Maytag Microwaves

Compare Microwaves

Research top Microwaves recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Door switches bad after 18 months of little use. We are a retired couple in Florida and spend half our time up north. Maytag has a big tag attached that boast 10 year warranty. Turns out that it's a very mis-leading warranty. It only covers parts if you can prove them defective, per customer service. NEVER AGAIN WILL I BUY A MAYTAG ANYTHING.

I bought my microwave in Nov of 2015. We began having problems in April 2017. When you cook or warm something up it gets hot. The light won't come on and the display continues to say open/close door. After about 4 hours of cool down time it may or may not restart. After contacting Maytag I was told I should have purchased the warranty. They also informed me that they do not have repairman in my area. We have just replaced all appliances with Maytag so now I am concerned they are all junk. We did buy warranties on the major appliances, but how will they repair with no repairman in my area.

Maytag used to be the best appliances but after this experience and now I have a broken microwave after only a year and a half that they don't stand behind, I will never purchase any Maytag again. It also seems that this is not the only issue they are having with their microwaves. I have contacted my Lowe's where we purchased and they even made a Maytag call with no results. Maybe the suppliers should stop promoting and selling their items. We replaced a 22 yr old Kenmore microwave that was still working that's why this is so heart breaking. Stand behind your products. No wonder you don't have repairman. They would never get a day off from repairing your junk.

Under no circumstances should anyone buy an MMV4205DE or maybe any Maytag microwave. These units contain defective door switches and will fail within a year rendering the unit useless. The engineer that got the bright idea to protect us from starting the microwave without opening and closing the door along with the engineer that designed the defective switch scheme should be fired immediately.

I purchased the unit March 2016 to replace a 10-year-old Maytag that had a failed magnetron, no problems ever with the door switches! This unit started to act up in Dec 2016 with the fatal open/close door problem, I am an EE so I opened the unit and checked the switches and found they were defective, replaced both for $80 and 6 months later the problem is back. I am buying another brand as I don't have time to deal with the problems with this unit. I now have the old white 15-year-old unit that I replaced years ago sitting on the counter to use while another unit is on order. Unit is heading for the landfill next month. Never buy a Maytag microwave, they all have the same problems!!!

Do not purchase this microwave! I checked the reviews and thought they couldn't all have the same problem. THEY DO! This Maytag Microwave MMV4205DS1 has some faulty switch in the door latch mechanism. The warranty repair company came and adjusted the switches... and then fully replaced the switches. Each time it worked for about 30-60 days and then the same error would repeat itself. Never resolved... buying a different microwave. Be sure to check all reviews for repetitive complaints.

This microwave will NOT function AT ALL with the 'door open/close' message. Here are the details of our microwave. Purchased from Home Depot December 2015. First experienced the open/close door message around June 2016 (6 months after purchase). With the open/close door message, the interior light will not come on, the keypad will accept entries but will give the open/close door message as soon as start is pressed. Repaired under warranty August 2016. Repairman tightened and replaced one of the two fuses behind the metal plate. Also moved the door connectors as far as they would go to help with the door sensor issue.

Worked until mid-December. Same message reappeared. Called repair company. Still under warranty. He order new switch parts and installed in January 2017. Microwave worked for 2 months. Then same exact door/open close message. Called repair company. Since we do not have an extended warranty, the parts would be covered but not the labor. DO NOT PURCHASE THIS MICROWAVE or any other microwave that has reviews listing a "door open/close" issue. It will not go away! ...and you will be very frustrated.

In April 17, 2015, I purchased another Maytag microwave but wanted the convection oven too from Home Depot. The convection fan quit working in January 2017. I called Maytag to ask how this was covered. Maytag only has 1 year warranty on parts and labor. So basically if you don't buy an extended warranty, you are stuck with a product that quits working. Apparently, Maytag's work is only good for 1 year or they would have a longer warranty. I told the Rep this when I spoke to him. He told me they normally last 5-7 years. Wow, still not acceptable. He said I had two options. Maytag could send out a repairman and it would cost almost $300. The other option was just as ridiculous. I told him I paid almost $500 to start with and it only lasted 21 months.

Of course he said if I had bought extended warranty it would have helped. If I paid $500 for an oven, why should I have to pay more to cover their bad workmanship?!! I am very disappointed in the quality and price of this convection oven. The bad thing is I bought all new Maytag stainless steel appliances in 2016 to match the convection oven. The products I replaced had been in my home for 12 years with no problems.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Maytag?

It's mounted above the stove, ten years old and still looks & operates like brand new. Have never had a problem with it and it's used almost daily. From heating up food to making dinner & popcorn. This is the longest lasting microwave I've ever purchased. Maytag made a great product.

I love using my microwave because everytime I am in a hurry, like going to work and my kids to school and don't have time to cook or we don't like to eat outside fast food I cook healthy the night before and microwave it the next day and it just feels like the food is just made. It taste so good my kids and husband love it.

We purchased Maytag microwave (MMV4205DH1) less than two years ago. Within the first year, the microwave would not work and we would see an Open and Close Door message. We had it repaired and now 10 months later it is doing the same thing. The cost of repairs is high--the same as a new microwave. We have been inconvenienced throughout the holidays by our broken appliance. Disappointed.

Bought a Maytag Microwave in 2015, Model #MMV4205-1. It worked fine at first. Now the open close door message comes on, and it doesn't work all the time. Well after a week of that, now it blows the breaker when the door is opened. After reading all of the complaints on this site, I wish the consumer protection would make Maytag do something about this product. More Chinese products and corporations ripping off American consumers.

MMV5207BAQ purchased in Feb 2009. I paid $512.00. 5-09 Bob Miller's Appliance replaced the door because it bubbled. 10-11 Bob Miller appliance replace the door because the handle broke off. 3-12 Bob Miller appliance replace the door because the handle broke off. 10-16 Door handle broke off again under normal wear and tear. 12/14/16 I went to Bob Millers Appliances and was told to contact Whirlpool. 12/16/16 I called Whirlpool, Tina said, yes it is excessive but it is not under warranty and they do not make the microwave any longer and they can't do anything to repair it and they can not fix the issue. I find it how to believe I'm the only person who has had this issue. I don't have kids. It's only me that uses it.

We purchased the MMV4205DS over the range microwave in June of 2015 & installed it in July the same year. We purchased the matching range & a dishwasher at the same time as they were running a promo of $150 rebate if all 3 were purchased. They denied us of $50 of the rebate & stated that all of the paperwork was not submitted on time. We received rebates on 2 of the appliances & paperwork for all. 3 were in the same mailing. Hmmm. We were told a 3rd party handles their rebate program. So much for taking ownership. Yesterday the "door open" message appeared on the control panel of the microwave & now there is nothing; no light, no fan--completely dead. So much for buying American. Maytag does not see that this is a problem? Do NOT buy Maytag!!!

I have always thought of Maytag being the quality manufacturer of appliance products. We purchased a Maytag microwave (MMV4205DH-1) and after just two years it has begun to give us grief (we are in our early 70's, no family at home, so appliance receives medium usage). We constantly get the open/door message when we are trying to set the timer for operation. We open and close, open and close, etc. Just yesterday my wife noticed a slight crack on the door just below the handle, most likely due to frequent open and closing. Went online and read a number of reviews and found many others have had same or similar issues. Done with Maytag.

Maytag Model # MMV4205DS - First Maytag microwave lasted just over a year before it quit. Replaced with same model to avoid install hassle and 1 year and 4 months later got the dreaded open and close door message. Read so many horror stories about repair service for Maytag that I decided not to bother and purchased a GE. I will never ever, ever buy anything Maytag ever again...

Also purchase the Maytag MMV405DS-1 over the stove microwave and in less than one year the light kept going out and the unit functions at no regular frequency. The unit is now out of warranty but service is coming to look at the problem again this week because we reported the problem within warranty. Maytag needs to be accountable for selling a lemon which I can only guess has a bad motherboard that they do not want to replace.

I bought a Maytag microwave in Feb of '16. Six months later, last August, it stopped working correctly (light doesn't come on, will not start, continually says "open/close door to start"). I have been trying for THREE MONTHS to have this fixed. Multiple calls to Maytag have resulted in nothing but empty promises. Calls to the store where we purchased it do no good - "you have to call Maytag." We got 6 months use out of a Maytag microwave which we paid EXTRA to have installed. At this point I don't want it fixed. I want it replaced. The Maytag brand used to stand for durability and integrity; now it stands for badly made products and pathetic customer service. Look up my phone number on your computers, Maytag, and you will see all the efforts I've made to get this fixed.

Product number MMV4205DS. Beautiful, felt solid. Right away when we would put in a time to cook and hit start, the thing would say "Open Close Door". First we thought it was moisture, and we would wipe the seal, then lifting the door a little helped. A month might go by and we would repeat this process. I did a little research and found the microwave is known for this. After the warranty was up, it got worse. My husband put a little screwdriver in the door clamp. The plastic guard that held the door shut fell behind the opening.

Mulling over whether to call for repairs or buy a new one, we decided the latter. I am buying another one just like it, because the holes in the wall will match for an easy swap and it matches my suite. This time I took out the 3 year warranty, which I will hold Maytag responsible for any more problems. They say if they come and fix it 4 times in a year they will declare it a lemon and replace. I figure this will work in my favor because the microwave lasts a year!

Maytag Microwave MMV4205DW-1 - This microwave made it one year and one month before the door would no longer latch shut and the control panel stopped working altogether. Called Maytag and was told not under warranty. It was going to cost more to repair than to purchase a new microwave that was a different brand.

Bought a new Maytag Over the stove model Microwave from Lowe's. It worked fine for a while. Then it started saying "open close door." We opened the door and closed it, and sometimes it would work. This went on for a while till it finally would not work at all. Called for repair, the service guy came and took it apart and one of the door switches needed adjusting. He left and it was working, good deal. 2 days later open close door started all over again. We found if we lifted the door when closing it, then it would work sometimes, until one day it would no longer work. We called for another appointment, and got a new company to fix it called ABCO. The service guy showed up and tightened a screw and it worked again, said the other service guy might have forgot to tighten it down. I tried it and it worked. We did not touch it again till next morning and back to open close door again.

Called ABCO back and got a new service time for Wednesday next week. Wednesday came and went, called to see why no show. They said we were not on the service list and "we're very sorry." So we set up a new time for them to show the following week Tuesday between 12 and 3 pm. At 3:49 they called and said sorry, but they were not going to be able to make it today. I told her then get us tomorrow and was told they were very busy and maybe Thursday would be better. I told her we were in line and and should get service before others that came on later. Her reply was maybe Monday of next week was better. After the runaround she said they would try for Wednesday tomorrow, but no promise made. After that I called Maytag direct and they said nothing they could do except make another service appointment.

She told me I could get a service appointment tomorrow Wednesday between 8 and 12am or 12 and 3pm. I asked with who this time and was told ABCO who just told me they were too busy to show up tomorrow and had put me on standby. In the meantime I paid over $300 for the Maytag microwave that is never going to need service because the Maytag service man is so lonely. And bought a $ 200 Panasonic counter model so we could have a working microwave. So now we are in over $500 and still no Maytag working microwave.

They did send me a letter offering me a discount on extended service plan if I want one. I told them it would be cheaper after the one year runs out under warranty, to just junk the microwave because it has cost me way more in wasted time, waiting for the lonely Maytag repairman to show up. Bottom line do not buy a Maytag Microwave model MMV4205DS-1 unless you just want a good looking decoration over your stove with a nice light, and have plenty of time waiting for the lonely Maytag repairman.

I bought this over the range Maytag microwave model MMV4205DH-1 5 months ago and today a hairline crack appeared alongside the door handle. I called Maytag to find out how I can get this repaired since, as time progresses, it will become worse due to using the handle to open and close the microwave. I was told this was a 'cosmetic' warranty which expired after 30 days. They would fix it only if the microwave couldn't be opened. Apparently, the handle can become loose but as long as the door opens, they won't do anything.

I bought Maytag because of their supposed reputation. I'm so glad this happened with my $300 microwave as we were getting ready to replace our washer and dryer and were looking at Maytags. Good to know they don't back their products before I spend several thousand dollars on a washer and dryer. I will NEVER purchase another Maytag. My $120 generic microwave lasted 10 years and I gave it to my son and it is still going strong.

We purchased an entire suite of Maytag kitchen appliances in September 2014 at a cost of $4300. Have had problems with every single item. The MMV5219DH microwave was the first issue. After a year it began to give us erroneous display messages when we tried to use it. We would input the number of minutes we wanted the food to cook, and we'd get a message saying CHK TIME/OPEN DOOR. Repeated door closings, resets of the time, etc. did nothing. Sometimes if we hit "cancel" it would work - other times not. We'd push every button on the keyboard and eventually we'd get it to work - perhaps 10 minutes later. When I called the appliance store (Vic's Appliances in Saco Maine) I was told to unplug it for an hour. Okay, that corrected the issue - for a few days.

When the problem continued, sometimes unplugging it had no effect - other times it did. Eventually we figured out if we didn't reset the clock time it would work most of the time (not 100%). The Maytag refrigerator began to malfunction at the same time (not keeping temp, and the ice in the icemaker melting and refreezing in a big lump that blocked the door water/ice dispenser) so we called Vic's again and set up a service call. Serviceman reset the microwave to "factory specs" and we will see what happens. He also reset the fridge to different temps, and 2 days after his visit it has again melted the ice in the icemaker and formed a blob at the bottom. DO NOT BUY MAYTAG!!!

We use it only defrosting and re-heating. It is annoying because you cannot select a specific food for these two features and even the lowest setting is too long to heat a cup of liquid.

Purchased 4 Maytag kitchen appliances - stove, double oven, fridge, dishwasher - was told that they were all made in the USA. WRONG. The microwave comes from China - not sure why Maytag is not being honest. Not happy with my purchases - even though we spent $4000 to "buy American." Warranty service is awful - even extended warranty is a joke. Would never purchase Maytag again.

This is the best microwave that we have ever purchased. I especially like the baked potato choice. It's also very easy to use and clean. I would definitely recommend it.

We learned the hard way that everything Maytag makes is garbage. The same company makes Whirlpool, Frigidaire, etc. Disgusting thing is apparently most appliances now are very poor quality. According to experts this is because there isn't much competition in this industry.

Since having this installed, it's done just about everything from preparing an entire meal to simple heat ups! Our unit came complete with a stainless steel finish (to join all the other stainless finished appliances) and its cooking ability is absolutely tremendous! The controls are easy to reach, and understand and cook exactly as promised! I would, and have, recommended this product to family and friends and will continue to do so!

My complaint is not against Home Depot but Maytag Products. They are inferior products. Stay away from Maytag! Note: We are in our mid-to late 60's, no kids using these products and they do not get a lot of wear and tear. Maytag Microwave: MMV 4205DS-0, May 29, 2014 we purchased Maytag appliances for our kitchen (stove and microwave from Home Depot). I liked the 10 year metal warranty plate attached to the front "limited warranty" of the microwave. This means nothing! They cover the stainless cavity of the microwave (a part that will never go bad). June 3, 2014 this microwave was delivered. Thanksgiving, the microwave went out November 30, 2015 this was replaced with GE Profile Model JVM3160RFSS for $178.

November 30, 2015, Diamond Factory Service was here for the Microwave. We paid $90 for the service call. They wanted $228.09 to repair (1-8206419 Switch $15.22; 1 W10269460 Switch $27.03; 1 W10727360 Microswitch $27.03 and Labor $155.00). Maytag Dishwasher MDB7749AWM. Purchased from Al race Appliance for $599.95 total with tag etc was $920.27 on 5/16/12. So thankful was purchased the additional warranty for five years. We have had 2 service calls so far for the same issue, which is W10356494 Console CMFF0312434. This is a known problem (it will not start). I wish I would have googled the model before purchase was made. When the warranty expires, this will go to the curb too.

Also, purchased Maytag Neptune Washer and Dryer from Best Maytag, Rockford. The dryer had problems with the circuit board after a short time. Too expensive to replace. Our family and friends ALWAYS purchased Maytag only. No more! Stay away! We are waiting for the oven to go next. Oh and check out the bottom drawer. There use to be room for pots and pans. No more. Lucky to get your pot holders in there.

First failed after 16 months. Second twice in 15 months. They are lucky to last 16-24 months. Stupid for a microwave that normally last 5 plus years for every other brand I ever bought.

Didn't even want to put 1 star but that is the lowest you can give. Maytag microwave less than a year old paid $350. Door clasp broke. Took two weeks to send a repairman out, he came out and of course did not have the part -- took another week to get it. Fixed the door and then he crashed and burned the microwave shorted it out and now it is totally dead. That was 2 1/2 weeks ago. Maytag refuses to replace the microwave and insists that the same incompetent service company come out and fix it.

Meanwhile I have to call Maytag every other day to find out when the correct part to repair the microwave will be in. Was told it would be in two days ago. Never got a call to schedule the repair, called today to find out they never even ordered the part. Here goes another week without my microwave. Not only does Maytag have horrible customer service, they manage to find unskilled repair techs with equally horrible customer service! Will never ever buy another May "useless" Tag appliance again.

Yes... It is out of warranty but is in pristine condition, used infrequently and is like new; however, the Maytag company doesn't care that I own all their appliances & offers me a new one after reporting a failed magnetron at a 'discount' price... Which is more than I could buy one locally. They are now on my list for junk appliances with GE. They are uncaring and don't appreciate loyalty from their customers. Go for another company that isn't a conglomerate... "Whirlpool, Maytag, KitchenAid, Jenn-Air, Amana, Gladiator GarageWorks, Inglis, Estate, Brastemp, Bauknecht, Indesit and Consul are ONE company!

After acquiring the Maytag Corporation on March 31, 2006, the Whirlpool Corporation surpassed Electrolux to become "the largest home appliance maker in the world.' 2014 Maytag replaces the "old, bored" repairman with a younger, "can-do, more macho" repairman played by Colin Ferguson (actor). Now we DO need the repairman & this young guy is too busy to care fixing their junk! Congratulations, Maytag!

The light under the hood burned out fairly quickly and so I went to the hardware to get a new bulb and brought the one that came with it, and said she didn't know why that bulb was in it. So she gave me a bulb for microwaves and it too burned out. So I called service and she said because I purchased it in 2013 it's 6 months past due on warranty but hemmed and hawed, wondering if I would have to pay a technician to come out, and said it could be a fuse or some wiring issues. Hmmm, good to know. I hope that is all I have problems with. I purchased fridge, stove, dishwasher, microwave with them. Also have dryer but no problems with that. It has been at least 10 yrs, knock on wood, LOL.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Maytag has been in the business of providing home appliances for 100 years. They sell washing machines, microwaves, heating and cooling units and much more for the home. They promote their products as the "hardest-working helper in the house."

• Large capacity: Maytag doesn't bother with small microwaves, instead you'll find a small range of high-volume models reaching up to 2.2 cubic feet in size.
  • Color selection: Every Maytag microwave comes with a color selection. Choose between black, white or stainless steel.
  • Charcoal odor filter: Keep cooking smells from overwhelming your kitchen and home with the odor filter.
  • 10-year warranty: Coverage for parts and internal damage is included for 10 years.
  • WideGlide tray: The tray holds dishes up to 10" x 15" that would never work inside a turntable-style microwave.
  • Best for Large families. The size and basic functionality of the ranges makes these ideal for families.

Compare Microwaves