Find an Online Bathroom Fixtures and Plumbing partner

Help me decide

3.6/5 (618 ratings)
Find an Online Bathroom Fixtures and Plumbing partner
Banner image

Need help with a bathroom project?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About Roto-Rooter

Banner image

Need help with a bathroom project?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Roto-Rooter Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Roto-Rooter?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Roto-Rooter?

Original review: June 7, 2021

This company is so unethical! They are not looking to fix your plumbing problems. They inflate pricing, have the worst business practices, and Service. Charged $450 to snake a line 50 feet and never put toilet back on. Initial call was for jetting lines in house due to over flowing toilet and sinks draining slowly. They also never showed up on time... They were 3 hours late. I immediately called to get someone back to attach toilet and the next day no one showed up. Still waiting days later. Don’t use this company! They are crooks and stand behind nothing.

Roto-Rooter response

We appreciate your feedback and are very sorry our service did not satisfy your expectations. Please email me your full-service address, including the zip code, so that I can look into this issue as soon as possible. My email is Pat.Swanson@rrsc.com. Please also include a copy of this review.

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: June 2, 2021

PLEASE BE AWARE!! DO NOT USE ROTO ROOTER!! THEY ARE SCAMMING HOMEOWNERS!! My son and his fiancé just purchased their first home on Thursday, they noticed the utility sink in the basement was backing up which seemed to look like brown paper towels or cardboard when they would flush the toilets on Saturday, we called Roto Rooter to come out because we assumed the lines were clogged from the material. Roto Rooter advised it would cost $689.00 to snake the line, if they could not get the line unclogged it would be a charge of $200.00. This includes a camera to look at the pipe to make sure nothing else was damaged. The gentleman gave me a discount and charged $500.00 to snake the line, He was able to unclog the pipe.

HERE IS WHERE THE SCAM BEGINS!! The Camera Man “Doug” arrives to use the camera. Immediately on arrival he says to my son, "OH you just bought this house." He forces the camera down the pipe from the inside of the basement. He tells my son he has major problems, "There are rocks coming inside your house through the pipes." I have a recording of the camera and we did not see any rocks whatsoever. He told us the pipes needed to be excavated and replaced. He told my son there was no clean out outside his home so that would need to be installed as well. He quoted my son $8,000.00 to dig up the yard, replace the pipe and install a clean out!!!

Doug told my son he could not stay at his home; he could not run any water at all, or it would cause major issues. My son and his fiancé had not even slept one night in the house yet, they had just purchased their home. I told my son to take the estimate and tell them have a nice day!! We received a second opinion and ROTO ROOTER was totally lying!! There was a clean out right on the outside wall of the home, there was absolutely nothing wrong with the pipe besides it was slightly off which most likely has been that way for 60 years!! The second opinion we received placed a camera down the pipe, the camera went in the pipe very easily.

“Doug” had to force the camera down the pipe and manipulated the camera to remove the ball so it would show there was damage when there was no damage. A day my son and his fiancé should have been happy about purchasing their first home turned into the worse day thinking they just bought a house they could not even use at all because this company wanted to try to get money out of a young couple that just purchased a new home. PLEASE DO NOT GET SCAMMED BY THIS COMPANY. There have been several lawsuits against this company for the same exact thing over the years in different states as well.

Roto-Rooter response

I am the liaison between the branch and the customer. I have submitted a formal complaint to the General Manager. You can expect to hear from a member of the management staff shortly.

Customer Service Manager
Roto-Rooter Services Co.
Corporate Headquarters

pat.swanson@rrsc.com

Original review: May 24, 2021

Our sink’s p-trap was leaking, turns out a nut was cracked from corrosion... The items that were replaced would have costed under 10 dollars at Lowe's. Roto Rooters service plus pieces was $427.63. I feel ripped off.

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: May 19, 2021

I called the GR Roto-Rooter company and was given the option to cable out my plugged sewer line for $400 or to jet it out for $700. I obviously chose to cable. When they came and cabled it out they did not have enough cable - so they told my wife it would cost approximately $200 more to go and get the longer cable or now have them come and jet it out. We had them jet it out (soft clog) and then were charged for both of these even though the cable did not reach out to where the clog was (just over 100'). We were never informed about the length of the cable to make an informed decision.

I called and was put in contact with a person to discuss removing the cable charge from their invoice and he agreed and said that we would be reimbursed. That never happened and after several calling I was told that he was no longer with the company. After I initiated more calls finally the owner returned my call and would not honor his employee's offer to reimburse (he did offer $100.00 cash). It is also obvious to me that he is more motivated by money than doing what is right (reputation) than customer satisfaction. Needless to say I will not be recommending or using this local Roto-Rooter company again.

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: May 9, 2021

My fiancé and I just bought a new home on April 19th. On the second day of moving in I heard a gurgling coming from shower drain and figured that we would need to get the drains cleared out. The seller disclosed that there was rooting to be done annually due to the InSinkErator (garbage disposal) getting roots in the line. I searched whoever had positive reviews in our area and Roto-Rooter was the first to come up, so I called them. They came right out and suggested that I pay $495 to allow them to go in with a camera, which would show them the precise problem so that they could be sure. I thought it was really expensive, but being that we just moved in, I wanted to make sure we caught any problems before they became bigger problems.

I thought it was probably just the roots noted in the seller’s disclosure. The guy with the camera called in another guy and after about 10 minutes, they told me that my pipe was collapsed and I needed a whole new sewer line put in with a clean out, and to the tune of $9,000. I asked them to show me what they were looking at (never showed me what they saw with the $495 camera job they did. We went to the side of my house and the clearly incompetent tech points to a divot in the dirt and says that that’s where the line is collapsed. I should’ve known right then he was a scam artist because the place in the ground he was referring to is exactly where my oil tank is, and subsequently exactly where I had the soil samples and testing done a couple of weeks before this.

I kept telling them about the roots stated on the disclosure but they blew me off. I then stated I wanted a second opinion because I didn’t have $9k. That’s when he so conveniently whipped out their own financing paperwork. He said it was urgent and had to be done IMMEDIATELY. They were so insistent that I began to consider what would happen if they were right and I was really worried. What did I know? I’m not a plumber.

The next morning they got to work digging up my landscaping. They were incredibly rude for the most part (one guy out of 6 was nice enough) and by the time they finished, they severely damaged my property, landscaping and we now have no curb or sidewalk. Despite them putting on the contract that they would provide backfill cleanup and haul away the debris, there is now giant piles of dirt, pieces of the pipe and pieces of concrete all over my property. When I called to talk to them about it they were incredibly rude and transferred me to voicemail to leave a message. I voiced my concerns and asked for a call back and they haven’t bothered with me at all. I am now seeking an attorney to assist me getting my property repaired. Another plumber said it’s disgusting the way they charged so much and left our property the way that they did.

Hindsight is always 20/20. If you google search Roto Rooter lawsuit you will find that they have a class action lawsuit as well as many others all over the country for their predatory business practices. Many of them stating the insistence of a new sewer pipe installation and further damages to people’s property. I wish I knew then what I know now. I hope that writing this saves someone from making the mistake of trusting them like I did!

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: May 7, 2021

Before the technician came, I notified them I have stacked washer and drier and need to be pulled out before start working and I didn't get any advice. But, when the guy came in, he told me I need remove it by myself otherwise he need ask another helper and I'll be double charged. He helped me to take the dryer off eventually. The technician did only 30 mins work and charged me super high. The only reason I let he go ahead is I don't want many people to visit my home at this time. At end, he rejected to help me to move the drier back. As a customer, I feel I were treat poorly. Overall, the experience is not good.

Tao,

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: April 30, 2021

Had Roto-Rooter do a replacement sewer line which now I think we did not even need. I think they took advantage of us. Telling us that discounts would not be available if we waited. It cost 12,000 dollars what kind of discounts did we get? After they did the work with new sewer line we had the same back up and they came back and they cleaned the line in side the house. Well maybe the problem was always in side the house and not out in the front yard. They broke my water line which I had to pay and get fixed. They broke my concrete which they said they would fix but then declined. So now I am paying to have my concrete repaired.

The back fill job was just a big mess and that's the way they left it. I made a big mistake with hiring Roto-Rooter. This has been one of the most horrible companies I have ever had to deal with. They started 1/17/2021 and it is now 4/30/2021 and I am still trying to clean up their mess. Be smart and shop around before hiring Roto-Rooter.

Georege,

Customer Service Manager
Roto-Rooter Services Co.
Corporate Headquarters

pat.swanson@rrsc.com

Original review: April 17, 2021

Worst experience ever! The situation was so wrong and complex that don't know where to start from. A few lowlights: sent service to our home without our request or confirmation, charged significantly more than what quoted (20 mins job), super rude and offensive customer service. We were expecting another company to come to our home and Roto-Rooter benefited from the confusion. A confusion that they generated by sending a service to our home that was #1 unrequested and #2 unconfirmed by us. Also, they did not have the parts required to do the job that we needed so the result was bad.

Super rude customer service that decides to cynically judge how do we live in our household (e.g. "the problem is communication between you and your wife", among other similar comments) and make very offensive accusations (e.g. "you asked for a service and now you don't want to pay for it") instead of focusing on our issue and trying to help us. Promised, in a snarky way, to call us back and never did. Still trying to process what happened. We never experience anything as bad. Avoid this company as much as you can!!!!

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: April 15, 2021

BE AWARE! MAJOR RIP-OFF! Their technicians are a joke and this company is only interested in pulling as much money out of your pocket as possible by making up defects and/or over-exaggerating the problem. We had a fairly simple blockage in the kitchen and called Roto-Rooter since we're both very busy at work and didn't had time to deal with it. We called Roto-Rooter hoping for a fast, fair and flawless service for this simple problem. The website looked professional so we had high expectations. We asked my dad to open the door for the technician.

This technician literally just glanced underneath the sink and with less than 2 minutes into that visit he started saying that we have a grease-trap problem and that we are dealing with illegal plumbing. My dad is 75 years old and not technical at all so you can sell him everything, but he didn't entirely trust the story so he called me at work to share the 'findings' of this so-called technician. When I enlightened them that our system did not have a grease-trap and that 'illegal' plumbing doesn't exist, unless you're hiding an illegal substance in the pipes, the story quickly changed into a blockage with plumbing but stayed with the 'illegal plumbing' story.

It would cost us $435.00 USD + tax for the blockage and since we are dealing with 'illegal' plumbing we needed a $300.00 USD/hour + tax (!) licensed plumber to remove and reinstall the plumbing. The technician who was so 'educated' on the illegal plumbing situation that he was not allowed to touch it. We were looking at a $800-$1000 dollar bill for the service of these scamming charlatans. I told them to get off my property and take their scamming and overpriced business elsewhere.

I then called a local plumber, who did not get his 300 dollar/hour plumbing license through Harvard or Yale, and it took the man less than 5 minutes to unclog our plumbing with a garden hose and a pipe bladder and charged us 80 dollars to cover the call-out cost. The business model of Roto-Rooter is quite simple; clogged pipes are a disaster! It is gross and it limits you to do the every day chores which is an absolute pain, especially with children. They take advantage of that situation and especially of (elderly) people who have no idea. Let it be clear; $435 dollar for 10-15 minutes of work is a RIP-OFF! $300 dollar per hour for a plumber is outrageous and therefore an even bigger RIP-OFF!!! Stay far far away from this company would be my honest advice!

Customer Satisfaction Manager

Original review: April 14, 2021

After reading several reviews and all the stories sounding so similar to my own I now regret having done business with this organization. Considering they have been around so long and are nationwide I thought they were a trustful, reputable company but after our experience and reading other reviews, I don't feel they are. The day before Easter our bathroom started to back up into our tub, waited until Tuesday to call as we tried to clear issue on our own first. They sent a female tech out in Wednesday to "diagnose" issue and verbally told us to auger/snake out line. We were looking at about $660, and naturally she didn't provide that service so had to wait another day for another guy to come out. Received no written quote (big mistake).

The next day a Male tech came to house, ended up taking toilet off and running snake through pipes to clear clog, also had to put in shut off valve under sink because evidently the old one wasn't working and water supply could have been shut off at the main, but would not do it that way. Said HAD to replace shut off valve to continue so by time the day was done it cost a little over $1000 for job we were verbally quoted at $660, we weren't happy with that but happy to be able to use the toilet and shower as we only have one in our home. Also were told had a 6 month warranty on line and 1 year in valve. This was on a Thursday and by Sunday, a mere 3 days later we were backing up again and not flowing properly!

Called on Monday and they said they would send out a tech Tuesday. After waiting until 1 pm we called back and nope no tech was scheduled to come out until Wednesday! So guy shows up Wednesday and is talking his sale pitch informing us that today will be free of charge due to warranty but if problem wasn't solved and we had recurring issues we would have to have them run a camera down the line. Starting cost if that is $300 and would run more depending on how far they had to dive in to diagnose, then next step would be jetting which would cost upwards of $1600! So we should also schedule the camera inspection today to waive another service fee or take our chances because their 6 mo warranty is ** and only covers 1 return visit free of charge and since we used that we have no warranty now!?! Needless to say we took our chances, if we have issues in the future we will call a local plumber and go from there!

I feel they really didn't do the job properly the first time and that their 6 mo warranty is **, they should inform the customer at time of service it is 6 mo or 1 visit, whichever comes first! I am sad that a company that has been around for so long have such poor business practices and take advantage of people and just feel that people should know, because had I had properly reviewed them I would not have chosen this company! The techs that were at the house were nice and polite, etc. except when they were told we would not be scheduling the camera. He seemed to get aggravated and a little loud but feel after the money that was paid our issue should have been resolved!

Roto-Rooter Company Information