GE Ranges

Compare Ranges, Ovens, and Stoves

Research top Ranges, Ovens, and Stoves recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I haven't had this range but a couple of months so I can't really give much of a report on how well it will hold up to my standards of cooking and I do love to cook. However, I'm not too happy with the burners because they are already starting to warp.

This range is 20 years old but the interior light only worked for about a year. The depth of the interior is shallow even though the range appears to be standard size. It is a flat-top which I like and has held up well.

When we built our home 10 years ago we had all GE appliances put in. My range is a GE electric smooth top range. It heats everything perfectly and the oven is self cleaning and does a super job at that. I have had no repairs on this range since I bought it and I really like it a lot.

GE Range in basement was new and used about 3 or 4 times when the oven exploded during the night. Nobody was in the basement at that time but my son or granddaughter could have been there if it was earlier. Glass shattered everywhere and even though it was less than a year old, company refused to pay or have anything to do with it. I have read that this has happened before. Poor company and poor products and will never buy another GE again unless they step up and take care of this problem. Will it take a child or adult getting severely hurt in order for them to take action?

We bought the GE double oven. The top oven is a little smaller than the bottom but is great for a small family. We use it as a toaster oven. Overall heats and cooks well. It is a little expensive because my husband wanted the controls on the front of the oven instead of the back but otherwise we have been extremely pleased with this purchase.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

We have had our GE Profile stove a few years. We are an older couple and use care for our appliances. A few weeks ago the glass front fell off our stove in the middle of the night. It took hours to clean up the glass shards off the floor. It seems the glass is held on by double face tape. We were charged $400 to have replacement and no tape was applied this time? There is nothing really holding it on. WE TRIED SEVERAL DAY TO GET SOMEONE ON THE PHONE. Everybody gave us numbers to call and all we got was recording.

I like how easy it is to use my range and how clean up is a breeze. As far as heating it takes longer than I would like it to and then it gets extremely hot. It is hard to regulate temperature so it makes dinners longer to make than usual. I've had it for sometime now and yes I've gotten a lot better but still takes much longer than my old one and still a juggle of trying to make it just right for each burner.

I live in a bachelor apartment, and space is limited, so this range is the perfect fit for my kitchen. It is attractive, has a window in front of the oven so I can check my baking etc without having to open the oven. All burners heat well, and food cooks quickly. It is very easy to clean as well. It has a timer, and a clock. I love this range and would recommend this one to everybody looking for a smaller size range for their kitchen. Several tenants in my building have come to look at it as they don't have a new one like mine. They are only given out when their range wears out and doesn't work anymore. They loved mine and wish they could have one like it.

Bought stove in December of 2015. In October of 2016 the temperature in oven was not heating properly. I let GE know about it and they sent A&E appliance which is Sears. The start light never did work so he ordered a new control board and thermostat. After he installed the new board and thermostat the start light still didn't work. Never checked temperature in oven but suggested I buy the extended warranty as my original warranty will run out soon. Which I purchased assuming this is what GE would want me to do.

At this point I called Factory Direct in December before warranty ran out. They also changed out board and thermostat start light still doesn't work. Been here 4 times and temperature is still really off. They told me to deal with my extended warranty. Well I wrote to GE and they say I have to deal with A&E. I'm amazed that they are one that sent them out and now they want me to deal with Sears. Their repairmen are incompetent. They have no idea how to fix it. twin GE is just wiping their hand of this and won't help me resolve this problem. The order below is the Factory direct order when I bought it. The Sears extended warranty is **.

This stove/oven has served us for 13 years now and without any problems. The self-cleaning function is great even though the process is like 3-4 hours long and it creates a lot of heat in the kitchen. Cleans well though.

It works well enough. But I don't like the touch panel on top of the front of the stove. Very bad location as people have oftentimes accidentally turned on the oven by leaning on the panel. The burners are hard to properly adjust. When simmering sauce, I have to be around to turn the pot off and on for periods of time to cool it down then resume cooking on warm or low. It's very inconvenient. Also the plastic cover collects all kinds of bits of everything that is nearly impossible to clean. The oven door has to remain open when in use and I am not used to that so don't care for that feature either. Electric ranges are for the birds as is this one but given that I don't have an easy option for gas I persevere. The look is so so.

I had to buy a cheap brand but the GE gas range has held up and keeps right on working. It isn't the best thing to look at being plain and white but it has lasted through a lot of moving. Very pleased.

The burners went out and I heard all kinds of weird noises that were scary. I thought it was going to burst in flames. Burners didn't heat up very well and the spacing is awkward. I do not recommend to anyone. Do the research, and definitely could find a better buy. I wish I had. I give it a zero. Disappointed without a doubt.

Eight years ago we built a new house, and in mid-November a burner in my stove top exploded and the wires were singed when the stove was turned on. I ordered a new stove top from another company and then informed GE about what had happened. They did not answer my initial communication for 1 month, a picture of the stove top was sent to them with the bill for the new stove top and installation. Then they insisted through many communications that they would not look at the GE stove top unless it was connected in my kitchen, which I refused to do.

Finally, a GE repair person, came to the house to inspect the appliance. GE's response was that liquid must have gotten under the knobs and caused the explosion. Anyone who cooks knows that liquid gets on stove tops. It is obviously a design flaw and a safety issue for the stove to have exploded. I have communicated this to GE representatives, they deny responsibility, and they refuse to reimburse us.

I recently moved into my new home on 16 December. I was happy to see all the new shiny GE products with 1 year warranty. On New Year's Day my brand new glass top stove went out without warning. I called GE to schedule an appointment in which they showed up one week later. The technician who seemed very disgruntled did an examination and told us that the new stove was wired incorrectly and that he would have to order parts to repair it. The parts show up 5 days later and after he said he would come around 9 am on my second day off work. He shows at 2:45 and says, "My bad folks. These are the wrong parts and I will have to order them again so they will be here in 3-5 days."

I called customer service to understand why the parts (since their product was faulty) couldn't be overnighted and was transferred twice because it seemed as though no one wanted to address my issue. It is now day 9 since I have been without a stove and seems it will be another 6 days before I may see resolve MAYBE! This is the absolute worst company when it comes to customer service and fixing their own product! I will never purchase another GE anything again! Sad that consumers have to deal with companies like these. New home doesn't feel right.

The unit is a glass top that I got used. It is an older model that was/is still in good shape. The oven temperature is somewhat lower than it credits itself for. The upper unit cleans up nicely when a glass top cleaner is used.

I love this range. I pre-heat it, and it makes a sound when it's pre-heated so I know it's ready to put my food in the oven. It bakes evenly. Easy to keep clean. Has a window to look into. The knobs are located on the front, rather than on the back so I don't get burnt reaching over hot food on the stove. One problem, this in not recommended for a household with little children. They can easily reach the knobs turning on the burners which is not safe. For seniors it's great!

Originally looking for a bottom oven but we're talked out of it by the salesperson. We are glad he did. The range has four burners and a warmer, more than enough space and the oven is spacious and heats evenly, with or without the convection setting.

We have had this electric range for 5 years and had no complaints. It has performed very well. The oven is just the right size for us. We do a lot of baking most of the year and we have had no problems so far.

This range is not expensive as far as ranges go but it performs beautifully and is very attractive. I feel like we got great value for the money we spent. I especially like the grill zone on the cooktop.

We purchased this range (GE Café model CCGS99OSETSS) 4 years ago. I loved the idea of two ovens as I am avid baker. We saved up for a year as it was over $3000.00 but I thought it would be worth it thinking GE was a reputable company and I had read some good reviews. Flash forward to today where neither oven works and we have paid over $200.00 to have two technicians look at the range as GE said the first one wasn't GE certified. Both said it would cost approx. $1000.00 to fix and there was no guarantee that is would not break down again. They also both advised us not to buy GE in the future. This sentiment seems to be echoed by many others on this site.

We contacted GE in Oct and they didn't get back to us until 4 weeks later. Christmas is only a few days away and I haven't been able to do any baking this year and I'm guessing it will not be fixed for Christmas dinner. I'm really hoping for a Christmas miracle where GE will do the right thing and either pay for the full repair or give us a new range. But alas I don't have much faith in GE, sad to see what was once a great company fall so far. PS. I also contacted their president but I have yet to hear back.

My glass door exploded shooting glass splinters everywhere, cutting my ankle. I was shocked by this. When I called to report this they were very friendly on the phone. I asked has this ever happen before. I was told not to their knowledge but they will send a person out to investigate on Dec.1st 2016. Then I checked the computer and to my shock I find out that this is a common occupancy. If this is then they should have a recall on the glass. I am so thankful my grandchildren were not in over to visit. I do believe they are solely responsible for repairs or replacement. But full disclosure should be mandatory. Thank you for allowing me to vent my frustrations on here. I will keep you aware of my situation.

Is anyone having issues with this oven? I am on my third ignitor switch and it is now 2 days before Thanksgiving and no oven. GE customer service will mail me the part by the end of business day tomorrow, but will not install and insists that this is not an issue with their ranges? I think I have a lemon and would like to get a rid of this. I also am so disappointed with GE service and will never buy another one of their products!

Our contractor installed a new 36" GE gas cooktop two years ago. We're very satisfied with it - except for the cheaply made control knobs that keep breaking because the stems are nothing but chrome-coated plastic. GE parts division will replace a knob within a year, but while waiting for replacement knobs we have to swap "good" knobs (i.e., ones not yet broken but soon to break) to the burner we want to use. Come on, GE, surely you can make a knob that last longer than a few months. Gas range knobs have been around since long before plastic was used in the knobs. Infuriating!

I purchased a new kitchen and purchased the GE Cafe Line of Appliances 11/2014. What a mistake! The 5 Burner double oven Gas Stove Model CGS990SETSS burners have never lit properly. I have had 4 service calls and replaced burners. When I purchased the appliance there were 3 items on the convection oven that did not work at all. They replaced defective parts and worked on the igniters. They are now informing me that the fact it still doesn't work and the control module is not functioning again is not their problem. After an hour on the phone again they have offered to pay for defective parts and I have to pay for service call, Labor and take yet another day off of work. FYI. They give you a 4 hr window and sometimes make it. I wish I would have known what a piece of junk the GE Cafe appliances are and how Lowe's does not stand behind any of it.

In addition, the dishwasher model CDT725 was defective and leaked through my newly renovated ceiling. I had to pay for labor and trip charge they paid for defective part. The microwave did not work at all and I had to uninstall it and take to Lowe's to get a new one and install it myself. All I wanted was nice SS appliances that work. Instead I got nothing but headaches added expenses and a lot of time away from work trying to get them fixed and functioning.

I bought four (4) GE appliances in June 2015, in order to get the same color. The refrigerator had to be replaced in less than a week. The freezer frosted over. The stove top is very flimsy and a chip fell out of 1 corner in about a month. I was told by Home Depot it couldn't be replaced because that color (bisque) was not available. After a screaming match, I told them to forget it and contacted GE myself. They shipped one, which had a larger chip in the same place. It was picked up and another one was shipped. It had a LARGER chip. By this time, after dealing with them and Home Depot and getting absolutely no help from either, I kept the stove top and patched it myself.

After going thru weeks of aggravation and frustration with Home Depot, I got my wall oven installed. I put a griddle of bacon in the oven. When I opened the door the griddle full of hot bacon grease slid toward me. A griddle hardly has any sides, so if I hadn't had an oven mitt on, I would've been burned badly. A GE representative, after many calls and arguments from me that the oven was faulty from the factory, finally agreed that the rack slanted and was NOT improperly installed. I have to put two kitchen knives under pans when I am baking to level them.

I was told they could not replace the oven because (once again) that color (bisque) was not available. I said, "So I bought the last one in the whole world?" The agent replied, "probably." After many more calls, I finally accepted a $250 refund and dropped the matter. If I had pursued it, I knew, without a doubt, that I would lose my mind. All this happened over a period of about 6 months. I was on the phone or in Home Depot almost daily.

The last straw is that now the dishwasher has quit working. I bought an extended warranty on three of the appliances, so Home Depot told me I wouldn't have to pay anything (a miracle!). The repairman didn't show yesterday (he had a bad back and couldn't pull the dishwasher out to work on it.) They had told him the "dispenser" didn't work. I had told them the dishwasher wouldn't drain. My advice is never, ever buy GE products. I wrote to GE, called numerous times and the response was: "We don't replace appliances, we repair them." I couldn't convince them that you can't repair appliances that are faulty from the factory.

OK, so I have never had a self-cleaning stove, but I figured it was time, so I bought one from Lowe's last year. It was not pricey, but it is for a downstairs kitchen, so I figured I needn't get too fancy. The stove worked fine UNTIL I decided to use the Self-Cleaning mode. That is when it started smoking and filling the house (3 floors) with an acrid chemical smell and smoke. I contacted GE because it was still under warranty (less than a year old).

MY ADVICE is NEVER buy GE! Long story... they created a "Case", I sent them pics of the stove and the burnt oven and the broken lever that would NOT release after the stove cooled down. Actually, my husband had to pull the plug out from the wall and haul it outside because of the horrible chemical odor and smoke. And the lever would not move. Eventually, we unscrewed the top place and were able to open the oven and take more pics, which we sent to GE.

SO after 4 weeks, they call and say that they will give us "some" money to buy a replacement??? WHAT?? WHY would I want to buy another HORRIBLE stove like that. Anyway, I figured that would be their response because of the other complaints I had read. Of course, they blamed ME, the consumer, saying that there was too much grease??? I followed all the instructions. I cleaned as much as I could before starting the Self-Clean. I will NEVER buy another GE Appliance. NEVER. AND since they do not honor their warranty, why do they give you one?

Literally stopped working after getting wet and the whole system locked up. Repairs proved impossible because we can't get a service technician from the company. It's a lemon. Repairs aren't even guaranteed because the problem recurs if it gets wet. An oven stops working if a pot overflows!! GE isn't even answering our calls. I will never recommend this company. I found it embarrassing. Stay away from this useless expensive paperweight.

This is the worst POS I have ever bought. When you preheat the oven to 350 it goes up to 550 and then you have to wait for it to drop and open the door to expedite this. The glass top gets scratched easy. GE told me numerous times that this is normal. I wish I would have known this before I bought this. Be WARNED. DO NOT BUY A GE PROFILE ELECTRIC RANGE. They are the worst.

I purchased my new General Electric glass top range on 4/2/14. I told the person that delivered it that the door was not closing properly, it was 5/8" open on top. He called GE and they said that there was nothing wrong. The edge of the stove gets very hot and you can burn yourself when using the oven. I called GE consumer affairs on 8/30/16 and told them again about the door and they told me the same thing again.

I had the store repairman come on 9/7/16. He tried to adjust the door to no avail. He also told me he has other people with the same complaint but GE will do nothing. In all my 58 years of owning stoves and cooking I have never had a door that did not close properly. GE should be ashamed of themselves. I will never buy another product from them. I also told them when I broil the door of the oven is hard to keep open. They told me not to open the door when broiling. Their owners manual says to keep the door ajar when broiling. They are not a very trustworthy company.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

GE has been in business for more than 100 years and is one of the most recognized names in American manufacturing. It introduced one of the first mass-market electric stovetops in 1928: the Calrod Electric Range.

• Flexible choices: GE offers a variety of product lines designed specifically for small homes, large homes or businesses.
  • Robust warranties: GE offers extensive warranties on all of its products, usually with the inclusion of home visits from maintenance personnel.
  • GE Fits! Guarantee: GE guarantees that it can find a cooking appliance that will perfectly match the existing dimensions of a client's old appliance.
  • Extensive special features: GE includes a variety of special features for select models, ranging from advanced software to the latest in induction technology and more.
  • Made in America: GE guarantees that most of its appliances are designed and manufactured in the United States, and provides information outlining what percentage of an appliance's components were made in the U.S.
  • Best for Users cooking for one, users cooking for families and users cooking for businesses.

Compare Ranges, Ovens, and Stoves