GE Washing Machines

GE Washing Machines Reviews

Overall Rating1.1 out of 5

About GE Washing Machines Reviews

GE appliances come with a traditional warranty, but the company also offers extended coverage with Bodewell Care Protection Plans. Backed by Assurant, GE’s authorized provider of extended warranties, these plans cover parts and labor for appliance repairs after the manufacturer’s warranty expires. You can pick and choose which appliances or systems to cover.

GE Washing Machines Reviews

ConsumerAffairs has collected 1,301 reviews and 643 ratings.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Service Contracts?

Reviewed Dec. 4, 2022

I moved to home that had GE stackable washer/dryer. My first load of laundry I opened machine and noticed clothes weren't all wet. Upon further review I noticed washing machine only puts a couple of squirts of water in. I have to use a bucket every time I do laundry to add enough water that clothes get wet. Tried pre soak, same thing. Couple squirts of water only and that's called soak? I am all for saving water but having to manually fill my washing machine in 2022??? I am glad I brought my old machine with me when I moved. Now just have to find a plumber. This stackable will be free at curbside soon.

Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupPunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Oct. 14, 2022

My new washer stopped filling all the way. I have tried to get repair service for 3 weeks. My appointment is made then canceled without any notification. When I call to find out why no one showed up. They have no record of appointment being made but they shipped parts to me. I will never buy a GE appliance again.

Reviewed Sept. 22, 2022

This washer was installed by Home Depot. It worked okay for about a year, after the year passed it began declining. On the second year mark, it completely stopped working. GE offers limited warranty and it’s for a year or less, after that you’re on your own. We paid $107 just for diagnostics, we were then quoted $499 just for the part that needed replacement, after labor our bill was supposed to be at about $700 - $900. Just after 2 years of use. We opted to buy a new one instead of repairing this. A day after we replaced this washer, the matching dryer stopped working. Another expense after two years of owning this brand we are left with nothing and no help from GE.

Customer ServiceReliability

Reviewed Aug. 17, 2022

I purchased a 2022 washer from GE.MODEL#GFW650SPN2SN. Called and a installation person came, he informed me nor unbalanced but defective. Called GE, they sent a service repair person and he informed my motor and a number of other parts were defective. GE answer to this was to repair, to me that means they are going to refurbish my washer. I paid full price, if I would bought refurbished I could have saved a lot of money. Now GE service company is telling me parts are on back order for at least 5 weeks. GE said they were going to search for parts. Should take at least 5 business days. Meanwhile my washer was delivered in June and I am still without a washer. Today is August 15.

My recommendation would be for anyone searching for a washing machine, to look past the bells and whistles and go with another brand. I bought Samsung 4 door refrigerator with all bells and whistles and it works beautiful. I will not, for my own sanity deal with GE again. Dealing with that company is like pulling teeth. Thought I needed to share, maybe save another consumer from the horrible experience I am going though. Good luck consumers, it is a very harsh world out there.

Reviewed April 29, 2022

I purchased a GE washing less than 2 years ago at Lowe's. GE model #GTW465ASN1WW and have had a repair guy out here twice already. The machine doesn’t spin the clothes completely and they are dripping wet at the end of the cycle. Repair guy today said the control board needs replacing and it could take up to a month to get the part. Two repairs in less than two years. I would highly advise against purchasing this washer. My next washer will NOT be a GE. I would have put this review on GE’s site, but couldn’t find where they have a site for reviews.

Reviewed April 16, 2022

Purchased a GE washer dryer combo from Hamai Appliance in Kahului, Maui less than 3 years ago. Light use 2-3 loads a week as it's just my wife and I. Took extreme care to not overload or run unbalanced load. Unit still LOOKS brand new but the motor is shot, repairman says parts and labor will cost as much to repair as replace. Neither GE or Hamai Appliance will make good in any portion of the $1300+ purchase which didn’t even last 3 years. I will never purchase any GE product again or any product from Hamai Appliance in Maui

Reviewed Feb. 22, 2022

I have had a full size, front loading washing machine for just over a couple years. We don't use it much as we have two sets in the home. Needless to say, it broke and can't be fixed for less than the cost of a replacement. I have the way GE treated us and will never buy a thing from them again. They are made of cheap parts and break long before they should..

Coverage

Reviewed Feb. 16, 2022

Sorry I cannot recommend. Washer ties sheets in ropes with clothes often inside rope. Agitator holds water which builds mold and rust on bottom bolt. Had one replaced before it was a year old. Have to add more water as recommended levels barely cover clothing. Have to leave top open after use to dry out and buy cleaner to clean washing machine. Never had to do that with my 16 year old machine of another brand. Even with cleaner I get black mold chips or black globs on the clothes. Dryer filter seldom full as everything seems to go to the outside vent. Have to clean the outside vent about once a week. Why?

Verified purchase
Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed Jan. 15, 2022

I want to share my agonizing experience with GE. Here’s my story. I have been without a washer from 12/5/2021 to current. I purchased a new GE washer/dryer GUD24ESSMWW in 6/2021. In 12/2021 the washer stopped working. I contacted GE as the appliance is under manufacturer warranty, GE referred A&E appliance. At the 2nd visit, A&E tech said the motor had to be replaced. I requested for the washer/dryer be replaced but was denied. I considered the appliance to be a lemon.

Three weeks went by, I contacted GE and complained that A&E failed to return my calls and emails. Per GE, my repair was reported as completed. Appalled, I told GE that A&E did not return to replace the motor. GE would not listen to me, to make matters worse, GE said the matter was out of their hands. As the consumer I expected GE to resolve the issue to my satisfaction. On the contrary, the 3rd GE person I spoke to pacified me by arranging an appointment with another vendor.

I did not trust GE so I called the new vendor to confirm the appointment. This vendor was not accepting new repair requests. I sent an email to the email address provided by the GE customer rep. You guessed it, the email returned as undeliverable. If GE was concerned, they would have contacted me. I highly recommend GE management playback the phone calls between customers and their representatives. I am boycotting all GE products, you should too.

PriceStaff

Reviewed Jan. 14, 2022

I purchased my GE Washer at Hahn Appliance Warehouse in OKC. It has been an extremely disappointing experience all the way around. This thing thumped and bumped so loud I knew something was wrong. After 3 months the balance rods had to be replaced. It still made a lot of noise. Then the balance rods were replaced again. After 1 week the buzzing, ticking and thumping were so loud you could hear it in the street, and the agitator would not turn. The repairman came again and said the bolt had come off the bottom and the motor had chewed itself up to the point it all had to be replaced.

Now I am looking at a 4th week in a row with no washer. GE refused to replace the machine and will only repair it again. This is a 6 month old washer. It was not cheap. I can't do my laundry and I'm sorry, but during covid that's just a health hazard. Please, do yourself a favor and do not buy things from this formerly trustworthy brand. They will not help you.

Staff

Reviewed Jan. 7, 2022

Bought a 5.2 top loader to do large loads. Will not spin out. Repair guy came out twice and did not know how to fix it. We can only do 1/3 of a load and even then does not usually spin out a load. Have to take out half and spin it out. Terrible investment. Will never buy GE again. Would give negative stars if I could. Buyer beware!

Customer Service

Reviewed Dec. 22, 2021

Purchased a front load washer from GE and after 14 months the washer started making incredibly loud banging noises on spin cycle. Called GE and was told they would only send someone out to inspect. Upon inspection- found drum broke and needed replaced. 1700$ in parts quoted, and GE will do nothing to stand behind their product. Very let down. Will never purchase another GE appliance.

Installation & Setup

Reviewed Nov. 2, 2021

The dark clothes come out of the washer dirtier than when they went in. I have resorted to wash the clothes first with soap then wash and rinse in another full cycle. I have read the instruction very carefully and they are useless.

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed Oct. 21, 2021

I bought a GE top loading washing machine Model # GTW460BMMWW. I had an issue with its performance and it took months to try to repair the machine, lastly the company replaced it with a new one after much deliberation. This new washer lasted a couple months and it completely quit working. A work order was produced and a repair technician was to come in THREE weeks! Long story short, the company's repair technician came, asked a couple questions, without examining the washer determined that my basement was too damp and therefore dampness was the issue and the repairs too extensive. So I was denied any repair or any compensation with a washer that was still under warranty.

The repair technician's report was requested and was ignored by the company's representative (Maria) after many emails. She (Maria) told me to try it in another location with less moisture (like I have multiple washer outlets throughout my home). If the product, which operates with water, cannot operated in a basement I would think the package would come with a warning not to be installed in a basement. One very unsatisfied customer!

Reviewed July 15, 2021

GE GFW490RPK0RR Bought this Machine 3 years ago, was $1399. Biggest gripes: The tub clean would have to be done a few times a week or suds would build up, despite only using very small amounts of detergent. It would smell and it would fill up with suds if not cleaned. It almost always ran off balance and would bang or make noises. Often the machine would be blinking “Paused” I have no idea what that means. Clothes would come out of machine with rips and tears in them. This one puzzles me the most as I could not find any sharp edges anywhere. The soap dispenser intermittently would be found full of water, where you’d have to pull it out and drain it to put detergent into the cups. The door hinge is corroding severely

Recently the machine has been making unusually loud noises, then all of a sudden stopped working altogether. I found that the front outer drum, rear outer drum, had holes in them, and the bottom of the machine had these little steel balls lying on the bottom. I found that the balance ring had worn and spilled its contents, the balls. A quick look on GE’s site, for both balancing rings, the two tubs, the inner drum and seal will be around $800 not including labor. Needless to say, I won’t be putting money like that into this machine. In the end, I figured that it cost us $500 a year to do our laundry, not including the clothes we had to throw away. I’ve read that this problem has occurred in many other people’s machines. I’d suggest finding something else till GE gets this flaw figured out.

Reviewed March 18, 2021

Washer will turn on by itself days after last usage. It agitates without water or laundry in it. Doesn't stop until I go through advised reset procedure. What if I were out of town when my washer decides to do this? Would my washer motor burn out? Would my washer catch fire? Laundry loads becomes unbalanced even after loading very evenly. Washer crawls across the floor until I manually stop it. No auto stop with uneven load. No more GE products in this home.

Reviewed Jan. 29, 2021

This is a big beautiful front loading washing machine. However the motor runs (loudly) throughout the day and night on its own. It has caused an increase in our electricity bill. It is also very loud. The washer is in the basement, I hear it on the first floor, running when we are not washing clothes! We called GE and they sent someone out. He said it was normal. Apparently it needs to charge throughout the day. This seems ludicrous to me. I will call GE back, because I think the person they sent was either lazy or incompetent, but what a lot of trouble for a very expensive washing machine. I am very sorry I bought it and would advise you not to buy it.

Reviewed Nov. 28, 2020

I moved in a brand new house where the contractor had all the equipment from GE, and when my Samsung washer died, I decided to buy the most reviewed and best rated GE Washer Model: GFW850SPNDG, Serial: VM321483N, which was purchased and installed by Home Depot on 3/25/2020, and the worst thing was Home Depot only gives you 48 hours to return if there is a problem or you don't like it, how in the world you can figure out that is 48 hours.

Anyways the first day after the technicians left we started doing the first load and after the wash was done we realized the clothes were soaking wet, the water did not extract completely. So, I thought maybe because I made a mistake or the load was too big, so for the the first week, we separated the towels and clothes and started putting 3/4 load and still the water would not extract at least 2 to 3 times a week, so I called the tech support and they dispatched a tech, and he could not find any error code on his laptop so he told us or try to teach us how to use the machine which we have been doing it for more than 35 years.

This kept going on and then due to COVID-19 my mother and my kids said we should not allow any stranger in our house so we stopped calling from April till now, and so far the machine has given us problems for more than 90 times, and it is getting very frustrating, so I started calling them again and last week the supervisor Starla said there is no way they will replace the machine, and it is not even a year and now they want to charge us trip charges and they cannot even fix the problem and are refusing to replace the machine. ANYBODY READING THIS MESSAGE IF YOU CAN HELP OR ADVICE WHAT SHOULD I DO PLEASE HELP.

Reviewed Nov. 9, 2020

My GE dryer burst into flames. Two weeks later the washer. 3years old. Customer service is abusive and rude. After one year of parts and still not fixed. Then they were going to replace them with something. I gave them $1300 for a new washer dryer set. They sent the wrong ones and told me too bad $4599. They stole from me in parts repairs and I have a washer dry set they just dropped off and not the one I paid for. This set has no steam, no DETANGLE. My Blue heeler has seizures the noise from the tangled sheets and blankets towels. It goes BANG BANG BANG until I pull the dripping wet Items out and untangle them, put them back in and keep repeating until the load is done.

So now I am a slave to a dry that can't DETANGLE itself. I am donating to habit to humanity. I haven't had a washer and dry for over a year and spent $4599. All summer because of covid-19 I have to wash by hand and hang dry. It's cold and raining now and GE HAS MY MONEY. NOW ALL WINTER I WILL DO THE SAME IN THE KIDDY POOL I USED ALL SUMMER. THANKS GE.

Reviewed Nov. 5, 2020

My wife and I moved into a new home three months ago. The house came with a brand new GE clothes Washer (Model GTW720BSN0WS). We have found that half the time we use the washer the spin cycle will end abruptly and not restart. We have to wring out our wash each time by hand. We used the warranty to call in service technicians twice. Both times they said that it is functioning 'as it should'. I placed a consumer complaint with GE and they said that they do not replace their products. This tells me everything I need to know about the product - they will not back it up. The washing machine is poorly built - and the company that built it does not care. I am extremely disappointed that a company of GE's stature will not back up its products. I will never buy a GE product again.

Reviewed Oct. 29, 2020

Purchased new GE Washer, front end loading over 1 year ago. After running well for 11 months it stopped draining. Tech came and said filter needed cleaning, but I could see nothing in it. Then, twice after that, the machine has stopped draining and each time I paid >$100 for tech. Just stopped DRAINING again. This GE washer is a pile of junk, I recommend you never buy GE washers.

Reviewed Oct. 21, 2020

My service to replace a washing machine less than a year old is not worthy of even one star. I went online to schedule a service call because, again, the washing machine was less than one year old and leaked water out of the machine all over the laundry room floor and down to the basement. I got an appt scheduled two days later. Only to be called by that actual service company that GE doesn't "know" their schedule, and it would be two weeks until they would come.

The service person found a hole in the tub, non-repairable, so we get a machine. He uploads the info to GE. GE will contact me. Well, no they didn't contact me. I had to call them. On hold forever, over an hour. I got assigned a case number and I got an email. I tried to respond to the email, but no response back to me. So I called....the longest wait times ever: Day one - 2 hrs 55 min; day two 2 hrs 40 min. Still no answer. Still no machine. Could take up to 7-10 days they say. No definite resolution and without a washing machine for over three weeks. Never, never ever will I buy anything GE. And shame on Lowe's for telling me they are great to work with. I couldn't be any displeased.

Reviewed Oct. 9, 2020

Chewbacca is living in my GE Washer (Main Bearing Out). Machine is #GTWN7450H1WW. Has a born on date of April 2016 and started making the Chewbacca sound approx 2 years ago then stopped for no apparent reason and how now decided to start up again with the incredibly awful noise of the Main Bearing grinding. I'll be damned if I'll buy parts from GE to fix their crappy machine. I long for the good old days when a Whirlpool washer lasted 15-20 years, those days are sadly gone and I fear shall never return.

Reviewed Oct. 7, 2020

I purchased this Hotpoint Washer in August of 2020. So happy to finally have a NEW washer. I chose it because I wanted a SIMPLE washer, no bells and whistles. Well, that joy was quickly deflated! This washer is so frustrating to use. No more throw in a load of wash and run out to the food market. Not with this machine. You have to be on alert for the load you CAREFULLY placed in the machine, is not unbalanced. Which happens often. You should weigh each piece to make certain it's okay! It's said to save water. Well, maybe, but each large load is so SMALL....I have to do more loads! So I don't see how it is saving me water. If I happen to get a load of wash with no glitches in the process, I go back and count how many pieces I had in that load, so I can copy it. BUT that doesn't work either. OMG...I HATE THIS MACHINE!!!! It's too sensitive. DON'T BUY.

Reviewed Aug. 25, 2020

Had my dryer less than 3 months dead. Waited 2 weeks for tech to come out and tell me we needed to order a part. Part ordered did not arrive. Now it will be a month before it's fixed. 1 technician for our state. They are nice but go with a brand that executes their warranty better.

Reviewed Aug. 10, 2020

When I wash my shirts & my husband's tiny holes are on the bottom of the shirts, it only happens on shirts nothing else. I use the recommended amount of soap & softener. I don’t understand why this is happening.

Reviewed May 24, 2020

I have found GE products to very reliable and durable over the years. Their prices can be a little more than other brands but worth it in the long run. Reliability and durability makes the case for us.

Reviewed May 24, 2020

Motherboard died after 8 years. The high humidity in Florida quite possibly could be a contributing factor. Claims large capacity for front loading machine but I do not agree. Also, did not seem to get clothes as clean as I like but adequate.

Reviewed May 24, 2020

It is a good machine so far. We have had it for around 18 months. Our previous machine (Kenmore) died at 5 years. We were used to similar appliances lasting 15 years & were surprised when the repair tech told us they are now designed to last 5 years & that repair would cost the same amount as a new machine. We hope the GE machine will go longer than 5 years. The machine is a bit on the noisy side. Does a great job washing - much better than the previous one CD which did not have an agitator.

Reviewed May 24, 2020

Our washing machine has been with us for almost ten years and I really love the features which make it look modern and easy to dump in a load when we're running late for something. It has been having problems recently but it still runs okay, with only a few hiccups but for a little over ten years, that's pretty good!

GE Washing Machines Company Information