GE Washing Machines

Compare Washers and Dryers

Research top Washers and Dryers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

15 months old GE washer GFWR2700HWW 4.5 cu. ft. RightHeight - $1099.99, let the pictures speak for itself. Our last top load lasted 14 years, I don't think I can blame my wife for this. How convenient it happened couple of months after the warranty expired. Shame on you GE for selling me lemon like this for over thousand of dollars.

I purchased a GE stackable washer/gas dryer in June 2012. As of today, November 23, 2016 my unit is requiring its 5th repair. The entire assembly was replaced. Now the washer will not drain and the start button is not working. I replaced a Kenmore stackable unit which was 24 years old when I bought the GE. My reason for the GE is that the wash tub is larger. Well my GE has surely not given me the service my Kenmore provided.

We just wanted a simple top load washing machine. Our old one very simple and I could control the amount of time for a wash. Even though we were sold a simple washing machine we dislike it so much. We swear after a wash there is no formal rinse -- ie drain and filling the tub up again to rinse the clothes. #2. There are times we want a rinse with warm water!!! Nope - ever try to rinse soap off your hands with cold water. #3 Stupid machine locks and can't open it until someone posted on facebook -- unplug the machine, wait a minute, replug then it will open.

On a spin the machine was so off balance couldn't stop it or unplug it. I swear MEN must be making these machines or the company not letting every day people use it, test it and give their honest opinions, which they may do, but some company genius says that's not important and does their own thing. This locking I think is insane and unsafe. My niece has 4 children 5 and under and has cried many times over the STUPID engineered top load washing machine. Thank you.

On Oct 28th, I went looking for a new washer and dryer cause my 6 year old Amana set went out. (They were a cheap brand so I wasn't too upset.) Decided this time we were gonna buy us a set of high efficiency GE washer and dryer. Went to Home Depot and picked out a set that costs us 1354.53 total. They got delivered on Wednesday, Nov 2nd. They plug in washer, it works perfect. They plug in dryer and it shuts off, unplug it and replug it, shuts off. Then no power at all. So we denied this delivery and returned it. Kept the washer.

Decided if the new dryer couldn't work on day one we didn't need that one, so we completely canceled it and got our money back. Come home from a trip Sunday the 6th and try to do laundry and the washer agitator was shaking so violently, it was pushing the metal out the side walls. Called Home Depot and immediately returned washer. Went to 4 different stores to find a different set that was in stock, and ended up with a set that's not GE.

I was highly disappointed I took off work on the 2nd to get 2 machines that didn't work, then on Sunday afternoon I had to spend 3 hours driving around to find a set so we could do laundry for the week. I even bought the 5 yrs extended warranty at the store cause I figured hey maybe in 3 years something might go wrong. But no it didn't even make it through 4 days.

I purchased an apartment sized gas washer-dryer. Dryer works fine. The washer, however, uses so little water (which is the energy saving component of the unit) it does not get clothes clean. The clothes are barely covered and the "agitator" barely agitates. My family performs physical work in the dirt. Let me just say that the only time, now, that anyone's white socks are clean is when they are fresh from the store. This washing machine doesn't get anything white clean. I have to manually increase the water or else wash a smaller load in a larger sized setting so that there is sufficient water to get socks, t-shirts clean and even then it's questionable. So I wash a small load in a medium setting set manually. Because the 'agitator' moves in short little bursts which doesn't really agitate the clothes I have to wash everything on the longest setting possible.

I can't help wondering... Doesn't GE test their appliances before putting them out on the market? I've got this machine ($1500.00) now and I'm stuck with it. But I hope you don't purchase one and waste your money. Buy a better machine. The whole purpose is to get your clothes clean, right? The model number I purchased is GTUN275GM1WW, 27" wide Spacesaver energy efficient washer-dryer unit (not stackables).

And I will also say this (in case GE is paying attention): I just hate the electronic controls. They serve no purpose other than to make operation more difficult and frustrating. It is much more convenient to have manual controls that I can manipulate as to my needs at the time. Electronic and digital is not more helpful, not easier to use and is much more expensive to fix when repair is needed. Over-engineering does not endear you to the public.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Landlords purchased a GUD24ESSJWW washer dryer stackable unit 5 weeks ago... 2 weeks into running the dryer stopped working, made a grinding noise, and we were told to call Appliance Rescue in San Diego... they sent a tech out the next week... 3 weeks ago who said motor was burned out and it would take 10 to 14 days to get parts. I called GE and acquired a customer advocate who assured me that she could get the parts sooner than 10 days delivered to us. 2 weeks later no parts or some parts but no motor which is what we were supposed to get. Got a call 2 days ago from Appliance Rescue and they said their tech had the parts. Called the tech and he did not know what we were talking about and thought we had the parts. I said I wanted a different tech. Called GE and they were astounded that we did not have the parts.

Appliance Rescue called back and said they would have their tech (different tech, Saturday tech) pick up the parts for us and come out to fix the dryer on Saturday the 29th today... the new tech came out and took the dryer apart and said the motor was not burned out as the first tech had indicated but mal-aligned probably during set up. Apparently fixed the dryer (not) and left assuring us that things were ok. Came home tonight to dry some clothes and the dryer is making the same noise. NO SUCH THING AS GE CUSTOMER SERVICE. IT IS AN OXYMORON. DO NOT PUT GE AND CUSTOMER SERVICE IN SAME SENTENCE.

Endless stalling, lying, unkept promises, confusion and a downright incompetent San Diego repair svc offered by Home Depot who washed their hands of the product 24 hours after purchasing... will never buy a GE product again and will see what small claims court can do for me... time is money... and I have not been unable to dry my clothes for 3 weeks.

Purchased a new washer and dryer from GE. GLWN2800DLWS. The worst washer I've ever used in my 60 years. It wraps clothes up in a sausage roll. Tangles clothes with tie strings. Ruined my throw rugs, shredding them to pieces. I absolutely hate this washer. I recommend they are destroyed.

As I read all the reviews, I've got everyone beat. My washer and dryer are three months old. I live alone and air dry all my clothes except sheets and towels. I used my dryer three times. It stopped working. Repair person out three times. The entire motor was bad and they replaced it. It took a month since I reported it not working.

I started washing as soon as they left because I hadn't done laundry in a month. The last time I used the washer, I used bleach on my towels for the very first time in this washer. A month later I did darks. All my clothes were ruined with bleach stains that had obviously been left over from the last wash a month ago. I had already started colors when I noticed this. I ran and whipped out sopping colors onto the ground and hoped they weren't ruined. I put in whites without bleach, hoping another run would wash the rest of the bleach out. Put the soggy colors back in and was horrified when all my color clothes were ruined with bleach stains. My washer and dryer are three months old.

I purchased the GE GHWN5250DWS Hydrowave Wash Machine in 2012. In year three, I had to call for service because it was not draining. The tech come out and fixed it at a cost of over $200. One month later, the same issue occurred. After demanding to speak to a supervisor, the tech was sent out to fix again without cost. Now the washer is making a terrible loud noise when spinning. After talking to GE, it sounds like the transmission... expensive fix! I WILL NEVER PURCHASE A GE PRODUCT AGAIN!!!

I had purchased a front loading GE washer (MODEL GFWR4800F0WW) in June of 2014. Looked great on the advertisement. About 6 months after using the washer machine, I noticed an odor that I wasn't able to figure out what it was. I switched detergents, I used hot and cold water and I even washed smaller amounts of clothes at a time. It wasn't until a year later that I somehow saw mold on the inside of the front gray rubber boot that seals the door. Nothing but bleach worked to remove the blackened mold. The boot is still stained but the mold is gone.

After each load, I leave the front door open as well as the soap dispenser tray but mold continues to grow in the rubber boot. Therefore, each month I have to clean the boot out with bleach. It is such a hassle for such an expensive washing machine!!! I know I need to clean the rubber boot each month because "washed" laundry starts to smell like it's been sitting for days even though it's only been sitting for a few minutes. So disappointed with the GE front loading machine. I would NOT recommend buying the GE front loading washer machine.

I've never had a washer quite like this one; I bought this for the price and because I wanted a basic washer, figuring less things to go wrong. The washer will go through the whole wash/rinse/spin cycle with the lid up. The washer won't immediately stop if I push the knob in; it will agitate very quickly for a few seconds, even with the lid up. When I pull the knob back out to restart the machine, it takes at least a full minute for it to restart. I also don't like the water levels. I have to do 2 loads in this machine compared to one with my previous machine. Sometimes I have to spin heavier items 2-3 times even with power rinse on so the water doesn't pour from the item. I will not buy a GE washer again. I think this washer is very unsafe and I would not recommend it to anyone.

My brother had a GE electric washing machine that was new and supposed to last for years. It stopped working only after a few. The GE washing machine in this apartment spins violently and causes me to fear. I hope it doesn't go the way of Samsung's washing machine.

Beginning of August, 2016, stackable laundry unit was leaking. It is approx. fifteen months old! Official service rep for GE in my city came and diagnosed a new bearing was needed. Aug 29, 2016, bearing could not be fitted properly, two metal parts on bottom of tub fused together. New tub insert ordered from through Sears. September, new insert arrived, fitted by service rep. It was very difficult to fit because it had not been filed down after it was made. He had to remove some burrs on the tub. Fitted tub, checked out washer, good to go? Apparently not. One load of laundry later, machine stopped, all lights flashing.

Service rep back next day, needed new lid lock! September 29, 2016, rep arrived with new part, installed it, machine still not working! He spent a great deal of time on phone with technicians in the US, they did not know how to fix it either! New parts ordered again, control board, wire harness and thermal actuator. I do not know how long it will take to get these parts sent to Kamloops, or if they will work when they arrive. I have an extended warrant so it will not cost me anything. However, it is past being inconvenient now, I have been relying in neighbours for laundry facilities, and laundromat. It is getting costly to do four loads of laundry and dry them every week. It has cost almost a thousand dollars so far in parts and labour! The machine was approx. $1400 new!

Why do I have to keep being inconvenienced by GE? I would like a buy out, obviously the machine I bought is a lemon! I do not trust it now, I need something reliable, not something that constantly needs fixing. I am tired of waiting for parts, I am tired of the whole issue and if it is not resolved in the next two weeks, I will have the machine removed and taken back to the store in Kamloops. I will then purchase a different laundry unit from a different store. I will not deal with Sears again, nor will I ever buy a GE product. I expect to be compensated for my time trouble, I expect to be given whatever the machine is worth after fifteen months of use. At the moment, I am thinking of going to the media with this debacle. All I get from Sears, here in Canada and the US is the run around. Would someone please do something constructive for me and stop wasting my time and money.

Within the first year it broke down twice so I bought a 5-year service contract with Assurant Solutions and they have replaced the motor (last week) and now it broke down again and I have called for another service call. Assurant Solutions has one person covering the entire San Francisco Bay Area so one time I had to wait 2 1/2 weeks when he was sick. As a senior with lots of stairs to my house it is a hardship to go to the laundromat with my laundry but that is what I must do. The main problem is the GE washer is terribly unreliable and I am stuck with it.

I purchased a new condo back in 2007 and a Spacemaker Laundry Washer/Dryer from GE came with the unit. Last week, the washing machine sensor malfunctioned, and water overflowed, causing over $20k in damage. Unfortunately, my insurance does not cover the damage (long story). If you're currently using this model (serial #ZL602188W), I recommend you replace, ensure the unit has a water drain under it, and/or keep a very close eye on it when in use.

Minimal amounts of water does not wash the clothes clean. After rinse and spin clothes come out with residue. Also so much chafing of clothes against each other and machine clothes are wearing and becoming thin. Clothes mostly spin around themselves and don't get washed.

I cannot clean the rubber edge of the washing machine door. The machine has an odor. It collects gunk in the groove in the door and the rim of the door never dries out.

GE has always been a joke in my house. In the 60's my parents bought a new GE refrigerator. It broke almost immediately. We lost food after food until my parents gave up on the repair guy visiting us time after time and just bought a new WT Grant refrigerator. I swore never to even look at any GE ever. It's now Sept 23, 2016. My husband and I have American Home Shield protection. When my Kenmore washer became beyond repair AHS said they were going to replace it. I looked at my husband and said "Cool, I don't even care if it's a GE." Damn, they sent a new GE. It was a tad over one year old when it broke in July of 2016. 2 repair guys from Sears came over on 8/2/2016; they ordered parts. The parts came in so 3 guys from Sears came back on 8/11/2016. They ordered more parts and came back on 8/17/16. The parts came in so 1 guy came on Sept 9.

Sears gave up so a guy from GE came over on 9/23/16 and ordered more parts. He can't come back until 10/3/16. So I will fold and buy a new washer/dryer at my own expense. If I had done this the first day my GE washer broke I would have saved myself $30/week of laundromat expenses and a ton of heartburn as this has become a repeat of the 60's. General Electric, you still suck and always will!

DO NOT BUY a GE washing machine. It uses so little water you can't get your clothes clean. So I have to use "extra rinse" which wastes water. If you wash dark clothes together, they all come out with soap residue. (Obviously, all the clothes have soap residue, it's just that you can only see the soap on the dark ones.) We have pleaded with GE customer service and they won't let us return it. So I told them I was going to post the problems on the internet and she said, "Well you can do that." So here it is. Don't waste your money.

Well, 7 months since I bought new, must be an old washing machine by now because the drain pump has already gone out. I can say that's all it takes for me. I am not a fan of GE and will not buy a product of theirs again. Luckily still under warranty, but the headache of taking my clothes somewhere to get cleaned until it gets fixed makes me mad since I just bought this garbage.

Do not EVER purchase a GE product! Worst customer service I have ever had. Had the big fancy Maytag Bravos for about 8 years and wanted a basic knob machine rather than ones with motherboards etc. Have had this machine less than 10 months and yesterday it stopped working. Still under warranty called to repair. They were 3 1/2 weeks out to even looking at my machine! This is not acceptable for a family of four.

Spent more than 3 hours on the phone to sears and GE. Finally was told it stopped working due to a GE update, really? So, I had registered it at purchase, don't you think that you would notify the customer before updating? Instead it stopped mid wash Labor Day morning. Was advised they will send some update thing to plug in back and it should work. All this within 6 days. Nowhere in the manual or online can I read about this "update". And was advised it will happen whenever GE updates. Um, no! I am eating my costs and buying new machines and will NEVER shop Sears or purchase a GE product again!

Our nine year old washer caught fire last night GCVH6260FWW. It been serviced by GE (or their service company) at four times in the past. Mainly the rubber seal around the door needed replacing. One time the entire hose was blocked. Last night the machine cooked a full load of laundry and had some type of internal combustion with thick grey smoke pouring out of it. Thankfully we were home and were able to shut off the machine but not before it smoked the entire house. We frequently set a load and leave, had we done that this time our house would have burned to the ground.

I called GE (I think). It was another company who answered. They said the washer was out of warranty but due to the seriousness of the situation a manager would call us to find out more information. They were polite and attentive, but I suspect due to the lack of urgency expressed on the call this will be a "too bad you bought this product" situation. Will keep you posted.

I bought a GE Unitized washer/dryer in November 2015. Since then I have had a service tech out 5 times. All major parts were replaced in the washing machine within the first two months. Then I noticed that all my towels were coming out of the dryer with pulls and that clothes with ties were getting caught in the dryer and the ties had grease marks. I called for a tech who was scheduled for today but on Saturday the dryer stopped working all together.

I called the service department to update them so they could update the technician but when he came he didn't have any parts with him. It ends up that he had to order a belt and a new drum rim set. They had to schedule another appointment which is 8 days away. This means I will have to schedule another day off from work. GE has no regards for their products or their customers. They make junk and don't stand by their products. I will never buy another GE product. They should have replaced this unit after the second problem.

If I could I would give this washer/dryer combo a neg star! The first one I had delivered was installed by my contractor that built the closet for me to put it in and when he turned it on he immediately told me to call Lowe's and tell them there is a problem. It sounded like a threshing machine and there was a loud rubbing noise. Lower sent out a GE repair person who said the drum was rubbing on the lid. Lowe's replaced the machine with another and this one I have had less than 5 months and I have had the repair person out 3 times now. The machine just stops in the middle of a cycle and the lights flash. Sounds are horrendous!!! The repair person just left again and replaced the control board. Let's see if that works. I can't believe with all the complaints that this machine has not been recalled by the Government! I purchased the GE Brand because I had a full size washer that I loved. No complaints but boy this one is really bad!

I purchased a full size stack unit washer/dryer just 14 months ago. At 2 months the electric block on the dryer shorted out and almost caused a fire not to mention the shock that was received when trying to reach the plug to disconnect. At 8 months the dryer started screeching and had to have a belt replaced. Now at 14 months the transmission on the washer has failed and it is leaking water. Also the dryer doesn't have any kind of gasket between the inside of the faceplate and the drum. Clothes were constantly getting hung up and getting twisted and torn. Buying a GE was as good as flushing $1300 down a toilet. NEVER AGAIN WILL I PURCHASE A GE APPLIANCE. I had to go out this weekend and buy a new set. NOT GE THOUGH.

We bought a GE top load washer GLWN2800D2. I wanted this simple washer because too many friends have had trouble with sensors and odors on the front load washers. My mistake. Even though the control provides a hot water setting, there is no hot water to wash sheets. The water is barely warm. The servicemen tell me there is a government regulation that we cannot use hot water. Tried to contact the CPSC to confirm. No reply. However, the biggest issue is that this washer also TEARS HOLES in our clothes. Now my best sheets, pillowcases, and numerous t-shirts (even new ones!) have holes in them. My old washer was 20 years old and worked great until there were no parts available. Whatever happened to reputable manufacturers and appliances that actually worked??

The washing machine gtn460asjww is a complete failure. I purchased this appliance last November so it is still under warranty. Service has been out three times and is scheduled for the fourth. I have had washing machines for the last 45 years and never have I had the kind of issues I am having with this. I want my old washer back. It had dials that did not light up and did the wash in water in a reasonable amount of time. I now have to wait until this long, long cycle is over and add on another spin to get the water out of the items. I notice that this spin finally gets out the soap! What a disaster. I am going to post on YouTube the way this thing bounces all over the floor.

I called to file a complaint about their defective electric dryer that needs to have a solid solution found. The customer service rep kept me on hold then disconnected me. Dryer is less than 5 months old and continues to break belts and is obviously defective.

I bought a GE front load washer and mold built up inside that could not be removed or killed with any type of spray or wash or treatment. Additionally, the control panel seemed to be failing and no cycles could be completed so we called for a maintenance specialist ($79.00) to diagnose but he stated that the serial number was washed off so he could not perform any repairs. I called GE customer service and they said they could not look up the serial number by cross referencing any part numbers or the matching dryer! The 'best' deal they could offer was a $50.00 rebate on a new washer! Never again and no thanks GE. Meanwhile I have to throw away the washer which is very environmentally unfriendly and irresponsible. They can't even install a sticker or tag correctly so I am not surprised their customer service completely lacked!

AS a 73 year old former Consumer and Home Economics teacher I have purchased and recommended GE washing machines since 1965. NEVER AGAIN WILL I PURCHASE OR RECOMMEND A GENERAL ELECTRIC WASHING MACHINE. My machine has a load sense to determine amount of water needed - that amount nor the highest amount I can set is barely a third deep in tub. Clothes simply rub against each other without the benefit of a basic wash. When I called GE the answer was that water level is as designed and is the way it will be. I HATE THIS less than a year old MACHINE!!! Too bad that I purchased a matching washer and dryer at same time.

Compare Washers and Dryers