1.49/5

Need a washer and dryer?

1051 GE Washing Machines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

OMG, I would add more to this review, but EVERYONE else here has summed up the problem EXACTLY. It sounds like I am running a small airport in my hallway, where the GE front-loading washer (from Lowe's, but I am sure it isn't their fault) about four years ago. An "energy saver" it says, but I have ZERO idea how that can even be possible. The dryer takes just as long as the washer and so an average wash and dry cycle takes just over FOUR HOURS total. My mom still has her 20+ year old Kenmore washer/dryer, and both work just fine, washing a full load and drying the same in under 1.5 hours total.

HOWEVER, the GE product is a pile of crap. We have had the repairman out several times -- close to a dozen -- even the home warranty folks, I have given up trying, and given up fearing for our lives every time we use this pile of junk! Expensive piece of excrement. I would NEVER recommend this product -- either the washer or the dryer. They look good, when not running -- so much so, that when contemplating a move out of state, we were going to leave the lot with the new buyers. Mom's Kenmore both perfect washer and dryer set that work much better and save much more energy. I am replacing both of these machines for Christmas -- or Hanukkah, since it comes sooner.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I come home from work and the GE washing machine that I bought from Lowe's 4 years old filled my house full of smoke. I open the lid and it shot Flames out in my face. Good thing I showed up when I did or my house would have been burnt down. My house still has a burnt wiring smell to it. Washing machine has a hole in the bottom of the tub because it got so hot from burning. I will never buy another GE appliance again.

Get expert buying tips about Washers and Dryers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Purchased a GE washer model# GTWN4250D1WS on 5-24-14. Only lasted 4 years. I just had to buy a new washer because the GE died in the middle of a load of laundry. I had many issues with this machine since the day I bought it. My clothes got caught under the agitator and torn. My towels frayed along the edges at a rapid rate. The water level sensor never prouced enough water and left soap on my clothes. If I used less detergent, my clothes would be not cleaned. The automatic balancer stopped working about year ago. So disappointed in this washer. I thought GE was supposed to be a reputable manufacturer. The only good thing about it is that I dont have to use it any more. I gave it two stars because it was a large capacity and could do a lot of laundry in one load.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Purchased a top load washing machine in December 2017. I have never had a load that was not horrendously wrinkled. I have tried every setting imaginable and it's still horrible. First tech downloaded a "repair" to the washing machine computer. The 2nd tech just plugged into the machine and said it appears to be fine. If there was a repair that needed to be downloaded, then obviously it was created because many people were having the same problem. I was then told that the spin cycle is the exact same for every setting (including delicate)! Are you kidding me! Then I was told the machine is functioning fine...and my case was closed. I was just dismissed. Do they think this is customer satisfaction!!! Quite the opposite. GE has been a huge disappointment. I will never buy any product from them in the future. Do NOT even consider using them!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Bottom line, do not buy a GE appliance. No product support and the washer only last 2 to 4 years before a complete mechanical failure. GE sold their appliance division to Haier Group China. Haier Group will sell you the same poor replacement parts at their cost and you will have to fit the bill for the $450 repair labor. Then the unit will fail again in 3 to 4 years because they use the same poorly made Chinese parts as replacements. The unit cost to repair is not worth the price. Now I see why GE is failing so bad. Poor products and even poorer customer support.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

On Aug 23, 2018 our GE washer stopped working 18 months after purchase of a new unit. Model number is GFW480SSK0WW. It would lock the door and make a sound like it was running, but nothing would happen. After some time (30-60 min) it would stop. We called the Assurant repair service line and made an appointment. The Service rep came on Aug 27 (day 4 without a washer) and could not fix it. Said he had to get parts, either the brain or a pump needed to be replaced.

Authorized Appliance is the name of the company in Phoenix AZ who performs this service. I called Assurant on Sep 1 (day 8 without a washer) to find out the status. They said they could provide no info and we had to follow up with the local repair company "Authorized Appliance". On calling their number, they would not answer the phone and basically forced you to write them an email. In response to the email, they replied on Sep 4 (day 12 without a washer) "The parts are back ordered causing a delay. I have sent a request to the distributor to see if they have an ETA and I will call you once they respond". Then we got a call saying parts will be available end of Sep.

That meant we should plan on 30+ days without a washer. This is extremely poor service support in my mind. The problem lies with the GE company who are not providing adequate spares on parts that are obviously failing too often. So first a bad design, then poor availability of parts so customers basically will never come back. This is definitely the last GE appliance I have bought. No more GE poor quality and poor service products for me any more.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I bought this washer one-year-old used. Should have done my research! It has way more negative comments than positive, which should have been a red flag. We loved the large stainless steel drum and seemed to have ample capacity for clothes. Everything seems to function well on it, no problem with the water level controls, albeit my wife insists on using the deep fill (highest setting) for even small loads. Then, we started noticing small holes in our tee shirts or other clothes. My wife thought it was cockroaches doing it.

But then she brought me some of our towels and brand new rugs where the machine shredded them along the edges and made a mess inside the washer. I checked the agitator in the drum and found the agitator fins are quite sharp. And there is just enough room under these fins for articles to get caught under. Aside from that, the washer works great. But, the cost of replacing clothes, towels, and rugs makes this an economic nightmare. Thus, a one star rating. We all need a class action suit for their crap design.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Do not buy a GE washer. They simply don’t honor their warranty. If you are willing to spend 10 hours trying to get service, they may send someone in between 30-60 days. Even that is not guaranteed. Our washer broke less than 7 months after it was installed. Our complaints and requests have been ignored. We went up the chain and each time they say there is nothing they can do. They have finally offered $50 for our inconvenience but no fix. If you buy any GE product, be prepared for no warranty service.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

Purchase this washer less than 20 months ago and it is already broke. Didn't buy the extended warranty. Figured that was a three and a five. There's only two of us in this house so that washer is not used that frequent. It is junk. A lot of complaints about it. You will never want to purchase a GE product. They offered to send a technician out for a charge. No thanks. We have another set of washer and dryer. Whirlpool. It's not a digital one like just junk. You can go to the settings that you need to set on. We have a cleaning service and we do two to three loads a day with those washer and dryers from Whirlpool.

Had it for at least 12 years. Never had a problem with it. So you need to read all ratings and complaints about GE products. As far as I'm concerned they do not stand behind their products. Remember. This is me and my wife's clothing only being done. No work Rags whatsoever. That is why if you look it only it has one and a half star ratings and a lot of complaints. Thank you for reading my rating.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Our GE washer, model #GTW460ASJ6WW, needed repair. They first tried to walk me through re-setting the washer, but that didn't work and it needed to have a technician sent out to repair it. It was one month out of warranty, however, the very nice gentleman on the phone stated that since it was just one month out of warranty, they would send someone out 'no charge'. Some other companies wouldn't have done this one month out of warranty, so I think GE deserves a shout out.

Original review: July 31, 2018

From day one of trying to use my NEW washer, it has constantly bounced all over the place when attempting to spin at any time during the wash. Have tried to have it replaced due to it never working unless the load is so small that I could have hand washed them better or if there were no clothes in it at all. I have been told by customer relations that the machine has to be repaired four times before they can deem it irreparable and then and only then will they replace my new non-working machine. The repairman and technician from GE blamed the problem on how I loaded the clothes to an uneven floor. This is not the case as my second opinion repairman confirmed that these are of the issue.

I am regretting buying anything from GE. They will not work with you to quickly make sure you have a functioning appliance. The last two loads of clothes I attempted in this machine had to be wrung out by hand as the spin would not work correctly. If I had not been sitting babysitting the machine, it would have broke through the housing and damaged itself along with my home. Very disappointed that they will not work reasonably with you to replace the obviously defective machine.

Original review: July 28, 2018

I purchased an expensive Electronic sensing washer and dryer set by General Electric. This was the first and last set I will ever purchase from this company. The washer Tub Gear Set went out the same time the shocks failed - that was within 2 years of purchase. Cost more to repair than it was worth. As for the Dryer, it too failed with failing bearings and very poor build that made the gaskets fail. These things are built with the thinnest metal and are fabricated very poorly. Seriously, what pieces of crap. Buyer beware, I would highly suggest you look at another manufacturer's products as these will just make you very angry and wasting your money.

Original review: July 21, 2018

After replacing part after part, this washer keeps shutting itself off. Too many garbage sensors, and who knows what else electronic bullcrap in this unit. Top load 2.5 yr. old only! I hate this thing, and I just want a BASIC washer that will wash clothes. GE, and similar models put all this ** in their units to make you spend tons of cash to keep them going a year more IF LUCKY. Go to hell GE!!!!

Original review: July 20, 2018

It's been 50 Days and GE has NOT fixed my Washer!!! At first I was thinking all these reviews cannot be real!? But then I quickly realized its True!!! I will make this review very simple (I give GE Negative Stars). I reached-out to GE because my washer was malfunctioning/NOT working. It took 1 Week to send a technician to my house... when he "tries to fix the washer" he tells me we need to order parts. Ok sooo that's what we agreed to do (at this point everything was going fine)... another week passes-by. Another tech was sent to my house and to my horror he tells me GE sent the wrong part(s)!! I then call the "Consumer Relations Dept." that is a JOKE... I was on hold for a LONG LONG time 40-50 minutes... Yes!! Sooo unprofessional.

Its July 20th and the parts still remains on Back-order!? REALLY... The Call center keeps telling me the parts are not available, just keep waiting! I been WAITING FOR more than a MONTH!!! They sent me a check for 50 bucks? What the hell! That's NOT enough to cover my dry-cleaner/washing expenses. This is such an inconvenience to me and my family!

Today I called and some lady basically told me. The part is NOT ready because of a warehouse delay?? (They keep saying the SAME thing over and over) I am sooo disappointed because I bought 5 GE products about a year-ago. I regret purchasing GE products! This has been a nightmare!!! I'm still in shock about the simple fact that GE call Center shows NO empathy, just careless about the whole issue. I normally do not do reviews like this... but this calls for a FULL Review. I even offered to pay extra money to help expedite the process or pick-up parts - anything I could do to help the process move-along. I been patient all this time... but now I am just ready to replace my Washer with another brand. I won't be purchasing any GE products. NEVER AGAIN!!! P.S Washer still broken... Parts still on Back-order.

Original review: July 13, 2018

GE top loader No Agitator Model GTW680BSJWS: Bought this and matching dryer from PC Richards 3/12/2018. The dryer broke within a week. Repairman told me it was because there was too much lint in the trap. Two days later same thing. Waited over a week for the guy to come back. He had to order parts. Took 4 WEEKS to get a repairman to my house to fix it. Then, about 8 weeks later, the washer goes - bouncing all over and not spinning out clothes - 2 weeks later (earliest apt that they had) guy comes - "you have 5 Errors on your machine - all regarding balance." Tells me he did "Update" that should have been done at the factory and that now it was fine - ONE WEEK LATER - same thing - unbalanced and dancing all over the place. Spent hours on the phone with both P.C. Richards and G.E., and multiple trips to the store - both parties refuse to replace machine. Insist I have to wait until it is deemed by them to be "unrepairable."

They tell me someone would be at my house yesterday between 2 and 5 P.M. Stayed home all day waiting. At 3 P.M. I get a call saying the repairman went home sick and that I would have to wait another 4 days for a repairman. Between the washer and dryer, both G.E. models, I have spent hours at the laundromat wasting time and money when I have brand new machines sitting in my kitchen. When I asked to have money taken off what I owed on the machines I was told the only thing they could do was give me a $50.00 gift card for P.C. Richards. Like I would ever buy ANYTHING from them again.

I have spent at least $80.00 at laundromat with new machines that don't work - I don't need anything from P.C Richards except the machines I already bought. GE and P.C. Richards have lost a 30-year customer - BUYER BEWARE!!! Don't buy ANYTHING GE!!! BTW, the girl at P.C. Richards told me the other day that I never should have gotten a GE washer because they always break - she has customers complaining all the time - then... why do they carry it and sell it to unsuspecting customers???

Original review: July 9, 2018

Save yourself money, aggravation, and buyer's remorse. Impossible to launder two bed sheets and other small articles at the same time. The sheets smother items and put the basket out of balance. The machine (GE Washer G010) "walks," actually walks and rumbles away from the wall. Noisy, sounds like rocks grinding! G101 lid locks! Who the H. decided to lock the lid? No going back to toss in one more item. GE could put a lock on their refrigerators, but on a washing machine? The product is insane! And, I'm stuck with a monster!

Original review: July 8, 2018

We purchased A GE washer (Model # GHWN4250DWW) three years ago and it has begun leaking from the bottom. I checked the drain hose and that is not the problem. I would expect a clothes washer to last much longer than three years especially since we are a two person household. Sadly disappointed with GE.

Original review: July 3, 2018

We purchased a new washer a year ago in August. It has been steadily dripping water inside since month three. We called the warranty number and the repair person began the process of ordering the part. We got a call last week that the part won't be in until after August. That is, if I haven't decided to do something else (her words), like maybe just buy a new washer for instance? Not even one year, but the warranty is almost out.

GE dishwasher was our builder's install. Leaking water through the air dryer onto my hardwood floors. Failed repair twice by GE and they told us the first one didn't count and they needed a third visit to do the same thing instead of replacing it. I had it hauled out of here like the trash that it is and replaced with a unit that is made in America. Having these two experiences so closely together tells me that they know they build an inadequate product and they refuse to repair or order parts so they can do their business in bulk rather than loyalty. I am stuck with other GE appliances because of my builder, but I will never buy from them again.

Original review: July 2, 2018

Purchased a GE Washer and dryer for our lake house. They were delivered 4/27/18. The washer stopped working 5/25/18. GE sent a repair person out on 5/31/18. He diagnosed it as faulty water valve intake. Had to order the part. Another repair person came 6/16/18 to repair the washer only to discover the first repair person misdiagnosed the problem. This guy said it's the main board and will have to order the part. I just found out last week the part is on back order and will not be available until 8/6/18. GE Customer Services has been no help. All they have offered is sympathy. Sympathy does not wash my clothes. I have asked for a new washer but they have not responded to my request. Consumers are at the mercy of GE. I will NEVER buy another GE product, EVER!

Original review: June 22, 2018

I purchased washer (GE 5.3 Washing machine model GTW680BMMDG) at the end of May 2016 from 'Bad Boy' store in Burlington ON Canada. I noticed that the machine in the last few minutes of the spin cycle is very noisy and the drum was shaking. I had a service man (under the manufacturer's warranty) come to the house and he made some adjustment and stated that the shaking and the noise level is "normal". I complained again to GE and they sent another repairman who made some more 'adjustments'.

However, it is still very noisy towards the end of the spin cycle. Our previous washer (Kenmore) lasted 16 years and it was never as noisy. Furthermore, none of my friends that have washing machines state that the noise and the shaking of the drum is unusual. I have an extended warranty that lasts to July 2023, although I doubt that the machine lasts that long, and I am very reluctant to buy another GE product. Furthermore, the salesperson at the store did not point out the unusual noise.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I bought this machine 3 years ago. Heavier load ever done was 2 bath towels, 2 hand towels and 2 terry cloth bath mats using the extra large setting. Average of 4 loads per week. Bearings were destroyed after 3 years of use. Part was replaced ($300 btw labor and part). 3 months later it is broken again. Called new repairman thinking the first one was not competent. New repairman said "I would never touch this piece of junk. They are worthless and I won't tarnish my reputation trying to fix it." If you want to waste your money, go ahead and buy it.

Original review: June 6, 2018

One morning trying to get washed I realized I had no hot water. I went to my basement to see if there was something wrong with my hot water heater. To my surprise my washing machine was on with hot water running into it. No matter what I did I could not turn off the washer, so I shut off the water. The next day my son came to look at it and thank GOD he did. We went to the basement and the machine was on with no water and with the smell of the motor burning. This could have been a tragedy if we did not see this when we did. Also as I notice in other reviews I have had the same, not enough water, wash ends too fast, etc. I am going to send a letter to GE also.

Original review: June 6, 2018

GE is great if your appliances do not need repairs. But our 4 year old washing machine stopped working mid-cycle. After two hours on hold with the GE repair service, my husband tried to get help online. Repairman came out to "fix" machine and only rebooted the electrical board, charging us $270. He did not check to see if the machine would work. We have tried for over a week to get someone out to fix it. They were scheduled for today, and now have told us they cannot come and will come next week. That would be almost 3 weeks with not working washing machine, for a family of 5. Do yourself a favor and do not by from GE. The headaches and dirty laundry are not worth it!

Original review: June 5, 2018

The GE Hydrowave washer is horrendous!!! 1) Auto-load sensing is way off, NEVER enough water no matter what size load you're washing. 2) Half the time I use it, I have to use the "rinse & spin" or "drain & spin" option, sometimes more than once because it doesn't drain! Note: why would they have those options anyway? My guess is they knew about that problem. 3) Clothes gets all tangled and twisted and sometimes stuck in the bottom of the agitator. 4) DO NOT BUY. Or you will be sorry. It's total crap.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I purchased a new GE washer model #GTWN4250D2WS on 9/25/2015. And since day 1 - I have been unsatisfied with this machine! This machine will only give me 10.5" of water on a full load. How do I get clothes clean with only that much water? I can't do a full load because the top clothes come out dry and unwashed. I have to do a bunch of small loads of laundry, to get my laundry done. So what's the use of having the nice large washer that I purchased? I have had the top control panel replaced 2x and my service man tells me that it's normal for this machine only to have this amount of water! What good is it??? I will never buy another GE product again!!!

Original review: May 31, 2018

I bought matching GE appliances. Washer & Dryer from a big box store. Free delivery. Deliveryman noticed some damage on one of the pieces. They were very professional and quick. So far so good. I've had the two for only a couple of months and they are both pretty quiet machines.

Original review: May 30, 2018

Purchased washer and dryer in 2003 and never had a problem with either of them. Washer does great job and dryer only takes 30 min for a full load. When the time comes I would only purchase GE.

Original review: May 17, 2018

This style machine does not have the agitator “tower” in the middle of the tub and this causes the wash to become twisted around each other and tangled. It requires a lot of work to sort them out to put them in the dryer and if you wash large items, towels, sheets, quilts, etc. you can always expect that these items will caused the tub to become unbalanced and the washer will shake all over the laundry room and sound like someone beating on a metal drum with a hammer! The clothes come out “adequately” clean, but the trouble you go through is not worth it! I would NOT recommend this product to anyone!

Original review: May 13, 2018

Bought a new GE stacked washer dryer for our lake house last fall. From the start so little water many items do not get wet. Have to add water and push the clothes down. Not sure how well they wash as I have watched them just go back and forth and stay in the same place. It take 2 loads as you cannot put in many items if you want them washed even poorly. The old machines had good washing action. When on spin it makes a very loud ticking noise, have to leave the room and close the door. A call to GE said this was normal--really! There was no mention of it being a GE machine on any literature or the machine itself. If so we would have not purchased it after all the reviews. Not sure why they would design an item that will not do its intended job. Just junk!

Original review: April 29, 2018

I purchased a GE washer last year. The next day they had to bring a new one out. Sensors were bad. Had the second one less than 7 months and had to call a repairman out. He had to update the sensors. It acted up again in less than 2 months. When he came out it was checking out as ok. It seems this model has intermittent sensor issues. I will never buy another GE washer!

GE Washing Machines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The same dedication to quality that GE puts into building products like jet engine turbines and wind towers goes into their washing machines. GE is an American symbol of industry that was ranked the 14th most profitable large firm in the United States and has even had employees that have won Nobel Prizes.

• Washer's with many features in one place: GE washers often offer Energy Star certification, stain removal settings, vibration control and an automatic precision dispensing system, all in one machine.

• Special offers: GE routinely features great deals on washers in its Special Offers section on their website, helping buyers connect with rebates, tax credits and special holiday sales.

• Washers that look great: Besides offering washers that fulfill nearly every customer's desire, GE washers also come in many colors and finishes, all the way from platinum to ruby red.

• Best for: People who want a washer that offers beautiful design, people who are energy conscious, families and professionals.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs