2. Homeowners
  3. Riding Mowers

3.8/5 (574 ratings)

About Cub Cadet

Cub Cadet engineers, designs and builds outdoor power equipment using high-quality components sourced locally and globally. Through a dedicated and extensive network of dealers and retailers, Cub Cadet delivers a full line of high-performance power equipment and services that cover all aspects of grounds care for professionals and homeowners. Its products include four-wheel-steer zero-turn riders, lap-bar zero-turn riders, utility vehicles, lawn and garden tractors, specialty turf products, battery- and gasoline-powered handheld and chore products, snow blowers and more. Based in Valley City, Ohio, Cub Cadet is recognized worldwide for its legacy in engineering excellence and its dedication to designing for the people who depend on the company's equipment.

Cub Cadet Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cub Cadet?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cub Cadet?

Original review: Oct. 20, 2020

I would not purchase any product from Cub Cadet. I had purchased this mower from Tractor Supply. The transmission went with 140 hours and Cub Cadet was very difficult to contact (no email, chats on their website disconnect you, wait times were hours on their phone number). Yes it was out of warranty but for a $2,900 machine with such low hours the transmission should never go. They had NO interest in keeping me or for that matter anyone as a customer. Poor product and even poorer customer service. Never again!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2020

My wife and I bought a new Cub Cadet XT1, LT42" in March to mow our own lawn with instead of paying someone else to do it for us. The first few months it would sputter and die showing low battery. So I bought a battery charger for it and charged it up..so I thought. Finally got fed up with it stalling and not being able to start it sometimes for days. I called the extended warranty number In July, and was referred to a "licensed" Cub Cadet repair shop near us. It sat at their shop for three weeks while they tried to figure out the problem.

I called the Cub Cadet number to find a different repair shop and got a different "licensed" Cub Cadet repair shop number and called them. They would need to pick up the mower from my house, so I called the first small engine repair shop and asked them to bring it back so I could have a different small engine repair shop pick it up. They delivered it a few days later, and I called the second shop to let them know I have my mower back. We went back and forth for about two weeks while they called Cub Cadet to find solutions with out having my lawn mower in the shop.

Meanwhile, I still can not get my lawn mower to stay on. Mid August (17th) comes around and the second repair shop picks up my lawn mower where it has been sitting while they try to figure out what is wrong with my mower. It is now October 6th and they are waiting on a part that may be delivered as soon as October 28th. In the meantime, I have been paying my neighbor to mow my lawn that I should have been able to mow my self.

My one hundred percent dissatisfaction is based on the first and only time I have purchased their product, and my poor experience with Cub Cadet is two fold. First is a poor quality product, and second is that the certified Cub Cadet small engine repair shops have yet to repair a product they sell. I understand that they are part of a system events, and that system needs adjusting. Particularly in a parts department where they do not have the part in stock. Which brings me to another point. If Cub Cadet does not have the part in stock, then either this is such a common problem that they have run out, or the parts department does not know how to keep parts in stock. Aside from all this, I have a great used lawn mower for sale with only about twelve hours of use on it if any one is interested.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

Have not had any issues with this mower. I recommend it highly. I use this mower 2 times a week and it has performed great. I like the deck cleaner that is built in on this mower. Cub Cadet can be very proud of this mower.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2020

Just like I said bad management. Well I was on the phone for over a hour. I don't know what more can be said about a organization this big and have such a mismanagement customer service. I will never buy anything else from Cub Cadet.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

This is a zero-turn mower with a 46'' cut. plenty of horsepower. Handles twice as easy as a regular riding mower. I have lots of trees and by the time I finished mowing with my old mower I was worn out and not done sometimes at the end of the day. Cuts my mowing time almost in half!

