Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.64/5

Banner image

Need help with a bathroom project?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Banner image

Need help with a bathroom project?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Roto-Rooter Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Roto-Rooter?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Roto-Rooter?

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

They charge $194 per hour (no joke) for work. Office staff rude. I called another plumber for same quote. They gasped when I told them the hourly rate that these guys use. The plumber I called only charges $79 for the service call, quotes the job after inspection, gives a bid quote to do the entire job, credits the invoice for the $79 paid and THEN BILLS for payment. Not Roto-Rooter. They quoted me by the hour w/ a minimum to job of 3 which would have been around $600 bucks (not guaranteeing that it wouldn't take longer) and they wanted payment upfront. Unbelievable.

I'm not sure what has happened to this company over the years but I'll never use them again nor will I refer them to anyone. They say that customer satisfaction is their #1 but I think I need to make a call to corporate on this one. This company picks and chooses who they will do business with. Zero humility. I'm eager to see what their response to this review is. I speak truth. People who cheat others with greed hate truth. Good luck with the business guys. There are better companies out there.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

They tried to gouge us!!! We had a minor condo emergency where one of the sinks was clogged. Our guests were slightly upset and our property manager was away. Evan from the Roto Rooter came out and wanted to charge us $655.00 to fix a clogged sink. If I had been there, I could have fixed it myself in five minutes as it was probably hair in the drain. Evan said he didn't set the prices. The company did. Keep away. A bunch of crooks.

Get buying tips about Online Bathroom Fixtures and Plumbing delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2021

Stay away from this business all the way. I made the mistake of hiring their services to unclog my kitchen drain, and they charged me $397.00 for this job. Totally my fault for not to look other estimates, but the necessity to get the drain unclog, made me move with their service. I later find out (you can google the prices) that this is a job in the $150.00 to $250.00 price range. When I inquired about this, their answer was that they are not a mom and pop plumbers, that they are a corporate. They offered $75.00 dollars discount which I also noticed it was the special running at that week, but never mentioned to me before hand. Still $322.00 to unclog a drain is overpriced. DO NOT go with them, instated, do some research first. I'll post this review in all other sites so hopefully more people is aware.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

DO NOT USE Roto-Rooter. It is my recommendation that no one use Roto-Rooter for service. We called for a service visit to assess a couple of water leaks. Their website and phone message says $57 service fee with a free diagnostic estimate. They have called my wife 6 times today to try and collect $175.00 for a diagnostic fee. Although the plumber was very nice, he did not bring any kind of equipment into our house other than his own eyes. He even said that he thought the toilets were our problem but not 100% for sure. He told my wife that they would call to collect the $57 over the phone as he left. Then he put in a ticket for $175.

Again, she has been called no less than 6 times today and during one of the calls told that notes would be put on the account that a manager would call Monday to go over the charges. And she still received 2 more calls after that. She is going to notify BBB and we just wanted to let our neighbors know to beware if you choose to call this company.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2020

Do not use them, the plumbers who do the work are scamsters and will lie about the job so as to charge you the most, they do not even do the job properly so they can charge you for a second visit. We have apartments in Columbus that were blocked and backed up, called Roto Rooter and scheduled a call out, 1) They never came so I had to call the next day and schedule another call out. 2) When the first guy came out he went to the most expensive option (water Jetting). $991 later and "cleared the drains" one of our tenants told him about the mess inside, but he did not go in and check, instead he left. The Tenant told me that the drains were still blocked, so I called Roto Rooter, was told it's under warranty, he came out again and then charged me $400 to clear the drain that should have been completed in the first time.

I rang head office and spoke to a Manager Rob, who assured me that he would resolve it and raise a credit for me, told me he would call me back, which he has not. I rang 3 times and left messages but they will not return my calls, so I am never going to use Roto Rooter for any of my 23 buildings ever again, and highly recommend other people to go else where also. The company has short term views and clearly only want to rip people off, and this goes all the way to the managers.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2020

Technician came out to diagnose why I had water coming out from my bathroom sink vanity. He told me it was the trap that needed to be replaced and told me the cost would be $79.00. He then said the problem may be due to the pipes being corroded but then discovered that the drain had been clogged only after I asked him a second time if this was indeed the problem. He then said the job would be $250 so I asked if I could use a $60.00 off coupon on this price and was told I could not since job was really $510 according to him and I was already getting and discount.

They try to tell you it is another problem which would be more expensive when the actual problem is less expensive and then disallow you from using their coupon by telling you that you are already being charged at a discounted cost. They should give you the true/actual cost upfront and specify on their coupons what the dollar amount for a job can the coupon be used on or else do not create coupons if the customer can not use them. I would not use them again for my plumbing needs nor would I recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2020

Did not fix our clogged drain! We spent $390 for a 15 minute service call for a backed up kitchen sink/clogged drain. They snaked the drain but it didn't work, The only solution offered was to go further with snake but there was 50/50 chance it would break the trap. They recommended using chemicals to unclog, We gave the chemicals a shot to no avail. We ended up calling a local plumber in our town who tried to unclog, another $450 out of pocket without a fix. The local plumber recommended that we call a larger company like Roto Rooter or Mr Rooter because they have special equipment that goes further in drain and sprays water. Since Roto Rooter didn't help the first time around, we opted to call Mr Rooter and problem fixed! Shame in Roto Rooter, I think the guys that were dispatched to our house didn't want to be bothered with our drain issue. Terrible service and we will never call Roto Rooter again.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

They wanted $375 for a drain to be cleaned that I got cleaned for $69. Guy said he was too fat to go under house for clean out so it was gonna cost me? I asked him to leave & was glad to pay the $ to get rid of him. DO NOT HIRE.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2020

Our water heater went out over the weekend and we contacted first search came up on the internet considering household name company should not be so bad. Our water heater is 13 years old and it wasn't surprised that we were recommended a new unit. Technician was very through going over picture explaining our issues. They quoted us $2500 for 40 gallon new unit with labor.

We didn't do research before they came, so we agreed, but while they are working on it, we started to do some research since it sounded a bit high. Our research showed that average cost would be about $1500 in our area, and highest would be $2000. It had been a couple of hours since they started working on it, so it was too late or too expensive to pay for the work they've done so far. But we negotiated to $2000. Still high end, but better than $2500. It is part of our fault not to research beforehand, but this company will try to take advantage of you if you know nothing about it. Very dishonest and disappointed with this big name company.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

Worst experience I've ever had. I was price gouged, Paid over 11,000 dollars and they didn't finish the job. They replaced pipe on the sewer line, said they were finished with the job and wouldn't be back, that the dirt mover would finish. I seen trash and called the company and the plumber changed up the story saying, "We'll be back with the dirt mover, we aren't done yet." I called the local office trying to get ahold of someone, called corporate and was told they would notify the local office and was left in the dark. Was so aggravated with the company, when they did come back I told them to leave and make sure someone calls me before they show up unannounced.

Needless to say, I spent all weekend shoveling dirt back into a 75 ft long and 3 ft. deep hole in my backyard. Unprofessional people who never followed CDC guideline rules, smoked on the job and threw ** all over the yard, also had an unknown man on my property and did some weird money exchange and he left right after. I CANNOT stress this enough, use anyone but these people. I trusted the name and got screwed.

Roto-Rooter Company Information