1.32/5
Based on 115 reviews that contain star ratings

153 Maytag Microwaves Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 24, 2018

I purchased a new Maytag microwave from Lowe's barely two years ago. The inner door frame is coming apart which makes the handle to open slack which means the microwave does not operate correctly because you have to open & close several times. I called Maytag. They said the one year warranty is over. Furthermore one of their authorize dealers want $200 for labor, parts is separate. I said I can purchase a new microwave for less which I intend to do but never MAYTAG again.

Original review: May 26, 2018

I've had my Maytag (above range model) for about 4 months. The same as everyone else with open/close door error. Faulty door switch. When the interior light doesn't come on, I know I will get the error. You would think Maytag would have already repaired or replaced this door switch part.

Get expert buying tips about Microwaves delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 2, 2018

Purchased the Maytag MMV405DS Microwave and matching refrigerator from Best Buy in 2016, they were exactly what we had been looking for. Little did we know of the problems we would have with the microwave. At the one year mark the infamous open/close door problem begin. Luckily we were still within the warranty period since it was repaired at no charge. However six month later the problem re-occurred, we are now out of warranty and have little recourse. Maytag should have by now have come up with a fix. I find it hard to believe they are still manufacturing this microwave and selling this product knowing it will fail. We have little choice but to replace it with another brand which will not match. Suggest anyone looking for appliances stay away from Maytag.

Original review: March 5, 2018

We bought a New Condo, all New Maytag appliances with a 10 yr. warranty, the microwave is a built-in model. I can't believe we've only been here a year and eight months and it just stop working. We use it for heating and short timed cooking like 1 to 2 minutes. I would think a name brand product would last a lot longer than this. I had an off brand microwave for five years before the condo. A couple of times the microwave door didn't close, I thought I forgot to close it. But after reading your reviews I now realize it's one of the defects of the product. I called the Maytag company, they informed me that if a serviceman come out to fix it, it will cost me $180 until they can determine if the cause is something covered by their warranty??? The Home Builders bought Maytag junk and passed us the cost, now Maytag wants me to pay to see if their junk can be fixed??? Wow!!! This is unbelievable!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

Bought and installed 2016. The door not staying latched WHEN OPERATING began same year. So had to make sure to triple check door before operation. Then in 2017 the stupid thing keeps coming on by itself. We'd be sitting in the living room and hear it come on! Now it is unplugged. What a disappointment from such a well known company. I guarantee the replacement will NOT be a Maytag.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Maytag?

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

Model number MMV4205. Purchased this microwave on 1/28/2017 and had to schedule a repair for the Open/Close Door malfunction almost immediately. This issue has been on and off for the entire year and in most cases seems to resolve itself within 24 hours. Two days ago it became suddenly much worse and the microwave is unusable. A repair technician is scheduled to come out next week so that will be a total of 7 days without use of microwave. The warranty is up at the end of this month. Very disappointed in Maytag and will never purchase another Maytag appliance in the future.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

Bought a Maytag microwave model MMV4205DS and I too have had an issue with open/close door display. Just like other reviews I've read it started out once in a while for the first year then began happening more often til it stopped working by the second year. I also read someone asking why there isn't a class action lawsuit? Good question. Way too many bad reviews on same issue. If I knew how and if we could start one then I would. Thought we could trust a company that's been around for so many years. Wish we had check into it more and I have learned from other products to do just that from now on. Have a backup microwave by GE from WalMart we've had for 10 yrs still working.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

Purchased a Maytag OTR microwave in May of 2017. Started having issues with the Open/Close Door malfunction by September. Repair came out and essentially told us to keep opening and closing until it worked. It is January 2018 and the issue has gotten worse. My question is, since Maytag is keenly aware of the problem and has for years, based on other reviewers on here, why hasn't a class action lawsuit been filed? These appliances are expensive and it sounds like many of us have been taken to the cleaners!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

I bought the product thinking Maytag - should last a long time. Sadly I was wrong. Bought the microwave from Home Depot in May, 2016 and had it installed by them. The product worked fine for the first 14 months. In fact I thought it was great. It was quiet, heated things quickly - a great product. In July, 2017 I started having problems. The product would start. I was getting a message to 'Close the door' to start the microwave, even though it was closed. When this would happen I noticed that when the door was open, the light wouldn't come on. It would require multiple open/close until finally the light would come on (when door was open). Only then, when I closed the door would the microwave operated as it should. I lived with this inconvenience until Dec, 2017. Of course - over the holidays is when it decided to quit working entirely.

I did my digging and found problems with the switches. I replaced 1 switch - still didn't work. The cost to have a repairman come out is ridiculous (Sears wants $250). My frustration was growing and my confidence in the product was waning. So time to get another microwave. I was done. Frustration and anger doesn't begin to describe my feelings. I went with another brand. It isn't installed yet, it should happen this week. In the future I will tell friends to avoid Maytag microwaves. Apparently they just don't last. I realize this isn't a top of the line microwave, I only spent $299 (plus tax, installation...) but really - shouldn't it last more than 14 months before it starts giving me problems? Very disappointed!!!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

So we bought the whole Maytag kitchen appliance FZ (fingerprint resistant) series suite. That was such a mistake! I'd give the part numbers but I think this applies to Maytag in general as it sounds like all of their appliances suck. Ours are 1½ year old and I already want new ones. Over $3,600 for junk. We knew it was no Viking or Sub Zero but didn't expect to flush $4k down the toilet either.

The microwave is an over the range type and we have it vented to the outside of the house. The vent works like crap to remove the steam when you have a large pot of water boiling on the stove top. I can put the fan on high and barely any steam goes up the vent, most of it ends up soaking the microwave door to the point where I have to towel it off. The vent will hold up a paper towel so I know it's pulling air but the location of the vent in relationship to the large front burners makes it useless. And the self cleaning is as others have already stated - A joke.

We bought the fingerprint resistant SS and I would rather have the fingerprints than all of the scratches. Today, and this is no BS, I had a lottery ticket on the fridge under a magnet and I pulled the ticket because I wanted to check the numbers, well I slid the paper about 4 inches while it was still on the fridge under the magnet and now we have these fine scratches everywhere I did this. It wasn't the magnet because it has a felt backer on it, I took the paper off and slid the magnet all over the place, no scratching. I can't believe a piece of paper would even leave a mark at all. This is aside from some larger scratches that someone in the house must have used a feather duster on it or something.

The French door fridge is loud and the ice maker is huge! The slide out basket in the freezer always gets cockeyed and stuck like it's coming off the track. To line up the door tops you have to adjust the feet on the bottom of the fridge. I have to put ours out of level to get the door tops to line up, well this makes it look terrible in the cabinet space so you have to make a choice of what is uglier - that's just bad engineering. Our old fridge (GE) you could adjust the doors right on the bottom of the door. It's like they forgot this and said, "Well you can just tip it one way or another to get them to line up, ya let's put that in the manual." The dishwasher sucks, plan on rinsing everything, even the silverware doesn't come clean. No it's not our water.

We are so disappointed in this brand which used to be considered very good, what the heck happened? Ship manufacturing over to China? And another thing, I highly doubt this is stainless steel. I know there is ferritic and martensitic stainless that are magnetic but I'd bet all of my appliances that this is just regular carbon sheet steel with some coating on it to give a stainless steel look. All except for the range, that is different and doesn't scratch like the fridge, microwave, and dishwasher. Not sure why but probably has to do with the heat so they couldn't use this junk coating, just a guess though. Anyway it doesn't matter, all of the appliances are a complete waste of money. Poor design, poor performance, poor durability, pure junk!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

Less than 2 years old model MMV5219DH started saying door wasn't closed. Called & they said only the microtron was covered. Then a day later the whole thing doesn't work. Looked at all the reviews and find this is a common problem and that Maytag no longer makes a good product and does not stand by their so called 10 year limited warranties. Also that Whirlpool & Frigidaire all also made by them. Will not buy any of them again.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

We purchased this product (Maytag OTR Microwave/hood) Mar. 2016, along with a bunch of other Maytag appliances (so that they match). One year in, we got the infamous open/close door error. It's a pain, and I was thinking of replacing the sensors. HOWEVER, the darn thing went ** up a few days ago! NOTHING works. It is like it is unplugged. We've checked the breakers and the plug in. All of that is fine. Why is it that the Wal-Mart Microwave I bought for $50 nearly 20 years ago still works like a charm? This is a real lemon. STAY AWAY!!!

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

I have just joined the open and close the door Maytag Club. Purchased four Maytag products on Black Friday 2017 as I always trusted Maytag. Only disappointed to have my microwave (MMV4205D-4) come down with the virus (open & close door) that has plagued so many unsuspected owners. Almost made its 1st year anniversary. Now I see this has been going on for years and all they do is add different model numbers at the end. Luckily I'm in the 1 year warranty and repairman coming next week. Now I question if I should take the extended warranty as I see this is going to happen again down the road. And will the extended warranty cover it? Guess the Maytag repairman isn't sitting and waiting for repair call anymore. He is being kept busy!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I, too, am absolutely done with ANYthing Maytag. We purchased our Maytag microwave model MMV4205DS-1 in January of 2016. Within the first year we experienced occasional "open/close door" issues due to the faulty door latch switches. Now it happens virtually all of the time. The "ten year warranty" is a joke; it is just a come-on designed to deliver a false sense of security that Maytag will indeed stand behind their worthless products when in fact they won't. I am so disgusted with them.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

Door switches bad after 18 months of little use. We are a retired couple in Florida and spend half our time up north. Maytag has a big tag attached that boast 10 year warranty. Turns out that it's a very mis-leading warranty. It only covers parts if you can prove them defective, per customer service. NEVER AGAIN WILL I BUY A MAYTAG ANYTHING.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

I bought my microwave in Nov of 2015. We began having problems in April 2017. When you cook or warm something up it gets hot. The light won't come on and the display continues to say open/close door. After about 4 hours of cool down time it may or may not restart. After contacting Maytag I was told I should have purchased the warranty. They also informed me that they do not have repairman in my area. We have just replaced all appliances with Maytag so now I am concerned they are all junk. We did buy warranties on the major appliances, but how will they repair with no repairman in my area.

Maytag used to be the best appliances but after this experience and now I have a broken microwave after only a year and a half that they don't stand behind, I will never purchase any Maytag again. It also seems that this is not the only issue they are having with their microwaves. I have contacted my Lowe's where we purchased and they even made a Maytag call with no results. Maybe the suppliers should stop promoting and selling their items. We replaced a 22 yr old Kenmore microwave that was still working that's why this is so heart breaking. Stand behind your products. No wonder you don't have repairman. They would never get a day off from repairing your junk.

Original review: June 3, 2017

Under no circumstances should anyone buy an MMV4205DE or maybe any Maytag microwave. These units contain defective door switches and will fail within a year rendering the unit useless. The engineer that got the bright idea to protect us from starting the microwave without opening and closing the door along with the engineer that designed the defective switch scheme should be fired immediately.

I purchased the unit March 2016 to replace a 10-year-old Maytag that had a failed magnetron, no problems ever with the door switches! This unit started to act up in Dec 2016 with the fatal open/close door problem, I am an EE so I opened the unit and checked the switches and found they were defective, replaced both for $80 and 6 months later the problem is back. I am buying another brand as I don't have time to deal with the problems with this unit. I now have the old white 15-year-old unit that I replaced years ago sitting on the counter to use while another unit is on order. Unit is heading for the landfill next month. Never buy a Maytag microwave, they all have the same problems!!!

Original review: April 10, 2017

Do not purchase this microwave! I checked the reviews and thought they couldn't all have the same problem. THEY DO! This Maytag Microwave MMV4205DS1 has some faulty switch in the door latch mechanism. The warranty repair company came and adjusted the switches... and then fully replaced the switches. Each time it worked for about 30-60 days and then the same error would repeat itself. Never resolved... buying a different microwave. Be sure to check all reviews for repetitive complaints.

This microwave will NOT function AT ALL with the 'door open/close' message. Here are the details of our microwave. Purchased from Home Depot December 2015. First experienced the open/close door message around June 2016 (6 months after purchase). With the open/close door message, the interior light will not come on, the keypad will accept entries but will give the open/close door message as soon as start is pressed. Repaired under warranty August 2016. Repairman tightened and replaced one of the two fuses behind the metal plate. Also moved the door connectors as far as they would go to help with the door sensor issue.

Worked until mid-December. Same message reappeared. Called repair company. Still under warranty. He order new switch parts and installed in January 2017. Microwave worked for 2 months. Then same exact door/open close message. Called repair company. Since we do not have an extended warranty, the parts would be covered but not the labor. DO NOT PURCHASE THIS MICROWAVE or any other microwave that has reviews listing a "door open/close" issue. It will not go away! ...and you will be very frustrated.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2017

In April 17, 2015, I purchased another Maytag microwave but wanted the convection oven too from Home Depot. The convection fan quit working in January 2017. I called Maytag to ask how this was covered. Maytag only has 1 year warranty on parts and labor. So basically if you don't buy an extended warranty, you are stuck with a product that quits working. Apparently, Maytag's work is only good for 1 year or they would have a longer warranty. I told the Rep this when I spoke to him. He told me they normally last 5-7 years. Wow, still not acceptable. He said I had two options. Maytag could send out a repairman and it would cost almost $300. The other option was just as ridiculous. I told him I paid almost $500 to start with and it only lasted 21 months.

Of course he said if I had bought extended warranty it would have helped. If I paid $500 for an oven, why should I have to pay more to cover their bad workmanship?!! I am very disappointed in the quality and price of this convection oven. The bad thing is I bought all new Maytag stainless steel appliances in 2016 to match the convection oven. The products I replaced had been in my home for 12 years with no problems.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

It's mounted above the stove, ten years old and still looks & operates like brand new. Have never had a problem with it and it's used almost daily. From heating up food to making dinner & popcorn. This is the longest lasting microwave I've ever purchased. Maytag made a great product.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

I love using my microwave because everytime I am in a hurry, like going to work and my kids to school and don't have time to cook or we don't like to eat outside fast food I cook healthy the night before and microwave it the next day and it just feels like the food is just made. It taste so good my kids and husband love it.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2017

We purchased Maytag microwave (MMV4205DH1) less than two years ago. Within the first year, the microwave would not work and we would see an Open and Close Door message. We had it repaired and now 10 months later it is doing the same thing. The cost of repairs is high--the same as a new microwave. We have been inconvenienced throughout the holidays by our broken appliance. Disappointed.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2017

Bought a Maytag Microwave in 2015, Model #MMV4205-1. It worked fine at first. Now the open close door message comes on, and it doesn't work all the time. Well after a week of that, now it blows the breaker when the door is opened. After reading all of the complaints on this site, I wish the consumer protection would make Maytag do something about this product. More Chinese products and corporations ripping off American consumers.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2016

MMV5207BAQ purchased in Feb 2009. I paid $512.00. 5-09 Bob Miller's Appliance replaced the door because it bubbled. 10-11 Bob Miller appliance replace the door because the handle broke off. 3-12 Bob Miller appliance replace the door because the handle broke off. 10-16 Door handle broke off again under normal wear and tear. 12/14/16 I went to Bob Millers Appliances and was told to contact Whirlpool. 12/16/16 I called Whirlpool, Tina said, yes it is excessive but it is not under warranty and they do not make the microwave any longer and they can't do anything to repair it and they can not fix the issue. I find it how to believe I'm the only person who has had this issue. I don't have kids. It's only me that uses it.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2016

We purchased the MMV4205DS over the range microwave in June of 2015 & installed it in July the same year. We purchased the matching range & a dishwasher at the same time as they were running a promo of $150 rebate if all 3 were purchased. They denied us of $50 of the rebate & stated that all of the paperwork was not submitted on time. We received rebates on 2 of the appliances & paperwork for all. 3 were in the same mailing. Hmmm. We were told a 3rd party handles their rebate program. So much for taking ownership. Yesterday the "door open" message appeared on the control panel of the microwave & now there is nothing; no light, no fan--completely dead. So much for buying American. Maytag does not see that this is a problem? Do NOT buy Maytag!!!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2016

I have always thought of Maytag being the quality manufacturer of appliance products. We purchased a Maytag microwave (MMV4205DH-1) and after just two years it has begun to give us grief (we are in our early 70's, no family at home, so appliance receives medium usage). We constantly get the open/door message when we are trying to set the timer for operation. We open and close, open and close, etc. Just yesterday my wife noticed a slight crack on the door just below the handle, most likely due to frequent open and closing. Went online and read a number of reviews and found many others have had same or similar issues. Done with Maytag.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2016

Maytag Model # MMV4205DS - First Maytag microwave lasted just over a year before it quit. Replaced with same model to avoid install hassle and 1 year and 4 months later got the dreaded open and close door message. Read so many horror stories about repair service for Maytag that I decided not to bother and purchased a GE. I will never ever, ever buy anything Maytag ever again...

Original review: Nov. 28, 2016

Also purchase the Maytag MMV405DS-1 over the stove microwave and in less than one year the light kept going out and the unit functions at no regular frequency. The unit is now out of warranty but service is coming to look at the problem again this week because we reported the problem within warranty. Maytag needs to be accountable for selling a lemon which I can only guess has a bad motherboard that they do not want to replace.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2016

I bought a Maytag microwave in Feb of '16. Six months later, last August, it stopped working correctly (light doesn't come on, will not start, continually says "open/close door to start"). I have been trying for THREE MONTHS to have this fixed. Multiple calls to Maytag have resulted in nothing but empty promises. Calls to the store where we purchased it do no good - "you have to call Maytag." We got 6 months use out of a Maytag microwave which we paid EXTRA to have installed. At this point I don't want it fixed. I want it replaced. The Maytag brand used to stand for durability and integrity; now it stands for badly made products and pathetic customer service. Look up my phone number on your computers, Maytag, and you will see all the efforts I've made to get this fixed.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2016

Product number MMV4205DS. Beautiful, felt solid. Right away when we would put in a time to cook and hit start, the thing would say "Open Close Door". First we thought it was moisture, and we would wipe the seal, then lifting the door a little helped. A month might go by and we would repeat this process. I did a little research and found the microwave is known for this. After the warranty was up, it got worse. My husband put a little screwdriver in the door clamp. The plastic guard that held the door shut fell behind the opening.

Mulling over whether to call for repairs or buy a new one, we decided the latter. I am buying another one just like it, because the holes in the wall will match for an easy swap and it matches my suite. This time I took out the 3 year warranty, which I will hold Maytag responsible for any more problems. They say if they come and fix it 4 times in a year they will declare it a lemon and replace. I figure this will work in my favor because the microwave lasts a year!

Maytag expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Maytag has been in the business of providing home appliances for 100 years. They sell washing machines, microwaves, heating and cooling units and much more for the home. They promote their products as the "hardest-working helper in the house."

• Large capacity: Maytag doesn't bother with small microwaves, instead you'll find a small range of high-volume models reaching up to 2.2 cubic feet in size.

• Color selection: Every Maytag microwave comes with a color selection. Choose between black, white or stainless steel.

• Charcoal odor filter: Keep cooking smells from overwhelming your kitchen and home with the odor filter.

• 10-year warranty: Coverage for parts and internal damage is included for 10 years.

• WideGlide tray: The tray holds dishes up to 10" x 15" that would never work inside a turntable-style microwave.

• Best for: Large families. The size and basic functionality of the ranges makes these ideal for families.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs