2. Homeowners
Accredited Partner

Malden, MA

Get Pricing
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.66/5

SunSetter Awnings offer both manual and motorized awnings that provide shade and protection, transforming your patio or deck. Our awnings provide cool shade that can help in those hot and humid months and helps keep the inside of your home cooler by blocking the sun's rays from coming in your windows and doors.

We want to provide you with the highest quality awnings at the absolute best prices. We provide a free in-home consultation and are committed to a long-term relationship with our customers.

SunSetter Awnings Gallery (1)
View More View More
SunSetter Awnings Get Pricing

SunSetter Awnings Reviews

View 5 featured reviews
Original review: March 12, 2020

We've had the awning for less than a year and we've used it a little bit but we have a lot of issues. I was not happy at all with the sales guy I dealt with. He was a real pain. I initially got a price from him and I got another price from Costco but then he went through all his crap about supporting local businesses. So finally, I said that if he would give me the price, I would give him the business. So we went that route. But after that, he was never very happy in dealing with me.

After I got the awning delivered, I asked him some questions and he didn’t really wanna answer. I told him I was having some problems with the motor. It would close but it would not open at the certain length. The guy said he could come out to look at it but it was gonna cost me $500. Then he said he would have to take it all down and put it all back up, and he was gonna bring two guys with him. I went, “Wait a minute." I put the thing up by myself. Why would he need three people to take it down and put it back up again?

So I quit dealing with him and I dealt with SunSetter. I worked with them a lot on the phone and they were very helpful. We got to a point where we couldn’t figure out why it wasn’t working. So they sent me a new motor under warranty with the idea that I would send the old motor back. But we had some personal issues throughout the year last summer so I never swapped the motor out. I still have the new motor and with the old motor, what I have to do is to hit the stop button where I want it to stop, which isn’t the end of the world. Actually, I kinda got used to it. But of course I had to tell everybody else so they don’t turn it on and walk away because it's gonna go to the full extent and then close back up again.

But it's our vacation home and we're not up there that much. So I really don’t have a big complaint with SunSetter. There was an issue but they really worked hard to try to fix it and they sent me a motor. But I would never recommend dealing with that salesman. He even told me he's the only guy in the area. But I found out later that there was another guy who’s actually closer to me. Normally, I would just go with the closest person. He lied about that too. So I'm not happy with him at all. As far as SunSetter though, they stood behind their products.

Get buying tips about Awnings delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 1, 2019

The sun kept getting hotter and hotter on our back. Also, we have a huge patio and we like to entertain, and people kept staying in our house instead of out in the patio. So, we decided to get an awning and we purchased the Pro 17 x 11 Platinum Awning from SunSetter. We looked at three others but we didn’t like their look, style or price. SunSetter's team was wonderful, too. We called their 1-800 number and they told us that there was a local contractor in our area. So, we contacted them. The rep who came out showed us two different sets of fabric then they came up with a newer set. We ended up picking the darker one which is almost brown and I love it. That one’s supposed to be the longer lasting one and the more sun-resistant. It was different than the original and we got the features for the shade added as well as the wind.

We had one issue when they put in the electrical box part and that gave out a couple of months after it was installed. But when we contacted them, the tech was back by the next day. He replaced it right away, so we have no issue with them. So far, the awning is working because people are staying out on the patio now. It’s a excellent investment.

If you’re suffering in the sun in your back or the sun sets in your back, it is a necessity. If you like to enjoy your backyard like I do and you don’t really wanna be closed in to a screen den, you should get it. I also debated on getting a screen den but we’re on water and I like the view. So, I didn’t wanna be closed in. My brother-in-law will be here tomorrow and he’s been complaining about his back. So, I’ll be bragging tomorrow about our SunSetter awning and tell him that it's what he needs to get. I would recommend all of our awning's features as well. I love the LED lights and my husband was really impressed with them. I love the wind sensor, too.

Original review: June 28, 2019

SunSetter was highly recommended and advertised. It also seemed to suit the bill for what I needed. I had a slab that was already poured and was used, but nothing to keep the bright sun on that west side from coming in that’s why I went for it and called them and asked them to come out. They did the installation very quickly. It was done beautifully and I really enjoyed it.

The only thing was that when I paid it, I put SunSetter on my check and then it wasn’t SunSetter, it was somebody else and I didn’t realize it. The guy that did the work did not explain to me or look at the check. Kim, the one that handled it from this end right where I am, wanted me to put it on my card. I said no and that I'm going to wait until the check comes back so I don’t get confused and pay two or three times. She was a little upset about that. It took me a couple of weeks of waiting on the mail and to get that check back before I went to write another one. That was a nuisance having to go back and forth trying to get that check cleared up.

Right now, I'm waiting on somebody to come and shorten one side of the awning or raise it up or tighten it. It is lower by 10 inches than the west side is and then it seemed like after we had heavy rain, it came down more. I don't know what it takes and I have no idea. I hope this person comes and gets my thing fixed. It's been three weeks now. One week, the guy was out, and then he came back and this past Monday, but I haven't seen either a hair of him. But then the issue hasn't prevented me from using the awning. I got the adjustable one or the motorized and on the first night, my cat got up on the desk and rolled it up and I didn’t know it ‘cause I had the drape shut. When I woke up the next morning, it had rained all over everything.

Original review: June 4, 2019

We were looking for an awning for the front of our home and we were receiving little things in the mail from SunSetter. So I called them, and it was kind of strange because they would talk to you directly but you couldn't get any detail from them because the work is done by local contractor. So they contract with certain group to come and install and sell them to you. So it was a little bit hard because we had to hook up with the local person here.

There was a couple of things that made us want to buy SunSetter. One of them was a coupon for $250, and a free awning cover. It was really funny to me because the local company that we had to buy it by didn't want us to use that coupon. They didn't wanna discount it very much at all. They did finally do a little discount which was a weird a little thing they did to changing the tax thing, that we didn't really understand. We talked about the $200 coupon, and it was only at that point that they were willing to give us any kind of discounts. They also said that the coupon covers junk that SunSetter gives us. They literally told us it was junk, that no one's gonna use it. It's terrible. It was odd because they were supposed to be representing SunSetter and they didn't wanna deal with any of the offerings that SunSetter was giving. They just wanted to do their own thing.

We chose the 18x10 awning which had the nicer fabric. It’s motorized as well with the remote, so that was nice. The installers were really great with the installation. It was perfect. This acrylic awning is gorgeous and lovely, but underneath it is very, very warm. We chose it because it was going to be less fadable by the sun and their rep told us this was a much better choice. But I'm starting to wonder if maybe it would have been a better choice to do something that has a little more air throughout the fabric. It's pretty warm staying under there. So it makes a good shade, but we’re getting more heat. And that's something that people really should be told about if they choose this heavier acrylic fabric. In general, we're very satisfied with SunSetter.

Original review: June 2, 2019

Our SunSetter awning came down with broken rafters. This has no reflection on the salesperson, but we've been waiting to repair and put it back up because of the rain. And it has not been done yet. It's laying in my garage. The thing that automatically recalls it did not work during a rainstorm. So, when I woke up in the morning, there was water on it, and it was standing about 3 feet above the ground instead of 6 or 7 feet up high. So, I called and the guy that installed it came out. When they installed it, they put two bolts and two rafters on one side. And they only used one on the other side instead of two on both sides. So, we both felt that it was not installed properly. But he tightened it to see if he could get it, and I was in the house when he was doing this. And when he tightened it, I could hear this sound and all three of the rafters that it was hooked to cracked. They can be replaced and Dan and I had talked about it a couple of times.

The last time I talked to him, I said, "I think I would just like to have my money back. I don't really like the experience." So, I don't know what he's doing about it. I don't know if he's even reported this. I don't know how to proceed. I didn't realize how windy it gets out here. I only moved here about eight months ago. And I couldn't tell them that because I hadn't experienced a winter here. But now that I have, I don't think I want it up. It just doesn't fit this type of area. And the salesperson has been very nice, but he's offering to come out and make the repairs himself. I don't want him to do that. I want a professional contractor to do it because I'm gonna sell this house in about three to four months, and I have to be able to say it's structurally sound.

If it wasn't in this area, I would tell a friend to get SunSetter. They responded to me. It hasn't been an unpleasant experience. It's just that the issue is not resolved. Now, that I've not had it up, and after this long timeframe, I would rather just have my money back. It's not SunSetter's fault. I think they're good company. I used them because I've heard of them before. And in fact, one of the houses I almost bought in Riverside instead of coming out here had one of the awnings. And I loved it. You just push a button. It goes out. You can pull it back if you want more light in the house. And that's one of the reasons why I did this. But, it doesn't work where I am. I'd recommend SunSetter to a friend.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunSetter Awnings?

Original review: April 29, 2020

SunSetter's reputation and quality of material were the reasons we went with them. The rep was knowledgeable, friendly, and did the job. The installers did a good job.

Original review: April 29, 2020

We had a SunSetter awning many years ago and it did well. My wife’s first husband didn’t do the best job in installing it so, it didn’t last and since he did the installation, it was not under warranty. We enjoyed having it but it was time to replace it. The salesperson was knowledgeable and polite, and this time, the installation went well.

Original review: April 28, 2020

We purchased a SunSetter for like a long-term care facility and everybody- the staff as well as the residents- was elated. Our patients are residents and they go outside and enjoy the patio. Before, we had to have our maintenance crew put up poles and a tent, which would up all summer. The SunSetter's functionality really attracted us. We get winds every afternoon and it's nice that the awning retracts if necessary. They love the overall product.

Original review: April 28, 2020

I had seen SunSetter Awnings in action on houses before and I always thought they were pretty well set up. The man who sold it to me was a very nice person. He has a crew that installed it and they did a nice job. I bought a 17-foot long awning. It’s got a shield over the whole works and it’s all electric, but you can crank it too. Both ends of the arrangement were good, the people, the man who sold it to me, the representative that installed it, plus the company when I called back for a question.

Original review: April 27, 2020

I had awnings on the camping trailers I had in years and I always enjoyed them. I get up in the morning, go outside, have a coffee with the dog and out camping. I needed an awning over my patio here and the SunSetter price sounded good at first but it ended up costing me 2,500 for the awning and another 25 to put it up.

The installers did a good job but I think I got screwed on it. I couldn’t believe the total cost of the whole thing. It is a lot of money for an awning. I don’t get where all that cost came from and they took away all the free gifts I was supposed to get. They said they had changed it for the automatic open and shut, and that’s about all I got. I needed shade on one side of my screen room and they could have offered me that instead. Overall I'm happy with it. I like it.

SunSetter Awnings author review by ConsumerAffairs

SunSetter Products is America’s largest awning manufacturer. They specialize in retractable deck and patio awnings, freestanding awnings, window awnings and vertical solar shades. Customers can either buy awnings and install it themselves or have a free in-home consultation with SunSetter dealers who can install the awnings.

• Free consultation: The free consultation gives customers a chance to work directly with a SunSetter dealer and get expert advice on awnings and installation.

• Toll-free customer service line: Customer with issues or questions can receive support from their customer service hotline.

• Wide selection: Being the largest manufacturer of deck and patio awnings in America, SunSetter has a wide selection of awnings, fabrics and colors to choose from.

• Customer service: Because they are a national company with many different offices, their customer service varies depending on location.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team