Maytag Microwaves

Compare Microwaves

Research top Microwaves recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Also purchase the Maytag MMV405DS-1 over the stove microwave and in less than one year the light kept going out and the unit functions at no regular frequency. The unit is now out of warranty but service is coming to look at the problem again this week because we reported the problem within warranty. Maytag needs to be accountable for selling a lemon which I can only guess has a bad motherboard that they do not want to replace.

I bought a Maytag microwave in Feb of '16. Six months later, last August, it stopped working correctly (light doesn't come on, will not start, continually says "open/close door to start"). I have been trying for THREE MONTHS to have this fixed. Multiple calls to Maytag have resulted in nothing but empty promises. Calls to the store where we purchased it do no good - "you have to call Maytag." We got 6 months use out of a Maytag microwave which we paid EXTRA to have installed. At this point I don't want it fixed. I want it replaced. The Maytag brand used to stand for durability and integrity; now it stands for badly made products and pathetic customer service. Look up my phone number on your computers, Maytag, and you will see all the efforts I've made to get this fixed.

Product number MMV4205DS. Beautiful, felt solid. Right away when we would put in a time to cook and hit start, the thing would say "Open Close Door". First we thought it was moisture, and we would wipe the seal, then lifting the door a little helped. A month might go by and we would repeat this process. I did a little research and found the microwave is known for this. After the warranty was up, it got worse. My husband put a little screwdriver in the door clamp. The plastic guard that held the door shut fell behind the opening.

Mulling over whether to call for repairs or buy a new one, we decided the latter. I am buying another one just like it, because the holes in the wall will match for an easy swap and it matches my suite. This time I took out the 3 year warranty, which I will hold Maytag responsible for any more problems. They say if they come and fix it 4 times in a year they will declare it a lemon and replace. I figure this will work in my favor because the microwave lasts a year!

Maytag Microwave MMV4205DW-1 - This microwave made it one year and one month before the door would no longer latch shut and the control panel stopped working altogether. Called Maytag and was told not under warranty. It was going to cost more to repair than to purchase a new microwave that was a different brand.

Bought a new Maytag Over the stove model Microwave from Lowe's. It worked fine for a while. Then it started saying "open close door." We opened the door and closed it, and sometimes it would work. This went on for a while till it finally would not work at all. Called for repair, the service guy came and took it apart and one of the door switches needed adjusting. He left and it was working, good deal. 2 days later open close door started all over again. We found if we lifted the door when closing it, then it would work sometimes, until one day it would no longer work. We called for another appointment, and got a new company to fix it called ABCO. The service guy showed up and tightened a screw and it worked again, said the other service guy might have forgot to tighten it down. I tried it and it worked. We did not touch it again till next morning and back to open close door again.

Called ABCO back and got a new service time for Wednesday next week. Wednesday came and went, called to see why no show. They said we were not on the service list and "we're very sorry." So we set up a new time for them to show the following week Tuesday between 12 and 3 pm. At 3:49 they called and said sorry, but they were not going to be able to make it today. I told her then get us tomorrow and was told they were very busy and maybe Thursday would be better. I told her we were in line and and should get service before others that came on later. Her reply was maybe Monday of next week was better. After the runaround she said they would try for Wednesday tomorrow, but no promise made. After that I called Maytag direct and they said nothing they could do except make another service appointment.

She told me I could get a service appointment tomorrow Wednesday between 8 and 12am or 12 and 3pm. I asked with who this time and was told ABCO who just told me they were too busy to show up tomorrow and had put me on standby. In the meantime I paid over $300 for the Maytag microwave that is never going to need service because the Maytag service man is so lonely. And bought a $ 200 Panasonic counter model so we could have a working microwave. So now we are in over $500 and still no Maytag working microwave.

They did send me a letter offering me a discount on extended service plan if I want one. I told them it would be cheaper after the one year runs out under warranty, to just junk the microwave because it has cost me way more in wasted time, waiting for the lonely Maytag repairman to show up. Bottom line do not buy a Maytag Microwave model MMV4205DS-1 unless you just want a good looking decoration over your stove with a nice light, and have plenty of time waiting for the lonely Maytag repairman.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Maytag?

I bought this over the range Maytag microwave model MMV4205DH-1 5 months ago and today a hairline crack appeared alongside the door handle. I called Maytag to find out how I can get this repaired since, as time progresses, it will become worse due to using the handle to open and close the microwave. I was told this was a 'cosmetic' warranty which expired after 30 days. They would fix it only if the microwave couldn't be opened. Apparently, the handle can become loose but as long as the door opens, they won't do anything.

I bought Maytag because of their supposed reputation. I'm so glad this happened with my $300 microwave as we were getting ready to replace our washer and dryer and were looking at Maytags. Good to know they don't back their products before I spend several thousand dollars on a washer and dryer. I will NEVER purchase another Maytag. My $120 generic microwave lasted 10 years and I gave it to my son and it is still going strong.

We purchased an entire suite of Maytag kitchen appliances in September 2014 at a cost of $4300. Have had problems with every single item. The MMV5219DH microwave was the first issue. After a year it began to give us erroneous display messages when we tried to use it. We would input the number of minutes we wanted the food to cook, and we'd get a message saying CHK TIME/OPEN DOOR. Repeated door closings, resets of the time, etc. did nothing. Sometimes if we hit "cancel" it would work - other times not. We'd push every button on the keyboard and eventually we'd get it to work - perhaps 10 minutes later. When I called the appliance store (Vic's Appliances in Saco Maine) I was told to unplug it for an hour. Okay, that corrected the issue - for a few days.

When the problem continued, sometimes unplugging it had no effect - other times it did. Eventually we figured out if we didn't reset the clock time it would work most of the time (not 100%). The Maytag refrigerator began to malfunction at the same time (not keeping temp, and the ice in the icemaker melting and refreezing in a big lump that blocked the door water/ice dispenser) so we called Vic's again and set up a service call. Serviceman reset the microwave to "factory specs" and we will see what happens. He also reset the fridge to different temps, and 2 days after his visit it has again melted the ice in the icemaker and formed a blob at the bottom. DO NOT BUY MAYTAG!!!

We use it only defrosting and re-heating. It is annoying because you cannot select a specific food for these two features and even the lowest setting is too long to heat a cup of liquid.

Purchased 4 Maytag kitchen appliances - stove, double oven, fridge, dishwasher - was told that they were all made in the USA. WRONG. The microwave comes from China - not sure why Maytag is not being honest. Not happy with my purchases - even though we spent $4000 to "buy American." Warranty service is awful - even extended warranty is a joke. Would never purchase Maytag again.

This is the best microwave that we have ever purchased. I especially like the baked potato choice. It's also very easy to use and clean. I would definitely recommend it.

We learned the hard way that everything Maytag makes is garbage. The same company makes Whirlpool, Frigidaire, etc. Disgusting thing is apparently most appliances now are very poor quality. According to experts this is because there isn't much competition in this industry.

Since having this installed, it's done just about everything from preparing an entire meal to simple heat ups! Our unit came complete with a stainless steel finish (to join all the other stainless finished appliances) and its cooking ability is absolutely tremendous! The controls are easy to reach, and understand and cook exactly as promised! I would, and have, recommended this product to family and friends and will continue to do so!

My complaint is not against Home Depot but Maytag Products. They are inferior products. Stay away from Maytag! Note: We are in our mid-to late 60's, no kids using these products and they do not get a lot of wear and tear. Maytag Microwave: MMV 4205DS-0, May 29, 2014 we purchased Maytag appliances for our kitchen (stove and microwave from Home Depot). I liked the 10 year metal warranty plate attached to the front "limited warranty" of the microwave. This means nothing! They cover the stainless cavity of the microwave (a part that will never go bad). June 3, 2014 this microwave was delivered. Thanksgiving, the microwave went out November 30, 2015 this was replaced with GE Profile Model JVM3160RFSS for $178.

November 30, 2015, Diamond Factory Service was here for the Microwave. We paid $90 for the service call. They wanted $228.09 to repair (1-8206419 Switch $15.22; 1 W10269460 Switch $27.03; 1 W10727360 Microswitch $27.03 and Labor $155.00). Maytag Dishwasher MDB7749AWM. Purchased from Al race Appliance for $599.95 total with tag etc was $920.27 on 5/16/12. So thankful was purchased the additional warranty for five years. We have had 2 service calls so far for the same issue, which is W10356494 Console CMFF0312434. This is a known problem (it will not start). I wish I would have googled the model before purchase was made. When the warranty expires, this will go to the curb too.

Also, purchased Maytag Neptune Washer and Dryer from Best Maytag, Rockford. The dryer had problems with the circuit board after a short time. Too expensive to replace. Our family and friends ALWAYS purchased Maytag only. No more! Stay away! We are waiting for the oven to go next. Oh and check out the bottom drawer. There use to be room for pots and pans. No more. Lucky to get your pot holders in there.

First failed after 16 months. Second twice in 15 months. They are lucky to last 16-24 months. Stupid for a microwave that normally last 5 plus years for every other brand I ever bought.

Didn't even want to put 1 star but that is the lowest you can give. Maytag microwave less than a year old paid $350. Door clasp broke. Took two weeks to send a repairman out, he came out and of course did not have the part -- took another week to get it. Fixed the door and then he crashed and burned the microwave shorted it out and now it is totally dead. That was 2 1/2 weeks ago. Maytag refuses to replace the microwave and insists that the same incompetent service company come out and fix it.

Meanwhile I have to call Maytag every other day to find out when the correct part to repair the microwave will be in. Was told it would be in two days ago. Never got a call to schedule the repair, called today to find out they never even ordered the part. Here goes another week without my microwave. Not only does Maytag have horrible customer service, they manage to find unskilled repair techs with equally horrible customer service! Will never ever buy another May "useless" Tag appliance again.

Yes... It is out of warranty but is in pristine condition, used infrequently and is like new; however, the Maytag company doesn't care that I own all their appliances & offers me a new one after reporting a failed magnetron at a 'discount' price... Which is more than I could buy one locally. They are now on my list for junk appliances with GE. They are uncaring and don't appreciate loyalty from their customers. Go for another company that isn't a conglomerate... "Whirlpool, Maytag, KitchenAid, Jenn-Air, Amana, Gladiator GarageWorks, Inglis, Estate, Brastemp, Bauknecht, Indesit and Consul are ONE company!

After acquiring the Maytag Corporation on March 31, 2006, the Whirlpool Corporation surpassed Electrolux to become "the largest home appliance maker in the world.' 2014 Maytag replaces the "old, bored" repairman with a younger, "can-do, more macho" repairman played by Colin Ferguson (actor). Now we DO need the repairman & this young guy is too busy to care fixing their junk! Congratulations, Maytag!

The light under the hood burned out fairly quickly and so I went to the hardware to get a new bulb and brought the one that came with it, and said she didn't know why that bulb was in it. So she gave me a bulb for microwaves and it too burned out. So I called service and she said because I purchased it in 2013 it's 6 months past due on warranty but hemmed and hawed, wondering if I would have to pay a technician to come out, and said it could be a fuse or some wiring issues. Hmmm, good to know. I hope that is all I have problems with. I purchased fridge, stove, dishwasher, microwave with them. Also have dryer but no problems with that. It has been at least 10 yrs, knock on wood, LOL.

We loved the Maytag Over-the-Range Microwave MMV5208WW with the oscillating tray, rather than the rotating turntable, but after only three years the magnetron tube failed and the cost of the tube plus installation was about 80% of the cost of a new unit. I've read many reviews of other people having only 2-3 years of tube life. I would buy another brand, but saw that Maytag is now offering a 10 year warranty. They make another oscillating tray model, but it is not available in the United States, after being misinformed by Maytag customer service people on three different phone calls.

Purchased a Maytag microwave model MMV5219DS-1. This was a big mistake! First time we used the microwave the wife did not cover the food and a little splattered onto the door glass (plastic to be correct). The microwave promptly heated the splatter on the door plastic and melted a hole in the plastic. Now whenever we use the microwave the whole door fills with condensation and fogs up. This makes no sense at all, the inside layer is plastic and the outside layer is glass??? Our old Kenmore microwave is glass on the inside and plastic on the outside, never had a problem.

I purchased the microwave less than two years ago. I noticed the display panel would not always work a few months ago. This is part of the control panel that shows time, etc. Called Maytag just now & they told me that the control panel is starting to fail. I could purchase a one year extended warranty for $289!!!

Are you kidding me??? The part alone would be around $160. What has happened to Maytag? I thought they had a good name. :( Very disappointed.

Because of the power of advertising, we replaced every appliance in our home in 2005 with Maytags. Since then, we've had minor problems with the stove and dryer, many problems with the dishwasher and washing machine, and complete failure of two Maytag microwaves, the last one was only two years old. The washing machine failures resulted in major flood damage two separate times due to two separate failures. Our refrigerator, model MBB2256GEW, has yet to let us down, however, since new it makes loud snapping noises that wake us up at night. It sounds like someone banging two large sticks together. Fortunately, I can repair most of these issues when they arise, but I'd much rather get some rest like the Maytag repair man...

I purchased a Maytag Microwave Oven MMV5208 WS 1 from Home Depot less than two years ago. Mine was actually manufactured in April 2013 according to the ID tag. A couple of months ago it started acting up because a switch when the door closes began to malfunction and you had to open and close the door several times to get the microwave started. Then all of a sudden when you set the timer and pushed the start button it would flash on and immediately shut off. This is extremely frustrating because I paid more than $400.00 and purchased it less than two years ago. I am disappointed because Maytag advertises its reliability and this microwave is anything but reliable.

The microwave is 5 years 6 months since purchase model MMV4203DS. Fire started at rack clip left front rack, was cooking bacon. Called Maytag and according to them and manual on page 3 is only for 2-level cooking to avoid damage to microwave oven. DOES NOT SAY WILL CATCH FIRE OR THE RACK CAUSES SPARKS AND BACON SHOULD NOT BE COOKED IN A MAYTAG MICROWAVE. But according to Representatives of MAYTAG ** it's my fault for not reading my manual. YES AND NOT HAVING THE SERIAL NUMBER THAT IS ON A PAPER TAG IN THE WHIP ZONE. The was gone from keeping it clean faded out. So I cannot be helped without the model and serial number.

My Maytag model MMV4205BAB microwave turns on and heats when the door is closed. We paid a lot of $$ for this overhead microwave and it has not been a satisfactory product. The turntable broke within a couple of months and now this. I'm afraid it will burn my house down. This is a defective product and in my opinion it should be recalled. I have read several other posts about this exact model and problem. We purchased all Maytag appliances for our new home and we have had problems with all of them. The auger on the ice maker on the freezer broke within a couple of months. The handle on the oven door broke off while the builder was installing the appliances, and the top of the line dishwasher doesn't clean the dishes. It leave deposits on everything, no matter the detergent used. I'll never purchase Maytag again!

I am disappointed in my Maytag Microwave with a door handle breaking off & finding out it needs a complete door as this is HOW they make them now!!! The new door costs $250.00!!! What has happened to the dependable Maytag I knew?? They are GONE!! No MORE Maytag's for my family & friends!

MMV1153BAB - Purchased 11/2007, completely died 2013. This appliance combo left us without a hood light and exhaust fan. What a waste of money!! Worked fine, wasn't abused & one day DEAD!! I guess compared to some people we at least got a few years.

Purchased a Maytag microwave/range hood in 2005. So yes, it is almost 10 years old but should the handle break off in one's hand? I would say poor material is the culprit. No use contacting the company by the looks of it... they don't stand by their product. Warranty says 10 years but broken handle would likely be 'cosmetic...'

On June 17, 2013, we purchased this over the stove microwave for my elderly parents. They use it daily to heat their lunches. In December 2014, it would stop turning and finally in January 2015 it completely died... no heating and no turning. The technician quoted a repair at $200 when we only paid a little more to purchase it.

I emailed Maytag to tell them that it was manufactured and purchased in 2013 with light use and that it should never have died in such a short period of time. An "e-Solutions Specialist" contacted me to tell me that "they certainly understand my frustration, but that occasionally failures occur and that there was nothing they could do." I replied back that they could DO something because they were customer service and that was there job. No reply back yet, but after seeing so many of the same issues here, I'm not holding my breath and I would never buy or recommend a Maytag product of any kind to anyone. I don't expect 15 years from an appliance, but I certainly think 18 months is just wrong.

I purchased this 4 years ago from Home Depot. Within a few months the turntable motor broke and was fixed under warranty. Next the metal right side of the case had a very noisy vibration every time the magnatron turned on... repaired by extended warranty that I purchased. It was quiet for a while, but noise returned, by out of warranty, so lived with it. Yesterday the unit worked and a few hours later started beeping repeatedly like item needed to be removed, but I hadn't put anything in it. The clock screen showed "E5" and no matter what buttons I pushed it would not reset or clear. I turned off the breaker, let it rest and turned it back on... same "E5" message. It is not worth a call for service at $85 plus parts, so replacing it.

I purchased and installed a high end MAYTAG above the stove microwave. After 3 years of light use I hear an electric cracking sound and it dies. Of course no warranty coverage. Model MMV5208WB-1. I have to conclude MAYTAG builds junk and does not stand behind what they sell.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Maytag has been in the business of providing home appliances for 100 years. They sell washing machines, microwaves, heating and cooling units and much more for the home. They promote their products as the "hardest-working helper in the house."

• Large capacity: Maytag doesn't bother with small microwaves, instead you'll find a small range of high-volume models reaching up to 2.2 cubic feet in size.
  • Color selection: Every Maytag microwave comes with a color selection. Choose between black, white or stainless steel.
  • Charcoal odor filter: Keep cooking smells from overwhelming your kitchen and home with the odor filter.
  • 10-year warranty: Coverage for parts and internal damage is included for 10 years.
  • WideGlide tray: The tray holds dishes up to 10" x 15" that would never work inside a turntable-style microwave.
  • Best for Large families. The size and basic functionality of the ranges makes these ideal for families.

Compare Microwaves