1.24/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

524 Roto-Rooter Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

My experience with Roto-Rooter has been awful from the start and it is not even close to finished. Let me begin by saying that I am a single mother with my 3 children living in my household. I had sewer line back up into my basement and Roto-Rooter came to my house for the first time on January 21, 2019. From the start, there has been a total lack of competency and communication with workers and management. I have been told one thing one minute, to be told something completely different the next. No one seems to know what the other person is doing or saying.

I have outside line insurance. Roto-Rooter was the contract company that I was referred to by the insurance company. They proposed replacing the entire sewer line for $9500. The insurance agreed to cover $7700 based on my policy and I agreed to pay $1800 at that time. Since then, they have dug up my sewer line, ruined my entire yard and patio, fully collapsed my sewer line, broken my patio table, and have still not fixed anything. They initially claimed there was a boulder the size of a small car that was blocking their ability to complete the job. They left the job site and didn't return for a week, after I made multiple phone calls. They said they would barricade the area with plastic fencing before leaving, but they left everything completely open and a hole 5ft long x 2ft wide x 3ft deep completely exposed that any child or animal could fall into.

Then, the city public works came and reviewed the line placement and scenario and told them to just go around the boulder that they claimed was such a huge issue. The city also said that since Roto-Rooter has now collapsed the sewer line they are responsible for completing the job and that any other plumbing company would be very unlikely to come in and take over where Roto-Rooter left off. They then claimed that they did not have the proper equipment to go into a hole the depth of what was needed for my line (12-15 ft) that would ensure the safety of their workers, but also gave no alternative options or suggestions. They returned their payment to the insurance company and were apparently trying to skip out on the job entirely.

I have been getting nothing but a runaround ever since. It is now February 18th and I still don't have a working sewer line, have feces and sewage all through my basement still (3 days short of a month like this), and have now been told they will be back out Wednesday, a day later than I was told last week, to "see what they can do". When asked why they moved it back another day, I was told they had another job site they had to be at tomorrow. I would think a job they started a month ago that is a total health hazard to myself and my children would be a priority, but apparently it isn't. Since January 21st, my children and I have had to take showers/baths at friends' houses and at a local gym, have not been able to run water for more than a few seconds, are doing dishes out of a basin and dumping it outside, and have had to put our used toilet paper in ziplock bags (as recommended by the Roto-Rooter employees).

We have flushed the toilet on a sparing basis as absolutely needed, which of course results in it coming right back up into the basement. My next step is to alert the Board of Health as well as the Better Business Bureau. I believe they took an "easy pay" insurance (primarily) covered job without doing their due diligence in assessing the situation and repairs needed, and then when they realized they were in over their heads they attempted to flee the job completely and leave us stranded with more damage than was there when they were initially called. This company should be completely ashamed of the way they run and manage their business.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

Do not use this terrible company. I thought they were a reliable company until I tried them out, and saw they are not honest. I had sewer back up in my basement. I paid for a service for them to rod the clean out, and the next day I still had a problem with the toilet water not flushing. The invoice showed that I have a 6 month warranty. The tech that came out didn't know what he was doing. I had to direct him, and he was about to try to fix the problem. All of a sudden a camera guy came without an appointment.

The camera guy saw I was hesitant to open the door since I never asked for a camera guy. He then lied to get me to open the door, and pretended he was a supervisor. He then proceeded to go to where the tech was working. The tech told the camera guy he needed to go to his van for more supplies to get this sewer back up fixed. He asked the camera guy to help him carry his equipment. The 2 of them disappeared for some time.

The camera guy left without telling me, and the tech came in to tell me he's not doing the work, and will make sure to set up another appt. with a Real plumber since he's only a tech! Roto-Rooter kept on canceling my appointments, and gave me a hard time! I had to call the company so many times, and they kept lying to me that they will send someone out there. Then they told me they don't have real plumbers, and only techs available. Finally some jerk that was a tech called me, and was screaming at me on the phone. I told him I had a 6 month warranty, and the tech was being disrespectful asking me how much I paid.

I called back Roto-Rooter, and they said the next day they will send another tech. Again they canceled my appointment. I had to call so many times, until they finally sent a creep for a tech who looked like he was about 18 years old. He didn't know much about how to do plumbing work. This young kid was too lazy to even try. He walked in, and said he doesn't want to do the work! I called the company to complain, and they said they will see what they can do! They lied, and I never heard back from them! Roto-Rooter is a Scam! Don't trust them! I will never recommend this company to anyone! They don't even deserve one star but, you're forced to pick between one, and five stars! This is the worst plumbing company I have ever used! They don't stand by their work or warranty! The customer service is terrible!

Sara,

Please email me your full-service address including zip code so that I can look into this as soon as possible. Please also include a copy of this review.

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Get expert buying tips about Online Bathroom Fixtures and Plumbing delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

From beginning to end a nightmare. Would not quote a price to unclog kitchen sink. I figured it couldn't be more than 150. So they show up give me a quote of $349. For a simple kitchen clog, stating that that is there going rate for that service. I refused and he came down to 200, still highway robbery, and said well then you don't get a guarantee. Rip off artist! Then he just strolled through the house without announcement and scared my tenant who was in the bathroom. Worst company ever!!! If that's your going rate you could have saved us both time by telling me when I called. I would definitely never called them again.

Maryann,

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

They sent a technician to my place to replace a kitchen faucet and they said they can buy the parts and then charge me Market Price which is 60% more than the real price which make sense, but at the end they sent me a bill with 4 time of the real price, and when I tried to reach them, they didn't answer, they rip off their customers. So greedy!

Mana,

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

The tech came out to unclog my toilet, When he pulled the toilet he flooded my bathroom with sewage water and was surprised when it happened. He was not a professional plumber! Any professional should know how your pipes work! So after flooding my house with sewage water, he insisted on me paying the full $600 bill! $600 to flood my house with sewage! DO NOT EVER LET ANYONE YOU KNOW USE THIS COMPANY!!!

Jeffrey,

Customer Satisfaction Manager

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Roto-Rooter?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

I have 4 small leaks in my condo I needed fixed. Had Roto-Rooter come out. The tech didn’t seem to know the names of the plumbing parts nor which bathroom was the “master” and which was the “hall bath”. At the end, he quoted me $2300 PLUS $1000 for a permit PLUS parts and labor. I laughed at him and told him to leave. The second quote I received was for $400 - no permit. I am a woman and my husband wasn’t home. The tech was either grossly under qualified or trying to take advantage of me because I’m a woman. Either way, don’t call them.

Faye,

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Called to have someone unclog my kitchen sink & repair a small leak. The tech came. Was acting like he really didn't want to do the job. He had this dull flashlight make like he looking at the problem then gave me this ridiculous quote of $390.00 and he knew I had a coupon of $75.00, so he said, "With the coupon you will pay $ 280.00." Advised him to have a good day you are a scam because this is the 3rd time I had this company called out for harder jobs and the fee was way less. He didn't give a rat **. Called to complain and rep answered didn't care. I will never use them again. SCAM SCAM SCAM.

Lateesha,

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I’ve called Roto-Rooter out twice in the last two days. I have no water in my house. The first call, the technician spent about 5 minutes in my basement and says "Call the city, you have a meter problem" and is gone. So, call the city and come to find out there is a leak right beside my shut off valve. Second technician comes and spends about 10 minutes looking at where it is, makes a phone call and proceeds to tell my $3900. Mainly because they would have to hand dig, says there isn’t enough room to get equipment up the street. Just so happens that I’m a truck driver and have had my truck on that road numerous times. Informed him of this and he just laughed and said either way, it’s $3900.

David,

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

Tech quoted my wife $369 for snaking using clean out. Then tech said he could not get cleanout open (wife said it was the weakest effort) so requoted $525 if he pulled the toilet. Well he pulled the toilet but could not get the line open so miraculously the cleanout opened and the job completed. I was still charged the higher rate. What changed with the cleanout??? "Yeah I was able to take it off". Tech said they don't go on roofs but the website says they do. Wife noticed a huge difference in workmanship and effort when she was alone and I came home.

Lynn,

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

A few months ago we had a kitchen clog and called Roto-Rooter. The technician snaked the drain, cleared the clog and charged $133. Reasonable. Today, our other kitchen sink clogged (we have 2 kitchens). Called Roto-Rooter again, tech quotes it as $339!!! Same exact job! Now, the tech was a great guy and I don't think he was the scammer. But that price hike is just outrageous. I called their office and was told that the plumbers set their own prices and there are no corporate prices. The tech stated that it IS corporate pricing. Who to believe? What a weird way to do business!

Angela,

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I called Roto-Rooter because my washing machine was leaking water. The plumber arrived between the times I was told he would arrive. Once the plumber arrived, he told me that there's a clog in the laundry drain and it was going to be ~$485. I thought it was going to be a serious clog and told him to move forward with the removal of the clog. He spent ~45 min, but definitely, less than an hour to remove a hair/lint build up that was only about an inch and a half long and about 2mm in diameter. The material "clogging" the drain that was removed was not even capable of clogging the complete drain. I was then told that he removed only a small amount of the material because the rest would unclog itself. I was also told by the plumber that this is how much the drain unclogging usually costs.

While he was working, I read online that it is usually $100-$200 for a minor clog. I asked the plumber towards the end if he would consider this a minor or severe clog. He simply nodded his head and said it was a very minor clog. He then pointed out saying he gave me a discount, which brought the total price down to $474 (after taxes). I will never use this company again and I would not recommend them to anyone. This was my first and last time using their services. If I had just read Roto-Rooter's reviews before giving them a call, I could have avoided this situation completely.

Harshal,

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

We are now 4 days without water and I’m beyond mad. On 1/31 our water backed up into our downstairs bathroom and the city was called out, they told us we would have to call a plumber, so I told my mother to call Roto-Rooter as that was a name I’ve heard and should be good. They came out on 2/1, the first guy gets his equipment stuck in our clean out and tells her he would have to get a camera down the line to see what the problem is. That’s already $450 to figure out the problem. They then proceed to tell us we need our sewer line repaired and it will be another $6200 and all has to be paid upfront before they can do the work but that they would not be able to do it until day 3.

Day 3, 2/2/19 we were told workers would be here no later than 10am and it would only take 2-3 hours. They called and said there was a mishap and wouldn’t be here until 11. We had an inspector coming as we are selling our house and yet he can’t inspect plumbing as they are gonna be late. Technicians didn’t end up showing up until after 11:30. We left for the inspectors to do what he can and returned 2 hours later. The technicians were still working and as I was getting groceries out of the car I heard one of them say ”we just won’t tell them about that.” And then they left as they didn’t have everything they needed to complete job. They showed back up around an hour or so later to complete. When they were done they never notified anyone in the residence the repairs were finished but just left, over 4 hours later for a job that was only suppose to take 2-3 hours.

We were excited to finally have water after 3 days, so everyone was getting ready to take baths and relax. My mom goes first and takes a nice hot bath. Next my daughter decides to take a shower in the downstairs bathroom and guess what. Toilet won’t flush and water is backing up into her shower AGAIN. Not even a full day and the problem is still here. We immediately called Roto-Rooter and was told they would send someone out. After an hour they called back and said they didn’t have any technicians and it would be another 3-4 hours or they could come in the morning. Since this was at 10pm at night we decided to wait until the morning and was told someone would be here between 8-10am.

The technician showed up at 8:15am and was rude and cocky, he would not listen to anything we said and ended up making things worse. Our shower is full to the point of overflowing now and all he tells us is the first guys didn’t do the job right and he was going to call them. After sitting outside on the phone for a while he comes back in and says a supervisor will be out within 30 minutes. Now this is day 4 no water. While he was outside my mother decides to call the field supervisor that originally came out and he tells her the guys told him there could be another blockage closer to the house and that’s what they had not wanted to tell us. And said he would come out after church and put another camera down the line at no charge but if there was another blockage it would be more money.

This is very unprofessional as they only did the minimum they needed and left. It has been an hour, supervisor still hasn’t shown up. They should of known when they did the initial inspection what all the problems were. The work that was done was not worth $6200, as I’m in this sewer industry and no this is a rip off. Worse yet, the little work that was done didn’t fix our problems and your technicians only made it worse. This is day 4 we have no water, no clean dishes and no clean clothes. This need to be fixed immediately. Root-Rooter has overcharged us for a half ** job and they need to remedy the situation immediately with no further cost to us.

Grace,

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I would actually give them zero stars but this site won't let me. Don't ever call Roto-Rooter in Mtn. Home, AR. Not only do they charge inconsistently with what is advertised (corporate offices handle that), but they take four hours to do a job that should be an hour and a half, don't do the job to completion because they're charging hourly instead of the flat fee advertised (meaning everything that was asked to be snaked can't be because you can't possibly afford it). (Will have to come back because the problem wasn't fixed charging you again even though they're supposed to have a no hassle guarantee that it will get done without a charge for having to come back.) And then when you try to get them to come out the third time, the owner will laugh at you.

They want to work on things without the homeowner present, dig up yards unnecessarily (especially since I've been told this one isn't licensed to handle pipes in the ground and installing clean outs, etc. they still want to dig up my yard with a backhoe... Um, no) and then when you ask for a refund you get hung up on. And my favorite thing...one of their techs was running around with my credit card info written in a notepad, not on the invoice, and I had to cancel my card due to it being a security issue. What a hassle. I have contacted corporate offices and reported their business practices but I'm likely to just be out the money and I still can't run my washing machine, dishwasher and shower the way I should.

Onnica,

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

Technician was fine, city had came out day before and said lower end of line was great so it had to be clogged up by house (approx 10 yards) but I would have to call plumber. City comes back out next day no by my asking and ask - "Did you get it fixed." I said, "Actually he owns way now." Roto-Rooter shows up. Line is blown out in less than 3 minutes, took longer to get hose out truck and connected to my water then to be blown out! BAM! $440 plus tax plus he said he had to fix the lower end of line which city said was fine, but they said they missed something. $900 BILL!!! You talk about going broke and getting raked!!! $440 plus tax for less than 3 minutes!!!

Had a 2nd opinion plumber come out today to tell me what job should have cost (approximately I said). He said I got charged double! And asked me why I called Roto-Rooter (because I couldn't flush and I had to take whomever got here first). I hope and pray I never have another plumbing issue and that another neighbor/friend will ask me about my experience. Because I can assure you that every car/truck that went down the road looked over at my driveway and saw the Roto-Rooter truck here because I saw them! I will 1000% percent tell them about this and I will do my best to make sure they don't get taken/**/broken etc by Roto-Rooter as I did!!!

Terry,

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I called Roto-Rooter for the first and last time today. I experienced a sink clog, toilet valves not closing properly, and a shower drip. They dispatched a plumber out quickly, however, they charged me more than double the market rate. The sink was snaked to clear the clog. I was charged $450 to snake the sink... while the market rate is between $100-$200. I will never use Roto-Rooter again. They take advantage of customers with no plumbing knowledge. Who knows how much I was overcharged on my shower drip and the toilet valves were not fixed at all. WARNING to unaware honest folks trying to make a living... Don’t call this company. They will rip you off. Lesson learned the hard way.

Mary,

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

A new hot water heater was installed on Jan. 21st. Since then, two other techs we have had called out because it won't produce enough hot water for one full shower. Also the water barely even gets very hot. We were told, it because of this time of year, cold pockets, etc, etc. The tech left today, still not fixed. It's a brand of hot water heater we've never heard of, State. We think it's a lemon. My elderly mother is going crazy because she needs a hot shower to help with her arthritic pain. $1200 down the drain, literally. They still don't care! Do NOT use this company!!!

Carey,

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

Wis was amazing, very professional and very hardworking young man. He told me exactly what he going to do to solve the problem and he made sure that everything was running well before he left. Thank you Wis.

Thank you!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

Bad experience. I have two cleanouts in my backyard. One cleanout comes from my bathroom and ties into the 2nd cleanout which goes straight to the city main which lies roughly 110 feet out into the alley behind my house. January 1st of 2019 I began experience an issue with a blockage in the main line for my bathroom. This is the line that is smaller and joins to the longer main leading to the alley. Each time we would run any water in our bathroom it would come out of the top of the cleanout. Clearly there was something blocking that main line. I purchased a snaking tool at Lowe's and was able to punch through the blockage and get the water in that cleanout to drain.

The same blockage would reoccur 1 week later in the same pipe. Knowing I could not easily afford a call to a local plumber or Roto-Rooter I attempted and was successful in getting it to drain a 2nd time. Each time I was hopeful that the blockage was completely eliminated. January 15th was the last time that I attempted myself to clear the blockage, again occurring in the cleanout from the bathroom. I made many efforts this 3rd time to unclog it and was unsuccessful. Despite knowing I didn’t comfortably have the money to call Roto-Rooter I had no other choice as temperature were going to be reaching negatives in that upcoming weekend so I called Roto-Rooter out.

January 16th (the next day) the dispatcher called me and service tech James ** came out to service my drain. He ran 105 foot snaking out the main line from the cleanout. It was successful in getting the water to drain just as my previous 2 attempts had also been “successful”. I use the term successful loosely as neither of the times were complete satisfaction. I paid James $285 after the coupon that I used was processed and he gave me a 6 month guarantee.

Based on my previous experiences with it blocking up I also asked if Roto-Rooter would be able to send out a camera inspection to verify with 100% certainty that the job was successful. James told me that would be included if there was another occurrence within the 6 months. One thing I need to explain about my cleanouts. The bathroom cleanout is tied into the 2nd cleanout which runs out to the city main. If the bathroom main is blocked it comes out through the cleanout which doesn’t in my opinion make it an emergency situation. However when the 2nd cleanout which is tied in gets blocked the water draining to that cleanout has nowhere to go so it comes back up through the floor drain in my block basement.

That leads me to January 18th 2019. My 2nd call to Roto-Rooter. I was already cashing in on my 6 month guarantee. I walked down into the basement on January 18th and noticed water had gathered around the floor drain and was not draining. I went out to the cleanout and could observe water standing still in the cleanout drain not draining. This time it was the other cleanout that was not draining. I believe that James the first technician was able to move the blockage but not push it all the way to the city main so instead of successful clearing it he just prolonged the inevitable. The dispatcher called me back and sent out a different technician named Rodney **. Rodney came out and both technicians that came out were very professional.

My experience with the technicians was not bad. I explained the situation to Rodney and showed him the water in the basement. He ran his line, again his line was roughly 105 feet. He told me he had to clip some off of his line in the past. I tell you this statement because again my main line is at least 110 feet to the city main. It took Rodney more time but he was eventually able to get the water to drain. I again say this attempt was “successful” in getting the water to drain but was skeptical in its ability to successfully clear the problem. I asked Rodney about calling a camera inspection as it had been explained to me by the prior technician that I would be awarded an inspection if another blockage occurred. Rodney called Ronnie to perform a camera inspection and the camera tech had it in his notes to come out. Rodney packed up and left around 5pm.

Around 8pm I had became impatient waiting for the camera inspection so I called back to dispatch. A few minutes later I received a phone call from Ronnie the camera inspection person. He proceeded to explain to me that he would not be coming out as a part of the 6 month guarantee. He told me he had spoken with his excavation manager and that a camera inspection was not part of a 6 month guarantee. I explained to Ronnie why I had sought out a camera inspection given the previous attempt at clearing the blockage unsuccessfully. I had asked for the inspection to be covered in the 6 month guarantee because I couldn’t afford to pay an additional cost. He told me his hand were tied and that he could come out but he gave me a quote of the cost for a camera inspection and said he was sorry that I was given incorrect information.

Last Friday was the last time Roto-Rooter came out. This brings me to Wednesday January 23rd. 5 days after the last technician had came out. I went into the basement to get an item and saw that I had over 3” of standing water in my basement. My furnace and my water heater are located in the basement. I made sure to turn off the furnace and immediately called Roto-Rooter. It was around 5pm when my first call went out to Roto-Rooter. I explained the situation, very frustrated and explained that it was an emergency because we could not use any water in our house without it backing up into the basement and we couldn’t turn on our furnace which was not a good situation with below freezing temperatures approaching that evening.

The first call to Roto-Rooter was successful and I was then waiting on dispatch to call me back. I received a phone call from dispatch around 90 minutes after my first call. I explained the situation to dispatch and he notified me that unfortunately there was no technicians within the radius that would be available to come out that night. Despite the emergency of this event and the fact that the problem I had paid $285 to have corrected still was not corrected I was now forced with finding a different place for my wife and 2 young children to stay for the night. Dispatch explained that they could have a technician out the next day and asked what time worked for me. We decided on a four hour gap of 12pm-4pm. In that time we were unavailable to use anything in our house.

Today is Friday, January 25th 2019. Yesterday from 12-4pm I should have received a phone call from a Roto-Rooter dispatcher. I did NOT receive contact. I waited the entire day. For the 2nd day in a row I left the water stand in the basement now a little higher and gave Roto-Rooter the entire day to call me because I knew I couldn’t afford to call another company to come out. As of this morning I called a local plumbing company and they came out and ran their equipment and unclogged the main line. This technician ran 125 feet out into the city main. I had to borrow money to pay this technician to come out.

At the beginning of this email I acknowledged I would explain my situation first so I could explain what I am seeking. I feel this is simple. I was not given satisfactory work through Roto-Rooter and when an emergency occurred as a result of negligence in completely servicing the client with the goal of completing the initial task I believe I should be warranted the refund of $285 which was the cost of my initial payment. I paid for a service that was unsuccessful in the goal of clearing the blockage in my main lines. I was forced to call another company as a result of unprofessionalism in not performing the task I was told they could perform. I emailed the customer satisfaction employee, public relations employee and company president and have yet to receive a response.

Trevor,

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

NO STARS - I wish I would have found this site before we called this company. We called another plumber to come out to unclog a drain that was causing an issue with our downstairs bathroom. When that company came out the person who flushes out the line was on vacation so we could have waited but instead we called Roto-Rooter. They are a name we have heard before so we never thought we would have an issue. They came out and got their water jetter stuck in our main drain that goes to our septic. My mother in law passed away so we are trying to get ready for her wake and they said they would be back the next day to fix the issue.

The smell in our home is unbearable because they leave the everything open. It didn't smell like feces before they started but it does now. Next day same thing. Then we are told to have our septic pumped out so they can see if they can pull their jetter out they way... at our expense. So we do this. Day 3 my husband goes down to the basement and it's flooded. It wasn't flooded before they got there but it is now. Here they unplugged the sump pump but left the pump sitting in sludge so now that doesn't work...

Now today they come back cut the end of the jetter which is still stuck in our pipe... and leave. My basement is still flooded and smells like ** and my clothes are ruined and they walked away like not their problem... I have the other plumber who can verify my basement was not like this when he left hours before. My insurance agent has called and guess what voicemail!!! Guess my family will smell nice for the Wake tomorrow due to this nightmare.

Laura,

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Discovered on my own after washing machine backed up all over my basement that the main sewer line must be clogged. Made an online appt with Roto-Rooter since they are widely known. Appt time was 4-8pm and I was supposed to get a call 30 mins before arrival. The email confirmation said 4-6 so I called at 5:35pm and was told that there was a delay to my area and I would get a call. Called at 8pm and was told the same and was assured that they work 24 hrs and I would definitely get someone.

At 10 pm I called again this time angry because I couldn't flush the toilet, use water, had laundry sitting in the washer, etc. Was told the appts were backed up from 12pm but they were moving me to the next in line. Tech arrived at 11pm and confirmed what I already knew. He said the normal rate is $549 with tax would come to $600. When I said that was ridiculous he said he could do it on the side for half and would take $300 cash or check but preferred cash. Being that it was 11pm and I had no running water I paid the $300. The guy was in my house for 15 mins and left it dirty.

Jennifer,

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

Called Roto-Rooter to open a blocked kitchen drain, after my husband tried 3 times to open it up by removing the kitchen pipes and pipes in the basement and using a snake to open it up. Explained what we tried and tech told us it would cost $550. Husband said no way, he could replace all the pipes for less than that. So he dropped it to $450, we said no so he dropped it again to $350. Still felt it was too high but he was here and we wanted it done. Will never use them again and will not recommend to friends or family. If we didn't have plumbing knowledge, we would of paid that outrageous price. We thought Roto-Rooter had a good reputation... Not true.

E,

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

DO NOT USE!!! THEY WILL TRY TO FLEECE YOU TO THE BONE! 3 hrs to clean the drain, with time charged to get more water for the jet!? The technician was a young guy that knew how to sell stuff! They used a jet right away instead of using steps like any other plumber would.

Jacek,

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

Do not give this fraud company a dime! They will lie about the technician arrival service time just to have you commit to them and not seek a real company who will show up when stated! Which hinders you from calling a reputable competitor in a timely manner. They showed up to my home 3 hours late, when it was pitch dark! Unable to appropriately assess the issue! Did not fully check the main drains or cleanouts that were all located in the same area for the backed up drain! He showed up unprepared to fully service the issue needs, and “their own technician” stated to me that Roto Rooter is the worse company a consumer could call!

They will not tell you a price until they arrive and you are desperate at that point! They make up prices by looking at the area in which you reside, the size of your house and the vehicles in your driveway! $460 for a 5 minute snake and dodge job! They DID NOT take pictures of my drain like I requested and they were supposed to, and they did not assess the full issue! They make you sign the paperwork and provide the payment upfront, before they complete the full service! This is a breach of contract! Then they promise you that they will send someone back out the (following day) to finish the work! It doesn’t happen!!! They delay and delay and stall and stall for what was considered “an emergency” situation!

The worse company ever! My service was not completed and they have inconvenienced me! I’m going to file a report with the police if they try to “now” come back on my property to rectify their wrongs! I have already had to pay a new company to assess and resolve the issue because RR did absolutely nothing in the pitch dark with a tiny hand flashlight. They will never get a dime from me again and I look forward to a class action lawsuit being brought against this company!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I was promised the water main water line that broke would be fixed by Jan 16. Today is Jan 18 and found out by making numerous phone calls that now it would be at least Jan 22 before they could get back out to do final inspection. I was told not to sign the clause that would allow me to back out of the contract in 3 days because I was told the work would be finished quickly. I’m into this fix for $6,500. The technicians they send out come ill prepared. No trencher, no water pump. It’s been raining and they don’t tarp the yard so the whole trench they finally dig fills up with water, delaying the fix even longer.

Constant texts saying techs and supervisor would be out then they show up hours later and only work for a short time, then leave with absolutely no word on progress. Was told on Jan 18 that work was completed and they were waiting on inspector to show up. I looked at their progress and saw several broken water lines unfixed and my sprinkler lines were cut through and unfixed. Still waiting for work to be completed...

Jason,

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

So we had a back up in our basement and figured we would go with Roto-Rooter since they are a nationally recognized brand. They told us that we had issues with our sewage pipes and they needed to be replaced right away. Even warned us about running water too much as the pipes would back up again. They are the professionals and so they gave us a quote on the work and not knowing better and feeling the pressure to get problem fixed right away we went with them and put 50% down. They Said they would start work on Sunday and should only take 2 days. They did not come Sunday and ended up leaving message that it would be Monday. They came Monday at 4pm. Just looked at area that needed to be excavated and nothing else.

Came back Tuesday at 10 am and started digging. They stopped at 11:24 am. (I have it on my security camera.) Later we were told they found that our water line was next to our sewage line and that they would have to replace that for an extra $6000. I decided to do research and get other estimates and everything came back at half of the cost. All quotes even stated that they could do both the sewage and water line much cheaper than just what Roto-Rooter was charging just for sewage line. I called Roto-Rooter and asked what it would cost if we canceled the rest of the job. At first was told that there was no way they could cancel. Then I made another call and was then told they would cancel and fill in the hole they dug and refund me a little over $400. That would mean that they did less than 2 hours of work for $5300.

I asked if I could get an itemized breakdown of the cost and they said that they couldn’t at the moment and would have to get with escalating company. So the only option is to be out around $6000 or have them complete the job for close to $12,000. Question 1 - why were the 3 other plumbing companies quotes consistently 50% lowers than Roto-Rooter. Question 2 - why were they hesitant on getting me an itemized breakdown on the work they performed so far? It not like this is the first time they have done this. I think it’s because they have no way of justifying $5300 for less than 2 hours of work. BBB will be contacted. The entire experience will be shared on all forms of social media.

Michael,

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I called Roto-Rooter when I discovered water coming out of my washing machine drain in the basement. The technician Dave was left alone to work on my sewage line outside. After about 20-30 minutes out there he came back inside and told me that the pipe was collapsed and that he couldn't even get his equipment in the clean out because he was running into too many rocks. He quoted me $8500 to have them come replace my sewage pipe with a trenchless pipe burst. He told me it could be done tomorrow. My house is older and I'm a new homeowner so I didn't question what he was telling me because I panicked and just wanted it fixed. The whole crew came out the next morning and went to work.

A short time through digging the first hole they encountered an uncontrollable amount of groundwater (which I saw first hand). They were forced to stop what they were doing and put everything back. Dave came out while they were still on site and told me that they would need to bring in another guy to install a well point to be able to dig deep enough. The new cost would be $10,650. He sent in another technician to try a different machine to unclog it enough to run water in the house over the weekend. I left that technician to work on his own also and he called me outside about 20 minutes later again showing all kinds of rocks, trash, and debris he was pulling out of the cleanout with a long hook. He said there was nothing they could do.

The soonest they could be there to complete the job was Monday (3 days later). I was upset but I trusted them and signed the paperwork. Monday came around and no one came or called. So I waited a while and then called Dave at about 10:30 AM. He told me his subcontractor couldn't make it until Wednesday but he was looking for an alternate. I grew impatient and angry to the point where I called another company to see if they could do something faster. This other company had the clog out in literally under 5 minutes. No rocks or anything out of the ordinary came out of the cleanout; just those "flushable wet wipes."

I had that technician inspect the line with a camera and his conclusion was it would last longer than I owned the house and was in good condition, no further services required. Roto-Rooter felt comfortable literally scamming me out of over $10,000 to replace a perfectly good pipe and do permanent damage to my driveway by cutting into it to dig. Thank God for high groundwater. This time it saved me a fortune. The rocks and debris were absolutely planted by these crooks and when I called Dave after it was fixed his only response was "Really they fixed it? All those rocks in there? Well we tried for you."

Nat,

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

Monday, 01/07/2019 Roto-Rooter plumber arrived at ** to clear a clogged Kitchen sink. Stayed a little over 1.0 hours. Charged $489.00. No parts replaced. No quote before starting work. Hourly rate of $489.00/hour. Three calls to Roto-Rooter, 01/07, 01/10 and 01/11 to GM. None returned.

Michael,

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Pathetic. Was called an hour before the end of their 4 hour window to arrive to tell me that they can’t get to my appointment and would have to reschedule. Someone else told me they would do this as they had experienced the same issue. Would highly suggest getting a more professional company for your plumbing needs. Needless to say I won’t ever use this company in the future and will recommend anyone I know to never use them either.

Robert,

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I am making a complaint on one of your drivers. He was driving way over the speed limit passing vehicles on both sides of the lanes. This happened on 79 South in Pittsburgh, Pa on January 8, 2019 at 10:44 am. He didn't even use turn signals and almost side swiped my daughter's vehicle. I know this will probably not be taken care of because it's his word against mine but I just wanted to bring it to your attention.

Leigh,

Please email me so that I can look into this as soon as possible. Please also include a copy of this review.

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Roto-Rooter advertises 24 hour service. I had a clogged main line and called to get assistance. They were very prompt in getting someone scheduled to come and fix the problem. The technician showed up in the scheduled window. When I told him the problem he rolled his eyes and was very put out to have to be doing this job. He told me "These older homes are crap and it is just better to replace everything." I don't want to have to replace everything if I don't have to. He then told me that he would not be able to complete the job because he didn't have the right equipment with him.

I was very specific what the problem was when I called. He told me he would have to come back tomorrow. When I told him that I worked and that is why I scheduled them for the time I had he said, "Well we will try to work with your schedule, but we are very busy this time of year and don't know when we can get to it again." When he left I called another company who was out to my house within the hour, treated me very fairly and stayed until the job was complete which was about midnight. I will not be calling Roto-Rooter again.

Leslee,

Roto-Rooter Company Information

www.rotorooter.com
Your special offer awaits

Looking to save time and money? Join our community today! Community members receive important consumer news alerts and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands they love. Ready to join?

Sign up now with your email address!

Join our community to recieve important consumer news and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands you love.