2. Homeowners
  3. Riding Mowers

3.8/5 (572 ratings)

About Cub Cadet

Cub Cadet engineers, designs and builds outdoor power equipment using high-quality components sourced locally and globally. Through a dedicated and extensive network of dealers and retailers, Cub Cadet delivers a full line of high-performance power equipment and services that cover all aspects of grounds care for professionals and homeowners. Its products include four-wheel-steer zero-turn riders, lap-bar zero-turn riders, utility vehicles, lawn and garden tractors, specialty turf products, battery- and gasoline-powered handheld and chore products, snow blowers and more. Based in Valley City, Ohio, Cub Cadet is recognized worldwide for its legacy in engineering excellence and its dedication to designing for the people who depend on the company's equipment.

Cub Cadet Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cub Cadet?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cub Cadet?

Original review: July 17, 2021

So we got a Cub Cadet rider mower 4 or 5 years ago maybe. We did call them about the problems we are having with it and they said to bring it to them. I have no way of getting it there. One one was able to help because I needed to bring it to them! I had John Deere rider mowers but thought I would give this a shot. NO. NEVER AGAIN! I will NEVER get this MOWER again. Save some Money and get a JOHN DEERE. This has been one problem after another. We have just about replaced everything but the engine still not working right. I'm just sick of place that take your money and leave you with crap. We have been having starting issues after we had it for one year! I have never had a problem EVER with my JOHN DEERE. So I guess I'm going to have to go buy a JOHN DEERE now. Just tired of wasting money. NEVER NEVER AGAIN. PLEASE don't WASTE YOUR MONEY!

Original review: July 9, 2021

There is a breaded cable that lifts the mower deck and positions it at the appropriate height for your yard. I have replace both of these beaded cables every other year for the past 15 years that I've owned the mower at a cost of $20 from the local Cub Cadet Service Center. The service center said that Cub has known about this issue since these mowers have landed in the showroom and CUB WILL DO NOTHING ABOUT A RECALL OR REDESIGN THE LIFTING DEVICE. Be advised that if you have one of the older mowers this will be a routine failure. I took the breaded cable to a machine shop and had them make an identical part out of steel which works great. Cub Cadet should have done this when they first learned of the problem, but as other have indicated, they claim no responsibility for design failures and broken parts.

Original review: July 8, 2021

Mower had 70 hours on it when Kawasaki 1000V engine started shooting fire out muffler and extreme blowby of oil out dipstick. Cub Cadet refuses to replace the engine. This is a $17,000 mower with 70 hours. Been in the shop all summer. Going back to John Deere.

Original review: June 25, 2021

I bought a Cub Cadet riding mower because I thought it was a quality mower and that the company would stand behind their product which they do not. I got it in August of 2020 and the second time used it this year the steering started skipping and wouldn't turn so I called the local dealer and was told they could pick it up from my house for 50.00 and another 50.00 to bring it back. So I got a friend to take it to them and after four days my wife called and they told her the steering shaft was bent from abuse and was not covered under the warranty and would be 150.00 to repair. So when called to see when it would be ready and they told me a factory rep looked at it and said the heavy duty part was going to free but we had to pay for the service 150.00 when I got it back there was a different part replaced so I'm not really sure what is going on but I do know I will never buy another cub cadet.

Original review: June 9, 2021

Purchased new Cub because it would mow 4" high. It has the mulching kit. It throws grass in my rock landscaping, rattles like it will fall apart, tears up the grass. Cannot turn as a zero turn for the previous reason. My old one could turn on a dime, mulch grass perfect. The new ZT1's tires push down grass and I have to overlap to get that mowed. Leaves grass all over the lawn and narrow strips un-mowed. I would love to have my money back and my old mower. I purchased it from A to Z Rental in Pekin, Illinois. I have complained but have not gotten much response. I will be going there this week. If he won't do anything, I will have to go after the company.

Original review: June 1, 2021

Last year (2020) purchased a new Cub Cadet zero turn mower. This year the throttle cable assembly failed. Was told that the service center would have the cable in 3 weeks (5/28). Told today it "might" arrive on 6/30, now looking at 7 weeks without a mower.

Original review: May 3, 2021

WE INVESTED OVER $4000. An electric ride on cub cadet. Had quirks, like a sticking pedal, had to be quick to avoid racing into a tree or over an embankment, were told use WD40. Did not work they adjusted it. It stopped working we did not have it more than a few hours, took a month to troubleshoot, and calling the company did nothing. Our dealer in Union Maine had to await a part to diagnose, then told us it was not covered by “best warranty in the business”, blamed mouse damage, brand new mower. They finally got it working (after loaning us their mower when lawn got out of hand, and the ticks). But it was not charging. Winter came, we had it under cover. The charger light did not come on. They came and got mower and charger. Charger is defective. They do not have another one as the new models are different and will not work on our mower. No idea when the company will send out a new charger. We are stuck.

Last year we pleaded, and ultimately were upset with the apathy of cub cadet and the local dealer we bought it from, they refused to refund us for this expensive mower which we have now used under ten hours. We tried going through AG office. We are stuck. This is one of the worst investments we have ever made. There are design flaws. It is overpriced. Will never buy a new cub cadet, or any product from Union farm equipment again, really sad to say.

Original review: April 29, 2021

I want to work for your company. A moron could design a better bagger than this. I've had it for the 2nd season and all the plastic clips have broken off. I've not hit anything. The bagger is next to useless. If that's what your quality control is about I want nothing to do with Cub Cadet. We paid $600 for it and it's not worth $100.

Original review: April 10, 2021

Updated on 04/19/2021: This is an update to a review posted on April 10. Today (Sunday) when I attempted to start my electric mower, I heard a loud pop and then a strong electrical smell. I quickly turned it off, and ran like hell away from the electric mower. I feared either a runaway fire or an explosion of the lithium iron battery pack. Thank God it did neither. The mower is less than a year old. Multiple problems have been registered with both the dealer and Cub Cadet corporate over the past 11-1/2 months, and all I ever received from the dealer was "everything checks out, no problems found". Draw your own conclusion.

Original Review: I have owned a Cub Cadet CC 30e for 11-1/2 months. I have experienced repeated electrical problems in this period of time. Mower just going dead after mowing for 5-15 minutes (multiple times), unable to restart the mower for 15-20 minutes after it goes dead (multiple times), unable to turn on the mower deck (multiple times), and unable to charge the mower most recently - the LCD display would not display a charge status (display blank) and then the mower charge LED indicators which show the level of charge completely shut off. Of course, the Cub Cadet dealer always says "can't reproduce the problem, gee we just don't have problems with this electric mower".

I am extremely frustrated and upset with both the dealer and Cub Cadet. Filing a case with Cub Cadet corporate support to report these issues was completely worthless! And the final straw, the dealer has had my mower for three days, and they just told me on Friday "we can't get the mower back to you until Tuesday of next week" - leaving me without a mower for almost a week. Neither Cub Cadet or their dealers stand behind their products, no matter what they may say. My recommendation - absolutely do not even consider buying any Cub Cadet product.

Original review: April 8, 2021

Bought this turn lawn mower at Tractor Supply. We live in a rural area. They did not tell us in order to keep the manufacturer warranty we would have to figure out how to transport this item 45 miles away if something went wrong and of course it did 1 week after we bought it. Key switch went out. Manufacture company did nothing and did not let us know that they don't make that part number so I had to go on Amazon and find a replacement so hopefully it works. All I have to say is ask a lot of questions when you buy something as expensive as this mower was. Cub Cadet should do something but yes they will but you figure how to get it to a shop which will cost you to take it in and get it back to your home..not a happy camper customer. Just want people to know what to expect. I got more information from a shop than I did from cub cadet manufacturer.

Cub Cadet Company Information