1.47/5
Based on 80 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a washer and dryer?

1031 GE Washing Machines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 13, 2018

I bought this machine 3 years ago. Heavier load ever done was 2 bath towels, 2 hand towels and 2 terry cloth bath mats using the extra large setting. Average of 4 loads per week. Bearings were destroyed after 3 years of use. Part was replaced ($300 btw labor and part). 3 months later it is broken again. Called new repairman thinking the first one was not competent. New repairman said "I would never touch this piece of junk. They are worthless and I won't tarnish my reputation trying to fix it." If you want to waste your money, go ahead and buy it.

Original review: June 6, 2018

One morning trying to get washed I realized I had no hot water. I went to my basement to see if there was something wrong with my hot water heater. To my surprise my washing machine was on with hot water running into it. No matter what I did I could not turn off the washer, so I shut off the water. The next day my son came to look at it and thank GOD he did. We went to the basement and the machine was on with no water and with the smell of the motor burning. This could have been a tragedy if we did not see this when we did. Also as I notice in other reviews I have had the same, not enough water, wash ends too fast, etc. I am going to send a letter to GE also.

Get expert buying tips about Washers and Dryers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 6, 2018

GE is great if your appliances do not need repairs. But our 4 year old washing machine stopped working mid-cycle. After two hours on hold with the GE repair service, my husband tried to get help online. Repairman came out to "fix" machine and only rebooted the electrical board, charging us $270. He did not check to see if the machine would work. We have tried for over a week to get someone out to fix it. They were scheduled for today, and now have told us they cannot come and will come next week. That would be almost 3 weeks with not working washing machine, for a family of 5. Do yourself a favor and do not by from GE. The headaches and dirty laundry are not worth it!

Original review: June 5, 2018

The GE Hydrowave washer is horrendous!!! 1) Auto-load sensing is way off, NEVER enough water no matter what size load you're washing. 2) Half the time I use it, I have to use the "rinse & spin" or "drain & spin" option, sometimes more than once because it doesn't drain! Note: why would they have those options anyway? My guess is they knew about that problem. 3) Clothes gets all tangled and twisted and sometimes stuck in the bottom of the agitator. 4) DO NOT BUY. Or you will be sorry. It's total crap.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I purchased a new GE washer model #GTWN4250D2WS on 9/25/2015. And since day 1 - I have been unsatisfied with this machine! This machine will only give me 10.5" of water on a full load. How do I get clothes clean with only that much water? I can't do a full load because the top clothes come out dry and unwashed. I have to do a bunch of small loads of laundry, to get my laundry done. So what's the use of having the nice large washer that I purchased? I have had the top control panel replaced 2x and my service man tells me that it's normal for this machine only to have this amount of water! What good is it??? I will never buy another GE product again!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Original review: May 31, 2018

I bought matching GE appliances. Washer & Dryer from a big box store. Free delivery. Deliveryman noticed some damage on one of the pieces. They were very professional and quick. So far so good. I've had the two for only a couple of months and they are both pretty quiet machines.

Original review: May 30, 2018

Purchased washer and dryer in 2003 and never had a problem with either of them. Washer does great job and dryer only takes 30 min for a full load. When the time comes I would only purchase GE.

Original review: May 17, 2018

This style machine does not have the agitator “tower” in the middle of the tub and this causes the wash to become twisted around each other and tangled. It requires a lot of work to sort them out to put them in the dryer and if you wash large items, towels, sheets, quilts, etc. you can always expect that these items will caused the tub to become unbalanced and the washer will shake all over the laundry room and sound like someone beating on a metal drum with a hammer! The clothes come out “adequately” clean, but the trouble you go through is not worth it! I would NOT recommend this product to anyone!

Original review: May 13, 2018

Bought a new GE stacked washer dryer for our lake house last fall. From the start so little water many items do not get wet. Have to add water and push the clothes down. Not sure how well they wash as I have watched them just go back and forth and stay in the same place. It take 2 loads as you cannot put in many items if you want them washed even poorly. The old machines had good washing action. When on spin it makes a very loud ticking noise, have to leave the room and close the door. A call to GE said this was normal--really! There was no mention of it being a GE machine on any literature or the machine itself. If so we would have not purchased it after all the reviews. Not sure why they would design an item that will not do its intended job. Just junk!

