4.61/5
Based on 389 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Ready to improve your life with better water? Kinetico has a solution for you. With a variety of water softeners, drinking water systems and specialty solutions from which to choose, there’s a perfect option to meet your family’s needs. Kinetico water systems provide the highest quality water for drinking and everyday use. Visit Kinetico.com today to get a quote or schedule your water test, and start living a well-hydrated life.

Kinetico Gallery (4)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

413 Kinetico Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 20, 2018

We are extremely pleased with the Kinetico water softener installed by Air and Water Quality Inc. in Freeport, ME. We had been having difficulty with hard water, so A & W sent a represent to evaluate our water. It was then that he discovered that our house water was hard and needed a water softener to solve the problem. The master plumber Mike ** impressed me with the installation. Within several days we noticed a difference in the water while showering.

Get expert buying tips about Water Treatment Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 20, 2018

A year after having the system installed there have been absolutely no issues with it. Works as advertised. The yearly maintenance fee was more than I expected. (Though they may have told me that it was going to be $366 annually when they installed it and I'm not remembering that now, a year later.)

Original review: June 20, 2018

Our softener and dechlorinator were installed in about 4 hours. We have been enjoying better tasting water, softer hair and skin and less build up on our faucets ever since then. Harold from Martin’s Water Conditioning did an absolute thorough job of explaining what the system was, how it works and the cost of each component. He the came back about 1.5 months after install to see how the system was working and how to maintain it by ourselves. I really appreciated it.

Original review: June 15, 2018

We had Kinetico water softener installed two years ago. My husband used the wrong salt so it was not operating properly for quite a while. Had Kinetico come to inspect and reset. Now the water and the ice cubes taste like the ocean! Rep came out and tested. Told me it was within proper levels but he would reset machine. Still tastes like salt water. Yuck! I am afraid to water my houseplants and am thinking about turning the entire machine off. Not happy.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Lowell ** was very professional. Our installation went great, he was kind, courteous and was able to make this change easy and a relief to my family. He then after installing it, did a great job of explaining how my water softener unit works and how to take care of it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kinetico?

Original review: June 11, 2018

I move around a lot and have purchased 3 systems from Kinetico. I was a big fan of the brand and quality of the water. I have never had a problem with a system in the past and would swear by their product. Unfortunately, I can no longer sing their praises. While on vacation a part failed and flooded our downtown condo. When we got home we called the local installer who came out and fixed the unit. Our floors and base trim were ruined. We filed a claim and they sent it off to Kinetico. After several months of not hearing anything I began to send email after email all with no response. I finally used LinkedIn to get the names of senior management and copied as many as possible on my emails.

I got a response the next day from a mediator telling me that he was trying to settle our dispute and that I had rejected the company's offer of $10,000.00. I explained that I had never received any offer and that he was in fact the first contact I have had with anyone. He was surprised by this, but then offered me $10,000.00 stating that it was as high as they were going to go. In my claim I had attached two different companies flooring quotes and both came in at over $13,000.00 and this didn’t include baseboards, mold mitigation and a bunch of other items. I explained that I didn’t want any extra money and that they could just pay exactly what contractors charged, and that I just wanted my house back to normal. I rejected the their offer.

They then "sent the part back to engineering for further review". They determined that I possibly broke the part because there is no way it waited two years to fail if it was defective. They since have denied entire claim. I am left with costly lawsuit option where I can’t recover legal fees even when I win due to the way the laws are, or have my own insurance fix up my place and hopefully recapture some of the money through litigation with them. Please find the attached denial letter. I am certain that nothing dropped on system, there is not enough clearance for something to drop or hit the top of this casing and it would show some kind of damage or mark should that have been the scenario. From the image one can also see that the system cannot fall over because it is nestled comfortably between cabinet wall and sink piping.

I have been a customer three separate times, in three separate states, I have spent thousands of dollars with them, I have given referral after referral and they could not have cared less about me as a customer. No one spoke to me from the company, nobody even offered a "no-fault" apology that this happened. The quality of the water is great, but if anything goes wrong you are on your own. Buy at your own risk.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 4, 2018

So, in 2004 I purchased the whole Kinetico system and amidst one hell of a sales job. From the many lies that were said from lifetime warranty on all parts and labor to which the only thing I would ever replace was the filters. NO SO. So, after many service calls and filter (nickel and dime you) I get, "Your water system is out of warranty and you need a new this and that and it will cost you $450.00 dollars." I have spent over 5k just getting the system and another 1k in friking parts. BAD PRODUCT to which I explain to the customer service person in SEVERN, MD 21144 that this is ridiculous. To which I was told “let me know if you want it and give us a call back”. I have invested $200 just last month in this garbage adding to my 6k in a sorry filtration system. Go sales job and standing by your product.

Hi Mark,

2004 installation of water softener and drinking water system w/Factory Limited Warranty of 10 years.
2018 first service call required for drinking water system. Service not yet provided

2004 - 2018 standard maintenance of filter replacement handled by customer. pricing in customer note does not align with dealer records.

Kinetico would love to provide a life time warranty with every product, unfortunately, being a mechanical product it will experience wear and tear. We are pleased with the 10 year Limited Warranty we provide as it is a leader in the water treatment industry. And are further pleased that your product has outlived this warranty by 4 years before needing any type of attention other than standard maintenance.

Feel free to let us know of any questions we can answer.www.kinetico.com

Original review: June 2, 2018

I wanted to know about the maintenance of the water softener and how much I gotta maintain it so I looked into it and since my wife had Kinetico before and she loved it, we did it again. They were out at Gaylord, Michigan when we requested the appointment and they were there at the certain time that we requested. They were gone in four hours. The salesperson was informative and knew the problem we had. He told us what we needed to resolve the problem and I did it. Since we’ve had it, the iron is completely low so the fixtures are all clean and I’m really happy with it.

Original review: June 2, 2018

We had a Kinetico water softener installed in the new house. It went seamlessly and their representatives were very professional. It has been a very good experience.

Original review: June 1, 2018

Love our Kinetico system so much that we had RJ and Derek from Aquarius Home Services come unhook our system and install a cheaper system so we could take it with us out of state to our next home. RJ and Derek were extremely courteous and professional from the moment they arrived at our home and took all the time we needed of them to explain what was happening. Great experience all around.

Hi Broc,

And they say you can't take it with you ... Thanks for your loyalty

Original review: June 1, 2018

When we first installed this system we were so amazed in the quality of our water. Our water is now crystal clear. We can now use the ice machine in freezer for ice cubes. All my clothes and especially the white ones come out clean and bright in color. Before they were always had a dingy white color to them. Before this system we always had to use a rust cleaner on our toilets and in washing machine there always a rust residue. I am actually saving money because I no longer have buy these products.

Great news Sherry!

Our goal is your experience.

Original review: June 1, 2018

We bought a new home and it has very hard water. Then, when I was in Home Depot, I saw Kinetico. We set up an appointment and that went smoothly and quickly. The guy came, tested the water and showed us some of their different water systems. Since I've heard good things about Kinetico, we made the decision to go with them and get the water softener that has two of the taller tanks. Their installer showed up on time and was pretty good. The water softener works great and has made a difference in our water. My aunt has one as well and she loves hers. Also not that long ago, I set up an appointment with Kinetico to come out here and do a filter, and the guy was awesome.

Original review: June 1, 2018

Due to residue build-up in utility items, I got a water softener from Kinetico. And since using their system, there’s no more residue. Their rep was fantastic and the installation was seamless. Everything’s been great.

Original review: May 31, 2018

We Love ours! We just add salt when needed. Change the filter twice a year and add resin clean twice a year. My bathroom is so much easier to clean! Dishes are easier to wash. When we take showers now we feel clean. I would definitely recommend a Kinetico softener!

Original review: May 31, 2018

We had the water tested before from a different local competitor and they said the water wasn't hard but for some reason, we were getting rust stains in the washing machine soap dispenser and in the shower. And so, we needed to get rid of that orange water. We got the water softener and the reverse osmosis water treatment from Kinetico and it was installed in one day. My husband was here and everything went smoothly. We were going to change the filters ourselves but my husband wanted to observe first so we had the reps come out a couple of times and they were very polite and efficient.

The drinking water has been commended on by family that came over. They noticed there was no cloudiness in the ice cubes anymore and they liked the drinking water better. Perhaps some minerals were flavoring the well water in certain ways that I got used to so when they removed it, it took me a little bit before I liked the water as much as they did. But I love the ice cubes and the fact that there's no more rust so we've been very happy. It’s a fairly new system for us and so far, we haven’t had any issues. This is a very expensive system but when I researched them, it's supposed to last for years without issues. And if you have problems that you want fixed and you have the money, this is the one to go with.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I had been renting a water softener from a local supplier and wasn't completely satisfied with it and I started researching it. I talked to a sales rep from Kinetico and everything went well except my understanding was I was getting a bigger unit than what they presented me with. I told them what I was looking for and what I wanted. Plus, I gave my referral from a friend of ours that added the system in. So, I was under the assumption I was getting the same system. When they came out and delivered it, it was a smaller unit and cost a lot more than what my friends paid. But they had their unit for six years and I went and thought that the price wouldn't go up that much.

I purchased the water softener system, inline water pre-filter and I’m renting the osmosis. Since then, everything seems to be working well and when we put the pre-filter in, it took a lot of the sediment out and that helped greatly. They told me the unit they put in was more than adequate for our need. It cycles a little bit more than what they were representing but that isn't a big deal. It doesn't make really that much noise unless you're in the same room that it is. Their people were courteous but when they came out to install, they had a trainee doing the installation. He messed up and forgot to connect a drain line. Luckily, I called them before they left the yard. Also, they had to put an additional faucet on the sink for the osmosis and within two weeks, that faucet fell apart. It wasn't installed properly and I wound up having to get underneath there and reinstall it. So, that wasn't a happy experience.

I'm overall satisfied with the equipment but not with the representation of it and the installation. You should make sure to understand exactly the unit you're getting and there are no surprises when they deliver it. You should understand the size and the capacity of it. If you don't think you're receiving what you paid for, it's gonna leave a bad taste in your mouth.

Jim,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. We've reached out to your installer with this feedback so that they can answer sizing and installation questions for you.

Original review: May 30, 2018

We researched 5 companies. We found Kinetico to be professional, honest with pricing (no hidden gimmicks), and reliable. Our representative followed up with a personal visit to ensure everything was working properly. The installer took time to go over every aspect of our system. We are extremely pleased with our system.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I was in Home Depot talking to some people and Kinetico had a representative there. It didn't take too long for them to come out here, then when they were here, they tested our water and recommended a system that would be the best one for what we needed. And since I had crappy well water, I purchased the Osmosis for drinking water. A few days later, their installers came out and set it up. It took them a couple of hours and they were good. I was down in the basement talking to them. Since the installation, the drinking water tastes very good and doesn't make me sick anymore. I'd recommend Kinetico.

Original review: May 30, 2018

The system I got was 15 years old. I was in need of an upgrade, so I started researching. A neighbor of mine told me that he had one from Kinetico. My parents had one, too and they liked it. I also liked the fact that I could continue to use my water while the system generates. So, I bought the water softener and the reverse osmosis from Kinetico. Setting up an appointment with their reps was good and they were right on time when they said they would be there. But the guy said that he would come back within a month and a half to recheck my water and I never got that follow-up visit.

The installers were pretty prompt as well. They ran my hoses to the refrigerator and to the sink up at the top. Everything went smooth. So far, I have Kinetico for eight months. I've replaced the filters, did the resin treatment, and added the salt. Since I got Kinetico, the water is much pure especially with that reverse osmosis. I actually use several items to have distilled water and now I've stopped using distilled water because the water is so pure.

Original review: May 29, 2018

Roger ** was very informative & polite. He did not waste our time & helped us make an educated decision. Mike was our install guy & he came on a Saturday & was here for 9 hours!! Never complained & worked very hard. He was also very nice & professional. We would definitely recommend Kinetico to other people. Very pleased. Water tastes great & I feel cleaner after showering.

Original review: May 29, 2018

When I bought the place, it had the Culligan and it just had one big tank for recirculating and the salt tank. The water was bad, then it’s okay, and then it’s bad, and finally, I said that I gotta do something with the water. I’ve seen the old water tank around and I went online, did a little research work and looked up Kinetico. Then the people we bought the house from built a new home down the Lakeway and he was perfectly satisfied with Kinetico so I called the company up and told them I want that system.

I bought it off their rep and he came to the house and went through the water testing. Then, he gave us recommendations on what we should buy. It was more money than I’d thought I’d spend but I did it and we’re not sorry. I got a softener, a salt tank, two big other things and an RO system from them. The main filter is easy to change and you need to keep it changed on a regular basis. I love it and the water is a little softer than I like it but that’s here nor there. I am nothing but thrilled with Kinetico.

Kinetico response

Great news, Don! Thanks for letting us know!

Original review: May 28, 2018

We live where Owen’s Water is and drive by it all the time. They put it in the $3200 Kinetico system which takes the hard water and converts it to where it doesn’t ruin your faucets, but I still drink bottled water. I stopped down there and said I didn’t want to afford it and somebody came from their office. It’s like a $40 fee and I said, "No. That’s all right." The system's all right but you gotta change the filters every so often and they’re $21.

The guy who tested it out when he was selling the different models that they put in and he said, “Well, you can drink it" but he said he didn’t recommend. If you compare it with bottled water the bottled water was pretty good. It’s just the inexpensive bottle water. It still passes that little test with his little kit that you test the house water with to compare the tap water with the bottled water. So, that’s what we drink anyways. You can buy their system if you wanna try to purify the water and drink it out of your tap. You’re just spending a lot more money.

Also, the guy that installed the system didn’t do a great job. I told him to put it here and he puts it in a different place, and then he had trouble drilling the drain line. It’s a clear plastic tube but basically like a hose and he had trouble trying to find a way to get it to go through the ceiling, and he was trying to drill a hole and he couldn’t get through with the drill and I was like, “That won’t ruin my house but…” And then he ended up not even using the drill hole, just going up through the ceiling across the hallway trying to put that stuff together. Wasn’t a real professional.

Kinetico response

Thanks for sharing David.

Please let us know if you have additional questions or comments. www.kinetico.com

Original review: May 28, 2018

At the one of our houses, the system was pretty old and started to smell. We bought a softener system and reverse osmosis from Kinetico and we liked them. We knew we wanted Kinetico again for our second house, so we also bought a softener for that one. Their reps were all very professional and the installation was quick. Since using Kinetico, there are less particles in the water and I don't see residues. There used to be residue in the toilets of one of our houses all the time when we go up there, but it's a lot less now.

Original review: May 27, 2018

We just moved into the house and we had hard water with lots of iron and calcium in it. We never really used the water since we knew that we were just gonna ruin the faucets. My plumber suggested Kinetico Water Systems. We got the softener from them and then we got the reverse osmosis connected to the sink. The installation went fine and we’ve been happy with Kinetico.

Original review: May 27, 2018

We got a water softener from Kinetico Water Systems and everything was fine from our interactions with the representatives to the installation. We were having a lot of rough bathroom areas but it's much clearer now since having the unit installed.

Original review: May 26, 2018

I live in the city of Clare and I got a lot of corrosion on my fixtures, my sink, and in my toilet. I also wanted soft water in my shower and Kinetico Water Systems was the only water softener group in the Clare County area, so I got a water softener and a reverse osmosis from them. The sales representative was fabulous. He did a great job of explaining the products and everything else. And the installation team also did a good job. I took advantage of Kinetico’s free water test and the result was not at all what I was expecting.

Unfortunately, it didn’t meet my needs after having it for a while. They put the smaller piping to it which they thought would be sufficient. After putting in the unit, it was found out to be that it was probably mis-scoped. The product wasn’t what I was expecting for a water flow. They had to come back in and put in the larger piping to it so that I could get the water flow that I had previous to putting the water system in. It was difficult for me because I got work on the road and it was difficult for me to take time off. Nonetheless, there have been differences in my water. Soft water is not corrosive to my fixtures and soft water in the shower is the better shower experience. Also, with reverse osmosis, the water tastes different.

Hi Cheryl,

Thanks for letting us know of your experience. Feel free to keep us posted of any additional questions or comments. www.kinetico.com

Original review: May 26, 2018

I had a bit of lime in my water and it kept clogging up my showers. Since I used to have Kinetico, I didn't do any further research and got a full house water softener system from them. I went online and a supplier got back to me. The rep who came out was knowledgeable and a really good guy and the installers were quick. I had them put the system in a spot where it worked out best for me and it was a little harder for them to do, but they did it with no problem and no complaining. We noticed the softness of the water right away but it took a month to notice the difference. Now, all the pipes are clean and the shower is not clogging up anymore. I've recommended Kinetico to other people. I had Culligan before in a rental house of mine but Kinetico's unit is way better.

Original review: May 25, 2018

We’ve had the Kinetico system for 35 years or so in two different houses and eight years ago, we purchased a new softener system. Once we got past the significant initial cost, we were quite satisfied with the product. I've found that it uses very little salt so it's efficient.

Kinetico response

Here's hoping for another 35 years of great service from Kinetico to you!

Original review: May 25, 2018

We needed to replace the system that was in the house that we bought last year. We wanted a new one and Kinetico was referred to us by the agent who found us the house. I called the number she gave us and set-up an appointment. That was easy then our interaction with the representative was clear. He gave us the information and provided us with some brochures that will describe the product they had. It was very informative and helpful to make the decision.

We got Kinetico's water softener and water filter, and the installation was smooth. The test has revealed that all the problems we had before are not there anymore so we feel good about their product. It has also been a very reliable system and I haven't had any problems at any point in time. It's easy to drink now because we know that the water is filtered and it doesn't have any of the stuff that it had before installing the equipment. We were satisfied with our experience with Kinetico and when I got a call from somebody who wanted to purchase the product as well, I recommended it. It's not a cheap option but we think it's worth it.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 24, 2018

The quality of my Premier S150 softener and and K-5 RO equipment is very good and it should be for the nearly $4700 initial cost. My biggest grip is that the maintenance costs are too high! In my four years of ownership I have spent nearly $1000 on filter cartridges, salt, resin cleaner and service visits to sanitize my drinking water system. I'm a do-it-yourself sort of guy and when I asked my distributor about getting a sanitizing kit so I could do it myself, I was told that they didn't know anything about it and that they recommended I have their service people do it any way. I don't mind paying for high quality equipment but I don't like having to pay so much to maintain the systems. as an example, the Duracube salt I buy from Kinetico is nearly double the cost of other brands. Is it really that much better? If I had to do it over again, I would probably explore other options.

Hi David,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm sending owner's manuals via email to you that should assist. Please let us know if you have additional questions or comments.

Kinetico expert review by Greg Chick

Kinetico Water Systems offers water softeners and reverse osmosis systems for your home. Kinetico was among the first companies to offer nonelectric, fully automatic water treatment systems. Kinetico’s systems are powered by moving water, which keeps your cost down for operation and repairs.

• Nonelectric systems: Kinetico’s water treatment systems do not run on electricity. They use the movement of the water they contain to power their own filtration systems. This process keeps operation and repair costs low.

• Free water testing and quotes: If you’re not sure if you need water treatment, you can schedule a free water test with Kinetico’s experts. You can also receive free quotes on any system you need.

• Water softeners: Kinetico has several different options for water softeners. From compact, simple systems to full systems for hard water.

• Drinking water filters: Kinetico has several different options for drinking water filtration. You can purchase a full filtration system or a smaller filtration tap.

• Specialty solutions: Kinetico also sells several different specialty solutions for water that needs filtering. Aerators and dechlorinators are available to help remove chemicals and minerals from your water systems.

• Best for: people interested in a nonelectric filtration system.

Profile picture of Greg Chick
Greg Chick

Water Treatment Systems Contributing Editor

Greg Chick has worked as an entrepreneur for over 40 years with a background in plumbing, irrigation, pools and water heating. He is a member of Green Plumbers USA, International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials and American Society of Plumbing Engineers. Greg works to educate residential consumers about quality plumbing products.

Kinetico Company Information