GE Washing Machines

Compare Washers and Dryers

Research top Washers and Dryers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Washer bangs and walks across room. They have been out 4 times so far. Replace drum. Still banging. They say they will keep coming out til warranty expires. So I have to be here every time. How many times should I have to do this before they just replace it.

GE Dryer Model DCVH480EK0WW - When drying clothes the dryer just wads them in a big wad if there is more than 2-3 items. Forget sheets. They just ball up in a big ball and are wet on the inside of the ball. The dryer keeps items wadded together and causes extra wrinkles. The clothes take FOREVER to dry as well even when drying a standard load from the matching washer. Do yourself a favor. Don't purchase this dryer.

This the worse product I have ever purchased. I wish I had taken the time to read the reviews before spending so much money. The prior reviews have said it all. Shame on GE. So sad that the consumer is held hostage to the manufacturer as well as the retailer, Lowe's. No one cares. I have been telling everyone I know and some I do not. Lowe's replaced another machine, a GE, not the same style, after much agitation, with this one which I chose. This review is on the G006. Torn clothes and expensive sheets. Clothes that smell after washing. I cannot afford it!!!

Bought GE washer mod. GTW460ASJ4WW 11/22/16. It quit running 7 months later. This machine will not let you wash the way you want to. It takes forever to do a small load. The water levels are a joke. Too many dials and settings. What happened to just load size, water temp, and wash cycle, keep it SIMPLE! We called GE for a warranty repair. That took almost a week to have them look at it. So far we have waited 3 weeks for the parts that they think they need. Meantime bought a older used Amana that has 3 dials and works great. We will never buy another GE appliance. The products are junk and the warranty service is terrible. I bet that the people who design these washers have never had to do laundry for a family. They don't a have a clue. Why would you need a washer with a computer?

What a lot of folks seem to not understand is that buying a different brand washer will not solve the problems. The root of the problem is (1) The EPA regulations and government bureaucracy will not allow any manufacturer to make a washer that washes clothes properly, (2) There are only a scant few actual manufacturers of appliances, most are made by the same companies with different names, (3) We are sold on the idea of "features" and electronics on appliances - (and vehicles - but don't get me started there) that we do not really need and cause us nothing but trouble and expense, and (4) The manufacturers have sunk so much money in research and development to attempt to make a functioning washer that will meet government regs that the actual materials put into building them is cheap. I have been there, done that with electronic front load Kenmore (made by Whirlpool).

As stated by someone else, I would not spend my money on any new washer except maybe a Speed Queen, not sure how badly the new ones are affected by government rules, though. I solved my problem by picking up good working 15-25 year old basic top-loader washers. I can usually fix them myself, and parts seem to still be readily available. Used to be, you went to Sears, bought a new top-load basic washer, it lasted trouble-free for 10-15 years, maybe longer, when it broke, you went back to Sears, bought another that lasted 10-15 years, repeat. Now you pay $1000.00 or more for one, lucky if it lasts a year with no problems.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

After two and a half years of owning a GE Washer, my second one because I listen to my husband. The first one had issues. The second one has a broken mode shifter. Repairman was out today and quoted more money than I wanted to spend to fix it. However, I will not ever recommend a GE Washer and even the repairman said, "Steer clear away from this brand". My problem first started with a loud grinding type noise and the drum was not spinning. This is very disappointing to spend this much money for two and a half years of use, GE needs to do something to better their appliances instead of sell junk to consumers.

DO NOT BUY! Top load GE washer with no agitator. This is the worst design ever. Clothes do not get clean, in fact half the clothes on top are still dry never even get wet. Everything is all in knots no matter what size the load is. The clothes end up in one side of the washer and it shakes like Elvis Presley. It also walks across the room. In order to get clean clothes I have it set to deep fill every time and add an extra spend every time. I cannot leave my home if I have a load of clothes in the washer. I am so disappointed. This is the first new washer I have had in many years!!!

Do not buy GE products because I am in the maintenance field and our company bought all GE appliances and we have an astronomical amount of these cheap made appliances that don't last as long as the warranty carries out and it cost a ton in parts and time consumed in just trying to have a working appliance. This company has shamed America and should be a lawsuit on them for fraud due to the sale of overpriced products made to not last. Parts are cheaply made and price is outrageous to replace or fix. Shame on GE, they have sold out America!!!

Purchased machine on 6/15/2015. In December, 2016, the machine made a very loud whining sound, then stopped working. It would not even turn on! The resulting repair was to replace the motherboard and another repair to the pump. I was without the machine for 2 weeks. This repair cost me half of the cost of the machine. I paid it, because when this machine works, it cleans very well, and has lots of options. Six months later, June, 2017, the machine fails again. Again, it lets out a loud whining noise, and the basket will not rotate. It was diagnosed today as either the motor, or a board that controls the motor. The replacement part/s will take another week to arrive! I signed up for an extended warranty program after the first repair, but using this extended warranty makes the repair take so much longer! I now hate this washing machine!

Top Line GE Monogram Clothes Washer is Practically Useless. For 2 years I've been thinking. I'm washing clothes in this machine but nothing ever smelled clean and clothes looked older with each wash. Yesterday I pulled up a stool, washed clothes all day and watched everything the machine did and didn't do. The water level doesn't cover the clothes and during the wash cycle it just slowly moves clothes back and forth across a plastic arm at the bottom of the tub which just rubs the same spot on each garment. This rubbing is not sufficient to actually clean the entire item and the soapy water doesn't penetrate through the entire garment. It spends more actual time "Sensing" and "Filling" and "Spinning" than it does washing.

I tricked it into filling over the tops of clothes but the swishing action was still slow and meager like wringer machines from the 1940's. Today I just tried to wash a thin, washable comforter and the machine simply filled with water (Using my trick), "Sensed" and right away proceeded to empty! It didn't even try to swish and wash even though it was on a "Comforter" setting. It "Rinsed" the same way (Twice) and I realize now that for anything except t-shirts and shorts, I'll need to wash by hand or continue to just wet clothes, leave accumulated soap still in the fabric and call it clean. I had a Kenmore with an up and down chugging action for 30 years and it was far better than this expensive tank. I realize the GE appliances are all pretty much deemed trash by the consumers which says a lot about today's engineers. I wish I had my old Kenmore back from Goodwill!

Didn't seem to care. Yes I have had GE top load big basket washer for over 1 yr and 3 services. Basket is out of sync with computer. They even put a bracket in it to control basket. No luck and still out of sync with computer. 1 load takes 1 1\2 hrs, when machines says time should be 60 mins. Totally disgusted. It is out of warranty with GE. But I bought extended warranty from Sears for 2 yrs. So now Sears has to come and service it and GE didn't seem to care. I am contacting Better Business Bureau next. I hate these new washers. Wish I had my old one that ran a cycle in 1\2 hr.

I was under the impression that GE was reputable company and that they manufactured solid products. As a result I purchased a GE stainless steel dishwasher, front load right height dryer (last month) and front load right height washing machine (2 yrs. ago). Last week my washing machine started making a sound that definitely indicated something had gone south. Sounded like a bad bearing type of noise. I called a local appliance repair guy and he took a look. He said he had bad news and really bad news (never a good scenario). Bad News - He said that a bearing had in fact gone bad. Really Bad News - It was going to cost almost as much to fix as it would be to buy a new washer. I spent $1399 for this washer from Home Depot. I was excited to get it and felt it would be a solid machine that would last years. WRONG!!! You would think a washer of this so called "caliber" would last longer than 2 yrs.

Regardless, I was positive GE would realize that this was an unacceptable result and thus certainly stand behind their product. I was wrong again... When I finally got in touch with someone from GE - don't even get me started on how frustrating that was. It's almost impossible to get through the maze of GE-CARES numbers etc. And when I finally did through to someone they could've cared less!!! In all of the frustration of not having a functioning washer it was the attitude of GE that was the kicker. And to think I purchased 3 high dollar appliances from this company. I think it's safe to say, my next purchase is NOT going to be a GE appliance!! I knew I should have gone with MAYTAG washer and dryer!!!

I recently purchased a GE Hotpoint Washing Machine HTW200ASKOWW Serial Number: RG162585H at Lowe's. We were looking at a Samsung Front Load but the salesman said that this machine wasn't any good because of a supposed fire risk. I'm not sure which is worse... allowing him to influence our purchase or the fact that we were stupid enough to buy it!!! We have had nothing but trouble with it. EVERY LOAD ends up leaving a white residue on the clothes that is next to impossible to remove.

At first I thought that it was caused by having towels in with other clothes but we separated them, making sure that there wasn't anything that would leave lint. Since I am writing this it obviously didn't work. I went online and read the different suggestions to prevent the residue... Again still writing, Didn't work. The other problem is that it doesn't wring the clothes out. There was so much water on the clothes that I was literally able to wring water out of them by hand. We had a Maytag Front Load that lasted for almost 20 years. We paid a good bit for it (at the time) but it was absolutely worth it!!! If this stops even 1 person from making the same mistake that we did when we bought this GE then it was well worth the time spent writing it!!!

We bought the washing machine in April 2012. The circuit board was replaced in 2015 and 2016--the unit was still under warranty. The warranty expired in April. Guess what? The circuit board is malfunctioning AGAIN! Of course, since it is conveniently out of warranty, no "lemon law" applies to it. I will have to pay to replace the circuit board--which may last another year if I'm lucky.

We purchased our GE top loading high efficiency washer from our local Sears one year ago on May 31, 2016. This is the worst washer EVER. Doesn't get your items clean. Doesn't stay balanced. Sheets come out all knotted up. Can't get enough water. A small load gives you 4" of water, a med load gives you 4-1/2" of water, a large load gives you 5" of water and a super size load gives you 6" of water. Seriously. And this is a washer with an extra deep tub? What's the point of an extra deep tub when you can only get 6" of water? I paid $539 for the washer and an additional $169 for a 3-yr warranty through Sears. Never buy a warranty through Sears, but that's a whole other story.

So, we've got $813 w/ tax, wrapped up in this washer. We have a water softener, our hot water tank is turned up much higher than normal, and I use good detergent, so there's no good reason this washer won't clean our laundry. But ALL of our laundry stinks... clothing, towels, bedding, you name it, it stinks. It doesn't even feel clean... it feels just slightly greasy. My guess is it doesn't get all of the detergent out. Anyway, in the first year of ownership, the Sears repair tech has been here 6 times. GE has sent someone out here twice. I keep telling them I don't want the washer... it's the design of the machine that's no damn good.

Here's how it works: I set the washer on a super size load, on hot water, with a 2 hour soak, and I use the heavy whites cycle because that's the longest running cycle on that machine, and I set it on a deep rinse or a second rinse and start the washer. Add detergent and put the clothes in. It twists the clothes around for a few minutes, and stops, so it can sit through the 2 hour soak. When 2 hours is up, the machine starts washing. It gets through the cycle and shuts off. Throw your clothes in the dryer, and when they're dry, you hang them up. Oops, that shirt is stained.. .pre-treat it and set it aside. Oops, another stain. Pre-treat it and set it aside. Fold some socks, etc. Oops, another stained shirt. Pre-treat it and set it aside. Nearly every single time I wash. So, I virtually have this pile of stained laundry that I have to re-wash. And usually re-wash for the third time.

Just how efficient is a washer when you are doing your laundry over and over and over and over?? Sears will not stand behind this machine. The only thing GE will do is replace the machine, so since we paid for it on a credit card, I called the credit card company. They said the machine is a year old so they can't do anything about this particular machine, but if I let GE replace it with a new machine, they might be able to do something about it. So, that's the next step.

If the credit card company cannot get our $813 back so I can go elsewhere and buy a NON HIGH EFFICIENCY machine, I'll haul the washer out to be junked and chalk it up to a lesson learned. Never shop at a Sears (not hard to figure out why Sears are closing all over the place), never buy a Sears warranty because they're worthless, and NEVER buy a GE appliance. I cannot believe that two companies as well known as Sears and GE have turned their back on customers this way. Shame on them.

I bought the washer and dry machine on December 2016 on Lowe's. On the first month I had problems I think was normal because I change from different brand and system. I call to Lowe's because was a month old. They did not help me and for almost 2 months still had problems again - just stopped working, wouldn't fill or finish the cycle, make noise, lock in lock, it's so crazy. I read the reviews and is the same problem. I recommend to the company General Electric replace the whole washers. I'm not interesting had those problems again.

We purchased this stacked washer dryer unit (GUD27ESSJ0WW) as a result of needing to accommodate a tight space in our laundry room. We needed to have the washing machine serviced within the first year of owning it due to motor issues. Although, we like the size, we would have hoped for more durability out of this machine than we have received. It is now, just out of warranty, and stopped working but then came back on a week later. Have not had much luck with appliances purchased within the last two years.

I purchased a Top Load GE washer in Nov 2016. It is now May and it has been dead for the past four weeks. Three weeks for a repairman to arrive with a broken part. Two more days for a different repairman to 'fix' it. Put a load of laundry. Washer lasted long enough to soak clothes and quit yet again. 100% do NOT recommend purchasing a GE product. Customer service is extremely poor.

I bought an electric dryer 7/4/16 from Lowe's along with a 3 year extended warranty for it. I've had it for 10 months and it completely quit working. It will not do anything. My husband checked our house breakers along with the electrical outlet it was plugged in to, nothing wrong there. I still have the receipt with the number on it to call for the warranty.

I called on 5/12/17, to be told that it takes 3 business days to process claims but that since it was less than a year old it would be a manufacturer warranty. They would have to contact GE. I was told to call back on Monday since this was on a Friday. I called back on Monday and they told me they couldn't tell me anything because the 3 business days wouldn't be up until Wednesday because Friday isn't counted as a business day. Not sure why not!?! I asked them for the number for GE to call them directly.

I called GE on Wednesday and they told me there weren't any service techs in our area but they had 48 hours to look for one. I was told they referred it to a service subcontractor by the name of Service Power to try and find a service tech. I called Service Power and they said they had no request from GE to find a service tech for our area and that I am not supposed to contact them. It is supposed to come from GE. I called GE back and was told that it showed I had a service call on 5/16/17. I was home all day and nobody came to my house, let alone call me to set anything up. Not sure how they could show I had a service call when Service Power was the subcontractor and Service Power said they had no referral for it? I asked GE that since there was not a service tech in our area to replace it. I was informed that was not possible until I called and talked to their customer relations dept and they were not open on the weekends.

So now I am having to wait until Monday to talk to GE customer relations for I'm sure another run around. I have gotten the run around from GE, Lowe's extended warranty program company and Service Power with which no one knows what the other is doing. Nobody can give me an answer on when a service tech can come out or when it will be replaced. I will NEVER buy another GE product again. This is ridiculous!

I made the mistake of purchasing and washer WHRE5550K2WW. This piece of garbage stopped the agitation and spin cycles. After trying to fix it based on the VOLUME of negative reviews we realized that clearly GE feels we are all rich and can afford to throw away $600. PLUS the service fees of a technician to tell us it will cost more to repair than replace. GE - Happy to share your poor quality across social media. Your products and quality have caused me to never recommend or buy from you again.

This washer failed to work reliably from day one. The electronics are faulty - sometimes it works, other times it won't. When it does work, it shakes violently and walks all over the place, no matter how carefully I balance the load. GE won't give any advice over the phone and will charge $110 to just come out and look at it. What a disgraceful company. Never again.

My mother just purchased a top load GE Washer from JC Penney's. She started her first load of wash and the machine was bouncing all over the place. We thought maybe too many clothes but that wasn't the problem. Nothing we have done with stop this machine from vibrating and moving around. We went to JC Penney's and they sent out a tech. He said it's level and will send out a new machine. We filled this machine up (no clothes) and switched the machine to "drain and spin". Remember there are NO clothes in this washer and this machine was vibrating and shaking her floor so bad we thought it would fly out of the laundry room. If this next machine does not work out we're going back to JC Penney's and telling them to come and get this JUNK. My poor mom is 89 years old and just wants to wash clothes!!!

I bought a GE washer the same model I had before in a year. It has broke 3 time. The control panel and the spindle in the middle keeps eating my shirt towels, etc. spreading my clothes. I'm fed up and they are not help. The machine is a defect and they keep repairing a machine that is a piece of **... I'm tired of it eating my good clothes.

I purchased a GE front loading washer from Sears in Oct '15. In Jan '16 it stopped working (wouldn't fill or finish cycle, just lock and unlock door). Called Sears, they came and fixed it. About 4 months go by, and AGAIN, it has the same problem; this time I called GE. They sent a repairman out, they had to order parts, came back a few days later fixed it. End of Aug early Sep '16 it had the SAME DAMN PROBLEM, called GE again, they came out and had to order parts, few days later fixed it. Jan '17 SAME DAMN PROBLEM called, they gave me a letter of commitment came out, ordered parts, fixed about a week later. Now, here we are, May 1st 2017 and I'm having, yup, THE SAME DAMN PROBLEM!

Contacted them again today, brought up how many times they've come out for the SAME problem and the girl, Valencia, said there was no record of my previous problems until Jan of this year! UTTER B.S. They are sending someone out again tomorrow. I WILL NEVER, EVER BUY A GE APPLIANCE AGAIN AND WILL TELL EVERYONE I KNOW TO NEVER BUY FROM THEM EITHER! In my opinion they should have replaced the whole damn washer instead of constantly wasting my time.

Washing machine has had 4 repairs in the time we have owned it. The machine is noisy, does not get clothes clean, tears sheets, towels, shirts, shorts and this are his quality garments. Machine vibrates and "walks" away from wall. We are a family of two in our early 60's. Not tough on clothes. I have just purchased another machine and am donating this one. It really is a disappointment. Shame on GE.

My last two washing machines & dryers have been made by GE. I have had trouble with knobs on dryers & washing machine timer, compression ring, & knob on both washing machines. Both washers are top load bought at Lowe's. I thought maybe there had been recall on washers so I visited Lowe's. The person gave me their parts store card. Boy that was a mistake. One knob cost me nearly $9 plus $7 shipping & took over a week to get. Found out later the timer & compression ring were also bad. I happened to think this was same thing I fixed on other GE washer. Where the slots in knob & timer meet are plastic & they crack out. I called GE parts this time & got a price. I thought the price sounded high so I went online & bought the same new part for about 1/2 of what GE asked for it. GE sells a piece of junk & then wants you to pay an inflated price for the defective part. I will have a hard time buying GE again especially from Lowe's.

I purchased a GE washer in 2000. It was great. If it was out of balance, it automatically, immediately self-corrected. I never had any problems with it. I wish I had it back. July 2015, after reading and hearing about the "new" agitatorless washers, I decided I had better get a new one with an agitator before they were no longer available. I bought another GE -- big mistake! I should have read this blog site before I bought one. The options indicated wash temps of: hot, warm, cold. Big lie. I called tech service, sent out a repair technician. He tells me that due to government regulations all washers are now required to have a sensor that controls how "hot" the water can be. The "hot" setting produces what I call "warm" water; the "warm" setting produces barely warm; and "cold" setting, is as it says "cold".

The tub will only fill half full -- another government regulation. Therefore, clothes wear out quicker due to not being able to move freely -- unless you only put about one-third a normal load. No energy efficiency there! Clothes don't come clean. The washer does not spin the wash water out -- just pumps it out and immediately starts running the rinse water! So, a good bit of the dirty wash water is mixed with the rinse water! Good grief! The agitator veins aren't attached to the agitator base. Long sleeve shirt sleeves or any other "strings" get wedged tightly under the veins. This happened several times -- the sleeve was tight and twisted under three of the veins. It took ten minutes to get them out! All clothes come out twisted and wrinkled. I used to hang clothes on the line in nice weather. No more, these have to be dried in the dryer to get the wrinkles out. No energy saving there.

The "out of balance" issue that many others complain about: OH MY GOSH! It bounces all across the floor!!! Scares you to death! Sounds like an earthquake. No matter how well you balance when you load the clothes, they won't be balanced when it is finally ready to spin -- after the rinse cycle. In March 2017, after only 20 months of use, I could deal with it no longer. As I began my research, I could see by this blog site that there was no point in calling GE (or Lowe's, it wasn't their problem).

After much research I found that the Speed Queen is the only washer that has HOT water, will run a FULL tub of water, spins the wash water out, and doesn't get out of balance. It cost $1000.00! At that point, I would have paid more! I bought one. I LOVE IT! It is a joy to do my laundry now. I can't wait to get a load to do. What to do with the GE? I wouldn't think about charging anyone for that piece of junk. I am giving it to someone who can't possibly purchase a new machine. I have pointed out the problems. They are ok with that. I hope they don't regret it.

Bought a new house and this house came with all GE products and the washer has been a disaster from the beginning. Every time I'm doing laundry the washing machine would just shake to a point where I thought there was an earthquake. I go in and I see the washing machine just shaking and moving itself across the room.

I call GE and someone comes out, tells me it had some bolts that weren't screwed in and yet the issue is still present. And until then I call 3 more times and 3 more technicians come by and cannot solve the problem. As frustrated as I am I call GE asking for a replacement because OBVIOUSLY this product is FAULTY from the beginning. They tell me another technician needs to come out and see that the product is unrepairable and I make an appointment and on the day of the appointment I get a phone call that the technician cannot come out today. I wasted my day and time for a technician that does not tell me ahead of time. I stay patient and they reschedule for the next day.

The technician comes the next day and tells me if I have no laundry in the machine there is no shaking but with laundry there is and that this shaking is normal. How is this normal? Am I supposed to do laundry with no clothes in the laundry machine? And he starts talking about how these "newer products" are not good as the older machines. And basically tells me I should have kept my old washer instead of buying a new one. And he leaves without fixing the machine.

I call GE (again) and tell them this product does not seem to be fixable. And they tell me they need to speak with the technician and they put me on hold and GE tells me that the technician did not see an issue with the machine and that it is just a "minor" shake. How is this a "minor" shake. I can feel the washer shaking from across the room! Obviously this isn't my first washer and my old washer. I had that machine for 10 years. NEVER did I experience a shake like that! I constantly tell them this is a faulty machine and this shaking is not normal and they deny it. I have ANOTHER appointment next week. Let's see what kind of excuses they make up this time! I have recordings of this machine. Sucks I can't upload them. Just take my advice and DO NOT PURCHASE GE! SAVE YOUR TIME, MONEY, AND STRESS!

GE Washing Machine GFWR2700HWW -- At the end of the cycle lots of water remains in tub and would have to run rinse/spin cycle. The machine would pause and NOT restart, and the basket clean cycle would not function. Repair technicians had no clue to reasons, except tub very sensitive to weight and balance. GE offered $100 rebate to buy new machine. Original price $1100. Will never buy GE again.

We purchased a new GE dryer in June 2016, delivered on July 1st. To date it was broken down twice and now it does not turn off and the thermostat must have gone out as well as it either does not get warm at all or the clothes are so hot you can't hold them. As it is a warranty issue you must use an "authorized" repairman, and it takes about two weeks for them to show up, diagnose the problem, then they leave and have to order parts (another week to two weeks). This is the worst product we have ever purchased and there should be a way to give a product negative stars. I will NEVER buy another GE product. All of the internal parts are made of plastic or neoprene. This product is JUNK.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

The same dedication to quality that GE puts into building products like jet engine turbines and wind towers goes into their washing machines. GE is an American symbol of industry that was ranked the 14th most profitable large firm in the United States and has even had employees that have won Nobel Prizes.

• Washer's with many features in one place: GE washers often offer Energy Star certification, stain removal settings, vibration control and an automatic precision dispensing system, all in one machine.
  • Special offers: GE routinely features great deals on washers in its Special Offers section on their website, helping buyers connect with rebates, tax credits and special holiday sales.
  • Washers that look great: Besides offering washers that fulfill nearly every customer's desire, GE washers also come in many colors and finishes, all the way from platinum to ruby red.
  • Best for People who want a washer that offers beautiful design, people who are energy conscious, families and professionals.

Compare Washers and Dryers