Philips TV

Compare TV Brands

Research top TV Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Son bought me the 55" 4k Smart TV for Xmas!! Hooked it up on January 21!! On February 18 the remote sensor quit working!! Have to turn off and on by back of TV!! Cannot log on to internet or anything else but basic TV!! Have to turn up or down on back of TV!! After watching for a while, it cuts off by itself!!! Bought 3 year warranty, called Philips, on phone over an hour for 3 different times!!! Still no luck!!! Told to sign off for damages by mail!! They would mail us a check for cost of TV!!! After signing paper and mailing back, how can I TRUST THEM TO MAIL ME MY CHECK?!?!

I purchased Philips smart TV few month back. From Day 1 smart TV is not working smartly. Manual given by Philips not up to mark. When register complaint in customer care no one revert in give time and after that. Bad service. Do not buy Philips smart TV.

Paid 458 for the TV at Walmart. Just over a month later the tv made a screeching noise then popped loudly! Philips called it an internal crack and would not honor so called warranty! Don't buy Philips! I have a 500 paper weight. Unless I want to spend 500 more to have it fixed.

Put in layaway on black Friday. Didn't take out of box until last week. Screen is cracked & has huge circles. Walmart wouldn't take the television back. 55" smart 4k, ultra HDTV, LED LCD, 5000 series. Told us to call the manufacturer. Did that & sent pictures of the television & they will not fix, replace, or honor their so called piece of crap warranty. Buyer beware. Do not buy!!!

Philips smart TV is a total junk. Nothing works properly. Not even the remote. I've had nothing but problems with this TV since I purchased it. It has a mind of its own. The TV doesn't respond to the remote half the time and it is very stressful. Waste of money. Never again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Philips?

I have a Philips TV in my son's room. The picture is very clear and size is perfect for his bedroom. He has his cable and gaming console hooked up to it. If needed, he can hook up DVD or another system to it without any problem. He's had this TV for about 2 years and has never come to me with any problem pertaining to the TV itself. Also it was easy for my son to learn to control and is able to change channels and modes without any problems. This TV is great. I would recommend this TV to anyone.

My TV is outdated. Well it's really time for me to buy a new television. They are so pricey these days. I'm not sure if I really can afford a new TV now or not, and it's really not in the budget right now.

My Philips TV was a gift and I am very pleased with the product. Due to the large screen, I am able to watch TV while in the kitchen cooking or cleaning. I love the sound quality. I feel like I'm sitting in the movie theater. The clarity/resolution of the screen is wonderful.

We bought a 49" Philips TV in 2014. First of all the sound was terrible! We had to buy a sound bar just to hear the TV. Then we started having problems with the picture. Of course they won't help me if it's over a year old. I will never buy a Philips anything ever again! It's like throwing your money away!

I bought a 4K 55-inch smart TV on Black Friday. I'm having nothing but problems with it. It won't turn off and won't turn on. You have to do it manually you have to unplug it. You have to keep resetting it and I called their customer service I have been spoken to very rudely. They won't replace the TV and I would like somebody from the corporate office to give me a callback.

I purchased the 55in 4K Philips tv from Walmart Black Friday 2016. After mounting the tv and trying to screencast from my laptop I learned there was a sound issue with the tv. Over the past month I have called them repeatedly to get a resolution to the problem and they constantly blame everything except the tv. First it was the laptop, then the internet, then the router. Finally they admitted that it was a problem with the tv and their fix for this was for me to wait 48 hours for a solution then call back. If no resolution then I would receive a refund.

So I called back a few days later and once again they are blaming everything but the tv. Now they are saying to just wait until they have it fixed which could be I don't know how long. The customer service center I was speaking to was Funai which I didn't understand because it is a Philips tv. I have wasted at least 6 hours on the phone with them trying to fix a brand new tv. Terrible customer experience and still no resolution to the problem of the broken brand new tv.

I bought 45 TVs model #40hfl5783d since 2013. When done channel mapping CBS channel starts from #1 and rest of channels # off. Complained to Phillips tech told me all TVs are that way. I am in USA since 1977 I never seen when I do auto channel programming to any other brand start with channel 2 as CBS and onward all channel # are in sequence.

Phillips tech manager came to our hotel and sent bunch of untrained unprofessionally trained technician to fixed the problem. Never fixed the problem so stuck with 45 TVs paid premiums priced because best western hq was approved tv and best western sold to us and b/w did not help us behind their products either. One of my tvs is not power off or on from remote or power button. So today I tried to call Phillips tech, sales and main phone # from Phillips USA. No luck. I hope they going out of business or somebody lawsuit them and straighten them. Phillips is the first one bring tv in home and business and now is last and should take Phillips name from world. So do best western that they didn't stand behind us.

When trying to adjust the volume on the TV it don't work. The television will turn off and about 3 to 4 minute later it turns back on by itself. It's very annoying. Also if I have the TV on for a period of time it will turn off by itself.

I was having a Philips 39" LED tv. Within two years of use, display stopped working. Called customer care. They came with a motherboard kit in two weeks of time. It did not work. They took 1200 INR for just visit and asked me that panel is bad and it cannot be repaired as cost of panel is same as cost of new tv. I can't expect a substandard product and service from a brand like philips. Very disappointed. Will never buy Philips product.

My TV power led always blinking. So I hand over my TV nearby Philips authorized service center (Madurai service center) three month before. Now they returned my TV without solve the problem. They told me spare parts not available for this model. Really waste of money. Philips is meaning of worst!!! So please don't buy any Philips brand!!!

I purchased this 55 inch 3 days ago. 11/25/2016. Cannot get tv to full screen on some channels. Philips told me to call my cable company to get it corrected. They was no help so my cable company told me to call Philips. They was no help so I continue watching some channels at a 40 inch view on a 55 inch tv. Save your money and buy another brand.

I have a Phillips TV for about 6 yrs now... Since I have it the TV turns on and off by itself sometimes... Oftentimes the TV is unable to power on. Very frustrating especially when you are trying to watch a particular program or have company over.

My Phillips TV is 6+ years old. It worked well for about 6 years. Now, I turn it on (with remote or at the set) and it keeps turning itself off. If I repeat this about 15 times it will turn on and stay on. What the heck is that?! I will never buy Phillps again.

I purchased a 39' Philips smart TV 2 years ago. At first the tv seemed to be working fine. It has all the apps, (except now you can't use the Facebook app) but I basically use it for YouTube and Netflix. 20 minutes into watching a show, it will freeze. I can't even turn the TV off and back on. I have to unplug the thing and start all over. Sometimes going through the process 3 or 4 times! The warranty has expired so I'm stuck with it until I can sell it on craigslist. I would NOT recommend anyone buy a Philips smart tv. I purchased 2 smaller Vizio smart tv's for my 2 daughters for their bedrooms, never had an issue and they watch it all the time. The Philips is in my LR and not used very often. Purchase the Vizio. DO NOT BUY PHILIPS!!!

My brother wanted a new flat TV for his new home and asked me to do the purchase for him. I checked out the stocks available in one of the local stores and had to choose from a range of TVs mostly manufactured in China. My only purchase requirement then was for the TV to be 32" as it's the biggest size allowed for the small space allotted for it. I chose the Philips TV because it had a better coated screen that won't kind of smudge when you press or tap on it. The TV was delivered the next day to my brother's house and I set it up myself. It was easy to assemble as I only had to put its table top stand.

I was a bit worried at first as the main TV may fall but then I later on realized I was not able put in a screw between the top stand and the main TV itself. My brother had the TV for 8 days now and his children love watching on it. It has a VGA, HDMI and USB port so I can plug in an external drive and watch videos from it or connect my laptop to it. I like the colors of the TV and the simple way of changing the settings to own preferences. I also like its audio features.

I bought a Philips tv but got frustrated with once it refused to turn on and all it did was give me a red blinking light. I had to constantly keep plugging and unplugging until it turn on so I decided to change the channel until I got one of the HDMI ports and the screen was black. After replacing many parts it now turns on but the biggest problem I have is that it will recognize certain entertainment devices hooked up but not others. For example my Blu-Ray DVD player, my Wii, and my PS2 are recognized but when I hook something else up it will not show up on my screen. All it is a black screen and no sound. I have tried everything I know but nothing works. I'm thinking of giving up and getting another tv but different brand.

This TV is only 2 yrs. old and all of a sudden the TV has problems turning on. After hitting the on button the screen is dark, the sound comes thru but no picture. Sometimes, it takes 15 to 20 times of turning off and on before I have a picture. I will never purchase a Philips TV again!

My son purchased the 39" smart tv. He had the tv less than a year and the volume would not work. When you tried to turn the tv volume up, it would automatically go back down to 0 once you let go of the volume button. We called Phillips and they had us go through some troubleshooting that of course did not work. They agreed to send another tv since it was still under warranty. We received the new tv, but the warranty was not extended, and guess what? The second tv is now doing the same thing. So basically we have been thru 2 tvs from Philips both with the same problem, same model and everything. I called Phillips and guess what? "Sorry your tv is out of warranty." So how is it that they have a model of tv that clearly has issues? Yes they wanted me to send the tv in for repair, but the time frame for that is going to be weeks. I will never buy another Philips product again and I DO NOT recommend! My son spent $350.00 for junk!

50 14 month old flat screen TV HDTV - Ok. Received as a Christmas gift December of 2014. Installed it Jan 2015. Today February 2016 no power and I don't feel I should have to pay to ask a question of the company that made it on how to repair or troubleshoot the problem. I have tried to contact them and get nowhere. It is very strange. It just decided to shut down.

First of all TV is over 5 years old. At the time price was good. 46 inch, great colors, lightweight, easy to manipulate. Would definitely purchase again.

I have a few different brands and they're all the same to me. The 2 Vizios I have are older and not working so well. They seem less durable than the Phillips.

My Phillips TV is a few years old but even under warranty, it would/will suddenly start screeching a static noise at random times which requires me to turn it off for several seconds. We tried to get it serviced while still new but the authorized dealer was "busy" and never came out.

When we tried to plug into the hdmi sockets, the hdmi connector fell inside the tv - this happened with two of three of the sockets. We feel the quality is poor when it comes to durability.

Television has great sounds & features. Crystal clear picture. Remote is very easy. Menu is great. It is not difficult to use. Most buttons is color coded but would like them to be a bit bigger for my eyesight.

We have two older TV's and cannot complain on either. The newer ones maybe. Most older TV's have been perfected and I have no problems with them. It is mainly just cable companies.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

A leading manufacturer of televisions, Phillips is also a leader in healthcare, lighting and many other industries. Its TV models include LED, 4K UHD and Smart TVs.

• Picture quality: With 4K UHD and upscaling, laser backlight and extreme motion smoothness, picture quality is superior on Phillips TVs.
  • Design: Bezel edges, razor-thin designs and cast-metal stands ensure these TVs are more than just practical; they're aesthetically pleasing, as well.
  • 3D sound: Immersive sound makes the viewing experience more enjoyable. Two full-range speakers deliver crisp vocals.
  • Smart TV: Wireless streaming is made easy through built-in apps, and you can stream virtually anything through your Miracast-powered device to your TV. The Smart TV is designed to handle upcoming 4K streaming services as well.
  • Range of sizes: Philips offers TVs in a wide range of sizes, from 32 inches up to 65 inches, perfect for everything from kitchens to home theaters.
  • Best for Researchers, movie and TV connoisseurs, bargain shoppers and home-theater enthusiasts.

Compare TV Brands