3.92/5
Based on 183 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Malden, MA

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

SunSetter Awnings offer both manual and motorized awnings that provide shade and protection, transforming your patio or deck. Our awnings provide cool shade that can help in those hot and humid months and helps keep the inside of your home cooler by blocking the sun's rays from coming in your windows and doors.

We want to provide you with the highest quality awnings at the absolute best prices. We provide a free in-home consultation and are committed to a long-term relationship with our customers.

A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 20, 2018

618 SunSetter Awnings Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I kept getting a lot of brochures and reports about Sunsetter Awnings. Their name was also more predominant than other companies and they seemed to have a better information for their product. Plus, the way they advertised and presented it was pretty professional. I liked their shipping and the way they packed their product, too, and all those good stuff led me to get a big electric and motorized awning from them. It’s 19 feet long and it took three big guys and myself to put it up. We followed their instructions and the video that they sent with it. I also viewed it online before I ordered the awning because I had to go make some measurements, make sure I had the clearance, and that the joist and studs were in place.

So far, my experience with the awning has been good. I put it over my garage and not over a normal patio like most people do. The support is stronger in the garage because you got your header over your garage door and it’s pretty sturdy, more so than just the regular studs alongside a house and that's important because it’s a pretty heavy awning. I also have a Styrofoam stucco type siding, so I have a one-inch Styrofoam over the studding. It took a little creativity to mount that awning so the stucco siding didn't collapse. I also made a backer plate to go underneath the mounting bracket and that really prevented the Styrofoam stucco from collapsing.

I have an 18 and a half foot garage door and I use the garage for a lot of different things like as a gym and a workshop. It's also an area to park my car in. And in summer when the sun comes in that direction, the awning provides shade for the garage, which was the primary reason why I got it. Then, every once in a while, I’d have extended activities in the garage and the awning would work out pretty good for that. I had several people stop by and they were pretty impressed with my awning. I got additional little cards from Sunsetter and I passed those up to them. I told them I enjoy it and as a matter of fact, I got one of the neighbors thinking quite seriously about getting one for his garage. Sunsetter also needs to promote the garage business. All their ads are showing their awnings over a patio.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

During the winter, SunSetter Awnings installed an awning in my house to get the sun off. I liked their setup and the installation was on the heavy side. When I had an issue, I called them and they walked me through it. Overall, I've had a good experience.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

SunSetter did a great job of installing the awning. They did it fast and on time, and I have no complaints. I use the awning to get rid of some unwanted sun and rain. The SunSetter awning is a lot of bang for your buck and I would recommend it.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

SunSetter Awnings was all good. I got exactly what I ordered without any problems. Their product was also relatively easy to put up. I just followed the instructions. It seems to be a good product.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

SunSetter Awnings work great. They're fairly expensive but they're worth it. Dealing with their team went very well, too. I just placed my orders and they came in quickly. The first one I got was a hand crank for my tailgate trailer. Then I bought a motorized one to go with my hot tub. If it's raining, I use it. When I pushed the hand-type one on to a rock, I knocked something off of it, allowed rain to get down in it, and destroyed the motor. I could still roll it out by hand but it wasn't electric so I replaced it last fall. I got a 16-foot wide motorized awning that's self-supporting. It took two people to install it because it's big and fairly heavy. But the instructions were very complete and it wasn’t hard to install. All I did was leave the original brackets in the one I replaced and this new one slipped right in. It goes outside and shelters our food. I would recommend SunSetter Awnings highly.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunSetter Awnings?

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

I watched SunSetter Awnings' commercial on TV and liked what I saw. I thought it was a really good idea and that I should invest in it. We had all that backyard but we would go inside because it'd be too hot. With it, we could sit outside and not have to worry about being warmed by the sun beating on our heads. I discussed it with my husband and he said he wanted to do that.

When I purchased it, they were having a special where they said to me that I was calling at a really good time. The awning would come with a screen and I could put lights on it if I wanted. I was under the assumption that the awning would have the screen mesh thing around it but that didn’t happen. It was just the awning. And then I got another flyer in the mail saying that if I ordered between a certain time, I could get the screen. But I was like, "That's what I ordered but that didn’t come." That was a little bit off. I spoke to a lady about that two months ago. She said that the screen wasn’t with my order. When I asked about the special they were having as I was still within the time, she said they didn't offer it anymore. I felt like I got the brush off about it.

My husband and my brother installed the awning and it was pretty easy. They were up on the ladder and they were able to mount it to the house. They didn’t have any problems with it. Once they got it up, we started using it immediately and it worked fine. About four weeks ago, we had a stretch of nice weather and we had a cookout. We opened up the awning and we ended up inviting a couple of family members over. It was just really nice. SunSetter has an awesome product and I wish it could go all the way around the house. That would mean I'd have to buy two or three though. It's another way to be outside where the sun's not on my head. I like to sit outside when it rains too. It's just nice where I could just go outside and enjoy our yard and still be at our house.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I needed an extra covering for my vehicle and in Hawaii, it was getting harder to get things shipped over. SunSetter Awnings made it very clear that the awnings would be shipped in good condition and that sending it back wouldn't be a problem. Their team was a little aggressive though and I dealt with around three different salespersons because I didn’t purchase right away. I got quotes, got some stuff mailed and emailed, and there was some difference in the pricing and deals. Once I received those, there was no follow-up and that was disappointing.

Other than that, the awning is a good investment. I also bought the extended warranty on it which sounded really good. I installed the awning myself at almost 11 feet above the ground. I got a scaffolding which was easier instead of ladders because the awning is pretty heavy. I needed a lot of muscle but it was not really complicated. But once I laid out everything, it was all pretty much easily done. Three installers would be the best way to do it and two would be hard but you can do it alone. I put the awnings on the side of my house where I could drive up and have protection from the sun and anything else. The vehicles take a beating here as well so I like the shade. The awning provides covering for my pickup truck, too. I'm happy overall.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

We are very pleased with our motorized awning from SunSetter. It was not hard to install and it is a great addition to our home where it covers a large patio door that faces to the south. We would definitely recommend SunSetter to a friend.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

I bought a SunSetter awning for my deck and I liked it, so I bought another one. They did a very outstanding job in getting the product to us on time. Moreover, it was very easy to install. My wife and I installed the old awning, a crank out, on the back of our house. I have not put my new one up yet as we are waiting for summertime here in Pennsylvania. We bought it early since we didn’t know if the prices may go up. We bought it knowing it was going to be fine anyway. However, I was really concerned if the remote will work when I’m inside the house versus outside the house. We bought the old awning many years ago, but it’s still like new. It’s not faded and it still works great. I would recommend SunSetter. Although there are cheaper ones out there in the market, as far as dependability and quality, SunSetter can't be matched.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

I've had a very good experience with SunSetter. I checked them online and I felt comfortable with them, then I ordered. Their folks are good and are doing phenomenal. I’m going to recommend them.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

We live here in Northwest Oregon and some of the nicest parts of the day here are the mornings. We have an east facing deck and kitchen, but when the sun is so bright, we can't enjoy it out there because it's low in the sky during that time of the day. It also beats in the kitchen and gets the kitchen really hot so an awning was going to shade the kitchen and allow us to be outside without having to stare into the sun in those pre-noon hours.

My wife has a cousin who has had a SunSetter for 30 years and it has been trouble-free which was what I was looking for. We placed the sales call, got some information and it was all good. The awning turned out to be just the way they said it would. It's a 14 feet wide awning and it's the type that extends out without any posts or any bracing that is going to be in the way, moving in any direction from the awning. There was only one style. The bracing that was required was all above our head. It was not down in the traffic zone where we'd have to avoid it if we wanted to exit one side or the other. The awning was motorized and the installation went fine as the directions were good.

Overall, the awning is going to shade the sun from beating in the kitchen through midday because of the way our house is oriented and we'll get more use out of our deck because of it. The awning was expensive for how I'm going to use it but I'm at the stage in life where I can afford it. I'm also anticipating it's going to be trouble-free so that'll be the big deal and I'm going to really like it.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

It got too hot and I wanted a shade. When I looked around, SunSetter Awnings seemed to be fairly good. I called the local company to which they subcontracted and they handled my order. I was on the phone a couple of times with SunSetter's reps and everything was positive. In fact, I haven't had any problems with SunSetter but I had problems with the company that installed my awnings which happened to be one of their approved contractors. There was a little slack in the material and I had to stretch it out. I called and talked to the contractor directly. I asked the them to come out, take a look at the awning, and see if they could adjust it a little bit to make it a little tighter. The lady who did the scheduling was supposed to get back to me to schedule a specific date and time but in spite of two calls, she never did. So they haven't come back and repaired that problem.

The awning I got is a yellow and brown striped, and it's the remote one. It has the wind sensor and the extended warranty that SunSetter sells. When it was installed, the installers showed up on time, did their job, and everything looked pretty good. I’ve used the awning a few times when i was in the backyard, when I had guests, or when I wanted to sit out in the morning, read my paper, and be in the shade where it covers the sitting area. Overall, I would recommend the product but not the installing company. They need to do a better job on following up.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

SunSetter Awnings was the most known company and the easiest to get information about. We have a deck and we had a party in December, and we thought it would be nice to have the area where we put our chairs and tables covered since sometimes it's sunny, sometimes rainy. Their team was efficient and they sent the products right away. We got a 15-foot remote awning with burgundy and white stripes. We put up the awning ourselves and it worked out well. We needed several bodies to put it up but it was easy. We bring it out when it's sunny and it shades the house very well. Sunsetter Awnings was a good choice and I would recommend it.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

SunSetter called me up one day and said they would give me $600 off of the price quote I've had. It was very simple. They priced it attractively so I did it. I had a local dealer if I needed one. Plus more promotion and information were available. We showed everybody the awning and we like it. It does its job. It works great and looks good. We're happy and we would refer it.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

Purchased Sunsetter from previous customer, came with EVERYTHING, initial paperwork, etc. Storm damaged one of the arms, contacted Sunsetter and told they couldn’t do anything, but refer us to authorized dealers who could come out and take a look. The item was out of warranty which was fine because we expected to pay for service call. Contacted the only two dealers they had listed and told by both, “if we didn’t install it, we can’t help”! Offered to pay and they still said no. Unless we purchased another, installed by them, we were out of luck. So, we now have a 20' awning and ALL the accessories sitting on the side of the house. We can sell for parts and that’s it. Where’s the customer service in that? We had somebody install because they could and company wanted an arm and two legs to install it. I’m very disappointed and would not purchase another based on that.

SunSetter Awnings response

We are very sorry to hear of your disappointment regarding service for your awning. At SunSetter, we take great pride in our product quality, our service, and especially in the satisfaction of our customers. We will reach out to you privately to discuss the next steps in bringing your awning back to full functionality.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

A friend of mine had put a SunSetter awning in, and I saw what they had and liked it. They were also happy with it. I did a little research and it seemed that they have good products. Their rep worked with me and I ended up getting a good price and the same motion detector. SunSetter is good to go with.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

Love the awning. Would give it 5 stars. The problem was with your local installation co. - Authority Home Solutions in Ocala Fl. The owner, Chris ** came out and gave us a great sales pitch. After the awning was installed, they left a mess from drilling concrete block which stained our newly painted deck. Mr. ** was a complete ** at that point and told his installers they weren't in the cleanup business. I would not recommend him to anyone.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

Our SunSetter awning has made a significant difference in our outdoor living. The difference in our living room temperatures, due to the shade provided, is really amazing and more than what we expected. Installing, however, was not as easy as implied. These awnings are heavy. I would recommend having it installed rather than doing it yourself. It also is questionable whether it would withstand 55 mph winds as suggested. However, for the most part, it is well worth the investment.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

We have a west facing living room and patio behind the awning, and we were looking for something to help out for the summer sun. We looked at different options and decided we didn’t want a bunch posts out there, so having an awning was the answer. Our neighbor has one that he installed last year and we liked it so we copied. It was easy to reach SunSetter and it’s the same brand of what my neighbor has. We ordered the awnings online and the sales lady was outstanding. She helped me design the thing in terms of what I needed. I needed two awnings and we talked about the measurements, how far they’d go out, and all the good stuff. I ordered them from her with a credit card and less than a week later, they were in my front yard.

A good old neighbor and a couple of other friends came over and we got it together and did it in a morning. It was easy and quick. The afternoon sun kills, so the awnings give us an increased shade and decreased heat, so we love it. I found that they're one inch too high to stop the sun just standing here. But that’s my fault. I highly recommend SunSetter Awnings and I volunteer to help.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

We needed an awning which we got from SunSetter and had a very good experience with their team. One of the awnings that we bought was an automated model. We got an 18 and a 10 footer, and both of them had the same color with higher end cloth. My wife and I installed them and it was easy. One has a wind sensor on it and it worked well. We had it out and when I was demonstrating it to some folks, the wind came up and the awning closed and they were impressed. We’ve enjoyed the experience with SunSetter Awnings a lot. I would recommend it.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

I needed an awning for our back porch. I've always seen SunSetter's commercials and thought I’d give them a shot. I had shoulder surgery, so I had a bunch of friends come over and put the 18-foot deluxe model, remote controlled awning up for me. Setting it up took longer than what the instruction said. It took four guys about four hours to put it up. After my friends left and I went and rolled it out, the awning was tilting really bad to the righthand side. It may be out of balance and break something, so now it’s on the back of the house not being used.

I asked SunSetter if they would pay for somebody to come out and adjust the awning but they said no. We emailed back and forth and they said they would help me adjust it over the phone or through email. They tried to talk me through it, but me not having my friends over, I couldn’t get up there and do anything with it. I wouldn’t be right for about six months. I told them that I needed somebody to come take care of this and they asked if they could send me $50 to help the situation out. But if I called people here in town, they wanted $150 to come out, and I don't have that.

So I’m a little disappointed in SunSetter and I don’t know why they wouldn’t come and take care of business. I've tried calling them twice about it then, I gave up on them. It’s at a stagnant point right now. I spent $1,800 or so on the awning and I expected that when it rolled out, it would be perfect, but it was not. I shouldn’t have to adjust or mess with something when it's brand new. It’s like buying a car. You go back for a $10,000 oil change, it should run perfectly.

SunSetter Awnings response

We are very sorry to hear of your disappointment with your new awning. At SunSetter, we take great pride in our product quality, our service, and especially in the satisfaction of our customers. We will reach out to you privately to discuss the next steps.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

My wife and I were pleased to purchase and operate our Sunsetter Motorized Shade. It was just what we wanted. We expected a the product to work. Nothing more or less. Fair, right? The shade stopped working within 1 year. So, it required a new motor. OK, things happen, and Sunsetter sent a new motor at no charge. But now I need to pay someone to replace the motor. So, 2 install costs for 1 year of product and about 12 (twelve) up/down operations. We have now owned the shade for 2 1/2 years. The motor went bad again. Sunsetter stated they would not send another motor at no cost for the motor. Recognize the product failed at 14 months after replacement and they will not make good on their failed product. Also, the 2nd motor only had approximately 15 operations.

When I talked with Sunsetter they stated I should be able to replace the motor myself. Hard to do when I am handicapped with shoulder and foot disorders. I asked 'do you think my 90 year old mother should be able to replace the motor?' The response was 'yes'. How insulting is that to state I was inept, and my mother should be able to replace the motor. 'Sure, it only weighs 3 pounds'. Really, that is a credible response? And I asked if I should be expected to replace the motor every year and a half. They said yes, that is a possibility. The product is unreliable and the customer service is atrocious. Based on my experience I think it clear this is not a credible product or company to do business.

SunSetter Awnings response

We are very sorry to hear of your disappointment with your EasyShade. At SunSetter, we take great pride in our product quality, our service, and especially in the satisfaction of our customers. We will reach out to you privately to discuss the next steps for your shade.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

We have a southern exposure so we needed the protection. We heard good things about SunSetter Awnings and it seemed to be one of the top ones so we went with it. We spoke to the vendor and they were very good. However, there's a wrinkle when it unfurls so I'm hoping that it will go away in time.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

I’ve always had a concrete deck out back and it’s been really sunny. So, I wanted to get an awning over the top of it and I liked what SunSetter shows on TV where the awnings were rolling out. The company was always handy to get to as well. The purchase was all done by phone and the people I talked to were fine. I got a 16 feet wide awning, right about 12 out from the wall, and it was an electric one. My son and I installed it ourselves in three hours from total scratch and I thought that was good. We hung it up, put the roller on it and plugged it in, then it took off. It was just going through the motions of getting it done and installing the awning was easy and simple. The awning is right on the spot where I needed it and everything is right on the money, too. I’d recommend SunSetter easily.

SunSetter Awnings response

We are pleased that you had a good experience with SunSetter, including self-installation of your awning. We take great pride in our product quality, our service, and especially in the satisfaction of our customers.

We hope you enjoy your awning for years to come!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

A hurricane blew down the first SunSetter awning that we’ve had for about 12 years. We replaced it with a larger SunSetter, and this one is mobile and motorized. We like it very much and we’re very happy. Everything seems to be solid, and I have confidence that it will continue because the other one did so well for so long, and that was why I went back and got a SunSetter. The lady who dealt with me was extremely helpful, efficient, and knowledgeable. I have nothing but good things to say about the company, the product, and the people that represent it.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

The property that we bought had an old SunSetter on it. We replaced it with a motorized one. I like SunSetter. In any of my dealings with SunSetter, the people whom I speak with and the service that I get is very good. The installation experience was interesting. In the application I had that should be used on it, it wasn't intimidating but it was tight-fit. But once we had everything set up and had it delivered in the carton that came in, I had two people help me and it went pretty good. We've got some huge windows that are south facing and we have a large deck out there. The SunSetter blocks out the sun in the summer and keeps the house cool. If one can afford SunSetter, it's a good deal.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

I'm in Florida and I got a 12-foot wide awning with a big opening because of the half sun here. I went with SunSetter but I did not care for the first guy I had out here. The district area manager came and they also had another installer to come. I really like my SunSetter awning and I'm glad I would be able to use it.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I needed an awning above my door and I have one of SunSetter Awnings’ other ones. They were good. My experience with their team was very nice. They explained everything and answered all my questions. I purchased the motorized awning and the installation was fine. I had somebody help me install it. I use it every morning to keep the sun from coming in the back room where we always stay in. It's great and we highly recommend it. They're easy to install and I like the choice of fabrics that we get. You can get anything from fabric to vinyl or whatever. We're really happy with it.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

We have an area in our backyard that we wanted to cover because it was going to be a sitting area and Florida gets ridiculously hot. I bought a SunSetter motorized awning when they had a good sale because they are expensive. When the original package came, it didn't come with the wireless remote that I ordered which will open and close the awning so I emailed them and they shipped it to me. My husband and son installed the awning. There was a piece that they weren't sure if it had to be a certain width apart but after they watched the video, it was cleared up. We really like having the awning. It fitted the area we intended to get covered perfectly. I'm also glad I went with the motorized one since it made a huge difference.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

The subject purchase and installation was performed flawlessly. The awning works as advertised and we are looking forward to getting the most out of it, in the coming Spring/Summer of 2018. Kudos to the installation team, they paid attention to detail and did a great job!!!

SunSetter Awnings Company Information

www.sunsetter.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use