Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Home Depot Kitchens Reviews

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

Ok this project started in September when we first had the sales man come out from Home Depot and show us designs for Cabinet refacing, countertops and Backsplash. Chose out all three. We had an extra cabinet lower and upper installed. During the initial process we had the initial installer give a completion date of prior to the week before Thanksgiving. Ha Ha???? Little did we know the cabinets were coming from Canada and were going to be delayed by One week and we are the ones having to communicate with the contractors and not Home Depot. So the original dates given were backed up due to delay in the making of the new cabinet drawers and doors. Plus being caught up at Customs. So the cabinet guy finally makes it out and does excellent work. That part of the job is done.

Next Step countertop. Lack of communication again. The countertop was not ordered and said could not be ordered till the new cabinets were installed for measurements and installation. So back up on that as well. And major lack of communication between us, Home Depot, and the contractors also. The countertop should have actually been ordered in the start of the project when they had the initial measurements to work with. Home Depot has no local warehouse they keep items in and all have to be ordered and is usually on back order. When the installer for the countertop came out to do the measurements for the counter he just conveniently left a piece of paper in one of the drawers saying what the preinstall instructions were without even telling us it was there before he left. :(

It said we're responsible for moving the stove and dishwasher and possibly refrigerator also. Which means we would have to hire another outside contractor to do these at our cost as an additional cost on top of what we already paid. Luckily that did not happen. So the countertop guy finally makes it out after another delay in getting the counter from back order of course. We are also having another sink and faucet put in as well. He removed the sink and along with it takes our garbage disposal collar. Which is the next story of the next installer and an additional cost as well.

So the counter installer comes and installer comes and installs the counter. We're excited awesome new counter. He installs the new sink and faucet. However misses and does not drill a hole for the soap dispenser that came with the new faucet. So he had to be called back out and drilled the hole for it. All good. No. He drilled the hole where a support board was for the sink. Called him back and said, "Well just remove that board. It will be fine and the dispenser will be fine." Ok done. Well not really. The seam under the counter has cracks in it which he is going to have to come back out and repair.

Ok so onto the Plumbing for the sink being done. Lol. Sink guys come out and first thing they are missing is the garbage disposal collar which the counter guys took when they took out the sink. So we're told have to run and get one otherwise can't do the install. Additional 16 dollar cost. Oh fun is not over yet. The plumbers took out our under the sink water filtration system as told them was not going to use it. Guy said, "Well just sit it in the garage." Hmmm. Went out to lunch. Came back, looked in garage and huh. Nowhere to be found. Had to call and have that returned. Hmmm.

Oh but wait. We are finally onto the backsplash being installed at an additional 280.00 dollar expense. So the Backsplash guys come out on Monday and look at our walls and do a measure of the level of the new counter. Counter had a bow in it and we were never told that backsplash can't be installed on stucco walls. So we were told that we have to hire a drywall company to come out and flatten the stucco to have the backsplash put on. The guy says he will be out Tuesday morning. Nope, "Well sorry can't make it out till Tuesday night."

Our original appointment time with the backsplash guys were for Monday and Tuesday. But the installer said he would be back out Tuesday and Wednesday to do the grouting. HaHa. So now being told won't be till Friday because somehow our appt was given to someone else. Seriously after spending close to 28,000 and having to be the intermediary between the contractors and this project now going on 3 months since the initial sale. Has turned into a nightmare. What was supposed to be a nice addition for my Mom to enjoy has been nothing more than stressfully.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2019

I will never do business again with Home Depot!!! They can't get the job done correctly!! Have had so many issue the first week of installation from broken parts been delivered to my home, to having to have my husband clean leaking water, from our sink that Home Depot just installed to having them ask us to go buy Parts for them! Just today the cabinets they ordered and measured got installed and they are the wrong size and it looks like half the cabinet door is missing! Never doing business again. I am so upset! As soon as I called to speak to someone in that department I got nothing but voicemails and still no call back! Go with another company, not Home Depot!

Get expert buying tips about Home Improvement Contractors delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 21, 2019

I bought my full kitchen from Home Depot in Edison, First of all some cabinet and door came broken and some door was wrong, when I complained about that they were not very helpful. I did wrote to Home depot. Complained about it but NO one answered back. I also bought some flooring and they did not have the molding for that at that time, I finished my flooring but still need the molding to finish it up. Now it's more than 2 months and I still do not got the molding which is already in order they keep on saying and postponing the date and says it's in backorder. My apartment is now delayed more than 2 months. Which should be rented by now. I lost couple of tenant and losing the rent because of Home Depot service and behavior.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

This has been one of the worst experiences I have ever dealt with. We were referred to a saleswoman at the Home Depot Kitchen department. She is the only reason there is 1 star. She helped us design our kitchen within our budget. She was actually great. However, it all went downhill from here. We purchased new kitchen cabinets and countertops. Our kitchen cabinets were from Thomasville.

The delivery service Home Depot used could not have been more unprofessional. They were more than 2 hours late from their allotted 4 hour window. The delivery man threw our cabinets in our apartment. The shotty care along with the terrible packaging of the cabinets resulted in many scratches. One of my cabinets had a totally cracked frame. Because of the cracked frame, Home Depot ordered a replacement cabinet. The cabinet was supposed to take 2 weeks. It took 4! And you guessed it, the replacement cabinet had a cracked frame. I do not even know what to say.

Then there is the countertops. We contacted Home Depot to let them know our base cabinets were installed so they can come and do the final measuring for the countertops. The measurer said it would take a week and a half until he had time to come and measure. When he finally came he was in and out in 5 minutes. Refused to take our sink base. Then a week and a half later the countertops were deliver. However, the measurer put the wrong seam in the tops, therefore, the countertops did not fit into our space.

When the installers tried to remove the tops, they damaged our 2 lower cabinets, 1 upper cabinet and our wall. The countertops were re delivered the next day with a second seam. Everything fit, however, the sink cut off was too big! The measurer took the wrong measurement. The countertop installers had to come again. This whole process has been such an ordeal. Steer clear at all costs. You would think dealing with a company like Home Depot would be safe, it was not.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

I've had a kitchen remodel go on for over one year. They removed the heater from my kitchen and never completed the installation of the replacement heater. I haven't had heat in my kitchen for over one year. They ignore my messages. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Depot?

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

To all the first-time homeowners, this review is for you: I was warned that kitchen renovations are time consuming and could be difficult but the additional stress, lack customer service, and horrible recommendations for vendors was far worse than one could experience. Here is a list of discrepancies that occurring during my 7-month relationship with Home Depot:

Cabinets went to the wrong Home Depot location. The kitchen designer at store #1220, where I purchased the cabinets and all kitchen items, kept saying that the cabinets were not at their location even though I would get multiple phone calls and voicemails from Home Depot stating that the cabinets arrived and I needed to schedule a pick up. While I was trying to figure out why I was getting these phone calls, no one responds to email, it is impossible to get anyone on the phone and there is no voicemail system. It took two weeks for me to figure out that the cabinets were sent to a different store and I needed to set up a delivery from that location.

I was able to set up a delivery date of July 26, 2019. On July 21, 2019 I wanted to confirm with my kitchen designer that Gotham Builders could bring up all the cabinets to our apartment. I have in writing that Home Depot would work with our contractor Gotham Builders to bring up all purchased items (cabinets, appliances and miscellaneous materials). I was told by my kitchen designer that our contractor can no longer provide this service.

I called Gotham Builders and spoke with the operations manager. According to Jackie, Gotham Builders has never brought in any kitchen appliances delivered by Home Depot because it creates a liability for their business. Understandable. In April, when we spent $20,000 with your company, it was under the impression and in a written agreement that Home Depot would handle all items being delivered into our apartment. Home Depot and Gotham Builders “do this all the time” and it would not be a problem. I wanted our kitchen renovations to begin and I had four days to this problem solve.

On July 26, 2019, cabinets were delivered. Home Depot deliveryman showed up and dropped off five pallets of cabinets and appliances outside of our building. Luckily, I was able to pay some of the members of the facility team in my building to bring up these items. July 30, 2019, I received a phone call from deliveryman that he is 10 min away with fillers that were not in original delivery - again no confirmation that I was getting a delivery. Also, I work five days a week and I am not always available to pick up my phone and be around to take deliveries at a moment’s notice. I told the deliveryman that I could not accept this delivery.

July 31, 2019, I confirmed with Jason, manager at store #1220, that I would receive fillers on Friday August 2. I took a day off from work on August 2, 2019. August 1, I received a phone call from Jason that the wrong fillers were ordered and that they put in a request for new order - takes 3 weeks to get new fillers. After the conversation with Jason on August 1, I received a call on Friday August 2nd that they have two packages being delivered and on its way. Despite Jason stating that I did not have a delivery, I did in fact have a delivery. Luckily, I took the day off from work to pack up my kitchen to get it.

August 5 is start date for kitchen. August 7, one of the tiles on the floor looked off. There was too much space in between tiles and it was not even. I noticed this at 6pm so I did not think to call the contractor. August 8, 10am, contractor still not here so I called the office. I spoke with someone explaining the tile situation. Contractors arrive at shortly after my phone call. I explain I saw the tile was not put in correctly, so I walked on the floor to see if other tiles in the kitchen were messed up. I get a phone call back from the head contractor, saying that I moved the tile by walking on it and blaming me for giving his guys additional work. Additionally, I was a ** idiot for walking on wet tile and I should know better. It was harsh, rude and unacceptable for the customer to be spoken to like this. If something is not done right, I want it fixed.

On June 25th I received email confirmation that all appliances were in and will be delivered on August 23rd. On August 8, I received a phone call from the fabricators that they cannot take measurements for countertop without all appliances in. I called Home Depot to move up the delivery date to August 16th. I received a follow up phone call that the refrigerator is on backorder until September 25th. How can I get a confirmation that all appliances are in with a delivery date and then find out a month and a half later the refrigerator is not in and on backorder? Stove, microwave and dishwasher will be delivered on August 15th. I decided to cancel my order for the refrigerator with Home Depot. I found the same refrigerator with P.C. Richards and it was $100 cheaper.

August 12th - the workers broke the hinge to our door and we could not enter our apartment. I was locked out of my apartment. Also, they blew out the outlet in our living room that had the refrigerator, TV and WIFI connected to it. Zero notification. Facility workers in my building were able to fix this issue. Again, I received a phone call from the construction company that blamed me for all of these items that were broken.

September 25, 2019 - upper cabinets installed incorrectly. Extremely sloppy job installing the cabinet molding. Sent photos to main office. They agreed and ordered new molding to fix the issues. It would take a couple of weeks for new molding to arrive and be delivered. Additionally, the microwave was installed on a slant.

I received a phone call from my Home Depot representative to check in how things were going. I told him that the cabinets were done carelessly and I hope that someone will come back to look at this. I was told that the contractor would come back the next day. No one came back. I called Gotham the next day and I was put on speaker. I said that I am frustrated with the work that was done in my apartment. I was told that someone would come today and no came. The man on the phone replies “I guess I will have to put our guys on a fence and give them 10 lashes for that.” I replied and said “excuse me?” He repeats that statement again and I could hear laughing in the background. I said I just need someone to come and look at the work. Honestly, that comment was racist and extremely inappropriate. I was very uncomfortable. At this point, I no longer took phone calls or spoke with Home Depot representative over the phone. I only felt comfortable speaking with Jackie, Gotham’s office manager.

October 21, 2019 Home Depot delivers molding. I received three boxes, two of which were soaking wet. I guess they were left out in the rain the day before. All three boxes were open on both sides. As you can imagine, it was extremely difficult for the deliveryman to get the boxes off of your company's truck without molding moving out of the boxes. One of my neighbors helped me bring the three opened and wet boxes from the lobby to my apartment. It was evident that some of the moldings were chipped.

October 25, 2019, I get a phone call from Gotham Builders that our kitchen is done. I come home to find that the cabinet doors were still not even, most of the cabinet doors are touching which makes it difficult to open, the stove was on a slant, the microwave was still on a slant, paint on the floor needed to be removed, and backsplash behind the stove and refrigerator were missing. Finally, all of this work was rectified on October 30, 2019.

My experience with Home Depot was horrible. I was promised by the manager of the kitchen department that I would get a refund of at least $500. I was told by Jason the store manager that I would receive a phone call once the work was complete to discuss this refund. Neither the phone call or refund happened. So, I wrote a letter. I sent it out to any email I could find and I got a phone call from customer service the next day and I was given a $250 gift card. I am not sure if I will use it.

I was lied to regarding delivery of kitchen materials in order to lock in a sale. The contractor that was suggested was horrible. I am not all negative. Penn Fabricators, who did our countertop, was fabulous and I will give them the review that they deserve. Overall, if you live in an apartment building and you are looking to do renovations, do not use Home Depot.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

We paid $18,000 for Home Depot to turn our brown cabinets into gorgeous White ones. That was 3 months ago. The first attempt to install them failed because none of the drawers opened and because all of the cabinets were warped, had visible nail holes, and were just generally imperfect. We reported the problems immediately, and actually were told by a customer service rep that we signed a form saying the work was acceptable, so we were SOL. I LOL'd at her since I'm an attorney and asked for a manager as if my name were Karen. I did my best Cabinet Karen on the phone with this manager and we've since had TWO sets of new cabinets come through and, you guessed it, there are still problems.

The first replacements were also flawed, and the second replacements were the wrong size. To be clear, we're not being picky. The company agrees the work is substandard. For the inconvenience we have suffered, one would expect some sort of discount or compensation...after all, we haven't received the benefit of the bargain we are paying for...but Home Depot has never apologized or offered to work around OUR busy schedules. How many more days of work must WE miss, merely so Home Depot can not do THEIR jobs up to par? DO NOT TRUST THE FUGLY BUMS AT HOME DEPOT TO DO YOUR KITCHEN REMODELING. YOU WILL REGRET IT.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

My husband I saved for years to remodel our kitchen at our home, which was originally built in 1964. We worked with Pam **, a kitchen and design consultant at Home Depot #6533 in North Richland Hills for almost a full year on the design of our tiny kitchen (our entire house is only 1550 sqft, the kitchen is not big), just to make sure no detail was left uncovered. We decided, to try to save a little money, we wouldn’t even change the layout or “footprint” of our original kitchen, no water lines moved, no electrical moved, etc. Just new cabinets, countertops, and appliances.

Everything, including the installation, was purchased through Home Depot. The total cost coming to approximately $27,000 for everything. We were told multiple times that Home Depot would take care of everything and our kitchen would “look like it should be in a magazine” when it was done. Any damage to walls or anything while demo and install were taking place, Home Depot would patch and paint to match our existing. We didn’t order new flooring, because the kitchen was already costing so much!

We paid for everything up front (a mistake apparently) at the beginning of July 2019. Our old kitchen was demo’d on 7/26/19, and we were promised that everything should be done by August 9th. Again, the kitchen is small, and since we weren’t changing any flooring or lighting or the layout, we had no reason to think it wouldn’t be completed when we were promised. We planned a family reunion at our house for 8/17 for 25 of our family members.

Needless to say, it has been a nightmare since the Home Depot contractors demo’d our kitchen. Problem after problem, and none of them our fault. We are now three months in and our kitchen is still not done. Despite almost a year of meeting and prepping, the lower cabinets that were ordered were the wrong size (again, it’s a small kitchen, there’s not very many cabinets). Our cabinet brackets are loose, so some of the cabinet doors overlap when you try to close them, one of the cabinets is cracked and they installed it anyway, our lower cabinets were installed crooked, we have a recessed wall for our refrigerator, and the wall has holes behind it (like i can see our garage!).

Our actual walls look awful, they are dinged and scraped and where they demo’d our old cabinets, they basically just slapped some white paint up there to try to cover it (our kitchen walls are not white, it looks awful). We have several items that have been sitting in our garage for months that still need to be installed, etc. We have no water, no working sink, no working dishwasher. For three months. We had no working oven, until my husband finally just installed it himself, even though we paid for Home Depot to install. My husband also installed our new refrigerator, which Home Depot was supposed to do, after it sat for weeks in our garage. We have no water, so once we were finally able to do a little cooking, thanks to my husband installing our oven, we have to wash our dishes in our backyard with a water hose, or in my CHILDREN’S BATHTUB!

I’ve only listed a few of the big problems here, there are way too many little problems to list. Home Depot is not responding to us, or they keep putting us off. Someone was supposed to come today to do some work, but, as usual, my husband got another text today saying they can’t come. I have sent EIGHT emails to Pam ** in the past week, and she will not reply to me. I have confirmed her email address and that she does still work there, and she told one of the HD contractors that she is receiving my emails, she just is not responding. My husband calls and emails with little to no response.

Needless to say, we are devastated. We had to cancel our family reunion, we have gone WAY over budget, we have spent almost $30K, this is a year-long process, we’ve had no kitchen for almost 3 months. We couldn’t cook for two of those months, at least we can use an oven now, thanks to my husband. My husband and I have 3 children. Having 3 hungry kiddos, and no way to cook is not fun, and we can’t afford to eat out every day!! We saved for years for this. And not one person at Home Depot seems to care. We have been blown off time and time again. We are not rich people, lol. We had to work hard to save for this “once in a lifetime” kind of remodel, and it has been a nightmare.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

We engaged Home Depot Interiors to completely reface our kitchen cabinets and replace countertops in February. The job was supposed to be "high end". We paid over $30,000 for the job before they even started. They started the job in March and it was "completed" in early April. The work, however, was not to our, or Home Depot's, standards. Two division managers have been to our home in the intervening months. Both agreed that significant rehabilitation work needed to be done to "complete" the job, including removal and replacement of a significant portion of the new cabinet facing. The division manager inspected the job on July 2nd and identified 11 significant repairs that needed to be completed, too many to list here.

It is now mid-October and we're still waiting to hear when the repairs will be made. One example of their work...they removed 5 existing under cabinet lighting fixtures and never replaced them. We still have wires protruding from the walls for those! Even though the work and materials have "lifetime" warranties, they are not at all responsive. Save yourself the hassle and stress....I CANNOT RECOMMEND HOME DEPOT INTERIORS FOR ANY JOB. Very disappointed in quality, service and responsiveness. If there were an option to give zero stars, that would have been my rating.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

Remodeling our kitchen was years in the making. How lovely they make the whole process seem in the store. DON'T USE HOME DEPOT. This cost us well over 20K and that was not flooring or electrical. For that amount of money we get nothing but unanswered calls, lies and excuses. Tearout was done almost 2 months ago. We have been without our kitchen for far too long already and we were told it will be another 5 weeks before we can get the install done because the guys are "busy". I think I would rather move than go through this.

Home Depot Kitchens Company Information