Accredited Partner

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.60/5
Get Started

Founded in 1970, Kinetico produces efficient, built-to-last water softener and reverse osmosis systems for your home. Kinetico’s water treatment systems are non-electric, low-maintenance and fully automatic. Water treatment systems can extend the life of your plumbing, appliances and clothes as well as improve water taste and quality. The company offers three water softeners and water drinking filtration systems. Customers can find Kinetico water treatment systems through local specialist partners, but the company does not sell directly to consumers.

Kinetico Gallery (2)

BOTTOM LINE

Kinetico produces non-electric water softeners and filtration systems built for efficiency and durability. The company sells three softener series that range from $500 to $5,000 and include warranties.

PROS

• Improves water taste and quality
  • Durable
  • Non-electric, powered by water
  • Three softener types

CONS

• Must buy from local partners
  • No upfront prices

Top Kinetico Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kinetico?

I was convinced by my family member that Kinetico will be the best system to get. Setting up an appointment was fine and easy… I got a water filtration and softener product. The installation was great. The system was new to me as was the house. But it was a great experience.

The house that we bought already had the Kinetico softener system in it… The installation was excellent… After we replaced that tank, our well pump died. So we had them out there and they replaced the well pump. They're good contractors.

How does a Kinetico water softener work?

Kinetico water softeners are salt-based and completely powered by moving water. These products help remove calcium and magnesium from your local tap water. Kinetico works with factory-certified, local specialists that offer consultation appointments and a free water test. These local dealers also handle the installation process.

Kinetico does not list prices on its website — you must contact a local retailer. The company sells three softeners: the Essential Series, Signature Series and Premium Series. The Signature and Premium series offer 24/7 soft water. Speak with your local specialist to determine the best softener for your home, budget and lifestyle.

Kinetico also sells water filtration systems, including reverse osmosis systems. These products are designed to ensure your water is safe to drink while removing bad smells and taste.

How much does a Kinetico water softener cost?

Kinetico offers three water softener series at three different price points, typically ranging from $500 to $5,000. The Essential Series is its most affordable model and offers limited water softening services. The Signature and Premium series offer 24/7 water softening and can handle harder water, higher capacity and other functions.

Exact prices are not available on the company’s website and are determined by local, third-party Kinetico dealers. Specialists offer in-home consultations and can provide a free water test to determine which water softener is right for your home and budget. Kinetico specialists are trained and perform installation services.

Kinetico FAQ

How long does a Kinetico water softener last?
Water softeners typically last between 10 and 15 years. Due to Kinetico’s higher quality, your water softener’s life span could extend to 20 or more years.
Do Kinetico water softeners need maintenance?
Kinetico water softeners are made to be low maintenance and use a non-electric design. Water softeners require new salt to be added periodically.
What kind of salt does the Kinetic water softener use?
Kinetico water softeners use evaporated salt, which can be bought in the form of pellets, cubes or blocks. Evaporated salt is the purest type of sodium chloride (table salt). Avoid using lesser-grade salts or rock salt because foreign particles can lead to maintenance and service issues.
Do Kinetico water softeners have a warranty?
Yes, Kinetico water softeners have product-specific warranties if they are installed by a Kinetico specialist. Warranties stay with the water softener and transfer to the next owner of your house.

Are Kinetico water softeners worth the money?

Kinetico water softeners are non-electric, built to last and made for efficiency. Kinetico softeners can use 70% less salt than other brands. The company partners with local specialists, which can make it difficult to determine the price of the softener and installation. If you’re looking for a high-quality, low-maintenance water softener or filtration system, however, Kinetico is a strong option.

Kinetico Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kinetico?

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

I wanted a water softener but not some of the ones online that claim that they could run electricity through the wire and some magic would happen. The reviews that I read said that those were sketchy at best and showed that being electrical, they had a little CPU board and that board tended to be what would go out. Then, it was almost like buying a whole another unit just to replace that one board. Kinetico had a simple water softener system. People seemed to know what they were talking about when they came out here and aside from fitting into the space that I had, it didn't require any power, which was the main reason why I chose it.

Kinetico is all mechanical. It’s just how much water runs through the unit and it automatically does it. We had an incident in my city where the underground water was contaminated with PVCs. Kinetico was the only one who could filter that out. They had a reverse osmosis plus a special filter to filter those out, plus another filter to add back in some minerals. That convinced me because at that time, my grandchild was living with me. I have bottled water service deliver water for drinking but for all our cooking needs such as boiling spaghetti and making his milk, we use that water. We also use it for making espressos in the morning. The system is quiet and the installation was professional. So, I have no concerns or complaints about what they've done.

We’ve been using the water softener for closer to five years because at one time, I was renting it and then I decided to buy it. Then it has been at least two years with the reverse osmosis system with all these filters. I have not had to replace a filter yet. It's got a little indicator and then, I'm supposed to contact them and pay them $75 per filter. The last time I looked, it was only halfway to being time for it to replace its filters. I assume that one day, the unit will cease to work and then I'll have to contact Kinetico. They're expensive but they work. They do what they say and I have not had a single issue.

Get buying tips about Water Treatment Systems delivered to your inbox.

Resolution response: Nov. 17, 2020

Problem solved.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2020

We have a big environmental problem down here. For 30 years, the Air Force has been dumping their firefighting solution that they train with into the water system. A lot of people down here were catching cancer and different types of things. Pets were dying of cancer left and right. We were not to drink the water. If we did, we should get a reverse osmosis system. I went through the phone book and looked for a water system. I knew I didn't wanna go with Culligan so I was trying to find someone else to go with. I found Kinetico. I researched them online and they had some really good reviews.

Kinetico worked well. We had peace of mind knowing that we were not drinking something that was gonna cause us cancer. That was satisfying. Plus, our water tastes so bad that the reverse osmosis made it taste a lot better. The customer service was really good and I liked them. But we only had Kinetico for two years then we installed a different one. Kinetico is too expensive. It's okay for people that make 60,000 a year. But when you're living on social security, you can't afford the prices for the filters. It's $500 for them. After that first year, I was said that the next time the filters came, we would get them but we were gonna look at getting a system that didn't cost a lot and the yearly maintenance on it wouldn't be so pricey. Also, we couldn't rely on the guys that would come out to do the filters for Kinetico to be there the day or the time they said they would be.

Another thing is things didn't go as the rep told me. He told me one thing and the price was another thing. I was not told that I had to pay for this and this. The system ended up costing me a fortune. The water system I got now works just as good. When I changed over to this one, there wasn’t any change in the water flavor. I took a reading with the Kinetico system then when I put the new system in and the ratings were the same.

Pam,

Thanks for taking the time to provide this review.

We are glad to know that your water concerns have been resolved.

Kinetico Customer Support

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

From the online reviews, Kinetico seemed the better choice out of all the systems. Their salesperson came, explained the system, did some water tests, said, "These are the things that I would do for your system." He was very straightforward. I wanted additional testing done and they provided that additional testing. They let me know from the additional testing that I needed additional components as part of my system. They gave me pricing about the product.

The installation person was a one-person team. Very thorough, spent the entire day at my house and made sure that I was happy, walked me through everything he was going to do. Some of the best plumbing in my entire house was done by this gentleman. I had one concern or one question and he fully addressed it and made sure I was comfortable with the system before he left. So it was, overall, a great experience.

There was a whole house filter that they put in. I could definitely see that there's sediment coming in. I could see the filters being dirty. The water definitely tastes a lot better. The soap actually rinses out of our hair. The dishwasher works a lot more effectively because the water is softer. The pipes aren't rusting or corroding through because my acidity level on my water is now balanced. There are less maintenance overall and better water quality.

The one lesson I learned from this is to make sure that you get the most advanced water test you could possibly get. That way, you get all of the components installed when you need them. The filters are readily available. Even the salesperson and the maintenance person made sure to tell me that I could buy them through them or I could get them online and do my own maintenance on the system. I had radon in my water and they needed to put an additional component on my system to make sure that my family was not being subjected to radon in our water. Every year, I pay them to come out and maintain my system. It's a very small cost for a very large peace of mind. I've told a couple of people at work that bought new houses, "Don't buy anything else. Just get the Kinetico because it's basically the Cadillac of water systems."

Rob,

Thank you for sharing your Kinetico experience with us. We are happy to hear that you were pleased with the sales and installation process. If there is anything you need, please let us know. You can reach us at customersupport@kinetico.com or 800.944.9283.

Thanks again,

The Kinetico Team

Original review: June 30, 2020

Our water system is working out pretty well. It's been in place for four years now since 2016. It's just the filters are kinda expensive. They're about $45 apiece. I ended up buying two. I'd like to be able to use those multiple times if that's possible. I get my water out of a lake because I don't have a city or a county water system. I use the Kinetico water system to filter and clean that water. Mine maybe gets a little more sediment and those kinds of things in it than a normal system. That's why those filters are so critical. If I could get them to where I could use them, clean them up real good and then put them back in, that would be a great advantage for me. It'd be cost-saving for me. I'm using a 5-micron filter right now.

Also, one of the issues I have is the filters that go in the system, which I change out on a periodic basis, are a little hard to clean sometimes. I've talked with the technician at Meetze Plumbing that handles our Kinetico system here in South Carolina and he gave me some cleaner to help with that. We really like Meetze Plumbing but they only have one technician that services the Kinetico systems and he's stretched pretty thin. He's pretty busy. I know who he is because he designed my system, originally, four years ago.

I like the Kinetico system. It's pretty easy to use and I can do the filter change-out myself. For the other parts, I usually call the technician to come in and do those because it's a little more advanced than I can do. I also like the quality of the system. The previous system that we had in place was installed by a pump company. It was in place for almost 15 years. I would like to think I would get that kind of lifespan on this Kinetico system. The technician said you may get six or seven years out of it, but we'll just have to see how that works.

I had a technician here this week and he updated or changed out the chemical pump. He's gonna come back next week and maybe take apart the filtration system itself and rebuild the two tanks that filter the water then it goes through the filter part again. He said he wanted to come and do some checks on those. It's kind of a maintenance thing. This is the first big maintenance we've had on that system in the four years it's been in place.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

I've had experience with Kinetico for six years. I used them previously when I lived in a different house and then, we bought it last year. We have the water softener and the reverse osmosis. I didn't have the reverse osmosis before. I just got it in our house now. We were having hard water. Also, one of our friends always carries bottled water. She wouldn't drink any town water. So I thought, I would just go ahead and get that reverse osmosis, which actually turned out good because when we had flooding in the area this summer, the nitrate count was too high and you had to boil your water. But I didn't have to boil our water because it filters all of it. The reverse osmosis worked out great for us.

I was just amazed. I thought, "Wow. I can't believe I spent the extra money and it was really worth it." And then, I didn't have to spend the extra money to buy water. The town also supplies water to people, and it was a pain in the butt because I'm the manager of the KCs and if you wash your dishes, you have to boil the water. It was an extra chore.

It's all been great because otherwise, I would not have went back a second time. There was another water system in the area which was Culligan. I called them, left a message, never got a call back. I waited two weeks, I called again, never got a call back. The lady there said, "Well, I just take a message. If he doesn't call you..." That was not her fault. I understand. And I thought, I had money to spend. It was not like everyday somebody puts a water softener in. They never called me back. And I thought, if they can't even call me, just forget it. And with Culligan, you have to set a timer for it to soften the water or to run. With the Kinetico, you will have softened water 24/7, 365 days a year. You do not put on a timer. There are two bottles and when one bottle runs out, you start running on the other. Before you get to the bottom of that bottle, the other bottle is ready to go.

When they came and talked to me about it the very first time, I knew nothing. I had some idea about a water softener, but I didn't have the full spectrum of it, and they were very explanatory in everything. I was just amazed at their system and that you didn't have to set it on a timer or anything like that which I thought really made sense because otherwise, you'd set it at 2:00 in the morning when you're not using it. They've been great. We have recommended Kinetico to our friends who live on a farm and they have very hard water.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

I had hard water. I wanted to look at something. I found out that Kinetico was gravity-driven and non-electric. It had come with high reviews too. The representatives from Kinetico are from the local area. They did a nice job. I have had to replace, unfortunately, just right at the time of past warranty. So, I'm Kind of disappointed in that but I did stay with the product. We purchased a new one. Since the installation, the major appliances, the dishwasher, and the washing machine do not get clogged up nor do the showers. That's a huge thing. We have softer water. Kinetico is a very good product. They are expensive, but you get what you pay for. It works very well.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2020

I live in Colorado and the water is good but Jim, my ex-husband’s father and the original co-founder of Kinetico, said that I could still get some more stuff out of it. The salesperson, Asta, was sweet, very pleasant and informative. She came out and tested the water. It was an easy sale because I already knew what I wanted. I got the whole water filtration system. The installer came out and the installation was super fast. He was great and he knew what he was doing. Asta wanted to make sure everything was fine after it was installed and the only thing I had to learn was replacing the filters.

I was probably told in the beginning but I didn't realize there are certain filters that can stay in there for five years and there are those that need to be replaced every year. So, it was trial and error on that part. I would recommend that Kinetico make sure that people understand that and have a record of it. My kids love the water since we bought the system and I would highly recommend Kinetico. The product is great and the experience was pleasant and efficient. If they had a system down, the salesperson would come out and then a technician, and then a salesperson would follow up. Everyone was nice. It’s way better than buying a car.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2020

Before we bought the condo, there was no water softener in it and Commerce City water was notably bad. The water had a horrible taste. We had Kinetico install a reverse-osmosis and there has been a huge improvement with the water since then. We annually have the system checked and once a month, we add a little salt. The experience has been very good so far and we are we are totally satisfied with Kinetico.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
    Original review: Nov. 9, 2020

When I first contacted Kinetico for a filter system, they put in one that was way too small for my house. We lived with that for about two years. I had their people come out and check my filters and do everything. %hey had come out twice prior and they never said anything. Then a new guy came out and asked if it was all that I had. I said yes and he said that it wasn't enough for the size of my almost 4,000 square-foot house. And I paid $2,800 for it. He bet that I was still having hard water and seeing calcium. I told him that I still did because I replaced the faucet and I saw it.

Kinetico ended up bringing a sales guy back out and they ended up upgrading it to a system. It was nice that they upgraded my system and gave me the full credit for what I paid for on the old system. But how many of my piping, my tubing, and my faucets have been ruined? How much of that shortened the plumbing life of my house? But, that was my complaint with them. The Kinetico service techs charge $250 to come out, change the filters, and do whatever they do. It's a little bit high. It's sad that if you're a customer of theirs that they charge that much to come out and do a service. My husband has now told me that I'm not to have them come out and do it. We will order the filters online and he will do it.

Hi Luann,

Thanks for taking the time to write your review.

We are sorry to hear you have concerns regarding your experience with your independent, authorized dealer. We sent a private message to you as well. We are happy to review your concerns with your dealer should you wish. Please advise.

Please let us know if you have concerns with the performance of the product. We trust that you have been satisfied as there does not appear to be any calls for service regarding it's performance in the 4 years of ownership. Do not hesitate to contact us at customersupport@kinetico.com or 800.944.9283

Kinetico Customer Support

Original review: Nov. 8, 2020

We've had the Kinetico soft water system and the water purification system for quite a while. When we moved from the community that we were living in before, Kinetico stored our system for so many months and then they installed it in our new house too. We were concerned with the hard water we have in this area and some of the chemicals and stuff that are put into the water to keep it safe and the transportation to get it to our house. But they figured out how to get it placed into our new home. They got it up and running and everything was great. I’m very satisfied with what they did. Their product is really good and our water tastes really good.

Kinetico Company Information