Sylvania TV

Quit paying for costly home repairs

Sylvania TV Reviews

Quit paying for costly home repairs

143 Sylvania TV Consumer Reviews

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I purchased a 36” Sylvania flat screen TV from Sam’s Club in 2007. It still works great except for the remote. I use mostly Roku programming and run the sound through my Bose stereo system, so haven’t bothered to get a new remote. I will probably get a new, larger TV one of these days, but I think the older Sylvanias are pretty good quality.

Original review: April 26, 2018

It has a built in DVD player with Dolby digital and HDTV. It has about 6 different picture settings and you can adjust the color and balance easily. I wished the volume could be louder and I can get it louder only if I plug in a audio extension into the audio jack and plug a headset that amplifies the sound by 110 decibels. I am hearing impaired so I have to sit closer to the tv to read the closed CAPTIONS since it's a 20 inch screen and I will sit close enough to hear the tv set. I had to buy a small screen tv as I couldn't carry or handle a larger tv set. I have been happy with the tv set. I really got a good deal on it. The way it's going then it may last another 10 years.

Get expert buying tips about TV Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I bought my 19 in. LD TV w/ built-in DVD player in 2008. Love the DVD feature. TV works fine. Last week, my remote control bit the dust. I called Sylvania customer service to see if I could order a new one. Spoke with a nice rep who told me they don't have remotes for that remote in stock and suggested I call a company, Remotes.com. This company builds/refurbishes all types of remotes. I gave the rep the Sylvania TV model number. He assured me he could get a remote built and would ship it that afternoon. Two days late, the new remote arrived, and everything works fine. Sylvania has been my name to trust for many decades, and I'm glad to do business with them.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I am poverty-stricken and have no money to spare. I got this television on sale and put it on lay-a-way! I haven't had any problems with it for 4 years now! My 32 inch Sylvania Television screen is just the right size. Even with my blurred vision I can see the crystal clear images on screen. It also offers an HD but I am a baby boomer. That means I am not technically savvy enough to know what that means and why I should use it. I love that I can hook up my little cable cords to stream my movies from computer to television.

Original review: July 7, 2017

The TV set is 9 years old. It's not a smart set and has a giant tube in it but it has given a good picture for many years... Now set has a black streak across top when the light from a show is low. For the price, this was a great set when I bought it. It is 37" which is a nice size, not too large. Picture was clear from the start. Will be sad when the tube eventually goes.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sylvania TV?

Original review: June 28, 2017

It is a 1080 HD, it has the best picture I have ever seen. And when you hook-up a game system it is almost like 3D. No other brand comes close.

Original review: June 22, 2017

Works great but lacks some of the modern features. Not able to scale screen to fit what is being shown: i.e., widescreen, letterbox, etc. This TV does not work well with my cable remote device and most features are not compatible with the provider I use.

Original review: March 13, 2017

I bought this TV refurbished 4 yrs. ago and it has worked without problems. This was my first large screen, flat panel TV. Color is good as is the sound. It has serviced me perfectly and is used non-stop almost. A great buy.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2017

We purchased a 32" Sylvania tv for our son for Xmas Dec 16 2016! Today is Jan 16 2017 exactly 1 month from purchase it stopped working, can't control volume on it, shuts off and on, can't control any settings or called Canadian tire. Was transferred 4 times to different people. Told her what happened finally at customer service. She said "If you have receipt", which I do "I can exchange it for another junky sylvania!" She said even with my receipt I won't get money back to purchase a better tv.

They will keep exchanging it till they run out of tv's then I have to deal with the company themselves! So to all you consumers do not buy a sylvania product especially not from Canadian tire! But if you suddenly lose common sense and do purchase one of these junk products make sure you get something in writing that says "I don't want to fool around with coming back and forth exchanging for another the same product." I want my money back to purchase something that last!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2016

In June 2009, I purchased a 19 inch Sylvania LC195SLX television from a Target store in Northern California. Within the first week, vertical blue lines appeared on the screen. Sylvania instructed me on how to return the tv, and they sent me a replacement of the same model. In August 2010 I put this tv in storage and moved to South Dakota.

In October 2010, I purchased a Sylvania LD190SS1 DVD combo 19-inch from a Sears store in Sioux Falls, SD. Exactly 3 years later (October 2013), this second television stopped working. The screen would rotate between solid red and solid blue. I removed the first Sylvania tv from storage in September 2014. Now (August 2016), this first tv is starting to fail exactly the same way as the second Sylvania tv. The screen briefly changes to a solid blue screen and then back to the regular picture.

Do not spend any money getting Sylvania televisions repaired! I paid for repairs on the second tv (one purchased in South Dakota). The repairperson was authorized and had over 50 years experience in tv repair. Within 30 days, the repaired tv failed again! Three strikes and I'm out. I will never purchase another Sylvania television. My experience has been that they fail after 3 years! Every other television that I purchased lasted over 10 years.

Sylvania TV Company Information