4.40/5

Malden, MA

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

SunSetter Awnings offer both manual and motorized awnings that provide shade and protection, transforming your patio or deck. Our awnings provide cool shade that can help in those hot and humid months and helps keep the inside of your home cooler by blocking the sun's rays from coming in your windows and doors.

We want to provide you with the highest quality awnings at the absolute best prices. We provide a free in-home consultation and are committed to a long-term relationship with our customers.

SunSetter Awnings Gallery (1)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

SunSetter Awnings Reviews

View 5 featured reviews
Original review: June 28, 2019

SunSetter was highly recommended and advertised. It also seemed to suit the bill for what I needed. I had a slab that was already poured and was used, but nothing to keep the bright sun on that west side from coming in that’s why I went for it and called them and asked them to come out. They did the installation very quickly. It was done beautifully and I really enjoyed it.

The only thing was that when I paid it, I put SunSetter on my check and then it wasn’t SunSetter, it was somebody else and I didn’t realize it. The guy that did the work did not explain to me or look at the check. Kim, the one that handled it from this end right where I am, wanted me to put it on my card. I said no and that I'm going to wait until the check comes back so I don’t get confused and pay two or three times. She was a little upset about that. It took me a couple of weeks of waiting on the mail and to get that check back before I went to write another one. That was a nuisance having to go back and forth trying to get that check cleared up.

Right now, I'm waiting on somebody to come and shorten one side of the awning or raise it up or tighten it. It is lower by 10 inches than the west side is and then it seemed like after we had heavy rain, it came down more. I don't know what it takes and I have no idea. I hope this person comes and gets my thing fixed. It's been three weeks now. One week, the guy was out, and then he came back and this past Monday, but I haven't seen either a hair of him. But then the issue hasn't prevented me from using the awning. I got the adjustable one or the motorized and on the first night, my cat got up on the desk and rolled it up and I didn’t know it ‘cause I had the drape shut. When I woke up the next morning, it had rained all over everything.

Get expert buying tips about Awnings delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 4, 2019

We were looking for an awning for the front of our home and we were receiving little things in the mail from SunSetter. So I called them, and it was kind of strange because they would talk to you directly but you couldn't get any detail from them because the work is done by local contractor. So they contract with certain group to come and install and sell them to you. So it was a little bit hard because we had to hook up with the local person here.

There was a couple of things that made us want to buy SunSetter. One of them was a coupon for $250, and a free awning cover. It was really funny to me because the local company that we had to buy it by didn't want us to use that coupon. They didn't wanna discount it very much at all. They did finally do a little discount which was a weird a little thing they did to changing the tax thing, that we didn't really understand. We talked about the $200 coupon, and it was only at that point that they were willing to give us any kind of discounts. They also said that the coupon covers junk that SunSetter gives us. They literally told us it was junk, that no one's gonna use it. It's terrible. It was odd because they were supposed to be representing SunSetter and they didn't wanna deal with any of the offerings that SunSetter was giving. They just wanted to do their own thing.

We chose the 18x10 awning which had the nicer fabric. It’s motorized as well with the remote, so that was nice. The installers were really great with the installation. It was perfect. This acrylic awning is gorgeous and lovely, but underneath it is very, very warm. We chose it because it was going to be less fadable by the sun and their rep told us this was a much better choice. But I'm starting to wonder if maybe it would have been a better choice to do something that has a little more air throughout the fabric. It's pretty warm staying under there. So it makes a good shade, but we’re getting more heat. And that's something that people really should be told about if they choose this heavier acrylic fabric. In general, we're very satisfied with SunSetter.

Original review: June 2, 2019

Our SunSetter awning came down with broken rafters. This has no reflection on the salesperson, but we've been waiting to repair and put it back up because of the rain. And it has not been done yet. It's laying in my garage. The thing that automatically recalls it did not work during a rainstorm. So, when I woke up in the morning, there was water on it, and it was standing about 3 feet above the ground instead of 6 or 7 feet up high. So, I called and the guy that installed it came out. When they installed it, they put two bolts and two rafters on one side. And they only used one on the other side instead of two on both sides. So, we both felt that it was not installed properly. But he tightened it to see if he could get it, and I was in the house when he was doing this. And when he tightened it, I could hear this sound and all three of the rafters that it was hooked to cracked. They can be replaced and Dan and I had talked about it a couple of times.

The last time I talked to him, I said, "I think I would just like to have my money back. I don't really like the experience." So, I don't know what he's doing about it. I don't know if he's even reported this. I don't know how to proceed. I didn't realize how windy it gets out here. I only moved here about eight months ago. And I couldn't tell them that because I hadn't experienced a winter here. But now that I have, I don't think I want it up. It just doesn't fit this type of area. And the salesperson has been very nice, but he's offering to come out and make the repairs himself. I don't want him to do that. I want a professional contractor to do it because I'm gonna sell this house in about three to four months, and I have to be able to say it's structurally sound.

If it wasn't in this area, I would tell a friend to get SunSetter. They responded to me. It hasn't been an unpleasant experience. It's just that the issue is not resolved. Now, that I've not had it up, and after this long timeframe, I would rather just have my money back. It's not SunSetter's fault. I think they're good company. I used them because I've heard of them before. And in fact, one of the houses I almost bought in Riverside instead of coming out here had one of the awnings. And I loved it. You just push a button. It goes out. You can pull it back if you want more light in the house. And that's one of the reasons why I did this. But, it doesn't work where I am. I'd recommend SunSetter to a friend.

Original review: April 6, 2019

I needed an awning, and I've known a couple of people who have had SunSetter. They seemed to be a good product. I won't call it inexpensive, but it was affordable, so I decided to go with that. The guy who sold the awning to me was a great guy. He was also helpful and I had a very good experience overall. The same guy came out with the installers. They got the awning up there and got it done. I even bought the cover, which I thought was a bit pricey. But I bought it to go over the awning because that side of the house gets morning sun until 1:00. Even so, they did a great job and the awning works fine.

I've had to make some adjustments in the angle at which the top comes out. But that's not SunSetter's fault because I was having a patio put in. The patio got done a month later. There was back order on the pavers and so forth and so on, so there was no way to tell how high the thing could be. But that was not a problem. I had a buddy of mine come over. I called Randy and he explained again. He explained this to me before, wanted to be sure I understood how to adjust it, and got out there and adjusted it, and decided that wasn't enough and just did a little more. It can't be adjusted much more than it is, but unless somebody was pretty big and tall, over 6'5, they'd be able to walk underneath the thing.

The SunSetter awning is a very nice product and we're happy with it. The awning is brown and I just wanted something that would do well in the weather and wasn't going to fade. The size is 20 x 11.8, the biggest one SunSetter makes. And it's 20 feet wide by 15 feet deep so it covers the majority of that. The way our house is set up and the way that side is, once the sun gets to about the 4:00 pm position, it's really not even necessary to have the awning. But it's nice just to have there in case. We're down in Florida and it's subject to rain any time. I've already had people come over and look at it. I've told them I like it.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I researched this product quite a bit after trying other methods of shading our southwest facing rear deck with temporary and fixed structures which all had weather issues sails and canopies. A motorized awning with automatic wind protection seemed to me to be the best option short of a project to enclose a portion of the deck and modify our roof line. Awnings have some weather limits since they are not intended to be load bearing structures. But within those limits they could economically meet my need. To find out if this could work for you.

Number 1 the website will contain the answers to any questions you will have. Number 2 read as much on the web and YouTube videos as you can find. Number 3 look at your site and determine the size and model that would fit your needs, think about sightlines and sun angles to determine what is required. Number 4 after getting all the information decide whether you will need a contractor's help for install or if you will install or oversee the install. I am average at DIY projects and after some review of the mounting methods for the brackets was able to mount them in a couple of hours. If you select the right awning and locate the brackets level, plumb, and properly spaced per instructions you are >90% done. The actual install takes a no more than an hour with a couple of extra hands to lift and clamp the mounting bar into the brackets and adjusting the pitch.

The product is very well engineered, instructions are very detailed and hardware provided is first rate either hot dip galvanized or stainless steel. I did have to supplement the provided hardware for the brackets with some 1" long 1" diameter aluminium spacers with a slightly larger ID than the 3/8" lag bolts I found on Amazon. Because I had vinyl siding mounted on a compressible foam sheathing board. This also meant I used lag bolts 1" longer than normal for the bracket attachments.

Most of the complaints I read while researching revolved around the delivery process or a contractor install. This is a large piece of real freight not a 5 pound FedEx box, the delivery process can take 14 days after it leaves the factory and someone will need to be there when it arrives and sign for it. You also need to be able to shield it from weather until install day. It sat in my garage on a convertible hand cart for a month until I had time and weather to install it. Contractors are a mixed bag, I wouldn't think of getting one unless they had installed the product you have on the type of wall you have and you have spoken to that customer on their satisfaction.

They are a little more than than some of the other options but can be purchased with significant discounts during low demand periods of the year and larger discounts to Costco members, often with common options included for no additional costs such as the wind sensor. If a rain sensor was available I would be interested since I have low pitch installation but I can't find one yet.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunSetter Awnings?

Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

The SunSetter sales team was friendly and very helpful in choosing our awning. We got pretty much everything we needed or wanted and ordered a motorized awning. Then it came and they put it up and it was done in short order. We love its quality.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

I’m satisfied with SunSetter. We’ve had our awning for years, and I liked it, but it has gotten so old that we had to purchase a new one. This time, we went with the self-winding awning. The guys who came out to do the install were very good.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

Sunsetter recently re-designed their OASIS awning cover and has begun shipping them to customers after a Month's-long wait. The "re-design" uses a little metal spring-clip to secure one side of the wrap-around cover. The "safety-clip" (Sunsetter's term for it) is completely useless for holding a piece of vinyl fabric securely in place in any wind. The "clip" reminds you of one those wooden, spring-loaded laundry clothespins but use a weaker spring and are made of smooth metal that slides right off the fabric and the awning cover goes blowing away to who knows where. If they send you one of these things, be prepared to devise an alternative method of securely fastening the cover over your retracted OASIS awning....you'll need it!

SunSetter Awnings response

Hi Wilson,

We are sorry to hear of any inconvenience you have experienced with your new Oasis Cover. At SunSetter, we take great pride in our product quality, our service, and especially in the satisfaction of our customers.

We will reach out to you privately to discuss your issues with the redesigned cover.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 13, 2019

Let me begin that I’ve been a happy Sunsetter Awning owner for 18 years. The awning has been one of the best outdoor living space purchases I’ve made. Did I mention 18 years I’ve had this thing? Last year I replaced the awning vinyl. That said, this past July 2019 I ordered a replacement for the lateral arm cover which covers the awning when retracted. The only reason for replacing the existing cover is over the 18 years of use the color has faded some. The new clean awning cover finally arrived in mid-October 2019. Seems a bit long to get it but, the old one was fine till the new one arrived. I happily opened the box, pulled out the cover and went out to do the install where the old one has been all these years. I need to mention the cover was been redesigned.

Unfortunately they redesigned that great 18 year lasting cover with something of a much lesser quality and made it 8 inches longer than the existing cover. By changing the length it required to grommets to be spaced differently which creates a problem lining up the grommets to the existing anchors which are mounted on the house. When I called Sunsetter Customer Service I explained what I had encountered and they promptly told me that with every cover made the space between grommets is different because they (the grommets) are adhered to the covers by hand. (Sounded like this guy just wanted to get me off the phone). I then explained that I would have to remove the existing anchors from my vinyl siding and install new anchors spaced to match the new cover. This would require more holes through my vinyl siding and patching the existing holes from the old anchors. Why would I want to add more holes in my siding?

In this automated world we live in today, I cannot believe the Sunsetter Company is hand installing grommets. Does this sound like a line of crap? Remember what I said at the beginning of the review about being a happy Sunsetter Awning owner. Well, I still am but their customer service is less than acceptable and the engineers that redesigned the new cover need to go back to the drawing board. Bottom line, if you are planning to purchase a new vinyl awning cover for your existing Sunsetter Awning, DON’T. I will be returning it for a full refund. If you did purchase a new lateral Arm cover and encountered the same thing I did, please make your voice heard with a review and feel free to reference my review. BTW, not letting this issue fade away. My next correspondence will be to the BBB then on to see if the local TV stations would be interested in doing a story.

SunSetter Awnings response

Dear Hans,

Thank you for your feedback regarding our redesigned cover for your SunSetter Awning--we are always pleased to hear from our long-time customers. We are sorry to hear you have not found it to your liking.

We will reach out to you privately to discuss your feedback and the next steps.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

I had a SunSetter for 10 years and I replaced it with the same. I live on a lake and the sun sets right where I have it, so I really need it. It’s excellent and I'm very pleased with it. The quality is better than the first one, and I like the material better.

SunSetter Awnings expert review by ConsumerAffairs

SunSetter Products is America’s largest awning manufacturer. They specialize in retractable deck and patio awnings, freestanding awnings, window awnings and vertical solar shades. Customers can either buy awnings and install it themselves or have a free in-home consultation with SunSetter dealers who can install the awnings.

• Free consultation: The free consultation gives customers a chance to work directly with a SunSetter dealer and get expert advice on awnings and installation.

• Toll-free customer service line: Customer with issues or questions can receive support from their customer service hotline.

• Wide selection: Being the largest manufacturer of deck and patio awnings in America, SunSetter has a wide selection of awnings, fabrics and colors to choose from.

• Customer service: Because they are a national company with many different offices, their customer service varies depending on location.

• Best for: Homeowners, Business Owners