Roto-Rooter

Compare Online Bathroom Fixtures & Plumbing Companies

Research top Online Bathroom Fixtures & Plumbing Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

We called Roto Rooter because our sink in the kitchen was clogged. The came out on 08/31/2017. The service man was at the home 3.5 hours. Over half that time he was struggling with a defective rodding machine that wouldn't run. Sine he couldn't get the sink cleared with the 3/8th rod he switched to a 1/2 inch rod and that's when he wore through the cast iron pipe in the basement and snapped of the union where the copper line meets the cast iron pipe in the foundation. Water was leaking all over the basement floor. The service guy called his supervisor that looked at the break and said they would fix it for $4900. They then loaded up the equipment and left me with an expensive repair.

Was told that they would be there between 2 & 6. Called at 6 to check since they never showed. Was told the technician was not in today and would be out tomorrow. With the main water line to the house broke that was not an option. Called another plumber and the problem was fixed in an hour.

Eric the Wentzville, Mo tech arrived and was unable to snake out line. Eric refused to go through kitchen drain as he said this wasn't the problem it was the septic. Yet he never walked out to the septic tank to verify this. He refused to follow my directions and I am very knowledgeable in plumbing and had I not been in the hospital I would have fixed it. He was unable to think of solutions like go through sink drain which has fixed this problem every time. Or he could have gone down through roof stack vent. Had to borrow my tools since he didn't have any. He left my family without a viable option and no way to use water or bathroom.

I have taught residential building trades including plumbing for 17 years. I could tell by talking to Eric that he was not very bright and had to have solutions handed to him since he was a mono-thinker and afraid to think outside the box. Instead he wanted to have us pay thousands of dollars to have system torn up - I fixed it when I got home from the hospital in 20 minutes going through sink - Eric do you want to come back so I can train you?

I've never worked with a rooter co. Waiting over 6 hour for companies rep. to call with my Appt. I called main office but got a cocky employee saying he didn't know when they would have a tech available. This company would rather overbook and leave customers hanging then learn how to route a day! Sorry about the inconvenience. It's not good enough when you lose a day's pay! They can take their third rate company and their ignorant employees and stick it where the sun don't shine. Bunch of toilet trash!

Updated: Just had Roto Rooters dispatcher call me back. Told me they weren't coming and it was below his pay grade to listen to complaints and if I didn't like it I could go somewhere else... Until I told him I was recording him... RIGHT Lloyd in Colorado Springs. Then he gave me a supervisor that wanted me to stay home for an 8 hour window. Keep I mind I missed a whole day's work today and was promised if I waited Lloyd the dispatcher would have it done today. Rude incompetent employees but no surprise read their reviews. Tell me how a company with 3 pages of complaints is A rated with the BBB. Somebody's toilets must be getting done free!

The Roto-Rooter provided me the worst experience of any service company I had till date. Their so called professional plumber did not provide me any estimate before the job started (nor got our sign for approval), took 11 hours to install the heater, left 5-7 times in the job in the name of 'going to get some parts'. The invoice for installing a residential water heater was $4864.64. It was a ridiculous bill that I disputed. Worst experience of my life with any service company. I would not recommend them to anybody.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Roto-Rooter?

On Dec 7th 2016, my husband who is elderly had called Roto-Rooter to fix a leaking toilet, their technician ** came and fixed the toilet and added extra work by scaring my husband and adding more stuff worth about $2200 by saying you need to fix it NOW OR YOU WILL HAVE YOUR HOUSE FLOODED RIGHT NOW. These are thugs, cheat, despicable people who prey on old and rip them. My water pressure was slightly higher than 60 psi and it has been that for the last 12 years that I have resided here and it did not require immediate fixing and ripping us off like their technician did. I want to warn people of this immoral rip off business.

I had an appointment today between 8-10 am. 10 am comes and no phone call or technician. I called to ask if somebody was going to be at my house because I took the day off work for my plumbing problem. I was transferred 3 times, and the 3rd transfer ended with a hangup. I called back and again I was transferred 3 times ending with a hangup. I was polite throughout my whole request, so I have no idea why I kept getting hung up on. I again called a 3rd time and just asked if someone would eventually be at my house for service. I requested not to be transferred, only for a yes or no. I couldn't get an answer for some reason? This is the most unprofessional service I've ever received from a company that I have ever experienced, and it's actually very sad. Now I'm going to be looking for plumbing services on a Saturday last minute. I bet it'll be real cheap! Thanks Roto-Rooter. You're the best.

We recently noticed that water was coming into our basement. We called in one plumber who looked into it and claimed that our kitchen drain line was clogged and thus caused water to back up and leak through the drain line. They said that we needed to have the line unclogged out to the main sewer line and said they didn't have the equipment to do it but recommended that we contact Roto-Rooter since they did. I called up the company and made an appointment for July 8, 2017. The service person reexamined the drain line and said that we needed to replace the drain line which was under a concrete slab. They said that they would have to break the concrete to get to the pipe. They said that it would take a day to do the work. They quoted me $3200 for a day or $1800 for a half day plus parts. They couldn't start the job but would come back the following day to start the work.

I told them that I couldn't do it then since I was going on a business trip for a week. We agreed that they would come back on July 15, 2017. They said that they were concerned about the moisture in the basement and called their mitigator to come and take a look at it. They said that the mitigator would handle the insurance part of it. After the service person left the mitigator showed up about an hour later without calling to say they were coming. They wanted to come in the following day and start to put in drying equipment, tear out the damaged wood panels in the basement, etc. I said that I couldn't because I was going away. The mitigator then implied that I should cancel my trip because of potential mold issues. They said that I had to call my insurance company and explain the situation which I did.

On the scheduled day 2 technicians came to start the work. They moved the sofa out of the room but placed the wall unit against an opposite wall. About 2 hours later they told me that they would not be able to finish but would have to come back the next day because the drain had to be replaced completely to the main drain. Of course I would have to pay for another day. They then told me it would cost $3600 per day and not the originally quoted price. Shortly after they told me that they could finish the job the same day if they could bring 2 or 3 additional people and work until 7 or 8 PM. After lunch 1 additional person showed up and started to help. About 3 hours later they were finished! I asked how much they were going to charge me and they said for 2 days! I said how could they charge me that since they only brought in 1 technician and they were done by 4 PM?

They explained that the person they brought in was an "engineer" and not a "helper" that they were able to finish quicker. They never originally explained to me that there were 2 types of employees. They called their office and gave me a discount. They subsequently called in another mitigator to look at the damage in the basement. Again another person showed up without calling and wanted to immediately make arrangements to come in and take care of the problem in the basement. I said that I wanted them to give me an estimate since I wanted to compare costs and I also wanted to talk to my insurance company. The mitigator became indignant and said that they don't give estimates but that it would cost at least $3000. They then left.

My insurance inspector was scheduled to come to examine the damage on the upcoming Tuesday. In the interim I noticed that they had apparently damaged the wall unit. The insurance representative when they came to examine the damage recommended that I use a different company to handle the water damage which I did. I was very disgusted about the way that Roto-Rooter handled my problem. I feel like they took advantage of the situation that I was in. I would never use this company again and I will tell everybody not to use them.

I called them for a leak in downstairs unit. The plumber said we have to clear the upstairs drain and re-grout the shower. But we suggest you get a handyman for re-grout. They cleared shower drain and sink drain and charged $750. He never told me that is not the cause of the leak. Handyman told me wall behind grout is not soft and it is not the leak source. Leak continued. I called Roto-Rooter again - now they claim leak is coming from upstairs command flange. Now they are charging additional $700. They sell unrelated services, charge a lot for them. Be careful with these guys.

This entry concerns service of an inoperable kitchen sink garbage disposal unit. First of all, technician showed up after my scheduled morning block time appointment. Yes, company did call to alert me of lateness, which is appreciated; however I took time off from work and appointment lateness caused me to miss further work. Yes, technician was polite, indicating his earlier jobs ran long. Second, my "InSinkErator" garbage disposal unit (a common brand name) proved to be unfamiliar to technician. This is disconcerting, coming from an ostensibly experienced technician. Third, the "flat rate" bid was $600, not including parts. Also, technician stated he had no suitable replacement units on his truck.

$600 seems excessive, considering it took me only 55 minutes to install a new InSinkErator unit from Home Depot... and this includes clean up time and sanitizing a rather embarrassingly disgusting under sink cabinet mess. I later called company rep (a nice, pleasant lady) who reaffirmed the rate quoted, and that this included warranty and emergency middle-of-the-night service. (This was a prime-time Monday morning appointment.) As an aside Dear Reader, please note the unit brand offered by the tech (one to be ordered) was a low-end, noisy low consumer-rated unit (Brand name withheld). Bottom Line -- Replace your own unit, for this requires really minimal skills, saves you a small fortune, and you'll have installed a better grade unit in the end. My Unsolicited Opinion: A fair labor price would be circa $300 ($100 tech time + $150 company revenue + $50 warranty reserve), not $600. Oh yes, "plus parts".

Upon arrival of my home during my lunch break, I was greeted in the driveway by the friendliest face that later introduced himself as Jimmy. Jimmy was nothing but a pleasure to have in my home during a very stressful time. He worked rigorously for 3 hours draining our entire home plumbing system. I Would recommend him to friends/family and anyone seeking plumbing and drain service. Amazing service!

Had sewer line liner installed to the tune of $6300 plus additional work done to the tune of $1800 total of $8100. When oked work to be done was never told of any discounts. Only to find out later of a senior discount of 10% denied because it was a quote. Then had additional worked done while on the job denied the senior discount. Then found a $20 discount magnet on my local phone book. Denied again because I had to present it to the technician at the time the work was done. Nothing said on the coupon. If they are going to offer these coupons and discounts at least offer them when getting a quote? So if you are a senior asked for any discounts and or any coupons at time of quote. Very disappointed to say the least. Would give it a minus 1 star if possible.

Roto-Rooter refused to provide an estimate on the phone. Upon showing up at the end of the day to a clogged pipe where poop water was overflowing over my yard and flooding the neighbor’s yard, the technician decided that $420 was the right price but would include a 6 month warranty to come out again and again. After trying a bit hard to unclog he determined that the sewer line was 'gone' and that the warranty would only extend to 1 month. Right then and there. Then when he made the paperwork for the invoice he did not note what kind of work he did.

Bottom line, the sewage line was clogged again 2 days later. Save yourself the headache of dealing with shifty people like Roto-Rooter who are unprofessional and abusive of the situation. The technician just looked at the pipe from above and quoted a price without knowing what the problem was. He could have done that on the phone. Then he proceeded to write an estimate of how much it would cost to dig up the whole pipe. His estimate consisted of a drawing of how the pipes should look according to his guess and a number of $6000 on the bottom of the page. No detailed explanation of any work to be done, scope or anything. NEVER calling them again.

Called for a blocked drain and a cracked pipe under the tub on Tuesday morning, quoted $99-200. Service was quick as usual. The guy they sent out caused an electrical problem in the house when he plugged in his snake machine, few different stories of what happened there but the boss kindly recommended we get a electrician out for safety sake which is appreciated.

The drain cleaning that took 45 minutes from the time the drain 'specialist' came out to when he left including time for discussions with his boss about the electric problem and an explanation that a plumber would have to be called to solve the issue of the cracked pipe cost $234. The problem isn't even solved. I have done business with this company several times over the last 10 years. Lots of choices in town, I'll call someone else next time (or really this time since problem wasn't solved). Feel ripped off. 1 star for the manager caring about the electrical problem even knowing he was losing a customer.

I called Roto-Rooter. They took a little time to come but it was fine. They came in. Told me the problem. Told me what they can do. I said I can't afford what they're trying to do so they went to see where the clean out was. Found it and told me they can not do... but they change their mind did it anyway. They were very caring, kind to me. They help me seeing I had my grand kids and charge me cheap and warranty. Thank you guys for doing what you did for me. I was very happy with the job. The Roto-Rooter in Tucson ARIZONA were very kind caring. Love them.

Roto-Rooter was called to clog a drain line outside, and ended up breaking a drain line inside my property. Roto-Rooter sent a third party repair service to fix the flooring damage, when I advised that I have my own repair company I want to use. They ignore my request to pay for the damages they caused. Then when I filed a BBB complaint, they lied and said they were not responsible when they never denied fault. I recommend never using this company for anything, it will save yourself a lot of headache as they are unethical and refuse to take responsibility for their mistakes.

I called 5 days in advance for a plumber to come to my home. They scheduled the appointment between 9-12 Monday and confirmed they would call 30 mins before arrival. I received a call Monday around 10 saying they were running late, but would call me 30 mins before arrival. They called again at 12:30 and said again they were running late but would call me 30 mins before arrival, they then called at 3:15 saying they were still running late and couldn't provide an ETA of when they could come out. I then requested we reschedule for Thursday. Never once did they apologize for the inconvenience. Just said it was because it was raining...

I called today needing emergency services informing them of my appt scheduled for Thursday but the issue had gotten worse and asked if they could come today vs. waiting until Thursday. They scheduled my appointment for today between 4 pm-8 pm - it's 8:03 pm and I haven't heard from them... I called them and asked where the plumber was, they said "We have you scheduled for tomorrow" and they needed to pull my call from today to confirm I requested services today vs. Wednesday... They pulled the call and called me back to tell me - they made a mistake... Again no apologies and said they have 1 technician who's been working the same job today since 4:00 today and there are other calls in front of mine so it maybe after midnight tonight if they're able to get someone out at all today... Look elsewhere. Don't waste your time on this company that won't show up!

I called for a clogged kitchen drain that needed to be snaked. Was quoted an emergency price for a Sunday of $500+ ($525 or so I believe he said). The guy arrived in early afternoon and took 3.5 hours for a job that should've only taken 30 minutes for someone that knew what he was doing. So 3.5 hours later I was slammed with a bill of $648 and my sink was still clogged as he couldn't get the snake through the reduction fitting 20 feet down the line. They tried to reschedule a "Journeyman" to come back, but when I asked they stated only the first 30 minutes would be included in the prior day's charges, then we would "discuss" what the further charges would be. I cancelled and called a local plumber who fixed it in an hour. When I told them I was cancelling because they ripped me off and left my drain clogged, their only response was, "Sorry to hear that". Well me too as I will NEVER use Roto-Rooter again in my life.

On April 11 I called Roto-Rooter because there was some water spilled on the ceiling from the water faucet. I called while I was on work when service tech arrived my home. He called me and said I need to have water restoration service. Then I asked for the estimate but Mr. James ** (tech) said my homeowner insurance should cover (no price estimates). I gave him insurance phone number, Mr. James told me my deductible is 500 dollars rest will pay by insurance (lied) then I was agreed to begin the work over the phone. My wife at home signed the work order. There was no price estimates written (TBD). Next day insurance company's agent came to inspect. He said my deductible is 2500 dollars. I was shocked. The house was hot because they left a air mover and dehumidifier, my 9 yr. old son couldn't breath.

I called Roto-Rooter to stop service and remove all equipments after 24 hours. The ceiling was dried already. My credit card was charged 500 dollars on the spot. Now they called me for another 729 dollars. It's ridiculously overprice. I denied to pay the whole amount but they reported to the debt collector. Roto-Rooter have no manners. They lied about the insurance coverage. I didn't know my deductible because I never have to use homeowner insurance. I would not work with Roto-Rooter if they told me the truth. Do not call Roto-Rooter, they will rob you blind. They should be brought to the justice for their dishonesty. I will write reviews all social media and will report to better business bureau. My friends family will never use them. I hope they go out of business.

My mother's drains were clogged up so she called RR. They were supposed to come in the afternoon but arrived at 8:30 AM. My mother (who is 90) let them in and they ran a video where they said it stopped at the foundation and that the pipe had shifted; it could be roots but likely the pipe and that they needed to dig outside. They gave her an estimate of $8,800 and had her initial a work order (I'm assuming since I was not there). My sister was sleeping through all of the and when she called I got a hold of RR and cancelled the work. They had already sent out a worker to mark for gas lines and the excavation crew was on their way. Needless to say they wanted to start digging ASAP. The work order also said they would dig a hole 5' long and 7' deep. If there was more damage they would likely have to replace the entire sewer line to the street at considerably higher cost.

I then called the person who had come over and asked why he did not first try to snake it out? At first he said he couldn't see clearly in the video because of the sewage, then said that he could not get his 200 pound machine down the basement stairs. I asked if they had a smaller machine and he said no, that maybe somebody else did. I called a plumber right after that and he came to the house and cleared the blockage with his snake/machine. This borders on fraud by taking advantage of somebody who doesn't know any better. I would stay away from Rooter with a 10 foot pole.

My hot water heater was leaking so I tried my plumber. He was tied up and so I called Roto-Rooter since they were a national company. They sent someone out within a couple of hours or so. They said I need a new hot water heater which I knew. They called around to find one to fit my closet and they had to go and picked it up and would returned the next day.

I have a modular home and I found the same water heater and the price was $500 plus tax. They charge me $871.62 for heater which is about 75% then charge me $650 labor which was too high. Then the overflow line from pop off they had two kinks in the line and had to come back and fixed that. Replaced the gasket on bowl charge $150. My bill was $1691.57. The only thing good about this was the two techs were very nice and clean. I would not use them again because it was entirely too high.

Drain clog removal - Did the job. Only took about ten minutes. The charge was $288.00 less a forty dollar coupon. Super pricey considering I got price bids for the same thing for $150.00 and $100. So should have used other companies. Way overpriced!! Especially for Seniors.

I am a handyman and had bath cabinet ready for serviceman. He looked at situation, four feet to main drain. Gave me estimate which I misread and being senior did not hear correctly. We moved into this property 3 years ago and drain was slow. We used plunger and improved it. When I remodeled, placed new toilet, sink and cabinet. There was in trap extensive hair, someone washed their hair in sink. By previous plunging pushed some hair in drain pipe and over time started to slow again. We used plunger again and sucked it back up to stopper unknown to me. I gave up and called crooked Roto-Rooter. He estimated $256.95 which I did not realize, all he did was remove stopper and remove a big wad of hair. He had no mercy, evidently sent my OK to crooked Roto-Rooter and I was stuck.

After talking to first technician that came out to clean our 3 rain drains, went with the jetted (water) and camera for $700+ dollars for 2 hours. The technician came out to clear the drains by jetting (very high water pressure), which can tear up your black drain pipes and Roto-Rooter is not responsible. We explained that the drains had been previously installed prior to us moving in the house. We had no idea where the drains were connected to when pointing to where the water comes out onto the property out of the drains. The one drain on the right side of the property was hooked up to two downspouts and had clear clearance. Then the left side of the house had two drains. One goes to the back of the house up a hill, who knows where it ended. Time was running and did not want to spend more than $700+ dollars to find out where it ended. Probably in our neighbor's yard somewhere.

The last drain went to a downspout. He did run water in the drain that the downspout was connected to. The water was trickling out at the other end. But it is weird that the tech tried to jet the drain line at the other end and all that came out was mud and big rocks. He had gotten as far as about 6 feet. He appears to be jetting the ground and that's it! No camera was put up this drain to see what the issue was and if it had a drain pipe that went all the way up to where the jetting was hitting soil. All he could do is send someone to give us a quote to dig up and re-install the drain. Heck no! I think it would be very cost effective for the customer, that the camera be used first to see what issues there could be.

Also, if a drain does not need to be cleared that would benefit the customer as well, so that the drain pipe doesn't get torned up. After he left, I reached in the drain and the drain pipe was only about a foot long. I pulled it out and reached up even further and I could feel hollow ground, no piping. I have since filled in the hollow ground with 80 pounds of top soil, to keep the ground at the top from sinking. I am sure there is still more hollow ground that needs to be filled in, but it was beyond reach. I believe overall, $700+ dollars was a waste of money.

On 05/29, I called Roto-Rooter to change the Fill Valve and Flush stopper because it would not fill tank. They were prompt which is a plus. The repairman very quick look at the toilet and stated, "Yep it need to replace it." He says I might have some parts for it and started to get them. I said "Wait, How much this cost?" He says, "$300.00". I say, "WHAT?" I told him, "The only reason I called you because I recently had back surgery. No thank you, I'll wait until I can do it". He asked me, "What did you want to pay?" which tells me he inflated the cost. I said, "Thank you but no thank you." I would tell customers to "BEWARE OF THIS COMPANY".

I have tried to get service from Roto-Rooter 3 days in a row. The first time was in the evening, and they said they don't have any plumbers in the area, so they scheduled an appointment the next day which was fine. The next day rolled around and they called two times to say they were running behind. The third time they called, they said no one could come out. Now I'm pissed! So they said they would be there the next day between 10-2 and they call again this day to say they don't have any plumbers in the area. At this point I needed to cancel to find another plumber.

No one at this company cares about keeping appointments or customer service. They actually got mad at me for being upset, pretending like they aren't doing anything wrong. These service calls are for my tenants, so I cannot wait around for Roto-Rooter to do whatever they feel like. IF YOU MAKE AN APPOINTMENT YOU KEEP IT!!! Completely unprofessional. I will never use this company again. I need a reliable company that actually does what they say. I only gave one star because I can't do 0. I will be posting reviews on every other website I can, because people need to know what they are getting themselves into. My company has spent a couple thousand dollars using Roto-Rooter and it blows my mind that they would treat reoccurring customers like this.

On May 6, 2017, I called Roto-Rooter company and asked to send a professional to replace less than one yard of cold water pipe and almost 10-inch hot water pipe. The work was non-emergency one, which took the guy from Roto-Rooter 40 minutes to complete. I was charged $569 which is ridiculous. The next day

I called Roto-Rooter and complained of their predatory charging practices. The receptionist lady promised that somebody will call from their company in two hours to discuss with me on my "concerns" on the issue. Nobody ever called. On May 9, 2017, I again called the company and asked to send a plumber to fix bathtub leaky faucet naively thinking, that after I had complained of their enormous charging rate they will curb their appetite. My mistake.

Though I had beforehand bought new faucet cartridge, had drilled out the rusty screw on the handle and removed the handle, I was charged $256.02 for only taking out the bonnet nut, which I could not do for myself. I don't blame Roto-Rooter employees for charging their customers astronomically high rates, as they are ordered to act so by their superiors, by the greedy company owners. I warn other naive as myself seniors and young customers. Stay away from this rip off company, as there are hundreds and hundreds of honest and professional companies to do these kinds of jobs much cheaper, you should only look for them, which alas, I had not done by mistake...

Called Roto-Rooter in Adrian, Mi for clogged drain that I had put some celery leaves down the garbage disposal. Owner who scheduled appointment never gave me quote and when questioned Brian, the tech who came out, said he was told owner had given me quote. I should have asked for quote up front, tech said, "I hate when he doesn't give quote then I have to argue with the customer." Maybe if tech would give quote this would not be a problem. The tech was here long enough to charge 310.00 for hour and half. I told him to quit. I thought something was funny when he said there was the worst build up he ever saw. I had a new sink with pipes under sink put in last year. I am very careful what I put in garbage disposal and I clean my drains once a week with baking soda and salt and hot water.

When I questioned to see the sludge from drain he said there was some on rag in truck. Towels were wet under sink with some dirt looked like dark sand don't know if it was from his machines. After he got his machines to go he said he heard something from sink. And what you know sink was unplugged. I will never call them again. If you call them get quote and watch them every minute to see if anything comes from drain. I have no doubt I was taken advantage of.

Mike ** came out at night around 10pm. He told me he would have to make a small pin hole in the wall to fix outside faucet. He put a 10x10 cut in wall. I wish he would have told me instead of writing in the dark on a contract I didn't have a copy of and then charged me an extra $50 for parts. A bunch of lies. Call to complain and management was just as bad. Oh and he said, "We don't fix the hole, that's on you."

We called Roto Rooter because of its well established name in the business. A technician came to the house and without providing us with a diagnosis or an estimate proceeded to maintenance our plumbing without our authorization. He then presented us with a bill for $500. When the shop was contacted (Newburgh, NY Edward Lang), the owner Edward Lang was sarcastic, unprofessional, belittling and argumentative. We have had to try to settle our complaint with the corporate office due to the owner's inability to appropriately navigate the situation.

Roto-Rooter Company Profile