1.57/5
Based on 76 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a washer and dryer?

1043 GE Washing Machines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

Purchase this washer less than 20 months ago and it is already broke. Didn't buy the extended warranty. Figured that was a three and a five. There's only two of us in this house so that washer is not used that frequent. It is junk. A lot of complaints about it. You will never want to purchase a GE product. They offered to send a technician out for a charge. No thanks. We have another set of washer and dryer. Whirlpool. It's not a digital one like just junk. You can go to the settings that you need to set on. We have a cleaning service and we do two to three loads a day with those washer and dryers from Whirlpool.

Had it for at least 12 years. Never had a problem with it. So you need to read all ratings and complaints about GE products. As far as I'm concerned they do not stand behind their products. Remember. This is me and my wife's clothing only being done. No work Rags whatsoever. That is why if you look it only it has one and a half star ratings and a lot of complaints. Thank you for reading my rating.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Our GE washer, model #GTW460ASJ6WW, needed repair. They first tried to walk me through re-setting the washer, but that didn't work and it needed to have a technician sent out to repair it. It was one month out of warranty, however, the very nice gentleman on the phone stated that since it was just one month out of warranty, they would send someone out 'no charge'. Some other companies wouldn't have done this one month out of warranty, so I think GE deserves a shout out.

Get expert buying tips about Washers and Dryers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 31, 2018

From day one of trying to use my NEW washer, it has constantly bounced all over the place when attempting to spin at any time during the wash. Have tried to have it replaced due to it never working unless the load is so small that I could have hand washed them better or if there were no clothes in it at all. I have been told by customer relations that the machine has to be repaired four times before they can deem it irreparable and then and only then will they replace my new non-working machine. The repairman and technician from GE blamed the problem on how I loaded the clothes to an uneven floor. This is not the case as my second opinion repairman confirmed that these are of the issue.

I am regretting buying anything from GE. They will not work with you to quickly make sure you have a functioning appliance. The last two loads of clothes I attempted in this machine had to be wrung out by hand as the spin would not work correctly. If I had not been sitting babysitting the machine, it would have broke through the housing and damaged itself along with my home. Very disappointed that they will not work reasonably with you to replace the obviously defective machine.

Original review: July 28, 2018

I purchased an expensive Electronic sensing washer and dryer set by General Electric. This was the first and last set I will ever purchase from this company. The washer Tub Gear Set went out the same time the shocks failed - that was within 2 years of purchase. Cost more to repair than it was worth. As for the Dryer, it too failed with failing bearings and very poor build that made the gaskets fail. These things are built with the thinnest metal and are fabricated very poorly. Seriously, what pieces of crap. Buyer beware, I would highly suggest you look at another manufacturer's products as these will just make you very angry and wasting your money.

Original review: July 21, 2018

After replacing part after part, this washer keeps shutting itself off. Too many garbage sensors, and who knows what else electronic bullcrap in this unit. Top load 2.5 yr. old only! I hate this thing, and I just want a BASIC washer that will wash clothes. GE, and similar models put all this ** in their units to make you spend tons of cash to keep them going a year more IF LUCKY. Go to hell GE!!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Original review: July 20, 2018

It's been 50 Days and GE has NOT fixed my Washer!!! At first I was thinking all these reviews cannot be real!? But then I quickly realized its True!!! I will make this review very simple (I give GE Negative Stars). I reached-out to GE because my washer was malfunctioning/NOT working. It took 1 Week to send a technician to my house... when he "tries to fix the washer" he tells me we need to order parts. Ok sooo that's what we agreed to do (at this point everything was going fine)... another week passes-by. Another tech was sent to my house and to my horror he tells me GE sent the wrong part(s)!! I then call the "Consumer Relations Dept." that is a JOKE... I was on hold for a LONG LONG time 40-50 minutes... Yes!! Sooo unprofessional.

Its July 20th and the parts still remains on Back-order!? REALLY... The Call center keeps telling me the parts are not available, just keep waiting! I been WAITING FOR more than a MONTH!!! They sent me a check for 50 bucks? What the hell! That's NOT enough to cover my dry-cleaner/washing expenses. This is such an inconvenience to me and my family!

Today I called and some lady basically told me. The part is NOT ready because of a warehouse delay?? (They keep saying the SAME thing over and over) I am sooo disappointed because I bought 5 GE products about a year-ago. I regret purchasing GE products! This has been a nightmare!!! I'm still in shock about the simple fact that GE call Center shows NO empathy, just careless about the whole issue. I normally do not do reviews like this... but this calls for a FULL Review. I even offered to pay extra money to help expedite the process or pick-up parts - anything I could do to help the process move-along. I been patient all this time... but now I am just ready to replace my Washer with another brand. I won't be purchasing any GE products. NEVER AGAIN!!! P.S Washer still broken... Parts still on Back-order.

Original review: July 13, 2018

GE top loader No Agitator Model GTW680BSJWS: Bought this and matching dryer from PC Richards 3/12/2018. The dryer broke within a week. Repairman told me it was because there was too much lint in the trap. Two days later same thing. Waited over a week for the guy to come back. He had to order parts. Took 4 WEEKS to get a repairman to my house to fix it. Then, about 8 weeks later, the washer goes - bouncing all over and not spinning out clothes - 2 weeks later (earliest apt that they had) guy comes - "you have 5 Errors on your machine - all regarding balance." Tells me he did "Update" that should have been done at the factory and that now it was fine - ONE WEEK LATER - same thing - unbalanced and dancing all over the place. Spent hours on the phone with both P.C. Richards and G.E., and multiple trips to the store - both parties refuse to replace machine. Insist I have to wait until it is deemed by them to be "unrepairable."

They tell me someone would be at my house yesterday between 2 and 5 P.M. Stayed home all day waiting. At 3 P.M. I get a call saying the repairman went home sick and that I would have to wait another 4 days for a repairman. Between the washer and dryer, both G.E. models, I have spent hours at the laundromat wasting time and money when I have brand new machines sitting in my kitchen. When I asked to have money taken off what I owed on the machines I was told the only thing they could do was give me a $50.00 gift card for P.C. Richards. Like I would ever buy ANYTHING from them again.

I have spent at least $80.00 at laundromat with new machines that don't work - I don't need anything from P.C Richards except the machines I already bought. GE and P.C. Richards have lost a 30-year customer - BUYER BEWARE!!! Don't buy ANYTHING GE!!! BTW, the girl at P.C. Richards told me the other day that I never should have gotten a GE washer because they always break - she has customers complaining all the time - then... why do they carry it and sell it to unsuspecting customers???

Original review: July 9, 2018

Save yourself money, aggravation, and buyer's remorse. Impossible to launder two bed sheets and other small articles at the same time. The sheets smother items and put the basket out of balance. The machine (GE Washer G010) "walks," actually walks and rumbles away from the wall. Noisy, sounds like rocks grinding! G101 lid locks! Who the H. decided to lock the lid? No going back to toss in one more item. GE could put a lock on their refrigerators, but on a washing machine? The product is insane! And, I'm stuck with a monster!

Original review: July 8, 2018

We purchased A GE washer (Model # GHWN4250DWW) three years ago and it has begun leaking from the bottom. I checked the drain hose and that is not the problem. I would expect a clothes washer to last much longer than three years especially since we are a two person household. Sadly disappointed with GE.

Original review: July 3, 2018

We purchased a new washer a year ago in August. It has been steadily dripping water inside since month three. We called the warranty number and the repair person began the process of ordering the part. We got a call last week that the part won't be in until after August. That is, if I haven't decided to do something else (her words), like maybe just buy a new washer for instance? Not even one year, but the warranty is almost out.

GE dishwasher was our builder's install. Leaking water through the air dryer onto my hardwood floors. Failed repair twice by GE and they told us the first one didn't count and they needed a third visit to do the same thing instead of replacing it. I had it hauled out of here like the trash that it is and replaced with a unit that is made in America. Having these two experiences so closely together tells me that they know they build an inadequate product and they refuse to repair or order parts so they can do their business in bulk rather than loyalty. I am stuck with other GE appliances because of my builder, but I will never buy from them again.

Original review: July 2, 2018

Purchased a GE Washer and dryer for our lake house. They were delivered 4/27/18. The washer stopped working 5/25/18. GE sent a repair person out on 5/31/18. He diagnosed it as faulty water valve intake. Had to order the part. Another repair person came 6/16/18 to repair the washer only to discover the first repair person misdiagnosed the problem. This guy said it's the main board and will have to order the part. I just found out last week the part is on back order and will not be available until 8/6/18. GE Customer Services has been no help. All they have offered is sympathy. Sympathy does not wash my clothes. I have asked for a new washer but they have not responded to my request. Consumers are at the mercy of GE. I will NEVER buy another GE product, EVER!

Original review: June 22, 2018

I purchased washer (GE 5.3 Washing machine model GTW680BMMDG) at the end of May 2016 from 'Bad Boy' store in Burlington ON Canada. I noticed that the machine in the last few minutes of the spin cycle is very noisy and the drum was shaking. I had a service man (under the manufacturer's warranty) come to the house and he made some adjustment and stated that the shaking and the noise level is "normal". I complained again to GE and they sent another repairman who made some more 'adjustments'.

However, it is still very noisy towards the end of the spin cycle. Our previous washer (Kenmore) lasted 16 years and it was never as noisy. Furthermore, none of my friends that have washing machines state that the noise and the shaking of the drum is unusual. I have an extended warranty that lasts to July 2023, although I doubt that the machine lasts that long, and I am very reluctant to buy another GE product. Furthermore, the salesperson at the store did not point out the unusual noise.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I bought this machine 3 years ago. Heavier load ever done was 2 bath towels, 2 hand towels and 2 terry cloth bath mats using the extra large setting. Average of 4 loads per week. Bearings were destroyed after 3 years of use. Part was replaced ($300 btw labor and part). 3 months later it is broken again. Called new repairman thinking the first one was not competent. New repairman said "I would never touch this piece of junk. They are worthless and I won't tarnish my reputation trying to fix it." If you want to waste your money, go ahead and buy it.

Original review: June 6, 2018

One morning trying to get washed I realized I had no hot water. I went to my basement to see if there was something wrong with my hot water heater. To my surprise my washing machine was on with hot water running into it. No matter what I did I could not turn off the washer, so I shut off the water. The next day my son came to look at it and thank GOD he did. We went to the basement and the machine was on with no water and with the smell of the motor burning. This could have been a tragedy if we did not see this when we did. Also as I notice in other reviews I have had the same, not enough water, wash ends too fast, etc. I am going to send a letter to GE also.

Original review: June 6, 2018

GE is great if your appliances do not need repairs. But our 4 year old washing machine stopped working mid-cycle. After two hours on hold with the GE repair service, my husband tried to get help online. Repairman came out to "fix" machine and only rebooted the electrical board, charging us $270. He did not check to see if the machine would work. We have tried for over a week to get someone out to fix it. They were scheduled for today, and now have told us they cannot come and will come next week. That would be almost 3 weeks with not working washing machine, for a family of 5. Do yourself a favor and do not by from GE. The headaches and dirty laundry are not worth it!

Original review: June 5, 2018

The GE Hydrowave washer is horrendous!!! 1) Auto-load sensing is way off, NEVER enough water no matter what size load you're washing. 2) Half the time I use it, I have to use the "rinse & spin" or "drain & spin" option, sometimes more than once because it doesn't drain! Note: why would they have those options anyway? My guess is they knew about that problem. 3) Clothes gets all tangled and twisted and sometimes stuck in the bottom of the agitator. 4) DO NOT BUY. Or you will be sorry. It's total crap.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I purchased a new GE washer model #GTWN4250D2WS on 9/25/2015. And since day 1 - I have been unsatisfied with this machine! This machine will only give me 10.5" of water on a full load. How do I get clothes clean with only that much water? I can't do a full load because the top clothes come out dry and unwashed. I have to do a bunch of small loads of laundry, to get my laundry done. So what's the use of having the nice large washer that I purchased? I have had the top control panel replaced 2x and my service man tells me that it's normal for this machine only to have this amount of water! What good is it??? I will never buy another GE product again!!!

Original review: May 31, 2018

I bought matching GE appliances. Washer & Dryer from a big box store. Free delivery. Deliveryman noticed some damage on one of the pieces. They were very professional and quick. So far so good. I've had the two for only a couple of months and they are both pretty quiet machines.

Original review: May 30, 2018

Purchased washer and dryer in 2003 and never had a problem with either of them. Washer does great job and dryer only takes 30 min for a full load. When the time comes I would only purchase GE.

Original review: May 17, 2018

This style machine does not have the agitator “tower” in the middle of the tub and this causes the wash to become twisted around each other and tangled. It requires a lot of work to sort them out to put them in the dryer and if you wash large items, towels, sheets, quilts, etc. you can always expect that these items will caused the tub to become unbalanced and the washer will shake all over the laundry room and sound like someone beating on a metal drum with a hammer! The clothes come out “adequately” clean, but the trouble you go through is not worth it! I would NOT recommend this product to anyone!

Original review: May 13, 2018

Bought a new GE stacked washer dryer for our lake house last fall. From the start so little water many items do not get wet. Have to add water and push the clothes down. Not sure how well they wash as I have watched them just go back and forth and stay in the same place. It take 2 loads as you cannot put in many items if you want them washed even poorly. The old machines had good washing action. When on spin it makes a very loud ticking noise, have to leave the room and close the door. A call to GE said this was normal--really! There was no mention of it being a GE machine on any literature or the machine itself. If so we would have not purchased it after all the reviews. Not sure why they would design an item that will not do its intended job. Just junk!

Original review: April 29, 2018

I purchased a GE washer last year. The next day they had to bring a new one out. Sensors were bad. Had the second one less than 7 months and had to call a repairman out. He had to update the sensors. It acted up again in less than 2 months. When he came out it was checking out as ok. It seems this model has intermittent sensor issues. I will never buy another GE washer!

Original review: April 14, 2018

Bought this GE washer from Home Depot (big mistake... They don't take returns on appliances) two months ago. Problems from the get-go with unbalanced loads, machine moving across the floor and then not filling with water. The control panel has been changed out once, but problems persist. This is the worst piece of junk I have ever owned and I am surprised that the company is still in business, and that Home Depot and Lowe's are still selling it. We are pursuing a refund through our credit card company.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I purchase this new washer GTW460ASJ8WW based on a GE Video and the sales persons claims that it could fill to the top of the holes in the tub. If the water level was lower than desired, "just press the deep fill button" for more water. It will fill up to the top of the holes in tub. It barely fills halfway in the tub! I put a normal large load of towels and half of the load doesn't even get wet! The towels are getting worn due to the friction & lack of water. They don't smell clean and feel dirty and rough on the skin like a towel that was never washed and used over and over again. I was told that is the way the NEW washer work.

I've asked other people that have other brands & they said the water does cover their towels. GE said they will charge me $100 to send a technician out if they find it is the way that the washer is suppose to function. Bottom line IT DOESN'T CLEAN MY TOWELS AND SHEETS! THAT IS WHAT A WASHER IS SUPPOSED TO DO. So if they tell me that is the way it is suppose to work they cover themselves and charge me $100 for a washer that doesn't clean. They are sending a technician out. I will keep you posted.

Updated on 04/25/2018: GE washer GTW460ASJ8WW - Following up from April 9th review. GE sent a tech guy who said the machine works as designed. DETAILS: The tech saw how little water entered the machine with a load of towels. He commented that it looked low with the water even after he hit DEEP FILL. After hooking up to his computer and calling someone at GE he said the machine worked as designed! I thought the design of a washer was to wash clothes to be CLEAN and not RIP UP my towels or wear out clothes! I told GE that I was not happy with this machine and they said I could get another model for about $427.00! They would not credit me for the washer I purchased. I will never do business with GE.

I wish I knew they sold this company to China and is the same brand now as Haier (Junk). I have asked others about their new washers and I was told Whirlpool was good. As far as the GE brand, all JUNK. My brother-in-law purchased a GE refrigerator for $2,000+ and it broke down in 3 years. The cost to fix was not worth it. He bought a Whirlpool. He has Whirlpool and Maytag and said he is happy with his washer and refrigerator now. DON'T BUY GE ON ANYTHING. UNETHICAL COMPANY THAT DOESN'T STAND BY THEIR PRODUCTS.

Original review: April 5, 2018

Very dissatisfied. Not able to jump in or skip ahead two specific settings of washing machine. Very frustrating to troubleshoot, diagnose or get repaired. Would not recommend to anyone who would like to have their washing machine work for more than a year.

Original review: March 30, 2018

We had a GE washing machine for 20 years, I remember it broke down 5 years ago, I made a phone call, the controller broke down, I am surprised they still have parts, which stopped me from purchasing a fancy looking washing machine...

Original review: March 23, 2018

This Hydrowave washing machine has a very nice deep stainless steel tub, the problem is that if the water level barely covers the clothes, the agitator just goes swish, swish, meaning it doesn't actually clean anything. I've tried Tide, with and without Bleach. DON'T BUY THIS, IT'S THE WORST MACHINE I'VE EVER SEEN!! Really shocking that they made this thing. Now I have to get rid of the lousy thing, and purchase a new machine. I'm just glad I found out before I bought all my new appliances for the kitchen, and for my son's new house also. GE is a waste of $$. Wow.

Original review: March 22, 2018

Had a new GE GTW810SSJWS28 washer delivered 8/8/17 and we have not had a clean wash since day one. ALL loads come out with major swaths of lint attached to the clothing and most of our laundry comes out looking dirtier than when it went in because of these clumps. Just so any of you are thinking, as some of the other customers who have posted seem to think, that GE Appliances is an American company, perish the thought. It has been sold to China like so many others.

My wife and I bought the machine thinking we were dealing with the old, American, GE. We were told "Oh no you can't use softener anymore. You will have to run the extra rinse cycle. You will have to use high spin cycle. You will have to run the deep rinse cycle. We followed all suggestions and after two separate repair technicians came to the house we were told that there was nothing wrong with the machine, that it must be us and we would be charged for any other repair visits because there was nothing wrong with the machine. Our problem was that since we live in New Mexico and hang our laundry out to dry for free we were at fault. All we have to do is use a dryer with a lint filter. We have calculated that with all the extra cycles and using the dryer we will have been paying 5 times more to use this new "Energy Star" washer than we had been with our old washer.

Original review: March 20, 2018

I purchased a Washer and Dryer from Lowe's about two years ago. I didn't purchased an extended warranty because I'm from the "old school" and believe that an American made product should last at least 10 years. But, no, it started failing soon after it was delivered. It left the clothes wet, and would bounce around. No matter how many times that I would balance it and adjust the feet on the washer it would continue to bounce. Now, the spin balance no longer works. I called and was told that GE didn't service my area and that I would have to find local repairs on my own from my Yellow Pages. Please, if you are reading these reviews, they are true and from really frustrated homeowners that only want to use their appliances. Only by NOT buying GE products will we get this massive company up and off the couch once again and start making quality products again. Shame on GE and shame on American made products, shame, shame, shame!

Original review: March 16, 2018

I initially scheduled my repair for my washer which is almost a year old now online. I scheduled it for a Saturday because that is the only day that I will be home. I received a call on Thursday, through a third party (my boyfriend). He stated that the technician wanted to know if he could stop by which no one was present at that time. That was out. Then the dispatcher stated that he would come on Saturday. I told the dispatcher that I had an appointment at noon and would need to leave the house by then.

On Saturday, I called the Service Tech. at 11:45 a.m. He stated that he was in Naples at the time which is a good 40 minutes away from me and that he only works half-days on Saturday. Therefore, he is telling me that he will not be available to make it so we reschedule for next Saturday. Today I received a voicemail from GE stating that they are rescheduling my appointment to next Tuesday between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. First and foremost, do not reschedule any appointment without confirming with me that I am available which I am not and have clearly stated this to them. I am a single mother and work Monday through Friday. I am only off on Saturdays. I have told them this over and over, what are they not getting.

I called Customer Service and was told to call Customer Relations. I am sure John Flannery does not know that his Service Dept. really sucks. I will make sure that he knows by filing a complaint and getting a hold of all of the 1,000's of customers to see if they would be amenable to filing a Class Action Suit against GE's Service Dept. and how they handle their scheduling. If anyone is interested, contact me.

Not sure about GE Washing Machines?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Washers and Dryers for you.

GE Washing Machines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The same dedication to quality that GE puts into building products like jet engine turbines and wind towers goes into their washing machines. GE is an American symbol of industry that was ranked the 14th most profitable large firm in the United States and has even had employees that have won Nobel Prizes.

• Washer's with many features in one place: GE washers often offer Energy Star certification, stain removal settings, vibration control and an automatic precision dispensing system, all in one machine.

• Special offers: GE routinely features great deals on washers in its Special Offers section on their website, helping buyers connect with rebates, tax credits and special holiday sales.

• Washers that look great: Besides offering washers that fulfill nearly every customer's desire, GE washers also come in many colors and finishes, all the way from platinum to ruby red.

• Best for: People who want a washer that offers beautiful design, people who are energy conscious, families and professionals.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

Ticker Symbol:
    GE
    www.ge.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business