1.47/5
Based on 144 reviews that contain star ratings

Need a water treatment system?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

153 Culligan Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

DO NOT BUY FROM THESE PEOPLE!! I was looking at it after they left and realized they had installed the salt holder behind the tower. There was no way we could not even get to it to put salt in it. When I called them about it well it was our problem. Mind you we had just bought it at a ridiculous price anyway but if we wanted to buy a newer model they would change it around for me for free as he chuckled. MY HERO! I have had numerous headaches with these people. That was just the beginning. I would have to write a book to have enough words to tell you how bad they are. Please read reviews before you buy. By the way you have to give a rating. I lied. It's a 0.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I have had Culligan now for a few months. My Mother has developed some major health issues beyond her control and has had several operations. We have been trying to get them to pick up their equipment to cancel service. But they tell us she can not break her contract. When my mother started service she done so over the phone and there never was a contract per the lady that started the service. This is why my mother took the service because she wanted NO contract. These people are liars. The water is no better than the water you go buy at Walmart. All we want is to have them come get their equipment but they refuse to because they say my mother CANNOT break her contract. Like I said there is NO contract. JUST PLEASE COME GET YOUR EQUIPMENT. My mother cannot afford this due to health issues. People just stay away from this company.

Get expert buying tips about Water Treatment Systems delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

The employees of the Lexington, KY division came into my house to install a water softener. Little did I know that they had other intentions. They stole a RIFLE and several other items from my home! I called the Store manager who basically called me a liar! I filed a police report and the employee was arrested! DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY! They will steal from you and then deny it!!! Calling the Corporate headquarters FOUR times and still no response! Apparently they don't care if you are victimized either! I will NEVER use Culligan and do not recommend them! Use them if you don't want your valuables!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

I have purchased Culligan water filters in the past and no issues whatsoever. However recently the filter under the sink busted (at the bottom of the filter) and flooded my cabinet, my kitchen, half bath and laundry room. In the past if the filter was "full" it would just stop putting water thru the spigot. This time was different. Luckily for us it happened in the morning early and we were able to get the water up quickly. We had just came back from a week long vacation, had it happened at that time it would have been catastrophic. Very, very disappointed and will not purchasing Culligan products in the future.

Original review: July 31, 2018

Been with Culligan for years. When hurricane Irma came right over my house it destroyed the eq. They not only wanted me to pay $800.00 for the unit but also rent on the unit for months till they picked it up without notice of that bill of over $1,400.00... put me in credit bureau... Not only $800.00 for unit but $600.00 for eq. that couldn't be used... and they took their time to pick up. I paid over $ 10.000 on rental eq. over the years and because of an ACT OF GOD... they were the rudest people to ever deal with. Never use this company. Wendy ** "Really even charged me for Eq. that couldn't be use due to Hurricane... UNREAL.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Culligan?

Original review: July 19, 2018

I live in Cazenovia, NY. I moved into a house that already had a Culligan water softening system installed. I called Culligan from Endicott, NY to service it. The guy came and said it was all good to go. He also sold me $63 of salt and charged a total of $279. After he left, the water pressure was lower. I was confused initially but then when I did the bypass to get water directly, the water pressure became fine. I called Culligan back to help fix the problem. They are neither fixing the problem nor refunding any of the money I paid them. And I am stuck having paid $279 for zero benefit. I am just writing this review so that other people do not waste their money like me.

Original review: July 4, 2018

We moved to Ohio 4 years ago and had never dealt with water softeners before. There was already a Culligan system in the home (rented) and so we continued with them for convenience sake. We pay $115 per month for a rental softener system and a bimonthly salt delivery. In early March of 2017, our Culligan man came to deliver the 10 bags salt. He carried them through to our tank and stacked them one on top of the other. I did not follow him back to the tank and did not see this precariously tilting tower of bags.

The next day we discovered that this pile of salt bags had fallen over and into one of the water pipes connected to the tank and had caused the storage room to flood, damaging many of our belongings. The water had also seeped into the carpeting of our rec room. I called Culligan and they sent a repairman to fix the pipe. They came to take pictures and assured us they would be in touch. That was the last communication we received regarding the flooding. I have since called and described this incident to several customer service representatives, each assuring me someone will be contacting me regarding this issue, but over a year has passed and we have yet to have this issue acknowledged by Culligan.

Resolution response: June 22, 2018

I would like to bring to the attention of the readers that we did receive feedback from the local Culligan office and the issue was resolved to our satisfaction. We thank the manager who took the initiative to resolve the issue.

Original review: June 21, 2018

In less than 2 year the unit (Culligan Water Softener HE) stopped softening the water. We did not realized that since we have no sensors to let us know that the water was not soft. After a while, the two of us felt that the water was not soft. Today, the service man (who did a great job by first trying to fix the old flow meter), replaced the flow meter and charged us over $350 ($133 service call/labor + $195 for the flow meter + $5 Service fee). I would NOT recommend Culligan to anyone!

Original review: June 21, 2018

After ready numerous reviews about getting a Culligan water system installed, I'm stand-offish about having them. I will be doing more research about hard water and may install myself. I've had systems in the past but not Culligan and have not had one problem. Don't want monthly payments would purchase out-right and purchase salt or potassium (which is what I had) myself. Any recommendations?

Original review: June 18, 2018

I had the whole house filter w/softener and drinking water system installed. Within two days, I had to cut off the "softener" because the water was too salty. What is even sadder is that the "drinking" water did not remove the salt and to me, it was undrinkable. I called the representative to let him know that I wanted it removed. At the time, I was just going to have the whole house filter removed but due to the representative, I felt it was best to remove the entire system. He seem to consider it a joke wanting it removed and told me that he would call me back the following morning, Tuesday.

Well by 4 pm, I did not hear from him so I called him and he laughed saying "Oh, you really wanted it removed? Hahaha". Then tells me that the soonest he could do that was going to be Friday between 1-3 pm. Needless to say I received a text message Friday afternoon saying that he was not going to make it and wouldn't be able to make it here until Tuesday or Wednesday. I immediately called the office and stressed that I needed this removed. They have a 30 day 100% Customer Satisfaction Guarantee and I wanted to make sure this was removed promptly. Today is Monday, he did make it here to remove it but it's sad that I had to call the office to make sure it happened.

Original review: June 7, 2018

On the 4th of April 2018 a Culligan Aqua-Cleer unit was install in our home. We have been loyal customers of Culligan for 38 years (water softeners and reverse osmosis). We reported the unit not being functioning and on the 10th of May 2018, a technician came to observe that the control box was the issue. It was said that on 15th of May the office would call to set up a time and date for the installation of the new box... Until the 4th of June, it was pure silence on Culligan part. Meanwhile we made the decision that enough was enough and that their negligence of not establishing communication was unacceptable. I called and got Culligan out of their torpor and demanded removal of the unit.

I got connected to Rob ** who listened to my grievance and in a very gentle and compassionate manner said he would ask his GM to contact me. The GM (Russ) started to use a salesman pitch telling me how the internal affairs at Culligan, recently, had taken a toll on Culligan's good will. Needless to say that I shared with him that we all have internal stress not depriving us to function and address the needs presented to us. He got annoyed with my request and my determination to have it put to execution. He then got very short and that was the end of the conversation and he agreed to have the unit removed omitting to tell me when! At 3:30 pm that day, a technician took care of the problem and that was it (all of a sudden Culligan had recover its efficiency!) The GM never had the courtesy to tell me how the refund would be handled etc...

So, contacted Culligan and asked to talk to Rob ** and with his equal gentleness and graciousness, he informed himself of the procedure for refunds. He excused himself for being not aware of financial procedures in a case like ours, being a salesperson. In my case, Mr ** and the technicians involved put some balm on a bitter experience with Culligan and the less than pleasant rapport with Culligan GM.

Original review: May 17, 2018

There are many choices in water filtration - you can find reputable LOCAL installers in any area. Consider that the a system is "installed" and becomes part of the home plumbing. Now, consider that you may wish to move - expected or unexpected - and you still owe on your water filtration system. Imagine further that the company you chose DOES NOT allow for transferring the balance. OUCH! Welcome to the world of the Culligan customer.

One of the more expensive filtration options across the spectrum and you're stuck with the remaining balance to either leave it in the home or remove the equipment to bring with you when you move. Well that is special - paying for equipment you won't even benefit from. If it is too late, be sure to tell your Realtor so that you may account for the remaining balance in your NET sheet. If it is not too late and you are reviewing options, be sure to read their fine print and select a local installer for the best results to fit your needs.

Original review: May 11, 2018

I bought a Culligan whole house water filter. There were no threads in the unit to mount the bracket. I returned it, and bought an under sink water filter. After installing the unit, I turned on the water supply, and the pressure relief valve leaked profusely. This is two defective units in a row I've gotten from Culligan through Amazon.com.

Original review: April 10, 2018

System was installed with wrong settings. My brand new faucets, tile and shower doors are stained. They came to reset the equipment but stains don't come off. They pulled the equipment and made no effort to correct problem, other than to say I have defective faucets. This was Romero who came to my house to try to remove stains. So I told him how can he explain the stained shower doors and tile? Are they defective too. No calls or efforts to right the problem. These people are a total rip off. How can they keep a company afloat with so many angry customers? I welcome suggestions and phone numbers. This is a nightmare.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I had the salesman come to my house and we talked about what I was spending in bottle water and how by purchasing the system I would be cheaper in the long run to get an RO system and I would not have to mess with bottles anymore. The only truth was about the bottles. He told me the filters should last about a year and they would be about 150 annually. He did not add that every other year it would be over $400. I think you should get an RO system but do not buy from Culligan. Find a system that you can buy the replacement cartridges online from multiple vendors. Otherwise Culligan will rip you off for the price of them. Similar cartridges I have found online are almost half the cost and filtration is very similar.

They also did not know what they were doing. Within a couple months the system was having issues. After making them come look at it I found out that we had low water pressure and they wanted over $400 to sell me a device that fixed the problem. I paid a plumber less than $100 to do the same thing and it fixed the whole house not just RO system. After that they told me the low water pressure caused the filters to go bad. And made me pay for new ones. I asked them what the pressure was when they installed it and asked if they could provide documentation of testing it. They said they would have tested it and documented but could not find it. I reminded them that legally if they did not document it then it did not happen. I will never buy from them again.

Original review: March 19, 2018

I wanted to start by saying that I have never had a soft water system in my life. I have no knowledge of what artificially softened water is or how it worked, but I learned the hard way very quickly. I relied heavily on Culligan's "expertise" or lack thereof, and we paid a heavy price for it. The first thing that they did, was hook up our entire house to the softener system. I found out recently that our kitchen faucet should not have been attached to this system; had they not done this, there would have been no problems. They assured us that the water was ok for us to drink, and that it would be ok for our fish. One of our 4 winter koi tanks is in our dining room, we have to do their water changes from our kitchen sink. The first time we did a water change, our fish started flashing and becoming visibly irritated the next day. Not realizing that the water was the problem, we did several more water changes, only accelerating their conditions.

After losing several fish, we put them in a hospital tank near our other fish, but it was too late. One by one, they kept perishing. My 3 year old who loves our fish dearly would keep running up to tell us as they died, that another fishy stopped talking to her. In total we lost 12 Koi. Our large Shubunkin goldfish has been on death's door for over two weeks, but somehow is still clinging to life. It took us months to locate these fish, and some of them were imported from Japan, and cost hundreds of dollars to purchase and have shipped to us. When I spoke to Dane and Jeff with Culligan, they seemed unimpressed, and did not care that this had happened to us, and refused to compensate our losses due to their lack of knowledge of their own system. Removal of their system was promptly requested after this.

Original review: March 12, 2018

In the past three years I have called Culligan because my water softener has not been working properly. Each repair service has cost me 135 dollars plus tax. Each service has lasted about 15 minutes because of a 1.25 dollar screen which rots away. This seems to be excessive and Culligan refuses to work with you on the price. Being ripped off and nobody cares.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

My softener needs a service call. Been ten years. Here in Hibbing the Culligan man wants 114.00 just to walk in my house. Really. I will never be able to afford that. We are on disability. Thank you. But no thanks.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

Paid 3300. Cash for our water softener system, total nightmare with everything that was installed. for 2 weeks the water tasted horrible, tech kept saying that our water was good, after several weeks the last tech stated that the tank that the filter held had never been sanitized. Then the man that put in the drain field for the salt wore flipflops to dig the drain field, after a couple of months the salt leaked and to this day I cannot grow grass on the side of my house due to the salt that leaked. TOTAL NIGHTMARE. Many more problems than this. Just not enough room to write it all down. I asked the company to just come and take out the system and they refused. It cost me another 250 for a plumber to come and take it out. I would NEVER refer anyone to this company.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

I signed a contract in March of 2017 and my first bill was much higher than quoted. My bills change every time and I see loads of charges that was not made clear to me at my initial sales meeting. Now on top of the billing my water looks horrible. I do not trust the water enough to drink. I have the full in home system from the intake of my well to the under cabinet filtration system at kitchen sink. Does anyone know how I can get out of this crazy contract without being liable for further payments?

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

My family has been receiving Culligan spring water for 3 years. We had a dispenser with 6 bottles of water delivered monthly. About 3 or 4 months ago the water quality deteriorated. It smelled strongly and tasted like chlorine. When I called the local delivery office the woman asked if I wanted to try sodium free and didn't seem too concerned about my experience. I complied but cut my order in half to just 3 bottles per month and she said I would get an extra free bottle. They ended up delivering my original 6 bottle order once again with no difference in water quality. I called back and cancelled my service with them. Something is definitely going on with their water quality and should be inspected to ensure customers are chatting what they are paying for. This product is definitely not spring water!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

We purchased a new water softener from Culligan in Feb 2016. Even though Culligan is more expensive we chose them expecting on the spot service. Within the first year there was a problem that required service. They responded in a timely manner and fixed the problem for free. Now in the second year we again have another problem. I think it's the same error code. Other than the lack of reliability, my main complaint is that the local dealer cannot schedule a repair for over a week. Obviously that is not good customer service.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

I tried one of these systems. We constantly had problems with it. It never worked properly and we asked that the unit be removed prior to putting our property up for sale, in part to help it show better. Though Kaats did make a service call it never corrected the improper initial installation nor the problem. To add insult to injury, I'm being held to an early payoff penalty for sending back an absolutely useless system.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

Called for service, I have had the system for 8 years, two man came out, for a simple o-ring changing because of a leak. They drained all the i-non resin out of the system because of poor workmanship. They did not replace the tubing in the tank at the right depth, causing the resin to drain out onto ground, call, came back wanted $600.00 to replace resin. After some back and forth, they came out again and fix the system, but after a time water was bad the cycle timer was not working, and they sent me a bill for $325.00 for parts and service, and I had bought the new resin myself. I have sent the company emails and called and talked to their parent company service people, and today no call by dealer. THIS IS A SECOND RATE COMPANY AT BEST, DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY ON THEM. I AM GOING TO REPLACE MY SYSTEM WITH ONE THAT WORKS... This dealer is in Brownwood Texas.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2017

My family moved into a new home with a well system. I contacted Culligan to price a water treatment system thinking they are a very well known and reputable company. We were immediately contacted by a salesman in the Tampa office. The salesman Lee initially came the wrong day and then the wrong time the next day but that was no issue for us. The presentation was good and the salesman presented himself well. He explained he had worked for Culligan for over 20 hours, this was his only job and he presented himself very knowledgeable. My husband and I decided we would get the system although it did appear to be quite expensive.

A quote for a water softener, reverse osmosis system, and a sulfur clear system came to approximately $8500. My husband signed a contract but it did state that we could cancel within three business days. By the next day we decided that we were going to cancel before the system was even installed. My husband called the office and they canceled the installation and said it was no problem. However my husband then got a call from the salesman Lee threatening that we had signed a contract and it was legally binding. He continued to say that there was no way to get out of the contract and the three day did not apply in our situation. He threatened that our credit would be negatively affected and if we didn't install the system we would still owe $8500.

The salesman then called myself and continue to threaten me. He even called the installation crew and told them to go ahead and install the system even though we had canceled. Luckily I got home and was able to get the installation canceled but they had already started to take apart my system. The salesman got angry over the phone, continued to threaten and try to bully us into continuing with the insulation and then eventually hung up on me.

The next day I contacted Culligan and did receive a call back from the director of operations who had assured me that we did not owe any money and we had canceled within the allowed amount of time. What would've happened if I didn't get home in time and the system was installed in my house after I had said to cancel? What if I would have believed that I couldn't get out of the contract? I don't know but I want to make sure other people don't get bullied into buying a system they are still within the legal amount of time to cancel. I'm not sure if this is how they do business or get sales but to try to bully and manipulate customers into a product is unethical and unprofessional!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

This is the second time Mr. ** was at my residence. Without going into the problems, I found Mr. ** to be KNOWLEDGEABLE, PERSONABLE and a Credit to the Culligan Co. I'm a homeowner, who owns your equipment, and over the years I found other technicians not up to par with Mr. **!!!

Original review: July 19, 2017

Very bad service. Have had Culligan Water Service for approximately 4 years and seldom receive water tank on scheduled date. Have to call nearly every month to remind them that I have paid but not getting what I have paid for. If there was anywhere else to get soft water service I would never do business with Culligan.

Original review: July 18, 2017

Completed a total home redo. Due to failed furnace/frozen pipes flooding... the final project, putting in water filtration system. Decided on Culligan of BattleCreek/Kalamazoo MI... install on June 30, 2017. Home flooded within the week (due to faulty Culligan valve per Dave/Jeff from Culligan). Had to fight with gm to have ServiceMaster come to property to find "where the water" went. Asked for $324. compensation? 1/4 of contract... which as of today denied. Went to International Culligan consumer affairs who shouted out to David **, owner of both Culligans and 48 hours later no response. Do not, I repeat, do not buy from this company. Gordons/Kinetico system better.

Original review: July 12, 2017

I have been a Culligan customer for a little over 5 months. Since the beginning of my contract, there were problems. I was told that my tanks would be able to be changed on the weekend. When no one showed up to change them. I found out the information I was given was not true. After that date, none of my exchanges were done at the scheduled time if the representative even showed up. I was never given a courtesy call to inform me that they were unable to come.

After, working for a month to get a standing appointment there have still been problems. I received a voicemail at 5 am from the fill in representative telling me that his regular route was too far from my home to make it. I finally decided to disconnect my service and ended up in a debate with the customer service representative who stated someone came to my house but couldn't get in. If it wasn't for the voicemail I had from the tech saying he wasn't coming they may have been able to use that as an excuse.

Original review: June 20, 2017

I have had a Culligan softener and a reverse osmosis drinking water system installed at my last two homes. As of 2017 I've had a total of 27 years of experience with the company and their products. I've never had a significant problem with the company or its products. At my older home the salesman explained that their monthly service is not something I need. It meets the needs of seniors and others who find it inconvenient to purchase and transport the heavy salt bags necessary to softener operation. I've had each system maintained every year or two, costing $100-200. In 27 years, the software has failed once. It cost something over $100 to return it to service.

If I were to purchase another home I'd call Culligan again. Based on my experience I have recommended Culligan to others and I will continue to do so. To my knowledge, neither I nor any member of my family and no friend or co-worker has worked for or with Culligan or had any other sort of business relationship with Culligan. I was not compensated in any way for the posting of this review.

Culligan expert review by Greg Chick

Culligan got its start in 1936 and is now the leader in home water delivery as well as in-home, commercial and industrial water filtration and treatment services. It is different than most water delivery services because it doesn’t make or bottle the water it delivers; instead, Culligan specializes in water treatment systems and softeners. Water delivery services from Culligan start at $9.99 per month.

• Flexible schedules: You can set up a customized delivery schedule and arrange for supplemental deliveries if you need more water during specific months. You can also pause deliveries if you are on vacation.

• Types of water: You can choose from several types of bottled water including water treated by reverse osmosis and filtered, distilled, spring and mineral water.

• Coolers: Culligan requires you to buy or rent a Culligan cooler to use with your water jugs rather than using your own, but the cost of rental is included in the subscription plan. They will bring your cooler and install it when your plan begins.

• Culligan Man: Culligan assigns an account representative called a Culligan Man to every customer. He or she will help you select the plan that fits your needs and help arrange a convenient delivery schedule.

• 30-day guarantee: If you’re unsatisfied with your Culligan product or service within 30 days of your purchase, they’ll pick up the product and refund your money.

• Specialty testing: The company is equipped for specialty water testing, which may be needed should a customer have access to a well or non-municipal water source.

• Best for: Homeowners with hard water, homeowners near a compromised water supply, developers or managers managing large commercial properties and rural customers using well water.

Profile picture of Greg Chick
    Greg Chick Water Treatment Systems Contributing Editor

Greg Chick has worked as an entrepreneur for over 40 years with a background in plumbing, irrigation, pools and water heating. He is a member of Green Plumbers USA, International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials and American Society of Plumbing Engineers. Greg works to educate residential consumers about quality plumbing products.

Culligan Company Information