1.32/5
Based on 90 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a washer and dryer?

Last updated: April 14, 2018

1021 GE Washing Machines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: April 14, 2018

Bought this GE washer from Home Depot (big mistake... They don't take returns on appliances) two months ago. Problems from the get-go with unbalanced loads, machine moving across the floor and then not filling with water. The control panel has been changed out once, but problems persist. This is the worst piece of junk I have ever owned and I am surprised that the company is still in business, and that Home Depot and Lowe's are still selling it. We are pursuing a refund through our credit card company.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I purchase this new washer GTW460ASJ8WW based on a GE Video and the sales persons claims that it could fill to the top of the holes in the tub. If the water level was lower than desired, "just press the deep fill button" for more water. It will fill up to the top of the holes in tub. It barely fills halfway in the tub! I put a normal large load of towels and half of the load doesn't even get wet! The towels are getting worn due to the friction & lack of water. They don't smell clean and feel dirty and rough on the skin like a towel that was never washed and used over and over again. I was told that is the way the NEW washer work.

I've asked other people that have other brands & they said the water does cover their towels. GE said they will charge me $100 to send a technician out if they find it is the way that the washer is suppose to function. Bottom line IT DOESN'T CLEAN MY TOWELS AND SHEETS! THAT IS WHAT A WASHER IS SUPPOSED TO DO. So if they tell me that is the way it is suppose to work they cover themselves and charge me $100 for a washer that doesn't clean. They are sending a technician out. I will keep you posted.

Get expert buying tips about Washers and Dryers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 5, 2018

Very dissatisfied. Not able to jump in or skip ahead two specific settings of washing machine. Very frustrating to troubleshoot, diagnose or get repaired. Would not recommend to anyone who would like to have their washing machine work for more than a year.

Original review: March 30, 2018

We had a GE washing machine for 20 years, I remember it broke down 5 years ago, I made a phone call, the controller broke down, I am surprised they still have parts, which stopped me from purchasing a fancy looking washing machine...

Original review: March 23, 2018

This Hydrowave washing machine has a very nice deep stainless steel tub, the problem is that if the water level barely covers the clothes, the agitator just goes swish, swish, meaning it doesn't actually clean anything. I've tried Tide, with and without Bleach. DON'T BUY THIS, IT'S THE WORST MACHINE I'VE EVER SEEN!! Really shocking that they made this thing. Now I have to get rid of the lousy thing, and purchase a new machine. I'm just glad I found out before I bought all my new appliances for the kitchen, and for my son's new house also. GE is a waste of $$. Wow.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Original review: March 22, 2018

Had a new GE GTW810SSJWS28 washer delivered 8/8/17 and we have not had a clean wash since day one. ALL loads come out with major swaths of lint attached to the clothing and most of our laundry comes out looking dirtier than when it went in because of these clumps. Just so any of you are thinking, as some of the other customers who have posted seem to think, that GE Appliances is an American company, perish the thought. It has been sold to China like so many others.

My wife and I bought the machine thinking we were dealing with the old, American, GE. We were told "Oh no you can't use softener anymore. You will have to run the extra rinse cycle. You will have to use high spin cycle. You will have to run the deep rinse cycle. We followed all suggestions and after two separate repair technicians came to the house we were told that there was nothing wrong with the machine, that it must be us and we would be charged for any other repair visits because there was nothing wrong with the machine. Our problem was that since we live in New Mexico and hang our laundry out to dry for free we were at fault. All we have to do is use a dryer with a lint filter. We have calculated that with all the extra cycles and using the dryer we will have been paying 5 times more to use this new "Energy Star" washer than we had been with our old washer.

Original review: March 20, 2018

I purchased a Washer and Dryer from Lowe's about two years ago. I didn't purchased an extended warranty because I'm from the "old school" and believe that an American made product should last at least 10 years. But, no, it started failing soon after it was delivered. It left the clothes wet, and would bounce around. No matter how many times that I would balance it and adjust the feet on the washer it would continue to bounce. Now, the spin balance no longer works. I called and was told that GE didn't service my area and that I would have to find local repairs on my own from my Yellow Pages. Please, if you are reading these reviews, they are true and from really frustrated homeowners that only want to use their appliances. Only by NOT buying GE products will we get this massive company up and off the couch once again and start making quality products again. Shame on GE and shame on American made products, shame, shame, shame!

Original review: March 16, 2018

I initially scheduled my repair for my washer which is almost a year old now online. I scheduled it for a Saturday because that is the only day that I will be home. I received a call on Thursday, through a third party (my boyfriend). He stated that the technician wanted to know if he could stop by which no one was present at that time. That was out. Then the dispatcher stated that he would come on Saturday. I told the dispatcher that I had an appointment at noon and would need to leave the house by then.

On Saturday, I called the Service Tech. at 11:45 a.m. He stated that he was in Naples at the time which is a good 40 minutes away from me and that he only works half-days on Saturday. Therefore, he is telling me that he will not be available to make it so we reschedule for next Saturday. Today I received a voicemail from GE stating that they are rescheduling my appointment to next Tuesday between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. First and foremost, do not reschedule any appointment without confirming with me that I am available which I am not and have clearly stated this to them. I am a single mother and work Monday through Friday. I am only off on Saturdays. I have told them this over and over, what are they not getting.

I called Customer Service and was told to call Customer Relations. I am sure John Flannery does not know that his Service Dept. really sucks. I will make sure that he knows by filing a complaint and getting a hold of all of the 1,000's of customers to see if they would be amenable to filing a Class Action Suit against GE's Service Dept. and how they handle their scheduling. If anyone is interested, contact me.

Original review: March 11, 2018

We bought this washing machine (GE Allura) and we did not use it for nine months. My husband kept telling me to scrap the old machine and fit this new one. Eventually, we did. All worked well for about a year, then it began making terrible banging noises just as it would go to spin, so I would have to go and open it and position the clothes around the drum to get it to balance. Most of the time, I would end up removing clothes till almost nothing is in the machine, and then it MIGHT spin properly. It also fails to properly wash the clothes. It leaves stains on the clothes of dirt and detergent that has not been removed. In all the junk machines, I have ever used throughout my life this one is the worst offender. I know there is no warranty on it now, even though it has little use.

I always assumed the reason you bought a washing machine was to stop washing clothes by hand. This one is a good lemon in the corner. My husband is a mechanic, and I will get him to take a look and see if there is something he can do to make it work. Before we spend $400 on repairs, we might like to review other new machines and consider throwing this one out the door if my husband cannot fix it. It is no wonder GE's share pricing is falling in the stock markets for the shoddy products they are selling people. Not sure why the Consumer Watchdog, or the Ombudsman is not challenging this company for selling (Disposing) of dodgy goods to customers.

Original review: March 8, 2018

Bought a new GE Dryer in August and it has 3 heat settings. Only one temperature on all 3 settings. Takes over 160 minutes to dry a load of towels on cotton setting. Four times GE has come out to look at the dryer and they keep saying it's energy efficient. If it's energy efficient it wouldn't take over 2 hours to dry a load of towels. Using more gas and electric to run this dryer. No one is listening to me that for a 3 cycle dryer, there is no difference in temperature if it's on the delicate cycle versus the cotton cycle. SAME TEMPERATURE.

Original review: March 6, 2018

2 and a half years ago I purchased a GE washer and dryer from the local Home Depot. Day 1 we had issues with the control panel on the washer. Service tech showed up about a week later, stated he wasn't familiar with the model we had. We were told that we need a new panel board which would take about a week to get. That was 2 and a half years ago and we have never seen or heard anything from GE. Both the washer and dryer suck. I would never purchase another GE appliance nor will I recommend the brand to anyone.

Original review: March 5, 2018

This machine apparently has a mind of its own beyond the control of the user. User normally has to stop the machine for added clothes or bleach and I know full well the rules about holding the three second button to stop then re-pressing it to start again. Yet, sometimes it just wants to drain all the hot or cold water out when restarting although that is not desired. Such a waste and not environmentally friendly. I just want to fault the person(s) that developed the logic system for these machines.

I have my own degree in industrial controls technology and myself an expert after working 30 years in the field from servohydraulics to pneumatic logic design and troubleshooting as a leader and hands on worker. A user should be able to stop and start the machine at will, yet this is not possible. Please --- your logic designer is a failure. I would fire or retrain them. The shame is on the engineer that signed off on this unpredictable monster. I give the designer and engineer failing grades. GE should be ashamed to put this product out there in the public sphere. I've had this machine long enough to hate it and know it can't be returned but if GE can send me a schematic of the logic or updated logic board I will personally redesign it the way it should have been done in the first place. Shameful.

Original review: March 4, 2018

I am a retired senior citizen 70 years young living in an apartment. I rented this apartment because it had all appliances provided. I have owned a home and bought many appliances in my lifetime. The GE washer in the apartment model GCWN4950D1WS, serial number ZA195124G is a worthless piece of junk!!! It is "supposed to sense" the water level needed to clean your clothes. I find that if you leave it to the machine the clothes do not get cleaned. My only solution has been to add water to the washer from the sink in the kitchen. This is a very tedious, tiring, exasperating, infuriating chore for someone who is supposedly RETIRED. I am handicapped and it is very difficult to do normal everyday things. The Golden Years are not so Golden because of a company like "GE" that puts inferior products in Senior Citizen Apartments. Shame on you GE!!!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

I purchased a GE washer model GTW460ASJ5WW in September 2016. The main board has gone out according to the repairman. I did not get the extended warranty so I had to pay $65 for him to check it. It will cost $200 for new board plus installation cost. This is ridiculous, a washer should last longer than 2 years. I will never purchase a GE appliance again.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I had to call three different times to get an appointment scheduled for when I could actually make it -- one person gave me a day that didn't work and told me to call again; the second said she scheduled an appointment but didn't; the third actually scheduled it. On the day of the appointment, I got a voicemail saying the technician was finishing up a job and would be at my place shortly. I called 2 hours later to learn that the technician didn't come because I hadn't answered the phone. (The message did not say I needed to call back to confirm.) I then spent an hour on the phone with Carly, a very nice and competent person in consumer affairs, who tried in vain to get me an appointment that same day (the technician said he couldn't fit me in, even though he was supposed to see me that day). Carly kindly offered to reimburse me for the costs of washing my clothes.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I replaced the motherboard after the machine was only 2 years old. I had to pay for the part and pay to have it installed. It failed again within one year. I replaced the machine with a LG. NO MORE GE. THEIR APPLIANCES ARE SUBSTANDARD. I HOPE THEIR HOSPITAL EQUIPMENT IS BETTER FOR OUR AMERICAN PATIENTS!!!!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I bought this dryer and it was leaking gas, and shutting off in mid cycle less than 2 weeks after I bought it. I spoke with GE and they suck!!! I told them the gas company red flagged the dryer for leaking gas. They set me up an appointment with a technician a week later. On the morning of my appointment the tech called me and said that I needed a specific part and it wasn't available for 3 weeks. I asked how could he know this without looking at my dryer and he said he just knew. I told him I still wanted him to come out and look at it and he said, "Ok," but never showed.

When I called GE and asked them about why he didn't show they started making excuses and saying he needed a certain meter and now he was rescheduled and couldn't get back out to me. I also asked them if he knew what part I needed without coming out why didn't they tell me this a week ago and order the part instead of scheduling an appointment a week later and then telling me this. Pretty much wasting another week and making me lose a day of work. I finally spoke to another person at GE and she told me to exchange the appliance where I bought it. I spoke with Home Depot and they said it wasn't their policy (which I knew) and GE knew. I explained that GE had told me to call you knowing that Depot wouldn't exchange it. I am now waiting to see if Home Depot is able to get a tech out to look at my GE dryer.

The incompetence GE showed me I would never recommend another product from them EVER. I'm not saying their products are inferior, but, GE's customer service is atrocious. I felt I was patient in waiting a week for a tech. But to get a call and tell me he won't be coming and he knows what's wrong with my dryer over the phone is ridiculous. The fact that I wasted a whole day sitting at home and took a day off work infuriated me even more. Then speaking with customer service after being on hold for over 15 minutes and them telling me that the tech is correct when the knew for a week what was wrong made things even worse. So buyer beware when you get a GE product. Remember you don't just buy the product you buy the service and in my opinion GE's customer service is horrible.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

My husband purchased a G.E. washer and dryer for my 50th birthday and the washer is a lemon and dryer knobs are cheap. 4 repairs later and refusal to replace by Lowe's and G.E. on products still under warranty, I have decided they deserve 0 stars and will never buy their products again! Warranty is a joke also!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

My wife bought this GE GTW330bmkww Washing Machine in April, 2017 and have had serious shaking/agitation noise and movement. It also drains and spins sporadically. We have had two service calls and the technician indicated that we need to load it full and run on a delicate cycle to try to minimize the way it operates. I would not recommend this product to anyone and will likely end up junking this one and getting something that works.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

We purchased a top load model (#GTW460ASJ8WW) from Lowe's on December 31, 2017 and installed it the next day. It took a little getting used to, but we wanted a washer that we could manually set water levels. We have our own well, so water saving is not an issue. We managed to do four (4) loads of laundry before the machine stopped working. The fifth time we tried to use the machine it would simply pour water into the tub and drain it out. The tub cannot fill with water. We did all the troubleshooting and re-booting. Nothing worked. Worse, the "pause/stop" button function is dead. The only way to shut the machine off is to unplug it. This machine lasted 6 days. We wish we had seen the reviews on this site before buying. We are not going to bother with the warranty and trying to get it fixed as it seems that is just more wasted time.

We only have 14 days to return this lemon to Lowe's. The folks at our Lowe's are really nice. They offered to replace the unit - but why bother? If a new product from GE fails that fast, I want nothing to do with anything they make. From the other reviews on this site, our problem is not unique. Our old washer, a top loading GE from 2005 sits out back. It will be more cost-effective to have that machine rebuilt than to bother with anything made today. That old unit was a warrior.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

In October, amid the recent losses of two family members, my washing machine stopped working. Since I knew I would be flying back and forth to Charleston, IL for funerals and estate matters, I opted to go for the "sure bet" HOME DEPOT for my appliance needs. I opened a credit account with them which offered 0% for 6 mos., one-year "hassle-free" returns, and purchased a GE GTW330ASK (for help) 2WW. Home Depot delivered and installed the washer and from the moment I pushed "play/pause" on this machine the LOUD onslaught of troubles began. Before 90 days were over, it had completely stopped working. To add insult to injury, I placed a call for an appointment for repair with Erica for Tuesday, January, 2. I had to wait weeks!

Two days later I received another call from GE service canceling my appointment and asking ME what was "wrong with my washing machine". NOT being a professional appliance repairman, I could only reply that it does NOT work. To which the dispatcher placed an order for "a part" based on what I said (it's almost laughable as I write this except that I lived it) and informed me that the technician could not come till "the part arrived" and rescheduled for January 5th. The infamous "part" arrived the following day and was met with my call to a GE dispatcher for a technician to come ASAP. I was given back my original appoint date (January 2) at a later hour.

Two, not one, technicians came to my home. They plugged in a laptop and said the hot water was never turned on. HOME DEPOT delivered and installed the machine and tested it before leaving. This could not be possible having done "white" loads in the machine and my habit of rinsing the soap I dispense from the cup I used. The water WAS HOT... I don't know what your tech was vaping in the truck. I could have scripted the rest.

Needless to say, "the part" was NOT the right part... HOW COULD IT BE based SOLELY on my assessment and not a professional FIRST. After spending what was at least 30 minutes the lead tech declared that it was something else and I would have wait again to order the part and then have the tech come back again. Weeks of waiting produced NOTHING. This morning, sick with a cold, I spent the entire morning doing load after load of laundry at the nearby laundromat having just spent $450 for a brand new washing machine. UNACCEPTABLE! I have absolutely NO CONFIDENCE in GE products much less the technicians they dispatch to service them. It's almost unfathomable to think that after spending $450 for a washing machine that it breaks in less than 90 days.

I will never buy another GE product, which is unfortunate because they used to make GREAT THINGS! I will be returning this machine today to the Davie Florida store nearby. I do not want this in my home another minute. My hope was that HOME DEPOT would take care of its customers, ME, and honor the "hassle-free" return. I do NOT wish to spend 2018 with GE technicians fixing new appliances. This is a travesty.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

GE Profile Washing Machine (GTW680BSJ1WS) - Bought this washing machine back in Feb 2016, a couple months after owning it stopped spinning. Called GE and had a service tech come out and replace the main board and the sensor for the tub only after going back and forth. Meanwhile we were without a machine for almost 2 weeks. Now it's doing it again, and not spinning. Now I have to pay to get a 2 year old machine serviced. I would not recommend a GE washing machine at all and the customer service at GE is lacking. I ended up calling a local company directly and so far have received better service over the phone as GE was going to charge $100 just to have someone come out. For the price I paid 2 years ago I should not be having this issue, they need to have better parts, better warranties and way better customer service. Stay away from GE profile top loading washer machines, they aren't worth the hassle.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

Purchased on May 17, 2017 from Lowe’s a large capacity, heavy duty GE washer with extended warranty. The washer continually malfunctions and goes off balance. It cannot handle any kind of load without being thrown off balance. The washer is barely 6 months old and the repairman came in today to service it said he had to “update the sensors“ and replace the lid lock. He promised the machine should work now if I keep it on second rinse for all loads despite the fact that it’s advertised as energy efficient. I just washed a second load which consisted of one full size flat sheet, fitted sheet, and two pillowcases and the machine went off-balance again. Horrible machine and substandard repair service. Extremely disappointed!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

GE WASHING MACHINE GTW46ASJ0WW - DO NOT BUY THIS MACHINE. This is the worst machine I have EVER owned! It is loud, it shakes and bounces like a rocket ship taking off as soon as you wash bulkier items and if the machine is off balance - just shuts off without giving you the chance to re-distribute the items. The fabric softener dispenser leaks so that there are always spots of it all over your clothes. The water level sensor doesn't even put enough water to cover the clothes so they are never clean and after 2 YEARS I had to pay $400.00 to change the control board because it was malfunctioning (the machine would not stop running - turning on by itself in the middle of the night). DO NOT BUY THIS MACHINE!!!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

Bought this washing machine a week ago, it was installed yesterday, and if there's so much as one T-shirt in the drum, all the water drains directly into the floor. Customer service is crap, got the run around, got hung up on, got told it wasn't their problem, got told that they weren't responsible for products after they're sold, and that the warranty only covers until the end of business the day after purchase, or the day after delivery, or several other contradictory claims. Was forced to rush home to give them a serial number, then hung up on when I called back to give them the serial number, then told the serial number wasn't important when I called back again. Spent 10 hours on the phone with them, and have a technician scheduled to come take a look at it on Friday. Overpriced garbage, sold by a garbage company, with garbage customer service.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

I purchased GE Adora top loader washer model GHWN8355D0MC 2 years ago and the is basically a piece of garbage. It does not wash clothing and it actually gets it dirtier. I will never buy any GE product again.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

My daughter purchased a washing machine for my birthday 6/7/2016. I will never purchase a GE washing machine ever again. It has been a problem ever since. When GE repairman came out he didn’t fix the problem as it still isn’t wringing out clothes. I didn’t purchase extended warranty so I’m screwed. I never had a problem with my old Maytag in all the years that I owned a Maytag washer machine. None of my friends will ever purchase a GE washer again.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

Machine is only 2 years old and doesn't get clothes clean. Cycle times out - starts draining water and does not agitate. The only cycle that seems to work is soak cycle. I have read many reviews that say they have had service person come and try to fix but issues continue. At this point, simply going to buy a new washer. So, so disappointed in GE. Will NEVER buy one of their products again.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

My GE washer and dryer are probably 20 years old and still going strong. Purchased from Sears and have never has a problem with either one of them. They are not "cool" looking like new models but they take care of my needs very well.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

We purchased GE washer model no GTW460ASJ4WW and matching dryer. The dryer had to be repaired during the warranty period, but now this washer YOU WON'T BELIEVE HOW CHEAPLY MADE it is... Last night I tried to wash a microfleece blanket (you know how sleek this material is when wet). So all of a sudden I hear this loud noise while it was spinning. I paused the cycle and look inside. The "auger" which is the arm attached to the agitator was off flopping around! Come to find out these two parts are not one piece! There is an agitator is a basket bolted in the bottom and auger just screws on! With four L shape pieces that less than an inch in size, I have seen sturdier parts on model car kits! Thats the ONLY THING that screws this auger on and connects it! How cheaply made is that! I will NEVER PURCHASE ANOTHER GE APPLIANCE! Come on GE you need a new design team!!!

GE Washing Machines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The same dedication to quality that GE puts into building products like jet engine turbines and wind towers goes into their washing machines. GE is an American symbol of industry that was ranked the 14th most profitable large firm in the United States and has even had employees that have won Nobel Prizes.

• Washer's with many features in one place: GE washers often offer Energy Star certification, stain removal settings, vibration control and an automatic precision dispensing system, all in one machine.

• Special offers: GE routinely features great deals on washers in its Special Offers section on their website, helping buyers connect with rebates, tax credits and special holiday sales.

• Washers that look great: Besides offering washers that fulfill nearly every customer's desire, GE washers also come in many colors and finishes, all the way from platinum to ruby red.

• Best for: People who want a washer that offers beautiful design, people who are energy conscious, families and professionals.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs