Find an Online Bathroom Fixtures and Plumbing partner

Help me decide

3.6/5 (619 ratings)
Find an Online Bathroom Fixtures and Plumbing partner
Banner image

Need help with a bathroom project?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About Roto-Rooter

Banner image

Need help with a bathroom project?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Roto-Rooter Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Roto-Rooter?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Roto-Rooter?

Original review: May 3, 2021

Quick to arrive. Great service. Spent the time needed to get it right the first time. Friendly and knowledgeable. Did a good job cleaning up. I would recommend Roto Rooter to all of my friends and neighbors.

Original review: July 15, 2021

I had Roto-Rooter come to my house in King City on June 28, 2021 for a backed up drain. Tech explained that my house was old and had debris in the lines and recommended a hydro-jet cleaning for $1,400. The tech jetted out my lines and told me the line was clear and all was good. Today is July 15th and my drain is already clogged again. I called to Roto-Rooter to come visit my house again. Tech explained again that my line was clogged and that they do NOT GUARANTEE their work and I have to pay another $1,400 to do the same job they failed to do the first time. My recommendation is do not call them at all. Go with Benson Plumbing for a quality company that will stand behind their work.

Roto-Rooter response

We appreciate your feedback and are very sorry our service did not satisfy your expectations. Please email me your full-service address, including the zip code, so that I can look into this issue as soon as possible. My email is Pat.Swanson@rrsc.com. Please also include a copy of this review.

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Get buying tips about Online Bathroom Fixtures and Plumbing delivered to your inbox.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: July 12, 2021

I am a young woman who called RR for blocked drain, they said they would be out between 4 and 8 pm, they arrived at midnight, gave a price of $550.00 to clear tub and toilet, came back in at 1230 a.m. Said would not clear tub unless I gave him another $350.00. I was totally scammed, he took advantage of a young woman.

Roto-Rooter response

I am the liaison between the branch and the customer. I have submitted a formal complaint to the General Manager. You can expect to hear from a member of the management staff shortly.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: July 10, 2021

I wish I read the reviews here before calling Roto Rooter Boston South for my clogged kitchen drain and leaky toilet. Their technician arrived and said the sink declogging would be $535 whether it took 15 minutes or 2 hours. We declined and went with a local service who was less than half that cost. We did go with Roto Rooter’s quoted high cost for fixing the leaky toilet to save on the $79 fee for them just coming to our house. The service tech diagnosed the problem as a bad flapper. However, upon leaving he noted that there was still a bowl leak?? We went down and flushed the toilet which leaked all over the BR floor - which had never happened before? Their local manager was disinterested in reviewing their tech’s work. So they left us - with a now, non-operating toilet and a big bill. Wow. But in the end, I’m just glad they left!

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: July 8, 2021

Beware of these professional scammers! I called for a plumber another person showed up which I thought was the plumber and he was from their water restoration team that I wasn’t aware of coming out. They never communicated with me about their water restoration team coming out besides the plumber!!!! So, this guy shows up saying they would need tear out my kitchen (which was just remodeled a couple years ago) and I had water damage on a completely dry floor and they had to call my insurance company which put me in panic mode because I thought I had all this damage!!!

I was tricked into signing a contract because I thought I had water damage and my homeowners insurance company had to get involved!!!! Come to find out I had Absolutely no water damage they came with some blowers and now I’m stuck with a $1600 bill!!!! I called for a plumber and they came with all this extra nonsense!!!! I tried to get his resolved with Steve the manager in the restoration department which is very RUDE may I add! He threatened to hang on me several times! He told my husband he will discount the bill to a $1000 if the insurance company didn’t take care of it! But guess what that didn’t happen! I will never do business with this company again!!!! Shame on you for taking advantage of homeowners!!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: July 7, 2021

I had used Roto Rooter multiple times and had good experiences, preferring them to a local plumber for multitude of reasons - but mainly because I thought it was more standardized pricing, and you don't have to deal with bargaining with a plumber, and you know you'll get a quality experience. But I won't ever use them again after my last experience - Got someone to come snake an outdoor small drain clog (it didn't end up needing to be snaked, and they still charged full price, but that's not why I'm writing the review) - the Rotorooter employee shows up and tells me it will be $600 to snake a drain... I told him I wouldn't pay that and he can leave, since RotoRooter just did this indoors for a drain clog and it was ~$250... After he asked how long ago that was and continued to press, he offered to do it for $300 - within 2 minutes of discussion! This is NOT why I liked using RotoRooter and unless they remedy this I will never use them again.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: June 30, 2021

We made an appointment to get our clog drain fixed. Before the tech even began I had to sign a paper that NO MATTER HOW LONG IT TAKES TO FIX IT COSTS $535. Nobody said this upfront, we found out as the tech is asking me to sign. I will never use this company again! Sure, he fixed the clog in the shower drain and now a big leak in the basement that of course he couldn’t fix, unless we make a new appt and probably pay another $535. What a rip off. We called our own plumber which we should have done to begin with. My hope with this review is that others will now know about the upfront charges.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: June 29, 2021

My 82 year old mom kitchen sink was clogged. The technician was very polite, ran the snake a couple of time. Told me that the pipe was busted. Paid $161.90 (senior discount) and that my parents would have to replace the pipe at a cost of $3621.90. Called a plumber came out unclogged the sink, told me grease buildup. Roto-rooter is a total scam. Can I get back the money I paid 3 days ago????

Roto-Rooter response

The Roto-Rooter in your service area is a contractor location. Your email has been forwarded to the Contractors Department who can mediate your information to the owner of the contractor location who serviced you. Someone from the contractor location will reach out to you. Should you need to contact the Contractors Department, please email contractor.customerservice@rrsc.com.

Original review: June 15, 2021

Had a sewer back up issue and called Roto Rooter. I should have called around first. First person out was very helpful and official looking. Great attitude and pleasant to speak with. Was not able to solve my issue that night and called a supervisor to come out and get to the bottom of things. From there on, it was a TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE! Started out with a lie from a supervisor telling me he spoke to my wife about showing up the following morning. She never once spoke with him so I should have known who I was dealing with at that point. From there on, he said how he was going to do something and then never delivered.

Once the work started, roto rooter was not the ones doing it, instead they hired some of the worst contractors to come out and leave a messy work place of me and the neighbor's yard. Left old sewer boards and concrete wire exposed in the driveway with no intention of making it right. Most of the contractors spoke zero English and were not able to even tell me what they were doing. Different crew every day, again, not roto rooter employees. 8 days later, I just wanted to pay the bill to get it all over with! I will NEVER RECCOMEND this company in San Antonio TX. Go with a local owned company and get it done right by people that care about the work they do, not contractors that just get paid for day labor. 12.6k later, expensive lesson learned!!!

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: June 7, 2021

This company is so unethical! They are not looking to fix your plumbing problems. They inflate pricing, have the worst business practices, and Service. Charged $450 to snake a line 50 feet and never put toilet back on. Initial call was for jetting lines in house due to over flowing toilet and sinks draining slowly. They also never showed up on time... They were 3 hours late. I immediately called to get someone back to attach toilet and the next day no one showed up. Still waiting days later. Don’t use this company! They are crooks and stand behind nothing.

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: June 2, 2021

PLEASE BE AWARE!! DO NOT USE ROTO ROOTER!! THEY ARE SCAMMING HOMEOWNERS!! My son and his fiancé just purchased their first home on Thursday, they noticed the utility sink in the basement was backing up which seemed to look like brown paper towels or cardboard when they would flush the toilets on Saturday, we called Roto Rooter to come out because we assumed the lines were clogged from the material. Roto Rooter advised it would cost $689.00 to snake the line, if they could not get the line unclogged it would be a charge of $200.00. This includes a camera to look at the pipe to make sure nothing else was damaged. The gentleman gave me a discount and charged $500.00 to snake the line, He was able to unclog the pipe.

HERE IS WHERE THE SCAM BEGINS!! The Camera Man “Doug” arrives to use the camera. Immediately on arrival he says to my son, "OH you just bought this house." He forces the camera down the pipe from the inside of the basement. He tells my son he has major problems, "There are rocks coming inside your house through the pipes." I have a recording of the camera and we did not see any rocks whatsoever. He told us the pipes needed to be excavated and replaced. He told my son there was no clean out outside his home so that would need to be installed as well. He quoted my son $8,000.00 to dig up the yard, replace the pipe and install a clean out!!!

Doug told my son he could not stay at his home; he could not run any water at all, or it would cause major issues. My son and his fiancé had not even slept one night in the house yet, they had just purchased their home. I told my son to take the estimate and tell them have a nice day!! We received a second opinion and ROTO ROOTER was totally lying!! There was a clean out right on the outside wall of the home, there was absolutely nothing wrong with the pipe besides it was slightly off which most likely has been that way for 60 years!! The second opinion we received placed a camera down the pipe, the camera went in the pipe very easily.

“Doug” had to force the camera down the pipe and manipulated the camera to remove the ball so it would show there was damage when there was no damage. A day my son and his fiancé should have been happy about purchasing their first home turned into the worse day thinking they just bought a house they could not even use at all because this company wanted to try to get money out of a young couple that just purchased a new home. PLEASE DO NOT GET SCAMMED BY THIS COMPANY. There have been several lawsuits against this company for the same exact thing over the years in different states as well.

Customer Service Manager