1.22/5
Based on 85 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a washer and dryer?

GE Washing Machines

Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experience
    Dissatisfied with the experience
    Satisfied with the experience
    Happy with the experience
    Would recommend to a friend
    Last updated: Feb. 19, 2018

1006 GE Washing Machines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I had to call three different times to get an appointment scheduled for when I could actually make it -- one person gave me a day that didn't work and told me to call again; the second said she scheduled an appointment but didn't; the third actually scheduled it. On the day of the appointment, I got a voicemail saying the technician was finishing up a job and would be at my place shortly. I called 2 hours later to learn that the technician didn't come because I hadn't answered the phone. (The message did not say I needed to call back to confirm.) I then spent an hour on the phone with Carly, a very nice and competent person in consumer affairs, who tried in vain to get me an appointment that same day (the technician said he couldn't fit me in, even though he was supposed to see me that day). Carly kindly offered to reimburse me for the costs of washing my clothes.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I bought this dryer and it was leaking gas, and shutting off in mid cycle less than 2 weeks after I bought it. I spoke with GE and they suck!!! I told them the gas company red flagged the dryer for leaking gas. They set me up an appointment with a technician a week later. On the morning of my appointment the tech called me and said that I needed a specific part and it wasn't available for 3 weeks. I asked how could he know this without looking at my dryer and he said he just knew. I told him I still wanted him to come out and look at it and he said, "Ok," but never showed.

When I called GE and asked them about why he didn't show they started making excuses and saying he needed a certain meter and now he was rescheduled and couldn't get back out to me. I also asked them if he knew what part I needed without coming out why didn't they tell me this a week ago and order the part instead of scheduling an appointment a week later and then telling me this. Pretty much wasting another week and making me lose a day of work. I finally spoke to another person at GE and she told me to exchange the appliance where I bought it. I spoke with Home Depot and they said it wasn't their policy (which I knew) and GE knew. I explained that GE had told me to call you knowing that Depot wouldn't exchange it. I am now waiting to see if Home Depot is able to get a tech out to look at my GE dryer.

The incompetence GE showed me I would never recommend another product from them EVER. I'm not saying their products are inferior, but, GE's customer service is atrocious. I felt I was patient in waiting a week for a tech. But to get a call and tell me he won't be coming and he knows what's wrong with my dryer over the phone is ridiculous. The fact that I wasted a whole day sitting at home and took a day off work infuriated me even more. Then speaking with customer service after being on hold for over 15 minutes and them telling me that the tech is correct when the knew for a week what was wrong made things even worse. So buyer beware when you get a GE product. Remember you don't just buy the product you buy the service and in my opinion GE's customer service is horrible.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

My husband purchased a G.E. washer and dryer for my 50th birthday and the washer is a lemon and dryer knobs are cheap. 4 repairs later and refusal to replace by Lowe's and G.E. on products still under warranty, I have decided they deserve 0 stars and will never buy their products again! Warranty is a joke also!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

My wife bought this GE GTW330bmkww Washing Machine in April, 2017 and have had serious shaking/agitation noise and movement. It also drains and spins sporadically. We have had two service calls and the technician indicated that we need to load it full and run on a delicate cycle to try to minimize the way it operates. I would not recommend this product to anyone and will likely end up junking this one and getting something that works.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

We purchased a top load model (#GTW460ASJ8WW) from Lowe's on December 31, 2017 and installed it the next day. It took a little getting used to, but we wanted a washer that we could manually set water levels. We have our own well, so water saving is not an issue. We managed to do four (4) loads of laundry before the machine stopped working. The fifth time we tried to use the machine it would simply pour water into the tub and drain it out. The tub cannot fill with water. We did all the troubleshooting and re-booting. Nothing worked. Worse, the "pause/stop" button function is dead. The only way to shut the machine off is to unplug it. This machine lasted 6 days. We wish we had seen the reviews on this site before buying. We are not going to bother with the warranty and trying to get it fixed as it seems that is just more wasted time.

We only have 14 days to return this lemon to Lowe's. The folks at our Lowe's are really nice. They offered to replace the unit - but why bother? If a new product from GE fails that fast, I want nothing to do with anything they make. From the other reviews on this site, our problem is not unique. Our old washer, a top loading GE from 2005 sits out back. It will be more cost-effective to have that machine rebuilt than to bother with anything made today. That old unit was a warrior.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

In October, amid the recent losses of two family members, my washing machine stopped working. Since I knew I would be flying back and forth to Charleston, IL for funerals and estate matters, I opted to go for the "sure bet" HOME DEPOT for my appliance needs. I opened a credit account with them which offered 0% for 6 mos., one-year "hassle-free" returns, and purchased a GE GTW330ASK (for help) 2WW. Home Depot delivered and installed the washer and from the moment I pushed "play/pause" on this machine the LOUD onslaught of troubles began. Before 90 days were over, it had completely stopped working. To add insult to injury, I placed a call for an appointment for repair with Erica for Tuesday, January, 2. I had to wait weeks!

Two days later I received another call from GE service canceling my appointment and asking ME what was "wrong with my washing machine". NOT being a professional appliance repairman, I could only reply that it does NOT work. To which the dispatcher placed an order for "a part" based on what I said (it's almost laughable as I write this except that I lived it) and informed me that the technician could not come till "the part arrived" and rescheduled for January 5th. The infamous "part" arrived the following day and was met with my call to a GE dispatcher for a technician to come ASAP. I was given back my original appoint date (January 2) at a later hour.

Two, not one, technicians came to my home. They plugged in a laptop and said the hot water was never turned on. HOME DEPOT delivered and installed the machine and tested it before leaving. This could not be possible having done "white" loads in the machine and my habit of rinsing the soap I dispense from the cup I used. The water WAS HOT... I don't know what your tech was vaping in the truck. I could have scripted the rest.

Needless to say, "the part" was NOT the right part... HOW COULD IT BE based SOLELY on my assessment and not a professional FIRST. After spending what was at least 30 minutes the lead tech declared that it was something else and I would have wait again to order the part and then have the tech come back again. Weeks of waiting produced NOTHING. This morning, sick with a cold, I spent the entire morning doing load after load of laundry at the nearby laundromat having just spent $450 for a brand new washing machine. UNACCEPTABLE! I have absolutely NO CONFIDENCE in GE products much less the technicians they dispatch to service them. It's almost unfathomable to think that after spending $450 for a washing machine that it breaks in less than 90 days.

I will never buy another GE product, which is unfortunate because they used to make GREAT THINGS! I will be returning this machine today to the Davie Florida store nearby. I do not want this in my home another minute. My hope was that HOME DEPOT would take care of its customers, ME, and honor the "hassle-free" return. I do NOT wish to spend 2018 with GE technicians fixing new appliances. This is a travesty.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

GE Profile Washing Machine (GTW680BSJ1WS) - Bought this washing machine back in Feb 2016, a couple months after owning it stopped spinning. Called GE and had a service tech come out and replace the main board and the sensor for the tub only after going back and forth. Meanwhile we were without a machine for almost 2 weeks. Now it's doing it again, and not spinning. Now I have to pay to get a 2 year old machine serviced. I would not recommend a GE washing machine at all and the customer service at GE is lacking. I ended up calling a local company directly and so far have received better service over the phone as GE was going to charge $100 just to have someone come out. For the price I paid 2 years ago I should not be having this issue, they need to have better parts, better warranties and way better customer service. Stay away from GE profile top loading washer machines, they aren't worth the hassle.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

Purchased on May 17, 2017 from Lowe’s a large capacity, heavy duty GE washer with extended warranty. The washer continually malfunctions and goes off balance. It cannot handle any kind of load without being thrown off balance. The washer is barely 6 months old and the repairman came in today to service it said he had to “update the sensors“ and replace the lid lock. He promised the machine should work now if I keep it on second rinse for all loads despite the fact that it’s advertised as energy efficient. I just washed a second load which consisted of one full size flat sheet, fitted sheet, and two pillowcases and the machine went off-balance again. Horrible machine and substandard repair service. Extremely disappointed!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

GE WASHING MACHINE GTW46ASJ0WW - DO NOT BUY THIS MACHINE. This is the worst machine I have EVER owned! It is loud, it shakes and bounces like a rocket ship taking off as soon as you wash bulkier items and if the machine is off balance - just shuts off without giving you the chance to re-distribute the items. The fabric softener dispenser leaks so that there are always spots of it all over your clothes. The water level sensor doesn't even put enough water to cover the clothes so they are never clean and after 2 YEARS I had to pay $400.00 to change the control board because it was malfunctioning (the machine would not stop running - turning on by itself in the middle of the night). DO NOT BUY THIS MACHINE!!!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

Bought this washing machine a week ago, it was installed yesterday, and if there's so much as one T-shirt in the drum, all the water drains directly into the floor. Customer service is crap, got the run around, got hung up on, got told it wasn't their problem, got told that they weren't responsible for products after they're sold, and that the warranty only covers until the end of business the day after purchase, or the day after delivery, or several other contradictory claims. Was forced to rush home to give them a serial number, then hung up on when I called back to give them the serial number, then told the serial number wasn't important when I called back again. Spent 10 hours on the phone with them, and have a technician scheduled to come take a look at it on Friday. Overpriced garbage, sold by a garbage company, with garbage customer service.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

I purchased GE Adora top loader washer model GHWN8355D0MC 2 years ago and the is basically a piece of garbage. It does not wash clothing and it actually gets it dirtier. I will never buy any GE product again.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

My daughter purchased a washing machine for my birthday 6/7/2016. I will never purchase a GE washing machine ever again. It has been a problem ever since. When GE repairman came out he didn’t fix the problem as it still isn’t wringing out clothes. I didn’t purchase extended warranty so I’m screwed. I never had a problem with my old Maytag in all the years that I owned a Maytag washer machine. None of my friends will ever purchase a GE washer again.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

Machine is only 2 years old and doesn't get clothes clean. Cycle times out - starts draining water and does not agitate. The only cycle that seems to work is soak cycle. I have read many reviews that say they have had service person come and try to fix but issues continue. At this point, simply going to buy a new washer. So, so disappointed in GE. Will NEVER buy one of their products again.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

My GE washer and dryer are probably 20 years old and still going strong. Purchased from Sears and have never has a problem with either one of them. They are not "cool" looking like new models but they take care of my needs very well.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

We purchased GE washer model no GTW460ASJ4WW and matching dryer. The dryer had to be repaired during the warranty period, but now this washer YOU WON'T BELIEVE HOW CHEAPLY MADE it is... Last night I tried to wash a microfleece blanket (you know how sleek this material is when wet). So all of a sudden I hear this loud noise while it was spinning. I paused the cycle and look inside. The "auger" which is the arm attached to the agitator was off flopping around! Come to find out these two parts are not one piece! There is an agitator is a basket bolted in the bottom and auger just screws on! With four L shape pieces that less than an inch in size, I have seen sturdier parts on model car kits! Thats the ONLY THING that screws this auger on and connects it! How cheaply made is that! I will NEVER PURCHASE ANOTHER GE APPLIANCE! Come on GE you need a new design team!!!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I bought a GE front load washer and a GE dryer from Lowe's in 2016. Only a year after purchase the Washer (GFWR2700HWW) is making a very loud noise (like an airplane taking off). I call GE and they said that they can only cover parts, but I would be responsible for labor and diagnostics service. Why would I want to pay hundreds of dollars for a 1 year old machine? It cost me $800 last year to buy it brand new. I had a Whirlpool for 10 years and It worked fine. I have an LG fridge that is 11 years old and it's still working like the day I purchased it, GE has bad products, they don't want to take responsibility for their faulty machines. I am never buying GE again and I will make sure none of my friends and family make the same mistake.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

My machine broke down around the 1st of October 2017. I called GE repair and they sent out a repairman. He has been out to replace parts 3 times since then and is scheduled to come out for a 4th visit after yet another part is ordered. I have been without a washing machine for a month. How long can this go on? My warranty will be up in January. Will they continue to replace parts until then and just cast me aside? So far they have replaced: The motor, transmission, agitator, clutch and electrical board. Now, they are going to replace the transmission again because maybe the first one they replace was defective? I will never, ever buy another GE machine again. I thought they were solid and reputable, but things obviously have changed. They are refusing to just give me another machine. I failed to mention that my machine is just 8 months old. Customers beware of GE's service department

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

Our GE Adora washing machine was purchased to replace the one we'd had for about 15 years. After about 9 months, it started making horrendous noise on spin cycle. This happens no matter WHAT cycle - delicate, jeans, whites, etc. I will NEVER purchase GE appliances again. We cannot even have a conversation while the thing is spinning. Terrible.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I am sitting at home and missed a day of work because the GE Appliance Repair Tech was to be here 10/24/17 between 8am to 12pm. I called the service number at 11:50am and they told me that they could not do anything until after 12pm. I called at 12:15pm and I was on hold for over 3 hours. Finally GE called and said that their tech could not make it and, "He has been trying to call you." I told GE that the tech didn't call my cellphone because I have been on hold with them for over 3 hours and I am still on hold with them on the other line. The other number that was on my ticket was my work number. You may ask yourself how is it that someone in their right mind who has an appointment at someone's home to repair their dryer would call their work number. I will let you know when I return to work tomorrow if the tech called me at work and what time if any!

This is totally unacceptable, unprofessional and dishonest as an organization. Also, the customer service rep that called me was just as bad because she told me that the tech said that he called me. She was adamant about the tech calling me. Why would I have stayed home and missed a entire day of work if I wasn't going to answer the phone? I rescheduled my appointment for Thursday 10/26/17 from 1pm to 5pm. By the way I just purchased the dryer on 9/9/17 and I have been without a dryer for over two weeks…what's another week. I would love for GE to give me a call about this situation! I am awaiting their call! I will let you know how the appointment goes on Thursday, 10/26/17.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

My 3 year old GE front loader died a couple of weeks ago. The service technician said the timer had failed and would need to be replaced. He informed me that he ordered the part and it should ship to my home in 3-5 business days. It never arrived so I followed up with GE. They told me that there was no record of a part being ordered. They ordered the part again and told me it should arrive in 3-5 day. Waited a week, still no part. Called yet again to complain but all they could do was contact dispatch and have someone call me. Never heard from them either. This has been a very frustrating experience. I'm without a machine for over 2 weeks and I have 3 kids! I will once again be inconvenienced by having to wait for another technician. I'm disappointed that the timer died after only 3 years and now dealing with an incompetent customer service team.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

The GE dryers (which I didn’t realize at time of purchase!) are all made with a “defect”! The inside of the door at top inside, is not smooth! There are many crevices that catch the clothes while drying and burn, tear, rip, and hold the clothing inside one of many crevices while the dryer is turning!!! Hundreds of my clothes, pillowcases etc. have been ruined!! I bought a new dryer today (not a GE!!), and I physically inspected each and every brand they had (6 different brands, 16 dryers!). EVERY SINGLE GE HAD THE SAME CREVICES INSIDE TOP OF DOOR!! NONE OF THE OTHER BRANDS... NONE are with ANY CREVICE!! Every single brand is smooth!!! All other brands besides GE are smooth inside top of door! GE owes me a refund and needs to recall all dryers and learn to make a dryer!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I purchased a new GE front load dryer from Lowe's in June 2017. Every time we used we smelled gas outside by the vent intermittently. Had the service tech out for it and of course the smell wouldn't show up. He gave some recommendations to reduce some elbows (8) in the exhaust as it was possibly exhaust smell but pipes clean and airflow strong. I know the difference between gas and the exhaust smell... As of today 10-13-17, we now are getting the exhaust smell. I've reduced the elbows in the rigid exhaust and find no lint buildup whatsoever. I'm baffled on how the smell could be happening if the ducts are clean and airflow strong unless it's built up in the dryer. Calling service tech again today. A new dryer shouldn't have these problems. Stay away from GE people.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

Bought Model GTW460ASJWW July 2016, impossible to keep it in balance. Sounds like a locomotive approaching in the spin cycle. If you select a delicate cycle for gentle laundry, hardly moves during wash cycle, but spins so hard you have to peel clothes off wall of machine. Purchased at Lowe's, called them first time shortly after purchase when it danced across floor and cut off. Explained the loud noise, and appliance rep stated "that's your government's fault". I am a nervous wreck every time I wash. Stand there during spin cycle holding each front corner and afraid it's going to come apart one day.

It seems you get no help from Lowe's once product is purchased. No more GE, no more appliances from Lowe's. Additionally, Lowe's printout of register receipt is so pale it will eventually fade and be unreadable. I made enlarged, darker copies for proof of my 3 year warranty purchased. It would be to Lowe's advantage to listen more carefully to customer complaints and attempt to help customer's resolve problems, and possibly not carry GE appliances.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

Bought the new washer (GTW460ASJ6WW) on 7-9-2017. Here it is 9/19/2017 and it won't work. I have to wait three weeks for a service call. I bought this at Lowe's and they will not help either since it is beyond thirty days. Why doesn't GE care about their reputation? Why would you not take care of a customer with a less than three month old machine that isn't working??? My advice do not buy GE if you want a company that stands behind their products.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

Within 7 mos the motor goes out on Hotpoint dryer that was purchased in Feb, 2017. (Aug 20) Serviceman puts in new motor. 3 weeks later, motor goes out again. Replaced with 2nd motor and it does not work. Another week later, still nothing. I was under the impression he was ordering another motor, but that did not happen. Serviceman expected 9/23/17. He won't have a motor so that means another week. Over a month and GE cannot repair dryer. I have requested a new dryer be delivered. No one will respond! Have talked to several people, but I am only referred to the Consumer Support phone # and I get nowhere with any of the GE personnel. Don't expect the big Corporation of GE to be of any assistance if you receive a product that is poor workmanship!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

I decided to buy a new washer and dryer because mine was 21 years old. I had to have a machine that has an agitator so, GE had a deal on and I bought the set... model number GTW460ASJ0WW... The first day it was delivered it leaked and would not work. Then it would not turn on at all. Called GE. They sent a repairman, who replaced the motherboard. Up to today I've had the machine almost a year and have had to call the repair guy in 8 times...

Damn machine has me so upset, washer fills with water and won't wash, won't drain. I have to bail out water with a milk jug. When it works hey it washes better than most but you don't even hardly have a chance to use the wash cycle! I hate this machine... Repair guy is coming again next week sometime, I am demanding a new machine this time. So sick of this and I'm easy on my machine, light loads, I'm single so I do 1-3 loads on weekends. I strongly advise that you not buy this machine. Spend the $2,000.00 or even $4,000.00 and get a proper set! I'll never buy GE again!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

Not thrilled with the GE Profile line but particularly the dryer that has been shedding its skin down to bare metal for a few years now... The washing machine that sits right next to it is fine. Just a very strange occurrence and shame on me for not addressing it with appliance paint etc...

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

I bought the GE Direct Drive with my new house. I have had no issues for 18 months. Repairman came in and found all screws holding the magnet to the could lose. One fell in and due to could going around damaged coil. A machine like this should not have issues after 18 months. GE has a serious quality control issue. Overall good washer that works well.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

GE and their products are definitely not what they used to be. We purchased top load washer GE GTWN4250DWH 2 years ago to replace the Kenmore which also used to be a good product in old days but not anymore. The reason we purchased it that it had good features and the water level that you can control yourself which is hard to find in these days (not sure why manufactures think if you just wet your laundry it will come out clean). The machine was working fine for the first year and after that the electronic board started to act up: sometimes it works on some cycles and sometimes it does not!

We called GE to see what can be done since machine is only 2 years old and in the past they used to last 10-15 years or even longer and of course we had been told since we do not have an extended warranty we are pretty much on our own. It's like they know that their products are junk after the first year or two and forcing you to buy extended warranty. First, we did schedule an appointment with GE to come and fix it but the more we thought how they do not stand behind their product and who knows what can break next we decided to cancel the service call and purchased Speed Queen top load washer that has great reviews and comes with 3 years manufacture warranty, I guess they do stand behind their product. Do not think we will be purchasing anything else made by GE.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I begin experiencing problems that I notice with my GE Top Load washing machine last year. When I notice little holes in my tops (blouses, tees, etc). I didn't realize how bad it was until an inspection of my clothing turned up this problem in the same spot, lower middle of the article. I googled this problem and I saw where I was not the only one experiencing it. I have had my machine for at least 5 years and I'm sure GE will not make any adjustments but I want other buyers to know what will happen if they purchase this machine, model # GTWN4250D0WS.

GE Washing Machines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The same dedication to quality that GE puts into building products like jet engine turbines and wind towers goes into their washing machines. GE is an American symbol of industry that was ranked the 14th most profitable large firm in the United States and has even had employees that have won Nobel Prizes.

• Washer's with many features in one place: GE washers often offer Energy Star certification, stain removal settings, vibration control and an automatic precision dispensing system, all in one machine.

• Special offers: GE routinely features great deals on washers in its Special Offers section on their website, helping buyers connect with rebates, tax credits and special holiday sales.

• Washers that look great: Besides offering washers that fulfill nearly every customer's desire, GE washers also come in many colors and finishes, all the way from platinum to ruby red.

• Best for: People who want a washer that offers beautiful design, people who are energy conscious, families and professionals.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

www.ge.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use