4.47/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Since 1953, RainSoft has been a worldwide leader in providing families with premium water treatment and air purification systems. RainSoft is dedicated to designing, manufacturing and offering the industry's most diverse product line of water and air solutions for families like yours.

Our corporate Customer Focus Team ensures that each and every RainSoft customer is satisfied and exceeds every expectation. If you have a question, comment or concern, we encourage you to contact us directly at 1-800-RAINSOFT and ask to speak with our customer service group.

A leader in the water treatment industry since 1953, RainSoft takes the worry out of water.

RainSoft, A Division of Aquion, Inc. Video
RainSoft, A Division of Aquion, Inc. Gallery (1)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

2268 RainSoft Water Treatment Systems Consumer Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: March 17, 2019

We were in a JCPenney in Aurora, Colorado and RainSoft Water Treatment Systems had the water test for free. We could grab one and test our water, so we did it. We came home and tested our water. RainSoft sent a representative out after they got our results to explain to us all about our water, the hardening, and the softening. We didn’t need a softener at all, but we got the filter. The sales rep that came out was new. We were his third or fourth presentation, but he did very well. He was here longer than he was planning to be here. He tried really hard and did a really good job answering our questions. If he couldn’t answer our questions, he immediately got on the phone with somebody to get them answered.

The installation, on the other hand, was a bit different. We ended up having two days of having the installer come out and the note that the sales rep took while he was here didn’t get transferred to the installer, so when he got on site, he wasn’t prepared for our type of house and where we wanted to put our unit. We were also told that since we don’t have a basement, the unit would sit outside and that RainSoft would be building the shelter that it would sit in. The installer was only able to install part of the system, then he had to come out later. We had to make a compromise on where the unit would fit. Now, the unit sits on our dining room, so it looks like we have a silver torpedo in our dining. He ended up cutting our phone lines when he drilled the holes through the floor to run the pipes and we had the phone company come out and fix that. We were also told that the pipes would not freeze, but they ended up freezing one night.

I had to get electric heaters underneath the house to get everything thawed. Also, when he put the stuff in under the sink, when he rerouted our dishwasher drain and put the drain for the filtration system in, it was backing up into my dishwasher and causing the dishwasher to go into a drain cycle every time we would use the water system. The installation was a bit more frustrating than the sales rep. We also had another guy come out the day after the install because the water was gray. We weren’t informed it could be gray for a while until all the sediments and stuff inside the tank worked its way out in the line. We ended up having another guy come out and do a bit more explanation on that.

The guy that came out and did the install was a little frustrated because he didn’t know all the information. He felt very unprepared when he came out. But he was very friendly to talk to and eager to work with us. He did some stuff above and beyond what he would have had to have done. Overall, the guys have been really good. We can call them up and we get an answer back right away, or they send a tech out within 24 hours. We are 45 miles from the nearest major city and they are still trying to get somebody out here to take care of us, so I am pleased.

Now that everything is settled, the water quality has been tons better. We can drink our water and our ice is so much better. We can ice, so we don’t have to buy bagged ice now. We don’t have to buy bottled water that much. We buy some just to have on hand in case the waterline freezes or we are going somewhere. Overall, we are very happy with the system and I would recommend the system to anybody in our small town.

Get expert buying tips about Water Treatment Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

We moved from a home that didn't have very good water from wherever it was coming from. We noticed a lot of calcium build-up on the faucets over time. There was a lot of hard water stains on the glass door from the shower and rings around the toilet on the inside. We couldn't get most of that stuff off to save our lives. We just purchased a home and moving into it, we didn't want to have any of those issues.

When we were approached to get our water tested, we figured it was not gonna hurt. Crystal came over and did water tests. When we saw the results of the water test, we were kind of a little shocked. I was pretty sure there was gonna be a lot of hard water and a lot of minerals in the water that we probably did not need to be having inside of our appliances, pipes, and ultimately for us to drink. Crystal explained everything to us and kind of demonstrated what the RainSoft water softening system was going to do for us. We got to see and feel the results. After that, we were like, "Wow!" This is something that we kinda wanted to move forward with.

Two gentlemen, Mike and Brian, came over and they installed our water system. They were very professional, knowledgeable, and polite. I got to talk with them a lot and found out that they both have a water softening system in their own homes and have had it for multiple years. To me, that said a lot of pretty good things. They were selling a good product and the people who work for the company also have the exact same product that they were selling and installing. Mike and Brian asked where the system could be installed. They asked how to orient the tanks with the computer screen so I was really involved with them from the get-go. It was a really pleasant experience with the installation. The system looks really good too.

With RainSoft, we noticed our skin feels a lot softer. Our skin doesn't feel really tight when we get out of the shower as where we used to. So far, I haven't had to do any maintenance on the system. I went out to the garage the other week where it's installed, and everything checked out to be fine. RainSoft will be sending out a reminder as filters need to be changed. We also have the reverse osmosis system under the sink. I think those filters need to be changed about once a year and it would be every three to five years for the charcoal in the garage. I'll have to add salt to the system periodically too, but they filled up the tub with salt and I'm still well over halfway on my salt level. I've had a really good experience.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I was looking into buying a new house and I had the water tested. It failed for E. coli, cholera, bacteria, and lead. I had the Triple Duos and failed for all four tests. I was trying to find a company that could correct the system before I make an offer on the house. I was given the names of a couple of companies in the area and RainSoft was one of the companies that came out. I had gotten different estimates and opted to go with RainSoft. I had three different companies come out. One explained everything in their terminology and I had no idea what they were talking about.

The RainSoft reps were very easy to work with. They explained everything to a layman who doesn’t understand the problems with water and what’s involved in it. They explained everything in detail as to how the different systems would work so it’s drinkable water and how it would fix the problems. There are a couple things I didn’t understand though, but I had decided upon them and it really didn’t make a difference. I was stuck with the way the system was. I didn’t realize that correcting for the lead in the water would be a completely different system. You only put it on a faucet that you’re gonna drink from. I wanted it on everything in the house so that I can go drink the water in the bathroom or the water outside from a garden hose, but it’s so expensive to do it that way.

RainSoft was the only company that was willing to do what I wanted. I have a rancher, but it’s a modular house and there is no basement underneath of it. There’s a crawlspace. All the houses I’ve looked at or people that I know that have the system have a basement and everything is physically in the basement. The filters are also in the basement.

I was trying to get everything put into a closet in the third bedroom or on one of the inside walls in that particular bedroom if it wouldn’t fit in the closet because of size constraint. I was trying to get it, so I don’t have to crawl underneath the house to try to change filters or to physically check to see if the system is working. The owner wasn’t sure if the technician could do it. When the technician came out, I explained to him the situation. I am handicapped and I can’t crawl. If I gotta go underneath the house, I gotta sit on my butt to pull myself backward. I was trying to make it convenient for me to be able to check the system and change filters on my own instead of paying somebody else to do it. He was able to explain to me how it was gonna go.

The house has water coming from a well. For some strange reason, whoever put this house up decided to put the main water shut-off in the rear back corner of the house and you gotta crawl from one end of the house all the way to the other end to shut the water off. To me, the main shut-off valve should be placed near where it comes out of the ground or where it first comes into the house. The RainSoft technician put a master shut-off in the closet, just before the entire system. I was very happy with the work he did. He was also very helpful in explaining the entire system to me, how it works, and how I need to maintain it.

The water looks clearer now and it's drinkable. I had asked for an additional test just to have my own peace of mind after the installation was done and they did. They sent me the results and it showed that everything is below what the acceptable levels are. I wouldn’t say crystal clear water, but I have clean water. I would highly recommend RainSoft to anybody that has similar problems.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

We bought an older wartime house, so we wanted to test the water and make sure that there was nothing wrong with the pipes. We got one of the free water tests at Home Depot and we got it back during a consultation. The consultant recommended the RainSoft products to us. He made some good points about RainSoft, so we decided to give it a try. He presented all the information in a way that was factual but still entertaining and it didn’t bore us at all. He was very personable and easy to talk to. He is one of those guys that you feel like you’ve known forever. My husband is usually very quiet and lets me do all the talking, but he was making jokes with the consultant. He had a really good personality. He was also really good with our dog, who is normally a bit of a stinker. He calmed her down and there was a point that our dog was sitting on his lap and just relaxed. He was really awesome.

I’m 100% happy with the installation and the people that installed the products were knowledgeable, fast, and really personable. They had contacted me a couple of days before to give me a heads up about when they would be coming and they called me when they were on the route. They worked really well and were efficient. A lot of workers would just leave fast, but they cleaned up after themselves. Also, our basement isn’t exactly the easiest to get into, but they’ve managed to get in and out without a problem and complaints, which I was impressed because I complain when I go to my basement. They were amazing.

My husband and I have been really happy with the RainSoft products. We got the water softener and the reverse osmosis, and they've been working extremely well. I’ve been absolutely in love with the soft water and reverse osmosis drinking water. It’s the best water I’ve ever had and I’ve never felt healthier. I’m loving the system and I now use fewer body products, especially moisturizers because the water isn’t drying my skin out as much. I also find my hair has been better. I have very curly and frizzy hair and with the softer water, I find that my conditioner can work better and it isn’t being as bad as it normally is.

I’ve been trying to drink the the reverse osmosis water as much as possible and I found I’m getting fewer migraines. When I’m drinking that water with a bit of lemon when I get sick, I feel like I’m getting healthier faster. RainSoft was absolutely amazing and I have zero complaints. I have recommended RainSoft to a couple of friends who have bought houses in the area. I told them to go to Home Depot and get a water test. When we had our house-warming, people were commenting on our water. They asked if we have filtered water or bottled water. They were commenting on how clean the water was.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I received a postcard in the mail for a $20 gift certificate to Walmart which was my go-to store. I called the number and I left a voicemail. Somebody called me back to say that they would have somebody come out to do the water test and that they would bring the $20 gift card. Two different people called me so I called in and confirmed the day and time that somebody would be showing up for the appointment. When the man came out and started doing everything, that’s when I realized it was actually RainSoft, so I was happy about that. However, the man who came out to do the water test was an hour late and he just showed up. I told him that I didn’t think he was coming because the appointment was at 9:30 and it was 10:30 on a Saturday. He said that he was told that he needed to get over here. So, he came in.

When he was doing the tests, I asked him how long it was going to take because I had a girlfriend that was gonna be on her way over. I was trying to tell her about it because she would like it and she did. However, the cost was a concern to her. I told her it was 18 months with no interest. She said that it still breaks down to a lot of money. The guy immediately snapped back at her and and told her that we would have a problem if she kills his show. Even though he was late, we were doing okay but I saw a little bit of a different side of him when he snapped back at her, and that was a little unsettling to me because I told him I’m familiar with the product. Even though I’m a single mom and it’ll be tight on budgeting, I know it was worth it. So, I was frustrated with what he said to my girlfriend.

I got it set up for a Friday morning. And when I was getting it set up, I talked to one of the ladies that I would like an early morning appointment because once a week, I have been coming in late because I’ve been to get things fixed and getting some kind of resolution that might manage what I have going on at home. So, my boss has been frustrated with me about that. That way, I don’t have to take off as much time and that would be great. So the lady went ahead and got it set up for me. She said that they would give me a call when they’re on their way. I told her that my babysitter would be going to other places, watching other people’s kids and she would have to take my daughter with her. I would rather go ahead and be able to go and take my baby to the babysitters before they even get there to install things. That way, once they install everything, I can head straight to work after they’re done.

She confirmed with me the day before and told me it would be anywhere between 7:30 and 8:00 when they get there. However, they did not call before they came, and they rang the doorbell and woke my baby up. They went ahead and they came inside and the salesman ended up telling my girlfriend why she was there. He told her that if she goes ahead and sign up for RainSoft, he would throw in a free osmosis for both of us. That was not something that me and him had even talked about because he didn’t wanna overwhelm me. Being a single mom and not having any kind of extra income except for my own, money is very important to me. So, my girlfriend decided to sign up for it. The guy who came in looked at my sink and told me he cannot put my osmosis in because he didn’t have the drill bit for my sink. He told me that they would call and set that up for me some other time, but he would do the other thing.

He and his friend went downstairs and did the setup. So, I asked him when they came out to install this system how long that actually takes because I needed to go ahead and let my boss know the time that I’ll be coming in. He told me that they would take an hour and a half. After two and a half hours, I went down and asked them how much longer they would be because I needed to get my baby over to the babysitter. He said it would only be 10 more minutes and I told them I couldn’t wait 10 more minutes. I have to leave now because I would take her over there, but she doesn't live too far away, so I can be back within 10 to 15 minutes. He said he needed me to sign a paper and I need to get my water pressure tested because it was high. He showed me where to turn off the water on the system.

I had to go take my baby to the babysitters and I asked them to close the garage when they get done, and they did. About a week and a half went by, and nobody had called me back to put in the osmosis thing. So, I called back and asked when that somebody would be available to come out. I told them that I didn’t want that man coming back out because he was rude to me when it wasn’t my fault. So, the other guy came out to do the osmosis. He was very nice and polite. I liked him a lot. When he got there, he asked me if I was gonna upgrade my sink eventually or upgrade my faucet, and I told them eventually I would like to. He asked me if he could just put it in right there and I wouldn’t have a sprayer thing anymore. I told him that it was not a problem so he went ahead and put it in.

After a couple of weeks, it got loose and I had to call back and get somebody come out there. They ended up sending that other guy out but he couldn’t figure it out, and he said he was gonna call the other guy to come out here. I asked him not to have the guy that first came out because I didn’t like his demeanor. He ignored that and the other guy ended up coming back. He came in and got it fixed within a matter of a few minutes and he was quick. He brought up that I called in and complained to corporate, and he wanted to ask what that was about. I told him that it was the whole process from start to finish. Every component has been horrific from a customer service standpoint. It could have been avoided if the right hand knew what the left hand was doing over there.

Even my girlfriend that signed up, her whole thing has been not good, either. I do know some people that would benefit from their system, but she and I were of the same opinion. We don’t want anybody to go through what we had to go through. Even though the system is great and we love RainSoft, that company that’s out here wheeling and dealing for them either need new management, or they have too much stuff going on. It’s been a frustrating experience. They got it fixed but we ended up having to call back because we didn’t get the liquid soap email. They finally sent that to us last week or the ending of the week but we had to keep calling in to follow up and to touch base. It hasn’t been a pleasant experience but we love the product. Once I knew it was RainSoft, it was guaranteed for me because he also brought up the whole salt package and that should last me for a long time. That wound up paying for itself.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RainSoft, A Division of Aquion, Inc.?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2019

Water Softener unit serviced in Feb. Stopped working last month (August). Call RainSoft and told just to visit is $165!!! I asked what warranty was on work performed in Feb. Answer: 30 days! Lousy customer service! Told them to forget it. I will go without a water softener rather than continue to feed them money for a lousy product!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

Susan, your sales rep, did an outstanding job of displaying the product and selling the need to soften water; however, when we compared the price of the RainSoft products online afterwards we found RainSoft products to be overpriced.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

I lived from a house that had a water softener to a house that did not. It felt like my skin was really dried out. Then I found out about RainSoft at the Home Depot store. Setting up the consultation with the rep was really easy. It was a good experience, and he was very nice. He answered any questions that I had. I bought the whole house unit and under the sink. The installer was a nice young guy. He came out, installed it, and then he was gone. Since using the system, my skin has got so much better.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

When we ran into RainSoft at Home Depot, they were doing a survey. Then, they came out and did their water check. We signed the paperwork and did everything for it. We were really happy with the test. They came out and we asked them about the credit check. They said it was not a bad credit check itself and if it doesn’t, they would come out and install it the next morning as long as we get financed.

They were out here the very next morning installing the system. They ran both my husband's credit and mine three times, hard. But we were like, “Okay, we got the system. It’s financed, whatever.” Somewhere about 12 days later, I called because we got the soap package with it and I couldn’t use any of the points. When I called, the rep couldn’t give me any information because they needed to come back out to do a quality check and make sure the system was running right, which I didn’t know anything about. Nobody had said anything.

The day the rep was supposed to come out, they ran our credit again, 17 days after the system had already been installed. I got into an argument with them over why they were running my credit after it had already been in my house for almost a month and they said that because they hadn’t come out and done their quality check, they could keep running it, which we didn’t know about. So, he said that there’s supposed to be 5 days and they would come out and do it.

Also, we had agreed when we signed to do the paperwork that our payments were gonna be like $136 a month. We were deferring it for so many days. And when she came out, our payments were $286 a month, with deferred for 90 days because it was the best financing she could do. I had the system on my house, so we thought over trying to get something back installed. It was in an absolute, crazy mess and my credit got ruined because they ran it so many times. And they took the system back. $300 a month is crazy. As awesome as the water was, I can’t and that was not what we agreed on at all. We had an absolutely terrible experience with everything except for how the water and the actual system was good. I would not recommend them at all.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

RainSoft's rep came to the neighborhood and knocked on my door. The consultation with him was fine. Plus, my interactions with the installers were all right. The system is something they put out in the yard and attached to the main water line. I've had it for three months, and all in all, the experience was all right.

RainSoft, A Division of Aquion, Inc. expert review by Greg Chick

RainSoft Water Treatment Systems is a company that offers residential customers water and air purification services. The company is headquartered in Elk Grove Village, IL, and they serve customers throughout the world.

• Convenience: There are hundreds of dealers across the world that can install RainSoft products, so the company is a convenient choice for customers throughout many parts of the United States and the world.

• Complimentary water test: The company provides customers with complimentary water tests to see if they are good candidates for water treatment or filtration.

• Taste and smell: RainSoft guarantees that their product will reduce unwanted smells and tastes in consumers' water, which makes it better to drink, wash food with, cook with and bathe in.

• Safe filtration methods: RainSoft uses activated carbon filtration, which is a method that has been deemed safe for use by the Environmental Protection Agency, and they do not use any harsh chemical products in their purification process.

• Movable: The filtration systems manufactured by RainSoft can be moved from home to home, which means customers can take their system with them when they move and that they do not have to purchase multiple systems if they end up choosing to live in multiple homes.

• Best for: Homeowners with hard water, homeowners near a compromised water supply and rural customers using well water.

Profile picture of Greg Chick
Greg Chick Water Treatment Systems Contributing Editor

Greg Chick has worked as an entrepreneur for over 40 years with a background in plumbing, irrigation, pools and water heating. He is a member of Green Plumbers USA, International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials and American Society of Plumbing Engineers. Greg works to educate residential consumers about quality plumbing products.

RainSoft Water Treatment Systems Company Information

RainSoft, A Division of Aquion, Inc.
1953