Home Depot Floors

Compare Flooring

Research top Flooring recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

The ceramic tile installation of the perpendicular lines are uneven, and the carpet installation, the edges were uneven and not tight enough. The trims all around the walls were also nailed down incorrect, and the nails were also above the trims which creates caution. The transition from carpet to tile is also unseparated, and after asking for a separation of it we were charged for it. We were also blamed for what we didn't do with solid evidence, and because of this if we wanted a repair of this blamed incident there would have also been a fee. This also is not the only blame, there were many others as well.

We recently purchased carpet for our living room, dining room and master bedroom. After 8 months of reviewing the small 4" X 4" color samples that come in numerous degrees of shades, we chose an off-white/cream with gray and black flecks and a bit of brown flecks. The carpet looked and felt sturdy, with tight twists that looked like a dense pile carpet, which is what we wanted so it doesn't mat down. We could have gone with the same carpet type on a 7-day discounted option, but the colors were limited with lots of beige options which I adamantly did not want, therefore we paid almost double to get the exact color we wanted. However, now that it's installed, the color looks like a peachy beige when direct light is not on it and the quality does not appear to the same either; the twists are thin and the carpet is flimsy. We are SO disappointed as we now have peachy beige carpet that clashes with our home decor.

Home Depot initially stated that they would stand behind it and rectify the issue, as the assistant manager admitted he saw the peachy color as well. The carpet installed has appears to have more lighter brown fibers causing the reddish hue. I noticed the color immediately when the installers came, and the roll was on the truck in our driveway in the shade (where the color shows most as peachy-beige). The installers said I could refuse the carpet, but what pressure when our house had been emptied of all furniture, including our bed, and the installer said it would take another month to get a new order -- the thought of all the work we'd done to prepare for the installation and then to put it on hold seemed too much (folks, hind-sight: don't let this affect your decision to refuse the carpet).

Plus when they cut a piece and brought it inside in morning light, it looked closer to what I'd ordered, so they installed it. When the sun goes down or any slight shade falls on the carpet , the rooms are noticeably a darker peachy-beige and not the creamy gray we selected. Home Depot said the mill manufacturer said it's "Snow Bank", what we ordered and it's "close enough" so there's nothing they can do. They talked about dye lots being different -- so, if the dye lot causes the color to be different than what we selected but the mill labels it with the same color name, the mill is right and the customer is wrong, and we're stuck with it? That's fraudulent!

I told Home Depot that this is the manufacturer's issue and they needed to ensure their vendor provides the correct color and quality that THD is selling to their customers if they are going to stand by their products. But this is not the case -- Home Depot does not care about satisfying or retaining their customer, but only retaining their vendor apparently. We're fighting this - any suggestions to help would be welcomed.

Truly appalling customer service. We were told our flooring had come in and set a delivery date. They never showed up. We called several times and kept getting transferred. No one knew the status of our situation. We spoke yo the GM. He never got back to us. We called the CEO's office and the secretary never got back to us. The flooring was finally delivered per a random phone call one day. The delivery guys put the flooring in our garage which we have now found out will not be sufficient for the flooring material to pass the temperature acclimation period. We are now arranging with Home Depot to have delivery guy come back out to move the materials into the house from the garage. Dealing with the midtown branch of Home Depot has been a nightmare. The is a complete lack of knowledge and concern for customer service yet we, as customers are paying thousands of dollars. Unacceptable!

Scheduled a carpet measuring with my local HD store. On my first trip to the store, the flooring department attendant said their systems is down and took my info. I returned to the store the following day to schedule the measurement phase; agreed on a time when the tech would arrive, anytime after 1 pm (I gave up a whole evening for the tech to arrive). Evening before the tech was scheduled to arrive, the tech calls late evening and said she could do my measuring at 8-10 am, and she wouldn't reschedule to accommodate my schedule the store attendant had noted on the instructions. Trying to explain the store attendants notes about her scheduled 1 pm evening arrival, and the tech #** said she had customers to attend to, then hung up on me! I thought I was a customer!!

The following morning, a customer service person from Michigan calls to see when I want to reschedule since I couldn't meet the measuring techs schedule. I explain the evening's conversation and ask for a refund for the measuring fee; she can't do that, said that a store rep has to do that. I call the store that evening, I was transferred around a bit, hung up on once, then finally get a customer service person to do my refund. Sorry for the long drivel but, bottom line, my opinion is to stay away from Home Depot!! Apparently, they are not in the carpet business (or customer service business either)! Their free installation lure looks great but if the measuring phase is such an ordeal, imagine what the installation and warranty follow-up would be like. My opinion, go ANYWHERE ELSE!

A month later, I have no floors. Home Depot store representatives have no knowledge on floor installation and should not be taking orders. I purchased materials, 10/11, and first was not told the 7-10 days meant business days. 11/11 I'm scheduled for installation and installers tell me it can't be done because they can't put laminate on top of particle board since parts of my floor are uneven.

Problem 1 - I told Home Depot store that wood was not under the floor, why was wood put in order. I was never told it depended what's under floor. The measuring company is a different company, not knowledgeable to look under carpet. Problem 2- Cooper Installation doesn't know a contractor that could lay plywood. Suspect. Home Depot store had no recommendations. Problem 3 - I was treated as if it was about money. All they wanted was me to get a credit card. I waited a month for floors, that's what I wanted.

I was able to return the installation, but materials were special order. I'm still without floors due to regular sales people, selling a specific product, with no knowledge. Would you go to a dentist instead of a lawyer if you got arrested?! I went to Home Depot because of their expertise in flooring but it was a disaster. Worse experience. Do not use them until they change policy and become a more transparent company on the floor installing process. A $100 gift card does not rectify 646 sq ft bare with no laminate when I only went to Home Depot for laminate flooring. I never would have shopped there.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Depot?

I purchased Pergo XL flooring at Home Depot. I bought the installation provided by USIG (Attleboro, MA/ RI area). I picked up the flooring myself. USIG scheduled the install, 2 installers showed up, showed their badges, they were knowledgeable, and friendly. The owner of the company did a surprise inspection and asked if I was happy, I told him absolutely.

Bought this product because of the 7 day installation guarantee. Not only it took them 30 days to finally come home but when they did it was a complete mess. We ordered 2 runners and as they didn't have those, they tried to build them right here which ended up in destroying my stairs and, of course, having to send the runners back to the store as they didn't work. When they left (with 2 tools they borrowed from me and never returned) the house was a disaster, with staples all over the place and basically chaos on all the rooms.

I purchased tile floors and grout from Home Depot in August. It took until the end of September for everything to be delivered. When I called to inquire on the delivery I was told "hang tight honey". That should have been my first red flag and I wish I would have cancelled then. Once the product was delivered I had to call the store to get a date on installation. That should have been the second red flag. The installer called me a few days later and said it was a lot of work to be done. He sent out two day laborers who removed glued on wood flooring and tile in less than four hours using a chisel to lift the wood subsequently pulling up the subfloor with the wood. The tile was also chiseled up leaving pits and ridges in the subfloor and the day laborers posing as flooring specialist left all of the old grout behind.

Home depot then told me they were now unable to install the floors because they are too damaged. When I tried to return the product and cancel the entire order they were going to charge me over a thousand dollars for the demolition/destruction of my subfloor. I feel stuck like I have no recourse. This big corporation subcontracted out to inexperienced installers that destroyed my floor and now I am living in a house with bare floors. Negative 5 stars for home depot.

I have not had a good experience with Crew 2. We purchased carpet from Home Depot to be installed by this company. Part of the contract was for Crew 2 to move furniture in the home which is the only reason I purchased through Home Depot. The 2 carpet installers showed up today, were very unprofessional and it seemed as though they wanted to get the job done as fast as they could. First they argued with us about moving furniture which we had to help with, moving it onto our deck. Then when they finished taking out the carpet and old pad, they began the clean up process and used their vacuums and had no care for our trim which now has many nicks and scratches in it. Then when my husband asked them to please be careful since we just had the trim redone, they walked off the job saying that the job was too risky for them.

They said they only have insurance up to $3000 to cover any damages and literally just left our home. So, now we have no carpet, walking around on subfloor with nails everywhere and Crew 2 does not have a backup to install today. I guess we will be staying in a hotel tonight. Very disappointed in the service we received from the installers.

We ordered carpet from Home Depot, and told the sales associate that we had a cardboard type flooring on top of the wood floor. The associate said it was ok because their latest promotion includes free "floor tear-out". We took a credit card out to purchase the service and carpet, and we had a quoter come to our house, where we explained to him that the top level stuff had to come off because it was old and deteriorating. Now the install guys come and say they don't do flooring, and they only pull up carpet, which isn't mentioned in the sales flyer given to me, and it wasn't mentioned by the two store associates (one who came out to our house to do measurements).

It is fraudulent they can put whatever they want on flyers and quoting sheets and not have to comply with their own promotions, which specifically says "floor-tear out", what would you think? And this flooring was supposed to be installed within their guaranteed 72 hour time frame, which won't happen now also. Worst company to do business with, the managers couldn't give a rats ass, so I filed a complaint with the Ohio Attorney General's Office.

On 6/13/2016 my husband and I went to our local Home Depot to inquire about flooring, Big Mistake. We did decide to have our flooring installed by them. After numerous issues - losing/messing up our order several times, not getting the shoe molding we ordered (sent fake, not real wood), the base boards were gouged out (my husband had to repair), the installer (the first one) being at our home until 1AM (from 8:30AM), the others not showing up for the carpet install (had to reschedule that a couple of times), the store Manager ** never following thru with anything. There is so much more to this story, I could go on for days.

We spent our entire Summer dealing with incompetent sales "professionals" at The Home Depot. It took literally all Summer to get the floors installed... Today is 10/17/2016 and we have yet to hear from anyone about our supposed credit for our troubles. I am truly exhausted and do not feel like fighting anymore. I guess that is what they hope for. My advice to anyone that considers getting their flooring from The Home Depot... DON'T DO IT!!!

I feel compelled to write because I was just sifting through some of the negative reviews of HD and their installation. I worked with the Home Depot in Kitty Hawk, NC on extensive renovations to my beach house. This past spring they did carpeting in 3 rooms, tiles in essentially the entire ground level, and hardwood flooring installation in 3 bedrooms, a large hallway, and a STAIRCASE! My needs were unreasonable -- they had like a 2 week window to get it all done -- but they exceeded my expectations every step of the way! For starters, Brenda, in the Kitty Hawk store was brilliant in figuring everything out. The plans and estimates were spot on, which paved the way for a successful installation. I read negative comments on Romanoff installation in another HD review... I disagree! Romanoff did all of the installation for me and the people were GREAT!

The people on the phone, helping schedule this, bent over backwards to make things happen, and even proactively phoned me to avoid issues. The workers who came were great, and did a fantastic job, truly! A special shout out to the tile people... I could not be happier with my decision to use Home Depot... I am now looking to work with them on renovations to my house in Dallas.

Folks, I highly recommend HD. I see the negative reviews and am surprised, but then I realize that this is a national company that does such a high volume -- and yes, using third parties -- so it's inevitable that there will be some bad experiences. ** I've attached photos...one shows hardwood in a bedroom, one shows carpeting in a bunk bed room, and two show tiles in a game room. The photos don't do justice to the work, but they're the best I have...

I bought flooring from Home Depot in August of 2015. Four months later, I noticed the laminate tiles was lifting in the seams. I called Home Depot, and they sent someone to my house. Home Depot said they would replace the tiles. 2 weeks later, I get a letter from Home Depot in Atlanta telling me that the floor was discontinued, and they could not honor the warranty as the floor was no longer available. When I purchased the flooring, the salesperson said it was guaranteed for one year. Isn't this misrepresentation?

They also told me the flooring was perfect for kitchens, then the installer, East Coast Flooring told me that I could not wash it with water. The Sales Rep never told me that either. I had a 2 year no interest plan, but I was only making the minimum payment 'til it got resolved, then Citi Financial Services slapped me with a deferred interest charge of over 600 dollars. I called Citi, and told them my story, and they said "Too bad", I should have paid the bill off, and it is not their fault. The retailer, Home Depot lied to me. What a racket!

Do not have Home Depot installed your carpet. They installed the wrong color and will not correct the problem. They are blaming the manufacturer for the color difference when they installed the wrong color.

Ordered some wood flooring and underlayment padding. As I was checking out the shipping said $12. That was fine with me. I check out and I glance at my receipt. I was charged $67 for shipping! $12 for the flooring and $55 for a roll of underlayment. That is ridiculous in my opinion. I would expect to pay that much for next day delivery not delivery that takes a week for the padding to come in and 2 weeks for the flooring.

We purchased new carpet and padding from Home Depot. Installers came and removed all carpet and padding from the living room, dining room and hallway. After all carpet and padding was removed from our home, the installers said there was a problem with the tack strips and tile on floor, we have a slab home. I inspect tack strips, and I tell the installers that they look and feel fine to me. They said that the tiles were put down in the 50's or 60's and could contain asbestos and they cannot do the work.

The installers call Home Depot. Home Depot manager calls me. She tells me that I would have to remove the perimeter of tile and tack stripping then they would reschedule installation or carpet. I tell the manager that there was no issues 20 years ago when they had the carpet laid. Meanwhile the installers are packing up their van to leave. I ask what about my carpet and padding that we paid for. She replies with, "you can have the carpet but the padding is our labor." I told her that I have the bill of sale that states that we paid for the carpet and padding. Now the van has departed from my driveway and is long gone. I ask why didn't the installers pick up a section of carpet first to see what was under it. She had no answer to that question. I call other carpet and floor stores and explain the issue at hand, they told me that the tile is fine and I was had by Home Depot.

I go to a carpet store with file, in hand and a piece of the tile that the installers pulled up. He saw the file with Home Depot's name on it and proceeds to tell me what happened. I did not tell him the story, but he sure hit every single issue right down to me being told to pull up the tile. An hour later he was at my home to measure and inspect tile subfloor. He saw no issues with anything. From the diagram that I had that the measurer did from Home Depot, he showed me how many seams there would be had they installed it. There would of been many unnecessary seams. He will be installing our new carpet. But thanks to Home Depot I had to call neighbors for rugs to cover exposed tack strips, cut the echo noise down, protect the dogs and our feet from tack strips until the new carpet is installed. Home Depot is not worth the cost of a nail.

We had carpet installed a couple of years ago and since then the seams are fraying badly. When we called to have it dealt with, they procrastinated for a while and then finally they sent out a very arrogant person to look at it. He said they would do something about it but we have never heard from them. We called and left messages but none of our calls were ever returned. We will never have anything installed by Home Depot again. Too bad, they used to be a trusted name.

We had a date set for carpet installation a month in advance. The day before we had received no verification call so we called but received no call back. Called at 8:15 the day of the proposed installation and were told they would arrive between 10-12 . At 1215 we called and were told they wouldn't be coming back until 3 days later. Said they had tried to call us... We were home and received other calls but none from Romanoff R. They lied about trying to call us. Renovations.

Transaction Information. Dispute Information. Transaction Date: 07/02/16. Dispute Date: 08/04/16. Transaction Amount: $3,458.95. Dispute Amount: $3,458.95.

Merchant/Description: THE HOME DEPOT 0977 PARSIPP Dispute ID: **. This document contains a summary table of events/issues, and detailed description of the multiple problems related to the above. Additionally, there is an appendix below, showing number of images related to the issue. Additionally, a full Home Depot receipt summarizing purchased items is attached separately, as PDF named HomeDepotReceiptFmt.pdf, with checkmarks (V) corresponding to the materials returned, and corresponding services marked as (F) (Failed to Install, or Failure to suggest alternative solutions), and (T) for floor rip-up service that was done, effectively destroying my existing flooring.

Summary table. Date, Event, Amount, Paid Notes. 06/26/16 - Initial Measuring Purchase, $25.31, Advised No issues will be with install. All necessary measurements will be taken. 07/02/16 - Measurements taken, Laminate Materials picked, $3458.95 Again! Advised No issues will be with delivery, or install. All necessary measurements were be taken, and any other uncovered issues will be addressed on the spot. 07/23/16 Delivery - Delivery was made curb side, despite being paid for full carry-in service. We were asked for our help, Home Depot driver left, and we had to carry materials ourselves, curb side to 3rd floor condo.

07/26/16 Scheduled Install - No install done, even though prior date was confirmed for 07/26. No prior communication on multiple occurrences. All communication facilitated ourselves.

07/27/16 - Rescheduled Install - No install done. Existing flooring RIPPED UP, AND REMOVED (see Fig. 1 Fig. 5). Advised install of the materials could not be done as selected. Suggested option of having alternative materials (hardwood) installed. 07/27/16 - Picked out new Materials in-store (new order formed) - Picked SKU 260589 from Home Depot online (see Fig. 7 - Fig. 8). 07/29/16-08/01/16 - Advised selected Material is Not Available! - Material was confirmed to be available from Manufacturer, and number of other stores. Still shows from Home Depot online today: SKU 260589 (see Fig. 7 - Fig. 8). 08/01/16 - Was told to pick another available material. Only out of available in Home Depot Store - No other materials were to our liking. Due to lack of options, and failure of Home Depot completing the contract, requested refund of the initial order without any additional fees. Was told manager will call to discuss.

08/03/16 - No calls were made to further discuss matter - $3458.95 Disputed, Transaction with Citibank, for $3458.95. Between 08/10/16-08/15/16 - Called Home Depot HQ 18004663337 ext ** (Amber) - Amber advised she will check with the store. Between 08/10/16-08/15/16 - Received call from Store #977 (ext. **) - Advised full refund will be issued after the materials are picked up. Scheduled material pickup. 08/15/16 - Received call from Store #977 (ext. **) - Materials were picked up by Home Depot (see Fig. 6). 08/17/16 - Called Store #977 (ext. **) to check refund status - Was told full refund will be issued through credit card.

08/22/16 - Partial Refund issued -1502.99 Partial refund roughly $2000.00 less than paid amount.

08/24/16 - Called Home Depot HQ 18004663337 ext ** (Amber) - Spoke to different associate. Was told Amber is handling this case and will get back to me. 08/26/16 - No further communication from Home Depot - Still have removed floors. Current No communication from Home Depot - Awaiting Refund, going through Dispute process. Floors are ripped up, pending install by alternate vendor.

Detailed Description. We are not flooring experts! Home Depot is (or at least claims so)! And we have made a mistake, and decided to purchase the new laminate flooring from Home Depot Parsippany Store #977. After picking our selection of laminate, we discussed the purchase with the store flooring associate, who appeared to be knowledgeable on the subject. After talking to him, and mentioning that we live on 3rd floor, in condominium without elevator (see problem #1), we have asked whether the delivery of the materials will be a problem.

The answer was No. We have also asked whether the installation could be an issue knowing that some of our flooring had been somewhat uneven (see problem #3).

The answer was: It will not be a problem. If needed installers will make needed small adjustments as they go. At this point, we have paid a nominal amount (still money), of $25.31 to schedule a measuring appointment. We were told that measurer will make all necessary measurements to make sure flooring can be installed.

Measuring appointment went almost without a hitch. The measurer seemed knowledgeable, and completed area measurement, as well as lifted up part of our carpeting to view flooring inside. Our current under flooring is apparently plywood. Again, after talking to installer we were looking forward to having our floor install. One thing worth mentioning is that lifted up carpet was never put in back, so after measurer left, we ended up with a piece of carpet lifted from under its attachment point, and just kind of hanging there. We have figured this was not an issue since we are getting new floors, anyway. On July 2, 2016, we have received a call from Home Depot that we could come in and finalize the order. Myself and my wife came in and again asked same questions regarding material delivery, and installation, with answers to the same effect.

I have asked for best quality and full service with respect to materials, service, installation, and quality of the work, regardless of the price. I was told that Home Depot does it all, and everything will be done to the utmost quality. Shortly after, the installation was scheduled, for July 26 (roughly 3 weeks after, it was our choice). Full amount came out to be around $4200-$4300. We were told we needed to pay roughly 80% of the full project cost upfront, which seems ridiculous if you ever purchased anything for your home or business (but that's a digression). After paying roughly $3500, we eagerly awaited for materials and flooring. And... here we go:

07/23 Problem 1 (medium) Delivery. Delivery was scheduled for Jul 23, 2016 (that’s roughly 3 weeks later, but our choice). Before the delivery date, a person named Doug called and said that delivery CANNOT be completed to 3rd floor condominium as Home Depot only delivers materials either curb side, or first floor first room. So much for full quality service! I pity older or disabled folks who would have to go through something like this However, I have decided to swallow the pill, and bring these items up to 3rd floor myself. The delivery was done curbside, while we paid for full carry-in delivery!

There was a single delivery person, who dropped the materials on a dolly, and asked for OUR help to push it further onto the curb. After that was done, he simply dropped the materials on the grass, in front of my condo building and was off. The carry-in took me 2-3 hours, but it was done! I carried 46, roughly twenty-five or thirty pound up 2 flights of stairs. Not to mention cleanup that needed to be done to all packing materials in front of my condo. Btw, disposal of waste was also fully paid for. May not seem like much, but you should try it on a nice hot (90F) summer day.

07/26 Problem #2 (medium) Installation Scheduling. The Installation was scheduled for July 26. That was done first week of July, 3-4 weeks before the install date--by our choice. It is also worth mentioning that I am a consultant, and I do not get paid as I take time off from work. On July 26, I stayed home from work, waiting for installers. No prior call was made to us to confirm the install window. At around 10 am, and no communication, I started to get a bit worried. After calling The Store (Home Depot #977), I got through to someone, who called installers and said they will arrive around 12 noon. A bit suspicious for a project like this. I assumed installing this much flooring (About 600 sq. ft.), and removing current one, would take 5-6 hours. But I am not an expert and figured I leave it to professionals.

The 12 noon came along with no calls or other communication again. After waiting for an hour, at around 13:00, I called the store again, and this time was forwarded to customer service professionals. “Professionals” (someone named Dee), never picked up their phone, and I had to leave message. After hearing no reply for another hour or so, and trying 5-6 more times to call the store (calls being dropped at that point), I jumped into a car, and went to the store. After waiting in flooring department for about 10-15 min, I was greeted by another associate (manager), named Patrick. He was very courteous, and got in touch with installers company (they are not Home Depot) right away.

After that installer called me and said they would NOT be able to come in on 07/26, due to issues with previous job, and they definitely would arrive on Jul 27. I expressed my dissatisfaction with the service at that time, and asked to talk to a manager. He scribbled down some information, and left. I have not heard from him since.

07/27 Problem #3 (major) Installation. Taking another day off on 07/27, the installers arrived on time, and got to work right away. Seemed very capable and experienced. They immediately said the floor looks uneven, and started pulling up my carpeting, for install. After clearing most of my living room, and hallway from carpets, installers took more measurements, and declared that the floor is too uneven, and there is no way they could install laminate flooring on it. Puzzled with this sudden turn of events, I have asked what are my options at this point. To which installers shrugged their shoulders, and said that only a 3 ¼ inch solid hardwood install will be the option on such floor.

Notice, that this is AFTER all the measurements were done by none other than Home Depot services. And after all the assurances of the problem-less install. At this point I have a hole in my living room (stripped down carpeting), full of nails. Not very great for my 3 year old, who likes running around, and jumping on the carpets! Installers left!

07/27 Problem #4 (medium) restarting the whole thing! At this point I have a hole in my living room (stripped down carpeting), full of nails. So, jumped in my car, grabbed my wife (who is busy medical professional even off work hours), and went to the store to pick out hardwood. After not finding anything at the store shelves, went to Home Depot, and after long search, found something we liked online, Store SKU 260589. After talking to customer service “professionals” again, they have invited a store manager (I believe) for a conversation. The store manager asked customer service people to follow up on the NEW order, essentially starting everything from scratch, including measurements, materials, etc. At this point, I was very frustrated with the whole experience, but given the fact my home is torn apart for the install, I had little choice but to move forward.

07/29-08/01 Problem #5 (major) unavailability of materials or options! I will not go into details on moving my family out of the home to my sister’s place, living out and being stabbed on the floor full of nails, waiting for measuring people again, etc. Will roll forward to 07/29, at which point a store associate called me, and said that material we have picked out IS NOT AVAILABLE, and we had to pick something else. Yet, I opened the web site, and there it was, online on Home Depot web site, ready to be ordered!!! Store SKU 260589. You will likely find it on the web site today. After browsing the web at various stores, and manufacturers web site, I have called the manufacturer, and was told materials are available, in plenty, and can be ordered anytime. I have communicated following to the Home Depot associate, at which point he promised to look into that.

On Monday 08/01, I got another call from an associate, saying that the material was not available, and we had to pick something else. Me and my wife made a fair attempt to pick something but no other color/material combination is something we could use. I have mentioned to the associate, and customer service that after all the trouble I went through so far, the least the Home Depot can do is order the material from ANY place at cheaper price, and sell it to me at higher one. Home Depot has refused to accommodate me after all the prior messups!

08/01-09/03 Problem #6 (major) returning items, getting refund, no communication. 08/01: Given that there were no further options with the Home Depot, I have called customer service requesting details on how they would like to handle order cancellation and returns. Associate name Maria (works with Dee), mentioned that they will arrange the item pickup (3rd floor condo, no elevator), and I can return all the items and pay 15% restocking fee, and advised that a manager will call me to discuss. After all the above, another fee, seriously?

08/03: After waiting for 2 days for manager to call, I have called an attorney for further discussion of the issue, and disputed my transaction with Home Depot on my credit card. 08/10-08/15: After a few back-and-forth calls with Home Depot Headquarters (18004663337), and discussing the matter with associate named Amber (extension 77514), I have received a phone call from store #977 (extension 100), stating that they will pickup the materials without restocking fee, and will issue full refund.

08/15: Home Depot associates arrived and picked up all previously purchased materials. 08/17: No refund was issued. Following up with store #977 (ext 100), I was told that the refund will be issued by the bank (Citibank), because Home Depot cannot release transaction. 08/22: A refund was issued in the amount of $1502. Roughly $2000 less than what was paid! 08/24: After calling Home Depot Center, and trying to reach Amber, was told she would call me back to discuss the matter. No further communication from the store was made.

Conclusion - The mess in my apartment is ongoing, no floor, waiting for new merchant install. My 3 year old daughter and wife temporarily moved to a more suitable location, with normal living conditions. And I am currently working with a different store/vendor to install flooring. I have also contacted an attorney for further addressing this matter. Additionally, I have photos documenting the “high quality work”, or destruction Home Depot leaves behind.

Service person for floor measurement was on time unfortunately, he was very verbally abusive. Also he acted like he was very inexperienced as if this was the first time doing this work. The results ended up proving this suspicion. Quote contained many extra cost additions that were not requested and made the price over twice as expensive than a regular independent installer. The additions were not transparent as to their individual pricing nor was it clear what was optional or required.

A re-measure was scheduled after the first one was scrapped. The results of this one were also bogus due to their quoting all wood floor i/o part wood and part carpeting. This, after an upper level manager Dave ** assured me, the quote he was sending me would be screened and verified for accuracy. I had called him within an hour of receiving the quote to discuss it but, he had left for the day (at 3 pm??). This measuring service of HD is an embarrassment and, a total waste of time. Now you can't say you weren't warned.

As a first time home buyer and owner of a landscaping company I always swore by Home Depot (Wareham, Ma). I had a carpet installed in our home and it was an "in-stock" carpet. The carpet abuts the kitchen, dining room, two bedrooms, a dining room, a sliding glass door and a bathroom. At every point the carpet meets another floor the tack strip is coming through. Both myself and my wife have been stabbed in our feet multiple times. Multiple calls to the store (got nowhere), multiple calls to corporate (got nowhere but a bad attitude).

They offered to refund us our money and come (remove) the carpet and WE would have to pay the difference for what would be a better carpet. This is a $700.00 sale! After it all we would have to still pay over $400.00 for a "better carpet". They have absolutely refused to eat their mistake and lost a customer for over 20yrs (private and commercially). Unfortunately, the lawyer has been contacted. If my 2yo child or my dog is injured due to this carpet "issue", there is going to be a substantial lawsuit. I hope I help you make up your mind. PLEASE JUST GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!!

I ordered my laminate floors from Home Depot and chose Canada Home Installations to install them. I had to wait over a month to get them installed. Finally the day came and the installer came but he did not come with any materials! Home Depot had forgotten to deliver them! So that was a WASTED day!! I got a call from customer service apologizing and I received the materials later that day.

2 days later, the installers came in. The floors looked good however they were short on a small piece of material. They said someone will come to install the small piece. Well it's been a month and you think they would call me to inform me someone is coming?? NO! I called them twice. Same BS, "Oh we are still waiting to hear back from Home Depot for the material". It's a $25 T-square wood! I could have easily driven to HD and buy this piece! So my floors are great except for the gaps between the floors! Of course they are NOT going to make an effort to fix it - They already have their money!

We chose Home Depot after several friends said they had such wonderful experiences. We even went to friends' homes to see the new carpet and how was installed. We could not be more disappointed. Not only is every seam visible, but there are multiple seams!! One square room and a hallway should not have 6 (Yep 6!!!) sections of carpet. It is terrible to look at. You cannot miss them either. And no furniture placement is going to hide them, especially in the hallway! The edges are just as bad as the seams. They are bunched up in some places, on others it looks like the carpet was stretched just to reach. My freshly painted walls are scratched up in multiple locations where the carpet was slid down the walls. Like running sandpaper over them. (You can see in the photos we still were letting the paint cure before removing the tape!)

We have stepped on multiple loose staples in several places. We have kids and a dog. I cannot be constantly worried about someone stepping on one and getting hurt. The whole installation took 4 hours!! The room is NOT big enough to warrant this. Long story short we contacted Home Depot immediately the next morning. We brought in the photos and spoke to them directly. We were told they would contact the installation company, Crew 2.

After not hearing anything for a few hours we called back. We were told the Home Depot manager was in a meeting and had left for lunch and as soon as they returned would be told of the situation. A couple hours later we were called and told that Crew 2 would call us. Still another day later no one has called! We called again, and again we were told someone was at lunch and they would call us back. When they finally did return the call they said that Crew 2 would be in touch. No one has yet to call me. We have left messages and several emails. At this point we will never recommend someone go through them. Not only is the installation terrible but their customer service is just as bad. Wish we had checked up on them more. Expensive lesson learned.

Updated 8/12/2016: A week has gone by now. Crew 2 sent a technician to repair their seams that were so horribly installed. The seams are still very visible. Not just because we know where they are, but because they are just very visible even after the so called repair. The Crew 2 tech said (and I am quoting this!!!) "hopefully in time you will not see it." How anyone can say that about their work is beyond us. The manager of Valparaiso Home Depot has still NOT contacted us. We have even reached out to their District Manager and he has not responded to us. This is the absolute worst customer service we have ever seen. Never ever go through them. Unless you like throwing out thousands of dollars.

I purchased a floor in April 2016. It is now August and I do not have a floor. The installers did not have enough product to finish the installation because of a bad measurement done by Home Depot. When the installers returned weeks later to finish the floor they noticed the floor was warping and bowing and told us the floor wouldn't last a year. They asked us if we took a steamer to the floor. Home Depot ordered more floor to replace the 1/3 of the damaged floor. When the installers came back out they said now 2/3 of the floor was damaged. When the installers opened the box sitting in another room the product ordered to replace the damaged product was already damaged. Planks were bowed and edges were damaged.

Home Depot will not correct the issue claiming water damage, but cannot find any source of damage. Note the box of replacement product was in another room without any water sources at all. I have been a customer for over 10 years and have NEVER been treated this badly on a project ever. Stay away from flooring and the manager. I expected better of this company.

I was getting ready to sell my house and looking for a good quality, spec carpet to replace the bedroom carpet I had. I went in before Easter and the sales lady encouraged me to buy a line of carpet that was of good quality but was being discontinued. She assured me that given the size of my room that there would be plenty of carpet when I stated this concern. The man who took the measurement seemed competent enough. He used a computer to "draw" the room, and measure the area. He told me a regional employee would set up an installation time. Time passed. No carpet and no phone calls. I returned to the store twice and could not find the sales lady who had helped me. Other employees gave me her schedule, but she was not on the floor when I would go back in.

Finally, I was advised that the carpet would be installed on a Friday. Not a day that I had off work. I had to take the day without pay. When the installer arrived, he asked me to come out to his van and look at the carpet to be certain that it was what I ordered. It was not. It was a very cheap line that I had never seen. He asked to see my sales slip. He then said that this carpet was not the right merchandise. I sent him on his way because I did not want what Home Depot had sent and went to the store. I found a "manager", who was apparently part of the sales force. I asked him about the carpet, went and pointed it out, and he said that that carpet had been discontinued, it had NEVER been on sale and was now sold to another customer.

The carpet description on my ticket was NOT the carpet that the sales lady pointed out. The carpet the installer brought was also not the carpet described on my sales slip. I was getting ready to list my house and had to cancel the sale and start from scratch with another company. I got a fair shake from a carpet specialist. I would advise anyone else to do the same thing and spare yourself the hassle I went through.

We had an estimate for entire home. Once Home Depot estimated kitchen they recommended laying laminate flooring on top of laminate flooring. Now it's coming up and they refuse to fix it and 2 different sheens were later.

The first of May we selected new carpet from the Branson Home Depot. We set up for the measure to be done a couple days later. That's when the trouble started. When the installer showed up 3 weeks later, after removing the old carpet and installing the new pad, we found out they did not plan the layout we requested. Not only was there a seam between the rooms but several small pieces seamed that were totally unnecessary. We did not allow him to continue and called Home Depot. Long story short, we ended up having to wait another 3-1/2 weeks to have the carpet (they had to reorder the proper amount) installed so we had to walk on carpet pad and watch for open tack strips during that time.

Then the Romanoff installers butchered the edges, made several inaccurate cuts and tried to stuff small pieces in to cover their mistake. The correct layout had only one seam and it was totally visible when finished. We had a big party on June 24th and our living room looked horrible. I sent the manager of Romanoff Renovations photos of the horrible installation his people did. Finally after several complaints, Home Depot sent out one of their people to assess and correct the problem. Fortunately the idiots who installed the carpet didn't stretch it at all so there was enough give to redo the entire install otherwise we would have had to wait for another 3-4 weeks for carpet to be reordered again. The whole process took over 2 months and a lot of grief. Will go back to using Lowe's for carpet next time.

For the 2nd time I purchased carpet from Home Depot and for again they failed to keep their word. Our rent lease was over Sun. New house needed carpet. I was told that measurement people will be there Monday and carpet will be install Friday. Based on their promise we hired moving co, contacted all utilities and cable co, changed insurance, changed address, and informed landlord we will move out Sunday.

Measurement co. did not showed up Monday. We contacted HD. They said there was mix-up and they come Friday. We describe the situation to all rank and file and told them if we do not evacuate the rental property there would $250 daily penalty - no action was taken. We were told installation will be Wed. We canceled all arrangement - paid some penalty to moving co. Measurement people showed up Friday. We received a call that installer will be there Wed. We rescheduled all moving activities for Thursday.

We called installer co several times. Unable to talk to anybody that knows about the date - left several messages. Eventually they called us Tuesday evening and informed us it is actually Thursday. Bottom lines we paid $1100 penalty to landlord and moving co. Spend several hours on the phone to schedule/cancel/reschedule moving activities, talking with people in store. It was a nightmare - no more trust in HD words.

I have shopped at my local Home Depot for many years. Last fall, when I bought a house I wanted to have the old carpets removed & replaced with solid oak flooring. I wanted to have the kitchen & main bathroom flooring replaced with new vinyl. I wanted to have the work completed before I moved out of my apartment and was assured that 6 weeks would be plenty of time. The day after I received keys to the house Sep 15, I arranged with the local store to have their required measure appointment ($50 non-refundable, but applied to purchase). I didn't know what vinyl I wanted, but the store rep said to just tell the measuring rep when they came. It took almost 3 weeks to have the measuring appt. Since Home Depot didn't think 6 weeks was a problem, I arranged for a moving company & utilities to be shut off/turned on & gave notice on apartment.

While waiting for the measuring rep, I removed all the carpet, padding, old vinyl, and particle board underlayment. I had the entire 3/4" x 6" solid wood subfloor cleaned & painted to seal pet odors. The measuring rep said absolutely nothing about any issues during the 1+ hour on-site visit. It took almost a week to get the estimate. There were significant changes made in the estimate that didn't make sense and were not according to oak flooring manufacturer's installation instructions.

There was a long involved conversation (3-4 hours) between the store rep and the estimator. It turns out that the measuring & estimating is done through a contracted company, not Home Depot. Major changes were made to the estimate by the estimator company. Home Depot had to order some supplies through their regular ordering system. Some supplies had to be special ordered & delivered to the store to be picked up by me. Some supplies had to be ordered online & delivered to the store to be picked up by me. A total of 3 separate purchases. The oak flooring (52 boxes, weighing 56 lbs each) were to be delivered to the house. They wanted ME to carry the boxes from the garage level up 1 flight of stairs (63 yrs old & 2 bad knees). A compromise was made in accordance with manufacturer's installation instructions.

The materials & labor had to be paid in full before the installation could be scheduled. I violated the mandate to NEVER pay for a service job in full before the job started, because this was a major company and unlikely to abscond with my money. My mistake. The installation of both the vinyl (2 rooms) and oak flooring (6 rooms, hall, stairs) was scheduled to start 4 days before the moving company was arriving with my things.

When the prearranged time came to deliver the 52 boxes of oak flooring, The truck didn't arrive until a hour late, didn't have the equipment to allow the flooring to be delivered as arranged in the "compromise". Turns out the delivery truck is a subcontracted company not related to either Home Depot or Carpet Pros (installation company). Several hours later, many phone calls, 2 additional people, & extra equipment, the flooring was stacked on 2 pallets.

A week before the installation, CarpetPros (installation subcontractor) called to verify that the flooring was delivered to their specific instructions. I explained that they were delivered as had been arranged with Home Depot. Another 1/2 day of phone calls & Home Depot had to come back to the house with several people and additional equipment to comply with their own subcontractor's requirements.

The day the oak flooring installation was to begin, the installer arrived. The installers are subcontracted by Carpet Pros who was subcontracted by Home Depot The installer objected to the location that the flooring was delivered to even when shown the manufacturer's installation instructions. The installer said the 3/4" solid wood subflooring had problems (first I had heard anything about that). The installer refused to begin installation. Another day of phone conversations with Home Depot, Carpet Pros, apartment manager, utility companies, insurance company (extend renter's ins) arranged another installation appointment, extended my apartment rental for 1 month (could not extend it further since it was rented.), postponed utility changes.

Because the installer said I had to provide the heat vent covers and cold air return vent covers I spent a day hunting for what I wanted, I took the detailed specs into Home Depot to verify they would be acceptable. Then I ordered them, stained and polyurethaned them. I took another day off work while Home Depot sent 2 people out to change the location of the flooring delivery to satisfy Carpet Pros (subcontractor) delivery requirements. This was the 3rd time the 52 boxes weighing 56 lbs each had to be shifted. Mistake #2: I didn't just tell them to take the flooring back.

Meanwhile, I received notice that the special order items were available for pickup. I brought in the notice to Home Depot and was given a couple of sealed boxes and a long cardboard tube. Turns out the items were only a portion of the special order, and a portion of the online order. Had to return to Home Depot to retrieve the other items.

The vinyl installer (also a subcontractor) arrived for the kitchen & bathroom install. He was ready to leave when I pointed out that the installation directions were for him to reattach the toilet in the bathroom. The wax ring had to be replaced 2 times before a 3rd extra tall ring was picked up and installed. The installer was observed to be putting full weight on the toilet and bouncing on it to get the toilet even close to touching the floor. After leaving, I went to put the floor heat vent covers in and they didn't fit. The 2 vent holes in the vinyl were hourglass shaped so the covers will NEVER fit unless the vinyl & particle board are cut.

Day #1: The installers arrived at the 2nd install date. It is supposed to be a 4 day install (for 6 rooms, hall & stairs). When questioned, I had been assured by both Home Depot and Carpet Pros that there would not be a problem getting the work done. The installers arrived an hour late and worked all day putting in 3/8" underlayment in parts of 2 rooms. I gave the installer the heat vent covers (solid oak, flush installation) and cold air return covers (solid oak). The installer didn't know what the heat vent covers were. He asked me how they are installed. He said he'd never seen them before. When I said that I had the details of the covers approved by Home Depot before I ordered, stained & polyurethaned them, there was another 1/2 day of conversations between me and Home Depot, me and Carpet Pros, and me and the installer.

On day 2, they spent 1/2 day taking out all the underlayment they put in the prior day, then put in 3/4" underlayment. This made 3/4" solid wood subfloor + 3/4" underlayment + 3/4" solid oak flooring!!! I called Carpet Pros & Home Depot to report the change and point out the problems this will cause at doorways, edge of flooring @ stairs and @ fireplace undercut.

By the end of day #3, parts of 2 rooms were completed and part of the hall. I called Carpet Pros & Home Depot to let them know there was about 1/7 of the job was complete and 3/4 of the time was finished. I was told that the installer had extended the install time 3 days. Since the original contract said that installers do not work on Saturdays or Sundays, I had made plans for Saturday. I had to change those plans.

Day #6: The installers made minor progress that day. My estimate was it needed 3-4 more days. There were significant problems with installation (1 heat vent covered over, fireplace undercut not able to be used to. There were gaps up to 1/2" between flooring and fireplace brick, doorways bumped up and down 3/4", wood trim at side of stairs were gouged and damaged, a 3/4" bump up at the top of the stairs, and many other smaller problems).

Day #7. (Sunday) Before the installers came again, I went to Home Depot. I talked to the assistant manager (again) and said I wanted him to come to the house, bring a measuring tape and camera, and I wanted to have him come before the installers arrived for the day. He sent someone else to document the problems. That person notified Carpet Pros. The Home Depot rep, Carpet Pros manager, and the installer arrived to review the problems. I said I didn't want the installers to come back until there was a plan to fix the problems created so far.

I had to move out of my apartment. During the next 5 weeks, I had a half dozen groups of Home Depot & Carpet Pro managers, district managers, installers, etc. They tried to tell me that the installation problems created were because they didn't know about flooring problems until after they started work even though I pointed out the 3/4" solid wood subfloor was clean and bare at the time the measurements were done. After 5 weeks, they agreed, as a "special customer relations decision", they would give me my money back for the flooring because they would not be able to fix the problems. I had to sign a statement that I would not hold Home Depot accountable for any damage done related to the flooring install (which was significant). To add insult to injury, the vinyl flooring that Home Depot installed has started to bubble up at all 3 doorways.

It has been 7 months since I told Home Depot/Carpet Pros to stop the installation. I recommend NOT using Home Depot for ANY installation since there is no communication between the store and their subcontractors (either direction). By the time the installers are also subcontracted. There is no accountability and no oversight of the actual work. It cost $3000 to tear out the bad Home Depot job. While getting estimates to have the flooring redone, 2 companies said this was the worst job of installation they had ever seen. One of them said an installer was fired from their company for doing some of the things Home Depot/Carpet Pros did.

A new hardwood flooring company (that is all they do) delivered flooring upstairs exactly as arranged, on the day and time as was arranged. They installed a beautiful 3/4" hardwood floor without any underlayment (according to manufacturer's installation instructions) so avoided the many problems the underlayment caused. They took 5 days to tear out and install the flooring beautifully. They repaired the damage done by Home Depot/Carpet Pros to the stair sides. I will NEVER have Home Depot do installation of anything.

First off, the person measuring the rooms failed to get all the rooms, so that put us back 4 days right there, while we waiting for them to come back out and measure. I wish I had come here first. In short, we ordered over $7k worth of hardwood laminate and carpet. After being lied to about the status of our laminate, we found out that after nearly 3 weeks, the laminate had not even been ordered yet. We had told them we were on a tight timeline and they gave us the "no problem" line. We are here with no furniture or anything, waiting on floor installations. After this 3 weeks, we found the laminate was back ordered, yet we never even received a courtesy call. We only found out because we called wanting to know what the delay was. So, we told them the hell with it and cancelled the laminate order. They didn't even bat an eye. They just cancelled the laminate order. OK, done is done.

In the meantime, our carpet was already in, so we told them we would go ahead and buy that and have it installed. Well, a week later, the installers show up and after a bit he tells me, "we have a problem". Turn out they didn't order enough carpet to do the bedroom and walk-in closet. Even though the sheet clearly said to order 15 ft. wide carpet, some bozo at Horrible Depot ordered standard 12 foot carpet. That means we would have had 3 big seams, and still not enough to do the closet. We called Horrible Depot and they suggested rescheduling, but that the carpet would have to be special ordered, and could not advise when it may be in. Guess what, I will be cancelling the carpet order as well. In turn, I did what I should have done in the beginning. I went to a local flooring company, where in under 8 days I will have my carpet and laminate installed. If it were not for the fact that Behr paint is so good, I would never step foot in a Home Depot again.

Home Depot Floors Company Profile