It's that easy Request Information
2.73/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Recognized as a top appliance brand for 100 years, Kenmore brings a new level of performance with appliances that deliver time savings, convenience and great results. From quickly cooling drinks to laundry loads completed in less time, Kenmore is the most awarded brand in the industry.

The Kenmore brand understands its customers’ wants and needs. Being in the lives of over 100 million Americans, performance innovations are a top priority of Kenmore product development. Ongoing engagement with our customers before, during and after purchases will help us maintain the honor of industry leader.

Kenmore Appliances Video
Kenmore Appliances Gallery (1)
B-BBB Rating
View More View More

2234 Kenmore Washers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: March 1, 2019

After only 2 years it... DIED! Bearing crapped out. Repairman stated all companies make appliances that die in 2-3 years or COST TOO MUCH to repair. There goes an $800 washer. I suggest paying double for a Speed Queen or Bosch or just buy the extended warranty and make the company pay for a new one when it fails!

Get expert buying tips about Washers and Dryers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I purchased this top load Kenmore series 700 washer from Sears less than a year ago. I thought purchasing a washer that saved water was environmentally conscious; however, to my surprise I ended up using more water trying to get laundry clean. Not only does this washer not CLEAN your clothes it is not reliable on a day to day basis. I ended up running clothes thru 2 cycles just to get them clean. Water barely covers clothes even on deep fill setting. It often gets becomes unleveled from drum tying clothes in knots and now it's not running at all! This is the epitome of inefficiency. I do not recommend this product to anyone. I am usually very easy to please but Kenmore has tarnished its name with this machine. I gave it a one star rating because that was the lowest available but I would have given it 0 stars had that been an option.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Both work very well and provide multiple options for what is being wash then dried. The clean mode on the washer is convenient. The time and temperature setting provides a viable option to the other settings.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Without an agitator the clothes do not come clean. Dah, I should have thought of that before I bought it, I know an appliance repair guy that his wife even got rid of her agitatorless machine. That's how bad they are.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

We purchased the Kenmore water/energy efficient washer and we wash on either room temperature or warm water. Laundry most of the time come out not as expected with unclean chocolate stains as an example. Also, we were told by Kenmore that we have to run the express cycle (Very hot water) with vinegar in the detergent pocket to remove residual detergent and to improve the washer ability to clean even normal day to day stains. We are not happy with our purchase. Another aspect that made us unhappy is the annual PM included in a 5 year warranty (paid extra) that often the subcontractor is sending washer-untrained technicians to perform the PM.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kenmore Appliances?

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

No agitator; it’s water saver; therefore, clothes come out looking dingy and spotted. The dryer has never worked on the “hot” cycle. I have to do 2 cycles to have the clothes coming out of the dryer looking “dry”.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

The washer we bought is one of their cheapest so I didn't expect it to be great and it's not. We bought it a few years ago and now starting to have problems. It bangs a lot and while looking up info for fix it yourself I found a lot of complaints about the washer I have.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I have had this Kenmore gas (Whirlpool) dryer since 1986! 3 years ago I had to replace the motor, so along with that I replaced the drum belt, rollers and igniter. Parts are readily available and being handy I did all the work. People seem to discard large appliances without even seeing if they can be repaired.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I've had my Kenmore super duty set since my mom bought them in 1996 for me. I've used them for everything from delicate lace tablecloths to dirty grungy overalls that all came out clean and in great shape. The super duty was needed due to king size bedspread and blankets needing washed. This set has never been serviced because they've never broken down. I once replaced the foil tube that takes lint outside but that's it. Just clean it after use and it works fantastic. I've looked at others but mine are the best and wouldn't get rid of them for any new one. All the wash cycles work great. The extra large tub makes for easy washing of big items. This set was the best investment ever made and I love it. Got to run. Another load just buzzed.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I had to replace my old one and chose this one as a replacement. I love the added features this one has over the old one. The automatic water level saves A LOT of hot water use. Being able to designate what type of wash I need done is also a bonus.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

In over 14 years of usage of approximately 4-5 loads per week, the door latch gizmo went out twice and the control panel twice. Washer washes really well. Being the HT model must not use too much detergent. Gas dryer dries great. Overall the brand (Kenmore) is not bad. I know there are newer ones out with lots of gadgets but I'm not a fan of these. I need a few cycles to cover most typical usage and these are great for that.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

Bought the top of the line Kenmore Elite front loader 2017. Worst purchase I ever made! Have tried every tip for getting the clothes to smell good. I spend more time cleaning the machine and over washing clothes than I ever have. I have used every laundry detergent. From the first day the towels stink. Tried baking soda, washing machine cleaners, using less cleaner and adding scented beads. Calling customer service was a joke. Every time they told me to try something or clean the cleanout drain. I told them I already had. They could care less. I curse this machine every time I use it. As soon as water hits a clean towel it smells like it just came out of the hamper. If you go in the Sears store and open up the machine smell inside the front loader. That is what your towels will smell like.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

I purchased a lot of Sears appliances and I had extended warranties and then Sears went out of business in Colorado. There is a Sears Store in Grand Junction, but I am 200 miles from there and even though they have a Sears person who fixes their items, he won't come this far. So I am SOL. It's terribly difficult to have a repairman come to fix any Sears item, therefore I would not recommend anything by Sears.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

Mechanically, the machine works fine. Design wise, the agitator does not do a very good job. As a result, a large load does not get agitated very well. I am often forced to split loads in order to get clothes clean.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

This washer was in a 4-year-old house we recently bought. It is a top loader and looks to have been new when the house was built. The washer's latest shenanigan was to flash the sensing light after it had filled. Information on the internet said to press the pause/start button. So, I did and the machine drained the full tub of water! In addition, I cannot be sure that it has rinsed the clothes, because sometimes it just spins very slowly while squirting a small amount of water on the clothes. Sometimes, the tub fills and actually rinses. This stupid thing takes an hour to wash a load of clothes! What in heaven's name is that? It surely isn't saving me any time or energy. We're going to look for something else tomorrow.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

Previously owned a Kenmore Elite 4 washing machine and loved it but finally needed to get a new washer. Went with another Kenmore Elite, model #796.41482410. It does have a “clean washer” setting but it does not work so I use other methods to get the moldy smell out of the washer, plus I wipe the tube out and the rubber ring around the door as they get buildup on them. This is something I never had to do with my original washer. We do clean the filter by draining any excess water and cleaning the filter but the filter never has anything on it. All in all we just don’t feel like it washes as well as our old one which I would take back in a heartbeat. Wish I could have returned this one but we’re stuck with this one for a while.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

W & D are at least ten plus years old. Not a single problem ever. Only time I had an issue with the washer was when I got sidetracked and filled it TWICE with detergent and the bubbles came out around the lid. User issue not the washer’s fault.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

Washer does not rinse clothes completely. Takes 2 cycles to get the clothes completely rinsed and the soap out. Have adjusted the amount of soap used with the same results. Very disappointed with the Kenmore line.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

My Kenmore Calypso is 14 years old. No work EVER done on it. If it broke down tomorrow I cannot complain. My appliance repairman came out to work on my ice maker and he said I must be the only pet on planet Earth that has not had a problem with that washer but again no problems. My dryer is a Whirlpool with knobs. No electronics, it is 10 years old electric dryer. No problems ever.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

We purchased top of the line Kenmore washer and dryer, although the wash is good, every new towel that was washed and dried have been ruined, they look like they went thru a war. This set has stainless steel inserts about 2 years old.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

It does not put enough water in even when I run it on the more water setting. Sometimes not all laundry gets wet. It does not spin out very well either. I always thought that you buy a Kenmore, you bought quality. Not anymore.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

Now considering replacement as continued use over 8 years necessitates a new unit. Washer leaks through the front door, have to keep a towel on floor. Lint in dryer builds up too fast and is hard to clean. Sears now closed doors, no manufacturing agent available.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

This washer is promoted as a large load, energy-efficient design. If you put more than half a load the washer spins so out of control that it shakes my whole 2 story house. Then it starts the rinse cycle again and drains in an attempt to even out the load. One time I let it progress to 10 extra cycles until I could not take it anymore and had to unplug, empty clothes wet, ring out by hand and then put in the dryer. The fact there has not been a recall or a buyback program is a joke. Whatever engineer designed, tested and put this to market should be ashamed of themselves.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

Doesn't drain used water completely leaving sticky, smelly residue in wash after it is dried. To remedy this a prewash without clothes included is required -- very wasteful of water I think. This will be the major consideration at time of purchasing another washer in future. This problem was diagnosed by a sales person on discussion of wash results. I resorted to going to a laundromat outside my home combined with my grocery shopping for large wash load. It has made my washer last longer.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I have no complaints other than it doesn't control lint as well as the old one did. Overall it's pretty good. I pre-soak bad stains and it does a good job of washing them out. It hasn't asked yet but this is a stacker washer dryer unit...about 15 years old now.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

Washer mod 600 18 years old, only problem, had to put a weight on lid to it from stopping. Did this for several weeks and then it corrected itself and no problems since. This was 2 yrs ago. Dryer mod 400 12 yrs old, no problems at all.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I only had one problem with washer. A leaking component in the front middle needed to be replaced after warranty expired. Cost about $135.00. Still works great after 22 years. No problems with the dryer.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I just purchased my Kenmore January 27, 2019. The soak button is odd and does not really do me any good but I had a horrible experience with LG so I am holding out hope for this new washer.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I find that they are of a good quality with a fair price. My washer and dryer are plain white suitable appliances that work well. No frills. That's what I wanted. I've had them for probably eight years now and have not had any problems.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Bought on 2002 Kenmore Elite Front load 1st Generation, continues to work well. Only a few minor repairs. Would buy the same pair again if still available. Has more than adequate controls, actually only need one or two but there are options to use occasionally. No negatives other than cannot be replaced.

Kenmore Appliances expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Kenmore is a household appliance brand that has been marketed and sold by Sears since 1927, underlining Kenmore's long time commitment to delivering quality to consumers. Kenmore washers are produced by top brands like GE, Whirlpool and LG.

• J.D. Powers' award: Kenmore has won plenty of awards for its washing machines, including "Highest in Customer Satisfaction" for its top-loading washing machine in 2014 by J.D. Powers.

• Sanitize cycle: Kenmore washers are loaded with great features, including the sanitize cycle on many of its Elite® washing machines. The Sanitize cycle helps kill 99.9 percent of harmful bacteria without using strong chemicals like bleach.

• Best Washing Machine of the Year award: Reviewed.com heaped plenty of awards on Kenmore in 2014, including the Best Value Washing Machine of the Year award for their Kenmore 4.0 cubic feet Front-Load Washer and the Best Washing Machine of the Year award for the Kenmore Elite® 5.2 cubic feet Front-Load Washer.

• Plenty of options: Kenmore offers plenty of options for customers, including top-loading washers, front-loading washers and extremely energy-efficient models.

• Best for: Savers, families, people who are energy conscious and people who want award-winning washers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs