1.28/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

377 Lennox Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

Purchased this unit (most expensive high efficiency they sell) January 2015. Within a month we began getting error code 292 about every 6-8 weeks. This error is presumably reports failed blower motor, but, the blower motor is actually OK, so it is a design glitch of some sort. This error turns off the system requiring a power off and on to reset it. This has now gone on for the last 3.5 years, and the dealer has replaced the motor, several different sensors and probes, and a logic board. None of this has fixed the problem. I finally went to Lennox customer service. They wrote me and asked for all the records for verification, I sent these. However, they then passed it to their local technical rep. He emailed me once with a phone number, but when you call that number you get an "out of service" message. He also has not responded to three subsequent emails.

I have now written back to Lennox, and they are not replying to my emails. In addition to this chronic and unresolved problem, the unit has also had several other component failures, a pressure switch and refrigerant loss, all within three years of the install. Lesson: Lennox products should be avoided because they are unreliable, and when service is needed they run you in circles and eventually ignore you. I plan to file a complaint with the consumer protection agency, but am also writing reviews on as many sites as I can to warn potential customers. STAY AWAY FROM LENNOX!!!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I bought 4 ton. A/C Lennox through Costco for $4480, 4 years later the blower motor broke. The part is within the warranty. My installer cannot get a replacement because only Lennox dealer has a monopoly and charges an arm and a leg to replace the piece. A friend of mine installed a 4 ton. RHEEM with an A/C repairman for less than $2000. Check with your A/C repairman if you can get parts for your A/C brand that you plan to install.

Get expert buying tips about Air Conditioners delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I brought my furnace 12/12/14 and have had the repairman out here several times. The furnace turns on but the burners don't ignite. It's either sensors not working or so something clogged. I replace my filter every two months so I try to do whatever I can to keep it working but when you buy a lemon there's nothing you can do.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

SLP98 furnace and XC17 Air with S30 iComfort - Installed both equipment in 2011. Upgraded iComfort last year. Never ever had any issue. Extreme winter like -35C and hot summer like +35c. Both equipment works smoothly (heating and cooling) 5000sft house.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

We moved into a brand new townhouse less than two years ago. It's now had to have the evaporator coil replaced and the condenser coil is bad. Lennox used to have a good reputation. Don't buy Lennox. Worst system ever.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lennox?

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

We built a new home in 2016 and purchased our HVAC Air Handler heat pump and AC through Lennox. First year we had 4 parts replaced. - All labor and parts paid. Now we are into our second year and our coil is leaking and exchange valve as well. Parts covered under warranty but the labor into the thousands of dollars. Our installer no longer sells Lennox due to all the problems with the product. Beware... Do not buy from this company. Now two years into a new home build we are looking at replacing our entire first floor units. And we expect the second floor units will not be far behind.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

My 8 year old blower motor went out Sunday Nov 18th. The entire system was sized by my installer and approved by St. Louis County Public works based on heat gain cals. We ordered it Monday 10 am 11-19 and finally got it today 11/26 at 11 am. It was made by Emerson Electric in Mexico. Proprietary by Lennox allows them no only not stock it any "parts plus " service centers because it took 5 UPS shipping days to arrive. Now the good part- a 1 hp 2 speed motor that would normally cost $150-250 was $800 excluding labor to install. If anyone tries to sell you a Lennox... RUN!! BTW 2 calls to Leslie ** at their home office went unanswered during us having 4 days of sub freezing weather. As a matter of fact he blocked my cell # per AT&T after the 2nd message. Messages I left him to call me to help locate a motor quickly.

Mr. ** refresh yourself of the Lennox creed that appears on your website. We are now taking the TRANE next time. You have tarnished the Lennox name and made a large lifetime critic of Lennox International products. This coming from a electrical motor sales person of 45 years. Cheap product... add some varnish to the windings... They will last longer, but then your profit margins will dip to under 500%. At least stock them so customers in colder climates don't experience what we did. Shameful but everyone should now beware.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

We purchased a Lennox HVAC system after doing lots of research in 2014. We thought we were being smart by purchasing a high end HVAC unit from Lennox. Since then, we have had a leak in the coil which required replacement and now have a carbon monoxide leak in the heat exchanger, which needs to be replaced. Same story as the other reviewers below. Parts covered by warranty but expensive labor costs which were not covered. We will not purchase a Lennox ever again.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

In March 2015, I bought 4 ton heat pump to heat and cool my 2200 sq. ft. home. In August of 2016, the coil died. Coil was covered by warranty, but labor was not. Coil died again in July 2017. Ok, that was only 11 months. Once again, coil was covered but labor was not. Here we are in Oct. 2018. Pressure is low and I can only surmise coil is gone again. Well, this one lasted 14 months! 4 coils in 3 1/2 years. No I will not be getting another coil! Fortunately I have money put aside for a new unit. Prior vendor told me there's nothing wrong with the coils, but I am not going for a 5th one. Changing vendors and manufacturers. My neighbor with the same unit has just replaced her first coil but her until was bought in 2016. DO NOT BUY A LENNOX.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I wanted to take the time to write a good review since most people only bother to write reviews when they have an problem. After all when you buy a new product you expect it to work so why would you bother to write a review for that! Well I decided to write this because as most of you are probably doing now, you’re contemplating buying a Lennox but are reading reviews first, and like you I found mostly negative things. I’m not sure it made me feel much better but all the brands I researched had mostly bad reviews. So here’s my experience... I installed a fully modulating furnace (SLP98) and A/C (XC20) along with the WiFi stat and let me tell you it’s awesome! Quietest and most efficient units I’ve ever had. The one thing I also kept reading for Lennox is that parts are hard to get.

I feel like all of those reviews came from California, maybe they are hard to get in California? I’m from Iowa and maybe it’s because Lennox is manufactured in Marshalltown, IA, but that does not seem to be the case here. I haven’t had many problems but the few times I had to have a small part replaced on my older unit the tech showed up with the part and fixed the unit same day. But as I’ll discuss next that probably has more to do with the installation company than the manufacturer. From reading most of these reviews and as I’ve read before, most of the problems sound like an installation issue, but unfortunately Lennox takes the hit for poor service and installation by the contractor.

That being said I would focus more on the contractor's reviews than these Lennox product reviews. I’ve had Lennox products for 40 years going back to the Pulse furnace and they’ve been great! But I’ve also had Lozier, a reputable company in my area, who’s been in business for over 100 years always do my installations. Just wanted to take a minute to give a positive review for a product that is expected to work and thank my contractor for doing a top notch job with a top of the line product. From a life long satisfied customer. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

System condensates heavily and has growing discoloration on the unit installed in the attic. Dealer informed Lennox customer is attempting to run the system at 72 degrees when outside temperature is 100 thus resulting in the heavy condensate. Not sure what dealer is referring to. It is documented to outside temperature 84, thermostat set to 72 as requested by the dealer. Mold detected by independent audit.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

Purchased this unit in October 2010. First year 2 fan motors and 2 service calls because of it shutting down and locking out. Second year fan motor again and 3 service calls to get unit to cool in the summer and heat in winter. Third year summer added Freon. Fourth year numerous service calls because of no cooling or heating in winter. Fifth year diagnosed with all factory welds leaking and needed to be resoldered. Sixth year capacitor bad and replaced along with service calls during the year. Seventh year Ambient and coil sensors replaced. October 2018 and guess what. Came home from vacation and unit locked out and no A/C nor heat from unit. Repairs costs have totaled over $3,000 since it was installed. Have talked to some HVAC installers that use to install Lennox and they told me because of no support and poor quality of Lennox they no longer use them. JUNK. JUNK. JUNK.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I bought 2 Lennox air conditioners for my home in 2012, less than 5 years later the blower motor went out on one unit, the motor was covered under warranty but, I still had to pay almost $400.00 in labor. A year later the 2nd blower motor went out and it is not covered under warranty and is going to cost, parts and labor over $800.00 to repair. I bought Lennox because it was suppose to be top of the line in a/c's. Strand Brothers Service Experts in Austin TX now tell me that I am lucky something has not broken sooner, all systems irregardless of brand are not made to last. They should have told me that in the first place, I would have gone with a less expensive brand, since I was told I was going to have problems anyway regardless of the brand. I am very disappointed in Lennox and I will tell everyone I know, not to buy this product. It does not fare well over less expensive brands. Waste of hard earned money. DO NOT BUY A LENNOX PRODUCT!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

(April 2014) New home with Lennox furnace and A/C. Had several problems in the first 3 years with furnace. Now just over 4 years the A/C stopped working. Tech said a leak and would cost around $1500 to fix. Well I've had it with Lennox. I'm lucky enough to be able to have a new A/C installed. But it will NOT be a Lennox.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

Worst company and product. My unit is only 5 year old and it's Condenser Coil has gone twice. They says part is covered under warranty but what about labor. My installation company charges $600 per installation and I have done twice for same part. If you are thinking about new unit, stay AWAY from Lennox brand.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Built my home in 2016. 2018 am having to replace the defective condensing coil. Costing 1200.00 to repair a 2 year old coil. Would never recommend Lennox. I think Lennox is dishonest and a very cheap disappointing company. Wish I had never bought from them.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Our Lennox air conditioner was installed on March 18, 2016. It stopped blowing air hot or cold on September 16, 2018. Serviceman determined the coil had rusted through, Freon had leaked out. The part is under warranty but we had to pay for labor at the cost 1050.00 plus 85.00 for initial service call. We also have a CARRIER for the other part of the house. The CARRIER was installed in 2009 and have not had any problems with it. The service tech for the CARRIER is the one who told me about the recall on the LENNOX coil. Really? No notice from Lennox that these coils could still be out here being installed in 2016? Nothing said to us from the installer? Wow...

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Despite being on the wrong side of a Class Action Lawsuit Lennox has not learned their lesson. The company continues to produce A coils that are not made totally of aluminum. I bought my unit in 2016 therefore do not qualify for the 2015 Class Action lawsuit. I have a leak in my A coil (Air Handler) in what suppose to be a high end unit. The coil will need replacing with a full aluminum coil. All costs will not be included in the warranty claim. The freon on initial trouble call to include blue dye to isolate the problem will be my responsibility.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

We have been in our home for only 10 months and are already experiencing ac problems. At beginning of cooling season, ac was not cooling. Tech said ac not fully charged. Tech charged unit. Now unit not cooling again, continually running. Electric bill outrageous. Tech visited today. Unit needed charge again. He will return in 1 week to check for coil leak. This in a unit only 10 months old.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

2 years in a row we had the evaporator coils break and leaking Freon. Tried to contact customer affairs, and district manager never reached out after customer affairs recognized the issue. Called a number of times just to be told that no progress had been made. Very poor product and poor execution of service by the district manager overlooking cases in FL.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Both of my HVAC System's evaporator coils are leaking Freon after about 2 and half years. Have performed Dye Testing to confirm the same. When I call up customer service, they are initially vague and keep transferring me from one department to another. At last when I get to speak to consumer affairs department, they say only parts which are cheap can only be replaced but not the Freon and labor which is more expensive. It is better to stay away from low quality products which cause very expensive repairs.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Whatever you do stay away from these people! They make a lot of promises, i.e. handling paperwork for tax credit, hospital quality air, energy saver, none of these were true. I spent $20,000, top of the line I am told, a little over a year and the thermostat or rather the computer that lets the thermostat talk to the system went out. The service man said it was 100% due to faulty installation. Do I get a discount? No I have to pay $500 to replace the modem that was improperly installed by the inexperienced techs they sent to do the install. Buyer beware, I wish I had got a Trane!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

I clicked on the link to ask for an estimate then asked in my request. THEN I asked when he was on the phone. The guy literally hung up on me because he said I "never asked for an estimate" and "he couldn't help me." I have never been so insulted. I just need my AC replaced. I know what I need. He was upset that I used an independent contractor to determine that I needed a new AC. He REFUSED to give me ANY concrete information on AC's, schedule any appointment, or give any estimate. Then he just hung up on me. He also said that an AC couldn't maintain 73 degrees, which I don't believe. I am a new homeowner, young, and doing this on my own. I am insulted, back to the beginning, and just frustrated. This shouldn't be so difficult.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

JK Mechanical technician confirmed that leak in coil (evap coil) and JK Mechanical confirmed that it's under warranty but they are asking me $1500+ for diagnose issue and replacing part... I am really very disappoint with the quality of Lennox product since it failed within 3 yrs... It didn't live at least 5 yrs... Lennox will keep on sending me parts but major question who is going to pay JK Mechanical every time $1000s of dollars. Lennox should take responsibility since it's a knows issue (leaking coil) and still they are selling such faulty product in market, you cannot just clean your hands by sending coil replacement but you should send your tech support to fix the issue.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I live in a neighborhood of some 500+ homes. Many homes have had to replace their evaporator coils in their Lennox AC systems due to the coils rusting and then leaking the refrigerant. I thought I was lucky... until last week. My first floor unit stopped cooling. Diagnosis is a defective evaporator coil after less than five years of use (some neighbors got two out of theirs). This repair will cost me $1400 and I have two other systems in my home. The class action lawsuit provides no compensation as Lennox is denying all claims. As well, the lawsuit states an owner has to have replaced TWO coils in the same system in order to be eligible for a $550 reimbursement for labor and refrigerant and also have the choice between a coated copper tube or aluminum coil.

Thank, Lennox. You'll sell me two defective copper coils before I'm eligible for a $550 reimbursement and choice between two coils that should have come with the unit initially. The only people getting rich here are Lennox and the lawyers for the lawsuit. Buyer beware. Buy something other than a Lennox for your home. Once my next coil goes in any of my three systems, I'm putting in a Carrier or Trane.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

We live in Palm Beach County, Florida. We have two Lennox XC-21 systems. We removed a SEER16 system in the attic, and added ONE XC-21. We added an additional XC-21 system for our new addition. One unit was in the attic, and one unit was in the house. Today, both are in the house. Our home is 3600 ft^2 under air conditioning.

We have paid a total of $33,000-34,000 to date for install of the new systems. We did not want the variable speed units. We chose the two-speed unit (XC-21). The first XC-21 system ("System A") was placed in the attic to replace the old system. This was January 2016. Here are the problems we experienced: The system was not insulated like the old unit, and it sweat constantly. It sweat all over. The water drenched the circuit boards, and rusted out a breaker in the attic within 15 months of install. The unit sweat so bad that there was a constant stream of water dripping out the secondary (not primary) drain. This drain was in the ceiling next to our front door. The thermostat had to be replaced.

System A died about three times in three years due to random issues related to the constant sweating. Symptoms of a died system: The thermostat would go blank, sometimes just spontaneously go back on. Then, the thermostat would completely died. Black screen. Dead. We made the decision to move this unit in March 2018 from the attic to inside the house, into a large storage closet. It has been six months. We had to do this.

Current problem: The outside meter of temp and humidity is broken, and the thermostat thinks that is 66 F outside (it's 91 F). The system will not power on. System B is inside the house. Like System A, the thermostat is black. I call the company that installed and of course is all kinds of things, but not Lennox.

Lennox is poorly insulated and unpredictable. The electronics are too complicated for most technicians, even in well-funded companies. Make sure that your a/c calculations are done properly!!! There is no room for error on these poor systems. I would recommend researching Doosan or another system looking to break into the market. I have heard equally bad things about Trane and Carrier.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

Bought our home in 2016. Home was built in 2013 with a 2013 Lennox AC unit. Have had nothing but issues. The coil created a leak and now the capacitor is broken. Stay far away from this brand. Will never own a Lennox again in my life.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

We bought our unit in July 2011. We had a service call today and learned the coils are rusted out. They are made of copper and copper rusts with the new freon. It will costs us over $1900 to replace the coils. Lennox is now making the coils from aluminum. But not for our unit. We will pay all of this money and get copper again. I would not recommend Lennox. They should be forced to give us a reduction on the cost of the replacement and they should have to design it in aluminum. The repairman told me the unit was clean and everything else was good. The coils look like they are on a 20 or 30 year old machine.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

We purchased a Lennox XC21-060; CBX32MV-060, the more expensive of our purchase options. We have had nothing but problems with it. MANY repairs, including a $1200 communication board (not covered by warranty). One weekend, they had to come on Saturday and fixed one problem and then come back again on Sunday for a second problem. One problem they have not been able to solve is the AC running, but not cooling. I have to shut down the entire system and restart it. That's a problem if I am not home as it will just continue to run if I am not home. And the technicians can find no reason for it to happen. Now, we have a problem with one of our zones where the AC kicks on for five minutes, off for five... continuously... and raising our electric bill. The technicians again say there is nothing wrong with system. I've even tried contacting Lennox and they just refer me to the service company. I would never, never buy Lennox again.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Very disappointed with Lennox. Our air conditioner in our home that is just under 3 years old was not cooling correctly. We found out it needs a new evaporator coil, due to it leaking Freon. We just spent $700 to diagnose the problem, and that doesn’t include the labor to replace it. After doing research we discovered that this is a major issue that many people are having. There was even a class action suit that has since expired. However the payout was ridiculous and didn’t begin to cover damages. Lennox was basically left unscathed. If you put out a product that causes people to spend hundreds of dollars in labor to repair, you should be held liable, and make it right. What’s to keep companies from producing a JUNK product if they aren’t held accountable. I’m disgusted by this company, and will never buy their product again.

Lennox expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Lennox began in 1895 as a one-man operation building and selling steel furnaces and has since transformed into one of the largest manufacturers of air conditioners in North America. Lennox introduced central air conditioning systems to its customers in 1952. Now based in Texas, Lennox maintains manufacturing and distribution facilities all over North America. Find their products through a network of over 6,000 independent Lennox Dealers.

• SunSource solar energy system: Reduce heating and cooling costs by introducing solar energy into your home with the SunSource® solar energy system. Solar energy is a clean and abundant source of energy that can save you money on energy costs and allow you to apply for federal tax credits. Surplus energy from your air conditioning system can be sold or used to power other appliances or electronics in your home.

• Financing assistance: You can get a quality air conditioner even if you can’t afford it all up front. Lennox offers consumers 28 different loan types for air conditioners, including no payment, no interest options. Plans are available for most levels of credit.

• Energy Star: Lennox offers several air conditioners that have been certified by the federal government as Energy Star qualified. This means they are environmentally friendly and reduce energy consumption.

• Zone control: Lennox’s iHarmony zoning system empowers homeowners to control the temperature in different areas of the home. Control the temperature of different zones with your phone, tablet or other web-enabled devices.

• Thermostat recycling: Some older homes still have mercury-containing thermostats installed. These are dangerous for the environment and for people who may inadvertently wind up with mercury in their food or water supply. Lennox participates in a program run by the Thermostat Recycling Corporation, which is a nonprofit organization that facilitates the collection and disposal of mercury around the United States.

• Best for: homeowners interested in saving money by investing in solar technology and those who are interested in zone control.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs