1.90/5
Based on 106 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Sylvania TV Reviews

Last updated: April 26, 2018

142 Sylvania TV Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 26, 2018

It has a built in DVD player with Dolby digital and HDTV. It has about 6 different picture settings and you can adjust the color and balance easily. I wished the volume could be louder and I can get it louder only if I plug in a audio extension into the audio jack and plug a headset that amplifies the sound by 110 decibels. I am hearing impaired so I have to sit closer to the tv to read the closed CAPTIONS since it's a 20 inch screen and I will sit close enough to hear the tv set. I had to buy a small screen tv as I couldn't carry or handle a larger tv set. I have been happy with the tv set. I really got a good deal on it. The way it's going then it may last another 10 years.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I bought my 19 in. LD TV w/ built-in DVD player in 2008. Love the DVD feature. TV works fine. Last week, my remote control bit the dust. I called Sylvania customer service to see if I could order a new one. Spoke with a nice rep who told me they don't have remotes for that remote in stock and suggested I call a company, Remotes.com. This company builds/refurbishes all types of remotes. I gave the rep the Sylvania TV model number. He assured me he could get a remote built and would ship it that afternoon. Two days late, the new remote arrived, and everything works fine. Sylvania has been my name to trust for many decades, and I'm glad to do business with them.

Get expert buying tips about TV Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I am poverty-stricken and have no money to spare. I got this television on sale and put it on lay-a-way! I haven't had any problems with it for 4 years now! My 32 inch Sylvania Television screen is just the right size. Even with my blurred vision I can see the crystal clear images on screen. It also offers an HD but I am a baby boomer. That means I am not technically savvy enough to know what that means and why I should use it. I love that I can hook up my little cable cords to stream my movies from computer to television.

Original review: July 7, 2017

The TV set is 9 years old. It's not a smart set and has a giant tube in it but it has given a good picture for many years... Now set has a black streak across top when the light from a show is low. For the price, this was a great set when I bought it. It is 37" which is a nice size, not too large. Picture was clear from the start. Will be sad when the tube eventually goes.

Original review: June 28, 2017

It is a 1080 HD, it has the best picture I have ever seen. And when you hook-up a game system it is almost like 3D. No other brand comes close.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sylvania TV?

Original review: June 22, 2017

Works great but lacks some of the modern features. Not able to scale screen to fit what is being shown: i.e., widescreen, letterbox, etc. This TV does not work well with my cable remote device and most features are not compatible with the provider I use.

Original review: March 13, 2017

I bought this TV refurbished 4 yrs. ago and it has worked without problems. This was my first large screen, flat panel TV. Color is good as is the sound. It has serviced me perfectly and is used non-stop almost. A great buy.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2017

We purchased a 32" Sylvania tv for our son for Xmas Dec 16 2016! Today is Jan 16 2017 exactly 1 month from purchase it stopped working, can't control volume on it, shuts off and on, can't control any settings or called Canadian tire. Was transferred 4 times to different people. Told her what happened finally at customer service. She said "If you have receipt", which I do "I can exchange it for another junky sylvania!" She said even with my receipt I won't get money back to purchase a better tv.

They will keep exchanging it till they run out of tv's then I have to deal with the company themselves! So to all you consumers do not buy a sylvania product especially not from Canadian tire! But if you suddenly lose common sense and do purchase one of these junk products make sure you get something in writing that says "I don't want to fool around with coming back and forth exchanging for another the same product." I want my money back to purchase something that last!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2016

In June 2009, I purchased a 19 inch Sylvania LC195SLX television from a Target store in Northern California. Within the first week, vertical blue lines appeared on the screen. Sylvania instructed me on how to return the tv, and they sent me a replacement of the same model. In August 2010 I put this tv in storage and moved to South Dakota.

In October 2010, I purchased a Sylvania LD190SS1 DVD combo 19-inch from a Sears store in Sioux Falls, SD. Exactly 3 years later (October 2013), this second television stopped working. The screen would rotate between solid red and solid blue. I removed the first Sylvania tv from storage in September 2014. Now (August 2016), this first tv is starting to fail exactly the same way as the second Sylvania tv. The screen briefly changes to a solid blue screen and then back to the regular picture.

Do not spend any money getting Sylvania televisions repaired! I paid for repairs on the second tv (one purchased in South Dakota). The repairperson was authorized and had over 50 years experience in tv repair. Within 30 days, the repaired tv failed again! Three strikes and I'm out. I will never purchase another Sylvania television. My experience has been that they fail after 3 years! Every other television that I purchased lasted over 10 years.

Original review: July 28, 2016

I purchased my Sylvania 32 inch flat screen about 8 years ago, and have had no problems whatsoever. The day after Christmas 2015 my house caught on fire, my TV was in the garage, that's where I was using it. The house was a total loss, but the attached garage didn't burn at all. The attic which covered the house and garage had a lot of furniture in it and everything up there burned. I was so upset because my TV was covered with a thick coating of sticky smoke and it was full of ashes and water. I drained out the water and plugged it in and turned it on. It was dead. I threw it out in the trash up by the street.

About 3 days later the trash men hadn't been there yet, so I decided to try plugging it in again to see if it would work, to my amazement it worked. The thick gooey smoke crap that covered the screen was almost impossible to remove. My son said "Let's try oven cleaner", so we did and it worked. This Sylvania TV has given me so many hours of entertainment. I have told this story to so many people and I stand behind Sylvania 100%. After reading these other reviews, I feel very fortunate that I happened to get a good one. Thank you Sylvania.

Original review: April 1, 2016

I bought 2 Sylvania 32 in. TV's for the bedrooms. The first was turned on about 3 times then it just went out and never came back on. The other one I have had for about three years, the same thing, it just went off and never came back on. I'll never buy another Sylvania. Very disappointed.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2016

My Sylvania TV goes up to 100 or down to 0 even if the batteries are removed from the remote control. This is very upsetting specially after coming home from work and wanting to relax by watching TV. I'm very disappointed.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2016

I purchase the Sylvania flat screen TV. After 2 months it stopped working. When it is turned on it show a red screen then a green screen and shuts off. I had a warranty but Sylvania didn't honor it. They wanted me to pay shipping, repair costs, then shipping to get it back. I refuse to put any more money in it. I will never buy another Sylvania.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2015

Apparently numerous consumers have complaints regarding those volume control and nothing is being done to remedy the situation. Off and on for two months I have experienced volume control difficulty. The information in the manual is no help and I am thoroughly dissatisfied with Sylvania customer service.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2015

My only complaint is that it doesn't have a DVD player, but I knew that when I purchased it. The speakers are actually pretty good compared to the last TV I had. It was a different brand and lasted less than a year. It also has a border around the picture which makes the size smaller than you would think. You have a 19-inch set but 3 inches of border around the picture.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2015

32 in Sylvania Dolby, which is PC ready, HDTV -- have owned it for seven years. Capable of closed caption which I use ALL the time. English/Spanish enabled. Picture size adjustable, and I often use the cinema mode. All in all, I have been very happy with this TV.

Original review: July 11, 2015

Whether my tv is on or off it makes clicking noises. Since it's an older tv it's not under warranty.

Original review: July 1, 2015

Flat screen 42-inch tv. 2 black lines in the middle of tv. The lines were a inch long now. They are all the way to the top of my TV. Can you tell me what causes it and if so how do I fix it and how much? Thank you.

Original review: June 24, 2015

There is a problem with interference affecting volume/Menu on my Sylvania 19" special edition TV. I don't know if this is local or common field 'but' it is not coming from my remote because the batteries were out of the remotes. (I think external damages/Effects should be a crime.)

Original review: April 8, 2015

I purchased an 32 in Sylvania Model # LC3200SLX IN 2012. The tv would not turn on or anything after checking all the connections. I took it to a repair shop, and I was told it would cost me $95-$120. The other brands, and older models have last much longer in the earlier years. What is Sylvania's problem? There should be a class action lawsuit filed. And we as the consumer should be able to be reimbursed some if not all for this misrepresentation of this company for these LCD tv(s).

Original review: April 8, 2015

I bought a Sylvania tv in 2011. After one month I watch it, it wasn't turning on. Waste of money. I wouldn't buy a Sylvania product ever in life.

Original review: March 25, 2015

It worked perfectly when I turned it off last night. Today there is no sound. What could it be?

Original review: Feb. 18, 2015

So my parents purchased this TV for me when I went off to college more than 4 years ago (2010) and I have used it very much in my day to day activities, whether it was for hooking up my laptop to have a second monitor, or to connect my game systems and play them on it with my friends. It doesn't see a lot of use from me all the time recently but I have never had any problems with it. All connections are still like they were many years ago (and I have moved hdmi connections in and out of the input side many times) and I think this TV will still be good for another few years as my extra needed laptop monitor. I can see that other customer have had much problems with their screens and the customer service has been bad for them, but in my case, not having to deal with customer support means I had the better end of the stick. Depends on your use for it I suppose. But overall it is a good screen monitor to me.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2015

I will be moving to Hawaii this spring and I will not be needing 2 tv's so I am keeping the smaller of my 2 and would like to sell the 32 in. Sylvania. I have had no problems at all. I watch quite a bit of t.v. since I am retired and home during the day and night. I was trying to get an idea of an asking price since I've had the tv for 4 years. After reading the reviews I'm not going to ask or expect too much. But I must say I've been very lucky compared to the other consumers.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2015

Purchased this tv Nov. 2012 from Target. This was going to be our bedroom tv. Probably gets used about 5 hours a week. Well this past week it just went dead. Will not power on at all. Never ever will I buy another Sylvania product to get only 2 years out of it, and barely used. Big rip-off!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2015

I have a 6 year old 46 inch sylvania lcd tv. I've never had any problems with it until yesterday I've lost all COLOR. Now only black and white with some faint lines of gray thru it. I've unplugged all power cords from tv and infinity box also all the cords connecting them to each other. Blew connector ends and the import of each device and reconnected in same places even tried again with new cords I've never opened before. NO improvement. Any suggestions on what I may try to reboot trouble shoot or just correct this problem. Is it worth it to call in home service / repair or take it to a tv repair shop. I'm quite stressed. Any tv I've ever had before has lasted decade or so before replacing and that pretty much was just for upgrade newer model. In fact one of my younger daughters is using my oldest daughter's first tv in her room now. No problems. Still it is now a big fat heavy bubble back tv 18 years old. HELP me please.

I could be just way too old school and think 6 years working great is way too young to trash but no clue costs of repairs. Doesn't even make me feel any better my dad bought me this 6 years ago and what he paid for it I can get same type lcd and size for more than half LED than what he paid then 3-400 I've seen in walmart nowadays smart tv of course more but darn it buy new repair or is there something pretty simple I can at least try. Thanks, single cheap/bankrupt mom of 4 daughters

Original review: Jan. 3, 2015

My parents bought this tv with their savings and were super excited to finally have a large flat screen tv. Less than a year later it started shutting itself off. My parents were unable to return it to Kmart where it was purchased. It was a complete waste of their money. I have attempted to get it fixed but have found no one who can fix it. My parents live on a fixed social security income and cannot afford to replace the size of this tv. I am upset that Sylvania is apparently ripping people off by what I have read on the consumers sites. Had I read these reviews first I could have saved my parents their money by telling them to purchase a different brand.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2014

Out of nowhere my TV started beeping every one to two minutes. I unplugged all wires - it's still beeping, no power, no cables, nothing. Beep beep beep is all I hear. What the????? Crazy it's driving me. Hello, what's wrong with it? Picture and everything else is fine.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2014

Need a replacement for a Sylvania Netbook SYNET61601X, the 10" Magni Plus Netbook. I've searched for 2 full days and the few places that used to have them say they don't know if they will ever get them in stock again. I use this Netbook in my business and now it's WORTHLESS, can't get any help for contact information from Sylvania. This is POOR customer service- so there goes the name in any future purchases NEVER AGAIN ANYTHING: SYLVANIA!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2014

Purchased my Sylvania 32-inch from K-Mart after Christmas 2011. Power quit less than a year later; the television would not turn on. Took the unit for repair. A new power supply was installed for $100. Less than a year later the exact same thing happened. TV won't turn on. Set is now hanging dead on my wall as I refuse to sink even more money into this defective product. Like everyone here, I will never buy another Sylvania and I will advise anyone in the market to follow my lead.

Sylvania TV Company Information