2. Homeowners
  3. Flooring

Home Depot Floors

Home Depot Floors
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.92/5

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Home Depot Floors Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Depot Floors?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Depot?

Original review: Dec. 6, 2020

I called for an estimate to purchase and install laminate flooring. Local Home Depot employees caused a number of mishaps (wrong phone number, incomplete address, etc.) which they tried to blame on me. After finally getting measured, I called as directed (to the corporate office?) for a quote. This was also an ordeal as they continually entered the wrong information. The customer service representative seemed unfamiliar with their products because she couldn't find item and model numbers. I had to look them up for her. When she finally found it with my help, she informed me that they didn't have a matching border for it--but they would bring me unfinished border, and I could paint it myself. She was great about trying to sell me cleaning products, though.

I was ultimately informed that I would be unloading the truck and carrying the flooring BY MYSELF into my home. She also told me I'd need to put the flooring where it needed to be in each room. I asked if they expected me to carry it to the second floor. She thought I was only getting one floor of my house done. Apparently, she didn't look at the measurements for two separate levels of my home, so I doubt I would have received an accurate quote. I'm an older, small female. While I'm in good shape, I assumed since I was paying the company for the product and installation they'd unload their own product. I then remembered years ago I bought a water heater from Home Depot, and the able-bodied man who delivered it watched me have to carry it by myself to the back of my home.

At least they let me know beforehand this time. Despite the water heater incident, I have been a loyal customer to Home Depot. I'll never buy anything from them again. I was treated rudely, and the people I dealt with (other than the man who measured my house) were entirely incompetent. I have called several other businesses (Lowe's and small local businesses) for estimates. I asked first thing if I would have to unload the flooring myself, and they acted incredulous that anyone would ask that question--as any decent company should.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2020

The customer service at such a large store is laughably bad. Finally had to go through BBB to get a callback. Took 6 weeks and “lost carpet” to get our carpet. The installers are great but HD was terrible.

Get buying tips about Flooring delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2020

Strong recommendation: do not use Home Depot for your flooring needs as they use a company called "USIG" for their flooring installations. I will shorten my story as best I can. My nightmare started in May, 2019 and ended in July, 2020. We contracted with Home Depot to have our existing Pergo and tile removed throughout the house, and then have all that replaced with new Pergo purchased through Home Depot. The cost was in the thousands. Home Depot uses a company called USIG to do their floor installations, and have used them for roughly 20 years. Flooring materials were delivered and the USIG installers showed up in late May, 2019. Only one could speak any English, and that wasn’t much. They removed the existing flooring and installed the new Pergo throughout the house and it looked very nice.

The work was completed in June, 2019. However, the USIG installers had not checked the cement foundation to ensure it was level before putting down the new flooring. They should have. The contract stated that the floor would be brought up to specs if it was needed. Within a month after the new flooring was installed, the floor began to creak and squeak throughout when you walked across it. I called and stopped in at Home Depot to complain and asked that someone come out and fix the problem as both labor and materials were under warranty.

Communication from/between Home Depot and USIG appeared poor or non-existent from the beginning of this effort. Fast forward to January, 2020. Over the next few weeks, several inspectors came out to inspect the flooring installation - 1 independent, 1 from USIG, and 1 from the manufacturer. Home Depot and USIG received a report stating that the floor was not prepped correctly - that the floor was not flat when the new flooring was installed. Eventually, Home Depot and USIG agreed that USIG would come out and correct the problem (whatever effort that would entail) so that the floor did not squeak.

In late May, 2020, a USIG flooring guy came out to start the fix with the mindset that it would be an easy and quick fix - i.e. - taking a few floor boards out here and there, filling in the low spots, and then reinstalling the floor boards. He removed boards and began to pour product on the floor to get it to self-level. As he progressed, he realized the problem was much bigger than originally thought. He discovered that when the original USIG installers did the work, they had not done the necessary prep work to level the floor where needed. After three days, USIG called and told me they might have to replace the entire floor. They would get back to me.

Half of our floor had been pulled up down to the cement; furniture and appliances had been moved; our refrigerator was in our living room; our home was in disarray (and it stayed this way for two months). I tried to get updates several times from USIG about next steps, but I got no information or updates from them. I kept escalating until finally Home Depot got someone from USIG headquarters to call and work with me. Only then did things finally start to move forward.

It was agreed that USIG would pull up the entire (new) flooring, level the foundation where needed, and redo the whole floor with new product at no cost to me. Product was delivered and USIG sent out their best local installer and by mid-July, 2020, the job was completed. The floor looks great and as of this writing, there is only one place where there is a squeak. In the end (after a year), we got the new floor we wanted with no creaking and squeaking (except in one place so far). But I would not wish this nightmare and process upon my enemy. My advice – do not use Home Depot for your flooring needs because of their relationship with USIG.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2020

They subcontract out their work. The installers did a lot of damage. ACS doesn't care about the damage. They said the damage is acceptable to them. Home Depot subcontracts to ACS then ACS subcontracts to random people off the street.

Original review: July 31, 2020

Home Depot - Carpet Services...A joke! The supplier they use CFI...a joke too! On May 23rd, 2020 we got a quote to carpet stairs which included floating stairs. On May 26th, 2020 we ordered the carpet. June 12th...they were coming to install! So excited!!! June 12th, was a disaster. All the stairs were cut short. Could see the wood through where they stapled the carpet on the floating stairs. Looked terrible. A super rushed job. No masks were worn and the installers were rude.

Called June 13th to the local store to voice concerns. Played phone tag for a week after to get situated. Finally, a supervisor called and requested photos. Easy enough, sent. Got a call back saying enough was seen via photos to go ahead and have the job redone. We were told we’d hear from the “best of the best” with stairs to make an appointment which ended up being made for July 6th.

July 6th - Husband takes off of work to be home for the redo. A field tech shows up solo with no carpet or crew. We’re dumbfounded. The guy was there to look at the job already done and then decide if it needed to be redone, however that had already been determined. Oh well. Was told the installers didn’t lay padding down correctly, and acknowledged many more issues with the install that we didn’t even notice and noticed the job was definitely rushed!!! Was told we’d hear from someone in a few days to actually schedule the job to get redone (which we thought was happening on the 6th). We were very cordial about it and patient. Until the VERY next day when someone called from CFI to ask how the install was on the 6th. NO JOKE!

They thought it was installed as we thought it was going to be. We give it a bit, and don’t hear from anyone about the new installation date. We called our field tech and was told CFI was waiting on Home Depot to order the carpet. Meanwhile, every time we called Home Depot, they blamed CFI or was told it was being worked on and upper management was looking into it, yet nobody from upper management ever reached out to us. Finally, after speaking to a great rep at the local store….we got optimistic things were gonna finally get done. They had CFI call us direct and we scheduled the installation date on July 23rd for July 31st. We were so excited about finally getting this all taken care of!

July 31st - we get a call that CFI will be here in one hour!!!! So excited. We asked the installers if they were aware of what happened before and wanted to verify it would be done correctly with the padding, etc. They claimed yes!! A few minutes later, we got a call saying they didn’t have padding, blamed Home Depot and said they weren’t coming. Ridiculous! The lady at CFI then called back and claimed they could use what was here, however, that wouldn’t be enough to stretch around the floating step. More communication errors.

We then called the store manager and explained our frustration. Barely got a sympathetic apology. Asked for a refund. He said he would call CFI and if they (Home Depot) gets their money back, then we’d get a refund. Not the answer or resolution we were looking for. We’ve wasted a ton of time on the phone and three days were wasted for installation that either was done horribly or not done at all because of their lack of communication. Was told by store manager we’d hear back by Monday. In the meantime, a complaint was made to Home Depot Cares Department. Never really got an apology. She asked what we wanted (which was a refund) and that seems to be her only task with all of this. CFI had later called the same day to say they could now come tomorrow August 1st as they now apparently have padding! Still seem to blame Home Depot.

Moral of the story...don’t use Home Depot for carpet. After dumping thousands of dollars on stuff there recently, we’ll stop supporting them. Family was looking for carpet and after our experiences they were afraid to use Home Depot and went to Lowe’s and were completely satisfied. The word is out there and this is the least we can do to spare any consumers from using them. Still haven’t received our money back and we’ll pursue other avenues to get it back. We’re not asking for handouts or anything free. But, just getting our money back isn’t satisfying either. We’ve been waiting to book that second job/quote until after they made it right on the stairs. At this point, we’ve been done wrong for too long.

Original review: July 23, 2020

I had several rooms in my house carpet installed by Home Depot. Upstairs was fine. Downstairs carpet was pieced in many sections and showed terrible. Installers agreed and called co. I was to call company. Couldn't talk to anyone. So called Home Depot, got answering machine. Called 3 days. They would transfer me to answering machine. Never a call back. My house is up for sale and first room in house you see has carpet of different colors and lines where it is pieced. I thought they would call back and come see this mess.

Original review: June 19, 2020

My main reason to write this review is because I feel cheated and angry at the way HD has treated me as a customer. Provided wrong information on the type of flooring- engineered bamboo instead of solid bamboo. Sent the wrong color -stair nose (reorder took 3 months and they charged me for their mistake). The project was stalled and delayed for 3 months. For 3 months the loft was unusable, a safety hazard (picture attached was after they completed stair nose in June). Repeated follow up for 3 months to complete project and for a refund of money owed for material returned $1600/- and still no resolution and my credit card has been charged. Rude and indifferent store manager and customer service. Almost feels like they are discriminatory. As a customer I simply want them to responsibility, apologize for the inconvenience caused and fix the issue. Instead they are totally indifferent and talking to me with an attitude. I’m appalled!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

I purchased carpet from Home Depot and had them install. They sent out a person to measure, and not did he do some measuring. He knowingly over measured, so much that I have enough carpet left to carpet a whole room and still have some left over. I understand a little, but the amount left over wAs ridiculous. Home Depot allowed it. They are fine with selling customers what they do not need. There is no reason I should have all that carpet left over. Just a waste of money.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

My only comment is to make sure that you are very sure you will use the Depot to install your floors before you sign up and pay for measuring. Once a measurement is taken and you pay the $49 fee, they will not give out the floor measurements to you. They do not apprise you of that fact before you pay although they do tell you the amount will be taken off the flooring project if done with Home Depot. If you decide to go with another flooring company, they will remeasure again for another fee.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2020

Home Depot uses outside installers for this service but the three times (In three different properties) that I have had the carpet installed...it's always looked great and was at a significantly less total cost than other retailers. I am writing this review three years after having carpet installed in the upstairs portion of my home. The carpet looks good and shows no sign of wear. It looks as good as the day I purchased it. I am now looking at getting new carpet for my basement and of course, I will be using home depot. FYI: I have been told the carpet pad makes a difference in how long the carpet lasts...so I have always got the thickest pad available at home depot.

Home Depot Floors Company Information