Original review: April 29, 2018

I purchased a GE washer last year. The next day they had to bring a new one out. Sensors were bad. Had the second one less than 7 months and had to call a repairman out. He had to update the sensors. It acted up again in less than 2 months. When he came out it was checking out as ok. It seems this model has intermittent sensor issues. I will never buy another GE washer!

Original review: April 14, 2018

Bought this GE washer from Home Depot (big mistake... They don't take returns on appliances) two months ago. Problems from the get-go with unbalanced loads, machine moving across the floor and then not filling with water. The control panel has been changed out once, but problems persist. This is the worst piece of junk I have ever owned and I am surprised that the company is still in business, and that Home Depot and Lowe's are still selling it. We are pursuing a refund through our credit card company.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I purchase this new washer GTW460ASJ8WW based on a GE Video and the sales persons claims that it could fill to the top of the holes in the tub. If the water level was lower than desired, "just press the deep fill button" for more water. It will fill up to the top of the holes in tub. It barely fills halfway in the tub! I put a normal large load of towels and half of the load doesn't even get wet! The towels are getting worn due to the friction & lack of water. They don't smell clean and feel dirty and rough on the skin like a towel that was never washed and used over and over again. I was told that is the way the NEW washer work.

I've asked other people that have other brands & they said the water does cover their towels. GE said they will charge me $100 to send a technician out if they find it is the way that the washer is suppose to function. Bottom line IT DOESN'T CLEAN MY TOWELS AND SHEETS! THAT IS WHAT A WASHER IS SUPPOSED TO DO. So if they tell me that is the way it is suppose to work they cover themselves and charge me $100 for a washer that doesn't clean. They are sending a technician out. I will keep you posted.

Updated on 04/25/2018: GE washer GTW460ASJ8WW - Following up from April 9th review. GE sent a tech guy who said the machine works as designed. DETAILS: The tech saw how little water entered the machine with a load of towels. He commented that it looked low with the water even after he hit DEEP FILL. After hooking up to his computer and calling someone at GE he said the machine worked as designed! I thought the design of a washer was to wash clothes to be CLEAN and not RIP UP my towels or wear out clothes! I told GE that I was not happy with this machine and they said I could get another model for about $427.00! They would not credit me for the washer I purchased. I will never do business with GE.

I wish I knew they sold this company to China and is the same brand now as Haier (Junk). I have asked others about their new washers and I was told Whirlpool was good. As far as the GE brand, all JUNK. My brother-in-law purchased a GE refrigerator for $2,000+ and it broke down in 3 years. The cost to fix was not worth it. He bought a Whirlpool. He has Whirlpool and Maytag and said he is happy with his washer and refrigerator now. DON'T BUY GE ON ANYTHING. UNETHICAL COMPANY THAT DOESN'T STAND BY THEIR PRODUCTS.

Original review: April 5, 2018

Very dissatisfied. Not able to jump in or skip ahead two specific settings of washing machine. Very frustrating to troubleshoot, diagnose or get repaired. Would not recommend to anyone who would like to have their washing machine work for more than a year.

Original review: March 30, 2018

We had a GE washing machine for 20 years, I remember it broke down 5 years ago, I made a phone call, the controller broke down, I am surprised they still have parts, which stopped me from purchasing a fancy looking washing machine...

Original review: March 23, 2018

This Hydrowave washing machine has a very nice deep stainless steel tub, the problem is that if the water level barely covers the clothes, the agitator just goes swish, swish, meaning it doesn't actually clean anything. I've tried Tide, with and without Bleach. DON'T BUY THIS, IT'S THE WORST MACHINE I'VE EVER SEEN!! Really shocking that they made this thing. Now I have to get rid of the lousy thing, and purchase a new machine. I'm just glad I found out before I bought all my new appliances for the kitchen, and for my son's new house also. GE is a waste of $$. Wow.

Original review: March 22, 2018

Had a new GE GTW810SSJWS28 washer delivered 8/8/17 and we have not had a clean wash since day one. ALL loads come out with major swaths of lint attached to the clothing and most of our laundry comes out looking dirtier than when it went in because of these clumps. Just so any of you are thinking, as some of the other customers who have posted seem to think, that GE Appliances is an American company, perish the thought. It has been sold to China like so many others.

My wife and I bought the machine thinking we were dealing with the old, American, GE. We were told "Oh no you can't use softener anymore. You will have to run the extra rinse cycle. You will have to use high spin cycle. You will have to run the deep rinse cycle. We followed all suggestions and after two separate repair technicians came to the house we were told that there was nothing wrong with the machine, that it must be us and we would be charged for any other repair visits because there was nothing wrong with the machine. Our problem was that since we live in New Mexico and hang our laundry out to dry for free we were at fault. All we have to do is use a dryer with a lint filter. We have calculated that with all the extra cycles and using the dryer we will have been paying 5 times more to use this new "Energy Star" washer than we had been with our old washer.

Original review: March 20, 2018

I purchased a Washer and Dryer from Lowe's about two years ago. I didn't purchased an extended warranty because I'm from the "old school" and believe that an American made product should last at least 10 years. But, no, it started failing soon after it was delivered. It left the clothes wet, and would bounce around. No matter how many times that I would balance it and adjust the feet on the washer it would continue to bounce. Now, the spin balance no longer works. I called and was told that GE didn't service my area and that I would have to find local repairs on my own from my Yellow Pages. Please, if you are reading these reviews, they are true and from really frustrated homeowners that only want to use their appliances. Only by NOT buying GE products will we get this massive company up and off the couch once again and start making quality products again. Shame on GE and shame on American made products, shame, shame, shame!

Original review: March 16, 2018

I initially scheduled my repair for my washer which is almost a year old now online. I scheduled it for a Saturday because that is the only day that I will be home. I received a call on Thursday, through a third party (my boyfriend). He stated that the technician wanted to know if he could stop by which no one was present at that time. That was out. Then the dispatcher stated that he would come on Saturday. I told the dispatcher that I had an appointment at noon and would need to leave the house by then.

On Saturday, I called the Service Tech. at 11:45 a.m. He stated that he was in Naples at the time which is a good 40 minutes away from me and that he only works half-days on Saturday. Therefore, he is telling me that he will not be available to make it so we reschedule for next Saturday. Today I received a voicemail from GE stating that they are rescheduling my appointment to next Tuesday between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. First and foremost, do not reschedule any appointment without confirming with me that I am available which I am not and have clearly stated this to them. I am a single mother and work Monday through Friday. I am only off on Saturdays. I have told them this over and over, what are they not getting.

I called Customer Service and was told to call Customer Relations. I am sure John Flannery does not know that his Service Dept. really sucks. I will make sure that he knows by filing a complaint and getting a hold of all of the 1,000's of customers to see if they would be amenable to filing a Class Action Suit against GE's Service Dept. and how they handle their scheduling. If anyone is interested, contact me.

Original review: March 11, 2018

We bought this washing machine (GE Allura) and we did not use it for nine months. My husband kept telling me to scrap the old machine and fit this new one. Eventually, we did. All worked well for about a year, then it began making terrible banging noises just as it would go to spin, so I would have to go and open it and position the clothes around the drum to get it to balance. Most of the time, I would end up removing clothes till almost nothing is in the machine, and then it MIGHT spin properly. It also fails to properly wash the clothes. It leaves stains on the clothes of dirt and detergent that has not been removed. In all the junk machines, I have ever used throughout my life this one is the worst offender. I know there is no warranty on it now, even though it has little use.

I always assumed the reason you bought a washing machine was to stop washing clothes by hand. This one is a good lemon in the corner. My husband is a mechanic, and I will get him to take a look and see if there is something he can do to make it work. Before we spend $400 on repairs, we might like to review other new machines and consider throwing this one out the door if my husband cannot fix it. It is no wonder GE's share pricing is falling in the stock markets for the shoddy products they are selling people. Not sure why the Consumer Watchdog, or the Ombudsman is not challenging this company for selling (Disposing) of dodgy goods to customers.

Original review: March 8, 2018

Bought a new GE Dryer in August and it has 3 heat settings. Only one temperature on all 3 settings. Takes over 160 minutes to dry a load of towels on cotton setting. Four times GE has come out to look at the dryer and they keep saying it's energy efficient. If it's energy efficient it wouldn't take over 2 hours to dry a load of towels. Using more gas and electric to run this dryer. No one is listening to me that for a 3 cycle dryer, there is no difference in temperature if it's on the delicate cycle versus the cotton cycle. SAME TEMPERATURE.

Original review: March 6, 2018

2 and a half years ago I purchased a GE washer and dryer from the local Home Depot. Day 1 we had issues with the control panel on the washer. Service tech showed up about a week later, stated he wasn't familiar with the model we had. We were told that we need a new panel board which would take about a week to get. That was 2 and a half years ago and we have never seen or heard anything from GE. Both the washer and dryer suck. I would never purchase another GE appliance nor will I recommend the brand to anyone.

Original review: March 5, 2018

This machine apparently has a mind of its own beyond the control of the user. User normally has to stop the machine for added clothes or bleach and I know full well the rules about holding the three second button to stop then re-pressing it to start again. Yet, sometimes it just wants to drain all the hot or cold water out when restarting although that is not desired. Such a waste and not environmentally friendly. I just want to fault the person(s) that developed the logic system for these machines.

I have my own degree in industrial controls technology and myself an expert after working 30 years in the field from servohydraulics to pneumatic logic design and troubleshooting as a leader and hands on worker. A user should be able to stop and start the machine at will, yet this is not possible. Please --- your logic designer is a failure. I would fire or retrain them. The shame is on the engineer that signed off on this unpredictable monster. I give the designer and engineer failing grades. GE should be ashamed to put this product out there in the public sphere. I've had this machine long enough to hate it and know it can't be returned but if GE can send me a schematic of the logic or updated logic board I will personally redesign it the way it should have been done in the first place. Shameful.

Original review: March 4, 2018

I am a retired senior citizen 70 years young living in an apartment. I rented this apartment because it had all appliances provided. I have owned a home and bought many appliances in my lifetime. The GE washer in the apartment model GCWN4950D1WS, serial number ZA195124G is a worthless piece of junk!!! It is "supposed to sense" the water level needed to clean your clothes. I find that if you leave it to the machine the clothes do not get cleaned. My only solution has been to add water to the washer from the sink in the kitchen. This is a very tedious, tiring, exasperating, infuriating chore for someone who is supposedly RETIRED. I am handicapped and it is very difficult to do normal everyday things. The Golden Years are not so Golden because of a company like "GE" that puts inferior products in Senior Citizen Apartments. Shame on you GE!!!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

I purchased a GE washer model GTW460ASJ5WW in September 2016. The main board has gone out according to the repairman. I did not get the extended warranty so I had to pay $65 for him to check it. It will cost $200 for new board plus installation cost. This is ridiculous, a washer should last longer than 2 years. I will never purchase a GE appliance again.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I had to call three different times to get an appointment scheduled for when I could actually make it -- one person gave me a day that didn't work and told me to call again; the second said she scheduled an appointment but didn't; the third actually scheduled it. On the day of the appointment, I got a voicemail saying the technician was finishing up a job and would be at my place shortly. I called 2 hours later to learn that the technician didn't come because I hadn't answered the phone. (The message did not say I needed to call back to confirm.) I then spent an hour on the phone with Carly, a very nice and competent person in consumer affairs, who tried in vain to get me an appointment that same day (the technician said he couldn't fit me in, even though he was supposed to see me that day). Carly kindly offered to reimburse me for the costs of washing my clothes.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I replaced the motherboard after the machine was only 2 years old. I had to pay for the part and pay to have it installed. It failed again within one year. I replaced the machine with a LG. NO MORE GE. THEIR APPLIANCES ARE SUBSTANDARD. I HOPE THEIR HOSPITAL EQUIPMENT IS BETTER FOR OUR AMERICAN PATIENTS!!!!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I bought this dryer and it was leaking gas, and shutting off in mid cycle less than 2 weeks after I bought it. I spoke with GE and they suck!!! I told them the gas company red flagged the dryer for leaking gas. They set me up an appointment with a technician a week later. On the morning of my appointment the tech called me and said that I needed a specific part and it wasn't available for 3 weeks. I asked how could he know this without looking at my dryer and he said he just knew. I told him I still wanted him to come out and look at it and he said, "Ok," but never showed.

When I called GE and asked them about why he didn't show they started making excuses and saying he needed a certain meter and now he was rescheduled and couldn't get back out to me. I also asked them if he knew what part I needed without coming out why didn't they tell me this a week ago and order the part instead of scheduling an appointment a week later and then telling me this. Pretty much wasting another week and making me lose a day of work. I finally spoke to another person at GE and she told me to exchange the appliance where I bought it. I spoke with Home Depot and they said it wasn't their policy (which I knew) and GE knew. I explained that GE had told me to call you knowing that Depot wouldn't exchange it. I am now waiting to see if Home Depot is able to get a tech out to look at my GE dryer.

The incompetence GE showed me I would never recommend another product from them EVER. I'm not saying their products are inferior, but, GE's customer service is atrocious. I felt I was patient in waiting a week for a tech. But to get a call and tell me he won't be coming and he knows what's wrong with my dryer over the phone is ridiculous. The fact that I wasted a whole day sitting at home and took a day off work infuriated me even more. Then speaking with customer service after being on hold for over 15 minutes and them telling me that the tech is correct when the knew for a week what was wrong made things even worse. So buyer beware when you get a GE product. Remember you don't just buy the product you buy the service and in my opinion GE's customer service is horrible.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

My husband purchased a G.E. washer and dryer for my 50th birthday and the washer is a lemon and dryer knobs are cheap. 4 repairs later and refusal to replace by Lowe's and G.E. on products still under warranty, I have decided they deserve 0 stars and will never buy their products again! Warranty is a joke also!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

My wife bought this GE GTW330bmkww Washing Machine in April, 2017 and have had serious shaking/agitation noise and movement. It also drains and spins sporadically. We have had two service calls and the technician indicated that we need to load it full and run on a delicate cycle to try to minimize the way it operates. I would not recommend this product to anyone and will likely end up junking this one and getting something that works.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

We purchased a top load model (#GTW460ASJ8WW) from Lowe's on December 31, 2017 and installed it the next day. It took a little getting used to, but we wanted a washer that we could manually set water levels. We have our own well, so water saving is not an issue. We managed to do four (4) loads of laundry before the machine stopped working. The fifth time we tried to use the machine it would simply pour water into the tub and drain it out. The tub cannot fill with water. We did all the troubleshooting and re-booting. Nothing worked. Worse, the "pause/stop" button function is dead. The only way to shut the machine off is to unplug it. This machine lasted 6 days. We wish we had seen the reviews on this site before buying. We are not going to bother with the warranty and trying to get it fixed as it seems that is just more wasted time.

We only have 14 days to return this lemon to Lowe's. The folks at our Lowe's are really nice. They offered to replace the unit - but why bother? If a new product from GE fails that fast, I want nothing to do with anything they make. From the other reviews on this site, our problem is not unique. Our old washer, a top loading GE from 2005 sits out back. It will be more cost-effective to have that machine rebuilt than to bother with anything made today. That old unit was a warrior.

GE Washing Machines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The same dedication to quality that GE puts into building products like jet engine turbines and wind towers goes into their washing machines. GE is an American symbol of industry that was ranked the 14th most profitable large firm in the United States and has even had employees that have won Nobel Prizes.

• Washer's with many features in one place: GE washers often offer Energy Star certification, stain removal settings, vibration control and an automatic precision dispensing system, all in one machine.

• Special offers: GE routinely features great deals on washers in its Special Offers section on their website, helping buyers connect with rebates, tax credits and special holiday sales.

• Washers that look great: Besides offering washers that fulfill nearly every customer's desire, GE washers also come in many colors and finishes, all the way from platinum to ruby red.

• Best for: People who want a washer that offers beautiful design, people who are energy conscious, families and professionals.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs