GE Washing Machines

Compare Washers and Dryers

Research top Washers and Dryers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Not thrilled with the GE Profile line but particularly the dryer that has been shedding its skin down to bare metal for a few years now... The washing machine that sits right next to it is fine. Just a very strange occurrence and shame on me for not addressing it with appliance paint etc...

I bought the GE Direct Drive with my new house. I have had no issues for 18 months. Repairman came in and found all screws holding the magnet to the could lose. One fell in and due to could going around damaged coil. A machine like this should not have issues after 18 months. GE has a serious quality control issue. Overall good washer that works well.

GE and their products are definitely not what they used to be. We purchased top load washer GE GTWN4250DWH 2 years ago to replace the Kenmore which also used to be a good product in old days but not anymore. The reason we purchased it that it had good features and the water level that you can control yourself which is hard to find in these days (not sure why manufactures think if you just wet your laundry it will come out clean). The machine was working fine for the first year and after that the electronic board started to act up: sometimes it works on some cycles and sometimes it does not!

We called GE to see what can be done since machine is only 2 years old and in the past they used to last 10-15 years or even longer and of course we had been told since we do not have an extended warranty we are pretty much on our own. It's like they know that their products are junk after the first year or two and forcing you to buy extended warranty. First, we did schedule an appointment with GE to come and fix it but the more we thought how they do not stand behind their product and who knows what can break next we decided to cancel the service call and purchased Speed Queen top load washer that has great reviews and comes with 3 years manufacture warranty, I guess they do stand behind their product. Do not think we will be purchasing anything else made by GE.

I begin experiencing problems that I notice with my GE Top Load washing machine last year. When I notice little holes in my tops (blouses, tees, etc). I didn't realize how bad it was until an inspection of my clothing turned up this problem in the same spot, lower middle of the article. I googled this problem and I saw where I was not the only one experiencing it. I have had my machine for at least 5 years and I'm sure GE will not make any adjustments but I want other buyers to know what will happen if they purchase this machine, model # GTWN4250D0WS.

GE washer model number gfws3505lms - Thank Goodness no one can buy this. It's been discontinued. It's garbage!! Mine is only 2 1/2 years old and it will not run. The power comes on but the door will not lock and it just starts counting down the time in seconds. Had the repairman in and it cost me 90 bucks to be told it would cost me $600 to fix it!!! **!!! Don't EVER EVER EVER EVER BUY A PRODUCT FROM GE!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

GE 4.8 Cu Ft Top Load Washer GTW485BMKWS - We have had our GE Washer for 8 months and within the first four months it started to experience many problems. The warranty service folks have fixed it three times already and are coming back next week for the fourth time. The transmission and computer board has been replaced. They are replacing the drain hose next week and a belt has been replaced. It seems to have problems even washing four towels at a time without draining or starting. I think the computer board or sensing unit has a problem because it is unable to adjust to some loads.

We have lost hope and GE seems very eager to constantly send the repair folks until the warranty expires in 4 months. The repair person told us that he repairs this same model several times a week and we do not even live in a large city - population of 72,000 so the model must be quite problematic. I wrote to GE public relations and they just replied stating the GE Appliances was sold to Haier last year - I would strongly recommend avoiding this brand.

I have the washer and dryer for more than 14 year and continue like is was new. Without a doubt, the equipment it is a helpful part in our life. On the other hand, I recommend GE appliances.

I purchased a GE frontload Right Height washer 7/24/15. Model GFWR2700H1WW. When they delivered the washer they could not install because it was defective. I waited 3 weeks for 2nd washer to be installed. This washer began having problems a few weeks ago. It is so load in the spin cycle, it vibrates my walls. It sounds like a jet. I am afraid something dangerous could happen if I keep using it. A GE repair tech diagnosed it as needing a new tub and bearings. The labor alone is $505. The parts are over $600. GE said they would waive the parts cost but the labor charge is equal to a new machine. These parts are defective. They are no fault of mine. I have taken good care of this washer. These parts should last more than 2 years.

GE will only offer a new machine for $829 or repair for $505. This is unacceptable. This machine was made in China. Now they supposedly make them in the US. If this machine has been improved in the last couple of years they should repair these defective parts free of charge or replace the machine. If this company wants satisfied customers they should offer products that last more than 2 years. I will never buy GE again. You lost me as a customer. I will recommend you to no one!

I purchased this washing machine GE Model GLWN2800D1WS for my mother because it was a simple top loader and she is up in age. Lowe's is where I purchased it and they passed me off to GE who couldn't care less whether I was happy or not with the machine. After reimbursement for the clothes the machine ruined by chewing them up. They still never fixed the machine. After a second tech came out the solution he had given me was "not to put any good clothes in the machine." Now after not being willing to replace the machine it is making a horrible noise when it runs the spin cycle and now leaking on the floor from somewhere other than the hoses. Bottom Line... I will never, ever purchase another GE product. I will also not purchase any expensive appliance from Lowe's. They can't be bothered with customer service.

GE GFW450SSKWW Front Load Washer - This is the biggest piece of junk and I suggest you don't buy one, a brand new front loading washer and dryer that has issues the very first day! The washing machine's pump hums so loud I can hear it upstairs, and the dryer door is misaligned and does not close without lifting it up to meet the latch. The clothes are wet when the spin cycle is finished beyond what is expected of a normally functioning washing machine, so I called the first day to set up a service appointment only to have six unsolicited e-mails and calls from customer service individuals who think they can diagnose a problem over the phone.

FYI, I am an Engineer and when I suggest we have a problem then we have a problem. The icing on the cake was a phone call from service at five p.m. on Friday from "Amanda" saying that she was canceling my appointment and had to reschedule? Rude, condescending and lacking professional decorum defines the conversation! Run and do not even consider this company or product, take my word for it!

I bought GE 460 model. Had machine less than 1 month and I am returning it. Machine cuts off and doesn't complete washing cycle. Today I have been trying to wash the same load of clothes for over 3 hours and it keeps stopping. VERY DISSATISFIED AND DISAPPOINTED with this purchase. Turned me off from GE products for life. Waste of money and time.

I have had this washer (GE front loader GFW680SPKDG) for about a month, and I'm extremely disappointed. So much so that I'm going to contact the local appliance store that I bought it from and see if I can trade it on the Speed Queen that I was contemplating buying when I bought this one. After a lot of research on front loaders and GE (I have 4 other GE appliances that I have been very happy with, and researched this model washer prior to buying)... I opted for this machine. So far, I have had some loads taking 2 HOURS longer to wash as it will keep resetting the time during the cycle. Some loads come out very wet. The fabric softener dispenser is full of water after most loads that I do (caused by "natural siphoning" when the load spins out), so I have to use paper towels to suck up the water to put more in the dispenser for the next load. Oh, and it's been leaking from the left rear of the machine during some loads.

So before contacting the store I bought it from to get a repair person out, I read my owners manual. All of these are "NORMAL". I am using HE detergent, recommended amount. It's normal for the cycle to take longer if it has to reset due to "unbalancing". I bought a front loader instead of a top loader to minimize the unbalancing problem. If I use too much detergent, it will leak from the left rear of the machine. I am putting the right amount in the dispenser and using HE detergent. Sometimes the loads don't spin all the water out (which again is "normal"), so in that case just hit drain and spin to spin out again. Hmmm. I already waited an extra hour for the cycle to finish. And now I have to wait longer to get it to spin out properly?

Unfortunately, when doing my research, I did not come across this website because I did not see any bad reviews for this particular model washer, which is what I put in the search engine when researching. Hopefully someone considering this washer will see this and think twice. And reading over and over again how bad their customer service is will really make me reconsider ever buying an appliance from GE again, despite being happy with the other GE appliances I have. Wake up corporate America. People are tired of spending our hard earned dollars on your products and getting crap and attitude when you don't stand behind your product.

I purchased a GE Stacked Laundry Unit from Lowe's. The first few times I used it, I knew something was wrong with it. So I called GE, they sent a tech from GE to look at it. I explained to him how terrible the machine sounded when I turned it on. It sounded like it was going to blow up any minute. The tech took the front panel off, looked at it for a second and said there's nothing wrong with it. It's supposed to sound like that. He was there for less than 5 minutes. So I had to trust he knew what he was doing, since he was a GE technician.

The machine sounded so bad that I couldn't do laundry when I was home. It was terribly loud. Well it happened. It leaked all over my floor, causing me to now replace the floors, in my brand new home. Repairman came and looked at the machine, said it will be $1,300 to fix because there are so many things wrong with it. He agrees that the machine was faulty from the start. GE doesn't care. It's out of warranty and it doesn't matter to them. They offered to sell me a new machine, the same one, at a discounted price. I am extremely unhappy with GE. They should stand behind their products. This machine was used for a year and a half. Doing laundry for the first year for one person, a girl. So clearly it's lightly used. I wish GE would do something, replace my washer or pay to have my floors fixed. So angry and upset.

Do not buy anything from GE. I bought a top load GE washer last year and the electronic control board failed within a year. I got an endless runaround from the company until the retailer finally intervened on my behalf and got it repaired on warranty. That all took weeks, during which my family had to use a commercial laundry. Less than three months later, the control board has failed again in exactly the same way. GE will do nothing about this except offer a small discount on the (obviously faulty) part and charge me for installing it.

What a great racket: sell people defective junk, then charge them over and over for "repairing" it with the same faulty electronics. Quite separately, during the few months it actually worked, it vibrated violently and walked all over the place, in spite of being perfectly level and very carefully loaded to equalize the weight. GE is defrauding the public. If we had anything resembling consumer protection in this country they would be forced out of business.

I am very dissatisfied with my purchase of GE Top Loading Large Basket Washer... My Washer sounded like an explosion had happened in Spin Cycle! Waiting on Parts... Spent so far at Laundromat 140$ so far! My Washer is only a year old! Don't Buy One Of These Washers!!! I wish I had read the reviews here first! Then I Would Not Own this Washer!!!

I bought a GE washer model # GTW330ASK0WW, serial# HG107380G. It never worked. When I press start the machine fills to required level then starts to wash for 5 seconds and then shuts down. Give it a few minutes and press start again. It washes for 5 seconds and it shuts down again. Ok so I put it on spin and the pump comes on and drains out the water, it starts to spin and in 5 seconds it shuts down. All led lights go blank but lid lock led remains on. I know someone who bought one and the same thing happens out of the box. Can any technician tell me if it is the timer or motor causing this problem? We need Ge to put up a video on youtube showing us how to repair their machines.

GE stackable washer/dryer model#GUD27ESMJWW - Less than a month after purchasing my washer/dryer from Lowe's in Newmarket, the motor stopped working. Appliance services came out to advise that I had a defective motor and the part would have to be ordered. 2 weeks later they notified me the part was in and Appliance services said they would "fit me in." The second time the repairman came out the motor was installed but the "light was flashing." I was told the IT would have to be called to obtain a "code." I stated that I was obviously sold a lemon and wished to exchange the product for another. The repair said GE would never do this! So I am waiting for a call from Lowe's to return this manufacturer defect. I will never get the same product. Don't ever buy the GE stackable! I bought it because I thought it was made in America but they are going to have to convince me in future that American products are worth it.

From day one this GE washer, model # GTW330ASK0WW, jumped up & down, moved to the right and left and forward during spinning. GE sent me 4 pads to install under the legs as it looks like they knew about its lemon washer. That helped a bit for very light loads. But for bulky and heavy loads the washer goes crazy with loud scary noise. It has broken 2 of my refrigerators handles so far and has created deep dents on its side and upper frames.

GE sent its own technician on 7/28/17 and he installed new legs and removed the old ones along with the 4 rubber pads sent to me in the first week of purchase. Since the tech installed new legs and removed the rubber pads, the washer goes more crazy and will than before and turn around to the point that put strain on the hot and cold lines connected to the valves, plug in electrical wire and drainage hose. Although it is still under warranty, GE is not willing to exchange it for a new one and is sending another technician to look at it next week. I have taken both pictures and videos while it is jumping up and down and move like a mad cow and would probably ends up in court before it explodes as Samsung's did. I have no doubt that GE is fully aware of this problem due the fact they have designed new legs for it and provide customers with rubber pads to be installed under the legs to lessen the movement. Do not buy this model for free!!!!

Updated on 09/08/2017: GE has sent his technicians 3 times and they have not been able to fix it. The last technician told me the machine needs new shocks. GE emailed me and gave me an offer that they would fix it if I pay for the labor while they would send the part. This situation has been going on for 11 months while the machine vibration and movement has caused damages to my neighboring refrigerator and upper and lower part of the washer. Once it moved so much, during rinse and spin sounding like a jet engine noise, that ripped off the hot water line and caused flooding on the garage floor.

The customer relation service is very dishonest and unreliable. The contractors are in cahoot with GE. They set me up with Saddleback appliance 2 times and Saddleback refused to do the job for them. I called the company while waiting for their service tech to come and I was told 2 times that they do not with GE anymore. Most probably because they did not want to be pushed around and to be dishonest and unfair to the customer. Finally I took the matter to small claim court for now and I am hoping that it goes to a class A action in the future.

My new GE gas dryer has ruined every set of white sheets, my husband's golf shorts and expensive white jeans and tops. White clothes come out of the dryer with black grease marks and GE claims it's the result of sand in the dryer. If the washer washed there would not be sand in the dryer. I have never dried a bathing suit, towel or sock without washing it first. My husband & I are seniors so rest assured, we are bringing a lot of sand home. I have owned & used dryers for 30 plus years and have never had this outcome when drying whites. It's ludicrous that a brand new dryer can ruin your clothes and GE Appliances, a brand of Chinese conglomerate Haier could care less. So much for consumer satisfaction.

My washer starts to make a fancy noise and I call the warranty of my washer is from 2016 January. I'm so frustrated because from February until today 07/28/2017 they are not resolved this matter. Can you believe are they send me 2 different companies and is unbelievable the way they handles this. What happens with the quality of the products. Where is the customer’s satisfaction. Is that the way the big companies steal the consumer’s money??? Who help us from this people!!! When somebody will do something about this!!!

I purchased a GE Profile Harmony washing machine #PTWN8050MWW only 5 years ago. The top loading area is already rusted, around the part that the bleach is loaded and all around the rim. I do not use bleach and I always leave it open to dry after each use. I tried calling customer service at GE and they suggested that I sand and paint the rusted area, that is not an option for me. I have never had a washer that rust like this and painting is not going to solve the issue. Very disappointed that GE did not offer any options that were fair or acceptable to me. I will not be purchasing and of their appliances.

Washer bangs and walks across room. They have been out 4 times so far. Replace drum. Still banging. They say they will keep coming out til warranty expires. So I have to be here every time. How many times should I have to do this before they just replace it.

Less than 2 yrs ago, I purchased a GE Topload washer, GTW460ASJ3 (WW). This appliance has got to be the worse washer I have ever had. The problems with the washer are numerous: 1. Water levels that don't cover clothes unless you load less than a normal load. While there is a setting for "Super" and "Precise fill," neither seem sufficient. 2. The tub never fully fills, even on Super. In short a large load is not large at all. Again requiring the necessity of loading a smaller load than one would thing. 3. Nos 1 & 2 create both a time and financial issue. Washing smaller loads means more time to do laundry, plus the cost of using more water.

4. Clothes don't get clean. Even "white" article of clothing I own is now gray... every single sock is gray, pants, shirts, blouses. EVERYTHING. It's as if dirt is being redeposited on the clothes. Other soiled/stained articles of clothing, come out just as they did prior to washing. It does not matter the stain; outside dirt, oil food, whatever. There is some luck if you work on the spot/stain prior to washing, but removal just by washing is a bust. 5. Locking lid. At some point in the wash/spin cycle, the lid locks. No effort will release the lid, if for no other reason than to check the "health" of the load. 6. It appears that at the end of the wash cycle, the washer drains and rinses at the same time... Not sure that's possible, but it happens.

I call customer service to get some advice, as well to see if they could offer a remedy. I was asked/ told to, change detergent, add a water conditioner, add a water softener tank (as if), make smaller loads, sort clothes by color, add bleach to whites (of course doing this regularly breaks down cloth) all of the things anyone would consider doing.

"Customer Care" offered to send a technician, offering to cover any parts, but assigned the service call to me. This offer is not helpful. Why should I have to pay for a faulty appliance? Furthermore, I am certain that the reason GE offers to pay for parts and not the service fee is because, at the end of the day, this is a bad, faulty appliance, so there won't be a need to replace parts; however, the service "visit" is a given. The bottom line is that am left with higher than average monthly water bills because I have to wash smaller loads, the need to replace clothing, the need to replace a practically new washer because I have a washer that does not perform. My advice to anyone considering this product/product line is DON'T DO IT!!!

I have purchased several washers and dryers under different names but they were all made by Whirlpool. I have never seen such garbage in my life! The dryer door handles break and they aren't covered by warranty. Why would they be when they charge $50 each for them. What a cash cow they have made for themselves. The door latch is stronger than the hooks and tabs that hold the handle to the door. They break, the handle falls off and you have to buy another one. $50 is simply crazy for that little piece of plastic. Their washing machines aren't any better. You can start the machine but it won't keep running. I have to stop it, unplug it for 60 seconds and restart it. It works for a little while then stops. Sometimes it just sets and soaks and never does start again.

I'm sick of these machines. The dumb lawmakers in this country are making manufacturers build machines that use little or no water. How do you clean clothes with no water? You don't! It's too bad Whirlpool is making everyone's machines. There used to be competition among the manufacturers and now that Whirlpool is making everyone's junk, there is no competition. Their customer service is the worst and I will never buy another Whirlpool manufactured appliance ever again! LG is looking pretty good!

GE Dryer Model DCVH480EK0WW - When drying clothes the dryer just wads them in a big wad if there is more than 2-3 items. Forget sheets. They just ball up in a big ball and are wet on the inside of the ball. The dryer keeps items wadded together and causes extra wrinkles. The clothes take FOREVER to dry as well even when drying a standard load from the matching washer. Do yourself a favor. Don't purchase this dryer.

This the worse product I have ever purchased. I wish I had taken the time to read the reviews before spending so much money. The prior reviews have said it all. Shame on GE. So sad that the consumer is held hostage to the manufacturer as well as the retailer, Lowe's. No one cares. I have been telling everyone I know and some I do not. Lowe's replaced another machine, a GE, not the same style, after much agitation, with this one which I chose. This review is on the G006. Torn clothes and expensive sheets. Clothes that smell after washing. I cannot afford it!!!

Bought GE washer mod. GTW460ASJ4WW 11/22/16. It quit running 7 months later. This machine will not let you wash the way you want to. It takes forever to do a small load. The water levels are a joke. Too many dials and settings. What happened to just load size, water temp, and wash cycle, keep it SIMPLE! We called GE for a warranty repair. That took almost a week to have them look at it. So far we have waited 3 weeks for the parts that they think they need. Meantime bought a older used Amana that has 3 dials and works great. We will never buy another GE appliance. The products are junk and the warranty service is terrible. I bet that the people who design these washers have never had to do laundry for a family. They don't a have a clue. Why would you need a washer with a computer?

What a lot of folks seem to not understand is that buying a different brand washer will not solve the problems. The root of the problem is (1) The EPA regulations and government bureaucracy will not allow any manufacturer to make a washer that washes clothes properly, (2) There are only a scant few actual manufacturers of appliances, most are made by the same companies with different names, (3) We are sold on the idea of "features" and electronics on appliances - (and vehicles - but don't get me started there) that we do not really need and cause us nothing but trouble and expense, and (4) The manufacturers have sunk so much money in research and development to attempt to make a functioning washer that will meet government regs that the actual materials put into building them is cheap. I have been there, done that with electronic front load Kenmore (made by Whirlpool).

As stated by someone else, I would not spend my money on any new washer except maybe a Speed Queen, not sure how badly the new ones are affected by government rules, though. I solved my problem by picking up good working 15-25 year old basic top-loader washers. I can usually fix them myself, and parts seem to still be readily available. Used to be, you went to Sears, bought a new top-load basic washer, it lasted trouble-free for 10-15 years, maybe longer, when it broke, you went back to Sears, bought another that lasted 10-15 years, repeat. Now you pay $1000.00 or more for one, lucky if it lasts a year with no problems.

After two and a half years of owning a GE Washer, my second one because I listen to my husband. The first one had issues. The second one has a broken mode shifter. Repairman was out today and quoted more money than I wanted to spend to fix it. However, I will not ever recommend a GE Washer and even the repairman said, "Steer clear away from this brand". My problem first started with a loud grinding type noise and the drum was not spinning. This is very disappointing to spend this much money for two and a half years of use, GE needs to do something to better their appliances instead of sell junk to consumers.

DO NOT BUY! Top load GE washer with no agitator. This is the worst design ever. Clothes do not get clean, in fact half the clothes on top are still dry never even get wet. Everything is all in knots no matter what size the load is. The clothes end up in one side of the washer and it shakes like Elvis Presley. It also walks across the room. In order to get clean clothes I have it set to deep fill every time and add an extra spend every time. I cannot leave my home if I have a load of clothes in the washer. I am so disappointed. This is the first new washer I have had in many years!!!

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

The same dedication to quality that GE puts into building products like jet engine turbines and wind towers goes into their washing machines. GE is an American symbol of industry that was ranked the 14th most profitable large firm in the United States and has even had employees that have won Nobel Prizes.

• Washer's with many features in one place: GE washers often offer Energy Star certification, stain removal settings, vibration control and an automatic precision dispensing system, all in one machine.
  • Special offers: GE routinely features great deals on washers in its Special Offers section on their website, helping buyers connect with rebates, tax credits and special holiday sales.
  • Washers that look great: Besides offering washers that fulfill nearly every customer's desire, GE washers also come in many colors and finishes, all the way from platinum to ruby red.
  • Best for People who want a washer that offers beautiful design, people who are energy conscious, families and professionals.

Compare Washers and Dryers