1.25/5
Based on 130 reviews that contain star ratings

Mount Vernon, NY

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

136 Mr. Rooter Plumbing Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

An honest review for Mr. Rooter North York Josh **. Request for him if you have a job. I will break down why and why I will likely use them again. I have some knowledge of plumbing and basic home repair. It was an interest I took in school, just headed into a corporate position instead. I called a few contractors for a major reno to my bathroom as I know I am out of touch and didn’t want to take shortcuts. Some seemed okay with a slightly better price & others (I assume); took me for being a girl. They quoted items that just didn’t make sense. Thank gawd I know better and had an uncle experienced in the field. So here is why I recommend Josh from Mr. Rooter.

Flexible. I had other parts of the job that was I wanted to happen first, before I had someone come in. I couldn’t nail down a date but he ensured me, that when I am ready to let him know and he'll be there. No charge to come in an estimate the job. He came in, looked at everything and gave me a ballpark price with a buffer in there. Down to earth. Spoke to me like a person walked me through the possible job and worst case scenarios. There was no clocking ticking or rush to talk through the job quickly.

We had a last minute change to our reno which need plumbing to be job to be complete before our next phase. Called Mr. Rooter at 3 pm to see if he could come in today. He was at another job, finished off and was at my place in Durham within 2 hours. He completed the job, checked that it was done right and walked me through some other items I could manage on my own. He worked quietly, cleanly and asked me before he moved in and out of any area of the house. The rates are company ones and per the item being repaired not by hour. So if he took longer, I wasn’t getting dinged for that. A little higher than other contractors, but was the amount I was quoted. Renovations are stressful but having someone come when you need it, at the price you talked about, completed on time and well. It's worth the little extra.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

We had a simple leaky shower head. A problem we'd been unable to solve. Mr. Rooter from Boulder, Colorado, arrived and worked for an hour. He cleaned our shower head and removed the cartridge from inside our shower faucet. Presumably it was replaced, at least he said so. When he left the faucet no longer worked properly and the shower head continued to leak. We called and dutifully he came out again the next day - same guy. He fumbled around again and explained to my wife what he had done. The leak got worse and the faucet continued to not work properly. I called yet again. The office staff was very nice. We had two people come out the following day to fix the issues.

They worked diligently and claimed to have found the prior mistake which was a screw not properly tightened. They reset the shower head and added additional support against the leaky pipe attachment. We briefly tested it before they left and all seemed fine. The head guy told us that he even adjusted things so we would have more hot water than before. How nice of him. Needless to say, next morning, the shower faucet still continues to not function properly and we have even less hot water than we had before, which wasn't even a problem when we originally called them. Save your money. Find someone else.

Get expert buying tips about Online Bathroom Fixtures and Plumbing delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!! I had the absolute worst experience I have ever had w/ any home improvement I’ve ever had done. I called Mr. Rooter 1st thing on a Friday morning, after noticing water coming out from my hot water tank. They were able to send a technician the same day. When the technician, Scott, arrived, he was noticeably anxious & displayed behaviors, such as humming the same one line of a specific song over & over again for hours on end, profuse sweating from head to toe (despite it being mid-December), constant jaw clenching & throat clearing, etc. He surveyed the hot water heater & after a short time, determined that there was a leak in the tank & that it would need to be replaced entirely.

Based on the behaviors he displayed & the short time it took him to diagnose the issue, I wasn’t completely confident in his assessment. He recommended a completely different replacement hot water heater, one that was at least 2 feet taller than the existing one, which would require significant alterations to the existing copper piping, etc. He left to write up a quote in his truck, and remained there for 1.5 hours. Once he returned to my home, we discussed the quote & based on his recommendation, we agreed upon a new, much larger tank.

He started draining my existing tank w/ a motorized pump and after removing about 5 gallons of water from a 40 gallon tank, he asked me if I could keep an eye/ear in the motor while he left to pick up the new tank, which was located at a Lowe’s about 15 mins from my home. I did not feel comfortable agreeing to that, so he turned the pump off & left to pick up the new tank. 3 hours later, he was still gone picking up the new tank, so I called him, asking when I could expect him back. After 5+ hours of working w/ this Scott, the job was nowhere close to complete. I still had a broken tank that needed to be fully drained, detached from all existing piping, removed from my home, and the new tank installed. When he finally returned, his suspicions behaviors were intensified, he was sweating more profusely, he was now twitching & bumping into walls, and looked like he had scratches all over his face & neck.

I called the manager, Mike, and expressed to him that the Scott’s behavior was making me very uncomfortable, that he was nowhere near finished w/ the job, & that I wanted him out of my house or I would call the police. Mike’s “solution” was to call Scott to ask if he needed any assistance. This only further agitated Scott, so he acted rushed & told me several times that he had another job he needed to get to. At this point, it was getting dark & I asked him not to rush. He then began berating his boss & the company. He hastily removed the old tank & brought the new one inside.

At some point during this process, he nicked my wall, creating a hole, hit my cars side mirror, & made 3 huge gashes in my the side of my car, none of which I noticed until the following day. After bringing the new tank in, I spoke Mike, again & told him again that I wanted him out of my house. I told the technician, Scott, that I had a family emergency, & forced him out of my home, mid-job. I called Mike once again to tell him and he said he would be sending a senior technician, Lou, over. Lou’s arrived around 9:00 pm... 9 hours after the first technician initially arrived. Lou surveyed the work that Scott has done & was in shock. He completely disagreed w/ Scott’s recommendations & the pipework that had been done by him. He spoke to the manager, Mike, and from what I heard from Lou’s end of the conversation, it was a complete notch job.

Lou told me he would return first thing the next morning to complete an additional 3-4 hours of work... leaving me without any running water for 24 hours. Lou returned the next day, as promised & completed the job, which as he explained, took about 4 more hours & he charged me the originally agreed upon amount of $1,500!!! He handed me a card that stated if I give Mr. Rooter a 5-star review, I’d win a $100 gift card, as a consolation. I can’t, in good conscience lie online & have such a review, even for the measly $100 they “offered”.

This company should be ashamed of even asking me to do so, but more importantly, should have done everything in their power to make things right. I felt so unsafe w/ Scott in my house, who I can only assume was on some kind of drugs, & even after telling the manager that I was hiding in my closet, about to call the police, all he did to “make things right” was send over a competent technician & a measly $100 gift card. This company put me through hell, damaged personal property, & still charged me the full amount for the “job” & “labor”.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

We was having trouble with hall bathroom clogged. I called Thursday and they asked for credit card info and charged me 50$ upfront before coming. Then two men arrived. Asked me information I said it just needed a toilet auger. Only drain in house that was backed up. Took 2 min or less to unclog my toilet. I'm disabled and just came home from 3 months from hospital... I was unable to do it myself. I've done my own Plumbing repair for years... And knew it wasn't a hard fix. They charged me 369$ for two min or less of work. I asked did they want my kidney also. Damn... I've never been charged that much for hardly any work. Jeez. Stay away from this company. MR ROOTER IS CROOKS. DO NOT CALL THEM.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

$3767 - 2 bathroom stools and shower with some pipework. Kind, pricey people. Very please with job, but will have to pay. People will not take money with them when they die; don't rob vulnerable clients.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mr. Rooter Plumbing?

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Talked to someone named Adam and the guy was plain rude on the phone and definitely was quoting a more expensive price (called two other places). I heard music and people in the background. Not professional at all.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I chatted online with this company about the problem with pressure of water in my house and then talked to a representative over the phone. When the arrangement for a plumber was done, I expressly asked the representative on costs of the plumber's visit and received an answer that "the initial estimation and assessment of the situation" is free of charge. When the plumber arrived at my house, he immediately asked for $180 for looking at the pipes. I consider this company's approach misleading the public. It is disrespectful to lie right in the beginning to a customer and waste their time. I will avoid this company.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I call them October 16 because there was water around my house and inside it went through the slab, they said it was going to be 200 so gave them my credit card information, the guy came and shut off the water from where the meter is. Then he said he was coming back the next day to see where the leakage was. October 17 he came and checked the water pressure and said we had a leakage and it was going to be 5500 to replace 65 ft of water line, but we wanted just whatever was close to the house so he said it will be 3300 for 35 ft of water line. He asked for a credit card and I told him that I was going to give him one because the one you used the day before wasnt going to have enough credit but he said I could use the one I already had because the card wasnt going to get charge. That it was only a formality for him to be able to start working the next day. So the same day I checked my credit card statement and they had charge me with 1100.

I called him and ask him why I got charge if he said that wasn't going to happen and he didn't even start working. He told me to call the office, I called them and the lady told me that they were going to call me the next day. Oct 18 I call the office and the lady said the plumber had call me but I didn't answered, I told her I didn't received any calls, she said she will tell him to call me back. He did and said he wasn't going to start the work until October 22, I asked him again why they charged my card when he said that wasnt going to happen. I told him I was just going to pay for the initial 200 and that I didnt wanted him to do the job anymore and he said I had to call the office for that. Called the office and the lady said the money was a retainer and she wasnt going to refund me that money.

This people told me it was illegal to shut off my water from the meter and that I needed a plumber to do that which I called the city and they said it wasn't true, they told me I had a leakage which I didn't, it was just water from the rain and because my house is lower than my backyard neighbor all their rainwater ends on my yard, so the plumber checked the pressure of the water and saw I didn't have a leakage but he told me I did. They lied about my credit card not getting charge until work was done and they misused the information I gave them to pay for the 200 and ended up charging me 1100. I put a complaint to the BBB, I already told everyone I work with to never make the mistake of calling them.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Started to install a toilet tank repair kit on a Saturday morning but ran into trouble with trying to remove rusted bolts. Called Mr. Rooter and had to pay $100 upfront to have a tech come to the house. Told me it would cost $700 dollars to fix the toilet. I didn't want to lose the first $100 so I agreed. He used the repair kit I bought at Home Depot, didn't subtract the cost from the bill, and they email you the receipt which is not itemized. Came home Tuesday and the toilet was leaking from the bolts that hold the tank to the bowl. Called at 2 PM and no return call the rest of the day. Called again at 4 AM Wednesday morning and waiting for someone to come back and fix it. Wish I had read the reviews here before I called them.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

Call them out to unstop a kitchen sink drain. First tech arrived, ran a snake machine thru the clean out, said he needed someone else to come out with a water pressure machine, so we waited for them to show up after his other job was done. When he did show up all the man did was put the water hose into the cleanout, flush out the pipe, then they gave me a bill for 583.62. I do not ever recommend using this company, they will rip you off, needless to I'm fighting the bill. Please don't fall victim to this place, pick another plumbing company. No place on earth charges 583.62 for flushing out a drain pipe. This company is cheating and extorting money from its customers.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

Our garbage disposal needed replacement. Mr. Rooter installed a 1/2 hp disposal commonly found at Lowe’s for under $150 in about 90 minutes and charged my wife $550. The invoice had no listing of product cost or labor. If this isn’t a ripoff, I don’t know what is.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

When presenting me with an estimate the first estimate that I was shown by the serviceman was $157.00. I thought this was the total for a toilet set replacement and two drains cleared in a tub. I was charged in total, $99 for the toilet seat, $119.45 to clear a bathtub drain, and $157.00 to clear another bathtub drain in the downstairs bathroom. I have never been charged such high prices! Avoid this company at all costs - because believe me, you're gonna pay.

Original review: July 30, 2018

We called Mr. Rooter on a Thursday, due to a problem with a kitchen sink being clogged. Two employees of Mr. Rooter came out and said they were not able to remove the clog. They sent their camera through the drain and said that they believed we had a collapsed pipe. They said it would be necessary to dig up the area the pipe was under - and it would cost $4,000 (50% of it due immediately). They said they would send out workers on Friday. On Friday two servicemen came to the house and said they needed to excavate the cement In our office, located in the finished basement of our home. They jack-hammered out the entire length of our office room. Then they cut a hole in the pipe they had uncovered, and lots and lots of what they call "kitchen core" oozed out of the opening.

They vacuumed up all that poured and replaced part of the pipe they had cut open. They then called for another member of the company to come and scope the sewer line to again. The man who was doing the camera work had broken one of the cameras, so it was taking him over a couple hours to get another camera and get to our house. Because of the delay, the two workers refilled all they had excavated with cement and left. When the camera person arrived, he scoped the pipe and said there was water in it and there should not be water there, so they would need to excavate another part of our basement to the main sewer at a cost of $250/foot, so they would need another $3,000 (again requiring us to pay an additional $1,500 immediately).

We were then told that they do not work on weekends, so they would not be back out to finish the job until Monday. Over the weekend we had time to think about what had taken place and realize that there was not a collapsed pipe at all. When two different employees arrived on Monday they dug out a hole in the same place that the sludge had come out of and ran another snake - removing the clog. They then recemented the area and left. We then received a call from them the next week telling us that we still owed them an additional $550 and when would we be paying that. I told them that we had paid them $3,700 for what should have been a about a $400 clog removal charge.

I would suggest that anyone needing a plumbing service be certain to get a second opinion from a reputable plumbing company before they incur the ridiculous charges that were made to us. We also experienced a lack of communication not only between the company and us as customers, but also between the supervisors and the men doing the work. I would not recommend Mr. Rooter for any of your plumbing needs.

Original review: July 23, 2018

I had sewer back up problem and called Mr. Rooter on Sunday. One George arrived at scheduled time. Explained about snaking and hydro jetting. Scheduled service for Monday noon as it was already dark. George called and came ahead of schedule at around 10.40AM. Tried Hydro-jetting as well as snaking. Removed lots and lots of roots, but still could not open up the drain. His supervisor came and located the blockage which was very close to the city sewer line. Actually, the sewer line belongs to the county and he was not able to give an accurate estimate until he calls the county office and finds out their regulations etc. But, he did mention that couple of large trees need to be cut down, need to dig down and replace the broken (not sure how it was concluded, experience may be - will give him benefit of doubt) clay pipes with PVC and the cost will easily run upwards of 10K!!

Read many bad reviews with people who had similar experience. I am yet to conclude, but for now will rate them highly for the following reasons. 2 people spent over 5 hours trying snaking, jetting, locating the blockage etc... George was very genuine and was completely spent trying is best to open the clog. The blockage looks genuine. They did not insist on full or half payment. I paid less than 30% of the contracted amount, no fuss. I have had experience in the past with plumbers who charged heavily despite not completing the work! Genuine company, Genuine people, Genuine effort at least in my case. I will certainly call them back for any future needs and will never hesitate to if George is available.

Original review: July 2, 2018

Called for mainline sewer clean out and once they got there they started the upsell. Ran snake down the line, said it was to laden with roots needed to use the hydro jet at an increased price. Then after that they ran a camera down and said the line was crushed had to dig up section and replace the damaged portion. After almost 2 days they then say the section they thought was bad is now prepared but another 37 feet needed to be repaired... They could recline at a cost of 250.00 per foot... Needless to say, told them to hit the road... Stay away from these franchise crooks.

Original review: May 30, 2018

This is a rip-off company! I called them because my sewer pipe from my house was clogged and running slowly. When I called I asked what their rates were and was told that I would be given a price on-site at no cost. Okay, so when the guy arrives without even looking at the problem he said it would cost between $2 and 3 thousand. I told him to get back into his truck and leave. Then he said he could do it for $1800. Again I told him to leave, he then said he could do it for $1000 because he wanted to have a good business relationship with us. I went to Home Depot and rented an industrial powered drain cleaner (snake) for $50 and fix the problem within an hour.

Original review: April 25, 2018

My called them because my sewer was backed up. They came out and couldn’t clear it by rooting it (Which was successfully done by 2 previous companies in the past 5 years). He told me it would cost $595 (Outrageous). But that money would go towards trying to Water Jetting. $1000. Of course that didn’t work. Then I was told that money would go towards installing a clean out. $4500. After all was said and done they left a large hole in my front yard. Charged me for the first 2 procedures ($595 & $1000) and the $4500. Plus another $1200 that was added to the invoice unknown to us. So they want to charge us $7000 for a job that should of been done for around $250 if they were honest. I highly recommend NOT using Mr. Rooter Plumbing. Save yourself a lot of money and stress.

Original review: April 14, 2018

This business does not give any indication of prices over the phone and say they do not "charge by the hour, but by the job". It turns out they have a price list that is fixed for types of jobs, but they won't even give you those prices over the phone. They charge $100 for the call out, although they say it's not a call out fee, but just to protect themselves from no shows. BUT, if you don't accept their quote to do the job, they charge you the $100 anyway. Sounds like a call out fee to me. And since you can't get any indication of what the job will cost before they come out, you're kind of stuck with it even if the quote is ridiculous. Their rates are way over what you would expect for the job. We paid $348 to unblock a drain, a job that took between 60 and 90 minutes. I won't be calling them again.

Original review: April 7, 2018

They did come out on Easter Sunday for an emergency blockage (house full of people) but I should have asked how much. Charged $498 to clear 25 feet of sewer line, which I was told was flat rate whether it was ten feet or a hundred feet. No mention of emergency service. At least they came within a few hours and got the job done. Here’s a hint- if you have an older system and have visitors from the city make sure you know what they are flushing!

Original review: March 28, 2018

The worst experience with a plumbing company ever. Don't believe a bit of their ad and commercial. Bunch of thieves. Start with the receptionists who are rude, unprofessional and nasty. You feel like you need to hang up right there. You get an appointment for next day. Next day, someone call you saying the man is on his way. Be there in 20 min. That goes for 30, then 40 then 60. You call the office and they lie saying he is stuck in traffic!!! It's about 11:00 o'clock am and it's best time of day to drive (maybe he stopped for breakfast at...) Then here he comes after 1:30 minutes. He checked the grinder by plugging the power cord, and started beeping and alarm went off then circuit breaker went off. He concluded in 3 minutes that it's an ELECTRIC problem and insisted that I call electrician.

I told him same issue happened 3 years ago, and serviceman had to remove the cover of the grinder pit and clean the junk. Junk jammed the grinder/lift pump. So, please remove the cover and investigate and check out the place there. "No," he insisted that it's electric issue. He charged me $46.99. I consulted an electrician and the electrical testing passed. No problem. Called Mr. Rooter later same day. After I explained and talked to the "manager" they said the same person will come back. Next day I called and confirmed they are sending someone. At 11 am they told me Mike will be there in 20 min. Again, 20, 30, 40, 50 and no one came. After one hour I called inquiring and they were rude and nasty, with same excuse of traffic jam. That is however, not a traffic jam time, it's a lie.

He finally came after 1:35 minutes. Went to the grinder and plugged it in and the alarm went off and then circuit tripped. He said I can put a new grinder and cost about $1,800 with tax. I told him, "You need to check the current one. I really think it's mechanical issue that is jamming the pump from working and tripping the circuit. Also, if you saying that it's electrical, what benefit a new one will do?!" He again, insisted that he will install a new one and I found this a rip off; just trying to make money and just like robbing someone. Totally unethical. Not only that, but because I did not want him to install a new one he became rude, and started swearing and on his way out continued to swear and made signs and more vulgar language.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

Very overpriced for a service that took 20 minutes. Was charged 400+ dollars for plumber to diagnose problem and inform me that I have to call the city to deal with the issue. I understand the issue is not his to fix but very dissatisfied with overpriced charged for work that took 20 minutes.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

Friday a.m. we discovered a water line leak in the front yard, we called Service Line Warranties to fix it, sent a man with a shovel. He dug a huge hole, said we would need to cut down our 30 plus year old Oak to repair the leak??? Roots were in the way, and still would be, asked what we were supposed to do in the meantime, replied nothing we can do. Called Rescue Rooter next, they sent Gary Saturday. He dug another big hole by our meter and said they wouldn't work on old Quest lines. $5187.00 to replace water line, told them needed more opinions. Gary left, and didn't fill in the hole he dug, neither did SLW! Mr. Rooter sent Carlos out Sunday a.m. He said he would repair the line, hopefully before the rain. I thanked him, we had been without water since Friday a.m. Of course the rains came as he was still trying to locate the leak which he thought was directly under the tree. He should have left then, can't find water leaks in the rain.

Instead Carlos stayed, and in the pouring rain, set up a temporary water line so we could at least have water until he could return to finish repairs!!! This was way above and beyond, especially after the dealings with the previous plumbers... I came home Monday to find Carlos had routed the line around the tree, thus saving it! I was in shock! Carlos worked and dug for hours to accomplish this. Carlos you are an awesome person. If this is any indication of the employees at Mr. Rooter they are greatness! They have a new, and loyal customer! I have never felt the need to write a review of anything until now, but this had to be done! Carlos would take nothing for all his extra time and effort. He said he just wanted to make sure we had water, and we're a Happy Customer. He succeeded in both! Thank you so very much Carlos and Mr. Rooter. A+++. P.S. Carlos also repaired the messes the other plumbers left!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I had a problem with my hot water heater. I called the local franchisee of MR. Rooter. My first mistake was that I didn't check the reviews. With a lot of bad reviews I would have known better and stayed away. That was my fault. I blame myself. 2 people came out to repair my water heater. I don't know why they would send 2 people but I should have realized that something was wrong. I showed them the water heater and within 10 seconds they started with "your water heater is old and it's not worth repairing"... Wait a second. I called for a repair and now they are trying to sell me a new water heater. They never even bothered to look at the heater or try to determine what's the matter. They never bothered to bend down and light it or try and do anything. They saw that it was 1 year past the warranted date and then went into selling mode.

The estimate: They emailed me an estimate. All it said was 1 water heater and installation and a price of $1,500.00. There was no make or model number, nothing. In New York we don't do business like this. This is the way scams are done and that's exactly the way Mr. Rooter operates. Let's scam the customer and screw them. I don't know if this is the way that they operate but I called corporate headquarters and nobody responded. The local franchisee charged me $40 to tell me that I needed a new water heater. This is a shady way to do business. The corporate phone number for Mr. Rooter is 254 745 2400 and ask for Linda in customer service. She was very nice. Took all of my information and did nothing.

The DWYER GROUP runs this company as well as a lot of others in the service sector. On their website they talk about VALUES. It is a total joke. It looks good in writing but they do NOT adhere to them. Scam the customer and take their money. Doyle James is the president of Mr. Rooter. He should be ashamed of the way his franchisees operate.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

They advertising 24/7 service, when I called on Sunday February 11 2018, I was told Sunday service was not available. I even called twice to be sure I heard the correct information. Again I was informed no service on Sunday. I mentioned their advertising said 24/7 service. I was told no service on Sunday. I asked what 24/7 meant and did not get an answer. I am Advantage Plan member but this made not difference. This is a complete waste of money. Don't buy the Advantage Plan. This company is a complete fraud.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

Our washer overflowed and we called Mr. Rooter in for help. After inspecting our clean out and going up on the roof and inspecting shafts from kitchen and bathroom, we were told we had a pipe collapsed in 3 places under the slab of our house. Estimated job would be well over 20,000. Paid in 173.00 that day. He indicated he would be back for final estimate. We have never seen him again. We called local plumber, Staas Plumbing to come in. After thorough investigation, he determined there was no collapsed pipe! Blockage repair cost less than 150.00. Don't ever use Mr. Rooter!!!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

We had a clogged tub the day before NYE, they sent a plumber out to unclog the tub precharged $65 for coming out. He gave us the price of $310 for the job. The plumber's machine broke while trying to unclog the tub. The plumber quickly left after notifying us his machine broke. He said someone else would come. They told me it would be a few hours before someone could come. We were leaving for holiday weekend so we had to reschedule for the following Wednesday. We had to wait all morning but a second plumber came unclogged the tub and we paid their fee of the remaining balance of 245. 3 days later it was clogged again, we called again and were told that the last plumber that was there had to be the one to come out if not they would have to charge us all over again.

This was on Saturday, the plumber we needed was off Sunday so they booked him for Monday. Monday morning they called and said he was off Monday as well and they misread his schedule. So now we had to wait until Tuesday for him to come because if they sent someone else we would get charged another 310. We were not happy with this now going a few days with a clogged tub. We decided to call another service because we needed it done ASAP. We canceled the appt with Mr. Rooter. Only after we canceled and said we would write a bad review did they offer to send another tech for free. Which before they couldn’t do. This is just ridiculous. We will never use this service again. They have the worst customer service keeping us waiting for hours and making scheduling mistakes. If you want a problem fixed right the first time don’t call Mr. Rooter in Freehold NJ.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

It was a bad experience with Mr. Rooter Plumbing of Las Vegas. Over the phone, I was quoted $79 to fix a clogged kitchen sink. The plumber was scheduled to arrive between 3-5pm so I took off work two hours early. Kenneth arrived at the door at 4:30pm and the price switched to $225 which was a total rip off. I told the plumber I was not happy but he didn't seem to care. He said "go ahead and write a bad review" so here it is. Needless to say I will never use nor recommend Mr. Rooter.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

This company is a total scam. I wanted a plumber to look at my hot water tank to see if it could be fixed. Only problem was that the pilot light would not stay lit. They called back quickly and arrived on time. That's where the good part stops. The man who arrived was no plumber. He was not dressed to do work, had no tool box and reeked of cigarette smoke.

He removed the doors to the pilot light area, but after one look said I needed a new tank. I asked him to try to light it for me and he was hesitant. Then I told him to check out the parts for possible repair. He told he DIDNT DO THAT!!! What? I hired a plumber who didn't come to fix anything. Then he proceeded to write up an estimate for a new tank at the exorbitant cost of $1391.00. I put him out the door. I wasn't charged, thank goodness for that. Later that evening a friend who knows plumbing came over, replaced a part and now I have hot water. Stay away from Mr. Rooter Plumbing!!!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

Called Mr. Rooter on 11 Dec to request technician to unclog our drain. Technician arrived I explained the kitchen sink, dishwasher and washing machine would not drain and had standing water. He quoted me 200.00 to unclog and I agreed. After about 15 minutes he provided me an update stating that I had a broken pipe under my house. I asked for a quote and he came back with 10,700. Since I was in the middle of planning my Mother's funeral and had company on the way I explained that a temporary fix would have to work for now and I would get back with him later on the broken pipe. I paid him 200.00 and he left. The sink had drained, but the dishwasher and washing machine still had standing water. I turned the sink on and it would not drain.

The next day my Husband rented a machine and had all three unclogged and draining within the hour. To rent the machine it was 22.00. When we called the company back (Mr. Rooter) the guy said "Uh, oh well would you like to speak with my boss" and during the transfer of phone we were disconnected. I would not recommend this company. I feel like they took saw that I was vulnerable due to the loss of my mother and then took advantage of the situation. Shame on you Mr. Rooter.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

I called them out to take a look at our kitchen sink. When they arrived I explained what issues we were having and the technician said it would be an easy fix and should only take about 20 minutes. I asked how much and he told me it would be $391.00. I told him that I thought that was exorbitant and he said that, "I don't set the prices, I just go by what our system says." I called the office and asked for a manager and explained the same thing to him. He even seemed surprised by the price but then he asked someone else and they confirmed the same price. I explained to him that I thought the price was way too high for 20-30 minutes of work. He then asked me how do I know it will only take that long. I explained to him that even I knew it was only a clogged drain and that his technician told me that's how long it would take.

The manager then allegedly called the technician but could not get a hold of him. He then proceeded to tell me that they factor in the average price for jobs based on regional information. I told him I completely understand that but the price was still too high. He then told me that if the work only took 20-30 minutes then he would discount the job. Twenty seven minutes later the technician was done and requested payment. I informed him that he needed to call the office and he asked "for what". I told him that they said they would be giving me a discount.

The technician goes outside, calls the office and comes back in to tell me I would not be getting a discount and I needed to pay the full amount now that the work was completed. I cannot believe I allowed these people to come in my house and steal from me like this. Their process is likened to a scam. It's designed to drive up their profitability. They use the free estimates to get into your house. Then they bank on the fact that they are the first ones to come out and they are standing in your home and can solve your problem, sometimes. Call anyone but these people. Everyone I have spoken to after the job says it's a $200 job max.

Mr. Rooter Plumbing Company Information