Protect what matters most

Protect yourself from the unexpected - Shop home warranty companies.

Protect my home
1.81/5

Protect what matters most

Protect yourself from the unexpected - Shop home warranty companies.

Protect my home

1126 GE Washing Machines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

In my occupation, I am required to wear uniforms. I wash my uniforms every week. I have had the same uniforms for 6 months. They still look new. They are not dingy. They do not have a "nursing home smell." They smell like fabric soften. I have washed the same uniforms at the laundry mat. The clothes have lint fibers on them. They come out hot alone with acquired stench.

The GE (General Electric) Model # GTWN8250DOWS/ Serial RA17271OG, I have owned for more than 5 years. I have not had any problems. The washing machine have several selection. You can select extra rinse cycle, ecomony wash, and soak cycles. It automatic selects the water level for the amount of clothes in the wash basket. It can become a little noisy doing the rinse cycle. But I can live with it, given the other good qualities of the machine.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Great washer overall. But the problem is with the energy saving low amount of water the washer uses. In order for stains to be removed, I must use a stain remover. The low water level, which is not adjustable, does not move the clothing around enough for a good washing for stained items. I found the items washed didn’t rinse enough, so everything I wash has to have an extra rinse. I do use the proper detergent for these machines and measure accurately. I love the hand wash cycle on this washer and use it regularly. I have had this washer for almost 11 years and have never needed any service. I will buy GE again. I hope the newer washers have improved water levels.

Get expert buying tips about Washers and Dryers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

My old washer was a GE that lasted 35 years until it finally quit. I bought a new GE. It has many features. My old one didn’t plus it’s quieter and spins out great. The clothes are almost dry so it takes less dryer time. I am no fond on the leaking lid because sometimes I use liquid detergent and like to put it in water before adding clothes. Now I add detergent and pour about a gallon of water to dissolve it. Most of the time I use pods. I just hope I get the long lasting service from this one as I did from my old one.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I had a 5 year old expensive Whirlpool model with all the bells and whistles. It got to where it was constantly throwing codes, it was more to fix it than to buy another washer. I chose the GE because it has dial controls and an agitator at a very good price. I have had it for about 8 months and it does the job. I hope I get more than 5 years out of this one, but I spent less than half the price of the old washer I had.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Our GE washer, model #GTW460ASJ6WW, needed repair. They first tried to walk me through re-setting the washer, but that didn't work and it needed to have a technician sent out to repair it. It was one month out of warranty, however, the very nice gentleman on the phone stated that since it was just one month out of warranty, they would send someone out 'no charge'. Some other companies wouldn't have done this one month out of warranty, so I think GE deserves a shout out.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Original review: May 21, 2019

We bought the GE Front-Loading Washer (GFWR4805F0RR) in October 2014 and it has never worked properly. GE Reps confirmed faulty design chip issue (can't fix) and cycle pause issue (can't fix). The machine cannot balance during spin cycle and keeps resetting itself between 6 to 10 minutes at end of cycle, over and over. Towels come out soaking wet, not damp.

I just had it serviced AGAIN today and the GE tech replaced the Inverter Machine Control Board and drain pump since it was leaking liquid. After he left, I put a load of 5 towels in and 1 hour and 45 minutes later the machine shut itself off and towels still soaking wet. Neither GE, nor Spencer's (place of purchase) will deem this 'non-repairable' and provide me a washer that works. I spent $3,000 for the W/D set and expect more. The dryer (GFDR48SEF7RR) caught fire because of a faulty circuit board. It was smoking. Thank goodness we were home. I have pictures and kept the burnt circuit board as reference. I have four pages of notes of service related calls and discussions. Techs confirmed GE uses cheap parts that won't last and that includes front-loading and top-loading washing machines. Go with the Speed Queen. It's more expensive, but built to last.

Original review: April 29, 2019

Because of space limitations and apartment wiring, I've now had two of the GE space-saving washer/dryer 27" unit in the past two years. I would never choose it again. The dryer of each has after a few months deposited black grease on collar points, the edges of sheets, and tie ribbons of sleepwear. Only dark clothing is safe to place in the dryer. With no sounding bell to alert when the drying cycle is over, clothes often sit forgotten until they require ironing. There is no soaking cycle. I could force one with the first machine by leaving the top open. But the one purchased 6 months ago just fills and then drains if the lid is up.

Original review: April 27, 2019

This washer will cost you a lot more money in the end. First of all it does not clean clothes properly and the rinse will not get rid of the soap. It leaves residue on dark colors. The spin cycle tangles clothes so bad that even after putting in the dryer they still have wrinkles. You will definitely be doing more ironing. Plus the water sucks out from the bottom and it is fraying a lot of the clothes. This is where you will be spending a lot more money buying clothes because it will ruin them. Also if you do blankets or even sheets it becomes unbalanced and will walk itself right out of your laundry room and literally right through the door. If I had to do over this would not be my washer. I have no idea how they can sell a product so poor in quality and ask good money for it. Stay away from it!!!

Original review: April 26, 2019

I've given myself almost six months to try and find things to appreciate with my brand new GE Deep Fill High Efficiency Turbo washing machine, model GTW460ASJ9WW. Unfortunately, I'm at a loss and regret the day I purchased it. Why do I hate it? Let me count the ways!

1. It will not provide enough water to wash anything but a small load of clothes. What was once one super large load for my old GE machine has to be accomplished in three "super" loads for my new machine. Even then, clothes come out of the wash with dirty lint adhering to the folds. The drum is large and roomy causing you to believe it can handle a regular large load. Alas. It is a lie. Even the owner's reference guide claims there are three water levels with the highest showing the water raising to the top of the agitator. Lies. The "Deep Fill" option does little if anything to address the problem.

2. You have to program your cycle upfront and cannot change it midstream without starting the entire cycle over again. My old machine allowed me to easily back-up and repeat one individual cycle of rinse or spin without having to go through the entire wash cycle once again.

3. I know I'm paying extra money for unnecessary bells and whistles. Does one really need your machine to play you a song when it begins the wash cycle and when it ends? How in the world did I figure out my washing machine was starting and ending the wash cycle for the previous 40+ years I've been doing laundry? I know if the computer chip malfunctions, the repair cost for these machines will be stupidly high.

4. It has trouble remaining balanced when washing heavier items like blankets and mattress pads. The machine practically becomes a walking monster, threatening to charge out the door and quit its awful job!

In summary, stay away from this machine. I wish I had my old machine. Grandma's wringer washer worked better than this one!

Original review: April 23, 2019

I don't know who changes everything to make things "better" but this washer, and most brands from what my friends have suggested, are worse than ever. This washer will NOT spin things such as bath rugs or a blanket or other things even on heavy duty or bulky setting. I have had to run several cycles to luck up on one that actually spins so that it isn't so heavy and dripping with water and so heavy that you can't even lift it out of the tub!!! It has happened over and over!!!

I have run several loads, not even a full load, and put the setting on deep fill, and when I pull my clothes out, (which I just did, thus this review that is overdue from the week I first got it 3 yrs. ago and $650) and places on the clothes are as dry as a bone :(. Even deep fill won't wash your clothes. I hate this washer! And if you want to add something, the darn lid locks so you have to pause and wait until it decides to unlock to add. I like to add my powder detergent after the water is in the tub so you have to babysit it until that happens, otherwise the detergent cakes on the side of the tub and there it sits, wash after wash unless by chance the waterline HAPPENS to reach that level. Bottom line.... Do not buy this washer.... You will want your old one back even if it is broken. We had a refrigerator by GE that we bought in 1979 and it lasted for about 25 years and we loved it so much. Wish we had loved this purchase that much.

Original review: April 21, 2019

I purchased the washer and dryer new in 12/2018 and have had nothing but trouble. When you wash anything with sleeves and legs they get all knotted up every time I wash this type of clothing. Due to the low water levels they don't get clean, and have parts of the clothes dry. Have had a service calls and was told only can use "Super" wash level and "Bulky items" settings, so the other functions are useless. It gets off balance many times and moves across the floor. I have another service call scheduled to follow the guidelines of now on to the Consumer Relations Dept. This is the poorest engineered design. The dryer "balls" the clothes up in one lump, like a cocoon. I am fighting for a return of washer and dryer as they both are worthless to me when they don't work properly and I am stuck babysitting them when I use them, just to get through the cycles. VERY DISSATISFIED WITH THESE. DO NOT BUY THEM!!!

Original review: April 11, 2019

Every time I wash the clothing they come out with lint. I try washing them again, with same problem. I have to clean them clothes with a lint roller, after the clothes dry. It is a waste of my time and effort. Plus I have to pay double the water and electricity.

Original review: April 5, 2019

I bought the original washer in 2008, GE has replaced it 5 times. The problem is it rusts. It reminds me of the Automobiles of the 50 and 60s. They used incorrect metal for the appliance and did not finish it with the correct process. Appliances should last 10/12 years according to consumer reports. These start to rust after 1 years and by 2/3 years they are unusable. Rust covering anything in the pedestal. If you buy one make sure you get the extended warranty from a reliable company.

Original review: April 3, 2019

I'm very unhappy with my GE profile washer... I set to heavy loads and it fills up with very little water. The clothes are very wrinkled. I won't buy another GE washer again. I can't afford to buy a new washer.

Original review: April 1, 2019

I have had this washer just over a year. Why you shouldn't buy this model: It takes forever to wash a load. It stops constantly to "check" the water level. It is loud. My home office is right beside the laundry room - has been for years. It is loud for every cycle. The clothes come out a tangled mess. Socks in sleeves and wadded all together. Everything needs ironed. The clothes come out with soap on them. (We put soap in 1st and add extra water.) I can't open the lid without it stopping the washer and having to restart it. It has a musty smell when not in use. I have run vinegar through the lines and empty loads, in 30+ years- I have never smelled stale water from the washer.

Original review: March 31, 2019

My advice to anyone... Do NOT ever, EVER buy a GE washer. It's garbage. I bought a GTW485AJS. It puts almost NO water in the basket, and the agitator cranks on nothing by damp clothing, literally SHREDDING the stuff because there is hardly any water. The "rinse" is just a spin while spraying water. All my older (classic) washers did that too, it's an efficient way to rinse the clothing. But this thing spins the clothes hard against the barrel, then sprays DOWN THE AGITATOR. So all the spray water missed the clothing, and goes down the drain. In other words it's actually WASTING THE WATER.

For 60+ years, washer manufacturers made machines that would rinse correctly. But suddenly GE is loaded with incompetent engineers who can't design a quality unit... After two tears of complaining, and them sending third party service people out to look at it, I gave up. All the third party service people EVER told me was "Yeah, everyone is complaining about these. That's just the way they are."

Original review: March 27, 2019

I bought this washing machine last year and have been miserable with this machine ever since! The worst feature of this machine is that the clothes come out terribly wrinkled! You will have to iron everything including sheets, towels, and clothing. The sheets are so wrinkled beyond belief! Also, the clothes do not get completely wet while being washed and some of the clothes are still partly dry from when you put them in. ALso, when washing towels or sheets, they shift to one side which causes the washer to "walk out" from the wall and you will have to push the washer back against the wall because it has come away from the wall by 2 feet. DO NOT BUY THIS PIECE OF JUNK unless you LOVE to iron!

Original review: March 25, 2019

GTW485ASJ4WS Serial. RH16645G. I bought this product in 2017 at Lowe’s, I bought a two year extended warranty. I did not get this lemon back to Lowe’s in 30 days, my bad, thought extended warranty covered me there, it does not. Lowe's fail to warn me of this detail in VERY FINE PRINT. TRIED TO USE THIS MACHINE 6 times at our cabin, it failed miserably all six times. In essence, use the use the check system of what it is SUPPOSED TO DO, and then check off what it DID NOT DO, WHICH WAS ALL OF THE ABOVE. NOW, this is a HE Machine mind you.

Tried to return this item, but no, I had to have it checked out before I could replace it with another lemon. I did have it checked out, techs said this just the way it worked!!! Which is pure BS WHEN YOU SPEND THAT KIND OF MONEY FOR A TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE appliance. What happened to the old type of machines where it filled with water to cover the clothes, and got them clean, it rinsed all the soap out, it spun your clothes dry. Voila!

So now I am at a crossroad with no really good option. Arrived at a solution, going to Salvation Army and DONATE THIS DAMNED THING, surely the Lord won’t hold it against me since I did not lie about it like GE did to me. I only said I did not like it, and was not going to use it. And that is not a lie. Kudos here is that I have a receipt, and can deduct it off of 2019 tax write off.

FYI BUY A Speed Queen, even if you have to finance it, it will pay you back 10 fold. Washers are guaranteed for 15 years, dryers for 25. I have them in my home. Buy LW 432Sp115Tw01, they changed the way these work in 2019. Dont buy those, you want the 2017 model, for a good reason. THEY WORK and without sensors, old fashioned type.

Original review: March 20, 2019

Just bought GE Washer and dryer last week. The washer is terrible -- so noisy. It is in our laundry room and the noise is terrible.GE tech came out and said they all make this noise. If this was on display on the store it definitely would not sell. It sounds like something is loudly rubbing and will wear something. I ended up purchasing a service contract (which I rarely buy) from the repairman as I thought I would probably need it as this sound seems wearing. I've always been pleased with GE appliances and we have the profile micro, dishwasher and glass top stove but I will never buy GE again as I don't believe this noise is in all their washers as the technician said. Don't buy GE!

Original review: March 17, 2019

I wish I had kept the washer I had before this one. I bought the pair of GE Profile series washer and dryer. I have never had a problem with the dryer but the washing machine is a different story. It sounded like an airplane when it was running from day one. It does not have the regular type agitator. This one is suppose to save on water but NEVER puts enough water to wash the clothes. I always have to add water from a pitcher I keep in the stationary tub in the utility room.

In order to start the washer there is a little button on the panel. You almost need to use your knuckle to push it in to start it. This button had to be replaced twice since I had it. This washer right now sounds like it is dying - my opinion is that it is straining to run because of the low water level it puts in. I want to buy a new washer but the cost of a new decent one has held me back and also this one is rusting out on the top where you put the bleach in. I never had one that did this either. I will not buy another one without the regular agitator - I hope they still have them available. No more GE washers for me.

Original review: March 13, 2019

Beware. I will make this short. Their appliances are defective and horrible 3 months and I’m out of my money. Any type of help from General Electric only "I'm sorry to hear that." 4 technicians came out and just tinkered with it...Today I received a call. Technician called out for the rest of the week... They will call me at a late date to TRY and fix. Save your money and any additional stress we don't need. I CAN’T BELIEVE THEY’RE STILL IN BUSINESS. HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE AND NO TYPE OF WARRANTY... I was better off buying a used washer and dryer at the swap meet.

Original review: March 2, 2019

I bought a GE washer and dryer Agee Montserrat apart. I did not buy extended warranty. I have not bought any extended warranties in the past. I have bought 2 other sets of washers and dryers in 40 yrs no warranties. Some small repairs after 5-6 years Whirlpool products. Had a product over 10 yrs. Approximately a few months after warranty on dryer timer went. Of course nothing would be. It is the most expensive part to replace. $250- not elect not heat up. Washer is great. I can’t believe the repairs will cost 1/2 the price of dryer.

To me this unacceptable. Will never buy GE product again. Very sad. The quality of everything is so poor. Everyone I spoke to said you're forced to buy warranties, nothing is good quality, even much more expensive appliances. I guess I should buy older appliances that will last last for years. Very disappointed! Quality does matter to corporations or customer satisfaction. Only they make more and more money is the bottom line.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

We have a brand new GE washing machine that was installed September 2018. It is Feb 2019 and we are on our SECOND repair call THIS MONTH. 2/1/2018 they sent someone out to repair the machine because it dragged a blanket down into the drain area of the machine. I never knew this was possible but there we were. Of course CS does not care and I have to wait days to get someone out. (Side note, the dryer also had to be repaired at that time for faulty start button).

Now on 2/22/2019 the same washing machine stopped after the wash cycle, failed to continue to rinse and spin and turned off. It was at this time that we discovered a horrible burning smell coming from the machine and that the tub has filled with BLACK water. Yes this means an entire load of clothes has been turned black and is sitting in black water. We unplugged the machine, checked for fires and started our odyssey of trying to get GE to actually care.

Since it is the weekend no one seems to think this is an emergency worth anyone's time or attention. Of course we can get a service call on Monday afternoon - the last available service call for a few weeks BTW. When we owned a Maytag we had service within the day EVEN ON WEEKENDS. We did not choose GE. They came with a new home we had built. And I think I can say that I do not think I will ever buy GE products again and may even set this one by the curb with "Ask me about my GE washing machine" on it and buy something else.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

We purchased our new top load GE Washer just over 2 years ago. The drum appears to have detached and spun crazily within the machine during the spin cycle. Result is a totally wrecked machine, the entire frame is bent, and the top will not open without forced effort. The front and side of the machine were dented from the inside out. Calls to GE were completely unproductive. As soon as they found out there was not an "extended warranty", they didn't seem to care. Final result. We're shopping for a new washer - but this one, and all future purchases, will never again be GE. Buyer beware of this model.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

Bought new washer. In 3 months the motor went out. Called GE. They sent repair tech out. Took a week only to tell us gearbox was bad. Had to order parts. That was another week so 2 weeks of going to laundromat. 1 month later quit again. Called GE. Sent out repair tech again another week just to tell us the motor was bad. Order parts another week so 2 weeks again going to laundromat. Lasted 1 month again. Now pump won't pump out water so called GE. Demanded new washer. They refused. Said they could only repair it so in 5 months having new washer we've been 6 weeks without it and going to laundromat spending more money 'cause GE would rather spend great deal of money in repair costs and labor.

WE WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER GE PRODUCT EVER!!! Not just because we got a lemon in this appliance but because of GE poor customer service and lack of responsibility. Not to mention the hours on hours of time spent on the phone with them and their automated system like we have nothing better to do than sit on the phone and listen to them say, "We are sorry."

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

The washer won't even fill half full. Leaves detergent residue in the clothes and makes me have a rash. Not enough water to properly clean the laundry. GE technician came to my home. He confirmed that it will not fill properly, and he stated that since the washer fill only half full, that I should use half the normal amount of detergent. He had no remedy other than that.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

Does not do spin cycle about 50% of the time. Go thru reset combo and it will work for 1-2 wash cycles. We have had repair from 2 different vendors and they just do the reset and say that is all they can do. I looked up how to reset online but you never know when or if it will work. Also, it just started 1 time and would not shut off. Unplugged and plugged back in and it would start again. Left it unplugged for a couple of hours and it work correctly again.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

I will NEVER buy another GE washer. My mother, my daughter, a family friend and I ALL had the same horrific experience. The washer will fill, and fill, and fill until it overflows. You must push dial in to stop the flow of water then manually turn dial to rinse/spin and pray for the water to drain. Then you have to open the top/faceplate/control panel where there is a clear tube on the left. Unhook tube, BLOW into tube and it might work if you start a new wash cycle. Call GE to order the part connected to tube because that’s what’s bad, they REFUSE to help. Want to send a tech at $90 per hour. Won’t tell you part number. Won’t stand behind warranty.

Mine didn’t even last a year, my mother and daughter each started having problems at about the 14-month mark. Mind you, they each are single, live alone and do maybe two loads per week. My friend’s washer was 12 months old. I warn everyone of our experience. The floor under my washer had to be ripped up and replaced. What a nightmare. I have ALWAYS bought GE because being a major brand I assumed they would stand behind their appliances. Not true. Four washers ended up in the landfill/junkyard while they were still practically new.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

Makes a lot of noise. Noise I never heard on any other washing machine' sounds like it's starting and stopping. Skips cyles, and then you have to go back and start over again. Unable to stop, once you start, without starting over. It's only 2 years old.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I purchased a GE washer and drying from Home Depot only a couple of months ago, and I've already had so many issues with both. I had the washer replaced three times, because it did not work or came damaged. Now literally a couple of months later, the drying has stopped working. I called Home Depot, who got in contact with GE themselves somehow (because I was never able to get anyone on the phone using their 800 #) and scheduled to have a technician come in. The technician was very rude and had zero customer service skills or etiquette for that matter. As I tried asking questions about the condition of my dryer, I was having a conversation with the back of his head the entire time.

Before he walked out of my house and barely stated something about me having to wait for some part to be ordered, and then schedule for another technician to come at a later date to fix the dryer. Now I have to yet again deal with the inconvenience of having to drag bags of laundry to a public laundromat in the interim. They also claimed to have the part available and not on backordered or anything. However, they can't even expedite the service to my dryer so that I don't have to further go through any more inconvenience. I'm disgusted by the quality of their products and their lack of care for their customers. Therefore, I will NEVER purchase another GE appliance. I refuse to give this horrible company another penny of my money!!!

GE Washing Machines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The same dedication to quality that GE puts into building products like jet engine turbines and wind towers goes into their washing machines. GE is an American symbol of industry that was ranked the 14th most profitable large firm in the United States and has even had employees that have won Nobel Prizes.

• Washer's with many features in one place: GE washers often offer Energy Star certification, stain removal settings, vibration control and an automatic precision dispensing system, all in one machine.

• Special offers: GE routinely features great deals on washers in its Special Offers section on their website, helping buyers connect with rebates, tax credits and special holiday sales.

• Washers that look great: Besides offering washers that fulfill nearly every customer's desire, GE washers also come in many colors and finishes, all the way from platinum to ruby red.

• Best for: People who want a washer that offers beautiful design, people who are energy conscious, families and professionals.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs