4.4/5 (214 ratings)

About Kinetico

Founded in 1970, Kinetico produces efficient, built-to-last water softener and reverse osmosis systems for your home. Kinetico’s water treatment systems are non-electric, low-maintenance and fully automatic. Water treatment systems can extend the life of your plumbing, appliances and clothes as well as improve water taste and quality. The company offers three water softeners and water drinking filtration systems. Customers can find Kinetico water treatment systems through local specialist partners, but the company does not sell directly to consumers.

Pros

• Improves water taste and quality
  • Durable
  • Non-electric, powered by water
  • Three softener types

Cons

• Must buy from local partners
  • No upfront prices

Bottom Line

Kinetico produces non-electric water softeners and filtration systems built for efficiency and durability. The company sells three softener series that range from $500 to $5,000 and include warranties.

Top Kinetico Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kinetico?

Verified

I was convinced by my family member that Kinetico will be the best system to get. Setting up an appointment was fine and easy… I got a water filtration and softener product. The i...

Verified

The house that we bought already had the Kinetico softener system in it… The installation was excellent… After we replaced that tank, our well pump died. So we had them out there ...

How does a Kinetico water softener work?

Kinetico water softeners are salt-based and completely powered by moving water. These products help remove calcium and magnesium from your local tap water. Kinetico works with factory-certified, local specialists that offer consultation appointments and a free water test. These local dealers also handle the installation process.

Kinetico does not list prices on its website — you must contact a local retailer. The company sells three softeners: the Essential Series, Signature Series and Premium Series. The Signature and Premium series offer 24/7 soft water. Speak with your local specialist to determine the best softener for your home, budget and lifestyle.

Kinetico also sells water filtration systems, including reverse osmosis systems. These products are designed to ensure your water is safe to drink while removing bad smells and taste.

How much does a Kinetico water softener cost?

Kinetico offers three water softener series at three different price points, typically ranging from $500 to $5,000. The Essential Series is its most affordable model and offers limited water softening services. The Signature and Premium series offer 24/7 water softening and can handle harder water, higher capacity and other functions.

Exact prices are not available on the company’s website and are determined by local, third-party Kinetico dealers. Specialists offer in-home consultations and can provide a free water test to determine which water softener is right for your home and budget. Kinetico specialists are trained and perform installation services.

Kinetico FAQ

How long does a Kinetico water softener last?

Water softeners typically last between 10 and 15 years. Due to Kinetico’s higher quality, your water softener’s life span could extend to 20 or more years.

Do Kinetico water softeners need maintenance?

Kinetico water softeners are made to be low maintenance and use a non-electric design. Water softeners require new salt to be added periodically.

What kind of salt does the Kinetic water softener use?

Kinetico water softeners use evaporated salt, which can be bought in the form of pellets, cubes or blocks. Evaporated salt is the purest type of sodium chloride (table salt). Avoid using lesser-grade salts or rock salt because foreign particles can lead to maintenance and service issues.

Do Kinetico water softeners have a warranty?

Yes, Kinetico water softeners have product-specific warranties if they are installed by a Kinetico specialist. Warranties stay with the water softener and transfer to the next owner of your house.

Are Kinetico water softeners worth the money?

Kinetico water softeners are non-electric, built to last and made for efficiency. Kinetico softeners can use 70% less salt than other brands. The company partners with local specialists, which can make it difficult to determine the price of the softener and installation. If you’re looking for a high-quality, low-maintenance water softener or filtration system, however, Kinetico is a strong option.

Kinetico Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kinetico?

Original review: Dec. 30, 2022

We were pleased with the Kinetico system. We had a very nice person that installed it for us and was helpful. The initial testing and appointment with the man that came to our home was very informative and helpful too. We are amazed at this wonderful water. We're so thankful and it's going fine. We're able to buy the salt not too far away from us because from where we live to get down to Grabill is easy. We're doing good with it.

One time, I called Kinetico's office. This was some time ago after we first got our water system. From time to time, we would take a sip of it, but we just didn't know if there was a certain threshold of a certain amount of the numbers. Are you allowed to just serve it as drinking water or not? What is the safe thing to do? We don't have one of the special water purifiers. I know Kinetico sells that system that you could attach underneath your sink. So, ours comes right from the ground through those big black tanks, and it comes right out our faucet that way. Inside of the salt tank, it has a label and it has different numbers and things and that's probably what Kinetico would want to know in order to give us the best advice.

Our well water was very rusty. So, it's just a joy. I walk into the kitchen sink and I don't have to see stains all over the sink or in the toilet. And the thing that was something I had to do before so much was the shower. And we found a product called Lime OUT, which is a chemical, so you'd have to put it all on the tub. And that worked well, but that's quite an expense in itself just to keep doing that, and having to be around the chemicals. Now, I just walk in the bathroom and it's beautiful and shining. The sinks and our dishes are good, too. Now, I don't have brown rings on the bottom of cups.

For all the years that we were living here at this house with just having the rusty water, we never had a washing machine hooked up. So, every week, I go to the laundromat and do our wash. So, not long ago, my husband brought me a machine. So, he's going to be hook that up soon and I can hardly wait to do the laundry because I know it won't get rusty clothes and it will be great. The system seems to be operating so well. It's a life changer.

Hi Laurie,

Thank you for sharing your Kinetico story. We're happy to hear you have had a positive experience with one of our water systems. If you ever need help, please let us know. You can reach us at customersupport@kinetico.com or 800.944.9283.

The Kinetico Team

Get buying tips about Water Treatment Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2022

I got my Kinetico system from American Water Care and Jill, the woman I worked with, was amazing. She knew the system. She was friendly, knowledgeable of the product and didn't do like this tacky sales pitch. She just trains you on what the water system did, how it worked, and what the benefits were. I felt super confident after talking to her. She told me why Kinetico is the best, and it is the best.

In Wimberley, the water hardness is like the highest in most areas, and with the system, we notice a difference in our hair, the showers, and the dishwasher. It's a whole change of everything. It's nice that the water that goes through the fridge goes through a filter first. Even though the fridges have filters, those don't do anything for the water. So, the Kinetico is incredible.

Customer service is a big deal to me. Great customer service was what I received, and they've got knowledgeable customer service reps, and that really stands out. The system is incredible because it handles extremely hard water. It works great. It's been about a year and it's still working extremely well. We have to add salt and stuff, but it's amazing for drinking and for the whole house system. The cool thing is the water tastes so much better. The cost of the system, in the beginning, was a lot but in the long term, you end up saving because you're not buying bottled water. Bottled water doesn't even taste that good because it's been sitting in a plastic container in heat and cold. So the Kinetico was definitely worth the investment. It's really nice to have a system that really works. I've had systems that don't. I'd recommend Kinetico to anyone.

Original review: July 18, 2022

I looked at Kinetico, went to the home show, walked up to a guy and said, "Hey, I've done my research, I want you to install a system. This is gonna be the easiest sale ever. Ours is 20 years old. It's gotta go. Drinking water system softener." He said, "I will call you," he showed up and it has been good. The water quality is good. I've just been noticing our shower heads are getting scaly. Against my better judgment, he said, "I don't think we need to do a water test because I just did one down the road about five miles." But there's something going on and it needs a tweak to run it a little more often per gallon. And our water was different. I was about to get on the app and shoot him a message to see if he could come out and test my water because we never tested it just to see if I'm a little harder than what was preset on the unit and get that dialed in.

I like that we don't have to think about our system. It's easy to use. It just does its own thing. I like that it runs whenever it needs to run and we've got the dual tank so it can run during the day and we still get processed water out of the other tank. All I have to do is add salt whenever I needed it. I wish my system was even smarter and it had a connection to the app right from my system so that I could see how it's doing. But maybe that's the next version of the system, meaning it's got a WiFi connection that connects to my home, and I could see how everything is doing versus have to manually look. The next advancement in my drinking water house softener system would be to make it "smart" where it could say, "Here's my drinking water filters, their remaining life, my softener status, and when it's running."

It would be cool for the guy that installed it to get alerts from the system versus from me. Because my furnace and air conditioner have that. If there's a problem, it sends the company that installed it a notification about what's going on, and they call me and say, "Hey, this is going on. Can we come out and take a look?" versus me going, "I didn't even know that." Because he installed drinking water, reverse osmosis, and the softener. If Kinetico could go to that next leap and monitor that for me or for itself, that would be cool.

Hi Eric,

We appreciate this feed back. Kinetico's claim to fame is non-electric products. It's difficult for you or the dealer to be notified of the product's performance.

Kinetico is making advanced in the IoT arena and Connected Products. We do have a line of electric products that connect to an App. We have the salt monitor, which is non-electric that communicates with the app with the customer. The electric softeners connect with an app and also our leak detection system.

Stay tuned!

Original review: May 2, 2022

I always had a water filtration system growing up. When we lived in apartments, we couldn't have them so my laundry and my body were just yucky. The water filtration system was one of the very first things we did when we bought our house. Not quite a year after we moved in, we got the reverse osmosis because we were doing a Britta thing and it was so dumb because it was like pour-it-and-fill-her thing then the next day, it was empty. We were spending a lot of money.

When my grandma moved up here from Southern Minnesota, I always heard her refer to Kinetico. I saw that it was family-owned and super close to our house. We called there and never had a problem. Their people were wonderful and super friendly. We were having issues with our softener and the salt wasn't going down. They came out that day to check it. In here, we installed a low pressure water showerhead and theirguys said, “Everything is looking good. It's just you're not using as much salt because you're not using as much water.”

We rent our water heater and reverse osmosis drinking water. It's nice to be able to turn on the drinking water faucet and not worry about filling the Britta and waiting a few minutes until a full glass of water drips down and is filtered. The reverse osmosis works differently and we liked the idea that it would remove more impurities with four filters instead of one little one. The water is really good. It’s just fresh and clean.

Kinetico response

Thank you for sharing your Kinetico experience Bridget!

Original review: March 13, 2022

I reached out to Kinetico and told them that I was interested in getting some information on the product. They sent a rep out a couple of days later. The rep went over everything with me, and then I settled on the products that I wanted to buy. They had it installed within three weeks. I did a home water system for hard water, a water softener for the whole house. I also got a unit that removes all the chlorine from the city water for the whole house. I purchased a K5 water filtration system for drinking water in the kitchen sink.

It's been a great system and it does wonders for the city water that we get. The hard water stains have disappeared from everything. One of the things that I liked about it was that it's not electric. It's just mechanical. It seems like there's much less to break and I haven't had any issues with it. It costs a lot of money, but it's a one-time thing and I own it. So if I move, I can take it with me. It's one of the best things that I've purchased for the house. I've been really happy with it.

There were a couple of issues that popped up when I was changing filters on my K5 system that, for some reason, it wouldn't start working again. Every time there's ever been an issue or I needed to change something, they come right out and do it, and I don't even think they charged me for any of that stuff. The local dealer has been great to deal with.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2023

I had a 20 yr old Kinetico system which was great. I replaced it with the same but new system. Shortly thereafter I started having a hard water problem. They tested my system & said it now needed an additional tank as something changed in the water table. Fine, I had that new tank installed. The installer neglected to insert the hose into the drain so when the system cleansed itself the waste water went all over the carpet in my finished basement & also destroyed my new ceiling tiles stored nearby. They came back to insert the hose in the drain (which I already did) & said that they need to anchor it.

After they left, I looked & the serviceman had kinked the hose so no water could pass. I had to go to the hardware, get a new fitting & fix it myself. I called & wrote to the company & they said they'd take care of cleaning my carpet & replacing by destroyed ceiling tiles. I sent them the invoices, called, left VM messages but after weeks of doing so, I'm only getting ignored. This could have been a good resolve but I'm hugely upset with their lack of attention to loyal customers. Looks like I'll have to go to small claims court to get paid back.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2023

We were having was a lot of film on the backsplash of the showers and having a water softener has made a big difference. Also, our hair and skin is not so dry. I've given my sister-in-law and a lot of people Kinetico's number because we're satisfied.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2023

I had a Kinetico unit and I had it replaced. The cost was high and I had the option to go for a lower cost unit, but the Kinetico unit that was replaced was 20 years old so I stuck with it.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2023

I bought a house that has a Kinetico system and I recently bought an additional filter leg for that system. The water is now much better. It has improved both the color of the water as well as the taste.

Kinetico response

Thanks for sharing your experience with your Kinetico System, Ted! If you ever need help with your system, please let us know. You can reach us at customersupport@kinetico.com or 800.944.9283.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2023

The rep we dealt with took care of everything. Since having Kinetico, the water quality has been real good.

Kinetico response

Thanks for sharing your Kinetico experience, Keith! If you ever need help, please let us know. You can reach us at customersupport@kinetico.com or 800.944.9283.

Kinetico Company Information