3.4/5 (520 ratings)
Find an Online Bathroom Fixtures and Plumbing partner
Banner image

Need help with a bathroom project?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About Roto-Rooter

Banner image

Need help with a bathroom project?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Roto-Rooter Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Roto-Rooter?

Original review: Dec. 30, 2022

We call Roto-Rooter and the technician, Jeff E, came to our home supposedly to fix a gas leak that was occurring in the living room fireplace. He took the whole chimney apart and removed screws and put all the stuff aside. To finally say that he was unable to fix the leak and had no idea how to do it. He left the house leaving all that mess for which we had to contract with another company to fix the leak and put all the parts of the chimney back in place. All the mess that the technician Jeff made in our house cost us dearly because we had to pay double to fix the ineptitude he did.

Roto-Rooter response

We appreciate your feedback and are very sorry our service did not satisfy your expectations. Please email me your full-service address, including the zip code, so that I can look into this issue as soon as possible. My email is Pat.Swanson@rrsc.com. Please also include a copy of this review.

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: Dec. 29, 2022

My sewer line had an overflow back in late October. My family woke up to waste and waste water in our basement. We are new to our town and house and Roto-Rooter appeared in our Google search. They came a few hours later. We learned that we needed our sewer line cleaned out and our trap replaced and that they would also disinfect our basement and remove damaged carpeting and sheetrock. The employee who came, Matt, asked for my home insurance policy. I should have known better but he requested it via email, and I gave it to him. Matt stated that I had an excellent home insurance policy and that Home Insurance would cover the cost of repair and replacement of damaged materials as well as floor replaced and wall restoration.

Well, I agreed to the water mitigation, sewer line cleaning and trap replacement. Trap replacement, with Roto-Rooter (I later learned) was extremely overpriced but I opened up a line of credit to pay for the trap replacement. The sewer line cleanout was about $700. The trap replacement was almost $7500. We also made a payment of $4000 on the line of credit. We had our floors replaced, and walls restored with the remainder of our claim.

In late November, I begin receiving emails stating that we have a balance of over $11,000 for water mitigation. The total cost that Roto-Rooter is claiming that we owe them is the exact cost of the entire claim from my home insurance policy. Roto-Rooter is claiming water mitigation and trap replacement for almost $20,000. I called a local plumbing service and learned that Roto-Rooter grossly overcharged us and that anyone will tell you that Roto-Rooter is known for overcharging customers and being unethical. I am greatly disappointed in the "hustle" that Roto-Rooter is doing. It is now ethical as they know that people use their services for emergencies. Do Better!

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: Dec. 26, 2022

What a disappointment this company is. Dec 24 woke up to blocked kitchen sink drain. Called local plumber that could not clear and then was referred to Roto-Rooter. Roto-Rooter came by and made half the effort to clear the clogged drain, then gave up and still charged me $230. Thanks for nothing RR. 1st plumber: NO CHARGE (due to inability to clear the drain.) Terrible service.

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: Dec. 16, 2022

I called them as a result of a leaking shower valve. I had to call them a second time for the representative did not make record that I needed assistance. Their paperwork states they work with insurance, but they don't. They performed work without consulting with my insurance and the excess wasn't covered. They also charged me for visits not rendered. I inquired twice about the overcharge and no one responded. However, they charged me. The plumber informed me it would be a 2 person job to install my plumbing fixtures and $2,800. When the plumber arrived, they did not know how to install the fixture. I had to look for another plumber. I found an experienced one, who spent 6 hours installing and cost $1,900. I have now sought legal assistance to have Roto Rooter respond to the overcharges. Ask your insurance company on recommendations and beware of Roto Rooter.

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: Dec. 2, 2022

Don't ever go to them. They overcharge for everything and one of the reasons is they increase their prices, because they get commissions for the services they provide. They installed a water heater for more than $5000 where you can easily get if done for $2500-3500. The manager is the worst. Bad customer service and unprofessional. I tried to come up with an agreement and he was just a complete A…. I wish they could be more honest with the services they provide.

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: Dec. 1, 2022

Called the company to come out for a basic drain cleaning due to a clog in the basement toilet. The technician came out later that day to perform the service, and after being made aware of the floor drain by the HVAC, did not end up capping it to avoid potential backup during the clog cleaning process. This resulted in part of the clog backing up into my basement and the floor around my washer, HVAC, and water softener. After making the tech aware and asking if he would be cleaning up his mess that was easily avoidable, it was done half way, only cleaning what was visible on the ground rather than under the washer or water softener.

The technician advised that the company would send out a camera inspector to ensure that the job was done, and everything was clear. No technician arrived, and I had to make numerous calls to try and get someone out. When someone did finally come out, he said he could not do it because of his size and the space where the cleanout was, but someone else would be sent. Nobody was sent back out, no service was scheduled after calling again, and no call backs from leaving messages when I would be forwarded to other people. This company is nothing more than a scam with not performing services as promised, and I will be sure to pass these details along to the BBB for resolution since the company would not respond to me.

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: Nov. 26, 2022

Beware: read reviews before using this company! Called due to toilet problem, thinking sewer line needed clean out. Tech arrived, checked both bathrooms and determined he could just snake out one of the toilets. He used a manual snake auger, found in the average homeowner's garage and was done in 10 minutes or less. I find the charge of $350 for this service to be exorbitant and I consider it price gouging. Never again! Use your local plumber!

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: Nov. 18, 2022

Beware of price gouging. They hire convicted felons. Worst company I have ever worked for. Went to bed with a guilty conscience every night. Always do your research and ask your insurance provider who they recommend if you are ever in need of water mitigation.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2022

All I will say is be very careful when agreeing to a price that is quoted BEFORE the job is done. What I thought was going to be a complex multi-issue problem turned out to be a very easy and quick fix. Although I was happy with the service and the friendly, polite manner of the technician, the (supposedly discounted) price was absolutely outrageous for the work that was done. When I questioned it, I was told that it was a flat rate. If I had paid $250 an hour, it STILL would have been cheaper than what I was charged. Be warned!!!

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: Oct. 31, 2022

I used the service to unclog a drain that took about 30 min. I could not believe when they charged me $500 to unclog a drain. My local plumber previously charged me for the same job $80. Never ever again, always go with your local plumber!

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: Oct. 28, 2022

I called Roto-Rooter as my sump pump pipe was disconnected and my husband was busy working. I asked them their hourly rate and was told they don’t have it but I have to pay $99 for a tech to come out to give me an estimate. (Liar, as the tech wrote up an hourly rate of $472 labor on the estimate.) It was the only company I could find for the same day service and I thought it was a simple job (the in-line check valve was broken), any plumber can do in a few minutes. The tech Scott showed up on time but he had no knowledge of what was going on. I knew it as he commented our professionally installed Radon mitigation system was installed incorrectly and that he would have to take apart the whole sump pump and it would be 2-3 hours of work at $472 per hour.

My husband asked him specifically if he thought it was just a broken valve and Scott replied no. We didn’t hire Scott as he had no clue that it was a simple problem and he wanted to take apart my whole sump pump. We paid him $99 and sent him off. My husband replaced the inline check valve for $10 at Home Depot the same day. Our sump pump is now working without a problem. If I knew their rate is $472 per hour, I would have never set this appointment up. They were not honest about their pricing over the phone and trick customers to pay their $99 appointment fees. Also they sent me an incompetent tech. I feel like it was all a scam! A licensed plumber hourly rate is $150-$200 in my area. Roto-Rooter is totally overpriced. Do not use Roto-Rooter!

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: Oct. 23, 2022

Brandon called and stated that they had a lot of work to do. "Ok", Brandon at 930am. Say around 1pm I called back. "Hey brandon, I got a lot of "**" coming out my toilets and tubes." Brandon state, "first of all mam I have my speaker on and my family are in the car with me so I wish you would not curse." "Brandon I did not know your family was in the car and you should not have them at work anyways." Brandon felt like it was more important to let me know that he is "general manager" and that no work can get done without him. So I hung up. Dial the 1 800 number. Brandon called back professionally but I am still sitting here with ** popping put my toilet and tubes. No service.

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: Oct. 18, 2022

FIRST OF Dylan, the service tech deserves 5 star rating. Unfortunately the company Roto-Rooter zero! I had a drain clog behind my washing machine, Dylan snaked it out (about 20 feet) in less than 1/2hr. Charged me $340.00 and that included a 75.00 coupon. I'm 68 years old and asked if they gave a senior discount, well of course not. Will NEVER recommend roto rooter to any of my friends. $340.00 for less than 1/2 hrs work is ROBBERY!!!!

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: Oct. 14, 2022

Tech came gave me 450.00 estimate. Told me would snake drain 6 month guarantee. Bathroom sink had taken trap off. 'I used plastic snake. Did not remove blockage." Plumber time about 10 min. "I did not have right tools." Beware. Know something about job before you call for help.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2022

Contacted Roto-Rooter in Williamsburg, VA in order to snake a drain. Online booking for 11am on Tuesday, Instead, he no-shows. I get a call that the earliest would be 8-11am Wednesday and it would cost 450. Ok. 11am no one. 2 pm no one. Finally 4:30 shows up. NOW the price is 650, not 450. 36+ hours wasted on an inaccurate and scam quote. Never, ever again.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2022

I called Roter Rooter because I had a leak coming from my shower into my kitchen and living room. The showed up the following morning which was on a weekend so I was very pleased. The tech looked at everything and said it would be $600 to find and repair the leak. If anything changes he would let me know. He first of all dug a hole in my living room/kitchen above the door and could anything. He then said he would take the toilet off and see if he could find the leak from the toilet. He couldn't. We then asked him if he could find the leak he said, "Yes but I am not supposed to dig up drywall. If you can locate the leak yourselves I can fix it." I should have known at this point this was in bad taste and had him leave but I was hoping he actually honest about wanting to fix the leak.

After him pointing for us to make 2 holes for him. He got up on a step stool barely looked in (there was insulation and other things and you couldn't even see the pipes at this point unless you took out the installation) The tech then claimed everything was dry and we would have to have someone come back out. He then opened up his clip board and gave us a $600 bill. I asked him, "What was the $600 for since you weren't able to complete the service." He said he unclogged or cleared the line. Ok never at anytime was this in the quote he mentioned. The service call was to stop a leak in our shower. He said we had to sign the paperwork or he could not go on to his next call and made my elderly dad feel bad for him and he went ahead and told me to sign. I know just a few min into the visit he knew he wasn't going to fix the leak yet proceeded to do unnecessary work to get paid. This is a shady practice.

Reaching out to customer service was no better. He said a service was performed whether we needed or not and we would not be compensated. Please if you do use this company get all estimates in detailed writing before they start work so you don't end up like this out of $630 for a service not wanted or needed. On a positive note use Eco Plumbers if you have a harder plumbing job. They have been awesome and do about everything.

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: Sept. 25, 2022

I wish I had read these reviews before contacting this company. My kitchen sink was completely stopped and was not draining. I called for service and was given an arrival time for the technician. My first red flag was they would not quote an approximate price over the phone. Before the technician arrived I cleared the under-sink cabinets, and removed the paneling on the back side of e cabinets so he could see the pipe configuration.

When he arrived and looked at the situation, he quoted me a price of $430. I did not question it because I needed it fixed. He cleaned the stoppage which took 25 minutes. When he finished he noticed that my sink strainer was cracked. I asked for a quote to replace it, he said $450. I said, "No, I will fix it myself" which I did that day at a cost of $19 for the part and 30 minutes of my time. My final bill was $523.79 which included a bottle of enzyme drain treatment. I know I should have negotiated the price since for 44 years I’ve been a licensed General Contractor. As a footnote notice, all bad reviews are responded to by the same person nationwide, Pat **.

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: Sept. 12, 2022

I placed a service call to unclog the bathroom pipe. First technician named Max came in and informed me that the pipe is clogged and he needs to open the toilet to fix it. After trying to open the toilet for 30 minutes he informed me that he does not have the right tools and skills to open the toilet and a more experienced technician will come to fix it. 2nd technician named John came and informed me there was no need to open the toilet and Max should have fixed it through the tub drain. I asked for lower fee as now the work is less and no need for toilet disassembly but he said that I have already signed the paperwork and no I have to pay for $550 just to put a rod in the pipe. I agreed as I did not have a choice and I needed the bathroom to be fixed. John informed me that everything is good and I paid the service fee. Next day I noticed the water drips from the roof.

John again came in and cut the roof in couple of places and informed me that the toilet is leaking. John said that he needs his manager approval to perform the repair free of charge and I need to call them on Monday. On Monday I called again and explained the situation and I was told that the work is covered under the previous contract and the technician should not charge any money. Technician came after 2 hours and started asking for $520 to fix the leak. After several calls to the customer support and the corporate, they refused to fix the leakage unless I pay $450. This is simple fraud. You come to somebody house, cause a leakage, and refuse to repair it. I am left with water damage, roof damage, and now I am working another company to fix the leakage that was cause by unskilled technician. Worst company to work with. Don't recommend anybody to use it.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2022

I made the initial called and explained exactly what the problem was. I was told That as soon as a technician was available, I would be contacted. I was contacted within 2 hours and was asked would I like the technician to come on out and I said yes. Technician arrived and was very nice and polite. I explained to him exactly what the I thought the problem was and without any evaluation he quoted me a price of $310.00. I said, "WOW!" Just to unclog one drain under the kitchen sink. I then asked did they at least offer a senior or military discount. He replied no and again I respond "Wow."

He then asked me to remove some items underneath the sink and I'm thinking for the amount you are charging you should move them but went ahead and removed them. He then went to his truck to get his drain machine. Approximately 20 minutes later he was done, and everything was functionally properly. Good work. Good job but $310.00 for a 20 minute rather easy job is ridiculous. My first and last time calling them.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2022

We had a technician come out to clear a drain on Thursday, Sep 1, he came out and spent about an hour and ran a regular snake through the pipe, told us that it might have to be ran from the top of the house down to clear the clog he left and charged $160. I called another company on Friday. They came out tried to snake it with a regular snake for about 10-15 minutes and then they used an air snake which I was unaware of until they pulled it on out cranked it up to 40 psi hit the trigger cleared the clog right away.

I was just concerned about the charge for the 160 because they did nothing, now I did sign the contract. But I was amazed that the technician did not know about an air snake and it could’ve been done very easily. I contacted the customer service at the local Roto-Rooter. Todd was the customer service rep, he said that there’s nothing that he can do because I signed the contract, but they didn’t clear the drain. And the other company did it in 30 minutes. I’m very disappointed in Roto Rooter and will never use them again.

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: Sept. 5, 2022

I have a 99 year old mother in my home who needs to use the powder room during the day. The toilet runs after flushing and the flap didn't close. I was worried to fix it myself and it was Labor Day. Fortunately, a technician came and looked at the toilet. He said that it needed a flap but suggested he replace the other inside parts ($445.00). I was shocked! He said that wasn't a holiday rate and that's what he costs. I told him that I would not get it fixed through Roto Rooter. He replaced only the flap (it took 5 minutes) and it cost $225.00!!! I had no problems with the technician, but it looked like I could negotiate the price. The flap was $25.00 and I am sure, had I trusted myself, I could have saved a lot of money. I suggest looking into other venues before Roto Rooter!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2022

A leak, a help person to work, a person to see, actually a person to do an hour, half an hour to buy things and an hour to wait for the result, a total of two and a half hours, a person to work, charge two people two and a half hours of time. Just It's leaking because the old people didn't put glue in the pipes, cost $392.99,Charge by time, when I came to say that it might take 4 hours, about 500, the result is less than 2 and a half hours to charge faster 400.

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: Aug. 31, 2022

I am writing this review to warn others on the deceptive and highly illegal practices that Roto-Rooter is engaging in. I own a preschool and needed repairs to our septic tank pumps. We called Roto-Rooter to fix it. The rep did NOT fill out the costs/pricing on the invoice when he asked my husband to sign it. He told my husband that he had to sign in order for them to do the work and would add in what it cost later. The rep told my husband that it would add up to about $8,000 and he told the same thing to my Director.

He didn't even write our business name correctly on the invoice. We needed the repair done quickly because we had several bathrooms not working. Did they fix the problem overnight? Yes. Did they do a good job? No...they used an EXTENSION CORD to power the pumps (and other details I won't go into) which kept tripping the breaker because of the water involved in such a repair. They didn't even try to fix the wiring. How much did they charge? $12,300 for 10 hours of work. They replaced two pumps, which cost about $2,000, so the rest was labor.

We were forced to hire a septic company to replace all of their work to the tune of $9,000 because it was so substandard. I complained to their billing department and management and they only took 20% off of the bill even after learning all of this. They asked for the estimate and paid invoice of the other septic company that had to fix everything they did, but I don't know if they even called to find out how poorly their plumbers did on our job.

I have worked with a lot of service providers over 16 years of business ownership. I have bought and rehabbed three business properties and I have never had the predatory experience that Roto-Rooter gave us. I can't stand businesses who operate this way and so badly take advantage of their unsuspecting customers. I am telling you all this in the hopes that this doesn't happen to someone else. And lesson learned the hard way...even when you are desperate, don't sign anything until they fill out the pricing and then take a picture.

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: Aug. 29, 2022

I had a fill valve replaced in my toilet. Technician came the same day and did a fine job, but was way overcharged. $400 labor charge for a 45 min job. I called the office and they said pricing is based on the job, not an hourly rate. I won't be using this company again

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: Aug. 28, 2022

My water heater was making a booming sound about 6 times before roaring really loudly after running the shower. The sound was scary so I called Rotor-Rooter who said someone could come out the next day to take a look. Rotor-rooter sent 3 technicians out for a 1-2 person job. They ran the hot water in the sink for a bit and couldn't recreate the problem so I turned on the shower until we heard the first boom. They explained that fire was shooting out of the water heater so they immediately shut off the gas stating it was dangerous and could blow at any moment so I'd need a new water heater. I asked how much does that usually cost. They quoted me 4k to replace.

Being a mother of 3 young kids I didn’t have time to shop around for quotes and I couldn’t go without hot water so I agreed. They began draining the old water heater and after 20 minutes 2 of the technicians took off for an hour to go get the new water heater. I went to see what the remaining technician was doing and he was just sitting around on his phone. After returning with the new water heater they had the old one removed and the new one running after about an hour telling me they'd be back with an invoice for payment.

After being outside for approx 30 min 2 finally returned with the invoice. They charged 1861.16 minus a $200 coupon for parts and 1995 for labor. When I asked what's the hourly rate for labor the lead tech replied that they gave me a flat rate regardless of the hrs worked because I agreed to pay 4k and then refused to tell me what their hourly rate was. The tech was only focused on me signing paperwork he claimed should have been signed before they performed the work. The other tech went on to say that they got me the best 50 gal tank available because I had a 50 gal tank before but he also didn't know why I had a tank that big for the size of my condo, they were just replacing what I had. As a professional he should of explained to me that I had options.

I've called around to get some quotes from other contractors and I was quoted 1800-2300 for the installation of a new water heater (parts plus labor). And after an internet search I found out that rotor-rooter is paid commission. I also looked up the price for the new replacement water heater installed (Rheem XG50T12HN38U2) online and they only cost $979. I believe I was a victim of price gouging and that I was preyed on in an emergency situation because I am a woman.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2022

I just want to let everyone this is my first review and I had never done this before because in the past experience I had they had done the right for me as a customer. I had a back up in my house in the basement, I call Roto Rooter and they were here on a Sunday within a 2 hours, he said the price will be over $449 to do the job and after Josh try to fix it it not work, so he mentioned that he needs to go in another way used a bigger machine but the cost will go up more. I did not understand why it would change but I agree to $659.

So used one of the toilet's line he removed it and used is 3 blade on a 3 inch pipe, after 5 min the drain started draining and after a few min the tech mentioned that the blade broke in and he said he hope it broke in the city line. He mentioned he will do a free camera and hope the blade was not stock in our main line. He said it would next day or a couple days. So it was confirmed the tech will be in the next day, So that did not happen the tech said he was working until 5 pm.

So it took 3 days to get it done.

After he used a camera, the blade was stuck with 20 feet from the main entrance of the camera so in the middle of our basement. After looking at all that he said he call their manager and he said two options, one we can used another snake to removed their blade, they give a price and if it won’t work I will be responsible for the second opinion. It was 5800 to removed a 2 feet extraction. So that means I will be responsible for over 8k for a just simple clean up. My insurance won’t not cover and after a week talking to their manager and area manager won’t take any responsibility for their job. I just want to make sure if they give you 2 options they will charge for both.

I call another company for a second opinion week talking to them. So here is what I found out, first if you are going used a 3 pipe star with a small blade just with all the turns but they said they used the blade base on where they are going. Second we had a free camera review and they recommend 2 options, one is to used a jet option because they don’t think the blade is stuck in the pipe. The second opinion was to remove it by excavate 10 feet, just a reminder roto rooter recommend 2 feet. The cost to remove the blade was a lot less with the excavate, but the 2 different companies are roto rooter will charge you for both options. I know for fact because I had talk to their area manager and Done plumbing was very clear if the first option did not work it will cost me a lot less even with their discount they try to give me. If you can avoid roto rooter do it, I would recommend 100 done Plumbing.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2022

We dealt with some major miscommunication from the Chattanooga office. They do not relay information to their technicians. My husband was told that I "should have used common sense" to figure out what was taking place. I find that an extremely disrespectful way to speak to anyone, let alone a costumer. I am not a plumber, do not claim to be in that profession, so I would expect the professionals to explain what will be taking place and what the charges will be. I hate that this situation happened because our technician was really good and did great work. So my word of warning is to make sure you use precise language when speaking to the office and make sure they include the technician doing the work on all your communications.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2022

Roto-Rooter came to my house for water damage remediation. Not only are these services overpriced (ex: they charged over $35 to move a range 6 inches out and didn't unplug anything and they removed all my kitchen flooring which I later found out it was completely unnecessary. Charging a total of over $3,500) but most importantly, they put me and my family in a compromising situation with no regards to our health by not following proper procedures! When they started to remove the floor planks in the kitchen, one of the techs found green vinyl tile. He immediately stopped and said because the age of my home (1960s, I recently bought the house) they needed to first test for Asbestos because they were not qualified to handle contaminated materials. He called the project manager over, who shortly came by to collect the samples. The PM got his samples then had a brief conversation with one of the techs.

Before I knew it, they were forcefully removing ALL of my flooring which confused me since one of the guys just said they had to take samples first to make sure they were in the clear to proceed. Unfortunately, I trusted these people and didn't speak up when it didn't feel right. After they removed ALL of the flooring that day, samples still in hand, they brought in their dehumidifiers and left for the day. 5 days later the results came in from the samples they submitted and it came back positive for asbestos! That same day, one of the techs called me (he wasn't aware the results were in) and when I told him the results came back positive he said, "Oh...well that changes everything..." but didn't elaborate. He then told me I should give Andrew (the Project Manager) a call. He dodged my call and didn't respond to my voicemail (the results were also sent to him via email by the company who tested it).

They came to pick up their equipment the next day but avoided my questions. I have been exposed to asbestos now with no choice but to walk on the contaminated floor daily. Based on the contract I signed, it states they can be held liable for this. This company has no integrity. They do not care about their customers—only getting the job done and receiving compensation for it.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2022

I had a running toilet and called Roto Rooter to come fix what I believed was to be a $10 toilet flapper. I told the call center I have a Kohler toilet and to please make sure one is in the truck. I asked if they could give me a quote and they said they could not but I would be charged $99 for them to just drive to my condo for the appointment. They called that morning at 8am and said they would be there in 45 minutes. After an hour I called and they said the technician didn't tell them he had to go pick up another tech to perform the job with him so he would get there by 10:15.

Once he arrived, he assessed the issue and said I need a new toilet flapper which I know is a ten minute job and a $10 part. He quoted me $390 plus parts - that is the cost of a brand new kohler toilet! Seriously? I can actually buy a new one for less money! He would then need to go out to purchase the flapper because he did not have one in his truck. When I called to escalate this exorbitant amount to a manager he blamed it on gas prices and the cost of labor and parts - also, they have had break-ins in their trucks so they no longer carry parts in them!

I am extremely disappointed with this company and would not recommend them to ANYone who needs a quick toilet fix. I sent the technician home - I honestly feel bad for him that he has to tell customers these prices - cannot imagine how much time they waste going to homes, giving quotes, and are being sent home because anyone who doesn't throw away their money would not spend a crazy amount of money on something so simple. $200 maybe, but $400??? Outrageous.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2022

I needed emergency repair service to replace an external hose bib on a Sunday morning. After providing my contact info to their call service, I was contacted by my plumber/tech, Alan. He quoted me $435.00 according to book time. I advised that his quote sounded a bit steep and that I would keep looking for another plumber, as a quick internet search revealed that the average emergency weekend plumber services in my area would $80 - $125/hr. I called Alan back and said I needed him to come do the repair. I was prepared to pay the quoted $435 based on their book time (not knowing that they had no intention of changing my price if it took them less time).

Alan showed up at about the time he said and he called in advance to let me know he was on his way. I appreciated Alan's service throughout the ordeal. Alan arrived and quickly began working. To my surprise, in under 25 minutes, Alan was done. He said that I got lucky and he didn't have to sweat the pipe or anything as it was a screw in pipe. He then presented me with the invoice for the full $435.00, saying all he can do is charge book time. I was flabbergasted and disappointed, but I was going to have to sign the invoice anyway. It was then that I noticed Alan had filled out a part of the invoice as to when he arrived and when he completed the job. These times were a complete fabrication. Perhaps he gets paid by the hour from Roto-Rooter which led to this inflated time. In reality he arrived at 10:01 AM (EST) and was finished with the job at 10:23 before going to his vehicle to complete the invoice.

Alan said the times provided were just an estimation...Well, he was obviously fudging the time as he filled it out to say that he arrived at 10:30 and was leaving at Noon (this was at about 10:25). I find it interesting that the arrival and completion times do not get copied onto the customer's copy of the invoice. Alan #125 got me and so did Roto-Rooter. Personally, I will never use their services again in any capacity. I still have to fix the hole in my exterior wall, which I understand plumbers do not fix themselves.

Overall, it was a poor experience due to the shady tactics. I bet if Alan had to spend MORE than the 3 hours "book time" instead of 20-25 minutes, there would have been an additional charge. Anyway, from now on, I will be using local professionals who work for themselves, not companies who may or may not be complicit in the overcharge culture. Good luck to you, Alan, and Roto-Rooter. I am giving 2 stars because the repair allowed me to turn my water main back on, and 1 day in, I do not see any leaks.

Roto-Rooter Company Information