Lennox

Compare Air Conditioners

Research top Air Conditioners recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

We purchased a home in Tucson in 2014 with a 5 year old Lennox HVAC system, 13GSCA. We didn't hire a furnace inspector because we thought Lennox was a top quality brand plus it was newer. The following summer when we were in Seattle, our neighbor called to tell us that the A/C unit was running continuously so we called D&H, the company who installed it originally, to fix it. It was leaking coolant which they refilled at no charge because we bought a 3 year service contract. Fast forward to now and the coil is still leaking and it needs $800 of R22 which was being phased out since before this unit was purchased in '09 and the D&H tech said it would probably be better to buy a new unit.

In scrounging the internet to see who would be the beneficiary of my anger, I see that there was a class action suit against Lennox that addresses the leaking coil that causes the discontinued and expensive R22 to need replaced, but a claim had to be filed within 5 years of installation, putting us 5 months out of consideration. I told D&H that would have been good information to have in 2014 and they said they weren't allowed to disclose it. Really? What a crock. If anyone has had success filing a claim outside of the 5 year time frame, please respond. Thank you.

I had a Lennox heat and air system installed in 2002 that cost 10,000. I suppose I should consider myself lucky that the coils in the unit didn't fail until 2016. I was just told yesterday that the unit is bad and needs to be replaced. The problem is that I got shafted when I bought the unit because it used the old Freon system. I had a major leak last year that cost over a 1,000 dollars to just replace the freon. Now the coils are shot and along with the lost freon, the coils need replaced and the repair company said it wasn't worth fixing. I replaced a cheap builders unit with this one thinking I would save money on heat and air costs. It did help a little but the cost of the unit and the fact that it only lasted 14 years negated any savings at all.

Plus over the past 14 years I've put out 2,500 in repair costs. That does not include the normal maintenance of the system. I've always kept the coils clean and changed filters inside more than needed to take care of the unit. I guess that's why it lasted as long as it did compared to other purchasers. I agree with the comments written here that a Lennox unit is junk. It never worked as advertised and was expensive to repair and maintain. Even environmentally, this unit dumped 22 pounds of freon into the air. What good is an energy efficient unit if they dump their freon into the air?

Our a/c went out in 111 degree heat. We called Home Comfort, Inc. in Anaheim CA and they immediately came out and returned the next day with a "Lennox" A/C and we had the heater that was located in the hallway, intake and output, replaced. The serviceman RIPPED our thermostat off the wall and replaced it with something out of star wars. The drywall that had just been painted was gouged and the unit just sits in the cubby hole not attached to the wall. It rocks back and forth. When the A/C goes on or the heater goes on we jump to the ceiling and cannot hear each other or TV or anything. It has driven it out of our home. They were going to fix the problem but haven't seen them in 3 1/2 weeks.

Luckily we did NOT pay cash like we were going to and put it on the Credit Card. I filed an AIQ with the Bank and they put a hold on their account and returned the money to us. They are now going to come out tomorrow... I want this entire system gone and will call Burgeson's Heating and Air Conditioning in Redlands, CA to replace everything. They have the HIGHEST REPUTATION around. I will also have a General Contractor here so I have the A/C unit... It does not say Lennox but some other name but on the contract it says they installed a Lennox Unit. I am going to sue them.

I purchased a new Lennox Furnace to replace an older Day & Night that had a control board problem after 23 years of service. The service person recommended replacing the furnace because a new control board was $1200.00. He was a Lennox dealer and recommended a Lennox replacement for $5100.00. Long story short we replaced the furnace and have nothing but problems. Three service calls last winter because of fault codes E273 and E240. Lennox was notified by the dealer and they could not diagnose the problem. Last year over 7 days without heat. Started furnace this year which ran for about 5 minutes and then same problem, error codes E273 and E240. Now waiting for repair person again with no heat. Consumers learn from my experience. DO NOT BUY LENNOX PRODUCTS! Their products are faulty and they have no resolution or repair solutions.

My husband and I are 89 years old. In July 2014 we purchased a new 13ACX air conditioner and a el296d furnace from a dealer who is now out of business. The year it was installed we complained the house was not cooling in parts of the home and the temperature showing on the the thermostat never got to the setting we had it on which was 73 degrees. The now out-of-business dealer added another vent to an already well ventilated room, much to our disagreement. We never were happy and I called Lennox customer service several times with no help. Fall was upon us in 2014 and so it was not used being used, so I stopped calling.

The following Spring/Summer we asked the out of business dealer to come several times and when he did he would always say the thermostat was fine and perhaps you need insulation added to the attic or new duct work. Even though when we had the previous a/c unit the neither the insulation NOR the venting was an issue. We went ahead that summer and added insulation but still did not reap any benefits. Numerous calls were never answered and the customer service finally reached a representative to come evaluate. He backed up the now out of business dealer and was no additional help.

Now we come to 2016 and we have the same issue with the temperature in the house being 80 when we set it on 73. Another Lennox dealer came out, who voiced being upset that we did not purchase the units from him, for 3 separate days, changed an orifice, added freon and charged us $305 for their labor. It cooled for about two weeks and then we had the problem again.

We have a neighbor who works on a/c units look at it and he put dye in the coil and found we had coil leaking. He said it needed replaced. We did not want the current town dealer to come out since he charged us parts and labor for something that should have been under warranty. Also, we found out about the class action lawsuit was on this coil, yet the original dealer installed it anyway and the second dealer never mentioned it either. Needless to say it has been replaced and now we want the cost reimbursed for what we had to give for the 2nd Lennox dealer and the new installation Customer service for this company is very very poor. The numerous calls made, I had to wait up to 45 minutes to get assistance.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lennox?

As I was out of town a lot, I had my 14 year old Lennox heat pump system changed in 2010. Was afraid that it would fail while I was gone. In 2014, the air handling (evaporator) system fan motor with an electronic control module failed. I was gone but my neighbor noticed that the system was not running. The motor was replaced.

In 2016, the fan motor failed again. This time I replaced it with a motor that functioned with capacitors. The repair man told me that the reliability of the failed motor was terrible and that the capacitor motor was much more reliable, although it caused the system to have a higher SEER number and made more noise. One of big pluses of the Lennox system was how quiet it was. By putting a more reliable capacitor motor, it introduced more noise into the system. A lot more. Has anyone else had this problem? And if Lennox knows that it has this problem, why don't they fix the damned thing. I am 100% sure that I will never buy a Lennox product again.

My AC unit on a brand new house didn't make 1 year and the system failed. Writing an email to consumeraffairssocial@lennoxind.com will get you nothing. Basically you get a robo reply it's their supplier's fault and accepts no responsibility for their poor product. In other words they got your money now you're screwed. What I've learned from Lennox consumer affairs is that Lennox builds JUNK and they don't stand behind their products. It cost me $500 to have a leaking evaporator replaced.

Owned two Lennox a/c units. Their ten year warranty is terrible. They cover parts but not labor. Had to replace so many parts during the first 6 years, I've lost count. That goes for both units. Their customer service is terrible. I would never purchase a Lennox again.

I have a 2+ year old $12,500.00 HVAC system that has a leaking coil. I've called Lennox and I can't get any answers on how to get this fixed under warranty. My AC system has been charged for the third time so far this year and I still have no answers from Lennox or the installation company. I've called Lennox several times and the wait times are over an hour, once you get through to someone they have no answers and ask you to send info on service and repair items but nothing happens once you give them the info. The installation company is absolutely no help other than trying to sell me an extended warranty and then calling me a liar. Can anyone tell me if the class action suit is still open?? How do I get this fixed???

Purchased new high line 1-22-15, 8-28-16 motor on air handler went out. Part covered 159.00. Labor not covered. Just last week had the same unit put in another house I owned. Just finished reading reviews. Very disturbing. Very dissatisfied.

We purchased our house in January and the Lennox AC system was installed back in 2010 by the previous homeowner. During the brutal heatwave three weeks ago the AC stopped working. We called Lennox and they would not warranty the part. Lennox then recommended a "Lennox approved repair company". We called Ocean Air Services and were charged $138 before they would even come out to look at the unit. Repairman never showed. Took our money and ran. Will not answer the phone and Lennox will not fix the unit either. Now we are on to the 2nd repairman. Crap company, crap AC unit, and crappy recommendation on a repairman.

We moved into our brand new home in Jan of 2011 in Texas. Thought we were getting good air conditioners as the Lennox name and reviews. All was wrong. First coil went out in October 2014. They warrantied the coil but still had a 900 dollar install bill. Then in August of 2016 both coils went out. This time no warranty, 3600 dollars this time. I was told by the Lennox dealer that these were the cheap ones and I should upgrade them. We paid 10,000 dollars for them at first. Then put in another 4500 in 5.5 years. Horrible product, do not buy Lennox systems. I am stuck with them and to have the dealer tell me that I bought a cheap unit and that is why I am having to repair them does not say much for their product. I don't know any car you pay 10,000 for and have to put 4500 in the first 5 years that would not be returned under the lemon law. Lennox has a class action suit about this and I joined, not that they will pay.

We built a 3,000 sq/ft home and the builder installed two 3.5 ton/14 SEER Lennox AC units. After less than 1.5 years the compressor went out on one of the units. Lennox did warranty the part, but, we were stuck with a $1200.00 service fee. This is completely unacceptable. I found this site. I am amazed and concerned about the number of complaints against Lennox. I believe that the Lennox company has been shown to willfully use substandard materials in their products. The fact that the company lost a class action lawsuit about their AC coils is proof of that.

I called numerous AC repair companies, and every one of them made the same remark when I told them that had a Lennox air conditioners. The response was not good in any way, and two of them said that they felt for me. TO ANYONE OUT THERE, DO NOT PURCHASE A LENNOX PRODUCT! Read these reviews, make an educated purchase. Do not get stuck with an expensive, crappy product that will cost you a bunch of money.

Updated 8/5/2016 - Follow up from our compressor failing in Yukon, Ok. We paid the $1200.00 and it worked for one day. The same problem, the AC contractor is at a loss. The pressures are good, the lines have been blown out and vacuumed, the orifice is ok, but, it already has black gunk in the system. I FINALLY was able to talk to a Lennox person in their Consumer Affairs. He said that he was contacting one of their Lennox Reps in my area. So, we are stuck in a hot house in August in central Oklahoma. Is anyone out there in Internet Land willing to start a Class Action against Lennox for all these problems?

I moved into a senior complex, 60 units, in August 2015. Everything was brand new including huge Lennox air conditioning units. Since then mine and 4 others have failed. I'd say DON'T BUY LENNOX. A 5% failure rate in less than a year, in one location, doesn't speak well of your systems.

No one has called me back regarding my leaky coil on my Lennox product. This is unacceptable.

I've tried since 7/18/16 to get in touch with this dept w/o success. When you call 972-497-5799 there's no voicemail & wait times are 15-30 minutes & they tell you to "try your call again." When I emailed them X 2, there wasn't a response either time. I have a Lennox Gas Pack 15gcsxav-36-068x-230-1 which for the past 4 yrs has required replacement of the capacitor on a yearly basis. Replaced the compressor under warranty after 6 yrs. Can't seem to get any help from Consumer Affairs. We had a Lennox previously and it functioned fine. Not sure why this one is having problems & why Lennox won't get back w/ me. Very dissatisfied.

Lennox XC25-048 air conditioning units - Bought this after many years with the older Lennox Two Speed AC. Lennox no longer serviced part. This unit is not practical. It has 22 fins per inch. The coil works when new. However anything will cause it to foul, cottonwood, dog hair, bird's feathers. The company cleaning will bend the fins on coil when cleaning.

My unit is in Tulsa, OK. It is 48% humidity on a 97 degree day outside. My inside humidity is 68% and unit is set to auto with humidity set for humid climate. This unit will work to try to get to 75 degree F with 68% humidity INSIDE with 48% out. Have new filter, unit was cleaned and serviced. It only gets home to 77 degrees F.

The variable speed cannot handle the service it is seeing. Additionally the heater can take far too long to raise temperature from a lower day setting. This unit looked good on paper, but does not work in the real world. Fins are too tight together to ever work efficiently after a short time in service. Filters are over 100.00 each!!! No other filters meet the exact Lennox sizing, or didn't when purchased. I have dogs and change 4 times a year. $400.00 plus just for filters.

Called Lennox Consumer Affairs/ Spoke to Mark - they said they have no complaints and nothing wrong & no advice. Get another Lennox serviceman out and they will speak to them. Customer run around, just found out the coil has many problems. Disingenuous customer help from Lennox. That should be a deal breaker for everyone!! Dave Lennox left this circus long ago. Stay away from Lennox!! It is quiet. It just doesn't have the ummphh to do the job & is defective and incredibly poorly designed to probably get tax credit.

New home came with a Lennox model number CB26UH-036-R-230-1. Evaporator coil failed with multiple leaks less that 6 year old. Next new home will definitely check HVAC manufacture quality. I recently sold my old home which had a (Manf. good quality unit) 13 seer that still worked after 14 years of installation and unit still looked great and functioned.

I have been in my new house for 5 years and I have already had to replace 4 leaky Lennox coils!! All coils have been under warranty but this still has cost me approximately $500 per coil for labor etc. I checked the status of the class action lawsuit and my claim is still pending. Not sure why it is taking so long. All information was submitted in January. I will never use Lennox again!!

I helped my son, financially, replace their air conditioning unit. 3 yrs in, and a few days past the warranty expiration, the unit quit cooling. The coolant coil needed replacing which was going to cost over $2000. Upon further research, I found out there has been a problem with the coils and has lead to several class action law suits. They were not able to pay for repairs as they have 4 children. They have been without air conditioning since last spring. But now with temperatures in the upper 90's, they are really suffering. Anyone have leads on what they can do?

I purchased 4 units for a commercial building and these are the worse products imaginable. In the first 2 years I have already replaced 2-3 bad coils, compressors, 2-3 valves - you name it. The issues just don't ever seem to end. Don't walk, run from this manufacturer.

New home purchase in 2013 with new Lennox Air Conditioners installed. Rarely used 2nd floor unit goes bad July 2016. Same issue that was the basis for the class action suit they settled and somehow required participants file by 2/1/2016. They refused to admit fault and NEVER sent any notice to unsuspecting, soon to be impacted homeowners. The coils purchased between October 29, 2007 and July 9, 2015 are listed in the suit as problematic. They apparently began powder coating units later. Just under $1,200 in labor to replace the coil in the smaller unit.

I have lived in this house for 40 years, had numerous AC units installed, BUT, this is the biggest noise maker I have ever heard, sounds like a jet breaking the sound barrier when it comes on. I have to turn it off at night so I don't awaken every time it comes on. The company that installed it, at a huge amount of money was #1 rated in Houston. I hope the tech that came out today doesn't get fired because he agreed with me.

After reading the other reviews I believe there needs to be a class action suit filed by all of us. I had thought I had gotten a bad unit and it was unusual to have the problems I am having until reading these reviews! All of these reviews are just like my complaints! Everything about my unit has been replaced at least once and continue to be replaced again and again. Lennox is not interested in making good on their sub standard product -- let's get together and maybe they will be forced to make it right. I also feel fortunate my home didn't burn down. Give me some input.

I've had this Lennox unit and I couldn't even think of the names of heating and cooling systems that I've had at previous places that I've lived. I guess I never wondered about them because I didn't have any complaints. I first recognized Lennox to be the noisiest unit I've ever been around. I hate the winter months because it does not blow out hot heat. Utility bill is outrageous compared to summer. I lay in bed worried all night (builder put it by my bedroom window) thinking I'm going to have to replace this unit because of the terrible noises it makes when it is supposedly defrosting. Never had a problem with heat repairs regardless of how awful it sounds. Now I must give credit where credit is due... the a/c will run you away.

My family does not like to visit because they say we keep it too cold inside my home. What a good deterrent. But only being in this house 8 years this coming June 2016, let's see - year 4 had to replace the condenser coil. Even though part was under warranty, still had to pay for labor and freon $650. Year 5 had to replace the capacitor $155. 2 months ago replaced fan $285. Last week replaced fan again because of incorrect installation. Sitting here waiting now for repairman, system continuously running, say I need a compressor. Wow!

NOT GOOD. This unit was installed by a certified Lennox technician. This is a 5 ton system that was installed in a new home November 2014 and went into service January 22,2015. There was not a dealer around that would offer warranty on labor. It is efficient but the money you save on your energy bill every month, and then some, goes back into service calls and repair bills. The TXV has went out twice, Lennox sent new ones under warranty but it still cost me $345.00 each time due to shipping of parts, service call and new freon. There is a problem every 4-5 months with this system and is costing a lot of time and headache. Love the thermostat features though.

Now, 19 months later it needs a new blower motor and circuit board in the air handler. I have never written a review before and I'm doing this to save everyone from wasting their time and money. I am trying to spread the word to every person I know about how crappy this Lennox brand is. I promise that Lennox will see a drop in their sales in Halifax, Va because I know a lot of people around here and I'm spreading the word and I have proof of every time it fails.

This product is total junk and that's probably the reason there's a big lawsuit in the courts now on this model. Ask any of your local HVAC Technicians what they work on the most and what brand they would recommend before you go out and invest $1000's on a unit. Do not listen to the rep that gets commission and sits in an office every day. Do your research and reviews first. Trust me, Sanford and Son had better junk than this!!! I do wish one of the Lennox reps would be here when this Lennox piece of crap is giving me problems, because he would never forget he was near my house when it messed up on a 97 degree day!!!

About a year ago I posted a review of my 2 Lennox XP-15 signature series a/c units with regards to their combined 14 repairs. Well today we added repair 15 :-( and this one is going to cost $1300.00 to replace leaking evaporator. I guess if there is an upside to owning these units is that the house didn't burn down when it caught fire. Oh yeah the part(s) are supposedly covered but hey not the refrigerant or the labor. I know it's a gas but I wouldn't need it if their covered part hadn't failed. God I hope other people see all the issues surrounding Lennox BEFORE they drop a ton of money like I did. Oh and I tried to rate this a zero but 1 is as low as it goes.

Had a new Lennox Elite A/C unit installed 03/16/2011. On 06/12/2012 the evaporator coil was leaking and replaced under warranty but only after an argument. 05/28/2016 the evaporator coil is leaking again as verified by this company but now they tell me it is out of warranty. After checking the internet website I found out there was a recall on this product. When I questioned the company about this I was told there was also a lawsuit involving this product and I should check into this because they (A/C Technical Services) weren't going to do anything to help me. After more research I found out that Lennox had notified their dealers of the problem and it was supposed to be the dealer's responsibility to notify their customers of the recall but this company did not do that and now they tell me they want $2400.00 to fix the problem. I am now being told that the deadline to participate in the class action lawsuit is past so I am out of luck.

Had a new AC install by ECM. On May 05/2013 had some problems. Had ECM in May 05/2016. Said coil was leaking. There was a 5-year warranty on coil but would cost me $940.00 to replace it. Call Lennox. Talk to Domintue: “Sorry. That is your problems.” As to rate Lennox would be 0, very poor.

Some of the people writing about their coils asked about the Lennox class action. Matters related to the defective Lennox coil class action can be found here: **. Quiet units or NOT: My Zero Star experience with Lennox is this. I bought two XC25s in 2015. They are supposed to be quiet. Good luck with that. On Lennox's website, I read dozens of people write about how quiet it is. I question whether those who have a one star or zero star experience make it to the Lennox website.

Complete Care Plus Extended Warranty: You're supposed to be able to buy labor extended warranties called Complete Care Plus from your dealer. My dealer doesn't sell it. So I went to Lennox's website where they tell the reader all about the extended warranties called Complete Care Plus and list at least 10 dealers in my area that purport to sell it. Not a single one sells it. When I called into Lennox I got transferred over to Complete Care Plus (but not the department that sells it, instead the department that handles claims). The rep was kind enough to put me on hold so she could find out how to buy it. She then informed me that I must buy it from my dealer. And so goes the endless circle to Lennox's back hole.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

What began in 1895 as a one-man operation building and selling steel furnaces has since transformed into one of the largest manufacturers of air conditioners in North America. Lennox introduced central air conditioning systems to its customers in 1952. Now based in Texas, Lennox maintains manufacturing and distribution facilities all over North America. Find their products through a network of over 6,000 independent Lennox Dealers.

• SunSource solar energy system: Reduce heating and cooling costs by introducing solar energy into your home with the SunSource® solar energy system. Solar energy is a clean and abundant source of energy that can save you money on energy costs and allow you to apply for federal tax credits. Surplus energy from your air conditioning system can be sold or used to power other appliances or electronics in your home.
  • Financing assistance: You can still get a quality air conditioner, even if you can’t afford it all up front. Lennox offers consumers 28 different loan types for air conditioners, including no payments, no interest options. Plans are available for most levels of credit.
  • Energy Star: Lennox offers several air conditioners that have been certified by the Federal government as Energy Star qualified.
  • Zone control: Lennox empowers homeowners to control the temperature in different zones within their home with the iHarmony zoning system. Control the temperature of different zones with your phone, tablet or other web-enabled device.
  • Thermostat recycling: Some older homes still have mercury-containing thermostats installed. These are dangerous for the environment and for people who may inadvertently wind up with mercury in their food or water supply. Lennox participates in a program run by the Thermostat Recycling Corporation, which is a nonprofit organization that facilitates the collection and disposal of mercury around the United States.
  • Best for Lennox is best for homeowners interested in saving money by investing in solar technology, also those who are interested in zone control.

Compare Air Conditioners