Compare Riding Mowers

Research top Riding Mowers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Wish I had never bought this mower. Tractor Supply the only authorized dealer for parts for Huskee mowers. The one in Paducah, KY never has the parts I need when I need them. Ya, can order but no help when I need it now. Transmission belt broke. The manual states that authorized has to replace and special tool needed. It's an ok mower when it's not broke down. Also not built for short people. The safety on the seat has to be disengaged because the mower will not run when I push the pedal because I don't have enough ass to hold down the seat and pedal.

Bought the LT4200 last year, mowed many times with no problem. This year, it suddenly started dying after mowing just a few feet. It only dies when the blades are engaged. Disengage the blade and it will start back up and drive but as soon as you engage the blade again, it dies after mowing a few feet. Replaced air filter, gas filter, plug and blades. Still have same problem. No one knows what it could be. A thousand dollars wasted. MTD makes JUNK.

Riding Lawn Mower LT4200 42 in - Bought a riding lawnmower cash for my 112 year old son for his birthday because that is what he wanted due to him cutting lawns around the neighborhood and at our ranch. He has put a total of 3 hours on this mower and due to bad craftsmanship, the cotter pin that holds the deck broke thus dropping the deck and bending the blade. It has been in the shop since this occurred and we still have not had it repaired (still in the shop). I was told by the store manager at Tractor Supply in Giddings that it could possibly be 6 weeks in repair.

By that time he will not be needing it since we are now in the beginning of another drought and the changing of the seasons will be soon. I would like to have my money back to be able to buy him something else, but no immediate remedies from neither the company nor Tractor Supply. It seems like no one can make an important decision like that. What a shame that in America today we are having to put up with bad service, bad craftsmanship and bad products.

Nowhere can I find a diagram to replace the belts. I have a lt 4600 mower and need to replace deck drive belt. Can't find anyone that can give info on this subject. Been a mechanic for 50 years but never seen a mess like this. Went to tractor supply and was given 2 different belts and they are not the right ones. WOULD HIGHLY NOT RECOMMEND MOWER OR STORE.

After figuring out which way to turn the blade bolt was able to change blades one time. After that not happening, bolt gets so far out and then it just spins does not come out all the way, will tighten up but will not come out. Also sent to shop to have work done one time, a so called recommended shop, will not happen again. After getting mower back started right up and mowed lawn (needed it bad by then). Tried to mow again a couple of weeks later. Would not start, changed out battery, same thing, kept turning key until it finally started.

Shop said nothing they did would cause that, has not started right since, so now I have a mower that I cannot change out the blades and no way to get service. Piece of crap. Wish I had never bought it. Thanks for nothing. Now I know why it was on sale, so they could get rid of it. P.S. Only three years old, been using old blades, now so out of balance do not even want to turn it on, can not get help from Huskee or TSC unless it cost me more money...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Huskee?

For more information about reviews on please visit our FAQ.

Huskee 20 hp 46 in deck - I bought this riding lawn mower 2011 and this thing has thrown 15 belts or more. Today it threw the belt again but it wasn't shredded. This time I noticed a burning smell on the chute side pulley. The pulley will not turn. I believe that I will have to buy a new spindle assembly. The belts on this thing are pricey. If they won't fix this problem or replace machines, they could at least price their crappy parts lower...let's say 5 bucks a pop and I won't complain about the shoddy workmanship of this product. I am a mechanic and I know that the belt is under tremendous tension when the PTO pulley is at an odd angle with the spindles when the blades are engaged.

Bought a Huskee 4600 in 08. Cuts beautifully, if it doesn't break the idler spring every time it mows, or the idler pulley bolt doesn't shear off every 2 times you mow the yard, or the belt doesn't slip off the PTO pulley when you disengage it and re-engage it. Called TSC, told me it was a bad belt, new belt did the same exact thing. Got a belt from a 44 inch Cub Cadet, worked perfect. Junk.

I bought 2 huskee LT 4200 lawn tractors approximately two years ago and both of them have been in for repairs multiple times. Each time they tell me the same thing "we can't find anything wrong." Last Summer they told me that there was dirt in the carb and it cost me $75.00 for each one. I was confused for the simple fact that my gas can has a screen in it and the mower has a filter before the carb how exactly does fit get in? But regardless that's here say. After I got my mowers back I drained the gas, the oil removed the battery on cleans the mowers from top to bottom then stored both mowers in the garage for the winter. Here it is finally spring I've been able to mow with one mower. So far I can't get the other started and of course their answer to me is "sorry it is out of warranty now" so it will cost me more money to fix it now. All I am saying is in the future I won't be shopping at Tractor Supply for my power equipment any more.

I purchased a 50" cut huskee with a 20 horsepower briggs & stratton in early 1997 from tractor supply. I cut 4 acres per week the first year. I then cut 1 acre per week for 10 years. Then 1 3/4 acre per week for 6 years. It's now over 17 years old. Done nothing to engine besides tune up. Mower only put blades belts and bearings on mower deck. Model number 460777. Still using it now. I use it from May to December in Louisiana.

This mower, a Huskee LT4200, purchased from Tractor Supply in the town where I live is probably the worst experience I have ever had both from the product and from the store personnel. I purchased this mower 3 years ago and have had nothing but aggravation with it since. Every time I crank it up it's like "will it or won't it..." most times it's won't.

First the store's personnel: This store is staffed with a ever changing staff of young girls who would be better served staying home and raising children, as most know absolutely nothing at all technical about the product and can only tell you to take it to a service center. My closest service center is about 50 miles away. I am near 80 years old, and loading this on my truck has become difficult at best, so I am at the mercy of a local shade-tree repair guy who delights in putting the screws to customers.

My mower is inside housed, is washed after every use, and is serviced every season. It has only been used to mow 2 areas around my home that are approximately 80 feet by 50 feet and has never been abused. Now, the product: Anything & everything that could go wrong has, from slipping belts to shear pins breaking on the belt's wheel, to fuses burning out... just things that I had never experienced with other riding mowers that I have owned in the past, to include and old Toro and a John Deere STX30.

The latest thing to go wrong was something with the shaft that controls the valves. That had to be replaced and is in the shop now. Why can't these manufacturers make a product that will last more than 3 years, especially internal parts that are super expensive to replace. Why? Because today we live in a world of planned obsolescence and failure, and the Manufacturers plan it that way. Perhaps I should not be writing this as I know that it will bring absolutely no satisfaction to me, but I just have to rant to someone.

Whatever you do I would strongly advise staying away from any products manufactured by MTD, LLC., under any of their brand names. Buy something with a proven track record for dependability, both in produce and service. Now... you all have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Huskee Lawn Tractor - Have owned this tractor for a number of years now...runs and cuts great if you can keep the drive belt on the pulleys. I have replaced the idler pulley and idler bracket and still have the problem of the drive belt jumping off the drive pulley. Bought a smaller diameter belt to see if that would help. Well it helped for a short period of time. Seems the idler pulley and bracket does not allow the pulley to be in direct alignment with the drive pulley which causes the belt jump off the drive pulley. I solved the problem by going to Sears and buying a YTS 3000 Craftsman Lawn tractor. It's a shame... I really liked the Huskee.... Now I keep it around to work on when there's nothing else to do... I'll never buy another MTD Product!!!!

Bought A Huskee LT4200 riding mower from Tractor Supply, 2 years ago, fall of 2012. Got it home and it would not start. Put electrical meter on the solenoid and no power going through it. Component bad from the get go. Loaded back on truck and drove it back. Found the salesman that helped load it and he told me "Well you have to take to a service center". I informed him that, "I had just bought this within the hour. Are you kidding me?" Should have seen the writing on the wall. Went and talked to the store manager and got a new mower which I started before I left. 1st salesman seemed to be put out having to load mower in my truck again and no apology about my trouble with the first mower. "That's real customer service" NOT.

Anyway, starting having troubles starting it the next summer. Had to have the valves gap adjusted. My 1st expense for the summer. Next the filter cover worked itself off. Kind of funny since my son chunked it when it fall under the mower deck. My expense to have a replacement one. (Plus a filter and per-filter, all chunked). Put new one on and adapted it so if ever it worked off again would not (zip screw and small chain) fall under deck. Also went to TSC but of course they changed filter housing to something else. They never have any parts for anything they sell!! So someone else must have had that problem and was re-engineered for the better?

Next and best of all. On my third steering shaft and gear ($40 a piece) in two years. Replaced the first two myself, have 30 plus years of mechanical service skills. Was going to do the third but took it to the local small equipment repair guy who's also a retired Ford engineer. We looked it over and besides commenting about the poor setup with the linkage, pointed out that the position of shaft and steering linkage plate was not correctly meshing from the beginning and never would. POOR design let alone poor manufacturing. Well he is redoing what someone at Huskee should have done if they had any quality control, at all?? Or even care??

Won't buy another Huskee. First one I bought new and up to that point I had MTD riding mowers and I never had issues with over 30 years of having a couple that were bought used. Shows they used to made good ones. Not anymore.

Huskee 4200 - Absolute COMPLETE GARBAGE. Belt came off the 2 time mowing. Tractor Supply allowed me to exchange the mower for the same exact model. It worked for 1 week. Same exact problem occurred. Keeps throwing belt. When you put the belt back on... and engage the PTO... it throws it almost immediately... without even moving. It does this while sitting in IDLE. Called Tractor Supply, then said we were apparently mowing too fast or mowing grass that was 3 foot tall!!!! Are you kidding me, it was in IDLE!!! Going up there (Tractor Supply) today to speak with someone in person. I bought the mower in May 2014 and it has been broke down for about 75% OF THE TIME... NO EXAGGERATION!!!!!! DO NOT PURCHASE ONE OF THESE MOWERS... COMPLETE GARBAGE.

I bought a Huskee LT4600 in 2009 and had problems with the belts slipping and smoking from the start. I thought it might be normal break in. In 2010, as I was mowing on a slightly sloped area, either the belt slipped or it popped out of gear. I'm not sure which, but I started to roll backwards. The belt caught or went back into gear. The tractor started to tip. As it was starting to flip over, my first thought was that the blades are spinning and I am about to get hurt bad. While the tractor was above me, blades up, still running and in a complete roll, I pushed away hard and rolled off. I hit the ground and so did the tractor. I got up and walked away with all my limbs intact (thank God), just a bruised knee and bump on the head. I had some knee pain from time to time until Dec. 25, 2010, when my knee blew up on me. In March 2011, I got a full knee replacement.

I still use the tractor (only on level ground). The belts still slip and smoke. The tractor still pops out of gear when I use it. I made a couple of calls to the store where I bought it and was told someone would be calling me. I never got a call. This is a poorly built and dangerous tractor.

16.5 Huskee mower - This is the best mower I've owned. I've had no trouble with it since I bought it. If I could change something, it would be to have a high back seat.

Drive belt...please tell me the size. As per what I have been reading.... it seems no one knows.

After the TSC's third try to get a working 20 hp. 46" cut Huskee lawn mower to us, we spent the first summer assembling it under warranty. This is not a good start. On year two, we lost 4 weeks of cutting with it as the belts were breaking and the thing had parts falling off during normal use. On season 3, we spent our summer walking behind a 20" push mower as the riding tractor was down for engine repairs and belts again. Season 4, well here we go again, more belts and an engine tune up including a head gasket. And now we are on season 5, more belts. We are waiting for replacement the 3rd time this season. Not to mention the second shoulder bolt this year on an idler pulley. I believe MTD Huskee Co. should be held accountable for manufacturing such crap and marketing it on a on-going basis. They are a shameful excuse for American manufacturing!

I purchased a huskee because we had one 10 years ago and never had an issue with regular oil changes. Deck was sturdy and all so we thought when motor finally gave out. BAD move. Evidently they don't make them like they used to. One season and the deck engage cable broke. That means you can drive all over, but you won't cut anything! We replaced it and that only lasted a week. Something in the body is literally CUTTING the cable. That is just bad manufacturing and an OBVIOUS defect with a cable that is rubbing that much just from engaging and disengaging the deck. I'm very disappointed. The cable, by the way is 70 dollars!!

I just purchased a Huskee 42 Inch cut on 21 March 2014 and already the mower stopped going forward or in reverse. The rep at the extended warranty gave me a number to call for repair. I called the number at least 40 times and no ANSWER!! The warranty lady called the number while I was on the line.. and guess what??? No answer. She said that I would get a call in two business days about the repairs. I sure wished that I had done a consumer review before purchasing the mower. It appears that I have bought a bunch of trouble.

Kept going through belts. Tractor Supply (place I bought it) said I put the mower in reverse too many times. Best part? Broke both the left and right front axles. Tractor Supply said I was making too sharp of turns. Well, not too many people have circular yards. At one point or another you are either making a turn or putting it in reverse. What is worse? belts or axles? Axles are a little pricey, but replacing belts is a knuckle grinder.

I found out that the blades will keep turning. The PTO won't stop. The engine won't idle with the blades going.

Bought a LT420 last Friday 4-4-14. My wife mowed 20 minutes with the mower on 4-12-14. The motor locked down (tight). I came in and looked on the internet just to see if this was a common thing. Oh my, it made me sick to see all the faults. So I went and checked my spindle and the right hand one grinds. I know this will be a problem later. So I got to Tractor Supply and the only option is to send it to the shop. I feel a bad vibe about this. I don't see why they shouldn't have replaced or refund, after I read all the complaints. Tractor Supply should stand behind their products if they are going to sell them. Should I get a lawyer? Someone help!

Purchased an LT4200 in the spring of this year and was told the one year warranty didn't apply to the mower deck engagement cable, which broke at the lever swing pivot and not due to wear, only poor design coming from the store where it was purchased,

Belts, belts, belts... Got a Huskee (yeah, right) and had to replace drive belt... after 6 sizes, 3 inches smaller than original, it still doesn't move. What a way to spend a whole day, having to take it half apart with each try, then reassemble, it get old fast... Never buy one, you're hereby warned.

Two weeks after buying the riding lawn mower (and using it only 3 times), the transmission belt came off the pulley. MTD directed us to one of the approved warranty repair shops. Surprise! The shop had not done warranty work for them for years. Owner of the shop told me MTD's warranty department was difficult to deal with and didn't want to pay for warranty work. Turns out the transmission belt had been chewed nearly in half by mice while sitting in a warehouse. The owner of the repair shop was able to get $80 from MTD's warranty department... doesn't come close to the $160 he charged us. Going to try to get the rest of my money for the work from MTD.

I live on a fixed income and when the Tractor Supply opened in Mt Sterling, KY I have shopped there faithfully. I bought a Huskee 4200 1 year ago. I have used it a total of 7 times. The rest of the time it has been in the repair shop in Winchester, KY. This was/is a nice looking mower but that does not get my grass cut. My problems started when it stopped pulling up hills this year after it was only used a total of 5 times. I called Tractor Supply and I was informed that this was a throw away model (whatever that means) and that if I did not purchase a warranty through TS for an additional $300 dollars that I was SOL basically and I did get upset.

I decided to let the manufacturer’s warranty handle it, and in doing so it has been taken back for a total of 3 times and it still does the same PROBLEM. Everyone I talked to tried to say that my warranty was out - Now it was a 2 year warranty - I have had it 1 year so how is it out? To make a long story short, the mower is still not pulling and the repair person thought that grass under the deck would make the transmission not pull (now we are not talking about a lot of grass…ok). What is wrong with these people at Tractor Supply? They sell this product - whether you buy an expensive extra warranty or not you should still be able to be treated with respect and dignity.

Everyone has an excuse and no one has fixed the mower right. I have a Murray from Wal-Mart and it is 14 years old and I have never had anything major done to it, why did I ever think that Tractor Supply is a better company as far as Customer Service? I am sorry that I crossed the Street in Mount Sterling, KY and went to Tractor Supply and bought this JUNK. I have spent a lot of money out of my own pocket getting this mower back and forwards to the repair Center just to have someone always try to work on something else other than the problem that I have or always try telling me my warranty is not in effect anymore and I just laugh.

I just got it back from the Repair Center and when I use it again, if it still has the same problem then I will be starting a Small-Claims case against Tractor Supply. I do not believe in doing business in this manner, and I will not keep letting them have my money on a daily basis. If you buy one from them, make them start it, and explain whether or not they think it is a Throw away model and will you be treated with respect if you need a warranty done. Sorry Huskee - the 4200 that I have is total Junk and no one will do anything about it as of yet.

Tires won't hold air since the day we bought it. We bought them brand new and with an extended warranty, took them in for service. Service won't cover it. Then I paid to have tires fixed and sealed; they still won't hold air. I will never buy another piece of machinery from TSC or tires for that matter. We had problems with tires we bought from them too!

I can't believe the lack of engineering and lack of metal. After buying a 2007 Huskee (slt4600 supreme) with the 19hp Kohler, I removed the deck and went to work looking for the failure spots everyone was talking about. First off, the whole chassis is too thin of steel. Second, the variable speed pulley is not the greatest. Third, drive (engine to trans) belts are subject to rub on various linkage or bushings. Didn't find to be a major problem, but definitely subject to premature wear. Fourth, the deck (is this what MTD has come to?) has an issue. No structure, found engaging pulley assemblies, pivot bolt will rust and lock up and/or nut under the deck will loosen. Found three 46" decks with the same problem.

After freeing and tightening the pivot bolt, it fixed the problem. The bad is it should have a thicker plate welded in and drilled. Would fix the loosening of the bolt and the tweaking of the pulley. I mowed a lot of grass after fixing the problem without even a hint of belt shred that people paid for these mowers new. I think it's just wrong that MTD didn't do a recall. Honestly, I do believe older mowers are the way to go. I have an older Deere and Craftsman. They take a little upkeep, but wouldn't trade either for MTD's top of the line. Sold the Huskee, unlike MTD, I sold it with a warranty.

I bought my Huskee 2002 and the deck finally broke. It cost too much to fix, but the mower was a good one while I had it. It took five different mowers before I got a good one. If you are buying MTD products, you could not expect the service I got, but they are cheap mowers. I liked mine, but I am going to buy a real mower this time. My mower was a 21hp 46in cut. This time, I'm buying a Cub Cadet or John Deere from John Deere tractor dealer. The dealer told me that the JD's at Home Depot are made at the MTD factory.

Engine sputters and stops every 5 minutes.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Huskee creates economical riding mowers for consumers that are simple and well-built.

• Easy to use: These riding mowers have user-friendly controls and maintenance requirements.
  • 7-speed transmissions: The multi-speed transmission lets the consumer adjust to the environment and mowing needs of the yard.
  • Tractor and rear engine styles: Homeowners can choose the compact riding mower or a more powerful option.
  • 46-cutting deck: This cutting deck handles two acres without a problem.
  • 2-year warranty: Warranty protection helps keep the homeowner's investment safe.
  • Best for A homeowner with a small or medium size yard gets a good value from Huskee riding mowers.

Compare Riding Mower