1.43/5
  • 1 star
Based on 51 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 22, 2017

565 Westinghouse Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

Purchased first one in 2013. After a couple years it wouldn't turn on anymore. Bought a second one (50" flat screen tv) thinking it might be a fluke. After 2 years THE SAME THING HAPPENED. The unit will not start. They began getting difficult to turn on then suddenly nothing. Even unplugging them and replacing the plug. The starters are gone. So am I. Will never buy another. Refuse to send them back. I'm on a limited budget and will listen to my 30 year old radio until I can afford to buy a reliable brand. Not happy.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

Trouble from day one, screen freezes up. Less than 1 year old and no picture or sound. I called Westinghouse and they had me run diagnostics and then after over an hour told me it was defective and to call another number for warranty help. I was on the phone with them for about 1 hour also and was told I would have to pay and be responsible to ship it back to them. So I called Target where I bought it for help and was told I had to go through Westinghouse. Both have lost me as a customer. After checking Target's review on this 55 inch led UHD 4k Smart tv, it has happened to several others.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

I purchased a Westinghouse TV. Brought it home, used it some and it just stopped working. Called Tech Support - they want me to return my TV at MY expense even though the TV is under warranty and the TV is having a "power fault". Their warranty is crap - DON'T BUY WESTINGHOUSE ELECTRONICS.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I purchased a 50 4K Westinghouse Smart TV from Best Buy. After 10 months the TV would not turn on. After confirming with Westinghouse that the TV was defective, I was told to return the unit in its original packaging at my own expense (hundreds of dollars). This was not going to happen. I consulted with a TV repair company near me and was told that it was not worth opening the TV as it would cost more than the set was worth. He said that he is seeing this happen more and more with low end TVs. Basically you get what you pay for. He recommended several quality brands available at Costco. I bought a Samsung that will be covered for seven years (just $30 additional). If at any time I need service, they will come to my home to repair or replace. I am disappointed in Westinghouse and will never buy another product from them. Inferior product, disgusting customer service. Please learn from my experience.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I created an account just to write this review. THAT'S how frustrated this experience has made me. I bought a 42" Westinghouse TV two days ago. The screws used to attach the base pieces were not included in the packaging. Six screws. SIX. SCREWS. I wrote to their customer service department using a link from Westinghouse's website and a rep replied the next day. The reply consisted of a request for a picture of the serial number on the TV along with a picture of the receipt showing I paid for it. Really, guys? I could waste less time driving to my local hardware store to purchase the screws for less than a dollar. But what the hell, I played along. I took the pictures they requested and shot an email back to them. Here's the cherry on top: my email was RETURNED as "the recipient's mailbox is full." LOL

First: they treat me as a criminal until I complied with their demands of proof, all over six lousy screws. Second: their IT department is, at best, lacking. Silly me would expect a larger email inbox for a pretty sizable corporation. Third: the TV's sound quality is absolutely terrible. The picture is OK, though, and it's being used in a bedroom, so it works fine for the purpose it was purchased for. The Westinghouse name used to be synonymous with quality, but because this country is run by the almighty dollar, quality and service have been sacrificed. Too bad. Welcome to my boycott list, Westinghouse. Have a seat next to Samsung. I really should just return the damned TV to where I bought it but I find I've spent too much time on this already.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Westinghouse?

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

Westinghouse 55 inch Smart 4K ULTRA HDTV lasted for 5 months. I guess that what happens when you buy cheap stuff. Bought it back in May and it all black, no sound or image. Customer service is a joke. I would need to send the TV to them. To get it fix another 300++ dollars.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I bought this TV online from Target 11 months ago and about one month ago the sound started warbling. So I had to remove my sound bar, otherwise it would have driven me bonkers! Since I had a warranty I called Westinghouse. After at least 20 plus emails, I haven't gotten nowhere, because they want a store receipt, even though I send them a picture of the invoice AND my credit card statement, which is NOT good enough. Needless to say, I think I am getting the shaft here!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

If I could give 1/2 a star I would. This TV has a 10 second or more delay between every selection. Many as won't even load because of the lag of this TV. It is the worst experience I have ever had with a TV. It is 2 months old and it has been this way since day one. It was a TV for my bedroom. It's useless in my opinion? I have to use the Amazon stick even though this is a "Smart TV". But the stick works better but still has a delay. Terrible, terrible, terrible.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

Westinghouse 55 inch Smart 4K ULTRA HDTV - Bought this TV via internet and had it delivered without any events. Set it up on the wall and worked fine for about 2 months then I experienced a "no power" issue. I went through an extensive diagnostic period and still no power. The damn thing just would not turn on. I attempted to send it back since it was still under warranty. I found out that the defective TV would have to had been sent back to the manufacturer at my expense; that would have been $350. What a joke; the warranty is a joke and useless; the product is a joke. Don't buy this product. It is N/G.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

Stay away from purchasing any of their products. 55 inch tv died 9 months in at end of August. Contacted them. First they say although warranty states over 50 inches they in-house service they don't. After 2 weeks they determine it's bad and will replace with refurb. Catch was had to pay 25 dollars to recycle it and show them receipt... unrefundable... 6 more weeks and numerous phone calls and emails refurb arrives. Defective... lol... call them yet again... said send pics of tv including serial number and they will have shipping company pick it up and issue refund on tv purchase price less tax only. Forget the recycle fee.

2 weeks after pics sent I get email saying they couldn't read photo of serial number... I used photoshop... cropped picture and rotated 90 degrees. It was clear to me originally... lol... wait another few days... no word so I call... guy finds photo... read fine to him. I guess in 3rd world countries they cannot afford glasses... am still being told conservative estimate until check in hand 4 to 6 more weeks... so 4 months of aggravation minimum for what? No exaggerations in this post. So unprofessional you cannot make this up. Lesson learned... don't buy Westinghouse, Sharp, JVC, Toshiba, Hisense, and Vizio... they are all the same product on the inside owned by same Chinese company now.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I purchased a big screen tv February 5. Mounted it on wall. Was working until September. Went to bed tv was on. Woke up tv is black with a circle type thing in left corner. Contacted Westinghouse and they are saying I impacted tv. Well if they look closer they will see their product is warped in left corner but they are saying I impacted the tv and refuse to help me with this crappy tv. Westinghouse doesn't care about their customers only making big $$$ for the company so now I have a 400$ paperweight and no tv. All consumers, be aware of Westinghouse and do not buy their products. I know Westinghouse nothing will ever be in my house again. So much for buying American. I am hoping posting on here will alert all consumers and hopefully get me some satisfaction.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

Bought my mom a 32" Westinghouse TV (model #WD32HX1120) on Black Friday from Kohl's, and within a few months use, no sound. I took the TV back and expressed concern about the TV not working so soon. I asked the store workers if others had returned their Westinghouse TV for the same reason. Kohl's said they were not aware of any problems with the Westinghouse TVs. They exchanged it for another one in store - same model# WD32HX1120.

My mom used the replacement TV for a few months, and the sound on this second 32" Westinghouse TV stopped working. I just tried to take the TV back to Kohl's only to find their store policy changed and they don't take TVs back without the original receipt, in the original box within 30 days of purchase. I have the exchange receipt, but not the original receipt.

I dread having to tell my Mom, a senior citizen on a fixed income that Kohl's no longer has a fair return policy. I have no working TV for her. I'm more than disappointed that two Westinghouse TVs had the exact same problem. I don't know if all Westinghouse TVs have the same poor quality. Beware. The sound stopped working within a few months of use on two 32" Westinghouse TV's - model #WD32HX1120.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

My TVs did not last 4 years. I purchased two 46 Westinghouse TVs. My sons TVs blew last month and now mine does not work. We have the sound and no picture. I feel that this is awful and a inconvenience and I will not buy another Westinghouse anything again. I understand that I did not purchase a warranty but I wonder if it would have covered it anyway.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

Worst TV ever bought. Died in less than 6 months. DO NOT BUY ANY WESTINGHOUSE product. Worst warranty practices in the industry. Very poor build quality. Bought the TV for $299 plus tax. Asked me to have it shipped back to them at my OWN cost. That too after a long phone call and after being asked to send multiple photos as evidence of the TV not working. Shipping cost would be $280. Ridiculous warranty policy. STAY AWAY from Westinghouse. DO NOT BUY ANY WESTINGHOUSE product.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

I searched high and low for a basic, no frills washing machine that was made in the USA. The Hydrowave by Westinghouse fit the bill. For the first year, it was fine. And then it all started to go downhill. First of all, the choice of water levels is a joke, because it's going to fill up to 'whatever' regardless of where the knob is set. Secondly, the water temps do the same thing. I want cold, it gives me hot. I want hot, it gives me cold. Sometimes it actually completes the full cycle, other times it fills and then just turns off, so an hour later I go to put, what I think are clean clothes, into the dryer and instead they're still sitting there in a tub full of water. It has a mind of its own.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

Brought tv brand new. Died in less than 30 days. Company would not give a return money for the tv. Made numerous phone calls. Spent money taking pictures of tv and talking with many customer service people and supervisors. Bottom line, customer service wanted me to ship tv at my cost, which would not be reimbursed, and which cost approx the same amount as the tv. Warning to all... That this company does not value any customer and uses this return policy as a way to not pay reimburse the customer. They outright stole hundreds of dollar from me and I have no recourse. This is the best scam ever. They must get rich doing practice, after all they have nothing to lose.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

Worst TV ever bought. Died in less than 6 months. DO NOT BUY ANY WESTINGHOUSE product. Worst warranty practices in the industry. Very poor build quality. Bought the TV for $200 plus tax. Asked me to have it shipped back to them at my OWN cost that too after a long phone call and after being asked to send multiple photos as evidence of the TV not working. Shipping cost would be $176. Ridiculous warranty policy. STAY AWAY from Westinghouse. DO NOT BUY ANY WESTINGHOUSE product.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

The picture went at 6 months after buying. I was made to pay to have the broken tv shipped to back to Westinghouse. I had to get proof they had signed for my tv after it had been shipped there. After 2 weeks they found my tv in their warehouse and wasn't able to fix it. I wouldn't recommend their tvs. I'll never buy another one!!

Original review: June 28, 2017

Only had this Cabrio washing machine for 1 1/2 years. Bearings have gone... No I did not overload it as Westinghouse tried to tell me. I am 59, been washing for years, just me and my hubby. It will cost $700 to fix. I didn't even pay that much for it. Had another washing machine for 15 years never had a problem. Only got rid of it cause I thought a new one would be better on electricity. Would never buy or recommend any Westinghouse.

Original review: June 27, 2017

Buy a Westinghouse tv 55 inch, only worked 3 months. Please if you need to buy some electronic device, never buy Westinghouse. They are trash, and your warranty service is worse. You have to return the tv to California, so they can resell it, pay $200 on UPS so they can return the value of what you paid for their trash. Of course they do not pay the taxes you paid. Never buy Westinghouse electronics.

Original review: June 24, 2017

I bought this TV on sale at BEST Buy and was very excited. 2 months later the TV would turn on, had sound but was completely black screen. Went to go fix it, stepped out of the room for 2 minutes... Came back in TV completely dead. I am now out of $200 and a TV. Do not recommend.

Original review: June 18, 2017

Their warranty process is horrible. I bought a Westinghouse 55 inch TV off HSN for $643. After about 3 weeks of having the TV I tried to turn it off and the screen just turned black. It was still on just a black screen. I eventually had to unplug the TV in order for it to turn on and off. I called the customer service on 3 different occasions to no avail. They gave me the run around having me reset it 3 different times. Finally they said I could send the TV back at my OWN expense and have a new TV sent to me. Well I don't have that type of money to resend a TV I purposely purchased because it supposedly had a warranty. Long story short please do not buy any Westinghouse products because their warranty is crap and they will give you the run around until your warranty is close to running out.

Original review: June 16, 2017

Bought my TV November 28 2016. Now it won't turn on. Called customer service. Was first told 10-15 business weeks to have it looked at under warranty. Then WE have to pay for it to be shipped to them so that was another 200 dollars. Don't waste time buying this brand TV, spend the extra money buying a different brand. All together over 600 dollars to end up with a broken TV.

Original review: June 11, 2017

Not much to say that hasn't been said on recent reviews of these products. Worked maybe 6 months then died. Made me go through hoops to start the claim only to find out that I pay for return shipping (across the country), would probably take 3-6 weeks, and would only send a like model after one was located?? If something breaks under manufacturer's warranty that I bought new I should get a new one if mine can't be repaired, all this trouble is not worth it and they know it. Also you have to put some blame on Best Buy as they are selling these garbage paperweights (STAND BEHIND WHAT YOU SELL). It's truly a shame that this is your typical business anymore. STAY AS FAR AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY AND THEIR PRODUCTS AS POSSIBLE!!!

Original review: June 7, 2017

TV during Sesame Street no sound even after doing a reset. No sound after 6 months. The TV purchase is under 1 year. After sending numerous emails, calling Best Buy where I purchased the TV, the manager was kind and sent me the pickup sheet with the price paid via email to send to Westinghouse. Then more emailing again of the back of the TV, etc. proof of purchase, finally sent email with information to send back the product.

Called the customer service replacement line and asked if I should send the product back in the original packing or do I need to get a special package box. The CSR states that send the product back in original packaging and interior packaging it would be safe. Well it was not safe. Get an email today 6/7/2017 stating that the product was damaged by the carrier and the product warranty is no longer valid. To contact the carrier to replace it. After paying $85 to send the product back for replacement I must now make arrangements for the pickup for the product in 48 hours or they will put it in storage for 30 days then discard it. So now I am without a functional TV, $180, $85 and no TV.

Original review: June 5, 2017

I purchased a 50" flat screen TV 4K and it did have some issues with the on/off button - would not turn off with controller, it somehow corrected itself. After 5 months there is no picture. If you turn it off and on several times eventually you get a picture, but it goes off again and you just have a pattern of vertical gray lines. I looked at the reviews online and this is a very common issue along with so many other complaints at 6 months after purchase. This TV was $500, and I got it on sale for $399. In my world that is an awful lot of money. The company says you have to ship it back to them which could run about $200 and if they can not fix it you have to get a refurbished one from them. This company is obviously selling defective merchandise and I am quite irritated by this.

Original review: June 2, 2017

My TV is just as good now as it was when I brought it home. The color is good, the picture is clear & crisp as well as the sound. Up & down of volume is also good. It is very well made and I have mine for over 6 years, still going strong. If you want a great TV buy WH.

Original review: May 27, 2017

Defective TV purchased November 2016. Great price 199.00 but only lasted 5 months. The antenna connection inside was defective. What a waste of money and time. To deal with customer service (Indonesia) was an ordeal and then going through troubleshooting repeatedly, taking pictures of each result was also a waste. The end result was taking it to the post office and they did not want it because it was oversized. Small parcel carrier wanted almost the same amount for shipping and insurance as what I paid for it, to go to their California return center and IF they agreed that it was defective, I would get a "refurbished" TV. Instead of investing $400 for a refurb, I decided just to eat the 199.00.

Original review: May 26, 2017

Worked just fine for three years, then started getting a dark grey stripe across the middle one third of the screen. Still does it from time to time and has to be turned off and restarted after 10 -15 seconds.

Original review: May 25, 2017

Westinghouse shows good pictures, has great sound and the screen is just the right size. It has been working for me for 6 years. I haven't had any problems with it.

Westinghouse expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Westinghouse got its start over 115 years ago, patenting the rotary steam engine. Throughout the years it has designed and manufactured multiple consumer appliances such as energy efficient light bulbs, LCD TVs and conventional portable and inverter generators. Its generators are designed for powering home appliances in emergency situations, campers and RVs and industrial job sites.

• Portable generators: Westinghouse makes five portable generator models that range from 3,250-10,000 watts. They boast run times of around 10-19 hours when running at a 25 percent load. They also feature weather protected outlets for harsh working conditions and Pulse-Flo TIM Mufflers, which make these models among the quietest on the market.

• Inverter generators: Westinghouse includes three models of generators in its inverter series ranging from 1,000-2,100 watts. They have a run-time of around 13 hours when operating at a 25 percent load. Inverter generators feature a double insulated acoustic hood, asymmetrical fans to allow for quiet operation and a lightweight, ergonomic design.

• Additional features: Westinghouse offers additional features for their generators such as lifting hooks for easy transportation and remote start, which allows you to start your generator from a distance. Additionally, generators come with a smart idle feature that automatically adjusts based on demand, which saves fuel.

• Service and support: Westinghouse offers multiple tools online to make sure your generator stays in working order and operates smoothly. You can register your product online, find a service center, view FAQs, read up on technical service bulletins and view informational videos on all models of generators. They also include details for their power warranty for each model.

• Pricing: Westinghouse lists its three models of inverter generators at $499, $699 and $749. Its portable generators range from $449-$2,899.

• Best for: consumers needing a portable generator for travel or recreational purposes.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs