Save on Appliance Repairs

With the Best Home Warranty

Compare Quotes

1121 GE Washing Machines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

All the dial choices make you think you’ll have choices for the amount of water for your load. NOT! With all settings - except “Bulky” the machine fills with 4 to 6 inches of water. With “Bulky” it fills almost to the top. So... conserving water is a laugh - unless you only wash a couple items - in 4 inches of water. The only “go around” I’ve found is to start with the “Bulky” setting, stand & wait ‘til it fills to desired level then pause machine, change to any other setting, then I un-pause, it’ll wash at that level. Then - during the rinse cycle- do the same - pause - switch to “Bulky” wait for desired water level to fill - pause- switch to another cycle - un-pause. How convenient is that!

This is not a great machine for anyone washing more than some socks & shirts. If the idea is to save water- then they’re fooling no-one- extra loads to complete your laundry or completely filling the machine each time is not efficient - for the user anyway. The one positive feature I can offer is it spins dry the clothes very well - not using the dryer for very long - that’s a plus.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

Clothes come out all tangled and some inside out. Others I find socks or underwear in sleeves. Darks will come out with white silt on them even though they have been rinsed twice. Wish I had the old fashioned agitator machine that washed clothes clean. My old GE did a much better job. I am 90 years old so have had a lot of different brands of washers. Cost of this one was about 700 on sale.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

We bought a GE washer and a GE dryer in April 2015. Both stopped working beyond repair by February 2018 and had to be replaced. The lifespan was less than three years for both. The GE repairman only came to our area once a week and was booked three weeks out. Therefore, each time a machine broke, it took us three weeks to find out that the cost to repair it was about the same value as buying a new one which is what we did.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

Washer is supposed to service very large loads, but because the drum is so wide, not enough water fills to do those. Other than that, does a good job cleaning even on 'light.' Spins clothes quite dry so the dryer can dry most things in 20 min.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

Absolutely the worst washing machine I have ever purchased. Continually went out of balance on loads that were not overloaded ie (four towels). Complained to GE two or three times. They finally sent some rubber pads to install under washer feet to help keep washer from dancing across floor. They advised they had designed the washers to spin at 800 revolutions per minute instead of 400 as their method of spinning more water out of clothes. This increase in the RPMs is primarily responsible for the problem. Prior to this purchase I had never even contacted a Washer Mfg for any problems. Their solution (the pads) although helpful have not prevented the problem. Very poor engineering as well as customer service. Keep in mind I am 70 years old and have had at least six or seven other washers in the last 50 years. This is like Goodyear deciding an oval tire would be a great idea.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

GE Washing Machine Model GTW485ASJ1WS. Machine broke down 3 times in 2 years & its broken down again. This machine is nothing but trouble. Too much hi-tech for a washer. If you need a computer to inform you that your washer isn't working and after you figure out the code {or call GE} the message is call a repairman? The repairman informs you cost of repair is around $300.00. And if doesn't get her going of course they would be extra fees for any more parts plus labor. And he also informs me that is fee for 2-day is $100.00. Remember the machine has broken down 3 times before and its new replacement cost is under $600.00 Now you must decide. I can't express myself online what come out of my mouth. No matter what you decide I wish you good luck. Cause no one should have to go thru this.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

Cleans very well. I only use the deep fill option on the washer. The dryer works great on any setting. The washer spins the water out better than any that I have ever seen. Purchased on sale at Home Depot. Excellent value for the money.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

It is new, working well, washes nicely, can soak to get put stains. It is bought on lease. I recommend trying to lease over time. It has a deep rinse so clothes are fresh and not stained with softener.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Great washer and dryer. My wife did not want to buy a front loading washer with bad reviews but you have to clean the front washer out about once a month and she finally figured out the reviews was not reliable when our stackable washer went out. That is why we bought the front loader because they are stackable.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Twists up the clothes. Loud - I can hear it upstairs. It has a deep washer and not convenient for me. Larger than I expected. Regular wash doesn't drain water. I use heavy settings. Would not buy again.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

The top loading GE washer and dryer we purchased replaced a Whirlpool set that we had for many years. Everything is good with the new washer/dryer except that the water level does not fill enough to cover the amount of laundry that the large washer has capacity for. I need to run a sink hose in the machine along with the autofill to get the water level up to where it covers the laundry. The rinse cycle requires the same attention. End up having to run a second rinse to make sure all the soap is out of the laundry. Why make a large deep high capacity washer with and not provide the water level to wash that amount of laundry properly?

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I had a 5 year old expensive Whirlpool model with all the bells and whistles. It got to where it was constantly throwing codes, it was more to fix it than to buy another washer. I chose the GE because it has dial controls and an agitator at a very good price. I have had it for about 8 months and it does the job. I hope I get more than 5 years out of this one, but I spent less than half the price of the old washer I had.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

The washer cleans well, it is just very noisy. The washer has many options. Some of the options perform better than others, but the spin cycle for all options is very noisy. I would prefer a deeper water level as well. Even the max level is only about 2/3 full.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

Not so sure that these lower water washers actually live up to their advertising. Our experience is that one must use more water than instructed to get your washing clean. One cannot say much about the dryer as it seems to do a good job of drying the clothes.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

Sheets always get twisted together during wash and rinse. Have to stop washer and untangle and balance load. If you don't, the sheets will tear. Have to wash soiled clothes more than once, even when pretreat. Timer has been replace because didn't spin out all of water. I always turn rinse when I wash, so I can put my Downy in when I want. With the rinse off, it will sometimes go through a rinse cycle. Like being able to fill on "Deep Fill".

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

The GE washer with the agitator which we purchased does a better job than the Whirlpool or Maytag which we had. The clothes are much cleaner looking and the washer capacity is large. Love it. The dryer works faster than the others we had and the capacity holds king size bedding easily.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

Purchased new Washer and dryer, company delivered the units but could not installed. Told me they will come back the next day to install. Called the company to find out when would my appointment be and was hung up. They never scheduled the installed. Had to go through hoops just to get the installation appointment for the week after the delivery.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

We bought a GTW460ASJ9WW top-loading washing machine on in November 2018. We were told about the new "features", which include not putting as much water in the washer and not as quiet as our old GE profile washer. I can deal with the water issue by adjusting the water level. However, it's noisier than the old washer, and the old one needed a new transmission. It is extremely noisy. It dances all over the floor, no matter whether it's loaded with a lot of clothes or a few. It sounds like a helicopter taking off when it goes into the spin cycle.

Today, when I opened it after the spin cycle, I literally could wring water out of the blanket and towel that were in it. It did not spin the water out as it should have. Additionally, when it does spin the water out, the clothes are extremely wrinkled. As far as I am concerned, it is a piece of junk. I wish I had spent the money to repair my old washer. As soon as I get enough money to replace this one, it is leaving our house. The repairman is coming out to look at it, but I've been told there's probably nothing they can do. As a result of this experience, GE has lost me as a customer. I wonder if the CEO of GE has to put up with this kind of quality. I rated it as one star, but I'd rate this machine as a negative star if that was an option.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I was like a 5 yr old at Xmas when I finally could buy my first new washer and dryer. It's been 7 months and the washer is not washing. I'm so upset. It sounds like it's filling up with water but when you look because it sounds funny washing. There's no dang water in it. Someone's coming out in 5 days and I pray he don't have to order parts.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

So I bought the GE washer from Lowe's in April 2018. I've had 3 control panels replaced. Now, 3rd party GE authorized repair dealers refuse to come back. They are telling me that GE tech line is telling them the machine is working? No one has been here over the current problems. The Bulky, Jean's and activewear settings are dead, will not work and now the machine will fill with cold water only. I'm starting to think they are afraid of losing their GE contract. What's far worse is GE tech line making false statements, because no one has been here for these recent problems. I don't know what game GE is playing at but as far as I'm concerned these 3rd party companies nor GE will get away with it! The washer worked for the first 5 months. Now every time I turn around it's something else. I filed a complaint with the Attorney General's Office for refusal to make a service call on a washer that is under warranty, and for making false statements.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

Updated on 03/31/2019: Okay, back in January, I was told that they would send me a $50 check for my troubles. Tomorrow will be April 1 and still no check. I have responded to their original email (Teresa at customer service) and they have sent an auto-response telling me that a representative will get back to me soon. I've gotten three of these and yet, no one ever contacts me. Yeah...no check. So, not only is the product a large piece of garbage, but Customer Service will also lie to you by making promises and not fulfilling them. I don't care about the $50 but not it's a matter of principle. I won't let this go. GE... You really do suck.

Original Review: The washer, a G/E, purchased in June of 2017, was spewing oil into the tub during the cycles. We noticed it last month (Dec. 2018) but thought that maybe it was just something mixed in with the laundry. Nope. We called G/E yesterday and she immediately said: "Oh, that sounds like the bearings, we get a lot of calls about that." She then said, "Unfortunately, your washer is out of warranty." Wait! It's only 18 months old, the bearings are shot and G/E knows about this but yet there is no recall? Nope! So, $99 for the service call plus parts and labor so probably around $400 to get it fixed.

On January 10, I received a call from Customer Service who told me that the person I spoke with would get more training. She also sent me an e-mail with a synopsis of our conversation: "Thank you for contacting GE Appliances with your concerns. I am with Consumer Relations and am happy to help you with your washer. I know that I too would feel upset if my 18-month-old washer was having issues. It was nice speaking with you. I sincerely regret that you already replaced the unit due to poor customer service.

Because we at GE Appliances do understand your frustration, I am empowered to send you a $50 check for lunch on GE Appliances. Please verify your mailing address and I can get that submitted. You stated that you still have the current unit. If you choose to have it repaired and sell it, we will still cover the cost of parts. You would be responsible for the home call fee and all labor. The tech would give you labor pricing when he has examined the unit." So... they are willing to provide this low-cost part but I still have to pay for the service call, diagnostics, and the repair. Yeah, no thanks. Amazing how they think a check for $50 and a $20 part would resolve the problem. They need to do a recall!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

When washing towels they throw the barrel out of balance, gathering on one side, goes into a spin and wants to take off. Very unsafe, must be watched and towels need to be repositioned to allow it to spin out. Very, very unsafe product!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Washer has not worked properly since I purchased it 3 months ago. I have had so many repairmen I have lost count and still not fixed. Replaced the motherboard 4 times and halfway through cycle quit again. GE said some of the motherboards are faulty. LOL. I believe everything about GE is faulty and will never purchase another GE ever. Products are terrible and customer service is worse. I even purchased at a well-known appliance store and no satisfaction. Thought GE would at least stand behind their product. Boy was I wrong. STAYING CLEAR of GE from now on! Blame consumers for breakages rather than the crappy product being sold.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

We bought this washer 2 years ago. It started running at night with the pump and motor grinding away. My wife woke up and said "it's hailing outside". Lucky we were home to shut it off. No lights on the panel, no functions working, the only way to stop it was to unplug it. Have now read many reports of the same problem which had a recall of 200,000 units several years before. But the new models don't have any recall for the same problem. The motherboard cost $195.00 alone with no labor or service call! What a disappointing performance by what I thought was a reputable company. And if it is fixed, how long will the next board last?

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I bought this 3 years ago. It had good reviews and agitator and top load. Well you can't even re-rinse something without choosing a cycle. It is loud and no matter how many adjustments when it spins it moves way too much. I've had issues with sediment build up in a valve/filter. Had plumber put filter on water pump. The build-up would cause minimal cold water to come into washer. Once cleaned it's fine. I do believe this may be the reason it began dripping after the laundry done. The valve/filter needed to be replaced. The final issue, the washer began running on its own... sounded just like going through cycle with NO water. Fortunately, I was home that day. What if I had been away, that could have burnt it up, caused a fire. Regardless there is issue with the computer 'motherboard' and the repairs will cost more than a new washer.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

I purchased a GE washer and dryer set May 2017, also purchased the extended 5 year warranty through Lowe's. Reading other's experiences with GE washers was interesting to say the least. On December 31, during a light load of uniforms, a sudden BANG sound came from the laundry room, sounded like a car crash with the metal tearing noise. Turns out without warning, my GE washer tore itself apart. The frame is bent. It turned itself sideways, ripped out hoses and drainage pipes and poured water all over as well as pieces of the washer. Prior to this, it ran quietly, contacted GE and got no response, contacted Lowe's Service Advantage. Am supposed to have visit with repair man 01/04/2019 Friday. Did send jpeg of serial number to Fast Appliance repair of Reading, PA as well as jpeg of the destroyed machine. Will let you know how we fare. Hopefully better than everyone else here. I would give GE zero or minus stars if I could.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

In July 2018 I bought a GE washer, model GL210163T, only had it a few months and the spinning cycle didn’t work. It has been multiple phone calls, multiple visits and a part still on back order. Why is a new machine part on back order? Why can’t I find out when my washer will be back up and running. Very poor customer service, long wait time to talk to a live person.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

My GE washer literally starts at random times, day and night, when I am NOT doing laundry! It cannot be turned off at those times, the panel lights are off while the motor runs but no water fills the tub. I have read about the recalls for this exact reason in older models but mine is not one of the recalled models, it was purchased in May, 2017. Very annoying and frightening because the recalled ones caused fires.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

I purchased this pair 1 year ago and have regretted it for the past year. The dryer door will not stay shut... yet continues to turn when opened mid-cycle. The washer is even worse. This machine gets out of balance easier than any washer I've ever used. It takes forever to wash a load due to constant untangling and redistributing the clothes. It is low water level and I feel like the clothes are never clean. I am afraid the machine is going to wobble away and pull the drain hose out of the wall.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

GE top load washing machine model GTW330ASK3WW. Machine has excessive vibration regardless of how adjusting legs are positioned. Will "walk the floor" during spin cycle. Less than 3 months old and locking lid latch assembly needed repair. Machine will not run if it cannot sense the lid locks correctly. Many reviews of 1-star about this machine. Costs $500 new purchase. Would advise to skip this model.

GE Washing Machines Company Information