Find an Appliances partner

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Rheem Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rheem?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rheem?

Original review: March 18, 2021

Compressor on my Rheem unit serial # 7842W281100514 failed 9 years into a 10 year warranty. Oil leaked from compressor into lines destroying entire system...coil, condenser, transfer lines. Got 2 estimates to replace and both were appx $5500. Rheem said they would give me $570 only to compensate for their faulty compressor but after spending half of summer 2020 with no a/c whatsoever, and countless hours on the phone with two different Reps, I have received nothing. Comically, the last correspondence I received was a rep explaining I'd receive the $570 after I paid the installer in full myself. When I questioned this and asked how this would be done procedurally, they went dark...have not heard from them in months. I have literally spent 20-25 hours trying to recoup their measly $570 offer. At this point, I do not want another Rheem system and am pursuing alternatives.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

All I wanted to know is to how often the recirculation pump needs to be programmed on my Rheem Platinum Tankless water heater. I tried the "learn option" and it didn't work good at all. Every time I have called I get to talk to someone, give all my info, just to be transferred to "level 3" or another dept just to be on hold 30-40 min. Finally, when I do get to talk to someone, the different guys I've talked to were very rude, disrespectful, and honestly didn't seem to care if I got an answer or not. Never will buy a Rheem product again. Tech support terrible.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2021

Less than a year ago, I had two brand-new Rheem heat pumps installed to the tune of $16,000. One of these units had a factory defect which resulted in nearly $1,600 in electric overages (as the defect made it so that our home was unknowingly running on the ‘emergency heat’ setting for two months). As soon as I realized that something was amiss, I contacted the company – where their customer service agent led me to believe that such charges would be reimbursed provided it was deemed a defective part. HOWEVER, given the situation with COVID, she also informed me that unfortunately no agents would be able to do a home visit – and therefore the defect could not be verified.

After reaching out to the HVAC installation crew, they were able to connect directly with Rheem and arrange for agents to come take a look. From my first contact, to the date of that visit, was 14 days. With a two-month old infant in our home, it was not an option to forgo heat during this time… and I shared my concerns with the customer service agent that with each passing day, we were accruing $30 in additional heating expenses.

When representatives were sent – presumably as ‘damage control’ their conduct was unprofessional and abhorrent. Unbelievably rude and condescending to the HVAC technician (who had been nothing but kind and solution-oriented), one agent told the technician he needed to “teach him a lesson.” As a business owner myself, this is not acceptable behavior for anyone working on behalf of the company– much less, in a customer-facing position. I felt bad for the technician who was demeaned in the presence of customers as the Rheem rep arrogantly passed the onus of responsibility onto him.

Prior to selecting these heating units, I did ample research. I decided upon Rheem because of their strong reputation and quality products. It is unconscionable to me that in these unprecedented times, there has yet to be any sort of restitution for expenses incurred as a result of a FACTORY DEFECT. Simply replacing the unit is not satisfactory… that is a given, as the product (at less than a year old) is still well under warranty. Reimbursement for the time spent with a faulty product that, once identified, wasn’t even replaced in a timely manner should be a given.

In good faith, I have been beyond patient in awaiting resolution. Again, as per my initial conversation with Rheem’s customer service agent, my burden of proof was met. Curiously, when I requested full transcripts of those phone calls to verify what had been communicated to me, Rheem avoided providing said documents. Instead, I was provided with a copy of the warranty and an accompanying letter from the supervisor stating that there is "no accommodation for utility charges" (despite this being explicitly stated nowhere within the warranty he himself provided). So basically, their faulty product, and the subsequent delay ran up my electric bill, and they see themselves as being at no fault for the issue, or their slow response (during which I continued to be charged at the emergency rates)... Not to mention, the time I had to take off work to deal with this mess between phone calls and the visits with technicians and reps.

Never in my life have I written a negative review... and yet I find myself compelled to do so as I feel so wronged. All in all, this experience has been a failure at every turn of the road, and months on, I am still awaiting an appropriate response and the compensation which they have previously acknowledged I am due, given the factory defect. Their products (when not defective) may well be great. However, in my experience, they are unwilling to stand behind them in moments where it counts.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2021

Please before you buy a Rheem HVAC, research the quality of their coils. A year after purchasing a new system I have been experiencing dirty sock syndrome. It is a known issue with the coil and there is a known fix, the coils need to be dipped with in a bronzing solution or an epoxy. This prevents mold and bacteria buildup on the coils and then spewing the spores throughout your home. Rheem calls it an environmental issue and refuses to reimburse for the costs to have the problem remedied. After installation either a UV light or a Global Plasma System at my expense, my issue may be resolved, again Rheem refuses to reimburse my costs. I am also reading that their coils have a problem with corrosion and failure, once again a problem corrected by dipping to prevent the corrosion.

Buyer beware, the limited warranty is just that, extremely limited, no labor to replace defective parts, no Freon replacement costs on defective equipment, no labor to correct their known issue with dirty sock syndrome. I guess they think these things just magically fix themselves. I bought my unit from an authorized Rheem dealer and was told these were some of the best units on the market.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2021

From reading the other reviews this seems the consensus with hot water heater by Rheem. I wish I would have read these before my purchase. I purchased and installed the hot water heater on a Friday in January 2021. Followed the instructions and waited the amount of time for the water to heat. It game hot water for about 5 minutes and then continued to blink and indicate re-heating. Called the company that it states on the side of the water heater and the person I talked to was less than accommodating. I have contacted a plumber to come and look at the water heater that is failing to heat. Do not buy this product. With every purchase there is a possible issue that consumers must deal with BUT customer service should follow.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

I purchased AC/Heater unit in 2016 from Honest AC (which they are nonresponsive and caused me to get an extended warranty to cover it). Within the first few months I had to have the AC unit repaired. Since then I have had the AC unit repaired three different times and again this past week which cost me $980! Freon leaks, too much pressure, replaced compressor, replaced land capacitor, TXV system replaced. This is unacceptable. The unit is less than 5 years old and I've had nothing but issues with it.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2021

I had 3.5 ton Sure Comfort heat pump installed in May 2020, failed one month later. Repaired and then failed again the same week, a different part. Made it through the summer then the winter failures began. It is only January 2021 and I have had this worked on so many times. The screws won't hold the doors and covers on anymore. This is complete garbage. I have deep regrets buying a Rheem product. I will not buy any Rheem products because of the quality of this product.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2020

WE had a Rheem water heater installed on December 3, 2020. Almost immediately, the water smelled of rotten eggs. We have softened water and it is not from a well. No problems like this with our previous Whirlpool water heater. Rheem says we need to replace the anode rod and are giving us no help at all. So, we need to pay for a plumber to fix this problem on a brand new water heater. VERY disappointing.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2020

Purchased a Rheem hot water tank and had it installed August 2020. It is now mid December 2020, and the hot water is running out in short time. This was due to the bottom heating element failing. Rheem’s warranty at this point is full parts and full labor. Called Rheem and after a few transfers I was finally given a service approval. Their plumber did call the next day and they did show up the following day. The tech tested the bottom element and stated the element faired due to "Dry Fire". I know this was not the case. The electric was only turned back on after the tank was filled and the water lines had the air evacuated. I mentioned these details to the service tech, and he gives me this other "BS" explanation about "if the tank was left outside to long when it was being installed-the sun can heat up the element- bla, bla, bla...".

Here is the bottom line. Things can break for no reason other than it has an issue, maybe during manufacturing but if a company offers a warranty then they should honor it! Rheem did not for me. Hopefully if you buy something from them and you have an issue they will honor their commitments. Rheem shame on you. PS- I fixed it myself- took all of 10 minutes once the tank was drained. The service tech took more time talking to Rheem and writing up if excuse than it took to do the work. I'm also a Builder of 30+ years so I has completed my share of hot water tank installs.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2020

I had my heating and cooling unit installed at my home on July 18, 2012. It has a 'Ruud' sticker on it; but, it is a Rheem unit. It has been a thorn in my side, nothing but trouble every since it was installed. Since installation in 2012, I have had four motors installed, as well as five different thermostats. It is definitely a sorry unit. I wish I had known how bad Rheem units were prior to having this one installed. I trusted the person, whom I know personally, to help me, not rip me off. My elderly mother also has a Rheem and the motor on her new unit went out a few weeks after the unit was installed.

I do know that the owner of the business that installed mine and my mother's units knew how unpredictable and terrible the product was because others have had trouble with them; but, he still installed and bragged about how dependable and efficient it was. DEFINITELY NOT DEPENDABLE NOR EFFICIENT WHEN YOU HAVE TO PAY SOMEONE EVERY YEAR TO REPLACE A PART ON IT!!! COST ADDS UP!!!

As a matter of fact...my unit has gone out again. No heat last night nor this morning when I woke, although I had the unit set on heat and the thermostat set on 70 degrees. When I woke, it was 58 degrees in my house. It's supposed to be colder tonight than it was last night. Needless to say, I have called a different refrigeration service to look at it and tell me AGAIN what's wrong with it. DO NOT PURCHASE A RHEEM UNIT!!!

Rheem Company Information