Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

600 Roto-Rooter Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 15, 2019

Never use Roto Rooter, it was a terrible experience from start to finish. They claimed they would send a a technician within a two hour window and instead made excuses while one didn’t come for 7 hours. Once the technician did arrive, despite the website claiming he would do an Estimate about the price, he barely glanced at my clogged shower before pulling out a price sheet from Roto Rooters that just gave flat rates for various services. He did unclog my shower and I have no issue with his work, but the way the situation was handled was the opposite of how Roto-rooters advertised themselves.

The price was also far, far higher than a normal shower drain clog would be. It was $636 dollars after tax when normally unclogging a shower drain is $100.00 to $200.00 at most. When I called to question all of these things, from the ridiculous charge to the lies about their estimation, I also got frankly terrible customer service. For two days in a row I was told that I would be connected to a manager and then I was promptly given the run around until someone on Sunday admitted they were lying to me when they said I would have been able to speak to a manager over the weekend.

When I finally did manage to speak to someone from customer service, they told me that there was $472.00 charge just for the plumber showing up, despite that never being mentioned to me over the phone or anywhere on Roto-Rooter's website and various service sections. The plumber also did not say that when he showed up. She then claimed - without providing any evidence - that he’d given me a discount. She also noted that he had also unclogged my sink even though he wasn’t supposed to, even though upon checking other things reviews I found that technicians frequently do “courtesy repairs” without being asked, and it honestly seems more like a manipulation tactic to make people feel guilty when they try to call in to customer service to complain about the ridiculous prices. It’s also worth noting that while my sink was slow draining, I specifically asked him not to do it.

The customer rep I spoke to also claimed that the free estimates were only for “serious” problems when I brought up that I had merely been charged a flat rate and felt manipulated by the $472.00 charge for the plumber “showing up”. When I noted this is not at ALL what the website implies, she claimed that was all corporate advertising and that she didn’t know anything about the pricing. Honestly that did not make sense to me, since she seemed to know before I brought her up.

After that, I hung up with her. Do NOT do business with Roto Rooters. Their technicians may know what they are doing - and are honestly likely also taken advantage of by the company - but it’s not worth it. They are extremely late with vague explanations and offer nothing for that, lie about how their pricing works, overcharge, and their customer service gives you the run around and tries to duck all responsibility with misleading statements and a corporate structure that means you never talk to someone who actually knows enough to give you any answers.

Original review: July 12, 2019

We had water leaking into our water softener, the water softener still worked, just some leaking. The plumber came out this morning and basically told us he may not be able to fix it. We should have listened and said thank you for coming. First off, he couldn't remove the clips which my husband had to remove for him. When he took the top off, he ended up ripping the wiring out of a plug on the back of the water softener. He thinks he fixed the leak, however; my husband said what about the wiring. The plumber told him "go online, I'm sure you can figure it out."

As he was figuring up the bill, we asked about a discount since our water softener was working fine before, with the exception of the leak. He basically told my husband "how do I know you didn't do that?" He ended up giving us $50 off of a $900 bill, coincidentally there is a coupon online for the same amount, but he couldn't use both. Basically, we paid $860, for our water softener to not be able to work at all. Thanks Roto Rooter.

Original review: July 9, 2019

I wish I would have read the reviews before using them!! I contacted Roto-Rooter for a clogged kitchen sink over my local plumber due to the $60 off service coupon they were advertising. I thought $60 would make a difference - but not so much when he told me the total would be $570!!!! They fixed the clog in 20 mins - so $570 for 20 mins of work felt extremely overpriced. I called my local plumber after and they mentioned they would have changed $180. I'm livid. While the service was professional and satisfactory, it was oppressively expensive. I will not use them again!! Call your local/neighborhood plumber instead.

Original review: July 8, 2019

We had Roto-Rooter come out because our drain pipe was backing up in to the utility sink in our basement. They came out on a Sunday and charged us $500 but were unable to unclog it. Monday they sent another man out who then tried to charge us $10,000 for a "collapsed" pipe and told us it was an emergency that our whole house could flood and we had to remove the front yard tree ASAP because it was collapsing the pipe. We had the tree removed same-day and scheduled the repairs for the following day. We then started catching the plumber in lies, stating that he wanted us to remove the tree so it didn't "fall on his guys", we then were told we were unable to have the stump removed because the gas company had to come out and mark the gas lines. The plumber said he would do it himself, which we called the gas company and was told that was illegal.

After multiple red-flags we received a second opinion from a great company and it turned out that our curb trap (which Roto-Rooter said we did not have) had to be unclogged for $500 and the pipe was never collapsed. We cancelled the work with Roto-Rooter and the plumber called my fiance a total of 4 times trying to push us to have the work, threatening that our house will flood and then tried to lower the price of the pipe repairs. We removed a tree for no reason and could of been out $10,000 but luckily knew that there were red-flags and we needed to dig into this a bit more. I would NEVER recommend Roto-Rooter or use them ever again. We are not the only ones in our area that this company and plumber tried to pull this scam on.

Original review: July 1, 2019

They charge me $450 for a "Leak Detection." The plumber took advantage of the fact that there were no females at the house. He advised us a leak detection was complicated and there were various things he needed to do. He walked around the house for 10 mins and said there was a water filter missing and it was causing a leak. Offer to fix it for another $300. Needless to say, it was an easy fix that took me ten mins that I did myself after watching a Youtube video.

When I turn the water on my home was flooded because there was a pipe missing under the sink. The plumber never went inside the house while doing a leak detection - lol. He spent less than an hour at my house and charged me $450. When I complained they said if I let the plumber put the filter on they would've found the other leak and told me if I didn't pay they would put a lien on my house.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Roto-Rooter?

Original review: June 30, 2019

Roto Rooter was to come and scope the sewer line as I was in the process of selling my home and this was required by the borough. They found where a couple places had issues and needed repaired. My estimate was over 3,000.00. They came back out, dug up the yard and supposedly made repairs. My house was sold within days of this work being completed. The new buyers text me and asked if I ever had issues with the downstairs plumbing. I said no, never. They said they hear gurgling in the toilet and sinks. 2 weeks later I get another text stating they woke up to a backed up toilet all over the first floor.

They called Roto Rooter and of course they said the work was not guaranteed and they would be charged to come out. They got another plumber which was there for over 8 hours trying to get this blockage opened. He ended up digging up where roto rooter had made repairs to find they never connected the pipes back up. After they had made the repairs I had called concerning the bill and the fact that the guy told me they would reseed the ground. No one ever returned my call and completely ignored me. I will never recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: June 29, 2019

Roto-Rooter was sent to our home by the landlord, which did not verify too much information on this company. This tech came to our home and after a few short minutes decided to charge us $226 and wrote in the invoice "TOILET STOPPAGE CLEAR WITH AUGER AND $226.00. Comment: Upstairs, master bath toilet.

Removed "scent pod" from toilet. Found hose disconnected from flush valve; reconnected and tested operation." When I called other plumbers in the area, everyone was shocked to hear how much he charged us for this 5 min labor he had to put in without bringing anything new. This is outrageous and never ever call them again. I will make sure to put it in all the social media.

Original review: June 28, 2019

I had a shower cartridge that was going bad. They came in and replaced the shower cartridge and the leak was fixed. What they did do however, was tighten the nut too much and I am not able to get hot water. I have now taken three days off work and they have cancelled twice to fix the problem. Now I have been on hold with a dispatcher for 20 minutes.

Original review: June 25, 2019

I called on Monday and scheduled an appointment for a plumber to come out on Tuesday. Later that day, I noticed that Roto-Rooter had called and left 3 messages within a few minutes. When I called them back an hour later they said "you didn't answer so we cancelled your service." I was really confused but figured out that they had scheduled my service for the wrong day. No problem, I figured, everyone makes mistakes. So I just told them again that I would like to have an appointment for Tuesday.

Tuesday comes and I figure I had better call them since they had a mess up with my scheduled service in the first place. So I called them and they said "yes, we will be there between 6:30 and 8:30." I waited. Waited some more. Then I called them since I hadn't heard anything and it was well past 7. They said "we will call you back after we talk to dispatch". So I waited another half hour and called back again. This time they told me nonchalantly "oh you have been rescheduled for tomorrow".

I thought they were joking since I had confirmed 3 times with them that they were in fact coming today to give me an estimate. I was upset and asked why no one had even bothered to call me to let me know. The dispatcher said "well what do you expect for a FREE service call? If you don't like it, explore your other options." I guess they think it's ok to waste your time since they claim to give you a "No Hassle Free Estimate". And I guess they think it's ok to talk to you like YOU'RE the idiot because they messed up. They never once apologized for the inconvenience or for not calling to tell me. Never again. I will never again deal with these morons. I hope I can discourage someone else from using these inconsiderate, incompetent liars! I have already called other places, lots of other plumbers give free estimates. You shouldn't be treated poorly by someone you want to hire for a job.

Roto-Rooter response

Sara,

We appreciate your feedback and wish to talk to you as soon as we can. Please email me your full-service address including zip code so that I can look into this as soon as possible. Please also include a copy of this review.

Pat

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: June 24, 2019

I called Roto-Rooter because my downstairs bathroom was flooding. The litigation team showed up first then the actual plumbers. They charged me 315.00 to take the toilet and check to see if I did indeed have a pipe burst. Well I didn't. So they sealed the toilet back down. Only for the litigation team to come back and take the toilet back up, rip off baseboards, remove my vanity and cut sheetrock from 3 separate rooms. They were suppose to take the flooring up and carpet off the stairs but didn't do any of that. They bought out fans to try and dry real hardwood which is impossible. They sent me an invoice for 3821 for so called black water restoration. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY! THEY ARE A TOTAL RIP OFF. They will be hearing from my lawyer.

Roto-Rooter response