1.35/5
Based on 438 reviews that contain star ratings

Westinghouse Reviews

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

583 Westinghouse Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

Purchased a TV that did not work properly from day one. Notified Westinghouse and they put us through a series of troubleshooting steps then pictures of receipts the TV and videos of the TV not working. Once we gave them all they wanted they informed us that they did not have another TV in stock. They were refunding me my money minus the tax I paid once they RECEIVED the TV. Not only did I pay for shipping to receive the TV, I now have to be 80 dollars to ship the TV back. A product that did not work properly from the day we purchased it. This company makes its money by taking from its customers. I would never recommend them to anyone. First and last time purchasing with them. Save your time and money. Buy an LG or Samsung product. They stand behind their products and have amazing morals and customer service.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I purchased a 50” Westinghouse TV on Ft Lewis store (AAFESS) this Feb 2018. In Oct 2018 The TV is unserviceable. When I turn it on the whole scene is green. I contacted Westinghouse. Their warranty is a year, they did troubleshooting. When that didn’t they wanted photos and receipts. I took photos and send them all the information they have requested. They replied that to refund me the money I would have to mail the TV to them. I asked will I get refunded for the shipping on a 50" TV, they said no. I told them shipping a TV of that size will be about the same price of the actual TV. They said no sorry, I suggested to them that I can take the TV to one of their authorize location to validate the return of the TV. They said no again. I tried to be patient with them and can’t find a solution. They are the worst company.

Get expert buying tips about TV Brands delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Remote has to be just perfectly aimed to work; can't hold a wireless connection. Speakers face down, so sound is terrible. Choice of streaming channels is VERY limited. If using an antenna and you want, say, channel 6.1, you can't just hit "6" and then hit "up" to get 6.1. If there is no channel 6 the TV goes back to your previous channel. This TV is a bad joke on the public. My housemate bought it a few months ago and left it behind when he moved. I'm not surprised.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Had T.V. mounted on T.V. wall mount. Noticed T.V. tipping outward. When checked the back of T.V. where mounted was actually cracked apart... T.V. was about to fall. To me this is a safety issue. It could of fallen and hurt someone. Phoned company. That I guess was a waste of time. I guess safety is not a issue with this company. Would not recommend this brand to anyone.

Original review: July 11, 2018

I own 13 Televisions and bought a Westinghouse for one of the outdoor rooms, thank God I only bought one Westinghouse. Has to be one of the worst TVs on the market. Half the time the remote doesn't work unless it is 2 feet from the TV and I could eat lunch in the time it takes to change from channel to channel. I should have reviewed this before I bought it. It was cheap so I gave it away...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Westinghouse?

Original review: July 5, 2018

I purchased TV a few months ago. Now it’s blacked out. Not turning on, went to Micro Center. They said I should call Manufacturer. After I called Westinghouse the process is horrible. Almost impossible so stay away from this product. It has a 1 year manufacturer warranty but its shipping, receiving, and refund will take over 3 months. That is what representative told me.

Original review: July 1, 2018

I’ve had my smart tv for only 5 months and as a gamer my tv is very important. I was in the middle of a gaming session and it just blacked with sound still playing, I turned it off then back on but it just showed the logo then blacked out again. Just so you know, you guys have the worst televisions ever!!!

Original review: June 20, 2018

If you want to buy a quality TV, don't buy a Westinghouse. Mine was defective, the remote won't work. So what does Westinghouse propose? Return my TV, wait a month, then get a refurbished model. Or, recycle my TV, wait a month, and either get a new one or get a check for what I bought my TV for. Why should I have to wait a month to get a TV? Why did I buy a Westinghouse and not a good brand, like LG, Samsung, or Sony? Their customer relations take days to get back to you and honestly, their return policy for defective TV's that are under warranty is truly awful. Don't buy from them, you get what you pay for!!!

Original review: June 10, 2018

I have never had as good an appliance as this one. It was originally my parents that bought this freezer 40 years ago (Yes you read that correctly). And over those 40 years it's fallen off of a trailer onto the highway at 55 mph and many other things and it's never had a problem or needed any kind of repair, and to this day still runs great and quiet. I hardly doubt they make them like this anymore.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I purchased a generator about 2 months ago. I paid extra for the push button feature. Approximately $875.00. During the first storm I could not get this feature to work. So, my son who is a professional mechanic came over and checked it. Jokingly, he hooked up the battery. We laughed then he did an amp reading. Well, it’s a good thing it wasn’t hooked up. The battery is charging 13.5 times too fast. It can and will explode if used. I contacted Westinghouse. They told me to send a picture of the receipt and the generator info. Model number etc. which I did. A week later they said they would send me a repair kit. They sent me a new battery that didn’t fit as well as a wall plug that didn’t go to anything.

This product is under warranty. So I called back. Told them I want it repaired Or I want my money back. Now this thing weighs @ 200 lbs. They want me to load it up in my car and drive an hour away to drop it off for repairs, it also has 5 gallons of gas in it. I want my money back. They basically told me, "Too bad." If I could give this rating no stars I would. The worst customer service I have ever encountered. I even tried to hire a lawyer but since there have been no injuries they are not interested. Shame on you Westinghouse!! I work like a dog to pay my bills and you stole my money!! Never again!! I will use this generator when I have to. Since I have no more money for another... When it explodes then I will sue.

Original review: May 8, 2018

I have had this refrigerator for over 12 years and have never had a problem with it. It keeps my food cold and the freezer has a quick freeze that freezes my store bought food in minutes. It is a great refrigerator.

Original review: April 14, 2018

Bought a 40" Smart TV. Had issues with remote, thought maybe batteries were not good... Changed them. There was no difference then not even a month after purchasing the TV remote stopped working. Was told to contact company so I did, told them the issue was told to use my phone camera to test remote. Remote does not work... Was asked to send info receipt and pic of model and serial numbers, so I did. Then was told had to wait for support team to go over my info. This was Apr 3rd 2018 then finally got a response on Apr 8th stating that support team would try and locate a remote for the TV and IF they CAN find one they would send it to me and I would get it in 48 hrs.

However by Apr 13th still not receive remote or any other communication from this company. So I contacted the company on Apr 13th 2018 just to be told that they do not have a remote for me and to go buy a universal remote (not that I didn't spend enough already on this TV that does not work properly now I'm being ask to spend more money). Unfortunately the universal remotes do not work on Westinghouse TVs. Won't replace the TV or GIVE my money back. 1 month old and out 350.00 dollars that I worked hard to save to buy this TV. Now I'm stuck with a brand new TV that I can't use!!! I'm very disappointed and upset about this!! Very unreliable Company and will never ever buy anything with the name Westinghouse or any other product associated with this company... They do not stand behind their products and steal from people.

Original review: March 16, 2018

I bought a 40 inch Smart 1080P LED HDTV on March 4, 2017, the sales staff at Best Buy gave us the wrong TV so had to go back to Best Buy and exchange so it puts the original purchase date at about March 13, 2017. They did not adjust receipt. TV had signs of not working but thought it was the cable and then completely quit working on March 15, 2018.

Best Buy will do nothing. Called (won't shop there again unless forced) and called your awful customer service as directed by Best Buy and they won't do anything because out of warranty, refused to give me a manager, said there either was not manager or not available and there was no time I could call back to talk with a manager who might be able to give me some credit. Said they were in the Philippines and when I asked for a number in the states or anyone else I could talk to would not give me anyone. Sounded like they were in their front room with a TV running. This is not the service you expect from a large corporation. Warning. Do not ever buy a Westinghouse product. They do not stand behind their products whatsoever and are rude and nasty and will not work with consumers.

Original review: March 8, 2018

55 inch flat screen - Purchased from Microcenter (never again) and purchased a 3 year extended warranty. This piece of junk quit after 3 years and 2 weeks. I thought I would be ok because the original 90 warranty plus the 3 year I would still be covered. Wrong. The extended warranty starts when purchased. So I have 2 warranties on it for 90 days. So it goes out to the curb on trash day. Will never buy a Westinghouse item again. And will never shop at Microcenter again.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

I bought a 55 inch Westinghouse Smart TV February of last year. It had 2 year warranty. It would freeze up and then won't go on or off and I would have to unplug it to get it to work. Last week it just went off and TV won't work at all. Called about my warranty to see about getting it fixed. Emailed them back and forth. They said the warranty was no good because I plugged my TV into a surge protector in the wall.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

I have purchased and I have been using the Westinghouse SMART TV 32inch LED Model WD32FBE1001 for a few days using the Internet and my YouTube Red account, with my music, videos, and pictures from my USB Thumb Drive and viewing TV as regular broadcast and I am very satisfied. It was a snap to set up and to get connected. It came with a well written quick start card and user's manual that is rare these days and this helped me get up and running quickly. It connected to my secure wireless network and had the interface that allows adding complex passwords and allows connecting using secure protocols with AES encryption.

I ran an Nmap scan and Nessus scan against it and my entire network and the result was no added vulnerabilities and all the ports on it are closed to the scan. Considering this TV was under $150 brand new out of the box, I am definitely impressed. The High Definition picture and superb sound was a real WOW factor, again considering the price is what you pay for a cheap 24 inch TV that can't do much.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

I wish I had read the reviews here before buying a Westinghouse 50 in 4K Smart TV from the Best Buy in Brentwood MO at the advice of their salesperson. Like many others, after only four months my TV would turn on but have a black screen, no video/audio. I had not purchased the Best Buy protection program, so was instructed to contact Westinghouse's offshore customer service center. After repeated phone calls and emails, including sending a ridiculous number of photos of the TV in its 'non-operating state', I finally received a confirmation from Westinghouse that they considered my TV to be defective and would be replaced, and provided very specific directions that I ship my TV in the original package to freight terminal in Los Angeles at my expense (no drop offs allowed). Unlike most other reviewers, I paid UPS $136 and shipped my TV as instructed.

A week later I received an email indicating that my case had been closed to my satisfaction, followed by a second email indicating the TV had been damaged in transit (big surprise, a defective TV that no longer works), and would no longer be replaced by Westinghouse. I was instructed to contact my carrier for a settlement. I did so, and UPS was very helpful, but Westinghouse refused to provide instructions allowing UPS to pick up the 'damaged' TV and packaging for evaluation. So I could not collect on the insurance purchased at UPS, and was now out my $499 purchase price, my $136 shipping fee, and my TV. The manager at the Brentwood MO Best Buy suggested I return to the store and pay full retail for a replacement unit, strongly suggesting that I purchase their protection package at an additional 20% charge above the cost of the unit.

Some additional research uncovered the fact that the Westinghouse TV brand is actually now part of Tongfang's growing portfolio of TV brand names. The Chinese electronics manufacturer sells those Westinghouse-brand TVs through a subsidiary called Westinghouse Electronics. The Good news is that this company has nothing to do with the Westinghouse Corporation well known for its participation in the US Government's Military Program for nuclear energy programs (thank goodness). Apparently that company is now owned by Toshiba. So that familiar household name and industry leading manufacturer of American-made electronics we thought we were buying from? Looks like we were really just being ripped off by a Chinese software company based in Beijing.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

There are few times I can recall that I’ve been absolutely appalled by a company. This ranks pretty high. I bought a TV on Black Friday from Westinghouse. It was my husband’s Christmas present. Unfortunately, after setting up the TV and turning it on, we noticed a line all the way across the picture. The process to get this fixed is horrendous. You wait on hold for hours, once you speak to someone they tell you that you will be contacted within 24-48 hours with the next step but won’t just take care of it while you’re on the phone. On top of it all, they make you go through great lengths to get a refund or a replacement product. You can’t speak to anyone from the actual company because their call center is contracted out. I will never purchase anything from this company again.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

Purchased first one in 2013. After a couple years it wouldn't turn on anymore. Bought a second one (50" flat screen tv) thinking it might be a fluke. After 2 years THE SAME THING HAPPENED. The unit will not start. They began getting difficult to turn on then suddenly nothing. Even unplugging them and replacing the plug. The starters are gone. So am I. Will never buy another. Refuse to send them back. I'm on a limited budget and will listen to my 30 year old radio until I can afford to buy a reliable brand. Not happy.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

Trouble from day one, screen freezes up. Less than 1 year old and no picture or sound. I called Westinghouse and they had me run diagnostics and then after over an hour told me it was defective and to call another number for warranty help. I was on the phone with them for about 1 hour also and was told I would have to pay and be responsible to ship it back to them. So I called Target where I bought it for help and was told I had to go through Westinghouse. Both have lost me as a customer. After checking Target's review on this 55 inch led UHD 4k Smart tv, it has happened to several others.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

I purchased a Westinghouse TV. Brought it home, used it some and it just stopped working. Called Tech Support - they want me to return my TV at MY expense even though the TV is under warranty and the TV is having a "power fault". Their warranty is crap - DON'T BUY WESTINGHOUSE ELECTRONICS.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I purchased a 50 4K Westinghouse Smart TV from Best Buy. After 10 months the TV would not turn on. After confirming with Westinghouse that the TV was defective, I was told to return the unit in its original packaging at my own expense (hundreds of dollars). This was not going to happen. I consulted with a TV repair company near me and was told that it was not worth opening the TV as it would cost more than the set was worth. He said that he is seeing this happen more and more with low end TVs. Basically you get what you pay for. He recommended several quality brands available at Costco. I bought a Samsung that will be covered for seven years (just $30 additional). If at any time I need service, they will come to my home to repair or replace. I am disappointed in Westinghouse and will never buy another product from them. Inferior product, disgusting customer service. Please learn from my experience.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I created an account just to write this review. THAT'S how frustrated this experience has made me. I bought a 42" Westinghouse TV two days ago. The screws used to attach the base pieces were not included in the packaging. Six screws. SIX. SCREWS. I wrote to their customer service department using a link from Westinghouse's website and a rep replied the next day. The reply consisted of a request for a picture of the serial number on the TV along with a picture of the receipt showing I paid for it. Really, guys? I could waste less time driving to my local hardware store to purchase the screws for less than a dollar. But what the hell, I played along. I took the pictures they requested and shot an email back to them. Here's the cherry on top: my email was RETURNED as "the recipient's mailbox is full." LOL

First: they treat me as a criminal until I complied with their demands of proof, all over six lousy screws. Second: their IT department is, at best, lacking. Silly me would expect a larger email inbox for a pretty sizable corporation. Third: the TV's sound quality is absolutely terrible. The picture is OK, though, and it's being used in a bedroom, so it works fine for the purpose it was purchased for. The Westinghouse name used to be synonymous with quality, but because this country is run by the almighty dollar, quality and service have been sacrificed. Too bad. Welcome to my boycott list, Westinghouse. Have a seat next to Samsung. I really should just return the damned TV to where I bought it but I find I've spent too much time on this already.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

Westinghouse 55 inch Smart 4K ULTRA HDTV lasted for 5 months. I guess that what happens when you buy cheap stuff. Bought it back in May and it all black, no sound or image. Customer service is a joke. I would need to send the TV to them. To get it fix another 300++ dollars.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I bought this TV online from Target 11 months ago and about one month ago the sound started warbling. So I had to remove my sound bar, otherwise it would have driven me bonkers! Since I had a warranty I called Westinghouse. After at least 20 plus emails, I haven't gotten nowhere, because they want a store receipt, even though I send them a picture of the invoice AND my credit card statement, which is NOT good enough. Needless to say, I think I am getting the shaft here!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

If I could give 1/2 a star I would. This TV has a 10 second or more delay between every selection. Many as won't even load because of the lag of this TV. It is the worst experience I have ever had with a TV. It is 2 months old and it has been this way since day one. It was a TV for my bedroom. It's useless in my opinion? I have to use the Amazon stick even though this is a "Smart TV". But the stick works better but still has a delay. Terrible, terrible, terrible.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

Westinghouse 55 inch Smart 4K ULTRA HDTV - Bought this TV via internet and had it delivered without any events. Set it up on the wall and worked fine for about 2 months then I experienced a "no power" issue. I went through an extensive diagnostic period and still no power. The damn thing just would not turn on. I attempted to send it back since it was still under warranty. I found out that the defective TV would have to had been sent back to the manufacturer at my expense; that would have been $350. What a joke; the warranty is a joke and useless; the product is a joke. Don't buy this product. It is N/G.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

Stay away from purchasing any of their products. 55 inch tv died 9 months in at end of August. Contacted them. First they say although warranty states over 50 inches they in-house service they don't. After 2 weeks they determine it's bad and will replace with refurb. Catch was had to pay 25 dollars to recycle it and show them receipt... unrefundable... 6 more weeks and numerous phone calls and emails refurb arrives. Defective... lol... call them yet again... said send pics of tv including serial number and they will have shipping company pick it up and issue refund on tv purchase price less tax only. Forget the recycle fee.

2 weeks after pics sent I get email saying they couldn't read photo of serial number... I used photoshop... cropped picture and rotated 90 degrees. It was clear to me originally... lol... wait another few days... no word so I call... guy finds photo... read fine to him. I guess in 3rd world countries they cannot afford glasses... am still being told conservative estimate until check in hand 4 to 6 more weeks... so 4 months of aggravation minimum for what? No exaggerations in this post. So unprofessional you cannot make this up. Lesson learned... don't buy Westinghouse, Sharp, JVC, Toshiba, Hisense, and Vizio... they are all the same product on the inside owned by same Chinese company now.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I purchased a big screen tv February 5. Mounted it on wall. Was working until September. Went to bed tv was on. Woke up tv is black with a circle type thing in left corner. Contacted Westinghouse and they are saying I impacted tv. Well if they look closer they will see their product is warped in left corner but they are saying I impacted the tv and refuse to help me with this crappy tv. Westinghouse doesn't care about their customers only making big $$$ for the company so now I have a 400$ paperweight and no tv. All consumers, be aware of Westinghouse and do not buy their products. I know Westinghouse nothing will ever be in my house again. So much for buying American. I am hoping posting on here will alert all consumers and hopefully get me some satisfaction.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

Bought my mom a 32" Westinghouse TV (model #WD32HX1120) on Black Friday from Kohl's, and within a few months use, no sound. I took the TV back and expressed concern about the TV not working so soon. I asked the store workers if others had returned their Westinghouse TV for the same reason. Kohl's said they were not aware of any problems with the Westinghouse TVs. They exchanged it for another one in store - same model# WD32HX1120.

My mom used the replacement TV for a few months, and the sound on this second 32" Westinghouse TV stopped working. I just tried to take the TV back to Kohl's only to find their store policy changed and they don't take TVs back without the original receipt, in the original box within 30 days of purchase. I have the exchange receipt, but not the original receipt.

I dread having to tell my Mom, a senior citizen on a fixed income that Kohl's no longer has a fair return policy. I have no working TV for her. I'm more than disappointed that two Westinghouse TVs had the exact same problem. I don't know if all Westinghouse TVs have the same poor quality. Beware. The sound stopped working within a few months of use on two 32" Westinghouse TV's - model #WD32HX1120.

Westinghouse expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Westinghouse got its start over 115 years ago, patenting the rotary steam engine. Throughout the years it has designed and manufactured multiple consumer appliances such as energy efficient light bulbs, LCD TVs and conventional portable and inverter generators. Its generators are designed for powering home appliances in emergency situations, campers and RVs and industrial job sites.

• Portable generators: Westinghouse makes five portable generator models that range from 3,250-10,000 watts. They boast run times of around 10-19 hours when running at a 25 percent load. They also feature weather protected outlets for harsh working conditions and Pulse-Flo TIM Mufflers, which make these models among the quietest on the market.

• Inverter generators: Westinghouse includes three models of generators in its inverter series ranging from 1,000-2,100 watts. They have a run-time of around 13 hours when operating at a 25 percent load. Inverter generators feature a double insulated acoustic hood, asymmetrical fans to allow for quiet operation and a lightweight, ergonomic design.

• Additional features: Westinghouse offers additional features for their generators such as lifting hooks for easy transportation and remote start, which allows you to start your generator from a distance. Additionally, generators come with a smart idle feature that automatically adjusts based on demand, which saves fuel.

• Service and support: Westinghouse offers multiple tools online to make sure your generator stays in working order and operates smoothly. You can register your product online, find a service center, view FAQs, read up on technical service bulletins and view informational videos on all models of generators. They also include details for their power warranty for each model.

• Pricing: Westinghouse lists its three models of inverter generators at $499, $699 and $749. Its portable generators range from $449-$2,899.

• Best for: consumers needing a portable generator for travel or recreational purposes.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs