Roto-Rooter

Compare Online Bathroom Fixtures & Plumbing Companies

Research top Online Bathroom Fixtures & Plumbing Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

On April 11 I called Roto-Rooter because there was some water spilled on the ceiling from the water faucet. I called while I was on work when service tech arrived my home. He called me and said I need to have water restoration service. Then I asked for the estimate but Mr. James ** (tech) said my homeowner insurance should cover (no price estimates). I gave him insurance phone number, Mr. James told me my deductible is 500 dollars rest will pay by insurance (lied) then I was agreed to begin the work over the phone. My wife at home signed the work order. There was no price estimates written (TBD). Next day insurance company's agent came to inspect. He said my deductible is 2500 dollars. I was shocked. The house was hot because they left a air mover and dehumidifier, my 9 yr. old son couldn't breath.

I called Roto-Rooter to stop service and remove all equipments after 24 hours. The ceiling was dried already. My credit card was charged 500 dollars on the spot. Now they called me for another 729 dollars. It's ridiculously overprice. I denied to pay the whole amount but they reported to the debt collector. Roto-Rooter have no manners. They lied about the insurance coverage. I didn't know my deductible because I never have to use homeowner insurance. I would not work with Roto-Rooter if they told me the truth. Do not call Roto-Rooter, they will rob you blind. They should be brought to the justice for their dishonesty. I will write reviews all social media and will report to better business bureau. My friends family will never use them. I hope they go out of business.

My mother's drains were clogged up so she called RR. They were supposed to come in the afternoon but arrived at 8:30 AM. My mother (who is 90) let them in and they ran a video where they said it stopped at the foundation and that the pipe had shifted; it could be roots but likely the pipe and that they needed to dig outside. They gave her an estimate of $8,800 and had her initial a work order (I'm assuming since I was not there). My sister was sleeping through all of the and when she called I got a hold of RR and cancelled the work. They had already sent out a worker to mark for gas lines and the excavation crew was on their way. Needless to say they wanted to start digging ASAP. The work order also said they would dig a hole 5' long and 7' deep. If there was more damage they would likely have to replace the entire sewer line to the street at considerably higher cost.

I then called the person who had come over and asked why he did not first try to snake it out? At first he said he couldn't see clearly in the video because of the sewage, then said that he could not get his 200 pound machine down the basement stairs. I asked if they had a smaller machine and he said no, that maybe somebody else did. I called a plumber right after that and he came to the house and cleared the blockage with his snake/machine. This borders on fraud by taking advantage of somebody who doesn't know any better. I would stay away from Rooter with a 10 foot pole.

My hot water heater was leaking so I tried my plumber. He was tied up and so I called Roto-Rooter since they were a national company. They sent someone out within a couple of hours or so. They said I need a new hot water heater which I knew. They called around to find one to fit my closet and they had to go and picked it up and would returned the next day.

I have a modular home and I found the same water heater and the price was $500 plus tax. They charge me $871.62 for heater which is about 75% then charge me $650 labor which was too high. Then the overflow line from pop off they had two kinks in the line and had to come back and fixed that. Replaced the gasket on bowl charge $150. My bill was $1691.57. The only thing good about this was the two techs were very nice and clean. I would not use them again because it was entirely too high.

Drain clog removal - Did the job. Only took about ten minutes. The charge was $288.00 less a forty dollar coupon. Super pricey considering I got price bids for the same thing for $150.00 and $100. So should have used other companies. Way overpriced!! Especially for Seniors.

I am a handyman and had bath cabinet ready for serviceman. He looked at situation, four feet to main drain. Gave me estimate which I misread and being senior did not hear correctly. We moved into this property 3 years ago and drain was slow. We used plunger and improved it. When I remodeled, placed new toilet, sink and cabinet. There was in trap extensive hair, someone washed their hair in sink. By previous plunging pushed some hair in drain pipe and over time started to slow again. We used plunger again and sucked it back up to stopper unknown to me. I gave up and called crooked Roto-Rooter. He estimated $256.95 which I did not realize, all he did was remove stopper and remove a big wad of hair. He had no mercy, evidently sent my OK to crooked Roto-Rooter and I was stuck.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Roto-Rooter?

After talking to first technician that came out to clean our 3 rain drains, went with the jetted (water) and camera for $700+ dollars for 2 hours. The technician came out to clear the drains by jetting (very high water pressure), which can tear up your black drain pipes and Roto-Rooter is not responsible. We explained that the drains had been previously installed prior to us moving in the house. We had no idea where the drains were connected to when pointing to where the water comes out onto the property out of the drains. The one drain on the right side of the property was hooked up to two downspouts and had clear clearance. Then the left side of the house had two drains. One goes to the back of the house up a hill, who knows where it ended. Time was running and did not want to spend more than $700+ dollars to find out where it ended. Probably in our neighbor's yard somewhere.

The last drain went to a downspout. He did run water in the drain that the downspout was connected to. The water was trickling out at the other end. But it is weird that the tech tried to jet the drain line at the other end and all that came out was mud and big rocks. He had gotten as far as about 6 feet. He appears to be jetting the ground and that's it! No camera was put up this drain to see what the issue was and if it had a drain pipe that went all the way up to where the jetting was hitting soil. All he could do is send someone to give us a quote to dig up and re-install the drain. Heck no! I think it would be very cost effective for the customer, that the camera be used first to see what issues there could be.

Also, if a drain does not need to be cleared that would benefit the customer as well, so that the drain pipe doesn't get torned up. After he left, I reached in the drain and the drain pipe was only about a foot long. I pulled it out and reached up even further and I could feel hollow ground, no piping. I have since filled in the hollow ground with 80 pounds of top soil, to keep the ground at the top from sinking. I am sure there is still more hollow ground that needs to be filled in, but it was beyond reach. I believe overall, $700+ dollars was a waste of money.

On 05/29, I called Roto-Rooter to change the Fill Valve and Flush stopper because it would not fill tank. They were prompt which is a plus. The repairman very quick look at the toilet and stated, "Yep it need to replace it." He says I might have some parts for it and started to get them. I said "Wait, How much this cost?" He says, "$300.00". I say, "WHAT?" I told him, "The only reason I called you because I recently had back surgery. No thank you, I'll wait until I can do it". He asked me, "What did you want to pay?" which tells me he inflated the cost. I said, "Thank you but no thank you." I would tell customers to "BEWARE OF THIS COMPANY".

I have tried to get service from Roto-Rooter 3 days in a row. The first time was in the evening, and they said they don't have any plumbers in the area, so they scheduled an appointment the next day which was fine. The next day rolled around and they called two times to say they were running behind. The third time they called, they said no one could come out. Now I'm pissed! So they said they would be there the next day between 10-2 and they call again this day to say they don't have any plumbers in the area. At this point I needed to cancel to find another plumber.

No one at this company cares about keeping appointments or customer service. They actually got mad at me for being upset, pretending like they aren't doing anything wrong. These service calls are for my tenants, so I cannot wait around for Roto-Rooter to do whatever they feel like. IF YOU MAKE AN APPOINTMENT YOU KEEP IT!!! Completely unprofessional. I will never use this company again. I need a reliable company that actually does what they say. I only gave one star because I can't do 0. I will be posting reviews on every other website I can, because people need to know what they are getting themselves into. My company has spent a couple thousand dollars using Roto-Rooter and it blows my mind that they would treat reoccurring customers like this.

On May 6, 2017, I called Roto-Rooter company and asked to send a professional to replace less than one yard of cold water pipe and almost 10-inch hot water pipe. The work was non-emergency one, which took the guy from Roto-Rooter 40 minutes to complete. I was charged $569 which is ridiculous. The next day

I called Roto-Rooter and complained of their predatory charging practices. The receptionist lady promised that somebody will call from their company in two hours to discuss with me on my "concerns" on the issue. Nobody ever called. On May 9, 2017, I again called the company and asked to send a plumber to fix bathtub leaky faucet naively thinking, that after I had complained of their enormous charging rate they will curb their appetite. My mistake.

Though I had beforehand bought new faucet cartridge, had drilled out the rusty screw on the handle and removed the handle, I was charged $256.02 for only taking out the bonnet nut, which I could not do for myself. I don't blame Roto-Rooter employees for charging their customers astronomically high rates, as they are ordered to act so by their superiors, by the greedy company owners. I warn other naive as myself seniors and young customers. Stay away from this rip off company, as there are hundreds and hundreds of honest and professional companies to do these kinds of jobs much cheaper, you should only look for them, which alas, I had not done by mistake...

Called Roto-Rooter in Adrian, Mi for clogged drain that I had put some celery leaves down the garbage disposal. Owner who scheduled appointment never gave me quote and when questioned Brian, the tech who came out, said he was told owner had given me quote. I should have asked for quote up front, tech said, "I hate when he doesn't give quote then I have to argue with the customer." Maybe if tech would give quote this would not be a problem. The tech was here long enough to charge 310.00 for hour and half. I told him to quit. I thought something was funny when he said there was the worst build up he ever saw. I had a new sink with pipes under sink put in last year. I am very careful what I put in garbage disposal and I clean my drains once a week with baking soda and salt and hot water.

When I questioned to see the sludge from drain he said there was some on rag in truck. Towels were wet under sink with some dirt looked like dark sand don't know if it was from his machines. After he got his machines to go he said he heard something from sink. And what you know sink was unplugged. I will never call them again. If you call them get quote and watch them every minute to see if anything comes from drain. I have no doubt I was taken advantage of.

Mike ** came out at night around 10pm. He told me he would have to make a small pin hole in the wall to fix outside faucet. He put a 10x10 cut in wall. I wish he would have told me instead of writing in the dark on a contract I didn't have a copy of and then charged me an extra $50 for parts. A bunch of lies. Call to complain and management was just as bad. Oh and he said, "We don't fix the hole, that's on you."

We called Roto Rooter because of its well established name in the business. A technician came to the house and without providing us with a diagnosis or an estimate proceeded to maintenance our plumbing without our authorization. He then presented us with a bill for $500. When the shop was contacted (Newburgh, NY Edward Lang), the owner Edward Lang was sarcastic, unprofessional, belittling and argumentative. We have had to try to settle our complaint with the corporate office due to the owner's inability to appropriately navigate the situation.

About two weeks ago, I called Roto Rooter because the main sewer line in a house that I own appeared to be blocked. (I diagnosed the problem, and my diagnosis was correct.) The RR tech arrived quickly, though he did not call in advance as I was told he would by the dispatcher. And he cleared the clog-- tree roots that had penetrated into the main sewer line. He worked for about an hour, and the charge was over $500! He informed me that he had no flexibility on the pricing, and that whether I wanted it or not, I would be charged for a video examination of my main sewer line at some point a few weeks from his repair. This is absolutely predatory pricing. All the worse since the tech gets under $100 for the job, despite having to provide his own van and all his own tools.

Forget Roto Rooter... Find a local plumber with a motorized drain snake, instead. Still worse, though I've complained regularly, I got only one perfunctory response promising to "take care of this." Then, nothing. When I emailed again about the earlier promise, I got cc'd on an email to another bunch of employees in Boston, who were supposed to contact me. They still haven't written a word. This is the worst kind of corporate irresponsibility. I hope they quickly go down the drain...

Roto-Rooter charged a huge fee and did not solve the problem. In addition, they quote an even bigger cost to jet out the main sewer drain. By all accounts, this is BS! I have since found out that Roto-Rooter is a very expensive company compared to others. Now I have to pay another plumber to come out and find/solve the issue. Based on their service and the fee charged, I don't recommend Roto-Rooter.

I had a man from Roto-Rooter come to my home today because my bathroom sink wouldn't drain. He spent 10 minutes getting equipment out of his truck and snaking the clogged drain. That's all 10 minutes. He charged me $467.69 to do this. This is Highway robbery. Had I known he was only having to do that I would never have signed the paper. I am an elderly, handicapped woman and your firm has taken advantage of me. I will certainly bring this exorbitant price to the attention of the Attorney General. This amount is ridiculous. I have already posted this information to all my friends and their friends in social media.

I've had to hire plumbers on three different occasions for work in my current home. They have all charged me $150/hr. I can rationalize that rate, even if I don't love paying it. Roto-Rooter, on the other hand, charged $485 to snake 20' of tub drain. (From estimate to clean-up the job took 40 minutes.) They wanted an additional $265 to snake a sink drain. When I protested the price, it dropped to $150. I declined to have that job done because I was feeling so ripped off. The charge was such a shock that I called the main office just to make sure that the plumber they sent out wasn't running some sort of hustle. When I stated that I usually pay $150 an hour, the person with whom I spoke said their hourly rates is $269. I told her it was weird then that I was charged $485 for 40 minutes of work, an effective rate of $647/hr... She then said that $485 was, in fact, their charge for a sewer line cleanout. My project did not involve a sewer line cleanout at all.

Friend (Single female customer) called RR for estimate on dishwater/sinkerator drainage problem. Serviceman provided estimate of $485 labor and $130 parts (?? All parts come with new sinkerator) if customer bought sinkerator (Cost $75) to replace bad sinkerator which serviceman said would fix drainage problem. I installed sinkerator for friend in less than an hour and new sinkerator did not fix dishwater drainage problem. Turns out bad drainage motor in dishwasher ($450 to replace, installment included). So serviceman wanted to charge $615 to install a customer-bought sinkerator that took me less than an hour to install and didn't fix problem. Total cost of non-plumber friend to fix problem: $525 for new sinkerator and new dishwasher. Roto-Rooter is a SCAM! Be aware and get more than one estimate from 2 different companies!

Once the appropriate service member arrived, around 6:30 p.m., the required work (replacing one of the master bath sink faucets) was swiftly and professionally completed by Bruce, Tech #**. Unfortunately, our scheduled appointment was for between 8:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. The first service member arrived at 1:30 p.m. and promptly informed me that he could not complete the required repairs and another service representative would need to be called. I had to constantly call the dispatch personnel to get updates on when or if another service tech was coming.

Flush Master in tank was taking 1 hour to fill tank full. They came and scrapped a little hard water deposit off in 10 minutes and charged my senior parent $250.00. I will leave as many reviews as I can to warn others about their dishonesty. Better call another company. Service was last week. I am very upset about this.

Short and to the point... Took off work TWICE to wait for Roto-Rooter. The first time slot was noon-4. They called after 5 pm and they were sorry but behind and would be there soon. They NEVER showed up. Called about 9 pm and offered to come out. We declined. Was given a $75 off coupon for them not showing. We set up another appt for a few days later; this one was for 8am-noon. They called after 10 am and said they were running late. They NEVER SHOWED UP!!! We called to get a status check at 1:30. They said their tech was running behind. How are you "running behind" if you're already an hour and 30 minutes late??? The customer service rep was VERY RUDE. She needs guests relations training... actually, she should be taken off the phones. Anyway, NEVER going with them again. Such a waste of time... and a waste of effort.

DO NOT GET SCAMMED BY ROTO-ROOTER. Wife at home with kid while husband was at work. On Thursday morning the technician arrived on time, said he couldn't get his rod all the way to the house so he called his field supervisor with a camera. Supervisor, Greg **, arrived promptly, ran the camera, looked at the sewer line from inside the house and said our problem was a collapsed/broken pipe at the house, quoted $5300 to replace with new cleanout at broken pipe. He said they cleaned out the tree roots and we could use the shower and toilets but not flush down the toilet paper due to potential clog on broken pipe. We were charged $429 to clean out the line, but if signed contract they wouldn't charge for rodding. We opted to call three other plumbers for quotes and pay the clean out fee.

The first company came out that same night, ran the camera through and showed us the sewer still had roots and there is no broken pipe. We called Roto-Rooter first thing next morning, they sent out another plumber that evening who couldn't do anything without charging us $400+ because Thursday's rodding was a "no guarantee". On Saturday the company sent out the first technician with Greg ** to finish the job they started. He again tried to tell us that our problem was the broken pipe and not the roots. Needless to say he didn't do anything that day due disagreement. Said he wouldn't camera the line again without charging us $425.

Sunday/Monday we couldn't get a hold of anyone at Roto-Rooter, and no one returned our phone calls from local office and corporate. Monday the third and fourth plumbers came out and told us the roots are still clogging the sewer line, and we don't need to replace the pipe as it's not broken. Roto-Rooter management on Friday evening said we would have Greg's video emailed on to us on Saturday, Greg said we would have it on Monday. Still don't have a video from roto rooter showing a broken pipe.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Tech experienced and nice. Claim that quote free, however, before even looking would ask you to sign 269$ for assessment. I signed, but would recommend to decline and send them away. Their business practice is unfair and misleading, as once you allow them to assess for this amount likely you would take whatever price they offer. I would never use them again. They are very very much expensive. Beware.

Horrible, single women beware!!! This was June 2016, and I will never forget. The rude Snohomish county plumber made a big deal about some garbage in my well house. I don't have garbage pickup. Anyway, he said it would cost 1500! To replace a fitting. I got a second opinion it wasn't even the fitting. It ended costing me less than 300 from the other plumber. If I would have gone with Roto-rooter, I would have spent 1500! And not even fixed the problem!!!

Contacted Roto-Rooter because I saw so many ads. Thought they were reputable and fair. My mistake. I should have checked the reviews online. Problem: Clogged kitchen drain. Needed a snake to get in under the disposal. Should be a 15 mins job with the right tools. What happened: Called the Roto-Rooter 800 number. They were very polite but would not quote a price. Said the plumber will inspect and quote. That wasn't true. Because there was a price list for services. Plumber comes in on Fri afternoon. Takes a look and quotes $450 for the services. But will do it for $349 because he can give me a discount. Given that I have a party on Sat morning I decide to cough up the money. Ugh. I feel like I was robbed.

I had seen the local plumber quote $125 for the same job. Guy does a good job. Very nice service. Then he says if you give us a good review then they will run a lottery and may refund your service fee. That is just wrong! I wonder how many people will write a good review hoping to win the lottery while misleading other customer! Anyway, I am kicking myself for not comparing their prices with other vendors. Unclogging a drain is not rocket science. It should not cost 450 bucks. Hope you don't make the mistake I made!

******* Published on other site: https://fresno.craigslist.org/lbs/6006288450.html *****

Roto-Rooter charged Farmers Ins. over 4k to do some plumbing work at my sister's house. Then 378 dollars to my brother in law (a Disabled Vietnam Vet) to replace 3 water shut off valves, 15 dollars parts and 20 minutes labor. Clog not fixed, Roto-Rooter called back, could not clear clog, advised brother in law it was a 7 thousand dollar job to clear clog and charged him an additional 235 dollars for visit.

I called Aaron's pumbing who cleared clog within ten minutes at a cost of 75 dollars. I also had to remove and reinstal the three water shut off valves as Roto-Rooter technician failed to use teflon tape or plumbing Dough. Contacted manager Tom complaining who was willing to look at the 235 dollar visit but not the 378 shut off valve charge. Upon advising him I'd be forced to contact. The BBB, his reply was,"Call The President of the US if you want, I don't care". I had no idea my President works for Roto-Rooter. Purpose of this statement; Do not call your so called friendly neighborhood plumber (Roto-Rooter) for plumbing needs. Will rob you blind. My new name for them; ROB NO ROOTER.

I had a water leak at home. The water below the sink in the first floor had leaked and came down to the ceiling. I called to Roto-Rooter. They were supposed to tell there is a charge for visiting of $115 which I wasn't aware of. A guy stopped by at door, still said nothing about a charge, looked where the leak was. He didn't touch pipe, he said there was no issue. He mentioned that there could be something above the ceiling the water is leaking and left my home. I got an invoice for $115. When I talked to manager about the invoice over phone, he said that's their policy not to tell the charge of $115 upfront, but needs to be paid. This I think is unacceptable.

Serviceman arrived at residence and asked what problems I was experiencing. I stated bathroom and kitchen were backing up. He then quoted 250.00 and what method of payment I had for services. He unclogged bathroom and then said he couldn't clean the complete sewer line because of roots and showed me bathroom was now draining. He said he would bring invoice to me to pay and sign. I asked about kitchen and he stated it should be working. I said I wanted kitchen checked. He told me it was a separate charge and he had cleared sewer and kitchen should be working. He then checked kitchen sink and found it was clogged and unclogged drain line and charged 110.00 extra. I am disappointed with lack of clarity for charges and attention to services that were asked for.

We have a main line clog. We had a couple other plumbers look at it and let us know what needed to be done. The other plumbers were very busy and let us know that Roto-Rooter could probably get to it faster. So we called Roto-Rooter. They showed up said that they could not fix the problem because we do not have a main cleanout and that the toilet was not an option. Other plumbers explained that toilet may be an option and told us where a clean out could easily be cut.

Roto-Rooter guy says that he cannot do that and said we would need to wait until spring to dig a hole and cut a clean out. This would be about $3000.00. Then tells us that he needs to charge a $50 service fee. HE DID NOTHING. But then remembers that he drove and needs to charge a $60 travel fee. He drove 26 miles because we live in a small town. So I was charged $110.00 for nothing. My dad called after hearing this and asked about the plumber's credentials. Based on the response he doubts the plumber was licensed.

We called because our laundry room and garage were flooding. We had called 2 years ago with the same problem and spent a lot of money then. We paid 235 for the services (on Saturday) and we should have denied paying upfront this time because they did not have the camera to see what was causing it. It was an incomplete service. They then said they would call back on Monday to come out. I heard nothing all week and called the following Saturday. I should not have to hunt anyone down to finish a service we paid for. When I spoke with them on Saturday I was told I would get a call as soon as we hung up from someone who will come out that day. We hung up and I received no phone call all day.

I received a call on Sunday instead. They asked when they could come out. I told them Tuesday after 5. This was set up. Tuesday came and went without a call. Then we received a call Wednesday asking if they could come out Thursday. There was no explanation of why they did not show up or apology. At this point we said enough is enough.

I have been trying to get a hold of a manager since. I do not want the camera as it is now a month later. I want our money back for an incomplete service. It is ridiculous that I cannot speak to a manager and every time I call (which has at least been a dozen calls) I am told a manager will call me within the hour and every time I receive no call. We will never use Rotor-Rooter or recommend them to anyone. We felt that we were being very patient and understanding and now we are DONE. Finish a job you start and do not make appointments and not show up. This is the worst customer service we have ever experienced.

The technician was ok, installed the pump. But upon completion when he gave us the final total for work done, I was not happy. How are you gonna charge $505.00 for labor, when the parts costs 269.00, almost double for labor than what the part cost. I feel they should have told us the cost of labor before he started. I've had this work done before from a plumber and never paid this much. I will not use them again. Their labor cost are outrageous, I feel like I was robbed.

Roto-Rooter Company Profile