1.46/5

1033 Philips TV Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 29, 2019

This is my second Philips television with Ambilight and I never want one without. Especially during movies and sports it is a very immersive experience. The previous television lasted for 7 years and was still going strong, but in need of replacement because it wasn't as 'smart'. The operating system works effortlessly and plenty of apps available. Recommendation.

Original review: March 18, 2019

Smart TV is really nice for viewing different programs, such as Netflix and Hulu. The display is incredibly sharp. It is easy to operate, ie, remote control. I have had it a little over a year and still no issues or problems.

Get expert buying tips about TV Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 2, 2018

We bought this tv two years ago and it has provided us with everything an ultra HD offers and it has functioned well with all our other electronics. It has provided us excellent service over the last two years.

Original review: June 3, 2019

I bought an 58 inch flatscreen Philips TV in 2014 and by the year 2016 the TV no longer worked. I didn’t start using it really until 2016. I had a repair person come and look at the TV. They told me that The Tv could not be repaired. It had no sound and no picture. He said that Phillips did not want me to fix the TV. They wanted me to buy another TV. He said that Philips does not make replacement parts for their TVs. The tv cost over $800. Now this is a complete waste of money for me who buys a tv and it only last 2 years. I will never ever buy another Philips TV. If this is how you make your products I will not be a returning customer.

Original review: May 23, 2019

I purchased a Philips 42 inch tv from Walmart in the summer of 2008. I know it is 11 years old, but was working fine until this morning when smoke came billowing out. Immediately unplugged and it stopped. Very dangerous and feel it could have caused a home fire. Just put it in the garage and don’t see any damage to exterior so obviously an internal electrical fire.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Philips?

Original review: May 19, 2019

Through no fault of my own, the screen broke on my TV. When the tv is off, you can't see anything on the screen. However, when you turn the TV on, there is clearly something wrong. When I reached out to the company they told me it's my fault and I will have to repair it at my expense. The screen broke internally and somehow it's my fault and not covered in the warranty. I have had this TV for less than a year and up until today I have loved my tv. Now I can't even watch without having a distortion.

Original review: May 17, 2019

I have registered complaint of my TV which has 5 years warranty. They told me that panel and backlight is not available so you will get refund. Service centre executives are saying, "We are not getting any response from Philips,: and then I started sending mails directly on Philips' complaint mail ID. They are just asking documents, models and passing time on these silly questions. When I sent everything they stopped responding. The WORST BRAND, WORST SERVICE. All management is of same kind. They don't want to give service actually. Third class company for service and products both. Never Go For Philips in future and suggesting same to you also. Lifetime mistake that purchased Philips product. I don't want to even rate for my experience. Minus rating option should be there.

Original review: May 2, 2019

Worst Department, Worst Toll Free... Never Go For Philips in future and suggesting same to you also. Never go for this dump products. All management is of same kind. They don't want to give service actually. On mail ID also no one respond, SMS service is also very worst. Third class company for service and products both. Lifetime mistake that purchased Philips product.

Original review: April 20, 2019

I purchased this TV last summer around August, and had issues within the first week that I thought would work themselves out. When I first brought it out, it took a long time to upload for the WiFi, which I assumed was normal because I have 6 kids on my Wifi. 45 minutes later, it finally loaded and updated all the items for use. I automatically input my Vudu and Netflix accounts. The Netflix froze once and I had to unplug and plug the TV back in. Again, I shrugged it off as just slow Wifi. I had my kids all log off their devices, and had no issues. Streaming and updates were great. Until a week later.

At first it was the remote being slow to turn up the volume or down. And even slow to make choices on the TV at all. I changed the batteries thinking it would help, and it didn't. So I just grew patient with it, and ignored it since the TV worked fine. Fast forward another 6 weeks, and my Netflix won't load. My Vudu shuts off. The remote still is slow, and I am just fed up. I stopped using it so much, and left it alone during the winter months. N

Now as spring is here, I use it to play YouTube and clean the living room it is in, and the color darks are now purple, the remote still will not work, the apps won't load properly the first time, they lag really badly, it won't update the software unless it's plugged into the internet, and I spend more time trying to get it to load and work than I have been able to watch it. And as you can Imagine as a mother of 6, I am pretty frickin' patient.

My advice is to stay away. I spent over half a grand on a piece of junk that I will spend more time trying to fix or return than able to enjoy. My time is precious, and I have found myself having to return more and more electronics as things update and 'get better'. My husband bought a Hisense from Walmart, and we bought some TCL's for the kids that have taken a beating well. I'm sticking to other brands from here on out. Buy at your own risk.

Original review: March 31, 2019

So we bought this TV maybe a few days before Christmas. I should have known that it would suck when it immediately stopped working correctly the same week. Also all the apps they offer for some reason aren't available in this country or at least that is what a representative told me when I called. I'm talking basic apps like HBO, Starz, Facebook. It would randomly turn off or stop Youtube and Netflix videos then give a no signal message. Later anytime I wanted to use the smart component of this smart TV I would have to go through the process of connecting the network all over again every time.

Eventually after maybe 3 months it just won't connect to any network at all making it just a basic TV. So I paid hundreds of dollars for a large basic TV. I'll never buy from them again. We use to have a big bulky Sony TV that lasted so many years and ran great. We gave it up because it just stopped turning on easily like it took a few tries. Either way I'd rather have that hulky old TV than this new piece of crap.

Original review: March 18, 2019

2 weeks ago we switched on our TV and it started an automatic system software update installation. It got to the end of the progress bar and that was it - nothing (even left overnight). TV and remote control have been useless since - you now need to unplug power lead and when you power back on it does the same thing. Remote and USB connectivity no longer active. I have spent hours over past 2 weeks in contact with Philips support/product specialists, who initially pointed me to invalid website system files and then invalid support links whilst customer assistance acknowledged they were aware of issue.

It appears that whilst the TV was pushed into this global software update (to 'enhance' google app services etc) there is no central support persons that can assist to trigger engineer call out to resolve post their failure to implement. TV is in warranty as it's just 9 months old. I had shipped it with furniture to our home in Portugal where it was working fine until switch on during last visit. Supplier (AO.com) have been helpful but Philips supports just advise me to contact local Philips support and links offered to arrange same don't work.They will not take ownership. To this end I would warn anyone considering buying a Philips TV to query if S/W updates can be physically 'switched off' else there is chance Philips will burgle your home via a malicious internet sweep and frig up your TV like they've done mine!

Original review: March 18, 2019

I bought an expensive Ultraslim Philips TV 49" and after 4 years it malfunction, does not power up and red diode light is blinking. According to Philips it need repairs but they do not offer any repair because warranty has expired. A 900USD TV that stops working after just 4 years, that is very disappointing. I will never buy a Philips TV again.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Decent picture for LCD. Stop-gap to replace dead plasma. Nowhere near the picture quality, but also not near the price. It works for now. I will likely buy a larger, 4k model from TCL in the longer term.

Original review: March 7, 2019

We just purchased a 55in 4k 5000 series TV from Wal-Mart less than a month ago to replace our Hisense TV that was damaged in a move. We were up in the air on which brand to buy and were under the misconception all Smart TV's could stream wireless with a Wi-Fi connection. We were WRONG. We do not use cable TV, only Wi-Fi. We have never had a problem doing this before with our Hisense TV. (It even worked with a 3/4 of the screen cracked.) We have a Netflix subscription and use YouTube. We have never had a problem watching entire movies or even seasons of TV series in a single sitting. No buffering, no lost connection. Not so with this Philips TV. You might be able to watch 3 minutes MAX of a movie or even a Youtube video before it starts buffering. If you're lucky you might be able to connect again before you lose interest completely, but not usually.

Maybe I'm impatient, but 15 minutes or so is my deadline. Then I'm cursing the TV & myself for buying it. I'm currently at 30 minutes with no TV wifi connection. Yet I'm typing this using my wifi and it Works fine. I've checked all my other devices and they all work perfectly fine. I've called Comcast so it's not a connection issue. The wireless capabilities on a Philips TV are non-existent. It is the most frustrating experience to watch TV since we've purchased this Lemon. It has taken watching TV from a relaxing, wind-down activity to an experience so stressful it makes you want to rip your hair out.

Do not ever purchase this TV, especially if you ever plan to watch any kind of video or movie from Netflix, YouTube or any other streaming service. Our 50 " Hisense TV worked better BROKEN than this Philips TV does brand new out of the box. My Wi-Fi router is less than 3 ft from the TV, yet it can't maintain a connection? This TV is a LEMON with a CAPITAL "L". Do not buy it!

Original review: March 1, 2019

If Phillips is the last company on earth where you can buy a tv from, forget about watching tv. A friend bought one of their smart televisions for a Xmas gift for me. Less than a month later it died. Power would come on but no audio or video. Their “support” finally relented and said they would send a replacement. 2 weeks later the replacement arrived. The broken unit was packaged and ready to be shipped back to them. The new unit was set up and working for all of 30 minutes and then that one died. Same problem as the first one. Their “support” said to return one of the broken units and they would send yet another. So I have to lug this huge box to a FedEx and when they get it they’ll send another. I am expected to wait again!!! Send me a working unit NOW!!!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

My TV motherboard is damaged. Had bought it just one and a half year back by paying 40k. And now I am behind them following up with customer care from past two weeks. Call is not at all getting connected and no any mail response... Shameful product and shameful service. It is better to shut down this company if they have to provide this kind of shameful service. It's is just waste even if they provide warranty on the product. Please don't buy any product from this company. Because you won't get any kind of service if anything is damaged.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

Too many problems to list. Do not buy Philips... No web browser. No Facebook. No Google Play. No email. Can't add apps, locks up, slow, bad, no support, apps don't work. Just don't buy Philips HDTV. I hate my Philips TV.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I purchased my 55 inch Philips tv from Walmart Black Friday deal. In less than 2 years this tv went out. Called Philips. Very poor customer service!!! They refuse to stand by their product!!! They will stick with that 1 year factory warranty though!!! I wish they would stop making anything. $400.00 gone!!! I only gave it 1star so I could write this review!!! Don't purchase any products from this company. Nothing!!!Do not purchase a lemon tv like I DID!!! Don't give Philips your money, they have already taken enough from consumers!!!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I received the TV as a birthday gift in July 2017. We put it in our bedroom for late evening viewing, so it was only used a couple of hours each day. Last night we turned on the TV and heard a "pop". The unit was plugged into a surge protector, and we tried a number of things - plugging directly into the outlet, using the manual on-off, etc., to no avail. We chatted with Philips customer service who determined it was a hardware issue (which we pretty much knew already), and told us we were past the 12 month warranty, and because we didn't buy an extended warranty, the only thing they could do was give us a contact to a local (30 miles away). Very frustrating that a consumer electronics product from a reputable company would die in 18 months.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I have had many problems using this Phillips 4K Ultra H 4D. I have only been able to access Netflix once; most of the time it won't load, the icon just spins and stops loading between 25 to 93 percent. This is an app that comes with the tv, and I paid to subscribe to Netflix. I contacted my internet carrier to see if there was a problem there, but there was not. Currently, I am unable to watch tv shows, although I am able to on other devices. I can hear the sound, but no picture, and it continues to say, "Please wait." This tv has been nothing but trouble since I have bought it from Target. I am going to try to return it if it has not been three months since purchase. DO NOT BUY THIS BRAND.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

I bought this TV at Walmart. Graphics don't look 4K. The box says stream over 100 apps and you can only use the ones they have installed which is like 10 apps. Only 2 I use which is Netflix and Pandora. Every time the TV switches to Netflix on its own. It's so annoying. I really regret getting this. Please don't buy. I can see this company falling downhill in the future. Your better off buying another brand TV and a Roku stick to get all your streaming. THIS T.V. SUCKS!!!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I got a Philips TV and a Sony Blu-ray In 2014. On the TV the apps no longer work. When I went to their support they said apps expire... Funny. All the apps still work on the Sony Blu-ray player. I will buy no more products from Philips.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I have several Philips TVs that I purchased all around the same time and all of them blew the power supply within a month after the factory warranty expired, except one, which Philips Smart TV platform stopped working BEFORE the unit was a week old! Walmart refused to take it back claiming I didn't purchase a Walmart warranty so I'm out of luck, and Philips claims they stopped supporting their Cloud TV aka net TV platform and they will not provide any repairs or replacement or credit towards one that actually does what they advertised that it's supposed to do. The unit has multiple apps installed but none of them work. So, if you're in the market for a new smart TV, I strongly suggest you spend an extra hundred bucks and get one from a manufacturer that stands behind their products and don't get ripped off with Philips TV "trash."

I'd love to see a class action suit against Philips over this because it's quite obvious to anyone with above a third grade education that customers posting reviews here have been taken by Philips and are quite annoyed. Then of course if you have not passed third grade, and want to throw your money out the window, go ahead. I'm now looking at new smart TVs made by the same company that makes the better smartphones that I'm sure you have heard of, which most cell phone service providers sell as their best phones. Good luck. Don't be another victim of false advertising and a corporate rip-off. Oh and PS: if you're a Philips employee, shame on you for ripping off your customers. I'll stand up to these claims in court if a suit is ever brought to trial!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

We bought the TV about 2 1/2 months ago and the sound quality had gotten worse over the last month or so... I have tried adjusting the sound options to see if any make a difference with no luck. I honestly wanted to return this TV the first weekend I bought it due to the fact that the box falsely advertised that the TV had Sling, Hulu and many other apps that it does not have. The issue is that we live 2 1/2 hours from the Target that we bought the TV and I was not able to make it back in time. Just disappointed in Phillips especially since I tried writing a review the day I bought it and it was continually rejected by Phillips...

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

Bought the 55inch HD Smart TV on Black Friday 2016 from Walmart. Thought it was a great deal! Ha, was I wrong. About 9 months later the screen suddenly goes black. This continues and my husband thinks it's Russia spying on us. I know better because I read the reviews and discovered that this TV is junk. The screen going black continues until late September 2018 when the picture starts getting staticy. No amount of clunking it will fix it, we finally opted to buy a much better Sony TV instead and junk the Philips.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I bought a Phillips 4k 55inch tv 10 months ago and now it don't work. It started having lines going down the screen and then the whole picture went out. Long story short called Phillips, I still had a warranty but the repairman said the tv is not fixable and Phillips would not cover it. Called Phillips they said the warranty only covers certain parts but they didn't tell me that until after they found out the tv was not fixable. Don't buy a Phillips tv. I mean people had told me that beforehand but I found out the hard way. No tv and out $450 dollars.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I bought a Philips TV not because I needed a new TV, but because I liked the look and features since I'm simple with my TV needs in the bedroom. I haven't even had it up for a couple months and the feet somehow came out from under them, and the whole thing came crashing down. Now- I had an off brand that's feet were screwed in, but this was a larger TV, smaller feet and obviously just clicked in... Good thing I hadn't even had a chance to get rid of my other TV, since I now just put $500 down the drain plus the warranty I was so concerned about. Too bad there's no coverage for a faulty TV... DON'T WASTE YOUR $, OR ALLOW YOUR FAMILY OR FRIENDS TO EITHER... SHAME ON PHILIPS.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

Contacted company because after 4 months my television stopped working. I had to allow them to place a $50.00 hold on my bank account in order to receive a replacement television. 10 days later I received a damaged refurbished television from company. I had to set up a return pickup with delivery company. 29 days and 2 television later I'm still without a television or refund. Refund could take the minimum of 4 weeks. Company response to my complaint "The customer will need to follow our refund process, however, which means they will need to send their original television and the damaged replacement to our warehouse. We will be able to offer the customer pre-paid shipping labels that will cover the cost of the shipment. If the customer needs a box, they can get one for free from any large box store such as Wal-Mart or Best Buy, the customer just needs to ask for one."

Original review: July 21, 2018

Honestly I am extremely disgusted with Philips and Walmart. I bought a Philips TV 5000 at Walmart on July 13 and it stopped working on July 15. I called Walmart and they told me that despite having a guarantee I had to return it in the box. I never thought that a Philips would break so fast and I had thrown the box. Walmart told me to call Philips because they could not accept it. I Call Philips and they told me he would give me a refurbishing TV. I think it's wrong to give a refurbishing when I buy a NEW one a few days before.

I asked for a refund and they told me that I had to find a box for a 55 TV to return it. I think this is a total lack of respect for the client. I bought Philips thinking it was a good brand, that was my favorite parents' TV brand when I was a kid, I was wrong. I want to end this nightmare. Keep the money. I'll buy another brand but I warn you that NEVER neither my family nor I will buy anything from Philips nor I will tell everyone that I can what little you care about the client.

Original review: July 7, 2018

We bought a Phillips 4k TV 2 months ago. At first we couldn’t get the TV to turn on, then when we did get it turned on the TV screen was unwatchable. When I called Phillips they had me email pictures and my receipt. Then they informed me my warranty was invalid because the inside screen was cracked. I asked them how this could happen and they couldn't tell me how it happened it was just my fault.

Philips expert review by ConsumerAffairs

A leading manufacturer of televisions, Phillips is also a leader in healthcare, lighting and many other industries. Its TV models include LED, 4K UHD and Smart TVs.

• Picture quality: With 4K UHD and upscaling, laser backlight and extreme motion smoothness, picture quality is superior on Phillips TVs.

• Design: Bezel edges, razor-thin designs and cast-metal stands ensure these TVs are more than just practical; they're aesthetically pleasing, as well.

• 3D sound: Immersive sound makes the viewing experience more enjoyable. Two full-range speakers deliver crisp vocals.

• Smart TV: Wireless streaming is made easy through built-in apps, and you can stream virtually anything through your Miracast-powered device to your TV. The Smart TV is designed to handle upcoming 4K streaming services as well.

• Range of sizes: Philips offers TVs in a wide range of sizes, from 32 inches up to 65 inches, perfect for everything from kitchens to home theaters.

• Best for: Researchers, movie and TV connoisseurs, bargain shoppers and home-theater enthusiasts.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs