3.1/5 (1300 ratings)

About Cub Cadet

Cub Cadet engineers, designs and builds outdoor power equipment using high-quality components sourced locally and globally. Through a dedicated and extensive network of dealers and retailers, Cub Cadet delivers a full line of high-performance power equipment and services that cover all aspects of grounds care for professionals and homeowners. Its products include four-wheel-steer zero-turn riders, lap-bar zero-turn riders, utility vehicles, lawn and garden tractors, specialty turf products, battery- and gasoline-powered handheld and chore products, snow blowers and more. Based in Valley City, Ohio, Cub Cadet is recognized worldwide for its legacy in engineering excellence and its dedication to designing for the people who depend on the company's equipment.

Cub Cadet Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cub Cadet?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cub Cadet?

Original review: March 9, 2022

I bought a Cub Cadet 3 stage snowblower. Use it maybe 10 times. Belt blew up. Brought it in for repair and was not covered under warranty. Paid the bill, I called MTD. They said belts only have a 30 day warranty and I was on the hook for it. Very disappointing. Will never buy MTD product again.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2021

Purchased a Cub Cadet XT1 Enduro LT 50 in. Fabricated Deck 24 HP V-Twin Kohler 7000 Series Engine Hydrostatic Drive Gas Riding Lawn Tractor at Home Depot. I ordered it online and when it arrived 3 weeks later the entire plastic engine cover and control panel were crushed in. I had to refuse the delivery. I ordered another one and 3 more weeks later it arrived and outward it looked ok. As I unpackaged the tractor I again found the Plastic Engine cover broken in several places as well as the PTO control panel broken apart. Areas under the engine cover also broken. I called Cub Cadet hoping they would help me since this is my second tractor of theirs that was damaged upon arrival. I was told that the only way they could help me is if I actually paid for the repairs on the new tractor, they would not send me any parts and I would have to get the tractor to a place and pay to get it fixed.

The way they create these tractors is horrible. They are completely open on on top and the sides. They seem to mostly rely on plastic wrap for protection. The worst part I found was the cheaply designed plastic engine cover. It is so thin I cannot imagine this thing lasting more than a season without breaking from the vibration. I have again returned this Tractor to Home Depot and I will never again purchase a Cub Cadet product. Which is a shame since I purchased a snow blower years ago and that is a quality piece and have never had a problem with it. When I called Customer Service the guy I spoke to was so unhelpful and was acting like I had no business calling them. This is a horrible way to treat a customer and really left me with a bad feeling about Cub Cadet as a company.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2021

I’ve only had my Cub Cadet for approximately 8 hrs and now it sits in the garage not able to be used. Come to find out these mowers are notorious for battery problems and electrical kinks. The battery only costs $1400.00! My opinion, stick with gas mowers or maybe another brand of electric mower because Cub Cadet does not have the electric mowers figured out by far!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

I am over a month out from my order and I still haven’t received the part yet. Not only that, but there has been no communication from Cub Cadet about the order’s status. I have been having to push mow our 1 1/2 acre lot because I can’t use my riding lawn mower without this part. I can’t get the part any place but from Cub Cadet, so I am stuck until it comes in. There are no means of redress or assistance. Twice I have been in the queue to receive help, only to be cut off before receiving that help. On the third call, I finally reached a customer service agent only to be told it would be another month before the part was available.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

Have it for over 5 years - never any issues. Just need to make sure to clean it after each use, and empty the gas tank before the winter so it does not stall in the spring. It has amazing power also. I can cut grass up to my knees no problem at all.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2021

Worthless products. Don’t stand behind anything. Mower broke after not but two seasons. Drive for front wheel assist don’t work. Don’t mow any deeper grass. Boggs out and shuts off. Trimmer don’t start well or stay running. Runs tough sounds like it wants to die or blow up. Never again.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2021

I bought the mower for over $2,000. Within one year the starter locked up. Call for warranty on it. Three year warranty. Nearest places over an hour away. Got to put in a trailer and bring it there. I already had that starter tested at the auto store. It's bad. Cub Cadet won't do anything. Warranty place that's over an hour away so they can't look at it for 2 months because I didn't buy it from them. Cub Cadet won't do anything. I bought it off Amazon and put it on. Good to go.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2021

Outstanding, Cub Cadet is an very good mower, and I would recommend it to all my friends, at present time I always buy cub cadet, it works very well and I love the name they picked for this item. It does all my work so much easier.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2021

I like the comfort of the seat, this is important, and the ease of drivability. It isn't a zero turn, but it cuts around my new trees easily. My yard is not flat and that doesn't stop my Cub, it cuts evenly not matter the slope. Clean-up and maintenance are both relatively easy. Much better than a push mower.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2021

Well my dad used to MOW grass for the Cub Cadet Zero turn mower and to be honest it lasted a long time because they were old mowers and they are very easy to find parts for at Tractor Supply stores and stuff like that. They are durable. I really enjoy the ride as well.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2021

I have a Cub Cadet Zero-Turn Radius Mower that I purchased from a previous owner. I used it for years on a very rough lawn with lots of exposed tree roots, etc. and consequently beat it up pretty well. It has performed admirably with very little service required. I still own the mower today and use it on a virtually perfect lawn with only a few rough spots next to the construction next door. I have been very happy with this mower.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2021

I've had more trouble with my Cub Cadet mower than any other riding mower I've ever owned. I would never buy another Cub Cadet mower again. I go through belts like crazy. I'm thinking most of the problems are related to the hydrostatic transmission.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2021

I am a overall satisfied customer with the Cub Cadet. It’s easy to start. Handling the control handles are smooth and easy. And I get a even cut every time. I live on an acre and have to mow in the summer once a week and sometimes twice. It takes no time at all to get the job done.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2021

GREAT LAWN MACHINE, it's tough, really cuts neat and fun to use. Sorry I can't say enough about it. I love it, unfortunately mine finally gave out and I can't afford another. I can't work and I'm disabled. My poor wife has to cut the grass in front and side of the house with a push mower and she is 70 years old. We don't cut the backyard now. The lot is 1.07 acres.

Original review: July 31, 2021

I purchased a Cub Cadet 50 in cut riding mower last year. I love it. I just do not love tbe cost of blades for this mower. It cost almost $85.00 for blades. The original blades did last one season. The mower handles and maneuvers like a champ. I would recommend this mower for anyone with a very large yard. It is an awesome Mower!

Original review: July 30, 2021

My Cub Cadet was easy to maneuver and cut the grass evenly and best of all it mulched the clippings, so it was easy to clean up afterwards. I only have 69 hours on the mower and it has not failed to meet my needs. I bought the mower from the Home Depot and made interest free payments to make my purchase. The mower looks as good now as when I got it.

Original review: July 29, 2021

Purchased a Cub Cadet riding mower in 2013. Have had nothing but problems with it. Have had to put in more than $1000 in repairs and that's with people who don't charge a fortune for repairs. Why aren't machines made like they used to be? Our old mower was at least 20-25 years old when it finally bit the dust.

Original review: July 22, 2021

My Cub Cadet rider mower has been in the repair shop for over 3 months waiting for delivery of a spring from Cub Cadet. It can't be fixed until the repair shop gets the spring from Cub Cadet. I contacted Cub Cadet Customer Service and all they told me was they are working on finding new/other sources.

Original review: July 17, 2021

So we got a Cub Cadet rider mower 4 or 5 years ago maybe. We did call them about the problems we are having with it and they said to bring it to them. I have no way of getting it there. One one was able to help because I needed to bring it to them! I had John Deere rider mowers but thought I would give this a shot. NO. NEVER AGAIN! I will NEVER get this MOWER again. Save some Money and get a JOHN DEERE. This has been one problem after another. We have just about replaced everything but the engine still not working right. I'm just sick of place that take your money and leave you with crap. We have been having starting issues after we had it for one year! I have never had a problem EVER with my JOHN DEERE. So I guess I'm going to have to go buy a JOHN DEERE now. Just tired of wasting money. NEVER NEVER AGAIN. PLEASE don't WASTE YOUR MONEY!

Original review: July 9, 2021

There is a breaded cable that lifts the mower deck and positions it at the appropriate height for your yard. I have replace both of these beaded cables every other year for the past 15 years that I've owned the mower at a cost of $20 from the local Cub Cadet Service Center. The service center said that Cub has known about this issue since these mowers have landed in the showroom and CUB WILL DO NOTHING ABOUT A RECALL OR REDESIGN THE LIFTING DEVICE. Be advised that if you have one of the older mowers this will be a routine failure. I took the breaded cable to a machine shop and had them make an identical part out of steel which works great. Cub Cadet should have done this when they first learned of the problem, but as other have indicated, they claim no responsibility for design failures and broken parts.

Original review: July 8, 2021

Mower had 70 hours on it when Kawasaki 1000V engine started shooting fire out muffler and extreme blowby of oil out dipstick. Cub Cadet refuses to replace the engine. This is a $17,000 mower with 70 hours. Been in the shop all summer. Going back to John Deere.

Original review: June 25, 2021

I bought a Cub Cadet riding mower because I thought it was a quality mower and that the company would stand behind their product which they do not. I got it in August of 2020 and the second time used it this year the steering started skipping and wouldn't turn so I called the local dealer and was told they could pick it up from my house for 50.00 and another 50.00 to bring it back. So I got a friend to take it to them and after four days my wife called and they told her the steering shaft was bent from abuse and was not covered under the warranty and would be 150.00 to repair. So when called to see when it would be ready and they told me a factory rep looked at it and said the heavy duty part was going to free but we had to pay for the service 150.00 when I got it back there was a different part replaced so I'm not really sure what is going on but I do know I will never buy another cub cadet.

Original review: June 9, 2021

Purchased new Cub because it would mow 4" high. It has the mulching kit. It throws grass in my rock landscaping, rattles like it will fall apart, tears up the grass. Cannot turn as a zero turn for the previous reason. My old one could turn on a dime, mulch grass perfect. The new ZT1's tires push down grass and I have to overlap to get that mowed. Leaves grass all over the lawn and narrow strips un-mowed. I would love to have my money back and my old mower. I purchased it from A to Z Rental in Pekin, Illinois. I have complained but have not gotten much response. I will be going there this week. If he won't do anything, I will have to go after the company.

Original review: June 1, 2021

Last year (2020) purchased a new Cub Cadet zero turn mower. This year the throttle cable assembly failed. Was told that the service center would have the cable in 3 weeks (5/28). Told today it "might" arrive on 6/30, now looking at 7 weeks without a mower.

Original review: May 3, 2021

WE INVESTED OVER $4000. An electric ride on cub cadet. Had quirks, like a sticking pedal, had to be quick to avoid racing into a tree or over an embankment, were told use WD40. Did not work they adjusted it. It stopped working we did not have it more than a few hours, took a month to troubleshoot, and calling the company did nothing. Our dealer in Union Maine had to await a part to diagnose, then told us it was not covered by “best warranty in the business”, blamed mouse damage, brand new mower. They finally got it working (after loaning us their mower when lawn got out of hand, and the ticks). But it was not charging. Winter came, we had it under cover. The charger light did not come on. They came and got mower and charger. Charger is defective. They do not have another one as the new models are different and will not work on our mower. No idea when the company will send out a new charger. We are stuck.

Last year we pleaded, and ultimately were upset with the apathy of cub cadet and the local dealer we bought it from, they refused to refund us for this expensive mower which we have now used under ten hours. We tried going through AG office. We are stuck. This is one of the worst investments we have ever made. There are design flaws. It is overpriced. Will never buy a new cub cadet, or any product from Union farm equipment again, really sad to say.

Original review: April 29, 2021

I want to work for your company. A moron could design a better bagger than this. I've had it for the 2nd season and all the plastic clips have broken off. I've not hit anything. The bagger is next to useless. If that's what your quality control is about I want nothing to do with Cub Cadet. We paid $600 for it and it's not worth $100.

Original review: April 10, 2021

Updated on 04/19/2021: This is an update to a review posted on April 10. Today (Sunday) when I attempted to start my electric mower, I heard a loud pop and then a strong electrical smell. I quickly turned it off, and ran like hell away from the electric mower. I feared either a runaway fire or an explosion of the lithium iron battery pack. Thank God it did neither. The mower is less than a year old. Multiple problems have been registered with both the dealer and Cub Cadet corporate over the past 11-1/2 months, and all I ever received from the dealer was "everything checks out, no problems found". Draw your own conclusion.

Original Review: I have owned a Cub Cadet CC 30e for 11-1/2 months. I have experienced repeated electrical problems in this period of time. Mower just going dead after mowing for 5-15 minutes (multiple times), unable to restart the mower for 15-20 minutes after it goes dead (multiple times), unable to turn on the mower deck (multiple times), and unable to charge the mower most recently - the LCD display would not display a charge status (display blank) and then the mower charge LED indicators which show the level of charge completely shut off. Of course, the Cub Cadet dealer always says "can't reproduce the problem, gee we just don't have problems with this electric mower".

I am extremely frustrated and upset with both the dealer and Cub Cadet. Filing a case with Cub Cadet corporate support to report these issues was completely worthless! And the final straw, the dealer has had my mower for three days, and they just told me on Friday "we can't get the mower back to you until Tuesday of next week" - leaving me without a mower for almost a week. Neither Cub Cadet or their dealers stand behind their products, no matter what they may say. My recommendation - absolutely do not even consider buying any Cub Cadet product.

Original review: April 8, 2021

Bought this turn lawn mower at Tractor Supply. We live in a rural area. They did not tell us in order to keep the manufacturer warranty we would have to figure out how to transport this item 45 miles away if something went wrong and of course it did 1 week after we bought it. Key switch went out. Manufacture company did nothing and did not let us know that they don't make that part number so I had to go on Amazon and find a replacement so hopefully it works. All I have to say is ask a lot of questions when you buy something as expensive as this mower was. Cub Cadet should do something but yes they will but you figure how to get it to a shop which will cost you to take it in and get it back to your home..not a happy camper customer. Just want people to know what to expect. I got more information from a shop than I did from cub cadet manufacturer.

Original review: March 18, 2021

Purchased the Cub Cadet XT1 lawn tractor from Home Depot on 05/03/2019 with a "2 yr MFG warranty" for $2026.36 after taxes. The warranty is a joke. Six months ago the Koehler engine wouldn't turn over. I quickly discovered it was not the battery. Not having a way to transport the unit to a repair shop I googled a possible fix and called a repair shop.. I was told the the problem was common for Kohler engines and I could take the top cover off the engine and manually crank the engine to get it past the spot it was stuck at. The problem got increasingly common and I got tired of having to crank the engine like a model T.

I rented a trailer for $35.00 and took the unit to a local repair shop that covers Koehler warranties. After 2 weeks at the shop I got a call from the repair shop. Was told the valves needed to be adjusted but according to the repair man and Koehler service manager the work was not covered under the pathetic 2 yr MFG warranty. Even though it is still under warranty I have to pay for the valve re-adjustment. Not only that I have to rent another trailer for $35.00 to bring it home. Needless to say I am livid. Kohler engines are not recommended under any circumstances.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2021

Jeers to really awful customer service at Cub Cadet. Had a snow thrower just over a year old and it already needs a carburettor and they will not cover it... They said it was bad gas, but it's poor design. Too bad... Another brand bites the dust... Avoid any new units if possible!

Cub Cadet Company Information