RainSoft Water Treatment Systems
4.42/5

RainSoft Water Treatment Systems

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Since 1953, RainSoft has been a worldwide leader in providing families with premium water treatment and air purification systems. RainSoft is dedicated to designing, manufacturing and offering the industry's most diverse product line of water and air solutions for families like yours.

Our corporate Customer Focus Team ensures that each and every RainSoft customer is satisfied and exceeds every expectation. If you have a question, comment or concern, we encourage you to contact us directly at 1-800-RAINSOFT and ask to speak with our customer service group.

A leader in the water treatment industry since 1953, RainSoft takes the worry out of water.

RainSoft, A Division of Aquion, Inc. Video
RainSoft, A Division of Aquion, Inc. Gallery (1)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

RainSoft Water Treatment Systems Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: March 17, 2019

We were in a JCPenney in Aurora, Colorado and RainSoft Water Treatment Systems had the water test for free. We could grab one and test our water, so we did it. We came home and tested our water. RainSoft sent a representative out after they got our results to explain to us all about our water, the hardening, and the softening. We didn’t need a softener at all, but we got the filter. The sales rep that came out was new. We were his third or fourth presentation, but he did very well. He was here longer than he was planning to be here. He tried really hard and did a really good job answering our questions. If he couldn’t answer our questions, he immediately got on the phone with somebody to get them answered.

The installation, on the other hand, was a bit different. We ended up having two days of having the installer come out and the note that the sales rep took while he was here didn’t get transferred to the installer, so when he got on site, he wasn’t prepared for our type of house and where we wanted to put our unit. We were also told that since we don’t have a basement, the unit would sit outside and that RainSoft would be building the shelter that it would sit in. The installer was only able to install part of the system, then he had to come out later. We had to make a compromise on where the unit would fit. Now, the unit sits on our dining room, so it looks like we have a silver torpedo in our dining. He ended up cutting our phone lines when he drilled the holes through the floor to run the pipes and we had the phone company come out and fix that. We were also told that the pipes would not freeze, but they ended up freezing one night.

I had to get electric heaters underneath the house to get everything thawed. Also, when he put the stuff in under the sink, when he rerouted our dishwasher drain and put the drain for the filtration system in, it was backing up into my dishwasher and causing the dishwasher to go into a drain cycle every time we would use the water system. The installation was a bit more frustrating than the sales rep. We also had another guy come out the day after the install because the water was gray. We weren’t informed it could be gray for a while until all the sediments and stuff inside the tank worked its way out in the line. We ended up having another guy come out and do a bit more explanation on that.

The guy that came out and did the install was a little frustrated because he didn’t know all the information. He felt very unprepared when he came out. But he was very friendly to talk to and eager to work with us. He did some stuff above and beyond what he would have had to have done. Overall, the guys have been really good. We can call them up and we get an answer back right away, or they send a tech out within 24 hours. We are 45 miles from the nearest major city and they are still trying to get somebody out here to take care of us, so I am pleased.

Now that everything is settled, the water quality has been tons better. We can drink our water and our ice is so much better. We can ice, so we don’t have to buy bagged ice now. We don’t have to buy bottled water that much. We buy some just to have on hand in case the waterline freezes or we are going somewhere. Overall, we are very happy with the system and I would recommend the system to anybody in our small town.

Get expert buying tips about Water Treatment Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I got mail from Home Depot that said to call. I did and the nice lady asked if I liked my water. I told her I would happy to have someone come out. When you buy a house, you need to get water treatment because the pipes will go after a while, even if they're PVC. I had my initial consultation with Donald. I'm a pretty straight shooter so I said to let me see the water and not give me his spiel. He did his tests and all the stuff he was supposed to do. I was putting together a dining room table and paying attention while my wife was sitting there. I told him that I wanted to know what I was drinking because I know it wasn't good. He tested some ice cubes because we don't have a filter on our fridge.

I already knew we needed the system. I told Donald to just give me a price. When he wrote the initial number down, I said he could walk out right then. Donald was very honest, upfront, and respectful of my family. He didn't seem to be shady in any way, shape, or form. That was a big thing to establish trust and rapport. He said that somebody was gonna come out and see me and that was the guy I sign the paperwork with.

Two days later, someone came and put in the system outside. That evening, a gentleman came and brought another water testing kit so he could show me the outside, inside and how much stuff had been removed. He also brought out the paperwork. You can tell that the water tastes cleaner. The chlorine is not there anymore. Plus, there is no buildup in the shower or on the tubs. The clothes smell fresher. We had some issues with the dishwasher though. They don't tell you a lot of things like you can't use the pods when you have a whole home purification system because it uses less soap which was why they give you the soap to use. The dishwasher wasn't drying dishes because it was filling up with soap. That was a lesson learned.

We were told to use what they gave us, but we still had stuff left over so my wife just used what we had. The warranty guy came and showed me how much soap was in there after a quick rinse. I said that no wonder nothing was dry. I like the shampoo and soap. My kids are still leery because they're hell-bent on what they've been using. The amount you have to use the laundry soap to get the same effect as you would when you use a normal detergent is awesome. I've recommended RainSoft to others.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

We moved from a home that didn't have very good water from wherever it was coming from. We noticed a lot of calcium build-up on the faucets over time. There was a lot of hard water stains on the glass door from the shower and rings around the toilet on the inside. We couldn't get most of that stuff off to save our lives. We just purchased a home and moving into it, we didn't want to have any of those issues.

When we were approached to get our water tested, we figured it was not gonna hurt. Crystal came over and did water tests. When we saw the results of the water test, we were kind of a little shocked. I was pretty sure there was gonna be a lot of hard water and a lot of minerals in the water that we probably did not need to be having inside of our appliances, pipes, and ultimately for us to drink. Crystal explained everything to us and kind of demonstrated what the RainSoft water softening system was going to do for us. We got to see and feel the results. After that, we were like, "Wow!" This is something that we kinda wanted to move forward with.

Two gentlemen, Mike and Brian, came over and they installed our water system. They were very professional, knowledgeable, and polite. I got to talk with them a lot and found out that they both have a water softening system in their own homes and have had it for multiple years. To me, that said a lot of pretty good things. They were selling a good product and the people who work for the company also have the exact same product that they were selling and installing. Mike and Brian asked where the system could be installed. They asked how to orient the tanks with the computer screen so I was really involved with them from the get-go. It was a really pleasant experience with the installation. The system looks really good too.

With RainSoft, we noticed our skin feels a lot softer. Our skin doesn't feel really tight when we get out of the shower as where we used to. So far, I haven't had to do any maintenance on the system. I went out to the garage the other week where it's installed, and everything checked out to be fine. RainSoft will be sending out a reminder as filters need to be changed. We also have the reverse osmosis system under the sink. I think those filters need to be changed about once a year and it would be every three to five years for the charcoal in the garage. I'll have to add salt to the system periodically too, but they filled up the tub with salt and I'm still well over halfway on my salt level. I've had a really good experience.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I was looking into buying a new house and I had the water tested. It failed for E. coli, cholera, bacteria, and lead. I had the Triple Duos and failed for all four tests. I was trying to find a company that could correct the system before I make an offer on the house. I was given the names of a couple of companies in the area and RainSoft was one of the companies that came out. I had gotten different estimates and opted to go with RainSoft. I had three different companies come out. One explained everything in their terminology and I had no idea what they were talking about.

The RainSoft reps were very easy to work with. They explained everything to a layman who doesn’t understand the problems with water and what’s involved in it. They explained everything in detail as to how the different systems would work so it’s drinkable water and how it would fix the problems. There are a couple things I didn’t understand though, but I had decided upon them and it really didn’t make a difference. I was stuck with the way the system was. I didn’t realize that correcting for the lead in the water would be a completely different system. You only put it on a faucet that you’re gonna drink from. I wanted it on everything in the house so that I can go drink the water in the bathroom or the water outside from a garden hose, but it’s so expensive to do it that way.

RainSoft was the only company that was willing to do what I wanted. I have a rancher, but it’s a modular house and there is no basement underneath of it. There’s a crawlspace. All the houses I’ve looked at or people that I know that have the system have a basement and everything is physically in the basement. The filters are also in the basement.

I was trying to get everything put into a closet in the third bedroom or on one of the inside walls in that particular bedroom if it wouldn’t fit in the closet because of size constraint. I was trying to get it, so I don’t have to crawl underneath the house to try to change filters or to physically check to see if the system is working. The owner wasn’t sure if the technician could do it. When the technician came out, I explained to him the situation. I am handicapped and I can’t crawl. If I gotta go underneath the house, I gotta sit on my butt to pull myself backward. I was trying to make it convenient for me to be able to check the system and change filters on my own instead of paying somebody else to do it. He was able to explain to me how it was gonna go.

The house has water coming from a well. For some strange reason, whoever put this house up decided to put the main water shut-off in the rear back corner of the house and you gotta crawl from one end of the house all the way to the other end to shut the water off. To me, the main shut-off valve should be placed near where it comes out of the ground or where it first comes into the house. The RainSoft technician put a master shut-off in the closet, just before the entire system. I was very happy with the work he did. He was also very helpful in explaining the entire system to me, how it works, and how I need to maintain it.

The water looks clearer now and it's drinkable. I had asked for an additional test just to have my own peace of mind after the installation was done and they did. They sent me the results and it showed that everything is below what the acceptable levels are. I wouldn’t say crystal clear water, but I have clean water. I would highly recommend RainSoft to anybody that has similar problems.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

My son and I were shopping in JC Penney. He was the one who saw this packet and asked me if I wanna test the water. I asked him why we should test the water and he said we should go home and see what happens when we do it. He put water in a test tube and then he just left it. I asked him why is he gonna test it and have it sitting in the corner and not send it in. From there, RainSoft got it and they called us. They told us it's in Broward County, and started to get tested on the water. They told us that it seemed okay and asked if we were interested in somebody coming out to do a complete test on the water to show us where the levels are at and tell us what is healthy and safe. I told them that it's okay.

My experience with the rep from RainSoft was good. At first, I didn't know if he was just someone who was educating us, or it's a matter of he was a sales rep. But his presentation was amazing. He was young, and he just started himself, but he did a great job. So it's not a matter of convincing or there wasn't any pressure at all. It's a matter of, "Think about it, if you think it's something that you'd wanna do. Do you think long term, health-wise, the pipes and the copper and the stuff in the water, is this something you wanna keep digesting?" The savings involved in cleaning supplies and water were also explained. It wasn't a hard decision but it was an expensive one.

I got the system that's worth $6,900. The one that goes through the pipes, and I had it installed in the garage of this house. I didn't do the washer and dryer. I just do the one that has to do with the main water. Also, the installation was good. I had a leak afterwards so I called the technician. He came back and said he's gonna do a fix but it was a Band-Aid fix. My boyfriend knew exactly what was wrong, so I delivered the message to him because he does plumbing.

It so happened that the guy told me to watch it and see what happens. It didn't get any better. I called him up again and told him I needed it fixed properly and I didn't want a Band-Aid fix. The follow up and follow through with them was amazing. Since having the system installed, there has been a smooth feel of the water from the shower. I also drink water from the system every day. I even take a big bottle of water to work. Thus far, I have referred five people to RainSoft and one person has bought their system.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RainSoft, A Division of Aquion, Inc.?

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

My experience started when I was told by the sales rep that if he had known I was a single woman, that he wouldn't have come to try to sell me the product because I don't fit his demographic. I bought it anyway, because I was impressed by the product. The first group of gentlemen who came to my house might as well have been tweedle dee and tweedle dum. They wasted a large amount of time deciding that they weren't intelligent enough to install my water system. The second set of gentlemen who came out are the only people in this company who are worth speaking to and honestly should just break off and start their own company. They did have to come twice because they ran out of time the first night, but they were a blessing. However, they left holes in my walls and a giant hole in my floor. I was assured that Rainsoft would come out and fix it, no problem.

Now on my 4th time leaving work early to meet the gentleman who is supposed to fix my house, except he ONLY came with drywall. Unfortunately the holes were wood and the hole in my floor was also wood. Despite having pictures of the damage, no one sent him with the correct repair items. Rescheduled to the 5th time leaving work early to have my holes fixed. Rainsoft was a no show. ZERO customer service. No one communicates. YOU end up calling THEM to confirm ANYTHING. This place is a scam. Get a water treatment because it's worth it. DO NOT GET IT FROM RAINSOFT.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

When RainSoft called, we set up an appointment and the guy showed up on time. He was friendly and knowledgeable. He explained everything down to the fine detail. We got everything from them. The ozone machine for the laundry, and then the alkaline purification for drinking water. I was in the middle of a kitchen remodeling, and we kept pushing back and pushing back the install date. But the lady at their office was very kind with working with me. It was a couple of months between the consultation and the install. When the installation guys came, they were great. They showed up on time, did what they had to do, and were gone. They were clean and efficient.

The rep said clothes were gonna be softer and they are. The water is fantastic now. We can drink either just the tap water or the alkaline water without any problems. My daughter was over three days ago, and she wanna drink water so we gave her the alkaline water, and she said, “Oh, my God. This stuff is so good.” And that was just out of the tap.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

Had a system put in last month & it's great. Expensive. Said I wanted to pay before came due to avoid interest. They said OK but didn't have correct paperwork. When they left, said they'd send it. Never came. Didn't tell me. Had to order 10 yrs free soap within 4 yrs or lose it. Kitchen cleaner cannot come in contact w/ food surfaces!! Some of laundry detergent can only be used in HOT water! Water pressure goes way down. BUT the worst is: the finance co they use is PITIFUL!

They 1st texted me without telling me who they & asked all kinds of financial questions. I asked who they were & no response, just same questions over & over again. I didn't know name of finance co Rainsoft used. They would not acknowledge who they were. After days of that, finally set up auto pay. They never took anything out, never rec'd bill. Made 10 calls to find out their name. Said they had no autopay info but interest being charged since day put in! Then they couldn't find my acct. Couldn't find SS #. Finally paid it off w/ great interest!! ONLY PAY CASH! DO NOT FINANCE W/ FOUNDATION FINANCE! NEVER HAD THIS EXPERIENCE WITH ANY OTHER CO. INFURIATING!

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

In the years of experience that I've had with RainSoft, I've had no issues. If there's any problem that comes up, I'd make a phone call and in less than a week, I've got the issue resolved. I like it. We started using RainSoft water softener in '90 when lived outside of Nashville, Tennessee. When we moved to Florida in 2000, I wanted to continue that and I had a new RainSoft system put in the house that we bought there. I've had good experiences with it. I like the way the water is.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2019

Our water system from RainSoft is working really good. The installation went very well, and everything’s been good since then. The water is better and we don’t have to buy more water bottles. My daughter and I, and everybody here noticed the difference on our skin.

RainSoft, A Division of Aquion, Inc. expert review by Greg Chick

RainSoft Water Treatment Systems is a company that offers residential customers water and air purification services. The company is headquartered in Elk Grove Village, IL, and they serve customers throughout the world.

• Convenience: There are hundreds of dealers across the world that can install RainSoft products, so the company is a convenient choice for customers throughout many parts of the United States and the world.

• Complimentary water test: The company provides customers with complimentary water tests to see if they are good candidates for water treatment or filtration.

• Taste and smell: RainSoft guarantees that their product will reduce unwanted smells and tastes in consumers' water, which makes it better to drink, wash food with, cook with and bathe in.

• Safe filtration methods: RainSoft uses activated carbon filtration, which is a method that has been deemed safe for use by the Environmental Protection Agency, and they do not use any harsh chemical products in their purification process.

• Movable: The filtration systems manufactured by RainSoft can be moved from home to home, which means customers can take their system with them when they move and that they do not have to purchase multiple systems if they end up choosing to live in multiple homes.

• Best for: Homeowners with hard water, homeowners near a compromised water supply and rural customers using well water.

Profile picture of Greg Chick
Greg Chick Water Treatment Systems Contributing Editor

Greg Chick has worked as an entrepreneur for over 40 years with a background in plumbing, irrigation, pools and water heating. He is a member of Green Plumbers USA, International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials and American Society of Plumbing Engineers. Greg works to educate residential consumers about quality plumbing products.

RainSoft Water Treatment Systems Company Information

RainSoft, A Division of Aquion, Inc.
1953