Call toll free
4.52/5

Malden, MA

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

SunSetter Awnings offer both manual and motorized awnings that provide shade and protection, transforming your patio or deck. Our awnings provide cool shade that can help in those hot and humid months and helps keep the inside of your home cooler by blocking the sun's rays from coming in your windows and doors.

We want to provide you with the highest quality awnings at the absolute best prices. We provide a free in-home consultation and are committed to a long-term relationship with our customers.

SunSetter Awnings Gallery (1)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1347 SunSetter Awnings Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 5 featured reviews
Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

It gets hot here in Sebring. Last month, the thermometer in the backyard was reading over a 100. I wanted to do an aluminum closure, but the counties down here are crazy with their permits and anything that’s permanently attached isn’t tax-free. So, I decided to purchase an awning. The people from SunSetter Awnings did a great job. Joe, the guy who came in, was a very nice man. He went over a whole bunch of stuff and he was very thorough.

We looked at the book which has the material in it and gives you a good view of what the pattern actually is. It has colors that SunSetter's TV advertisements do not show and they should show all those colors because some people would like different ones. I picked one out of the pamphlet and then Joe called me up a couple of days later. He said that they didn't have that color at the time, but it would take about three weeks to get it when you order it. A week later, he called me and said SunSetter got the color in so I could still get it if I want it. I told him to change the order back to the original one we picked and everything worked out well.

Joe, together with the technical guy that he had with him, also did the installation and I was very impressed with them. Joe kept me informed of everything including shipping, they did what they were supposed to do, and they had all the tools they needed so they didn’t have to go running around for nothing. They even changed some things as far as the way they wired the awning to the way I wanted it. The only issue I had was they forgot the side curtains that came with the package deal that I bought, but it was no problem. I called them up about that and Joe said they got the curtains. Then in about ten minutes, he called me back and asked me if he could bring the curtains the following week, which he did.

I’m pleased with the awning. It works fine and I got the remote control on it. It also does what they say it would do. It cuts the temperature down and you could sit out there when it’s 90 degrees and you’re not dying. You put the awning back and you’re soaking wet in ten minutes. The only thing you gotta do is remember to close it. I bought the wind sensor thing, but still, I have to close the awning because when it poured rain and it got wet, I hit the button standing there waiting for the water to come off, and the water came but the sensor didn't let me know it was coming so I got soaked.

I was not happy with the light kit that came with the awning too. It has cords in between it that are kinda curled up like crinkly or curly fries. I’m 6’4 and the outside back comes in just a little bit lower than 7 foot. Those wires hung down and when I'd walk out there, they were about to touch my head. So, I called SunSetter up, talked to Joe and asked him if I could get some of the little plastic clips they have to hang with the lights.

He called me back a day later and said that SunSetter would ship me those for nothing. I told him I'd pay them since that was something I wanted extra to put up there, so the wires would be out of the way. He said, "No," and told me I could send them back if I want. He then gave me a phone number to call which I called really quick. The rep who answered the phone was also nice. I was told that the clips were shipped the day before I called and I should have them the next day. So, I can't complain about that. The awning's got a wind warranty on it as well so if anything goes wrong with it, SunSetter will fix it. I'd recommend SunSetter to everybody. They’re not cheap, but they’re good. I’m very, very happy with them.

Get expert buying tips about Awnings delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

We’ve been customers with SunSetter Awnings for a long time. We started out in the 80s buying an awning and their product is absolutely fantastic. Their flagpoles are resistant to anything and they are wonderful products. However, their downfall is their shipping. They say it’s free shipping but they use UPS. On one of our purchases, I kept calling and saying, “You said it would be two weeks, now it’s three weeks. Where is it? Now, it’s four weeks.” They said that UPS lost it. Those were 12 feet long tubes and they lost two of them, so the summer was practically over before we got them. We ordered an Oasis, a new product that's free-standing, and a regular one to be attached. I ordered them in June, but we got them in August.

I ordered another one again and the product itself was excellent. And just recently, I ordered another one and it came through UPS. The man from the UPS who delivered it wrote an ink on the label that the tube, which is tough hardboard, had been punctured, but they didn’t see any reasonable damage. I called SunSetter and I said that we haven’t opened it because I needed a handyman to put them up. I also read to them what the note read and I said, “So when we open it up, if there is any damage, I want you to be aware of it.” The customer service team was excellent and they were apologetic. I called to say that there was a slice in the tube and they said that they took all my notes down. They also said, “We tell them not to use a forklift but many times they do and using a forklift, they puncture the tube.”

SunSetter is an excellent product and I don’t think it can be beaten. Since we lost the whole summer with the UPS losing the product, at a certain point, I said to them, “The summer will be gone and we still don’t have it. Can you just order us a new one?” They said they make them as they are ordered and they are not something that is kept in stock. I finally convinced them to create two new ones for us and get it within the two weeks that they promised. Within a week, the original ones appeared, so I quickly called them and canceled the second order. They were very accommodating in trying to placate us by saying, “We’ll throw in a free cover and a few other items,” that are accessories that we didn’t need. They tried to be accommodating by giving us those items for free which were about a total of $500 retail, which was considerate.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

We’ve been wanting an awning for several years now and we know people who have SunSetter Awnings and they’ve always seemed to be very happy with them. The price was very good and we purchased a burgundy awning with tan stripes. It can do motorized operation but if the electricity happened to be out, I could do it manually. SunSetter was late in getting the awning to us though. When we got a hold of them to find out what had happened, they said their orders were way up and that they would have to special make ours. So it was a couple weeks more than what they had told us in the beginning but they clarified that they were behind schedule because they had a lot of orders. Still, we tracked it with a tracking number, and when they said it would be here, it was promptly here.

The instructions were very good and once my husband and a couple of friends laid the awning out the right way, they were able to put it up. It’s heavy so they had a little bit of trouble but other than that, it was very easy to install Since then, it has worked wonderfully. Anytime it’s really sunny and we wanna use our patio, we put the awning out. The advertisement said that it’ll lower the temperature of our patio by about 30 degrees and it definitely has done that. We got the hood for the awning too so it would keep the snow off and in the rain. That works well also. We’ve had a very good experience with SunSetter Awnings and I’d absolutely recommend them. They stand behind their word and they make a very good product.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

When I work out in the yard, I don’t have any place to go without getting right in the sun. I’ve also got a table and chairs out there and I’ve been wanting an awning for a long time to put on this deck at the back. Then I got SunSetter brochures in the mail that said that you would get $350 off if you would order it by a certain time, plus you would get six patio lights to go across it. When I called them to get an estimate on it, they came right away and they put the order in that night. Then it came here in about three weeks, but I didn’t like the way they delivered it. The guy just pulled up in front of the house and opened up the back of the truck, pushed it out, and dragged it into the garage.

We had to have the awning installed on the top of the house because there was not enough room above the door to put it. They had three guys to install it and it didn’t take ‘em too long. Then as quick as the guys unrolled it, I saw that it had spots all over right away. They got the ladder out and got up there and they said that it was where the ink dye dropped and went all the way through it. For the price I paid, I wasn’t gonna accept it. So they ordered a new replacement canvass that night and I got it within three weeks. But, they have never come to replace it.

The second time I called SunSetter, I told them that the new replacement was here. I also asked how I could order one of those wind sensors to put on there, so if I'd be in the house and wind would come up, it wouldn't damage the awning. They then said that they would order the wind sensor and pay for it. Then I could just pay them $295 plus tax when they would come out to install this new canvass and the wind sensor. So I’ve got a bunch of money tied up with this awning, but it’s gonna be worth it. Sunsetter advertises that if you’re under their awning, it’s 20 degrees cooler than it is outside. But on a really hot day, I stayed under the awning and it did go down 10 degrees, so it does help.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

We were gonna build a hard patio cover, but there were some challenges with the clearance that we had to do that, so we looked at SunSetter for quite a while and we made a decision to go with their product. Though we looked at other options, the SunSetter was the best one for what we were working with. The rep came out and we talked about it. We did some measurements, paid the deposit and ordered it. It took a week or two to get the product in and once it came in, he made contact to set up a date to come and install it, and it all worked really well. It was a good experience.

We got the motorized awning and it is remote-controlled. We just push the button and it goes out. We can take it out as far as we wanna take it out. We can take it all the way out or we can only go halfway with it. It depends on what we are looking for and it is something that we can take out and bring back in. It is on the patio that is right in front of the swimming pool. When we wanna go out and it’s sunny, we can let the awning go out. Then, we put it back in because if the wind kicks up, we don’t want it to get torn off. It’s a fabric-type cover with a metal frame on it but it works very well and I don’t have any issues with that. It’s a good product.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunSetter Awnings?

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Purchasing an awning had been on my mind for years and now was the time to do it. The guy from SunSetter that first came over explained everything, and we wrote up a contract. He then called me ahead of time and his crew came in. It looked like they were tearing down the whole house, but they did it right. They put the awning up, tested it out and it was great. We chose the color to match up with the roof, and the trim around all the windows are also the same color. We got the electric model without the wind sensor since it would roll up if the wind started getting too much. I also got the remote and it’s up on the wall here so I can undo it and do it when I want. The few times I've had to pull the awning out to show other people, it worked perfectly.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

We have been in this house for 32 years and we had a patio out at the back but we can never sit on it from 1:00 o'clock to 5:00 because the sun was on it. I've been wanting to get some kind shade, and we went to Sunsetter since they had a good deal and they had the color I wanted. The salesperson came here two different times. The first time he did, he explained everything including the sunrooms, screen rooms, and pergolas. Then he came again, and I decided on the awning. He was good. The one I have is a motorized awning with remote control. It's navy blue with a white pinstripe and it has a wind sensor on it.

The installation took three hours. They came at 9:00, and they were done after 12:00. They even took a break ‘cause it was a very hot day, and they went and got some water and gotten shade for a little bit. They were very skilled and you could tell that they had done this before. After they were done with the installation, they showed me about the lights, how to turn them on and then to dim them. I caught how to turn them on, and then for days, I tried to dim them, and I couldn't get them to dim. I went through the book and DVD but nowhere in there said how to dim the lights. So I called their representative and he told me what I was doing and how it should have been done. Dimming the lights was very simple, but it's not in the book and not in the video either.

Other than that, the awning changed our outdoor activities immensely. In fact, I got out some Adirondack chairs and plants. You can go out there first thing in the morning and also sit out there in the sun from 1:00 till 5:00. It has LED lights too so you can go out in the evening after supper and sit with the lights on. Overall, I'm ticked at how it turned out. It's like another room.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I had my solar Sunsetter Shade installed and the solar energy only last two weeks and then it dies out. I have to manually take the solar panel off the shade, put it in the sun all day and then put it back on the shade. Only lasts two weeks again. The panel has been replaced and I have the same problem. I have another solar shade that doesn't get as much sun as the second one and have never had a problem with it. This company, Sunsetter Shades will not and does not repair their own product. You have to call an independent contractor to fix it. Sunsetter will not reimburse you for the repair either. After 90 days you're stuck with an inferior product. Not happy with this product or company.

SunSetter Awnings response

We are very sorry to hear of your disappointment with your Solar EasyShade. At SunSetter, we take great pride in our product quality, our service, and especially in the satisfaction of our customers.

All of our products sold to the public are designed as do-it-yourself kits, with customers either putting up and maintaining their SunSetters themselves or hiring a trusted handyman or dealer for help.

The solar panel for your EasyShade needs to be in direct sunlight in order to charge enough for standard use--it does not need to be mounted directly on the shade. We are sending you a replacement solar panel. If you should need any form of extension to provide more sunlight for your shade, please contact us at your earliest convenience.

Please don't hesitate to contact us should you need additional assistance.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

My SunSetter awning was getting old. It has been many years since I got it and I needed another one for upstairs. Since the first one lasted for a long time and the motor is still good I decided to still go for SunSetter. I left the existing motor because it was still good and I just changed the fabric and then for upstairs I added a whole new set, which is 8 feet. The installation team was professional.

The awnings keep the deck clean and since it’s waterproof it keeps us from the rain and dirt. However, it’s important to pick a good SunSetter dealer because I had a couple of issues. There was a problem with the installation but they came right away and fixed it. The product is also very costly. A friend of mine found a much cheaper deal with the same fabric and that was something that I found out after. Nevertheless, SunSetter has an excellent product.

SunSetter Awnings response

We are pleased that you are continuing to enjoy your Awning. At SunSetter, we take great pride in our product quality, our service, and especially in the satisfaction of our customers.

Please don't hesitate to contact us should you need any assistance. We hope you continue to enjoy your awning for years to come!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

We wanted an awning for the convenience of our patio. We decided to go with SunSetter and they went about their business without any problems. Other than being very cooperative, they’re also very informative people. They gave us a good education on the operation and what to look for when it comes to warranty. They installed the awning 3 weeks after we ordered it and did a good job. We’ve now been using the awning regularly every day. We’re out there in the patio more often.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

We looked at a SunSetter awning before but it was out of our price range. Then we got the coupon and the packet in the mail which said $250 or something off. It had all the prices listed in it so we could do the math and figure out what we could afford and it prompted us to look at buying the awning seriously again. Then we made the phone call and their local rep was very accommodating. His name was Robin and he was very nice. When he came to the house, he was here on time and he went over everything. It was a low to no pressure sale and he helped us get the awning delivered.

We had an issue with UPS for the delivery and they were difficult to get in touch with. They would leave one message and when we tried to call them back, we couldn’t connect. It took almost two days and Robin had to call them and said he would pick it up at this location. So, that was a bit of a dissatisfier but it was more the UPS side of it. Once Robin had the awning and he came to the house, my husband helped him put it in the yard. Then that following Saturday, he and another guy came and installed it in about two hours. It seemed to go out very easy and there were no issues at all. Robin also installed it when he said he was going to.

We went with the 10 x 20 awning and the color is like a burgundy and taupe almost with white stripes. It's beautiful. We got the electric one so it automatically comes out. We also got the sensor so that if it's too windy and the awning is out, it will retract on its own. Considering the fact that we've had a real warm spell this summer, it has really helped keep the area of our deck over our garage, which is kind of a game room, a lot cooler. Even with the blistering heat that we had, we were able to enjoy being outside a little bit more and the awning has extended our ability to use the outdoor space. So it was a perfect year to do it with the weather and overall, everything was very good with our experience.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

I’m an elderly person and I like to get out on the patio and soak up some of that sunshine. But I can’t stand the sun too long. That was why I got the awning and my neighbor was the one who recommended that I get the SunSetter. I got the motorized XL one and I could only get it one fabric. They have different patterns though. However, I haven’t gotten all that they’re supposed to send me. They've sent me the side panel but I'm still waiting on the front one. I guess it's on back-order.

SunSetter was also not available to put the awning up but I got a number from them. I was told that they could come and put it up but when they told me what the installation would cost, it was high. The person I hired to put it up did a fine job though. Now that I have the SunSetter awning, I can get out on my patio and stay longer. Initially, I had decided not to get one because it’s so windy here. In fact, I was about to lose my awning yesterday. I had it all reeled out and I was sitting out there and enjoying myself. All of a sudden, a gust of wind came up and I thought it was coming down but it didn’t. I hit the button really quickly and put the awning back in. It seems to be working all right.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

The sun was shining right at my kitchen patio door. Also, in the morning, when the sun dawned over the house, it would shine on my neighbor's house and it was really bright. I purchased a 12-foot wide motorized awning from SunSetter that goes out about 9 feet. The installers couldn't have been any nicer. They were very professional. Thus far, we really like the awning.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

My back deck has a lot of sun and we couldn’t stay out there. It was just so hot. So we said to go put the awning and the lady who came to the house was very knowledgeable. She brought samples and did a lot of explaining so I didn’t really have to ask a lot of questions. She answered the questions before I even asked them. Our experience with the SunSetter team was also very good and everything came in a fairly timely manner. They said it would be three to four weeks and it was three to four weeks. I didn’t have to wait.

The installation didn’t take very long either. They were here for about two hours. They couldn't find me a starter and they had to take it down and put it back up again. But it was fine in the end and I was very pleased. I got the motorized awning and they explained how to open and close it. We aren't home during the day and the sun only comes in the evenings so we usually go outside in the evening. I really like the awning. It’s good quality and easy to use. It also looks good in the house and it looks like it’ll last a long time.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

We had looked at awnings in others places before but they were so high. We put it off until finally, we called SunSetter. Everybody was nice over the phone. But the guy who brought the awning down here on the truck wasn't too happy, probably because there wasn't anybody here to do his job for him. He really just pushed the awning off the truck. It's motorized and as large an awning as SunSetter makes it. It took several to put it up but it's up and working fine. We have a deck and an above ground pool and it was so hot out there so we really needed an awning. With the way our house is located and the way the sun comes in, it is doing a good job in part of our sun room but it's not in the lower end. Still, we're high pleased with the SunSetter awning.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

Ordered a Vista 15' awning and waited for delivery after the first ship date was pushed back weeks. When it finally showed up, UPS freight left it on our back deck without a signature. The tube it was shipped in looked damaged and one end was open. Not a SunSetter created issue, but the response has been poor. First call I was told to take the awning out of the tube and inspect it, they would then ship me any parts I needed to repair any damage. I told them after paying what we paid I had no interest in fixing a brand new awning. After many calls and emails I had no choice but to take the awning out of the tube and found that the "free" cover and all the mounting was missing along with the touch up paint.

More calls and I was told to install the awning since the cover was on back order, in fact they told me they had 1000 covers on back order. Watched the install instructions and read the install book, both said to mount the cover before the awning. Called again and was told they would ship me the install kit via second day shipment. Would have been good but it did not ship for three days and when I received it all that was I the shipment was two mounting clips, not a complete mounting kit. Called again and was told I was not shipped the correct material...no kidding.

Still waiting for mounting kit and the install instructions for the cover are built around having the cover, which I still have no idea when I will receive. Actually was willing to return but since the shipping tube was damaged when received it we tossed it. Believe it or not they told me I could ship it back but would have to pack it in a "box" to ship it back. A box for a 15' awning??? Needless to say if I could return I would. At this point we still don't have the awning up after all this time. My advise, check out local companies so you have someone who is interested in the sale and is willing to solve any issues.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

We had an awning at the back and I decided to get another one from the same outfit, SunSetter Awnings. The guys that put the awning up were okay. I wanted it under eaves and and the guys said that it can't be done because it was slanted so it had to go under roof. I wasn't happy about that but it was my fault too because the salesman said that could be put under eaves. Other than that, I was satisfied with SunSetter.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

My interactions with SunSetter were good. However, the salesman didn't do a couple of things I asked for, but that could have been a miscommunication. I wanted the hard cover and he gave me the soft cover. I tried to explain my situation but I guess he didn't understand it. He also never mentioned the sensors to close it automatically if it’s windy, which the installers did. I've spent $3,000 on the awning and the salesman should have explained something better. But the awning is a nice piece so we like it. I got the motorized one and the quality is good.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

Our deck was very sunny, and our neighbors had SunSetter and I saw theirs and liked it. The rep was very nice and helpful. We got a motorized awning and the installation went excellently. We have a sliding glass door with a big half-moon window above. We had the awning put above that because it gets too much sun into the room and heats up the house. We’re very happy with the awning and I'd definitely tell friends to buy it.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

We moved into this place and thought an awning would help over our deck. Several years ago, we bought one for someone's daughter who really liked it, so we decided to get one too. At first, SunSetter Awnings was hard to get a hold of. We finally got a hold of them and they signed us up. However, they were having trouble getting a shipment from Chicago. We were about ready to give up the whole nine yards and they were too, but they had finally gotten the shipment. Then they came and put it in.

The installation went fine. SunSetter Awnings had three men to start off, but they had to call the main place to set up the computer on the awning and that took forever to do. The first person they had on the line was in training and didn’t know exactly what he was doing. Eventually, they got to the right person and had it set up. It had been fine ever since then. However, they were supposed to bring us back a different remote control, but I never heard back from them on that.

We use the awning every day because it’s very hot during the day. We were mainly worried about the sunroom that we have on one side with all the windows. The awning gives the sunroom shade, but it also takes in our bedroom and it really helps keep some of the heat from coming into the room. Overall, our SunSetter is excellent. Several people in our area have them already and I haven’t heard anybody complain about the brand at all.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

We just moved into a condo and the sun hit our back section from the south and it was heating up fast, so we wanted to have some covering over our patio. The neighbors in our complex all have SunSetter and they have restrictions. They only want us to have SunSetter of two different types. The SunSetter sales rep went through the pricing and he was helpful. When the installers came, they did a wonderful job and we were very satisfied with them.

I was reading the manual after they had left and it says that if I want to make any adjustment on my own, there was a certain size Allen wrench that came with it but they didn’t leave that. That’s not a big deal though. Allen wrenches are a dime a dozen, so if I ever wanna do that, I can certainly get one on my own. I use the awning every day and it's great. I just pick up the remote. It goes out or back in. The sun doesn’t hit us now. It doesn’t get too hot in the back of the house and we've enjoyed the awning since we've got it. My friends would also enjoy having the awning and there was no problem dealing with the company.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

SunSetter had a presentation at a home show we went to and with the way the guy presented himself, we decided to get an awning from them. My husband decided to book an appointment with the salesman. This salesman was kind, honest and knowledgeable but not pushy. I liked his approach. The installation went very well and the team was professional. They came out, went to work and knew their stuff. They showed up when they were supposed to and did what they were supposed to do without wasting time that it was enough to answer questions and to demonstrate everything.

We had a very good experience with SunSetter and we thought of getting an awning because we are retired and are spending more time at home but it is hot during the day. Now, the porch and deck are cooler. I felt like the porch was more of a room instead of just a deck. My husband opens the awning up every morning, and most days, we are sitting out there. When the sun comes around, I pull it back a bit to make sure that the geraniums get enough sun when the sun starts moving to the other side of the house. The product is well-made and it makes me wanna spend a lot more time out.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

Wanted a SunSetter for years. Finally ordered it, waited 8 weeks and the installers were installing it. Then came the "knock, knock" and "We're sorry but the arm is broken and it has to go back". Meantime, I already have the ugly brackets on the roof. Dealer got it replaced (wanted to send pictures but were told not necessary). A second part was received and not only was it the wrong part it too was damaged. Now supposedly a whole new awning is being sent. It's 8/27 and I've been waiting since 6/8. When I call customer service they just tell you that you have to talk to the dealer. The dealer has been fine. Sunsetter evidently doesn't have QC of their manufacturing or their packing. No concern is ever expressed by customer service whatsoever.

It is their brand that is being tarnished when I tell my story. And of course, when I have company on the patio they always ask what are the brackets on the roof? So many people have heard of the experience. I have no idea what to expect when the 3rd shipment arrives but I don't have hope it will be in good shape based on their history of QC and disinterest. The indication of a good company is how they handle the challenging situations and make good on them... Not the case with the Sunsetter company. You are just a sale to them and if you bought from a dealer that they authorized and back, you are of no interest to them whatsoever. It's amazing to me especially in this day of social media. This is the first review I have ever posted. But I've given up on their customer service department.

SunSetter Awnings response

We are very sorry to hear of your disappointment with your new awning. At SunSetter, we take great pride in our product quality, our service, and especially in the satisfaction of our customers.

We will reach out to you privately to discuss your experience with SunSetter customer service and with your independent SunSetter dealer.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

I liked SunSetter's local dealer and I ended up purchasing a motorized awning from them. When they put it in, the installation was very straightforward. However, I'm a little disappointed with the remote's design. The buttons are backwards on it and it is the most ridiculous design fault I’ve ever seen in my life. I asked the dealer about it and I was told that every single person that they ever set up a motorized awning with had complaints on the very same thing. All they had to do was flip the buttons around but I haven't done that and it’s a pain in the neck enough that I will have to probably do it someday. SunSetter Awnings was also a little overpriced for what I got. The remote's design ought to be right for what I spent.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

I wanted an awning to protect my sunroom from the east sun. I heard of SunSetter and did a little research, and it looked like it was exactly what I needed. The installation guy showed up when he was supposed to and did a good job. I’m very pleased with the awning. It works just fine and I would highly recommend it.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

We put a new deck on and got a SunSetter awning. I use it always to block the sun and right now, it could block the rain. It was nice when I talked to the installation guy with an opinion. He came afterwards and did it, so I was satisfied. They have a very terrific team and they treat you with kindness and fairness. I would highly recommend SunSetter. I tell everybody when they come here how I really like the awning.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

The SunSetter awning looks nice. It’s motorized. Then they gave us a crank to close it if something went wrong. Their reps were nice.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

I purchased a motorized awning from SunSetter. The installation went well and everybody was nice. I use it when I sit outside and it keeps the sun off my house too. So far, its functionality and quality are good. I’m pleased with SunSetter Awnings.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

My deck gets really hot and my neighbor has an awning, so I decided to purchase one from SunSetter. A local team installed it and then I had a few problems afterward. The people that installed it should come back out, but they told me, no and I had to get in touch with SunSetter. The SunSetter rep was very helpful and told me what to do. I had to crawl on the ladder and fix it myself, which I was not happy with since it had only been in place for about a week. Other than that, the awning keeps the sun off and I’m pleased with it. It is a standard taupe-colored attached awning that goes in and out with a remote control.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

My husband and I ordered replacement fabric for our SunSetter awning on July 24, 2018. We were told it would arrive within 3-4 weeks. Over three weeks passed, and I noticed I had received an email confirming shipment of our awning cover, but had not received an email regarding the actual awning. I contacted SunSetter and the representative informed me that our material had been backordered and that it had not shipped yet. Irritated that I had not been informed sooner given that the summer was coming to an end, I asked what SunSetter was doing for its customers who were affected by this backorder. She offered to send me a cleaning kit free of charge. I told her I wanted to speak with my husband to see if he wanted to cancel the order and wait until next year, since the awning would just sit outside in the rain all season.

When I mentioned canceling the order, the rep (after first threatening that there was no guarantee that prices wouldn’t go up next year) informed me that the awning would be shipping on August 20th (which was only 5 or so days away) and that it was being shipped FedEx to make up for the delay. She said it would be arriving by the end of that week. Feeling that this was an appropriate solution, I got off the phone and spoke with my husband, who agreed. We called back and accepted the cleaning kit (which we found out later doesn’t even work on the fabric we ordered) and agreed to go forward with the order. August 20th came and went, and I still did not receive a confirmation email regarding the awning shipment. On August 23rd, I told my husband to call SunSetter to see what was going on.

My husband spoke with another representative who said that the material was backordered and wouldn’t be shipped for another 1-2 weeks. My husband informed the rep that we were assured the awning would ship on the 20th. Apparently, that was a lie. So, that meant the awning wouldn’t be arriving until mid-September, assuming that this new estimate was true. SunSetter offered us some deck lights (which we have no use for, and declined), but refused to offer a monetary discount on the product that they had literally failed to deliver. This type of delay, on an awning meant to be used in the summer months, with no genuine recompense offered is outrageous.

It is the company’s fault that we didn’t receive our product when promised, and it didn’t cost the company, it cost us the second half of the summer without an awning to shade our deck and keep our utility bills down. Needless to say, we cancelled the order. I haven’t researched whether we can get the fabric elsewhere, because if we can, we will. This company treated us poorly: they failed to deliver our product as promised, lied to us regarding the situation, and refused to compensate us for their fault. Very disappointed with this experience.

SunSetter Awnings expert review by ConsumerAffairs

SunSetter Products is America’s largest awning manufacturer. They specialize in retractable deck and patio awnings, freestanding awnings, window awnings and vertical solar shades. Customers can either buy awnings and install it themselves or have a free in-home consultation with SunSetter dealers who can install the awnings.

• Free consultation: The free consultation gives customers a chance to work directly with a SunSetter dealer and get expert advice on awnings and installation.

• Toll-free customer service line: Customer with issues or questions can receive support from their customer service hotline.

• Wide selection: Being the largest manufacturer of deck and patio awnings in America, SunSetter has a wide selection of awnings, fabrics and colors to choose from.

• Customer service: Because they are a national company with many different offices, their customer service varies depending on location.

• Best for: Homeowners, Business Owners