3.71/5

Quit paying for costly home repairs

Quit paying for costly home repairs

537 Cub Cadet Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 26, 2019

These Cub Cadet 50” are good mowers overall. This is the LTX1050 and a few years old now. The side chute broke early on, the bagger assembly is unique to the 50” and 54” and is $500 no matter where you buy it from. The engine is good although bottom crank seal began leaking after about 30 hours. And the hydrostatic trans is noisy and leaky too. The much cheaper MTD that I had previously seems better when price and cost of ownership factor in. I thought red was an expensive color but yellow has a high cost too.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I have had the lawn mower for three years, and am more than pleased with it. The first year I had it the mice got into it, which was not the problem of the machine. My dealer picked up my machine for a minimal charge and repaired it for a very reasonable fee. I wouldn't buy any other machine than what I have and it would be through a dealer with service.

Get expert buying tips about Riding Mower delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I purchased the LT1050 in the spring of 2005. It has been a great Mower. Still has the original tires. Replaced the belts twice and a steering bushing once. Not bad in 14 years. Still cranks and runs like a champ! Thank you Cub Cadet. Joe in Boiling Springs, SC.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2019

I purchased a 2011 1042 Cub Cadet with a 19HP Kohler Motor at the beginning of 2012. It has shredded belts on deck continually and I have to replace the blade spindles about every 2 years, had to replace steering wheel bearing last year, now with less than 200 hours the motor started to smoke. Thought it was valve cover gaskets, so I replaced them, a month ago, but started to smoke worse this week and engine begin to knock. Stopped and looked. Oil blowing on muffler. Got to looking close. Motor has a crack from bottom of block, all the way to top at flywheel. I always thought Cub was good, but the body and deck on mine has continued to fall a part. And I always thought Kohler was top of line above Briggs/Stratton, but from what I have been reading online, I can see Kohler is producing JUNK. For $2000 for a mower, I really feel I got took to the cleaners.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

Bought XT1 Enduro 46 in. 22 HP V-Twin Kohler Gas Hydrostatic Front-Engine Lawn Tractor on July 26 2019. 1st mow the cover came off. The black engine cover that attaches to the top yellow cover had broken T connections, it's all plastic, but our local Home Depot replaced it without hesitation. The 2nd mow only made it around the house 1 time & heard a noise. Cut off mower and found the bar connecting the PTO had come out of the hole, there is nothing holding it in, because the belt is so loose it can slip behind or in front of the bar. This caused the pulley to rub, bad design flaw. Mower had 1.5 hours on it, had our other Cub same model for 7 yrs, only gave it to our daughter as she needed a mower. Luckily we were within the 30 day return window for full refund. No more Cubs for us.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cub Cadet?

Original review: July 24, 2019

I purchased a mower from the local Tractor Supply about a year ago. I have always kept up with the maintenance (spark plugs, air filter, oil change). My mower won’t start now. Brand new gas. Tech support told me it sounded like a carb problem and it wouldn’t be covered by warranty even though I took all step last year to properly store the mower and followed all instructions on getting it ready for this year. The tech was very rude and would talk over me every time I would try saying something and told me any cost incurred would be out of pocket even though I followed all their instructions. So what the hell is a 3 year warranty even good for if you ain’t going to fix anything. Nothing but lies from this company.

Original review: July 3, 2019

I bought a Cub Cadet LT46 riding lawn mower and the starter fails after 14 hours of use. I called the customer service dept. and they said "Too bad." "Take it in to get it fixed and pay for the repairs yourself". What a bunch of bull! I will never buy another Cub Cadet or anything else from the company that makes them MTD products.

Original review: June 25, 2019

I bought the LT 50" lawn mower on 5-15-2019 and I must say it is a great cutting mower when the cutting deck is clean. That's were the problem is, because of the design of the deck. It is a very shallow and there isn't enough void for the grass that is collected during cutting to not interfere with the blades. So after every cutting you have to get underneath and remove the grass that is packed onto the cutting deck which is over a 5 gallon of grass debris after every cutting. If you don't remove it each time your mower will not cut properly and will dog the motor down when cutting a typical lawn also leaving standing grass. So if you don't mind cleaning your deck after every time using it then this mower is for you. NOTE the grass I mow is dry not wet.

Original review: June 13, 2019

I bought my Cub Cadet from Home Depot in September of 2018. It was refurbished. I mowed my yard twice with it, when I got it out this year to mow it would not start. I tried to change fuel, fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs and battery. Still won't start. I personally find this to be a expensive piece of junk.

Original review: June 12, 2019

I just bought a new Walk behind, fueled it with new gas and filled it with pre-measured engine oil. I read the operator's manual and attempted to start it but to no avail. There is no choke, no primer pump, no fuel cutoff valve so starting should have been straight forward. I am returning it this weekend and don’t expect the dealer will take it back but I’m leaving it and walking away no matter how it goes. This has been so disappointing and an entire waste of two weekend days travelling to town to buy it, to the cottage to deliver it and all that to return it. Sigh.

Cub Cadet expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Cub Cadet has created American-made riding lawn mowers since 1961. They create mid-range to high-end riding mowers for homeowners and landscapers seeking high-end features and mowers capable of handling large yards.

• Riding mower variety: This company offers garden and lawn tractors and zero-turn mowers. A lawn tractor is another term for a standard riding lawn mower, while a garden tractor is a heavier version with a larger engine. Garden tractors typically handle difficult mowing jobs and yards larger than 3 acres.

• 4-acre capacity: Robust riding mowers handle massive lawns and lots with ease.

• Good terrain handling: Several Cub Cadet riding mower models focus on powerful engines capable of dealing with slopes and hilly terrain.

• Maneuverability: Zero-turn mowers provide high-performance handling and cut down on lawn do-overs.

• Commercial options: Cub Cadet provides commercial-grade riding mower options alongside its residential selection.

• Best for: Property managers, landscapers and homeowners looking for high-powered riding mowers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs