2.41/5
Based on 34 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 18, 2018

998 Philips TV Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 18, 2018

I am very upset with his company. I purchased this Tv today. Unboxing the TV went very well, the TV was really nice, but during set up I get halfway through, and the TV shuts off and comes back on. So I proceed to try the installation process again 3 more times, and it does the same thing except the last time trying to install it it shut off and came back on and completely went to a black screen. So I called to see if they can help troubleshoot this TV. They try to hard reset it and the same thing happens.

The tv is still completely on a black screen. The TV won't turn off with the remote, you have to unplug it. They're telling me I have to go through the warranty process which can take 3 to 5 business days. It's a brand new dam tv. UGH I don't have that kind of time. I need a tv now. I have little children. I trusted my money with this company. I spent $842 on this tv. I did not wait the take 3 to 5 days to pay for it so why should I have to wait 3 to 5 days due to a warranty process.

Original review: May 10, 2018

I have had excellent experience, with this brand, in the past, and was always satisfied. I reviewed and viewed a number of different brands, before making my purchase but there is nothing like comparison, side by side. This brand meets or far exceeds many other brands. For the money, it also far exceeds other name brands. Cost-wise, always a good value.

Get expert buying tips about TV Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I bought my Philips Smart TV October 1, 2017 and on May 1, 2018 my television shut off and would not turn back on. I contacted the company and now seem to get the runaround. I sent in documents including my television receipt. I am now being asked to send the same pictures. I would not recommend buying any televisions from Philips. Buyers beware when you call you are speaking to someone with a strong accent.

Original review: April 26, 2018

Very easy to set up, it even gives you voice commands on what to do. You also have the choice to shut the voice off. I'm very pleased with this TV.

Original review: April 18, 2018

Bought at Target. Price 299.00. Size 36"". Fit the space perfectly. I am a single woman and installed tv myself. Light enough for me to carry. Instructions clear. I was a little apprehensive about hook up but was simple. I've had for 10 years and picture still sharp.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Philips?

Original review: April 13, 2018

Purchased a Philips 50" 4000 Smart tv, keeps turning on when turned off, or tv just kept turning off & on. Will be 4th tv, they want me to put 50.00 until tv returned. Purchased at Walmart May 2017, someone put wrong price on tv purchased, they while be being put correct price, $378. + tax to replace a tv like it cost at least that or more. They want to refund what I paid for it, not the replacement price of same tv. I want $378.00 + tax, would not let me talk to supervisor.

Original review: April 9, 2018

The TV first says it's 401k smart TV. It's not any better than a regular 1080p TV from ten years ago. There is no HuLu so your kids can't watch their cartoons. Your wife can't watch Bachelorette and Chicago Fire and PD. I'm not happy with this TV. Don't buy this piece of junk. It will lock up, freeze, and you'll have to get it fixed.

Original review: March 13, 2018

After we turned on our Philips TV 47''LCD it worked fine for a moment. Then we heard a crackling sound and we noticed a bad smell and saw dark smoke coming out of the right top of the TV. Very scary. Did our consumers report similar problems?

Original review: March 4, 2018

Sam's Club Temple, TX - In December 2009, I received my newly purchased television, a 47” Philips television model number 47PFL7403D/F7 serial number YA1A0839011710. In December of 2010, I purchased a motorhome which then allowed me to be gone for 6 months out of every year. I say this because with the minimal usage that occurred during the period of ownership of your product, it failed in October of 2017. In other words, it failed with an equivalent usage of about 4 ½ years. This is not a reasonable length of time for a product to function given the cost of it.

I disassembled the television rear cover to find a fuse blown in the power supply. During my search for information regarding this problem, I came found a Youtube video which described the replacement of the power supply. I then went to eBay to buy a power supply board for the television only to discover that there were so many of these televisions failing that a company in Tucson, AZ had set up a program to repair and return power supplies to the owners of these failed TVs. I received the repaired power supply and reinstalled after which I attempted reinstallation of the rear cover when I had a problem inserting and tightening the 21 screws which are used to fasten the rear cover to the assembly.

Taking the back cover off again and looking at the areas, I discovered that many of the plastic cylinders into which the back cover screws are tightened had split, broken and were otherwise unusable for the purpose of fastening anything. This had to knowingly occur during the factory assembly of the product either by over torquing of the screw or faulty engineering of the plastic used or the plastic clearance hole itself was not of a proper size. I am extremely disappointed with your product and the apparent poor engineering and/or assembly of the parts. I have pictures which I took to try and properly explain the problems that I, as well as others in a similar situation, encountered.

Original review: March 2, 2018

It is very good brand, with big screen size, nice design/appearance, perfect value for this price, high and ultra resolution, incredible picture quality, 3 language (English, French, Spanish), smart and easy menu, set up, many options, settings, also as computer monitor works great. Working 5 days at least 6 hours with electronic devices, it is comfortable for my tired eyes. Love this TV! I totally recommend it!!!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

I purchased this 43" Philips tv on October 22 /2017 from Walmart online. On February 19/2017 the tv malfunctioned bad, too numerous to go into detail. I called the Philips number and got an agreement that the tv was faulty and still under warranty. Their policy is to send pictures of tv, receipt, model and serial number. I did that twice but they want more. It appeared to me that this is the start of a ping pong game... I had no more.

So I went back to Walmart for some help, called the corporate office, the lady I spoke with was great. She gave me the phone number of the manufacturer Funai Corp 614 497 2689. I called left a message on the machine, this was on a Friday so I really don't expect a reply till Monday. I also found their email address Funai services. I sent, they responded with, "We will get back to you soon." By the way I forgot to mention the lady at Walmart Corp told me if Funai don't resolve this to call Walmart Corp again...that sort of gave me hope. I'll post the results when all this is over.

Updated on [03/01/2018]: I said I'd be back with the final outcome of my claim against Philips/Funai TV. Don't ever expect Philips to adhere to their warranty, it ain't gonna happen!!! Finally on 2/25/2018 I got back to walmart.com. They gave me a full refund, emailed labels for me to ship tv back to them at their cost, a great company. It's no wonder why they're # one. However from now on I will purchase the store's extended warranty. I did that with the replacement tv. It cost $30.00 for five years. Worth $6.00 a year to avoid one heck of a hassle... Hope this post helps you all.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

I purchased a Philips TV in October 2017. In Jan 2018 I receive an error message when attempting to view Netflix. I contacted Netflix. They assured me it was my tv. I contacted Philips. They are aware of the issue but however they aren't in a real position to correct the issue right away. 4-6wks to be exact. They claim their engineer team and management can't come up with the software to keep up with the software of Netflix. When stated I want my money back I was put on hold for 15-20 mins only to be told it'll be 4wks before I get my money back. Horrible brand. I won't ever buy a Philips again.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I can never connect to my internet. I literally turn on my Xbox next to it and use the same app, Netflix and it loads instantaneously but on the tv 4 out of 7 days I am getting an error code... Wtf. I thought Phillips was a good brand too but... not TCL or whatever. Ugh. Every device in the house has no problem. This tv is stuttering constantly.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

I purchased this Phillips 5000 series 55 in smart tv from Wal-Mart for my fiance as an early Christmas present and we are extremely dissatisfied. Have had the TV for 2 and a half weeks and it's shut off on its own about 10 times. The screen will also go black and we have had to unplug the unit, then set it up all over again! Several times the Netflix app doesn't work and I reset it and have to re-enter the login information again. Also the box claims to have 100+ apps on the TV but there's maybe about 40 and there is no way to add or download more! Which is misleading! We will be returning the TV and going with something else! The price looks nice but the product definitely isn't! And they intentionally misled the customers with saying the TV has more apps than it actually has.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

I recently purchased this 65 inch Phillips 4K Smart TV and it does everything I had expected and I am so happy with it I am going to purchase another one just like it for another room in my house. Worth every dollar I spent on it and I highly recommend it!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

Please do not invest in this garbage. After three days the Philips ultra 55 TV shut itself. Will not connect to WiFi. Picture quality has gone to crap, TV freezes and must be unplugged to work again. Customer support is nonexistent. Outsourced to India which obviously did not have training in speaking English or the product they are supposed to be supporting. Remote controller has stopped working. Apps are not downloadable when the spotty WiFi has a moment of clarity and does work. Software will not update keeps saying already updated.

Keep in mind laptop, phones, pc and other better smart TV are all working fine on same WiFi. Will still not work when all other items are not connected so I know it's the inferior TV I was fooled into believing was a good brand. Q wireless screencasting does not work. The TV will not find any source. HDMI1 port not working. All of this and it was fresh out of the box. Do not buy this failure. Please do not invest in this garbage. I just wish I could give less than one star in the experience.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

I recently purchased a Philips 55 inch television 55PFL5402/F7 from Walmart. The price was great $398. I've had this TV for 2 weeks now. When you turn it off and go to turn it back on, you have to unplug it from the outlet - and plug it back in, and give it a chance to reset to come on. It is a continual labor of love to watch this TV. I purchased a 3-year warranty for $36. But I decide to call customer service at the number in the brochure. The first person I spoke to I could not understand. The second person I spoke to claimed it was a DirecTV problem and would not let me speak to a manager.

I explained to him I plugged in my old TV (with the same possibility in mind), and there was no problem with that TV being turned on and off. He was very obstinate in the fact that there was nothing wrong with the TV and that the problem was mine -- so he hung up on me! I was shocked, but I called back anyway. The next person suggested that I dropped the TV transporting it to - or into, my home!!! I am returning this television to Walmart.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

Bought the Philips 55 inch 4K TV a few days ago brand new for about 400 dollars. Out of the box there is a software bug where when the TV is powered off in standby for a while and you come back and push the power on the remote, the TV starts to turn on showing by the indication of the status LED, begins the boot process, and crashes at a black screen. On occasion the TV has to be unplugged to get it working again. Tried updating to the newest software version but is says that the software on the TV is newer than what Phillips has available. Is this also a bug?

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

Bought a K 55 in. TV on Black Friday of 2016. Picture went out on it in July... You would think being a Philips brand TV it would last longer than eight and a half nine months. Very dissatisfied with this product and will not ever buy another Philips brand again. You tried to make a complaint with our customer service. Now you get his foreigners that can't speak English so it's like to take their business and their associates that can't speak English to another country because I won't buy nothing else from them.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

I bought a Phillips 55 inch 4k tv on Nov 24 2016 at WalMart. A few weeks ago it stopped working. I contacted Phillips. They gave me a number to call a service tech in my area. Long story short had to call back 3 more times and none of the service techs in our area deal with them. So I call a 5th time and am told they will contact their upper management and someone will email or contact me. I wait. They contact me yesterday and tell me they will ship me a new tv. However I must give them a credit card and they will place a 50 dollar hold on my card or I can ship my old broken tv and once they get it they will send me a new. However it will take 15 to 20 business days. I proceeded to tell them those options are not acceptable. Then they told me I can get a refund. However I will still have to return old tv first and I must wait 4 to 6 weeks for my refund.

It's a shame they do not care about their customers. First off the tv is only 8 months old. Second after 4 phone calls and them finally realizing they have no techs in my area they then think it's ok to ask me to allow them to put a hold on my cc. Oh hell no. I asked numerous times why I can't return it to WalMart and get a new one. They told me no and told me these 3 options are my only options. I think it's absurd you pay good money for a tv and they do not honor your warranty to the customer's satisfaction and do not care that as a customer I am highly disappointed and will never buy another Phillips product again.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

Horrible quality TV! 4K and network color has stopped working after only 6 months! Faces are greenish gold; reds are dulled and overall greenish tint on it now. Have tried to reset tints; color saturation, etc... Something has burned out or stopped working correctly... Have run into other customers in store had same problem within 6 months with same TV! DO NOT BUY! Cheap hardware installed... NOW since yesterday Wi-Fi has stopped working so cannot connect to internet anymore either! Piece of garbage! Have read many more reviews on here about same TV with same problems... Some good though. You just got lucky!

Original review: July 5, 2017

Black Friday LOL. Jokes on me. My girlfriend thought she was getting a good deal. This TV in no way compares to my 55" Samsung LED Smart HDTV. Philips is terrible. It's like the worst model you can think of. You can't download Hulu HBO NOW. She's stuck with only Netflix. The sound is horrendous. The picture isn't clear like Samsung. Customer service is a mess. "Well sir, there's nothing we can do for you." Just look at these APPS. LOL. I can't believe Philips put this product on the market. I'm just going to cut my losses and get her a better TV. I would highly suggest spending the extra money to get either a Samsung or LG. YOU WILL NOT BE HAPPY BUYING A PHILIPS 4K HDTV. Choose another company.

Original review: July 2, 2017

So now I have to compress 1.5 yrs of agony with my 55PUT6400/12 TV in a few sentences... First Philips TVs are not really Philips but TP Vision TVs who paid Philips to use its brand. So China TVs. Software updates for those TVs are made in India by people that really don't know what they are doing. All firmware updates have produced new bugs in the TV when they tried to repair the old bugs. Example one update made an audio delay so the TV was unusable. Philips needed 3 updates over half a year to repair it. Another update made bluetooth remotes not working anymore. Another update introduced off center picture. Another update made the TV shut itself down in standby after couple of hours and one needed to pull the power cord to get it starting again. Also one update made the TV turn itself on at 4 am.

I really think they make that deliberately or don't beta test the firmwares and let customers be the testers or they hired cheap labor monkeys in India to program that ** software I know of. Plus the TVs have been unstable all the time and have a life of their own in rebooting occasionally. Read the Philips support forum in English or German to see what **storm there is happening at any firmware update thread before buying Philips TVs.

Original review: June 27, 2017

I purchased the 55' 4K tv from Walmart on Black Friday the year of 2016. This tv is absolutely garbage! The screen lost all color within 5 months of use. Do not purchase. Not to mention the crap customer service that cares nothing about their customers. It's been over a month of repeatably calling CS and still no response. They tried offering a repair after the fact that I took my money to Samsung and bought a new beautiful 4K tv. I've requested for a full refund and Phillips is not willing to do so.

I'm only getting 50% of my hard earned money back. Do yourself and the world a favor and never buy Phillips. I highly recommend Sony, Samsung, or LG. Anything but Phillips. It seems that "upper management" is just kicking back and fine dining at Ruth's Chris and playing golf while your case is sitting at the bottom of a pile of default cases back at the office just waiting for the warranty to expire before they even take a look. Horrible company. Never again will I buy this name brand product.

Original review: June 9, 2017

Purchased the Philips 4K tv from Walmart. Lines across the screen started appearing. I did not purchase the Walmart warranty, so I have been having to deal with the Philips manufacturer directly. Big pain! Had to call several times, had to send pictures of screen on and off, they determined it had a bad panel. Finally got them to send me a box to ship it to them in. Only gave me 10 days to get it shipped to them (which was difficult, I am a older lady, I had to get someone to come get it off the wall and box it up, and drop it off at FedEx for me. Plus I travel for work and am only home 2 days a week). Was told once they received it, I would be mailed a check for the market value (not what I paid for it) in 10 to 15 business days.

They received my TV on May 16th, here it is June 9th, and still no check. Been told lie after lie, told 10 to 15 days to get me my check once they received my tv, so I called on June 1st, was told it would be here by the 9th. Called on the 9th, the first call they said it was mailed on the 6th, the second call with them they said it hadn't been mailed yet and that it should be mailed today, but it could take 5 to 7 business days before I get it and I would just have to patiently wait for it. REALLY! I have been patiently waiting for almost 30 days since they got my tv, so where is it? They have already lied at least 3 times to me, I have been dealing with this for over a month and a half - paying for cable tv, and I have no tv.

I finally found out today they are sending me 398 dollars instead of the 498 dollars I paid for it. Really, this constitutes customer services? This totally sucks and all they can say is sorry and there is no one to expedite my issue. A real company that cares about its customers would have shipped me a new tv and after I received it, I could have sent their "bad panel" tv back to them. But on second thought, don't think I want another one of their products ever again. At a minimum, at least pay me what I paid for it, compensate me for paying for cable tv for the past month and a half that I can't even watch, cause they got my tv and can't even manage to write a check to reimburse me what I actually paid for it. Horrible Horrible company - I would not suggest dealing with them - all they do is lie to you. I don't think I will ever get my (shorted) reimbursement check. I feel like I was robbed. If this is what they call customer service - someone needs fired.

Original review: June 9, 2017

I've been on the phone with customer support and I am still on the phone with them as I write this review. Needed a newer TV because my Vizio was crapping the bed. Got the newer 55 inch 4K TV and I have been on the phone with support for over 2 hours trying to figure out why my surround sound won't work on this TV. Not only does it not work, I was made to download a software onto a USB stick and then try to update the TV's software but it keeps saying it isn't compatible with my TV!! Are you ** serious??? I should be able to just plug the cables in that I did with my 65 inch Vizio Smart TV and it should just work!! The support person has had me do literally everything but to no avail. Back to Vizio when I actually have the money again... Worst purchase ever. Do not buy Philips 4K TVs. They suck **.

Original review: June 3, 2017

My 4K smart TV quit working after 16 months. I called customer support and after hours of wasted time all they offered me was a "deeply discounted rate on a new one". You fooled me once. You won't fool me again... Never will I buy another Philips anything. Buyer beware.

Original review: June 2, 2017

The Philips television is an American made brand I trust. Purchased four years ago and it still works well without any problems thus far. We enjoy the multiple features we have access to on this TV Set. The TV Picture color and features are decent and steady.

Original review: June 1, 2017

I am very pleased with my Philips Flat Screen TV. I have owned it for several years and have never had any complaints with it. I have also used other Philips products in the past such as DVD and VHS players and they have always held up to their standards. I would recommend Philips products to anyone.

Original review: May 31, 2017

I like that my television does not spy on me or my guests, yet provides an amazing clear picture and crisp sound. It works like it should, just the right size for the room and it has all the features that are necessary.

Philips expert review by ConsumerAffairs

A leading manufacturer of televisions, Phillips is also a leader in healthcare, lighting and many other industries. Its TV models include LED, 4K UHD and Smart TVs.

• Picture quality: With 4K UHD and upscaling, laser backlight and extreme motion smoothness, picture quality is superior on Phillips TVs.

• Design: Bezel edges, razor-thin designs and cast-metal stands ensure these TVs are more than just practical; they're aesthetically pleasing, as well.

• 3D sound: Immersive sound makes the viewing experience more enjoyable. Two full-range speakers deliver crisp vocals.

• Smart TV: Wireless streaming is made easy through built-in apps, and you can stream virtually anything through your Miracast-powered device to your TV. The Smart TV is designed to handle upcoming 4K streaming services as well.

• Range of sizes: Philips offers TVs in a wide range of sizes, from 32 inches up to 65 inches, perfect for everything from kitchens to home theaters.

• Best for: Researchers, movie and TV connoisseurs, bargain shoppers and home-theater enthusiasts.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs