Malden, MA

4.6/5 (317 ratings)

About SunSetter Awnings

SunSetter Awnings is the largest American manufacturer of retractable patio, window and deck awnings. The company produces four different awning types, including motorized and manual hand-cranked models. Most of the awnings attach directly to a structure, but the company does have one freestanding model. The motorized models open and close using a remote control, and the manual model uses a hand crank.

Pros

• Wide fabric color selection
  • Buy direct or work with a local dealer
  • Option for DIY installation
  • 5 to 10-year limited warranties

Cons

• Limited freestanding model options
  • Installation not included

Bottom Line

SunSetter Awnings offers many options to meet the needs of any customer or budget. Options include 28 fabric choices, sizes from 8 feet to 20 feet wide and manual or remote retraction.

Top SunSetter Awnings Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

My father has a SunSetter awning and he gave us one as a gift. He enjoyed his so much that he thought we would enjoy it and we have… That deck was nearly unusable until almost dar...

Verified

We have some friends that have SunSetters and we decided to go with their recommendation. The installation of our awning went really well. So far, we love its reliability. So far,...

About SunSetter Awnings

SunSetter offers two product lines of awnings: The SunSetter Series and the Platinum Series. Awnings in the SunSetter Series come with a five-year limited warranty, and Platinum Series products come with a 10-year limited warranty.

Awnings are available in widths from 8 feet to 24 feet and extend from 7 feet to 11 feet, 8 inches out, depending on the model. Awnings from SunSetter are made from woven acrylic or laminated fabric and available in 28 colors.

How does SunSetter Awnings work?

Customers can buy awnings directly from the company’s website or from a local SunSetter dealer. If you buy the product directly, you select the product line, model, fabric color and valence style: straight or wavy. You can also choose the awning’s size and type of mounting bracket.

Awnings bought directly from SunSetter come with a 90-day money-back guarantee. When you work with a local SunSetter dealer, you can get expert advice and a free in-home consultation.

SunSetter does not directly offer installation services. Customers can either install the awnings themselves by following the instructions in the booklet and DVD that came with their awning or have them installed professionally by a local SunSetter dealer or a third-party contractor.

SunSetter Awnings prices

SunSetter Awnings cost between $600 to $6,000. The price depends on several factors: size, retraction mechanism, fabric, shape and type.

The most popular model is the SunSetter motorized model, which has an average price of $2,800. The manual version has an average price of $2,300.

SunSetter Series

SunSetter Series awnings are available in two fabric choices: waterproof laminated fabric or water-repellant woven acrylic fabric. All awnings in this product line come with a five-year limited warranty.

ModelPrice Range
XL$3,075 - $4,250
Laminated fabric$599 - $2,980
Acrylic fabric$1,855 - $4,250

Platinum Series

The Platinum Series awnings are made from Sunbrella acrylic fabric that is water repellent and resists mildew, mold and fading. The product line features models that retract into a permanently installed aluminum semi-cassette hood, which helps protect the awning from the elements. Awnings in the Platinum Series come with a 10-year limited warranty, and prices range from $2,600 to $6,000.

ModelPrice Range
Platinum$2,923 - $5,257
Platinum Manual$2,676 - $4,196
Platinum PRO$3,051 - $5,642
Platinum Plus$4,245 - $5,663
Platinum Plus PRO$4,506 - $6,051
XL$4,186 - $6,051

SunSetter Awnings FAQ

How much are SunSetter awnings?
SunSetter Awnings range from $600 to $6,000. The price range for the SunSetter Series is $600 to $4,200, and awnings in the Platinum Series range from $2,600 to $6,000. Manual awnings run between $1,600 to $4,200.
How do you install a SunSetter awning?
For do-it-yourself installation, follow the instructions in the installation booklet and DVD that comes with the awning. Installation takes two to three hours, and all you need is a few simple tools.
  1. Unpack the awning and all its components from the packaging.
  2. Bolt the mounting brackets to a wall on the outside of your home.
  3. Lift the awning into the brackets and push the square bar attached to the awning into the brackets.
  4. Secure the square bar with a retaining bolt in each bracket.
  5. If you have a motorized awning, plug the power cord into your outdoor outlet and use the remote to open the awning. If you have a manual awning, open it using the hand crank.
How do you clean a SunSetter awning?
To clean a SunSetter awning, brush it when it’s dry and then wash it with mild soap and lukewarm water. If that doesn’t do the trick, follow the care and maintenance instructions included with the awning.
Where are SunSetter awnings made?
SunSetter Awnings assembles components manufactured in China and other countries at its 72,000-square-foot facility in Malden, Massachusetts.
How much does it cost to install a SunSetter awning?
It costs between $175 to $450 to have a local SunSetter dealer or a hired professional of your choice install a SunSetter awning. Installation costs range between $6 to $9 per square foot.
Are SunSetter awnings waterproof?
Yes, many of SunSetter’s products are waterproof or water repellant.

Are SunSetter awnings any good?

SunSetter awnings are a good choice for those shopping for an awning. The company offers multiple models, varying widths and a wide selection of fabric colors to fit any customer's needs. Customers have the freedom to buy awnings directly from the company or work with a local dealer. Customers can install the awnings with easy-to-follow instructions, or a local dealer can provide professional installation.

SunSetter Awnings Reviews

Original review: Oct. 28, 2022

We have a screened-in porch with a side that was sunnier where I had outside furniture. It was too hot to sit. I wanted to check the SunSetter awning so I called and got a nice woman. The awning is fine. But it took forever to get it because of some snafu in the electronics of things. It was on a truck that it wasn't on. Initially, it showed to be in Manchester. It took two weeks for them to locate it somewhere else. And that was only through a phone call because a poor woman wanted to know how come in her truck was something that she didn't have paperwork for. It wasn't what I expected as a happy experience.

The other thing is they didn't explain to somebody who doesn't realize you need to check and see exactly where your sun is before you get one of these things. The location that you're putting the awning in for the sun has got a big impact on how it's gonna work to be productive for you. I spent $2,500 to purchase the awning and another $1,200 to have it installed. Basically, it's worthless. I get an hour of SunSetter shade. And because of the way the sun goes around the cottage and starts to set, the sun is pouring in on the angle on the side.

I had to get the 8-foot one because of the location that it's in. I couldn't get anything any wider. But that wouldn't have done the trick. The location of where the sun is that when it comes around to the front of the cottage, it just goes right in. The seat that I wanna sit in is covered a little bit. But as it goes around to the side where the side is, where the arms are, that just pours right in all afternoon. I get zero benefits from the SunSetter.

Next summer, what I can do is get some type of material. We have the New England Cloth Company that's really got everything known to man. I can get something very similar that I can attach to the scalloped-in that will drop the curtain down some way and that will give me some help. But as far as the right-hand side where the sun comes pouring in, I gotta get a little bit more creative. Maybe I could use the same material that wouldn't cut the wind. All in all, I love the awning. But they should be really clear about the location of the sun so the customer doesn't get stuck like I did.

SunSetter Awnings response

Thank you for your correspondence. We are pleased to hear of the overall satisfaction you have received from your SunSetter product. We do offer a Front or Side Weatherbreaker Panel that may offer added relief. The Panels extends down 5ft to help block out up to 90% of sun and wind and drizzle. You can order online at www.sunsetter.com or call our customer service 1-800-876-2340. We hope you to enjoy your awning for many summers to come. Thank you for your business, we appreciate it.

Get buying tips about Awnings delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2022

I had an awning and it was quite small. It's only 10 x 12. When I moved into my condo, the Sunsetter was already on here and it seemed to be very reliable and good, so I stuck with them. I was also hoping that I could use the motor that I already had. I added another awning to my patio. I spend a lot of time out there, so I wanted to go further out and wider. I got an awning that's 12 x 14. It's a canvas one and it's beige with a thin stripe.

My sales rep was okay but I could have used a little bit more information. The one I had was vinyl and he said this was a better material. I was pressured a little because he said he drove so far and if I could make my choice that day. I knew what product I wanted and I wanted to get done so we can enjoy it this summer. The only thing was I thought we had a local dealer. But when I called, they sent me somebody that was two and a half hours away. That aside, the installation was fine and quick. But I was not happy with the fact that the awning was not really tight. It seemed to have some wrinkles at the seam. When it's rolling up, it should go in closer. It sticks out from the house further than my other one did, which makes me nervous. This winter, I don't want it to build up with snow, and I'm not taking it down. That's my concern.

I had somebody come back out. With this second guy, SunSetter could have sent me Mickey Mouse. All I heard from the guy was, “I know what I'm doing. I'm really good at this. I can do this. I can do that.” But I'm not sure that the awning was any different than it was before he came. I figured I'll just accept it the way it is because it has a five-year warranty. If this thing doesn’t hold up, that's on SunSetter. I'm in a condo association and a lot of people are interested and they wanted to see the awning. I already had a couple come over and look at it. It looks fine other than it has wrinkles.

Original review: June 5, 2022

I have a couple of people that I knew that had the awning and my grandmother wanted one. I didn't know any awning companies and I asked those people where they got it from and they told me. I contacted the distributor of SunSetter and went from there. The rep told me it was gonna be a lot longer than it was for the awning to come through. It was gonna be five weeks but it was there in two. So, they had to sit on it for a little bit because I wasn't going up there for five weeks. The rep let me know when everything was in and picked it up.

There were some people I know who had a company install the awning but where I was bringing the awning was five hours away from SunSetter. So, they weren't going to install that so I installed it myself. It went up fairly easy. I'm just gonna have to address the light situation. They gave double-sided sticky tape to put on the LED lights that are on the arms and the wind blew them off. I was gonna call them and see if there's a different system other than double-sided sticky tape. That's what came in the package for it and the direction for them to use that. But in the DVD, they had these metal clips that you drill into the arms. You just put the clips in there. But when we went to put it in, there were no clips. Everything else went well. But I talked to my grandmother who was up there this weekend and she said the lights were off and they put them back up. They'll probably be off by the time I get there next weekend, but I'll do something to fix them.

Original review: March 17, 2022

The SunSetter representative was very good. He spent more time than he anticipated. So he had to make a call to his next appointment and apologize because we were taking too much of his time. He went over the product. Everything went well. The only problem that we had was the time that we waited was well beyond what we were quoted. We were quoted 4 to 6 weeks and it took 12 to get it. I understand with COVID and everything else, that there’s a lot of stuff that's been backed up. It took a lot longer. Had I known that, I would have been prepared for it. But it got a little frustrating when I would call, and they would say, “We still don't have it.” But that wasn't their fault.

We went with everything with our awning. The size is 10 by 12. There was a booklet where we were able to choose the color and the pattern of the design on the awning itself. We got the LED lights, the motorized one, the wind sensor, the sensing unit on it. The installers were very friendly and cordial. They ran into a couple of problems. They couldn’t find the studs on the outside wall. They ended up having to go into the attic to find the studs because they wanted to make sure that it was anchored securely to those studs. One poor gentleman had to go up in there and it was at the opposite end of the house where the entrance area was to the attic. But they did a great job. They got them all hooked up. They were here way after dark, putting this thing together and making sure it was done the right way.

Original review: March 6, 2022

We placed our order to SunSetter with the expectation of delivery for May. We happen to be in Florida right now, and the purchase was for a property up in Massachusetts. When we bought it, we had a time when no one was wanting to be sitting outside. So, we were trying to be proactive to make sure that everything was ordered, received, and ready for installation as soon as we got back.

We went with SunSetter because of the dimensions I was looking for. I was looking for that extra depth. We have ordered the XL depth. The deck in the townhouse that we recently purchased happens to be 11.5 feet deep. So, it's like it is custom made for it. I called in and spoke with a representative. She ended up telling us that we would have to find an installer and she gave us the names of installers. We met with the installer first because we weren't even sure how feasible it was to install and would we be happy with the choices that had to be made for the installation. In the process, they also act as a sales rep. We fully recognize that we paid more for doing it through the sales rep, but they were looking at all the aspects of our property and were going to be responsible for getting it installed. So, there were pros and cons. I could have ordered through the 800 number, but then it was on me to make sure that I’d done things right.

The only thing that was weird is the information I got from the 800 number was in direct conflict with stuff that I was told via the representative that I was ordering with directly. She was pretty appalled by it. That aspect was confusing and I kept going in circles. I was like, “You sure? I've been told I cannot order that.” She said, “Of course, you can order that.”

