Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

GE Washing Machines Reviews

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

In my occupation, I am required to wear uniforms. I wash my uniforms every week. I have had the same uniforms for 6 months. They still look new. They are not dingy. They do not have a "nursing home smell." They smell like fabric soften. I have washed the same uniforms at the laundry mat. The clothes have lint fibers on them. They come out hot alone with acquired stench.

The GE (General Electric) Model # GTWN8250DOWS/ Serial RA17271OG, I have owned for more than 5 years. I have not had any problems. The washing machine have several selection. You can select extra rinse cycle, ecomony wash, and soak cycles. It automatic selects the water level for the amount of clothes in the wash basket. It can become a little noisy doing the rinse cycle. But I can live with it, given the other good qualities of the machine.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Great washer overall. But the problem is with the energy saving low amount of water the washer uses. In order for stains to be removed, I must use a stain remover. The low water level, which is not adjustable, does not move the clothing around enough for a good washing for stained items. I found the items washed didn’t rinse enough, so everything I wash has to have an extra rinse. I do use the proper detergent for these machines and measure accurately. I love the hand wash cycle on this washer and use it regularly. I have had this washer for almost 11 years and have never needed any service. I will buy GE again. I hope the newer washers have improved water levels.

Get expert buying tips about Washers and Dryers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

My old washer was a GE that lasted 35 years until it finally quit. I bought a new GE. It has many features. My old one didn’t plus it’s quieter and spins out great. The clothes are almost dry so it takes less dryer time. I am no fond on the leaking lid because sometimes I use liquid detergent and like to put it in water before adding clothes. Now I add detergent and pour about a gallon of water to dissolve it. Most of the time I use pods. I just hope I get the long lasting service from this one as I did from my old one.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Great washer and dryer. My wife did not want to buy a front loading washer with bad reviews but you have to clean the front washer out about once a month and she finally figured out the reviews was not reliable when our stackable washer went out. That is why we bought the front loader because they are stackable.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I had a 5 year old expensive Whirlpool model with all the bells and whistles. It got to where it was constantly throwing codes, it was more to fix it than to buy another washer. I chose the GE because it has dial controls and an agitator at a very good price. I have had it for about 8 months and it does the job. I hope I get more than 5 years out of this one, but I spent less than half the price of the old washer I had.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

Purchased in April of 2019 and within 30 days the pump needed to be replaced. The washer is so loud, even the neighbors comment on the sound. GE admitted they have a noised issue and recommended their quiet pads to put under the feet. We purchased and installed them, but it made no difference.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2019

Guarantee Or Warranty Issues. Bought a new GE washing machine. After three months it stopped spinning. A GE REPAIRMAN CAME FOUR DIFFERENT TIMES, DECLARED IT FIXED, BUT IT WAS NOT. GE washer purchased 4/29/2019. It never worked correctly on bulk detergent dispenser. After three months it stopped spinning out water and clothes smelled terrible. Lowes sent a loaner for me because we couldn't get service in a timely manner. The repairman declared it fixed, but it wasn't. Someone came out 4 times, but the clothes came out grimy and with dirty streaks. GE said they would not try anymore because they said it was working as designed. Lowes wouldn't refund me for this "Lemon" because it was out of the 30-day return period but still within manufacturer's warranty. I argued with Lowes Headquarters, but they said it was my problem and they would not help me.

Finally, out of desperation, I purchased a Kenmore washer from Sears and it was delivered on September 13, the Friday before my sick husband went in the hospital with two massive subdural hematomas and subsequently died three weeks later. He was on home hospice and a washer was essential to keep him clean. The Sears machine has been great. Lowes and GE have been evil and selfish. I bought a lemon washing machine and they refused to refund or replace it, even though my extended warranty said "fix it fast or replaced free. "Their "policy" is you must return something within 30 days and after that it is under manufacturer's warranty for a year. The technicians they sent had bad attitudes and wouldn't even try to help me.

I am now a widow after a grueling, month long ordeal taking care of a dying man. They have no compassion for my dilemma, but my personal problems aside, they sold me a bad machine which broke after only three months. The GE "repairman" did not properly diagnose the problem and I was forced to buy another washing machine because GE would not stand behind their warranty, and Lowes would not help me either. Their idea of testing is to put it on a speed wash, but that doesn't illustrate the lack of cleaning by a defective machine. Last night I filed a complaint with the BBB against GE (I filed one on Lowes too, but they brushed me off as an irritant.).

11/20/2019 I received a call from Wendy ** from the Executive Offices of GE Appliances in Louisville, Kentucky in response to my BBB complaint. She says they will not refund my money because the “technician” says there is nothing wrong with the machine. She says it is probably my well water that is causing the problem, even though I told her I have a water softener system and a whole-house filtration system. I said that they only tested it on a “speed wash” and they couldn’t tell what the clothes were like after a full wash. She said “The technicians don’t have TIME to spend two hours waiting for a load of clothes to wash.” Apparently, it is my word against his and HE is the one they believe.

I have lived here 24 years and never had a problem with my water. Because GE only had one technician in my area, Lowes loaned me a Maytag for a month, which worked beautifully. I finally became desperate and bought a Kenmore from Sears. It works perfectly. All I want is a refund and to see GE and Lowes in my rear view mirror.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

I haven’t had this washer 3 years and had to call repair man. This $500 washer is going to cost over $700 to fix. This is my first and last time I will ever own a GE! I highly advise you to go elsewhere!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2019

10+ years ago, my husband sold appliances for a living and would never sell a customer a GE anything. Since that was over a decade ago, we decided to give this machine a go. BAD MISTAKE! Problems developed about 6 months after purchase, the machine started making odd noises, it wouldn't spin water out of large/bulky items. The repairman has been out 6 times, replacing everything possible but yet.... TODAY, it still won't spin/wash correctly. HE detergent residue left in the comforter ended up washing it twice. A load that should take 1:06, takes twice as long because the machine keeps trying to rebalance load and adds time back on the display. This has been the WoRST experience, what does it take to get this remedied??? DONT BUY GE - unless you are up for many, many calls without a permanent solution.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

The energy efficient only allows the washer to fill 1/2 of the tub which causes the clothes to get wrapped around the agitator! It tears them up because to have to PULL hard to untangle them and it causes permanent wrinkles. Doing heavy loads (sheets & towels) I have to go to the laundromat, or manually pour buckets of water in to cover the clothes. What you may save in energy you lose replacing clothes and linens.

GE Washing Machines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The same dedication to quality that GE puts into building products like jet engine turbines and wind towers goes into their washing machines. GE is an American symbol of industry that was ranked the 14th most profitable large firm in the United States and has even had employees that have won Nobel Prizes.

• Washer's with many features in one place: GE washers often offer Energy Star certification, stain removal settings, vibration control and an automatic precision dispensing system, all in one machine.

• Special offers: GE routinely features great deals on washers in its Special Offers section on their website, helping buyers connect with rebates, tax credits and special holiday sales.

• Washers that look great: Besides offering washers that fulfill nearly every customer's desire, GE washers also come in many colors and finishes, all the way from platinum to ruby red.

• Best for: People who want a washer that offers beautiful design, people who are energy conscious, families and professionals.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs