1.39/5
  • 1 star
Based on 105 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Aug. 30, 2017

235 Magic Chef Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Feb. 22, 2015

Set to bake a potato and it caught fire in the microwave. The time to cook was over 9 minutes which I thought was high but since it was programmed with that I thought it would be OK. Lots of smoke when I opened the door. Inside full of smoke residue. The unit was purchased about 7 months ago. Very frightening experience!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2015

We purchased a Magic Chef chest freezer, Model HMCF7W2 on November 23, 2014 at a local Home Depot. Recently, we noticed that frost is building up on the rubber seal by the lid. We believe the seal is bad. We talked to Home Depot and the clerk suggested we contact you directly. He said the freezer should be under warranty. We haven't had it in use for more than 60+ days and would like to know what we can do to rectify this. Their return policy ends 2/21/2015.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2015

Emailed - two week delay with silly questions. Phoned - asked to send receipt which I did - they called to say they could not verify receipt. Go to store I purchased it from to get another receipt. Seriously my time is valuable. They obviously do not want to send a service rep out to repair a 6 month old 10 cu ft fridge and their solution is to give customer the royal runaround. So frustrated beyond human tolerance. They win - fridge remains unrepaired, I have better things to do than spend a month trying to get service.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2015

I bought a house with a Magic Chef oven MCO160UB. A couple of months ago, I saw smoke curling out from behind the control panel then the oven went dead. I thought 'Wow! That's weird'. So being an electrical engineer I opened it up to investigate. The power wire to the door switch was fried off. Let me repeat this more clearly: the copper stranding was even burnt apart - like splatter unwelded. So without questioning, I fixed it and feeling pretty good about this minor fix. Then 4 months later, the oven goes south and won't turn on. This could be the door switch? No, the control panel works. But press the start button and oven goes dark, dead.

So now I pursue the repair until I get to this site. What a fool I was for replacing the wire. I could have caused an unattended fire. The oven is now off the wall and in the trash. I will purchase from a different manufacturer. Let me state a revelation here: after reading the posts about manufacturer then replace them. Also, I believe these units are not fully tested for operation above ranges. The instructions [recommend] 30". My unit is 24". Not my doing. But still no posters relayed what type of range it sits above, as in what type of heating element. Or better yet is the range a different manufacturer? Stop and think about that.

Do you think Magic Chef tested the units above other manufacturer's ranges? I think not. Why? All ranges are the same! A stove is a stove. Really? But not all manufacturers are. So that being said, I believe we are victims of NFT (not fully tested). 'Nuff said.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2015

I had a Magic Chef Microwave oven that was purchased seven months ago that started to get very loud and you could see that it was then fan through the back vents. It had become off balance. Magic Chef service rep was very rude and told me that I had to drive an hour and five minutes to the nearest repair shop to drop it off to be fixed. It would be cheaper to buy a new one than to drive to Orlando twice.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Magic Chef?

Original review: Dec. 25, 2014

I purchased a Magic Chef Microwave less than two years ago. It started shutting off and then resetting. I can't cook anything for long than 3 or 4 minutes! The screen goes blank, then maybe 5 minutes later it beeps and the power comes back on! I've never had a microwave break down so quickly. We have one at work that I bought in 1984 and it's still going! The one we had at home was close to 20 years when it went. Both were Sears Kenmore brand. No more Magic Crap for me!

Original review: Dec. 24, 2014

Magic Chef microwave Model MCO165UW - Just had new unit installed today & would not work. Tried all troubleshoot, nothing worked. It is installed correctly & has power but will not turn on. Acts as if there is no power going to it. Would never purchase Magic Chef again. Just paid big bucks to have installed. Now out what I paid for unit & service man. I am disgusted.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2014

Model MCD1311ST microwave oven - Spotty heating performance. Repairman fixed it and after less than a year, the same problem is back.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2014

I purchased the Magic Chef MCSDRY1S Laundry Dyer in July 2014. By November 2014 the fan belt broke down. That's when the nightmare started. It is impossible to find a replacement part anywhere (I spent days going to stores and searching online). I ended up paying $37 for this belt (which is not worth more than $5) on their website and the order was cancelled because they do not have it. I called customer service and they told me to wait and they will call me back when they have it. They cannot tell me for sure if and when they will have it so they just told me to wait. When I asked for an explanation why they do not have replacement parts for their new products the representative hang up on me. Now my options are limited: wait for a replacement part that I don't know when or if it will ever get here, buy the same product again so at least now I will have the replacement parts (honestly I don't want to spend another penny with this company) or buy a different brand . Any of these last two options will cost me another $300-$400. Thank you Magic Chef for a horrible shopping experience.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2014

Magic Chef microwave MCD1611ST - Just bought today. On first use (trying to heat cup of water) the microwave sparked and arced. The kitchen now has a burnt wire smell and I am grateful my house has not burnt down and I have not been electrocuted. Do not buy this. A dangerous product. Should be recalled before someone gets hurt.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2014

We bought the Magic Chef microwave from Home Depot just over a year ago. We were told by the salesman it was top of the line product. During the first few months of use it would on occasion run for the set amount of time but would not heat food at all. When asking Home Depot about it they said to adjust the power setting, this of course resolved nothing. Then to add insult to injury we were told to contact Magic Chef as it was their problem not Home Depot's. As things turn out that problem of not heating seemed relatively small now that my whole Magic Chef microwave has completely stopped working altogether. I am very disappointed with this product, the service I received from Home Depot and the fact that I cannot receive any help, call back or reimbursement from the Magic Chef company. I will never buy another product that is under the brand Magic Chef again and will if asked be advising other consumers to be wary of the products offered by them.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2014

I have had terrible experiences with the microwaves from Home Depot. Last one lasted 4 years and this one just shy of 3 yrs. No one within 125 to fix it. Unfortunately my brother asked what we had and he bought one that quit over one year. We will never buy Magic Chef again, worst product ever. I am buying a Kenmore.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2014

I purchased a Magic Chef microwave less than 2 years ago from Home Depot against my better judgment but the sales rep insisted it was a very good unit. After 8 months of use the unit began to make a grinding noise while running. Now the unit just shuts down on its own while in use without warning. After approx. 3-4 minutes the unit beeps as if to reset itself and is operational. Other complaints for the same issue has been posted online regarding the same model number. Magic Chef needs to address this issue with a recall.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2014

Purchased a Magic Chef Chest Freezer Model HMCF7W1 on sale at Home Depot on March 30, 2014. On Tuesday evening of this week I noticed the freezer was not working properly. Food items stored in the freezer were beginning to defrost. Contacted Magic Chef because the appliance was still under warranty. Arrangements were made for a repair person from a local company to come to my home today between 10:00 a.m. and 11:00 p.m. The technician arrived on time and after looking at the freezer informed me it could not be repaired. He suspected that a soldered connection inside the case had broken allowing all the refrigerant gas to leak out.

The technician contacted Magic Chef and informed the company the freezer was not repairable. Shortly thereafter, I received an email from Magic Chef notifying me that a refund check would be sent to me. I contacted Magic Chef and informed them although I had just dumped nearly $200.00 worth of food I didn't expect to be reimbursed. I did not think it was fair however for me to have to drive nearly 20 miles to the recycling center and pay $30.00 to get rid of an appliance that failed after only 7 months. In addition, the refunded amount won't even cover the cost for a replacement freezer because the Magic Chef was purchased on sale.

I'm out of $200 in food plus the cost of dumping the freezer and the difference between what I'll have to pay for a new one and what I paid for the Magic Chef freezer. I will NEVER PURCHASE any products made by Magic Chef again. I will also notify family, friends and FB friends and urge them to not buy any appliances made by this company.

Original review: July 25, 2014

Just received my new microwave (by UPS from Penney's). I immediately gave my old one to my daughter. This was a bright new red one. Plugged it up and set the clock. Clock works fine. Unfortunately it doesn't heat, the light doesn't come on, but the timer works. It's a pretty expensive timer. Called Magic Chef and they told me they would let me know where I could take it to get it fixed. I told her I wasn't taking it anywhere except Penney's to get my money back. What a piece of junk!

Original review: July 14, 2014

The fan won't turn off. Unplugged it for 2 days and it still came on when I plugged it in again. Help.

Original review: June 10, 2014

We purchased a Vissani Model # HVBC31ST 17 in. Wide 90 cans Beverage Cooler from Home Depot and within 6 months the product stopped working. Finally was able to get a response from Magic Chef to take the unit to a local repair shop. Got it fixed and within 3 months compressor went out. Cost to repair the compressor is more than the cost of the unit. It is not a reliable product and I would recommend not buying this product. Not worth the money or the hassle.

Original review: May 28, 2014

Magic Chef MCD1311ST - I bought this microwave at Walmart less than two years ago. Just a few weeks later it started shutting off in the middle of heating food. It seems to overheat easily and it's not due to the placement of it as I have it on a microwave cart and it has nothing around it, it stands alone. About 6 months after having it the light went out and now it won't heat at all. I had a Sharp Carousel prior to this piece of junk and it lasted me 8 years. The only reason I got rid of it was because the kids broke the ejector button to open the door. Other than that it still had plenty of life. I will never buy another Magic Chef product again, and I will make sure no one I know does either. It is a complete waste of money and a terrible inconvenience! I am very disappointed with this product!

Original review: May 7, 2014

My Magic Chef microwave is doing something that has never happened with other brands. It feels too warm outside the cabinet in the first place. The other thing it does is periodically stop heating. I thought it might be the vessel containing the food or a setting malfunction. I read the manual and checked the circuit breaker as suggested. Not happy to see so many complaints, will probably work at returning it.

Original review: April 28, 2014

Last week I was in another room when I heard the microwave beep. I went to the kitchen to discover it was running. I figured I had accidentally set some kind of timer accidentally so I cancelled the action. Later that evening, I heard it beep several times again and discovered it was running again. THIS time I left the door open so it wouldn't start again. I explained this to several people who thought I was crazy so when I had a friend look at it, he said it Couldn't happen and he closed the door. The next morning when I went to use it the only thing it did was display Lock every time I tried to turn anything on. I googled the code and found that the code could be reset but ALSO that several people had reported fires due to the same problem (different model but same brand). I feel fortunate that I did not have a fire but am wondering if there is any recourse for owners of this defective equipment.

Original review: April 25, 2014

Our Magic Chef turned on & began running by itself! I was told to unplug it to reset the motherboard for several hours then plug it back in. The oven started act possessed and turn on at its own will & run again! Once again I became alarmed, went to unplug it to find the thing dead! Now I've a microwave that's less than 2 yrs old & needs a funeral! The model # is MC016UB & the serial # is DJ07803343. Has anyone heard of a recall on it? This thing could have burnt my house down!!!!!

Original review: April 10, 2014

Bought new ice maker from Home Depot but didn't install for 8 months. Found that it didn't work. Was told by Home Depot to go to Magic Chef to resolve. Called; said they would send out Tech and the hours are 8 to 5 so have to take day off from work. Tech comes out, knows nothing about the model. Said was working since it produced 1/2 dozen cubes and left . Told him it wasn't working. Called back Magic Chef; said they would send another Tech 3 days later. Again have to take Day off from work so I ask to speak to Manager. They said no one to speak with. I asked to send a new machine and they declined. Called Home Depot. Again they said, "Can't help you."

So second tech comes out, can't figure it out and complains that he can't get help from Magic Chef tech group because they don't answer their phones so he leaves. Call Magic Chef again; asked for manager or new machine. They declined again. Now they want to send a part (Based on what) to see if that works so third day off in 3 weeks and the part doesn't work. Told me that if the lid is open, it won't work or drain may be too long (really). Called again and asked for a supervisor; sent to Voice mail and now they won't even call me back all. Stay tuned for the next chapter with still no resolution. The real Shame here is on Home Depot.

Original review: March 31, 2014

Only had a microwave under a year and the center plate motor squeaks as it turns. Thanks, Magic Chef.

Original review: March 5, 2014

My microwave blew up this afternoon. This is the second Magic Chef we accidentally bought! It didn't say Magic Chef on the microwave model at Home Depot (after our first Magic Chef blew up) so we didn't realize we were buying another Magic Chef. I'm pretty sure this one has the same problem but I'm not going to pay a repairman $90.00 this time - the magnetron. The first one we had three years, this one not even two. The microwave should be recalled and they should not be allowed to make them anymore!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2014

Purchased Magic Chef freezer HMCF7W from Home Depot 11/12... bought extended warranty.... It died 02/14 with 90 lbs of venison in it over the weekend.... Unable to save it... Called HD, gave me a gift card for full price of replacement freezer... won't buy another.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2014

My husband Jack ** and I bought a Magic Chef 10 cubic foot refrigerator a little over a year ago for an apartment unit we own (see invoice enc.). It died just after the one year warranty expired. A certified refrigerator repairman told us that the compressor was dead and even though the compressor was guaranteed for 5 year and would be provided free by your company it would cost at least $350 to repair it. Needless to say, given the original purchase price, this was definitely not worth it. The repairman also told us he gets nothing but complaints for the Magic Chef 10 cu. ft. units and he has seen dozens that have stopped working in similar circumstances.

We are shocked by the shoddiness of this product. We have known the Magic Chef name for decades. We have known the Maytag name even longer. And we find it understandable that Whirlpool ditched the Magic Chef line in Canada after it had purchased Maytag. Usually I would demand you replace the fridge. But given what a piece of crap it has turned out to be, we don't want another one and the least you can do is refund our money.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2014

Bought this microwave about a year ago and while using it the thing would shut down for no reason. The lights in my house would go dim and then brighten back up. After I unplugged the microwave the problem stopped. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM MAGIC CHEF!!!!!!!! VERY DANGEROUS.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2014

Turntable and light stopped after one year...of course too late for warranty..

Original review: Jan. 13, 2014

Microwave is clearly defective, got electrocuted while using it. A bolt of lightning from the inside right side of unit came through the front door and burned me, stopped pop's pacemaker. We need an attorney since Magic Chef just hangs up on the complaint. Matter of time this kills someone.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2013

I have had this microwave (MCO165UB) for less than a year and the plate no longer turns. I looked up available parts and the turntable motor is no longer available. I will never buy any of their products again. They do not provide support.

Magic Chef Company Information