Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.44/5

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Get started

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Get started

Roto-Rooter Reviews

Original review: May 1, 2020

I would just like to express my great experience I had with this company. I had a pipe issue in my house that was causing water leakage and damage to my home. It was a pretty extensive repair that needed to be done which gave me much anxiety. Roto Rooter was the 3rd plumping company that I contacted about the issue and concerns I was having and I am so glad I chose them over the other companies. From start to finish they took excellent care of me and my home and help fix my issue promptly.

My first encounter was with one of their Techs/plumber whom name I believe was Alonzo. He was very informative and professional. He progressed quickly to get their company excavation specialist out to see me the same day to estimate the work I needed done. His name was John and he was the best! He was so helpful and informative. He even gave me the information I needed to give to my insurance company. He constantly checked in with me during the process to make sure I was ok and had the resources I needed.

I also cannot forget the actual Plumber who had to do all of the major labor work to fix my pipes. Antonio and Lorenzo were great. They got the job done in one day and kept me updated on everything that was going on during the process. To sum it up it was just a great experience and I would definitely recommend this company and these particular guys if you have any issues with your plumbing or drains. I would definitely use them in the future.

Original review: March 14, 2020

I had two plumbing problems. Jeff from Roto Rooter Passaic NJ was professional and most experienced plumber I ever had work on my home. Was a good conversation too. Very professional and total expert. 5 stars to Jeff in Passaic NJ Roto Rooter all plumbing needs. Was fast and perfect and gave good advice on how to care for work afterwards. Paul C Passaic NJ

Get buying tips about Online Bathroom Fixtures and Plumbing delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2020

It started with a plugged kitchen sink and ended up a major broken pipe. Happened on the 23rd of December and they still had someone come out same day, then on the 24th and 26th. Involved different departments starting with Kawika (initial contact), then Chris (confirming pipe break) and Noa (the one excavating foundation and yard). Everyone was empathetic, professional and full of aloha. I would recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2019

Matt (3281) came early for the appointment and listened carefully as I explained my leak problem. He asked a few questions and diagnosed the problem. He explained what he was going to do and why it would fix the problem. He went to work and after finishing he had me check the fix he made. IT WORKED! I would highly recommend Matt based on my experience.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

Came home late from my mother's wake and heard noises in the back bedroom. Next day, walked around and realized I had water spraying hard under the house. I contacted 16 plumbers in the area and none could come for the least of 5 days. Called Roto-Rooter and the next morning they had Sam here. I had an Expansion Tank under the house burst. I am a single 62 year old woman, with no family really close to help. Sam explained everything and showed me pictures and the tank when it was removed. He did a fantastic job in a timely manner. And the price was much better than I expected. I will be calling Roto-Rooter for all my plumbing needs in the future.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Roto-Rooter?

Original review: June 22, 2020

Made app. on Fri. for Sat.12-4. They were a no call no show. They called Monday. Asked if I still wanted their service. No way. Stay away from this co. Their ad states that weekend price is the same as weekday. I guess thats because they just dont come out. They tried to say a glitch in the system, just more lies.

Original review: June 15, 2020

Called the company to fix a leak under our kitchen sink. I was at work, my 81 yr old mom was home. The plumber replaced a pipe underneath, but the second you turn on the faucet water runs out from the base. Called the next day was told the plumber had a big job and could not come back until Monday. Then it became Tuesday. Underneath our sink is water. So what did he fix. Also the plumber seemed like he had an attitude. I can honestly say this was the worst Service we’ve ever had and we lived in this home for 15 years. Even when I informed the customer rep I needed my kitchen sink for my home business nothing. This was a disgusting service. Once it is fixed I never want this company in my home.

Original review: June 15, 2020

If you don't want to read a long review about how awful this company is, please take away this key point: DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. Period. My fiancé's and my basement had some kind of water leak late one night which resulted in puddles of water that eventually seeped under parts the laminate flooring. We called Roto-Rooter specifically to remove the water from under the flooring, no other reason. They gave us a quote for $4025-$6775 depending on the work that was actually done. Nowhere on the quote did it say the scope of the work that would be done.

This quote is the only document my fiancé signed from this company. So they get to work "extracting water," ripping up our flooring, and setting up their drying equipment that they said would only be left at our house for 3 days. During all this work, my fiancé told one of the techs that insurance would be helping out, and the tech responded by saying "Oh this is about to go WAY up." After 5 days of not hearing from or seeing anybody from the company, we called to ask them to remove their equipment from our house. After the equipment was FINALLY removed, we called to get an exact amount owed so that we could get our finances in order. The guy on the phone told us it would be over $13,000. DOUBLE the high end of the initial quote.

When I called to question this, they said that somebody had been by our house every day to check on the equipment (lie) and that they had our initials on documents stating each time a tech came to check on it (also lie). They also said that the extra cost was for them ripping up our flooring (which they didn't even complete) because they weren't aware at the beginning that water was under the floor (LIE because that was the ONLY reason we called them). Whenever they found out we have cameras around our entire property, they backtracked.

They brought over all of the documents from the project, including an itemized invoice for about $10,500, BUT the tech who brought the documents to our house said they would be willing to honor the high end of the original quote ($6775). We thanked him for the documents and got to work going through every last one of them. What we found was 1. On the invoice for $10,500 they were trying to charge us for things that they had never done (things that we have photo and video evidence they had never done).

2. They had documents with 36 different time stamps on different dates that a tech allegedly came to our house to check the equipment and documented various pieces of data regarding the equipment and the job itself (only 7 of those timestamps were accurate, and that was only because they were the times they were setting up equipment - we have video evidence they weren't at our house during any of the other 29 timestamps they have), and most importantly 3. THEY FORGED MY FIANCÉ'S SIGNATURE AND INITIALS ON ALL DOCUMENTS RELATED TO THE JOB, including a direct payment authorization saying our insurance company should pay them directly (didn't happen thank goodness), the work order to start the project, and literally every single document they had for the job besides the original quote.

Neither of us had seen any of these documents prior to work being started or at any point during the project UNTIL the tech brought them to our house AFTER they got all of the equipment out. The best part of all is that my fiancé's name starts with an R, but they forged all the signatures and initials starting with a W because they apparently misheard my fiancé's name when he told it to them on the first day. When we confronted them about the forgery, they said "we aren't allowed to do that." Yeah no duh you aren't allowed to do something that is ILLEGAL. That doesn't change the fact that it happened.

They also said "everyone knows when you Docu-Sign it looks different from your regular signature." Yeah that may be the case but 1. Nobody from their company presented their iPad/tablet/whatever we were supposed to docu-sign these documents on to either of us and 2. THEY SIGNED THE WRONG NAME AND WRONG INITIALS EVERY TIME. They also said "well we emailed all of these documents to you so you had them the whole time." Yeah no they sent them all to a WRONG email address belonging to neither of us and not even close to either of our email addresses.

If we had read reviews on this company beforehand we would have never gone with them for this project. Unfortunately, it was an emergency so we did not have time to wait around. This ended up costing way more than it should have and they lied to us SO many times even after we had all the evidence against them and knew they were lying and told them we knew they were lying. Never ever use Roto-Rooter for anything. You won't regret taking my advice.

Original review: June 12, 2020

I contact them for drain cleaning service in the morning and I was told that they will be arriving my house between 4 and 8 pm of that day. However around 7:30 pm, they told me that they would arrive in about 1 hour and 1 hour later they told me that they were behind the schedule. Around 9:30 pm, they told me that they would not come and asked time for the next day. So we scheduled for between 8 and 10 am of the next day. A technician came on the 2nd day, I told him that I needed service for 2 things: 1) cleaned a kitchen pipe of about 25 feet; 2) installed a new garbage disposal. The prices are: $400+ to install a garbage disposal which takes about 15 minutes! $300+ to clean a pipe of 25 feet which takes about 45 minutes!

Original review: June 10, 2020

They are useless and Christina in Customer Service is unprofessional, won't let you speak. Had them come out to Jet a sump storm drain line. It was 900$ for 2 hours. They guy spent 1/2 hour filling his tank with my hose. Took about 5 phone calls, kept telling me he had 3 other jobs to still go to that day. He said he cleared the line. I didn't check, I assumed I could TRUST Roto Rooter. It rained the next day and the line filled again. I called them, simply explaining my situation and that the line that he claimed he cleared was obviously not cleared.

She told me there was no guarantee. I had to look very hard on the paperwork to find that he had handwritten it on there. I said, I just need options now, what can be done? Can they send someone else out. She said yes for another fee, She said she could send someone out with a camera for 500$. I asked for a reasonable discount or something since the work performed was inadequate. She told me it wasn't her fault that I didn't read the fine print. I said I guess I trusted Roto Rooter to stand behind their work, She called me Stupid. I am currently disputing charges with Credit card company and leaving reviews about my experience everywhere I can. Worked was performed in Minooka Il, I guess form the Chicago Corporate office.

Roto-Rooter Company Information