4.69/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Rollup Awnings

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Since 1979, Rollup Awning has provided quality products and awning services in the Long Island area. Rollup Awning retractable deck awnings are designed to operate by remote control, timer, or wind sensing operation. Our top quality deck awnings are available in different patterns and colors to transform your patio and deck.

Rollup Awnings provides a number of services that include: motor replacement, moving awnings, fabric repair and recovering. We will deliver and professionally install your awning so your family can stay covered from the sun or rain. Rollup Awning also offers shutters and storm panels for your home. Call today to learn more!

Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 1, 2017

304 Rollup Awnings Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

Rollup Awnings had positive online reviews and their in-house sales experience was a lot more thorough and described the differences between themselves and their competitors. Buying an awning was always on the list of things that we wanted to have. We had the budget and that’s why we moved forward with it this particular year over any other year. It's a purchase of a new awning so, I did my online research. I scheduled a few appointments with various vendors. When I decided that Rollup was the one that I wanted to go with, I called them back up.

I signed the contract in person and If I wanted to lock in the price, I had three days to cancel. I called them back with my fabric selection and they called me up for scheduling. They arrived on the day that it was scheduled for and installed everything. Their people were all very good. Our backyard is southward facing, so it’s provided a lot of shade. I’ve used it for being able to be back there in the afternoon without having to be exposed directly to the sun.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

We had a new patio and we were dealing with all kinds of different umbrellas and just wanted to do something that would stay stationary. Rollup was the first awnings company I went to and it looked like the right product so no reason to look further. We purchased a new awning from them and chose the fabric. It also has a remote. Their people were great all around: friendly, courteous and helpful. All good and not a complaint at all. I would recommend them to anybody and I’m thinking about getting a second awning on my house. We love it.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

We wanted to reduce some heat in the backyard by having more shade. Rollup Awnings seemed reasonable and their awnings felt like they will do a good job so we chose them. Their salesman came over and showed us different fabrics. Since we already knew what we wanted, customizing the length, the color of the awning, and other little things like the front wasn’t difficult. Then they came to install it. Overall, I really had a good experience. From the time of the first meeting to deciding we’re doing it, the process was really quick. It also pays to have some options too, like endless amounts of colors to choose from. Purchasing the awning was an expensive endeavor and we hope it really last a long time.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

My daughter and my son bought awnings from Rollup Awnings and they told me about them. I stalled it for a few years and when I finally had money to spend, I decided to purchase an awning. Everything was customized. My wife was home when they installed it and she was happy. I’m very happy as well and I’m satisfied with Rollup Awnings.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

We went to Rollup Awnings to see what they had available and then how much it would cost. We didn't have the money at that time because it was $8,000 to do what we wanted to do. But we liked the way they spoke, and they looked professional. When we were ready to do the work and we went back six months ago, the price was a thousand dollars less and we decided to do it. The salesman was reputable, he explained everything to us and he told us everything that we should expect from them. We were happy with what he was saying and we hope that what he said is what's going to happen. Rollup Awnings was professional and I'm happy with the product.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rollup Awnings?

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

My wife wanted an awning and I was looking at Consumer Affairs of the companies that were installing on the island. Rollup Awnings came up with the highest rating. I called to find out more about it when they had their big sale on, and the guy asked me to come in that day. I said, “I couldn’t.” It was a Sunday. They had someone here the next day and that was it. This is the first one that we could use in the situation we wanted because all other awnings seemed to want to be placed on the roof itself because of the low roofline. The salesman was very good too. He called a number of times to make sure that the awning could be installed the way we wanted.

When they came, they were extremely polite and efficient. It was done very well. For this location, the technology on this one seems to be appropriate. Not just the installation, but the mechanics of the awning seems to be working quite well at this point. We’re enjoying the awning very much and since it was installed, we’ve used it almost every day and it seems to be suiting our purpose. We were happy with the service to date and we are pleased with the use of it now and hope that it continues in the same way. I’d recommend them to a friend.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

There was an ad in Newsday and I had been thinking about awnings. I had called another company for a sunroom and they had awnings, but he was pressuring me about a sunroom and it was just too expensive. Then I decided I’d better research other companies. I looked online and Rollup Awnings had the most positive things. I have a small ranch. The sun comes in from 1:00 until 5:00 and I have French doors. My house, even though I have central air conditioning and it’s set low, gets very warm. I decided rather than a sunroom, I’d better go with an awning and it does cool the house.

I called them for a new Rollup Awning and I got a very nice lady. She said somebody would be calling me and a gentleman called me. They set up an appointment and they came. There was a coupon in the paper and they do a big advertisement. I asked them after I was interested and then he said, “Oh, that’s included in the price.” He gave me a price and you couldn’t negotiate. It was a lot more expensive than what I had experienced with the other company, but it had features that I liked better.

It was a standard awning and he advised me on what size to get. They sent two workers who were very neat and quite professional. I only use it when I’m here. I know it’s guaranteed with 40 miles an hour winds but I’m not quite sure if I want to go that route. I’m very pleased with the company. I haven’t had any problems and if you do have problems and you call them, they get back to you. I would recommend them to a friend.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

I first heard about Rollup Awnings from a newspaper ad and they were the only ones that I really knew about. We had needed an awning for a while so we had a brand-new one installed. I called them up and then a salesperson came out, and we went over all the options. The process was pretty simple and the customer service, in general, was just medium. They were not flexible at all on installations and they didn’t give much of a window of when they were going to come. It was either that or nothing, so they were not accommodating. The install guys that came made a mess on my deck instead of doing what they had to do and they were cutting things off the deck on there. They left a lot of debris on the deck and I had to clean up after them.

The overall quality of the new awning is very nice but it was very expensive. The stuff that they advertised in the paper, in terms of sales and discounts, was not available or they didn’t offer it. When they came, the guy said, “Well, that’s really for an inferior product, you really wouldn’t want that.” I felt it was a bit of a bait and switch, but I was already into the process and I just went ahead with it. Overall, there was nothing special about Rollup Awnings. The product wasn’t terrible but it wasn’t great either.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I’ve been wanting to purchase an awning for a year or two. I finally had the finances to do it and put our back area in a place that I wanted it to be. I liked that Rollup Awnings has been in business since the 70s. The salesman was great. He had a lot of information on how their products were made. A lot of it was made in America which made me extremely happy. The quality of the products was big for me. On top of that, the warranty that it came with was definitely a no-brainer. Another thing was the fact that if I needed to move the awning from my house that I’m in now to another house, they were able to do that. Those were a lot of the things that I liked about Rollup Awnings.

When I called their office, they sent a gentleman out to do an estimate and he was very thorough. He gave all the information. We sat down and went over all the different options, and we signed the contract right then and there. Within that time, I gave them the “okay”, and they were there within a couple of weeks. My new awning provided a great area to sit outside of the shade, even at night. It enhances the lighting in my backyard now because it’s covered. We’re able to bring out a projector out there and watch TV, so it’s pretty good. I had a phenomenal experience with Rollup Awnings.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

I love Rollup Awnings. We visited their showrooms, picked the color and everything went smooth. I was very happy we bought it when it was on sale so, we saved a thousand dollars. It has a 10-year warranty on the motor, too. The installation crew was very professional. We have an existing roll-up awning and I was wondering how they're going to put it back up on there and not have a problem with the siding. At first, I didn't know if they were doing it right, but then when they started putting it all together, they did a great job. They fit it well into our existing space and sealed it up. They also made sure everything went well and I was very happy with the installation. On the other hand, if it's raining, we can't sit on there and leave it open under the rainstorm. Also, if you punched it off, it rolls-up but it doesn't roll-off. Other than that, we're very happy as long as everything keeps going for a long time.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

There was too much sun on my deck and so I decided to get a awning. I got mine from Rollup Awnings and I had a very good experience with their team. I got the electric rollup and I have a remote control. I'm very happy with it. We mostly sit in the back when it’s nice out and it provides shade.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

I live in a complex with a homeowner’s association and Rollup Awnings is the company they use for installation. Also, my backyard faces the sun all day long so I bought an awning. I use it every day that the sun comes up. It has a remote control and since the installation, the awning's been great. The team was very nice and it was a short and sweet interaction I had with the installers. The whole experience from the first phone call to the installation was very smooth. I understood everything that was going on. I'm very satisfied.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

My old awning was broken so I called Rollup Awnings for service. Their team was very professional. Everything was very good about this company and I would definitely recommend them.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

We moved into a new house and needed shade in the backyard so we purchased an awning with the remote from Rollup Awnings. Their team measured and installed it and I had a very nice experience with them. They came when they said they would. And the product looks good. I am very satisfied with my experience with Rollup Awnings.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2017

I've been trying to stay under an umbrella out there and it’s impossible. I bought an awning from Rollup and had a very good experience. Rollup does a lot of advertising and there are three people who our backyards almost touch and they have them. But the big thing is the price is competitive and if you buy some of the other brands, you have to get somebody to do it. Also, I’ve been in the elevator business and I know what a piece of machinery should look like. Rollup is a good and well-engineered piece of product.

The people that I dealt with at Rollup were very good. I went out to their showroom over at Holbrook and it was nice and neat. The salesman was well versed on the product that he was selling me. And when they sold me their product, they told me when they would be able to install it. They also told me the time they were gonna come and they came on that date and did the job. The guys knew exactly what they were doing. And when they left, you would never know they were here other than the awning was up. They were neat workers and didn’t leave one piece of scrap.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

We’ve been thinking about purchasing an awning for a number of years and we just got tired of replacing umbrellas so we decided to finally spring for it. We got Rollup Awnings’ standard package that comes with a remote and find it to be of very high quality. Their team was also very professional.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

I live in a condo so my neighbors and I have to be very uniform. I liked the awning they got and figured it was nice to have. They had used Rollup Awnings, who did a good job, so I decided to follow suit. The salesman came over and the sale was very easy, but scheduling the installation was a problem. They wouldn’t give me an approximate time which is ridiculous in today’s day and age. I told them they could just give me a three or four-hour window or say they’re gonna call me an hour before. That was very frustrating for me ‘cause I have a very busy schedule. I didn’t want to have an appointment while they were arriving. They wouldn’t give me any time frame and just said they don’t know who they’re gonna do first which is also ridiculous. Then when I called that day finally the rep said, “They’ll be there before 12:00.” But then when I called back she said I shouldn't have been told that.

There’s also one slight error with the product. The balance wasn’t the one I ordered. It was not a big deal because it was installed and I could use it. I called the day they installed it and she said, “No problem. We’ll ship it out.” But she never wrote that down. I had to call back three times on that and they kept saying they’re shipping it tomorrow and they didn’t. Eventually, I did get the balance. Overall, most companies have these issues, but it’s really about the final product. The awning is beautiful and I really like it. I could be outside and have a little shade so I'm happy.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

I have a French doors which lead to a patio. Unfortunately, the constant exposure to the sun made my house extremely warm despite central air conditioning. I researched several awning companies and decided upon Rollup Awnings. Their salesman came and explained their product without any pressure. Once I made my decision the awning was promptly installed by two very professional gentlemen. I could not be happier. The awning is an engineering marvel. With the press of a button it unfolds and provides shade and a lovely visual addition to my patio and back yard. Would highly recommend this company.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

We visited the Rollup Awnings showroom and we told them what we were looking for. The technician explained all the different types and how the mechanism works. We liked it and we realized that we cannot use umbrellas anymore. It wasn't enough shade. We decided that moment that we needed a new rollup awning. The person was good and overall, our interactions with them was good.

However, this girl over there made me feel so low by asking me 20 times to make sure I have the money when they come and install it to pay them full, even though I told them I wanted to pay cash and pay right away. It was an expensive awning and the balance was $4,000. That was extremely annoying and bad. I yelled at her and I told her if I didn’t have the money, I wouldn’t buy the awning. They are not very professional in that respect, and I've told them that.

They also told me to stay home from 9:00 to 3:00 but I work for a living too and I told them to give me an hour that they can be there and fix it. They told me they don't know what time I will be serviced and I could be the first or the last. I ended up staying at home and nothing happened. Their time management is very poor and they wanted to do the job forever even though it’s paying them an hour. They are not concerned about somebody’s time. Then they were supposed to send a technician to go and put it up one at a time at 9:30 but he didn’t show up till 12:00 and that's after I called. This bothered me a lot and I got disappointed with them. After I called them, they told me the technician went to the wrong address somewhere which I didn’t believe. But generally it was a good experience. We now use the awning whenever it’s hot. Every time we open it, we sit outside and everything has been perfect.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

Their representative was thorough and quick. The interaction was great and it was easy. Everything sounded good and so, we went with Rollup Awnings. A couple of years ago we lost a tree and a lot of shade on our deck. Then we built an outdoor fireplace. And then after that, we needed more shade for the deck and the kitchen area. So we got a new awning with a size that was a little different than the norm based on where we were putting it. I picked out a solid color and then everything else is white plus the extra part that goes across. We were able to pick between a couple of those. So, that was good. Sometimes we just put it out to keep the sun out of the kitchen area because then it keeps the house cooler. And then other times it's just to have it out so that you can sit out on the deck. Overall, my experience with Rollup was easy, quick and they provided very good service.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

Last week, after 5+ years of flawless operation and our total satisfaction with its performance, our motorized retractable box deck awning would not open. After confirming that there was power to the awning and replacing the remote control unit's battery, it still would not open, so I contacted Rollup Awnings. After listening to my description of the problem, the person who answered my call put the owner on the phone. The owner quickly suspected that the awning motor had stopped working and had to be replaced. After looking up my sales record, he told me that even though the 5 year warranty on the motor had expired almost 3 months ago, Rollup Awnings would honor the warranty and that all I would have to pay would be a service charge, saving me over $900 for the repair.

Needless to say, I was very pleasantly surprised at that generous gesture. Furthermore, even though their service schedule was booked for the next 12 days, he told me that he didn't want us to go without use of our awning in the heat of the summer for such a long period of time, so he managed to squeeze us into the schedule 3 days hence. Again, I was happy to be treated so considerately.

The afternoon before the scheduled service call, Rollup Awnings contacted me to confirm the appointment the next day. I called them in the morning to find out when they would be at my house and was told early afternoon. At noon, the two service technicians arrived and after a full hour of work. A new motor had been installed and the awning was again working. Throughout the work, the technicians were very courteous and professional. We are extremely pleased with the promptness of the repair and how well we were treated by the entire Rollup Awnings team, especially the honoring of the motor warranty even though they had no legal requirement to do so. It's a testament to Rollup Awnings' commitment to their emphasis on customer service. We highly recommend Rollup Awnings.

Original review: July 15, 2017

We needed shade over a part of our patio and the umbrellas we were using were not large enough to cover the area. We wanted to get an awning that would cover the entire patio. We had a presentation made by Rollup Awnings and another company. We decided to go with Rollup Awnings because we liked the presentation of their salesman. They were expensive but the price difference between the one we ended up getting and the other company wasn't huge. Rollup Awnings was more expensive by about $900, but we liked the information that we heard from them. We got a standard-sized awning from them and picked out its color and fabric.

It rained on the first installation appointment we had so they had to reschedule because they couldn't do it in the rain. The person at Rollup Awning who rescheduled it was very nice and the guys who installed it did a good job. They were quick and efficient and were in and out in two hours. The overall quality is pretty good. The motor is very smooth and quiet and the remote control works really well. But we didn't position it all the way at the end of the roof which would have given us a little bit more shade. Instead, we positioned it six inches from the end of the roof. However, it was our decision and other than that, it looks good and works very, very well. I would definitely recommend them.

Original review: July 14, 2017

My wife was in the town and we used to drive by Rollup Awnings. We went to the store and picked out the awning in person. We use it for shade and we're pretty happy with the quality overall.

Original review: July 13, 2017

We're in our eighties and I have skin cancer. We needed an awning to be able to sit outside. Rollup Awnings was giving zero percent financing and a free remote so we contacted them. The people there was okay and they had quite a few fabrics options. I'm happy with our awning.

Original review: July 11, 2017

From start to finish my shopping experience was simply perfect. From the moment my "significant other" and I stepped into the Rollup Awning showroom I was met by a friendly and informative salesman. He led us through the entire process, demonstrated the various awnings available and described what he thought worked best for our backyard. Afterwards he visited our home to take measurements. Bringing the swatches of fabric, he enabled us to take another look to ensure our selection. Then we were visited by a really experienced installer who again took measurements to help clarify how high to place the awning. This was very comforting since we were concerned our awning might be too low due to our crescent shaped window. Finally, two installers completed the job in less than one and one half hours, instead of the anticipated three hours. It looks better than expected and we are delighted to finally have use of our backyard.

Original review: July 2, 2017

I get a lot of sun on my back deck all day long and I've been thinking about purchasing an awning for a few years already. I found Rollup on the web and saw that the awnings they made were of a very high quality and they came in different sizes. Furthermore, they had plenty of samples on display in their showroom for me to look at. That made it so much easier to decide and so I purchased a new automatic awning from them. The awning was exactly how Rollup described it in the showroom. However, when they installed it, it was not retracting completely and was sticking out a couple of inches. Nevertheless, Rollup came back and fixed it, and the awning has been working fine ever since then.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: June 29, 2017

We built a barn in the backyard and needed shade. We went to Rollup Awnings and picked out a color and size that would be appropriate for what we needed. I got a smaller bracket because I didn't need a bigger one. This is our first awning purchase and the rep worked with us on how it worked and walked us through it. My awning came out great and I love the color. Everything worked well and the people that set it up were good.

But I had a little problem with their electrician. He made it sound that the minute it was installed, he was going to come out immediately and do electrical work on it but it didn't quite work that way. He came out two days later. Also, they said that if I fill out a Google online review, I'll get a $50 rebate but I have not gotten it and that was over a month ago. So, I called them and they said they'll get me out another one. It's been two weeks since our last plus that phone call so I'm going to place another phone call for them. Other than that, I like the service I got from Rollup Awnings and they're very patient in the showroom.

Original review: June 28, 2017

I've been sitting with a dingy awning and the wind blows it away. I had heard about Rollup Awnings from my neighbor and so I had them come to have a new one installed. Someone from Rollup came, walked me through the options and explained why it was worth spending more money on them. And so, I agreed to buy an umbrella awning that day.

Rollup installed the awning for me. When I spoke with them about why I wanted the awning and what I wanted shaded, they had the problem solved for me by figuring out where the sun is, wherein I told them it was. However, the awning needed to be in a different place to shade the part of the patio that I wanted in the shade. The place I wanted in shade is in the sun half of the day. While their product is great, it's not meeting my needs. So now, I'm working with them to fix that problem. They asked me for photos and measurements first but I was away and so it took time for me to get back to measure. Now, I'm waiting for them to get back to me and it's been about three weeks already. Nevertheless, the quality of the awning seems great and my interactions with their customer service have been good so far.

Original review: June 22, 2017

I read some positive reviews for Rollup Awnings and I called them. When the representative came to my house, he brought a small model of the awning and showed me how it works and showed me examples of materials. I bought a new awning with the motor. And after that, they gave me a time for the installation and the installer came and one more person came later to do the electrical part. We’ve had it for a month now and so far it's working well. When I open it in the morning, we enjoy the sunny days and the shadow and I roll it up in the evening. Everything was done perfectly fine and on time. It was beautiful with a good material. We had a very good experience and Rollup is a very good and reliable company and I would recommend it to others.

Original review: June 17, 2017

Rollup Awnings offered a very good deal and their crew and sales staff were very nice. And so, my husband chose to purchase a new automatic awning from them. Ours is automatic - you press a button and the awning rolls out.

Rollup Awnings Company Information