1.66/5
  • 1 star
Based on 312 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution
Need a water treatment system?
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 8, 2017

484 Pur Water Filters Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

Since Pur was purchased by Kaz customer relations has fallen into the toilet. We have had several generations of filters over the years beginning when the original company was committed to supplying underserved communities with clean drinking water. Before the purchase by KAZ customer service was excellent and response time amazing. Since KAZ take over it has become abysmal. I received my recent order today for another faucet mount because other filters would not work on my sink and tried to redeem the coupon for the replacement filter coupon and the site is discontinued! They no longer provide clean drinking water and have diluted the product. DO NOT PURCHASE FROM THEM!!!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

Pur filter light never works. We changed it first time as a defective, second time the same, saying that still doesn't work, but we kept the third, even if doesn't work as well. We just took the loss. I found other brands from Menard working perfect, even that I was skeptical at first after Pur experience. Now we still use Pur since we had 5 filter replacement pack, and we just mark it on calendar when 2-3 average months past.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

Over a month ago we purchased an PUR 18 cup dispenser along with three replacement filters at Menards. During the first month we used the original filter that came with the unit and everything worked fine. At the end of one month, we replaced the original filter. Since then the dispenser takes hours to purify the water and stops at approximately halfway through the upper holding task. We faithfully followed the new filter soaking instructions. This performance is not consistent with the dispensers first month and is not acceptable. Considering the simplicity of manufacturing a filter and this company's inability to produce a working filter, one has to wonder if the filtration system is even effective. I don't recommend PUR to anyone. It is not worth the aggravation and effort required to get a glass of water!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I am using the PUR 2-stage Water Dispenser and the filter works amazing for 3 days, after that it's so slow that I can barely drink a glass of water a day. I have tried everything, soaking it longer, shaking it before I refill it and anything else I could find on the internet. Such a waste of money and so much worse for the environment if I throw a filter away every week. I would think that after so many bad reviews they would figure out that there is a HUGE problem and fix it.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

1. The Bluelab pen measures conductivity and temperature, or pH - not contaminants. 2. The filter units do not sense anything but initial pressure to reset the meter - which measures gallons, 100, not time. It has no idea whether you've put in a new or old filter. 3. The older units with one LED use a battery. Yeah, you'd think it would be water driven and hence never stop working. It doesn't, and the battery can die after a couple/few years. Buy a new fangled one. Now I've used the faucet units for at least fifteen years. Two of them have cracked after a year or more. Seriously, $40 (at most) a year is breaking your ass? Stop eating Twinkies. Also, buy filters in bulk online, dummies.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pur Water Filters?

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

We've been using two generations (3 different filters) of the Pur filter, the red-band indicator and then the new red-yellow-green light indicators showing that it's replacement time. They've all worked great. No leaks, no bad taste, no ill effects, just great-tasting water here in Louisville CO. Maybe it has something to do with the city water supply. My only issue is that I can't seem to find out how the device determines when it's time to change color -- water-flow amount or number of times turned off and on, or maybe some other measuring stick like condition of filter. Otherwise the Pur has been worry-free for us. Again, great-tasting water.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

Wow I'm surprised at all the negative reviews. I have to replace the housing every 3 years or so except one that cracked when it was dropped in the sink. The inner filter gets replaced about 1 to 3 months depending on the time of the year and how much rain we get. There is a lot of clay when there is a lot of runoff and that plugs the filter. The water here is heavy with iron, sulphur and clay but this filter clears the water up amazingly and even makes it taste good. Thought someone should speak of the good side, I've been using these filters for so long I can't remember when I started.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

I'm putting this out to see if anybody else is having this trouble or someone can tell me what's going on. The filters stop working in less than a month's time. I think Pur makes the filter medium expand to constrict the flow of water to shorten the life of the filter and make you think it's time to change out the filter much sooner. I live in NYC. The water is not the best and not worst. I am the only person using the filter in the home, and it's just normal usage. There is no way I can believe these big filter cartridges should need to be replaced so soon. Also what a big waste to the environment.

Original review: July 17, 2017

This is the first time I've had trouble with the Pur Water Filters. I put in a brand new water filter and it immediately turned red. I tried to re-insert it several times in hopes that it would change but it did not. They are WAY too expensive to just get another just to try.

Original review: July 5, 2017

I just threw out my third Pur Water filter. That makes 3 in less than a year. They all work great for a couple of months and then the cheap plastic develops major cracks and so begin the leaks. To say this product has a 2 year warranty is an absolute joke. I'd personally love to see one that could possibly make it to that advanced age. In my opinion whoever made that statement should be writing fiction. Oh wait, they already are!

Original review: June 26, 2017

Pur faucet water filters. DO NOT waste your hard earned money on buying this brand. It is junk. Mine broke in less than 2 months. Called them will take over 2 weeks to replace it... We don't drink bottled water so this is a huge inconvenience. Told them this, "oh well" is what they said to me. Unbelievable... NOT a happy customer.

Original review: June 18, 2017

I've had two of the Pur faucet mounts. In both cases the product worked great for the first couple of months but then started leaking in multiple places, to the extent that the product was useless. The first time, I thought it was just a fluke and replaced it with a more expensive model. Then, within few months, it happened again. In short, this product is complete garbage. Do not waste your money. Whoever designed it should be whipped and fired.

Original review: May 27, 2017

After replacing the filter on these newer snap on models, the water started spewing out from the top and the sides. I had no issues for the first few weeks but after that it was useless. Waste of money. I've been trying to locate the older screw on filters in stores with no luck.

Original review: May 7, 2017

These water filters were the first type of water filter that I tried. When I first installed the filter it worked very well. When we installed the first replacement filter it began shooting water out from around the top of the filter housing. It has never worked without this waste of water since then. Before it began pouring water out of the top quality of the taste of the water was noticeable. After the defect began the water taste was not as good as before. It seems as though it does not filter the water that is pouring out of the top giving you a mix of filtered and unfiltered water. In short, THIS PRODUCT IS TERRIBLE AND EXPENSIVE.

Original review: May 1, 2017

Have purchased two of these units because I thought perhaps the first faucet mount failed because of a defect. So disappointed because the filter nearly outlasted the mount! The first one developed a crack. The second did the same thing. Now I have a cupboard full of filters and will not be purchasing a new mount. Very frustrating. Tried calling the company (and will continue to do so), but first call disconnected (which could just be my phone) and second call got me to an automated message. I will say the filtration on these is great - just not worth the money.

Original review: April 20, 2017

Expensive lead removing PUR filter doesn't remove much else. Basic PUR pitcher filter removes most everything else. Filters are made in Mexico. Quality was much better when they were made in USA. Bring manufacturing home & let's see if we can fix this.

Original review: April 12, 2017

I am not writing to especially advocate the filter housing. I really have had issues ONLY with the "snap on" models recently. They are horrid. The water shoots out from the connector. I was able to go back to the "screw on" model after finding one online. I think the water tastes better as chlorine taste is diminished. I cannot however verify, as anyone else could, that the replacement filters are genuine. There is no identifier on the blue cartridges when I purchase them. No consumer can verify the removal of other impurities either. The water simply tastes better. If you cannot afford a reverse osmosis system, it is cheaper to replace a filter every 2-3 months to tolerate the drinking water, especially city water.

Original review: March 30, 2017

I was thinking about buying one after seeing their ad about lead in our water. They did say that all products they were showing had government approved levels of lead, the dialogue encouraged the thought there shouldn't be any lead in our water. Anyway, I visited one of their retailers to look into buying a filter. I picked up a box, with a filter inside, and started reading about its abilities. I then looked to see what minerals, or anything else, was left after using the filter. Wow!! Couldn't believe it. In small numbers, listed on the chart, was Lead .05 (not sure how much too shocked).

The ad on tv was sandblasting all other sources of water, because they had safe levels of trace lead. Took my time to the clerk and said there's nothing on your tv ad about lead being allowed through during cleaning. She said there was and showed it to me. She was right, about two seconds, small figures mixed among other small figures. I said that you didn't tell people you still had trace lead in the water. She said the govt doesn't require it. Slimy, manipulating, immoral, greedy...ad nauseam ad infinitum.

Original review: March 26, 2017

I have used Pur water filters for several years and have been pleased with the WATER quality, I am however very displeased with the PRODUCT quality. The first one split out the side of the housing after less than 1 year of use. I thought this must be a one off failure and certainly wouldn't happen again. Well I was almost right, my second one has developed a crack in the front that shoots the water straight at me. Both were bought at Home Depot. It's a shame they are so shoddily made because they really did make the water taste better, but I will never buy another one of their products again and am researching alternatives. My advice... these are a waste of money!

Original review: March 13, 2017

We purchased this pitcher to ensure our quality of water intake was good, However the quality of how the pitcher is design is horrible. I myself being in plastic co and being a Quality control inspector this design is very poor. The lid to pitcher on sits in no tight seal and when you pour I don't care how slow a force of water comes rushing out and you lose 1/4 of you filtered water. And it's frustrating enough when you fill your pitcher you have to wait a long time to fill it because of the water going though foyer process. So needless to say if you're at the bottom of your water pitcher you best believe you might only get 1/2 of your supply. Very disappointed of a well named company! Money wasted!!!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2017

I purchased the Pur Maxion unit that attaches to the faucet. It worked well for 3 months UNTIL I had to change the filter. I followed all instructions but the unit light is red after installation. I ran the water for 5 minutes as instructed but still have a red light. I called the company & spoke w/ H. She acted as though she gets the same call all the time. She said, "It's still working when the light is red, you'll just have to remember when to change the filter." That is NOT how the instructions say it should work. What good is a filter if it's not doing what is supposed to do? A really dumb answer from Pur. I would NOT recommend this product to a friend. Poor quality, poor customer service.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2017

I purchased and used the PUR Faucet mount filtering system. I measured the ppm with a Bluelab ppm pen. The pen is in calibration with industry standard solutions. I measured the water before filtering which measured 200 ppm on the 500 ppm scale. I then measured the filtered water. The water measured the same 200 ppm. Looks like this filter does nothing. The company would not help to clarify why the readings were the same. Looks like FRAUD to me. Tell everyone my findings to protect them from this fraudulent company. I just want a product to filter my water properly, and what I paid for. Zero water measured ZERO ppm. My ppm pen is accurate. PUR system does not work!!!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2017

Bought a new Pur classic faucet mounted filter. On the way home from the grocery I noticed a chemical smell in my car. I forgot the filter in my car overnight (garaged, winter temperature, completely shaded). Opened the car door the next day and my entire car was filled with a toxic odor. I took a quick whiff of the Pur box and it smelled horrendous. If the outside smells this toxic, I'm not chancing it with the filter itself. I used Pur many years ago and was under the impression they were still made in the USA, especially since that's what their NSF certification claims. Was also dismayed to find that their components are now made in China and Mexico. At least Brita's filter is made in Canada. I'll invest in an under sink filter made in the USA.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2017

Purchased a new PUR Faucet Water Filter about a year ago. Did not have a problem with it until a month ago. When I run water directly, without using the filter, the flow is very slow. I have to flip to use the filter, and then back again, to get a regular flow from the faucet. It is very annoying. I contacted PUR, and they told me I must send the unit back to PUR with the purchase receipt and then they will replace it. I am on a fixed income and my wife needs filtered water due to a medical condition. Got the PUR water filter unit to save money over bottled/filtered water. Cannot wait weeks or months until PUR gets around to sending us a new one. PUR told me they will not send me another faucet unit.

I am very angry at PUR for way they are responding to not replace our PUR unit unless we send them our defective unit and wait for them to get around to sending us another one. Where is their compassion and understanding? Where is their customer service? Do they really care about their customers, especially ones that are on a fixed income?

Original review: Jan. 11, 2017

New filters give off horrible sulfur smell! I changed the filters twice, and smell remained. I bought new ones, and with each the water had this sulfur smell. This makes the water is too disgusting to drink! I will never buy Pur products again.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2016

I have not had the negative experiences that I'm seeing in many of the reviews. I've had the filter for about a year. No problem with leaking or with the indicator light not working. The filter took some getting used to. One minor annoyance is that when I've run water through the filter, and I turn off the faucet, a few more drops dribble out. But it makes sense that this would happen, since there is already water running through the filter itself when you shut off the water, and that little bit probably can't be held in the filter but needs to run out.

Just this week I had an experience that I still don't know what to think of. The indicator had switched from green to yellow and stayed there for several days, as usual. I had a new filter ready for when the light turned red, and when that happened, I grabbed the new one, unscrewed the housing and pulled out the old filter. Then I got distracted, and I put the old filter back in by mistake instead of the new one. I turned on the faucet, and the light was green! I decided to leave it in and see how long it would take for the light to turn yellow and red again. So far it has been five days, and the light is still green.

I believe the indicator senses when the filter is clogging up and it is taking more pressure to force the water through, so I'm wondering if taking it out and reinstalling it dislodged some particles that were beginning to clog it up, much like backpacking filters can be backwashed to keep them functioning longer. I sure hope it's not some nefarious bit of programming in the filter, designed to make you change filters more often.

The water still tastes very good - which I must add I really like about the filter. All in all, I feel like this has been a good purchase, and I plan to continue using the filter. Also, the company will send a metal faucet adapter at no cost for anyone who is having problems with the plastic one, which seems like good customer service to me - although, maybe they could just do away with the plastic one from the start!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2016

I now use a water pitcher and with PUR filters. I much prefer them to bottled water which costs about the same for a 3 month period for me, but l have no bottles to recycle, and the convenience and the feeling of safety is much valued.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2016

I have used Pur filters for over 10 years. I started with their faucet filter with the mechanical timer - then moved into an apartment with a small sink but large refrigerator so I recycled the faucet mount and got a pitcher - then moved into a different apartment with larger sink and half sized refrigerator so recycled the pitcher and bought the new filter with the digital timer (I still use it now in the house I own).

The newest digital faucet filter originally leaked near where it connected to the adapter but Pur gives out new, free (+ free shipping) replacements and now it's fine. Only complaint is there is no way to replace the battery on the digital light timer (The old mechanical one was much more reliable and basically would have never broken) - but I kind of ignore that anyway and just change the filter when the water starts to taste "off". Sometimes that was sooner than either timer and sometimes it was later. If I don't have a spare filter on hand I'll drink bottled water for a couple days until I can get one and the bonus is I can refill those plastic bottles and re-use them quite a few times and refrigerate them so I have cold on the go water before I recycle them.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2016

Had to replace the first filtration unit when it split wide open. Now the second one leaks at the seam where the unit is closed after inserting filter. Product box states "100% satisfaction within 30 days or money refunded, no questions asked". In fact, when I called to complain and ask for refund, I received nothing but questions and a refusal to do a refund. Do not buy this product, it's a ripoff.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2016

Over the past year-and-a-half I have purchased two Pur water filters. The first one cracked on the housing unit, I thought it was because it had been tightened down too hard. I purchased a second one and I am the only one who has used it and I know for certain that the housing unit was not tightened too much thereby causing the plastic to crack. The best the company was able to offer me was a new one if I would send the old one in and I pay the postage. That's almost the cost of a new one. Additionally, it would have been two to four weeks turnaround that I would have had to do without a water filter. Although it does filter water well, the taste of the water is great, the unit only last about 4 months if that. Not worth the money.

Pur Water Filters Company Information