toll free

Malden, MA
toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Wonderful awning. Fits our needs to a T. Ours has the electric control which we at first decided against because of cost. Would have been a big mistake. It is a 14' X 11' awning. We roll it in and out with ease as needed usually just once out and once in a day. Would highly recommend this product to our friends and neighbors.

We are very pleased with our awning. With outside temperatures of up to 80F, our inside is 12 degrees cooler. Our air conditioner does not run. Above 85F, the air conditioner comes on but not as often as before. The awning operates quietly and looks very nice. The LED lights are just awesome. Our installer was amazed how bright they are and how evenly the patio is lit up.

We purchased a SunSetter Awning after our old awning (which was not a SunSetter) failed this past spring. We learned we had options in size and decided to purchase a new awning that is a better fit for our needs. We liked the color choices and especially the remote control feature. The SunSetter also comes with a feature that will automatically retract it if sudden strong winds come up unexpectedly. The installation crew was clean, neat and efficient and had our new awning up and ready for us to use in about 2 hours. We would strongly recommend a SunSetter awning to our friends and family.

We absolutely love our SunSetter awning. The extra shade makes living in Texas so much more bearable. Plus with Seven grandkids playing under it, it protects them from ALL weather. We enjoy it.

I am very pleased with my new awning. I was advised to have the motorized one as I live high on a hill and it can be very windy at times. The retractable feature takes the awning up before any damage is done. So easy and very attractive with the stripes and scalloped edge.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunSetter Awnings?

We are absolutely HAPPY with our retractable awning. Sure cuts down on the sun/heat keeping air conditioning from running so often. Great to get outdoors in the morning & have my coffee/read papers. Also during sprinkling rain I am still able to go outside. Highly recommend this company, service was wonderful for the inexperienced fellow that installed it. Phone personal extremely helpful to get it installed correctly & much easier than originally thought. Sunsetter deserves 10 stars. Thank you.

I am extremely pleased with the entire experience. The sales representative was knowledgeable, helpful but did not pressure me in any way. He made certain that I was satisfied with the proposed plan before he left me. The awning was delivered and installed as promised. The installation was done efficiently and quietly in less than one hour. All debris was removed and a detailed explanation re: the operation of the awning was provided. The SunSetter has allowed me the ability to utilize my deck throughout the day which was previously impossible due to strong sunlight from approximate 9:30-3pm.

I have used my deck more this summer than in the previous 25 yrs I have lived here! The awning adds to the appeal of my home and the electric one that I purchased is operated literally by pushing one button. Also appreciate the covering which protects the awning when not in use. Blends well with the house. I am very happy that I invested in this product and know that my family, friends and I will enjoy it for years to come.

We have had our SunSetter for several months and we truly have enjoyed it. We have been able to sit outside more than we usually have. Our new grandson loves the outdoors but he burns easily from the sun, so he has also enjoyed it to the full. We are so glad we got the little extras such as lights, we have received several compliments and hopefully someone will get a new SunSetter because of our recommendations.

We are pleased with our awning, but our experience with customer support was not that great. Mo ** from "Shades of Cool" in Independence was the sales rep. He really didn't seem to know much about what he was selling and wanted us to pay an additional $350 to have some of his crew come and help with installation. We declined installation, due to the cost, and got everything put together ourselves with the help of some friends. We have had problems getting the LED lights to fit in the brackets that were supplied so still do not have working lights under the awning. At the time of sale, Mr. ** told us he didn't even know you could put the LED lights on an Oasis model, so we have not called him back for help.

I called customer service and they told me to watch the video on the website, which does not show a clear picture of how to get the light bars into the clamps/brackets. They sent another package of brackets, but they appear to be the same as the ones that came with the awning. Other than our issue with the lights, we do love the awning. If you have anyone else in our geographic area that could assist us in getting the lights installed, we would appreciate it. However, we don't feel we should have to pay several hundred dollars for this service.

Love the shade color! The exposed wires are unsightly, though. Also wish the aluminum cover was white color instead of cream. The remote control is not programmed right and the lights keep shutting off in just a few minutes after I turn them on. The manual is confusing on how to re-program the remote. I didn't shop around to compare before I bought this product and I now regret that.

SunSetter Awnings

We are sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction with the purchase of your awnings. We see you purchased two awnings in July and another in September, from a local independent awning dealer. We will reach out to you privately to gain a better understanding of your concerns.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2016

Listening skills lacking. I remain dissatisfied with the order of SunSetter Awnings. The owner measured inaccurately to accommodate the size of the home. The issue may be the standard size of the awnings, which limits the ability to fit nonstandard homes. If you need a perfect fit, use Liberty Awnings. Otherwise, seek a distributor that will listen to your needs.

SunSetter Awnings

We are very sorry to hear about the difficulties you recently experienced with SunSetter Products. We at SunSetter we take great pride in our product quality, our service, and especially in the satisfaction of our customers. We regret any unpleasant experience that a customer may have. We will reach out to you privately and work towards a resolution.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2016

Very Poor. Forced to give you at least one star, but deserve zero. Less than two months after the awning was installed, it stopped closing correctly. Contacted Sunsetter about having it corrected and was advised that we needed to troubleshoot the problem ourselves. This was a waste of $2,700.00. No support by Sunsetter at all. Guess they figure they already have their money.

I bought a 10' by 12' Oasis free-standing awning with power operation. I did the assembly myself. Delivery was somewhat slow, but the unit was packed well and assembly was straightforward. I hired a couple day-workers to help and it only took about 45 minutes. I am impressed with the quality of the unit. The awning material is first-rate and the power operation is smooth. I have not used the Oasis much this year, so I have no opinions about its durability, but it looks as if it will last well. One of the end-caps on the awning was missing after assembly and some small damage was done to the corner of the awning material. I do not know if the damage was done during assembly or during shipping. The end-cap is a small part about 2 inches square. At any rate SunSetter supplied a replacement part at no cost. I would rate the Oasis at four-and-a-half stars. And, if it holds well up through next summer, I will recommend it to friends.

New home and a very hot summer. This is one of the best choices we have made since we married in 1968. The addition of the SunSetter Awning to our patio. Installers did a great and fast job of getting it up and it works flawlessly. Storm came out of nowhere and it closed itself so no worries about forgetting to retract it. Evenings and when we have guest over we turn on the LED lights and grill or play cards then turn them down and relax to some mood music. We will never regret this purchase and the memories created under this awning.

Residential: We've had a deck for over 25 years. Thanks to our new SunSetter, we are now spending many many hours enjoying the deck. Our cats love it too. Only regret... Wish we had purchased an awning years ago! (Purchased motorized unit with wind sensor.)

We bought our first awning and installed it on the west side of the house before I had installed our deck. We fell in love with the awning immediately because it did so well in reducing the temperature on the inside of the house. I did become disappointed with the awning because the one I bought was too small (11') and had the laminated fabric. After seven years of enjoying that awning (and finally getting the deck installed), I bought a 14' XL awning with woven acrylic fabric, wireless wind sensor, aluminum hood, and front weather breaker panel. We are very well pleased with the upgrade. The product is extremely well built, giving me no maintenance problems all of time we have owned one. Customer service has been superior every time I have felt a need to call for help. I couldn't recommend any product I own more highly.

SunSetter Awnings

We appreciate the opportunity to address your situation. We will reach out to you privately and work with your towards a resolution.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2016

I will never recommend anyone to purchase your shade. I purchased your shade in July. It is still sitting on the ground along my house. This is a nightmare. I wish I never did business with you.

SunSetter Awnings

We are sorry to hear of your experience with your local awnign dealer. We will reach out to you privately to offer assistance.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2016

Rep visits me on 7/22/16. I place an order on 7/22/16. Paid in full on 7-22-16 by check number ** for $1220.00. I told rep I have friends who will install 900xt awning. He told me if anyone other than authorized dealer's contractors installed awning the contract would be void. He tells me the cost would be $600 charge for their people to install. Long story short warranty would not be affected at all whomever installed it. Authorized dealer refuses to give me a refund. He could care less. I am sick of repeating this.

Came to install back in Sept I had to crawl under the arm to be able to stand on my deck. One of the installers told me the awning was not made to fit the type of deck I have. It looked hideous. The awning was too long and not wide enough. The installers insinuated this is how it's gonna be. They never said "Wait we can make this work." Basically they acted like this is it. They even admitted they would not accept this nor pay over $1000 for the awning. Spoke to auth dealer 2 weeks ago and have called him but no return call, no awning. And he cashed my check a few days after I gave check to rep. I told him I am taking this to court and he said "Go ahead. I don't care."

Never in my life have I encountered a business like this nor treated like this. My neighbor was interested in purchasing an awning but she told me after seeing what I have been through and seeing the awning installed... SunSetter is the last place she would purchase an awning. Also the infomercial on tv is very misleading. I thought when I contacted SunSetter at the phone number on the infomercial I would have the 90 day no risk guarantee advertised. Wrong. This company has caused me a great amount of stress and anxiety. I already suffer from anxiety and manic depression. Beware is all I can say.

I am preparing for court. My dealings with this company has physically and mentally made me sick. I am disabled and I receive a set income and am a single mom caring for my 12 year old. SunSetter customer service... waste of time... even an hour long call with a supervisor did not offer help. Another wasted call. Oh and I have spoke with several supervisors at SunSetter. Now More Time Wasted When I Take 3 different companies connected to SunSetters including SunSetter. I have worked for attorneys for 30 Years. I look forward to going to court with my consumer law attorney.

After 20 years of having the sun beating into the living/dining room and our south facing deck too hot to use, we decided to get an electric SunSetter with a wind sensor on it. It is fabulous! We go out often and eat breakfast there and sit and relax. We live in the country, in a hay pasture, and deal with lots of wind--the wind sensor is a life saver--we don't have to worry about it at all. Can't wait for next summer to see the difference in our A/C bills, either. Plus it's such a match in appearance for our house that it looks like it was designed to be there all along.

My unit was an 18 foot awning, motorized and extra length. The installation of the mounting brackets was pretty straightforward. Locating studs was the difficult part. This is a large unit with a weight of about 130 lbs so it should have been a two person installation. I did not have anyone to help so I did it myself. It was difficult but I managed. I also purchased the wind sensor unit which works great so I am pleased with that. Overall, it is a well made unit but it is costly. I looked at others and choose this one because it looked sturdy enough to withstand shore conditions. The material we chose was the heavy woven stripped. With a length this long, it is spliced with heat tape so it will be interesting to see how well these joints hold up in the intense heat of summer.

I do not like the center tube that the covering wraps up on. It is not perfectly straight so it kind of wobbles when extending and contracting. It rubs on the center guide which I don't like. I am not certain if there is an adjustment that can be made. At the moment it is wrapped for the winter with the cover they sent me as a free gift. The clips supplied for the cover are just plastic and I really don't expect them to last. So after spending over $3100.00 on this unit, time will be the test if it was worth the extra dollars to go with SunSetter. I am hoping it will be.

We are extremely pleased with our awning. It allows us to spend more time out on our deck. Had a friend help me install and even though it was heavy it was not difficult to install. Took a couple of hours. Took 4 of us to lift it into place because of the weight (it's a large awning). Sales staff were very helpful when I spoke to them over the phone. Only complaint I have is that there wasn't a local dealer in the north Texas area. It turned out that we didn't need the dealer, but it would have been nice to be able to have the option of an installer and to be able to look at actual samples of materials.

I thought it would be a little wider. The person who measured gave me a spot on the house where it would come to and it is short of that by a foot. My location, my fault, does not help with morning sun. I would take more time determining best location for desired shade before I spend the money again. The automatic function is a must have. Love the ease of operation.

Very professional from sales to installation. The salesman even called to office to see if an ad I had received was a better price than the deals he was familiar with! It wasn't for what we wanted. We love the awning... So easy to use with the remote. Would definitely recommend Sunsetter (and have) to others in our senior community.

A very worthwhile purchase to enhance my home and add to its appearance and liveable space. My deck is HOT during the summer, morning to mid afternoon. This awning saves my deck so we can use the deck the entire day. We love it.

We love our awning. It is high quality, easy to use, fits perfectly, looks great, and provides the shade that we need since there are no trees in the back of our property.

Our SunSetter Awning has saved us money and comfort. It has been very this summer and our home faces west so we were unable to use our deck in the afternoon but now it is comfortable and it also keeps the living room cooler. We really love our SunSetter Awning.

SunSetter Awnings

We are happy to hear you love your awning! We are disappointed to know that you were not happy with the installation service provided by your local independent awning dealer. We will reach out to them on your behalf and ask that they contact you to discuss and rectify your concerns.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2016

Love the awning. The install was and is a fiasco. Parts could have had better placement. They had to come back. The awning slants. The caulking is sloppy. The truck smashed a bottle of touch up paint on the driveway. There's more but you get the idea.

Delivery and installation went very well. Happy with the awning as it eliminates the heat from the sun rays in our family room, thereby keeping the room cooler without turning the air conditioning temperature down. Thank you.

We like the Sunsetter with only one complaint. When the wind blows from the south directly into the Sunsetter with the awning all the way in the valence still blows back and forth making one heck of a noise. I think this could easily be corrected with some sort of soft cover but it is very annoying.

This is my second review, I am a very happy and pleased owner for nearly two months. I now go out back on my patio more than ever, my Grill is finally being used. I would highly recommend these awnings, they are a very worthwhile investment.

SunSetter Awnings Company Profile