Protect what matters most

Protect yourself from the unexpected - Shop home warranty companies.

Protect my home
1.78/5

Protect what matters most

Protect yourself from the unexpected - Shop home warranty companies.

Protect my home

1129 GE Washing Machines Consumer Reviews

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

I will NEVER buy another GE washer. My mother, my daughter, a family friend and I ALL had the same horrific experience. The washer will fill, and fill, and fill until it overflows. You must push dial in to stop the flow of water then manually turn dial to rinse/spin and pray for the water to drain. Then you have to open the top/faceplate/control panel where there is a clear tube on the left. Unhook tube, BLOW into tube and it might work if you start a new wash cycle. Call GE to order the part connected to tube because that’s what’s bad, they REFUSE to help. Want to send a tech at $90 per hour. Won’t tell you part number. Won’t stand behind warranty.

Mine didn’t even last a year, my mother and daughter each started having problems at about the 14-month mark. Mind you, they each are single, live alone and do maybe two loads per week. My friend’s washer was 12 months old. I warn everyone of our experience. The floor under my washer had to be ripped up and replaced. What a nightmare. I have ALWAYS bought GE because being a major brand I assumed they would stand behind their appliances. Not true. Four washers ended up in the landfill/junkyard while they were still practically new.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

Makes a lot of noise. Noise I never heard on any other washing machine' sounds like it's starting and stopping. Skips cyles, and then you have to go back and start over again. Unable to stop, once you start, without starting over. It's only 2 years old.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I purchased a GE washer and drying from Home Depot only a couple of months ago, and I've already had so many issues with both. I had the washer replaced three times, because it did not work or came damaged. Now literally a couple of months later, the drying has stopped working. I called Home Depot, who got in contact with GE themselves somehow (because I was never able to get anyone on the phone using their 800 #) and scheduled to have a technician come in. The technician was very rude and had zero customer service skills or etiquette for that matter. As I tried asking questions about the condition of my dryer, I was having a conversation with the back of his head the entire time.

Before he walked out of my house and barely stated something about me having to wait for some part to be ordered, and then schedule for another technician to come at a later date to fix the dryer. Now I have to yet again deal with the inconvenience of having to drag bags of laundry to a public laundromat in the interim. They also claimed to have the part available and not on backordered or anything. However, they can't even expedite the service to my dryer so that I don't have to further go through any more inconvenience. I'm disgusted by the quality of their products and their lack of care for their customers. Therefore, I will NEVER purchase another GE appliance. I refuse to give this horrible company another penny of my money!!!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

We first had the top load Samsung without an agitator. The Samsung took an extremely long to wash and did a poor job. That washer was recalled for burning up so we purchased a GE top loader with an agitator. The less expensive GE machine cleans much better, but needs to be watched the whole time that the machine is running. This machine is definitely not insulated. This machine also seems to have a huge problem with the loads being unbalanced and when that occurs the machine makes VERY LOUD BANGING NOISES and literally walks across the floor.

The Samsung never became unbalanced. Dollar for dollar, I prefer clean clothes for a lower priced machine so I put up with the banging and adjust the loads. Each store that we went to also all had the same life for the new machines being 5-7 years. I do not buy the absolute cheapest model, but I refuse to pay the many thousands of dollars for the high-end machines with the bells and whistles. We were also told that it is smart to buy the insurance. Our last fridge only lasted 4 1/2 years.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I bought this from a local second-hand appliance store about 6 years ago. Have had 2 service calls which were not expensive. This is an upright washer and as long as I clean the basket every few months, performs very well.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

The GE Spacemaker stackable washer/dryer is the worst w/d I have ever had. The washer does an awful job at cleaning my clothes and the dryer isn't much better. Definitely run as fast as you can from these.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

We have had service on this less than 4-year-old dryer at least 4 times, three for the same issue. I hate it and will never recommend this brand to anyone. Our Amana washer is over 20 years old and we have had to service only once.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I have an older model, I like the fact you can leave it open and have water filling tank while adding clothes. I prefer to add water with the detergent first, then add clothes. It washes well, is quiet.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

The washing machine is very loud and can be heard outside. I have to use the large cycle setting on every wash because the other settings do not have enough water. It’s like either large load or extra small load. And there’s no auto dispense for fabric softener which is a hassle. Worse decision ever made to have this washing machine.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

Does not clean clothes; leaves stains so I re-wash multiple times; broke down twice within first month; bought at Home Depot; no returns! Thank goodness we bought the service plan! Do not buy this washer. Disappointing that it is shoddy American made.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

All the dial choices make you think you’ll have choices for the amount of water for your load. NOT! With all settings - except “Bulky” the machine fills with 4 to 6 inches of water. With “Bulky” it fills almost to the top. So... conserving water is a laugh - unless you only wash a couple items - in 4 inches of water. The only “go around” I’ve found is to start with the “Bulky” setting, stand & wait ‘til it fills to desired level then pause machine, change to any other setting, then I un-pause, it’ll wash at that level. Then - during the rinse cycle- do the same - pause - switch to “Bulky” wait for desired water level to fill - pause- switch to another cycle - un-pause. How convenient is that!

This is not a great machine for anyone washing more than some socks & shirts. If the idea is to save water- then they’re fooling no-one- extra loads to complete your laundry or completely filling the machine each time is not efficient - for the user anyway. The one positive feature I can offer is it spins dry the clothes very well - not using the dryer for very long - that’s a plus.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

Clothes come out all tangled and some inside out. Others I find socks or underwear in sleeves. Darks will come out with white silt on them even though they have been rinsed twice. Wish I had the old fashioned agitator machine that washed clothes clean. My old GE did a much better job. I am 90 years old so have had a lot of different brands of washers. Cost of this one was about 700 on sale.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

We bought a GE washer and a GE dryer in April 2015. Both stopped working beyond repair by February 2018 and had to be replaced. The lifespan was less than three years for both. The GE repairman only came to our area once a week and was booked three weeks out. Therefore, each time a machine broke, it took us three weeks to find out that the cost to repair it was about the same value as buying a new one which is what we did.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

Washer is supposed to service very large loads, but because the drum is so wide, not enough water fills to do those. Other than that, does a good job cleaning even on 'light.' Spins clothes quite dry so the dryer can dry most things in 20 min.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

Absolutely the worst washing machine I have ever purchased. Continually went out of balance on loads that were not overloaded ie (four towels). Complained to GE two or three times. They finally sent some rubber pads to install under washer feet to help keep washer from dancing across floor. They advised they had designed the washers to spin at 800 revolutions per minute instead of 400 as their method of spinning more water out of clothes. This increase in the RPMs is primarily responsible for the problem. Prior to this purchase I had never even contacted a Washer Mfg for any problems. Their solution (the pads) although helpful have not prevented the problem. Very poor engineering as well as customer service. Keep in mind I am 70 years old and have had at least six or seven other washers in the last 50 years. This is like Goodyear deciding an oval tire would be a great idea.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

GE Washing Machine Model GTW485ASJ1WS. Machine broke down 3 times in 2 years & its broken down again. This machine is nothing but trouble. Too much hi-tech for a washer. If you need a computer to inform you that your washer isn't working and after you figure out the code {or call GE} the message is call a repairman? The repairman informs you cost of repair is around $300.00. And if doesn't get her going of course they would be extra fees for any more parts plus labor. And he also informs me that is fee for 2-day is $100.00. Remember the machine has broken down 3 times before and its new replacement cost is under $600.00 Now you must decide. I can't express myself online what come out of my mouth. No matter what you decide I wish you good luck. Cause no one should have to go thru this.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

Cleans very well. I only use the deep fill option on the washer. The dryer works great on any setting. The washer spins the water out better than any that I have ever seen. Purchased on sale at Home Depot. Excellent value for the money.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

It is new, working well, washes nicely, can soak to get put stains. It is bought on lease. I recommend trying to lease over time. It has a deep rinse so clothes are fresh and not stained with softener.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Great washer and dryer. My wife did not want to buy a front loading washer with bad reviews but you have to clean the front washer out about once a month and she finally figured out the reviews was not reliable when our stackable washer went out. That is why we bought the front loader because they are stackable.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Twists up the clothes. Loud - I can hear it upstairs. It has a deep washer and not convenient for me. Larger than I expected. Regular wash doesn't drain water. I use heavy settings. Would not buy again.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

The top loading GE washer and dryer we purchased replaced a Whirlpool set that we had for many years. Everything is good with the new washer/dryer except that the water level does not fill enough to cover the amount of laundry that the large washer has capacity for. I need to run a sink hose in the machine along with the autofill to get the water level up to where it covers the laundry. The rinse cycle requires the same attention. End up having to run a second rinse to make sure all the soap is out of the laundry. Why make a large deep high capacity washer with and not provide the water level to wash that amount of laundry properly?

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

The washer cleans well, it is just very noisy. The washer has many options. Some of the options perform better than others, but the spin cycle for all options is very noisy. I would prefer a deeper water level as well. Even the max level is only about 2/3 full.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

Not so sure that these lower water washers actually live up to their advertising. Our experience is that one must use more water than instructed to get your washing clean. One cannot say much about the dryer as it seems to do a good job of drying the clothes.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

Sheets always get twisted together during wash and rinse. Have to stop washer and untangle and balance load. If you don't, the sheets will tear. Have to wash soiled clothes more than once, even when pretreat. Timer has been replace because didn't spin out all of water. I always turn rinse when I wash, so I can put my Downy in when I want. With the rinse off, it will sometimes go through a rinse cycle. Like being able to fill on "Deep Fill".

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

The GE washer with the agitator which we purchased does a better job than the Whirlpool or Maytag which we had. The clothes are much cleaner looking and the washer capacity is large. Love it. The dryer works faster than the others we had and the capacity holds king size bedding easily.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

Purchased new Washer and dryer, company delivered the units but could not installed. Told me they will come back the next day to install. Called the company to find out when would my appointment be and was hung up. They never scheduled the installed. Had to go through hoops just to get the installation appointment for the week after the delivery.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

We bought a GTW460ASJ9WW top-loading washing machine on in November 2018. We were told about the new "features", which include not putting as much water in the washer and not as quiet as our old GE profile washer. I can deal with the water issue by adjusting the water level. However, it's noisier than the old washer, and the old one needed a new transmission. It is extremely noisy. It dances all over the floor, no matter whether it's loaded with a lot of clothes or a few. It sounds like a helicopter taking off when it goes into the spin cycle.

Today, when I opened it after the spin cycle, I literally could wring water out of the blanket and towel that were in it. It did not spin the water out as it should have. Additionally, when it does spin the water out, the clothes are extremely wrinkled. As far as I am concerned, it is a piece of junk. I wish I had spent the money to repair my old washer. As soon as I get enough money to replace this one, it is leaving our house. The repairman is coming out to look at it, but I've been told there's probably nothing they can do. As a result of this experience, GE has lost me as a customer. I wonder if the CEO of GE has to put up with this kind of quality. I rated it as one star, but I'd rate this machine as a negative star if that was an option.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I was like a 5 yr old at Xmas when I finally could buy my first new washer and dryer. It's been 7 months and the washer is not washing. I'm so upset. It sounds like it's filling up with water but when you look because it sounds funny washing. There's no dang water in it. Someone's coming out in 5 days and I pray he don't have to order parts.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

So I bought the GE washer from Lowe's in April 2018. I've had 3 control panels replaced. Now, 3rd party GE authorized repair dealers refuse to come back. They are telling me that GE tech line is telling them the machine is working? No one has been here over the current problems. The Bulky, Jean's and activewear settings are dead, will not work and now the machine will fill with cold water only. I'm starting to think they are afraid of losing their GE contract. What's far worse is GE tech line making false statements, because no one has been here for these recent problems. I don't know what game GE is playing at but as far as I'm concerned these 3rd party companies nor GE will get away with it! The washer worked for the first 5 months. Now every time I turn around it's something else. I filed a complaint with the Attorney General's Office for refusal to make a service call on a washer that is under warranty, and for making false statements.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

Updated on 03/31/2019: Okay, back in January, I was told that they would send me a $50 check for my troubles. Tomorrow will be April 1 and still no check. I have responded to their original email (Teresa at customer service) and they have sent an auto-response telling me that a representative will get back to me soon. I've gotten three of these and yet, no one ever contacts me. Yeah...no check. So, not only is the product a large piece of garbage, but Customer Service will also lie to you by making promises and not fulfilling them. I don't care about the $50 but not it's a matter of principle. I won't let this go. GE... You really do suck.

Original Review: The washer, a G/E, purchased in June of 2017, was spewing oil into the tub during the cycles. We noticed it last month (Dec. 2018) but thought that maybe it was just something mixed in with the laundry. Nope. We called G/E yesterday and she immediately said: "Oh, that sounds like the bearings, we get a lot of calls about that." She then said, "Unfortunately, your washer is out of warranty." Wait! It's only 18 months old, the bearings are shot and G/E knows about this but yet there is no recall? Nope! So, $99 for the service call plus parts and labor so probably around $400 to get it fixed.

On January 10, I received a call from Customer Service who told me that the person I spoke with would get more training. She also sent me an e-mail with a synopsis of our conversation: "Thank you for contacting GE Appliances with your concerns. I am with Consumer Relations and am happy to help you with your washer. I know that I too would feel upset if my 18-month-old washer was having issues. It was nice speaking with you. I sincerely regret that you already replaced the unit due to poor customer service.

Because we at GE Appliances do understand your frustration, I am empowered to send you a $50 check for lunch on GE Appliances. Please verify your mailing address and I can get that submitted. You stated that you still have the current unit. If you choose to have it repaired and sell it, we will still cover the cost of parts. You would be responsible for the home call fee and all labor. The tech would give you labor pricing when he has examined the unit." So... they are willing to provide this low-cost part but I still have to pay for the service call, diagnostics, and the repair. Yeah, no thanks. Amazing how they think a check for $50 and a $20 part would resolve the problem. They need to do a recall!

GE Washing Machines Company Information