2. Homeowners
  3. Appliances

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.99/5

Rheem Reviews

Original review: Jan. 3, 2020

Our tankless water heater failed within the extended warranty time, no problem, we will just contact Rheem customer service and get them to send a new one. Paid $80 in shipping, installed the water heater, errors out with an ambiguous error code 13 while using water at a normal flow rate. Dozens of calls to Rheem customer service, they tell us we need to have gas guy come out and check our gas service. We have to pay $200 for that check of the service, and it turns out the service is fine. Call Rheem about their defective unit and advise gas is fine, they start their "claim" for sending another replacement unit, another $80 for shipping.

We have not had hot water now for weeks and will be waiting for another week and a half for a new one to be installed. I started looking into the company to find out that, they have a TON of defective units out there and unfairly expect the customer to shoulder the burden of proof, and costs associated with shipping, inspection, and installation. Will never buy or recommend Rheem to anyone, unless I really want to tick them off.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

Rudest customer service department ever all the way from the customer service reps who answer the phone to the supervisors of the area. I called because our water heater broke on December 23 when it was only 3 years old and received no assistance. The service guy was told the part wasn't available for 2 weeks. The supervisor told me no one called in. After pulling teeth, she finally agreed to double check my serial number, and it was typed in wrong. He did call in. The initial rep and supervisor were very rude, and not at all sympathetic. The repair man was also given the wrong information. He was not offered an alternate replacement part that would also work. We will be replacing our tankless water heater, and it will not be by Rheem.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

$10k paper weight/heat pump. After 27 months our 5 ton 15 seer heat pump failed. We were told the reversing valve failed allowing all of the Freon to leak out. I called customer service who opened a case and told me someone would call me back. I have been waiting 7 business days for the call... I have called back 2 and I am directed to their voicemail. I would not recommend Rheem/Ruud.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

I bought an AC unit thru Home Depot, they installed a Rheem AC unit at my house. The unit is brand new, but it has never work, a year without issues. This has been a horrible experience. The unit constantly beeps, even if I change the settings to off, the alarm on the unit continues to go off. All day and night.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

In September 2016 we had to replace our Trane A/C and heating unit, because a/c went out and the Freon situation. It was replaced with a Rheem 410A Heat pump. We had A/C repair issues before the end of 2016. Probably 3 or 4 in 2017 the same in 2018. Now we are in 12/2019 about the same amount. The A/C is out which went unnoticed to the cooler weather until the heat went out. So here I am in Mississippi in December with no heat or A/C. Since the loss of our Trane unit we have had to invested in portable A/C units. Have always liked Rheem water heaters, never a minute's trouble with one in my home while under warranty.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rheem?

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

What a horrible company. Will never buy another Rheem water heater again. Our heater control valve went out on our water heater on Thanksgiving day. Eight days later I still have not received the part. I have now been up without hot water since Thanksgiving night. The honorable thing to do would have been to send the part via FedEx overnight instead they sent it FedEx ground and it will not arrive until Monday if at all! Sad! Second warranty on their water heater. First one only lasted 3 years, this one, a year and a half.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2019

My air conditioner line inside the unit is leaking and is only 4 years old. Rheem doesn't pay for labor so it's going to cost me 2000 to fix and cost them nothing in parts and may still have a problem after the line is brazed. So be careful what you're buying cause their 5 year warranty is worthless.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

After 2 years the "Classic" 50 gal hot water tank makes loud popping and cracking noises. The independent plumber contacted Rheem to fix or replace the tank. In a nut shell Rheem said if is still heating the water ignore the noise. They can not fix. Very poor service and warranty. I do not recommend Rheem.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

Had old A/C unit replace with Rheem A/C unit, thinking I bought the best! Since then, I've replaced coil, motor, evaporator, bearings in compressor and after that, replaced 2 new coils, not happy about this. All within a 5 year period, another new coil as of 10/2019.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2019

10/11/19 I bought a Rheem 50 gallon hot water heater with a 10-year warranty. Model #: PROE50 T2 RH95. Serial #: Q401935323. 10-Year Warranty #:02-0415647. Installation by the Water Heater Guys was done professionally. When I tried to register the 10-year warranty, it was entered incorrectly as a 6-year warranty. Both Rheem & The Hot Water Heater Guys say they agree that I have a 10-year warranty, but my registration can’t be changed to show it. I must keep my water heater stickers & invoices to prove I bought it with a 10-year warranty, if I ever need it. Sound true? It is!

Rheem Company Information