1.28/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution
Need a washer and dryer?
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 13, 2017

996 GE Washing Machines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

My daughter purchased a washing machine for my birthday 6/7/2016. I will never purchase a GE washing machine ever again. It has been a problem ever since. When GE repairman came out he didn’t fix the problem as it still isn’t wringing out clothes. I didn’t purchase extended warranty so I’m screwed. I never had a problem with my old Maytag in all the years that I owned a Maytag washer machine. None of my friends will ever purchase a GE washer again.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

Machine is only 2 years old and doesn't get clothes clean. Cycle times out - starts draining water and does not agitate. The only cycle that seems to work is soak cycle. I have read many reviews that say they have had service person come and try to fix but issues continue. At this point, simply going to buy a new washer. So, so disappointed in GE. Will NEVER buy one of their products again.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

My GE washer and dryer are probably 20 years old and still going strong. Purchased from Sears and have never has a problem with either one of them. They are not "cool" looking like new models but they take care of my needs very well.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

We purchased GE washer model no GTW460ASJ4WW and matching dryer. The dryer had to be repaired during the warranty period, but now this washer YOU WON'T BELIEVE HOW CHEAPLY MADE it is... Last night I tried to wash a microfleece blanket (you know how sleek this material is when wet). So all of a sudden I hear this loud noise while it was spinning. I paused the cycle and look inside. The "auger" which is the arm attached to the agitator was off flopping around! Come to find out these two parts are not one piece! There is an agitator is a basket bolted in the bottom and auger just screws on! With four L shape pieces that less than an inch in size, I have seen sturdier parts on model car kits! Thats the ONLY THING that screws this auger on and connects it! How cheaply made is that! I will NEVER PURCHASE ANOTHER GE APPLIANCE! Come on GE you need a new design team!!!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I bought a GE front load washer and a GE dryer from Lowe's in 2016. Only a year after purchase the Washer (GFWR2700HWW) is making a very loud noise (like an airplane taking off). I call GE and they said that they can only cover parts, but I would be responsible for labor and diagnostics service. Why would I want to pay hundreds of dollars for a 1 year old machine? It cost me $800 last year to buy it brand new. I had a Whirlpool for 10 years and It worked fine. I have an LG fridge that is 11 years old and it's still working like the day I purchased it, GE has bad products, they don't want to take responsibility for their faulty machines. I am never buying GE again and I will make sure none of my friends and family make the same mistake.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

My machine broke down around the 1st of October 2017. I called GE repair and they sent out a repairman. He has been out to replace parts 3 times since then and is scheduled to come out for a 4th visit after yet another part is ordered. I have been without a washing machine for a month. How long can this go on? My warranty will be up in January. Will they continue to replace parts until then and just cast me aside? So far they have replaced: The motor, transmission, agitator, clutch and electrical board. Now, they are going to replace the transmission again because maybe the first one they replace was defective? I will never, ever buy another GE machine again. I thought they were solid and reputable, but things obviously have changed. They are refusing to just give me another machine. I failed to mention that my machine is just 8 months old. Customers beware of GE's service department

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

Our GE Adora washing machine was purchased to replace the one we'd had for about 15 years. After about 9 months, it started making horrendous noise on spin cycle. This happens no matter WHAT cycle - delicate, jeans, whites, etc. I will NEVER purchase GE appliances again. We cannot even have a conversation while the thing is spinning. Terrible.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I am sitting at home and missed a day of work because the GE Appliance Repair Tech was to be here 10/24/17 between 8am to 12pm. I called the service number at 11:50am and they told me that they could not do anything until after 12pm. I called at 12:15pm and I was on hold for over 3 hours. Finally GE called and said that their tech could not make it and, "He has been trying to call you." I told GE that the tech didn't call my cellphone because I have been on hold with them for over 3 hours and I am still on hold with them on the other line. The other number that was on my ticket was my work number. You may ask yourself how is it that someone in their right mind who has an appointment at someone's home to repair their dryer would call their work number. I will let you know when I return to work tomorrow if the tech called me at work and what time if any!

This is totally unacceptable, unprofessional and dishonest as an organization. Also, the customer service rep that called me was just as bad because she told me that the tech said that he called me. She was adamant about the tech calling me. Why would I have stayed home and missed a entire day of work if I wasn't going to answer the phone? I rescheduled my appointment for Thursday 10/26/17 from 1pm to 5pm. By the way I just purchased the dryer on 9/9/17 and I have been without a dryer for over two weeks…what's another week. I would love for GE to give me a call about this situation! I am awaiting their call! I will let you know how the appointment goes on Thursday, 10/26/17.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

My 3 year old GE front loader died a couple of weeks ago. The service technician said the timer had failed and would need to be replaced. He informed me that he ordered the part and it should ship to my home in 3-5 business days. It never arrived so I followed up with GE. They told me that there was no record of a part being ordered. They ordered the part again and told me it should arrive in 3-5 day. Waited a week, still no part. Called yet again to complain but all they could do was contact dispatch and have someone call me. Never heard from them either. This has been a very frustrating experience. I'm without a machine for over 2 weeks and I have 3 kids! I will once again be inconvenienced by having to wait for another technician. I'm disappointed that the timer died after only 3 years and now dealing with an incompetent customer service team.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

The GE dryers (which I didn’t realize at time of purchase!) are all made with a “defect”! The inside of the door at top inside, is not smooth! There are many crevices that catch the clothes while drying and burn, tear, rip, and hold the clothing inside one of many crevices while the dryer is turning!!! Hundreds of my clothes, pillowcases etc. have been ruined!! I bought a new dryer today (not a GE!!), and I physically inspected each and every brand they had (6 different brands, 16 dryers!). EVERY SINGLE GE HAD THE SAME CREVICES INSIDE TOP OF DOOR!! NONE OF THE OTHER BRANDS... NONE are with ANY CREVICE!! Every single brand is smooth!!! All other brands besides GE are smooth inside top of door! GE owes me a refund and needs to recall all dryers and learn to make a dryer!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I purchased a new GE front load dryer from Lowe's in June 2017. Every time we used we smelled gas outside by the vent intermittently. Had the service tech out for it and of course the smell wouldn't show up. He gave some recommendations to reduce some elbows (8) in the exhaust as it was possibly exhaust smell but pipes clean and airflow strong. I know the difference between gas and the exhaust smell... As of today 10-13-17, we now are getting the exhaust smell. I've reduced the elbows in the rigid exhaust and find no lint buildup whatsoever. I'm baffled on how the smell could be happening if the ducts are clean and airflow strong unless it's built up in the dryer. Calling service tech again today. A new dryer shouldn't have these problems. Stay away from GE people.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

Bought Model GTW460ASJWW July 2016, impossible to keep it in balance. Sounds like a locomotive approaching in the spin cycle. If you select a delicate cycle for gentle laundry, hardly moves during wash cycle, but spins so hard you have to peel clothes off wall of machine. Purchased at Lowe's, called them first time shortly after purchase when it danced across floor and cut off. Explained the loud noise, and appliance rep stated "that's your government's fault". I am a nervous wreck every time I wash. Stand there during spin cycle holding each front corner and afraid it's going to come apart one day.

It seems you get no help from Lowe's once product is purchased. No more GE, no more appliances from Lowe's. Additionally, Lowe's printout of register receipt is so pale it will eventually fade and be unreadable. I made enlarged, darker copies for proof of my 3 year warranty purchased. It would be to Lowe's advantage to listen more carefully to customer complaints and attempt to help customer's resolve problems, and possibly not carry GE appliances.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

Bought the new washer (GTW460ASJ6WW) on 7-9-2017. Here it is 9/19/2017 and it won't work. I have to wait three weeks for a service call. I bought this at Lowe's and they will not help either since it is beyond thirty days. Why doesn't GE care about their reputation? Why would you not take care of a customer with a less than three month old machine that isn't working??? My advice do not buy GE if you want a company that stands behind their products.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

Within 7 mos the motor goes out on Hotpoint dryer that was purchased in Feb, 2017. (Aug 20) Serviceman puts in new motor. 3 weeks later, motor goes out again. Replaced with 2nd motor and it does not work. Another week later, still nothing. I was under the impression he was ordering another motor, but that did not happen. Serviceman expected 9/23/17. He won't have a motor so that means another week. Over a month and GE cannot repair dryer. I have requested a new dryer be delivered. No one will respond! Have talked to several people, but I am only referred to the Consumer Support phone # and I get nowhere with any of the GE personnel. Don't expect the big Corporation of GE to be of any assistance if you receive a product that is poor workmanship!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

I decided to buy a new washer and dryer because mine was 21 years old. I had to have a machine that has an agitator so, GE had a deal on and I bought the set... model number GTW460ASJ0WW... The first day it was delivered it leaked and would not work. Then it would not turn on at all. Called GE. They sent a repairman, who replaced the motherboard. Up to today I've had the machine almost a year and have had to call the repair guy in 8 times...

Damn machine has me so upset, washer fills with water and won't wash, won't drain. I have to bail out water with a milk jug. When it works hey it washes better than most but you don't even hardly have a chance to use the wash cycle! I hate this machine... Repair guy is coming again next week sometime, I am demanding a new machine this time. So sick of this and I'm easy on my machine, light loads, I'm single so I do 1-3 loads on weekends. I strongly advise that you not buy this machine. Spend the $2,000.00 or even $4,000.00 and get a proper set! I'll never buy GE again!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

Not thrilled with the GE Profile line but particularly the dryer that has been shedding its skin down to bare metal for a few years now... The washing machine that sits right next to it is fine. Just a very strange occurrence and shame on me for not addressing it with appliance paint etc...

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

I bought the GE Direct Drive with my new house. I have had no issues for 18 months. Repairman came in and found all screws holding the magnet to the could lose. One fell in and due to could going around damaged coil. A machine like this should not have issues after 18 months. GE has a serious quality control issue. Overall good washer that works well.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

GE and their products are definitely not what they used to be. We purchased top load washer GE GTWN4250DWH 2 years ago to replace the Kenmore which also used to be a good product in old days but not anymore. The reason we purchased it that it had good features and the water level that you can control yourself which is hard to find in these days (not sure why manufactures think if you just wet your laundry it will come out clean). The machine was working fine for the first year and after that the electronic board started to act up: sometimes it works on some cycles and sometimes it does not!

We called GE to see what can be done since machine is only 2 years old and in the past they used to last 10-15 years or even longer and of course we had been told since we do not have an extended warranty we are pretty much on our own. It's like they know that their products are junk after the first year or two and forcing you to buy extended warranty. First, we did schedule an appointment with GE to come and fix it but the more we thought how they do not stand behind their product and who knows what can break next we decided to cancel the service call and purchased Speed Queen top load washer that has great reviews and comes with 3 years manufacture warranty, I guess they do stand behind their product. Do not think we will be purchasing anything else made by GE.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I begin experiencing problems that I notice with my GE Top Load washing machine last year. When I notice little holes in my tops (blouses, tees, etc). I didn't realize how bad it was until an inspection of my clothing turned up this problem in the same spot, lower middle of the article. I googled this problem and I saw where I was not the only one experiencing it. I have had my machine for at least 5 years and I'm sure GE will not make any adjustments but I want other buyers to know what will happen if they purchase this machine, model # GTWN4250D0WS.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

GE washer model number gfws3505lms - Thank Goodness no one can buy this. It's been discontinued. It's garbage!! Mine is only 2 1/2 years old and it will not run. The power comes on but the door will not lock and it just starts counting down the time in seconds. Had the repairman in and it cost me 90 bucks to be told it would cost me $600 to fix it!!! **!!! Don't EVER EVER EVER EVER BUY A PRODUCT FROM GE!!!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

GE 4.8 Cu Ft Top Load Washer GTW485BMKWS - We have had our GE Washer for 8 months and within the first four months it started to experience many problems. The warranty service folks have fixed it three times already and are coming back next week for the fourth time. The transmission and computer board has been replaced. They are replacing the drain hose next week and a belt has been replaced. It seems to have problems even washing four towels at a time without draining or starting. I think the computer board or sensing unit has a problem because it is unable to adjust to some loads.

We have lost hope and GE seems very eager to constantly send the repair folks until the warranty expires in 4 months. The repair person told us that he repairs this same model several times a week and we do not even live in a large city - population of 72,000 so the model must be quite problematic. I wrote to GE public relations and they just replied stating the GE Appliances was sold to Haier last year - I would strongly recommend avoiding this brand.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I have the washer and dryer for more than 14 year and continue like is was new. Without a doubt, the equipment it is a helpful part in our life. On the other hand, I recommend GE appliances.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

I purchased a GE frontload Right Height washer 7/24/15. Model GFWR2700H1WW. When they delivered the washer they could not install because it was defective. I waited 3 weeks for 2nd washer to be installed. This washer began having problems a few weeks ago. It is so load in the spin cycle, it vibrates my walls. It sounds like a jet. I am afraid something dangerous could happen if I keep using it. A GE repair tech diagnosed it as needing a new tub and bearings. The labor alone is $505. The parts are over $600. GE said they would waive the parts cost but the labor charge is equal to a new machine. These parts are defective. They are no fault of mine. I have taken good care of this washer. These parts should last more than 2 years.

GE will only offer a new machine for $829 or repair for $505. This is unacceptable. This machine was made in China. Now they supposedly make them in the US. If this machine has been improved in the last couple of years they should repair these defective parts free of charge or replace the machine. If this company wants satisfied customers they should offer products that last more than 2 years. I will never buy GE again. You lost me as a customer. I will recommend you to no one!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

I purchased this washing machine GE Model GLWN2800D1WS for my mother because it was a simple top loader and she is up in age. Lowe's is where I purchased it and they passed me off to GE who couldn't care less whether I was happy or not with the machine. After reimbursement for the clothes the machine ruined by chewing them up. They still never fixed the machine. After a second tech came out the solution he had given me was "not to put any good clothes in the machine." Now after not being willing to replace the machine it is making a horrible noise when it runs the spin cycle and now leaking on the floor from somewhere other than the hoses. Bottom Line... I will never, ever purchase another GE product. I will also not purchase any expensive appliance from Lowe's. They can't be bothered with customer service.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

GE GFW450SSKWW Front Load Washer - This is the biggest piece of junk and I suggest you don't buy one, a brand new front loading washer and dryer that has issues the very first day! The washing machine's pump hums so loud I can hear it upstairs, and the dryer door is misaligned and does not close without lifting it up to meet the latch. The clothes are wet when the spin cycle is finished beyond what is expected of a normally functioning washing machine, so I called the first day to set up a service appointment only to have six unsolicited e-mails and calls from customer service individuals who think they can diagnose a problem over the phone.

FYI, I am an Engineer and when I suggest we have a problem then we have a problem. The icing on the cake was a phone call from service at five p.m. on Friday from "Amanda" saying that she was canceling my appointment and had to reschedule? Rude, condescending and lacking professional decorum defines the conversation! Run and do not even consider this company or product, take my word for it!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

I bought GE 460 model. Had machine less than 1 month and I am returning it. Machine cuts off and doesn't complete washing cycle. Today I have been trying to wash the same load of clothes for over 3 hours and it keeps stopping. VERY DISSATISFIED AND DISAPPOINTED with this purchase. Turned me off from GE products for life. Waste of money and time.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

I have had this washer (GE front loader GFW680SPKDG) for about a month, and I'm extremely disappointed. So much so that I'm going to contact the local appliance store that I bought it from and see if I can trade it on the Speed Queen that I was contemplating buying when I bought this one. After a lot of research on front loaders and GE (I have 4 other GE appliances that I have been very happy with, and researched this model washer prior to buying)... I opted for this machine. So far, I have had some loads taking 2 HOURS longer to wash as it will keep resetting the time during the cycle. Some loads come out very wet. The fabric softener dispenser is full of water after most loads that I do (caused by "natural siphoning" when the load spins out), so I have to use paper towels to suck up the water to put more in the dispenser for the next load. Oh, and it's been leaking from the left rear of the machine during some loads.

So before contacting the store I bought it from to get a repair person out, I read my owners manual. All of these are "NORMAL". I am using HE detergent, recommended amount. It's normal for the cycle to take longer if it has to reset due to "unbalancing". I bought a front loader instead of a top loader to minimize the unbalancing problem. If I use too much detergent, it will leak from the left rear of the machine. I am putting the right amount in the dispenser and using HE detergent. Sometimes the loads don't spin all the water out (which again is "normal"), so in that case just hit drain and spin to spin out again. Hmmm. I already waited an extra hour for the cycle to finish. And now I have to wait longer to get it to spin out properly?

Unfortunately, when doing my research, I did not come across this website because I did not see any bad reviews for this particular model washer, which is what I put in the search engine when researching. Hopefully someone considering this washer will see this and think twice. And reading over and over again how bad their customer service is will really make me reconsider ever buying an appliance from GE again, despite being happy with the other GE appliances I have. Wake up corporate America. People are tired of spending our hard earned dollars on your products and getting crap and attitude when you don't stand behind your product.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

I purchased a GE Stacked Laundry Unit from Lowe's. The first few times I used it, I knew something was wrong with it. So I called GE, they sent a tech from GE to look at it. I explained to him how terrible the machine sounded when I turned it on. It sounded like it was going to blow up any minute. The tech took the front panel off, looked at it for a second and said there's nothing wrong with it. It's supposed to sound like that. He was there for less than 5 minutes. So I had to trust he knew what he was doing, since he was a GE technician.

The machine sounded so bad that I couldn't do laundry when I was home. It was terribly loud. Well it happened. It leaked all over my floor, causing me to now replace the floors, in my brand new home. Repairman came and looked at the machine, said it will be $1,300 to fix because there are so many things wrong with it. He agrees that the machine was faulty from the start. GE doesn't care. It's out of warranty and it doesn't matter to them. They offered to sell me a new machine, the same one, at a discounted price. I am extremely unhappy with GE. They should stand behind their products. This machine was used for a year and a half. Doing laundry for the first year for one person, a girl. So clearly it's lightly used. I wish GE would do something, replace my washer or pay to have my floors fixed. So angry and upset.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

Do not buy anything from GE. I bought a top load GE washer last year and the electronic control board failed within a year. I got an endless runaround from the company until the retailer finally intervened on my behalf and got it repaired on warranty. That all took weeks, during which my family had to use a commercial laundry. Less than three months later, the control board has failed again in exactly the same way. GE will do nothing about this except offer a small discount on the (obviously faulty) part and charge me for installing it.

What a great racket: sell people defective junk, then charge them over and over for "repairing" it with the same faulty electronics. Quite separately, during the few months it actually worked, it vibrated violently and walked all over the place, in spite of being perfectly level and very carefully loaded to equalize the weight. GE is defrauding the public. If we had anything resembling consumer protection in this country they would be forced out of business.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

I am very dissatisfied with my purchase of GE Top Loading Large Basket Washer... My Washer sounded like an explosion had happened in Spin Cycle! Waiting on Parts... Spent so far at Laundromat 140$ so far! My Washer is only a year old! Don't Buy One Of These Washers!!! I wish I had read the reviews here first! Then I Would Not Own this Washer!!!

GE Washing Machines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The same dedication to quality that GE puts into building products like jet engine turbines and wind towers goes into their washing machines. GE is an American symbol of industry that was ranked the 14th most profitable large firm in the United States and has even had employees that have won Nobel Prizes.

• Washer's with many features in one place: GE washers often offer Energy Star certification, stain removal settings, vibration control and an automatic precision dispensing system, all in one machine.

• Special offers: GE routinely features great deals on washers in its Special Offers section on their website, helping buyers connect with rebates, tax credits and special holiday sales.

• Washers that look great: Besides offering washers that fulfill nearly every customer's desire, GE washers also come in many colors and finishes, all the way from platinum to ruby red.

• Best for: People who want a washer that offers beautiful design, people who are energy conscious, families and professionals.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs