Philips TV

Philips TV

Quit paying for costly home repairs

1034 Philips TV Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 18, 2019

2 weeks ago we switched on our TV and it started an automatic system software update installation. It got to the end of the progress bar and that was it - nothing (even left overnight). TV and remote control have been useless since - you now need to unplug power lead and when you power back on it does the same thing. Remote and USB connectivity no longer active. I have spent hours over past 2 weeks in contact with Philips support/product specialists, who initially pointed me to invalid website system files and then invalid support links whilst customer assistance acknowledged they were aware of issue.

It appears that whilst the TV was pushed into this global software update (to 'enhance' google app services etc) there is no central support persons that can assist to trigger engineer call out to resolve post their failure to implement. TV is in warranty as it's just 9 months old. I had shipped it with furniture to our home in Portugal where it was working fine until switch on during last visit. Supplier (AO.com) have been helpful but Philips supports just advise me to contact local Philips support and links offered to arrange same don't work.They will not take ownership. To this end I would warn anyone considering buying a Philips TV to query if S/W updates can be physically 'switched off' else there is chance Philips will burgle your home via a malicious internet sweep and frig up your TV like they've done mine!

Original review: March 18, 2019

I bought an expensive Ultraslim Philips TV 49" and after 4 years it malfunction, does not power up and red diode light is blinking. According to Philips it need repairs but they do not offer any repair because warranty has expired. A 900USD TV that stops working after just 4 years, that is very disappointing. I will never buy a Philips TV again.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Decent picture for LCD. Stop-gap to replace dead plasma. Nowhere near the picture quality, but also not near the price. It works for now. I will likely buy a larger, 4k model from TCL in the longer term.

Original review: March 7, 2019

We just purchased a 55in 4k 5000 series TV from Wal-Mart less than a month ago to replace our Hisense TV that was damaged in a move. We were up in the air on which brand to buy and were under the misconception all Smart TV's could stream wireless with a Wi-Fi connection. We were WRONG. We do not use cable TV, only Wi-Fi. We have never had a problem doing this before with our Hisense TV. (It even worked with a 3/4 of the screen cracked.) We have a Netflix subscription and use YouTube. We have never had a problem watching entire movies or even seasons of TV series in a single sitting. No buffering, no lost connection. Not so with this Philips TV. You might be able to watch 3 minutes MAX of a movie or even a Youtube video before it starts buffering. If you're lucky you might be able to connect again before you lose interest completely, but not usually.

Maybe I'm impatient, but 15 minutes or so is my deadline. Then I'm cursing the TV & myself for buying it. I'm currently at 30 minutes with no TV wifi connection. Yet I'm typing this using my wifi and it Works fine. I've checked all my other devices and they all work perfectly fine. I've called Comcast so it's not a connection issue. The wireless capabilities on a Philips TV are non-existent. It is the most frustrating experience to watch TV since we've purchased this Lemon. It has taken watching TV from a relaxing, wind-down activity to an experience so stressful it makes you want to rip your hair out.

Do not ever purchase this TV, especially if you ever plan to watch any kind of video or movie from Netflix, YouTube or any other streaming service. Our 50 " Hisense TV worked better BROKEN than this Philips TV does brand new out of the box. My Wi-Fi router is less than 3 ft from the TV, yet it can't maintain a connection? This TV is a LEMON with a CAPITAL "L". Do not buy it!

Original review: March 1, 2019

If Phillips is the last company on earth where you can buy a tv from, forget about watching tv. A friend bought one of their smart televisions for a Xmas gift for me. Less than a month later it died. Power would come on but no audio or video. Their “support” finally relented and said they would send a replacement. 2 weeks later the replacement arrived. The broken unit was packaged and ready to be shipped back to them. The new unit was set up and working for all of 30 minutes and then that one died. Same problem as the first one. Their “support” said to return one of the broken units and they would send yet another. So I have to lug this huge box to a FedEx and when they get it they’ll send another. I am expected to wait again!!! Send me a working unit NOW!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Philips?

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

My TV motherboard is damaged. Had bought it just one and a half year back by paying 40k. And now I am behind them following up with customer care from past two weeks. Call is not at all getting connected and no any mail response... Shameful product and shameful service. It is better to shut down this company if they have to provide this kind of shameful service. It's is just waste even if they provide warranty on the product. Please don't buy any product from this company. Because you won't get any kind of service if anything is damaged.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

Too many problems to list. Do not buy Philips... No web browser. No Facebook. No Google Play. No email. Can't add apps, locks up, slow, bad, no support, apps don't work. Just don't buy Philips HDTV. I hate my Philips TV.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I purchased my 55 inch Philips tv from Walmart Black Friday deal. In less than 2 years this tv went out. Called Philips. Very poor customer service!!! They refuse to stand by their product!!! They will stick with that 1 year factory warranty though!!! I wish they would stop making anything. $400.00 gone!!! I only gave it 1star so I could write this review!!! Don't purchase any products from this company. Nothing!!!Do not purchase a lemon tv like I DID!!! Don't give Philips your money, they have already taken enough from consumers!!!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I received the TV as a birthday gift in July 2017. We put it in our bedroom for late evening viewing, so it was only used a couple of hours each day. Last night we turned on the TV and heard a "pop". The unit was plugged into a surge protector, and we tried a number of things - plugging directly into the outlet, using the manual on-off, etc., to no avail. We chatted with Philips customer service who determined it was a hardware issue (which we pretty much knew already), and told us we were past the 12 month warranty, and because we didn't buy an extended warranty, the only thing they could do was give us a contact to a local (30 miles away). Very frustrating that a consumer electronics product from a reputable company would die in 18 months.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I have had many problems using this Phillips 4K Ultra H 4D. I have only been able to access Netflix once; most of the time it won't load, the icon just spins and stops loading between 25 to 93 percent. This is an app that comes with the tv, and I paid to subscribe to Netflix. I contacted my internet carrier to see if there was a problem there, but there was not. Currently, I am unable to watch tv shows, although I am able to on other devices. I can hear the sound, but no picture, and it continues to say, "Please wait." This tv has been nothing but trouble since I have bought it from Target. I am going to try to return it if it has not been three months since purchase. DO NOT BUY THIS BRAND.

Philips TV Company Information