1.16/5

Last updated: April 16, 2018

320 Lennox Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Michael of Woodstock, GA Verified Reviewer
Original review: April 16, 2018

We moved into our new house in July, 2016. Last week I had our two Lennox units serviced only to be told one of them had a freon leak at the evaporator coil. Parts are covered under the warranty but labor isn't. $800 on a unit 1 year and 9 months old, serviced per Lennox's schedule, and used moderately. How can it possibly be that after all the legal trouble Lennox has faced, they still sell defective products? DON'T BUY LENNOX PRODUCTS.

Mike of Anytown, AZ Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: April 11, 2018

I recently joined the class action settlement re evaporative coils and it turned out to be a joke for consumers. Lennox made out like a bandit, which begs the question whoever represented Lennox customers must have been in on the deal. The settlement is ludicrous. You get no relief from bearing the labor costs of your coil failure unless you’re still under your authorized contractor’s own warranty. Otherwise, you get nothing from the Lennox settlement to reimburse costs to replace the original coil.

What the settlement offers is a measly $500 against a SECOND failure, where labor could easily be $1000 or more. You have to wait for a second failure to occur on the coil again before you get that benefit from the settlement. Additionally, the first coil replacement gets an expanded warranty which is in reality a reduced warranty of five years. In my case I had eight years remaining on my Lennox unit including the original coil. Ordinarily, the replacement coil would resume whatever warranty period was left (in my case 8 years). But now I have only five years on that coil, meaning I lost 3 years of the original warranty as my reward for joining the class action. The third party managing the settlement has yet to answer my query as to how this was ever viewed as an attempt to make the customer whole again from a company’s screw up in using widely-known inferior coils.

Get expert buying tips about Air Conditioners delivered to your inbox.

Martha of Murfreesboro, TN Verified Reviewer
Original review: April 11, 2018

I bought a 2 ton Lennox unit in 2011 that the installer told me was energy efficient, (it wasn't). This unit has never ran right. Loses it freon... Total frigging JUNK. It has not been ran but about half the time and most of the time it is broke down. I have called for repair 7 times. Today I decided I had enough when the labor once again is another 830.00 bill. Going to replace the unit... All I can promise is it will not be a RUDD or a LENNOX. Both are JUNK in my book.

Janine of Hatfield, PA Verified Reviewer
Original review: April 10, 2018

In 2013 my 24 year old York HVAC died after providing great service. The plumbing company I used recommended Lennox. Six months after it was installed there was a refrigerant leak. Last month wires inside the unit rubbed together and shorted the system. Of course, Lennox will replace the parts because they're under warranty but I had to pay $500 for labor. When I called Lennox, they blamed it on the installation. I will never purchase a Lennox product again.

Brant of Gainesville, GA Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: April 9, 2018

I am a Lennox HVAC dealer and have been trying to reach customer service for a year! Yes... you heard that right! A whole year! I have a customer with a ductless mini split that hasn't worked for a year and we have tried over 20 times to reach the tech support. I waited for over 2 hours one day and still no one will pick up the phone. Same result with any of their junk products! I have now been on hold over 45 minutes and no one will pick up! Absolutely no customer service! Never... Ever buy a Lennox product! Trust me... I've been in the HVAC industry over 40 years and I have never seen a company fall this bad!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lennox?

Dexter of Ocala, FL Verified Reviewer
Original review: April 8, 2018

Heads-up! Lennox 5-Ton Signature Series continues to leak refrigerant. Licensed Sears service technician stated this is a common problem with Lennox; repair is not possible and only can be corrected by replacing the indoor air handler coil, costing over $3,300. We paid over $7,000 for this unit, and all the electric, pipes, and sump pump were already in place and in great condition, and not replaced. We are now shopping for any brand other than Lennox!

Fluffy of Ruskin, FL Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: April 4, 2018

Lennox was involved in a class action lawsuit involving their evaporator coils. They settled out with consumers however, they continued to sell units with the defective coils so those of us who were unfortunate enough to purchase a Lennox after the settlement, we not only have defective units that Lennox will not cover costs for and can't join the settlement. My own two units failed within 18 months. I, too, was advised by Lennox Consumer Affairs that I should have purchased a "Labor Warranty" - and I pointed out to them that I was never offered a "Labor Warranty" - not by Lennox, not by my builder, not by the installing dealer, not by the servicing dealer.

Probably because they all knew that the units were defective and they stood to make a profit charging me labor to repair the units, while they would lose money selling me a "Labor Warranty." I do have a "Maintenance Warranty" but all that does is provide regular maintenance on the units twice a year, it does not cover the cost of replacing defective parts. I am reaching out to attorneys to see if there is a chance of another lawsuit. I would advise everyone else to look for a "Product Liability Attorney" in your area. Let them know there are hundreds if not thousands of us out here who have been ripped off.

Rich of Butler, PA Verified Reviewer
Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

In 2009 I purchased a Lennox Elite Signature Series XP19 4 Ton Heat Pump with Air Handler CBX32MV-48-230. WHAT A MISTAKE IT WAS. I did purchase the 10 year parts and 10 year labor warranty. However the unit has been constantly serviced. Today it was diagnosed that the compressor froze up. This past summer it was down for 2 weeks during June when it needed the main heat pump control board replaced and the main fan motor replaced. That was the second time that the fan motor was replaced. Do you think that maybe the Lennox engineering team needs a makeover? I do.

Dino of Halifax, VA Verified Reviewer
Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

Well I still have this heap of junk, still troublesome one thing after another. Lennox still sends Parts and I still pay shipping and labor. When it fails, I get an email every time. I keep those emails for my records so one day I just might run across Dave Lennox in person and I can show all of them to him as I take those bib overalls and wrap them around his neck and I’ll take that gay ass hat, he wears, and cinch it around his ** while I show all those problematic emails to him. PLEASE PEOPLE, READ all the comments that us suckers have posted about a LENNOX JUNK UNIT. Don’t waste your money or time on this brand. YOU WILL REGRET IT!! I promise!!!

Arlettia of Clifton, TX Verified Reviewer
Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

In May, 2014 we purchased and had installed in our home 2 Lennox MS8 Single Zone Heat Pumps. We could not install a normal central heat and air system because our ceilings are too low for the ductwork. Everything was working well until August 2016 when the drain hose in our bedroom that drains water to the outside of the house backed up and water started dripping into our bedroom on to our furniture and new flooring. We were not told when the units were installed that this was a possibility and we never expected it. My husband sucked out the drain hose and placed screening over the end of the hose hoping to keep this from happening again.

After a while I noticed what I thought was mold growing in the unit that had the water backup problem. I purchased a mold testing kit and sent it in and sure enough the test results were positive for mold. I called the company and explained what had happened and that we had mold growing in our unit and was told there was nothing they could do about it because that was not covered by the 5 year warranty. We called the installer who finally came out and cleaned the unit on 8-4-16 at a cost to us of $103.50. The unit in the back room stopped blowing air at all and we had to get that unit cleaned out too. There are two air filter screens in each unit and I diligently keep them cleaned but that still did not keep the one in the back from getting clogged and stop blowing air correctly.

When the installer to clean the back unit he said that the screen filters that come with these units are pretty much useless. Wow, I wish he had told us that prior to us paying him $4,631.00 for the two units in our main house. I really wanted Mitsubishi brand heat pumps but the man that did our installation said he only had Lennox. We have a call into our installer as of today to come out, once again and clean the two units in our main house. He has not returned our call. I am very disappointed in these systems.

If you are considering getting a heat pump for your home DON'T BUY LENNOX! In January 2017 our hot water heater leaked and we had to have all our floors removed and replaced because we could not get the same flooring we had down. When they removed the bedroom flooring under the air conditioner that had leaked into the house there was mold on the floor and the water had also ran into the bathroom causing mold under that flooring also. I have uploaded the receipt for the purchase of these units along with pictures of the mold in the unit that had the water back up. Image 3062 is the mold that was under the flooring where the unit leaked onto the floor.

James of Raleigh, NC Verified Reviewer
Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I bought an expensive outside unit for a new home. The unit had a rebate as part of the purchase. Rebates normally come in the form of a check which can be deposited. In Lennox case it is provided on a debit card that is only good for 6 months. The card states that it is active but there is an expiration that is not noticeable. If you don't use it on time the funds disappear and the website that I used to verify says it cannot be reissued. I saw another complaint about the 2.95 cash fee but this is more significant. In this case Lennox can reclaim rebate money that it owes a customer. Be wary and use it fast if you get one. This is a great business scheme for a business to take money that it owes back and add to their bottom line. I do wonder how many others are affected. I plan on adding this complaint to as many sites as possible to ensure that the public knows about this issue!

Elmer of Sewickley, PA Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

Had difficulty connecting my Lennox iComfort WiFi thermostat to WiFi. Melissa from technical support informed me that Comcast updated their firmware in Oct 2017. She took me through step by step on the thermostat and on the Comcast Gateway settings, and was very pleasant and knowledgeable. The thermostat now connects to the WiFi. The only downside is that I will burn fewer calories not running back and forth to the thermostat.

Sam of Plano, TX Verified Reviewer
Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

HVAC product quality is the worst I have seen. This company uses Indian R&D center and their product design is poorest in the industry. The AC makes loud noise, the heater igniter goes bad every year!

pat of Portland, OR Verified Reviewer
Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

Have an 8 year old Lennox Heat Pump. Stopped working. Called repair service, who ordered part online with rush shipping. When it did not arrive when supposed to, repairman called. Part was not in stock in that warehouse. Was told that no one does anything about it until someone calls. Repairman then called and was told that it would take two days to enter it into the system, then it would take two days to ship (wouldn't do it next day air). Didn't seem to care that we haven't had a furnace in November for a week, and now it's going to be almost two weeks.

Martin of Lisbon, OH Verified Reviewer
Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

New home built by Schumacher Homes, 2017. Installed new Lennox unit before we ever moved in. The first day of installation, the furnace was running and would not shut off, it was hotter in the house than it was outside in July. We turned the power off to the unit. We moved into our new home at the end of July and two days later the AC unit quit. Two service calls later and new parts and it was working fine until last week when the emergency heat kicked on and would not shut off, the temperature outside was 62 degrees, the emergency heat should never have turned on. The thermostat was set to 66 degrees and the temperature inside the house was 73 degrees and climbing. We had to shut off the breakers once again.

We are not complaining about the company who installed the unit, they are wonderful about getting our system running properly. We are warning anyone thinking about installing and Lennox to reconsider. I want a new system installed, because the one that I have now is 3 months old and I have had 5 service calls already, parts replaced, thermostat replaced and lots of aggravation. We now refer to it as our "Lennox Lemon". Very dissatisfied customer.

Steven of Chapel Hill, NC Verified Reviewer
Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

Lennox issued me $350 rebate in the form of a prepaid Visa card. It is intended for use to purchase products from retailers. That means I lose out on bonus points from the American Express card that I would normally use, thus it costs me money to get my rebate. I can use the card to withdraw cash from Visa ATM's, but Visa charges a $2.95 fee for each transaction, in addition to the ATM fee. No matter how I use the prepaid card, it costs me money! Robbery used to be against the law.

Linda & Garth of College Station, TX Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

We moved into a new home in December of 2014. The home had a Lennox Air Handler installed for AC/Heat. We began having problems within 6 months! In June of 2015 had to have a new controller. In July of 2015 had to have a new control panel. In July of 2016 had to replace evaporator coil and $600 of leaked Freon (only coil covered under warranty not the thousands of labor or Freon). In August of 2016 another Freon leak. In October of 2017 another hole in the evaporator coil and leak of all Freon, had to have a new coil and new Freon. Again only the coil itself under warranty, still had to pay $2500 in labor and Freon.

Lennox is unresponsive to our attempts to contact them. We have been trying to talk to them since the first incident and no one will reply!!! Lennox is a bunch of crooks and they do not honor their work. We have almost paid for our air conditioning system twice and we have only lived in our home for almost 3 years. Their BBB rating is a complete joke. How can you have an A+ rating when 80% of your comments are negative!

Jim of Clayton, NC Verified Reviewer
Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I have had to replace my air handler coil 3 times in the last 4.5 years. I am very disappointed, angry, and financially out for the cost for the last coil replacement. My service tech showed me the coil which was rusty, had the seals disconnected and falling away from the coils, and had a part that controls the refrigerant flow stuck at 50% flow. I called Lennox to seek help in making their Heat Pump new in 2013 work properly. Finally a Customer Affairs representative (Maria **) called me and asked to talk through my situation. I returned the call a few hours later but no answer. For 5 weeks I have called and left messages, sent emails, called the main line and was transferred to the representative's number, and even asked if anybody else would help me... All in vain. No return calls, no follow up, no emails, no nothing.

I believe Lennox provides quality HVAC products but they have no customer satisfaction focus of any kind. I will never purchase or advise any of my friends, business associates, or family to even consider Lennox. What does it take to help a valued customer address and resolve a product issue? Evidently that is way too much effort for Lennox Customer affairs...

Pamela of Mount Pleasant, SC Verified Reviewer
Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

Smith's Heating and Air in Charleston, SC installed the Lennox HVAC system in my new home. For 10 months I've been trying to get them to do something about the noise of the heat pump. They have come to the house, but have done nothing. I contacted the manufacturer (Lennox) 3 times and they have not responded to my complaint. This is a warrantied unit. I filed a complaint with the state's consumer protection agency and Smith's has not responded to them. Lennox was suppose to come to the house about a month ago, but canceled the appt. Smith's contacted me a week ago and wanted to set up another date, but I will be out of the country. Smith's has not gotten back to me to try to schedule another date. This unit has a 10/15 year warranty, but what good does a warranty do if both the manufacturer and dealer ignore you.

John of Biloxi, MS Verified Reviewer
Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

Purchased a Lennox AC unit for the house 06-2015. In 10-2016 had to have 3 lbs. refrigerant added. In 07-2017 the unit quit cooling. Service company called. Found 2 leaks in the coil. Had to replace coil. Unit has always been very loud. Will never buy Lennox products again. Very unsatisfactory.

Carol of Charlotte, NC Verified Reviewer
Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

Outdoor unit was making noise and was told there was a leak. Coil may or may not need replacing. Looking at $900 to $1600 worth of repairs for a 2 year old unit. This is absolutely absurd. How is Lennox allowed to even sell such sub-standard units? Apparently there is a class action lawsuit against them. I hope they go bankrupt paying back everyone who purchased their products in good faith only to have them fail so quickly. What a lemon!!!

GREG of Williamston, SC Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

The unit that is in my home is now 16 months old. (3 ton Heat Pump) The main component of operation for cooling and heating the compressor began leaking all of the refrigerant out due to a crack in the head of the compressor at the suction outlet side. The part is under warranty. However, Lennox is and will not assist in covering the cost of the labor and refrigerant cost. You would think that since it a failure due to a manufacturer defect as my repair technician advised that they would as a one time gesture cover this expense. However, they say that "parts fail and that is why we cover the parts only." I thought that Lennox took care of their customers better than that, but come to find out no. They keep telling me, "you should buy a maintenance agreement with your service company." After the 4900.00 expense of the install who can afford the extra money out of pocket.

So, with that being said, if a consumer is reading this review, I would recommend that you purchase another brand because Lennox does not care enough about their name or their customers to step up and take care of issues like this when it is clearly a manufacturer's defect in the design of their compressor. I have attached the model and serial of the unit as proof...

Eric of Pawleys Island, SC Verified Reviewer
Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

I am the second homeowner of this 5 Ton heat pump system. The system was nestled in 2011 and the installer failed to install a drip rail to contain the water inside the air handler. The design for my particular air handler (model CBX27UH-060-230-6-03 ) used a drain pan that did not cover the length of the internal coil and the drip rail was added only to this model to catch the excess water and direct it to the short drain pan. The unit had a maintenance program for over 3 years from One Hour heating and cooling and never revealed the problem.

I have included picture of the internal workings of the air handler. Since I was the second homeowner Lennox would not warranty any of this damage. The company that installed the unit is no longer in business so I can't go after them for any help. The company who I paid for the maintenance program refuses to take any responsibility. So I am removing the Lennox system and replacing it with a new system even though it is only 6 yrs old because I can't get any assistance with my issues from anyone.

Maureen of Coral Gables, FL Verified Reviewer
Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

On a two-year-old unit after a power outage it would not start and it has a defective fan motor. Lennox is not standing behind their warranty. Wanted to charge us $800 to install a generic fan because they claim their company has no parts anywhere in United States.

William of Scottsdale, AZ Verified Reviewer
Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

Purchased a new AC from Costco/Parker and sons in Scottsdale AZ on July of 2012 for $6500.00. The unit suddenly failed on August17, 2017 with large leak of 410 refrigerant from outside cooling fins and from piping. According to contractor this problem is common with Lennox units in Phoenix AZ area. QA/QC of unit is poor especially in cooling fins on outside unit. Poor construction of metal on fins allows leaks and unit failure. The part is under warranty BUT labor to install new part is $1688.00. I am very disappointed with quality of this AC unit.

T of Tucson, AZ Verified Reviewer
Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

We bought a new Lennox Ac/gas heat unit Model 13GEP3007. In less than 2 years, coil developed freon leak. Service tech quoted me $1000 for labor alone which we were responsible for and stated that a new coil part is under warranty. With the recommendations that Lennox was a superior built product, we really were upset that such a new unit was already needing expensive repairs. Tech told us that the Lennox coils were of poor quality and that there were a lot of complaints regarding this repair. He told us of a class action lawsuit against Lennox for this defect.

Diana of North Myrtle Beach, SC Verified Reviewer
Original review: July 28, 2017

1 week after the builders warranty was up had to replace air handler motor which cost me $449 for labor and then again 9 months later a circuit board shorted out on heat pump which cost me an additional $479 of pocket. Called Lennox customer service and got no satisfaction. Would never even purchase a Lennox product again.

Ying of Brentwood, TN Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: July 21, 2017

I bought this newly-built house on Dec 27, 2013, installed with two brand new Lennox whole AC/Heating Units, one for upstairs and one for downstairs. The unit for upstairs stopped working this past Sunday, 7/16/2017. Completely unexpectedly, and without any warning at all, there was no air conditioning in the upper floor of our house, and this is in the middle of summer, so it is highly inconvenient and uncomfortable for us. We could not get someone to come out to take a look at the AC unit until the next day, and we discovered that there was a copious amount of refrigerant leaking from the condenser coil of the broken unit. Due to the complexity and length of the condenser coil, we were unable to pin down the leak, and it still requires further work. The house was brand new, and the units were also completely new, so that means this unit has broken in less than 4 years.

This is absolutely unacceptable, and as a customer of Lennox, a supposedly high-quality company, I am very disappointed. I expect better, and additionally, I was promised better. For comparison, in our old house, which was built a much longer time ago, the AC/heating system was from a small company and worked perfectly for 11 years. An old unit working for 11 years versus a new unit only working less than 4 years is ridiculous. There is a statement in your website: A life with Lennox comfort systems is as close to perfect as it can get. However, we are experiencing 85F-90F in our home at upstairs because Lennox AC unit stops working due to defect of condenser coil. I can only conclude that Lennox is inadequate and making false promises about the quality of its machinery.

We were told an estimated labor fee to replace the deficient condenser coil would be around $1,200.00. Again, this is a shocking amount to pay for such a new unit. Our warranty covers labor for only the 1st year, and parts for only 5 years. The original home builder, Pulte Company, chose the Kaiser Company as a dealer and installer. Due to the contract, I also didn't have any choice in choosing the installation company for the Lennox AC/heating system, and furthermore, I was not given the possibility of purchasing any other kind of warranty. I called Lennox customer service department and explained our situation, ask for extended warranty program, they refuse us to join now.

They don't have any confidence about their products, plus terrible customer service. They play the trick between home builder and dealer, sell large amount of defect/under quality products to home builder and dealer, the homebuilder didn't give homeowner any information about extended warranty information (10 year cover labor and parts). Later on homeowner will pay large amount money for the repairment of Lennox defect products. Lennox should close their manufacturing!! I saw many customer complaints AC unit broken in less than 3-4 year, I couldn't believe such horrible company still exist in USA!!!

Phyllis of Hampstead, MD Verified Reviewer
Original review: July 21, 2017

The Lennox a/c system in our home is 2 years old. We had to recently replace the TXV valve and was also told we need a new compressor. Both of these parts have a 5 year warranty. Nowhere were told that the new compressor will only have a 1 year warranty because it is a replacement. Because it is a new compressor IMO it should have a 5 year warranty. The same problem occurred with a family member's Lennox system that is only 5 years old. I thought Lennox was a top of the line a/c system. I do not feel that way anymore and will never recommend to anyone else.

Karen of Lincoln, NE Verified Reviewer
Original review: July 17, 2017

We had a Lennox air conditioner installed several years ago. Immediately, we noticed that it would take an hour or more for the temperature in our house to drop one degree. We own a split-level, so it has nothing to do with the size of our home. We had several people come out to inspect the unit and we're told there was nothing wrong with it. This continues to be a problem. We went out of town for 2 nights and turned the air to 79. We have now been home for 3 hours and it still hasn't dropped the temp AT ALL!!! I would not recommend this brand to anyone.

Lennox expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Lennox began in 1895 as a one-man operation building and selling steel furnaces and has since transformed into one of the largest manufacturers of air conditioners in North America. Lennox introduced central air conditioning systems to its customers in 1952. Now based in Texas, Lennox maintains manufacturing and distribution facilities all over North America. Find their products through a network of over 6,000 independent Lennox Dealers.

• SunSource solar energy system: Reduce heating and cooling costs by introducing solar energy into your home with the SunSource® solar energy system. Solar energy is a clean and abundant source of energy that can save you money on energy costs and allow you to apply for federal tax credits. Surplus energy from your air conditioning system can be sold or used to power other appliances or electronics in your home.

• Financing assistance: You can get a quality air conditioner even if you can’t afford it all up front. Lennox offers consumers 28 different loan types for air conditioners, including no payment, no interest options. Plans are available for most levels of credit.

• Energy Star: Lennox offers several air conditioners that have been certified by the federal government as Energy Star qualified. This means they are environmentally friendly and reduce energy consumption.

• Zone control: Lennox’s iHarmony zoning system empowers homeowners to control the temperature in different areas of the home. Control the temperature of different zones with your phone, tablet or other web-enabled devices.

• Thermostat recycling: Some older homes still have mercury-containing thermostats installed. These are dangerous for the environment and for people who may inadvertently wind up with mercury in their food or water supply. Lennox participates in a program run by the Thermostat Recycling Corporation, which is a nonprofit organization that facilitates the collection and disposal of mercury around the United States.

• Best for: homeowners interested in saving money by investing in solar technology and those who are interested in zone control.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs