1.88/5
Based on 46 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

480 GE Ranges Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

My wife and I grew up with gas - but only recently had the option in our house for gas. We were really excited to be able to cook with gas - but we have been very disappointed with our oven (GE Dual Gas Oven JGB860EEJES) for the following reasons. The user interface is at best terrible - it was even difficult to figure out how to set the clock - but the cryptic display made it nearly impossible to change some of the defaults - such as how to adjust the oven temperature. I tried to get service on the oven temperature - but it became a major issue because the serial number is on the back of the oven (which was difficult to find because of the no-tip attachment to the floor. It could easily have been placed in either of the ovens.

Overall the quality control was weak, the major design was acceptable, but the user interfaces and the thought behind the product would get a failing grade. In addition my interactions with the customer support were of little help after extensive waiting - (3 hours) I was finally able to get repair tech ordered to look at the problems.

Original review: July 14, 2018

I am new to a convection oven. I bought my gas convection oven JGB700SEJ4SS 7 months ago. I only baked (with convection) a few times and was concerned because I wasn't getting the results I expected. It wasn't cooking evenly nor well. I noticed the fan was going on for about 5 seconds and turning off for a minute or more repeatedly. I contacted GE. They couldn't answer if it was normal, I let it go because I was dealing with my defected dishwasher with them for months also bought at the same time. I did contact them back recently and a repairman came out. He replaced fan, and two other control panel parts? I just baked some muffins and it's doing it again. I fail to have the convection experience. The fan should be running more, am I right?

Get expert buying tips about Ranges, Ovens, and Stoves delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 11, 2018

I purchased this range recently from Home Depot. My first utilization of it was July 4th. I placed an aluminum tray covered with aluminum foil on top and fireworks exploded. You can see the stove’s panel is burned and has melted metal as well as the hole in the aluminum foil. July 5th, Home Depot refused to pick the stove up and stated that was GE’s problem. GE stated that an inspector had to come out before anything can be done.

The inspection was scheduled for today, July 11th. I received a call today stating they had no driver and asked to reschedule. Allegedly the drivers are also the inspectors. He wanted to schedule the appointment for next week. I called GE Support and the rep stated, “Home Depot should have picked that up.” I refuse to keep this range in my house. It is unsafe and could have caused bodily and property damage! Per my conversation with GE Support today, the range will be removed tomorrow. Consumers need to know what to expect when they're not purchasing appliances directly from the manufacturer. Share this post!

Original review: June 27, 2018

COMPLAINT OVEN Serial # FG218988Q GE OVEN PROBLEM!!! Over the last year my wife and I have found that the burners on this model of oven can VERY easily be turned on without knowing. We have tried very hard to be aware of this, but today our luck ran out as I was preparing for the day’s work. I placed a cooler on the stove top, and walked away without knowing that the burners had been accidentally activated and upon returning to the kitchen found the whole top of the stove on fire! This is a design flaw that I am both concerned about as well as seeking the “fix” for. PLEASE HELP!

Original review: June 3, 2018

We built a new home so they only offer GE appliances. But we would prefer LG appliances. GE are still using the cheapest materials for their appliances. Something got on the bottom of my oven and it never came off it's ** self cleaning oven which never cleaned the material. I just don’t feel this range is giving me what I deserve because it is an upgrade when you build a home.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Original review: June 2, 2018

I have had this GE range for about 25 years now. I have a good experience with it from the day I received it to now. I have been completely satisfied with it.

Original review: April 18, 2018

GE Profile Cooktop BLOWS UP 3X!!! RE: JGP940BEKZBB. One flame was on, went to turn on a 2nd flame and boom! Fire shot out and burned my hand and the handles shot off like a grenade. Thankfully nobody was hurt seriously, but seriously, this is a design flaw. GE doesn't care, came out, and gave astronomical price to fix but offered no apologies or credits on new one. Avoid this dangerous product.

Original review: April 10, 2018

We bought a stainless steel GE gas range about 3 years ago. I can smell a gas smell that comes and goes. Sometimes the gas smell is overwhelming when you turn on your oven. Not all the time, but enough to wear it is a real problem. I called our propane people and they came out and checked everything and said there was no gas leaks and that it was installed properly. I called customer service and asked if there had been any recalls and she said no. The model number is JGB4Z8SER255.

Original review: March 28, 2018

What a fiasco. Purchased a cafe series dual fuel range. The oven gave off obnoxious fumes even after attempting 4 burns. GE customer service the worse. They didn’t do anything but tell me smell was normal and I shouldn’t have bought a self cleaning stove. What!!! Where we bought stove from has helped to get stove replaced but when turning on oven we still have a strong odor. Makes you light headed and nauseous. This is all supposed to be normal until after a burn? We are on second burn and still getting odor? I just don’t get it. I haven’t found many complaints on this so what’s up? GE is of no help and I’ve been without the use of an oven for over a month. We keep trying the burn but I’m concerned the smell isn’t safe for anyone especially a one year old? So what now???

Original review: March 20, 2018

I have a double gas oven and had it two years and decided I need to use the oven cleaner, put it down and went back to wipe it out when it was done and was completely shattered. I paid A LOT of money for this oven and it should have had a lot more years. I think they have a factory defect in these ovens and should honor the repair. I used GE in the past and never had a issue with my stove or oven. I will never buy one again!

Original review: March 13, 2018

The GE Profile Model # JVB98SH1SS Serial # VR810513C. On Wed March 7th 2018 evening, our GE Profile cooktop caught on fire. Flames shot out from one of the stove control valves. Not once, twice but three times. I almost got burned. I called GE Customer service & the agent said they would send someone over as soon as they could. So this morning a GE Technician came. He walked in with arrogance. I recognized him & asked him if he had come a few years back to fix our Fridge. He said he could have. He looked at the stove and said that I had spilled water. I was trying to explain to him that I had not spilled anything & the stove was in excellent condition because we take care of our appliances. I was also trying to explain to him how it happened. Both my husband and daughter were also present. When the fire happened the 1st two times, my daughter was with me. She was the one who called out to my husband to come upstairs.

So my daughter also was trying to explain to the technician but this person started yelling at my daughter not to talk while “I’m talking to your mom”. He was condescending and rude to her. My daughter is a clinical director for a healthcare company and not some child who had to be reprimanded or chastised. He walked into our home with an attitude and ill-treated my daughter, for trying to explain why GE’s defective appliance nearly caused injury to any of us near it. This same person who had come a few years back to fix our fridge, was rude to me too. That is how I remembered him. I had told him back then there was no need to be rude. This person obviously has a problem doing his job in a respectful and a professional manner.

He DID NOT APOLOGIZE TO MY DAUGHTER although as he was leaving he asked my husband to convey his apology to her if she felt that he was rude. He was there to find out how and why the fire happened and not be rude to GE customers. We treated him with respect and expected to be treated the same. I would like to file a complaint against him; his technician number is **. As for the fire, I would like to file a complaint for the stove. It is a 9-year-old stove. But well kept and maintained.

I DID NOT SPILL ANY WATER OR OIL ON IT. I HAVE BEEN COOKING FOR 37 years and have had no fire in any of my stoves. I DO NOT want it repaired, I want it replaced at NO COST to us. This time we were lucky that we did suffer injury or any property damage, other than the cooktop. This kind of attitude from people who work in your company and these inferior products from your company are both not acceptable. We hope both these will be taken care of. Thank you.

Original review: March 7, 2018

GE PB911SJSS Range - I recently purchased this range. After using it for a few weeks I noticed that while using just the oven that the stove top, front burners, get hot. It gets hot enough to melt plastic. I contact GE and they advised that this was normal. I advised them no it was unacceptable. They just do not want to admit they placed the vent in the wrong place. Do not consider buying this appliance. I am glad I do not have small kids in the house.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I was so dissatisfied the GE Cafe Electric Range that I bought just three months and the largest cooktop the inner area was not working two times within three months. I requested the GE exchanged a new range for me instead of fixing but they refused to exchange the new range for me that made me so disappointed. When I bargaining with them now and my other cooktop beside the largest cooktop the outer part was also not working. I believed I am asking them to exchange me the new one is not too reasonable. I paid almost 2000 for nothing in three months old purchased, that is insane.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

I bought a GE profile gas range and was very excited as I heard cooking with gas is the best. We spent close to $1800. Which really hurt because I seen yesterday some gas ranges for $500 that looked the same. Our first bad experience was when learning the amount of time it took to boil water. I used to use a kettle on the stove to boil water for coffee every morning but consequently have bought an electric kettle. It took 17 minutes to boil water on the smallest burner of the 5 burners. Even the big burners take a long time and I can never achieve a "rolling boil." We called Sears where we bought it and they told us we should contact GE who told us they would have a repair person come and look at the range which happened twice and could not find a problem.

Next thing happened when my daughter's baking ran over in the oven and some batter got on the gasket. She tried to clean it with the self-clean option and it was almost a disastrous fire and the oven and especially the gaskets did not get clean. I tried to clean it manually and the staples that hold the gasket in fell out very easily. I put them back in but they just fall out again. I will not use self-clean again. The third thing I do not like about the stove is that it is very unsafe. At least 3 times since having the range I have turned on the gas and not noticed until the smell was overwhelming. Good thing someone was home and discovered it in time. Also, more than 3 times owning the stove especially during the day you can leave the burner on low and not notice as it is hard to see. I would not advise anybody to buy this product. We bought a $250 extended warranty and cannot use it.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

Model JB645DK2WW GE Range. Main complaint: The timer is almost worthless, so weak a mouse could do better. We rely heavily on having a good timer, and found out too late. GE service people came out, but said they couldn't help; the stove was made that way. Range works okay so far, but more difficult to clean the top than the last range we had. The surface is not as good.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

On December 21, 2017 the controller for my GE range caught fire. I contacted the president of GE Canada and was told that the manufacturing of their home appliances was sold to Mabe appliances (in Mexico). She forwarded my email to the appropriate person, and they responded with a follow-up email almost immediately. At this point I was impressed, but when I got a call today from GE Canada's customer service, I was shocked at how bad it was. First I was told, "THERE'S NOTHING I CAN DO."

This became the refrain for the rest of the conversation: First, she asked me if I had contacted a service technician at GE. I told her no. She told me "THERE'S NOTHING I CAN DO" and asked WHY I didn't contact a service technician. I told her it was because my father-in-law is an electrician, and he showed me the melted part. She told me, "THERE'S NOTHING I CAN DO." Then she asked why I didn't just have him fix it. I told her that when I went looking for the part, I was told that it would cost almost as much as a new stove. Her response was "THERE'S NOTHING I CAN DO."

I mentioned to her that back "in the good old days" companies used to stand behind their products. I was told, "THERE'S NOTHING I CAN DO." I mentioned to her that major appliances used to last 20+ years, and yet mine had lasted five. I was told, "THERE'S NOTHING I CAN DO. Parts break all the time. THERE'S NOTHING I CAN DO." She then had the audacity to tell me that since my stove was five years old, it was past its warranty and therefore, "THERE'S NOTHING I CAN DO." I think it's pretty sad that the management end of GE Canada is helpful and proactive, but the customer service end of GE Canada is not.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

In August 2016, I purchased a new gas range, a GE Profile at a cost of over $1800.00 which carried a one year factory warranty. Last night I noticed that the oven door was separating, after taking a closer look, I saw that in fact the frame was separating from the door and there was nothing such as screws that would hold it together, it looks like it's a compression fit. How can they get away with making such garbage and selling it as such a high cost to the consumer, needless to say, I am not very happy!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

Recently I got a new GE gas range through American Home Shield. Problem: The gas burners turn on with the slightest movement. Several times I have smelled gas and found the burner was on. Today it was two burners. This stove is dangerous. Model#JGB635DEK1WWW. Serial #TH202917P.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

Oven (JB710STSS) takes forever to reach temps and will not hold the temp scheduled within 30-40 degrees. Control panel was replaced initially but solved nothing. My daughter's cheap Whirlpool range in a rental works much better than this GE. Very poor quality. Substandard for a major company.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

Our new GE Adora range has a convection oven. The convection fan "short-cycles" constantly and the oven does not bake evenly. When I contacted GE about this they told me that it was normal operation. However, they said that they could send out a technician to look at it for $125 if he found nothing wrong. I'm in the process of modifying the controls so the convection fan will run continuously like it should. Every other convection oven I have owned or used had the fan running constantly and yielded even baking results throughout the oven cavity. This GE does NOT do that. Fortunately, I am a trained instrument technician and can make this work so I haven't lost $1,000 on this range.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

Bought this GE Cafe Dual Fuel C2S980SEM4SS premium range about 8 years ago. I do like the gas for cooktop and electric for baking. Best of both worlds. Problem is, I've just replaced the main control panel for the second time. First lasted 6 years, second lasted 2 years. Cost of repair using GE authorized service is about $500! So I did it myself the 2nd time. With both failures the panel goes into LOC mode (during cooking) and will not unlock. So it appears to me that there might be a design defect in the control panel. Not a heavily used appliance, but if it fails again it's gone.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2017

Although our family had not had good luck with GE appliances, when I saw the gas range at a local furniture and appliance store, I thought, surely this will be great! And it was, up until shortly after the one year warranty expires, it quit baking. A repairman has out a new igniter in it, stating that the original was going bad. Well, it's Christmas Eve, and the oven once again will not work: we've had it 1.5 years now. Absolutely, no. More. GE appliances!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

Builder (Hovnanian) put the bottom of the line GE appliances in this house. Though the oven is the WORST nothing good to say about the others as well. Oven failed within 3 weeks of move in. Had to wait 2 weeks for service. Now 3 months later burners failed (clicks incessantly so have to keep turning it off at breaker) and now they can't come for 2 weeks and it is Christmas. Must be a thing with holidays as first was Memorial Day and now Christmas. Thermostat has never worked in the oven and now you have to constantly monitor temp with manual thermometer to keep things cooking somewhat evenly. PIECE OF CRAP. Will never buy another GE product again.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

This is the worst oven anyone can purchase and GE is not an honorable company in either their Quality Control or fixing their products. Within 3 months of getting this brand new stove (GE Appliances JB860SJSS 6.6 cu. ft.) it failed. The service technicians came out twice and couldn't fix it, and GE still wouldn't replace it. They would prefer to keep trying to fix it even though each time. It was weeks and we had no oven. This was over Thanksgiving and Christmas. Don't buy this product or better yet don't buy any GE product until they show they care about the customer.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I thought two burners small and large would be good. But still takes too long to heat up small burners to boil. I also don't like having to set oven to temp then to hit start. If you hit the wrong temp you have to start all over again. Also hit to turn off instead of just turning dial. Time consuming in my eyes. But it looks nice and so far is even temps.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Last fall, we updated our kitchen counters to quartz, and the Jenn-Air to a GE induction cooktop. While it is indeed pricey, the joy of cooking is not overstated here. The quick heat up, the ease of controlling the heat more precisely, and the easy clean up makes this unit well worth it. I love it!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

GE Profile gas slide in range with two small double ovens. On November 10, 2017, the top oven inner glass exploded about 2 hours into the cleaning cycle. The top oven door has triple pane glass and it was the center or middle pane that exploded and shattered. This has to be a manufacture defect? It's the oddest thing I have seen. How and why does this happen? Our oven is a little over a year old.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

Wonderful range but the self cleaning feature is not that thorough. It is not as easy to clean this range as others. It does cook evenly as does the oven bake at the correct temperature.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I bought a GE Cafe Series Range in August. I had it installed in September, and it didn't work the first time I tried to use it. A letter and number F96 kept coming up. GE sent out someone to repair it, he felt he had fixed it. Well F96 started coming up again! They sent out another repair person, and he replaced more parts! He thought it was fixed and the F96 came up again!

We are now into November, and it was fixed last Friday and after they left the F96 came up again. GE said they are sending out another repair person to replace the new parts again that they just replaced! I have been without an oven since September, it is now November 7th and GE wants us to wait another 5 days for a repairman to come out to put in the same parts one more time.

These parts are to be sent to us and we hope they come in time for the repairman. It is now possible if they come out this week and repair the same repair the third time that we will have to wait until GE decides what to do again and run the risk of not having an oven for Thanksgiving! Bottom line, our oven doesn't work, it takes weeks to get repair people out, weeks to get parts and we want a new oven asap. When we called yesterday, we weren't permitted to speak with our caseworker because she was going to call us the next day and of course she never called us. So disappointed with GE. Will never buy another product from GE.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

GE Adora JG8720EEJIES - Range does not have a light switch on the outside. Without a light we can’t see inside the oven, unless we open the door. We have been using a flashlight to check on our baking. Definitely an engineering flaw.

GE Washing Machines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

GE has been in business for more than 100 years and is one of the most recognized names in American manufacturing. It introduced one of the first mass-market electric stovetops in 1928: the Calrod Electric Range.

• Flexible choices: GE offers a variety of product lines designed specifically for small homes, large homes or businesses.

• Robust warranties: GE offers extensive warranties on all of its products, usually with the inclusion of home visits from maintenance personnel.

• GE Fits! Guarantee: GE guarantees that it can find a cooking appliance that will perfectly match the existing dimensions of a client's old appliance.

• Extensive special features: GE includes a variety of special features for select models, ranging from advanced software to the latest in induction technology and more.

• Made in America: GE guarantees that most of its appliances are designed and manufactured in the United States, and provides information outlining what percentage of an appliance's components were made in the U.S.

• Best for: Users cooking for one, users cooking for families and users cooking for businesses.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

Ticker Symbol:
GE
www.ge.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business