ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

RainSoft Water Treatment Systems

RainSoft Water Treatment Systems
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.29/5

Since 1953, RainSoft has been a worldwide leader in providing families with premium water treatment and air purification systems. RainSoft is dedicated to designing, manufacturing and offering the industry's most diverse product line of water and air solutions for families like yours.

Our corporate Customer Focus Team ensures that each and every RainSoft customer is satisfied and exceeds every expectation. If you have a question, comment or concern, we encourage you to contact us directly at 1-800-RAINSOFT and ask to speak with our customer service group.

A leader in the water treatment industry since 1953, RainSoft takes the worry out of water.

RainSoft, A Division of Aquion, Inc. Video
RainSoft, A Division of Aquion, Inc. Gallery (1)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

RainSoft Water Treatment Systems Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

I had solids in my water. It was something that stains porcelains in my bathrooms and my sink. I had a system already but it was very old and I couldn’t rely on it anymore. So, I wanted to upgrade to a new system. I went online and found Carolina Freshwater, the company that installed RainSoft's product. And that one looked like something that was an upgrade from what I had, so that’s what I did.

A salesperson came out from the company and talked to me for three and a half hours, and I couldn’t run him off. He also did the water testing but he was more sales than he was anything. At the time, I already decided to buy the thing, then I just had to go through the program. I got both the water conditioner and softener, and the installation went great. Since then, the water is as I expected. It’s very good and clear. I put my RainSoft in in early November, then I sent off a sample in mid-December to RainSoft, and I haven’t heard anything. But I presume that’s good news.

All in all, I got what I paid for and I’m happy with my experience. The product was extremely expensive, but I knew that going in. I also knew I bought the service and that was what I was going for. I needed someone to service this thing yearly, which they assured me was gonna happen. I have a well and I need this system. I could’ve gone to Lowe's or Home Depot and bought something sort of similar for quite a bit of less money, but then, I would have had to have a plumber come. I just didn’t want to involve myself in going through all that. I wanted a one-shot deal and I pay RainSoft for what it’s worth.

And now, if I have problems, I call Carolina Freshwater and that works for me. In fact, I will contact them in the future about the fact that the RO system sometimes doesn't shut off. It will trickle and you can hear it in the drain for three or four minutes. I'm wondering if I can up the pressure in the RO system within the system itself because I have good water pressure in the rest of the house and I think there’s not enough pressure to adequately shut off. I’ve read about it, but I’m not gonna get down there and tinker around with the fittings. Also, the only thing it feeds is the freshwater on the sink. I have a separate spigot for the RO and it goes to my ice machine. But I haven’t contacted them about it because I wanted to change the refrigerators and see if that ice machine was the problem. It turned out that it wasn’t. So, I’ll contact them about that, too.

Get expert buying tips about Water Treatment Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

RainSoft sent me a thing in the mail for a free thing of Tide, which I have not received. I was supposed to get that for having my water tested. I got their system and it's outside in the yard. It’s a big thing and it hasn’t much salt in it. I've had the system since October 2nd. The salesman was nice and polite. The installers were nice too, but they did not finish the job. It got dark on them. They said someone would be back the next day. But they ended up running the extension cord and they didn't leave enough wire for the next guy that came out to finish the job, so they told him they needed to rerun the wire. Another guy came out and he was very nice. The third installation guy said he knew how to fix it but he was not a certified electrician, so they won’t let him do it. He would send a certified electrician.

A month went by and went into November. The electrician finally came and he hooked it to the receptacle, but I didn't feel like the wire was buried all the way because it was dark out. I was out there with the installers when they were doing it and I said that I wanted it buried at least deep as their shovel was. They did a couple of feet then I went in. All of a sudden, they were done and I didn't see any dig marks, so I’m pretty sure they did not bury that part. They just kinda threw some dirt over it. Also, I know it’s only a couple inches because I can pull the dirt back with my hand and look. It’s only a couple inches. That’s next to the house where they had run the wire under. It's not likely that the dogs or anything will dig right there. The technicians ended up not running a new wire. I wanted them to run a new wire because if they bury it deep enough, they would have enough room.

I then had to go to North Carolina for a funeral for my nephew and I just got back. I got back like Wednesday night. I didn't know who to call after that. A technician came out but I wasn’t home then. I called my friend and told the technician that my friend was going to be there in 15 minutes. When my friend got there, there was nobody there. I called the number that the tech called me from and said I thought he was gonna bury that to which he said it was already buried. But I think he only checked the system and didn't check the spot. I haven't had a chance to get out there and dig around myself to see. I’m terrified of electricity. Other than to fix the light switch, I’m fine with it. But I’m gonna have a friend of mine come over and kinda dig around out there and see. I guess I could unplug it and then dig around. That would probably be a smart thing to do.

Since having my system installed, I can tell a difference. Everything feels slick like for the shower and the dishes. Somebody was buying salt and I inquired about which salt to buy. He said that he didn't like that thing. It made everything feel slimy because it felt like you couldn't get the soap rinsed off. But it becomes a good feeling after you do it a couple of times. It feels like you’re clean.

Original review: March 17, 2019

We were in a JCPenney in Aurora, Colorado and RainSoft Water Treatment Systems had the water test for free. We could grab one and test our water, so we did it. We came home and tested our water. RainSoft sent a representative out after they got our results to explain to us all about our water, the hardening, and the softening. We didn’t need a softener at all, but we got the filter. The sales rep that came out was new. We were his third or fourth presentation, but he did very well. He was here longer than he was planning to be here. He tried really hard and did a really good job answering our questions. If he couldn’t answer our questions, he immediately got on the phone with somebody to get them answered.

The installation, on the other hand, was a bit different. We ended up having two days of having the installer come out and the note that the sales rep took while he was here didn’t get transferred to the installer, so when he got on site, he wasn’t prepared for our type of house and where we wanted to put our unit. We were also told that since we don’t have a basement, the unit would sit outside and that RainSoft would be building the shelter that it would sit in. The installer was only able to install part of the system, then he had to come out later. We had to make a compromise on where the unit would fit. Now, the unit sits on our dining room, so it looks like we have a silver torpedo in our dining. He ended up cutting our phone lines when he drilled the holes through the floor to run the pipes and we had the phone company come out and fix that. We were also told that the pipes would not freeze, but they ended up freezing one night.

I had to get electric heaters underneath the house to get everything thawed. Also, when he put the stuff in under the sink, when he rerouted our dishwasher drain and put the drain for the filtration system in, it was backing up into my dishwasher and causing the dishwasher to go into a drain cycle every time we would use the water system. The installation was a bit more frustrating than the sales rep. We also had another guy come out the day after the install because the water was gray. We weren’t informed it could be gray for a while until all the sediments and stuff inside the tank worked its way out in the line. We ended up having another guy come out and do a bit more explanation on that.

The guy that came out and did the install was a little frustrated because he didn’t know all the information. He felt very unprepared when he came out. But he was very friendly to talk to and eager to work with us. He did some stuff above and beyond what he would have had to have done. Overall, the guys have been really good. We can call them up and we get an answer back right away, or they send a tech out within 24 hours. We are 45 miles from the nearest major city and they are still trying to get somebody out here to take care of us, so I am pleased.

Now that everything is settled, the water quality has been tons better. We can drink our water and our ice is so much better. We can ice, so we don’t have to buy bagged ice now. We don’t have to buy bottled water that much. We buy some just to have on hand in case the waterline freezes or we are going somewhere. Overall, we are very happy with the system and I would recommend the system to anybody in our small town.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

We moved from a home that didn't have very good water from wherever it was coming from. We noticed a lot of calcium build-up on the faucets over time. There was a lot of hard water stains on the glass door from the shower and rings around the toilet on the inside. We couldn't get most of that stuff off to save our lives. We just purchased a home and moving into it, we didn't want to have any of those issues.

When we were approached to get our water tested, we figured it was not gonna hurt. Crystal came over and did water tests. When we saw the results of the water test, we were kind of a little shocked. I was pretty sure there was gonna be a lot of hard water and a lot of minerals in the water that we probably did not need to be having inside of our appliances, pipes, and ultimately for us to drink. Crystal explained everything to us and kind of demonstrated what the RainSoft water softening system was going to do for us. We got to see and feel the results. After that, we were like, "Wow!" This is something that we kinda wanted to move forward with.

Two gentlemen, Mike and Brian, came over and they installed our water system. They were very professional, knowledgeable, and polite. I got to talk with them a lot and found out that they both have a water softening system in their own homes and have had it for multiple years. To me, that said a lot of pretty good things. They were selling a good product and the people who work for the company also have the exact same product that they were selling and installing. Mike and Brian asked where the system could be installed. They asked how to orient the tanks with the computer screen so I was really involved with them from the get-go. It was a really pleasant experience with the installation. The system looks really good too.

With RainSoft, we noticed our skin feels a lot softer. Our skin doesn't feel really tight when we get out of the shower as where we used to. So far, I haven't had to do any maintenance on the system. I went out to the garage the other week where it's installed, and everything checked out to be fine. RainSoft will be sending out a reminder as filters need to be changed. We also have the reverse osmosis system under the sink. I think those filters need to be changed about once a year and it would be every three to five years for the charcoal in the garage. I'll have to add salt to the system periodically too, but they filled up the tub with salt and I'm still well over halfway on my salt level. I've had a really good experience.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I was looking into buying a new house and I had the water tested. It failed for E. coli, cholera, bacteria, and lead. I had the Triple Duos and failed for all four tests. I was trying to find a company that could correct the system before I make an offer on the house. I was given the names of a couple of companies in the area and RainSoft was one of the companies that came out. I had gotten different estimates and opted to go with RainSoft. I had three different companies come out. One explained everything in their terminology and I had no idea what they were talking about.

The RainSoft reps were very easy to work with. They explained everything to a layman who doesn’t understand the problems with water and what’s involved in it. They explained everything in detail as to how the different systems would work so it’s drinkable water and how it would fix the problems. There are a couple things I didn’t understand though, but I had decided upon them and it really didn’t make a difference. I was stuck with the way the system was. I didn’t realize that correcting for the lead in the water would be a completely different system. You only put it on a faucet that you’re gonna drink from. I wanted it on everything in the house so that I can go drink the water in the bathroom or the water outside from a garden hose, but it’s so expensive to do it that way.

RainSoft was the only company that was willing to do what I wanted. I have a rancher, but it’s a modular house and there is no basement underneath of it. There’s a crawlspace. All the houses I’ve looked at or people that I know that have the system have a basement and everything is physically in the basement. The filters are also in the basement.

I was trying to get everything put into a closet in the third bedroom or on one of the inside walls in that particular bedroom if it wouldn’t fit in the closet because of size constraint. I was trying to get it, so I don’t have to crawl underneath the house to try to change filters or to physically check to see if the system is working. The owner wasn’t sure if the technician could do it. When the technician came out, I explained to him the situation. I am handicapped and I can’t crawl. If I gotta go underneath the house, I gotta sit on my butt to pull myself backward. I was trying to make it convenient for me to be able to check the system and change filters on my own instead of paying somebody else to do it. He was able to explain to me how it was gonna go.

The house has water coming from a well. For some strange reason, whoever put this house up decided to put the main water shut-off in the rear back corner of the house and you gotta crawl from one end of the house all the way to the other end to shut the water off. To me, the main shut-off valve should be placed near where it comes out of the ground or where it first comes into the house. The RainSoft technician put a master shut-off in the closet, just before the entire system. I was very happy with the work he did. He was also very helpful in explaining the entire system to me, how it works, and how I need to maintain it.

The water looks clearer now and it's drinkable. I had asked for an additional test just to have my own peace of mind after the installation was done and they did. They sent me the results and it showed that everything is below what the acceptable levels are. I wouldn’t say crystal clear water, but I have clean water. I would highly recommend RainSoft to anybody that has similar problems.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RainSoft, A Division of Aquion, Inc.?

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

We had Rainsoft for years and liked it, when it wore out, we ordered another unit. They came to install it. After several attempts to fix it (it leaked bleach water from the start). When they couldn't fix it they blamed us for using too much water. We called repeatedly to no satisfaction. I even called the main office. When we asked them to refund our money No couldn't do that, ask them to move it. We were told it would cost us. Now I have an non-working unit never able to use, I'm out $2800 and had to put in Culligan.

RainSoft Water Treatment Systems response

Thank you for your message. We strive to ensure that every RainSoft customer is satisfied, and apologize that we fell short with your expectations. We will be contacting your authorized installing RainSoft dealer to review this issue, and will respond to you promptly.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2020

My water system was dripping and I called for service. The receptionist was very helpful in getting me an appointment the same day. They notified me when the service tech came to my house. He was very knowledgeable and courteous. He explained everything before he fixed the problem. He also informed me what I may need in the future to keep my water system working in great shape. I really appreciated his service and expertise.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

Our previous system which we've had for 14 years died and it needed to be upgraded. The technician that put in the new RainSoft system was great and it is working really well. We had the other guy come back out for an issue, but he fixed that and it's working just fine.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

Due to the quality of water in Florida, we looked into water softeners and filtration systems. The RainSoft rep sounded like he knew what he was talking about, but he told me some lines that were not true. It was too good to be true what he was telling me, but I know it was a solid product. I had a consultation with the gentleman that came afterwards to check the system out and he said he was gonna talk with his boss because some of the things he was telling me that would happen after we got the system was bogus. Other than that, we like the water conditioner we purchased. Now, the water is not as hard and it's basically healthier. My wife and I noticed that if we would take a shower, our hair is softer. The water is a lot cleaner coming out of the refrigerator to drink, and it doesn’t leave marks on our shower glasses as much as it used to.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

After my husband did a water test and sent it in to RainSoft, their reps called me back and said something about the numbers. They also said they would send somebody out to talk to us about our water. The consultant who came afterward was very personable.

RainSoft, A Division of Aquion, Inc. expert review by Greg Chick

RainSoft Water Treatment Systems is a company that offers residential customers water and air purification services. The company is headquartered in Elk Grove Village, IL, and they serve customers throughout the world.

• Convenience: There are hundreds of dealers across the world that can install RainSoft products, so the company is a convenient choice for customers throughout many parts of the United States and the world.

• Complimentary water test: The company provides customers with complimentary water tests to see if they are good candidates for water treatment or filtration.

• Taste and smell: RainSoft guarantees that their product will reduce unwanted smells and tastes in consumers' water, which makes it better to drink, wash food with, cook with and bathe in.

• Safe filtration methods: RainSoft uses activated carbon filtration, which is a method that has been deemed safe for use by the Environmental Protection Agency, and they do not use any harsh chemical products in their purification process.

• Movable: The filtration systems manufactured by RainSoft can be moved from home to home, which means customers can take their system with them when they move and that they do not have to purchase multiple systems if they end up choosing to live in multiple homes.

• Best for: Homeowners with hard water, homeowners near a compromised water supply and rural customers using well water.

by Greg Chick Water Treatment Systems Contributing Editor

Greg Chick has worked as an entrepreneur for over 40 years with a background in plumbing, irrigation, pools and water heating. He is a member of Green Plumbers USA, International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials and American Society of Plumbing Engineers. Greg works to educate residential consumers about quality plumbing products.

RainSoft Water Treatment Systems Company Information

RainSoft, A Division of Aquion, Inc.
    1953