4.6/5 (239 ratings)

About RainSoft Water Treatment Systems

RainSoft manufacturers and sells water conditioning and water filtration systems for residential customers. A water expert can visit your home for a free water analysis. RainSoft offers solutions for whole-home hard water conditioning to improve bathing, washing dishes and doing laundry. The company also focuses on drinking water solutions to improve water taste and clarity.

Pros

• Referral program
  • Limited lifetime warranty
  • Free in-home water analysis
  • Energy-efficient options

Cons

• No salt-free softeners
  • Pricing not available online

Bottom Line

RainSoft offers traditional, salt-based water softeners and drinking water carbon filtration systems. Customers can visit the website to schedule a free in-home water analysis and find a local dealer to get a quote.

Top RainSoft Water Treatment Systems Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about RainSoft - a Pentair Company?

Verified

We did a home water test through our town and RainSoft tagged our mailbox… The guy who came out was very knowledgeable and professional. He showed us everything we needed to see a...

Verified

So far, everything is working out very good with our RainSoft… My husband and I decided that we wanna try it out. And so far, we love it. The sales rep was very good and helpful. ...

What is RainSoft?

RainSoft produces water conditioning and water filtration systems intended for the whole home or a single point of use. The company offers a free in-home water analysis for those unsure of what they need in their homes.

RainSoft offers three water softener systems that address hard water issues:

• The EC5 is a premium, computer-controlled, whole-home water softener system that is available in various configurations to fit your needs. It connects to the RainSoft Remind app for low salt notifications and filter change reminders. The system automatically responds to your water use, and the computer control saves water, salt and electricity.
  • The EC5-CAB system saves on salt and water consumption by using shorter cycles based on home water use. It comes with an easy-to-read display and distinctive alarm tones. You can customize the system’s functions to fit your family’s needs, and it's designed to deliver an uninterrupted supply of conditioned water.
  • The TC-M series is available in various configurations to fit your home. It's energy-efficient and self-cleaning, and the high flow rates deliver a consistent supply of water.

For drinking water purification, RainSoft offers:

• The Ultrefiner II is RainSoft’s premium drinking water system. It uses three high-quality, multistage filters to purify tap water and remove small particles, lead, copper, chromium, VOC and chlorine. It comes with a lead-free faucet. The cartridge is interchangeable, which creates less waste than systems that require the whole filter to be removed.
  • The Hydrefiner II reduces chlorine and other particles that cause bad taste and odors. Each cartridge treats up to 830 gallons of water.

RainSoft also sells problem-specific filters to address individual water issues and systems, including the CleanStart laundry system, which oxidizes tap water to disinfect clothes.

How does the RainSoft system work?

RainSoft water conditioner systems soften water for the whole home using a salt-based ion exchange process powered by electricity. The systems are installed where the water enters your home from the municipal supply. Some systems are designed to provide a continuous supply of softened water, while others have computerized controls that respond to your family’s water use and produce softened water on demand.

While many of the models have self-cleaning and regeneration cycles, most also require filter changes, adding salt and some maintenance. Models come with replacement reminder alarms or connect to an app that alerts you when the system needs attention.

RainSoft water softener cost

RainSoft doesn’t disclose its water softener prices on its website. Its products are available for purchase through local dealers, so if you’re interested in buying a RainSoft system, contact a local dealer for a free in-home water analysis and quote.

RainSoft FAQ

How long do RainSoft water softeners last?
RainSoft water softeners are built to last for years. All systems come with a limited lifetime warranty. You or your service provider will need to replace filters or cartridges and perform maintenance on the system.
Does RainSoft remove lead?
RainSoft water filtration systems that employ carbon filters, such as the Ultrefiner II and Hydrefiner II, remove lead. Water softeners do not remove lead.
Does RainSoft remove chlorine?
RainSoft’s drinking water systems, the Ultrefiner II and Hydrefiner II, reduce chlorine using carbon filtration. RainSoft water softeners do not remove chlorine.

