Culligan

Compare Water Treatment Systems

Research top Water Treatment Systems recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

This is the second time Mr. ** was at my residence. Without going into the problems, I found Mr. ** to be KNOWLEDGEABLE, PERSONABLE and a Credit to the Culligan Co. I'm a homeowner, who owns your equipment, and over the years I found other technicians not up to par with Mr. **!!!

Very bad service. Have had Culligan Water Service for approximately 4 years and seldom receive water tank on scheduled date. Have to call nearly every month to remind them that I have paid but not getting what I have paid for. If there was anywhere else to get soft water service I would never do business with Culligan.

Completed a total home redo. Due to failed furnace/frozen pipes flooding... the final project, putting in water filtration system. Decided on Culligan of BattleCreek/Kalamazoo MI... install on June 30, 2017. Home flooded within the week (due to faulty Culligan valve per Dave/Jeff from Culligan). Had to fight with gm to have ServiceMaster come to property to find "where the water" went. Asked for $324. compensation? 1/4 of contract... which as of today denied. Went to International Culligan consumer affairs who shouted out to David **, owner of both Culligans and 48 hours later no response. Do not, I repeat, do not buy from this company. Gordons/Kinetico system better.

I have been a Culligan customer for a little over 5 months. Since the beginning of my contract, there were problems. I was told that my tanks would be able to be changed on the weekend. When no one showed up to change them. I found out the information I was given was not true. After that date, none of my exchanges were done at the scheduled time if the representative even showed up. I was never given a courtesy call to inform me that they were unable to come.

After, working for a month to get a standing appointment there have still been problems. I received a voicemail at 5 am from the fill in representative telling me that his regular route was too far from my home to make it. I finally decided to disconnect my service and ended up in a debate with the customer service representative who stated someone came to my house but couldn't get in. If it wasn't for the voicemail I had from the tech saying he wasn't coming they may have been able to use that as an excuse.

I have had a Culligan softener and a reverse osmosis drinking water system installed at my last two homes. As of 2017 I've had a total of 27 years of experience with the company and their products. I've never had a significant problem with the company or its products. At my older home the salesman explained that their monthly service is not something I need. It meets the needs of seniors and others who find it inconvenient to purchase and transport the heavy salt bags necessary to softener operation. I've had each system maintained every year or two, costing $100-200. In 27 years, the software has failed once. It cost something over $100 to return it to service.

If I were to purchase another home I'd call Culligan again. Based on my experience I have recommended Culligan to others and I will continue to do so. To my knowledge, neither I nor any member of my family and no friend or co-worker has worked for or with Culligan or had any other sort of business relationship with Culligan. I was not compensated in any way for the posting of this review.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Culligan?

Purchased a FM-15 faucet-mount water filter, after having HORRIBLE experience with crappy PUR filters. The Culligan filter assembly is simple to mount, last a long time, and are equally as easy to replace the filters. These filters are durable, and do not fall apart like PUR filters. I would highly recommend this product... and the water tastes great.

I purchased a whole house water filtration system. We paid close $5000. It keeps breaking down. We keep having to pay $200 or more for repairs. Even the under the sink filtration I noticed that the filters are not factory flushed. And when we attempted to change the cartilages ourself we noticed gallons of water would come up black. Even after ditching 3-4 full tank. For filters that costs close to $250 I think Culligan should do some research. I don't trust what I have been drinking so far. Most likely carbon. I am going to ditch all of their system, I don't trust the quality. Wish I had read all the reviews before.

They have numerous times came to my home and ripped me off, last time was a day ago and tried to get me to pay more than the office girl gave out. Such was 175 for filtered and then I got a bill for 599 and then to top it off my water is now black and they don't answer phones. Don't know if water is good to drink, man said he put in 4 bags of salt. Never happened. Pleased look at the damage.

I recently purchase the system for $3295.00 & thought that was all I had to pay until I got a call from Culligan wanting to put me on extra $23 a month payment plan that I was never told about. In fact the salesman said that I would get a year of the salt for free. After going back & forth with the customer service person a few times, I never got an answer as to why I was never told about the extra fees. I so now want to cancel & go with another company & I don't know if I can. I wish I had read the reviews before spending that much on the system that is too expensive.

We spent over $4000 less than three years ago on a system they no longer even sell because it was defective. Since day one and has never worked right they have been out at least four times and basically tell us, "Sorry there's nothing we can do but we can put a whole new system in but you have to pay for it" when this one never worked. I would never ever ever give them my business again. Bait and switch and sold as a defective product. Run Forrest run, don't be a sucker like us! After I'm done here I'm going to the Better Business Bureau and talking to an attorney this afternoon.

Outrageously expensive for services not provided: $690 - the cost to purchase your own, high-quality softener and RO filtration plus 1 year of filters and salt. $5,770 - the cost of a 3-year contract with Culligan to rent their basic softener and RO filtration with "service". This cost does not include filters, salt, or salt delivery. BEWARE of these criminals! I signed a three-year contract with Culligan for a water softener and reverse osmosis drinking water filter because I didn't know any better and didn't do research. And truthfully, I had always thought of Culligan as a trusted name.

First off, who requires a three-year contract? That is way too long and too many variables for both parties to follow through on. Culligan didn't fulfill their end of the contract and I canceled 18 months into it after many negative experiences dealing with failed equipment, shotty service, poor water quality, and endless frustrations. I ended up purchasing my own equipment for 1/6 the cost of what the entire contract would have cost me. I'm still negotiating the early cancellation with them. They refuse to release me from the contract even though I have multiple proofs that they didn't fulfill their end of the contract. I will be filing a claim with the BBB.

I should have know right away when the salesman said he would come back and test our water a week or so after installation to show us the difference and never showed. He also said he would come back and clean our fixtures as the change would make our water dirty with sediment. This also didn't happen. In fact, I never saw the salesman again.

On more than one occasion I had to call Culligan because my softener stopped running and displayed an error message to call Culligan. Both times when I called (one time I even got a former employee who no longer worked there) they directed me to cancel out the error message, which prompted the softer to run. Neither time did I get a visit to my house, and both times left my water tasting and feeling rusty and hard.

I've had to call multiple times for salt delivery that was supposed to happen automatically but didn't (which I was also charged separately for, in addition to my monthly bill). The workers always came into my house without removing their shoes when nobody was home leaving tracks on my floors and carpet. On one occasion they left my softener unplugged! I wouldn't have noticed it, but my boyfriend fortunately did and plugged it back in a few days after their visit. In 18 months my reverse osmosis filters were not changed, not even one time. My water and ice tasted like prescription medication.

Do your research before you call these crooks. I purchased a brand new water softener with a higher grain count, and a brand new reverse osmosis filtration system with more cycles, including alkalization. My water tastes so much better since purchasing my own equipment, plus I own it instead of renting. With the purchase of the improved softener, higher quality RO filtration, and filters for a year I have paid LESS than I did renting from Culligan for 6 MONTHS!!!

Beware of their salesmen and what they say. He convinced me with promises that never came to fruition. The amount of money they charge for this service and equipment rental is criminal. I wish I had done more research before I signed a contract with them. Don't make the same mistake I did. They all drive fancy cars for a reason. You will be over charged and underserved.

We had this house built in May of 2016. You all came in and put in the system on June 2016. I called because it was not working. The repair guy came buy to fix 5 days later. By then I decided I didn't want it anymore. When he got here I told him that. He went to the basement did something to it and left. It still did not work. He told me he would have talk with a manager. He finally came back and took the tank and left. He did not restore the water heater nor the refrigerator flooring that he put a hole in back to the way it was.

Moving forward to now we go out of town for a week, we get back and the water heater is no longer working. The builder came out and said he could touch it because it was not equipment that came with the home. The water has been leaking this whole time with no emergency fix. This is unacceptable. I need everything taken off that was installed. The piping and the plastic tube running through a hole you all made in my floor under the refrigerator. I need everything restored back to the way it was before the faulty install. That way the builder can fix everything because the house is still under warranty. He said once you all take out the bad equipment the leak will be fixed and he can assess any damage to the water heater caused by the faulty install and removal. I would also like to be compensated for the water bill and the water damage to my home and water heater. We are still without hot water right now. The water is still leaking right now.

Culligan of Kansas City is rife with incompetence. In April 2014 my old water softener died after 15 years of faithful service. About 35 years ago I rented a Culligan water softener in Illinois and was very satisfied with them so I decided to "upgrade" to a Culligan water softener. I didn't pay attention to how the guy installed it because I figured that Culligan would do a good job. Not so much! The guy was plumbing the softener into a 3/4 inch line but he reduced it down to a 1/2 inch line with some shark bite fittings and pex connections. There was a 1/2 inch elbow on each of the lines, then more fittings to take it back up to 1 inch to attach to the water softener head. So, what this does is to reduce the flow of water in my entire house (except for the one outside faucet that is not softened water). I don't know if he just didn't have 3/4 inch elbows on his truck or what.

Fast forward one month. Culligan billed me for $2304.45 and said I was a month overdue! I had financed the installation through Culligan with Foundation Finance and was paying Foundation $407.12 a month so that I could get it paid off within 6 months for their "no interest" offer but their billing office was still billing me for the whole amount.

Now fast forward to February 2016. This thing runs its regeneration cycle at 2 am and it takes just under 2 hours to run. At 5:00 am the thing was still running water down my drain. It was stuck on one of the back washes and giving an error code 1. It was only 1 year and 9 months old! My old no-name water softener lasted 15 years! The Culligan guy came out and really didn't know what was wrong with the thing. He ended up replacing the circuit board. (I argued vehemently with this guy when he wanted to charge me for this and ultimately I was not charged.)

Fast forward 10 months to Christmas morning 2016. I woke up at 4:00 am to the sound of running water! The water softener was again stuck in one of its back flushes and was running water down the drain. It had an error code 1. I unplugged it and put it on bypass to stop the water from running down the drain. A few hours later I plugged it back in but it did not reset and got an error code of 4 so I unplugged until that evening. When I plugged it back in it reset and did another regeneration. Meanwhile I had to use water so I have a water heater tank full of hard water. Culligan wants another $175 to just come out here. Their warranty on the board is 5 years and on the control valve is 10 years but it costs $175 for them to come out each time.

It is now February 2017 and this thing has done the same thing of getting stuck on a back flush and giving an error code 1. It has done this twice since December! Apparently Culligan equipment is not what it used to be and Culligan service is nothing like it used to be. It looks like I am going to have to replace this thing -- probably with a Fleck. All Culligan parts a proprietary so there is no way to buy parts for this thing and I could buy Fleck parts at lots of places. I have to re-plumb this thing so I might as well plumb in a water softener that works.

I love my new water softener and reverse osmosis filtration system. The water tastes great, I don't have to deal with the hard water problem anymore. Rob was my salesman. He was absolutely wonderful. He answered all of my questions accurately and was an absolute joy to work with. He was running 10 minutes behind schedule and he gave me a courtesy call to let me know. Love the product and customer service was GREAT!!!

I have a top-of-the-line according to Culligan system with premium care and I've experienced many issues including frogs and no salt. Not happy with Culligan. Also attempts to call all lines are busy hours on end. Again not happy with Culligan!!!

Contacted Culligan Water of Rochester, MN to have a water softener installed and a reverse osmosis system installed. The installer was rude, swearing, and tracked in mud throughout my home (kitchen floor and on basement carpet - staining it). I told him that if we could reschedule because he was having a very difficult time installing the reverse osmosis system. He decided to finish and after he left our sink pipes burst and leaked water into our basement causing water damage to our basement ceiling and carpet.

I contacted Culligan and explained the situation. They sent their GM to assess the situation. He said he would contact me back after he contacted his insurance company. He said to fix the damage and that culligan would pay for it. I have not heard from him or culligan since other than bills to pay for a service that caused damage to my home. Furthermore, the reverse osmosis system only works some of the time and now my refrigerator does not make ice or run water which I called and complained about and they sent someone out to fix it but it still does not work. This has been a horrific situation with no results or true attempts to make this right for their consumer.

I have had Culligan visit 3 times for a water softener that leaks. Each time I booked the 1st/earliest appt of the day & each time they were 1/2 to 1 full hour late! I had to call them each time to ensure they were coming (no one called me to say they'd be late). Poor Service!

Very happy with both systems. The sales person explained all the details regarding installation and how both systems actually worked. The installation was done in a professional way. Both systems work very well. I am very happy with the work. My drinking water is 100% improved. I do not need to buy bottled water now. Thank You Merrillville, In. Culligan.

We were told our showers would no longer be slimy and hard water would not build up in machines. Not true! Don't waste your $3000!!! Our laundry has white stains all over it from minerals built up in our new machine. When showering you feel as though you can never get the soap off. The reverse osmosis did help the drinking water. However, we had no improvement in the ice or water from the refrigerator. Again, don't waste your money!

I was told my system was under warranty when I called and they would send a technician out right away. My system was not fixed and I got a $160 bill. The customer service was rude and called me a liar. She said no one that works there would tell me my system is under warranty. She offered no compromise and was not willing to do anything to solve the problem. Worst customer service.

I had thought that a small filter unit would be nice. I ordered the filter and following instructions per the paperwork included got the filter and tubing installed. Our first try at new filtered water was not going to happen. Nothing appeared from the end of the faucet. A check of all the fittings and main supply did not produce the problem. After additional hours trying to figure out WHY this simple filter does not work we set forth and took the damn thing apart. WOW! Once it was apart it worked with air blowing through it minus the filter. So we are chalking this filter up to so much plastic garbage. Will never trust CULLIGAN or any of its products again. Remember a good review goes to a few - Bad reviews goes out to all that will listen.

Recently, I was adding Culligan salt to our water softener. To my surprise, there were animal feces in the water softener bag. I removed all the salt and cleaned the tank as well as I possible. I took photos and returned the bag with the feces in it to the local Culligan dealer in Albert Lea, MN. In addition, I sent a note to Culligan. I also followed up a week later to find out if there was an answer to how this is possible. Culligan responded to the local dealer but not myself stating that it was not possible. I didn't get pictures of the big turds, but you can see in the pic that it is totally gross. The local dealer did take pics and sent them to Culligan.

I was told that Culligan switched suppliers on their salt to save money. Clearly the quality controls are not in place. I asked them to replace my softener system or cut me a break on a new one and he offered me $300 off the price of a new one making it only $1900. Culligan needs to take responsibility for the salt that is in their bag and step up to the plate and do something to resolve the issue. BOTTOMLINE... DO NOT BUY CULLIGAN SALT!!

I have had the RO and softener system for about two years. For a while, the service was great. About 6 months ago, I began to taste a bad taste in the water. The softener was totally out of salt. I called Culligan (they used to call me). After numerous calls, left messages, I never heard from them. The service man showed up three weeks after I bought salt for the device. Now it is time for the RO filter service. They again are nowhere to be found and again no answer of the telephone. Wish I had it to do all over again there is no way in Hell I would get Culligan Water Treatment.

This is a very good community with good people and good businesses. Everyone can make a mistake but this business by far takes the cake. I humbly suggest people in our community to avoid this business. There are many good water treatment places out there and this one is bad. First of all, a salesman named Harry told us stuff that was NOT true. Then this man asked us to pray for his grandkids and a huge custody fight. Obviously if it were not true how would we know about it? He then said he can remove the price for salt if we did that. And he didn't do that. Then we got a new house and instead of putting in the small faucet as they were too lazy to do, it's what we always had and always used and wanted, and instead we got this little black thing that when we push it, some infrared thing makes water come out. Ok, this little black thing rarely worked. Hardly ever.

Then some batteries leaked in it and when we told Peggy, this worthless person could not even help us and send someone out. We got totally ripped off and we are seeking legal action on this fly by night company and operators. We gave them several chances and Harry using his grandkids as ploys also has gotten DSS involved. That is sick. And asking for prayers in return to get no charge on salt. Again sick. And a lie. What he said about the Catholic church was not good and Bishop is being contacted and Culligan corp offices are as well. Don't make the same mistake we did and go to this fly by night company. There is more sick stuff too but this is all I want to post on my review now. Thank you.

I think Culligan's web page stinks. I've been trying to find my exchange date for 20 minutes. Still HAVE NOT found it.

We purchased our home in November 2015, and we noticed the water softener system didn't seem to be working properly, but there were several other items we needed to attend to. Then in July 2016, the system began to make terrible noises so I called the company in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho to schedule an appointment. I told them my time frame, and they said the technician would get back to me, but I didn't hear back from anyone. I called the day before the time I stated I could be available to find out if anyone was going to show up. The person who answered said "There's a note on the desk telling us what your available time is." I asked, "Are you going to be here?" The answer was "Well I don't know, the technician isn't available right now." The tone was condescending and short.

I told the man "Fine. I am trying to figure out my day tomorrow so just cancel this." No one ever called me back. They have never called me or emailed me or tried to contact me in any way. We are very unhappy with this treatment and apparently they don't need the business or they really don't care at all if they get the business. We are now researching other companies that take care of this type of system.

I purchased water softener and reverse osmosis system from Culligan because the salesperson presented Culligan very well. One thing he mentioned more than a dozen times during his presentation was the fact that we were going to get crystal clear ice cubes. It is going to be 2 years and I am still waiting for my "crystal clear" ice cubes. They are all foggy and even the water from the kitchen drinking water faucet looks horrible. After been nasty phone calls to Culligan they check the system twice and they said that the freezer is freezing the water too fast. Even though I lowered the setting to the lowest, I am still getting the same crappy water. Culligan said they will come for a $120.00 service call fee. No way!!!

I use Culligan water service in Largo, Florida and in Bozeman, Montana. The service in Bozeman is delightful and I would recommend them heartily. The Largo franchise is just the opposite. I ordered water, paid the bill and left Florida for several months. However, Culligan delivered more water and charged my credit card for the delivery. I have written and called them to suspend the service but they still are billing my credit card at the rate of $36 per month. I was in Florida on the date in July when we were billed for service, however, no water was delivered. However, due to their previous continued and unauthorized deliveries, we are awash in water. I shall contact them tomorrow and attempt to have them come and remove the full, unused bottles and cease their unwarranted billing. There are other water service companies in the area which I will certainly use in the future. I want nothing further to do with the Culligan store in Largo, Florida.

I bought the Culligan gold system. The sales guy said I had to have and would be the greatest thing since water was invented and will make my water cleaner than God himself could clean it. Well in my opinion the 20 year old system I had worked better than this new state of the art system, I went to add salt to it the other day and it was still full. That's when I noticed it wasn't working at all, this system is so bad that I did t even notice it wasn't even functioning at all. The water has the same smell and color as it did when the system was running. I've complained about it since I bought the system 2 years ago and all they wanted to do was sell me a more expensive water filter system.

The guy that sold me the system said that the product he sold me was all I needed. I'm now $3,200.00 into a water softener that doesn't even work as good as the 20 year old generic system I had when I bought the house. Do yourself a favor - go anywhere. They sell water softeners and buy one for $300.00 before you get talked into this pos.

I start to use Culligan water 5 gallon bottle couple month ago. Today I received my delivery of 4 bottle. As soon as I put the bottle in the cooler you can see how dirty the bottle itself then we normally empty the first couple cups and when the water start pouring it was pink at the beginning then it was clear with a lot of white disgusting particles in it. I called the office and spoke to one of their employees. She wasn't nice at all and start questioning if we clean our cooler. I told her we clean our cooler between each bottle and I know better that that. I asked them to come and take their bottle and refund my account but they said they will come and pick it up next week. Anyway we tried to check the second bottle but it has the same particle in it. This place is disgusting and it is so sad that this company profit from people and not provide the services paid for. It makes you wonder where is this water coming from. STAY away from this company.

Expert Review

Greg ChickWater Treatment Systems Contributing Editor

Greg Chick has worked as an entrepreneur for over 40 years with a background in plumbing, irrigation, pools and water heating. He is a member of Green Plumbers USA, International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials and American Society of Plumbing Engineers. Greg works to educate residential consumers about quality plumbing products.    More about Greg→

Culligan is dedicated to treating water for a range of buildings and customers. The company was founded in 1936, and they serve clients who need water treatment worldwide.

• Wide range of clients: Culligan does not just serve residential customers; they also treat water for large office complexes, restaurants, industrial buildings and more.
  • Overnight shipping: Customers who want to test their water to see if they need Culligan's services can send the water back overnight at the expense of the company.
  • Specialty testing: The company is equipped for specialty water testing, which may be needed should a customer have access to a well or non-municipal water source.
  • Online appointment scheduling: The Culligan website offers convenient and easy online appointment scheduling.
  • Social responsibility: The business is dedicated to giving back to the community, and they participate regularly in global relief programs after disasters. For example, the company delivered bottled water to the East Coast after Hurricane Sandy, brought clean water to Moore, Oklahoma after the devastating 2013 tornadoes and provided bottled water and hands on relief efforts after Typhoon Haiyan in the Phillippines.
  • Best for Homeowners with hard water, homeowners near a compromised water supply, developers or managers managing large commercial properties and rural customers using well water.

Compare Water Treatment Systems