1.64/5
Based on 55 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

95 Huskee Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 25, 2018

I bought the 46 inch riding lawn mower in 2001 along with the 42 inch snow blower attachment. I’ve used it every summer and winter. I mow about 3 1/2 acres and clear snow from a 100 foot long two car driveway. Aside from regular maintenance, I’ve found it to be reliable and effective over the past 17 years. I’m very surprised by the number of negative reviews of some Huskee tractors.

Original review: May 20, 2018

Can believe all the bad reviews I'm reading... I bought my Huskee LT 4200 riding mower from TSC when we purchased our house with 1 1/2 acres in 2013. Since then the only thing I've had to do is change belts, blades and make an adjustment on drive belt tension. So not only do I use it to mow I also use it to pull a yard sweeper and a trailer and plowed snow with it one winter. Yeah there are better mowers but at the time I just bought a house and didn't have much money to work with. This mower has been trouble free for me going on 5 yrs and still going strong. Wish I could find a deck wheel kit for it though.

Get expert buying tips about Riding Mower delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 15, 2018

Thank you Tractor Supply for selling me the Huskee riding mower from hell. I am starting my fourth year of owning this piece of garbage. The first year I mowed twice and finished the season with my electric mower. Battery kept dying. Then the belt kept on coming off. I have had no less than 9 different mechanics tighten, replace the belt. For years we can mow about three rows before we have to put the belt back on. I'm a single mom with a daughter. And yes I thought this would make it easier.

My daughter has been trying to fix it for the past two hours. Meanwhile, I spend time trying to find someone who will make it work. Last year I just hired someone to do the lawn, but I can't afford it. I live in a very nice neighborhood and I know my neighbors think we are the Beverly hillbillies because we can't keep up with the mower. When it takes four hours to fix, then four hours to mow a half acre, who has the time to hold down a job?

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

I wished that I had read these reviews before I purchased my Lt4200 Huskee. I purchased in the spring of 2016 and have had problems ever since. It's a good thing that I did not get rid of my hand mower. Being a female, I thought that it was a good idea to get a riding mower; thinking it would be easier and that I could cut my grass in no time. Well, that's not the case. When I stop and change to reverse it shuts off. If I turn it off after cutting just a few feet it will not cut back on. I recently purchase a new battery because it would not start up this season. Well, it started and I am having the same problem.

Original review: June 1, 2017

This Huskee 54 inch cutting deck has been a very expensive mower to own. I have it in the shop often, including twice so far in 2017, and I have to send it in again. This time one of my front wheels is out of control and I barely got it back in the shed. I had to manually turn the wheel several times to move it in there. The belt is always coming off. I was so mad when the shop put the cover plate on with nuts and bolts, only to have the belt come off a couple of minutes after it was delivered. Don't bother, as it just takes more time to put on the belt several times as I mow. The steering has gone out at least three times. I was dropped twice this year as the wheel took off. Broken pin, and then bent pin the next time. The spindles are very expensive.

Anyway I could have bought another mower with the repairs for this $3000 mower alone and even bought some attachments. Keep a knee pad handy and a long narrow screwdriver to pull the spring back when you have to put on the belt several times. Yes, I've replaced belts several times and fuel line replaced. I wonder what brand to buy next? This one has been very hard with a disability.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Huskee?

Original review: May 17, 2017

Bought Huskee mower new at Tractor Supply in May 2016. In July the engine blew. Huskee replaced the engine under warranty and mowed the short rest of season. Was serviced and parked for the winter. Took it out of storage to mow this year and never made a single round. Same deal. Engine SHOT. Factory would not replace this year. Will not buy another mower with that engine. BTW the authorized service shop did say that they could replace the motor for almost $900. YEAH, RIGHT. No way in hell am I gonna spend that kind of money for another engine that will most probably die in less than a year. Not happy with Huskee or Tractor Supply.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2016

Wish I had never bought this mower. Tractor Supply the only authorized dealer for parts for Huskee mowers. The one in Paducah, KY never has the parts I need when I need them. Ya, can order but no help when I need it now. Transmission belt broke. The manual states that authorized has to replace and special tool needed. It's an ok mower when it's not broke down. Also not built for short people. The safety on the seat has to be disengaged because the mower will not run when I push the pedal because I don't have enough ass to hold down the seat and pedal.

Original review: July 10, 2016

Bought the LT4200 last year, mowed many times with no problem. This year, it suddenly started dying after mowing just a few feet. It only dies when the blades are engaged. Disengage the blade and it will start back up and drive but as soon as you engage the blade again, it dies after mowing a few feet. Replaced air filter, gas filter, plug and blades. Still have same problem. No one knows what it could be. A thousand dollars wasted. MTD makes JUNK.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2015

Riding Lawn Mower LT4200 42 in - Bought a riding lawnmower cash for my 112 year old son for his birthday because that is what he wanted due to him cutting lawns around the neighborhood and at our ranch. He has put a total of 3 hours on this mower and due to bad craftsmanship, the cotter pin that holds the deck broke thus dropping the deck and bending the blade. It has been in the shop since this occurred and we still have not had it repaired (still in the shop). I was told by the store manager at Tractor Supply in Giddings that it could possibly be 6 weeks in repair.

By that time he will not be needing it since we are now in the beginning of another drought and the changing of the seasons will be soon. I would like to have my money back to be able to buy him something else, but no immediate remedies from neither the company nor Tractor Supply. It seems like no one can make an important decision like that. What a shame that in America today we are having to put up with bad service, bad craftsmanship and bad products.

Original review: July 9, 2015

Nowhere can I find a diagram to replace the belts. I have a lt 4600 mower and need to replace deck drive belt. Can't find anyone that can give info on this subject. Been a mechanic for 50 years but never seen a mess like this. Went to tractor supply and was given 2 different belts and they are not the right ones. WOULD HIGHLY NOT RECOMMEND MOWER OR STORE.

Original review: June 14, 2015

After figuring out which way to turn the blade bolt was able to change blades one time. After that not happening, bolt gets so far out and then it just spins does not come out all the way, will tighten up but will not come out. Also sent to shop to have work done one time, a so called recommended shop, will not happen again. After getting mower back started right up and mowed lawn (needed it bad by then). Tried to mow again a couple of weeks later. Would not start, changed out battery, same thing, kept turning key until it finally started.

Shop said nothing they did would cause that, has not started right since, so now I have a mower that I cannot change out the blades and no way to get service. Piece of crap. Wish I had never bought it. Thanks for nothing. Now I know why it was on sale, so they could get rid of it. P.S. Only three years old, been using old blades, now so out of balance do not even want to turn it on, can not get help from Huskee or TSC unless it cost me more money...

Original review: June 1, 2015

Huskee 20 hp 46 in deck - I bought this riding lawn mower 2011 and this thing has thrown 15 belts or more. Today it threw the belt again but it wasn't shredded. This time I noticed a burning smell on the chute side pulley. The pulley will not turn. I believe that I will have to buy a new spindle assembly. The belts on this thing are pricey. If they won't fix this problem or replace machines, they could at least price their crappy parts lower...let's say 5 bucks a pop and I won't complain about the shoddy workmanship of this product. I am a mechanic and I know that the belt is under tremendous tension when the PTO pulley is at an odd angle with the spindles when the blades are engaged.

Original review: May 18, 2015

Bought a Huskee 4600 in 08. Cuts beautifully, if it doesn't break the idler spring every time it mows, or the idler pulley bolt doesn't shear off every 2 times you mow the yard, or the belt doesn't slip off the PTO pulley when you disengage it and re-engage it. Called TSC, told me it was a bad belt, new belt did the same exact thing. Got a belt from a 44 inch Cub Cadet, worked perfect. Junk.

Original review: May 4, 2015

I bought 2 huskee LT 4200 lawn tractors approximately two years ago and both of them have been in for repairs multiple times. Each time they tell me the same thing "we can't find anything wrong." Last Summer they told me that there was dirt in the carb and it cost me $75.00 for each one. I was confused for the simple fact that my gas can has a screen in it and the mower has a filter before the carb how exactly does fit get in? But regardless that's here say. After I got my mowers back I drained the gas, the oil removed the battery on cleans the mowers from top to bottom then stored both mowers in the garage for the winter. Here it is finally spring I've been able to mow with one mower. So far I can't get the other started and of course their answer to me is "sorry it is out of warranty now" so it will cost me more money to fix it now. All I am saying is in the future I won't be shopping at Tractor Supply for my power equipment any more.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2014

I purchased a 50" cut huskee with a 20 horsepower briggs & stratton in early 1997 from tractor supply. I cut 4 acres per week the first year. I then cut 1 acre per week for 10 years. Then 1 3/4 acre per week for 6 years. It's now over 17 years old. Done nothing to engine besides tune up. Mower only put blades belts and bearings on mower deck. Model number 460777. Still using it now. I use it from May to December in Louisiana.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2014

This mower, a Huskee LT4200, purchased from Tractor Supply in the town where I live is probably the worst experience I have ever had both from the product and from the store personnel. I purchased this mower 3 years ago and have had nothing but aggravation with it since. Every time I crank it up it's like "will it or won't it..." most times it's won't.

First the store's personnel: This store is staffed with a ever changing staff of young girls who would be better served staying home and raising children, as most know absolutely nothing at all technical about the product and can only tell you to take it to a service center. My closest service center is about 50 miles away. I am near 80 years old, and loading this on my truck has become difficult at best, so I am at the mercy of a local shade-tree repair guy who delights in putting the screws to customers.

My mower is inside housed, is washed after every use, and is serviced every season. It has only been used to mow 2 areas around my home that are approximately 80 feet by 50 feet and has never been abused. Now, the product: Anything & everything that could go wrong has, from slipping belts to shear pins breaking on the belt's wheel, to fuses burning out... just things that I had never experienced with other riding mowers that I have owned in the past, to include and old Toro and a John Deere STX30.

The latest thing to go wrong was something with the shaft that controls the valves. That had to be replaced and is in the shop now. Why can't these manufacturers make a product that will last more than 3 years, especially internal parts that are super expensive to replace. Why? Because today we live in a world of planned obsolescence and failure, and the Manufacturers plan it that way. Perhaps I should not be writing this as I know that it will bring absolutely no satisfaction to me, but I just have to rant to someone.

Whatever you do I would strongly advise staying away from any products manufactured by MTD, LLC., under any of their brand names. Buy something with a proven track record for dependability, both in produce and service. Now... you all have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2014

Huskee Lawn Tractor - Have owned this tractor for a number of years now...runs and cuts great if you can keep the drive belt on the pulleys. I have replaced the idler pulley and idler bracket and still have the problem of the drive belt jumping off the drive pulley. Bought a smaller diameter belt to see if that would help. Well it helped for a short period of time. Seems the idler pulley and bracket does not allow the pulley to be in direct alignment with the drive pulley which causes the belt jump off the drive pulley. I solved the problem by going to Sears and buying a YTS 3000 Craftsman Lawn tractor. It's a shame... I really liked the Huskee.... Now I keep it around to work on when there's nothing else to do... I'll never buy another MTD Product!!!!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2014

Bought A Huskee LT4200 riding mower from Tractor Supply, 2 years ago, fall of 2012. Got it home and it would not start. Put electrical meter on the solenoid and no power going through it. Component bad from the get go. Loaded back on truck and drove it back. Found the salesman that helped load it and he told me "Well you have to take to a service center". I informed him that, "I had just bought this within the hour. Are you kidding me?" Should have seen the writing on the wall. Went and talked to the store manager and got a new mower which I started before I left. 1st salesman seemed to be put out having to load mower in my truck again and no apology about my trouble with the first mower. "That's real customer service" NOT.

Anyway, starting having troubles starting it the next summer. Had to have the valves gap adjusted. My 1st expense for the summer. Next the filter cover worked itself off. Kind of funny since my son chunked it when it fall under the mower deck. My expense to have a replacement one. (Plus a filter and per-filter, all chunked). Put new one on and adapted it so if ever it worked off again would not (zip screw and small chain) fall under deck. Also went to TSC but of course they changed filter housing to something else. They never have any parts for anything they sell!! So someone else must have had that problem and was re-engineered for the better?

Next and best of all. On my third steering shaft and gear ($40 a piece) in two years. Replaced the first two myself, have 30 plus years of mechanical service skills. Was going to do the third but took it to the local small equipment repair guy who's also a retired Ford engineer. We looked it over and besides commenting about the poor setup with the linkage, pointed out that the position of shaft and steering linkage plate was not correctly meshing from the beginning and never would. POOR design let alone poor manufacturing. Well he is redoing what someone at Huskee should have done if they had any quality control, at all?? Or even care??

Won't buy another Huskee. First one I bought new and up to that point I had MTD riding mowers and I never had issues with over 30 years of having a couple that were bought used. Shows they used to made good ones. Not anymore.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2014

Huskee 4200 - Absolute COMPLETE GARBAGE. Belt came off the 2 time mowing. Tractor Supply allowed me to exchange the mower for the same exact model. It worked for 1 week. Same exact problem occurred. Keeps throwing belt. When you put the belt back on... and engage the PTO... it throws it almost immediately... without even moving. It does this while sitting in IDLE. Called Tractor Supply, then said we were apparently mowing too fast or mowing grass that was 3 foot tall!!!! Are you kidding me, it was in IDLE!!! Going up there (Tractor Supply) today to speak with someone in person. I bought the mower in May 2014 and it has been broke down for about 75% OF THE TIME... NO EXAGGERATION!!!!!! DO NOT PURCHASE ONE OF THESE MOWERS... COMPLETE GARBAGE.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2014

I bought a Huskee LT4600 in 2009 and had problems with the belts slipping and smoking from the start. I thought it might be normal break in. In 2010, as I was mowing on a slightly sloped area, either the belt slipped or it popped out of gear. I'm not sure which, but I started to roll backwards. The belt caught or went back into gear. The tractor started to tip. As it was starting to flip over, my first thought was that the blades are spinning and I am about to get hurt bad. While the tractor was above me, blades up, still running and in a complete roll, I pushed away hard and rolled off. I hit the ground and so did the tractor. I got up and walked away with all my limbs intact (thank God), just a bruised knee and bump on the head. I had some knee pain from time to time until Dec. 25, 2010, when my knee blew up on me. In March 2011, I got a full knee replacement.

I still use the tractor (only on level ground). The belts still slip and smoke. The tractor still pops out of gear when I use it. I made a couple of calls to the store where I bought it and was told someone would be calling me. I never got a call. This is a poorly built and dangerous tractor.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2014

16.5 Huskee mower - This is the best mower I've owned. I've had no trouble with it since I bought it. If I could change something, it would be to have a high back seat.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2014

Drive belt...please tell me the size. As per what I have been reading.... it seems no one knows.

Original review: July 28, 2014

After the TSC's third try to get a working 20 hp. 46" cut Huskee lawn mower to us, we spent the first summer assembling it under warranty. This is not a good start. On year two, we lost 4 weeks of cutting with it as the belts were breaking and the thing had parts falling off during normal use. On season 3, we spent our summer walking behind a 20" push mower as the riding tractor was down for engine repairs and belts again. Season 4, well here we go again, more belts and an engine tune up including a head gasket. And now we are on season 5, more belts. We are waiting for replacement the 3rd time this season. Not to mention the second shoulder bolt this year on an idler pulley. I believe MTD Huskee Co. should be held accountable for manufacturing such crap and marketing it on a on-going basis. They are a shameful excuse for American manufacturing!

Original review: July 21, 2014

I purchased a huskee because we had one 10 years ago and never had an issue with regular oil changes. Deck was sturdy and all so we thought when motor finally gave out. BAD move. Evidently they don't make them like they used to. One season and the deck engage cable broke. That means you can drive all over, but you won't cut anything! We replaced it and that only lasted a week. Something in the body is literally CUTTING the cable. That is just bad manufacturing and an OBVIOUS defect with a cable that is rubbing that much just from engaging and disengaging the deck. I'm very disappointed. The cable, by the way is 70 dollars!!

Original review: July 3, 2014

I just purchased a Huskee 42 Inch cut on 21 March 2014 and already the mower stopped going forward or in reverse. The rep at the extended warranty gave me a number to call for repair. I called the number at least 40 times and no ANSWER!! The warranty lady called the number while I was on the line.. and guess what??? No answer. She said that I would get a call in two business days about the repairs. I sure wished that I had done a consumer review before purchasing the mower. It appears that I have bought a bunch of trouble.

Original review: June 9, 2014

Kept going through belts. Tractor Supply (place I bought it) said I put the mower in reverse too many times. Best part? Broke both the left and right front axles. Tractor Supply said I was making too sharp of turns. Well, not too many people have circular yards. At one point or another you are either making a turn or putting it in reverse. What is worse? belts or axles? Axles are a little pricey, but replacing belts is a knuckle grinder.

Original review: May 26, 2014

I found out that the blades will keep turning. The PTO won't stop. The engine won't idle with the blades going.

Original review: April 14, 2014

Bought a LT420 last Friday 4-4-14. My wife mowed 20 minutes with the mower on 4-12-14. The motor locked down (tight). I came in and looked on the internet just to see if this was a common thing. Oh my, it made me sick to see all the faults. So I went and checked my spindle and the right hand one grinds. I know this will be a problem later. So I got to Tractor Supply and the only option is to send it to the shop. I feel a bad vibe about this. I don't see why they shouldn't have replaced or refund, after I read all the complaints. Tractor Supply should stand behind their products if they are going to sell them. Should I get a lawyer? Someone help!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2013

Purchased an LT4200 in the spring of this year and was told the one year warranty didn't apply to the mower deck engagement cable, which broke at the lever swing pivot and not due to wear, only poor design coming from the store where it was purchased, Tractorsupply.com.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2013

Belts, belts, belts... Got a Huskee (yeah, right) and had to replace drive belt... after 6 sizes, 3 inches smaller than original, it still doesn't move. What a way to spend a whole day, having to take it half apart with each try, then reassemble, it get old fast... Never buy one, you're hereby warned.

Huskee expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Huskee creates economical riding mowers for consumers that are simple and well-built.

• Easy to use: These riding mowers have user-friendly controls and maintenance requirements.

• 7-speed transmissions: The multi-speed transmission lets the consumer adjust to the environment and mowing needs of the yard.

• Tractor and rear engine styles: Homeowners can choose the compact riding mower or a more powerful option.

• 46-cutting deck: This cutting deck handles two acres without a problem.

• 2-year warranty: Warranty protection helps keep the homeowner's investment safe.

• Best for: A homeowner with a small or medium size yard gets a good value from Huskee riding mowers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs