Toshiba TV

Compare TV Brands

Research top TV Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Bought Toshiba 47L6200U TV from TigerDirect in August of 2012 and after a recent firmware update it is stuck on the red Toshiba logo when it is turned on. After doing some research online, many people have the same issue. Contacted Toshiba and they were absolutely no help. It seems this TV has a defect and Toshiba will not stand by their product. The TV needs a new mainboard and the part is not in stock anywhere. My options are to throw the TV into the dump or buy a used mainboard that may have the same problem. I will never buy another Toshiba product again (have bought to laptops in the past) and will not recommend their products to anyone. Feeling duped.

4 yr old TV - Screen stays on for ten seconds then goes black. Cable output continues but without picture. Went online and guess what? Toshiba no longer offers any support for TVs. AVOID TOSHIBA AT ALL COSTS. It's a corporation that does not stand behind its products.

I purchased two 50" Toshiba tvs #50L3400U on 4-29-14. Before the year was up I began having trouble with both of them. They sent a tech out to replace all the boards in both tvs. [They would not respond to remote or manual commands.] This fixed prob for a while. Now 10-26-2016 tv #1 only 1/2 screen lights up. I'm done. I went out and bought a samsung. I will never buy anything from Toshiba again. Tv # two still has command problems.

We purchased a Toshiba 49" flat screen. When we got it home and hooked it up, the base had a wobble to it, so we contacted Best Buy. They stated that if there were issues, the manufacturer would be responsible with the warranty. We were nervous but went ahead and set it up with the base that came with the tv. It fell over, smashing the screen and breaking our PlayStation in the process. We contacted Toshiba. After many unreturned phone calls, a visit from Best Buy (who stated the base was MADE incorrectly), we got a denial for the warranty.

I contacted the attorney general. The letter I just received from them stated they could not go further with Toshiba because they were uncooperative. The letter Toshiba sent the attorney general stated that we assembled the base incorrectly. Well the legs only logically fit in one way and we used the instructions so that would be a no. I am contacting Toshiba one last time to resolve this matter. I purchased a tv from a different manufacturer because I don't trust them with any other issues that may arise with a new tv. We will not purchase their equipment for our home or their AC units for our HVAC business. They will never receive another dollar from us. Save yourself some frustration and buy a tv from someone else. Their call center is also in India and they couldn't understand anything we were saying to them.

I purchased a Toshiba LED television just over 3 1/2 years ago. About 3 months ago the television would turn on but I would only get audio--no video. I had to take my television to a local repair shop to fix the problem. It turned out that a diode had to be replaced. Toshiba no longer supplied the diode. The part had to be shipped from China. Apparently this problem with Toshiba televisions is not uncommon.

I contacted Toshiba online with suggestions on how to fix the problem. Also, since the television was only 3 1/2 years old I asked Toshiba if it would help with the cost of fixing the television. I asked for the name of someone to whom I could talk about my problem. Toshiba's online service was of no use at all. Customer service from Toshiba was non-existent. A television should last longer than 3 1/2 years. Also, the manufacturer should stand behind its product. Fortunately my local television repair shop was able to fix the problem. No more Toshiba products in my future.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toshiba?

I have owned a Toshiba 55" TV when the co-axial cable input fell out of the back of the tv. I waited 3 months for parts when they finally told me parts aren't available so they would replace. They came by and then told me it isn't warrantied and I basically out the money I paid for it. They said the TV was gouged in the back. I told they I would go to the store and if anyone could tell the difference between mine and one in the store I would buy them a new TV... Mine is not gouged and looks brand new.

We called Toshiba and in order to talk to someone in service we must pay a fee. What is wrong with customer service these days? We have used this TV for not quite 3 years and the screen is black, sound but no picture. Are they built to last this short a time?

I purchased new 55 inch Toshiba LED TV Model # 55L6200U; SN C45224T16242L1 from Best Buy on Jan. 5, 2013. From this January, the TV intermittently started getting stuck on Toshiba logo when started. However, from approx. March 2016 onwards, the TV is permanently stuck on Toshiba logo! I lodged a complaint with Toshiba on May 27, 2016 under ticket # **. On Jun. 27, the company called and asked me to take my TV to Japan Video Service Ltd., Edmonton for diagnostic check to be paid by Toshiba. On July 8th, after getting a report from Japan Video, Toshiba informed me that the mainboard required replacement but the part wasn’t available with them therefore, they would not pay for the part or the labour for the repair. Today, Toshiba informed me that they had sourced the part from CCSI Ontario but since the part is not from “their stock”, Toshiba would not pay for the repairs.

From several online posts made by customers since Nov. 2013, it is implied that Toshiba was aware of this product defect right from the year 2013, when I purchased the TV. It is also implied that lack of quality is the cause of defect. Rather than proactively addressing the problem by contacting customers and replacing the defective parts, Toshiba chose not to even stock the part necessary to service any complaints just 3 years after they sold the brand new product to me! This speaks volumes about the attitude of the company towards customers and the quality of service they want to provide.

For the last one and half months, I patiently worked with them requesting them to resolve my complaint but to no avail! Therefore, I am left with no option but to go to public forums to try and get a solution to the problem. I request Toshiba Canada to act like any decent company by owning the problem, providing good quality replacement parts and pay for the repairs of my TV.

I am writing this review due to the bad reviews of others. We have had our 40" Toshiba Flat Screen TV for 7 years and have not had any problems with it at all. The color, sound and picture are all still perfect. We have been very happy with this purchase, recommend it, and will purchase another Toshiba when this one does die, but hopefully, that will be after we die. LOL.

My 15 yr. old autistic son saved enough money to buy his own TV set. Budget was limited so choices were down to unknown Chinese brands and a 32" Toshiba. Since my wife and I readily recognized Toshiba as an old Japanese brand, we went for it. The TV tested fine at the store but the moment we reached home and plugged it in, the display became inverted. We returned the TV to the store the very next day and after spending some time in the technical booth, they replaced it with a new one. Again, they tested it and it was fine.

This time it took a year before it inverted. Being out of warranty, the nearest authorized service center was charging us $150 to fix it. It took me six more months to find another authorized service center that charged much lower explaining it was only a firmware reset procedure but then the TV would invert every now and then and the service center was an hour away so it became a hassle. Up to now, the service staff still can't figure out why my son's TV behaves that way. They claim it was the only unit doing that. The TV is again inverted and I'm about to replace it with a new one from another brand out of my own pocket to tune down the owner's nervous breakdown.

LED display faulty. My complaint no is **. I had lodged this complaint to Toshiba customer care in June. 15 days no information from the customer care. After 15 days, when I called them, they told me that "you will get a new TV." After 1 week I called them - they told me "we have initiated a refund for the case." Manpreet is a person who deals with all the refunds. He told me call on Tuesday, i.e 10th of April, but he is not receiving my call. Got a call from Charu **. She told me to give the confirmation on Tuesday. She is also not receiving my call and I had mailed customer care for 20 times. Charu is not responding on the same mail. Please suggest me what should I do.

We haven't used our Toshiba TV for a while now. When we transferred to a different house, we brought the TV and tried to use it. It wouldn't pick up TV signals so I bought a new antenna to check if that is the cause of the problem. It picked up TV signals and I'm surprised that the sound quality is better than my current TV. The low range sound (bass) is crisp that it doesn't overpower the treble. The current TV I use, I had to buy a new but cheap sound system to improve the sound quality and the Toshiba's sound is better even. I've seen negative reviews about Toshiba laptops but their TVs are awesome! This is Japanese technology.

I bought a 50" Toshiba TV and figured the product should last at least 3-5 yrs... Good, reputable brand. I didn't purchase the extended warranty. After less than a year and a half, I am seeing the top third of the screen turning dark. Best Buy Geek Squad told me by the time they came out, charged for the service and parts, I might as well buy a new one. I will not purchase another Toshiba product. Had trouble with my laptop as well.

I purchased a TOSHIBA laptop and within 23 days it wouldn't even boot. Called Toshiba and they sent me a box for repair that took more than a week. Then when I sent it back to them by some Fedex ground box that they sent, it took a week to reach and week to seemingly repair. Was supposed to receive it 23rd march, but didn't. Finally made it to my door on 24th... guess what. Not repaired!!! They are not willing to replace or refund! Are we in the US??

So I bought the TV and it was working great until the 14th month and it wouldn't turn on. So we called Toshiba and they said, "You don't have the extended warranty." So they gave me a # for a repair shop all tech repair. So we brought it and they charged me a $200 plus $45.00 deposit to see what was wrong with it. And three months later you don't have a picture. I called again and they said we can't do anything about it. So now I have to buy a new TV after I spent 950 on a 50 inch TV. This product is garbage. I recommend to NEVER BUY THIS PRODUCT EVER. If somebody wants to sue I would go for it.

MY ONLY DISSATISFACTION IS THE INSTRUCTIONS. On the back are a mired of places of possible connections. Lay on my back looking up and trying different combinations. Got AT&T U-verse to work but never accomplished a CD or DVD configuration. Made me remember the first Honda M/C I worked on. The SHOP MANUAL was written by a Japanese person and translated by a Japanese person with a poor knowledge of English. Phrases close to: "Raise the Window Down".

It's easily the most sophisticated, easy to use, and reliable television I've ever owned. Everyone should have a television this wonderful. There's simply nothing about it that I would change.

I like them enough to buy more than 1. I bought several brands. Sanyo, Sharp, Emerson, Sony, RCA. They were all good tv's. My favorite is Samsung. Buying a new one today, 50".

I bought my 40" Toshiba for our bedroom. Plenty big for the distance between our bed/pillows and the wall we hung the TV on and the size of our bedroom. Other than the obstacles of dealing with DIRECTV whenever we attempt to do a pay per view and our DIRECTV Genie is challenged at random times it seems the Toshiba performs wonderful.

My Toshiba TV has been very reliable and has most of the features I like. It is about 5 years old and is a 55" LED TV. The sound quality of this TV is good but not great. We do have a sound system attached but very seldom use it as the sound from the TV's quite adequate. The colors are very good and when the cable is working good, it has no problem keeping up with the action on movies or sports.

Good for live shows. Lots of ports and can connect to many devices. Good picture with HD menu is easy to use. Good scan for quick channels and sideways ports.

I have a 52' inch Toshiba tv that is only 3 years old. It has recently started to turn itself off then back on again. I have tried unplugging it, disconnecting it from the cable, resetting it and nothing has worked. I have spoken with Toshiba and they have said, "They have no idea what is the issue and could not offer any suggestions". They have also said they have had no other complaints which is not true because if you look online there are numerous complaints for the same thing. It is ridiculous that you spend so much money on something just to have issues in only 3 years.

We have Toshiba sets in our house and have had very good service, color and reception from all of them. Two are connected to DISH Network and one is on a conventional antenna and the reception is equally clear. I am an older person and have not had any problem with the controls.

No issues. Beautiful and lifelike picture. I don't use the other features of the T.V. so it would not be fair to comment on these. However, switching back and forth from my DVD bluray and the T.V. requires the original remote and is not compatible with the remote for my satellite.

Have owned either Toshiba or Sony my entire life. Toshiba has never let me down. Sony has become a little overpriced but still a good set. I sold video products in my earlier years and always recommended Toshiba.

I have a Toshiba 19C100U. I find the instruction book a bit screwy and have a hard time hooking up other devices to it. But I am old, maybe that's the problem. Also, the guy in the store in Las Vegas that sold it to me was very rude.

Do not know the model of Toshiba but it lasted 23 years and gave us no problems. We would buy the same again without question. We are getting a new one soon as we want a larger screen.

Bought a Toshiba years ago. Never had any problem with the television. It lasted for years. I recently took it to east texas and it is still working good. Take care of your product it will last. The Toshiba was a big screen 55 inch. Now the Lg is an excellent product.

I have a mid-size Toshiba TV that is about a year old. It is almost useless as an over-the-air model. There is a huge amount of static and a lot of pixel loss during use. Actors just stop talking for sometimes one or two minutes on screen as it just sits there frozen. My old LG television which was used for the same purpose in the same location as the Toshiba was 100% better. It is also almost impossible to change the channel on the Toshiba TV itself and the remote works only when it feels like it, even with new batteries. Do not purchase a Toshiba TV if you are going to use it for over-the-air programming.

I'm not sure how old it is. Too heavy to move (CRT type) up on my chest of drawers. In my bedroom it has worked flawlessly since new. I use it every night before bed & in the mornings when I awake. It's a 27" as long as it works. Thanks for reading this report of satisfaction of my tv.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

• Large format sizes: Toshiba TVs are ideal if you need televisions in a bar or office, as they are geared more toward commercial- and professional-grade large-format displays. The 4K Ultra HD displays are built to last with a three-year warranty.
  • 4K Ultra HD: Superior picture quality is achieved with this new technology.
  • 3-year warranty: A long warranty covers you against damages.
  • Larger than life: Use more than one screen to create video walls. The MontageSeries' ultraslim 3.5mm bezel-width edges seamlessly blend together to create one giant screen.
  • Superior refresh rate: At 120Hz refresh rate, Toshiba delivers twice the refresh rate of standard display screens so moving images are displayed without any motion blur.
  • Best for Researchers and movie and TV connoisseurs.

Compare TV Brands