3.29/5

534 Cub Cadet Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 26, 2019

These Cub Cadet 50” are good mowers overall. This is the LTX1050 and a few years old now. The side chute broke early on, the bagger assembly is unique to the 50” and 54” and is $500 no matter where you buy it from. The engine is good although bottom crank seal began leaking after about 30 hours. And the hydrostatic trans is noisy and leaky too. The much cheaper MTD that I had previously seems better when price and cost of ownership factor in. I thought red was an expensive color but yellow has a high cost too.

Original review: July 24, 2018

Cub Cadet has served me well for 12 years now and for the most part it is not to hard to work on when things break (Transmission belt excluded). Like that you can replace parts within the spindle assembly, unlike some brands where you have to replace the whole assembly. Cut has become slightly uneven but the way grass grows here it's not noticeable in a day or two so I will not go through the pain of figuring out where the deck is warped. Would buy again.

Get expert buying tips about Riding Mower delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 20, 2018

I purchased this Cub Cadet Zero Turn RZT-L 46" on 10/1/2017, it was built in 2016. I would rate this mower a 5, but it is the worst riding mower of the 6 that I have had in my 77 years. The seat doesn't have any padding, and 2/1" dia x 3" long springs for suspension don't do anything. I'm 2 hundred lbs and the springs do not compress at all. The seat is like riding on board. Other than that it has been good. I would not recommend this mower because of the ride, it is very hard on the back.

Original review: July 20, 2018

This mower is American made which pleased me. But I wish the mower had a little wider base for hilly land. I have a reservoir on my property that I have to mow and am nervous that it may tip (I am new to riding mowers). So I am working up the courage to do the reservoir. Otherwise, the mower handles very well. It turns easily and is also very easy to operate. I especially like the gas intake being easily accessible.

Original review: July 19, 2018

I got my Cub about 10 years ago. It has held up very well. It was a little more expensive than some but it is worth the little extra for the length that it has lasted me and the only thing I have replaced was a drive belt and a battery. I like the gas pedal and that it can go in reverse without shifting it. Another good feature is that you can put it in cruise control for one speed without stepping on the gas pedal, or you can make it go faster or slower with gas pedal. We have a lot of hilly lawn. One time I was going down one of the hills and cut it to quick to turn and fell off the tractor. It has an automatic shut off when you get off the seat. So that stopped the Cub right in its tracks, so to speak. I wasn't hurt, just my pride a little, but glad it didn't keep going. It's well worth a few extra dollars.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cub Cadet?

Original review: July 3, 2019

I bought a Cub Cadet LT46 riding lawn mower and the starter fails after 14 hours of use. I called the customer service dept. and they said "Too bad." "Take it in to get it fixed and pay for the repairs yourself". What a bunch of bull! I will never buy another Cub Cadet or anything else from the company that makes them MTD products.

Original review: June 25, 2019

I bought the LT 50" lawn mower on 5-15-2019 and I must say it is a great cutting mower when the cutting deck is clean. That's were the problem is, because of the design of the deck. It is a very shallow and there isn't enough void for the grass that is collected during cutting to not interfere with the blades. So after every cutting you have to get underneath and remove the grass that is packed onto the cutting deck which is over a 5 gallon of grass debris after every cutting. If you don't remove it each time your mower will not cut properly and will dog the motor down when cutting a typical lawn also leaving standing grass. So if you don't mind cleaning your deck after every time using it then this mower is for you. NOTE the grass I mow is dry not wet.

Original review: June 13, 2019

I bought my Cub Cadet from Home Depot in September of 2018. It was refurbished. I mowed my yard twice with it, when I got it out this year to mow it would not start. I tried to change fuel, fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs and battery. Still won't start. I personally find this to be a expensive piece of junk.

Original review: June 12, 2019

I just bought a new Walk behind, fueled it with new gas and filled it with pre-measured engine oil. I read the operator's manual and attempted to start it but to no avail. There is no choke, no primer pump, no fuel cutoff valve so starting should have been straight forward. I am returning it this weekend and don’t expect the dealer will take it back but I’m leaving it and walking away no matter how it goes. This has been so disappointing and an entire waste of two weekend days travelling to town to buy it, to the cottage to deliver it and all that to return it. Sigh.

Original review: May 30, 2019

Cub Cadet's online sales website is misleading and Cub Cadet's Customer Support is poor. On April 22, 2019, I purchased a Cub Cadet XT2 GX54D Lawn Tractor from Cub Cadet online. Being disabled, the advertised and promoted "FastAttach blade system for easy blade changes" was very appealing to me on their higher priced XT2 GX54D. With the Lawn Tractor shipping to California, at checkout their website automatically updated my order to an XT2 GX54D that met California "CARB standards" (California Air Resources Board regulates engine emissions). No mention anywhere on the Cub Cadet website or in the checkout menu or web pages that the model lawn tractor (still listed as an XT2 GX54D) that Cub Cadet sent to me would no longer have the FastAttach blade system!

Without information on Cub's website, there is no way to know that an easy blade change system would be deleted for "CARB standards"! The mower arrived April 30th and the moment I added gas and drove the ~700 lb tractor off its shipping pallet to evaluate it, I was informed by Cub Cadet Customer Support that it could not be returned and that they were unwilling to help in any way. Although I mailed a formal complaint May 2, 2019 to Cub Cadet, I have not received a response. Be wary of Cub Cadet's online sales as their website is misleading and deceptive causing a bait and switch of lawn tractor purchase while Cub Cadet's Customer Support will offer you minimal assistance.

Cub Cadet expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Cub Cadet has created American-made riding lawn mowers since 1961. They create mid-range to high-end riding mowers for homeowners and landscapers seeking high-end features and mowers capable of handling large yards.

• Riding mower variety: This company offers garden and lawn tractors and zero-turn mowers. A lawn tractor is another term for a standard riding lawn mower, while a garden tractor is a heavier version with a larger engine. Garden tractors typically handle difficult mowing jobs and yards larger than 3 acres.

• 4-acre capacity: Robust riding mowers handle massive lawns and lots with ease.

• Good terrain handling: Several Cub Cadet riding mower models focus on powerful engines capable of dealing with slopes and hilly terrain.

• Maneuverability: Zero-turn mowers provide high-performance handling and cut down on lawn do-overs.

• Commercial options: Cub Cadet provides commercial-grade riding mower options alongside its residential selection.

• Best for: Property managers, landscapers and homeowners looking for high-powered riding mowers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs