4.39/5
Based on 222 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Since 1953, RainSoft has been a worldwide leader in providing families with premium water treatment and air purification systems. Visit bit.ly/RS-dealer to become a dealer! For more than 60 years, RainSoft is dedicated to designing, manufacturing and offering the industry's most diverse product line of water and air solutions for families like yours.

Our corporate Customer Focus Team ensures that each and every RainSoft customer is satisfied and exceeds every expectation. If you have a question, comment or concern, we encourage you to contact us directly at 1-800-RAINSOFT and ask to speak with our customer service group.

A leader in the water treatment industry since 1953, RainSoft takes the worry out of water.

RainSoft, A Division of Aquion, Inc. Gallery (1)
A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experienceDissatisfied with the experienceSatisfied with the experienceHappy with the experienceWould recommend to a friend
Last updated: April 13, 2018

1748 RainSoft Water Treatment Systems Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 13, 2018

I have now had my system for over 4 months. What a amazing thing!!! I use to use bottled water for all my cooking recipes and now I have Rainsoft and it's clear that I am saving money. The water feels so refreshing when I shower. My hair is shinier than ever! Highly highly recommend this to everyone. Water is a essential!! If you have been to Aruba they have amazing water drink from the tap, this is right up the same alley! Rainsoft = Aruba. LOL. :) Happy customer since day 1...

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: March 29, 2018

When the RainSoft team installed the system, I wasn't there, but my wife was and she kept calling me because the guys wanted to take the easy way out on their installation. I have an unfinished basement and they were very insistent on where they wanted to put the water filter system which was going to be in the way when I finish the basement. I have a utility room in the basement for the water heater, furnace, and that’s where I wanted all the filter system to be. Eventually, they ended up just doing it and put it in there. I didn’t appreciate that they argued with me about where they wanted to put it. If I were home, it would have been a whole different story. I probably would've let them out of the house.

Moreover, I wasn't a big fan of the system. It took a month for it to stop burping air. I also do not believe these guys know how pressure and flow work because they’d choke everything down so far that the water coming out of the refrigerator has no pressure. So, it takes a minute and a half to fill up a glass of water. Nevertheless, the sales representative did well, I feel the product isn’t equal to the sales pitch. I could not get the soap off of my hands when I take a shower but they would say it's because the water is soft. I can literally wipe my hands off in the shower, scrub them good, and then I'll take them out of the water and I'll rub them together and they'll set up. It's not just the water being soft, I know that there's still soap on my hands. That right there is very disappointing.

Original review: March 16, 2018

I noticed a grittiness in my water, so I did a Home Depot water test. RainSoft came out and did that. Their sales rep was awesome. She was honest and very outgoing. She did the water test in front of us and she showed us the difference between regular water and soft water and the oxygen that it actually carries. We also watched a couple of videos on her laptop. She truly explained everything to us, the pros and the cons. I found out my water was nasty and I got a whole house system from them.

For a minute I had to reschedule when they're coming out, but then we finally figured it out so they’re able to come out. The person who then installed the system went through and told me how to operate it, in case the light comes on and the light goes off and how it runs off on the cold water for my washer. He also told us that our faucet water was for drinking and cooking and then the other one was still filtered. I noticed a big difference in a lot of stuff since I got the system. My clothes weren’t as sticky as normal when they come off the washer. The water also tastes really good. Rainsoft is a really great investment.

Original review: March 7, 2018

Thank you guys from RainSoft (Dan ** and the team). Nathan ** came out on a Friday afternoon and did the water test and found our water hardness was 16 G.P.G. and our TDS: was 485 P.P.M. and Nitrates was 4 P.P.M. So Nathan called in and set up an appointment for the team to be out at 8 am Saturday morning and the guys were here at 8 am sharp. Within a few hours we had fresh clean water with a R/O system under our sink in the kitchen. The guys were great. They got the job done and cleaned up everything. Our water never tasted better. It's like having bottled water and we never have to leave the house. Thank you guys. You made my wife happy again. Thanks.

Original review: March 7, 2018

Many years ago, friends of ours got RainSoft and were eloquent over how much they loved it. They talked about how much everything improved. You didn't need nearly as much detergent. Your water bills went down because the water was softer. There was no buildup in pipes. Your clothes last a lot longer and feel better being cleaned in soft water. The things they were telling us all sounded good and that convinced us that we should get it.

The reps were very nice and helpful. They installed it well when it was first put in. The only downside was the original tank stopped working. The person that came in said that they can either replace the whole thing, which is over $1,000, or have a less expensive one they can put it. Over $1,000 wasn't in our budget, so we took the less expensive one. It lasted less than two years, which made it not really cost-effective. When I had to get it replaced again and complained to another guy, he said that part of it was still good and I didn't really need to replace it. They could give me a second tank, which would last a lot longer and I'd have two tanks instead of one. He said that will take care of the problem. It was a lot less expensive and it did last a lot longer.

The only other negative was that one guy who serviced it turned off the water, pushed the rod that disabled the RainSoft and never pushed it back on again. It went a whole year not knowing that. Their servicemen should know how to make sure that everything is back to the way it was so it's really working again. But most of the servicemen that had come in had been really nice. The last guy was the nicest and I liked him the best. He had been around the most and was the most laid-back, knowledgeable, and nothing fazes him.

After we had RainSoft installed, when you bathe yourself, it's a much cleaner experience. I had washed my hair and went to my hairdresser to get a haircut. She was astounded and kept saying that my hair is so shiny. Moreover, now, we use only a fraction of the soap and shampoo so we definitely get savings there. However, it takes years to break even from what it had cost. I also had them put an extra filter for my drinking water because I drink water almost exclusively. My coffee tastes way better when using soft water. I have recommended RainSoft a couple of times.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RainSoft, A Division of Aquion, Inc.?

Original review: March 4, 2018

Product I have no complaints, customer service I give 1 star - First off, I have had the system for just under 3 years now. I guess I should have written this a little earlier but the product is great. Little expensive but does everything I was told it would do. Manager was supposed to install my system but after being rescheduled due to "being busy", tech arrived with product. He was very nice and installed the system. About 3 months after install, salt tank overflowed due to incorrect install (my fault for not checking periodically). Long story short, damaged some of the drywall and wood doors on the bottom where water sat and soaked into. Called the manager of the RainSoft where I am located and it was like pulling teeth for them to get someone to come "look" at the damage.

Had a different install tech correct the faulty hoses. Manager NEVER came to look and make sure I was taken care of. Did about HALF of the repairs. Just felt like once they sold me the product I was not important. I am going to have them come uninstall it from current house and move to new house and hope I have no issues with that! Thought I would just warn you to CHECK THE INSTALL. Hope your experience is better than mine! Once again, product is great!

Original review: March 3, 2018

After they show up at your house and pit on their grand show and sign you up for service, that's where the customer service stops. They lie to you at every turn and feed you half truths. Before you get the system installed in your home the founder gives you a call and speaks highly of the things they provide. After that you can't even get a call back for your concerns. I have been waiting for one for the last 4 to 5 months and the Secretary blows you off every chance she can.

My system broke and they had the nerve to charge me after telling me over the phone that I had lifetime warranty. The system leaks and they have been coming back and forth to my house to fix major issues and still have yet to fix the problems. Oh yeah I won't mention the hidden service fee they toss in after a year. 300 dollar charge for yearly service that is mandatory. The system sounds like it will explode at any second in my garage because it shut down because of a faulty part that they knew about but couldn't take 5 minutes out of their day to notify their customers so that when our systems break down we are well aware. Customer service is non-existent unless it involves taking your money.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

I bought a filter 2-1-2018. I called OKC, OK. February 15 about a leak. I talk to someone at 405-684 -9370. She told me she would there tell plumber. I took it that someone would be there 2-15, I called there at 10:00 am that morning. Their plumber call and wanted picture of the problem. They got one, I called later that day it was leaking at the brass fitting on the filter. She said ok. They would tell the plumber. I got the number of the plumber and call. No answer. No show up that day. I call 2-16-18. She "Oh you have to call the plumber" so I ask her why they needed a picture. She had told me, "Because they do not have parts on their truck."

I proceed to tell that's my first indication. That's something wrong. They did not have the parts on their truck when came out to install it. They had everything that truck. I call them 2-16. No answer. Left message. Haven't heard nothing. It leaking! In my well house! Now if they don't come out 'til Monday I want my cash back and take it out! IF IT'S SHADY WORK THAT MEANS IT NOT NO GOOD AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED. AND I AM NOT CALLING THEM AGAIN!!!

RainSoft Water Treatment Systems response

Thank you for contacting us about your concern with your RainSoft water treatment system. We have contacted your installing dealer, who will be contacting you shortly.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

We found RainSoft at Home Depot. We definitely had hard water, we just weren’t sure which system to go with. The reviews for RainSoft were great so we decided to go with them. The sales guy was very nice but there was incorrect information given. First we were told there would be free soap and cleaning products for life. We were supposed to get one box each year with a year's supply of cleaning products as part of our package. When we ran out of our first package, no second package was sent, when we called to ask, we were then told we only get packages when we refer someone to get a system. That was a BIG selling point and one of the reasons we agreed to pay nearly $5,000 for the system, but of course there we were a year later, so out of luck for us.

Second we were told there was a lifetime guarantee and warranty on all parts and labor, for any defects not related to owner at fault damages, as long as we always contact RainSoft directly and they are the only ones who maintain the system. Wrong again. We had the system for about 7 or 8 years without issue until suddenly and for no reason, the under the counter unit rusted out! Of course it leaked like crazy when this happened and nearly ruined my wood floors! The unit was never touched or moved in any way and was completely untampered with in any way. I called RainSoft thinking it wouldn’t be an issue and got sent on a wild goose chase of third party repair and maintenance companies. The hold times, transfers and leaving messages without calls returned were unbelievable.

Finally when I was able to get a hold of someone who could “Help” me, I was informed it would be $100 just for someone to come out and look at my rusted unit (even though I had a full description with pictures) and I would be responsible for ALL replacement costs. I gave up. We just detached and bypassed the unit to prevent further damage from leaks. I have four children ages four and under and don’t have time to argue with and chase people. I was beyond disappointed to waste nearly $5,000 when money is so tight. I wouldn’t recommend Rain Soft to anyone. Even for a free box of soap!

RainSoft Water Treatment Systems response

Thank you for contacting us about your dissatisfaction with your local dealer service. We will be contacting them to look into this further.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

To start, the products Rain Soft sells are truly amazing. In fact, I believe they sell themselves. It's definitely an investment not only for your home but also for your health. I'm not one to do reviews often but I feel like this one is important. My average review (2/5 stars) is not really reflective upon the product (Water Softener AMT75CV) itself but moreover it's about the workmanship. Unfortunately after the great demo, and great negotiation in pricing terms/conditions, Rainsoft completely dropped the ball on the installation. To start, the installation took nearly double the amount of time it should've (not really that big of a deal). I get, things happen and it's easy to lose track of time. Our installer for the most part was a nice guy but he really wasn't being thorough through the installation process. His lack of attention caused him drill unnecessary hole through the cinderblock of the garage which wasn't filled.

Next, he drilled a second hole to run the black drain pipe out of which chipped the exterior stucco significantly. The black drain pipe was then fed through that hole and left dangling sloppily outside of the house. Lastly, upon removing our old outdate water softener system he decided to dump the old salt from that old system onto the street. Now he assured is that it would dissolve quickly with water so upon his reassurance I was ok with it. Needless to say, that salt hasn't dissolved yet. Of course, I brought all these issues up to the follow up representative from Rain Soft who came to inspect the installation and although he was fairly new to the company he said he'd never seen anything like this. He assured me that this matter would be fixed quickly and that the work order would be escalated. Unfortunately his version of quickly isn't all that quick after-all.

So finally, I've decided to write this review. Perhaps the pictures combined with this note will grab their attention a bit more. Moral of the story is... if you're going to pay top dollar for a great product you'd hope to have a much better installation process and an even more prompt response process. To all of you out there reading this, I certainly hope you don't experience this process but rather enjoy the softener for the great product it is.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

This is the first bad review I have ever written on any company. My husband and I purchased a Rainsoft system in 2013, paid $8,000 for this system and they have been out numerous times to service this system, but my complaint is for the last 6 months. It has ran our water bills up saying the two of us have used 17,000 gallons of water. They will come out and replace the seals or reset something on it and before we know it we get another huge water bill. It's like buying a lemon for a car. I feel like for this kind of money, they should replace our machine, to make it right.

The machine is paid off, but I can't get them to do anything so please think hard if you are considering purchasing from Rainsoft, because they do not stand behind their machines, once they sell them. Not only do we have a machine that won't work but we also have been out excess money on water bills, so as I write this complaint we are having to bathe in strong chlorine water after spending $8,000 on a water purifying system!!!! Very angry about this situation!!!

RainSoft Water Treatment Systems response

Thank you for making us aware of your concerns. We will be contacting your local dealer.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

No one told us anything. If we knew after paying 2500 that we would be charged 200 a year and 700 every 5 years we probably would have went to Sears and the water has had a funny taste now. They send us a card that was almost like a threat. I called and it was them. Haha. Home Depot dropped them a month after we got it. They said they had bad service. But the water was good in the beginning. We have had the system almost 3 1/2 years.

RainSoft Water Treatment Systems response

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Bought system in August of 2017. Installer didn't want to put system in crawled space. Said he didn't want to have us get in crawl to change filters. He installed it on an outside wall. I ask him how do you keep it from freezing, since all he did was place batt insulation around system in small storage shed that he furnished. I was told to not worry about it as this is their approved process. Being a retired engineer I again asked how do you keep the water from freezing without a heat source, and again I am told to not worry about it.

Well, as you can guess, 12/31/17 night the system froze up and I had to get plumber to unthaw New Year's Day. Ask Rainsoft to pay plumbers bill of $280.00. Randy of Huntsville branch said I should have had enough common sense to run water when it gets that cold. I would have run water if me and my wife had not been told "don't worry about it". I have just had my crawl space heated so I don't have to worry about running water when it gets cold. We feel that Rainsoft should pay plumbers bill, since we were told not to worry about it and that is exactly what we did, follow their instructions.

RainSoft Water Treatment Systems response

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

I picked up a water test at Home Depot, they tested for hard water and sent a technician. I advised the caller that I couldn't afford a new system, they reassured me it was just a test. A wonderful man, Joe ** came to the house and showed us this amazing product which we would love to buy one day. When we agreed to allow him come out we were promised a $20 Home Depot gift card, I emailed a month later to inquire where it was, it was promised "hopefully" before Christmas. We didn't get a gift card and now it all feels like a sham.

RainSoft Water Treatment Systems response

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

We've had RainSoft for years and we like the system but we're not happy with the service. We had really bad experiences for getting the system reinstated. The water was smelly and yellow, and the people at Rainsoft had to keep coming out. My husband almost had the system taken out. We were going to Pelican so RainSoft's lucky we stayed with them which was only through my tolerance of the situation.

When the salespeople came out to our house, a guy said we needed to redo the carbon padding and if we do it within 30 days, they wouldn't charge us a house service fee. But the boss here in Denver is not a very nice guy and when they came to do the job, he said we had to have that in writing. I told him to ask the first guy if that was what he said. The guy was there and he confirmed it. So they took it off the bill but they were sure nasty about it. They went through all my invoices and I paid $3,000 to have it all redone, updated and fixed, and I didn't appreciate being treated like that. We've got the system fixed now and hopefully it'll last. But next time, I know to put everything in writing. I'm also going to tape record everything they say because the boss doesn't back up what his people say.

RainSoft Water Treatment Systems response

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

The sales rep from RainSoft was chatty but he was very cool and super friendly. We live out here in the country and our water is super hard. We got the water conditioner from RainSoft and you can definitely tell that the water is softer. But when you brush your teeth, it feels a little slimier than usual and I'm not sure why that is.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

Our water smelled terrible like rotten eggs and we heard about RainSoft through my brother in-law. Then I had a good experience during the consultation with RainSoft. The sales rep was informative, told us everything that we needed to know and answered our questions. We got the iron filter, the softener and the reverse osmosis drinking water. The installation went well considering what they were working on. We had a trailer and had a few little odd connections here and there and caused them to go make a couple of extra trips down to the hardware store 10 miles away or so. But it wasn’t any problem with the installer as far as whining and crying about having to do anything extra. Both the iron filter and the water softener had issues after and when we came back from Georgia there was always a sound of water running in the drain.

I looked in the brine tank and it was about up to the top of the brine tank with water and I only had maybe less than a half bag of salt in it. So, I had to call Jared and he talked to me over the phone. I mentioned that the water was running and he said, “Well I’m glad you said that. I’m going to have to come out and look at that.” So he said, “Turn it off, bypass it and I’ll be out there as soon as I can.” I had to call and make the appointment so he could because he was all filled up with installations and other things. And so he came out and there were items on the iron filter. It was something that came that way or something got dislodged. The spring or something moved inside so he took it all apart, dried it, cleaned it and put it back together. The spring went down a little further into a pocket than what it was when we took it apart so he thought that might have been it.

He ended up taking the other one apart on the RainSoft unit because he wasn’t able to get the water out of the brine tank by resetting it and making it run through a cycle. The water was still running so when he called the company, they said, “Well, give it just a little bit more time and it should stop running.” It drizzled for another minute or so after we shut it off and then it stopped. We figured that was the issue. It took longer than what we thought it should to stop running the water but it was okay. But he checked the inside of that and reset a couple of things and everything has been good since. RainSoft had taken care of all the problems we had so far. Everything with the installation and the sales is a little pricier than what you expect sometimes but if everything turns out right, it’s worth it in the long run. I would recommend RainSoft for those with bad smelling water.

I still got a pre-filter on that I’ve had all the time where the water comes right into the house by the pump entrance. I change that once a month and that’s normally reddish color and so I figure he had concurred me to leave that in there to pre-filter everything else and that might make everything else last just a few years longer by filtering some of the water before it goes into the equipment.

I also got just one thing I’m concerned about that’s kind of a hustle. They gave me what they advertised as a $25 gift certificate but in order to get this I have to go to this website which is evidently restaurant.com and purchase these restaurant things in $10 or $15 increments, some are $25. So there was only $10 discount on them but then they ran out of them and then I have to go back and try to get them again. It just seems like a $25 Visa card to do anything I want would be a whole lot simpler. Because I got to keep going back to check see if there's a restaurant that’s close enough by to make it worthwhile.

I don’t want to spend $20 in gas to save $10 on a coupon. It's like driving 20 miles to save a penny on gas. You burn up your savings in the first mile. So that was my only basic beef with the whole operation. Maybe something could be done about that because they just seems to be a lot of rigmarole to go through. It just seems kind of a pain in the neck just to get $25 off on a dinner on something. No doubt I appreciate the $25 but if you got to work that hard at it, it just kind of discourages some people. But they’re welcome if they want to send $25 gift certificate to us. That would be nice.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

We've always been buying bottled water but we wanted to stop and get a filtration system in place. So we purchased the basic water treatment system from RainSoft. It’s the one that goes under the sink. First, I asked the sales rep some questions about the system and pricing, and how things were, to understand the whole process first. And then I said, "Yes, let's get someone out here and check my water and go through what needs to take place if I want to purchase it." It was very easy.

The sales agent who came out was very good. He knew what he was talking about so all my questions were answered and he looked very knowledgeable about the product and how things work. The installers came out and did the installation for me. It was good. He came over, installed it, showed me how it works, and showed me how to replace the filter if I needed to. He explained it very well and had no complaints there. He was fairly quick as well. My experience with RainSoft was definitely positive and I'm happy with my product.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

We bought a house that has well water so it would be best that we treated that water as properly as possible. I filled something out online and then I got a confirmation that someone was going to come and do a sales pitch. It was pretty smooth and it went well, but we were already leaning towards getting the Rainsoft system because I did a bunch of research and I was looking at other systems. With the rate of having to change the filters and general upkeep, somehow I saw Rainsoft just to be the best one. Also, learning about some of the different technology that's used with those systems, they used some of the advanced systems. I was pretty impressed with them. It was an easy sell for the salesman but he was great. He went over it with me, broke down the process and explained it in detail for us.

We paid the system in full. It was a little bit off for doing a few extra things like putting the sign up and being flexible on our install, but they chipped away a little bit from the price for us. Also, the install people were great and they accommodated my schedule. They came in and it took them about an hour roughly, pretty quick. Their installers cleaned everything up so fast. After the install, they explained everything. They even went down to the basement with me and we went over a few things with the system itself. Since the installation of the system, there is a very clear and blatant difference between the old filter and the new system. The system was definitely very expensive, which is a huge drawback, but I love it.

There are other systems that attempt to do the same thing. We probably could have saved $4,000 by using a less expensive system. But again, it's just not wanting to do with the maintenance and all that, so we went ahead and went for RainSoft. But it was phenomenal, and I would have bought it anyway. Overall, the RainSoft customer service was on point and we had them come out for several checks for us. Their agents were super great.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

One of the RainSoft reps was coming door-to-door and we let him come in and test our waters out. We realized instantly that we need their system because we have city water and it grossed us out on what we've been bathing in. The consultation was really comfortable. It didn't feel awkward having a complete stranger in our house. The sales rep seemed like he knew what he was doing. He was telling us what stuff he would be putting into the water to show us how dirty our water was. He was really professional. He knows what he can do with all of the little gadgets he had.

One thing that we got to experience when the sales rep came to our door at first was to introduce us to what the water is or not. He had us wash our hands with our water at first. Our hands didn't feel as clean and then we did with the water that he had. With the soft water, our hands felt so moisturized. They feel squeaky clean but not dried out.

Our son has a mast cell disease in his outer pigment of skin so the presentation was an eye-opener making us think, "Oh my God. Our kid is in harm with the water." It was kind of scary. But we don't drink out of it, we know better. We used to live in Louisiana and that was brown water. We've always had a Brita filter even for our dogs as well. They don't drink out of the faucet. That whole experience of him showing us, testing all the waters and showing us that our clothes and towels aren't really getting washed made us think. They still have soap in them and when he did it with his water it came out clear water. We bought the whole house system and we put it in our garage because that was the only room that we had. But they also gave us a whole lifetime of different soap and detergent once we signed on so that’s a huge money saver as well.

At first, when the installers came, they went to see if they could put the thing in the garage because we weren't approved yet. But I thought, "Why are they digging holes in our yard." I was thinking, they better fill that out. Other than that, once we got approved, we thought it was a good thing. They had to see where our water line was. I didn't realize how big it was. The installers have been really courteous. They didn't rush you like some people would. The installation also went really well. Since the installation of the system, the clothes smell a lot more fresh, especially the towels. Having the system is the best thing to do. Especially in the inner states like Louisiana and we live in Texas so the water is not all that great to drink out of. To know what's in the water is crazy. RainSoft is definitely a good investment especially when you have children.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

I've been a Rainsoft customer for 12 years and it's been great. They were recommended by the builder of our house and I kept my business with them since they have always done a good job. I had to keep up regularly with the water systems maintenance so I needed a company that I could rely on. I started scheduling regular visits with Rainsoft and eventually, they needed to replace some parts. Rainsoft put in a brand-new filtration system for my home and replaced some things outside a couple of months ago. They were very friendly, helpful and reliable. One of the managers, his name is Rick, went above and beyond and was able to secure for me a longer 0% financing from Home Depot. Rainsoft has been really good and any time they've had to come out and adjust or fix something, they've been able to do that with no additional costs sometimes. Now we have good quality water coming into the house.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

We picked up a free water test kit when we went to Home Depot, and had it sent in. Then a representative called us and came over to the house. Our water is actually from a well so we decided to have it tested and it came back with pretty high levels of contaminants. The sales rep was very friendly and professional. He set up a whole mini-laboratory here in the kitchen and analyzed everything, and he showed us what we needed and what we should get. He was very good and helpful, and he steered us in the right direction. He was also very knowledgeable and he seemed to have done that quite often before. We got a Pentair water purification system model RO-2550, and it's under the kitchen sink that’s for drinking water. The system is in the basement and it also filters the whole house for contaminants.

The installation team has been wonderful and we've had them out several times because the unit was making a whistling sound, like if you put a blade of grass between your thumbs and blow sound. RainSoft sent one repairman out and he replaced the part, but that didn't function. So, they sent another repairman who diagnosed it, but he did not have another part. The third time they came out, they replaced all that’s there and they did their magic, and it hasn't made any sound since and it's functioning well. Since the installation, the water quality has been good. This is also a salt type system like the one that we had before, but that was of a different nature and the water had a slimy feel to it. Everything's out of the water and it's great.

We bought a hydrometer for testing periodically and I tested the water once since that date. That says it's good water, so I'm not complaining. However, there was a misrepresentation by the first man that came out. He said our ice cubes are milky and cloudy, and when you go to a good restaurant, you get those absolutely crystal diamond ice cubes. He said this purification system would give us that because the contaminants are out of the water. Now we tested the water again, myself included, and the water is very good, yet the ice cubes are not what the salesman promised. That's not a make or break but that was kind of a misleading statement. Nevertheless, we're very satisfied and the animals are happy. They can drink the water now and we don't have to buy a bottle of water for them. I'd recommend RainSoft.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

I was always concerned about the quality of our water. When I pour it on a glass I could see the hard water spots. My parents used RainSoft for several years. And when we went into Home Depot we got a water test kit, which got them to come out to our house. As soon as we got the test and found out we did have hard water we were very eager to get the system in place.

We both work during the day and their reps were able to come over in the evening after we were off of work so that worked really great for us. They were knowledgeable and they did a good job at demonstrating the different products and explaining the services that they had. It was a very good experience and we were happy with it. We got a water softener and a reverse osmosis water filtration system in our main sink in the kitchen, which we use for our drinking water or cooking, etc.

Rainsoft sent an installation team and they had a little bit of issue with the wiring -- how our house was built and how things were placed. But they were able to work around everything and it didn't take too long. They were here when they said they were going to be here and after they left everything was up and running. The water definitely tastes better when we drink it out of the RO filter and showering with a soft water feels a little bit better. It gets the soap out of your hair, for example, a little bit better. The experience has been convenient. I don't want to say luxurious but if you can afford the services it's nice to have.

On top of everything else I really appreciated the initial soap discounts that they gave us. There was a website that they gave us where they gave us so many points to use that translated to kind of free money on the website. I've since used all of it. I purchased all the soap products that they had and I love them so much that I've actually continued using that website and paying my own money for it.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

Our water here is very hard. We contracted with RainSoft 17 years ago. We have the soft water system, as well as the reverse osmosis for drinking water. A couple of months ago, I had the equipment upgraded. I also had routine maintenance being done at the same time. Their reps scheduled the service appointment and they were very pleasant. Their technician was exceptionally good and I appreciate it when he's the person who is doing the service. He has a wealth of experience and familiarity with the equipment and is very congenial and helpful. The system is working fine and that's why we've stuck with them all these years. RainSoft has been responsive and capable.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

The water seemed to be a little bit on the hard side and I wanted to see about softening it up a little bit so I researched about treatment systems. I called up RainSoft and agreed with a rep on the time and they’d come out. He explained everything to me and my wife, and then set up appointment to install everything. It seemed like he knew everything about the product. He’s really good. I got a thing that goes under the sink that softens that water there on the sink. I also got a thing that’s built outside that softens all the water in the house. And then I got a thing that fits on my furnace and takes the germs out there. One guy did all the installation. He got here about 9:00 in the morning and finished up about 4:00 in the afternoon. And everything went good. The water is softer now and doesn’t have any funny taste. So far, I'm satisfied but the system is expensive though.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

My husband was in Home Depot and he found some information about RainSoft. We had been worried about our water for quite a long time. We didn't know quite what to do about it. They said a sales rep could come out and talk to us about it and he gave us a demonstration. The sales rep was an older guy and he was very nice. He tested our water and showed us that it wasn't really that good. He did well on the demonstrations, but my husband didn't like to make decisions in one day so it took us about a month to really think about this. He is an engineer, and he was scared of making the wrong decision as it was just too expensive for us. Then, the store manager called him back and said there were other options.

