Find an Online Bathroom Fixtures and Plumbing partner

Help me decide

3.3/5 (567 ratings)
Find an Online Bathroom Fixtures and Plumbing partner
Banner image

Need help with a bathroom project?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About Roto-Rooter

Banner image

Need help with a bathroom project?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Roto-Rooter Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Roto-Rooter?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Roto-Rooter?

Resolution response: Jan. 10, 2022

It turned out that the first fix didn't solve the problem, but another technician (Mark) came the next day (actually within a two hour window), completely fixed it, and was very helpful overall.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2022

While they fixed my problem quickly, my scheduling with Roto-Rooter was a nightmare. They said they would come 11-3 yesterday, didn’t show up, then said a technician would arrive by 9 today, and after some back and forth, a guy finally came at noon. It was $260 to unclog the toilet and an estimate of $400 for a shower drain. Not sure what comparative prices are, but that seemed high to me.

Roto-Rooter response

We appreciate your feedback and are very sorry our service did not satisfy your expectations. Please email me your full-service address, including the zip code, so that I can look into this issue as soon as possible. My email is Pat.Swanson@rrsc.com. Please also include a copy of this review.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: Dec. 24, 2021

My mother's washing machine broke and started leaking. Unfortunately I wasn’t in town at the time. In desperation she called Roto Rooter. A technician came out, shut off the water and told her the cost would be about $3000.00. She signed a contract that she could not see. Roto rooter set up fans and a humidifier then left. They returned days later to remove the fans and didn’t do anything to the walls, ceiling, baseboard etc. Days later my mother received a $9000.00 bill from Roto Rooter. When I confronted the company they refused to reduce the bill, kept claiming the company did a lot of work, and acted as con artist instead of an legitimate business. DO NOT under any circumstances hire this company. They profit from jacking up the prices to an astronomical level and stick you with a bill.

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Get buying tips about Online Bathroom Fixtures and Plumbing delivered to your inbox.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Dec. 22, 2021

After calling Roto Rooter to repair a leaky toilet, 3 rooms in my home were destroyed. They removed 7 doors and the door jams. Please tell me how my wood doors and door jams were damaged in a matter of 2 days. They removed the bathroom vanity and placed the extremely heavy marble top in the guest bathtub. Who was supposed to go remove the heavy top so that the shower could be used? There is no possible way that a toilet that began leaking no more than 2 days before could cause that much damage.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2021

My water heater thermostats failed the day before I have a guest visiting me for Christmas, I found Roto Rooter from their google advertisement, called their office to submit a service request. I was told the waiting window was 10am-2pm the second day. Their office called me by 1:30pm to let me know that their technician arrival time would be delayed, he would for sure show up, however they could not commit a time. I wanted to resolve the issue asap with a guest visiting situation, so I waited till a technical finally showed up at 7:30pm.

After tried to restart the pilot a few times, the technician stated water heater issues are in general hard to diagnose, he could not figure what went wrong, he would suspect a thermal wire was the issue. He promised he would come back the second day and also promised he would fix the problem for sure. Again it was until 6pm the next day their office called me if any technical contacted me, when I told him I have been waiting for a whole day, the office person said he would contact the technical and have him call me back. Again not a phone call from anyone afterward.

Today is the fourth day since I talked to this company, still not hearing anything from them at all. I have completely lost trust on them. I want to share my experience so you won't fall into the trap when you consider using them. The way I look at the situation is this company does not have the resource skills or capacity to support their service requests, they use the tactics to get you on the hook, to buy time for their benefits. This is an very unprofessional team, avoid if you have a choice.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
    Original review: Dec. 20, 2021

We initially contacted Roto-Rooter for help about a house-wide sewage backup we were having. We explained to the initial call taker our initial prognosis from what we had already been told from a previous company, and what services had already been performed in the recent past. It is fair to say we were in a desperate situation with sewage backing up throughout the house and roto-rooter knew this. Upon the service technician arriving at the residence, I explained to the technician that a previous company had snaked the cleanout to tank and was under the impression that we had a busted line somewhere underground.

The technician stated they would run the sewage machine in the cleanout to see if there was a clog, and then run their camera to see if anything of concern could be located. The technician stated that this call and service would cost appx $640 dollars. Being a week before Christmas I was reluctant to agree to the high dollar amount, but due to the present exigent circumstances I felt I had no other options but to agree to the price thinking these guys could fix our problems.

The technician’s initial diagnosis was believed to be we had a two-tank system and that we did not have any broken lines. The technician stated in an obvious visual that we had a “lift station/pump station” which is above ground access and that when you have that, you also have a solid waste tank which is typically buried. This was news to us as we have no knowledge on the components in a septic system. The technician stated we should have our solid waste tank pumped because it was full. The technician then packed up the equipment, had me pay the bill of $640 dollars, sign it, then left the residence.

So at best the technician made an educated guess as to the diagnosis of our problem. We then had to contact a septic service that day to have them come and try and locate and pump a second tank. The 2nd company did in fact locate a 2nd tank and did pump it out due to it being completely full and backed up into the house. The septic service tech stated that due to the pipe being completely compacted with waste that there was no way anyone got a camera in there to verify anything other than a pipe packed full of sewage.

We then contacted Roto-Rooter with our concerns of the price point for services rendered. While voicing our concerns we were brashly and smugly reminded by the initial customer service representative that I signed a bill/contract twice. Essentially telling us, well you signed twice there’s nothing you can do about it. While I am familiar with contractual obligations, it was in my opinion unprofessional and unnecessary to throw that in our face. Being a Friday afternoon the inflection and tone in the customer service representative's voice was becoming clear. They didn’t care about us or the fact we paid a ridiculous price point for 30 minutes’ worth of guesswork, she then referred us to the general manager.

Upon speaking with the general manager, he seemed to be a little more levelheaded but a bit more of a smooth talker. We advised the general manager that another company had previously been out to the residence prior to attempt to fix our problem and unbeknownst to us pumped the lift station and did not pump the correct tank and charged us accordingly. The general manager stated that the previous company had ripped us off for not knowing about the 2nd tank and that we should call and complain to them.

We then explained that the septic company who came and pumped the solid waste tank had told us that roto-rooter charged us way too much and ripped us off, the general manager had the nerve to call that company unprofessional and advised us not to make insults with an elevated tone as if it were a warning. The general manager stated he would investigate this matter and then call us back no later than 12/18 (the next day) to explain why they charged what they did.

The general manager then called us back on 12/20 and went through his long-drawn-out spiel on how their equipment is very expensive and that is why the cameras cost 300+ dollars to operate on a call. The general manager then proceeded to tell us that they came out same day and that no one else would have come out same day to look at our problem, and they have been in service for 80 years and they know what they’re doing. He then offered a piddly 150-dollar refund off our 640-dollar bill because our happiness was his concern…yeah okay.

This was our first-time using roto-rooter and after this interaction, ridiculous price points, and just generally apathetic tones from the customer service team, it will be the last. The service technician was the most polite and professional person we interacted with, and I know the service tech is not the one who sets the price points, our grievance is not with the service tech. Our grievance is with the company who has a perceived unethical business model and the perceivably apathetic customer service team we interacted with.

I wish I would have read reviews sooner on this company to see that other unfortunate souls have had similar or worse experiences with them. They take advantage of people in really bad situations, sell them snake oil and charge them astronomical rates which you are forced to sign for before any initial diagnosis or guesswork is made regardless of the simplicity of the job. The camera service was an unnecessary add-on to only increase price of the bill. The camera was only capable of diagnosing what was already blatantly obvious, a pipe full of sewage. No new knowledge was gained from the camera service therefore an unnecessary add-on.

I am not voicing these concerns and interaction on every public and private platform because I think we need a free service. I am voicing my concerns as a warning to any who might be considering this company for their needs. Reading through countless other recent reviews across the internet this company has seemed to establish a wonderful pattern for how much they don’t really care about the customer or taking care of them. They only seemed to be solely concerned with utilizing unnecessary services to raise the price of the bill. If you have read this far, please heed my warning along with the countless others and take this into consideration when choosing a plumbing service and steer clear of this company at all costs.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2021

Our hot water heater went out on 12-4-2021. We called Roto-Rooter and got put onto a waiting list. They come out on 12-8-2021 and the plumber went upstairs for 3 minutes, called someone to ask him what to tell us, comes downstairs tells us what parts we needed. My husband was trying to ask a question and the plumber just kept walking to his car. We sit on hold with the hot water heater people and they said we needed a photo of the part that needed fixing so I call Roto-Rooter to get the plumber to come back out to take the photo and the receptionist told me to take it myself. I said I paid 99 dollars for this man to come for 3 minutes and not help us at all and she said, "He will call you back."

Never received a callback. Left a bad review. They call my husband to give him a 25 dollars off if we use them. I called Friday and Saturday to speak with a manager, never received a callback. Called back this Monday 4 times and the manager was in a “meeting” since 9 am. The plumber that actually came and fixed it from a reputable company said the original plumber must have loosened a valve because water was leaking from the hot water heater. I still have not gotten ahold of a manager and I am reporting this to Better Business Bureau. I just want my money back for this horrible experience. Whatever you do DO NOT use this company unless you want to be charged for nothing.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2021

Consumers beware! Stay away from Roto-Rooter's poor business practices and pure price gouging!! On Saturday 12/11, I called to schedule someone to come out to snake our kitchen sink drain. We were told that someone would be there between 1:30 and 5:30 PM, and that I would receive a text when a technician was on their way. At 2:41 PM, I received a text that prompted me to reply "Y" or "N" to confirm my appointment. At 2:48 PM, I replied "Y" to confirm. Shortly after that, I called and spoke with a dispatcher, who said that someone should be at our house by 5:00 PM. Hours later after no one arrived, I called again and spoke with a supervisor. I was told that the reason for the delay was that since I did not respond to the initial text message within 5 minutes, the technician was sent to another job.

It is abhorrent that a technician did not come to my house within the original 4 hour timeframe because I responded to a text message 7 minutes after it was sent instead of your "5 minute window", which was NEVER communicated to me. A technician did not arrive at my house until almost 9:00 at night. As a mother of 3 children who waiting around all day, I am appalled. Additionally, when the technician arrived at our house, he told us that it would cost over $600!!

We had another company come out today to unclog our drain. Not only did they arrive in the timeframe originally agreed upon, but it took them only 30 minutes to snake the drain and they charged us $225... a fraction of what Roto-Rooter wanted to charge us. It is very clear in dealing with this company that they do not care about their customers. The dispatcher I dealt with on Saturday was so rude, and so was the technician. Save yourself the trouble and go with a different company!

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: Dec. 9, 2021

The technician came out and fixed the leak. It was a simple shower head leak for which the technician did not have the parts and charged me 1,200. The technician said he needed to replace shower valve because the newer Delta shower valve has replacement parts that are easy to find instead of Kohler brand. The price was set at 500, then it jumped to 700 because he had to run out and find the part. Finally when the technician returned and informed me he could not find the part he then said he can only change the shower valve which will cost 1200. I believe the Roto Rooter company took advantage of my misfortune and overcharged me. Lesson learned do not call roto rooter. Roto rooter should do the right thing and refund some of the money to me.

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: Dec. 7, 2021

In the past, Roto-Rooter has been great. Isaac and Jesus were professional, friendly and got the job done as efficiently as possible. On the other hand, Isabel in booking made four separate reservations--all of which, she cancelled... Actually I didn't receive any notification for one of them. Have they factored in that some people have to take work off to uphold such a fixed appointment? I understand that labor and services are scarce these days, but truly believe they can do a much better job at managing expectations. I would have much rather had her tell me that they were backed up for the next two weeks, but apparently, Roto-Rooter has no respect for the consumer's time. Thank you!

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: Nov. 27, 2021

Roto-Rooter did a good job un-clog drains in the past so we had them install a new wall mounted faucet in my wife's bathtub so it would be ready when she moved back upstairs following hip surgery. Big over $300 mistake!! When she moved back up and tried to take a bath we found that it was installed incorrectly and only accessed cold water so we had to have a local plumber correct the mistake at a cost of an additional $150.

Roto-Rooter Company Information