Is RainSoft worth it?

RainSoft offers several solutions for home water softening and drinking water filtration and has systems that can be combined for maximum performance. For customers experiencing multiple water issues, a RainSoft water expert helps determine the problems and customize a home system configured to solve them all.

RainSoft Water Treatment Systems Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RainSoft Water Treatment Systems?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about RainSoft - a Pentair Company?

Original review: June 14, 2021

The gentleman that came out laid the out what product was. He took some samples from my water and was able to explain to me how dirty it was. I knew it was dirty. It was all rusty- and brown-looking. It stunk like sulfur. There was no way I would have drank that water. In fact, I didn't even like to shower in it. We raise standard poodles as well, and we wouldn't even let them drink the water. It was nasty. The gentleman offered the product that we can buy to make my water usable and it came out to 100 bucks a month. It was very expensive, but compared to driving to an artesian well all the time to get our own water, it's not that bad. I can stay at home and not have to spend three hours chasing down water twice a week.

I had a good experience with RainSoft. The people didn't jack you around at all. The gentleman that did the installation couldn't quite get it all done in one day because it was working into after dark hours that they were working on it. He came back the next day and finished it off just like he said he would. After the installation, we noticed a 100% difference. We have clean water now, even if we don't get it through the filter on the sink itself. That's where I use it for drinking water. I still don't use the other just because I'm leery, but our dogs can drink the other without a problem. The water is clean enough that we went ahead and we just made a purchase on a hot tub. Whereas before, there was no way we would have tried filling a hot tub that we're going to get in and sit down in.

I've got three tanks that are right off my pump house and then inside the house, I did the double filter. It was a good buy. I've had friends go, "God. How much you’re gonna pay to get a filter?" They didn't understand how bad the water was. Not being able to use the water on the property I live on makes my property worthless to me. The way I look at it, not only am I saving money running back and forth to a well to gather drinking water, but I've raised the value of my property should I want to sell it.

Get buying tips about Water Treatment Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 29, 2021

The guy that came out from RainSoft was knowledgeable. The crew that came out the first time was good. But I've had the crews out 3 or 4 times already because I've been going through a lot of problems with the softener. Hopefully, this kind of resolves some of the problems. But the water's great. It's soft and the system's working really good. My wife and I like it. I'm glad I did it. I should have done it 26 years ago because that's how long I've been out there where I live. I'm up in the hill country and the water is terrible up there. There's a lot of calcium in it.

There are some things that I'm still not happy with RainSoft, like the shelter that they put on. They were at my house 3 days ago and moved it from where they first installed it to further down from the side of my house. The only thing I don't like is if I have to put salt or check the system on how much I'm using, I have to remove all of that. There are no doors on there to open up and that shelter is heavy. Now, they've put two shelters because everything was exposed on the outside. I had told them about that already. For me to take the most expensive system and spend over $10,000 for that, I shouldn't have to be moving all this stuff. They should come out and put doors on it. I have to take the roof off, which is going to consist of me and my wife doing, then I have to move the whole shelter back. Whenever I need salt, I got to do that. I'm gonna have to do that also for the bleach container because that's got a separate shelter on it too.

I had a leak a few weeks later and they fixed it. The quality assurance lady came out. I told her, "We're not going in the house. I want to show you everything that's done back here at my house, what they installed." She came back there and said, "I'm not even happy looking at this." She took a bunch of pictures. I asked, "What are you going to do with these pictures?" She told me she was going to send them to corporate and I'd be hearing back from them. I've got hard lines that go on the outside and I can't have this stuff tapped into my hard lines because I've got a big koi pond and didn't want none of that stuff killed. They said it doesn't kill this stuff. Plus, that bleach container kept kicking on when we were putting the outside lines. When they were here a few days ago, they put a brand-new module. The one that was on it was bad but that took care of that.

Original review: April 20, 2021

We have been a RainSoft consumer owner since we first moved in our house about 20 years ago. We needed a new development and there was a salesman that came through. We had a demo on it and we kind of looked at the unit and then we had it installed. We went through some water testing with it. We were able to see where it did have some residual materials in it that was causing surface tension issues with the water.

The first time we had a unit was like an eye opening because we had just moved into our new home. That was more like testing of the water and going through some different things. We looked at adding a surfactant. That set us on the path to think about really putting something in for our whole house water management. Then we just recently replaced that original unit because we got to a point where the filters were no longer functioning properly. I didn't receive any information or mail about having any kind of checkups. So, I got in touch with our local dealer at that point, which turned out to really be a good move, because they came out, took a look at what we had and we were able to upgrade our system and maintain it. I don’t want to stick with the same system that we've gotten into. I wanted one that's going to allow me a little more flexibility so I don't have to do reverse osmosis and cleaning every week.

Since we've had the new unit, we did cut back on some of our laundry detergents. The most noticeable thing right now is that we feel like we're using it a little more efficiently. We had a unit where we have both the main water line coming into the filtration unit with the solar salt. Then we had the second reverse osmosis tank, where you kind of run off and then that goes into your drinking water and everything. The guy that came in was pretty informative. He did a great job of converting that system with very minimal impact on our day-to-day things. He got in. He was able to get the tank removed out and then get the entire system replaced with minimal impact to changing our schedule and getting us up and running. We were at a point where our water flow was really being inhibited because of the coconut shell and stuff like that that goes into that filter system. The main unit was pretty much sludgy.

We had gotten our money's worth out of it for not knowing that there was any kind of yearly checkup kind of maintenance that you're supposed to do. The guy showed us everything. He talked me through everything. He didn't have to upsell me on anything, but he did provide what some of the benefits were going to be if we did look at improving the system to where we are now. We could have stuck with what we had and just replace the filters. But I really felt it was the right thing to do when I talked to him with his experiences.

We've been very satisfied with the system itself. We do the refrigeration unit where we've got the water running in for drinking water. We don't use it through the sink anymore, but you can tell a difference in the reverse osmosis system with drinking water. It's not that our sink water isn't drinkable. You can tell there's a little bit of just a purity difference in it when you do drink it. We're noticing how different the water is with some of the neighbor's houses just like the water we get out of our sink that we use for cooking.

Original review: March 15, 2021

The lady that came with was very knowledgeable about the product, and she gave a good presentation. She was very respectful of our home and very nice. We knew our water was bad. We knew it was very hard. Our water didn't taste that bad, but I could see evidence with our water fixtures, and a lot of our clear glassware were getting hazy-looking. But for me, as long as the drinking water didn't stink and it's clear, it was probably good to drink.

The lady from RainSoft that was here was aghast that we would even consider drinking tap water. But we would run water through the Britta and keep it in the refrigerator. We buy bottled water also. And I just never thought too much about it. We fully expected that that would be the sales pitch. ”Your water sucks and you need to buy a water system.” The whole time she was talking, though, I kept thinking, “How much is this going to cost?" It was a guessing game in my mind as to what the price tag would be which we didn't find out until the end. But we bought it.

She came and brought her little system so we could taste our current water and the purified water. She even did an interesting thing. She knew that we were wine enthusiasts. And she said, “Okay, give me two of your wine glasses.” We had some wine open. She said, “Okay, you've got some open. Let's just taste it.” We drank some wine out of the glass out of the cabinet. And then she washed the glass and we drank the same wine. It didn’t taste the same. It tasted better because of the junk that was on the wine glass. Also, the soap is what makes it affordable because you get all this soap for free. We had a lot of cleaning products and soap. We have to use up what we had. But laundry detergent we're getting for free until our points are used up, which will take four years to do so. And we don't buy bottled water and cleaners anymore.

Original review: March 15, 2021

RainSoft was the third company I looked at and I chose them because of the reputable business that they had with the state. It was also because of the testing. It was really cool how they explained things in eighth-grade science terms. The representative was very knowledgeable and informative. He was really good at his job. And compared to the other two companies that I also had up for grabs, the warranties and everything with RainSoft were much better. I want RainSoft to take care of me in the long run.

With my boyfriend and I having acne, our skin has cleared up dramatically with the water system in place. I also have better water. I always bought Aquafina bottled water. But now, I have the convenience of not having to rush to the store and not be the only one without bottled water during the pandemic. It's nice to have clean water.

But I need to get in touch with RainSoft. The representative that came by said he would be able to do everything and take care of everything for me if I had any complaint. I actually do. In my front yard where they installed the water hose, it's not even three inches down. I can put my hand down in the dirt, bring up a pile of dirt, and I can see the hosing.

I really want to get my house done but the people that came by my house for estimates said that they are not going to be able to do the slab that I want in my front yard because the hose is only three inches in the ground. It needs to be at least 18 by city ordinance. I was hoping that the RainSoft technicians would be able to come back out and dig down lower and install the hose better. Despite the water hose issue, RainSoft is fine. I would still recommend them because of the installation and everything that I have experienced over the last month or so. It's a very good purchase with the warranties and with them coming back out to fix anything that's not right.

Original review: July 12, 2021

Rainsoft was top of the line. My wife and I scheduled an in home water consultation. Our sales Rep, Rod was fantastic. He walked us through all of the tests, answered our questions and ultimately made us feel at ease when purchasing the product. I have contacted him multiple times since purchasing and installing the product and he has always been friendly and helpful. The service tech went above and beyond to address any of my concerns, and ensure that all of our home's needs were met at no cost to us. We have had the system for two weeks now and are starting to see and taste all of the benefits. We highly recommend scheduling a test and knowing what's in your water and consulting with RainSoft once you do.

Original review: June 26, 2021

When we moved here to Missouri, we received a card about having a free water sample. A gentleman named Robert came out and he explained the RainSoft product. He was a good fellow. He showed us how hard our water was and convinced us so we got the system. We just bought a new washer and dryer and refrigerator. We didn’t want any of our machinery to be affected by the hard water. Water softeners are recommended to everybody. Since the system was put in, we've been happy with it. I've taken showers enough to know if the water is soft or if the water is hard. The water we have now feels soft. I haven't noticed a huge amount of suds when washing things. I'm sure there would have been more suds if we had left our water as hard water.

Original review: June 21, 2021

RainSoft was great. Even when we had an issue, they came right out and fixed it. In different ways, I’ve told a couple people I know that own their houses about RainSoft and they're definitely looking into it. One family's more about health, and I said, "Well, the water's alkaline water." They have to give it to their daughter, so it helps them save money that way. They don't have to buy bottled alkaline water.

Original review: June 20, 2021

I had a problem with the financing of the RainSoft system. My interest rate was extremely high and I just paid it off with another credit card. I got interest charged to me before I even got my first bill. I read it and they were in the rights of doing them but I've never received anything like that before. With such a large purchase, I was taken back by that. It did force me to find another way to pay for it.

The customer service and the guys that came and did the installation were more than fine. I don't taste a difference in the water but we got rid of our bottled water. I'm saving on that. In the shower, I can tell a little bit of difference. I did do the products made for the detergent and the soaps to try to save more money, and it's not as sudsy. I'm using more than I normally would and the rep said I would use less.

Original review: June 19, 2021

The customer service is excellent. From the time that I purchased to the installation was three, four days which was a fair amount of time. The part that I did like about RainSoft was they gave me a firm price. They were very clear. When I checked the other one, they would give you an outrageous price then it would start going lower and lower. I love the RainSoft system. So far, it's really good and the whole family's happy with it. I spoke to family members and they’re planning to get it.

RainSoft Water Treatment Systems Company Information