drain. The person that showed up did not use a metal probe to find a clean out drain and pop open a toilet instead. When I asked him about this later he said that would of been an extra charge which I too thought was ridiculous. Probing for a cleanout that may be buried is standard procedure for most plumbers. Snaking a drain for most plumbers run 100.00-300.00 at the most. I called three other plumbers and they all thought this was highway robbery. Time spent was less than 2 hours. That's over 250.00 per hour. I won't ever use them again.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I scheduled an appointment with Roto-Rooter about one week in advance. They gave me a two hour window from 8 AM to 10 AM. At 10 AM I called them and they told me their windows are four hours not two hours and the guy would be there by 12. At 1 o’clock I called back and they told me that someone would call me about a half an hour before coming out. I asked her when that might be and she said she couldn’t tell me as they were waiting for somebody to be free in the area. I asked her what the 2-4 hour window was for because I thought that WAS their time margin for a standing appointment. All she told me was she didn’t know and that they would waive the service fee for me.

I told her that they advertise free estimates and there shouldn’t be any service fee to begin with. She asked me if I was quoted that when I made the appointment as if I was getting a bargain to begin with. It is now after 2 o’clock in the afternoon — I have been waiting over six hours. I took the day off work, got up early, put in extra time, clean out the areas where the plumber would be servicing, put off other appointments to deal with this and could have called another company. I have a major sump pump issue that needs to be repaired before the next rain which is forecast for tomorrow... I am finding it is now too late to schedule someone out this afternoon, and I will likely have a major flood and bricks coming up under the pipe when it rains.

So I will have to take another day off of work at greater expense. No phone calls, no nothing. Dispatchers or someone could have called or at the very least offered some sort of apology. My time is just as valuable as theirs—Not only did I not get the job done but they wasted an ENTIRE morning and afternoon of my time simply operating under their standard business procedures. Homeowners should have some type of recourse for no shows other than simply posting a review—otherwise companies like this will continue to have no repercussions.

Original review: April 24, 2018

I would give them zero stars if I could. They are a scam. Tried to charge me $850 to install a sink trap. I told them to get the heck out of my house! Don’t use them under any circumstance. Don’t fall for their “ free estimate” scam. They need to be behind bars in my opinion!

Original review: April 24, 2018

We contacted Roto-Rooter after the infamous Four'Easters and subsequent deluge of rain in New Jersey on April 16th. We had a small waterfall at the bottom of our slope, with water bubbling up through the French drain pipe and gushing down our rock wall. They came out the next day and did inform me that the cost for them to blow out the pipe would be $762. I agreed to it as I was put on the spot and vulnerable. He later said that the pipe was not clogged but that the ground was over-saturated, causing the water to seep up. He did reroute the water away from the wall, but just by digging a small trench (with his hands, I think). Something we could have had a landscaper do for far less.

Original review: April 14, 2018

They charged $1182 for replacing a garbage disposal and valves. A disposal and parts costs $120. Average rates for plumber = $45-$150/hr. For 3 hours of time on this job, this guy got $350/hr. Don't fall for this, people.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I don’t like to leave bad reviews but someone may benefit from my experience. I made my appointment the day before and asked for an estimate of cost. I wasn’t given one so I made the appointment and figured I would use the $40 coupon online. My job was pretty simple, blocked sink, first floor, septic tank right outside the window. My plumber took the sink off so we’re talking about a 3-4 ft of pipe to be cleaned out. I got a call saying the tech would be there in 30 minutes. I sent my husband to meet him as we don’t live there. He waited an hour, called me and said he’s not here. I call Roto-Rooter. They said he’ll be there in 5 minutes. He gets there and quotes us $450. Total waste of our time. Be warned. Ask questions. Needless to say we rejected the quote.

Original review: April 1, 2018

Re: Control #: **. We had a pinhole leak in a kitchen pipe leading to the water dispenser. RAMON replaced fittings for the cold water inlet as well as replaced the P-trap under the kitchen sink. Not only was RAMON skilled and efficient; he was also very pleasant and friendly; and explained what he did. We thank him, and appreciated his willingness to work on this holiday (Easter Sunday), as well as the company dispatcher. The initial call for service was done the day before (Saturday, March 31, but because it was a holiday weekend) scheduling was very erratic. However, we were kept apprised of the timeline of RAMON'S arrival. Thank you, Roto-Rooter!

Original review: March 30, 2018

We have a clogged kitchen sink drain, we called Roto-Rooter. They sent somebody out to look at the sink and started off with a whopping 450.00 estimate then came down to about 250.00 and told him to forget it, I called another plumber and they are doing it for $125.00 today!!! P.S. Reason for the review is Roto-Rooter became a rip-off company!!!

Original review: March 26, 2018

Roto-Rooter came to my house and found no blockages in front and back. They then told me that the original pipe from the house was broken. They charged me $5000 to dig down 4 and a half feet to replace the broken pipe. They promised me to take a photo of the new pipe, and never did so.

Original review: March 26, 2018

I called Roto-Rooter for a nasty backed up kitchen sink. I got same day service with NO service call charge and NO extra fees added because it was Sunday. The plumber was running a little behind so the office called to notify me which was very helpful. However, the plumber did arrive within the original time window that I was quoted so it wasn't like they were actually late. The plumber, whose name was Lipi, was very thorough in explaining what the job entailed and got the job done in about 30 minutes. I decided to buy the Roto-Rooter brand enzyme cleaner from him too, but he didn't do the 'hard sell' to badger me into it.

The job was a little more than I had hoped it would be but then again, I really didn't know what to expect so maybe I was underestimating. I had already called around for other quotes but none of the other plumbing companies would quote over the phone and were charging over $100 bucks just to walk in my door because it was Sunday, regardless of whether or not I used their services! Plus, waiting until Monday and having to take a day off from work would set me back more than what roto rooter charged, and if I waited until my next weekday off I would be stuck for days without a kitchen sink or dishwasher and with five kids that wasn't a good option either. So all things considered I feel like I received fast, convenient, excellent service for a reasonable price.

Original review: March 18, 2018

They walked into my house, saw a single mother and decided I'd be their victim. I provided the disposal and all the parts and removed the old garbage disposal...they charged 400 dollars JUST TO INSTALL a disposal. They wanted 200 dollars JUST TO TIGHTEN THE FAUCET. They're criminals. Then he lied about flooding my floor.

Original review: March 16, 2018

I had a horrible experience I had with Roto-Rooter and all their employees at the River Ridge Louisiana location. I had a sewer back up in the 2 bathrooms in my home the end of January. On January 26th they sent in a young man to fix the problem. We paid $450.00 dollars to take off the toilet and to run a camera from the bathroom to the outside pipe. He then proceeded to tell me that the pipe outside eventually will need replacing. I went to out of the country for a couple of weeks and when I came back the sewage was all over the floor and tub and toilet. I called again and they sent someone else but wanted to charge me again another $500.00 dollars.

I told them that the issue was not resolved and I needed the same man to come and fix it. He did come back but told me the pipe broke. He then told me to call the office to make an appt. for someone to come and give me an estimate. Patrick was dispatched and came 4 days later on a private truck not a Roto-Rooter Van. He then told me it was going to cost $4200 dollars. I told him I could not afford that amount. He then spoke to his boss and came back with an estimate of 3550.00. We agreed to it and he emailed me the proposal on February 7, 2018 and told me they would start the next day. No one showed up the next day or the day after.

They started digging on the 12th. I go home for lunch and I see a small gray/silver car parked on my driveway and 2 Hispanic men there. No uniform or a company vehicle there. Very unprofessional. They worked for a couple of hours and they came back the next day again to work for a couple of hours. Later Patrick called me and he said the guys had dug up another pipe to connect to the pipe in kitchen and the pipe broke.

On his proposal he was to dig 10 feet and all they dug was 4 feet. The pipe they were talking about was not even exposed so they could not have seen this to determine if the pipe broke. I asked Patrick how did he know if he didn’t ran a camera. He stated that even if he would have ran the camera the pipe would have broken anyway. He said it was going to cost me an additional $4900.00. I told him I did not have that money to do it. He said that they needed to have me sign a waiver so they wouldn’t be responsible of the mess they created. I refused to do it. I called the office to have them come out and finish the job and close the hole that was left. I told them that they could not have seen the other pipe if it was never exposed. She told me they ran the camera and that’s how they could see.

I then replied that was not true because Patrick told me he did not ran the camera. Then she said she would give me his supervisor’s name and number to see what he could do. I called him his name is Tommy. He told me either we pay or they will not finish and hanged up on me. I called the office again and they said they could not help that the hole was left to have the inspector come and view it. Again nothing happened. I called again and then I told him that I was waiting for the inspector, they replied “What Inspector? No inspector is coming." I asked them for the corporate office number and finally after insisting she gave it to me. I called repeatedly but no one returned my call. I called Patrick and Tommy may many times and they would not answer my call or called me back after I left many messages.

I called so many companies to come and finish this job but they would not touch it. I finally had to beg a company that comes to the property I work at since I work in property management to fix plumbing problems and they agreed to do it. The reason I gave the check to Patrick in the first place was because he insisted of paying him and he promised he was going to finish what they started and close the hole. My boyfriend and I are extremely upset and disappointed on top of frustrated.

We all got tons of mosquitoes and larva, also tons of gnats. He all got sick due to the fact. The Tunnel Company came in with large excavators and finished the job but took off the pipe that Roto-Rooter put on because it was not done correctly. This job was totally botched on top of making my life miserable. We suffered vomiting and stomach cramping and diarrhea because of the open hole they refused to fill. This company has been around for some time but now they are hiring subcontractors to do the jobs and they could care less about the client. All they think about is how much money they can get out of you. I always thought they were reputable but PLEASE BEWARE! NOT WORTH THE STRESS AND AGGRAVATION. Shop around before you agree to anything.

Original review: March 8, 2018

On Monday February 20th. Around 10:30 pm my mother in law went to take a shower downstairs where she lives. She noticed the carpet was damp. We checked out the sump pump and realized it was not on. My partner turned on and off the breakers to see if that would help. When it didn't, he kicked the white pipe that is connected to the pump and it kicked on. We immediately spent 3 hours or more sucking up the water with our Rug Doctor.

In the morning around 8 am I got on the phone with Plumbers to have someone come out and look at my sump pump to see why it had failed. Roto-Rooter was my second call. They came out around 10:30 am, James **, a field supervisor, stated the sump pump was fine because he saw it dispelling when he drove up. He said we needed to be concerned with mold setting in, which could happen in 24 hours. He stated that the job was going to be 10s of thousands of dollars, because we had poop water all over, he brought out a blue light and showed my partner the water on the carpet, which again he stated was poop water. He said our main sewage line was backed up and it would cost a lot of money to repair. He said it definitely had to go through our insurance, due to the cost. He advised me to call my insurance company and find out my max payout and deductible. Also to verify we had a sump pump rider.

Once I found out I had a max of 5K with a 2K deductible his story changed to he could salvage everything and do the clean-up for around the 5k my insurance would pay out. I told him my main concern was the carpet, because it was an 8k carpet that the previous owner just installed 2 years ago. He said no worries that they would be able to salvage it, that the backup was all clean water and they would lift the carpet up, and allow the fans to blow it dry. He then called me later and said the padding could not be saved, because it was like a big sponge and we would not be able to get all the water out of it. So their plan was to remove the pad. He asked for my permission, to discard the padding. I agreed. I again asked him about the sump pump and he said it was fine and nothing needed to be done with it.

I still don't understand why he told us the main line was clogged and had to be pumped out and then changed his story after the funds were not available. They came the next day, my appointment was at 8:30 am, at 10:30 AM I called to see where they were, he said they got caught up on a job and were on their way. At 1:00 pm I called again and asked where they were and James said a tech would be calling me any time and let me know when they would arrive. At 2:26 pm, no call from the tech. I called James and received no answer. I texted him and received no response. At 3:00 pm a van arrived and they sat outside for 30 minutes. I then went outside and asked what was going on. They stated that they were just helpers and don't normally do this job, Roto-Rooter was shorthanded and they were there to help at 3:45-4 pm. The real tech came. He had the guys start the removal of the padding.

The helper came back from his truck with a pliers and the tech asked him what he was doing with that, he stated he didn't know how to pull up the carpet. I have a picture where he used a crowbar to get the baseboard off the wall, which they broke. So now I have a big hole in my wall where he did that and several broken trim pieces. Since I am not a professional at this matter and Roto-Rooter stated they were, I let them do their thing while we kept an eye on them. They left at 7 pm. with the padding and put the fans in place and 2 dehumidifiers for the whole house. He started to put holes in the walls in order to spray the micro bacterial solution that would kill any mold. He stated the moisture levels were too low and it was not necessary to spray for mold. The tech said someone would call to stop by and check on the progress the next day. They left around 7 pm.

No one ever checked on the progress the whole time, ever. The floor or carpet was not touched with any deodorizer or treatment according to the contract. No cleaning was done whatsoever. They didn't suck any water out of the carpet either. First thing I noticed was they put all my furniture and beds back on the wet carpet. Before the job was started, Monday James told us to save the furniture we needed to put everything on cardboard or up on wood blocks. Which we did. When they finished they put it all back down on a wet carpet. Second I notice how my carpet was ripped to shreds. Threads hanging everywhere and cuts that look like someone inexperienced cut it. Third I noticed a nightstand sitting with the door torn off and the door sitting on the top.

I also noticed a bookshelf in the bedroom that was an antique that the side were falling off and the shelf ready to collapse. No one told us they broke anything. I immediately sent picture to James **, who of course didn't reply. I never heard from him anymore as of today. James the field supervisor is no longer in the picture. I didn't know in the beginning that Roto would not be putting the carpet back down that I would have to hire an additional company to do that. I called out Dwight Ard from Ard Interior Installations, INC. He saw the carpet and said it was totally unusable, also stated the procedures they were using were doing absolutely nothing. Fans and dehumidifiers going with the carpet lying flat with furniture all over it would not dry the carpet fast enough where it would be salvageable. That no air is getting under the carpet to actually dry it. He wrote up his findings.

Dwight told us to take all the furniture out of the bottom floor so it wouldn't receive any more damage. We removed almost all of the furniture and stored it in our garage. I then called Roto-Rooter and spoke with Tracey **, from the corporate office in Schaumburg, IL. I told her the reason I called in the first place was due to a sump pump failure, and nothing was done to address this. She called someone back out which charged me $800 to replace my pump. She also arranged for a manager from the restoration department to call me back with my concerns, she said he would call me back on the 22nd. I didn't hear from Michael, until late on the 23rd. I told him how the carpet was destroyed and he said to get one more company out there to say it was not salvageable and then they would make it right by replacing the carpet.

On Saturday I got the second opinion, plus an estimate on how much it would be to replace it. This is the company that initially installed the carpet. FCA in Merrillville. On Monday, while I was at work someone from Roto-Rooter came to the house and said they were there to pick up the fans and dehumidifiers. They proceeded to take my carpet out of the house and scratched my walls taking it out. My partner asked where they were taking our carpet. The guy told him he was told to take it since the company was in the process of making it right for us, since it was damaged. This pickup process lasted 30 minutes. They scratched my walls while removing the carpet. They loaded up the carpet and the fans and left. My 80-year-old parents and partner thought since they were replacing the carpet they could have the old one.

I am the only one who owns this carpet and I didn't give permission for it to be removed. They asked before they removed the padding, why wouldn't they ask ME the owner of the carpet. When I found this out I called Michael and asked how long till I got payment. He stated they were now investigating my estimates and letters from the carpet professionals and they would get back to me. I received an email on Feb. 28th. In which they stated that they should have categorized my job as a category 3, and due to miscommunication on their end, they would not replace the carpet the insurance company should. That it should have been originally discarded. I told Allen and the Assistant GM Andrew **, that I would have never have had them do the restoration if the carpet would not have been saved. I would have done the work myself.

Andrew then explained he had to dispose of the carpet because there was a dog pee stain on it. I had 4 rooms of carpet plus a hallway, it didn't all have this so-called pee stains on it. It all didn't need to be disposed of? Again I never gave permission to have it removed let alone disposed of. It's my carpet. I told him I wanted my carpet back or it replaced. He stated Roto would not be responsible for the carpet, because it should have been discarded in the first place. It's funny the carpet was good enough to use till they destroyed it, then they decided to look for a way not to pay my claim. Why, when they pulled up the carpet, did they not feel it need to be discarded for safety reasons. It wasn't till I demanded it be replaced that they changed their story and said it should have been removed at time of padding removal.

They decided it was no good, 8 days after the fact. So for 5 days my electric bill is being totally overused with all this equipment I didn't need for that long. They then proceed to send me a pumped-up bill for over $4400 for work they didn't complete and what’s more they charged me for the same job originally quoted, to save the carpet. With the carpet out of my house and padding, I would not have needed 2 dehumidifiers and all those fans since they would not be trying to dry carpet, just the cement floor. The walls I was told were dry and didn't need any work to them. I was told the moisture levels were in range and he didn't need to apply the antimicrobial. They also did nothing to treat the floor. Just put the damp carpet back on the cement. At this point Roto-Rooter refuses to live up to their word and replace the carpet like he said. No one throws away carpet because a dog pees on it.

I'm sure they have a picture of a pee stain, which with the water sitting on it, would make the spot bigger, but it's my carpet, I would have had it professionally cleaned after it was dried and mold free. I had 4 rooms of carpet, every room didn't have pee on it. I could have, if they would have told me when they pulled up the carpet, made a decision on replacing a room or 2 if needed, and salvaged the rooms with no pee. The pee is a smoke screen for what they did and that is destroyed my carpet by cutting it to shreds. Why does it take 8 days to determine, yes we tore up your carpet but we should have 8 days ago removed it?

Original review: March 5, 2018

My old sump pump was making a weird noise so I called Roto Rooter. Peter came and installed a new one on a Thursday. That Sunday, my basement flooded due to sump pump failure, no power outages whatsoever! I called the company and they sent out Ben the field supervisor to look at the problem. After careful observation, he said that it was due to installation problems and that since Roto Rooter is fully insured it’ll take care of everything. I was very happy to hear that as my basement is the hub for the band that my boys have, with thousands of dollars worth of equipments.

First came the restoration people, ripped out the sheetrock two feet, put dryers all over. All the while I was in contact with Tim, the manager. He was very courteous and helpful. I made a list of all the damages that happened because of Roto Rooter installation issues and emailed to Tim. Today I get a call from Manny, the plumbing manager, saying that he won’t do anything about the damages and it’s a lot of “he said, she said” and will “try” to put the sheetrock back but won’t paint!! The sky just fell on me because I had at least $6,000 worth of damages if not more! There were guitars, guitar pedals, bass drum, drum pedals, to name a few very expensive equipments. Now Manny is telling me that Roto Rooter will NOT cover it, no questions whatsoever. So please beware of this fraud company. They will make a mistake, do a little for you and then turn their back on you! Unbelievable!!!

Original review: March 4, 2018

Had sewer lines clogged and called Roto-Rooter. Was most fortunate to have been sent Technician Reuben ** to do the job. The obstruction was way out about 80 feet, and in a short amount of time Reuben successful cleaned out the line. He was courteous, dependable, and extremely conscientious. It was a delight having such a highly professional and technician handling this job. Would highly recommend Roto-Rooter to all, and have nothing but praise for their outstanding employee, Reuben, Technician **.

Original review: March 4, 2018

On Saturday we called them and wanted them to come out because it seem that there was blockage somewhere which was coming back in my home. They lied and said two hour window, after numerous times they never showed up after a day in a half. Please, please take your business somewhere else. It’s not worth their lies!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

Water damage due to a failed hot water tank. Estimate was for "no more than $1300"--final bill was just over 2K, just to remove and replace the tank. Should have done that myself. Had them do the water mitigation due to the extensive leaking. Intentionally left equipment over the 3 days just for the unnecessary extra billing. And while it's an insurance claim, that's not good enough--I've been badgered and hounded by their collections over and over again--I'm figuring they wanted to get paid twice and then have me figure out how to get reimbursed. Never will I do business with them again--EVER.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

My lower toilet was overflowing. Told my wife to call around and find someone to fix it. She ended up with Roto-Rooter. 1st time they came they routed the sewer and it didn't work. They still wanted the $500 (outrages) or they could come back and try water jetting it and they would deduct the $500 from that and it would be $1000 (again way overpriced). I figured I'm into this far so okay. They came the next day of course the water jet that always works didn't. So now they say need to put a clean out in my yard what would $4500 after deducting $1000 for the water jetting.

Now they did this and everything is working now. But now I have huge hole in my yard (approx 4'x4' and 8" deep in some of it and they want me to pay Landscaper). What happened to the dirt they took out? If anything there should be too much dirt. Then I received their statement charging me the $500 for routing, the $1000 for water jetting, and the $4500 for installing the clean. Who knows how much for the dirt and sod to repair the lawn. So I'm paying over $6000 for job that averages $3500. And I can't get them to call me back!!! To explain the charges and the missing dirt. I will never refer or use them again. Thiefs!!!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

I had a very bad experience with this company. We had a leaking sewer line outside that needed fixed as soon as possible. My husband called Roto Rooter. They came out and told us they should be able to fix the problem just by snaking it and it would cost $440. When we asked about a discount they said they could give us $40 off (I saw later on their website that this is a standard discount for them). They snaked it but that didn't fix it so we were told it would cost an additional $4800 as they had to dig down and fix the trap that was collapsed. When I asked about a discount on that I was told it wasn't possible. The technician called someone and "locked our appointment in" for two days later.

Come 2 pm Thursday they were a no show. My husband called and was told there was some emergency with PECO and they weren't coming. But they never called us to let us know! Very unprofessional! They rescheduled for 1 pm the next day. They were going to push us off until the following Tuesday but remembered that we couldn't flush our toilets. I had been reading their reviews and was already not happy as I would not have called them in the first place. I knew I should have listened to my gut feelings. I called someone else and described the situation. They were extremely helpful and scheduled me for first thing the next day. In fact the job was completed by noon and I saved $1800!

After I cancelled the job with Roto Rooter the technician called and apologized and wanted to offer me a discount of $500. I still would have paid $1300 more than was necessary if I would have had them do the job. The technician was a nice guy and seemed like he knew his stuff but he wasn't the one who was going to do the job. If you have a simple job that can be done through the local office they might be able to handle it but be prepared to pay a high price. I will never use them again and I don't recommend them at all!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

I woke up to find my basement flooded so I emailed Roto-Rooter to set up an online appointment and it was supposed to be between eight and 12. They did respond back to me saying it be would be between 12 and five pm. OK I have to deal with it. My basement flooded! They did call by 11:30 am and said they were on their way. Great! I’m really really happy. So they did have to pump out the water. So the guy that was doing the job I’m not going to blame him. Had to leave to do another job because I can understand the water had to be pumped out. Came back it was probably around one 1:30 -2:00 pm, I was so excited that the problem was going to be solved. 9:48 PM the job wasn’t done yet!!!

He said he was going to have his supervisor come back and check out the situation the next day. I guess there was sludge anyways. He said they would be back the next day between 3:30 - 4 o’clock. No show. I called them and they said they’re really busy because there’s a lot of basements flooded. Yes I can understand that so I gave them the benefit of the doubt that they would call me the next day. Here I am. It’s almost 12:30 PM and haven’t heard anything from them! So if anybody is reading this do not use them. I called another company. They’re coming out and they’re going to use a Jetter hose which is like a pressure washer not like a man cave snake. They are the worst. I would never use them again and I suggest nobody else either. They’re just taking you for your money!!!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

Told them that there was a leak in the front yard. They sent a tech a that couldn't detect a leak. Suppose to send someone the next day at 4pm, that is suppose to be a leak detector. I called them at 4:30 to see if they were still coming. They inform me that they had to reschedule for the next day. Told them I would call someone else.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

Never again! I called Roto-Rooter to replace the approximately 3 feet of plastic tubing behind my refrigerator that had been chewed on by one of my kittens. It was leaking water. They arrived at 2:48, went to work and finished the job, including drawing up the paperwork, by 3:06. Charge? 424.65! Incredible. I probably could have replaced the plastic line myself. When I questioned the manager about the price on the phone he told me that he has no control over the price, Roto-Rooter's corporate sets the prices and they have to charge accordingly. I promptly emailed corporate and was told that they thought the charge was fair and basically I would have to deal with it. They did end up refunding me 85.00 because the plumbers who did the work didn't give me a price before they started the job. Well, I guess that's something but still an outrageous amount to pay for such a simple job. I will never use Roto-Rooter again.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

I called Roto-Rooter for an estimate to have someone come to our home to unstop a kitchen sink. They told me that they don't give estimates over the phone, but they come to your home and give a free estimate. Upon arrival the tech said they had a flat fee of $329 to unclog the drain. It took the tech 10 minutes to run a 15' auger down the sink and fix the problem. The tech did offer me a $55 discount off the above flat rate fee, but I find it mind boggling that this company knows in advance what their flat rate is, but does not quote it over the phone. If I had heard the initial cost, I would have definitely declined their services. Looking back, I still should have declined the service once the tech was here because even after the $55 was taken off, I paid $274 for 10 minutes of work.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

I had a nightmare plumber and had to find someone quick. I have kids and main sewer line backing up in house. Brad answered all my questions and took time to educate me on whole process happening! They charged a flat clean line rate, instead of hourly! Most sit the clock out hourly and receive hefty bill, on top of labor! They told me the reason it happened, and back it up with camera. They just don't puncture block, they scrap it all clean. It was so professional and fast! I will only use Roto-Rooter for now on! Thank you!!!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

They are like robbers or wolves, they will rob you blind and make you feel terrible after you trust them to do a job for you. I had done business with these people years ago and they were decent then when it came to charging their customer but today after writing a huge bill of $2000 for a small job they did in an hour, I have learned my lesson not to trust them or have them do any kind of work for me. When I called to object, the rep after talking to management, told me that they made a mistake and still charge me $970 for a job that should be no more than $300.

Roto-Rooter Company Information