Learn More

4.5/5 (241 ratings)

About Kinetico

Founded in 1970, Kinetico produces efficient, built-to-last water softener and reverse osmosis systems for your home. Kinetico’s water treatment systems are non-electric, low-maintenance and fully automatic. Water treatment systems can extend the life of your plumbing, appliances and clothes as well as improve water taste and quality. The company offers three water softeners and water drinking filtration systems. Customers can find Kinetico water treatment systems through local specialist partners, but the company does not sell directly to consumers.

Pros

• Improves water taste and quality
  • Durable
  • Non-electric, powered by water
  • Three softener types

Cons

• Must buy from local partners
  • No upfront prices

Bottom Line

Kinetico produces non-electric water softeners and filtration systems built for efficiency and durability. The company sells three softener series that range from $500 to $5,000 and include warranties.

Top Kinetico Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I was convinced by my family member that Kinetico will be the best system to get. Setting up an appointment was fine and easy… I got a water filtration and softener product. The i...

Verified

The house that we bought already had the Kinetico softener system in it… The installation was excellent… After we replaced that tank, our well pump died. So we had them out there ...

How does a Kinetico water softener work?

Kinetico water softeners are salt-based and completely powered by moving water. These products help remove calcium and magnesium from your local tap water. Kinetico works with factory-certified, local specialists that offer consultation appointments and a free water test. These local dealers also handle the installation process.

Kinetico does not list prices on its website — you must contact a local retailer. The company sells three softeners: the Essential Series, Signature Series and Premium Series. The Signature and Premium series offer 24/7 soft water. Speak with your local specialist to determine the best softener for your home, budget and lifestyle.

Kinetico also sells water filtration systems, including reverse osmosis systems. These products are designed to ensure your water is safe to drink while removing bad smells and taste.

How much does a Kinetico water softener cost?

Kinetico offers three water softener series at three different price points, typically ranging from $500 to $5,000. The Essential Series is its most affordable model and offers limited water softening services. The Signature and Premium series offer 24/7 water softening and can handle harder water, higher capacity and other functions.

Exact prices are not available on the company’s website and are determined by local, third-party Kinetico dealers. Specialists offer in-home consultations and can provide a free water test to determine which water softener is right for your home and budget. Kinetico specialists are trained and perform installation services.

Kinetico FAQ

How long does a Kinetico water softener last?
Water softeners typically last between 10 and 15 years. Due to Kinetico’s higher quality, your water softener’s life span could extend to 20 or more years.
Do Kinetico water softeners need maintenance?
Kinetico water softeners are made to be low maintenance and use a non-electric design. Water softeners require new salt to be added periodically.
What kind of salt does the Kinetic water softener use?
Kinetico water softeners use evaporated salt, which can be bought in the form of pellets, cubes or blocks. Evaporated salt is the purest type of sodium chloride (table salt). Avoid using lesser-grade salts or rock salt because foreign particles can lead to maintenance and service issues.
Do Kinetico water softeners have a warranty?
Yes, Kinetico water softeners have product-specific warranties if they are installed by a Kinetico specialist. Warranties stay with the water softener and transfer to the next owner of your house.

Are Kinetico water softeners worth the money?

Kinetico water softeners are non-electric, built to last and made for efficiency. Kinetico softeners can use 70% less salt than other brands. The company partners with local specialists, which can make it difficult to determine the price of the softener and installation. If you’re looking for a high-quality, low-maintenance water softener or filtration system, however, Kinetico is a strong option.

Kinetico Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kinetico?

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

I was looking for a system that doesn't require a power outlet because I had to get it installed outdoor, next to my house, and didn’t have a power source. Kinetico was the only option that I found without a power source. Our water’s too hard and we have a tankless water heater. I read online saying that if you have a tankless one, it's best to have the water softener so it doesn't clog the little tubes inside the heater. It’s gonna make it last much longer. So, I feel the necessity of getting one and also reap the benefits of having one. I was debating about putting the one that was salt, and there are saltless ones. De Anza Water was close by, and their guy came over and gave me a lecture. It made me feel like he knows a lot of the industry, and he was very professional. He tested the water hardness for me, so I went with that company. Also, they are the one carrying Kinetico, so that makes sense.

De Anza was a lot more expensive than the other place sales like Costco and Lowe's, but I had to get one without power, so my option is limited. There were a lot of people asking for water softeners in different groups and I had recommended the company and the brand a couple times, but they always got back to me saying this is way more expensive than what they have otherwise quoted from what they found online from other brands. I like the system. It’s maintenance-free. I just wash the filter a few times over the years. But the pricing point is a little bit too high for other consumers that has the power outlet to choose from. Overall, for the quality of it, I’d definitely recommend Kinetico.

Get buying tips about Water Treatment Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 27, 2021

My wife and I needed a whole house water softener. We contacted Owens Water in Traverse City, MI after an exhaustive search. I've worked with softeners and demineralizers as a Marine Engineer. Tom ** came to our house and tested our water. No surprise that our water was hard and contained iron. Tom recommended the Kinetico 2060 non-electric softener. We ordered package #22 along with 2 extra filters and 3 extra 50lb bags of salt. 2 days later, Owens Water from Clare, MI arrived with our equipment. The technician was very professional and worked fast. He answered all my questions and went over routine maintenance of the softener, things to look out for, and basic troubleshooting steps to take if a problem came up.

The softener is working perfectly with significant improvement in our water quality. We use less detergent in our laundry washer, less soap & shampoo in the shower, no more mineral rings in our toilet bowls and iron deposits, no more residue on the shower heads, no more clogged aerators at the faucets, and no more mineral deposits on our dishes from the dishwasher.

The softener does not utilize electricity to operate and regenerate. This softener is a very high-end system I fully expect to give us many years of faithful, problem-free service. The Kinetico system's footprint is slightly larger than a comparable Culligan system or one of those softener systems you'll find in home supply stores but the Kinetico system is a well engineered, robust, and more efficient system with a larger softening capacity. The Kinetico has a built-in bypass that allows for uninterrupted water service during filter replacement and the regeneration cycle uses soft water to regenerate, keeping the ion exchange resin & filter media cleaner and on line longer. That's a big plus. The ion exchange tanks are constructed of non-corrosive materials with bond-strand resin shells.

This system came with a ten year warranty. The only issue is parts & supply availability. Proprietary filters and recommended salt are a little on the expensive side and not always available. "Sorry, we just sold our last one." "Sorry, the items you need are on backorder." "Sorry, the shipment has been delayed.". I live in a rural area and the nearest dealer is about 100 miles travel round trip so I like to keep a few extra essentials, like filters and salt, on hand at the house just in case something's unavailable when I need them. Overall, I'm extremely satisfied with our Kinetico water softening system and I heartily recommend Kinetico to anyone looking to improve their water quality.

Original review: July 25, 2021

I worked for the water plant at the time. I knew what was left in the water and I didn't wanna drink it. Because all the water plant does is take the dirt out of the water, and then chlorinate it to kill any bacteria. It doesn't take any of the dissolved stuff out of the water, chemicals and stuff like that. We live in Louisiana. We get our water from the Mississippi, which is the toilet bowl of America. Everybody and their cousin abuses the Mississippi River, so I didn't want it to be ingested in my family's bodies. And working for waterworks, I realized that. That's why I started selling Kinetico.

Setting up the system and installing it was easy outside. I was a little disappointed on the inside installation, going from under the counter to my refrigerator. The tech drilled holes through my cabinet and past the hose, the PVC tubing, too close to one of the drawers in the cabinet and it pinched it and it kept having leaks. I could hear the pressure tank filling up constantly and they couldn't figure out what was wrong. It wasn't until I remodeled my kitchen that I found it, and that upset me, that I had water damage from the installation.

But after I put in new cabinets and fixed the floors, I ran the PVC tubing through a conduit. That way, the tubing couldn't get damaged at the back of the cabinet. So, that was a plus. It was sort of an extra protection because anything in the cabinet could cut the tubing. And by putting it inside of a piece of conduit, PVC pipe, just something small enough to pass it through to give it extra protection, that I wouldn't have to replace floors again or cabinets.

Everybody in Louisiana that pulls water from the Mississipi ought to have something because there's just so much chemical dumps in the river. It's not healthy for the body. We use it for coffee and our sleep apnea machines. And there's never any build-up, crust or sediment inside the machines. I don't have scale build-up on it and that's nice. And when I order new filters, I usually get two, one to change at that time and one I can change later on. And that way, Kinetico doesn't have to come out and do it. Less hassle for them. You get two brain cells to rub together, it's not that hard to do it.

Original review: July 4, 2021

Kinetico has been great. But our first install guy was having a bad day, apparently. We didn't use it for almost a year and we kept having issues. Finally, they sent another technician out. They were able to go back ‘cause they wondered if we had messed with it. When I said, “we haven't touched it yet,” he was like, “Let me look at the install.” I had to take pictures of it when they installed it and he said, “Nope. He hooked it up backwards and hooked it up wrong when he installed it.” So, they were very great and said, “That's our bad. We'll give you a free set of filters and get it fixed right for you.” The under the sink one has been working fine since day one, but the whole home one that was in the closet was backward for the first year.

Out here where we're at in Central Texas and on well water, it's really rough, as far as hard water and all the deposits in it. So, it helps out quite a bit. It's going through a little more salt than I would assume most just because of where we are, but it's done great. We haven't had any issues with it since they came back and fixed it. I'd absolutely recommend Kinetico and especially, the local company we deal with out of Round Rock. I don't know how often we changed the filters on the under-sink one. I'm in there usually once every couple of months and they've been great. All of the installers, even the guy who hooked it up wrong when he first came out was super good to deal with. The system is also not overly expensive. It doesn't take a ton of maintenance. Overall, just a good experience.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2020

I had reviewed at least three systems and we had the demos performed at home. The main driver for landing on Kinetico would be three things. One is there is no requirement for electricity so it operates on its own. Two is the amount of water it takes to recycle itself is very small compared to other units. Three is the warranty. The others got five years limited warranty whereas Fred, the local franchise owner, told me that Kinetico carries about 10-year warranty which is something that was really enticing.

I got a concern about that warranty piece though. When they installed the under kitchen cabinet unit, it seems there was wrong installation so there was a break on the unit. It started dripping water. It took about a couple of years before the problem could surface. When we complained, they came and replaced the unit but I had to pay almost 300 bucks covering the labor cost. When they agreed that the installation itself was too tight that led to the breaking of the product, I don't know why I should be paying for the labor cost. If it is a product issue, I get it. But even if it is an installation issue, either Kinetico or the local franchise owner should have absorbed that because it's not my fault. They confirmed they didn't see any usage issue that led to the problem and they didn't see any manufacturing defect.

Kinetico could hold their local dealers accountable. I did reach out to Kinetico about this and they raised their hand saying that I needed to go talk to the local franchise. I went for this thinking that it's Kinetico that I trust more than the local franchise agents or the owners but that's where they let me down.

Hello Shree,

We thank you for appreciating the merits of the Kinetico product line. Here's wishing you many years of great water!

Kinetico Customer Support

Original review: Nov. 25, 2021

When we had our house rebuilt, a water purification system was put in but it was not softening the water. We ended up having to replace a hot water heater because of corrosion. We had it replaced so that we didn't have to replace water heaters anymore. Somebody recommended Kinetico to us. We definitely can tell the difference in the water. Sometimes, it tends to really go through a lot of salt pellets.

Hi Leeann,

We would love to say you will never have to replace your water heater again because of your Kinetico, but unfortunately; we cannot. There are many factors that tie in to the life of a water heater.

Please be certain to touch base with your area installer if you are concerned with your salt usage. Or even contact us and we can assist: customersupport@kinetico.com, 800.944.9283 option 2.

Kinetico Customer Support

Original review: Nov. 24, 2021

I’ve done business with Kinetico when we had another house and we got some filters from them for the water. This time around, we put a water softener in because we had hard water.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

There's a yearly maintenance to the Kinetico water system and and it only goes so many gallons then you have to have it serviced. The filters are also extremely expensive. They're over 100 bucks apiece. But the system is good and it filters very nicely. Plus, my water is fantastic and I love it.

Hi Scott,

Thanks for taking the time to write. Yes, the ro is designed to shut down after every 500 gallons of use. The purpose is to maintain the integrity and performance of the product by insuring timely filter changes. This helps to secure the life of the membrane, the workhorse of the unit.

While the investment and maintenance does have a higher cost, studies show that using bottled water can be as much as double the cost over the life span of the ro.

We are glad you recognize the value and are enjoying the water. Please feel free to connect with our support team any time at customersupport@kinetico.com

Kinetico Customer Support

Original review: Nov. 12, 2021

The installation of our Kinetico system was pretty seamless. I still have them come and maintain it. They have to come out and clean some filters every once in a while. The system works the way it’s advertised. It’s taken the calcification build up, and it's taken the chloramine that’s in our washer out of the system.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2021

Our next door neighbor had Kinetico, and she liked it. So, we gave it a try. We like it, too. We got the water softener and the installation was very easy. The installer explained its maintenance and how often we should put salt in. The system is exactly what the sales rep described. The water didn't taste good and showering wasn't good as well. With Kinetico, our water is softer. It tastes better. Normally, we’d have bottled water. But now, I don’t have any problem drinking right from the tap. I'm very satisfied.

Kinetico Company Information