2.86/5
Based on 22 reviews that contain star ratings

Need a good stair lift company?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

22 AmeriGlide Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Called in and learned that we could use two straight stairlifts on our L-shaped staircase instead of the $12-20,000 quotes we received from other companies. The total price we paid for two stairlifts was under $5,000. Huge savings, and my husband and I really appreciated the rep steering us in this direction.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Excellent, definitely the most affordable. My in-laws are moving into our home and we needed to have a stair lift installed to help them reach the downstairs area where they will be living. We had a few companies come out and give quotes. One was over $3000, and the other was over $4000. AmeriGlide gave a quote over the phone with and without installation. We opted for installation and only paid $2432.

Get expert buying tips about Stair Lifts delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

Overall for the price paid, I expected a system that was a little more refined, a lot of the components come together like an amateur cobbled this thing together in their garage to make it work. After installed it does work and seems to be adequately sturdy for its purpose. My lift arrived with the following problems: 1) Final Limit Error - I immediately called my sales rep Danny ** for assistance and he quickly transferred me to parts, which went straight to voicemail. I left a message and now, 2 days later still no response. Apparently once they get your money they're out of the customer service business and you're on your own. Lucky thing I'm a retired electronics tech and they do provide a wiring diagram. I found the problem with adjustment of the Safety Gear Limit switch, not sure what that switch does, it's attached to a bunch of levers and springs, I adjusted it until the error disappeared.

2) I was missing the fused link that you are suppose to connect between the batteries, I fabricated one. 3) The lead that they included to connect the last battery to the power switch was too short, I fabricated one of them as well. 4) A big gouge in both halves of the rail, the gouge on the top rail is cosmetic, but the gouge on the bottom rail was on the side of the rail which interfered with the passing of the carriage assembly. I had to use a flat file to smooth out the guide roller opening to allow smooth passage past that point.

5) No hardware was sent to attach the upper rail end cap, I took a screw out of the bottom cap and matched it at the hardware store. Wouldn't you know, apparently the two rail sections I received are from different extrusions. The holes for the upper cap are larger in diameter than the bottom rail, a second trip back to the store for some thicker screws.

6) The power leads from off of the power supply that you are suppose to connect to the rail already have the connectors crimped onto the wires. Pretty interesting when you are suppose to thread this end of the wire through the cable gland on the rail, but it is physically impossible to do that with the connectors already on the wire. I had to cut them off, back to the hardware store for connectors and install new connectors after the wire was threaded through the gland.

7) After getting this thing to finally work, It would not charge. So I had to take it all apart again (3rd time) only to troubleshoot it down to a blown 7.5A fuse on the motherboard, a blown fuse on a tested unit, tested by NP on 23/3/17, notice the date of 2017, I'll get back to that below. Another trip to the hardware store for a fuse and everything seems to work. 8) Well almost... The remotes do not seem to work, no documentation other than how to mount them to the wall is included. Not an important feature for me anyway.

As I mentioned my sales rep was Danny **, he was the most helpful person up until I paid. Let me explain: I needed this lift installed before my mother arrived to live with us. He assured me I would have it delivered on the 13th, I was leaving on the 17th. I confirmed with him on 2 additional dates and got the same answer.

Now shipping from North Carolina to my location is 5-7 days ground via any carrier including freight. So on the 10th I again inquired about shipping, got the same answer. So when it didn't show up on the 13th I call again and now all of a sudden I'm not going to get it in time. This was when the big storm hit NC, but this thing should have shipped the week before to be on time. I had to depart to move my mother, and it was sitting here waiting when we returned, but with all the problems I had getting this thing up and running (see comments above) it took 3 days before my mother could use it. She was confined to the upstairs for 3 days because I had to carry her up the stairs and she did not feel safe being carried.

Take everything that Danny ** tells you with a grain of salt, he's just into getting your money. I purchased a used Horizon unit, he told me that they didn't have any used units in stock and that I would be receiving a new unit... Even better. But did you notice they inspected by date on the used unit I did receive? March 2017? Yep, not in stock since 2017! I received what I paid for, kind of, but just don't like being lied to. I do have buyer's regret not due to the quality of the lift, but due to the lack of customer service. Be prepared to troubleshoot and fix this thing yourself, you'll be on your own once you've paid. If you think that will be an issue for you, then you should shop somewhere else.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

To buy the $3895 dumbwaiter became $5,487 after shipping and taxes. Website suggested easy installation and originally planned to install the dumbwaiter. The instructions proved this isn't a DIY project. Then, there is the state permit and inspection. Hired AmeriGlide in Marietta to install... $2,429. Under $4K for a dumbwaiter sounds great, but by the time the electrician is paid, doors are bought, installed and finished, plan for a minimum of $9,000 for a dumbwaiter, not counting the framing for the shaft. AmeriGlide, Marietta is a independent company. They do not warrant their installation past the 1st month (even if the house is vacant and the dumbwaiter hasn't been used). Our first problem with the locking mechanism (they provided and installed) required pre-agreement to pay them for their service.

Original review: May 24, 2018

If you are in need of a stairlift chair for your loved one, take my advise and use a different vendor! AmeriGlide is only after the sale and the experience we had with them was enough to make me write my first review ever! I was VERY specific about the space this chair was going in as it was a unique area.The sales snake was very reassuring that what we were purchasing would function perfectly fine in the space. I literally cannot get into my home if the chair is down, and there is a 13" track right in the middle of a walkway. And AmeriGlide DOES NOT CARE that they sold us a chair that does not work in our home. We are now stuck with a few thousand dollar chair that is going to end up causing more grief than help.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AmeriGlide?

Original review: May 22, 2018

This company WILL NOT respond to problems... If you purchase this stairlift you cannot get service, you cannot get parts. They promise call back and WILL NOT CALL BACK... The sales dept is very good, after you purchase, you are left hanging and in my area no one will service them. I can service the unit, however I cannot get parts. I am now MAKING the parts to rebuild the unit. If this does not work we will SCRAP the Horizon... We have had the Horizon for 18 months and are considering buying an Acorn and throwing this one in the dumpster.

Original review: May 16, 2018

We purchased a Horizon Platinum stair lift. It is advertised that it can be self - installed. We had a professional computer technician install this. He found the motherboard was defective. It took 2 1/2 weeks and apx 7 calls to receive it. Now the safety overrides read the stairs themselves as obstacles so it stops at every step. No one at AmeriGlide will return my calls. This was a huge mistake for an elderly couple on a limited income.

Original review: April 14, 2018

Bought a new AmeriGlide Stair Lift for our Lodge and had it installed in September of 2014. Had the technician out one time for a minor problem and got a great response while under warranty. After the warranty expired the service and response has been the worst I have ever had to deal with. The chair stopped charging. Called AmeriGlide (800-790-1635) and was transferred over to repair. The Manager said he would locate a repair technician and call me back the next day (September 2017). Next day never came. Called again, repair manager said he would call back the next day, next day still has not come. Called back a third time, when transferred to the repair manager, phone call was sent to voicemail. Have never gotten a call back from this company.

Found a Harmar Technician who agreed to come out and look at the stair lift. He called AmeriGlide and told me he got the same response plus they actually laughed at him when he asked if he could order parts. AmeriGlide said they would sell him parts if he became a repair technician for them. This stair lift was used once a month on average for three years before it stopped charging. Had batteries checked and they are good. It seems to be in the contact points.

Original review: April 12, 2018

The submittal drawings for my vertical lift were very amateurish and contained errors. The product is OK but won't work as advertised. Tech "support" is a joke. If it's not answered on their website the phone bank can do nothing but bounce you from one person to another until you give up. If you're looking for a free lift to a deck this will probably work. Don't try to build it into a shaft or exceed about 4' in height unless you're willing to re-engineer the product.

Original review: March 8, 2018

I received a defective Acorn stairlift 19 days after ordering. I had to replace a wire from the battery to the switch because it was too short to connect. The pinch bolts had no nuts so I had to supply. When I ran the unit down the line the pinch bolts were too long and busted the back plate off the unit. The seat wobbled like a teeter totter because the shims were not there. I called service and was shuffled around to someone who said he was not supposed to talk to customers but said he had seen this problem before and would send parts to fix. The parts came 17 days later. It took one month of non-returned calls and emails after I returned the unit to get a refund. The refund was 61% of the purchase price as AmeriGlide claimed the unit was packaged improperly and was damaged in shipping. I had packed the unit in the same original boxes with the same original packing material in which it came to me.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I bought a stairlift from AmeriGlide last year that no longer works. I have called them four times in the last week to get someone to come to the property to fix it. I leave messages, write emails, login to chats, and no one ever calls me back! The numbers they list on their website for authorized repair don't work. What a horrible company. I suggest you buy your stairlift from someone else. These people obviously don't know how to run a business.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I purchased an AmeriGlide Horizon Outside Lift. Well their person that installs in this area came out Sunday to install. He started then said to me, "I can’t install this cause the rails are misaligned." So Monday I call the company and got a hold of the salesperson. Sent him the pic so he could see what was going on. He said he was sending it to another department. Here it is Friday and still nothing. I would recommend people not do business with them.

Original review: March 17, 2017

Purchased a chairlift and the installer couldn't install due to non functional or mountable equipment. The company insisted for one month new equipment would be installed. After one month they indicated more money would be required to replace the equipment. This company is a scam. Senior citizens beware. When posting a review on their website a pop up box came up indicating the review would need to be evaluated prior to posting on website.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2016

We shopped a lot for a stairlift we could afford. Had Acorn come out and they were way too expensive. Looked at Stannah and they were even higher. Narrowed it down to Bruno and AmeriGlide and we are very happy with our choice. Had the stair lift in now for about 6 months and it operates flawlessly. Best price, prompt delivery to the day they projected, and fairly easy to install. Instructions could use some improvement but along with the online video they work.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2016

I felt very secure that I would not fall out. It has a guard on it so I feel I wont fall out. I can control the speed of the lift so I can slow it down if I think its moving too fast. I can adjust it to my weight, make smaller or larger for my size so I can fit comfortable in the lift chair for my ride up or down. So I go for a safer ride up or down the stairs. It will turn easily in the direction I want it, and I still feel safe moving it. Its a very good value because it helps me with my mobility. I feel safe in it. It gets me up to where I need to go with no problems. The price was reasonable. I feel I can do more things for myself now that I have it. So to me its well worth it.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2016

It was a pretty good electronic stair case and it did its job well. It got me up and down with no problems at all for me and I liked it tons. I am sure that it was a standard speed lift and that it got me where I was going quick enough that I didn't feel slow where I was going. It went well around the corner of my stairs that I take them up the stairs at night. I thought that it is worth every penny that I paid for it and I feel that I got it for a cheaper value that I felt I should have paid for it at full price for the machine. It is for the full machine that it goes that far overall.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2016

I need to go up and down the stairs so I use the stairs lift and get up and down the stairs. Most houses have a lot of stairs and I have trouble with my knee walking around. The stairs lift works for me to get around the house and if you use a wheelchair I would use it. The professional come to install it and show you how to work it. It help you when you are in a wheelchair to get around in the house. It cost a lot of money but your insurance company should be able to cover the cost. I asked my doctor about it and he got a insurance company with me and they were able to get it installed.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2016

The product was sturdy. I never felt the quality as cheap or bad. With it being sturdy it always felt strong. It also felt very secure. I never felt as though I would get hurt using the product. This product was very very adjustable. Though I am very short this product always it fitted my needs very well. As a key factor was the product being very movable and not too heavy. The product swiveled very well. Though it wasn't as swivel capable as others, it did a good job. This product never let me down. It's very durable. It looks nice and never failed to move as though brand new. The product is a ten out of ten from me. The product was a nice color. Did not scratch easily. I knew the product was good before I bought it and still believe so.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2016

I made sure before it was installed for my loved one that it was done right and had them to ride on it. It turns out it was well equipped for my loved one. It was adjusted for all body types but it seems that my loved one doesn't have any complaints or concerns because the space is great. It seems to be able to turn the way for my loved one. So far it's great for them so I say the swivel ability turns great. The value of the product is so worth it if you have a loved one that's needing the product. We're very pleased and my loved one love it and tells everyone about it. I have to say it's worth every penny and seeing my loved one smiled again.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2016

Padded seat, foot rest. Easy to glide up and down the stairs. Had a seat belt to keep you in place while going up and down the stairs. Had a slow enough speed going up and down. Seat was big enough where you wouldn't fall out of it. It was easy to adjust the seat up and down depending on your height. You could adjust the speed how fast or slow you wanted it to go. It swiveled at a 360 degree angle... The seat adjusted up or down for different height people. It was one of the cheapest ones they had but was the best one for the price too. They even worked with me on it. They let me put a down payment on it and make monthly payments on it as well.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2016

Well you won't fall out. More dangerous not to have 1. Less stressful for me. Easier to go up and down stairs. I got one because my balance is not as good as it use to be - price of getting older. My seat can be adjusted to fit me real comfortably - just relax and enjoy the ride. The seat is nice and soft like sitting in an overstuffed chair. You can turn it in all direction whichever makes you comfortable. Getting the lift was the best choice I ever made. I paid close to 5000.00. Installed everything. It was worth it because I no longer have to rely on someone to help me. I can move around to different areas more freely. My chairs turns to go around my staircase.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2016

Purchased two stair lifts in May 2015. Had immediate problems. Lift is a new type all electric. The Rave. The upper stair lift extends into hallway and kitchen. Very unsafe. Mother is 85, just had hip replacement. She is petrified of it. It tilts. You have to kick the foot stand for it to move. Never worked properly. Installer very rude, says he doesn't answer questions just installs and is the only one qualified to install. Day one it wouldn't work. Sat for weeks before they tried to get it working, waiting for part. Company will only offer a different lift where the ramp is retractable for an additional $2000. Installer extremely rude. They also sent wrong seat, finally corrected that but not correct seat covers. Worst experience. Do not, repeat do not use this company. They appear to be insensitive to elderly and disabled.

AmeriGlide expert review by Shelley Webb

Ameriglide designs and sells accessibility solutions like home elevators, power lift recliners and stair lifts.

• High weight capacity for stair lifts: They offer a heavy-duty model which can support a person up to 500 pounds.

• Warranty: Their stairlifts are specifically designed for homeowner installation and have a 10-year warranty.

• Stair lift wireless technology option: Users can call the lift to the right floor using a wireless remote.

• Dependable & reliable home elevators: Ameriglide’s state-of-the-art industrial grade PLC technology and cable drum drive system are extremely dependable and reliable. The elevator’s aluminum materials resist corrosion and the warranty keeps you covered for up to three years.

• Custom-built products: An Ameriglide elevator can be completely custom built for your home’s space and décor. The customization includes finishes, materials and the drive system. Ameriglide also makes eight models of power lift chairs that range in price from $500 to over $1,000. Choose from two-, three- and infinite-position recliners in multiple colors and fabrics.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
    Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

AmeriGlide Company Information