The sales rep tried to sell us all this laundry detergent and my husband didn't think we can afford all that so, we just got the system that just filters out the water put in our garage. We got something a little bit less expensive that my husband thought would be good and we love the water ever since. The installer did a really good job of putting it in our garage and he was very friendly, nice and efficient. My daughter has autism, which means her immune system is really bad. We had noticed that she was itching after showers and all that is gone after the system was installed. It was an excellent experience.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

Company failed to disclose necessary information about upkeep expense of equipment, expiration date of points for `free household supplies'. Cost of buying salt crystals is more expensive than H20 we were purchasing. Did not supply written info about having mandatory praise letter recommending system (and provide list of friends' names and #s) PRIOR to getting membership for household items. Was lied to about being able to get name brand products my family used. After several months, the water still had rings around toilet. Here we are 5 years later OUT of our $$$, unused points expired and stuck with a system that is not financially beneficial nor cleaning water as informed. There should be a class action lawsuit against this company. If I find out how to start/join class action lawsuit, I will begin/join one.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

We were buying sparkly bottled water. My husband heard of RainSoft and did some research on it. The sales rep was very cooperative and broke the parts down to us, so he was great. We understood everything he said and got a lot of information from it. He is the one man who answered all the questions and my daughter had a little input. We were shown that there were little particles in our water and, for me, it’s safer to buy the RainSoft water so we went with them. We probably would have been with it a long time ago, but we had second doubts.

We got a home unit and a guy came out to set the system up. It took him almost half a day but he was great and very knowledgeable. Plus, he took the junk with him. We also purchased quite a bit of stuff for personal and dishwashing cleansing. The drinking water is definitely different as well as the bath water. It’s very soft and I don't see buildup. I would let someone else know about the product and the person who came out because he was very nice and knowledgeable and listened to what I had to say. Both guys were excellent.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

The bad taste of the city tap water made us interested in water treatment systems. The consultation with the RainSoft sales rep was excellent. He was very helpful and informative. He showed us some bottled water that came back bad with the high readings. Not only our tap water, some bottled water was as bad as our tap water. Then he showed us how the suds will last longer and it won’t take as much product for a soap than it will with the tap water. We bought the unit that goes underneath the sink for the individual drinking water and the whole house system. The installer did the job in a couple of hours and he was very informative. He let me know what he was doing and what to expect. I love the system and I have no regrets buying it.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

RainSoft's representatives have been excellent. We had a sales rep come in 20 years ago and do the presentation, and we were impressed and bought the whole system. We recently moved and had business with RainSoft again. Our technician, Marick, did a really good job when he removed the system from the old house and then installed it a few days later in the new house. He was very helpful, professional and answered any questions that we had. With RainSoft, the water is softer and we've been fairly healthy over the years because of it. We won't do without it now. We had the bacteria light replaced annually in the past, but we were told we don't need it anymore because we're on the municipal water. So, there has been no maintenance other than replenishing the salt. RainSoft is the best system around for clean and healthy water.

RainSoft, A Division of Aquion, Inc. expert review by Greg Chick

RainSoft Water Treatment Systems is a company that offers residential customers water and air purification services. The company is headquartered in Elk Grove Village, IL, and they serve customers throughout the world.

• Convenience: There are hundreds of dealers across the world that can install RainSoft products, so the company is a convenient choice for customers throughout many parts of the United States and the world.

• Complimentary water test: The company provides customers with complimentary water tests to see if they are good candidates for water treatment or filtration.

• Taste and smell: RainSoft guarantees that their product will reduce unwanted smells and tastes in consumers' water, which makes it better to drink, wash food with, cook with and bathe in.

• Safe filtration methods: RainSoft uses activated carbon filtration, which is a method that has been deemed safe for use by the Environmental Protection Agency, and they do not use any harsh chemical products in their purification process.

• Movable: The filtration systems manufactured by RainSoft can be moved from home to home, which means customers can take their system with them when they move and that they do not have to purchase multiple systems if they end up choosing to live in multiple homes.

• Best for: Homeowners with hard water, homeowners near a compromised water supply and rural customers using well water.

Profile picture of Greg Chick
Greg Chick

Water Treatment Systems Contributing Editor

Greg Chick has worked as an entrepreneur for over 40 years with a background in plumbing, irrigation, pools and water heating. He is a member of Green Plumbers USA, International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials and American Society of Plumbing Engineers. Greg works to educate residential consumers about quality plumbing products.

RainSoft Water Treatment Systems Company Information

RainSoft, A Division of Aquion, Inc.
1953