1.18/5
Based on 55 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

332 Lennox Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 18, 2018

I just paid Jordan's Heating and Cooling service $200.00 for refrigerant and they said they would have to come back and run a test for a leak. That will be another expense. This unit is only 2 years old. I'm just sick about it and surely wish I had never bought a Lennox.

Original review: June 14, 2018

In July 2014 we purchased a Lennox HVAC fully convinced we were getting the best on the market. Two years later the coil was leaking and had to be replaced. Now, two years after the coil was replaced and 4 years after purchasing the unit, the coil is being replaced again. Our repairman says his company is no longer carrying the Lennox brand because of such poor quality. We have one more year on the warranty. When this coil has to be replaced, we will be purchasing another and, hopefully, better brand of HVAC. I cannot express my disappointment. Several thousand $$$ for a very poor quality product. Personally, the least Lennox could do at this point is extend our warranty.

Get expert buying tips about Air Conditioners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 13, 2018

My Lennox air conditioner stopped working 1 year and 1 day after installation. Lennox's defective components cost me $930 in labor costs 1 year after installation. They were unwilling to assist with this cost despite the obvious cause of the problem, their defective parts. Their representative held claim to their lack of responsibility as it applies to labor, labor cost (this situation) would not be an issue if their a/c unit was of better quality with a longer life expectancy than 1 year.

Original review: June 13, 2018

My wife and I purchased a Lennox SLP98UHV heater, 507345-01 iComfort Thermostat and a XC20 Elite Series air conditioner thru Costco and had the units installed by Mechanical Concepts Solutions (MCS) from Albuquerque, NM. We have had nothing but problems since the units were installed on April 24, 2017. MCS has sent a technician out to our house on 6 different occasions, 05/02/2017, 06/17/2017, 06/30/2017, 07/09/2017, 03/19/2018, 06/04/2018 and MCS needs to come out again today 06/13/2018 to get the unit running again. Each time a MCS technician runs test, resets the units and turns it back on. Not once have they provided a solution for the problem.

The technicians are very polite and knowledgeable. They report the problem to their bosses but that is as far as it goes. A Lennox customer representative has contacted me and asked permission to access our system remotely and investigate the problem. We are still having the problem and my wife and I are regretting spending roughly $18,000.00 + for what we are told is a Cadillac model. I am totally dissatisfied with the Lennox brand and MCS the installer. I am looking into legal ways to get satisfaction. I work hard for my money and should not be treated this way. The only reason I gave a one star rating is because of the technicians, otherwise I would not have chosen a any stars.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I bought a whole new AC/Heat system in July, 2014. In May, 2017, noticed the System was not cooling. They had to replace the coils, and said it just happens sometimes. The coils were under warranty, but not the service call to diagnose the problem, the Freon or the leak detection. I discovered a previous lawsuit for coil failure, when looking for the recommended maintenance schedule today. There was not any information on this recommended schedule included in my owner's info, but there is a disclaimer that "Failure to provide maintenance per Lennox instructions will void this warranty." I will never purchase another Lennox AC.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lennox?

Original review: June 11, 2018

I paid 8800.00 for a new Lennox unit. Needless to say that after 2 years this unit has stopped working. The dealer that sold me this unit said that a "valve" was the problem. Fixed the valve, still not working. I have asthma and live in Florida and needless to say it is hot. I have been without air for about a week now while they are trying to figure out what is wrong with this unit. To make things even worse I have to pay the service company that is fixing it 600.00 because the parts may be covered but the service isn't. I have never dealt with such a not so nice company. Beware and really do your homework when buying an AC unit.

Original review: May 31, 2018

We bought a Lennox air conditioner about 5 years ago now, and it never worked properly from day one. There are a ton of complaints about Lennox online so consumers beware. This was the brand Care Heating and Cooling in Columbus recommended. I blame them for not taking their job as to product reliability seriously. We have spent more in repairs than the unit cost and Care has been horrible as well as Lennox. If you want a reputable manufacturer and reseller don't chose either Care or Lennox.

Original review: May 29, 2018

I bought my new construction home in 2015. In the first year, my Lennox evaporator coil went out due to a leak. These were the defective copper coils involved in the class action lawsuit. Luckily I didn't have to pay any labor costs as these were still covered under my home builder warranty. Now in May 2018, the second coil went out, another large leak. The part is still covered under the 5-year warranty, but service/labor/refrigerant costs amounted to over $1,000.00. I don't think I'm qualified to get reimbursement under the lawsuit for multiple reasons. Lennox isn't making this right and they continue to produce defective coils. They have no concern for the consumers. I don't know why the BBB continues to back this company when most of their reviews are negative. How many more times will I have to replace this crappy part and pay for labor costs? Bad company and bad business practices. I'm spreading the word to every place/person I can think of.

Original review: May 24, 2018

We moved in our new town home in April, 2010. In June, 2018, a little over 8 years, our coil began leaking freon; two different places on bottom front corners. We were told it needed replacement. At first the technician informed me it wasn’t under warranty, then later I was told (after I read the warranty) it was under warranty but labor and freon would not be covered. I took pictures of the rusted coil around all edges of coil. The coil, itself aluminum, had galvanized steel surrounding all edges of the coil, approx 1” wide. This was rusted and metal was crumbling from rust, around ALL edges. Condensation from coil and humidifier contributed to rust plus the fact it was steel, not aluminum. Was replaced by dealer on 5/24/18 with a complete aluminum coil, no steel any where, and now even tubes going in and out of coil are aluminum; no steel anywhere. Old coil is a defective product and labor and freon should be covered under warranty!!!

Original review: May 24, 2018

We had our working 25 year old HVAC system replaced with a Lennox system by FH Furr around 5 years ago. Last year when it was serviced we complained that the unit did not appear to keep up. The servicer added some refrigerant and said it just needed to be topped off. He did not charge me and I thought that we pretty nice. Once again this season I noticed it was not keeping up and when the company came to service it I was told that it needed some more refrigerant and went on to add 5 lbs at a cost of over $350.00. They suggested that we do a leak test at a cost of $220. The results showed that the indoor coil has a leak and I am now told that the cost to replace will be $1500.00.

I called Lennox and they suggested I contact their consumer affairs department. Good luck getting someone on the phone. On hold for 3 hours and still told all consultants on the phone. They probably have one person. So much for being proactive to replace a perfectly good system that gave us no trouble with a new one.

Original review: May 21, 2018

Our home is less than 5 years old and has 3 Lennox units. One has lost all refrigerant and the other two are low and barely cooling. The repair company said all 3 have leaking coils. It was not mentioned that Lennox has an ongoing issue initially. The coils will be covered under warranty but the labor to install and the cost of the refrigerant is not and will run approximately $3,000. I mentioned I had read about the ongoing problem with Lennox coils. The technician informed me the replacement coils will be the same defective material as the ones being replaced.

Lennox is changing to an aluminum design but not for warranty replacements. The coils we are receiving will only be covered through the original warranty period. Based on this information and the history to date I am speculating we will be having the exact same issue in about 3-4 years and be faced with an even larger bill to pay for aluminum coils, installation labor and refrigerant. Has there been any secondary lawsuits filed against Lennox to pay for labor and refrigerant costs?

Original review: April 25, 2018

We had a 2 1/2 ton AC unit that was installed when our house was built in 2005. Decided to have it replaced in 2016 as we wanted a little larger unit. DelAir Services sold us a Lennox unit and it was installed in 5/16. In January of this year we had to have them come out and they had to replaced Condenser fan motor, they had to come out two weeks later to replace a fan blade. Well lo and behold on 4/24 came home and house was rather warm. Thermostat was set for 72 but room temp showed 77. AC unit kept on running for three hours. Called for service.

DelAir showed up today 4/25 and the tech found that the evap coil was leaking. This unit is only 23 months old. Come to find out that Lennox has had a problem with the EVAC coil and apparently are not standing behind the machines that they make. Thinking about hiring a lawyer to work with us to get a new unit installed. We don't have a lot of money to throw away. We do have an extended warranty, thank God. Anyone out there help us.

Original review: April 16, 2018

We moved into our new house in July, 2016. Last week I had our two Lennox units serviced only to be told one of them had a freon leak at the evaporator coil. Parts are covered under the warranty but labor isn't. $800 on a unit 1 year and 9 months old, serviced per Lennox's schedule, and used moderately. How can it possibly be that after all the legal trouble Lennox has faced, they still sell defective products? DON'T BUY LENNOX PRODUCTS.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I recently joined the class action settlement re evaporative coils and it turned out to be a joke for consumers. Lennox made out like a bandit, which begs the question whoever represented Lennox customers must have been in on the deal. The settlement is ludicrous. You get no relief from bearing the labor costs of your coil failure unless you’re still under your authorized contractor’s own warranty. Otherwise, you get nothing from the Lennox settlement to reimburse costs to replace the original coil.

What the settlement offers is a measly $500 against a SECOND failure, where labor could easily be $1000 or more. You have to wait for a second failure to occur on the coil again before you get that benefit from the settlement. Additionally, the first coil replacement gets an expanded warranty which is in reality a reduced warranty of five years. In my case I had eight years remaining on my Lennox unit including the original coil. Ordinarily, the replacement coil would resume whatever warranty period was left (in my case 8 years). But now I have only five years on that coil, meaning I lost 3 years of the original warranty as my reward for joining the class action. The third party managing the settlement has yet to answer my query as to how this was ever viewed as an attempt to make the customer whole again from a company’s screw up in using widely-known inferior coils.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I bought a 2 ton Lennox unit in 2011 that the installer told me was energy efficient, (it wasn't). This unit has never ran right. Loses it freon... Total frigging JUNK. It has not been ran but about half the time and most of the time it is broke down. I have called for repair 7 times. Today I decided I had enough when the labor once again is another 830.00 bill. Going to replace the unit... All I can promise is it will not be a RUDD or a LENNOX. Both are JUNK in my book.

Original review: April 10, 2018

In 2013 my 24 year old York HVAC died after providing great service. The plumbing company I used recommended Lennox. Six months after it was installed there was a refrigerant leak. Last month wires inside the unit rubbed together and shorted the system. Of course, Lennox will replace the parts because they're under warranty but I had to pay $500 for labor. When I called Lennox, they blamed it on the installation. I will never purchase a Lennox product again.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I am a Lennox HVAC dealer and have been trying to reach customer service for a year! Yes... you heard that right! A whole year! I have a customer with a ductless mini split that hasn't worked for a year and we have tried over 20 times to reach the tech support. I waited for over 2 hours one day and still no one will pick up the phone. Same result with any of their junk products! I have now been on hold over 45 minutes and no one will pick up! Absolutely no customer service! Never... Ever buy a Lennox product! Trust me... I've been in the HVAC industry over 40 years and I have never seen a company fall this bad!

Original review: April 8, 2018

Heads-up! Lennox 5-Ton Signature Series continues to leak refrigerant. Licensed Sears service technician stated this is a common problem with Lennox; repair is not possible and only can be corrected by replacing the indoor air handler coil, costing over $3,300. We paid over $7,000 for this unit, and all the electric, pipes, and sump pump were already in place and in great condition, and not replaced. We are now shopping for any brand other than Lennox!

Original review: April 4, 2018

Lennox was involved in a class action lawsuit involving their evaporator coils. They settled out with consumers however, they continued to sell units with the defective coils so those of us who were unfortunate enough to purchase a Lennox after the settlement, we not only have defective units that Lennox will not cover costs for and can't join the settlement. My own two units failed within 18 months. I, too, was advised by Lennox Consumer Affairs that I should have purchased a "Labor Warranty" - and I pointed out to them that I was never offered a "Labor Warranty" - not by Lennox, not by my builder, not by the installing dealer, not by the servicing dealer.

Probably because they all knew that the units were defective and they stood to make a profit charging me labor to repair the units, while they would lose money selling me a "Labor Warranty." I do have a "Maintenance Warranty" but all that does is provide regular maintenance on the units twice a year, it does not cover the cost of replacing defective parts. I am reaching out to attorneys to see if there is a chance of another lawsuit. I would advise everyone else to look for a "Product Liability Attorney" in your area. Let them know there are hundreds if not thousands of us out here who have been ripped off.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

In 2009 I purchased a Lennox Elite Signature Series XP19 4 Ton Heat Pump with Air Handler CBX32MV-48-230. WHAT A MISTAKE IT WAS. I did purchase the 10 year parts and 10 year labor warranty. However the unit has been constantly serviced. Today it was diagnosed that the compressor froze up. This past summer it was down for 2 weeks during June when it needed the main heat pump control board replaced and the main fan motor replaced. That was the second time that the fan motor was replaced. Do you think that maybe the Lennox engineering team needs a makeover? I do.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

Well I still have this heap of junk, still troublesome one thing after another. Lennox still sends Parts and I still pay shipping and labor. When it fails, I get an email every time. I keep those emails for my records so one day I just might run across Dave Lennox in person and I can show all of them to him as I take those bib overalls and wrap them around his neck and I’ll take that gay ass hat, he wears, and cinch it around his ** while I show all those problematic emails to him. PLEASE PEOPLE, READ all the comments that us suckers have posted about a LENNOX JUNK UNIT. Don’t waste your money or time on this brand. YOU WILL REGRET IT!! I promise!!!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

In May, 2014 we purchased and had installed in our home 2 Lennox MS8 Single Zone Heat Pumps. We could not install a normal central heat and air system because our ceilings are too low for the ductwork. Everything was working well until August 2016 when the drain hose in our bedroom that drains water to the outside of the house backed up and water started dripping into our bedroom on to our furniture and new flooring. We were not told when the units were installed that this was a possibility and we never expected it. My husband sucked out the drain hose and placed screening over the end of the hose hoping to keep this from happening again.

After a while I noticed what I thought was mold growing in the unit that had the water backup problem. I purchased a mold testing kit and sent it in and sure enough the test results were positive for mold. I called the company and explained what had happened and that we had mold growing in our unit and was told there was nothing they could do about it because that was not covered by the 5 year warranty. We called the installer who finally came out and cleaned the unit on 8-4-16 at a cost to us of $103.50. The unit in the back room stopped blowing air at all and we had to get that unit cleaned out too. There are two air filter screens in each unit and I diligently keep them cleaned but that still did not keep the one in the back from getting clogged and stop blowing air correctly.

When the installer to clean the back unit he said that the screen filters that come with these units are pretty much useless. Wow, I wish he had told us that prior to us paying him $4,631.00 for the two units in our main house. I really wanted Mitsubishi brand heat pumps but the man that did our installation said he only had Lennox. We have a call into our installer as of today to come out, once again and clean the two units in our main house. He has not returned our call. I am very disappointed in these systems.

If you are considering getting a heat pump for your home DON'T BUY LENNOX! In January 2017 our hot water heater leaked and we had to have all our floors removed and replaced because we could not get the same flooring we had down. When they removed the bedroom flooring under the air conditioner that had leaked into the house there was mold on the floor and the water had also ran into the bathroom causing mold under that flooring also. I have uploaded the receipt for the purchase of these units along with pictures of the mold in the unit that had the water back up. Image 3062 is the mold that was under the flooring where the unit leaked onto the floor.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I bought an expensive outside unit for a new home. The unit had a rebate as part of the purchase. Rebates normally come in the form of a check which can be deposited. In Lennox case it is provided on a debit card that is only good for 6 months. The card states that it is active but there is an expiration that is not noticeable. If you don't use it on time the funds disappear and the website that I used to verify says it cannot be reissued. I saw another complaint about the 2.95 cash fee but this is more significant. In this case Lennox can reclaim rebate money that it owes a customer. Be wary and use it fast if you get one. This is a great business scheme for a business to take money that it owes back and add to their bottom line. I do wonder how many others are affected. I plan on adding this complaint to as many sites as possible to ensure that the public knows about this issue!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

Had difficulty connecting my Lennox iComfort WiFi thermostat to WiFi. Melissa from technical support informed me that Comcast updated their firmware in Oct 2017. She took me through step by step on the thermostat and on the Comcast Gateway settings, and was very pleasant and knowledgeable. The thermostat now connects to the WiFi. The only downside is that I will burn fewer calories not running back and forth to the thermostat.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

HVAC product quality is the worst I have seen. This company uses Indian R&D center and their product design is poorest in the industry. The AC makes loud noise, the heater igniter goes bad every year!

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

Have an 8 year old Lennox Heat Pump. Stopped working. Called repair service, who ordered part online with rush shipping. When it did not arrive when supposed to, repairman called. Part was not in stock in that warehouse. Was told that no one does anything about it until someone calls. Repairman then called and was told that it would take two days to enter it into the system, then it would take two days to ship (wouldn't do it next day air). Didn't seem to care that we haven't had a furnace in November for a week, and now it's going to be almost two weeks.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

New home built by Schumacher Homes, 2017. Installed new Lennox unit before we ever moved in. The first day of installation, the furnace was running and would not shut off, it was hotter in the house than it was outside in July. We turned the power off to the unit. We moved into our new home at the end of July and two days later the AC unit quit. Two service calls later and new parts and it was working fine until last week when the emergency heat kicked on and would not shut off, the temperature outside was 62 degrees, the emergency heat should never have turned on. The thermostat was set to 66 degrees and the temperature inside the house was 73 degrees and climbing. We had to shut off the breakers once again.

We are not complaining about the company who installed the unit, they are wonderful about getting our system running properly. We are warning anyone thinking about installing and Lennox to reconsider. I want a new system installed, because the one that I have now is 3 months old and I have had 5 service calls already, parts replaced, thermostat replaced and lots of aggravation. We now refer to it as our "Lennox Lemon". Very dissatisfied customer.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

Lennox issued me $350 rebate in the form of a prepaid Visa card. It is intended for use to purchase products from retailers. That means I lose out on bonus points from the American Express card that I would normally use, thus it costs me money to get my rebate. I can use the card to withdraw cash from Visa ATM's, but Visa charges a $2.95 fee for each transaction, in addition to the ATM fee. No matter how I use the prepaid card, it costs me money! Robbery used to be against the law.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

We moved into a new home in December of 2014. The home had a Lennox Air Handler installed for AC/Heat. We began having problems within 6 months! In June of 2015 had to have a new controller. In July of 2015 had to have a new control panel. In July of 2016 had to replace evaporator coil and $600 of leaked Freon (only coil covered under warranty not the thousands of labor or Freon). In August of 2016 another Freon leak. In October of 2017 another hole in the evaporator coil and leak of all Freon, had to have a new coil and new Freon. Again only the coil itself under warranty, still had to pay $2500 in labor and Freon.

Lennox is unresponsive to our attempts to contact them. We have been trying to talk to them since the first incident and no one will reply!!! Lennox is a bunch of crooks and they do not honor their work. We have almost paid for our air conditioning system twice and we have only lived in our home for almost 3 years. Their BBB rating is a complete joke. How can you have an A+ rating when 80% of your comments are negative!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I have had to replace my air handler coil 3 times in the last 4.5 years. I am very disappointed, angry, and financially out for the cost for the last coil replacement. My service tech showed me the coil which was rusty, had the seals disconnected and falling away from the coils, and had a part that controls the refrigerant flow stuck at 50% flow. I called Lennox to seek help in making their Heat Pump new in 2013 work properly. Finally a Customer Affairs representative (Maria **) called me and asked to talk through my situation. I returned the call a few hours later but no answer. For 5 weeks I have called and left messages, sent emails, called the main line and was transferred to the representative's number, and even asked if anybody else would help me... All in vain. No return calls, no follow up, no emails, no nothing.

I believe Lennox provides quality HVAC products but they have no customer satisfaction focus of any kind. I will never purchase or advise any of my friends, business associates, or family to even consider Lennox. What does it take to help a valued customer address and resolve a product issue? Evidently that is way too much effort for Lennox Customer affairs...

Lennox expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Lennox began in 1895 as a one-man operation building and selling steel furnaces and has since transformed into one of the largest manufacturers of air conditioners in North America. Lennox introduced central air conditioning systems to its customers in 1952. Now based in Texas, Lennox maintains manufacturing and distribution facilities all over North America. Find their products through a network of over 6,000 independent Lennox Dealers.

• SunSource solar energy system: Reduce heating and cooling costs by introducing solar energy into your home with the SunSource® solar energy system. Solar energy is a clean and abundant source of energy that can save you money on energy costs and allow you to apply for federal tax credits. Surplus energy from your air conditioning system can be sold or used to power other appliances or electronics in your home.

• Financing assistance: You can get a quality air conditioner even if you can’t afford it all up front. Lennox offers consumers 28 different loan types for air conditioners, including no payment, no interest options. Plans are available for most levels of credit.

• Energy Star: Lennox offers several air conditioners that have been certified by the federal government as Energy Star qualified. This means they are environmentally friendly and reduce energy consumption.

• Zone control: Lennox’s iHarmony zoning system empowers homeowners to control the temperature in different areas of the home. Control the temperature of different zones with your phone, tablet or other web-enabled devices.

• Thermostat recycling: Some older homes still have mercury-containing thermostats installed. These are dangerous for the environment and for people who may inadvertently wind up with mercury in their food or water supply. Lennox participates in a program run by the Thermostat Recycling Corporation, which is a nonprofit organization that facilitates the collection and disposal of mercury around the United States.

• Best for: homeowners interested in saving money by investing in solar technology and those who are interested in zone control.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs