4.72/5
Based on 86 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Servicing New York City & Long Island

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Since 1979, Rollup Awning has provided quality products and awning services in the Long Island area. Rollup Awning retractable deck awnings are designed to operate by remote control, timer, or wind sensing operation. Our top quality deck awnings are available in different patterns and colors to transform your patio and deck.

Rollup Awnings provides a number of services that include: motor replacement, moving awnings, fabric repair and recovering. We will deliver and professionally install your awning so your family can stay covered from the sun or rain. Rollup Awning also offers shutters and storm panels for your home. Call today to learn more!

Read More Read More
Last updated: April 18, 2018

348 Rollup Awnings Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 18, 2018

We’ve used Rollup Awnings for many years. We picked them out of the yellow pages and we’ve had a relationship with them even before the internet. They did a good job the first time and we stayed with them. We’ve had several jobs with them through the years. We purchased a new awning from them about four years ago. We called them up and we asked for a quote for the main awning. We had gotten some other quotes to make sure that the Rollup Awnings rep was in the same ballpark and he came in reasonable. He wasn’t the lowest, but he was not too far off the low and we decided to stay with them. We replaced the main awning with a motorized one. The installers were very quiet and didn’t cause any disruption. We didn’t even know they were there and they did their job very efficiently and professionally.

Get expert buying tips about Awnings delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 7, 2018

My neighbor went with Rollup Awnings, and I saw how much she used her awning in the summer so we decided that we wanted to do it as well. I trusted her opinion since she checked everybody out first and then went with them. So I called Rollup Awnings, then met their sales agent. He went over all the fabrics and its length. I told them exactly what I wanted and ordered it. The process was very easy and quick since I wanted the exact one my neighbor had. The Rollup Awnings team was great.

Original review: March 28, 2018

Rollup Awnings was expensive. I thought it was right from the factory and that it would be more reasonable. I’ve used it and the quality is okay, it serves its purpose. It’s still good, it's still working but I don’t know if I will go back to them. They installed it and they did a good job. However, I'd tell others to shop around.

Original review: March 15, 2018

A salesperson came to my home and showed pictures and fabrics. I bought a new awning and I use it when it's sunny outside.

Original review: March 4, 2018

We got tired of using just these little umbrellas because they only cover one person. My husband wanted to cover the whole family and in the end, after years, an awning would be cheaper than keep buying these huge umbrellas. The people from Rollup Awnings worked with me and were very kind. I changed my mind a few times and they had no attitude. I had a couple of different customizations that I wanted, which they did and I'm happy with the installation and the process.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rollup Awnings?

Original review: March 2, 2018

We had a large awning put in about 15 years ago and then we installed another one at the back five years ago. When the large one started to pull off the roof, Rollup Awnings had to come in to put some extra tie-downs on it because there was too much tension on the beam. They resolved it within half a day. The awning is not hanging off the side of the house, but it’s actually on a low-slung roof and it’s a fairly large piece. You can’t really leave it out, so you have to really pull it in if you have any kind of increment weather. So over time, this thing started to sag on it. But Rollup Awnings was great and they were very professional in everything they've done. I recommend them to anybody.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

We got storm shutters from Rollup Awnings in 1990, then we recently purchased a new unit last year. I called them, they came to the house and measured, then they gave me a quote and we went ahead and did the job. They did a great a job and also have a good quality product. Everything was great in our interactions with the Rollup Awnings team. It was an excellent experience and I highly recommend them. We are very happy and may they continue the good work.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

Rollup Awnings don't ignore you like a lot of places do when you walk into a store, and purchasing from them was a painless process. I told them the size we needed and I picked out the color. They made it and then they came and installed it. And they had a special when we bought our awning where we got the motor with it. We had no shade in the backyard before, but now we can sit out there in the rain and in the sun. We get the hot afternoon sun and it protects us from that. I also liked that if it gets windy, the awning closes. I don't have to worry about it ripping off the house.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

I put in my awnings up and down every year and I didn't want to be putting them up in the spring and taking them down in the winter, so I put rollups up. There is a local dealer that advertised Rollup Awnings so I went there, compared them to a couple of other people, then had them do it. I'm happy I did it with Rollup Awnings and I'd tell others it would be a good decision to go with them.

I have roll-up shutters too that I purchased direct 8 years ago. They're hurricane shutters that roll up and down in front of a lodge, and I put them up myself because it was too complicated for the one that sold me the awnings. Those shutters I had it cut and put up and head them into the soffits in front of the doors so that they weren't visible and then, they come down out of the soffits. It overhang outside the house in case there was some bad weather and down they came. I've had no mechanical malfunctions all the years I've had it, so I'll keep going on there to what they're doing.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I bought this Rollup Awning four to five years ago. We were in the market to get an awning and we went online and checked out who is in that business. We looked at Sunset Awnings then we looked at companies that are local, and Rollup is local to me. They’re out here in Suffolk County. We redid a room in the house that had a large sliding glass door that was going out to the backyard and steps were going out from it. So, we figured it would be a great idea to have an awning out there to protect us from the elements, the sun or whatever. I remember one of the principals came to the house and he had some mechanisms in the trunk of his car that actually showed how the Rollup Awnings mechanically work. And I was very impressed with the mechanical aspect of the Rollup Awnings. It looked like it was really solid made and wasn't flimsy so that the awning itself mechanically would work well.

We picked the design and the material looked like as good quality as I could get anywhere else so it was going to be more expensive, but it looked like you would get what you would pay for. Even though it was more than what we anticipated and wanted to spend, if you wanted to get what you paid for, go for it so we did. They measured and we picked out a pattern. And they put up their product with our choice of cloth on the awning. I've had this thing for years and I've never had to do anything to it accordingly. They gave me a pole to work it manually if I lost power or the remote didn't work, and I've never had to use that. We've been through every season, every winter, every storm, and the awning has been amazing.

Every time I open and pop it up and put it down or pull it back up, I'm saying, “I can't believe this thing is still working." And now it's working like the day they put it in. There's only one disadvantage to it. It was mounted to this side of the house over the stairs and it didn't have a shield over the mounting plate between the mounting plate in the awning so that when it rains, the rain would not go through the awning. But it would actually go through the space between the awning and the mounting. So I had to have somebody help me put up a board up there which works perfectly. So now, no weather comes to this thing at all. It's just a design issue. It's certainly not a flaw in what I bought. If I had to do it all over again, I would say design-wise, it should have a shield over it. But the awning is perfect. My wife and I are very pleased with that awning. And although it was expensive, we’ve got the quality we paid for. It was all good.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

We used a different awning and we had an issue with birds living in there. Rollup Awnings was supposed to be better for that but it turned out that it wasn't. They said their awning was supposed to help with the birds because of the design, but it didn't. They also said that we needed to get the foam rubber, the life raft that you use in the pool, those circular things. They said, “If you use those, they won't live there." But they were falling out and it was ridiculous. We also got a better fabric, figuring things wouldn't be as bad but we still have to clean it because it still gets moldy. We sent more money on this awning than the last because we were hoping that this would work, but it didn't solve the problem. We still have birds and I'm not happy about it.

On the other hand, their reps were very nice. However, when we called to say, “Well, the birds are in there.", the rep said, “Well, you could put the tubes." He only said that after the fact. We only use the awning when we go out or when we have company. We pull the awning out when we sit out there. It's a great product, but you're not going to get away from the birds. If they could fix that issue, that'll be wonderful. But it doesn't seem like it. Also, their awning has that lip and it is supposed to make the awning close better, but it doesn't. So, that's the issue with it.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

We redid a new deck and we had an old, metal awning from the original owners. We needed a cover but we didn't want to do metal. So we decided to go with Rollup Awnings since we could take it up and down. Their fabric choices were great and the fabric that we got didn't rip. The guys that came were nice, too. One time, the awning broke and was left open. It was in the middle of the night and it was pouring rain so we didn't see it. We went to shut it but it didn't shut all that way. We called Rollup Awnings and told them about it. The woman on the phone told us that it would be taken care of. We waited for them to call and we kept calling them back, but they didn't call for over a week later. Also, they didn't do the awning until after the July party that we had. They told us that they have been busy, but we didn't buy that.

That unfortunate situation put us in a jam at the party. We had people in their 70's and 80's that came and they usually sat on the deck since the awning covered it. So we had 85 to 95 people and we needed that awning. Instead, we went to borrow umbrellas from others. So Rollup Awning's product and craftsmanship of putting it up were all good. But their follow up was terrible and they should not promise a customer something if they couldn't deliver. And when we left them messages, they didn't call back for three days, which was unacceptable. They need more people in their office. If they don't have enough guys to do servicing, they need pick employees during a busy time. We recommended them before but we wouldn't recommend them ever again.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

We had always had a portable gazebo on our patio. It had gotten quite well-used and we had to replace that so we bought a standard size awning from Rollup Awnings instead and use it as shade while we were outside in the summertime. We had a very nice purchasing experience with them and everything went very well. The people in the office were extremely nice and helpful, and the people that installed it were also very good. I would definitely go back to their company.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

When we purchased our home, there was already an awning there. After a couple years, it stopped working so we tried to get it fixed and realized it was easier to replace it. Rollup Awnings was the only provider in our area so we had them come and they were able to choose the fabric for us that would fit. We had a good experience and everything was great.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

I bought many years ago an awning from Rollup Awnings and I'm pleased with it. We have a double porch and we put an additional awning on the second half of the porch as well. We liked the person who came and he was knowledgeable. He talked about cleaning the old awning since it was dirty, and they cleaned it too. We wanted a new awning to match the old one and the pattern wasn't being manufactured anymore, but he was able to find some leftover piece so that we were able to match the two awnings. We were very pleased that he went the extra mile and found it for us. The awnings provide shade and we use it all the time when it's sunny. Sometimes, even when we are not outside, we still use it because it shades the house and we don't have to use our air conditioner as much.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I had a contractor put up my awning about 20 years ago but after all that time, the fabric became shabby so I had to replace that and Rollup Awnings was great. They came when they were supposed to and were on time to take it down for me to choose. And they also came on time to install it. They were helpful and I would recommend them.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

We’ve had our Rollup awning for 14 years now and we have recommended it over the years to others. It has been replaced at least once and we always called any time we had a problem and they came and fixed it. Everything is okay with our awning and we use it a lot. It’s a very nice thing to have and our friends enjoy it as much as we do on a sunny day.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

We had put a new deck on right at the back of my house and an awning looks nice on it. My husband passed the Rollup Awnings store a few times on Long Beach Road and someone else told him that they used them. I only dealt with one gentleman and then there was the work crew that came in and installed it. Everything went fine. They had explained to me to make sure I leave it out when it’s really hot out. And when it’s cold out, bring it in because when it is left out it actually reduces the temperature inside. I absolutely love my awning and it was worth the investment. Even if it was expensive, it's better than to continually buy an umbrella that constantly breaks. The awning is in great shape and I’ve never had to call them to come and repair anything.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

Rollup Awnings sent a flyer offering to restore my awning if it was bought 10 years ago. Since I had originally used them 10 years ago and although there wasn’t much wrong with it yet, I got it restored. The whole thing was as easy as it could be. Moreover, they knew what they were doing. They came, measured the awning and took it down. Then I selected one from their large selection of patterns. About a week later, I had a new awning. My deck is on the west side, so the awning is perfect and I love it.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

Ten years ago, we got tired of the umbrella over the picnic table on the back deck so we decided with the grandkids that we wanted the awning off the house instead. Rollup Awnings came out, gave us an estimate, took measurements and gave us a choice of colors and sizes. We picked the one that we liked and as far as the pattern goes, it was a cooler pattern that comes out and we went with it.

The awning had gotten weathered over the years. Rollup Awning was very helpful especially when I called about having the awning redone again. They came back about before the last summer. They were out here within a couple of days. It took a few days for them to redo the whole thing and upgrade it, and come back and install it again. We had a wind vane on it that we set so that if the wind gets too heavy, the awning will roll up by itself. We also have a remote roll-out and roll-in on it. It's electric. We use it every day in the summertime. Our backyard faces east so every morning before my wife goes to work during the summer, that awning comes down. It stays down until the afternoon when the sun has moved off to the west and now we've got a shadow of the house. We've told a couple of our friends about Rollup Awnings and my cousin has done it as well.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

When we first moved in 25 years ago, Rollup Awnings contacted me and they had a fast response. They were very courteous, professional, and they had a decent pricing. We reached out to them again recently to refurbish the awning and someone came over within a couple of days, went through the complete process, and brought materials with him to pick out. And then, they took the old awning and brought it back completely refurbished with the new materials. Everything was perfection. Rollup Awnings expedited everything in time frames. We use it daily in the summertime because it blocks the sun coming in through the sliding glass doors and we also eat out there at nighttime during the summer on the deck. It was was pure satisfaction.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

Rollup Awnings did an awning for me about 10 years ago, and it lasted so long. I had them replace it with a new fabric because I changed the color scheme of my house, and they did a good job. Their team was very professional and courteous. They were prompt and they did everything that they said they were going to do. The awning works perfectly. When we’re in direct sunlight, it shades us. Rollup Awnings sell high-quality products. They also do what they say they’re going to do and when they say they’re going to be there, they’ll be there.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

When my wife moved into this house, there was a Rollup Awning in place. The awning was electronic and we kept that. The fabric wore out so we wanted to get another one. It was split and it looked ratty. I had somebody from Rollup Awning come over and they gave us a quote to replace the material part. They explained the time frame and they said that the awning that rolls out is attached to a piece which is also attached to the home. They told us everything was okay and the only thing that needs to be replaced was the fabric. A couple of weeks later, they came over and put up the new awning but there were a couple of things that were a bit sketchy. One side of the material was a little darker than the other. It also repelled water differently than the other side. So, it looked like there were two pieces that were stitched together and they were from different fabrics both in color and in functionality.

We also were having some work done in our home and the gentleman fixing the deck right above the awning told us, “Your awning is hanging down. It’s not sitting right.” So, we looked at it and the awning was like going to fall off the side of the house. I called up to see what could be done since we just got this. Rollup Awnings told us we had to buy a new backing which certainly didn’t make me happy because it seemed like everything was okay and they’re heavy. Anne, the rep, told me that the backing was done when the awning was first put up in the house. The way it was described to me was that the wood plank that’s behind it was broken.

In the beginning, our interaction with the team was pretty cool but after that, I was not pleased because when I called up about the difference in the fabric and about the thing hanging, the guy told me to take pictures and send it to them. When I sent the pictures over, it was very clear that both sides were ripping away from the house and it was coming down. I never heard anything back and I called again and asked for the guy. I ended up getting pushed over to Anne and that’s when she explained to me that we had to buy a new part.

Rollup Awnings make a good product but it’s expensive. When we started to look at reviews of various companies and our neighbor mentioned somebody else, some of the reviews I read for that were horrible. So, we figured we’d go back to the company that we had the product with. But, I would like for Rollup Awnings to be a little better throughout the process. They could have handled the issue differently.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

When we first moved into the development here, we had a patio in the back and we wanted to put something up there. We looked up Rollup Awnings, found them in the book, called them and got good service out of them. This past year, I had the rollup re-covered after 19 years. The awning itself was still good, but the seams of the canvas of the rollup were starting to come apart. The crew that took it down was very good, so I asked to have them again. They reworked everything and put it back up with a new canvas on. We’ve had good experience with Rollup Awnings and we use the rollup practically every day during the summer. We have a table and some chairs out there and the afternoon sun is high, so we need the shade in July and August.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

My deck is very hot. I got an awning about seven years ago and recently, I refurbished. I got the service from Rollup Awnings for my existing awning. My interaction with their team was good. They got it done when they said they were going to and it was timely.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

I have two awnings. I have one for years that aged, so I got a new one this summer. I always wanted to get an awning, but I couldn’t afford it because I have 5 kids and I was a single parent so after I retired, I was checking one day and was looking at the price and the type of fabric they had, and the lady was very nice. I was just getting information, and she was patient. Then a week after, I went back and signed up and they came and they measured. Rollup Awnings allows you to choose whatever fabric you want. They also give you different pieces so you can decide on what color you want, and whether you want a plain color or you want stripes. The installers were very nice and they did their job. Everything went beautifully.

The patio that I have does not have a cover. It is a plain patio so that was one of the reasons why I took the rollup one. I can put out the amount of slit I want or if I don’t feel like putting it out one day because it’s cold, I can retract it myself. I also make sure that I roll up my awning if the radio forecasts any high wind. It’s a small piece, so my son takes it out for me and puts it in the garage. I have been extremely satisfied with Rollup Awnings and I recommend them.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

We used to have a table in the back with an umbrella on it. When the grandkids came over, the deck was burning their feet, so we decided to go with the awning. Rollup Awnings was the only one I saw at the time. They came over and gave us an estimate. We're a little disappointed in the mounting but it was not their fault. We've had this awning for 10 years now and we also have the remote for the roll up and roll down. We had a water issue one time, where it leaked behind. So, the awning had to be taken down and put it back up again. I'd recommend Rollup Awnings to others. The experience with them was fine and we're very satisfied with their product.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

We have a new deck at the backyard and the sun is beating right down on it, so we got a new awning. Rollup Awnings was the best one around. They were nice and understanding. They took their time, sat down with me, and explained everything. They didn't apply any pressure. They have the most updated equipment so we bought a good unit. It was almost $5000. The only competition was SunSetter, but we decided to go with the way we went and we're not sorry for it yet. The deck is 16 feet wide and the awning covers it from side to side. It was a good move. The awning is really nice. It's on a remote. It's also easy to store in the winter. You don't have to take it off and put it in the garage anywhere.

We had it opened one day and it was windy. I called them up and told them it looked like it needed an adjustment from the wind. They came over and told me, "When you first install it, you have to wait two weeks for it to settle." I told them nobody ever told me that and that it shouldn't be like that. It's either it's good to go or there's a problem. They understood and they repaired it.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

Rollup Awnings put the awning in our home over 20 years ago. I went with them because they're here in Holbrook. They’re very nice people, too. Everything was fine and it lasted for about 12 years. This new purchase is my second one. I'm calling them again because it's time to shut this thing down so it's nice and tight for the winter. I also need an adjustment. Overall, my experience with Rollup Awnings was very good and I would recommend them.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I asked for some information on a couple of different companies by mail, but I liked the quality of the construction of Rollup Awning so I had them install a brand new awning. I had a neighbor who had a different brand of awning put up. It looked very nice, but when I went to look at it, it seemed it seemed a little bit flimsy. So I went to the Rollup Awning Showroom and looked up there. Though it's a lot more money, the gauge of the metal and the gauge of the fabric seemed to be a lot more substantial.

The sales part of it was good, but not great. I had one meeting with the sales person at their office then he came to the house. Those meetings were good, but I have never heard from the guy again in terms of follow up from the installation. I expected some kind of a follow up from them as to how it went. Other than that, I've been satisfied. They're a very professional company. They have a good process and provided a fair service after the sale.

Rollup Awnings expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Rollup Awnings has been in business for over 30 years and has showrooms that customers can visit to see their products firsthand. They offer awning delivery and installation throughout Long Island.

• Customer service: Because Rollup is such a small business, they offer superior customer service to all of their clients.

• Warranties: Rollup offers excellent warranties to clients that cover damages and defect.

• Fabric variety: From solids to stripes, Rollup offers over 50 unique fabric options to the consumer.

• Service: Rollup is located on Long Island and offers service to customers, specifically residential ones, within the area. Services provided: Recovering, Moving, Awnings, Fabric Repair, Awning Repair, Motor Replacement, and Motor Conversions.

• Cost: Services can be expensive compared to other awning providers.

• Best for: Homeowners