2. Homeowners
  3. Riding Mowers

3.8/5 (573 ratings)

About Cub Cadet

Cub Cadet engineers, designs and builds outdoor power equipment using high-quality components sourced locally and globally. Through a dedicated and extensive network of dealers and retailers, Cub Cadet delivers a full line of high-performance power equipment and services that cover all aspects of grounds care for professionals and homeowners. Its products include four-wheel-steer zero-turn riders, lap-bar zero-turn riders, utility vehicles, lawn and garden tractors, specialty turf products, battery- and gasoline-powered handheld and chore products, snow blowers and more. Based in Valley City, Ohio, Cub Cadet is recognized worldwide for its legacy in engineering excellence and its dedication to designing for the people who depend on the company's equipment.

Cub Cadet Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cub Cadet?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cub Cadet?

Original review: Nov. 25, 2019

I place an order for ( 2 ) CC 800 mowers online on Friday November 22. I did not get and confirmation or even an email that confirmed my order. On Sunday I got an email saying "Thank you for your order – we appreciate your business. Your preferred dealer will contact you shortly regarding your order for delivery. If you have questions regarding your order, please contact the dealer". Two hours later I get another e mail saying 'We've Processed Your Request. Mid Atlantic Outdoor Equipment has processed your request. Please allow 7-10 business days for your cancellation to be processed. Please see below for details:

Request: Order determined to be fraudulent."

If Cub Cadet doesnt have the resource to to set up a team that calls, or email customers back for verification, I dont think it's appropriate for them to sell online. There are a ton of online businesses, who have put in place resources and even verification teams that call the verify the buyer's details after you place an online order. I called their customer service at 877-428-2349, and the rep I spoke to placed me on hold for about 4 mins, and she came back telling me her manager says they suspect a fraudulent activity and they can only sell me one, even for that one one, I should send them a copy of my ID and a copy of the credit card am using to purchase.

She suggested I go to Mid Atlantic Outdoor Equipment, at Davidsonville, Maryland to show my ID and credit card for purchase. There are two things that could have gone wrong. I think cub cadet shouldnt be allowed to sell online since they dont have the resource to do so or they profiled me because of my name. It's such a waste of time ordering your product online, and if cub cadet needed details, my order # is **.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

J & B Greene Company, Ronda, NC. Worked with Chris over the phone and purchased a Cub Cadet Zero Turn Mower. When I arrived to pick it up, it was ready, full of fuel, books complete, and check out was flawless. He took the time to review the entire mower and make sure I understood all the features. We had to rearrange items on our trailer to accommodate the mower and he and one of his guys helped until all was done and properly tied down. You won't get this service at a big box store. These folks are a statement of how a pleasurable shopping experience should be.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

I have Cub Cadet LTX 1040 for a few years. The engine, Kohler Courage 19 HP is horrible. The crankcase had a poked hole at the bottom last year, and I bought a short block to replace it, one year later, the same thing happened again. Three places on a side of the crankcase had cracks, which of course cannot hold any oil. When I shake the engine, I can hear a piece of metal making noise inside of the crankcase. I was wondering what it is so easy to be broken there.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

Cub Cadet used to make outstanding equipment, but this unit is terrible. Very flimsy construction and the most uncomfortable ever. Hydro drive awkward pedals. Seat too small. The parking brake does not work. The reverse button only works part of the time. I would not recommend this mower to anyone.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

I purchased a CC Xt42 one year ago and at 34 hours it failed due to a carb issue. I called CC and was told to take it to their authorized repair center. I delivered to Mitch’s Lawnmower Ship in TN where I was promptly told it was the carb needle and CC would not warranty it past 30 days. I was told I was using ethanol fuel which was the problem. I told him I was using the same fuel in 14 other pieces of equipment with no problem. That told me that if it was warranty then they’d would warranty it.

I picked it up a few days later and paid 230.00. I was unhappy! Called CC and was told their dealer makes the warranty determination. I asked what the warranty was on a carb and they told me it was fuel related so they can’t back it. Their warranty is a sham! Deny seems to be their mantra! Neither the company, Home Depot or their service center showed even the slightest interest in standing behind the product. I would not recommend buying a CC product!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

Ordered a ZT-1 42" mower through Home Depot. They said one was in stock at a store about 30 minutes away, so I assumed that was the one I would get. Nope, took 2 weeks to ship one from Tennessee (I'm in Oregon). Finally gets here, hook-up battery, adjust seat, put some gas in it and it fires right up. Mow for less than 10 minutes and the right-rear wheel falls off. 10 minutes. Threads on the studs were damaged so couldn't remount the wheel. I checked the lugs on the other side and, big surprise, they were loose too. This did not inspire confidence in this brand, what else is assembled wrong if the simplest job got messed up? I called Home Depot the next day and told them what happened and they were great about taking it back and sending someone out to get it, so I got that going for me. I will never, never take a chance on Cub Cadet again. Read the rest of the reviews, this is not a freak occurrence.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

Purchased a 50” Cub Cadet Lawn Sweeper from Home Depot. After three months of use the bag started to tear along the seams. I called Cub Cadet to get a free replacement bag. I was told no, the bag warranty is only one month. I tried my luck with Home Depot and I was rejected there too. They said there was nothing they could do since the sweeper was more than 3 months. I wish companies would stand behind the products they build and sell.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2019

I purchased a 2011 1042 Cub Cadet with a 19HP Kohler Motor at the beginning of 2012. It has shredded belts on deck continually and I have to replace the blade spindles about every 2 years, had to replace steering wheel bearing last year, now with less than 200 hours the motor started to smoke. Thought it was valve cover gaskets, so I replaced them, a month ago, but started to smoke worse this week and engine begin to knock. Stopped and looked. Oil blowing on muffler. Got to looking close. Motor has a crack from bottom of block, all the way to top at flywheel. I always thought Cub was good, but the body and deck on mine has continued to fall a part. And I always thought Kohler was top of line above Briggs/Stratton, but from what I have been reading online, I can see Kohler is producing JUNK. For $2000 for a mower, I really feel I got took to the cleaners.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

Bought XT1 Enduro 46 in. 22 HP V-Twin Kohler Gas Hydrostatic Front-Engine Lawn Tractor on July 26 2019. 1st mow the cover came off. The black engine cover that attaches to the top yellow cover had broken T connections, it's all plastic, but our local Home Depot replaced it without hesitation. The 2nd mow only made it around the house 1 time & heard a noise. Cut off mower and found the bar connecting the PTO had come out of the hole, there is nothing holding it in, because the belt is so loose it can slip behind or in front of the bar. This caused the pulley to rub, bad design flaw. Mower had 1.5 hours on it, had our other Cub same model for 7 yrs, only gave it to our daughter as she needed a mower. Luckily we were within the 30 day return window for full refund. No more Cubs for us.

Original review: July 24, 2019

I purchased a mower from the local Tractor Supply about a year ago. I have always kept up with the maintenance (spark plugs, air filter, oil change). My mower won’t start now. Brand new gas. Tech support told me it sounded like a carb problem and it wouldn’t be covered by warranty even though I took all step last year to properly store the mower and followed all instructions on getting it ready for this year. The tech was very rude and would talk over me every time I would try saying something and told me any cost incurred would be out of pocket even though I followed all their instructions. So what the hell is a 3 year warranty even good for if you ain’t going to fix anything. Nothing but lies from this company.

Original review: July 3, 2019

I bought a Cub Cadet LT46 riding lawn mower and the starter fails after 14 hours of use. I called the customer service dept. and they said "Too bad." "Take it in to get it fixed and pay for the repairs yourself". What a bunch of bull! I will never buy another Cub Cadet or anything else from the company that makes them MTD products.

Original review: June 25, 2019

I bought the LT 50" lawn mower on 5-15-2019 and I must say it is a great cutting mower when the cutting deck is clean. That's were the problem is, because of the design of the deck. It is a very shallow and there isn't enough void for the grass that is collected during cutting to not interfere with the blades. So after every cutting you have to get underneath and remove the grass that is packed onto the cutting deck which is over a 5 gallon of grass debris after every cutting. If you don't remove it each time your mower will not cut properly and will dog the motor down when cutting a typical lawn also leaving standing grass. So if you don't mind cleaning your deck after every time using it then this mower is for you. NOTE the grass I mow is dry not wet.

Original review: June 13, 2019

I bought my Cub Cadet from Home Depot in September of 2018. It was refurbished. I mowed my yard twice with it, when I got it out this year to mow it would not start. I tried to change fuel, fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs and battery. Still won't start. I personally find this to be a expensive piece of junk.

Original review: June 12, 2019

I just bought a new Walk behind, fueled it with new gas and filled it with pre-measured engine oil. I read the operator's manual and attempted to start it but to no avail. There is no choke, no primer pump, no fuel cutoff valve so starting should have been straight forward. I am returning it this weekend and don’t expect the dealer will take it back but I’m leaving it and walking away no matter how it goes. This has been so disappointing and an entire waste of two weekend days travelling to town to buy it, to the cottage to deliver it and all that to return it. Sigh.

Original review: May 30, 2019

Cub Cadet's online sales website is misleading and Cub Cadet's Customer Support is poor. On April 22, 2019, I purchased a Cub Cadet XT2 GX54D Lawn Tractor from Cub Cadet online. Being disabled, the advertised and promoted "FastAttach blade system for easy blade changes" was very appealing to me on their higher priced XT2 GX54D. With the Lawn Tractor shipping to California, at checkout their website automatically updated my order to an XT2 GX54D that met California "CARB standards" (California Air Resources Board regulates engine emissions). No mention anywhere on the Cub Cadet website or in the checkout menu or web pages that the model lawn tractor (still listed as an XT2 GX54D) that Cub Cadet sent to me would no longer have the FastAttach blade system!

Without information on Cub's website, there is no way to know that an easy blade change system would be deleted for "CARB standards"! The mower arrived April 30th and the moment I added gas and drove the ~700 lb tractor off its shipping pallet to evaluate it, I was informed by Cub Cadet Customer Support that it could not be returned and that they were unwilling to help in any way. Although I mailed a formal complaint May 2, 2019 to Cub Cadet, I have not received a response. Be wary of Cub Cadet's online sales as their website is misleading and deceptive causing a bait and switch of lawn tractor purchase while Cub Cadet's Customer Support will offer you minimal assistance.

Original review: May 20, 2019

The engineer that thought that putting all the operating foot controls on the same side should be terminated. It makes the mower extremely awkward to operate. The brakes pedal should be on the left side.

Original review: May 16, 2019

I bought my first acreage and the mower was my most exciting purchase to take care of my new property. I researched for hours finding the perfect mower, and spent the extra for the Kawasaki engine that everyone said was a must, as I wanted something with minimal maintenance. This thing now has 150 hours on it, and has been the worst piece of equipment I have ever owned. By 50 hours, the starter was toast, as well as the battery. (This thing always turned over hard, more on that later.) By 60 hours, the rear axle seal went out spilling fluid all over my garage.

By 100 hours - this is the thing that upsets me the most - the mower deck paint is coming off in flakes. The flaking off paint is exposing smooth shiny new steel underneath. There is absolutely zero adhesion! No primer or nothing. Of course the steel starts to rust right away exposed, and a rusted out deck will lead to all sorts of problems with the spindles. Spent big $$$ to have the deck sandblasted and powder coated properly before it becomes a problem. At 150 hours, I still cannot get the engine to turn over after engine is warmed up. Starter doesn't have enough "juice", it never has. So after some thought, I tried replacing all starter, ground and battery wires with a much heavier gauge as the factory ones are THIN. Sure enough, the starter now cranks over like a raped ape. Factory wires are nowhere near thick enough to support the amperage needed to turn over the V-twin.

I would like to take this opportunity to say SCREW YOU to the bean counters at Cub Cadet. The cheap plastic and cost saving measures using no paint prep and under engineered parts have turned your power company from something my grandpa was proud to own for 30 years into a throw away Chinese garbage mower company. You should really be ashamed.

Original review: May 10, 2019

Spend 3k on a brand new Zero Turn & it kept turning off. I call Home Depot where I purchased it & they said I couldn’t return it, that I had to go through warranty. I call Cub Cadet & they give me the number to some local company who fix machinery. This company was booked for 3 months. Do not buy from Home Depot!! & search for a different brand. John Deere I hear is good!

Original review: May 9, 2019

Only had our cub cadet since last October. It only has 14 hrs on it and has been kept in the barn all winter, and this spring it ran one time and wouldn't start anymore. We took it back to Tractor Supply where we purchased it from and it's still under warranty so they sent it off for repair now Cub Cadet is saying the engine is locked up. How can that even be unless it was a bad mower to begin with. They are also saying now that the flywheel is rusted. They seem to be giving us the runaround and trying to get out of the warranty. We only used it a few times since we bought it and like I said it was stored in the barn for the winter.

Original review: May 8, 2019

I purchased my $3K zero turn mower at Home Depot. After 3 hours of use, the right side drive started making very loud clunking noises. I called Cub Cadet and they said to take it to one of two repair facilities in town. Both places were booked up for over two months and wouldn't accept the mower. I returned to Home Depot, where I purchased it, and they wouldn't allow me to return in (I've had it for 7 days!). Home Depot suggested that I purchase another one from them, that way I would always have one if the other had to be repaired. I found a repair facility 90 minutes from my home and took it there. They said it would be several weeks before they could look at it. I called Cub one more time to see if they could do anything to speed this up and they said NO. I would not buy another Cub Cadet. I would not purchase a mower through Home Depot.

Original review: May 7, 2019

I bought my Cub Cadet Zero Turn mower new and will never buy another. The screws and bolts are not tight and the parts are damaged before you know they are loose. The zero turn arms came loose and lost some of the parts. Valve cover screws came loose and lost three screws and a mess of oil in yard, had to replace both valve cover gaskets. The muffler manifold bolts came out of one side and destroyed the muffler. The rear motor mounting bolts fell out and not sure what damage that did to the drive train. And the list goes on!!! Do not buy a Cub Cadet zero turn mower....

Original review: April 30, 2019

I purchased a Cub Cadet riding lawnmower/tractor. I used it once to cut a small patch of lawn. When I pulled it out to use it again a week later, it sputtered and refused to start. Checked the battery, it was fine. Called customer service and was told to take it to an authorized repair shop. The nearest one was 1st minutes away. Took it in and they had it for 6 weeks. Was told it was the carburetor and that it was not covered under the warranty. I had only owned it 3 months, 6 weeks of that it was in the shop! Got it home after paying the $400 repair bill and used it once on a small patch to test it, parked it in the garage, pulled it out a week later and it won't start again! We have a $1200 paper weight! Would never recommend this product. Corporate was not helpful and it was next to impossible to find a repair shop that would deal with this brand.

Original review: April 20, 2019

26 hours use 3 new belts and belt fell off 33 times. Dealer says machine is ok. Nothing wrong. Cub Cadet should be put out of business. Thousands of complaints on the same problem all over the internet.

Original review: April 19, 2019

My 70-year-old father bought this and has had NOTHING but problems with this. Replaced parts after parts and nowhere to grease parts. LEMON! Don't buy! You cannot even grease transmission. Disappointed with this purchase.

Original review: April 10, 2019

LGTX 1050 mower. The company didn't care. Called them because I was getting screwed by the dealer. I was mad and cub cadet representative hung up on me!! Dealer delivered it with with burned out wiring. Ordered new wiring, came and cut out new wiring and spliced it on. Told me he would replace new wiring harness but didn't finally came to pick it up again and fixed it then got it home. It was never the same leaked oil. Took it to another dealer. They told me Eng had not been put together. Right gasket was not put in right. 3 throttle cables were put on which they did not warranty because they had not made the engine. Bought a new Troy-Bilt weeder which I didn't know MTD had bought out at the time. Had trouble starting it since it was new. The pull cord does not retract. Have to tap shaft with a hammer for it to work. I will never, never buy another product from this company ever again. Their products are all the same.

Original review: March 26, 2019

These Cub Cadet 50” are good mowers overall. This is the LTX1050 and a few years old now. The side chute broke early on, the bagger assembly is unique to the 50” and 54” and is $500 no matter where you buy it from. The engine is good although bottom crank seal began leaking after about 30 hours. And the hydrostatic trans is noisy and leaky too. The much cheaper MTD that I had previously seems better when price and cost of ownership factor in. I thought red was an expensive color but yellow has a high cost too.

Original review: March 22, 2019

Bought brand new for $2800. Has trouble starting. Have to pour a little gas to the carburetor. Blades are too thin and wear out fast. Control arms are out of alignment even after adjusting them. I just spent 2 hours trying to fix this issue to no avail. The springs attached to the arms are incredibly hard to put back on. First you must attach a heavy gauge spring with a really small opening to a hook which is almost impossible to reach due to the small opening to install.

I got it hooked ONE time using a coat hanger to find that it is 2" below the hole for the bolt. Again the gauge of the spring is too hard to stretch. There is no way to leverage. I gave up and now have no mower. The spark plugs and oil filter are hard to reach as well. Very poor engineering and design. Go with a different brand and save yourself a lot of time, money, and stress!!!

Original review: March 18, 2019

I have had the lawn mower for three years, and am more than pleased with it. The first year I had it the mice got into it, which was not the problem of the machine. My dealer picked up my machine for a minimal charge and repaired it for a very reasonable fee. I wouldn't buy any other machine than what I have and it would be through a dealer with service.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I purchased the LT1050 in the spring of 2005. It has been a great Mower. Still has the original tires. Replaced the belts twice and a steering bushing once. Not bad in 14 years. Still cranks and runs like a champ! Thank you Cub Cadet. Joe in Boiling Springs, SC.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

Purchased the Cub Cadet CC30H mower from a local dealer near Cleveland, Ohio in October 2017. In July 2018 the Engine locked up due to a Catastrophic oil leak. The dealer found an oil leaked however Cub Cadet will not replace the engine. Cub Cadet argues that an oil leak is not an manufacturing defect and is the responsibility of the owner. The oil sprayed out while the mower was in use. The cost of a replacement motor is $1100, I paid $1400 for the mower. Ouch $1400 down the drain. Think twice before you purchase this mower.

Cub Cadet Company Information