2. Homeowners
  3. Riding Mowers

3.8/5 (574 ratings)

About Cub Cadet

Cub Cadet engineers, designs and builds outdoor power equipment using high-quality components sourced locally and globally. Through a dedicated and extensive network of dealers and retailers, Cub Cadet delivers a full line of high-performance power equipment and services that cover all aspects of grounds care for professionals and homeowners. Its products include four-wheel-steer zero-turn riders, lap-bar zero-turn riders, utility vehicles, lawn and garden tractors, specialty turf products, battery- and gasoline-powered handheld and chore products, snow blowers and more. Based in Valley City, Ohio, Cub Cadet is recognized worldwide for its legacy in engineering excellence and its dedication to designing for the people who depend on the company's equipment.

Cub Cadet Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cub Cadet?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cub Cadet?

Original review: July 27, 2018

My only little complaint is that the mower “hangs up” easy if I go over a very uneven area. That results in one tire not touching the ground and mower won’t go forward not backward— especially if grass is damp. Then I have to shut mower down and push it to level surface. Otherwise a great little machine!

Original review: July 27, 2018

We’ve owned the mower for 1.5 seasons and so far it’s been great. Safety features are great especially if you have children. We bought the mulching blade, works great. The self cleaning deck is a plus. Just hook up the hose and runs the water. No more smelly garage.

Original review: July 26, 2018

Clean cut, easy to handle, great value. Also, there are a lot of extra accessories that can be used with the Cub Cadet. I would definitely purchase Cub Cadet and its other products again.

Original review: July 26, 2018

I owned a sly 1554. It was so awful always needed work to be done on Transmission was so weak it wouldn't even back up if on the site grade. Just a very bad mower.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I have an issue with the battery. It does not keep the charge very well. Might be that my yard is too small to sufficiently charge it. Over all it does what it is intended to do.

Original review: July 25, 2018

Worked ok for 1st year or so, but I mow a steep backyard and the transmission (Hydro Static) is starting to slow down and the shafts that holds the blades, I have to replace them often at $94 each. Also this mower has less than 200 hours and I had to replace leaking valve cover, and the front wheels turn out in front making it hard to turn a sharp corner. CUB CADET is definitely overrated and overpriced. I use to buy Murray before they went to China, they were $800 and would last without very little maintenance for 5 to 8 years, then I would junk them and buy another. But when you pay $2000 for a Cub and have less than 200 hours... 4 years... I have spent enough on it in repairs to buy 3 Murrays.

Original review: July 25, 2018

Some design features could be improved, such as the grass catching bag mechanism and the manner in which it attaches to the deck assembly. The fuel capacity indicator on the rear of the tractor should be more easily seen to know the amount of remaining fuel in the tank.

Original review: July 24, 2018

Strong decks, rugged, easy to drive in tight spaces and very durable. Highly recommended this mower for small to large cutting areas. Great mower and great price.

Original review: July 24, 2018

Cub Cadet has served me well for 12 years now and for the most part it is not to hard to work on when things break (Transmission belt excluded). Like that you can replace parts within the spindle assembly, unlike some brands where you have to replace the whole assembly. Cut has become slightly uneven but the way grass grows here it's not noticeable in a day or two so I will not go through the pain of figuring out where the deck is warped. Would buy again.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I did a lot of shopping, I research the Consumer Report! Got the X-1 with the 46 inch deck & the Kolher 22hp. The value was right & 2yr warranty also the dealer will do the maintenance.

Original review: July 23, 2018

It is in the shop an average of twice a year. The repairman says it shakes apart and not well built. Right now it is down because the fuel solenoid fell apart, and it won't start. It has around 300 hours on it, if I could afford a new one, I would roll it off a cliff. Lesson Learned.

Original review: July 23, 2018

There are a couple of things that I had to discover about the mower myself. It would have been good to have a salesperson spend a half hour or so to help me with a hands on.

Original review: July 23, 2018

I purchased this Cub Cadet lawn tractor in the spring of 2012 and it has performed very well. It was also very reasonably priced. It is solidly built with numerous positive features.

Original review: July 22, 2018

Cub Cadet 46 inch mower is probably my fifth or sixth mower and so far (3 years) it has been pretty good. I have had Craftsman, Husqvarna 56 inch, Yard Pro and Toro. Husqvarna having been the worst value while I got 20 years of very hard work out of the Craftsman. And Cub Cadet has been the best so far. However, their attachments are way over priced and apparently from reviews not too good.

Original review: July 21, 2018

Impressive after 1 year. Nice turning radius, easy start, even cut and like that I can view gas in tank. Comparable prices with others but outperforms Craftsman & John Deere.

Original review: July 21, 2018

I love my mower! It's like therapy to mow the lawn between the smell of fresh cut grass and the best ride around. Also I love the wind in my face... I wish I could mow more often.

Original review: July 21, 2018

It’s a riding mower and it cuts grass while you ride around. Also leaves a nice cut. So far it hasn’t broken just a new battery and it’s good to go.

Original review: July 20, 2018

I purchased this Cub Cadet Zero Turn RZT-L 46" on 10/1/2017, it was built in 2016. I would rate this mower a 5, but it is the worst riding mower of the 6 that I have had in my 77 years. The seat doesn't have any padding, and 2/1" dia x 3" long springs for suspension don't do anything. I'm 2 hundred lbs and the springs do not compress at all. The seat is like riding on board. Other than that it has been good. I would not recommend this mower because of the ride, it is very hard on the back.

Original review: July 20, 2018

This mower is American made which pleased me. But I wish the mower had a little wider base for hilly land. I have a reservoir on my property that I have to mow and am nervous that it may tip (I am new to riding mowers). So I am working up the courage to do the reservoir. Otherwise, the mower handles very well. It turns easily and is also very easy to operate. I especially like the gas intake being easily accessible.

Original review: July 20, 2018

I would like it to be bigger and wider. But it is easy to drive and handle and a good price. It is only 42in, rides very good, starts great. 60in I would get done faster.

Original review: July 19, 2018

My Cub Cadet Z turn has been the best mower that I’ve ever owned. I had mine for 12 years and never a problem, aside having to have the carburetor cleaned. I am mowing about 2 acres in the time I owned it (800+ hrs) on it.

Original review: July 19, 2018

I got my Cub about 10 years ago. It has held up very well. It was a little more expensive than some but it is worth the little extra for the length that it has lasted me and the only thing I have replaced was a drive belt and a battery. I like the gas pedal and that it can go in reverse without shifting it. Another good feature is that you can put it in cruise control for one speed without stepping on the gas pedal, or you can make it go faster or slower with gas pedal. We have a lot of hilly lawn. One time I was going down one of the hills and cut it to quick to turn and fell off the tractor. It has an automatic shut off when you get off the seat. So that stopped the Cub right in its tracks, so to speak. I wasn't hurt, just my pride a little, but glad it didn't keep going. It's well worth a few extra dollars.

Original review: July 19, 2018

The brackets that mount the handles are too soft of metal and they bend from time to time. Other than that, I like this mower a lot. I am a heavier guy 250 lbs and it works fine. I have replaced the stock blades with mulching blades so the cut on the grass is much finer. But wish the mower would have come with the mulching plug.

Original review: July 18, 2018

Only real problem with the mower is the starters are weak, I've replaced the one twice with OEM equipment. Other than that they are tough, cuts evenly and cleanly.

Original review: July 18, 2018

I love my Cub Cadet lawn mower. It drives well and cuts the grass nice and even. This is my second time buying the Cub Cadet. This mower is worth the money.

Original review: July 18, 2018

The mower has been great. Usually starts the first try. I like the feature that lets you mow in reverse. It’s the most user friendly designs I’ve seen. My only complaint lies with the seat bushings. They are cheap plastic and wore out within the first three or four uses. Metal shoulder bolts would have only cost pennies more and would be much more durable.

Original review: July 17, 2018

The small Honda is easy start, fast and strong enough for gator blades in thick St Augustine. 46" cut with Honda engine is easy to handle for a medium size yard with a lot of maneuvering. Love the size as I have a lot of obstacles to get around.

Original review: July 17, 2018

The SC700E Cub Cadet does a wonderful job on my yard, front and rear wheel drive what more could you want, large rear wheels make it a breeze when mowing on a hill or uneven terrain. This has the Honda 190 CC engine and its plenty of power with easy starting. A great mower.

Original review: July 16, 2018

Bought the Cub Cadet XT1 46" new, and modified with a mulching kit. The mower is badly underpowered, and won't make up even the most minor incline on grass. It stops, and only one wheel spins making me wonder if the mower is a one wheel drive, not even having the drive train hooked up to both rear wheels. I've not found the truth on that in any of their literature. The instructions for removing the deck are incomplete, and I had to pretty much figure it out on my own as even customer support didn't know when I replaced the blades. I'll never buy another Cub Cadet product.

Original review: July 16, 2018

After having a heat stroke last year, I thought I would never get to use my mower again. But, I am back, (not fully, but back) and I use my mower over the entire yard and around scrubs and trees. My grass would not get cut if not for my Cub Cadet!

Cub Cadet Company Information