3.86/5

Need a water treatment system?

516 Pur Water Filters Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 21, 2019

After researching water purifier products, around 7 years ago, I chose the PUR system and I have used their water pitchers continually since then. I have had only minimal issues with it in all these years. As I read many Reviews here about it I wanted to point something out, which was not made clear in what the people were writing here as an issue, but perhaps this will explain why they are having at least one of the Frequently Mentioned problems of them putting in a new filter after the previous one blinked red, but then the very next filter was red right away and any subsequent ones were also blinking red right away.

NOTE: The indicator light does not reset itself to green just because the filter was changed to a new one! you must reset the Indicator Light (atop the pitcher lid), once you get the new filter installed/simultaneous to that, by holding/pressing down the button for 5 full seconds ("One one thousand; two one thousand; three one thousand; four one thousand; five one thousand" count to yourself). You will see it change from red back to green at the end of that 5 seconds, and be reset then to green to go along with your newly installed replacement filter. Without this step, yes the Indicator Light will Continue to flash red! It is not a psychic filter system that just knows on its own that you just put a new filter in it! You must reset the indicator light in the way I just pointed out to you.

I did notice some white floating particles in some of the newer Lead reducing filters, and the packaging with them explains that they are considered normal. I haven't had this happen with every filter, but I simply didn't care for the look of that, so what I did was to fill the upper chamber quickly and then pour right back out into the sink, several times, in effect flushing it out further (I say further, because, each new filter MUST BE PROCESSED by first soaking it by immersion for 15 minutes then rinsing it under the running faucet for 10 seconds before installing it into the pitcher, so, these steps were already done by me BEFORE I added this 'rinsing out the fill chamber' step I describe here.

When I had done this a few fills at most, I stopped seeing any flakes of white plastic (or whatever it is, which is some part of the filter itself, floating in the water). Then, I finally did the first fill that I then put the lid on and allowed to filter into the pitcher for my consumption. Any small amounts of Rinse Step water that did get through into the bottom of the pitcher, as I Rinsed the top section out a few times like that, I also emptied out before I did my first pitcher fill. This description takes longer to read than for you to actually do the Rinse step, and it gives you more peace of mind about it. I personally prefer the filter filters slowly as I want a thorough filtering done on the water I drink as I am very health conscious and careful about what I ingest.

When you first fill the top, quickly look down at the bottom of the filter where the hole are filtering water into the pitcher and check to see --- especially when you just put in a new filter --- that it is indeed dripping water from the filter holes into the pitcher. I usually only see 2 - 4 holes draining, and usually closer to 2, but it works and fills the pitcher with the filtered water I want (do you REALLY want FAST with this or do you want THOROUGH?). I plan ahead with it so I never NEED IT when it is FILLING. @ top fills = 1 full pitcher of filtered water, and yes, it isn't INSTANT. So, I KEEP the pitcher FILLED (by the 2 fills, done in a row) to have a full pitcher's worth of water at a time available when I need it. I also don't refrigerate my pitcher.

I pour the filtered water into a separate Fridge pitcher and keep the PUR one on the counter and always filled, adding to the Fridge pitcher (not a PUR one) as needed. So, I satisfy my thirst from the readily available Fridge pitcher and am not in the least bit worrying about how long (thorough) my PUR pitcher is taking to create healthier water for me. I also keep a pitcher of iced Green Tea (made with PUR water) in the fridge as well, so when it is time to make that, it takes the entire PUR pitcher capacity to fill my Tea Pitcher + the pan of steeped Green Tea that is the basic ingredient for this tea (also PUR water).

After filling that Tea pitcher full with my newest batch, I immediately boil the PUR water in a pan and add tea bags to steep for my next pitcher of tea, while also filling the filtering PUR pitcher (the twice needed, to fill it, while I am in the Kitchen). Yes, I often can't get both fillings completed as I stand there at the stove heating water for tea, but I got started on it, and, as soon as possible, I finish filling it up (using it to keep my Fridge water pitcher filled, my Green tea water filtered and on stand by for my next tea pitcher, and any other uses I need it for.

So, my two main points to you are: RESET THE INDICATOR LIGHT as I taught you or you WILL keep seeing it on RED even though you JUST PUT IN a NEW filter, and, do a few RINSE OUTS of the TOP PORTION of the pitcher, IF you see the little particles with some filters (which only started showing up AFTER they went to ADDING LEAD REMOVAL, which I APPRECIATE THEM FOR DOING since Lead is such a hazardous substance!).

Don't filter through these rinse out fillings at all! Try not to let it go through the filter at all, and pour out the little that does, just for your peace of mind. Simply quickly, full faucet fast, fill the top portion and then turn the pitcher over and dump out that water right back into the sink. As you wait for it to fill, these few rinse outs, be looking in it to see if there are less particles, and then finally, no particles, left floating in it. Then, fill it to filter, as normally, and be sure you have reset you indicator light! Look down to see that there are at least a couple of holes filtering water. If so, it is not broken.

It is being tightly controlling and doing its best to filter out harmful lead and things that can undermine your health. Maybe instead of complaining that is slow (we are too much of a fast is a good thing society, anymore), be grateful that its thoroughness means you are getting healthier water to drink! By the way, I also completely wash my pitcher, all 3 separate parts --- pitcher, lid, and upper fill tray --- each time I add a new filter to it, and then rinse the soap off very well, to keep it clean inside and out; not just when it was new out of the box at purchase. I take care for it so it can take care of me! And, for the cynics, no; I do not work for PUR company.

I am a retired Senior Citizen 'Grandma' Lady. For all it does for our health, it actually requires very little care, but deserves a good bath, I think, before every filter change. I really think that there were not a lot of 'broken' filters turning red right away; I suspect the owners were failing to remember/notice to RESET THE INDICATOR LIGHT.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I've had to contact PUR once in the past about a faucet filter I purchased. My filter began leaking just over a year after purchased and was out of warranty. PUR offered to replace the product. I only had to pay for shipping costs to return the defect product. It took some time for this whole process, but I didn't expect them to replace the filter and was quite pleased they stood by their product. Love the filter itself and would definitely purchase products from them again in the future.

Get expert buying tips about Water Treatment Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I never had a problem with mine and there is no chlorine taste at all. Way better than bottled water and sink water. For 20 bucks can't go wrong. Filters a lot of contaminants. I recommend it to anyone. I don't see how people have problems unless you put it on wrong or something or the wrong filter.

Original review: April 28, 2019

I bought this faucet attachment and a 4 pack of replacement filters in December 2018. Initially it worked great. Two months later (February 2019) the red light started blinking so I replaced the filter. Again, two months later (now in April 2019) the red light started blinking. So far I have gone through 2 of the 4 filters. I open the third filter package but it immediately turned yellow. It somehow bypassed the green stage and the next day it was blinking red. I thought it was strange and was a fluke so I opened the last filter package but this one immediately turned red. I still thought it was a fluke but thought I’d look into the situation online and if anyone else was having the same problem and it turns out A LOT of people have this problem. For $30 you MIGHT get one or two working filters. I don’t like gambling my money for water. I’ll be sure to not suggest this brand, especially not after seeing other reviews.

Original review: April 18, 2019

I bought a Pur faucet mounted water filter in August of 2018. Today Apr 18 2019 it started leaking in many places. Called Pur and they told me I had to ship it back at my expense $15 and they would send me a new one. I asked why I had to sink another $15 in a junk product that only lasted 8 months. They didn't care. Remember there really are no warranties anymore because you have to pay to ship it back to them and that's just pissing away more money on junk.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pur Water Filters?

Original review: April 12, 2019

Any and all products from PUR are pure garbage. I bought a PUR Ultimate Maxion Filter in March of 2019 and immediately when I placed it on my kitchen faucet it started leaking profusely. They then sent me a basic PUR filter under warranty and it also leaked as well after both Shirley and Daniel from KAZ/PUR customer service lied to me about sending me another PUR Ultimate filter. This company is very disingenuous, shady, and corrupt. All of their products are of absolute shoddy and inferior quality, so please don't waste any of your precious money or time in buying them!

Both filters which leaked at the seams also got stuck on my kitchen faucet and I had to use a wrench just to pry them off. All PUR products need to be taken off of store shelves/websites and this completely pathetic excuse for a company needs to be shut down and out of business as soon as possible. Thank God that I got back my $45 dollars that I spent on the first one that I had originally purchased from Amazon. These people at PUR are low-class, thieves, swindlers, and scams artists so please heed my warning!

Original review: March 8, 2019

I have had a Pur pitcher for the last year and a half. During that time, I had filters that would not let water through at all. I could not return them because I always bought a box of 3 filters. The last box I bought, of the three filters, two of them were defective and did not let water through. I contacted their customer service department through their website, and was told I could send any defective filters to them at my expense - the email from them stating this is pasted below:

"Please be advised that you are responsible for the shipping charges incurred while sending this unit back to us, and we recommend shipping it using the most cost effective method possible. We strongly recommend sending it in with some sort of tracking or delivery confirmation, as we cannot be responsible for anything lost in the mail. We recommend you retain a copy of your tracking number or delivery confirmation until you receive your new unit. Approximate turnaround time is 2-6 weeks." I believe this is a terrible customer service model and will not be using their products once this last filter is done.

Original review: March 7, 2019

Pitcher lid is made to not stay on and indicator light does not work even though it is brand new. Very disappointed! The product's price is NOT CHEAP, BUT THE PRODUCT IS. Who makes a pitcher where the lid falls off??? Customer service said even though I had the box, I had to have the receipt too. REALLY???

Original review: March 2, 2019

I purchased this pitcher because I was replacing a spigot-type pitcher that I had been using for a number of years because of the convenience and space-saving design. The Pur pitcher was on "clearance" at my local store so I decided, why not? Upon opening and setting up the pitcher and filter for first use, I noticed that the water was taking WAY too long to filter into the pitcher. I figured it was because it was being used for the first time and needed a break-in period. After it FINALLY filtered, I did not notice that the water had not completely drained into the pitcher and, when I went to pour, water went EVERYWHERE! Ok, so lesson learned--so I thought!

The next time that I filled it, I checked the top basket FIRST then, proceeded to pour. Yep, water spilled down the front of the pitcher and all over the counter--what the--? Yes, I checked the basket AND held open the thumb-activated lid opening (though using my thumb to keep it open just doesn't quite work--the pitcher is too heavy for THAT maneuver!). I took the filter out, shook it like the instructions suggest, screwed it back into the basket and refilled (which takes about two complete fill-ups to completely fill). The water takes FOREVER to drain into the pitcher--WHY???

I have now been using this pitcher for over a month and, though the water DOES taste good, I don't feel that it was the BEST investment for what I was hoping for. I will continue to use it just because I like the taste of the water and, because I don't like to waste, but I will not be completely satisfied until the water filters into the pitcher at a much quicker pace. Hopefully, subsequent filters will prove to be more effective.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

We purchased two (2) Pur Water Filter Systems. The pitcher and large front valve versions. They both use the identical Pur inserted filter. Followed the instructions (multiple steps to prep the filter) to the letter and filled the top reservoirs on both reservoirs. Then, waited and waited and waited... Over two (2) hours later the water finally made it through the filters. Will not purchase from this company once we deplete our current box of 6 new filters.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

I have been using PUR for a couple of years. Last fall I had two filter from the same box clog fairly quickly, so I ordered a new set of three. Less than two months later, all three clogged. The last one clogged with only two gallons filtered. I called their customer service line and the first thing it said was that they were "experiencing higher than usual call volumes". Once I made it through the menu to talk to a live representative, the message changed to one of me calling off hours and to call back Monday thru Friday. They weren't experiencing a high call volume. In my opinion they are just using that to cover understaffing customer service.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I have bought three of these for the kitchen faucet but no more! These systems are TRASH! They have a light that flashes green when everything is okay, then it flashes orange that's suppose to tell you it's time to get ready to change the filter, and finally red saying you're too late! Each and every one of these pieces of junk I've bought when they turned orange not red have BLOWED the back that screws on CLEAR APART rendering them useless!!! Never again PUR!!!

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

I’ve used both Brita and Pur filters for many years and have had periodic problems with Pur (when they work they work well - but occasionally I’ve had one or two that clogged quickly and had to be replaced). I just tried the 99% lead-reducing type (white plastic top) and have spent over an hour trying to get them to work. Two out of three in the new box had the same problem – they ran very slowly and stopped altogether after about half filling the pitcher. I then tried one of the previous (blue top) filters and it’s now filtering my water as usual so I will throw out my three “new model” 99% filters and continue to use the original (all blue) filters with their only occasional malfunction rather than the newer model which seems to block not only lead but water too! NOTE: I only gave them one star since that was the minimum allowed - they really deserve 0 stars.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

Most HORRIBLE customer service in my 49 years here on Earth. I switched from Brita water filter pitchers to PUR dispenser about 3 years ago because I liked the capacity & convenience of a stand alone dispenser in the fridge. I was replacing the blue "Maxion" cartridge every 3 months as recommended, and noticed early on that the water flow through it would slow down immensely to almost stopping working after the first month. Not only that, but small carbon particles were "leaking" out of the cartridge into the upper reservoir which told me the filter was defective. I called PUR customer support and was told the leaking carbon (BROKEN filter) was "totally normal," and was kept on the phone for THIRTY MINUTES while this rep and his "manager" discussed different ways to have me "clean" and "unclog" the filter, which amounted to 2 hours of flushing with bleach, and then ANOTHER 2 hours of vinegar flushing(!)...WHAT!

FOUR hours to fix a filter I have to BUY every 3 months anyway? (Remember...this is a $7 retail value item these guys are spending a half hour trying to figure out here.) And finally, after I had had enough I said "Why don't you just send me a new non-defective filter?" Their answer? "No, we don’t do that...send replacements." These two clowns spent an hour of total manhour/wage time to do everything in their power NOT to send me a filter that costs PUR maybe...MAYBE 2 bucks and a friggin 50-cent stamp. I am throwing out ALL my PUR products and switching back to BRITA which I should have never left behind. WORST COMPANY EVER. DO NOT BUY PUR PRODUCTS. THEY ARE DEFECTIVE AND THEY DON'T BELIEVE IN CUSTOMER SATISFACTION!!! Oh, and the leaking carbon being "normal?" Look at these horrendous images of my PUR dispenser/filter and YOU tell ME...SMFH.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

We bought PUR water purifier from Wal-mart. The water filter worked OK for 1st two months. Then, when the red light came on, we replaced the filter with brand new PUR filter. It immediately turned red. We used another new filter and it also turned red immediately. We logged on to consumer complaint site and found many people are having the same problem. This is a lousy product - don't buy!!!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I've compared several water filters including Pur. You want the best water filter that has zero particles (tested with a meter) try Zero Water. Been using it for 8 years now and love it. Pur Water Filter leaves particles in it but Zero Water doesn't.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I bought PUR water filter in January, initial filter worked approximate 5 months as my usage is very less. Recently, I replaced the filter and it stopped working within a week. I thought there may be some problem in product, then again I tried another new filter, that also stopped working within 3 days. Worst filter. They have mentioned that filter life is 2 months (40 Gallons). All misleading information and worst quality. I wasted my money twice on purchasing this filter in hope that it will work out.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Called several times, rep refused to resolve. LED light has never worked. Filters never last two months as stated on box. Rep said it was "up to 2 months" & 5 weeks was within the guarantee! Will not buy again but couldn't get a refund nor replacement.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

I had my Pur Maxion system just shy of a month. The first filter only lasted two weeks before the indicator turned red even though it was supposed to last 3 months. The replacement filter started blinking red exactly less than two weeks after that. I have since wasted two replacement filters trying to get it to blink green again, but it still blinks red with new filters. This whole endeavor was a ridiculous waste of money.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Purchased Pur faucet filter about six months ago and recently the light indicator stopped working. I began looking at the reviews to see if anyone mentioned about the same problem and a fix for it. Wow. There were a lot of consumers with the same problem. I bought a bad product. I will not invest on the product name. I counted on the light indicator because I have a busy schedule. I don’t think I will always remember to write down the date when I repacked the filter every three months.

Original review: July 10, 2018

We also paid $50 for this piece of junk. No matter what, every filter we use it immediately starts blinking red indicating that the filter needs to be changed. The filters are expensive, and we wasted two the last time to make sure. From the reviews, I see it is pointless to ask for a refund and sounds like I certainly would not want a replacement. They need to be reported to the Better Business Bureau. Big waste of money.

Original review: June 20, 2018

This review is for the PUR Maxion filter/pitcher. Filter is slow and ridiculously impractical. You can only fill up a few inches of water into the pitcher at a time. Who is going to stand around their sink area and wait for 30 min. to fill up a water pitcher one serving at a time?! Useless waster of money. I will be going back to the other brand of filter pitcher.

Original review: June 20, 2018

Quality control: Brownish slime came off 11 cup pitcher lead-removing filter after 15 min soak/10 sec rinse. CS agent stated co. aware of prob; working on correction. Offered to send replacement w/o lead filtering. Second CS agent said faucet filter is better than pitcher.

Original review: June 18, 2018

I have had my Pur Advanced water filter less than 1 year. It developed a sudden and MAJOR leak. I reseated the filter, along with also reseating the unit itself, and it still leaked like crazy. I called the customer service line listed on the original packaging. First of all, it took me calling every day or so for TWO WEEKS to get through to anyone. Secondly, the gentleman that I spoke with was polite and professional enough, but stated that the warranty is a "limited warranty" and that I have to send the product back at MY EXPENSE, and then wait for 2-4 more weeks to get a new filter.

The paperwork I have does not state ANYWHERE that is is a "limited" warranty, nor that I would be responsible for any cost should the product fail. This is truly unacceptable, and although I politely and thoroughly expressed my displeasure, I was told that this is the policy, take it or leave it. I will not purchase another product from this company.

Original review: May 1, 2018

As many others have found out the hard way. First few gallons of water go through the water pitcher filter just fine and tastes clear and great. Filter quickly blocks up. First filter worked for 10 gallons, second worked for 8.5 and the last only worked for 5.5 before clogging. No amount of vinegar shaking or drying out fixed problem. Found YouTube video where user cuts filter in half and finds out company puts Styrofoam balls in the filter to block it up as a design to wear out filter so you buy more!! RIP OFF. DO NOT BUY PUR FILTERS.

Original review: April 14, 2018

Sure you could just take the company's word for it that their filter is great, but if you try looking for actual lab data about the effectiveness of these filters you won't find any information. I was specifically looking to find the lead filtration effectiveness. Not possible. If you care about investing in your water quality, take the $50 a year you would spend on water filters and get a reverse osmosis system that is actually guaranteed to remove everything including such carcinogenic contaminants as hexavalent chromium (Pur is guaranteed to be ineffective against this contaminant).

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

I purchased the Pur Max Ion water filter a few months ago for $50. Within 3 months the filter developed a sudden major leak. It came with a 2 year warranty. Upon contacting Pur customer support (they apparently outsource this to a company called Kaz), they told me to ship the unit back to them AT MY EXPENSE. This is totally unacceptable and I demanded that they send me a shipping label at their expense.

I predict I will now be ignored by them but I want to share this experience with others so that they may use another brand of water filter. And btw, this is now the 2nd Pur water filter I've had effectively explode within the last 1.5 years. There is nothing wrong with my water pressure - it is the flimsy construction of their water filters that is the issue. In both cases, the O-rings joining the separable parts of the unit housing the replaceable filter have failed with some partial bending of the plastic shell. I wonder if the same O-ring engineers who worked on the Challenger Space Shuttle now work for Pur!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

So I've been having problems with these filters for a while but I thought I'd give them another shot. Purchased the PUR max filters and straight out of the box doesn't work. It took a half hour to get a little water. I did the re-soak and shaking the filter. DOES NOT WORK. I see they have a 30 day money back guarantee which doesn't help due to the fact there are three of these junk filters in the box, so who knows about all 3 of them. I'm done with this brand. Also good luck trying to go to their website, I get a warning that hackers are trying to infiltrate my system. This company is truly a joke.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

Water filter model number FM-3700B: I called approx 1 mo ago to find out why this filter went from green to red & then back to green. Told to call back after I changed the filter if I had a problem. When the filter went from green to red & then rapidly red to green for many times without changing the filter & now it has no light. Called. Said I would have to return it & the # on filter was older. I am very disappointed. It's less than 1 yr old won't be without filter sys.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

I have been a user of PUR water pitchers for many years. My initial experience was very positive. The old filters had a sensor that moved as time progressed and so the user knew when it was time to change the filter. Over the years the design of the filters changed in that there was no dial or indicator on the filter itself. The old filters had a black, charcoal like filling that you would notice when initially soaking and installing the filter. Some months ago I noticed that the filters now shed some white granular material. These newer filters are TERRIBLE! They are horribly slow and continually shed this white stuff. I'm so disappointed in the PUR filters that I am now looking to purchase another system. Anyone have recommendations?

Pur Water Filters Company Information