Call toll free
4.60/5
Based on 577 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Malden, MA

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

SunSetter Awnings offer both manual and motorized awnings that provide shade and protection, transforming your patio or deck. Our awnings provide cool shade that can help in those hot and humid months and helps keep the inside of your home cooler by blocking the sun's rays from coming in your windows and doors.

We want to provide you with the highest quality awnings at the absolute best prices. We provide a free in-home consultation and are committed to a long-term relationship with our customers.

SunSetter Awnings Gallery (1)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1058 SunSetter Awnings Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 15, 2018

I purchased an awning from SunSetter because I wanted to protect myself from the sun at my little hobby shop and keep the cancer off my head and my back. The awning has the best quality. The installers and the other guys I bought it from did a good job. I have a motorized, sand and burgundy colored awning with LED lights and it's very beautiful. Mine is actually different because the guys said it's the highest they ever mounted. They mounted it up 12 feet because it's above a 12-foot working door. But it works very nice and I love it.

I'm able to work in the rain and in the hot sun. I have a wind sensor on it and it works good. But they have to send me $50 credit for all the people that are gonna buy from them because there's six people that are gonna buy from them. My brother-in-law and a bunch of people that have looked at it said, "I gotta get one." They were gonna do something else but they decided to do this instead because it looks so nice and works so nice.

Get expert buying tips about Awnings delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I've seen SunSetter Awnings' advertising off and on over the years. I actually did sit in for one of their packages and watched a video. It's just that I have a patio and an eastern exposure, which is really, really sunny, and getting an awning just made sense. I wanted the shade for obvious reasons, rain protection, but I also wanted the ability to open it up because I didn't want to shade all my plants over there all day long. I needed something that would open and close, depending on when and where I was using it.

The installation was good. The installers always kept me updated on when the delivery would be scheduled. I had a Saturday installation because it was convenient for me. The installer wanted me to be around and I needed to work during the week. Also, I don't know if SunSetter ship UPS or freight or whatever, but the guys in the warehouse used a forklift on the awning and I had a 20-footer so they bin it in the middle. The installers went to all the trouble to put it together and started rolling out, and the thing's going 'loop, loop, loop', and the installer said he'd seen that happen.although he didn't imply it was SunSetter's guys. He thought when it was getting freighted out and redelivered. It was a delivery at his place and then he brought it out, so I didn't have to deal with a 20-foot tube in my front yard.

Moreover, the quality is excellent. I like the finishes on everything, it looks good and it's a nice color. I let my daughter pick it. It was absolutely perfect from the inside and the outside. There is one thing that I would recommend. I have the lights and I have the motor so I need two plugs. I have two plugs right next to my slider, so it worked out perfectly. But the one of the plugs come out and goes down. And so, you can't put two plugs. The two plugs that they sent, one is a bent 90 and one is straight out or bent, and so you can't use it. You have to put an adapter on there. I'm sure a lot of people have the light and the motor, so you have to put either an expansion deal just so you can put more plugs in. So you're plugging a plug into a plug, or in my case, the installer just cut the end off and put a new plug on it. Nonetheless, I'm really happy with it.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Really like it but kinda wish we had gotten the motorized version... It's not quite as easy to roll out as shown and my wife is having trouble with it. Maybe in time, as we get use to it, it will get easier to use. Other than that we are pleased...

Original review: June 13, 2018

We just had built a deck and needed a sun shade. We've seen the advertisements of SunSetter Awnings and then I talked to a representative. Everything was as we expected and so we moved ahead and purchased a motorized awning. The rep was knowledgeable and he answered the questions we had. The installation was great as well. We thought that there was gonna have to be some custom woodworking done but the installer was able to do that without having to cut any of the existing wood. We're very satisfied with SunSetter. The awning looks great and it has given us exactly what we were hoping for.

Original review: June 12, 2018

We needed some shade on my back porch. We ordered a motorized SunSetter awning and it came in quickly. The installer did a good job and he was quick, very nice, very professional, and very thorough. The price of the awning was about right for the size that I have. And I’m very pleased with it. It was too hot to eat on the porch before and with our SunSetter awning, we can eat outside which we can also do when it’s raining. I’m enjoying my awning and if that’s what my friends really want, I'd tell them to go ahead and buy it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunSetter Awnings?

Original review: June 12, 2018

I had my first SunSetter awning for about eight years but I had claimed on it on my homeowners’ insurance ‘cause it was a manual and it took a hit on some hail. We ordered over the phone and the team was fantastic and nice. But when I got the second one delivered, there was no proof of purchase. I need that to settle my claim with State Farm and I called SunSetter. The lady said they would get it out to me but I think she said about 10 days and it's been at least that, yet I’m still waiting for it. On the other hand, my brother had put the awning up and it's absolutely beautiful. It’s 18 x 11½ with gray-and-cream stripes, and it’s fully automatic. It folds up and goes away underneath its cover. SunSetter can come to my house and make a commercial ‘cause it’s so beautiful. My house is all-windows and the sun heats up the house so I put the awning out every morning and I would tell others to get one as well. You'd be stupid not to.

Original review: June 11, 2018

SunSetter Awnings is a quality brand. We had an awning already in the same location. It’s a SunSetter awning, but we felt it was a bit old. It wasn’t functioning exactly the way we wanted it to and it was too short. The local distributor was very responsive, helpful and easy to do business with. Also, the installer was excellent, but there were some challenges with the installation itself. The product was not working exactly as it needed to so it required the installer to swap out the motor. And subsequent to that, we’ve noticed that the awning was not closing properly. It’s closing and then it’s reopening itself automatically. We’re talking to the distributor to make arrangements to do some repair, but we’re generally happy with the install.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I have a friend that had a SunSetter awning. We liked the way it looked and we had an area that needed some shade. A company in Indianapolis put it up and it went fine.

Original review: June 11, 2018

We got in touch with Sunsetter after our old awning wouldn't work. Their rep that I worked with was always on time, and he explained everything beforehand. He went far beyond what we expected. I would recommend him to anybody. Also, the installation went very well. SunSetter is backed by good housekeeping and we like that. We've had the awning for about six weeks now and it has been excellent. We had an extremely good experience with Sunsetter Awnings and we recommend them to others.

Original review: June 11, 2018

We recently retired and are home more during the day, and it’s very sunny in the backyard during the day. The company we used and the sales guy that we went through were very good. We were very satisfied with the salesman. We purchased an 11 x 19 automatic remote-controlled awning in evergreen color, and the installation experience was very good and informative too.

Original review: June 10, 2018

The patio gets the sun all day and we couldn’t go out there when it was hot. My neighbor was in the same situation and I saw that she had an awning from Sunsetter so we bought one and now, we can sit out on the patio. We’re very pleased with it and we’re enjoying it. The people were very nice and there was no problem working with them. We have the motorized awning with a very pale stripe. The installers came and did their job. They put it up in half a day and they did it with no mess.

Original review: June 10, 2018

We’re coming into the summer months and I wanna be having barbecues. And it’s gonna be perfect to have an awning with family members coming around and we don’t have to worry about rain or anything interrupting our festivities. I saw SunSetter Awnings on TV and after looking at the commercial, I went online to look at it and I called the one that was provided in South Carolina. I also got the videos online to show me how the motorized awning works and the type of material. And when the representative came by, I got more information and it was very helpful after me looking online.

The installation was a quick experience. There were two guys who came out and they acted with so much expertise to go out and see if it was level enough. They were very knowledgeable about everything, they showed me how the remote controls works and then, did a test run. They also did the wind sensor. Our awning's overall quality is awesome. I’ve already tried it out last weekend with my family members over and they enjoyed it.

Original review: June 10, 2018

Everything was great with SunSetter and the guy that put up the awning wonderful. This is a motorized 20-footer and he came in with two other guys, and they were done in 15 to half an hour. They were that good and I really appreciate somebody that knows his job and can get that thing done like that. I got a $10,000-porch in the back and I didn’t use it, so we put SunSetter up and we’re using it now. The awning is the perfect thing that I wanted back there. I’ve been out on the porch twice when the awning was open and I enjoyed having it like that because I can see where we’re gonna have a lot of shade. The sun beats up there, so I will open it every morning. I will go out there and I have a little DVD player that I can go out there with. I also have a radio and I might take a book or a magazine out there. Come summer, we have the neighborhood fireworks get-together and I’ll use it during the day and put it back up before they shoot fireworks off.

Original review: June 10, 2018

I got a deck and I needed some awning. Then I saw SunSetter on television. The sales team of SunSetter knew what they were doing and everything went fine. We enjoy our awning which is 18 feet, motorized and color blue. Their installers attached the awning to my house. It’s automatic so after a wind, it goes in itself. I’m satisfied with SunSetter Awnings. Everybody likes and enjoys it.

Original review: June 9, 2018

We moved into a new house and the back of the house faces south where it would get sun all day. Being a cancer patient, I can’t be in the sun all day. So, an awning was the best thing that I could get as I couldn’t put up a permanent one since I’m in a condo situation where it had to be approved. A SunSetter awning was the only one that I could get on there. I talked to a sales representative of SunSetter and he gave me the colors to choose from, but that again was up to the condo community's rules and I could only choose one color which I’m not fond. I got the awning that’s electric or motorized, and it comes out by itself. SunSetter put the awning in last October and I was surprised that they came out because it was snowing. I figured that they wouldn’t come out until the spring, but they put it up right away. The installation was fast and easy and, so far, I'm pleased with the awning.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I have a deck that gets uncomfortably hot and the umbrellas don't seem to do the trick and are always blowing over. I tried to get a SunSetter awning the year before and the installer they hooked me up with, canceled on me several times. Then he wanted to make a third appointment but I didn’t make that appointment with him and just bought an umbrella. Then this year, my husband and I discussed trying again but I better not get the same installer because I'm not gonna use him. But the guy that responded this time was just a couple of towns over and he came for the estimate and the installation and he never canceled me. He was very knowledgeable, very down-to-earth and easy to have around the house working. I was very happy with him. He was quick, clean and he also showed me how to do everything once it was done.

I wanted an awning that’s more vinyl than cloth. The awning is the motorized type and I also put the wind sensor on. It covers two-thirds of the deck and I use it every day to keep the porch and the house cool because the sun beats in the sliding glass door. And it shuts itself if the wind comes up, which is great for me. The SunSetter Awning is expensive and it took me several years to afford it, but it’s a great product.

Original review: June 9, 2018

SunSetter is in my hometown and at first, they were very good. They came out promptly and gave all the information, and it looks like a good product so we bought it. The installation was terrific. It was put up right on time and we were happy with it. But we’ve experienced some trouble with our SunSetter and they haven’t come out to take a look at it. When it rains, the water pools in the middle of the awning and collects so much that it creates a lot of weight and deforms the awning. That is a little bothersome, but other than that, it's great. We use the awning when we eat out and we have coffee out there. I would tell others to make sure when they put the awning in that they got the right pitch on it and to think about which one they want. SunSetter has products too as far as they can put in different types of awnings.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I had rebuilt my patio outside, and I needed an awning for it. SunSetter Awnings is a well-established brand and per quality, my dollar was well-used using them. I ordered a brown, striped, motorized awning and I use it all the time in the morning and afternoon for the sun. I also have social get-togethers out there on my patio. I ordered it through Patico Awning in Houston and they put it up. When they started putting in the bracket, they just used their knuckles to find the studs. There are seams in the siding and all they had to do was find that seam and go up straight from it then they'd have hit the studs. They made at least three holes before they found the stud and I wasn't happy about that. They said that they'd just fill it full of caulk.

When one of the guys first started to unroll the awning, he didn't take the packaging out. So it started to unroll quickly because there was a piece of the packing foam in there. I tried to get them to come back to adjust it, but nobody came nor returned any calls. They had gotten my money, and so that's it. No service. I like the awning, but I couldn't recommend the installer to anybody.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I thought I'd splurge and get myself a roof over the thing out there and get me a chair and watch it rain. I started to make this move a year ago so I made it in my mind to get it done but I didn’t know any other awning companies except SunSetter Awnings. I got the automatic motor roller to roll it back in. I wanted first class and it's the best they're making. There was a lot of green color in the awning but I don’t care what color it is as long as it covers and saves my bald head. Because I'd burn the hair off the top of my head out there at three o'clock in the afternoon. It was terrible.

The SunSetter's boys just got started and they load their stuff out of the truck. I told them that I can't move around very fast. I'm a handicap and I just got out of the hospital Friday. I'm using a walker to get around and I said to them that if they need anything, they come in the house and holler at me. They're good people to be with and I'm really pleased. I'm also really tickled with that awning to keep the sun off my bald head.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I have had a terrible experience with SunSetter Awnings. I went on their website in March and asked for one of their local dealers to contact me. I was contacted and the dealer came out 3/7/18. The awning was ordered March 7, 2018. We wanted a nice awning, we ordered an 18' motorized awning, retractable, wind sensors, LED lights, made with Captain's Watch fabric, with the motor on the left side. When delivered, the awning was the wrong color and the motor was on the wrong side. The correct fabric was installed May 14, 2018. We adapted the electric for the motor. We enjoyed the awning, including Saturday, May 26, 2018 which was a very sunny warm day. During the night, we had an unpredicted rain storm and the awning collapsed, due to water pooling on the awning, breaking the arms. For this to happen, in my mind this is poor engineering, the water could not drain.

I wrote SunSetter and requested refund until their 90 day guarantee of $5,178, the cost of the awning. I received a call that they would not honor that warranty as the warranty is only good if I installed the awning. As I used the dealer they sent to my house, there is no warranty. They wanted to fix the broken arms and that is it. Obviously this is not the awning for our house, we have wind, and we have rain. I was told by the representative of SunSetter, “You cannot leave the awning out overnight to protect your furniture. You must retract it every night.” So if you live in an area where there is no rain, sun only and you want to babysit your retractable awning; this is the awning for you. If you have rain you need to look further.

Resolution response: June 17, 2018

My SunSetter was professionally installed yesterday. Love it in the mornings but after 5 pm, due to the west location, very hot cannot enjoy. The installers were very professional and polite. Would recommend this for anyone who doesn't have west sun.

Original review: June 8, 2018

Why does it take so long for my SunSetter to be installed. It has been over 4 weeks and I have not heard from the man. I had to give him a deposit of 3500 hundred dollars. The check has cleared the bank, but still nothing from SunSetter or this man.

SunSetter Awnings response

Dear Joann,

We are happy to hear that your SunSetter Awning has now been installed by your dealer and that you are enjoying it. At SunSetter, we take great pride in our product quality, our service, and especially in the satisfaction of our customers.

Regarding the evening sun, it is possible that one of our Weather Breaker accessories may help reduce the glare during those evening hours. Please call us at 800-670-7071 between 8:00 AM and 10:00 PM if you would like to learn more.

Please don't hesitate to contact us should you need further assistance. We hope you enjoy your awning for years to come!

Sincerely,

Jacob Sommer

SunSetter Customer Care Team

Original review: June 8, 2018

I already have an awning but I wanted one that had a remote control as it was much easier. I’m in my 80s and I got tired of having to line the awning back and forth. When I purchased the awning, I went direct expense at it and spoke with a SunSetter sales representative. I did it with SunSetter because there was a deal for a Costco member which I am a member. SunSetter sent it to Hawaii but I didn’t get the discount and I had to pay the postage for the actual delivery which was expensive. But I was perfectly happy with the service and with the people that I dealt with. The awning I got was an 18 foot and I had my own people install it. I’m happy with SunSetter and I use the awning in the evening when I sit around.

Original review: June 8, 2018

We've seen a SunSetter Awnings flyer over at J.C. Penney's that I’ve been seeing on TV too and decided to go for it. We got a brand-new 12 x 20 motorized awning and had a good experience with their team during purchase. Everything went smooth and the installation went fine as well. I'd tell people getting a SunSetter is a good idea.

Original review: June 8, 2018

The sun faded the furniture in our other house and now that we're in a new house, we decided not to let that happen here. The SunSetter salesman who came to our new home was helpful and his knowledge for their product was good. We got the 12 x 16 feet awning and it's motorized. The installers were very knowledgeable and they did a good job. It took them less than an hour to do it. So far, we've used the awning a lot. We put it out when the sun comes up at about three, then we leave it until around 7:30 or 8. Everything is fine except that if the wind comes up and the awning is out, we have no idea how the sensor works, so we need to call SunSetter about that.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I have afternoon sun and I needed something so I could sit outside on my patio. I liked the idea that the awnings from SunSetter are retractable. I also had seen one at a friend's house and I know that they like it. I called SunSetter and then someone called on me and came. The person treated me very well and was very helpful. Then the installation team was very good and didn't take very long. I got a motorized awning and I have a remote control for it. It's a tan color and the striping is brown and white. Now, I go out there and take care of my flowers. The SunSetter awning works great. So if you are looking into getting a SunSetter awning, go for it. In fact, my daughter and her husband are thinking of getting one.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I have a deck and I've always wanted an awning. I went to the Fort Wayne Coliseum for a home and garden show and saw SunSetter's ad there and talked to their salesman. He said he would come out and give me an estimate. He did and I thought it was reasonable. Also, I liked the salesman and I got along with him great. The awning that we have is 14-feet wide and has the electric motor on it. I use it when I sit on my deck and I really enjoy it. That's about most Sunday afternoons. If anyone asks about my awning, I would give them SunSetter's number and tell them to go with SunSetter.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I've had an awning for eight years and that was kind of a pain. So, I decided to get one that would run remote. I got a SunSetter and I had good luck with it. I got a neighbor up there that has put them up for years. He came down and got a couple of guys to help him and they did that in about 45 minutes, so he knows his business. I'm out there in northern New York and they have the nicest place to live in the summer. So, when the weather is nice, we go outside and enjoy it. Mosquitoes drive us nuts, but now SunSetter has got some stuff out that is supposed to help but that depends on the way the wind blows. With my experience with them, I'd buy another SunSetter awning and that's what I'd put up again.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I had put a deck at the back of my yard and it gets hot in Tennessee and I wanted to cover it up. SunSetter Awnings' sales representative was okay but I haven’t heard from him since the installation. It would have been nice to have the manager or the salesman do a follow-up after the installation. Their installers were nice but there were some bolts that were attached to the building that they forgot to tighten down. They did when I asked them but they tried to tighten them down after the awning was already up. And it looks like they were in a hurry because they’ve got other things to do. The overall quality of the awning is good. However, I had to put the back sink because the guy that sold it to me didn’t check the eaves to see if I had rafter tails. Nonetheless, I will recommend this awning to anybody but you have to install it yourself. So far, it’s doing its purpose for me and I like it.

Original review: June 7, 2018

We did some remodeling and purchased our second SunSetter awning. The other one we had was a manual and this one's an electric in the same size but a different color. We have it opened when we're outside and it keeps things cool around the back. It was a good purchase.

Original review: June 7, 2018

The sun just shoots down right on the back side of the deck and the grandkid plays out there. We wanted something to cover it so my dad looked around online and found SunSetter Awnings. We got the motorized version and my dad’s friend who is a contractor helped install it. It was easy. We love the awning and we use it while playing with the baby and when we eat like when we have breakfast.

SunSetter Awnings expert review by ConsumerAffairs

SunSetter Products is America’s largest awning manufacturer. They specialize in retractable deck and patio awnings, freestanding awnings, window awnings and vertical solar shades. Customers can either buy awnings and install it themselves or have a free in-home consultation with SunSetter dealers who can install the awnings.

• Free consultation: The free consultation gives customers a chance to work directly with a SunSetter dealer and get expert advice on awnings and installation.

• Toll-free customer service line: Customer with issues or questions can receive support from their customer service hotline.

• Wide selection: Being the largest manufacturer of deck and patio awnings in America, SunSetter has a wide selection of awnings, fabrics and colors to choose from.

• Customer service: Because they are a national company with many different offices, their customer service varies depending on location.

• Best for: Homeowners, Business Owners