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

The Cub Cadet has been great. I mow an approximate 1/2 acre lot. The handling is great. The ease of use is really good. The cut is very good. Starting and stopping and the many safety features are great.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

The Cub Cadet is easy to use, comfortable, and easy to maintain. It does a fabulous job cutting the grass. We especially like that it is 100% American made. It's big enough to do the job, but small enough to fit into the garage. The lawn has never looked better, and in about 1/4 of the time it used to take mowing with a push mower.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

It's been a work horse with no problems after 2 full years of use. It's a 54-in fabricated deck it covers a lot of area quickly. The fabricated deck is heavy and well built. It starts every time and runs very well. I have two acres one of which is pretty rough and it handles it well. One thing I really like about this mower over other mowers I've had is the deck. It has a range from low to really high, over four inches high. It cuts smooth and even. As for the engine I've never had it lug down in any high grass. At this point in time I'm really happy with this mower.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

First of all, they use a chat bot that is the most frustrating and incompetent thing in the world. The website lists several parts for the same model, one of which is incorrect but no person can tell you why. Because they work from home and they have no knowledge of the product they are asked about. Unfortunately the chat bot is better than Vanessa or her supervisor Phil who do not give a crap about customer service. Vanessa would not connect to a supervisor, instead she transferred to another customer service rep, 3 hours later a supervisor has not called and had to call again in order to finally get a call back which was nothing but the same arrogance as Vanessa. No wonder the people he is supposed to supervise have an attitude when he himself has very poor customer service attitude.

Actually the supervisor hung up with his last words being, "go to our competitors". Don't mind me if I do! With this customer lack of service and this incompetent attitude I will never own another product by this company. Shame on them! Based on this experience I would not trust their customer service to flip a pre-made frozen burger after this horrible experience. No wonder their rating is so poor.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

I have owned three Cub Cadet lawn tractors and have found them all to be reliable and up for the task. I mow approximately one full acre of lawn. My current model has the Kawasaki engine and it runs exceptionally well. It seems the turning radius has been reduced on this model also.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2020

Great, fast, economical machine, does a great job in no time, My lawn comes out perfect & manicured, No troubles with the Cub Cadet machine, I highly recommend to all, priced right, easy to handle, Cuts the lawn picture perfect, no issues with the Cub Cadet Lawn Mower, love it!

Original review: Aug. 26, 2020

I brought a Cub Cadet off of their online site and chose the pickup at dealer option. The dealer I chose was one of the only ones that I could pick it up in 1 day. I reached out to the dealer prior to completing my purchase to ensure they had my model on hand, and again after completing my transaction to ask how the process works. A gentleman explained that he never done this type of transaction but he believed that the lady that works the financial side does. I called back the next day and was told that they see the transaction and was waiting from something from Cub Cadet to show everything was good. No problem, so couldn't get it that day. I called back to the dealer on the day that it was supposed to be ready for pick up (according to the email from Cub Cadet). The gentleman told me that the lady hadn't let him know if authorization had been sent to them and she was on lunch break, but he would call back when she returned, that was about noon.

I still hadn't heard anything by 3pm and since they close at 5pm I called the customer service number on the Cub Cadet site to figure out the issue. The only thing the guy could tell me is "we can't see the issue so you have to go through the dealer", I asked to speak to a supervisor and he said he just talked to his supervisor "and they can't see the issue" talk to the dealer....

I didn't pay $7,800 to the dealer. "I Paid it to you" so if a customer that paid you money has an issue don't pawn it off to someone else. Ensure that your customer's experience is satisfactory from beginning to end, not just after you collect payment from me.... What should have happen is someone from Cub Cadet should have reached out to the dealer to find the break in communication and resolve the issue there.... Or the finance lady at the dealer should have called instead of waiting for something that's obviously not coming. Well after talking to Cub Cadet I reached back out to the dealer who ensured me that he would call me back before the end of the day to let me know what was going on... Crickets...They are now closed for the day cause it's after 6pm and I still haven't heard anything back from them, and worst of all still no $7,800 mower that I already paid for.

Original review: July 28, 2020

Frame Design Flaw. Steel is not thick enough on the front frame assembly. 3 months old and it cracked completely in half and broke all the welds. 30 days have gone by without answers from Cub Cadet regarding warranty. I understand things break down but there but not like this on a machine with only 90 hours.

Original review: July 26, 2020

Cub Cadet blade spindles are sealed preventing lubrication. Catastrophic failure is eminent by design. A very poorly engineered product. ALL cutting decks require seasonal lubrication for smooth operation and reliable dependability. Our government should really start regulating manufacturers products in order to protect consumers from this kind of "junk". To Cub Cadet engineers: Really? I mean come on. This is negligence at its worst regarding engineered quality. People deserve better for their hard earned money. This "ain't" right!

Original review: July 21, 2020

I own a 3 year old ProZ 500 professional series mower used for our residential property. We have had the mower professionally serviced every year at a certified Cub Cadet dealership and have less than 250 hours on the machine. We take impeccable care of our mower and expected to get a quality product built to last. That's not what we got. Every year we have had issues with fuses needing to be replaced, a minor thing but still a nuisance. This year, we had it serviced and after mowing one time the next time the left lever went out. Per the service center the transmission hydraulic pump is bad which they said "should never happen". We are 2 months outside of the warranty and service said we should call to try and have it covered because it is such a major part and should not fail.

We spoke to Cub Cadet's representative who was rude, condescending and basically said it is outside warranty so too bad. This is a major part failure that will cost almost $1500 to repair. If this fails after 235 hours how is this "professional series" meant to be used if someone wanted your product for a lawn business or a very large property, it's not. So what I gather is they build a poorly crafted machine, not meant to last and then don't stand behind your product. Frankly, this is why people don't buy American products. My neighbors with Kubota mowers aren't having these issues. They have great mowers and apparently good customer service. I will never buy a Cub Cadet again and wouldn't recommend one to anyone.

Original review: July 6, 2020

I ordered parts for my ST-100 string mower and after several weeks I was contacted by someone who told me that he received my order by mistake but he called and let the company know what had happened. I waited a couple of weeks to see if the company would fix the problem on their own. No surprise, the did not. Customer service is only available Mon-Fri 8:30 to 5:00. I’m in Washington state so with the time difference that means that they close by 3:00. I started calling them at 10:50 am and waited on hold for an hour before I was disconnected.

So I called back and waited 1.5 hours before I was disconnected again. While on hold a recording said several times that I could also contact them online. I went online and requested a chat- I was told there were 58 people head of me so I waited 2.5 hours for my turn. Them the live agent told me that they couldn’t help me (I had to call in) and when I tried to object to just being dismissed after 2.5 hours, the agent disconnected me. I’m back on hold again with my phone. I first started waiting on hold at almost 11:00 and it’s now almost 2:00 and I am still on hold. All this because they made a mistake. So I either get nothing for my $50 order or I give up a whole day on hold. I am very dissatisfied.

Original review: June 25, 2020

Came brand new with front fender broken and a bent blade. It had scuff marks all over it. I was able to buff out most of that. But how am I supposed to cut grass with a blade bent over an inch. The busted plastic is also very aggravating.

Original review: June 16, 2020

Placed an order on 6/5 by phone, paid at that time. Did not get a receipt or confirmation but CC was billed. Contacted on 6/11, after 2 hour hold, for tracking info, it was not shipped yet and I was billed a second time on this date. After another 2 1/2 hour hold I got someone on the phone that said "it was delivered today and left at your door by USPS". This was a fabrication, as I know it was not. I was outside in my garden all day including the time of said delivery. He stated he was "going to confirm my information" and put me on hold AGAIN. I held for another 30 minutes then I get an automated voice ask me to "rate this customer service call" so essentially he hung up on me.

I called back and held on another 1 hour and also went online at the same time and tried to get through their "live chat". I was number 40. During the initial setup for the live chat it asked me a few questions, one being my order number. When I put my order number in it said it was "cancelled". Imagine my surprise, that not only have I been billed for an item twice, it has been cancelled without notification! The only time I received an email is from the 6/11 conversation when I had the rep stay on the line until I received the receipt and confirmation from 6/5. I would say stay as far away from this company as possible, I can not imagine if I needed a part how long it would take to get help.

Original review: June 7, 2020

I ordered a lawnmower from Cub Cadet and a few days later received a suspected spam email from a Philip F. that said “YOUR ORDER FOR ** HAS BEEN CANCELLED DUE TO LACK OF INVENTORY. PLEASE CALL 800-269-6215 WITH ANY QUESTIONS ref:**.” When I googled the phone # it was for MTD Products who owns several brands including Cub Cadet. I could never get through on that number, and when I tried their chat, I was disconnected after a while. I eventually got a reply from contacting them on Facebook and they confirmed that my order had been canceled. Why would Cub Cadet advertise a particular lawn mower on their site and give me a confirmation if they didn’t have that item available?

Original review: May 22, 2020

Bought a riding mower, 4/24/19. Kohler engine. It has about 18 hours on it, and a full tank of gas leaked out of the carb all over the garage floor. You can NOT get a real person anywhere, tried the online chat, it doesn't work, no link opens. Tried typing in my zip code, it gave me a result in Texas (3 times). I live in Pennsylvania. I'm an older woman, no truck. I can't even take this anywhere. What good is a 3 year warranty when there's no one to contact? I will never buy another Cub Cadet, and will not shop at Tractor Supply again, either.

I'll certainly make sure no one I know does either. 2 weeks, never a real person. The one phone # I got from Kohler (again, automated) for service, the man who answered said they don't even do this. I'm currently dealing Customer Solution from Tractor Supply. The girl on the phone seems great. I hope she can get somewhere. Why didn't they give me this # 3 weeks ago instead of pushing me off????

Original review: May 11, 2020

I purchased this mower on 05/01/2020 and it was delivered on 05/06/2020. I have been trying to reach CubCadet for over a day now, to return this mower. This is a very rough riding mower, my husband's back hurts today after mowing our yard. I cannot get anyone to answer the phone. Any help would be beneficial.

Original review: April 29, 2020

Bought a brand new zero turn in May 2019. Used it one season and stored it in the shed for one month. In April 2020 it started running rough after cutting the yard a few times so took it in for repair. They claim it’s bad gas and motor needs rebuilt, this company is horrible and the lawnmower never had any gas sitting without additive in it. I cannot believe such a big company does not stand behind their mowers. Will never buy another piece of their equipment and what is the point of a warranty if they will throw blame everywhere but themselves on a brand new machine.

Original review: April 22, 2020

When I placed this order, I was told a certain number of days, we had to call 3xs and stay on hold for over 4 hours total to finally be transferred to someone that could help us with our delivery. (That should have been my first sign.) After receiving the piece, my husband realized he had ordered the wrong one. That you couldn't use attachments with it. So I looked the company back up and it clearly states you have 14 days to return new or lightly used equipment, keep in mind we didn't use, but we did put gas in it.

After the 3rd day and many phone calls a supervisor Phil got on the phone and says when you google Club Cadet they don't have anything to do with what it says about the return policy. I own a company and I know that each company can monitor what is on the websites. After arguing for 15 min, his words, "You are stuck with the equipment, you and your attorney have fun...." and then hung up on me. Yes I am irate and yes my attorney will have fun with this. You have to honor your word.. Sad thing is they would have gotten a larger sale out of this, as we were going to purchase a small tractor... NOT NOW!!!!!! BUYERS BE WARE -- I WOULD NOT DEAL WITH THIS COMPANY.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

I have been mowing 2+ acres with a 2006 LT1550 for years, replaced the belt twice and steering bushing twice, nothing else other than regular maintenance and it still runs great. This past weekend I upgraded to the ZT2 54. We have no grass to cut yet, but the neighbors flower bed is tempting....can't wait to try it.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

Brought the 3 stage 420 cc Cub cadet snowblower 2 years ago, used hardly 10 hours in last two winters. So far the machine broke down over 7 times. Broken sheer pins, after 3 hours of use changed spark plugs, broken belts, broken auger control springs and serviced carburetor. Every time use the machine, it broke down. Poor quality parts.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2019

I place an order for ( 2 ) CC 800 mowers online on Friday November 22. I did not get and confirmation or even an email that confirmed my order. On Sunday I got an email saying "Thank you for your order – we appreciate your business. Your preferred dealer will contact you shortly regarding your order for delivery. If you have questions regarding your order, please contact the dealer". Two hours later I get another e mail saying 'We've Processed Your Request. Mid Atlantic Outdoor Equipment has processed your request. Please allow 7-10 business days for your cancellation to be processed. Please see below for details:

Request: Order determined to be fraudulent."

If Cub Cadet doesnt have the resource to to set up a team that calls, or email customers back for verification, I dont think it's appropriate for them to sell online. There are a ton of online businesses, who have put in place resources and even verification teams that call the verify the buyer's details after you place an online order. I called their customer service at 877-428-2349, and the rep I spoke to placed me on hold for about 4 mins, and she came back telling me her manager says they suspect a fraudulent activity and they can only sell me one, even for that one one, I should send them a copy of my ID and a copy of the credit card am using to purchase.

She suggested I go to Mid Atlantic Outdoor Equipment, at Davidsonville, Maryland to show my ID and credit card for purchase. There are two things that could have gone wrong. I think cub cadet shouldnt be allowed to sell online since they dont have the resource to do so or they profiled me because of my name. It's such a waste of time ordering your product online, and if cub cadet needed details, my order # is **.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

J & B Greene Company, Ronda, NC. Worked with Chris over the phone and purchased a Cub Cadet Zero Turn Mower. When I arrived to pick it up, it was ready, full of fuel, books complete, and check out was flawless. He took the time to review the entire mower and make sure I understood all the features. We had to rearrange items on our trailer to accommodate the mower and he and one of his guys helped until all was done and properly tied down. You won't get this service at a big box store. These folks are a statement of how a pleasurable shopping experience should be.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

I have Cub Cadet LTX 1040 for a few years. The engine, Kohler Courage 19 HP is horrible. The crankcase had a poked hole at the bottom last year, and I bought a short block to replace it, one year later, the same thing happened again. Three places on a side of the crankcase had cracks, which of course cannot hold any oil. When I shake the engine, I can hear a piece of metal making noise inside of the crankcase. I was wondering what it is so easy to be broken there.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

Cub Cadet used to make outstanding equipment, but this unit is terrible. Very flimsy construction and the most uncomfortable ever. Hydro drive awkward pedals. Seat too small. The parking brake does not work. The reverse button only works part of the time. I would not recommend this mower to anyone.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

I purchased a CC Xt42 one year ago and at 34 hours it failed due to a carb issue. I called CC and was told to take it to their authorized repair center. I delivered to Mitch’s Lawnmower Ship in TN where I was promptly told it was the carb needle and CC would not warranty it past 30 days. I was told I was using ethanol fuel which was the problem. I told him I was using the same fuel in 14 other pieces of equipment with no problem. That told me that if it was warranty then they’d would warranty it.

I picked it up a few days later and paid 230.00. I was unhappy! Called CC and was told their dealer makes the warranty determination. I asked what the warranty was on a carb and they told me it was fuel related so they can’t back it. Their warranty is a sham! Deny seems to be their mantra! Neither the company, Home Depot or their service center showed even the slightest interest in standing behind the product. I would not recommend buying a CC product!

Cub Cadet Company Information