4.63/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Since 1953, RainSoft has been a worldwide leader in providing families with premium water treatment and air purification systems. RainSoft is dedicated to designing, manufacturing and offering the industry's most diverse product line of water and air solutions for families like yours.

Our corporate Customer Focus Team ensures that each and every RainSoft customer is satisfied and exceeds every expectation. If you have a question, comment or concern, we encourage you to contact us directly at 1-800-RAINSOFT and ask to speak with our customer service group.

A leader in the water treatment industry since 1953, RainSoft takes the worry out of water.

RainSoft, A Division of Aquion, Inc. Video
RainSoft, A Division of Aquion, Inc. Gallery (1)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

2181 RainSoft Water Treatment Systems Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: March 8, 2019

I got mail from Home Depot that said to call. I did and the nice lady asked if I liked my water. I told her I would happy to have someone come out. When you buy a house, you need to get water treatment because the pipes will go after a while, even if they're PVC. I had my initial consultation with Donald. I'm a pretty straight shooter so I said to let me see the water and not give me his spiel. He did his tests and all the stuff he was supposed to do. I was putting together a dining room table and paying attention while my wife was sitting there. I told him that I wanted to know what I was drinking because I know it wasn't good. He tested some ice cubes because we don't have a filter on our fridge.

I already knew we needed the system. I told Donald to just give me a price. When he wrote the initial number down, I said he could walk out right then. Donald was very honest, upfront, and respectful of my family. He didn't seem to be shady in any way, shape, or form. That was a big thing to establish trust and rapport. He said that somebody was gonna come out and see me and that was the guy I sign the paperwork with.

Two days later, someone came and put in the system outside. That evening, a gentleman came and brought another water testing kit so he could show me the outside, inside and how much stuff had been removed. He also brought out the paperwork. You can tell that the water tastes cleaner. The chlorine is not there anymore. Plus, there is no buildup in the shower or on the tubs. The clothes smell fresher. We had some issues with the dishwasher though. They don't tell you a lot of things like you can't use the pods when you have a whole home purification system because it uses less soap which was why they give you the soap to use. The dishwasher wasn't drying dishes because it was filling up with soap. That was a lesson learned.

We were told to use what they gave us, but we still had stuff left over so my wife just used what we had. The warranty guy came and showed me how much soap was in there after a quick rinse. I said that no wonder nothing was dry. I like the shampoo and soap. My kids are still leery because they're hell-bent on what they've been using. The amount you have to use the laundry soap to get the same effect as you would when you use a normal detergent is awesome. I've recommended RainSoft to others.

Get expert buying tips about Water Treatment Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I wasn’t really a believer of the RainSoft product, but the sales team showed me what it was and how it worked. Also, the installation guy was amazing. It was on a New Year’s when he did the installation, and he was out there from 10 to at least 6 or 7. It took a while, but he was a great guy in general. I've noticed a big difference since I got the RainSoft system. If I take a shower at the house, it’s like my skin feels like it’s shining. It's like something smooth is over my skin. It's completely different when I go somewhere else to shower. Everything is good as it is. But RainSoft could throw in some better products that the customer could get when they do purchase it. All the products that they are currently using seem underwhelming to me. They’re not that great. But overall, I would do my experience all over again if I had to.

Original review: March 6, 2019

RainSoft reps came and talked to me and my husband. We liked what we heard so we purchased their system. The installation went well. The installers knew what they were doing and it didn't take very long. They explained everything very well too. It was a good experience everybody was very professional. I would recommend RainSoft and people should get it for the peace of mind that their water is very pure.

Original review: March 5, 2019

In the past, I had hard water, which dried out my skin. So I was looking for something to soften it. We did the whole home water softening and then the reverse osmosis for filtered water with RainSoft and the technician really showed me how to install them. He showed up with all these equipments, set up, installed, and was done fairly quickly. He explained everything to us at the end as well. The service has been great so far and the water is much softer now. We don’t really get any of the hard water spots in the shower.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I heard that RainSoft was not only reputable but also had the best system out there. I talked to three other water treatment system companies and RainSoft came out ahead. I've had mine since January 17th and it's been good so far. Their installers didn't clean up but they were good. My water looks more like pure water and it tastes better. I'm more comfortable with the water quality. I contacted RainSoft a couple of times regarding some questions. They were very responsive and answered any of my questions. Everyone was pretty much courteous, professional, and friendly. I would recommend that RainSoft is probably one of the better ones if not the best.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RainSoft, A Division of Aquion, Inc.?

Original review: March 4, 2019

RainSoft was offering a water survey and they picked my information and set up an appointment. The rep did a few demonstrations and went over the options on the equipment that were available as well as some of the deals they were advertising. We got the full home softener and the double osmosis drinking water, and the installers did a great job. I grew up used to hard well water, but my wife grew up with a water softener system in her house, so she's very used to the water quality. It's a lot softer, like I had in some college places.

Original review: March 3, 2019

I recently moved to my present location and it seems that there was a lot of mineral deposits around on my sink and faucets. I also seem to have to replace the filter for my water in my refrigerator much too quickly and the plumber had told me that I'm not checking the bottom. I've been considering a water system when a guy came up to me while I was in Home Depot and asked some water questions. Setting up the consultation with a rep to come out was very easy. The rep who did the consultation visit was very knowledgeable, friendly, and neat in his demonstration. He was very considerable of my kitchen. He was also very good and really personable.

I got the water softener and the drinking water filtration system. The installation team was very good and quick. They made decisions that were need to be and it was very satisfactory with me. They also cleaned up after themselves. They had to go to the attic so I checked in there later if it was just exactly like it should be and I was really pleased. However, there is one thing I need to follow up with. I haven't been able to get the system set up with my Wi-Fi yet. I would need to call somebody and get them to come back and walk me through it since it doesn't seem to be working. I haven't tried it in two weeks and I've been out of town so I haven't been home for about a week. Other than that, I like the taste of the water better now. I also don't have to use much soap and I like the feel of the water on my skin. I haven't change the salt at all and I always considered, a little bit worried that I might, but I don't need to. So, it has been really good.

Original review: March 3, 2019

Our next-door neighbor had put in a water softening system and we were considering it. When we had this condominium built and we moved from Dickson to Murfreesboro, I noticed right away that there were all kinds of water spots, especially on my dishes when I would wash them. I thought it was because of the dishwasher so we replaced it. But on my faucet and the little drain thing, I also noticed spots and calcium build-up. I would have to scrub it off just after a week. So I knew that there was something wrong. The water was really hard.

Since having the RainSoft system installed, I have noticed a huge difference. The dishes are sparkling and they don’t have water spots all over them. It’s unbelievable. Everything is great. We haven’t even had to put any salt in the system yet. There’s an app that you can put on the phone and you can tell whether the system needs salt or if there’s something wrong. Our electricity had also gone out a couple times, just flickering because they’re still building around here, and the app also gives you a notice on the phone that the electricity is out. The sales reps that we had dealt with were also wonderful. They were honest and they do what they say they’re going to. The installers were top-notch too. They were out here and had the thing installed in no time. They didn’t make a mess and whatever mess they did make, they cleaned up before they left. So they were unlike most any of them nowadays.

Original review: March 2, 2019

We had water softeners before but we didn't have one in this house. We thought we should so we put the RainSoft unit in. Their guy showed up on time. He was very professional, friendly and did his job very fast. He even helped me move the pieces of furniture out of the garage. He told us that the salt tank, given that it's just me and my wife, would probably last a year for the whole tankful.

Original review: March 1, 2019

I moved to my house recently and the water had a different taste than what I was accustomed to. I was curious as to how bad my water was or how different it was from my previous water supply, so I began researching water treatment systems. I had a consultation with RainSoft and the rep who came out seemed knowledgeable. He checked us out and did a standard sales pitch. I ended up buying the whole house water system with the RODI under the sink in the kitchen and the team that installed it was quick. There was a little leak after the initial installation but they were able to fix it before they left. Since having the system, my skin has not been as dry when I shower. Also, the water out of the faucet with the RODI system tastes better.

Original review: March 1, 2019

We were approached by one the RainSoft representatives when we were in Home Depot. The test was good and the rep was very thorough with everything. He knew what he was talking about and was very knowledgeable. He was also funny and we had fun. We had lots in common ‘cause me and my wife are also in sales so we were talking about that. It was a comfortable rapport so everything went well.

We got the two tanks that go in the basement, one that’s full of salt and the other one with the little pebbles. Then we got the one for the drinking water that goes under the sink. The installers came in the evening and were done in three hours. They were downstairs cutting the pipe and tying everything back in, and when they left, they explained everything to me, like how to shut it off if I needed to. If anything happened, they showed me how to work the little screen under one of the tanks to see how many gallons we use. Now the water feels different when we shower. It leaves an oily feeling, but it’s not oily. It just feels like there’s still soap on you when there isn’t any. When I drink the water though, everything tastes good. I’m very satisfied with RainSoft.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

Cleaning the bathtub and the toilets practically required a hammer and chisel. It was building up and although I would get it cleaned, I had to swab it out every single day to keep it from building up. I knew I had a problem. I had also tried to get a water softener before but because of the way my house is built with the zero-property line, the water softener would have been on my neighbor's property and I couldn't do it.

When I spoke with the RainSoft representative, he was saying, "Well, you do it today or you don't get this wonderful five years' worth of supplies, which is better than a sharp stick in the eye." It was agony because I had just spent $10,000 on repairs on my house. But I knew I wanted it and I had not heard anything negative about the company so I did it. I got the whole-home system plus the drinking water, and I've financed it for the time being. They said the cleaning would be easy but it's even easier than I expected. I'm also working my way getting some of the old build-up off so I'm heading in the right direction. I drink a lot more water now too. I would recommend them.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

We moved from a home that didn't have very good water from wherever it was coming from. We noticed a lot of calcium build-up on the faucets over time. There was a lot of hard water stains on the glass door from the shower and rings around the toilet on the inside. We couldn't get most of that stuff off to save our lives. We just purchased a home and moving into it, we didn't want to have any of those issues.

When we were approached to get our water tested, we figured it was not gonna hurt. Crystal came over and did water tests. When we saw the results of the water test, we were kind of a little shocked. I was pretty sure there was gonna be a lot of hard water and a lot of minerals in the water that we probably did not need to be having inside of our appliances, pipes, and ultimately for us to drink. Crystal explained everything to us and kind of demonstrated what the RainSoft water softening system was going to do for us. We got to see and feel the results. After that, we were like, "Wow!" This is something that we kinda wanted to move forward with.

Two gentlemen, Mike and Brian, came over and they installed our water system. They were very professional, knowledgeable, and polite. I got to talk with them a lot and found out that they both have a water softening system in their own homes and have had it for multiple years. To me, that said a lot of pretty good things. They were selling a good product and the people who work for the company also have the exact same product that they were selling and installing. Mike and Brian asked where the system could be installed. They asked how to orient the tanks with the computer screen so I was really involved with them from the get-go. It was a really pleasant experience with the installation. The system looks really good too.

With RainSoft, we noticed our skin feels a lot softer. Our skin doesn't feel really tight when we get out of the shower as where we used to. So far, I haven't had to do any maintenance on the system. I went out to the garage the other week where it's installed, and everything checked out to be fine. RainSoft will be sending out a reminder as filters need to be changed. We also have the reverse osmosis system under the sink. I think those filters need to be changed about once a year and it would be every three to five years for the charcoal in the garage. I'll have to add salt to the system periodically too, but they filled up the tub with salt and I'm still well over halfway on my salt level. I've had a really good experience.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

From a regular scheduled exhibition of the benefits of having a water softener system, we decided it was a good thing to get. The RainSoft reps were very knowledgeable, educational, warm, friendly, funny, and charming. We had the entire system put in minus the CleanStart and the installers were very clean and genial. They were good. So far, my experience has been good.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

The salesman from RainSoft came, discussed the product and showed it to me. It went well for the most part except it seems that he had given me some information that was not fully correct. I searched it and read the information online, and there were two bits of information specifically. One was about the cleaning product that they offer. Initially, there was going to be a five-year supply that you get once a year. What he told us was that we would get it on an ongoing basis once we have the equipment. But he did not mention that we have to do referrals and have so many referrals to qualify for it. Although that was not the trigger for which we bought the equipment, that was something that he said that was not correct and I’m disappointed with that information.

The other thing was that we were talking about the system that apparently was discontinued. The equipment that I eventually got is the one that you access through the software online through your phone. But there was one which we were talking about that I didn’t need access to that. It was probably a more economical value system but apparently, that was not being offered at the time. So I had to end up with a higher cost system.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

When you have a refrigerator that dispenses water and when the dispenser is all cleared up with that white junk, you know there's something wrong with the water. We researched RainSoft on the internet and set up a consultation. They all did a great job. The sales rep came out, did his little thing and showed how hard our water was. I'm waiting for him to come back. He said he was gonna drop me off some soap and I'd like to see it. I would also like for him to show us how good their system has made my water softer now. When I take a shower, I feel squeaky clean, where before I felt like I was all dried up.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I bought something from Home Depot and it led RainSoft to call me. They asked if I would like to talk to their water people. We had a system in Hawaii where we moved from, so it was only a matter of time before we got another system. My interaction with Justin was awesome. He was extremely respectful, thorough, and knowledgeable and he answered all of our questions. He did the testing right in front of us, explained everything very thoroughly as far as what he was doing and what the result of the test meant. It wasn’t just, "Look at this cool trick. I can make the water change colors.”

The installers were both on-point and did a great job in the house. They cleaned everything up and when they left, it looked the way it did when they got there, which is not always true for contractors. The new water has been great. We use the heck out of the faucet and the sink. It’s basically having bottled water on demand. We’ve talked to our friends about RainSoft and made some recommendations. They are off the charts and whatever good could be said should be said.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

We moved here and found out that the water was really hard and so we wanted to have a hardness test. The guy that did the water test was great, even following up with questions that I had after we had the RainSoft system installed. He answered my questions and saved me from having to go through sitting and waiting on the customer line. When the installers put the system in, they ran the line across a valve that couldn't be opened after the fact, so they were called back out to re-plumb the line. The rep Johnny called in the service call for us and took care of it quickly. I just wish that the installers had more attention to detail when they install the system. We also had an issue where the system didn't regenerate and the water backed up in the tank, but it seems to have resolved itself.

The quality of water is quite better now. I got the test strips and tested it a couple times after we had the RainSoft system installed to make sure everything stays good and low and stays down like they are supposed to. It's working the way it's supposed to and we are not using a lot of salt like our old system did at the previous residence.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

I bought a house and I did the free Home Depot water test kit. When the results came out, it said that my water was garbage. I was super grossed out and felt a little bit pressure to at least make changes to my drinking water. I called RainSoft and got the system that covers the kitchen faucet, and the installation went fine. I have to change one of the filters once a year, and then RainSoft calls and reminds me to change another one every few years. However, I regret spending that much money on a water filter since I've lived this long without one and I've been fine.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

RainSoft got in contact with us and said that they were gonna do a demonstration with no obligation. So, they came out and checked our water for us and found out quickly that the water supply in our area wasn’t the greatest. The process of setting up for them to come out was very easy. The salesman came out and had all the tools and everything he needed, and he showed us the presentation. He was really good, very professional, and wasn’t pushy. He just showed us his products and what his products can do, and he wanted to know if we were interested in it.

We purchased a whole-house filter. We have the double tank filter on the outside where you gotta put the pellets in. The RainSoft installation team was good. They came out and installed everything, and they had all the tools they needed. It took them about a few hours, but they were very professional and very good. Since the installation, we noticed that there’s a lot more water now, and it seems like our soap suds up more. We don't have to use as much soap. We’re really pleased with the product as a whole.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

A guy came over here to our house and did some tests on the water. He showed us that the water was receiving a lot of dirt and everything that he said was true. I decided to get the filter and have had the RainSoft water system for two months now. It's very good and we can see the difference in the quality of water when we wash the dishes, food and clothes. Everything is fine at this moment. Also, the RainSoft representatives explained everything very clearly and we had good interactions with them.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

We had hard water and didn't want the calcium deposits and buildup in the pipes, fridge and ice cube maker so we were determined to get soft water. RainSoft's rep was great and gave us a lot of information. He had a test kit with him and he did some test samples with the water. He told us all about the system. He had a good sense of humor too and spent quite a lot of time with us. We purchased a whole home system from them, plus the one with the little drinking water. Since it was installed, the water seems softer on my skin. When I wash my hands, my hands aren't as dry as they would be with hard water. I have eczema, so I noticed having the system helped quite a bit. My water tastes better too. I highly recommend RainSoft.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

The water over here is very hard and it has a lot of chemicals in it. I thought of putting in something so that the water would be a bit better because I was drinking bottled water and not water from the faucet. That convinced me to look into water systems. So when RainSoft came up, I thought I would give it a try. The reps came right away and they explained things very well. They had to have a permit, so the guy from the city came and checked everything, and he said everything was okay. But one thing that he wanted to know was that in case there was a plumbing accident, it wouldn’t back up. So they put in something for a backup so that it wouldn’t contaminate my drinking water, and it was all good. I like the way they handled everything.

The installation was done right away and it was very well-done. The water that we wash our dishes with and take a shower with is from the RainSoft system. The drinking water is separate from my pool water and water for the grass. They put a separate tank a separate faucet for the drinking water. I like the RainSoft water system. Our skin really gets nice. My hair and my husband's hair get nice as well, and he loves it. We also get to receive all the soaps and the cleaners, and that helps a lot. The RainSoft water system is wonderful and I would recommend it. We recommended it to a lot of our friends and neighbors.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

I was interested in the filter and I wanted something I can drink and to use good water. Setting up for a consultation with RainSoft was a good experience, and there was good communication with the RainSoft rep. He had some tips for the water and he was professional. I purchased the filter system and there has been a big difference since having it installed. The water is very clear and very soft, and it has a very good taste. It is good for everything. I'd recommend RainSoft.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

I just moved and the water here was not as good as the water in the city of Baltimore. My son told me about RainSoft and because of his recommendation, I chose to go with them. Their rep showed me the difference between my water and the water that they had. My water had a lot of chemicals and stuff in it. Plus, it was hard. I bought the whole house system. The installers did a good job putting the system in and all went in very well. For maintenance, I have to buy salt for it and just load it in the tank. The system seems to be working fine. When I go take a shower, the water feels softer and the skin doesn't feel as dry.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I had a straightforward consultation with the sales rep from RainSoft. I told them I was interested as the water here in South Florida is always chlorinated. Then, the rep came out, showed me the product and I purchased it. He had good knowledge even though I did my research before and I already knew I was gonna purchase it. The installer was thorough and knew what he was doing. He was polite and cleaned up after himself and I can’t be happier with the installation. I got the reverse osmosis in the kitchen and since I had a previous system, I realized the water is excellent since the RainSoft system was installed. Overall, my whole experience with them was excellent.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

Setting up a consultation with the RainSoft rep was pleasant and easy to do. The sales rep was very professional and well-versed in his product. We had hard water and we ended up purchasing the whole system from RainSoft. Their installation team put the system in and they were professional. Since the installation of the system, our water is very much softer. I still have a concern about cloudy water, and they said it would be gone. But there are times when I turn my sink on to get a glass of water, and it's all white. My husband said that it's supposed to be normal in the first months. But he has not followed up on it. Other than that, it was a pleasant experience, and I would recommend them.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

We had a RainSoft rep come out, and he wasn't pushy and trying to sell anything. He showed us and explained everything. He was very good and he did a thing for us to show us how the system does the water. We got the filtration system throughout the house and then we got the thing that filters the water three or four times so it's better than bottled water, just a little spout off the sink. The installer left everything cleaned up and he did great.

I drink a lot of water during the day and I can taste the big difference in water that does not have the system on it. I drink the water that comes out of that little extra spout on the sink and I love it. But I am not impressed at all with the cleaning supplies like the soap. I still buy my own laundry detergent because the laundry detergent does not clean the clothes. Also, I cannot get the RainSoft machine to connect with my phone to remind me about refilling it with salt. Nevertheless, RainSoft is definitely a great product and I advise anybody to put it in their house.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

We're having a great time with our RainSoft water system. I didn't think there was a problem with our water before, but after going through their little sales pitch, it has made sense. I like RainSoft's products, and the reps were fine. The gentleman who did the installation was very efficient, kind and helpful. It took him about an hour to put everything together, and he cleaned up after himself. With RainSoft, our water is much clearer and nicer now. We feel cleaner and the clothes are better.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

RainSoft has been great and the person who sold it to us, Carlos, was amazing. I got the new little boxes on the sink and I also have the total house softener. Since having the system installed, the dryness of my skin has gone down tremendously. I was a big tap water drinker so I did not really notice a lot from a taste perspective but from a peace of mind perspective, I feel a lot better drinking RainSoft water.

RainSoft, A Division of Aquion, Inc. expert review by Greg Chick

RainSoft Water Treatment Systems is a company that offers residential customers water and air purification services. The company is headquartered in Elk Grove Village, IL, and they serve customers throughout the world.

• Convenience: There are hundreds of dealers across the world that can install RainSoft products, so the company is a convenient choice for customers throughout many parts of the United States and the world.

• Complimentary water test: The company provides customers with complimentary water tests to see if they are good candidates for water treatment or filtration.

• Taste and smell: RainSoft guarantees that their product will reduce unwanted smells and tastes in consumers' water, which makes it better to drink, wash food with, cook with and bathe in.

• Safe filtration methods: RainSoft uses activated carbon filtration, which is a method that has been deemed safe for use by the Environmental Protection Agency, and they do not use any harsh chemical products in their purification process.

• Movable: The filtration systems manufactured by RainSoft can be moved from home to home, which means customers can take their system with them when they move and that they do not have to purchase multiple systems if they end up choosing to live in multiple homes.

• Best for: Homeowners with hard water, homeowners near a compromised water supply and rural customers using well water.

Profile picture of Greg Chick
Greg Chick Water Treatment Systems Contributing Editor

Greg Chick has worked as an entrepreneur for over 40 years with a background in plumbing, irrigation, pools and water heating. He is a member of Green Plumbers USA, International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials and American Society of Plumbing Engineers. Greg works to educate residential consumers about quality plumbing products.

RainSoft Water Treatment Systems Company Information

RainSoft, A Division of Aquion, Inc.
1953