1.48/5
Based on 117 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

245 Magic Chef Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 11, 2015

I purchased the fridge in January 2015 in Home Depot, 7 month later in July it broke... for the second time! On the second day after purchase the fridge started making high pitch noise and Home Depot replaced it fairly quickly. However the worst thing is not the fact that this "refrigerator" is a very unreliable product, the worst thing is Magic Chef or how they also call themselves MC Appliance or MCA Corporation is the fact that they don't care about their warranty responsibilities at all!

However 7 month later I wasn't as lucky. The first time I scheduled the service call I waited on my only weekend from 9 to 5 at home and nobody showed up. When I called them the next day, they told me that my service call was cancelled but they don't know why!!! When I asked them to reschedule to the nearest available date, they told me that they have to talk to the maintenance people. Then I called back again and they told me that they don't have my information! Now you can imagine what kind of company this is.

Now about the cost. Yes it's cheap but once your fridge breaks you lose all your groceries because they rot. I lost $150 worth of recently purchased groceries. Then you would have to eat outside. Because of this "wonderful" company I am eating outside for already 3 weeks, spending about $20 a day on 2 meals. All together I spent on the food about $550. If I subtract the cost of groceries I would have purchased, the amount of money I WASTED because of this company totals to about $300! While the price of the fridge is $324. My advice stay away from Magic Chef products as far as possible, pay extra $300 and buy a high quality product. Otherwise there is a good chance you'd stay without a fridge, forced spending money on the outside food for weeks!

Original review: July 29, 2015

We purchase our Magic Chef NCD1311ST microwave oven in November of 2014. Within a few months, it was having heating issues - not heating in the middle. You had to place things off centered for them to heat. This week (July of 2015) the microwave shot sparks during heating. After we took the food out, a few minutes later we smelled an electrical fire and looked and it was smoking. This is day 3 now waiting on Magic Chef to tell me where to take it for "repair." From what I have been reading, I don't want it repaired, even though that is my only option. These appliances are going to hurt someone or burn a house down. This company has horrible customer service.

Original review: July 26, 2015

I purchased a Magic Chef 1.1 cu. ft. Digital Microwave, Stainless Steel, MCM1110ST from Walmart in Brunswick GA. in Feb. 2014. A couple of weeks ago I noticed that when you opened the door it would switch on and run until you closed the door. I attempted to find a number to call the company unsuccessfully. Then today July 26, 2015 I noticed that although the timer will come on, the microwave is not working. Although I know that nothing lasts forever, I did expect it to last at least 2 years (my last one lasted almost 13 years). The comments on the Walmart site were positive so I thought it would be a decent microwave. The next one I will have to research a little better because either the people hadn't had them very long are they were expecting a lot less from it than I was!

Original review: July 26, 2015

I've had the microwave for years, it works, but if I actually used the microwave to any real level of use I'm sure it'd be dead by now. Everything you heat takes twice as long as any other microwave, despite having the same rated levels. Popcorn, which I usually air pop, is 2x as long as the bag says, then the internal circuit breaker trips and you're left with a lot of unpopped kernels. The fan never vented from day 1. The lightbulbs broke underneath and there is no room to get anything in there to replace them. The plastic fan grill randomly broke off one day, the handle broke off too. It's just a piece of trash. If I did anything more than defrost frozen bread in it I'd have to replace it.

Original review: July 17, 2015

I had a warranty claim which was accepted by them on a microwave. They told me to take it to the warranty repair shop which I did. The microwave has been in there for 2 months now and it's still not fixed and the shop doesn't know when it will be fixed. The shop keeps telling me they are waiting for parts from Magic Chef. Shame on them for not fixing my microwave. Now I have to go buy another!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Magic Chef?

Original review: June 20, 2015

Magic Chef Microwave 1.1 - I only had it 4.5 months and it stop working completely, and I can't access their website or nothing. Not a good product.

Original review: May 14, 2015

Magic Chef 1.6 cu ft Model MCD1611ST - Bought microwave at Menards. Worked well for about 14 months then switch membrane went bad. Start button stopped working. Bought another switch membrane from a Magic Chef parts store, MC Appliance. I suspected that one was a problem due to scratches. Out of desperation I put it in anyway. That pad didn't last 2 weeks, same issue. I research on the internet and find out DAEWOO the membrane manufacturer has had massive problems with that very pad. If I would have only known. Neither Magic Chef nor the other company warrantied the microwave or the part. This thing is absolute junk and I highly recommend NOT to BUY ONE.

Original review: April 19, 2015

I purchased a Magic Chef Microwave (MCM990W/B) in 2013 and was satisfied with it. Until today April 18, 2015, out of the blue it started acting badly and sound like it was going to blow up. I unplugged it, cleaned out the inside which was not dirty, wiped it dry and waited to turn it back on for a good while. Checked manual for anything else that could have been wrong. Nothing found so I turned back on and tried again and it was even worse. I won't be able to get it fixed because warranty is over, now I already have to buy a new one after just two years. Last one I had was a cheap one that lasted for 10 yrs and still worked with no problems, just wanted something new. I was reading other reviews that others had same problem. I think something should be done about it before someone gets hurt. If an elderly person has that happen they may panic and run off before turning it off or unplugging it. I'm so disappointed because I don't have money to burn either trying to buy another one.

Original review: April 13, 2015

Microwave rusted inside within a month. It looks inside like I've had it a lifetime. I have only had it few years. It quits in middle whenever it pleases. It blew fuse and ruined my outlet. Rewired cord and outlet. Put in a new fuse only to put something in for 50 sec and quit again after 2 seconds.

Original review: March 15, 2015

Microwave Model MCM995KB - We had this for about several months and the other day it flared up like it was going to explode. This appliance isn't over a year old and it has flared up again yesterday. Would never buy another magic chef item again.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2015

Set to bake a potato and it caught fire in the microwave. The time to cook was over 9 minutes which I thought was high but since it was programmed with that I thought it would be OK. Lots of smoke when I opened the door. Inside full of smoke residue. The unit was purchased about 7 months ago. Very frightening experience!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2015

We purchased a Magic Chef chest freezer, Model HMCF7W2 on November 23, 2014 at a local Home Depot. Recently, we noticed that frost is building up on the rubber seal by the lid. We believe the seal is bad. We talked to Home Depot and the clerk suggested we contact you directly. He said the freezer should be under warranty. We haven't had it in use for more than 60+ days and would like to know what we can do to rectify this. Their return policy ends 2/21/2015.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2015

Emailed - two week delay with silly questions. Phoned - asked to send receipt which I did - they called to say they could not verify receipt. Go to store I purchased it from to get another receipt. Seriously my time is valuable. They obviously do not want to send a service rep out to repair a 6 month old 10 cu ft fridge and their solution is to give customer the royal runaround. So frustrated beyond human tolerance. They win - fridge remains unrepaired, I have better things to do than spend a month trying to get service.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2015

I bought a house with a Magic Chef oven MCO160UB. A couple of months ago, I saw smoke curling out from behind the control panel then the oven went dead. I thought 'Wow! That's weird'. So being an electrical engineer I opened it up to investigate. The power wire to the door switch was fried off. Let me repeat this more clearly: the copper stranding was even burnt apart - like splatter unwelded. So without questioning, I fixed it and feeling pretty good about this minor fix. Then 4 months later, the oven goes south and won't turn on. This could be the door switch? No, the control panel works. But press the start button and oven goes dark, dead.

So now I pursue the repair until I get to this site. What a fool I was for replacing the wire. I could have caused an unattended fire. The oven is now off the wall and in the trash. I will purchase from a different manufacturer. Let me state a revelation here: after reading the posts about manufacturer then replace them. Also, I believe these units are not fully tested for operation above ranges. The instructions [recommend] 30". My unit is 24". Not my doing. But still no posters relayed what type of range it sits above, as in what type of heating element. Or better yet is the range a different manufacturer? Stop and think about that.

Do you think Magic Chef tested the units above other manufacturer's ranges? I think not. Why? All ranges are the same! A stove is a stove. Really? But not all manufacturers are. So that being said, I believe we are victims of NFT (not fully tested). 'Nuff said.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2015

I had a Magic Chef Microwave oven that was purchased seven months ago that started to get very loud and you could see that it was then fan through the back vents. It had become off balance. Magic Chef service rep was very rude and told me that I had to drive an hour and five minutes to the nearest repair shop to drop it off to be fixed. It would be cheaper to buy a new one than to drive to Orlando twice.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2014

I purchased a Magic Chef Microwave less than two years ago. It started shutting off and then resetting. I can't cook anything for long than 3 or 4 minutes! The screen goes blank, then maybe 5 minutes later it beeps and the power comes back on! I've never had a microwave break down so quickly. We have one at work that I bought in 1984 and it's still going! The one we had at home was close to 20 years when it went. Both were Sears Kenmore brand. No more Magic Crap for me!

Original review: Dec. 24, 2014

Magic Chef microwave Model MCO165UW - Just had new unit installed today & would not work. Tried all troubleshoot, nothing worked. It is installed correctly & has power but will not turn on. Acts as if there is no power going to it. Would never purchase Magic Chef again. Just paid big bucks to have installed. Now out what I paid for unit & service man. I am disgusted.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2014

Model MCD1311ST microwave oven - Spotty heating performance. Repairman fixed it and after less than a year, the same problem is back.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2014

I purchased the Magic Chef MCSDRY1S Laundry Dyer in July 2014. By November 2014 the fan belt broke down. That's when the nightmare started. It is impossible to find a replacement part anywhere (I spent days going to stores and searching online). I ended up paying $37 for this belt (which is not worth more than $5) on their website and the order was cancelled because they do not have it. I called customer service and they told me to wait and they will call me back when they have it. They cannot tell me for sure if and when they will have it so they just told me to wait. When I asked for an explanation why they do not have replacement parts for their new products the representative hang up on me. Now my options are limited: wait for a replacement part that I don't know when or if it will ever get here, buy the same product again so at least now I will have the replacement parts (honestly I don't want to spend another penny with this company) or buy a different brand . Any of these last two options will cost me another $300-$400. Thank you Magic Chef for a horrible shopping experience.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2014

Magic Chef microwave MCD1611ST - Just bought today. On first use (trying to heat cup of water) the microwave sparked and arced. The kitchen now has a burnt wire smell and I am grateful my house has not burnt down and I have not been electrocuted. Do not buy this. A dangerous product. Should be recalled before someone gets hurt.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2014

We bought the Magic Chef microwave from Home Depot just over a year ago. We were told by the salesman it was top of the line product. During the first few months of use it would on occasion run for the set amount of time but would not heat food at all. When asking Home Depot about it they said to adjust the power setting, this of course resolved nothing. Then to add insult to injury we were told to contact Magic Chef as it was their problem not Home Depot's. As things turn out that problem of not heating seemed relatively small now that my whole Magic Chef microwave has completely stopped working altogether. I am very disappointed with this product, the service I received from Home Depot and the fact that I cannot receive any help, call back or reimbursement from the Magic Chef company. I will never buy another product that is under the brand Magic Chef again and will if asked be advising other consumers to be wary of the products offered by them.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2014

I have had terrible experiences with the microwaves from Home Depot. Last one lasted 4 years and this one just shy of 3 yrs. No one within 125 to fix it. Unfortunately my brother asked what we had and he bought one that quit over one year. We will never buy Magic Chef again, worst product ever. I am buying a Kenmore.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2014

I purchased a Magic Chef microwave less than 2 years ago from Home Depot against my better judgment but the sales rep insisted it was a very good unit. After 8 months of use the unit began to make a grinding noise while running. Now the unit just shuts down on its own while in use without warning. After approx. 3-4 minutes the unit beeps as if to reset itself and is operational. Other complaints for the same issue has been posted online regarding the same model number. Magic Chef needs to address this issue with a recall.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2014

Purchased a Magic Chef Chest Freezer Model HMCF7W1 on sale at Home Depot on March 30, 2014. On Tuesday evening of this week I noticed the freezer was not working properly. Food items stored in the freezer were beginning to defrost. Contacted Magic Chef because the appliance was still under warranty. Arrangements were made for a repair person from a local company to come to my home today between 10:00 a.m. and 11:00 p.m. The technician arrived on time and after looking at the freezer informed me it could not be repaired. He suspected that a soldered connection inside the case had broken allowing all the refrigerant gas to leak out.

The technician contacted Magic Chef and informed the company the freezer was not repairable. Shortly thereafter, I received an email from Magic Chef notifying me that a refund check would be sent to me. I contacted Magic Chef and informed them although I had just dumped nearly $200.00 worth of food I didn't expect to be reimbursed. I did not think it was fair however for me to have to drive nearly 20 miles to the recycling center and pay $30.00 to get rid of an appliance that failed after only 7 months. In addition, the refunded amount won't even cover the cost for a replacement freezer because the Magic Chef was purchased on sale.

I'm out of $200 in food plus the cost of dumping the freezer and the difference between what I'll have to pay for a new one and what I paid for the Magic Chef freezer. I will NEVER PURCHASE any products made by Magic Chef again. I will also notify family, friends and FB friends and urge them to not buy any appliances made by this company.

Original review: July 25, 2014

Just received my new microwave (by UPS from Penney's). I immediately gave my old one to my daughter. This was a bright new red one. Plugged it up and set the clock. Clock works fine. Unfortunately it doesn't heat, the light doesn't come on, but the timer works. It's a pretty expensive timer. Called Magic Chef and they told me they would let me know where I could take it to get it fixed. I told her I wasn't taking it anywhere except Penney's to get my money back. What a piece of junk!

Original review: July 14, 2014

The fan won't turn off. Unplugged it for 2 days and it still came on when I plugged it in again. Help.

Original review: June 10, 2014

We purchased a Vissani Model # HVBC31ST 17 in. Wide 90 cans Beverage Cooler from Home Depot and within 6 months the product stopped working. Finally was able to get a response from Magic Chef to take the unit to a local repair shop. Got it fixed and within 3 months compressor went out. Cost to repair the compressor is more than the cost of the unit. It is not a reliable product and I would recommend not buying this product. Not worth the money or the hassle.

Original review: May 28, 2014

Magic Chef MCD1311ST - I bought this microwave at Walmart less than two years ago. Just a few weeks later it started shutting off in the middle of heating food. It seems to overheat easily and it's not due to the placement of it as I have it on a microwave cart and it has nothing around it, it stands alone. About 6 months after having it the light went out and now it won't heat at all. I had a Sharp Carousel prior to this piece of junk and it lasted me 8 years. The only reason I got rid of it was because the kids broke the ejector button to open the door. Other than that it still had plenty of life. I will never buy another Magic Chef product again, and I will make sure no one I know does either. It is a complete waste of money and a terrible inconvenience! I am very disappointed with this product!

Original review: May 7, 2014

My Magic Chef microwave is doing something that has never happened with other brands. It feels too warm outside the cabinet in the first place. The other thing it does is periodically stop heating. I thought it might be the vessel containing the food or a setting malfunction. I read the manual and checked the circuit breaker as suggested. Not happy to see so many complaints, will probably work at returning it.

Original review: April 28, 2014

Last week I was in another room when I heard the microwave beep. I went to the kitchen to discover it was running. I figured I had accidentally set some kind of timer accidentally so I cancelled the action. Later that evening, I heard it beep several times again and discovered it was running again. THIS time I left the door open so it wouldn't start again. I explained this to several people who thought I was crazy so when I had a friend look at it, he said it Couldn't happen and he closed the door. The next morning when I went to use it the only thing it did was display Lock every time I tried to turn anything on. I googled the code and found that the code could be reset but ALSO that several people had reported fires due to the same problem (different model but same brand). I feel fortunate that I did not have a fire but am wondering if there is any recourse for owners of this defective equipment.

Magic Chef Company Information