1.44/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1018 Philips TV Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

Too many problems to list. Do not buy Philips... No web browser. No Facebook. No Google Play. No email. Can't add apps, locks up, slow, bad, no support, apps don't work. Just don't buy Philips HDTV. I hate my Philips TV.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I purchased my 55 inch Philips tv from Walmart Black Friday deal. In less than 2 years this tv went out. Called Philips. Very poor customer service!!! They refuse to stand by their product!!! They will stick with that 1 year factory warranty though!!! I wish they would stop making anything. $400.00 gone!!! I only gave it 1star so I could write this review!!! Don't purchase any products from this company. Nothing!!!Do not purchase a lemon tv like I DID!!! Don't give Philips your money, they have already taken enough from consumers!!!

Get expert buying tips about TV Brands delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I received the TV as a birthday gift in July 2017. We put it in our bedroom for late evening viewing, so it was only used a couple of hours each day. Last night we turned on the TV and heard a "pop". The unit was plugged into a surge protector, and we tried a number of things - plugging directly into the outlet, using the manual on-off, etc., to no avail. We chatted with Philips customer service who determined it was a hardware issue (which we pretty much knew already), and told us we were past the 12 month warranty, and because we didn't buy an extended warranty, the only thing they could do was give us a contact to a local (30 miles away). Very frustrating that a consumer electronics product from a reputable company would die in 18 months.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I have had many problems using this Phillips 4K Ultra H 4D. I have only been able to access Netflix once; most of the time it won't load, the icon just spins and stops loading between 25 to 93 percent. This is an app that comes with the tv, and I paid to subscribe to Netflix. I contacted my internet carrier to see if there was a problem there, but there was not. Currently, I am unable to watch tv shows, although I am able to on other devices. I can hear the sound, but no picture, and it continues to say, "Please wait." This tv has been nothing but trouble since I have bought it from Target. I am going to try to return it if it has not been three months since purchase. DO NOT BUY THIS BRAND.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

I bought this TV at Walmart. Graphics don't look 4K. The box says stream over 100 apps and you can only use the ones they have installed which is like 10 apps. Only 2 I use which is Netflix and Pandora. Every time the TV switches to Netflix on its own. It's so annoying. I really regret getting this. Please don't buy. I can see this company falling downhill in the future. Your better off buying another brand TV and a Roku stick to get all your streaming. THIS T.V. SUCKS!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Philips?

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I got a Philips TV and a Sony Blu-ray In 2014. On the TV the apps no longer work. When I went to their support they said apps expire... Funny. All the apps still work on the Sony Blu-ray player. I will buy no more products from Philips.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I have several Philips TVs that I purchased all around the same time and all of them blew the power supply within a month after the factory warranty expired, except one, which Philips Smart TV platform stopped working BEFORE the unit was a week old! Walmart refused to take it back claiming I didn't purchase a Walmart warranty so I'm out of luck, and Philips claims they stopped supporting their Cloud TV aka net TV platform and they will not provide any repairs or replacement or credit towards one that actually does what they advertised that it's supposed to do. The unit has multiple apps installed but none of them work. So, if you're in the market for a new smart TV, I strongly suggest you spend an extra hundred bucks and get one from a manufacturer that stands behind their products and don't get ripped off with Philips TV "trash."

I'd love to see a class action suit against Philips over this because it's quite obvious to anyone with above a third grade education that customers posting reviews here have been taken by Philips and are quite annoyed. Then of course if you have not passed third grade, and want to throw your money out the window, go ahead. I'm now looking at new smart TVs made by the same company that makes the better smartphones that I'm sure you have heard of, which most cell phone service providers sell as their best phones. Good luck. Don't be another victim of false advertising and a corporate rip-off. Oh and PS: if you're a Philips employee, shame on you for ripping off your customers. I'll stand up to these claims in court if a suit is ever brought to trial!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

We bought the TV about 2 1/2 months ago and the sound quality had gotten worse over the last month or so... I have tried adjusting the sound options to see if any make a difference with no luck. I honestly wanted to return this TV the first weekend I bought it due to the fact that the box falsely advertised that the TV had Sling, Hulu and many other apps that it does not have. The issue is that we live 2 1/2 hours from the Target that we bought the TV and I was not able to make it back in time. Just disappointed in Phillips especially since I tried writing a review the day I bought it and it was continually rejected by Phillips...

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

Bought the 55inch HD Smart TV on Black Friday 2016 from Walmart. Thought it was a great deal! Ha, was I wrong. About 9 months later the screen suddenly goes black. This continues and my husband thinks it's Russia spying on us. I know better because I read the reviews and discovered that this TV is junk. The screen going black continues until late September 2018 when the picture starts getting staticy. No amount of clunking it will fix it, we finally opted to buy a much better Sony TV instead and junk the Philips.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I bought a Phillips 4k 55inch tv 10 months ago and now it don't work. It started having lines going down the screen and then the whole picture went out. Long story short called Phillips, I still had a warranty but the repairman said the tv is not fixable and Phillips would not cover it. Called Phillips they said the warranty only covers certain parts but they didn't tell me that until after they found out the tv was not fixable. Don't buy a Phillips tv. I mean people had told me that beforehand but I found out the hard way. No tv and out $450 dollars.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I bought a Philips TV not because I needed a new TV, but because I liked the look and features since I'm simple with my TV needs in the bedroom. I haven't even had it up for a couple months and the feet somehow came out from under them, and the whole thing came crashing down. Now- I had an off brand that's feet were screwed in, but this was a larger TV, smaller feet and obviously just clicked in... Good thing I hadn't even had a chance to get rid of my other TV, since I now just put $500 down the drain plus the warranty I was so concerned about. Too bad there's no coverage for a faulty TV... DON'T WASTE YOUR $, OR ALLOW YOUR FAMILY OR FRIENDS TO EITHER... SHAME ON PHILIPS.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

Contacted company because after 4 months my television stopped working. I had to allow them to place a $50.00 hold on my bank account in order to receive a replacement television. 10 days later I received a damaged refurbished television from company. I had to set up a return pickup with delivery company. 29 days and 2 television later I'm still without a television or refund. Refund could take the minimum of 4 weeks. Company response to my complaint "The customer will need to follow our refund process, however, which means they will need to send their original television and the damaged replacement to our warehouse. We will be able to offer the customer pre-paid shipping labels that will cover the cost of the shipment. If the customer needs a box, they can get one for free from any large box store such as Wal-Mart or Best Buy, the customer just needs to ask for one."

Original review: July 21, 2018

Honestly I am extremely disgusted with Philips and Walmart. I bought a Philips TV 5000 at Walmart on July 13 and it stopped working on July 15. I called Walmart and they told me that despite having a guarantee I had to return it in the box. I never thought that a Philips would break so fast and I had thrown the box. Walmart told me to call Philips because they could not accept it. I Call Philips and they told me he would give me a refurbishing TV. I think it's wrong to give a refurbishing when I buy a NEW one a few days before.

I asked for a refund and they told me that I had to find a box for a 55 TV to return it. I think this is a total lack of respect for the client. I bought Philips thinking it was a good brand, that was my favorite parents' TV brand when I was a kid, I was wrong. I want to end this nightmare. Keep the money. I'll buy another brand but I warn you that NEVER neither my family nor I will buy anything from Philips nor I will tell everyone that I can what little you care about the client.

Original review: July 7, 2018

We bought a Phillips 4k TV 2 months ago. At first we couldn’t get the TV to turn on, then when we did get it turned on the TV screen was unwatchable. When I called Phillips they had me email pictures and my receipt. Then they informed me my warranty was invalid because the inside screen was cracked. I asked them how this could happen and they couldn't tell me how it happened it was just my fault.

Original review: July 2, 2018

I have Philips LED TV 40" Inch. It have 3 years warranty. Within 8 month I got a display problem, so Philips people have changed the TV and given low cost tv. In that tv also got display problem. I called service center. They came & charged 800RS. I went to service center to hand over my tv. After 2 days they called me. There is no warranty. Then what's the meaning for warranty. I send the mail to Philips customer care about the complaint. 5 days gone. No one respond my mail. Even there is no warranty why charged 800RS from me. It's time waste. Dear customer please think when you want to buy Philips tv. It's worst service I never seen.

Original review: July 2, 2018

We bought this tv two years ago and it has provided us with everything an ultra HD offers and it has functioned well with all our other electronics. It has provided us excellent service over the last two years.

Original review: June 28, 2018

43" HD SMART TV - 2nd Philips TV that broke on me within one year. They require photos of front/back of TV & receipt and photo of back with clear pic of serial #. This is IMPOSSIBLE due to print being so small. Philips REFUSES to do anything to help me unless they get that photo. I've taken over 300 pics and even used magnifying glass but by the time it uploads... it's blurry. So basically impossible to take pic/upload and email clear photo of serial # from back of TV. I've tried explaining this to Philips but they do not care and will not do anything at all to try to help. I will never ever purchase any product from this company.

Original review: June 22, 2018

So my grandma bought a Philips TV almost a month ago and it broke down after only 17 days. Going back to the retailer, we asked for a replacement, since if they just repair it, it has a high chance to break down again. The person in the shop couldn't make a decision so he called his provincial manager (or whoever is at a higher position than him) and we waited in the mall for a few hours until he said that we should come back on the next weekday (since we came on a Saturday).

Coming back on a Monday, they still couldn't reach a decision so we waited for a few more hours and they made us come back the following day. And that repeated for a few more times until my grandma just decided to just get it repaired. Overall the service is bad, they couldn't replace a totally replaceable item, they made us go back so many times. And lastly most other brands would just replace a defective item but they couldn't which is something they would not even explain to us. Never buy a Philips TV. Ever.

Original review: June 13, 2018

It's a good TV, good picture but sound is not good at all. You have to turn it up all about 70-75 to hear the TV and then when the commercials come on you have to turn it down again. This stand that it stands on like two legs they come off when you pick it up.

Original review: June 11, 2018

Purchased this tv (Phillips Smart TV 55" - purchased from WalMart) just before Christmas while it was on sale. WORST MISTAKE EVER! The television effectively turns off when trying to adjust the sound up or down. This happens repeatedly. In order to return the tv to working order, you have to unplug it first. Using the remote to turn it back on without unplugging it first just gives you a blank, black screen. This irritating television is a 55" nightmare that's not worth a dime.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I am very upset with his company. I purchased this Tv today. Unboxing the TV went very well, the TV was really nice, but during set up I get halfway through, and the TV shuts off and comes back on. So I proceed to try the installation process again 3 more times, and it does the same thing except the last time trying to install it it shut off and came back on and completely went to a black screen. So I called to see if they can help troubleshoot this TV. They try to hard reset it and the same thing happens.

The tv is still completely on a black screen. The TV won't turn off with the remote, you have to unplug it. They're telling me I have to go through the warranty process which can take 3 to 5 business days. It's a brand new dam tv. UGH I don't have that kind of time. I need a tv now. I have little children. I trusted my money with this company. I spent $842 on this tv. I did not wait the take 3 to 5 days to pay for it so why should I have to wait 3 to 5 days due to a warranty process.

Original review: May 10, 2018

I have had excellent experience, with this brand, in the past, and was always satisfied. I reviewed and viewed a number of different brands, before making my purchase but there is nothing like comparison, side by side. This brand meets or far exceeds many other brands. For the money, it also far exceeds other name brands. Cost-wise, always a good value.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I bought my Philips Smart TV October 1, 2017 and on May 1, 2018 my television shut off and would not turn back on. I contacted the company and now seem to get the runaround. I sent in documents including my television receipt. I am now being asked to send the same pictures. I would not recommend buying any televisions from Philips. Buyers beware when you call you are speaking to someone with a strong accent.

Original review: April 26, 2018

Very easy to set up, it even gives you voice commands on what to do. You also have the choice to shut the voice off. I'm very pleased with this TV.

Original review: April 18, 2018

Bought at Target. Price 299.00. Size 36"". Fit the space perfectly. I am a single woman and installed tv myself. Light enough for me to carry. Instructions clear. I was a little apprehensive about hook up but was simple. I've had for 10 years and picture still sharp.

Original review: April 13, 2018

Purchased a Philips 50" 4000 Smart tv, keeps turning on when turned off, or tv just kept turning off & on. Will be 4th tv, they want me to put 50.00 until tv returned. Purchased at Walmart May 2017, someone put wrong price on tv purchased, they while be being put correct price, $378. + tax to replace a tv like it cost at least that or more. They want to refund what I paid for it, not the replacement price of same tv. I want $378.00 + tax, would not let me talk to supervisor.

Original review: April 9, 2018

The TV first says it's 401k smart TV. It's not any better than a regular 1080p TV from ten years ago. There is no HuLu so your kids can't watch their cartoons. Your wife can't watch Bachelorette and Chicago Fire and PD. I'm not happy with this TV. Don't buy this piece of junk. It will lock up, freeze, and you'll have to get it fixed.

Original review: March 13, 2018

After we turned on our Philips TV 47''LCD it worked fine for a moment. Then we heard a crackling sound and we noticed a bad smell and saw dark smoke coming out of the right top of the TV. Very scary. Did our consumers report similar problems?

Original review: March 4, 2018

Sam's Club Temple, TX - In December 2009, I received my newly purchased television, a 47” Philips television model number 47PFL7403D/F7 serial number YA1A0839011710. In December of 2010, I purchased a motorhome which then allowed me to be gone for 6 months out of every year. I say this because with the minimal usage that occurred during the period of ownership of your product, it failed in October of 2017. In other words, it failed with an equivalent usage of about 4 ½ years. This is not a reasonable length of time for a product to function given the cost of it.

I disassembled the television rear cover to find a fuse blown in the power supply. During my search for information regarding this problem, I came found a Youtube video which described the replacement of the power supply. I then went to eBay to buy a power supply board for the television only to discover that there were so many of these televisions failing that a company in Tucson, AZ had set up a program to repair and return power supplies to the owners of these failed TVs. I received the repaired power supply and reinstalled after which I attempted reinstallation of the rear cover when I had a problem inserting and tightening the 21 screws which are used to fasten the rear cover to the assembly.

Taking the back cover off again and looking at the areas, I discovered that many of the plastic cylinders into which the back cover screws are tightened had split, broken and were otherwise unusable for the purpose of fastening anything. This had to knowingly occur during the factory assembly of the product either by over torquing of the screw or faulty engineering of the plastic used or the plastic clearance hole itself was not of a proper size. I am extremely disappointed with your product and the apparent poor engineering and/or assembly of the parts. I have pictures which I took to try and properly explain the problems that I, as well as others in a similar situation, encountered.

Original review: March 2, 2018

It is very good brand, with big screen size, nice design/appearance, perfect value for this price, high and ultra resolution, incredible picture quality, 3 language (English, French, Spanish), smart and easy menu, set up, many options, settings, also as computer monitor works great. Working 5 days at least 6 hours with electronic devices, it is comfortable for my tired eyes. Love this TV! I totally recommend it!!!

Philips expert review by ConsumerAffairs

A leading manufacturer of televisions, Phillips is also a leader in healthcare, lighting and many other industries. Its TV models include LED, 4K UHD and Smart TVs.

• Picture quality: With 4K UHD and upscaling, laser backlight and extreme motion smoothness, picture quality is superior on Phillips TVs.

• Design: Bezel edges, razor-thin designs and cast-metal stands ensure these TVs are more than just practical; they're aesthetically pleasing, as well.

• 3D sound: Immersive sound makes the viewing experience more enjoyable. Two full-range speakers deliver crisp vocals.

• Smart TV: Wireless streaming is made easy through built-in apps, and you can stream virtually anything through your Miracast-powered device to your TV. The Smart TV is designed to handle upcoming 4K streaming services as well.

• Range of sizes: Philips offers TVs in a wide range of sizes, from 32 inches up to 65 inches, perfect for everything from kitchens to home theaters.

• Best for: Researchers, movie and TV connoisseurs, bargain shoppers and home-theater enthusiasts.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Philips TV Company Information

Philips
www.usa.philips.com
Your special offer awaits

Looking to save time and money? Join our community today! Community members receive important consumer news alerts and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands they love. Ready to join?

Sign up now with your email address!

Join our community to recieve important consumer news and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands you love.