3.8/5 (620 ratings)
Find an Air Conditioners partner
Banner image

Need help with an HVAC system?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About Lennox

Banner image

Need help with an HVAC system?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Lennox Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lennox?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lennox?

Original review: Sept. 13, 2022

Had a whole house install done a year ago and Saturday evening came home to a 85 degree house. Checked the unit outside and the compressor and lines frozen. Called the install company and they couldn't get out until Monday. Not wanting to wait and knowing my way around A/C systems I removed the panel on the handler to have a look at the coil and discovered the glue that holds the insulation on the top panel had failed and the insulation fell on top of the coil. Naturally it caused the coil (with the insulation on it), lines, and compressor to freeze in a solid block of ice. Used a fan to thaw the ice catching as much of the water as possible, replaced the panel and started it back up and it worked.

First thing Monday the installation company shows up and inspect and takes photos. Tells me that it the labor warranty is days out but will contact Lennox to figure out how to repair. Meanwhile the condensation is dripping everywhere because the insulation is compromised and mold is starting to grow. They call me back and tell me that I will be responsible for the cleanup and repair. I call Lennox and they said that their handler can't create mold because they do not create water! LOL I asked why they put drains on them then. This company does not back their product and they will put you on hold for over an hour hoping you hang up.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2022

I’ve had a Lennox unit for 3 years and each year I’ve had issues that have costed me over 900 dollars to Fix each time!! They are the worst, if you call their customer service you can’t get through. You have to use special thermostats that cost 1300 with installation! It’s a rip off! By far the worst company in my books. Save yourself the trouble! I never write reviews but I must warn people how awful this company and its products are.

Get buying tips about Air Conditioners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2022

In April of 2015, I purchased the Newest and Biggest Air Conditioner/Heat Pump Lennox made for residential housing. Highest efficiency and what I thought was the best quality in the USA. The unit always had to have the drain line cleaned out or it would shut off, and then in June 2020, the Coil went out. Part was under warranty, but I still had to pay for labor and for the cost of freon for this repair.

Now, 2 years later, the Coil again goes out. Yep, part is still under warranty, but not labor and freon. I live in Florida, and life is unbearable without AC during the summer. System went down on August 3, 2022 and part was ordered by my installing dealer on 8/4/22. Lennox gave them an arrival date of 8/26, over 3 weeks later. Hot, Humid for 3 weeks, I reached out to dealer who has been as nice as can be, to verify that the part will indeed be here the next day. Normally, Lennox doesn't give them a tracking number, so they called to verify the part was shipped. The answer was No, even worse, they were told that it was now going to be middle of September, and if we wanted the newer part that was made of Aluminum, instead of the Copper ones that originally came with it, we would wait for that till middle of October. Are YOU KIDDING ME?

I then contacted Lennox myself, explained that this is the 2nd time the coil has failed, and I can't live in "Florida" heat for 1-3 months without parts. I got the standard cookie cutter answer and the biggest Run Around in my life. My new solution? I ordered a NEW "CARRIER" Aircondition/Heat Pump that will be installed this coming Tuesday. I regret that I didn't do this early in August. I can only say to any potential customer, forget the OLD Lennox, as that company NO LONGER exist. The new Lennox will leave you poor and upset with the worst Product I've witnessed in Home Heating and Airconditioning in my 60 years. Customer NO MORE...

Original review: Aug. 28, 2022

Purchased an AC unit through Costco in 2014. Two years into ownership we had to change a part in the air handler. On 8/15/22, the coil and compressor blew, and Lennox could not provide the parts even though the unit was still under warranty by 2.5 years. Because of that, I had to replace the unit and I could not afford another Lennox. They refuse to compensate me in any way even though they could not fix the unit because of the availability of the parts.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2022

May 2022 is when we had our Lennox system installed. After two 2-3 Months in, our 4k air handler with 24k med Static (4)ducted unit, cannot cool down our home still. Does not blow enough air and or will slow down itself and not cooling down our 700 sqFt.. downstairs: example 100 temp outside 85-90 inside home, cooling temp set at 62 lowest with fan speed set in high.. SP (supply power) set at 4 max.. Have to Run cool all day to try and cool down. Electric bill has increased 4 times normal amount and system takes 10-12 hours to ramp up. By this time we are shutting it down..

Air blows less than a Foot out of vent. Original dealer went MIA after install and we tried communicating this several times but no response to get any help, dealer makes any excuse he can not to help or says nothing needs to be done. This is because of Lennox treating dealers badly we think. And because Two other Lennox dealers unwilling to help as well, either to busy and or knowing how bad Lennox dealer warranty department is and how the dealer told me I have to be the one to tell Lennox what’s wrong and jump through hoops to get them to approve work.

Not the dealers who would get compensated for the work but me the homeowner. As if I were getting a commission. What dealers don’t want to do for the homeowner argue with Lennox warranty department and the cost to do so to make things right for the homeowner.. Even though they have a special hotline with Lennox to do so.

Lennox and dealers are supposed to be on point when it comes to this you would think seeing as they have this wonderful warranty and an additional one they opt you to get through comfort shield/AIG. My confusion is if the dealers and Lennox work together why are they not for the homeowner and having the homeowner call and fight this out? We are still looking for help here. We do feel that Lennox is not acting in “Good Faith” and Not following California Contract laws per CSLB and contractors not following protocol Etc.. and it’s very bothersome seeing as we have a historic home. We will and are still waiting for a call from Consumer Affairs to resolve the matter..

Original review: Aug. 24, 2022

My Lennox Air Handler stopped working on April 2022. The air handler was built on 2016. A normal air handler should work around 15 years, but mine worked 6 years, which is just 1 year after the 5-year warranty. It is pretty clear how terrible the product quality is. Originally, I trust Lennox and thought it should be a small problem and still manageable, but my trust became a nightmare. Finally, I paid thousands to replace a new one after several rounds of repairs.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2022

I will never in my life purchase from this horrific company ever again. I've only had this system for ONE YEAR and it stopped working due to a leak. It cost me $1035 to replace with the coolant that leaked out, labor, and this is with finding a stop for the leak! I didn't even have to get new coils which would have been way worse. This company is deplorable, would not reimburse me for this bogus product due to their negligence. I waited on the phone for ONE HOUR to talk to a "customer service consultant" who was rude and disrespectful and didn't help me at all. I would never use this company again.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2022

My unit is 13 months old. As of March 2022 I have paid $1800 to get cool air in 100 degree temperatures in Texas. Since July 21 our unit was out for 11 long days. Getting replacement parts is almost impossible to get within a reasonable time. Our parts were under warranty but to re-install, it was quite costly. I am a retired 74 year old in a fixed income. I replaced this unit June 2019 thinking I was not going to have any concerns for at least 5 to 10 years. DO NOT BUY LENNOX!

Original review: Aug. 5, 2022

My unit is only 15 months old (moved in April 13,2021) and has been having issues cooling since March 2022. The original Installer (house was a new build house) came and worked on it looking for leaks and couldn’t find any in house so they changed the outside coils in June. That didn’t fix the problem. They came back this week August 1 and said it was the TVX controller, BUT there aren’t ANY in the USA and they have no idea when there will be any for at least 2 months minimum. On top of that, the repair company wants to charge me the labor of $1600 to fix it…if it ever comes in because it took them beyond the warranty date to find problem.

I paid another company for a second opinion who told me if they ordered the indoor coils it would have that part on it and that the Lennox warehouse had plenty of those. So. I am going to have to pay $1600 out of pocket because it took them beyond the 12 months to fix it and there is a part available that could fix my problem but that appears not to be an option. So, here I am with my family which includes my 93 year old mother in the hottest part of the year in NC with minimal AC and sometimes no AC. This has to be one of my worst warranty calls in my 66 years. On top of all of this, I can’t confirm if my warranty was registered. I think I did it a year ago because I always submit my warranties.

However, with these issues happening I decided to make sure. Couldn’t find a way to confirm or anybody to confirm so I tried to re-enter and resubmit. System says I can’t submit because the build date is after my move in date. WHAT? I know how long I have lived here. I called Lennox and their very nice customer service person also said the build date was a year after I moved in. Transferred me to another area which, as happens so often with most companies, they disconnected me. This all been such a fiasco.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2022

I have had a brand new Lennox air conditioner for 1 year and 2 months before the compressor froze and now has to be replaced. I submitted warranty claim June 2022 and it's now August 2022 with no air conditioning in South Carolina. I would not buy Lennox again. Their product is crap and customer service is condescending and obviously inept. No one should have to wait 3 months for warranty replacement. Not to mention the product lasted 1 year and 3 mos. Not a fan. Complained to BBB and Consumer Affairs and still no help! DON'T BUY LENNOX.

Lennox author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Lennox began in 1895 as a one-man operation building and selling steel furnaces and has since transformed into one of the largest manufacturers of air conditioners in North America. Lennox introduced central air conditioning systems to its customers in 1952. Now based in Texas, Lennox maintains manufacturing and distribution facilities all over North America. Find their products through a network of over 6,000 independent Lennox Dealers.

• SunSource solar energy system: Reduce heating and cooling costs by introducing solar energy into your home with the SunSource® solar energy system. Solar energy is a clean and abundant source of energy that can save you money on energy costs and allow you to apply for federal tax credits. Surplus energy from your air conditioning system can be sold or used to power other appliances or electronics in your home.

• Financing assistance: You can get a quality air conditioner even if you can’t afford it all up front. Lennox offers consumers 28 different loan types for air conditioners, including no payment, no interest options. Plans are available for most levels of credit.

• Energy Star: Lennox offers several air conditioners that have been certified by the federal government as Energy Star qualified. This means they are environmentally friendly and reduce energy consumption.

• Zone control: Lennox’s iHarmony zoning system empowers homeowners to control the temperature in different areas of the home. Control the temperature of different zones with your phone, tablet or other web-enabled devices.

• Thermostat recycling: Some older homes still have mercury-containing thermostats installed. These are dangerous for the environment and for people who may inadvertently wind up with mercury in their food or water supply. Lennox participates in a program run by the Thermostat Recycling Corporation, which is a nonprofit organization that facilitates the collection and disposal of mercury around the United States.

Lennox Company Information