Samsung TV

Compare TV Brands

Research top TV Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

In May 2016 I ordered a Samsung Smart TV LED J5200 Series DIRECT from Samsung.com website. Received an email with confirmation and an order #. The shipping confirmation included the carrier name, (Not FedEx or UPS. Some off the wall service that I'd never heard of, AGS.) address it was to be shipped to, the serial # of the product, but no tracking number. That should have given me a clue that everything would go downhill from there. No delivery came. Called Samsung, got the name and phone # of carrier. I had to call them to find out why it had not been delivered. I was told they only come to my area once a week and they came but couldn't get in subdivision to deliver. Evidently the person who created the shipping label did not include the special instructions I had provided. That was a clue that I was in for more headaches.

Another week went by and finally an unmarked white van with 2 guys show up with the TV. I have no idea if it had been riding around in their van the whole time or it had been taken off the first delivery truck and safely stored until the next delivery date. We were remodeling the room it was to go in so the set sat in the unopened box in another room. The box didn't look damaged so we didn't see the need to open immediately. When we were ready, we put the TV in the entertainment center, hooked it up according to directions... Got nothing. No picture, no sound. Thought we might have hooked it up incorrectly. Nope... That wasn't it. Thought it might have been a problem with our internet provider as this was the first Wi-Fi Smart TV we've purchased.

Cable guy came out and got the same thing... No video, no audio, just a blank screen. Cable guy tried several electrical outlets... Nothing. He hooked up another set to same outlet we'd used with our prior TV and the one we planned to use with the new set. Worked perfectly. The brand new TV was obviously defective. So we thought... No problem, it's brand new under warranty, we'll take to a Samsung authorized repair shop. When my husband took it in he was told we needed a "ticket #" from Samsung authorizing them to repair it.

Came home, called Samsung and that's when we found out their Customer Service Dept has absolutely no idea what they're doing!! We were given ticket # after ticket # because they insisted the set had to be serviced in our home. Well that's nice and convenient except we live in a rural area that has no other Samsung approved repair shop other than the one my husband had taken it to.

Every time we called we got the same answer... "Repairman needs to come to your home". OK that's not going to happen so asked for a refund of the purchase price. Customer Service required a copy of our receipt. Samsung did not provide a regular receipt as if we'd gone into a Best Buy or other retail store. They only sent information via email... From Samsung.com with the order #, model number, serial number and shipping information. So I forwarded the original email I had received from Samsung with all the information necessary to show we had purchase the TV. I had paid for the TV with my PayPal Credit account (6 months no interest option) instead of a credit card or debit card. I could have also sent a copy of my PayPal statement. Nope. They INSISTED that I send the purchase "receipt".

We went round and round and round over this for months. I asked repeatedly what type of "receipt" did Samsung furnish when someone ordered a product directly from their site Samsung.com... No one knew. Every person we spoke with had the same answer. And every time we called we had to explain the whole situation over and over. Supposedly their calls are recorded for training purposes. But they're not trained to make notes in an order when a customer calls with a problem. This went on for 3 MONTHS!!! The warranty was about to expire. Got a solicitation from Samsung suggesting we purchase an extended warranty. We even asked if they could send that info with the model and serial # on it then surely that's more proof of purchase. Nope. They all insisted on a "receipt".

We were connected to their "escalation" dept for a resolution since the regular clowns in the Customer Service Circus didn't have a clue how to proceed. We got the same exact response... Got to have a "receipt". So all over again I sent the same email that had gone to half dozen CSR. The one from Samsung.com with the order #, model and serial number. Was told we'd receive a call within 2 days. Didn't happen. Here I must add that every time we called we had to go through an automated system, were out on hold for long periods of time all to get the same clueless response.

So, called Samsung back for the umpteenth time. Got someone in the "escalation" dept named Nelson. Had to tell the whole story again... For the umpteenth time. In exasperation I said that all we originally wanted to do is have the thing repaired. But y'all won't let us take it to a repair shop. There is NO ONE that is going to come out here and look at it. Everyone wants a "receipt" to show we purchased a TV. Samsung needs to create a receipt other than an email so we can get a ticket # and Samsung needs to authorize us to take it to a shop for repair or refund the money. FINALLY this Nelson guy gives me a "ticket" number to take to the Samsung authorized repair shop.

How much you want to bet that when we take it in there will be some excuse that whatever is wrong with it won't be covered under warranty and we'll have to go through this nightmare all over again. I suspect the TV bounced around in the van of the carrier that took 2 weeks to deliver it to us. If you DO purchase a Samsung product (I never will again) make sure you DO NOT PURCHASE IT DIRECTLY FROM SAMSUNG... Or you'll be sorry!!!

Bought a Samsung 42" Smart TV in 2011. One morning in 2014, turned it on the pic had a double image!! Called Samsung, they said, so sorry nothing that could do for me. So I called a TV repairman and he did his best to fix, but said a faulty part was to blame and the part from Samsung was 600.00 more than the TV was worth. Well, he corrected the double image but there is a visible line down the middle of the screen. Being a senior, and only have #SS I have no money to buy another TV. So I just live with this obtrusive line down the middle. Will never ever buy another Samsung product again!!! They suck as a company.

I received a Samsung TV as a GIFT and would rather have PAID for a better TV. This one can rarely if ever find the internet and has to UPDATE 2 or 3 times a week. I will NEVER buy a Samsung product, and if I receive one as a gift WILL RETURN IT IMMEDIATELY.

I bought my Samsung 65-inch Curved 7 series TV two months ago, all the sudden there is a yellow line straight down the middle. I called service, they log in and they see nothing, it's two months old and $1500+ tax me. I sent pictures of the yellow line and have to wait to see if someone will come and fix, my opinion this TV should be taken back and replaced, do not buy Samsung products, I knew it, everything they make is horrible. I just bought a kitchen full of appliances and I refused to buy their product because their wash machine catch fire like their phones, but yet I bought this piece of junk. Good thing I can afford another TV if I have to. But listen to me. Do not buy any Samsung product. Even if it's cheaper don't buy it. Total garbage.

Samsung led me to believe that there was a redeemable Google Play credit worth $125 with the purchase of my new TV UN65MU800DFXZA, but when I attempted to cash in this credit, their system told me that my TV model did not qualify for the credit. When I dialed their support number, they kept me on hold for almost an hour until I just gave up. Their phone support is nonexistent; I'm considering returning this TV to Costco as this strikes me as a bait and switch.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Samsung Computers and Monitors?

I purchased a Samsung 60" Smart Television approximately two years ago. Within seven months of my purchase the television begins continuous rebooting, I called Samsung and their support system was unhelpful. I turned the television off for two hours, and this seemed to correct the problem. However, this has been an ongoing problem for two years now. I did not purchase an extended warranty. I performed research and found that others also had this happen.

I will never purchase another product from Samsung. I am sharing my experience here because others need to know what to expect. Hopefully, this review will help save someone money. Years ago I had a Sony Trinitron TV, it was old and outdated but it never let me down. Samsung should hang their heads in shame. Wouldn't it be more prudent to make a great product and have loyal customers that buy your wares? The only thing I can say for sure at this point is that I will steer clear of all Samsung products, phones included. I will not give another dime to a company that took me for over $800.00, even if the item is on sale.

Been a huge Samsung fan, I had purchased number of items in the past with satisfactory results. I had issues with my Samsung S6 (won't charge at all), which was fixed by Samsung under warranty. However it does not work the same, restarts/heats up but I just live with it. In Dec. 2016 I purchased 3 4K TVs (one 55-inch and two 65-inch: UNKS8000 model). Been a joint family we required 2 TVs. We opened one 55 and one 65-inch TVs right away and are still enjoying it. We had not set up our second TV viewing area and hence had not opened the box for the 3rd TV. Last week I opened the box and put the TV on a stand (no mounting involved). It looked beautiful.

As I switched on the TV (yes directly out of the original packing and into the stand) to my horror I found it cracked from inside. The picture was blacked out in the area around the crack. I immediately called the ecommerce team to report the issue. I was initially promised a return and refund (cause this TV was discontinued wonder why?). After couple of days of no feedback, I called them up only to be told that the return was denied due to >30 day rule. I asked them what they would have done had my payment bounced after 30 days? Will they just forget about that?

They transferred me to the Warranty Department and said they will definitively take care of it. Warranty Department was a bigger joke, just by looking at one pic from one angle they concluded it was a physical damage? How can damage happen in original Samsung packaging with no visible damage to exterior. How can a TV screen break in the inside with virtually no signs of damage/trauma on the outside? Are their TV so fragile? Or made of cheap material/faulty design. They charge premium prices and provide such poor quality material. During this time Samsung customer service was one of the worst I experienced and I would definitely not buy or recommend any Samsung products to anyone. Any Company that does not stand behind its products and blames the customers under the vile of physical damage should not be tolerated.

Please mark my words. Do not spend 4 figure $ on their good looking but fragile TVs. Not just this aspect of it, I am facing issues with the so-called Smart aspect of it. Frequently Netflix app does not work, it gives an error stating to contact Samsung Care with some weird error. Their internet connectivity sucks. The internet is full of such reviews, wish I had opened my eyes before buying. Never again will I buy anything from Samsung. I am willing to take fight to the next level, I am willing to provide my TV to any group that is willing to prove that Samsung's theory of physical damage is so wrong. They have not only turned back a loyal customer, but also harmed their reputation a long way.

We purchased a 55 inch Samsung Ultra HD TV and were incredibly disappointed. Not only was the quality inconsistent when viewing new programming but you pretty much can't watch DVDs or Blu-rays made prior to 2016. I have a bunch of DVDs manufactured between 2007-2015 and they all tend to look pixelated on this television. It was explained to me that there is a processing issue for Ultra HD televisions with earlier DVDs. But many Ultra HDs are equipped with options to make viewing these movies possible. This one does not have options that work. All of my movies, including things that came out in 2014, look pixelated when images move or when they are at any kind of distance. This completely ruins the viewing experience.

Even the show, The Walking Dead, looks awful about 20% of the time (and that is a new program). The customer service was terrible. They take no responsibility. When I told them, if the TV can't reliable play DVDs from 2015, this should be clearly stated on the box or by the salespeople. They pointed to a "terms of service are subject to change at any time" statement. This was infuriating. Do not buy Samsung Ultra HDs if you want to watch movies made before 2015.

I will not be buying another Samsung Smart TV. It is not smart, it's actually slow and should be described as handicapped, I know that that's not funny, it's not meant to be. This TV is so slow. I would recommend anyone looking for a TV, please do yourself a favour and purchase anything else.

We purchased the Samsung flat screen led tv, 3D, curve, 55" smart tv with all the bells and whistles on December of 2015. Very expensive plus took a 5 year warranty for several hundred dollars. It's only my husband and I at home with a little cat and on Tuesday April 4th we were watching tv and my husband left to go to the kitchen and came back and the screen started getting lines vertical and horizontal. The bottom left got very hot and all of a sudden it showed little cracks in the left bottom corner. We did nothing to cause this and they are telling me we did physical damage to the tv.

There were to reviews and my husband also read it could be the thermal expansion and they did not want to hear that. They kept telling me it's physical damage. I will never buy a Samsung anything anymore. We were firm believers about Samsung as we have a 42" led tv since 2007 and had no problems. Very disturbed. I wonder how many more tv's out there are having the same problem.

I have previously purchased several Samsung TVs. Less than 6 months ago I purchased a Samsung 65 Inch Curved 4K Ultra HD Smart TV. I will never purchase another Samsung product again due to their misleading warranty policy and lack of customer service. Clearly their products are no longer being built at the same quality level of the past. I was angling the TV a quarter of an inch holding the outside of the screen and the entire screen cracked and there are black lines down the screen and sideways. I've moved this TV numerous times since I purchased it. I was transferred 4 different times and dealt with multiple automated systems only to be told they don't consider a cracked screen to fall under their warranty by policy. So a television that was a couple of thousands of dollars isn't covered even if there is a flaw in the product. Incredibly disappointing experience.

Samsung 78" 4K UHD Smart TV - UN78KU7500 - I purchased a 78 inch Samsung TV on 4/1/2017 from HHGregg. HHGregg stated that all sales were final but Samsung offered a one year warranty. This TV was a floor model. After 3 days, the TV picture stopped working and received a blue line across the screen (picture 1). I called to have a Samsung representative come out. They scheduled for 4/10. During the wait, over the course of a few days, the TV started to get an additional streak and picture still did not work (picture 2).

The technician, who is apparently a contractor and not a Samsung employee from Home Service Network/Total Tech Solutions, (201) 672-9502, stated that there appeared to be a damaged screen due to the streak that occurred several days after the picture was lost. The TV was never dropped, hit, etc. There was no physical damage on the TV. The tech also admitted that there was no external damage and despite pictures indicating no external damage, the warranty was denied by Samsung due to "physical damage." When contacting Samsung, they said they did not have the pictures to review but denied the warranty based on "physical damage" assessment from pictures reviewed by someone else.

I have attached pictures showing no physical damage and the evolution of the additional streaking over the 4 days waiting for service. I have owned the TV for 10 days and they refuse to warranty a physically undamaged TV that cost $3,000. They stated that it would be over $2,000 to repair. I have gone back and forth with Samsung and being cut-off at the supervisor level, not allowing me to escalate. I'm disgusted. Thanks.

I finally save enough money to buy something for me. I'm a single mother with two boys. One with autism that demand a lot of time and money which is great cause I love them. Went to searching for good deal and came across this 40 in Samsung smart TV for 600 buck which was in my budget. I was so excited to bring the TV home. I enjoyed it for 11 months until it start flickering like it's going out so I said ok let's call Samsung. I called Samsung only to hear it's out of warranty and I have to pay to get it fixed. I told them I haven't had it a year. They said, "Go to store and get a bill of sale," so I did with no luck since I paid with cash. I use to be a huge Samsung lover. When I saw their logo I think good, strong company. I no longer feel that way. I has my LG TV forever with no problems. Samsung should stick with phone only. Their other products are garbage never again will I buy from this company. (Well I love their phones so phones only.)

I bought a Samsung soundbar for my 60" TV because the sound coming from the TV speaker was so bad. The sound bar shuts off several times a day for no reason. I bought the soundbar from Walmart in Washington PA.

Smart tv runs very slow and often times out while trying to access smart tv Apps. Only had TV a year and it has to be the worst TV. I can't even get Samsung phone to pair with Samsung TV.

I paid almost $500.00 for a Samsung UN40H5201A 40" Flat Screen TV, and wouldn't you know just a little over two months after the supposed warranty expires, the TV loses its Picture, and then 4 hours later it loses its sound. You can't even play a movie on it from another device. So I make a call to the store I bought from and they go, "oh it's out of warranty", I go "yeah, but you sold the TV", you should be talking to Samsung to be more Reputable company.

A little math. You paid almost $500.00 to watch TV for 2 years and two months, to then have it just stop working. This is planned obsolescence, so they can do business in America, and defraud the poor working man out of his hard earned money. Samsung is nothing but a poor millennial business, not one person there has any business skill, and they just hold out their hand and try to defraud you out of more money.

Samsung is not alone in this; Costco is a business criminal partner in these shenanigans, another bunch of incompetent business people. The Technician I spoke with on the phone what gunnies they were. Said "you're paying for technology". I said "the Cathode ray tube TV I had 3 years ago, worked for over 10 years, and was still working just fine when I gave it to someone else who could get some use out of it." Samsung Steals your money, then tries to either burn you up with their galaxy 7 cell phone. Think before you shop at a money.

I bought a $4000 Samsung UN55B8500 TV. It has been giving trouble for some time, but out of warranty so I managed. I talked with Samsung and they say my case was the first case of this model having that problem. That's total CRAP!! It's all over the internet. Unfortunately myself like many others own a model that was not part of the class action suit against them. Samsung does not even offer parts to fix my TV now! Searching the internet looking for an answer to my problem, it appears there are even much newer Samsung TV's having similar issues. So with the issue being spread across several models of their TV's and spanning across several years leads me to believe what is obvious. The only common factor is Samsung.

I splurged and bought a nice TV, but little did I know it would soon be plagued with issues. Maybe Samsung is pushing too hard for advances with development while not being able to produce a product that holds up to their standards. Or maybe they rely on their name. Samsung is huge when it comes to electronics. What if it was some smaller, less known company that had some of the issues Samsung has, including fires. I would find it hard to believe a smaller company would be able to pull through such troubles. But with Samsung covering such a large share of market purchases, their pockets are deep enough they cannot only survive but likely continue to thrive. Consumers are too focused on latest technology, so Samsung's troubles will soon be a distant memory once people get "googly-eyed" over some new release.

I tried. I tried several times. Samsung has been no help. I was even giving them another chance when I was researching for a replacement TV. But with what I have found, I feel Samsung will not be one of my choices for a new TV. Not only that but I planned to replace my Galaxy S7 phone with the soon to be release S8. Guess I will be searching for something different for a smartphone as well. SAMSUNG, it's more than bells and whistles we are interested in. How about better quality? Irked.

Purchased a 65 SUHD 4k 6500 series TV. Pixelates and blurs badly with any fast motion movies or sporting events. Also pops periodically like a static charge when changing channels. Samsung wants me to re-wire my entire house and replace every piece of electronics in my home with all new, and have placed the blame on everyone and everything except Santa Claus. Still refusing to do anything about it.

Just purchased a brand new GE refrigerator, plugged it in and came back 3 days later to find the entire bottom liner of the freezer compartment cracked. GE says it is "cosmetic" only and will not replace or repair the fridge. Purchased a new LG dishwasher and it holds water in the bottom till it smells like rotting garbage juice. Now the smell has permanently permeated the insulation of the walls and will not go away. My dishes stink after running a load, due to a product design flaw. LG refuses to acknowledge the flaw and will not warranty the product. Will throw away a $1000 dishwasher.

People corporations have crossed the line with their greed and are only selling one way out the door with (O) zero customer service. They are getting away with fraud at every level and there's basically nothing the consumer can do about it. The world has gone corrupt. It is buyer beware out there in the world. LG has set up their phones so you cannot even contact them, instead it routes you to number after number which will not let you call in a complaint. It is everyone for themselves.

My tv needs to fit within a built-in cabinet and the size 60" is perfect. Plus, color is excellent and sometimes I feel the picture makes me feel I'm in the room with it! Samsung provides a quality tv as well as other electronics - good reputation.

Purchased a Samsung 7 years ago and this tv has worked very well. The picture is life-like and amazes all who sees it. Samsung TV is a great value with far superior picture and sound quality compared to other brands. I would not consider any other brand when purchasing my next tv.

I have had a 35" flat screen for almost 4 years now and the only problem I have had is the sound is very low on start up. But, I think this is associated with my satellite provider. It is HD, provides a perfect picture every time, is very lightweight and the one move was very easy to set it back up by myself. The remote is easy to use also.

Samsung TV was a standard tv, no bells, no whistles. This was the cheapest one in a size I could handle with a name I recognized on Amazon.

Samsung Tv has competitive pricing and easy to find anywhere they sell TVs. There are many ways to display your TV wall mount, cabinet, on the ceiling, on top of a table, in your bathroom with a brace for hanging in different places which comes with the TV when you purchase it. Good acoustics by itself and spectacular with home theater. It is very easy to set up and it will take about 5 minutes tops. The visual effects are tremendous clear, colors are vivid and appropriate. The TV has all the modern conventional items you would expect a TV to have and more such as hookups for surround sound, your cable TV hookups, for your Blu-ray, for speakers in multiple rooms and all the other modern equipment that you might need.

We have 3 Samsung TVs and we have had no problems with them. The picture is so clear and you can see the skin texture of the actors. Our newest is a Smart tv and we enjoy the new features.

Samsung has been great with any/all questions and/or concerns and have got a customer for life. This being my first big screen and flat screen, I was nervous about issues I had heard of people having with the new TVs, but trusting Samsung to be as great as their phones was the best decision I made.

I just purchased Samsung 55" Curved TV UN55KU6500F on the internet December last year. I called up for service due to fail of the screen issue. They were told will come in 2 days to fix it. Finally took more than 1 months to show up and walk out in 3 mins by took the picture of the screen. Next day morning called... "It is not in the warranty due to physical damage internally in side of TV." So warranty voided. I was on the phone numerous time to discuss about impossible of what they said was. But they still reply me to fix it myself with my own cost $1500 for the panel. I got the TV only $650. I strongly suggest not buying at Samsung TV. They have bad service and bad TV. Maybe in one point price is "good." I will never buy Samsung products again in the future. They don't honor their mistake.

The TV is great when it works. Look good but don't like the shiny look so much and no other choice. Size selection good because I like a small TV for reasons of space and cost and Samsung has smaller models available. The cost average and appearance decent. But, I've had problems with Samsung TVs. Had to send one out for repair after only months (the store replace it actually against official policy) but the next one with some problem I had to pay to ship the damn thing back to be repaired. One just plain didn't last as long as I would have expected. I've replaced two Samsung TVS! Would I buy Samsung again? I am not sure.

Screen size/value is competitive among quality brands. HD picture quality is as good as it gets. I prefer the legs on either side of the frame instead of the center pedestal - nearly all Samsung models have center pedestals. I like the narrow bezel around the screen, but the rear/down facing speakers can affect the sound in a negative way with some TV positioning.

Remote needs to have TV model on it - I have several different models, but not sure which remote goes to each. May not matter until you have to deal with the smart hub (stupid hub) which is worthless and annoying if you prefer not to use it. It does things I don't want it to do, and does not give me control over it - 1) a translucent "Hub Update completed" pops up on screen. I can't make it go away with my DirecTV universal remote, and I don't want 2 remotes handy. 2) Changing channels having different resolutions causes the screen to go blank for several seconds. It is a common problem w/ Samsung owners, and the recommended firmware update does not cure the problem.

Our brand new Samsung has the sharpest picture. The whole family loves to gather and watch television in the living room now that we have this Samsung 4k TV. Its rich colors and great sound make for a very enjoyable viewing experience.

I had purchased my Samsung 65 in 4k, 3d tv, from hhgregg 1 and a quarter years ago. Thank god I purchased the extra extended warranty. So far I had to have the repairman 4 times, to fix various problems with the set. Start the sound went on it within 4 months, they came out repaired it. 3 months later again then sound went on the set. Again they had to put a sound board in the set. 6 months later no sound and no picture. They came out again, replaced the picture board and sound board. Repair man said, "All new parts, that should be it."

Oh yea, well again sound went on tv. Called, they said it's a good thing I have extended warranty. Well last week, the picture went again. Now I have to wait 2 weeks. For parts. Great!!! I had asked Samsung and hhgregg to replaces the tv. They told me it's under warranty. To all future buyers of Samsung TVs, stay away from Samsung products. It cost me 37OO.$ for a tv set that justs sits there until they can send a tv repairman with parts out to my house. Nice, isn't it.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Founded in 1938, Samsung is a market leader offering LED LCD TVs at virtually every price point and size. Samsung TVs are available at national and regional retailers and online.

• Curved TV: Make any seat the best seat in the house. Samsung combines a curved screen with its Auto Depth Enhancer, an innovative design that creates a greater sense of contrast and depth.
  • 4K UHD Upscaling: Even if you're watching non-4K content, Samsung's upscaling technology automatically improves the picture quality and enhances details.
  • One connect box: Samsung allows you to streamline your audio and video connections by de-cluttering the connections that go from your components to your TV.
  • UHD Video Pack: It comes pre-loaded with 4K UHD movies, documentaries and more to get your collection off to a great start.
  • True colors: With wide color enhancer technology, brights are brighter, blacks blacker and whites are whiter, so you see pictures the way the director wanted you to see them.
  • Best for Home-theater enthusiasts and movie and TV connoisseurs.

Compare TV Brands