4.5/5 (283 ratings)

About Kinetico

Founded in 1970, Kinetico produces efficient, built-to-last water softener and reverse osmosis systems for your home. Kinetico’s water treatment systems are non-electric, low-maintenance and fully automatic. Water treatment systems can extend the life of your plumbing, appliances and clothes as well as improve water taste and quality. The company offers three water softeners and water drinking filtration systems. Customers can find Kinetico water treatment systems through local specialist partners, but the company does not sell directly to consumers.

Pros

• Improves water taste and quality
  • Durable
  • Non-electric, powered by water
  • Three softener types

Cons

• Must buy from local partners
  • No upfront prices

Bottom Line

Kinetico produces non-electric water softeners and filtration systems built for efficiency and durability. The company sells three softener series that range from $500 to $5,000 and include warranties.

Top Kinetico Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I was convinced by my family member that Kinetico will be the best system to get. Setting up an appointment was fine and easy… I got a water filtration and softener product. The i...

Verified

The house that we bought already had the Kinetico softener system in it… The installation was excellent… After we replaced that tank, our well pump died. So we had them out there ...

How does a Kinetico water softener work?

Kinetico water softeners are salt-based and completely powered by moving water. These products help remove calcium and magnesium from your local tap water. Kinetico works with factory-certified, local specialists that offer consultation appointments and a free water test. These local dealers also handle the installation process.

Kinetico does not list prices on its website — you must contact a local retailer. The company sells three softeners: the Essential Series, Signature Series and Premium Series. The Signature and Premium series offer 24/7 soft water. Speak with your local specialist to determine the best softener for your home, budget and lifestyle.

Kinetico also sells water filtration systems, including reverse osmosis systems. These products are designed to ensure your water is safe to drink while removing bad smells and taste.

How much does a Kinetico water softener cost?

Kinetico offers three water softener series at three different price points, typically ranging from $500 to $5,000. The Essential Series is its most affordable model and offers limited water softening services. The Signature and Premium series offer 24/7 water softening and can handle harder water, higher capacity and other functions.

Exact prices are not available on the company’s website and are determined by local, third-party Kinetico dealers. Specialists offer in-home consultations and can provide a free water test to determine which water softener is right for your home and budget. Kinetico specialists are trained and perform installation services.

Kinetico FAQ

How long does a Kinetico water softener last?
Water softeners typically last between 10 and 15 years. Due to Kinetico’s higher quality, your water softener’s life span could extend to 20 or more years.
Do Kinetico water softeners need maintenance?
Kinetico water softeners are made to be low maintenance and use a non-electric design. Water softeners require new salt to be added periodically.
What kind of salt does the Kinetic water softener use?
Kinetico water softeners use evaporated salt, which can be bought in the form of pellets, cubes or blocks. Evaporated salt is the purest type of sodium chloride (table salt). Avoid using lesser-grade salts or rock salt because foreign particles can lead to maintenance and service issues.
Do Kinetico water softeners have a warranty?
Yes, Kinetico water softeners have product-specific warranties if they are installed by a Kinetico specialist. Warranties stay with the water softener and transfer to the next owner of your house.

Are Kinetico water softeners worth the money?

Kinetico water softeners are non-electric, built to last and made for efficiency. Kinetico softeners can use 70% less salt than other brands. The company partners with local specialists, which can make it difficult to determine the price of the softener and installation. If you’re looking for a high-quality, low-maintenance water softener or filtration system, however, Kinetico is a strong option.

Kinetico Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kinetico?

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

I was looking for a system that doesn't require a power outlet because I had to get it installed outdoor, next to my house, and didn’t have a power source. Kinetico was the only option that I found without a power source. Our water’s too hard and we have a tankless water heater. I read online saying that if you have a tankless one, it's best to have the water softener so it doesn't clog the little tubes inside the heater. It’s gonna make it last much longer. So, I feel the necessity of getting one and also reap the benefits of having one. I was debating about putting the one that was salt, and there are saltless ones. De Anza Water was close by, and their guy came over and gave me a lecture. It made me feel like he knows a lot of the industry, and he was very professional. He tested the water hardness for me, so I went with that company. Also, they are the one carrying Kinetico, so that makes sense.

De Anza was a lot more expensive than the other place sales like Costco and Lowe's, but I had to get one without power, so my option is limited. There were a lot of people asking for water softeners in different groups and I had recommended the company and the brand a couple times, but they always got back to me saying this is way more expensive than what they have otherwise quoted from what they found online from other brands. I like the system. It’s maintenance-free. I just wash the filter a few times over the years. But the pricing point is a little bit too high for other consumers that has the power outlet to choose from. Overall, for the quality of it, I’d definitely recommend Kinetico.

Get buying tips about Water Treatment Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 27, 2021

My wife and I needed a whole house water softener. We contacted Owens Water in Traverse City, MI after an exhaustive search. I've worked with softeners and demineralizers as a Marine Engineer. Tom ** came to our house and tested our water. No surprise that our water was hard and contained iron. Tom recommended the Kinetico 2060 non-electric softener. We ordered package #22 along with 2 extra filters and 3 extra 50lb bags of salt. 2 days later, Owens Water from Clare, MI arrived with our equipment. The technician was very professional and worked fast. He answered all my questions and went over routine maintenance of the softener, things to look out for, and basic troubleshooting steps to take if a problem came up.

The softener is working perfectly with significant improvement in our water quality. We use less detergent in our laundry washer, less soap & shampoo in the shower, no more mineral rings in our toilet bowls and iron deposits, no more residue on the shower heads, no more clogged aerators at the faucets, and no more mineral deposits on our dishes from the dishwasher.

The softener does not utilize electricity to operate and regenerate. This softener is a very high-end system I fully expect to give us many years of faithful, problem-free service. The Kinetico system's footprint is slightly larger than a comparable Culligan system or one of those softener systems you'll find in home supply stores but the Kinetico system is a well engineered, robust, and more efficient system with a larger softening capacity. The Kinetico has a built-in bypass that allows for uninterrupted water service during filter replacement and the regeneration cycle uses soft water to regenerate, keeping the ion exchange resin & filter media cleaner and on line longer. That's a big plus. The ion exchange tanks are constructed of non-corrosive materials with bond-strand resin shells.

This system came with a ten year warranty. The only issue is parts & supply availability. Proprietary filters and recommended salt are a little on the expensive side and not always available. "Sorry, we just sold our last one." "Sorry, the items you need are on backorder." "Sorry, the shipment has been delayed.". I live in a rural area and the nearest dealer is about 100 miles travel round trip so I like to keep a few extra essentials, like filters and salt, on hand at the house just in case something's unavailable when I need them. Overall, I'm extremely satisfied with our Kinetico water softening system and I heartily recommend Kinetico to anyone looking to improve their water quality.

Original review: July 26, 2021

The last system I had was eight years old when it broke on me. It was outside, and it was good, but in New Orleans, it froze that year really bad. Unfortunately, I neglected to cover it and let it freeze. I got the Premier from Kinetico, which is my fifth one and hopefully my last. I hate salespeople, but Kinetico's guy was really good. Also, the minute I knew my wife was pregnant, I got the best water system I could for the house. The Premier had a lot of good reviews. The mechanical sounded efficient to me, and I liked the fact that it's low maintenance compared to the four I had before. Some of the features include not needing an electrical connection, and it solved a big problem for me. The second biggest feature is the double tanks. I like that we are never ever going to be using water while it's going through a recycle.

I've been having water softeners for 30 years. It's better water all the way around. Anytime you can eliminate anything possibly that's coming through your city water system, why not? I quadruple filter any water I cook or drink with. My daughter just bought a house in Austin, and she's only been in it for two months and she's already, "Dad. What do I need to do? I've got to get a water softener in my house. My brand new shower stall and all my brand new faucets got this white crap on it." Yesterday, I went through all the literature and told her to get one of Kinetico's systems, and she's trying to buy one right now.

Original review: July 25, 2021

I worked for the water plant at the time. I knew what was left in the water and I didn't wanna drink it. Because all the water plant does is take the dirt out of the water, and then chlorinate it to kill any bacteria. It doesn't take any of the dissolved stuff out of the water, chemicals and stuff like that. We live in Louisiana. We get our water from the Mississippi, which is the toilet bowl of America. Everybody and their cousin abuses the Mississippi River, so I didn't want it to be ingested in my family's bodies. And working for waterworks, I realized that. That's why I started selling Kinetico.

Setting up the system and installing it was easy outside. I was a little disappointed on the inside installation, going from under the counter to my refrigerator. The tech drilled holes through my cabinet and past the hose, the PVC tubing, too close to one of the drawers in the cabinet and it pinched it and it kept having leaks. I could hear the pressure tank filling up constantly and they couldn't figure out what was wrong. It wasn't until I remodeled my kitchen that I found it, and that upset me, that I had water damage from the installation.

But after I put in new cabinets and fixed the floors, I ran the PVC tubing through a conduit. That way, the tubing couldn't get damaged at the back of the cabinet. So, that was a plus. It was sort of an extra protection because anything in the cabinet could cut the tubing. And by putting it inside of a piece of conduit, PVC pipe, just something small enough to pass it through to give it extra protection, that I wouldn't have to replace floors again or cabinets.

Everybody in Louisiana that pulls water from the Mississipi ought to have something because there's just so much chemical dumps in the river. It's not healthy for the body. We use it for coffee and our sleep apnea machines. And there's never any build-up, crust or sediment inside the machines. I don't have scale build-up on it and that's nice. And when I order new filters, I usually get two, one to change at that time and one I can change later on. And that way, Kinetico doesn't have to come out and do it. Less hassle for them. You get two brain cells to rub together, it's not that hard to do it.

Original review: July 4, 2021

Kinetico has been great. But our first install guy was having a bad day, apparently. We didn't use it for almost a year and we kept having issues. Finally, they sent another technician out. They were able to go back ‘cause they wondered if we had messed with it. When I said, “we haven't touched it yet,” he was like, “Let me look at the install.” I had to take pictures of it when they installed it and he said, “Nope. He hooked it up backwards and hooked it up wrong when he installed it.” So, they were very great and said, “That's our bad. We'll give you a free set of filters and get it fixed right for you.” The under the sink one has been working fine since day one, but the whole home one that was in the closet was backward for the first year.

Out here where we're at in Central Texas and on well water, it's really rough, as far as hard water and all the deposits in it. So, it helps out quite a bit. It's going through a little more salt than I would assume most just because of where we are, but it's done great. We haven't had any issues with it since they came back and fixed it. I'd absolutely recommend Kinetico and especially, the local company we deal with out of Round Rock. I don't know how often we changed the filters on the under-sink one. I'm in there usually once every couple of months and they've been great. All of the installers, even the guy who hooked it up wrong when he first came out was super good to deal with. The system is also not overly expensive. It doesn't take a ton of maintenance. Overall, just a good experience.

Original review: May 12, 2022

Dave, the salesman from Kinetico, took care of everything and did a wonderful job. We looked at another competitive product but we went with Dave primarily because we liked him. He was knowledgeable and understood our conditions, and he knew that he could fix them and laid it all out. He was very good at what he does. He was very optimistic and he was very much a "Let's make sure I can help you get it done" kind of guy. And we got it done. The installation went well and all the techs were always great. We did the kitchen filter and a unit down in the basement, which took them a couple of hours.

Original review: May 3, 2022

Kinetico softened my water. I’ve had their system for five years, and I maintain it once a year. Customer service seems fine, and I would tell people to strongly consider it. It’s expensive but worth the consideration.

Original review: May 2, 2022

Kinetico refuses to sell to the public in the US and the service companies charge anywhere from $150-$200 for a service call (at least in my area). Then on top of that my filters are another $300. The installer and salesperson will never tell you this. We are a family of 5, so we typically go through 500 gallons every 4 months. This system is costing me nearly $1500 a year to operate, I also have an r/O system in front of the K5, so I also have salt cost on top of this. I would never recommend a Kinetico system based on the operating cost alone. I will also say that the local installer for me also caused me more than a few issues. As soon as I have the money saved up I will rip this system out and replace it with another brand who does not use proprietary hardware.

Kinetico response

Hello Chris,

We checked with Infinity Water, your area Kinetico dealer. They confirmed with us that they have many customers that change their own filters. Most of their customers do have a technician walk them through the first filter change then continue on their own after.

You are correct that Kinetico Incorporated does not sell to the public. We are a manufacturing facility that does not have the resources available to include all the staffing and warehousing involved in Direct to Consumer sales.

We thank you for choosing Kinetico and hope that with some time, you recognize and appreciate the investment you have made in to your family's water.

Please feel free to reach out to Kinetico Customer Support any time at 800.944.9283 or customersupport@kinetico.com

Original review: May 2, 2022

I always had a water filtration system growing up. When we lived in apartments, we couldn't have them so my laundry and my body were just yucky. The water filtration system was one of the very first things we did when we bought our house. Not quite a year after we moved in, we got the reverse osmosis because we were doing a Britta thing and it was so dumb because it was like pour-it-and-fill-her thing then the next day, it was empty. We were spending a lot of money.

When my grandma moved up here from Southern Minnesota, I always heard her refer to Kinetico. I saw that it was family-owned and super close to our house. We called there and never had a problem. Their people were wonderful and super friendly. We were having issues with our softener and the salt wasn't going down. They came out that day to check it. In here, we installed a low pressure water showerhead and theirguys said, “Everything is looking good. It's just you're not using as much salt because you're not using as much water.”

We rent our water heater and reverse osmosis drinking water. It's nice to be able to turn on the drinking water faucet and not worry about filling the Britta and waiting a few minutes until a full glass of water drips down and is filtered. The reverse osmosis works differently and we liked the idea that it would remove more impurities with four filters instead of one little one. The water is really good. It’s just fresh and clean.

Original review: May 1, 2022

They recommended the iron filter to help alleviate iron in the water in our area. The product works great. Everybody that I've worked with was great. They're helpful, patient and they answered all my questions. Our water has been great.

Kinetico Company Information