1.69/5
Based on 86 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

88 Wolf Cooking Appliances Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I purchased a $12,000 Wolf dual range in a recent kitchen remodel. One of the worst mistakes of my life. The temperature control on the ovens is totally worthless, had too may repairmen out to try and fix. No luck. One day the temp is 250 degrees with 350 selected, another 425. I have never had problems with less expensive models in the past. Recipes I've used over my life in four different ovens, no longer work on this beautiful looking worthless piece of kitchen equipment. I thought I did due diligence in vetting this before I bought it, wrong. I should have gone with Viking or General Electric. Learn by my mistakes.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

Half the burners on the range stopped working within about a month - I need to use a match to light them because the electronic ignitor failed. No way to know the temp setting. So dumb - but the oven has no clear line or indent adjacent to the circular temp knob - it is just "approximate" when a temp # is at the roughly 12 o'clock position. Convection fan has no indication if it is on or off except a very quiet hum that is barely audible. The switch is pushed on but appears same when in on or off position and there is no indicator light or anything else. Dumb design. We have left convection running for hours at times since it is nearly impossible to tell when it's on.

Get expert buying tips about Ranges, Ovens, and Stoves delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I just burned two fingertips as I tried to move the pot next to the big front burner to make room for the large pot being brought to a boil on the large burner. The flame is so huge on the large burner that even with a 14" diameter pot the flames shoot out around it. This 5 burner stove has one huge burner- this is way too big. The next one in the front barely boils water. There is a medium burner in the back - but if you have a pot in front of it, you won't really fit more than a tiny saucepan on the back - and who really has so many burners going at one time? I hate this stove - never again will I buy something like this. I had the range top before and it was much better.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

I have a three year old USD1000 Plus wall mounted Wolf Microwave besides 60 inch Sub-Zero refrigerator systems, huge dual fuel oven System and a Steam Oven as well. Unfortunately for me, I did not any research before buying and renovating my kitchen. Since last one year Wolf Microwave is repaired four times from qualified technicians (once under warranty). Wishing weeks of repair, the product conks off. Last three times with twenty four hours power system shuts off itself within microwave. Technicians come and replace fuse, the PC board with no luck. I have used for years small countertop Microwaves. For more than 20 years nothing happens to them. I am disappointed with my all American built Microwave and the Manufacturer.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I was very excited to purchase #wolfdoubleovens when I received a letter from #jimbakke, President and CEO of #subzero, the parent company of #wolf welcoming me to the family and promising "high standards and a rewarding experience." My cousins raved about these ovens and the reviews I had read assured me of a smooth cooking experience and terrific product support, if necessary. What I found instead was a company unwilling to live up to its reputation, skirting responsibility and blaming others for its failures. My troubles began when I opened the crate and found a used product instead of new, out-of-the-box ovens promised by the dealer I found on eBay, #LQDLLC, who claimed to be the largest open-box Wolf dealer in the country.

Sadly, the ovens had sat in my garage for several months while I was renovating the house, and the window for returning the ovens had expired. So I contacted the fellow who sold me the ovens, #daniel**, who said the ovens came straight from #wolf and could not have been shipped in used condition. Not only were the ovens used, but they were full of stains, some of which had severely damaged the enamel and heating elements. So, I called the legendary #Wolfcustomersupport and spoke with #kent**, who couldn't have been more apologetic and promised to investigate and get back to me within 24-48 hours, which he did. What he had to say, though, was less encouraging than I had hoped to hear. He told me that because I purchased the ovens not from one of their certified dealers, they couldn't offer me any assistance, and that I should continue dealing with #LQDLLC.

So there I was caught in the middle with both parties blaming one another and I was left with a pair of ovens that looked like the inside of my wood-burning stove. So I called Wolf again to inquire if the ovens were still covered under warranty - they were indeed, as #kent** reluctantly acknowledged, and when I insisted that they be treated under the warranty, he acquiesced and sent a technician to take a look at them to see what could be replaced. When the technician arrived and confirmed that all interior panels and racks were damaged and needed to be replaced, he reported his findings to #Wolf. But my hopes were quickly dashed when #wolf refused to replace anything other than the bottom 2 panels that had suffered the most damage. To make matters worse, they were not even willing to pay for labor, which was estimated at $200.

So, after several attempts, I finally managed to get a hold of #daniel** of #LQDLLC and convinced him to pay for labor. Several days later, the panels were replaced but this #wolfexperience left me dejected and extremely dissatisfied. I was counting on #wolf and #subzero to have much greater control of their dealer network and to support their products and reputation much more vigorously. Just to contrast this experience with another top-tier brand, #bosch, whose induction cooktop I purchased from eBay and which arrived with broken glass.

Sadly, I also failed to notice the damage since the cooktop sat unopened in my garage for several months, alongside #wolfdoubleovens. When the damage was discovered and I contacted #bosch, they immediately sent a replacement glass and a technician to install it, no questions asked. They paid for everything, and gained my immediate support. #subzerowolf, on the other hand, failed to live up to expectations. And, now, when I'm in the market to replace my refrigerator, my choice will be simplified - #notsubzero. and #notanotherwolf product ever again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wolf?

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

We've had our Wolf oven for a few months now. When operating, it has this horrible, loud hum that just won't stop until I turn the oven off. So the entire time something is baking, you have to endure loud humming. We've had the appliance maintenance man out several times, and he said the hum was "normal". He claims it is "the fans on low". Not sure what that means, but I have no choice but to deal with it. I can't return the unit. I have learned to just leave my kitchen, but I would recommend to all to avoid purchasing a Wolf oven.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Fan stopped working due to a bad installation probably. Wolf was AMAZING about it. Immediately replaced the oven with a completely new product totally free within 2 weeks flat. I recommend Wolf because they have amazing customer service and you can rest easy they stand by their products. Called some other companies and was told their companies never would have replaced the oven only repair. So glad I went with Subzero-Wolf!!!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

We have bought all Wolf/Sub-Zero appliances (fridge, wine fridge, 36" range, oven, microwave) for our second home in Napa Valley. installed in 2016. The Wolf microwave display has always been very dim, now cannot see the numbers at all! The repair tech came out today and said he would have to try to change out the display but I am not sure if this will fix the problem.

The Sub Zero fridge is a 30 inch unit with freezer drawers on the bottom. Drawer does not appear to seal when pushed shut, the last time we came back to this home after 3 weeks, all the food in the freezer was moldy and spoilt. According to the tech, it works fine, and one just has to be sure to push in. BTW the door alarm is very soft and does not seem to sound an alarm if the freezer drawer is open, only if the main fridge door is open. With the freezer at the bottom, the top shelf of the fridge is at around 5'10", so way too high for an average height female (I am 5'4"), only good for packed goods or veggies that would be easy to pull out.

The shelves are adjustable but with way they fit and poor design, you cannot even place a bottle of wine vertically in the main area. I have owned a 48" subzero (side by side) in our other home for around 18 years and have had no major issues, also all the food and shelves are quite accessible in both the fridge and freezer. I would not recommend this smaller 30" fridge due to poor design. It is not easy to find and schedule service calls for these high end appliances either.

Resolution response: Aug. 15, 2018

I posted a few days ago about the issues I had with the racks (36" Wolf Dual Fuel Range Oven) after self cleaning. I can now report that I contacted Wolf and after some discussion they will replace my racks. I also suggested that their brochure state that racks and rails will distort if not removed during self cleaning. Extremely happy with their customer service.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

We purchased a 36" Wolf Dual Fuel Range 2 years ago. Love the gas top. The electric oven is another story. I did not remove the racks and side rails the first time I had it on clean mode. The reason to remove them I read is because they would discolour. I had no issues with the discolouration so didn't bother. Now that I have further looked into this, the real reason is that they will distort!!! Which is exactly what happened. Now the racks do not move in and out smoothly and are hard to get in and out. The blue enamel is all chipped on the door because of the racks not being push in all the way. The third rack that is a full extension ball bearing does not go in at all and I can no longer use it. For the price of this stove, I would expect the racks and rails and the enamel to hold up better. Loved my Jenn-Air oven better than this one. So so, disappointed.

Original review: July 28, 2018

Within one month of receiving a new Wolf electric cooktop because first one had a fan problem, it looks terrible. I have an area on one of the burners that looks like the top layer has been removed. It is so difficult to clean, that I had to have my son try it. I spend at least 20 minutes every other day trying to get this thing clean. It's literally impossible to do it. That's why it gets such low ratings.

Original review: April 4, 2018

We have had Wolf/Subzero in a prior house so when we redid the kitchen in this house that's what I wanted. Our last house had a Wolf gas cooktop, double oven and Subzero fridge. We had no problems. This house was different. We have a Wolf Induction cooktop, Wolf Oven and microwave and Subzero fridge. Our major disappointment has been the Wolf Oven. It simply cannot maintain the selected temperature. The probe is off by 40 degrees F. My thermocouple meter is accurate to less than a degree by the way.

The first tech thought it was the probe. New problem same problem, so he thought it was insulation around the probe jack causing moisture to affect the reading. If that didn't do it it was the board. Tech was just here who knew nothing of prior issues and didn't have a new board so once again problem not solved. The company talks a lot about service but I'd like to see them actually provide some competent service for a change. On another front our Wolf down draft system doesn't work at all. It has an in-line motor in the basement. Do not buy this one. By the way our friends were over last night and they said their Thermador downdraft worked great. The light in our Subzero died and it takes an act of God to get that changed. What happened to swapping bulbs?

Original review: March 19, 2018

The problem with this 48" dual range/oven is when the oven is off. Bizarre. Once the oven is off, the outside of the oven, especially the control panel box, gets extremely hot. My thermometer registers it at 120 degrees, plus. When I spoke to Wolf, they kindly explained that this is fine with them. What? Then continued to tell me that they are within the industry and government standards, wherein these standards allow the temperature to reach 90 degrees above the ambient temperature of your home. Really!

So, the outside of my oven could reach 160 degrees, and this would be fine with them. I mentioned how dangerous this was, and, Sara, then regaled me with her own tales of being burned. Thanks, Wolf. I want this awful thing gone, three months old, and they informed me they would have to pay someone to pick it up, and then pay to have it scrapped, as it would be deemed used and defective. They thought my reimbursement could, I repeat could, be about half-price. So, I can only hope none of my grandchildren get burned. Stay away from a Wolf oven. I loved my old range, had it for years; but this monster is awful.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

In 40+ years of appliance ownership, we have never had a more temperamental and needy appliance than our Wolf Range, (48" dual fuel). Numerous problems haunt this expensive thing. I wish I had access to this type of information prior to purchase. If you are considering a Wolf appliance and choose to believe these reviews are merely a small percent of bad-luck stories, then best of luck to you. One of my Wolf breakdowns came two days before Thanksgiving. Since Wolf was unable to send a repair representative prior to the holiday, I called a local appliance repairman that had previously been a Wolf & Sub-Zero Authorized Repair Rep.

He arrived that evening, 8:30 p.m. and ran a few tests. He said condensation had fried the control panel and that Wolf was aware of the problem and had manufactured a retro-fit part which attempted to mitigate the steam problem. He did not have immediate access to these parts, and suggested I call Wolf for installation of the retro-part, and replacement of the fried-panels. Before he departed, he shared that he was building his own home, and that Wolf would be his last choice of Range for his kitchen. So simply ask your friendly appliance repairman if he would own a Wolf.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

Purchased the 36 inch Wolf Range because we thought it was the best in the world, finally arrived and the oven would shut off after we turned it on. Had it serviced under warranty and after the third time the repair guy came out because it still wasn't working properly. He told me he did all he can do. He basically replaced about 6 parts, still not working properly, so I had to call again, this time they sent out the supervisor, very nice guy by the way, he told me the other guy didn't line up the ignitor properly.

He ended up replacing three parts and he told me the ceramic pan was cracked in the bottom of the oven, so he had to replace that. One of the igniters on the top of the stove won't shut off, it keeps clicking like it's trying to light while it's already on. It goes on like this for 20 minutes or longer. So Many problems for such an expensive stove, and it's only a year old. Me and my wife have no confidence in this product or the company. So much for buying American Made garbage products.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

Bought a 6 burner in 2004. Have replaced the seal under burners (mfg defect) under warranty, the oven igniter 3 times and the oven burner once because it melted near the igniter. Now it looks as though we will have to replace the oven burner again. As many have said, we also replaced the cheap plastic knobs on the fan. You decide if this normal course for a very expensive product. Don’t think we would purchase again.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

Wolf Dual Fuel 30" Range - I think each buyer needs to decide for themselves whether these stoves are worth the money. We believe we made a great purchase. The dual stack burners are amazing for precision heating. The oven is perfect and very accurate. The cooling fan, unlike our older DCS is quiet. The burner drip pan is enameled, making cleanup a breeze. That said, I have two issues that I would expect on a premium stove. Major - there are no led indicator lights at each burner knob that clearly states (from across the room) that the burner is lit. Especially with a very low simmer, it can be hard to determine whether the burner is on or off. A simple led will clearly tell you. Minor - I think the oven light should come on and remain on as long as the oven is on, not just went the door is opened. My preference!

Original review: Dec. 25, 2017

Purchased oven (Wolf dual 48 “ Oven) about 7 years ago. Nothing but costly repeated problems. Two motherboards replaced 3 times. Blower and temp controls replaced. Wolf offered to replace if I paid 3000 and shipping and installation. Crazy. Now I have to bang oven to set temp and often fails to hold temp. If you try to change temp during baking it will shut off. For 17,000 Dollars you would think It should be quality. Absolutely not. I won’t put another penny in this junk. Call me for more details and warning. ** Vero Beach Florida.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

I purchased my Dual Fuel Range 15 years ago and repeatedly have had costly problems. I can’t even use the grill as I’m tired of putting money into something that doesn’t work. Next the ovens won’t maintain a constant temperature. Now the latest the entire gas manifold has deteriorated and has to be replaced. So here it is a week before Christmas and I have no stove top. The cost of this repair is well over $1000.00. Plus the mere fact that this could have happened just blows my mind. I have a 60inch range that costs more than a lot of cars and is and has failed so many times. Wolf offers no support in any of these problems.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

Purchased 3 Wolf products. $14,000.00 1. 36" Range/Oven Has been serviced 2 times in 3 years. Igniter broke twice. No help from Wolf. $7,000.00. Range Hood Very loud. Broken light and fan knob made out of plastic. Went to Ace Hardware and bought replacement knobs in metal for pennies. $2,000.00 for plastic that easily should have been metal. They obviously do not care about quality. Outdoor BBQ w/ infrared burner. $4,000.00. Radiant burner replaced 3 times. One was warranty with $250 labor charge. The other two times were on me for $400.00 each, It is now broke again and seems ready to blow up should I use it. Wolf should contact me and make things right but my guess is I will not hear from them. WE have told many that their products are not worth 1/4 of their cost. Should have bought GE or other.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

After much worrying over whether to spend the money, my Wolf 48 inch stove arrive, broken. One of the burners did not work right out of the box. We had to have it serviced before we used it once. After reading the other reviews, I am worried we just wasted a lot of money.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

Bought a Wolf range (6 burner) gas, paid almost 8,000 CAD for it. Worst investment of my life! The inside of the range is peeling (second replacement). The igniters have a mind of their own. It stays on for several hours before it shuts off. The oven turns off on its own mid through baking or roasting, messing up my cakes etc... I need to turn on a burner to kick start the gas flow to the oven again. I would never buy another Wolf product again. Very disappointing.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

The fan knobs on my Wolf expensive exhaust fan kept falling off. As soon as I am cooking for a while the knobs fall off in the pots, the oil or sauces are in. I paid for a technician to come out because the fancy company bought all from did not bother to tell me anything! Even though, you and I, know they know fully well the problems these brands have. Then the company sent me new knobs. Finally they admitted to the defect and that new knobs will be coming out. I have not heard back from them and now I am getting the runaround!!! They never had a complaint from me!!! Two years plus now. Meanwhile the oven door is not closing right and the middle gas burner in front comes on like too strong and high.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

Wolf 36" Range- Bad and Service Horrible. 2-3 years after spending 8k on this range it essentially stopped working. We called Wolf for service. They referred us to a service company. That service company charged for the appointment and said it was an electrical issue. We hired an electrician to run service to the unit and this turned out not to be the issue. We continued to have the same issue with the main control board. Then an igniter went bad. Then the control for the front right burner went bad. Now, the oven door spring must have gone bad, as the door wont stay closed and the oven won't stay on. Read their website speaking of their customer service - It's non existent. - It says 24/7- that's as much BS as the rest. Call them on the weekend or in the evening - it's an answering service. DO NOT BUY THIS BRAND - BEWARE.

Original review: June 19, 2017

After four repairs on the first steam oven, Wolf agreed to replace the entire unit. I'm on my second one now and after less than a month I have another part failure. Extremely unreliable product. It's too bad because I had high hopes of enjoying healthier cooking but it's worked for about a week out of the 6 months I've owned it. Beware.

Original review: May 22, 2017

My Wolf 36" hood is 10 months old and the light switch knob broke. Took a look at it and it is made from cheap, flimsy plastic. Yes, the outside LOOKS like stainless. I then looked at the fan control knob. Even worse--both the shaft AND the knob are cheap plastic. Hmm--expensive hood, cheesy-cheap plastic parts from a company that likes to exude quality--makes you wonder what's under the appliance "hood".

Original review: April 11, 2017

So far not so good on our Wolf oven. Wolf sends out a tech who represents them for service. Our oven will not maintain temperature. The tech replaces an element & a burner. That did not take care of the problem & cost us close to 500.00. Wolf is going to send out that same tech this week to try & take care of the problem. Why not keep replacing parts until the problem is solved. Let's hope the problem is taken care of this time at n/c... Next call will be to the Attorney General.

Original review: April 1, 2017

First, we went the 36" induction cooktop (914 - Model CT36IU) and downdraft 2 years ago when remodeling our kitchen. No gas line meant no gas cooktop, so after research, went with the induction. I LOVE the almost instant 'heat up' and immediate 'cool down' control that induction gives me. After the initial investment in a new set of cookware after 43 years of marriage, I'm hooked on induction! However, I periodically notice a 'sour milk' smell that comes from the glass cooktop after using. Following directions, I clean it with a soft cloth and water. I can't determine if the smell originates in the glass or from the downdraft area. Has anyone else noticed this?

Original review: March 22, 2017

I love my Wolf 6-burner cooktop and oven, however my Wolf Fan Hood (all purchased 3 years ago) is a piece of **. We've had to replace the PLASTIC fan switch 4 times on our powerful, stainless steel hood. They cost something like $20 each time. Recently, the light switch started to wobble and then stopped functioning. Today, we paid $173 to have the service company come and replace the switches. He confirmed that he has seen these times many times before on Wolf hoods. I'm very disappointed with this hood and will go NON-WOLF with all my appliances, in my next kitchen.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2017

The oven looks wonderful, but I question the accuracy of the temperature. I hate how it takes over 12 minutes to preheat to 350. My crappy old oven at the cottage heats up in minutes. That's my only really big issue, but I have never done anything about it. Just live with it.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2017

We completed a total remodel of our kitchen recently which included all new appliances. We went with KitchenAid except for the cooktop which we got the Wolf (Wolf 36" gas cooktop). My wife really liked, which I can understand, the 2 tier burner with low and high flames. We finished right before Christmas and our daughter's wedding so the house was full and a lot of cooking going on. Naturally there were a couple spills but NOTHING major. My wife pointed out that one lower burner was not functioning. I have always done all the repairs on everything as we own a manufacturing company and I am a tool and die maker by trade. Just so you understand, I could have built this thing from scratch if I was inclined to do it.

Going into the fix I could see problems in the design. The burners are attached to one large pan and sit just above the surface by 1/8". The lower burner holes are just above that. Here are the problems unless you Never spill, drip, boil over or wipe with a less than sterile rag (good luck with that). Anything that gets near the burner will clog the orifices (holes). With a normal cooktop it's not an issue but Wolf decided to build these burners so nothing but a service tech can clean them. Literally, if you spill, call a tech! Even then if you get a tech with little to no experience they can destroy the burner. The burners are a soft cast aluminum, they used tamper proof self-tapping screws to assemble them. When you try to remove them (with a tool from McMaster-Carr) the threads gall and get stripped out. This now requires a helicoil repair which I did.

NOW the problem, I spilled a little soup on another burner, one of the small ones and quickly tried to get it before it happened again but no luck. I went to my shop to get the tooling for the project and when I took the burner out it would not come apart. The small burners are swaged together. If you spill on them, replace it! Not me, I will take it to work tomorrow, drill out the swages, tap the holes, clean it and assemble it. God help a consumer who does not have the resources to do these things. And remember, this is only 2 months old! AVOID WOLF!!

Wolf expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Wolf Sub Zero was founded in 1945 as the Sub Zero Freezer Company. The company began producing cooking appliances in 2000, after acquiring the Wolf Range Corporation and its manufacturing facilities.

• Built-in expertise: Wolf was a pioneer of built-in appliances and maintains that reputation with its cooking units.

• Extensive warranties: Wolf offers one of the most extensive warranty programs in the industry for its cooking appliances.

• Online support: Wolf's online support center contains a wide range of support options for everything from product information to scheduling in-home visits.

• Flexible installation options: Wolf's extensive array of choices for free standing units gives buyers many options for designing kitchen layouts.

• Gas specialty: Wolf's long history in gas cooking makes it a specialist in gas fuel cooking appliances.

• Best for: Users cooking for one and users cooking for families.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs