1.30/5
Based on 77 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

437 Roto-Rooter Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I needed a plumber fast, so I contacted Roto. They half ** snaked my pipes, charged me 420. Then they came out later to jet my pipes, quoted me 599. Ended up paying 850. What they quote you, and what you end up paying is not even comparable. If you can find a more reasonable company, and that wont rip you off, PLEASE DO IT. Efran, the guy below, I had as well, he was clueless too.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I acquired the service of this company. They sent a guy named Efran. He does not know the meaning of kitchen line, drain line or sink. My kitchen line is overflowing with water from beneath and he kept saying that the kitchen drain is the problem. It took him so much time to figure out that the line is clogged. He won't even check the issue unless he sees my credit card and run the payment. Not only that, he issued an INVOICE with a wrong customer name. I called their Admin office to have this corrected because the invoice is named to the property manager and not to the property or neighborhood address and so the HOA won't reimburse. I think this is a collusion between them? Their Admin office won't help. Kept tossing me back to HOA because they said it is their agreement to use such as a customer name, when I call the HOA the manager will say no and have me call Roto-Rooter. That is $430.00 of bad service! So frustrating!!!

Get expert buying tips about Online Bathroom Fixtures and Plumbing delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

If you are in a need of a plumber in a certain time frame, DO NOT REACH OUT TO ROTO-ROOTER. They do not uphold their appointments and I had to reschedule multiple times with them. Plus during the appointed schedule I couldn't go anywhere because of the 4 hour window. Just imagine, wasting 4+ hours at home and not getting anything done. And I even explained to the dispatcher in stating that we haven't been able to use our kitchen sink for days now and not even one word of apology. I'm so angry that they wasted my time. I don't recommend this company at ALL! Now I have to look for another plumber to help me fix my issue.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Our Roto-Rooter plumber just finished and left with a price tag of $926... This included the $599 ludicrous charge of snaking our drain pipe. I just cannot wrap my head around the charge. As much as I liked the plumber, I would not recommend Roto-Rooter to any of our friends/family. Research local plumbers who can perform the same service at half the cost.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I called on a Thursday night when I noticed the pipe running into my house had sprung a leak. The reason I called Roto-Rooter instead of a small business with a good Yelp score was because I wanted to get the problem fixed sooner rather than later. They told me that all they could do is send someone out to shut off my water and that it would cost $400+ dollars. I'm very glad I was warned with enough time to decline. The next day (Friday) I got a call from a very rude man with poor customer service skills who told me it'd cost over $1000 dollars to fix this small leak. This shocked me because it looked like a small gasket rupture. He immediately got on the defensive when I told him that my sink got repiped for less than half the cost. He essentially told me I got ripped off on that.

He then told me Roto-Rooter was more expensive than most and I was welcome to go find someone else as if he were daring me to knowing the sense of urgency. He promised me he could get someone out first thing in the morning (Saturday). I had plans Friday night but I ended them early so that I could come home to be here for Roto-Rooter in the morning. I waited all morning and then around 11:00 am I get a call that they won't be coming after all and that the soonest they could come was today, (Monday). Roto-Rooter thoroughly wasted my time and I certainly hope no damage was sustained to my property from a leak Roto-Rooter was supposed to fix days earlier!

I stuck with Roto-Rooter, a company that has a 1.4 star rating on consumeraffairs.com, that admitted to me themselves charges more than competitors, and because I wanted the problem fixed fast and ended up being stood up, having my time wasted and had to deal with a rude plumber. Worst of all, I could've had a more reputable company come out in the time it took. I am absolutely disgusted and livid with Roto-Rooter.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Roto-Rooter?

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I was having drain issued in my house. I call Roto-Rooter and explained my problem, so they schedule to come out the very next day. This plumber came by the very next day stuck his camera through the drain line, and told me what the problem was, and he wasn't equipt for the job and that they got to bring another guy out with the proper equipment, and everything was going to cost me $863.57. So my wife decided to pay for everything upfront and 1 shot to get it over with. The next day this other plumber shows up and said he was missing the equipment that he need, so we got to reschedule everything for the following Monday. OK cool. On Monday this 3rd plumber guy shows up and basically check everything out, went to his work truck came back with an estimate of almost another $900.

Remind you we just paid these people $863.57, So basically they trying to tell me that was for the 1st service of the guy sticking a camera through the drain line for barely 20 minutes cost me an amount of $863.57. Now I got to pay the same "Roto-Rooter" again almost $900 for a job that I thought we already paid for in full for a 2nd time... So basically "Roto-Rooter" wants to charge me 2x for a job that they never started in the 1st place. I called a few other local companies that came out for free estimates. I got $250, $375, $425, $450 price quote on 4 for the same exact job "Rotor-Rooter" trying to get damn near $2000 from me for... So I went with a local company and was extremely satisfied with the work. I am currently shopping around for attorney to take these "Thieves, Rip off, highway Robbery" company to court...

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

If I could give them zero stars, I would. Called Roto-Rooter to help with a leak - they claimed the leak came from 'brown' water pipe (ie dirty water), so stripped the walls of the basement back without a further examination and the manager called a 'trusted' contractor to give a quote to repair. Of course the water turned out to be clean water, from the shower and so the walls didn't need to be stripped back at all. All at a considerable - and ultimately unnecessary - cost. And of course, the 'trusted' contractor that provided a quote is now suing me for not using them to do the remediation work, even though their quote was 20% higher than the company I actually contracted to do the remediation work. Seems dangerously close to fraud.

M. H.,

We appreciate your feedback and wish to talk to you as soon as we can. Please email me your full-service address including zip code so that I can look into this as soon as possible. Please also include a copy of this review.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 28, 2018

I was having sewer backup for many years which required frequent clean-out from a company. After a clean out and camera view of the line, I was told that the main sewer line had sunk in three places and would need to be replaced. After some estimates, I contracted Roto-Rooter to do the job. I figured, with a well known name I would get the work done right at a good price. I was wrong! The project started out ok. When it came time for the city to inspect, some of the Earth had collapsed on the pipe so they refused to pass it. That put us a couple days behind. Once the job passed city inspection, the trench was back-filled with the dirt but a large mound of Earth was left running from the back of my house to the back of my property. I was told "it would settle". I should have demanded they flatten it, but I figured they knew what they were doing.

A few days after the job was complete, we had a rainstorm. Because this mound of dirt prevented the rainwater from traveling from one side of the yard to where the storm drain is at, my backyard flooded to one side of the mound. This caused the Earth to be pushed away from the foundation of the house and water started pouring into my basement. We had to go out into the storm and dig trenches in the mound to get the water to go down in the backyard but this did not stop the water from pouring into my basement. Once the water stopped pouring in we had quite a bit of damage.

I contacted Roto-Rooter. They said that the leaking was not their responsibility and would do nothing about it (I have never had that much water in my basement from the back wall until after they left the mound of dirt there). It was mentioned they would have someone come and do a clean-up in the basement so I would not get mold but I have not heard back from them about it. I recently had some companies come give me estimates on waterproofing and every one of them is shocked at the way this job was left. I was even told by two waterproofing companies that I should not have paid Roto-Rooter. Needless to say, I would NEVER recommend Roto-Rooter to anyone!

Kim,

Original review: July 23, 2018

The scheduling department is out of control! They kept canceling my appointments. I couldn't go anywhere because of the 4 hour window. Finally the 3rd day a plumber showed up. The cost for a bathtub spout (which I bought) is $320 dollars! I'm on disability and don't have that kind of money. It would have been nice to get a quote before they actually sent a plumber. He said $320 dollars is a flat rate for this job. I'm so angry that they wasted my time and his. I don't recommend this company at ALL!

Virginia,

Original review: July 23, 2018

I have never dealt with such an inconsiderate company ever. I needed a drain pan installed under my washer. I took a day off from work and the technician said they needed to order the pan. He also said he would call me on Friday the next week for installation. Next Friday came and no call. I called Roto-Rooter to try and track him down. He eventually called me in the evening saying he would pick up the part on Monday Morning and install it on Monday afternoon. I called at 3PM Monday and he is unavailable but can come Tuesday...after I took another day off. I will never do business with this company again, EVER.

Jeffrey,

Original review: July 20, 2018

This company employs plumbers who don't understand that they will get dirty and they will get wet. So I ask what do plumbers do??? As I sit here with no water, which I had before they went under the house. I worked in the customer service industry for 16 years and I would never talk to my customers in such a way. They say they will refund my money to their credit. People beware!

Pam,

Original review: July 20, 2018

My water pressure has been extremely hard. I knew there was something wrong, told my partner who told me I was just being dramatic. Can you say EX-partner. I woke up this morning and my entire house flooded due to broken pipes and a burst water valve on my hot water heater. They were very nice but mainly just walked around telling me it was a septic tank back up and the increased water pressure was just a coincidence. The spilled water was clear and had no odor so I didn't believe it was a septic tank back up. I'm not a plumber but even I knew that didn't sound right. They kept saying it was a back up until they finally looked at my hot water heater that had burst sometimes during the night. I had the water shut off by my water company because I don't have a shut off valve outside my house. I will get one when the plumber comes tomorrow. They were all very nice but brushed off my concerns and suggestions.

After five hours they did nothing to get the water up, did replace the water heater valve, and then turned on my water. Normally PSI for water in a home is no more than 80 PSI. Mine was 160 PSI. I asked them to replace the valve before they left but couldn't do it. They did put a shut off valve on my water heater. They also turned the water back on which is still way too forceful. After they left, I bought a key to shut off the water and did so. They are returning tomorrow to get the 2" of water in my floor up. I felt like the pressure valve should have been replaced today and something should have been done to get some of the water out of my floor. I've called another company for a free estimate tomorrow. They said they could get it all done in one day.

Roto-Rooter said five days and I would need to rent a POD for my furniture at an additional cost of $675.00. I can't get one here for two weeks so that's out. I don't trust them now and don't feel they have my best interests at heart. The plumber was good and honest. They were all very nice however had no problems poking their noses through my entire house where there was no water damage. I should mention I'm disabled with spinal problems so a fall on a wet vinyl floor could be very dangerous for me. They didn't care. Everyone was nice but I don't think they have my best interests in their hearts.

The other company I called gave me an estimate that is $5000 less than the Roto-Rooter estimate. But it won't be firm until they can come out tomorrow for a walk through and a free estimate. They wanted to come out tonight to help me. I probably won't use Roto-Rooter again. If things change I'll update this review. I think they should have gotten the water cleaned out at the very least plus placed some fans and a dehumidifier to prevent mold buildup.

Cindy,

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 19, 2018

I called Roto-Rooter to unclog my kitchen drain. They charged me three hundred twenty nine dollars to run a snake thru it. That money for twenty minutes of labor, no parts. That comes to a thousand dollars an hour. That's crazy. Do not use Roto-Rooter for your plumbing needs.

Original review: July 17, 2018

I had a clogged toilet which was repaired by a nice gentlemen. After he left, another person from Roto-Rooter came and inform me I needed water restoration services due to water damage and avoid bacteria in the walls. I told him I couldn't pay for this service but he said not to worry. He would take care of everything and I just needed to sign this form so he can submit it to my homeowners insurance and if they did not accept the claim not to worry about paying. I received a call from Roto-Rooter customer service requesting payment for over $4,000 due to my insurance denied the claim and if I don't pay there will be lien against my house.

She further inform me I signed a document stating I was responsible for this service with an amount stated if insurance did not pay for the service. I told her I didn't receive an estimate nor any kind proposal indicating the amount I would be charge and the guy told me if insurance did not accept the claim not to worry about paying that. I was only signing a form allowing them to submit a claim to my insurance, it didn't indicate an amount. Feeling Angry and Deceived!

Amparo,

Original review: July 17, 2018

2 plumbing techs came to my home to investigate a water leak. They smelled like **. I caught one of them taking cash from my wallet. I called 4 times to speak to management. Gen. Manager did nothing but make me more angry.

Janet,

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 16, 2018

Had a drain block in March. Called our regular Plumber who recommended calling Roto-Rooter. Roto-Rooter came and charged $280.00. They said they couldn’t unclog the drain as well. When I asked for a reimbursement of some money the manager agreed to send. After waiting 3 weeks and contacting them about the reimbursement he said he wouldn’t send it until I took the bad review off the website. I would be willing to do that if we ever get reimbursed. Unfortunately to this day and after contacting the Better Business Bureau no check has been received. Terrible customer service. Never will recommend or use again.

Robin,

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: July 13, 2018

I asked Roto-Rooter to replace a 50 gallon hot water tank in an older home I just purchased. The quality of the work was excellent, however, the installed price was $2200 which was nearly twice the price I expected and have subsequently been quoted by other plumbing companies. I called the company to share my concerns and disappointment with the shocking charge. The manager investigated the order and although he was very polite and professional, he essentially offered nothing to remedy the problem. He was more focused pricing consistency than customer satisfaction. Had I been told in the beginning that the installed price would be $2200, I would have gotten other bids and probably found another plumbing option.

Robert,

Original review: July 7, 2018

Two years ago, I called Roto-Rooter. I'd seen a story done about the company and wanted to try them. When the plumber arrived I asked for an estimate. He hedged and hawed and fiddled with papers and a phone and did not give me the estimate. He looked at the faucet and determined that it must be replaced. Did not try the replacement rings like plumbers usually do. So that was done, and done ok.

Then we went down to the basement. I had a clogged drain. It took him all day to unclog a drain. When he gave me the bill for $1500.00 I was in shock. I felt 2 or 300 would have been reasonable. Then they said the basement was contaminated and needed to be cleansed. They sent someone out the next day who said he could get it done shortly for me. No mention of price. We had an appointment to get it done and I got worried about what the price would be so I canceled.

In the end, I pinned him down on the price and it would be 5000 to take everything out of the basement, clean and disinfect it put it all back. We did not have it done. I would never recommend this company to anyone and I would never call them again. They don't give you an estimate, they are shifty, and I feel they overcharge you for everything. I paid the bill that day, but it is the last they will get out of me.

Virginia,

Original review: July 7, 2018

My mother asked them to diagnose to see if we would need to snake the drain (wasn't home) and the tech/plumber said that it would cost 600 dollars. To snake it would be around 500. My poor mother ended up paying for it and the guy left within minutes. What kind of BS is this? I called Rotorooter and asked about this and they said diagnosis are free, the guy took advantage of my mom. Just go with a local plumber. Rotorooter should be out of business.

Greg,

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: June 30, 2018

We had a water line installed from our water meter to our home by Roto-Rooter in 2013 with a 5 year warranty, the job cost us over $3000. Just this week we found that the line connected to the meter had broken and I called Roto-Rooter to find out if it was still under warranty. The technician from Roto-Rooter came way past the scheduled window and told us that we had 6 months left on our warranty and that someone will be out later that day to repair the busted water line. The plumber showed up at 7 PM that evening and told me he didn't have the part on his truck. I was confused as asked him if the other technician told him what was wrong. He told me that no one talks to anyone at Roto-Rooter. He assured me that the job was covered by the warranty and said he will be back at 11:00 AM the next morning to fix the leak.

The next morning I got a call from the technician named Owen telling me that the job wasn't under warranty and that we would needed to pay him $1200 to fix the leak. I was livid! I asked him, "How can you tell me one day the repair is still under warranty and they call me the next day and say it's not?" He gave me the phone number to the management office and I called them only to have the office manager tell me the managers were in meetings. I told the office manager what was going on and she assured me that she would have a manager call me back asap. I only got a call back from the office manager to tell me that she looked up my account and said the job we had back in 2013 only had a 6 month warranty.

I argued with her, telling her we were told it was a 5 year warranty which was their biggest selling point to justify us paying so much for the job. She then said, "Well that still doesn't matter. The 5 year warranty expired 6 months ago." Needless to say I never received a call from a manager and we ended up calling another plumber who showed up in 30 minutes and fixed the line for $350. Roto-Rooter is a big scam and I'm warning all consumers to stay away!

Original review: June 15, 2018

When I called for appointment the hours they gave me was 8 to 12... At 11 I called. They said someone would be a here in a hour. 2:20 no show yet. Called at 4. Voiced my opinion. I would never ever recommend this Co. This co. to me is a scan and very unreliable no business ethics whatsoever. Was lucky enough to find a small family business plumbing company. Please if you read this review don't let this happen to you. 8 hours waiting for a plumber that never showed up.

Original review: June 9, 2018

My sump was making noise and I feared the motor was about to burn out or the pump was clogged. The specialist showed up took a cursory look at the pump in the front of the basement and announced "it was old and needed replacing." The pump is 18 months old. The pump in the rear of the basement was clogged with tissue and producing undue strain on the pump in the front of the basement. Had the specialist cleared the clog there would have been NO NEED to replace the fully functioning pump at a cost of $795.00. In short the rear pump needed attention and had I followed his recommendation I would have been out of $795 for no reason other than increasing Roto-Rooter's bottom line. Stay away from this company unless you have money you just want to give away.

Original review: June 5, 2018

My basement walk up drain was clogged. Roto-Rooter came the same day and cleaned it out at a charge of $599! Not weekend work. Not an emergency! No parts needed! Just a snake to clean the line. HomeAdvisor says price should be from $140-290. I submitted feedback to RR, but so far got no justification for their excessive costs... Not happy.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I contacted Roto-Rooter to repair/replace my hot water heater because the blinking light indicated a temperature system failure. The plumber/technician came out the next day, and after inspecting the heater, indicated the gas valve with temperature control would have to be replaced. He contacted the manufacturer and ordered the part at a cost of $264 (including a $50 overnight shipping fee). The plumber/technician returned the next day and installed the part—-at an additional cost of $475 (less a $50 coupon I happened to find). That sure seems like a lot for a job that was no more than 2 hours! The plumber/technician was great—courteous, friendly and prompt—-however, I will likely NOT contact Roto-Rooter for future plumbing repairs, nor will I recommend them.

Original review: May 22, 2018

Don’t waste your money, Awful, thieves and rip off company, they gave me a 4 hours window to come (which is a long time to get off work and wait for them and said they will call with a 20 minutes heads up but will be closer to 4 pm as I am their first to start for a technician (a non-licensed plumber) who will start at 4 pm, they called 4 pm and said the technician is on his way, 7 pm I am still waiting, 8 pm I called them, she said 13 minutes, no show for another hours, when he finally showed up he said he had started working at 6 pm and does not know why the dispatcher said he is on his way at 4. When I call talking to the dispatcher is just like talking to a wall, they have been taught a bunch of lies to tell every customer. They write nonsense on their invoices in order to void the warranty.

I used them 3 times, every time giving them the benefit of a doubt, same lying and cheating every time, they have done the same to quite few of my friends as well. The technicians are all on commission, (that is why they do not give you price ideas over the phone), when they show up they will try to sell you as much nonsense and price jack up as they have been trained. They will add many unnecessary items to the work that needed to be done. I realize they are in business to make money, but how about some honesty. Horrible company, DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY.

Original review: May 22, 2018

Roto-Rooter charged me an obscene amount to just snake a drain. The person that showed up did not use a metal probe to find a clean out drain and pop open a toilet instead. When I asked him about this later he said that would of been an extra charge which I too thought was ridiculous. Probing for a cleanout that may be buried is standard procedure for most plumbers. Snaking a drain for most plumbers run 100.00-300.00 at the most. I called three other plumbers and they all thought this was highway robbery. Time spent was less than 2 hours. That's over 250.00 per hour. I won't ever use them again.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I scheduled an appointment with Roto-Rooter about one week in advance. They gave me a two hour window from 8 AM to 10 AM. At 10 AM I called them and they told me their windows are four hours not two hours and the guy would be there by 12. At 1 o’clock I called back and they told me that someone would call me about a half an hour before coming out. I asked her when that might be and she said she couldn’t tell me as they were waiting for somebody to be free in the area. I asked her what the 2-4 hour window was for because I thought that WAS their time margin for a standing appointment. All she told me was she didn’t know and that they would waive the service fee for me.

I told her that they advertise free estimates and there shouldn’t be any service fee to begin with. She asked me if I was quoted that when I made the appointment as if I was getting a bargain to begin with. It is now after 2 o’clock in the afternoon — I have been waiting over six hours. I took the day off work, got up early, put in extra time, clean out the areas where the plumber would be servicing, put off other appointments to deal with this and could have called another company. I have a major sump pump issue that needs to be repaired before the next rain which is forecast for tomorrow... I am finding it is now too late to schedule someone out this afternoon, and I will likely have a major flood and bricks coming up under the pipe when it rains.

So I will have to take another day off of work at greater expense. No phone calls, no nothing. Dispatchers or someone could have called or at the very least offered some sort of apology. My time is just as valuable as theirs—Not only did I not get the job done but they wasted an ENTIRE morning and afternoon of my time simply operating under their standard business procedures. Homeowners should have some type of recourse for no shows other than simply posting a review—otherwise companies like this will continue to have no repercussions.

Original review: April 24, 2018

I would give them zero stars if I could. They are a scam. Tried to charge me $850 to install a sink trap. I told them to get the heck out of my house! Don’t use them under any circumstance. Don’t fall for their “ free estimate” scam. They need to be behind bars in my opinion!

Original review: April 24, 2018

We contacted Roto-Rooter after the infamous Four'Easters and subsequent deluge of rain in New Jersey on April 16th. We had a small waterfall at the bottom of our slope, with water bubbling up through the French drain pipe and gushing down our rock wall. They came out the next day and did inform me that the cost for them to blow out the pipe would be $762. I agreed to it as I was put on the spot and vulnerable. He later said that the pipe was not clogged but that the ground was over-saturated, causing the water to seep up. He did reroute the water away from the wall, but just by digging a small trench (with his hands, I think). Something we could have had a landscaper do for far less.

Original review: April 14, 2018

They charged $1182 for replacing a garbage disposal and valves. A disposal and parts costs $120. Average rates for plumber = $45-$150/hr. For 3 hours of time on this job, this guy got $350/hr. Don't fall for this, people.

Roto-Rooter Company Information

www.rotorooter.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business