Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.29/5

Need help with a bathroom project?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Get Started

Unsubscribe at any time.

Need help with a bathroom project?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Get Started

Roto-Rooter Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Roto-Rooter?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Roto-Rooter?

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

Suspicious, Scam, Deceiving Prices & Service. They are the biggest plumbing company in US & Canada and they use this to charge Outrageous estimates. Do NOT consider Roto-Rooter. You will be wasting time, stress and money. Roto will charge the most they can for a job if they think they can get away with it. And for me, they did. I have a decent income, own my own business and would never complain about a few dollars. But we know scam and deception when we see one. These people were suspicious from the start. Mike W the manager does nothing to give customers satisfaction, and justice.

There was a Class Action Lawsuit against Roto Rooter back in the 2000s because this company consistently charged Americans for parts they could not explain. Now they are doing the same thing, except for service. Their excuse: If you signed the contract, you agree and have to pay that amount. You agreed to it. Even when they cannot explain what the charge was for. Roto, this is why I will never recommend you guys: you charge whatever you want for service and do not have an itemized way to charge customers. You guys charged me $440 for 30 minutes of labor and a part that cost less than $70. Being young and a minority, you guys took advantage and cheated us using this opportunity.

Technician Bobby charged us $440 dollars to simply replace an Old pressure reducing valve that took no more than 30 min, parts and fees/parts being less than $100. That means we were charged over $300 for 30 min labor. Bobby also lied in our faces when he told us we were charged $150/hour since the moment he arrived to when he left was 2 hours, he used this as his excuse..which was a complete lie, Roto does not charge by the Hour rates! There were No itemization on receipts, no explanation from Bobby the technician on how he pulled out his number. And no explanation from Mike the manager. This was with Roto Rooter Greensboro NC.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2020

Beginning of the year, there was an overflow. Roto Rooter came out and unclogged the pipe after they did a VIDEO. "WE NEVER RECEIVED ANY VIDEO THAT THEY SAID THEY DID". They told us that they clean-up the area after the work is done. When the work was finished, they left the mess of the Overflow and when we asked when they would clean it up, they said, "Oh we don't do that"....

At this point, we had to do something, after he charged us $380 for the job. The man said he would call someone out, who we thought was part of the the company in some way...They put us in a position where we were forced to have this mess cleaned up. The man asked us for $1200 to begin with....We ended up paying him $900 because he would not do it for less and the house we were renting had to be cleaned-up immediately.

This message is for everyone to know is that this company are liars and they leave you with a situation that you are stuck with and no one to talk to about their misrepresenting what they do....They just lie to get work! 2 weeks later we received a call from the plumber himself telling us that in order to do the final repair of the job it would cost us $13,000. Can you believe this? People be aware of them....

Original review: July 27, 2020

I had a leak in my garage. They came, quoted me $337, for a job that took 5min to fix... They ripped me off.. Never using this company again. $337 for 5 minutes of work... Wow.... All I had was a small like in one of the pipes...

Original review: July 21, 2020

Most incapable technician I've seen in a while... The technician didn't even know how to do the most basics - couldn't find the main pipes of our drain - which every human being without technical background should be able to see with their eyes. Then they'd quote you a way-above-market price (2x) for a simple 'diagnostic' session. That's not even the 'fixing', only the 'diagnostic'. Lol.

The one star was for their customer service and dispatch teams, which tried to work hard to cover for the mess their technicians made. It wasn't easy for them. They did not understand that for a plumbing company like this, technical capability was the core to their long term success if they even cared to stay in business. However, Roto-Rooter was the one company that failed to understand what mattered to their company and their industry. Train your technicians to FIX problems not to create more.

Original review: July 20, 2020

This is by far the worst place I have ever dealt with. I had called to ask if someone was available for a same day appointment because my son had flushed a shampoo bottle down the toilet and it got stuck in out pipes. I was assured it was something they could deal with that and and therefore called off of work to wait for them to come out.

I waited two hours past the promised appointment slot before calling to find out what was going on. I was told the person was caught up on another job and we may need to reschedule! When I said that that was no possible because I had to work the rest of the week and had already called off that day because they said they could get someone out to me. Finally the man named Scott called back an hour later to tell me the technician could not come out and we would have to reschedule I was livid. I made an appointment for Sunday and was assured I would be the first customer serviced.

The next day I called to speak with the supervisor over what I believe is totally unprofessional behavior. After waiting 20 mins for someone to answer the phone I had to hang up and get to work. I then throughout the day revived several calls from the supervisor named Victoria informing me someone was in my area and wanted to know if he could come out and work. Since I am at work right am not able to take her calls. I called when I got off and was told the supervisor had went home for the day.

On Sunday, the day of the reschedule appointment I waited another two hours before calling to find out what was going on! It was then that I learned that my appointment had been canceled. The supervisor named Victoria cancelled my appointment. This place is full of incompetent people, why on earth would you cancel and appointment without confirmation from the client? Is this how you treat essential workers during the time of a global pandemic? Not everyone gets to sit at home making phones calls some of us have to go out to work. Unacceptable.

Original review: July 11, 2020

I own a rental property in Oxford PA which developed a slow draining toilet. I went to the house to try to unblock the toilet but couldn't fix it. However, I noticed that the downstairs toilet was working fine which made me think that either the toilet was blocked or there was a some blockage further down the drain. I mentioned it to the 1st plumber I contacted who was unable to fix the problem due to a lack of proper tools. He still charged me $153.50 and recommended that I contact Roto-Rooter and I did, which was a mistake. Although I mentioned (over the phone as I couldn't go to house at that point) to the Roto-Rooter technician that it is very likely a blockage between the two toilets he wasted 2 hours cleaning the water ports around the seat of the toilet pretending that the toilet wasn't flushing hard enough. Of course, that didn't help.

Over the phone, he suggested that we change the toilet for the extravagant cost of $600. Knowing that I can buy a toilet for $150 and change it in 1/2 hour I declined that ridiculous solution. On top of that, I knew that it wasn't the toilet. Roto-Rooter still charged me $245 for that visit and I still had a blocked drain. So, I contacted another company specializing in drainage solutions. They came all the way from Havre de Grace, MD, diagnosed the problem with a camera and fix it by running a heavy-duty auger all the way down past the downstairs toilet. That cost me another $385 but the problem is now fixed.

Had I listened to Roto-Rooter, I would have changed the toilet for $600 (after the 1st visit of $245) which wouldn't have solved the problem, and then they would have had to come back to run the auger for $690 (yes, that's what I was quoted). This is typical of these contractors' franchises who are pushing sales as much as possible. I would recommend staying away for doing any business with them.

Original review: July 2, 2020

They installed shower and faucet in bathtub in 2019 at the end of the year. We have a receipt with marked one year warranty. They put their part in. We paid around little above $ 500.00 with taxes included. Now shower pin came out. They came and wanted to charge us for that $ 280.00. They told us their warranty is 6 months. Receipt is marked one with a pen one year warranty. We complained. They said OK and sent another technician who estimated higher price. We complained again. We talked to Bernard manager. He said he will look into it. He never responded. We got angry.

Called customer service representative to complain to higher ups. She said we can't talk to him she will send him an email and he will call us. He never called. We hired someone else for $ 150.00. They set prices as they please as to whom. The appeal is in vain because no one hears you. You are just one unimportant person to them. Do not look at their rating. It is a big scam and trap for you. Giving them one star is not fair.

Original review: June 22, 2020

Made app. on Fri. for Sat.12-4. They were a no call no show. They called Monday. Asked if I still wanted their service. No way. Stay away from this co. Their ad states that weekend price is the same as weekday. I guess thats because they just dont come out. They tried to say a glitch in the system, just more lies.

Original review: June 15, 2020

Called the company to fix a leak under our kitchen sink. I was at work, my 81 yr old mom was home. The plumber replaced a pipe underneath, but the second you turn on the faucet water runs out from the base. Called the next day was told the plumber had a big job and could not come back until Monday. Then it became Tuesday. Underneath our sink is water. So what did he fix. Also the plumber seemed like he had an attitude. I can honestly say this was the worst Service we’ve ever had and we lived in this home for 15 years. Even when I informed the customer rep I needed my kitchen sink for my home business nothing. This was a disgusting service. Once it is fixed I never want this company in my home.

Original review: June 15, 2020

If you don't want to read a long review about how awful this company is, please take away this key point: DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. Period. My fiancé's and my basement had some kind of water leak late one night which resulted in puddles of water that eventually seeped under parts the laminate flooring. We called Roto-Rooter specifically to remove the water from under the flooring, no other reason. They gave us a quote for $4025-$6775 depending on the work that was actually done. Nowhere on the quote did it say the scope of the work that would be done.

This quote is the only document my fiancé signed from this company. So they get to work "extracting water," ripping up our flooring, and setting up their drying equipment that they said would only be left at our house for 3 days. During all this work, my fiancé told one of the techs that insurance would be helping out, and the tech responded by saying "Oh this is about to go WAY up." After 5 days of not hearing from or seeing anybody from the company, we called to ask them to remove their equipment from our house. After the equipment was FINALLY removed, we called to get an exact amount owed so that we could get our finances in order. The guy on the phone told us it would be over $13,000. DOUBLE the high end of the initial quote.

When I called to question this, they said that somebody had been by our house every day to check on the equipment (lie) and that they had our initials on documents stating each time a tech came to check on it (also lie). They also said that the extra cost was for them ripping up our flooring (which they didn't even complete) because they weren't aware at the beginning that water was under the floor (LIE because that was the ONLY reason we called them). Whenever they found out we have cameras around our entire property, they backtracked.

They brought over all of the documents from the project, including an itemized invoice for about $10,500, BUT the tech who brought the documents to our house said they would be willing to honor the high end of the original quote ($6775). We thanked him for the documents and got to work going through every last one of them. What we found was 1. On the invoice for $10,500 they were trying to charge us for things that they had never done (things that we have photo and video evidence they had never done).

2. They had documents with 36 different time stamps on different dates that a tech allegedly came to our house to check the equipment and documented various pieces of data regarding the equipment and the job itself (only 7 of those timestamps were accurate, and that was only because they were the times they were setting up equipment - we have video evidence they weren't at our house during any of the other 29 timestamps they have), and most importantly 3. THEY FORGED MY FIANCÉ'S SIGNATURE AND INITIALS ON ALL DOCUMENTS RELATED TO THE JOB, including a direct payment authorization saying our insurance company should pay them directly (didn't happen thank goodness), the work order to start the project, and literally every single document they had for the job besides the original quote.

Neither of us had seen any of these documents prior to work being started or at any point during the project UNTIL the tech brought them to our house AFTER they got all of the equipment out. The best part of all is that my fiancé's name starts with an R, but they forged all the signatures and initials starting with a W because they apparently misheard my fiancé's name when he told it to them on the first day. When we confronted them about the forgery, they said "we aren't allowed to do that." Yeah no duh you aren't allowed to do something that is ILLEGAL. That doesn't change the fact that it happened.

They also said "everyone knows when you Docu-Sign it looks different from your regular signature." Yeah that may be the case but 1. Nobody from their company presented their iPad/tablet/whatever we were supposed to docu-sign these documents on to either of us and 2. THEY SIGNED THE WRONG NAME AND WRONG INITIALS EVERY TIME. They also said "well we emailed all of these documents to you so you had them the whole time." Yeah no they sent them all to a WRONG email address belonging to neither of us and not even close to either of our email addresses.

If we had read reviews on this company beforehand we would have never gone with them for this project. Unfortunately, it was an emergency so we did not have time to wait around. This ended up costing way more than it should have and they lied to us SO many times even after we had all the evidence against them and knew they were lying and told them we knew they were lying. Never ever use Roto-Rooter for anything. You won't regret taking my advice.

Roto-Rooter Company Information