Call toll free
4.49/5

Malden, MA

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

SunSetter Awnings offer both manual and motorized awnings that provide shade and protection, transforming your patio or deck. Our awnings provide cool shade that can help in those hot and humid months and helps keep the inside of your home cooler by blocking the sun's rays from coming in your windows and doors.

We want to provide you with the highest quality awnings at the absolute best prices. We provide a free in-home consultation and are committed to a long-term relationship with our customers.

SunSetter Awnings Gallery (1)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1369 SunSetter Awnings Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 5 featured reviews
Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

We got a reference from a neighbor for SunSetter awnings. We have two awnings. The awning upstairs is much smaller than the other one and it doesn’t have an issue with coming in whenever it’s really windy. The other awning is a bigger one. When the arm of that bigger one broke during a windstorm, we told SunSetter about it and they said we had a limited warranty and we had to go through our insurance company which we did. We then just went ahead and got an awning through SunSetter again, but this time it was with a full warranty. The installation was fine and I’m hoping that the quality of is good.

Their people were very nice about coming out and they took down the arm for us. That was good. They came back to adjust the wind motion thing on the bigger awning although it still seems a little iffy so I might have to have them come back and do it again. Unlike the smaller awning, this one moves around a lot and we end up just putting it in ourselves even though we have a motion sensor on it. But other than that, SunSetter's people were very easy to deal with. We also got that thing that rolls down. It’s a shade that comes out to block the sun and everything. We really like that part and we use that a lot. It comes out when the awning is out. If anybody wants to invest in a SunSetter awning, it’s a good product.

Get expert buying tips about Awnings delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I found SunSetter's customer service to be extremely business-like and very easy to do business with. The first installation of my awning was a disaster. I was given the name of an installer who did not install and subcontracted to another outfit. That other outfit was horrible. I refused payment on my credit card for these people. I then got an envelope with a SunSetter-approved installer’s phone number so I called them. They came very promptly and they said that everything was all wrong with the initial installation. The bolts used to install the brackets were wrong. The device that senses the wind and retracts the awning was wrong. The awning itself was ripped. They rectified all the things that were wrong. My awning has been installed and it’s entirely satisfactory. I would highly recommend SunSetter and also the second installer I got. I would warn others against the first installer I had.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I have a condo and I have a small deck. There’s a wooden deck over the top of mine and I could not go out there on my deck and relax without the rain coming through and all the dirt from on top. A neighbor had a SunSetter awning and was very satisfied with it. The awning looked very nice to me and I’ve seen the advertisements many times for many years. When I got an advertisement in the mail, I called the number. The customer service team were the Gibson’s and they were very extremely nice and explained everything very well.

I looked at a more expensive awning but it had to go by the rules and regulations of the condo. I ended up getting a cheaper SunSetter awning. But I’m very satisfied with it. It’s guaranteed for five years and I’m sure that’s all I need. But the installation of my awning took a while. Since I'm in a condo, I had to get permission. Once I got that, the installation went very easily and swiftly. I would tell a friend to come and see my awning. I love it. It saves me a lot of work from cleaning every time I go out.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

My husband usually does the grilling outside but the portion is too hot so I decided to get an awning. The installation team set it up. My husband was on his trip that time and when he came back he was so excited about the awning. He said it's very nice and he can't wait for the summer.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

We built a deck on the south side of our house this summer and it was too hot to sit on there without any kind of shade and we couldn’t put a roof over the deck, so we just decided to do an awning instead. I read the reviews online and decided that SunSetter Awnings sounded like a company to go with. The guy that we purchased it from was very helpful and the two guys that came and installed it were here and gone in two hours and everything was ready to roll. We got the motorized, extra-large awning and we have no complaints about the quality. I’ve told multiple people that we have a SunSetter awning and that it is really good.

SunSetter Awnings response

We are very pleased to hear about your great experience with your SunSetter Awning and your local independent SunSetter dealer. At SunSetter, we take great pride in our product quality, our service, and especially in the satisfaction of our customers.

We hope you enjoy your awning for years to come!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunSetter Awnings?

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I figured that an awning was less expensive than adding on a whole screen and porch. It just looks easy to operate and easier than buying a gazebo-type canopy. It also adds some environment to a plain deck. A representative for SunSetter, who was a with the third party, came out. He was very nice, was easy to deal with and was fair. He also happened to be a contractor-installer with the third-party company. He and his team installed my awning.

They were excellent and the installation went very smoothly. They were quick and thorough. They stayed here long enough and they didn’t seem to be in a hurry to just get in and get out. They answered every question I had and they also showed me how to operate everything which was a good thing because there was an issue with opening the door when the awning was extended. They fixed that. One of the guys even offered to install the hook for the motor on my inside door here so it would always be handy. He did that voluntarily which was a little above and beyond.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

When I was doing some extension on my patio in the back, I saw that some neighbors in my community have awnings. I decided that that was good for me and so I got a 10 x 20 motorized unit from SunSetter Awnings, which has LED lights as well as a sensor. I would highly recommend SunSetter. Everything from the sales to input was really great. The team was here when they said they were gonna be here, did what they said they would do, and did not leave a mess. They were also timely. I'm using the awning to block the sun so that my dog and I can go out on the patio and sit and enjoy it.

SunSetter Awnings response

We hope you enjoy your awning for years to come!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I had an aluminum rollup awning for years and it was pretty well worn but they don’t make those anymore. When I saw SunSetter's ad on TV, I thought I’d try it. I had a little problem to begin with though. I ordered it in July but it was lost in transit for a month and when it arrived, the package was damaged. So I had to reorder and it took three weeks again. It wasn’t SunSetter's fault that it got lost in transit. That was UPS. But the whole experience was quite troubling. It took me two months to get the awning in the house and it got here quite late. It was in the fall when the weather was changing already.

The number SunSetter had to call for the installation was a disaster as well. It was about 50 miles away and they were really expensive. So I had a local carpenter and his helper put the awning up and saved myself about $300. The awning is up on my front window now but it would be a little better if it was tipped on the end. But I understand there is a way to do it and I would contact SunSetter when the weather changes. That aside, the product seems all right and it's holding up fine so far.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

We've got a deck at the back of our house that faces the South, and we wanted to get a SunSetter for it. We saw the ad on the television and called them. They said that they would be sending a rep from Jacksonville, North Carolina, but we're in Kinston, North Carolina. They sent a rep over and we showed him what we had. I asked him if he was sure that the SunSetter was gonna work. I said to him that in the morning at 9 o'clock, the sun comes in from the East, and there’s sun on that deck then. At 12 o'clock and at 5 o'clock, there’s sun on that deck, only in a normal Daylight Saving Time hours. He agreed, so I got a 14 x 11 x 4 XL with the motorized motor. He knew we had the storm coming and it delayed the installation of the SunSetter when it came available because it went back ordered. They told me that the sample that we picked out was one of the popular samples, so there was a delay in actions.

SunSetter called us and said they were ready to put the awning up. The salesman told me that the installer wanted to put it on the siding of the house. Wwhen the installer came, he said that it needed to go on the siding of the house. I told him that the vinyl on the siding of the house has been there for 26 years and I don't want the SunSetter mounted on the siding because it could very well crack because the sun has been on it that long and the vinyl does over a period of time. He said that he won't put it up unless it was done this way. He added that he didn't like the idea of being told one way to put it up and then another way I described. So I told him to put it that way if he thought it was the best.

He put it up in the middle of the day and it was kinda cloudy. He couldn't tell what it was gonna do, so I told him that the installation was good, and then he went through the motions of how it works. The next day, I didn't get a chance to put it out at 9 o'clock because I had an early doctor's appointment. The day after the doctor's appointment, it was really sunny, just like being at the beach. I put that thing out at 9 o'clock, and it didn't have any shade at all. I run it back out at 12:00 and still no shade. I did the same thing in the afternoon, but we only got a little shade which was 4 feet from the back of the house. My wife had to take chairs and put them against the wall of the house to get some shade, but her legs were still in the sun.

I immediately called the people that put it in down in Jacksonville and told them what was going on. I was told that they found it hard to believe. I asked the guy if he was calling me a liar and told him I need to talk with somebody higher up than him, so he said that he would talk to the President of the company down there. They sent one of their tech reps up here a week later because we have another storm coming. He came over promptly at 9 o'clock. The SunSetter was completely out, he asked where the shade was and I told him that was what I was talking about. He told me upfront that I have no tress on the back of my house and that the SunSetter will not work to my perks. I asked him if it would work, but he said that he was going back to the office in Jacksonville and talk to the people there. He went back down there and I didn't get any answer from them.

A day or two went by and nobody was giving me a follow up. I called them and talked to the receptionist. I told her that I need to talk to the President of the company because the product is not working and I want a full refund. According to SunSetter's packet that they sent us, we can get our money back if we're not fully satisfied. I looked at the bottom of the contract that I signed, and it says, "non-refundable." When I talked to the President about it and told him that the SunSetter was not working, he said that they were not responsible for the SunSetter. He said that they're the dealership. I told him that I dealt directly with SunSetter, and they sent me a package and people from the dealership to talk to us about selling us the product and installing it. I expected him to honor what their contract is from SunSetter.

He only said sorry that it didn't work out, but it was non-refundable. I told him that I feel like they took advantage of me and my wife. I told him that the guy that sold us the SunSetter did not say anything about that it was non-refundable because I wouldn't have bought that SunSetter. I even thought about contacting the Better Business Bureau and the Attorney General, but I'm not gonna go out and waste my time. It was a bad experience and I will not recommend SunSetter to anyone. People that will buy this product should be aware of what they're getting into.

SunSetter Awnings response

We are very sorry to hear of your disappointment with your new awning and the services provided by your local independent SunSetter dealer. At SunSetter, we take great pride in our product quality, our service, and especially in the satisfaction of our customers.

We will reach out to you privately to discuss your experience with your dealer.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

Don was the one who did our first SunSetter awning and the job was great. He sent a couple who put it up and they were fabulous. It was wonderful and we never had a problem for five years. But it got within a fire so we were replacing it. We got an 18-foot one rather than an 11-foot. It is motorized and it’s the same color as the last time. It’s like wheat with the stripe in it.

But this time, we weren't quite as pleased. Ordering the awning was the very first thing we did when the fire was over. Don said three weeks but three weeks came and went. Then three more weeks came and went. I called him and asked what was going on. He said that they had to order it, that it wasn't his fault and that it was the manufacturer's fault. Okay, fine. Finally, the awning came. But he came and installed it with a guy, not the great team that he had before. The bolts weren’t right and he didn’t hang it. He kept saying that it needed to be pulled down a certain way. But I didn't think so. Anyway, he left. Afterwards, we called him back again and said that we've got waves in it. He said, "Oh, yeah. You get those.” But our awning never had waves before.

He came last weekend and finally put in the rest of the bolts that he said was sent wrong. He also stretched the awning a little bit but it’s not stretched the way it should be. It wasn’t smooth. It wasn’t good and I’m still not sure about the material. There are a lot of little marks in them that were never in there before. Maybe, the company changed the design or the material itself in five years. Nonetheless, I like Don. He is a very nice guy. It just seems like he might be having some problems. Maybe, it’s time for him not do this anymore, especially installing. He’s not an installer.

The awning is out everyday now. We live in Florida and we have it on our lanai, which is screened in. So the awning is always open. We also have carpeting on the lanai and a big table under the awning. We really made a big investment again with this awning. Don also charged us to take the old one. Then he charged us separately to put the new one up. That was $175 to take the old one down and another $350 to put the new one up. Then he took the old one with him so I don’t know if he was able to do anything with it or not. I don’t know whether would I go back to SunSetter or not if anything happens with this. I would tell others to look around to see if there’s another company and really check them out. Make sure when they say how long it would take that it’s close to that, not double or over-double.

SunSetter Awnings response

We are very sorry to hear of your disappointment with your new awning and the service provided by your local independent SunSetter dealer. At SunSetter, we take great pride in our product quality, our service, and especially in the satisfaction of our customers.

We will reach out to you privately to discuss your experience.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

SunSetter provided great options and dealing with them was fantastic. Their rep, Jonathan, lives in the same city as I do and he is really good. He told me about the hurricane down south and how it delayed the people who manufacture the fabric and slowed the orders down, which I completely understood. So everything is going fine and we're just waiting on the proper time.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I have a backyard and in summertime, the sun comes to the back mostly, so I needed an awning. I had two choices and the other company didn’t call me back, so I went with SunSetter. When the agent came I told him that I want to put in something to prevent the rain from coming in. It goes to the back of the awning. But he didn’t give me that. Then finally, he gave me one but now it’s very hard to put around and I don’t know how they are gonna install that thing. The agent was irresponsible because he didn’t call the company when he was supposed to. He only called after two weeks. I had to call the company because I paid him and he cashed the check the next day but when I called the company they said nobody placed the order.

But the installation was very good. There were three men who came and they did it in a few hours. They were very friendly and knowledgeable about it. Every questions that I asked, they answered me. The awning is also very nice. It’s very comfortable. We had breakfast and lunch there. The few people that came and saw the awning liked it and asked me about it so I gave them the number of the company. But when I told them the price I was charged, they told me that was expensive.

SunSetter Awnings response

We are very pleased to hear that you are enjoying your SunSetter Awning. At SunSetter, we take great pride in our product quality, our service, and especially in the satisfaction of our customers. We hope you enjoy your Awning for years to come!

We will reach out to you privately to discuss your experience with your independent SunSetter dealer.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I ordered a SunSetter Retractable Awning and the company gave me the name of an installation company, Kapstar LLC, as they don't install their own product. The president of the company came to my house. Discussed installation. I told him I had outdoor furniture that I needed protected from the rain. He told me where the proper place was to install the awning. His installers were 3 hours late, he was not there for installation, it had started to rain. The awning was not installed properly and water was pooling up on the awning. The water did not drain off the awning. The installers kept poking the awning with a pole to get the water off and said, "That's what you have to do," they would not correct the problem and kept asking for the rest of their money.

When I spoke with the president of the company, the one who sold me the awning, he never cared to take the time to come out my house to see if the awning was installed properly. He just kept asking for the rest of his money and did not care if I was satisfied, or even if the work was done properly - there was no pitch to the awning. He was extremely rude, unprofessional and incompetent. I was disappointed in SunSetter because I found out later they had many complaints about this company, yet they continued to recommend them. Don't EVER EVER use Kapstar LLC for installation.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I just had my deck painted and it has been so hot there. I called SunSetter Awnings and they were very nice. They did all the measuring and they came to put it in. They were able to install it in about two hours. It's an 18x10 motorized awning in white and green color and I just push the button to use it. I like its quality very much.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I've been wanting a SunSetter for years. I was watching their advertisement one night and decided to order one. This was after I retire where I can have a chance to enjoy it. I like the automatic version that they have, the one with the remote control that when the weather gets bad, it'd detract by itself. It would come in and out, it wouldn’t be just constantly in the weather. Everybody at SunSetter was good. The people that installed it explained the operation and everything about their service was good. I haven't had the opportunity to use it yet, but it'll work out for my needs.

SunSetter Awnings response

Please don't hesitate to contact us should you ever need assistance. We hope you enjoy your awning for years to come!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I live in a subdivision that has an HOA and they allowed me to put in a permanent type of glass covering. I needed a sort of shade so it would deflect the sun that was coming to the dining room that I have around sunset time. And in the fall, it’s an ideal thing to go out there and have some breakfast or barbecue. The shade would also deflect the sun so the heat wouldn’t get into my sunroom. The team at SunSetter Awnings is very helpful. They helped me pick a style out. My installation experience was very good. There were two boys that came out to do it and they installed the 12 foot wide by 10-foot awning efficiently. They ran a line down to the outlet for the remote control. The awning is sturdy. It has an electric motor that lets the awning retract automatically. It has some sort of an electronic eye that measures the wind, and if it’s too windy and I’m not in the house, it picks itself off.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

Ordered a 15' awning back in June. Showed up weeks after their initial ship date. When we ordered, one of the incentives was a free cover. The free cover was not with the awning when we finally received it, and we have still not received it...almost November. Never heard from them other than an email a long time ago that they had 1000 covers on back order. We had hardware mounted for the cover when they put the awning up, can only hope that this hardware will work when we receive it...or if we receive it. Rare for me to write a review like this but feel all should be aware of these issues and their lack of communication in regards to an obvious long term issue.

SunSetter Awnings response

We are very sorry to hear of your disappointment regarding the cover for your new Awning. Currently our cover is being redesigned to provide better service for your Awning. We do understand your concerns and are taking every effort to address them.

We apologize for the inconvenience, but want you to know that your satisfaction is very important to us. We expect to be shipping your cover out during November, and will ship it as quickly as possible. (Updated November 16) The covers have not shipped yet due to additional delays in the redesign process. Currently we believe they will be shipping in 2019.

Please don't hesitate to contact us if we can be of further assistance. We want you to enjoy your Awning for years to come.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

The person from SunSetter who came out to show us samples was very professional. He also came out when they installed it and they discussed everything with us. The installation was excellent and the crew showed us how it worked and my husband was pleased. We got an 18x12 beige and taupe awning and it goes perfectly with our house. It's motorized too, so if I press a button, it comes out. All in all, the service that we received was very professional and I would definitely refer SunSetter for their quality and professionalism.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I was looking at awnings for quite a while and I thought that they would work good for what I wanted when I’m on my deck or around my pool. I was right but I was waiting. The cost was a factor and it held me off for some time. When I cold finally afford them, I went with it. The customer service rep came out to talk to me. He explained everything, made the prices and got all the measurements. He was very professional and pleasant enough to talk with. The team showed up and they were quite the characters. They knew what they were doing and made everything look easy. They joked amongst themselves and with me. I stood out there watching to see what was going on and they enjoyed what they did. They were enjoyable to have around.

The color of the awning matches with my pool. I was gonna go with a different color but the initial guy who came out recommended blue and pointed out the reasons. I took his advice and I was glad I did. What I wanted and what I thought would work probably would not have. I bought two motorized awnings with the remote control. They work perfectly and I’m extremely happy with them. I’m thinking of putting another one in. I really like those things.

I had a number of people comment on them and they asked me about it. My daughter lives across the street and she’s thinking about putting one up at the back of her house over her hot tub. I’ve recommended it very highly. I have the rep’s business card and I showed it to people who copied the information down whenever they walk by the pool. I’ve had three people who said that they have seen the ads on TV and now, they have seen how it works and that SunSetter is reliable. They were as impressed as I am.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

Our 15-year-old awning fell down on a storm and broke then we bought an automatic from SunSetter Awnings. It's 15 feet wide and extends almost 12 feet out, and has a remote control. We use it to provide shade on our deck, particularly when we're eating out there. Their team was very good, prompt, did an excellent job, and followed up. We're very satisfied and we wouldn’t want anything any better.

SunSetter Awnings response

We are very pleased to hear about your great experience with your SunSetter Awning. At SunSetter, we take great pride in our product quality, our service, and especially in the satisfaction of our customers.

Please don't hesitate to contact us should you need any assistance. We hope you enjoy your awning for years to come!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

We were gonna be redoing our deck this year and we wanted to put an awning on. I received some advertising in the mail, and then I called SunSetter and ordered additional information. It seemed that their product was exactly what we were looking for, and it was a little less costly than other ones. We had a local person that we went through to order it and that was a good experience, but it ended up being very delayed. The store kept saying that they were in touch with the company and they would let us know as soon as it was shipped.

Initially, they told us it would take about six to eight weeks, but ours, for whatever reason, seemed to take much longer, and we weren't able to find out why. I wasn’t very happy with that. We ordered it sometime in June, and we didn’t get it until the end of August. Our biggest disappointment was that we didn’t get to use it this summer. We don’t know how it will stand up and time is the test. But we're satisfied. We’ve told people where we got it and because it’s a lovely awning. We really like it so far and have recommended it.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

We looked into putting up a pergola and we looked at the Building Department. Our property goes right up next to a National Monument property and so, we couldn’t get an easement to do that to put up a new structure. We then decided on SunSetter. Everybody seemed to be nice but we were disappointed on how long it took to get here. It came in bits and pieces instead of all coming at the same time. They told us it was gonna be on a specific date and we hired people to come and we had our own people install it. I’m in a wheelchair, so I can’t do any of that and so, we had to cancel them three times before we finally got everything altogether.

So far, we love the awning but the biggest part of the summer was gone by the time it was up. SunSetter needs to get their shipping squared away so it all happens closer at the same time. Otherwise, we’re happy with it and it’s working. I would recommend SunSetter to a friend and I would ask them to come over and check out the awnings themselves.

SunSetter Awnings response

We are happy to hear that you are enjoying your new SunSetter Awning. At SunSetter, we take great pride in our product quality, our service, and especially in the satisfaction of our customers.

We apologize for the shipping issues regarding your awning order. We encountered unprecedented manufacturing delays this summer. Given the delays, we made the decision to send your awning with available accessories as quickly as possible and send any additional items later as they came available in order to maximize your time with your Awning this summer. We are currently reviewing our processes to prevent similar piecemeal shipping next year.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact us. We hope you enjoy your Awning for years to come!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

It gets hot here in Sebring. Last month, the thermometer in the backyard was reading over a 100. I wanted to do an aluminum closure, but the counties down here are crazy with their permits and anything that’s permanently attached isn’t tax-free. So, I decided to purchase an awning. The people from SunSetter Awnings did a great job. Joe, the guy who came in, was a very nice man. He went over a whole bunch of stuff and he was very thorough.

We looked at the book which has the material in it and gives you a good view of what the pattern actually is. It has colors that SunSetter's TV advertisements do not show and they should show all those colors because some people would like different ones. I picked one out of the pamphlet and then Joe called me up a couple of days later. He said that they didn't have that color at the time, but it would take about three weeks to get it when you order it. A week later, he called me and said SunSetter got the color in so I could still get it if I want it. I told him to change the order back to the original one we picked and everything worked out well.

Joe, together with the technical guy that he had with him, also did the installation and I was very impressed with them. Joe kept me informed of everything including shipping, they did what they were supposed to do, and they had all the tools they needed so they didn’t have to go running around for nothing. They even changed some things as far as the way they wired the awning to the way I wanted it. The only issue I had was they forgot the side curtains that came with the package deal that I bought, but it was no problem. I called them up about that and Joe said they got the curtains. Then in about ten minutes, he called me back and asked me if he could bring the curtains the following week, which he did.

I’m pleased with the awning. It works fine and I got the remote control on it. It also does what they say it would do. It cuts the temperature down and you could sit out there when it’s 90 degrees and you’re not dying. You put the awning back and you’re soaking wet in ten minutes. The only thing you gotta do is remember to close it. I bought the wind sensor thing, but still, I have to close the awning because when it poured rain and it got wet, I hit the button standing there waiting for the water to come off, and the water came but the sensor didn't let me know it was coming so I got soaked.

I was not happy with the light kit that came with the awning too. It has cords in between it that are kinda curled up like crinkly or curly fries. I’m 6’4 and the outside back comes in just a little bit lower than 7 foot. Those wires hung down and when I'd walk out there, they were about to touch my head. So, I called SunSetter up, talked to Joe and asked him if I could get some of the little plastic clips they have to hang with the lights.

He called me back a day later and said that SunSetter would ship me those for nothing. I told him I'd pay them since that was something I wanted extra to put up there, so the wires would be out of the way. He said, "No," and told me I could send them back if I want. He then gave me a phone number to call which I called really quick. The rep who answered the phone was also nice. I was told that the clips were shipped the day before I called and I should have them the next day. So, I can't complain about that. The awning's got a wind warranty on it as well so if anything goes wrong with it, SunSetter will fix it. I'd recommend SunSetter to everybody. They’re not cheap, but they’re good. I’m very, very happy with them.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

We’ve been customers with SunSetter Awnings for a long time. We started out in the 80s buying an awning and their product is absolutely fantastic. Their flagpoles are resistant to anything and they are wonderful products. However, their downfall is their shipping. They say it’s free shipping but they use UPS. On one of our purchases, I kept calling and saying, “You said it would be two weeks, now it’s three weeks. Where is it? Now, it’s four weeks.” They said that UPS lost it. Those were 12 feet long tubes and they lost two of them, so the summer was practically over before we got them. We ordered an Oasis, a new product that's free-standing, and a regular one to be attached. I ordered them in June, but we got them in August.

I ordered another one again and the product itself was excellent. And just recently, I ordered another one and it came through UPS. The man from the UPS who delivered it wrote an ink on the label that the tube, which is tough hardboard, had been punctured, but they didn’t see any reasonable damage. I called SunSetter and I said that we haven’t opened it because I needed a handyman to put them up. I also read to them what the note read and I said, “So when we open it up, if there is any damage, I want you to be aware of it.” The customer service team was excellent and they were apologetic. I called to say that there was a slice in the tube and they said that they took all my notes down. They also said, “We tell them not to use a forklift but many times they do and using a forklift, they puncture the tube.”

SunSetter is an excellent product and I don’t think it can be beaten. Since we lost the whole summer with the UPS losing the product, at a certain point, I said to them, “The summer will be gone and we still don’t have it. Can you just order us a new one?” They said they make them as they are ordered and they are not something that is kept in stock. I finally convinced them to create two new ones for us and get it within the two weeks that they promised. Within a week, the original ones appeared, so I quickly called them and canceled the second order. They were very accommodating in trying to placate us by saying, “We’ll throw in a free cover and a few other items,” that are accessories that we didn’t need. They tried to be accommodating by giving us those items for free which were about a total of $500 retail, which was considerate.

SunSetter Awnings response

We are very pleased to hear that you are enjoying your SunSetter Awnings and your flagpoles. At SunSetter, we take great pride in our product quality, our service, and especially in the satisfaction of our customers, and we particularly enjoy hearing from our long-standing customers.

Regarding UPS Freight, they generally provide reliable, high-quality delivery services to SunSetter owners. We apologize that you did not get to experience them at their best.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

We’ve been wanting an awning for several years now and we know people who have SunSetter Awnings and they’ve always seemed to be very happy with them. The price was very good and we purchased a burgundy awning with tan stripes. It can do motorized operation but if the electricity happened to be out, I could do it manually. SunSetter was late in getting the awning to us though. When we got a hold of them to find out what had happened, they said their orders were way up and that they would have to special make ours. So it was a couple weeks more than what they had told us in the beginning but they clarified that they were behind schedule because they had a lot of orders. Still, we tracked it with a tracking number, and when they said it would be here, it was promptly here.

The instructions were very good and once my husband and a couple of friends laid the awning out the right way, they were able to put it up. It’s heavy so they had a little bit of trouble but other than that, it was very easy to install Since then, it has worked wonderfully. Anytime it’s really sunny and we wanna use our patio, we put the awning out. The advertisement said that it’ll lower the temperature of our patio by about 30 degrees and it definitely has done that. We got the hood for the awning too so it would keep the snow off and in the rain. That works well also. We’ve had a very good experience with SunSetter Awnings and I’d absolutely recommend them. They stand behind their word and they make a very good product.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

When I work out in the yard, I don’t have any place to go without getting right in the sun. I’ve also got a table and chairs out there and I’ve been wanting an awning for a long time to put on this deck at the back. Then I got SunSetter brochures in the mail that said that you would get $350 off if you would order it by a certain time, plus you would get six patio lights to go across it. When I called them to get an estimate on it, they came right away and they put the order in that night. Then it came here in about three weeks, but I didn’t like the way they delivered it. The guy just pulled up in front of the house and opened up the back of the truck, pushed it out, and dragged it into the garage.

We had to have the awning installed on the top of the house because there was not enough room above the door to put it. They had three guys to install it and it didn’t take ‘em too long. Then as quick as the guys unrolled it, I saw that it had spots all over right away. They got the ladder out and got up there and they said that it was where the ink dye dropped and went all the way through it. For the price I paid, I wasn’t gonna accept it. So they ordered a new replacement canvass that night and I got it within three weeks. But, they have never come to replace it.

The second time I called SunSetter, I told them that the new replacement was here. I also asked how I could order one of those wind sensors to put on there, so if I'd be in the house and wind would come up, it wouldn't damage the awning. They then said that they would order the wind sensor and pay for it. Then I could just pay them $295 plus tax when they would come out to install this new canvass and the wind sensor. So I’ve got a bunch of money tied up with this awning, but it’s gonna be worth it. Sunsetter advertises that if you’re under their awning, it’s 20 degrees cooler than it is outside. But on a really hot day, I stayed under the awning and it did go down 10 degrees, so it does help.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

We were gonna build a hard patio cover, but there were some challenges with the clearance that we had to do that, so we looked at SunSetter for quite a while and we made a decision to go with their product. Though we looked at other options, the SunSetter was the best one for what we were working with. The rep came out and we talked about it. We did some measurements, paid the deposit and ordered it. It took a week or two to get the product in and once it came in, he made contact to set up a date to come and install it, and it all worked really well. It was a good experience.

We got the motorized awning and it is remote-controlled. We just push the button and it goes out. We can take it out as far as we wanna take it out. We can take it all the way out or we can only go halfway with it. It depends on what we are looking for and it is something that we can take out and bring back in. It is on the patio that is right in front of the swimming pool. When we wanna go out and it’s sunny, we can let the awning go out. Then, we put it back in because if the wind kicks up, we don’t want it to get torn off. It’s a fabric-type cover with a metal frame on it but it works very well and I don’t have any issues with that. It’s a good product.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Purchasing an awning had been on my mind for years and now was the time to do it. The guy from SunSetter that first came over explained everything, and we wrote up a contract. He then called me ahead of time and his crew came in. It looked like they were tearing down the whole house, but they did it right. They put the awning up, tested it out and it was great. We chose the color to match up with the roof, and the trim around all the windows are also the same color. We got the electric model without the wind sensor since it would roll up if the wind started getting too much. I also got the remote and it’s up on the wall here so I can undo it and do it when I want. The few times I've had to pull the awning out to show other people, it worked perfectly.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

We have been in this house for 32 years and we had a patio out at the back but we can never sit on it from 1:00 o'clock to 5:00 because the sun was on it. I've been wanting to get some kind shade, and we went to Sunsetter since they had a good deal and they had the color I wanted. The salesperson came here two different times. The first time he did, he explained everything including the sunrooms, screen rooms, and pergolas. Then he came again, and I decided on the awning. He was good. The one I have is a motorized awning with remote control. It's navy blue with a white pinstripe and it has a wind sensor on it.

The installation took three hours. They came at 9:00, and they were done after 12:00. They even took a break ‘cause it was a very hot day, and they went and got some water and gotten shade for a little bit. They were very skilled and you could tell that they had done this before. After they were done with the installation, they showed me about the lights, how to turn them on and then to dim them. I caught how to turn them on, and then for days, I tried to dim them, and I couldn't get them to dim. I went through the book and DVD but nowhere in there said how to dim the lights. So I called their representative and he told me what I was doing and how it should have been done. Dimming the lights was very simple, but it's not in the book and not in the video either.

Other than that, the awning changed our outdoor activities immensely. In fact, I got out some Adirondack chairs and plants. You can go out there first thing in the morning and also sit out there in the sun from 1:00 till 5:00. It has LED lights too so you can go out in the evening after supper and sit with the lights on. Overall, I'm ticked at how it turned out. It's like another room.

SunSetter Awnings response

The dimming operation of your LED lights should be listed on Page 7 of your Dimming LED Light System book. We apologize that it was difficult to find.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I had my solar Sunsetter Shade installed and the solar energy only last two weeks and then it dies out. I have to manually take the solar panel off the shade, put it in the sun all day and then put it back on the shade. Only lasts two weeks again. The panel has been replaced and I have the same problem. I have another solar shade that doesn't get as much sun as the second one and have never had a problem with it. This company, Sunsetter Shades will not and does not repair their own product. You have to call an independent contractor to fix it. Sunsetter will not reimburse you for the repair either. After 90 days you're stuck with an inferior product. Not happy with this product or company.

SunSetter Awnings response

We are very sorry to hear of your disappointment with your Solar EasyShade. At SunSetter, we take great pride in our product quality, our service, and especially in the satisfaction of our customers.

All of our products sold to the public are designed as do-it-yourself kits, with customers either putting up and maintaining their SunSetters themselves or hiring a trusted handyman or dealer for help.

The solar panel for your EasyShade needs to be in direct sunlight in order to charge enough for standard use--it does not need to be mounted directly on the shade. We are sending you a replacement solar panel. If you should need any form of extension to provide more sunlight for your shade, please contact us at your earliest convenience.

Please don't hesitate to contact us should you need additional assistance.

SunSetter Awnings expert review by ConsumerAffairs

SunSetter Products is America’s largest awning manufacturer. They specialize in retractable deck and patio awnings, freestanding awnings, window awnings and vertical solar shades. Customers can either buy awnings and install it themselves or have a free in-home consultation with SunSetter dealers who can install the awnings.

• Free consultation: The free consultation gives customers a chance to work directly with a SunSetter dealer and get expert advice on awnings and installation.

• Toll-free customer service line: Customer with issues or questions can receive support from their customer service hotline.

• Wide selection: Being the largest manufacturer of deck and patio awnings in America, SunSetter has a wide selection of awnings, fabrics and colors to choose from.

• Customer service: Because they are a national company with many different offices, their customer service varies depending on location.

• Best for: Homeowners, Business Owners