toll free

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We had an 18 foot motorized awning installed and are 100% satisfied. Installation was well accomplished by experienced and courteous technicians. It definitely keeps our patio from heating up early in the morning. So far we have had no issues since installation. Everything is working as advertised.

We got a 14' wide awning that extends to about 11 1/12 feet. It has lights that dim and it will close automatically if it gets windy. We love it. The local SunSetter people were the best. From the moment we decided to buy an awning to the completed it was a great experience.

We have had a manual SunSetter for 10 years - excellent in western exposure in Florida. Recently lost our shade trees in other part of back exposure due to hurricane; we had 2 motorized sunsetters installed over our completely exposed western deck. This is pure Florida western sun exposure. (Very hot!) We are very happy with our awnings. They should help immensely this summer. Very nice looking; well installed. Would definitely recommend.

We are very pleased with our awning (Auto 8x16 feet) and it is very attractive with the brick and the composite decking. I have purchased a grey wicker conversation set to go with it. I purchased a outdoor 5x7 carpet to go with it. It is more brown than I thought and not sure how it is going to look. But we are real pleased with the awning and would do it again.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We are absolutely HAPPY with our retractable awning. Sure cuts down on the sun/heat keeping air conditioning from running so often. Great to get outdoors in the morning & have my coffee/read papers. Also during sprinkling rain I am still able to go outside. Highly recommend this company, service was wonderful for the inexperienced fellow that installed it. Phone personal extremely helpful to get it installed correctly & much easier than originally thought. Sunsetter deserves 10 stars. Thank you.

I love the awning. I do wish because of the size of the awning I would have been encouraged to get the electric one. The hand crank is easy to open but tiring to close. We will probably end up having to spend more to get the electric installed next year. The cost of the electric was making me hesitate but now that we know how much work it is to close we would have gotten but we do love the awning.

We put our XL up a few months ago and we truly have enjoyed it almost every day. It took me two years to talk my husband into it and once it was up he said "why did you wait so long to do this." We wouldn't be without the remote or the wind sensor, they both have been wonderful. The only problem I had was with the dealer. He was very helpful and all, but wanted $500 to install it. He didn't want to do it very bad to ask that much. Anyway it came with a DVD explaining how to do it and some young friends came over and did it for a beer, much better deal.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Good value for the money - Does everything advertised. Simple installation if structural support is readily available. I'm over 6 feet tall so will be trying to increase ground clearance as soon as help is available. We'll see how that goes! Company personnel were very helpful and efficient in assisting me throughout the ordering and delivery process.

I am a private home owner and the box containing the hardware was open and all hardware was missing/except the arms. I called Sun Setter and they were polite and got right on it. Sent me a new hardware box FedEx and I had it within a week. Excellent service and very helpful customer service people. I also received a return authorization for the arms in box. But they cancelled that and told me not to sent back the damaged arms. So I am very happy with my awning and the service Sun Setter provided.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

A sales rep came to our home, showed us samples, and was very knowledgeable about the awnings. We selected a 16' awning. It arrived two weeks later as promised. We scheduled the install, and the installers were prompt. The weather was rainy, but they completed the install in less than 90 minutes. We could not be happier with our SunSetter.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunSetter Awnings?

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We ordered 2 SunSetter Awnings on 4/14/17. They were delivered on a timely basis and installed quickly. I really enjoy the motorized feature of both awnings because we have gusty winds at times and I can easily adjust the awnings. We have a wall of windows overlooking our patio. They also face to the West. The awning has diminished the sun pouring through the windows and heating up the kitchen/ family room. Our dining room had the same problem with a wall of windows facing the South. The awning has reduced the heat pouring in those windows as well. It also protects our beautiful antique dining room table from bleaching due to sun damage. I'm quite sure the awnings have reduced our utility bill for air conditioning our home. Thank you SunSetter Awnings!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Your product is great. Your delivery is somewhat slow in this day of short delivery time. It took close to 3 weeks and when open to check found two of the brackets were the wrong size. Another 10 days. Your customer service was friendly and very apologetic but that did not speed up delivery time. I do love your product though.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Model 1000XT. I am pleased with the awning and have received many compliments. BUT BUT I am finding a very difficult project trying to install the Rainaway Arches. The DeFlappers seem to be working well. How can I get assistance with the installation. I am looking forward to completion with the project.

I am very pleased but would like to correct one item. It is mounted level and I would put it on a slant to drain the water. The structure has good integrity and the material appears to be quite tough.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Very happy with this BIG Awning. We sit high so wind is a factor and the sensor has saved us at least 3 times to date. Size 19 ft X 11 ft, red brick striped facing South. Winds come from the SW most generally. Channel error caused us to use the hand crank which work fine and SunSetter support solved the channel problem. Thanks.

I had my SunSetter 900XT installed in late May with the screened porch. Prior to the install, I rarely sat out on my deck because the insects were annoying and made it an unpleasant experience. Since the install, I sit out almost every evening and in the mornings on weekends. It provides shade and protection from insects. My pets love it, too! I am in the process of getting my house ready for sale. I almost don't want the SunSetter to convey but it is a good marketing tool. I will definitely be adding a SunSetter at my new house.

We love our new SunSetter! We can sit on our deck in the heat of the day now! Great for entertaining. All our neighbors and family love it too. It looks great in our condominium complex. I would recommend SunSetter to anyone looking to provide shade without moving umbrellas all the time.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We placed our order with Ryan (** phone #) on May 7, 2017. We were told we would get a free gas grill and LED dimming lights. I have tried calling him twice, left voicemail with why I was calling and he has not called back. Otherwise, we love the awning!

20ft motorized awning - This is my 2nd one. These are the best thing I ever purchased! I get up 1st thing I do is open it. I get it opened before the sun hits the door and I don't have to run my air conditioner. It will pay for itself!!

Resolution In Progress

SunSetter Awnings

Thank you for your feedback on opening and closing your awning. You are correct, unlike our motorized awning that opens with the press of a button the Model 1000 XT awning does require a bit of effort to open and close. The good news is once it's open it can remain open for the season except in extreme weather conditions. The awning does very well in the wind. As long as you follow the proper operating instructions and do not allow water to accumulate on the awning fabric the awning will give you many, many years of enjoyment. We have an accessory called a Weatherbreaker Panel that can be used when the sun is not directly overhead. We will reach out to you privately with more information.

Original review: July 17, 2017

Awning was not too hard to install, need help to install. Good quality. Looks nice. I wish I would have install a motorized awning. Not as easy as the cd would like you to believe, putting up and down. I have no trees in backyard around my deck. The sun sets in a position that comes under the awning from the side. You have to keep moving chair to keep out of the sun. I will have to plant some trees.

This beautiful awning has allowed us to utilize our outdoor living space to its fullest. We could never enjoy our deck as the sun was way too hot beating down on us to enjoy. This awning has allowed us to finally enjoy our outdoor living space to its fullest!!! The wind sensor is awesome, if the wind is too strong, it retracts protecting our awning. I LOVE MY SUNSETTER AWNING!!!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I love my Awning. The color matches the trim on my patios and shutters perfectly. You state that it cools things down 20%. It really does. I have two large windows in my kitchen and once the awning is down shading the windows it makes a world of difference in the house. What a blessing. My only regret is that I didn't get the wind sensor. Thank you again SunSetter.

Very good experience. Prompt delivery + expert installation. Product works seamlessly and wind sensor is well appreciated. I would recommend to others. Easy to utilize and love embedded lights coloring of material was as anticipated. Looking forward to many years of sunshade.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I have a motorized SunSetter awning, it is only eight feet, but serves its purpose. My order included the two weather breaker panels, six patio lights, wireless wind sensor, remote control, a cleaning kit and aluminum hood. I also have a new Thermos grill included. I have had to call customer service for parts, and I must say that each time has been a delightful experience. My needs were met and replacements were received in a timely manner. The only things that I regret are not purchasing it sooner and being unable to afford a longer one right now.

Resolution In Progress

SunSetter Awnings

We too are disappointed to hear a package was missing from your delivery. UPS Freight does a great job for us, but like with anything on occasion things will go wrong. We are happy to hear that today your awning is installed and you are enjoying it.

Original review: July 17, 2017

It took three attempts before our complete order was delivered, the installation kit was the last package to arrive. We wanted the awning to be up in time for Mother's day but missed it by 2 weeks. We love our new awning but getting it to us was a disappointing experience.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Quality workmanship and very well made. I created a sidewalk cafe on my patio and the awning was perfect. Very easy to install. The first awning they sent was the wrong color and they immediately sent the right awning even before I sent the first one back.

We had an awning installed in 2012. For the last 4 summers so far so good no complaints. However last week we noticed that the awning fabric end that is just above the valance is coming out of the groove. I called SunSetter and reported my issue. I also called my installer and he says he'll come to check things out. Then I took off the end caps (two Phillips screws on each end). I was told there is a cord that is fished through the hem on the fabric end and that holds the fabric end in the groove. Lo and behold there was no cord inside the hem. At the SunSetter factory they just slid this hem into the groove without the cord. This greatly reduces the staying power of the fabric end in the groove with any wind, rain or weight. Now it’s out about 6 inches on one end and an inch on the other. No fabric is ripped or any other problem it’s just not in the groove and looks ugly.

I called SunSetter just now they told me it was unusual to happen. The evidence appears that at the SunSetter factory the rolled awning was assembled and shipped with no cord and I was the lucky one to get it. Now lets see how honorable they are about THEIR MISTAKE? I paid for and expected ALL THE COMPONENTS FOR MY AWNING! The entire setup is bogus and I was wronged by them but now that I caught their mistake lets see what happens?

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Very excellent productm - 16ft Oasis. I have the unit mounted atop our pergola and it has worked out great. I will send some photos of the completed project. One item of interest is the container with stand and hardware was packed very poorly. Much more care could have been taken in the packing of those items. Otherwise the shipping was excellent and the shipper was very helpful in transferring the unit to my trailer to reach its final destination. You are welcome to contact me regarding this product.

After doing my research and speaking with SOMFY regarding the faulty motor, I was surprised to hear that they would have provided a free motor if it had the stamp on it indicating manufacture date within the five years. I removed the motor and found the date to be 2011 which means that if I had removed the motor last year when I reported the problem SOMFY would have shipped another one to me free of charge. That means that the motor was already a year old at the time of purchase and that SunSetter's Policy of charging for a new motor that lasted four years was dubious at best and dishonest at worst because you could have had the same five year full replacement warranty as offered me.

I wish that I had better informed myself last year and removed the motor to get the SOMFY replacement and avoided the dishonest SunSetter offer. Now I have an Oasis Awning that I cannot use as the crank broke off and the motor has failed completely. I share my story here in Florida to everyone and have already cost you much more than $300.00 in sales which is what you tried to scam me out of. Shameful Business Practices!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Everyone that I had the opportunity to deal with from Richard ** of Ship Shape Canvas, our local dealer, to his awesome installers, John ** and Vincent **, made getting a Sunsetter Awning a very easy process. Thank you all!!

We are do it yourself folks and we purchased a 16 ft XL motorized awning. We should have purchased it 15 years ago. It is absolutely the most marvelous thing we did for the outside of our living area. Because we were do it yourself as there's some things we learned in the process. First of all the instructions that are given for installing the mounting clamps need to be more detailed. We found that they need to be positioned very critically in order to get the awning to go up and fit into the brackets. To solve this problem I purchased a 12 foot length of one and a half by one and a half Square pipe to use as a template and it worked out well.

Another important point is to understand that the 16 foot motorized awning weighed 130 pounds and it took two young strong men to put it in place. Once in place it was easy to secure and it looked great. One of the important features that I like to point out is the quality of the product, the engineering is superb and the quality of the product is first class. Thank you SunSetter. We also purchased the automatic wind sensor that closes the awning in case the wind were to increase. It works well and it's certainly an important safety feature.

One thing to note the awning which sticks out from the house about 10 feet has a drop of 29 inches from the point of which it's mounted to the outer edge and that lowers the awning to a point where I hit my head on the support brackets. I raised the outer edge of the awning so that there was only a 12 inch drop and that provided plenty of space for me to walk underneath it and for us to see out into the yard and our property. I was able to make this adjustment using the provided instructions without any major difficulty. Hooray for SunSetter. They are a quality company with good engineering and provide what they say they're going to provide.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Excellent experience from start to finish. Installers were the best anyone could ask for. This is not something you want to install yourself. The company I use was JODIMOR from Whitehouse Station NJ, high skill with the install and the men were the best. The representatives from SunSetter Awnings were also extremely knowledgeable and friendly. The only minor issue is that the scalped end of the fabric is about two inches out of matching the pattern in the awning itself, other than that everything was great. I would highly recommend SunSetter to everyone and also the installation company. I am very pleased with everything.

My SunSetter ended up costing me 4,500.00 including installation. The warranty is pro-rated for a five years. Based on others customers I've talk to it won't last 10 years. I should have paid for a solid roof. It's installed on my roof so if I have to get a new roof I have to pay for SunSetter to remove it so they can put a new roof on.

21 Ft XT1000 - Based on a family member's recommendation who has had a SunSetter for 10 years, we decided to give it a try. We have not been disappointed, the SunSetter is very well built and easy to use. We had a canopy on the back deck prior to purchasing the SunSetter, we are finding that the SunSetter gives our deck a more festive feel and we are spending a lot more time on our back deck. We are looking forward to our next SunSetter purchase and would highly recommend this product!

We absolutely enjoy our motorized awning. We had an older model for years that was manually operated and it was difficult for us to use. The motorized model is so easy to use and very attractive looking. It's been a welcome addition to our deck!

SunSetter Awnings Company Profile