1.70/5
Based on 66 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

145 Hitachi TV Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 9, 2018

This TV was purchased during the holidays 2015 from Sam’s Club. TV was pretty good, sound not great but overall an OK TV. However, this past week it only has sound with a black screen. Looking at these reviews, this is a common problem but the company does not care. Will never purchase a Hitachi TV again and will recommend against them to friends and family. A TV should last more than 2 years.

Original review: May 3, 2018 I bought this 55-inch Hitachi Roku TV at Best Buy online and used it sparingly over about 18 months as I was only at home about 5-6 months of the year.

Despite this rather limited use, I encountered the same problem as everyone else writing these bad reviews--the TV screen went blank and the sound remained functional. The TV repairman reported the same diagnosis as attested to in other reviews--led lights in the screen are connected in series (like Christmas tree lights), so when one goes out, they all go out. It's not economically practical to repair this defect. With such widespread evidence of these TVs failing, it seems like a design flaw. With no backup from Hitachi, seems like a class action is in order to get them to be responsible. Anyone interested?

Get expert buying tips about TV Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 30, 2018

Owned an HITACHI TV 55" Model LE55A6R9, Serial # CH5EGO5307. Approximately 2 Years old picture and volume just went blank. Saw similar reviews, seems an inherent problem. Is Hitachi trying to fix the issue? These TV's are too expensive to only last 2 years. Shouldn't all electronic devices be getting better? Not worse.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I purchased this 55 inch television on March 23, 2017, and Sunday morning the TV picture would not show but it had sound, so I contacted Hitachi because I see that it was still under warranty so they gave me a case number and I had to wait 24 hours to be contacted after they reviewed my case. So I get an email today saying that they could not do anything about the television. No refund or cannot repair because the panel whatever that mean is discontinued, but I tell you one thing this is one of the worst companies to purchase anything from and I will never buy another one of their products. I just wish I would have read these reviews before spending almost $500 dollars on a television that only work for 10 months top.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

I purchased the 55 inch Roku Hitachi TV in 11/2015. In 08/2016 the picture went out and all I had was sound. I contacted Hitachi since the TV was still under warranty. They gave me the option of a refund or a replacement TV. Thinking it was a fluke, I opted for the replacement. Now it is 02/2018 and the same thing is happening. The TV is out of the warranty period with the manufacturer but I did purchase a 4 year extended warranty when I purchased the television. I will be contacting them to see what my options are. If they offer a refund, I will gladly take and never purchase another Hitachi TV again. Unfortunately I purchased a 60 inch for my daughter for Christmas. No problems yet but I also purchased an extended warranty on that one too.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hitachi?

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

The battery compartment slide door will not secure and consistently slides open whenever you use the remote. I contacted them to get a replacement door - probably 15 cent item - and they told me they would not do anything for that because "unfortunately that is not covered" - they even said that some of their customers use tape to secured the door - Huh!!! Not only is that an admission of product failure but it indicates just how much the organization falls into the schlepper category - embarrassing! In all fairness the 55" TV Model 55R7 and remote work fine but this exchange tells me a lot... Purchased at Sam's Club 5/26/16.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

I bought an 55 in Hitachi Roku from Sam's on July/2016, now I have sound and a black screen. Unbelievable that this TV lasted a little over 1 year... Who wants to buy a TV every year... Do not buy this brand. I'm very disappointed.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

Purchased a 55" Hitachi TV from Sam's Club during the holidays of 2015. TV was manufactured in Sept of 2015. It's not even 2 years later and the tv has stopped working. Should have read the terrible reviews about Hitachi before making the purchase. Lesson learned.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

Got a Hitachi TV from Sam's Club and at less than 2 1/2 years old it has completely stopped working. Never buying that brand again. Same experience with a Samsung TV. It made it to 3 years and quit. The Hitachi was a 50" and the Samsung was a 40". Throw away economics I guess but I do not have the money for it.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

When we purchased the tv it worked fine for 5 months. Then one day it refused to come back on. The red light comes on and won't progress to blinking blue and red. We tried rebooting, changing batteries in remotes. This model has no buttons which is insane. It only works by remote. Hitachi does not respond whatsoever. If I do get someone it is terminal hold. Never will we buy Hitachi again.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

Purchased this TV from Sam's Club March of 2016 and the LED back light failed April of 2017. It was 13 months old and Hitachi basically told me to pound sand. This unit now has a very bad reputation for LED light failure leaving the TV with sound and a faint image if you shine a flashlight on the screen. I can fix it myself but I should not have to on a new TV. I have 2 other Samsung 60" and 1 Vizio 80" that have been absolutely trouble free for 4 to 5 years now. Hitachi wired the LED lights like Christmas lights and when one fails the TV is a boat anchor unless you are talented and unafraid to dig into the innermost workings. I would definitely steer clear of Hitachi.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

I normally buy LG electronics and appliances due to their longevity and great customer service. This 49" Hitachi television was on sale last summer (2016) at Sam's Club and it looked to have a great picture and included what appeared to be a decent warranty. I should have researched the reviews first and read the fine print in the warranty. I plugged it in last July and it lasted just long enough to exceed the One year "limited" warranty Hitachi provided for a brand new product. The picture went out early this month (Sept. 2017). It would appear this is common since Hitachi customer service seemed pretty familiar with the problem. Bottom line is they won't fix it; they say it is out of warranty. Which, in truth, it is. By about 5 weeks, give or take a few days.

I started looking around on the reviews and sure enough, it seems to be a consistent issue in the past couple of years with Hitachi TV's: TV picture fails just after, or not long after the one year warranty expires. I followed all of Hitachi's instructions for mounting and operating, so that's not a factor. After a week of phone calls, emailed photos and receipts to Hitachi customer service, here is Hitachi's reply to my request for assistance in replacing the picture tube:

"Your LE43A509A / CH6AMO4999 is outside the coverage of Hitachi’s 12 month limited manufacturer warranty. If you would like to appeal this decision, you may do so in writing by sending a letter to our Customer Service Appeals Committee. Please understand that a response will be sent to you at least 30 days after the Committee’s receipt of your letter. After filing your appeal, all communication in regards to your case will be required to come direct from the Appeals Committee as they function above and outside of the 800-HITACHI call center. Please include in your appeal: a. your full contact information, b. complete bill of sale, c. any prior service history of the unit, d. your desired outcome. You can write to this address if you opt to appeal the case: Hitachi America DSD Customer Service Appeals Committee, 2420 Fenton St., Suite 200, Chula Vista CA 91914. I recommend you send the letter via trackable means so that you can ensure the letter is delivered."

In my initial call to customer service support and in my subsequent emails, I have provided them with photos, videos and all of the documentation they are requesting here. There has been no previous service on the tv, it's barely a year old. So if I'd like to jump through more of the same hoops and resend all of the info I've already sent, I can send a letter via USPS registered mail, And then have the privilege of waiting at least 30 days for a reply, again via US mail. How is it that an electronics company which sells mass amounts of modern entertainment, appliances and communications equipment would prefer to communicate with it's customers via stamped letters? I'm going to go and purchase another LG since the 39" LG TV I purchased in 2008 is still working beautifully, as are my other LG products. I will chalk this up as a lesson in Latin: Caveat Emptor.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I purchased a 55" Hitachi HDTV (model #LE55A6R9) in [late] November 2015 from Sam's Club. On September 5, 2017, the picture and sound does not work on the television. I always felt Hitachi was a great brand but am disappointed that the TV went out in less than 2 years. Shouldn't this TV last longer than 18 months? Unfortunately, I did not buy the extended warranty but felt I would get a longer TV life than 18 months. I emailed Hitachi support on September 5, 2017 to express my disappointment/concern. As of date I have not gotten any type of response from them.

Original review: March 13, 2017

The Hitachi TV was a good set--there is no picture now--replacement parts N/A and costly to repair. New sets are cheaper. The TV had a projection in it. The set died in May of 2016--bought in 1999? In checking on prices to get it fixed, the part was either not available or over $300 available from overseas (Japan?). Newer TVs can be purchased for $600--we paid almost $1700 at the time. The TV started having problems about 2011 (continuous picture wouldn't stop), some interference that became annoying as it was too often. Then, one day there was no picture--the sound was OK. Trying to play a movie on CD was awkward--2 remotes are needed.

Original review: March 10, 2017

I have rang the company Tempo about my tv which is only 13 months old. The first time last year the remote would not work. Also if tv did display initialize you can't do anything with it other than turn tv off as at power point. They sent out new remote plus usb with update on it. I installed the usb and tv worked fine for couple of months. Now its not working properly again, I rang tempo again. They sent out repairman on the 6th of March who said the motherboard was not working properly and I would get a call from Tempo.

As of the 9th I hadn't heard from them so I rang, spoke to a women who gave me a name and said she would ring back. Well it didn't happen so today I rang again and spoke to a man who his name. He checked about tv and said they didn't a part for my tv and I would have to wait at least another month for it to be fixed and also told me the women I spoke to by the name I was give didn't work there so now I am waiting for the guy ring me back and tell me what they will do as I said I wasn't happy and was going to Fair Trading. BEWARE. DO NOT BUY THIS BRAND OF TELEVISION.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2017

Absolutely poor service. Wrong item delivered. Devastating issue management. Poor customer service. Deliver wrong but expect customer in own time to go to store to return wrong product. No pick up. 3rd world service. Do not buy anything!

Original review: Dec. 22, 2016

We have 2 32" TVs both manufactured on Oct 15, 2015. We bought them Dec 19, 2015 and both broke within a week of each other... same exact way. Now Hitachi is says it is not their issue and they will not replace the TVs. I will NEVER buy another one of their products. If you are look for electronics I would recommend stay far away from ANY Hitachi product.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2016

My Hitachi TV started having issues after 5 months. TV is still under warranty, so I called Hitachi and they sent a repairman. The new part they installed didn't fix the problem. Called them back and they said they would replace the unit if it was in stock in their warehouse or send me a check to refund the purchase price.. They sent me paperwork that I signed and returned. I received a call two weeks ago saying that they had the replacement and it was being shipped FedEx two day. They said they'd call back when my tracking number was generated.

Waited a week. No call, so I called them. They said they were waiting on the warehouse. Waited a few more days, called back today. Their excuse was that they ran out of boxes to ship the TV in and hoped to have some next week. They're lying. I don't believe they have a warehouse full of TV's without boxes. I'll never ever buy anything Hitachi again.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2016

This TV was purchased from Sam's Club for use in a business. We hooked the TV up to a video conferencing unit on a commercial high-grade surge protector on a very stable 800.00 commercial TV stand. The TV was only used for an hour on 3 occasions. On the third time being used, the screen turned to just colored lines going up and down the screen. Knowing that the TV was only a few months old and we had all of our receipts, we should have nothing to worry about. HOWEVER when I contacted HITACHI to have the TV repaired they informed me that because a business had purchased the TV that the warranty was no longer valid and they would not replace or repair the TV. I was SHOCKED!! I have never heard of a manufacturer doing this.

I can only say DO NOT BUY HITACHI PRODUCTS!!! This is ludicrous behavior from a manufacturer of a product being sold by Sam's Club who sells to business. We have contacted and are in contact with Sam's Club to let them know what is going on with this manufacturer. They should not sell products from this manufacturer if this is how they treat their customers. I personally recommend to hundreds of business, products on a regular basis. I will recommend that HITACHI PRODUCTS NOT EVER be purchased under ANY circumstances as this is not the kind of support I wish anyone to have to deal with EVER. What else can I say but DO NOT BUY HITACHI PRODUCTS as they don't care and don't support the products they sell. You would be throwing your money in the trash by purchasing HITACHI Products. This is an absolutely unbelievable response too from a company this large in this day and age.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2016

I have had my TV now for 6 years and it has been FANTASTIC! Best TV I have ever owned and would recommend to anyone and everyone. It was easy to hook up, has a beautiful picture, and the sound is fantastic. I bought it off of the Walmart website and it was delivered to my store without any problems whatsoever. I just ordered another one the same way I did the first one, only this one is a 65" HDTV with once again a great price. My 40" will go in my bedroom. Thanks HITACHI for a great product.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2016

I buy a Hitachi tv 32" but there is no option of set the country or language as india or hindi. Thats why I cant able to see the dual audio movie and there is no other option. Please help.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2016

The TV worked great for one & half years then all of a sudden the picture turned mostly blue & yellow with stripes. Also transparent. I'm not sure what to do. A TV should last longer than that. I do not have any paperwork on the TV.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2016

While under warranty we came home to find our TV on the floor. The leg had broken causing it to fall. The Hitachi company said because it fell on the floor the warranty was no good. When the leg broke what else could happen but for the TV to fall. Bad company if they do not stand behind this. Stay away from them. Also it is a safety issue. A child could have been killed if standing or sitting on the floor when this happens. This is an issue that needs to be made public.

Original review: June 2, 2016

My TV is only 3 months old. The LED light went out. Hitachi send a TV repairman that said he could not fix it so they were supposed to email me something to sign where I could go get a new TV. This was 2 weeks ago and I still not received anything. I like the TV, I don't like being lied to from their company in California. At this point I want my money back and I never will buy from them ever again.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2016

Most expensive TV I EVER bought. The thing is the tv sucks. Freaking horrible. Right speaker blew in 5 months. There's this horrible whining noise coming from the back of the tv. 2400.00 piece of **. No need for a #. I'll never EVER buy a Hitachi again. Funny because they used to be top notch.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2015

Having been a TV repairman in the past I know that manufacturers fit a weak link in the TV (mainly in the Power Supply Unit) and true to form our PSU failed at about 15 months. I replaced the failed parts and the TV has lasted 7 years up to date without problem. My TV is a Hitachi 50" P50XR01U and has modular boards making it an easy repair job.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2015

My Hitachi TV had a great picture and sound. For 2 years, I couldn't ask for a better television. After that, the problems started and never ended. There was no help from Hitachi. It had a faulty part that I was not aware of until later and I could buy a new one for what it would cost to fix mine. Never will I own a Hitachi again.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2015

The TV is of great quality. Mine osba 65" box big screen TV that have been problem and headache free. I have for it TVs and all attachments Hitachi's.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2015

I've bought Hitachi TV 8 years ago and never had complaints. Perfect colors, images, never needed repair, never had any problem. Highly recommended. The technology changes very fast and I am sure there are better televisions now but unit is working well, we'll keep it.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2015

Just recently purchased a Hitachi 24" 1080p for my bedroom. Not a smart TV, but does have HDMI port and RCA jacks for audio. Picture quality is very good, but the audio is horrible. Speakers are only 2w each and are incapable of producing any realistic sound. A sound-bar or external-powered speakers are a must, even for a television that sits at the foot of the bed. TV set-up requires you to choose home mode or retail mode. This is ridiculous. Retail mode supposedly reverts back to default factory settings when powered off. Home mode is supposed to remember your setting choices at shut-down. Since when is a TV engineered to sit on a display shelf in a store instead of being sold to consumers? Home mode doesn't even remember previous volume settings. On start-up, volume is on mute and must be changed immediately to required levels.

Hitachi TV Company Information