Protect what matters most

Protect yourself from the unexpected - Shop home warranty companies.

Protect my home
1.17/5

Protect what matters most

Protect yourself from the unexpected - Shop home warranty companies.

Protect my home

393 Lennox Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

SLP98 furnace and XC17 Air with S30 iComfort - Installed both equipment in 2011. Upgraded iComfort last year. Never ever had any issue. Extreme winter like -35C and hot summer like +35c. Both equipment works smoothly (heating and cooling) 5000sft house.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I wanted to take the time to write a good review since most people only bother to write reviews when they have an problem. After all when you buy a new product you expect it to work so why would you bother to write a review for that! Well I decided to write this because as most of you are probably doing now, you’re contemplating buying a Lennox but are reading reviews first, and like you I found mostly negative things. I’m not sure it made me feel much better but all the brands I researched had mostly bad reviews. So here’s my experience... I installed a fully modulating furnace (SLP98) and A/C (XC20) along with the WiFi stat and let me tell you it’s awesome! Quietest and most efficient units I’ve ever had. The one thing I also kept reading for Lennox is that parts are hard to get.

I feel like all of those reviews came from California, maybe they are hard to get in California? I’m from Iowa and maybe it’s because Lennox is manufactured in Marshalltown, IA, but that does not seem to be the case here. I haven’t had many problems but the few times I had to have a small part replaced on my older unit the tech showed up with the part and fixed the unit same day. But as I’ll discuss next that probably has more to do with the installation company than the manufacturer. From reading most of these reviews and as I’ve read before, most of the problems sound like an installation issue, but unfortunately Lennox takes the hit for poor service and installation by the contractor.

That being said I would focus more on the contractor's reviews than these Lennox product reviews. I’ve had Lennox products for 40 years going back to the Pulse furnace and they’ve been great! But I’ve also had Lozier, a reputable company in my area, who’s been in business for over 100 years always do my installations. Just wanted to take a minute to give a positive review for a product that is expected to work and thank my contractor for doing a top notch job with a top of the line product. From a life long satisfied customer. Thank you.

Get expert buying tips about Air Conditioners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

Had a major part go bad on the air conditioner and the folks at Lennox stood by their product and went above and beyond what was required to make sure my family and I were satisfied customers. I'd also like to thank Terry at Economy Heating and Air in Sacramento for making the whole conversation with Lennox go smoothly with all the right info and professional follow-up replacing the part.

Original review: May 26, 2019

We purchased our Lennox package heat pump unit in Oct. 2017. In Dec., the compressor blew up bad enough that they replaced the entire unit under warranty. Now, May 2019, a valve has failed and it's going to cost me $1500 for labor and refrigerant which is not covered. The unit looks well made, but it runs loud and I'm not at all happy about the quality and reliability.

Original review: May 25, 2019

I purchased a Lennox heat pump system in late 2017. The AC quit working a few weeks ago and the second technician who came out said the evaporator coil needed replaced. I had to add 10 pounds of freon for almost $400 and the company wants over $800 in labor to replace it. The evaporator coil is under warranty, but not the labor. I started researching and discovered a class action lawsuit against Lennox for defective evaporator coils on systems sold between 2007 to 2015. Well, it appears this company still has not fixed this issue and is knowingly selling defective equipment. And the companies pushing these systems for sale are probably aware of this.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lennox?

Original review: May 16, 2019

I have five HVAC systems between my home and business. Three of them are Lennox systems. The two Lennox systems I have at home were installed in 2014 and 2016. These two systems had evaporator coil leaks detected and repaired in April 2019 at a cost of $2000 for labor. Both evaporator coils were under the Lennox parts warranty but the labor warranty had expired after one year. The 2014 coil was included in a class action law suit which required Lennox to cover some of the labor costs. The 2016 coil was not included in the law suit but had the same problem as those coils included in the law suit.

I contacted Lennox to ask that they cover the labor of the 2016 coil replacement. They said I needed to buy the extended labor warranty. The logic of that puzzles me. You only need a labor warranty if a part fails. If the part doesn't fail, you don't need a labor warranty. If a company believes in their product, they should cover all costs associated with its failure. Hence the class action lawsuit (Tomas vs Lennox).

My takeaway from this is: Lennox is not the top tier that I thought it was or that advertising promotes. Lennox required a lawsuit to address a manufacturing problem and then choose to continue selling what I can only assume are evaporator coils with the same defect that generated the original class action lawsuit. Warranties need to be closely examined. I have two Goodman systems that are outperforming my Lennox systems in initial cost, overall performance and reliability.

Original review: May 10, 2019

Bought a top of the line HVAC unit in 2017 and have had nothing but problems since installed. I dealt with A1 United (installer). They have been out 8 times in a year and a half. But when I finally said I think I have lemon units they said, "No. Doesn't qualify. Can't help you." Still paying on this unit. Will never buy Lennox again. Junk!!!!!

Original review: May 8, 2019

My unit in seven yrs has needed a new pump, three evaporator coils and now a new compressor. Spent a lot of money on this TOP OF THE LINE unit which does not seem to produce cleaner air and breaks at least yearly. I would never buy LENNOX again. They have done nothing to help us.

Original review: May 3, 2019

We purchased our AC unit 5 years ago. Last year all of our pipes started to freeze which led to us having to shut the unit down multiple times to thaw it out before it could be worked on in the middle of summer. Now it's starting again this year. We called our serviceman and he is to come today. This is my first energy efficient AC and it is totally a piece of junk. I will NEVER purchase another one of these units again.

Original review: April 30, 2019

Needing to stay cool in the brutal Houston heat, I Spent $7000 less than 2 yrs ago to buy a whole new Lennox system after the original Lennox of 8 years went out. This time the compressor is gone in this one! I won’t have to buy the parts because it’s only been almost 2 years but the labor costs just as much. What a rip off. You’d think after just paying 7k you wouldn’t have any problems with the unit for many years to come. Also when we bought the home new with a Lennox air conditioner we were never told by the builder to register online for the extended warranty. It would have been nice to know that was an option seeing that the first unit went out after just 7 years! This will be my last Lennox. Spending more doesn’t always mean getting more I learned.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I bought 2 high end Lennox Elite units. The coils went out in one unit after four years. They covered the part, but I paid $1,100 in labor. But what I found out next was shocking. This equipment qualifies for a 10 year extended warranty which I thought I had. But Lennox says I don’t because I didn’t register online within 60 days of purchase. Who knew? They tell you this when it’s too late. I’ll never buy Lennox again.

Original review: April 9, 2019

In 2016 installed Lennox heat pump. Information was that unit in made in USA. Come to find out it is not totally a US made product. After reading several reviews it seems that the motors and condenser coils have problems. You would think that Lennox would fix the problems once and for all. From what I have read it has not. Part covered under warranty bur labor is not. Told by company that installed my unit that it is because of surges that the unit is taking. I now have to have a surge protector installed to keep this from happening again even though I have a whole house surge protector installed by FPL. I had a Carrier unit for 16 years and did not have this type of problem.

Original review: April 2, 2019

In 2015 we had our heater and air conditioner replaced with a Lennox units. In the first year we did not have an issue. However, from that point on we have been having problems. But first let me tell you about the installer who has been remarkable and has had our back. Now to the issues. First it was the sensors giving us error codes. The installer came out a couple times and cleaned and replaced the sensors and the errors went away for a while. The error codes kept coming up and after a while the system locked up.

At first we could power down the unit and it would come up and run for a while but then it locked up completely. Again the installer came to our rescue. They had to replace the control board and a motor. Things went along smoothly for a while and then the iComfort thermostat started to fail. After two tries we now have a replacement that seems to be working for now. Overall our installer and their crews have been great but the Lennox system sucks. I asked my installer if it would not be better to replace the whole unit as this one seems to be a lemon. Their response was that they no longer install Lennox units. That tells you all you need to know.

Original review: March 2, 2019

I purchased a Heat Pump & Air Handler from Lennox (CBX32MV and XP 15) in 2007. Problems began immediately after installation and never stopped. Things that went wrong? Ambient temperature sensor (twice), condenser pump motor, dual capacitor, defrost board, “stuck” reversing valve, bad circuit board in heat pump, sequencer, bad contactor, and more adjustment issues. Many of these incidents meant lost work time in order to meet repairmen, and massive electric bills when heat pump was not functioning and system was in “emergency heat” mode.

This horrible Lennox system cost me a fortune in money and time. Worst investment of my life. Actually, each problem resulted in MULTIPLE repair calls, because the technicians didn’t seem to have a clue about the complex technology. After 8 years, when warranties were expired, I had the entire system replaced with Trane products. Number if issues now? ZERO. Trane system has run like a charm for 4 years now. Avoid Lennox like the plague.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

I purchased two Lennox signature HVAC 5.5 years ago. In this timeframe I have had to replace 2 coils under the Thomas vs. Lennox lawsuit. Thankfully, I filed as a consumer. Their crap warranty covered replacing coils albeit $1500 in labor came from me. Of late, living in S. Florida heat is hardly used. When I turned on heat on one unit it didn’t work. Another piece of crap. It cost me $900 to replace the hardly used heating element. No Warranty! Do not purchase a Lennox product unless you like paying for repairs on a 5 1/2 year old units. Lennox sucks.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

The motor broke in both units within two years. They supposed to be under guarantee, but they are charging me $325.00 per labor, this is unacceptable.

Please never buy this air. It cost me a lot of money and Costco advertise them, that is how I ended/up buying this junk.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Lennox AC coils failed for second time. Replaced original coils at 16 months from new install and again 14 months later. Unacceptable! Replacement coils have the same on going issue. Class Action lawsuit did not apply to me as we were beyond the date range despite the replacement coils still are a failure. Lennox remains only AC company who continue to use the failing coils.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I have a 4 year old Lennox Elite Oil Furnace that is junk. It was poorly installed (fuel oil running out onto the floor from the outside filter forming a large pool on the floor 2 days after installation) and has repeatedly leaked fuel oil inside the furnace. Fuel oil drips from under the assembly. I have had the authorized dealer/service firm (McKean in Washington, Pa) in here multiple time to fix it, and it just continues to leak. In November of 2016, I spent a 3 week period largely without heat. I gave up every vacation day, personal day and sick day for that entire year to be off work so McKean could come in here nearly every day.

Got it started when they got here, only to have it stop, leaking oil and with the lockout light blinking in as little as an hour. They have replaced multiple parts. They put shims in to lift one side. They most recently (in the last 2 weeks) replaced the entire assembly. It still leaks. I have to remove the front and wipe fuel oil several times a day or the air filter gets soaked. Even so, the filter gets oil on it (from the top and bottom) and has to be replaced every several days or it stinks. The house smells like fuel oil.

I have contacted Lennox corporate several times. They refer me back to the dealer (who is now charging me for failed repairs, $300 the last time) and to the district rep (who is not only no use, but offers inappropriate comments - like not understanding why I am upset about this and that I need to confront their authorized dealer on this charges for failed repairs). I'm beginning to think that being an retired, unmarried woman may have something to do with why I am being ripped off and run over.

I paid $3,500 for this furnace 4 years ago, and have paid close to $600 more for failed repairs. I have never had a experience like this in my life. Short of litigation against Lennox and their authorized dealer/service (which this may come to), I'm not sure what to do next. Is there anyone out there who fix this junk Lennox furnace? If so, you can respond via email or PM me on Facebook. In the meantime, I'm letting others know about my experience so that they can make an informed decision as to the brand of furnace they purchase and from which dealer.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

Bought a Lennox furnace & A/C unit in August of 2015 only to have the furnace stop working three times to date. Each time there was an issue with the flame sensor. Last time it stopped working was two days ago in 17 degree weather. I called the firm who sold us this product only to be berated for not spending $90 twice a year for maintenance. Apparently it's our fault for not using their service for maintenance. We have changed the filter constantly, cleaned the flame sensor once and replaced the sensor twice thereafter. I have a friend who bought a Lennox who had the same issue. DO NOT BUY A LENNOX!!! It will only be at your great expense. I am now in the process of looking to replace what was a very expensive, now worthless furnace.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

Purchased this unit (most expensive high efficiency they sell) January 2015. Within a month we began getting error code 292 about every 6-8 weeks. This error is presumably reports failed blower motor, but, the blower motor is actually OK, so it is a design glitch of some sort. This error turns off the system requiring a power off and on to reset it. This has now gone on for the last 3.5 years, and the dealer has replaced the motor, several different sensors and probes, and a logic board. None of this has fixed the problem. I finally went to Lennox customer service. They wrote me and asked for all the records for verification, I sent these. However, they then passed it to their local technical rep. He emailed me once with a phone number, but when you call that number you get an "out of service" message. He also has not responded to three subsequent emails.

I have now written back to Lennox, and they are not replying to my emails. In addition to this chronic and unresolved problem, the unit has also had several other component failures, a pressure switch and refrigerant loss, all within three years of the install. Lesson: Lennox products should be avoided because they are unreliable, and when service is needed they run you in circles and eventually ignore you. I plan to file a complaint with the consumer protection agency, but am also writing reviews on as many sites as I can to warn potential customers. STAY AWAY FROM LENNOX!!!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I bought 4 ton. A/C Lennox through Costco for $4480, 4 years later the blower motor broke. The part is within the warranty. My installer cannot get a replacement because only Lennox dealer has a monopoly and charges an arm and a leg to replace the piece. A friend of mine installed a 4 ton. RHEEM with an A/C repairman for less than $2000. Check with your A/C repairman if you can get parts for your A/C brand that you plan to install.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I brought my furnace 12/12/14 and have had the repairman out here several times. The furnace turns on but the burners don't ignite. It's either sensors not working or so something clogged. I replace my filter every two months so I try to do whatever I can to keep it working but when you buy a lemon there's nothing you can do.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

We moved into a brand new townhouse less than two years ago. It's now had to have the evaporator coil replaced and the condenser coil is bad. Lennox used to have a good reputation. Don't buy Lennox. Worst system ever.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

We built a new home in 2016 and purchased our HVAC Air Handler heat pump and AC through Lennox. First year we had 4 parts replaced. - All labor and parts paid. Now we are into our second year and our coil is leaking and exchange valve as well. Parts covered under warranty but the labor into the thousands of dollars. Our installer no longer sells Lennox due to all the problems with the product. Beware... Do not buy from this company. Now two years into a new home build we are looking at replacing our entire first floor units. And we expect the second floor units will not be far behind.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

My 8 year old blower motor went out Sunday Nov 18th. The entire system was sized by my installer and approved by St. Louis County Public works based on heat gain cals. We ordered it Monday 10 am 11-19 and finally got it today 11/26 at 11 am. It was made by Emerson Electric in Mexico. Proprietary by Lennox allows them no only not stock it any "parts plus " service centers because it took 5 UPS shipping days to arrive. Now the good part- a 1 hp 2 speed motor that would normally cost $150-250 was $800 excluding labor to install. If anyone tries to sell you a Lennox... RUN!! BTW 2 calls to Leslie ** at their home office went unanswered during us having 4 days of sub freezing weather. As a matter of fact he blocked my cell # per AT&T after the 2nd message. Messages I left him to call me to help locate a motor quickly.

Mr. ** refresh yourself of the Lennox creed that appears on your website. We are now taking the TRANE next time. You have tarnished the Lennox name and made a large lifetime critic of Lennox International products. This coming from a electrical motor sales person of 45 years. Cheap product... add some varnish to the windings... They will last longer, but then your profit margins will dip to under 500%. At least stock them so customers in colder climates don't experience what we did. Shameful but everyone should now beware.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

We purchased a Lennox HVAC system after doing lots of research in 2014. We thought we were being smart by purchasing a high end HVAC unit from Lennox. Since then, we have had a leak in the coil which required replacement and now have a carbon monoxide leak in the heat exchanger, which needs to be replaced. Same story as the other reviewers below. Parts covered by warranty but expensive labor costs which were not covered. We will not purchase a Lennox ever again.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

In March 2015, I bought 4 ton heat pump to heat and cool my 2200 sq. ft. home. In August of 2016, the coil died. Coil was covered by warranty, but labor was not. Coil died again in July 2017. Ok, that was only 11 months. Once again, coil was covered but labor was not. Here we are in Oct. 2018. Pressure is low and I can only surmise coil is gone again. Well, this one lasted 14 months! 4 coils in 3 1/2 years. No I will not be getting another coil! Fortunately I have money put aside for a new unit. Prior vendor told me there's nothing wrong with the coils, but I am not going for a 5th one. Changing vendors and manufacturers. My neighbor with the same unit has just replaced her first coil but her until was bought in 2016. DO NOT BUY A LENNOX.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

System condensates heavily and has growing discoloration on the unit installed in the attic. Dealer informed Lennox customer is attempting to run the system at 72 degrees when outside temperature is 100 thus resulting in the heavy condensate. Not sure what dealer is referring to. It is documented to outside temperature 84, thermostat set to 72 as requested by the dealer. Mold detected by independent audit.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

Purchased this unit in October 2010. First year 2 fan motors and 2 service calls because of it shutting down and locking out. Second year fan motor again and 3 service calls to get unit to cool in the summer and heat in winter. Third year summer added Freon. Fourth year numerous service calls because of no cooling or heating in winter. Fifth year diagnosed with all factory welds leaking and needed to be resoldered. Sixth year capacitor bad and replaced along with service calls during the year. Seventh year Ambient and coil sensors replaced. October 2018 and guess what. Came home from vacation and unit locked out and no A/C nor heat from unit. Repairs costs have totaled over $3,000 since it was installed. Have talked to some HVAC installers that use to install Lennox and they told me because of no support and poor quality of Lennox they no longer use them. JUNK. JUNK. JUNK.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I bought 2 Lennox air conditioners for my home in 2012, less than 5 years later the blower motor went out on one unit, the motor was covered under warranty but, I still had to pay almost $400.00 in labor. A year later the 2nd blower motor went out and it is not covered under warranty and is going to cost, parts and labor over $800.00 to repair. I bought Lennox because it was suppose to be top of the line in a/c's. Strand Brothers Service Experts in Austin TX now tell me that I am lucky something has not broken sooner, all systems irregardless of brand are not made to last. They should have told me that in the first place, I would have gone with a less expensive brand, since I was told I was going to have problems anyway regardless of the brand. I am very disappointed in Lennox and I will tell everyone I know, not to buy this product. It does not fare well over less expensive brands. Waste of hard earned money. DO NOT BUY A LENNOX PRODUCT!

Lennox expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Lennox began in 1895 as a one-man operation building and selling steel furnaces and has since transformed into one of the largest manufacturers of air conditioners in North America. Lennox introduced central air conditioning systems to its customers in 1952. Now based in Texas, Lennox maintains manufacturing and distribution facilities all over North America. Find their products through a network of over 6,000 independent Lennox Dealers.

• SunSource solar energy system: Reduce heating and cooling costs by introducing solar energy into your home with the SunSource® solar energy system. Solar energy is a clean and abundant source of energy that can save you money on energy costs and allow you to apply for federal tax credits. Surplus energy from your air conditioning system can be sold or used to power other appliances or electronics in your home.

• Financing assistance: You can get a quality air conditioner even if you can’t afford it all up front. Lennox offers consumers 28 different loan types for air conditioners, including no payment, no interest options. Plans are available for most levels of credit.

• Energy Star: Lennox offers several air conditioners that have been certified by the federal government as Energy Star qualified. This means they are environmentally friendly and reduce energy consumption.

• Zone control: Lennox’s iHarmony zoning system empowers homeowners to control the temperature in different areas of the home. Control the temperature of different zones with your phone, tablet or other web-enabled devices.

• Thermostat recycling: Some older homes still have mercury-containing thermostats installed. These are dangerous for the environment and for people who may inadvertently wind up with mercury in their food or water supply. Lennox participates in a program run by the Thermostat Recycling Corporation, which is a nonprofit organization that facilitates the collection and disposal of mercury around the United States.

• Best for: homeowners interested in saving money by investing in solar technology and those who are interested in zone control.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs