4.6/5 (293 ratings)

About RainSoft Water Treatment Systems

RainSoft manufacturers and sells water conditioning and water filtration systems for residential customers. A water expert can visit your home for a free water analysis. RainSoft offers solutions for whole-home hard water conditioning to improve bathing, washing dishes and doing laundry. The company also focuses on drinking water solutions to improve water taste and clarity.

Pros

• Referral program
  • Limited lifetime warranty
  • Free in-home water analysis
  • Energy-efficient options

Cons

• No salt-free softeners
  • Pricing not available online

Bottom Line

RainSoft offers traditional, salt-based water softeners and drinking water carbon filtration systems. Customers can visit the website to schedule a free in-home water analysis and find a local dealer to get a quote.

Top RainSoft Water Treatment Systems Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about RainSoft - a Pentair Company?

Verified

We did a home water test through our town and RainSoft tagged our mailbox… The guy who came out was very knowledgeable and professional. He showed us everything we needed to see a...

Verified

So far, everything is working out very good with our RainSoft… My husband and I decided that we wanna try it out. And so far, we love it. The sales rep was very good and helpful. ...

What is RainSoft?

RainSoft produces water conditioning and water filtration systems intended for the whole home or a single point of use. The company offers a free in-home water analysis for those unsure of what they need in their homes.

RainSoft offers three water softener systems that address hard water issues:

• The EC5 is a premium, computer-controlled, whole-home water softener system that is available in various configurations to fit your needs. It connects to the RainSoft Remind app for low salt notifications and filter change reminders. The system automatically responds to your water use, and the computer control saves water, salt and electricity.
  • The EC5-CAB system saves on salt and water consumption by using shorter cycles based on home water use. It comes with an easy-to-read display and distinctive alarm tones. You can customize the system’s functions to fit your family’s needs, and it's designed to deliver an uninterrupted supply of conditioned water.
  • The TC-M series is available in various configurations to fit your home. It's energy-efficient and self-cleaning, and the high flow rates deliver a consistent supply of water.

For drinking water purification, RainSoft offers:

• The Ultrefiner II is RainSoft’s premium drinking water system. It uses three high-quality, multistage filters to purify tap water and remove small particles, lead, copper, chromium, VOC and chlorine. It comes with a lead-free faucet. The cartridge is interchangeable, which creates less waste than systems that require the whole filter to be removed.
  • The Hydrefiner II reduces chlorine and other particles that cause bad taste and odors. Each cartridge treats up to 830 gallons of water.

RainSoft also sells problem-specific filters to address individual water issues and systems, including the CleanStart laundry system, which oxidizes tap water to disinfect clothes.

How does the RainSoft system work?

RainSoft water conditioner systems soften water for the whole home using a salt-based ion exchange process powered by electricity. The systems are installed where the water enters your home from the municipal supply. Some systems are designed to provide a continuous supply of softened water, while others have computerized controls that respond to your family’s water use and produce softened water on demand.

While many of the models have self-cleaning and regeneration cycles, most also require filter changes, adding salt and some maintenance. Models come with replacement reminder alarms or connect to an app that alerts you when the system needs attention.

RainSoft water softener cost

RainSoft doesn’t disclose its water softener prices on its website. Its products are available for purchase through local dealers, so if you’re interested in buying a RainSoft system, contact a local dealer for a free in-home water analysis and quote.

RainSoft FAQ

How long do RainSoft water softeners last?
RainSoft water softeners are built to last for years. All systems come with a limited lifetime warranty. You or your service provider will need to replace filters or cartridges and perform maintenance on the system.
Does RainSoft remove lead?
RainSoft water filtration systems that employ carbon filters, such as the Ultrefiner II and Hydrefiner II, remove lead. Water softeners do not remove lead.
Does RainSoft remove chlorine?
RainSoft’s drinking water systems, the Ultrefiner II and Hydrefiner II, reduce chlorine using carbon filtration. RainSoft water softeners do not remove chlorine.

Is RainSoft worth it?

RainSoft offers several solutions for home water softening and drinking water filtration and has systems that can be combined for maximum performance. For customers experiencing multiple water issues, a RainSoft water expert helps determine the problems and customize a home system configured to solve them all.

RainSoft Water Treatment Systems Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RainSoft Water Treatment Systems?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about RainSoft - a Pentair Company?

Original review: Oct. 5, 2021

We had a RainSoft system years ago and our water was crystal clear and drinkable on that. But a pipe busted loose and it soaked the system one night and ruined it. At the time, it was $1,500 to fix it, and financially, it wasn't in our budget, so we went with Culligan and we rented one. We had it for several years and I finally just bought it off rather than paying monthly. We had to call again and I was looking for someone to come and tell me what was wrong with ours. The water smelled and our tub and toilet were turning brown. We were on a well. Also, my wife has digestive issues, and we felt the water was doing part of that. We had bought a water cooler-heater kind of deal, but we started to see about a water softener. I got online and somehow I ended up at HomeAdvisor and they gave me RainSoft's number and I called.

We couldn't remember what we had had prior to. When they said RainSoft, it rang a bell in my head and it was the first one we had and we really liked. The representative tested our water and we decided to go ahead and buy a new one. We just had it for about 30 days or so. I paid all my bills online and I actually forgot about it. I let it slide by me until the 8th and I woke up that morning thinking that I listed it on my computer as Aqua. It came up with some other name that I'd saved the page to. I made a payment on it then I got a phone call about three hours later at work from a man from Aqua Finance.

I knew he was calling to ask why I hadn't made a payment yet. But then, he pulled up my account and said that I already did. I told him that it was coincidental that he called me that day 'cause I just made it. I hate being late. I pay prior to before I'm late and I was late on my very first payment. He was so easy to talk to, gracious, and he apologized for even calling me. Since having it, the water is not as smelly. We also got our tub back to white and it's staying white, so that's really a good deal. More importantly, my wife is doing good. I might have saved a little bit of money with Culligan, but I was already sold out to RainSoft from my first experience, so I was really happy with it.

I just wish we'd move 30 days faster because we've been dealing with it for several years and we finally got to a point and think that maybe it's the water. I went and spent $200, $300 to buy this cooler water just before we got ahold of RainSoft and we haven't used it since. I could have saved a couple hundred dollars. Then I didn't quite understand their financing. It's like a credit card versus a regular bill. They said that the paperwork they sent was a credit card. I paid off $150. I'm not gonna pay $30 a month. If I get that paid off, I got a one or two saying that they'll come and check it in two years. But now, the rep said it was $190, and they do a check up on it and change the seals. I wanted to know if they put that on that card, or is it a revolving account that we would have with them or is it was we pay it off, does that card deal end. But then it is not really important to me because we just paid them.

Get buying tips about Water Treatment Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

The rep from RainSoft said that she was giving me this price but once she walks out the door, he couldn’t give me this price again. So, it was a high-pressure sale and very expensive, and we didn't get to shop around. But the rep was following the process she was taught to follow. I've been in sales most of my life so I get it. I loved her and had a blast with her. She was funny and we were like minded so we had lots of sidebar conversations and laughing and joking and carrying on. She was wonderful.

The system takes up a lot of space underneath our kitchen sink because we did the double filter system for the drinking water. But it's not a big deal. We even took the filter for the ice and cold water out of the refrigerator because our refrigerator can run without it and it was almost like the filter that's in the fridge ruined the expensive filtered water. We constantly had stuff floating in our water from the ice melting before we got the system. We don't now. Ice stays nice and clear. I’ve noticed the difference in how the water feels. There are 15 years’ worth of water deposits on my last shower door and I couldn't get it off. But now, I don't have any new water deposits anywhere.

I'm very glad that we got the system with all the crap in the water everywhere. We even saw it and I feel better that I'm drinking filtered water. But RainSoft’s price is still way too expensive. The pressure got to us and we didn't want to be drinking any more of that water that we just saw tested. Also, last minute, they threw in all these free products that you can get from this other company that say "natural" until you read the label and realize there are chemicals in there. I don't like most of the free products that they've given. They smell chemically and one of the products burned a hole in my clothes. So, even though the label says these are natural products and the title of the products has natural in it, it’s not. They are just mostly natural.

Original review: June 14, 2021

The gentleman that came out laid the out what product was. He took some samples from my water and was able to explain to me how dirty it was. I knew it was dirty. It was all rusty- and brown-looking. It stunk like sulfur. There was no way I would have drank that water. In fact, I didn't even like to shower in it. We raise standard poodles as well, and we wouldn't even let them drink the water. It was nasty. The gentleman offered the product that we can buy to make my water usable and it came out to 100 bucks a month. It was very expensive, but compared to driving to an artesian well all the time to get our own water, it's not that bad. I can stay at home and not have to spend three hours chasing down water twice a week.

I had a good experience with RainSoft. The people didn't jack you around at all. The gentleman that did the installation couldn't quite get it all done in one day because it was working into after dark hours that they were working on it. He came back the next day and finished it off just like he said he would. After the installation, we noticed a 100% difference. We have clean water now, even if we don't get it through the filter on the sink itself. That's where I use it for drinking water. I still don't use the other just because I'm leery, but our dogs can drink the other without a problem. The water is clean enough that we went ahead and we just made a purchase on a hot tub. Whereas before, there was no way we would have tried filling a hot tub that we're going to get in and sit down in.

I've got three tanks that are right off my pump house and then inside the house, I did the double filter. It was a good buy. I've had friends go, "God. How much you’re gonna pay to get a filter?" They didn't understand how bad the water was. Not being able to use the water on the property I live on makes my property worthless to me. The way I look at it, not only am I saving money running back and forth to a well to gather drinking water, but I've raised the value of my property should I want to sell it.

Original review: May 29, 2021

The guy that came out from RainSoft was knowledgeable. The crew that came out the first time was good. But I've had the crews out 3 or 4 times already because I've been going through a lot of problems with the softener. Hopefully, this kind of resolves some of the problems. But the water's great. It's soft and the system's working really good. My wife and I like it. I'm glad I did it. I should have done it 26 years ago because that's how long I've been out there where I live. I'm up in the hill country and the water is terrible up there. There's a lot of calcium in it.

There are some things that I'm still not happy with RainSoft, like the shelter that they put on. They were at my house 3 days ago and moved it from where they first installed it to further down from the side of my house. The only thing I don't like is if I have to put salt or check the system on how much I'm using, I have to remove all of that. There are no doors on there to open up and that shelter is heavy. Now, they've put two shelters because everything was exposed on the outside. I had told them about that already. For me to take the most expensive system and spend over $10,000 for that, I shouldn't have to be moving all this stuff. They should come out and put doors on it. I have to take the roof off, which is going to consist of me and my wife doing, then I have to move the whole shelter back. Whenever I need salt, I got to do that. I'm gonna have to do that also for the bleach container because that's got a separate shelter on it too.

I had a leak a few weeks later and they fixed it. The quality assurance lady came out. I told her, "We're not going in the house. I want to show you everything that's done back here at my house, what they installed." She came back there and said, "I'm not even happy looking at this." She took a bunch of pictures. I asked, "What are you going to do with these pictures?" She told me she was going to send them to corporate and I'd be hearing back from them. I've got hard lines that go on the outside and I can't have this stuff tapped into my hard lines because I've got a big koi pond and didn't want none of that stuff killed. They said it doesn't kill this stuff. Plus, that bleach container kept kicking on when we were putting the outside lines. When they were here a few days ago, they put a brand-new module. The one that was on it was bad but that took care of that.

Original review: April 20, 2021

We have been a RainSoft consumer owner since we first moved in our house about 20 years ago. We needed a new development and there was a salesman that came through. We had a demo on it and we kind of looked at the unit and then we had it installed. We went through some water testing with it. We were able to see where it did have some residual materials in it that was causing surface tension issues with the water.

The first time we had a unit was like an eye opening because we had just moved into our new home. That was more like testing of the water and going through some different things. We looked at adding a surfactant. That set us on the path to think about really putting something in for our whole house water management. Then we just recently replaced that original unit because we got to a point where the filters were no longer functioning properly. I didn't receive any information or mail about having any kind of checkups. So, I got in touch with our local dealer at that point, which turned out to really be a good move, because they came out, took a look at what we had and we were able to upgrade our system and maintain it. I don’t want to stick with the same system that we've gotten into. I wanted one that's going to allow me a little more flexibility so I don't have to do reverse osmosis and cleaning every week.

Since we've had the new unit, we did cut back on some of our laundry detergents. The most noticeable thing right now is that we feel like we're using it a little more efficiently. We had a unit where we have both the main water line coming into the filtration unit with the solar salt. Then we had the second reverse osmosis tank, where you kind of run off and then that goes into your drinking water and everything. The guy that came in was pretty informative. He did a great job of converting that system with very minimal impact on our day-to-day things. He got in. He was able to get the tank removed out and then get the entire system replaced with minimal impact to changing our schedule and getting us up and running. We were at a point where our water flow was really being inhibited because of the coconut shell and stuff like that that goes into that filter system. The main unit was pretty much sludgy.

We had gotten our money's worth out of it for not knowing that there was any kind of yearly checkup kind of maintenance that you're supposed to do. The guy showed us everything. He talked me through everything. He didn't have to upsell me on anything, but he did provide what some of the benefits were going to be if we did look at improving the system to where we are now. We could have stuck with what we had and just replace the filters. But I really felt it was the right thing to do when I talked to him with his experiences.

We've been very satisfied with the system itself. We do the refrigeration unit where we've got the water running in for drinking water. We don't use it through the sink anymore, but you can tell a difference in the reverse osmosis system with drinking water. It's not that our sink water isn't drinkable. You can tell there's a little bit of just a purity difference in it when you do drink it. We're noticing how different the water is with some of the neighbor's houses just like the water we get out of our sink that we use for cooking.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

BEWARE. Where do I start? The salesman. He came to the house to sell the Rainsoft equipment. He tried to also sell us his book and some steaks. We foolishly bought the water softener, the Airmaster, and the Cleanstart for washer. He wanted to have them come install that evening. We asked to wait until the next day at least. When they showed up to install, they did not have all the equipment and didn’t tell me until they had already started. During this installation, they ripped the door halfway off the dishwasher and hit the fridge, leaving a nice dent and scratch. They did reimburse us for the fridge door AFTER MIKE called us on a Saturday morning being extremely rude saying they didn’t want to pay. I had to call the main office for them to do something.

They installed the equipment they had on hand and said they would come back. When they came back, they were there until well after 10pm. (I do understand technical issues, I work in networking.) However, they went to leave, and I had to point out to them that the lights weren’t on for the airmaster, so they had tried to leave it unfinished. Soon after this, we noticed that the water was coming out as pure salt first thing in the morning. Turns out, they had installed the drainage pipe wrong, so it wasn’t being cleaned out properly. They came back again to fix it and also found out that the cleanstart had not been working the entire time. So basically, we had been paying a substantial amount for equipment that never worked.

Every time they came to our home, they broke something or did something wrong. I just looked inside the tank this morning and it is FULL of dirty water and no salt. This is their ‘finished’ job. I’ll post a picture if I’m able. This has been nothing but a hassle, and I sincerely wish we never got involved. Hopefully I can save others from making this same mistake, because the stress of this has been detrimental to our family. Please be careful. -HC

Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

Home Depot sent out Scotty to test our water and he was from RainSoft. He was fantastic and we purchased a system from him. The only thing I had to do after the installation was to install an additional junction box to support the extra plugs that were coming off the units that I didn't know about. Other than that, I had no problems with the system. The original water I had has left water spots on everything. It had so much iron and it colored the outside of the house orange on the irrigation system. Within two weeks of having that water in the house, the toilets started turning brown. Once we got the RainSoft system, we had the toilets professionally cleaned out and the brown color hasn't come back since then.

Everything has gone smoothly. RainSoft is very professional about everything. I would recommend this product to anybody that's looking for a water softening system in Central Florida.I recommend that RainSoft lets its sales reps know if an additional outlet is needed. If people buy the system we used, it takes a minimum of three plugs. So, if you have a two-plug outlet, you have to get another junction box added in.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2021

Here in Miami they play with the client and after he signs I know ... I bought to have alkaline water for my son with down syndrome and I received nothing. I signed on August 2, 2021 and to this date I have no water to drink and I continue to buy bottled water because the one that comes out through the filter has a strange taste. I almost have to start paying and I do not have the service for which I sign. Another case I have a video of the boss where I arrive an hour and a half late to the appointment saying, "** I do not return again," because it was the second time they went for the same trouble.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2021

Before getting RainSoft, you can really smell the chlorine in the water. I had to boil it and put it in the refrigerator for it to work so we have drinking water. Since having RainSoft installed, the taste of the water is so much different. It doesn't have the aftertaste and I don't have to boil water. It's really nice. We're enjoying RainSoft. Also, the reps seem to be pretty nice and very friendly.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2021

We have very good experiences with the sales team. The installation was quicker than normal. We had a really good and pleasant experience.

RainSoft Water Treatment Systems Company Information