2. Homeowners
  3. Awnings
Accredited Partner

Servicing New York City & Long Island

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.64/5

Since 1979, Rollup Awning has provided quality products and awning services in the Long Island area. Rollup Awning retractable deck awnings are designed to operate by remote control, timer, or wind sensing operation. Our top quality deck awnings are available in different patterns and colors to transform your patio and deck.

Rollup Awnings provides a number of services that include: motor replacement, moving awnings, fabric repair and recovering. We will deliver and professionally install your awning so your family can stay covered from the sun or rain. Rollup Awning also offers shutters and storm panels for your home. Call today to learn more!

Rollup Awnings Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rollup Awnings?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rollup Awnings?

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

Short and to the point: rude and unprofessional owner. I had the awning installed approximately 7 years ago. From Day 1 it was leaning on the right side. I called to have them come and fix it and not only was the owner offensive, but he wanted me to pay to get it fixed. This past summer, I had a contractor here doing another job. He looked at it and saw that they never bolted the right side in correctly. Again, if I were to write what the owner originally said to me, it would be offensive. Just writing this review to warn others when buying.

Get buying tips about Awnings delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

The rollup awning installed in 4 years ago used rarely, broke the housing. The company is saying that it broke it was left open during wind and rain. However, it was never left open during wind or rain. When I filed formal complaint, the Owner (Ray) instead of resolving the issue was yelling at me and hung up the phone. Worst Service I ever had. Never buy from these guys. It is a rip off. Expensive product. Nothing is covered in the warranty.

Rollup Awnings response
    We received a call from you stating that your awning is leaning to one side. We sent a crew out and our foreman determined right away that the awning support failed due to pressure from an excessive load of water. These brackets are made of solid aluminum and these would only break with a significant weight load causing it to pull away.
    Your awning was installed 4 years ago in 2016 and there has been no issues up until now. We have even stipulated this in your signed contract as there is not enough pitch to use your awning in the rain.

We have thousands of awnings manufactured and installed from Manhattan to Montauk and have been in business for over 40 years. We stand behind our product and have the expertise to know that if the awning is left out unattended in the rain this is what happens.

Resolution response: June 27, 2020

Issue fixed has been fixed, BUT the owner of the company never apologized. Instead he had an employee do it. If I owned a business and a customer was having this many issues I would’ve gone to check the problem out myself, especially if the customer lives less than a mile up the road. He just accused and aggressively berated me. His own employees called him “crazy” and that he talks like that to everyone. I promise I will never recommend them. While my awning does work now I am still very apprehensive that it will last. PS- to the company if you’re going to blame the customer by saying the wind damaged the equipment you should really not have a video testimonial in your showroom of a awning in heavy winds proving its strength. I will not change the stars but will say that after three weeks of constant battling with the company they finally fixed the issue.

Original review: June 24, 2020

Good afternoon. My name is Jillian Ridente. My husband and I purchased ($4315.00) a roll up awning from Roll Up Shutters and Awning on 1688 Church Street in Holbrook. We had issues in the beginning (the awning would unroll and roll itself without cause) which they came and fixed. Now that the weather is warmer I wanted to use my awning so my children could have shade playing outside (our home has no shaded area). My awning started to hang at an angle and rolled out on its own. I called the company on June 9th at 11:48am and spoke to the customer service manager who said she would give my number to the service manager Ann. June 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th no phone call. My husband then called on the 15th and was given the same information that Ann would call the same day. No phone call was received by either of us.

I called again the next day on the 16th and spoke with Ann who made my service for the 29th. Our service contract expired on the 19th of June (funny they couldn't send anyone till the 29th even though I was calling before the 19th of June). I called again because the rollup awning was rolling out again on its own and was posing a danger to my 4 and 2.5 year old children. Ann suggested replacing the batteries in the remote. I then went to the business, explained to Ann that the batteries were new. Ann sent a worker to look at the awning. He said that the bracket was split and needed to be replaced. He said nothing about the awning opening on its own. No one called back that day to set up another service nor an explanation for the defectiveness. I called Ann the next morning because upon waking up at 730am my awning again was open. She said she would try to get someone here that day but no one came.

Today when I called to speak to Ann because my awning opened again three times by itself, the owner of the company M.R. Braun got on the phone and proceeded to blame me for the defective motor, the bracket breaking, cursing and hung up on me twice. They sent the same service guy who came and he unplugged my awning. I again went to the business and Mr. Braun again yelled and accused me of breaking an awning I only used 4 months since June of 2019. I have no awning to use for shade. My roof could have possible damage and now they will not take my nor my husband calls.

The awning looks as it could rip off my roof at any moment. I am scared that my family could be severely injured or my home could be damaged. I have tried to speak with and go to the company and now I am afraid I will have to pay another company to come and fix a defective product by Roll Up Shutters and Awning. We are honest hardworking people who decided to invest some savings into our home improvement. We went with this company because even though we read some unkind reviews online we had faith when we went to see them. I can only have my children out for small amounts of time because there is nowhere to sit in the shade in the backyard. I would never ever recommend this company to another homeowner ever.

Hello Mrs. Ridente,

I would like to formally apologize that you were not happy with our service and for the way you were treated. It is never our intention to offend our customers. By NYS requirements we weren’t able to start service until June 1, 2020. We have been very behind due to COVID-19 and although not an excuse for the way you were treated, I wanted you to know where we are coming from. Everyone has been extremely stressed due to this virus and we are sorry that this stress permeated onto our customers.

The issues you are having can easily be rectified and will be taken care of. This was a matter of manpower and time. We will get this taken care of as soon as possible.

Our apologies from our family to yours.

I am sorry to hear that you are not satisfied with our company. This virus has caused such turmoil and we as a small business are still recovering and trying to catch up as best as possible.

The video you are referring to shows the awning outside our building showcasing our patented Chainlink Windflex Arms which are specially engineered to flex with the wind, acting like a shock absorber. Awnings should be retracted part way in any type of rain due to lack of pitch.

I am happy that your awning has been repaired and please don’t hesitate to reach out if you need anything.

Original review: April 11, 2020

I purchased my home in 2006. The retractable awning that was purchased by the previous owners I still have. I wanted to replace the fabric. About 2 years ago I looked to have it replaced. Was not good timing so I never did. Fast forward to yesterday. I called again. He quoted me a price over phone which I remember why I didn’t do in the first place. Very expensive to replace fabric. I decided to make some other calls to get other estimates. I found another company who would do for $600 less.

I let Rollup know that I did not need to come out for I found a better price. I didn’t order and cancel. It was a conversation quote only!! Not according to this owner of Roll-up. How dare I waste his time. He called me and was so rude. I still can not believe how he spoke to me. Trust me I’m never short for words or a snag comment. His rudeness shocked me and I was shaking with anger for a good 1/2 hour. I find out why he thinks he can and does treat people the way he does. His product is a patent. He tries to monopolize the industry. He can charge whatever he wants because his company is the only one who can repair and replace. So basically I would have no choice but to reach out to his company if anything goes wrong with my awning parts & frame. However he told me he closed my file and if I need anything in the future I cannot get it from his company.

Rollup Awnings response

Dear Mrs. Gordon, thank you for your review. We apologize that our service did not satisfy your expectations. Should you need any further assistance in the future, we are available to help.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

I was screamed at and hung up on the phone by the owner of this business twice when I can attempting to schedule a repair appointment. This was after they cancelled two prior service appointments on the day of after I had taken off from work to be there. The owner has serious anger issues and is unprofessional and treats clients terribly.

Rollup Awnings response

Dear James, thank you for your review. We apologize that your experience with us did not satisfy your expectations. Should you need us in the future, we are here to help.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

I want an awning for my deck to keep shade in the summer. I had three other awning companies come give me an estimate but I like that Rollup Awnings does their own stuff and they have their own factory. The people at Rollup were fine.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

We've been wanting an awning for a couple of years, and we finally had the money to do it. We've gotten an estimate from somebody else, but it was much more expensive than Rollup Awnings. Everything went great with Rollup. They're a very good company. We're very happy with them. We got delayed in getting our awning because of the rain, so it had to be rescheduled once, but it was relatively quick. It was within the month. Their product is very, very strong and very good. So, I would consider them over a lot of people. And for the price, it's one of the strongest awnings out there.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

We needed some shade in the backyard and Rollup Awnings was about 10 minutes from my house. So we got an awning from them. The sales guy was excellent. He went through all the info and the options. He showed us everything. So, he was very thorough. The installation wen very well. The guys knew definitely what they were doing. The only thing we needed to do was figure out the size of the awning. I’d recommend them.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

Rollup Awnings has a good product. It's very easy to use. We had a standup awning, and it was falling apart. We got a new one and the installation took a few hours.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

I have a deck at the back of the house and I got an awning from Rollup for shade. The salesman was very helpful and very knowledgeable. I was very happy with their product versus the products from a couple other companies. Then they had to come for a site survey because I have solar up on my roof. So, it was questionable whether or not the brackets were gonna fit. I had to move a couple of bracket from my solar in order to make the brackets fit. But overall, I’m very happy with the awning.

Rollup Awnings author review by ConsumerAffairs

Rollup Awnings has been in business for over 30 years and has showrooms that customers can visit to see their products firsthand. They offer awning delivery and installation throughout Long Island.

• Customer service: Because Rollup is such a small business, they offer superior customer service to all of their clients.

• Warranties: Rollup offers excellent warranties to clients that cover damages and defect.

• Fabric variety: From solids to stripes, Rollup offers over 50 unique fabric options to the consumer.

• Service: Rollup is located on Long Island and offers service to customers, specifically residential ones, within the area. Services provided: Recovering, Moving, Awnings, Fabric Repair, Awning Repair, Motor Replacement, and Motor Conversions.

• Cost: Services can be expensive compared to other awning providers.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team