Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.27/5

Need help with a bathroom project?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Get Started

Need help with a bathroom project?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Get Started

Roto-Rooter Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Roto-Rooter?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Roto-Rooter?

Original review: May 1, 2020

I would just like to express my great experience I had with this company. I had a pipe issue in my house that was causing water leakage and damage to my home. It was a pretty extensive repair that needed to be done which gave me much anxiety. Roto Rooter was the 3rd plumping company that I contacted about the issue and concerns I was having and I am so glad I chose them over the other companies. From start to finish they took excellent care of me and my home and help fix my issue promptly.

My first encounter was with one of their Techs/plumber whom name I believe was Alonzo. He was very informative and professional. He progressed quickly to get their company excavation specialist out to see me the same day to estimate the work I needed done. His name was John and he was the best! He was so helpful and informative. He even gave me the information I needed to give to my insurance company. He constantly checked in with me during the process to make sure I was ok and had the resources I needed.

I also cannot forget the actual Plumber who had to do all of the major labor work to fix my pipes. Antonio and Lorenzo were great. They got the job done in one day and kept me updated on everything that was going on during the process. To sum it up it was just a great experience and I would definitely recommend this company and these particular guys if you have any issues with your plumbing or drains. I would definitely use them in the future.

Original review: March 14, 2020

I had two plumbing problems. Jeff from Roto Rooter Passaic NJ was professional and most experienced plumber I ever had work on my home. Was a good conversation too. Very professional and total expert. 5 stars to Jeff in Passaic NJ Roto Rooter all plumbing needs. Was fast and perfect and gave good advice on how to care for work afterwards. Paul C Passaic NJ

Get buying tips about Online Bathroom Fixtures and Plumbing delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2020

It started with a plugged kitchen sink and ended up a major broken pipe. Happened on the 23rd of December and they still had someone come out same day, then on the 24th and 26th. Involved different departments starting with Kawika (initial contact), then Chris (confirming pipe break) and Noa (the one excavating foundation and yard). Everyone was empathetic, professional and full of aloha. I would recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2019

Matt (3281) came early for the appointment and listened carefully as I explained my leak problem. He asked a few questions and diagnosed the problem. He explained what he was going to do and why it would fix the problem. He went to work and after finishing he had me check the fix he made. IT WORKED! I would highly recommend Matt based on my experience.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

I just finished a service call with Roto-Rooter for a clogged kitchen drain. Shame on me for not clarifying the cost upfront, but I have used them before for the same problem and found their pricing to be fair and reasonable. They have now moved to a flat-rate pricing, and clearing a clogged kitchen drain is now over $500!!! Well, the young serviceman (who was quite friendly and efficient) was barely here for an hour. I only learned of the price once he was already here, and by that time I just needed this project to be done. But be aware if you use this company!! Get pricing in advance so that you are not surprised!!!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2020

After trying to unclog my toilet on my own using every trick in the book, I finally gave in and called Roto-Rooter. Considering they're a national brand, I some high hopes in terms of pricing. It was a simple clogged toilet, right? Wrong. I should have known they'd price-gouge when the representative who took my call couldn't even give me a ballpark figure. The technician showed up within the four-hour timeframe I was given. As soon as he walked in and asked about the problem, he said there were three prices: 1. $310 just to auger, 2. $510 to auger and remove the toilet if necessary, 3. $810 for auger, toilet removal, and running a camera, if necessary. Holy smokes!!! If the rep on the phone would have told me it would be a minimum of $310, I would have looked for another company. The technician was nice and augered the toilet four times. It drained a little better (versus not at all), but he said the clog definitely wasn't gone.

I didn't want to pay more, as he said he went in the full length of his auger, 6ft, so what he originally said was stuck in the actual toilet had now been pushed in further yet still not removed. He spent a total of 45 minutes at my house, and when I asked if there was now potential for a main line clog, he said "Yeah, it's a good possibility." I understand the technician doesn't set the prices, but good Lord, my issue wasn't fixed and has potential to cost even more than the $310 I already paid. He did end up charging me "only" $275, and that was because he said if they needed to come back within the one-week residential guarantee and I would remove the toilet myself, he'd give me a credit for doing that on my own. So, I'm out $275 for 45 minutes of work, toilet still isn't draining, and there's potential for it to be even more costly if the clog blocks a main line. I will NEVER use this company again.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2020

The folks who do the dirty work are great- thank you! However, the front office and anyone you deal with on the phone are beyond unprofessional. They don't call back, make false promises, and don't respond to emails. During the work in our home they took a video to help diagnose our problem and then never gave it to us- after countless attempts to contact them on our part. This was months of calling them repeatedly and not getting a response. Totally unacceptable. If you like headaches- use them. Otherwise, look elsewhere.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2020

These people have a book with prices. They could have told me over the phone they would be charging MORE THAN THE DISHWASHER COST for installation. They wanted 739$!!!! SO basically, they made me pay $69 to come out and tell me something they already had pre-priced in a book. INSANITY!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2020

Absolutely horrible experience. They billed us twice for a repair. The man Paul **, Phone number ** has missed two scheduled appointments. They overcharged us on a repair and hid how much the cost was actually going to be. Please do not use this company. I wish I could rate them at 0 stars.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

I called several plumbers to clean an old, yet functional, sewage drain in my basement. Very easy to access, only about 10 ft of drain pipe. Also upstairs bathroom sink, about 5 feet of drain pipe. Two other plumbers said they could get to it. However, not until later in the week. Roto-Rooter said they have someone in the area and can be there in 2 hours. She would not give me a price over the phone, I later learned why. The other plumbers gave me estimates over the phone, maximum or $250.00 for both jobs. Unfortunately, I made an appointment with one of them and cancelled it when I was told Roto-Rooter would be there in 2 hours. I am remodeling my basement and wanted to get the job finished.

When Roto-Rooter arrived he said the price was $620.00 for each job!! $1240.00 total. I immediately stated that is way, way too much. He stated he would cut the price of the basement drain so I could continue with my remodel. We ended up paying $400.00! He was there for about an hour, $400.00 per hour! When he was finished I was told that I probably should just replace the drain pipe anyway because it wasn't running smoothly. If I would have had both drains opened at the quoted price I would have paid $1240.00 for approximately one, at most 2 hours work. If you can afford to pay between $600.00 to $1200.00 per hour, they are the company for you. I feel they are dishonest by not giving the "company price" over the phone. I will never use them again. I also belong to a Union of 330,000 members and they will be copied on this email.

Roto-Rooter Company Information