Vizio

Compare TV Brands

Research top TV Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I imagine someone who tried to create a sound bar in the 1800's and I find myself considering purchasing theirs. The morons who created this had to be huffing paint thinner. Remote does not work if you're over 4 feet away. The bar doesn't turn on when you turn your TV on. When you turn soundbar on it doesn't even switch to the input you're trying to broadcast. When you get up off your couch and walk within 1 foot away to turn it on then change it to the correct input you still have to hit the volume button to get it to broadcast sound. In conclusion. I own a Vizio TV that works amazingly but I would never dream about purchasing another soundbar. It's like if a blind deaf and dumb kid was their primary engineer.

Where to start? After buying the Visio E55-D0 (50 something inch) realized that you can't access the menu function on it. 4 buttons on the TV itself, Power, Volume Up, Volume down, Input. The remote has play/pause, and buttons for volume and channel options, closed captions, and Cast option (more on that later), that's it. NO buttons for menu or settings, heaven forbid you want or NEED to go it to the menu options because let's face it, all electronics work as they should 100% of the time, RIGHT??? (that was sarcasm) This should have been the point to return it but I always give the benefit of the doubt, thought, "let's see what it CAN do".

To access the menu YOU NEED to use YOUR phone. Yes, you MUST use your phone to download the Visio Smart Cast app from Google Play, oh, and you NEED to sign up for an account from google if you don't already have one in order to download the Cast app from the site. This is the second problem I have with the product and it's the one that is 90% of the problem. After downloading the app and "pairing" the TV and the phone worked fine for a few weeks but then it would stop working, the app opens and the TV works fine it's just that ALL the buttons on the app are grayed out except for the power button but even if you press it, it won't do anything.

Called customer service and they helped me 'pair' again (as I am new to tech but learning for this reason), the app continued to NOT function, called again and they said that Bluetooth has an issue that keeps dropping the signal so they said 'pair' it using Wi-Fi, so I do but it keeps dropping (the signal) still. This would happen about every week or week and a half. I've had to re-pair this thing about 10 times now every time I kept thinking, 'well, since it's wi-fi the walls and such affect the signal so no big deal'. About the 10th time (now) I realize this is a P.O.S... This time I have an open case with customer service and will try to once and for all fix the issue or try to return or get a refund somehow. I doubt I can return as it's been almost a year.

The thing about this is UNLESS you return a product THE VERY FIRST TIME YOU SEE SO MUCH AS A LIGHT SCRATCH ON THE PRODUCT, you won't know the headache you will go through UNTIL you have already gone through all the functions to see if they work or not, but that takes TIME, and by that time your warranty has expired and you get a "take it to your nearest repair center because we won't help you for poo-poo now that your warranty is expired" from the customer service center. ALL THIS mind you for me 30's something that knows the bare minimum about troubleshooting tech and willing to learn (have my own laptop), but if you're an older person or are not tech inclined or a retiree just wanting to watch a good looking TV in his/her golden years...??? Then forget it!

Oh yeah, when I asked the Vizio Cust Ser worker why they don't have a menu button on the remote she said, "... well, people don't really use the menu button, they just use the basic functions but people rarely need to go into the menu..." WHAT??? Am I one of those rare people that need to use the menu? Is she right that MOST people don't need to access the menu functions? Whatever the case this is a lesson learned, THE VERY, VERY FIRST TIME YOU SEE SOMETHING WRONG WITH A PRODUCT, EVEN IF IT'S COSMETIC, RETURN, RETURN, RETURN THE PRODUCT!!!

Filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau regarding this as well. Video is randomly turning off while there is still audio. Owned for 1 year and 2 months. 1.20 - complained to Rashad in customer service asking for consideration to extend the 1 year warranty since it's just outside its time. Refused and given a local repair company contact. Complained to Better Business Bureau and received a phone call stating Vizio would pay for parts if I paid $135 for labor to local repair company. Wanted money upfront, apprehensively, I agreed to pay and got a phone call 4 business days later after I made another complaint to BBB.

2.2. TV repaired with local company. 2.6 TV still having the same issue. No refund. Complained again to BBB. Vizio offers me a non-remote TV that needs streaming to a smart phone or tablet. Declined offer. Vizio then offers one with a tablet for $600. The answer always seems to be more money. No honor in their product. Representative extremely rude and interruptive during the conversation.

I purchased a Vizio 46 inch TV for $800 (model M3D460SR) for my living room mainly as a decor about 3yrs ago from Sam's club and even added an extra 2 yr. extended warranty on it. And soon as my warranty ended my TV started to black out slowly and slowly until one day I had no image. I contacted Vizio headquarters and they say it was the back light of the TV that was damaged and that there was nothing they can do but offer me an insignificant discount. It's unashamed that this company manufactures TV that only has life for 3 years. Don't waste your money like I did buying their products.

I bought Vizio 70 inch Sept 24th 2016 at Costco for $1800.00 with extra warranty. We started having problems with the screen going black, so I called and was redirected to Vizio manufacturer and was told it wasn't the t.v. it was cable box which I knew wasn't the case so they said I needed to reset t.v. which I did and was told to call back if it happens again so now the 3rd time I've called and was told they couldn't fix it but would replace with a recertification t.v. which I immediately refused and the battle was on so after getting absolutely nowhere I called Costco and after explaining the situation to the Manager he agreed to exchange it for me, so buyers beware I will NEVER buy another Vizio again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vizio?

I purchased a 60 inch Vizio from Best Buy just over a year and a half ago. The left side of the TV went dark. Their customer service doesn't care, and said sounds like a defect. They do not stand by their product and told me I am out of luck. Then they proceeded to tell me they will give me a "discount" on a New TV. Their discount is non existent. It is the same price you would buy the TV new at any retailer. Why would I buy another Vizio when they break after a year. They just don't care, and the product is cheap.

TV purchased 3 years ago, and now it has no picture. Vizio does nothing to help. They could not care less. Don't get sucked in. They have a great picture for the price, but they're dead in no time. Vizio is the worst.

Vizio M80 LED TV. I purchased the TV and issues with apps on day one. I registered the tv for warranty at that time. I called after warranty was up to report that black clouds had shown up at the end of the warranty period. I believe the TV is defective and should have be involved in a recall program. They said they do not have any recalls for my model. The TV was 4000.00 and only lasted over 1 years. All of my other TV's over the last 30 years are still working and the newest and most expensive one looks like crap and is unwatchable. I called. They offered me a smaller TV for almost 3000.00. They no longer make my TV. Seems to me they stopped making my TV because they were defective. They should be made to buy back these lousy TV's.

I bought a 47 inch flat screen and paid $800.00 for it. At the 2 year mark, a dark horizontal band appeared in the middle of the screen, from one end to the other. Within a week of this happening and before I could get it repaired, the screen went completely black. Vizio gave me the name of a company that diagnosed the problem, at which time I was told that it would cost as much to repair the problem as to buy a new television. 7 years ago I purchased a 42 inch Toshiba which is in my bedroom and this TV had never had a single problem and works as well as the day I bought it. DO NOT BUY VIZIO! You'll be throwing away your money. Instead, buy Toshiba or Sony. These are products that have already proven themselves.

At first I loved this TV more than any other I have ever owned. It had the best picture quality I have ever seen. Then, after having it for about two years, without ever having moved it, a dark shadow appeared on the right side of the screen, and grew steadily over the entire thing until it now covers all but the tiniest part of the lower left corner. I will never buy another Vizio product, and I urge others to steer clear of this TV as well. It will lure you to buy at at the beginning, and then go bad after a little while, after you paid all that money. What a disappointing rip-off!

I bought a 55 inch Vizio smart tv. I did not have the tv for more than 1 yr 1/2. I call vizio and the tv back light went out. The sound was there. The pic was gone. I called and spoke to them concerning my tv. They said that the back light was out. They had me run some tests on the tv. After running the tests I have no sound and no picture. They said that it is nothing that they can do. But... they can sell me a tv for $400.00. I asked them why would I buy another tv from them? They can not help me with the one that I bought. I also asked them if I buy another tv and the same thing happens what would they do? He said that they would offer me another tv.

I also spoke to customer service. The man that I spoke to seemed like he did not care about my problem. It was I can buy another tv or I can buy a different name. Then he said that he was a manager??? What happen to the real customer service? I will never buy a tv from them. My son also had a problem with his back light after 2 years of having the tv. I was told that vizio was a good tv. Maybe it is and I had a bad experience (but the customer service needs to come up). Customer service try to listen, empathize, apologize, react. Put yourself in the customer shoes. If it were your tv how would you want to be treated?

Bought a Vizio 55 E-Series. After a year power light comes on and fades out. Called Vizio. Told me it would cost 400 dollars to fix without even looking at it. Obviously they know they have a problem with this model. Not giving them a dime. DON'T BUY VIZIO JUNK.

I purchased a 4K Vizio 43inch TV. After 20 years of having my Toshiba Cinemark series, I was talked into a new TV. (I wish I kept my old one.) Yes the new Vizio had a pretty dang good picture at first. Well it is now 6 months old and I have no picture. Except the ones on my I-phone that I took and sent to customer service. I tried to send (POP) proof of purchase and 4 different pictures multiple times to Vizio and they are not able to respond to them. So I will go buy another TV. Not like it's going to kill me but you betcha it will not be a Vizio. Buyer Beware. I've contacted the customer service several times, sent 10 pictures and now it's not worth my time. I'm sure that's what they wanted. Screw it. I'll go buy another TV.

I got my brand new Vizio TV large flat screen Sept 2014. By Dec 2016 the tv screen just started going black after watching tv for a hour, there is no way as much as this tv cost that it should go out. At first I was told it was power cord, which I replaced. That did not help, then I was told it was the cable box, which I replaced, and this did not work. What it comes down to is this is just a very bad tv product. Warranty expired, cannot find sales receipt. I am just at a loss.

DON'T BUY VIZIO TVS!!! I purchased a 50" Smart TV 3 years ago for $500 and it all of a sudden the picture stopped working. Called Vizio and had me do tell them what was wrong, and said it was the backlight, and to repair it would be $334. But since that was so much they could give me a discount on a new TV that is similar to what I have for $315.00-$400.00. Spoke to Customer Complaint Department and unfortunately there is nothing they can do for me. I have an old tube TV that is 15+ years old and is still working fine. Vizio will not get anymore of my money!

Vizio tv Model: D32h-C0 is a rather very poor product. Just around 14 months after getting this brand new electronic in Atlanta as a gift for Christmas 2015 it stopped working - it just won't turn on even after trying troubleshooting techniques (power cycling). I got this television in December and started using it in late February 2016.

Two months after using this product, which was on surge protector, I noticed that after a power-cut I would have to wait at least an hour for this television to come on again with power cycling. It continued like that with the shortest of power-cuts. A few weeks ago, there was another power outage and since that the television just stopped coming on. I unplugged for days and did my usual power cycling but unfortunately my attempts proved futile. Now I am about to take this television to a technician to see what can be done. I just never bargained for this! Poor poor product. SMH.

Do not buy from Vizio. Very poor product and worst customer service. 8 Months back I bought model D32-D1. It has an one year Warranty. 2-3 days back found some horizontal and vertical lines are coming when Power on. As required by Vizio I took a picture and send it to them but unfortunately they are deny for replacement. They are saying this line appeared because of physical damage but that is not true. It's a brand new TV not damage or broken physically - it's due to their poor quality. I asked them to inspection the TV in front of me and if that person find any damage then I will never ask for replacement but they are escape that option also. I have checked with others and surprise that some of my friends also have almost same experience. I'm very very disappointed in Vizio and will next time stick with Samsung or LG or other product but never ever will buy this poor Vizio product.

WE purchased the above TV on Black Friday, believing it was a traditional Smart TV. The salesman did not comment with a clarification when I said I wanted the VIZIO 50" Smart TV that was on sale. We got it home, set it up, tried to use the darn thing. Since it was before the holidays, we just watched t.v. in our bedroom. The few times I tried to use it, I had to call VIZIO. Finally, right after Christmas, I sat down and made a serious phone call and was determined to see what I was doing wrong. NOTHING. It just does not work. VIZIO, "unfortunately" can do nothing about it. It loses connection, the casting symbol appears on other apps... when it feels like it. In addition to the upgraded tablet I bought specifically to operate the TV, I now am having to run out and purchase a ROKU. What a huge disappointment. Now, after having read the reviews on VIZIO, I will never purchase another.

In Nov 2014 we purchased a 55" Vizio M522i-B2 Smart HD TV. It completely shut down Jan 2016, conveniently after the warranty was no longer in force. TV repairman stated it was the power supply, which again conveniently, Vizio is out of new parts for. Even with a new part it would cost 3/4 of our original purchase price to repair. Really? This is such a scam! We ditched the whole thing... Don't want other consumers to have problems with any "refurbished" parts from our set. If you purchase Vizio then you must not care about flushing your hard-earned money down the toilet!

My husband and I made the mistake of purchasing our first Vizio product. After receiving 3 shipping delays from their shipping company putting us over 4 business days max time past due, we were informed our TV was cracked. The shipping company told us Vizio could overnight us a new TV. We called Vizio and we're transferred to the "Executive Resolution" committee. What a joke. Instead of Vizio taking accountability the executive resolution staff member, Harley, proceeded to go on a tirade about how dare their shipping company speak on their behalf. Harley then proceeded to talk over me until "I understand in no way would I be getting a TV overnighted or even by this weekend."

Harley proceeded to talk down to me and even SCOLD my husband and I for not doing a better job understanding their process and paperwork required for this type of thing. Then after never hearing back from Harley in almost 24 hours, we were transferred to Jameson, part of the same team. Jameson proceeded to tell us we did not know how to count! That the TV was not actually late because I forgot to count the holidays in my calculation. I asked Jameson to help me count because I didn't understand how he was calculating 5 business days when it's been almost a month. He realized his error when he "counted aloud for me" and proceeded to say "sometimes mistakes happen!!!" That's it! No, "let's get this out to you right away" or apology.

What a joke this customer service is. They clearly cut corners on shipping, customer service and packaging. As of now (20 days later), we are still waiting on our TV, no tracking information is available, our credit card was charged and no sign of a TV. And the best part? Harley and Jameson are part of an "executive team" that reports to "no one else we can talk to." What a joke. Do not buy Vizio products. Unless you want to deal with hours of wait times, terrible customer service (the worst we have seen to date) and a good chance you'll be charged but never see your goods.

We purchased a 47 inch tv for $578.00 plus tax in 11/30/2013. It started turning dark in the corners so we took it in to a repair shop because it was past the 1 yr warranty. It ended up being the LED bar so that was a $125.00 cost. Brought it home and within a few months it started turning dark again. So we went to Walmart on 7/30/2016 and purchased another Vizio but a 50 inch and as of today 1/7/17 it's turning dark again so I called customer Service and because it's a 50 inch they will replace it with a refurbished TV (which I think is BS). So a 6 month old TV I get a refurbished one that to me is not right. I spent $548.00 plus tax on a brand new tv 6 months ago and I am getting a used refurbished TV. To me that not right at all. So as of now they will bring us a refurbished one within 10 days from 1/7/17 AND THAT WILL BE THE LAST VIZIO PRODUCT I WILL PURCHASE FROM THEM...

I contacted Vizio about tv. It developed a green spot on screen. They said to send photo but no matter how many I send they say they not good enough. I found out this is common practice with Vizio. Most people soon give up. This is not only illegal but just plain sorry. Please do not give up. I WILL BE GOING TO SMALL CLAIMS COURT. Vizio just refuses to honor warranty.

Vizio 42" E420i-AO - Shortly after warranty expired picture began to show a dark band thru the center. Within two weeks unit went completely black... Have several Vizio TV's and sound bars. VERY DISAPPOINTED with support by mfg to address issue that I discovered after researching- found many complaints from owners experiencing same issue on same model within roughly same ownership period. Resolution when contacting Vizio, "purchase new TV"... NOT acceptable. Vizio products are no longer on my shopping list.

I bought a 55" 4K TV on Cyber Monday from the Vizio website.They didn't send any email confirmations or order acknowledgment so I had to keep calling them for order status. Each time I verified all my info and email address, yet did not receive any emails. The TV arrived and was DOA out of the box. I called and was informed I had to take pictures and email them to Vizio. The next day I had to do it again to a new address and was told I was out of luck and that I must have broken it. What? I had just opened the box! Then they wanted me to take photos of the box and email them as well. I had to call them every day for a week to finally get someone who would admit the TV was defective. I reboxed the bad TV and UPS picked it up.

After a week Vizio told me they still hadn't shipped my new set so I cancelled my order and bought a new Samsung the next day. That evening UPS tried to deliver the Vizio they said hadn't shipped. This was without a doubt the most frustrating purchase I've ever made. Vizio makes it impossible to get an answer from its agents and nobody is on the same page. They were completely clueless on so many fronts it was ridiculous. I still have not received a single email or any documentation from Vizio. I was told they know about the problem and it would be fixed. I'm still waiting. I would NEVER recommend Vizio to anyone EVER.

We purchased this TV because we own two other Vizio TVs. We had this 60" TV for 1 1/2 years and then a large gray block area started on the left hand screen. Within a week another one started on the upper right part of the screen, I contact Vizio's customer service via an email and sent a picture of the screen. Within an hour they contacted me stating that their tech would view the email and get back to me. After that email another gray bar started on the right side and continued to connect with the first gray bar on the left. I contacted them again and we went back and forth for a few emails. In the end because my TV was out of warranty and I didn't purchase the extended warranty I was told my Vizio.

From Vizio: "I understand. Thank you for the info, however. Unfortunately, outside of our warranty, the cost for service in this situation would be beyond economical to complete. There is nothing further to troubleshoot with the unit directly, and in warranty, we'd proceed with service past this point. Outside of our warranty, you may still have coverage with an extended warranty, if purchased. Otherwise, if purchased with a credit card, you may have included extended warranty protection with that card on this purchase. You'd need to check with whichever provider holds that for verification. Alternatively, we can look into options towards a discounted purchase of another unit, if you wish. This to help ease the burden of the cost of purchasing a new TV, if not covered elsewhere. Thanks and have a great day!"

We have purchased a new TV and bought the extended warranty. It was NOT a Vizio and I refuse to ever purchase another Vizio product. This TV was $800 on sale and it should have lasted longer than 1 1/2 years.

Just bought a 70" and the rubber feet are crap... keep falling off. I called gave all the info. and held for 20 mins to be told to take a picture with the feet (stand), showing their logo, send it to them, wait for a email to tell me I can call back, call back and hold again to get my .20 cent rubber feet. The number of days this will take, just not willing to do. What the heck they think, you can't use them on other TVs, they are made different... Vizio sucks. Now I'm stuck with 2 of their TVs and awful customer service... GE or RCA or other brands from now on, no more Vizio period. When you buy something you are also paying for good customer service. I hate this company.

I just purchased a Vizio 70 inch flatscreen. We got it out of the box and plugged it in and the screen was turning black in the right side and had gray spots on it. My husband called Vizio to report the problem and rather than replacing the TV that was broken right out of the box, they told us they needed to return it. Very disappointed that they don't even stand by their products. I will never purchase that brand again because I know they don't care about their customers and could care less about selling a quality product, much less that it even works.

Do not buy from Vizio. Poor product. I did not realize it until further research but these TVs have a known issue of turning themselves on and off. Sometimes it happens frequently and other times not. I complained to Vizio and they sent a repairman even though it was out of warranty. I was happy with that but the repairman came and totally ruined the TV. Now I get no picture or sound. Vizio and the repair company called ITI could care less. They blame each other and I am stuck with a 900.00 TV that worked for 18 months. Spent hours on the phone with both companies and it is like banging your head against the wall. Just another consumer bend over and take it.

Just bought a Vizio 55 inch 4k ultra hd tv for an amazing on sale price of 339.97 with tax came out to $436 at costco. Bring it home safely and carefully with the help of my dad and everything seems fine for about a month. Then I notice some horizontal lines like a bad cable connection or screen issue and called Vizio. Vizio told me the issue is on the xbox channel and in order for them to open a service request, they would need to see the lines appear on the casting channel. (The lines last for about a few minutes after the tv has been off for a while).

So I quickly sign into my hulu account and cast a show and the lines are appearing but they disappear so quickly that it was hard to capture them on a photo. I took a live photo and captured the lines on the casting channel. Emailed the live photo to Vizio, and of course they can't view live photos. I say ok, I'll try again and do a burst of photos by holding the photo button on the iphone when I'm about to take a picture. Vizio has still refused to believe that their tv is the issue and blames it on my xbox or some other issue. So dumb. It's probably defected due to the sale price. I'm disappointed in Vizio and will next time stick with samsung or LG.

After reading other reviews, it appears I lucked out getting 16 months of use out of my VIZIO MSeries 4334 Class 4334 Diag LED 2160p Smart 4K Ultra HD TV Black. The speakers work great, and they've replaced the visual display with a calming rainbow pattern to ease my stress load. That I only got four months beyond the one-year warranty period cannot be a coincidence. OBVIOUSLY this was my first, and last Vizio product.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Originally sold exclusively in warehouse clubs, Vizio has emerged to become one of North America's top-selling TV brands, offering a wide range of LED-based LCD TVs and available at many major retailers. The company's UHD TVs are the first to include Dolby's high-dynamic range vision technology.

• LED zones: Superior picture quality is achieved by 16 to 72 (depending on the series) active LED zones that adapt to you to deliver brighter brights and blacker blacks.
  • Smarter TV: With a remote that has dedicated buttons for Netflix, Amazon and iHeartRadio and built-in apps and WiFi connectivity, Vizio takes Smart TV and makes it even smarter.
  • Ultra HD: 4K Ultra HD models have ultra-sharp 2160p resolution that deliver superior picture quality, as well as upscaling for those times you're not watching 4K content.
  • High-dynamic range: The Reference Series is available in 65 inch and 120 inch and comes in amazingly clear high-dynamic-range-enabled 4K Ultra HD, which is the benchmark for superior picture quality. With this TV, you will be ahead of the curve of the possible color spectrum.
  • Wide range of models: Vizio offers TVs in several series for different consumers, from basic models to their Reference Series that has top-of-the-line technology and a cutting-edge design.
  • Best for Movie and TV connoisseurs, bargain shoppers, home-theater enthusiasts and researchers.

Compare TV Brands