4.56/5
Based on 308 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Since 1953, RainSoft has been a worldwide leader in providing families with premium water treatment and air purification systems. Visit bit.ly/RS-dealer to become a dealer! For more than 60 years, RainSoft is dedicated to designing, manufacturing and offering the industry's most diverse product line of water and air solutions for families like yours.

Our corporate Customer Focus Team ensures that each and every RainSoft customer is satisfied and exceeds every expectation. If you have a question, comment or concern, we encourage you to contact us directly at 1-800-RAINSOFT and ask to speak with our customer service group.

A leader in the water treatment industry since 1953, RainSoft takes the worry out of water.

RainSoft, A Division of Aquion, Inc. Gallery (1)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1917 RainSoft Water Treatment Systems Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

We were initially told false information about the cost of this product, and then to further poke the bear, we have been trying to contact someone from the company for over a week now and shut down every time. When given a number to contact the manager he was extremely rude and hung up. I have never experienced such poor customer service in my life. Everything was great until it came down to the administrative aspect of this all. I could go on about the numerous issues we have had. Don’t waste your money.

Get expert buying tips about Water Treatment Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

We have been recommending this system and Ash (the representative) to all our friends and family, ever since to put our system in... When Ash first arrived to our home he introduced himself and was very friendly and approachable and was super friendly with our 4 year old... We, my husband and I had a lot of questions and every question we had Ash knew the answer and was patient and explained everything to a "T". He did a lot of demonstrations for us. Showed us the difference between the water (that we thought was good) and to the filter system... Our hands were soft and the drinking water was super light and fresh to drink... We couldn't believe what was in the water without the filter. We will not be going back to our old way without the filter...

We now save so much money on just bottled water while saving the environment... After our system was put in within 24 hours, Ash contacted us to make sure everything was ok and if we were happy, 48 hours later Ash came back to our house to test our water and to make sure we were happy and if everything was ok, and if we had any further questions (everything was amazing and Ash reassured us if we needed anything he was there for us). I recommend you call the office and ask for Ash to come to your home to test your water...

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

The difference in the water makes everything different. All you got to do is look at how and when we use water. I've only had my system for two days. The water tastes better. The water washes my body better ie: soap works better. My makeup even goes on and functions better because of my cleaner skin. They installed it quickly and easily. They were polite, professional and fast. It was one of the best decisions I've made. It sounds crazy and I can't be 100% sure it has to do with the water but the music coming out of my radio sounds better.

I thought maybe my radio station was broadcasting differently but then I was thinking I wonder if the water flushed the wax out of my ears or something but I hear music better... It sounds different and I was in the car this morning on my way home from work, then I showered this afternoon and went to work in the evening and on the way to work the radio sounded weird. My first thought was... is it the radio station or my car. Then I thought what if it's my ears!!! I fully expect more things to be better simply because the water flowing through my house is better!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

We were thinking about getting a water treatment system knowing that the hard water was tough on the skin, a little less healthy and tougher on all of our appliances. The RainSoft rep did a good job explaining everything, kept it very clear, and answered all our questions. He was great. We purchased the softeners, the thing that injects ozone into the laundry, and the air quality ultraviolet filter. The installation was very smooth, clean, and the installers put the system exactly in the right spot, and it’s easy to manage where they installed it.

We noticed a difference since the system has been installed. There’s an improvement in our dry skin and there's no harshness on the skin. Our clothes are coming out better or softer, and less rough when it’s dry. Also, it’s good to know that the ultraviolet is killing the floating little things. RainSoft lived up to its billing. If you don’t have the softener, you’re spending that money on products to counter the hardness. There’s a lot of money going out the door, so you might as well put it towards a system that’s actually improving things.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

The place we moved into is a townhouse and it hadn’t been lived in for two years. So, the water in the refrigerator and the water coming out of the faucet didn’t have a good taste to it. Having a treatment system then was a good idea. Setting up our consultation with the RainSoft sales representative was simple, and he was flexible. He came by on our schedule. They said both the husband and wife have to be available, and since we both work, he came by early in the evening. He was really good at what he did. He discussed a few different options and we were very happy with everything. It just took a while for our Homeowners Association to restrict. So, it took some time for us to discuss what we wanted and where to have it located.

The installers came out and they had to dig and put the system so it was not in plain sight in our courtyard. The guys did a great job. I also let them know that I had to replace my hot water heater, and they said that if we bought it, they’d install it at no charge because they were gonna have a plumber there anyway. So, they were very accommodating. I like the idea of having soft water, but I don’t like the feel of it because it feels like you’re never getting the soap off of you. It keeps the oils in there.

Overall, the way the rep presented the system was impressive. We use water to cook, we use it for our coffee machine, and we drink tons of water. So, it definitely helps going through the whole house, as opposed to just hooking up a filter to our refrigerator or kitchen sink. The entire process with RainSoft was great. They could not have been more thorough and professional. Any time I had an issue or a question, they always got back to me immediately. If it’s something that you’re interested in, then it’s definitely a no-brainer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RainSoft, A Division of Aquion, Inc.?

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

We had a water filtration system installed last year and have not had any issues. What is concerning to me is the multiple times the company has tried to give us promotions, then no one calls back or they miss-schedule an appointment or they don't show up when they are supposed to. The product has been great, the company is a nightmare to deal with. Now they are trying to charge a maintenance fee that they never talked about initially. I'm slowly beginning to feel like they are running a scam. I recommend a water filtration system in Florida, just not through this company.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

The RainSoft rep was really thorough and explained everything for us. We went with the full house filtration system, Reverse Osmosis, and something for the laundry room as well. The installation went smoothly and the installer was in and out of here in no time. The water is much softer now and it tastes a lot better and when I wash my hands, I could really feel it. My wife has gotten a few people that have been interested in the RainSoft system and she has been telling them about how nasty our water is without it.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Being from Michigan, the whole water crisis thing in Flint made me a little concerned. Also, my ice cubes always looked extremely cloudy to me. So, I decided to do the whole free kit thing at Home Depot, and the sales guy, Nathan, came out. I liked him. He did a good job and was very informative. I didn’t feel like he pushed me into anything. He definitely answered the questions and concerns that I had. My water wasn’t in dangerous levels, but it's still enough where I had RainSoft put a system in.

The installation took a little bit longer since it was not something that the person who came and did it typically does. We also had some issues with the tank leaking and he couldn’t answer a ton of my questions about the stuff. But, I contacted Nathan and he answered them without any problems, so everything’s been so far so good. My ice cubes are definitely clearer since having our RainSoft system installed. The only thing I wish is that it would hold more water. I make a lot of ice cubes and flavored water, and I tend to run out of water in the tank. Then I have to wait hours for it to fill back up and use it again. That’s a little bit of a bummer, but other than that, it’s fine.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

We got our first house and my wife wanted soft water. Her sister in Florida liked RainSoft and that persuaded my wife. Anytime I’ve ever had a question, RainSoft has always been quick to make sure that they answer all the questions I have. My wife liked the demonstration that their rep presented and we got the water treatment system with the RO water. I like the RO water. It comes in handy for lots of different things. RainSoft did a great job of installing the system but they forgot to open the canister underneath to allow it to build up water so it would only pump out about a glass full before it would get down to a trickle again. But it’s no big deal. Everyone makes mistakes. The RainSoft water system is great and I would tell my friends to get it.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

A RainSoft rep came to my door and we did a consultation on the spot right here in the house. He seemed to be really knowledgeable and it was pleasant to talk with him. The installer was fine, too. He was clean and got the job done. I ended up purchasing the softener things and it softened my water, and I don’t have as much scum as what I had. Also, it made my hair a little softer, and I have noticed a difference in my skin. I’ve been satisfied with it so far. I’ve told a couple of other people about RainSoft.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I was in Home Depot when I was told about RainSoft. We set up the consultant's first visit and I was really happy with the experience. The guy from RainSoft came and did all the proof. So then, I got five filters on the sink and I also have the two big ones outside. Everything was professional with the installation. The guy also did it in no time. Since having the system installed, it has made a lot of difference when I wash the clothes, take a bath, or drink the water. The whole system changed. But the taste is number one as it used to be terrible. So far, I’m pretty satisfied with RainSoft.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I discovered RainSoft through Home Depot. Their sales person was great and kind. She was good at selling their product and she got us at that time where it was a good moment for her and a bad moment for us. The gentleman who came to install our RainSoft system was amazing and kind too. He checked for the details, which is a big thing for us, trying not to invade, but trying to work his way into fitting the system in our garage which is not big, and he did a wonderful job. Since having the system, the water is softer and clear. It also feels different. And although it's sometimes noisy while it's processing at night and we can't sleep for hours, our RainSoft system is a great product and we like it a lot. But if someone would come and offer me again, I probably wouldn’t get it as the price is crazy expensive. I can’t recommend it because when I do, the first thing people would ask would be the price.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

We've had a great experience with RainSoft. We bought a whole-house filtration system from them. My husband has always been concerned about the impurities in our water and has been concerned for health reasons. I filled in a little card and they called me and set it up. Their guy then came the same week and he was very knowledgeable and very friendly. He showed us a lot of things like using the chemicals and everything to test the water. We already decided that we were gonna do it, but he confirmed with the test that we were doing the right thing.

The guy who set up the system came when he was supposed to and he was very nice. He told me what I needed to do as far as maintenance and all of that. So everything was good. And we love the system. We all drink more water and I don’t have to buy bottled water anymore, which is good. Also, since we got the filtration system, the biggest difference I've noticed was that my icemaker and freezer worked. Before they didn't. We had very hard water so I think it was all the build-up in the little line that goes to the icemaker. I've already recommended RainSoft.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

RainSoft sales rep was very polite. He did all of our samples and explained everything to us including what would be the best for us. He did well. The installer was great too. I felt sorry for him because it was raining but he still kept on going. He was awesome and he explained to my husband how the system works. Since the installation of the water softener, the water doesn’t leave as much residue on the shower doors when we take a shower. The water also makes the skin feel softer.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

The faucets were rusting out and it was a calcium build-up. The water smelled bad, our skin was dried out, and it was really hard water. One of my neighbor friends recommended RainSoft to us. It was pretty easy to set up the appointment for the consultation. The sales rep came out right away and he was excellent. We purchased that night and everything went fine. I got the conditioning system and the UV light. The installation team was also great and really clean. With RainSoft, everything stopped rusting out. The bathtubs don't have molds like they had before, my dog looks shiny and my dishes are clean.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

We've had some issues with our water and I wanted it resolved. We have city water and there was a film on the water. Once you turn on anything, you could smell the chlorine from 'em all the way. Even our dog wasn't drinking the water. When we boiled noodles, it would taste like you were drinking nasty chemicals. We ended up buying bottled water for everything. A lady on Facebook said that RainSoft was top of the line product and I thought I needed the issues with our water get taken care of. When I contacted Rainsoft, they said they could get somebody out the next day, which worked out perfectly with my schedule. My schedule is so crazy that as long as they could get in that day, we were good to go.

The interaction with the rep was fairly well. He was very polite and educational. He did say that we wouldn't have to clean our toilet as much, which is not true. We have to clean the toilet way more, almost every four weeks, and I don’t know if something’s wrong. We bought the whole house water filtration system and then we got the reverse osmosis that went underneath our kitchen sink. It was very expensive, but we had such a bad water problem that it was worth it.

The installer was absolutely amazing and very professional. He ran into a lot of problems which we weren't able to figure out beforehand. We didn't know where our main house turn-off valve was. We found it behind a piece of drywall, so he had to cut into it. He was there super late but he did great and went over everything with us. Then the repair guy who came out to repair all the drywall was fantastic. He worked around our schedule and asked when he could come out. I said as early as he wanted. He said 6:00 AM and I said yes. He was there at 6:00 AM and I loved it. However, the other day, I noticed that we had a funny smell coming from the water softener tank and I don't know what that is all about. We need to call them on that. So far, I have recommended RainSoft to everybody that I've talked to.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

Setting up a consultation with the sales rep from RainSoft was very simple. They responded quickly and the rep made a compelling presentation that was simple to understand. When all was said and done, he sold me into it. I purchased the whole-house system with a reverse osmosis system upstairs in my kitchen. The installers did a great job. They were very cooperative and communicative during the process. Furthermore, they explained what they were doing and asked me for my preference on locations of the equipment.

I was moving to a new house and I was a bit concerned about the chemical and mineral contents of the water. Since having the system installed, the water has a non-taste, I feel cleaner when I take a bath, and my clothes are softer when I get finished washing and drying them. And the people from RainSoft have been terrific. While I had an issue that I thought was a result of their installation, they came out, looked at it, and fixed it. No problems. They even left me their phone number, so if I need anything or have any questions, they've welcomed me to call 'em. If all the rest of their employees are like them, then RainSoft would gonna do well.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I bought a washer and dryer from Home Depot and then RainSoft called me. I did a consultation with the rep over the phone, he explained everything and he was really nice and friendly. He also answered all our questions. I had to reschedule and they were able to reschedule for the next day. I got both the air and water systems and when the installers first came, they introduced themselves and I let them do their thing. When it was done, they explained everything about how to add salt. There's a big difference in taste with our water now and I don’t have dry skin anymore. We’re trying to talk my sister-in-law into getting the system as well because her son has eczema. My daughter had that too and I’ve noticed in just a few months of us having the system, her skin is not as rough.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

We moved in to a different house and wanted to have some softer water. RainSoft contacted us from Home Depot and my wife scheduled an appointment for a demonstration or a water quality test. We had three RainSoft systems installed. We got one that goes on the washer, one that goes under the sink and then the whole-house system. I interacted with the plumber and electrician as they had to put in an outside electrical unit. The electrician did a great job with the plumber.

With the system under the sink, the installer looked for the water line for the house and located it. He dug a hole where the water line was and then he had to do something but my wife had some concerns at that time. When the other guy came out, which took about two weeks for him to get the job done, he had to locate the sewer line and then dig since we had it installed outside the house. Since the installation of the system, we now like the quality of the water. We're satisfied with RainSoft and I would recommend it. It's an expensive system, but I'm getting what I paid for.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I had a reverse osmosis system from RainSoft before. This time, I got the water softener. The RainSoft guy was very upfront, honest and efficient. He didn't beat around the bush, didn't rush job, brought facts and discussed for us. We talked about what my complaint was and they went through the product list. For the size of the house, the water softener was best recommended. The installer was here on time and he did his work very efficiently. An hour later, he was gone.

Things are now smoother. I like soft water over non-soft water. I've had it for years. The surge is better and it doesn't leave scum marks when the water drains. I would recommend RainSoft to anyone who wanted a water softener or interested in water conditioning equipment. Also, RainSoft is very punctual on annual maintenance and I have no problem since they call me. I'm happy with my interaction with them.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

We moved into an older home that needed remodeling. One of the first issues we had was they hadn't done anything so the faucets were all nasty. There was a lot of build-ups. RainSoft set up an appointment and came to the house. The sales rep presented the product well and was professional. He presented the available options and went through his little demonstrations. He understood what he was talking about. I'm very glad we did the installation of the system for the whole house. They sent one guy and he knew his business and he did very well. Overall, I had an issue that needed to be corrected. RainSoft and the product were in the right place at the right time. They helped me make a decision that corrected my issue. I recommend them.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

Our water was horrible and it looked like Coca Cola. We were so upset about it when we moved out there and I had no clue. When we spoke with the people from RainSoft, everybody was fantastic. A lady came and explained everything and the guys who did the installation were the best ever. One guy was a hustler and he was a good representative for the company. If I owned a company, he would work for me. I tipped them 50 bucks since they did a great job and I was very impressed. Now, my water is fantastic and it’s crystal-clear. It was a great experience and I’m telling everybody about it. RainSoft was for real, they did what they said and I highly recommend them.

Original review: July 31, 2018

My buddy had a RainSoft system installed in his house and although the water treatment system was too expensive for me, I bought one after the sales guy said that I could get a free gift card by answering three questions. Also, he wouldn’t leave. So, I had them test my water and it was cool. The guy was really neat. Then I got the water softener and the Reverse Osmosis installed. The guy who did it was fast. He showed up in the afternoon and he was gone before I got home from work. Now, the water from the Reverse Osmosis tastes good. I’d recommend RainSoft.

Original review: July 31, 2018

We have dirty water in the house. I was getting a water test kit from Home Depot when I saw RainSoft. Their sales rep was nice and setting up the consultation was a great experience. Since the system was installed, everybody in the house loves the water now. But for the price of it, it would be nice if the salesperson came back out and showed me the difference between my water then and my water now. They advertised this thing to be so great, so they should come back out and say, "Now, look at your water." Still, I'd recommend RainSoft.

Original review: July 30, 2018

We wanted our water to taste a lot better as its taste seemed not good. The RainSoft reps who came out were pretty good to us. The installers came on the third day, installed the system right on that day, and did a pretty good job of it. Now, the water tastes a lot better and we don't have to put softener into the washer.

Original review: July 29, 2018

When the RainSoft reps came to the door, it was our first real introduction to water treatment systems. At first, I was skeptical because they wanted to test our water but after the testing, I saw the condition of our water versus the water we’ve been purchasing and thought about buying their water softener and filtering system. We could save money by not purchasing water even though it was an expensive system. Their installation team was excellent. They did a very nice job and even put in an extra faucet for my nonfiltered water. RainSoft's follow-up was nice and very well done. They also came back and they did a water test through the phone calls as well. RainSoft's products were professional-looking equipment and their system ends up to be worth it especially when my wife enjoys the showers now that she feels a lot softer. Also, our water tastes as well as Dasani or as fine as the expensive water that one can purchase at the store.

Original review: July 29, 2018

The sales rep from Rainsoft was professional and he got his point across. He was also friendly but he didn't spend the evening chatting and taking up my evening time. Everything was easy and fast. Also, the installer was efficient. He was in and out in no time at all. The water softener and the RO system that he installed worked perfectly. Since having the system installed, a lot of the stains on my clothes are coming out. I'm also drinking the RO water now so we're not having the 12-cases into the house all the time. Before, I had dry skin and hair and my coffee cup was constantly being stained so the system has been really nice. I'm happy with it.

Original review: July 28, 2018

We were switched from lake water to well water which was a bit harder. Somebody in town told me about RainSoft whose rep came out and tested the water. The installer did a good job and he explained the system. Now, our water is better. Our faucets are not getting all corroded and the dishwasher washes better.

Original review: July 28, 2018

My husband was concerned about the recycling of toilet water to drinking water. We got RainSoft's water softener system and their consultant was very informative, quick and personable. Their installers were here on time as quoted. We were told that the installation would take six hours but they finished in four and a half. They did an excellent job of cleaning up after themselves, explaining everything as they went along after it was installed and how to follow up on it. Since the installation, our drinking water and bathing water are very nice.

However, the water softener requires rock salt, which comes in 40-pound packages and we have to buy it from Home Depot or from another source. My husband and I are both over middle-aged. We have to be able to pick up the 40-pound packages, get them home, use them and pick them up again to put them in the cylinder. That is somewhat of a downfall when you can barely lift 20 pounds. Nobody from RainSoft explained to us upfront that we have to do it but they offered a service for $125 a month and it was a little high. Luckily enough, I have a younger generation in the neighborhood. They have volunteered to go to Home Depot to buy it for us and bring it here. They are also refilling the softener when needed. I can pay the kids a lot less and they’re much happier off with the price that I’m paying them.

Other than that, I recommend RainSoft to anybody who wants to see it. We are a new community and I’ve had people in the neighborhood that have asked me what I’ve done in the garage. I showed and explained it to them then I let them taste the water and all the good stuff that they could do. They asked me the proverbial price and I told them $7,600.

Original review: July 27, 2018

There was an advertisement in Home Depot and the issue about water quality was brought up to me. The idea that we should test our water became more pumped into my head and so I set up an appointment. The RainSoft rep came out and told me who he was. He explained everything that he wanted to do and presented a very thorough demonstration. He educated me not only about RainSoft but also about water such as how hard water affects the water system. He went through the whole water 101 and there was so much information within that. It was educational and it really changes your mindset of how you think about your water. Also, he was very nice and willing to answer any questions that I had. He sat around for a little while longer and we had a conversation. So, it was a very pleasant experience.

The RainSoft system is good and I love it. It's only been a few months that I've had it in my home. The water is only through a spout on the sink and it’s the only water I ever drink. I would let my friends know that the drinking water is very different. Even the bottled water is not as excellent as my water, which makes me question bottled water. I referred several people to the presenter who came to my house.

RainSoft, A Division of Aquion, Inc. expert review by Greg Chick

RainSoft Water Treatment Systems is a company that offers residential customers water and air purification services. The company is headquartered in Elk Grove Village, IL, and they serve customers throughout the world.

• Convenience: There are hundreds of dealers across the world that can install RainSoft products, so the company is a convenient choice for customers throughout many parts of the United States and the world.

• Complimentary water test: The company provides customers with complimentary water tests to see if they are good candidates for water treatment or filtration.

• Taste and smell: RainSoft guarantees that their product will reduce unwanted smells and tastes in consumers' water, which makes it better to drink, wash food with, cook with and bathe in.

• Safe filtration methods: RainSoft uses activated carbon filtration, which is a method that has been deemed safe for use by the Environmental Protection Agency, and they do not use any harsh chemical products in their purification process.

• Movable: The filtration systems manufactured by RainSoft can be moved from home to home, which means customers can take their system with them when they move and that they do not have to purchase multiple systems if they end up choosing to live in multiple homes.

• Best for: Homeowners with hard water, homeowners near a compromised water supply and rural customers using well water.

Profile picture of Greg Chick
Greg Chick

Water Treatment Systems Contributing Editor

Greg Chick has worked as an entrepreneur for over 40 years with a background in plumbing, irrigation, pools and water heating. He is a member of Green Plumbers USA, International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials and American Society of Plumbing Engineers. Greg works to educate residential consumers about quality plumbing products.

RainSoft Water Treatment Systems Company Information

RainSoft, A Division of Aquion, Inc.
1953
101 S. Gary Avenue
Roselle
IL
www.rainsoft.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business