Call toll free
2.38/5
Based on 87 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Recognized as a top appliance brand for 100 years, Kenmore brings a new level of performance with appliances that deliver time savings, convenience and great results. From quickly cooling drinks to laundry loads completed in less time, Kenmore is the most awarded brand in the industry.

The Kenmore brand understands its customers’ wants and needs. Being in the lives of over 100 million Americans, performance innovations are a top priority of Kenmore product development. Ongoing engagement with our customers before, during and after purchases will help us maintain the honor of industry leader.

B-BBB Rating
View More View More

2134 Kenmore Washers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 11, 2018

While the Elite Front Load washer is a step up from our old front end, the requirement to drain water out of the bottom of the washer is ridiculous. Even when drained as much as possible it retains a smelly Odor that is transferred to clothing. This needs to be solved in future models. We purchased in 2016 so ask if this is still an issue.

Get expert buying tips about Washers and Dryers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I have model #11026132411 and when I wash my dark clothes they come out with white stains on them that are impossible to clean unless I wash my clothes in my daughter's Whirlpool machine. I tried cleaning the machine, but that doesn't help!!! I am so frustrated... Another problem with this machine is that you can't modulate the water level. I am VERY disappointed in this machine. I bought a Kenmore because of Sears' reputation.

Original review: May 30, 2018

The Kenmore deluxe dryer with heat sensor technology deserves nothing less than poor performance rating from this purchaser. I have had Sears service technician here several times trying to satisfy my complaint that it dries clothes poorly. After several computer assisted adjustments it still does not dry socks and heavy bulky items after being in the dryer 60 plus minutes.

Terrible dryer, many different settings have been tried with no success. The auto dry feature does not work as advertised. The technician said it's the dryer sheets. Bunk, I hardly use any. Warning try and get any assistance from Sears in Chicago, forget it. Junk, don't buy appliances from Sears. I have been a loyal Sears customer 30 plus years and their stuff is so bad. I'm glad they are failing and going under as I had to get rid of their washer. It was so undependable. Buy from dependable manufacturers and remember Sears is not what we remember them for.

Original review: May 16, 2018

Kenmore Series 500, top loader washer with automatic load sensing - Ordered online, everything went wrong (multiple order numbers) from beginning to end. But, my biggest complaint is the actual washer. It has an automatic water sensor that doesn't give you enough water to completely wash the load. Even after two rinses, the clothes still come out with lint on my black capris (washed separately). They are not thoroughly washed and result in a big tight knot in my washer upon completion. I have tried deep wash, but there's no way to get additional water in it. The water sensor barely gives you enough water to get the clothes damp. I hate it. Give me the old fashioned one with a knob to select water level, and an agitator would be nice too. Not sure what genius decided washing clothes with no agitator and no water would be a great idea!!!

Original review: May 15, 2018

Purchased top load washing machine (Kenmore Elite Washing Machine) with glass top lid Oct 30, 2018. Exploded April 6... then again one week after it was fixed... April 25... Still waiting on a replacement 2 weeks later. Sears warranty tell us they never heard of this, judging by item being back ordered and multiple other reviews I’ve read THIS IS A PROBLEM!!! BUYER BEWARE! MAJOR SAFETY ISSUE!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kenmore Appliances?

Original review: May 8, 2018

To put it mildly, I am totally fed up with this Kenmore Top load series 700 washer. More often than not, I have to repeat an entire wash, as I just have, but for the third time (same load) because the clothes come out with a scuzzy residue all over them. I have tried deep fill, two rinses, etc. etc. Nothing works with any consistency, and it is ludicrous to have paid almost a thousand dollars for a machine which, from its first day, refuses to wash clothes satisfactorily. Is there no way to make Kenmore accountable for marketing and selling a product which is such a miserable failure?

Original review: May 1, 2018

Waiting almost 2 months for service!! Kenmore Elite - Glass Top Load Washer unit is JUNK and Sears service is WORST! Second time top exploding in three months! I believe this unit is a safety HAZARD and SHOULD be RECALLED!! And redesigned!! Broken glass is dangerous especially around children! I would stay VERY far from this washer!!! SO SORRY I BOUGHT IT!! REGRET BUYING FROM SEARS! PLEASE do not make my mistake? Buying this washer from SEARS!

Original review: April 30, 2018

This Kenmore series 700 washer is one of the worst washers I've ever used. The countdown timer is rarely correct, hardly gets comforters completely clean, ie dry spots on it AFTER you take it out of the washer, which leads me to it NOT washing items completely. I could watch clothes "float" on top of the water while the agitator spins on the bottom, hence not cleaning them. Unless you use the "DEEP FILL" option for everything, it doesn't seem to get stuff "clean". The only thing I like about it is the size of the washer drum, but if it doesn't clean like the old school washers do, then I may as well just do my wash at the local laundry mat.

Original review: April 26, 2018

I don't know where to start. I guess at the beginning. I purchased this washer and matching dryer (Kenmore Elite Quad Action Model 31633) for my new home. I have always had Kenmore products and had a newer gas Kenmore but did not have gas at my new home. I knew when I went looking for a new product I had to have Kenmore for its quality and reliability. I picked this pair due to a special offer that the warranty would have a 2 year extension in addition to the 1 year manufacturer's warranty at the time of purchase. I purchased these in store and the salesman had never heard of such a thing. He was able to pull up the offer on their website and had to show it to his manager as well. When I never received any confirmation of this warranty extension. I continued to call both the store as well as customer service. The salesman remembered me and said he would have his manager contact me. This never happened after multiple attempts.

Fast forward to the manufacturer's warranty. This new washer was destroying all the new towels purchased for my new home. Though some were cheaper and purchased on sale, many were expensive towels that now had threads pulled from them everywhere thus rendering them unattractive for display and are now only available for personal use and unacceptable for company. Technicians were sent out unable to determine the cause other than a possible design flaw with the large gap between the wash drum and wash plate thus allowing items to be sucked in. This is unacceptable. I also was able to find out these appliances are not even made by Kenmore as they have not made washers and dryers for years but manufactured by Whirlpool with the Kenmore name affixed.

The technician provided me with a business card that provided a phone number for their Customer Solutions Department who proceeded to advise me that the technician would have to escalate the problem to his Technical Manager. This along with documentation and 7-8 service calls for the same unresolved problem would be required to consider replacement! Seriously? The amount of cost, time, and frustration not only for the consumer but the technicians as well after 7-8 service calls would have paid for the replacement.

I now am having the drum and wash plate replaced still not knowing if this is going to resolve the problem and nearing the end of my warranty. In addition, all the Customer Solutions Department was willing to do was reimburse me a total of $55 dollars for the damage to my towels. This would not even cover two of the bath sheets. Bottom line, no longer rely on your prior confidence in Sears Kenmore products. They are just charging more for them now to put their name on someone else's product!

Original review: April 18, 2018

I put a twin sized comforter in the Kenmore Elite Series 700 washer by itself because it had throw up on it. I washed it under the bulky/bedding option and selected all of the options it would allow me to (prewash, fabric softener, rinse twice, and stain boost- I would have selected deep fill as well but it won't allow you to when you are running the bulky/bedding setting) and it still had throw up caked up on it when I took it out!!! ALL OF MY CLOTHES HAVE STAINS ON THEM NOW BECAUSE THIS WASHER DOES NOT WASH! I talked to the people at SEARS about this and they agreed that something must be wrong with it since it came out with throw up still on it and told me to have a service guy come look at it. So I did and the guy told me himself that he agrees that the top load agitator-less washers don't clean worth crap.

He said "this model here is not made for washing blankets or comforters or rugs or pillows- it's just not made for that- it won't get them clean" so I asked him if it says that it doesn't wash blankets (...etc.) anywhere in the description of the product because had it said that we would not have bought it (for 650$!) because we wash a lot of those things and need them to actually get clean!!! And you know what he had the audacity to say to me?!? He said "well ya- just like it doesn't specifically say that you can't wash concrete blocks in it neither". So I said "ok but who would even try to wash concrete blocks?" He then said "it's just a common sense thing". CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?!? Instead of admitting that they have been selling a less than perfect appliance and showing some integrity by making things right, they are getting over on us all and will I'm sure go out of business soon here. I will be suing.

Original review: April 10, 2018

Wife and I bought a new washer & dryer from Sears, a Kenmore Elite Quad Action and 4 weeks later I'm doing wash just pulled clothes out of washer and with lid up on my top load washer, putting detergent and the lid blow apart for no reason. Called Sears and got to wait 3 weeks to get someone out.

Original review: April 8, 2018

This is the worst washer (700 washer) I’ve ever owned. Unless I use deep fill and second rinse for every load half the load comes out dry and unwashed. Also (maybe my mistake) I cannot reach the bottom of the machine without a step stool. For such a deep basin it appears that it fills about 2”. So by using the extended options I see no efficiency or economy needless to say an hour and a half per load!

Original review: April 3, 2018

We bought this Kenmore Elite Ultraclean Dishwasher 665.1278 Model for 900.00 dollars back in July of 2014. After one year of use the heating element in the door panel went out. When we called out a service repairman he told us this was one of two of the most expensive parts to replace and that these parts wear out quickly. We went ahead and paid for the repair that ended up costing us over 200.00, then decided to buy a one year warranty just in case. By the time the one year warranty was up the same door panel heating element went out along with some type of gear in the door panel. I can't believe we paid 900.00 for what was supposed to be the best of the best of Kenmore dishwashers back then only to have it break down on a yearly occurrence. I would not recommend this dishwasher. This has left such a bad taste in our mouths that we are not going to buy Kenmore in the future for ANY appliance. Period.

Original review: March 28, 2018

This is for a “600 series” washer. For some reason, I search for that, and this is what I get. My 600 series HE washer is, first of all, highly electronic. All its controls are electronic in nature, and took some getting used to. For months, I was never quite sure how to get it to do what I wanted it to do. What I had to do was a big disappointment.

HE means “high efficiency.” The washer apparently weighs what you put in it, then adds a very minimal amount of water to do the wash. The lid locks when underway, so it’s hard to see, but I have stopped it mid-cycle only to discover only about 1” of water in the tub! That was barely enough to wet, and not enough even to cover them! No wonder my clothes came out with an obvious dirty residue. So much for high efficiency!

No, in order to get my clothes clean, I have to run every cycle on “deep fill” and “double rinse,” and that means always using the “heavy duty” cycle. Like those “high efficiency,” low volume toilets which need to be flushed 4 times, what we have to do to get a wash that is cleaner than it went in eliminates any and all efficiency! This washer, if you want clean clothes, probably uses twice as much water, twice as much energy and takes twice as long as a regular, non-HE washer! If I had a choice, I would never have bought this washer (there is not much to choose from), at least not without spending 2X+ as much. I would certainly never buy one of these again.

Original review: March 9, 2018

The Kenmore Washer washes and the dryer dries. They are white in color and get the job done. They are durable and they perform very well. My parents bought Kenmore and were satisfied with them and I have always bought Kenmore and have been very happy with the performance and how long they last. I have been satisfied.

Original review: March 8, 2018

The Kenmore washer and dryer set work very well together and does exactly what I need it to do. It washes and dries fast. I don't need specific or special detergent or any nonsense to use these for great fresh clean clothes. I like the simplicity of the washer and dryer and how it's not "smart" or connected. It's easy to use and there's no need for all the whistles and bells. I inherited the washer and the dryer with the house, but they have been excellent appliances and are at least 10-15 years old and still work great. I've only had to replace the knobs on the top of the dryer but that was about it.

Original review: March 7, 2018

Profoundly bad experience with this Kenmore Series 100. Dryer handle broke 1 week after bringing it home. Washing machine is stunningly bad. I have to wear white for my job and I have to run 3 cycles to get my clothes clean. This experience has led me to refurbish my old machines and expect to see another 20 years of AMAZING quality from my laundry machines. I will NEVER BUY KENMORE AGAIN.

Original review: March 7, 2018

It was a clothes washer and I liked that it had a large capacity, also various settings according to the clothes materials. I particularly liked the fact that when the cycle was completed it buzzed and continued to buzz every ten minutes until the door was opened. I also liked that when the cycle was on it was quiet, did not make much noise while running. The dryer supplied all the features that I needed and I was satisfied with the drying cycles. The dryer machine was included in my house purchase and I felt that the quality and ease of using the machine was good. It met my expectations. The replacement dryer that I have was a gift to me and is a GE, but if I were to purchase a new dryer I definitely would consider Kenmore.

Original review: March 6, 2018

We were looking to upgrade and I needed a washer dryer that could stack. We chose this washer dryer because we like the Kenmore brand. My husband and I looked at several brands and we thought this was the best option for our needs. It's a stackable front loader and it's also a high efficiency and I thought it would be better than my old washer. But it doesn't seem to clean smaller loads as well as I'd like and we often rewash it. Also, the front loader gets build up in the rubber around the front and cause a smell. It's difficult to clean that area too.

Original review: March 2, 2018

I like how fast it dries clothing and the overall look in my house. I got this brand on a good deal also and I would recommend it and I will always buy it because it is so good. It's a high-quality brand that I trust. I also own a washer and a fridge from the same brand.

Original review: March 2, 2018

I tried Whirlpool at one time and the spin cycle in washer was out of place and shook all over the place so I wasn't fond of Whirlpool so I chose Kenmore. The dryer is pretty fast and keeps clothes pretty warm when drying compared to some dryers where they would have clothes that would feel cold or still not dry as you took them out of the dryer. But sometimes I would have to start it up two or three times for it to be completely dry after awhile of use. It was good to start out with but as years went on it was time to replace the dryer because of this issue.

Original review: March 1, 2018

I like that it washes effectively and let me control the temperature. I really have been into laundry more and more lately so this is something that really help me. I wish I could see inside of the washer while it goes on. That would be only for looking purposes so this is something that didn't mean the most but still meant something to me and for me. But I felt it was the best for me. It had everything that I wanted and I felt that this is something I can rely on for the next 5 or so years.

Original review: March 1, 2018

Have owned Kenmore for 30 plus years. They have always been reliable. I like the front loading machines because they can extract better when they spin. This time we got the pedestals to offset the low opening on the machines. They won't install the machines now unless you order all new hoses. That is not good because they charge a lot for hoses. They did deliver when promised and moved out the old ones. All in all I hate to see Sears take a beating but Kenmore is made by Whirlpool.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

I loved Kenmore because it always worked and was reliable. I had it for a long time and never had to repair much. I only had a few issues which were temporary and probably from my own wear and tear. The machine was recommended by a family member. They knew that my old washing machine had broke and decided to tell me about a sale at Best Buy. I got it about 20% off and I really got my money’s worth from this machine. It worked for a long time, but it was cheaply made and it had a lot of other problems cosmetically. It could have had stronger material or make it out of better things for large families and the wear and tear they bring.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I purchased this washer brand new from my local Sears store about 4 years ago and just now getting around to writing a review. Truth be told, I finally got fed up with having to wash my whites 2-3 times or by hand to remove stains. Not sure if it's the lack of an agitator or what but this machine has not cleaned my laundry properly since day one. Next week I will be replacing.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

I needed a dryer quick since my previous one died, and I didn't want to spend a lot of time or money. This one was quite cheap and I was able to get it delivered and installed next day. It is pretty large, so I can dry my king size comforter in it. It does a good job of drying large loads and has several settings for drying (amount of time, level of dryness, etc.). However, the buzzer when it goes off is rather jarring. But, that's good when the dryer is in the garage and you couldn't hear it otherwise.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

I like the sleek look with very detailed instructions and large tubs. They get clothes very clean in the washing and they dry quickly and the clothes come out soft and with very few wrinkles. They are stylish and last a very long time and are always dependable. I can always count on Kenmore to give me the results I am looking for and expect in the washers and dryers. I will continue to purchase Kenmore. Kenmore products are reliable and quiet when in use and always do the job.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

This is by far the best laundry pair I've ever owned. Manufactured by Whirlpool with the Sears Kenmore label. The most reliable laundry machines made. Period. Wouldn't have anything else. My laundry pair is 10 years old, never needed repairs and I expect to last another 10 years, like my parent's Whirlpool laundry machines.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

I do not like my washing machine. When it is finished washing there is one pieces of clothing that literally covers all the clothes and appears to tuck all the clothes in under it. Sometimes the piece on top is not totally wet and I wonder if it even got washed. Then I wonder if the ones under it got washed because they are so neatly tucked in. It looks like a loaf of bread waiting to rise in a bowl. I have been careful the way I load it, but it still comes out wrapped up, especially when I do sheets. The bottom sheet always wraps everything. I also have a problem with the dark load coming out with white spots. I use the All pods and have to cut the pod and put the detergent in the dispenser. And... the softener never completely empties.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

The price was reasonable and the features of the Kenmore was getting my approval. The Kenmore washer has a fast clean cycle and was very good at cleaning dirt off of my loads. It washes things to perfection without damaging my clothes. The Kenmore dryer was very fast at drying my clothes and the heat didn't destroy my soft delicates. Some dryers are too harsh with the drying process. This Kenmore dryer was an energy efficient product.

Kenmore Appliances expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Kenmore is a household appliance brand that has been marketed and sold by Sears since 1927, underlining Kenmore's long time commitment to delivering quality to consumers. Kenmore washers are produced by top brands like GE, Whirlpool and LG.

• J.D. Powers' award: Kenmore has won plenty of awards for its washing machines, including "Highest in Customer Satisfaction" for its top-loading washing machine in 2014 by J.D. Powers.

• Sanitize cycle: Kenmore washers are loaded with great features, including the sanitize cycle on many of its Elite® washing machines. The Sanitize cycle helps kill 99.9 percent of harmful bacteria without using strong chemicals like bleach.

• Best Washing Machine of the Year award: Reviewed.com heaped plenty of awards on Kenmore in 2014, including the Best Value Washing Machine of the Year award for their Kenmore 4.0 cubic feet Front-Load Washer and the Best Washing Machine of the Year award for the Kenmore Elite® 5.2 cubic feet Front-Load Washer.

• Plenty of options: Kenmore offers plenty of options for customers, including top-loading washers, front-loading washers and extremely energy-efficient models.

• Best for: Savers, families, people who are energy conscious and people who want award-winning washers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs