2. Homeowners
  3. Riding Mowers

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.64/5

Cub Cadet Reviews

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

I have been mowing 2+ acres with a 2006 LT1550 for years, replaced the belt twice and steering bushing twice, nothing else other than regular maintenance and it still runs great. This past weekend I upgraded to the ZT2 54. We have no grass to cut yet, but the neighbors flower bed is tempting....can't wait to try it.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

J & B Greene Company, Ronda, NC. Worked with Chris over the phone and purchased a Cub Cadet Zero Turn Mower. When I arrived to pick it up, it was ready, full of fuel, books complete, and check out was flawless. He took the time to review the entire mower and make sure I understood all the features. We had to rearrange items on our trailer to accommodate the mower and he and one of his guys helped until all was done and properly tied down. You won't get this service at a big box store. These folks are a statement of how a pleasurable shopping experience should be.

Get expert buying tips about Riding Mower delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 26, 2019

These Cub Cadet 50” are good mowers overall. This is the LTX1050 and a few years old now. The side chute broke early on, the bagger assembly is unique to the 50” and 54” and is $500 no matter where you buy it from. The engine is good although bottom crank seal began leaking after about 30 hours. And the hydrostatic trans is noisy and leaky too. The much cheaper MTD that I had previously seems better when price and cost of ownership factor in. I thought red was an expensive color but yellow has a high cost too.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I have had the lawn mower for three years, and am more than pleased with it. The first year I had it the mice got into it, which was not the problem of the machine. My dealer picked up my machine for a minimal charge and repaired it for a very reasonable fee. I wouldn't buy any other machine than what I have and it would be through a dealer with service.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I purchased the LT1050 in the spring of 2005. It has been a great Mower. Still has the original tires. Replaced the belts twice and a steering bushing once. Not bad in 14 years. Still cranks and runs like a champ! Thank you Cub Cadet. Joe in Boiling Springs, SC.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cub Cadet?

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

Brought the 3 stage 420 cc Cub cadet snowblower 2 years ago, used hardly 10 hours in last two winters. So far the machine broke down over 7 times. Broken sheer pins, after 3 hours of use changed spark plugs, broken belts, broken auger control springs and serviced carburetor. Every time use the machine, it broke down. Poor quality parts.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2019

I place an order for ( 2 ) CC 800 mowers online on Friday November 22. I did not get and confirmation or even an email that confirmed my order. On Sunday I got an email saying "Thank you for your order – we appreciate your business. Your preferred dealer will contact you shortly regarding your order for delivery. If you have questions regarding your order, please contact the dealer". Two hours later I get another e mail saying 'We've Processed Your Request. Mid Atlantic Outdoor Equipment has processed your request. Please allow 7-10 business days for your cancellation to be processed. Please see below for details:

Request: Order determined to be fraudulent."

If Cub Cadet doesnt have the resource to to set up a team that calls, or email customers back for verification, I dont think it's appropriate for them to sell online. There are a ton of online businesses, who have put in place resources and even verification teams that call the verify the buyer's details after you place an online order. I called their customer service at 877-428-2349, and the rep I spoke to placed me on hold for about 4 mins, and she came back telling me her manager says they suspect a fraudulent activity and they can only sell me one, even for that one one, I should send them a copy of my ID and a copy of the credit card am using to purchase.

She suggested I go to Mid Atlantic Outdoor Equipment, at Davidsonville, Maryland to show my ID and credit card for purchase. There are two things that could have gone wrong. I think cub cadet shouldnt be allowed to sell online since they dont have the resource to do so or they profiled me because of my name. It's such a waste of time ordering your product online, and if cub cadet needed details, my order # is **.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

I have Cub Cadet LTX 1040 for a few years. The engine, Kohler Courage 19 HP is horrible. The crankcase had a poked hole at the bottom last year, and I bought a short block to replace it, one year later, the same thing happened again. Three places on a side of the crankcase had cracks, which of course cannot hold any oil. When I shake the engine, I can hear a piece of metal making noise inside of the crankcase. I was wondering what it is so easy to be broken there.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

Cub Cadet used to make outstanding equipment, but this unit is terrible. Very flimsy construction and the most uncomfortable ever. Hydro drive awkward pedals. Seat too small. The parking brake does not work. The reverse button only works part of the time. I would not recommend this mower to anyone.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

I purchased a CC Xt42 one year ago and at 34 hours it failed due to a carb issue. I called CC and was told to take it to their authorized repair center. I delivered to Mitch’s Lawnmower Ship in TN where I was promptly told it was the carb needle and CC would not warranty it past 30 days. I was told I was using ethanol fuel which was the problem. I told him I was using the same fuel in 14 other pieces of equipment with no problem. That told me that if it was warranty then they’d would warranty it.

I picked it up a few days later and paid 230.00. I was unhappy! Called CC and was told their dealer makes the warranty determination. I asked what the warranty was on a carb and they told me it was fuel related so they can’t back it. Their warranty is a sham! Deny seems to be their mantra! Neither the company, Home Depot or their service center showed even the slightest interest in standing behind the product. I would not recommend buying a CC product!

Not sure about Cub Cadet?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Riding Mower for you.

Cub Cadet expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Cub Cadet has created American-made riding lawn mowers since 1961. They create mid-range to high-end riding mowers for homeowners and landscapers seeking high-end features and mowers capable of handling large yards.

• Riding mower variety: This company offers garden and lawn tractors and zero-turn mowers. A lawn tractor is another term for a standard riding lawn mower, while a garden tractor is a heavier version with a larger engine. Garden tractors typically handle difficult mowing jobs and yards larger than 3 acres.

• 4-acre capacity: Robust riding mowers handle massive lawns and lots with ease.

• Good terrain handling: Several Cub Cadet riding mower models focus on powerful engines capable of dealing with slopes and hilly terrain.

• Maneuverability: Zero-turn mowers provide high-performance handling and cut down on lawn do-overs.

• Commercial options: Cub Cadet provides commercial-grade riding mower options alongside its residential selection.

• Best for: Property managers, landscapers and homeowners looking for high-powered riding mowers.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team