1.54/5
Based on 31 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

463 Cub Cadet Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 8, 2018

Purchased a Cub Cadet model XT1 with the 18 HP Kohler Courage Engine. This was in 2016. This engine has a rubber hose for an oil drain apparatus. The rubber hose will crack, draining all the oil from the engine. This happened to me while I was cutting the lawn. I managed to turn the mower off before it seized completely, but the engine is ruined and will have to be repaired or replaced. From what I understand there is a recall on this drain hose, but the local dealer after several requests has yet to tell me if my model is on the list. Though I'm quite sure it is. And if it isn't, it should be.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I had had a Scotts self-propelled mower I purchased new from Home Depot back in 1998. It was a solid reliable mower that I had had rebuilt a few times over the past 20 years, but over the last few, the pull starter had become unreliable (and, being honest, as I am getting older, it became much more difficult to pull). So, I started researching new mowers, knowing this “new” one should be the last I would have to purchase. There were 4 requirements the new mower had to have: Electric start, Self-propelled, Rear wheel drive, Rear tires larger than the front with good traction. Budget was also a major factor, as I am a widow on a fixed income and really had to keep it under $500, so after nearly a month of looking, it came down to a Cub Cadet Model SC500EQ. I purchased one from a local Cub Cadet dealer on 5/10/18 and 5/15 was the first chance I had to use it. And I must say, I am EXTREMELY disappointed with it!

On the plus side (and so far, this is the ONLY plus!), I love the electric starter! The negatives, however, are enough to prompt me to write this review. In all fairness, I also sent a copy of this to Cub Cadet in hopes that they would take my complaints/concerns into consideration when designing their next round of mowers in this class/category. And in writing this, I am taking into consideration that there is always a period of adjustment/transition from an old familiar mower to a new one.

There is no height adjustment capability for the handle. I am 5’ 2” tall. The handle (as it sits right now, which is a fixed position) is at a very awkward height for me to “push” to operate the forward motion, as well as hold when mowing. By the time I finished mowing my front yard (approximately 70’ x 40’, including around three large circular flower beds), my arms and shoulders were aching. As I wrote this the morning after, I could barely lift my arms, and I am in fairly good physical condition! There should be some way to adjust that handle so that it can be set either higher or lower for a better “center of gravity” angle, depending on the person’s height.

The height adjustment levers on the tires are next to impossible to use. It took me both hands and a LOT of struggling to get them moved from the 1” setting to the 3” setting – I nearly gave up and went to get a neighbor... The front “guard” piece is not only useless, but downright dangerous. Since my yard is not perfectly level, that piece sitting nearly an inch lower than the mower deck means that it kept getting stuck/run into the ground (thereby throwing me forward into the mowing handle – yes, I now have bruises on my chest thanks to that). That was what prompted me to look at adjusting the height of the mower. That needs to come off!

The traction on the rear wheels is a joke. When the front end gets caught on the smallest of bumps, instead of providing enough “push” to move the mower, they just spin, creating ruts in the lawn. Whatever the handle wrap is made of is terrible. Between the vibration and the constant pushing motion, I ended up with several blisters on my hands. And finally - Their “push forward” system to engage the propel system (and trying to push it further forward to go at a higher speed)… You have to push it forward and down the handle. That’s the worst thing I’ve ever seen. You really DO have to push – HARD – if you want to attain a speed faster than turtle crawl. If you wanted to have it going faster, you would be literally trying to run while trying to keep it pushed forward.

Granted, I had become accustomed to a “pull/hold” bar system to engage the drive and go forward (with a separate lever for speed adjustment), but I could literally mow my lawn with one hand. With the “old” mower, I could get that lawn cut in less than 45 minutes. When I used this Cub Cadet, it took me nearly double that because I could not continually push forward (at an awkward height and downward angle no less), while getting shoved into the handle because the front guard kept getting caught on the small bumps in the yard, and/or try to keep the propel handle forward while pushing down on the fixed handle to lift up the front wheels to make turns…

Suffice to say, I am extremely unhappy with this purchase. I called the dealer I purchased it from and they graciously agreed to take this back in exchange for a different mower, probably a Toro (which is only lacking the larger rear tires). If I had known then what I know now… My biggest regret is my haste in selling the old mower once I purchased this one, but before I used it – I’m sure that for the price I paid for this mower, I could have found someone to figure a way to hook up an electric start to that old monster, but now I have to somehow come up with the extra money to purchase a different mower that I can use!

Get expert buying tips about Riding Mower delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 12, 2018

Cub Cadet CC 30 riding mower - Purchased this new in May 2014. Have worked for and owned Cadets since 1961. The last one I owned was a 104 cadet with a 38" mower. Had it for many years and never had ANY problems with. We downsized and moved to a smaller home and did not need this large tractor. Decided to purchase a smaller rider. Bad choice. After using it two times the engine started to miss and large clouds of blue smoke came out of the exhaust pipe, I shut off the engine and thought the crankcase may be overfilled. The oil level was ok. Check around the engine and discovered the crankcase vent hose was improperly installed. Was kinked so I rerouted it. This problem was corrected. Called the dealer. Comment was, "What do you want? You fixed the problem."

The next season a new problem came up. After running for 1/2 hour the engine started to miss and eventually stopped. I let it stand for about 20 minutes and it restarted but ran rough. Dealer was contacted. Picked up the unit. Said could not duplicate the problem. Did change the oil. The cost for this service was $125.00. Next season the same problem resurfaced. Now it would run for 10 minutes and sputter and die, let it stand, would restart then would stall again, I did some minor maintenance such replace spark plug and the fuel filter. Both looked OK. Also flushed the fuel tank and filled with FRESH fuel. None of this corrected the problem. I had a video of all this. I called the dealer and told them of the problem. The comment was I would have to bring in the unit or have them pick up. The video would be of no help. After a week the tractor was picked up and I had to wait for another week for them to get around to looking at it.

They said they think it needs a new carburetor. Would have to order it, may take a week or so. I purchased this from the Cub Cadet dealer not a big box store. The running time is less than 75 hours. A new Carb?? Still waiting to hear if the problem is corrected. Very disappointed with The Cub Cadet and the lack of knowledge from the service dept. I worked for International Harvester and Serviced hundreds of Cadets for over 23 years. If I handled a customer like this I would have been looking for another job. Would not recommend a CC30 to anyone. End of a sad story.

Updated on 06/09/2018: The dealer finally picked up the tractor and had it for a week. Said it did have a issue and they THINK it is the Carburetor, my question was after only 75 or less hours it needs a new Carb? I agreed to have the carb replaced. The total cost to repair was $208.00. Well wonders of wonders now runs better than when it was first delivered. Guess the Carburetor was the cause all of the time. Guess about Warranty? Sorry out of factory Warranty. So Sorry last Cub Cadet in my garage.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I have bought this model of lawnmower at Lowe's in August 2017 and used it twice in the fall, both times it worked well. In spring of 2018 the mower would not start. Its spark is working, oil is new and on the right level, new gasoline is used, air filter is spotless. When using starter fluid, the engine starts and dies immediately after. The two authorized Cub Cadet service centers in my area told me they would charge $75 for looking at the mower and probably would charge more for parts and labor to fix the issue. This is an 8 month old mower, still under warranty. I can understand that once in a while a product's quality may be below acceptable. I do not accept that support service can be this shamelessly bad. Shame on the company.

Original review: May 5, 2018

In 2008 I purchased new, a i1046 zero turn lawn tractor. Now at 300 hrs I could not be more pleased... I have changed blades twice, and spindles once. Deck has held up Better than I expected using it in Missouri, with stumps and rocks, that really call for nothing less than a fabricated deck! Starts every time and the zero turn capabilities make this mower perfect for my usage. The 20 hp courage engine, is strong and has given no problems as of yet.

This year I needed a push mower for some tighter areas so once again I turned to Cub Cadet. Purchasing the SC300HW. Although I have only used this mower about 4 times (a little under an acre per time) The Mower starts GREAT! Is super fuel efficient, has plenty of power, Seems to be cheaply made, with lots of ABS, but looks can be deceiving I suppose, because it seems to be holding up, well on the rough terrain. Time will tell with this mower, but for now I will say, I fully recommend it! Especially for the price! At a shade under 300.00 I don't believe I could have beat this as far as features and price!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cub Cadet?

Original review: April 18, 2018

Tractor (LTX1045) was purchased new in 2011. 3 years later, and of course after the warranty expired, it threw a valve, and the engine needed to be rebuilt. It developed a squeal and slight vibration at the end of the 2017 season. Transmission was shot and needed to be replaced. And, the spindle bearings fell out. For the past 4 or 5 years, I have had to tighten the valve cover each time I use it, or it leaks oil onto the muffler. I also have to tighten the exhaust manifold each time I use it. The parking brake assembly fell apart, and needed to be replaced. I contacted Cub Cadet, and got a nice form letter that did not address any of my issues, but referred me to take it to the local dealer. What's he gonna do except charge me more money. Save your money, and think twice about buying a Cub Cadet. They are now owned by MTD. While their prices are still high, their quality is what you'd expect from a less expensive tractor.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I am very displeased with this Cub Cadet Zero Turn Mower. The mower offers very little traction which makes it difficult to control. The seat switch is far too sensitive. The drive belt is only 1 year old but I have had to slip it back on after it came off and I noticed a large piece of the belt is gone. I purchased another belt knowing that I may get 1 or 2 more mowing opportunities before it breaks. Even the smallest bump will shut the blades off. The only consistent thing about this zero turn is that it continues to tear up my lawn. I want to sell this mower but I would feel guilty of selling a bad product to someone else.

Original review: March 31, 2018

I have a Cub Cadet LTX 1040 42in cut. just like a lot of others that have or still own this piece of junk, the deck belt keeps falling off. I mow two acres of lawn. Before I even get halfway done mowing I have to replace the belt. At 38.00 bucks. I do imagine that price will be going up this year. I go through two belts every time I have to mow. Maybe Cub Cadet could send me a case of belts for free. Now that would be something. I can dream can't I. I have replaced pulleys, springs, cables. I can't wait until it is time to mow this year. Right away I have to replace the belt because I said the hell with it last time I mowed and parked the mower in the garage. I am retired. I would like to buy a new mower but they will give me 400 for this piece of junk. But I still have to come up with 1100. With a very limited income I really don't think that will happen. I will be replacing belts again this year.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

Cub Cadet snow blower 1x 21" - The exhaust heats up the (looking forward) left tire and won't allow the snow to fall off. In turn the snow sticks (it doesn't take a lot) to the tire and it jams up between the tire and coupling preventing the tire from turning. So either I drag the unit with only one tire turning, or stop every minute and bang a hammer on the tire dislodging the caked on icy snow. This happens with 1" or 6" of snow, it doesn't matter. This thing is killing this 65 year old man.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

CC600 28" Walk Behind Mower - Electric start very undependable. Battery charged and it just tries and tries to crank without even firing. Can pull rope start and it starts mostly by second pull. Don't understand. If it would not start with the rope pull, I might understand? Also, when I went to remove the blades to sharpen, one of the nuts was OBVIOUSLY not torqued correctly and almost could not remove (thought it was welded on for a while). At the highest setting for mowing height, front to back of deck shows a good 1/2"+ difference in height. Bought this mower because my wife mows and loves to walk (I have health issues) and she cannot pull the rope start without struggling (she is 65 yrs old). I thought I had researched this product enough but I am apparently mistaken. Not sure how long we'll keep this one. Haven't heard from dealer yet, relating to this.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

We have a large lawn tractor with shaft drive, power steering and cruise control. I love it. With the power steering it makes it much easier for me to steer.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

31BH55TA756 Snow Thrower - After purchasing this snow blower I rented a trailer to bring it home... It is a large snow blower. I then wanted to start it up to make sure it was operating properly. Pushed the gas priming button gas all over the place. Called Cub Cadet for service/warranty for this issue... They told me to talk to their service and repair it myself... Option two rent a trailer return the snow blower either to service or the store. For a cost of $80.00 I have no snow blower. Their customer service was extremely rude. I personally will never purchase their product or recommend their product.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

In trying to change the blades on my 42" Cub Cadet discovered that the blade nuts were WAY over tortured at the factory. Ended up destroying the mandrill shafts trying to replace them. This shows a TOTAL LACK of quality control by Cub Cadet.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I wish I could give this less than 1 star. Second time I used it on less than 1/4 acre the a belt broke. After $100. bill I learned to do it myself. I never mowed more than 15 minutes without the deck belt slipping off. Learned how to put it back on in less than 5 minutes without taking anything off or jacking it up. Third year of ownership I have replaced at least 10 (both deck and drive) belts, 4 pulleys, lost track of how many solenoids. Looking to buy a Murray with AP parts. Easy to get parts, not $49.00 for a belt. Easy to work on and less than half the price. So far I have owned a Craftsman, Cub Cadet that I wouldn't give to my worst enemy. Had an old Murray that lasted at least 10 years before rusting out. Can't remember replacing anything but battery and maybe belt because it was old but still working.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I’ve had a zero turn for a year and 1/2. Guess that’s as long as they last. In the last year have replaced tires 3 times and blades 5 times. Deck cannot be adjusted, but says it can be. They should give me my money back but won’t. It’s so bad and cheap. Tore up my lawn and I should have never bought it. $2000.00. In the garbage. Please don’t buy it. Please. Waste of money.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

I bought this LTX 1050 a few years ago and it has caught on fire 3 times. The first time appeared to be due to grass collecting between the engine cylinder head and a shield. The manufacturer put a lip on the bottom of the shield which prevents grass from exiting the bottom. We got this fire put out in time to only cause some minor damage to wiring which I could easily repair. Lesson learned so I made sure to clean this area after every mowing. The second fire was due to a spark plug wiring arcing to the same shield where it rubbed through the insulation, this time igniting grass that had accumulated during that mowing. Again, caught this in time to put it out and only had to replace the spark plug wire.

Not sure what caused the third fire, but the quickness and intensity of the fire seems to indicate a fuel line was cut through and leaked onto the engine due to poor placement and a lack of protection of the fuel line. The attached photo shows what was left of the mower after the fire. I have seen some posts on other sites of this mower catching on fire. If you have one, you will need to be hyper vigilant and I'd suggest carrying a fire extinguisher on the mower. I'll never buy another Cub Cadet product again.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

Biggest piece of junk I have ever owned. Have to work on or take to shop every time I go to use it (Cub Cadet LTX 1045). Already been through 3 belts, starter, solenoid, battery, two Valve Cover gaskets, blade engage cable, deck pulley. Going back to John Deere. NEVER buy from big box stores. That was my mistake. When I replaced starter, I noticed it was off brand, not even Kohler. Apparently, big box stores are selling cheap knock offs of the brand names. Kohler brand engine, but loaded with aftermarket parts. Two grand poorer and much wiser.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

After owning the Cub Cadet 2550 and the model 3184, that is for sale now, and really liked the idea of an upgrade to the new 2017 Cub Cadet X3 GSX. So I went to my local dealer and bought one. DT McCALLS here in TN and to be pleased with it is an understatement. This and I cut my 2 acres in 1 hour, super handling, plenty of power 24hp, and will turn circles in its own length. The electric assisted deck was super as was the super smooth cutting blades. Please be sure you read and go by the manual before you judge this tractor as I know many mower owners do not do and give a bad review. Remember like the manual states do not mow in reverse before you read the manual!!! Thank you MTD for keeping the Cub Cadet standard a 5 star product.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

Cub Cadet XT1 23-HP 50-in - We purchased the lawn tractor at Lowes and by the second use (less than 3 HOURS of use) it wouldn't start after it was shut off for a minute. Discovered the oil was leaking everywhere... The horrible part was that this was a known recall part (oil drain hose cracked) for months. Lowes and Cub Cadet (MTD just keep selling them instead of fixing the small issue and put people at potential risk from an engine blowing up from oil leakage). Once we discovered the problem... went to Lowes and got the sorry we can't do anything about it and sent us off to the manufacturer. After waiting the whole long weekend, the manufacturer schedules and picks up the mower. 24 hours later (they don't call you, you have to call them apparently) they said the engine needs to be replaced and that it will take more than 2 weeks!!!

Overall I will NEVER buy Cub Cadet or anything MTD touches again. I will NEVER buy power equipment from LOWES again after this poor customer service of a brand new piece of equipment that was sold with a known faulty part. I buy power equipment and such often being on a farm. I'm also making sure that every farmer surrounding me knows about this particular issue with cub cadet/MTD and about the really poor customer service from them and Lowes. I can honestly say I've never experienced such things in my entire life growing up with power equipment on farms etc.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

Cubcadet 50" lawn tractor XT1 endure series - Had tractor delivered from Home Depot 5-4-15, they say it has 3yr warranty, but didn't tell you it has to be serviced by authorized dealer. OK even if you didn't take in for service that bolt (that holds elec pto onto crankshaft) should never broke unless defective, because had to heat the broken part to melt the locking compound from factory. The broken piece would not move until heated. So they don't stand behind their product. Don't buy a Cub Cadet unless you plan taking in for service. Also my tractor only had 100 hrs on it and service tech told me that was high hrs on it, if you still plan on buying one keep your hrs. Under 100 hrs, the only reason I am writing this is to let people know that the warranty is very misleading.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

Cub ltx1045 - Biggest mistake I have ever made. In last 10 years since buying it, I have spent a fortune replacing belts on this thing. Already this summer, I have replaced 4 at $32.95 each. MTD has taken what was once a good quality mower, and turned into a pile of crap. I will never own another one or any other MTD made product.

Original review: July 25, 2017

Bought the XT-Mower in December, 2016. Was looking forward to using this big riding tractor on our 4 acres. This mowing season - have spent over $300 in replacing mower belts. Why? During mowing - small twigs (1/8" diam) from our trees get caught on the top of the mower deck and stick in the pulley. This breaks the belt. Followed up with Cub - they said, "don't mow over branches, that the mower was designed to cut grass only." We have 4 acres - have to rake each time I mow? Ran a small John Deere mower on this property for 4 years before I moved to this mower. Not a problem with belts breaking. I would not recommend to anyone to purchase a Cub Cadet mower. They have a design issue - most likely cost me more money in broken belts.

Original review: July 22, 2017

I purchased a Cub Cadet LGT 1054 riding lawn mower from Tractor Supply in 2013. I paid $2600 for this piece of junk. The mower constantly broke belts, drive belts and deck belts. Twice the machine stopped moving, wouldn't go forward or reverse. The deck is poorly designed and Cub Cadet knows this from all the problem reviews. The way the deck is designed, debris can be thrown up and wedge in the pulley breaking the drive belt and resulting in damage to the trans pulley fan. I had to have the idlers and bushings replaced.

After spending all that money, the mower did the exact same thing... wouldn't move forward or back. My repair guy said this is a design defect that will keep happening, he tried to find a fix for it but no luck. The starter also went on the machine. So I have a $2600 machine that won’t start and won’t move forward or in reverse. Cub Cadet should not be allowed to sell this piece of junk when they know it has design flaws. I will tell everyone I know DO NOT BUY A CUB CADET.

Original review: July 21, 2017

My husband is a disabled veteran. We bought this piece of crap three years ago. We've gone through 5 belts, 2 batteries and had to pay for a poorly designed deck to be refitted. Don't waste your time with Cub Cadet customer service. It is sitting broken down in our garage again and can't afford to fix it. I wish we had bought another Craftsman. Had that mower for 10 years with basically no problems.

Original review: July 18, 2017

The Cub Cadet is a piece of junk. Got it March 10, 2017. Already in the shop. It won't start and they tell me I need a new air cleaner, a spark plug, and a new carburetor. Which in four month should not go bad. I would not buy another one of these. They say it is because of the gas that you buy today. It will gum it up if it sets more than 3 to 4 weeks. But I buy gas every time I use it. I had a Husqvarna for 10 years. Never had any trouble with it. Just the deck rust. I do the same with this mower as I did with my Husqvarna. So shows that there is something wrong with cub cadet mowers.

Original review: July 17, 2017

Deck/Belt Issues - LTX 1040. This mower has performed well up until this summer. We have replaced the belt 3 times and two of the spindles. My husband has done an exceptional job maintaining the mower (oil changes, tuning, sharpening blades, etc.). We do not live on rough terrain. The mower is not being used outside of what it is made for. I have once again ordered another belt and we are considering getting some other replacement parts. However, this should not be happening. I should be able to get through 20 minutes of mowing without the belt coming off. With as many complaints that are coming in, I can't believe Cub Cadet is not even attempting to correct the issue or offering some kind of refund for the inconvenience of their poor design. Why are we, as customers, having to pay for their mistakes out of our own pockets?? DO NOT BUY A CUB CADET!

Original review: July 14, 2017

I bought the Cub Cadet LTX 1040 last year, and this mower is without a doubt more high maintenance than my ex-wife. For starters the belt is constantly coming off during mowing. My yard should only take one hour to cut, but often turns into three hours or an all day affair. From reading other reviews as well as being told by the company themselves this is due to a design flaw. Really? They are building and selling a product that they know has a design flaw year after year? This is unacceptable! I am a disabled Veteran living on a fixed income. I cannot afford the cost of maintaining a poorly built product by a company that just does not care. They are ripping off consumers. I am now in the market for a new mower built by anyone but them.

Original review: July 11, 2017

I have a Cub Cadet 42" Zero Turn Riding Lawn Mower that I've had since 2013. I have had one problem after another with it. I have put several batteries in it, had parts replaced, several sets of blades and it has never cranked good. Even with a new battery, most of time I have to put a charger on it for awhile before it will crank, once cranked it will DRIVE okay, except for engaging the mower blades. If and when they turn on, it will mow okay, but the problem is you drive over half your yard before they will engage. As of yesterday, they will not turn on at all. I just contacted one of the websites listed by Cub Cadet to get some answers. The first thing she asks me, "Do you have fuel in it." My response, "It's full, that much I can tell you." After telling her all my problems as listed above, she ask, "Is there anything else you want to tell us about your problem", and I tell her "No, except for what I have already told you."

She then says, "I will transfer you to our representative and he can answer your problem." She transfers me, the first thing they do is tell you "It will cost $5 deposit and then $27 and we need your credit card # and etc. If you are not satisfied with our answer, we will refund your money." Sure, they will. I have been scammed before and I'm not about to give you that personal information. Oh, and one more thing, the first contact asked me, "Will you be fixing this yourself?" I said, "I am a 77 year old lady, who lives alone, and if it is something simple, I can probably fix it." She then transfers me to the representative. I don't mind paying $27. (to begin with) but since it is Cub Cadet's troubleshooting website, they should give you free help. I live on a very budgeted income and I can't afford to pay someone to mow my grass every week. Oh, did I mention I paid $2600 for this mower. It looked very good, but looks don't get the work done.

I had another riding lawn mower by another Company and I should have stayed with that brand, but was talked into buying this Cub Cadet by sales people, won't mention name. I will never buy anything with that name on it, again. I have been reading several of the reviews, and have related to all their problems, but haven't seen one similar to the one I have. Maybe, I didn't read far enough. I also, saw maybe half a dozen reviews that were completely satisfied with their mower. I hope you continue to have good LUCK with it and I hope this helps someone to not make the same mistake I made in purchasing this mower.

Original review: July 7, 2017

I have a RZT 50. After 14 belts. My Friend and I was looking over my mower for possible problems that the shop I bought it from couldn't find. So we put a straight edge on the motor pulley to the deck. It was off 4 inches. Found the frame the motor sits on is bent down due to being so cheaply made. Too thin on metal. This is why most people are changing all these belts at 40 to fifty dollars at a time. Cub Cadet needs a fix and pay us for all these belts.

Original review: July 4, 2017

I bought a brand new Cub Cadet 1054 riding lawn mower from Bluff equipment in Bluff City Il. I paid $3,000 for this nightmare. Would anyone believe that it broke down very first time I used it? It had a 27 hp Kohler and 54 inch deck. I looked back behind me and thought it sure is cutting the grass uneven. I stopped and found that the rod that holds the deck up in the front broken. I mow 1 acre, mind you. I took the broken rod to the dealer to find out the part was on back order due to being defective. The dealer tells me to mark the nut and count the turns to back it off for proper reassembly.

The new part comes in 3 weeks later so you can imagine what the yard looks like. I used the same number of turns to put the deck rod back on. I'm now good to go right? Wrong!!! The bearings go out on one side of the deck. I take it to the dealer to get warranty work. I mow 3 weeks and the other deck bearings go out. Dealership warranty again. I start mowing again. The rider is now constantly throwing off the belt. I talk to the dealer and am told that I'm mowing too big of yard (1 acre) and running the deck too low (setting #4).

I take it back to the dealer to find out that the replacement deck holder in the front is 2 inches longer than the original one that broke, causing the deck to run unlevel. It was repaired under warranty. I should be ready to mow now? Nope. The front wheels fell off. Each one on separate occasions. I call the dealer again and am told that 1 acre of grass is too much to mow with a 54 inch deck, I mow too low below #4 setting, I go too fast around corners etc. Etc. The mower had 71 total hours on it when I sold it as is for $700. I was glad to even get that out of it. The Cub Cadet is a absolute piece of junk. It caused me misery and quite a bit of gas making trips to the dealer for repairs. Cub Cadet is a absolute DON'T BUY!

Cub Cadet expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Cub Cadet has created American-made riding lawn mowers since 1961. They create mid-range to high-end riding mowers for homeowners and landscapers seeking high-end features and mowers capable of handling large yards.

• Riding mower variety: This company offers garden and lawn tractors and zero-turn mowers. A lawn tractor is another term for a standard riding lawn mower, while a garden tractor is a heavier version with a larger engine. Garden tractors typically handle difficult mowing jobs and yards larger than 3 acres.

• 4-acre capacity: Robust riding mowers handle massive lawns and lots with ease.

• Good terrain handling: Several Cub Cadet riding mower models focus on powerful engines capable of dealing with slopes and hilly terrain.

• Maneuverability: Zero-turn mowers provide high-performance handling and cut down on lawn do-overs.

• Commercial options: Cub Cadet provides commercial-grade riding mower options alongside its residential selection.

• Best for: Property managers, landscapers and homeowners looking for high-powered riding mowers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs