1.40/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

496 GE Ranges Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

Purchased a GE Monogram 4 burner range with a center griddle approximately 9 months ago. This range is impossible to keep clean. You must remove the cover for the griddle to use any of the four burners or the cover pops and warps during cooking. This, of course, means all the grease from cooking is able to run down the sides of the griddle and because the griddle is not removable, the grease just pools underneath the griddle. You literally have to unscrew the griddle and disconnect it from the stove to clean under it. Very poor design!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

After only 2 years, the control panel has several cracks. Paint under oven door is bubbled. Decals on knobs are peeling. Very unsightly and GE could care less. I will not buy again. The over range microwave has bubbles and cracks also. So I will have to purchase all new appliances to match each other because I will not be purchasing GE again.

Get expert buying tips about Ranges, Ovens, and Stoves delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Resolution response: Dec. 8, 2018

To follow up on my range saga. It took two and a half weeks to finally get my new range. It was frustrating but very pleased now that I have one. It is the new version of my last range. Customer service made sure I got one as soon as it came in from production. I appreciate it. If anyone is looking for a beautiful range they should check out range # cgs995selss.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

Updated on 11/20/2018: Starting week 2 without a range. One was delivered but dented and the delivery man told me he does not do gas hook ups. So once again I phoned the Chairman’s office since they were the ones that contacted me. I was told that the delivery people will hook up gas so not sure who is telling the truth. But, at this point that is not a problem because now I could have to wait until the 15th (2 weeks+) to get my new range. They offered to send $200 for my husband and I to eat out with but will take 7-10 days to arrive. They refused overnight delivery.

My problem with customer care (chairman’s office) is they just do not care about the person and what they are going through. It is all dollars to them! As I said in my previous complaint all I did was use the self clean for the first time and it locked up my oven and killed the burners. I wish GE could at least say they are sorry that their oven malfunctioned because of faulty workmanship. I wish they were not so concerned about what they keep in their pockets. I invested in 6 GE appliances because of the GE name which was the best when I was growing up. They have disappointed me.

Original Review: Three years ago I made the mistake of purchasing six brand new GE appliances. Big mistake! Two years after the purchase my dryer stopped working. Took me four hours to dry a sheet. After a month of four visits from the GE repairman and much frustration the board blew up in front of him. So for $200 I got a new one. But, the worst was a few days before Thanksgiving. I decided to use the self clean on my beautiful $3000 stove. After an hour it locked up tight and the whole stove went black. Gas stove top went completely out and doors shut tight. Good ole repair service came out, spent an hour and a half and was on the phone with his supervisor. They could do nothing. It was unfixable!!! This is two days before Thanksgiving. Unfixable? It was the first time I used that feature.

So GE phones me and after much discussion the only thing they could offer me is a new oven for $1000. Sure was not my fault the self clean blew up my oven! So we had no oven for Thanksgiving. Ching ching had to take the family out for dinner. Ching Ching, it could be a week or more before I get a new stove and they made me pay by phone. At this point I am so disgusted with GE and so sorry I bought their appliances. It will be the last time! They sell Junk and they do not care. Junk, Junk, Junk. Shame on GE!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

When you have GE appliance and have no issue, you are one of the lucky people. Yes, GE appliances have been great for me. I have been a customer for over 15 years for all my appliances. Well now, I am one of the 10% people who had issues and it was not handled very professionally. Here is what happened. In September 3rd, 2017, I got a new GE Range just because I wanted to replace my 10-year-old GE range. Well I regret it. Couple of months later, I called the installation company because the electrical breaker was going off. They said that it is normal sometimes, and a power reset would fix the issue. So, they suggested to unplug it and plug it back again. The issue happened few times until one day, we heard a very loud noise and smoke coming out of the back of the range. That was the first time I called GE. They said that the installation company installed it wrong causing part of the metal in the back to be melted.

I called the installation company who are contractors hired by GE. Well after three some weeks of not holding responsibility for their device, GE tech came in and changed the part. Thinking everything is back to normal, I asked GE for reimbursement for all the time we stayed without a range. They send me $50 and I did not mind or asked for more. Maybe a week or two after, I started noticing a plastic smell from the oven and one of the burners (only one) would stay on high even after we change it to low causing food to burn if we have not paid attention to it. This happened randomly. I called GE again, and I explained the issue. The first tech came in and he implied, very rudely, that we did not know how to use the range (Note: I have been a GE customer for the last 15 years).

Then, he brings out a piece of metal from his car and opens the stove and very sarcastically says, “here you go, this is what caused it” as if we did not understand what happened. He could not duplicate the issue, so he wrote in his report that there is no issue. I did not believe him but did not want to cause problems (I still have that piece), so I let it go. I called GE again, because the issue was still there for the burner and the oven smell (even after cleaning it for 3 hours twice as they suggested). Another technician came in my house. I explained to him how I stood there watching the burner for half an hour after I put it on low, and the burner still red as if it was on high. He started looking at my pots as if the cooking pots are the cause of the food burning or why the burner stay red. The same pots that we used with the old GE standalone Range that we had for 10 years.

Then he stated, “These are all very good pots.” He also said there is nothing wrong with the burners or the oven even though we still were facing the issues. Again, I called GE, and I told them that their techs are being very rude and disrespectful, so they agreed to pay an outside tech to replace that burner knob as he thought that was it. The issue was still there and happening more often. I stopped complaining and closed all the tickets. Now the oven caught on fire is the latest event. The fire was concealed within the oven. It did not come out as we were pre-heating it. When I called GE customer relation, they created a new ticket for me. They sent out yet another tech to find out what caused the fire. I told the technician how it did catch on fire. Then he went in to check what exactly happened. He started writing his report without saying a word to me.

After he printed the report with the receipt, he explained to me that the part is not available until December 4th. He added this normally happens when you use the oven too much. I then explained to him all the issues we are having, and I want a unit replacement as I am not using the oven that much because of the smell. After he left, I read the report he gave me, which says: “The broil unit burned out causing sparks in oven. Unit is repairable, not a safety issue, just a bad broil ASM.” That paper included how much it will cost me to repair it. I called customer relation, and they said that the new ranges have a safety plugin that will trip the electrical breaker when it is caught on fire. Her explanation made sense to a point, but if I had food in the oven, the fire would have continued. After talking to few people, they said Twitter and social media is the best way to go, so I went ahead and contact them through Twitter.

They said that my case manager will contact me, but they never did. So, I took the liberty of calling them. The consumer relation manager kept going back and forth for an hour and a half. After only 1 year of having the unit, they gave me two options, which are either give me a discount of 33% or have yet another tech to come in and check the unit. It could be maybe my recipes are too hard for the burners. I told the consumer case manager that I do not want any techs in my house.

I am willing to pay 50% off a new unit, but they did not help me even with that. I told the case manager about all the cases started from March, and his answer was “You did not call about the other cases, you only called about the oven catching fire.” Although, the first time I called about the fire, I brought up all the other issues that still exist. This is not the way to go GE. GE is responsible for that appliance and need to change it for no charge. They did not believe me when it was under the warranty that there is a manufacture defect in the unit.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

Over a week ago my husband called for service on our gas stove because the burners were snapping even when every burner was turned off. Because I would be off on Veterans' Day, we arranged for the technician to come that day and GE said he'd be here between 8:00 and noon on that day. On Veterans' Day the technician showed up at 9:45, came into the kitchen and told me, without even touching the stove, that he'd need to order a part and come back another day. This after my husband had given the model number of the stove and told what was wrong over the phone when he arranged for service. GE's so-called customer service told me that the people who schedule service are not technicians and therefore cannot tell the technicians what parts to bring.

If this is not beginning to sound a little absurd to you, think about whose time gets eaten up by this practice. There's more. When I objected to the technician that he should have come prepared, he told me that I would not be charged for his visit if I cancelled right then and there. In other words, he was going to charge me for coming to my house and doing absolutely nothing. Do you smell something funny here? I smell a gambit for bilking GE customers out of money and time. Technicians come unprepared so that you'll pay them to come back prepared. Bottom line: DO NOT BUY GE PRODUCTS.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

Upon using the oven for the very first time, it did not work! Both ovens would shut off shortly after starting to pre-heat. I've read of similar experiences. It's clear that manufacturing standards are non-existent and GE has failed to address known defects in their appliances. Yes they will repair it free of charge since it's within the warranty period however it's unacceptable that a brand new appliance requires repair. GE has failed to deliver a working appliance. It's the absolute most regrettable choice of our kitchen remodel.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I had an electric stove by GE in my new house (stove was new too), wasn't happy with it, oven was so sluggish, so I decided to replace it with the gas stove. Much to my dismay (bad luck too) we chose another GE product- gas stove. I think our decision was partly based on the width, it was a built-in stove. It is by far the worst choice! You should see my oven!!! Impossible to clean. Purchased extended protection from Lowe's, but this is not a covered issue. Everything about this stove is terrible. Had to buy a replacement knob today, cost with shipping over $17! Do yourself a favor; do NOT purchase GE gas stove.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

The grip on the bottom drawer of my GE stove is too shallow. It is impossible to get a grip to open the drawer. Your finger slides off. Very poor design. The grip needs to be much deeper so you can get hold of it. Would not have bought this stove if I had noticed it before.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

Have had the range (JBB635DEK2BB) for three weeks and almost every day there is a gas leak. Reaching above the stove to the cabinet or the microwave or walking by the range a knob gets slightly bumped and easily turns a knob and the gas starts leaking out. The knobs ignite the burner at the bottom of the dial so every little bump to the knob enables the gas to leak out. This is a dangerous situation. Technician said consumer dept at GE suggested to get child safety knobs. This is a design flaw. GE should have this corrected immediately before there is an explosion and people get killed.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I ran the self clean cycle Wednesday, October 31, 2018. On Thursday morning I woke to find that the interior glass door had shattered. That day I went online and found numerous incidents outlining the same thing. For the most part, the stoves were 2-4 years old (mine is 3 1/2). I found postings going back to around 2010 and all told a similar story. In my case, I called GE Customer Service. They were very dismissive, said there hadn't been a recall and that I would have to bear the entire cost of the repair as the stove was more than a year old. I asked how a shattered glass door was within normal parameters for a service call and was brushed off.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

So about 5 minutes after cooking, the oven was off the door was closed and I heard a pop. The entire exterior glass shattered. Oven was seven years old, GE said it was out of warranty and offered nothing. I did the following. If your oven does explode, take pictures, contact the manufacturer and file a report with the CPSC. In some cases, companies will replace or repair the oven free of charge even after it's out of warranty. In many other cases, they may flatly refuse.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I purchased a stove 12-9-2017. Double Oven $1200.00 stove. Since my purchase, I have had repair out to replace a defective burner. On 10-12-2018 my stove started beeping a code CF10. Per online instructions, we were unplugged and plugged back in. Neither of the 2 ovens are working. Scheduled a repair for 10-16-2017. Was advised after confirming with me that they would not be out till 10-19-2018. Why because they have 1 repairman for the Pinellas County Florida and he was sick today. My stove is not even a year old yet and it seems all functions have now had a problem. The unprofessional manner this company is exhibiting is far from the service I have expected from a well known corporation like GE. I will probably not purchase from this brand again. How horrible.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

Since buying this stove 4 years ago, the list of parts and service has grown steadily. The convection fan was bad upon installation (covered by warranty), Front right burner quit working, infinity switch broken, Five burner knobs have cracked and fallen off over time. The fact that I can order these parts cheaper from online retailers and install them myself has been a great help to offset the cost of repairs and time waiting for service but this appliance is not very old and the price point does not warrant the constant repairs.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I bought a brand new convection oven (electric). Front burner, power boil, went out in less than 3 years. Oven takes forever to bake something. Customer service doesn't care. Would never buy another GE anything based on this experience. They want to charge for a "service call" to diagnose the problem, and also for labor.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I am so sorry I have to write this review, I swore by GE high end Profile products for more than 20 years. When my old GE range started giving me problems, I went to P. C. Richard to order a new top of the line G.E. range. The first one that was delivered computer system did not work, so I could to use the oven or broiler. P. C. Richard ordered me a new range and this one is horrible! I had GE technician here and he told me that there is nothing he could do about the range, even though I paid for a 7 year warranty.

The oven and broiler just keep kicking off (even when I use the broiler on the low setting) and the oven does the same. It just keeps turning off and the technician said it is programmed to shut off at a certain temperature. The problem is the food is not broiled and all dried up in every case. The oven comes on and off. So now I have an $1100 range I cannot use at all and have to buy a toaster oven for cooking. I will continue to try and have this resolved but GE insists they can do nothing!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

We live off grid in rural Colorado (yes I am nuts but it is so quiet, except when the oven or my 50 year old wringer washer is on) and gas is the only option with solar powered electric as we are still 20 years away from "amenities". Our new range is propane powered, the oven, which I checked actually is gas, however it uses high electricity when starting or changing temps. It alone can completely drain an entire battery bank in only minutes. We have to switch to a 3750 watt generator to bake (a 2000 watt is overtaxed). The burners and griddle are superb at this time and can be lit with a match, the oven cannot. All my other appliances work fine, GE could not explain why the unit uses so much electricity, suggesting it was normal or my fault. If you are off grid, or lose power often do not buy GE.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

My wife and I grew up with gas - but only recently had the option in our house for gas. We were really excited to be able to cook with gas - but we have been very disappointed with our oven (GE Dual Gas Oven JGB860EEJES) for the following reasons. The user interface is at best terrible - it was even difficult to figure out how to set the clock - but the cryptic display made it nearly impossible to change some of the defaults - such as how to adjust the oven temperature. I tried to get service on the oven temperature - but it became a major issue because the serial number is on the back of the oven (which was difficult to find because of the no-tip attachment to the floor. It could easily have been placed in either of the ovens.

Overall the quality control was weak, the major design was acceptable, but the user interfaces and the thought behind the product would get a failing grade. In addition my interactions with the customer support were of little help after extensive waiting - (3 hours) I was finally able to get repair tech ordered to look at the problems.

Original review: July 14, 2018

I am new to a convection oven. I bought my gas convection oven JGB700SEJ4SS 7 months ago. I only baked (with convection) a few times and was concerned because I wasn't getting the results I expected. It wasn't cooking evenly nor well. I noticed the fan was going on for about 5 seconds and turning off for a minute or more repeatedly. I contacted GE. They couldn't answer if it was normal, I let it go because I was dealing with my defected dishwasher with them for months also bought at the same time. I did contact them back recently and a repairman came out. He replaced fan, and two other control panel parts? I just baked some muffins and it's doing it again. I fail to have the convection experience. The fan should be running more, am I right?

Original review: July 11, 2018

I purchased this range recently from Home Depot. My first utilization of it was July 4th. I placed an aluminum tray covered with aluminum foil on top and fireworks exploded. You can see the stove’s panel is burned and has melted metal as well as the hole in the aluminum foil. July 5th, Home Depot refused to pick the stove up and stated that was GE’s problem. GE stated that an inspector had to come out before anything can be done.

The inspection was scheduled for today, July 11th. I received a call today stating they had no driver and asked to reschedule. Allegedly the drivers are also the inspectors. He wanted to schedule the appointment for next week. I called GE Support and the rep stated, “Home Depot should have picked that up.” I refuse to keep this range in my house. It is unsafe and could have caused bodily and property damage! Per my conversation with GE Support today, the range will be removed tomorrow. Consumers need to know what to expect when they're not purchasing appliances directly from the manufacturer. Share this post!

Original review: June 27, 2018

COMPLAINT OVEN Serial # FG218988Q GE OVEN PROBLEM!!! Over the last year my wife and I have found that the burners on this model of oven can VERY easily be turned on without knowing. We have tried very hard to be aware of this, but today our luck ran out as I was preparing for the day’s work. I placed a cooler on the stove top, and walked away without knowing that the burners had been accidentally activated and upon returning to the kitchen found the whole top of the stove on fire! This is a design flaw that I am both concerned about as well as seeking the “fix” for. PLEASE HELP!

Original review: June 3, 2018

We built a new home so they only offer GE appliances. But we would prefer LG appliances. GE are still using the cheapest materials for their appliances. Something got on the bottom of my oven and it never came off it's ** self cleaning oven which never cleaned the material. I just don’t feel this range is giving me what I deserve because it is an upgrade when you build a home.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I have had this GE range for about 25 years now. I have a good experience with it from the day I received it to now. I have been completely satisfied with it.

Original review: April 18, 2018

GE Profile Cooktop BLOWS UP 3X!!! RE: JGP940BEKZBB. One flame was on, went to turn on a 2nd flame and boom! Fire shot out and burned my hand and the handles shot off like a grenade. Thankfully nobody was hurt seriously, but seriously, this is a design flaw. GE doesn't care, came out, and gave astronomical price to fix but offered no apologies or credits on new one. Avoid this dangerous product.

Original review: April 10, 2018

We bought a stainless steel GE gas range about 3 years ago. I can smell a gas smell that comes and goes. Sometimes the gas smell is overwhelming when you turn on your oven. Not all the time, but enough to wear it is a real problem. I called our propane people and they came out and checked everything and said there was no gas leaks and that it was installed properly. I called customer service and asked if there had been any recalls and she said no. The model number is JGB4Z8SER255.

Original review: March 28, 2018

What a fiasco. Purchased a cafe series dual fuel range. The oven gave off obnoxious fumes even after attempting 4 burns. GE customer service the worse. They didn’t do anything but tell me smell was normal and I shouldn’t have bought a self cleaning stove. What!!! Where we bought stove from has helped to get stove replaced but when turning on oven we still have a strong odor. Makes you light headed and nauseous. This is all supposed to be normal until after a burn? We are on second burn and still getting odor? I just don’t get it. I haven’t found many complaints on this so what’s up? GE is of no help and I’ve been without the use of an oven for over a month. We keep trying the burn but I’m concerned the smell isn’t safe for anyone especially a one year old? So what now???

Original review: March 20, 2018

I have a double gas oven and had it two years and decided I need to use the oven cleaner, put it down and went back to wipe it out when it was done and was completely shattered. I paid A LOT of money for this oven and it should have had a lot more years. I think they have a factory defect in these ovens and should honor the repair. I used GE in the past and never had a issue with my stove or oven. I will never buy one again!

Original review: March 13, 2018

The GE Profile Model # JVB98SH1SS Serial # VR810513C. On Wed March 7th 2018 evening, our GE Profile cooktop caught on fire. Flames shot out from one of the stove control valves. Not once, twice but three times. I almost got burned. I called GE Customer service & the agent said they would send someone over as soon as they could. So this morning a GE Technician came. He walked in with arrogance. I recognized him & asked him if he had come a few years back to fix our Fridge. He said he could have. He looked at the stove and said that I had spilled water. I was trying to explain to him that I had not spilled anything & the stove was in excellent condition because we take care of our appliances. I was also trying to explain to him how it happened. Both my husband and daughter were also present. When the fire happened the 1st two times, my daughter was with me. She was the one who called out to my husband to come upstairs.

So my daughter also was trying to explain to the technician but this person started yelling at my daughter not to talk while “I’m talking to your mom”. He was condescending and rude to her. My daughter is a clinical director for a healthcare company and not some child who had to be reprimanded or chastised. He walked into our home with an attitude and ill-treated my daughter, for trying to explain why GE’s defective appliance nearly caused injury to any of us near it. This same person who had come a few years back to fix our fridge, was rude to me too. That is how I remembered him. I had told him back then there was no need to be rude. This person obviously has a problem doing his job in a respectful and a professional manner.

He DID NOT APOLOGIZE TO MY DAUGHTER although as he was leaving he asked my husband to convey his apology to her if she felt that he was rude. He was there to find out how and why the fire happened and not be rude to GE customers. We treated him with respect and expected to be treated the same. I would like to file a complaint against him; his technician number is **. As for the fire, I would like to file a complaint for the stove. It is a 9-year-old stove. But well kept and maintained.

I DID NOT SPILL ANY WATER OR OIL ON IT. I HAVE BEEN COOKING FOR 37 years and have had no fire in any of my stoves. I DO NOT want it repaired, I want it replaced at NO COST to us. This time we were lucky that we did suffer injury or any property damage, other than the cooktop. This kind of attitude from people who work in your company and these inferior products from your company are both not acceptable. We hope both these will be taken care of. Thank you.

Original review: March 7, 2018

GE PB911SJSS Range - I recently purchased this range. After using it for a few weeks I noticed that while using just the oven that the stove top, front burners, get hot. It gets hot enough to melt plastic. I contact GE and they advised that this was normal. I advised them no it was unacceptable. They just do not want to admit they placed the vent in the wrong place. Do not consider buying this appliance. I am glad I do not have small kids in the house.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I was so dissatisfied the GE Cafe Electric Range that I bought just three months and the largest cooktop the inner area was not working two times within three months. I requested the GE exchanged a new range for me instead of fixing but they refused to exchange the new range for me that made me so disappointed. When I bargaining with them now and my other cooktop beside the largest cooktop the outer part was also not working. I believed I am asking them to exchange me the new one is not too reasonable. I paid almost 2000 for nothing in three months old purchased, that is insane.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

I bought a GE profile gas range and was very excited as I heard cooking with gas is the best. We spent close to $1800. Which really hurt because I seen yesterday some gas ranges for $500 that looked the same. Our first bad experience was when learning the amount of time it took to boil water. I used to use a kettle on the stove to boil water for coffee every morning but consequently have bought an electric kettle. It took 17 minutes to boil water on the smallest burner of the 5 burners. Even the big burners take a long time and I can never achieve a "rolling boil." We called Sears where we bought it and they told us we should contact GE who told us they would have a repair person come and look at the range which happened twice and could not find a problem.

Next thing happened when my daughter's baking ran over in the oven and some batter got on the gasket. She tried to clean it with the self-clean option and it was almost a disastrous fire and the oven and especially the gaskets did not get clean. I tried to clean it manually and the staples that hold the gasket in fell out very easily. I put them back in but they just fall out again. I will not use self-clean again. The third thing I do not like about the stove is that it is very unsafe. At least 3 times since having the range I have turned on the gas and not noticed until the smell was overwhelming. Good thing someone was home and discovered it in time. Also, more than 3 times owning the stove especially during the day you can leave the burner on low and not notice as it is hard to see. I would not advise anybody to buy this product. We bought a $250 extended warranty and cannot use it.

GE Washing Machines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

GE has been in business for more than 100 years and is one of the most recognized names in American manufacturing. It introduced one of the first mass-market electric stovetops in 1928: the Calrod Electric Range.

• Flexible choices: GE offers a variety of product lines designed specifically for small homes, large homes or businesses.

• Robust warranties: GE offers extensive warranties on all of its products, usually with the inclusion of home visits from maintenance personnel.

• GE Fits! Guarantee: GE guarantees that it can find a cooking appliance that will perfectly match the existing dimensions of a client's old appliance.

• Extensive special features: GE includes a variety of special features for select models, ranging from advanced software to the latest in induction technology and more.

• Made in America: GE guarantees that most of its appliances are designed and manufactured in the United States, and provides information outlining what percentage of an appliance's components were made in the U.S.

• Best for: Users cooking for one, users cooking for families and users cooking for businesses.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs