Pur Water Filters

Compare Bath & Plumbing Companies

Research top Bath & Plumbing Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

We purchased this pitcher to ensure our quality of water intake was good, However the quality of how the pitcher is design is horrible. I myself being in plastic co and being a Quality control inspector this design is very poor. The lid to pitcher on sits in no tight seal and when you pour I don't care how slow a force of water comes rushing out and you lose 1/4 of you filtered water. And it's frustrating enough when you fill your pitcher you have to wait a long time to fill it because of the water going though foyer process. So needless to say if you're at the bottom of your water pitcher you best believe you might only get 1/2 of your supply. Very disappointed of a well named company! Money wasted!!!

I purchased the Pur Maxion unit that attaches to the faucet. It worked well for 3 months UNTIL I had to change the filter. I followed all instructions but the unit light is red after installation. I ran the water for 5 minutes as instructed but still have a red light. I called the company & spoke w/ H. She acted as though she gets the same call all the time. She said, "It's still working when the light is red, you'll just have to remember when to change the filter." That is NOT how the instructions say it should work. What good is a filter if it's not doing what is supposed to do? A really dumb answer from Pur. I would NOT recommend this product to a friend. Poor quality, poor customer service.

I purchased and used the PUR Faucet mount filtering system. I measured the ppm with a Bluelab ppm pen. The pen is in calibration with industry standard solutions. I measured the water before filtering which measured 200 ppm on the 500 ppm scale. I then measured the filtered water. The water measured the same 200 ppm. Looks like this filter does nothing. The company would not help to clarify why the readings were the same. Looks like FRAUD to me. Tell everyone my findings to protect them from this fraudulent company. I just want a product to filter my water properly, and what I paid for. Zero water measured ZERO ppm. My ppm pen is accurate. PUR system does not work!!!

Bought a new Pur classic faucet mounted filter. On the way home from the grocery I noticed a chemical smell in my car. I forgot the filter in my car overnight (garaged, winter temperature, completely shaded). Opened the car door the next day and my entire car was filled with a toxic odor. I took a quick whiff of the Pur box and it smelled horrendous. If the outside smells this toxic, I'm not chancing it with the filter itself. I used Pur many years ago and was under the impression they were still made in the USA, especially since that's what their NSF certification claims. Was also dismayed to find that their components are now made in China and Mexico. At least Brita's filter is made in Canada. I'll invest in an under sink filter made in the USA.

Purchased a new PUR Faucet Water Filter about a year ago. Did not have a problem with it until a month ago. When I run water directly, without using the filter, the flow is very slow. I have to flip to use the filter, and then back again, to get a regular flow from the faucet. It is very annoying. I contacted PUR, and they told me I must send the unit back to PUR with the purchase receipt and then they will replace it. I am on a fixed income and my wife needs filtered water due to a medical condition. Got the PUR water filter unit to save money over bottled/filtered water. Cannot wait weeks or months until PUR gets around to sending us a new one. PUR told me they will not send me another faucet unit.

I am very angry at PUR for way they are responding to not replace our PUR unit unless we send them our defective unit and wait for them to get around to sending us another one. Where is their compassion and understanding? Where is their customer service? Do they really care about their customers, especially ones that are on a fixed income?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pur Water Filters?

New filters give off horrible sulfur smell! I changed the filters twice, and smell remained. I bought new ones, and with each the water had this sulfur smell. This makes the water is too disgusting to drink! I will never buy Pur products again.

I have not had the negative experiences that I'm seeing in many of the reviews. I've had the filter for about a year. No problem with leaking or with the indicator light not working. The filter took some getting used to. One minor annoyance is that when I've run water through the filter, and I turn off the faucet, a few more drops dribble out. But it makes sense that this would happen, since there is already water running through the filter itself when you shut off the water, and that little bit probably can't be held in the filter but needs to run out.

Just this week I had an experience that I still don't know what to think of. The indicator had switched from green to yellow and stayed there for several days, as usual. I had a new filter ready for when the light turned red, and when that happened, I grabbed the new one, unscrewed the housing and pulled out the old filter. Then I got distracted, and I put the old filter back in by mistake instead of the new one. I turned on the faucet, and the light was green! I decided to leave it in and see how long it would take for the light to turn yellow and red again. So far it has been five days, and the light is still green.

I believe the indicator senses when the filter is clogging up and it is taking more pressure to force the water through, so I'm wondering if taking it out and reinstalling it dislodged some particles that were beginning to clog it up, much like backpacking filters can be backwashed to keep them functioning longer. I sure hope it's not some nefarious bit of programming in the filter, designed to make you change filters more often.

The water still tastes very good - which I must add I really like about the filter. All in all, I feel like this has been a good purchase, and I plan to continue using the filter. Also, the company will send a metal faucet adapter at no cost for anyone who is having problems with the plastic one, which seems like good customer service to me - although, maybe they could just do away with the plastic one from the start!

I now use a water pitcher and with PUR filters. I much prefer them to bottled water which costs about the same for a 3 month period for me, but l have no bottles to recycle, and the convenience and the feeling of safety is much valued.

I have used Pur filters for over 10 years. I started with their faucet filter with the mechanical timer - then moved into an apartment with a small sink but large refrigerator so I recycled the faucet mount and got a pitcher - then moved into a different apartment with larger sink and half sized refrigerator so recycled the pitcher and bought the new filter with the digital timer (I still use it now in the house I own).

The newest digital faucet filter originally leaked near where it connected to the adapter but Pur gives out new, free (+ free shipping) replacements and now it's fine. Only complaint is there is no way to replace the battery on the digital light timer (The old mechanical one was much more reliable and basically would have never broken) - but I kind of ignore that anyway and just change the filter when the water starts to taste "off". Sometimes that was sooner than either timer and sometimes it was later. If I don't have a spare filter on hand I'll drink bottled water for a couple days until I can get one and the bonus is I can refill those plastic bottles and re-use them quite a few times and refrigerate them so I have cold on the go water before I recycle them.

Had to replace the first filtration unit when it split wide open. Now the second one leaks at the seam where the unit is closed after inserting filter. Product box states "100% satisfaction within 30 days or money refunded, no questions asked". In fact, when I called to complain and ask for refund, I received nothing but questions and a refusal to do a refund. Do not buy this product, it's a ripoff.

Over the past year-and-a-half I have purchased two Pur water filters. The first one cracked on the housing unit, I thought it was because it had been tightened down too hard. I purchased a second one and I am the only one who has used it and I know for certain that the housing unit was not tightened too much thereby causing the plastic to crack. The best the company was able to offer me was a new one if I would send the old one in and I pay the postage. That's almost the cost of a new one. Additionally, it would have been two to four weeks turnaround that I would have had to do without a water filter. Although it does filter water well, the taste of the water is great, the unit only last about 4 months if that. Not worth the money.

Awful, and poorly designed, falls apart after a few months, blows off of faucet as well, and increases in frequency after time when out of warranty. Filters expensive also. Don't make the same mistake as I did.

Pur Water Filters were recommended by my landlord and they seemed great at first so while I was in Costco I bought a plenty pack of filters. The seam in the back part of filter sprays water. I tried a new filter a it doesn't help. I don't have receipts to return. I've spent at least $60.00 and I'm very disappointed.

I have been active user of Pur water filters for a number of years but I have had to replace mine 3 times in the last 5 months due to a pressure crack at the lip of the filter where the top screws on sealing the filter, and it's not from over tightening. The first time I could accept that something happened but when the second time 6 weeks later I was suspicious. But now it has happened again in a month. I have to have a filter so I guess I will have to try Brita. I bought my last 2 Pur filters from Amazon which I am saying is no different than buying from Wal-mart. I just think Pur needs to improve the product control.

I have been using the Pur Filter System on my kitchen sink for about a year now and had to replace it twice because the housing part that holds the filter did not last. When I turned the water on it would make a really loud vibrating noise and the water would not come out of the faucet. Needless to say I am not going to buy another one because the quality is poor.

We've had the filter for 4 months now. Changing the filter when the light went red. It did crack on the first changing which is a common issue, we looked past it and taped it up. But, we have been sick ever since we started using the filter. Went searching for clues and found mold growing in the filter in places that you're not supposed to change or clean out. If you want to save your family from awful sickness (Severe head cold, flu, gastrointestinal issues, my husband even was sent to the ER with a 107.3 temp.) do not buy this product. It has caused us so much pain and discomfort. My 10 month old has been sick non-stop for 4 months with a head cold and tummy issues. I'd much rather have mediocre tasting water than be sick.

Got the "Sorry only 1 month only on returns or refund." so thanks for your money fool.

I purchased a PUR faucet filter today locally at Bed Bath and Beyond. The system was rather easy to install on my kitchen faucet using one of the adapters included. From the very beginning of installation it leaked. I fiddled with it for hours trying to tighten the adapter and applying other methods to stop the leak. Nothing worked. If you go to their website which incidentally is one of the worst websites I have ever had the displeasure of visiting, they will supply you absolutely free a new metal adapter. That is if you can complete the order. The website does not work. Good Luck! Why doesn't the company supply a proper adapter in the original packaging?? So - I am left with a leaking piece of ** that I paid good money for. Another piece of crap peddled to the American public. I mean it shouldn't be this hard people!

Here we go again in this country with crappily made products and the public gets screwed. Like everyone else has said, we purchased the PUR we liked it. Eventually, we got a couple of new ones and they leaked and the light wasn't working, yada yada. I haven't noticed any unpleasant taste though like some people have, but I have been having horrible stomach problems of which I can find no reason. One reviewer listed the toxic ingredients and their levels and now I am wondering if that is why I am sick. If I find out that this is the problem I am going to sue that company!!! If this company has been taken over, why did they ruin it?

We have been using PUR faucet mount system since 11/25/12. Started with horizontal mount unit; replaced first unit after one year; replaced 2nd unit with a vertical, chrome unit on 6/27/15. At some point in 2014, we noticed the unit dripped, as did the does the new, vertical unit. We only hear drips if there is a bowl, with water in it, in the sink below the filter unit. We replaced our kitchen faucet this past summer and the filter unit still drips. The filters have lasted us about 60 days (+/- 5 days) before the amber light comes on. My wife and I are the only ones in the household. I am considering switching to some other form of filtration since the filter unit leaks and the price of RF-9999 filters has increased. I cannot recommend this faucet mount, filtration system.

When it was 6 months old the change cartridge indicator light quit working. I was told I would have to mail the whole unit back for repair. I didn't want to be without the filter so I declined. The ppm used to be around 45 with a new filter and about 100 unfiltered so I would change it accordingly. Now the new filter ppm reading is the same as the unfiltered reading and it makes a humming noise. I don't want to jump through all hard to comply hoops set up by Pur Water Filters so I'm throwing it away and purchasing a different brand. By the way this unit is only 10 months old. Do yourself a favor and stay away from this brand.

I have bought 2 Pur water filter systems. Both worked well until I had to replace filters. The on both I replaced the filters as easy as stated in the video except on both systems I bought the LEDs failed to light. I tried multiple times and to this day they still haven't worked. I will not ever buy Pur filter systems again.

I had this system for about 8 weeks when I noticed the following: There was a slimy feel to the inside of the water reservoir. Water filtering slowed. So I ran boiling water through it. Tried to shake it up after it cooled. Ran more boiling water thru it a couple hours later. I then noticed some whitish matter floating in the water. When I held a clear glass up to the light, I saw what looked like a tiny piece of rice - about 2 mm in length. I could not tell what it was, it was so tiny. I placed it under a microscope that magnified it 70x. To my absolute horror I could see clearly a white worm.

Biggest piece of crap company I have ever dealt with. Their products suck, and the customer service is worse.

These faucet filters by Pur are cheap, plastic junk. Mine leaked from day 1 despite following the installation instructions to the letter. After a year of daily use the plastic housing cracked spraying water all over the kitchen - useless. This was the 2nd one. I'm not going to be suckered into a 3rd one. I'm having a plumber install a carbon & sediment filter on the supply line from the meter. It will be more cost-effective over the long haul and provide better quality water.

Bought & installed this product. The disposable filters are to last for 100 gallons or 3 months according to their product info. I have already used 4 filters & they only last 4-5 weeks. I live alone & know that I'm not using that much water. Called customer service & was told the unit needed to be replaced but I would have to pay shipping return cost. A defective product should be replaced at the company's expense. Wish I had researched reviews on this product instead of believing the info on their package.

I added this filter to my faucet and immediately had problems. The water flow through the unfiltered faucet is severely reduced. This is followed by a loud hammering in the pipes until the flow is reduced even further. When the filter is removed from the spout, the flow returns to normal, and the hammering disappears. I have since removed the Pur Faucet Filter from my home and replaced it with a separate filtration system that works much more efficiently at any flow, without a water hammer damaging the pipes.

The faucet adapter doesn't last long before it starts spraying all over my sink area. You can go and buyback new adapter. You have to buy a new unit when all you need is the adapter. I will not recommend this unit to anyone. I like how my water taste but tired of wasting my money on another unit when all I need is the faucet adapter. My receipts got thrown away before I realize how fast the adapter goes out.

The last two boxes of PUR water filters were faulty. When I opened each one of them, there was moisture in them. The company said there was no problem with the moisture - that happens sometimes. I tried to use them and the water wouldn't flow through the filter like it normally would. It would take all day to get some of the water through it. The box states you will get 40 gallons, we got only 8 gallons and the filter would stop completely.

I called today, and they said there is nothing they can do about it since I no longer have my receipt. I didn't keep my receipt because I didn't plan on problems. I do have the latest box and photo of the issue. I told them their box has a "Money back guarantee, no questions asked" - still nothing. I asked to be switched to a supervisor and was disconnected.

Since 2004 I have used a Pur Water Filter which attaches to the faucet and worked like a charm until 2014 when the cover cracked from opening and closing to replace the filter. Purchased a new replacement Pur Filter which I did not realize had a new design until I installed it. The LED indicator only worked for about 2 weeks then stopped functioning. I tried everything to get this filter to stop leaking. I have 3 different streams of water coming out of the filter (only 1 stream is filtered water). When I turn my water up too high (with lever up) the water actually stops coming out of the faucet and sprays out all over the kitchen.

For the life of me I just cannot understand why a company would redesign what was once a perfectly good product and turn it into a non-functioning product. Also, has anyone seen the TV commercial for this Pur Filter? Notice they show the product on a faucet but do not turn the water on. If they did water would be spraying everywhere. I want my old Pur Filter design back.

Pur Water Filters Company Profile