4.54/5
Based on 414 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Malden, MA

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

SunSetter Awnings offer both manual and motorized awnings that provide shade and protection, transforming your patio or deck. Our awnings provide cool shade that can help in those hot and humid months and helps keep the inside of your home cooler by blocking the sun's rays from coming in your windows and doors.

We want to provide you with the highest quality awnings at the absolute best prices. We provide a free in-home consultation and are committed to a long-term relationship with our customers.

A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Last updated: April 19, 2018

861 SunSetter Awnings Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 19, 2018

We didn't hesitate to get an awning here in Kentucky when we needed to get one since we have two SunSetter awnings in the yard that we have had for close to 10 years and we have been very happy with them. We got the electric one and we got it through one of their vendors here and our interaction with their rep was very positive and the installation was no problem. I was able to use the awning at the end of last season and it was great. I like that it provides shade to the back of the building and keep the inside cooler. That's a nice benefit. Also, having the automatic retractor retract before I would retract it is a nice feature to have.

The quality of the product is good. The two that we've had for close to 10 years only had damage to the cover that I put over during the winter. The birds love nesting behind it and they were picking some threads then trying to use that as material for the nest building. I don't use the cover anymore but it's been fine. But other than that, the product itself has held up well. I like having it. Get one if you need an awning.

Get expert buying tips about Awnings delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 18, 2018

We bought a house that has a manual crank awning and we really like it but we had to manually crank it out so we decided to go with an electric one. And years ago, I worked for ATA Transport. They were out of New Jersey, close over to where the twin towers went down, and they used a lot of SunSetter awnings and I knew about it too. We called SunSetter and we really like their product. It's doing us a good job.

The person who installed it and SunSetter's representative were both nice. The rep explained to us about what we could get with it, what we wanted, and what would be good for our application. He measured it and said that the awning that we had could be expanded another foot and a half and it wouldn't have any problems. He was very helpful. He ordered a color for us -- it was like green and white. We just got it towards the end of the summer.

I got a 30-foot enclosed car trailer to hold my classic car in and he went over and looked at it and told me that my application would work on a car trailer and would stir away from it. We did put one on our car trailer too. But he said that the application for the home wouldn't work with the car trailer. He was honest and truthful with us. He was really good. Plus, his friend who he contracted and put it up for us was professional too. We have nothing but good things to say about SunSetter.

We like the awning. We were able to use it for a couple of times last year. It was getting late and we're older. We get around, go to other places quite a bit, but we had the awnings out several times to enjoy it as long as we didn't put up the light kit. We didn't like it. The guy who put it up told us about it. It's a promotional thing so it's not like we paid extra for something we didn't use. We also purchased an extra helm that protects the awning. We could see where that works really well.

Original review: April 15, 2018

The sun was awfully bright and hot in our living room. We shopped around for awnings and we found out that as Costco members, there were some discounts for SunSetter that made it a bit more lucrative for us to go to that direction. Plus, SunSetter is much more well-known than some of the other awning companies that we were investigating.

We went directly through SunSetter and we had their representatvie come out to do an estimate. He was an older gentleman and was very nice and informative. He's a third-party contractor and he has been doing it for a long time. Then, we let him know about the discount from Costco, which he matched. So, the initial interaction was fine as well as with the installation. We got the full boat from SunSetter and now the exterior awning overhangs the balcony which is off of our living room. Everything went fine as expected and so far, so good. We got the awning during the late summer and we’ve only had it up for about eight months. In two more years, the awning will do a whole lot more as the hot weather comes in. We use the awning all the time and I would recommend SunSetter to others.

Original review: April 15, 2018

The front of my mobile home was very hot so I decided to put an awning on the front of my house. SunSetter have a very, very nice material. And their reps were very professional. The installation also went niceIy. I just noticed my remote control, maybe it has the battery low because it doesn't work. So I was gonna call for the new battery or how can I do with the remote control. I will recommend SunSettter.

Original review: April 15, 2018

I’ve had two humongous trees removed from the backyard that were old and the trees were leaning toward the house. I was concerned that if there was a storm, they may come down and end up right on the house. I had those taken down and in that process, the trees that had been blocking a lot of the sun were gone. I was out pedaling on my motor one day, cleaning it up after I mowed and I was right in front of the shaft doors. The sun was just glaring down and it was really hot. I thought I could put an awning here and eliminate some of that. My house is light colored outside. The sun was reflecting off there and it’s a two-story house. Spending time down there at ground level in that particular spot was just brutally hot. My neighbor got their awnings installed first and that’s really where I got the idea. I had been looking at them, talking about them, and he had been talking about them. I wanted a color screen that would go with the house.

I went online, got SunSetter's number and called them. When I first called the guy from SunSetter, we sort of connected. He seemed like a really nice guy. His son and another worker did the installation. They were here when they said they would be here. They were very pleasant and they did a great job. I had an awning put over my deck and one over my shaft door down in the basement. I had to be out of town on the day that the installers came and I told my neighbor's wife, “Look, you know my color screen, you know what colors I like, why don’t you just pick out a good color?” I don’t want anything light. I wanted it to look good. She did a great job picking the colors and it worked out great. And my neighbor is pleased with his awning also. I really enjoyed both the awnings. You can retract them and I had them put the light strips on the one on the deck. It just makes a real serene setting in the evening. Even if the sun is not out, it's pleasant sitting back there.

The people that I’ve played golf with, during the cooler months when the leaves are going in the winter, they can see my awnings from the tee box and they’ll ask me about them and how hard are they to roll out. The awnings got a remote so you just push the button. Then, if we have a big wind storm and they are out, they’ll automatically roll back up and we tested that. I typically don’t leave them out, unless I’m going to be out there. But if I forget and leave them out, and we had a huge wind storm and they start shaking from the wind, they will automatically roll back up and that works. You can test that with your hand and start shaking. They’ll roll back in so you don’t have to worry about it. I can’t say enough about the professionalism and the service SunSetter has provided. I’ve had absolutely no problems with the awnings and I had them both put it in last year.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunSetter Awnings?

Original review: April 15, 2018

We had just put in a new brick patio and we needed some shade out there. We priced awnings and we thought we liked them. The SunSetter team was great. They were very polite and informative. They were also on time for the installation and they seemed to know what they were doing. They’ve done a terrific job and they really gave us a good instruction about using it. I would strongly recommend SunSetter Awnings.

We're too old to use crank and the motorized version is a godsend. We use a remote with the awning and it is easy to use. When you get older, you don’t need anything that’s gonna make more work for you and this simplifies putting umbrellas. We use the awning quite frequently when the weather is behaving. We usually have a glider and table and chairs in the patio, and we thoroughly enjoy sitting out there.

Original review: April 14, 2018

The SunSetter team was very good. It was too hot to sit in our outdoor area and I got a motorized 10-foot awning then I got the windbreak today as well. The installers did everything they were supposed to that was on the list. They explained things, leveled the awning and put it to the size I wanted. The installation experience was good and I would tell others to go for it as well.

Original review: April 14, 2018

We had a lot of sun hitting our back deck and we realized that we couldn’t get through the summer without an awning. And SunSetter seemed like the only suitable option. We got the automatic awning and their team was good. The installation went well and they were efficient. But once everything was done, we were told, “Here’s the warranty. It’s a sliding scale.” Only 80% is covered after a year and only 60% after two years. After five years, there’s no warranty at all. That really bothered us because we invested a lot of money in it and that’s not what we signed up for. That really pissed us off. The person had put on his salesman cap because he wanted the project and that's typical with companies these days. They just throw fast ones left and right, and that was one of them.

My wife and I were also pretty upset with how the issue was handled. I called SunSetter and they told me that it was clearly stated but it was not. We went over everything with the guys who installed it and it was never mentioned once. Because of that, I find it very difficult to go ahead and suggest SunSetter to any of my other friends looking for an awning even though the actual product is fine so far. Instead, I would tell them to find some place that offered a better warranty.

Original review: April 14, 2018

I got a new motorized awning from SunSetter Awnings and their team was very helpful. Everything has been wonderful.

Original review: April 13, 2018

We needed an awning for our deck and we happened to see the SunSetter advertised on television. The rep was fine but it bothered me at the beginning that was he was late. We had an early appointment and he ended up calling and said he had gotten tied up on another job and he couldn't get here until after 7:00 that evening. He didn't call until he was ready to come and I thought that was a little inconsiderate. But we have had the awning for probably six months now and it looks and works fine. We were satisfied with SunSetter Awnings and I would recommend it.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I saw the awning on TV and I said, “I would like to have one of those.” I used to keep on wishing that I had it and I could get it. This time, I just went on and purchased one. I like SunSetter and the team was good. Two guys came out here to install my motorized awning but they didn’t get it here for the last month before winter so I haven't used it that much. Still, I like it and everybody who sees it likes it as well. I’m satisfied with it.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I bought a motorized awning from SunSetter, and my experience with the SunSetter team was very good. I liked that they were professional. I had another company but they never even came out to address the cost. I’d tell my friends to get an awning from SunSetter as well.

Original review: April 13, 2018

We had a SunSetter awning previously. The awning that we had was still usable but it didn’t fit in the space that we wanted to put it in so I bought a new one. I ordered it online and they referred us to a local dealership. A rep came out and confirmed the measurements and the sizes. And then a week later, he showed up here. I got the motorized, 20-foot version and we chose from the colors that were available on the website. The installation was easy to do. I did it myself and then I called in some help to lift the whole thing into place and get it hung on the brackets. It took less than four hours to complete. The awning made it more comfortable when the sun is high in the sky in the middle of the day. It provides a nice, shady area. We used to use it quite a bit before and we still do. It’s an excellent product and simple to install.

Original review: April 12, 2018

We purchased a SunSetter Awning to keep the sun from shining in the back door. The installers put it up really quick and showed me everything I needed to do with it. Their customer service team were very, very nice. They were on top of everything. SunSetter is expensive but they were fine. We haven’t been able to use it much because of the rain or snow.

Original review: April 12, 2018

An awning was the perfect solution for a sunny spot and SunSetter was referred to us by somebody. We got the automatic awning with the wind sensor over a year ago and the team that came in was courteous, friendly, nice and efficient. They got it taken care of and they cleaned up after themselves. We had a slight issue with the awning though. When it closed, it slammed shut. It just needed to be adjusted and they came back and took care of it. I would absolutely refer them to others. The SunSetter awning worked for us and it was a good experience.

Original review: April 12, 2018

We have such hot sun out here. We have a pergola but it doesn’t protect us from the sun so we couldn’t sit on our patio. We were happy with the SunSetter's salesperson and their products. We purchased the motorized awning and we love the LED lights and all that went with it which we paid extra for. The awning blocks all the sun and cools the patio off. And in the evening, we like the lights.

The rep that I spoke with was very helpful. He had to come back out and talked to a guy about lowering our pergola even after it was set up. Also, the installers did a very good job. They showed us what we needed to do and everything that they did. They were congenial. SunSetter reps were very upfront. They told us all the ins and outs. They gave us a little bit of a break on it because our time was very close to being lapsed. Then they said we don’t have to worry about that. We didn’t know there was that and we didn’t ask for it but they told us about it. I would tell a friend that I’m very pleased with SunSetter Awnings all the way around.

Original review: April 11, 2018

My deck faces south all day long and an awning would be a good solution. I had a neighbor who had one and was pleased with it and got their motorized awning. The installation went very smoothly. But it’s very windy so we’ve had to bungee it to keep the scalloped edge from slapping around. That’s the one thing that needed to be adjusted. So I would recommend SunSetter but I also would recommend to tie down the exposed scalloped edge because of the wind and the noise.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I had just moved into my house and I was getting a lot of sun on my deck and I wanted some shade. When my husband was alive, we had checked into an awning a long time ago, but it didn’t suffice for us in the house that we had because it wouldn’t have covered the deck the way we would like. But the SunSetter motorized awning I got has worked out fine. The installation guys were very congenial. I like them. My SunSetter awning is a very nice item. It serves a purpose and I like it. It’s very easy to operate, too. And if it is what my friends are looking for, then I would tell them to go for it.

Original review: April 11, 2018

My deck was wide open and I couldn't even use my it. I couldn't walk out there without an awning as it would burn my feet. I saw SunSetter advertised in some mail and I asked somebody that had one, too. I got the motorized awning from them and I like it very much. It's green with white stripes. And the installation was done very well. The awning is there when I need it. And although I can't use it in the wintertime, I can use it in the rest of the seasons, summer, spring and fall.

Original review: April 10, 2018

We wanted to get parts for our old awning but we ended up buying a new one. We had a good experience with the first one from SunSetter Awnings and so we got a replacement from them which has blue and white stripes. I bought the biggest one that was made which was 20 feet wide and 12 feet deep and the automatic kind. We had one of the professionals attach it to the house and the experience was fine but we had a little scheduling difficulty. Ultimately, the installers figured it out and got the job done. The awning is on the sunny side of the house and it’s primarily a summer place so, when the sun is blaring in the midday, the awning is the perfect thing. It’s a really good product and we’ve had a great experience with it.

Original review: April 10, 2018

The original company I had didn’t perform the way I wanted it, so I got my money back because they wanted half down. Then I went with SunSetter and they put the awning in. The installers were good and they knew what they were doing. And the awning has only been extended once since it was put in. I'd recommend them.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I was remodeling my front yard and backyard and I had to weigh the retractable awning from SunSetter. Their rep was great and the installation went well. I've had the awning for five months and it has been great and I recommend SunSetter Awnings.

Original review: April 9, 2018

The house came with an awning but it was a crank-out type. I have multiple sclerosis so I was unable to open it, so I went with the motor one. SunSetter Awnings has very well put together commercials and an excellent rating. They told me it would take about 10 days for me to get the awning. But when I asked who comes out to put it on, they told me that they couldn't install it and that I had to hire a handyman. That was disappointing. I had to buy the awning then I had to pay someone to put it in. I had to pay twice and it also cost me an extra $600 because the old one had to be taken down. The warranty was part of the package but I don’t know how it would work when they didn't install the awning. Obviously there was a miscommunication between how and who installed, but they make a good product.

I like the unit and it works well. I have the lights with the awning too. But I'd like one of those shields that go over the awning. It is on the left side of the house and it gets beaten up really wicked by the wind. Otherwise, the awning is doing everything that I wanted it to do. My backyard faces west so as the sun goes down, it's right there in our faces. The nice thing about the awning is it has a little lower overhang so it blocks out the sun until it is just on the horizon. It also helps with the coolness.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I needed something to stop the sun from doing whatever and I kept seeing SunSetter things on television. I purchased a motorized awning, and the gentleman who installed it was wonderful. The installation was very well-done. I'd tell my friends to buy a SunSetter awning.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I picked up a magazine and SunSetter Awnings was in it so I called them up. They sent a guy out and we talked about the awning and the prices. I checked out with Home Depot and their product didn’t seem the same stuff that SunSetter had. It didn’t have the right material that I liked. We bought the SunSetter awning and we’re satisfied with it. It's motorized and attached to the home. It’s 12 feet x 10 feet with red and yellow stripes. The installer came, put it up in about four hours and walked away. I'd tell friends to buy a SunSetter awning if they need it.

Original review: April 9, 2018

When I did an addition to my house, there was a long expanse of space that is on the backyard side. We would need an awning for the shade and also for the looks of the house. I had heard of the SunSetter and a couple of friends had installed them, so I went and looked at theirs and I got their number from somebody who already had one. I made the call, got some information that was sent to me and I opted to get it done while I had some workers here. We got an awning that was 20 feet long and remote controlled. It was delivered and we put it up.

Fortunately, I had carpenters and they put a reinforcement board then took the siding off that they already put on. They may have done extra from what was necessary, but they felt doing it right if we were doing it. It was an easy process if it were just my family doing it but it would not have gotten up so soon or as reliably safe. SunSetter did what they said they would do and the product was satisfactory from quality and expectations. The awning accomplished a couple of purposes and balanced out the expanse we have. It was a very positive experience.

Original review: April 8, 2018

My neighbor put an awning, so that inspired me to do it. Two men from SunSetter Awnings came and they were very nice, congenial and did their job. I have a deck and I have the awning over that, then I have three of SunSetter’s shades that come down automatically. My installation experience was fine and the installers were here for two days. I would tell my friends to talk to SunSetter Awnings because I had a good experience with it. I know somebody else who had it done a year ago and they were pleased with it. I've had it for less than a year but I'm very pleased with it and will certainly recommend it to somebody.

Original review: April 8, 2018

SunSetter Awnings pressured me with advertisements all the time, and I got a good awning. The SunSetter people I worked with were great and the installation was fantastic. I would recommend SunSetter Awnings and it would be a smart purchase.

Original review: April 8, 2018

We were using a little patio table with an umbrella, and it just wouldn’t cover everybody. We needed something more and SunSetter was the only one I considered. We purchased the automatic awning with the remote control and the wind sensor. The product was delivered a little bit late and that wasn't what we expected, but other than that, everything has been great. We were outdoors all the time anyway, but we have more shade now. Our experience working with the SunSetter team has been pretty good and I'd tell my friends to go for it.

Original review: April 8, 2018

The people from SunSetter Awnings were prompt. They did their job, cleaned up and went on their way. It was good an experience as it could be. I got a basic motorized awning in black and white stripe. I used it last year when the sun was high in the afternoon, and everything was good.

SunSetter Awnings expert review by ConsumerAffairs

SunSetter Products is America’s largest awning manufacturer. They specialize in retractable deck and patio awnings, freestanding awnings, window awnings and vertical solar shades. Customers can either buy awnings and install it themselves or have a free in-home consultation with SunSetter dealers who can install the awnings.

• Free consultation: The free consultation gives customers a chance to work directly with a SunSetter dealer and get expert advice on awnings and installation.

• Toll-free customer service line: Customer with issues or questions can receive support from their customer service hotline.

• Wide selection: Being the largest manufacturer of deck and patio awnings in America, SunSetter has a wide selection of awnings, fabrics and colors to choose from.

• Customer service: Because they are a national company with many different offices, their customer service varies depending on location.

• Best for: Homeowners, Business Owners