Protect what matters most

Protect yourself from the unexpected - Shop home warranty companies.

Protect my home
Kenmore Washers
3.81/5

Kenmore Washers

Recognized as a top appliance brand for 100 years, Kenmore brings a new level of performance with appliances that deliver time savings, convenience and great results. From quickly cooling drinks to laundry loads completed in less time, Kenmore is the most awarded brand in the industry.

The Kenmore brand understands its customers’ wants and needs. Being in the lives of over 100 million Americans, performance innovations are a top priority of Kenmore product development. Ongoing engagement with our customers before, during and after purchases will help us maintain the honor of industry leader.

View More View More

Protect what matters most

Protect yourself from the unexpected - Shop home warranty companies.

Protect my home

2249 Kenmore Washers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I've had my Kenmore super duty set since my mom bought them in 1996 for me. I've used them for everything from delicate lace tablecloths to dirty grungy overalls that all came out clean and in great shape. The super duty was needed due to king size bedspread and blankets needing washed. This set has never been serviced because they've never broken down. I once replaced the foil tube that takes lint outside but that's it. Just clean it after use and it works fantastic. I've looked at others but mine are the best and wouldn't get rid of them for any new one. All the wash cycles work great. The extra large tub makes for easy washing of big items. This set was the best investment ever made and I love it. Got to run. Another load just buzzed.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

I purchased a lot of Sears appliances and I had extended warranties and then Sears went out of business in Colorado. There is a Sears Store in Grand Junction, but I am 200 miles from there and even though they have a Sears person who fixes their items, he won't come this far. So I am SOL. It's terribly difficult to have a repairman come to fix any Sears item, therefore I would not recommend anything by Sears.

Get expert buying tips about Washers and Dryers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

In over 14 years of usage of approximately 4-5 loads per week, the door latch gizmo went out twice and the control panel twice. Washer washes really well. Being the HT model must not use too much detergent. Gas dryer dries great. Overall the brand (Kenmore) is not bad. I know there are newer ones out with lots of gadgets but I'm not a fan of these. I need a few cycles to cover most typical usage and these are great for that.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

We have never had a single problem with our set of Kenmores. We did not buy the top of the line more of the bottom line, no bells and whistle. The settings are easy to read and turn knobs too, I'm blind/low vision and markings are bold enough for me to see. Baskets are more than big enough to handle all of our washing loads. No extra settings to cluster the facial plates with settings we will never use. Bleach trough in the right place and easy to pour into, big enough to hold recommended amount, softener container in the middle easy to get to, softener lid can be a little hard to get off if you cut your fingernails too short. Product and price was right, have had for 5 years no service calls, bought a set for daughter.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I purchased a Kenmore washing machine almost 2 years ago… I’ve had at least four service calls on it and has a clicking sound all hours of the day and night. They have been out to my house numerous times. They’ve replaced everything they say electronically the problem has gone away for about six months. Now it started again… I don’t even want to bother with them anymore so I just prop up the lid door so I don’t hear the sound in the middle of the night. Other than that it cleans fantastically. Was so much less soap and so much less water, Kenmore model number 110.25132411!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kenmore Appliances?

Original review: May 21, 2019

I purchased a stackable Kenmore 41761733. It was off balance and unusable after 3 months. It worked only off and on after having to drip dry laundry and wait 24 hours to see if machine would complete a spin cycle without being off balance again. I waited for 4 afternoons for Sears Kenmore repair person. The guy showed up only one of the four appt times and said he needed to replace the motherboard with a refurbished part but he wouldn't recommend a refurbished part. His other answer was to try to sell me a five year Sears warranty 4 times the amount of any other store, yet is was still under the 1 year manufacture warranty. The service call center are overseas and it is awful. Sears store washed their hands of it because I didn't buy an overprice Sears warranty. I finally gave up and purchased a LG new machine.

Original review: May 17, 2019

Please, DO NOT buy this washer no matter how cheap in price you find it. It continues to add minutes to the wash where it takes 1 1/2-2 1/2 hours PER wash. Clothes comes out with white streaks that look like powder detergent is stuck on them when I use only liquid detergent. Water saver means not enough water to cover the clothes. The deep fill option is only available at some settings as for bulk loads. Even using this setting some clothes come out dry. I will never purchase a machine water saver or without an agitator because the clothes don’t circulate. This is a piece of 800.00 junk. I would love to throw it out and buy a simple washer that works faster and gets clothes clean. Please, do not buy it or you too will be writing a negative review and be angry at yourself for thinking those other negative reviews were maybe customers not using the machine properly and maybe adding too much detergent. When in reality the machine is a piece of crap.

Original review: May 16, 2019

My Kenmore washer broke down in 1/2017. I paid a Sears technician $99 to come and tell me that a $600 washer required a $1400 repair. I discarded that washer and purchased a new Kenmore washer in 2/2017 for ~$600. In a little over two years, the new washer began to leak water with every wash to the point of flooding the house and making the washer not useful. The washer is getting used by 2 people who use it for usual clothes/sheets washes for a family of two.

After another repair person visit, I was told that the tub is torn and will cost $1400 to replace. So my options are to (a) buy a new washer for $600 every two years, (b) buy a new washer for $600 and then buy a so-called 'appliance protection plan' for $600/year to get a protection plan which pays $500 towards the repair or replacement AND pay the $99 technician fee on each repair. So my question is, as a consumer spending $600 on an appliance, am I expected to pay another $600/yr for repairs to this appliance after two years of life or spend $600 every two years because that's the lifespan of a Sears washer?

Original review: May 9, 2019

I started using this machine Oct 23, 2018 (the date we moved into our newly built home). We purchased an entire home full of appliances including the water softener from Sears. The washer worked ok for about 3 mos before I started calling service. It's still under the 1 yr warranty and I purchased the 3 yrs warranty too. At first they "help" you over the phone, "too much deter, not HE, not the right kind of deter, too much fabric softener, can't use fabric softener, clean it with bleach, clean with vinegar, clean with A-Fresh, your water is too hard, it's because you have a water softener, etc, etc!"

So far they have been here 6 times and their computer says, "It is functioning fine and therefore there is nothing wrong with the machine". I ask, "So I can't EXPECT to have clean clothes from a new wash machine?" The store salesperson says, "The tech makes the decision". The tech says, "The machine is working fine," and refuses to take it apart to show me there is no stagnant, grimy water sitting in the bottom. This machine makes clothes 10x dirtier than before they went into it. Don't bother talking to corporate escalation dept (877-878-3687). They are well trained in giving you the runaround.

One tech named Kyle is actually trying to solve this mystery of the lint-like, slimy, powdery, residue that gets onto (and is very difficult to get off) my clothes. I honestly don't recommend this washer or any other appliance that you may have to deal with Sears. Why can't people/businesses stand behind their products anymore? I bought this machine because in 2008 I purchased a Maytag Bravo that I thought was just like this one. I am told that the "old motor was well built" and that "the government puts such high regulations on the HE washer that it's not enough water to actually clean the clothes."

If companies know this then why on earth are you selling this machine under the expectation that you will get clean clothes!? I'd give the machine a negative 10 and the service department 1 out of 5. I'd love for a manager or store owner to call me. I've left messages on answering machines that say, "We will call you back by the end of the day," and they NEVER call you back. I purchased mine in Mishawaka IN but the people I've talked to on the 800 numbers are not from around this area.

Original review: May 9, 2019

Bought a Kenmore washer in 2017. Installed by Sears staff. Washer made noise and bounced around since day 1. Called Sears service several times and the repair person came out and looked at it and said the problem was probably the floor so on both occasions they put pads under the feet of the washer. Last time I provided the pads as the man did not have any so he said maybe a jar gripper would do. So he inserted them under the washer. Never did he use a leveler to see if the washer was level or check anything inside the washer. So it seemed the pads made a little difference but the shaking and moving continued but not as bad. And I got used to the noise. But now here in 2019 it started getting more noisy and continued to shake and move more. Since I had a family member ill and then died I had no time in the beginning of the year to have someone come out. So I called them last week and they said they would charge me so much.

I then decided to call another company (which I should have done before). The repair person came out and checked everything and said all 3 shocks were blown and leaking oil and that the washer was not level and was off by quite a bit. This was all from the washer not being installed correctly and off level. When I called Sears re this they said my warranty is expired and that I would have to pay for them to send a repair person to check it. They were not helpful in any way. I am a senior citizen and do not have the $700 + to repair this washer. Especially since the problem is because of faulty installation. Is there no justice anymore. Stay away from Sears and Kenmore and LG who apparently made this washer for Sears!!!

Original review: May 1, 2019

We purchased a Kenmore Elite front load washer and dryer combo (592-493040) from Sears about 5 years ago - cost well over 2500$. A visually beautiful Tango Red plus the matching bases. This was a mistake. As a retired couple the machines have had once a week use. Last week the washer started to smoke after the spin cycle and make loud off balance drum noises. The repair outfit just told me that the washer will cost over 750$ to repair and was made in Korea by another manufacturer for Sears/Kenmore. To get six years out of an expensive high end washer is consumer abuse. More fool me... Sears Canada has closed, the extended warranty no longer honored. It seems we bought a Lada disguised as a Ferrari. Advice: Stay away from Kenmore products! (Irony is my 95 year old mother has a top load Kenmore that has been chugging along reliably for 25+ years). What happened to the legendary reliability of the Kenmore product line?

Original review: April 28, 2019

Top-loading High efficiency low-water washer, model #110.2713*410, series 600S. This washer has a deep fill option which you can only use on a few cycles. Machine does not cover clothes enough to clean them even on deep fill. There is no agitator but rather a wash plate which does not move the load well. The manual states it is normal for some items to be above the water line. The truth is most of the items are above the water line and remain that way for the duration of the cycle. For heavier items it is necessary to stop the washer during a cycle and rotate them manually. I would not recommend it.

Original review: April 27, 2019

I bought the front load washer and dryer. They are both large capacity machines which is great. However the washer begins molding within the first few uses unless we leave the door open after use. It also collects coins, hair clips and a wide variety of items in the pump and lines which caused its replacement the first year. Will never purchase another front load washer. The Dryer has been wonderful, but we have had to replace the heating coils after two years. Dries a large load very quickly though.

Original review: April 25, 2019

Machine at times sounds horrible. Called repair and they claimed, that is the way it is. The nature of the beast. When it stops, get a new one. Unfortunately, my parents' machines were still motoring well over 20 years! I have their gas dryer which is over forty years old! Too bad, I listened to my wife, she bought a new one because of appearance!!!

Original review: April 22, 2019

Kenmore Series 100 HE, Worse washer ever! It doesn't get your clothes clean, sometimes not even getting them all wet! Rugs, blankets, etc, don't even think about it. The tub is supposed to fill by sensing your load size, but it never gets full enough, you can't do a full load at one time, the clothes are still dirty, there are dry spots that haven't even seen the water. You have to put your detergent in the bottom because if you throw it on top, guess what? It's still there in all it's soggy streaky glory when the washer stops, along with all the lint, hair and whatever was on your clothes when you tossed them into the washer. I could do a better job pounding my clothes with a rock...

Original review: April 14, 2019

No matter what settings or detergent or how much detergent I use this washer leaves my clothing with lint, white streaks, and stains. It will not even remove the white residue from my deodorant. I hate it. I have to wash loads 2 or 3 times and the loads take 1 hour and 43 minutes to complete. Such a waste of money.

Original review: March 28, 2019

My washer is 19 years old. I had one repair to the barrel for 180.00 which is not anything to complain about in all that time. I only paid 250.00 for it when I bought it. I had problems with the dryer from the moment it got it. I had to have it repaired 280.00 but since then I had worked perfectly. I only paid 225.00 and I got it with the washer.

Original review: March 24, 2019

I bought this washer and dryer set less than a year ago from Sears, first mistake. The dryer works okay however the washer is a piece of junk. The water doesn't fill higher than the clothes. My clothes never come out clean, it's very inefficient because we have to re-wash the clothes so I end up using more water and detergent. I wish I could attach pictures.

Original review: March 18, 2019

It has done a lot of washes some overload but keeps on ticking, whilst doing a pretty good job of getting all the clothes clean. We have had this last machine for ten years, or more so we have no complaints. Yes we would buy another new one when the time comes, depending on the deals a sizable at the time.

Original review: March 17, 2019

Bought Sears Kenmore Elite refrigerator about 3 years ago. One of worst purchases we ever made!!!! Shelves rusted after 6 months & refrigerator totally crapped out a few weeks ago. Customer service was non-existent. Not hard to figure out why Sears is a has-been company on the brink of collapse! Will not purchase another appliance from Sears...E-V-E-R!!!!

Original review: March 1, 2019

After only 2 years it... DIED! Bearing crapped out. Repairman stated all companies make appliances that die in 2-3 years or COST TOO MUCH to repair. There goes an $800 washer. I suggest paying double for a Speed Queen or Bosch or just buy the extended warranty and make the company pay for a new one when it fails!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I purchased this top load Kenmore series 700 washer from Sears less than a year ago. I thought purchasing a washer that saved water was environmentally conscious; however, to my surprise I ended up using more water trying to get laundry clean. Not only does this washer not CLEAN your clothes it is not reliable on a day to day basis. I ended up running clothes thru 2 cycles just to get them clean. Water barely covers clothes even on deep fill setting. It often gets becomes unleveled from drum tying clothes in knots and now it's not running at all! This is the epitome of inefficiency. I do not recommend this product to anyone. I am usually very easy to please but Kenmore has tarnished its name with this machine. I gave it a one star rating because that was the lowest available but I would have given it 0 stars had that been an option.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Both work very well and provide multiple options for what is being wash then dried. The clean mode on the washer is convenient. The time and temperature setting provides a viable option to the other settings.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Without an agitator the clothes do not come clean. Dah, I should have thought of that before I bought it, I know an appliance repair guy that his wife even got rid of her agitatorless machine. That's how bad they are.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

We purchased the Kenmore water/energy efficient washer and we wash on either room temperature or warm water. Laundry most of the time come out not as expected with unclean chocolate stains as an example. Also, we were told by Kenmore that we have to run the express cycle (Very hot water) with vinegar in the detergent pocket to remove residual detergent and to improve the washer ability to clean even normal day to day stains. We are not happy with our purchase. Another aspect that made us unhappy is the annual PM included in a 5 year warranty (paid extra) that often the subcontractor is sending washer-untrained technicians to perform the PM.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

No agitator; it’s water saver; therefore, clothes come out looking dingy and spotted. The dryer has never worked on the “hot” cycle. I have to do 2 cycles to have the clothes coming out of the dryer looking “dry”.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

The washer we bought is one of their cheapest so I didn't expect it to be great and it's not. We bought it a few years ago and now starting to have problems. It bangs a lot and while looking up info for fix it yourself I found a lot of complaints about the washer I have.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I have had this Kenmore gas (Whirlpool) dryer since 1986! 3 years ago I had to replace the motor, so along with that I replaced the drum belt, rollers and igniter. Parts are readily available and being handy I did all the work. People seem to discard large appliances without even seeing if they can be repaired.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I had to replace my old one and chose this one as a replacement. I love the added features this one has over the old one. The automatic water level saves A LOT of hot water use. Being able to designate what type of wash I need done is also a bonus.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

Bought the top of the line Kenmore Elite front loader 2017. Worst purchase I ever made! Have tried every tip for getting the clothes to smell good. I spend more time cleaning the machine and over washing clothes than I ever have. I have used every laundry detergent. From the first day the towels stink. Tried baking soda, washing machine cleaners, using less cleaner and adding scented beads. Calling customer service was a joke. Every time they told me to try something or clean the cleanout drain. I told them I already had. They could care less. I curse this machine every time I use it. As soon as water hits a clean towel it smells like it just came out of the hamper. If you go in the Sears store and open up the machine smell inside the front loader. That is what your towels will smell like.

Kenmore Appliances expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Kenmore is a household appliance brand that has been marketed and sold by Sears since 1927, underlining Kenmore's long time commitment to delivering quality to consumers. Kenmore washers are produced by top brands like GE, Whirlpool and LG.

• J.D. Powers' award: Kenmore has won plenty of awards for its washing machines, including "Highest in Customer Satisfaction" for its top-loading washing machine in 2014 by J.D. Powers.

• Sanitize cycle: Kenmore washers are loaded with great features, including the sanitize cycle on many of its Elite® washing machines. The Sanitize cycle helps kill 99.9 percent of harmful bacteria without using strong chemicals like bleach.

• Best Washing Machine of the Year award: Reviewed.com heaped plenty of awards on Kenmore in 2014, including the Best Value Washing Machine of the Year award for their Kenmore 4.0 cubic feet Front-Load Washer and the Best Washing Machine of the Year award for the Kenmore Elite® 5.2 cubic feet Front-Load Washer.

• Plenty of options: Kenmore offers plenty of options for customers, including top-loading washers, front-loading washers and extremely energy-efficient models.

• Best for: Savers, families, people who are energy conscious and people who want award-winning washers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs