Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.69/5

Banner image

Need help with a bathroom project?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Banner image

Need help with a bathroom project?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Roto-Rooter Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Roto-Rooter?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Roto-Rooter?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: April 30, 2021

Had Roto-Rooter do a replacement sewer line which now I think we did not even need. I think they took advantage of us. Telling us that discounts would not be available if we waited. It cost 12,000 dollars what kind of discounts did we get? After they did the work with new sewer line we had the same back up and they came back and they cleaned the line in side the house. Well maybe the problem was always in side the house and not out in the front yard. They broke my water line which I had to pay and get fixed. They broke my concrete which they said they would fix but then declined. So now I am paying to have my concrete repaired.

The back fill job was just a big mess and that's the way they left it. I made a big mistake with hiring Roto-Rooter. This has been one of the most horrible companies I have ever had to deal with. They started 1/17/2021 and it is now 4/30/2021 and I am still trying to clean up their mess. Be smart and shop around before hiring Roto-Rooter.

Georege,

I am the liaison between the branch and the customer. I have submitted a formal complaint to the General Manager. You can expect to hear from a member of the management staff shortly.

Customer Service Manager
    Roto-Rooter Services Co.
    Corporate Headquarters

pat.swanson@rrsc.com

Original review: April 17, 2021

Worst experience ever! The situation was so wrong and complex that don't know where to start from. A few lowlights: sent service to our home without our request or confirmation, charged significantly more than what quoted (20 mins job), super rude and offensive customer service. We were expecting another company to come to our home and Roto-Rooter benefited from the confusion. A confusion that they generated by sending a service to our home that was #1 unrequested and #2 unconfirmed by us. Also, they did not have the parts required to do the job that we needed so the result was bad.

Super rude customer service that decides to cynically judge how do we live in our household (e.g. "the problem is communication between you and your wife", among other similar comments) and make very offensive accusations (e.g. "you asked for a service and now you don't want to pay for it") instead of focusing on our issue and trying to help us. Promised, in a snarky way, to call us back and never did. Still trying to process what happened. We never experience anything as bad. Avoid this company as much as you can!!!!

Roto-Rooter response

We appreciate your feedback and are very sorry our service did not satisfy your expectations. Please email me your full-service address, including the zip code, so that I can look into this issue as soon as possible. My email is Pat.Swanson@rrsc.com. Please also include a copy of this review.

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Get buying tips about Online Bathroom Fixtures and Plumbing delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 15, 2021

BE AWARE! MAJOR RIP-OFF! Their technicians are a joke and this company is only interested in pulling as much money out of your pocket as possible by making up defects and/or over-exaggerating the problem. We had a fairly simple blockage in the kitchen and called Roto-Rooter since we're both very busy at work and didn't had time to deal with it. We called Roto-Rooter hoping for a fast, fair and flawless service for this simple problem. The website looked professional so we had high expectations. We asked my dad to open the door for the technician.

This technician literally just glanced underneath the sink and with less than 2 minutes into that visit he started saying that we have a grease-trap problem and that we are dealing with illegal plumbing. My dad is 75 years old and not technical at all so you can sell him everything, but he didn't entirely trust the story so he called me at work to share the 'findings' of this so-called technician. When I enlightened them that our system did not have a grease-trap and that 'illegal' plumbing doesn't exist, unless you're hiding an illegal substance in the pipes, the story quickly changed into a blockage with plumbing but stayed with the 'illegal plumbing' story.

It would cost us $435.00 USD + tax for the blockage and since we are dealing with 'illegal' plumbing we needed a $300.00 USD/hour + tax (!) licensed plumber to remove and reinstall the plumbing. The technician who was so 'educated' on the illegal plumbing situation that he was not allowed to touch it. We were looking at a $800-$1000 dollar bill for the service of these scamming charlatans. I told them to get off my property and take their scamming and overpriced business elsewhere.

I then called a local plumber, who did not get his 300 dollar/hour plumbing license through Harvard or Yale, and it took the man less than 5 minutes to unclog our plumbing with a garden hose and a pipe bladder and charged us 80 dollars to cover the call-out cost. The business model of Roto-Rooter is quite simple; clogged pipes are a disaster! It is gross and it limits you to do the every day chores which is an absolute pain, especially with children. They take advantage of that situation and especially of (elderly) people who have no idea. Let it be clear; $435 dollar for 10-15 minutes of work is a RIP-OFF! $300 dollar per hour for a plumber is outrageous and therefore an even bigger RIP-OFF!!! Stay far far away from this company would be my honest advice!

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: April 14, 2021

After reading several reviews and all the stories sounding so similar to my own I now regret having done business with this organization. Considering they have been around so long and are nationwide I thought they were a trustful, reputable company but after our experience and reading other reviews, I don't feel they are. The day before Easter our bathroom started to back up into our tub, waited until Tuesday to call as we tried to clear issue on our own first. They sent a female tech out in Wednesday to "diagnose" issue and verbally told us to auger/snake out line. We were looking at about $660, and naturally she didn't provide that service so had to wait another day for another guy to come out. Received no written quote (big mistake).

The next day a Male tech came to house, ended up taking toilet off and running snake through pipes to clear clog, also had to put in shut off valve under sink because evidently the old one wasn't working and water supply could have been shut off at the main, but would not do it that way. Said HAD to replace shut off valve to continue so by time the day was done it cost a little over $1000 for job we were verbally quoted at $660, we weren't happy with that but happy to be able to use the toilet and shower as we only have one in our home. Also were told had a 6 month warranty on line and 1 year in valve. This was on a Thursday and by Sunday, a mere 3 days later we were backing up again and not flowing properly!

Called on Monday and they said they would send out a tech Tuesday. After waiting until 1 pm we called back and nope no tech was scheduled to come out until Wednesday! So guy shows up Wednesday and is talking his sale pitch informing us that today will be free of charge due to warranty but if problem wasn't solved and we had recurring issues we would have to have them run a camera down the line. Starting cost if that is $300 and would run more depending on how far they had to dive in to diagnose, then next step would be jetting which would cost upwards of $1600! So we should also schedule the camera inspection today to waive another service fee or take our chances because their 6 mo warranty is ** and only covers 1 return visit free of charge and since we used that we have no warranty now!?! Needless to say we took our chances, if we have issues in the future we will call a local plumber and go from there!

I feel they really didn't do the job properly the first time and that their 6 mo warranty is **, they should inform the customer at time of service it is 6 mo or 1 visit, whichever comes first! I am sad that a company that has been around for so long have such poor business practices and take advantage of people and just feel that people should know, because had I had properly reviewed them I would not have chosen this company! The techs that were at the house were nice and polite, etc. except when they were told we would not be scheduling the camera. He seemed to get aggravated and a little loud but feel after the money that was paid our issue should have been resolved!

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: April 6, 2021

Do not use this company. They are predatory and will take advantage of you. My insurance company advise against this company. When I first called for service, I was told that no one was available to complete the work. Then after learning I had insurance a random employee showed up for a estimate. He told me the price would be 3k. After my insurance company advised me to get that price in writing 7 employees told me they could not provide me a price because of the system they use. It took about a week of calling around to finally hear a 6.5k bill.

The workers ripped off my basement trim without precutting the sealed trim and ripped the drywall. I had to pay a contractor to repair their work. I also paid 2.5k for a sump pump that did most of the drainage. The fine print of the contract also-charges almost 10 dollars for disposable boots and 7 dollars for per pair of disposable gloves that none of the employees used. Multiply that by 7 employees who came to the house. The employees who came would not let me read the electronic paperwork but just wanted me to sign. When my wife and I questioned the paperwork the employee was very hostile and aggressive. My insurance company advised me to never tell these predatory companies that you have insurance because they will suck you dry.

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: April 2, 2021

I contacted Roto-Rooter to fix the issue related to water coming out of sump pump and sitting near the house and same water going inside ground and again recycled by sump pump. I had put long flex pipe which was throwing water away from house. But to make it permanent fix, I called Roto-Rooter. They dig the line near house (not away from the house) and put pipe, thinking it will solve the issue. I paid $6000 for that work. They made it worse. Water started flowing out from five different places from the ground like fountain. I called them, they visited to check and they said they will dig longer line in another direction and wants me to pay another $7000. Since I already paid $6000 and issue was not fix.

I called them again, they didn't came. On the call, I asked them to come and revert the way it was since backyard was full of water coming our of ground from various places. They said they cannot. I had to fix their work by cutting line coming out of sump pump, connecting with multiple flex pipes and make water flow away from the house that night in the middle of heavy rain. I talked with excavation manager that either I am entitled to refund or I will pay additional $3000 to fix the issue. They denied both options. I am hereby lodging complaint and wanted to show my high disappointment.

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: March 26, 2021

I called up Roto-Rooter because our plumbing was backing up. They had to add a clean out in our basement and do other repairs that they found. In the end, we paid them $26,000 and we still have to pay another contractor an additional $11,000 for a sewer line replacement! The other plumber said that we were ripped off and that he does not know how they stay in business. I will be reporting them to the city and the sympathetic attorney general.

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: March 24, 2021

Updated on 04/08/2021: I wanted to add to my original review the outcome of my dealings with this company. The only resolution they offered was a 1/2 price discount. They continued to refuse to honor their guarantee. Today I had 2 plumbers from a family owned company who spent more than 40 minutes addressing the problem. They snaked from outside as well as inside to clean the pipes.

I could hear the electric snake they used both inside and out. It is a sound you can't miss this was not done by Roto Rooter. I had friends here that day that can verify that they spent no more than 15 minutes here and never used an electric snake. They cleared the immediate clog at the base of the trap and that was it, they never bothered to go any further to find and clear the whole problem like these guys did today. Oh and they charged 1/2 the price that Roto Rooter did. I will never use Roto Rooter again. I would suggest you patronize your local plumbers. Family owned businesses like the one I had here today want to keep its customers and go out of the way to do a good job so that you remain a loyal and happy customer.

Original Review: I used Roto-Rooter in October 2021 for my bathroom sink and Tub that were not draining properly. This had been happening for a while but I didn't call until I had waste backup into the tub. All they did was clear the trap. It took less than 20 min from the time they walked in the door including paperwork and the charge was $488.00. I was shocked and I questioned "that's it? You're not going to check or snake the line to make sure you cleared the problem not just the outside catch." The answer was, "It's flowing fine now and you have a 6 month guarantee. If it happens again we will take care of it."

Well it happened again slowly as it did before. The sink drains were slowing and the tub took 15 minutes to drain after a shower. This time I didn't wait for the waste to backup before calling. The tech walked in and I told him I was having the same problem and he asked if the waste backed up into the tub and I told him not yet. Without doing anything or looking at anything he said, "OH then it's a different problem," which it wasn't but he was insistent. They had no intention of honoring the 6 month guarantee.

He stepped outside to call the boss and came back in and said, "If you had called in a few weeks after we were here (remember I had a 6 month guarantee) then it could be the same problem," but as far as they were concerned they wouldn't honor the guarantee because after doing nothing but walking in the door they had already decided not to and just kept saying it's not the same problem, yet they offered to do what they had done before for 1/2 price. What a joke. I refused the 1/2 price offer and will now call a local plumber who I believe will take more pride in his work than this company does. I will never use them again and would never recommend them to anyone. BUYER BEWARE.

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: March 18, 2021

I called Roto-Rooters to come out and fix my tub that was leaking. The guy came out looked at the tub and told me they needed valve stems which I already knew and stated to the reps when I called for them to come and out and fix my tub. He was at my house for only a few minutes. He charged me $110 for what he claimed was a "diagnostic" fee. Then he said to replace the valve stems it would cost $660. Are you serious?? Valve stems and knobs cost at most $40-$50 for a set.

He didn't fix anything and didn't tell me anything I didn't already know, so I don't know how in the world he diagnosed something I called them for. I called the company back to state that I was unsatisfied with being charged $110 for nothing and they sent me over to the manager Mark. He has not returned any of my calls and I have called him for a week straight leaving multiple messages. What is even more frustrating is the company reps told me that I should expect his call, and I should not have been charged for a "diagnostic" fee and should receive a refund. Still no call from the manager two weeks later. So if you want to be scammed out of money for no services performed this is the perfect company for you.

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: March 14, 2021

Calle Roto- Rooter today because the laundry tub in garage was not draining. Called them in the morning on a Saturday and they arrived at 540pm worked less than 30 minutes and charged us $544. We will never use them again. Feel like Technician took advantage of us because we are seniors! Vallejo Ca.

Roto-Rooter response

The Roto-Rooter in your service area is a contractor location. Your email has been forwarded to the Contractors Department who can mediate your information to the owner of the contractor location who serviced you. Someone from the contractor location will reach out to you. Should you need to contact the Contractors Department, please email contractor.customerservice@rrsc.com.

Roto-Rooter Company Information