3.8/5 (398 ratings)

About GE Washing Machines

GE appliances come with a traditional warranty, but the company also offers extended coverage with a Service Protection Advantage plan from Assurant, GE’s authorized provider of extended warranties. The plan covers parts and labor for appliance repairs for an extended period. Customers pick and choose which appliances or systems need to be covered.

GE Washing Machines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Original review: July 15, 2021

GE GFW490RPK0RR Bought this Machine 3 years ago, was $1399. Biggest gripes: The tub clean would have to be done a few times a week or suds would build up, despite only using very small amounts of detergent. It would smell and it would fill up with suds if not cleaned. It almost always ran off balance and would bang or make noises. Often the machine would be blinking “Paused” I have no idea what that means. Clothes would come out of machine with rips and tears in them. This one puzzles me the most as I could not find any sharp edges anywhere. The soap dispenser intermittently would be found full of water, where you’d have to pull it out and drain it to put detergent into the cups. The door hinge is corroding severely

Recently the machine has been making unusually loud noises, then all of a sudden stopped working altogether. I found that the front outer drum, rear outer drum, had holes in them, and the bottom of the machine had these little steel balls lying on the bottom. I found that the balance ring had worn and spilled its contents, the balls. A quick look on GE’s site, for both balancing rings, the two tubs, the inner drum and seal will be around $800 not including labor. Needless to say, I won’t be putting money like that into this machine. In the end, I figured that it cost us $500 a year to do our laundry, not including the clothes we had to throw away. I’ve read that this problem has occurred in many other people’s machines. I’d suggest finding something else till GE gets this flaw figured out.

Original review: March 18, 2021

Washer will turn on by itself days after last usage. It agitates without water or laundry in it. Doesn't stop until I go through advised reset procedure. What if I were out of town when my washer decides to do this? Would my washer motor burn out? Would my washer catch fire? Laundry loads becomes unbalanced even after loading very evenly. Washer crawls across the floor until I manually stop it. No auto stop with uneven load. No more GE products in this home.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2021

This is a big beautiful front loading washing machine. However the motor runs (loudly) throughout the day and night on its own. It has caused an increase in our electricity bill. It is also very loud. The washer is in the basement, I hear it on the first floor, running when we are not washing clothes! We called GE and they sent someone out. He said it was normal. Apparently it needs to charge throughout the day. This seems ludicrous to me. I will call GE back, because I think the person they sent was either lazy or incompetent, but what a lot of trouble for a very expensive washing machine. I am very sorry I bought it and would advise you not to buy it.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2020

I moved in a brand new house where the contractor had all the equipment from GE, and when my Samsung washer died, I decided to buy the most reviewed and best rated GE Washer Model: GFW850SPNDG, Serial: VM321483N, which was purchased and installed by Home Depot on 3/25/2020, and the worst thing was Home Depot only gives you 48 hours to return if there is a problem or you don't like it, how in the world you can figure out that is 48 hours.

Anyways the first day after the technicians left we started doing the first load and after the wash was done we realized the clothes were soaking wet, the water did not extract completely. So, I thought maybe because I made a mistake or the load was too big, so for the the first week, we separated the towels and clothes and started putting 3/4 load and still the water would not extract at least 2 to 3 times a week, so I called the tech support and they dispatched a tech, and he could not find any error code on his laptop so he told us or try to teach us how to use the machine which we have been doing it for more than 35 years.

This kept going on and then due to COVID-19 my mother and my kids said we should not allow any stranger in our house so we stopped calling from April till now, and so far the machine has given us problems for more than 90 times, and it is getting very frustrating, so I started calling them again and last week the supervisor Starla said there is no way they will replace the machine, and it is not even a year and now they want to charge us trip charges and they cannot even fix the problem and are refusing to replace the machine. ANYBODY READING THIS MESSAGE IF YOU CAN HELP OR ADVICE WHAT SHOULD I DO PLEASE HELP.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2020

My GE dryer burst into flames. Two weeks later the washer. 3years old. Customer service is abusive and rude. After one year of parts and still not fixed. Then they were going to replace them with something. I gave them $1300 for a new washer dryer set. They sent the wrong ones and told me too bad $4599. They stole from me in parts repairs and I have a washer dry set they just dropped off and not the one I paid for. This set has no steam, no DETANGLE. My Blue heeler has seizures the noise from the tangled sheets and blankets towels. It goes BANG BANG BANG until I pull the dripping wet Items out and untangle them, put them back in and keep repeating until the load is done.

So now I am a slave to a dry that can't DETANGLE itself. I am donating to habit to humanity. I haven't had a washer and dry for over a year and spent $4599. All summer because of covid-19 I have to wash by hand and hang dry. It's cold and raining now and GE HAS MY MONEY. NOW ALL WINTER I WILL DO THE SAME IN THE KIDDY POOL I USED ALL SUMMER. THANKS GE.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2020

My wife and I moved into a new home three months ago. The house came with a brand new GE clothes Washer (Model GTW720BSN0WS). We have found that half the time we use the washer the spin cycle will end abruptly and not restart. We have to wring out our wash each time by hand. We used the warranty to call in service technicians twice. Both times they said that it is functioning 'as it should'. I placed a consumer complaint with GE and they said that they do not replace their products. This tells me everything I need to know about the product - they will not back it up. The washing machine is poorly built - and the company that built it does not care. I am extremely disappointed that a company of GE's stature will not back up its products. I will never buy a GE product again.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2020

Purchased new GE Washer, front end loading over 1 year ago. After running well for 11 months it stopped draining. Tech came and said filter needed cleaning, but I could see nothing in it. Then, twice after that, the machine has stopped draining and each time I paid >$100 for tech. Just stopped DRAINING again. This GE washer is a pile of junk, I recommend you never buy GE washers.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

My service to replace a washing machine less than a year old is not worthy of even one star. I went online to schedule a service call because, again, the washing machine was less than one year old and leaked water out of the machine all over the laundry room floor and down to the basement. I got an appt scheduled two days later. Only to be called by that actual service company that GE doesn't "know" their schedule, and it would be two weeks until they would come.

The service person found a hole in the tub, non-repairable, so we get a machine. He uploads the info to GE. GE will contact me. Well, no they didn't contact me. I had to call them. On hold forever, over an hour. I got assigned a case number and I got an email. I tried to respond to the email, but no response back to me. So I called....the longest wait times ever: Day one - 2 hrs 55 min; day two 2 hrs 40 min. Still no answer. Still no machine. Could take up to 7-10 days they say. No definite resolution and without a washing machine for over three weeks. Never, never ever will I buy anything GE. And shame on Lowe's for telling me they are great to work with. I couldn't be any displeased.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2020

Chewbacca is living in my GE Washer (Main Bearing Out). Machine is #GTWN7450H1WW. Has a born on date of April 2016 and started making the Chewbacca sound approx 2 years ago then stopped for no apparent reason and how now decided to start up again with the incredibly awful noise of the Main Bearing grinding. I'll be damned if I'll buy parts from GE to fix their crappy machine. I long for the good old days when a Whirlpool washer lasted 15-20 years, those days are sadly gone and I fear shall never return.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2020

I purchased this Hotpoint Washer in August of 2020. So happy to finally have a NEW washer. I chose it because I wanted a SIMPLE washer, no bells and whistles. Well, that joy was quickly deflated! This washer is so frustrating to use. No more throw in a load of wash and run out to the food market. Not with this machine. You have to be on alert for the load you CAREFULLY placed in the machine, is not unbalanced. Which happens often. You should weigh each piece to make certain it's okay! It's said to save water. Well, maybe, but each large load is so SMALL....I have to do more loads! So I don't see how it is saving me water. If I happen to get a load of wash with no glitches in the process, I go back and count how many pieces I had in that load, so I can copy it. BUT that doesn't work either. OMG...I HATE THIS MACHINE!!!! It's too sensitive. DON'T BUY.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2020

Had my dryer less than 3 months dead. Waited 2 weeks for tech to come out and tell me we needed to order a part. Part ordered did not arrive. Now it will be a month before it's fixed. 1 technician for our state. They are nice but go with a brand that executes their warranty better.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2020

When I wash my shirts & my husband's tiny holes are on the bottom of the shirts, it only happens on shirts nothing else. I use the recommended amount of soap & softener. I don’t understand why this is happening.

Original review: May 24, 2020

I have found GE products to very reliable and durable over the years. Their prices can be a little more than other brands but worth it in the long run. Reliability and durability makes the case for us.

Original review: May 24, 2020

Motherboard died after 8 years. The high humidity in Florida quite possibly could be a contributing factor. Claims large capacity for front loading machine but I do not agree. Also, did not seem to get clothes as clean as I like but adequate.

Original review: May 24, 2020

It is a good machine so far. We have had it for around 18 months. Our previous machine (Kenmore) died at 5 years. We were used to similar appliances lasting 15 years & were surprised when the repair tech told us they are now designed to last 5 years & that repair would cost the same amount as a new machine. We hope the GE machine will go longer than 5 years. The machine is a bit on the noisy side. Does a great job washing - much better than the previous one CD which did not have an agitator.

Original review: May 24, 2020

Our washing machine has been with us for almost ten years and I really love the features which make it look modern and easy to dump in a load when we're running late for something. It has been having problems recently but it still runs okay, with only a few hiccups but for a little over ten years, that's pretty good!

Original review: May 24, 2020

On our washing machine it has been very reliable up so far. We had some issues on putting too many or overload of clothes by our kids. Other than that it been good. We've would like more option as smaller loads.

Original review: May 24, 2020

I have noticed the clothes are cleaner than my old washer, it is somewhat noisy, gas several. Water levels and a precise option if you want just the right amount, one other option is Deep Fill for heavier loads. Has several material options also. I choose this style as it has the center agitator, most models did away with that option. Overall I like my choice, I purchased this in early 2019.

Original review: May 23, 2020

Stackable...I purchased the larger washing machine to be able to wash queen size bedding and it knocks the tumbler off balance. The rumbling is so loud. Otherwise, I like the machine. It’s served me over 10 yrs now.

Original review: May 23, 2020

28 Inch Front Load Washer with 4.9 cu. ft. Capacity, 13 Wash Cycles, 1250 RPM, Steam Cycle, Steam Assist, Time Saver Option, Sanitize Cycle, Energy Star in White. Overall this machine is top of the line. Purchasing a home appliance is like purchasing a vehicle. I took my time and reviewed and compared before purchasing. About 3 months. I had just purchased a home and so you want an appliance that is going to last. It has a 10 year warranty. It has 3 color options. It's cosmetically attractive. It also is elevated which is a smart choice for a basement machine in case you have issues with water in your basement.

I am pleased that is is an energy saver, water saver. It also has the larger drum and door. The machine has an inner light so you can see your clothes wash. My clothes come out clean and fresh. It has a timer that rings when the wash is finished. It has a feature to clean the machine. It has so many wash selections! There's too many features to talk about. My daughter loves to wash her clothes in this machine. I would definitely purchase another one, but with a 10 year warranty on the machine I will not have to purchase another one for quite sometime. This is absolutely the best appliance I have purchased yet, besides the matching dryer which I will also say top of the line! I wold recommend this machine as a smart purchase.

Original review: May 23, 2020

I have had my GE washing machine for over 5 years and I have had no problems with it thus far. It cleans my clothes, towels and sheets thoroughly without any problems. The features on it make it easy to follow and understand and simple to use. The durability of my washing machine is fantastic! I do at least 10 loads a week and it has never let me down.

Original review: May 23, 2020

Good washer with lots of options for quicker and more efficient cycles. Only issue is that as a front load washer, it is very hard to clean. I notice a mildew smell and stuff stuck around the seal and door often and it is hard to clean.

Original review: May 23, 2020

I have a 15 year old washer/dryer set that has worked consistently and it resides at a rental property. I purchased GE washer/dryer set for primary home 4 years ago and it's awesome. It's the level 1-2 steps above basic model and has enough settings to fit my needs (maybe more than I even use) such as pre-soaking, 4 settings for loads and much more. I would not purchase anything besides GE appliances. Very reliable and easy to interface with.

Original review: May 22, 2020

A Good Machine. A little pricey. I don't like that it locks during the wash cycle. Controls could be easier. Also, I think they could make it a little quieter. Overall a good dependable machine. I would buy again.

Original review: May 22, 2020

I love GE's washing machines front loader and it's excellent. I've never had to have them come out and four years to fix anything on it. Cleans very well and washes the clothes outstanding and it cleans up very easily when you clean it through the cycle that comes with the machine. It's relatively easy to understand as far as the button setup on there. I also liked that you get the echo warm in the Echo cold features along with the regular warm and cold. I did purchase the block that the time that I got it which helped out a lot is I'm 5 foot 10 and it's the perfect height. It helps getting stains out really easy as I have a nice here to play softball. I would definitely recommend this washer to anybody and everybody. I even wash my huge comforter for my bed in it and it washes it great every time.

Original review: May 22, 2020

I love my top loader machine. I have owned my machine for about 14 years and I have only had to replace the clutch on it. I thought of trading up to one of those front loaders like they have at the laundromat but I have heard they have a lot of issues so my trusty top loader has gotten me this far. So I think that's where I'll stay. Old Faithful....

Original review: May 22, 2020

We have used GE products such as a washing machine for many years. Because the products have worked very well for us, we will plan to purchase another one in a few months. I would recommend this products to my family and friends.

Original review: May 22, 2020

With this washer is has an agitator which you need to have in order to get clothes clean. It has everything I want for as Mount is how much water is needed, the temperature, what kind of load it is, what's your news extra anything and if it needs extra soaked. I find this washer exceptional.

Original review: May 22, 2020

I love the size of this tub. It can easily hold a comforter. And the wash station where you can rinse an item in the tub then let it soak. It also holds a large bottle of detergent and you just need to select the load size. I’m not sure how my washer being connected to my phone is going to help me as I’ll have to be there to place the clothes in the machine and I feel I’ll just go ahead and start it at that time. Who knows though.

Original review: May 21, 2020

The machine is so noisy when when shifting cycles. I think it is going to come apart. I have heard quieter farm machinery. It has very few features but that is what I wanted. It does not have a shut off feature if it gets out of balance - so you really need to be alert if you have a load of small rugs or large beach towels. It definitely is not a high-tech machine and is sort of "old style". Would not be for the the new generation - but I am 88 - live alone - and it is okay for me

GE Washing Machines Company Information