1.19/5
Based on 54 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

349 Lennox Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

We purchased a Lennox XC21-060; CBX32MV-060, the more expensive of our purchase options. We have had nothing but problems with it. MANY repairs, including a $1200 communication board (not covered by warranty). One weekend, they had to come on Saturday and fixed one problem and then come back again on Sunday for a second problem. One problem they have not been able to solve is the AC running, but not cooling. I have to shut down the entire system and restart it. That's a problem if I am not home as it will just continue to run if I am not home. And the technicians can find no reason for it to happen. Now, we have a problem with one of our zones where the AC kicks on for five minutes, off for five... continuously... and raising our electric bill. The technicians again say there is nothing wrong with system. I've even tried contacting Lennox and they just refer me to the service company. I would never, never buy Lennox again.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Very disappointed with Lennox. Our air conditioner in our home that is just under 3 years old was not cooling correctly. We found out it needs a new evaporator coil, due to it leaking Freon. We just spent $700 to diagnose the problem, and that doesn’t include the labor to replace it. After doing research we discovered that this is a major issue that many people are having. There was even a class action suit that has since expired. However the payout was ridiculous and didn’t begin to cover damages. Lennox was basically left unscathed. If you put out a product that causes people to spend hundreds of dollars in labor to repair, you should be held liable, and make it right. What’s to keep companies from producing a JUNK product if they aren’t held accountable. I’m disgusted by this company, and will never buy their product again.

Get expert buying tips about Air Conditioners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

In February 2017 my husband and I closed on our new construction Lennar home which included a Lennox Air Conditioning unit, M/N CBX27UH-036-230-6-03 S/N ***. In January 2018 we placed a call to Mills Air due to our AC not blowing cold air. Mills Air came out and stated that there was some settings in the thermostat that had changed, it was corrected and the AC worked. In July, 2018 it was apparent that the home was not cooling as quickly as it should. The AC was set at 75 but the thermostat was reading 79 and didn't change for hours. We were outside of our 1 year warranty so we contacted Western Air to come out and look at the unit. The HVAC tech mentioned that there was not a gasket on the outside unit, and that there was a Freon leak, but he thought it was probably because the gasket was missing.

He filled 1.5 pounds of Freon into the unit and installed the missing gasket. Within 2 weeks the AC appeared to be slow to cool again. On July 28th Western Air came out and did a leak test. A leak was not able to be found, but the tech had to replace 1 pound of Freon. Dye was added to the system to do a leak detection test. On August 10 the AC tech from Western Air came back out and found the leak in the evaporator coils in the air handler. The reason I am writing this is because in 2015 Lennox was under a class action lawsuit, Thomas v Lennox, in regards to the same situation. From my understanding, Lennox used mixed metals in their coils which caused them to rust and leak.

According to www.evaporatorcoillawsuit.com the nature of the lawsuit was "A Settlement has been reached with Lennox Industries Inc. ("Lennox") in a class action lawsuit about whether it manufactured and sold defective evaporator coils. An evaporator coil is a part of an air conditioning system or heat pump system in the cooling mode. Lennox denies all of the claims in the lawsuit, but has agreed to the Settlement to avoid the cost and risk of further litigation."

We feel that since we have only lived in our home for less than 16 months at the time the leak was documented, that it appears that Lennox is still selling/installing units with this same issue. Our Evaporator coils were copper, as were the coils in the lawsuit. When I spoke to Lennox's Consumer Affairs Department on 8/15/2018, I asked if they still had the copper coils being produced and the gentleman I spoke to said that there are probably still some in circulation. I do not know why a company would still manufacture and provide these units to homeowners when there was such a large known issue. There are at least 2 other homes in my brand new neighborhood that have had leaks in their units already. As a new homeowner, you do not expect to have to replace the Evaporator coils on your AC within the first 16 months, just 4 months outside of the 12 month labor warranty.

I am asking that Lennox covers the cost of the labor to diagnose and replaced the coils. The original date of service was on July 12, 2018 and that visit cost a total of $119.70. On July 28, 2018 the labor and dye test cost was $237.81. We have not received the invoice for the review of the dye test on 8/10/2018 and we were quoted $527.03 for the coil replacement (minus any Freon refill) on 8/15/2018. $884.54 is what we are out of pocket for something that should not have occurred so quickly. We feel that Lennox should take responsibility of still allowing faulty evaporator coils to be installed.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

On March 23, 2017, I purchased two Lennox Air Conditioners an Xc16S060-230-05 and Xc16S048-239-04 for my home that cost $18,360. I have had trouble with these units and the installer has been to my house 5 times since the installation. One unit cycled on and off the other lost Freon and neither filter door works properly. You have to duct tape them closed. More importantly the units still do not cool my home properly. I am at the end of my rope. Buyer Beware.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

Had a major part go bad on the air conditioner and the folks at Lennox stood by their product and went above and beyond what was required to make sure my family and I were satisfied customers. I'd also like to thank Terry at Economy Heating and Air in Sacramento for making the whole conversation with Lennox go smoothly with all the right info and professional follow-up replacing the part.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lennox?

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I bought a Lennox A/C System because the Heating and Cooling Company said that they are one of the best. After 4 years the coil was leaking coolant and the coil had to be replaced. The coil itself was covered under warranty but not the very expensive labor change. The technician that replaced the coil said he has been replacing quite a few of them and replacing them with upgraded coated coils. There is obviously a problem with the coils if they are replacing them after 4 years with upgraded ones. Also, when the air handler was opened up, the insulation above the fan motor became loose and was lying on top of the fan motor and covered the intake. If this company truly stands by their products, they should recall them or at least cover the labor.

When I called their Consumer Affairs Department, All they did was told me they were sorry and read me the part of the warranty that says they don't pay labor after 1-year. My next store neighbor bought a cheaper system around the same time I bought my Lennox and it has outlasted mine and he paid thousands less. Save your money, don't buy a Lennox!

Original review: July 26, 2018

I purchased my home brand new in September 2014. My home air conditioner is a Lennox. In August 2017, I had to replace a leaking evaporator coil. It is now July 2018, and I am again having to replace a leaking evaporator coil. This will be the third evaporator coil in less than 4 years. It has cost me several thousand dollars in labor and coolant. I mistakenly thought Lennox was the best. I will never own a Lennox AC again.

Original review: July 13, 2018

I bought this heat pump model LR14HP30P in late 2015. It has broken twice since then and the latest with the blower motor and module, which is a substantial break. While the part itself is under warranty, the labor and diagnostics are over $400. Then there is the exorbitant and hidden $125 shipping fee for the #Warranty part that was coincidentally available the next day, which means it really was local. I am not impressed with the company, the product, and especially the rip off #Warranty fees. By the way I hung up after waiting 20 minutes for Consumer Affairs at Lennox and then called back and chose the menu to buy something and got someone in about 60 seconds who then informed me about the hidden fees. I would not recommend this product or company to anyone.

Original review: July 11, 2018

After installing in 2016 a new AC, 2 yr and $4700 later my unit needs a new panel board and motor. This is a new AC!!! Parts are covered but labor is not so will cost me $500. It's very upsetting. I wish we can really do something about these companies that only rip off people. After seeing all Lennox reviews I wish I never bought one. The company that installed them, I bet they get huge discounts for selling consumers this type of unit. A one yr labor is not enough warranty. At least 3 yrs and 10 in parts.

Original review: July 11, 2018

Very unhappy with Lennox Heat Pump. Had old Lennox for 25 years. When it went out purchase another Lennox 6-11-2013. Had it serviced like required after having serviced and everything was suppose to be working. Four days later air stop working. Had to go to hotel for 5 days because it was so hot inside house. Serial number: 16111E07954. Model 13 CHPXA-30-230-1. Thinking about reporting this to news channel for people not to purchase Lennox. Very unhappy with products. Installing contractor A-1 Certified also told them would not required them either.

Original review: July 9, 2018

I've read a lot of the existing reviews and feel the same way about my system. Mine was new construction 2.5 years ago and it's been a hot boiled mess ever since. I've had a least 8 or 9 service calls mostly from the builder's original installer. Winters I can't keep the heat warm enough and in the summers the AC goes out. I already had to replace the compressor once and expansion valve. Some solenoid too. I can't even begin to tell you how much coolant the system has had to recharge it. They just did a full system recharge after doing a pressure/leak test.

Original review: July 2, 2018

We have a Lennox Furnace Model EL195UHE, (top of the line) installed October 2014. Nothing but problems. Four service calls to replace major parts, control boards. Costly to us on repair bills! Furnace is under warranty for one more year! After that I will replace it with another brand. And use the Lennox for a boat anchor. Don't buy them unless you like junk!

Original review: June 25, 2018

I decided to write this review after I was just told that I need a new compressor for my Lennox heat pump. This will be the 3rd compressor for this unit which was purchased new on 4/27/12. As you can see it is only 6 years old. In 2012 I had a complete new Lennox system installed which included a top of the line XP-17 Dual Fuel Heat Pump, new furnace, coil, and the latest I-comfort Thermostat for $10,235.00. In March of 2014 (2 years) the compressor went out under warranty. After complaining extensively to Lennox, they agreed to pay for half of the labor to install. I still had to pay over $700 to have the compressor replaced. Now (June, 2018) my compressor has gone out again. It is still under warranty but again Lennox does not cover labor. Therefore, I have just agreed to pay $2100 to have the compressor replaced again. As far as I am concerned, Lennox compressors are junk and I would never buy another Lennox product again.

Original review: June 22, 2018

Labor is never covered on this product and if the builder refuses to fix it it will be cheaper to just buy a new one. Find the cheapest AC with a full 5 year warranty and a local well rated contractor. Trane has the same issues=no labor warranty so be careful what you buy and from whom.

Original review: June 20, 2018

My family and I are in the same boat as everyone else. Our brand New Lennox system is only 2 1/2 years old. This is the 2nd summer using the air conditioner and we already have to replace the coil. We have poured all this money into getting this new system and having it installed and we can't even use it. We now have to pour more money into this new system And from the sounds of it the warranty that we have covers nothing.

Original review: June 19, 2018

Brand New Pulsating Furnace and A/C (Installed May 2018) - I wish I would have checked this website before I made a decision to buy a well advertised and marketed brand such as Lennox. I decided to replace my existing HVAC system which was 30 yrs old with the top of the line Lennox rather than a Japanese model which was offered by my contractor. What a mistake, the furnace didn't even work right out of the box, that should have been a red flag for me. Now the condenser coil is icing up every time the unit is turned on and the furnace is flooded with water. I hope that they will take this piece of garbage back, I'm out thousands of dollars on what I thought was a quality product, now I am in the same boat as many others here... DO NOT BUY, YOU WILL BE SORRY, SAVE YOUR MONEY! Typical marketing B.S. riding on the coat tails of a once quality product.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I purchased a 3 ton A/C Lennox model 13ACX-036-230-17, Coil model # CH33-36B-2F Coil/3Ton/Cased installed late summer of 2013. This had a 10 year warranty on it. After 15 months of use of a period of 4 1/2 summers the coil went out with a major leak. Lennox advertises they have the best coil unit. It cost me another $1600/labor to replace and the warranty covered all but $400 of the replacement part. I have emailed Lennox 3 times since May 2018, no reply. I have called twice and again today was on hold for 41 minutes then I was cut off.

The consumer should not pay anything for a unit or brand that has a warranty. All I ask Lennox for is to repay me for the labor costs, they can keep the $400 extra on the coil. I would not recommend a Lennox. It is hard to choose when you are misled through advertising stating they have the best. I read they have had a lawsuit settled for poor coils in 2016. It sure has not changed anything as the problem with their coils remain.

Original review: June 18, 2018

I just paid Jordan's Heating and Cooling service $200.00 for refrigerant and they said they would have to come back and run a test for a leak. That will be another expense. This unit is only 2 years old. I'm just sick about it and surely wish I had never bought a Lennox.

Original review: June 14, 2018

In July 2014 we purchased a Lennox HVAC fully convinced we were getting the best on the market. Two years later the coil was leaking and had to be replaced. Now, two years after the coil was replaced and 4 years after purchasing the unit, the coil is being replaced again. Our repairman says his company is no longer carrying the Lennox brand because of such poor quality. We have one more year on the warranty. When this coil has to be replaced, we will be purchasing another and, hopefully, better brand of HVAC. I cannot express my disappointment. Several thousand $$$ for a very poor quality product. Personally, the least Lennox could do at this point is extend our warranty.

Original review: June 13, 2018

My Lennox air conditioner stopped working 1 year and 1 day after installation. Lennox's defective components cost me $930 in labor costs 1 year after installation. They were unwilling to assist with this cost despite the obvious cause of the problem, their defective parts. Their representative held claim to their lack of responsibility as it applies to labor, labor cost (this situation) would not be an issue if their a/c unit was of better quality with a longer life expectancy than 1 year.

Original review: June 13, 2018

My wife and I purchased a Lennox SLP98UHV heater, 507345-01 iComfort Thermostat and a XC20 Elite Series air conditioner thru Costco and had the units installed by Mechanical Concepts Solutions (MCS) from Albuquerque, NM. We have had nothing but problems since the units were installed on April 24, 2017. MCS has sent a technician out to our house on 6 different occasions, 05/02/2017, 06/17/2017, 06/30/2017, 07/09/2017, 03/19/2018, 06/04/2018 and MCS needs to come out again today 06/13/2018 to get the unit running again. Each time a MCS technician runs test, resets the units and turns it back on. Not once have they provided a solution for the problem.

The technicians are very polite and knowledgeable. They report the problem to their bosses but that is as far as it goes. A Lennox customer representative has contacted me and asked permission to access our system remotely and investigate the problem. We are still having the problem and my wife and I are regretting spending roughly $18,000.00 + for what we are told is a Cadillac model. I am totally dissatisfied with the Lennox brand and MCS the installer. I am looking into legal ways to get satisfaction. I work hard for my money and should not be treated this way. The only reason I gave a one star rating is because of the technicians, otherwise I would not have chosen a any stars.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I bought a whole new AC/Heat system in July, 2014. In May, 2017, noticed the System was not cooling. They had to replace the coils, and said it just happens sometimes. The coils were under warranty, but not the service call to diagnose the problem, the Freon or the leak detection. I discovered a previous lawsuit for coil failure, when looking for the recommended maintenance schedule today. There was not any information on this recommended schedule included in my owner's info, but there is a disclaimer that "Failure to provide maintenance per Lennox instructions will void this warranty." I will never purchase another Lennox AC.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I paid 8800.00 for a new Lennox unit. Needless to say that after 2 years this unit has stopped working. The dealer that sold me this unit said that a "valve" was the problem. Fixed the valve, still not working. I have asthma and live in Florida and needless to say it is hot. I have been without air for about a week now while they are trying to figure out what is wrong with this unit. To make things even worse I have to pay the service company that is fixing it 600.00 because the parts may be covered but the service isn't. I have never dealt with such a not so nice company. Beware and really do your homework when buying an AC unit.

Original review: May 31, 2018

We bought a Lennox air conditioner about 5 years ago now, and it never worked properly from day one. There are a ton of complaints about Lennox online so consumers beware. This was the brand Care Heating and Cooling in Columbus recommended. I blame them for not taking their job as to product reliability seriously. We have spent more in repairs than the unit cost and Care has been horrible as well as Lennox. If you want a reputable manufacturer and reseller don't chose either Care or Lennox.

Original review: May 29, 2018

I bought my new construction home in 2015. In the first year, my Lennox evaporator coil went out due to a leak. These were the defective copper coils involved in the class action lawsuit. Luckily I didn't have to pay any labor costs as these were still covered under my home builder warranty. Now in May 2018, the second coil went out, another large leak. The part is still covered under the 5-year warranty, but service/labor/refrigerant costs amounted to over $1,000.00. I don't think I'm qualified to get reimbursement under the lawsuit for multiple reasons. Lennox isn't making this right and they continue to produce defective coils. They have no concern for the consumers. I don't know why the BBB continues to back this company when most of their reviews are negative. How many more times will I have to replace this crappy part and pay for labor costs? Bad company and bad business practices. I'm spreading the word to every place/person I can think of.

Original review: May 24, 2018

We moved in our new town home in April, 2010. In June, 2018, a little over 8 years, our coil began leaking freon; two different places on bottom front corners. We were told it needed replacement. At first the technician informed me it wasn’t under warranty, then later I was told (after I read the warranty) it was under warranty but labor and freon would not be covered. I took pictures of the rusted coil around all edges of coil. The coil, itself aluminum, had galvanized steel surrounding all edges of the coil, approx 1” wide. This was rusted and metal was crumbling from rust, around ALL edges. Condensation from coil and humidifier contributed to rust plus the fact it was steel, not aluminum. Was replaced by dealer on 5/24/18 with a complete aluminum coil, no steel any where, and now even tubes going in and out of coil are aluminum; no steel anywhere. Old coil is a defective product and labor and freon should be covered under warranty!!!

Original review: May 24, 2018

We had our working 25 year old HVAC system replaced with a Lennox system by FH Furr around 5 years ago. Last year when it was serviced we complained that the unit did not appear to keep up. The servicer added some refrigerant and said it just needed to be topped off. He did not charge me and I thought that we pretty nice. Once again this season I noticed it was not keeping up and when the company came to service it I was told that it needed some more refrigerant and went on to add 5 lbs at a cost of over $350.00. They suggested that we do a leak test at a cost of $220. The results showed that the indoor coil has a leak and I am now told that the cost to replace will be $1500.00.

I called Lennox and they suggested I contact their consumer affairs department. Good luck getting someone on the phone. On hold for 3 hours and still told all consultants on the phone. They probably have one person. So much for being proactive to replace a perfectly good system that gave us no trouble with a new one.

Original review: May 21, 2018

Our home is less than 5 years old and has 3 Lennox units. One has lost all refrigerant and the other two are low and barely cooling. The repair company said all 3 have leaking coils. It was not mentioned that Lennox has an ongoing issue initially. The coils will be covered under warranty but the labor to install and the cost of the refrigerant is not and will run approximately $3,000. I mentioned I had read about the ongoing problem with Lennox coils. The technician informed me the replacement coils will be the same defective material as the ones being replaced.

Lennox is changing to an aluminum design but not for warranty replacements. The coils we are receiving will only be covered through the original warranty period. Based on this information and the history to date I am speculating we will be having the exact same issue in about 3-4 years and be faced with an even larger bill to pay for aluminum coils, installation labor and refrigerant. Has there been any secondary lawsuits filed against Lennox to pay for labor and refrigerant costs?

Original review: April 25, 2018

We had a 2 1/2 ton AC unit that was installed when our house was built in 2005. Decided to have it replaced in 2016 as we wanted a little larger unit. DelAir Services sold us a Lennox unit and it was installed in 5/16. In January of this year we had to have them come out and they had to replaced Condenser fan motor, they had to come out two weeks later to replace a fan blade. Well lo and behold on 4/24 came home and house was rather warm. Thermostat was set for 72 but room temp showed 77. AC unit kept on running for three hours. Called for service.

DelAir showed up today 4/25 and the tech found that the evap coil was leaking. This unit is only 23 months old. Come to find out that Lennox has had a problem with the EVAC coil and apparently are not standing behind the machines that they make. Thinking about hiring a lawyer to work with us to get a new unit installed. We don't have a lot of money to throw away. We do have an extended warranty, thank God. Anyone out there help us.

Original review: April 16, 2018

We moved into our new house in July, 2016. Last week I had our two Lennox units serviced only to be told one of them had a freon leak at the evaporator coil. Parts are covered under the warranty but labor isn't. $800 on a unit 1 year and 9 months old, serviced per Lennox's schedule, and used moderately. How can it possibly be that after all the legal trouble Lennox has faced, they still sell defective products? DON'T BUY LENNOX PRODUCTS.

Lennox expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Lennox began in 1895 as a one-man operation building and selling steel furnaces and has since transformed into one of the largest manufacturers of air conditioners in North America. Lennox introduced central air conditioning systems to its customers in 1952. Now based in Texas, Lennox maintains manufacturing and distribution facilities all over North America. Find their products through a network of over 6,000 independent Lennox Dealers.

• SunSource solar energy system: Reduce heating and cooling costs by introducing solar energy into your home with the SunSource® solar energy system. Solar energy is a clean and abundant source of energy that can save you money on energy costs and allow you to apply for federal tax credits. Surplus energy from your air conditioning system can be sold or used to power other appliances or electronics in your home.

• Financing assistance: You can get a quality air conditioner even if you can’t afford it all up front. Lennox offers consumers 28 different loan types for air conditioners, including no payment, no interest options. Plans are available for most levels of credit.

• Energy Star: Lennox offers several air conditioners that have been certified by the federal government as Energy Star qualified. This means they are environmentally friendly and reduce energy consumption.

• Zone control: Lennox’s iHarmony zoning system empowers homeowners to control the temperature in different areas of the home. Control the temperature of different zones with your phone, tablet or other web-enabled devices.

• Thermostat recycling: Some older homes still have mercury-containing thermostats installed. These are dangerous for the environment and for people who may inadvertently wind up with mercury in their food or water supply. Lennox participates in a program run by the Thermostat Recycling Corporation, which is a nonprofit organization that facilitates the collection and disposal of mercury around the United States.

• Best for: homeowners interested in saving money by investing in solar technology and those who are interested in zone control.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

Lennox Company Information

Richardson
TX
www.lennox.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business