Malden, MA

4.7/5 (403 ratings)

About SunSetter Awnings

SunSetter Awnings is the largest American manufacturer of retractable patio, window and deck awnings. The company produces four different awning types, including motorized and manual hand-cranked models. Most of the awnings attach directly to a structure, but the company does have one freestanding model. The motorized models open and close using a remote control, and the manual model uses a hand crank.

Pros

• Wide fabric color selection
  • Buy direct or work with a local dealer
  • Option for DIY installation
  • 5 to 10-year limited warranties

Cons

• Limited freestanding model options
  • Installation not included

Bottom Line

SunSetter Awnings offers many options to meet the needs of any customer or budget. Options include 28 fabric choices, sizes from 8 feet to 20 feet wide and manual or remote retraction.

Top SunSetter Awnings Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

My father has a SunSetter awning and he gave us one as a gift. He enjoyed his so much that he thought we would enjoy it and we have… That deck was nearly unusable until almost dar...

Verified

We have some friends that have SunSetters and we decided to go with their recommendation. The installation of our awning went really well. So far, we love its reliability. So far,...

About SunSetter Awnings

SunSetter offers two product lines of awnings: The SunSetter Series and the Platinum Series. Awnings in the SunSetter Series come with a five-year limited warranty, and Platinum Series products come with a 10-year limited warranty.

Awnings are available in widths from 8 feet to 24 feet and extend from 7 feet to 11 feet, 8 inches out, depending on the model. Awnings from SunSetter are made from woven acrylic or laminated fabric and available in 28 colors.

How does SunSetter Awnings work?

Customers can buy awnings directly from the company’s website or from a local SunSetter dealer. If you buy the product directly, you select the product line, model, fabric color and valence style: straight or wavy. You can also choose the awning’s size and type of mounting bracket.

Awnings bought directly from SunSetter come with a 90-day money-back guarantee. When you work with a local SunSetter dealer, you can get expert advice and a free in-home consultation.

SunSetter does not directly offer installation services. Customers can either install the awnings themselves by following the instructions in the booklet and DVD that came with their awning or have them installed professionally by a local SunSetter dealer or a third-party contractor.

SunSetter Awnings prices

SunSetter Awnings cost between $600 to $6,000. The price depends on several factors: size, retraction mechanism, fabric, shape and type.

The most popular model is the SunSetter motorized model, which has an average price of $2,800. The manual version has an average price of $2,300.

SunSetter Series

SunSetter Series awnings are available in two fabric choices: waterproof laminated fabric or water-repellant woven acrylic fabric. All awnings in this product line come with a five-year limited warranty.

ModelPrice Range
XL$3,075 - $4,250
Laminated fabric$599 - $2,980
Acrylic fabric$1,855 - $4,250

Platinum Series

The Platinum Series awnings are made from Sunbrella acrylic fabric that is water repellent and resists mildew, mold and fading. The product line features models that retract into a permanently installed aluminum semi-cassette hood, which helps protect the awning from the elements. Awnings in the Platinum Series come with a 10-year limited warranty, and prices range from $2,600 to $6,000.

ModelPrice Range
Platinum$2,923 - $5,257
Platinum Manual$2,676 - $4,196
Platinum PRO$3,051 - $5,642
Platinum Plus$4,245 - $5,663
Platinum Plus PRO$4,506 - $6,051
XL$4,186 - $6,051

SunSetter Awnings FAQ

How much are SunSetter awnings?
SunSetter Awnings range from $600 to $6,000. The price range for the SunSetter Series is $600 to $4,200, and awnings in the Platinum Series range from $2,600 to $6,000. Manual awnings run between $1,600 to $4,200.
How do you install a SunSetter awning?
For do-it-yourself installation, follow the instructions in the installation booklet and DVD that comes with the awning. Installation takes two to three hours, and all you need is a few simple tools.
  1. Unpack the awning and all its components from the packaging.
  2. Bolt the mounting brackets to a wall on the outside of your home.
  3. Lift the awning into the brackets and push the square bar attached to the awning into the brackets.
  4. Secure the square bar with a retaining bolt in each bracket.
  5. If you have a motorized awning, plug the power cord into your outdoor outlet and use the remote to open the awning. If you have a manual awning, open it using the hand crank.
How do you clean a SunSetter awning?
To clean a SunSetter awning, brush it when it’s dry and then wash it with mild soap and lukewarm water. If that doesn’t do the trick, follow the care and maintenance instructions included with the awning.
Where are SunSetter awnings made?
SunSetter Awnings assembles components manufactured in China and other countries at its 72,000-square-foot facility in Malden, Massachusetts.
How much does it cost to install a SunSetter awning?
It costs between $175 to $450 to have a local SunSetter dealer or a hired professional of your choice install a SunSetter awning. Installation costs range between $6 to $9 per square foot.
Are SunSetter awnings waterproof?
Yes, many of SunSetter’s products are waterproof or water repellant.

Are SunSetter awnings any good?

SunSetter awnings are a good choice for those shopping for an awning. The company offers multiple models, varying widths and a wide selection of fabric colors to fit any customer's needs. Customers have the freedom to buy awnings directly from the company or work with a local dealer. Customers can install the awnings with easy-to-follow instructions, or a local dealer can provide professional installation.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunSetter Awnings?

Original review: March 6, 2022

We placed our order to SunSetter with the expectation of delivery for May. We happen to be in Florida right now, and the purchase was for a property up in Massachusetts. When we bought it, we had a time when no one was wanting to be sitting outside. So, we were trying to be proactive to make sure that everything was ordered, received, and ready for installation as soon as we got back.

We went with SunSetter because of the dimensions I was looking for. I was looking for that extra depth. We have ordered the XL depth. The deck in the townhouse that we recently purchased happens to be 11.5 feet deep. So, it's like it is custom made for it. I called in and spoke with a representative. She ended up telling us that we would have to find an installer and she gave us the names of installers. We met with the installer first because we weren't even sure how feasible it was to install and would we be happy with the choices that had to be made for the installation. In the process, they also act as a sales rep. We fully recognize that we paid more for doing it through the sales rep, but they were looking at all the aspects of our property and were going to be responsible for getting it installed. So, there were pros and cons. I could have ordered through the 800 number, but then it was on me to make sure that I’d done things right.

The only thing that was weird is the information I got from the 800 number was in direct conflict with stuff that I was told via the representative that I was ordering with directly. She was pretty appalled by it. That aspect was confusing and I kept going in circles. I was like, “You sure? I've been told I cannot order that.” She said, “Of course, you can order that.”

With the type of fabric mine is ordered in, the 800 number person had told me that that was not an option. The brochure would imply that it was not an option. Also with the 800 number person, I had found some difficulties with the reading of the website and had questions for her, and she got combative slightly with me on that when I told her, “Look, this is a customer giving customer service feedback that I found this aspect difficult. It might be worth the company knowing that I had difficulties finding this, that this would be valuable.” I got really snappy back with her. Other than that, we are expecting to be very happy with our product. We're excited and looking forward to it and looking forward to what it's going to do for us and the usability of our guests.

SunSetter Awnings response

Thank you for your feedback. We do apologize for the initial confusion. We are thankful you decided to place your order, and hope you enjoy many years under your awning.

Get buying tips about Awnings delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

I had two companies come out and the salesman from SunSetter was a lot better at explaining the awning. At the time, they had a few deals that helped me make up my mind on it. They gave $500 off plus a free wind device that will close the awning up automatically by itself if it gets too windy. The people came out and measured for it. The gentleman said what the price would be. I asked how long it will take and he said about five weeks and that I'll get a call within five weeks to actually install it. He didn't ask any down which was surprising to me.

They called up and said they would be able to be out at a certain time. They came and installed it relatively quickly. The guy putting it up was very knowledgeable and explained everything about the awning, how to work it, and any problems we might have. He also said that if I have any problems, call the main office and they would take care of it. After I had the awning, I opened it one time and then, I waited about a week to open it again because it was really rainy out and it wouldn't work. I called to talk to customer service. They ran me through some things and we still couldn't get it to work.

I called the main office and talked to a gentleman named Matt who was the owner of Weather Armor. He sent out a guy to check it and we found out that the motor was shot. He ordered another motor and it was sent out via FedEx. Within several days, we received it and they came out and put it in. It opened up and ran fine. But then there was a power outage and it wouldn't work so they had to send somebody out again to reset it.

The last time the guys came, I told them that there seemed to be a problem when the awning closes. One of the arms doesn't close as far as it should. They adjusted that and reset it. So far, after that, it's been working okay. They've had to come out several times, but they were very nice on the phone. If I had a problem with it and call, they'll come out and fix it if there is one. I have been pretty happy about that. The quality of the product is good too. I just had the experience with a bad motor, but that could have happened to anybody.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

Shawn was great. He’s a local gentleman and he was on time. It was my mother's idea to get a SunSetter awning and when Shawn was coming out to tell us about it, my husband said, “Well, let's get one, too.” We sat down with my mom, picked the color, and he suggested the style of it. There were some challenges of the way her door opened and the way the sun came. In Nevada, the sun is really hot in the morning so she couldn't go outside. We picked hers then we came to our house and Shawn showed us the same thing. We also picked colors, the style and what he recommended.

My mom's awning is good, but we couldn't get that big of an awning, and we had to roll down the screen. The only challenging thing for her is it's hard for her to put that screen down to block the sun. However, what I like about it is it has the wind thing. We have a lot of wind in Nevada and we don't have to worry about it. When the wind blows, the awning kicks up and automatically rolls up, which is awesome. In the end though, we were the happiest ones that got it. Our house would really heat up because of the way the sun would come into our dining room window, but ever since we got that SunSetter, it's cooled things off for us. The quality is excellent, and we are enjoying ours much more than my mom is.

Although there were some disappointments with installation, I can't blame the company with it. My husband was thinking ahead more than the installer. We wanted to make sure that the cord wasn't going to dangle down on both locations and the timing gave us time to find an electrician to set up a way to plug in the outlet, so it wouldn't dangle and look cheap. That part was good. We could prepare ahead and the guy was helpful in helping us decide where we needed to put that outlet.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2021

SunSetter's sales rep who came to the house was fine but we got a little confused towards the end while we were waiting for our awning to come in. At one point, the day that we were supposed to get the arrival, they said we didn't have an order and we were not on their records. So, we got a telephone number for the representative and he was having medical concerns, but he had the owner get back to us and we were told that we had an order and it was going to be delivered the following day. Then, we had the delivery the next day. The installers were awesome and they came immediately at the time they said they were going to come. They did it in an hour. We got the motorized awning and I like it. But I didn't notice it when they first showed us that when you press the remote, it makes a large click sound like it's lifting and the fixture is releasing itself. So, it scared us a little bit, but we're used to it now.

Other than that, we thought the price was high and there was a little confusion in that too. I was not sure if we got the complete definition but they said we were going to have a cover and we opted out for the plastic cover that came with it. We opted for the more expensive cover for the winterized. But when they left, we told them that there was no cover on it and asked how do we cover it up for the winter. They said that was it and that we didn't need to cover it. So, we paid 450 extra for what we thought was the way it's opened in the summer. But in the winter, I'm not sure. We're going to have to experience it. I also have to go over and see my neighbors' to see if theirs is the same. But they didn't think they bought or paid extra money for the cover, so we're not sure about this.

Original review: July 30, 2021

A neighbor had a SunSetter awning and I bought my daughter one six years ago, and it worked out all right for them. My neighbor's had his for 30 years. My daughter has had hers about six years. And I needed it. It has been proven that it works. The rep came out and they didn't have the color I wanted in the five-year warranty, but they had it in the 10-year warranty. After I already signed the contract, he said, “No problem. We'll put that one up and it will be a 10-year warranty instead of the five.” I said, “Hey, fantastic. That's great.” The two guys who came installed the awning within an hour. It didn't take up my time, even though I'm just hanging around watching. But they said they would be here at a certain time, they were.

The awning does drop the temperature 20 degrees. On my deck, I'm facing south, and it gets hot out there. That awning works. And it's efficient. You can take it in and take it out. And the wind was blowing the other day and I got the sensor on it, and I was gone, I came back, and the awning was in. That wind sensor works and it's a good thing to have there, too. I couldn't be more satisfied with it. So far, it has proven everything that I wanted and what SunSetter said it would be.

I just had it open now and it just rained. But I only had it half open, so I had to let it dry off before I roll it up. That's not a concern, but it's something that you should do. If you don't, it will mold. I know it will mold when it gets wet if you had it rolled up. Because my neighbor's is about 30 years and his is molding a bit on the front cover. I asked the guy then, too, because the neighbor asked me to ask SunSetter how much it would cost just to get the awning replaced. It's around $1,500. I said, “Well, that seems pretty high, but I'll tell him anyway.” When I told him, he said that he didn't think he paid for it that much when he bought it new. I said, “Well, 30 years ago, you probably didn't.” I'm very satisfied with it. But the price is high. And most people probably won't get it because of that price. That's the only negative thing. That's a lot of money to invest in something like that that most people aren't sure of. If it was a bit cheaper, I'm sure more people would get one.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
    Original review: June 22, 2022

Ordered my Sunsetter on 06/06/2022. On 06/17 I went online to check on progress. It had arrived in Atlanta on the 17th and sat there until I called on 06/22 to see what was going on. I was informed they had an invalid phone number and couldn't get in touch to set up a delivery. I called Sunsetter who said they had two numbers for me. One was an office number (I retired 10 years ago). I had a Sunsetter years ago. The other was my correct number. Why didn't they call me? Or email me? Or mail me something? They had all the info available. Their products are very good, customer service, not so much.

SunSetter Awnings response

Thank you for your correspondence. We are very sorry to hear about the difficulties you recently experienced with SunSetter Products. We take great pride in our product quality, our service, and especially in the satisfaction of our customers. We regret any unpleasant experience that our customers may have. We take your concerns and recommendations seriously and one of our Customer Service associates will attempt to contact you via the phone in the next few days to follow up directly with you.

Original review: June 14, 2022

Everything's great. The awning is easy to work and the mechanisms are fine. The material seems good too.

Original review: June 14, 2022

I built a two-family home and I needed something to cover the deck out from out back. I used another guy up in Stamford and his price was much higher than SunSetter. I figured SunSetter has the name and reputation, so I went with them. The only thing is I bought another awning that was much better than SunSetter. Other than that, everything was good.

Original review: June 13, 2022

I got an electric awning from SunSetter, and it was very expensive but they installed it very well. They did a good job. So, I'm very happy.

Original review: June 13, 2022

I had a totally excellent experience with SunSetter. We had a good installation team and people who were careful. The product’s working fine, doing what it's supposed to do.

SunSetter Awnings response

Thank you for your correspondence. We are very pleased to hear about your positive experience and the overall satisfaction you have received from your SunSetter product. We take great pride in our product quality, our service, and especially in the satisfaction of our customers. We are always happy to hear from customers that enjoy their SunSetter products. We look forward to sharing your feedback with all our dedicated associates here at SunSetter who help make this all possible.

SunSetter Awnings Company Information