toll free

Malden, MA
toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

We had an 18 foot motorized awning installed and are 100% satisfied. Installation was well accomplished by experienced and courteous technicians. It definitely keeps our patio from heating up early in the morning. So far we have had no issues since installation. Everything is working as advertised.

We got a 14' wide awning that extends to about 11 1/12 feet. It has lights that dim and it will close automatically if it gets windy. We love it. The local SunSetter people were the best. From the moment we decided to buy an awning to the completed it was a great experience.

We have had a manual SunSetter for 10 years - excellent in western exposure in Florida. Recently lost our shade trees in other part of back exposure due to hurricane; we had 2 motorized sunsetters installed over our completely exposed western deck. This is pure Florida western sun exposure. (Very hot!) We are very happy with our awnings. They should help immensely this summer. Very nice looking; well installed. Would definitely recommend.

We are very pleased with our awning (Auto 8x16 feet) and it is very attractive with the brick and the composite decking. I have purchased a grey wicker conversation set to go with it. I purchased a outdoor 5x7 carpet to go with it. It is more brown than I thought and not sure how it is going to look. But we are real pleased with the awning and would do it again.

We are absolutely HAPPY with our retractable awning. Sure cuts down on the sun/heat keeping air conditioning from running so often. Great to get outdoors in the morning & have my coffee/read papers. Also during sprinkling rain I am still able to go outside. Highly recommend this company, service was wonderful for the inexperienced fellow that installed it. Phone personal extremely helpful to get it installed correctly & much easier than originally thought. Sunsetter deserves 10 stars. Thank you.

Motorized Awning -- No response from Customer Service, via email, notifying product delivered w/o appointment. Packages left in carport, standing on ends that were dented, tubes punctured and torn... Luckily, upon opening all items fine BUT no response from Customer Service on "lack of delivery notice and container conditions." Square Bar Fitting for Hood Attachment not a match for Open End of Square Bar (had to file to fit); some of the DVD installation instructions do not match written instruction (out-of-date) and had to replace a mounting bolt that had improper manufactured threads. AFTER all this and finally mounting product it seems to work fine. Dissatisfied due to lack of pre-delivery date/time notification and follow-up customer service. I have recommended to brother in Sacramento, California not to purchase product because of these issues.

Resolution In Progress

SunSetter Awnings

We are sorry to hear that you are disappointed with your awning purchase. Did you reach out to your place of purchase to discuss your concerns? We will reach out to your privately to learn more and offer our assistance.

Original review: April 7, 2017

Overpriced. Too expensive for what you get. Don't like getting letters trying to sell additional warranties. When I called with a question the person at your office acted as if I was bothering him! Much, much overpriced for what you get. Have made two deals with Sunsetter; my first and last!

We couldn't be happier with our awning. From the time the guy came out to quote us and the time we had it installed was only 2 weeks! The installation went without a hitch. We have already recommended it to relatives who are looking to shade their patios.

Factual basis uncertain

SunSetter Awnings

We are sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction with your SunSetter Awning. We at SunSetter take great pride in our product and especially in the satisfaction of our customers. The issue with the fabric drooping can easily be corrected by setting the open stop limit so the awning will stop opening before the fabric starts to droop. We’ll be happy to walk you through that process over the phone. We are mailing you a copy of your Owner's Manual in case you misplaced yours. Appendix A in the Owner's Manual outlines the steps necessary to reset the open and closed stop limits. It can all be done using your remote control. You will also find those instructions on the Owner’s Corner of our website.

We do not recommend leaving the awning open and unattended. Allowing rainwater to collect on the awning fabric would be a problem. The weight of the water could damage the awning, it would stretch the fabric and it could cause personal injury. As long as you don’t allow water to collect on the fabric and you use your Wireless Wind Sensor you should be fine. In the evenings close the awning with a click of a button.

We will reach out to your place of purchase on your behalf and ask them to contact you. Our recommendation is to call us and let us help you reset the stop limits. If you feel that you need assistance from your place of purchase you can discuss that with them when they call.

Original review: March 31, 2017

I have had awning about two years. We paid to have Sunsetter or professionally install it. A few days after the arm caught the fabric and almost ripped it off. They came and adjusted it but it still was hanging low. They came back and adjusted it higher but said I couldn't leave it out all the time because it will continue to sag. I was very unhappy with this because the salesperson said that I could leave it out all the time. I was trying to decide between the awning or building a permanent roof over the porch. I specifically asked the sales person if it could be left out all the time and he said "YES". That was reason the chose this awning.

I felt like the product was totally misrepresented. I spent over $3000 for this awning and he is not doing what I needed to do which is block the sun during the day all day. Probably due to the fact that I leave it out more than I should it's constantly creaking even with the slot is win and hanging lower and lower. I totally regret not going with the permanent roof over my porch.

I am very happy with my awning. It looks beautiful and does the job of blocking the sun from my patio. I would and have recommended this product to friends and family. The installation was quick and the guys cleaned up afterwards.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunSetter Awnings?

Still haven't experience the awning in operation due to a bent roller possibly during shipment. Reported to SunSetter on day we were installing awning we noticed the roller was bent. Sent photos to SunSetter. After SunSetter evaluated photos, a replacement roller was ordered and shipped to me. I am still awaiting the roller delivery so we can replace bent roller.

Other than it getting installed a month late due to shipping, we are very happy with the installation and product. Love the automatic wind sensor that closes the awning to protect it. I would work with them again in the future with certain agreed upon terms.

I'm looking to replace a 16 year old Sun Setter awning. It's still working GREAT but we have redesigned our porch and now have a door on the side that used to be a window and need a model with horizontal supports. The design has changed since 2000 when bought this one, but the solid construction and original laminate material still in good condition. The "old" design took a couple minutes to open and close. It appears the new crank system will be easier. Nevertheless this one has done great and endured many "accidental" exposures to big winds, rain and even occasional snow and held up very well. Well made item :) I'm looking to buy a new 900XT (12 ft model). Arlington Va location btw.

SunSetter Awnings

We are happy to hear you enjoy your SunSetter Awning. We are very sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction with your local awning dealer. We will reach out to the local dealer on your behalf and ask that they contact you to work towards a resolution.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2017

I am very pleased with my Sunsetter Awning; however, I would think twice about purchasing this product again, solely because I would not want to work with the dealer who installed the product again. In my opinion, he was extremely unprofessional for these reasons: 1) After my awning had been installed, I had to ask the dealer to wash down my deck carpet (it was filthy with dirt and debris caused by them); he was planning on leaving when I requested he do this.

2) He said he could not find the siding that needed to be replaced with the installation and asked me to pay everything except for $500 and that when the siding was installed, I could pay the remaining $500. He said he would be back in a week or so to finish the job. I had to make several phones calls (5 weeks later, he told me the summer was the busiest time of year for him and he wouldn't be able to get to me for another week or two).

3) He finally installed the siding in early September. Again, when I came home from work that night, I looked at the siding and it was filthy with dirty handprints (I couldn't even reach it if I tried because I was too high). So again, I asked the dealer to come back and clean the siding. 4) The icing on the cake was after he came back to do this, they had gotten my brand new deck furniture cushions dirty, which I have been unable to clean! I was, and continue to be thoroughly disgusted with the amount of time I had to follow up with this dealer to make sure the awning installation was done professionally and was beyond ticked off that he ruined my deck cushions. Sunsetter is an expensive product. I expect far better service.

We have had our SunSetter for several months and we truly have enjoyed it. We have been able to sit outside more than we usually have. Our new grandson loves the outdoors but he burns easily from the sun, so he has also enjoyed it to the full. We are so glad we got the little extras such as lights, we have received several compliments and hopefully someone will get a new SunSetter because of our recommendations.

We are pleased with our awning, but our experience with customer support was not that great. Mo ** from "Shades of Cool" in Independence was the sales rep. He really didn't seem to know much about what he was selling and wanted us to pay an additional $350 to have some of his crew come and help with installation. We declined installation, due to the cost, and got everything put together ourselves with the help of some friends. We have had problems getting the LED lights to fit in the brackets that were supplied so still do not have working lights under the awning. At the time of sale, Mr. ** told us he didn't even know you could put the LED lights on an Oasis model, so we have not called him back for help.

I called customer service and they told me to watch the video on the website, which does not show a clear picture of how to get the light bars into the clamps/brackets. They sent another package of brackets, but they appear to be the same as the ones that came with the awning. Other than our issue with the lights, we do love the awning. If you have anyone else in our geographic area that could assist us in getting the lights installed, we would appreciate it. However, we don't feel we should have to pay several hundred dollars for this service.

Love the shade color! The exposed wires are unsightly, though. Also wish the aluminum cover was white color instead of cream. The remote control is not programmed right and the lights keep shutting off in just a few minutes after I turn them on. The manual is confusing on how to re-program the remote. I didn't shop around to compare before I bought this product and I now regret that.

SunSetter Awnings

We are sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction with the purchase of your awnings. We see you purchased two awnings in July and another in September, from a local independent awning dealer. We will reach out to you privately to gain a better understanding of your concerns.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2016

Listening skills lacking. I remain dissatisfied with the order of SunSetter Awnings. The owner measured inaccurately to accommodate the size of the home. The issue may be the standard size of the awnings, which limits the ability to fit nonstandard homes. If you need a perfect fit, use Liberty Awnings. Otherwise, seek a distributor that will listen to your needs.

No response received

SunSetter Awnings

We are very sorry to hear about the difficulties you recently experienced with SunSetter Products. We at SunSetter we take great pride in our product quality, our service, and especially in the satisfaction of our customers. We regret any unpleasant experience that a customer may have. We will reach out to you privately and work towards a resolution.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2016

Very Poor. Forced to give you at least one star, but deserve zero. Less than two months after the awning was installed, it stopped closing correctly. Contacted Sunsetter about having it corrected and was advised that we needed to troubleshoot the problem ourselves. This was a waste of $2,700.00. No support by Sunsetter at all. Guess they figure they already have their money.

I bought a 10' by 12' Oasis free-standing awning with power operation. I did the assembly myself. Delivery was somewhat slow, but the unit was packed well and assembly was straightforward. I hired a couple day-workers to help and it only took about 45 minutes. I am impressed with the quality of the unit. The awning material is first-rate and the power operation is smooth. I have not used the Oasis much this year, so I have no opinions about its durability, but it looks as if it will last well. One of the end-caps on the awning was missing after assembly and some small damage was done to the corner of the awning material. I do not know if the damage was done during assembly or during shipping. The end-cap is a small part about 2 inches square. At any rate SunSetter supplied a replacement part at no cost. I would rate the Oasis at four-and-a-half stars. And, if it holds well up through next summer, I will recommend it to friends.

New home and a very hot summer. This is one of the best choices we have made since we married in 1968. The addition of the SunSetter Awning to our patio. Installers did a great and fast job of getting it up and it works flawlessly. Storm came out of nowhere and it closed itself so no worries about forgetting to retract it. Evenings and when we have guest over we turn on the LED lights and grill or play cards then turn them down and relax to some mood music. We will never regret this purchase and the memories created under this awning.

Residential: We've had a deck for over 25 years. Thanks to our new SunSetter, we are now spending many many hours enjoying the deck. Our cats love it too. Only regret... Wish we had purchased an awning years ago! (Purchased motorized unit with wind sensor.)

We bought our first awning and installed it on the west side of the house before I had installed our deck. We fell in love with the awning immediately because it did so well in reducing the temperature on the inside of the house. I did become disappointed with the awning because the one I bought was too small (11') and had the laminated fabric. After seven years of enjoying that awning (and finally getting the deck installed), I bought a 14' XL awning with woven acrylic fabric, wireless wind sensor, aluminum hood, and front weather breaker panel. We are very well pleased with the upgrade. The product is extremely well built, giving me no maintenance problems all of time we have owned one. Customer service has been superior every time I have felt a need to call for help. I couldn't recommend any product I own more highly.

No response received

SunSetter Awnings

We appreciate the opportunity to address your situation. We will reach out to you privately and work with your towards a resolution.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2016

I will never recommend anyone to purchase your shade. I purchased your shade in July. It is still sitting on the ground along my house. This is a nightmare. I wish I never did business with you.

SunSetter Awnings

We are sorry to hear of your experience with your local awnign dealer. We will reach out to you privately to offer assistance.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2016

Rep visits me on 7/22/16. I place an order on 7/22/16. Paid in full on 7-22-16 by check number ** for $1220.00. I told rep I have friends who will install 900xt awning. He told me if anyone other than authorized dealer's contractors installed awning the contract would be void. He tells me the cost would be $600 charge for their people to install. Long story short warranty would not be affected at all whomever installed it. Authorized dealer refuses to give me a refund. He could care less. I am sick of repeating this.

Came to install back in Sept I had to crawl under the arm to be able to stand on my deck. One of the installers told me the awning was not made to fit the type of deck I have. It looked hideous. The awning was too long and not wide enough. The installers insinuated this is how it's gonna be. They never said "Wait we can make this work." Basically they acted like this is it. They even admitted they would not accept this nor pay over $1000 for the awning. Spoke to auth dealer 2 weeks ago and have called him but no return call, no awning. And he cashed my check a few days after I gave check to rep. I told him I am taking this to court and he said "Go ahead. I don't care."

Never in my life have I encountered a business like this nor treated like this. My neighbor was interested in purchasing an awning but she told me after seeing what I have been through and seeing the awning installed... SunSetter is the last place she would purchase an awning. Also the infomercial on tv is very misleading. I thought when I contacted SunSetter at the phone number on the infomercial I would have the 90 day no risk guarantee advertised. Wrong. This company has caused me a great amount of stress and anxiety. I already suffer from anxiety and manic depression. Beware is all I can say.

I am preparing for court. My dealings with this company has physically and mentally made me sick. I am disabled and I receive a set income and am a single mom caring for my 12 year old. SunSetter customer service... waste of time... even an hour long call with a supervisor did not offer help. Another wasted call. Oh and I have spoke with several supervisors at SunSetter. Now More Time Wasted When I Take 3 different companies connected to SunSetters including SunSetter. I have worked for attorneys for 30 Years. I look forward to going to court with my consumer law attorney.

After 20 years of having the sun beating into the living/dining room and our south facing deck too hot to use, we decided to get an electric SunSetter with a wind sensor on it. It is fabulous! We go out often and eat breakfast there and sit and relax. We live in the country, in a hay pasture, and deal with lots of wind--the wind sensor is a life saver--we don't have to worry about it at all. Can't wait for next summer to see the difference in our A/C bills, either. Plus it's such a match in appearance for our house that it looks like it was designed to be there all along.

My unit was an 18 foot awning, motorized and extra length. The installation of the mounting brackets was pretty straightforward. Locating studs was the difficult part. This is a large unit with a weight of about 130 lbs so it should have been a two person installation. I did not have anyone to help so I did it myself. It was difficult but I managed. I also purchased the wind sensor unit which works great so I am pleased with that. Overall, it is a well made unit but it is costly. I looked at others and choose this one because it looked sturdy enough to withstand shore conditions. The material we chose was the heavy woven stripped. With a length this long, it is spliced with heat tape so it will be interesting to see how well these joints hold up in the intense heat of summer.

I do not like the center tube that the covering wraps up on. It is not perfectly straight so it kind of wobbles when extending and contracting. It rubs on the center guide which I don't like. I am not certain if there is an adjustment that can be made. At the moment it is wrapped for the winter with the cover they sent me as a free gift. The clips supplied for the cover are just plastic and I really don't expect them to last. So after spending over $3100.00 on this unit, time will be the test if it was worth the extra dollars to go with SunSetter. I am hoping it will be.

We are extremely pleased with our awning. It allows us to spend more time out on our deck. Had a friend help me install and even though it was heavy it was not difficult to install. Took a couple of hours. Took 4 of us to lift it into place because of the weight (it's a large awning). Sales staff were very helpful when I spoke to them over the phone. Only complaint I have is that there wasn't a local dealer in the north Texas area. It turned out that we didn't need the dealer, but it would have been nice to be able to have the option of an installer and to be able to look at actual samples of materials.

I thought it would be a little wider. The person who measured gave me a spot on the house where it would come to and it is short of that by a foot. My location, my fault, does not help with morning sun. I would take more time determining best location for desired shade before I spend the money again. The automatic function is a must have. Love the ease of operation.

Very professional from sales to installation. The salesman even called to office to see if an ad I had received was a better price than the deals he was familiar with! It wasn't for what we wanted. We love the awning... So easy to use with the remote. Would definitely recommend Sunsetter (and have) to others in our senior community.

A very worthwhile purchase to enhance my home and add to its appearance and liveable space. My deck is HOT during the summer, morning to mid afternoon. This awning saves my deck so we can use the deck the entire day. We love it.

We love our awning. It is high quality, easy to use, fits perfectly, looks great, and provides the shade that we need since there are no trees in the back of our property.

Our SunSetter Awning has saved us money and comfort. It has been very this summer and our home faces west so we were unable to use our deck in the afternoon but now it is comfortable and it also keeps the living room cooler. We really love our SunSetter Awning.

SunSetter Awnings

We are happy to hear you love your awning! We are disappointed to know that you were not happy with the installation service provided by your local independent awning dealer. We will reach out to them on your behalf and ask that they contact you to discuss and rectify your concerns.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2016

Love the awning. The install was and is a fiasco. Parts could have had better placement. They had to come back. The awning slants. The caulking is sloppy. The truck smashed a bottle of touch up paint on the driveway. There's more but you get the idea.

Delivery and installation went very well. Happy with the awning as it eliminates the heat from the sun rays in our family room, thereby keeping the room cooler without turning the air conditioning temperature down. Thank you.

SunSetter Awnings Company Profile