2.62/5

529 Cub Cadet Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 26, 2019

These Cub Cadet 50” are good mowers overall. This is the LTX1050 and a few years old now. The side chute broke early on, the bagger assembly is unique to the 50” and 54” and is $500 no matter where you buy it from. The engine is good although bottom crank seal began leaking after about 30 hours. And the hydrostatic trans is noisy and leaky too. The much cheaper MTD that I had previously seems better when price and cost of ownership factor in. I thought red was an expensive color but yellow has a high cost too.

Original review: July 24, 2018

Cub Cadet has served me well for 12 years now and for the most part it is not to hard to work on when things break (Transmission belt excluded). Like that you can replace parts within the spindle assembly, unlike some brands where you have to replace the whole assembly. Cut has become slightly uneven but the way grass grows here it's not noticeable in a day or two so I will not go through the pain of figuring out where the deck is warped. Would buy again.

Get expert buying tips about Riding Mower delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 20, 2018

I purchased this Cub Cadet Zero Turn RZT-L 46" on 10/1/2017, it was built in 2016. I would rate this mower a 5, but it is the worst riding mower of the 6 that I have had in my 77 years. The seat doesn't have any padding, and 2/1" dia x 3" long springs for suspension don't do anything. I'm 2 hundred lbs and the springs do not compress at all. The seat is like riding on board. Other than that it has been good. I would not recommend this mower because of the ride, it is very hard on the back.

Original review: July 20, 2018

This mower is American made which pleased me. But I wish the mower had a little wider base for hilly land. I have a reservoir on my property that I have to mow and am nervous that it may tip (I am new to riding mowers). So I am working up the courage to do the reservoir. Otherwise, the mower handles very well. It turns easily and is also very easy to operate. I especially like the gas intake being easily accessible.

Original review: July 19, 2018

I got my Cub about 10 years ago. It has held up very well. It was a little more expensive than some but it is worth the little extra for the length that it has lasted me and the only thing I have replaced was a drive belt and a battery. I like the gas pedal and that it can go in reverse without shifting it. Another good feature is that you can put it in cruise control for one speed without stepping on the gas pedal, or you can make it go faster or slower with gas pedal. We have a lot of hilly lawn. One time I was going down one of the hills and cut it to quick to turn and fell off the tractor. It has an automatic shut off when you get off the seat. So that stopped the Cub right in its tracks, so to speak. I wasn't hurt, just my pride a little, but glad it didn't keep going. It's well worth a few extra dollars.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cub Cadet?

Original review: May 20, 2019

The engineer that thought that putting all the operating foot controls on the same side should be terminated. It makes the mower extremely awkward to operate. The brakes pedal should be on the left side.

Original review: May 16, 2019

I bought my first acreage and the mower was my most exciting purchase to take care of my new property. I researched for hours finding the perfect mower, and spent the extra for the Kawasaki engine that everyone said was a must, as I wanted something with minimal maintenance. This thing now has 150 hours on it, and has been the worst piece of equipment I have ever owned. By 50 hours, the starter was toast, as well as the battery. (This thing always turned over hard, more on that later.) By 60 hours, the rear axle seal went out spilling fluid all over my garage.

By 100 hours - this is the thing that upsets me the most - the mower deck paint is coming off in flakes. The flaking off paint is exposing smooth shiny new steel underneath. There is absolutely zero adhesion! No primer or nothing. Of course the steel starts to rust right away exposed, and a rusted out deck will lead to all sorts of problems with the spindles. Spent big $$$ to have the deck sandblasted and powder coated properly before it becomes a problem. At 150 hours, I still cannot get the engine to turn over after engine is warmed up. Starter doesn't have enough "juice", it never has. So after some thought, I tried replacing all starter, ground and battery wires with a much heavier gauge as the factory ones are THIN. Sure enough, the starter now cranks over like a raped ape. Factory wires are nowhere near thick enough to support the amperage needed to turn over the V-twin.

I would like to take this opportunity to say SCREW YOU to the bean counters at Cub Cadet. The cheap plastic and cost saving measures using no paint prep and under engineered parts have turned your power company from something my grandpa was proud to own for 30 years into a throw away Chinese garbage mower company. You should really be ashamed.

Original review: May 10, 2019

Spend 3k on a brand new Zero Turn & it kept turning off. I call Home Depot where I purchased it & they said I couldn’t return it, that I had to go through warranty. I call Cub Cadet & they give me the number to some local company who fix machinery. This company was booked for 3 months. Do not buy from Home Depot!! & search for a different brand. John Deere I hear is good!

Original review: May 9, 2019

Only had our cub cadet since last October. It only has 14 hrs on it and has been kept in the barn all winter, and this spring it ran one time and wouldn't start anymore. We took it back to Tractor Supply where we purchased it from and it's still under warranty so they sent it off for repair now Cub Cadet is saying the engine is locked up. How can that even be unless it was a bad mower to begin with. They are also saying now that the flywheel is rusted. They seem to be giving us the runaround and trying to get out of the warranty. We only used it a few times since we bought it and like I said it was stored in the barn for the winter.

Original review: May 8, 2019

I purchased my $3K zero turn mower at Home Depot. After 3 hours of use, the right side drive started making very loud clunking noises. I called Cub Cadet and they said to take it to one of two repair facilities in town. Both places were booked up for over two months and wouldn't accept the mower. I returned to Home Depot, where I purchased it, and they wouldn't allow me to return in (I've had it for 7 days!). Home Depot suggested that I purchase another one from them, that way I would always have one if the other had to be repaired. I found a repair facility 90 minutes from my home and took it there. They said it would be several weeks before they could look at it. I called Cub one more time to see if they could do anything to speed this up and they said NO. I would not buy another Cub Cadet. I would not purchase a mower through Home Depot.

Original review: May 7, 2019

I bought my Cub Cadet Zero Turn mower new and will never buy another. The screws and bolts are not tight and the parts are damaged before you know they are loose. The zero turn arms came loose and lost some of the parts. Valve cover screws came loose and lost three screws and a mess of oil in yard, had to replace both valve cover gaskets. The muffler manifold bolts came out of one side and destroyed the muffler. The rear motor mounting bolts fell out and not sure what damage that did to the drive train. And the list goes on!!! Do not buy a Cub Cadet zero turn mower....

Original review: April 30, 2019

I purchased a Cub Cadet riding lawnmower/tractor. I used it once to cut a small patch of lawn. When I pulled it out to use it again a week later, it sputtered and refused to start. Checked the battery, it was fine. Called customer service and was told to take it to an authorized repair shop. The nearest one was 1st minutes away. Took it in and they had it for 6 weeks. Was told it was the carburetor and that it was not covered under the warranty. I had only owned it 3 months, 6 weeks of that it was in the shop! Got it home after paying the $400 repair bill and used it once on a small patch to test it, parked it in the garage, pulled it out a week later and it won't start again! We have a $1200 paper weight! Would never recommend this product. Corporate was not helpful and it was next to impossible to find a repair shop that would deal with this brand.

Original review: April 20, 2019

26 hours use 3 new belts and belt fell off 33 times. Dealer says machine is ok. Nothing wrong. Cub Cadet should be put out of business. Thousands of complaints on the same problem all over the internet.

Original review: April 19, 2019

My 70-year-old father bought this and has had NOTHING but problems with this. Replaced parts after parts and nowhere to grease parts. LEMON! Don't buy! You cannot even grease transmission. Disappointed with this purchase.

Original review: April 10, 2019

LGTX 1050 mower. The company didn't care. Called them because I was getting screwed by the dealer. I was mad and cub cadet representative hung up on me!! Dealer delivered it with with burned out wiring. Ordered new wiring, came and cut out new wiring and spliced it on. Told me he would replace new wiring harness but didn't finally came to pick it up again and fixed it then got it home. It was never the same leaked oil. Took it to another dealer. They told me Eng had not been put together. Right gasket was not put in right. 3 throttle cables were put on which they did not warranty because they had not made the engine. Bought a new Troy-Bilt weeder which I didn't know MTD had bought out at the time. Had trouble starting it since it was new. The pull cord does not retract. Have to tap shaft with a hammer for it to work. I will never, never buy another product from this company ever again. Their products are all the same.

Original review: March 22, 2019

Bought brand new for $2800. Has trouble starting. Have to pour a little gas to the carburetor. Blades are too thin and wear out fast. Control arms are out of alignment even after adjusting them. I just spent 2 hours trying to fix this issue to no avail. The springs attached to the arms are incredibly hard to put back on. First you must attach a heavy gauge spring with a really small opening to a hook which is almost impossible to reach due to the small opening to install.

I got it hooked ONE time using a coat hanger to find that it is 2" below the hole for the bolt. Again the gauge of the spring is too hard to stretch. There is no way to leverage. I gave up and now have no mower. The spark plugs and oil filter are hard to reach as well. Very poor engineering and design. Go with a different brand and save yourself a lot of time, money, and stress!!!

Original review: March 18, 2019

I have had the lawn mower for three years, and am more than pleased with it. The first year I had it the mice got into it, which was not the problem of the machine. My dealer picked up my machine for a minimal charge and repaired it for a very reasonable fee. I wouldn't buy any other machine than what I have and it would be through a dealer with service.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I purchased the LT1050 in the spring of 2005. It has been a great Mower. Still has the original tires. Replaced the belts twice and a steering bushing once. Not bad in 14 years. Still cranks and runs like a champ! Thank you Cub Cadet. Joe in Boiling Springs, SC.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

Purchased the Cub Cadet CC30H mower from a local dealer near Cleveland, Ohio in October 2017. In July 2018 the Engine locked up due to a Catastrophic oil leak. The dealer found an oil leaked however Cub Cadet will not replace the engine. Cub Cadet argues that an oil leak is not an manufacturing defect and is the responsibility of the owner. The oil sprayed out while the mower was in use. The cost of a replacement motor is $1100, I paid $1400 for the mower. Ouch $1400 down the drain. Think twice before you purchase this mower.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

In 2005 I was in the market for a new riding mower. I decided to pay considerably more money and get a really nice, "name brand" mower with hydrostatic transmission and 46 inch cut. I selected the Cub Cadet 1045. When I brought it home, it would not start to get it off the truck. I should have taken it right back to the dealer and got my money back...but I didn't. It has definitely been the worst piece of junk I have ever purchased. Have replaced the steering mechanism so many times, I lost count. The belt pulleys have been horrible.

Belt that turns blades comes off at least 2 or 3 times each time I cut my 1.5 acres. The drive belt comes off and/or breaks. In the 13 years I have owned this Cub Cadet, I could count on 2 hands how many times I have been able to mow my yard without having to work on the mower. I will say that the actual cut is fantastic...but the misery this machine has caused me is not worth it. The drive belt broke again 3 weeks ago and I have decided not to put any more money into this thing. I will be purchasing another mower this week...but it will NOT be a Cub Cadet.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

I purchased a Z-Force L48 with a fabricated deck on 6/20/16. Since then, the mower has backfired constantly and shuts down in the middle of mowing. Now the starter won't work correctly. The mower has spent more time in the shop than in my shed; I've only been able to use it about a dozen times or so. This paperweight cost me $4,400 and Cub Cadet won't do anything about it. I've asked for a new mower but Cub's response is "We're not in the habit of giving out new mowers, sir."

The shop where I purchased it has been great! They have bent over backwards trying to get the thing right and have followed all of Cub's service recommendations (and then some). A Cub rep supposedly looked at the machine during its last stay at the service center and determined that a fuel feeding tube was installed backwards. Cut my lawn twice now but the third time it quit. I have to let it cool down to crank it up again then it will run for another 10-20 minutes. Ridiculous!!

Now the starter won't work right. I have to coax it gently just to get it to turn over. Luckily, I have an old Sears Zero Turn built by Husqvarna that I use as a back-up. Without it, I'd never get my lawn cut. I hoped to use it as a back-up to the Cub; Ha! It's my MAIN MOWER!! I guess I'll have to take Cub to court over this. The mower is a lemon and at this point, I really don't want another one. I'd like them to reimburse me for my purchase so I can walk away. I know I'm in for a fight and I'm willing to let America see what this great American company is willing to put this American through!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

First week I purchased Cub Cadet mower. It had problems with the steering, took back three times in the first two weeks to get it to steer right, had to take it back a fourth time to finally get it right. Had problem third week after purchase. Drive belt went bad less than 2 hours on the machine. Had to pay $148.00 to replace belt. The first week of owning the machine tires would not grab the ground. Just made dirt turn to dust. Got stuck in 1/2 inch of hard dirt, if ground is damp at all. Tires spin on grass, asked for better tires but they had none in stock. The sales department offered an extended service plan and told me they would pick up and deliver, turns out it's not true, cost $50.00 each way or $100.00 round trip.

Original review: July 28, 2018

Cuts like a Rolls, runs like a Yugo! - We purchased a Cub Zero Radius lawn tractor, model i1046, in 2010 at a Cub Dealership. The mower cuts beautifully, when it’s not in the shop! We have less than 300 hours on the mower but have replaced the Köhler engine at 100 hours, the replacement engine smoked like chimney within 2 months, leaking oil onto the manifold, so we took it to a repair shop, not the dealer who sold it to us... he went out of business! And they fixed it only to begin smoking again in 2 months.

Next, the steering mechanism broke around 200 hours. Back to the shop for steering mechanism, smoke, blades and belts. At 270 hours, the drive belt went and now at 300 hours, the steering shaft snapped! The only good thing with all of the breakdowns is that I get plenty of exercise mowing the acre yard with my Toro walk behind... We paid good money for this mower and have followed the maintenance schedule to a tee. Cub Cadet should be embarrassed to put this type of junk out for people to buy. Next breakdown is the last for me... should have bought a Toro!

Original review: July 27, 2018

I like the way my mower handles. It has a sharp turning radius. The problem is the tires. Within the first year three of them needed repairs and the mower was recalled. That is a poor track record for my mower.

Original review: July 27, 2018

My only little complaint is that the mower “hangs up” easy if I go over a very uneven area. That results in one tire not touching the ground and mower won’t go forward not backward— especially if grass is damp. Then I have to shut mower down and push it to level surface. Otherwise a great little machine!

Original review: July 27, 2018

We’ve owned the mower for 1.5 seasons and so far it’s been great. Safety features are great especially if you have children. We bought the mulching blade, works great. The self cleaning deck is a plus. Just hook up the hose and runs the water. No more smelly garage.

Original review: July 26, 2018

Clean cut, easy to handle, great value. Also, there are a lot of extra accessories that can be used with the Cub Cadet. I would definitely purchase Cub Cadet and its other products again.

Original review: July 26, 2018

I owned a sly 1554. It was so awful always needed work to be done on Transmission was so weak it wouldn't even back up if on the site grade. Just a very bad mower.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I have an issue with the battery. It does not keep the charge very well. Might be that my yard is too small to sufficiently charge it. Over all it does what it is intended to do.

Original review: July 25, 2018

Worked ok for 1st year or so, but I mow a steep backyard and the transmission (Hydro Static) is starting to slow down and the shafts that holds the blades, I have to replace them often at $94 each. Also this mower has less than 200 hours and I had to replace leaking valve cover, and the front wheels turn out in front making it hard to turn a sharp corner. CUB CADET is definitely overrated and overpriced. I use to buy Murray before they went to China, they were $800 and would last without very little maintenance for 5 to 8 years, then I would junk them and buy another. But when you pay $2000 for a Cub and have less than 200 hours... 4 years... I have spent enough on it in repairs to buy 3 Murrays.

Cub Cadet expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Cub Cadet has created American-made riding lawn mowers since 1961. They create mid-range to high-end riding mowers for homeowners and landscapers seeking high-end features and mowers capable of handling large yards.

• Riding mower variety: This company offers garden and lawn tractors and zero-turn mowers. A lawn tractor is another term for a standard riding lawn mower, while a garden tractor is a heavier version with a larger engine. Garden tractors typically handle difficult mowing jobs and yards larger than 3 acres.

• 4-acre capacity: Robust riding mowers handle massive lawns and lots with ease.

• Good terrain handling: Several Cub Cadet riding mower models focus on powerful engines capable of dealing with slopes and hilly terrain.

• Maneuverability: Zero-turn mowers provide high-performance handling and cut down on lawn do-overs.

• Commercial options: Cub Cadet provides commercial-grade riding mower options alongside its residential selection.

• Best for: Property managers, landscapers and homeowners looking for high-powered riding mowers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs