2.6/5 (1596 ratings)

About GE Washing Machines

GE appliances come with a traditional warranty, but the company also offers extended coverage with a Service Protection Advantage plan from Assurant, GE’s authorized provider of extended warranties. The plan covers parts and labor for appliance repairs for an extended period. Customers pick and choose which appliances or systems need to be covered.

GE Washing Machines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

This washer was installed by Home Depot. It worked okay for about a year, after the year passed it began declining. On the second year mark, it completely stopped working. GE offers limited warranty and it’s for a year or less, after that you’re on your own. We paid $107 just for diagnostics, we were then quoted $499 just for the part that needed replacement, after labor our bill was supposed to be at about $700 - $900. Just after 2 years of use. We opted to buy a new one instead of repairing this. A day after we replaced this washer, the matching dryer stopped working. Another expense after two years of owning this brand we are left with nothing and no help from GE.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2022

I purchased a 2022 washer from GE.MODEL#GFW650SPN2SN. Called and a installation person came, he informed me nor unbalanced but defective. Called GE, they sent a service repair person and he informed my motor and a number of other parts were defective. GE answer to this was to repair, to me that means they are going to refurbish my washer. I paid full price, if I would bought refurbished I could have saved a lot of money. Now GE service company is telling me parts are on back order for at least 5 weeks. GE said they were going to search for parts. Should take at least 5 business days. Meanwhile my washer was delivered in June and I am still without a washer. Today is August 15.

My recommendation would be for anyone searching for a washing machine, to look past the bells and whistles and go with another brand. I bought Samsung 4 door refrigerator with all bells and whistles and it works beautiful. I will not, for my own sanity deal with GE again. Dealing with that company is like pulling teeth. Thought I needed to share, maybe save another consumer from the horrible experience I am going though. Good luck consumers, it is a very harsh world out there.

Get buying tips about Washers and Dryers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 29, 2022

I purchased a GE washing less than 2 years ago at Lowe's. GE model #GTW465ASN1WW and have had a repair guy out here twice already. The machine doesn’t spin the clothes completely and they are dripping wet at the end of the cycle. Repair guy today said the control board needs replacing and it could take up to a month to get the part. Two repairs in less than two years. I would highly advise against purchasing this washer. My next washer will NOT be a GE. I would have put this review on GE’s site, but couldn’t find where they have a site for reviews.

Original review: April 16, 2022

Purchased a GE washer dryer combo from Hamai Appliance in Kahului, Maui less than 3 years ago. Light use 2-3 loads a week as it's just my wife and I. Took extreme care to not overload or run unbalanced load. Unit still LOOKS brand new but the motor is shot, repairman says parts and labor will cost as much to repair as replace. Neither GE or Hamai Appliance will make good in any portion of the $1300+ purchase which didn’t even last 3 years. I will never purchase any GE product again or any product from Hamai Appliance in Maui

Original review: Feb. 22, 2022

I have had a full size, front loading washing machine for just over a couple years. We don't use it much as we have two sets in the home. Needless to say, it broke and can't be fixed for less than the cost of a replacement. I have the way GE treated us and will never buy a thing from them again. They are made of cheap parts and break long before they should..

Original review: Feb. 16, 2022

Sorry I cannot recommend. Washer ties sheets in ropes with clothes often inside rope. Agitator holds water which builds mold and rust on bottom bolt. Had one replaced before it was a year old. Have to add more water as recommended levels barely cover clothing. Have to leave top open after use to dry out and buy cleaner to clean washing machine. Never had to do that with my 16 year old machine of another brand. Even with cleaner I get black mold chips or black globs on the clothes. Dryer filter seldom full as everything seems to go to the outside vent. Have to clean the outside vent about once a week. Why?

Original review: Jan. 15, 2022

I want to share my agonizing experience with GE. Here’s my story. I have been without a washer from 12/5/2021 to current. I purchased a new GE washer/dryer GUD24ESSMWW in 6/2021. In 12/2021 the washer stopped working. I contacted GE as the appliance is under manufacturer warranty, GE referred A&E appliance. At the 2nd visit, A&E tech said the motor had to be replaced. I requested for the washer/dryer be replaced but was denied. I considered the appliance to be a lemon.

Three weeks went by, I contacted GE and complained that A&E failed to return my calls and emails. Per GE, my repair was reported as completed. Appalled, I told GE that A&E did not return to replace the motor. GE would not listen to me, to make matters worse, GE said the matter was out of their hands. As the consumer I expected GE to resolve the issue to my satisfaction. On the contrary, the 3rd GE person I spoke to pacified me by arranging an appointment with another vendor.

I did not trust GE so I called the new vendor to confirm the appointment. This vendor was not accepting new repair requests. I sent an email to the email address provided by the GE customer rep. You guessed it, the email returned as undeliverable. If GE was concerned, they would have contacted me. I highly recommend GE management playback the phone calls between customers and their representatives. I am boycotting all GE products, you should too.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2022

I purchased my GE Washer at Hahn Appliance Warehouse in OKC. It has been an extremely disappointing experience all the way around. This thing thumped and bumped so loud I knew something was wrong. After 3 months the balance rods had to be replaced. It still made a lot of noise. Then the balance rods were replaced again. After 1 week the buzzing, ticking and thumping were so loud you could hear it in the street, and the agitator would not turn. The repairman came again and said the bolt had come off the bottom and the motor had chewed itself up to the point it all had to be replaced.

Now I am looking at a 4th week in a row with no washer. GE refused to replace the machine and will only repair it again. This is a 6 month old washer. It was not cheap. I can't do my laundry and I'm sorry, but during covid that's just a health hazard. Please, do yourself a favor and do not buy things from this formerly trustworthy brand. They will not help you.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2022

Bought a 5.2 top loader to do large loads. Will not spin out. Repair guy came out twice and did not know how to fix it. We can only do 1/3 of a load and even then does not usually spin out a load. Have to take out half and spin it out. Terrible investment. Will never buy GE again. Would give negative stars if I could. Buyer beware!

Original review: Dec. 22, 2021

Purchased a front load washer from GE and after 14 months the washer started making incredibly loud banging noises on spin cycle. Called GE and was told they would only send someone out to inspect. Upon inspection- found drum broke and needed replaced. 1700$ in parts quoted, and GE will do nothing to stand behind their product. Very let down. Will never purchase another GE appliance.

GE Washing Machines author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

The same dedication to quality that GE puts into building products like jet engine turbines and wind towers goes into their washing machines. GE is an American symbol of industry that was ranked the 14th most profitable large firm in the United States and has even had employees that have won Nobel Prizes.

• Washer's with many features in one place: GE washers often offer Energy Star certification, stain removal settings, vibration control and an automatic precision dispensing system, all in one machine.

• Special offers: GE routinely features great deals on washers in its Special Offers section on their website, helping buyers connect with rebates, tax credits and special holiday sales.

• Washers that look great: Besides offering washers that fulfill nearly every customer's desire, GE washers also come in many colors and finishes, all the way from platinum to ruby red.

GE Washing Machines Company Information