Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.62/5

Founded in 1970, Kinetico produces efficient, built-to-last water softener and reverse osmosis systems for your home. Kinetico’s water treatment systems are non-electric, low-maintenance and fully automatic. Water treatment systems can extend the life of your plumbing, appliances and clothes as well as improve water taste and quality. The company offers three water softeners and water drinking filtration systems. Customers can find Kinetico water treatment systems through local specialist partners, but the company does not sell directly to consumers.

Kinetico Gallery (2)

BOTTOM LINE

Kinetico produces non-electric water softeners and filtration systems built for efficiency and durability. The company sells three softener series that range from $500 to $5,000 and include warranties.

PROS

• Improves water taste and quality
  • Durable
  • Non-electric, powered by water
  • Three softener types

CONS

• Must buy from local partners
  • No upfront prices

Top Kinetico Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kinetico?

I was convinced by my family member that Kinetico will be the best system to get. Setting up an appointment was fine and easy… I got a water filtration and softener product. The installation was great. The system was new to me as was the house. But it was a great experience.

The house that we bought already had the Kinetico softener system in it… The installation was excellent… After we replaced that tank, our well pump died. So we had them out there and they replaced the well pump. They're good contractors.

How does a Kinetico water softener work?

Kinetico water softeners are salt-based and completely powered by moving water. These products help remove calcium and magnesium from your local tap water. Kinetico works with factory-certified, local specialists that offer consultation appointments and a free water test. These local dealers also handle the installation process.

Kinetico does not list prices on its website — you must contact a local retailer. The company sells three softeners: the Essential Series, Signature Series and Premium Series. The Signature and Premium series offer 24/7 soft water. Speak with your local specialist to determine the best softener for your home, budget and lifestyle.

Kinetico also sells water filtration systems, including reverse osmosis systems. These products are designed to ensure your water is safe to drink while removing bad smells and taste.

How much does a Kinetico water softener cost?

Kinetico offers three water softener series at three different price points, typically ranging from $500 to $5,000. The Essential Series is its most affordable model and offers limited water softening services. The Signature and Premium series offer 24/7 water softening and can handle harder water, higher capacity and other functions.

Exact prices are not available on the company’s website and are determined by local, third-party Kinetico dealers. Specialists offer in-home consultations and can provide a free water test to determine which water softener is right for your home and budget. Kinetico specialists are trained and perform installation services.

Kinetico FAQ

How long does a Kinetico water softener last?
Water softeners typically last between 10 and 15 years. Due to Kinetico’s higher quality, your water softener’s life span could extend to 20 or more years.
Do Kinetico water softeners need maintenance?
Kinetico water softeners are made to be low maintenance and use a non-electric design. Water softeners require new salt to be added periodically.
What kind of salt does the Kinetic water softener use?
Kinetico water softeners use evaporated salt, which can be bought in the form of pellets, cubes or blocks. Evaporated salt is the purest type of sodium chloride (table salt). Avoid using lesser-grade salts or rock salt because foreign particles can lead to maintenance and service issues.
Do Kinetico water softeners have a warranty?
Yes, Kinetico water softeners have product-specific warranties if they are installed by a Kinetico specialist. Warranties stay with the water softener and transfer to the next owner of your house.

Are Kinetico water softeners worth the money?

Kinetico water softeners are non-electric, built to last and made for efficiency. Kinetico softeners can use 70% less salt than other brands. The company partners with local specialists, which can make it difficult to determine the price of the softener and installation. If you’re looking for a high-quality, low-maintenance water softener or filtration system, however, Kinetico is a strong option.

Kinetico Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kinetico?

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

From the online reviews, Kinetico seemed the better choice out of all the systems. Their salesperson came, explained the system, did some water tests, said, "These are the things that I would do for your system." He was very straightforward. I wanted additional testing done and they provided that additional testing. They let me know from the additional testing that I needed additional components as part of my system. They gave me pricing about the product.

The installation person was a one-person team. Very thorough, spent the entire day at my house and made sure that I was happy, walked me through everything he was going to do. Some of the best plumbing in my entire house was done by this gentleman. I had one concern or one question and he fully addressed it and made sure I was comfortable with the system before he left. So it was, overall, a great experience.

There was a whole house filter that they put in. I could definitely see that there's sediment coming in. I could see the filters being dirty. The water definitely tastes a lot better. The soap actually rinses out of our hair. The dishwasher works a lot more effectively because the water is softer. The pipes aren't rusting or corroding through because my acidity level on my water is now balanced. There are less maintenance overall and better water quality.

The one lesson I learned from this is to make sure that you get the most advanced water test you could possibly get. That way, you get all of the components installed when you need them. The filters are readily available. Even the salesperson and the maintenance person made sure to tell me that I could buy them through them or I could get them online and do my own maintenance on the system. I had radon in my water and they needed to put an additional component on my system to make sure that my family was not being subjected to radon in our water. Every year, I pay them to come out and maintain my system. It's a very small cost for a very large peace of mind. I've told a couple of people at work that bought new houses, "Don't buy anything else. Just get the Kinetico because it's basically the Cadillac of water systems."

Kinetico response

Rob,

Thank you for sharing your Kinetico experience with us. We are happy to hear that you were pleased with the sales and installation process. If there is anything you need, please let us know. You can reach us at customersupport@kinetico.com or 800.944.9283.

Thanks again,

The Kinetico Team

Get buying tips about Water Treatment Systems delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: July 4, 2020

I started out with a distributor out of Charlotte and I absolutely loved them. They were fabulous. I did not have to worry about anything. They tracked when they put the filters in, how long I was supposed to have them. They would send me an email, a text or card, all sorts of things, saying, "It's time to do this, this and this, and we will be there such and such to do it." They took care of the whole thing.

Then there was a change in the distributorship. Perhaps this territory was divided up. South Carolina was taken away from that gentleman, which was very sad to me. And then I had a heck of a time finding somebody to service me. I finally found somebody in Hilton Head, which is three hours from me. And then, we finally settled down and got a company here in Columbia called Meetze Plumbing. They're in Irmo, which is only a couple of miles down the road, and they've been pretty good. I had to show my honey and insist on one technician because there was one technician who is "The expert" and I flat out told him I don't want them to send anybody else to my house except him, and it has worked out great. He is wonderful and he did a very good job. This was done the year before the new system that we have now. It was two guys that came, and one of the them is the guy that I really like. He is a certified Kinetico installer.

The only thing is I have to track when it's time for my service. And what happened the last two times was I waited, not really knowing or either losing track, and I waited until the water got to the point where it wasn't producing anymore. So, when it gets to that point, you're basically out of water until the technician can get here and get everything repaired or changed. But other than that, I love the system and the taste of the water. The quality of the water is absolutely superb.

Original review: June 30, 2020

Our water system is working out pretty well. It's been in place for four years now since 2016. It's just the filters are kinda expensive. They're about $45 apiece. I ended up buying two. I'd like to be able to use those multiple times if that's possible. I get my water out of a lake because I don't have a city or a county water system. I use the Kinetico water system to filter and clean that water. Mine maybe gets a little more sediment and those kinds of things in it than a normal system. That's why those filters are so critical. If I could get them to where I could use them, clean them up real good and then put them back in, that would be a great advantage for me. It'd be cost-saving for me. I'm using a 5-micron filter right now.

Also, one of the issues I have is the filters that go in the system, which I change out on a periodic basis, are a little hard to clean sometimes. I've talked with the technician at Meetze Plumbing that handles our Kinetico system here in South Carolina and he gave me some cleaner to help with that. We really like Meetze Plumbing but they only have one technician that services the Kinetico systems and he's stretched pretty thin. He's pretty busy. I know who he is because he designed my system, originally, four years ago.

I like the Kinetico system. It's pretty easy to use and I can do the filter change-out myself. For the other parts, I usually call the technician to come in and do those because it's a little more advanced than I can do. I also like the quality of the system. The previous system that we had in place was installed by a pump company. It was in place for almost 15 years. I would like to think I would get that kind of lifespan on this Kinetico system. The technician said you may get six or seven years out of it, but we'll just have to see how that works.

I had a technician here this week and he updated or changed out the chemical pump. He's gonna come back next week and maybe take apart the filtration system itself and rebuild the two tanks that filter the water then it goes through the filter part again. He said he wanted to come and do some checks on those. It's kind of a maintenance thing. This is the first big maintenance we've had on that system in the four years it's been in place.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

I've had experience with Kinetico for six years. I used them previously when I lived in a different house and then, we bought it last year. We have the water softener and the reverse osmosis. I didn't have the reverse osmosis before. I just got it in our house now. We were having hard water. Also, one of our friends always carries bottled water. She wouldn't drink any town water. So I thought, I would just go ahead and get that reverse osmosis, which actually turned out good because when we had flooding in the area this summer, the nitrate count was too high and you had to boil your water. But I didn't have to boil our water because it filters all of it. The reverse osmosis worked out great for us.

I was just amazed. I thought, "Wow. I can't believe I spent the extra money and it was really worth it." And then, I didn't have to spend the extra money to buy water. The town also supplies water to people, and it was a pain in the butt because I'm the manager of the KCs and if you wash your dishes, you have to boil the water. It was an extra chore.

It's all been great because otherwise, I would not have went back a second time. There was another water system in the area which was Culligan. I called them, left a message, never got a call back. I waited two weeks, I called again, never got a call back. The lady there said, "Well, I just take a message. If he doesn't call you..." That was not her fault. I understand. And I thought, I had money to spend. It was not like everyday somebody puts a water softener in. They never called me back. And I thought, if they can't even call me, just forget it. And with Culligan, you have to set a timer for it to soften the water or to run. With the Kinetico, you will have softened water 24/7, 365 days a year. You do not put on a timer. There are two bottles and when one bottle runs out, you start running on the other. Before you get to the bottom of that bottle, the other bottle is ready to go.

When they came and talked to me about it the very first time, I knew nothing. I had some idea about a water softener, but I didn't have the full spectrum of it, and they were very explanatory in everything. I was just amazed at their system and that you didn't have to set it on a timer or anything like that which I thought really made sense because otherwise, you'd set it at 2:00 in the morning when you're not using it. They've been great. We have recommended Kinetico to our friends who live on a farm and they have very hard water.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

The customer service at Kinetico was excellent. They came out and answered the questions. I had looked at one other system and as I pointed on this to where I wanted it, right off the bat they said, "Well, that'll cost you extra, and it'll be this and this and this." And when I brought up that same situation with the Kinetico rep, he said, "Let's go ahead and see what you're really talking about, and let's see what it is that you really want." And on that basis there, they said, "Yes, we can do it. There's no extra cost." So, the way they approached it, the people that came out here were very knowledgeable. And it was not a sales job, it was more of a matter of very nice questions, answers, and the product.

The installation was excellent. The installers were here when they said they were going to be. It took them less time than they thought that it might, and everything has worked out very well all the way through. In fact, we've liked so much that there was a lady that lives about a block and a half away from us, and she came to me and she said, "How did you like it? And do you think they can do it the way that I want it?" I told her Kinetico can. She had three other companies come out and she wound up buying a system from Kinetico too.

We used to be more itchy, in the wintertime especially. It bothered my wife more than it did me. We felt kind of dry in certain areas of our body, and we never had that as a situation since we've had our Kinetico. In fact, we went away on a trip and when we got back, I had forgotten all about making sure that I had plenty of salt pellets in the Kinetico. And so, we were home for about five weeks and Patsy was saying something was wrong. She said, "I'm beginning to feel like I did before we had the new system put in. Are you sure you're doing things right?" I went downstairs, and sure enough, there wasn't a pebble or a little salt piece in there. And so, I came up and I added a bag of it. So, it was noticeable when we ran out of salt.

In some ways, Kinetico is more expensive. There's an ad on TV now and it says, "Always get other estimates, but always make sure that ours is one of the three, and I'm sure that you'll agree that ours is the best." Until people shop around, they don't realize the difference. And I wouldn't be at all surprised if they got in touch with Kinetico the very first, they would get a lot of information, but at the same time, they may not really realize the advantages of some of the things that they are talking about. We have told our neighbors about Kinetico. Some of the neighbors can afford it, but other neighbors had already installed and they had their own system.

Kinetico response

Thank you for the kind words, David. We always appreciate hearing stories from our customers. If there is ever anything you need from Kinetico, please reach out to our customer support team at customersupport@kinetico.com.

Thanks again,

The Kinetico Customer Support Team

Resolution response: Sept. 21, 2020

All the system needed was filter replacement. If we had received owner's manual, we would have known it was the filter. It’s working fine now.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2020

We had the reverse osmosis drinking water system installed in our home approx. April 2019. We’ve had the dealer out to investigate, repair and finally replace the system. We often had a dry spigot. We had NO drinking water often. This occurred about every 3 months. Finally they replaced The system. Here we are about 3 month after the system was replaced and AGAIN, we have no drinking water. However, this time the water dribbles out of the spigot. It took 14 monitors to fill half a pot of water to boil spaghetti noddle. That is unacceptable. I called the dealer on Friday but it was just after they closed for the weekend. I left a message and hope to hear from them on Monday. We are very frustrated as this was a large expense.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

The water softener was skillfully installed. It takes the hardness calcium out of the water. I bought it for $1,400 and two years worth of salt and it has worked flawlessly ever since. No maintenance.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2020

I did some research online of different systems that offered water purification as well as reverse osmosis. Kinetico seemed to be rated very highly so I installed that in my brand new home. But I left the house that has that system. I moved to Arizona so I don't have it anymore. But I loved the system and had no problems. The system worked great and the service was good. It was more expensive than some others on the market but you do get what you pay for. It was high quality.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

We moved into a new home and Kinetico came and hooked up our old system to our new house. I'm a big believer in Kinetico. It's a great product. It's the best out there. Here where I live in Tennessee, there's a lot of rock in the water. There are also high levels of chlorine in the water. Kinetico lets your appliances and clothes last longer and it's better for your skin when you take a shower. You definitely tell a difference when you wash your hair. It's an investment for the maintenance of your home. I like it. The dual system they have uses less water and less salt. I wish I had asked about drinking water system but we're gonna do that later down the road. We sold our drinking water system in our last house. We had a K1 which was fantastic and we're gonna get another one.

The only complaint I had was they showed up two hours late and they didn’t call me. A little timeliness is an improvement, or at least call the customer if you're not gonna be there on time. I've been in sales for many years. If I was gonna be late for an appointment, I made sure that my customer knew about it. Other than that, they came the day they said they would.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

Where we're getting our water from, they switched to getting water that's mined out of the earth so it was fine calcium and magnesium. It was causing all my appliances to clog up every three months so I decided to do something. I got Kinetico's K5 water reverse osmosis system and we have a water softener system with them too. It's got charcoal with it so it's a filtering system. We've had good tasting water from the reverse osmosis system. I've dealt with them yearly to get maintenance and I've had no problems.

Kinetico Company Information