Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.17/5

Roto-Rooter Reviews

Original review: April 23, 2020

If you use this company and pay their prices you are INSANE.. Call a local plumber for much much cheaper.. If you think it costs 5 to 6 hundred to snake a main line you're being robbed. Commission based.

Original review: April 15, 2020

I called Roto-Rooter because I had a backup when I flushed my toilet it came through my bathtub. They arrived promptly and did the work to clear my drain but the issue that I have is roots in my pipe. The technician was unsure why there wasn't anything on the auger once he pulled it out, but the drain was open. The next day another technician came out and ran a camera and that is when I found out there were roots in my sewer line. I asked why the roots didn't come out when they were clearing the line, the response I was given was "They were here to clear the line and the line is clear", yet the issue is still there. I have paid a lot less in the past to have my line cleared and the roots were removed. Very disappointed that a company that has been around for so long only requires the bare minimal to be done, instead of removing the roots which caused the problem!

Original review: April 1, 2020

I called for my Mom. Main sewer line charging $500 where other companies charge $100 to $200. DO NOT USE THEM. After speaking to manager he was abusive and condescending and didn’t care about senior citizens.

Original review: March 26, 2020

My elderly mother (age 86) is being charged $1500 for labor at her home zip code 78225 which was not addressed until she received a bill in the mail!! She has already paid close to $400 for the work. Roto-Rooter assumed the insurance was going to pay for this work! It was declined and now the are going to put a lien on her home! This is outrageous!!! We are going to get a lawyer!!

Original review: March 12, 2020

I called for a Kitchen sink clog. I asked what the price would be and they stated they could not tell me and that only a technician could estimate that. They said there would be a $149 trip charge that would be deducted if I had the work done. When the technician arrived he immediately wrote up an estimate. $655 to unclog it. I told him he was nuts. He told me this rate was set by Roto Rooter corporate and he had no control over it. He than showed me his price sheet for each specific job. If he has this sheet so should the guy on the phone. When you have already agreed to a trip charge of $149 you are just being held hostage for the work. Tech was at my home for 70 minutes. He did clear the drain but it was not a fair way to conduct business.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Roto-Rooter?

Original review: March 10, 2020

I call Roto Rooter for a backed up sewer line going to the street at a house that I rent to tenants. When I called I asked for an approximate cost to clean the line. I was told that they could not give that information over the phone. I asked again for a worst case scenario. Again they said they could not provide any pricing over the phone. They said I would have to wait for the technician to give me any pricing to clear the sewer line. When the technician came he pulled out a fixed cost sheet and informed me it would be $919.00. That was three times what a normal plumber charges to clear a sewer line less than 100 feet to the street’s main city sewer line. That is a ROTO RIPOFF.

Original review: March 6, 2020

The toilet bowls at our home weren't flowing well so my wife reached out to RR. The plumber (who was courteous and nice) used the auger and left after being paid. However after he left we noticed that all the toilets had black marks which we realized were scratch marks on the surface of the bowl. Thereafter, within two days, the flow started getting blocked again.

When my wife reached out to give feedback, it took 3 weeks from the corporate office to reach the franchise office. And then also it required multiple reminders to get them to contact me. If that was not enough the behavior and the attitude of the lady (I don't want to name her) called from Roto-Rooter Allentown, PA franchise and was absolutely impolite, discourteous and downright haughty and unfriendly. Her attitude was like she was being bothered by my email followup. Her primary intent was to tell me that her plumber said the marks were there earlier.

This was bizarre as the the plumber did not point out the marks to my wife (coz they were never there) at the time of service. This lady rudely told me that it was over from their side and my wife could do whatever she wanted. When reminded about the water flow problem in the toilet, she said she would see but we have never heard back from her. Her intent throughout was to negate whatever my wife had to say, in a very condescending manner and just wanted to hang up.

As a client I just want to move on with this bad experience but want to warn people to use Roto-Rooter at their own risk because Roto-Rooter Corporate washes their hands off saying they cannot do anything with a franchise - which means that there is no ownership even though they are lending their name. For me, quality service is as important as the attitude and Roto-Rooter failed big time on both.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

After the fact, much to my regret, I found other drain cleaning services that do a lot more for a lot less. I definitely have a severe case of Buyer’s Remorse! I paid $226 to have a slow (not plugged) shower drain cleaned which took five minutes, if that. Beware of drain cleaning guys who work on commission!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

Please note, the service that was provided was good. I feel a bit ignorant admitting fault on this but still wanted to put this review out on the customer experience I had. The plumber was great, professional and friendly, but I had water damage and he recommended the cleanup crew. The water damage consultant introduced himself as a manager. He repeatedly said he sees this all the time and my homeowners insurance will, not may, WILL cover the cost of clean up and then he explained why. At the end of our conversation he pulled up a tablet with a signature line saying, "Please sign that I was here and took pictures," and this will all be submitted to my insurance company.

He asked me to start the claim as he was taking pictures. And that was all. Shame on me for not asking the question -- what if my insurance doesn’t cover it? It was $3000!!! I was shocked!!! I didn’t see any paperwork prior to the service provided that that was the cost. I thought maybe $800. WOW. Never again will I use Roto-Rooter as I just feel ripped up.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2020

My home developed a water hammer problem. I called several plumbers but Roto-Rooter was able to come out the next day so I went with them. The technician came to my home while I was at work so my wife had to handle it. He replace two RPVs and put in a little relief tank. Parts were approximately $273. Here is where it becomes outrageous - he charged me $417/hr for labor. My wife had thought he said it would be $417 for the whole job - not $834. A complete rip off.

Roto-Rooter Company Information