Call toll free
1.97/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Recognized as a top appliance brand for 100 years, Kenmore brings a new level of performance with appliances that deliver time savings, convenience and great results. From quickly cooling drinks to laundry loads completed in less time, Kenmore is the most awarded brand in the industry.

The Kenmore brand understands its customers’ wants and needs. Being in the lives of over 100 million Americans, performance innovations are a top priority of Kenmore product development. Ongoing engagement with our customers before, during and after purchases will help us maintain the honor of industry leader.

Kenmore Appliances Video
Kenmore Appliances Gallery (1)
B-BBB Rating
View More View More

2153 Kenmore Washers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

I have had this machine for 3 years now and hate it every time I do laundry. The only function I can use is the timed dry. When I use the other functions, the machine doesn't dry the clothes or takes all day to dry one load. I called a technician to come and look over my dryer. This technician told me that the dry clothes are coming in contact with the sensor inside the machine next to the lint holder and left. I started putting smaller loads in the dryer and did not help. So I tried the timed dry to see if this would work and it does. But why spend money on a machine if you can only use one function? Useless is what I tell ya.

Get expert buying tips about Washers and Dryers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

I wasn't looking for a deal or cheap price on a washing machine. I liked the look of this machine and figured that since this is a popular name brand, I couldn't go wrong. Along with this machine being on sale. Well... I HATE this machine. Stresses me out EVERY SINGLE TIME I do laundry. This machine doesn't rinse the soap out of the clothes and I use liquid soap. I thought at first that I used too much, so I used less. Nope! I thought that maybe I need to use the two rinse function. Nope!

So now I am having to wait for my load to finish then turn around and use the rinse and spin function. Just to rinse the liquid soap from my clothes. Also, my towels smell horrible. I use soap with softener and liquid softener. No use... I thought maybe the machine needed to be cleaned. Used the clean function and still my towels smell horrible. When I first noticed these issues, I called for a repair person to come out and take a look at the machine. All he said was to use the 2 rinse function and left... DO NOT BUY THIS MACHINE.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Bought a new Kenmore washer in 2014. From the time we bought it it was throwing out a cafe F51 didn’t know what it was ( yes ignorance on my part) however if you turned it off and then back on it worked fine. Now it has stopped working completely! I call customer service and ask if it was under recall after telling the lady my name and address five different times. She said no. I ask to speak with her manager and she said she didn’t have one. Wow. I am talking to the owner of the company! So I said I would like to speak to a supervisor and reluctantly she placed me on hold and when the supervisor got on the phone she also stated that the washer was not under any recall.

I ask her how she would know that without knowing what the serial number and model numbers were and quickly she ask for them. Put me on a brief hold and wouldn’t you know it same answer! No recall. However it has been giving this code since we bought it. Their solution to the problem is that I pay $99 for someone to come out in a week and see if it is under recall and if not then I can pay to have a washer fixed that was broke when we bought it. Gotta love them! I am not a happy customer!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

I never wrote a review about anything ever, but have felt compelled to let everyone know never to buy this machine. After reading everyone’s reviews, I realized that I am not alone. 700s washing machine is a terrible purchase and a waste of money. I thought I was doing something wrong at first but after manipulating all the buttons, I still can’t seem to get ANY of my wash loads clean! Kenmore should replace all these bad washers or at least consider giving us a portion of our money back for all the aggravation it has caused. DO NOT PURCHASE 700s WASHER.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

We just purchased a Sears 500 series top loading washer. It does not get clothes clean. After washing whites, with bleach, towels used for baking with some chocolate batter stains did not get clean. Stains remained. The machine does not put enough water in the tub to get clothes clean. It does not agitate enough to get out spots. Autofill simply does a terrible job at assessing amount of water needed per load. There is no way for the consumer to add more water to a load. The machine fails on design and execution. If not buy this product.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kenmore Appliances?

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

Bought a stacking front load Kenmore washer and dryer from Sears about 6 years ago and discovered DISTURBING issues! Extreme MOLD not only around the rubber door but throughout the washing device! So outraged because it is excessive black mold that could be harming my small children!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

We purchased Kenmore 600s series W&D March 2016. This is the most inefficient large product I ever purchased. Where do I begin. The first thing I did was change my mindset about how a High Efficiency washer operates. I got rid of the old way of thinking with the beloved Kenmore washers & dryers of years ago. Well, there is no comparison. The first problem was low water level and white streaks on dark clothing. I switched from powder detergent to liquid and that fixed the streaking issue. Now, as for water level. My first reaction was, why such a huge tub if it really cannot be used?

I used deep fill on occasion and I noticed the rinse cycle repeated itself 3 times before I realized what was happening. No more. I had to manipulate the controls to end that nonsense. The water levels were inconsistent even with same chosen options. I won't mention all the variations but this is what I found works best: I use the Delicates cycle w/ normal Soil. Unfortunately it doesn't spin well so I then use Rinse & Spin option but eliminate two rinses. Ugh! I hate this BS. Don't like that I can't lift the lid while it's filling. My friend has the same series and hates it! I heard these have a 10 yr lifespan. I can't wait for mine to kick! Never again... Buh Bye... Kenmore.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

NO AGITATOR AND NO HOT WATER!!! That is the only thing that cleans white sheets, blood stains and automotive grease. First HE I have owned and had to replace my old Kenmore of 25 years that I loved. Have to wash my clothes twice to even get them semi clean. Leaves soap residue and lint behind and I only use liquid soap. Want my money back and will never buy a Kenmore again. Good riddance Sears!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

My Kenmore top load washer 500 series is junk. Been dealing with this piece of crap for three years. My problem washer goes into spin mode and makes a load boom bounces hard shakes and stops spin. Very scary. Had two service tech out change the computer board and one changes the tub ring. Still having the same problem. Don't want to use it anymore because I fear it's going to break my floor tiles when in spin mode. It shakes and bounces so hard. It's a piece of crap. Going to call the service department once again if they don't fix it they find in their showroom don't buy this washer. It's crap.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

The washer would not complete the drain cycle. I read some troubleshooting advice and purchased a new lid locker for $50. It didn't fix the problem. I called Sears and they charge a $99 diagnostic fee to come out then labor and parts. I read reviews of others who had similar issues. Some had to have the same problem fixed multiple times within a year. It could be the motherboard console. To replace this piece is about $250 plus labor plus the diagnostics. I paid $598 for the washer in 2011. I think I might be better off just purchasing a Speed Queen or another washer with a better warranty rather than pour money into something unreliable.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Kenmore HE Washer Warranty Repair Disaster. Now entering the 4th month of this total **! 4 separate technician visits and the inability of the company to send proper parts (if they even exist) have made me no longer sorry to see Sears go the way of the dinosaur. The overseas call center has proven to be more frustration than help and all I can say is if this is the way of the future, we are all hosed. I currently have 3 tubs and other parts taking up space in my basement and garage and am no closer to a repair than when I called in April. I want this piece of crap out of my house along with the incorrect pile of parts they sent. No more SEARS for me.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Kenmore 700 series washing machine top load with glass lid - DO NOT buy this washing machine! It doesn't put enough water in to wash anything. I tried to wash 5 pair of VERY dirty jeans and they still had clumps of mud on them. I washed a load of towels and the towels absorbed all the water that was dispensed, and the Tide Pod was not completely dissolved! Even using "deep fill" it will dispense only 3" of water into the tub. I can get it to fill 3 times dispensing 3" of water each time if I stand there and hit the deep fill button, open and close the lid and who has time for that. I am having Sears come and replace this piece of junk Friday!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

We bought 2 Kenmore Stacked Washer/Dryer units (Gas) for our newly remodeled laundry room 3 1/2 years ago. One washer unit needed to be repaired after 2 years and now has broken down completely. The other washer unit is now having issues and the repair company told us it would be too expensive to repair and we’d be better off buying a new unit. So after 3 1/2 short years, we are forced to buy 2 new units!! We definitely will not be buying Kenmore but are going to try Whirlpool brand and pay $195 extra for the five year extended warranty since it seems things aren’t made to last anymore!! I will never buy Kenmore again!!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

Kenmore series100 - This washer just doesn’t get it done. Our first so called HE washer. The quality is poor. Too many plastic parts. The cleaning ability is abysmal. Even a small load comes out with lint and gunk not rinsed out. Whatever happened to old school washers? Why were they so bad that they don’t make them anymore? Our last machine was 25 years old before I repaired it myself. After 30 years the transmission gave up. Time for something new? Too bad! After 7 months the locking switch device malfunctioned. It was warranty and the repairman said, "Get ready to buy another machine in 5 years." What a joke.

Original review: July 25, 2018

Kenmore 600 series washer - The images here depict a small load in normal cycle. The clothes didn’t get cleaned and that is because they just sit in a small puddle of water. The ad for this washer claims it can wash 21 towels?? Try four. We have to wash loads more than once and quilts are washed three times. The deep fill option is a joke. The worst part is that you end up wasting so much water it’s ridiculous. Kenmore won't do anything about it. They offer a service repair. We have been taking pictures of different cycles and the end results. We have a big family and It infuriates me that we have to go to a laundromat to wash our clothes when we have a brand new washer at home.

Original review: July 24, 2018

This washer is excessively noisy. It makes many different noises and is totally annoying! The washer does not fill up with enough water even when you select "Deep Fill". You must put the detergent in before you load your clothes and this completely stained a new shirt. The fill rate is slow. If you need to stop the washer it does not cancel out properly. The cycle takes too long.

Original review: July 19, 2018

Kenmore HE top loader - I purchased this machine thinking it was way better than my older machine. I'm very disappointed, my clothes don't come clean. It only adds enough water to get them wet, sometimes items come out with dry spots. I tried smaller loads and clothes still don't come clean. Some still smell. My husband works in a golf course and his shirts, (which can be quite smelly) still have an odor. I never had this before. Also, my darks sometimes come out with white spots on them which I never had before. My daughter used my machine, who has a Whirlpool and says my machine is awful compared to hers. It doesn't add enough water for the clothes to properly clean. Would never get one like this again.

Original review: July 16, 2018

I needed to replace my old Kenmore washer and dryer after many successful years of use---did research but not enough, apparently. I have never been so disappointed with a Sears product as with this washer. Unable to soak heavy hobby dirt overnight, I hate the auto lock feature, and the lack of enough water in tub. I have to use the double rinse and extra fill of water every time plus the heavy duty cycle. Powders like soap and oxy need to be dissolved in a tub before you use them or your clothing will come out with white powder patches. Clothes are often not clean because of the lack of water fill.

I complained to the clerk at Sears who sold me the washer after just a couple weeks and he was rude and discounted all of my concerns. By the time I went back again after a few weeks, he said the time lapsed and the machine could not be returned. I really wish I had kept my old machine until the motor totally quit. I hate the electronic controls that turn on if you even wash the top or sometimes walk by the machine.

I have never been so disappointed in a product as this before. The Sears official site kept telling me there was an error in my submission and booting me off, and I strongly suspect it is because the review was negative. I purchased the matching dryer and it is fine except for dirt that collects on the inside rims of the door with each load... I empty the lint screen but dirt still collects on the door. The washer also takes twice as long as any washer I have ever had, and I am 73 with a history of at least 5 washers in my life. I hope buyers will not make my mistake with the 600 series of Kenmore top loader washer machines. Thank you for reading.

Original review: July 16, 2018

We bought a Kenmore Series 600 Triple Action Technology High Efficiency washing machine to replace a tiny, old machine left by previous owners. I wish we had kept theirs. This machine is the worst piece of machinery I've ever owned! It has shredded two sweaters, doesn't get clothes wet, let alone clean and is a complete waste of my time. Even using the Deep Fill option doesn't guarantee your clothes will all get wet. Your clothes will come out of the washer tied in knots and stretched. There is an option of two rinses, that you would think would at least get your clothes wet, but, alas, it does not.

So I have to think the high efficiency adjective was a complete lie. Using more water, extra water, having to wash things two and three times doesn't seem very efficient to me. The engineers who designed this washing machine should be fired. Seriously...go to a garage sale and buy someone's grandma's old Maytag or even go find a stream and a rock and you will be much better off than buying this machine.

Original review: June 11, 2018

While the Elite Front Load washer is a step up from our old front end, the requirement to drain water out of the bottom of the washer is ridiculous. Even when drained as much as possible it retains a smelly Odor that is transferred to clothing. This needs to be solved in future models. We purchased in 2016 so ask if this is still an issue.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I have model #11026132411 and when I wash my dark clothes they come out with white stains on them that are impossible to clean unless I wash my clothes in my daughter's Whirlpool machine. I tried cleaning the machine, but that doesn't help!!! I am so frustrated... Another problem with this machine is that you can't modulate the water level. I am VERY disappointed in this machine. I bought a Kenmore because of Sears' reputation.

Original review: May 30, 2018

The Kenmore deluxe dryer with heat sensor technology deserves nothing less than poor performance rating from this purchaser. I have had Sears service technician here several times trying to satisfy my complaint that it dries clothes poorly. After several computer assisted adjustments it still does not dry socks and heavy bulky items after being in the dryer 60 plus minutes.

Terrible dryer, many different settings have been tried with no success. The auto dry feature does not work as advertised. The technician said it's the dryer sheets. Bunk, I hardly use any. Warning try and get any assistance from Sears in Chicago, forget it. Junk, don't buy appliances from Sears. I have been a loyal Sears customer 30 plus years and their stuff is so bad. I'm glad they are failing and going under as I had to get rid of their washer. It was so undependable. Buy from dependable manufacturers and remember Sears is not what we remember them for.

Original review: May 16, 2018

Kenmore Series 500, top loader washer with automatic load sensing - Ordered online, everything went wrong (multiple order numbers) from beginning to end. But, my biggest complaint is the actual washer. It has an automatic water sensor that doesn't give you enough water to completely wash the load. Even after two rinses, the clothes still come out with lint on my black capris (washed separately). They are not thoroughly washed and result in a big tight knot in my washer upon completion. I have tried deep wash, but there's no way to get additional water in it. The water sensor barely gives you enough water to get the clothes damp. I hate it. Give me the old fashioned one with a knob to select water level, and an agitator would be nice too. Not sure what genius decided washing clothes with no agitator and no water would be a great idea!!!

Original review: May 15, 2018

Purchased top load washing machine (Kenmore Elite Washing Machine) with glass top lid Oct 30, 2018. Exploded April 6... then again one week after it was fixed... April 25... Still waiting on a replacement 2 weeks later. Sears warranty tell us they never heard of this, judging by item being back ordered and multiple other reviews I’ve read THIS IS A PROBLEM!!! BUYER BEWARE! MAJOR SAFETY ISSUE!!!

Original review: May 8, 2018

To put it mildly, I am totally fed up with this Kenmore Top load series 700 washer. More often than not, I have to repeat an entire wash, as I just have, but for the third time (same load) because the clothes come out with a scuzzy residue all over them. I have tried deep fill, two rinses, etc. etc. Nothing works with any consistency, and it is ludicrous to have paid almost a thousand dollars for a machine which, from its first day, refuses to wash clothes satisfactorily. Is there no way to make Kenmore accountable for marketing and selling a product which is such a miserable failure?

Original review: May 1, 2018

Waiting almost 2 months for service!! Kenmore Elite - Glass Top Load Washer unit is JUNK and Sears service is WORST! Second time top exploding in three months! I believe this unit is a safety HAZARD and SHOULD be RECALLED!! And redesigned!! Broken glass is dangerous especially around children! I would stay VERY far from this washer!!! SO SORRY I BOUGHT IT!! REGRET BUYING FROM SEARS! PLEASE do not make my mistake? Buying this washer from SEARS!

Original review: April 30, 2018

This Kenmore series 700 washer is one of the worst washers I've ever used. The countdown timer is rarely correct, hardly gets comforters completely clean, ie dry spots on it AFTER you take it out of the washer, which leads me to it NOT washing items completely. I could watch clothes "float" on top of the water while the agitator spins on the bottom, hence not cleaning them. Unless you use the "DEEP FILL" option for everything, it doesn't seem to get stuff "clean". The only thing I like about it is the size of the washer drum, but if it doesn't clean like the old school washers do, then I may as well just do my wash at the local laundry mat.

Original review: April 26, 2018

I don't know where to start. I guess at the beginning. I purchased this washer and matching dryer (Kenmore Elite Quad Action Model 31633) for my new home. I have always had Kenmore products and had a newer gas Kenmore but did not have gas at my new home. I knew when I went looking for a new product I had to have Kenmore for its quality and reliability. I picked this pair due to a special offer that the warranty would have a 2 year extension in addition to the 1 year manufacturer's warranty at the time of purchase. I purchased these in store and the salesman had never heard of such a thing. He was able to pull up the offer on their website and had to show it to his manager as well. When I never received any confirmation of this warranty extension. I continued to call both the store as well as customer service. The salesman remembered me and said he would have his manager contact me. This never happened after multiple attempts.

Fast forward to the manufacturer's warranty. This new washer was destroying all the new towels purchased for my new home. Though some were cheaper and purchased on sale, many were expensive towels that now had threads pulled from them everywhere thus rendering them unattractive for display and are now only available for personal use and unacceptable for company. Technicians were sent out unable to determine the cause other than a possible design flaw with the large gap between the wash drum and wash plate thus allowing items to be sucked in. This is unacceptable. I also was able to find out these appliances are not even made by Kenmore as they have not made washers and dryers for years but manufactured by Whirlpool with the Kenmore name affixed.

The technician provided me with a business card that provided a phone number for their Customer Solutions Department who proceeded to advise me that the technician would have to escalate the problem to his Technical Manager. This along with documentation and 7-8 service calls for the same unresolved problem would be required to consider replacement! Seriously? The amount of cost, time, and frustration not only for the consumer but the technicians as well after 7-8 service calls would have paid for the replacement.

I now am having the drum and wash plate replaced still not knowing if this is going to resolve the problem and nearing the end of my warranty. In addition, all the Customer Solutions Department was willing to do was reimburse me a total of $55 dollars for the damage to my towels. This would not even cover two of the bath sheets. Bottom line, no longer rely on your prior confidence in Sears Kenmore products. They are just charging more for them now to put their name on someone else's product!

Original review: April 18, 2018

I put a twin sized comforter in the Kenmore Elite Series 700 washer by itself because it had throw up on it. I washed it under the bulky/bedding option and selected all of the options it would allow me to (prewash, fabric softener, rinse twice, and stain boost- I would have selected deep fill as well but it won't allow you to when you are running the bulky/bedding setting) and it still had throw up caked up on it when I took it out!!! ALL OF MY CLOTHES HAVE STAINS ON THEM NOW BECAUSE THIS WASHER DOES NOT WASH! I talked to the people at SEARS about this and they agreed that something must be wrong with it since it came out with throw up still on it and told me to have a service guy come look at it. So I did and the guy told me himself that he agrees that the top load agitator-less washers don't clean worth crap.

He said "this model here is not made for washing blankets or comforters or rugs or pillows- it's just not made for that- it won't get them clean" so I asked him if it says that it doesn't wash blankets (...etc.) anywhere in the description of the product because had it said that we would not have bought it (for 650$!) because we wash a lot of those things and need them to actually get clean!!! And you know what he had the audacity to say to me?!? He said "well ya- just like it doesn't specifically say that you can't wash concrete blocks in it neither". So I said "ok but who would even try to wash concrete blocks?" He then said "it's just a common sense thing". CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?!? Instead of admitting that they have been selling a less than perfect appliance and showing some integrity by making things right, they are getting over on us all and will I'm sure go out of business soon here. I will be suing.

Original review: April 10, 2018

Wife and I bought a new washer & dryer from Sears, a Kenmore Elite Quad Action and 4 weeks later I'm doing wash just pulled clothes out of washer and with lid up on my top load washer, putting detergent and the lid blow apart for no reason. Called Sears and got to wait 3 weeks to get someone out.

Kenmore Appliances expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Kenmore is a household appliance brand that has been marketed and sold by Sears since 1927, underlining Kenmore's long time commitment to delivering quality to consumers. Kenmore washers are produced by top brands like GE, Whirlpool and LG.

• J.D. Powers' award: Kenmore has won plenty of awards for its washing machines, including "Highest in Customer Satisfaction" for its top-loading washing machine in 2014 by J.D. Powers.

• Sanitize cycle: Kenmore washers are loaded with great features, including the sanitize cycle on many of its Elite® washing machines. The Sanitize cycle helps kill 99.9 percent of harmful bacteria without using strong chemicals like bleach.

• Best Washing Machine of the Year award: Reviewed.com heaped plenty of awards on Kenmore in 2014, including the Best Value Washing Machine of the Year award for their Kenmore 4.0 cubic feet Front-Load Washer and the Best Washing Machine of the Year award for the Kenmore Elite® 5.2 cubic feet Front-Load Washer.

• Plenty of options: Kenmore offers plenty of options for customers, including top-loading washers, front-loading washers and extremely energy-efficient models.

• Best for: Savers, families, people who are energy conscious and people who want award-winning washers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs