Call toll free
1.59/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Recognized as a top appliance brand for 100 years, Kenmore brings a new level of performance with appliances that deliver time savings, convenience and great results. From quickly cooling drinks to laundry loads completed in less time, Kenmore is the most awarded brand in the industry.

The Kenmore brand understands its customers’ wants and needs. Being in the lives of over 100 million Americans, performance innovations are a top priority of Kenmore product development. Ongoing engagement with our customers before, during and after purchases will help us maintain the honor of industry leader.

Kenmore Appliances Video
Kenmore Appliances Gallery (1)
B-BBB Rating
View More View More

2166 Kenmore Washers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

This is my first experience with the front loading washing machine and dryer, but it's definitely not looking good for them. I just brought my girlfriend's washer and dryer home from her kids place and the washing machine needed to be looked at. After going through everything it ended up being the piece on the back of the drum (The spider gear) That attaches it to the bearing had completely rotted off. The piece is made of a cast iron material attached to the chrome drum. I just wish I could post some pics here of the condition of this piece, it was brought home to replace the old stuff I have. Anyway that is my warning/rant. I would not recommend the Kenmore AST 2 to anyone.

Get expert buying tips about Washers and Dryers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I bought this machine brand new from Sears Outlet in Tinley Park, IL. I'm reading reviews now and wish I'd found these reviews prior to purchasing. My machine was purchased in August 2018. I'm the only one washing anything so it hasn't been used excessively. I had a repair tech out here in November because it started leaking some kind of clear oily liquid. The tech came, looked at it and said the leak was an excess of "normal lubrication" done at the factory. He cleaned everything off, dumped the excess lube and told me if I see any more leakage to call again. He also told me to put a paper towel underneath to see if it was continuing to leak.

Well here it is less than 1 month later (December) and now on the paper towel, I see black drops of oil in addition to more clear oily liquid. And, yes like other reviewers mentioned, it's not rinsing well. I noticed white residue on a couple pairs of black pants and a few dark colored shirts prior to the first time the tech came, but I dismissed it as something I was doing, or not doing. Fast forward to now, I'd washed some brand new dark-colored sheets and pillowcases and there is white residue on all of them! That's what prompted me to research a little and now finding these reviews, I wish I'd researched prior to purchasing it. The not rinsing well seems to be a common issue. So this, on top of leaking oil/lube I'm not pleased. I want my money back Sears! This is horrible. Is this what I'm going to have to deal with for the remainder time I have this machine? Shame on you. Signed, an unhappy consumer.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

We bought a Kenmore 600 series early in 2018 after selling our home and leaving the wonderful 22 year old Maytag washing machine behind. What a mistake. This new Sears product is the epitome of young people not thinking through what they are trying to accomplish. To be more specific, these HE machines are designed to save water. But they do not clean clothes because the water level is too low. How is that an improvement? And what if you bump the 'power' button by mistake... Out goes the water. How ridiculous.

Often our clothes are left with detergent residue from not getting dissolved and we have to wash them again. We've used more water. What I have found useful when washing clothes is to pause the machine and add a few gallons of water, let it spin a few minutes to get the soap to disperse with the added water, then pause the machine again and literally unplug the machine and allow the clothes to soak an hour or so dependent on the degree of stains. If I could bring back my old Maytag I would but that deal is done. Engineers, and I use that word lightly, have screwed the pooch.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

The hubless model ties anything long (pants, shorts, sheets) into knots. Bought it for the price and water efficiency, but regret the hubless. De-wrinkling the tangled mess is a must by dryer or line dry plus iron.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

We bought a 700 series washer in September 2017. We've had the tech out twice because it WILL NOT RINSE THE SOAP OUT OF GARMENTS. We were told to only use heavy duty or white cycles with double rinse, softner and prewash. This doesn't work either. We've had Kenmore for 50 plus years in our household and if I could sell it with a clear conscience I would in a heartbeat! I realize Sears is having financial problems but as a minimum they should recall these machines and fix them somehow. If not I think from reading others reviews and knowing several that have the same problems with the 700 series there is bound to be a class suit considered.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kenmore Appliances?

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

We’ve had to replace the same part (hub) 5 times within the last 3 years. It will not spin the clothes. Do not buy this washer. It is junk. Our second washing machine is many years old and we never have to repair it. This is going in the garbage.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

We purchased the 500 series washer a little over 2 years ago, and have regretted it ever since. If I do anything bigger than a half load it becomes unbalanced and sounds like a helicopter landing in my house. When you pause to rebalance it takes a full ten minutes for the lid to open. I’ll never buy a Kenmore again...

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

Water level too low, doesn't cover clothes. I wash everything on "Bulky/Bedding" and that seems to help get clothes cleaner. Months back a sheet wrapped itself around the agitator and it snapped right off. Called Sears and was told they don't have anyone in our area, Sears transferred the call to another company who said they don't have anyone either and I should call Sears. Needless to say, it's still not fixed.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

This was purchased in 2016 for about $1300.00 USD. This year, 2018, an error began showing on the display, LE. The error is indicating a motor failure. Our 2010 Kenmore Toploader still works fine, never had any issues with it. Moving on, Kenmore telephone support was both unhelpful and rather brash in nature, whilst I was polite at all times. The representative was uncaring, had no positive or helpful information, other than to provide the cost of the motor at $62.73 USD. When I asked for the cost to install the motor, $99.99 to look at the washer and give an estimate on the repair cost!

Any company is fully aware of the time necessary to install a part such as a motor, yet Kenmore wants $99.99 to tell you how much they will bleed you for the repair. In short, this washer is an expensive pile of junk, so avoid Kenmore products, they are now low-quality junk for high-dollar prices. I wish I could say I am not an owner as they suckered me out of hard-earned money. I will never buy another Kenmore product in this lifetime.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I have had Kenmore products for over 45 years and loved them all. My old washer finally quit and I purchased a 600S Kenmore washer 6 months ago. It has a large tub and agitator, but the clothes come out tied in knots. Even with the deep water fill, there is never enough water in the wash. I end up using a double rinse. So where is the water saving? I get so mad every time I wash a load.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I've been reading the bad reviews on these washers since I own one with the same common problem of not cleaning clothes and leaving lint or detergent stuck to them. In theory, the washer determines how much water it needs and the user has no control of it. On my last load I opened the washer periodically and checked. The clothes were wet but not submerged at all. I felt around and there was only about two inches of water underneath the clothes. Over time, I took some photographs. It looked like almost nothing was changing. The same windbreaker and the same flannel sheet were visible in the same relationship to each other the whole time prior to the first spin.

I have had loads come out with DRY patches on some of the wash. I think the root problem is not enough water, so maybe it's just a sensor issue. I spoke to a technician and he says this is the nature of this design. It just isn't made to float the clothes and stir them up sufficiently to get them clean. I was wondering if anyone had actually gotten this problem resolved?

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

I've always had Kenmore washer and dryers. With little or no problems. I purchased the large capacity 700 series so I could wash bedding and large loads of jeans. With no agitator in the drum clothes and bedding does not rotate. When you load the clothes or bedding whatever is on top stays there and just floats around. Meanwhile what is on the bottom gets knotted up. What cloths are on top does not get clean. It seems the washer never adds enough water even if you select deep fill. The only loads it seems to work on are loads of white. IE white sock, underwear where the articles of clothing are small enough to get swished around. IMO this washer is the biggest p.o.s. The engineers that invented this washing system better go back to the drawing board.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

My last washer/dryer set was Maytag. Had it 13 yrs, never a service call. Left it in our house when we sold it. Went & bought new Kenmore set. After reading some of these reviews about Kenmore...always reliable, run forever etc. That's what I thought. Had Kenmore in past & was happy. Well...times have changed!! I'm not a "top of the line" person...paying for bells & whistles I'm not even going to use. This model 25132 is mid-line but doesn't have the big agitator, but 4.3 capacity for BIG loads.

1st mth I hated it...noisy, walking all over when it spun. Called them out. Serviceman said nothing wrong with it...was I using proper detergent. HE!! What!!! Detergent makes it vibrate. I think not. Married 50 yrs. Have never had a new washer do this. BTW was using proper detergent. 3 yr mark agitator plate went out...stripped. Replaced that. I'm sure all the shaking & vibrating had something to do with that. Now 3 mths later, vibrating sooo BAD hits the walls, turns sideways etc. Called out service again. Drum is bent again, I'm sure from all the banging around. Costly repair. So am just going to take repair money & buy new washer. But reading reviews, seems like every brand has some of the same issues. Repairman said Whirlpool has bought Maytag & other brands therefore everything has gone downhill. Really disappointing!!!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

I have had this machine for 3 years now and hate it every time I do laundry. The only function I can use is the timed dry. When I use the other functions, the machine doesn't dry the clothes or takes all day to dry one load. I called a technician to come and look over my dryer. This technician told me that the dry clothes are coming in contact with the sensor inside the machine next to the lint holder and left. I started putting smaller loads in the dryer and did not help. So I tried the timed dry to see if this would work and it does. But why spend money on a machine if you can only use one function? Useless is what I tell ya.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

I wasn't looking for a deal or cheap price on a washing machine. I liked the look of this machine and figured that since this is a popular name brand, I couldn't go wrong. Along with this machine being on sale. Well... I HATE this machine. Stresses me out EVERY SINGLE TIME I do laundry. This machine doesn't rinse the soap out of the clothes and I use liquid soap. I thought at first that I used too much, so I used less. Nope! I thought that maybe I need to use the two rinse function. Nope!

So now I am having to wait for my load to finish then turn around and use the rinse and spin function. Just to rinse the liquid soap from my clothes. Also, my towels smell horrible. I use soap with softener and liquid softener. No use... I thought maybe the machine needed to be cleaned. Used the clean function and still my towels smell horrible. When I first noticed these issues, I called for a repair person to come out and take a look at the machine. All he said was to use the 2 rinse function and left... DO NOT BUY THIS MACHINE.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Bought a new Kenmore washer in 2014. From the time we bought it it was throwing out a cafe F51 didn’t know what it was ( yes ignorance on my part) however if you turned it off and then back on it worked fine. Now it has stopped working completely! I call customer service and ask if it was under recall after telling the lady my name and address five different times. She said no. I ask to speak with her manager and she said she didn’t have one. Wow. I am talking to the owner of the company! So I said I would like to speak to a supervisor and reluctantly she placed me on hold and when the supervisor got on the phone she also stated that the washer was not under any recall.

I ask her how she would know that without knowing what the serial number and model numbers were and quickly she ask for them. Put me on a brief hold and wouldn’t you know it same answer! No recall. However it has been giving this code since we bought it. Their solution to the problem is that I pay $99 for someone to come out in a week and see if it is under recall and if not then I can pay to have a washer fixed that was broke when we bought it. Gotta love them! I am not a happy customer!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

I never wrote a review about anything ever, but have felt compelled to let everyone know never to buy this machine. After reading everyone’s reviews, I realized that I am not alone. 700s washing machine is a terrible purchase and a waste of money. I thought I was doing something wrong at first but after manipulating all the buttons, I still can’t seem to get ANY of my wash loads clean! Kenmore should replace all these bad washers or at least consider giving us a portion of our money back for all the aggravation it has caused. DO NOT PURCHASE 700s WASHER.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

We just purchased a Sears 500 series top loading washer. It does not get clothes clean. After washing whites, with bleach, towels used for baking with some chocolate batter stains did not get clean. Stains remained. The machine does not put enough water in the tub to get clothes clean. It does not agitate enough to get out spots. Autofill simply does a terrible job at assessing amount of water needed per load. There is no way for the consumer to add more water to a load. The machine fails on design and execution. If not buy this product.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

Bought a stacking front load Kenmore washer and dryer from Sears about 6 years ago and discovered DISTURBING issues! Extreme MOLD not only around the rubber door but throughout the washing device! So outraged because it is excessive black mold that could be harming my small children!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

We purchased Kenmore 600s series W&D March 2016. This is the most inefficient large product I ever purchased. Where do I begin. The first thing I did was change my mindset about how a High Efficiency washer operates. I got rid of the old way of thinking with the beloved Kenmore washers & dryers of years ago. Well, there is no comparison. The first problem was low water level and white streaks on dark clothing. I switched from powder detergent to liquid and that fixed the streaking issue. Now, as for water level. My first reaction was, why such a huge tub if it really cannot be used?

I used deep fill on occasion and I noticed the rinse cycle repeated itself 3 times before I realized what was happening. No more. I had to manipulate the controls to end that nonsense. The water levels were inconsistent even with same chosen options. I won't mention all the variations but this is what I found works best: I use the Delicates cycle w/ normal Soil. Unfortunately it doesn't spin well so I then use Rinse & Spin option but eliminate two rinses. Ugh! I hate this BS. Don't like that I can't lift the lid while it's filling. My friend has the same series and hates it! I heard these have a 10 yr lifespan. I can't wait for mine to kick! Never again... Buh Bye... Kenmore.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

NO AGITATOR AND NO HOT WATER!!! That is the only thing that cleans white sheets, blood stains and automotive grease. First HE I have owned and had to replace my old Kenmore of 25 years that I loved. Have to wash my clothes twice to even get them semi clean. Leaves soap residue and lint behind and I only use liquid soap. Want my money back and will never buy a Kenmore again. Good riddance Sears!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

My Kenmore top load washer 500 series is junk. Been dealing with this piece of crap for three years. My problem washer goes into spin mode and makes a load boom bounces hard shakes and stops spin. Very scary. Had two service tech out change the computer board and one changes the tub ring. Still having the same problem. Don't want to use it anymore because I fear it's going to break my floor tiles when in spin mode. It shakes and bounces so hard. It's a piece of crap. Going to call the service department once again if they don't fix it they find in their showroom don't buy this washer. It's crap.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

The washer would not complete the drain cycle. I read some troubleshooting advice and purchased a new lid locker for $50. It didn't fix the problem. I called Sears and they charge a $99 diagnostic fee to come out then labor and parts. I read reviews of others who had similar issues. Some had to have the same problem fixed multiple times within a year. It could be the motherboard console. To replace this piece is about $250 plus labor plus the diagnostics. I paid $598 for the washer in 2011. I think I might be better off just purchasing a Speed Queen or another washer with a better warranty rather than pour money into something unreliable.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Kenmore HE Washer Warranty Repair Disaster. Now entering the 4th month of this total **! 4 separate technician visits and the inability of the company to send proper parts (if they even exist) have made me no longer sorry to see Sears go the way of the dinosaur. The overseas call center has proven to be more frustration than help and all I can say is if this is the way of the future, we are all hosed. I currently have 3 tubs and other parts taking up space in my basement and garage and am no closer to a repair than when I called in April. I want this piece of crap out of my house along with the incorrect pile of parts they sent. No more SEARS for me.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Kenmore 700 series washing machine top load with glass lid - DO NOT buy this washing machine! It doesn't put enough water in to wash anything. I tried to wash 5 pair of VERY dirty jeans and they still had clumps of mud on them. I washed a load of towels and the towels absorbed all the water that was dispensed, and the Tide Pod was not completely dissolved! Even using "deep fill" it will dispense only 3" of water into the tub. I can get it to fill 3 times dispensing 3" of water each time if I stand there and hit the deep fill button, open and close the lid and who has time for that. I am having Sears come and replace this piece of junk Friday!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

We bought 2 Kenmore Stacked Washer/Dryer units (Gas) for our newly remodeled laundry room 3 1/2 years ago. One washer unit needed to be repaired after 2 years and now has broken down completely. The other washer unit is now having issues and the repair company told us it would be too expensive to repair and we’d be better off buying a new unit. So after 3 1/2 short years, we are forced to buy 2 new units!! We definitely will not be buying Kenmore but are going to try Whirlpool brand and pay $195 extra for the five year extended warranty since it seems things aren’t made to last anymore!! I will never buy Kenmore again!!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

Kenmore series100 - This washer just doesn’t get it done. Our first so called HE washer. The quality is poor. Too many plastic parts. The cleaning ability is abysmal. Even a small load comes out with lint and gunk not rinsed out. Whatever happened to old school washers? Why were they so bad that they don’t make them anymore? Our last machine was 25 years old before I repaired it myself. After 30 years the transmission gave up. Time for something new? Too bad! After 7 months the locking switch device malfunctioned. It was warranty and the repairman said, "Get ready to buy another machine in 5 years." What a joke.

Original review: July 25, 2018

Kenmore 600 series washer - The images here depict a small load in normal cycle. The clothes didn’t get cleaned and that is because they just sit in a small puddle of water. The ad for this washer claims it can wash 21 towels?? Try four. We have to wash loads more than once and quilts are washed three times. The deep fill option is a joke. The worst part is that you end up wasting so much water it’s ridiculous. Kenmore won't do anything about it. They offer a service repair. We have been taking pictures of different cycles and the end results. We have a big family and It infuriates me that we have to go to a laundromat to wash our clothes when we have a brand new washer at home.

Original review: July 24, 2018

This washer is excessively noisy. It makes many different noises and is totally annoying! The washer does not fill up with enough water even when you select "Deep Fill". You must put the detergent in before you load your clothes and this completely stained a new shirt. The fill rate is slow. If you need to stop the washer it does not cancel out properly. The cycle takes too long.

Original review: July 19, 2018

Kenmore HE top loader - I purchased this machine thinking it was way better than my older machine. I'm very disappointed, my clothes don't come clean. It only adds enough water to get them wet, sometimes items come out with dry spots. I tried smaller loads and clothes still don't come clean. Some still smell. My husband works in a golf course and his shirts, (which can be quite smelly) still have an odor. I never had this before. Also, my darks sometimes come out with white spots on them which I never had before. My daughter used my machine, who has a Whirlpool and says my machine is awful compared to hers. It doesn't add enough water for the clothes to properly clean. Would never get one like this again.

Kenmore Appliances expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Kenmore is a household appliance brand that has been marketed and sold by Sears since 1927, underlining Kenmore's long time commitment to delivering quality to consumers. Kenmore washers are produced by top brands like GE, Whirlpool and LG.

• J.D. Powers' award: Kenmore has won plenty of awards for its washing machines, including "Highest in Customer Satisfaction" for its top-loading washing machine in 2014 by J.D. Powers.

• Sanitize cycle: Kenmore washers are loaded with great features, including the sanitize cycle on many of its Elite® washing machines. The Sanitize cycle helps kill 99.9 percent of harmful bacteria without using strong chemicals like bleach.

• Best Washing Machine of the Year award: Reviewed.com heaped plenty of awards on Kenmore in 2014, including the Best Value Washing Machine of the Year award for their Kenmore 4.0 cubic feet Front-Load Washer and the Best Washing Machine of the Year award for the Kenmore Elite® 5.2 cubic feet Front-Load Washer.

• Plenty of options: Kenmore offers plenty of options for customers, including top-loading washers, front-loading washers and extremely energy-efficient models.

• Best for: Savers, families, people who are energy conscious and people who want award-winning washers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs