4.5/5 (261 ratings)

About Kinetico

Founded in 1970, Kinetico produces efficient, built-to-last water softener and reverse osmosis systems for your home. Kinetico’s water treatment systems are non-electric, low-maintenance and fully automatic. Water treatment systems can extend the life of your plumbing, appliances and clothes as well as improve water taste and quality. The company offers three water softeners and water drinking filtration systems. Customers can find Kinetico water treatment systems through local specialist partners, but the company does not sell directly to consumers.

Pros

• Improves water taste and quality
  • Durable
  • Non-electric, powered by water
  • Three softener types

Cons

• Must buy from local partners
  • No upfront prices

Bottom Line

Kinetico produces non-electric water softeners and filtration systems built for efficiency and durability. The company sells three softener series that range from $500 to $5,000 and include warranties.

Top Kinetico Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I was convinced by my family member that Kinetico will be the best system to get. Setting up an appointment was fine and easy… I got a water filtration and softener product. The i...

Verified

The house that we bought already had the Kinetico softener system in it… The installation was excellent… After we replaced that tank, our well pump died. So we had them out there ...

How does a Kinetico water softener work?

Kinetico water softeners are salt-based and completely powered by moving water. These products help remove calcium and magnesium from your local tap water. Kinetico works with factory-certified, local specialists that offer consultation appointments and a free water test. These local dealers also handle the installation process.

Kinetico does not list prices on its website — you must contact a local retailer. The company sells three softeners: the Essential Series, Signature Series and Premium Series. The Signature and Premium series offer 24/7 soft water. Speak with your local specialist to determine the best softener for your home, budget and lifestyle.

Kinetico also sells water filtration systems, including reverse osmosis systems. These products are designed to ensure your water is safe to drink while removing bad smells and taste.

How much does a Kinetico water softener cost?

Kinetico offers three water softener series at three different price points, typically ranging from $500 to $5,000. The Essential Series is its most affordable model and offers limited water softening services. The Signature and Premium series offer 24/7 water softening and can handle harder water, higher capacity and other functions.

Exact prices are not available on the company’s website and are determined by local, third-party Kinetico dealers. Specialists offer in-home consultations and can provide a free water test to determine which water softener is right for your home and budget. Kinetico specialists are trained and perform installation services.

Kinetico FAQ

How long does a Kinetico water softener last?

Water softeners typically last between 10 and 15 years. Due to Kinetico’s higher quality, your water softener’s life span could extend to 20 or more years.

Do Kinetico water softeners need maintenance?

Kinetico water softeners are made to be low maintenance and use a non-electric design. Water softeners require new salt to be added periodically.

What kind of salt does the Kinetic water softener use?

Kinetico water softeners use evaporated salt, which can be bought in the form of pellets, cubes or blocks. Evaporated salt is the purest type of sodium chloride (table salt). Avoid using lesser-grade salts or rock salt because foreign particles can lead to maintenance and service issues.

Do Kinetico water softeners have a warranty?

Yes, Kinetico water softeners have product-specific warranties if they are installed by a Kinetico specialist. Warranties stay with the water softener and transfer to the next owner of your house.

Are Kinetico water softeners worth the money?

Kinetico water softeners are non-electric, built to last and made for efficiency. Kinetico softeners can use 70% less salt than other brands. The company partners with local specialists, which can make it difficult to determine the price of the softener and installation. If you’re looking for a high-quality, low-maintenance water softener or filtration system, however, Kinetico is a strong option.

Kinetico Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kinetico?

Original review: Aug. 21, 2022

Kinetico's customer service is very nice and they’re right on the ball. They do everything they can for you. I have to drink an awful lot of water because I have kidney problems. So, I love my Kinetico. I wouldn't be without it and I just had a new one put in the garage. I feel safe when I can drink my water. I had the system serviced every year for a long time and the guy who owned Kinetico here in St. George came and told me that I don't use water for cooking and I don't have a house full of people, so I only need to change the filters for the one in the kitchen every two years, which was very good of him because he was honest. He could have said that I need it serviced every year and charge me to do nothing.

I just had the system in the kitchen serviced a couple of months ago. But the one in the garage didn't have to be serviced. It's a brand-new one. The system was quite expensive but that's okay. It doesn't need filters so, I'm set there. But I keep up on servicing everything. If they say a year, I have it done every year. People should get the Kinetico system if they can afford it. It's an investment. When the guy came two years ago, he said the one in the garage was kaput. I told him to put in a new one. I didn't even think about it. It has been here 20 years. It has lasted a long time.

Get buying tips about Water Treatment Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 18, 2022

I looked at Kinetico, went to the home show, walked up to a guy and said, "Hey, I've done my research, I want you to install a system. This is gonna be the easiest sale ever. Ours is 20 years old. It's gotta go. Drinking water system softener." He said, "I will call you," he showed up and it has been good. The water quality is good. I've just been noticing our shower heads are getting scaly. Against my better judgment, he said, "I don't think we need to do a water test because I just did one down the road about five miles." But there's something going on and it needs a tweak to run it a little more often per gallon. And our water was different. I was about to get on the app and shoot him a message to see if he could come out and test my water because we never tested it just to see if I'm a little harder than what was preset on the unit and get that dialed in.

I like that we don't have to think about our system. It's easy to use. It just does its own thing. I like that it runs whenever it needs to run and we've got the dual tank so it can run during the day and we still get processed water out of the other tank. All I have to do is add salt whenever I needed it. I wish my system was even smarter and it had a connection to the app right from my system so that I could see how it's doing. But maybe that's the next version of the system, meaning it's got a WiFi connection that connects to my home, and I could see how everything is doing versus have to manually look. The next advancement in my drinking water house softener system would be to make it "smart" where it could say, "Here's my drinking water filters, their remaining life, my softener status, and when it's running."

It would be cool for the guy that installed it to get alerts from the system versus from me. Because my furnace and air conditioner have that. If there's a problem, it sends the company that installed it a notification about what's going on, and they call me and say, "Hey, this is going on. Can we come out and take a look?" versus me going, "I didn't even know that." Because he installed drinking water, reverse osmosis, and the softener. If Kinetico could go to that next leap and monitor that for me or for itself, that would be cool.

Hi Eric,

We appreciate this feed back. Kinetico's claim to fame is non-electric products. It's difficult for you or the dealer to be notified of the product's performance.

Kinetico is making advanced in the IoT arena and Connected Products. We do have a line of electric products that connect to an App. We have the salt monitor, which is non-electric that communicates with the app with the customer. The electric softeners connect with an app and also our leak detection system.

Stay tuned!

Original review: May 2, 2022

I always had a water filtration system growing up. When we lived in apartments, we couldn't have them so my laundry and my body were just yucky. The water filtration system was one of the very first things we did when we bought our house. Not quite a year after we moved in, we got the reverse osmosis because we were doing a Britta thing and it was so dumb because it was like pour-it-and-fill-her thing then the next day, it was empty. We were spending a lot of money.

When my grandma moved up here from Southern Minnesota, I always heard her refer to Kinetico. I saw that it was family-owned and super close to our house. We called there and never had a problem. Their people were wonderful and super friendly. We were having issues with our softener and the salt wasn't going down. They came out that day to check it. In here, we installed a low pressure water showerhead and theirguys said, “Everything is looking good. It's just you're not using as much salt because you're not using as much water.”

We rent our water heater and reverse osmosis drinking water. It's nice to be able to turn on the drinking water faucet and not worry about filling the Britta and waiting a few minutes until a full glass of water drips down and is filtered. The reverse osmosis works differently and we liked the idea that it would remove more impurities with four filters instead of one little one. The water is really good. It’s just fresh and clean.

Kinetico response

Thank you for sharing your Kinetico experience Bridget!

Original review: March 13, 2022

I reached out to Kinetico and told them that I was interested in getting some information on the product. They sent a rep out a couple of days later. The rep went over everything with me, and then I settled on the products that I wanted to buy. They had it installed within three weeks. I did a home water system for hard water, a water softener for the whole house. I also got a unit that removes all the chlorine from the city water for the whole house. I purchased a K5 water filtration system for drinking water in the kitchen sink.

It's been a great system and it does wonders for the city water that we get. The hard water stains have disappeared from everything. One of the things that I liked about it was that it's not electric. It's just mechanical. It seems like there's much less to break and I haven't had any issues with it. It costs a lot of money, but it's a one-time thing and I own it. So if I move, I can take it with me. It's one of the best things that I've purchased for the house. I've been really happy with it.

There were a couple of issues that popped up when I was changing filters on my K5 system that, for some reason, it wouldn't start working again. Every time there's ever been an issue or I needed to change something, they come right out and do it, and I don't even think they charged me for any of that stuff. The local dealer has been great to deal with.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2022

I enjoy Kinetico for my laundry and bath but you have to watch the salt and having all that correct because, over the summer last year, I was drinking a ton of water from our under-the-counter water filter here at the sink and my mouth broke out. I don't know if it was the pH or something was off. So, we called Kinetico and had them come and change it. The people who installed the water filter came and put a new one in, but the pressure has been messed up since then and I've got to call them back about that. But other than that, it's wonderful. The installers were good and knew everything about all of it and told me what to do. The guy said it may need some readjusting but I haven't called him back to get him back out here for the pressure part. Because if the pressure part could work out, then we'd be cooking.

Thank God we have the water filter for our bathtub. My children take baths every night and we were taking baths in orange water when we first moved in. So, that has gotten better. But I wish that the under-the-counter water filter was better so I could drink it and feel comfortable drinking it. Since then, I haven't been drinking out of it. I drink bottled water.

Hi Shelby,

Thanks for the review. Please feel free to contact Kinetico Customer Support at 800.944.9283 or customersupport@kinetico.com if you need assistance communicating with your area service provider.

Kinetico Customer Support Team

Original review: Nov. 29, 2022

Our Kinetico system works great. I haven't had any issues. We definitely use less salt than we did before, and the water quality is good as well.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2022

The installation was great. They came back, did quality checks and made sure everything was still good. Everything's softer and cleaner with Kinetico. I've already told others about them and other people have installed. The only thing I have to do is make sure the salt and the pebbles are filled. When the filters for the osmosis machine go away, there's a bar that tells me to replace those. The replacing of those is a couple hundred dollars.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2022

I purchased a saltwater system. They did a great job with installation. Get a Kinetico. It works.

Thank you, Anthony.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2022

The salesperson knew what he was talking about and did a good job promoting the product. And he was at the local trade show here. Also, the installers have done a good job. They knew what they were doing. I'm pleased with the water. Anybody should have one of those systems.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2022

I checked out a few different providers and the thing that I like about the Kinetico system is that I don't need to plug it in. In the event of a power outage, it's still going to be effective. The first couple of times I showered after having it in, it felt weird. Because of the difference between hard water and soft water, I kept feeling I was still soapy. It'd be nice if Kinetico could have a saltless system.

Kinetico Company Information