Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Lennox Reviews

Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

Purchased October 14, 2016. This was the brand Costco sponsors for HVAC. I trust Costco. Within 6 months the coil leaked and needed replacing. The fan motor was defective on the outside unit (XC20-048). Now the air blower is defective (11-15-2019). I spent $9000 on this 4 ton AC and I am so disappointed. I wish I had never bought anything from Lennox. I have over $1200 in repair costs so far. I will never buy Lennox again. Service has been horrible. Parts not in stock and I wait 2-5 days to get parts. I live in Palm Beach County in Florida. Having my home as hot as outside is no fun. I can not recommend the Lennox brand. Even the service technicians say this is more defective than other brands.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

I purchased a brand new townhouse from Pulte Homes in December, 2013 at the Crown community in Gaithersburg, MD. That was just over five years ago, and it came with a brand new Lennox heating and cooling system. I was recently notified by my tenant that the A/C unit is no longer working. It turns out that the condensing unit outside was leaking freon. But wait, that's not all. The system has an evaporator coil inside the house that was also leaking freon. Please forgive me if I am not getting the terminology exactly right; I am a consumer and not a service technician. All I know for sure is that that not one, but two pricey Lennox products had failed in just over five years!

The first thing I did was contact Lennox customer service where I was informed that the builder never bothered to register the unit(s) with the manufacturer. It seems that the product comes with a standard five-year parts warranty and an extra five if you go online, tell them who you are and where you live--apparently an important distinction. I then wrote a detailed letter to the CEO of Lennox, some guy named Todd M. Bluedorn in Texas. I explained what was going on with our A/C and that I purchased the townhouse fresh out of the wrapper and that the builder purchased the HVAC system as well as the doors, faucets, appliances, flooring, light fixtures, etc. I purchased a home. By the way, the guy makes over $7 million per year, more than I've earned in my entire life!

Anyway, he didn't even bother to answer my letter!!! Rather, he kicked it over to their customer service division, the very same people whom I had already contacted, and they shot me an email telling me that I was out of luck. This response, of course, did not sit well. Moreover, I am disappointed that multiple Lennox units had failed in the first place! $4,000 later, my air conditioning is up and running with a brand new system from Bryant, a division of Carrier. I was very careful to ensure that the units were properly registered. But as I explained to Mr. Bluedorn, I will never do business with Lennox again so long as I live. Their products are woefully unreliable and their customer service is abysmal. Incidentally, I had an almost identical problem with a company called York, coil leaking just at the five-year mark, and after writing to their CEO, they were very pleased to send a new coil.

Hey, when you are dealing with equipment, stuff happens. The real measure of a good company is what happens after there is a problem--thankfully most companies do stand behind their product. Companies that do not, companies like Lennox, well, my advice is: Stay Away!!! Having read through the ConsumerAffairs reviews, one can see that scores of Lennox consumers have been similarly mistreated. I guess customer service is largely irrelevant when your accounts include the likes of Home Depot and Costco, and when you are making $7M per annum without having to. But you've lost me as a customer. Best of luck!!!

Get expert buying tips about Air Conditioners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

This is by far the worst tech support ever. When our techs are in the field needing support, they cannot be on hold for over an hour to get answers. They call the office and give me the information and then I have to sit on hold for another hour. Lennox should hire more people to do the job if they want to keep customers. They are not the only game in town. We will try to steer our customers away from this company simply because of the poor tech support we have experienced every time we call in. As of this writing, I have been on hold for 45 minutes and our service tech was on hold prior to calling me for 1 hour and 10 minutes and gave up.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2019

These units were installed in my home after a rebuild from Katrina damage. Since that time I have replaced the air compressors coils on all units more than once.

The fan motors have all gone out and I've had to put substitutes on to replace them because the factory doesn't seem to ever respond or have them in stock. I replaced an air coil last August, under warranty, except for the $500.00 labor. It went out again this year at the end of August. The factory does not respond to requests on their web site or phone calls. DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

We opted to purchase a Lennox AC from Costco in Redding, CA. Integrity Heating and Air is the only authorized dealer/installer in the area. The air conditioning unit is fine. However, we are still coping with adjustments to the air flow as the service team makes appointments then does not show up or call. Despite multiple requests and civility, this company does not respect appointment commitments. They left the wooden forms for the concrete pad and did not remove them; three of the four legs of the unit only make contact with the pad; air does not blow well into the bedrooms, etc. Lesson learned - like buying automobiles, I've also learned not to underestimate the value (or lack thereof) of the company's service providers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lennox?

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

I had 2 units installed almost 11 years ago. Install was done in November 2008. While the units cost was high they had a good rating. Now I am changing my mind! Not on the unit but on Lennox. The condensing coil was replace 1 year 3 weeks ago. The unit was still under the 10 year warranty by a couple of month. Cost was only labor. The coil started to leak again last week 1 year 3 weeks after it was replaced. I contacted the dealer and he said it should not have done this but I would have to reach out to Consumer Affairs at Lennox.

Here is the FINE print. If a part is replace under warranty the part assumes the warranty of that unit. If you have 1 day left on the warranty that is what your part is warrantied for! If you replace it after the warranty you get a 1 year 5 year or a 10 year warranty on the coil. While I get that the coil was PAST THE 1 YEAR no one nor can I find anything that says that the part assumes the original warranty. Nor do I care at this point. It is known that Lennox has issues with the coil and everyone assumed the issues are resolved. Be very careful when choosing what unit you have installed. Might want to look for a company that stands behind their Warranty/products. Anyone can warranty anything but how they handle it in a time of need is something totally different.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

My Lennox signature series have system has had continual problems. The air conditioning failed and cost me $2,000 to repair it. It is only three years old. Now the heating system is not working poorly. I set the temperature where I want it, say 72 degrees. It heats up the house to 72 degrees. Then it turns on the air conditioner and cools the house down to to say 65 degrees. There is cold air coming out of the vents. Then it heats the house back up to 72 degrees. Then it cools the house off again. This cycle goes on and on. It is wasting energy and money to run this supposedly high efficiency system. I would not buy Lennox products if I was you. I dont recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2019

Lennox STILL selling the faulty coils that THEY KNOW fail (see the Lennox Coil lawsuit settled 2015). Please read this lawsuit before you buy any HVAC. I wish I had been informed. Bought 2 units. AC Coil (CH33) leaked after first summer of use. $ 2,600 out of my pocket for labor diagnosing and resolving the leaking coil. Customer Service is non-existent. Any self respecting HVAC company would not sell Lennox. Companies that do sell Lennox do so because they know the coils will fail over and over and, therefore, they make a lot of money from you in service calls (only Lennox Dealers can buy the parts; so you cannot use your reputable, independent HVAC agent who probably would have told you not to buy Lennox in the first place).

Reputable Dealers I spoke with in Dallas have stopped selling Lennox because of the faulty coils; since these coils have cost them so much money out of pocket; as they "do the right thing" by their customers and fix the coils free of charge that fail within the first few years (i.e. they eat the labor costs). Do your research online, speak to reputable HVAC companies in your area that ARE NOT Lennox Dealers (so they are unbiased) before you purchase a Lennox system. Too late for me; but I hope I can help someone else from multiple expensive repairs. Bottom line - avoid Lennox Brand completely.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

I've been installing hvac systems for 24 years. Never in my experience have I seen so many problems with the evaporator coils or thermostats. Failure after failure. Many within a year of the installation. It's hard telling the customer that they have to spend even more money to make the system work that they already spent money on or that they are still trying to pay off. On top of that I have to tell them I'm putting the same faulty part that has failed in the first place. Lennox has made no effort in changing the bi metal coil with a aluminum type. It is damaging to the consumer and the companies that install them. Lennox was so misleading in telling us we were selling a great product. What a piece of junk.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

July 2016 I purchased a new home with two new Lennox Elite HVAC units. July 2019, evaporator coil in the upstairs unit fails. $780.00 for labor to replace. September 2019, evaporator coil in the downstairs unit fails. $730.00 for labor to replace. If you have a Lennox unit, get a home warranty with a low deductible. Based on what I've read, the problem continues. If this is happening to you, be sure to file a complaint against Lennox with your local Attorney General's office. Can't hurt to get the paper trail going with local government agencies. Lennox knows exactly what is going on and is not going to voluntarily admit any wrongdoing. The proof is the replacement frequency being supplied in court regarding the units in questions. They can't deny documented failure after failure in 2 or 3 years of service. So be sure to provide documentation to your local Attorney General. It will help lay the groundwork for another class action suit.

Lennox expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Lennox began in 1895 as a one-man operation building and selling steel furnaces and has since transformed into one of the largest manufacturers of air conditioners in North America. Lennox introduced central air conditioning systems to its customers in 1952. Now based in Texas, Lennox maintains manufacturing and distribution facilities all over North America. Find their products through a network of over 6,000 independent Lennox Dealers.

• SunSource solar energy system: Reduce heating and cooling costs by introducing solar energy into your home with the SunSource® solar energy system. Solar energy is a clean and abundant source of energy that can save you money on energy costs and allow you to apply for federal tax credits. Surplus energy from your air conditioning system can be sold or used to power other appliances or electronics in your home.

• Financing assistance: You can get a quality air conditioner even if you can’t afford it all up front. Lennox offers consumers 28 different loan types for air conditioners, including no payment, no interest options. Plans are available for most levels of credit.

• Energy Star: Lennox offers several air conditioners that have been certified by the federal government as Energy Star qualified. This means they are environmentally friendly and reduce energy consumption.

• Zone control: Lennox’s iHarmony zoning system empowers homeowners to control the temperature in different areas of the home. Control the temperature of different zones with your phone, tablet or other web-enabled devices.

• Thermostat recycling: Some older homes still have mercury-containing thermostats installed. These are dangerous for the environment and for people who may inadvertently wind up with mercury in their food or water supply. Lennox participates in a program run by the Thermostat Recycling Corporation, which is a nonprofit organization that facilitates the collection and disposal of mercury around the United States.

• Best for: homeowners interested in saving money by investing in solar technology and those who are interested in zone control.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs