2. Homeowners
  3. Washers and Dryers

4.0/5 (651 ratings)

About GE Washing Machines

GE appliances come with a traditional warranty, but the company also offers extended coverage with a Service Protection Advantage plan from Assurant, GE’s authorized provider of extended warranties. The plan covers parts and labor for appliance repairs for an extended period. Customers pick and choose which appliances or systems need to be covered.

GE Washing Machines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Original review: Oct. 21, 2021

I bought a GE top loading washing machine Model # GTW460BMMWW. I had an issue with its performance and it took months to try to repair the machine, lastly the company replaced it with a new one after much deliberation. This new washer lasted a couple months and it completely quit working. A work order was produced and a repair technician was to come in THREE weeks! Long story short, the company's repair technician came, asked a couple questions, without examining the washer determined that my basement was too damp and therefore dampness was the issue and the repairs too extensive. So I was denied any repair or any compensation with a washer that was still under warranty.

The repair technician's report was requested and was ignored by the company's representative (Maria) after many emails. She (Maria) told me to try it in another location with less moisture (like I have multiple washer outlets throughout my home). If the product, which operates with water, cannot operated in a basement I would think the package would come with a warning not to be installed in a basement. One very unsatisfied customer!

Original review: July 15, 2021

GE GFW490RPK0RR Bought this Machine 3 years ago, was $1399. Biggest gripes: The tub clean would have to be done a few times a week or suds would build up, despite only using very small amounts of detergent. It would smell and it would fill up with suds if not cleaned. It almost always ran off balance and would bang or make noises. Often the machine would be blinking “Paused” I have no idea what that means. Clothes would come out of machine with rips and tears in them. This one puzzles me the most as I could not find any sharp edges anywhere. The soap dispenser intermittently would be found full of water, where you’d have to pull it out and drain it to put detergent into the cups. The door hinge is corroding severely

Recently the machine has been making unusually loud noises, then all of a sudden stopped working altogether. I found that the front outer drum, rear outer drum, had holes in them, and the bottom of the machine had these little steel balls lying on the bottom. I found that the balance ring had worn and spilled its contents, the balls. A quick look on GE’s site, for both balancing rings, the two tubs, the inner drum and seal will be around $800 not including labor. Needless to say, I won’t be putting money like that into this machine. In the end, I figured that it cost us $500 a year to do our laundry, not including the clothes we had to throw away. I’ve read that this problem has occurred in many other people’s machines. I’d suggest finding something else till GE gets this flaw figured out.

Get buying tips about Washers and Dryers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 18, 2021

Washer will turn on by itself days after last usage. It agitates without water or laundry in it. Doesn't stop until I go through advised reset procedure. What if I were out of town when my washer decides to do this? Would my washer motor burn out? Would my washer catch fire? Laundry loads becomes unbalanced even after loading very evenly. Washer crawls across the floor until I manually stop it. No auto stop with uneven load. No more GE products in this home.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2021

This is a big beautiful front loading washing machine. However the motor runs (loudly) throughout the day and night on its own. It has caused an increase in our electricity bill. It is also very loud. The washer is in the basement, I hear it on the first floor, running when we are not washing clothes! We called GE and they sent someone out. He said it was normal. Apparently it needs to charge throughout the day. This seems ludicrous to me. I will call GE back, because I think the person they sent was either lazy or incompetent, but what a lot of trouble for a very expensive washing machine. I am very sorry I bought it and would advise you not to buy it.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2020

I moved in a brand new house where the contractor had all the equipment from GE, and when my Samsung washer died, I decided to buy the most reviewed and best rated GE Washer Model: GFW850SPNDG, Serial: VM321483N, which was purchased and installed by Home Depot on 3/25/2020, and the worst thing was Home Depot only gives you 48 hours to return if there is a problem or you don't like it, how in the world you can figure out that is 48 hours.

Anyways the first day after the technicians left we started doing the first load and after the wash was done we realized the clothes were soaking wet, the water did not extract completely. So, I thought maybe because I made a mistake or the load was too big, so for the the first week, we separated the towels and clothes and started putting 3/4 load and still the water would not extract at least 2 to 3 times a week, so I called the tech support and they dispatched a tech, and he could not find any error code on his laptop so he told us or try to teach us how to use the machine which we have been doing it for more than 35 years.

This kept going on and then due to COVID-19 my mother and my kids said we should not allow any stranger in our house so we stopped calling from April till now, and so far the machine has given us problems for more than 90 times, and it is getting very frustrating, so I started calling them again and last week the supervisor Starla said there is no way they will replace the machine, and it is not even a year and now they want to charge us trip charges and they cannot even fix the problem and are refusing to replace the machine. ANYBODY READING THIS MESSAGE IF YOU CAN HELP OR ADVICE WHAT SHOULD I DO PLEASE HELP.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2020

My GE dryer burst into flames. Two weeks later the washer. 3years old. Customer service is abusive and rude. After one year of parts and still not fixed. Then they were going to replace them with something. I gave them $1300 for a new washer dryer set. They sent the wrong ones and told me too bad $4599. They stole from me in parts repairs and I have a washer dry set they just dropped off and not the one I paid for. This set has no steam, no DETANGLE. My Blue heeler has seizures the noise from the tangled sheets and blankets towels. It goes BANG BANG BANG until I pull the dripping wet Items out and untangle them, put them back in and keep repeating until the load is done.

So now I am a slave to a dry that can't DETANGLE itself. I am donating to habit to humanity. I haven't had a washer and dry for over a year and spent $4599. All summer because of covid-19 I have to wash by hand and hang dry. It's cold and raining now and GE HAS MY MONEY. NOW ALL WINTER I WILL DO THE SAME IN THE KIDDY POOL I USED ALL SUMMER. THANKS GE.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2020

My wife and I moved into a new home three months ago. The house came with a brand new GE clothes Washer (Model GTW720BSN0WS). We have found that half the time we use the washer the spin cycle will end abruptly and not restart. We have to wring out our wash each time by hand. We used the warranty to call in service technicians twice. Both times they said that it is functioning 'as it should'. I placed a consumer complaint with GE and they said that they do not replace their products. This tells me everything I need to know about the product - they will not back it up. The washing machine is poorly built - and the company that built it does not care. I am extremely disappointed that a company of GE's stature will not back up its products. I will never buy a GE product again.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2020

Purchased new GE Washer, front end loading over 1 year ago. After running well for 11 months it stopped draining. Tech came and said filter needed cleaning, but I could see nothing in it. Then, twice after that, the machine has stopped draining and each time I paid >$100 for tech. Just stopped DRAINING again. This GE washer is a pile of junk, I recommend you never buy GE washers.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

My service to replace a washing machine less than a year old is not worthy of even one star. I went online to schedule a service call because, again, the washing machine was less than one year old and leaked water out of the machine all over the laundry room floor and down to the basement. I got an appt scheduled two days later. Only to be called by that actual service company that GE doesn't "know" their schedule, and it would be two weeks until they would come.

The service person found a hole in the tub, non-repairable, so we get a machine. He uploads the info to GE. GE will contact me. Well, no they didn't contact me. I had to call them. On hold forever, over an hour. I got assigned a case number and I got an email. I tried to respond to the email, but no response back to me. So I called....the longest wait times ever: Day one - 2 hrs 55 min; day two 2 hrs 40 min. Still no answer. Still no machine. Could take up to 7-10 days they say. No definite resolution and without a washing machine for over three weeks. Never, never ever will I buy anything GE. And shame on Lowe's for telling me they are great to work with. I couldn't be any displeased.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2020

Chewbacca is living in my GE Washer (Main Bearing Out). Machine is #GTWN7450H1WW. Has a born on date of April 2016 and started making the Chewbacca sound approx 2 years ago then stopped for no apparent reason and how now decided to start up again with the incredibly awful noise of the Main Bearing grinding. I'll be damned if I'll buy parts from GE to fix their crappy machine. I long for the good old days when a Whirlpool washer lasted 15-20 years, those days are sadly gone and I fear shall never return.

GE Washing Machines author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

The same dedication to quality that GE puts into building products like jet engine turbines and wind towers goes into their washing machines. GE is an American symbol of industry that was ranked the 14th most profitable large firm in the United States and has even had employees that have won Nobel Prizes.

• Washer's with many features in one place: GE washers often offer Energy Star certification, stain removal settings, vibration control and an automatic precision dispensing system, all in one machine.

• Special offers: GE routinely features great deals on washers in its Special Offers section on their website, helping buyers connect with rebates, tax credits and special holiday sales.

• Washers that look great: Besides offering washers that fulfill nearly every customer's desire, GE washers also come in many colors and finishes, all the way from platinum to ruby red.

GE Washing Machines Company Information