4.6/5 (384 ratings)

About RainSoft Water Treatment Systems

RainSoft manufacturers and sells water conditioning and water filtration systems for residential customers. A water expert can visit your home for a free water analysis. RainSoft offers solutions for whole-home hard water conditioning to improve bathing, washing dishes and doing laundry. The company also focuses on drinking water solutions to improve water taste and clarity.

Pros

• Referral program
  • Limited lifetime warranty
  • Free in-home water analysis
  • Energy-efficient options

Cons

• No salt-free softeners
  • Pricing not available online

Bottom Line

RainSoft offers traditional, salt-based water softeners and drinking water carbon filtration systems. Customers can visit the website to schedule a free in-home water analysis and find a local dealer to get a quote.

Top RainSoft Water Treatment Systems Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about RainSoft - a Pentair Company?

Verified

We did a home water test through our town and RainSoft tagged our mailbox… The guy who came out was very knowledgeable and professional. He showed us everything we needed to see a...

Verified

So far, everything is working out very good with our RainSoft… My husband and I decided that we wanna try it out. And so far, we love it. The sales rep was very good and helpful. ...

What is RainSoft?

RainSoft produces water conditioning and water filtration systems intended for the whole home or a single point of use. The company offers a free in-home water analysis for those unsure of what they need in their homes.

RainSoft offers three water softener systems that address hard water issues:

• The EC5 is a premium, computer-controlled, whole-home water softener system that is available in various configurations to fit your needs. It connects to the RainSoft Remind app for low salt notifications and filter change reminders. The system automatically responds to your water use, and the computer control saves water, salt and electricity.
  • The EC5-CAB system saves on salt and water consumption by using shorter cycles based on home water use. It comes with an easy-to-read display and distinctive alarm tones. You can customize the system’s functions to fit your family’s needs, and it's designed to deliver an uninterrupted supply of conditioned water.
  • The TC-M series is available in various configurations to fit your home. It's energy-efficient and self-cleaning, and the high flow rates deliver a consistent supply of water.

For drinking water purification, RainSoft offers:

• The Ultrefiner II is RainSoft’s premium drinking water system. It uses three high-quality, multistage filters to purify tap water and remove small particles, lead, copper, chromium, VOC and chlorine. It comes with a lead-free faucet. The cartridge is interchangeable, which creates less waste than systems that require the whole filter to be removed.
  • The Hydrefiner II reduces chlorine and other particles that cause bad taste and odors. Each cartridge treats up to 830 gallons of water.

RainSoft also sells problem-specific filters to address individual water issues and systems, including the CleanStart laundry system, which oxidizes tap water to disinfect clothes.

How does the RainSoft system work?

RainSoft water conditioner systems soften water for the whole home using a salt-based ion exchange process powered by electricity. The systems are installed where the water enters your home from the municipal supply. Some systems are designed to provide a continuous supply of softened water, while others have computerized controls that respond to your family’s water use and produce softened water on demand.

While many of the models have self-cleaning and regeneration cycles, most also require filter changes, adding salt and some maintenance. Models come with replacement reminder alarms or connect to an app that alerts you when the system needs attention.

RainSoft water softener cost

RainSoft doesn’t disclose its water softener prices on its website. Its products are available for purchase through local dealers, so if you’re interested in buying a RainSoft system, contact a local dealer for a free in-home water analysis and quote.

RainSoft FAQ

How long do RainSoft water softeners last?
RainSoft water softeners are built to last for years. All systems come with a limited lifetime warranty. You or your service provider will need to replace filters or cartridges and perform maintenance on the system.
Does RainSoft remove lead?
RainSoft water filtration systems that employ carbon filters, such as the Ultrefiner II and Hydrefiner II, remove lead. Water softeners do not remove lead.
Does RainSoft remove chlorine?
RainSoft’s drinking water systems, the Ultrefiner II and Hydrefiner II, reduce chlorine using carbon filtration. RainSoft water softeners do not remove chlorine.

Is RainSoft worth it?

RainSoft offers several solutions for home water softening and drinking water filtration and has systems that can be combined for maximum performance. For customers experiencing multiple water issues, a RainSoft water expert helps determine the problems and customize a home system configured to solve them all.

RainSoft Water Treatment Systems Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RainSoft Water Treatment Systems?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about RainSoft - a Pentair Company?

Original review: Oct. 3, 2022

RainSoft gave us $30 gift cards for buying the product. We went through Home Depot, which was how we got the system. A sales lady came up and asked if we wanted to have our water tested, and I said, "Yeah. Let's do that." I know how bad the water is here and I wanted them to do that just so I know. I'm glad they did because I found out that the water I was buying from the store was junk. I was just throwing my money away. I put the alkaline unit underneath my sink too. I've been drinking alkaline water for 17 years. I used to go to the store and buy cases of it, and I would spend about $100 a month on it. I would then go to a water place, and I used to buy five gallons because I use it in my coffee. Everything's great with the unit.

I had RainSoft for 12 years when I used to live in Cal City, but when I moved, I left the system with the house. When I finally bought another house, my water was very hard. I have sensitive hands, and since I burned them with hydrochloric acid, a lot of the hard water usually dried it out bad. I had a RainSoft system installed about a year and a half later. I didn't know they were still in business, but that there bought me too because that shows how long the company has been in business, for how great the product is.

Everything works fantastic, and I love the product. It's just it's taking so long to finalize. I take time off from work, so I'm home and here to help with whatever they need or move things out 'cause I know how it is. It took them three days to install the system. While I don't have a problem with that, they've been out several times now to fix things because the inspector wanted all the lines ran insulated because it freezes here. RainSoft had a gentleman come out, and he started insulating in the garage, but he didn't have enough stuff to do it. He was also too big to be in the attic to do that. So he couldn't finish the other parts of my house.

Get buying tips about Water Treatment Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 25, 2022

The consultant that came out was very transparent about everything. I felt she was very genuine and she had scientific reports and different things to show that she wasn't just giving us the line, “Ooh, you need this because of this.” She was showing us actual facts about our water and what can be in the water. The phrase that sealed the deal for us was when she told us that one of the leading causes of stomach cancer was ingesting chlorine. Then we found out that our tap water has one of the highest chlorine contents it could be legally, and then she showed us the website where there's water testing done on the tap. There were lots of chemicals found in the tap water in our area from the carpet manufacturing industry as well.

It took us a couple of weeks to get everything put in place because when my home was built, they walled in the water main access so the guys kinda had a little bit of a hard time locating that and that was what was holding it back. The installers were very friendly, very nice, and very open about everything as far as what was kind of hindering the process, but once they found the water main in our house, the install took about 30 minutes and it was pretty pain-free. It was quick and over with before I knew it.

I truly felt like our water was damaging us because my skin has been a complete 180 pretty much from what it was before we got that water filtration system put in. My skin is more hydrated and I'm noticing a difference in my hair. My hair has more volume. It looks a lot more healthy and hydrated just from the water change. I've not changed any of my products other than using some of the soaps that they kinda gave us a package deal with. I've been using some of those products and I can tell the biggest difference in the cleanliness in my home. My showers are cleaner. It's really crazy how much a difference it makes in my whole home.

With the reverse osmosis system that I put in for our drinking water, I can tell it’s very different in how I feel after drinking some of that water. I've never felt that water really served me any purpose for drinking it but I want to drink water now. It makes everything taste better when I cook with it. My coffee tastes better. It's made a huge difference. I've been able to use just water to clean my kitchen and degrease my stove with just the osmosis water. It's been insane what I've been able to do with just water.

Original review: April 10, 2022

We had two other companies come in. When Matt came in, the rep of RainSoft, he was the last one for the day and we immediately connected with him more than the other guys. The other guys felt like they were pushing us to buy, so we didn't like it. Matt was very personable. Also, Rainsoft is a treatment system that we didn't even know we wanted.

It was funny because he said, "You tell me what you guys want and I'll help you out. Do you want the short, sweet version or do you want the long drawn-out everything?" We had just had two long drawn-out ones for the last two and a half hours so, we went, "Short and sweet is wonderful." But we still wanted him to test the water and do the key points to compare Rainsoft with the others. They all came out the same. The only difference was something about the way he did it and what came out was much better in the way he did it. He even tested our pool and said, "Your pool water is safer to drink than your home water." He got a phone call and said, "I hate to do this, but this is a family situation. Do you mind if I take this?" My wife said, "Let him take it." He took the call because my wife wanted to talk. It was perfect timing. When he came back in, my wife said, "I want it. How soon can we get it?"

We fell in love with a handful of the natural supplies that came with it. Some of them, we didn't really need it. Matt said he was going to swap them out for us. The multi-purpose cleaner, you could do different levels of concentration and it really cleans. The kitchen cleaner, that's one of those where we're like, "We'll use it until it's gone." But it has a nice lemon scent to it, but we can't really tell if it's doing anything. The glass cleaner works wonderfully. We love it.

The guy that came out and installed asked me what I wanted, where I wanted it, and he even cleaned up after himself. He was great, efficient and very nice. Did a great job and it looks clean. It's done well. It's not an eyesore. From the third day we had this, it was an instant wow. Huge change, significantly better. We have noticed that we use way less shampoo, less soap, laundry detergent. Skin is softer, we feel better. The hardest part is trying to get used to when you wash your hands. It still feels like you have soap on your hands. But the dishes are dry when they're done. It's amazing.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2022

I recently tried to contact RainSoft because the arrangement that we have is, once the salt level drops to a certain level, they would come out and fill it out for us for free the first go. So, I called four different numbers. I called one on the receipt that they gave me when I bought it, and it didn't work. It was out of order. Then I called their 1800 number and finally got somebody, but I was told I called the wrong number. It made me feel like I was not able to make a phone call properly, which was rather not very exciting. It was difficult getting in touch with them and the person I talked to was very indifferent about the whole discussion. She sounded like she really didn't care and gave me a you-know-what about what I was trying to say. She was like, "Do you want the appointment or not?" It was like, "Dude, you're an idiot for calling the wrong number."

The guy who pitched us initially said, "You're either the type of person who completely goes for this or you don't," and I agree with that. We're the type that really liked this idea but an advice I would give is to get a contact number that works. Also, they said, "Yeah, you get a free refill because you bought the big package. Just give us a call. We'll be out in a couple of days." That was not the case. I finally got an appointment, but it's four weeks out. So, I went to Home Depot and bought a bag of salt because I was running out of it. I would tell others to be wary of those kind of interactions that they claim that they do. Other than that, the system itself is great. The water is definitely softer. It's more drinkable. The system itself is set up in the garage. It seems to work pretty well. It cleans itself. It regenerates itself every 7 to 10 days. We've been really happy with it. The quality of the water that we have is much better.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2021

The rep was very knowledgeable and had a lot of good information for us. He was here on Friday, and they were out here Saturday morning putting the system in. They were on the ball and Johnny-on-the-spot. They spent all day that Saturday putting it in with two guys. And they did an excellent job. They drilled a little purification tap by the sink faucet in the kitchen. That way, we can get pure water out of that. Because these old faucets are so crusty until we get them replaced.

After a couple of days, we noticed a difference in the taste and how it looked. It didn't have high iron, hydrochloric gas. And the water was eroding the rocks on the property, there were rock crystals forming in the water and they have corroded all of the bathroom faucets and fixtures to where they aren't working. We have to replace them all because that well water damaged everything, even the garbage disposal. They are all rusted out and our home warranty doesn’t even cover them. The house is only 15 years old.

This one does the whole house. It's more expensive, but how many times do we want to replace our fixtures over the years? Calcification and iron deposits, and that smell of that gas coming out of the sink. We aren’t getting to it in time. The fixtures were out so bad that the faucets are leaking and we can't even run the Jacuzzi tub water anymore. The fixtures just are worn out and the parts are broken off from the rock in the water.

We didn't know RainSoft would provide service to come out and bring the 40-pound bags of salt. And we had ordered one. So, we were wondering how in the world we were going to haul these bags we were told to get at the store. Then we have to take a scoop and scoop it in little by little. But one plumber came over that day and he lifted up the 40-pound bag and poured it in for us. He was so kind to do that. We made a comment online to the RainSoft that we wish they would allow their customers to order directly from them and have someone come and service it and put it in because it's too much for us being seniors. They said they could do that, but they didn't make it well-known upfront.

We couldn't get door-to-door shipment from Lake Worth because they said, “Just come pick it up.” We had this guy from the store put it in the car because it was too much for us. But when we get it in the trunk, then how are we going to get it in the house? We have to drag it all the way and maybe tear the bag. It did not sound very feasible and it is a lot of struggle to do it the hard way. It costs a little more to have RainSoft service, but they will reset the system when we don't know how to do that, when they add the salt bags to it. So, we're very pleased that they have that service. Get the RainSoft. It solved our problem and we would recommend it to anybody. We're very happy with it.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2022

I had a RainSoft EC4 system installed 1 month ago. I wasn't sure it was working properly since we didn't see many of the changes the salesman said would occur. I purchased a professional water test kit and tested our water for hardness. It was the same result the salesman got with his kit, proving the system was not working properly. I am supposed to have a service rep coming tomorrow to see why the system is not functioning. I would recommend getting a good hardness test kit and performing your own test following installation just to make sure. Hopefully the problem will be rectified and this is a fluke. I will write another review if the problem is corrected. I will also write one if it is not.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2022

Rainsoft told me if I were to sell my house, they would move the system for free. I also get all these products for life like the soap. The parts were guaranteed for life too. Everything was very promising. I love my water. There’s a big difference. Our hair and skin are softer. When you wash your teeth and rinse your mouth, it doesn't gross you out because the water is super clean. The faucets don't get dirty. When you wash your car, it’s amazingly clean. There are no stains on the windows. We're very happy. My boyfriend's birthday was two weeks ago and I had everybody taste my water. They love it too. The system saves me a lot of money. It's very expensive, but I don't have to buy water anymore. It's worth it. One thing I'm disappointed with however is if I would've paid in cash, it would have been less money. They didn't offer that option.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2022

We're really enjoying Rainsoft. Everything seems to be everything I wanted. We’re really happy with it. The installer was also polite and he did a professional job.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2022

The installation was very clean. It's some gold package we got. It came with the water filtration system under the sink. And it has two large tanks sitting outside with salt. I noticed the softness and taste of the water. Get RainSoft.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2022

The RainSoft rep that came to the house was great. It felt like we were just talking to a family member. He knew what he was doing. He was good about talking to us and explaining everything. I'm from New Orleans so the water is different than California. I kept telling him when I was sampling the softener that my hands feel like I'm in New Orleans. I liked the taste of the water and the softness. I told my husband we gotta get RainSoft. I love it. Get it.

RainSoft Water Treatment Systems Company Information