3.7/5 (522 ratings)
Find an Online Bathroom Fixtures and Plumbing partner
Banner image

Need help with a bathroom project?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About Roto-Rooter

Banner image

Need help with a bathroom project?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Roto-Rooter Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Roto-Rooter?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Roto-Rooter?

Original review: June 16, 2022

We called to have the T&P valve replaced on our electric water heater. They said that someone would be able to come out the next day... great! Mind you they did let me know that it would be a $100 fee for just coming out even if they did no work. That was no problem since we looked into prices of replacing this part and figured it would not be over about $200-$250. The licensed plumber comes here, confirms that it is the T&P valve that needs to be replaced. The part was $41 (100% upcharge from what you can buy online or in stores). Not too bad but still pricey.

Now the kicker is for the 15-20 minutes of work that was done we paid $469 in labor fees! That's insane. Not to mention a part of that 20 minutes was spent with me turning on the hot water and letting it run. I would never recommend using this company. They are a rip off money wise. Our technician was nice and helped us out with a coupon but to have a price like that is crazy. And being new to any type of plumbing work we were extremely caught off guard with the price and would gladly have chosen not to use them had we known better.

Roto-Rooter response

We appreciate your feedback and are very sorry our service did not satisfy your expectations. Please email me your full-service address, including the zip code, so that I can look into this issue as soon as possible. My email is Pat.Swanson@rrsc.com. Please also include a copy of this review.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: June 13, 2022

My mom is a 83year old senior citizen who lives in Washington state and I her son lives in California. She called me and said her toilet had backed up and she was unable to use it. With this being a single bathroom house and my mom being old I contacted her house cleaner to see if they could take a look and see if they could get it working. They said it was almost overflowed and the bathtub and toilet both had black water in it.. They called a local plumber and told him the situation. He recommended getting an emergency plumbing company in there because it might be a broken pipe and also because of the time of day and if the yard needed to be dug up he was booked solid and couldn't get there. So I called Roto-Rooter in Bonny Lake and told them the situation and could they get someone there that day, they said they could have someone there in an hour that would have put the plumber at my mom's house at 2:30pm.

At around 3:20pm he finally showed up so my mom called me and I had her put him on the phone so I could explain what was going on and that the bathroom had to be fixed. He called me back about a 1/2 hour later saying there might be a problem with the toilet removal and re-installing of the toilet and it was probably just clogged. This would run around $800 because he had to run line to the city main to clear the clog.. I thought that was an outrageous price to unclog a toilet but it needed to be done so I told him to do it.

At about 8:20pm that night I contacted my mom to see what was going on she. Said she had just written a check for $1802.98. I asked her if the plumber was still there and to put him on the phone.. when I spoke to him I explained he didn't call me to approve the additional charges and that the price he just charged my mom would probably overdraw her account or leave her with very little money which it has. I am utterly disgusted with Roto-Rooter and the prices they charge people. I WILL NEVER USE THEM AGAIN OR RECOMMEND THEM TO ANYONE.. BE WARNED!

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Get buying tips about Online Bathroom Fixtures and Plumbing delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 7, 2022

Call these people if you want to get completely ripped off. My tenant has called Roto Rooter because dishwasher didn’t drain water, and the water was leaking. The fix on the invoice was “kitchen sink drain stopper clean. Three trips. Replaced the 2 Elbow waste pipe for kitchen.” For this, they have charged her $200 for parts and $732 for labor. First, an elbow pipe cost $20 max, so that should have been $40 at most. The job lasted an hour and 20 min, counting the time he had gone to park his car and to retrieve tools, which was treated as three trips on the invoice. My tenant is a young woman with no knowledge of plumbing and has signed off on this without checking with me first. When I called them, and spoke with the manager on this blatant abuse of pricing, his response was that this is their price and the tenant was willing to pay this.

Yes, I understand that they are free to quote whatever price they want to, and it was my tenant’s own fault to get ripped off for not checking with other companies. However, it is completely dishonest to take advantage of someone just because they didn’t know what the going rate is for the type of service performed. This job should not have cost more than $400 by a licensed plumber, and I’m counting higher because it is NYC. For a similar job, I have paid $200 elsewhere. I’m giving them 1 star because at least, the job was done correctly and the problem is solved. But Roto Rooter is never getting my business again.

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: June 5, 2022

We had an emergency plumbing issue today and called Roto around 11:00am. They told us they would be able to fix it this afternoon. They sent a text saying that we were confirmed. The text said that if we don’t respond to them within 3 minutes of their technician contacting us, that our appointment window would expire. Because of that, we were glued by the phone. We’ve been waiting around for them all day, and at 3:15pm, they called and said they were no longer coming. Now, it’s too late to call anyone to get out here today. If you have an issue on a Sunday, save your time and don’t call them.

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: June 3, 2022

Where can I begin. If I can give zero stars I would gladly do so. The company was supposed to do a simple job and ended up flooding the entire house due to the incompetence of your technicians. We’re facing many issues now due to your negligence and the customer service besides being non responsive to what happened, was also rude to me and my family acting like it wasn’t their fault. You guys disrupted our lives, shame on you for being the worst company that only cares about their own earnings rather than customer care. I would recommend this company to absolutely nobody. Don’t bother hiring them, they won’t care about you.

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: May 26, 2022

I've owned my house for 3 years, my first house. I dreamed of it my whole life. I worked hard, built a good credit score, and was finally able to get it! This last weekend our sewer backed up. Sewage started coming out of the bathtub and didn't stop and I couldn't stop it. For 6hrs the water came up over the top of the tub and onto the floor. Roughly 2 1/2 inches of water stood on the bathroom floor for 6 hrs on a Sunday while I waited for my home warranty company to find a plumber. My husband was at work and I was at home tending to the damn of towels that I built to at least contain the damage. I finally got tired of waiting and googled 24 hr plumbers.

Roto-Rooter came up with a decent star rating so I called them. I told them it was an emergency and that I had sewage rolling out of my bathtub at a high rate and I couldn't stop it. That same sewage was leaking from the floor of the bathroom into the basement and when I went down to look there was like half a foot of water down there and under the bathroom, it looked like someone had built a rain shower. A guy, a Sewer solution specialist showed up first. I was so relieved. It had only been me, my brother-in-law who had a stroke that lives with us, and my 2 cats. I was just glad someone had shown up. Someone who could reassure me that everything was going to be ok.

6hrs with helpless innocent beings that I was in charge of and I had no idea if there was going to be a fire from the electricity, how high the water was going to get, and what I was going to do with my charges if one of those things did happen no car, and I don't know any neighbors. To say I was relieved is an understatement. The guy said the plumber would be there shortly, and those magic words I was waiting to hear, "everything is going to be ok." The guy walked around looking at the damage, exclaiming about how we needed to get on top of this water damage and start right away because of the mold. I listened as he told me about all they could do and fix.

I was almost limp with relief that this nightmare of a bad Insurance commercial was gonna come to an end. The plumber came. Jacob. Jacob was amazing, the kid worked from about 7:30 till 1 am to get the clog out. The whole time with a smile on his face, even though he had been up and down my steps about 15 times. He couldn't get the clog and came back the next day at about 10 pm that night to finish the job. The guy had left about an hour and a half after he'd gotten there. Only after he asked me several times if I had Insurance and what kind and reassured me they would take care of everything. It only took Jacob about an hr and he got the clog. He gave us a bill and he left.

This is where things start getting bad. I want to make it clear that the plumber Jacob was terrific before I go on. I don't want anyone to think he wasn't. The next day the guy called my husband and asked if we wanted to use Roto-Rooter for the water clean-up and mold remediation. Did I tell my husband absolutely, after hadn't the guy been my hero? My buddy? The one who let me know that all wasn't lost and everything would be ok? And they were right there ready to get things going without us even having to look for anyone else? The guy was there within 30 mins. We walked around, him telling me each thing that had to fix, and letting me know that Roto-Rooter even had relationships with contractors who could come and fix everything when they were done. We sat down at the table as he talked and I and my husband was in a daze from no sleep and worrying about our house all night.

I signed the paper saying I wanted them to clean up and then he left. Before he did though he let us know that his guys would be at the house the next day to start to clean up. The next day I got home from work and there was a dehumidifier in my bathroom, I was a happy woman, it had started. The next day I took a shower around a giant fan and Dehumidifier. I didn't care, it was worth it. I got ready. Brushed my teeth and went to rinse my mouth with the water I was about to cup in my hand when I got shocked! I jumped back from the sink when I realized I was standing on the cord from the dehumidifier. I finished getting ready, went to kiss my husband goodbye, and warned him to put his flip-flops on when he got out of the shower, I had gotten shocked. He said, "Is that what that was? I got up in the middle of the night and went to the bathroom and when I washed my hands it hurt." He said he thought he had layed on his hand wrong.

The next day when I came home there were several big fans and dehumidifiers in the hall, bathroom, and basement. It was very hot in the house though. I looked at the thermostat and it was 83 in the house. I just thought that was what they wanted for things to dry out faster. When I got home that night it was still hot. 85 degrees. The air was on 63. We went to bed that night with no covers with 3 fans on us. This morning when I woke up it was 87 degrees in the house and the air was clearly not working, At work, I figured I better call the insurance agent. I called and spoke with him, telling him all that was going on. When I told him Roto-Rooter was still there he said, "You need to tell them to come to get their equipment." He said, "They should be done by now." He then asked me, "Do you have any idea how much they are charging you?" He then told me they charge for every single piece of equipment every day.

I said, "No, we didn't talk about money." So then I panicked. I called the guy and said, "You know, we never talked about how much this was going to cost." The guy kinda stumbled around his words and said, "Yes we did, remember?" I said, "No, I don't remember." He said, "We went over the paper and I explained how much each thing was going to cost." I said, "No....you did not." I said, "You told me what you were going to fix, but you never said what it was going to cost." He mumbled something about a thousand dollars I thought. I said, "What?" He said several thousand dollars. I almost died right in my seat. I told him that I thought he took advantage of a bad situation. He said he didn't. I told him, "You never said it would be thousands."

When I signed that paper apparently in my shock over everything that had happened, I didn't realize I was signing a contract to pay, not permission to start work. There was never any talk of a contract or an exorbitant amount of money. Trust me, if you knew me, and I'd have known it was that expensive, I would have gotten some other estimates. After the 3rd time, he said that we talked about money, and it dawned on me. I had been suckered. It's a good plan. Come in, assure the customer that everything is going to be ok, tell them insurance is going to cover everything. How well you know the insurance companies and that they love to work with him and they will trust what he says. Get your customers while they are in shock and just care about the place that they live, getting back to normal. I asked the guy how he slept at night, doing people like that? He continued to mumble.

I told him that I wanted the equipment out of my house and I wanted it out today. I then told him I wanted his supervisor's number, and he stammered and said that the supervisor would call me, but he wouldn't give it to me. I told him that I would just look for it myself. I got off the phone and called Roto-Rooter, and asked for the supervisor of remediation. As I was waiting, my call waiting beeped, it was the supervisor. He introduced himself as The big guy and asked how he could help. I said, "Well...I need to know how much I'm being charged." He then said 5 thousand dollars. I thought I was going to pass out. I told him that the guy and I never once talked about money and that I never would have agreed to that amount without getting other estimates.

He said, "Well you signed the contract." That's when I asked him how he and the guy slept at night scamming people like that. He said, "You knew the amount." I told him no I didn't know the amount, if I had wouldn't have signed it. I went on to tell him that I wasn't stupid and that had I been given the opportunity I would've gotten other estimates. I then told him that I needed him to get his men and come out and get this equipment and have it gone before I got home at 4:30, that I wasn't going to pay for another hour of that equipment. He then told me that if I made him come get that equipment he would charge me even more. I told him to just come to get it and hung up.

Now before you judge me for not asking about money, please put yourself in my shoes for a minute. You have just witnessed your home be partially destroyed. Your belongings are ruined and your loved ones possibly are in danger. It does something to you. I am a Registered Nurse, and I have witnessed and managed more medical emergencies than I can count. Held people's lives in my hands. But it does not compare to the feeling you have when it is the place that you live, your shelter, your belongings. Not knowing what is going to happen next. Then you have someone come along that says everything that he knows you need to hear, gets you to trust them.

I know it's a bad time for everybody money-wise. We are not rich people either. We're just like everyone else, about 1 paycheck away from bankruptcy. These people prey on people that are in shock, that don't know what to do, and who's never had something like this happen to them. So now I have to pay 5 thousand dollars out of 11 thousand I will receive. Holes cut in walls, plaster ruined, a whole bathroom ruined, hardwood floor ruined, not to mention I had to pay 100 dollar deductible for someone to come out and tell me my central air wasn't working because either the plumber or someone from the cleanup crew tripped the breaker for it. We will be lucky to get the holes fixed and walls painted for what we have leftover, let alone the rest. I know it sounds stupid, but I trusted the guy. So now what was a little outdated home but still finished, is an outdated h.

Original review: May 21, 2022

I call them for a backed up toilet. They snaked the pipe from the bathroom and outside. Also, told me that I have a cracked pipe and that they would have to dig up the concrete floor (which would cost $15,500 but before they left, they gave me a different quote of $12,000). The snake job cost me $909 but at first they were going to charge me $991 but decided to give me some discounts. The next day I had another company come out the next day because I wanted a second opinion about the possibility cracked pipe.

The new company re-snaked the pipe (more thoroughly) and charged me $350. They agreed that I may have a cracked pipe but in a different location than what Roto rooter told me. The new company gave me a quote for $8,000 for pipe. I called Roto Rooter several times and left several messages the following day and no one called me back. My credit card company is going to dispute the charges. I am 69 years and live by myself on a fixed income. I will never use them again or recommend them to anyone.

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: May 13, 2022

I worked with Jason and he got a crew out that same day. Gary, Todd, and Alex did a fantastic job. They were professional and got the job done fairly quickly. Very nice and awesome people. This team knew what they were doing. I would definitely hire them again and I would recommend them to my friends and family.

Resolution response: June 5, 2022

The company reached out and we reached a fair resolution. They were very professional throughout this process.

Original review: May 12, 2022

My mother who is older had this company come out and fix the pipe that goes from the house to the water meter, it had broken against the house and was leaking. I was able to turn the water off from the street, last night when we found the break. The usual plumber had a family emergency and was unable to come, only Roto Rutter could come out today. They came out and said because it involved excavation would be $1700 but would give her a discount and it would be $1500. She is on a fixed income and said ok, because it was either that or an outrageous water bill, plus the water had to be turned off and on from the street when she needed it. She is in a wheelchair and basically housebound.

They fixed it and upon reviewing the bill, $1498 was for labor, 2 guys, and $2.00 for parts. It took them no more than an hour. They did do excellent work and I know they only work for the company but truly this is not right. Her usual plumber just got back in town and came by, not knowing we had it fixed, he was shocked when he saw the bill, he said this job should have cost no more than $400. They only had to dig 6 inches max and replace about 2 feet of pipe. Plus we had already dug out the hole. This is wrong and a rip-off. It would have been cheaper to go to a hotel until the plumber returned. Buyer beware.

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: May 6, 2022

Updated on 05/20/2022: I left a message with Pat and later spoke with Ron of Roto-Rooter about being overcharged to change a faucet. I didn't want to anyone to think that because she responded to the review that the problem had been resolved. A man named Ron who was a supervisor for the technicians contacted me to justify the pricing. Paying $643 when no pipes were broken, there was no leak or water spilling all over the place, just water not running from the faucet and similarly having the faucet and sprayer hose changed to resolve a problem seemed crazy. Ron responded that I agreed to pay the price and that I should have said otherwise. The problem happened when Miguel told me that I HAD TO PAY A SERVICE FEE FOR THE VISIT, which I had not been told by Roto-Rooter.

In speaking with Ron I learned that had been the case Roto-Rooter does not charge a fee for coming to your house, they charge a fee if they start touching stuff, which at the time they did not do. He said if he did the work the service fee would be removed. To avoid paying someone for coming out and doing nothing I agreed to let them do the work. He told me about the fee for the diagnostic to check to see if anything is wrong with the line, later it was the fee for the faucet and then he said he spoke about taxes and that is how they arrived at 643 for a faucet and sprayer hose change. They should make a law against anyone having to pay someone just for visiting your home. He got the work by trickery. I don't want problems with two men who are strangers in my house. Tania-

Original Review: I wanted to warn people not to use this company unless it is an emergency. My usual contacts were busy or unavailable. So, I reached out to Roto-Rooter Staten Island. I told them the problem. They sent Miguel and another guy to my house to fix the problem. They knew what the problem was but said they had to do a diagnostic (I say this because they mentioned replacing a faucet -not pipes), which was 199.00, Miguel said I would not have to pay home visit fee (the was fee was not told to me on the phone) if I took their service.

But the fee to come out was 199.00. That was high given his slip that the problem may be as simple as replacing a faucet and sprayer hose but because of my little one who is in the house with me I went through anyway. Miguel said that to replace the faucet would be 450 with tax. After he completed the job with another tech, they said they had to put in codes to determine what the final price would be. They ended up charging me 643.45. That was terrible! Again, try to avoid using this company.

Roto-Rooter Company Information