With the type of fabric mine is ordered in, the 800 number person had told me that that was not an option. The brochure would imply that it was not an option. Also with the 800 number person, I had found some difficulties with the reading of the website and had questions for her, and she got combative slightly with me on that when I told her, “Look, this is a customer giving customer service feedback that I found this aspect difficult. It might be worth the company knowing that I had difficulties finding this, that this would be valuable.” I got really snappy back with her. Other than that, we are expecting to be very happy with our product. We're excited and looking forward to it and looking forward to what it's going to do for us and the usability of our guests.

SunSetter Awnings response

Thank you for your feedback. We do apologize for the initial confusion. We are thankful you decided to place your order, and hope you enjoy many years under your awning.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2022

I paid $9K for a platinum 14 x 11'8" motive denim 4895 with wallmount, wind sensor, weather sensor and phone app. After 2 days, the phone app didn't work. Later, the rain sensor that was supposed to retract the awning, didn't work. When the sun came out, the awning didn't expand. The tiniest breeze caused the wind sensor to retract the awning. In short, nothing works as promised in the contract. I have complained to the main company and local company but all they do is send a link for me to troubleshoot these problems myself. No support, no guarantee of the product. The material is nice, the color is quite lovely - but getting it to operate is nil - as is the customer service.

SunSetter Awnings response

Hi Jann. We are sorry to hear you are having trouble with your awning. We reviewed your account as well as reached out to your place of purchase for a better understanding of the situation. We are happy to hear your Authorized Sunsetter Dealer and SunSetter Technical Support have been working to resolve all your concerns. We are pleased you and your Authorized SunSetter Dealer were able to come up with an agreement for returning your awning should you chose.

In the meantime, if you continue to have any technical issues, SunSetter provides dedicated technical support year-round at 800-670-7071. We provide live walkthroughs to SunSetter owners of all skill levels and would be happy to assist you when you call us.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2022

It's a nice awning. SunSetter is expensive, but they're worth it, especially for my wife and I because we're up in years now. The electric motor can be retracted or extended. But whenever they sell a SunSetter, they should check to make sure there's a plug-in to be able to plug it in. I had a 100-foot extension cord there and the installer picked it up and plugged in the awning there. That's very dangerous to have that extension cord with that on there. It's not very good. Either the person that sold the awning to me or the installer should have said something to me. So I had to have an electrician come out and put an extra plug-in there where the SunSetter thing could be plugged in closer.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2022

The SunSetter representative was very good at all the suggestions that he made when we were looking at the awning. He told us a set time and a date, and everything went smoothly. The installers were great and installed it within a short time. It was good work. They know what they're doing. Having the awning gives us more shade in the afternoon when it's particularly hot. It cools the birdcage down. So all in all, it's very nice.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2022

The guy in SunSetter, Erie, was very responsive to texts and phone calls. He met my wife to sign the contract when I wasn't available. He kept the order moving. Everything went great. SunSetter's lead times were three times better than anybody else.

SunSetter Awnings response

Thank you, Mark! We appreciate the great feedback! We are delighted to hear you are enjoying your new awning and about the great service you received from your Authorized SunSetter Dealer. We are always happy to hear from customers and look forward to sharing your feedback with the Authorized SunSetter Dealer who help make this possible.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2022

We had one of these SunSetter awnings in our old house. The other one was 11 feet. This one is 14 or 15 feet. We took the higher grade of material and bought the lights and wind sensor with it. It also has the motor with it and the remote. It's a good product, but it's way expensive. It's hard to budget something that you're only going to use five months at a year that's gonna hang on the outside of your house. Based on from when we bought the last one to when we bought this one, the price has jumped significantly. And because of that, we were against the wall whether or not we would go ahead with it. We paid 3,800 for the last one we bought. And granted, this was three feet longer. I couldn't see three feet jumping the price by almost 4,000. But we paid over $7,000 for this. Our son was looking at doing something similar until he found out what we paid for this thing and he went with lawn umbrellas.

The reps were good, even the people from the office. They relocated, but we used the same outfit that did it the last time and they were timely. There was a problem when the awning was delivered. It was a wind sensor wasn't with it and the technician didn't realize that until he got to the house. But they came back immediately the next day and attached it. They were very nice people to deal with.

SunSetter Awnings Company Information