Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.61/5

Founded in 1970, Kinetico produces efficient, built-to-last water softener and reverse osmosis systems for your home. Kinetico’s water treatment systems are non-electric, low-maintenance and fully automatic. Water treatment systems can extend the life of your plumbing, appliances and clothes as well as improve water taste and quality. The company offers three water softeners and water drinking filtration systems. Customers can find Kinetico water treatment systems through local specialist partners, but the company does not sell directly to consumers.

Kinetico Gallery (2)

BOTTOM LINE

Kinetico produces non-electric water softeners and filtration systems built for efficiency and durability. The company sells three softener series that range from $500 to $5,000 and include warranties.

PROS

• Improves water taste and quality
  • Durable
  • Non-electric, powered by water
  • Three softener types

CONS

• Must buy from local partners
  • No upfront prices

Top Kinetico Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kinetico?

I was convinced by my family member that Kinetico will be the best system to get. Setting up an appointment was fine and easy… I got a water filtration and softener product. The installation was great. The system was new to me as was the house. But it was a great experience.

The house that we bought already had the Kinetico softener system in it… The installation was excellent… After we replaced that tank, our well pump died. So we had them out there and they replaced the well pump. They're good contractors.

How does a Kinetico water softener work?

Kinetico water softeners are salt-based and completely powered by moving water. These products help remove calcium and magnesium from your local tap water. Kinetico works with factory-certified, local specialists that offer consultation appointments and a free water test. These local dealers also handle the installation process.

Kinetico does not list prices on its website — you must contact a local retailer. The company sells three softeners: the Essential Series, Signature Series and Premium Series. The Signature and Premium series offer 24/7 soft water. Speak with your local specialist to determine the best softener for your home, budget and lifestyle.

Kinetico also sells water filtration systems, including reverse osmosis systems. These products are designed to ensure your water is safe to drink while removing bad smells and taste.

How much does a Kinetico water softener cost?

Kinetico offers three water softener series at three different price points, typically ranging from $500 to $5,000. The Essential Series is its most affordable model and offers limited water softening services. The Signature and Premium series offer 24/7 water softening and can handle harder water, higher capacity and other functions.

Exact prices are not available on the company’s website and are determined by local, third-party Kinetico dealers. Specialists offer in-home consultations and can provide a free water test to determine which water softener is right for your home and budget. Kinetico specialists are trained and perform installation services.

Kinetico FAQ

How long does a Kinetico water softener last?
Water softeners typically last between 10 and 15 years. Due to Kinetico’s higher quality, your water softener’s life span could extend to 20 or more years.
Do Kinetico water softeners need maintenance?
Kinetico water softeners are made to be low maintenance and use a non-electric design. Water softeners require new salt to be added periodically.
What kind of salt does the Kinetic water softener use?
Kinetico water softeners use evaporated salt, which can be bought in the form of pellets, cubes or blocks. Evaporated salt is the purest type of sodium chloride (table salt). Avoid using lesser-grade salts or rock salt because foreign particles can lead to maintenance and service issues.
Do Kinetico water softeners have a warranty?
Yes, Kinetico water softeners have product-specific warranties if they are installed by a Kinetico specialist. Warranties stay with the water softener and transfer to the next owner of your house.

Are Kinetico water softeners worth the money?

Kinetico water softeners are non-electric, built to last and made for efficiency. Kinetico softeners can use 70% less salt than other brands. The company partners with local specialists, which can make it difficult to determine the price of the softener and installation. If you’re looking for a high-quality, low-maintenance water softener or filtration system, however, Kinetico is a strong option.

Kinetico Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kinetico?

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

I wanted a water softener but not some of the ones online that claim that they could run electricity through the wire and some magic would happen. The reviews that I read said that those were sketchy at best and showed that being electrical, they had a little CPU board and that board tended to be what would go out. Then, it was almost like buying a whole another unit just to replace that one board. Kinetico had a simple water softener system. People seemed to know what they were talking about when they came out here and aside from fitting into the space that I had, it didn't require any power, which was the main reason why I chose it.

Kinetico is all mechanical. It’s just how much water runs through the unit and it automatically does it. We had an incident in my city where the underground water was contaminated with PVCs. Kinetico was the only one who could filter that out. They had a reverse osmosis plus a special filter to filter those out, plus another filter to add back in some minerals. That convinced me because at that time, my grandchild was living with me. I have bottled water service deliver water for drinking but for all our cooking needs such as boiling spaghetti and making his milk, we use that water. We also use it for making espressos in the morning. The system is quiet and the installation was professional. So, I have no concerns or complaints about what they've done.

We’ve been using the water softener for closer to five years because at one time, I was renting it and then I decided to buy it. Then it has been at least two years with the reverse osmosis system with all these filters. I have not had to replace a filter yet. It's got a little indicator and then, I'm supposed to contact them and pay them $75 per filter. The last time I looked, it was only halfway to being time for it to replace its filters. I assume that one day, the unit will cease to work and then I'll have to contact Kinetico. They're expensive but they work. They do what they say and I have not had a single issue.

Get buying tips about Water Treatment Systems delivered to your inbox.

Resolution response: Nov. 17, 2020

Problem solved.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2020

We have a big environmental problem down here. For 30 years, the Air Force has been dumping their firefighting solution that they train with into the water system. A lot of people down here were catching cancer and different types of things. Pets were dying of cancer left and right. We were not to drink the water. If we did, we should get a reverse osmosis system. I went through the phone book and looked for a water system. I knew I didn't wanna go with Culligan so I was trying to find someone else to go with. I found Kinetico. I researched them online and they had some really good reviews.

Kinetico worked well. We had peace of mind knowing that we were not drinking something that was gonna cause us cancer. That was satisfying. Plus, our water tastes so bad that the reverse osmosis made it taste a lot better. The customer service was really good and I liked them. But we only had Kinetico for two years then we installed a different one. Kinetico is too expensive. It's okay for people that make 60,000 a year. But when you're living on social security, you can't afford the prices for the filters. It's $500 for them. After that first year, I was said that the next time the filters came, we would get them but we were gonna look at getting a system that didn't cost a lot and the yearly maintenance on it wouldn't be so pricey. Also, we couldn't rely on the guys that would come out to do the filters for Kinetico to be there the day or the time they said they would be.

Another thing is things didn't go as the rep told me. He told me one thing and the price was another thing. I was not told that I had to pay for this and this. The system ended up costing me a fortune. The water system I got now works just as good. When I changed over to this one, there wasn’t any change in the water flavor. I took a reading with the Kinetico system then when I put the new system in and the ratings were the same.

Pam,

Thanks for taking the time to provide this review.

We are glad to know that your water concerns have been resolved.

Kinetico Customer Support

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

From the online reviews, Kinetico seemed the better choice out of all the systems. Their salesperson came, explained the system, did some water tests, said, "These are the things that I would do for your system." He was very straightforward. I wanted additional testing done and they provided that additional testing. They let me know from the additional testing that I needed additional components as part of my system. They gave me pricing about the product.

The installation person was a one-person team. Very thorough, spent the entire day at my house and made sure that I was happy, walked me through everything he was going to do. Some of the best plumbing in my entire house was done by this gentleman. I had one concern or one question and he fully addressed it and made sure I was comfortable with the system before he left. So it was, overall, a great experience.

There was a whole house filter that they put in. I could definitely see that there's sediment coming in. I could see the filters being dirty. The water definitely tastes a lot better. The soap actually rinses out of our hair. The dishwasher works a lot more effectively because the water is softer. The pipes aren't rusting or corroding through because my acidity level on my water is now balanced. There are less maintenance overall and better water quality.

The one lesson I learned from this is to make sure that you get the most advanced water test you could possibly get. That way, you get all of the components installed when you need them. The filters are readily available. Even the salesperson and the maintenance person made sure to tell me that I could buy them through them or I could get them online and do my own maintenance on the system. I had radon in my water and they needed to put an additional component on my system to make sure that my family was not being subjected to radon in our water. Every year, I pay them to come out and maintain my system. It's a very small cost for a very large peace of mind. I've told a couple of people at work that bought new houses, "Don't buy anything else. Just get the Kinetico because it's basically the Cadillac of water systems."

Rob,

Thank you for sharing your Kinetico experience with us. We are happy to hear that you were pleased with the sales and installation process. If there is anything you need, please let us know. You can reach us at customersupport@kinetico.com or 800.944.9283.

Thanks again,

The Kinetico Team

Original review: July 4, 2020

I started out with a distributor out of Charlotte and I absolutely loved them. They were fabulous. I did not have to worry about anything. They tracked when they put the filters in, how long I was supposed to have them. They would send me an email, a text or card, all sorts of things, saying, "It's time to do this, this and this, and we will be there such and such to do it." They took care of the whole thing.

Then there was a change in the distributorship. Perhaps this territory was divided up. South Carolina was taken away from that gentleman, which was very sad to me. And then I had a heck of a time finding somebody to service me. I finally found somebody in Hilton Head, which is three hours from me. And then, we finally settled down and got a company here in Columbia called Meetze Plumbing. They're in Irmo, which is only a couple of miles down the road, and they've been pretty good. I had to show my honey and insist on one technician because there was one technician who is "The expert" and I flat out told him I don't want them to send anybody else to my house except him, and it has worked out great. He is wonderful and he did a very good job. This was done the year before the new system that we have now. It was two guys that came, and one of the them is the guy that I really like. He is a certified Kinetico installer.

The only thing is I have to track when it's time for my service. And what happened the last two times was I waited, not really knowing or either losing track, and I waited until the water got to the point where it wasn't producing anymore. So, when it gets to that point, you're basically out of water until the technician can get here and get everything repaired or changed. But other than that, I love the system and the taste of the water. The quality of the water is absolutely superb.

Original review: June 30, 2020

Our water system is working out pretty well. It's been in place for four years now since 2016. It's just the filters are kinda expensive. They're about $45 apiece. I ended up buying two. I'd like to be able to use those multiple times if that's possible. I get my water out of a lake because I don't have a city or a county water system. I use the Kinetico water system to filter and clean that water. Mine maybe gets a little more sediment and those kinds of things in it than a normal system. That's why those filters are so critical. If I could get them to where I could use them, clean them up real good and then put them back in, that would be a great advantage for me. It'd be cost-saving for me. I'm using a 5-micron filter right now.

Also, one of the issues I have is the filters that go in the system, which I change out on a periodic basis, are a little hard to clean sometimes. I've talked with the technician at Meetze Plumbing that handles our Kinetico system here in South Carolina and he gave me some cleaner to help with that. We really like Meetze Plumbing but they only have one technician that services the Kinetico systems and he's stretched pretty thin. He's pretty busy. I know who he is because he designed my system, originally, four years ago.

I like the Kinetico system. It's pretty easy to use and I can do the filter change-out myself. For the other parts, I usually call the technician to come in and do those because it's a little more advanced than I can do. I also like the quality of the system. The previous system that we had in place was installed by a pump company. It was in place for almost 15 years. I would like to think I would get that kind of lifespan on this Kinetico system. The technician said you may get six or seven years out of it, but we'll just have to see how that works.

I had a technician here this week and he updated or changed out the chemical pump. He's gonna come back next week and maybe take apart the filtration system itself and rebuild the two tanks that filter the water then it goes through the filter part again. He said he wanted to come and do some checks on those. It's kind of a maintenance thing. This is the first big maintenance we've had on that system in the four years it's been in place.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

Kinetico is great. They come out once a year and change the filter for me. The filter's really dark when they change it so it's doing what it's supposed to and seems to be doing it with less effort on my part. I have a hard water problem here and it wears on the faucets. They have to be replaced more often if you don't have something filtering the water. My hot water heater was also having to be replaced more often.

Hi Ruby,

Glad to hear your products and services are what we both expect!

Kinetico Customer Support

Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

Kinetico was great. The system was easy to use. The water was great too. It was nice and soft. I didn't have hard water.

Hi Abby,

Great news! Enjoy!

Kinetico Customer Support

Original review: Jan. 1, 2021

One of the representatives came out and gave us a demonstration. He went over all of the packages and equipment with us and informed us on the different systems that they had. I called him to come out here based on the referral from my friend. I'm in Tennessee and we have hard water here so I knew that I needed to do something to preserve my water fixtures. We have the softener and the filtration system from Kinetico and we don't get the white residue on the water fixtures anymore. The water is a lot softer too. It's better on your skin and hair. Also, we've been able to cut down on buying bottled water. I still call them every year to come out, change the filters and service the system for me, and they've been great to work with.

Hi Tracy,

We are happy to hear you enjoy your softener and it's performing as designed. You still buy bottled water!? There's a remedy to that through your Kinetico supplier.

Feel free to contact us directly at 800.944.9283 or customersupport@kinetico.com for more information on Banning the Bottle!

Kinetico Customer Support

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

I had just purchased my home and most definitely needed my water much softer than it was. It was almost like sand. There was a salesperson at Lowe's or a Home Depot and told me Kinetico has a water softening system. He talked me into it. I didn't feel like he took advantage of me but it seemed like there were things that I needed to know that I didn't know on the front end. Right after I got Kinetico, it most definitely made a difference. But the difference didn't last too long. When I set up with it, they were saying it's gonna do this and that. It was almost like I won't have to have to follow up for a couple of years. But when I met with the guy after I had it two years, he said I gotta replace some sort of filter. I was a little misled on what I needed to do as far as how often I've gotta purchase a filter.

Hi Tory,

We are sorry to read you feel mislead. Please feel free to contact Kinetico Customer Support at 800.944.9283 or customersupport@kinetico.com. We'll be happy to review your installation and fill in any backstory you may be missing.

Kinetico Customer Support

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

When I put Kinetico in at my other house, they told me they would move it at no charge but they charged me 700 or 800 bucks to move it. I had trouble with it at my other house before we moved it. It would turn the water off. We wouldn't have any water to our shower. Now, it is turned off 'cause it keeps malfunctioning. It was spewing water all over the floor where it is. I'm not dealing with these people anymore especially I couldn't tell any difference in my water.

Hi Tammy,

We have your contact information and will contact you to try to resolve these concerns.

Kinetico Company Information