4.7/5 (371 ratings)

About RainSoft Water Treatment Systems

RainSoft manufacturers and sells water conditioning and water filtration systems for residential customers. A water expert can visit your home for a free water analysis. RainSoft offers solutions for whole-home hard water conditioning to improve bathing, washing dishes and doing laundry. The company also focuses on drinking water solutions to improve water taste and clarity.

Pros

• Referral program
  • Limited lifetime warranty
  • Free in-home water analysis
  • Energy-efficient options

Cons

• No salt-free softeners
  • Pricing not available online

Bottom Line

RainSoft offers traditional, salt-based water softeners and drinking water carbon filtration systems. Customers can visit the website to schedule a free in-home water analysis and find a local dealer to get a quote.

Top RainSoft Water Treatment Systems Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about RainSoft - a Pentair Company?

Verified

We did a home water test through our town and RainSoft tagged our mailbox… The guy who came out was very knowledgeable and professional. He showed us everything we needed to see a...

Verified

So far, everything is working out very good with our RainSoft… My husband and I decided that we wanna try it out. And so far, we love it. The sales rep was very good and helpful. ...

What is RainSoft?

RainSoft produces water conditioning and water filtration systems intended for the whole home or a single point of use. The company offers a free in-home water analysis for those unsure of what they need in their homes.

RainSoft offers three water softener systems that address hard water issues:

• The EC5 is a premium, computer-controlled, whole-home water softener system that is available in various configurations to fit your needs. It connects to the RainSoft Remind app for low salt notifications and filter change reminders. The system automatically responds to your water use, and the computer control saves water, salt and electricity.
  • The EC5-CAB system saves on salt and water consumption by using shorter cycles based on home water use. It comes with an easy-to-read display and distinctive alarm tones. You can customize the system’s functions to fit your family’s needs, and it's designed to deliver an uninterrupted supply of conditioned water.
  • The TC-M series is available in various configurations to fit your home. It's energy-efficient and self-cleaning, and the high flow rates deliver a consistent supply of water.

For drinking water purification, RainSoft offers:

• The Ultrefiner II is RainSoft’s premium drinking water system. It uses three high-quality, multistage filters to purify tap water and remove small particles, lead, copper, chromium, VOC and chlorine. It comes with a lead-free faucet. The cartridge is interchangeable, which creates less waste than systems that require the whole filter to be removed.
  • The Hydrefiner II reduces chlorine and other particles that cause bad taste and odors. Each cartridge treats up to 830 gallons of water.

RainSoft also sells problem-specific filters to address individual water issues and systems, including the CleanStart laundry system, which oxidizes tap water to disinfect clothes.

How does the RainSoft system work?

RainSoft water conditioner systems soften water for the whole home using a salt-based ion exchange process powered by electricity. The systems are installed where the water enters your home from the municipal supply. Some systems are designed to provide a continuous supply of softened water, while others have computerized controls that respond to your family’s water use and produce softened water on demand.

While many of the models have self-cleaning and regeneration cycles, most also require filter changes, adding salt and some maintenance. Models come with replacement reminder alarms or connect to an app that alerts you when the system needs attention.

RainSoft water softener cost

RainSoft doesn’t disclose its water softener prices on its website. Its products are available for purchase through local dealers, so if you’re interested in buying a RainSoft system, contact a local dealer for a free in-home water analysis and quote.

RainSoft FAQ

How long do RainSoft water softeners last?
RainSoft water softeners are built to last for years. All systems come with a limited lifetime warranty. You or your service provider will need to replace filters or cartridges and perform maintenance on the system.
Does RainSoft remove lead?
RainSoft water filtration systems that employ carbon filters, such as the Ultrefiner II and Hydrefiner II, remove lead. Water softeners do not remove lead.
Does RainSoft remove chlorine?
RainSoft’s drinking water systems, the Ultrefiner II and Hydrefiner II, reduce chlorine using carbon filtration. RainSoft water softeners do not remove chlorine.

Is RainSoft worth it?

RainSoft offers several solutions for home water softening and drinking water filtration and has systems that can be combined for maximum performance. For customers experiencing multiple water issues, a RainSoft water expert helps determine the problems and customize a home system configured to solve them all.

RainSoft Water Treatment Systems Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RainSoft Water Treatment Systems?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about RainSoft - a Pentair Company?

Original review: Nov. 30, 2021

The rep was very knowledgeable and had a lot of good information for us. He was here on Friday, and they were out here Saturday morning putting the system in. They were on the ball and Johnny-on-the-spot. They spent all day that Saturday putting it in with two guys. And they did an excellent job. They drilled a little purification tap by the sink faucet in the kitchen. That way, we can get pure water out of that. Because these old faucets are so crusty until we get them replaced.

After a couple of days, we noticed a difference in the taste and how it looked. It didn't have high iron, hydrochloric gas. And the water was eroding the rocks on the property, there were rock crystals forming in the water and they have corroded all of the bathroom faucets and fixtures to where they aren't working. We have to replace them all because that well water damaged everything, even the garbage disposal. They are all rusted out and our home warranty doesn’t even cover them. The house is only 15 years old.

This one does the whole house. It's more expensive, but how many times do we want to replace our fixtures over the years? Calcification and iron deposits, and that smell of that gas coming out of the sink. We aren’t getting to it in time. The fixtures were out so bad that the faucets are leaking and we can't even run the Jacuzzi tub water anymore. The fixtures just are worn out and the parts are broken off from the rock in the water.

We didn't know RainSoft would provide service to come out and bring the 40-pound bags of salt. And we had ordered one. So, we were wondering how in the world we were going to haul these bags we were told to get at the store. Then we have to take a scoop and scoop it in little by little. But one plumber came over that day and he lifted up the 40-pound bag and poured it in for us. He was so kind to do that. We made a comment online to the RainSoft that we wish they would allow their customers to order directly from them and have someone come and service it and put it in because it's too much for us being seniors. They said they could do that, but they didn't make it well-known upfront.

We couldn't get door-to-door shipment from Lake Worth because they said, “Just come pick it up.” We had this guy from the store put it in the car because it was too much for us. But when we get it in the trunk, then how are we going to get it in the house? We have to drag it all the way and maybe tear the bag. It did not sound very feasible and it is a lot of struggle to do it the hard way. It costs a little more to have RainSoft service, but they will reset the system when we don't know how to do that, when they add the salt bags to it. So, we're very pleased that they have that service. Get the RainSoft. It solved our problem and we would recommend it to anybody. We're very happy with it.

Get buying tips about Water Treatment Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2021

When I moved here, I want to start afresh. RainSoft called us from Home Depot and they wanted to come and show me something. So I said, “Yeah, sure.” The company did an awesome presentation job. It wasn't just, the rep came and said, “Hey, taste this water and taste this one.” He explained what the whole water process and how the city cleans it and what we're drinking. It was very helpful. He could sell you anything. He was very patient. He answered all my questions. I had to go because I was working. He ran over his time and he wrapped it up quickly. He understood. It wasn't like he got frustrated because he had to cut his presentation in half. And the guy convinced me because at the time it was not in the budget. I buy a lot of bottled water. Not only will it save me time and money, but I wouldn't have to be worried all the time about the water I use for cooking.

The people who installed were very good. Usually, when people install things, we end up having to clean a mess. But they left everything neat and clean. It was raining that day. They even took off their shoes. They respected my home. The last person that came was the inspector to make sure everything was installed right. He answered whatever questions I had remembered to ask this time.

At first, I didn't like the water. The texture was weird to me. But now, I'm used to the water. My son likes it, and he drinks a lot of water. I just find that when the water sits where the dish rack is, it also turns pink. I figured, with the salt and the whole process, that wouldn't happen anymore. But it is happening. Almost the same as it was happening in the old house. Other than that, I'm very happy.

I know it's costly and not within my budget. I'm making extra ways of putting it into my budget. But I find it worth it. I've tried to convince my sisters, but they said, “I don't know. Let's see how you feel in six months.” So the price is the only thing that would deter anyone from going ahead and getting it. Other than that, it's great. I've even had a plumber come by and he has the same thing. He also sells purifiers. He could have said to me, “This is bad. Let me give you my stuff” but he said, “Hey, this is great water.” He also gave it a good rating and said that it was a wonderful idea that I did it. Because after a while, my pipes would start corroding with the kind of sewage system we have here. A lot of people should look into it. Too bad, it's not that affordable.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2021

We had a RainSoft system years ago and our water was crystal clear and drinkable on that. But a pipe busted loose and it soaked the system one night and ruined it. At the time, it was $1,500 to fix it, and financially, it wasn't in our budget, so we went with Culligan and we rented one. We had it for several years and I finally just bought it off rather than paying monthly. We had to call again and I was looking for someone to come and tell me what was wrong with ours. The water smelled and our tub and toilet were turning brown. We were on a well. Also, my wife has digestive issues, and we felt the water was doing part of that. We had bought a water cooler-heater kind of deal, but we started to see about a water softener. I got online and somehow I ended up at HomeAdvisor and they gave me RainSoft's number and I called.

We couldn't remember what we had had prior to. When they said RainSoft, it rang a bell in my head and it was the first one we had and we really liked. The representative tested our water and we decided to go ahead and buy a new one. We just had it for about 30 days or so. I paid all my bills online and I actually forgot about it. I let it slide by me until the 8th and I woke up that morning thinking that I listed it on my computer as Aqua. It came up with some other name that I'd saved the page to. I made a payment on it then I got a phone call about three hours later at work from a man from Aqua Finance.

I knew he was calling to ask why I hadn't made a payment yet. But then, he pulled up my account and said that I already did. I told him that it was coincidental that he called me that day 'cause I just made it. I hate being late. I pay prior to before I'm late and I was late on my very first payment. He was so easy to talk to, gracious, and he apologized for even calling me. Since having it, the water is not as smelly. We also got our tub back to white and it's staying white, so that's really a good deal. More importantly, my wife is doing good. I might have saved a little bit of money with Culligan, but I was already sold out to RainSoft from my first experience, so I was really happy with it.

I just wish we'd move 30 days faster because we've been dealing with it for several years and we finally got to a point and think that maybe it's the water. I went and spent $200, $300 to buy this cooler water just before we got ahold of RainSoft and we haven't used it since. I could have saved a couple hundred dollars. Then I didn't quite understand their financing. It's like a credit card versus a regular bill. They said that the paperwork they sent was a credit card. I paid off $150. I'm not gonna pay $30 a month. If I get that paid off, I got a one or two saying that they'll come and check it in two years. But now, the rep said it was $190, and they do a check up on it and change the seals. I wanted to know if they put that on that card, or is it a revolving account that we would have with them or is it was we pay it off, does that card deal end. But then it is not really important to me because we just paid them.

Original review: May 29, 2021

The guy that came out from RainSoft was knowledgeable. The crew that came out the first time was good. But I've had the crews out 3 or 4 times already because I've been going through a lot of problems with the softener. Hopefully, this kind of resolves some of the problems. But the water's great. It's soft and the system's working really good. My wife and I like it. I'm glad I did it. I should have done it 26 years ago because that's how long I've been out there where I live. I'm up in the hill country and the water is terrible up there. There's a lot of calcium in it.

There are some things that I'm still not happy with RainSoft, like the shelter that they put on. They were at my house 3 days ago and moved it from where they first installed it to further down from the side of my house. The only thing I don't like is if I have to put salt or check the system on how much I'm using, I have to remove all of that. There are no doors on there to open up and that shelter is heavy. Now, they've put two shelters because everything was exposed on the outside. I had told them about that already. For me to take the most expensive system and spend over $10,000 for that, I shouldn't have to be moving all this stuff. They should come out and put doors on it. I have to take the roof off, which is going to consist of me and my wife doing, then I have to move the whole shelter back. Whenever I need salt, I got to do that. I'm gonna have to do that also for the bleach container because that's got a separate shelter on it too.

I had a leak a few weeks later and they fixed it. The quality assurance lady came out. I told her, "We're not going in the house. I want to show you everything that's done back here at my house, what they installed." She came back there and said, "I'm not even happy looking at this." She took a bunch of pictures. I asked, "What are you going to do with these pictures?" She told me she was going to send them to corporate and I'd be hearing back from them. I've got hard lines that go on the outside and I can't have this stuff tapped into my hard lines because I've got a big koi pond and didn't want none of that stuff killed. They said it doesn't kill this stuff. Plus, that bleach container kept kicking on when we were putting the outside lines. When they were here a few days ago, they put a brand-new module. The one that was on it was bad but that took care of that.

Original review: April 20, 2021

We have been a RainSoft consumer owner since we first moved in our house about 20 years ago. We needed a new development and there was a salesman that came through. We had a demo on it and we kind of looked at the unit and then we had it installed. We went through some water testing with it. We were able to see where it did have some residual materials in it that was causing surface tension issues with the water.

The first time we had a unit was like an eye opening because we had just moved into our new home. That was more like testing of the water and going through some different things. We looked at adding a surfactant. That set us on the path to think about really putting something in for our whole house water management. Then we just recently replaced that original unit because we got to a point where the filters were no longer functioning properly. I didn't receive any information or mail about having any kind of checkups. So, I got in touch with our local dealer at that point, which turned out to really be a good move, because they came out, took a look at what we had and we were able to upgrade our system and maintain it. I don’t want to stick with the same system that we've gotten into. I wanted one that's going to allow me a little more flexibility so I don't have to do reverse osmosis and cleaning every week.

Since we've had the new unit, we did cut back on some of our laundry detergents. The most noticeable thing right now is that we feel like we're using it a little more efficiently. We had a unit where we have both the main water line coming into the filtration unit with the solar salt. Then we had the second reverse osmosis tank, where you kind of run off and then that goes into your drinking water and everything. The guy that came in was pretty informative. He did a great job of converting that system with very minimal impact on our day-to-day things. He got in. He was able to get the tank removed out and then get the entire system replaced with minimal impact to changing our schedule and getting us up and running. We were at a point where our water flow was really being inhibited because of the coconut shell and stuff like that that goes into that filter system. The main unit was pretty much sludgy.

We had gotten our money's worth out of it for not knowing that there was any kind of yearly checkup kind of maintenance that you're supposed to do. The guy showed us everything. He talked me through everything. He didn't have to upsell me on anything, but he did provide what some of the benefits were going to be if we did look at improving the system to where we are now. We could have stuck with what we had and just replace the filters. But I really felt it was the right thing to do when I talked to him with his experiences.

We've been very satisfied with the system itself. We do the refrigeration unit where we've got the water running in for drinking water. We don't use it through the sink anymore, but you can tell a difference in the reverse osmosis system with drinking water. It's not that our sink water isn't drinkable. You can tell there's a little bit of just a purity difference in it when you do drink it. We're noticing how different the water is with some of the neighbor's houses just like the water we get out of our sink that we use for cooking.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2022

Rainsoft did the treatment tests and they were showing us exactly what our water looks like when it came to the chemicals in it. Everything has gone really well from the sale. They told us if we needed any assistance with the products that they could send a technician out pretty quickly and have them look at the system. If it needed to be fixed or a part needed to be replaced, they would do it right away.

We would always have to buy massive amounts of bottled water. Now, my kids actually drink the tap water that comes through the system. We're not having to worry about hazardous chemicals in the bottles or the amount of money it takes to get them to drink water. Also, we don't have a smell or grimy feeling on our clothes. Most of my kids and I have allergies. The RainSoft system has helped tremendously with people getting sick. Also, the air quality in our house has improved dramatically.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2022

The sales rep was a salesman. He could talk, but was very polite, tactful and outgoing. He had a great personality. He didn't overkill anything. The installation guy was very quiet. Whenever he was done, he showed my husband how the system worked. Initially, we were told that it was going to take approximately X amount of time, but it took a little bit longer. But I was okay with that because he did fabulous work. Everything was tight, secure and very neat.

We've had the system about two months and I've noticed I don't have to use as much shampoo. We don't have to use as much dish soap. I can use my razor longer. There's no rust. The only thing is the finance company sends out way too much documents, flyers and mailings, and it’s overwhelming. My husband made a comment that we just bought a house and within 30 days, they already sold the loan for the system. But RainSoft is fantastic. I have recommended them and I've asked each person that I've recommended and put on the list if they've been called, and they haven't received any calls wanting to schedule anything. The company that set us up with the appointment told us that you'll get a gift card to Home Depot by having a guy come in and do a demo but that's not correct. You have to have a person that you referred do the demo, not you.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2022

The dude was a really good salesman. He just came over and spent a very long time here and talked me into it. I wasn't really in the market for it. There have been three or four people that have come out over the course of getting the system, and they have all been very knowledgeable and friendly. It has been a pretty good experience so far. It took a while for the tap water, for the thing under the sink, to make the water taste good. It tasted bad for a little while. But finally, all the water flushed through it and now it tastes awesome and I love it. And showering and cleaning, I've noticed that it leaves less spots and it's easier to clean things. I feel the whole thing is expensive. But it lasts supposedly forever. It’s a one-time purchase. I love it.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2022

The purchase process was pleasant and the installation was perfect. The crew had to have somebody come out and check on the system's computer. RainSoft is working great so far. It's a good buy.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2022

The sales rep gave us time to deliberate and decide if we really wanted to do the system. When we tried testing our water, we could see the little pieces of calcified materials in there, and so since having RainSoft, it's been completely clear. It's very low maintenance and it's made our water quality so much better where we don't even have to buy bottled water. We're extremely satisfied. We've talked to a couple of our relatives that have well water and hard water and they're considering it.

RainSoft Water Treatment Systems Company Information