Save on Appliance Repairs

Save on Appliance Repairs

With the Best Home Warranty

Compare Quotes

1112 GE Washing Machines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 17, 2019

I wish I had kept the washer I had before this one. I bought the pair of GE Profile series washer and dryer. I have never had a problem with the dryer but the washing machine is a different story. It sounded like an airplane when it was running from day one. It does not have the regular type agitator. This one is suppose to save on water but NEVER puts enough water to wash the clothes. I always have to add water from a pitcher I keep in the stationary tub in the utility room.

In order to start the washer there is a little button on the panel. You almost need to use your knuckle to push it in to start it. This button had to be replaced twice since I had it. This washer right now sounds like it is dying - my opinion is that it is straining to run because of the low water level it puts in. I want to buy a new washer but the cost of a new decent one has held me back and also this one is rusting out on the top where you put the bleach in. I never had one that did this either. I will not buy another one without the regular agitator - I hope they still have them available. No more GE washers for me.

Original review: March 13, 2019

Beware. I will make this short. Their appliances are defective and horrible 3 months and I’m out of my money. Any type of help from General Electric only "I'm sorry to hear that." 4 technicians came out and just tinkered with it...Today I received a call. Technician called out for the rest of the week... They will call me at a late date to TRY and fix. Save your money and any additional stress we don't need. I CAN’T BELIEVE THEY’RE STILL IN BUSINESS. HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE AND NO TYPE OF WARRANTY... I was better off buying a used washer and dryer at the swap meet.

Get expert buying tips about Washers and Dryers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 2, 2019

I bought a GE washer and dryer Agee Montserrat apart. I did not buy extended warranty. I have not bought any extended warranties in the past. I have bought 2 other sets of washers and dryers in 40 yrs no warranties. Some small repairs after 5-6 years Whirlpool products. Had a product over 10 yrs. Approximately a few months after warranty on dryer timer went. Of course nothing would be. It is the most expensive part to replace. $250- not elect not heat up. Washer is great. I can’t believe the repairs will cost 1/2 the price of dryer.

To me this unacceptable. Will never buy GE product again. Very sad. The quality of everything is so poor. Everyone I spoke to said you're forced to buy warranties, nothing is good quality, even much more expensive appliances. I guess I should buy older appliances that will last last for years. Very disappointed! Quality does matter to corporations or customer satisfaction. Only they make more and more money is the bottom line.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

We have a brand new GE washing machine that was installed September 2018. It is Feb 2019 and we are on our SECOND repair call THIS MONTH. 2/1/2018 they sent someone out to repair the machine because it dragged a blanket down into the drain area of the machine. I never knew this was possible but there we were. Of course CS does not care and I have to wait days to get someone out. (Side note, the dryer also had to be repaired at that time for faulty start button).

Now on 2/22/2019 the same washing machine stopped after the wash cycle, failed to continue to rinse and spin and turned off. It was at this time that we discovered a horrible burning smell coming from the machine and that the tub has filled with BLACK water. Yes this means an entire load of clothes has been turned black and is sitting in black water. We unplugged the machine, checked for fires and started our odyssey of trying to get GE to actually care.

Since it is the weekend no one seems to think this is an emergency worth anyone's time or attention. Of course we can get a service call on Monday afternoon - the last available service call for a few weeks BTW. When we owned a Maytag we had service within the day EVEN ON WEEKENDS. We did not choose GE. They came with a new home we had built. And I think I can say that I do not think I will ever buy GE products again and may even set this one by the curb with "Ask me about my GE washing machine" on it and buy something else.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

We purchased our new top load GE Washer just over 2 years ago. The drum appears to have detached and spun crazily within the machine during the spin cycle. Result is a totally wrecked machine, the entire frame is bent, and the top will not open without forced effort. The front and side of the machine were dented from the inside out. Calls to GE were completely unproductive. As soon as they found out there was not an "extended warranty", they didn't seem to care. Final result. We're shopping for a new washer - but this one, and all future purchases, will never again be GE. Buyer beware of this model.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

Bought new washer. In 3 months the motor went out. Called GE. They sent repair tech out. Took a week only to tell us gearbox was bad. Had to order parts. That was another week so 2 weeks of going to laundromat. 1 month later quit again. Called GE. Sent out repair tech again another week just to tell us the motor was bad. Order parts another week so 2 weeks again going to laundromat. Lasted 1 month again. Now pump won't pump out water so called GE. Demanded new washer. They refused. Said they could only repair it so in 5 months having new washer we've been 6 weeks without it and going to laundromat spending more money 'cause GE would rather spend great deal of money in repair costs and labor.

WE WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER GE PRODUCT EVER!!! Not just because we got a lemon in this appliance but because of GE poor customer service and lack of responsibility. Not to mention the hours on hours of time spent on the phone with them and their automated system like we have nothing better to do than sit on the phone and listen to them say, "We are sorry."

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

In my occupation, I am required to wear uniforms. I wash my uniforms every week. I have had the same uniforms for 6 months. They still look new. They are not dingy. They do not have a "nursing home smell." They smell like fabric soften. I have washed the same uniforms at the laundry mat. The clothes have lint fibers on them. They come out hot alone with acquired stench.

The GE (General Electric) Model # GTWN8250DOWS/ Serial RA17271OG, I have owned for more than 5 years. I have not had any problems. The washing machine have several selection. You can select extra rinse cycle, ecomony wash, and soak cycles. It automatic selects the water level for the amount of clothes in the wash basket. It can become a little noisy doing the rinse cycle. But I can live with it, given the other good qualities of the machine.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Great washer overall. But the problem is with the energy saving low amount of water the washer uses. In order for stains to be removed, I must use a stain remover. The low water level, which is not adjustable, does not move the clothing around enough for a good washing for stained items. I found the items washed didn’t rinse enough, so everything I wash has to have an extra rinse. I do use the proper detergent for these machines and measure accurately. I love the hand wash cycle on this washer and use it regularly. I have had this washer for almost 11 years and have never needed any service. I will buy GE again. I hope the newer washers have improved water levels.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

The washer won't even fill half full. Leaves detergent residue in the clothes and makes me have a rash. Not enough water to properly clean the laundry. GE technician came to my home. He confirmed that it will not fill properly, and he stated that since the washer fill only half full, that I should use half the normal amount of detergent. He had no remedy other than that.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

Does not do spin cycle about 50% of the time. Go thru reset combo and it will work for 1-2 wash cycles. We have had repair from 2 different vendors and they just do the reset and say that is all they can do. I looked up how to reset online but you never know when or if it will work. Also, it just started 1 time and would not shut off. Unplugged and plugged back in and it would start again. Left it unplugged for a couple of hours and it work correctly again.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

I will NEVER buy another GE washer. My mother, my daughter, a family friend and I ALL had the same horrific experience. The washer will fill, and fill, and fill until it overflows. You must push dial in to stop the flow of water then manually turn dial to rinse/spin and pray for the water to drain. Then you have to open the top/faceplate/control panel where there is a clear tube on the left. Unhook tube, BLOW into tube and it might work if you start a new wash cycle. Call GE to order the part connected to tube because that’s what’s bad, they REFUSE to help. Want to send a tech at $90 per hour. Won’t tell you part number. Won’t stand behind warranty.

Mine didn’t even last a year, my mother and daughter each started having problems at about the 14-month mark. Mind you, they each are single, live alone and do maybe two loads per week. My friend’s washer was 12 months old. I warn everyone of our experience. The floor under my washer had to be ripped up and replaced. What a nightmare. I have ALWAYS bought GE because being a major brand I assumed they would stand behind their appliances. Not true. Four washers ended up in the landfill/junkyard while they were still practically new.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

Makes a lot of noise. Noise I never heard on any other washing machine' sounds like it's starting and stopping. Skips cyles, and then you have to go back and start over again. Unable to stop, once you start, without starting over. It's only 2 years old.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I purchased a GE washer and drying from Home Depot only a couple of months ago, and I've already had so many issues with both. I had the washer replaced three times, because it did not work or came damaged. Now literally a couple of months later, the drying has stopped working. I called Home Depot, who got in contact with GE themselves somehow (because I was never able to get anyone on the phone using their 800 #) and scheduled to have a technician come in. The technician was very rude and had zero customer service skills or etiquette for that matter. As I tried asking questions about the condition of my dryer, I was having a conversation with the back of his head the entire time.

Before he walked out of my house and barely stated something about me having to wait for some part to be ordered, and then schedule for another technician to come at a later date to fix the dryer. Now I have to yet again deal with the inconvenience of having to drag bags of laundry to a public laundromat in the interim. They also claimed to have the part available and not on backordered or anything. However, they can't even expedite the service to my dryer so that I don't have to further go through any more inconvenience. I'm disgusted by the quality of their products and their lack of care for their customers. Therefore, I will NEVER purchase another GE appliance. I refuse to give this horrible company another penny of my money!!!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

We first had the top load Samsung without an agitator. The Samsung took an extremely long to wash and did a poor job. That washer was recalled for burning up so we purchased a GE top loader with an agitator. The less expensive GE machine cleans much better, but needs to be watched the whole time that the machine is running. This machine is definitely not insulated. This machine also seems to have a huge problem with the loads being unbalanced and when that occurs the machine makes VERY LOUD BANGING NOISES and literally walks across the floor.

The Samsung never became unbalanced. Dollar for dollar, I prefer clean clothes for a lower priced machine so I put up with the banging and adjust the loads. Each store that we went to also all had the same life for the new machines being 5-7 years. I do not buy the absolute cheapest model, but I refuse to pay the many thousands of dollars for the high-end machines with the bells and whistles. We were also told that it is smart to buy the insurance. Our last fridge only lasted 4 1/2 years.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

My old washer was a GE that lasted 35 years until it finally quit. I bought a new GE. It has many features. My old one didn’t plus it’s quieter and spins out great. The clothes are almost dry so it takes less dryer time. I am no fond on the leaking lid because sometimes I use liquid detergent and like to put it in water before adding clothes. Now I add detergent and pour about a gallon of water to dissolve it. Most of the time I use pods. I just hope I get the long lasting service from this one as I did from my old one.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I bought this from a local second-hand appliance store about 6 years ago. Have had 2 service calls which were not expensive. This is an upright washer and as long as I clean the basket every few months, performs very well.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

The GE Spacemaker stackable washer/dryer is the worst w/d I have ever had. The washer does an awful job at cleaning my clothes and the dryer isn't much better. Definitely run as fast as you can from these.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

We have had service on this less than 4-year-old dryer at least 4 times, three for the same issue. I hate it and will never recommend this brand to anyone. Our Amana washer is over 20 years old and we have had to service only once.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I have an older model, I like the fact you can leave it open and have water filling tank while adding clothes. I prefer to add water with the detergent first, then add clothes. It washes well, is quiet.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

The washing machine is very loud and can be heard outside. I have to use the large cycle setting on every wash because the other settings do not have enough water. It’s like either large load or extra small load. And there’s no auto dispense for fabric softener which is a hassle. Worse decision ever made to have this washing machine.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

Does not clean clothes; leaves stains so I re-wash multiple times; broke down twice within first month; bought at Home Depot; no returns! Thank goodness we bought the service plan! Do not buy this washer. Disappointing that it is shoddy American made.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

All the dial choices make you think you’ll have choices for the amount of water for your load. NOT! With all settings - except “Bulky” the machine fills with 4 to 6 inches of water. With “Bulky” it fills almost to the top. So... conserving water is a laugh - unless you only wash a couple items - in 4 inches of water. The only “go around” I’ve found is to start with the “Bulky” setting, stand & wait ‘til it fills to desired level then pause machine, change to any other setting, then I un-pause, it’ll wash at that level. Then - during the rinse cycle- do the same - pause - switch to “Bulky” wait for desired water level to fill - pause- switch to another cycle - un-pause. How convenient is that!

This is not a great machine for anyone washing more than some socks & shirts. If the idea is to save water- then they’re fooling no-one- extra loads to complete your laundry or completely filling the machine each time is not efficient - for the user anyway. The one positive feature I can offer is it spins dry the clothes very well - not using the dryer for very long - that’s a plus.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

Clothes come out all tangled and some inside out. Others I find socks or underwear in sleeves. Darks will come out with white silt on them even though they have been rinsed twice. Wish I had the old fashioned agitator machine that washed clothes clean. My old GE did a much better job. I am 90 years old so have had a lot of different brands of washers. Cost of this one was about 700 on sale.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

We bought a GE washer and a GE dryer in April 2015. Both stopped working beyond repair by February 2018 and had to be replaced. The lifespan was less than three years for both. The GE repairman only came to our area once a week and was booked three weeks out. Therefore, each time a machine broke, it took us three weeks to find out that the cost to repair it was about the same value as buying a new one which is what we did.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

Washer is supposed to service very large loads, but because the drum is so wide, not enough water fills to do those. Other than that, does a good job cleaning even on 'light.' Spins clothes quite dry so the dryer can dry most things in 20 min.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

Absolutely the worst washing machine I have ever purchased. Continually went out of balance on loads that were not overloaded ie (four towels). Complained to GE two or three times. They finally sent some rubber pads to install under washer feet to help keep washer from dancing across floor. They advised they had designed the washers to spin at 800 revolutions per minute instead of 400 as their method of spinning more water out of clothes. This increase in the RPMs is primarily responsible for the problem. Prior to this purchase I had never even contacted a Washer Mfg for any problems. Their solution (the pads) although helpful have not prevented the problem. Very poor engineering as well as customer service. Keep in mind I am 70 years old and have had at least six or seven other washers in the last 50 years. This is like Goodyear deciding an oval tire would be a great idea.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

GE Washing Machine Model GTW485ASJ1WS. Machine broke down 3 times in 2 years & its broken down again. This machine is nothing but trouble. Too much hi-tech for a washer. If you need a computer to inform you that your washer isn't working and after you figure out the code {or call GE} the message is call a repairman? The repairman informs you cost of repair is around $300.00. And if doesn't get her going of course they would be extra fees for any more parts plus labor. And he also informs me that is fee for 2-day is $100.00. Remember the machine has broken down 3 times before and its new replacement cost is under $600.00 Now you must decide. I can't express myself online what come out of my mouth. No matter what you decide I wish you good luck. Cause no one should have to go thru this.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

Cleans very well. I only use the deep fill option on the washer. The dryer works great on any setting. The washer spins the water out better than any that I have ever seen. Purchased on sale at Home Depot. Excellent value for the money.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

It is new, working well, washes nicely, can soak to get put stains. It is bought on lease. I recommend trying to lease over time. It has a deep rinse so clothes are fresh and not stained with softener.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Great washer and dryer. My wife did not want to buy a front loading washer with bad reviews but you have to clean the front washer out about once a month and she finally figured out the reviews was not reliable when our stackable washer went out. That is why we bought the front loader because they are stackable.

GE Washing Machines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The same dedication to quality that GE puts into building products like jet engine turbines and wind towers goes into their washing machines. GE is an American symbol of industry that was ranked the 14th most profitable large firm in the United States and has even had employees that have won Nobel Prizes.

• Washer's with many features in one place: GE washers often offer Energy Star certification, stain removal settings, vibration control and an automatic precision dispensing system, all in one machine.

• Special offers: GE routinely features great deals on washers in its Special Offers section on their website, helping buyers connect with rebates, tax credits and special holiday sales.

• Washers that look great: Besides offering washers that fulfill nearly every customer's desire, GE washers also come in many colors and finishes, all the way from platinum to ruby red.

• Best for: People who want a washer that offers beautiful design, people who are energy conscious, families and professionals.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs