Accredited Partner

RainSoft Water Treatment Systems

RainSoft Water Treatment Systems
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.40/5

RainSoft manufacturers and sells water conditioning and water filtration systems for residential customers. A water expert can visit your home for a free water analysis. RainSoft offers solutions for whole-home hard water conditioning to improve bathing, washing dishes and doing laundry. The company also focuses on drinking water solutions to improve water taste and clarity.

RainSoft - a Pentair Company Video
RainSoft - a Pentair Company Gallery (1)

BOTTOM LINE

RainSoft offers traditional, salt-based water softeners and drinking water carbon filtration systems. Customers can visit the website to schedule a free in-home water analysis and find a local dealer to get a quote.

PROS

• Referral program
  • Limited lifetime warranty
  • Free in-home water analysis
  • Energy-efficient options

CONS

• No salt-free softeners
  • Pricing not available online

Top RainSoft Water Treatment Systems Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about RainSoft - a Pentair Company?

We did a home water test through our town and RainSoft tagged our mailbox… The guy who came out was very knowledgeable and professional. He showed us everything we needed to see and explained everything very well… Since we've had the system installed, the water is all I drink…

So far, everything is working out very good with our RainSoft… My husband and I decided that we wanna try it out. And so far, we love it. The sales rep was very good and helpful. I feel like the way that everything was handled was pretty good.

What is RainSoft?

RainSoft produces water conditioning and water filtration systems intended for the whole home or a single point of use. The company offers a free in-home water analysis for those unsure of what they need in their homes.

RainSoft offers three water softener systems that address hard water issues:

• The EC5 is a premium, computer-controlled, whole-home water softener system that is available in various configurations to fit your needs. It connects to the RainSoft Remind app for low salt notifications and filter change reminders. The system automatically responds to your water use, and the computer control saves water, salt and electricity.
  • The EC5-CAB system saves on salt and water consumption by using shorter cycles based on home water use. It comes with an easy-to-read display and distinctive alarm tones. You can customize the system’s functions to fit your family’s needs, and it's designed to deliver an uninterrupted supply of conditioned water.
  • The TC-M series is available in various configurations to fit your home. It's energy-efficient and self-cleaning, and the high flow rates deliver a consistent supply of water.

For drinking water purification, RainSoft offers:

• The Ultrefiner II is RainSoft’s premium drinking water system. It uses three high-quality, multistage filters to purify tap water and remove small particles, lead, copper, chromium, VOC and chlorine. It comes with a lead-free faucet. The cartridge is interchangeable, which creates less waste than systems that require the whole filter to be removed.
  • The Hydrefiner II reduces chlorine and other particles that cause bad taste and odors. Each cartridge treats up to 830 gallons of water.

RainSoft also sells problem-specific filters to address individual water issues and systems, including the CleanStart laundry system, which oxidizes tap water to disinfect clothes.

How does the RainSoft system work?

RainSoft water conditioner systems soften water for the whole home using a salt-based ion exchange process powered by electricity. The systems are installed where the water enters your home from the municipal supply. Some systems are designed to provide a continuous supply of softened water, while others have computerized controls that respond to your family’s water use and produce softened water on demand.

While many of the models have self-cleaning and regeneration cycles, most also require filter changes, adding salt and some maintenance. Models come with replacement reminder alarms or connect to an app that alerts you when the system needs attention.

RainSoft water softener cost

RainSoft doesn’t disclose its water softener prices on its website. Its products are available for purchase through local dealers, so if you’re interested in buying a RainSoft system, contact a local dealer for a free in-home water analysis and quote.

RainSoft FAQ

How long do RainSoft water softeners last?
RainSoft water softeners are built to last for years. All systems come with a limited lifetime warranty. You or your service provider will need to replace filters or cartridges and perform maintenance on the system.
Does RainSoft remove lead?
RainSoft water filtration systems that employ carbon filters, such as the Ultrefiner II and Hydrefiner II, remove lead. Water softeners do not remove lead.
Does RainSoft remove chlorine?
RainSoft’s drinking water systems, the Ultrefiner II and Hydrefiner II, reduce chlorine using carbon filtration. RainSoft water softeners do not remove chlorine.

Is RainSoft worth it?

RainSoft offers several solutions for home water softening and drinking water filtration and has systems that can be combined for maximum performance. For customers experiencing multiple water issues, a RainSoft water expert helps determine the problems and customize a home system configured to solve them all.

RainSoft Water Treatment Systems Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RainSoft Water Treatment Systems?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about RainSoft - a Pentair Company?

Original review: March 18, 2020

We had Anderson Water System since around 2008 and when it had problems, the parts couldn't be replaced anymore. The salesman came and said that they were now selling RainSoft. I thought it was kinda weird that when he tested my Anderson water that it had a high number compared to the osmosis thing, which had zero. He was the one that sold us the other system and he was a good guy. When my husband was alive, we went down to North Carolina and North Carolina is built on sand and it was all soft water. I noticed that when we got down there, my eczema was gone. So I wanted soft water in the house and got the whole house system, not just the drinking water, and it cost 5,000.

We have baseboard water heat and I love the water softener because the scum doesn't build up in the pipes. Also, I like that it takes salt instead of potassium. Potassium is $30 a bag, while salt is around 5 a bag. And it's less maintenance. I don't have to pay the $45 a year warranty fee because it's under warranty forever. It sounded like a great deal. We live on one of the finger lakes and the house is gonna be my daughter's someday, so I'm trying to keep everything in good shape and the RainSoft is a great investment. The installer was a very friendly and interesting guy. And he knew what he was doing. I really love the water softener. A lot of people won't spend the money, but I can't go back to that old scumming.

I also got a separate thing just for the drinking water. It's on the sink. The guy told me to drink a big glass in the morning and at night and I'll sleep. I didn't believe him. I said that if I drink that water, I'd be up all night going to the bathroom. He said that it doesn't make you do that. And it's true. I am sleeping better. I used to be up about every hour, but now, I've been sleeping two and a half hours in a row. I'm very pleased. Moreover, my water is now the best tasting water and I'm not a water drinker.

Get buying tips about Water Treatment Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

We started this with a tiny water sample through Home Depot. We were then contacted to do a larger scale testing at our home. We KNEW how gross our water was and had photos of some of the nastiness and a coffee maker it destroyed. We had a rep come out (Sat) and do the test. She was on time, adorable and professional. The test was interesting. Yes we're pitched with a sale, various options but we were very interested and if you decide to sign up then, you save $2500. We did and chose the above mentioned items for our package. You fill out the paperwork to see if you're able to get financing and you'll be contacted in a few days. I contacted the rep Weds as we'd not heard and she'd just not gotten to us but we were approved.

We scheduled for the following Sat for install. The installer showed up right on time and was very and knowledgeable. He explained what his plan was and we left him to it. He was done in about 2 hours, explained how everything worked very thoroughly, gave his personal cell if any issues etc. He also left 3 bags of salt for us. This is where my lack of 5 stars comes. While signing HIS paperwork, we realize that the "financing papers" we signed with the rep were in fact the contract. In conversation something was said that made us question things. We definitely felt it was very shady. She does NOT tell you that you are signing the actual contract for the system. YOU ARE!!

The reason this matters a ton is because you only have 3 days to cancel from the date you sign that paper!! By the time we realized this, it had been a week. You're stuck. Thankfully we really wanted the system so for us, it didn't matter other than again, it seemed very shady. I made sure I let her know I wasn't happy and it was made to sound like I misunderstood. No I didn't. My fiance and I both are 100% it was NEVER said that it was THE contract. It took about 24 hrs for us to use the old water in the hwh and the new water to start coming through but once it did...OH BOY!! It's like night and day. I call it my silk water. I LOVE it!!

Everything is better. Our skin, our small appliances, the taste..everything! I have noticed with the air purifier that my sneezing is significantly less and I have horrible allergies and A LOT of animals. The CleanStart is super cool and makes everything smell like citrus no matter what laundry products you use. I am just finishing what i have and you need VERY little. With our package we get 5 years of cleaning products. I ordered them Sat and they're expected on Weds. (Today is Monday) So very quick. I cannot review the products yet but they're basically free so...

Our financing allows for 6 months no payments and no down payment. Rainsoft gives 3 months free then we are to receive a check to pay for the following 3 months. I was very worried this is where we'd get screwed. Nope. The check came today! It's very early but it's here so very happy about that! I know the reviews vary greatly for Rainsoft and we've only had it for a full week but other than the lack of contract transparency, so far we are absolutely thrilled with everything!! Just know about that contract before you sign but also remember how much you save if you do sign while the rep is in house. We've heard some pretty bad stuff about the customer service but we've not had to use it yet so time will tell and I will update should things change. So far we are really happy with ALL of it!!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

I’m involved with some of the sports programs where RainSoft does sponsorships and I’m also familiar with a couple of people that work there through those, which was probably the main reason I called them. I had a unit put in probably 2007, so that would be about 12 years ago. It was an iron filter and a water softener, and the iron filter had failed about a year ago. So, I called the company that put it in. They were saying the iron in my water had changed such that I didn’t have iron anymore and that I didn’t need the iron filter. Also, that I was fine with the test that they ran. But the feel and the smell of the water were drastically different, so the iron filter was doing something in those regards.

I know people from other water places, so I reached out to them and they told me the same thing. I wasn’t satisfied with the answer so I called RainSoft, and they came out and the answers they gave me in two minutes made sense. They definitely knew what they were talking about because it turned out that my suspicion was right. The iron filter was doing something to help with the smell of the water and my arsenic level. When they came out, not only did they answer my question but they gave me three different options. They gave me the different solutions and explained the pros and cons of all those different solutions and the price, which was important. I was on the phone with these other guys for weeks and Danny from RainSoft came out and answered all my questions. I was blown away. I was so impressed with him in explaining the pros and cons so I went with the most expensive option.

I have an iron filter and an Eco Oxytech EC4. One knocks out the iron and the other one knocks out what causes the smell in your water. I had a green-sand filter knocked down the iron, so I noticed that the arsenic level had gone up a little bit. We have the unit and the reverse osmosis system, and with the results that I experienced immediately, the smell went away. Whatever iron I have will get knocked out completely before it even hits the water softener. So, the iron level was drastically less. I’m very happy and I wish I had not dillydallied with the other two places. I should’ve just called RainSoft. I wanted to do my research and get the answers, and I didn’t wanna feel obligated to use RainSoft so, I went to them as a last resort, which was silly on my part. I should’ve just went with them right off the get-go.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

I had solids in my water. It was something that stains porcelains in my bathrooms and my sink. I had a system already but it was very old and I couldn’t rely on it anymore. So, I wanted to upgrade to a new system. I went online and found Carolina Freshwater, the company that installed RainSoft's product. And that one looked like something that was an upgrade from what I had, so that’s what I did.

A salesperson came out from the company and talked to me for three and a half hours, and I couldn’t run him off. He also did the water testing but he was more sales than he was anything. At the time, I already decided to buy the thing, then I just had to go through the program. I got both the water conditioner and softener, and the installation went great. Since then, the water is as I expected. It’s very good and clear. I put my RainSoft in in early November, then I sent off a sample in mid-December to RainSoft, and I haven’t heard anything. But I presume that’s good news.

All in all, I got what I paid for and I’m happy with my experience. The product was extremely expensive, but I knew that going in. I also knew I bought the service and that was what I was going for. I needed someone to service this thing yearly, which they assured me was gonna happen. I have a well and I need this system. I could’ve gone to Lowe's or Home Depot and bought something sort of similar for quite a bit of less money, but then, I would have had to have a plumber come. I just didn’t want to involve myself in going through all that. I wanted a one-shot deal and I pay RainSoft for what it’s worth.

And now, if I have problems, I call Carolina Freshwater and that works for me. In fact, I will contact them in the future about the fact that the RO system sometimes doesn't shut off. It will trickle and you can hear it in the drain for three or four minutes. I'm wondering if I can up the pressure in the RO system within the system itself because I have good water pressure in the rest of the house and I think there’s not enough pressure to adequately shut off. I’ve read about it, but I’m not gonna get down there and tinker around with the fittings. Also, the only thing it feeds is the freshwater on the sink. I have a separate spigot for the RO and it goes to my ice machine. But I haven’t contacted them about it because I wanted to change the refrigerators and see if that ice machine was the problem. It turned out that it wasn’t. So, I’ll contact them about that, too.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

RainSoft sent me a thing in the mail for a free thing of Tide, which I have not received. I was supposed to get that for having my water tested. I got their system and it's outside in the yard. It’s a big thing and it hasn’t much salt in it. I've had the system since October 2nd. The salesman was nice and polite. The installers were nice too, but they did not finish the job. It got dark on them. They said someone would be back the next day. But they ended up running the extension cord and they didn't leave enough wire for the next guy that came out to finish the job, so they told him they needed to rerun the wire. Another guy came out and he was very nice. The third installation guy said he knew how to fix it but he was not a certified electrician, so they won’t let him do it. He would send a certified electrician.

A month went by and went into November. The electrician finally came and he hooked it to the receptacle, but I didn't feel like the wire was buried all the way because it was dark out. I was out there with the installers when they were doing it and I said that I wanted it buried at least deep as their shovel was. They did a couple of feet then I went in. All of a sudden, they were done and I didn't see any dig marks, so I’m pretty sure they did not bury that part. They just kinda threw some dirt over it. Also, I know it’s only a couple inches because I can pull the dirt back with my hand and look. It’s only a couple inches. That’s next to the house where they had run the wire under. It's not likely that the dogs or anything will dig right there. The technicians ended up not running a new wire. I wanted them to run a new wire because if they bury it deep enough, they would have enough room.

I then had to go to North Carolina for a funeral for my nephew and I just got back. I got back like Wednesday night. I didn't know who to call after that. A technician came out but I wasn’t home then. I called my friend and told the technician that my friend was going to be there in 15 minutes. When my friend got there, there was nobody there. I called the number that the tech called me from and said I thought he was gonna bury that to which he said it was already buried. But I think he only checked the system and didn't check the spot. I haven't had a chance to get out there and dig around myself to see. I’m terrified of electricity. Other than to fix the light switch, I’m fine with it. But I’m gonna have a friend of mine come over and kinda dig around out there and see. I guess I could unplug it and then dig around. That would probably be a smart thing to do.

Since having my system installed, I can tell a difference. Everything feels slick like for the shower and the dishes. Somebody was buying salt and I inquired about which salt to buy. He said that he didn't like that thing. It made everything feel slimy because it felt like you couldn't get the soap rinsed off. But it becomes a good feeling after you do it a couple of times. It feels like you’re clean.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2020

Rainsoft of Chattanooga, Southern Energy Water & Air LLC, charges $225.00 for a service call! I was told that the under the sink filter should be changed once a year. That's over $300.00!!!! That is ridiculous.

RainSoft Water Treatment Systems response

We spoke with our dealer in Chattanooga and, based on their service rates, it doesn't match with Ms. Wahden's quote, above. The dealership spoke with Ms. Wahden yesterday morning and it was decided rather than a service call the dealer would send the filters to her house, which were sent yesterday afternoon. The dealer apologizes for any miscommunication and will follow up with the Ms. Wahden.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

Had a flyer at Bj’s Wholesale and someone came to test the water. We were convinced that the water softener will satisfied our needs. We had a hard water and we must treat our water. We had to use the financing program at the 9.9% a year. Not too bad, considering that we really need better quality water. They installed the system right away and they took a picture of me next to the system. Salesperson never came back to test the water after installation. The financing company charge us almost USD 2,00 a day and if we pay on weekends or holidays, payments won’t go through and we charge by the day. We put 50% more that the agreed amount in the contract but we don’t see the decrease on the price of the system.

Contact them, they say nothing we can do. After all the system will cost us USD 16.200 Really? Do yourself a favor and look someone else. Besides, you need $35 to fill up the softener and they charge $150 annually for maintenance. Too late to regret. Had to put &230 monthly for the next 3 years to finish paying this crap. Lessons cost money but we are paying a very expensive lesson.

RainSoft Water Treatment Systems response

Hi Denis. We appreciate your feedback and have asked our dealer to address these items with you and to retest your water.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

I'm writing this review just so people have some sort of a warning before they get the salesperson in their house and ultimately sign the dotted line since believe me, once they're in they will hard sell! First of all, the people working for this company, are all nice people. The guy who sold it to us was nice all the way to the installer and support afterwards. It’s just that the system is way too expensive at $6, 490! It's a nice system to have but not essential! Wait until your AC breaks and you will see what is really important especially in Texas!

On the presentation they will do a calculation where they will say this is how much you're shelling out for bottled water, shampoo, soap, cleaning supplies! It will make sense! But realize, at least for us that it won’t take long before you go back to your brand of soap and shampoo, laundry soaps and cleaning supplies! That is being given away for free for a reason! The water system will need maintenance too, that will not be part of their calculation of course when they will point out your savings but the system will require salt, filters and my god they sell their filters at a premium! Also the lifetime warranty? A lot of fine prints! If you need checking, it will cost $99 to get their guy out, so what is the lifetime warranty for??? Like I said, they are good people just doing business but man, I really hope I really read all reviews before I signed up!

Good afternoon Marvic,

First and foremost, I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on our service and the water system you purchased from Quality Water Systems, located in Houston. It truly is a great feeling to know that the personnel in our establishment are living up to our expectations of an excellent customer experience. We will not settle for anything less than best when it comes to customer service. I understand that you feel our system is too expensive; however, please understand that included in that price is the level of honesty, workmanship, and compassion that our company has for the water treatment industry. What I mean by this is, we could save both ourselves and our clients’ money by hiring an unvetted labor force, but we have found that most of our clients prefer the peace of mind that follows this investment opposed to uncertainty that often accompanies a cheaper upfront cost. Water treatment is one area where “you get what you pay for” truly applies.

I’m glad you got the full value of our water test and understand that by using the soaps we provide your investment pays for itself and with a 100% satisfaction guarantee on those products, its truly unfortunate that you decided against using them. As far as maintenance is concerned, our pricing is much lower than our competitors and I do not believe any of them provide a 90-day service guarantee after their technicians come out. Most companies charge per call and they charge it every time they come out. The warranty covers the extremely expensive portion of the system, which is the parts.

Again, I want to say thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. We agree that EVERY potential customer should take the time to read reviews on our company, we have proudly earned a total of over 11,000 – 5-star reviews across the internet and we work VERY hard to uphold that reputation.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2020

We have been a customer of Rain Soft since 2002. We constantly receive annoying marketing calls on average of at least once a week to service our system. So we Finally do schedule a service appointment for most likely to change the seals only to have to wait almost 2 weeks for a tech to come out. OK that’s fine however, they called us in the morning on the scheduled Friday, I have to take the day off of work and then the tech advised he would be out between 5 and 7 PM. I said OK however because it’s in the evening and it is on a Friday. I don’t want to be stuck with a delay and then having to reschedule.

Well sure enough, at 3:30 in the afternoon the tech, Duane calls to tell me that he just received an install mandate and he had to turn in our paperwork and someone MAY call us on Saturday to reschedule. Really??? So they triaged me because they could get more money for the install even though we originally paid $5000 for the system. So I called the office and asked for a manager only to get transferred four times! At one point I spoke to a person named Rory who would not even listen to me slaps me on hold and transferred me over to somebody “of authority.”

I eventually got to a person named Sharon and was advised that in no way would anybody be able to come out today even though we were scheduled for it and that she’ll have a manager call me on Monday. You know how that’s going to go. So I asked her to call him now and she refused. She was very arrogant and again spoke over me constantly and never offered a timely re-schedule or any type of service recovery. Seems to be a theme with Rain Soft. At this point I asked that my service call be comped by the Rain Soft. Sharon advised only a manager could do that - even though I originally asked for one and once again she refused to call the manager.

I finally said, “If this is how you treat an 18 year customer we’re done.” I have been in the customer service business for many years and I am stunned by the lack of customer service from Rain Soft. Now because our system was installed in 2002 we know that we’re heading for replacing it with a new system. I can assure you it won’t be Rain Soft installing our new system. I will not deal with a company that conducts themselves with such terrible customer service skills and nor should you.

RainSoft Water Treatment Systems response

We apologize for the difficulties you have experienced with our RainSoft dealer in Florida and the inconvenience they have caused. We have been in touch with them and they are willing to assist you with the service and the fees at this time. Kind Regards.

Resolution response: Sept. 2, 2020

Update on my issues-

RainSoft reached out to me and offered to cover the expenses to get our system up and running. We took them up on the offer and were able to get our system going in just a few days. After dealing with them directly, I can say more of my issues are with our local company than with RainSoft itself. I am still giving just a 4 Star bc of the price of the system.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2020

We bought our system in Mar 2019 bc of a Home Depot Water test. They scared me to death over my water bc we have a son with autism and they were saying all the things in my water were affecting him. We bought the system and a couple months later, my son was experiencing more challenges than before and some medical things came up for him. We were strapped thin (My husband works for 911, doesn’t make a lot), and called to try to return the system so we could cover my son’s needs and have room to breathe financially. I was told that’s not a thing they do, but they’d let me know if someone wanted to buy a used system. I NEVER heard back from them.

We got a call in Mar 2020 for service for the system. When we called back to set up an appt, the tech never returned the call. I called the main office several times with NO response. It took months to get in touch. When I finally did get someone on the line, she blamed ME for why her tech didn’t call us back or why she “didn’t get” my messages! Then she quotes us DOUBLE the service cost than what the tech quoted us. I told her we couldn’t afford it right now and would schedule later. Then the system messes up. No clue what going on except it was POURING water. Our water bill was ridiculous. We had to shut the whole thing off to get it to stop. So now we are paying for a system that we aren’t even using. I have a broken down car that I cannot afford to fix but I dare not stop paying on this system or I know it’ll ruin us. I just want to get rid of this system! It didn’t even help my son like I was told it would!

RainSoft Water Treatment Systems Company Information