4.0/5 (478 ratings)

About Cub Cadet

Cub Cadet engineers, designs and builds outdoor power equipment using high-quality components sourced locally and globally. Through a dedicated and extensive network of dealers and retailers, Cub Cadet delivers a full line of high-performance power equipment and services that cover all aspects of grounds care for professionals and homeowners. Its products include four-wheel-steer zero-turn riders, lap-bar zero-turn riders, utility vehicles, lawn and garden tractors, specialty turf products, battery- and gasoline-powered handheld and chore products, snow blowers and more. Based in Valley City, Ohio, Cub Cadet is recognized worldwide for its legacy in engineering excellence and its dedication to designing for the people who depend on the company's equipment.

Cub Cadet Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cub Cadet?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cub Cadet?

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

Purchased a 50” Cub Cadet Lawn Sweeper from Home Depot. After three months of use the bag started to tear along the seams. I called Cub Cadet to get a free replacement bag. I was told no, the bag warranty is only one month. I tried my luck with Home Depot and I was rejected there too. They said there was nothing they could do since the sweeper was more than 3 months. I wish companies would stand behind the products they build and sell.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2019

I purchased a 2011 1042 Cub Cadet with a 19HP Kohler Motor at the beginning of 2012. It has shredded belts on deck continually and I have to replace the blade spindles about every 2 years, had to replace steering wheel bearing last year, now with less than 200 hours the motor started to smoke. Thought it was valve cover gaskets, so I replaced them, a month ago, but started to smoke worse this week and engine begin to knock. Stopped and looked. Oil blowing on muffler. Got to looking close. Motor has a crack from bottom of block, all the way to top at flywheel. I always thought Cub was good, but the body and deck on mine has continued to fall a part. And I always thought Kohler was top of line above Briggs/Stratton, but from what I have been reading online, I can see Kohler is producing JUNK. For $2000 for a mower, I really feel I got took to the cleaners.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

Bought XT1 Enduro 46 in. 22 HP V-Twin Kohler Gas Hydrostatic Front-Engine Lawn Tractor on July 26 2019. 1st mow the cover came off. The black engine cover that attaches to the top yellow cover had broken T connections, it's all plastic, but our local Home Depot replaced it without hesitation. The 2nd mow only made it around the house 1 time & heard a noise. Cut off mower and found the bar connecting the PTO had come out of the hole, there is nothing holding it in, because the belt is so loose it can slip behind or in front of the bar. This caused the pulley to rub, bad design flaw. Mower had 1.5 hours on it, had our other Cub same model for 7 yrs, only gave it to our daughter as she needed a mower. Luckily we were within the 30 day return window for full refund. No more Cubs for us.

Original review: July 24, 2019

I purchased a mower from the local Tractor Supply about a year ago. I have always kept up with the maintenance (spark plugs, air filter, oil change). My mower won’t start now. Brand new gas. Tech support told me it sounded like a carb problem and it wouldn’t be covered by warranty even though I took all step last year to properly store the mower and followed all instructions on getting it ready for this year. The tech was very rude and would talk over me every time I would try saying something and told me any cost incurred would be out of pocket even though I followed all their instructions. So what the hell is a 3 year warranty even good for if you ain’t going to fix anything. Nothing but lies from this company.

Original review: July 3, 2019

I bought a Cub Cadet LT46 riding lawn mower and the starter fails after 14 hours of use. I called the customer service dept. and they said "Too bad." "Take it in to get it fixed and pay for the repairs yourself". What a bunch of bull! I will never buy another Cub Cadet or anything else from the company that makes them MTD products.

Original review: June 25, 2019

I bought the LT 50" lawn mower on 5-15-2019 and I must say it is a great cutting mower when the cutting deck is clean. That's were the problem is, because of the design of the deck. It is a very shallow and there isn't enough void for the grass that is collected during cutting to not interfere with the blades. So after every cutting you have to get underneath and remove the grass that is packed onto the cutting deck which is over a 5 gallon of grass debris after every cutting. If you don't remove it each time your mower will not cut properly and will dog the motor down when cutting a typical lawn also leaving standing grass. So if you don't mind cleaning your deck after every time using it then this mower is for you. NOTE the grass I mow is dry not wet.

Original review: June 13, 2019

I bought my Cub Cadet from Home Depot in September of 2018. It was refurbished. I mowed my yard twice with it, when I got it out this year to mow it would not start. I tried to change fuel, fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs and battery. Still won't start. I personally find this to be a expensive piece of junk.

Original review: June 12, 2019

I just bought a new Walk behind, fueled it with new gas and filled it with pre-measured engine oil. I read the operator's manual and attempted to start it but to no avail. There is no choke, no primer pump, no fuel cutoff valve so starting should have been straight forward. I am returning it this weekend and don’t expect the dealer will take it back but I’m leaving it and walking away no matter how it goes. This has been so disappointing and an entire waste of two weekend days travelling to town to buy it, to the cottage to deliver it and all that to return it. Sigh.

Original review: May 30, 2019

Cub Cadet's online sales website is misleading and Cub Cadet's Customer Support is poor. On April 22, 2019, I purchased a Cub Cadet XT2 GX54D Lawn Tractor from Cub Cadet online. Being disabled, the advertised and promoted "FastAttach blade system for easy blade changes" was very appealing to me on their higher priced XT2 GX54D. With the Lawn Tractor shipping to California, at checkout their website automatically updated my order to an XT2 GX54D that met California "CARB standards" (California Air Resources Board regulates engine emissions). No mention anywhere on the Cub Cadet website or in the checkout menu or web pages that the model lawn tractor (still listed as an XT2 GX54D) that Cub Cadet sent to me would no longer have the FastAttach blade system!

Without information on Cub's website, there is no way to know that an easy blade change system would be deleted for "CARB standards"! The mower arrived April 30th and the moment I added gas and drove the ~700 lb tractor off its shipping pallet to evaluate it, I was informed by Cub Cadet Customer Support that it could not be returned and that they were unwilling to help in any way. Although I mailed a formal complaint May 2, 2019 to Cub Cadet, I have not received a response. Be wary of Cub Cadet's online sales as their website is misleading and deceptive causing a bait and switch of lawn tractor purchase while Cub Cadet's Customer Support will offer you minimal assistance.

Original review: May 20, 2019

The engineer that thought that putting all the operating foot controls on the same side should be terminated. It makes the mower extremely awkward to operate. The brakes pedal should be on the left side.

Original review: May 16, 2019

I bought my first acreage and the mower was my most exciting purchase to take care of my new property. I researched for hours finding the perfect mower, and spent the extra for the Kawasaki engine that everyone said was a must, as I wanted something with minimal maintenance. This thing now has 150 hours on it, and has been the worst piece of equipment I have ever owned. By 50 hours, the starter was toast, as well as the battery. (This thing always turned over hard, more on that later.) By 60 hours, the rear axle seal went out spilling fluid all over my garage.

By 100 hours - this is the thing that upsets me the most - the mower deck paint is coming off in flakes. The flaking off paint is exposing smooth shiny new steel underneath. There is absolutely zero adhesion! No primer or nothing. Of course the steel starts to rust right away exposed, and a rusted out deck will lead to all sorts of problems with the spindles. Spent big $$$ to have the deck sandblasted and powder coated properly before it becomes a problem. At 150 hours, I still cannot get the engine to turn over after engine is warmed up. Starter doesn't have enough "juice", it never has. So after some thought, I tried replacing all starter, ground and battery wires with a much heavier gauge as the factory ones are THIN. Sure enough, the starter now cranks over like a raped ape. Factory wires are nowhere near thick enough to support the amperage needed to turn over the V-twin.

I would like to take this opportunity to say SCREW YOU to the bean counters at Cub Cadet. The cheap plastic and cost saving measures using no paint prep and under engineered parts have turned your power company from something my grandpa was proud to own for 30 years into a throw away Chinese garbage mower company. You should really be ashamed.

Original review: May 10, 2019

Spend 3k on a brand new Zero Turn & it kept turning off. I call Home Depot where I purchased it & they said I couldn’t return it, that I had to go through warranty. I call Cub Cadet & they give me the number to some local company who fix machinery. This company was booked for 3 months. Do not buy from Home Depot!! & search for a different brand. John Deere I hear is good!

Original review: May 9, 2019

Only had our cub cadet since last October. It only has 14 hrs on it and has been kept in the barn all winter, and this spring it ran one time and wouldn't start anymore. We took it back to Tractor Supply where we purchased it from and it's still under warranty so they sent it off for repair now Cub Cadet is saying the engine is locked up. How can that even be unless it was a bad mower to begin with. They are also saying now that the flywheel is rusted. They seem to be giving us the runaround and trying to get out of the warranty. We only used it a few times since we bought it and like I said it was stored in the barn for the winter.

Original review: May 8, 2019

I purchased my $3K zero turn mower at Home Depot. After 3 hours of use, the right side drive started making very loud clunking noises. I called Cub Cadet and they said to take it to one of two repair facilities in town. Both places were booked up for over two months and wouldn't accept the mower. I returned to Home Depot, where I purchased it, and they wouldn't allow me to return in (I've had it for 7 days!). Home Depot suggested that I purchase another one from them, that way I would always have one if the other had to be repaired. I found a repair facility 90 minutes from my home and took it there. They said it would be several weeks before they could look at it. I called Cub one more time to see if they could do anything to speed this up and they said NO. I would not buy another Cub Cadet. I would not purchase a mower through Home Depot.

Original review: May 7, 2019

I bought my Cub Cadet Zero Turn mower new and will never buy another. The screws and bolts are not tight and the parts are damaged before you know they are loose. The zero turn arms came loose and lost some of the parts. Valve cover screws came loose and lost three screws and a mess of oil in yard, had to replace both valve cover gaskets. The muffler manifold bolts came out of one side and destroyed the muffler. The rear motor mounting bolts fell out and not sure what damage that did to the drive train. And the list goes on!!! Do not buy a Cub Cadet zero turn mower....

Original review: April 30, 2019

I purchased a Cub Cadet riding lawnmower/tractor. I used it once to cut a small patch of lawn. When I pulled it out to use it again a week later, it sputtered and refused to start. Checked the battery, it was fine. Called customer service and was told to take it to an authorized repair shop. The nearest one was 1st minutes away. Took it in and they had it for 6 weeks. Was told it was the carburetor and that it was not covered under the warranty. I had only owned it 3 months, 6 weeks of that it was in the shop! Got it home after paying the $400 repair bill and used it once on a small patch to test it, parked it in the garage, pulled it out a week later and it won't start again! We have a $1200 paper weight! Would never recommend this product. Corporate was not helpful and it was next to impossible to find a repair shop that would deal with this brand.

Original review: April 20, 2019

26 hours use 3 new belts and belt fell off 33 times. Dealer says machine is ok. Nothing wrong. Cub Cadet should be put out of business. Thousands of complaints on the same problem all over the internet.

Original review: April 19, 2019

My 70-year-old father bought this and has had NOTHING but problems with this. Replaced parts after parts and nowhere to grease parts. LEMON! Don't buy! You cannot even grease transmission. Disappointed with this purchase.

Original review: April 10, 2019

LGTX 1050 mower. The company didn't care. Called them because I was getting screwed by the dealer. I was mad and cub cadet representative hung up on me!! Dealer delivered it with with burned out wiring. Ordered new wiring, came and cut out new wiring and spliced it on. Told me he would replace new wiring harness but didn't finally came to pick it up again and fixed it then got it home. It was never the same leaked oil. Took it to another dealer. They told me Eng had not been put together. Right gasket was not put in right. 3 throttle cables were put on which they did not warranty because they had not made the engine. Bought a new Troy-Bilt weeder which I didn't know MTD had bought out at the time. Had trouble starting it since it was new. The pull cord does not retract. Have to tap shaft with a hammer for it to work. I will never, never buy another product from this company ever again. Their products are all the same.

Original review: March 26, 2019

These Cub Cadet 50” are good mowers overall. This is the LTX1050 and a few years old now. The side chute broke early on, the bagger assembly is unique to the 50” and 54” and is $500 no matter where you buy it from. The engine is good although bottom crank seal began leaking after about 30 hours. And the hydrostatic trans is noisy and leaky too. The much cheaper MTD that I had previously seems better when price and cost of ownership factor in. I thought red was an expensive color but yellow has a high cost too.

Original review: March 22, 2019

Bought brand new for $2800. Has trouble starting. Have to pour a little gas to the carburetor. Blades are too thin and wear out fast. Control arms are out of alignment even after adjusting them. I just spent 2 hours trying to fix this issue to no avail. The springs attached to the arms are incredibly hard to put back on. First you must attach a heavy gauge spring with a really small opening to a hook which is almost impossible to reach due to the small opening to install.

I got it hooked ONE time using a coat hanger to find that it is 2" below the hole for the bolt. Again the gauge of the spring is too hard to stretch. There is no way to leverage. I gave up and now have no mower. The spark plugs and oil filter are hard to reach as well. Very poor engineering and design. Go with a different brand and save yourself a lot of time, money, and stress!!!

Original review: March 18, 2019

I have had the lawn mower for three years, and am more than pleased with it. The first year I had it the mice got into it, which was not the problem of the machine. My dealer picked up my machine for a minimal charge and repaired it for a very reasonable fee. I wouldn't buy any other machine than what I have and it would be through a dealer with service.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I purchased the LT1050 in the spring of 2005. It has been a great Mower. Still has the original tires. Replaced the belts twice and a steering bushing once. Not bad in 14 years. Still cranks and runs like a champ! Thank you Cub Cadet. Joe in Boiling Springs, SC.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

Purchased the Cub Cadet CC30H mower from a local dealer near Cleveland, Ohio in October 2017. In July 2018 the Engine locked up due to a Catastrophic oil leak. The dealer found an oil leaked however Cub Cadet will not replace the engine. Cub Cadet argues that an oil leak is not an manufacturing defect and is the responsibility of the owner. The oil sprayed out while the mower was in use. The cost of a replacement motor is $1100, I paid $1400 for the mower. Ouch $1400 down the drain. Think twice before you purchase this mower.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

In 2005 I was in the market for a new riding mower. I decided to pay considerably more money and get a really nice, "name brand" mower with hydrostatic transmission and 46 inch cut. I selected the Cub Cadet 1045. When I brought it home, it would not start to get it off the truck. I should have taken it right back to the dealer and got my money back...but I didn't. It has definitely been the worst piece of junk I have ever purchased. Have replaced the steering mechanism so many times, I lost count. The belt pulleys have been horrible.

Belt that turns blades comes off at least 2 or 3 times each time I cut my 1.5 acres. The drive belt comes off and/or breaks. In the 13 years I have owned this Cub Cadet, I could count on 2 hands how many times I have been able to mow my yard without having to work on the mower. I will say that the actual cut is fantastic...but the misery this machine has caused me is not worth it. The drive belt broke again 3 weeks ago and I have decided not to put any more money into this thing. I will be purchasing another mower this week...but it will NOT be a Cub Cadet.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

I purchased a Z-Force L48 with a fabricated deck on 6/20/16. Since then, the mower has backfired constantly and shuts down in the middle of mowing. Now the starter won't work correctly. The mower has spent more time in the shop than in my shed; I've only been able to use it about a dozen times or so. This paperweight cost me $4,400 and Cub Cadet won't do anything about it. I've asked for a new mower but Cub's response is "We're not in the habit of giving out new mowers, sir."

The shop where I purchased it has been great! They have bent over backwards trying to get the thing right and have followed all of Cub's service recommendations (and then some). A Cub rep supposedly looked at the machine during its last stay at the service center and determined that a fuel feeding tube was installed backwards. Cut my lawn twice now but the third time it quit. I have to let it cool down to crank it up again then it will run for another 10-20 minutes. Ridiculous!!

Now the starter won't work right. I have to coax it gently just to get it to turn over. Luckily, I have an old Sears Zero Turn built by Husqvarna that I use as a back-up. Without it, I'd never get my lawn cut. I hoped to use it as a back-up to the Cub; Ha! It's my MAIN MOWER!! I guess I'll have to take Cub to court over this. The mower is a lemon and at this point, I really don't want another one. I'd like them to reimburse me for my purchase so I can walk away. I know I'm in for a fight and I'm willing to let America see what this great American company is willing to put this American through!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

First week I purchased Cub Cadet mower. It had problems with the steering, took back three times in the first two weeks to get it to steer right, had to take it back a fourth time to finally get it right. Had problem third week after purchase. Drive belt went bad less than 2 hours on the machine. Had to pay $148.00 to replace belt. The first week of owning the machine tires would not grab the ground. Just made dirt turn to dust. Got stuck in 1/2 inch of hard dirt, if ground is damp at all. Tires spin on grass, asked for better tires but they had none in stock. The sales department offered an extended service plan and told me they would pick up and deliver, turns out it's not true, cost $50.00 each way or $100.00 round trip.

Original review: July 28, 2018

Cuts like a Rolls, runs like a Yugo! - We purchased a Cub Zero Radius lawn tractor, model i1046, in 2010 at a Cub Dealership. The mower cuts beautifully, when it’s not in the shop! We have less than 300 hours on the mower but have replaced the Köhler engine at 100 hours, the replacement engine smoked like chimney within 2 months, leaking oil onto the manifold, so we took it to a repair shop, not the dealer who sold it to us... he went out of business! And they fixed it only to begin smoking again in 2 months.

Next, the steering mechanism broke around 200 hours. Back to the shop for steering mechanism, smoke, blades and belts. At 270 hours, the drive belt went and now at 300 hours, the steering shaft snapped! The only good thing with all of the breakdowns is that I get plenty of exercise mowing the acre yard with my Toro walk behind... We paid good money for this mower and have followed the maintenance schedule to a tee. Cub Cadet should be embarrassed to put this type of junk out for people to buy. Next breakdown is the last for me... should have bought a Toro!

Original review: July 27, 2018

I like the way my mower handles. It has a sharp turning radius. The problem is the tires. Within the first year three of them needed repairs and the mower was recalled. That is a poor track record for my mower.

Original review: July 27, 2018

My only little complaint is that the mower “hangs up” easy if I go over a very uneven area. That results in one tire not touching the ground and mower won’t go forward not backward— especially if grass is damp. Then I have to shut mower down and push it to level surface. Otherwise a great little machine!

Cub Cadet Company Information