Husqvarna

Compare Riding Mowers

Research top Riding Mowers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Husqvarna 700H 22" Self-Powered Mower: Just a word of warning -- in my 63 years, this is the very worst mower that I have ever used -- ever. It was also the most expensive mower I've owned. Bought it at Lowe's this spring. It has no power. The "mulching" component magically SUSPENDS the cut grass inside the mower housing until the blade gets choked by too much compressed grass, and the entire mower is forcibly shut off. So very frustrating. The only way to restart the mower is to dislodge the enormous amount of compressed grass -- leaving a mountain of unsightly clods on top of your yard. No, the grass doesn't need to be wet or damp for this to happen. Heaven help you if your grass *is* a tad damp. This mower (Husqvarna 700H) simply cannot handle it. I'm a nice person; in fact, this is the first negative review that I've ever written. I've just had enough. This review is completely honest, I have not exaggerated in any way.

Riding mower purchased from Sears was a headache from the jump start. Had to call and set up appointments for mower failing to start, smoking, parts loose. Times were set so far in the future yard got in a mess. After warranty expired had to take it to local certified dealer and spent a small fortune. This gave me buyer's remorse in the worse way. The product wasn't durable at all. I bought about 5 batteries in 5 years which makes me think I may have had electrical issues. It finally died September 4, 2017. Funeral services September 14, 2017. Sunrise 2011 - Sunset 2017.

The mower was bought 6/5/17 and has given me starting problems plus grayish smoke last 2 times I used it. Yesterday while cutting grass it began blowing smoke like it was on fire! My wife spent over 2 hours on the phone waiting on customer service finally talking to a rep who took forever to tell her to take it back to Lowe’s. She was directed to call the local store and arrange for them to come out and fix the problem. However, when she called the local customer service she was told they wouldn't send anyone out but they would pick it up for a fee. She asked if we could bring it instead. They said yes, but before closing. Therefore, we borrowed a truck to take it back to the Knoxville Lowe’s, 210 N. Peters Rd. 37923. It was over 25 miles one way. When we got there and unloaded it they took it into the store. My wife went in to get papers saying we delivered it as instructed.

She was then told we would have to take it to another place. She told them we were instructed to bring it there and was not interested and now moving it to another location. She was then told she would have to sign a paper stating we would be responsible to pay them up to $300.00 for resolving the problem. Less than 3 months old with a 1 year warranty and now Lowe’s is trying to Stick us with a bill for what they told us to do with no mention on the phone by either reps about any fees. Was this a bait and switch like scam? I believe it was! My wife told the original rep we wanted our money back and he told her to take have it picked up.

The second rep looked the first rep’s information and then demanded my wife sign the paper described above. My wife came out to the truck and informed me of the changes they demanded, either take to Anderson Site or sign the note saying we would pay them. I told her to get in truck and we left. We were supposed to get our money back and then switched to paying for them to check it out. RIDICULOUS!!! All we want is our money refunded or another brand new mower like the original one, but not a LEMON! Invoice ** for $1375.57. Transaction #** on 6/5/17.

I was really disappointed with not being able to raise the level of the cut any. It meant it was absolutely worthless to me in the condition delivered. Here it sits... over a year later and never mowed a darn thing.

Purchased Lawnmower new from local Lowe's end of May. I only used it about 4 times to cut 1.5 acres of grass. Lawnmower stopped moving and was smoking. Wouldn't go forward or backward. Loaded it up and took to local distributor because I owned it 41 days and Lowe's absolved themselves after 30 for floor model mowing equipment. Local distributor has mower for 31 days. Meanwhile, I have to pay someone $100/week for these 4 weeks to cut my grass.

Fast forward to August 1, when I get Lawnmower back from repair and they explain they fixed the transmission. Cut grass ONCE, and the very next time I try to use the mower again, it has the EXACT same problem: smoking and will not proceed forward or backward. I call the Husqvarna customer service line to try and seek resolution in the form of a replacement Lawnmower or my money back. Rep says he can't issue a refund or a new mower, that I have to go through the distributor again. Meanwhile, it rains every day and I will have to pay someone twice as much to cut this high grass. What a terrible piece of equipment that I wasted $1900 on! I am so upset and discouraged by their laissez-faire attitude. Do Not Purchase this!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Husqvarna?

We bought the weed trimmer at Lowe's after comparing many brands and styles. I already owned a Husqvarna leaf blower and have been very pleased. The weed trimmer was light, quiet, and very easy to use. The string feed is a major improvement over other styles offered by other manufacturers. It only takes a light push on the ground to advance the string. It starts easily and has a lot of power for a 2 cycle. I will definitely purchase other power tools from Husqvarna in the future.

I have had a YTH24V48 for over 3 years and it has been a great mower. We clean the air filter often and change the oil and filter as required. The only problems we have had is when I hit rocks. We move about 4 acres with it, during the summer each weekend during the winter about once every 4 weeks. Living in Texas the grass grows all year long. I recently purchased a Z254 and this is a beast. Great mower - starts and runs like a top. No problems with it at all. Again we change the oil, oil filter and air filter when required and clean it after every use.

Does not mulch... belts that control the all wheel drive get clogged no matter if the setting of the lawnmower is low or high. Shouldn't have to mow your grass more than once. The lawn looks terrible when I'm finished mowing.

We purchased a new Husqvarna YTH21K46 riding mower from Lowe’s located in New Hartford NY store a few years back. While I was mowing our lawn yesterday (7/16/17) I noticed flames shooting out the front cowl. This appeared to be a fuel line that may have became defective and failed. The mower is complete loss and we are now looking for a new mower within only a few years of purchasing this one. Local law enforcement and fire department were called to extinguish the blaze since the fuel tank was nearly full. We have had nothing but problems with this mower since we purchased it, the engine mounts were never tightened from the factory and I had to install new ones. The welds on the mower deck broke and had to be re-welded. The exhaust manifold kept coming loose, the list goes on and on.

This is very disappointing and somewhat disturbing knowing this fire could have caused serious injury. We won’t be purchasing another mower from Husqvarna due to the quality of the product. I have reached out to Husqvarna about this issue and they did take an incident report and said they would be calling me back. I will update again once they respond or if they respond.

POS. First can't reverse without shutting off mower (Husqvarna 46" Rider w/ lg bags) or unengaging blade which causes unneeded stress on drive belt being engaged off and on (a lot!). Lever to engage/unengaged slams your right knee cap! OW! Safety??? Bagging SUX! Bought large bags. They are terrific. Problem is the mower clogs constantly. Wet or Dry = clog. Short or tall = clog. Small twig = clog. I spend more time with this crappy mower then I ever did with my old Sears on the Fender shifter. Takes me an EXTRA HOUR to mow my 1 acre. Tires? SUCK! Small uphill grade and the tires just spin. DO NOT BUY this mower unless you like frustration and have a great deal of time you don't need.

Purchased a new Husqvarna Riding Lawn Mower. M# YT48XLS. Had it for 3 months. First day I used it the left front wheel just rolled off of the axle. No biggie, I replaced it and went on. The mower would not charge the battery. I had to fully charge the battery about every 2 weeks. Took it back to the dealer where it was repaired. I was told that an alternator and a regulator was replaced under warranty. Also since day one the deck which I feel is poorly designed would get clogged.

The blades would not discharge the clippings. I had to buy a mower lift so that I could clean under the deck after about 1 hour of mowing. Also when deck begins to clog the center blade will leave uncut grass in the middle of the row of cut grass. Bottom line I have to clean under the deck with a pressure washer about every 1 - 2 hours of use. TERRIBLE DESIGN!!! By the way the dealer Habersham Hardware has been very helpful. They are trying.

Husqvarna 240 chainsaw: Total junk... Couldn't get it started out of the box. Finally did, made very few cuts, died, wouldn't restart, replaced plug ignition mod, fuel filter. Torn completely down, re-gapped everything. Still, won't start. I won't buy Husqvarna again.

I bought this blower from Lane's Outdoor Equipment in Chipley FL on 8 May 2017 because Husqvarna had a $40 rebate with the blower. I completed the forms before the rebate expired and emailed to them. After waiting almost two months for the rebate I called the rebate center and was told that they have no record of my paperwork. I sent the claim form and the sales receipt but they don't have them. Now that the promotion has ended they are sorry (really sorry) but they can't honor their agreement even if I re-submit the required paperwork. I have several other Husqvarna products but this will be my last one. They suck!

Purchased two brand new push mowers from Lowe's, both have been terrible and one just died. We had purchased the extended warranty yet like everyone else; they blame us for it breaking. Terrible product and terrible warranty. I will no longer purchase from Lowe's or a Husqvarna product.

I bought this mower to replace a 25 year old John Deere. After a while one gets tired of working on them before using them. I purchased it at Lowe's in April, In May the belt came off so I called Lowe's and they told me to bring it in. I did and after three weeks I picked it up. Right away the belt came off again. This time I called Husqvarna and they told me to take it to a dealer, I did. Two weeks later the mower is back home, I have finally been able to cut the entire lawn, but guess what? The belt came off AGAIN! Husqvarna used to make really quality equipment, I have a 20 year old chainsaw that has never given me any problem. If I had known this was the way they treat their customers I would have bought another John Deere. Now I have to take it back to the dealer and hope they get it right this time.

Husqvarna 455 Rancher Chainsaw - The chainsaw is well built and reliable until it begins to leak bar oil. Husqvarna knows that this problem is very widely reported by most model 455 owners. The part fails after about 40 to 60 hours of use. The fix is replacing the oil feed hose with a new style (correctly manufactured) hose (part 158551400(1)). The part costs $2.95. The labor costs $53.00. The repair is covered by the 2-year warranty or the pay extra extended warranty.

Husqvarna notified its dealers about this manufacturing defect, shhhh, but did not notify registered chainsaw owners. Husqvarna will not do the right thing and issue a general and advertised recall. Memo to Husqvarna--do you see all (hundreds) of 1-star ratings on this website? It is a prescription for laying off many of your workers. Your quality and customer service ratings have plummeted lower than even Black and Decker. Do the right thing, issue a recall and free repair when it is Husqvarna's fault.

I had a similar situation to some of those I'm reading here. Bought a Husqvarna riding mower at Lowe's with an extended 3 year warranty. Worked fine for two seasons, this year all of a sudden a loud clunk noise and the mower started smoking. We shut it down immediately and called for service. The repair facility fixed it and sent it to Husqvarna and they denied the claim, saying we had to have run over something or hit an object in the yard and it wasn't covered. We didn't hit anything and there is NO damage to the blades, but apparently that doesn't matter. Wish I would have seen this site sooner and would have never bought the mower. Will never own another Husqvarna product again, and I'm not real happy with Lowe's at this point either who got an additional $200 for a warranty that seems will never be honored. Would have given zero stars if I could have.

We bought a Zero Turn Mower Husqvarna with a Hydro-Gear transmission and ONLY used it for 2 summers. The transmission went out and neither companies want to warranty out the transmission! I told one of the guys with Hydro-Gear "I'm sure you don't have one of these mowers because they are crappy," he laughed and said "no". I will make sure EVERYONE finds out about their crappy mowers and service!!! So pissed!!!

Riding mower serial #031915A056372 - Bought riding mower from Lowe's. Husqvarna mower was recommended by salesman. The mower was purchased on 5/2015. It worked beautifully for 2 seasons. However on June 4 2017, my son cut the front half of the yard with no issues. When he got to the last half of the yard, the mower started making a horrible sound. My son disengaged the deck and jumped off of the mower, thinking that it was going to explode. After waiting several minutes, we tried to start it up again. It started right up but had an even worse grinding noise, complete with a horrible vibration. He immediately turned it off and we had to push the mower up the hill to the garage.

I called Lowe's warranty number and after 2 days the local repair shop picked it up. Today they call me and say that the deck is completely busted loose along with the PTO clutch. Numerous other pieces and parts missing (there were no pieces found in my yard) and that the mower was "abused or used commercially and is therefore not covered under warranty". The mower has always been garaged kept, fluids check and changed regularly. I told the repair shop that there is nothing in the almost 2 acres that could have ripped off the deck and clutch. No damage could be seen anywhere on the mower, no scratches or dents, just the deck and clutch hanging. Right now, nothing is covered under warranty. I'm responsible for repairs. $2000.00 thrown out the window. There is no way that I would pay for repairs on this thing. I'll put the money on a new, different mower.

I love this weed eater and it's a beast but it is a specialty weed eater only sold at Lowe's. This model is sold elsewhere but the one sold at Lowe's has a different type air filter that is hard to find. I purchased one online that didn't work and they wouldn't refund me because I ordered it. Lowe's doesn't carry the air filter nor do local suppliers. They can't even find the part. Why would Husqvarna make a product that you can't find replacement parts for. The model is 9671752-01 and the serial number is 160603045. Someone please help me find this part or at least the part number.

After looking at reviews (greatest thing since sliced bread) I decided to purchase one of these (Husqvarna ST227P Snowblower), what a mistake. I have used the machine approx. 10x and have had it back to the dealership 7x. To date they have had to replace the carburetor -- machine would not keep running, replace the drive - would not go forward or backwards, belts broke second time I used it, gas lines split and leaked gas after the first season, plastic for the discharge chute controls snapped off and remember this is after only 10 uses. The dealership has had the machine more than I have. I attempted to exchange it for another machine and or have my money refunded but Husqvarna said no but they would extend the warranty for an additional 6 months and keep having it fixed until the warranty run out. In the meantime I have had to borrow a friend's machine, pay to have our driveway plowed and shovel.

The last time I took the machine in they had to replace the drive which took 2 months for the parts to arrive. Twice when I went to pick the machine up after being called because it was '' repaired'' I have had to leave it due to the machine breaking down when they were trying to load it on to my truck. I contacted Husqvarna who in turn contacted the dealership I purchased the machine from and were told that the gas lines leaked was due to me leaving ''old gas'' in it over the winter. Unbelievable.

All of my equipment is winterized and some are 15 plus years old and have never had the gas line changed, what a joke!! It appears that Husqvarna's quality has gone and I will not be purchasing any more of their products. I currently own 2 of their chainsaws, both over ten years old and never an issue but speaking to friends who have purchase new ones they have had nothing but issues. At this point I am rooting for the greenhouse effect and we never get snow again!!! What a waste of $1698.00.

Have rebuild carb twice a year. Husqvarna never took responsibility for a piece of junk. Done everything they told to maintain it. Billings in Royal Oak MI would not tell them to replace the carb. Will never buy anything from them or ever buy anything Husqvarna ever again.

Purchased new mower (46" riding mower) less than 2 months ago from Lowe's. I love many things about the mower mostly the pep getting up hills and the light weight that I can easily get unstuck from around my pond by myself but my love affair ends there. With the light weight comes the cheap quality of components. Mind you I replaced a John Deere mower that was about 10 years old and only had problems with battery. So far this mower has busted the housing that holds the deck and blade together. It is very poor quality, cheap metal that busted off at bolts. Talked to Lowe's and they said it would cost me to get the mower to a repair center and I would be without it some time while they repaired it. I couldn't afford to be without a mower so I replaced the part myself. Shortly after the bolts fell out and deck again failed, ordered new bolts and replaced.

Next is the belt keeps falling off and it won't go into reverse without fighting with cheap, plastic foot pedal that bends when you try to press it with your foot. It locks up in either forward or when you finally get it into reverse locks there as well. The quality of the parts used is the worst ever. Who would expect a flimsy piece of plastic to last very long as a foot pedal? So I am a single parent and this was a major investment for me, and now I am forced to be a mechanic because I can't afford to be without a mower. I wish in hindsight I would have gone with the JD but it was heavier and it was important that I be able to lift the mower out of the mud myself when I got stuck.

Crappy mower and crappy tiller - Underpowered mower for the price and ever since I bought it the damn gas cap leaks. Even worse now. I called Husqvarna. They wanted me to my mower in my little car and drive instead of sending me a new gas cap. Then I bought a rear tine rototiller. Same thing with leaking gas cap. I'll never buy Husqvarna again. STIHL is way better. Too bad they don't do mowers or tillers.

I purchase a new lawnmower in July 2016. After a half-dozen uses 2 bolts came out of the handle. To replace them the service center had to dismantle the rear of the lawnmower. When I spoke with the manufacturer I was told this was not covered under warranty. I chalk it up to very poor workmanship on the part of the manufacturer. I cannot believe any reputable manufacturer would not back their product for 3 months use.

My Dad and I bought this YTH2454 mower new and used it for only a short time before problems started. The front axle is bogus. It starts to lean backwards and then the front wheels start facing out. We took it to a service center and Husqvarna told them it was an operator error? When this happens the wheels will fall off. I took it to a friend and we welded brackets to the frame so there is no way for it to lean back which fixed this problem. The hydrostatic transmission went out which I replaced. The deck hangers keep falling off.

I am in the process now of engineering a new deck hanging system instead of the brackets that slip into a hole. This hole keeps wearing out which in turn lets the bracket fall out and the deck drop on the ground. I have had the holes welded up and drilled out several times. The electric clutch for the blades went out. I have had to replace the steering column. My small engine repair man says the reason Husqvarna will not fix these problems, is that they are in the parts selling business. He said every one of these machines that comes into his shop has the same problems!!! I will never own another Husqvarna product and would advise everyone else to do the same!!!

Just received my second HUSQVARNA chainsaw. My first one is a Rancher 455. First time using it oil leaked out the bottom. We work on all of our own equipment so we tore it down and found the flexible oil supply line hose had a hole in it. We obtained a replacement part locally and fixed it. Great saw, cuts great. It sucks to have to repair a brand new saw. Today I received my second HUSQVARNA saw a T435 14 inch. Filled it with gas and oil, tried it out and guess what. Right oil running out the bottom. Tore it down and again a big split in the oil supply line. Again we have to fix a brand new saw. Went to HUSQVARNA website to try to contact them and nowhere is there any way to email them. So I will wait til Monday to get a replacement part. I have attached a photo of the split hose. Very disappointed in HUSQVARNA quality control and lack of ability to contact them.

Bought a Husqvarna 42" yard tractor June 2016. Has had transmission problems from day one. Now, it's downright dangerous. Transmission will not disengage when you let off the gas. Have to hit the brake to stop it. This happens sporadically so you have zero warning to get the mower stopped. Finally scheduled a repair through the purchase place and they are charging me 200 bucks to pick it up. Worst lawn mower ever. Never again. I will never trust it again so I'll have to buy a new DIFFERENT brand and park this useless hunk of junk as a back up mower.

Husqvarna Zero Turn Mower 4 years old and garbage. I am currently working on this thing and have since the first day I bought it. Just like some of the vehicles on the road today, there should've been a recall on this thing. Hydraulics are terrible due to weight distribution, any small grade going downhill you better get ready to bail, it cannot hold its own weight. Broke the casting on the handle second time using it. Tension pull keeps bending and had to add reinforcements. As for the motor, Briggs and Stratton do not make em like they use to. Kills all the mosquitoes for sure. Bent the push rods. Three other people that I know went and bought the same mower. All four of these machines broke the muffler off. Had to replace the stator. Just all and all I should've bought a Grasshopper. Don't waste your money.

The name LGT stands for Light Garden Tractor. Emphasis on LIGHT. These have the Tuff Torq 46A hydrostatic transmission. This transmission has to be the most widely panned transmission amongst all riding lawnmowers. Add me to the list of very unhappy customers. My transmission is slipping badly after 5 years. A new transmission will cost over $300.00 without labor. Once installed I would have a LGT with the same crappy transmission. Please do your research and stay away from all the Tuff Torq 46A transmission. Forewarned.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Husqvarna offers high-quality design with a focus on easy maintenance and long lasting build quality. This Swedish company started manufacturing lawn mowers in 1919 and continues creating innovative designs today.

• Keyless operation: These riding mowers operate without a key. Instead, the homeowner enters an unlock code and presses a button to start the machine.
  • Fast blade service: The cutting blades come off easily from the deck for cleaning and sharpening.
  • Pedal control: All riding mower controls function through the pedals, so the homeowner has both hands available for steering.
  • Multiple attachments: A wide range of attachments creates significant versatility for this riding mower line, such as a front snow plow and a mulch bagger.
  • Chokeless start: A one-touch start feature eliminates frustrating choke starting.
  • Best for Residential homeowners looking for a luxury riding mower.

Compare Riding Mower