1.24/5
  • 1 star
Based on 70 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Roto-Rooter

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 18, 2018

387 Roto-Rooter Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I have never posted any bad review and this is going to be my first because my experience with Roto-Rooter has been the worst experience ever. Issue: Toilet leaking water from the base (floor), blocked, and bad odors coming from it. First Appointment-1st technician: He did not solve the issue. The technician removed the toilet and installed it again. The toilet still leaking and blocked. In addition, the technician left the toilet loose not installing it appropriately. Second Appointment-2nd technician: I called the next day. The second technician removed the toilet, re-installed it but toilet still blocked and bad odors coming from it. Leak solved... at least one less issue... Third Appointment-3rd technician: I called a couple of days after the previous technician did his job as toilet was blocked and smelly. Please note no one has been able to use this toilet at all.

Technicians were not able to fix all the issues at once. The third one was so rude that when he removed the tank cover it fell on the toilet breaking the cover and the actual toilet. I had to order a new toilet and re-schedule the technician for a week after to install the new toilet. Fourth Appointment-3rd technician: The technician showed up with a man that is not a Roto-Rooter employee. That man was standing next to the technician doing nothing in my private home without any authorization. This is completely unacceptable! I am hiring the services of Roto-Rooter and they are liable of their employees and any non-authorized person the technician brings to a job. Finally new toilet was installed! Once installed the toilet was doing a strange not usual bubbling sound when flushed. I brought it to his attention and he assured me it will eventually stop doing that noise.

The toilet seemed that it was not flushing properly... not entirely blocked but water did not go down easily. Keep in mind this toilet is a guest toilet. Family members rarely use it. I went on vacations and when I came back I found out the toilet blocked again and strong bad odor coming from it especially when flushed. I called the company a Saturday and scheduled the same 3rd technician that did the last job to come on Monday from 8 am to 12 pm because he knew what he did and I did not wanted a new technician to start guessing on what could be the issue. Monday: Supposed to received the technician from 8 am to 12 pm. At 11:40 am I received a call from them letting me know the technician (anyone and not the one I requested) will not be able to go and that they will be calling me back in a few minutes. My husband called them twice and they could not tell when the technician will show up.

At 5:45 pm I noticed I had a missed call from them. I called them back and spoke to Amber. Conversation with Amber: I explained to Amber all the above. I requested her to make an appointment after 6:00 pm any weekday with that particular technician; the 3rd one. Or the following Saturday/Sunday at any time. Amber responded that she was not able to schedule an appointment with that technician because she did not have the schedule. I asked her to please note in the system that I was requesting that particular technician on the dates/times previously mentioned and once the schedule were up to send me a confirmation. Nothing complicated, right? At the end I am still with the same issue and I need Roto-Rooter to solve it. She told me I needed to call again in a few days as she is not able to make any notes in the system.

Her response was unacceptable because they have not adequately complied with the service... not solving the issue, missing an appointment, and not scheduling the technician I requested. I explained her that the least I expect was that they make up for all the mistakes by simply solving internally to schedule the technician and that I did not have to call them again. Amber got upset and with very poor manners and extremely rude told me she cannot do anything and hooked up the phone to me. It is evident that Roto-Rooter not only do not have competent technicians they also do not have competent customer service representatives. I immediately called back and requested to talk to a "manager". His name David.

Conversation with David (manager): I complained about Amber's behavior and the poor services I have received from them. No apologies from his part. He seemed like nothing was important. He said he could not schedule the technician because the local branch has not put in the system the schedule. So to me at this point the whole situation is completely silly. They are a company and they have a unsatisfied client because of their evident poor service and not because I am playing difficult. But I have been extremely tolerant and patient with them. Basically, David could not take care of the situation. I had to directly request him to please contact the branch and make all the scheduling for me. After repeating to him for several times he finally agreed to send an email to the branch and get back to me in 10 minutes... I have been waiting for 3 days and not a single response from them. The whole situation is a joke.

Roto-Rooter is extremely unprofessional in every single sense. I will not be using them. Never again for my house or company. I will not recommend them to anyone. And I will make sure this review is posted in other websites so other people are aware and do not waste their money and/or go through such a bad experience.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

Waited for 4 hours for a phone call to have my drains cleaned out, received a phone call from the New Orleans branch that the tech was having problems at the last house and would be another hour or so, but that he would still be coming out tonight, somehow I missed the phone call from Roto-Rooter and I called 5 minutes later and was told that since I did not pick up the phone that the tech was sent to another client. Really, I have been waiting for 6 hours since the appointment, and the lady told me that it was company policy that if the customer did not answer the phone that the appointment was on hold. I would not use the Roto-Rooter company in New Orleans, as they do not take care of their customer's and have not customer service skills at all. Being a licensed insurance adjuster I would not recommend this company to any person that any type of customer service.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

I called Roto-Rooters on New Years eve day at my home in Bensalem PA 19020. I put potato peels in my garbage disposal, and it clogged the drain. I was dumbfounded when he gave me the bill for 440.00 to snake a drain. That is robbery! He was there for maybe 30 minutes, and he experienced no complications. The company totally took advantage of the situation. How do you justify charging that much money to snake a drain. Avoid this company at all cost. They're thieves with a license.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I will never recommend Roto-Rooter to anyone. They may have great technicians but I never saw one. I know for sure that their call center customer service is terrible. A pipe burst in my home. I called them late that night. Of course, they told me someone would give me a call but they didn't. It was late but if no one is available, don't give the impression that they are. First thing this morning I called. I was told someone from dispatch would call me when they get in. Guess what? They didn't.

When I called again, they told me someone would be at my home in the morning. No one showed, so I called in the afternoon. Then they told me that someone would be at my home by 2pm. Again, one came to my home. The next time I called they put me on hold and when they returned they told me that a manager would be calling me. I'm still waiting. Guess what, it still has not happened. There is something to be said for customer service and my experience with ROTO ROOTER WAS TERRIBLE. If they are swamped, they should say so. I can understand that but overpromising and underdelivering will have an impact on your reputation.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

I have used Roto-Rooter before with no problems. This time has been the complete opposite. I called for emergency plumbing help due to no running water. It has been below freezing for a few days, so probably frozen pipes. Since I live in a mobile home, plumber options are pretty limited because many plumbers do not work on them. I figured since I had used them before, I called Roto-Rooter. Apparently that was a mistake. It took multiple calls to get in contact with their dispatch to schedule said emergency service. Not the worst thing in the world, and I understand that they would be busy. I was scheduled for the following day.

About 30 minutes into my scheduled window, they called to reschedule for the following day due to being so behind. New window comes and goes with no word. I called, and was assured I would be helped that day. They just needed a tech to be free and that I would be contacted in an hour to hour and a half that they would be on their way. Three hours pass with no call. I call back and am immediately hung up on by the person who answered. I call again and was again assured of service that day as soon as a tech was free.

Not 20 minutes later, I get a call from their dispatch saying that they needed to reschedule and that their soonest time slot was 3 days away. So at that point I'm looking having waited about 5 days for emergency service. I lose my cool a little because that is a ridiculous amount of time to wait. The person from dispatch then threatens to completely cancel them coming out at all. I explain how long I had been waiting at that point and point out I have a child under 3 and have absolutely no running water. His response? Watch YouTube videos and fix it myself if I didn't want to wait. I'm not a plumber, and I don't think YouTube videos are the best way to get a crash course.

So I wait. That appointment comes, and they call to cancel and say that I should be called the following day to be rescheduled... again. Following day comes and goes with no word. The day after finally get the call... for an appointment about 2 days away. Which they do not call or show for at all. Following day, they call saying about how they have news people following them around and that they are doing free repairs... for non-mobile homes. Which they have on file that mine is. And once they are reminded of that fact, backpedaling and saying that it doesn't apply to us. That they will get to us when they get to us and good luck.

I call them back later to find out when they are even thinking of letting us know that we may be graced with their presence... only to find out that we are scheduled for an appointment for the following day that we were not told of nor agreed to the time of. I was told that a manager from dispatch would be reaching out to me (4 hours and waiting so far) and they would be opening investigations over how long we have been waiting and how we have been being treated by their dispatch. As of right now, nothing is solved and I don't see them keeping this appointment as well. I don't see an end in sight and I'm afraid of how much damage there may be due to them making us wait for so long. And they don't seem to care because we live in a mobile home.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Roto-Rooter?

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I requested the Roto-Rooter service to look at my water heater on Tuesday. They advised they would come to my house between 8-12. A little before 12; I received a call stating the rep will be late. After waiting 2 hours I finally cancelled. If this is any indication of how the work would be completed, I will get my services from your competition. Please look elsewhere for services.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

I am a business owner and called Roto-Rooter about having someone locate a cleanout for me. I was told they would be there between noon and 3 and I would get a phone call to meet him. I would also be given a price at that time. The service tech called me from my client's house so I couldn’t meet with him, I asked him for a price since he was there and he told me 475.00 over the phone. I told him we wouldn’t hire him at that price (I found someone to do it for 150.00) and he can leave. I then get a phone call from an unhappy client that the service tech knocked on her door telling her that I refused to pay him and she owed him 475.00$. Extremely unprofessional and no communication between dispatch and the service techs. Don’t waste a call on these guys.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

I requested Roto-Rooter to come to my residential home and check on the cause of our upstairs bathtub not draining properly. I was told by the operator that they would investigate and then give me an estimate of the cost. My wife and I were going to be out of town, so we left our credit card for payment with my mother-in-law, who was going to be home for the service. When we returned from our trip, my mother-in-law informed me that she had never been given a quote, the tech was there for 45 min. total, and charged a whopping $567 to clear one drain. When I called to find out why it cost so much, they told me that is the base rate to clear out a drain. Fixed the problem, but feel I did not receive $567 worth of service. Needless to say I will not use them in the future and also will make no one else in this area uses them as well.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

I called to have Roto-Rooter come out to snake my drain. I called on Friday and was told that no one would be out until Saturday. I got a call late in the evening and was told that the date had been pushed to Sunday. I received a call at 12:20 Saturday saying the plumber was on the way. He got here at about 12:40 and started trying to show me the rate book and I informed him it was still under warranty. He proceeded to snake the drain. He started at about 1:00 and didn’t stop until 3:20. I went downstairs about one hour after he started and asked what was wrong. He said he was hitting mud and he was trying to snake through it.

He proceeded to make the drain for another hour and 20 minutes (don’t forget this was free). I am a senior citizen and my daughter was not home at the time and I don’t know whether or not this had any bearing on the outcome. He used the larger snake and he had already told me that the larger end on the snake could tear up the drain pipes. When he walked out. He made a statement saying that he would not void my warranty because it still had a few days left. If the pipe was broken up, why didn’t the plumber that came in July let me know. Steer clear of Roto-Rooter. They are just after your money and business.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

My wife called ROTO-ROOTER for a clogged drain. They came out and took the toilet off the floor and snaked the drain that way. He tried for an hour and said the line was frozen. HE couldn't fix it so he said no charge. But, he had to come back to put toilet back the way he found it. He then gave my wife a new invoice and charged her 300 to put the toilet back the way he found it. WHAT A SCAM.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

Long story short, I had frozen heating pipes that was causing 2 of my zones to not work/heat up. I was advised by my burner company to hire a plumber to thaw my pipes. I contacted Roto-Rooter, because according to their website they provide the service of thawing pipes, and made an appointment. The technicians arrived as scheduled and were extremely nice, however they didnt seem to know exactly how to tackle my problem and attempted to work on it for 3 hours but could not find the freeze in my pipes and even after hooking up some sort of machine to my pipes for hours could not help.

So now I am out $540 and still have no heat. Desperate because the forecast is terrible and will getting even colder. I called my homeowners' insurance agent for a recommendation for another plumber. Well that gentleman came today and within 5 minutes, found the freezing spots and got my heat running and he only cost me $150. So my advice is to find a specialty plumber and do NOT use Roto-Rooter as they are VERY expensive and apparently advertise services that they can't necessarily provide.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

Filled out a contact request for Roto-Rooter to check out why my toilet isn't refilling. I believe it's a hose because I verified all internal parts. They finally called me back the next day @ 11am but due to me being out where I live they want $100 Location Fee and an Additional $75 for Holiday Fee. So before they look @ anything it's automatically $175 which is ridiculous. My house is just over 2 Years old. So obviously it's very limited to what could be wrong. Will never bother with them again.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

Had a very bad experience with Roto-Rooter. I had two leaky toilets. The plumber came and fixed it by replacing the plastic shank fill valve in both toilets, one handle and one valve. It took him 45 to 50 minutes. But he charged me 525 dollars for labor alone. So I had to pay 623.14 totally. This is insane. It was my mistake that I should have inquired him how much it would cost before asking him to fix it. But I was totally disappointed at the final cost. If you are calling Roto-Rooter please confirm the cost upfront or call some other company who does charge you hourly. I would never ever call Roto-Rooter again.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

I reached out to Roto-Rooter via their online appointment site. As per their ad it clearly stated that they would come out 24 seven and there would be no fee for the visit. They reiterate no service no fee. I promptly received a phone call from Treyvon one of their employees letting me know in a voice message that there would be a diagnostic fee of $285. I called back and spoke to a female and she told me yes it is a standard diagnostic fee and any work to be done would be additional. I asked her why would I pay a diagnostic fee for something that does not need to be diagnosed.

I have a 30-year-old hot water heater that needs to be replaced. I didn't ask to speak to supervisor by the name of Earl. I informed Earl of the conversation and that it seems ludicrous and then I was going on Facebook and then I was going to the Better Business Bureau and consumer affairs to complain about Roto Rooter's false advertising and how they are taking advantage of consumers some of which may be elderly or uneducated hard-working people that again are being taken advantage of by a company that is misrepresenting themselves. Furthermore I have read review after review and yet it does not appear anything is being done to fix this company's shoddy and shady business practices might I hear from you.

Janet,

Please email me your full-service address including zip code so that I can look into this as soon as possible. Please also include a copy of your review.

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

I use Roto-Rooter frequently for plumbing and drain issues with numerous rental properties that I own. While a little pricey I appreciate their timeliness and the professional relationship we have developed over the past 10 years. Recently I had a tenant call me with a clogged upstairs tub drain and reported water dripping through the ceiling of the downstairs bedroom. I was out of town so I called Roto-Rooter. The plumber arrived and dealt with the stoppage and repaired the faulty drain line joint that was the culprit with the water leak. The tech asked if I wanted their water restoration department to bring in fans and dehumidifiers' etc., I said yes. The restoration tech called me and stated it would be about $2,000.

I was not in town so had no idea how extensive the damage was, only that it had come through the ceiling and they had to remove part of the ceiling drywall. In the middle of a "blind crisis" I agreed to the work believing that Roto-Rooter would be fair and reasonable. Obviously I called my insurance company. They came out and did their estimate and sent me a check.

Roto-Rooter's charges were more than twice what the insurance company estimated them to be so they contacted Roto-Rooter to get an itemized bill in order to resolve the difference. The insurance adjuster reported that Roto-Rooter said they did not have an itemized bill since they didn't know this would be an insurance claim so had simply stated a price to me. I called Roto-Rooter twice asking for an itemized statement to get to my insurance company. They told me they did not have an itemized bill justifying the charges but could create one... (Does anyone see where this is going?)

Roto-Rooter sent me the statement claiming the charges for 5 hours of work (x 2 Techs = 10 hours labor total), 2 fans and 2 dehumidifiers, and antimicrobial spray was almost $2,500 and they gave me a "discount" down to $2,000. They charged me an "after hours charge" of $180, PLUS a labor rate of $158.50 PER TECH PER HOUR ($317.00/hour). They placed the equipment on a Thursday afternoon, checked the humidity levels on Friday and again on Monday, at which time they removed the equipment and sprayed. Almost $1,600 in labor plus the "after hours charge". Did I mention NONE of these charges include the almost $500 plumbing repair bill?! Price gouging in a crisis! I will be finding me another plumbing service.

Vince,

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

Our main sewer line backs up easily, we normally have a local company come out once a year to snake it for us and he charges $80. This year we neglected to have our normal guy come out and do it. I was at work when I got the call from my wife that the line was backing up, she tried calling our normal guy but he was too busy. My wife called Roto-Rooter and they came out. She explained to them what the problem and showed them where the drain was. They cleaned it out and took care of the problem but I feel like they totally took advantage of my wife. We were charged $469 for a simple service that once again we normally pay $80 for. When I got home and looked at the invoice there was no explanation whatsoever as to what was done.

At this point I'm furious that my wife was taken advantage of and ripped off so I called Roto-Rooter and asked to speak with their service manager. Whoever I talked to at Roto-Rooter didn't really seem too surprised that a customer was calling to complain. I explained to them the situation and wanted to know what exactly I was being charged for since there was no explanation on the invoice. She had asked me to send a picture of my invoice to them so they could figure it out. I have yet to hear anything back. I am still extremely furious about this situation and will never recommend Roto-Rooter to anyone. Christmas is right around the corner and the last thing I needed right now was to be ripped off almost $500. Also after reading some of the other stories about your company how dare you rip people off like this.

Scott,

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

We have had problems with a tree root blocking our drain for a few years. We understand what happens when the root grows into the pipe again. This last time, on Saturday, Dec. 2, our toilet and shower started to not drain again even after plunging and what not. Unfortunately, the toilet ended up overflowing and running into the carpeted hallway about 3 ft. My elderly father called Roto Rooter and they came out the next morning. We told them we knew what the problem was and they did listen to us. But they didn't use the right size tool when sending the cutter down the drain outside. It jammed. So they said they didn't know if it was a root or not. They kept trying different things and telling my father to go inside and run the shower to see if it would work and if it would drain. Well, it was draining, but it was overflowing the toilet at the same time.

The water ended up running into the kitchen, into our laundry room, which is far away from our bathroom. Then they came inside and said they needed to take the toilet off to use their bigger machine. They actually made my disabled father take the toilet off and help carry the machine inside. He is bedridden today because he pulled his back. That's not even the worst part. When they started plunging the toilet hole, feces water started backing up into the bathroom, all through the hallway and into the living room.

They kept on going even though they completely flooded our house 10x worse than what it was before. They did get the obstruction and everything started draining, however our carpet is completely ruined. There were feces all over the floor. They charged us $300 and no help in clean up. We had to work 4 to 5 hours to clean up. Our carpets are still wet and now our house smells like mildew and sewer. We can't afford to do anything about it. I just can't believe how unprofessional this was. Never using them again. The damage they caused will be more than the actual job itself. This was in Waveland, MS.

Lauren,

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I highly suggest when having this company come into your home to do work you have someone at the house with you. I was taking advantage of pretty bad today. I called Roto-Rooter this morning because our drain was backing up. They sent someone out to come check it out. He asked where our main drain is in the basement so I showed him and he said, "Okay this job will be about $475." This extremely busy mom of 3 dealing with a plumber said okay and went upstairs to make sure my kids were okay. He stayed down there for a few minutes. He then came up and said, "We are going to have to go through your kitchen sink because the pipes for the toilet are backwards."

He put the snake in the drain under the sink and pulled out the wipes my kids had flushed down. He then went to his truck to fill out the invoice, before he went he asked, "How are you paying?" I said cash and he said, "Oh I can give you a deal for paying cash." He came back in a few minutes later and said, "Okay I am suppose to charge you $500 but since you are paying cash I’ll charge you $299 plus tax so the total would be $323 but give me $423." I know this sounds crazy once I repeat it out loud. I just obviously had my hands full with my three little ones and didn’t realize what was happening. My husband was suppose to be home but he got stuck late at the Police Academy. He is livid to say the least. I just can’t believe that someone would do this to a person and I will be making formal complaints all over to hopefully make sure it doesn’t happen again in the future.

Mariah,

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

We called Roto-Rooter to snake our sewer after our toilet started backing up. We set up an appointment, price was to be $95. They arrived a bit later than the window (they said between noon and 2:00, they arrived around 2:45, no big deal). We discussed our problem with him; we knew that our son had been flushing paper towels and disinfecting wipes down the toilet instead of throwing them in the trash, as we had pulled a few out with our small hand-crank rooter when the toilet first started backing up. He asked us how old our house was, commented about how old that was, discussed problems our neighbors had with their main lines needing replaced. Then he went ahead and ran the rooter.

After doing the job he came upstairs and told us that he had "bad news." He had run the 100' rooter out all the way but couldn't fix the problem. He said he didn't find any wipes or tree roots, and said that we would need a camera to "find the problem," and said it would cost us $250. He said that the clay pipe had probably shifted and might need replacing. When I told him that I know that's an extremely expensive job, he reassured me that they can do it far cheaper than anybody else so I shouldn't worry about it. Not seeing any other solution, we agreed to the camera scope. He set up an appointment for a few hours later and charged us ahead of time for the camera scope, and as he was leaving he said, "Don't run any water down the sewer before the camera gets here or they won't be able to see the issue."

After he left my BS meter started ticking. His comments about needing to replace the sewer sounded more like a sales pitch than anything else, and there was no reason I could think of for him to even mention it. Upon reflection it simply made no sense that he could run 100' of rooter out if there was a problem blocking the line, since 100' from our toilet would be way past the main line and all the way across the street! After discussing this with my wife, we decided to run water down the sewer to see what would happen even though he'd told us not to. The water drained away fine; we flushed both toilets, ran the tubs, ran the sinks, and the water drained with no problems. So what was the problem exactly?

We called HQ to ask about this, and they said that the camera scope was "just to make sure there wasn't an issue," and offered a $100 discount on the camera scope. This was not what he had told us; he had said it was because there was a problem and that he couldn't fix the issue! In his words, it was "bad news." We told them we did not need the camera and canceled it; they refunded the camera scope fee since they had not yet deployed the workers to our house with it.

We have never had this problem with our drains backing up before, so it doesn't seem reasonable to push an expensive procedure to investigate it. I do not know what new "problems" might have been discovered had we kept our appointment with the camera scope, but I definitely would have sought a second opinion before ordering an expensive replacement sewer line. In the end, they did clear the drain for $95.00, which is a pretty fair deal overall, but for trying to up-sell us unnecessary procedures I am knocking off a few stars. We will find a local business if we ever have this issue again.

Kent,

Please email me your full-service address including zip code so that I can look into this as soon as possible. My email address is Pat.Swanson@rrsc.com. Please also include a copy of your review.

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

I had a pipe burst in my basement at about 11:30 at night. There was water shooting out of this pipe fast and hard. I had no clue how to shut the water off or exactly what was broke. I sent my daughter across the street to get our neighbor to see if he could help while I called Roto-Rooter. I was truly in a panic as my husband had recently passed and he always handled this kind of thing. My neighbor came over and was able to shut the water off, and Roto-Rooter said they would have someone out within an hour.

About 15 minutes or so later I received a call from the on-call plumber who informed me that it was midnight and they really didn't see the point of coming out this late. I said fine and hung up and then called RR back to cancel the service call. Don't advertise 24-hour emergency service if you're not going to provide it. I ended up calling another plumber and the problem was taken care of quickly and efficiently (Payton Plumbing in Springfield). I have used RR several times in the past, but they have lost any future business.

Jean,

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

We called Roto-Rooter and got an estimate for full bathroom work. It didn't take until the job was done for us to realize they bit off more than they could chew. They replaced our cast iron tub with an acrylic tub with a plastic backdrop that didn't even reach the top. The charged us 7,200, and gave us a 1,000 budget to buy the replacements for what was gutted. They left used blue tubing for the toilet piping and left a hole around it which we can now see through to the basement looking down!!! They left everything unfinished and used their fingers to run the corking so it was messy and smudgy. We had to pay another contractor to fix what they did not. For 6,200 in labor it left our bathroom worst of than before!!! The water reads hot when cold and cold when hot.

They left our basement ceiling opened with no repair! Now they will not answer or return any calls!! We didn't realize that they only did plumbing work until they couldn't deliver on what was promised. Now we are chasing them trying to get them re-estimate the job because the estimator said he did not know they would have left the job the way they did. Beware. They will say yes to any job even if they are not knowledgeable in that area! ATTACHED YOU WILL FIND PICTURES OF WHAT THEY CONSIDERED TO BE FINISHED WORK, excluding the white floor tiles, which was done by someone else. Does this look like 7,200 worth of work???

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

Today Roto-Rooter was scheduled to come to my home to give me a quote on a faucet install, garbage disposal re-connect, and water line to fridge for ice reconnect. The guy said they don't have a standard price for "a job like this" - that it would be an hourly cost of $275.00 per hour plus materials and it would take him at least 3 hrs. A definite no! I've had faucets installed for less than $100. Why would I pay someone in excess of $825? Not happening! A good honest plumber in this area would clean house as he/she would take all of the business from these jokers.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

We called Roto Rooter because our sink in the kitchen was clogged. The came out on 08/31/2017. The service man was at the home 3.5 hours. Over half that time he was struggling with a defective rodding machine that wouldn't run. Sine he couldn't get the sink cleared with the 3/8th rod he switched to a 1/2 inch rod and that's when he wore through the cast iron pipe in the basement and snapped of the union where the copper line meets the cast iron pipe in the foundation. Water was leaking all over the basement floor. The service guy called his supervisor that looked at the break and said they would fix it for $4900. They then loaded up the equipment and left me with an expensive repair.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

Was told that they would be there between 2 & 6. Called at 6 to check since they never showed. Was told the technician was not in today and would be out tomorrow. With the main water line to the house broke that was not an option. Called another plumber and the problem was fixed in an hour.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

Eric the Wentzville, Mo tech arrived and was unable to snake out line. Eric refused to go through kitchen drain as he said this wasn't the problem it was the septic. Yet he never walked out to the septic tank to verify this. He refused to follow my directions and I am very knowledgeable in plumbing and had I not been in the hospital I would have fixed it. He was unable to think of solutions like go through sink drain which has fixed this problem every time. Or he could have gone down through roof stack vent. Had to borrow my tools since he didn't have any. He left my family without a viable option and no way to use water or bathroom.

I have taught residential building trades including plumbing for 17 years. I could tell by talking to Eric that he was not very bright and had to have solutions handed to him since he was a mono-thinker and afraid to think outside the box. Instead he wanted to have us pay thousands of dollars to have system torn up - I fixed it when I got home from the hospital in 20 minutes going through sink - Eric do you want to come back so I can train you?

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

I've never worked with a rooter co. Waiting over 6 hour for companies rep. to call with my Appt. I called main office but got a cocky employee saying he didn't know when they would have a tech available. This company would rather overbook and leave customers hanging then learn how to route a day! Sorry about the inconvenience. It's not good enough when you lose a day's pay! They can take their third rate company and their ignorant employees and stick it where the sun don't shine. Bunch of toilet trash!

Updated: Just had Roto Rooters dispatcher call me back. Told me they weren't coming and it was below his pay grade to listen to complaints and if I didn't like it I could go somewhere else... Until I told him I was recording him... RIGHT Lloyd in Colorado Springs. Then he gave me a supervisor that wanted me to stay home for an 8 hour window. Keep I mind I missed a whole day's work today and was promised if I waited Lloyd the dispatcher would have it done today. Rude incompetent employees but no surprise read their reviews. Tell me how a company with 3 pages of complaints is A rated with the BBB. Somebody's toilets must be getting done free!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

The Roto-Rooter provided me the worst experience of any service company I had till date. Their so called professional plumber did not provide me any estimate before the job started (nor got our sign for approval), took 11 hours to install the heater, left 5-7 times in the job in the name of 'going to get some parts'. The invoice for installing a residential water heater was $4864.64. It was a ridiculous bill that I disputed. Worst experience of my life with any service company. I would not recommend them to anybody.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

On Dec 7th 2016, my husband who is elderly had called Roto-Rooter to fix a leaking toilet, their technician ** came and fixed the toilet and added extra work by scaring my husband and adding more stuff worth about $2200 by saying you need to fix it NOW OR YOU WILL HAVE YOUR HOUSE FLOODED RIGHT NOW. These are thugs, cheat, despicable people who prey on old and rip them. My water pressure was slightly higher than 60 psi and it has been that for the last 12 years that I have resided here and it did not require immediate fixing and ripping us off like their technician did. I want to warn people of this immoral rip off business.

Original review: July 29, 2017

I had an appointment today between 8-10 am. 10 am comes and no phone call or technician. I called to ask if somebody was going to be at my house because I took the day off work for my plumbing problem. I was transferred 3 times, and the 3rd transfer ended with a hangup. I called back and again I was transferred 3 times ending with a hangup. I was polite throughout my whole request, so I have no idea why I kept getting hung up on. I again called a 3rd time and just asked if someone would eventually be at my house for service. I requested not to be transferred, only for a yes or no. I couldn't get an answer for some reason? This is the most unprofessional service I've ever received from a company that I have ever experienced, and it's actually very sad. Now I'm going to be looking for plumbing services on a Saturday last minute. I bet it'll be real cheap! Thanks Roto-Rooter. You're the best.

Original review: July 27, 2017

We recently noticed that water was coming into our basement. We called in one plumber who looked into it and claimed that our kitchen drain line was clogged and thus caused water to back up and leak through the drain line. They said that we needed to have the line unclogged out to the main sewer line and said they didn't have the equipment to do it but recommended that we contact Roto-Rooter since they did. I called up the company and made an appointment for July 8, 2017. The service person reexamined the drain line and said that we needed to replace the drain line which was under a concrete slab. They said that they would have to break the concrete to get to the pipe. They said that it would take a day to do the work. They quoted me $3200 for a day or $1800 for a half day plus parts. They couldn't start the job but would come back the following day to start the work.

I told them that I couldn't do it then since I was going on a business trip for a week. We agreed that they would come back on July 15, 2017. They said that they were concerned about the moisture in the basement and called their mitigator to come and take a look at it. They said that the mitigator would handle the insurance part of it. After the service person left the mitigator showed up about an hour later without calling to say they were coming. They wanted to come in the following day and start to put in drying equipment, tear out the damaged wood panels in the basement, etc. I said that I couldn't because I was going away. The mitigator then implied that I should cancel my trip because of potential mold issues. They said that I had to call my insurance company and explain the situation which I did.

On the scheduled day 2 technicians came to start the work. They moved the sofa out of the room but placed the wall unit against an opposite wall. About 2 hours later they told me that they would not be able to finish but would have to come back the next day because the drain had to be replaced completely to the main drain. Of course I would have to pay for another day. They then told me it would cost $3600 per day and not the originally quoted price. Shortly after they told me that they could finish the job the same day if they could bring 2 or 3 additional people and work until 7 or 8 PM. After lunch 1 additional person showed up and started to help. About 3 hours later they were finished! I asked how much they were going to charge me and they said for 2 days! I said how could they charge me that since they only brought in 1 technician and they were done by 4 PM?

They explained that the person they brought in was an "engineer" and not a "helper" that they were able to finish quicker. They never originally explained to me that there were 2 types of employees. They called their office and gave me a discount. They subsequently called in another mitigator to look at the damage in the basement. Again another person showed up without calling and wanted to immediately make arrangements to come in and take care of the problem in the basement. I said that I wanted them to give me an estimate since I wanted to compare costs and I also wanted to talk to my insurance company. The mitigator became indignant and said that they don't give estimates but that it would cost at least $3000. They then left.

My insurance inspector was scheduled to come to examine the damage on the upcoming Tuesday. In the interim I noticed that they had apparently damaged the wall unit. The insurance representative when they came to examine the damage recommended that I use a different company to handle the water damage which I did. I was very disgusted about the way that Roto-Rooter handled my problem. I feel like they took advantage of the situation that I was in. I would never use this company again and I will tell everybody not to use them.

Roto-Rooter Company Information

www.rotorooter.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use