4.56/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Since 1953, RainSoft has been a worldwide leader in providing families with premium water treatment and air purification systems. Visit bit.ly/RS-dealer to become a dealer! For more than 60 years, RainSoft is dedicated to designing, manufacturing and offering the industry's most diverse product line of water and air solutions for families like yours.

Our corporate Customer Focus Team ensures that each and every RainSoft customer is satisfied and exceeds every expectation. If you have a question, comment or concern, we encourage you to contact us directly at 1-800-RAINSOFT and ask to speak with our customer service group.

A leader in the water treatment industry since 1953, RainSoft takes the worry out of water.

RainSoft, A Division of Aquion, Inc. Video
RainSoft, A Division of Aquion, Inc. Gallery (1)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

2040 RainSoft Water Treatment Systems Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

First the sales rep, Robert, reminded me of the old time snake oil salesman. Great showman and charming about everything. Not sure about finding what chemicals were actually in our water that was harmful. By law he could not tell us. No doubt though we have deposits on our dishes that was proven by him and his bag of chemicals in his demo. Don’t know if a chemist would agree everything he did in demo to show harsh chemicals in our water. We may find that dishes are cleaner, clothes are brighter and skin is less dried out but for over $9100. It was a bit much for the total system, including an air purifier. My wife is smarter than me I guess.

All the hardware and free installation could not add up to more than a few thousand at best. Somebody is making money. Although cost of filters down the line was mentioned by the sales rep - he said he had not had to change his osmosis sink filter for ten years. I’m not sure he even has a system in his home. My suggestion is get some bids from as many companies as possible. Then if you want a system you can be well aware of what each system consist of and it’s cost. We’ll see how well the installation went and if anything blows up or leaks. Stay tuned!

Get expert buying tips about Water Treatment Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

It's been around 3 years I've had the system and to this day I'm glad for having it. The service from day 1 has been great. Water feels and tastes great. I've always had a great after-sale customer service experience over the years whenever I've had to get back in touch with the gentleman who demoed it to us the first day to clarify questions. He's been courteous and prompt to answer questions and help, which I've always appreciated. Overall, glad to have made this decision.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

When I purchased the RainSoft system, I'm about to tear out and replace, it was my first water softener and I didn't know any better. The system was overpriced and never worked right consistently. 1 and 1/2 years ago, when it stopped working for the umpteenth time (average life after a repair roughly 6-9 mo.) I was convinced by the serviceman to spend over $500 on a new digital head to replace my old analog head. He assured me my problems were over and told me the part had a 5 year warranty, parts and labor. Well of course it broke again.

Meanwhile the local contractor for RainSoft had changed hands again. When I called I was told they were not honoring the last subcontractor's warranties. I refuse to pay them to fix this piece of junk again. I'm shopping around now and in week or two the system goes to the dump and I get a new one NOT A RAINSOFT. Live and learn or learn from reading this, your choice. I lost, but you can avoid the same.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

The Rainsoft testing person was very nice but the data he presented was false. I have a University level education in Human Physiology and Chemistry. I also ran swimming pools for a living. The calculations for the funds I spend each month without the Rainsoft system are drastically inflated according to my own spreadsheet showing actual expenditures. The test where he said my skin absorbed the chlorine from the water was false. The chlorine was not absorbed by my skin in the three seconds allowed in this test. Absorption takes longer than the 3 seconds this test took. Instead the chlorine was chemically altered by the salt creating Sodium Chloride and any contaminants that are inherent on everyone's skin.

Also the light from my LED lights which is 5500 Kelvin causes a chemical change in Chlorine also attributing to the depletion of the chlorine in the test water. He did not test the filtered water in my Kitchen sink either. The reality is that with the actual expenditures the payback on this expensive system is more than a decade. The customer is led to believe the chemicals used to test for solids and other contaminants are real without any proof at all. The entire demonstration is done by the company selling the product instead of an independent testing company. This is a conflict of interests. Many systems are less expensive and do just as well in removing solids, organic contaminants, chemical contaminants and softening water. This demonstration was misleading and the system is very overpriced.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

We got a RainSoft water filter for our whole house and couldn't be more pleased with it, and with the company. Any problems we have had, they have come out super fast and made it right. At the beginning our shower head busted bc of carbon that was filtering out and they replaced it completely for us! With the filter they also gave us cleaning products and soaps and they were more than happy to switch some out for me! SEAN AND BRUCE (sorry I don't remember your last names), but well done! And thank you!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RainSoft, A Division of Aquion, Inc.?

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

RainSoft came out and did an experiment in our counter, and we decided that we would give it a try. Their sales rep was very nice and explained everything very good. They also gave us a whole bunch of stuff to use -- from laundry detergent, shampoo and face soap to dish soap. We have noticed a bit of a difference in the taste of the water and then our showers stay cleaner as well. I feel my dishes are cleaner and more sanitized, and I really like it.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

As a senior, I wanna do whatever I can to stay healthy and if I can make the water better, it’s always a plus. When I got to talking with the RainSoft rep and when they came to test my water, I saw the benefits of their system and decided to get it. Their installers were timely. They got in here, got it done and was gone. Now, I use the water when I make tea or coffee and I am able to tell a little difference because sometimes, different waters, even though they're good waters, with different types of tea, the water can give it a different taste and I've been totally satisfied with the water coming out of the RainSoft system.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

The RainSoft rep came over and did a little chemical analysis that proved that our water was hard. We knew already but we went through the process of getting it set up and scheduled. It all went smoothly. We wanted the outdoor not to be conditioned for watering the lawn so we figured out how we had to run the plumbing and where to install it, and the installer did it. RainSoft was very good, professional, and they did well.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

BEWARE. The system does improve our water but the cost is not realistic. We paid over $10,000 for a whole house system. The company financing the system put a lien on our house which caused me extra work when I refinanced our mortgage. The first year the filters cost $110. The second year was $250. Now, not only am I paying $179 per month, but it will cost me $450 to replace the filters this year. How much is it going to cost next year? I wish I had never purchased this system. Buyer beware - you need deep pockets to use and drink Rainsoft water.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

I grew up in a different town and when I moved to a town that has crappy water quality, I could tell there was a difference. I didn’t like it. Then when we had the initial consultation with RainSoft, the pitch that they had was really eye-opening. I know they have their own agenda to sell stuff but I enjoyed that experience. They were really knowledgeable.

Since our house is really old, we decided on getting everything. We got the water softener purifier system for the whole house, the one for the kitchen right under the sink and then the air purifier. The installation was really painless. It only took them about an hour and now, it’s a lot nicer when I take showers. It doesn’t leave my skin as dry and I have sensitive skin. I had no idea the water was that big of an issue. The taste of coffee is way better too. That’s worth the system’s weight in gold right there. So we’re enjoying our RainSoft experience so far.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

We’ve had RainSoft for 30 years and recently we replaced our water treatment system with the new one. The sale rep was very thorough in his explanation. He explained to us the reasoning why we should replace our old system with a more up to date one. The installers were very professional and knowledgeable. The installation took an hour and a half which wasn't very long at all. RainSoft is always top-notch whenever we call. We replaced our own drinking system filter which was separate and they have always been very helpful when we buy that and put it in ourselves.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

The RainSoft rep was pleasant to talk with and he kept us entertained. He was very knowledgeable, courteous, polite and respectful and it was a really good three hours with him. Their installers were good too and we hardly knew they were here. They told us about the different systems, the one that went in the crawlspace under the house and the one in our kitchen with the triple filters. They explained everything to us. Since then, our skin looks a lot better and we can definitely tell that the water in the sink is much clearer and has better taste. We tell the people who come here to try the water and even them say that it is good.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

When we saw RainSoft on the internet, we called them and a rep from one of the companies that is connected with Home Depot came, and they are the ones who sold us the product. We bought a water softener that is a middle one that has a reserve of a salt. The installers that came out did it quickly. They cleaned and they left everything clean. The product was pricey, but we know it’s worth it and we love it. My husband has a bacteria, his situation was in his stomach. He got much better with the product so now he's all better. I’m happy with it. We’ve been with RainSoft for a couple of months, and it has helped the water in the house. We feel more confident and I know it would help with the health of my husband and also my child, who is autistic as he needs fresh water too. I already recommended RainSoft to friends and people already came to their houses to do the water testing.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

The previous homeowner had a RainSoft system in the house, but they took it when they left. Then, the person at Home Depot said they would come out and do a free water test. So, we signed up and let them come to the house. They came and showed us how much crap was in our water and I didn't want to drink that. The sales guy's name was Bryan. He was nice and very professional. He came in and showed us the test and talked about the system.

The installation of the system was a little troubling because after we had the sales guy come out, I didn’t realize that one of the gaskets from my kitchen sink faucet had fallen into the garbage disposal. Therefore, my kitchen sink started leaking regularly. Also, the first time they set it up the drain hose for the RO system wasn’t plumbed properly. We talked to them about the issue and they tried to fix it with a bunch of different washers to see if they can get it to quit leaking from the kitchen sink faucet. They did reroute the RO water, which was fine, and we didn’t have any problems with that leaking again. The kitchen sink quit leaking, but the next day, it was leaking again. So they told us that if they couldn't find a replacement for it, then they would get me a new faucet, which was what they ended up doing.

The people at RainSoft are responsive, and we haven't had any issues with everything they’ve done so far. The water is definitely softer since we had the RainSoft system. You have that silky smooth feeling after a shower. However, I would notice that we have to clean the toilets more often because of the build-up of mildew. It also happens in our dishwasher. So we had them come out to check that and the guy told me that once I start smelling sulfur, that means they need to come out and clean all the lines in the house with bleach because the system has taken all the chlorine out.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

We had moved into a new neighborhood and the neighbors mentioned hard water. Then we got RainSoft's whole home water softener and filtration system. When the sales guy spoke with us, it was late at night so that was a bit annoying. But it was definitely informative and professional. He was polite and he answered all of our questions. The installation team was also professional and polite. They knew what they were doing. They made sure the timing was good and that all our questions were answered. They didn’t interrupt us and they cleaned up after they were finished. The water is much nicer now. We notice the difference even when we travel and go out to a hotel. When we come back, the water is amazing.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

I would recommend RainSoft to anybody with hard water. The water that we had was very hard and not very tasty. But we got the under-the-sink water filter system then the outdoor product, which was like $7,500. And now, the water tastes better. Our soap also goes further because the water isn’t so hard. So overall, we have better water quality. In fact, I've got three family members with eczema and we haven’t had a significant outbreak since the installation of the system. The sales rep was legit and on point too. He was great. Then the installation team that came in also knew what to do. They were flexible with my requests and got the job done.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

We live close to the water so there was a bad taste to it, as well as a salt intrusion. RainSoft reps came out, did a survey and made a written proposal to me, which I was happy with and able to evaluate. They were responsive to my query and they were able to answer all my questions. The sales rep was knowledgeable and he was willing to work with us in the installation as far as time was concerned. The installation went extremely well and it went very quickly. The installers knew what they were doing. And so, it was a good experience. They came back and checked with me a couple weeks after and answered questions that I had.

It’s been about three months now since we've had the system installed. Since then, the water taste is very good. There’s no distasteful aspect to the water. It is very soft, so in terms of using it for washing, laundry and so forth, it is very satisfactory. Others would need to have the kind of dialogue I had in terms of interview and have them do a survey before making any commitment. So far, we’re very happy with our RainSoft filter system.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

There is nothing wrong with the product itself. It does what they say it is supposed to do. My problem is that the sales guy, he flat out lied to me and my wife. He said the only maintenance would be to replace the filters under the sink every year which would be around $100. And that's it. LIE!!! After the first year, I had to pay $250 for filters and a so-called "Tune-up". Okay, a little pricey but the technician said the filter he installed would last 3 years instead of 1. LIE!!! Year# 2 I get a call from Rainsoft, "Hey it's time to get your filters replaced and have another tune-up." "What, I was told it would be 3 years?" "Oh, that was for a different filter. This time it will be $400 for the center filter and tank tune-up." **... For a system that costs over $10,000 I feel I was duped and well over-paid. Like I said it works, but so does bottled water. And a heck of a lot cheaper.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

The water quality here in Thornton is really bad. It is very hard and there are so many minerals in it. I could almost chew on it. The sprinkler system was staining my cedar fence which has white stains from all the minerals in it. One of the RainSoft guys came by my house and tested my water. That led to getting a system put in. Since I got the RainSoft, there has only been a bit of residue. We've had the system for about four months now and I like it.

I just did a re-generation on it the other day. It cleans the tank, but I didn’t realize that it uses up so much salt when I do that. It used about 10 pounds. However, it does so automatically and I want to do it manually and to see how it did that. The system is working well and I’m happy with it. I haven’t had any issues with it. I had some leaking out in the garage with it, but I just tightened up the fittings and it stopped leaking.

Last month however, I had to reset the clock on the computer in the control part. It didn’t reset automatically and it was an hour off. Still, I’m enjoying the system and it has worked well for me so far. I also get the soap for free. RainSoft is pricey but they're very sophisticated now. They’re all computerized, so I understand why they cost what they do. It’s over $7000, but I will tell my friends to get one if they can afford it.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

A guy from RainSoft came out and explained everything to us. He was decent, nice and informative and it was a good experience. It was interesting to hear about their product and showing us the results of their testing and what the water looked like coming out of the house after going through a filtering system. We purchased their product and we've been really satisfied with it.

The installer came and had the system done in no time. I went out there and he explained to me the system, how to turn it on, the floor, and everything else. He told me there would be somebody else coming in to do the final thing, and that somebody came in the next day. He was good and the experience was satisfactory. We have had the system since July and since then, our water tastes better. We can tell ‘cause we’ve been without a filtering system like that for years and there is a big difference. I recommend other people to get their water tested and look at RainSoft’s products.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

RainSoft's sales rep was very knowledgeable and she put on a nice demonstration. My wife and I bought everything she offered us. My wife thinks the products are great and she said the people who did the installation were wonderful. Since we had the system, I don’t get water spots on the glass in my greenhouse as well as on the glass shower walls, and that’s what sold the whole system.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I've had the RainSoft system for about a month and a half. When I was referred by JCPenney to them after I registered for a prize at the door, we were interested in the checkup and the demonstration and I was sucked in into it. The presentation took about 45 minutes. It was interesting how the water softeners clean the water filth, and the difference in the dishwasher, even the taste of the water after it was cleaned. The technician was very informative and knowledgeable. He went through the whole process. Also, the installers were awesome. They came up here and wrapped everything up in about three hours.

Everything has been running smoothly so far. However, looking at my interest rate and balance, they're outrageous. I’m paying 105, and my balance interest is already 60 dollars, so it’s only $40 toward my principal. Also, before I made my first payment in November, they're already charging me interest. Other than that, the quality of the water is good. You can tell when you take a shower and use the product with it. We're also not buying bottled water anymore. The water we have has a good taste in it. Rainsoft is a good system. It works and I would recommend it to any of my friends.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

Since we moved 10 years ago, my wife and I had been frequently talking about the quality of our water. We never did anything until we saw a rep from RainSoft at Home Depot. We went in wanting information and when we discussed our water situation, the rep made the system sound great. He had a lot to do with us going with the system. Two guys came to install the system over the weekend and they did a great job and as soon as it was installed, there is a world of a difference. We are using less lotion for our hands when we used to have dry skin. Also, the shower heads and tiles have been much easier to clean and have been less messy.

RainSoft works awesome and it is affecting everything. However, I am having trouble setting up the system on Wi-Fi. I have not been able to connect with my phone so, I would call and their guys could help me walk me through. The system has been in our home for about two months and it was mentioned to me that somebody could come back and test our water after the system has been installed and working for a while, to check the improvement and the quality of water. I would be interested in having someone to come out. That aside, I highly recommend RainSoft.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

The water in our area is very hard so it was ruining clothing and leaving spots on everything. We had to get a system to be sure. I got my first RainSoft system in 1987 and I’ve been working with Phil for quite a number of years. He explained everything to me and he explains things clearly. He takes his time, checks back and confirms appointments. He had also always been the one who came out when our old system broke down or was having some problems. He does a really nice job with the customers. He does all the things that you would want somebody to do.

When the other system needed to be replaced, it actually flooded the basement. We had saltwater all over the basement and it was horrible. But it was clean water. We bought a water softener and Phil installed the whole thing himself. He came when he said he was gonna come and he took the amount of time that he said he was gonna take. He explained everything to me about how the system operates and what the follow up would be. It went very smoothly. I’m not running out of salt now and the water’s much more consistently soft. With the old system, it seemed that we went through a lot of salt in a short amount of time. I was also happy to see some of the improvements that RainSoft made in the system. Updating it over the 30-year period that I had the old one to this new one, I expected them to do a lot of updates but this one seems to be working fine. I’m happy with the new features.

Resolution response: Nov. 12, 2018

I have to say I'm impressed that this company sincerely cares about customer satisfaction. It's one of the traits of a good company. After doing some research their unit is amoung a lower price range than some I've heard are as much as $15,000 for a unit to purify well water (boyfriend's sister)!. Also after further clarification the parts are waranteed but not maintainence. I understand most things require maintainence which is why I was so taken with a unit that didn't require any. Shame on the salesman again, but I should've known better. Again, always get things in writing but as for the company they will definitely stand behind their product. You can always talk to them direct for questions. They will take the time to explain their products and the knowledge they have of the industry. I appreciate that greatly. Will update you on the products after I get ingredients list . Which they are happily going to produce. True it saves you money but dish soap seems a little weak. Not sure if I agree that you wont' need conditioner any more but after knowing what's in most conditioners, you'll be glad you're not putting that in your hair or down your drains . Try a little shea butter instead. :

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

Salesman can promise anything. But unless you get it in writing, it doesn't mean a hill of beans. They're so far good on their products that come with it. But I'm not sold on the quality. And there is no ingredients list for any of them. After about a month and scale buildup, they tell me I need an additional unit: the softener. Which is what I believed would solve all these issues. $3500 I had already paid. After talking with the owner he was willing to put in a softener free of charge. Thank you! However after a year, an alarm goes off telling you to call the number and set up an appt for "fixing" it. Was charged $105 to do "yearly maintenance" which was not discussed or made known of upon purchase.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

We had extremely hard water. It was on the shower heads and we had to brush it off almost weekly. There were rings in the toilet almost overnight. I bought a water meter and our water was a 534, which was very close to undrinkable. I was in Home Depot looking for a water purifier, but they didn’t have the ones that I wanted on the floor. They said the only way to get those was to sign up and have someone come out. I didn’t want a salesman to come to the house, but after he did and showed us where our water was, it was a worthwhile visit. He wasn’t high pressure. He just went about his business, showed us where the water was, and showed us a couple of examples. We’d already done our shopping and he presented the price very quickly. I told him it was well out of bounds, it was more than we were willing to spend, but they were willing to negotiate and he got it right where I wanted it to be.

We purchased the biggest RainSoft system that they had and a gentleman came out for the installation. He was knowledgeable and he did a quick job putting it up and explained what he had done. The installation was good, but on the negative side, they gave you the window, around 1:00 to 4:00, but nobody said they would be there at 10:00 or 11:00. Other than that, he did a good job and he was out on time. Our water was a 534, while the Sunny bottled water was a 37. Since installing the system, our water is below what the Sunny bottled water is. It is a 27, which I was really impressed with, and there is softness that it makes us feel on our skin when we shower now, probably using a little less detergent and shampoo.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

The water is too hard here in the Riverview, Florida and I don’t want my appliances and my faucets to get damaged, so I chose to have a water softener. The RainSoft sales representative came on time and the demo was good and informative. He was a professional and he got the knowledge. I ended up purchasing the water softener. The installation was good too. The technician came on time and he did his job. The only things is RainSoft promised me I will be getting a $50 Home Depot gift card for accepting the demo, but I received the gift card for only $20. Nonetheless, since having the system installed, we've noticed that the water is good and fresh. We can drink the water and we are enjoying our shower. The water is too soft. Everyone knows the water softener and they know that everything is good and the water is clean, and I'm satisfied and happy.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

We had the person from Home Depot test our water quality. It was more of a magic show. We didn't care really. We had just had our first baby and wanted something. They use the "must sign up today for whatever reason" tactic. Product worked. We noticed a difference in our hair when we showered. But we didn't notice a different taste or anything from the reverse osmosis system. Following year, they came out to do the maintenance. It was $250. They changed 3 filters in the RO system.

Following year I declined the maintenance. Tried to find the filters online. They don't sell them and 3rd party ones do not fit. If you call the RainSoft Vendor, it's $160 for 3 filters - DIY. The RO system is bare minimum - 3 stage + mineral add. I bought a top of the line 7 stage RO system with UV light for $250. Filters for all are less than $100 a year. Point is, Rainsoft works. But they gouge you. The business model all around is shady. Do a little research and buy a premium system for a third of the cost.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

Setting up a consultation with RainSoft's rep went very smoothly. He was very knowledgeable, professional, and answered all our questions to our satisfaction. Our water is very hard and we wanted to get a water softener. We also decided to get a purifier. The installers did an excellent job and they cleaned up after themselves. They went above and beyond. The water has been wonderful since the installation of our system.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

A gentleman from RainSoft came out to explain and sold me on the product. I got the tank and then I had a water line put in as well. The installers came out twice. Once to put the unit in and then they had to come back and put down the line for the water for the refrigerator. Both experiences were great. I love the water system because of how the water has more taste and the water feeling. My friend loves it when she takes a bath. It's a good investment. I heard some noise from the system. Someone cleaned it and that was a good thing. I've been telling people to buy this system. It's one of the best.

RainSoft, A Division of Aquion, Inc. expert review by Greg Chick

RainSoft Water Treatment Systems is a company that offers residential customers water and air purification services. The company is headquartered in Elk Grove Village, IL, and they serve customers throughout the world.

• Convenience: There are hundreds of dealers across the world that can install RainSoft products, so the company is a convenient choice for customers throughout many parts of the United States and the world.

• Complimentary water test: The company provides customers with complimentary water tests to see if they are good candidates for water treatment or filtration.

• Taste and smell: RainSoft guarantees that their product will reduce unwanted smells and tastes in consumers' water, which makes it better to drink, wash food with, cook with and bathe in.

• Safe filtration methods: RainSoft uses activated carbon filtration, which is a method that has been deemed safe for use by the Environmental Protection Agency, and they do not use any harsh chemical products in their purification process.

• Movable: The filtration systems manufactured by RainSoft can be moved from home to home, which means customers can take their system with them when they move and that they do not have to purchase multiple systems if they end up choosing to live in multiple homes.

• Best for: Homeowners with hard water, homeowners near a compromised water supply and rural customers using well water.

Profile picture of Greg Chick
Greg Chick Water Treatment Systems Contributing Editor

Greg Chick has worked as an entrepreneur for over 40 years with a background in plumbing, irrigation, pools and water heating. He is a member of Green Plumbers USA, International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials and American Society of Plumbing Engineers. Greg works to educate residential consumers about quality plumbing products.

RainSoft Water Treatment Systems Company Information

RainSoft, A Division of Aquion, Inc.
1953