1.21/5

368 Lennox Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I wanted to take the time to write a good review since most people only bother to write reviews when they have an problem. After all when you buy a new product you expect it to work so why would you bother to write a review for that! Well I decided to write this because as most of you are probably doing now, you’re contemplating buying a Lennox but are reading reviews first, and like you I found mostly negative things. I’m not sure it made me feel much better but all the brands I researched had mostly bad reviews. So here’s my experience... I installed a fully modulating furnace (SLP98) and A/C (XC20) along with the WiFi stat and let me tell you it’s awesome! Quietest and most efficient units I’ve ever had. The one thing I also kept reading for Lennox is that parts are hard to get.

I feel like all of those reviews came from California, maybe they are hard to get in California? I’m from Iowa and maybe it’s because Lennox is manufactured in Marshalltown, IA, but that does not seem to be the case here. I haven’t had many problems but the few times I had to have a small part replaced on my older unit the tech showed up with the part and fixed the unit same day. But as I’ll discuss next that probably has more to do with the installation company than the manufacturer. From reading most of these reviews and as I’ve read before, most of the problems sound like an installation issue, but unfortunately Lennox takes the hit for poor service and installation by the contractor.

That being said I would focus more on the contractor's reviews than these Lennox product reviews. I’ve had Lennox products for 40 years going back to the Pulse furnace and they’ve been great! But I’ve also had Lozier, a reputable company in my area, who’s been in business for over 100 years always do my installations. Just wanted to take a minute to give a positive review for a product that is expected to work and thank my contractor for doing a top notch job with a top of the line product. From a life long satisfied customer. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

System condensates heavily and has growing discoloration on the unit installed in the attic. Dealer informed Lennox customer is attempting to run the system at 72 degrees when outside temperature is 100 thus resulting in the heavy condensate. Not sure what dealer is referring to. It is documented to outside temperature 84, thermostat set to 72 as requested by the dealer. Mold detected by independent audit.

Get expert buying tips about Air Conditioners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

Purchased this unit in October 2010. First year 2 fan motors and 2 service calls because of it shutting down and locking out. Second year fan motor again and 3 service calls to get unit to cool in the summer and heat in winter. Third year summer added Freon. Fourth year numerous service calls because of no cooling or heating in winter. Fifth year diagnosed with all factory welds leaking and needed to be resoldered. Sixth year capacitor bad and replaced along with service calls during the year. Seventh year Ambient and coil sensors replaced. October 2018 and guess what. Came home from vacation and unit locked out and no A/C nor heat from unit. Repairs costs have totaled over $3,000 since it was installed. Have talked to some HVAC installers that use to install Lennox and they told me because of no support and poor quality of Lennox they no longer use them. JUNK. JUNK. JUNK.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I bought 2 Lennox air conditioners for my home in 2012, less than 5 years later the blower motor went out on one unit, the motor was covered under warranty but, I still had to pay almost $400.00 in labor. A year later the 2nd blower motor went out and it is not covered under warranty and is going to cost, parts and labor over $800.00 to repair. I bought Lennox because it was suppose to be top of the line in a/c's. Strand Brothers Service Experts in Austin TX now tell me that I am lucky something has not broken sooner, all systems irregardless of brand are not made to last. They should have told me that in the first place, I would have gone with a less expensive brand, since I was told I was going to have problems anyway regardless of the brand. I am very disappointed in Lennox and I will tell everyone I know, not to buy this product. It does not fare well over less expensive brands. Waste of hard earned money. DO NOT BUY A LENNOX PRODUCT!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

(April 2014) New home with Lennox furnace and A/C. Had several problems in the first 3 years with furnace. Now just over 4 years the A/C stopped working. Tech said a leak and would cost around $1500 to fix. Well I've had it with Lennox. I'm lucky enough to be able to have a new A/C installed. But it will NOT be a Lennox.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lennox?

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

Worst company and product. My unit is only 5 year old and it's Condenser Coil has gone twice. They says part is covered under warranty but what about labor. My installation company charges $600 per installation and I have done twice for same part. If you are thinking about new unit, stay AWAY from Lennox brand.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Built my home in 2016. 2018 am having to replace the defective condensing coil. Costing 1200.00 to repair a 2 year old coil. Would never recommend Lennox. I think Lennox is dishonest and a very cheap disappointing company. Wish I had never bought from them.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Our Lennox air conditioner was installed on March 18, 2016. It stopped blowing air hot or cold on September 16, 2018. Serviceman determined the coil had rusted through, Freon had leaked out. The part is under warranty but we had to pay for labor at the cost 1050.00 plus 85.00 for initial service call. We also have a CARRIER for the other part of the house. The CARRIER was installed in 2009 and have not had any problems with it. The service tech for the CARRIER is the one who told me about the recall on the LENNOX coil. Really? No notice from Lennox that these coils could still be out here being installed in 2016? Nothing said to us from the installer? Wow...

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Despite being on the wrong side of a Class Action Lawsuit Lennox has not learned their lesson. The company continues to produce A coils that are not made totally of aluminum. I bought my unit in 2016 therefore do not qualify for the 2015 Class Action lawsuit. I have a leak in my A coil (Air Handler) in what suppose to be a high end unit. The coil will need replacing with a full aluminum coil. All costs will not be included in the warranty claim. The freon on initial trouble call to include blue dye to isolate the problem will be my responsibility.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

We have been in our home for only 10 months and are already experiencing ac problems. At beginning of cooling season, ac was not cooling. Tech said ac not fully charged. Tech charged unit. Now unit not cooling again, continually running. Electric bill outrageous. Tech visited today. Unit needed charge again. He will return in 1 week to check for coil leak. This in a unit only 10 months old.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

2 years in a row we had the evaporator coils break and leaking Freon. Tried to contact customer affairs, and district manager never reached out after customer affairs recognized the issue. Called a number of times just to be told that no progress had been made. Very poor product and poor execution of service by the district manager overlooking cases in FL.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Both of my HVAC System's evaporator coils are leaking Freon after about 2 and half years. Have performed Dye Testing to confirm the same. When I call up customer service, they are initially vague and keep transferring me from one department to another. At last when I get to speak to consumer affairs department, they say only parts which are cheap can only be replaced but not the Freon and labor which is more expensive. It is better to stay away from low quality products which cause very expensive repairs.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Whatever you do stay away from these people! They make a lot of promises, i.e. handling paperwork for tax credit, hospital quality air, energy saver, none of these were true. I spent $20,000, top of the line I am told, a little over a year and the thermostat or rather the computer that lets the thermostat talk to the system went out. The service man said it was 100% due to faulty installation. Do I get a discount? No I have to pay $500 to replace the modem that was improperly installed by the inexperienced techs they sent to do the install. Buyer beware, I wish I had got a Trane!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

I clicked on the link to ask for an estimate then asked in my request. THEN I asked when he was on the phone. The guy literally hung up on me because he said I "never asked for an estimate" and "he couldn't help me." I have never been so insulted. I just need my AC replaced. I know what I need. He was upset that I used an independent contractor to determine that I needed a new AC. He REFUSED to give me ANY concrete information on AC's, schedule any appointment, or give any estimate. Then he just hung up on me. He also said that an AC couldn't maintain 73 degrees, which I don't believe. I am a new homeowner, young, and doing this on my own. I am insulted, back to the beginning, and just frustrated. This shouldn't be so difficult.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

JK Mechanical technician confirmed that leak in coil (evap coil) and JK Mechanical confirmed that it's under warranty but they are asking me $1500+ for diagnose issue and replacing part... I am really very disappoint with the quality of Lennox product since it failed within 3 yrs... It didn't live at least 5 yrs... Lennox will keep on sending me parts but major question who is going to pay JK Mechanical every time $1000s of dollars. Lennox should take responsibility since it's a knows issue (leaking coil) and still they are selling such faulty product in market, you cannot just clean your hands by sending coil replacement but you should send your tech support to fix the issue.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I live in a neighborhood of some 500+ homes. Many homes have had to replace their evaporator coils in their Lennox AC systems due to the coils rusting and then leaking the refrigerant. I thought I was lucky... until last week. My first floor unit stopped cooling. Diagnosis is a defective evaporator coil after less than five years of use (some neighbors got two out of theirs). This repair will cost me $1400 and I have two other systems in my home. The class action lawsuit provides no compensation as Lennox is denying all claims. As well, the lawsuit states an owner has to have replaced TWO coils in the same system in order to be eligible for a $550 reimbursement for labor and refrigerant and also have the choice between a coated copper tube or aluminum coil.

Thank, Lennox. You'll sell me two defective copper coils before I'm eligible for a $550 reimbursement and choice between two coils that should have come with the unit initially. The only people getting rich here are Lennox and the lawyers for the lawsuit. Buyer beware. Buy something other than a Lennox for your home. Once my next coil goes in any of my three systems, I'm putting in a Carrier or Trane.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

We live in Palm Beach County, Florida. We have two Lennox XC-21 systems. We removed a SEER16 system in the attic, and added ONE XC-21. We added an additional XC-21 system for our new addition. One unit was in the attic, and one unit was in the house. Today, both are in the house. Our home is 3600 ft^2 under air conditioning.

We have paid a total of $33,000-34,000 to date for install of the new systems. We did not want the variable speed units. We chose the two-speed unit (XC-21). The first XC-21 system ("System A") was placed in the attic to replace the old system. This was January 2016. Here are the problems we experienced: The system was not insulated like the old unit, and it sweat constantly. It sweat all over. The water drenched the circuit boards, and rusted out a breaker in the attic within 15 months of install. The unit sweat so bad that there was a constant stream of water dripping out the secondary (not primary) drain. This drain was in the ceiling next to our front door. The thermostat had to be replaced.

System A died about three times in three years due to random issues related to the constant sweating. Symptoms of a died system: The thermostat would go blank, sometimes just spontaneously go back on. Then, the thermostat would completely died. Black screen. Dead. We made the decision to move this unit in March 2018 from the attic to inside the house, into a large storage closet. It has been six months. We had to do this.

Current problem: The outside meter of temp and humidity is broken, and the thermostat thinks that is 66 F outside (it's 91 F). The system will not power on. System B is inside the house. Like System A, the thermostat is black. I call the company that installed and of course is all kinds of things, but not Lennox.

Lennox is poorly insulated and unpredictable. The electronics are too complicated for most technicians, even in well-funded companies. Make sure that your a/c calculations are done properly!!! There is no room for error on these poor systems. I would recommend researching Doosan or another system looking to break into the market. I have heard equally bad things about Trane and Carrier.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

Bought our home in 2016. Home was built in 2013 with a 2013 Lennox AC unit. Have had nothing but issues. The coil created a leak and now the capacitor is broken. Stay far away from this brand. Will never own a Lennox again in my life.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

We bought our unit in July 2011. We had a service call today and learned the coils are rusted out. They are made of copper and copper rusts with the new freon. It will costs us over $1900 to replace the coils. Lennox is now making the coils from aluminum. But not for our unit. We will pay all of this money and get copper again. I would not recommend Lennox. They should be forced to give us a reduction on the cost of the replacement and they should have to design it in aluminum. The repairman told me the unit was clean and everything else was good. The coils look like they are on a 20 or 30 year old machine.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

We purchased a Lennox XC21-060; CBX32MV-060, the more expensive of our purchase options. We have had nothing but problems with it. MANY repairs, including a $1200 communication board (not covered by warranty). One weekend, they had to come on Saturday and fixed one problem and then come back again on Sunday for a second problem. One problem they have not been able to solve is the AC running, but not cooling. I have to shut down the entire system and restart it. That's a problem if I am not home as it will just continue to run if I am not home. And the technicians can find no reason for it to happen. Now, we have a problem with one of our zones where the AC kicks on for five minutes, off for five... continuously... and raising our electric bill. The technicians again say there is nothing wrong with system. I've even tried contacting Lennox and they just refer me to the service company. I would never, never buy Lennox again.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Very disappointed with Lennox. Our air conditioner in our home that is just under 3 years old was not cooling correctly. We found out it needs a new evaporator coil, due to it leaking Freon. We just spent $700 to diagnose the problem, and that doesn’t include the labor to replace it. After doing research we discovered that this is a major issue that many people are having. There was even a class action suit that has since expired. However the payout was ridiculous and didn’t begin to cover damages. Lennox was basically left unscathed. If you put out a product that causes people to spend hundreds of dollars in labor to repair, you should be held liable, and make it right. What’s to keep companies from producing a JUNK product if they aren’t held accountable. I’m disgusted by this company, and will never buy their product again.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

In February 2017 my husband and I closed on our new construction Lennar home which included a Lennox Air Conditioning unit, M/N CBX27UH-036-230-6-03 S/N ***. In January 2018 we placed a call to Mills Air due to our AC not blowing cold air. Mills Air came out and stated that there was some settings in the thermostat that had changed, it was corrected and the AC worked. In July, 2018 it was apparent that the home was not cooling as quickly as it should. The AC was set at 75 but the thermostat was reading 79 and didn't change for hours. We were outside of our 1 year warranty so we contacted Western Air to come out and look at the unit. The HVAC tech mentioned that there was not a gasket on the outside unit, and that there was a Freon leak, but he thought it was probably because the gasket was missing.

He filled 1.5 pounds of Freon into the unit and installed the missing gasket. Within 2 weeks the AC appeared to be slow to cool again. On July 28th Western Air came out and did a leak test. A leak was not able to be found, but the tech had to replace 1 pound of Freon. Dye was added to the system to do a leak detection test. On August 10 the AC tech from Western Air came back out and found the leak in the evaporator coils in the air handler. The reason I am writing this is because in 2015 Lennox was under a class action lawsuit, Thomas v Lennox, in regards to the same situation. From my understanding, Lennox used mixed metals in their coils which caused them to rust and leak.

According to www.evaporatorcoillawsuit.com the nature of the lawsuit was "A Settlement has been reached with Lennox Industries Inc. ("Lennox") in a class action lawsuit about whether it manufactured and sold defective evaporator coils. An evaporator coil is a part of an air conditioning system or heat pump system in the cooling mode. Lennox denies all of the claims in the lawsuit, but has agreed to the Settlement to avoid the cost and risk of further litigation."

We feel that since we have only lived in our home for less than 16 months at the time the leak was documented, that it appears that Lennox is still selling/installing units with this same issue. Our Evaporator coils were copper, as were the coils in the lawsuit. When I spoke to Lennox's Consumer Affairs Department on 8/15/2018, I asked if they still had the copper coils being produced and the gentleman I spoke to said that there are probably still some in circulation. I do not know why a company would still manufacture and provide these units to homeowners when there was such a large known issue. There are at least 2 other homes in my brand new neighborhood that have had leaks in their units already. As a new homeowner, you do not expect to have to replace the Evaporator coils on your AC within the first 16 months, just 4 months outside of the 12 month labor warranty.

I am asking that Lennox covers the cost of the labor to diagnose and replaced the coils. The original date of service was on July 12, 2018 and that visit cost a total of $119.70. On July 28, 2018 the labor and dye test cost was $237.81. We have not received the invoice for the review of the dye test on 8/10/2018 and we were quoted $527.03 for the coil replacement (minus any Freon refill) on 8/15/2018. $884.54 is what we are out of pocket for something that should not have occurred so quickly. We feel that Lennox should take responsibility of still allowing faulty evaporator coils to be installed.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

On March 23, 2017, I purchased two Lennox Air Conditioners an Xc16S060-230-05 and Xc16S048-239-04 for my home that cost $18,360. I have had trouble with these units and the installer has been to my house 5 times since the installation. One unit cycled on and off the other lost Freon and neither filter door works properly. You have to duct tape them closed. More importantly the units still do not cool my home properly. I am at the end of my rope. Buyer Beware.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

Had a major part go bad on the air conditioner and the folks at Lennox stood by their product and went above and beyond what was required to make sure my family and I were satisfied customers. I'd also like to thank Terry at Economy Heating and Air in Sacramento for making the whole conversation with Lennox go smoothly with all the right info and professional follow-up replacing the part.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I bought a Lennox A/C System because the Heating and Cooling Company said that they are one of the best. After 4 years the coil was leaking coolant and the coil had to be replaced. The coil itself was covered under warranty but not the very expensive labor change. The technician that replaced the coil said he has been replacing quite a few of them and replacing them with upgraded coated coils. There is obviously a problem with the coils if they are replacing them after 4 years with upgraded ones. Also, when the air handler was opened up, the insulation above the fan motor became loose and was lying on top of the fan motor and covered the intake. If this company truly stands by their products, they should recall them or at least cover the labor.

When I called their Consumer Affairs Department, All they did was told me they were sorry and read me the part of the warranty that says they don't pay labor after 1-year. My next store neighbor bought a cheaper system around the same time I bought my Lennox and it has outlasted mine and he paid thousands less. Save your money, don't buy a Lennox!

Original review: July 26, 2018

I purchased my home brand new in September 2014. My home air conditioner is a Lennox. In August 2017, I had to replace a leaking evaporator coil. It is now July 2018, and I am again having to replace a leaking evaporator coil. This will be the third evaporator coil in less than 4 years. It has cost me several thousand dollars in labor and coolant. I mistakenly thought Lennox was the best. I will never own a Lennox AC again.

Original review: July 13, 2018

I bought this heat pump model LR14HP30P in late 2015. It has broken twice since then and the latest with the blower motor and module, which is a substantial break. While the part itself is under warranty, the labor and diagnostics are over $400. Then there is the exorbitant and hidden $125 shipping fee for the #Warranty part that was coincidentally available the next day, which means it really was local. I am not impressed with the company, the product, and especially the rip off #Warranty fees. By the way I hung up after waiting 20 minutes for Consumer Affairs at Lennox and then called back and chose the menu to buy something and got someone in about 60 seconds who then informed me about the hidden fees. I would not recommend this product or company to anyone.

Original review: July 11, 2018

After installing in 2016 a new AC, 2 yr and $4700 later my unit needs a new panel board and motor. This is a new AC!!! Parts are covered but labor is not so will cost me $500. It's very upsetting. I wish we can really do something about these companies that only rip off people. After seeing all Lennox reviews I wish I never bought one. The company that installed them, I bet they get huge discounts for selling consumers this type of unit. A one yr labor is not enough warranty. At least 3 yrs and 10 in parts.

Original review: July 11, 2018

Very unhappy with Lennox Heat Pump. Had old Lennox for 25 years. When it went out purchase another Lennox 6-11-2013. Had it serviced like required after having serviced and everything was suppose to be working. Four days later air stop working. Had to go to hotel for 5 days because it was so hot inside house. Serial number: 16111E07954. Model 13 CHPXA-30-230-1. Thinking about reporting this to news channel for people not to purchase Lennox. Very unhappy with products. Installing contractor A-1 Certified also told them would not required them either.

Original review: July 9, 2018

I've read a lot of the existing reviews and feel the same way about my system. Mine was new construction 2.5 years ago and it's been a hot boiled mess ever since. I've had a least 8 or 9 service calls mostly from the builder's original installer. Winters I can't keep the heat warm enough and in the summers the AC goes out. I already had to replace the compressor once and expansion valve. Some solenoid too. I can't even begin to tell you how much coolant the system has had to recharge it. They just did a full system recharge after doing a pressure/leak test.

Lennox expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Lennox began in 1895 as a one-man operation building and selling steel furnaces and has since transformed into one of the largest manufacturers of air conditioners in North America. Lennox introduced central air conditioning systems to its customers in 1952. Now based in Texas, Lennox maintains manufacturing and distribution facilities all over North America. Find their products through a network of over 6,000 independent Lennox Dealers.

• SunSource solar energy system: Reduce heating and cooling costs by introducing solar energy into your home with the SunSource® solar energy system. Solar energy is a clean and abundant source of energy that can save you money on energy costs and allow you to apply for federal tax credits. Surplus energy from your air conditioning system can be sold or used to power other appliances or electronics in your home.

• Financing assistance: You can get a quality air conditioner even if you can’t afford it all up front. Lennox offers consumers 28 different loan types for air conditioners, including no payment, no interest options. Plans are available for most levels of credit.

• Energy Star: Lennox offers several air conditioners that have been certified by the federal government as Energy Star qualified. This means they are environmentally friendly and reduce energy consumption.

• Zone control: Lennox’s iHarmony zoning system empowers homeowners to control the temperature in different areas of the home. Control the temperature of different zones with your phone, tablet or other web-enabled devices.

• Thermostat recycling: Some older homes still have mercury-containing thermostats installed. These are dangerous for the environment and for people who may inadvertently wind up with mercury in their food or water supply. Lennox participates in a program run by the Thermostat Recycling Corporation, which is a nonprofit organization that facilitates the collection and disposal of mercury around the United States.

• Best for: homeowners interested in saving money by investing in solar technology and those who are interested in zone control.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs