3.9/5 (182 ratings)

About Cub Cadet

Cub Cadet engineers, designs and builds outdoor power equipment using high-quality components sourced locally and globally. Through a dedicated and extensive network of dealers and retailers, Cub Cadet delivers a full line of high-performance power equipment and services that cover all aspects of grounds care for professionals and homeowners. Its products include four-wheel-steer zero-turn riders, lap-bar zero-turn riders, utility vehicles, lawn and garden tractors, specialty turf products, battery- and gasoline-powered handheld and chore products, snow blowers and more. Based in Valley City, Ohio, Cub Cadet is recognized worldwide for its legacy in engineering excellence and its dedication to designing for the people who depend on the company's equipment.

Cub Cadet Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cub Cadet?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cub Cadet?

Original review: Aug. 7, 2021

I like the comfort of the seat, this is important, and the ease of drivability. It isn't a zero turn, but it cuts around my new trees easily. My yard is not flat and that doesn't stop my Cub, it cuts evenly not matter the slope. Clean-up and maintenance are both relatively easy. Much better than a push mower.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2021

I have a Cub Cadet Zero-Turn Radius Mower that I purchased from a previous owner. I used it for years on a very rough lawn with lots of exposed tree roots, etc. and consequently beat it up pretty well. It has performed admirably with very little service required. I still own the mower today and use it on a virtually perfect lawn with only a few rough spots next to the construction next door. I have been very happy with this mower.

Get buying tips about Riding Mower delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2021

GREAT LAWN MACHINE, it's tough, really cuts neat and fun to use. Sorry I can't say enough about it. I love it, unfortunately mine finally gave out and I can't afford another. I can't work and I'm disabled. My poor wife has to cut the grass in front and side of the house with a push mower and she is 70 years old. We don't cut the backyard now. The lot is 1.07 acres.

Original review: July 31, 2021

I purchased a Cub Cadet 50 in cut riding mower last year. I love it. I just do not love tbe cost of blades for this mower. It cost almost $85.00 for blades. The original blades did last one season. The mower handles and maneuvers like a champ. I would recommend this mower for anyone with a very large yard. It is an awesome Mower!

Original review: July 30, 2021

My Cub Cadet was easy to maneuver and cut the grass evenly and best of all it mulched the clippings, so it was easy to clean up afterwards. I only have 69 hours on the mower and it has not failed to meet my needs. I bought the mower from the Home Depot and made interest free payments to make my purchase. The mower looks as good now as when I got it.

Original review: May 20, 2022

Buyer beware, I will be giving a review on three companies involved in one transaction. These companies are Tractor Supply, TSC's extended warranty company - Asurion and lastly Cub Cadet. Little back story, I have a Cub Cadet that I bought at Tractor Supply that was made by Cub Cadet, the 1554 series. We live out in the country and I have had this for over 15 yrs and plowed snow, mowed 4 acres and used it in my garden. Naturally after 15 yrs and doing triple duty, it is ready to go over the lawn tractor rainbow bridge. So since I had a great experience with Tractor Supply and Cub Cadet in the past I decided to do it a second time.

I bought a Cub Cadet XT1 Enduro, 42 in. last year on May 27, 2021 with an extended warranty from Asurion. It mowed really great last year. I used it just like I used the other one in regards to mowing and no snow plowing or garden work. So I put it away for the winter and waited to mow again in the spring and summer of 2022. Since we have had a early spring here in Ohio this year, we had to start the mowing season early. I mowed three times and on the third time the Cub Cadet XT1 Enduro, 42 in. stopped moving. I looked underneath and found that the transmission belt came off and destroyed the fan blade on top of the transmission due to STICKS, Yes I said STICKS. I was VERY, VERY upset because it had not even been a year and I bought it to replace the 1554 series and it broke down.

Asurion - I called Asurion because of the extended warranty and knowing that Cub Cadet would not touch it because it was not a regular warranty issue. Asurion said that because it was under manufacture warranty and that Cub Cadet had to handle it. Since it was so close to the end of the manufacture warranty I asked if they could take over. The lady that I talked to said sure and they would handle it. What happened is that she lied to me and sent the case straight to Cub Cadet, who won't handle it because it is not a manufactured warranty issue. Asurion has used every excuse on why not to honor their contract with both Tractor Supply and Cub Cadet. If you research Asurion you will find person after person, after person, person after person, after person, person after person, after person say the very same thing.

Tractor Supply - First I called the store where I bought it at and they could only go so far and then I started a three day journey into abyss. I would be told time and time again that the extended warranty should cover this and time and time again they came back and told me that Asurion said that it is just like the manufacture warranty and they would not cover it. I had been told at one time that Asurion would not handle it because Cub Cadet started the claim. Now that happened because Asurion lied to me and said they was going to handle it. Now that is where I am at as of 5/19/21 with Tractor Supply and Asurion.

The question that I had asked Tractor Supply was "Why in the world did I pay $400.00 for an extension warranty if it won't even cover it and if sticks will cripple it then that means that I bought a $3000.00 paper weight." By the way TSC never answered that question. TSC sent just sent me a email that said my problem was not covered according to Asurion even though TSC's own people said that it should be covered.

Cub Cadet - Although I did not deal with them on this issue directly, I mention them because this is the kind of crap that they are making. Even the TSC's store told me that this is a tough lawn mower and could handle my lawn. Like I mentioned before "I paid $400.00 for an extension warranty that won't even cover it and if sticks will cripple it then that also means that I bought a $3000.00 lawn mower for nothing." and that is what Cub Cadet is putting out for us to buy.

Conclusion - I urge all people who want/need a lawn mower, don't buy a Cub Cadet and by NO means buy anything from Tractor Supply and for ALL that it is worth do not buy anything from anyone that use Asurion to cover it. Just before I got ready to post this review, Tractor Supply did tell me that they will give me $200.00 back from my extended warranty cost. That equals to only 6% of the total cost that I spent that the three of them stole from me and people like me with their bait and switch and false promises in order to make a sale. I had a boss tell me one time about dealing with the public, "Sell them the dream, sell them the dream".

Original review: May 13, 2022

2019 zt1-54 zero turn mower left hydrostat quit working carried to dealership. After 2 weeks not hearing anything, called, they said they would have to call Cub Cadet, find out what they wanted to do. Called back a week later they said Cub cadet said tear it down and look at it. Called back a week later they said Cub cadet hadn't decided yet. 3 weeks later I called back they said it's ready, went and picked it up. Head called a few times in the week prior but the service manager was never available till the day I picked it up. It was over a week before I could use it the first time because of rain, done fine. But the problem was it would quit pulling after about a half a tank of gas. Was 3 weeks later before I was able to run it long enough for it to get warm enough and hydrostatic quit pulling again. It only had about a month of warranty left when I carried it to dealership.

Needless to say they kept it to warranty was over. Have tried repeatedly to contact Cub cadet set on hold for 2 to 3 hours each time no answer. Contact the dealership they said it was out of warranty, would cost me close to $900. Cub cadet only has one phone number for anything related to Cub cadet. I have been a loyal Cub cadet owner for years. I have a 25-year-old Murray GT that still runs and cuts grass like it should. Have a 3-year-old Cub cadet that's a boat anchor. It's ridiculous the cost of the hydrostat is a third of the price of the mower. Will never buy another Cub cadet anything or anything affiliated with them including any of the affiliated dealers.

Original review: April 25, 2022

2 year old Cub Cadet battery dead.. Warranty says 3 years.. Called them and rep says it's not covered.. When I told him it says 3years he had no response... Wow.. He directed me to sales for purchase of new battery at my cost...

Original review: April 21, 2022

I can't say anything about the riding mower that I purchased because over a month later I still have not been able to use it. I bought a battery operated riding mower, it arrived without the charger. Called Cub Cadet, they placed an order for me. Called again a week later and was told that the part is on back order and I should receive sometime next month. I can see that the part is in stock with other retailers and that this Manufacturer who sold me the equipment could certainly purchase one of those and send to me but they will not. I asked to have it picked up and told customer service that it was not crated, order submitted. Freight Co called to schedule, I told them it was not crated, pick up scheduled. Truck arrived and refused to take the mower because it wasn't crated. DO NOT BUY DIRECT FROM CUB CADET, go to a retailer who you trust.

Original review: March 16, 2022

I purchased a Cub Cadet XT1 Enduro LT 42 riding mower in July of 2021. First time I used it, the deck belt broke. I was able to get a replacement from Cub Cadet but that one didn't last. I purchased a new one, but that one will work for a pass or two and then the belt comes off. This has happened so many times that I got fed up and asked Home Depot for a refund. They told me that I could do that and would pick up the mower and my purchase price would be returned to me in the form of Home Depot Gift card. I was given a telephone number to call to arrange the trucking company pick up.

After awhile I asked what the situation was, and I was given a routing number from the trucking company. I again contacted them and was told the pickup was cancelled by Home Depot. Still going back and forth. In the meantime I had to take money from savings to buy another mower. Cub Cadet blew me off because they have no local dealer/repair shop anywhere near me. I don't have a means to transport the mower anyway. Cub Cadet knowingly sells this mower with belt problems, among other things. So, I have an almost brand new mower just sitting because I can't use it.

Cub Cadet author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Cub Cadet has created American-made riding lawn mowers since 1961. They create mid-range to high-end riding mowers for homeowners and landscapers seeking high-end features and mowers capable of handling large yards.

• Riding mower variety: This company offers garden and lawn tractors and zero-turn mowers. A lawn tractor is another term for a standard riding lawn mower, while a garden tractor is a heavier version with a larger engine. Garden tractors typically handle difficult mowing jobs and yards larger than 3 acres.

• 4-acre capacity: Robust riding mowers handle massive lawns and lots with ease.

• Good terrain handling: Several Cub Cadet riding mower models focus on powerful engines capable of dealing with slopes and hilly terrain.

• Maneuverability: Zero-turn mowers provide high-performance handling and cut down on lawn do-overs.

• Commercial options: Cub Cadet provides commercial-grade riding mower options alongside its residential selection.

Cub Cadet Company Information