toll free

Malden, MA
toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

We had an 18 foot motorized awning installed and are 100% satisfied. Installation was well accomplished by experienced and courteous technicians. It definitely keeps our patio from heating up early in the morning. So far we have had no issues since installation. Everything is working as advertised.

We got a 14' wide awning that extends to about 11 1/12 feet. It has lights that dim and it will close automatically if it gets windy. We love it. The local SunSetter people were the best. From the moment we decided to buy an awning to the completed it was a great experience.

We have had a manual SunSetter for 10 years - excellent in western exposure in Florida. Recently lost our shade trees in other part of back exposure due to hurricane; we had 2 motorized sunsetters installed over our completely exposed western deck. This is pure Florida western sun exposure. (Very hot!) We are very happy with our awnings. They should help immensely this summer. Very nice looking; well installed. Would definitely recommend.

We are very pleased with our awning (Auto 8x16 feet) and it is very attractive with the brick and the composite decking. I have purchased a grey wicker conversation set to go with it. I purchased a outdoor 5x7 carpet to go with it. It is more brown than I thought and not sure how it is going to look. But we are real pleased with the awning and would do it again.

We are absolutely HAPPY with our retractable awning. Sure cuts down on the sun/heat keeping air conditioning from running so often. Great to get outdoors in the morning & have my coffee/read papers. Also during sprinkling rain I am still able to go outside. Highly recommend this company, service was wonderful for the inexperienced fellow that installed it. Phone personal extremely helpful to get it installed correctly & much easier than originally thought. Sunsetter deserves 10 stars. Thank you.

On completing the installation, the front bar connectors were asymmetric and resisted adjustment even after speaking a factory service rep. When fully extended, the front bar hangs lower on the right than the left (when facing the house).

Resolution In Progress

SunSetter Awnings

We apologize if we did not set the proper delivery expectation with you when you placed your order on 4/27. We quote a 2 week delivery time frame on new fabric orders. The good news is your fabric was delivered to you on 5/11. Until the order ships our Customer Service agents do not know at which step in production your order is. The Owners Corner is a resource for customers to check the status of their orders. I can see why you had difficulty accessing the Owners Corner and I will reach out to you privately with instructions to access the Owners Corner. You have been a long time customer of ours and we value your opinion. Thanks for taking the time to make us aware of your experience.

Original review: May 4, 2017

I ordered replacement fabric for my awning a week ago. I was told I could find shipment information in the "owner's corner". This has never worked. I have now heard 3 different dates the fabric will ship but so far nothing has happened. I even offered to pay for expedited shipping myself today when I found out it still has not shipped. The customer service agents do not seem to know what is going on or why it has not yet even been "prepared to ship". Very poor service and communication is inconsistent and incomplete.

Got my SunSetter in decent time, but from then on it was a nightmare... still is. No SunSetter installation in my area. Really? I live in Florida!!! Why no installation here? So, I had to hire a crew to put it up. Instructions were easy enough, got it up... 2 holes in the awning. Contacted SunSetter, they said I would have to send it back in order to get a new one. Had to have the crew back to take it off, more expense. Got package from SunSetter, NOT the awning, but a weather cover to put over it. Called SunSetter, let them know they sent the wrong piece, they said they would send the right one with postage to send back the wrong one and send the awning back. Received the right one finally after waiting a very long time. Had the crew back out, more expense. Put the new awning on, and it was good.

SunSetter had put 5 shipping labels in with the corrected shipment, so I called them to ask which I should use for the 2 packages I needed to send back… was told that I didn't need to send the large awning back. Now mind you, I had to fold this 20-foot awning to fit into this small box, and tape it up to get it ready, and I am disabled. So, I threw it in the trash. Disgusted. Why in the world would they sell a 20-ft awning without an automatic roll out/roll in feature? They boasted about how easy it would be to do manually... NOT. It is a pain each and every time I use it. You would think that after paying well over $2000.00 for a product that you would have a better result. No, I am NOT happy with my purchase at all. And now to top it off, it is already coming off the wall. This was professionally put up on a brick wall. Did I say I was NOT happy?

SunSetter Awnings

Thank you for taking the time to offer a review of your awning. We will reach out to your place of purchase on your behalf and request that they contact you as to make an adjustment on your awning. It may be that they only adjusted how far the awning would open due to the location of the tree. That adjustment is made using the remote control on your awning. We'd be happy to walk you through that over the phone if you'd like, or you can follow the steps in Appendix A in your Owners Manual.

Original review: May 4, 2017

Ordering the Sunsetter 15' X 10'2" Awning through the local dealer (Authority Home Solutions) went exactly as planned. Awning arrived as scheduled and I notified the dealer who arranged immediate installation. Two installers arrived and in short order installed the awning and accessories. They had to adjust some to avoid a tree on opening which was acceptable. I removed the tree and now going on 3 weeks for follow up adjustment. I would highly recommend this awning to all my neighbors but somewhat upset with the follow on support.

Resolution In Progress

SunSetter Awnings

We are so sorry to hear of your disappointment with your awning. It sounds like a motorized awning may be a better fit for you than the manually operated Vista awning. We have an upgrade kit to add a motor to your existing awning. Once your awning is motorized we offer an optional accessory called a Wireless Wind Sensor that will close your awning automatically when the wind picks up. We will reach out to you privately to discuss your options. We want to see you happy with your awning and to be able to enjoy it for years to come.

Original review: May 1, 2017

My SunSetter is okay. It's not what I thought it would be. A little hard to wind up. I'm not sure if I would recommend it to others. I can't open it if the wind is blowing because it gets to shaking the awning, and the wind gets underneath the awning and lifts it up really bad. I got this awning to help keep the sun out of our family room and to drop the temperature in this room. I hope I get to find out if the awning does the trick.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunSetter Awnings?

Consumer Increased Rating!

SunSetter Awnings

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We will be sure to share your comments with your place of purchase and their installation team. If we can be of any assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.

Original review: April 30, 2017

The Awning itself is very nice. The problem we did have was that the installer did not bring the ordered awning cover on the date of the installation. It took about six weeks for this Awning cover to be delivered.

Rich our salesperson is awesome, always ready to help you. We bought the awning first and my daughter said it would be better to get the wind sensor, they have one and so glad we did. Then we had a neighborhood gathering but not enough light. So once again called Rich and he ordered it for us and installed it. The next night I had my friends over for dinner in our yard and totally enjoyed the lights and great company for a few hours into the night. Wow, we all love it! Thanks Rich & SunSetter Awnings.

We purchased a motorized retractable awning in Wheat color a few months ago. We absolutely love it. It does exactly what it is suppose to do, including retracting itself when it is real windy. Our experience with this purchase was great. Everyone we dealt with at the Gulf Breeze, FL location was friendly, knowledgeable, and courteous. I highly recommend their product & Gulf Breeze location. In fact, I have already recommended them to our neighbors and a friend.

We have had our awning for just two months, however we can already see how it will help this summer. We have received several positive comments from neighbors and family. We have recommended others to buy, especially the modernized wind sensor and the LED lights.

We did comparison pricing and SunSetter was very well priced compared to the competition. Our dealer was fabulous, responsive to our questions and concerns, and did a great job with the installation. We love our new awning...it's exactly what we needed. It has turned our patio from unused to often used!

I received my awning in less than two weeks, very easy and accurate instructions for install, I did it myself! I changed my mind and I did not want the lighting and was able to return it for a fast easy no hassle return. Extremely functional. The whole neighborhood is in awe, we highly recommend it. Thank you so much SunSetter!!

I waited 2 years before I bought my awning. I'm not one to drop $3,000 without thinking about it for a while (though I now admit 2 years was a bit long). Anyway, pulled the trigger on the awning and I love it. It blocks the sun perfectly, it operates smoothly with the remote, and it's now possible for me to enjoy the deck I've had for 8 or 9 years but was barely using. I liked the awning so much, I purchased a La-Z-Boy outdoor recliner just so I could enjoy sitting out there even more. Now my only regret is I didn't get the awning 2-feet wider, but that's what happens when you're cheap. Bottom line - love my purchase. So far worth every dollar.

We chose the XL 18 footer to cover our deck out back and love the increased shade covering! The only complaint we have is the periodic clicking sound it makes when the wind picks up and flutters the awning but, besides that announce, we appreciate the overall quality of the product.

Factual basis uncertain

SunSetter Awnings

We are sorry to hear about your recent experience with our Customer Care team. We will reach out to you privately to offer our assistance.

Original review: April 17, 2017

Called to get a customers awning replaced for ins co. They told me unless you was the person who bought the awning they couldn't help you. You must be the original owner or you can't buy replacement Fabric For top. Isn't that very stupid. They are very hard to deal with after the original sale. Terrible customer service. I will buy one and will tell others the same.

SunSetter Awnings

We are sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction with your awning purchase. We will reach out to you privately to offer our assistance.

Original review: April 14, 2017

I paid $450 for the alum. hood. I was under the impression it would completely enclosed the awning, it doesn’t, the front is completely open, a waste of $450. The electric cord was to be “inconspicuous”. It isn't, it hangs against the side of the house, it looks like crap. Plus the worker knocked a quarter size hole in the house siding. And I paid $3500 for this. If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't buy it.

SunSetter Awnings

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with UPS Freight and SunSetter Products. We appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns. We will reach out to you privately to offer our assistance.

Original review: April 7, 2017

Motorized Awning -- No response from Customer Service, via email, notifying product delivered w/o appointment. Packages left in carport, standing on ends that were dented, tubes punctured and torn... Luckily, upon opening all items fine BUT no response from Customer Service on "lack of delivery notice and container conditions." Square Bar Fitting for Hood Attachment not a match for Open End of Square Bar (had to file to fit); some of the DVD installation instructions do not match written instruction (out-of-date) and had to replace a mounting bolt that had improper manufactured threads. AFTER all this and finally mounting product it seems to work fine. Dissatisfied due to lack of pre-delivery date/time notification and follow-up customer service. I have recommended to brother in Sacramento, California not to purchase product because of these issues.

SunSetter Awnings

We are sorry to hear that you are disappointed with your awning purchase. Did you reach out to your place of purchase to discuss your concerns? We will reach out to your privately to learn more and offer our assistance.

Original review: April 7, 2017

Overpriced. Too expensive for what you get. Don't like getting letters trying to sell additional warranties. When I called with a question the person at your office acted as if I was bothering him! Much, much overpriced for what you get. Have made two deals with Sunsetter; my first and last!

We couldn't be happier with our awning. From the time the guy came out to quote us and the time we had it installed was only 2 weeks! The installation went without a hitch. We have already recommended it to relatives who are looking to shade their patios.

Factual basis uncertain

SunSetter Awnings

We are sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction with your SunSetter Awning. We at SunSetter take great pride in our product and especially in the satisfaction of our customers. The issue with the fabric drooping can easily be corrected by setting the open stop limit so the awning will stop opening before the fabric starts to droop. We’ll be happy to walk you through that process over the phone. We are mailing you a copy of your Owner's Manual in case you misplaced yours. Appendix A in the Owner's Manual outlines the steps necessary to reset the open and closed stop limits. It can all be done using your remote control. You will also find those instructions on the Owner’s Corner of our website.

We do not recommend leaving the awning open and unattended. Allowing rainwater to collect on the awning fabric would be a problem. The weight of the water could damage the awning, it would stretch the fabric and it could cause personal injury. As long as you don’t allow water to collect on the fabric and you use your Wireless Wind Sensor you should be fine. In the evenings close the awning with a click of a button.

We will reach out to your place of purchase on your behalf and ask them to contact you. Our recommendation is to call us and let us help you reset the stop limits. If you feel that you need assistance from your place of purchase you can discuss that with them when they call.

Original review: March 31, 2017

I have had awning about two years. We paid to have Sunsetter or professionally install it. A few days after the arm caught the fabric and almost ripped it off. They came and adjusted it but it still was hanging low. They came back and adjusted it higher but said I couldn't leave it out all the time because it will continue to sag. I was very unhappy with this because the salesperson said that I could leave it out all the time. I was trying to decide between the awning or building a permanent roof over the porch. I specifically asked the sales person if it could be left out all the time and he said "YES". That was reason the chose this awning.

I felt like the product was totally misrepresented. I spent over $3000 for this awning and he is not doing what I needed to do which is block the sun during the day all day. Probably due to the fact that I leave it out more than I should it's constantly creaking even with the slot is win and hanging lower and lower. I totally regret not going with the permanent roof over my porch.

I am very happy with my awning. It looks beautiful and does the job of blocking the sun from my patio. I would and have recommended this product to friends and family. The installation was quick and the guys cleaned up afterwards.

Still haven't experience the awning in operation due to a bent roller possibly during shipment. Reported to SunSetter on day we were installing awning we noticed the roller was bent. Sent photos to SunSetter. After SunSetter evaluated photos, a replacement roller was ordered and shipped to me. I am still awaiting the roller delivery so we can replace bent roller.

Other than it getting installed a month late due to shipping, we are very happy with the installation and product. Love the automatic wind sensor that closes the awning to protect it. I would work with them again in the future with certain agreed upon terms.

I'm looking to replace a 16 year old Sun Setter awning. It's still working GREAT but we have redesigned our porch and now have a door on the side that used to be a window and need a model with horizontal supports. The design has changed since 2000 when bought this one, but the solid construction and original laminate material still in good condition. The "old" design took a couple minutes to open and close. It appears the new crank system will be easier. Nevertheless this one has done great and endured many "accidental" exposures to big winds, rain and even occasional snow and held up very well. Well made item :) I'm looking to buy a new 900XT (12 ft model). Arlington Va location btw.

SunSetter Awnings

We are happy to hear you enjoy your SunSetter Awning. We are very sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction with your local awning dealer. We will reach out to the local dealer on your behalf and ask that they contact you to work towards a resolution.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2017

I am very pleased with my Sunsetter Awning; however, I would think twice about purchasing this product again, solely because I would not want to work with the dealer who installed the product again. In my opinion, he was extremely unprofessional for these reasons: 1) After my awning had been installed, I had to ask the dealer to wash down my deck carpet (it was filthy with dirt and debris caused by them); he was planning on leaving when I requested he do this.

2) He said he could not find the siding that needed to be replaced with the installation and asked me to pay everything except for $500 and that when the siding was installed, I could pay the remaining $500. He said he would be back in a week or so to finish the job. I had to make several phones calls (5 weeks later, he told me the summer was the busiest time of year for him and he wouldn't be able to get to me for another week or two).

3) He finally installed the siding in early September. Again, when I came home from work that night, I looked at the siding and it was filthy with dirty handprints (I couldn't even reach it if I tried because I was too high). So again, I asked the dealer to come back and clean the siding. 4) The icing on the cake was after he came back to do this, they had gotten my brand new deck furniture cushions dirty, which I have been unable to clean! I was, and continue to be thoroughly disgusted with the amount of time I had to follow up with this dealer to make sure the awning installation was done professionally and was beyond ticked off that he ruined my deck cushions. Sunsetter is an expensive product. I expect far better service.

We have had our SunSetter for several months and we truly have enjoyed it. We have been able to sit outside more than we usually have. Our new grandson loves the outdoors but he burns easily from the sun, so he has also enjoyed it to the full. We are so glad we got the little extras such as lights, we have received several compliments and hopefully someone will get a new SunSetter because of our recommendations.

We are pleased with our awning, but our experience with customer support was not that great. Mo ** from "Shades of Cool" in Independence was the sales rep. He really didn't seem to know much about what he was selling and wanted us to pay an additional $350 to have some of his crew come and help with installation. We declined installation, due to the cost, and got everything put together ourselves with the help of some friends. We have had problems getting the LED lights to fit in the brackets that were supplied so still do not have working lights under the awning. At the time of sale, Mr. ** told us he didn't even know you could put the LED lights on an Oasis model, so we have not called him back for help.

I called customer service and they told me to watch the video on the website, which does not show a clear picture of how to get the light bars into the clamps/brackets. They sent another package of brackets, but they appear to be the same as the ones that came with the awning. Other than our issue with the lights, we do love the awning. If you have anyone else in our geographic area that could assist us in getting the lights installed, we would appreciate it. However, we don't feel we should have to pay several hundred dollars for this service.

Love the shade color! The exposed wires are unsightly, though. Also wish the aluminum cover was white color instead of cream. The remote control is not programmed right and the lights keep shutting off in just a few minutes after I turn them on. The manual is confusing on how to re-program the remote. I didn't shop around to compare before I bought this product and I now regret that.

SunSetter Awnings

We are sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction with the purchase of your awnings. We see you purchased two awnings in July and another in September, from a local independent awning dealer. We will reach out to you privately to gain a better understanding of your concerns.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2016

Listening skills lacking. I remain dissatisfied with the order of SunSetter Awnings. The owner measured inaccurately to accommodate the size of the home. The issue may be the standard size of the awnings, which limits the ability to fit nonstandard homes. If you need a perfect fit, use Liberty Awnings. Otherwise, seek a distributor that will listen to your needs.

No response received

SunSetter Awnings

We are very sorry to hear about the difficulties you recently experienced with SunSetter Products. We at SunSetter we take great pride in our product quality, our service, and especially in the satisfaction of our customers. We regret any unpleasant experience that a customer may have. We will reach out to you privately and work towards a resolution.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2016

Very Poor. Forced to give you at least one star, but deserve zero. Less than two months after the awning was installed, it stopped closing correctly. Contacted Sunsetter about having it corrected and was advised that we needed to troubleshoot the problem ourselves. This was a waste of $2,700.00. No support by Sunsetter at all. Guess they figure they already have their money.

I bought a 10' by 12' Oasis free-standing awning with power operation. I did the assembly myself. Delivery was somewhat slow, but the unit was packed well and assembly was straightforward. I hired a couple day-workers to help and it only took about 45 minutes. I am impressed with the quality of the unit. The awning material is first-rate and the power operation is smooth. I have not used the Oasis much this year, so I have no opinions about its durability, but it looks as if it will last well. One of the end-caps on the awning was missing after assembly and some small damage was done to the corner of the awning material. I do not know if the damage was done during assembly or during shipping. The end-cap is a small part about 2 inches square. At any rate SunSetter supplied a replacement part at no cost. I would rate the Oasis at four-and-a-half stars. And, if it holds well up through next summer, I will recommend it to friends.

SunSetter Awnings Company Profile