1.64/5
Based on 76 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

78 Wolf Cooking Appliances Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 4, 2018

We have had Wolf/Subzero in a prior house so when we redid the kitchen in this house that's what I wanted. Our last house had a Wolf gas cooktop, double oven and Subzero fridge. We had no problems. This house was different. We have a Wolf Induction cooktop, Wolf Oven and microwave and Subzero fridge. Our major disappointment has been the Wolf Oven. It simply cannot maintain the selected temperature. The probe is off by 40 degrees F. My thermocouple meter is accurate to less than a degree by the way.

The first tech thought it was the probe. New problem same problem, so he thought it was insulation around the probe jack causing moisture to affect the reading. If that didn't do it it was the board. Tech was just here who knew nothing of prior issues and didn't have a new board so once again problem not solved. The company talks a lot about service but I'd like to see them actually provide some competent service for a change. On another front our Wolf down draft system doesn't work at all. It has an in-line motor in the basement. Do not buy this one. By the way our friends were over last night and they said their Thermador downdraft worked great. The light in our Subzero died and it takes an act of God to get that changed. What happened to swapping bulbs?

Original review: March 19, 2018

The problem with this 48" dual range/oven is when the oven is off. Bizarre. Once the oven is off, the outside of the oven, especially the control panel box, gets extremely hot. My thermometer registers it at 120 degrees, plus. When I spoke to Wolf, they kindly explained that this is fine with them. What? Then continued to tell me that they are within the industry and government standards, wherein these standards allow the temperature to reach 90 degrees above the ambient temperature of your home. Really!

So, the outside of my oven could reach 160 degrees, and this would be fine with them. I mentioned how dangerous this was, and, Sara, then regaled me with her own tales of being burned. Thanks, Wolf. I want this awful thing gone, three months old, and they informed me they would have to pay someone to pick it up, and then pay to have it scrapped, as it would be deemed used and defective. They thought my reimbursement could, I repeat could, be about half-price. So, I can only hope none of my grandchildren get burned. Stay away from a Wolf oven. I loved my old range, had it for years; but this monster is awful.

Get expert buying tips about Ranges, Ovens, and Stoves delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

In 40+ years of appliance ownership, we have never had a more temperamental and needy appliance than our Wolf Range, (48" dual fuel). Numerous problems haunt this expensive thing. I wish I had access to this type of information prior to purchase. If you are considering a Wolf appliance and choose to believe these reviews are merely a small percent of bad-luck stories, then best of luck to you. One of my Wolf breakdowns came two days before Thanksgiving. Since Wolf was unable to send a repair representative prior to the holiday, I called a local appliance repairman that had previously been a Wolf & Sub-Zero Authorized Repair Rep.

He arrived that evening, 8:30 p.m. and ran a few tests. He said condensation had fried the control panel and that Wolf was aware of the problem and had manufactured a retro-fit part which attempted to mitigate the steam problem. He did not have immediate access to these parts, and suggested I call Wolf for installation of the retro-part, and replacement of the fried-panels. Before he departed, he shared that he was building his own home, and that Wolf would be his last choice of Range for his kitchen. So simply ask your friendly appliance repairman if he would own a Wolf.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

Purchased the 36 inch Wolf Range because we thought it was the best in the world, finally arrived and the oven would shut off after we turned it on. Had it serviced under warranty and after the third time the repair guy came out because it still wasn't working properly. He told me he did all he can do. He basically replaced about 6 parts, still not working properly, so I had to call again, this time they sent out the supervisor, very nice guy by the way, he told me the other guy didn't line up the ignitor properly.

He ended up replacing three parts and he told me the ceramic pan was cracked in the bottom of the oven, so he had to replace that. One of the igniters on the top of the stove won't shut off, it keeps clicking like it's trying to light while it's already on. It goes on like this for 20 minutes or longer. So Many problems for such an expensive stove, and it's only a year old. Me and my wife have no confidence in this product or the company. So much for buying American Made garbage products.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

Bought a 6 burner in 2004. Have replaced the seal under burners (mfg defect) under warranty, the oven igniter 3 times and the oven burner once because it melted near the igniter. Now it looks as though we will have to replace the oven burner again. As many have said, we also replaced the cheap plastic knobs on the fan. You decide if this normal course for a very expensive product. Don’t think we would purchase again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wolf?

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

Wolf Dual Fuel 30" Range - I think each buyer needs to decide for themselves whether these stoves are worth the money. We believe we made a great purchase. The dual stack burners are amazing for precision heating. The oven is perfect and very accurate. The cooling fan, unlike our older DCS is quiet. The burner drip pan is enameled, making cleanup a breeze. That said, I have two issues that I would expect on a premium stove. Major - there are no led indicator lights at each burner knob that clearly states (from across the room) that the burner is lit. Especially with a very low simmer, it can be hard to determine whether the burner is on or off. A simple led will clearly tell you. Minor - I think the oven light should come on and remain on as long as the oven is on, not just went the door is opened. My preference!

Original review: Dec. 25, 2017

Purchased oven (Wolf dual 48 “ Oven) about 7 years ago. Nothing but costly repeated problems. Two motherboards replaced 3 times. Blower and temp controls replaced. Wolf offered to replace if I paid 3000 and shipping and installation. Crazy. Now I have to bang oven to set temp and often fails to hold temp. If you try to change temp during baking it will shut off. For 17,000 Dollars you would think It should be quality. Absolutely not. I won’t put another penny in this junk. Call me for more details and warning. ** Vero Beach Florida.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

I purchased my Dual Fuel Range 15 years ago and repeatedly have had costly problems. I can’t even use the grill as I’m tired of putting money into something that doesn’t work. Next the ovens won’t maintain a constant temperature. Now the latest the entire gas manifold has deteriorated and has to be replaced. So here it is a week before Christmas and I have no stove top. The cost of this repair is well over $1000.00. Plus the mere fact that this could have happened just blows my mind. I have a 60inch range that costs more than a lot of cars and is and has failed so many times. Wolf offers no support in any of these problems.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

Purchased 3 Wolf products. $14,000.00 1. 36" Range/Oven Has been serviced 2 times in 3 years. Igniter broke twice. No help from Wolf. $7,000.00. Range Hood Very loud. Broken light and fan knob made out of plastic. Went to Ace Hardware and bought replacement knobs in metal for pennies. $2,000.00 for plastic that easily should have been metal. They obviously do not care about quality. Outdoor BBQ w/ infrared burner. $4,000.00. Radiant burner replaced 3 times. One was warranty with $250 labor charge. The other two times were on me for $400.00 each, It is now broke again and seems ready to blow up should I use it. Wolf should contact me and make things right but my guess is I will not hear from them. WE have told many that their products are not worth 1/4 of their cost. Should have bought GE or other.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

After much worrying over whether to spend the money, my Wolf 48 inch stove arrive, broken. One of the burners did not work right out of the box. We had to have it serviced before we used it once. After reading the other reviews, I am worried we just wasted a lot of money.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

Bought a Wolf range (6 burner) gas, paid almost 8,000 CAD for it. Worst investment of my life! The inside of the range is peeling (second replacement). The igniters have a mind of their own. It stays on for several hours before it shuts off. The oven turns off on its own mid through baking or roasting, messing up my cakes etc... I need to turn on a burner to kick start the gas flow to the oven again. I would never buy another Wolf product again. Very disappointing.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

The fan knobs on my Wolf expensive exhaust fan kept falling off. As soon as I am cooking for a while the knobs fall off in the pots, the oil or sauces are in. I paid for a technician to come out because the fancy company bought all from did not bother to tell me anything! Even though, you and I, know they know fully well the problems these brands have. Then the company sent me new knobs. Finally they admitted to the defect and that new knobs will be coming out. I have not heard back from them and now I am getting the runaround!!! They never had a complaint from me!!! Two years plus now. Meanwhile the oven door is not closing right and the middle gas burner in front comes on like too strong and high.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

Wolf 36" Range- Bad and Service Horrible. 2-3 years after spending 8k on this range it essentially stopped working. We called Wolf for service. They referred us to a service company. That service company charged for the appointment and said it was an electrical issue. We hired an electrician to run service to the unit and this turned out not to be the issue. We continued to have the same issue with the main control board. Then an igniter went bad. Then the control for the front right burner went bad. Now, the oven door spring must have gone bad, as the door wont stay closed and the oven won't stay on. Read their website speaking of their customer service - It's non existent. - It says 24/7- that's as much BS as the rest. Call them on the weekend or in the evening - it's an answering service. DO NOT BUY THIS BRAND - BEWARE.

Original review: June 19, 2017

After four repairs on the first steam oven, Wolf agreed to replace the entire unit. I'm on my second one now and after less than a month I have another part failure. Extremely unreliable product. It's too bad because I had high hopes of enjoying healthier cooking but it's worked for about a week out of the 6 months I've owned it. Beware.

Original review: May 22, 2017

My Wolf 36" hood is 10 months old and the light switch knob broke. Took a look at it and it is made from cheap, flimsy plastic. Yes, the outside LOOKS like stainless. I then looked at the fan control knob. Even worse--both the shaft AND the knob are cheap plastic. Hmm--expensive hood, cheesy-cheap plastic parts from a company that likes to exude quality--makes you wonder what's under the appliance "hood".

Original review: April 11, 2017

So far not so good on our Wolf oven. Wolf sends out a tech who represents them for service. Our oven will not maintain temperature. The tech replaces an element & a burner. That did not take care of the problem & cost us close to 500.00. Wolf is going to send out that same tech this week to try & take care of the problem. Why not keep replacing parts until the problem is solved. Let's hope the problem is taken care of this time at n/c... Next call will be to the Attorney General.

Original review: April 1, 2017

First, we went the 36" induction cooktop (914 - Model CT36IU) and downdraft 2 years ago when remodeling our kitchen. No gas line meant no gas cooktop, so after research, went with the induction. I LOVE the almost instant 'heat up' and immediate 'cool down' control that induction gives me. After the initial investment in a new set of cookware after 43 years of marriage, I'm hooked on induction! However, I periodically notice a 'sour milk' smell that comes from the glass cooktop after using. Following directions, I clean it with a soft cloth and water. I can't determine if the smell originates in the glass or from the downdraft area. Has anyone else noticed this?

Original review: March 22, 2017

I love my Wolf 6-burner cooktop and oven, however my Wolf Fan Hood (all purchased 3 years ago) is a piece of **. We've had to replace the PLASTIC fan switch 4 times on our powerful, stainless steel hood. They cost something like $20 each time. Recently, the light switch started to wobble and then stopped functioning. Today, we paid $173 to have the service company come and replace the switches. He confirmed that he has seen these times many times before on Wolf hoods. I'm very disappointed with this hood and will go NON-WOLF with all my appliances, in my next kitchen.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2017

The oven looks wonderful, but I question the accuracy of the temperature. I hate how it takes over 12 minutes to preheat to 350. My crappy old oven at the cottage heats up in minutes. That's my only really big issue, but I have never done anything about it. Just live with it.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2017

We completed a total remodel of our kitchen recently which included all new appliances. We went with KitchenAid except for the cooktop which we got the Wolf (Wolf 36" gas cooktop). My wife really liked, which I can understand, the 2 tier burner with low and high flames. We finished right before Christmas and our daughter's wedding so the house was full and a lot of cooking going on. Naturally there were a couple spills but NOTHING major. My wife pointed out that one lower burner was not functioning. I have always done all the repairs on everything as we own a manufacturing company and I am a tool and die maker by trade. Just so you understand, I could have built this thing from scratch if I was inclined to do it.

Going into the fix I could see problems in the design. The burners are attached to one large pan and sit just above the surface by 1/8". The lower burner holes are just above that. Here are the problems unless you Never spill, drip, boil over or wipe with a less than sterile rag (good luck with that). Anything that gets near the burner will clog the orifices (holes). With a normal cooktop it's not an issue but Wolf decided to build these burners so nothing but a service tech can clean them. Literally, if you spill, call a tech! Even then if you get a tech with little to no experience they can destroy the burner. The burners are a soft cast aluminum, they used tamper proof self-tapping screws to assemble them. When you try to remove them (with a tool from McMaster-Carr) the threads gall and get stripped out. This now requires a helicoil repair which I did.

NOW the problem, I spilled a little soup on another burner, one of the small ones and quickly tried to get it before it happened again but no luck. I went to my shop to get the tooling for the project and when I took the burner out it would not come apart. The small burners are swaged together. If you spill on them, replace it! Not me, I will take it to work tomorrow, drill out the swages, tap the holes, clean it and assemble it. God help a consumer who does not have the resources to do these things. And remember, this is only 2 months old! AVOID WOLF!!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2017

Got wolf stove in 2009. Love the look and love the operations. Recently began having trouble with door closing and found out that it is now 200 dollars just to have Wolf representative show up. For price I would go with another provider with better service. Our experience was with Caplan's where we purchased all appliances. Was the worst experience we have ever had in after purchase service. Would not return under any circumstances ever.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

I've owned my Wolf microwave going on 11 yrs w/ absolutely no problems. It does everything I need it to do. I'm sure technology has only improved it's capabilities...if that is even possible! Money spent well! I would highly recommend my Wolf microwave.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2016

I purchased a subzero freezer and Wolf induction cooktop. Both broke within 1 month of installation. The subzero freezer's ice maker stopped working and needed to be serviced and a burner on the Wolf cooktop never worked. You pay top dollar for this stuff and it doesn't work. They make a big deal about how you can call 24 hours a day, but that is very misleading. Yes you talk to a live person anytime, but that person knows basically nothing about the products and essentially all they do is give you a phone number to a service technician. Something you could get online. The company makes it sound like you get 24 hour care... good luck with that. You have to wait for a technician to come out just like any other appliance company. Their products looks nice, but that is really what you are paying for.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2016

We purchased a Wolf microwave, one we were told was manufactured by Sharp, as part of a kitchen remodel two years ago. Along with it a Sub Zero fridge and Wolf stove. Time to step up to the best we thought. I really hope our experience isn't indicative of what actually is the best. Horrible to think about what happens with less than best. The latest microwave service call, I believe our third, resulted in a new electronic control, the previous one having "burnt out", the result of living near the ocean we were also told. This product has not met reliability expectations for even an average product not to mention one that cost as much as this did. Wolf, sooner or later this will negatively affect your brand reputation.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2016

Condensation caused both electronic boards and transformer to burn. Heat from transformer causes condensation. Parts are very expensive. Both boards and transformer cost $600+. With labor total bill will be more than the cost of the Ice maker. I will never, ever buy or recommend to anybody to Sub-Zero appliance.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2016

All our kitchen with Wolf appliances for 5 years, so many issues, very cheap, plastic material. The worst is the oven, many changes of sensors motherboard, thousand $$$$ more lost. This brand is not a PROFESSIONAL one, a true shame.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2016

I have 5 sub zero/wolf appliances some of which I have had for over 20 years. They are the best! I have found Wolf to be a great company and very supportive. After years of owning my subzero refrigerator I did not realize how fresh it kept my food as it had just became a norm. At my lake home because of expense we did not get a subzero refrigerator/freezer. What a mistake! When I asked my husband what he would have changed in our major remodeling project, his response was to get the subzero refrigerator/freezer. Nothing Better then Subzero/Wolf.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2016

Very big mistake. A big blunder. I bought the highest brand and a big crap. Impossible to clean and coating already coming off. Stove is just 2 months old. I would never recommend to anyone. Waste of money.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2016

I own a LP Gas and electric oven Wolf Range. It was delivered broken (the elements broke during shipping) I've had 9 or 10 repairs on it. It started a fire during a cleaning cycle. I replaced the entire oven cavity, all of the elements and fans. Now it's broken again. It is the WORST appliance I've ever owned. Spare yourself the headache and the $10,000. You cannot get parts to fix it yourself, you have to pay HUGE amounts for a Wolf appliance repair.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2016

Wolf 48 Inch Range with griddle - Sorry folks! I absolutely love my range. Wouldn't trade it for anything else. I had a very small problem with it when it was under warranty and repairman fixed it without any complaint. Love the griddle for cooking for large groups. Love the simmer and the list could go on and on. I've had it for 6 years!!!

Wolf expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Wolf Sub Zero was founded in 1945 as the Sub Zero Freezer Company. The company began producing cooking appliances in 2000, after acquiring the Wolf Range Corporation and its manufacturing facilities.

• Built-in expertise: Wolf was a pioneer of built-in appliances and maintains that reputation with its cooking units.

• Extensive warranties: Wolf offers one of the most extensive warranty programs in the industry for its cooking appliances.

• Online support: Wolf's online support center contains a wide range of support options for everything from product information to scheduling in-home visits.

• Flexible installation options: Wolf's extensive array of choices for free standing units gives buyers many options for designing kitchen layouts.

• Gas specialty: Wolf's long history in gas cooking makes it a specialist in gas fuel cooking appliances.

• Best for: Users cooking for one and users cooking for families.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs