Protect what matters most

Protect yourself from the unexpected - Shop home warranty companies.

Protect my home
3.18/5

Protect what matters most

Protect yourself from the unexpected - Shop home warranty companies.

Protect my home

583 Roto-Rooter Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 31, 2019

Roto-Rooter came out to my house and gave me a quote on a repair. I had been dealing with this problem for many years. Every 6 months my drains would back up. Eddie was able to explain everything in detail as to how they planned to fix my repair. It was a bit pricey but I haven't had any more problems. I'm not made of money, but they did provide me with finance options that made it easier for me to get my home fixed.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

Wis was amazing, very professional and very hardworking young man. He told me exactly what he going to do to solve the problem and he made sure that everything was running well before he left. Thank you Wis.

Thank you!

Get expert buying tips about Online Bathroom Fixtures and Plumbing delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

Pat (1899) came out today to assess our leak. He quickly discovered that our water heater was in bad shape and in need of replacement. He was knowledgeable and very pleasant. Thanks for taking care of our problem so quickly and efficiently on this busy holiday weekend. We really appreciate it.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

Our church building had a major water pipe broken underneath the concrete floor on 11/25. I called Roto-Rooter in the morning of 11/26 and the technician Doc ** arrived before 8 am immediately. Instead of breaking the concrete floor to search for the broken pipe, he made a quick and wise decision that he would bypass the pipes underneath the concrete floor. He finish the whole job within 4 hours with very reasonable price. God has answered our pray!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

Roto-Rooter in Richmond VA - The service was great, the customer service rep Tammy was kind and had a positive attitude. Chris and Evan came out to my home in a timely manner. They were very knowledgeable and professional. They fixed the problem and saved me thousands. Thanks.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Roto-Rooter?

Original review: June 12, 2019

I called them to fix a leak in my bathroom. They proceeded to bill me a rate according to my insurance agent at Farmers that was way over the standard. They then doubled billed for leak detection and doubled billed for lead testing due to their own error. They said they would own their mistake and not bill me for the double lead testing but did anyway. Do not use them or at your own risk. They do not call back. In my opinion this is not a reputable company.

Original review: June 3, 2019

I have used Roto-Rooter in the past with some level of satisfaction, and referred family as well. However, I needed a wax seal replaced on my toilet and they estimated $485 claiming it was a commercial rate. I own a 3 family of which I live in one unit and family members in the other units. I was appalled and refused the work. Hired a local handyman for $85 plus $10 for the wax seal. Roto-Rooter is becoming corrupt and I would not recommend any longer.

Original review: June 1, 2019

Had emergency call on a Sunday night. Two clogged toilets that ended up being clogged with 13 Lysol wipes. Job was completed, but the charge was $524.00. I was shocked. The next day I found the toilet the plumber had reset was wobbling. Turns out, he broke one of the base bolts. He had to know he broke the bolt, but left anyway! Called to have them come to repair. Have made 2 appointments with them and no one has shown or called either time. I called numerous times and was assured someone was coming. I wasted a whole day waiting. My time is valuable. At this time I am so fed up I will probably just take them to court!

Original review: May 28, 2019

Had a backed up kitchen drain. Just needed to have them run a snake down the pipe. Said they needed to discuss the cost, which was $379. I had just had a toilet removed and snake run for $160 by another company. Went out and purchased a snake for $40 and easily run it. Took around 30 minutes. Do it yourself or find another plumber!

Original review: May 24, 2019

I contacted Roto-Rooter to unplug an exterior 4" buried gutter drain. The plumber that met me suggested using a Jet instead of a traditional snake. The cost was $200 more. I agreed but at no time did he ever tell me that they can't guarantee that they could clear the drain for the $619 estimate. After less than 2 hours of trying to clear the drain I was told that this is as far as he could go. The plumber did call the office to knock $100 off the bill but if they had told me up front that there was no guarantee they could clear it I would have said no thanks and just dug it up and replaced it myself.

I also do not like the fact that the plumber wrote down my credit card number as Roto-Rooter in Rochester NY must not know that they should have a phone or tablet with a reader like the rest of the large companies doing service work. I would have paid him with a check. Like the rest of the 1 star reviews I called to talk with a manager and was sent to voice mail. No one has called me back.

Original review: May 23, 2019

The plumber made it seem the drain work was more serious than it was. Our invoice was $570 for two hours labor. We we called about the bill. We were told Roto-Rooter doesn’t have an hourly rate even though our invoice said two hours labor. After reading many other negative reviews, it’s seems this is common practice with Roto-Rooter.

Original review: May 21, 2019

I had a clog between the House and the Septic Tank, which caused the toilet to overflow on 1st floor. The Septic tank was pumped within 2 weeks of this issue arising. Taking that this person was a professional was my mistake. There was a clean out trap to address this, but the service man decided to go through the toilet. The distance to the Sewer line was now 40' away instead of 15'. He supposedly ran 100' snake line with no results. Proceeded to tell me that must be out at the septic tank and past. With the cost going into the $K.

I got another opinion, which both individuals informed me that it was still in the line between the house and the septic system. I bought a snake and did it my self. They charged $700 with no results. I paid $50 and did it my self. Have called to complain and no one returns my calls or provided any satisfaction to their wrongful professionalism. I urge you to stay away from this type of company.

Original review: May 9, 2019

I had Roto-Rooter come out because my washer drain pipe was leaking every time we ran the washer or ran the bath. They came out and inspected it and told me the pipe in the ground detached and wanted over $5000 to fix the issue. I ended up digging and reconnecting myself but the cost just for the guy to walk in the door was $500. Very expensive for 30 min of service.

That same day a damage control guy from the company came out and told me I needed to cut out my walls in the basement and remove all the trim and replace my carpets on my second floor due to contamination. I told him I don’t have that type of money and will do it myself. He insisted that I wouldn’t have to pay anything and that insurance will cover all the expenses plus repairs. I asked him repeatedly that I wouldn’t have to do anything or pay anything and he assured me I didn’t have to do or pay a thing. They came out the next day removed the carpet and cut all the Sheetrock 24” from the floor. They were there no longer than 1.5 hours and the guy assured me again that they deal with the insurance company and that I wouldn’t pay or deal with anything.

The next week I get a call from the insurance company to set up a walk through of all the damage. When the adjuster came out he said that the carpets weren’t covered and that they were only supposed to take out the areas that were contaminated and not the whole thing. A few weeks went by and I didn’t hear anything from the adjuster or Roto-Rooter so I called the adjuster to find out what was going on. He gave me my quote which was only $7700 and I had a $5000 deductible. Not only now have I been dealing with the insurance I’m also gonna have to pay out of pocket to fix all my damages to my house.

After I received the check from the adjuster Roto-Rooter sent out a bill to me for $8000. Not only did they bill me like they said they wouldn’t their bill was over the amount of what I received from insurance. I called the financial department and the guy John was extremely rude and refused to hear me out. He kept cutting me off and basically told me either pay or go to court. This has been one of the worse experiences I have ever had and they are the biggest insurance scam company I have ever known. Stay far away and don’t believe a word they say.

Original review: May 9, 2019

On 5/3/2019 I called Roto-Rooter because clear water was coming up like a spring in first floor bathroom. There was at least an inch of water before it was discovered. I thought a pipe had broken or the seal from the toilet was no good. So after the tech figured out what he thought was wrong he stated that it was my Septic line had collapsed and that they needed to bring in heavy equipment and possibly dig up my back addition and yard, which would cost $10,000 reduced by the $450.00 that we paid him, because we had no proper use of toilet for three days. I really think that it shouldn’t have cost 450.00 and that the fix was very overpriced. As I said earlier we still couldn’t use our bathroom properly. We are senior citizens plus my husband is a Vet. No consideration whatsoever. No I wouldn’t recommend this company.

Original review: May 8, 2019

We had a garbage disposal replaced couple weeks ago by ROTO-ROOTER. The technician replaced the old unit with the new one and could not test it because the switch was bad. We called an electrician and had the switch fixed for $150. The bill was $192.00 for the garbage disposal (found out the cost is typically $100 at major stores for the brand they sold us.). But the real robbery is we were charged $525.00 for labor. It took the technician 20 minutes to replace the unit. We made several calls to the company to inquire about these excessive charges and left countless voicemails to no avail. We we’re completely ignored. This is very unprofessional, unethical and deceptive conduct on the part of ROTO-ROOTER. How can you justify $525.00 for labor for a 20 minutes work. Never ever again we will deal with ROTO-ROOTER again.

Original review: May 3, 2019

Faucet handle cracked and I called Roto Rooter for repair estimate. Tech said I need the entire faucet replaced at a $440.00 cost PLUS the cost of the entire faucet. I declined the repair and went to Lowe's and bought a new faucet handle for $10.31 and replaced the on faucet with one screw. Tech should have explored the issue a lot further. When I asked about another faucet that although functional was tight to open, he said he did not know what was wrong. A most unsatisfactory visit.

Original review: April 30, 2019

We had Roto-Rooter in Canton come to our house because we could not get another plumber out soon enough to fix a clogged drain. They snaked out our drain and convinced my husband that we needed to have our line "jetted" out. They charged us $244 to unclog the drain and then wanted another $191 to jet. When they came back out to Jet out the line the next day, their equipment got stuck in our piping. They told us that WE would have to pay for them to dig up our yard to get their equipment out of our pipe. My husband told them that he had a problem with that and the manager came out 2 days later and tore up our yard and got their equipment out and discovered that the entire bottom of the pipe was destroyed from the jetting.

They left it exposed and said that we would have to pay them $1700 to fix 10' of pipe and they were not sure if that was the extent of the damage. They said it was our responsibility and that the pipes were old. Now we cannot use our kitchen or bathroom and we have a huge trench dug through the landscape that they claim they are not responsible to fix. Now, since we refuse to pay them to fix their own mistake, we have to pay someone else to fix this pipe which they destroyed. They should have known that our pipes were old and would be compromised if they put the pressure through them. This is very irresponsible and not good business. I would never use this company again!

Original review: April 29, 2019

The tech Jason ** lied about how they will be billing. He claimed he would work directly with our insurance and when push comes to shove they are not even responding to our insurance. They have given up trying to reach Roto-Rooter and gave us the best they could without speaking with them. They went way above their estimate. And I had to help the guy. They only sent one guy to do what is most definitely at least a 2 man job, and I had to help. They are extremely overpriced. Please I beg you. Do not give them your business. They will take advantage of you, and they will lie!

Original review: April 29, 2019

We were told they would arrive between 12pm-1pm. No one showed up. We called and they said "2:30". That came and went. We called again at 3. The woman was rude and said it should be soon. 4:30 came and went and again nothing. No one ever called to tell us they were delayed. We had to continue calling all day. The receptionist was rude and sounded annoyed by our concerns. We ended up going with a great local company who actually cared enough to call us back, show up, and charged us over $300 less. Would never use Roto-Rooter again.

Original review: April 28, 2019

I had a great technician that came out. However he was not able to fix the problem because it was a bigger issue and yet I was charged. I was highly disappointed and dissatisfied. I came out of pocket for something that couldn't be fix. I was charged for a rate as if the issue was fixed when in fact nothing was done.

Original review: April 25, 2019

Garbage Disposal Replacement - On Thursday, April 18, 2019, I discovered about 4 inches of black murky water had accumulated under my kitchen sink. Having used Roto-Rooter for a major leak (burst pipe from washing machine) in February, 2019, I called and made arrangements for plumber to come. He arrived promptly, within 40 minutes of my call, and quoted me $176.00 for a new disposal (identical to the one being replaced, that, btw sells at Lowe's for $114) and $440 for labor (job took maybe an hour) I voiced my disapproval of the high cost and was told I would get $60 off... which was the coupon I was using anyway. He ended up taking $100 off the bill, but I still feel that was an excessive charge for this job. With tax, total came to about $540... I will not use again.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I wish that I had read the reviews before choosing Roto-Rooter. I had to have my main sewer line and trap replaced from the house to the curb with PVC pipe, and a sleeve liner inserted into the pipe under my house. The job was to be done in two parts on Saturday 4/20 and on Monday 4/22. The lead on the job, Joe, called to reschedule the first part for Friday 4/19 due to upcoming bad weather, which was fine since I work from home and told him such. The crew arrived Friday around noon and started around 1 pm. Although I was told that I did not have to be home in order for them to complete the work. It was a good thing I was. They constantly needed to come inside to check where the water valve was and to use an outlet for their machine since there isn't one in the front of the house.

They were very unprofessional, constantly arguing/yelling and cursing with one another. They finished up late in the evening around 7pm, and I called their boss to complain. He apologized and said he'd send a different crew out on Monday. Around 8pm I was surprised to find that someone else from Roto-Rooter had shown up to clean the line after I had been told that they would do so on Monday. This man failed to inform me that clearing the line would likely result in an explosion of water from my toilet if I did not put the lid down. I was furious when I saw all of that nasty toilet water had gotten onto every wall of my bathroom, as well as the sink. What's worse is that the tech did not finish cleaning the line until 10pm and the machine was very loud. I stayed up until midnight trying to clean everything.

The crew that came out on Monday were, I must admit, very polite and respectful. They were professional and quiet and got the job done. I remitted the second half of payment (I paid the first half when I scheduled the work) but was annoyed to find out that the back-fill for the property would not be done until the inspector passed the job - something of which I was unaware. Today, I looked at my bank account and the company had cashed my checks DESPITE the fact that the job has not passed inspection and the mess in my front yard has not been cleaned/back-filled.

This is unprofessional and unacceptable. You simply do not take payment for something that is incomplete. The right thing to do would have been to wait to cash the second half of payment until the job was complete. I feel stupid. I should have withheld payment until it was back-filled. I do not believe that I will be using Roto-Rooter again in the future. I've contacted Customer Service and am waiting to hear back.

Melissa,

We appreciate your feedback and wish to talk to you as soon as we can. Please email me your full-service address including zip code so that I can look into this as soon as possible. Please also include a copy of this review.

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: April 18, 2019

I called Roto-rooter at 8:14 am at 616-259-4023 and talked to a dispatcher. I told him I had a sewer line that needed to be cleaned out. I asked him approximately how much it would be just to clean out a line. He said he is just a dispatcher and doesn't have any pricing. He said they would have a technician come out and he would give me a estimated cost for the job. He expected them to be there around 11 am on the same day. He called back and said they are going to be earlier maybe a little after 10 am.

At 10:28 am I received a call from the technician George on site (this is a rental home I am the landlord). He called me from 616-802-7371 number. He told me the estimate was about $480.00! I said that seemed like an awful lot cleaning the line. He said he found the clean out and figured he would have to go all the way out to the street which is about 120 feet away from the clean out. I told him that I was pretty sure the main sewer line ran thru the alleyway right behind the house. He also said that it included a $100.00 charge just to come to the site. Their dispatcher said they would come and give me a estimate. He didn't say it would cost me $100.00 just to come to the site.

Since it was a estimated payment (this was written on the receipt) I figured it wouldn't be that much as it never was anytime we had it done before. He also remarked that the clean out I had installed made the job a lot easier that going all the way from a toilet inside the house. I received a text message from the tenant that he was finished up at 11:21 am less than a hour after he started and that he had the copy of the receipt and would send it to me and it was for $480.00 - $20.00 for a online coupon they had on their website.

I called their office on Monday morning and talked to a dispatcher again. I asked him how much is it normally for a truck to clean out one line. He said he doesn't have any pricing. Only the Technicians have pricing. I asked him if I could talk to the Technician and he said no. He must have sensed my frustration and asked if I would like to talk to a manager instead. I said, "Yes I would like to talk to him." He told me he would transfer me over to him and put me on hold. After less than a minute he came back and said the manager was on another line but would call me back. I checked to make sure he had my cell phone number and he read it back to me correctly. Of course the manager has never called me back.

I feel that the $100.00 dollar charge to get there shouldn't been charged since they told me they would come and give me a estimate first. Also on the bill in addition to the cleaning of the line which had its own repair code, he also added a second repair code for video inspection of the line. George the technician never asked if I wanted a video inspection or told me that was part of his estimate. As I would have told him not to do that as we have had this problem before and I know it is roots growing into the line.

Looking online I see they charge almost as much for a video inspection as for the line cleaning. Also looking online I found the typical price for cleaning a line is from $133 - $213. Also since he had estimated that he would have to clean out the line all the way to the road approximately 120' and he only went 27' that the cost should have be way less than his original estimate. I feel that a total fair cost would be $200.00 and they can refund me the extra $260.00 they took under unfair conditions. We had this line cleaned out 4 times over the last 15 years and never had been charged even close to $200.00. Very poor company. Stay away and save yourself a lot of heartache.

Charles,

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: April 13, 2019

Wish I had read the reviews before I called these people. I have a backed up drain in my dishwasher. They told me they would be here between 5 p.m. and 9 p.m. on Thursday 4/11. The dispatcher called me at 7 p.m. and told me that the technician was running late and they would call me when he was on his way. At some point I fell asleep at the dispatcher calls me at 12:38 a.m. (no joke). I was sound asleep and told her that no I didn't want them to come to my house past midnight so she said someone would come first thing in the morning but I told her I would be at work in the morning and I would just call them back. The next morning the dispatcher calls to tell me they are on their way. Seriously why in the world would you call someone at midnight for something that is not an emergency. I let them come anyway, he's fixing my toilet now but wondering what kind of company I'm dealing with here.

Melissa,

Original review: April 12, 2019

Ok it's a long story with this company, so this lady Margie ** email my husband, and he didn't answer because he's at work, and threat my husband she gonna send our bill to the collection. So the roto rooter charge us $2,239 for only drying the water. They didn't even put back our wall they cut. So we were planning to pay the $1000 deductible anyways coz we tired of arguing with this people, so one have $1000 right away. We have to figure out how to pay, and Margie ** email and tell my husband she gonna send our bill to collection when your company didn't even put back the wall of my garage. Wow what a bad customer service and worse expensive company ever, and when I call her and she said, "Oh he work 24 hours." Wow. Hey lady you will get a response when my husband available. How rude and unprofessional you are.

And Plummer they charge us $300 the first day and the second day another Plummer come and he said it's $300 again. Your company is ripping people off. I don't recommend this company to anyone, they will make you broke. This was happen last month and they send us the bill by the end of the month and she want to send to the collection. Rude, rude, rude.

Tina,

Original review: April 12, 2019

I had an appointment for a plumbing repair between 9:00 AM and 1:00 PM ON Friday 04/12/2019. A "Field Supervisor" showed up before 9:00 AM, inspected the job, and told me the plumber will show up before noon. At approximately 11:30 AM I called to see when I should expect the plumber. It took over half an hour to get anyone to respond. I was told by dispatch that "they are delayed". She could not give me even a window of time. She basically told me to wait the rest of the day. I finally managed to talk to a "manager" named Michele who was of absolutely no help. They expected me to wait the entire day and hope that someone will show up. Given the prices they charge (see over 500 negative reviews), I decided to cancel the appointment. I WILL NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH THIS ORGANIZATION!

Mac,

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: April 11, 2019

I had a leak from our water line just outside my house where the line connects to the house so I called Roto-Rooter for assistance. The salesman was out within a couple of hours that morning and was very nice and professional. He quoted me $1475 to find the leak and repair it. I paid and by 12 PM they had a tech on site to repair the problem.

Two hours later, the job was finished and the tech was gone... but he left me with his digger tracks all over my sidewalk and driveway. One might think that for $737 an hour the tech would clean up his mess. Now I'm stuck with it. BTW: he dug up two of my shrubs around the water line and didn't return them to their spots but instead stuffed them under my Japanese Maple. This was a HUGE hit job on the customer.. no way this should have cost $1475 for two hours work.. no way. Yep, I did get a completed job and they came out and did the job the same day. But in the end, they ripped me.

Follow Up to Customer Service Rep Request. I'm changing their rating to a one star as a result of their custom service follow up. Pat ** made a request that I contact him about the issue and he then forwarded my response to him to the General Manager Lance **, who called me within a few hours. Mr ** accepted no accountability or responsibility for the damages to my sidewalk and driveway.

Furthermore he stated that it their business practice was to use set price quotes that would cover the costliest option efforts without consideration if the job effort is far less; it's just their gain when they complete the job in a small fraction of the effort estimated. He used an example where their charges are for three to four hours but the work was completed in fifteen minutes but they still charged $600 with no adjustment. He also stated that I could have hired a local plumber down the street to do my job for $100 to $200 easily. For me it was less than two hours work for one person and was charged $1500.

Timothy,

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: April 10, 2019

I had a clog in my kitchen sink, it did have a clog but the sink was able to drain on it own. I called Roto-rooter to come out as I was told that they would be there that day and when the technician arrived (the next day) I was quoted a price of $584, the technician did not even look at my sink. I was just quoted a price. I told him the price was way too high as I already had verbal quotes from 3 other companies, $89, $93 and $149, I chose Roto-Rooter as they were supposed to be there the same day and I figured the price would be about the same. The technician ended up coming the next day as his equipment broke on a job prior to mine, I was told by the technician that I would get a discount for the trouble.

I told him the price was too high and he lowered the price a couple of times as I stated it was still too high, I ended up paying $300 for the job. The technician ran a snake through the line which took maybe 10 minutes, if even that. I was charged $300 for 10 minutes of work. I feel like I was taken advantage of. The only reason I agreed to let him do the work as he was already there and I canceled an appointment that I had with another plumber and I needed to have it fixed. The technician was friendly and unclogged my drain but I felt I got ripped off. I’m very disappointed and will not use them again, I also will not recommend them.

Valerie,

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: April 9, 2019

I was feeling ok about my service, on time, cleaned up afterward, technician good, UNTIL I started researching on how much this service is supposed to cost. I had my toilet removed so he could run a fancy snake with a rotating blade on it down my line to clear a clog. That was over $650. From what I can tell it should have been half that price on average from other companies, and now I have no resource to remedy this overcharge. Will not use again.

Jennifer,

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: April 8, 2019

I called Roto-Rooter on the afternoon of Saturday, April 6th, 2019; it was 2 days ago. One of my toilets is being clogged and unclog on it's own. When it's clogged and I run water in the tub or in the bathroom sink, the water in the toilet bubbles. When the technician came out, he diagnosed a clogged sewer line. He offered 3 options to choose from: a basic that is around $300, an intermediate that is around $400 and the hydro jet that cost $658. He said that after 2 hours, the hydro jet option will incur additional $350 per hour. We finally opted for the hydro jet.

After 40 minutes, he got tired, I guessed, stopped, and said that all he can do and that he will talk to his boss to see what else they can do, because, there is a stick too in there that the camera was showing. The following day, my husband bought a long stick at Walmart, placed a hook at the end and took the stick out. But the issue remained the same today, Monday morning. Nothing has changed. I called customer service and got treated rudely because I was upset. When you realize you got ripped off, would do you not get upset? Stay away from Roto-Rooter.

Sena,