Westinghouse

Compare TV Brands

Research top TV Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Not much to say that hasn't been said on recent reviews of these products. Worked maybe 6 months then died. Made me go through hoops to start the claim only to find out that I pay for return shipping (across the country), would probably take 3-6 weeks, and would only send a like model after one was located?? If something breaks under manufacturer's warranty that I bought new I should get a new one if mine can't be repaired, all this trouble is not worth it and they know it. Also you have to put some blame on Best Buy as they are selling these garbage paperweights (STAND BEHIND WHAT YOU SELL). It's truly a shame that this is your typical business anymore. STAY AS FAR AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY AND THEIR PRODUCTS AS POSSIBLE!!!

TV during Sesame Street no sound even after doing a reset. No sound after 6 months. The TV purchase is under 1 year. After sending numerous emails, calling Best Buy where I purchased the TV, the manager was kind and sent me the pickup sheet with the price paid via email to send to Westinghouse. Then more emailing again of the back of the TV, etc. proof of purchase, finally sent email with information to send back the product.

Called the customer service replacement line and asked if I should send the product back in the original packing or do I need to get a special package box. The CSR states that send the product back in original packaging and interior packaging it would be safe. Well it was not safe. Get an email today 6/7/2017 stating that the product was damaged by the carrier and the product warranty is no longer valid. To contact the carrier to replace it. After paying $85 to send the product back for replacement I must now make arrangements for the pickup for the product in 48 hours or they will put it in storage for 30 days then discard it. So now I am without a functional TV, $180, $85 and no TV.

I purchased a 50" flat screen TV 4K and it did have some issues with the on/off button - would not turn off with controller, it somehow corrected itself. After 5 months there is no picture. If you turn it off and on several times eventually you get a picture, but it goes off again and you just have a pattern of vertical gray lines. I looked at the reviews online and this is a very common issue along with so many other complaints at 6 months after purchase. This TV was $500, and I got it on sale for $399. In my world that is an awful lot of money. The company says you have to ship it back to them which could run about $200 and if they can not fix it you have to get a refurbished one from them. This company is obviously selling defective merchandise and I am quite irritated by this.

Defective TV purchased November 2016. Great price 199.00 but only lasted 5 months. The antenna connection inside was defective. What a waste of money and time. To deal with customer service (Indonesia) was an ordeal and then going through troubleshooting repeatedly, taking pictures of each result was also a waste. The end result was taking it to the post office and they did not want it because it was oversized. Small parcel carrier wanted almost the same amount for shipping and insurance as what I paid for it, to go to their California return center and IF they agreed that it was defective, I would get a "refurbished" TV. Instead of investing $400 for a refurb, I decided just to eat the 199.00.

Bought the 50" Westinghouse 4k HDTV in Jan 2017 with 3 year extended warranty from Square Trade. Square Trade said I must deal directly with Westinghouse for first year. TV went bad after 6 months, all movies appearing too dark to make anything out. Also discovered headphone jack doesn't work. Called to report the defect and they gave me a bunch of mumbo-jumbo. Said they'd respond in 5 days. Still waiting for a response. DON'T BUY A WESTINGHOUSE TV OR YOU WILL REGRET IT!!

UPDATED ON 06/07/2017: Westinghouse told me I must pay for shipping myself to send their crummy TV back for repairs even when it's still under warranty! Over $400 to ship the TV back to Westinghouse for repairs, which is more than I paid for the TV when I bought it new. Absolutely outrageous! Don't buy this junk from this lousy and rip-off company. Their so called 'technical service' when calling in or emailing them is just about as bad as their product.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Westinghouse?

Westinghouse LED Ultra HD Smart TV - From the moment where I opened the box and got the TV out, I felt how cheap it was... The plastic sides were kind of loose. Plug it, started it up... I needed to be in center of the TV for the remote to be captured... If I was sitting on my couch, nothing would happen. Set it up anyway and started to Watch one of my kid's TV show just to see how it was. The image was correct but not amazing (Better with my 10 years old Sharp) and the sound... WOW... Horrible... Like the sound was coming right out of a can. Brought it back

I purchased my 55 inch smart TV in Oct. 2016. Very satisfied, beautiful picture. In March 2017, 6 months later while watching television I heard a popping noise and realizing that the sound had went bad! I called Westinghouse customer service explained the problem. Turned the volume up so that it could be heard through the phone. After sending in purchase information, I was informed that I had to send my 55 inch TV in and pay for shipping! $212.00. I wasn't informed that because my screen size was over 51inches that I could have had a in house service.

I called back to talk to supervisor that was very short and nasty. I told him what I had just read and that that option wasn't given to me at all. He was very nasty and short. "Sorry for your inconvenience. We don't refund shipping cost and it will take 3 to 6 weeks to refund the cost of the TV minus taxes and shipping." I am very dissatisfied and will never purchase another Westinghouse product again!

Don't touch a Westinghouse Product! Their TV broke in less than a year with minimal use at a vacation house. Their customer service is awful. They outsource everything to the Philippines eliminating US jobs. Over a static phone line with thick accents you are asked to send tons of photos, receipts, other excessive documentation, pay for postage $75 and a $40 box to ship all costing you more time and money than the original TV and then they tell you they can't help you unless you pay a ton more money even though TV is under warranty. George Westinghouse who founded this American company in 1886 would be turning over in his grave if he knew how horrible customers were treated.

I purchased the tv on Thanksgiving night of 2016 from Target in Watertown SD. In March 2017 there appeared a green line down the middle of it. After going through trouble shooting with Westinghouse they said I needed to send them photos of the tv, proof of purchase and serial number. I did but they didn't like that the serial number appeared to be tampered with so they wouldn't honor the warranty of the tv. Even though they could clearly read the serial number and matched up with everything else. I didn't even have the tv for 4 months before it went to junk. I called them and they wouldn't help at all, just said the warranty was void because the serial number appeared to be tampered with.

I bought a 40-inch television. Didn't even have it 30 days and it quit. I bought it from Best Buy. I bought it with income tax and I am disabled. I don’t have the cash to ship it and they won't return my money. So now I am without a TV and spent over $200 after taxes on it. Buyers please be aware. Been fighting over a week with them.

I am reaching out to Consumer Affairs regarding Westinghouse policy on their television repairs. The Westinghouse repair location is located in California, which may be good if I wasn't located in Philadelphia, PA. According to the policy, regarding repairs, I must ship the television that is defective from Philadelphia to California on my own dime. The cost to ship a 55 inch television across the country is quite expense, totaling $425.00, which is the total cost of the television itself. Westinghouse does not cover a single dime of the shipping cost, and I simply cannot afford to ship the television. It would now cost me, almost, $1,000.00 for a television that was only $399.99.

Also, Westinghouse does not guarantee I will receive a fixed television, and if they cannot fix the television they will send a refurbished television. If I wanted a refurbished television I would have purchased a refurbished television. I don't understand why they cannot simply fix my product at my location or at least pay for the shipping of an expensive piece of electronic equipment.

I purchased the product from Target, where I also purchased their extended warranty from Square Trade. The people at Square Trade could not be any more apologetic for our situation and have been extremely helpful. Square Trade would send an employee out to fix the television but cannot because the television is under a factory warranty. Westinghouse is putting an unnecessary burden on the individuals purchasing their products. If you are guaranteeing your product for the year then they should be required to pay for shipment to a facility on the other side of the country. The Westinghouse employees have been rude and unhelpful as they are most likely hand tied by their company's awful rules. I will never buy a product from Westinghouse again.

I discovered that my Westinghouse TV (DWM48F1Y1) was defective, then contacted Westinghouse for warranty service. I provided pictures and proof of purchase via email to verify warranty. Westinghouse never honored my TV warranty and they stopped communications. Do not purchase any Westinghouse products. Westinghouse will not honor the printed warranty that is included with their products.

I purchased a 40" Westinghouse flat screen from Target in Feb of 2014 and I purchased a 55" Westinghouse flat screen from Kmart also in Feb of 2014. The 40" started to have a black line running down the side of the TV after I only had it for 12 months. I called Westinghouse and they helped me troubleshoot what was wrong. But unfortunately my 1 year warranty had run out. Now it's about 20 lines on the screen. I just chalked it up to maybe I just got a bad TV. Fast forward to Feb of 2017. My 55" TV has no picture. It's just a blue screen. It had sound a couple of days ago but I just tried it and now there isn't any sound. I have learned my lesson. You get what you pay for. Now I have 2 junk TV's that I can't use. It's gonna be cheaper to buy new TV's instead of getting this junk fixed. It's would be nice if someone can get a class action going against this company because they are ripping off people.

I had one problem with my 32 in TV and that was my cable company Time Warner couldn't fit the screen and it cut off the tops of the screen and the bottom of the screen. I was on the phone for hours with Time Warner and they said it was the TV and I called Westinghouse for hours and they said it was Time Warner! After a couple yrs with TW, AT&T U-Verse came by and I showed them my problem and said: "can you fix this?" They said "yes!" So I switched to AT&T U-Verse and my TV worked great for many years.

So we were lucky with our Westinghouse!!! I am just now getting a blank screen but have to say didn't realize this TV would last as long as it did! I have to say 15 or close to 20 Flat screen too! And found out it was Time Warner Cable that couldn't fit the screen to my TV! But I believe if you pay 259.00 for a 55 in TV it is not gonna last long! Just my opinion. So thank you Westinghouse for many years of my Flat Screen TV and I am a fan! But reading all the reviews now it is kind of scary. Oh and I have a DVD player on my TV and it still works. Wow. So I was LUCKY??? And it goes now I had many years of good luck with Westinghouse flat screen TV and DVD player in the front of the TV!!! And it still works.

Bought the TV online from Best Buy, got a great deal 40-inch delivered to the house for $190. That was tax and all. Our first time to own a Westinghouse, 40" screen, the year is 2017, so I'm comparing this to my other TV which is a Sony, 52" screen, from the year 2008. They both are flat screen 1080p, LEDs. The picture is equal to the Sony. The Westinghouse sound is by far louder than the Sony and very clear and crisp. We do not have a soundbar on either TV, just comparing regular speakers on both. In all fairness I've only had the TV for 3 weeks, so I don't know if it will stand up to time, but so far we are very pleased with this TV for a bedroom television. The weight of the TV is only 14 pounds compared to the Sony which is 110 pounds. We both love the fact that it is lightweight, able to move it with no problems. If this TV lasts as long as the Sony has and still is, we would definitely buy another Westinghouse TV in the future.

Works as well now as it did when I bought it in 2007. It has lasted since 2007 when I bought it at a Black Friday Sale. Still looks and performs great. It's simple - not a lot of new-fangled stuff that you need to read a manual to operate - has all the basics. Gave up cable in 2015 and connected a Roku box to it. Works great, no problems. Replaced an old, big, thick TV. This one is sleek and looks nice. Picture is good. 32" screen is the right size for a small room and lightweight enough for a small woman to move to the larger living room if guests there want to watch TV.

Everything is what the box said it was, the picture is great once you get use to the 4D, the sound is great and it's really easy to use and set up. The manual was pretty clear and easy to understand, it takes some time to get the functions all memorized and how to use them. The picture and sound are very different at first but you don't even notice after a bit. The TV itself is really light.

55 inch ultra high def tv: Complete junk, problem after problem, a week after I got it I would be watching TV and the screen would go completely green and freeze. The volume is horrible. If you turn it up one setting it's too high and if you turn down one setting it's too low. There's no in-between. It can't remember passwords and freezes every few hours to where I have to manually unplug it. I've had it about 3 to 4 months and it's only problems so far, each time something happens I wonder if it's broke and it's upsetting.

What the hell? A one year old 50" TV and the picture just goes out. Research online shows this problem has plagued them for years, and they have made no attempt to correct the issue. Back in the day they were respected. Now looks like they are one of the profits before customer corporations that have sprung up. I will not purchase another product from them.

I purchased a Westinghouse 55" ultra HD 4K Smart TV with a two-year warranty on 9/18/16 off of the HSN network. When it arrived the box was undamaged and set aside to await installation. It was packaged in a box with a lot of foam packaging but when we took it out of the box, it was completed cracked on one side and did not work.

I called and the customer service told me that I needed to talk to HSN. HSN was called and told me to talk to Westinghouse. The customer service at Westinghouse told me to take a picture of the back of the TV, the front while it was on and proof of purchase beyond my receipt from HSN. I had to call HSN yet again to get them to send me proof of purchase, before the proof arrived Westinghouse sent me an email that my case was closing because it was seven days and no information had been sent.

Now I was angry, and let them know that in an email - they agreed to wait for the proof. When it arrived I sent the pictures and proof to them only for them to tell me; The breakage is not covered under the warranty, but I stated a television that arrives broken and will not work is a defect, I purchased a television not a paper weight. So now I am out almost $800 for a TV that can't be used. Plus I had to purchase another television, ridiculous! Deceitful people who should not be in business.

Beware of Westinghouse televisions. Long term reliability is questionable. Purchased 1 yr ago from Target and knew it was a cheaper TV. After 14 months the power went out. Did a little homework and found I wasn't the only one with a similar issue. Called customer service and reported but to no avail. I'm out of luck. I'd recommend doing a bit of homework and not go the inexpensive route. Picture and sound were adequate, and otherwise satisfied, but seems like they have a common issue that the company isn't too interested in solving with customer service. If you're outside the warranty window they're not willing to help resolve the issue.

I purchased a $400 after taxes $490 50-inch Westinghouse smart tv September 5, 2016 at Best Buy and a week ago I had it on for my granddaughter who was visiting and it just went out. Won't power back on. I contacted the manufacturer who said I have a defective television but they couldn't find a repair person in my area so it's up to me to ship the TV to a company and wait up to 30 days after the 5-7 day shipping period for them to repair or replace with a used TV. This is absolutely ridiculous. Why should I have to put out an additional $200 in shipping fees for a brand new TV that is rarely used. And not to mention no help from Best Buy who said "sorry it's not our problem we sold you a worthless product sucker," at least that's what their words sounded like to me. They should start a class action lawsuit against them for selling a product that is no good and they know it.

I purchased a 32" Westinghouse flat screen with remote for my 8 year old grandson. My complaint is not with the TV but with the remote that almost caught on fire and the customer service I received. I called Westinghouse and Apoo wants all of my personal history before he ever wants to hear one word of my grievance. When I told him about the remote he went to that page in his how to handle this problem handbook and read to me the process. I must send to them a picture of the remote, a picture of the serial number plate, which is on the bottom of the already mounted TV, which means we will have to take it down to get the picture, and a picture of the receipt. Send those 3 pictures and after it has been verified and approved they will send a replacement within 7 to 10 business days.

The remote control would have caught fire in an 8 year old's bedroom had we just put the batteries in the remote and went to bed. The remote was so hot you couldn't touch it. Now I have to jump through hoops and wait 2 weeks, and I might get another remote. I remember a time when if this would have happened I would have received a remote by the fastest means without a picture or a hard time.

Model 32 inch, DWM32HIG1. Purchased tv on Black Friday November 2015 and sound had been failing and thought it was my internet company and had them to come out twice to check the device/receiver and was told it was not my cable company reception to the tv and tv was failing. Sound would come on and then go off. Finally called Westinghouse after locating my receipt and taking several photos and troubleshooting for 2 hours and several call back and a reset, I was told my warranty ended and I was 1 day out of warranty and nothing could be done. Advised Westinghouse that I could provided documentation that the sound was failing and the dates my sound stopped working and they would not honor the warranty and denied my claim. I only watch the TV on weekend and had the problem early into my life of the TV and they did not want to hear or entertain any thoughts on replacement or repair. My complaint and order **.

I purchased this brand a few years ago and shortly the HDMI port stopped working. I thought this was an isolated incident until I purchased another tv by them 6 months ago and the sound is already gone! I looked up some reviews and now see this brand is pretty bad. Now to chalk up my losses and purchase a better quality.

While watching this TV a bar appeared near top of screen and video went out. No menu or source could be brought up with buttons. Purchased at Target. Past 30 day return policy. I went ahead and entered a ticket on Westinghouse site but after reading other reviews stating they require customer to pay to ship TV will probably just trash it and buy Samsung or another quality brand. Funny how old quality American brand names such as Westinghouse are now the lowest quality items. I knew this when buying this TV but took a chance anyway.

Had it for 30 days, 30 days!! IR sensor went out and Best Buy didn't offer any more than a 15 day warranty. Want me to ship to CA and I'm in TX then if something else breaks I have to pay for it!! Spend a few more bucks for a real brand or you'll end up spending it to fix this sucky brand!!

Me and my wife bought a 60 inch tv less than a month and a half ago. While watching the news on morning the screen went black. After emails back and forth they said I need to pay and take on the responsibility to ship the tv to California when I live in Ohio and if something happens in the process they are not responsible. Now where is the fairness in that. I have to pay more money on top of the price to get I should have received in the beginning. So basically they received money for nothing since I can't afford to ship it to them. A word to the wise - put more money with it and go with another brand.

Westinghouse Electronics is a trash ass company. They sell ** products then decline to repair them. For the past 4 months I've been trying to get my tv fixed. Every document asked for I've provided. Saturday they emailed me saying they had to validate the authenticity of my receipt as if I fabricated my purchase.

Purchased TV at Target 1 1/2 months ago. There's a start delay when I turn it on. Picture would appear 16 seconds later. Contacted Westinghouse and was told there's a defect. I have to ship TV to them for repair! Didn't buy warranty and return is before 30 days at Target. So I can't exchange it. Can't believe Westinghouse doesn't give a crap about their customers. From reading here this defective TVs are very common. This is why America is so screwed up - terrible manufacturing. They are building crap and China is building reliable products. Extremely disgusted with Westinghouse. Will never ever buy any products from them. PLEASE DON'T BUY ANY OF THEIR PRODUCTS. SAVE YOUR MONEY.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Westinghouse got its start over 115 years ago, patenting the rotary steam engine. Throughout the years it has designed and manufactured multiple consumer appliances such as energy efficient light bulbs, LCD TVs and conventional portable and inverter generators. Its generators are designed for powering home appliances in emergency situations, campers and RVs and industrial job sites.

• Portable generators: Westinghouse makes five portable generator models that range from 3,250-10,000 watts. They boast run times of around 10-19 hours when running at a 25 percent load. They also feature weather protected outlets for harsh working conditions and Pulse-Flo TIM Mufflers, which make these models among the quietest on the market.
  • Inverter generators: Westinghouse includes three models of generators in its inverter series ranging from 1,000-2,100 watts. They have a run-time of around 13 hours when operating at a 25 percent load. Inverter generators feature a double insulated acoustic hood, asymmetrical fans to allow for quiet operation and a lightweight, ergonomic design.
  • Additional features: Westinghouse offers additional features for their generators such as lifting hooks for easy transportation and remote start, which allows you to start your generator from a distance. Additionally, generators come with a smart idle feature that automatically adjusts based on demand, which saves fuel.
  • Service and support: Westinghouse offers multiple tools online to make sure your generator stays in working order and operates smoothly. You can register your product online, find a service center, view FAQs, read up on technical service bulletins and view informational videos on all models of generators. They also include details for their power warranty for each model.
  • Pricing: Westinghouse lists its three models of inverter generators at $499, $699 and $749. Its portable generators range from $449-$2,899.
  • Best for consumers needing a portable generator for travel or recreational purposes.

Compare Generators