Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

1132 GE Washing Machines Consumer Reviews

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

In my occupation, I am required to wear uniforms. I wash my uniforms every week. I have had the same uniforms for 6 months. They still look new. They are not dingy. They do not have a "nursing home smell." They smell like fabric soften. I have washed the same uniforms at the laundry mat. The clothes have lint fibers on them. They come out hot alone with acquired stench.

The GE (General Electric) Model # GTWN8250DOWS/ Serial RA17271OG, I have owned for more than 5 years. I have not had any problems. The washing machine have several selection. You can select extra rinse cycle, ecomony wash, and soak cycles. It automatic selects the water level for the amount of clothes in the wash basket. It can become a little noisy doing the rinse cycle. But I can live with it, given the other good qualities of the machine.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Great washer overall. But the problem is with the energy saving low amount of water the washer uses. In order for stains to be removed, I must use a stain remover. The low water level, which is not adjustable, does not move the clothing around enough for a good washing for stained items. I found the items washed didn’t rinse enough, so everything I wash has to have an extra rinse. I do use the proper detergent for these machines and measure accurately. I love the hand wash cycle on this washer and use it regularly. I have had this washer for almost 11 years and have never needed any service. I will buy GE again. I hope the newer washers have improved water levels.

Get expert buying tips about Washers and Dryers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

My old washer was a GE that lasted 35 years until it finally quit. I bought a new GE. It has many features. My old one didn’t plus it’s quieter and spins out great. The clothes are almost dry so it takes less dryer time. I am no fond on the leaking lid because sometimes I use liquid detergent and like to put it in water before adding clothes. Now I add detergent and pour about a gallon of water to dissolve it. Most of the time I use pods. I just hope I get the long lasting service from this one as I did from my old one.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I had a 5 year old expensive Whirlpool model with all the bells and whistles. It got to where it was constantly throwing codes, it was more to fix it than to buy another washer. I chose the GE because it has dial controls and an agitator at a very good price. I have had it for about 8 months and it does the job. I hope I get more than 5 years out of this one, but I spent less than half the price of the old washer I had.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Our GE washer, model #GTW460ASJ6WW, needed repair. They first tried to walk me through re-setting the washer, but that didn't work and it needed to have a technician sent out to repair it. It was one month out of warranty, however, the very nice gentleman on the phone stated that since it was just one month out of warranty, they would send someone out 'no charge'. Some other companies wouldn't have done this one month out of warranty, so I think GE deserves a shout out.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Original review: July 8, 2019

I will never buy a GE appliance again. Bought brand new washer and dryer from Home Depot Nov. 2018. Loud noise in dryer 2 weeks after, GE does not service my area, which I was never told when I purchased them. I had to look for a technician, call GE with part #, they would then send part to me and the tech would have to come back to fix. I could not find a repairman that would do it so after a week of hassle, they said the model # and serial # did not match so I had to take a pic of it and send it to them. Trying to shorten story... hassle for weeks, sent a new dryer. New dryer is okay, but I am now seeing black grease marks on edges of pillow cases, sheets, so I think it's from the dryer. Washer is the worst I have ever had. Model #GTW680BSJWS does not clean the clothes. Very little water and it sprays out so lightly is practically drips out. Clothes after washing often have lint, dog hair, detergent residue on them and wrinkled.

Also, a few times with liquid detergent stains on our t-shirts. I am a clean person, I clean my washer, and follow the directions. Have tried multiple detergents, and all different settings and the clothes come out dingy, dirty, stains are not removed. No agitator and a top load with glass lid so I am able to see how it works. When it agitates, it barely moves the clothes back and forth, and hardly any water. I have tried small loads and large, but it does not matter as even my whites in a small load do not come clean. I have never been so disappointed and I am just stunned at such a poor design. I'm sure nothing will be done, but I just put in a complaint to see if someone can help me. So expensive so I may be stuck with this for a while. Should have stuck with Whirlpool!

Original review: July 5, 2019

Less than 2 years old my GE top load washing machine model GTW330ASK3WW has been causing me to work so hard to balance loads. Many times I've had to remove more than half of an average size load, or wring out water into tub as if its too heavy. It's pretty much been going on for months... reading about 'off balance' issues on YouTube and such. It is ridiculous and not sure if you can reset anything in the smartboard or whatever. The locking mechanism is a safety joke causing unimaginable wasted time and from what I've read, cannot be bypassed as w/ some machines.

At first I thought you just had to figure out this safety/smart machine, and I did with much experience adding more water to loads by turning the cycle knob as if to start load again, or tapping the pause button in different ways.....geez. And I know how to check balance of machine and loads. I have decided the old wringer type washers would be less time and work. Thank goodness I have not had electrical issues as others have noted. I have had all the other issues. Never again GE!

Original review: June 17, 2019

We have had the GE High Efficiency washing machine for just over 1 year (purchased in June 2018). We have had to have it repaired for the same issue (won't finish a cycle) 4 times now. It's a brand new machine and we cannot use it for weeks at a time due to waiting on repair people to look at it. Do NOT buy this machine. It is so frustrating!

Original review: June 12, 2019

Let me just say this pair of washer and dryer that we purchased when we moved into our new home model gfw450ssm1ww / Gfd45essm0ww are terrible quality. Very flimsy construction and both units are very noisy while running. Very disappointed in GE.

Original review: June 7, 2019

Don’t buy this washer. Very disappointed with GE!!! Bought this washer and it started leaking in the second month of purchase. Because it was in warranty the technician fixed it. Started leaking again from the same place after a year and a half. This time with the warranty expired got a quote of more than $700!!! What a rip off by GE!!!

Original review: June 6, 2019

I purchased this washer in 2015 and it has broken down at least once a year since. GE's website says, "At GE appliances we make life better by designing and building the world's best appliances." Please don't believe it. I have one of the worst washers I have ever owned. It would almost be better to beat the clothes on a rock, at least the rock wouldn't break down every year. I have spent enough money at the Laundromat to purchase another washer. If I could have given it a negative number I would have. Totally Dissatisfied Customer in TN.

Original review: May 21, 2019

We bought the GE Front-Loading Washer (GFWR4805F0RR) in October 2014 and it has never worked properly. GE Reps confirmed faulty design chip issue (can't fix) and cycle pause issue (can't fix). The machine cannot balance during spin cycle and keeps resetting itself between 6 to 10 minutes at end of cycle, over and over. Towels come out soaking wet, not damp.

I just had it serviced AGAIN today and the GE tech replaced the Inverter Machine Control Board and drain pump since it was leaking liquid. After he left, I put a load of 5 towels in and 1 hour and 45 minutes later the machine shut itself off and towels still soaking wet. Neither GE, nor Spencer's (place of purchase) will deem this 'non-repairable' and provide me a washer that works. I spent $3,000 for the W/D set and expect more. The dryer (GFDR48SEF7RR) caught fire because of a faulty circuit board. It was smoking. Thank goodness we were home. I have pictures and kept the burnt circuit board as reference. I have four pages of notes of service related calls and discussions. Techs confirmed GE uses cheap parts that won't last and that includes front-loading and top-loading washing machines. Go with the Speed Queen. It's more expensive, but built to last.

Original review: April 29, 2019

Because of space limitations and apartment wiring, I've now had two of the GE space-saving washer/dryer 27" unit in the past two years. I would never choose it again. The dryer of each has after a few months deposited black grease on collar points, the edges of sheets, and tie ribbons of sleepwear. Only dark clothing is safe to place in the dryer. With no sounding bell to alert when the drying cycle is over, clothes often sit forgotten until they require ironing. There is no soaking cycle. I could force one with the first machine by leaving the top open. But the one purchased 6 months ago just fills and then drains if the lid is up.

Original review: April 27, 2019

This washer will cost you a lot more money in the end. First of all it does not clean clothes properly and the rinse will not get rid of the soap. It leaves residue on dark colors. The spin cycle tangles clothes so bad that even after putting in the dryer they still have wrinkles. You will definitely be doing more ironing. Plus the water sucks out from the bottom and it is fraying a lot of the clothes. This is where you will be spending a lot more money buying clothes because it will ruin them. Also if you do blankets or even sheets it becomes unbalanced and will walk itself right out of your laundry room and literally right through the door. If I had to do over this would not be my washer. I have no idea how they can sell a product so poor in quality and ask good money for it. Stay away from it!!!

Original review: April 26, 2019

I've given myself almost six months to try and find things to appreciate with my brand new GE Deep Fill High Efficiency Turbo washing machine, model GTW460ASJ9WW. Unfortunately, I'm at a loss and regret the day I purchased it. Why do I hate it? Let me count the ways!

1. It will not provide enough water to wash anything but a small load of clothes. What was once one super large load for my old GE machine has to be accomplished in three "super" loads for my new machine. Even then, clothes come out of the wash with dirty lint adhering to the folds. The drum is large and roomy causing you to believe it can handle a regular large load. Alas. It is a lie. Even the owner's reference guide claims there are three water levels with the highest showing the water raising to the top of the agitator. Lies. The "Deep Fill" option does little if anything to address the problem.

2. You have to program your cycle upfront and cannot change it midstream without starting the entire cycle over again. My old machine allowed me to easily back-up and repeat one individual cycle of rinse or spin without having to go through the entire wash cycle once again.

3. I know I'm paying extra money for unnecessary bells and whistles. Does one really need your machine to play you a song when it begins the wash cycle and when it ends? How in the world did I figure out my washing machine was starting and ending the wash cycle for the previous 40+ years I've been doing laundry? I know if the computer chip malfunctions, the repair cost for these machines will be stupidly high.

4. It has trouble remaining balanced when washing heavier items like blankets and mattress pads. The machine practically becomes a walking monster, threatening to charge out the door and quit its awful job!

In summary, stay away from this machine. I wish I had my old machine. Grandma's wringer washer worked better than this one!

Original review: April 23, 2019

I don't know who changes everything to make things "better" but this washer, and most brands from what my friends have suggested, are worse than ever. This washer will NOT spin things such as bath rugs or a blanket or other things even on heavy duty or bulky setting. I have had to run several cycles to luck up on one that actually spins so that it isn't so heavy and dripping with water and so heavy that you can't even lift it out of the tub!!! It has happened over and over!!!

I have run several loads, not even a full load, and put the setting on deep fill, and when I pull my clothes out, (which I just did, thus this review that is overdue from the week I first got it 3 yrs. ago and $650) and places on the clothes are as dry as a bone :(. Even deep fill won't wash your clothes. I hate this washer! And if you want to add something, the darn lid locks so you have to pause and wait until it decides to unlock to add. I like to add my powder detergent after the water is in the tub so you have to babysit it until that happens, otherwise the detergent cakes on the side of the tub and there it sits, wash after wash unless by chance the waterline HAPPENS to reach that level. Bottom line.... Do not buy this washer.... You will want your old one back even if it is broken. We had a refrigerator by GE that we bought in 1979 and it lasted for about 25 years and we loved it so much. Wish we had loved this purchase that much.

Original review: April 21, 2019

I purchased the washer and dryer new in 12/2018 and have had nothing but trouble. When you wash anything with sleeves and legs they get all knotted up every time I wash this type of clothing. Due to the low water levels they don't get clean, and have parts of the clothes dry. Have had a service calls and was told only can use "Super" wash level and "Bulky items" settings, so the other functions are useless. It gets off balance many times and moves across the floor. I have another service call scheduled to follow the guidelines of now on to the Consumer Relations Dept. This is the poorest engineered design. The dryer "balls" the clothes up in one lump, like a cocoon. I am fighting for a return of washer and dryer as they both are worthless to me when they don't work properly and I am stuck babysitting them when I use them, just to get through the cycles. VERY DISSATISFIED WITH THESE. DO NOT BUY THEM!!!

Original review: April 11, 2019

Every time I wash the clothing they come out with lint. I try washing them again, with same problem. I have to clean them clothes with a lint roller, after the clothes dry. It is a waste of my time and effort. Plus I have to pay double the water and electricity.

Original review: April 5, 2019

I bought the original washer in 2008, GE has replaced it 5 times. The problem is it rusts. It reminds me of the Automobiles of the 50 and 60s. They used incorrect metal for the appliance and did not finish it with the correct process. Appliances should last 10/12 years according to consumer reports. These start to rust after 1 years and by 2/3 years they are unusable. Rust covering anything in the pedestal. If you buy one make sure you get the extended warranty from a reliable company.

Original review: April 3, 2019

I'm very unhappy with my GE profile washer... I set to heavy loads and it fills up with very little water. The clothes are very wrinkled. I won't buy another GE washer again. I can't afford to buy a new washer.

Original review: April 1, 2019

I have had this washer just over a year. Why you shouldn't buy this model: It takes forever to wash a load. It stops constantly to "check" the water level. It is loud. My home office is right beside the laundry room - has been for years. It is loud for every cycle. The clothes come out a tangled mess. Socks in sleeves and wadded all together. Everything needs ironed. The clothes come out with soap on them. (We put soap in 1st and add extra water.) I can't open the lid without it stopping the washer and having to restart it. It has a musty smell when not in use. I have run vinegar through the lines and empty loads, in 30+ years- I have never smelled stale water from the washer.

Original review: March 31, 2019

My advice to anyone... Do NOT ever, EVER buy a GE washer. It's garbage. I bought a GTW485AJS. It puts almost NO water in the basket, and the agitator cranks on nothing by damp clothing, literally SHREDDING the stuff because there is hardly any water. The "rinse" is just a spin while spraying water. All my older (classic) washers did that too, it's an efficient way to rinse the clothing. But this thing spins the clothes hard against the barrel, then sprays DOWN THE AGITATOR. So all the spray water missed the clothing, and goes down the drain. In other words it's actually WASTING THE WATER.

For 60+ years, washer manufacturers made machines that would rinse correctly. But suddenly GE is loaded with incompetent engineers who can't design a quality unit... After two tears of complaining, and them sending third party service people out to look at it, I gave up. All the third party service people EVER told me was "Yeah, everyone is complaining about these. That's just the way they are."

Original review: March 27, 2019

I bought this washing machine last year and have been miserable with this machine ever since! The worst feature of this machine is that the clothes come out terribly wrinkled! You will have to iron everything including sheets, towels, and clothing. The sheets are so wrinkled beyond belief! Also, the clothes do not get completely wet while being washed and some of the clothes are still partly dry from when you put them in. ALso, when washing towels or sheets, they shift to one side which causes the washer to "walk out" from the wall and you will have to push the washer back against the wall because it has come away from the wall by 2 feet. DO NOT BUY THIS PIECE OF JUNK unless you LOVE to iron!

Original review: March 25, 2019

GTW485ASJ4WS Serial. RH16645G. I bought this product in 2017 at Lowe’s, I bought a two year extended warranty. I did not get this lemon back to Lowe’s in 30 days, my bad, thought extended warranty covered me there, it does not. Lowe's fail to warn me of this detail in VERY FINE PRINT. TRIED TO USE THIS MACHINE 6 times at our cabin, it failed miserably all six times. In essence, use the use the check system of what it is SUPPOSED TO DO, and then check off what it DID NOT DO, WHICH WAS ALL OF THE ABOVE. NOW, this is a HE Machine mind you.

Tried to return this item, but no, I had to have it checked out before I could replace it with another lemon. I did have it checked out, techs said this just the way it worked!!! Which is pure BS WHEN YOU SPEND THAT KIND OF MONEY FOR A TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE appliance. What happened to the old type of machines where it filled with water to cover the clothes, and got them clean, it rinsed all the soap out, it spun your clothes dry. Voila!

So now I am at a crossroad with no really good option. Arrived at a solution, going to Salvation Army and DONATE THIS DAMNED THING, surely the Lord won’t hold it against me since I did not lie about it like GE did to me. I only said I did not like it, and was not going to use it. And that is not a lie. Kudos here is that I have a receipt, and can deduct it off of 2019 tax write off.

FYI BUY A Speed Queen, even if you have to finance it, it will pay you back 10 fold. Washers are guaranteed for 15 years, dryers for 25. I have them in my home. Buy LW 432Sp115Tw01, they changed the way these work in 2019. Dont buy those, you want the 2017 model, for a good reason. THEY WORK and without sensors, old fashioned type.

Original review: March 20, 2019

Just bought GE Washer and dryer last week. The washer is terrible -- so noisy. It is in our laundry room and the noise is terrible.GE tech came out and said they all make this noise. If this was on display on the store it definitely would not sell. It sounds like something is loudly rubbing and will wear something. I ended up purchasing a service contract (which I rarely buy) from the repairman as I thought I would probably need it as this sound seems wearing. I've always been pleased with GE appliances and we have the profile micro, dishwasher and glass top stove but I will never buy GE again as I don't believe this noise is in all their washers as the technician said. Don't buy GE!

Original review: March 17, 2019

I wish I had kept the washer I had before this one. I bought the pair of GE Profile series washer and dryer. I have never had a problem with the dryer but the washing machine is a different story. It sounded like an airplane when it was running from day one. It does not have the regular type agitator. This one is suppose to save on water but NEVER puts enough water to wash the clothes. I always have to add water from a pitcher I keep in the stationary tub in the utility room.

In order to start the washer there is a little button on the panel. You almost need to use your knuckle to push it in to start it. This button had to be replaced twice since I had it. This washer right now sounds like it is dying - my opinion is that it is straining to run because of the low water level it puts in. I want to buy a new washer but the cost of a new decent one has held me back and also this one is rusting out on the top where you put the bleach in. I never had one that did this either. I will not buy another one without the regular agitator - I hope they still have them available. No more GE washers for me.

Original review: March 13, 2019

Beware. I will make this short. Their appliances are defective and horrible 3 months and I’m out of my money. Any type of help from General Electric only "I'm sorry to hear that." 4 technicians came out and just tinkered with it...Today I received a call. Technician called out for the rest of the week... They will call me at a late date to TRY and fix. Save your money and any additional stress we don't need. I CAN’T BELIEVE THEY’RE STILL IN BUSINESS. HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE AND NO TYPE OF WARRANTY... I was better off buying a used washer and dryer at the swap meet.

Original review: March 2, 2019

I bought a GE washer and dryer Agee Montserrat apart. I did not buy extended warranty. I have not bought any extended warranties in the past. I have bought 2 other sets of washers and dryers in 40 yrs no warranties. Some small repairs after 5-6 years Whirlpool products. Had a product over 10 yrs. Approximately a few months after warranty on dryer timer went. Of course nothing would be. It is the most expensive part to replace. $250- not elect not heat up. Washer is great. I can’t believe the repairs will cost 1/2 the price of dryer.

To me this unacceptable. Will never buy GE product again. Very sad. The quality of everything is so poor. Everyone I spoke to said you're forced to buy warranties, nothing is good quality, even much more expensive appliances. I guess I should buy older appliances that will last last for years. Very disappointed! Quality does matter to corporations or customer satisfaction. Only they make more and more money is the bottom line.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

We have a brand new GE washing machine that was installed September 2018. It is Feb 2019 and we are on our SECOND repair call THIS MONTH. 2/1/2018 they sent someone out to repair the machine because it dragged a blanket down into the drain area of the machine. I never knew this was possible but there we were. Of course CS does not care and I have to wait days to get someone out. (Side note, the dryer also had to be repaired at that time for faulty start button).

Now on 2/22/2019 the same washing machine stopped after the wash cycle, failed to continue to rinse and spin and turned off. It was at this time that we discovered a horrible burning smell coming from the machine and that the tub has filled with BLACK water. Yes this means an entire load of clothes has been turned black and is sitting in black water. We unplugged the machine, checked for fires and started our odyssey of trying to get GE to actually care.

Since it is the weekend no one seems to think this is an emergency worth anyone's time or attention. Of course we can get a service call on Monday afternoon - the last available service call for a few weeks BTW. When we owned a Maytag we had service within the day EVEN ON WEEKENDS. We did not choose GE. They came with a new home we had built. And I think I can say that I do not think I will ever buy GE products again and may even set this one by the curb with "Ask me about my GE washing machine" on it and buy something else.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

We purchased our new top load GE Washer just over 2 years ago. The drum appears to have detached and spun crazily within the machine during the spin cycle. Result is a totally wrecked machine, the entire frame is bent, and the top will not open without forced effort. The front and side of the machine were dented from the inside out. Calls to GE were completely unproductive. As soon as they found out there was not an "extended warranty", they didn't seem to care. Final result. We're shopping for a new washer - but this one, and all future purchases, will never again be GE. Buyer beware of this model.

GE Washing Machines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The same dedication to quality that GE puts into building products like jet engine turbines and wind towers goes into their washing machines. GE is an American symbol of industry that was ranked the 14th most profitable large firm in the United States and has even had employees that have won Nobel Prizes.

• Washer's with many features in one place: GE washers often offer Energy Star certification, stain removal settings, vibration control and an automatic precision dispensing system, all in one machine.

• Special offers: GE routinely features great deals on washers in its Special Offers section on their website, helping buyers connect with rebates, tax credits and special holiday sales.

• Washers that look great: Besides offering washers that fulfill nearly every customer's desire, GE washers also come in many colors and finishes, all the way from platinum to ruby red.

• Best for: People who want a washer that offers beautiful design, people who are energy conscious, families and professionals.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs