ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

RainSoft Water Treatment Systems

RainSoft Water Treatment Systems
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.23/5

Since 1953, RainSoft has been a worldwide leader in providing families with premium water treatment and air purification systems. RainSoft is dedicated to designing, manufacturing and offering the industry's most diverse product line of water and air solutions for families like yours.

Our corporate Customer Focus Team ensures that each and every RainSoft customer is satisfied and exceeds every expectation.

A leader in the water treatment industry since 1953, RainSoft takes the worry out of water.

RainSoft - a Pentair Company Video
RainSoft - a Pentair Company Gallery (1)
View More View More

RainSoft Water Treatment Systems Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

We started this with a tiny water sample through Home Depot. We were then contacted to do a larger scale testing at our home. We KNEW how gross our water was and had photos of some of the nastiness and a coffee maker it destroyed. We had a rep come out (Sat) and do the test. She was on time, adorable and professional. The test was interesting. Yes we're pitched with a sale, various options but we were very interested and if you decide to sign up then, you save $2500. We did and chose the above mentioned items for our package. You fill out the paperwork to see if you're able to get financing and you'll be contacted in a few days. I contacted the rep Weds as we'd not heard and she'd just not gotten to us but we were approved.

We scheduled for the following Sat for install. The installer showed up right on time and was very and knowledgeable. He explained what his plan was and we left him to it. He was done in about 2 hours, explained how everything worked very thoroughly, gave his personal cell if any issues etc. He also left 3 bags of salt for us. This is where my lack of 5 stars comes. While signing HIS paperwork, we realize that the "financing papers" we signed with the rep were in fact the contract. In conversation something was said that made us question things. We definitely felt it was very shady. She does NOT tell you that you are signing the actual contract for the system. YOU ARE!!

The reason this matters a ton is because you only have 3 days to cancel from the date you sign that paper!! By the time we realized this, it had been a week. You're stuck. Thankfully we really wanted the system so for us, it didn't matter other than again, it seemed very shady. I made sure I let her know I wasn't happy and it was made to sound like I misunderstood. No I didn't. My fiance and I both are 100% it was NEVER said that it was THE contract. It took about 24 hrs for us to use the old water in the hwh and the new water to start coming through but once it did...OH BOY!! It's like night and day. I call it my silk water. I LOVE it!!

Everything is better. Our skin, our small appliances, the taste..everything! I have noticed with the air purifier that my sneezing is significantly less and I have horrible allergies and A LOT of animals. The CleanStart is super cool and makes everything smell like citrus no matter what laundry products you use. I am just finishing what i have and you need VERY little. With our package we get 5 years of cleaning products. I ordered them Sat and they're expected on Weds. (Today is Monday) So very quick. I cannot review the products yet but they're basically free so...

Our financing allows for 6 months no payments and no down payment. Rainsoft gives 3 months free then we are to receive a check to pay for the following 3 months. I was very worried this is where we'd get screwed. Nope. The check came today! It's very early but it's here so very happy about that! I know the reviews vary greatly for Rainsoft and we've only had it for a full week but other than the lack of contract transparency, so far we are absolutely thrilled with everything!! Just know about that contract before you sign but also remember how much you save if you do sign while the rep is in house. We've heard some pretty bad stuff about the customer service but we've not had to use it yet so time will tell and I will update should things change. So far we are really happy with ALL of it!!

Get expert buying tips about Water Treatment Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

I had solids in my water. It was something that stains porcelains in my bathrooms and my sink. I had a system already but it was very old and I couldn’t rely on it anymore. So, I wanted to upgrade to a new system. I went online and found Carolina Freshwater, the company that installed RainSoft's product. And that one looked like something that was an upgrade from what I had, so that’s what I did.

A salesperson came out from the company and talked to me for three and a half hours, and I couldn’t run him off. He also did the water testing but he was more sales than he was anything. At the time, I already decided to buy the thing, then I just had to go through the program. I got both the water conditioner and softener, and the installation went great. Since then, the water is as I expected. It’s very good and clear. I put my RainSoft in in early November, then I sent off a sample in mid-December to RainSoft, and I haven’t heard anything. But I presume that’s good news.

All in all, I got what I paid for and I’m happy with my experience. The product was extremely expensive, but I knew that going in. I also knew I bought the service and that was what I was going for. I needed someone to service this thing yearly, which they assured me was gonna happen. I have a well and I need this system. I could’ve gone to Lowe's or Home Depot and bought something sort of similar for quite a bit of less money, but then, I would have had to have a plumber come. I just didn’t want to involve myself in going through all that. I wanted a one-shot deal and I pay RainSoft for what it’s worth.

And now, if I have problems, I call Carolina Freshwater and that works for me. In fact, I will contact them in the future about the fact that the RO system sometimes doesn't shut off. It will trickle and you can hear it in the drain for three or four minutes. I'm wondering if I can up the pressure in the RO system within the system itself because I have good water pressure in the rest of the house and I think there’s not enough pressure to adequately shut off. I’ve read about it, but I’m not gonna get down there and tinker around with the fittings. Also, the only thing it feeds is the freshwater on the sink. I have a separate spigot for the RO and it goes to my ice machine. But I haven’t contacted them about it because I wanted to change the refrigerators and see if that ice machine was the problem. It turned out that it wasn’t. So, I’ll contact them about that, too.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

RainSoft sent me a thing in the mail for a free thing of Tide, which I have not received. I was supposed to get that for having my water tested. I got their system and it's outside in the yard. It’s a big thing and it hasn’t much salt in it. I've had the system since October 2nd. The salesman was nice and polite. The installers were nice too, but they did not finish the job. It got dark on them. They said someone would be back the next day. But they ended up running the extension cord and they didn't leave enough wire for the next guy that came out to finish the job, so they told him they needed to rerun the wire. Another guy came out and he was very nice. The third installation guy said he knew how to fix it but he was not a certified electrician, so they won’t let him do it. He would send a certified electrician.

A month went by and went into November. The electrician finally came and he hooked it to the receptacle, but I didn't feel like the wire was buried all the way because it was dark out. I was out there with the installers when they were doing it and I said that I wanted it buried at least deep as their shovel was. They did a couple of feet then I went in. All of a sudden, they were done and I didn't see any dig marks, so I’m pretty sure they did not bury that part. They just kinda threw some dirt over it. Also, I know it’s only a couple inches because I can pull the dirt back with my hand and look. It’s only a couple inches. That’s next to the house where they had run the wire under. It's not likely that the dogs or anything will dig right there. The technicians ended up not running a new wire. I wanted them to run a new wire because if they bury it deep enough, they would have enough room.

I then had to go to North Carolina for a funeral for my nephew and I just got back. I got back like Wednesday night. I didn't know who to call after that. A technician came out but I wasn’t home then. I called my friend and told the technician that my friend was going to be there in 15 minutes. When my friend got there, there was nobody there. I called the number that the tech called me from and said I thought he was gonna bury that to which he said it was already buried. But I think he only checked the system and didn't check the spot. I haven't had a chance to get out there and dig around myself to see. I’m terrified of electricity. Other than to fix the light switch, I’m fine with it. But I’m gonna have a friend of mine come over and kinda dig around out there and see. I guess I could unplug it and then dig around. That would probably be a smart thing to do.

Since having my system installed, I can tell a difference. Everything feels slick like for the shower and the dishes. Somebody was buying salt and I inquired about which salt to buy. He said that he didn't like that thing. It made everything feel slimy because it felt like you couldn't get the soap rinsed off. But it becomes a good feeling after you do it a couple of times. It feels like you’re clean.

Original review: March 17, 2019

We were in a JCPenney in Aurora, Colorado and RainSoft Water Treatment Systems had the water test for free. We could grab one and test our water, so we did it. We came home and tested our water. RainSoft sent a representative out after they got our results to explain to us all about our water, the hardening, and the softening. We didn’t need a softener at all, but we got the filter. The sales rep that came out was new. We were his third or fourth presentation, but he did very well. He was here longer than he was planning to be here. He tried really hard and did a really good job answering our questions. If he couldn’t answer our questions, he immediately got on the phone with somebody to get them answered.

The installation, on the other hand, was a bit different. We ended up having two days of having the installer come out and the note that the sales rep took while he was here didn’t get transferred to the installer, so when he got on site, he wasn’t prepared for our type of house and where we wanted to put our unit. We were also told that since we don’t have a basement, the unit would sit outside and that RainSoft would be building the shelter that it would sit in. The installer was only able to install part of the system, then he had to come out later. We had to make a compromise on where the unit would fit. Now, the unit sits on our dining room, so it looks like we have a silver torpedo in our dining. He ended up cutting our phone lines when he drilled the holes through the floor to run the pipes and we had the phone company come out and fix that. We were also told that the pipes would not freeze, but they ended up freezing one night.

I had to get electric heaters underneath the house to get everything thawed. Also, when he put the stuff in under the sink, when he rerouted our dishwasher drain and put the drain for the filtration system in, it was backing up into my dishwasher and causing the dishwasher to go into a drain cycle every time we would use the water system. The installation was a bit more frustrating than the sales rep. We also had another guy come out the day after the install because the water was gray. We weren’t informed it could be gray for a while until all the sediments and stuff inside the tank worked its way out in the line. We ended up having another guy come out and do a bit more explanation on that.

The guy that came out and did the install was a little frustrated because he didn’t know all the information. He felt very unprepared when he came out. But he was very friendly to talk to and eager to work with us. He did some stuff above and beyond what he would have had to have done. Overall, the guys have been really good. We can call them up and we get an answer back right away, or they send a tech out within 24 hours. We are 45 miles from the nearest major city and they are still trying to get somebody out here to take care of us, so I am pleased.

Now that everything is settled, the water quality has been tons better. We can drink our water and our ice is so much better. We can ice, so we don’t have to buy bagged ice now. We don’t have to buy bottled water that much. We buy some just to have on hand in case the waterline freezes or we are going somewhere. Overall, we are very happy with the system and I would recommend the system to anybody in our small town.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

We moved from a home that didn't have very good water from wherever it was coming from. We noticed a lot of calcium build-up on the faucets over time. There was a lot of hard water stains on the glass door from the shower and rings around the toilet on the inside. We couldn't get most of that stuff off to save our lives. We just purchased a home and moving into it, we didn't want to have any of those issues.

When we were approached to get our water tested, we figured it was not gonna hurt. Crystal came over and did water tests. When we saw the results of the water test, we were kind of a little shocked. I was pretty sure there was gonna be a lot of hard water and a lot of minerals in the water that we probably did not need to be having inside of our appliances, pipes, and ultimately for us to drink. Crystal explained everything to us and kind of demonstrated what the RainSoft water softening system was going to do for us. We got to see and feel the results. After that, we were like, "Wow!" This is something that we kinda wanted to move forward with.

Two gentlemen, Mike and Brian, came over and they installed our water system. They were very professional, knowledgeable, and polite. I got to talk with them a lot and found out that they both have a water softening system in their own homes and have had it for multiple years. To me, that said a lot of pretty good things. They were selling a good product and the people who work for the company also have the exact same product that they were selling and installing. Mike and Brian asked where the system could be installed. They asked how to orient the tanks with the computer screen so I was really involved with them from the get-go. It was a really pleasant experience with the installation. The system looks really good too.

With RainSoft, we noticed our skin feels a lot softer. Our skin doesn't feel really tight when we get out of the shower as where we used to. So far, I haven't had to do any maintenance on the system. I went out to the garage the other week where it's installed, and everything checked out to be fine. RainSoft will be sending out a reminder as filters need to be changed. We also have the reverse osmosis system under the sink. I think those filters need to be changed about once a year and it would be every three to five years for the charcoal in the garage. I'll have to add salt to the system periodically too, but they filled up the tub with salt and I'm still well over halfway on my salt level. I've had a really good experience.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RainSoft - a Pentair Company?

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

We have had Rain Soft installed for about one week and we are thrilled with the results. The Rep came on a Saturday and was super friendly. He did the product demo and we were sold instantly. A few days later, the technicians came out to install the system. Within a few hours they were done and explained everything to us. They even reassured us that if we had any problems that we could call and someone would be by to help. The water is crystal clear and has a smooth taste. I am glad we have this system.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
    Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

I was contacted about yearly service. I scheduled a appointment, I received a call a couple days later saying I had to change the appointment. I was busy at work during this call. I informed them to call back at a later time that day, which the lady agreed to, so I could get it reschedule and I am still waiting. It was been over a week. My wife and I feel we were forgot about once we paid for the system. With that being said, yes the system works but I do think we could have gone with a cheaper product and received the same results and customer service.

RainSoft Water Treatment Systems response

Hi Timothy, and thank you for reaching out to us. We have contacted your local RainSoft dealer and have determined there was a scheduling misunderstanding. They will be reaching out to you to reschedule the service appointment for a time that is convenient for you, and, will waive the service fee. Please let us know if we can be of additional assistance.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2020

Do not ever buy the system. I was talked into buying it with stating from salesman that they will give me four year interest free with two of the two year interest free term. After the first term is done now they do not want to honor it saying we do not have that and that salesman not apparently does not work there anymore. They have did me dirty big time and I would never recommend them. DO NOT BUY FROM THEM AND HOME DEPOT. THEY ARE THE WORST.

RainSoft Water Treatment Systems response

Thank you for reaching out to us with your concern. We have contacted your local RainSoft dealer, who has now spoken with you directly to help resolve this issue. If we can be of any additional assistance, please let us know.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

We're on a well so the water isn't treated. I've been dealing with Baltimore Water Conditioning for about 15 years and then there came a RainSoft dealer about 4 years ago. When my old conditioner finally failed, I was offered a deal on a new one. The customer service is excellent and beyond expectations. We've been dealing with the technician named Tom and he has been handling our problem for 15 or more years. He is super. I was very impressed with RainSoft overall.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

I had just recently moved to St. Pete Beach and I noticed the water was horrible. I was in a local Home Depot and someone asked if I wanted to have my water tested, and I said, “Well, I’d better,” but I had no plan on doing anything and I’m not proactive when it comes to this stuff. And they came and I had to put it off for a few months. They called in a few months and I let them come and I was blown away. Brianna, the woman that came, was terrific. Everything about RainSoft's customer service was A1. It renewed my faith in humanity, in salesmanship, because they deliver. I just love it. I come from Boston and there is a marked difference. It’s much more relaxed. And down here, nothing’s pushed on you. You are still getting credit just for having a brain and can make a decision, but all the evidence was there right in front of me. It wasn’t jammed down your throat.

And then ever since, I’ve just been so pleasantly surprised at the water quality. The dishes looked clean. Finally, I feel clean. It’s unbelievable. People should know how bad what they are drinking is. I never feel this way about many things we’re having, but it’s basic - water is your life. And if you look at what we were drinking and you see what we are drinking now, it’s night and day.

RainSoft - a Pentair Company expert review by Greg Chick

RainSoft Water Treatment Systems is a company that offers residential customers water and air purification services. The company is headquartered in Elk Grove Village, IL, and they serve customers throughout the world.

• Convenience: There are hundreds of dealers across the world that can install RainSoft products, so the company is a convenient choice for customers throughout many parts of the United States and the world.

• Complimentary water test: The company provides customers with complimentary water tests to see if they are good candidates for water treatment or filtration.

• Taste and smell: RainSoft guarantees that their product will reduce unwanted smells and tastes in consumers' water, which makes it better to drink, wash food with, cook with and bathe in.

• Safe filtration methods: RainSoft uses activated carbon filtration, which is a method that has been deemed safe for use by the Environmental Protection Agency, and they do not use any harsh chemical products in their purification process.

• Movable: The filtration systems manufactured by RainSoft can be moved from home to home, which means customers can take their system with them when they move and that they do not have to purchase multiple systems if they end up choosing to live in multiple homes.

• Best for: Homeowners with hard water, homeowners near a compromised water supply and rural customers using well water.

by Greg Chick Water Treatment Systems Contributing Editor

Greg Chick has worked as an entrepreneur for over 40 years with a background in plumbing, irrigation, pools and water heating. He is a member of Green Plumbers USA, International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials and American Society of Plumbing Engineers. Greg works to educate residential consumers about quality plumbing products.

RainSoft Water Treatment Systems Company Information