Servicing New York City & Long Island

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I got tired of throwing umbrellas out so we purchased an awning and Rollup Awnings was contracted for our development. We had two choices of colors since ours is a townhouse development. It has to be uniform so we had to go with what was decided on years ago. I called Rollup Awnings, the guy came and showed me the colors. I said, "This is what I want. Can you install it?" And that was the end of that. All in all, it was quick and they did great.

I have a French doors which lead to a patio. Unfortunately, the constant exposure to the sun made my house extremely warm despite central air conditioning. I researched several awning companies and decided upon Rollup Awnings. Their salesman came and explained their product without any pressure. Once I made my decision the awning was promptly installed by two very professional gentlemen. I could not be happier. The awning is an engineering marvel. With the press of a button it unfolds and provides shade and a lovely visual addition to my patio and back yard. Would highly recommend this company.

We visited the Rollup Awnings showroom and we told them what we were looking for. The technician explained all the different types and how the mechanism works. We liked it and we realized that we cannot use umbrellas anymore. It wasn't enough shade. We decided that moment that we needed a new rollup awning. The person was good and overall, our interactions with them was good.

However, this girl over there made me feel so low by asking me 20 times to make sure I have the money when they come and install it to pay them full, even though I told them I wanted to pay cash and pay right away. It was an expensive awning and the balance was $4,000. That was extremely annoying and bad. I yelled at her and I told her if I didn’t have the money, I wouldn’t buy the awning. They are not very professional in that respect, and I've told them that.

They also told me to stay home from 9:00 to 3:00 but I work for a living too and I told them to give me an hour that they can be there and fix it. They told me they don't know what time I will be serviced and I could be the first or the last. I ended up staying at home and nothing happened. Their time management is very poor and they wanted to do the job forever even though it’s paying them an hour. They are not concerned about somebody’s time. Then they were supposed to send a technician to go and put it up one at a time at 9:30 but he didn’t show up till 12:00 and that's after I called. This bothered me a lot and I got disappointed with them. After I called them, they told me the technician went to the wrong address somewhere which I didn’t believe. But generally it was a good experience. We now use the awning whenever it’s hot. Every time we open it, we sit outside and everything has been perfect.

Their representative was thorough and quick. The interaction was great and it was easy. Everything sounded good and so, we went with Rollup Awnings. A couple of years ago we lost a tree and a lot of shade on our deck. Then we built an outdoor fireplace. And then after that, we needed more shade for the deck and the kitchen area. So we got a new awning with a size that was a little different than the norm based on where we were putting it. I picked out a solid color and then everything else is white plus the extra part that goes across. We were able to pick between a couple of those. So, that was good. Sometimes we just put it out to keep the sun out of the kitchen area because then it keeps the house cooler. And then other times it's just to have it out so that you can sit out on the deck. Overall, my experience with Rollup was easy, quick and they provided very good service.

Last week, after 5+ years of flawless operation and our total satisfaction with its performance, our motorized retractable box deck awning would not open. After confirming that there was power to the awning and replacing the remote control unit's battery, it still would not open, so I contacted Rollup Awnings. After listening to my description of the problem, the person who answered my call put the owner on the phone. The owner quickly suspected that the awning motor had stopped working and had to be replaced. After looking up my sales record, he told me that even though the 5 year warranty on the motor had expired almost 3 months ago, Rollup Awnings would honor the warranty and that all I would have to pay would be a service charge, saving me over $900 for the repair.

Needless to say, I was very pleasantly surprised at that generous gesture. Furthermore, even though their service schedule was booked for the next 12 days, he told me that he didn't want us to go without use of our awning in the heat of the summer for such a long period of time, so he managed to squeeze us into the schedule 3 days hence. Again, I was happy to be treated so considerately.

The afternoon before the scheduled service call, Rollup Awnings contacted me to confirm the appointment the next day. I called them in the morning to find out when they would be at my house and was told early afternoon. At noon, the two service technicians arrived and after a full hour of work. A new motor had been installed and the awning was again working. Throughout the work, the technicians were very courteous and professional. We are extremely pleased with the promptness of the repair and how well we were treated by the entire Rollup Awnings team, especially the honoring of the motor warranty even though they had no legal requirement to do so. It's a testament to Rollup Awnings' commitment to their emphasis on customer service. We highly recommend Rollup Awnings.

We needed shade over a part of our patio and the umbrellas we were using were not large enough to cover the area. We wanted to get an awning that would cover the entire patio. We had a presentation made by Rollup Awnings and another company. We decided to go with Rollup Awnings because we liked the presentation of their salesman. They were expensive but the price difference between the one we ended up getting and the other company wasn't huge. Rollup Awnings was more expensive by about $900, but we liked the information that we heard from them. We got a standard-sized awning from them and picked out its color and fabric.

It rained on the first installation appointment we had so they had to reschedule because they couldn't do it in the rain. The person at Rollup Awning who rescheduled it was very nice and the guys who installed it did a good job. They were quick and efficient and were in and out in two hours. The overall quality is pretty good. The motor is very smooth and quiet and the remote control works really well. But we didn't position it all the way at the end of the roof which would have given us a little bit more shade. Instead, we positioned it six inches from the end of the roof. However, it was our decision and other than that, it looks good and works very, very well. I would definitely recommend them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rollup Awnings?

My wife was in the town and we used to drive by Rollup Awnings. We went to the store and picked out the awning in person. We use it for shade and we're pretty happy with the quality overall.

We're in our eighties and I have skin cancer. We needed an awning to be able to sit outside. Rollup Awnings was giving zero percent financing and a free remote so we contacted them. The people there was okay and they had quite a few fabrics options. I'm happy with our awning.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

From start to finish my shopping experience was simply perfect. From the moment my "significant other" and I stepped into the Rollup Awning showroom I was met by a friendly and informative salesman. He led us through the entire process, demonstrated the various awnings available and described what he thought worked best for our backyard. Afterwards he visited our home to take measurements. Bringing the swatches of fabric, he enabled us to take another look to ensure our selection. Then we were visited by a really experienced installer who again took measurements to help clarify how high to place the awning. This was very comforting since we were concerned our awning might be too low due to our crescent shaped window. Finally, two installers completed the job in less than one and one half hours, instead of the anticipated three hours. It looks better than expected and we are delighted to finally have use of our backyard.

I get a lot of sun on my back deck all day long and I've been thinking about purchasing an awning for a few years already. I found Rollup on the web and saw that the awnings they made were of a very high quality and they came in different sizes. Furthermore, they had plenty of samples on display in their showroom for me to look at. That made it so much easier to decide and so I purchased a new automatic awning from them. The awning was exactly how Rollup described it in the showroom. However, when they installed it, it was not retracting completely and was sticking out a couple of inches. Nevertheless, Rollup came back and fixed it, and the awning has been working fine ever since then.

Factual basis uncertain

We built a barn in the backyard and needed shade. We went to Rollup Awnings and picked out a color and size that would be appropriate for what we needed. I got a smaller bracket because I didn't need a bigger one. This is our first awning purchase and the rep worked with us on how it worked and walked us through it. My awning came out great and I love the color. Everything worked well and the people that set it up were good.

But I had a little problem with their electrician. He made it sound that the minute it was installed, he was going to come out immediately and do electrical work on it but it didn't quite work that way. He came out two days later. Also, they said that if I fill out a Google online review, I'll get a $50 rebate but I have not gotten it and that was over a month ago. So, I called them and they said they'll get me out another one. It's been two weeks since our last plus that phone call so I'm going to place another phone call for them. Other than that, I like the service I got from Rollup Awnings and they're very patient in the showroom.

I've been sitting with a dingy awning and the wind blows it away. I had heard about Rollup Awnings from my neighbor and so I had them come to have a new one installed. Someone from Rollup came, walked me through the options and explained why it was worth spending more money on them. And so, I agreed to buy an umbrella awning that day.

Rollup installed the awning for me. When I spoke with them about why I wanted the awning and what I wanted shaded, they had the problem solved for me by figuring out where the sun is, wherein I told them it was. However, the awning needed to be in a different place to shade the part of the patio that I wanted in the shade. The place I wanted in shade is in the sun half of the day. While their product is great, it's not meeting my needs. So now, I'm working with them to fix that problem. They asked me for photos and measurements first but I was away and so it took time for me to get back to measure. Now, I'm waiting for them to get back to me and it's been about three weeks already. Nevertheless, the quality of the awning seems great and my interactions with their customer service have been good so far.

I read some positive reviews for Rollup Awnings and I called them. When the representative came to my house, he brought a small model of the awning and showed me how it works and showed me examples of materials. I bought a new awning with the motor. And after that, they gave me a time for the installation and the installer came and one more person came later to do the electrical part. We’ve had it for a month now and so far it's working well. When I open it in the morning, we enjoy the sunny days and the shadow and I roll it up in the evening. Everything was done perfectly fine and on time. It was beautiful with a good material. We had a very good experience and Rollup is a very good and reliable company and I would recommend it to others.

Rollup Awnings offered a very good deal and their crew and sales staff were very nice. And so, my husband chose to purchase a new automatic awning from them. Ours is automatic - you press a button and the awning rolls out.

I had a little money saved so I decided to buy a new awning. One of my friends has Rollup Awnings and he has a good experience with it. Their salespeople were very knowledgeable and the showrooms had everything we needed to see. We wanted to have it by Mothers' Day and their people were very helpful. I couldn’t believe how quickly we had everything done. The awning is about 20 feet on the second floor deck, has a remote and it works great. It's very sturdy and heavy duty.

We used to move an umbrella around on the deck in the middle of the day which was crazy. So now, the awning covers the whole deck and we put it out all the time. I was hoping that we’d be able to go out in the rain, but it's really clear that because of the pitch, we can't do that and we won't be able to open the awning in the rain, but otherwise, it's perfect for what we need it for. I love the Rollup Awnings. The quality is perfect, they had a great and professional service and I'm very happy.

I can't be in the sun anymore since I'm on a medication. My backyard is all sun, so we figured an awning was better than an umbrella. We found Rollup Awnings was number one on Long Island. We went with them since with the other company, I would have to order it, then shipped to me, and do it myself. Rollup Awnings has a nice showroom. We went there to see the different colors, and they explained different types and prices. The sales rep was nice and explained everything well.

Then they sent people out and do the installation and they were awesome. They recommended an electrician that could hook up the awning for me and he was good. Everything was perfect. The awning has been installed for a month and it's been great. All I have to do is push a button and it goes right out. Then if it gets windy or rainy, I just bring it right back in. I don't even have to go outside and do anything. Nice and simple. Anybody could use it. I would highly recommend Rollup Awnings.

We decided it was time to get an awning. We face directly West and it was hot as hell in the summer. We tried umbrellas, but they didn't work as well. So, we basically stopped entertaining here in the hot summer months. I did some research online. Although Rollup Awning was a bit more expensive, it was a better product over SunSetter. I also liked that it is also made on Long Island rather than have it manufactured elsewhere because I live on Long Island. I like the idea of supporting the local economy. And then, I went to the showroom and thought they were professional there too.

The installation is a 4 step process. Step one was getting them out here to do the measurement. They had to come to look at the house to see how they could put the awning up. Step two was the electrician having to move a light. The only downside was that they said they were going to have an electrician call me. I waited a week or so after we made the deal and signed the contract and I hadn't heard from anybody, either from Rollup or the electrician. So, I called Rollup back and they were apologetic and they said they'd be out and then they came. Step three was the awning installation itself. And then step four was having the electrician to come out the second time to supply the electricity. The last was definitely done in one day.

The installation was a bit more pricey than I was expecting. They said, "Well, we have this fabric that's now manufacturer discontinued, so you can save yourself $200 if you like that." Well, it had a light blue in it and the vinyl siding on the house was a light blue. So, I chose that and it was pretty nice. It's been a month and a half since we had our awning installed. The gear motor is holding up fine. We've put the awning out even if we're not using it and that actually has cooled down the house of maybe 5, 10 degrees. That has been helpful. Overall, I was very satisfied. I recommended Rollup to my niece because she just got a new house and they need an awning and they did decide Rollup.

I was tired of baking on my deck. I heard about Rollup Awnings through my grandfather. He had an awning installed at his house. I chose them based on the great customer service he had with them. My experience with Rollup Awnings was phenomenal from start to finish. They were very helpful. I went to their showroom and gave them some measurements. They came out, did a site survey, gave me an installation date and three and a half hours later, it was installed. I got the bigger motor and the remote for it. I'm absolutely happy with the fabric I picked.

Everything's great. There have been no problems whatsoever. Barbecue's just sitting out on the deck. Usually when the sun is glaring down, the deck gets a little warm so I open it up for the dog so he doesn't burn his feet. Moreover, the team at Rollup Awnings was great. I had a problem with the remote and they gave me a second remote at no charge. They gave me instructions on how to program it to the motor and I had no problems. They walked me right through it. Everything that they promised and said about the awning was 100% true and it’s real nice to deal with an honest company. I would recommend it.

We decided to have some replacements in the backyard, and rather than getting an umbrella, we just went with an awning, which would be better. It will really help us to enjoy the space better because we get the full sun in the backyard. Nobody would ever sit in the area that we put it because the umbrella didn't do the job. We’ve heard about Rollup awnings from a few people, so we decided to purchase from them since it is a family-owned business. Their salesman was very good and knowledgeable, and their installation people were also very knowledgeable and friendly. The awning came with the manual and automatic, and then we chose the cover for it. We had its fabric and style customized. However, since it's been cold and raining in New York, we have yet to open it. On the whole, it was a very good experience.

We were very happy with our retractable awning. The salesman was accurate and the installation department came on time and installed our awning very quickly. The electrician was very diligent in coming and installing the switch to open the awning. It is beautiful and we are very happy with it. All in all it was a very pleasant experience.

We wanted a different use of our deck and so we thought of getting an awning. We have been around to a few awning places and we saw Rollup Awnings’ advertisement in the paper. Their salesman at the showroom was excellent and very helpful. We got an awning with gear motor. Their installation crew was also on time. We were very happy with our experience with Rollup Awnings. It was wonderful.

In the late afternoon I would always move umbrellas and got sick and tired of that, so I bought an awning. Rollup Awnings is the best. We talked to a few builders and most of them were going with them. They said that's the best company on the East End of Long Island. We went there, talked to one of the owners, and he impressed me with the way he was handling the whole affair. We decided to go and have the job done and they performed right on schedule. They came here, did a super job installing, then later the electrician came to hook everything up and it works perfectly. I have the automatic, remote control, where the whole awning disappears in the winter, well-protected from the outside world. It's custom-made. It looks great and people are impressed when they see. Two people who saw it said they might even consider doing the same thing I did. The experience was top notch from the introduction to the end.

It was getting hot on my deck because of too much sun. I went to Rollup Awnings’ local showroom to purchase a new awning and I spoke to their salesman and worked a deal. I picked my fabric and they installed it. It was a simple process. Rollup Awnings delivered what they had promised and I’ve had no problems with the awning. It's perfectly fine. When we sit out on our deck, we roll it out to keep the sun from beating on us. Unfortunately, the birds like to nest in it.

We are so happy with our Rollup Awning! Greg came to demonstrate the product (a fantastic demonstration, he is so knowledgeable and enthusiastic about the product!). We selected the color (so many to choose from!), he measured and explained the installation process. The installers were polite and competent. We are so happy with our awning! Rollup is the company you want to do business with! They know what they're doing, and they care about making you happy! We're pretty finicky, by nature, and have nothing but praise for Rollup and for Greg. You'll be happy with them, too.

We moved to a new house and we wanted to have the same look as the Rollup Awnings at our other house. So, we got the same size but different color for the new awning. I called Greg because we had a relationship from the first house, and he came over. We initially wanted to do one over the walkout. And then, we suggested to do and cover a bunch of other windows, so we went with a bigger size than we were initially gonna do. It's the 20-foot standard size. The installers were great. I didn't like the pitch initially. But they went back up and changed the pitch. So, it's a good experience. They're pricey, but it's a great product. My backyard has a huge built-in pool, a lot of landscaping and the sun shines that way for a good part of the day. We didn't want to have the shades down and not being able to see that. So, the awning down covers that and it's just a beautiful sight.

My son has Rollup Awnings that's an older one in the house he bought. We have a nice deck and it's very sunny in the back so we decided to get one too. We used it on Sunday, but it was very, very windy so we had to not use it. We've had it a couple of years now. It's still working well except when we couldn't use it.

Rollup Awnings

We are very sorry to hear that you are not satisfied with our products and services. When your husband called Rollup to tell us your awning was broken he also told us your house keeper left the awning out in heavy rain. Your awning did not have proper pitch for use in rain. Your contract clearly stated that you were not to use the awning in the rain due to lack of proper pitch. You have a very large awning and unfortunately leaving it out in heavy rain allowed a lot of water to pool on the fabric putting undue stress on the collar. Your house keeper broke your awning. Our service technicians came out to your home to repair the awning and found the awning was still left out and never retracted. We photographed the awning and the damage. We found the fabric was soaking wet. Our service department called you after the inspection to discuss the damage (broken collar) and to schedule repair. This was last September. To date, you have yet to contact us to schedule the repair. This review is the first that we have heard from you since your initial contact regarding the damage. As for the fabric being dirty, you purchased white fabric. I personally spoke with you and tried to discourage you from purchasing plain white as it would show dirt. Any white fabric exposed to the outdoors and environmental debris will not stay bright white. It is impossible. Also, your fabric was soaked with water. It was left out for an unattended, extended period of time. Putting your fabric away soaking wet may cause discoloration. Especially with bright white fabric. We at Rollup stand willing and able to repair the damage caused to your awning by your house keeper leaving it out in heavy rain. Please call our office at your earliest convenience and we will be happy to schedule service around your schedule. Thank you, Rollup Awnings

Original review: April 19, 2017

I would never recommend this company. My husband and I bought their awning and it was installed around the July 4th Weekend of last year (2016). By Labor Day Weekend it collapsed! We had a very hard time scheduling a speedy inspection (they defended their delay by saying, "We're a big company with lots of installations"). When they did come they said it was our fault ("because you let it get rained on") and that we had to pay them $800 to have it repaired, even though we’d had the awning only two months.

We had our previous awning for over 10 years, made by a local company. Occasionally it got rained on (sometimes thats unavoidable), but the rain never damaged the awning. From time to time we needed service, but I hardly remember because the problems were so minor. I do remember that whenever we called they came right over, unlike Rollup, which basically told us we shouldnt expect fast service because theyre so big.

You might be wondering why we switched. Frankly, so are we. The only reason we did was that when it came time to replace our old awning due to age and wear and tear, Rollup convinced us that they had a revolutionary internal cleaning system that our old awning lacked. Whether they have that or not, though, it sure wasnt worth it. We’d much rather have the awning cleaned occasionally than get something as fragile as the Rollup awning, which was either defectively made or defectively installed, and then have to deal with a company that refuses to stand behind its product or its workmanship.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We are so happy with our new awning. Rollup Awning did a great job. They are courteous & when they give you a date & time they stick to it. Clean-up after the job was done & I would highly recommend them.

Rollup Awnings

We truly appreciate you taking the time to let us know how happy you are with Rollup Awnings. We are thrilled you chose us to manufacture your custom made retractable tube awning. We hope you enjoy many years in the shade under your Rollup Awning!

Original review: March 11, 2017

We needed some more shade in the backyard and Rollup Awnings had a better presentation than another company I looked at. We went to their store to purchase the awning and there were some choices. We picked what we liked and what went with the other furniture. After we purchased the awning, they put everything up when I wasn't home. I was very pleased with them and the awning works great. It always does what it needs to do and it has an electric switch that they put inside the house. From start to finish, it was a quick and easy experience and they did a beautiful job.

Rollup Awnings

Thank you so much your your feedback. We at Rollup Awnings are happy you chose us again for your retractable awning needs. We have developed a front bar drop shade that may alleviate the issue you are having with the sun. Please call our office at your earliest convenience.

Thank you again.

Original review: March 5, 2017

We've been dealing with Rollup Awnings for many years. I replaced one awning once then I bought another one for a different part of the house. Rollup was very good and responsive. They came to the house, we showed them the situation, purchased the awning and they did it. They were very accommodating. They picked the color and the fabric. They did a good job and that's what counts. Both of the awnings were very similar to each other as far as how they were constructed. The only thing I don't like about it is when the sun gets later in the afternoon, it goes around the house and then sneaks in under the awning from the side. But there's not much that I can do with that and it's not their fault.

I have a deck at the back of my home and it faces west. The deck is unusable in the summer afternoon because it was too hot. I liked the design that Rollup Awnings had on the framework of their awning so I purchased an awning from them that has a gear motor and was activated by a remote. I also chose one of their fabrics and I'm very happy with the whole awning. The crew that came to install it was very professional, did a good job and cleaned up after everything. Everything went very smoothly from start to finish. I've had it for a couple of years now and it continues to work very well and everything is as it should be. I'm very satisfied.

Rollup Awnings Company Profile